Windows Support Forum

Windows XP won't save user settings- Help?

Q: Windows XP won't save user settings- Help?

Recently, my laptop had gotten the blue screen error. Ever since everything was reinstalled, Windows wouldn't allow me to save any settings(Background, size of caption buttons, etc.). Athough, it does let me change the theme. I was thinking about using a registry edit from Kelly's Korner and it wouldn't let me import the .reg file. It said there was an error accessing the registry. Is there something wrong with the code? Any suggestions would be great.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SystemTray"="SysTray.Exe"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows XP won't save user settings- Help?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows XP won't save user settings- Help?

There's no error with the .reg file, there's an error with your registry. What have you recently done with your computer that could have caused this problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-wont-save-user-settings-help.855805/
Relevancy 79.55%

hello there,

I just joined a couple of minutes ago...
the problem that i have is that Windows XP keeps reseting my user settings (desktop background, style, start menu, ect...) back to default everytime i restart my pc! I have no idea of whats going on or why it keeps reseating. any reply's will be greatly appreciated. thanks everyone !!!!!

Relevancy 70.95%

ok,I'm going to be brave and re-install SP2more info here ----> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/118812/regarding-on-reinstalling-sevice-pack-2/but,I found out that once i do that,some setting may changeso how do I save my setting(besides writing it all down and painfully manual set it back up)and after i reinstall SP2 I applied the settings again?Hope you guys understand though all my stupidity

A:How To Save User Settings?

You can use Windows' Files and Settings Transfer Wizard:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/119413/how-to-save-user-settings/
Relevancy 70.09%

- I can t to any not to seems My user changes my computer settings. save HELP see My wallpaper - I can t access my themes even though they are there - I can t HELP My computer seems not to save any changes to my user settings. unlock the taskbar or show the quicklauch buttons - My Keybord language is set to english US and whenever I change it to English international It changes but doesn't save the change - I can t see system or hidden files I go to the folder options click to see them but again the changes are n ot saved - My internet explorer asks me about thos annoying search configurations everytime I start IE up AND of course It won t save my initial quot home quot page I'd say I am infected by a virus But My Norton Dosn t seem to detect anything I've run it or times ever since yesterday I seem to Override those restrictions everytime I create a new user But once I start up the computer again The lockups are there I hope there is SOMEONE out there who can help me

A:HELP My computer seems not to save any changes to my user settings.

Hi Carlosg81 and welcome to TSF

It has come to my attention that you show the symptoms of a malware issue. I and this forum are not specifically trained in the removal of malware so I will now teach you the steps to transfer your case to the Hijackthis Log Help Forum. Follow the steps in this link: (Updated!) IMPORTANT - Read This Before Posting A Log and post your results in the Hijackthis Log Help Forum. Follow the steps to the best of your ability and if you have an issue with one of the steps then include information on it with your new topic. Please give time as our analysts are very busy working with cases and other forum things.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-my-computer-seems-not-to-save-any-changes-to-my-user-settings-202386.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I have two logins, User1 (Always used) and Administrator (Never used).
How do I move all my settings/programs etc. from the User1 login to the Administrator profile so that I can delete the User1 login and always be the 'Administrator'?
I have XP Pro SP3, IE7 and MS Office 2000.

A:Remove User Login but save settings.

Give User1 Administrative rights, delete the Administrator account, and change User1 to "Administrator".

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/remove-user-login-but-save-settings-324370.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi,

At my university, the lab computes are set up to revert to a "default" every time they are shut down (usually 2-3 times a week). This means that every time I use any computer in the lab,  all the settings and changes I've made revert to the lame ones that some university IT guy thought were a good idea.  Essentaly everything saved on the local C: drive gets erased. Network drives act normally.

-Is there some way for me to save my changes and load my settings when I log on to another computer? I'm talking stuff from taskbar and start menu properties to desktop layout, to graphic settings.
-Is there a way I can save the settings I make within programs like Photoshop or internet browsers?
-What about keeping installed programs? For example, the "default" installed java isn't the current version, so it has to be updated after every restart.

Thanks for any tips.

A:Save user settings between mutiple computers?

Hi zantaff By BleepingComputer Rules, we aren't allowed to help you bypass security measures that are put in place by an organization on a system that you don't own. You are allowed by your school to use the computer, which means that you have to abide by their rules and term of use, and you cannot take any actions in order to change the settings put in place by their IT Department.I'm sorry but you won't get assistance for that here. I suggest you to read the BleepingComputer Rules and Policies below to know what you can and cannot ask on this forum.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/Have a good day

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573548/save-user-settings-between-mutiple-computers/
Relevancy 68.37%

I just have a quick question. I'm using Windows XP Professional SP3 and I have an admin user profile and also a secondary user profile. A friend of mine a told me to just use the secondary profile all the time accept if you need to install something, that way it's more secure. Not sure how secure it is or if I should keep using my computer this way, but I'd kind of like to just simplify things a bit and delete the secondary profile and just only use the admin profile. Is it possible to save any settings I had on that profile and then just delete that user account?

A:Solved: Possible to delete user account and save settings?

It certainly is more secure to run in a standard user account, you can see this page in the Techguy Library of knowledge for an explanation as to why. I am in a standard account as I write this for that very reason.

However you say you don't like the situation. The answer I'd be considering would be to elevate the standard user, turning it into an admin. That will be quick and migrate everything. Admitidly it could be a little weird if say the standard account were named "standard" but that's quite a minor thing. If you then want to remove the old admin account, don't do it until the new one is safely elevated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-possible-to-delete-user-account-and-save-settings.935930/
Relevancy 58.48%

I am trying to change to settings.

The first is I am trying to change my home page from Yahoo to Google. IE will not let me.

I am also trying to use Tweak UI to auto logon. It also will not work. Any ideas?

Thanks

A:Windows Won't Save Settings.

I suspect that you've installed a program that has locked your home page to prevent hijacking.

I'm not familiar with Tweak UI - but try this instead.

Go to Start...Run...and type in "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Then left click once on the account that you want to auto-logon. Then remove the check mark from the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to access this computer"

Click on OK, then it may ask for the password (if it does, enter it), then you'll be set!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/59510/windows-wont-save-settings/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi folks I ve been having this problem for a while and am not really sure where to begin looking for a solution so hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction Windows isn t saving any settings What I mean in the form of examples -Opening the start menu the space which normally contains recently used programs is always blank settings XP Windows any save won't -Windows explorer clicking quot show hidden files folders quot and quot apply quot does nothing Files stay hidden returning to the menu reveals that files and folders still will not be shown -Some programs that used to function normally now will not run at all This all started a while ago when I had been getting the notification that free disk space was running low on drive C I just ignored it until one Windows XP won't save any settings day Windows crashed on startup and would not start until I ran safe mode I freed up some room and it booted normally after that but with my background image gone and the effects described above Your help is very much appreciated Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 58.48%

Whenever I tick on "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:" and hit apply and okay then restart, when it turns back on its reset to "turn on dep for essential windows programs and services only" instead of what I applied.

A:Windows DEP won't save my settings?

What antivirus app are you using?

I know that it says to restart to apply the change, but what happens if you apply the change, close the System Properties applet and then reopen the System Properties applet without restarting the computer. Is it still set as desired?

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/382294-windows-dep-wont-save-my-settings.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I leave my PC running 24/7, with only the occasional and require reboots.

For some time now, I have found that windows does not come to life when I have left it unattended for several hours, and I have to restart it. This is annoying as I have some software running continually which needs access to the outside world if you like. Actually it gets data from a external weather station, and if it can't then I have to wait while it gets updated as soon as I restart windows.

My settings are 'Never turn off the Display', as I do that, and 'Never put the computer to sleep' because I don't want it that way.

I save the settings, and a couple of hours later, or after a reboot, I recheck, and they have been changed back to Turn off Display 1 hour, and Put Computer to sleep after 1 Hour, regardless of me saving the changes I made.

A:Windows will not save my power settings

I assume you are using windows 7, go under; Control panel->Power options->change plan settings->change advanced power settings. set the computer to never sleep.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/569181/windows-will-not-save-my-power-settings/
Relevancy 58.05%

Whenever I boot my computer, Windows Firewall is off. When I turn on the firewall all appears OK until I reboot the computer. Then it's off again.

I have Norton 360 installed. Can this be causing my problem?

I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic SP1 on an Acer laptop.

Dale...

A:Windows Firewall Settings Won't Save

Hi Dale.
Norton 360 will turn off the windows firewall if the norton firewall is set as your default firewall.
Running 2 software firewalls at the same time can cause many problems, so it is best to just use one.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-firewall-settings-wont-save-293498.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I have been trying to use mousekeys for a game bu when i go to the "set up Mouse Keys" area and enable "Turn on mousekeys" and hit apply it doesnt turn them on. If i hit okay then reload it it will have the box unchecked again, if i set it up through "set up mousekeys" and enable and hit okay it will be unchecked again when it goes back to the main area. My mousekeys use to work a year ago but when i tried them today they are not working.

A:Windows 7 mousekeys do not save settings.

I'm having the same problem, and looking here even though I have Vista; because no-one else is posting on this. I tell you up front I don't have a decent solution, but out of desperation and hitting every key/setting imaginable it seems that rebooting will reflect your most recent changes (that weren't sticking).
There's another poster in this forum from 2014 that said the same thing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/358982-windows-7-mousekeys-do-not-save-settings.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I can't get Windows Explorer in Win 2k to save it's settings. I've run Registry Mechanic but the problem persists. Is there a Registry tweak to straighten this out?

Thanks,
Neuronjockey

Relevancy 58.05%

Hello,

So here's my problem ever since I rebooted my laptop a few weeks ago most of the settings changed. My wallpaper was gone, my desktop icons were changed and missing etc... but I manged to change those little things back to normal even though some times when I restart my laptop the wallpaper goes back to plain black. The real problem I'm having is in Explorer windows, when I change the display "icon size" or "sort by" settings they go back to default once i open the folder again. For example in my "Music" folder I'll have them sorted out by artist then when I leave the "Music" folder it's no longer sorted by artist.

Any help please?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/379778-how-do-i-save-folder-settings-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 57.19%

So I have a folder of all my music but, I have to right click and select sort by>contributing artists every time. Is there a way I could save it so it stays like this?

