Windows Support Forum

Remotely Accessed Machine's Data can be Copied to Local Machine.

Q: Remotely Accessed Machine's Data can be Copied to Local Machine.

Can I copy the data of remote desktop to my Local machine. If No Why ?
Pls suggest.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Remotely Accessed Machine's Data can be Copied to Local Machine.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Remotely Accessed Machine's Data can be Copied to Local Machine.

Click Start | Help and Support
Search on:
Cutting and pasting to and from a remote session
and
Accessing local files and folders in a remote session

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remotely-accessed-machines-data-can-be-copied-to-local-machine.878882/
Relevancy 21.5%

I've said time and time again that solid state drives are the future but the truth of the matter is, traditional spinning disks still have a place inside a modern PC as a storage / backup drive. The question then becomes,...

Read more

A:Latest hard drive reliability data reveals it may be best to avoid 3TB drives

Well I'm glad I have never bought a Seagate HD. I usually buy Western Digital, except my SSD is Samsung.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/latest-hard-drive-reliability-data-reveals-it-may-be-best-to-avoid-3tb-drives.208285/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have my house wired for separate gigabit Ethernet networks I want to create one network let s call it quot A quot that everyone can get at for backups AV files etc That network would have specific physically separate hard drives in the Win server I want to then create a second network let s call it quot B quot that is only for SOHO stuff It too would have physically separate drives in the server Can I do that Also do I 7 Create 2 NIC Networks? - Dual Can Machine Win Diff. I need anything special with the dual NIC arrangement I can use a Dual NIC Win 7 Machine - Can I Create 2 Diff. Networks? x dual NIC or get a board with dual NIC s And of course I have different gigabit switches as well I am guessing one network would need to be X and the other X which is fine The main thing I want to do is make sure that the hard drives assigned to network A can t be read or altered by network B and vice-versa As a matter of fact I don t want A drives shares visible on the B network or vice versa What do I need to do in terms of IP range static or DHCP subnets drive assigning etc I ve never tried something like this before I don t want to do something like give drive shares different passwords because all that does is create quot forbidden fruit quot and such If Dual NIC Win 7 Machine - Can I Create 2 Diff. Networks? the drives are never seen they are never wondered about Thanks for any thoughts nbsp

A:Dual NIC Win 7 Machine - Can I Create 2 Diff. Networks?

Yes, it's doable. The layout (wiring) can be two variation:

Code:

(A)
modem == router----pc----NAS/hd's
|
+------- other devices

(B)
modem == router1---- pc
|
+---- router2 --- other devices

Whether wired or wifi connected, the controls are similar - - which layout to you favor?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-nic-win-7-machine-can-i-create-2-diff-networks.209011/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi all,

My friend's USB flash memory has data (its drive shows that there is data in it) but when I double click on it to open it and see the contents, it doesn't show any folders and files! I did the following works:

1- I scanned it by my updated kaspersky AV. but no threat found
2- Scanned by windows defender tool. same result!
3- scanned by malwarebytes anti-malware. same.
4- cmd (run as administrator) -> go to its drive (e.g., H:, when H is my flash drive) and typing the attarib -s -h *.* /s /d command. It could not to show the data.

All my attempts faced failure till now.

Can anyone help me please?

A:USB flash memory has data but doesn't show the contents

Salam
Go to cmd (run as administrator) -> go to its drive (e.g. H: where H is my flash drive) and type the attrib -s -h *.* /s /d
Now flash will show the data.
Your attrib spelling was wrong correct them
Try it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-flash-memory-has-data-but-doesnt-show-the-contents.193421/
Relevancy 22.36%

This laptop will not save documents or files to the hard drive. They are there when initially saved, but disappear when the system is next switched on.

Anyone help me pls...

A:Laptop Fail to save any data to harddisk

You need to say whether you are new to computers or not and which Windows operating system you have. I remember when we first got a computer many years ago the wife thought that I'd deleted her work. In fact we didn't know whereabouts it was saved and couldn't find our way around. If you are a beginner using Windows 7 try clicking on the Start button and then Documents in the menu that opens to the right. By default that's where things are saved but you can use the Save As option and choose a different location.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-fail-to-save-any-data-to-harddisk.208753/
Relevancy 51.17%

I know we had a thread on this in April of last year but what I really want is a poll so I can quickly see the numbers. What I'm trying to see is how many people are running 3 core machines and how many people have 6 core procs. Keep in mind I want to know actually cores, not the number of simultaneous threads you can run. Also, if you're using a multiprocessor machine please add up your cores. Also, if you have a triple core machine but it's not your primary I would appreciate it if you would post so in the thread.

A:How many cores power your primary machine?

Work related question or just curiosity?

I run 2 cores now in almost everything I physically use. I have a single core system that runs and does stuff for me nearly 24/7, but I almost never sit in front of it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-many-cores-power-your-primary-machine.171334/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi,

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

Thanks

A:Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-set-up-local-and-remote-user-with-server-2012.206403/
Relevancy 25.37%

Printer Problems in Windows XP sp3
Dell Personal Printer all in one A940
After trying to speed up an older computer running Windows XP
I may have cut off the Print Spooler (or it was already off ?)
I went back to Services dialog box & selected Print Spooler
I clicked the "Start" link at left of service list & got a message tgat said
"could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start."
Printer is still not working can anyone help?

A:Could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068

On Win/7 the dependencies are

HTTP

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
DCOM Server Process Launcher
RPC Endpoint Mapper
Manually start each on and set to AUTOSTART as you go.
If one fails, then that is the root problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/could-not-start-print-spooler-service-on-local-computer-error-1068.206839/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello all,
Windows 7 doesn't recognize my SSD drive. When I go to disk management, it shows a message to initialize it (image no.1) but when I press OK to do that, one another message appears and says: Data error cyclic redundancy check (image no.2). My computer windows doesn't show that drive and also when I went to cmd->diskpart, again it didn't show that disk to use of chkdsk /f command. How to solve the problem please?

A:Data error cyclic redundancy check ssd

I could to revive that disk in diskpart using PartedMagic in boot. I've uploaded a new image from that. The remained problem here is that I can't delete it there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-error-cyclic-redundancy-check-ssd.204783/
Relevancy 26.66%

So I realize that this is my computer telling me that it is not getting a connection to the internet So here is a basic diagram of my setup ISP---- gt Cable Modem----- gt New Splitter---------- gt Asus wifi router working --------- gt Desktop IP also connected to wifi My ISP is Charter Com via a Cable Modem From there I go into a TRENDnet ethernet switch splitter From there I have cable that goes to my desktop one cable to goes Area Local Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx to the upper floor to the wifi router Asus RT-N U The router is working fine and I am currently connected to it I have replaced the TRENDnet Switch every ethernet cable except to Asus wifi router This is where it gets stupid I can disconnect the TRENDnet switch and plug in my Desktop with the IP and it works I have researched this topic via forums for the past month and a half and now after fresh installing windows would like to try and get some input of what other might think is going on I am out of options I Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx had this setup for quite some time with wired and wifi Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx but just all of a sudden about - months ago after moving my desk and plugging it all in again it stopped working Here is a text format of Ipconfig of my LAC Configuration for interface quot Local Area Connection quot DHCP enabled Yes IP Address xxx xxx Subnet Prefix xx mask InterfaceMetric DNS servers configured through DHCP None Register with which suffix Primary only WINS servers configured through DHCP None As I said I am now running a fresh install of windows with no Bonjour program on it I have released renewed and about other CMD commands that I could think of The internet options for this adapter are set to obtain automatically I have ran about every malware program I can think of So any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx

Hmm why the splitter BEFORE the router - - that's not the correct way to add a second router

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
to add a second router:

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
|
+--- new router

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-169-254-xxx-xxx.203909/
Relevancy 22.36%

My bother had deleted my laptop partition files and folders when attempting to extend my C partition. All my stored partition movies were lost and could not be found in Recycle Bin. Do you know where these partition videos are? I really want to view these videos again. What can I do to rescue them? Thank you for any advice!

A:Delete hard drive partition data

Hey, Luminaton03!

Sorry to hear you are experiencing such an issue.
Your data is stilll there somewhere as long as you don't overwrite it. If you save new data, it would rewrite your previous files.
I did some research for you and I found a threat that you might find helpful:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...back-the/a003d747-b760-42a7-819b-0235e8ec6d2c

I really hope this works for you!
Good luck!

SuperSoph_WD

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/delete-hard-drive-partition-data.204583/
Relevancy 21.07%

I have a sony SD Card 16gb class 4 card. I did use the card for almost 3 months, when I tried to use it now, I am not able to access the card,

I tried recovery softwares like recova etc to recover the file, but I was not able to recover even a single byte.

I have many importants files in the CARD, PLEASE HELP ME...,.

Thanks

A:Data recovery SD Card not accessible, says incorrect function showing unknown format

I think >>this thread<< could help you out . He seems to have the same problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-sd-card-not-accessible-says-incorrect-function-showing-unknown-format.201611/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello,

Is there any difference between software which are used for recovering data from HDD or flash memory drives and SSD? For example, can we use of the apps used for HDD to recover data from SSD too?

A:Solid state drive data returning

I do not see why the HDD programs shouldn't work for SSDs. Maybe @jobeard can weigh in if I am wrong. I would check out this article.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/solid-state-drive-data-returning.204388/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi I have all of the above items and would like to stream my media from the ext hd to the TV I had planned on plugging the hd in through usb port of my Sony bravia tv and playing through the built in media player but mpeg avi or mkv don t even show up in the menu strange because I have played both mp and avi before through usb So that isn t working I think my options are to either - a leave a laptop running with Windows media player running and connect it to my xbox I don t really ext. 1tb pc 360 and bravia machine, sony Linux hd, xbox want to do this as I have happily been windows free for a while now b create some kind of server I have no experience here Linux machine, 1tb ext. hd, xbox 360 and sony bravia pc c Convert them to mpeg somehow but I have read that this lowers visual quality more than I would be happy with d Change the folder type so the TV thinks that it is mpeg something like remux I think I read this sounds Linux machine, 1tb ext. hd, xbox 360 and sony bravia pc good to me as quality is retained due to the folder type being changed but the data is not converted Do you have any other ideas and have you any guidance as to what I should do please nbsp

A:Linux machine, 1tb ext. hd, xbox 360 and sony bravia pc

I'm betting your external drive is formatted NTFS or EXT3/4 and your TV can't read that filesystem. You could try using an out-of-spec FAT32 filesystem that uses up your entire drive (you'll have to format with something other than Windows - gparted should be fine). You could also try setting up some sort of DLNA server that I think your TV can access easily. There are many options for that so I'd google "setting up a DLNA server". Remember also that if you go FAT32 that your file sizes will be limited to 4GB or smaller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-machine-1tb-ext-hd-xbox-360-and-sony-bravia-pc.203562/
Relevancy 22.36%

Whenever I connect my Hard-disk to laptop, my laptop slows down and am not able to open the hard-disk folder. Am not able to access my data in it. As soon as I disconnect the Hard disk, laptop gets back to normal. Can anyone please help with the issue ?

A:Recover Data from Damaged Harddisk

If it's physically damaged, nothing you can do it in your own. You need to consult it to a professional unless you have knowledge and experience on some DIY hard drive repair.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recover-data-from-damaged-harddisk.202712/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello all,
My friend's Windows 7 x64 ultimate machine recognizes some USB flash drives but not some other ones. The types of all are USB2 and also all drivers are installed (device manager). I don't know what is the problem. Is there any idea please?

A:My machine doesn't recognize some USB flash drives

USB Device Not Recognized? A Quick Fix For Windows XP/7/8

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-machine-doesnt-recognize-some-usb-flash-drives.202702/
Relevancy 22.36%

Okay not really very good at this but my laptop stopped working so I took hd out and connected it to anotherlaptop through usb lead it appears in my disk management (although it shows up grey instead of black or blue if that makes sense to anyone) but it wont show in my computer I have a load od family photos on this drive and would really love some help and will send out good karma to all who try to help me many thanks in advance

A:Trying to recover data from crashed hard drive

Hi techmichellenot. When you say it stopped working,is there anything on the screen when you power up, or any indication that the system passed it's POST procedure (Power On Self Test), usually indicated by a beep before Windows itself tries to boot up?. Any error messages seen?. Sounds like you put the drive in an external case that can connect via USB. If there is indeed a problem with the disk drive and it's not a physical problem with the drive (maybe a corrupted Windows boot file,etc),your system may have a Recovery procedure that will reinstall your OS without erasing your data files (called a non destructive OS reinstall) as opposed to a destructive which erases everything and reinstalls the OS. I would check your documentation to see if your laptop has such a procedure.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-recover-data-from-crashed-hard-drive.189487/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi,

My internal HDD failed due to a sudden power outage. I can hear beeping sounds like the motor is trying to spin the drive up and failing to do so. This drive contains all my important data ( documents, photos and videos), I'm thinking of taking it to a data recovery center, How much would it cost me for a data recovery service? I've been recommended to WeRecoverData data recovery labs by an IT person, Anyone have experience with them? Any help advice? Thanks in advance.

