Windows Support Forum

Installation Problems of Windows XP onto SATA HD. SATA Drive not recognized.

Q: Installation Problems of Windows XP onto SATA HD. SATA Drive not recognized.

Hi i m of SATA onto Drive Problems Windows recognized. XP SATA Installation not HD. new to this site but very familiar with technology i built this machine myself im currently running off my old HD but i want to reinstall windows onto my new SATA hardrive GB this one is an IDE The BIOS and Nvidia Raid config recognize the drive but the Installation Problems of Windows XP onto SATA HD. SATA Drive not recognized. windows installation does not I was reading this thread on this site that i foudn from google http forums techguy org hardware -bios-windows-do-not-recognize html because he has the same MB as myself but different hard drives I am currently in the process of trying what he did but i do not have a floppy drive I only have a CD drive and a GB floppy drive i m going to try these routes first for the configuartion software but if not im going to see if i can find one laying around IF i cant find one and the CD flash drive don t work is there another way to try the methods described in the previous web link Hard Drives are Western Digital Caviar nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Installation Problems of Windows XP onto SATA HD. SATA Drive not recognized.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Installation Problems of Windows XP onto SATA HD. SATA Drive not recognized.

Most newerBIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting, change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( Verbage will vary by manufacturer )

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installation-problems-of-windows-xp-onto-sata-hd-sata-drive-not-recognized.773644/
Relevancy 101.91%

new here but i have been doing a lot of trawling for help fairly new to this whole tech thing so please forgive anything i write which is nonsense my setup - p ghz p p se mobo gb corsair pc ram dvd writer cd writer gb seagate ide hdd winxp sp geforce fx my problem i have just bought a gb maxtor SATA hdd but am having problems using it if i plug the drive into sata port the pc hangs during bootup at the 'hit DEL to enter setup screen' if i hit DEL the screen moves to say 'entering setup' but goes no further unplug the drive and everything works fine i was under the impression that sp contained all relevant drivers for sata drives am i wrong I have not specifically installed any drivers for sata controllers i am similarly unable to boot from the cd when this drive is connected i am open to suggestions as to how i can install and use this drive - do i need any additional drivers do i need to install installation SATA problems with drive any rd party drivers from the mobo disc on a reinstall of windows help

A:installation problems with SATA drive

The Serial ATA controller is not automatically recognized during Windows 2000/XP installation. You will have to install drivers for the SATA controller to be able to install Windows 2000/XP onto a SATA drive. If you do not install the SATA controller drivers, Windows will not recognize the SATA drive.

The drivers for your SATA controller need to be available on a floppy disk otherwise you won't be able to install them during the operating system installation process. Should you only have a CD, copy the driver files onto a floppy before attempting to install Windows 2000/XP. If you do not know how to copy the drivers to a floppy you may go out to the manufacturer's website and download the driver onto a floppy.

During Windows setup, you will be prompted to press F6 to "install additional controller drivers", at this point insert the floppy diskette with the SATA controller drivers and follow the onscreen instructions.
After the drivers have been installed you can continue with the Windows installation.

You also mentioned that you weren't able to boot from cd when the SATA drive was installed. Look in your BIOS make sure cd-rom is 1st Boot Drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/installation-problems-with-sata-drive-44888.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Alright well I ve been working on trying to get this work for what seems to be forever now At least a good week or so Here s the deal I built this computer myself years ago and my current hard drive just fried and i had to replace it So i bought a new Hard Drive gig hitatchi deskstar model number HDT VLA and plugged it into the computer bought a new Windows XP XP! my SATA Can't recognized Windows by drive get hard CD old one was scrached for some reason and started to run Windows XP so i could get everything back up and running I go through Press F on the screen that comes up to install SCSI RAID drivers and such Hit S to download from a floppy then select the driver that has Windows XP next to it hit enter sends Can't get my SATA hard drive recognized by Windows XP! me back to the same screen i hit S on then i hit enter again to continue Here s where the problem kicks in window then sends me to the screen where you hit hinter to install a new windows and then R to repair I hit enter and then it says quot setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer quot The drivers i tried to install are the Windows XP drivers not the windows XP bit that are on MSI s website for the motherboard I have K T neo MS- E ver So since it couldn t detect my hard drive I have been on an everlasting quest to find out what I need to do to get my computer back up and running p s Is there a way to see through bios if my hard drive disk is even being detected by the computer at all p s s Could there be any other problem besides poor installation or bad drivers nbsp

Relevancy 100.62%

I have an asus a7v600-x mobo, with 512 mb of pc3200 ram. i am using a maxtor diamondMax plus 9 80gb SATA hard drive. everything is brand new, fresh out of the box from tiger direct. here's my problem . . .

during the installation process of win xp (or 2kpro, cause i tried it, too), after the setup files have been loaded, and the screen changes to the option to install xp or repair on lod installation, i press enter to install, and i am told there is no hard drive, then the entire computer just shuts down! the sata drive is recognized during POST, so i am confused. the mobo came with a cdrom that has drivers, etc on it, but with no OS, i can't run it. this very same process has occured about twenty times, with me trying to find something in BIOS to tweak to get it to run.

help me, please!!!!!

A:SATA Drive not recognized by windows during install

There is an option to load other drivers by pressing F6, you may need to consult the MB manual to get the drivers off the CD that came with it and put them on a floppy disk.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-drive-not-recognized-by-windows-during-install.336949/
Relevancy 99.76%

I just built my first computer (specs in signature) with a SATA hard drive. I put the windows XP Pro CD and it formatted my Hard drive the it installed windows, but it says that windows could not start due to a hardware configuration problem. Is there some special thing I need to set to get it to boot from the drive or what? Any help would be greatly apreciated, thanks in advance.

Relevancy 97.18%

Hey guys,

I just purchased a samsung sata dvdrom - this is an upgrade from my old failing IDE drive. My motherboard (an Asus A8V Deluxe) has 2 sata connectors, and another 2 raid sata connectors - the 2 regular connectors are being used up by HDD's...

The question is, can I use one of the Raid Sata's for the dvdrom? (I've tried this already with no luck, I'm wondering if there are any bios settings that'll help with this?)

If this isn't possible, can I plug the hdd's into the raid sata's and not use the raid functionality?

Thanks for your help, I look forward to replies!

A:[SOLVED] Sata vs Raid Sata? DVDRom not recognized

No the raid sata port need a raid driver and won't work with optical drives, you would be able to use the non-boot hard drive on it however and put the DVD drive on the standard sata port. Unless you already have the hard drives in a raid config.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-sata-vs-raid-sata-dvdrom-not-recognized-405390.html
Relevancy 96.75%

I am still having the same issue I installed the hard drive and get the same msg So i hooked up a ide hard drive with a working OS windows xp pro and tryed to download the mobo drivers onto that hard drive so it would see the sata drive It failed I used partition magic i spent about hrs trying to get the ide hard drive to regonise the sata drive Again it failed No matter what i do i cannot get this hard drive to be seen by the motherboard Motherboard Aopen vK T a-LFa CPU AMD bit gh Hard drive WB drive Windows on SATA Installation YB sata raid I am trying to get windows xp pro on to the hard drive Or atleast get the board to see the drive All attempts Windows Installation on SATA drive have failed I just gopt the drive new from ebay Im going to have it tested tomorow to be sure it is not broken Another thing it does is When you plug in the serial ati and the power plug the drive does not even power up or spin If i take out the serial ati and just leave the power on It powers up and i can hear it working but the mobo wont see it due to no serial ati hooked in Any programs or things you may know that will helkp me get this to work would be great This entire system is new I orderd all the parts and have been putting it together for aboiut a week now Windows Installation on SATA drive Everything is great other then this hard drive Thank you -Kevler nbsp

A:Windows Installation on SATA drive

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-installation-on-sata-drive.561973/
Relevancy 96.75%

I have a WesternDigital 500GB Sata harddisk, which I have been using as external drive and works fine. Recently, I tried to use it as my primary drive and install windows XP on it. But I failed despite many attempts. When I run windows installation on this drive, it starts fine. The set up allows me to create partitions and copies files to the hard drive, but as soon as the computer reboots after copying files, the set up stops and a blue screen appears.

One more thing, when I perform a normal format on the drive, it starts but doesn’t proceed at all, despite waiting for hours, however a quick format woks fine. Please help!

Relevancy 95.89%

Need some help from anyone I'm trying to install Windows on a WD gb freshly formatted to NTFS Windows first copies the files and then says its starting up and then hangs up My bios fails/sata 7 2 installation Windows drive see's the hard drive and knows it's there I never get a chance to use F to load the Sata drivers that I have on a floppy drive It never asks me I first tried to load with the Sata Drive unpartitioned but that failed So I am now trying to do it on a formatted drive I'm not sure if the problem Windows 7 installation fails/sata 2 drive is that Windows doesn't recognize that I have a Sata Drive attached Can anyone give me some ideas for things to try Jack I took the motherboard processor and ram back to Frys and got store credit I changed from a Gigabyte motherboard to an Asus motherboard same processor and associated ram Windows loaded with no problems Fry's stated that the motherboard must have been bad due to the issues that I was having The processor and ram were suspected to be good When I loaded Windows I didn't have to load any Sata drivers the bios and windows picked up the Sata Drive with no problems Thanks for the help

A:Windows 7 installation fails/sata 2 drive

See if this helps.
http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...-problems.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/45125-windows-7-installation-fails-sata-2-drive.html
Relevancy 95.89%

Hi there,

I have been trying to install my Windows 7 Home Premium on my SATA III (WD500GB) drive but it cannot read it. I use Asus P7H55-M/USB3 motherboard and I have updated BIOS version to latest 0901.

My SATA III drive was installed using SATA III cable (came supplied with mobo) and I have trial-and-errored both IDE and AHCI modes with Marvell 91xx driver but my Windows 7 still cannot find my SATA III drive.

I have searched this forum and cannot find a solution to my problem. I really hope someone here can help me.

Thanks so much!

A:Windows 7 installation cannot read SATA III Drive

Try using the Intel drivers from here:
Intel Sata Controller Drivers

SATA Driver - Load in Windows 7 or Vista Setup

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/134558-windows-7-installation-cannot-read-sata-iii-drive.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Ok setting up my comp, nothing major we've found, until ........
.............. installing windows xp

The pc boots it from the cd, starts installtaion, does the format thing, copies files to installtion folders, then reboots as normal .......
... and starts from scratch all over again, except that there is a windows install there, 'cos it tells me so, and warns me about installling another OS.
It just doesnt appear to go to the next part of the installation - I'm just stuck in a loop.

I've tried it with and without doing the F6, and using the floppy with the mobo RAID drivers on, no difference.