A:Sort by settings won't save Windows explorer

Make sure in Folder options in Control Panel, that the setting for individual folders to keep their settings.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/60433-sort-settings-wont-save-windows-explorer.html
Relevancy 57.19%

My Windows 10 laptop (v1607, Build 14393.105) is losing free hard disk space and won't let me change the necessary settings to stop it.
I went to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items >File History > Advanced Settings
Here's what I found:
Save copies of file: Every hour
Keep saved versions: Forever
I made the following changes:
Save copies of files: Daily
Keep saved versions: 1 month
I clicked Save Changes button at the bottom of the screen and closed the dialog.
I went back to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items >File History > Advanced Settings and the original settings were back.
I clicked on the Open Event Log down below. I get a prompt telling me it's creating a snap-in, which fails every time.
My hard disk's free space is getting smaller and smaller. I don't need this! If I want to back up my data, I'll do it manually. How do I fix this problem?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/439040-windows-10-wont-save-changes-file-history-settings.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Sorry for such a basic tutorial but I need to make this for someone and couldn't think of another way to easily create it and just send them a link.

Figured it's basic stuff but maybe someday someone will search it and it'll help them too so you can just let this thread die to the bottom. Thanks.

First Right Click anywhere blank on your Desktop and go to Properties.
Then you click the Screen Saver tab at the top of the Display Properties window. Then click on the Power button at the bottom right of the page.
Then the Power Options Properties window will open and change the time settings accordingly to what you would like.
When done click OK on all open windows to close them and you're done.

A:Power Save Settings on Windows XP laptops

Going into Power Options in the Control Panel brings up the power options properties window.

The settings are a matter of choice for each user. My personal choices are:

Power scheme on "Always On"

All other settings on "Never"

Close lid command on "Do nothing"

Sleep button command on "Do nothing"

Power button command on "Shut Down"

Hibernation turned off

Screensaver turned off

----------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-save-settings-on-windows-xp-laptops.899118/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hello y'all I and Windows personalizations all save/export settings? am having problems with WMP something about codecs and with IE it loses keystrokes in Webforms So I wanted to reinstall repair them Apparently the only way to do this is with a Windows Repair Install I know there was a disclosure at the beginning of this tutorial about all the things that would be lost by doing this but surely there must be a way to export all of your save/export all Windows personalizations and settings? personal Windows settings These to me include Theme - Wallpaper personal cursors Taskbar Settings Windows login screen changes Personal User Icons etc Internet Explorer preferences such as Homepage and behavior on opening tabs etc all customizations Can these not be saved in a file s before doing a repair install Can you not quot repair quot Windows the same way you quot repair quot Office or other program installs After all these are just apps FWIW I do have a separate data partition on my HD but having just created it none of the images I created in Macrium want to work so I cannot just go back to my original image of a Windows Stable Install after Customizations Will I lose anything if I do an sfc scannow What about uninstalling and reinstalling WMP from the Media Components as described elsewhere on this forum I will await your replies In the meantime I think I will now run a Macrium image so I will at least have my sort of working system to go back to instead of 'square one' Thanks you guys

A:save/export all Windows personalizations and settings?

Quote: Originally Posted by juanantoniod

Hello y'all!

I am having problems with WMP, something about codecs, and with IE, it loses keystrokes in Webforms. So, I wanted to reinstall/repair them. Apparently, the only way to do this is with a Windows Repair Install. I know there was a disclosure at the beginning of this tutorial about all the things that would be lost by doing this, but surely, there must be a way to export all of your personal Windows settings??? These, to me, include Theme - Wallpaper, personal cursors, Taskbar Settings, Windows login screen changes, Personal User Icons, etc., Internet Explorer preferences, such as Homepage and behavior on opening tabs, etc., all customizations! Can these not be saved in a file(s) before doing a repair install? Can you not "repair" Windows the same way you "repair" Office or other program installs? After all these are just apps...

FWIW, I do have a separate data partition on my HD, but having just created it, none of the images I created in Macrium want to work, so I cannot just go back to my original image of a Windows Stable Install after Customizations.

Will I lose anything if I do an sfc /scannow? What about uninstalling and reinstalling WMP from the Media Components as described elsewhere on this forum?

I will await your replies. In the meantime, I think I will now run a Macrium image so I will at least have my sort of working system to go back to instead of 'square one'.

Thanks you guys!

Question 1: the closest they have come to making a program that does that is the Easy Transfer Tool.

Question 2: SFC will not touch non-system files.

Question 3: Go ahead and try uninstalling/reinstalling WMP. At worst, it just won't hurt anything.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/84380-save-export-all-windows-personalizations-settings.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I've been running windows eight for around nine months now, and today it decided to remove all my apps and customizations on my computer. This normally wouldn't be a problem, as i could just re-install them, however, every time I log off or power down, the apps and any other costomization resets to the default start up screen, and i lose the majority of my desktop icons. I've attempted a system restore and a system refresh with no luck. dose anybody have any insight on this?

A:Windows Eight Account Switched Won't Save Settings

Well, i discovered the actual issue. For whatever reason my PC decided to make a second user file from a Microsoft account without telling me. I can still access the old files from C:\users\ (-old account-)\ however, i can still not access the store or any apps i had before this happened.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/31249-windows-eight-account-switched-wont-save-settings.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello,

So here's my problem when I start my laptop the wallpaper is black and never uses the wallpaper i have saved. The real problem I'm having is in Explorer windows, when I change the display "icon size" or "sort by" settings they go back to default once I reopen the folder again. For example in my "Music" folder I'll have them sorted out by artist then when I leave and come back to the "Music" folder it's no longer sorted by artist. But 1 outta 10 times when i start my laptop I can change the folder view and it saves like it used to before but this happens rarely.

Any help please?

A:Windows 7 doesn't save folder view settings

This batch file from the tutorial should set them back to the default. Then when you customize them Explorer should remember the customizations for awhile. It seems nothing forces Explorer to remember for very long. A work-around rather than a fix.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/389356-windows-7-doesnt-save-folder-view-settings.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have a Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A5305 with Windows 8.1. The Device Manager only tells me "AMD High Definition Audio Device" and "Realtek High Definition Audio". I've tried updating the drivers, and Windows says they are already the latest ones. The problem that I'm having is the sound is extremely low and without any bass. When I go to Speaker Properties, in the "Enhancements" tab, I have to constantly uncheck and re-check the box to disable all enhancements. This fixes the problem for a short time, and then it goes right back to the way it was. I've checked Windows update as well. I'm not sure what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas? Just to clarify, Windows is acting like it's saving the settings, and the settings I set show that they're still set, they just aren't having any affect after a few hours.

http://www.eightforums.com/sound-audio/41521-toshiba-laptop-windows-8-1-wont-save-sound-settings.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I am trying to copy my Windows settings from one XP machine to another and use the Files & Settings Wizard that comes with Windows. I can save them without any problem (this creates a folder 'usmt2.unc' which contains a .dat file and a status file) but when I try to import it using the same wizard it says that the location I selected (e.g. a network drive or a portable drive) 'does not contain stored information'.

The same happens with the Office Wizard. It comes with an error message 'the ops file cannot be read by the wizard'.

I use XP SP2 on both computers.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-using-the-windows-save-files-settings-wizard.36269/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi,
I'm interested to do a clean installation of Windows 7 with SP1 integrated and I wanna do this as fast as I can with minimum possible effort especially when it comes to the configuration of office 2010 settings which 'll take a HUGE amount of effort if I have to do it again from scratch.
I just wonder what exactly are the programs which Windows Easy Transfer save their settings?
I'm asking because there may be some programs that I may not use again on my new installation of windows 7 so I'm not interested for WET to import junk files for programs settings that may not exist on my new installation anymore.

In other words, I wished if there's a possibility to know what EXACTLY are the programs that WET transfer settings for? Is it Microsoft products only? or I can have settings of other 3rd party software transferred like Adobe Photoshop CS5/Bridge?

A:What programs does Windows Easy Transfer save their settings?

IMHO Clean install usually means formatting the drive. Easy transfer means updating. We all know how much of a PTIA a clean install is but it is the only way to rid oneself of the junk from a previous Install.

As far as I know there isnt a way to "configure" WET to do selective imports.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/223758-what-programs-does-windows-easy-transfer-save-their-settings.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Whenever I Make A Change And Refresh On The Desktop The Changes Are Reversed Back To Their Old Settings Not Default It Just Stopped Updating Itself I Use TuneUp Utilities [SOLVED] Save My Self Windows Update Doesn't Won't Settings, And If I Correct Problems All Problems Get Solved There Is This Total Problems Corrected This Month x Total Problems Corrected Ever y After Cleaning [SOLVED] Windows Won't Save My Settings, Doesn't Update Self The Problems Both Become And Then When I Close And Open That Program Again It Is x and y Again And The Problems Are Restored Please Help Me For Now I Will Try System Restore If This Is A Virus Please Mention It's Name If You Know It Or If You Had This Virus Tell Me Which Anti-Virus You Removed It With Thank You System Specs MHz MB RAM Intel Pentium III Processor Windows XP SP Browsers IE FireFox Safari [SOLVED] Windows Won't Save My Settings, Doesn't Update Self BETA ClearType Yes Can't Disable My Problem Installed IE Recently Anti-Virus No Use Windows FireWall SafeMode Working Problem On There Too But Not On Administrator Internet Connection K IP Shared By People Genuine Windows Yes Problem Since Today AM Never Experienced ANYTHING Like This

A:[SOLVED] Windows Won't Save My Settings, Doesn't Update Self

Hello Wali Abro, Welcome to TSF!

Part of your problem could be the lack of RAM and the fact that you have a few browsers installed.

Quote:

Browsers: IE7, FireFox 2.0.0.7, Safari 3.0.3 BETA

Furthermore,
Quote:

Anti-Virus: No,

...this is very and foolish indeed.

Quote:

Internet Connection: 256K (IP Shared By 8 People)

These last two items certainly will not help you have trouble free Internet 'surfing' without the possibility of major threats from spyware or malware.

First thing to do is install a good anti virus program, because not having one and 'surfing' the Internet is like leaving your wallet in a public place with a note on it saying "Help yourself!!".

Which of course is very unwise indeed, and could be the cause of your issues here.

Having said that I recommend that you have a good look at this...

A Guide to the Installation and use of AVG? FREE Anti-Virus.

Once you have read the instructions given in the Installation Guide, you should download the
AVG? Anti Virus Free Edition program, and install it using the instructions given in the Installation Guide above.
(Click on the coloured links for further information.)

When you have the program fully installed and operational, I strongly urge you to run a full system scan using AVG? Anti Virus Free Edition.
(This may take up to 2 hours, depending upon the size of the HDD's that are to be scanned.).

At the completion of the AVG? scan (and if any threats etc. are found) follow the instructions to put any "nasty" objects in the "AVG Virus Vault"; then, report back here for further instructions.

