Windows Support Forum

Restoring old user settings after a Windows XP repair...

Q: Restoring old user settings after a Windows XP repair...

Okay it s kind of a long story so bear with me here A couple years ago I had a problem that required the reinstallation of settings XP repair... Restoring after a old user Windows Windows I originally had Home edition but during the repair the friend of mine doing Restoring old user settings after a Windows XP repair... the work reinstalled it using a Professional edition When this started I used the same user name as I Restoring old user settings after a Windows XP repair... had before John K For the longest time I had the option to run either Home or Professional but never bothered with the former I had to re-do a bunch of personal information but at the time I was just thankful to be able to boot up again Most of the files for that were under quot WINXP quot whereas the old ones were in the folder quot WINDOWS quot and ignored Just today I had to run a repair reinstall again this time using a Home edition installation again because that s all I had available While the repair was successful when it came up it defaulted to the user settings I had the last time I used Home and I think it s defaulted to the quot WINDOWS quot folder again At the moment in C Documents and Settings there s two relevant user files quot John K quot and quot John K STUFF- FDD quot The latter is all the settings and such from my time using Professional Edition When I go to quot Change Users quot there s just the one named quot John K quot I would very much like to restore all the settings as they were prior to the most recent reinstallation but I have no idea if there is any method whatsoever of doing so All my files and such seem to be intact but all my settings and shortcuts and bookmarks and so on seem have been essentially wiped clean And it would be very nice to not have to redo all of this manually My first instinct is to try transfer all the files from one user data file to the other but I have no idea what that would do and I m really paranoid about accidentally messing things up as it s been awhile since my last backup I ll be rectifying that as soon as I get all this sorted out believe me Could my solution be as simple as that I think that s everything relevant but it s highly possible that I ve left some important detail out without being aware of its importance I would very much appreciate any and all help with this matter Thanks for your time nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Restoring old user settings after a Windows XP repair...

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Restoring old user settings after a Windows XP repair...

Do you have an external drive and imaging software (ie Acronis)?
If so, I would recommend creating an image of the drive (Windows) in it's current state.
Then, you can troubleshoot to restoring your settings (as possible), and in a worse case scenario you
have a backup to restore in case you "mess something up."

I think that you are pretty much "stuck" with the current XP Home
settings since you did a repair install. You will most likely need to manually transfer the files that you need and manually restore the settings. Since you did the repair with Home, you will have certain limitations that you may not have had with Professional.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restoring-old-user-settings-after-a-windows-xp-repair.905045/
Relevancy 106.64%

Okay it's kind of a long story so bear with me here A couple years ago I had a problem that required the reinstallation of Windows I originally had Home edition but during the repair the friend of mine doing the work reinstalled it using a Professional edition When this started I used the settings Windows old Restoring user XP repair... a after same user name as I had before John K For the longest time I had the option to run either Home or Professional but never bothered with the former I had to re-do a bunch of personal information but at the time I was just thankful to be able to boot up again Most of the files for that were under quot WINXP quot whereas the old ones were in the folder quot WINDOWS quot and ignored Just today I had to run a repair reinstall again this time using a Home edition installation again because that's all I had available While the repair was successful when it came up it defaulted to the user settings I had the last time I used Home and Restoring old user settings after a Windows XP repair... I think it's defaulted to the quot WINDOWS quot folder again At the moment in C Documents and Settings there's two relevant user files quot John K quot and quot John K STUFF- FDD quot The latter is all the settings and such from my time using Professional Edition When I go to quot Change Users quot there's just the one named quot John K quot I would very much like to restore all the settings as they were prior to the most recent Restoring old user settings after a Windows XP repair... reinstallation but I have no idea if there is any method whatsoever of doing so All my files and such seem to be intact but all my settings and shortcuts and bookmarks and so on seem have been essentially wiped clean And it would be very nice to not have to redo all of this manually My first instinct is to try transfer all the files from one user data file to the other but I have no idea what that would do and I'm really paranoid about accidentally messing things up as it's been awhile since my last backup I'll be rectifying that as soon as I get all this sorted out believe me Could my solution be as simple as that I think that's everything relevant but it's highly possible that I've left some important detail out without being aware of its importance I would very much appreciate any and all help with this matter Thanks for your time

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restoring-old-user-settings-after-a-windows-xp-repair-463779.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi all I hope someone can help me restore usability to my XP SP installation on my Dell refurb I've lost my original user and program settings after a repair installation It all started when the user told me they had an event using Firefox that necessitated rebooting their computer Upon restarting they got a black pre-Windows screen indicating that the SYSTEM file was not going to work I wished I copied the wording I didn't I tried booting off original repair XP didn't preserve my user/settings...HELP! Windows a Windows XP SP slipstream disc that I use for these occasions went to the repair installation option not the Recovery Console initially but the XP system could not be found just the partition Next I went into Recovery Console to see what registry hive files were in the CONFIG folder All five were there - SOFTWARE SYSTEM DEFAULT SAM and SECURITY - plus one called SYSTEM SAV with smaller size and much older file date I tried backing up these five files to a TMP directory but the SYSTEM file could not be copied I renamed SYSTEM as SYSTEM bak and SYSTEM SAV as SYSTEM but that didn't help reboot or recognize as a working system as again I tried doing a repair install Windows XP repair didn't preserve my original user/settings...HELP! from CD Next I found similarly named files in the REPAIR folder except the SYSTEM file was not there just one called SYSTEM BAK I copied all five of those files to the CONFIG folder having backed up the original five files minus SYSTEM which wouldn't copy I renamed SYSTEM BAK from the REPAIR folder as SYSTEM once it was moved to the CONFIG folder When I booted this time I got a blue screen of death after the Windows splash screen After this I booted using F to get the options at the bottom of that screen it said that lt Windows root gt system ntoskrnl exe was missing or corrupt I booted to recovery console and ntoskrnl exe seemed to be there but didn't try to reinstall it from disc - perhaps I should have The last thing I tried leading to this problem is that I booted off CD and went through the repair installation of the now listed Windows XP Professional system I chose R and let it do its thing It prompted me once about regional settings It seemed to progress maybe a little quicker than usual However after the whole process was over it was booting Windows as if for the first time asking me for user IDs and giving me the chance to learn more about XP Now Windows XP starts but when I look at Users in control panel I just have Admin and Guest - my original user account is not there However the programs that were installed are still listed they don't work quite right yet either prompting me for licenses or other issues such as Net Framework which I can describe later Also the C drive still contains the folders associated with the original user that I'm trying to restore which I backed up again to make sure The Outlook data files are there too Can anyone guess or suggest what my next step should be if I hope to restore functionality to this system sooner rather than later or never I'm about to go through Windows updates of which there are many pending I've thought about hunting for other registry hive files to restore or in a different combination By the way the Windows Restore doesn't show any previous restore points

A:Windows XP repair didn't preserve my original user/settings...HELP!

The registry hives in the Repair folder are placed there during the initial XP install. If you used those hives then no program installed after the XP install would work. 

Do you still have the initial registry hives in config you backed up? Put those back in config. If not then you would need to reinstall all programs.

Look in the hidden folder System Volume Information.Is there a folder named restore with a long suffix. Double click it. Do you see any folders with a RPXX name where XX is a number?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587896/windows-xp-repair-didnt-preserve-my-original-usersettingshelp/
Relevancy 74.82%

Hello all I recently did a repair install using this set of instructions however because the laptop I was fixing is not mine I did not have the admin password so I used this site to reset profile install after repair Restoring user it to BLANK I also reset the main user's password to BLANK While in the Recovery Console I copied the required files ran chkdsk r and the system was ok However the first thing I see now is an Restoring user profile after repair install admin account The old user profile is gone-- the files are still there in C Documents and Settings olduser all intact I used these instructions to attempt to restore it by creating newuser except instead of using Copy To I manually copied the Documents and Settings folder from olduser to newuser As I said the files are safe but the installations are not-- Windows Installer Word Photoshop and a whole bunch of olduser's folder now give me some form of error msg that essentially says quot this installation was for the old user application will now shut down quot This means of course that even attempting to copy Windows Installer to it using a USB doesn't work since it won't recognize a USB It can read CDs well enough though so my plan right now is to go out and buy a whole bunch just ran out then add whatever is missing one by one I spoke to the owner so I'll be receiving the installation CDs in case I do format but like I said that's a last resort What I want to do now is to avoid making a backup formatting what was the point of repair then and reinstalling everything I want to restore olduser and all its settings etc By the way I also have a restore point from directly after the repair so I can undo all the changes of creating a new user if needed Please help Not sure if an HJT log would be helpful I can't copy it right now anyway but here are the system specs from it Quote Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal From System Properties Quote WinXP Home Edition version SP Registered to Your User Name Your Organization Name Many thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restoring-user-profile-after-repair-install-297034.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Greetings!
I am replacing an old WinXP PRO machine with a newer puppy, also a WinXP PRO machine. The original machine has multiple user accounts. I have backed up everything to a remote drive. Can anyone offer the proper protocol to follow to ensure that all of the new user accounts are restored?

Thanks,
Pradhan

A:Protocol for restoring user settings

I'm not too sure about user accounts, but Windows has a utility "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" (Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools). You should be able to migrate your current setup across to the new machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/protocol-for-restoring-user-settings.708811/
Relevancy 74.39%

After a trip with my notebook, upon startup W2K informed me that my user settings file was corrupted and, of course, I got a generic W2K screen anew, as if I were starting for the first time...no passwords, no favorites in Explorer etc.

Fortunately (perhaps) I just backuped my system files the day before. My question is, are the user settings saved with the system backup option and therefore restorable? If so, can they be selectively restored or do I have to restore the whole puppy?