Any advice gratefully received

Oh I've got:
Matrox DiamondMax Plus 9 sata hard drive
ABIT SATA IS7 mobob
windows xp home edition

A:windows xp - sata hard drive - installation probs

After the f6, do you get any indication the drivers are installed? When you reboot, does the bios give you a message to the effect of no serial storage device installed?
You can also try hitting f6 much earlier in the install, don't wait for the prompt. Tap f6 as soon as it starts booting from the cd, until you get a slightly different installing mass storage drivers screen, and when you get to the normal screen, it will show them as already installed. When you reboot, the bios should give no message about mass storage. The Abit board may not give you the same message, it was on an Aopen board I saw that problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-sata-hard-drive-installation-probs.143872/
Relevancy 94.6%

I hope somebody can help me I just bought identical hard drives Western Digital Raptor SATA Windows stability installation problems RAID H.D. XP with Giga Sata drives that I wanted to RAID- using the motherboard controller I have on the ASUS A N X Windows XP installation stability problems with SATA RAID H.D. deluxe which is called Silicon Image Sil A controller so first of all I plugged the sata wires and I started my PC Barton and setting up the Windows XP installation stability problems with SATA RAID H.D. RAID- pressing F this operation was succesfull and the bios recognize the hard drives with no problems at all and no conflict After that I started installing Windows XP PRO using the floppies the one containing the Sata Raid controller drivers necessary for WIN to be recognised I downloaded these drivers from the ASUS website after unzipping the file after a while WIN asked me to Windows XP installation stability problems with SATA RAID H.D. insert the floppy containing the drivers since I pressed the F option that initially the installing program ask if a SATA RAID OR SCSI controller need to be installed Windows XP PRO recognised the drivers with the only problem that were not digitally signed and this could be the cause of Windows Instability problems I pressed to quot continue anyway quot button and the installation proceeded normally even though the same message advising me of istability problems appeared a couple of times more exactly right before WIN XP PRO ask you the time region you are located etc At the end the program booted and Windows XP PRO was launched properly This only happened times because at the fourth time I turned on the PC one blue screen appeared and freezed the system launching WIN XP PRO in the safe mode was not changing anything always the blue screen and after that nothing and just rebooting rebooting and rebooting So is there a way I can install WINDOWS XP PRO on my new SATA hd drives with RAID- without having this big problem My modo bios is updated with the latest rev so I think the problems are that the raid controller sil a s drivers are not digitally signeed and this cause the instability that now means no Windows at all because of the blue screen Can somebody help me or does somebody have any suggestion I would really appreciate your help Thank you Erwin nbsp

A:Windows XP installation stability problems with SATA RAID H.D.

This driver ( Asus A7N8X Deluxe Silicon Image Serial ATA RAID driver version V1.0.0.281) seems more recent then the one available on the ASUS website. It might be worth a try.

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-installation-stability-problems-with-sata-raid-h-d.15463/
Relevancy 93.31%

I know there are many different versions of this problem, here is mine:

I have a Dell Precision 360 with a motherboard code W2563 (specific manuf?). It's a 2004 machine, so I'm assuming that the 2 sata ports on it are sata I, not II. So I got a WD 250gb sata II drive and set the jumper to 150 mode and got the power adapter. I go into Bios and I don't see the drive, I tried to change the sata drive setting, but it only goes to "unrecognized device". When I try to run the XP pro setup, it stops at a screen saying I don't have a hard drive hooked up. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to format it or something?

Thanks very much for your help.

A:Sata drive not recognized

XP doesn't have any SATA drivers.

Installing XP on a SATA drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-drive-not-recognized.702854/
Relevancy 93.31%

Trying to change hard drives to a WD 350 gig sata.
The A8v motherboard does not recognize the drive,in the Bios its not there,even though I changed the sata to enabled.
It's not in the boot sequence,I tried placing jumpers on it,to no avail and the Asus website isn't helpful at all.
Is there anything I can do that I haven't done?
Here are the total spec's,A8v motherborad,AMD 939 64 CPU,1 gig corsair memory,had a DVD and CD player.

Relevancy 93.31%

I began a clean install of Windows Vista on a recently built computer. However, the vista setup does not detect my Seagate 320 gb hdd - so it can't install.

The install said I needed drivers, but I can't find my motherboard cd that has them (GA P35C DS3R - ICH9R controller). Does anyone know which drivers will work?

Thanks

Relevancy 93.31%

usb sata drive not recognized
Have a 500gb sata usb drive that has been working fine. had it on and unplugged my printer cable form back of computer. error came up that the drive had not closed and or been written to and that data would be lost. shut down usb drive and now XP pro sp2 will not acknowledge. have a 200 gb ide drive that mounts fine. have celeron 3.2mhz cpu, abit sg-80 mobo w/512 ram. no info on microsoft for such a problem??
any ideas??? is there a HD recovery tool???

A:usb sata drive not recognized by xp

Hi
Are you sure you unplugged the right usb cable because it should not have come up with that error.
I know before you can unplug a usb pendrive it has to be closed through windows first otherwise you can damage the pendrive making it un-usable.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-sata-drive-not-recognized-by-xp-225198.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Have a 500gb sata usb drive that has been working fine. had it on and unplugged my printer cable form back of computer. error came up that the drive had not closed and or been written to and that data would be lost. shut down usb drive and now XP pro sp2 will not acknowledge. have a 200 gb ide drive that mounts fine. have celeron 3.2mhz cpu, abit sg-80 mobo w/512 ram. no info on microsoft for such a problem??
any ideas???

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-sata-drive-not-recognized-225057.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Hey guys,

I just got a Western Digital 80GB SATA drive for Chirstmas and went to install it, but the drive was never recognized. I tried installing Windows and Linux onto it, but neither saw. Even after install the drivers from the motherboard CD, it did not work. I now have Windows installed on a IDE drive and am trying to use the SATA drive as a secondary, but no such luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Stats:
Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU
MSI VIA KM400 Motherboard
Athlon XP 1.6 Ghz
512MB DDR RAM
Mad Dog 5.1 / Onboard Sound
40GB WD HD
15GB QF HD
ATi AIW 9600

Thanks!

A:SATA Drive Not Recognized

You CAN NOT use a SATA drive and an IDE drive on the same channel.
Move the SATA HD to the other controller

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-drive-not-recognized.40496/
Relevancy 93.31%

Earlier this week the SATA cable connector broke on one of my drives so I had to replace it. I was able to use it but cable would all off easily so I was able to use the original drive to clone a new one.

While cloning, I disconnected my second hard drive (Power and SATA data connector). After completing cloning the boot drive, I reconnected the second hard drive and it is not being seen by the system.

I have tried putting the SATA connector in the other positions on the motherboard but none cause the drive to be recognized.

It is hard to believe that this drive failed when all I did was disconnect it's cables. Is there something else that can be done to revive this drive?

Relevancy 93.31%

I added a 2nd SATA drive (Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model HDS722516VLSA80) to my system. When I powered up WinXP Pro recognized "new hrdware found"....then I did NOT get the normal "hardware ready for use" message.

Sure enough when I go to Windows Explorer and look for the drive...nada. When I look at the Device Manager both drives are shown. What do I do to make this drive available??? Thanx!

A:2nd SATA Drive NOT RECOGNIZED

Has no one found an answer to this as yet?
Ive got the same problem with my additional Sata drive plugged into an Asus motherboard with sata sockets. Sata drivers of motherboard installed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2nd-sata-drive-not-recognized.258388/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi everyone I am a newbie so please be gentle One morning my XP machine only booted the the XP screen and the blue harizontal bar just kept going in a loop and no further Tried booting in safe mode and received the BSOD Tried installing a fresh copy of XP to be told no drives were detected on the system Have now bought a new SATA hard drive and disconnected the old one On boot-up the new drive is NOT auto-detected and the BIOS states that no hard drive was found There is no setting in the BIOS to recognized drive not hard SATA manual force a drive recognition If I disconnect the cables attached SATA hard drive not recognized to the new disk and reconnect the old disk the original problem is shown which I am asuming means the cables are OK The motherboard is an ASUS A V Deluxe and the new drive is a Samsung HD HJ This is driving me daft and fast approaching a drop test of the computer from a great height Any suggestions gratefully appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 92.02%

I have 2 drives hooked up to my computer. The main boot drive with Win XP on it is IDE. I have a second drive that is SATA. I want to use the SATA drive as extra storage space but my pc won't recognize it. During the boot sequence it appears that the SATA drive is recognized by the system but as soon as I get into windows and look in My Computer, there is no extra drive there. I looked in disc management too and the drive wasn't shown there either. Any ideas?

Relevancy 92.02%

hello, i just purchased a 120 gb ssd and installed windows 7 64 bit on my computer. I had a sata drive before with windows 7 64 bit too. Now that i want to make the sata my slave drive it does not show up in my computer. I have to say that i wanted to clean the sata drive and uninstall windows 7 and just use it for storage, so what i did was to insert my windows 7 disc and i deleted the operating system from there and then i quit the installation. is there anything i can do to make my sata drive appear in my computer and use it as a storage/application drive?

I already tried to connect both drives with only one sata cable that has connection for master and slave but it does not work and it does not work either with 2 separate cables.

A:SATA hard drive not recognized

What computer/mobo model?
SATA drives don't use a Master/Slave designation. They are connected to channels (0,1, etc.). I can't quite imagine what cable you found that has two SATA connectors.
Make sure the relevant channels are enabled in the BIOS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-hard-drive-not-recognized.152609/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hello,
I have an HP m7350n multi-media computer running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (4 gigs RAM, 3.5 recognized due to motherboard limitations I think) and I recently replaced one of the DVD drives with a SATA BDRom/DVDwriter (Samsung DVDWBD SH-B083L). Windows recognizes both drives. However, my favorite burning program (Divx 7 player) no longer recognizes either of the drives. My favorite DVD burning program (TMPG Authoringworks 4) only recognizes the pre-existing IDE drive.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can try to fix this?

Thanks

A:new SATA optical drive not recognized

uninstall both rom-drives in device manager reboot and windows should reinstall both drives if the sata drivers are installed.
the sata drive should install ok. also check the position of the drive on the ide cable master /slave
also check the hp web site for updates of drivers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-sata-optical-drive-not-recognized.917759/
Relevancy 92.02%

So I have an Asus A8V Deluxe mobo with the VIA VT8237 chipset and I recently bought this newer WD SATA drive: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822136075

After install, the drive is not recognized by mobo. There are many comments on newegg there and other places on the web, hell, WD's own site that say you have to use jumpers across 5/6 to get the drive to go down in speed and be recognized by dated boards like mine.

Too bad this doesn't work for me! I tried it using both primary and secondary sata ports, new cables, and all jumper config pairs on both ports!

WD support has nothing to offer except a new drive, which I would guess would behave the same. But if the jumper fix works for all, why not me!!

A:WD SATA drive not recognized - even with jumper fix

Ok......

Is the BIOS configured to run the drive as IDE? If it's not, and you don't have a SATA controller installed, then BIOS will be looking for the drive for a long, long time

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-sata-drive-not-recognized-even-with-jumper-fix.96496/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi
ive purchased a new Western digital 320gb SATA hard drive for my sons pc to replace a ide 80gb hard drive.
When connected and boots up the hd starts clicking and the light on pc stops flashing.
In the Bios the hd is showing with no name or size.
When i try and load xp from the disc it eventually starts to load then comes up with hard drive error.
Can you please advise if a faulty hard drive ?