Kind Regards,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-windows-wont-save-my-settings-doesnt-update-self-187051.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing a similar problem as the one found here: http://forums.techguy.org/multimedia/681451-video-settings-windows-media-player.html

I currently use Windows Media Player 10 but I cannot save any video settings (on brightness, saturation, etc) that I've made. I have save my edited .avi file as the original, but the problem still remains. My video card is an ATI Radeon X1600 Pro 512 MB DDR2.

Could anyone please suggest a solution? I could not the "Overlay" setting in my Display options in Control Panel, as proposed by the poster in the linked thread.

Thank you very much!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-media-player-10-failure-to-save-video-settings.794325/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi guys, I just upgraded from win7 to win10. Smooth upgrade, but I noticed all my textfiles on my desktop and sticky notes from win7 disappeared. So I decided to restart my pc. What I noticed is on the bottom right of the screen as I reboot, it says something along the lines of "Unable to access data and documents because you are not signed in. Please sign out and re-sign in". I also notice that anything I do on thje computer gets reverted back to default after the computer is shutdown/rebooted. Now the odd thing is that my computer is called "HP" even from windows 7. So even after I sign out and sign in, I can only see "HP" as an option and no "Guest" or anything else. But even logging in as "HP" still won't recognzie me as the owner. PLease help. Thanks!

A:Upgraded to Windows 10, won't recognize as owner, settings dont save

Yes anything that was on your Windows 7 install will not transfer over to 10, unless it is programs and documents in folders that the OS install is set by Microsoft to transfer over. Microsoft has deemed prior editions of Windows incompatible with Windows 10, so you see a lot of issues crop up when you do a in place install. Always do a clean install, never let Windows update. The update would have been pending for reboot after idle. It is easy to stop the install if people just kept an eye on what they allow to be downloaded by Microsoft Update on the prior and current version, along with shutting down their device when not using it, instead of leaving it running and to go into sleep which can be woken up when Windows checks for updates.

As for logging in. You have to use a Live account with your email and a password. Otherwise you have to use a Local account. It is easy to go and fix if you download the Windows 10 PE and install on a USB stick.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/50551-upgraded-windows-10-wont-recognize-owner-settings-dont-save.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello all.

I was wondering if it was possible to set Windows 7 for a new user of the computer so that is asks them for a Language, Country, Computer Name, User name e.t.c when they turn on the computer for the first time.

All help appreciated. Regards GFB.

A:Settings Windows 7 for a new user

From what I've read on this forum, it's possible by using the sysprep tool. Some people use it to migrate an existing Windows 7 installation to a completely new computer (or the same one after major changes like a new mobo etc.) which requires Windows to install new drivers for the new hardware on the next boot. As a side effect it also behaves like it's being run for the first time and does exactly what you're asking for above.

I don't know the specifics, but I'm sure someone knowledgeable will chime in soon and give you more details.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/191004-settings-windows-7-new-user.html
Relevancy 53.75%

This is a Micron PII 450, 256RAM, On board Vid, 10 gig hard drive, Winmodem, Win XP Pro. The real problem is my brother clicks on things and downloads junk programs without knowing what he is doing. Here we go though and hopefully someone might have a suggestion. Before his downloading of some program which he does not remember what the computer would start up with no user logon or anything. Now the computer boots up past the welcome screen then it has his name and icon like with multi users and when you click on his name it starts installing his settings then shuts down. I have tried going in on safemode but I can't seem to get anywhere near windows. any suggestions would be grateful.
Ricky

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-shuts-down-while-loading-user-settings.181191/
Relevancy 53.75%

during startup i get a pop-up displaying message Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\give.exe.

in addition when sutting down, it says end program-sylePromotion.exe,
which then shows the program is not responding.I have to choose End Now
for pc to continue shutdown.

The pc is not connecting to the internet and is becoming very slow. Am i virus infected? have scanned with AVG 9.0 but nothing is found.

can anyone please help?

thanx

DB

A:Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\giv.exe

Hello and welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

Download the tools needed to a flash drive or other removable media, and transfer them to the infected computer, if you don't have access to internet.

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/windows-cannot-find-c-documents-and-settings-user-giv-exe-452348.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Okay it s kind of a long story so bear with me here A couple years ago I had a problem that required the reinstallation of settings XP repair... Restoring after a old user Windows Windows I originally had Home edition but during the repair the friend of mine doing Restoring old user settings after a Windows XP repair... the work reinstalled it using a Professional edition When this started I used the same user name as I Restoring old user settings after a Windows XP repair... had before John K For the longest time I had the option to run either Home or Professional but never bothered with the former I had to re-do a bunch of personal information but at the time I was just thankful to be able to boot up again Most of the files for that were under quot WINXP quot whereas the old ones were in the folder quot WINDOWS quot and ignored Just today I had to run a repair reinstall again this time using a Home edition installation again because that s all I had available While the repair was successful when it came up it defaulted to the user settings I had the last time I used Home and I think it s defaulted to the quot WINDOWS quot folder again At the moment in C Documents and Settings there s two relevant user files quot John K quot and quot John K STUFF- FDD quot The latter is all the settings and such from my time using Professional Edition When I go to quot Change Users quot there s just the one named quot John K quot I would very much like to restore all the settings as they were prior to the most recent reinstallation but I have no idea if there is any method whatsoever of doing so All my files and such seem to be intact but all my settings and shortcuts and bookmarks and so on seem have been essentially wiped clean And it would be very nice to not have to redo all of this manually My first instinct is to try transfer all the files from one user data file to the other but I have no idea what that would do and I m really paranoid about accidentally messing things up as it s been awhile since my last backup I ll be rectifying that as soon as I get all this sorted out believe me Could my solution be as simple as that I think that s everything relevant but it s highly possible that I ve left some important detail out without being aware of its importance I would very much appreciate any and all help with this matter Thanks for your time nbsp

A:Restoring old user settings after a Windows XP repair...

Do you have an external drive and imaging software (ie Acronis)?
If so, I would recommend creating an image of the drive (Windows) in it's current state.
Then, you can troubleshoot to restoring your settings (as possible), and in a worse case scenario you
have a backup to restore in case you "mess something up."

I think that you are pretty much "stuck" with the current XP Home
settings since you did a repair install. You will most likely need to manually transfer the files that you need and manually restore the settings. Since you did the repair with Home, you will have certain limitations that you may not have had with Professional.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restoring-old-user-settings-after-a-windows-xp-repair.905045/
Relevancy 53.75%

So on June I shut down the PC and ok the Windows Update I turn the PC on today it still shows the four users that we have built into the PC but when I log into my user all user settings are gone My favorites are gone Outlook Express MS Outlook my Quick Launch Desktop background and icons everything tied to my user is gone When I launch My Computer and go into the quot User s Documents quot folder it does not have my settings Favorites etc lost User Update after settings Windows BUT when I drill into the file structure and go to my quot User settings lost after Windows Update User quot folder under quot Documents and Settings quot the Favorites and many other settings are in there My Programs seem to be all there except Google Chrome is mysteriously gone I m hoping my emails from OE and MS Outlook are still somewhere Is there a quick fix Turns out some of the Windows Updates cannot be uninstalled If not where would my Outlook Express settings be stored These are the updates User settings lost after Windows Update that were added KB KB Windows Imaging Component cannot be removed KB -v cannot be removed And a large number of Microsoft NET Framework Service Pack updates of them And a large number of Microsoft NET Framework Service Pack updates of them I can list the NET updates if it will help I am running Windows XP Media Centre Edition Service pack Thank you in advance for any help nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

Okay it's kind of a long story so bear with me here A couple years ago I had a problem that required the reinstallation of Windows I originally had Home edition but during the repair the friend of mine doing the work reinstalled it using a Professional edition When this started I used the settings Windows old Restoring user XP repair... a after same user name as I had before John K For the longest time I had the option to run either Home or Professional but never bothered with the former I had to re-do a bunch of personal information but at the time I was just thankful to be able to boot up again Most of the files for that were under quot WINXP quot whereas the old ones were in the folder quot WINDOWS quot and ignored Just today I had to run a repair reinstall again this time using a Home edition installation again because that's all I had available While the repair was successful when it came up it defaulted to the user settings I had the last time I used Home and Restoring old user settings after a Windows XP repair... I think it's defaulted to the quot WINDOWS quot folder again At the moment in C Documents and Settings there's two relevant user files quot John K quot and quot John K STUFF- FDD quot The latter is all the settings and such from my time using Professional Edition When I go to quot Change Users quot there's just the one named quot John K quot I would very much like to restore all the settings as they were prior to the most recent Restoring old user settings after a Windows XP repair... reinstallation but I have no idea if there is any method whatsoever of doing so All my files and such seem to be intact but all my settings and shortcuts and bookmarks and so on seem have been essentially wiped clean And it would be very nice to not have to redo all of this manually My first instinct is to try transfer all the files from one user data file to the other but I have no idea what that would do and I'm really paranoid about accidentally messing things up as it's been awhile since my last backup I'll be rectifying that as soon as I get all this sorted out believe me Could my solution be as simple as that I think that's everything relevant but it's highly possible that I've left some important detail out without being aware of its importance I would very much appreciate any and all help with this matter Thanks for your time

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restoring-old-user-settings-after-a-windows-xp-repair-463779.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello,
So far, this has happened to me twice in the last 6 months. I logon to Windows 2000 using my normal user account and password, and the OS comes up as though I am a new user. My original documents and setting folders are all still there, but the OS has created a new set of folders named <user name>.<computer name>. To my knowledge, no one has logged on any differently or changed anything.

I eventually can get everything back by brute force; usually copying local setting folders into the new folders and annoying things like that. I would love to know:

- Why it happens (and how to prevent it)
- How to easily point the user settings back to the original folder structure.

Help!

Thanks

Peter

Relevancy 53.75%

I used to use Windows Easy Transfer to backup my settings and files before reinstalling/reimaging...etc - now that doesn't exist, and File History really doesn't cut it when it comes to apps and settings.

A system image really won't work either, as I need to reinstall windows 8.1 on a new system with different partitioning...etc.

Are there any Windows 8.1 native tools that will do it? If not, are there any freeware apps that perform the equivalent?

I have checked out Paragon Backup and Recovery (more all-or-nothing) and D7 (freeware version doesn't have automated restore - but it does create registry dumps...hmmm) but neither seems to work as simply/well as WET used to.

I have tried just saving the User profile folder, but unfortunately, that doesn't save anything that's in the registry (outlook profiles, app settings...etc).

