Windows Support Forum

can't change computer type back to original type in device manager!

Q: can't change computer type back to original type in device manager!

so a few years back i read a magazine that said to change the type of computer in device manager to standard pc because it made the computer run a little better or faster so now i ve got my laptop and i ve noticed it type type device in manager! can't computer back original to change getting slower and thought that i would can't change computer type back to original type in device manager! do this VERY BAD MOVE i can still boot windows and everything - it meant that i had to let the computer reinstall all of can't change computer type back to original type in device manager! the drivers for my hardware - but i have noticed in the device manager now that there are two instances of standard pc there is also a new section titled other devices with about devices that seem to have no driver for them - some mention ISA so i am guessing that changing to standard pc means that windows thinks my laptop is now a desktop pc with ISA slots i find that when i put my laptop lid down the thing shuts down when i press the power button it turns off straight away doesn t even shut down i had had the laptop configured for ages to do nothing when i closed the lid and give me shut down options when i pressed the power button i look in power options and i can only cinfigure the monitor screen and hard disk power off options - every other option is not available when i do bring up the shut down options i can no longer choose standby i have also realised that i can not turn on my wireless connection - i ve tried all sorts to get it to work with no avail the laptop is an acer ferrari and when i call up the manager app it says that bluetooth and wireless are not present by the way i can still get the bluetooth button to work - correction - it starts up with the button on but if i turn it off it won t let me turn it on again the emanager and presentation manager buttons on the laptops casing don t work either i have to access them via software route my questions are is it possible that something is going on with the acer part of my system - with regards to the buttons and also the wireless and bluetooth can i change my computer type back to acpi uniprocessor pc yes it is compatible and will this solve all of my power option limitations other device entries have i got any of my suspicions right and is there anything i ve missed by the way - i really really really don t want to reinstall windows xp all over again because it has taken me about months and COUNTLESS hours to customise my system to a T i was hoping to get it perfect and then backup an image so i have a better starting block in the future if i reinstall the system i haven t got the windows install discs on me because they are at another location far away and i can t get them very easily at all - i do have an image to reinstall from however but it would take forever to recustomise everything again every bit of help is a life saver - thank you in advance even ideas are appreciated Steve nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: can't change computer type back to original type in device manager!

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: can't change computer type back to original type in device manager!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-change-computer-type-back-to-original-type-in-device-manager.589607/
Relevancy 99.76%

I set up an Outlook account on a new-to-me laptop I had been Is device? default type type of deteremined email by account unable to download email for several months since I didn't have a computer I had been saving the emails I wanted to keep and had planned on downloading them into my new computer After setting up the account it appeared the system automatically downloaded Is default email account type deteremined by type of device? all of my email from the server I know this is default behavior which I turn off So I went through that process double-checked to see that all the email was downloaded and went out to my server I discovered that what I thought were copies of the emails were left on the servier I didn't want that to happen I dug around to find the location that I have used many times to do this and couldn't remember or find the location to make this change So I came to Seven Forums I saw the step-by-step instructions go to the account select it click change click advanced and uncheck the box that says quot Leave a copy of email on server quot When I went to the advanced dialog box for changing accounts I discovered there wasn't any such box I dug around some more decided to subscribe here and ask why mine was different In the mean time since all the email was downloaded to my computer I went back out to my server deleted all the email and purged the trash Then I went back to my Oullook and discovered all the email that I had quot downloaded quot was gone After digging some more and callling my ISP service desk I discovered that I had set up an IMAP account rather than a POP account There was no place to change this in this account so I deleted the account and went through the process again When I got to the account type the only types showing were IMAP and exchange There may have been another option but the important thing is that POP was not one of the options Down at the bottom of the screen was a checkbox to allow custom set up I checked that and discovered there the POP choice I clicked that and the account behaved as I want deleting copies of emails from the server as they are actually downloaded I have set up several Outlook accounts on various computers before This is the first time I have ever had this happen I have never seen the IMAP as a default before but this is also the first time I have installed it on a laptop Was it this way BECAUSE I was adding the account on a laptop There was another account on the computer which I deleted and it was a POP account so it wasn't some sort of previous setting that just followed over All I know for sure is that having this as default cost me a bunch of time and effort and some extremely important emails Any feedback besides quot Pay closer attention to what your various screens say when you are setting up an account dummy quot

A:Is default email account type deteremined by type of device?

Hello Hagridore and Welcome to Seven Forums!

No, I don't believe the problem is because it is a Laptop.
Email can be very confusing to setup with the different protocols such as POP3, IMAP, and MAPI.

Referring to "Outlook" can be confusing, as it can mean different things.
Outlook may mean the MS Office Outlook client email program, or an Outlook.com email address.
MS has created confusion here imho.
When you say "Outlook accounts" do you mean email accounts in the Outlook client program, or Outlook.com email address's, or both ?
What email client program are you using, such as MS Office Outlook, MS Windows Live Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, ... ?
Also fwiw, for WEB (online) access, Hotmail accounts are being converted to the outlook "WEB format" now...just to make it more fun

From what I know, setting up an Outlook.com (or Hotmail) email address with IMAP does not work without a 3rd party paid solution.
MS uses their own proprietary MAPI protocol (or POP3) for hotmail/outlook email address's accessed in a client program.
If it is possible to use an Outlook(Hotmail) email account with IMAP in a client email program, I would like to know how!

When I delete a POP account (Windows Live Mail) I get a warning about messages that might be lost...
Did you get a warning message when you deleted the POP account?

edit:
I just looked at this again, and see it's in the Office forum.
So, can I assume you are using MS Office Outlook on all the PC's?
If so, what version(s)?
Also, who is the email provider such as Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, MS, ...?

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/283902-default-email-account-type-deteremined-type-device.html
Relevancy 97.61%

Hi, I accidently set a .xwm file type to open with Windows Media Player. I need it set as an unknown file type to open with its proper program. Any suggestions?

A:Change Back To Unknown Application Type

Right-click the files > Open With > Choose default program...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/248132-change-back-unknown-application-type.html
Relevancy 96.75%

I have a ECS A790GXM-A (no tweaks) and and AMD 940 Black Edition processor. I had the original BIOS and just updated it to the latest version. Both show in device manager as AMD and processor type unknown. I just tried the chip in a ASUS motherboard (ASUS M3A78-T) same AMD 790 chipset and loaded the drivers from the ASUS cd and the processor shows up correctly and runs a awful lot faster than the ECS board. Anyone experianced this? Is there a problem with the board?

A:Phenom 940 not showing Processor type in Device manager

It's recommended to update the BIOS then install Windows (not the other way around)
Obviously confirm all system drivers are up to date
Or do a Repair on Windows

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/part3.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/part3.htm

Vista Repair:
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winvista/index.htm (index page)
http://vistahomepremium.windowsreinstall.com/repairstartup/repairstartup.htm (guide)

This is why posting more info helps

For further help: Please put your System Specs information in your Profile

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/phenom-940-not-showing-processor-type-in-device-manager.121879/
Relevancy 96.75%

Display properties can't detect 2nd monitor via MDP-VGA adapter even though Device Manager recognizes it as a Dell P2210 after plugging it in and installing a driver for it
2 monitors are showing in Device Manager - Generic PnP and the Dell
Should the Surface 3 display show as Generic PnP?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/438011-surface-3-what-monitor-type-should-show-device-manager.html
Relevancy 95.46%

A few day a go while installing winrar themes my .rar icons changed to alcohol

Even after changing icon by file manger type or file type editor doesnot reflect in windows explorer.I already cleared the explorer and thumbnail cache and restarted my pc .But changes made is visible in propeties.

Please ignore the spelling mistake.Please help me.

