Windows Support Forum

Solved: D:\Documents and Settings\user is not accesible. Access is denied. Help

Q: Solved: D:\Documents and Settings\user is not accesible. Access is denied. Help

Hiya,
Had probs with my PC not booting up so took it to a PC repair shop that found that the part on my hard drive that holds the boot-up info was corrupt, they istalled a new hard drive but managed to keep the old one as a 2nd hard drive as the rest of the data was good on it.
I am now trying to access my files on the old hard drive under documents and settings\user but it wont allow me to access them - how can I access the files? I did set up user accounts on this but they were not password protected...
I'm on XP...
PS I've tried info on here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421 but I dont have a 'security' tab once i click on properties....I'm no techy so advice in laymans terms please!!
Ta,
Matti

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Solved: D:\Documents and Settings\user is not accesible. Access is denied. Help

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Solved: D:\Documents and Settings\user is not accesible. Access is denied. Help

If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.Click to expand...

Did you follow this step? When you start the computer, and before Windows boots, you need to press F8 and select Safe Mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-d-documents-and-settings-user-is-not-accesible-access-is-denied-help.747468/
Relevancy 83.39%

I am trying to open a user folder on a backup image I have.

It is an Acronis True Image backup and mounts a virtual drive you can then access.

The error I receive when trying to open the 'user' folder is:

----------------------

G:\Documents and Settings\user is not accessible.

Access Is Denied

----------------------

I have tried to turn of simple file sharing and add my the administrator to the permission but am not able to.

The Add... Button is greyed out.

If i go to the Advanced section and Owner tab.

I receive: You only have permission to view the current owner on user.

The only areas I can edit are the Auditing ones.

Any idea on how I can get access to my files short of re imaging this backup to a disk?

Thanks

Relevancy 110.94%

Hi:

My friends computer appears to have gotten a mean virus or spyware. Windows will not successfully start. I removed the drive and set it up as an external drive and scanned it with SuperAntiSpyWare, AVG and MalWarebytes Antimalware. All found some trojans and viruses, apparently removing them all. However, I still cannot access his profile or the administrator profile--all report access denied.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

A:Windows continually restarts/Documents & Settings user profile access denied

Hi:

I also tried booting up with an Ubuntu boot cd and I still couldn't access either the administrator or the user profile. Any ideas?

Tom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/296152/windows-continually-restartsdocuments-settings-user-profile-access-denied/
Relevancy 102.77%

Win xp sp2. My computer crashed and I had to use the recovery disc supplied by the manufacturer. The recovery process erased the HD but offered me the option of backing up which I did. When I try to open the 'owner' folder or any of the users folders it says 'Access denied'. How can I open my owner folder to recover my files. This is only happening with the users folders and not with other folders on the C: drive.

A:Solved: Denied access to c:\documents and settings\owner folder

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-denied-access-to-c-documents-and-settings-owner-folder.719044/
Relevancy 102.77%

I'd like to transfer the data from my Owner profile to a new profile, but I keep receiving this message while trying to do so: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner is not accessible. Access denied.

I followed the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, so I don't know what's preventing me from accessing the Owner folder.

Note I'm using an administrator account to access the Owner folder.

A:Solved: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner is not accessible. Access denied.

Could be the permissions are set for the Owner account only, and not the Administrators Group.

Right click the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner folder, click Properties, then click the Security tab.
Make sure Administrators is listed -- note the s, and the icon should have two heads, not one.
You must have simple file sharing turned off to see the security tab and for XP Home, boot into safe mode, or install the XP Security tab fix from the link in this post
To turn off simple file sharing:
Control Panel | Folder Options
View tab
Uncheck Use simple file sharing (Recommended) (last item in the list)

You can also take ownership of the folder:

HTH

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-c-documents-and-settings-owner-is-not-accessible-access-denied.825290/
Relevancy 98.9%

Hi, if anyone could help me with this, it would be great!

All of a sudden when I try to open my C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents folder, it says "access denied"

running xp home sp2.

any suggestions?

oh, I did a google for solutions and various pages often suggested I turn off simple file sharing, but the option is non existant under my file/view menu...

A:Access Denied to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

It sounds to me as though the administrator has made that directory path private. Are you the admin, and if so, are you logged into a user account with admin rights? If all else fails, reboot and log into the Administrator account and go to the control panel/users and change your preferred account status. While you're there, unlock the problem path to allow all users to view.

Good Luck!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-denied-to-c-documents-and-settings-all-users-documents-15657.html
Relevancy 95.46%

My 'User Account Type' is 'Administrator', yet access is denied when I try and enter Documents & Settings.
This has just started to happen. I must have ticked a box somewhere!
Any ideas how I can regain access?

A:Access to 'Documents & Settings' Denied

Remove the hidden and read only attributes of the files you are trying to access. Someone on this forum had the same problem a couple of days ago.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/65912-access-documents-settings-denied.html
Relevancy 95.46%

I am trying to scan documents with my Epson GT-S50 scanner. The documents runs through the scanner, then the process stops with the error message "Access to Documents and Settings Denied" When I google that error message a number of vendors come up wanting to sell PC Utilities software, which will supposedly fix the problem, for $29.95--supposedly money back guarantee.

How do I get past this error message? I really need to scan these documents.

A:Access to Documents and Settings Denied

Hi possibly this may help How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and folders in Windows XP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-to-documents-and-settings-denied-652204.html
Relevancy 95.46%

I'm logged in as an administrator; I open Windows Explorer using 'Run as administrator' and try to access 'Documents & Settings'. Although UAS is set to off (i.e. the slider is at the bottom of its range) I still get 'Access Denied'.

I tried to run Group Management Console but the file gmcp.msc is not on this machine and when I try to download it I get an unhelpful message saying there are incompatibility issues but don't give any details - typical MS!

Windows 7 home Premium, fully up-to-date.

Can anyone help on this please?

A:Access Denied on 'Documents & Settings' although UAS is set to off

OK, I found a way. Just take ownership of the folder! Easy as that. Don't know why the UAC is still causing problems though, even though it's effectively turned off?

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/307394-access-denied-documents-settings-although-uas-set-off.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hello,

I think I did something stupid and am facing the consequences but am hoping that someone can help me to remove the blockage.

A week ago, I was setting up a Guest User account for my roommate to use my PC. I clicked on Security tab to make some changes so she won't have a full control or access to drive C like documents and whatnot.

Then recently, I had to re-format drive C and after that, I downloaded a file I needed and was instructed to place it in drive C: documents and settings/users folder. However, I couldn't find the document & settings folder and I was puzzled and then realized that it's hidden from the public and non-accessible.

I tried to reverse the permissions and whatnot but I'm still not accessing to that part anymore.

How do I remedy that and remove all the blockages?

Thanks in advance!

A:Drive C: documents and settings - access denied

Win Vista and 7 have a different directory structure than XP. They do not use a Documents and Settings folder, and block access to it to prevent improper installations. Instead, it stores user data in C:\Users\. Try putting your data there, instead.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/drive-c-documents-and-settings-access-denied-426242.html
Relevancy 94.17%

I ve been using Win for a while and have found some quirky behavior but this one has got me stumped The Documents and Settings Folder now appears in Explorer as a Shortcut I don t recall that being the case before When I click it I get the pop up window quot You don t currently have permission to access this folder quot Clicking continue gives nd pop up quot You have been denied access to this folder quot There is only account set up on this laptop and it is the Administrator and of course that is how I am logged in The security permissions show that I have quot Full Control quot quot Special Permissions quot are only assigned to the System If I look at he properties at Settings to and Access Documents Folder Denied least of the shortcut in Explorer they are set to Read-Only So I d like to verify that Access to this folder via Explorer is by Shortcut and it was always that way and didn t magically change There should be access to the actual folder at least by the Administrator Account and how do you access this folder dag nab it Thanks Win nbsp

A:Access Denied to Documents and Settings Folder

winbob said:

I've been using Win7 for a while and have found some quirky behavior, but this one has got me stumped. The Documents and Settings Folder now appears in Explorer as a Shortcut...I don't recall that being the case before? When I click it, I get, the pop up window, "You don't currently have permission to access this folder." Clicking 'continue' gives 2nd pop up, "You have been denied access to this folder".

There is only 1 account set up on this laptop, and it is the Administrator, and of course that is how I am logged in. The security permissions show that I have "Full Control". "Special Permissions" are only assigned to the 'System'.

If I look at he properties (at least of the shortcut in Explorer) they are set to Read-Only.

So, I'd like to verify that:

1. Access to this folder via Explorer is by Shortcut...and it was always that way and didn't magically change.

2. There should be access to the actual folder, at least by the Administrator Account.

3. and how do you access this folder dag nab it.

Thanks,

WinClick to expand...
If no group permissions were changed it is a simple case of ownership. Right click the shortcut>ope file location>right click folder>security>who owns it?

If the owner is not you, you can either add yourself to the group that owns it (trusted installer perhaps?) or take ownership of the folder.
That should enable access

Let us know if you need help

ken J

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-denied-to-documents-and-settings-folder.925239/
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi my cousin has been living with us and Settings\Owner Denied C:\Documents and Access using the family computer for a while now and keeps installing random C:\Documents and Settings\Owner Access Denied freeware programs from the internet at will Needless to say the performance went down considerably to the point C:\Documents and Settings\Owner Access Denied where no one wanted to use it so I decided to remove a bunch of them using the remove software tool I came to one quot C:\Documents and Settings\Owner Access Denied Samsung Media Studio quot which when I tried to uninstall it said it could not access specific files because they were located in the C Documents and Settings Owner file and I did not have access to it I was in the original admin account set up on the computer from day I restarted in safe mode and tried to just access this file but was denied access Tried again using the Administrator account found in safe mode but same thing again I can not even explore this file We previously had a problem with the sound drivers on my machine where there would be no sound produced at all I finally discovered they had been deleted or replaced now that same problem has returned after a portion of the program noted above s files had been removed so I m starting to wonder if he has let this third party program manage the sound drivers or if it has done something malicious to the System I m at a loss I found a few threads related to this but nothing directly and nothing that remedied my problem so any help at all here would be much appreciated Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 94.17%

Hi:

My laptop died a month ago and the technical support guy saved my HD, so I was able to copy its files to my new laptop through an USB device.