A:Backup and Restore User Settings in Windows 8.1

I wonder if they actually deleted migwiz in 8.1? Look here: %windir%\system32\migwiz\migwiz.exe

If it's there it may still run. If not you can try adding it. I just zipped up %windir%\system32\migwiz as W8migwiz.zip. Currently uploading to my Dropbox account. If you want to try it, download from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1b8rabjupy59pmz/W8migwiz.zip

Edit: Just tried it on my Win 8.1 X86 laptop and %windir%\system32\migwiz is still there and running migwiz.exe brings up the normal WET window, but it seems to only support transferring into 8.1, not from 8.1, bummer.

Edit#2: tried renaming %windir%\system32\migwiz to %windir%\system32\migwiz-old then unzipping W8migwiz.zip to %windir%\system32\migwiz. Won't run, bummer.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/38926-backup-restore-user-settings-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 53.75%

so this is it,, i never established a user before 10 minutes ago my login was always administrator,, and due to spy ware and stuff that just started to bug me i decided to create a new log in,,
now when i created this new user my admin user does not exist anymore?? but all the mal ware from my old log in came to this new one,... anyways, the malware is not the prob,,
the prob is that i lost of of my tweaked user settings, i lost my beatifull desktop and i want it back!!! does anyone know how to get back my Admin user????

Relevancy 53.75%

I have an Aspire One Cloudbook which I bought last October with Windows installed I didn't have to upgrade from earlier Windows nbsp As Windows has force-updated the sytem over the months I have frequently had problems with the synaptics shows user no settings after Windows t... 10 touchpad touchpad losing settings But I have always had the opportunity to go into the settings and re-set the gestures scrolling options etc nbsp The last week or two I have found mouse settings options in the Win Settings screens showing almost always just the Microsoft mouse settings resettings nbsp After an update today the synaptics icon has disappeared from the system Windows 10 touchpad shows no user settings after t... tray so I cannot double click it and get to the synaptics hardware tab to re-set anything nbsp To complicate matters the most current synaptics drivers here at Acer for this cloudbook is version BUT THE WINDOWS O UPDATE TODAY INSTALLED nbsp Assuming I can find synaptics hardware settings options somewhere -- well right now I'm lost on how to do that because there's nothing under properties or anywhere else I can find any user-modifiyable settings except for pointer options nbsp HELP PLEASE nbsp Thanks nbsp Gary

A:Windows 10 touchpad shows no user settings after t...

Check in Device Manager, do you have any devices showing errors?

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/Windows-10-touchpad-shows-no-user-settings-after-today-s-update/td-p/417178/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello, all!

How do I go about changing the default user's setting on a Win2K Pro machine? I want to change the default user's settings to Power User or Administrator so that whenever anyone logs in, they have access to everything. Thanks!

A:Default User Settings in Windows 2000

Try "start", "settings", "control panel", "Users and Passwords".You should be able to make your adjustments from there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/default-user-settings-in-windows-2000.152894/
Relevancy 53.32%

Until today my computer running Windows XP Home Edition had two user accounts one for my mother Home User It Files", Them Indicated Didn't Account To Save XP Edition: "Save Deleted, titled quot Nancy Loury quot and one for me titled quot Kev quot However I found myself simply using my mothers more often and saw having two accounts when both of us really only use one as redundant So XP Home Edition: User Account Deleted, Indicated It To "Save Files", Didn't Save Them I decided to delete the Kev user account The account had all of my very important XP Home Edition: User Account Deleted, Indicated It To "Save Files", Didn't Save Them files in it under My Documents When I went to delete the account it of course asked me if I wanted to save the contents of the My Documents folder for the Kev account under a folder labeled quot Kev quot on the Nancy Loury user s desktop I of course did want to save them so I clicked quot Save Files quot the account was deleted and on the desktop is the file labeled quot Kev quot which according to the system should hold all the contents of the My Documents from the Kev account I clicked on the folder and to my horror I found that it was completely empty the system had not saved a single one of the files in My Documents like I had asked it too and like it said it would do Nothing is there I ve no idea why this happened all I know is I m extremely upset about this What do I do to recover the files from the now deleted My Documents nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-home-edition-user-account-deleted-indicated-it-to-save-files-didnt-save-them.667663/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a Dell inspiron N4010 that was presenting blue screen OD all the time after fallowing the stop codes decided to reinstall windows via recovery disc. windows recovery to factory settings ask for user name and password after the initial set up it will keep me on the blue screen, but does not load any picture ID or user name on the screen please help...

A:windows recovery to factory settings ask for user name and password

Try running the more stable Recovery partition following these steps: Dell Restoring Your Computer?s Software to the Factory Settings

Do you have the Dell Reinstallation DVD? It should not ask for password if you correctly boot it to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/221446-windows-recovery-factory-settings-ask-user-name-password.html
Relevancy 52.89%

We have this image installed on about 7 laptops and they are all having the same issue. The issue is that, the user logs into the Win XP laptop which is on a domain, changes her desktop picture, changes her screen res and moves her desktop icon in different places. After the user logs off and logs back in the setting revert back to the default settings. I have checked the defalut user NT USER file and it is not .man. Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-not-keeping-the-user-profile-settings.715792/
Relevancy 52.89%

I am using Windows 8.1, the power options are all set to 'never' but the display still powers off if untouched for 30 minutes, are there any other settings I can check _ Many Thanks

A:windows 8.1 power settings user options not enforced

Somewhere I read that this was fixed by going to the longest time possible rather than Never (assuming 5 hours suits you).If it's a separate monitor see if it has its own "On Screen" settings (buttons near the bottom).Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/windows-81-power-settings-user-options-not-enforced/2051.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello all I ve got a strange problem which has already seemingly stumped someone can t post a URL so go to forums dot spywareinfo dot com search under members for threepwood and it s called quot ie shutdown explorer process at on startup possible virus hijack of explorer quot but seeing Process settings user problem, windows XP and list as it seems less likely to be a spyware problem and more like a windows problem i thought i d post here and give up on the other thread Anyway here are the problems Process list doesn t fluctuate when it is opened On startup explorer shows a stupidly high cpu usage and doesn t change while the window is open Also if i leave the list open and open up another program for example notepad the program will start up but wont come up on the process list This happens only on the one account Process list and user settings problem, windows XP even if i open it in safe mode No other accounts seem affected until i try copying all my settings over to another account I need to know what the problem is and how to solve it so that no other accounts will be affected Another problem cropped up a few days ago My bookmarks list in IE seems to have gone Don t know why IE isn t my main browser so im not too upset although im sure i had some decent links saved which i cant remember now Also today the computer decided to say it had found and installed some new hardware my scanner when my scanner had been fuly installed around years ago System restore isn t possible because i have no points to restore to before this problem cropped up There do seem to be some problems with windows update running but it does run eventually Windows XP is fully up to date No new programs have been installed which could have caused the problem i ve already uninstalled some stuff i thought might be causing it and i ve got no idea what else to try OS is Windows XP SP no error messages come up Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Process list and user settings problem, windows XP

If you haven't already done so, check out this information: http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/explorer.exe.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/process-list-and-user-settings-problem-windows-xp.411522/
Relevancy 52.89%

I share a windows 7 ultimate desktop pc with several other users including a guest user (non administrator) and another standard user (non administrator)

Can these non administrator users access and chane wireless modem setting?

If they can change modem settings is there any way to block them from changing modem settings?

A:can a non administrative user change modem settings in windows 7

Sign in as 1 of them and try.

Why would they be changing modem settings ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/279807-can-non-administrative-user-change-modem-settings-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I got a new computer about a week ago, running Windows XP home and student edition, and have been using the admin account since. That is only true because when ever i go to make a new user profile, like one you select when you want to log in, it dosent transfer Word, PowerPoint, Excel, or One point. I have no idea why, but it dosent. Please help

A:[SOLVED] Windows XP user account settings problems

You will have to reinstall those programs for each user. I believe that there is an option when installing Office to install on all user accounts on the computer, so once you have all user accounts set up, try that.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-windows-xp-user-account-settings-problems-165465.html
Relevancy 52.89%

So I got a BSOD whilst playing Battlefield 2 last night, actually the fourth BSOD of the day, and my Windows installation failed to boot, giving me a 0x7b stop error.

Now I've tried allsorts to fix this, such as CHKDSK and FIXMBR. Now after performing these steps I was promted with a corrupted Hal.dll, so I installed a new copy of windows to a 500GB drive and copied the Hal.dll over from there. However, I was again promted with the 0x7b stop error.

So, my current situation. I've decided just to go to the neww install of Windows 7 and copy my profile and settings over. Now in the past I've done this dozens of times using the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard, but unfortunatley I don't have an up to date backup of my profile.

So, do any of the microsoft guru's have a solution for this please?

A:Recovering user profile/settings from corrupted windows....

There is no reason to copy hal.dll to a new Windows 7 installation.

Wipe the HDD with KillDisk then install Windows 7.

Upon reaching desktop, allow Windows Updates in - www.update.microsoft.com

Then validate your Windows 7 OS - www.microsoft.com/genuine

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/recovering-user-profile-settings-from-corrupted-windows-524860.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello, my computer randomly resets my settings, which are for example:

Taskbar buttons: Never Combine back to Always Combine
Also, it changes my custom user folder location from D:/xxxx/Downloads back to C:/Users/xxxx/Downloads and there is no option to change the location when I right click.

Any idea why this is happening?

A:Windows resets my taskbar settings and user folder location

Hello, Welcome to the forums!

May I suggest you take a look at this tutorial: Taskbar - Backup and Restore Pinned Items in Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/366515-windows-resets-my-taskbar-settings-user-folder-location.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi Guys I work on a Service Desk at load settings XP fails profile Solved: Windows to user the NHS We Solved: Windows XP profile fails to load user settings seem to be having a problem and no-one knows why it is happening and i m determined to get to the bottom of it When ever these particular users logon to the domain XP won t load their profile settings email settings desktop icons etc It does seem to load some of the profile as it doesn t display the quot corrupt profile quot or quot unable to load profile quot error message but it won t load any documents or applications settings so the user gets an empty My Documents folder and an empty desktop I have tried recreating the profile and copying over the settings which does seem to resolve the issue for a while but eventually the problem occurs again So far there are only users having this problem But there seems to be no fix We ve even tried reinstalling Windows on the PC but eventually the profile begins to fail I d love to be the guy to show everyone how to resolve this proble Does anyone have any ideas nbsp

A:Solved: Windows XP profile fails to load user settings

Run eventvwr.msc and look at both the System and Application logs for repeating errors.