A:.rar icon doesnot change even after using file type manager or similar

See if this tutorial will help you out Open With - Change Default Program

Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/302670-rar-icon-doesnot-change-even-after-using-file-type-manager-similar.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Hey all I have spent the weekend trying to figure out how to change my account user changed to back account Main type guest, can't change type back to administrator but with no luck I have been running this laptop as my main machine for a few months now with no problems however I realised I had a problem when I wanted to change some networking settings on Friday when the UAC said I needed admin privileges and wouldn't let Main user account type changed to guest, can't change back me enter a password or click quot Yes quot hence not allowing me to go any further I went to control panel gt User accounts and saw my account type has been changed to Guest Now I have thought long and hard and I have not changed or had any need to change my account type to guest nor has anyone else had access to my laptop so I can only assume this has been done in the last week or so during a Windows update I'll tell you what I did to try to resolve this below First of all I tried to enable the hidden administrator account while in my account by running command prompt as admin and then entering net user Administrator active yes but as I don't have admin privileges I couldn't even open the command prompt so I couldn't get any further After reading around the net and this forum I found this thread and gave it a try After restarting the laptop and booting into safe mode I was expecting to see and Administrator account next to my account at the log in screen however there was only the administrator account to choose from so I clicked it and it went through the first time initialisation of the account and then showed me the start menu I then went to run the command prompt as admin and it worked I entered net user Administrator active yes which worked with no problems I then went to the user accounts in control panel to quot Manage other accounts quot but my usual account was nowhere to be found So I thought I'd restart the laptop and see what happens out of safe mode When it restarted I was still only presented with the admin account so I logged in to disable the hidden by entering net user Administrator active no in the command prompt run as admin and then restarted After restarting again I was expecting to see my account but was still presented with only the admin account but when I clicked on it it said it was disabled and I was completely locked out of windows Luckily I created a restore point so I managed to restore my settings and was back at square one After a bit of testing it seems my main user account is being removed when I enter safe mode but do nothing else I have no idea why entering safe mode is removing my account I am at a bit of a loss as I can't seem to activate admin privileges on my account but if i try to fix it I lose my account completely I did find this thread but I can't find the download link for Hiren's boot cd If anyone has any help fixes or advice I'd really appreciate it as I don't really want to restore my laptop to factory Even if I do restore it to factory will this problem happen again Any help would be absolutely great Cheers Mark

A:Main user account type changed to guest, can't change back

You could try option 2 from here Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

Hirens you can download from here Download Hiren?s BootCD 15.2 | HBCD Fan & Discussion Platform but I'd try the administrator method first

Good luck

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/46162-main-user-account-type-changed-guest-cant-change-back.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I some how changed file type .dst to open with Corel Draw. I need to change it back to unknown application. I am operating with Windows 10. I have tried going through control panel/default programs/ however it forces me to pick an application, no option for "unknown application".

A:Change default application back to "unknown" for file type of .dst

Hello, and welcome to Ten Forums.

If you like, you can download and merge the .reg file below to unassociate .dst files.

Unassociate_dst.reg

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/60616-change-default-application-back-unknown-file-type-dst.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I was looking at the content of some .com-playback file types using the "open with" command and then selecting VLC player. Unfortunately I accidentally had the box ticked to open all files of this type with VLC from now on.

The files were originally designated as being opened with an "unknown application". I can set these files to be opened by default with any program, but as it is not on the list how do I change it back to open with "unknown application"?

And now the .com-playback file types cannot be opened again as it used to.

Any advice appreciated , thanks.

A:file type Change back to "unknown application"

Hi korchi, Welcome to Seven forums.

1. Click the "Start" button, type "cmd", and press "Enter" while holding the "Ctrl" and "Shift" buttons. This runs the Command Prompt as an Administrator.

2. Click "Continue" in the confirmation window. If you are not currently logged in as an administrator, enter the administrator password.

3. Type "assoc .EXT=" in the Command Prompt window, replacing "EXT" with the actual file extension. Press "Enter" to remove the file association.

Or you can try to make changes in registry. Only do this if you are comfortable with registry editing.

1. Click the "Start" button, type "regedit" and press "Enter" while holding the "Ctrl" and "Shift" keys.

2. Click "Continue" in the confirmation window, or type the administrator password, if requested.

3.Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes" in the Registry Editor. Right-click the extension under "Classes," select "Delete" and click "Yes" in the confirmation window.

4. Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExt." Right-click the extension under the "FileExt" folder in the left-hand pane, and select "Delete." Click "Yes" in the confirmation window.

5. Test that the association has been removed by double-clicking it from Windows Explorer. If it opens an associated program, then continue the procedure. If it asks you to choose a program, then the association has been removed.

6. Hold the "Ctrl" key and press "F" to search the Registry. Enter ".EXT", replacing "EXT" with the actual extension, and press "Enter." Right-click any folder from the right-hand pane that is named after that extension, and delete it. This step may be unnecessary, but some programs place additional entries in randomly named folders.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/318473-file-type-change-back-unknown-application.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Hey hows it going?

Just recently, i found out that i have been infected.
Now the situation is that, i am networked to the University network.
I ran ad-ware (in order to remove my spyware, and recently left the ad ware watch to open at start up.
When i realised that i had a spyware, i typed "killbox" ( a program which i used previously into google) within seconds my computer resetted. Odd i throught. Than my homepage changed, and i tried to change it again. No luck.

Can anyone help me out?

I will post my Hijack logs, when i get home from school.

A:computer keeps resetting when i type killbox in google, also cant change home pageURL

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-keeps-resetting-when-i-type-killbox-in-google-also-cant-change-home-pageurl.490019/
Relevancy 85.14%

Is there a way to determine the type of original installation from the product key Example I get computers for troubleshooting repair that have the COA on the side top and I determine way Product A of original t Key?? type from installation the need to set up A way t determine the type of original installation from Product Key?? the OS from scratch because the OS is too malware infested for cleaning I have several kinds of installation disks here full version retail box retail boxed upgrade OEM Academic etc etc and the owner has no OS disk The only way I have determined this in the past is to simply load one after the other until I find the one the product key works with Is there a way to determine ahead from the product key which CD is required Unless you are a licensed attorney a member of the Bar in your state and you specialize in software copyright issues please don t sidetrack this thread with legal issues We have the COA attcached to the case and there is nothing illegal about this nbsp

A:A way t determine the type of original installation from Product Key??

Since the COA is stuck to the side of the case, I'm betting this is an OEM copy. I've never seen the COA in that form for a retail copy. I have a few retail copies of XP-Pro here, and the COA is firmly glued to the box, and there's no way I see of getting it off.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-way-t-determine-the-type-of-original-installation-from-product-key.562456/
Relevancy 84.28%

We have this upload functionality in our application that allows only pdf,xls and txt files to be uploaded.
How can i know whether a user has renamed an exe file to txt(or pdf or xls)file and tried to upload it?
Currently,if a user performs any such trick,app throws error as 'Invalid file type',but the user shows us the file(with renamed ext) and claims it to be of proper ext.
Any inputs??

A:Check original file type after renaming extension

One way would be to check the version tab of the file's properties. txt, pdf, and xls files will not have this tab while most exe files will. It will usually identify the original filename.

If you want to do this or something similar in the application you should ask in the programming forum.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/check-original-file-type-after-renaming-extension-594999.html
Relevancy 80.84%

I haven't figured out how to get rid of it.. i don't see anything I set in ease of access.  it's making like s a squish sound every few letter i type.  it doesn't do it like for every letter.  it's not when i touch the mouse pad either.  please give me some ideas on how this happened..??

A:Inspiron. I don't know what settings I screw up on but when i type I hear like a squishing sound on every so many letters i type.

Always include your model name and number as well as the operating system when posting a question. Also include a clearer explanation of the problem.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19682841
Relevancy 80.84%

To Whom It May Concern or anyone willing to help About - weeks ago guesstimate I started getting a random window popup at various times while browsing online The semi-odd thing about it is -same type of popup on both ie amp my & a popup type on chrome find Unable & now grrrr started! ie, to new adware-type both Chrome browsers - I hadn t downloaded installed anything around then I havenot been able to find their source - Have not found any scan malwarebytes Panda pcpitstop Unable to find adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, & now a new type started! grrrr etc that seems to locate it nor does my Winpatrol The popup windows vary in advertisers but most frequent is for the game quot Big Farm quot They are always fullsized page amp open in a new window not just a new tab without my regular menu Unable to find adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, & now a new type started! grrrr toolbar etc on top I did notice a little icon right before the url it shows at very top clicked it amp got a menu-thing showing the permissions of the settings etc amp I could click to view cookie data in which I was thinking quot yippee I got it quot lol I can quot remove quot amp quot block quot however each time I can make sure I do all of the however it doesn t seem to help because in a little bit quot poof quot it comes up just as before Of course it can get irritating Now as of days ago I ve suddenly gotten a new amp BIGGER annoyance Quite often especially when I open my browser amp go to do anything such as switch sites pages open history etc I get a blackish popup come down about over my page and has a video box which seldom starts amp if it does play a video it doesn t ever start to play for at least seconds amp below video has a button that says quot SKIP AD in or seconds quot amp then counts down to usually a quot playnow quot amp quot download quot button shows where video screen was then I can hit the skip button amp it goes away So far I haven t been able to get the video nor the buttons etc to actually take me anywhere or do anything even I think the video is usually using jwplayer It also happens just the same nomatter if I m using Chrome or ie Any clue If I had an idea of their name or source I should be able to find some sign of their existence in regedit but I don t seem to find any indication anywhere including at top or bottom of screen when they open The two types of popups do not look or act anyway similar related P S I also have checked my extensions etc in each browser amp in my programs Thank you very much for your time amp assistance HOPEFULLY I got this all done posted right HiJackThis Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Unknown Windows WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files x Pinger Pinger exe C Program Files x FreeAlarmClock FreeAlarmClock exe C Program Files x BillP Studios WinPatrol WinPatrol exe C Program Files x mail com MailCheck IE mail com MailCheck Broker exe C Program Files x Yahoo Widgets YahooWidgets exe C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files x HP HP Software Update hpwuschd exe C Program Files x Yahoo Widgets YahooWidgets exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files x Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files x Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Windows SysWOW DllHost exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files x Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Users Christopher Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page https www google com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink p LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Pa... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-find-adware-type-popup-on-both-chrome-ie-now-a-new-type-started-grrrr.1124144/
Relevancy 80.84%