I have copied all the files but when I try to click in Documents and Settings, it says "Access denied". I have all my pics in that folder, and I don't know what to do next.

Is there any possibility of saving my photographs?

Thanks a lot.

A:Access denied to Documents and Settings where I have all my pics

Worry not ...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-denied-to-documents-and-settings-where-i-have-all-my-pics.634212/
Relevancy 94.17%

Despite logged in with Administrator privileges, I can not access this folder. Any reasons. Try to change the Access right for this, but can not change.

Where else should I look?

A:Access Denied for Documents & Settings folder

Try this ffrree.

Take Ownership Shortcut

See how that goes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/210849-access-denied-documents-settings-folder.html
Relevancy 94.17%

I can no longer access my 'Documents and Settings' folder, each time I try, I get a message saying 'Access denied'. I tried running a search for files I know are within that folder, but the search just seems to bypass that folder altogether. I tried a system restore, but that didn't help either. HELP!

A:Documents and Settings folder - access denied

Hi Magnummaniac, welcome to the Seven Forums.

Documents and Settings in Windows 7 is not a folder, it is just a junction (link) used for backward compatibility with Windows XP; for instance when an application tries to save something as in XP to Document and Settings, Windows 7 redirects the action to corresponding folder in its own main Users folder, default at C:\Users. A user should never need to access Documents and Settings in Windows 7.

Using myself as an example, I have used Windows 7 six years now, started over a year before it was officially published in 2009. I have never - I repeat Never Ever - even clicked the Documents and Settings icon, nor have I had any reason to access it.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/334291-documents-settings-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 93.31%

anytime i try to access documents and settings, am told access is denied.i want to paste a file at startup but because of this i cant.Also am trying to let my pc welcome me after booting but i cant pls assist memessage edited by EddyEmrysAsante

A:Access Denied for Windows 8.1 Documents & Settings folder

That is the correct condition - you are not supposed to be able to access that area. If you have tried to force the issue undo whatever you have done before you hit trouble, using System Restore if necessary.This is the path you want to get you to the Startup folder:"C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"You need to say what this welcome idea is about - a screen message, audio or what? You can put a shortcut in Startup to whatever you wish.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanksmessage edited by Derek

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/access-denied-for-windows-81-documents-settings-folder-/2011.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Dear All,

I am installing a software which was used in my old OS : XP.
But when I am trying to install it in new machine (Windows-7 32 bit).
It is showing "Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings' is denied." message in middle of installation.

I tried below solutions :

1. Running setup as " Run as administrator"
2. By chanding "Local Users and Groups" -> Administartor (properties)-> Account Is Disabled
3.Tries changing access setting.

Nono of above soltion worked.Please help.

Thanks

A:Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings' is denied - Win7-32 Bit

Documents and settings, in Windows 7, is relegated to a System file and is known, together with several other "legacy" folders, as a "junction" folder. It is there for backward compatibility purposes only.
Your problem could be just that - compatibility. Try right clicking the installation file and check under the compatibility options. Run in Xp mode and also as Administrator. See if that is succesful.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/212403-access-path-c-documents-settings-denied-win7-32-bit.html
Relevancy 92.45%

The title basically explains it. I don't have a security tab when I right click on properties. I searched for a solution already, and I downloaded the security thing for NT, but I restarted and it didn't work. I really need to access this folder, as it was the whole reason I saved the hard drive and didn't reformat it when I had to fix my computer. It has about 40gb of music and documents and irreplacable pictures.

Relevancy 92.45%

Hey! I have a problem here, i'm trying to recover some data for a friend, i took his hard drive out of his laptop and hooked it up, but the docs and settings folder is denied. I'm running XP Home Sp2, and i've looked around on the net before coming here.

All of the sites so far have said that you need to take ownership of the folder, so i dled and installed security configuration manager, restarted, and sure enough i could see the security tab on every folder on all three of my hard drives and the laptop hard drive, EXCEPT the Docs and settings folder...so i tried the hard drive itself,...i went in and changed ownership to myself with all subcontainers as well, still no luck.....

and ive tried in safe mode as well, which didn't do anything

A:Access Denied - Documents and Settings on crashed hard drive

Probably sounds stupid, but did you check the properties of the folder to see if it's read/write protected or encrypted?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-denied-documents-and-settings-on-crashed-hard-drive-405032.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I Access Denied Not C:/is Accesible Is am unable to access my drive C It seems that I don't have administator privileges AVG can't update Everything is slow When try to access most of my programs it says that the parameter is incorrect Somtimes C:/is Not Accesible Access Is Denied it says that I don't have enough memory to complete a process i'm trying to initiate but i can't even remove most files because quot access is denied quot Please help me Vista is really C:/is Not Accesible Access Is Denied not making me happy Here is my HijackThis logfile Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Safe mode with network supportRunning processes C Windows Explorer EXEC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Users My favorite computer AppData Local Microsoft Windows Temporary Internet Files Content IE OD N R stinger exeD MYFAVORITECO-PC HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - Hosts localhostO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - FD D- B- FC- - AE - C Program Files SiteAdvisor SiteAdv dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll file missing O - Toolbar McAfee SiteAdvisor - BF - F - - - FE E AA - C Program Files SiteAdvisor SiteAdv dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll file missing O - HKLM Run Windows Defender ProgramFiles Windows Defender MSASCui exe -hideO - HKLM Run IgfxTray C Windows system igfxtray exeO - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C Windows system hkcmd exeO - HKLM Run Persistence C Windows system igfxpers exeO - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exe STARTUPO - HKLM Run WinPerfectAutoRun D HS WinPerfect WinPerfect exe -bootO - HKLM RunOnce GrpConv grpconv -oO - HKUS S- - - Run Sidebar ProgramFiles Windows Sidebar Sidebar exe detectMem User 'LOCAL SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - Run WindowsWelcomeCenter rundll exe oobefldr dll ShowWelcomeCenter User 'LOCAL SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - Run AVG Run C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgw exe RUNONCE User 'LOCAL SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - Run Sidebar ProgramFiles Windows Sidebar Sidebar exe detectMem User 'NETWORK SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - Run AVG Run C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgw exe RUNONCE User 'SYSTEM' O - HKUS DEFAULT Run AVG Run C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgw exe RUNONCE User 'Default user' O - Global Startup Adobe Gamma Loader lnk C Program Files Common Files Adobe Calibration Adobe Gamma Loader exeO - Extra button Blog This - C - CB - a-A C -D FCDDC D - C Program Files Windows Live Writer WriterBrowserExtension dllO - Extra 'Tools' menuitem amp Blog This in Windows Live Writer - C - CB - a-A C -D FCDDC D - C Program Files Windows Live Writer WriterBrowserExtension dllO - Extra button PartyPoker com - B FE D - AA - F - C B- A F E - C Programs PartyGaming PartyPoker RunApp exeO - Extra 'Tools' menuitem PartyPoker com - B FE D - AA - F - C B- A F E - C Programs PartyGaming PartyPoker RunApp exeO - Extra button Bodog Poker - F C DB -ED - dc - E-D D C - C Program Files Bodog Poker BPGame exe file missing O - Gopher Prefix O - AppInit DL... Read more

A:C:/is Not Accesible Access Is Denied

I apologize for the very long delay. We have a huge backlog of HijackThis Logs to handle and it has been taking us greater time than normal to get caught up. If you are still having a problem, and want us to analyze your information, please post a brand new hijackthis log. If we do not hear back from you within a couple of days we will need to close your topic.When posting your logs please post them directly into the reply. Do not attach them.Also make sure you have already followed the steps outlined below:Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis LogThank you for your patience.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/118711/cis-not-accesible-access-is-denied/
Relevancy 92.02%

hi guys, i want to expand my F drive into two partitions.. i started doing it so by "Disk Management Utility" and accidently cancelled the process in the middle of it. After this, i m receiving this error on my F Drive.
F:\ is not accesible, Access is denied

When i checked properties of F drive, it shows used space = 0 bytes and free space = 0 bytes.
But in Disk management, it shows 108 Gb total, and free 108 Gb

Can anybody help me in resolving this issue?
i have very imp data on this drive..

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/73738-f-not-accesible-access-denied.html
Relevancy 91.16%

My old douments folder is in this file for sure.

I have tried numerous ways to open it.
I rebooted in safe mode, and gave full ownership of the file to the admin account and followed a guide i found to give me access, but i still cant get in.

I used a program called FINALDATA and i was able to view the contents and even preview some of the images in the My Documents folder.

I cannot move the files from that program though.

Any ideas how i can get into this file through explorer or any program that will allow me to move files?

Thanks

Kuroda

A:C:\USERDATA is not accesible: Access Denied

Did you try a System Restore?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/c-userdata-is-not-accesible-access-denied-63566.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I added a slave drive to my Windows XP Pro computer and it appears to work properly However when I open the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive E which is Windows XP Home Edition Slave Folder Settings" Solved: drive Denied" "Access and on "Documents -- not XP Pro I do not see any of my documents sub-folders etc There should be MANY sub-folders inside the quot My Documents quot folder which isn t even visible with hundreds of documents jpgs etc Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder within it When that drive is installed as the Primary drive in my other computer the User quot Larry Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder quot which is me has all Administrative privileges On the computer that I m running now with the slave drive in it I also have Administrator privileges I own both computers My User Name quot Larry quot is password-protected when I login to Windows when the drive is Primary and installed into my main computer not this computer with XP Pro I ve tried clicking on all the users Administrator Default User Larry Guest etc Note I get an quot Access Denied quot error when clicking on the Guest quot Documents and Settings quot folder So the questions are Why can t I see any files or subdirectories in the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive There s supposed to be a folder named quot My Documents quot but I can t find it Normally that path is quot C Documents and Settings My Documents quot --- Where is that folder It contains all the files I m looking for Do I have to put the drive back into the other computer and then change something before putting it into this computer or can I change something in this computer to access the folders I m really confused Old Fart Larry nbsp

A:Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder

Follow the directions here to take ownership of a file or folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slave-drive-access-denied-on-documents-and-settings-folder.935997/
Relevancy 83.42%

hi! my friends computer crashed and she asked me to transfer her files. i used the coolmax cd 350 combo to transfer them to an external hard drive. i can transfer everything except one folder under my-documents. it keeps saying "access denied." i'm using windows xp home edition service pack 3. i tried transferring in safe mode with administrative account but it's still denied. i also tried my-computer >tools>folder options>view>advance settings but i can't find the "use simple file sharing." please help, those files are her medical files. i'm hoping i can still retrieve them for her. thanks!