A:SATA hard drive not recognized

The problem is likely a driver issue. Windows XP comes with few SATA/RAID controller drivers so it doesn't recognize hard drives connected to SATA connectors on most motherboards. One way around it is to go into the BIOS and change the controller mode to IDE. If you can do that, Windows setup should continue as if you installed an IDE drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-hard-drive-not-recognized.149388/
Relevancy 92.02%

recently purchased a western digital 400 gb sata hd and am using a ide to sata bridge to connect it to the ide cable from an external 3.5" enclosure. when everything is connected the usb port that the external hd is connected to only shows the ide to sata bridge driver. i only want the sata drive to function as an external drive for storage. am i missing something that i need to do to get this recognized in my computer in xp?

A:Sata hdd w/ ide to sata bridge not being recognized

This Western Digital 400 needs to be formatted. Use the Western Digital install program to set up the new drive... You may have to temporarily install the drive into your computer to do the formatting

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-hdd-w-ide-to-sata-bridge-not-being-recognized.107622/
Relevancy 91.16%

I have a HP nx6125 laptop with a WD 320 SATA drive that the BIOS doesn't see.

I have been able to boot up off the recovery disk and install XP to the C drive with no problems.

When it reboots to continue the install process, C drive is not seen by the BIOS and gives me a disk read error.

I pulled the CMOS battery thinking that would reset it but all it did was loose the time and date setting.

I removed the drive and connected it with an external USB adapter and all the XP install files seem to be there.

If I need to reinstall the BIOS files, how can I do that if that is the first thing that the system looks at when booting?

Any help would be appreciated.

A:SATA drive not recognized but formats and installs XP

Try the following.

Try updating the bios to the latest version which can be available from the vendor's website.
Try changing the data cables
Try a different brand.

hope that works.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-drive-not-recognized-but-formats-and-installs-xp.958581/
Relevancy 91.16%

I just built a new machine and I'm trying to install Vista on a OCZ Solid State 120 gb but it can't be found by Vista Setup.
The Drive does appear when I first boot the computer but doesn't show up as SATA in bios.
I'm running it as IDE (i also tried RAID without any luck)
I'm guessing that I should slipstream some drivers when offered by vista but I couldn't find any for Ocz....
Sorry if I'm I missing something fundamental (I have never installed Vista on SATA)
Please help
Thanks in advance
-Miro

A:[Vista 32-bit Install] SATA Drive Not Recognized

It should be seen like any other hard drive, don't know of ny drivers for a ssd.

With it set as IDE in the bios, Vista should find it with no problems, maybe a bad drive?

If the bios is set as Sata, then you would need the motherboard sata driver during Vista setup.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-32-bit-install-sata-drive-not-recognized.863952/
Relevancy 91.16%

My wife's computer has an EIDE drive installed. It will not take an internal SATA but can I use an external SATA drive via an USB port?

A:Solved: External SATA Drive Recognized

Yes. The machine sees just USB.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-sata-drive-recognized.1040576/
Relevancy 91.16%

Okay I have read a bunch about this topic and it s relation to AHCI but now I would appreciate some help I have a Sager NP Clevo D F which has an X board with the Intel ICH R controller and drives in RAID I just got an eSATA but no matter what the drive is not recognized At one point it showed up briefly in the Intel Matrix software but on not controller drive recognized ICH10 E-SATA then the program keeps refreshing and looping searching for new devices At one point I gave up and just unplugged the drive didn t think much of it because it wasn t being recognized even in the RAID controller settings but it somehow it broke my windows boot record but windows recovery was able to fix it I just want the eSATA drive to work QUESTION Do I have to enable E-SATA drive not recognized on ICH10 controller ACHI My BIOS only has RAID and AHCI options and when switching to AHCI Windows does not boot QUESTION Can E-SATA drive not recognized on ICH10 controller I still use RAID in AHCI mode I also read I have to reinstall Windows after switching to AHCI but QUESTION can I install Windows with an Image backup I think the answer is yes but I just want to be sure EDIT First off thank you for the help so far when I was a year old child I came here and got help with how to upgrade my graphics card I guess things have changed or I have just become more impatient lt rant gt So exactly what happens and how it happens is that I plug in and power on my external eSATA drive then I boot the computer E-SATA drive not recognized on ICH10 controller Windows -bit When it reaches the Windows logo loading screen it stays there I have to hard reset my computer and unplug the eSATA drive and then it fails to boot correctly Windows goes into self repair restore mode After a while it boots As far as AHCI I don t see a way of setting up RAID while using that setting I can use my drives separately but that is not possible in my current setup I may never use RAID ever again after this unless parity is absolutely necessary Also I would think the eSATA drive would show up on the boot order list since all my other SATA devices did however the external drive did not appear on the BIOS boot order list My solution right now is to try an eSATA Express Card adapter which should work completely separate from my internal SATA controller and AHCI stuff That s it for now but I will most likely add my progress to this post regardless Thank you for reading nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/e-sata-drive-not-recognized-on-ich10-controller.170203/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hello
I recently changed my media playing computer from an old Pentium 4 ruining XP, to a modern slim HP computer with Win 7.
Because much all of my data was stored on one SATA hard drive, I removed it and placed it in my new machine.
after a short time messing about I was able to "import" the disk to the Win 7 OS.
one of the things I tried was setting the new HD to offline and than back to online.
The current problem I am facing began after installing new nVidia drivers, the HD is listed as "invalid" in the disk manege screen and I am unable to do anything with it

any suggestion
should I try and re install drivers? it is listed as "working properly"
will the disk be recognized in XP?

A:SATA hard drive form XP is not recognized by Win 7

Hi Ariel and welcome to SevenForums,

please post a snapshot of your disk managment output.

HOW TO POST A SNAPSHOT OF DISK MANAGEMENT DISPLAY

Run disk management:
WIN | type DISKMGMT.MSC | ENTER
WIN is the key with the wavy flag.

Maximize the output of Disk Management:
ALT Spacebar key combo | X key
Drag the field separators (such as between Status and Capacity) to show entire field.

Make a snapshot:
WIN | type SNIPPING | ENTER
Click the New button.
Drag the cursor around the area you want to snip.
File | Save as | select save location and name | Save button

Post the snapshot:
Screenshot - How to post

This site might be able to help:
MS Fix it Center Online

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/120260-sata-hard-drive-form-xp-not-recognized-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Hello,
The ubcd4win bootable cd I made doesn't recognize sata hard drives. What drivers can I use to integrate into ubcd4win and how so my bootable cd will recognize my sata hard drive. Please help. I am a newbie.
Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-hard-drive-not-recognized-by-ubcdwin4-boot.683589/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi - I'm having a problem installing XP Pro SP on drive recognized XP install during SATA hard F6 not after Pro [SOLVED] my new WD hard drive The new HD is a SATA Gps jumpered for Gps My problem is almost exactly like the one described here SOLVED Unable to install XP Harddrive Error The solution provided there is exactly what i've found in other forums and blogs Once I got past a floppy drive problem that prevented me from loading the SATA drivers using the F key solution I finally was able to load the drivers from the floppy that came with my m b However after Windows setup started it got to the point after loading some drivers where it showed me the blue screen giving me choices - I chose to begin installing Windows XP So I clicked Enter and the next blue screen gave me the message quot Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer quot I've tried several different configurations in the BIOS but none worked Right now its at the default settings SATA is configured for RAID since my m b floppy contains [SOLVED] SATA hard drive not recognized after F6 during XP Pro install RAID Drivers Man I am at a loss I have no idea why I can't get XP installed Thank you for any help

A:[SOLVED] SATA hard drive not recognized after F6 during XP Pro install

You want to set the SATA to work as IDE . . not RAID, unless you have a RAID array. . . and you want the SATA drivers, not RAID drivers.

If you set the SATA controller to work as IDE you do not need the drivers on the floppy

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-sata-hard-drive-not-recognized-after-f6-during-xp-pro-install-619805.html
Relevancy 90.3%

I recently purchased a Seagate Momentus hard drive and a Sabrent USB SATA Hard Drive flat docking station to connect via usb to my Dell XPS L x laptop Upon putting the hard drive in the external enclosure and connecting to my laptop via usb my computer is not recognizing this external hard drive in disk management I can see it in device manager and it is listed as quot Jmicron SCSI Disk Device quot I can also see it in devices and printer listed as quot Jmicron quot However it is not recognized or listed in disk management and file explorer I am a novice when it comes to hardware issues as I am more of a software guy but I have tried everything I can find on the net to no avail ie uninstalling and installing the drivers using seagate utilities I cannot also see it in Seagates applications disabling fast startup windows devices and printers troubleshooting etc I suspect maybe incorrectly that this device is showing up as quot Jmicron SCSI disk device quot instead of a SATA drive but that is coming from someone who again does not know alot about the device hardware side I would like to make this external drive a full Win. 10 Not External SATA Hard Recognized Seagate 3.0 Drive USB backup for my windows laptop and any assistance that could be provided would be GREATLY appreciated Thanks for any help you may be

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/63983-usb-3-0-seagate-sata-external-hard-drive-not-recognized-win-10-a.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I have a near new HP Envy Phoenix - desktop computer i - nbsp It came with a SanDisk GB SATA SSD as the boot drive and a Seagate TB SATA drive as the second drive nbsp I want to replace the TB Seagate ST DM SATA drive with a larger TB Western Digital WD FZEX SATA drive nbsp I first put the WD ... when recognized - fine Digital SATA not drive Western works drive in an external USB SATA adapter formatted it GPT then successfully copied Western Digital SATA drive not recognized - works fine when ... all of the files from the Seagate drive to the WD drive nbsp I then removed the internal Seagate drive and replaced it with the larger WD drive nbsp The Version A BIOS does not recognize the WD drive and consequently the WD drive doesn't show up in Windows Disk Management nbsp If I put the Seagate drive back it works fine proving that nbsp there is nothing wrong with the SATA cable nbsp I tried resetting the BIOS to factory settings but still no luck nbsp Does anyone have any ideas nbsp Has this happened to anyone else

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Western-Digital-SATA-drive-not-recognized-works-fine-when/td-p/5620892
Relevancy 89.01%

Recently I decided to upgrade my hard disk storage space so I bought a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus GB SATA hard disk drive Upon installing the recognized hard after SATA Drive installing in CD/DVD BIOS disk not drive I entered the Bios and went into quot Intergrated Peripherals quot section and set the BIOS to recognize P-ATA S-ATA drives When I reboot the new Maxtor drive shows up in Windows Explorer and functions normally Also in Windows Explorer my CD DVD drive appears However when CD/DVD Drive not recognized in BIOS after installing SATA hard disk I put a CD/DVD Drive not recognized in BIOS after installing SATA hard disk cd in the drive and click on the drive in Explorer I get the message to quot Insert a disc into drive F quot The drive will not read the disc When I went into Device Manager the CD DVD drive shows up and says that it is functioning properly Strange So I rebooted and reset the BIOS to the setup defaults ie P-ATA Drive Only and when the computer boots up now the CD DVD drive functions normally but the Maxtor drive is now not recognized I understandObviously the Maxtor drive is not recognized because the BIOS is set for P-ATA drive only but why when the BIOS is set for P-ATA S-ATA is the CD DVD drive not recognized My computer specs are as follows Processsor Intel Pentium C GHz pin FSB Motherboard MSI i G ATX Bios AMI Bios RAM DDR SDRAM GB MB x PC Video nVidia GeForce FX MB AGP Sound CREATIVE SoundBlaster Audigy ZS Platinum Pro Hard Disk GB Ultra ATA HDD rpm Hard Disk Maxtor DiamondMax Plus GB SATA OS Windows XP PRo nbsp

A:CD/DVD Drive not recognized in BIOS after installing SATA hard disk

No one going to take a stab at this one. Please, I need some help here. Any advice would be appreciated

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-drive-not-recognized-in-bios-after-installing-sata-hard-disk.20209/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hello, I have a hard drive here that suddenly stopped working. It is a Western Digital Scorpio Black WE3200BEKT 320GB 2.5" internal laptop hard drive. The computer started to behave oddly and wouldn't respond, so it was shut down using the power button. Upon turning it on, the computer displayed the typical "Windows was not shut down correctly," but after trying to bypass that, the computer displayed something along the lines of "no system disk found, press any key." This screen wouldn't go away. Upon running the built in hard drive test, the utility couldn't find any disks.