Thanks,
Pradhan

Relevancy 65.36%

hello first im not sure if installed settings, user programs etc. a vista tried repair install lost - to do my thread is in the right area i didnt find one which fits better - please move if its placed tried to do a vista repair install - lost user settings, installed programs etc. wrong here yesterday i created a new vista dvd with vLite because my windows folder was too big after that i tried to do a quot tried to do a vista repair install - lost user settings, installed programs etc. repair upgrade install quot like explained in this tutorial - Repair Install For Vista as it turned out it went completly wrong i reinstalled vista on C and the old version was moved to the folder Windows old obviously not that what i want to accomplish so now im online with a new user account - quot lost quot the user settings from my old user account the programs are not quot installed quot anymore here is a small comparison of my situation - on C i got now a new fresh windows and the old version in the folder in Windows old - Windows old contains -- my old user settings -- my old programms installed on C not a big deal because i installed almost all programms on E --- gt other problem see below -- the old windows folder himself - as mentioned above i installed almost all programms on E - obviously they are still there but they are not quot installed quot anymore so here are my key questions is there an easy was to transfer my old user settings to the new one is there an easy was to quot install quot all the programms on E without reinstall all per hand eg about registry import or something like that i hope it is clear what my problems are - english is not my native language

A:tried to do a vista repair install - lost user settings, installed programs etc.

Hi there Tazz! Boy! thats a challenging fix that u r in!

Firstly, let me tell you that your decission to install programs on other drive *may* have saved you some of the trouble... Just try running their exes... Some programs just recreate their registry keys, but you will need to re-enter any serial nos. that the software requires.

Some s/w on the other hand *require other components* to be installed in order to run; like for example MS Visual C++ Redistributible. In this case, you can just download other components so that your programs can work.

Sorry, but unfortunately I will not be able to help you with anything else. Will post back If I dig up something else

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/183381-tried-do-vista-repair-install-lost-user-settings-installed-programs-etc.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi there people i asked a question on here a while ago and was given windows settings xp and factory restoring some excellent advice Any way just recently i gave an old-ish guy an old Toshiba laptop running Windows XP with a G dongle to get him started All went well for a while However i recently uninstalled the G dongle whilst doing some work on the laptop and was trying to install a vodafone dongle Now neither dongle will reinstall Second problem i have is i want to reset the laptop to factory settings I E out of the box i dont have windows xp and restoring factory settings anysoftware to do this does anybody know of a way this could be done I know you guys are really busy but also an invaluable source of help Any help would be soooo greatly appreciated windows xp and restoring factory settings Thanks pete P S restoring to factory settings is the most important if the other questions cant be answered I just want to hook up an old guy with the outside world thats just my way of doing something nice for a lonely man nbsp

A:windows xp and restoring factory settings

Is there a restore partition on this laptop?
What's the model number?
You may be able to use an XP disk of the same type(Home or Pro) to reinstall, using the Key that should be affixed to the computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-and-restoring-factory-settings.913650/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello nbsp Please somebody help becuase I dont loop restart, repair even after at restoring stuck Windows... know what else to do stuck at restart, repair loop even after restoring Windows... I ve expenden days trying to fix nbsp and we need our notebook back to work urgently nbsp By some reason the notebook get stuck in a black screen after hibernating or restarting nbsp LOOP nbsp Switching power button it enters in a automatic repeir process I try to correct this with CHKDK f r and this allow me to log on windows I installa new antivirus clean the system and reboot But after shutdown it gets stuck nbsp in the black screen Back to LOOP nbsp This loops occurs for every solution I have tried - removing trojans temp files - changed the beahvior of power button to avoid hibernating- Automatic repair boot repair- nbsp Automatic repair restoring rescue point- Fixen MBR and bleep SFC CHDSK DISM - Booting from USB not recognized nbsp - Restonring System failed when the instalaton try to restart guess nbsp what nbsp it gets stuck nbsp in the black screen It gets WORST it gets on loop I get the message windows instalation failed restart instalation press OK and again enters in the loop nbsp message - gt restart Now the system recovery option from the BOOT menu power ESC send me to the windows installation loop not the recovery menu with many options nbsp nbsp After all this I though it could be a hardware problem maybe overheating because this is a warm city Or maybe problems with the cooler nbsp nbsp Please any idea I ve tried everything I saw on the internet nbsp nbsp

A:stuck at restart, repair loop even after restoring Windows...

Hi, How about updating the BIOS of the computer?Make sure to run ONE antivirus program only.Go to start menu and start diagosing the drive (for failure id) Kindly update us with the current status of the computer.Cheers!

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/stuck-at-restart-repair-loop-even-after-restoring-Windows/td-p/5766738
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi. I recently recovered my files and programs from the Windows Repair Rogue using the helpful tips from this Forum, but my Start Menu wasn't completely restored. I'm able to see my programs, but I can only see the "Computer" link on right in the links section. All the other links are missing (i.e. control panel, help & support, etc). I have attached a picture of how my Start Menu currently looks. Was wondering if anybody can help me fix this.

Thanks!

A:Restoring Start Menu from Windows Repair Rogue

How to Reset Start Menu Settings to Default in Windows 7
http://www.dkszone.net/how-to-reset-start-menu-settings-to

You can also check "Store and display recently opened (items/programs)"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/425310/restoring-start-menu-from-windows-repair-rogue/
Relevancy 61.92%

Having completed a system recovery On my HP Pavillion Running Vista Home Premium, I was able to save the DBX files from my old Windows mail.
I'm now trying to import them back, but cant find ANY information how, or where they belong.
Everything seems to refer to importing Outlook Express 6 files into Windows Mail, or windows Mail 7
This is simply The old Vista Windows mail files, replacing the same version, Vista reformatted ones.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/restoring-windows-mail-account-settings.192850/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have a Windows XP Desktop computer that is a Compaq Presario a [SOLVED] CD to Settings Recovery Without Factory Restoring XP Windows I have had since It has had several viruses and spyware on it throughout the years But I would always use this trick to restore it to its factory settings without a CD I would turn it on and hold the quot F quot key or quot F quot it's been a while I forget And then I'd select quot Destructive [SOLVED] Restoring Windows XP to Factory Settings Without a Recovery CD Disk Recovery quot And I would follow the steps testing speakers selecting an antivirus etc Once I did this it would run like a charm Brand new Fast and clean I have another [SOLVED] Restoring Windows XP to Factory Settings Without a Recovery CD Windows XP Home Edition computer [SOLVED] Restoring Windows XP to Factory Settings Without a Recovery CD but this one is an ACER Laptop computer And it is not working the same I've tried holding F F F F none of these buttons give me any options It just goes straight to windows F however does but not the options I need It only has system restore Which isn't the factory settings thing that I want And it has a few other options like running in safe mode etc My question is Is there any way to reinstall the Operating System on this laptop without buying a Windows XP installation disc Do they even sell those anymore

A:[SOLVED] Restoring Windows XP to Factory Settings Without a Recovery CD

If you're trying to restore your laptop back to the factory install or 'how it was when you got it' then follow these simple steps. (WARNING: The following process will COMPLETELY erase ALL the data on your laptop, please make sure you have backed up everything you don't want to lose before proceeding!)

Step 1. Switch your laptop on.

2. After a few seconds the screen will clear and the text with RMR will appear at the top left of the screen for a few seconds.

3. Hold down both the shift keys while RMR is displayed.

4. In the enter password box, type the password rmrcfp and press enter.

5. A blue screen with a menu will appear. Press R on your keyboard to: RESTORE FROM BACKUP(using extended memory) .

6. When asked if you want to verify the backup, press Y on the keyboard. This will verify that the back up is intact.

7.When asked if you want to restore your computer to the factory default press Y to do so.

8. Once the restore is complete, you will get a prompt: "you must reset your computer now!"

9. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del simultaneously.

10. The computer will restart, once restarted do not touch the computer or mouse as the windows is being configured and may restart itself several times.

11. Once the shutdown button appears wait until the disk activity light slows from rapid activity to occasional flashes.

12. Now click Shutdown.

After it shuts down leave it for 30 seconds and then you are free to use it. It will start up as it did when you first got it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-restoring-windows-xp-to-factory-settings-without-a-recovery-cd-570898.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I m trying to reset this computer Home. settings Help restoring Windows for XP security default back to its default security settings due to the fact it got owned by a virus I ve gotten the trojan off the computer but it set a bunch of policies on the computer and now I can t run install quite a few programs It would be much easier if I could just edit the group policies via gpedit msc but since its XP Home it doesn t have it built in I went through all the places in the registry I thought the policies would have been set but I couldn t find anything What I m trying to do now is reset the computer back to its Help restoring default security settings for Windows XP Home. default security settings by going to Run and typing MMC When the console pops up I click File then Add Remove Snap-in and click Add and your supposed to add Security Configuration and Analysis but I don t have that option to select from the menu If I could add this in I should be able to just load the setup security inf and reset the computer back to its default settings I ve tried quite a few other things today but I am starting to run out of options Any help would be awesome thanks

A:Help restoring default security settings for Windows XP Home.

You could try running SDFix. As a malware scanner I think it is quite out-of-date, however it will reset a lot of the registry items back to their default value as part of the scan.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/288229/help-restoring-default-security-settings-for-windows-xp-home/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hey there Apologies for opening a second topic but the guy who is very kindly helping me with the initial problem says he does not know about Restoring hard files disk from and potential 'Windows.old' settings failure? - file restore Here is my original topic which is still open and unresolved as yet http Restoring files and settings from 'Windows.old' - potential hard disk failure? www bleepingcomputer com forums topic html page view findpost p fromsearch Basically I have had to install a new Windows Vista on my machine and all my files and settings have been saved in a folder called Windows old Basically I could not boot up my machine without getting a BSOD - whether it s was normally or even in Safe Mode The problem began when I got some Malware on my machine and it would not allow me to open files off my second hard drive which had no OS installed on it without giving an error message and saying I needed to download Windows something or other to defrag and repair the disk Much to my shame it looked legit but I quickly realised it wasn t So I uninstalled the program and then tried to run Combo Fix to clean things up I ve used CF s of times before and never had an issue Anyway CF asked if I wanted to update so I did and then it began doing its thing However an error message appeared saying there wasn t enough disk space to create a restore point and then it restarted and that s when the BSOD issue started The error was STOP x E and then it began a crash dump which took a few seconds before the machine rebooted The way I fixed this was be reinstalling Vista I followed some steps on Microsoft about restoring from Windows old but when I did the BSOD error reappeared Also the machine is not picking up my second hard disk where the malware was originally found It is an IDE hard drive connected to a SATA MB with a coverter and has worked fine for three years now with no issues I d be very grateful for any help on either problem

A:Restoring files and settings from 'Windows.old' - potential hard disk failure?