Relevancy 82.56%

I have an old computer running XP. The motherboard died so I removed the IDE hard disk, inserted it in a case and purchased an IDE to USB connector.

It connects perfectly to my laptop which also runs XP

BUT although I can get to most of the stuff I can't access any of the contents of the My Documents file. It just says access denied. I assume this is because I need a password although I did not have any password set on the old computer.

Is there any way I can access the old documents to copy them onto the new laptop?

A:Solved: USB to IDE connection Access denied to Documents

You need to take ownership of the files and folders.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-usb-to-ide-connection-access-denied-to-documents.833575/
Relevancy 82.56%

Short version of a long story Due to multiple BSOD on friends laptop I decided the best course of action to a non-destructive OS recovery It is an HP DV laptop running XP Home SP with GB mem and a GB HD The only thing he had [SOLVED] Folder Denied on Access My old Documents on the machine that he didn't want to lose was about GB of songs for his DJ business Just to be safe I copied then onto a networked pc for safe keeping Hitting PF during reboot took me to the OS restore screen I proceeded through the restore and choose a different user nane than the original one he had used This saved the files in the Documents and settings folder for [SOLVED] Access Denied on old My Documents Folder the old user that no longer existed After the restore was done I tried to copy the My Documents folder from the old user to the new user directory No matter what I tried I received the Access denied I tried from a CMD Prompt I tried using the ATTRIB command to look at the attributes The only thing I could see was on each directory My Documents and below the Properties window had the Hidden check box filled in not checked but filled in I could not turn it off I even tried to boot to safe mode and log on as Administrator and got the same results I ended up going [SOLVED] Access Denied on old My Documents Folder back and doing the destructive restore format drived and factory reload and then copying the files back from my network My question is why couldn't I copy or delete these files even as administrator and how can I correct this situation in the future as I know this same sort [SOLVED] Access Denied on old My Documents Folder of thing will happen again Also when you do the non-destructive OS restore if you try and use the same user name it assigns a different set of files in the documents and settings file Don't ask me how I know this I know I got by the problem but I sure would like to know what caused it and how to get around it in the future

A:[SOLVED] Access Denied on old My Documents Folder

He probably had the "Make my files private" setting enabled for his account, which restricts access to the files for that account, even on a new XP install. In the future you can take ownership of the files to gain access to them.

Hope it helps,
BMR777

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-access-denied-on-old-my-documents-folder-196152.html
Relevancy 81.7%

I am running Windows 7 on my notebook, as the owner and admin.....
I try to access this folder, and I cannot...in fact it appears as a shortcut rather than a folder...i have run antivirus, and malware, found nothing....
tried to change the security....all users has rights to it, the admin does not and cannot be changed....any ideas?

A:C:\Documents and Settings\all users\documents DENIED!!!

It looks like one of the junction points that provides some backwards compatibility and which shows when unhiding files in Control Panel>Folder Options>View. There is no Documents and Settings folder in Win7, except as a junction point.

Read more about junction points here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

In Win7 Documents is under All Users>[User Name]>Documents. Perhaps you should hide Hidden and System Files again to see only the WIn7 folders you need.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/218841-c-documents-settings-all-users-documents-denied.html
Relevancy 80.84%

I performed a System Recovery. I installed Word and went to access my Owner documents from the Backup File that was created during the Recovery. However, I now get this error message: C:\My Backup-10-01-18 0912AM\Documents and Settings\Owner is not accessible. Access is denied. So I have LOST all of my work. However, I can easily access any and all files under the Guest profile. Can anyone help me figure out what happened to the Owner profile?

thank you!

Relevancy 79.55%

XP HOME SP Following a crash I put in a new hard drive reinstalled Windows re-created the User accounts Well some of that I had help with I made three User accounts and the folders appeared in Documents amp Settings no problems A few weeks later I decided to add another User account The account & Settings XP Documents User put doesn't Solved: folder in account was created successfully but its folder never appeared in Documents amp Settings That was about a month ago and it s just never shown up Solved: XP doesn't put User account folder in Documents & Settings The account itself works fine as far as I know This morning I created a second User account for this person to see if it would place a folder in Docs amp Settings It still didn t Before the crash I had all four people with four separate accounts so having four User accounts has not been a problem previously It s not a reboot issue as I ve rebooted numerous times since creating the person s first account Is there a way to force the User account folder to appear in Documents amp Settings since XP won t place it there automatically Edited to add When reinstalling HD it had to be named quot F quot not quot C quot That didn t affect creating the original three User accounts though so I don t know what to think about that Also no problem with downloading programs it always defaults to the correct location Just thought this might be important AHHH nevermind I figured it out User accounts must first be logged into before the folders appear in Documents amp Settings Apparently he just sat down at someone else s opened desktop doesn t live here and keeps no files here so he didn t care whose IE he was browsing in I guess I did not log into the new account either Anyway - First log into a User account before it shows up in Documents amp Settings nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-doesnt-put-user-account-folder-in-documents-settings.503351/
Relevancy 78.69%

I usually try to fix these things myself but I don t even know where to begin searching on Google I was playing Mass Effect game last night and the nvidia driver crashed second time it s happened overall from this game I closed as many apps as I could then told Windows to reboot On rebooting disk check ran and decided to delete about files it might have done other things not sure When I got back into Windows all my preferences were gone and I realized that a new set of quot Documents and Settings quot files were created called quot Owner MASTRPC quot mastrpc is the name of the computer on my network and wrong Account and to Settings User Documents Solved: folder! pointing even though Windows automatically logs in as quot Owner quot as usual it points to that new folder instead of the usual quot Owner quot folder So basically all my preferences shortcuts and passwords are gone everything looks like a fresh install and there are a ton of other inconveniences Thankfully the files from my Owner account are still on my hard drive I think I need to point Windows to the correct Documents and Settings folder Owner instead of Owner MASTRPC Also a second new account ASP NET was created which I ve Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder! since deleted But now I think that might have been from Windows Update awhile back Not exactly sure what that s for THANK YOU SO MUCH nbsp

A:Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-user-account-pointing-to-wrong-documents-and-settings-folder.916231/
Relevancy 78.26%

Possibly this is related to another thread I've just asked about regarding a problem installing Java, or it might be an entirely separate issue.

While trying to deal with the other problem I attempted to access the Document and Settings shortcut which is in my Drive C and get an error that Access is Denied. I've never seen this message before but it doesn't seem right since I never have set up that restriction in my system.

Could it be related to my other issue, and how do I gain access to this folder?

A:Solved: Can't access Documents and Settings

Try Taking Ownership of the Folder.

Or, Unlocker.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-access-documents-and-settings.959391/
Relevancy 78.26%

Please help me find Documents and settings, I used to be able to access this using Xp, but now with Vista I cannot.I want to see cookies and temp internet files that were stored on my computer. I am an Administrator and need to access these files, to see where and what some users on my PC are up to and what websites they visit. This may sound nasty, but I had already lost one PC by trusting the other users, and were disappointed to find them abusing my PC and downloading stuff that infected the whole drive. Please can someone tell me the best way to do this and how to get into the files on my drive?
Thanx for your support and help,
Petty

A:Solved: Documents &amp; Settings-Cannot access

Document and Settings folder is a Hidden System folder that is used by the system only for the pre-Vista programs. All user data is stored under the "User Name" under the "Users" folder. A lot of the temp file folders are now system level and the users including the Admin users do NOT have access.

If you are that concerned about other users I would NOT allow them to use yours and get another that they can trash.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-documents-amp-settings-cannot-access.750089/
Relevancy 77.83%

Ive been running vista for about a month now no real problems. Today i open outlook and get this:
So i try to open said file but when I try to open Loacl Settings i get this

Followed by:
No this is very very odd as I am the only user of my computer and I am a full administrtor.
So i check the file permisions:
Whats going on anyone know?
!!! PLEASE NOTE !!!
I am aware of the forums policy on security so I ask that all replies contain information that would only be usefull to someone with full admin permisions.

Relevancy 77.4%

I'm new to windows 7 and having a hard time navigating the file structure. When I try to open documents and settings, access is denied. Under libraries-documents there is a folder named My Videos.....access is denied to that one as well. How do I get access. I'm the only user and an administrator. Why can't I see what's in these folders? Thanks.

Relevancy 77.4%

I am running Windows XP and have 2 hard drives. My secondary hard drive holds all files and folders. My primary hardrive is purely for the OS. After recently formating the Primary HD and reinstalling XP, I now find that some files and folders are inaccessible, giving me the error, "Access Denied 'or' User Does Not Have Privilages". while other similar files are fully accessible!
also, since the format, if I create and save PDFs' and JPEGs' to the secondary HD, they are accessible until after I move them to a differrent folder, thereafter the same error messages appear and am unable to access or delete them.
I have looked through admin tools but can find nothing. It also makes no differrence when I log on as Administrator.
Please Help!!

many thanks,

Ben Maye

A:Solved: Access Denied, User Does Not Have Privilages!

Its a permissions problem due to the reinstall.

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-access-denied-user-does-not-have-privilages.496260/
Relevancy 76.54%

Wonder if anyone can help?

