Windows Support Forum

System Restore error message

Q: System Restore error message

I'm using Windows XP. When I go into the Control Panel, System Restore, I get the following message, can you tell me what me what it means?
"RUNDLL - An exception occured while trying to run "C:\Windows2\system32\shell32.dll, Control_RunDLL "C:Windows2\system32\sysdm.cpl", System

Thanks, appreciate an explanation
Kiskaboy

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: System Restore error message

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 71.81%

Every time I have tried to use system restore since downloading Service Pack 2 I get an error message that the system restore was incomplete and cannot be done because "no changes have been made to my computer." Anybody know what is going on and how I can get system restore working again?

A:System restore error message

one option is uninstalling sp2, but I hear that may cause even more problems regarding your exact current situation......
or
system restore troubleshooting
Open a command prompt window. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD.
2. Press ENTER, and then type Net Start at the command prompt to make sure that the System Restore service is up and is running.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm

also this;
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt
1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.
2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-error-message.288758/
Relevancy 71.81%

I engaged the Microsoft chat service to fix system restore. I can't create a restore point. I tried sfc; chkdsk with /f; Microsoft virus scan; group policy; and a lot other solutions. Microsoft said they would fix the problem for $99.00. I think the error message pertains to a Visual Studio or VB application. My C# and C++ are kind of rusty, but if thats what it takes, so be it. Can anyone make sense of the error message? The only alternative is to pay the $99.00.

A:System Restore Error Message.

Hi dittybop

From what I can see, you're trying to use System Restore Manager v2.0 to do a "System Restore". This isn't the built-in feature of Windows. Did you try using the built-in feature of Windows instead and see if it works? The issue right now is the program that you're using to create the Restore Point, not the System Restore service itself.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/574193/system-restore-error-message/
Relevancy 71.81%

I am trying to reinstall windows xp to my emachines desktop with a system recovery disk but I get an error. First I put the recovery disk in a restart the computer. a screen that says press 'R' for system recovery options appears and I pressed 'R'. Then the screen says:
Press 'R' for standard eMachies System Recovery options. You will boot into recovery Partition or onto CD if no recovery partition is found.
Then I press R and a loading screen appears that has a PC Angel system recovery logo. The screen loads for a while, and then a blue screen saying:
STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file):\System Root\System32\Config\SECURITY or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

A:error message during system restore

Have a look at How do I Repair A Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry Cannot Load The Hive (File): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\Software Error

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-message-during-system-restore.807529/
Relevancy 71.81%

I have XP Home. About one month old. When I try to restore to an earlier date, I get an error message "The procedure entry point DoOpenPipeStream could not be located in the dynamic link library ScrRun.dll.
Is this file on my Window XP CD somewhere?
Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
c. christensen

Relevancy 71.81%

I attempted a System Restore for 2 days back and received the message: SR did not complete successfully. Your computer's files and settings were not changed. Details: An unspecified error occurred during SR. You might want to try SR again and choose a different restore point."

Which I attempted two times and got the same message. Could someone please offer some suggestions? Thanks.

A:System Restore error message

Try the System Restore in Safe Mode.

The downside to this, if it works, is that no new checkpoint is created -- so if you wanted to undo it you would have to return to something other than the current date.

If it fails in Safe Mode -- you are probably out of luck as far as getting to work for existing restore points.

The fix is usually to turn it off, purging the entire cache, then turn it back on again.

At that time it should create a new restore point -- or you can create one manually and test it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-error-message.865168/
Relevancy 71.81%

I tried to use System restore today. Got the following error.
"System retore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and then run System restore again"
I tried several times but no go. I also tried in safe mode but no luck again.
Can you help???
I'm running WinXP Home.
I submitted this once but I don't know what happened to it.
Thanks

Relevancy 71.81%

]my computer is a windows XP home edition.I tried to use system restore today and i keep getting this message System Restore has been turned off by group policy.To turn on System Restore, contact your domain Administrator. This is a home computer and has never left the house .Please help .Thanking you I am

A:Help with error message with system restore

This thread may be of some assistance
http://forums.wugnet.com/-system-restore-turned-group-policy-ftopict275715.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-error-message-with-system-restore.363593/
Relevancy 70.95%

System Restore error message in Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

When trying to access System Restore to restore my system to an earlier time in the past I am getting the following error message:
There is an unexpected error: The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057)
UNQUOTE
after which the computer says "System Restore will now close"

What is this error messsage about, what is it that is producing it and most importantly : How to correct this?
I would appreciate your help now.

Thank you kindly

A:System Restore error message (0x80070057)

try this.
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/174598-system-restore-error-message-0x80070057.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I have a Dell Inspiron 5520 laptop running windows 7 with 4 MB RAM. First off I cannot connect to the internet because I get the error message- :Windows did not detect any networking hardware. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N2230 which is acknowledged in the device manager but did not help. Ran Diagnostics and everything passed. Decided to just do a restore and when I try that an error message appears with the following message: "System restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system. A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information. (0x800423020 Tried doing the restore from a clean boot and got same message. On a side note, when trying to boot to safe mode via the f8 key......it never starts up, just goes to a dark screen with a prompt, beeping continuously........any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A:System restore error message (0x800423020

Hello and welcome dynaclean mate have a loo to see if the fan is spinning. In a desktop this constant beeping is caused by non functioning fans. See if it is full of crud or something that is stopping it turn.

If it is that then it is probably over heating preventing the CPU from starting.

Post back what you find and just how old is this machine??

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/312433-system-restore-error-message-0x800423020.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Having getting blasted with BSOD`s and formating my system 3 times the last days, I finaly took to my senses and made a complete system image after innstalling Win7 and drivers.

But when I boot the Win7 DVD and try to restore using my backup located on a storage drive I get this message "The selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery enviroment
I am even told to "boot the computer from the disk". Wich I obviously have just done....

Any ideas people?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/getting-error-message-when-trying-to-restore-system-image-655643.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi,

i am unable to restore my pc nor unable to create system image the error code [System Restore Error Message 0x80042308] it for both creating system restore point and backing up files anybody please help.

Cheers
Trojan

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/62300-system-restore-error-message-0x80042308.html
Relevancy 70.95%

radio downloader program

Access was denied when attempting to copy the Radio downloader template database.
Check that you have read access to 'C:\Program files (x86)\Radio Downloader\store.db' and write access to 'C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\www.nerdoftheherd.com\Radio Downloader\spec-store.db'.

Does this kind of error look familiar? I've tried uninstalling and reversing the restore with no luck.

thx, dd8

Solved. with Revo uninstaller

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/430866/software-error-message-after-using-system-restore/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello There Not sure this is the correct place for this Hope someone can help though I wanted to play a DVD on my PC but the sound is all crackly and the video system error coming message up restore without Can't is acting slow It did Can't system restore without error message coming up not do this a few weeks ago but now suddenly it is Due to this I wanted to system restore my PC to an earlier time but this message came up - quot Changes made to drive s J after this point cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded from the System Restore Monitoring or was turned off or removed quot I have never received this message in the past Can't system restore without error message coming up when System Restoring Also I have noticed that the taskbar on occasion goes from blue to grey classic style by itself and will stay like that and change back to itself to blue again when it wants I have run my McAfee and no virus is detected Please can someone please tell me how to rectify the DVD and the System Restore and also the reason why the taskabr keeps changing by itself Kind regards Airmiles nbsp

Relevancy 70.09%

Hello all,

I had to perform a system restore on my netbook recently and since then I have been recieving error messages from HP Wireless Assistant. I thought this initially might be to do with Spyware so I have downloaded SpyBot and run the programme which found a few issues and dealt with them but the HP Wireless Assistant problem still occurs. I also have AVG Free edition and I have run this programme which had an exploit virus which it says it rectified.

The error is the following:

EventType : clr20r3 P1 : hpwamain.exe P2 : 3.5.9.1 P3 : 4a688586 P4 : mscorlib P5 : 2.0.0.0 P6 : 4889dc80 P7 : 1b2a P8 : c P9 : system.io.filenotfoundexception

I would like to get to the bottom of the problem and if anyone can help it would be really appreciated.

My Compaq Netbook runs Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002.

Thanks,

A:HP Wireless Assistant Error Message Following System Restore

This is a valid program, but it is up to you whether or not you want it to run on startup.Whether or not you need to run this program on startup must be decided by you. If you feel that you want this program starting automatically so that you have it available as needed, then do not disable it. The following information is a brief description of what is known about this file. If you require further assistance for this file, feel free to ask about in the forums. Name: hpWirelessAssistant Filename: HPWAMain.exe Command: %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe Description: Wireless application bundled with HP computers that allows you to control different settings on the computer's wireless devices such as Bluetooth and WLAN. File Location: %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe Startup Type: This startup entry is started automatically from a Run, RunOnce, RunServices, or RunServicesOnce entry in the registry. HijackThis Category: O4 Entry Note: %ProgramFiles% refers to the Program Files folder. By default, this is C:\Program Files. From Bleeping Computers user information -It just seems like the install/.exe file was not placed back when you did the reinstall - Note: Any file can become infected -Do you use Wireless or wired internet ?? If wired it is not required -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/324799/hp-wireless-assistant-error-message-following-system-restore/
Relevancy 70.09%