About - weeks ago guesstimate I started getting a random window popup at various times while browsing online The semi-odd thing about popup source Unable both chrome of on adware-type & type! find a ie, to new now it is -same type of popup on both ie amp my Chrome browsers - I hadn't downloaded installed anything around then I havenot been able to find their source - Have not found any scan malwarebytes Panda pcpitstop etc that seems to locate it nor does my Winpatrol The popup windows vary Unable to find source of adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, now a new type! in advertisers but most frequent is for Unable to find source of adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, now a new type! the game Big Farm They are always fullsized page amp open in a new window not just a new tab with no toolbar etc on top Of course it can get irritating Now as of days ago I've suddenly gotten a new amp BIGGER annoyance Quite often especially when I open my browser amp go to do anything such as switch sites pages open history etc I get a blackish popup come down about over my page and has a video box which seldom starts to play for at least seconds amp below video has a button that says SKIP AD in seconds amp then counts down to then I can hit the skip button amp it goes away It also happens just the same nomatter if I'm using Chrome or ie Any clue If I had an idea of their name or source I should be able to find some sign of their existence in regedit but I don't seem to find any indication anywhere including at top or bottom of screen when they open The two types of popups do not look or act anyway similar related P S I also have checked my extensions etc in each browser amp in my programs Thank you very much for your time amp assistance

A:Unable to find source of adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, now a new type!

Hello angelgabbby I would like to welcome you to the Malware Removal section of the forum.Around here they call me Gringo and I will be glad to help you with your malware problems.Very Important --> Please read this post completely, I have spent my time to put together somethings for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier, faster and smoother for both of us!Please do not run any tools unless instructed to do so.We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability.Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post.Please read every post completely before doing anything.Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process.Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the "Follow This Topic" Button, make sure that the "Receive notification" box is checked and that it is set to "Instantly" - This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster.NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of heartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer.NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.These are the programs I would like you to run next, if you have any problems with one of these just skip it and move on to the next one.-AdwCleaner-Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click on Scan.After the scan is complete click on "Clean"Confirm each time with Ok.Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.-Junkware-Removal-Tool-Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".The tool will open and start scanning your system.Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.When they are complete let me have the two reports and let me know how things are running.Gringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/530996/unable-to-find-source-of-adware-type-popup-on-both-chrome-ie-now-a-new-type/
Relevancy 80.84%

So lately i found this nifty lil Twitter app that comes with Windows 10 But when i click a tweet with a vine retweet or such it gives me an error saying "Unsupported Video Type Invalid File Type" Has anyone been using the twitter app lately and are getting the same error?
-Cheetha

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/43686-unsupported-video-type-invalid-file-type-windows-10-twitter-app.html
Relevancy 80.84%

About - weeks ago guesstimate I started getting a random window popup at various times while browsing online The semi-odd thing about it is -same type of popup on both ie amp my Chrome browsers - I hadn't downloaded installed anything around then I havenot been able to find their source - Have not found any scan malwarebytes Panda pcpitstop etc that seems to locate it nor does my Winpatrol The popup windows vary in advertisers but most frequent is for the game quot Big Farm quot They are always chrome new now adware-type both to type! on find ie, popup Unable source & of a fullsized page amp open in a new window not just a new tab with no toolbar etc on top Of course it can get irritating Now as of days Unable to find source of adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, now a new type! ago I've suddenly gotten a new amp BIGGER annoyance Quite often especially when I open my browser amp go to do anything such as switch sites pages open history etc I get a blackish popup come down about over my page and has a video box which seldom starts to play for at least seconds amp below video has a button that says quot SKIP AD in seconds quot amp then counts down to then I can hit the skip button amp it goes away It also happens just the same nomatter if I'm using Chrome or ie Any clue If I had an idea of their name or source I should be able to find some sign of their existence in regedit but I don't seem to find any indication anywhere including at top or bottom of screen when they open The two types of popups do not look or act anyway similar related P S I also have checked my extensions etc in each browser amp in my programs Thank you very much for your time amp assistance NOTE the st time I ran gmer it fried on me amp restarted computer so I ran it with the quot sections quot clicked I saved the ark then I reran it again but with the original options amp it ran ok that time so I saved its ark also amp named it quot ark quot Im posting them both I hope that is best Ark txt sections c drive selected Ark txt the normal choices

A:Unable to find source of adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, now a new type!

cginn73,

Hi and welcome to TSF.

I am currently reviewing your logs. Please note that this is under the supervision of an expert analyst, and I will be back with a fix for your problem as soon as possible.

If you haven't already, please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

Please be patient with me during this time.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/unable-to-find-source-of-adware-type-popup-on-both-chrome-and-ie-now-a-new-type-823929.html
Relevancy 79.55%

How do I search a directory for a file type, and have it only show files that aren't that file type.
For example, searching a directory for only .jpg, and have the search only show files that are not .jpg, such as .txt, .png, etc.

Relevancy 79.55%

Hi
Windows 8 hypervisor hyper v is bare metal hypervisor. And vmware workstation is not. So will the new any difference between these two in terms of performance on a Windows 8 machine?
Is there any article document contrasting these scenarios?

A:Performance comparison of type 2 hypervisor vs type 1 hype

A simple web search should give you plenty of information.

http://www.eightforums.com/virtualization/30179-performance-comparison-type-2-hypervisor-vs-type-1-hype.html
Relevancy 79.12%

hey guyss..i have problem with my computer....all my icon change to Windows media player and all target type change to EXE File...what should i do.....plzzz...
#sorry for my bad english..
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit sp1

2 gb ram

A:All icon change to WMP and all target type change to EXE File

Hello Kechik Crew, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If you like, you could do a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened to undo and fix this quickly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/337645-all-icon-change-wmp-all-target-type-change-exe-file.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Since about weeks both laptops startup extremely slow whereby the ZG is slower than the P -M 15" P273-M type type Travelmate and 5742ZG 17" wit... It can take more than minutes before the ZG responds on mouse commands in a Travelmate 15" type 5742ZG and 17" type P273-M wit... normal way The P -M is quicker but also significantly slower than before Both laptops react in a similar way during startup CPU and RAM usage drop off after a few minutes but there remains nbsp a high level of disk I O on both laptops After the harddisk I O becomes normal both laptops operate in a normal way for the rest of the time Both laptops I have upgraded to Windows a few months ago and both worked ok My impression is Travelmate 15" type 5742ZG and 17" type P273-M wit... that after the latest Windows update to build startup has become so slow Checked Taskmgr on harddisk activity at Travelmate 15" type 5742ZG and 17" type P273-M wit... startup and found the following same for both laptops Service Host local system network limitations Service Host local service network limitations Service Host local systemare responsable for disk I O of to during to minutes at every startup Both laptops are cleaned regularly by running Privazer Also the list of startup programs in Windows auto start is very limited No virusses and malware found Also used Windows Problem Solver but nothing found Also done nothing special with both laptops indicating to me it has something to do with the Windows update s Does anyone has an idea

http://community.acer.com/t5/Travelmate/Travelmate-15-quot-type-5742ZG-and-17-quot-type-P273-M-with/td-p/405818
Relevancy 78.26%

I have 2 router one is a thompsons speed touch (wire) and the other a linksys(wireless) and i cant get the ps3 to connect to the internet properly everytime i try i get nat type 3 (that is limited connectivity) so if anyone know how to configure the router so i wont have that problem please help

A:Solved: How to get from nat type 3 to nat type 2 using two routers one wired other n

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-to-get-from-nat-type-3-to-nat-type-2-using-two-routers-one-wired-other-n.788709/
Relevancy 78.26%