Have a look for the errors referenced in this article and if you see any, install the User Profile Hive Cleanup service.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en
MIght be worth installing even if you are not seeing those specific errors.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-profile-fails-to-load-user-settings.886528/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi all I hope someone can help me restore usability to my XP SP installation on my Dell refurb I've lost my original user and program settings after a repair installation It all started when the user told me they had an event using Firefox that necessitated rebooting their computer Upon restarting they got a black pre-Windows screen indicating that the SYSTEM file was not going to work I wished I copied the wording I didn't I tried booting off original repair XP didn't preserve my user/settings...HELP! Windows a Windows XP SP slipstream disc that I use for these occasions went to the repair installation option not the Recovery Console initially but the XP system could not be found just the partition Next I went into Recovery Console to see what registry hive files were in the CONFIG folder All five were there - SOFTWARE SYSTEM DEFAULT SAM and SECURITY - plus one called SYSTEM SAV with smaller size and much older file date I tried backing up these five files to a TMP directory but the SYSTEM file could not be copied I renamed SYSTEM as SYSTEM bak and SYSTEM SAV as SYSTEM but that didn't help reboot or recognize as a working system as again I tried doing a repair install Windows XP repair didn't preserve my original user/settings...HELP! from CD Next I found similarly named files in the REPAIR folder except the SYSTEM file was not there just one called SYSTEM BAK I copied all five of those files to the CONFIG folder having backed up the original five files minus SYSTEM which wouldn't copy I renamed SYSTEM BAK from the REPAIR folder as SYSTEM once it was moved to the CONFIG folder When I booted this time I got a blue screen of death after the Windows splash screen After this I booted using F to get the options at the bottom of that screen it said that lt Windows root gt system ntoskrnl exe was missing or corrupt I booted to recovery console and ntoskrnl exe seemed to be there but didn't try to reinstall it from disc - perhaps I should have The last thing I tried leading to this problem is that I booted off CD and went through the repair installation of the now listed Windows XP Professional system I chose R and let it do its thing It prompted me once about regional settings It seemed to progress maybe a little quicker than usual However after the whole process was over it was booting Windows as if for the first time asking me for user IDs and giving me the chance to learn more about XP Now Windows XP starts but when I look at Users in control panel I just have Admin and Guest - my original user account is not there However the programs that were installed are still listed they don't work quite right yet either prompting me for licenses or other issues such as Net Framework which I can describe later Also the C drive still contains the folders associated with the original user that I'm trying to restore which I backed up again to make sure The Outlook data files are there too Can anyone guess or suggest what my next step should be if I hope to restore functionality to this system sooner rather than later or never I'm about to go through Windows updates of which there are many pending I've thought about hunting for other registry hive files to restore or in a different combination By the way the Windows Restore doesn't show any previous restore points

A:Windows XP repair didn't preserve my original user/settings...HELP!

The registry hives in the Repair folder are placed there during the initial XP install. If you used those hives then no program installed after the XP install would work. 

Do you still have the initial registry hives in config you backed up? Put those back in config. If not then you would need to reinstall all programs.

Look in the hidden folder System Volume Information.Is there a folder named restore with a long suffix. Double click it. Do you see any folders with a RPXX name where XX is a number?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587896/windows-xp-repair-didnt-preserve-my-original-usersettingshelp/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi I recently repaired an XP Professional installation and now i no longer have the option to login but and windows settings start up at folder documents has no user login has to the old profile just a default profile with admin rights The profile still has its documents and settings folder with everything intact and all programs from the original profile seem to be in program files The user also does not appear in local users and groups I have even been able to move over the application data and open a program which remained authorized and had access to previous presets I also made a new profile and in the registry changed the profile image path to that of the old profiles folder I m not sure why it just seemed important to see the old desktop again which i do but all the paths for the programs or at least most of them are set to quot I quot changing the path to quot C quot worked on some programs anyway i user has no login at windows start up but has documents and settings folder digress what am i missing here am I able to regain the previous access nbsp

A:user has no login at windows start up but has documents and settings folder

If anyone could just point me in the right direction, i'll take it from there but i just dont know where to go from here.
is it a registry problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-has-no-login-at-windows-start-up-but-has-documents-and-settings-folder.1135598/
Relevancy 52.46%

I use Windows XP Pro My lovely children got to my computer this morning user's are gone My (my kids!) another settings with replaced Files/Settings and and logged in as me rather than as quot kids quot Now when I try to log in as quot me quot all My Files/Settings are gone and replaced with another user's (my kids!) settings of my settings are gone and the scene and settings look like when you log in as the quot kids quot When I try to go into explorer it tells me I have to install it Same with all My Files/Settings are gone and replaced with another user's (my kids!) settings other programs Nothing shows up as installed If I pull up my programs list it still lists my programs such as itunes word etc My Files/Settings are gone and replaced with another user's (my kids!) settings but if I try to run them they all need to be installed Logging in as quot kids quot still looks like quot kids quot though If I look for my Word documents through another user s Word I can find them under quot kids documents quot quot shortcut to me documents quot I looked at doing system restore but somewhere in the process it looks like system checkpoints have been deleted because the only system checkpoint it shows is from today and is after the change occurred I obviously can access my Word documents but it is my saved email and addresses that I am most upset about Any suggestions Would it make things worse to try restarting the computer Many many many thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-files-settings-are-gone-and-replaced-with-another-users-my-kids-settings.629554/
Relevancy 52.46%

When I started up it says Win.ini corrupt. Then it starts
up as a new user losing track of Favorites and Start Menu
and Desktop Icons, Display and Folder attributes. Under
Documents and Settings it has added Dave.U5R2D5 in
addition to Dave which still has all the information. I tried
switching the 2 Filenames to get back to what it used to be but
gave an error message and didn't do it and started another new file.
Is there some way to use the old Dave file?

A:Lost settings, New user made in Documents and Settings

Hiya asd123321.

It sounds like you`ve re-installed the system from CD over the top of an existing system, giving you a fresh `Dave`. Have you recently run a repair or indeed, done a clean install ?

As a work-around, can you take the documents & favourites from the old `Dave` and put them in the new `Dave` so at least you`re back up and running again.

Jenny

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-settings-new-user-made-in-documents-and-settings.920132/
Relevancy 52.03%

I started configuring Vista Home Premium as an administrative user and was wondering if it was possible to transfer the configuration for that user to a different standard user account which, from what I understand, would be more secure. It should be possible to switch the administrative user account to a standard user account (haven't seen this either), but I would like the option of using a standard user account with basically the settings I have set up so far for the admin account while maintaining the admin account as is. Is there an easy way to accomplish this? Thanks.

A:Transfering Program Settings for Administrative User to Standard User

The easiest way would be to create a new account, copy the profile of the original account over to the new one, and then make the new account a limited one.

Though this is for corrupted profiles, the method is the same:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfering-program-settings-for-administrative-user-to-standard-user.733508/
Relevancy 52.03%

Upgraded from Windows to Windows some months ago Original profile did not require password to log in and was not associated with a Google email or Microsoft account that I know of I added a user a couple of days ago added a personal account of mine with my own password from my laptop because software problem said try another user and this laptop computer didn't have any other users So I added one That was a mistake After I quot added a user quot I could ONLY log on the computer with the NEW user The old one the profile all the Added original User, user profile & / disappeared settings settings the playlists everything was gone Like it never existed There was and is no option to log on as the original The computer became an extension of my laptop with zero other option I had to add a third user and give it admin capabilities just to remove my laptop profile which I didn't really want on this computer I was just adding a user to quot try another user quot with a software problem But all my original settings seem gone I can see additional users in Windows Media Player for instance but it says I need permission to access those Since it is impossible to log on as any other user except this latest and third user I can't give myself permission to access those old playlists Adding a user should come with a warning If anyone has any ideas where I can recover the old settings I'd be grateful The threads I've seen around the web and here have directed to Windows workarounds which do not work for my machine

A:Added User, original user / profile & settings disappeared

Hello and welcome to the TenForums

It might be worth finding out all the users that are associated with your PC. To do this open a command prompt (right click on the Start button) and then type in the following command wmic useraccount list full

This will display all users on your system (including hidden ones) and if you paste the results here we can determine which accounts are still present. If you want to see more details of this process look in the tutorial: User Account Details - View in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56470-added-user-original-user-profile-settings-disappeared.html
Relevancy 52.03%

This problem started 2 days ago, as my computer first stopped working screen hang no commands working, so i directly switched off the laptop an than when it restarts, it booting very slowly an after that it always show preparing your desktop, due to which
al my settings are gone i cannot store anything on my desktop on data in downloads also, it's like system gets reset. Please help me out with this problem.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8b024355-0e99-435e-8ddd-035f1364f193/everytime-i-log-onto-my-windows-81-pro-pc-it-states-preparing-desktop-and-all-user-settingsfiles?forum=w8itproperf
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello everybody

My first post here, hope I'm doing it right.

I'm trying to get a Windows 7 Standard Embedded to work as "it should"

The issue can be seen on the attached photo in this post.

No matter what CAB I install after the image has been build the screen I get under "Control Panel" - "User Accounts" - "User Accounts" is the one I have attached.

I can't find the right feature or pack that I need to install or activate to make me be able to get the normal setting screen in "User Accounts".

Is there any of you people who can tell me what am doing wrong?

Best regards
Morten

A:User Control Panel missing settings and icons - Windows 7 Embedded

Test for infection, run SFC, establish a Clean Boot, then continue through the other Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 reporting back as you go in case other steps are indicated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/375620-user-control-panel-missing-settings-icons-windows-7-embedded.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have two admin accounts on my Windows 8 computer, I want to transfer everything from one of the admin accounts, to the other so I can make it my primary account.

Is there anyone who can suggest the best way to do this?

Thanks.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/35751-transfer-user-account-settings-files-another-user.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I'm creating a new user profile and I want to have the same settings as an existing user account (desktop environment, etc.). Is there an easy way to just copy these old settings from the existing user account or must they all be manually netered and configured again for the new user account?