Over the past month or two I have repeatedly getting error messages from HP Support System and Other Message Issues Error Restore Windows Assistant telling me that Windows System Restore is Not Enabled During this same time I Windows System Restore Error Message and Other Issues have noticed some other odd things happening some I can't remember but one I do specifically remember is that every time I open MS Outlook and get this message from User Account Control Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer After I click yes then I always get asked to choose a User Profile even though there is only one profile I'm running Windows -bit as my OS with Zone Alarm Extreme Security for anti-virus firewall protection EDIT I'm now also having trouble connecting to this site but not others almost as if there is something in my computer that doesn't want me to get help Sounds weird I know but that's how it feels since it's only happening with THIS site Here's the error message I get when trying to navigate Bleeping Computer The connection was reset The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy Try again in a few moments If you are unable to load any pages check your computer's network connection If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web I appreciate any insight that can be offered

A:Windows System Restore Error Message and Other Issues

Anyone?  Bueller?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/567815/windows-system-restore-error-message-and-other-issues/
Relevancy 70.09%

so here's my problem my computer will not perform tasks it will start but gets stuck in the thinking process for example i am unable to system restore it gets stuck thinking trying to bring up the restore menu also if i click on any application in the start menu i can no longer access any others or type in the search box as the cursor disappears Much like the computer is stuck in thinking mode i can still open programs from the desktop and get on the internet and such but un able to perform tasks i message run or 16 system unable apps other error and to restore bit can't run my antivirus or install or configure updates as the computer gets stuck in the thinking process doing those as well as the start menu locks the only way to get the computer to shutdown or restart is via ctrl alt del however when i do click shutdown or 16 bit error message and unable to system restore or run other apps restart from there i get this message TOO MANY OTHER FILES ARE CURRENTLY IN USE BY -BIT PROGRAMS QUIT ONE OR MORE -BIT PROGRAMS OR INCREASE THE VALUE OF THE FILES COMMAND IN 16 bit error message and unable to system restore or run other apps YOUR CONFIG i tried to get into the config folder under system but am unable to access as my 16 bit error message and unable to system restore or run other apps user name is not the admin for some reason even though i am only one on comp when i click to make myself able to open file it gets stuck thinking i can still do other processes such as internet then as well but even leaving the comp to think for hours does not succeed the only thing i have installed today was a trial version of kaspersky anti virus but even when i went to install that the download going to the desktop never appeared on the desktop and the file name that was downloaded is nowhere on the computer sorry for the long post but any help would be greatly appreciated i am currently running vista

A:16 bit error message and unable to system restore or run other apps

nm, i was able to restore by using the f8 trick while starting up computer...all is good now and no problems.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/16-bit-error-message-and-unable-to-system-restore-or-run-other-apps-384382.html
Relevancy 70.09%

This is a rather convoluted mess - I ll try to make this is clear as I can Your patience is greatly appreciated I have had installed for many years on my Toshiba laptop a PopCap game called Bookworm Deluxe A few days ago I noticed a small box that would appear briefly just before the game loaded that said quot Fatal Error - unable to prepare game executable quot The game would load however and I didn t really Restore ability message no System and Error Fatal think to much about it Well now when I try to load the game I get the quot Fatal Error quot box appearing and that s it - no more game appears I have tried the following - I tried uninstalling the program Fatal Error message and no System Restore ability and attempted to re-install using the Bookworm disc I had purchased previously When disc loaded up there was nothing that would allow me to install like a quot run quot or quot execute quot file or run the install program - it asked me if I wanted to play the game I tried saying quot yes quot but that would bring me back to the quot Fatal Error quot box I thought that perhaps doing a System Restore might solve the problem and when I attempted to roll back my computer to an earlier time prior to having these problems I get a message that says quot System Restore did not complete successfully System could not access a file quot and it goes on to say further that it might be because of my anti-virus program running I have MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Pro installed and to temporarily disable and try again and further gives a unspecified error message of x I have tried running the system restore with both MS Security Essentials and MWB Pro disabled - but still I get the same message that System Restore did not complete successfully I checked to see if I could manually set a restore point and I am able to do that Here s where it gets really strange Since I was unable to reload the Bookworm disc I checked in my Recycle Bin and it was still there so I restored it from there Still couldn t play it and got the same quot Fatal Error quot message However if I go into Windows Explorer C disc Program Files PopCap games Bookworm and get to the point where I can see all the files I find files that say quot game quot One is dated and the other - the day all my problems began If I click on the quot game quot folder - it loads up the game and I am able to play it I am totally at a loss here - can t figure out what to do to solve this While I d like to be able to continue to play this game I admit that I m hooked on it I m more concerned about the fact that my computer is unable to perform the System Restore function and feel like there are potentially more serious problems at work here Any suggestions of things to try or explanations for what it is going on here I hope I ve explained this clearly and would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer nbsp

Relevancy 69.23%

So This no restore, Strange input usb now system error message, wifi or is a weird one Today I started getting a strange error message pop up that stated quot This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer Please contact your system administrator quot It seems to pop up at random Strange error message, system restore, now no usb input or wifi First couple times I ignored it When it persisted I googled it only to find most people with this error are having issues with links in outlook I do not use outlook or IE and wasn't doing anything browser related during any of the errors so lazily I ignored it again Finally when one of these errors kicked me out of my Portal game I decided I had to do something about it I decided to just system restore before I went through any huge hassle before I tried figuring anything major out System restore went swimmingly didn't seem to have any issues But My keyboard and mouse both wireless and usb weren't working upon reboot Okay Different port Nope All of them are dead Strange error message, system restore, now no usb input or wifi All Even the motherboard ones in the back NO usb device I plug in works or even registers To make it weirder I see that my wireless isn't connecting the internet is fine and my sound is muted Sound was on when I started system restore It's like all input into my machine is no longer accepted I know the CD drive works because inserting a CD even brought up the autoplay window even though I can't actually input anything I haven't messed with it too much as I'm very tired and annoyed but if anyone has some clues please tune me in

A:Strange error message, system restore, now no usb input or wifi

See if you can undo system restore by either:
- going into Safe Mode (rapidly tap the F8 key just before the Windows splash screen shows up.
- going into Startup Repair and using System Restore from there.

Also, try these free, bootable diagnostics: Initial Hardware Diagnostics

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/235751-strange-error-message-system-restore-now-no-usb-input-wifi.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Computer running extremely slow. Tried to do system restore but getting an error message that says "the creation of a shadow copy has timed out. Try this operation again. (0x81000101) - have tried again several times with no luck, Have read previous threads that say to clear restore points but am afraid that if I do this I will not be able to fix the problem had to begin with as i wont be able to go back to earlier saves. Would like to reinstall windows but the laptop came with it already installed so dont have a hard copy.

A:Can't do system restore - error message says "timed out"

Are you running an anti-virus software? If so, disable it before continuing.

Complete the following (taken from here):

Quote:
Verify if these two services are started and running on your computer. If it’s not started, start the services and check if you can create a system restore point.

a) Volume Shadow Copy service
b) Windows backup

Also ensure that their dependency services are running.
Verify if their dependency services are running.

You can check this information from services.msc. To do this follow the steps below:

a) Go to start and type services.msc in the search field.
b) Locate the two services.
c) Right-Click on the service one at a time.
d) Select properties.
e) Go to Dependencies Tab.
f) Note the dependency services.
g) Make sure they’re also running.
h) To start a service, right click on it and select start.

You should also try booting up your system in Safe Mode and then trying the System Restore.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/211399-cant-do-system-restore-error-message-says-timed-out.html
Relevancy 61.06%

trying to use restore disk.... coming up with a error message..will not restore
when in bios, computer shuts down after only a couple minutes but no other time.
I just want to get the computer working again...i want to get the restore disk to work

A:Trying to use restore disk. Coming up with a error message, will not restore

What is "restore disk"? Are you talking about system restore feature in Windows or a disk image backup utility or something else?

-- Andy

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-use-restore-disk-coming-up-with-a-error-message-will-not-restore.134948/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello everyone not sure why but I get an error every time I open the System Restore I rarely have to use a restore point as I regularly maintain my computer and check for viruses and malware but I would like to have the option just in case When I open System Properties and click the System Protection tab I get this error and am unable to create a Restore Point Attached is a screenshot and a DxDiag System Restore Error, Create Points to Unable Restore txt Any insight to this problem would be helpful perhaps I have some windows feature disabled that I might need enabled I am not sure I recently did a complete System Restore Error, Unable to Create Restore Points reformat of my hard drive and a fresh install of Windows maybe two months ago and somewhere along the line I must have removed disabled something I need for System Restore Even third party maintenance software is unable to create restore points such as TuneUp Utilities AVG Internet Security and UVK I'm sure the fix for this is simple I am just unaware of it Thanks in advance

A:System Restore Error, Unable to Create Restore Points

You have Tuneup Utilities? Have you looked at this?

System Restore Error 0x81000203 (Below solution at end of this mesage did not work)

Here is some other info as well including the Turbo mode problem

System Restore Error Code: 0x81000203 - Microsoft Community

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/337903-system-restore-error-unable-create-restore-points.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I have an error message: An error occurred while loading a file. AOL will attempt to restore the file. My emails, however, are affected. I have email icons without subjects. The emails do open but I cannot know what they are or who sent them prior to opening and I cannot download attachments, answer or forward the messages. This is a potential disaster if I cannot fix this quickly.

Any help appreciated.

A:Error message: An error occurred while loading a file. AOL will attempt to restore...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feetone

I have an error message: An error occurred while loading a file. AOL will attempt to restore the file. My emails, however, are affected. I have email icons without subjects. The emails do open but I cannot know what they are or who sent them prior to opening and I cannot download attachments, answer or forward the messages. This is a potential disaster if I cannot fix this quickly.