I have fitted a new drive which I have made the master and have the former master drive as the slave.

The old disk had three users. When I go through explorer to try and access the files on the old drive - I can see all the files of two users but not the user which was also the administrator - I get an access denied message. I know the files and data is still there because of the overall size of the data the properties tabs says is on the disk.

Are there some settings I need to change to allow access to this folder as it used to be the administrator folder??

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Lostockid

A:Solved: Access denied to user on former master drive

Take ownership of the folders that you need to access: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-access-denied-to-user-on-former-master-drive.952238/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hopefully I can explain my situation without dragging it out to long but it is involved The problem is with my wife amp s computer which is an Emachine Model T running Win XP Home Edition and IE The last time my wife was on the computer was the evening of Aug at which time she had been playing the card game Spider Solitaire I am also listed as All Exe User Solved: and Denied Access To Programs Files a user but only to keep it running for my wife When she tried to use the computer the next day Aug she kept getting the message amp Windows can not access Solved: User Access Denied To All Exe Files and Programs the specified device path or file You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item amp Having come up with the same results Solved: User Access Denied To All Exe Files and Programs as my wife here is what I have been able to determine Be it from the Start Menu Desk Top or Program Folder the end result is the above message It didn t amp t matter whose account I was in mine or my wife amp s or if I tried to open an executable file or program directly or with a shortcut the results were the same However I did find a couple of things that were quite odd The items stored in the task bar at the bottom right side of the task bar could be opened but only from here These programs consisted of the Virus Program Trend Micro amp s Pecillin messenger program and the like I also found that if I opened Documents and Settings and then opened either my wife amp s or my personal folder and then went to Favorites I was able to access the internet I could not do is run Restore from system tools and when I tried use the run function in the start menu I got a pop up window which said amp Windows can not create a shortcut here Do you want a shortcut placed on the desktop amp Short of doing a full format and re-installation can you tell me what has happened and how to fix it Thank you in advance TheMic Edit Info One other note of interest Though it comes to mind I can t explain how I was able to determine this but I was able to check the event viewer and determined there was a system Win XP update performed between and am on Aug nbsp

Relevancy 76.11%

My laptop died a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine tested the laptop hard-drive and apparently the disk is non-bootable (he's in IT so did the analysis with a devide to test the hard-drive directly) and corrupted. So I put the hard-drive in an enclosure kit and I'm using it to retrieve some of the files in the disk.

The problem is that I can't access the 'Documents and Settings' folders because I can't boot the disk and I guess i need to start the system with my profile password. Is there a way I can access the files in my profile folder?

System in the old hard drive: Win 7 64-bit
New laptop: Same

A:Solved: How can I access 'Documents and Settings' from a non-bootable hard-drive (ext

With a corrupted disc there's no way to predict what files will still be readable.

You will not be able to access 'Documents and Settings' if the drive contained only Vista or 7; in those OSes 'Documents and Settings' is a junction point (not a folder) whose purpose is to allow old programs to access folders/files that used to be there but in Vista and 7 are in C:\Users. Can you access <drive>:\Users?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-can-i-access-documents-and-settings-from-a-non-bootable-hard-drive-ext.954271/
Relevancy 75.68%

Alright... major boo-boo here people. My User folder (C:\Users\Jenny) is for some reason shared on my home network. My brother brought my attention to it when he said he could browse all my files from his own computer. So, in an attempt to block it from access, I set the permissions on the folder to denying access to everybody.

I didn't know Vista is truly that stupid! Now I can't even access my own user folder, from my own account. I assumed it meant "Everybody except me".

Is there any way at all I can fix this, or do I have to create a new user account?

A:Solved: Permissions Problem - Denied Access to own User Folder

Wait... figured it out. D'oh. I must have left my brain on my pillow this morning. For future reference, you have to go to the Security properties of the folder, go Advanced, click 'Owner' and change it back.

Oh boy am I embarrassed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-permissions-problem-denied-access-to-own-user-folder.623479/
Relevancy 75.68%

This is a sony vaio laptop. I don't think the model matters as this is an OS problem. I enabled the Administrator account; but, that doesn't help. I can boot the system into Windows and view all the file and folder names without a problem; but, I cannot copy any files to an external drive or to any other place on the hard disk. Access is denied on everything. I cannot create folders or save even a text file that I create. Access denied.

If I boot using a BartPE disk, the hard disk doesn't show up in the file manager at all. All that shows is my external USB drive as drive C and the DVD as drive D.

I need to copy all the user data to a backup device so I can then run factory system recovery.

Any suggestions?

A:Solved: Access denied on everything in all user accounts including Administrator

If it is indeed a malfunctioning permissions problem, you could try using a Linux live disk. Linux NTFS support doesn't extend to considering access permissions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-access-denied-on-everything-in-all-user-accounts-including-administrator.981395/
Relevancy 75.68%

When I started up it says Win.ini corrupt. Then it starts
up as a new user losing track of Favorites and Start Menu
and Desktop Icons, Display and Folder attributes. Under
Documents and Settings it has added Dave.U5R2D5 in
addition to Dave which still has all the information. I tried
switching the 2 Filenames to get back to what it used to be but
gave an error message and didn't do it and started another new file.
Is there some way to use the old Dave file?

A:Lost settings, New user made in Documents and Settings

Hiya asd123321.

It sounds like you`ve re-installed the system from CD over the top of an existing system, giving you a fresh `Dave`. Have you recently run a repair or indeed, done a clean install ?

As a work-around, can you take the documents & favourites from the old `Dave` and put them in the new `Dave` so at least you`re back up and running again.

Jenny

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-settings-new-user-made-in-documents-and-settings.920132/
Relevancy 73.96%

I have tried logging on as the hidden Admin and I have checked my permissions but I still can't access this folder. I think there are some Firefox files in this folder and I need to see them.
Any help?
Thanks,
Frank

A:"Access Denied" for "Documents and Settings"

welcome..try to use the elevate command prompt Elevated Command Prompt

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/100080-access-denied-documents-settings.html
Relevancy 73.53%

I usually save passwords on Wordpad but it's developed that when I try to save a new entry I get this message 'access denied'. If I make a new file in wordpad then I can save the new entry. Ideas? Win Vista and IE 9

A:access denied to documents

right click on file on look at "security options". adjust security and apply. or just copy/paste in new file.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/201184-access-denied-documents.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Just installed windows yesterday, and changed the default place for the mydocuments folder to the second drive (d:, a partition on the same drive)

Start > mydocuments, right click, properties,
Moved all my pictures, etc into it.

Then had windows semi die. no probs i think to myself, i'll just reinstall.

reinstall, and now, i can't access the my documents folder

d:\my documents and settings is not accessible
Access denied

Any ideas how i may get it all back?

A:Access denied - my documents

Google search for "Take Ownership of Files" and you will find a KB article on how to.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-denied-my-documents.411516/
Relevancy 73.53%

I recently got my pc back from the shop and to find that i cannot access My Documents and i keep getting 'Access Denied' not accessible when i try getting in.

I have tried Computer Management > Shared Folders > Shares but when i right click there is no option for remove the share. (not sure if its a hidden share) or permissions have been changed to someone else in order to copy data over, or the shop linked my hard drive to a laptop with Vista and changed permissions in order for them to copy data.

How would i remove this so i can access My Documents??

I have tired searching for videos, files and folders within My Documents and it cant find anything from within there when i know there is!!

Any help would be great

Cheers
Paul

A:Access Denied for My Documents

Have you tried taking ownership of the share?

In the advanced option of the shared folder. I am fairly sure simple file sharing will have to be disabled.

And if that fails take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it.

This sort of thing happens when you remove the drive and hook it up to another system and try to copy the contents of that hard drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-denied-for-my-documents-298661.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I am laptop user. About 2hr ago, i login to my lappy and discover that my profile is different. My folders on desktop went missing and some of the setting changed. Then i try on my own to solve it but to no avail. Fortunately i come upon my C:\Documents and Settings and discover that strange profile C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP and my original profile C:\Documents and Settings\p0716499 was still there. This imply that my previous setting and files are still in my laptop. However, I cant changed back to the original profile and struck with the temp profile.
Initially i suspect is registry problem so i DL "UPHClean Service" by miscosoft but to no avail. Now currently i suspect it might be the work of a virus. I need help. Thank anyone who help me in advance.

A:User profile path change to user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP :\Documents and Settings...

This morning when i woke up, i discovered a icon named "syminstallstub" on my desktop. I checked online and i believe that it could be a virus. I try to find ways to uninstall it but to no avail I not sure what did my younger brother do to my laptop. I feel that im damn unlucky and encounter 2 problems in a row. Please help me solve my problems.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394384/user-profile-path-change-to-user-profile-path-change-to-cdocuments-and-settingstemp-documents-and-settingstemp/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi I recently had a computer crash and die it was an old computer I don t know what went wrong I don t really care now because I realize it was old and got a new computer Anyway I knew my hard drive was still good and I have important data on it that I error access documents My denied needed so i removed it and bought a hard drive enclosure I hooked it up to My documents access denied error my new computer and everything is coming up fine but my quot e documents and settings owner quot folder That was the administrative account document folder that I used for my work My documents access denied error When I try to open it it s giving my an Access Denied quot error I can access all the other accounts just fine I think it s maybe administrative password related somehow but I did not have a password set on the account that I can recall I actually remember manually setting it to none If anyone can offer any advice I would so appreciate it The main reason I bought the enclosure was because I need all the documents I have in that folder nbsp

Relevancy 72.67%

Hi I have windows XP Pro Here is the situation I have someones old hardrive plugged My Access Denied PC Documents differnt on to into an external hardrive bay They want me to recover the files in My Documents from their old hardrive to their new computer The problem is whenever I go to their old hardrive to get the files it wont let me view their documents because they have a password on their account and it says quot access denied quot It won t even tell me how many kb are in the folder I can view other files on the hardrive such as windows files and such Access Denied to My Documents on differnt PC I just can t open quot my documents quot They don t have their old computer parts so I don t know how to get rid of the passwords a k a they don t have their old mobo and case and all that all they have is their old hardrive I would rather take a different route than using their hardrive to boot up from The old hardrive had Windows XP Home installed on it Is there a way to make the user s documents accessible by using the external hardrive bay and my own computer nbsp