I am using Chrome m -bit Windows Home Premium Service Pack I haven't done a thing to my computer and now I in HELP Firefox Chrome, yet Google PLEASE! in type type anything can Can't I.E. can't type into Google Chrome Omni Box Incognito or any other part of Chrome Even this message had to be done in a word document and cut amp paste here I tried my backup browser Firefox and it also has the same problem Yet when I go to my last resort IE it works fine I turned off all my extensions and add on and it still didn't work I reset Google Can't type anything in Google Chrome, Firefox yet can type in I.E. HELP PLEASE! Chrome by using Reset Settings and nothing I downloaded a new Google Chrome and still the same problem I tried to go back on my Windows using System Restore yet this didn't work as the possible earlier dates said the files were bad I tried to add another search engine under settings yet I can't type into any of the Chrome boxes I ran Malwarebytes AVG Sypbot Kasperay home scan and nothing was found I ran the Google Clean Can't type anything in Google Chrome, Firefox yet can type in I.E. HELP PLEASE! Up Tool and nothing I can access Word Pad I have msftedit dll on my system C Windows System I use AVG for my anti-virus Windows Firewall and OIbit Malaware fighter I went to Google conflicts and it said no conflicts See the results at the bottom of the page I am using Chrome m -bit Windows Home Premium Service Pack I haven't done a thing to my computer and now I can't type into Google Chrome Omni Box Incognito or any other part of Chrome Even this message had to be done in a word document and cut amp paste here I tried my backup browser Firefox and it also has the same problem Yet when I go to my last resort IE it works fine I turned off all my extensions and add on and it still didn't work I reset Google Chrome by using Reset Settings and nothing I downloaded a new Google Chrome and still the same problem I tried to go back on my Windows using System Restore yet this didn't work as the possible earlier dates said the files were bad I tried to add another search engine under settings yet I can't type into any of the Chrome boxes I ran Malwarebytes AVG Sypbot Kasperay home scan and nothing was found I ran the Google Clean Up Tool and nothing I can access Word Pad I have msftedit dll on my system C Windows System I use AVG for my anti-virus Windows Firewall and OIbit Malaware fighter I went to Google conflicts and it said no conflicts See the results at the bottom of the page Here is the info on Google Chrome version which I'm using Google Chrome Official Build m -bit Revision e e b edc a a ad dc ae e fd-refs branch-heads OS Windows Blink e e b edc a a ad dc ae e fd JavaScript V Flash User Agent Mozilla Windows NT Win x AppleWebKit KHTML like Gecko Chrome Safari Command Line C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end Executable Path C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Profile Path C Users John AppData Local Google Chrome User Data Default Variations b d d-afba f fb fc - f a df c bc -f a cdd eadf-ca d d ba f da-ca d d f a - d f f ebbd - f a df f c c -ca d d dca- f a df e c f -e c cd c ba-ca d d f cb b- d f f b - e d a ea a -ecbb e d b a - d f f e - cf a aa da - a e de -ca d d ce f - dd dbffab d-ca d d d aa- a e f ae a- c ad ac - e a c f c- bbed aae -d f b c ed d -e cc f f f a -d f b c e b - ad e e - ad ab - f a df Compiler MSVC Modules loaded into Google Chrome This page lists all modules loaded into the main process and modules registered to load at a later point Modules - No conflicts detected Software Signed by Version Location Microsoft Office Shell Extension Handlers Microsoft Corporation commonprogramfiles microsoft shared office msoshext dll Shell Extension -- Not loaded yet Microsoft Windows Live ID Namespace Provider Microsoft Corporation commonprogramfiles microsoft shared windows live wlidnsp dll Kaspersky Lab programdata ka... Read more

A:Can't type anything in Google Chrome, Firefox yet can type in I.E. HELP PLEASE!

I bet it has something to do with this:

Zemana AntiLogger Free Zemana Ltd. 1.8.2.320 c:\program files (x86)\keycryptsdk\keycrypt64(1).dll 

Try disabling/uninstalling it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/619603/cant-type-anything-in-google-chrome-firefox-yet-can-type-in-ie-help-please/
Relevancy 78.26%

Since about weeks both laptops startup extremely slow and 5742ZG 15" type type 17" wit... Travelmate P273-M whereby the ZG is slower than the P -M It can take more than minutes before the ZG responds on mouse commands in a normal way The P -M is quicker but also significantly slower than before Both laptops react in a similar way during startup CPU and RAM usage drop off after a few minutes but there remains nbsp a high level of disk I O on Travelmate 15" type 5742ZG and 17" type P273-M wit... both laptops After the harddisk I O becomes Travelmate 15" type 5742ZG and 17" type P273-M wit... normal both laptops operate in a normal way for the rest of the time Both laptops I have upgraded to Windows a few months ago and both worked ok My impression is that after the latest Windows update to build startup has become so slow Checked Taskmgr on harddisk activity at startup and found the following same for both laptops Service Host local system network limitations Service Host local service network limitations Service Host local systemare responsable for disk I O of to during to minutes at every startup Both laptops are cleaned regularly by running Privazer Also the list of startup programs in Windows auto start is very limited No virusses and malware found Also used Windows Problem Solver but nothing found Also done nothing special with both laptops indicating to me it has something to do with the Windows update s Does anyone has an idea

http://community.acer.com/t5/Travelmate/Travelmate-15-quot-type-5742ZG-and-17-quot-type-P273-M-with/td-p/405818/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 77.83%

Everytime Mcafee runs, it finds a number of infected items (50-70). My system is running slow. It is acting like I have some type of spyware or other virus.

Can someone help me diagnose and fix my issues?

Thanks,
Adam

Relevancy 77.83%

I'm trying to free up some space on my hard drive and am looking for programs that I don't need/use. I'm not even sure when I installed Adobe type manager or where it came from. Can I uninstall without major problems to my system? I am running windows ME.
By the way, exactly what does the type manager do? I've never used it. Thanks a lot.

A:Adobe Type Manager

Hiya

This is about Adobe type manager:

http://www.adobe.com/products/atmlight/main.html

I don't like uninstalling Adobe products, myself. They seem to cause too many problems.
As for clearing your hard drive, have you emptied your Tempory Interent Files lately? Tools | Internet Options. General tab. Under delete Files, DON'T delete offline content

Also, empty your temp folder in windows.

Maybe someone else has some info on Adobe's product. Mind you, its usually Acrobat that the trouble is with. Have you still got the downloaded program somewhere?

Regards

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adobe-type-manager.58936/
Relevancy 76.97%

So I got a new motherboard for my computer last night and I was setting everything up. Everything was going swimmingly until I noticed that I only had 10MB available on my C: drive but I had almost a TB on my D: drive. I tried merging them by deleting all
volumes and I have my D: drive unallocated (1TB space not being used) but my C: drive is stuck in a dynamic type so it cant merge with my D: drive... help?

New motherboard - MSI Gaming 970
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ec43668c-da4f-40e8-982e-fea404406761/i-cant-get-my-drives-back-to-basic-type-help?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 76.97%

he Tcursor is jumping back when I type so I can't write anything without having to chop and change it- it's driving me nuts. Is it a virus?

Relevancy 76.97%

Hi,
Having a problem. What seems random, although I not it does not seem to happen mid sentence, is that I try to type, for example in an address bar, or FB chat, or any other place (I think), and no text appears, I can change the cursors active field, but still no text. If I switch programs (alt tab) and back again, I can once again type. This can happen from ~ once a week to many times a day.
Any ideas and suggestions welcomed.
Thank you.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/36862-randomly-cannot-type-programs-until-alt-tab-back.html
Relevancy 76.97%

When I first setup my computer I made the mistake of installing one of the video cards as a Multimedia Controller Now I m trying to fix the problem a couple months later and everytime I try to re-install the video card windows recognizes it as a Multimedia Video Controller In Device Manage the card is listed under quot Changing Device Type? Sound video and game controllers quot instead of Display adapters Since I first installed the card months ago I am unable to use system restore to fix the problem I ve tried going through the registry and Changing Device Type? I found what I think I need to change delete somehow It is under HKEY LOCAL MACHINE System Enum however windows won t let me change remove it Is there anyway to change the Device Type or to make Windows not recognize the card as a Multimedia Video Controller so that I can install the drivers for the it as a display adapter Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-device-type.290700/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hello,

A:Device Type Problems

Hello,

I am having a problem with my CD & DVD drives....originally I had lost them after installing some software. But after many hours I was able to recover them.....now the problem I am having is that under Device Manager they are showing up as
Device Type: Unknown.

I'm having problems now with some programs I utilize because they can not locate the drives because the device type is Unknown and these programs won't let me chande their drive location settings.

Does anyone know how I could change the device type on this back to CD-Rom?

I already uninstalling, but that didn't do anything.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/device-type-problems.100438/
Relevancy 76.97%

I am not sure I'm posting this in the right place. Part of my uncertainty comes from the failure of my searches to produce anything resembling an answer to my question. This is not a question about Windows 7 but rather a question about how this web site operates.

My user profile contains a setting that says I should get daily notifications for threads to which I have subscribed. For some reason, I have this one thread for which I have instant notification set. The FAQ says I should look at my list of subscriptions and I will be able to change the subscription type from that screen. But I don't see any place for changing an instant notification to a daily notification for a single thread.