I took out the drive and plugged it into my sata to USB adapter. The drive spun up but Windows could not recognize it, nor could any disk utility. It seems like the drive has failed.

What could have caused this, and what can be done to recover the data on the drive? Thanks!

A:Potential SATA Hard Drive Failure, Spins up but not recognized

welcome to Seven forums.
It would seem the drive has failed. If you have another PC available try attaching it directly to its motherboard to see if it can be read. If not you can try a program called SpinRite by Steve Gibson, but it costs $80.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/284708-potential-sata-hard-drive-failure-spins-up-but-not-recognized.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi Everyone You guys have always helped me out and not - 22 Catch Drive Safe Stuck recognized mode in Sata in the past so I really hope you can again My computer is stuck in a safe mode loop I initially went into msconfig and changed the startup to safe mode so I could troubleshoot some virus issues I don't Catch 22 - Stuck in Safe mode and Sata Drive not recognized have the admin password so I Catch 22 - Stuck in Safe mode and Sata Drive not recognized can't get past the login page to change it back I don't remember every adding a password So I used a bootdisk to get to a dos prompt That way I could find the boot ini file and manually erase the safemode line in the registry The problem is that I have sata drives and the computer doesn't recognize them on startup So I can't go to c and search for it So I'm in a catch because I can't login to regular windows and I can't search for the boot ini file on my drives to have it restart normally I even attempted to use one of those admin password reset programs but it didn't work either I already went through many of the pages on here with similar quot stuck in safe mode quot issues and on google but had no luck Any help would be appreciated Of course I have a project due but can't get to the files

A:Catch 22 - Stuck in Safe mode and Sata Drive not recognized

Hello ,

we are not allowed to help with password s but i can tell you this

shut your system down & unplud it

open your case

look at the motherboard and see if you can find the jumpers to reset the bios / if you can not find them / then just remove the litheum battery from the motherboard for 3 to 5minutes

then put all back together

& restart your system

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/catch-22-stuck-in-safe-mode-and-sata-drive-not-recognized-322381.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I have a Dell Dimension drive XP, hard WD recognized drive with Installing new SATA not MCE that I ordered with a single drive In retrospect I should have ordered it with drives and without MCE but that is another discussion I am wanting to install a new OEM WD Cavier SATA with dual boot operating systems on the same drive but partitioned XP Pro and MCE I have installed the WD drive as the second drive in position and made a partition of GB The drive is Installing new WD SATA hard drive with XP, drive not recognized seen by the system I reboot the system and go into setup disable the Maxtor SATA drive one delivered with system and in position change the Installing new WD SATA hard drive with XP, drive not recognized boot order so it boots from CD save the changes I boot the system with the Win XP Pro CD and in the FDD Installing new WD SATA hard drive with XP, drive not recognized I have WD SATA drivers The system boots I hit F and it looks as though it is reading the SATA controller drivers Needless to say the system doesn t recognize that a hard drive is present Please help If anyone has any ideas or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-new-wd-sata-hard-drive-with-xp-drive-not-recognized.18023/
Relevancy 89.01%

I just purchased a new Seagate gb hd and new SATA Problems my in drive Windows... detecting in addition to it Problems detecting my new SATA drive in Windows... a STLab Serial ATA PCI Card I already had WD gb hd s running in RAID before this purchase So i installed the SATA card in order to add my rd drive since my mobo only supports Originally i left my original drives attached to the mobo SATA connectors and put the new gb on the card however this cause the pc to try and boot from the new drive i guess the PCI slot must have higher boot priority than the mobo SATA connectors I switched my old drives over to the Problems detecting my new SATA drive in Windows... new card and hooked up the new drive to the mobo Everything booted up fine and in the boot sequence all drives were detected however when i got into Windows i could not see my new gb drive in Windows Explorer Should I not be able to see it here and have the option to format it etc through Windows Explorer If someone could enlighten me as to what is going wrong it would be greatly appreciated Thx nbsp

A:Problems detecting my new SATA drive in Windows...

You will first have to create one or more partitions on it, won't you?

Use Disk Management to do so: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management. Your new (empty) drive will show up there.

I think you could have modified the boot priority of the S-ATA card vs. the on-board S-ATA, but that will likely depend on the BIOS - both the one on the mainboard and the one on the card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-detecting-my-new-sata-drive-in-windows.40289/
Relevancy 88.58%

I want to transfer data from my hard drive in my laptop (Lenovo Y480) to a hard drive in my desktop. the cables for the sata adapter do not fit the hard drive from the laptop. Is there a different form for a 2.5 hard drive and a 3.5 hard drive?

A:sata to usb adapter cable dosen't fit sata hard drive in laptop?

Does the drive have an adapter need to remove to expose the SATA conenctors? I don;t see anything about the Y480 not having a standard SATA drive and laptop and desktop SATA connectors are the same.

Maybe post pictures of both the drive and your SATA cables.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-to-usb-adapter-cable-dosent-fit-sata-hard-drive-in-laptop.1136877/
Relevancy 88.15%

I just picked up a new sata drive and am installing XP on it, the computer picks up the drive and reports the correct size, but the windows installation says it can't find anything to install on, any ideas?

Relevancy 88.15%

I have a Dell Dimension with of drive installation SATA help a Gig western digital IDE internal drive with Windows XP SP I have installation of SATA drive help about Gig free space on my drive I purchased a western Digital SATA internal hard drive with a Creative I O SATA RAID controller card When I tried to upgrade to SP I could only boot in safe mode since I installation of SATA drive help don t know how to trouble shoot to get the XP working I installation of SATA drive help did a restore and went back to XP What I would like to do is disconnect the Gig IDE drive install and clean format windows XP to SP the SATA drive I have a installation disk from Dell for XP May questions are Will Windows have a problem with registration if I install the SATA drive DO I install the drivers for the SATA controller before removing the IDE drive After I get the SATA drive working how do I make the IDE drive a backup drive And lastly How do I install the SATA drive to begin with Any help would be greatly appreciated Kevin Czarnota nbsp

Relevancy 88.15%

A friend of mine was having some problems with their computer last week The PC would randomly shut down almost always around pm although I am guessing Recovery Can't Drive Not Recognized, to Console [resolved]SATA Enter repair that is just coincidence and then when they turned it back on it would shut down again This would happen a couple of times before they were able to boot up again Finally yesterday the PC wouldn't boot at all and it gave the C WINDOWS system config system is missing or corrupt I tried to get into [resolved]SATA Drive Not Recognized, Can't Enter Recovery Console to repair recovery console but it said it did not detect a hard drive The Hard Drive is a SATA drive SATA is enabled in BIOS They are running XP Pro A couple of weeks ago they upgraded the memory adding another stick of but I am not sure if they were having these problems before the memory upgrade or not Anyways my first question is what can I do to have the drive be recognized again I did some research and it mentioned having to install Third Party SATA drivers but since the drive was working before and we haven't done a clean install I shouldn't have to load the drivers again correct Unless they got deleted corrupt somehow Well let me know if anyone has any suggestions Thanks

A:[resolved]SATA Drive Not Recognized, Can't Enter Recovery Console to repair

Hi,

A couple of places to start:

> If you have any IDE hard drives hooked up, then disconnect them to get it going.

> Enter the BIOS setup menu and set everything back to default settings and try it.

> Make sure your drive detection in the Bios setup menu is set to AUTO

> Try clearing the CMOS ....... When and if you get it back up, try the recovery console again.

> The SATA drives are notorious for having loose cables (I have to use cable ties for some at times) and they do not fit into the drives very secure, so you need to make sure they are making good contact with the cable to the drive.

> Make sure the power cord is hooked in secure to the drive. Try another cable if this one does not do the job for you.

Post back with questions/concerns.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/resolved-sata-drive-not-recognized-cant-enter-recovery-console-to-repair-148443.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Recently i had a virus of some kind messages poping on in on windows sata Problems drive raptor installing windows and some how Problems installing windows on sata raptor drive it also disabled task manager and changed my account from admin to limited use So i decided to reformat but its an sata drive I load the the drivers from a floppy when the windows xp cd is loading so it will see the drive but when it starts the actual windows install it tells me it cant copy those files I have tried different floppies deleted partation many times and created a new one still same problem I was thinking of deleting the MBR but how can i do that on a sata drive when i need the drivers from the floppy to make the drive show up Its a western digital g raptor drive i have installed windows on this drive many times without ever having this problem before any ideas could my mbr be jacked up and how do i get to it i tried the recovery console but since this is an sata drive the recovery console does not see this drive also tried using partation magic nothing has worked so far nbsp

A:Problems installing windows on sata raptor drive

Western Digital's LifeGuard utilities for that model could do the trick at for a complete
partitioning and formatting with the DRFAT32. Once this was done, XP would then see
the drive since any virus would be have been wiped right off. There is also a zero fill in
which writes nothing but zeros to the drive. That takes all day though.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-installing-windows-on-sata-raptor-drive.422819/
Relevancy 87.72%