A:HDD beeping. What's the best data recovery option?

Likely thousands. Hopefully in the future you will make backups of important data.

If it was killed by the power outage, you can probably fix it yourself by purchasing the exact same drive on ebay or wherever and swap the PCB.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-beeping-whats-the-best-data-recovery-option.201578/
Relevancy 22.79%

My house was hit by lightening a few years ago and it fried my computers- so I very quickly went out and bought a WD g mybook external hard drive which I have everything stored on Please keep in mind I am not an expert by any means and do not have a lot of experience with these types of things other than simple computer installs ect but I would not consider myself a beginner I am just desperate to recover my files without having to pay someone to try to do it for me A few weeks ago my computer simply me a WD MyBook off Help my get data stopped recognizing it was there When I would power it off or on or reset it it would attempt to load but the blue light would constantly blink First think I did was try a new USB cord which changed nothing- I also have tried it on three different computers- Nothing I read about taking the hard drive out of the casing yes I realize it voids any warranty but at this point I am more concerned with my data than getting any sort of a replacement so I carefully removed it- I put it in my computer hooked up to a SATA drive- It did not show up in Help me get my data off a WD MyBook Disk management or under my computer I went into BIOS and did see a removable disk but if I set it as boot priority obviously it would not work- I do not know if there was something else I should have done to get it to work in BIOS I then hooked it into another computer where I have a second hard drive- Took mine out and put this one in its place since I know that I am able to access my second hard drive on this computer- It simply didnt show up I then took it to Best Buy- And they informed it that the hard drive was trash- That her machine would not even get it to power up at all that data recovery was not even possible and I should throw the hard drive away and start over I took it to another computer store who told me they could send it out and attempt data recovery at the tune of I brought the drive home- Hooked back up the USB board and plugged it back in as if it was again a external- It turned on- light begin to blink as before- but I can also hear and feel it spinning- I am not hearing any strange sounds nothing sound loose inside it just sounds like it spins for a few minutes then stops- and that light constantly blinks I then read online that someone mentioned that with these they often have an encryption built in to the usb connection which makes it so the hard drive will not power up as an internal hard drive or without that usb board on it Anyone know if there is truth to that I am desperate to get this to function so I can get my files off of it- Please if anyone has any ideas what I can do please share Thank you in advance- Brooke nbsp

A:Help me get my data off a WD MyBook

I don't know anything that'll help you, sorry.

But here's your step#1 problem: My house was hit by lightening a few years ago and it fried my computers- so I very quickly went out and bought a WD 500g mybook external hard drive which I have everything stored on.

If your computers get fried, an external HDD will also probably get fried. Remember, having a backup means having a minimum of three copies (original, 'backup', long-term storage backup).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-me-get-my-data-off-a-wd-mybook.192963/
Relevancy 22.79%

Friends and neighbors, last March I had such a system crash that, due to the number of bad HD sectors, I had to replace the HD. The HD with my various tools was not even detectable. My system ran Windows 7 64-Bit and IE9. The computer is an MSI notebook. Anyway, while doing some searching to diagnose another problem, I registered for this site after seeing Puppy Linux, whose page I saved to my Favorites. Having kept the old HD, in case I could salvage any data, is it possible for me to use Puppy Linux on that old HD? Thanks. Your answers will be a great help.

A:Data Recovery Possible?

Hey Louis. We don't know how bad the drive is, but you can try putting the drive in a USB enclosure, formatting it, then install Puppy Linux on it, since apparently Puppy Linux doesn't require a lot of space and can also be run from RAM according to the Wikipedia link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-possible.200262/
Relevancy 21.93%

So... like most of world my family lives online. Having found that ISP pricing in Alaska is horrendously expensive, I want to find a solution that I can create 4 SSIDs, one for each of my three kids (ages 12, 14, &16) and one for me and my wife, and place a data cap on each SSID so that I can't be hit up with the bills that come with overages. I figure with individual SSIDs they can use what ever device they have with out having to detirmine MAC addresses or IPs used or any of that other stuff.

I would like to have just one router be able to accomplish this. I have an older router, an Apple Time Capsule I bought about 6 years ago, but as I don't use Macintosh computers any more, I would be happy to buy a new router and get it set up to manage this dilema.

Any Advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/router-and-networking-multiple-ssids-and-data-cap-per-ssid.200229/
Relevancy 22.36%

You saved an old hard drive (or three) from previous computers and now you?d like to get at the data on them. Is there an easy way to access the data without cracking open your current computer and mounting the hard drives inside?

Read more

A:How to Get Data Off an Old Hard Drive (Without Putting It in a PC)

very good. I was trying to explain this to someone. Now I think I will just send then the Web Page.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-get-data-off-an-old-hard-drive-without-putting-it-in-a-pc.200129/
Relevancy 52.03%

So as a service tech I have had to troubleshoot many a bad power supply or motherboard but here is an error I have not encountered yet The tower time only first Machine the powers up I am troubleshooting is -bit HP compaq dx microtower I dont think it has vista on it any longer but it doesn t get that far When mouse keyboard VGA display and power are plugged in and I press the power button the fans spin up and the machine begins to Machine only powers up the first time power up but nothing comes on the monitor Monitor is on correct input setting and verified to work Also note that there are no addition display chips installed nor have there ever been any So I power it down to verify RAM is seated HDD plugged in all cables and buses are correct and they are but when I press the power button there is no response at all this time no matter what I try I even bypassed the button with another switch in case the relay was bad and no luck So I left work traveled out of town and a week later I come back and give it another try Here s what is strange like a de javu the machine does the same mysterious thing where it powers the first only and no luck the subsequent times It seems the power supply is ok at least enough to power it the first time and the motherboard LED is on Obviously something has gone bad but what could it be has anyone encountered a similar issue nbsp

A:Machine only powers up the first time

Three times actually.

One with a bad set of RAM modules.
The RAM modules were RMA'd. When I tried them in two completely different systems, they somehow locked up the system and removing the motherboard battery was the only way to get the system functioning again, even with the previous modules.

Two with a replacement motherboard.
The motherboard replacement would not boot with an i7-2600K. After calling the vendor they convinced me to try a lower level CPU so that I could flash the BIOS. Since all previous versions of the BIOS that I am currently running support the i7-2600K, I suspect it was a newer BIOS meant for Ivy Bridge support.

Three with a power supply failure.
The power supply failed in the middle of using the PC. During the process of rebooting, the PC would not do anything.

All three times the PC would try to boot but fail. On reboot attempt there would not be any signs of life. After disconnecting the battery and/or removing the power cord, the system would then try and attempt to boot once again. Long story short, it could be a number of things that could be wrong, don't rule any of them out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/machine-only-powers-up-the-first-time.199707/
Relevancy 22.79%

I burned 1 GB of info in a DVD-R disc. Computer could read it perfectly and said 1 GB was recorded and 3 GB still free available for more data.
Next day I tried to add more data, 0.5 GB in a folder. All was OK, I dragged folder to DVD and PC said it was doing the job, after 2 minutes said folder was ready to be burnt. But the previous folders did not appear. I quit burning and tried to check the information on DVD. right- clicked properties and PC says it has 1 GB of data burnt and 3 GB available. But if I try to read the information I had burnt before, nothing, no files or folders.
May I still recover the 1.0 GB recorded first day? HOw?

A:DVD-R with 1 GB info but data is missing

When burning multiple sessions to a DVD-R disk, if the sessions are not left open or closed improperly, then it can "lose" data or make the entire disk worthless. As for recovering data from a DVD-R or any optical disk, for all intents & purposes it's a lost cause, it's not impossible, but it would cost out the wazoo and the likelihood of recovery is slim.
As cheap as DVD-R disks are, don't burn multiple sessions, just burn once and be done with it.

Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-r-with-1-gb-info-but-data-is-missing.198267/
Relevancy 52.03%

Configuration of existing machine :-
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz
Samsung 320 GB Hard Drive
4GB DDR2 RAM
450watt Of PSU
Intel DG41RQ Motherboard

now I want to modify my machine to a gaming PC so plz suggest which of the hardware components should I change or add it into my machine .My budget is
(10,000.00 INR ) 160 USD

A:Need to modify my existing machine

Well, if you want to build a gaming rig from this machine, you need a GPU and that's honestly all that's missing. My suggestion for a 160 buck price point is this: (Since I cant see where you are located, ill guess based on the currency you posted).

HD 7790 Ghost Edition 1gb 10850.00INR

That's the best card you will get in your area at that budget, that will bring you up to a gaming rig levels and should work with your current setup. The biggest problem is going to be your PSU next, the card recommends (According to newegg and XFX) a 450 watt PSU, however based on your specs, you should keep below the PSU's threshold because you have a 450watt so even under load with that card you will be fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-to-modify-my-existing-machine.197797/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi all,
I am planning to build a new machine and am wanting to start with the case,,,was wondering if I will strike any difficulties installing old hardware into a new case (apart from the front USB 3.0).
I have been looking at firstly the Gigabyte Sumo Omega here then after I found that I could not get a supplier here in Aus. Struck upon the SilverStone brand here which I should be able to purchase Downunder.

Would it be possible to install in a newer case ? (not planning on going to a smaller form factor) this current Mobo configuration GA- 8KNXPUltra FJ Ultra (with DPS) -Gigabyte-,,?
Thanks in advance

A:Building a new machine starting with case

Whoa a Pentium 4:

Well yes I don't see a problem with that as the screw configs have not really changed and most cases come with tons of different screw holes for all sizes of motherboards (Its normally the Extended ATX boards that are harder to satisfy).

You should not have a problem grabbing a new case and putting your old components in, they will fit in a normal sized case with ease!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-a-new-machine-starting-with-case.196653/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey guys. I recently built a new machine.

windows 8 pro
Cosmos 2
Sabertooth 990FX r2.0
FX8350
H100I
AX1200i
Two red Wesern Digital Drives in raid
M500 SSD - for some reason is slower to load windows than on my M4. The M4 would literaly flash the windows loading screen before being on the desktop, this ssd cycles for a few extra seconds.
Trident X Ram 7-8-8-24 2X8 1600
and using my old gpu for the moment. 5770

How can I run tests to ensure all my hardware is working as it should? Is there any single program to do it?

Windows has crashed a few times on me, and it is a clean install so I think there may be some hardware fault done the line somewhere.

A:Testing my new machine

Basic troubleshooting 101. I will assume that the connections are solid ( RAM well seated, SATA cables secured and known working, power cables well seated etc.), so going on laws of probability I'd start with the RAM assuming you haven't already narrowed down the possibilities by checking the Event Viewer in Win8
Check the BIOS to see that the RAM's setting are correct (timings and voltage) for the specification.
Download Memset to check that the minor timings concur with the specification. You can check this post for dl link and some basic info.
Download Memtest and run. You can check this post for links and basic instructions.

Unfortunately, Memtest works in a DOS environment, so while the RAM may be stable in an idle system it may not follow that the same can be said when the board is pulling heavy current (CPU, GPU, drives).

One other thing to note is that the 970/990X/990FX chipsets have a number of SATA issues. To minimize this make sure you have the latest BIOS installed (1903 I believe).

I'd start with the RAM. If it passes we can look down the probability options.