Too much confusing information for me to follow, so let me just say this. If there was malware on your system and you did not format before reinstalling the OS, you did not get rid of the malware. You might want to post in the malware forum(s) on this site.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/380390/restoring-files-and-settings-from-windowsold-potential-hard-disk-failure/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi All,

So I have a little bit of a problem that I've tried to fix myself but got nowhere. I was given a Dell Vostro 220 running Windows 7 Enterprise (I assume 64bit) that has university settings all over it. Basically, I can't log in because I would need a university account and would have to be connected to the university server.

That's really all I can get out of this computer. I'd really like to be able to log in and just use it, but I can't because of the Enterprise settings.

So, if anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate a hand.

Thank you!

A:Restoring Dell Vostro running Windows 7 Enterprise to factory settings

Hmm, that is a bit of a problem. Unfortunately the Win7 Enterprise download was closed. So you cannot get an iso. Unless you have a recovery partition on the PC, it will be difficult. With a recovery partition it would be easy.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/353822-restoring-dell-vostro-running-windows-7-enterprise-factory-settings.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all I hope you can help me out here My girlfriends laptop BSOD D c a error earlier this week so I take a look and was unable to fix the problem so I reinstalled XP hoping to get a fresh start not repair can failed settings detect windows tcp/ip to and go from there The reinstall went perfect except for now her laptop windows can not repair failed to detect tcp/ip settings will not access the internet even though it says it s connected IT S DEAF OH NO I tried resetting winsock even followed the windows directions to a T and reinstalled the tcp ip settings and its the same problem when I type ipconfig in command prompt it says quot windows ip configuration I need to access the internet so I can update all her drivers and get her ol laptop back up to snuff before she head back to school sunday I would appreciate it if you guys can help me here heres all the stats XP pro SP wont connect to the internet even though it says its connected when trying to repair connection the following is displayed quot Cannot continue repair failed to detect tcp ip settings quot no IP address not sending or receiving any data packets when IPCONFIG is inputted quot windows ip configuration quot is displayed Tried winsock repair Reinstalled tcp ip setting via windows prompt while repairing winsock I can provide any other computer info just ask I just hope its not P E B K A C gt gt

A:windows can not repair failed to detect tcp/ip settings

what is the laptop brand and model number.
You probably need to connect to the mfg drivers page from your computer and download the drivers, burn to cd or save on a flash usb key and install on the laptop.

Laptops usually have a recovery cd or dvd set or a partition that has the recovery files on it.

What did you use to reinstall xp?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/274518/windows-can-not-repair-failed-to-detect-tcpip-settings/
Relevancy 55.47%

I own a Gateway PC yrs old that never experienced crashes or hardware issues yet lately in fact since the Heartbeat virus hit even though I directly downloaded the fix from Programs Settings Vista and Repair Windows Microsoft my system is not working Windows Vista Repair Settings and Programs as normal I have experienced errors such as Windows Update ERROR X not working Intel remoting Service stopped working Error x Interface not registered BLUE SCREEN SHUTDOWN Insufficient System resources exist to complete the requested service Error Code x aa SUPER FETCH NOT RUNNING and definitely Windows Explorer needs to be repaired but this tech states to permanently remove any version of IE and download Mozilla Firefox as the default browser at http seaboltcomputerrepair appspot com why-internet-explorer-is-bad html PLEASE HELP I have repeatedly done STARTUP REPAIR WITH WINDOWS VISTA INSTALLATION DISK-CHECK HARD DISK FOR ERRORS-cmd-SFC SCANNOW as a novice I use MR FIXIT TROUBLESHOOTER PROGRAM from Microsoft com but still have operational performance problems Is there a repair utilities program that s safe that I can download and have all repaired automatically and systematically scanned and reapiring in the background also I use Microsoft Essentials as my anti-malware anti-spyware nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Issue Cannot open settings app in Windows - corrupt ImmersiveControlPanel repair rebuild What fixed - Windows Settings 10 Cannot repair/rebuild ImmersiveControlPanel open my settings app incase of quot TL-DR quot Folder Location C Windows ImmersiveControlPanel Running cmd as admin From C cd Windows rename ImmersiveControlPanel ImmersiveControlPanel old SFC scannow SFC will rebuild ImmersiveControlPanel Settings was working immediately after Hello everyone My Cannot open Windows 10 Settings - ImmersiveControlPanel repair/rebuild Windows install was suffering from this issue for some time I finally decided to try and work out a fix since it's a public holiday and I have time This issue was annoying but since It only really affected the settings app I left it in the quot I'll get to it later quot basket A typical self employed tech with no time for their own computers Other functions like apps appstore and start menu in Windows were unaffected Being a computer tech it frustrated me not being able to find any info on what fixed this in the end for me I am sure this info is out there somewhere but I could not find it I've decided to post this here so it can benefit someone just like me when trying to find a solution to this obscure problem The only persistent Windows issue I've come across where I couldn't justify a fresh install was on my own computer No firm idea on what caused it But I suspect it likely would have cropped up about the time when I had a few random graphics driver crashes and BSOD nvidia fixed this in the next driver That was a few months ago october-november and that was when I last remembered my settings app was working fine My symptoms Cannot open Settings from Start Menu Will flash on screen then close - No useful info in event manager Cannot open Settings from shortcut If manually created When opening other functions to do with settings would get errors refering to ms-settings for example on display settings quot ms-settting display This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action Please install a program or if one is already installed create an association in the Default Programs control panel quot No issue with start menu or the opening of other apps not related to settings including app storeCould browse and install open new appsWhile this issue persisted Cannot open Windows 10 Settings - ImmersiveControlPanel repair/rebuild Windows updates were not able to download or installWindows was stuck on build - Could not install update Any other function that relied on the Settings app would not work - for exampleisplay settings Personalisation settingsLockscreen settingsWindows update for me etc Fixes that I have tried CHKDSK F and R from within Cannot open Windows 10 Settings - ImmersiveControlPanel repair/rebuild Windows and Live CDs Only minor issues found SFC Scannow Before my fix in the end it did not fix anything System RestoreTried the powershell Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register quot InstallLocation AppXManifest xml quot fixTried the DISM Online Cleanup-Image RestoreHealth fixCreate a new userCould not upgrade with Windows disc The fixes that did not fix my issue above may still have enabled my fix to be successful later however Anyway If anyone has an issue similar hopefully this is helpful for them in some way Hopefully this issue will become searchable now I'm sure that I am not the only person to have had this although I have only ever seen this on my own computer Perhaps I am the only one Cheers

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/38630-cannot-open-windows-10-settings-immersivecontrolpanel-repair-rebuild.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello all.

I was wondering if it was possible to set Windows 7 for a new user of the computer so that is asks them for a Language, Country, Computer Name, User name e.t.c when they turn on the computer for the first time.

All help appreciated. Regards GFB.

A:Settings Windows 7 for a new user

From what I've read on this forum, it's possible by using the sysprep tool. Some people use it to migrate an existing Windows 7 installation to a completely new computer (or the same one after major changes like a new mobo etc.) which requires Windows to install new drivers for the new hardware on the next boot. As a side effect it also behaves like it's being run for the first time and does exactly what you're asking for above.

I don't know the specifics, but I'm sure someone knowledgeable will chime in soon and give you more details.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/191004-settings-windows-7-new-user.html
Relevancy 54.61%

My PC was in an endless boot cycle so bizzare repair, user done windows issue? I stuck in the XP Pro nd ran a windows repair everything looked to be going great All programs are installed in my C Programs folder some work the done windows repair, bizzare user issue? ones done windows repair, bizzare user issue? that need say a Java plugin will not games etc will but they are not in my start menu listings it looks like it is a fresh install If I go to my documents nothing is there but if I go to C Documents and Settings Admin My Documents they are all there On noticing this in the same folder there is a user called quot Admin PAL quot which is where my My Docs seems to be stored now It seems everything is running through quot Admin PAL quot When I go to user accounts is isn done windows repair, bizzare user issue? t there Admin is there BUT also something called quot ASP NET Machine A quot How odd But I cannot log in on it when PC switches on there only is quot Admin quot If I try to system restore to before when I did the repair it basicly thinks I reinstalled it Because I seem to be in quot Admin PAL quot nothing from my original XP installation loads like my XP skins amp msn amp file associations I would just reinstall it but I have lots of games amp other things amp associations setup I really don t want to waste a couple of hours going through it all again Idea s anyone Cheers nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

hello there,

I just joined a couple of minutes ago...
the problem that i have is that Windows XP keeps reseting my user settings (desktop background, style, start menu, ect...) back to default everytime i restart my pc! I have no idea of whats going on or why it keeps reseating. any reply's will be greatly appreciated. thanks everyone !!!!!

Relevancy 54.18%

Recently, my laptop had gotten the blue screen error. Ever since everything was reinstalled, Windows wouldn't allow me to save any settings(Background, size of caption buttons, etc.). Athough, it does let me change the theme. I was thinking about using a registry edit from Kelly's Korner and it wouldn't let me import the .reg file. It said there was an error accessing the registry. Is there something wrong with the code? Any suggestions would be great.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SystemTray"="SysTray.Exe"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40

A:Windows XP won't save user settings- Help?