Relevancy 51.17%

Hi sorry to be one of those guys whos first post is one asking for help but here I am so I appreciate any and all help and hope one day I can reciprocate the favor I also havent seen this problem described anywhere else online and thought people may find it fascinating as well When logging into the Primary user with admin privaledges account the desktop no longer has files and icons it used to have and the start menu no longer shows the User XP redirected set empty and documents account of to login settings folders Windows list of dfault or frequently opened programs some programs but not all are also Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders missing from the start menu programs section If I open my documents from the start menu it takes me to an empty folder not even my music or my pictures default folders inside I also have restricted permissions and cannot change any of the folder view options such as show hidden files Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders and folders When examing the Documents and settings folder I found a new folder called quot TEMP quot inside are the standard user account folders application data local settings documents desktop etc these folders now contained whatever I put in the my documents folder or on the desktop The actual user name being logged into still has its folder located in the documents and settings folder and still has its files and folders intact It seems that the login however now has these new TEMP folders associated with it and a scan of Malware bytes has revealed nothing more then an ask com adware toolbar but I believe the virus may have been removed prior to me having the computer in my possesion So is there a way to undo this login redirect or should I just create a new user account and move the files into it Edit more info in the event log is this is event source userenv Event ID Type Error Description Windows cannot load the user s profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system DETAIL - Access is denied Steps I have taken so far ran CHKDSK to automaticaly fix filesystem errors only minor inconsistencies were found like unused index entries Had to set static network ip information to connect to the internet certain windows folders like windows registration had no permissions for administrators or system Edit looks like I have found a solution and its possible that this profile issue was simply a coincidence but this KB article has fixed the issue by changing the profile registry key maybe someone else will find it usefull http support microsoft com kb

A:Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders

Welcome aboard Let's see, if we can recover your missing features.Download and run UnHideThen....Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.=============================================================================Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList last 10 Event Viewer logList Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result.=============================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt=============================================================================Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.IMPORTANT! If for some reason GMER refuses to run, try again.If it still fails, try to UN-check "Devices" in right pane.If still no joy, try to run it from Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/408043/windows-xp-user-account-login-redirected-to-empty-set-of-documents-and-settings-folders/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi:

My friends computer appears to have gotten a mean virus or spyware. Windows will not successfully start. I removed the drive and set it up as an external drive and scanned it with SuperAntiSpyWare, AVG and MalWarebytes Antimalware. All found some trojans and viruses, apparently removing them all. However, I still cannot access his profile or the administrator profile--all report access denied.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

A:Windows continually restarts/Documents & Settings user profile access denied

Hi:

I also tried booting up with an Ubuntu boot cd and I still couldn't access either the administrator or the user profile. Any ideas?

Tom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/296152/windows-continually-restartsdocuments-settings-user-profile-access-denied/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello all Just around two weeks ago or so something that type Windows Solved: doesn't other "default" save issues. settings, I assume I did has caused my PC to stop doing a number of things such as Recognizing recently used programs in the start menu Allowing the locking and unlocking of the task bar Saving the organization of Solved: Windows doesn't save "default" type settings, other issues. files in the quot Quick Launch quot bar Saving my decision to quot Show Hidden Files and Folders quot from the control panel Saving default file associations and other such settings Such as Firefox as my default browser Winamp and VLC for all media files Windows Media Player also goes through setup every time it Solved: Windows doesn't save "default" type settings, other issues. launched when I forget to use quot open with quot Making folders and other things through the Right Click gt New menus in folders and on the desktop And a wide assortment of other problems that I either can t think of or am unaware of at this time I remember having a similar issue once in the past and I was able to resolve it through a system restore from a time before the issue began This time however the earliest restore available was already after the problem began I m not really sure where to begin with this issue Most of my own little research attempts have lead it to being a registry issue but I have no real justification for that of my own Many solutions have pointed to the policies directory for Explorer but I have no items in there to look at So I come to anyone here asking for some guidance in my issue Thank you for any help you may provide I truly appreciate the assistance Also here are system specs if they are determined to be relevant No hardware changes were made within the past months though Code Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Quad CPU Q GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ACER G T-AM V G Antivirus Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live Anti-Virus Updated and Enabled nbsp

A:Solved: Windows doesn't save "default" type settings, other issues.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-doesnt-save-default-type-settings-other-issues.1015912/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi guys This came about when my brother decided it d be a good idea to open a Word document from his heavily-infected laptop on my machine The main symptom is an invisible file I Documents and Settings Ian Ian exe running on startup that can t be terminated or deleted Spybot reports it constantly setting itself to run on startup I ve run a series of scans with troubles Docs&Settings\[user]\[user].exe ClamWin AdAware and Spybot and this is the situation after that Thanks for your time and I Docs&Settings\[user]\[user].exe troubles hope you can help Ian The HJT log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes I WINDOWS System smss exe I WINDOWS system winlogon exe I WINDOWS system services exe I WINDOWS system lsass exe I WINDOWS system svchost exe I WINDOWS System svchost exe I WINDOWS system spoolsv exe I Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe I WINDOWS system CTsvcCDA exe I Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe I Program Files CDBurnerXP NMSAccessU exe I WINDOWS system nvsvc exe I Program Files EDIMAX Common RalinkRegistryWriter exe I Program Files CyberLink Shared files RichVideo exe I WINDOWS system svchost exe I Program Files TVersity Media Server MediaServer exe I Program Files TightVNC WinVNC exe I WINDOWS System svchost exe I WINDOWS Explorer EXE I WINDOWS system CTHELPER EXE I WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE I Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe I Program Files ClamWin bin ClamTray exe I Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe I Program Files DAEMON Tools Lite daemon exe I Documents and Settings Ian Ian exe I Program Files EDIMAX Common RaUI exe I Program Files locate locate exe I Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe I Program Files Winamp winamp exe I WINDOWS Explorer EXE I Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - I PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - I PROGRA MICROS Office GRA E DLL O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - i program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - I Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - I Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - i program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run CTHelper CTHELPER EXE O - HKLM Run CTxfiHlp CTXFIHLP EXE O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE I WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE I WINDOWS system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot I Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run AdobeCS ServiceManager quot I Program Files Common Files Adobe CS ServiceManager CS ServiceManager exe quot -launchedbylogin O - HKLM Run ClamWin quot I Program Files ClamWin bin ClamTray exe quot --logon O - HKCU Run SpybotSD TeaTimer I Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe O - HKCU Run DAEMON Tools Lite quot I Program Files DAEMON Tools Lite daemon exe quot -autorun O - HKCU Run Google Update quot I Documents and Settings Ian Local Settings Application Data Google Update GoogleUpdate exe quot c O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce SetDefaultMIDI MIDIDEF EXE s Creative SoundFont Synthesizer w SB Audigy User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce tscuninstall systemroot system tscupgrd exe User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce nltide rundll advpack dll LaunchINFSectionEx nLite inf C N User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce SetDefaultMIDI MIDIDEF EXE s Creative SoundFont Synthesizer w SB Audigy User NETWORK SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce SetDefaultMIDI MIDIDEF EXE s Creative SoundFont Synthesizer w SB Audigy User SYSTEM O - HKUS DEFAULT RunOnce SetDefaultMIDI MIDIDEF EXE s Creative SoundFont Synthesizer w SB Audigy User Defau... Read more

A:Docs&Settings\[user]\[user].exe troubles

Hi, Welcome to TSG!!

Please download the OTM by OldTimer.

Save it to your desktop.
Please double-click OTM.exe to run it.
Copy all the lines in the quote box below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

:Files
I:\Documents and Settings\Ian\Ian.exe

Return to OTM, right click in the "Paste Instructions for Items to be Moved" window (under the yellow bar) and choose Paste.

Click the red Moveit! button.
Copy everything in the Results window (under the green bar) to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose copy), and paste it in your next reply.
Close OTM
Note: If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes. In this case, after the reboot, open Notepad (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Notepad), click File->Open, in the File Name box enter *.log and press the Enter key, navigate to the C:\_OTM\MovedFiles folder, and open the newest .log file present, and copy/paste the contents of that document back here in your next post.
Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here.

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediatly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/docs-settings-user-user-exe-troubles.847256/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi,

We are using roaming profiles, win xp on clients and windows 2003 on the
server.

I have a user who complains that the user's settings are not retained - when
somebody else uses their computer. For example the resolution is affected.

Is their anyway to lock down those settings so a default is used.

A:User Settings get changed when another user logons

The last I understood, hardware changes are NOT controlled by the Roaming profile. Any local hardware changes will affect ALL users.

Depends on what the DEFAULT is and if ANYONE can make hardware changes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-settings-get-changed-when-another-user-logons.753278/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi Folks,

I had bought my Acer notebook a while back, which had 3Gb, but seemed insufficient for my work. Hence, I upgraded it with two new RAM Modules of Transcend make (2 X 4Gb) recently. However, I haven't found any noticeable performance improvement post this huge upgrade. Also, when I check the Virtual Memory settings, it shows that "Currently Allocated - 8054 Mb" and "Recommended - 12081 Mb". The check box on "Automatically allow windows to manage paging file size" is checked by default. Every time I go to this screen, and even though I don't change anything, it prompts me to save the setting and restart windows.

Can someone guide me on what seems to be the problem ? I have checked with Acer on the RAM upgrade and they confirmed that my notebook model can take 8Gb (being shipped with 64-bit Win 7 HP perhaps).

Thanks.

Regards,

Ramesh

A:Win 7 HP (64-bit) with 8 Gb RAM - keeps asking to save V'Mem settings

rameshiyer
have a look here
Learn Best Practices for Optimizing the Virtual Memory Configuration
1.5x8 = 12 of course.
You do not need it.
You have tons of real memory for your PC. I suggest you leave/set the virtual memory setting at 8G even though this will probably never be used.

You have an abundance of memory for your machine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/205343-win-7-hp-64-bit-8-gb-ram-keeps-asking-save-vmem-settings.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Normally, if you right-click on an image and select "Save as", you will save that image in the same format as it is found. My computer suddenly began saving .jpg images as .bmp files, and will not give me any options. Is there any way to change it back. J-peg files are much easier to deal with, etc.