I decided to get myself a new SATA hdd for x mas and went for the Maxtor gb Diamond whatever I m having big problems in the installation of this device as I want to use it Big installation problems with SATA just for storage and not as a boot as my plan was to use my existing ordinary HDD as boot drive On my first IDE I have the HDD as master and no slave On the second IDE I have DVD drive master DVD R W slave I have the SATA drive plugged into the first portof the SATA connections It s an MSI board PE Neo - p Big problems with SATA installation ghz prescott s gb ram os is XP Pro The board recognises the SATA drive on boot up I get the IDE drives listed and then also the SATA listed as a primary master XP does not recognise the drive I came Big problems with SATA installation to the conclusion that the drive needs formatting and how i ve tried Does anyone know how to format one of these things I ve unplugged my IDE drive so that I could try to install xp which would format the drive as if it was a new system but when I do this my bios changes the maxtor to my primary master but then doesn t recognise the dvd drives on the socond IDE Can someone please help me and tel me their experiences Many thanks rick nbsp Big problems with SATA installation

Relevancy 87.29%

Machine configuration Installation XP MOBO/SATA of drive on Computer Type Advanced Micro Devices MHz BIOS AT AT COMPATIBLE Date Adapter NVIDIA GeForce TurboCache BIOS Manufactured American Megatrends Inc BIOS Date Installation of XP on MOBO/SATA drive BIOS Version BIOS Installation of XP on MOBO/SATA drive Size KB System Manufacturer ECS System Model MOBO K T -A System Type X -based PC VIA SATA RAID Controller Win Promise Ultra TX IDE Controller Silicon Image SiI SATARaid Controller Independent Dual Boot capabilities on two separate amp independent drives one on the MOBO EIDE controller the other on the VIA SATA RAID Controller on the same MOBO I am attempting a clean installation of Windows XP on the SATA Drive but the system fails to recognize even the presence of the drive This even after stripping the system of all drives except this one and after prepping it to be bootable with MAXTOR prep tools Was there ever a restriction on putting an O S on SATA drives even on the MOBO I have all the updates installed quot I think quot Thanks Installation of XP on MOBO SATA drive

A:Installation of XP on MOBO/SATA drive

A clean install is one done to a hard drive...that has no prior XP install on it.

<<I have all the updates installed, "I think".>>

What updates to what?

There is no need to use any utility with the XP CD...to "prep" the hard drive.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/262157/installation-of-xp-on-mobosata-drive/
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi I'm trying to install XP Pro UK version on my system and come across the following problem My system uses a Maxtor GB Serial ATA Drive I know that in order to install Windows on such a drive you have to load the additional driver software during the installation in my case VIA Serial RAID VT This works perfectly for Windows- Now I want to install XP instead of Win- So I follow the same procedure However after having chosen on which partition I and Xp SATA Drive installation Problem want to install XP I have made four partitions when I had Win- on it XP will be installed on Xp installation and SATA Drive Problem the first partition drive Xp installation and SATA Drive Problem C GB Xp installation and SATA Drive Problem XP again asks for the floppy just before it wants to check the partition XP can format it though However the disk label is different than the disk label I choosed during the first time The second time XP refers to the label 'VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette' The first time the label was 'VIA Serial ATA Windows XP' XP refuses to continue the installation because pressing ENTER as requested by XP does not lead to any action Some systems specs AMD Athlon bit GB RAM Maxtor DiamondMax Plus - Serial ATA GB partitions USB External Floppy Disk MB As said it worked with Win- So I really don't know what the problem is XP recognises the disk because it can read the partition table It can also format a partition Any help is really appreciated Thanks Balrog

A:Xp installation and SATA Drive Problem

Sorry, forgot to tell. I have used the latest VIA SATA drivers that I found on the VIAarena forum.

Balrog

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-installation-and-sata-drive-problem-12145.html
Relevancy 87.29%

first of all, im trying to build a computer and xp is not installed yet. so i put in the microsoft windows xp pro and it installs pretty good until it says it cannot detect the hard drive. what can i do? please help

A:XP sata drive installation problem

Hello and Welcome to TSF

Your system is not reconizing a SATA drive. When you first place the cd in the drive and it starts installing you will see an option at the bottom to click F6, click it and install your sata drivers.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-sata-drive-installation-problem-80416.html
Relevancy 87.29%

how to make installation floppy disk for xp windows with sata disk drive? Thanks.

A:Installation xp with sata disk drive

Could you provide some idea as to what you intend to do with the floppy disk. Are you trying to get the computer to recognize your new sata HD? I would check out this site anyway not sure exactly what process you are wanting. Hopefully this will be of assistance. http://www.wdc.com/wdsearch/search.aspx?sq=sata+disk+floppy+instalaion+files&sl=en-US&sc=
Once at this website if you will click on : wd sata hard drive Quick install guide

Good luck!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installation-xp-with-sata-disk-drive.113806/
Relevancy 87.29%

I am new to the forum and have a question. I have a computer running XP which I would like to install a SATA slave drive in. I have not installed hard drives before and wonder if there is a tutorial available on this site regarding it. I am unsure as to whether or not the slave drive must be partitioned and formatted or not. The drive in question is a new Western Digital 500 Gb SATAII drive.
Thanks in advance.
DavidRandal

Relevancy 87.29%

I wanna kno if u can install an SATA hard drive on a motherboard that previously operated an IDE?????

A:SATA and IDE Hard drive Installation

If your motherboard has sata connections there is not a pblm. If not there are adapters both for the board and the power supply

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-and-ide-hard-drive-installation.937917/
Relevancy 87.29%

Clean SATA HD, recognized in boot/bios... at clean win xp installation start, i hit f6 and install the additional SATA driver, after installation is prepared and the reboot occurs, the windows installation system starts... when the "detecting devices" bar comes up, the computer eventualy hangs up every time...

on the other hand, a win me installation worked fine..?

A:Problem with WIN XP installation/SATA drive

Usually you can power off and turn on the computer and let the setup continue. Windows will skip the device that caused the crash last time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-win-xp-installation-sata-drive.26059/
Relevancy 87.29%

The time has come for me to wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows following a recent to SATA Disk 3 Drive Hard Upgrading from SATA disastrous download that's effectively knocked out my Internet Explorer and Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive rendered Internet browsing difficult My system has since become unstable and progressively slow and unfortunately for some reason I am unable to Restore to any previous installation As I have loads of files I want to access I've decided get a new Hard Disk and run the original H drive if possible from a SATA drive Docking Station So essentially I would like to know if my Dell DXC will run and support a new Seagate Tb SATA rpm Barracuda My BIOS is Ver dated I have opened the CPU to see Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive that the current drive connectors appear similar to those Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive on the SATA Docking Station and think my old drive will fit it However it's now occurred to me that its possible the newSATA drive may not be compatible with my BIOS or Motherboard Any help or comments please Incidentally I have most of my most useful files backed up on an external drive so all hopefully is not lost

A:Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive

You need a SATA3 port to connect a SATA3 HDD to be fully compatible.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/318314-upgrading-hard-disk-sata-sata-3-drive.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I have 2 IDE HDs installed and added SATA drive lately. SATA runs in IDE mode in CMOS. Problem is, even though SATA drive is recognized by BIOS, Disk Manager, Norton Ghost & System Works, it doesn't show in My Computer, causing problems with saving and opening files. Tried a couple of tricks (changing the drive letter,disconnecting & reconnecting the drive, reformatting etc. ) nothing seems to work. I use this SATA drive for storage and for now I have to drag the files down there manually.
I don't know if it's of any importance, but I have nVidia GeForce graphics card onboard.
Has anyone encountered this kind of a problem ?
Thanks Carl

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sata-ide-hard-drives-no-sata-drive-in-my-computer-223799.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I'm wanting to upgrade to a better mainboard. I don't know much about SATA, but I've been using a SATA I hard drive very successfully through a pci controller card.

My question: If I get a new motherboard with SATA II headers, will it readily accept my SATA I hard drive? I can see how the reverse might not work, that is, not being able to connect a SATA II hard drive in a SATA I header, but maybe I'm wrong on that...?

A:Will SATA II mobo headers accept SATA I drive?

Yes, sata 3gb/s ports(commonly called sata II), are designed to be backward compatible. I'm using a sata I hd on my sata 3gb/s port on my chaintech vnf4/ultra, so yeah, it works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-sata-ii-mobo-headers-accept-sata-i-drive.44848/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hey got a bit of a problem here I bought a Seagate SATA HD GB GB SATA boot not HD recognized windows on s Perp Recording technology from newegg good price and i SATA HD not recognized on windows boot wanted to install windows SATA HD not recognized on windows boot then install bit windows Although when i boot from the CD and start the setup on the HD it is not recognizing the HD Mobo Asus A V-E Deluxe AMD FX chipset VIA K t VT R Im aware that the mobo is an older one and i think it might not SATA HD not recognized on windows boot support the HD without some sort of driver or seperate SATA pci card controller I wanted to know what i should do to get it to recognize the drive Is there some sort of driver download i could use I think if i just bought a SATA pci controller for my pc it would work fine and i wouldnt have to use a shunt in the HD to limit it to mb s data transfer I went looking for controller cards and didnt really know what to buy due to lack of experience with them If anyone would point me in the direction of a site or specific product to look at that d be great nbsp

Relevancy 86.43%

I m building a pc and this is my first attempt at installing sata drives I have two western digital raptor drives and they came with a cable that covers and connects most of the back of the sata drive similar to a ide cable and connects the drives directly to the motherboard On the back of the sata drives is a connection for a molex connector as well A friend told me not to plug in the molex connector because I could destroy drive installation sata connector power the drives because the drives recieve their power directly from the mobo using that cable that otherwise would be a data cable if it were ide So my question is Is that sata cable a data cable or a sata drive power connector installation combination power and data cable It will be sometime before I fire it up but I want to be sure of where the power is coming from before I hook it up thanks mobo Msi k t neo nbsp

Relevancy 86.43%

Hi Hope somebody here can help I recently bought a mobo and gfx card from a installation SATA drive new of onto Win7 Fresh friend therefore decided to treat myself and bought a TB Fresh installation of Win7 onto new SATA drive Hitachi SATA HDD As i had a dodgy DVD RW before i installed win from my current PATA HD as a custom Installation onto the new Drive after assigning it in Disk manager formatted and began installation All installed Fresh installation of Win7 onto new SATA drive fine booted up and asked me which windows to use selected the new OS and all good but then I removed the old PATA drive assuming there would be a Boot block on the new drive allowing boot up with the fresh windows installation and all i got was No boot disc found please bla de bla so i checked all BIOS settings to make sure all boot sequences were in the right order which they were I then resorted to put the old PATA HD back in and as soon as i hit the power button there was a spark from the PATA HD i'd just wired back up Nothing for it to short on as it was laying flat on top of my case now this wont boot either and im just getting the same message as before whatever i do I thought maybe this had blown the IDE slots on the motherboard so i put my old mobo in and all components i now get the selection for Windows Windows PATA or Older version of windows but now when i try and boot the fresh installation of Win on the SATA drive it gets to the logo startup screen and restarts I ideally want a boot block on the SATA drive so that can boot individually on the my new Mobo as the IDE slots would not be needed Any help or comments would be appreciated Thanks J

A:Fresh installation of Win7 onto new SATA drive

If you have no Data on the new Sata HD, do a clean install with one HD pluged in to Sata 1.

Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/93304-fresh-installation-win7-onto-new-sata-drive.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Machine configuration Computer Type Advanced Micro Devices MHz BIOS AT AT COMPATIBLE Date Adapter NVIDIA GeForce TurboCache TM BIOS Manufactured American Megatrends Inc BIOS Date BIOS Version BIOS Size KB System drive of XP Installation MOBO/SATA on Solved: Manufacturer ECS System Model MOBO K T -A System Type X -based PC VIA SATA RAID Controller Win Promise Ultra TX tm IDE Controller Silicon Image SiI SATARaid Controller Independent Dual Boot capabilities on two separate amp independent drives one on the MOBO EIDE controller the other on the VIA SATA RAID Controller Solved: Installation of XP on MOBO/SATA drive on the same MOBO I am attempting a clean installation of Windows XP on the SATA Drive but the system fails to recognize even the presence of the drive This even after stripping the system of all drives except this one and after prepping it to be bootable with MAXTOR prep tools Was there ever a restriction on putting an O S on SATA drives even on the MOBO I have all the updates installed quot I think quot Thanks Installation of XP on MOBO SATA drive nbsp

Relevancy 86%

Hi all.
I recently bought a new system:
Jeg har fornyligt købt ny computer hos shg:
Gigabyte GA-8KNXP, 875P, RAID, SATA /
2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7, 120GB, SATA150
2,8 Ghz intel P4 800 Mhz. Processor.

When I boot from the winXP cd I press F6 and install the SATA raid drivers. Then I format my harddrive and start installing.
After all the files has been copied to my harddrive the system reboots and the installation continues, now this is where the problem is.
Now winXP wont copy several files from the cd and thus the installation isnt complete.
I've tried with 2 different winXP cd's, different dvd/cd-rom drives.
And with only 1 Hdisk connected, but it's the same problem, winXP just wont copy the files over.
Im running out of ideas here, so if any one of you have just the slightest idea whats wrong I'd be thrilled.
Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 85.57%

I solved a similar problem in Win 7 by uninstalling an Advanced "6G" Storage Controller and letting Windows install its generic driver but I have no idea what to do in Win 10 because of the dumbed down way everything behind the scenes is displayed, which appears not to have anything remotely resembling such a thing.
Anyone else having similar issues? Or am I doomed with my now-almost-extinct 2009 Alienware machine?

A:W10 Recognizes My External SATA II Drive As SATA I - Why ?

Originally Posted by Ex_Brit

I solved a similar problem in Win 7 by uninstalling an Advanced "6G" Storage Controller and letting Windows install its generic driver but I have no idea what to do in Win 10 because of the dumbed down way everything behind the scenes is displayed, which appears not to have anything remotely resembling such a thing.
Anyone else having similar issues? Or am I doomed with my now-almost-extinct 2009 Alienware machine?

A few questions come to mind: is the drive plugged into a eSATA port on the computer and its cable rated as SATA II? Or is it in an External USB drive case that is plugged into a USB 2.0 port or maybe a USB 3.0 port?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/53036-w10-recognizes-my-external-sata-ii-drive-sata-i-why.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Perhaps not a question for sevenforums but I'd figure you guys would either have the answer or be able to direct me to the answer I purchased a Silicon SiI SATA Raid Controller purely to have extra SATA ports which I am using to connect to my case's external drive bays I have flashed the bios of the controller and updated the driver to put it in quot Base quot mode so it is not using RAID I did extensive research on this and it appears that I have this part right Controller? SATA on SATA-II Drive Raid For now I am trying to connect a WD BEVT quot SATA-II hard drive to one of these ports and am having some difficulty I can see the drive but when I try to format the drive in Windows or a command prompt using the windows recovery DVD it hangs I am wondering if this is a compatibility issue with a SATA-II drive on a SATA-I controller however most of the forums I have read state that if there is a compatibility SATA-II Drive on SATA Raid Controller? issue the controller won't even recognize the drive I searched around to see if there was a way to force the HDD SATA-II Drive on SATA Raid Controller? to SATA but the jumpers on this drive are for SSC and RPS Is there a way to fix this or do I need a drive that is capable of forcing SATA-I speeds Perhaps even a controller capable of at least SATA-II since that is the minimum of all new HDDs

A:SATA-II Drive on SATA Raid Controller?

SATA II drives are typically not backwards compatible with SATA I ports, especially on add-in cards UNLESS they have what is called "autospeed negotiation". This determines the max speed of the drive and tells it to compensate if it's too high (use SATA 1 vs 2). Unless there is a jumper on your drive, which it doesn't sound like there is, then the add-in card does not have autospeed negotiation. This is taken from Problems encountered installing SATA 3.0 Gb/s hard drives on SATA 1.5 Gb/s controllers.

I suggest finding an addin card that supports SATA II like this card: Newegg.com - Rosewill RC-211 Silicon Image 2 port SATA II PCI Express Host Controller Card&#40;RAID 0&#47;1&#47;JBOD&#41;

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/161851-sata-ii-drive-sata-raid-controller.html
Relevancy 85.57%

New build...installed XP Pro and used F6 to install proper drivers from Mobo CD...How can I tell if it's running at SATA 2 speed...3 Gig xfer rate...all device manager says is
UDMA5...

A:How can I tell if my SATA drive is running at SATA 2 speed?

http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html?modelx=33&model1=117&model2=676&chart=31

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-tell-if-my-sata-drive-is-running-at-sata-2-speed.578001/
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi I just bought a new rig need help to set up my SATA HDD At WinXP Setup there is a F message to install the drivers At this point in time I will have just insert the floppy which comes with the SATA HHD When I pressed F nothing happened Setup continues with Press F for Automated System installation SATA WinXP resulting setup problems in help, Recovery and then continued loading the rest of the system cd-files However after loading the files it did not go in to the drivers installation screen as should be normal It went into the Press Enter to Install XP press R to Repair and press F to leave the screen At this point in time whatever I pressed nothing will happen aka looks like hang What happened Is my WinXP cd to be blamed At times when files are loading there is a message-- gt Section Files SCSI iaStor of the INF file is invalid and I cannot go further Any help nbsp

A:SATA installation help, resulting in WinXP setup problems

I have a simliar problem but it does not hang, it says that Windows XP does not recognize a HD and setup cannot continue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-installation-help-resulting-in-winxp-setup-problems.18408/
Relevancy 84.28%

Can I install an 128 GB SSD in addition to already installed 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive in my Dell E5570? If it's possible, which SSD should I pick? M.2 SSD? or PCIe SSD? Would it be possible to install my C-drive (windows) on the SSD? Would it make the computer any faster? Please help me out.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19974293
Relevancy 82.99%

My Box config

AMD athlon 64bit 2800+

ASUS K8-VX Mother board

want to upgrade to 500 gigs or if possible to 1tb Sata HDD

Problem is
1) Mother board is old done almost 3 years
2) I don't know what version of SATA will be supported
Please advise

Thanks in advance for your answers

Regards

A:Need to upgrade to SATA Not sure if it is sata or sata II which my mobo supports

http://www.asus.com/search.aspx?searchitem=1&searchkey=k8v-x

I don't know why, but everytime I go to asus, they're hving site maintenance
Anyway see if you can click on Specifications there

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-to-upgrade-to-sata-not-sure-if-it-is-sata-or-sata-ii-which-my-mobo-supports.114075/
Relevancy 82.56%

Can I hook up a sata II drive to a sata I port or will this not work?

A:Sata II drive to sata I port?

Yes this will work but you will just get SATA I speeds and not SATA II speed. But thats not big problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-ii-drive-to-sata-i-port.122031/
Relevancy 82.56%

Ok so here s the layout I have windows xp pro installed with non-sata hard drives primary being windows etc and secondary being just storage games music I now have a gb SATA hd So i mount it hook up the sata cable to motherboard hook up sata power cable and boot it up I go to my computer and see nothing So i go to find new hardware and find nothing either I installed scsi component and it showed the things i just installed the scsi component and of course it shows detects the new sata drive So i m thinking it s now under my computer i look there and Help! interlinking! SATA drive non-SATA & it SATA & non-SATA drive interlinking! Help! s not there Now what i m doing is only having this for mass storage SATA & non-SATA drive interlinking! Help! i would even replace the second drive non sata i had for this my BIOS under integrated periph has OnChip SATA enabled and OnChip SATA mode is quot IDE quot the other option is RAID but i only have sata hdd So right now i m thinking that I can t use sata and non-sata hdd s together but i could ve sworn you could I bet i m just doing this wrong oh and one more weird thing i ran everest and went under storage devices it shows drive as EPSON usb storage gb and epson is my printer driver So i uninstalled the printer driver now it just says drive gb TO SUM IT UP I want to run my single sata hdd with my other or both hdd s that are non-sata Is this possible and if so what am I doing wrong it s gigabyte sigma series motherboard sata slots available onboard nbsp

A:SATA & non-SATA drive interlinking! Help!

You have to partition hard drives before they show up in My Computer.

See Disk Management.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-non-sata-drive-interlinking-help.49017/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi, hopefully should be straight forward enough...

I have just bought one of these space saving Acer Revos which does not come with an Optical drive.

I have a Blu-ray reader (dvd writer) which is SATA, but the Revo only has USB or eSATA.
So... i was wondering what is needed to get this (SATA) drive to work via eSATA or usb?

Is it as simple as a SATA to eSATA cable or will this not give the necessary power to the drive?

Or do i need an eSATA enclosure, and if so what size for an optical drive 5.2?

Cheers for any help.

A:New PC with no optical drive or SATA connection (can i use a SATA drive in it?)

Ya no problem use it. For more details contact us at www.sacatech.com

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-pc-with-no-optical-drive-or-sata-connection-can-i-use-a-sata-drive-in-it.977131/
Relevancy 81.7%

Hello all.

I am currently attempting to install Windows XP SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop; however, as the title states, Windows XP is having issues in finding my SATA HDD.

To my understanding, this is due to Windows XP not quite being "ready" for SATA HDDs, and so the proper controller(s)(?) wasn't implemented in the Windows XP disc.

I looked on Dell's website for such a driver, but was not able to find anything (though my search methods may have been lacking - I am not the most superb at file searching on the internet).

Is there any possible way to make it so that Windows XP SP2 can be installed on a machine that has a SATA HDD?

*NOTE: This is a clean install.
Thank you to all that offer suggestions or solutions.

A:Windows XP Cannot Find SATA HDD During Installation

Sometimes it's a matter of a BIOS setting, so take a look there. You can always restore to defaults, so trying settings will not be fatal.