Any help appreciated.

ok your issue is aol....

if you need to use aol, go to aol.com you can check your email there via the web so you should have no problems with downloading or what not

now onto aol.... dont use it unless you HAVE to

contact aol for support for their program..

thanks
Wolf~

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/error-message-an-error-occurred-while-loading-a-file-aol-will-attempt-to-restore-285855.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie on this forum and this is my first thread. I just tried to create a restore point and ended up with this error:

Any help would be much appreciated.

A:System Restore- restore point creation error

By chance did you have a virtual machine running when you tried to create the restore point? If yes, try creating restore point without VM.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/117134-system-restore-restore-point-creation-error.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I tried to use restore in normal and safe mode and a bunch of diffrent restore points and i keep getting incomplete no changes to your system message. I made a new restore point and it works but only that one? thanks.

A:None of my restore points work I get incomplete no changes to your system message

Your old system restore points became corrupted. These don't always work, there is no getting them back. What is the issue your having that you feel the need to do a Sys tem Resotre?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/none-of-my-restore-points-work-i-get-incomplete-no-changes-to-your-system-message-398788.html
Relevancy 55.9%

hi newbie to all this,put in restore disc, now computer wont start stuck with safe mode startup screen,message says windows could not start because file \windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt how do i get out of this mess please?

A:restore error message

What's the make & model of the computer? What exactly does it say on this restore disc? Did you make the disc yourself? What OS is installed?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restore-error-message-581476.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi
I have a problem with my laptop where I keep getting these symnatic messages popping up everywhere.Tried to do a system restore but I have no restore points to click on. My computer runs on xp has Norton security and no set up disk never came with one.
Can someone help please?

thanks

Marcus

A:Have no system restore point, and symnatic message boxes popping up!!

Norton is not very good. My advice would be to uninstall Norton and install better security (check the security forum for the best security available - I use AVG 8.0 free and Zone Alarm.)

Norton is notoriously difficult to uninstall properly. So use this uninstall tool here:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/have-no-system-restore-point-and-symnatic-message-boxes-popping-up-306677.html
Relevancy 55.9%

My laptop is currently running Windows 10 Anniversary Update and I have the Windows Disc from which I have installed this window but now I have installed bunch of Apps and installed Windows Updates. I want to backup all of my Apps, Settings and Updates. If I ever install Windows 10 again I just don't want to install all those updates and apps again (I might not even remember all of the apps I have now) so How can I create a backup now so in the future whenever I want I can just restore back to this point? Should I create a System Image or System Restore (Restore Point) or a Recovery Drive or Backup and Restore (Windows 7) ? I don't know which one is the right for me because I have never done any Backup, Restore or Recovery. Please Help.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/444607-system-image-system-restore-restore-point-recovery-drive-backup-restore-win7.html
Relevancy 55.47%

i have a dell laptop C my uncle has not used the laptop for years because of viruses on it The laptop only has a external cdrom drive He does not have the original restore disc for it days ago for some reason he went into the BOIS settings and now he is getting a message at restart quot quot No Bootable devices-- strike F to retry error message cant and restart at restore?? boot F for setup utility quot quot When you press F nothing happens just the same message comes up So error message at restart and cant restore?? now he gave it to me I only have an old restore disc of windows xp from a old gateway computer Should this work for error message at restart and cant restore?? the restore I tryed it and pressed F and selected to rebot from cdrom the screen goes black and then nothing happens What is wrong What should i check in the Bois settings Can you use a desktop gateway restore disc on a dell laptop Am i doing something wrong Is there anything else i should try thanks to all that hellp nbsp

A:error message at restart and cant restore??

A Gateway version won't work on a Dell and it is illegal, anyway.

Check the settings for the hard drive. See if it is set to "compatible", IDE, or some other setting and try all the possibilities.

If all else fails, try setting everything to default.

Try pressing F11 at boot time right after the logo. There may be a recovery partition on the drive to restore Windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-message-at-restart-and-cant-restore.1027789/
Relevancy 55.47%

My OS is Vista, Dell XPS 420.
I have a WD My Passport Essential portable hard drive. I use this as my backup system. I am trying to backup some data from a previous hard drive...that failed.
When I try to restore, my pc tells me that it was unable to find that drive.
How can I find that drive (J) for my pc?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restore-backup-error-message.846531/
Relevancy 55.47%

Help After I rebooted my computer a Windows gone! system weird start menu restore message giving is few things occured Logining took extremely long time after a long time finally desktop appeared Windows start menu is gone! system restore giving weird message however my start menu bar was gone the icons on desktop are unmovable I can click on them and run them but cannot move them I have tried the following Ran spybot search and destroy - found nothing Tried to access housecall online virus scan and it doesn t work Since I Windows start menu is gone! system restore giving weird message don t have my start menu bar I can t even get to control panel so to access system restore I have to ctrl-alt-del and then click file-- gt run and type in cmd Once in command prompt i goto c windows system restore and type rstrui exe from command prompt Once I do that I get this message appearing saying quot System restore is not able to protect your computer Please restart your computer and then run System Restore again quot to me that doesn t sound right I tried it in safe mode as well and there is no start menu bar is there but I can t expand it its just a line at the bottom of the screen unlike normal mode however there is a hint of the start menu bar however I have to right click on it and goto properties and activate quot show quick launch quot then i can expand the start menu and I can actually click the quot start quot button I don t know what is wrong I can only remember that I installed adobe flash player and that was pretty much the last thing I did on the computer prior to this Please help as soon as possible as this happens to be the quot server quot computer at work and all the saved files are on this computer Other people on the network access their files saved on this computer Is this a spyware or malware of somesort I have been searching the net and found minimal help Any suggestions and help very much appreciated and not it is very time sensative thank you all in advance My msn messenger is email protected I would prefer to have help real time for this nasty issue if possible thank you nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

i have a dell laptop C my uncle has not used the laptop for years because of viruses on it The laptop only has a external cdrom drive He does not have the original restore disc for it days ago for some reason he went into the BOIS settings and now he is getting a message at restart quot quot No Bootable devices-- strike F to retry boot F for setup utility quot quot When you press F nothing happens just the same message comes up So now he gave it to me I only have an old restore message error dell laptop/ restore disc of windows xp from a old gateway computer Should this work for the restore I tryed it and pressed F and selected to rebot from cdrom the restore dell laptop/ error message screen goes black and then nothing happens What is wrong What should i check in the Bois settings Can you use a desktop gateway restore disc on a dell laptop Am i doing something wrong Is there anything else i should try thanks to all that hellp

A:restore dell laptop/ error message

Hello and wlcome to the forum!

Your Gateway restore disk is machine specific to the system that it cam with and most likely will not work correctly with the system that you intend to use it on. Dell restoration cd's are very close to an original XP cd, But in the cast of other manufacturers they work with that specific system only.

Flip the system over and look at the Windows sticker. Is it Home or Pro?
Are the numbers for the licence key legible?
25 digits.
If so write them down.

You can then use an XP cd from a friend to reinstall the OS.
The drivers will need to be reinstalled from the dell website.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/428694/restore-dell-laptop-error-message/
Relevancy 54.18%

I am getting error message doing an image restore to a new hard drive. It says "image was created on computer using EFI and the computer is using Bios." Not sure how resolve.

Have a windows image backup on external drive. Hard drive failed. Replaced hard drive nd formatted. Repair disc that I created did not work. Booted from the original system disc and asked to do image restore and get bthat error message. Image from same computer,
no changes except old drive pulled and new drive installed. Image restore from a MyBook via USB. Any ideas how to solve?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d23b4b16-e467-4ff2-a4fc-45e7ac88c4be/windows-7-image-restore-error-message-efi-vs-bios?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi..I just bought a refurbished computer. Its an HP Desktop Computer COMPAQ 6005 PRO Phenom II X3 3.0 GHz 4 GB 250 GB HDD Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit .

In order to install windows for the first time on this refurbished machine, I have to choose "system restore" at boot.
It starts to go through the process of installing windows, then I get this message : "Windows Restore Critical Failure. This can be caused by a missing Windows image".
Anyone know how I can fix this. I cant get into windows, because I first have to install it using the system restore. So the only computer access I have, is when it boots up.

I have tried to contact Newegg...which is where I bought it, but no luck. All repairs and service is through the warranty company...cant get in touch with them either.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-restore-critical-failure-error-message.1168506/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello every one Well i thought i knew something from computers but with this problem i am out of ideas Acer laptop G new mainboard worked for an month Then after starting up windows - bit get the windows logo and then i just get a black screen with mouse pointer that can be moved Non of the key combinations works non explorer non start nothing I have re-installed windows to and it worked for an hour but after the third time startup i got the same situation back I tried to flash the bios but the bios update from acer doesnt work wrong ROM filename message If i try to set the system back it says that there is no restore point as well in the old as the new installation I no up, after points message, BSOD start no restore error checked the register winlogon and that was all as Microsoft described BSOD after start up, no error message, no restore points What Microsoft more described about setting a new video adapter driver is not possible because the screen is black and nothing works Setting the BIOS back to default settings doesnt bring any changes ether Starting in safe mode got the same black screen With BSOD after start up, no error message, no restore points f i can get in repair tools and am able to open an command prompt but there ends my luck some how

A:BSOD after start up, no error message, no restore points

I tried this solution to, without any result
BSOD on startup after windows logo.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/350341-bsod-after-start-up-no-error-message-no-restore-points.html
Relevancy 54.18%

When I tried to use the program Pc restore on my DEll Vostro 1000 an error message came up and quit the program. And yes i was in safemode

A:Error message when trying to restore Dell Vostro 1000

Use your Dell Recovery DVD to boot the system or use the hard drive recovery partition (most systems = press F10 during boot-up).