A:Access Denied to My Documents on differnt PC

This should help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-denied-to-my-documents-on-differnt-pc.639099/
Relevancy 72.67%

I just did a rescue and recovery with my XP Home PC Now I am getting the above error message when I try to click on the quot My Documents quot folder I believe the folder was accessible right after I completed my recovery because I could get to the Not Documents My Access is Denied Accessible. Downloads folder easily but something has changed The only things I can think that I did were I tried to recover a couple of files from my external hard drive to My Documents after XP was installed using Acronis other than that when I installed re-installed Windows I set files and folder to private when My Documents Not Accessible. Access is Denied prompted But I m not sure that s the problem because when I right click on the My Documents folder quot make this folder private quot is not checked off I ve also tried rebooting in safe mode as per a Microsoft article they say this is what to do in XP Home but when I did that the computer just eventually gave me the option to reboot back into Windows in one mode or another I also tried a Microsoft article that said to reboot in quot safe networking mode quot and then adding a line but it did nothing I read online about the possibility of an administrator change affecting things but I had just made myself administrator on the recovery so I m not sure And perhaps it s none of these things and is much simpler Can you please help with this I just want to access My Documents Thank you very much nbsp

A:My Documents Not Accessible. Access is Denied

It's probably just a matter of changing permissions.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP (Or Vista, 7)

If you have Home Edition of XP, use this to make the Security tab appear: XP Security Tab Home Edition. You will not need Safe Mode as in the MS directions. Just use this to get the security tab, and then use the "Undo" file to get things back to normal.

You could also follow THESE DIRECTIONS to add an entry to your context menu so that you can take ownership of files and folders easily.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-documents-not-accessible-access-is-denied.1039187/
Relevancy 72.67%

I have recently tried to access my shared documents folder and it says: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents is not accessible. Access is Denied. I have shortcuts created of my pictures and I am able to do what I want with them. I am running XP media center. How do I get into my Shared Documents folder?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-documents-access-denied.455809/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hiya guys need ur help Problem All my drives including C at first D E F amp E: Access D: F: says Drives My is also Denied, & Documents My Documents cannot be accessed When i open my computer and double-click on drive D or E or Drives D: E: & F: says Access is Denied, My Documents also F it says quot D access is denied quot But i can access the drives through the address bar Afterthat i can access everything within that drive Except for My Documents which i had placed on drive F when i try to open it also says quot Access is Denied quot couldn t also get in even through the address bar it started after i downloaded sumthing maybe it was a virus Also after i updated my AVG the Drives i could not access first so i tried reinstalling windows XP also due to some virus problems After i reinstalled i could no longer also access My Documents Tried scanning it didn t work I also tried the quot Security quot thing Didn t work on the drives but it worked on My Documents Folder but i could not access everything inside My Documents I really need your help cant afford reformatting got lots of important files on My Documents DESPERATELY YOURS shinobi nbsp

A:Drives D: E: & F: says Access is Denied, My Documents also

Uninstall AVG

Restart

Check the drives, ok? .....Not ok read on

Run This: http://downloads.malwareremoval.com/BillCastner/FixPolicies.exe

Restart

Check the drives, ok? .....Not ok read on

Have a look at:

Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/drives-d-e-f-says-access-is-denied-my-documents-also.114533/
Relevancy 72.67%

hey guys

My computer got infected with mad trojans and my antivirus failed to protect my computer.. I managed to get rid of them through Safe Mode but my OS is still corrupt cant access it.. So I installed another OS in D drive...
No Im trying to get stuff I had in "My documents" folder on the C drive(where corrupt OS is) but it says access is denied I cant access C:\Documents and Settings\Addministrator
I had a password on that account... But is there a way to access it?

A:[SOLVED] Access is denied to &quot;My Documents&quot;

I would guess your system is still infected so I would suggest to you to follow this link to have your computer cleared of any Malware obtaining a clearance from the experts here.

kind regards,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-access-is-denied-to-and-quot-my-documents-and-quot-472572.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I made a new user account under Windows XP Pro and deleted my old one. Then I saw the old user's folder. I tired to delete it but I couldn't and an error message popped up:

That folder is 3.48 GB heavy and contains over 13000 files.
I also tried to take ownership of that folder. No luck.

So, please, if you know how to solve this problem, let me know.

Me.

A:Documents and Settings\User

Hi

Firstly you can run chkdsk - hopefully that will sort out the strange file name:
To do this go to Start -> Run -> type chkdsk c: /r -> click Ok . When asked if you want to force a dismount say No. When asked to schedule the check at the next startup say Yes. Restart your PC to allow chkdsk to run.

Then you can download Unlocker, save it to your hard drive and install it.
Once installed
-Right click on the User folder
-Select Unlocker
-In the Unlocker screen choose Delete under action
-If any processes are locking the folder select Unlock All, If no locking handles are found press OK

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/documents-and-settings-user-523004.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello Computer Bleepers I recently fixed a problem on my computer involving an infection by a rogue software called quot Windows Vista Restore quot Version June and eight infections including Rootkit TDSS After restoring the visibility on my hard and documents files accessing when "Access Denied" drive my files were visible but still in quot hidden quot format "Access Denied" when accessing documents and files Now that I ve unhidden them I get an quot Access Denied quot message whenever I click on them but I can still access MS Word documents directly through Word images directly through Paint etc The following is a list of procedures I went through You may skip this section and go directly to helping resolve the problem if you wish When I was browing the Internet one of my windows suddenly displayed a rogue error message saying that my computer had suffered a quot Hard Drive Failure quot I left my Internet on for minutes not realizing there was a problem before I came back and shut off the computer Next I went to a different computer in hopes of finding a solution The infection itself tried to lead me to the website by windows-vista-restore com and the company claimed to be SecurePay INC However no other websites were accessible Getting back to the infected computer the screen was black and half my files were hidden away and the computer tried to restart itself Error messages and the typical quot infections quot kept popping up I tried to restart my computer myself and switch to safe mode which was unsuccessful because of an existing screen display setting So I bypassed the recommended Safe Mode and worked on the problem in regular mode First I unplugged my Internet and went to the Registry Editor as indicated on multiple websites a risky procedure and deleted items including Advanced quot Hidden quot which resurfaced and Advanced quot ShowSuperHidden which remained deleted After restarting my computer again I turned on Windows Task Manager which was unaffected by the malware I shut off a few running programs including one with the name quot SwPGvtLdJxoV quot which later turned out to have an associated symbol identical to one used by the rogue software After discovering this I deleted this file from the RegEdit which temporarily solved some problems It turns out that online instructions asked to delete Run quot Windows Vista Restore exe quot but in the same location the random-character file was found There is not much info available but it looks like the new version of the program used a new name to hide its identity I ran MalwareBytes on my computer which took minutes for a quick scan and discovered Rootkit TDSS I quarantined that infection then restarted my computer Upon doing this however I ran another scan and this one took two hours It discovered seven infected items which I again quarantined and later deleted Afterwards I ran the in-built Vista System Restore feature which had a name similar to the rogue software After backing up the system to a previous date my files appeared to all be deleted yet they were accessible from the program itself ie Word The System Restore stated that my documents were unaffected Browsing through my files again I discovered a folder that had a strange alphanumeric name and contained the file quot spclite quot This was created during a previous infection by a rogue software named quot Vista Total Security quot which I had removed the month before After searching through the Internet I deleted this folder After changing a few configurations all my files were now visible but in a faded-color quot hidden quot form I could open them easily but they were hidden Several more scans using MalwareBytes revealed no problems I used a cmd script attrib -h quot C quot s d to unhide my files which worked in that they now all had a normal color However this is when the quot Access Denied quot error message kept showing up even though I was fully able to access my documents through Word No... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/403871/access-denied-when-accessing-documents-and-files/
Relevancy 71.81%

I think I have a problem with my hard drive. I get a black screen with a blinking cursor, and it beeps once, when the Windows logo is normally displayed while booting up. I put the HDD into another computer as a slave, and I can access the contents, so the file system is intact.

The only thing is, under Documents and Settings of my slave HDD, the folder with my username that has all my documents says its size is 0. And when I try to double click it I get an access denied error. Is it only saying the folder data size is 0 because I can't access it? Or did I somehow lose all my data under My Documents? How can I change the security settings so I have access to it?

A:Access denied error for My Documents folder

Hi Anom,

I would imagine that your data is intact and you cannot see the file-size due to the access issues, as you quite rightly pointed-out.

I was under the impression that you could right-click on the folder and select properties, then security tab, advanced, Owner, select your active account and tick the box that says 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects'. Press OK.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-denied-error-for-my-documents-folder-496857.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Windows XP. Am sorting out a computer for a friend. Under Control Panel/User Accounts it just shows 1 - his name. However, if I look at C:\Documents and Settings, there are 4 entries:
Administrator, [4MB] All Users, [37MB] Default Users [487KB] and the name of his daughter who used to own the computer [4GB]. Are all these necessary? I tried to change the last one to his name but it told me it was a system file and could not be renamed. I located the profile in the Registry - is it safe to delete the one in his daughter's name?

