Windows Support Forum

Solved: Ahci bios?

Q: Solved: Ahci bios?

dell inspiron 530 with xp on it, i notice that during the black screens on startup it says AHCI Bios not intsalled, it seems everything is running ok, but this has me worried as I haven't seen it before, I reinstalled setup disk and went to repair, it went to cmd prompt, I then tried to do CHKDSK/R" command is not recognized

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Solved: Ahci bios?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 69.23%

see second post.

I have a 3TB drive D: for data formatted with GPT.

Had BIOS OnChip SATA Type set as "RAID" "As SATA Type" from back in the day. When I took out the RAID, I forgot to change this to AHCI when I reformatted and got rid of RAID drives!

Changing to "AHCI" "As SATA Type" as shown in image in second post, causes Windows 7 x64 to lose / not see the GPT on my drive D: and it wants to "initialize" it as MBR or GPT-- no way!!

A:cloned C:, installed AHCI drivers, changed BIOS to AHCI, D:'s GPT gone

ok, returning to BIOS and setting back to RAID, as AHCI typeenabled me to view the drive D: again
C: drive seems to be running much more slowly again.
these drives are plugged into the OnChip SATAWith AHCI as SATA typeno drive D:

With RAID as SATA typehave drive D:
but C: definitely dog-tired-slow
I really should not have fiddled with this at 3AM on a Sunday morning!!! Bah, I'm a pro, what could go wrong???

I'm not sure why changing to AHCI causes windows to miss the GPT on the D: drive.
Can I back this GPT up and restore it? Detect it after changing to AHCI? this is my only large drive, I can't back up the entire fricking thing.

The other question this makes me ask is how do I keep my GPT when I move to another motherboard? I don't trust the GPT like I do MBR hm....

edit: changing back again, it does not seem any faster. Doing more reading, it's ok to leave it as RAID because AHCI functions are still available no? So I really shouldn't gain/lose any performance?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/353119-cloned-c-installed-ahci-drivers-changed-bios-ahci-d-s-gpt-gone.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I bought a brand new SSD, installed it in Windows 7, and there is no option in my BIOS for the SATA controller (to switch between IDE and AHCI Mode). How do I determine whether my computer's sata controller is using IDE or AHCI?

I want to make sure that my AHCI controller is enabled and not IDE when using TRIM.

If anyone can look at the picture below and determine whether my computer is default in IDE or AHCI, then I will mark this as Solved.

Thanks.

A:No AHCI option in BIOS, is my computer default in AHCI or IDE?

Run this tool and see what it says,

AS SSD Benchmark 1.7.4739.38088 Download - TechSpot

It will show you what mode it's running in.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/335210-no-ahci-option-bios-my-computer-default-ahci-ide.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Did anybody reading this find where to change AHCI to RAID in the BIOS of a Asus p8z77 v pro motherboard?

A:Solved: AHCI to RAID in the BIOS of an Asus p8z77 v pro motherboard.

Assuming that board supports RAID, it should be in the SATA controller options.
EDIT: User Manual, page 4-23

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-ahci-to-raid-in-the-bios-of-an-asus-p8z77-v-pro-motherboard.1142396/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron 530s. It has a 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD.

The last two times I started up the computer, it started up MUCH SLOWER than before. It took forever to get through the Dell splash screen. It used to take 10 seconds to get through it, but now it takes more like three to five minutes. After I get past the flash screen, it flashed "AHCI BIOS not installed"

This is the first time I've seen it, and I haven't touched the inside of the computer or changed any settings. The only thing I've done is upgraded to Windows 7 Professional.

Does anyone know how to get this to go away? I hardly shut down my computer now so I can avoid the extremely long startup process.

Thanks in advance!

Christian

Relevancy 63.64%

I have an issue with the SATA BIOS settings which have options for configure as IDE or set it to as AHCI So now I can only boot Vista when it is set to AHCI and only boot the XP when the BIOS SATA is set to configure as IDE and if not it gives a stop code error B And I did search for a ASUS P QL Pro motherboard BIOS update and I have the lattest version apparently AHCI BIOS Vista motherboard only can settings ASUS Solved: boot Also I did look in each one s Device Manager to check for driver updates such as for the serial ATA controllers So how can I boot both without changing the BIOS setting each time I dual boot with the Vista boot Solved: ASUS motherboard BIOS AHCI settings can only boot Vista manager and in my motherboard manual it does say quot Due to Intel chipset driver support regulation the AHCI mode is not supported in Windows XP environment and is only supported by Vista with OS built Solved: ASUS motherboard BIOS AHCI settings can only boot Vista in driver If I try to boot either XP or Vista without changing the SATA BIOS settings it gives stop code B nbsp