A full system stress/stability test would be a CPU intensive game - preferably a stage of a late-game RTS or a FPS with a high level of AI and CPU physics (BF3 fits the bill). Most stress test utilities test a component in (near) isolation. LinX/IBT/OCCT Linpack or Prime95 will really only stress the CPU and RAM.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/testing-my-new-machine.196315/
Relevancy 52.03%

Before I carry on I need to know one thing Does the Cosmos support ATX motherboards The reason I ask is because there is conflicting information provided by the cooler-master website and reviews online The website http www coolermaster co uk product php product id The Review pause the video when he shows the specs on the side of the box Will all of this hardware work together nicely Motherboard Sabertooth FX Gen R http www amazon co uk Sabertooth- amp sr - amp keywords SABERTOOTH FX GEN R PC Case Cooler Master Cosmos http www amazon co uk Cooler-Mast keywords coolermaster cosmos productDetails CPU AMD FX http www amazon co uk AMD-FX - F amp qid amp sr - amp keywords amd fx GPU Sapphire HD http www amazon co uk Sapphire- amp qid amp sr - amp keywords Sapphire PSU Corsair HX Gold http www amazon co uk Corsair-HX amp sr - amp keywords Corsair HX productDetails Feel free to suggest ram but I have gigs of ddr that only costed me And it is Crucial I might buy new stuff but I don t know yet I plan to buy lots of water cooling and radiators eventually once new Building a Compatibility - machine I got the basics set up nbsp

A:Building a new machine - Compatibility

Yes it does. It supports MicroATX through SSI EEB.

Good build. I recommend you wait till September 25th for the GPUs since AMD is set to unveil something new. Or if you want, just get the 7970 and wait for the new GPUs to release. Just remember, dont waste your money on watercooling if you have just 1 GPU.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-a-new-machine-compatibility.195402/
Relevancy 19.35%

This could sound confusing but please bare with me So I had a TB HD Sata with win I took it out and used a new SSD which I put Win on Then I hooked up a TB HD Sata as Storage Simple so far right Well now I want to get my documents Bookmarks etc off the quot OLD quot drive I figured simple like with IDE HD s but no When I hook it up as the only drive I get this message EFI Shell Version Current get do How main off Hard Data My Drive? I "former" running mode Map Cannot find required map name Press Esc in seconds to skip startup nsh any other key to continue shell id gt When I hook it up as the second How do I get Data off My "former" main Hard Drive? drive After the SSD the drive doesn t show up I tried to put it in another PC by itself but it said something like it wasn t the disk for that PC Someone please tell me there is an easy way around this I googled a bunch of stuff and tried a few things with no luck I m hoping I m just frustrated and missing the obvious Thanks for any help nbsp

A:How do I get Data off My "former" main Hard Drive?

How about unplugging ssd plug old drive back in then transfer stuff to ur 2tb once done unplug old and replug ssd ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-get-data-off-my-former-main-hard-drive.194502/
Relevancy 22.36%

I was curious if anyone who has Spotify Premium and uses it regularly on their smartphone could tell me approximately how much their monthly data usage is. I was planning on getting 4GB and was curious if this would be enough with using Spotify.

Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-usage-with-spotify-premium.195235/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have an old laptop HDD (I think it's out of a Dell Latitudes laptop) and I need to access data off of it. I have an SATA/IDE to USB adaptor that I've used successfully several times in this type of situation. However, this particular drive won't respond when I hook it up. It just doesn't spin. I took it to a computer shop to see if they could help me, but they weren't able to get it going.
My thinking is, if I was a bad guy and the F.B.I. confiscated this drive, how would they get info off of it? There must be a way. Any thoughts?

A:Data Extraction

Buy the exact same drive on ebay. If the drive isn't spinning up it is a board issue (or a HORRIBLE spinny failure). So, get the exact same drive from ebay or somewhere else, and swap out the PCB. Problem solved.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-extraction.194776/
Relevancy 26.23%

Have a new Netgear wireless router and can connect to it, but can only get local access only, no internet.
Tried a few things with no luck so far.
The one thing that did work was eliminating the wireless security, but dont want to leave it that way.
Seems like this is a common problem with Vista.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

A:Local Access Only With Wireless Using Windows Vista

Go to the Device Mgr, expand Network Adapters and look for yellow or red flags. It's most likely that the driver is missing or needs to be updated.

If there's any driver at all, then the led lights near the ethernet cable will be on.

Uninstall the existing driver (but do not delete it) and reboot.
The system should find the device and use the autoconfig feature to install the
correct one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-access-only-with-wireless-using-windows-vista.194148/
Relevancy 22.36%

I have lost my important and personal data on my SD card. As I tried to connect it to my Mac, it was asked to format, and I pressed it. So, now, all the data is lost. But, I know the lost data after formatting is not actually erased. It is still there and becomes inaccessible. Therefore, could you help me get it back? Any idea could be appreciated. Thank you!

A:How to get back data from a formatted SD card on Mac?

Hmm as far as my knowledge goes, you cannot, I think mostly every website that offers to 'recover' any type of format is a virus in waiting, as for software goes you may wish for someone with more knowledge, the only safe way I can think of is expensive.

Data recovery is not always 100% so take into account you may pay and not get anything in return,
http://stellardatarecovery.co.uk/ Unsure they do SD or not, but it's more likely best to find one yourself so I cannot be held liable!

Hope this helped!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-get-back-data-from-a-formatted-sd-card-on-mac.193375/
Relevancy 21.93%

Objects available : Laptop with windows vista(32 Bit Home Basic SP 2)
: iPAD
: Tata Docomo internet data card

PROBLEM : I connect to internet via data card on my laptop. I want to share this internet connection on my iPAD which I am not able to do.

After connection to internet via data card on laptop, I created a wireless ad hoc connection. Which creating ad hoc connection I do not get the option of " SHARE INTERNET".
On iPAD this network is detected and the iPAD connects to this network.
On Laptop it is then shown this way :-

MY LAPTOP -------------------- MULTIPLE NETWORKS ----------------- INTERNET

But still the internet on iPAD doesnt get activated.

Plz help. ...

A:Access data card internet on laptop through wifi

GOT THE SOLUTION.!!!
After extensive search on the internet, I got 1 solution. Unchecking the option "ALLOW SHARE OF CONNECTION" in properties of the data card internet. Then setting up of an ad hoc connection, will get the option "SHARE INTERNET CONNECTION".

Thank You

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-data-card-internet-on-laptop-through-wifi.193231/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi all just need a little help from you smarter people.

I have lots of devices on my wireless all work fine until this Hp notebook starts it seems to kick everything else off the network. So now called the death machine by all the family. Is this just a setting on the notebook that causes this? It happens on all networks that it joins to and stops as soon as the computer goes back into sleep.

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks Oli

A:Notebook network issue (death machine)

Likely you have an IP address conflict - - two machines with the same address.
This will cause problems with everything attached to that same router (wifi or wired).

Make sure ALL devices do not use manual settings but rather use automatic DHCP for both IP and DNS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/notebook-network-issue-death-machine.193051/
Relevancy 19.35%

I have a WD External SATA 1TB Hard Drive that has ~700 GB of family memories/movies/documents/etc and it is now connected to Windows 8.

The original housing it came in was unsurprisingly cheap and the connection piece broke. I re soldered it on and the connection was made but the drive threw nothing but errors. I figured I messed it up so bought an external case and assembled it. Now however, the drive does not show up under my computer but does in Disk Management.

Disk Management claims that the HD has the full TB unallocated and not initialized. I don't want to initialize it because I don't want to lose the information I have on it. Any idea on how to get this working?

I have downloaded and used the Data Lifeguard available at WD and the External has passed the Quick Test so drivers are all there and working.

Thanks

A:WD External Drive "not initialized" but has data on it?

Umm, I would try first connecting it back to whatever PC version you were using before (Assuming Windows 7) and seeing whats up.

If that does not work, try messing with the connection that you re-soldered and making sure its all done fully correctly, something may have gotten crossed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-external-drive-not-initialized-but-has-data-on-it.193090/
Relevancy 22.79%

Up until days ago my laptop was working fine Then all of a sudden while transferring files to external hard drive it just froze and that was pretty much the end of it It got to the point where this would keep happening and I know help recovery Need data with it s not good but I ended up just forcing the computer to shut down by pressing the power Need help with data recovery button then the computer wouldn t even boot up I ended up just buying a new laptop btw the external hard drive from my old laptop works fine I bought a hard drive enclosure for the old hard drive from my old laptop to recover some data the hard drive shows up as LOCAL DISK on the new computer but it freezes up when I try to access it everything else on the new computer working fine and can t even eject it Whenever I try to do something with the old hard drive it just takes a long time or there s no response or it freezes It even prevents my new computer from booting up or shutting down Is it hopeless to retrieve some data from this drive or is it a lost cause Really appreciate any help Thanks nbsp

A:Need help with data recovery

The drive may have some sort of malware on it. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and run a custom scan on the drive. If it comes up clear, it may have errors. We will proceed from there after you have completed the scan. Best of luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-data-recovery.191310/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello Today my WD Raptor decided to die all of a sudden while using my computer it just froze up blue screen on me and reboot then keeps looping I do regular backups so I have quot most quot of my data on my external drives but this happened so suddenly that I have some recent excel files and pictures that are not on my last backup and I would really like to recover those files I run DFT and result was some sector logical failure I remove the drive installed on another computer and I can see the drive but every time I double click on it I got the message quot You need to format the disk in drive D before you can use died, data Raptor need recovery WD it quot and sometimes when I click on the drive I got quot D is not accessible Data error cyclic redundancy check quot Disk management sees the drive as quot Active Primary Partition quot but still can t open it from there I haven t format it yet but I wonder if there is a way to access it somehow to retrieve the data or the only way is WD Raptor died, need data recovery to format it to access it and then use some software to recover the files Suggestions opinions what do you guys think what options do I have Thanks in advance for all the input nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-raptor-died-need-data-recovery.191410/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi I have a TOSHIBA GB I had much important project data on it and I did the most terrible mistake of my life not to back it up when all my other HDD datas are double if not triple backedup stick data recovery Memory It was working fine till late night till in the morning when I plugged it on my computer it told me it Memory stick data recovery sholud be formatted first The drive letter doesn t show up on My computer nor in My devices I tried using the EaseUS Data Recovery sample version but it too cant detect the drive I went through the flash drive data recovery procedure in this forum but I do not understand that if I format the drive the data will be gone Again I do not have a backup to copy it again I dont want to recover using the drive but just the data Please please please help someone if such a thing is possible Its almost months of my hard work An update Now its appearing as Removable disk on my computer and if I click on it its saying insert disk into drive F If I try exploring it the format option is appearing Please please help I need the data nbsp

Relevancy 22.36%

Greetings guys, hope you are doing fine.

I'm using ExpatShield to play SCII ( long story ). Anyway, I tried today to download an arcade map from within SC ( 3 MB ) but it was extremly slow. I alt-tab and opened Resource Monitor and here is what I found >> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/expatbug.jpg/
As you can see ExpatShield is downloading at near 70 KB/sec but is not passing data to the original application ( SC in this case ). It actually downloaded more than 70 MB and the map was still at 2%. Moreover, when I exited SCII, Expat kept downloading.
It usually works fine except for this case.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/expatshield-not-passing-data-to-application.190865/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi;
I've got a home network with two wireless access points (routers with WiFi). One router is the main unit for Verizon FIOS. this is the DHCP server. The other router is upstairs, and performs only to allow an iPod or Kindle to be connected upstairs (have trouble getting a good signal from the main router downstairs). This router has no WAN connection, so is really just a switch with WiFi.

So, I'm starting to get security conscious, and wondering exactly what data on the network is getting out on the WiFi.
Does everything going through the router with the WiFi go out on the radio, or is only data being sent to/from connected WiFi devices available over the air?

Thanks for your help

FW

A:What data goes out on Wi-Fi?

Without any devices connected, the only thing "going out" is a base signal (ie the rf channel) and the SSID.

When a connection is made, the data traversing the WiFi is dependent upon what specific services are being used by the connected device; eg for a device with a browser, that would include the HTTP request and the subsequent reply.