There's no error with the .reg file, there's an error with your registry. What have you recently done with your computer that could have caused this problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-wont-save-user-settings-help.855805/
Relevancy 54.18%

So im usually pretty resourceful at finding away around things and getting rid of things But i really dont know alot about these things I got this virus Called the Windows Repair and it would give me false alerts like my ram was going up and then i would get a message saying something and if i clicked it it would automatically restart my computer Not fun at first i though it was a problem i could fix by deleting certain registries that didnt belong because that someone else had said should be done And i found these weird regestries that were like exe so i figured that must have been it since it was in the location where the person had said the bad registries where and it said the registry would be random so i figured that would be it And after all that i just gave up and decided to start up mu anti malware program that cleaned the virus then i used this clean up tool called Ccleaner to clean my cookies and registries and stuff and it did that First i had the problem of not being able to change my background for some reason and i had to delete a file called transcoded wallpaper to be able to Virus Windows Repair Wiped user account change it Now i just noticed My entire user file is GONE Windows Repair Virus Wiped user account The only user it shows is the guest user i go onto my C drive and into users and it only shows Guest Not mine I have none of my old documents pictures or any other files in my library i still have my program files though The entire option of looking at my documents pictures music is gone i try to open it and it leads to nothing i dont really need my files back But i really would like to have My user file capability back being able to open up my documents and stuff And i really dont want to have to start from scratch on my computer so any way to fix this without losing all my music and prgram files would be great thanks ahead of time

A:Windows Repair Virus Wiped user account

Start/Search type sysdm.cpl pressenter go to Advanced/User Profiles/Settings is your profile listed? You can create a new profile and here choose Copy To and copy your old profile to he new one.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-repair-virus-wiped-user-account-561835.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I upgraded from Windows to Windows 10 to Unable Automatic access Loop. Repair Windows Startup Settings nbsp Upgrade went fine and it was working Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop. Unable to access Startup Settings nbsp After booting up back Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop. Unable to access Startup Settings up for the first time since the install I ve become stuck in an automatic repair loop nbsp I get the quot Preparing Automatic Repair quot then quot Diagnosing your Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop. Unable to access Startup Settings PC quot before getting the error quot Your PC did not start correctly quot nbsp General advice on this issue is by using the advanced troubleshoot options I can use Startup Settings to access Safe Mode nbsp However when selecting Startup Settings and restarting the loop continues - no Startup Menu nbsp I have tried every option within the advanced options - Startup Repair Couldn t repair your PC - System Image Recovery and Go back to Previous Build no image no previous build With System Restore I think I might have found the primary issue nbsp I get two options for a restart - both critical windows updates and spaced a minute apart When scanning for affected programs on either restore point I get the error quot There was an unexpected error The Configuration Registry Database is corrupt x F quot If I do try to proceed with the restore I get the option to restore from the OS D System but then get the error that the quot disk OS D has errors nbsp Windows has detected file system corruption on OS D You must check the disk for errors before it can be restored quot Upon checking for errors Windows tells me no errors were found Anyone got any ideas nbsp If it is a registry issue how do I access when I can t get in

A:Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop. Unable to access Startup Settings

michalephuong,You can click the link below for information on resolving this error. What is the model of Dell Computer do you have that is giving you this error?How to fix Configuration Registry Database Is Corrupt 0x800703f1 Error?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19997170
Relevancy 53.75%

I can't get Pegasus to send mail but it receives it o.k.
Certain web pages will not open now and I am getting timed out messages. I think one of the three other users of my computer may have changed a setting somewhere.
Using XP Home, system restore is off.
Please advise me how to correct this problem.

A:Need Help Restoring settings

Closing duplicate, please respond only to:

http://forums.techguy.org:80/showthread.php?t=337465

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-restoring-settings.337575/
Relevancy 53.75%

So on June I shut down the PC and ok the Windows Update I turn the PC on today it still shows the four users that we have built into the PC but when I log into my user all user settings are gone My favorites are gone Outlook Express MS Outlook my Quick Launch Desktop background and icons everything tied to my user is gone When I launch My Computer and go into the quot User s Documents quot folder it does not have my settings Favorites etc lost User Update after settings Windows BUT when I drill into the file structure and go to my quot User settings lost after Windows Update User quot folder under quot Documents and Settings quot the Favorites and many other settings are in there My Programs seem to be all there except Google Chrome is mysteriously gone I m hoping my emails from OE and MS Outlook are still somewhere Is there a quick fix Turns out some of the Windows Updates cannot be uninstalled If not where would my Outlook Express settings be stored These are the updates User settings lost after Windows Update that were added KB KB Windows Imaging Component cannot be removed KB -v cannot be removed And a large number of Microsoft NET Framework Service Pack updates of them And a large number of Microsoft NET Framework Service Pack updates of them I can list the NET updates if it will help I am running Windows XP Media Centre Edition Service pack Thank you in advance for any help nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

during startup i get a pop-up displaying message Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\give.exe.

in addition when sutting down, it says end program-sylePromotion.exe,
which then shows the program is not responding.I have to choose End Now
for pc to continue shutdown.

The pc is not connecting to the internet and is becoming very slow. Am i virus infected? have scanned with AVG 9.0 but nothing is found.

can anyone please help?

thanx

DB

A:Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\giv.exe

Hello and welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

Download the tools needed to a flash drive or other removable media, and transfer them to the infected computer, if you don't have access to internet.

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/windows-cannot-find-c-documents-and-settings-user-giv-exe-452348.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello, all!

How do I go about changing the default user's setting on a Win2K Pro machine? I want to change the default user's settings to Power User or Administrator so that whenever anyone logs in, they have access to everything. Thanks!

A:Default User Settings in Windows 2000

Try "start", "settings", "control panel", "Users and Passwords".You should be able to make your adjustments from there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/default-user-settings-in-windows-2000.152894/
Relevancy 53.75%

I used to use Windows Easy Transfer to backup my settings and files before reinstalling/reimaging...etc - now that doesn't exist, and File History really doesn't cut it when it comes to apps and settings.

A system image really won't work either, as I need to reinstall windows 8.1 on a new system with different partitioning...etc.

Are there any Windows 8.1 native tools that will do it? If not, are there any freeware apps that perform the equivalent?

I have checked out Paragon Backup and Recovery (more all-or-nothing) and D7 (freeware version doesn't have automated restore - but it does create registry dumps...hmmm) but neither seems to work as simply/well as WET used to.

I have tried just saving the User profile folder, but unfortunately, that doesn't save anything that's in the registry (outlook profiles, app settings...etc).

A:Backup and Restore User Settings in Windows 8.1

I wonder if they actually deleted migwiz in 8.1? Look here: %windir%\system32\migwiz\migwiz.exe

If it's there it may still run. If not you can try adding it. I just zipped up %windir%\system32\migwiz as W8migwiz.zip. Currently uploading to my Dropbox account. If you want to try it, download from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1b8rabjupy59pmz/W8migwiz.zip

Edit: Just tried it on my Win 8.1 X86 laptop and %windir%\system32\migwiz is still there and running migwiz.exe brings up the normal WET window, but it seems to only support transferring into 8.1, not from 8.1, bummer.

Edit#2: tried renaming %windir%\system32\migwiz to %windir%\system32\migwiz-old then unzipping W8migwiz.zip to %windir%\system32\migwiz. Won't run, bummer.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/38926-backup-restore-user-settings-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello,
So far, this has happened to me twice in the last 6 months. I logon to Windows 2000 using my normal user account and password, and the OS comes up as though I am a new user. My original documents and setting folders are all still there, but the OS has created a new set of folders named <user name>.<computer name>. To my knowledge, no one has logged on any differently or changed anything.

I eventually can get everything back by brute force; usually copying local setting folders into the new folders and annoying things like that. I would love to know:

- Why it happens (and how to prevent it)
- How to easily point the user settings back to the original folder structure.

Help!

Thanks

Peter

Relevancy 53.75%

so this is it,, i never established a user before 10 minutes ago my login was always administrator,, and due to spy ware and stuff that just started to bug me i decided to create a new log in,,
now when i created this new user my admin user does not exist anymore?? but all the mal ware from my old log in came to this new one,... anyways, the malware is not the prob,,
the prob is that i lost of of my tweaked user settings, i lost my beatifull desktop and i want it back!!! does anyone know how to get back my Admin user????

Relevancy 53.75%

This is a Micron PII 450, 256RAM, On board Vid, 10 gig hard drive, Winmodem, Win XP Pro. The real problem is my brother clicks on things and downloads junk programs without knowing what he is doing. Here we go though and hopefully someone might have a suggestion. Before his downloading of some program which he does not remember what the computer would start up with no user logon or anything. Now the computer boots up past the welcome screen then it has his name and icon like with multi users and when you click on his name it starts installing his settings then shuts down. I have tried going in on safemode but I can't seem to get anywhere near windows. any suggestions would be grateful.
Ricky

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-shuts-down-while-loading-user-settings.181191/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have an Aspire One Cloudbook which I bought last October with Windows installed I didn't have to upgrade from earlier Windows nbsp As Windows has force-updated the sytem over the months I have frequently had problems with the synaptics shows user no settings after Windows t... 10 touchpad touchpad losing settings But I have always had the opportunity to go into the settings and re-set the gestures scrolling options etc nbsp The last week or two I have found mouse settings options in the Win Settings screens showing almost always just the Microsoft mouse settings resettings nbsp After an update today the synaptics icon has disappeared from the system Windows 10 touchpad shows no user settings after t... tray so I cannot double click it and get to the synaptics hardware tab to re-set anything nbsp To complicate matters the most current synaptics drivers here at Acer for this cloudbook is version BUT THE WINDOWS O UPDATE TODAY INSTALLED nbsp Assuming I can find synaptics hardware settings options somewhere -- well right now I'm lost on how to do that because there's nothing under properties or anywhere else I can find any user-modifiyable settings except for pointer options nbsp HELP PLEASE nbsp Thanks nbsp Gary

A:Windows 10 touchpad shows no user settings after t...

Check in Device Manager, do you have any devices showing errors?