Can you link to where you looked at Dell? If available, it is usually an image for a floppy. Do you have a floppy drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-cannot-find-sata-hdd-during-installation.699365/
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi everybody I ve a question or a request you might say about SATA drivers reguarding a Windows XP Pro -bit installation I just purchased a laptop that uses a SATA harddisc It has preinstalled Windows Vista Home Edition but I m not so fond of installation for Windows SATA XP Driver Vista so I want to install my Windows XP Pro -bit Unfortunately it can t recognize my SATA harddisc so it can t install it I ve been told that the solution is to have a SATA driver on either a USB flashdrive or integrate it with the normal Windows XP installation cd using the nLite software I found a driver for SATA at Intel com but regrettably it was only for a -bit version SATA Driver for Windows XP installation so it doesn t work when I integrate it using nLite software I ve scouted the Internet and especially Intel com but can t seem to find the right driver that suites my Windows version I ve a Intel Core duo MHZ running with an Intel Chipset ICH M on a Santa Rosa platform I really hope that someone has a solution to my problem whether it is using the nLite software or make a bootable USB flashdrive with the correct SATA driver located Thanks in advance Best regards Emil nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-driver-for-windows-xp-installation.692549/
Relevancy 81.27%

I recently purchased an OEM SATA harddrive for my new computer (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822135106 ). Even though it was OEM, I expected it to at least come with a driver disc, but it didnt. The problem is, neither linux or windows will recognize the drive, and I can't find the appropriate drivers to use. It is however recognized during startup. I have checked the WD site, and tried both things they suggested, but neither have worked. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 81.27%

Hi I am not sure where to post this but here is the scenario I have P GHZ that I used for a long time without any problems Pioneer dual layer DVD drive and anothe liteon CD burner Now I have purchased new SATA Seagate HDD all my other drives are IDE not SATA I have connected with DVD drive problems rom ?? SATA the new HDD installed win XP DVD rom problems with SATA drive ?? with service pack no problems so far I used the DVD rom to do all the installing ok WIn XP has booted up for the first time I put a CD into it bang quot G i o device error quot I can t read it I ve put audio CD into it works tried few other cd dvds again error Ok to check the DVD rom I boot from my old HDD drive while SATA HDD is still connected same problem DVD is not performing well Ok I disconnect SATA drive boot up again everything is back to normal DVD rom reads all those cds and dvds I tried again booting from SATA drive I deleted all IDe controlers and DVD so that it can initialize again the drive which it does and all looks fine but again its slow and doesn t read some cds or if I try mounting an image from a CD it crashes Does anyone have an idea what s going on How can SATA drive cause DVD to go crazy and any ideas what I can try to fix this issue thanks so much nbsp

A:DVD rom problems with SATA drive ??

did you have an ide hard drive that you removed, when you put in the sata drive ?
if so did you reconfigure your drives ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-rom-problems-with-sata-drive.486451/
Relevancy 81.27%

I have been running the following system for a few months now with no probs Celeron Asrock P VT mobo via PT chipset and VIA sata raid controller Mb elixir DDR DVD - RW ATI graphics card Belkin wireless NWork adapter Floppy drive Maxtor diamond plus SATA Problems Drive Gb SATA hard drive with win xp pro sp AVG and router amp windows firewall on The system was SATA Drive Problems shut down normally after some browsing no updates or downloads - I think Upon restart - windows start options screen appeared Tried all the options one after the other none worked Now pc only boots to the win xp pro splash screen then restarts again and again Tried repair install after loading SATA drivers F Takes - minutes to inspect the hard drive and then reports the whole hard drive is unpartitioned do I want to install win xp on it quitted with F Tried recovery console but hangs and does not show quot C windows quot It looks as though the drive has been completely wiped In order to see if I can recover some data from this drive I then put this drive in another machine running XP pro on an IDE drive SATA available on mobo Even though the BIOS boot priority is IDE CDROM Floppy it always tries to boot from the problem SATA drive even with sata DISABLED IN THE bios I put in a new IDE hard drive on the original system with problem SATA drive attached Loaded XP no F etc this time no probs all fine SATA drive not seen in XP Upon Re start and despite correct BIOS boot order can not stop attempts to boot from SATA drive Why can I not boot from IDE drive and then see the SATA drive in XP What could have caused this prob Are there any SATA drive diagnostic tools maxtor ones don t work with embedded SATA controllers Any help much appreciated nbsp

A:SATA Drive Problems

I think I would scan for viruses, trojans, etc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-drive-problems.27814/
Relevancy 81.27%

System Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Socket AM2
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe, nForce 590 SLI, Socket-AM2
A-DATA DDR2 PC6400 4096MB CL5 Kit w/two matched DDR2 800 2048MB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2
Western Digital Caviar SE16 160GB SATA2
NEC DVD±RW burner AD-7173 IDE Black OEM
OCZ GameXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS, (700W)
Club3D GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3,
Running on: Windows XP Pro x64.

The problem I am having is the 500GB HDD is not showing up in windows explorer, it shows up in the bios and it even shows up in the Device manager. The device manager thinks there is nothing wrong with it.

Thanks

Relevancy 81.27%

i have a siig sata pci card sc-sat -s and my problem is that i was trying to install windows xp on a brand new western digital caviar se rpm gb hard drive and also Sata Problems Drive a brand new samsung sh-s sata dvd lightscribe burner but every time i tried to install windows xp the cd wouldnt load and finally i tried everything but it would not work then when i only had the sata hard drive hooked up to the pci card it finally read the cd the only problem was that the dvd drive was not hooked up only my old cdr which is EDIE was hooked up and i finally got windows xp on my new hard drive but when i hook up the dvd drive on Sata Drive Problems to the other sata slot in the pci card it does not boot the screen shows me that the hard Sata Drive Problems drive and the dvd drive are hooked up but it will not boot when i disconnect the dvd drive it boots but then i cant use the dvd drive i can only use my hard drive and my old EDIE cdr when windows xp has already loaded i can connect th dvd drive to the other sata slot and it will work but i dont want to keep disconnecting and reconnecting the drive if i wanted to do that i would have bought an external drive so why wont my computer boot up Sata Drive Problems how can i fix this do i have to buy another sata pci card nbsp

Relevancy 81.27%

Hello All I am having some weird problems with my new seagate Gig SATA drive First off I installed the drive BIOS saw it worked great for a few days then I had to unplug my computer Drive SATA problems to SATA Drive problems move it and all of a sudden I get on POST SATA Drive cannot be found F to continute F for setup something along those lines I went into setup and SATA was showing as unknown device I tried to SATA Drive problems set both SATA drives to AUTO no good The motherboard of my computer has slots for SATA connections I tried both of them booted up no good So I finally gave up was going to send drive back to seagate when all of a sudden I started up my computer maybe days later and I could access the drive again It worked for months after that until I had to unplug my PC again now i am going through the same exact issue Has anyone had this problem before or have any advice I dont think the drive is bad or the cable but it is a possibility nbsp

Relevancy 81.27%

Hi

I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 and installed onto a Sata 250g drive which runs with no problems. However i also have 2 x IDE drives i use as storage and as soon as i connect them and reboot the system just hangs for hours.

I have tried removing the sata drive and installing on the smaller (80gb) IDE drive and all goes well until i connect any other drive.

This driving me nuts as i need to access the larger IDE drive as it stores all my music and photo's etc.

I can run 7 on either drive but not when both types are connected.

Help please

A:Sata problems with IDE drive

Quote: Originally Posted by moults

Hi

I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 and installed onto a Sata 250g drive which runs with no problems. However i also have 2 x IDE drives i use as storage and as soon as i connect them and reboot the system just hangs for hours.

I have tried removing the sata drive and installing on the smaller (80gb) IDE drive and all goes well until i connect any other drive.

This driving me nuts as i need to access the larger IDE drive as it stores all my music and photo's etc.

I can run 7 on either drive but not when both types are connected.

Help please

make sure that the ide drives are set to master and slave and connect to their ribbon cable in the correct order. even though you have a sata drive on a lot of mobos if your ide drives are not jumpered correctly the system will just hang during hardware detection.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/63433-sata-problems-ide-drive.html
Relevancy 81.27%

G day Drive SATA problems ladies and gentlemen I got a new PC for free awhile ago and have a problem with Serial ATA specs are as follows -P ghz - Gb of RAM - Nvidia GF GS -SB Live SC x GB Maxtor IDE x GB Maxtor SATA - Win XP SP The problem is that the SATA HD works at free will of the times when I boot up my computer the SATA HD doesn t work I have to turn the PC off SATA Drive problems and back on in order for it to work power isn t a problem I SATA Drive problems believe W PSU and once it works it works like a charm It s currently on SATA bus I only have SATA ports tried both I had my OS on the SATA drive however to reduce headache I placed my OS on the IDE drive for the time being I have no idea what could possibly be faulty the IDE has always worked like a charm and I don t know what to blame the mobo or the HDD Sad part is i don t have another SATA HDD to try it out i have reset my bios settings already problem wasn t solved Any ideas nbsp

A:SATA Drive problems

Try disabling quick boot or configuring the hard drive delay option in BIOS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-drive-problems.64059/
Relevancy 81.27%

Ok I just built a new rig DVD drive SATA problems Specs are as follows CPU Intel Core Duo Ghz C HSF Zalman CNPS- LED RAM GB G Skill SATA DVD drive problems PC - DDR - MOBO EVGA i -CK-NF C VGA BFG GT OC HDD Samsung GB amp GB SATA AUD Onboard Azalia HD PSU Antec PowerTrio W CASE Antec MON Samsung quot x ms OS Windows Vista Business SP Currently I am unable to get my new Samsung SATA DVD drive problems DVD drive SH-S N from SATA DVD drive problems Newegg to work with this system When I attach it to the motherboard Windows loads and after that it goes into a BSOD Here is the Windows problem report Product Windows Problem Shut down unexpectedly Date PM Status Not Reported Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Files that help describe the problem some files may no longer be available Mini - dmp sysdata xml Version txt Extra information about the problem BCCode a BCP FFFFFFE BCP BCP BCP C C OS Version Service Pack Product Also attached is the dump file for this error I have the most current BIOS and video card drivers I downloaded Windows debugging tools and still am unable to read the dump file It says that the symbols are wrong Even though I downloaded them as well I have tried calling EVGA and they were extremely unhelpful I am at my ends here about ready to throw the drive out the window on to the driveway and use the ugly old IDE drive that does not match my case Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

A:SATA DVD drive problems

RMA/ replace the drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-dvd-drive-problems.106778/
Relevancy 80.84%

My new laptop has currently 8.1 installed to a 500gig 840 EVO SSD, I replaced the 1tb hard drive it came with and did a clean install.

I'd like to utilize the M.2 sata port with a Crucial M550 500gig drive for windows, and re-install the 1tb hard drive for storage.

I have an external USB 2.5" SATA enclosure I can create an image of my current SSD/8.1 to, then I assume using Acronis or some such, restore the image to the M.2 SSD once it's installed.

I suspect Windows is going to object to having been moved from a regular SATA SSD to the M.2 SSD.
I'm not sure how Windows see's a M.2 (non-pcie, it's regular SATA M.2) VS a "regular" SATA port.
It's an HP Envy i7 laptop fwiw so it should be all Intel hardware.

Any thoughts/experience? Am I over-thinking it?