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/error-message-when-trying-to-restore-dell-vostro-1000-a-461535.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello everyone I just came upon a very strange problem with my 7 trying to message point gives Windows restore error when create computer today I started it as usual ran a TuneUp Utilities check as I usually do and in the meantime was prompted by my iTunes installer to install a new version of iTunes I clicked OK on the install thing then all of a sudden I get this message from the HP Support Assistant Windows System Restore is not activated So I go to the System Protection folder to try to manually enable it but I get an error message that says an unexpected error occurred System restore has found an error try to run System restore again I do this a thousand times and the same message pops up So I run my Norton antivirus and SpyBot Search and Destroy The Norton search comes up empty but the SpyBot returns this Babylon Toolbar and Win Windows 7 gives error message when trying to create restore point Downloader bltu So I Windows 7 gives error message when trying to create restore point click to fix the problems and an error message pops up in SpyBot saying I'm not running it as admin so the problems can't be fixed Well my user account is an admin account Windows 7 gives error message when trying to create restore point the only one I have in this computer so there's obviously something very wrong here for it seems like whatever this is it's keeping me from executing whatever task may remove it I also execute sfc scannow from a command prompt and the returning message is that I cannot run sfc scannow because I'm not an administrator So I'm lost And I have no idea what to do to get it fixed Could anyone please help Thanks a lot

A:Windows 7 gives error message when trying to create restore point

Ok, nevermind. I obsessively looked for answers and came across this:
If you're having the same problem as me (not being able to create restore points and receving the 0x81000203 error message), try the following:

type regedit in your windows startup search bar.
then, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\swprv\Parameters
Verify if the ServiceDll value is: %Systemroot%\System32\swprv.dll

Then go back to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\swprv
Verify if the Start value is 2. If not, change it.
Restart your computer.
Then, when you try to create a backup or restore point, it will work.

Now, what does that have to do with the iTunes update download, the win32.downloader and babylon toolbar, I do not know.

Hope this helps someone else running into the same situation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/255968-windows-7-gives-error-message-when-trying-create-restore-point.html
Relevancy 54.18%

My iPod will not restore. I keep getting the 1437 error message. I have followed the apple instruction previously posted, done the.bat extension, uninstalled and reloaded iTunes put the iPod into disk mode, tried different cables, USB ports and even another computer, nothing works.

It had crashed and was re synching when my PC - Dell with Vista - crashed. Since then I can't do anything with it.

Any help gratefully received.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-restore-ipod-nano-error-message-1437.1021768/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,

I am presently running the Windows 7 Pro OS and I am continually having a problem creating a restore point. I receive the following error message:The creation of a shadow copy has timed out. Try this operation again. (0x81000101). I would appreciate any assistance given to help resolve this problem.

Thanks

A:[SOLVED] Creating a Restore Point Error Message

Error Code 0x81000101 displayed. -- Cannot create system restore - Microsoft Community

?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-creating-a-restore-point-error-message-879857.html
Relevancy 53.32%

So my laptop has a bunch of problems It started out as a virus infection then I found out more problems First of all thank you to Broni for directing me to the thread that tells me to run DSS I can t run a systems restore I get the x B error As well Systems Restore says that I ve never had a Systems Restore done before which I think is odd because I recall seeing Systems Restores created last time I checked maybe a year ago I also can t turn on Windows Firewall I get the quot Windows can t start the Mpssvc quot message Here s my AVIRA log Avira Free Antivirus Report file date December- - The program is running as a Windows of Error Error, bunch Firewall Restore viruses System and an unrestricted full version Online services are available Licensee Avira Free Antivirus Serial number -ADJIE- Platform Windows Vista Home Premium Windows version Service Pack Boot mode Normally booted Username me Computer name System Restore Error, Windows Firewall Error and a bunch of viruses ME Version information BUILD System Restore Error, Windows Firewall Error and a bunch of viruses DAT System Restore Error, Windows Firewall Error and a bunch of viruses Bytes AVSCAN EXE Bytes AVSCANRC DLL Bytes LUKE DLL Bytes AVSCPLR DLL Bytes AVREG DLL Bytes avlode dll Bytes avlode rdf Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes VBASE VDF Bytes Engine version AEVDF DLL Bytes AESCRIPT DLL Bytes AESCN DLL Bytes AESBX DLL Bytes AERDL DLL Bytes AEPACK DLL Bytes AEOFFICE DLL Bytes AEHEUR DLL Bytes AEHELP DLL Bytes AEGEN DLL Bytes AEEXP DLL Bytes AEEMU DLL Bytes AECORE DLL Bytes AEBB DLL Bytes AVWINLL DLL Bytes AVPREF DLL Bytes AVREP DLL Bytes AVARKT DLL Bytes AVEVTLOG DLL Bytes SQLITE DLL Bytes AVSMTP DLL Bytes NETNT DLL Bytes RCIMAGE DLL Bytes RCTEXT DLL Bytes Configuration settings for the scan Jobname Complete system scan Configuration file C program files x avira antivir desktop sysscan avp Reporting default Primary action Interactive Secondary action Ignore Scan master boot sector on Scan boot sector on Boot sectors C D Process scan on Extended process scan on Scan registry on Search for rootkits on Integrity checking of system files off Scan all files All files Scan archives on Limit recursion depth Smart extensions on Macrovirus heuristic on File heuristic extended Deviating risk categories APPL Start of the scan December- - Starting master boot sector scan Start scanning boot sectors Starting search for hidden objects HKEY CURRENT USER Software Classes VirtualStore MACHINE SOFTWARE Wow Node Apple Computer Inc NOTE The registry entry is invisible HKEY CURRENT USER Software Classes VirtualStore MACHINE SOFTWARE Wow Node CloneAD NOTE The registry entry is invisible HKEY CURRENT USER Software Classes VirtualStore MACHINE SOFTWARE Wow Node CyberLink NOTE The registry entry is invisible HKEY CURRENT USER Software Classes VirtualStore MACHINE SOFTWARE Wow Node FGUpdate NOTE The registry entry is invisible HKEY CURRENT USER Software Classes VirtualStore MACHINE SOFTWARE Wow Node Google NOTE The registry entry is invisible HKEY CURRENT USER Software Classes VirtualStore MACHINE SOFTWARE Wow Node Hewlett-Packard NOTE The registry entry is invisible HKEY CURRENT USER Software Classes VirtualStore MACHINE SOFTWARE Wow Node Microsoft AudioCompressionManager NOTE The registry entry is invisible HKEY CURRENT USER Software Classes VirtualStore MACHINE SOFTWARE Wow Node Microsoft Direct D NOTE The registry entry is invisible HKEY CURRENT USER Software Classes VirtualStore MACHINE SOFTWARE Wow Node Microsoft DirectDraw MostRe... Read more

A:System Restore Error, Windows Firewall Error and a bunch of viruses

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps.===Please download ComboFix from any of the links below, and save it to your desktop. For information regarding this download, please visit this web page: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofixLink 1Link 2* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your DesktopIMPORTANT....1. Close any open browsers.2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.3. Do not install any other programs until this if fixed.How to : Disable Anti-virus and Firewall...http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.htmlDouble click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts. When finished, it will produce a report for you. Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt Note:Do not mouse click ComboFix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stallNote: If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.htmlNote: If after running ComboFix you get this error message "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion." when attempting to run a program all you need to do is restart the computer to reset the registry.===Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet ServicesWindows FirewallSystem RestoreSecurity Center/Action centerWindows UpdateWindows DefenderPress "Scan".It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.Please copy and paste the log to your reply.Please post the logs for my review.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/478950/system-restore-error-windows-firewall-error-and-a-bunch-of-viruses/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello guys,
I have tried everything I found online and failed. I don't wanna do a clean install. I have attached the CheckSur.log. Please help.

A:Windows update error 80070002 and System restore error (Both)

I was getting that same error - and saying "cannot search for updates".

I tried the Fixit tool and command prompts - suggested by Microsoft - nothing worked.

I finally called Microsoft - 1 - 800 - Microsoft and they did a remote on my comp and the problem is solved, at least for now.

There is no charge for this service.

As for System Restore, make sure you have set a Restore Point.
Go to Start and type system restore.
Go to " Create a restore point".