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/Windows-10-touchpad-shows-no-user-settings-after-today-s-update/td-p/417178/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 53.32%

I'm User Startup Issue Offline With Another 7 Repair the Driver Bad Windows a computer tech guy and one of my users brought me a desktop that didn't boot So I started the PC it started to go into Windows the logo stops the BSOD flashes on the screen for a tenth of a second then it restarts again So then I let it do the startup repair and it took about minutes then shows me the Problem Signature screen the pertintent ones are and that say AutoFailover and BadDriver After that I Googled Repair Offline Another User With the Windows 7 Startup Repair Offline Bad Driver Issue Bad Driver and Another User With the Windows 7 Startup Repair Offline Bad Driver Issue found this site thank goodness I remembered the name of it because I've used ComboFix before on another computer which fixed it and I read about this program I never heard of before called Farbar Recovery Scan Tool Next Another User With the Windows 7 Startup Repair Offline Bad Driver Issue I take out my trusty thumbdrive which is bootable made a Win recovery drive and booted the PC with it and ran that program It made this log file which I know you need that I can somewhat understand Now I need your help to make a proper fixlog that I can use to get the system booting again once that happens I can take it from there so as not to disturb you any further I'll keep you updated on what has transpired though Thank you for any assistance you give me Here is the attached log nbsp FRST txt nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads

A:Another User With the Windows 7 Startup Repair Offline Bad Driver Issue

Hello SaKi807 I would like to welcome you to the Malware Removal section of the forum.Around here they call me Gringo and I will be glad to help you with your malware problems.Very Important --> Please read this post completely, I have spent my time to put together somethings for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier, faster and smoother for both of us!Please do not run any tools unless instructed to do so.We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability.Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post.Please read every post completely before doing anything.Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process.Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the "Follow This Topic" Button, make sure that the "Receive notification" box is checked and that it is set to "Instantly" - This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster.NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of heartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer.NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.Note** this computer needs some serious cleaningOpen notepad. Please copy the contents of the code box below. To do this highlight the contents of the box and right click on it. Paste this into the open notepad. Save it on the flash drive as fixlist.txt
HKU\Guest\...\Winlogon: [Shell] Explorer.exe <==== ATTENTION
HKU\kristin\...\Winlogon: [Shell] Explorer.exe <==== ATTENTION
TDL4: custom:26000022 <===== ATTENTION!
CMD: bootrec /FixMbr
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating systemOn Vista or Windows 7: Now please enter System Recovery Options.Run FRST again like we did before but this time press the Fix button just once and wait.The tool will make a log on the flash drive (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.Also boot the computer into normal mode and let me know how things are looking.Gringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504168/another-user-with-the-windows-7-startup-repair-offline-bad-driver-issue/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have 2 Hotmail and one Hotpop account configured on OE6. I can send mail through Hotpop with no problems, however, when I try to send one through either Hotmail account I get the following message ... "The server does not support the required HTTP methods ... Response: 'Method Not Allowed' ... Error No. 0x800CCC35."

I have no doubt it's something I've messed around with as I've just reformatted and am still trying to get my settings correct with XP. Does anyone know how to restore default settings to OE6?

Thanks,

Rob.

Relevancy 53.32%

I am running xp pro with SP2. I played with the display settings while checking out a widescreen monitor I am thinking of buying. I changed several settings, such as horizontal and vertical icon spacing, icon size and some others I can't remember.

Is there a way to restore these settings to the default? I was wondering if hooking my current monitor back up will do this. I was also wondering if using system restore would work. I would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restoring-display-settings-351158.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I recently upgraded two PCs from 2000 to XP Pro. One machine had the Administrator account renamed to User1 originally and the upgrade to XP completed with success. The other PC kept the Administrator named the same but when XP asked for other user names, it left out the name Administrator [account] and now I am stuck with a second account with NONE of my originial settings like Outlook Express accounts, IE favorites.. etc.

What can I do to restore them or use the original Administator account? It isn't even a choice on the screen! ??!

A:Restoring Original Settings--HELP!

If you can access the folders of the account in question, here is a link to MS Knowledge Base that may help you. Whatever you end up doing you will have to have admin rights.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/en-us

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restoring-original-settings-help-102327.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I was forced to reformat my C-drive, I backed up the drive prior to formating.

I forgot to remove the encryption settings on some files in My Documents before I copied them to a external hard drive. The encryption is standard windows encryption

Now I can't open these important files. I have tried restoring them from my system back up file, with no luck. I don't want to do a full system restore, I don't want to reinfect my operating system.

Can I restore only the required files to enable me to access the encrypted files.

Any help would be appreciated.

A:Restoring Encryption Settings

Hi What A CAD and welcome to TSF !

You'll need your encryption certificate and/or private key. If you didn't export them then I'm afraid you'll have to restore your backup and export them. You might as well remove the encryption directly on the backup once you've restored it.

How to remove file or folder encryption in Windows XP
How to back up the recovery agent Encrypting File System (EFS) private key in Windows XP

I'm afraid I don't know about other ways of recovering your private key, and discussing them here would lead to legal issues anyway (someone could use the information to access someone else's data).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restoring-encryption-settings-236184.html
Relevancy 53.32%

As a favour to a friend I'm cleaning there laptop from spyware stupid crap they've done Restoring it to factory settings is other than fully wiping the main drive the only way fully clean it Also really the only option due to the said person not having a recovery disk The infected laptop is a compacq I'm not too sure Restoring settings. factory on the specific model It's running Windows bit Home Premium Booting in to windows BIOS and trying to restore it to factory setting yealds Restoring factory settings. a slight problem a re-occurring warning before attempting to restore Warning your laptop is currently running on battery power Recovery Manager requires that your laptop is plugged into an AC power outlet etc The battery is at full power but the warning keeps me from continuing restoring factory settings even though I have the laptop plugged in Is there a way Restoring factory settings. to change the power received from the battery to the AC adapter I've tried removing the battery and plugging in the laptop it's receiving power but I can't boot it like that The Recovery Manager does not seem to be recognising that the Adapter is plugged in and I can't continue the recovery process because of this warning message Any help with this would be much appreciated I've really not dealt with laptops and battery issues As far as I know there are no hardware problems TL DR How to change the power received from the battery to the AC adapter

A:Restoring factory settings.

sounds like you need to enter the power settings through windows ?

just maybe a idea other then that it should switch over from battery to ac when plugged in

check windows power settings for laptops you might be able to swap power consuming mode and re-direct the power from portable to desktop use

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/157807-restoring-factory-settings.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi, I am currently running an Asus Laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and I want to know how to restore the computer to just factory settings. The computer got ridiculously slow, so I figured I'd take this route. I don't have an installation disc, nor do I have a recovery disc. I bought the laptop at Best Buy.

I am kinda new to this so you're going to have to bare with me a little.

A:Help with restoring to Factory Settings

Hello Shiftclick, welcome to Seven Forums!

See if this info will work for you and be sure to post back with any further questions you may have and to keep us informed.

Information

ASUS Recovery Partition

Using the Recovery Partition:
1. Press [F9] during bootup (requires a Recovery Partition)
2. Press [Enter] to select Windows Setup [EMS Enabled]
3. Read the “ASUS Preload Wizard” screen and click Next.
4. Select a partition option and click Next. Partition options:

Recover Windows to first partition only.
This option will delete only the first partition, allowing you to keep other partitions, and create a new system partition as drive “C”.

Recover Windows to entire HD.
This option will delete all partitions from your hard disk drive and create a new system partition as drive “C”.

Recover Windows to entire HD with 2 partition.
This option will delete all partitions from your hard drive and create two new partitions “C” (60%) and “D” (40%).
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the recovery process.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/150364-help-restoring-factory-settings.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 and my computer has been getting the blue screen, saying it had crashed or something of the sorts shortly logging in.
So I decided to Dell DataSafe it and restore the computer to the factory settings. After it was finished and showed the loading screen for windows 7 it brings me to the log in screen.
However, it only shows a blank spot to type in a username, and one for the password, also where the profile picture for the should be, there is not one there.
I tried typing in "Administrator" in the username box, but it comes up saying "This account has been disabled, see system administrator"

Please help I have school and this computer is really important toward my school work. Thanks.

A:Can't log in after restoring PC to factory settings.

If you did a factory restore its reset back to first time use. That window is asking you to create a user profile. Just type in what username you want to use and what password you want to use. Your old profile has likely been wiped clean and erased. I hope you backed up your data because its likely gone too. If you did what I think you did, your PC is back to the way it was the first time you turned it on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/266311-cant-log-after-restoring-pc-factory-settings.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Recently I used subinacl to help me enable jscript I used it to give me admin on all my registry files I rebooted and clicked My Computer but then it said i didn t have enough memory So I read up on some things and it said I should do something to the permissions on Regedit Well now I could care less because every single file on my computer help restoring to Need settings! factory doesn t work the links are broken I can t access explorer I want to restore to factory settings and forget about whatever I was doing Need help restoring to factory settings! before So I have a Dell Inspiron something I don t have a boot CD and i can t access system restore or control panel I started it up and i read that you had to hold Ctrl-f so i did nothing happened and it continued to load windows in the same way Then somewhere I read you had to press alt-f I did and it came up with a sort of prompt it said quot Edit Windows boot options for Windows Home Premium Path Windows system winload exe Partition Hard Disk Click to expand I could type in between the brackets and press enter to load windows I ve goofed around with it and I don t even know if i m at the right menu I m considering taking the computer to a repair place but it s expensive Help I might not respond since I need to have a CT scan done in about an hour Please help nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

Hi, so yeah I've got an Inspiron pc from dell and I simply want to know how to restore my pc back to factory settings cause it has too many viruses than I can handle . If u guys at tech guy could help that'd be totes brill THANKS A BUNCH
Toodloo

A:Restoring to factory settings?

There are so many Inspirons. If you want help, you need to supply the exact model of Inspiron.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restoring-to-factory-settings.1130158/
Relevancy 53.32%

I want to restore my laptop to factory settings, but I don't have a Windows 7 installation CD. I was just wondering if, when I restore to factory settings (since I don't have another point to restore to), will my laptop be wiped completely? Since I don't have any installation CDs or anything, I don't want to restore it to factory settings if it'll wipe it completely.

My confusion of the distinction is: will it wipe my laptop blank or restore it to the point it was at when I started it following purchasing it (all the basic programs and such already installed)?

Thank you for reading.

A:Restoring To Factory Settings

Quote: Originally Posted by nadnerb

I want to restore my laptop to factory settings, but I don't have a Windows 7 installation CD. I was just wondering if, when I restore to factory settings (since I don't have another point to restore to), will my laptop be wiped completely? Since I don't have any installation CDs or anything, I don't want to restore it to factory settings if it'll wipe it completely.

My confusion of the distinction is: will it wipe my laptop blank or restore it to the point it was at when I started it following purchasing it (all the basic programs and such already installed)?

Thank you for reading.

When you restore your computer to factory settings, your computer will be like it was when you powered it up the first time. You will lose all of your personal data along with your Windows settings and programs.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/238929-restoring-factory-settings.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello

I have an acer laptop that came installed with windows 8, and now i want to restore to factory default but i dont want to re download any of my files(over 100gb). Is there anything i can do to restore but still keep my files intact?

A:Restoring to factory settings

Welcome to EightForums.

Always Backup your DATA files.