A:Move Windows from SATA SSD to M.2 SATA SSD on laptop

That should work fine, as long as bios recognizes the M2 drive. Have done similar with many msata's, all went well. Restore the image, remove the original drive, and see if it boots, no harm can be done by this.

Am recommending having a windows installation usb stick available, can be used to fix windows boot settings if needed. And keep the original image safe for some time until one is 111% sure all is well. Good luck.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/59163-move-windows-sata-ssd-m-2-sata-ssd-laptop.html
Relevancy 80.84%

I have a Windows 8.1x64 system that was installed under AHCI mode and now want to change the BIOS SATA mode to RAID, but when I do this it won't boot (BSOD), it only boots if I set SATA mode to AHCI. I googled and tried the following tip but it still won't boot (BSOD):
Change to RAID mode from AHCI mode and vice versa:

If currently installed, uninstall your RAID or AHCI SATA driver (for intel, intel rapid storage technology)Basically open msconfig -> boot tab -> check safe boot -> restartGo into UEFI/BIOS and set SATA mode to which ever one you wantBoot up into windows safe modeOpen msconfig again -> under the main menu tab (general) click the normal startup circle - > restartYour system should boot into windows fine and you can install your AHCI or RAID driver.
Any suggestion as to how to do this? Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/75366-how-change-sata-mode-after-windows-installation.html
Relevancy 80.84%

HDD: Seagate Momentus 320GB

When I try to install windows it doesn't show and i try to load the correct drivers (i checked) and they still don't show. I've tried using diskpart to see if i can format and clean it but it won't show up in there either.
The HDD does come up in BIOS. Also, something weird that happens... when i press ESC while startup to select boot option is shows up every other boot so if I see it then next boot it doesn't show idk.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/378538-sata-hdd-not-diskpart-windows-installation-but-bios.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi I currently have a IDE dvd drive and now want to install a Sata DVD drive I had a card adapter for sd xd cards etc but I did not have another Sata cable so I have disconnected the card reader and used the cable for the DVD drive Now Connecting sata problems DVD drive new - a when I start up the computer it is continually coming up with quot disk boot error please insert system disk and press enter quot I have searched google Connecting a new sata DVD drive - problems and this forum but don t understand a few things Firstly I Connecting a new sata DVD drive - problems am using IDE cables for one of the DVD drives and a Sata cable for the other I was reading that is might be changing it Connecting a new sata DVD drive - problems to a master Not exactly sure what this means but in Bios is says Master Old dvd drive Master New DVD drive What am I doing wrong for this to be coming up I know the new one should be coming up as Slave but its not I have disconnected the new dvd drive and connected the old one as it was and it is still coming up with the same error Have I dont something wrong Thanks in advance I apologise if I haven t included all the information you need Just reply back with what I have forgotten nbsp

A:Connecting a new sata DVD drive - problems

Hi and welcome. Did you disconnect the hard drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-a-new-sata-dvd-drive-problems.728311/
Relevancy 80.41%

I recently installed a Seagate 2TB Barracuda Sata drive on my PC to use is as a slave drive, but the computer is not showing the drive when I click on My Computer, but
when I check the device manager, it is there. What's going on?

A:Sata Drive as a Slave Problems

Welcome to SF!!

Start > type 'diskmgmt.msc' and run it > it is listed there? (possibly saying unalloacated?)

If so, check this out:
How to Create a New Partition or Volume in Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/132998-sata-drive-slave-problems.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I have been trying to install XP Home SP onto a brand new SATA drive but am having problems I realise that this is a recognised issue and have read a lot of information about how to go about doing this successfully Problem is that even after installing drivers it still won t work Here is what I have done so Problems Drive Installing SATA on XP far I popped the manufacturers disk into my other pc and have taken a look at its contents I have browsed through the contents of the CD supplied with the motherboard and decided Problems Installing XP on SATA Drive to view the contents of a folder named RAID Inside this folder there is another folder named VIA Inside this folder there are several more folders and I decided to look Problems Installing XP on SATA Drive in the Problems Installing XP on SATA Drive folder named DriverDisk Inside driver disk folder there are two folders and a file named PIDE RAID and TXTSETUP OEM which is exactly what the tutorial says I should be looking for I copied these folders and file to a freshly formatted floppy Going back to the non-working PC I wait for the prompt to select F After pressing F the windows software continues to load and after a short time arrives at a screen asking me to insert the floppy containing the third party drivers into A drive I insert the floppy and hit enter The floppy drive powers up and I am asked to select from about different versions of Windows I select XP The drivers apparently load The instalation of Windows continues up to the point where it asks me to select whether I want to install Windows XP repair Windows XP or quit I select install Windows XP and am then greeted by the same message as previously saying that no hard drive has been detected I ve gone over this countless times just in case I might have missed something obvious but can t see that I have Incidentally I have entered bios and enabled SATA ports and also swapped the cables both power and data to the drive just in case one is faulty However all cables are brand new so unlikely I have read that it is possible to overcome this issue entirely by disabling the SATA controller in bios so that Windows sees the hard drive as a standard IDE variety Problem is I can t be sure of how to do this in bios or even if the bios supports this and certainly anything I ve tried so far doesn t seem to have made any difference Please could you take a look and tell me if it is possible for me to disable the SATA controller on this bios and set it to IDE only If not can you suggest what should be my next move apart from scrap the whole lot of course Any advice gratefully received Here is the spec of the new hard drive and of the motherboard etc Seagate ST AS GB Hard Drive SATAII rpm MB Cache PC Chips FSB K Motherboard Model No M Via K T Chipset Family with fitted AMD Athlon XP M CPU including x Kingston mb DDR RAM Manual http eudownload ecs com tw dlfilepcc manual m A pdf nbsp

Relevancy 80.41%

Hi I am having a problem again with a SATA drive It is on a friends machine and has been running as a data drive for a few months with no problems Recently I tryed to install it as the master drive and loaded the operating system onto it it initially appeared very slow and after a few hours it began to react strangely in that it would sometimes fail to boot and also icons in my computer were slow to appear etc Now admitadly I did hook the old hard drive OS still in tact back up as secondary and I disabled it in the bios - with Speed drive SATA problems so when the computer boots it should not read from its boot sector but in XP the drive is still recognised despite it being disabled in the bios this used to work fine on a setup I used to have running xp and So maybe that is causing problems I dont know To test the drive further I have installed it on Speed problems with SATA drive my computer and loaded a clean instal of XP using windows XPs dual boot facility So far it hasnt given me any major problems however it is still very slow to boot at about minute seconds from power on to the user logon screen - and this is with only the minimum drivers loaded and a firewall Now that seems pretty slow to me considering my SATA drive does it in about seconds The only other problem I can see is that on the SATA drive I have to have the quot limit to MB s quot jumper Speed problems with SATA drive connected - otherwise I cant get it to run at all although I have read the motherboard manual and Hi-speed sata is supported So I am wondering if anyone knows firstly is mb s a particularly slow speed for a sata drive and would that slow the OS load time Or is it possible there is a problem with the drive itself And also if anyone has any info on the mb s limiter I would be greatfull to hear that as well Thanks in advance for any help and sorry this post is SO long nbsp

A:Speed problems with SATA drive

I am having a similar problem with my WD Raptor. It runs at 10,000 rpm and it seems to be running slow. On the same system i previously had a WD 250GB and to be honest i cant notice much of a differencre at all between the two drives!!!

I limited the WD 250G to 150mbps to see whether there might have been a conflict between the Raptor at 150mbps and the 250GB at 300mbps. But still not much of a difference!!!

Recently i went into the BIOS and enabled 32bit Data Transfer and yeah I do see an improvement, but slight it is!!!

Maybe try enabling 32bit Data transfer for the SATA drive in the BIOS and see what happens???

How about running some Benchmarking software for the Hard Drive or Diagnostic software?

But yeah people i have a similar problem with my Raptor and another SATA Drive running slow.

PS
SATA 150 or SATA 300 there isnt much difference at all. I did a similar question in another post and thats the advice i got. So i wouldnt sweat jumpering it to 150mbps. Also check out the motherboard manual and site and see whether your motherboard supports SATA 300 drives. Why not update the BIOS???

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/speed-problems-with-sata-drive.48385/
Relevancy 80.41%

I'm running XP Pro and added a IBM Deskstar SATA 500GB hard drive. The drive is a bare drive that i put into an enclosure and use a SATA>USB connector. The drive ran fine with no problems. I then moved the drive to a Mac (OSX) to move files around (MP3's/Flac) and when plugging it back into the PC it won't recognize it in "My Computer". It shows up in device manager as mass storage but won't let me do anything with it. If i click on 'populate' it shows as unrecognized drive. If i move it back over to the Mac it seems to run fine. Now i'm just looking to get it working on the PC and not deal with it on the Mac. Is there any special way i can format it on the Mac to make the PC hopefully read it better?

A:500GB SATA Drive Problems

You might have to re-format it for NTFS as the MAC uses a different file system, something might have been put on and change the structure of the HDD to work with the MAC OS. You should move files over the network from WIN OS to MAC OS instead and it's safer to do it that way..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/500gb-sata-drive-problems.77717/
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi there I have a major problem and would appreciate some help Firstly my computer spec Gigabyte GPA-UD H AMD Phenom X gig corsair ram ATI Original windows bit bought through student offer I orignally built my system using X Sata cant HD see Major problems, drive Seagate Barracuda gig Major Sata drive problems, cant see HD hard drives Before I installed windows i set the motherboard as Major Sata drive problems, cant see HD per the book to raid using both drives as a single drive I had a few issues with the install to those drives but in the end i did get it to work I cant remember how though As far as i know it did see the drives Then my motherboard gave up the ghost i didnt want to lose the data on my raid so i got another motherboard the same model I thought to be safe i would get an old drive and install windows to that first I set the motherboard settings the same as before and it installed i do recall i had to load drivers from the boot disc The hard drive is an old Maxtor diamond max sata gig Next i plugged in the gig drives in raid luckily the computer saw them an i was able to extract my photos to a nas that i have Now one of the gig drives has a broken socket on the back and i thought this would be a good opportunity to get rid of it I decided to keep the other drive I formatted it through right clicking on the drive in my computer The plan was to get rid of the old gig drive as it does make a little noise now and then and use the remaining gig drive as the boot drive later building up a seperate raid mirror in addition to the boot drive So i remove the old drive and plug in the single gig drive The install wont see it i have tried diffferent ports and cables I have tried loading all the drivers off the motherboard disc i even plugged both gig hard drives back in and it briefly saw them but then lost it again I have tried removing the cmos battery when i went to the gym I have also tried boot order and different sata settings in bios Now if i take the gig drive out and plug in the boot drive it fires straight up i can plug the gig in and the computer sees it and is able to use it During start up the before installation the computer registers each drive and shows them as being there What ever i do the windows install does not see the drives let alone let me install to them Any help is greatly appreciated

A:Major Sata drive problems, cant see HD

In the BIOS ... advanced > peripheral config > secondary sata controller > enabled?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/148101-major-sata-drive-problems-cant-see-hd.html