A:Solved: ASUS motherboard BIOS AHCI settings can only boot Vista

Fixed by changing the BIOS SATA configuration settings from that AHCI to IDE, enhanced. And then reinstalled Vista so that both XP and Vista use that same BIOS setting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-asus-motherboard-bios-ahci-settings-can-only-boot-vista.824113/
Relevancy 60.63%

I errantly switched the BIOS setting from Raid-AHCI to IEDI while attempting to allow my system to recognize a newly installed SSD nbsp The plan was to clone my HDD to the SSD as the boot Won't BIOS to from and No Boot Acc... RAID-AHCI IDE BIOS Change drive but it wasn't seen in windows nbsp Initially was able to see it in the BIOS settings nbsp Long story short I switched from Raid-AHCI to IEDI and have not been able to boot the PC BIOS Change from RAID-AHCI to IDE Won't Boot and No BIOS Acc... since nbsp On boot the pc turns on and the fans for the power supply and NVIDIA cards spin but there is nothing visual taking place on the monitor It's BIOS Change from RAID-AHCI to IDE Won't Boot and No BIOS Acc... as if the devices are getting power but the motherboard doesn't know they are there nbsp Tried clearing the CMOS unplugged took out CMOS battery held reset button and that didn't seem to make a difference nbsp There is supposed to be a recovery jumper on the MB E but the pins seem to be missing on my motherboard so that's not an option nbsp I'm pretty sure that BIOS Change from RAID-AHCI to IDE Won't Boot and No BIOS Acc... if I can get the MB back to Raid-AHCI mode it should respond for me again nbsp Unfortunately without access to the BIOS on boot I have no idea how to do that nbsp Any and all suggestions are welcome nbsp Thanks in advance

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/BIOS-Change-from-RAID-AHCI-to-IDE-Won-t-Boot-and-No-BIOS/td-p/5566239
Relevancy 56.76%

I understand that if I wanted to get a SSD (such as the Vertex 2), I would need to enable AHCI in the BIOS.

However, I have pullout chasses in my PC which allow me to swap in and out about 7 different hard drives that I use for various data storage. I also have one hard drive which is an XP boot and another which is a Windows 7 boot. I am currently using plain old SATA in the BIOS.

Can anyone please explain what effect turning on AHCI would have to my system? Would I still be able to access the data disks? Would I still be able to boot off the bootable disks?

Thanks!

A:AHCI in BIOS

It would be best to start the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) with a fresh install of Windows. All 3 of my drives are SATA and configured in a 1TB striped RAID. ACHI is automatically enabled when using a RAID array. The data on all your drives may disappear when they are connected when you enable ACHI

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ahci-in-bios.158228/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have SSD as primary system drive and 2x512GB HDDs as RAID 1 for storage.

In bios i have options to set them as AHCI, IDE and one more that i forgot...

What is the proper way to set them?

A:How to set SSD and HDD in the bios (AHCI, IDE...)

Hello.

Just be advised if you change the settings at all you may lose access to all the data, especially the RAID, if you're not very aware what you are doing then it's best left as is.