See if your C drive says "on" and if not click Configure.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/309131-windows-update-error-80070002-system-restore-error-both.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi all Huge problem regarding permissions File Sys error system restore (0x8000ffff) error (-1073741792), on my massively unstable PC I try to run ANYTHING including File system error (-1073741792), Sys restore error (0x8000ffff) dlls with admin permissions and i get a nice little quot ding quot and error message regarding the relevent dll and File system error - including one just before I get to the logon screen think it was called quot WINMM dll quot which yes is quot microsoft mouse quot File system error (-1073741792), Sys restore error (0x8000ffff) but my mouse still appears to be working sooooo confused lol Also when i try to system restore I get an unspecified error code x ffff I don't get anymore info it just apparently can't do it All this came about when i started my PC up after changing installing NOTHING since it last worked perfectly and it randomly said the disk integrity of C GB kingston SSD running the OS but no installed programs had to be checked before several black screens of text whizzed by deleting and then repairing registry entries It has done this once before completely different symptoms but same root cause of this windows integrity checker thingy but i fixed it by transferring my account files to a new account deleting the old one and presto instant new admin profile with full permissions again but problem is what with nothing that requires admin status working I can't create a new account this time If anything seems unclear about what I've just written please ask and I'll clarify but I've been battling with this all day and need to get some rest befor I pull all my hair out Many thanks for any suggestions MC x

A:File system error (-1073741792), Sys restore error (0x8000ffff)

Why is your PC unstable? Has it always been this way?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/204877-file-system-error-1073741792-sys-restore-error-0x8000ffff.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi Running Windows XP Pro SP I keep randomly getting this error I found some information from that NT Remote Authority\System Message: error Call Error Procedure would lead me to believe that what I have is like the W Blaster Worm documented back then but after running symantec s specific tool to get rid of Blaster I ended up finding nothing Also I ve run many Malwarebytes scans Spybot Search and Destroy scans and iolo Anti Virus scans I know it s not the best but others seem to clash with my System Mechanic because it s set NT Authority\System Error Message: Remote Procedure Call error to work with the iolo one which all turn up nothing This has been bugging me for a few weeks now while I tried to find out what was going on when I had the free time to run these long scans At the same time my services exe and one of my svchost exe files are always running at about of my CPU each and it definitely seems related to the NT AUTHORITY RPC errors I m getting now Help with this will be extremely appreciated Hijack This Log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Tall Emu Online Armor oasrv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files D-Link D-Link RangeBooster N DWA- acs exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Common Files Portrait Displays Shared DTSRVC exe C Program Files Common Files Authentium AntiVirus dvpapi exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files iolo common lib ioloServiceManager exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Tall Emu Online Armor oacat exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C Program Files Common Files Logitech G-series Software LGDCore exe C Program Files Tall Emu Online Armor oaui exe C Program Files iolo System Mechanic Professional AntiVirus ioloAV exe C Program Files Tall Emu Online Armor oahlp exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Rainlendar Rainlendar exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files D-Link D-Link RangeBooster N DWA- wirelesscm exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files iolo System Mechanic Professional AntiVirus iAVEmailScanner exe C Program Files Windows Live Contacts wlcomm exe C Program Files Windows Live Mail wlmail exe C Program Files iTunes iTunes exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo ca R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Windows Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - BHO no name - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - no file O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Commo... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/nt-authority-system-error-message-remote-procedure-call-error.901568/
Relevancy 52.89%

here is what happens..
during anytime i use my pc, most of the time during game play my pc juz reboots without any notice or anything..
after every random reboot it shows an error "the system has recovered from a serious error"
it has happened a few times until 2day..
it has happened when i play fifa2007 or warcraftIII..
any1 know whats d course??
or any solutions pls..
i really need help..
this annoying reboot is driving me crazy..
cant even play a nice complete dota game on warcraft..

A:Error Message After Random Reboots: "the System Has Recovered From A Serious Error"

Check your Event Viewer (Start>control Panel>Administrative tools>Event Viewer) under the system area. Look for any "System Errors" or "BugChecks". Post the:

EVENT ID
SOURCE
DESCRIPTION

here to this thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/86483/error-message-after-random-reboots-the-system-has-recovered-from-a-serious-error/
Relevancy 52.46%

I m having a problem with my sister in law s computer Originally she had that annoying XP virus spyware which I think I managed to get rid of with Malwarebytes Anti Malware and System Mechanic Now I have a new problem After receiving a recent download from microsoft upon restarting I get the blue screen of death with this message STOP C a Fatal System Error The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of xc x x I can t get anywhere into Windows I ve done F F F everything I could think of without risking more damage since I m not trained for this I ve booted from the system mechanic CD with the Hard Drive recovery and while it said it found and fixed a problem it didn t fix this one I have no windows CD The computer is blue death C000021a screen Message System Error Process Logon Fatal Error of Windows a Dell and it s running Windows XP service pack with Explorer Heeeeeelp Other than the F keys I can Error Message blue screen of death C000021a Fatal System Error Windows Logon Process t get anywhere with this computer nbsp

A:Error Message blue screen of death C000021a Fatal System Error Windows Logon Process

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-message-blue-screen-of-death-c000021a-fatal-system-error-windows-logon-process.772043/
Relevancy 51.6%

I'm running XP Pro sp2 on a soyo dragon motherboard, AMD Athalon XP 2400 and 768 MB of Ram.
Whenever I try to open system restore I get the following error msg.
An exception occurred while trying to run "C\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDll" C\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"
Anybody got any ideas? I've got a clean system and would like to set a restore point.
Thanks

A:System Restore Error

Try reinstalling System Restore.Note: this will erase any prior restore points!You may need your XP Service Pack 2 installation disk for this. If your disk is not Service Pack 2 refer to the folder mentioned below.Go to Start then click Run...paste the following command into the Run.. box:rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.infPress <enter>If the Files Needed dialog box appears, click Browse and point to the i386 folder on the Windows XP CD or to the i386 folder on the hard drive, if it exists. For systems updated with the Service Pack 2 CD or Download from Microsoft, browse to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder. The retail version of Windows XP (SP2) also contains the latest version of the files needed. These are the files needed to perform the reinstall: FILE NAME:FILELIST.XMLRSTRUI.EXESR.SYSSRCLIENT.DLLSRDIAG.EXESRFRAME.MMFSRRSTR.DLLSRSVC.DLLSRVSVC.DLL SP2 VERSION #:5.1.2600.21805.1.2600.21805.1.2600.21805.1.2600.05.1.2600.21805.1.2600.21805.1.2600.2577When done, reboot. Check System Restore. If after reinstalling System Restore this error message is recieved, ?System restore was unable to start due to a missing Framedyn.dll. Please reinstall the application to fix this problem.? then post back here for further help.Credit where credit is due, the above info was found at http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/83147/system-restore-error/
Relevancy 51.6%

I decided to try a System Error Restore system restore after some problems last night initially I thought maybe an update had caused them but now I think perhaps the internet part was my isp I'd been getting false check your connection stuff from Secunia for a few days then it System Restore Error spread to Yahoo messenger which disconnected me and then tried to tell me something about changing proxy settings and checking my firewall I had intermittent connection issues Anyway I am no longer having issues really since trying the restore however it threw up a System Restore Could Not Be Completed error The number was the xc one I ran Malwarebytes and Eset and Avast Boot Scan to check for malware and appear to be clean Could it just have been due to the virus scanner like Microsoft's page said I read that those errors can occur sometimes but why besides malware How can I be sure it'll work if I ever need it again Computer is a Dell laptop about yrs old unsure of model name but it's current on Windows service packs

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:  List last 10 Event Viewer log  List Installed Programs  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
 Click Go and paste the content into your next post.
 Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/549203/system-restore-error/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,

I am trying to do a system restore on my dads computer for him but it keeps saying this: File is corrupted or unreadable 0x80070570 then I clicked run and I got another error called catastrophic failure ( 0x8000FFFF).

I need help on this. It is a rental comp so not sure he has any discs for it. I have tried 5 diff ways to get it to work but nothing seems to work, any help would be great as need it fixed asap.

Thanks

File corruption is commonly caused by a failing hard drive or faulty RAM modules.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-error.1034471/
Relevancy 51.6%

When I try ro run system restore an error comes up that says "an unspecified error occurred during system restore" and none of the files were restored. Anyone have any idea why this happened and a solution? Thanks your all the best!!!

A:System Restore error

welp- you could try turing off system restore, rebooting, truning it back on, creating a new restore point and seeing if it works then.
but you will lose all points you currently have -so if you need to restore a current point, nope, don't have any ideas...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-error.567965/
Relevancy 51.6%

When trying to start system restore I receive a message stating System Restore Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. Error signature shows AppName: rstrui.exe,
ModName: srrstr.dll. Tried system restore in SAFE MODE, same result. Any assistance please. Running Windows XP Home Addition.

Hi,

It look like the System Retore application has become corrupt.
I would suggest reinstalling System Restore

Tips Fixes & FAQs : How do I reinstall System Restore?
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-error.476564/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hey buddies techies I have a situation down here I am trying to create a fresh system restore point Well all the previous restore points are already deleted SYSTEM serious RESTORE error I type a name a restore name into the box and then this error message pops out System restore is not able to create a restore point Please restart your computer and then run System Restore again Click SYSTEM RESTORE serious error to expand I checked in my event viewer for system restore related errors sr and srservice It showed up errors SYSTEM RESTORE serious error in the following categories errors in source sr all with event id The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error xC while processing the file on the volume HarddiskVolume It has stopped monitoring the volume Click to expand The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error xC while processing the file filelst cfg on the volume HarddiskVolume It has stopped monitoring the volume Click to expand The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error xC while processing the file on the volume HarddiskVolume It has stopped monitoring the volume Click to expand The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error xC while processing the file on the volume HarddiskVolume It has stopped monitoring the volume Click to expand This is what i have tried out Turned off all the system restore on all drives restarted the computer and then turned back on but to no avail I tried to create a restore point from the safe mode but it shows only to quot restore the computer back to an earlier time quot and no option to create a restore point Do help me out with this problem Any kind of suggestions are welcome Thanking you guys in advance nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi guys,

im trying to run S R but i get an error thats says: (translated) : system restore has failed to restore the register. The restore point is damaged or is removed during restor.

Any idea to get S R working again. I dont have another restore point. And this one was made sunday.

thanks

A:System restore reg error win 7

Did a reinstall of win 7, solved it ( off course)

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/312397-system-restore-reg-error-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 51.6%

If I wanted to create a System restore point, or even look at the System Restore point tab under:

My Computer > Properties > System Restore

I get the error message:

"Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

If I press "Debug" I see no change in it.

Any reasons why this is happening?

Thanks for the help!

This is the only solution offered that I could find. It didn't work for everyonehttp://forum.pcmech.comMark

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/107888/system-restore-error/
Relevancy 51.6%

my system restore has an error see SS

A:system restore error need help

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Services. If Microsoft Shadow Copy Protection Service is disabled, set it to Automatic. Same for Volume Shadow Copy Service.