Help . . . (extreme low priority problem, this one)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/384153-change-subscription-type.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Connecting to my Access Point (WEP, Shared Key) works fine, but the network type becomes PUBLIC in the Network and Sharing Center and I cannot change it, it is read only there! My computer is not part of a domain but a member of a workgroup.

I need to change the network type for the above WiFi connection to WORK/HoME.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

A:How to change the network type?

Yea m having the same problem...
any help anyone!!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/7311-how-change-network-type.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I would like to change my account from standard to administrator, but my account isn?t visible
in "manage accounts".
I have tried both from my standard account and from my administrator account.

A:Not able to change my account type

Hello Anvandarin, and welcome to Eight Forums.

If the standard account is not listed while trying to change it's type using the options in the tutorial below while signed in to your administrator account, then.....
User Account Type - Change in Windows 8
....double check to make sure that the standard account has not been disabled.
User Account - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/34984-not-able-change-my-account-type.html
Relevancy 76.97%

hello everyone

I would like to change an MP4 file to a file that i can play on my DVD player
can this be done and if so how can i do this.

regards calmat

A:change file type

You have to create a DVD-Video. You can do that with Windows Media Center, Nero (Nero Vision), Roxio, etc.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/296775-change-file-type.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi.

I use windows XP for my system. But some times change type of my files.
I scaned system. No virus.

Do you can help me ? if run a program who recovery registery problems
in windows can solve this problem ?

for example my Excel file (omid.exl) change to omid.tmp .

A:Change File Type

.tmp is a temporary file extension. How does it change? Are you saying you save your file in My Documents or wherever, and a few hours later, you come back and its magically changed to .tmp?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/change-file-type-254916.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi Guys,I have a bitmap image, and want to change to JPEG.
Did know,but memory escapes me.
Remember PAINT being mentioned.
Thanks for any tips.

Windows XP Home SP3.

A:Change File type Help.

Yes, MS Paint can do it. Open the file in MS Paint. Then click File > Save As. Under the file type, set it to JPEG and save the file with a name.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/236831/change-file-type-help/
Relevancy 76.97%

last week i asked you techies how to change back my file associations because i used a file compressor that i did not like (and i removed) but changed all my files to this type(.cmp) well now that is fixed because you guys told me how to "open with.. shift + right ms btn" but some of the files are still considered .cmp files they were .mp3 how do i change the file type back to .mp3 so i can use my win player

thanks, you people are the greatest!

Relevancy 76.97%

hello, i just bought a second hand laptop. it's almost a year old. but it does work well. my only problem is i want to constumize most of its setting, like login type, login password, wallpaper but it does not allow any changes and also it prohibits update of my operating system and other programs. it has a windows XP profesional service pack 2 OS. prior to my purchase of the laptop. it was use in a company and it is part o a domain. that is why everytime i change settings it is looking for the domain for changes to take effect. how can i override the domain or what ever i can do. without reformatting my laptop? thanks a lot

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-my-login-type.763873/
Relevancy 76.97%

[Windows 8.1 x64]

Hi

How do I change just the *name* of a file type - i.e. without changing the default program?

For example in Windows Explorer my Excel files are called "Microsoft Excel Worksheet". And my Word files are called "Microsoft Word Document".
However is I make the "Type" column in Windows Explorer narrow, then for both types of file all I can see is "Microsoft..."
[This is *profoundly* unhelpful - what arrogant vanity by Microsoft! Do they ever actually run usability trials on this stuff?]

So although I still want .XLSX files to open with Excel I want to change the name / description that appears in the Type column to just "Excel Worksheet" (or possibly "Excel Worksheet (Microsoft)" or similar)

Thanks

Relevancy 76.97%

I have saved 200 family photos on a CD-RW, but I am unable to e-mail them using either Outlook Express or IrfanView. Apparently the reason is because they are all designated as Type: Microsoft Picture It! Document. I find that I am only able to send them using Picture It!, but I prefer using Outlook Express when sending pictures.

I presume there's an easy way to change these files to another type which would allow me to send them using Outlook Express and IrfanView. I would greatly appreciate help with this matter.

Thank you,
Bill

A:How do I change a file type?

wgreene,

Maybe just zip them up and then attach it to your email. But if they are the Microsoft Picture It! .MIX format the person you email it to will need Microsoft Picture It! to open them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-change-a-file-type.77399/
Relevancy 76.97%

I bought Vista x64 because of the free upgrade to Win7. After I updated I found that my two admin accounts were no longer admin, but standard. To make a too of a long story shorter, I was able to create a new admin account using net user adminitrator, but when I tried to make the other two accounts admins, the change button was grayed out.

After much Googling and a lot of help, the problem still existed. The assumption was to repair the system but but since it was an update dvd and not a full version DVD the only option was to update again and, of course, that didn't work either.

My question, finally, is Is there a registry entry that I can change/add that will allow me to fix this issue?

A:Admin not able to change UAC type

Hi there, as you said that you were able to login to the real admin account, could you try creating a new admin account and delete the old worn out accounts?

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/38200-admin-not-able-change-uac-type.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I have bought a new computer with Windows 7 Premium Home 64-bit OS pre-installed. I made the mistake of specifying my keyboard type as US during the initial setup. I need to change it to Japanese type. I followed the steps mentioned in the help documentation to select the desired keyboard type after clicking the Change Keyboard button on the Keyboard Settings window. But it did not work. I am unable to enter Japanese text through my keyboard. Kindly help!

A:How can I change the keyboard type

Step-by-step:

1.) Click your Start Orb
2.) Click Control Panel
3.) In "Category" mode, click "Change Keyboards or other input methods" below Clock, Language, and Region
4.) On the small screen that pops up, click the "Change Keyboards" button
5.) Near the middle-right side of the next screen that pops up, click the "Add" button
6.) Find Japanese, click the "+" sign next to it.
7.) Click the "+" next to "Keyboard" and check the checkbox next to Japanese
8.) Click OK.
9.) On the next screen, change your default input language at the top, and once again, click Ok.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/200979-how-can-i-change-keyboard-type.html
Relevancy 76.97%

When signed in as an admin, how can I change another user's account type from local to Microsoft? I saw how to change my own. Thanks.

A:Change another's account type

Hello Alant,

You would need to currently be signed in to the account that you want to switch. You cannot do it from within another account.

Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/70005-change-anothers-account-type.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi there!
I've got a single jack headset that I plugged into a Dell Inspiron of some time with Windows 10 installed. Back when I had Windows 7, every time I plugged an audio device into the jack it would pull up a list of different audio devices so I could choose which one I was using. Does this exist in Windows 10? How do I find it?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19981889
Relevancy 76.54%

Hallo,

I am not sure what I pressed on my keyboard, but somehow my Task Manager ended up looking as you can see from the picture below, without its menus. How do I get it back to its original state?

Thank you for your help.

A:How to get Task Manager back to its original screen

Press Ctrl+Page Down several times until you see the network traffic graphs.

Double click on one of the graphs.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/391620-how-get-task-manager-back-its-original-screen.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi everybody :wave:. Thanku for all ur help so far and i hope u can help me on dis 1! well, I have win xp sp2 (AND VISTA!! DUAL BOOT!) and the icons seem to have messed up. Since I installed vtp7 (unistalled it) then installed brickopack vista, then uninstalled it, i can't change the icons back to normal xp icons again! Has anybody got any ideas on how to do this? Also, I have used loads of software to change icons but none seem to work and unfortunately when i installed the transformation pack i didn't make a backup file of shell32.dll file :dead:. Here's a thought: can you somehow post the shell32.dll file on the website so that i can download it?? if so PLZ do! thanku for any help in advance .

A:Can't change icons in xp back 2 original

hmmm.

Have you tried installing the file from your xp cd? You could also try the windows repair tool.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-change-icons-in-xp-back-2-original.91915/
Relevancy 76.54%

I accidentally change all default programs (firefox, internet explorer, EXE only files) into a different icon (utorrent) now, my programs dont function probably. How do i change it back to how they were so i can use it?
so if i open internet explorer, it opens to utorrent and says iexplore.exe:torrent is not valid bencoding

A:How do I change the icon back to original? PLEASE HELP ME?

Welcome aboard

Download teh registry filse for .exe and .lnk from the link Default File Type Associations - Restore and double click to merge those in the registry hive.

Let us know if it worked or not.

At the same time, uninstall utorrent, Run SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker , and then you may reinstall it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/236185-how-do-i-change-icon-back-original-please-help-me.html
Relevancy 76.54%

well i got a question actually i dont even know if it has anything to do with the topic but, i dont know how , i change the default program for all the programs in the pc , including interent explorer, google chrome and practicly all, the icon also change, it is the one of the default program which i change them all to ... my question is, how do i cange them back to the original program they were?

A:How do I change icon back to original?