Thanks

Relevancy 71.38%

I had a registry problem in that when I booted up my laptop it said a hive file for the SOFTWARE key was damaged I fixed this by going into recovery console and restoring the registry backup So now Windows starts again and everything is good All of my files are still in tact However my settings are all gone Even though Settings Folders User in and Documents my files are on the hard drive the appearance of everything is as if Windows has just been installed In Documents and Settings the reason is revealed My user folder in there was Jon Jon is still there and Windows says I m logged in as Jon but in the Documents and Settings folder there is a Jon JONSLAPTOP folder and I am assuming Windows loaded with the settings from THAT folder which I User Folders in Documents and Settings assume was created when recovery console fixed the registry hive file My question is is there a quick User Folders in Documents and Settings fix to getting my settings back Can I just copy everything from Jon into Jon JONSLAPTOP and then rename it Jon and delete the other Jon Or are there settings in this new Jon JONSLAPTOP folder that I need to make Windows bootup now Anyone nbsp

A:User Folders in Documents and Settings

Oh, and also, I've noticed, some programs give me a "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed" error message, and I think it's saying that because when said programs were installed, this 'Jon.JONSLAPTOP' folder didn't exist, and therefore that user didn't get privleges to use it. Which still doesn't make sense because XP says I'm still logged in as 'Jon', the same user from before, but using settings I assume from 'Jon.JONSLAPTOP' instead of 'Jon'.

If anyone can help me with this I'd appreciate it. If not I'm gonna format my hard drive tomorrow.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-folders-in-documents-and-settings.312643/
Relevancy 71.38%

Can anyone explain to me why I have five "user" folders in C:Documents and Settings ? They are "Administrator", "Owner", "All Users", "Default User", and "Administrator+computer name". Under User Accts. in Control Panel, there is only "Owner(computer administrator)" and "Guest(account off)". The first five seem to make Explorer very bloated and confusing to me. Do I really need all five folders and if so what purpose do they serve?
Thanks

A:Why are there so many "user" folders in C:Documents and Settings?

Hello and welcome,

Each one of those folders represents a user on that system. The amount of folders varies due to how many users and what software is using the computer. Windows XP and Vista don't show these accounts in the user accounts section of the control panel without editing the registry. I would leave the accounts on the system for now.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/231222/why-are-there-so-many-user-folders-in-cdocuments-and-settings/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi,
I reinstalled XP3 on my pc which has a corrupted XP2 preinstalled without formatting the drive. After everything's set I still have my previous user accounts in the C:\Documents and Settings. Please help me erase this as it is eating up the memory.
Thanks a lot.

A:Old user accounts on C:\Documents and Settings!

When you go to Start>Control Panel>User Accounts do you see the old accounts?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/old-user-accounts-on-c-documents-and-settings-328680.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I recently replaced my motherboard which because my new one is a different chipset than my old one, required me to repair my windows install. Rather than do that and possibly lose a bunch of stuff in My Documents folder and my extensive Favorites I opted to just do a new install on another partition. So far everything has worked fine but when I tried to get into my old Admin files in my "Documents & Settings" Folder it gave me a red x and said Access Denied.

Anyone know how I get around this and into this folder?

A:Help Accesing Old User Documents & Settings?

Google for "Take Ownership of Files". It's an easy fix.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-accesing-old-user-documents-settings.449685/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi my name s David I turned on my computer today and found all my settings my desktop icons my favourites my playlists in Media Player etc were all missing All my programs thought I was using them for the first time it was as if I was a new user When I searched for a document I d saved to the desktop I found it in Documents and Settings David In fact all my documents and pictures were there Documents in Settings and Second User Folder However in Documents and Settings there now appears to be a second user folder called David DAVID- BA C that doesn t contain any of my documents or settings and I appear to be accessing that account instead of my normal user account So my computer has created a second rogue account that I am logged in as I tried to Change User but the only option was David and that took me back to the Second User Folder in Documents and Settings David DAVID- BA C desktop I am the only person who uses my computer I tried changing the name of the user account from David to Steve in Control Panel User Accounts This had the affect of changing the name of Documents and Settings David My Documents to Documents and Settings David Steve s Documents However when I tried to change users the only option was called Steve and it took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop This means that any changes I make to my user settings the computer applies to David and Windows thinks I am David but I can only log in as David DAVID- BA C This is causing a number of problems for my programs such as Live Messenger which won t let me sign in Please help me I would be happy to supply any futher details nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/second-user-folder-in-documents-and-settings.987887/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi all
I've been installing / uninstalling stuff while testing on a CLEAN install of W7 (x-64).

I see now one of the directories (Documents and settings username1) is now 7GB.

The WHOLE OS only takes around 14 GB .

I can't see what's taking up the space -- is there any nice utility that clearly can show Disk usage in a sort of cloured pie / bar chart etc rather like the nice Linux utility DU. (I've enabled "show hidden files etc").

I'm sure it's all related to me installing / uninstalling stuff but Windows explorer is a HORRIBLE tool for "Cleaning up" disks etc. It's fine for everyday purposes but for this type of stuff it's not the correct tool.

Cheers
jimbo

A:Documents and settings - user user1 7 GB HELP

Hi Jimbo,

Have a look at this TreeSize Free https://www.jam-software.de/customer...80&language=EN

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/10012-documents-settings-user-user1-7-gb-help.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I recently replaced my motherboard which because my new one is a different chipset than my old one, required me to repair my windows install. Rather than do that and possibly lose a bunch of stuff in My Documents folder and my extensive Favorites I opted to just do a new install on another partition. So far everything has worked fine but when I tried to get into my old Admin files in my "Documents & Settings" Folder it gave me a red x and said Access Denied.

Anyone know how I get around this and into this folder?

A:Help Accessing old User Documents & Settings?

You would have been just fine doing a repair install.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Take Ownership of the folders and files.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=XP+Take+Ownership

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-accessing-old-user-documents-and-settings-93029.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I find one user account name called "default user" in C:/documents and settings.

I wonder what it's all about.

A:what is default user in documents and settings

Whenever a new user logs on (the first time), Windows copies the settings from the Default User profile (located at Documents and Settings\Default User) to the newly created user profile. In other words, the Default User profile is as a template which Windows uses in order to initialize new profiles/logins.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/what-is-default-user-in-documents-and-settings-554876.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi my name's David I turned on my computer today and found all my settings my desktop icons my favourites my playlists in Media Player etc were all missing All my programs thought I was using them for the first time it was as if I was a new user When I searched for a document I'd saved to the desktop I found it in Documents and Settings David In Folder Settings Documents in and User Second fact all my documents and pictures were there However in Documents and Settings there Second User Folder in Documents and Settings now appears to be a second user folder called David DAVID- BA C that doesn't contain any of my documents or settings and I appear Second User Folder in Documents and Settings to be accessing that account instead of my normal user Second User Folder in Documents and Settings account So my computer has created a second rogue account that I am logged in as I tried to Change User but the only option was 'David' and that took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop I am the only person who uses my computer I tried changing the name of the user account from 'David' to 'Steve' in Control Panel User Accounts This had the affect of changing the name of Documents and Settings David My Documents to Documents and Settings David Steve's Documents However when I tried to change users the only option was called 'Steve' and it took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop This means that any changes I make to my user settings the computer applies to 'David' and Windows thinks I am 'David' but I can only log in as 'David DAVID- BA C ' This is causing a number of problems for my programs such as Live Messenger which won't let me sign in Please help me I would be happy to supply any futher details

A:Second User Folder in Documents and Settings

try creating a new user account and see if you can access that ok, and create a new document (anything will do). If you are ok accessing that, then migrate all your docs over to the new account. Hope the following will give you some idea: How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

Can you post back and let me know if you are able to create and access a new user account.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/second-user-folder-in-documents-and-settings-560918.html
Relevancy 70.95%

After searchin microsofts help and to xp My Documents Denied of folder Access reinstallation windows after please help. support it appeared that i found my solution but their directoins were wrong well for my system anyway heres a grab from their site and my problem with it SYMPTOMS When you try to open a folder in Microsoft Windows XP you may receive the Access Denied to My Documents folder after reinstallation of windows xp please help. following error message where Folder is the name of the folder that you cannot open Folder is not accessible Access is denied CAUSE This issue may occur if the folder that you cannot open was created on an NTFS file system volume by using a previous installation of Windows and then installing Windows XP This Access Denied to My Documents folder after reinstallation of windows xp please help. issue may occur although you enter the correct user name and password This issue occurs because the security ID for the user has changed Although you use the same user name and password your security ID no longer matches the security ID of the owner of the Access Denied to My Documents folder after reinstallation of windows xp please help. folder that you cannot open For example although you use the same user name and password you may no longer have permission to open the folder after you complete the following steps Before you install Windows XP Professional you change the actual location or target location of the My Documents folder to another volume You format the primary partition You install Windows XP Professional RESOLUTION To resolve this issue you must turn off Simple File Sharing and then take ownership of the folder Turn off Simple File Sharing a Click Start and then click My Computer b On the Tools menu click Folder Options and then click the View tab c Under Advanced Settings click to clear the Use simple file sharing Recommended check box and then click OK Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of and then click Properties Click the Security tab and then click OK on the Security message if one appears Click Advanced and then click the Owner tab In the Name list click your user name Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator or click the Administrators group If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box Click OK You may receive the following error message where Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of You do not have permission to read the contents of directory Folder Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes Click Yes Click OK and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents --------------------------------------------- - - - - - - - --------------------------------------------- This is the exact problem I have and i ve followed the instructions until quot click to clear the Use simple file sharing Recommended check box quot because there appears to be no check box under this description I have over gig of ireplaceable files in this folder i would really appreciate some more assistance I m using Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition sp as i said before it would be a lifesaver if you could help me gain access to the folder Paul Travers nbsp

A:Access Denied to My Documents folder after reinstallation of windows xp please help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-denied-to-my-documents-folder-after-reinstallation-of-windows-xp-please-help.460845/
Relevancy 70.52%

I m new to XP and this forum and I m struggling with the multiple users environment The background is I got a new PC from DELL with XP pre loaded When prompted to enter names of users I listed four myself my wife and two children A day or so later I decided to alter things to three users deleting one of the children filesin user Spurious settings name and 'documents s accounts and re-naming the Spurious user name filesin 'documents and settings other as Kids Everything is fine on the log in screens - and it all works great BUT when I looked in Documents and Settings I saw the old child s account still listed and a duplicate of my wifes file but with the extension DELL So instead of seeing Kids Sheila Mike along with the all users shared etc etc I get something unexpected Kids Rachel Sheila Sheila DELL Mike It gets more confusing to me at least I ve had to do a couple of system restores problems with old device drivers for old devices and I m now seeing Kids Rachel Sheila Sheila Sheila DEL Sheila DELL Mike Something to do with the restorer I figured but if so why do all the spurious user files contain different sub folders Why are extra files generated for one user only Why is a deleted username still there I d love to get to the bottom of it cos I don t like what I don t understand Also it would make life easier when configuring each users start desktop etc options if I new which file was the real one I ve tried just deleting the weird ones but as you d imagine that just screws up their start menu and desktop etc Any ideas And whilst I m here is there any way to install a program onto a limited users account and no others whilst they are logged on and from within their environment Did I once see a pop up screen allowing me to select a different user and password or was I just wishing one would appear Appreciate any help thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/spurious-user-name-filesin-documents-and-settings.145406/
Relevancy 70.52%

I was forced to reinstall Windows one time, but I didn't wipe out my hard drive. So now I have these files in my C:\Documents and Settings\{old user account name} that I can't seem to get rid of.
Everytime I try to delete the folder or files within the folder, an error message says, "Cannot delete {folder/file name}: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."
This seems strange because my hard drive is only 50% full and the file cannot possibly be in use because it's not affiliated with Windows anymore, since I reinstalled it.
I want to delete it because these files take up hundreds of megabytes and creates fragments in my hard drive.
Help would be appreciated.