If this doesn't work for you you may find another solution in this Microsoft Answers forum thread:

error code 0x81000203__ - Microsoft Answers

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/225846-system-restore-error-need-help.html
Relevancy 51.6%

i get this error after rebooting

A:system restore error

Hi -

The error code shown in the screenshot is exception code 0xc0000022 = STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

System Restore has been denied access to the restore point(s).

Do you have a 3rd party firewall installed, e.g., NIS, N360, KIS, McAfee, Zone Alarm, COMODO, etc...? If so, remove it using the product manudfacturer's removal tool, if available. Reboot upon completion. Install MSE

Boot into Recovery using your Windows 7 DVD or via the HDD recovery partition and run System Restore from there. The recovery environment runs under the supreme user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM and should be able to bypass software restrictions.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/118022-system-restore-error.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello Since today I had some problems with my sound I could hear myself about times when I talked to friends Next to that there were some issues with my HDD These errors have been resolved by typing ''chkdsk R'' in CMD Restore. Error System Although it took hours to complete But after that I still had the sound issues Error System Restore. So I decided to activate System Restore Everything went well at the start of System Restore It rebooted my system initializes System Restore but after seconds it says the following ''System Restore is complete'' No way that can be done within seconds So I waited for the system to bring me back on my desktop and there I saw the following message ''System Restore has not been completed on C It could missing files or the drive is damaged Try chkdsk R to check for problems'' The following error code has been written x I am still afraid that there is something seriously wrong with the hardware of my system Error System Restore. I do hope I have informed you well about this issue Best regards Fluffyfluf

A:Error System Restore.

Hi

By reading the problem description you posted i strongly doubt your HDD is failed. Running check disk won't fix physical errors on the disc. It's just a tool to fix file system corruption. Taking 5 hour to complete checkdisk is another indication of a failinh HDD.

Proper way to test HDD is to run manufacturer's diagnostic tools. Please post a full spec of you system (Motherboard , CPU, HDD , RAM etc ). 

Download 'Seatools for DOS' from http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Burn the ISO to CD using 'burn image to disc' option.  If you are unsure read this guide :  http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201431en

Boot from the CD and run a full long test. If your HDD is a Seagate one it may offer to repair the bad sectors. Please choose skip instead. Post the result of scanning in next post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493831/error-system-restore/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have been trying to do system restore after my laptop crashed at work today. Unfortunately, system restore is the only option after I tried to reboot after the screen went blank and froze. Can anyone help and tell me how to resolve this error message in system restore? I have HP Folio Win 7 64bit.

Thank you

A:What is Error 1 in System Restore?

Try this, note the tip after the last step might require three (3) attempts
Startup Repair

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/318089-what-error-1-system-restore.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I just tried to do a system restore and got this error.....

Faulting application rstrui.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module srrstr.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00009826.

Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks in advance.

You will probably need to reinstall system restore.
Note: you will lose all earlier restore points.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-error.544700/
Relevancy 51.6%

My mom has a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 7. Two days ago she ran updates and began having trouble with websites she visits frequently telling her they do not support her browser. The odd thing is I tried a different browser and received the same message. Tried to run a system restore for her and getting this error message:
System Restore failed to extract the file (C:\) from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during system restore. (0x8000ffff)
Any idea what's going on and how I can fix t for her? Thanks in advance.
H

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2695585

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-c-from/0cb1e078-fbd2-4aad-97b6-4635a2509b4f

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-error.1114853/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello All .. i have big proplem with my labtop  i want to restore the os  what i'm doing is connect my ext cd rom and i insert ghost cd  he boot on the cd but i want to connect ext hdd dont show to restore system to labtop i rest the bios to defual setting but nothing changed  some moves could me restore my os to  7 x32 i boot ext cd rom and but my usb  and restart the lab it's restored completly but when i connect any thing the pc don't feel any thig (extcdrom-hdd-usb....) how to fix that please ??  BR , 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Error-With-Restore-System/td-p/5830408
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello all To start it off lastnight i had by accident deleted one of my folder's that had my iso game's saved I am currently running dual boot linux mint and windows ultimate Upon me regretting what I did with the folder I decided to do a system restore While the process was running correctly when my computer restarted it gave me choices one was to repair the system do to the fact that it could not boot it self up and the restore error System second was to ignore it and continue to booting in windows So I went ahead and rebooted normally into windows when I go to check my iso folder half the game's where missing I tried another restore point and when booting it gave me System restore error the same error message so I went ahead and just ignored the repair function and went into windows again and still the iso's where missing The crazy thing about this is when I booted the computer and ignored the error message the restore pop up box said that the restore was successful both times Does this error have something to do with me dual booting and the system can not read the disk correctly Since linux is the priority in my system when booting up

A:System restore error

If the ISO files were in a User Folder such as Downloads or somewhere like that, System Restore is programmed to avoid these folders so will explain why it hasnt come back!

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/125194-system-restore-error.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi, the only solution i have for this problem: http://www.techsupportforum.com//mic...sive-pics.html
Is to do a system restore, but now i have a problem when trying to do a system recovery.

I press F10 on boot up this should then begin the system recovery process. But i instead get this error message;

File \minint\system32\ntkrnlmp.exe
Could not be loaded
The error code is 14
Setup cannot continue, press any key to continue.

My PC then boots up as normal.

A:System Restore Error.

try a windows restore
it is best to stay in the original thread so anyone trying to help can see what has previously been tried

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-restore-error-101252.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi, My friend gave me his computer to look at,
he says he did system restore. when i started computer it says windows cannot open this file, File: MA101 Configuration Utility .lnk
Also all of the other links under the start menu for example under system tool all show up as they dont know how to open them
i click system restore so i can put it back to before he made this change and it says system cannot open this file
File: system restore .lnk

Can some one please help

Likely the shortcut is broken.Open a Run box and paste: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exeClick OK.System Restore interface will open.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/119663/system-restore-error/
Relevancy 51.6%

I am getting the following System Restore error:

A Runtime error has occurred. Do you wish to debug? Yes/No
Line: 148
Error: Object expected

If I hit yes to debug the computer hangs. Not sure I would know what to do anyway if it started to debug.

Any suggestions?

Relevancy 51.6%

"System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run System Restore again."

Yet another lovely error from out of nowhere

Obviously restarting does nothing.
Here is what I have tried:
1. Restarting my computer
RESULT: Doesn't work
2. Ensuring that System Restore is enabled.
RESULT: when going to the services under computer management the System Restore service does not appear on the list.
3. Googling for an answer.
RESULT: No Luck

I would like to avoid reformatting my computer if at all possible.
I cannot take files from the windows xp disk as my computer did not come with disks.

So throw some ideas out there.

A:System restore error

Boot into safe mode and then try a system restore !

~a

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-error.653483/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,

My laptop keeps getting a message on startup about a corrupted 'cng.sys' error.......and then it won't boot.

I dont have a recovery cd as this is an old work laptop.

However, i've taken the hard-drive out and trid to repair as an external drive on another laptop, i used 'chkdsk /r'.......but i still have the problem.

has anyone any other suggestions? thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/392533-cng-sys-error-after-system-restore.html
Relevancy 51.6%

System Restore unknown error x in eventlog My windows home premium x is in Dutch so maybe I translate System Restore error some error messages wrong -system restore points are created succesfully no errors and I can restore files to quot Previous versions quot When doing a system restore to any previous restore point it says something in dutch like quot initializing system restore quot and after some seconds it reboots System boots succesfully But when logging in something like quot system restore failed when scanning file system C The disk may be corrupt Perform chkdsk R and try system restore again quot See attached screenshot - chkdsk r f C gt no problems found - all restore points fail even new restore points - removed all restore points on all disks disabled restore points on all volumes enabled restore points - same problem in quot safe mode quot - Same problem in recovery console F at boot system recovery or something like that - restored system image using windows backup weeks old Same problem don't have any other System Restore error backups AFAIK recovery console has it's own mini operating system so doesn't use any other files on C-drive is that correct -C drive problem shadowset problem

Take a look here:
&#34;0x80070057&#34; error message when you back up files in Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/175588-system-restore-error.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I am running Windows XP Pro SP1 and have a problem with System Restore. When trying to launch the app I recieve the following error: Run a dll as an app has encountered a problem... Something is mentioned about the file srrstr.dll. I have found two instances of this file on my drive:
1. WINDOWS\system32 222 KB
2. WINDOWS\servicepackfiles\i386 221 KB

I installed SP1 months ago so I don't think that is the problem.

Check this out.
http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=e...ll&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search
The folder is hidden by default. Go to Start/Run and type in: control folders. View: Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-error.154118/
Relevancy 51.6%

i am trying to restore my computer to an earlier time but no matter what date i choose on windows system restore, it always says incomplete restore.

could anyone help me on this matter, also would anyone recommend norton go back 4 instead?

thanks

Relevancy 51.6%

Hey guys,

I have a friend who's computer keeps crashing so he's trying to run a systems restore but whenever he runs it, it stops after a little while and says that it cannot finish. Why would this be happening and what are some solutions?

I would really really appreciate any help on this issue.

Hello xStryfex and welcome to TSF. Have you tried running System Restore in Safe Mode? You also may have virus or malware problems which could corrupt System Restore. Run System Restore in Safe Mode, then run all of your virus, malware/adware tools before running system in Normal Mode.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-restore-error-262056.html
Relevancy 51.6%

System restore failed to extract file (d: \users\computer\downloads\back up from old machine \caprock securities backup\WA5PSetup.exe
The restore point was damaged or deleted during the restore

Where on earth is the restore looking for the file ?and why is it choosing a file I copied over when I upgraded the machine from xp to win 7 and not using a restore point.
is there a way to force it to use one of the 10 or so restore points it has saved.