Information

We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD.
Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8
System Repair Disc - Create in Windows 8

You can use the ACER version of
Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8
   Warning
Deleting the Recovery Partition is NOT RECOMMENDED

Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

You can Order Acer recovery disks from here:

https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer
or
Acer | Recovery Media
Check in Accessories
or check the main web site.
Acer Worldwide - Select your local country or region

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/28105-restoring-factory-settings.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I recently followed a guide that was supposed to assist my FPS and performance it s actually decent I just thought it may give me a bigger boost but since then whenever I go into the game World of Warcraft is the one I am talking of when I am on the login screen and character select screen my computer I am not positive but I think it is my video card lets out a loud whistle First the guide that I followed --------- Tweak XP for Gaming This was written mainly for XP Pro But a settings guide my following after Restoring most if not all of it should work for other versions First step is to create a profile you just go to Control Panel click on User accounts and create and account Name it amp Gaming amp or something like that Now log in to it Adjusting for Restoring my settings after following a guide Best Performance right click on my computer choose advanced gt visual effects and then click on adjust for best performance To increase system performance Right click my computer Click properties Click advanced Click settings under performance Click Adjust for best performance It will uncheck everything in the list How to disable XP amp s built in CD Burner Click the start button Select Run Type amp services msc amp and click ok Go to IMAPI CD-Burning Com Services open it and click on start up type change to amp Disabled amp Fine tune your systems memory You need at least MB of ram to do this if you do not know how much RAM you have you can check by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting properties Near the bottom of the page it will tell you how much RAM you have Go to startrunregedit -and then to the following key HKEY LOCAL MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory Management Disable Paging Executive -double click it and in the decimal put a - this allows XP to keep data in memory now instead of paging sections of ram to harddrive yeilds faster performance Large System Cache- double click it and change the decimal to -this allows XP Kernal to Run in memory and improves system performance a lot Create a new dword and name it IOPageLockLimit - double click it and set the value in hex - if you have MB of ram or set it to if you have MB set it to if you have more than MB of ram -this tweak will speed up your disckcache Reboot Unable to delete Avi files from HD XP holds files in it amp s memory even after you have closed the application using them making it impossible to delete them from your hard drive To fix this Start - gt Run - gt Regedit Find the HKEY CLASSES ROOTSystemFileAssociations avishellexPropertyHandler directory and delete the amp DEFAULT amp key Tweak The Swap File For Users with MB RAM or more this tweak will boost their Windows- and Game-Performance What it does It tells Windows not to use any Swap File until there is really no more free RAM left Open the System Configuration Utility by typing msconfig exe in the RUN command There in your System ini you have to add amp ConservativeSwapfileUsage amp under the enh section Disable Services XP Pro runs a lot of services by default that are pointless if you are not on a network If you are on a network don amp t touch it the following services are ones that I safely disable thereby freeing up memory but check what each one does first to make sure your not using it for something Go to Run and type services msc right click on each service properties and choose disable NOTE Depending on your version of Windows and settings you may not have some of these services Alerter Application Layer Gateway Service Application Management Automatic Updates Background Intelligent Transfer Clipbook Distributed Link Tracking Client Distributed Transaction Coordinater Error Reporting Service Fast User Switching Compatibility IMAPI CD-Burning Indexing Service IPSEC Services Messenger Net Logon Net Meeting Remote Desktop Sharing Network DDE Network DDE DSDM Portable Media Serial Number Remote Desktop Help Session Manager Remote Regis... Read more

A:Restoring my settings after following a guide

None of those changes would cause hardware damage and definitely wouldn't cause a video card to make any type of noise.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restoring-my-settings-after-following-a-guide.721401/
Relevancy 53.32%

I downloaded a proxy yesterday.. " my proxy" and it asked if i wanted to auto set IE connection.. i said yes.. to make a long story short..didn't like the proxy..uninslladed it, and now when i went back to change the settings..the " never dial a connection " was clicked and grayed out (disabled) and i can not access the setting button as well. so now when i open IE i get the : cannot find Server " and the body of the window says 'page cannot be displayed' in IE
i'm using XP with SP2..i use AOL to connect to the internet..and FF to browse. but i still need to use IE..so i'd like to fix this problem. HELP.

Aren't you glad i didn't give ya the long version

A:Restoring Ie Connection Settings

You might try a repair of IE: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/37215/restoring-ie-connection-settings/
Relevancy 53.32%

how do i restore to factory settings. I dont want to have to reinstall all the drivers

A:Restoring to factory settings??

Hiyya ed123 mate what machine have you got? usually it is just holding down or tapping an F(numeral) numeral or function key (Esc Del etc)on power up.

Look up your machines site - for example I know that to default my Toshiba laptops I just have to hold down 0 (zero) on power up and follow the prompts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/240374-restoring-factory-settings.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I recently upgraded my vista home premium to a windows 7 ultimate but I don't like it. If i do a restore from factory settings, will I get my old settings with my vista back? I have a folder in a C drive "windows.old" which has all of the old settings/files/folders/drivers.

A:Restoring to factory settings?

Perhaps we can help you work through any specific problems you have with Win7.

If not: How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/75558-restoring-factory-settings.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey all,

I have just bought a Macbook, and selling my 4 year old trusty Packard Bell laptop to a friend. It works perfectly ok, albeit abit slow but good for basic e-mails, chat and things like that.

So.. my question is, how do I restore factory settings? I want ALL of my data off, and for the laptop to be as 'empty' as it was when I bought it.

When I bought it it had Microsoft Word already installed - will that stay installed after I've restored the settings?

And here's the annoying part.. I don't have the CD that came with it when I bought it. No idea where it is but must have disappeared while moving houses.

By the way, sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasn't sure about where to post it.

Any other tips?

Cheers

Relevancy 53.32%

I have a Toshiba laptop and i have a lot of junk on it i don't need, how can i restore it to the way it was the day i got it?

A:restoring to factory settings

Hi and welcome

Many Toshiba laptops come with the factory software recovery image stored in a special (hidden) area on the hard drive.

What model is yours?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restoring-to-factory-settings.1027125/
Relevancy 53.32%

hi i have imedia 3034.my problems started on 20th jan,when my 8 yr old son try to download ie8,since then can not connect to the internet,system restore not working.i,ve tried everything that people have told still no joy.took pc in to repair shop they say it has to cleaned and restored,they say it's because of ie8 plus it had viruses.i could not find any viruses.it only got cleaned one week before christmas at a cost 60 now they want another 60.how can i get it back to factory settings.what recoverer disc do i need all so what drivers do i need please help .safest site to download them.how do i restore windows will it still be on when i get back to factory settings?

Relevancy 53.32%

ive tried restoring to factory setting but the driver to wifi isnt there how do i get it back

Hi and Welcome,
With my Dell there was one recovery disc with the o/s on, one with drivers & a third with utilities - do you have the same?

Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restoring-to-factory-settings.1029294/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have come to the point where I need to restore my computer back to factory using the recovery disks...is there any way that I can save Network Connection settings? My wife works from home and doesn't want to lose those settings, as the IT guys at her job are loaded with many issues and asking how to set network connections so she may work from home is out of the question at this moment.

Thank you.

A:Restoring PC to factory...any way to keep some settings?

What Network Connection settings? The ones you see when in Network Connections you right click the connection and select Properties? You can always write them down or take some screen shots and then set them after the Recovery.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restoring-pc-to-factory-any-way-to-keep-some-settings.882781/
Relevancy 53.32%

Help please,

I restored the factory settings on my dell studio 17 laptop today and now i cannot connect to the internet. It cannot find any networks, it says i do not have a wireless network adapter installed? How do i get this back? I had a disc that came with the computer that had drives on it but when it came to downloading the communication part of it- it said cannot find MODEM? Is this connected to the reason why i cant find my network?. I have a wireless router and a broadband provider but i cannot get it to work. Can anybody help me?

A:Help after restoring factory settings

Hi and welcome to TSF the driver your looking for is the wifi please check in device manager and see what others are flagged with either a yellow ! or red Xs you can get all the drivers from the dell support site by using the service tag number Welcome to Dell Technical Support

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-after-restoring-factory-settings-597337.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I changed the DPI settings on the display from 96 to 120. Now everything is messed up and I want to change it back. Here is where the problem lies... I can get back to where I did it but the box is so big now that the option of hitting "apply" is not able to be seen. Is there any other way to restore my display settings?
Please help. Thank you!!

Relevancy 53.32%

computer is an acer aspire m1610. having problems downloading aol software. trying to restore back to a certain date..purchased pc few days ago and only had a couple of restoring dates .. aol not letting me download software to get online. need to know how to restore back to factory settings. need advice

A:restoring pc to factory settings

If the computer did not come with recovery discs or you did not make your own then check the owner's manual or user guide for information on system recovery from a hidden partition on the computer's hard drive. Accessing the recovery program may require holding or tapping one or more keys during powerup.

NOTICE: Recovery will remove any files you have created or downloaded since purchasing the computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restoring-pc-to-factory-settings.631972/
Relevancy 53.32%

i have a dell inspiron 1420 laptop with windows vista home premium. i have caught a virus and need to restore my laptop to factory settings. it came with some disc to restore my laptop but i dont know how. could someone help me?

Hi and welcome to TSF this will get you back to factory settings
Restoring the Computer to the Default Factory Configuration
The Dell Factory Image Restore option allows you to restore your hard drive back to its original factory configuration as when you first ordered it from Dell. This option appears on Dell computers that were originally pre-installed with Windows Vista? and does not include computers purchased through the Express Upgrade promotion or computers that were upgraded to Windows Vista from another version of Windows.

NOTICE: When you restore the computer to the default factory configuration, all data on the C drive is deleted. Before performing this procedure, back up personal files. If you do not back up personal files, the data is lost.

Restart the computer. To do this, click Start ? ? Restart.

As the computer restarts, press <F8> until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.

NOTE: You must press the <F8> key before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press <F8> after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.

Press <Down Arrow> to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press <Enter>.

Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.

Click Dell Factory Image Restore.

In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.

Select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition checkbox.

Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.

When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.

the info is found here http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1064943 via this page
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/en/index.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/restoring-to-factory-settings-434886.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi, I would like to restore my laptop to the factory settings.

When i tried to do the factory reset by pressing F11 during the startup am getting the error message as "Failed to Start Windows. A recent hardware or software might affected....." like this.