Hello Himmcr, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You could do a system restore using a restore point dated before you made this change to undo it and hopefully restore the icons back to default.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/138443-how-do-i-change-icon-back-original.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I have the Sims on my computer and have recently discovered how to download custom stuff for it Initially however I could not get it to work and in my frustration I decided why not it couldn t hurt and changed what the downloaded files opened with I realised eventually that I simply hadn t clicked the enable custom content button in the game The files still work in the game because I did not change the file extension but now in the folder they all have the same icon not the piece of paper with the box and six dots inside it Unfortunately I later discovered that some files need to be doule-clicked to install properly but now whenever I double-click on them the program I selected out of the list with the unchangable Always use this program to open the selected type of file button it opens with that program instead How do I revert it to the unknown program piece of paper with box and six dots nbsp

A:Changed file type - can't revert back

If you right-click the file, there will usually be an option under 'Open' that says 'Open with...', select that, and you can pick the program from a list.

Otherwise, click Start->Control panel-> Folder Options, and select the 'File Types' tab. Then, just click the file extension you want to change, hit the 'Change' button, and then hit 'Select program from a list', and you should be able to change it.

Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changed-file-type-cant-revert-back.630984/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi,

I'm trying to save podcasts to my hard-drive, but when I click 'save as type', my system shows the message .mp1 document instead of .mp3. Do you know how I can change this back again to allow mp3 downloads?
I've never had a problem downloading podcasts before, and I think I may have inadvertantly 'done something'...
Could it be a possible problem with Itunes (I never download directly from there)? If so, how do I alter the 'settings'?
Thanks and Merry Xmas!
Craig

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/revert-back-to-mp3-when-clicking-save-as-type-327189.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I need some help, I have Windows Vista and when I am typing e-mail the active part moves back like three words automatically. So I am typing and then what I am typing gets moved back I have to go back and edit the e-mail to make sure that the words are in the correct order. Can you help me????

A:Mouse keeps clicking back words when I type!!!!!

First try using a different mouse and keyboard...if it is a peripheral device issue then you will just need to replace your mouse or keyboard. Also try using different usb ports for the devices...sometimes a usb port can be shot causing this reaction.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mouse-keeps-clicking-back-words-when-i-type.848375/
Relevancy 76.11%

Ok so what i need is a download manger or something that will say get all the .pdf files from a website, even if it has to follow link down several layers.

What i need it for is people will ask use to print plans or projects from websites, but they have each part stored in different 'folders', and on one particular one you have to click on each file name, then it takes you to a new page what it says, click here to download. Saving 50 files individually is not something we want to do.

I have used flashget in the past, but it wont go and get all the files, just the ones that are directly linked from the web address i give it.

Anyone have an idea where to get a piece of software, preferably free , that does that.

A:Need a download manager that will get all of a certain file type off a website

What you are talking about is called spidering, and
some websites have become savvy to software that tries to do what you wish to do, building in blocks agains spiders or "bots".

I cannot vouch for any spider software currently available; the one package I once used, years ago, I think was for Win98.

Use Google and you will find some possibilities though.
Some have shareware options, which others will allow a try before you buy download.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-a-download-manager-that-will-get-all-of-a-certain-file-type-off-a-website.129909/
Relevancy 76.11%

My task manager appears and disappears when i key ctrl+alt+del. It didnt start doing this until i clicked a link in AIM "new pictures from the beach". I know that's a virus and am not sure how to fix that either. They may be related? How can i fix this?

Relevancy 76.11%

Hi there!

I'm using Adobe Type Manager to manage all my fonts in my computers. I have the same software at my job and the same fonts (and on XP).

I recently installed the same software on my new personal laptop (PC Dell XPS).

When I try to install a .pfm fonts, I get an error message says "Invalid fonts". But I know that that font works great at my job.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Satiss

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adobe-type-manager-invalid-font.831977/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello all I've tried everything I could think of to get this working so I figured it's time to ask the masses to help I just purchased a Vivitar Infinite BH Bluetooth Headset Model V -PDQ-OD and on my Windows machine the connection has been successful however I am unable to use them as a headset My Gateway All-in-one is reading the headset Device Type as a Peripheral Keyboard I have a Device Type issue Bluetooth screen shot Vivitar Screenshot Troubleshooting pdf The small yellow marks mention the device type and the fact that I have selected the PC to use the Bluetooth Device Type issue this device for audio Hell even in the system tray volume control one of the sound control options is a Bluetooth Speaker and I have that selected The headset informs me that it is paired from an automated voice after pairing There seems to be no reason for these not to work I have tested them on my cell phone and they work wonderfully would love to get this working properly on my PC Any help you can provide will be appreciated

A:Bluetooth Device Type issue

It should show up as a Virtual Keyboard device if you are using it for Speech to text. If you are showing problems, I would suggest checking to see if Vivitar has a driver update.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/69091-bluetooth-device-type-issue.html
Relevancy 76.11%

What type of device is Fan and heat sink is it a Input output or Storage Device?

A:What Type of Device is fan and heat sink

hardware - is this a homework question?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-type-of-device-is-fan-and-heat-sink.1156434/
Relevancy 76.11%

is there a way to change file type thumb nails (if thats what there called)?

for eg .flac and .cue file types have the same icon, how would i change one of those ?
thanks

A:change file type thumbs

Hello Max,

You might see if you may be able to use either option in the tutorial below to change the icon displayed for the file extension.

File Extension Icon - Change Default Icon

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/256183-change-file-type-thumbs.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I've already tried several things here.

Default programs> Set your default programs > (Program name goes here) > Choose defaults for this program.

Even though Firefox is already registered with file types such as: .html, .htm, .ftp, etc, it won't let me uncheck them as well as for other programs.

I don't want to change the Firefox associations, though.

I've also tried

Default programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program

To no avail either.

FileTypesMan didn't help much of either.

It appears third party software and the usual method, aka Default programs, can no longer change some file type associations so easily now.

Any help here?

Windows 8 Enterprise x86

A:Change file type associations?

"assoc" and "ftype" in a command prompt will show you a lot of info.

Find the association and then use the default editor to change things.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/24635-change-file-type-associations.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Ok here's what i did. i tryed to change the icon of my drives by going to windows explorer and clicking on tools|folder options|file types| ok then i slected the drive file type and changed the icon. (that went well NOT) so the icon didn't change but the action the drive file type does did. when ever you double click on my C: drive it opens the windows search files and folders. i understand that i just change the action for this to something new so that i will open the aproprate drive contense. i just dont know what the command line is. please help i feel like an idiot i have been working on computers all my life and now i feel like a real newb. this problem is more of an inconvience than anything else.

A:drive file type change

Hi se7en9057

Try this, in windows explorer click Tools/Folder Options and File Types.
In the "Registered file types:" window hi-light "Drive" and click Advanced.
In the "Edit File Type" window click "New".
In the "New Action" window type Open in the Action: field.
Click "Browse"
Browse to explorer.exe, select it and click Open. (Probably in C:\Windows)
The path to explorer.exe should be in the "Application used to perform action:" field.
Click OK.
Back in the "Edit File Type" window hi-light Open and click Set Default.
OK and Close.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/drive-file-type-change-23175.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I want to change the default icon of .7z, 7-Zip, files but I have forgotten how. I have done it before with Tune Up Styler but the .7z option is not there.
I want to use this icon.
7-Zip logo.zip

A:How do I change a file type icon?

Gary I think it is icon #2 in imageres.dll.
What does it look like now?

Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/265901-how-do-i-change-file-type-icon.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hey there A few times a to Unable change network type year I go away from my home station and take my tower and laptop with me As Unable to change network type my tower doesn't have a wireless adapter I connect to the the internet by plugging it into my laptop and sharing it's wireless connection It's all been fine up until now I've just plugged the ethernet cable between laptop and PC but the network has come up as Unidentified and has made it Public and as such I can't access the internet from my PC surfing fine here on my laptop though it's the LAN connection that's giving me issues I've no idea why it's doing this as in the past it has worked fine I can't seem to change the network type as clicking on it only allows me to change the name and icon not the type It might be interesting to note that viewing the network from my PC it is a Home network but my laptop seems to think it's Unidentified Can anyone clue me on on how to fix this please as this issue has never cropped up before - CableDolt Ninja-edit Both machines are running Windows Home Premium -bit

A:Unable to change network type

Welcome to the Seven Forums.