A:Save-as settings

Empty your temporary Internet Explorer files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/save-as-settings.309418/
Relevancy 49.45%

My windows installation has many problems most of which are browser-related but even windows related For example if I set firefox as my default browser it won't save this setting at all if I double click a file that should open with firefox it will actually open with chrome Also all of my browsers have problems loading pages for example when I try to login to sites that use steam api I will get some cookies error or smth here's what I get when trying to quot sign in with steam quot using opera save? Settings don't on DOTABUFF - Dota Statistics Location https Settings don't save? steamcommunity com openid lo ail Cfullname X-UA-Compatible IE Edge chrome Cache-Control no-cache private Set-Cookie dotabuff session BAh C kiD Nlc Npb faWQGOgZFVEkiJTQ OWYxNWQ ZjRiNTMyZDBlMWY MDI ZWRmOWNiMmUwBjsAVE kiGHVzZV Settings don't save? kYXRhYmFzZV tYXN ZXIGOwBGVEkiFG tbmlhdXRoLnBhcmFtcwY AFR AEkiFG tbmlhdXRoLm yaWdpbgY AFQiGW h dHA Ly kb RhYnVmZi jb vSSI T BlbklEOjpDb zdW lcjo RGlzY ZXJlZFNlcnZpY VzOjpPcGVuSUQ OkNvbnN bW VyOjoGOwBUbzopT BlbklEOjpDb zdW lcjo RGlzY ZXJlZFNlcnZpY VzCToSQHN YXJ aW nX VybEkiJWh dHA Ly zdG VhbWNvbW bml eS jb vb BlbmlkBjsAVDoPQHlhZGlzX VybEkiJWh dHA Ly zdGVhbWNvbW bml eS jb vb BlbmlkBj sAVDoOQHNlcnZpY VzWwA DUBjdXJyZW bzoiT BlbklEOjpPcGVuSURTZXJ aWNlRW kcG pbnQMOhBAY xhaW lZF pZDA EE BzZXJ ZXJfdXJsSSIsaHR cHM Ly zdGVhbWNvbW bml eS jb vb BlbmlkL xvZ luBjsAVDoPQHR cGVfdXJpc sGSSIsaH R cDovL NwZWNzLm wZW pZC uZXQvYXV aC yLjAvc VydmVyBjsAVDoOQGxvY FsX lkMDoSQGNhbm uaWNhbF pZDA EEB c VkX lhZGlzVDoYQGRpc BsYXlfaWRlbnRpZmllcjBJIi PcGVuSUQ OkNvbnN bWVyOjpsYXN X JlcXVlc RlZF lbmRwb ludA Y AFRAEg D D-- cf a cb ce fd a ebd a dc domain dotabuff com path HttpOnly X-Request-Id e ce c f ab c b f e X-Runtime X-Rack-Cache miss The above thing happens on all my browsers and on many websites especially on eBay The curious thing is I use avast as my antivirus and on my avast safezone browser that is chrome things work perfectly fine so in that quot virtual system quot everything works fine while chrome normally doesn't work fine on my main installation

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/37563-settings-dont-save.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi friends

I am using Win XP, IE7 and MSN (windows live messanger) 8.1
usually I tick the 1st option and whan I start my windows i normally see my email is typed and saved on the MSN main frame, just I key in my password and get connected, unfortunately after format the last 3 weeks I have experienced many troubles, one of them is MSN dos not save anything, i need to type my full email every time I restart my windows, any advices?

===
another issue that i normally can login to my email inbox from the MNS chat window, now when ever I click on that small icon showing the inbox, it plays a page then say (page cannot display) why cannot access to my inbox as before?

Thanks and I will appreciate if any help,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/msn-does-not-save-settings-402120.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I am going to reformat a buddies computer for him. He has DSL hooked up to a single computer. Is there a easy way to save all the DSL connection settings to a flash drive so I can reconnect him to the Internet easily?? Thanks much! PS He has a Dell 2300 with Windows XP Home

A:How to save DSL settings

It depends on the modem. Is a USB modem or a router? If a router, then the settings or stored on the router itself, not the PC. Sometimes, it would be easier to do bring up screen shots of the router settings (usually via a web browser) and the PC's TCP/IP network settings to the printer should be enough...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-save-dsl-settings.673468/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi all,

I have a Thinkpad T43 laptop and was having difficulty with my network connections. It would show that I was connected, but I would get an error when I pulled up my browser. So I went into My Network Connections --> Internet Protocol --> Properties --> General Tab

Use the following IP address was checked, as was "use the following DNS server addresses". I switched them both to "obtain automatically", and it worked!

The problem is that every time I restart or shut the laptop down I lose the settings, and it reverts back to the properties that don't work. Then I have to go back and change both my wireless and wired settings back to auto so I can get online.

How can I get these settings to save? Thanks in advance!

A:TCP/IP settings won't save

When you 'set' them, do you click OK on BOTH screens on the way out?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/tcp-ip-settings-wont-save-537682.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I just got a new computer, and it is just awesome. But when I log off, it some times doesn't save my settings. I noticed because I made a shortcut to Winamp on the desktop and the next time I logged on it wasn't there. I also noticed that sometimes it doesn't even say "Saving your settins" when I shut down, but some times it does. Any idea what the problem is? I have XP Home, SP2....thanks!

A:Won't save my settings when I log off

Try this:

Kelly's Korner - Save settings on exit

Line 54 - right "Save settings on exit"
Download and double-click on the .reg file to edit the Registry.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wont-save-my-settings-when-i-log-off.415728/
Relevancy 49.02%

I love the new look of WordPad, they finally made the program look like it's for a current generation PC. A big problem to me, though, is that I have to manually change the line spacing and check off the 'add 10pt spacing after paragraphs' EVERY single time I open up the program. I don't like this at all, Word keeps your paragraph settings - even the old WordPad did right? Is there a way to keep my paragraph settings saved so when I open it up I don't have to do all of that every time?

A:Why don't settings save in WordPad?

Even after intensive examination I could not find any default settings. I guess they did not want it to compete with Word.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/72326-why-dont-settings-save-wordpad.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi Gang,
Here are my specs:
Seagate 400 GB USB drive w/4 Partitions
Athlon 3000 Barton CPU
2GB DDR2 Ram
Nvidia Geforce 6200 AGP3 Card 512mb
Creative 128bit sound card
Gigabyte GA-7VM400M-P 1.x Mobo 333fsb
Earthlink DSL 6000bps
Floppy drive, 56K dialup modem, Optical Mouse, MS Elite Keyboard, Lighted Black Case

My computer won't boot into either drive. I went into the cmos and saw it was set up for SATA and RAID. I have neither on my pc. When I changed the settings I still couldn't boot. I went back into the CMOS and discovered that the old settings hadn't changed. I cliked Save Settings each time left the CMOS.

How do I fix this?

A:Cmos settings won't save

Normally, this type of thing is caused by a bad CMOS battery. When you see the time and date not showing right, it's a sure sign, and another is a lot of changes not being saved, errors, bad behavior in general.

The non-booting is not usually seen- so, I would not be surprised if there is another problem but you need to rule out the battery.

You COULD borrow a battery from a good working computer. (Doing that will result in the Default settings put in place on that computer- as well as yours)

It will not hurt to replace the battery but do buy a new one- after replacement, give the battery a half hour with the power cord plugged in but not running the computer.

To change battery, here are some how-to-do-it steps:

http://support.dell.com/support/top...&s=gen&docid=5A38FC8B0CC6FC94E040AE0AB7E10B10

The process is very much the same for any tower type computer. Just be very careful, you do not want to slip and scratch the m otherboard! Use a very thin, very small scredriver or nail file, something you can lift the battery up with. If it is a stand-up type, just reach in and pull it out, there is a little tab to unlock it...you should see that info in the page.

You will have to reset the CMOS time, date and any other user settings you had......

Time to get the motherboard manual out- do you have it to follow- I would advise you to!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-settings-wont-save.962463/
Relevancy 49.02%

Every time I try to change my video setting to 32 bit I click apply and when it restarts it is back into 16 bit. This is the same when I try to change left hand to right hand, nothing happens. The only thing that saves is my screen resolution. I just wanted it to stay at 32bit and the gun to be in my right hand, but it will not save this way! My computer (specs) is very good, I have a 24" Samsung resolution 1920x1200, so I am very confused. Just need some help asap!

Edit: I am also getting this error Cache_TryAlloc: 2401392 is greater then free hunk
- I know this has to do something with page pool memory and when I change -heapsize to 64000 in the shortcut command it works but still wont let me play in 32 bit and save my settings?!

A:Solved: CS:CZ won't save any settings?

Can't anyone help?
I have tried searching other sites, can someone else help or point me out in the right direction???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cs-cz-wont-save-any-settings.845687/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi I can't seem to save changes to security settings, which is really annoying. Everytime I click enable, when I later check, whatever I have enabled, is back to disable. In fact I don't seem to be able to save changes in internet options. I click apply, I have even restarted, but it reverts back to before the changes. Any ideas please?

A:I can't save changes to security settings

Hi,

Are you on a home PC or using a PC on a managed network such as at college or at work?

mantis484

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cant-save-changes-to-security-settings.811458/
Relevancy 49.02%

I teach blinded veterans how to use the computer Most of the systems we send home with them are highly customized with shortcuts etc to fit the individual veteran It is not uncommon for something to happen to the system once it Save All Program Will Settings?? That is in the veteran s home and programs even the operating system XP Home must be reinstalled Program That Will Save All Settings?? Once this happens all shortcuts are lost and the veteran some of whom Program That Will Save All Settings?? are quite elderly have to cope with trying to use a system that is no longer set up for them Does anyone know of a program that can go in and save all the settings and shortcuts for programs so that we could just send the veteran Program That Will Save All Settings?? a CD that his tech support person could load in to restore it to the way it was when we shipped it to him Thank you very much for any help you can give with this it s really been a problem for our WWII vets Peace Jane nbsp

A:Program That Will Save All Settings??

Hi,

You could use Norton / Symatec Ghost to make an Image of the original hard disk as supplied with each computer, This would be spanned across a series of CDR's or DVD supplied with the machine.

In the event of a major problem, with a Ghost boot disk, the system could be recovered to its original state.

Drive Image and true Image are similar programs

As you are using Windows XP, you should be able to use System restore.

You could also use PowerQuest GoBack, now owned by Symantec / Norton.

Possible alternative would be to put a second partititon on each hard drive with an image of the original. Your tech support person should be able to revert to this with Ghost, Drive Image or True Image, or other shareware programs

hth

Ceri

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/program-that-will-save-all-settings.240642/
Relevancy 49.02%

ok i just got windows vista a few days ago and did fresh install off of xp since it was an upgrade disk and i disabled some of the serivices but then it wouldnt boot i kept getting a system32 error so i just popped the vista disk back and let it repair itself since i didnt want to have reinstall it.

but ever since then it will not save my personal settings(such as enabling autoplay for a cd/dvd or keep the classic view in the control panel things like that) or let me create a new folder. are these bugs or something and if anyone knows y please tell me i dont want to have to reformat again for something that i can probably fix once i learn this new OS.

thanks in advance

A:vista will not save my settings.

stoggs said:

... once i learn this new OS.

thanks in advanceClick to expand...

Learn the OS, huh?

Microsoft hasn't learned this OS yet!