For security, we activate one of the encryption protocols so that someone nearby with RF tools may see the signals but not be able to 'read' them - - just like SSL protects a browser session.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-data-goes-out-on-wi-fi.190636/
Relevancy 22.79%

First post and here is the story I have an old broken XP laptop A friend loaned me his IDE SATA to USB cable so I could get some files off the hard drive I proceeded from computer another one Unable data to get to to connect and download what I wanted o my Acer windows computer I put everything into a folder I can open that folder and read the Docs and Unable to get data from one computer to another look at the pictures no problem I copied the info to an external HDD I tried to download it to my wife s laptop but it is not there I tried to load the same info on to a Cruzer Flash drive and transfer it the same way The folder is empty is what I get when I click on the flash drive letter If I put it back into my computer I can read it If I click properties of the drive it shows the space being used I also tried to put the info onto a laptop at work same thing If I add an unrelated file onto the flash drive it works normally These files are possessed Help I guess you can t edit the title nbsp

A:Unable to get data from one computer to another

It could be because you could have "hide hidden files/folders" checked. Just a guess, good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-get-data-from-one-computer-to-another.190609/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have two Western Digital Tb HD making data Problem copy connection to adhoc HD s which I use for archiving and are carbon copies of Problem making adhoc HD connection to copy data each other and my third installed OS HD They are both external to my computer in fact one came as part of a WD My Book Previously I had my Asus P Q Deluxe fitted and I could just plug the two HD s into the PSU with a spare power cable and connect them to the mobo with a couple of Sata cables and copy any data from the main installed HD or replicate data between them No problem However due to RAM issues I have swapped the mobo out for my Asus P W DH Deluxe I just assumed I could go ahead with my adhoc method of plug and play HD connectivity but after shutting down my desktop wiring in just one archive HD and powering up the computer went a Problem making adhoc HD connection to copy data bit funny All the icons had shifted over to my TV display next to my desktop while my monitor s desktop pic got squashed vertically with vertical letterbox lines left and right pretty much as though I had been messing with the AMD Problem making adhoc HD connection to copy data Catalyst Control Centre Any ideas why plugging in an HD or two into the spare Sata EZ Raid sockets would cause this Why didn t it behave like P Q e g plug amp play style or as if I had simply plugged in the HD via the USB One thing I forgot to check was if the HD showed up in My Computer while the icons and what not were on the TV screen Tom nbsp

A:Problem making adhoc HD connection to copy data

Nevermind. I plugged the two archive HD's into the mobo today and all is fine and copying perfectly.

Tom.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-making-adhoc-hd-connection-to-copy-data.190199/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi there I am new to this forum though I have went through a couple of threads regarding VPN but I can t seem to find my answer through printing VPN Local I work in an IT department and have to users which are not on the business domain To make use of a program hosted on our server they connect via VPN to out network and then join a remote desktop Both of them make use of a network printer Now one of them has a PC with Win and the other one with XP When they connect to the VPN though only the user on the Win PC is allowed to print the other user Local printing through VPN s job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints Both user Local printing through VPN s VPN permissions are the same as I asked the network admin and the printer settings should be the same on both PCs as I checked them Help would be greatly appreciated as I have been working on this for a very long time with no avail Thanks nbsp

A:Local printing through VPN

the other user's job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints.Click to expand...

Wow, is that strange or what (but that's why your here too I guess). The fact that it is queued says the data path from the user->system->print queue is just fine - - and that says permissions are ok. I suspect that the users program is not closing the output file. Have the user try a simple test using NOTEPAD printing to the remote printer.

Next I would look for software updates to the XP VPN software and then to XP print driver for that device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-printing-through-vpn.189640/
Relevancy 21.93%

My computer running Windows Ultimate -bit can no longer access my Western Digital Caviar quot Black quot TB hard drive that s connected but I suspect my data to still be in there so I wonder what data recorvery tools people have used and recommend This is one of the additional drives to my operating system C drive It has been formatted as NTFS and been working fine for several months until with recommendations Data format, from drive please lost recovery software a week ago Now it appears as the E drive on Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please My Computer as originally configured but the volume label is now blank I used to have that named as quot Media quot When I double-click on it to Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please enter the drive I get the Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please error message quot E is not accessible The parameter is incorrect quot In Computer Management -- gt Storage -- gt Disk Management the drive appears but it s File System is now indicated as RAW rather than NTFS I have tried using Active Partition Recovery and that successfully lists my drive with the original label name quot Media quot and as NTFS and also lists the folders located at the root of the drive which is why I suspect my data to still be in there and recoverable However when I use this tool to do a full scan of my disk it freezes after scanning MB There are tools out there with varying reliability so whch ones do people here recommend another tool I trired I forget its name was scanning my disk but prediced days to go over the entire TB so that s out of the question I have been told to use a tool that can recover files onto a separate disk rather then try to repair the original disk and risk losing more of the original data Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please

Oh crap. Something like this happened recently to me when I had backed up some data to an USB thumb drive. It worked fine for awhile, then some weeks later, my PC just couldn't read it anymore (kept saying "disk in drive needs to be reformatted/etc"...and the properties for the drive also showed it as RAW format instead of FAT32 like it would have been usually).

I think the issue is drive corruption, which seems to be fairly common with external devices like USB drives, but odd in the case of an internal drive. The remedy for me was to try to access it from a different system, which was easy since being a USB stick I could try it elsewhere easily. If you can use another system to access the drive, preferably a Linux/Ubuntu based one; it is likely your best bet to recoup the data before its lost permanently. An external HDD kit would be ideal, and they are quite cheap also.

Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-from-drive-with-lost-format-software-recommendations-please.187901/
Relevancy 50.31%

I am trying to figure out what s wrong with an older machine -- distortion on issue? Flash Audio older machine I put together for my dad It has a ghz Athlon XP processor GB RAM Audio distortion on older machine -- Flash issue? and a sound blaster Live -bit PCI sound card Very unimpressive machine by today s standards but he basically only needs it for web surfing and audio He likes to use YouTube as a source to learn new music etc The problem I am having is whenever audio is streamed in the browser which as of right now is Chrome the flash playback is very distorted or garbled I noticed that CPU usage is very high and I ve disabled hardware acceleration which didn t seem to help When audio files are played from the system however be it mp or wav the audio is completely fine so I m not sure what the problem is The computer is definitely somewhat of a relic but it should be able to stream audio video just fine I would think I am going to try a different newer power supply and maybe try to find more RAM for it but right now I can t figure out why the flash audio is messed up nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/audio-distortion-on-older-machine-flash-issue.188162/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi everyone I am having trouble interconnecting Virtual machines virtual interconnection VMware machine vm s in my vmware wokstation I have set all of them to LAN segment prior to that they were all connected VMware virtual machine interconnection to a custom vmnet I want to construct a private lan inside vmware I have already assigned a static ip for each didn t assign any default gateway since I VMware virtual machine interconnection want to make it a private lan where I can configure DC DNS etc Well the problem undermining the circumstances arises out of the fact that pinging to another vm is unsuccessful for any of the vm Beside that there is no option for creating a team in vmware Could anyone specify me where I went wrong is a team necessary for a private lan if so which version would you suggest else a detailed documentation of a step by step procedure will be much appreciated I need to hook it up asap if anyone would kindly take his her time in explaining to me my cons and help me set it up it would be much appreciated nbsp

A:VMware virtual machine interconnection

Perhaps this is what you're looking for

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vmware-virtual-machine-interconnection.187675/
Relevancy 22.79%

Okay A data? Can I my recover few months ago I had a major shut down on my previous Laptop it turned to mush it slowly got worse Can I recover my data? and worse and the monitor went blue screened about times an hour and was just overused in fairness I got it second hand and it was already years old but they had it fixed up before giving it to me new pieces inside the computer extra ram and settings etc etc Anyway I ve given up on getting it fixed at this point in time I Can I recover my data? do have a couple things on there saved to the Desktop and other Folders such as Pictures n Such and other things I needed for work I managed to remake most of it and then silly me only had them on a USB I d been using about a month and it stopped working plug it into the computer and Nada the Charger Port is even gone and I can t get it turned on for a minute if I move the laptop even an inch the screen shows sections of rectangles all along it in funky colors until it just comes up black dark black as if the computer s off So here s my question finally is there a way for me to get my files from that computer and hook it up to my new one as like a storage device so I can get my stuff off of it and hopefully not any viruses lt lt quot Oh and as a side question Is there any way to get my files off my USB that just stopped working as I lost about of my work Again I don t need it urgently or anything it would just be nice to have it all back nbsp

A:Can I recover my data?

If a USB stick stops working, it's pretty much bye-bye. There are of course some things you can do, but I'm not going to bother explaining them as I don't believe it will help you.

As for your laptop hard drive: the question is, is it SATA? This is the power/data connectors on the harddrive.

It could be as simple as pulling out the HDD, and plugging it into another desktop computer. Or, into a USB HDD dock.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-recover-my-data.186663/
Relevancy 61.92%

My iOmega TB External hard drive stopped working after it was accidentally unplugged I googled the problem amp found the exact thread here for my problem When plugged in instead of being identified by it s name as before it s listed as Local disc F First I tried disabling write caching to no avail so I followed HDD disk shows as it local & F cannot be accessed External the instructions I found here to External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed the same problem started by fish in Aug Mark replied several times giving good instructions which I have followed but my problem isn t solved I downloaded Sea Tools for Windows amp ran both Short amp Long tests which both failed The hard drive when dismantled is a Seagate Barracuda TB amp my PC is Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pk The HDD has much loved photo s of my kids amp tons of video amp music too is there any way to retrieve it now or is it a hopeless case Any help would be very much appreciated I think maybe if possible to get any data now I would have to take it to proffessionals but don t want to get ripped off if the drive is totally broken Thanx so much if u can help all nbsp

A:External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed

You could try going into disk management and deleting F: drive, while the External HDD is unplugged, then try reconnecting - OS might have just assigned the drive incorrectly?
Also strongly recommend updating to SP2 if possible (probably not connected to this issue though).
Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-shows-as-local-disk-f-it-cannot-be-accessed.186348/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with only 2 slots (2 256mb sticks). It has Windows XP on it.
How much ram will it recognize?

A:What is the max RAM I can put in this machine?

You can install a maximum of 2 gb of RAM onto your machine, according to the Dell website.

Here, take a look at this page. Your system may allocate a small amount of memory for your graphics. I suggest you read this, as well, if you intend to install the modules yourself.

Hope that helps a little.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-is-the-max-ram-i-can-put-in-this-machine.185411/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have a Crucial 128GB SSD as my OS/Program drive, and a 750GB WD Black drive which contains all my music/movies/photos etc. My issue is that it goes offline or into like a stand-by mode after a certain period of time. So lets say I go to open itunes, it will take 8-10 seconds for it to access the drive and load up the program with my music. It's definitely going into some stand-by type mode, because I can hear when it goes into it, and when it comes out of it when I open a program or file that happens to be on the HDD. So I wanted to know if there is a way to disable that so my access is instant. Any info appreciated, thank you.

A:Data drive question

Could it be the "Turn off hard disk after" setting in the Power Options?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-drive-question.185262/
Relevancy 22.36%

I have two Seagate 7200 hard drives than are no longer recognized by the desktop or by my laptop via a usb/EDI/SATA adapter. These were my backup drives and have all my photos, itunes, and doc files. Rather than speed $1,000 to have the files extracted by a recovery firm I wondered if its possible to remove the storage media from one drive and install it in a new drive box. Say buy a $60 internal drive open it up and remove the disks, take the disks out of the non-working drive and install it in the new internal drive. Is that even possible? Would the circuitry on the new drive even recognize the replacement disks? Would the drives need to be the same GB? Inquiring minds want to know!