Maybe this info will help
Windows 7 Network connections are stuck in Public mode

Edit: Doh - I see that you were able to click the link, so that is probably not the issue. I'm still hunting for the info that I saw on this once.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/246504-unable-change-network-type.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I was playing around on my computer with regedit.exe, I found file type .exe and clicked it. There were two files (looks like a piece of paper torn in half with red letters "ab" on it), I right clicked the first, went to modify, and changed the value from "exefile" to "C:\Users\Stewy\Pictures\green.ico" just to see what would happen. Then, I logged off and back on, and all my .exe files looked like the default file icon (just a piece of paper), and when I clicked them, nothing happened. I only got on the internet through a shortcut to a website I had previously made. When I right-click the .exe files, and go to properties, then the details tab, it says "Type: C:\Users\Stewy\Pictures\green.ico", how can I change it back to" exefile" if I can't open regedit.exe?

Thank you,
Stewy

A:How do I change file type of all .exe files?

Give this a shot:
Default File Type Associations - Restore

Might be good to back up your registry first. Just in case things get worse instead of better. But I've seen posters use this tutorial with success. Shouldn't be a dud.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/263087-how-do-i-change-file-type-all-exe-files.html
Relevancy 76.11%

i just got this laptop and it was used. just want to change the username, but it will not let me. i've gone through the control panel, user name change, and when i do, it says that i cannot have a name with "$#@* etc., which i obviously don't have in the name.
i've tried setting up a different administrator account, and it gives me the same error saying it has an unacceptable character.
any ideas?!?

A:cannot change user name or account type

Try using the administrative account through safe-mode.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-change-user-name-or-account-type-337990.html
Relevancy 76.11%

how do i change an associated type file icon?
well, at first my .torrent file shows exactly like bittorrent.exe icon, but somehow now it changed
can you teach me how to chnage it again?

A:How do i change associated type file icon?

Hello peacepod,

Double check to see if Bittorrent is set as the default program for your .torrent file types.

Default Programs - Set a Program's Default Associations

OR

Default Programs - Associate a File Type or Protocol

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/284263-how-do-i-change-associated-type-file-icon.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I have just installed You tube downloader but when I save the you tube clip to my computer, I comes out as an FLV file type. Can anyone tell me how to change the FLV to WMV. I have the full version of Nero and have upgraded to IE8{which incidently is as good if not better that Firefox}

A:Change file attachment type

<Not able to help with utube >
Please see here
http://forums.techguy.org/digital-photography-imaging/839527-solved-screenshot-youtube-video.html

http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/750640-youtube-videos.html

we cannot help with this activity

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-file-attachment-type.874604/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi there,

I am currently having an issue with icons not displaying on Windows 10, I also cannot change the folder layout as it is grayed out as you will see in the snip it below.

For some reason Adobe PDF icons still display but all the others are just folder icons or the generic gray page icon.

Please help!

A:Cannot See any Icons or change View Type

Hello faceoffaith7, and welcome to Ten Forums.

You might see if rebuilding the icon cache may be able to help.

Icon Cache - Rebuild in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/39057-cannot-see-any-icons-change-view-type.html
Relevancy 76.11%

On my new Windows 8 machine, every time I put an audio CD into the disk drive, the Power DVD program starts. THis is MOST ANNOYING! I want audio CDs to launch Windows Media Player so that I can rip them to the hard drive. If I go to Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Associate a File Type with a Program, there is NO LISTING in there for .cda files, which is what compact disc audio files are. Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Thanks for any and all advice!

A:Change File Type Association?

Control Panel - Auto Play - CD's - Audio CD

AutoPlay - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

I think that should take care of it. I think the Power DVD is the installed default.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/42683-change-file-type-association.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi, my friend is having this problem... All icon change to WMP also with the target type....It affect exe,msi, and all files before this not associate with WMP.... Can anyone know how to to this.... BTW even system restore alson not work even in the safe mode....

Is this some kind of virus, because when scanning there is no virus.... Hmmmmm solution please?

A:All icon change target type to WMP

The fastest way would have been to do a system restore. If that is not working, looks like something is screwed up in your machine. Have you scanned with malwarebytes antimalware?

In any case, see this tutorial and try out the steps.

Default File Type Associations - Restore

If that doesnt work, try fixing your user profile.

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/75798-all-icon-change-target-type-wmp.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Is there a way to set up an additional admin account to have full admin rights without having to "run as admin" on everything?

A:Account type change problem

Turn off UAC. I don't recommend it though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/9742-account-type-change-problem.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello, my GF have a Pen driver with around 16 gb of 32 GB occupied, with folders fill of pictures of all her life, and here is the problem, some how (I believe it was a virus), one day all of the folder or must of then had been changed to "File" type, and i couldn't find anyway to open then again as "Folder" type, if anybody could help to change back to folder ill really appreciated it please !!

A:How can i recover a or change File type?

Try method 1 here:http://www.asoftech.com/articles/fi...Avoid the other methods.Whether or not it fixes it, pop back because I think we should at least run some basic malware checks (an anti-virus often misses malware).Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanksmessage edited by Derek

http://www.computing.net/answers/security/how-can-i-recover-a-or-change-file-type/40072.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Well, that's the problem, I can't change icons for file types.
I've used several programs (IconPackager, vista visual mester) but nothing happened.
Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening?

Thanks.

A:Can't change file type icons

Quote: Originally Posted by malakias

Well, that's the problem, I can't change icons for file types.
I've used several programs (IconPackager, vista visual mester) but nothing happened.
Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening?

Thanks.

M

we could use alot of info about your computer.. 32bit, or 64? clean install, or upgrade, etc

I assume by fyle I think you mean file type. what do you want to change them to?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/29058-cant-change-file-type-icons.html
Relevancy 76.11%

My audio files have all been loaded to itunes on my PC and I was able to update the audiobooks to the audiobook media type without a problem. All music & audiobooks are stored on an external drive. When I created the itunes library on my Macbook pro, I can change the media type in itunes for music files, but cant change the media type for the audiobooks. I do NOT have iTunes Match or Genius on.

When I look in the Finder window, the audiobook files show as CUSTOM ACCESS, but I can't find anywhere to see what this access is.

All music and audiobook files are on a Netgear readynas nv+2 network drive.

How do i get these files updated for itunes to see them as audiobooks?

TIA,
Marge

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-change-itunes-media-type-on-mbp.1119486/
Relevancy 76.11%

I installed an evaluation copy 3rd party of an HTML iFilter. The eval period has expired and I can't justify the cost of getting a full license, so I uninstalled it.

How can I get back to having the standard HTML iFilter indexing HTML files, at the moment I've set it to plain text - but that's not working for me. I know the standard HTML iFilter is doing its job, because if I rename a .HTML file to .HTT then it gets indexed and shows up in Search as I would anticipate it would.

Thanks PJD

A:How to change the IFilter for a file type

I fixed it - copied the persistent handler that was being used by HTT to HTML and HTM and Indexing options reports that they're being indexed by the native HTML iFilter - and it seems to be working.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/309348-how-change-ifilter-file-type.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Spent the last hour trying to find out how to do this.

A:How do you change the default folder type?

hello brycea and welcome!

maybe this u mean Folder Template - Default

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/73853-how-do-you-change-default-folder-type.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate, Recently I installed Registry cleaning application.
After cleaning my registry I am not able to set any "Type of View" in Windows Explorer.
Details is my default view, I am able to change it into any but as soon i press back / refresh its set back to Details View Again.
Is there a Way to solve this?

A:Unable to change Type of view

Yuk! TSF does not support Registry Cleaning software. I would uninstall that software.
There is no telling what that program has done to your registry.
I hope someone here has a better suggestion.
Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/unable-to-change-type-of-view-977601.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I'm new at the forum and I have a problem:

I installed hamachi to create a VPN between desktop home and laptop, but I accidentally set the Hamachi Network to Public, so I cannot access from the other device, I have read that I need to enable the option to change the network type.

I have already tried by right-clicking network, but HAMACHI network doesnt appear in the list as it is a virtual device.

I hope you can help me to solve this.

Thanks

A:Activate Change Network Type

To change the network type please do the following:
Hit Winkey + R to open Run prompt and type gpedit.msc

Navigate to: Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Setting | Network List Manager Policies

Choose your Network name from the right pane.

Go to Network Location tab and change the Location type from Public to Private.

I hope it helps !

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/23316-activate-change-network-type.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello everyone!

A week ago I decided create a homegroup. I wanted to change network type to Home on one PC with Windows 8.1.

The issue is, when I open Network and Sharing Center and click to Work Network, it doesn't click and lettering is black there.

I tried to change network type to Public first and from this point change it to Home, by disabling Network Discovery and Common Access for files, so Network Type became Public. However, I still cannot change it's type also from Public, as lettering is black.
So I turned Network Discovery and Common Access for files back and network type automatically changed back to Work.

The question is can I switch network type to Home for that PC?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b8c0dc01-f8ed-4aed-b33c-a6dd3ea0b12c/cannot-change-network-type-to-home?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 76.11%

I want to change a file type association manually, but when I do, I no longer have the "Advanced" button available to change the file type icon. I get a Restore button instead. This seems like a simple problem, but I can't find a solution. I don't want Windows to keep track of file association history. I just want to change them.