P.S. I am doing this restore from the install disk as this is the main problem I am having
sony vaio vgc-rb40 mouse and keyboard dead after updates last week.

I did a chkdsk from command promt and I have done a sfc /scannow the chkdisk found a few errors in the files system ( empty space marked as data and corrected them but the sfc/scannow was clean

any ideas?

A:system restore error

This talks about the System Volume Information Folder on the HDD, part of System Restore:
System Volume Information Folder

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/351326-system-restore-error.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello,

I am getting the following error when try to invoke System Restore in Windows Vista Home Premium, Dell Inspiron 1525 Core 2 Duo 2 Ghz Processor.

"The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded. (0x80070565). Please try again."

Searching on net, I found different views but no concrete solution. If any one has come across this problem please let me know.

Thanks.

No replies from any Experts. Please provide your views on how to go about it.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/182479-system-restore-error.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Ok I m not a complete idiot or anything but lemme do a lil history of my computer setup before I say XP error... system restore anything about my problem I just think it s a necessary thing anyways I m running hard drives I have xp installed on both but for some XP system restore error... reason it seems to have made themselves dependent of each other meaning that one will not run without the other one Now that s all fine and dandy until one decides to fail so i replace the failing one no probs ok and make what was the master the slave to the new one What I did was just did a complete copy of the old slave into the new hard drive and made the new hard drive the master Still no probs until my old master which is now my slave I know confusing decides to fail Which also is not a big problem right now But for some reason everytime all of a sudden when I try to do a system restore I get an error message saying this System Restore Application has encountered a problem and needs to close We are sorry for the inconvenience if i send the report I m assuming it s sending the report but I don t get taken to the microsoft site to see if there is a fix to this now if i click on where it says To see what data this error report contains I get this AppName rstrui exe then the app version the Modname is mshtml dll Now I ve looked them both up and they both are connected to system restore duh and looked it up on the net the only site that says anything about it is one that wants you to sign up and pay a fee to see how to fix it Now I m not gonna lie I m a cheap heh so if anyone could help me it would be great Also I did it once before but I have forgotten how how do I get my hard drives independent of each other I know it has to do with the boot ini and the ntleader but I forgot I m not even sure that will work b c like i said before I ve done it once but over time it just seems that both hard drives miss each other and decided to get married again behind my back nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-system-restore-error.240287/
Relevancy 51.6%

I just noticed that System Restore which previously had some restore points now had none so I went to create one and got System Restore failed due to an unspecified error Cannot create a file when that file already exists x B I get exactly the same error if I try to disable System Restore too I ran a script to create one by subterfuge and it worked but I continue to get the same errors as above if I try to change any settings The VBS script is 'Manual Error System In Restore New Odd Restore Point for Vista If WScript Arguments length Then Set objShell CreateObject quot Shell Application quot objShell ShellExecute quot wscript exe quot quot quot quot quot amp WScript ScriptFullName amp quot quot quot quot amp Odd New Error In System Restore quot uac quot quot quot Odd New Error In System Restore quot runas quot Else Set SRP getobject quot winmgmts root default Systemrestore quot sDesc quot Manual Restore Point quot sDesc InputBox quot Enter a Description or Title and Click OK quot amp vbCr amp quot This script will take about seconds to create a Restore Point quot quot Paul's XP and Vista Tweaks quot quot New Manual Restore Point quot If Trim sDesc lt gt quot quot Then sOut SRP createrestorepoint sDesc MsgBox quot New Restore Point successfully created at quot amp quot quot amp Date amp quot quot amp Time amp vbCr amp vbCr amp quot This script was downloaded from www paulsxp com quot quot Done quot If sOut lt gt Then MsgBox quot Restore Point creation Failed quot End If End If End If The only thing I know for sure is that everything was working fine until this morning and I really haven't been anywhere or done anything untoward that would cause this I also know that space is limited on this drive so could that be a contributary factor

A:Odd New Error In System Restore

Dont know if this is the cause in your situation, but SR can be affected by a virus. The virus writers do not want their virus to be removed, so they remove the SR points to help prevent removal.
Run a full anti virus scan
Download and run a full scan with malwarebytes.
If that is negative try to disable in Safe Mode. Disable often causes the SR to work properly, as it is reset.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/297344-odd-new-error-system-restore.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Ok new problem decided to do a clean up of my pc deleted old system restore files Went to create a new one and now get this gt The restore point could not be created for the following reason error x goes from bad to worse on this frickin pc Event viewer Volume Restore Error VSS System Shadow Copy Service error An internal inconsistency was detected in trying to contact shadow copy service writers The Registry Writer failed to respond to a query from System Restore VSS Error VSS Check to see that the Event Service and Volume Shadow Copy Service are operating properly and please check the Application event log for any other events Operation Gathering Writer Data Executing Asynchronous Operation Context Execution Context Requestor Current State GatherWriterMetadata Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt - lt System gt lt Provider Name quot VSS quot gt lt EventID Qualifiers quot quot gt lt EventID gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Channel gt Application lt Channel gt lt Computer gt XPS lt Computer gt lt Security gt lt System gt - lt EventData gt lt Data gt Operation Gathering Writer Data Executing Asynchronous Operation Context Execution Context Requestor Current State GatherWriterMetadata lt Data gt lt Binary gt D F A D C D C C A D C D A D A D D A A C E F C D C D F F F E E D A E D A C C A D D D D D D D lt Binary gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt

A:System Restore VSS Error

ok this is the image I get before doing the scannow :

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7042/errordo.jpg

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/137095-system-restore-vss-error.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I am using Win XP sp 2. Whenever I try to load the Restore utility (start-programs-accessories-system tools-restore), I get one of those "send error report/don't send" messages. I've restarted several times, but nothing. Is there a way to reinstall this component without restoring windows?

Go here and scroll down to Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-error.403463/
Relevancy 51.6%

I seem to have some bugs these last couple days, I tried to do a system restore from earlier but it will not work, it keeps saying incomplete. Is there something interferring? I follow the directions, they seem easy.

Other than the system restore issue what 'bugs' are you talking about?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-error.234945/
Relevancy 51.6%

so i recently tried to restore my computer and when i clicked on it says "restore was unsuccessful and error is unspecified"

A:SYSTEM RESTORE Error

Could be a virus/malware. To start, go to Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware and download Malwarebytes. Install it, let it update, and then run a full scan. After the scan is done, remove everything it tells you to and restart your computer. Then tell me if you're still having problems.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293582-system-restore-error.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I keep gettin the error System Restore is Unable to protect your computer please restart your computer and restart system restore.

I looked on line and the best i foundw as to start it again in the admintool>services then hit start but then it give the error Could not start the system restore service service on a local computer. Error 3: The system can not find the path specified.

I thought that a reformat was supposed to start from fresh why did i get this problem?

Probably a virus... Disable System Restore from Control Panel, System

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-restore-error.58707/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi when i try to restore with system restore I get this error I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

system Restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point.

A:System Restore error.

That is a common problem. Looks like the restore point is corrupted. Try another restore point.

In the future make images. Those you control yourself. Imaging with free Macrium

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/353154-system-restore-error.html
Relevancy 51.6%

As soon as I try to load up the Windows XP system restore tool it immediately goes to an error box saying the program had to be shut down and gives some crazy error message that i cannot specifically remember since I am at work right now. does anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy this problem?

also, i am thining about restoring my system to factory settings by formatting the drive and using the restore disk... system performance has been crappy over all... anyways, i have a second hard disk and could i just move any important files i would like to retain to the backup harddrive? the system only came with one drive, will i have to reinstall the driversr from the 2nd drive after i restore? if i do

Relevancy 51.6%

DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by USER at on - - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic GMT SP Windows Defender Enabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C pop restore seeing keep system for error ups ACF Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k rpcss C Windows System svchost keep seeing error pop ups for system restore exe -k secsvcs C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k GPSvcGroup C Windows system keep seeing error pop ups for system restore SLsvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system rundll exe C Windows keep seeing error pop ups for system restore system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows System rundll exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe C Program Files Yahoo Search Protection SearchProtection exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Windows FixCamera exe C Windows vsnp uvc exe C Windows tsnp uvc exe C Windows vVX exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Windows system taskeng exe C ProgramData iXeCoRGTCNoNBmj exe C Windows System svchost exe -k Akamai C Windows system svchost exe -k bthsvcs C Program Files Microsoft LifeCam MSCamS exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Windows System svchost exe -k WerSvcGroup C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files Yahoo SoftwareUpdate YahooAUService exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger ymsgr tray exe C ProgramData DSS c Apgjk exe C Windows system SearchProtocolHost exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Windows system wuauclt exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Windows system DllHost exe C Windows system DllHost exe C Windows system REGSVR exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe Pseudo HJT Report uSearch Page hxxp us rd yahoo com customize ie defaults sp msgr http www yahoo com uStart Page hxxp www yahoo com uSearch Bar hxxp us rd yahoo com customize ie defaults sb msgr http www yahoo com ext search search html mStart Page hxxp www yahoo com mDefault Page URL hxxp www yahoo com mDefault Search URL hxxp us rd yahoo com customize ie defaults su msgr http www yahoo com mSearch Page hxxp us rd yahoo com customize ie defaults sp msgr http www yahoo com mSearch Bar hxxp us rd yahoo com customize ie defaults sb msgr http www yahoo com ext search search html uSearchURL Default hxxp us rd yahoo com customize ie defaults su msgr http www yahoo com uURLSearchHooks Yahoo Toolbar ef bd -c fb- d - f- d f - c progra yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper d -c f - efb- b - eca - c progra yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dll BHO AVG Safe Search ca f - f e- b -a e- e e c c - c program files avg avg avgssie dll BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - c - d -b f - bbc d a e - c program files microsoft office office GrooveShellExtensions dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dll BHO SingleInstance Class fdad da - a - fd - c - f ac - c progra yahoo companion installs cpn YTSingleInstance dll TB Yahoo Toolbar ef bd -c fb- d - f- d f - c progra yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll uRun Sidebar c program files windows sidebar sidebar exe autoRun uRun Messenger Yahoo quot c program fi... Read more