A:Can I rebuild a hard drive to recover data

I've heard of people buying the exact same drive (needs to be exact so the PCB is the same) and then swapping those out. I've never heard of people removing the platters and putting in a new drive - I think that would be highly risky if not impossible. Try to find a working drive with the same PCB on ebay, then swap the boards.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-rebuild-a-hard-drive-to-recover-data.184927/
Relevancy 22.36%

I have Windows XP SP that would not boot to the desktop on a Normal boot The system has SATA HDD amp SATA DVD-RW partition HDD XP -- Windows lost data problem on Red SATA ports on the Motherboard amp Black SATA port on the mother board I apologize but sadly I do NOT remember if the DVD drive or one of the HDD was in the Black SATA port I m not REALLY sure I Windows XP HDD partition problem -- data lost understand the difference but The system would boot up almost to the desktop so I was able to boot up in Safe Mode Once I could get to the desktop I looked at the System log in Event Viewer amp it showed that the controller was reporting drive errors on Hard Drive NOT the boot drive It was happening so much that it was virtually filling the Event Viewer amp making it Windows XP HDD partition problem -- data lost hard to see anything else in there amp kept the system from being able to boot to the desktop It never made it to where it said Windows was loading my personal settings I have never seen a NON-boot drive keep an XP system from being able to boot up Once I made it to where I could see the Event Viewer messages I shut the system down amp disconnected the quot bad quot drive amp restarted the system It then booted up fine but when I looked at the event Viewer is STILL showed Hard Drive errors I thought that it might be a bad cable so I shut the system down again amp connected the SATA cable that was connect to Hard Drive amp moved exchanged it with the one on Hard Drive amp booted the system I looked in the Event Viewer amp it was STILL showing Hard Drive errors so I opened quot Disk Management quot amp it thought the hard drive that I took out was still in the system At this point it was actually in another room Disk Management showed hard drive errors so I right clicked on the drive that wasn t even IN the system amp chose quot Delete Partition quot amp that made the drive errors stop Remember THAT hard drive was NOT in the system at the time I rebooted the system amp looked in Drive Management amp it reported quot Drive Missing quot When I looked in Event Viewer it STILL had Hard Drive errors NOW I suspect that this is REALLY a power issue amp NOT a hard drive or controller problem My power supply has leads Has SATA type amp IDE type type power connector Has SATA type Connectors Has IDE type amp Floppy type power connector I shut the system down again put the quot bad quot drive in the system disconnected all of the SATA cables amp power cables Plugged the HDD in the Red SATA ports left the DVD uplugged moved the power cables Of course I figured that since there where SATA power connectors on one lead it would be OK to plug in hard drives Keep in mind that this system has been running this way for years with showing this problem although now that I think about it the boot drive has failed times BUT they were all Seagate GB drives amp I have had those fail in several other systems FAR more often than the Hitatchi or Samsung However the WD drives have failed just as often as the Seagate Since I now suspected that this was a power problem I decided to plug in only of the HDD in the SATA power lead amp plugged the remaining HDD in the SATA power lead that the DVD was using amp I left the DVD disconnected I booted the system NOW my question Problem The drive that I took out of the system thinking it was bad now has NO partition When I deleted the partition on the HDD even though it was NOT in the system at the time that partitions are gone I have not done anything else to the drive since I found this problem so does ANYONE have ANY idea what I might be able to do to bring the partitions amp my TB of data back In UNIX there are format commands commands that can bring back files because they re not REALLY gone the allocation table is just not looking in the right place or something I realize this was a L-O-N-G amp Boring story but I had to go through the whole thing to explain the problem amp hopefully get a solution Thank you ... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-hdd-partition-problem-data-lost.183526/
Relevancy 22.79%

Does anyone have an opinion on a free, good, and easy to use web site for storage and back up of all my home PC files online?

A:Online data storage?

http://mozy.com/
or
http://www.carbonite.com/en/

Carbonite is better in my opinion, especially for small business backup. Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/online-data-storage.179378/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi all I am looking to build a new system mainly to play D but also for image editing help machine Gaming and longevity quot future-proof quot hoping to have it running for - yrs as my main system with only minor upgrades Have a maximum budget of CAD including any shipping amp taxes minus any instant Gaming machine help rebates mail in rebates don t count as some times they don t come through I am open to online shopping as well if it s a cheaper price for the same item including shipping amp tax Some things to keep in mind Want to have a SSD for the OS apps games etc I already have a TB WD Green RPM SATA drive to store data No monitor required What I ve gathered so far as some options however am open to your suggestions around the full build Case Thermaltake Chaser MK-I ATX Full Tower Black USB VN M W N - Canada Computers CPU Intel Core i - Quad-Core Socket Ghz MB L Cache nm Retail Boxed Gen BX I BX I - Tigerdirect ca GPU Asus HD -DC - GD AMD Chipset Mhz GB MHz GDDR Dual DVI Dual Mini DisplayPort HDMI PCI-Express Graphics Card - PSU Corsair Enthusiast Series TX V W PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply CMPSU- TXV - Canada Computers Optical Drive LG CH LS X Blu-Ray Reader amp Lightscribe DVD Writer Combo Drive - - NCIX Any help is much appreciated Want to try to have this new system up and running ASAP Thanks nbsp

A:Gaming machine help

If you're only looking to play D3 a 7850 will be overkill, even a GTX 460 will get you 60fps at 1920x1080. If you're also playing more demanding games then it's a decent choice. When it comes to GPUs forget about future proofing, graphics cards depreciate very quickly and if you're only playing D3 now then grab a GTX 460/560 and upgrade when you need more power.

The rest of your build looks good but you've left out the mobo and the RAM. For the SSD get either the Crucial m4 or Samsung 830 drives.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gaming-machine-help.181180/
Relevancy 27.09%

So I just set up FreeNAS on my LAN. I have a Linksys router.... I believe everything is 10/100 but for some reason its transfering at about 8.61MB/s.

Now before I start posting all my equipment specs, would anyone know right off the bat what my bottleneck is, or give me a clue how to figure this out? I'm apparently not thinking properly enough to figure this out at the moment.

BTW, everything plugged in... so I'm not transfering wirelessly.

A:What's my local NAS bottleneck?

You're transferring at almost 70 mbit - your network is probably your bottleneck. Are you sure there is no additional activity on your network? You should be able to reach between 80-90 if nothing else is going on and the rest of the environment is lean. If everything is working absolutely great I would say you can even reach mid to upper 90's. See if the system sending files has plenty of CPU cycles available by opening your task manager. Also, are you transferring lots of small files or one big file? Larger files will transfer faster than a bunch of tiny ones. At most you can expect a file transfer speed of about 12 MB/sec on a 100 mbit network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whats-my-local-nas-bottleneck.180760/
Relevancy 52.03%

When sitting idol for an evening, this 5 year old Gateway PC simply clicks off, just like we had a power outage. It's happened 3 times. Power outage isn't the problem however as a professional UPS is in use. On the reboot, the DOS commands pop up offering alternatives for rebooting since the shutdown was forced. My question is: Can this be an early sign of the mother board going out and if so, is there a test to perform? Other than the problem as stated, nothing else out of the ordinary has happened. Suggestions? I have attached a full description of my PC.

A:Machine turns itself off -- is the motherboard going bad?

Sounds like the PSU is starting to go.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/machine-turns-itself-off-is-the-motherboard-going-bad.177331/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello,

I just want a *bare minimum* setup for playing crysis type of games. I am on a tight budget

For video card I have chosen 8800 GT

For processor and motherboard since I'm on a tight budget what should I go for ?

Should I go for i5 ? or is there an AMD equivalent at a lower price ?

Would 4GB ram be enough or should I go for 8GB ram ?

Any normal Motherboard should be ok isn't it ?

I'm planning to buy windows 7 home basic edition only. I assume 32bit would be fine ?

Please advise me.

Thanking in anticipation

Shanthi

A:I'm planning to build a bare minimum gaming machine

If you're just going to be playing games, something like the i3 2100 will do and 4GB RAM will be enough. And as it's a bare minimum steup, a cheap Asrock/MSI/Gigabyte board should be OK, but don't go dirt cheap on the motherboard though.

Definitely get the 64 bit OS, especially as they're the same price.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/im-planning-to-build-a-bare-minimum-gaming-machine.176177/
Relevancy 21.93%

Having dredged the internet, I came across this forum amongst the many with questions relating to cd drives working but dvd not etc, but my issue is slightly different, i think.

CDs seem to play ok, and so do DVDs, but I seem to have a problem with my laptop reading a disc with DS games on it that it used to read no problem. The discs can be used in my other half's laptop, so it is clearly a problem with my laptop.

I'd appreciate if anyone could advise where I can start to solve this problem

A:Music and video play on laptop CD/DVD drive but not data files

You need to have the CD/DVD drive replaced. Internal lasers fail in strange ways. The drives are not too expensive and they are easy to replace

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/music-and-video-play-on-laptop-cd-dvd-drive-but-not-data-files.175583/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey I ve got a Dual Xeon Dell Precision T Workstation running Windows x that I use for graphic design and some music production I have up until last week used a M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio Interface for recording as well as my primary sound card I decided to get rid of the Fast Track and upgrade to an M-Audio Audiophile PCI sound card Here is my issue- With the Fast Track USB Interface I have always network local when performing only PC downloads Static in sound, had a noticeable Static in PC sound, only when performing local network downloads static popping sound when any audio is playing while I am transferring files on my local network- but I have isolated it specifically to copying files from anywhere on my local network to this PC- so only downloading to this computer I didn t pay much attention to it as I thought that was the price that was to be payed because of using a USB sound card After I installed the Audiophile I am still getting this popping sound on network downloads Just to test I pulled out the Audiophile enabled the on-board sound card and the popping was still there with the on-board sound card Any idea what could be causing this My network adapter is the Broadcom on-board Gigabit LAN card The only other PCI or PCI-e cards I have installed are the Nvidia Quadro Video Adapter and a SIIG USB PCI Card I have taken this out and the popping is still there All of PCI bus components were different when I started hearing the popping from the Fast Track Pro so I don t suspect that any of those items would be the culprit When the popping first started nothing was even in the PCI PCI-e bus except for my old Quadro video card which I took out months ago and swapped for the Quadro I guess what I m trying to say is that most of the components have been removed or swapped and the sound continues I have the onboard sound card disabled normally so I know that also isn t causing it To describe the popping static it doesn t make the noise until I m downloading something and there is a system noise playing or I have some other audio going YouTube Video MP played locally whatever So if I was to download a file locally and not play any sounds then you would never know that anything was happening The speakers I m using are KRK Rokit Active Studio Monitors so even if there was any background static I would hear it These monitors are connected to the computer via a Balanced TRS input so I don t even have any normal line quot hum quot at high volumes- so that is how I can tell there is absolutely no static or popping until the PC plays it s own audio Also- I ve tried reproducing the problem by playing audio and downloading a file from the internet It won t produce the popping sound at all Here is my system info Dell Precision T Workstation Windows x Ultimate Service Pack Intel Xeon CPU E GHz amp GHz Processors Intel x Motherboard Intel ICH R Family Controllers I O Hub PCI Express Root Storage GB RAM Nvidia Quadro M-Audio Delta Audiophile Broadcom NetXtreme xx Gigabit Controller That s everything I have hooked up right now- anymore questions and I ll be glad to post what I know I m hoping that this is something common that I just couldn t find in my searches on google Any help advice you could offer I would appreciate it One last thing- I uninstalled and updated all of my system drivers days ago to see if that would stop the problem It didn t change anything Thanks -Ben nbsp

A:Static in PC sound, only when performing local network downloads

Did you uninstall your old sound drivers? Are you using ASIO drivers? Im assuming the M-Audio card already has ASIO built-in? Do you get the pop/static when using the onboard sound? You should stick to XP for music production. Even a dual boot WIN 7/XP setup. Im into music production as well and all of my problems stopped when I ran everything on XP. You can try using virtual XP on Win 7 and see if it helps anything. What DAW are you using?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/static-in-pc-sound-only-when-performing-local-network-downloads.175964/
Relevancy 26.66%

I just upgraded to Win7. In this PC I have 2 HDD, one C drive which works fin, and one additional HDD which I'm able to see in BIOS and Device Manager, but it do not show up in Explorer.
How to get it visible?
Thanks

A:Can't find local installed HDD

Right click my computer > manage, click disk management take a screenshot, post here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-find-local-installed-hdd.176151/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hello Everyone,
A few month's ago my old laptop gave up the ghost and so I asked the local computer geek to take out the hard drive and memory sticks. I thought that was how to save all my "stuff", and he tech did not say otherwise, so I hope I did the right thing?
Anyway, while I wait until I can afford to get a new laptop.......here is my question:...Can I go to a computer store and have all that data put on a CD? Then when I get my laptop I can just transfer the data?
Thank you.t

A:How do I save data from old laptop?

Yes. But it will be cheaper to do it yourself with one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supports-2-5-Inch-5-25-Inch/dp/B000J01I1G/ref=pd_cp_e_1
http://www.amazon.com/IDE-SATA-USB-Cable-Adapter/dp/B000YJBL78

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-save-data-from-old-laptop.175873/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey guys My internet provider has just recently been switched to Time Warner Cable They came by and hooked everything up to my desktop and my internet worked for that day The next day I had to call technical support and road runner services because my computer says I m connected but I m not sending nor receiving area Missing network connection and local controller any packets Road Runner took me through Device Manager where I noticed a big yellow question mark near Other Devices Network Controller Also after going through my Network Connections there s no Local Area Connection listed The techs responded that they couldn t help me unless I fixed my computer software I have already tried going through Computer Management and checking Plug And Play Services amp RPC Missing network controller and local area connection Services Any other suggestions are much appreciated I m currently working off of my laptop because I can t get online with my desktop Any requested information would just Missing network controller and local area connection be done by my usb flash Missing network controller and local area connection drive Thank you so much for your time nbsp

A:Missing network controller and local area connection

Open device manager. Uninstall those device with ? on them. Reinstall drivers for your network adapter.

What devices are listed under network adapter?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-network-controller-and-local-area-connection.174762/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi all,

I've got a friend whose wife is ready to kill. The CD of wedding photo's is currently in three pieces and not backed up. Any leads where he can get at least some of the data recovered? At this point in time he's almost "money no object"...