I don't have repair disk as well as the OS CD. I don't have both of these. Apart from this i tried to restore it to previous points that too didn't work.

So i would like to know how can i fix this problem without having the repair disk, OS CD, Bootable CD & backups. I dont have any of these to perform factory reset.

Please help me to solve this issue ASAP.....

Thanks in advance!

A:Restoring to Factory Settings

It would be nice to now the Make & model of the Notebook.
As you are use F11, as Factory Recovery, sounds like a ACER.

Acer Empowering Technology > Acer eRecovery Management.
Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - How can I restore my computer with the backup discs I created?

Manual how to use Acer eRecovery Management here:
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/empowering_technology/NB%20ET2%20user's%20guide/Acer%20eRecovery%20Management%20English.pdf

Have you tried pressing <Alt+F10> at boot up, to goto the Acer eRecovery Management.
Acer Support: Frequently Asked Questions list for How to use Acer eRecovery

You can Order Acer recovery disks from here:
https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer

If you have not made your Startup Repair
System Repair Disc - Create
Do you have a mate with Windows 7 & CD/DVD RW Drive, how could burn one off.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/175933-restoring-factory-settings.html
Relevancy 53.32%

hi.
i have a laptop (toshiba satilite a30) i bought brand new about 2 yeras ago and ive given it to my dad but i need to set it to the original factory settings like the day i got it out the box but the problem is there was no xp disc with it like a lot of pcs today.
i also have the pc im using now which only came with a red floppy disc which i can use if i want to restore to original factory setting ,im just wondering how i can restore the laptop to the origianal settings...

Relevancy 52.89%

We have this image installed on about 7 laptops and they are all having the same issue. The issue is that, the user logs into the Win XP laptop which is on a domain, changes her desktop picture, changes her screen res and moves her desktop icon in different places. After the user logs off and logs back in the setting revert back to the default settings. I have checked the defalut user NT USER file and it is not .man. Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-not-keeping-the-user-profile-settings.715792/
Relevancy 52.89%

So I got a BSOD whilst playing Battlefield 2 last night, actually the fourth BSOD of the day, and my Windows installation failed to boot, giving me a 0x7b stop error.

Now I've tried allsorts to fix this, such as CHKDSK and FIXMBR. Now after performing these steps I was promted with a corrupted Hal.dll, so I installed a new copy of windows to a 500GB drive and copied the Hal.dll over from there. However, I was again promted with the 0x7b stop error.

So, my current situation. I've decided just to go to the neww install of Windows 7 and copy my profile and settings over. Now in the past I've done this dozens of times using the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard, but unfortunatley I don't have an up to date backup of my profile.

So, do any of the microsoft guru's have a solution for this please?

A:Recovering user profile/settings from corrupted windows....

There is no reason to copy hal.dll to a new Windows 7 installation.

Wipe the HDD with KillDisk then install Windows 7.

Upon reaching desktop, allow Windows Updates in - www.update.microsoft.com

Then validate your Windows 7 OS - www.microsoft.com/genuine

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/recovering-user-profile-settings-from-corrupted-windows-524860.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I share a windows 7 ultimate desktop pc with several other users including a guest user (non administrator) and another standard user (non administrator)

Can these non administrator users access and chane wireless modem setting?

If they can change modem settings is there any way to block them from changing modem settings?

A:can a non administrative user change modem settings in windows 7

Sign in as 1 of them and try.

Why would they be changing modem settings ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/279807-can-non-administrative-user-change-modem-settings-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a Dell inspiron N4010 that was presenting blue screen OD all the time after fallowing the stop codes decided to reinstall windows via recovery disc. windows recovery to factory settings ask for user name and password after the initial set up it will keep me on the blue screen, but does not load any picture ID or user name on the screen please help...

A:windows recovery to factory settings ask for user name and password

Try running the more stable Recovery partition following these steps: Dell Restoring Your Computer?s Software to the Factory Settings

Do you have the Dell Reinstallation DVD? It should not ask for password if you correctly boot it to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/221446-windows-recovery-factory-settings-ask-user-name-password.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello all I ve got a strange problem which has already seemingly stumped someone can t post a URL so go to forums dot spywareinfo dot com search under members for threepwood and it s called quot ie shutdown explorer process at on startup possible virus hijack of explorer quot but seeing Process settings user problem, windows XP and list as it seems less likely to be a spyware problem and more like a windows problem i thought i d post here and give up on the other thread Anyway here are the problems Process list doesn t fluctuate when it is opened On startup explorer shows a stupidly high cpu usage and doesn t change while the window is open Also if i leave the list open and open up another program for example notepad the program will start up but wont come up on the process list This happens only on the one account Process list and user settings problem, windows XP even if i open it in safe mode No other accounts seem affected until i try copying all my settings over to another account I need to know what the problem is and how to solve it so that no other accounts will be affected Another problem cropped up a few days ago My bookmarks list in IE seems to have gone Don t know why IE isn t my main browser so im not too upset although im sure i had some decent links saved which i cant remember now Also today the computer decided to say it had found and installed some new hardware my scanner when my scanner had been fuly installed around years ago System restore isn t possible because i have no points to restore to before this problem cropped up There do seem to be some problems with windows update running but it does run eventually Windows XP is fully up to date No new programs have been installed which could have caused the problem i ve already uninstalled some stuff i thought might be causing it and i ve got no idea what else to try OS is Windows XP SP no error messages come up Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Process list and user settings problem, windows XP

If you haven't already done so, check out this information: http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/explorer.exe.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/process-list-and-user-settings-problem-windows-xp.411522/
Relevancy 52.89%

I am using Windows 8.1, the power options are all set to 'never' but the display still powers off if untouched for 30 minutes, are there any other settings I can check _ Many Thanks

A:windows 8.1 power settings user options not enforced

Somewhere I read that this was fixed by going to the longest time possible rather than Never (assuming 5 hours suits you).If it's a separate monitor see if it has its own "On Screen" settings (buttons near the bottom).Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/windows-81-power-settings-user-options-not-enforced/2051.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I got a new computer about a week ago, running Windows XP home and student edition, and have been using the admin account since. That is only true because when ever i go to make a new user profile, like one you select when you want to log in, it dosent transfer Word, PowerPoint, Excel, or One point. I have no idea why, but it dosent. Please help

A:[SOLVED] Windows XP user account settings problems

You will have to reinstall those programs for each user. I believe that there is an option when installing Office to install on all user accounts on the computer, so once you have all user accounts set up, try that.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-windows-xp-user-account-settings-problems-165465.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I am having major problems restoring my dell xps computer to factory setting. I want a full clean and go thru all the options. It gets to the black start screen and says it is resetting. However after a couple of minutes the blue screen comes back on and says "there was a problem resetting your pc. No changes were made. "
Please help me with this problem. Thank you. JD

A:Problem restoring factory settings

Jdunne1980,In order to help resolve the error on your computer we will need some information. Please provide your system model, the OS installed and the steps you are using to restore the computer.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19994292
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi all

I have an advent 6552, windows vista, and I want to restore it to the factory settings. It told me online to press f8 to bring up an option to repair computer. This option is not on my list when I press f8. Is there any other way of doing it.?? I have tried in the control centre but can't find anything.

Thanks

A:Problem with restoring to factory settings

Advent 6552 Laptop

Scroll down to the recovery section.

-----------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-restoring-to-factory-settings.1133284/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi sorry if I got this in the wrong forum section but i'm new. I have a Compaq Presario CQ60.
I have windows vista home basic, and I want to restore my laptop to factory settings. I have no discs to do it with, so any other way?
Thanks for help.

A:Help Restoring Laptop to factory settings

Hi try here for the info http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&product=3768154&docname=c00809678#RecoverOS

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-restoring-laptop-to-factory-settings.894402/
Relevancy 52.89%

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9300.

I need to restore it to factory settings.

I do not have the original XP Disc or anything like that.

CTRL-F11 has not been working for me.

Help please?

P.S. I read something about Super Grub Disk and how it could help me recover but I have no idea of how to use it.

Relevancy 52.89%

Currently I am running off of a Windows XP Home Edition. When I first plugged it in I had just resolution problems and windows opening up off of the available screen space. I even changed resolutions, etc. after fishing out the Display Settings window from the abyss. I tried rebooting and going into safe mode but once I got to the Settings screen, my arrow keys would not let me travel there.

I figured since I really don't have anything but the Internet and messengers on this computer that I'd just restore the computer to factory settings. The problem? I don't know how. I am pretty sure I have all of the CDs, but if someone could give me a step-by-step that would be excellent. I could read it off of the laptop as I work on it. Try and make it as clear as possible

Thank you for any help!

Relevancy 52.89%

Hello I've had a lot of recent issues with my system which was all mentioned in Dell xps Need 600 help settings to restoring factory a previous post on TSF I've come to the point where I just Need help restoring factory settings to Dell xps 600 want to completely restore it back to the original factory settings I've tried many things but you can only go back a few months or to a date you saved as a restore point Unfortunately I can't even do that anymore since the start of this BS I am not Need help restoring factory settings to Dell xps 600 looking for possible fixes for all the issues that brought me to this conclusion An original factory setting Need help restoring factory settings to Dell xps 600 restore must be done I have a Dell XPS with Microsoft XP as part of the included software when I purchased it new from Dell I can't ask Dell for help as recommendations from one of their techs caused my computer to pretty much crash Because my warranty is expired they want me to now pay for their help even though their tech was responsible to fix it I refuse Any advice besides buy a Mac as I am starting to take a serious look into their products due to my continuing problems is greatly appreciated Thank you for reading

A:Need help restoring factory settings to Dell xps 600

Try pressing ctrl and F11 together on boot up. I assume you do not have restore DVd's supplied by Dell?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/need-help-restoring-factory-settings-to-dell-xps-600-a-484097.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi,

I live in Jamaica, and that's equal with living with permanent powercuts (and nearly no water coming fro the wall, too, by the way).

During such a powercut, my PC with XP SP 3 was on a UPS, I tried to shut down in time, but before that happened, the UPS's battery was exhausted and the PC went dead.

After power was restored, I got a low screen resolution, and during the start, XP tells me that one of the files the registry inputs and loads from couldn't be found and that XP would run a temporary setting for me, all changes would be lost after restart.