I got the settings problem too. AND ONE OF 'EM IS MY FIREWALL!!! I have to re-enable it every time I startup!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-will-not-save-my-settings.545166/
Relevancy 49.02%

How do I save the settings for Firefox They took ages to establish amp I know how easily any further tweaking might mess things up amp require hours of trial amp error How settings Save Firefox to to restore Guidance requested for intermediate PC skill level Thanks Peter O SysInfo report Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB G Total - MB Free - MB H Total - MB Free - MB I Total - MB Free - MB J Total - MB Free - MB K Total - MB Free - MB T Total - MB Free - MB U Total - MB Free - MB V Total - MB Free - MB W Total - MB Free - MB X Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd P -UD P Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

hi all,
everytime i turn this computer on, two of the check marks under performance options. "Fade or slide menus into view" and "Show shadows under menus"

both of these are ALWAYS unchecked when i log on. it drives me insane and i have never seen this before.

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP3

thanks in advanced.

A:will not save performance settings?

Right-click on the Desktop > Properties > Appearance tab, click "Effects", make sure the top box is checked and has "Fade Effect" below it and make sure "Show shadows under menus" is checked.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-not-save-performance-settings.964702/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello I have a logitech Quickcam communicate STX The issue is when I change the settings on my webcam to my liking messing with the saturation hue etc etc It never saves the settings to the spot I had it The issue is the apply button is unavailable I mean you can see the button but it s faded and I can t click to it Hope that made sense Anyway it s always been save my the webcam? on settings I Help can't this way since I bought the cam years ago but now it s getting on my nerves because I I can't save the settings on my webcam? Help m trying to post clips of me on youtube and I look different with every movie because I can t get the settings to the exact precise way I had it before Is there anyway to get the apply button to function so I can save the settings on my webcam to my liking so it won t change every time I record and take pictures nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cant-save-the-settings-on-my-webcam-help.729982/
Relevancy 49.02%

First post and a bit of a rant I've found a bunch of great help and fix-it threads for a bunch of the other WTF issues I've encountered with having vista for a month now I still can't figure out why it needs save settings won't F***ed? Forgetful or gig to run though Nine times out of ten if when I want the screen saver to work it doesn't Forgetful or F***ed? won't save settings I set it for minutes and it'll work once in a while but usually not I have to resort to the preview button when I come back and check to see that it's not doing it's ribbon thing or any of the others or any of the plus scr that are on the drive too When I start it up in the morning the wait time has reset back to one minute every time I let this machine run all day as it's my phone too which brings us to the next glitch Skype in out for the phone works fine when I set my online status to any of the away dnd invisible for the evening shut it down and boot up in the Forgetful or F***ed? won't save settings morning it always starts Forgetful or F***ed? won't save settings as online Doesn't do that with my XP system Folder settings stay where I put them everything else works fine like the sidebar etc No other real issues OEM vista sp just the recovery disk and I don't really want to revert back to day as it's at about day now Any ideas Thanks in advance

A:Forgetful or F***ed? won't save settings

Hi xb12r,

Here's another thread on the subject, seems to be some connection with gateway, you can read through it, although not sure if they found a solution..
Screensaver Wait Time resets to 1 minute

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/212629-forgetful-f-ed-wont-save-settings.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello,
I'm new to Tech Support Guy so sorry if that's a wrong section.
I'm having a not really annoying problem but still I'd like to get it fixed.
I have a MAG AH-778 (INNOVISION Series) monitor and a NVidia GeForce 6600 256MB video adapter (Latest beta ForceWare) and my monitor won't save settings (Size/Color etc...)
Each time monitor is "turning off" for a while (When screen saver is turning on or I'm running some program which is "switching" monitor off for a while or just turning off my PC),All the settings are getting lost.
Is there anything I'll be able to do to make it save settings?
Thanks a lot for any advice!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-wont-save-settings.496856/
Relevancy 49.02%

Ugh this is driving me mad Started this past week Every time I go to save As" never "Save settings remembers something with my broswer whatever folder I choose it s always reverted back to quot date modified quot order It use to always open any folder too quot auto arrange by name quot and set to list which made saving files much easier I ve tried going to folder settings and reappling setting I ve tried changing settings in the save as window etc Nothing is working I even tried unchecking the quot date modified quot selection in folder options and still doesn t work Funny how such a little change like this can make saving things take to times as long since I have to hunt down the proper name and order I labeled the file as That s why auto arrange by name worked best with my system I know this is a minor prob to most of you but any help "Save As" never remembers settings would be great

A:"Save As" never remembers settings

What exactly are you saying bud?

For example when i DL something from my browser,it goes to save it in MY DOCUMENTS (Unless i change it) then i open MY DOCUMENTS and its there.... (I have LARGE ICONS selected and AUTO ARRANGE checked in most folders)

Try changing your folders to LARGE ICONS (full size) it will make it easier for you to find stuff
What is happening when you try to save things?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/458251/save-as-never-remembers-settings/
Relevancy 49.02%

Okay here it goes I m kind of new at this and think I m over my head but - I have a Intel p with an ECS p mobo and recently flashed the bios using the win ami utility from the ECS website and the update After doing so the computer begins to post but stops after quot checking NVRAM Bios won't settings save quot and Bios settings won't save says quot CMOS Checksum Bad quot and quot CMOS set date time quot quot Press F to enter set up quot If I go into setup and correct the date and save f it restarts but stops at the same exact point It doesn t seem to be saving any of the changes I make - date time or any others it reverts back to whatever was there I replaced the battery on Bios settings won't save the motherboard but it still won t save the changes I ve tried resetting the CMOS using the jumper on the motherboard then it stops at the same point and says CMOS wrong the first time but then reverts back to the original message after I quot save quot it doesn t actually save anything The reason I updated the BIOS is because I recently installed a new video card Geforce gs oc which worked but had lines and random falling pixels I noticed the BIOS update on the ECS site mentioned further support for nVidia cards I have tried to put in my old AGP xabre card to see if that solves it but the only difference is that the first boot after I change the card it says quot Checking NVRAM okay quot instead of just quot checking NVRAM quot that it usually does It still won t save the date time and hangs at the same place the next time I boot and no longer says quot checking NVRAM okay quot I really don t know what to do I can t try to reflash the bios because I don t have a floppy drive and I obviously can t get windows to load Is there a way to flash the BIOS from a CD somehow - would that help Any ideas would be great I m sure I left something out Please help nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

I'm having a problem with some Windows programs no saving the window setting, particularly Windows Explorer. For reasons unknown, WE started opening fully expanded, then a few days later it opened taking up about half the screen. When following a page link in Internet Explorer, the new window opens in a much smaller window than it exited from. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neuronjockey

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-2k-wont-save-some-window-settings.501010/
Relevancy 49.02%

How can I export(+import) the current settings of IntExp 11 (from Win 7)?

I am NOT talking about the Favorites and Cookies! I am talking about the preferences visible in menu

Tools--->Internet Options
and
page setup parameter

I guess they are stored in Registry.

Is it only ONE Registry branch or are they spread all over the Registry?

How can I backup and restore them?

Peter

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/how-to-save-ie11-settings-1158065.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hey guys im using a Dell Vostro running on windows xp pro sp and my screensaver doesn't seem to save I already not screensaver does settings save tried running a windows update because i read on support microsoft com and other forums that wireless mouse causes some problems for the screensaver it still does not work Iv'e disabled all startup items still does not work I also tried to run a full scan on my computer and it found no viruses spywares malwares or adwares which is good because i just got this computer for less than week s Then i read in a screensaver settings does not save forum to change the value in the registry keys under HKEY CURRENT USER Control Panel Desktop I changed the value to and when i change the screen saver settings under properties to a minute and wait for a full minute it works But when i restart the computer the timeout saving underproperties changes back to I did click on apply the first time before restarting the computer Now i changed the setting back to minute and then it works But again after restarting the computer it goes back to Now is there a specific registry key that i need to change so that the time setting under properties would stay to minute and won't revert back to Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks a lot

A:screensaver settings does not save

Have you ever found a resolution to this problem? I'm having the exact same problem, and I'm still trying to find an answer. Some searches I did mentioned either stopping the PCMService and set it to MANUAL, and then reboot, to see if that fixes the problem. The other was to either remove the startup instance of PowerDVD, or uninstall the application completely from your OS.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/screensaver-settings-does-not-save-339616.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I am about to reformat the HD on my laptop...is there a way to save my network settings so that once it's reformatted I can just copy those settings back into XP? I have a wireless network, and I don't care to go through the whole process again of setting up my network and file sharing...
Thank you!!

Relevancy 49.02%

I run Msconfig and then uncheck all i don't need apply it then click ok and it tells me to reboot, after the reboot go back into msconfig and they are all there again, what am i doing wrong. I have also checked the selective startup thing.
Cheers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-msconfig-wont-save-settings.229205/
Relevancy 49.02%

My Dell PC running Vista with McAfee Virus & Firewall protection goes to sleep as per my power settings (Power button blinking) but has recently started shutting down (Power button dark) several hours later. No settings were recently changed only downloaded Windows updates.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-save-settings.803552/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello out there!

I would like to know how to save all of my IE customizations, such as my home page tabs setup, my Toolbar options settings, all of my personal IE settings, so that I can uninstall IE and then reinstall it, and if my personal settings were not what is causing the problem, then I can restore them as well.

How can I save all of my personal IE settings to a file so that I can restore them if necessary? I already know how to export the bookmarks/favorites, cookies, and RSS feeds, but surely there must be a way to preserve all of the other settings that I have spent hours tweaking. If so, can someone please tell me how, and if there is not a way, why?

Thanks!

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi I had a problem with my CPU do How Settings? changes to my Power I save i - How do I save changes to my Power Settings? K making high-pitched noises - very odd I solved it with help from AVSIM forums Flightsim as explained here PC making strange noise Any ideas However that leaves me with another problem The registry tweak there produces a new option under Advanced Power Settings Processor Power management called 'Processor Idle Disable' Setting this to disabled immediately stops the high-pitched chirping of the CPU However the 'Save Changes' button on the Edit Plan Settings page never seems to be anything other than greyed out when I make changes to my power plan under the 'advanced' settings so when I reboot the 'Processor Idle' setting is back to enabled and the high-pitched noise is back until I change the setting manually again I tried changing a few other advanced settings but the 'Save Changes' button in never accessible always greyed out Why is this Is the Save Cjhanges button only for the two options on that window 'Turn off the display quot and quot Put the computer to sleep quot How do I get round this Thanks

A:How do I save changes to my Power Settings?

Doubt this will help, but IIRC CTR+S is the Windows keyboard shortcut for Save. Might see if that works, though the real solution would be to get the greyed "Save Changes" back.

EDIT: Also, did you hit the Apply button in the Advanced tab window, before going back to the main one with the Save Changes button? If the change isn't applied maybe the button is grayed b/c it didn't register a change in the settings. Just a guess.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/391149-how-do-i-save-changes-my-power-settings.html