...any leads would be appreciated,
Many thanks,

A:Broken CD - data recovery - any chance?

I've never looked into this before. I'd imagine there isn't much that can be done. CDs and DVDs have a short life in data storage terms and really should not be relied on as a permanent storage media for important data. There seem to be a few companies out there that offer data recovery from damaged CDs, but this is usually from scratched rather than broken into pieces disks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-cd-data-recovery-any-chance.172952/
Relevancy 51.17%

I am building a new rig. These are all the parts I'm going to need, except an SSD, which I'm still searching for.
What do you think of this:

There is some finnish text, but don't mind, you'll get the point

Please recommend, comment and improve the setup! Don't wanna go wrong, now do I?

Thanks guys!

Relevancy 52.46%

Hi guys I am almost New machine! slow percent positive there was a better section for this post however i didn t wanna get flamed for actually posting in New slow machine! the WRONG section so i just posted it here Maybe yall can help me out I recently sold a parts car i had and got a sum of money along with what i was told was a gaming rig Now i ve looked up the parts which i detailed below and they are far from top spec lol thing is i m still new to the hardware side and am not sure what these parts SHOULD actually be capable of the guy keeps saying that the machine should be pretty fast and that i must be missing some drivers I tried installing ATI catalyst to fix some graphics problems i ve been having where my computer simply will not load certain games like black prophecy online That didn t seem to do much So maybe one of you who is more techy than me can help me out Here is what the software i use says is in my pc lol Motherboard TA XE Video Card ATI Radeon X driver date - - MB RAM g DDR CPU AMD Athelon II X MHz Dual-Core x Also I should mention that when i got it i installed a custom version of windows os I use the eternity edition installer So even though my computer says i have all my drivers it is entirely possible i missed something As for a little more detail about what the problem actually is it s just very slow Usually it s slowest when actually opening up an application Once it s running everything seems fine usually My guess and yall can tell me if i m wrong is that I need more RAM nbsp

A:New slow machine!

It probably was a gaming machine a few years ago, but its not going to be playing current games well. Still should be more than adequate for everything else though.

You are on the right track with more RAM. I'd try to get that to at least 4 (you won't be able to use all 4 with a 32bit Win 7 though), be careful about going higher than 4 - will need to check if your motherboard supports more than 4.

I debated about removing the eternity edition portion of your post, but I've decided to let it stay. We won't help much/at all with "pirated" versions of Windows. Maybe you have a legit key and used it with that customized version Anyway, just in the sense of 'piece of mind' I would recommend using a legit install of Windows 7 and then manually doing all the things you like about that version. I found this video of a guy reviewing it, and he provided a link to another vid where he tells you what registry edits were done (and I assume explains them). This will ensure you get what you want without the risk of having downloaded something that someone else slipped something bad into..

What games were you hoping to play? That CPU isn't super good by today's standards, but the good news (in this case) is a lot of games are getting pretty GPU dependent so you can still get by on some older CPUs if you have a good GPU. So you could upgrade your GPU pretty easily, and depending on what games and what resolution you were wanting to play, the chances of getting to what you want on your budget run from excellent to impossible.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-slow-machine.173460/
Relevancy 21.93%

Please provede me all the power diagonis manual in a desktop motherboar for testing whether all the section is received the appropiate volts.

and also tells the procedure that all the connector (usb, ps2, serial port , com port , lan port, and Vga port and sound port ) is ok or not

Please please help me

Miza.........

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-provide-me-motherboard-power-analysis-data-sheet.172633/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi all I hope someone can help me with this one Recenlty every time booted up monitor made slight crackling sound screen would flicker but monitor would work Gateway said is likely problem w power supply of monitor PC is years old So I started to get data off pc as fast as possible Today monitor made LOT of crackling noises and screen just went black Un- and replugging power cord to monitor made no diff Before this would help stop the crackling Now if I reboot system OR just replug in problem Monitor and data monitor hear the monitor click on and off Monitor power button is lit green Screen remains Monitor problem and data black Is also funny smell like glue but not a burning smell I am frantic in getting remaining data removed from harddrive What can I do I do not have spare monitor I only year old laptop a Is monitor problem power-supply related If it ISN T shouldn t that mean hooking up another monitor will solve this b If use another monitor with newer models do I need special cord connector type and even software on the old pc to recognize substitute monitor c is there such a thing as rent a monitor d is there a way to hook the old pc to my laptop so I can get Monitor problem and data at data How would I do this e anyone have suggestions my only concern is to get the data off the hardrive somone suggested moving harddrive but i have no experience with taking from motherboard and then trying to get some other computer to read it f i also have hand impairment no car and cannot take this pc to repair shop is there a reputable pc repair company if that is my last choice thanks in advance for any one that can help me FeanX nbsp

A:Monitor problem and data

Doesn't sound to me like there is anything wrong with the PC. You just need a new monitor. Look up 17" LCD monitors, they are cheap. If you can't afford an LCD then check Craigslist, someone may be willing to give you a CRT monitor, and maybe even deliver just because you have to pay a disposal fee most places to get rid of them.

If you don't want to do either of those options. Purchase a USB dock or bare external enclosure that supports PATA/IDE drives (both of these must have their own power supply for a desktop drive). I'm making the assumption the drive is a PATA/IDE drive because of the age of the desktop, you'll want to confirm by taking the side of the case off and looking to see if it has a wide and flat ribbon with 40/80pins or a thin more stiff smaller and flat cable (SATA). Google 'IDE Ribbon' and 'SATA Cable' to see what they look like. If by chance yours is SATA (unlikely at 10yrs old) you'll need a USB-SATA dock rather than a USB-IDE (if those are even made).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-problem-and-data.172586/
Relevancy 33.97%

I once ran across a simple UI item that allowed me to change LOCAL CONNECTION 2 to LOCAL CONNECTION.

RESOLVED. Open Network and Sharing Center. Click on the icon for the active connection. Change THAT name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-local-net-2-to-local-net.172565/
Relevancy 18.92%

So basically like the title says, I can't charge the laptop, I know the charger works though because I tried it another laptop that's the exact same as mine and it works on the other laptop but not mine, is there any inexpensive way I can fix it?

If not then can someone guide me through how to transfer the data over to another laptop?

Thanks!

A:Can't charge laptop, how do I fix or how do I transfer data over to a new laptop?

To transfer data, remove the disk and connect it to the other laptop using an adapter such as this or put it in an enclosure.

Once connected, the laptop will see the HDD as a removable storage and you can click and drag files from one to the other.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-charge-laptop-how-do-i-fix-or-how-do-i-transfer-data-over-to-a-new-laptop.171794/
Relevancy 22.36%

I have three 7200rpm HDDs that are used for data storage and currently connected via SATA II, USB 2.0 and eSATA, respectively. Once in very rare blue moon, I may reorganize them and transfer data from and to each other. Other than that, I'm content with speed I'm getting from them and there's no urgent need to upgrade to SATA II or SATA III for this particular application.

I did consider getting a PCI SATA II card but those have their own set of compatibility/reliability issues.

Now, I'm wondering if USB 2.0 is good enough for my 3 HDD storage needs as is or should I ditch the USB 2.0 connection and upgrade my mobo, which has 2 SATA II ports, to a new mobo with more SATA II/III ports?

A:How to store data on my 3 HDDs: USB or SATA?

You would get better performance if all 3 drives were using the same interface connections

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-store-data-on-my-3-hdds-usb-or-sata.172376/
Relevancy 26.66%

In our network we have many remote sites. We are currently all WinXP Pro but are starting to transition to Windows 7 (64-bit) when we cycle PCs out.

We have been using RealVNC for years instead of RDP because RealVNC allows shared control of the PC between you and the local user (ie: "Show me what you are talking about"). I've tried Tight (which leaves lots remnants after uninstalling), Real (simply does not work unless you buy the Enterprise version, for ~800 computers that just isn't going to work) and Ultra (works, but randomly resets its options and closes down once you log out of a profile).

Is there a way to allow shared control during RDP? If not, is there another VNC-ish program I can try (freeware) that's as reliable as RealVNC has been under XP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/allow-local-user-control-in-rdp.171996/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi there I m not sure if this is the right forum so apologies if not I have recently been in touch with my ISP about upgrading my service and we were talking about various packages This touched on download limits and the amount I download - I download a lot of music watch a lot of video iplayer on-line etc Nevertheless he said I had only downloaded GB in the last days which didn t seem that much He then mentioned that I had uploaded a massive GB in the same period I have no idea how that has happened - I don t have a youtube or massive data upload Internet problem vimeo account I rarely send large attachments on e-mails and I don t use file sharing sites I m worried something is hijacking my computer as I have been plagued by random crashes memory errors and slow internet speeds average - mbps on a mbps connection I have Internet massive data upload problem been googling and not found any solutions so I thought I d ask here Any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated Thanks for your time Lee nbsp

A:Internet massive data upload problem

I don't know what the problem could be but I have a few points to make..If you use a torrent program you also upload at the same time as you download, if you play games it downloads and uploads (but not so much) and then if you have a 20megs connection the max download speed sould be ~2 to 3mbps, it's a common mistake (at least here) that people think that if they have (for ex.) a 100mbs connection that that also would be the max download speed (when the actual max download speed is ~11mbps).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-massive-data-upload-problem.171515/
Relevancy 22.36%

hi all I am new here and my problem is i wanted to back up my mp collection from my hd so i wrote them out to dvd-r s with the roxio creator It took a while because i had over mp s to back up I din t do any compression or anything i just wrote them to discs Well after the rd one was written i checked and dvd looked fine with about mp s on it but from past experience i never write data Strange DVD problem? just quot look quot at the data So i started to play them for a test in alphabetical order Strange DVD data write problem? - played back fine but would not and then more bad one plays and then badones Ect Until until by no more on the disc would play leaving some bad files Strange But at least i did not delete any of the originals yet by tyhe way all of those played just fine so the writing must have somehow corrupted the backups So then i decided to check the other two discs All played absolutly perfect on the other two dvds The only thing i noticed is taht roxio has something called quot retrieve quot Which pooped right up when i put disc amp back into the dvd writer drive Anybody got any idea what is going on with this situation i will go back and try to write the bad ones again Any help is greatly appriciated Thank you Strange DVD data write problem? jerryuuc redacted com is my email nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/strange-dvd-data-write-problem.170962/
Relevancy 22.79%

Checking file system on C The type of the file system is NTFS One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency You may cancel the disk check but it is strongly recommended safe? log CHKDSK? data saying? SSD What my is Is the that you continue CHKDSK? What is the log saying? Is my SSD data safe? Windows will now check the disk CHKDSK is verifying files stage of file records processed File verification completed Deleting orphan file record segment Deleting orphan file record segment Deleting orphan file record segment Deleting orphan file record segment Deleting orphan file record segment Deleting orphan file record segment Deleting orphan file record segment Deleting orphan file record segment Deleting orphan file record segment Deleting orphan file record segment Deleting orphan file record segment Deleting orphan file record segment large file records processed bad file records processed EA records processed reparse records processed CHKDSK is verifying indexes stage of Index entry hiberfil sys of index I in CHKDSK? What is the log saying? Is my SSD data safe? file x points to unused file xa Deleting index entry hiberfil sys in index I of file Index entry pagefile sys of index I in file x points to unused file xa CHKDSK? What is the log saying? Is my SSD data safe? Deleting index entry pagefile sys in index I of file Index entry diagerr xml of index I in file x c points to unused file xa Deleting index entry diagerr xml in index I of file Index entry diagwrn xml of index I in file x c points to unused file xa Deleting index entry diagwrn xml in index I of file Index entry MainQueueOnline que of index I in file x c points to unused file xa Deleting index entry MainQueueOnline que in index I of file Index entry MAINQU QUE of index I in file x c points to unused file xa Deleting index entry MAINQU QUE in index I of file Index entry setup etl of index I in file x c points to unused file xa a Deleting index entry setup etl in index I of file Index entry setup exe of index I in file x c points to unused file xa Deleting index entry setup exe in index I of file Index entry setupact log of index I in file x c points to unused file xa Deleting index entry setupact log in index I of file Index entry setuperr log of index I in file x c points to unused file xa Deleting index entry setuperr log in index I of file Index entry setupinfo of index I in file x c points to unused file xa Deleting index entry setupinfo in index I of file Index entry SETUPI of index I in file x c points to unused file xa Deleting index entry SETUPI in index I of file Index entry MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase of index I in file x c points to unused file xa Deleting index entry MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase in index I of file Index entry MOUNTP of index I in file x c points to unused file xa Deleting index entry MOUNTP in index I of file Index entry Microsoft VisualStudio Tools Applications Runtime v ni dll of index I in file x b points to unused file xa b Deleting index entry Microsoft VisualStudio Tools Applications Runtime v ni dll in index I of file Index entry MICROS DLL of index I in file x b points to unused file xa b Deleting index entry MICROS DLL in index I of file index entries processed Index verification completed unindexed files scanned unindexed files recovered CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors stage of file SDs SIDs processed Cleaning up unused index entries from index SII of file x Cleaning up unused index entries from index SDH of file x Cleaning up unused security descriptors Security descriptor verification completed data files processed CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal USN bytes processed Usn Journal verification completed CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table MFT bitmap CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap Windows has made corrections to the file system KB total disk space KB in files KB in indexes KB in bad sectors KB in use by the system KB occupied by the l... Read more

A:CHKDSK? What is the log saying? Is my SSD data safe?

you might have had some corrupted files or sectors. if CHKDSK does it's thing, you should be ok.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/chkdsk-what-is-the-log-saying-is-my-ssd-data-safe.170644/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello every one! My computer drive E is not showing data and from properties it is shown that data is still there and occupying space. This problem started two days ago when i started my pc and when i opened E there was nothing shown and before it was working properly... kindly help me....