Has anyone else run into this?

Relevancy 75.25%

Hi I have pop up error message Unable to cast object of type System Boolean to object 'System.String'" to Solved: Unable type type cast 'System.Boolean' to of type System String quot comes up every Solved: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Boolean' to type 'System.String'" time windows started So Solved: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Boolean' to type 'System.String'" I check the msconfig if some start up software has error but I couldn t find anything I unchecked all start up application and reboot it but still have error message So I go event viewer then I found the error happened in the same time I start up the windows so this might be the one This is info for error I got Log Name Application Source WMI Event ID Level error Event filter with query quot SELECT FROM InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN WHERE TargetInstance ISA quot Win Processor quot AND TargetInstance LoadPercentage gt quot could not be reactivated in namespace quot root CIMV quot because of error x Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected Is there any way to fix this error so that pop up error might stop Thank you nbsp

A:Solved: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Boolean' to type 'System.String'"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-unable-to-cast-object-of-type-system-boolean-to-type-system-string.1084910/
Relevancy 75.25%

Computer running Win 8.1.  Have run Malewarebytes, super anti spyware, avast anti virus, adaware, rkill, and hitman pro.  Mainly finding tracking cookies.  IE at times when I go to google from my home page type in a search it redirects me back to my home page instead of showing the search results.  At times it only takes a few keystrokes from typing - have to restart to get it to work again.  Runs very slowly. No errors that I can find but it will not behave correctly - please help.

A:At times cannot type, IE redirecting back to home page

Reset Internet Explorer.Download MIcrosoft FixIt file from here: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9646978You can use ANY browser to download "FixIt" file.Double click on downloaded MicrosoftFixit50195.msi file to run the fix.Make sure you follow ALL steps listed there.Windows 8/8.1 users. Reset IE manually: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737?wa=wsignin1.0 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/595557/at-times-cannot-type-ie-redirecting-back-to-home-page/
Relevancy 75.25%

hi all .....
what kind of discs should i invest in that would be best to image / back-up my system?
(double layer, not being an option)

A:Solved: what media (type of discs) should i use 2 create back-ups?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-what-media-type-of-discs-should-i-use-2-create-back-ups.900356/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi I'm trying to watch a movie with my headphones for best sound experience But when I open up Realtek HD Audio Manager and try to change Realtek Surround Cannot Audio HD Type Switch Manager the settings from Stereo to Speaker the program freezes has a black box on top and then changes back to stereo It would also sometimes go blank as in all I see is the program and the colored background but there won't be any more images and options Then also I'm unable to hear audio from my headphones when trying to change the setting The button that let's me test the Realtek HD Audio Manager Cannot Switch Surround Type audio also doesn't work in the Realtek HD Audio Manager Cannot Switch Surround Type manager anymore after this Now after a bunch of tries I got it to be Speaker The sound was better but I couldn't hear people's voices So after the big headache I decided to switch back Realtek HD Audio Manager Cannot Switch Surround Type to Stereo But now it freezes for a few seconds and go's back to and I loose audio from my headphones I tried switching to but the same problem So at the moment I am stuck at sound without audio and unable to switch My bluetooth speakers work when I connect them though note with my bluetooth speakers it does not give me any options to switch the sound type Yes my drivers are up to date I just checked I never had this issue before but it is REALLY annoying especially since I just want to sit down relax and enjoy a movie Please can anyone help me Edit Well now it fixed itself But I would still like to know if anyone has any insight on what happened I spent like mins trying to figure it out and could not fix it

A:Realtek HD Audio Manager Cannot Switch Surround Type

No idea but I wondered is your headset 7.1? Even then mine doesn't show as 7.1 (logitech g35) but manage it through Dolby (not home to actually see it).

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/375878-realtek-hd-audio-manager-cannot-switch-surround-type.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Does anyone know of/how to get a command-line interface for Adobe Type Manager?

I need to install fonts using this method so there is no interaction needed by the user. Adobe Tech support is very expensive to even ask this simple question and they offer no info, period, without PAYING them for the priveleage of asking the question, even though I am a registered user of their product (how nice and friendly of them!)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Shaun

Relevancy 75.25%

Let's say we have some service account alerts for an account test123. If we choose dismiss/resolve, and then the same account and/or same resources are continuing the bad behavior will new alerts be generated or once dismissed/resolved they are ignored.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a4c33401-e42d-42e9-bead-76af68d9c2a2/dismissresolve-will-something-in-the-same-typedevice-alert-again?forum=mata
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi,
I recently bought a Samsung T3 SSD, which has a USB type-c port and comes with a USB type-c to USB 3.0 (type a) cable. After some messing around with UEFI, secure boot, et. al I finally managed to install Ubuntu 16.04 on this external SSD and have been happily using it for some weeks now (i did not want to repartition my 512GB ssd in the 9550, not enough free space).
If I press F12 when the laptop boots up, the external SSD shows up in the boot menu, it just works.
To get an additional type-a USB port I bought a (well rated, not cheap) type-c on type-c USB cable. To my surprise the SSD will not show up in the 9550's boot menu when using type-c.
I already changed bios scan mode to 'thorough' like suggested elsewhere, without success.
What can I do to boot via type-c?
Thx!

A:XPS 15 (9550): Unable to boot from USB 3.1/Type-C Device

I'm writing this on a Dell XPS 15 9550 tlhat booted from and is currently running Ubuntu 16.4.1 from the USB-c port.
My solution is inelegant, but faster than any USB thumb drive I have tried.  I am using a StarTech USB 3.1 (Type C) cable that converts to SATA III on the other end where I have a 120GB Kingston SSD connected.
Obviously, I can only use this at a desk or table, but I have yet to find an acceptably fast USB thumb drive.  I'm thinking about doing this from an SDHC or SDXC drive now if I can verify that
a) the 9550 can boot from SD
b) Ubuntu 16.04.1 can see and boot from the SD interface.
I'm pretty sure both are true given the little research I've done on the matter so far.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19976519
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi there!

I used many different file types each day, specially those related to image editors. I have many .psd and .ai files (documents for Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator). However, since I use other programs (GIMP and Inkscape), these files look pretty ugly. They are a white sheet of paper with low resolution GIMP/Inkscape logo. And that is awful

I think I did something with W7 like messing up with regedit in order to change that. I just want W10 to show those files with a proper icon file (.ico) I have in my computer.

Thank you very much!

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/46250-how-can-you-change-icons-specific-file-type.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I would like to know how I can change the desktop text size, and font type from a fresh reload of XP Pro?

I assume that any text size change would also go to IE, as the text size is the same on my desktop as it is while using IE.

Does anyone know what the default settings are for text size, and name of font type for XP Pro?

A:How To Change Text Size And Font Type For Xp Pro

I believe that is in Appearences in the Display Properties. Right click on your desktop and select Properties at the bottom of the drop down box.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/37990/how-to-change-text-size-and-font-type-for-xp-pro/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi, in Device Manager in the Advanced tab of my VIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter properties my Connection Type property is set to auto-negotiation.

I would like to change it from auto, but I don't know which value to choose. Auto works fine but I have reasons for wanting it off auto.

What is the correct value to choose or how can I find out?

Thank you
Child of the Tao

A:How to change Connection type from auto-negotiation?

Is there a Link tab? That should show your current connection speed and duplex mode.
You should set it to match the device you are connecting to.
100Mbps/Full Duplex would be most common. You can try each one, worst that can happen is it won't connect.

About the only reason to change it from Auto is if it's failing to negotiate properly. For example, forcing it to 10 Mbps because of bad cabling, or to connect to an older device that does not support auto negotiation.

HTH

Jerry

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-change-connection-type-from-auto-negotiation-373480.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Can anyone please help me change the default directory when you type the cmd command? Thanks!

A:How do you change the default directory when you type cmd from the run menu

Why do you need to do that? I would say, just copy cmd.exe into the directory where you want it to start, then issue the command with the path. For example. c:\temp\run.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-you-change-the-default-directory-when-you-type-cmd-from-the-run-menu.48650/
Relevancy 75.25%

As an IT manager, consultant, and technician, I am increasingly frustrated with the severity of issues being created by what is obviously a product that is not ready for general release to the public.

Please downgrade the Type rating for IE8 from 'important' to 'optional', so that my staff, our clients, and our business can disregard IE8, until such time as Microsoft corrects the issues with IE8.

You wouldn't buy a car that breaks down everytime you turn on the ignition. Why would Microsoft push IE8 when it is defective to begin with?

Company policy for our business is to remove all IE8 products, revert to IE7 for the moment until we consider moving to another browser.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/change-ie8-type-rating-from-important-to-optional-406633.html