A:Deleting old user documents and settings files.

See this KB to Take ownership of the files/folders you want to delete

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/deleting-old-user-documents-and-settings-files-105525.html
Relevancy 70.52%

during startup i get a pop-up displaying message Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\give.exe.

in addition when sutting down, it says end program-sylePromotion.exe,
which then shows the program is not responding.I have to choose End Now
for pc to continue shutdown.

The pc is not connecting to the internet and is becoming very slow. Am i virus infected? have scanned with AVG 9.0 but nothing is found.

can anyone please help?

thanx

DB

A:Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\giv.exe

Hello and welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

Download the tools needed to a flash drive or other removable media, and transfer them to the infected computer, if you don't have access to internet.

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/windows-cannot-find-c-documents-and-settings-user-giv-exe-452348.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Alrite ive got an emachines notebook running xp home on it We bought it from best buy and i guess they registered the computer to a valued customer and its really annoying Idk how the user name stuff works but i think a while ago not positive cuz it was like years ago when we first got the computer i changed the admin valued User few a :) and Settings? just Documents questions names? customer name to my name but the my documents folder defaulted to c documents and settings valued customer still i fixed it by making a folder on c with my name and made that folder the target location for the My Documents folder but i was just wondering if there was any way to Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :) get rid of that dumb c documents and settings valued customer folder every time i delete it it comes back and if there was any way that i Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :) could change the computer from being registered to valued customer to me thanks for the help in advance guys nbsp

A:Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :)

You'd have to make a new account. Then get on the admin account, change the new account to admin, then get on the new admin account and delete the 'valued customer.'
That should work...
Experience: so so, still learning (i like that)
-blitze

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-and-settings-user-names-just-a-few-questions.389788/
Relevancy 70.09%

For some reason, the folders "my music", "my pictures", and "my videos" get the error "access is denied" in windows explorer/documents/.
I've checked in properties/security and I have full access to the folders as admin. and as the individual user that I'm logged in as.

We recently upgraded from windows xp pro to vista and had a few problems with our antivirus program. We had been using avira free antivir but it caused a conflict with online armor firewall so we switched to avg free. I ran some virus scans a couple of days ago and adwcleaner found about 8 items, and eset found around 14. This was unusual - when we were running xp and avira we never got this many.
We're running windows vista business on a dell optiplex gx620.
Help appreciated.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/531424/windows-explorerdocumentsmy-music-not-accessible-access-is-denied/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi,

C:\documents and settings\user\cookies\index.dat

I am using windowsXP.
I could not delete the contents of the above file as it says that the file is in use but I did not launch any programs at all. So what must I do to delete the contents of the file index.dat
Thanks

Relevancy 69.66%

I want to move my User folder off of the C drive Besides the Administer built-in I am the sole user of the computer I have two methods one is symbolic and_or and Settings? Moving Documents Folder User links one is mirrored links recommended I was wondering what role the folder Documents and Settings has to do It seems to contain identical info as the users files what is the point Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? The questions are Do I need to move both of my User folders one in Users and the other in Documents and Settings Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? Why Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? is there a Documents and Settings folder anyway and what is it used for I am using a Vortex GB SSD for C drive does that fact impact the move of my User folder Would it be easier just to mover the whole User folder instead of just mine I am the only user of the computer Again will I have to move the Documents and Settings corresponding files Does the drive Users is moved to have to be a Primary Drive or can it be a Logical Anybody have any answers about the Users vs Docs and Settings folders Any tips on moving the users to a larger drive would be appreciated I run all of Adobe Creative Cloud software so Users is getting big Dbellas ASUS P T-v I - CPU GB RAM PNY NVIDIA Quddro GPU Vertex GB SSD - T Segate GB G-TECH RAID EXTERNAL iHAS DVD PIONEER BD-CD - ASUS Q MONITOR WINDOWS x

A:Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings?

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish.  If you are trying to move these files to another computer why not just clone the operating system with a program like Marcium Reflect.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503499/moving-user-folder-and-or-documents-and-settings/
Relevancy 69.66%

not sure what causes this but I have seen it before.

the sys is Windows XP SP3

I had one machine that has gone out on loan during repairs and it now has several orphaned User folders under Documents & Settings, which did not have security set on them, have been emptied, but I would like to cleanup the mess. Logged in as Administrator and in safe mode I cannot delete these. I think this is one of those naming issues where the real name is not what's showing?? something like that.

how do I ditch these? I figure i might could slave it to a Win7 system, take over the files, then delete. that's a lotta work so if there's a quick way, that's better

Relevancy 69.66%

Hello, one of the user profiles in Windows XP Pro has disappeared. I cannot recover the files because the folder in Documents and Settings has disappeared too. I am running a virus scan now. Any help in how this could have happened?

A:User profile on XP Pro disappeared, folder in Documents and Settings gone

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-on-xp-pro-disappeared-folder-in-documents-and-settings-gone.734092/
Relevancy 69.23%

I have a small wired home network of 2 PC's. Everything worked fine on 7, on 8 I can see and open shared folders/files but cannot modify/delete them. You can see my settings below, common on both PC's. Tried both on/off for "turn on automatic setup...". On the shared folders in the 2nd PC, full read/write access is given to "Everyone" (using same settings that worked on 7). I've tried disabling security software and the router's firewall. Also tried using Homegroup and UAC on/off.

Nothing works.

A:Same settings as 7, access denied on 8.

WOW, you give access to about anyone on the net to your stuff. If you can open and read a share folder and can't delete a files, it's a permissions problem, the firewall on your router as nothing to do so enable it. I don,t know where to start to help you, you change so many setting. First: did you have the exact user name / password on both PC ?

Please try to avoid Image shack, use Photobucket, image shack open a lot of crap when we try too look at your pics

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/12771-same-settings-7-access-denied-8-a.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I recently bought new computers a router and networked the home It wasn t easy to changed Settings Documents User Change & name logon match Name but done I have the host computer and my children are each on wireless as clients Both children can access internet but Change Documents & Settings User Name to match changed logon name only can access printer I actually figured out the problem that s huge as Change Documents & Settings User Name to match changed logon name I m a network idiot My son s computer can t use printer is using my old computer with MY name on it I am on the new computer with MY name on it So when he tries to access the printer it doesn t know where to go I have windows xp HOME and from what I see I can t change the name on his computer the folder immediately under documents amp settings I followed instructions to copy from one folder to another ie Mine to his using a rd administrator account I could copy any account but mine Now I need help Can anyone offer any ideas Is there software that can do this I don t even mind changing the name on my present computer but it also is windows xp home I eagerly await your instructions Thank you from all of us nbsp

Relevancy 69.23%

Hi I recently repaired an XP Professional installation and now i no longer have the option to login but and windows settings start up at folder documents has no user login has to the old profile just a default profile with admin rights The profile still has its documents and settings folder with everything intact and all programs from the original profile seem to be in program files The user also does not appear in local users and groups I have even been able to move over the application data and open a program which remained authorized and had access to previous presets I also made a new profile and in the registry changed the profile image path to that of the old profiles folder I m not sure why it just seemed important to see the old desktop again which i do but all the paths for the programs or at least most of them are set to quot I quot changing the path to quot C quot worked on some programs anyway i user has no login at windows start up but has documents and settings folder digress what am i missing here am I able to regain the previous access nbsp

A:user has no login at windows start up but has documents and settings folder

If anyone could just point me in the right direction, i'll take it from there but i just dont know where to go from here.
is it a registry problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-has-no-login-at-windows-start-up-but-has-documents-and-settings-folder.1135598/
Relevancy 68.8%

This has happened with Windows PRO and Windows PRO now New PC Fresh install of windows nbsp All updates patches fixes etc installed I transfer the customers info to PC denied" .after Access "access . . PC documents to old transferring . new permissions . from error from their OLD pc windows in one instance windows vista in another After transfer the data IS accessible nbsp After reboot the data IS accessible nbsp after a few days quot access denied Access to documents "access denied" permissions error . . . . .after transferring from old PC to new PC quot error permissions error I can move the same file to Access to documents "access denied" permissions error . . . . .after transferring from old PC to new PC another location folder other than quot documents quot and the file will open fine I can transfer ALL The files to that location and the files will open fine IF I quot move quot the documents folder to the new location after a day access denied permissions error I am not doing anything that I haven't done over the last years VERY FRUSTRATING nbsp I believe it is a windows update of some sort that is causing the problem but cannot pin it down Any assistance is GREATLY appreciated John John Huber