A:Primary hard drive not showing data on it...

Use A43 File Manager. This is a replacement for Explorer.

Your files are still there, probably hidden by malware infection

at the CMD prompt type these

E:
CD /
ATTRIB -S -H /S /D

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-hard-drive-not-showing-data-on-it.169993/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hey everyone gaming machine PC check -- build Compatibility on first new I m building a new gaming desktop Compatibility check on new gaming machine -- first PC build and want to make sure everything is compatible I ve never built a pc before so if you could take a look at this list and see if anything stands out to you as being wrong A couple of main things I want to be sure of are Will the water cooler work with the case and Which PCI wireless card will I need PCIe x or PCIe x Thanks Here s the list Sorry I can t post links yet since I m new Case Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case CPU Intel Core i - Gulftown GHz x KB L Cache MB L Cache LGA W Six-Core Desktop Processor Motherboard ASUS P X D-E LGA Intel X SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard RAM CORSAIR Vengeance GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR Desktop Memory Model Hard Drives Western Digital Caviar Black WD FAEX TB RPM MB Cache SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive Video Cards gtx EVGA SuperClocked -P - -AR GeForce GTX Fermi MB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Power Supply KINGWIN Mach ABT- MA S W ATX BTX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply DVD Burner ASUS X DVD Burner Water Cooling CORSAIR CWCH - High Performance CPU Cooler Keyboard Mouse Logitech Wireless Combo PCI Wireless Card Rosewill RNX-G LX Wireless Adapter Compatibility check on new gaming machine -- first PC build Card IEEE b g PCI or Asus Wireless Compatibility check on new gaming machine -- first PC build Network Adapter PCE-N nbsp

A:Compatibility check on new gaming machine -- first PC build

Personally I wouldn't blow money on an i7-980 1366 based system. Enthusiast level Sandy Bridge products are scheduled before the end of the year and AMD Bulldozer CPUs should be competitive as well, even the 1155 socket Sandy bridge systems are giving very similar performance to that Gulftown processor for a lot less money. I'd rather put the money into better video cards. Also 24Gb of ram is excessive. 8-16Gb is as much as I'd recommend for gaming. If you have other planned uses for the machine then you might have reason to put that much ram in it, otherwise cut back on the ram to at least 16Gb and invest the money into an SSD drive for OS and current games to be stored on. That improves boot speed and loading times for games. Don't think there should be a problem with the H50 in that case. As long as there is clearance between the rear exhaust fan mounting position and the CPU positioning for the radiator and fan to fit then you are good to go.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compatibility-check-on-new-gaming-machine-first-pc-build.170217/
Relevancy 24.94%

Alright I have a whole bunch of my music and videos on my external hard drive and I got a new Dell XPS yesterday I had been using my external hard drive just fine for the past - yeas now with different laptops working fine I plugged it yesterday to transfer all my music to my new computer and it seemed to be working fine There was an error as the copy rate External Local -- won't open Disk as only working, shows drive hard stopped up slowwed so I decided to delete and try again I did that about times and then decided to just copy the music album by album Eventually I don External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open t know how it ended up happening instead of the Hard Drive coming up as Seagate on the My Computer Tab it started showing up as Local Disk J on my Dell and Local Disk E on my laptop now It doesn t matter where I plug it in Not only that it won t open when I try to open it It will get loaded and then just pause and stop responding I m completely lost My hard drive is Seagate GB nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Hi, first I would run the Seagate diagnostics to check the hard drive is still healthy following this guide.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

If you have a Toshiba hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.Click to expand...

It sounds likely that the circuitry in the drive enclosure is failing (or the drive), if the test won't run then remove the drive from the enclosure and purchase a USB Hard Drive adapter, or use the internal connections in a desktop PC to connect the drive. This should allow you to run the test and/or extract all the files.

If the test runs ok with the drive connected to another PC internally, or with a USB adapter then you will know for sure that it is the enclosure that has failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-working-only-shows-up-as-local-disk-wont-open.169973/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi all Objective to rescue some Movies and piks for my brother from his ANCIENT Toshiba Satellite Pro cdt data Rescuing CDT an Toshiba 480 off old - Windows SE - No rescue OS disks Computer nd hand The OS doesnt matter so much HDD Not sure of size but would it be GIG from specs below IBM OEM Model DTCA - E Rescuing data off an old Toshiba 480 CDT HG Made in Hungary MAR P N J MB MLC F The current status On attempted bootup the Error message appears quot Invalid system disk replace the disk and then press any key quot quot Any key quot produces a replica message Only option to power down was to pull the power plug There were green lights and an orange one active These had little diagrams below Power A loptop with quot on quot in the screen amp a battery respectively Lights were unlit A battery with a square around it something that looks like three disks platters and another with a disk inside a square I suspect one of these to be the hard drive light I didnt hear any clicking or any horrible noises Ive spent some time searching this error and the upshot is it could just as likely be terminal as not So what should I try st to have the best possible success WOuld my safest st move be to just try hooking it up to my IDE USB adapter like in my recent thread with a Compaq HDD rescue Cheers Joanne nbsp

A:Rescuing data off an old Toshiba 480 CDT

Hi Musicalls,

If your objective is to retrieve data from the hard drive then removing it and hooking it to your other PC would be the best move.

The error message on boot would indicate the disk has failed.

You may have to resort to extreme measures as per this guide to get the disk to spin.

http://free-backup.info/diy-hard-drive-recovery-for-the-extremely-desperate.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/rescuing-data-off-an-old-toshiba-480-cdt.161486/
Relevancy 22.36%

Psuedo-Scientific data of longevity: CD-R Psuedo-scientific study study Psuedo-scientific study of CD-R data longevity: of longevity of CD-R data I have a stack of CD-R disks that I filled with data during my undergraduate years so most of the disks are going to be years old plus or minus years I m currently attempting to copy the burned disks back to my hard drive by simple drag and drop copying within Windows I m using an HP dvd drive to read the disks I do not remember with which burner various disks were burned with and that may influence results somewhat I know that the disks were burned with at least burners the first was a old DVD drive with CD burning capabilities it came with an HP tower that I bought in The other drives were a Philips x cd burner and a Pacific Digital x However I do not know which drives burned which disks so since I don t have that data I m only focusing on the success rate of reading all the files burned to particular branded CD-R media So far the results are brands listed with as much information as is given on their label Because of the way this board handles spaces I can t make it look nice So the results are going to be presented as Disks Successfully Read Disks Attempted Notes Staples MB CD-R KB Sec read rate on some Unbranded no label Appear with data on them but none in explorer PNY MB x Tiny star like blemishes on bottom HP x CD-R KB Sec read Imation MB Prime Peripherals MB KB Sec read on a couple disks Memorex CD-R MB Likely a surface blemish Summary is only disks failed to be read and one of those was likely due to physical damage rather than deterioration over time Seems like if you take reasonable care of your disks stacked or sleeved and keep them out of the sun then you can probably expect the disks to last years I don t have DVDs this old so the success rate after years on DVDs may be different due to much tighter tracks nbsp

A:Psuedo-scientific study of CD-R data longevity:

I have also hundreds of burned CD/DVD's, some of it are pre-Windows 95 and still readable.. I've observed that when stacked horizontally /edit- not vertically/, the ones at the bottom are the first to be non-readable. Those with cases lasts longer. So when I put then on a sleeved bag that fits about 40 or 80 CD's, they are oriented vertically, like books on a library.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/psuedo-scientific-study-of-cd-r-data-longevity.169814/
Relevancy 49.88%

Here s an imaginary situation For curiosities sake two independent motherboards are present in a case installed in such accessed different by Can if one be accessed HDD times? two at motherboards a way that only one could be on at a time Let s say that one motherboard is an intel chip with hardware configured to run windows and let s say that the other is an apple motherboard configured for OS X Lion And there is a three way switch on the case giving power to only one board at a time If the motherboards were both run to one hard drive could both motherboards access the hard Can one HDD be accessed by two motherboards if accessed at different times? drive and function normally so long only one of them was on at a time I am assuming that they would be able to the board Can one HDD be accessed by two motherboards if accessed at different times? set up for windows would search Can one HDD be accessed by two motherboards if accessed at different times? the drive for its partition and read and write to it and the board set up for mac would search for its partition and read and write to it And before things get nuts yes I know that you don t need to do this and that you can dual boot mac windows blah blah blah I am just curious as to whether or not it is possible If you have to know why I ask I am considering a mod to put an xbox mobo and a ps slim mobo into an xbox case in with a micro atx psu and a hdd the case mod being a homage to phantom crash and slai the setup would only run these two games off the hdd nbsp

A:Can one HDD be accessed by two motherboards if accessed at different times?

In theory, if the power to the HDD also switches to the corresponding motherboard, yeah it should be possible. (see EDIT below)

But this switching-idea must also be applied to the data cable running to the HDD. The cable must not be connected to both motherboards at the same time, that would cause internal confusion.

But in theory, a multi-port power switch could do the job, sure.

EDIT:
Keep in mind, for your splendid idea: you need (at least) two separate partitions on the HDD, one formatted in FATX, and one formatted in (whatever format the PS2 uses). It is possible to format two different partitions on a drive in different formats, but it is tricky.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-one-hdd-be-accessed-by-two-motherboards-if-accessed-at-different-times.169091/
Relevancy 25.8%

I'm missing the "local area connection" for a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop. Hence, I cannot seem to connect to the net.

Anybody got any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

A:Local area connection missing, Dell Inspiron 1300

Is your wireless working? Go under your BIOS and see if the WiFi is enabled or functioning. Download any BIOS updates, WiFi drivers update an etc.. If all is done and you still have the issue. Buy USB WiFi NIC Dongle and test that and see if you can get LAN or WAN connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-missing-dell-inspiron-1300.168709/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello Forum I have an old bg external hard drive The thing works great but over the last years between my massive music collection and photo hobby it s almost maxed out So I bought a TB external hard drive What I plan on doing Move the files from from external 500GB Moving data my HDD PC to the old HD to my PC which has TB of space Moving data from 500GB external HDD to my PC available then using backup software to keep those files backed up on the shiny new TB external My question how do I safely move that data from the old External HD to my PC In the past when I first moved GB s from my then-PC to the External HD it not only took FOREVER but I ran into some file corruption some files didn t open and I lost some music somehow Now that I have close to gb s I m scared that I ll run into trouble with just doing simple copy paste Any advice Thx in advance grinthumb nbsp

A:Moving data from 500GB external HDD to my PC

Maybe you should try Teracopy.

TeraCopy is a compact program designed to copy and move files at the maximum possible speed. It verifies files were copied correctly with a checksum. TeraCopy uses dynamically adjusted buffers to reduce seek times. Asynchronous copy speeds up file transfer between two physical hard drives. You can pause copy process at any time to free up system resources and continue with a single click.Click to expand...

I haven't tried the program myself, but it's free, and if it does what it says it should be just what you're looking for.

There are also other alternative file copiers.