A:keep seeing error pop ups for system restore

Hello and Welcome to the forums! My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems. Somethings to remember while we are working together.Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!please Do not Attach logs or put in code boxes.Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can help also.Do not run anything while running a fix.Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!Click on the Watch Topic Button and select Immediate Notification and click on proceed, this will help you to get notified faster when I have replied and make the cleaning process faster.Please print out or make a copy in notpad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.Run Combofix:You may be asked to install or update the Recovery Console (Win XP Only) if this happens please allow it to do so (you will need to be connected to the internet for this)Before you run Combofix I will need you to turn off any security software you have running, If you do not know how to do this you can find out >here< or >here<Combofix may need to reboot your computer more than once to do its job this is normal.You can download Combofix from one of these links.Link 1Link 2Link 3 1. Close any open browsers or any other programs that are open.2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts. When finished, it will produce a report for you. Note 1: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stallNote 2: If you recieve an error "Illegal operation attempted on a registery key that has been marked for deletion." Please restart the computer"information and logs"In your next post I need the following
Log from Combofixlet me know of any problems you may have had
How is the computer doing now?Gringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/424109/keep-seeing-error-pop-ups-for-system-restore/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,

When I try to open system restore from the system control panel, I get the following error message:

An exception error occured while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"

Is there anyway to fix system restore?

Thanks for any help.
DBG

I found this while searching your problem on the following site - http://bertk.mvps.org/html/error.htmlSymptom:Error: I receive a RUNDLL error after clicking on the System Restore TabWhen I click the "System Restore" tab of the System Dialog, I get the following Error:RUNDLLAn exception occured while trying to run "shell32dll, Control_RunDLL"C:\Windows\System32\sysdm.cpl", system"Reinstalling System Restore will resolve this issue. Click here for instructionsFix: (from - http://bertk.mvps.org/html/body_tips.html#ReinstallSR )How do I reinstall System Restore?Warning: This will delete ALL existing restore points.Go to Start - Run and type %Windir%\INF then press enter. In Windows Explorer go to Tools - Folder Options - View Tab and uncheck ?Hide extensions for known file types?.Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select Install.Or simply type or paste the following command into the Start - Run box and press enter.rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf If the Files Needed dialog box appears, click Browse and point to the i386 folder on the Windows XP CD or to the i386 folder on the hard drive, if it exists, of for systems updated with the Service Pack 2 CD or Download from Microsoft, browse to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder. The retail version of Windows XP (SP2) also contains the latest version of the files needed.These are the files needed to perform the reinstall:FILE NAME:FILELIST.XMLRSTRUI.EXESR.SYSSRCLIENT.DLLSRDIAG.EXESRFRAME.MMFSRRSTR.DLLSRSVC.DLLSRVSVC.DLL SP2 VERSION #:5.1.2600.21805.1.2600.21805.1.2600.21805.1.2600.05.1.2600.21805.1.2600.21805.1.2600.2577Hope that helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/76112/system-restore-error/
Relevancy 51.17%

After solving "ntldr is missing" problem,I boot the computer.THen computer ask me to choose the operating system to start.Its screen displays following message:

select the operating system to start:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows
Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice

If I choose Microsoft Windows XP Professional,error mesages will appear as below:
STOP :c000021a{Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization System process terminated
unexpectedwith a status of 0xc0000034(0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down.

But if I choose Microsoft Windows,there will be message stating "Microsoft Windows I\O Error accessing boot sector file multi(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\BBTSECT.DOS".

What should I do to solve this fatal system problem? Does fixing "ntldr is missing" problem cause this fatal system error?
Thanks in advance

A:Error message:Fatal System Error

sub-forum: guides & solved issues

The above forum has information on how to use Recovery Console & Windows XP CD to restore the OS. Caution, I recommend full backup to a 2nd disk. Caution, don't enter 'r' to the first decision point. Caution: next decision made should not reformat the partition. If you have the ability to clone the hard drive, then you have a spare should recovery be re-done.

Other posts recommend configuring computer to a minimum: the boot hard drive, cdrom, and 1 memory module (256MB is the minimum for XP). This is an easier first step before reloading anything.

Caution: oem restore bombs you back to out-of-the-box conditions. All data & applications are overwritten. This is different from above restore.

You did not indicate what significant changes occurred preceding the problem. Is the hard drive entering old age? Was the disk re-partitioned? Were applications closing/freezing in the days leading up to this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-message-fatal-system-error.72314/
Relevancy 51.17%

ive got the message when trying to load xp pro windows root system32 hll.dll. what do i do can anyone help please

Relevancy 51.17%

When I boot up my computer I receive the following error message, how do I get rid of it.

C:\Windows\System32\msiefr40.dll

Relevancy 51.17%

i need some help i have the same thing worng with that system 32 problem but it say's i that i dont have system32.exe on my computer do i still do the samething u said for system32....?

A:System 32 error message

Hi seijuro_hiko

Welcome to TSG!

I have split your post off into your own thread and moved it to the Security foeum. In the future if you have a Question/Problem please start a "New Thread". It get's too confusing trying to address two different people's problem in the same thread and you may get overlooked.
Please do this. Click here to download Hijack This. Un Zip it and click on the Hijackthis.exe.

Click the "Scan" button when the scan is finished the scan button will become "Save Log" click that and save the log.

Go to where you saved the log and click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" then Paste the log back here in a reply.

DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required. Someone here will be glad to advise you on what to fix.

*Note: When you download Hijack This Do Not download it or UnZip it to a temp folder or to the desktop. Create a permanent folder somewhere like in My Documents and name it Hijack This and put it in that folder.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-32-error-message.210124/
Relevancy 51.17%

When I start surfing the net I get this error message EVERY page.

System Error!
Your system is infected with dangerous virus!
Note: Strongly recommend to install antispyware program to clean your system and avoid total
crash of your computer!
Click OK to download the antispyware.(Recommended)

I have ran Norton Antivirus twice and it finds nothing. How do I get rid of this MESSAGE?

A:System Error! Message

Probably need to delete the cookie inviting such...what programs do you use to find adware/spyware?In any case, try SuperAntispyware, free version (of course): http://www.superantispyware.com/Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/147062/system-error-message/
Relevancy 51.17%

I am really desperate so I hope someone can help me Guess I ll make a list of the many problems I am experiencing When I try to use the search function that is listed System and error message 32 on my start button the System 32 and error message screen freezes for a minute but I can still move the System 32 and error message mouse just nothing not even the task manager will respond and then I get no response at all When using various programs such as internet explorer or a video game or even nortons I sometimes get a message that says quot Run time error program C windows winlogo System 32 and error message exe this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way Please contact the application s support team for more information quot Everytime I start up my computer the stystem folder pops up and I have no idea how to stop this Sometimes my computer stops responding for no apparent reason and I have to hit the power and restart That is all I can think of for now Just to give a little background on my machine I took it to best buy and they removed the spyware adware on my computer ran a couple antivirus programs and removed viruses they downloaded all the latest drivers directx etc and they performed an internal cleaning They told me there was no hardware damage My computer is a compaq MB RAM Pentium ghz geforce nividia don t know if this is relevant but I guess if anyone can help me you guys will ask for the info you need nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

Hello all, I am new member and I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out! Please help me

Here is the wording of the error message:

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application. The windows registry or system.ini refers to this device file, but no longer exist. If you deleted this device file on purpose, try un-installing the associated application using it's uninstall or set up program. If you still don't want to use the application assoiciated with this device, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
C: PROGRA ~1\SYMANTEC/SYMEVNT.386

Since I bought Norton Internet security 2004, it has been a major problem. I have used the RNAV.2003 program to try and remove anything symantec on my PC. But for some reason, the problem is still here.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks.

A:SYSTEM.INI error message

Since you didn't mention what version of windows you use, i'll assume it's windows98.
In that case, check the autoexec.bat and config.sys files for symantec entries ( usualy those are left behind ) and put a rem in front of symantec entry
for instance if you see in the autoexec.bat file the following entry
C:\Progra~1\Symantec\Symevnt.368
put a rem in front of it, and it should look like this
rem C:\Progra~1\Symantec.....
Save and exit.
If that doesn't work , then use the search tool in windows and locate the System.ini file
Once you locate it, go are and open it up with notepad. Once open locate the C:\Progra~1 entry and delete it ( i recomend, making a backup copy of the system.ini file before anything else).
Save and exit ( make sure the file type will be " All files" not " . txt ( since notepad will try to save it as system ini.txt file.
HTH

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-ini-error-message.248483/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi, I have this message
16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
path to the program that you are trying to start or install
C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

so I went to Microsoft and followed their instructions, but then they said to creat this file, which I did, then paste it into this.

Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder

But I don't know where to find this.
Can you please assist me .
Thanks
Sue

A:System error message

Download and run this:

http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/xp_fix.exe

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-error-message.368260/