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/07a45aaf-66b6-4104-a186-06e7313a7150/access-to-documents-quotaccess-deniedquot-permissions-error-after-transferring-from-old?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi We have a network with desktop PC's all running win pro and a server running sbs We have had an on going problem where permissions are stripped from the server for all users so we get 'access denied' messages when trying to access the shared drive Our IT support company couldn't get to the bottom of security settings Access C:\ etc. and to denied the problem but seemed to resolve it by copying the data to another location and setting up the permissions to Access denied to C:\ and security settings etc. the new location Two weeks pass with no problem then it re-occurs except this time the permissions are still in place but the are two deny rules in the security settings tab Deny administrators Deny users These were deleted and all users could then access the shared drive once more however this is where the nightmare begins The PC which first manifested the access denied message cannot access its own c drive getting the same access denied message It is possible to open files on this drive through shortcuts but you can't view it through a file explorer etc We then tried to look at changing user settings permissions security setting but these are all denied as is system restore Then this exact problem occured on another two PCs We have run countless spyware antivirus programs Malware bytes spybot eset all machines and drives come back clean Logging on in safe mode as a network administrator or a local admin makes no difference We can essentially do nothing to try to rectify the problem as no account seems to have permission to access anything One of the PC's has our accounts data on and we can't run Sage to do a backup However the drive on the affected PC's is partitioned Not sure if this is significant so we managed to access d and copy the company files but obviously until we resolve the issues we can't invoice any of our customer etc To me the fact that the permissions have been so completely removed to prevent as far as we can see any attempt to rectify the situation seems to indicate that this is down to some malicious software but as I said we can't find any Our IT support company seem to waver between this is a virus this is a bug but I don't honestly think they have a clue now If anyone out there can shed any light on this issue I would be so greatful it is now causing me so much stress and really affecting our ability to run our business Thanks in advances for reading the above essay Thanks Gareth

A:Access denied to C:\ and security settings etc.

Has anyone run chkdsk on any of these drives?
It does sound as if the security descriptors are in some way getting affected.
I am not sure if this can in some way be transferable to the client machines, it would depend on your topology.
But in the case of the share drive, if the file permissions and security descriptors become corrupt, the situation will manifest itself into a bigger issue. It would also seem to explain why the creation of the new share disk worked for some time, until it too became corrupt.

Here is a link to the different abilities that chkdsk offers.
Chkdsk

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/access-denied-to-c-and-security-settings-etc-635964.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Can't access Documents and Settings.
how access to it?

A:Can't access Documents and Settings

That is a symbolic link to your Documents and Settings. They are actually located at C:\Users\<yourname>.

Get to Know Windows 7 Libraries Inside and Out
Windows 7 Libraries: Frequently Asked Questions
Windows 7 Libraries: Walkthrough
Inside Windows 7:Introducing Libraries

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/232265-cant-access-documents-settings.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi

I connected my 160Gb HDD (has WinXP on 1 of 3 partitions) as a slave to another computer (with 40Gb HDD and also WinXP) to backup some files I stored in "My Documents" of the slave drive(i.e. 160Gb). The problem is I cannot access "D:\Documents & Settings"...it says something about not having enough rights/priviledges.

Does anyone know how this can be overcome? I have no problems with an 80Gb HDD that I tried previously.

A:Documents & Settings Access

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-settings-access.571795/
Relevancy 68.37%

I just booted my Windows 8 machine and it had to do a system restore for some reason, and I just noticed that I can't open C:\Documents and Settings... is this normal?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/490129/cant-access-documents-and-settings/
Relevancy 68.37%

I would like to be able to access the detail within this folder.
Access is currently denied by the system for both local and Administrater users.(and only me on comp)
I have already changed Folders view> hidden/hide protected
still no joy

any comments or a tutorial as im not the only one who would like to view these details

Roy

A:access documents and settings

Documents and Settings is not a real folder. It is called a Junction and it is there to allow legacy programs to interface with the Windows 8 folder structure.

Windows 8 uses C:\Users to store what was once in Documents and settings.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/38194-access-documents-settings.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I have an XP Pro 32-bit machine running with a secondary hard drive that has a Vista 64-bit system. I need to access the Documents and Settings folder on the secondary HD. However, I get access denied when I try to access that folder. I disabled simple file sharing, but the security tab is absent on that particular folder. It is present on other folders, including the accessible ones on the secondary HD.

Logging in as Administrator in safe mode did not help.

A:Can't access Documents and Settings

To clarify, you want to access documents on HDD2, in the Vista x64 file structure from HDD1, running Windows XP 32 bit?

If that's the case, you need to set the folder permissions to allow anyone to access it. You said that the security tab wasn't present when you went to file properties, so I think that means the folder you are trying to change is a subfolder of a directory that has private permission settings.

For example, if you wanted to be able to access My Pictures inside the My Documents folder, I believe you would have to first change the permissions to My Documents, then go to My Pictures and change the permissions. Keep going up one level at a time from the folder you want to share and change the permissions. Let me know if this works.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-access-documents-and-settings-521068.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Computer Information:

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
Version 2002, Service Pack 2

HP AMD Turion 64 Mobile ML-34
1.58 GHz 1GB RAM

Recently I had to use PC recovery (hard drive not disks) because windows would not load due to registery files in the hive. I then chose the option not to delete anything but to replace what windows came with thinking I woud not loose any of my files.

Now when I log in I had to create a new account. It's an administrative one, and when I looked for some of my files in My Documents and Settings I chose my old profile folder but it says it is empty and the message "access denied" pops up when I try and open it. My question is, Are those files deleted, or can I recover them?

A:HELP: Access to Documents and Settings/

Sure this is a stupid question, but did you check Control PAnel/Users just to make sure there arnt any other users loaded

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-access-to-documents-and-settings.570366/
Relevancy 68.37%

hi people...i have removed my only admin account from the administors group and now i could not do anything in my pc..it is just a local user account now and i also have no other account assigned as admin and my built in admin account is disabled.
any help is appreciated..thank you in advance

A:user access denied

You still have the built-in administrator.

To enable please follow these steps:

Press - Windows key + X
click "Computer Management"
locate and click "local Users and groups"
click "Users" - Note: this is where you are in the screenshot
Right Click "Administrator"
Click "set password.."
Click "Proceed"
Type in a suitable password and click "Ok"
Open the "Administrator"
in the general tab - Untick "Account Disabled"
Click "Ok"
Sign out of user and login in as the Administrator account you have just enabled.

Just found the Tutorial section has a post on this as well:

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

Cheers,
Harry

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/40584-user-access-denied.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi, about a week ago, I had to do a System Restore, because 2 programs were not working properly.
Anyway, My account was named "Mama". I have tons of pictures, music and stuffs I would like to get back. The account is still there. I can see the folder in Disk C, Document and settins, Mama.
When I try to open it to see whats in there, it says " C:\Document and Settings\<Account>Is not accesible. Access Denied.

Could somebody help me? I really want my picture collection and music back.

Thanks.

A:C:\Document and Settings\<Account>Is not accesible.

Hi Pucho8 and welcome to TSF !

Don't worry, there's an easy fix for that. Follow the instructions from this link :
Note that if you're using XP Home you'll have to restart in safe mode and log as the administrator in order to access the security tab.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/c-document-and-settings-account-is-not-accesible-175490.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I had this nightmware with Vista, but it was easy to fix. Just take ownership. But a scan shows I have many tracking cookies, but Win 7 won't let me access it. Denied. I clicked the 'turn off password' thing, but still cannot access docs and settings, cookies, and many other useful folders.

Very annoying, since I am the only user and logged on.

A:Access denied to cookies, docs & settings, etc

Have you done this? Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable[2]=User Accounts

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/38833-access-denied-cookies-docs-settings-etc.html
Relevancy 67.94%

When trying to change MSConfig settings > services; I receive an error ms
"An Access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service you may need to log on using an Admistrator Account to make the specified changes.
I am logged on as Administrator. There is onnly one account (me as admin) other than guest shows up under user accounts. I tried change the name and password then restarted. same error

Relevancy 67.51%

Hi sorry to be one of those guys whos first post is one asking for help but here I am so I appreciate any and all help and hope one day I can reciprocate the favor I also havent seen this problem described anywhere else online and thought people may find it fascinating as well When logging into the Primary user with admin privaledges account the desktop no longer has files and icons it used to have and the start menu no longer shows the User XP redirected set empty and documents account of to login settings folders Windows list of dfault or frequently opened programs some programs but not all are also Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders missing from the start menu programs section If I open my documents from the start menu it takes me to an empty folder not even my music or my pictures default folders inside I also have restricted permissions and cannot change any of the folder view options such as show hidden files Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders and folders When examing the Documents and settings folder I found a new folder called quot TEMP quot inside are the standard user account folders application data local settings documents desktop etc these folders now contained whatever I put in the my documents folder or on the desktop The actual user name being logged into still has its folder located in the documents and settings folder and still has its files and folders intact It seems that the login however now has these new TEMP folders associated with it and a scan of Malware bytes has revealed nothing more then an ask com adware toolbar but I believe the virus may have been removed prior to me having the computer in my possesion So is there a way to undo this login redirect or should I just create a new user account and move the files into it Edit more info in the event log is this is event source userenv Event ID Type Error Description Windows cannot load the user s profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system DETAIL - Access is denied Steps I have taken so far ran CHKDSK to automaticaly fix filesystem errors only minor inconsistencies were found like unused index entries Had to set static network ip information to connect to the internet certain windows folders like windows registration had no permissions for administrators or system Edit looks like I have found a solution and its possible that this profile issue was simply a coincidence but this KB article has fixed the issue by changing the profile registry key maybe someone else will find it usefull http support microsoft com kb

A:Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders

Welcome aboard Let's see, if we can recover your missing features.Download and run UnHideThen....Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.=============================================================================Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList last 10 Event Viewer logList Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result.=============================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt=============================================================================Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.IMPORTANT! If for some reason GMER refuses to run, try again.If it still fails, try to UN-check "Devices" in right pane.If still no joy, try to run it from Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/408043/windows-xp-user-account-login-redirected-to-empty-set-of-documents-and-settings-folders/