I need to know, how to restore my original settings. So far, it seems i have full access to all internal and external hard drives. What to do?

Relevancy 52.89%

I have an Acer Aspire 7720G laptop. It started playing up and won't load up windows or do anything. Just goes to a screen saying insert boot disk but I don't have one. I downloaded an ISO and created a UBUTU boot disk. Re-configured the start up process so that cd drive boots first thus being able to start the thing up. Is there now anything I can do to get it back to the way it was before it stopped working and use windows. If not then how do I factory reset at this stage ?

Relevancy 52.89%

Hey!
I have an old XP desktop computer that I wanted to restore completely before putting it away. However there are two problems. I cannot find the restoration CD, and when I go to system restore there is no option to restore the PC to factory settings. Can I restore it to factory settings in some other way?

Thanks in advance!

A:Restoring XP to factory settings not working

Hello Jupiter and welcome to PCHF

In the old XP days most OEM manufacturers like Dell or HP for example gave the XP reinstall disk with the machine and then they stopped providing the disk and set the machine so that you could take it back to a factory condition, this still applies today.

I'm curious as to what you mean by putting it away, are we talking about a lengthy period?

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-xp/121650-restoring-xp-factory-settings-not-working.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm trying to revert my computer (Dell Inspiron 9400 with Windows XP Media Center) to factory settings using the installation CD. Every time I've used one in the past, I've simply had to confirm that all files would be permanently lost. However, this time it's giving me options to recover or delete an existing partition.

When it asks where I want to install the OS, I assume I'd choose the C drive; do I first delete the existing partition (it looks something like C: Partition2 [NTFS], but that's from memory as I forgot to bring the paper I wrote it down on) and then reinstall the OS?

A:[SOLVED] Restoring to factory settings

did you add any partitions to your computer? normally you should not have to do a thing to your partitions. since it is the original cd it should do the same as you have done in the past, just skip the options to recover or delete.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-restoring-to-factory-settings-491078.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Is there an easy way to transfer settings, drivers, etc from an old version of windows into this? I've tried copy pasting but some files are encrypted, etc. The old one is windows XP but it's corrupted, and the new one is a new partition install of windows xp that is working fine and can browse all the files even in the corrupted regions. I cannot start the old OS so I cannot run the wizard. Thanks in advance, and if you DO know how to recover my previous OS, please post here:

http://techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=44534

I hope I don't have to reinstall it all ...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/given-up-on-restoring-now-onto-transferring-drivers-settings-etc-44594.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have Windows XP Media Center and would like to format my hard drive to restore it to factory settings I've already backed up all data The problem is that my computer didn't come with installation CDs Instead the restore files were on a D drive I had computer Restoring factory to settings my called Dell technical support about a blue Restoring my computer to factory settings screen of death that resulted from accidentally pressing the MediaDirect button while the power was off and the technician had me restore my computer However the D drive was also removed so I can no longer format my C drive I recently spoke with another Restoring my computer to factory settings technician who tried to sell me pricey contracts so that he could remove viruses and such but I'd rather have the ability to format my hard drive whenever I please He said that there is still a way to format my hard drive without the CDs but he couldn't tell me since he would lose the sale Is it still possible to restore my computer to factory settings now that the backup drive was deleted Is there any cheap way of getting the files again legally I'd rather not pay or something to have him clean my computer or pay roughly as much for the CDs

A:Restoring my computer to factory settings

If you give Dell a call again they should be able to provide you with Dell restore disks. They may cost but not very much. In the UK they cost about ?15.00 which is about $25.00 I think.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restoring-my-computer-to-factory-settings-485031.html
Relevancy 52.89%

How do I go about doing this?

Do I, make note of the programs I need to re-install?
Then go to Computer > D: > Recovery?

Thanks
Jake

A:[SOLVED] Restoring to factory settings?

I run the Belarc Advisor . . it will show you what devices you have so that you can get the drivers ( preferable ahead of time ) and what applications are installed and their instalaltion keys

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-restoring-to-factory-settings-587885.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have just purchased a new pc and want to sell my old one, it is a Packard bell pc imedia S3210 running wind 7 home premium. I don't want anyone to be able to get my info/passwords etc so need to restore it back to factory settings. my question is this.
if I do this re store who ever purchases it will they be able to use it , I assume they will have to install IE, FF etc to be able to use it

Relevancy 52.89%

Does WinXP have the capability of checking for lost files and restoring them other than the go-back feature? In particular, I notice that I have lost the ability to search for files or folders. I receive a file missing message.

If there is no check for missing files feature (Win98 was great for this) can I re-install XP without overriding settings?

A:Restoring missing files/settings in XP

XP Does have the System File Checker but it needs to be run from a command prompt.

Start--run--"CMD"
then at the c Prompt: "SFC /scannow" without quotes!

Good Luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restoring-missing-files-settings-in-xp.92914/
Relevancy 52.89%

can anyone advise as to how to restore the computer to factory settings.

i have an advent computer which is running windows xp but we have a lot of rubbish and viruses on it so have been advised to wipe the computer back to it's original state.

has anyone done this in the past or can advise me.

thanks.

Relevancy 52.89%

I just received a windows 7 recovery disk that I ordered because windows won't boot at all. I put cd in I made sure to have it set up in BIOS to boot from cd. System recovery loads up asks me the country then I click next then select operating system u want to repair, but it seems it gets stuck there because there's just a blue circle spinning but hard drive light stop flashing n it's not on at all..so what can I do now. All I want to do is get my computer back to it's original setting. Please anyone help! Thanks

A:Need help restoring laptop to factory settings

Welcome
I will give you exactly what you are asking for, a computer like it was when you took it home.
No stuff, settings, SPs, pics etc. If this is what you want boot and continually hit f11 during boot
If you want to save your stuff first let me know.
If the original settings are not what you want there are other solutions we can try.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/172283-need-help-restoring-laptop-factory-settings.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi

I am about to do a factory settings restore for my Sony Vaio laptop,by using F10,while booting it up.
Can I please know if the drivers will be retained atleast the basic ones like sound card drivers or Video(display drivers) or should I download the same and create a backup??
and can anyone please help me to a link where i can download and get sony Vaio Drivers?

thanks
SD

A:Drivers- Restoring Factory settings

and welcome to the Forum

The F10 restore feature should return the system to the state it was shipped so drivers should be there. You can find updated ones at the Sony Support Site

Be sure to backup any data you cherish . . it will be wiped when you restore

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/drivers-restoring-factory-settings-509029.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi new here
I had to do a parallel install of xp on my imac running xp pro sp3 on bootcamp.
it lost connection to the inbuilt usb so i couldn't log in, or do a repair, so I did the parallel install.
Now with all the old files and settings still on my drive but not active, and an extra c/windows folder re-named c/windows3 that I'm currently running off (just like a new computer).
Is there some way I can either repair the old c/windows folder to run again, or can I transfer the necessary items to make my new install as it was before the problem.
When I start up, in the black screen I get 2 choices of systems to choose from, choose the wrong one and usb is lost all on that boot up, but restart and choose the rightone and its good.
hope someone can help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restoring-old-settings-after-parallel-install.729516/
Relevancy 52.89%

My laptop recently failed to boot up properly on being switched on. I followed the instructions on the HP website which included going on to BIOS and restoring the laptop to its BIOS default settings. Will I have lost any of the data stored on the device

A:Restoring BIOS default settings

Hi, Resetting the bios defaults will not have affected any of the files stored on your hard drive. Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Restoring-BIOS-default-settings/td-p/5604430
Relevancy 52.89%

Okay, so i turn off my laptop for the night. I come home from school the next day i turn it on.
My laptop freezes, after a while a blue screen flashes and the computer turns off. Then i turn on my laptop again it does the same thing.

So i decided to i have to restore my laptop.
I press f8 and it brings me to the menu
i click on repair your computer
then it brings me to the artistic blue screen background but nothing pops up. I know there's supposed to be a box that pops out that gives you some sort of option but it doesn't. All that shows is the mouse cursor (i'm able to move it) and the blue background screen.

Any suggestions on what i should do?
Thanks guys.

Dell Inspiron windows 7 64 bit

A:Need Help Restoring my laptop to factory settings!!

Work through these steps using the System Recovery Options on Win7 DVD or System Repair Disk: Windows 7 fails to boot

Report back on each step as there may be other tests needed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/211970-need-help-restoring-my-laptop-factory-settings.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi My pc was running really slow then screen went blank Returned for repair under warranty and motherboard bios replaced they were a bit vague about what exactly they d done It was still slow internet explorer disappeared from start menu and could not be found installed on the pc Not a big problem because I use Firefox or Chrome Norton stopped slow still factory after to settings restoring pc working Malwarebytes Superantispyware found trojans spybot found registry entries In the end I restored it to factory settings but its still running slow despite updates I haven t put my files back on the pc because I m not sure if the external backup is infected as well In particular the browsers no matter which pc still slow after restoring to factory settings one EI FF or Chrome are still really slow to load and usually stop responding while loading home page yahoo Surely there cant still be an infection The scans have come up clean so whats going on I d be really grateful for any help or suggestions nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-still-slow-after-restoring-to-factory-settings.1117233/
Relevancy 52.89%

My computer has so much clutter on it as well as viruses and spyware. I would like to just start from scratch again. I have saved all of the important files on there. Could someone direct me as to how to go about restoring my computer to the factory settings?

A:Restoring my computer to Factory Settings

You will need the Original Operating system CD, Motherbaord CD and the CD's for any other driver disks that are required sound card, SATA ect...
after you have backed up all your important data.
Enter into your Bios and change your boot sequince to boot CD first . reboot with the OS CD in the drive. When it starts Do a clean install including a format of the drive. Some people like to run a Zero fill on there drive just to make sure that no old data is left on the drive this can be done with Boot Nuke http://dban.sourceforge.net/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restoring-my-computer-to-factory-settings-82132.html
Relevancy 52.89%

i have tried to do a factory reset on afriends hp mini 110. All seemed to be going to plan until i got the message "set up is preparing your account for the 1st time" The comp then goes to the welcome page before displaying the message " windows could not complete the installation.to install windows on this computer restart the installation"
I have tried everything over the last couple of days but now think there may be a problem with the hard drive.
Any help would be appreciated.
o/s is windows 7 starter