BTW, the speed depends on how you connect your hdd's, and how many/how big files you have. Many small files take a lot more time to copy than few big files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/moving-data-from-500gb-external-hdd-to-my-pc.168257/
Relevancy 22.36%

So here s the problem I ve got four blocks of corrupted data on my memory card I ve tried deleting them but it doesn t work I would ignore it except now I cannot save anything new on it If I try that data will data Memory PS2 Card for Max Corrupted 16MB on also become corrupted I ve been searching online and unfortunately have yet Corrupted data on 16MB Max Memory Card for PS2 to find a solution I ve tried putting an audio CD in and then deleting the corrupted data Clearly that didn t work I have also tried to format the card but here s the thing I cannot find the option where it says to format I was hesitant to consider the option to format the card at first seeing as all my data will be deleted but I ll get rid of it all if that allows me to able to use this memory card I ve went into the memory card where i can look at all the data seeing if there are any format options- none I tried attaching a picture to show that the memory card does not have an option to format There are only two options quot Enter quot and quot Back quot Help anyone nbsp

A:Corrupted data on 16MB Max Memory Card for PS2

Anyone? I really need help. This is driving me insane and I'd just like to deal with it and get it out of the way already. Please....heeeeelp. :/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/corrupted-data-on-16mb-max-memory-card-for-ps2.168211/
Relevancy 51.17%

Greetings I have recently decided to build myself advice Building machine, new a desktop welcome a Desktop Computer to replace my current laptop since I no longer require mobility That said it has been years since I built a computer from scratch and even then the machine was not built for any kind of real performance I have been spending some time searching across the web evaluating needs vs wants setting my budget picking out parts etc and now I fall upon the graces of my online peers for Building a new desktop machine, advice welcome advice On to the nitty-gritty Purpose The machine will be used primarily for Graphic Arts I work in programs Building a new desktop machine, advice welcome such as Photoshop Daz D Poser Maya DSMax Illustrator etc The secondary use for the machine and should probably be called primary is gaming Currently I play World of Warcraft Rift and Starcraft I also do some work in Visual Studio Budget I d like to keep it around or under Parts and Purchase I am starting from scratch with no preexisting parts and nothing currently purchased Where I buy from is of little consequence though to avoid exorbitant shipping costs I would prefer to buy as much from one place as possible I am fine with online shopping Peripherals Not needed OS I have a copy of Windows Pro -bit but may be purchasing another Home version not sure yet Cooling I would like to keep the machine as cool as possible but am tepid about liquid cooling any advise opinions on this is welcome All of that said as I mentioned before I have been looking for parts and have put together a list of parts that I think will take care of what I need But whether they are the best part for my dollar is unknown to me I do not think I will have any compatibility issues except perhaps with the SSD I m not sure on that one What I d like is for any and all of you to pick my list apart and let me know your thoughts or any problems you see I am open to switching out any of what I have chosen for a better and or cheaper product as long as everything stays within my budget After researching these are the parts that I am looking into buying Case Cooler Master RC- -KKN -GP HAF Advance Full Tower Case - ATX Black SuperSpeed USB PSU Ultra U - X Gold Edition Modular Power Supply - W ATX Plus Gold mm Fan SLI Ready CrossFire Technology Active PFC Vibration Dampener Included Lifetime Warranty w Registration Mobo ASUS P P Deluxe B Intel P Motherboard - ATX Socket H LGA Intel P Express MHz DDR O C Dual Gigabit LAN -CH Audio SATA Gb s USB SLI CrossFireX Bluetooth CPU Intel Core i - K BX I K Unlocked Processor - Quad Core MB L Cache GHz Socket H LGA Retail CPU Cooler Corsair CWCH - Hydro H CPU Liquid Cooler - mm Fan Copper Cold Plate Aluminum Radiator LGA LGA LGA AM AM RAM Corsair CML GX M A C Vengeance LP Desktop Memory Kit - GB x GB PC - DDR - MHz - - - CAS Latency -pin DIMM V Unbuffered Intel XMP Ready Video EVGA G-P - -AR GeForce GTX Ti Free Performance Boost Video Card - GB GDDR PCI-Express x Dual DVI HDMI DirectX SLI Ready SSD Corsair Performance Series CSSD-P GB -BRKT quot GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Building a new desktop machine, advice welcome

You'll love that case. I built a gaming rig for my brother-in-law using that case and it has plenty of fans. With a cpu cooler (which you list), it should do quite well in the cooling aspect. Keep in mind that periodic removing of dust is essential because the HAF (High Air Flow) cases move a lot of air.

How much rendering will you be doing?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-a-new-desktop-machine-advice-welcome.167900/
Relevancy 21.93%

My 8GB Transcend flash drive became corrupted when I tried opening it on a Windows 7 laptop. It was previously used on a Windows XP laptop.

A new driver was found for the device when it was inserted in the Windows 7 laptop. After this all the file names turned into dingbat or strange symbols and could'nt be opened. The changed names remained when I put the drive back in the other laptop.

I checked the Windows XP laptop and flash drive for viruses and registry errors. I found and corrected 86 errors, but the flash drive is no longer recognised on the Windows XP laptop.

How can I recover my files on the flash drive?

A:How can I recover flash drive data, after corruption in Windows 7

Download Recuva and do a deep scan. In the meantime do not place any files on the flash drive, as it will overwrite previous information contained within it.

It should find some data for you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-recover-flash-drive-data-after-corruption-in-windows-7.167925/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello,

The USB of my external hard drive was broken and I changed to a new casing. However, it did not show up in my computer anymore and did not show up in disk management. I read forums and assigned it a drive name in disk management and clicked new partition. The drive was now visible in my computer but it keeps asking to be formatted. I do not want to erase my old data and so did not format.I want access to this data back again. My hard drive is fine and makes no noises. Someone please help.

Thanks,
Tulika

A:Recover data from external hard drive?

No guarantee that you'll be able to recover your data. Depends on the size of the HDD, it might take a while for the programs to scan it. Be patient.

Found some posts that might be of help. Good luck.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252267-45-recovery-data-hard-disk-deleting-partition

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/255089-32-partitions-overwritten-recover-previous-data

http://www.partitionguru.com/step/recover-partition-using-partitionGuru.php

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recover-data-from-external-hard-drive.167375/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hey guys Long story short one of the HD s in my RAID array was being reported as failing Intel Matrix Storage Manager gave me a message inside of windows and on boot the RAID controller said the disk was failing as well So I went disk lose 0 RAID not data trying to failing, and got another HD of equal size The old HD is WD KS and the new one is WD JS so theyre pretty much identical I booted up with only the new and old drives in my PC into Ubuntu Live CD got the ddrescue package and cloned my HD Now I reconnected all my old drives where they were replacing the old failing one with the new cloned one RAID 0 disk failing, trying not to lose data At boot the RAID Manager gives me Unknown Member for the new drive and the nd drive in the array is marked Member Offline What to do I fear that if I remove the drives from the array and create a new one Ill loose all the data Im stuck Help nbsp

A:RAID 0 disk failing, trying not to lose data

Hi, I'm no expert on RAID set ups but found this guide below which may help. It describes the process you have used but there may be some important parts of the process that you missed, notably that you have not used an identical drive to clone to and the disconnection of the drive from the array before cloning.

This information came from here where there are a few other posts that may be usefull.

http://ask.metafilter.com/66389/how-to-clone-failing-disk-in-RAID-0-array

Any number of drive cloning tools exist that will make exact sector copies. Acronis True Image or Symantec Ghost are often used by Windows users, but many freeware options exist in the UNIX world, such as dd command line tool, which you can run off a bootable Ubuntu or Knoppix CD. You make a bootable disk or CD, disconnect your failing drive from the RAID array, and put it on one channel of a basic IDE or SATA disk controller (pull your RAID controller if its not motherboard based - if it is, you'll have to break the RAID in BIOS, after powering down and disconnecting drives). Plug in a second drive on that same controller, and boot off the bootable media you made that contains the clone tool. Use the clone tool to clone. Substitute the clone drive in the RAID array.

For this to work however, you have to use identical models of drives, and your RAID controller needs not to have put drive markers in the MBR of the drives that have been computed from interrogating drive firmware. Some controllers are easy to fool, and others, with better security awareness, are very tough to fool.

RAID 0 as your primary storage is no way to run a PC, as PC grade hardware is nowhere near reliable enough to do this without recurring trouble. And RAID, even RAID 5 or 6, is no substitute for backing up.Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-0-disk-failing-trying-not-to-lose-data.167083/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi,
I have IO Data Network storage, can anyone show me how to set password to the Network Hard drive?, currentlt anyone within this network can access it.

thanks

A:How to set password for my IO Data Landisk?

you're into a bag of worms - - is this a personal LAN attached NAS or a commerical problem?

for background on the subject, see this PDF

The process to secure access to a NAS storage device is:

take ownership of the root folder and replace all children's permissions
create a group name which implies NAS-access
grant desired privileges to that group name
now go back and add your desired user-logins to the new group name
To revoke access, delete joe-user from that group list

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-set-password-for-my-io-data-landisk.166940/
Relevancy 51.17%

Good day everyone Well I have reached the point with my old machine where I am fed up with it s at this New smart machine time? gaming performance I New gaming machine smart at this time? am still New gaming machine smart at this time? running a single core with a GT for graphics Needless to say coupled to a inch monitor running at resolution I can t play even old games on medium settings I have come up with a budget system right now all I can afford and I think it offers a lot of options for the future However I have been out of the hardware loop for a good years now I have spent the last month catching up on information I am going to explain my specs and my reasons for them and hopefully some hardcore hardware gurus can help me confirm I am making the right choices CPU AMD Phenom II X Black Edition GHZ MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte GA- FXA-UD RAM Corsair XMS CMX GX M A C GB X GB DDR - VIDEO CARD MSI N GTX Twin Frozr II OC CASE Corsair Obsidian Series D PSU Corsair Professional Series Gold AX Now the first thing that jumps out is yes I am thinking of diving right into the FX chipset This way I am ready to upgrade anytime once the upcoming Bulldozer series is released from AMD Also with this motherboard I can run a SLI Nvidia setup with a AMD CPU something that hasn t been possible in the past The CPU has very good overclocking ability so I hear and I see no point in buying a core CPU right now when the core Bulldozers are just around the corner This is a steal of a deal at including the HSF Not to mention virtually nothing available can take advantage of cores and I do not do ANY video editing The video card is not entirely what I want I wanted a GTX but it simply is not in the cards For a price jump of more to get into a GTX I have heard it is not worth it The GTX can overclock to near speeds and GTX s give almost identical performance to a GTX SLI setup for half the price In the near future probably months or so I can buy another GTX and SLI that setup and be good for a few years to come The power supply is big enough that I can SLI any Nvidia cards out there since I have no interest in ever running more than graphics cards at once The case is huge and easy to build in While expensive I think the case is one that is worth keeping for years to come I know I will always be able to handle bigger motherboards and bigger video cards down the road let s face it hardware is not shrinking All in all I just want to play current and future games for at least the next year or two I cannot stand lag and turned down graphics it just ruins the game play experience I do not edit video use photoshop to create digital art or anything of that sort This is strictly for watching movies listening to music browsing and playing games Does it sound like this is a good way to go nbsp

A:New gaming machine smart at this time?

Looks fine. You've obviously looked at a build with a degree of futureproofing (as much as there can be) in mind and some solid choices in build quality/warranty/longevity/expandibility.
I own an 800D, and they are a very roomy chassis. The 700D offers a little more for a few less dollars- although you would have to do without the window.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-gaming-machine-smart-at-this-time.166427/
Relevancy 21.5%

I am apologizing before I start because I have limited knowledge and hope not to waste anyone s time The story I am trying to recover a few from recovering laptop Problem drive motherboard hard data after failure data files from Problem recovering data from laptop hard drive after motherboard failure my old hard drive I have removed my hard drive from my laptop in which the motherboard crashed The hard drive is about a year old laptop years old I placed the removed drive into a usb drive enclosure The failed computer had Vista OS my new computer has Windows OS The failed drive has a password on it at the level of logging into windows When I connected old drive to new computer via usb the new computer recognized it and gave it a drive letter If if clicked on the drive I could see the files in it When I tried to go to the files that contained my data I got a message that I did have permission to open them Then the new computer continuously tried to open the file This process wouldn t stop even trying to kill it with the Task Master I had to pull the drive out of the usb and reboot my new computer questions What should I do Is this a problem with conflicting OS systems passwords too many OS I have looked at forums but could not find anything that I could understand and use Any suggestions Thanks nbsp

A:Problem recovering data from laptop hard drive after motherboard failure

Try to take ownership.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-recovering-data-from-laptop-hard-drive-after-motherboard-failure.166676/