The tutorial linked below will give you some of the basics, but you have been warned.
AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/245432-how-set-ssd-hdd-bios-ahci-ide.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello nbsp My question about my HP computer's BIOS is two-fold this is the second part first part has already been answered nbsp The computer is a -bit HP Pavilion Media Center TV m uk model RE AA ABU with ASUS motherboard P BW-LA Rev Basswood nbsp with Intel P chipset I D socket LGA Core Duo CPU E GHz with GB DDR RAM and BIOS by Phoenix Technologies dated Core Version and Win -bit Ultimate SP nbsp Due to its age the original HDD has been imaged over onto an SSD Samsung EVO nbsp MZ- E T B following Samsung's guidelines religiously I have performed this with my laptop a few years younger than the desktop and everything works as it should The desktop has the following issue nbsp Upon restart after imaging the original HDD over onto the SSD one must enter BIOS and change the settings to AHCI other options being IDE and RAID in the Advanced Menu But alas Windows OS fails to start and an error message is produced immensely briefly all relevant images have been posted on my profile but I do not know if they can be viewed as I am new on this forum nbsp When starting my HP desktop computer it informs me that SATA AHCI BIOS is installed but that This version supports only Hard Disk and CDROM drives nbsp I have researched the error and it appears that because this was not a fresh installation of an OS the AHCI driver needs to be manually switched on in the registry I am guessing here but I have found instructions from Microsoft and I have nbsp tried this option -- support dot microsoft dot com en-us kb of changing the value in that registry key after making its back-up and then restarting and changing the BIOS configuration from - AHCI using an BIOS SSD) (when issue RAID to AHCI but when I exit BIOS and it starts loading the OS exactly the same error message comes up nbsp The system will only work in RAID which it has originally been set to by HP Apparently for the correct and most effective functioning of an SSD e g TRIM etc BIOS needs to be set in native AHCI nbsp Nevertheless I have attached another Samsung SSD EVO to see if the motherboard will allow me to install Win when the BIOS - AHCI issue (when using an SSD) AHCI setting in BIOS has been chosen this is recommended for fresh installs of an OS anyway Even though the same message has come up that SATA AHCI BIOS is installed but that This version supports only Hard Disk and CDROM drives the error message has no longer showed up and Windows has loaded and opened fine nbsp This leads me to believe that there is an issue with the msahci and iaStorV drivers specifically with their registry keys which must have the wrong values preventing the OS to start with the AHCI setting I have taken screenshots of the existing SSD's registry values for those keys images available on my profile and have named them all OLD and then I have taken screenshots of the other SSD's registry values for those two keys the freshly installed Win OS and have named them all NEW to easily identify them nbsp My observation so far is that the OLD iaStorV key value Enum is almost identical to the NEW msahci apart from one digit in the PCI VEN Data value and that the NEW iaStorV has the start value at instead of i e it is disabled if I understand this correctly nbsp nbsp Therefore I need to know how I must change the registry values to enable the computer to load the OS with the BIOS setting in AHCI because in RAID the software cannot even see whether the SSD is connected via SATA or not Would simply putting in Start in iaStorV help with msahci having in Start The problem I can see with this is that the old msahci has under Enum in the Data Root LEGACY MSAHCI As I do not know anything about how to correctly edit the registry this probably comes across very simplistic nbsp Another scenario has also occured to me and that is copying over the NEW registry keys to the old system same rig same OS But I am concerned that after that if it goes wrong the system might not be able to start in either AHCI or RAID nbsp nbsp In ... Read more

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/BIOS-AHCI-issue-when-using-an-SSD/td-p/5772672
Relevancy 55.9%

My vaio doesn't have the option to chose achi or ide in it anymore it used to before Sony updated the bios a year or two back Anyways I don't know how to change my start type to achi from within without from Bios IDE Switch to AHCI Windows Here are the relavent registry keys I didn't have a StartOverrude in storachi any one have any ideas Thanks iastor HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services iaStor Type dword Start dword ErrorControl dword Tag dword DisplayName oem inf PNP DeviceDesc Intel AHCI Controller Group SCSI Miniport HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services iaStor StartOverride dword pciide HKEY Switch from IDE to AHCI without Bios LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services pciide Type dword Start dword ErrorControl dword Group System Bus Extender Tag dword HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services pciide StartOverride dword storahci HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services storahci Type dword Start dword ErrorControl dword Group SCSI Miniport Tag dword DisplayName mshdc inf storahci ServiceDescription Microsoft Standard SATA AHCI Driver HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services storahci Parameters PnpInterface dword HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services storahci Enum PCI VEN amp DEV B F amp SUBSYS D amp REV amp amp amp FA Count dword NextInstance dword iastorv HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services iaStorV Type dword Start dword ErrorControl dword Group SCSI Miniport Tag dword DisplayName iastorv inf PNP DeviceDesc Intel RAID Controller Windows HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services iaStorV Parameters queuePriorityEnable dword BusType dword HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services iaStorV StartOverride dword

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/499110/switch-from-ide-to-ahci-without-bios/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a SSD drive amp want SSD? Setup for Bios AHCI to use the AHCI Mode amp Native Command Quening from W Pro X I performed the Regedit by setting the START paramater in the registry key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet services msahci from quot quot to quot quot - and then making the switch in the BIOS from IDE to AHCI Windows still would not load The Bios screen would not load W I have a Gigabyte GA-EP -UD R Board that has a Intel P Chipset amp I installed the latest Intel Sata drivers before I tried the change I had to use my Acronis True Image program to get W back up amp running My Board has Intel Sata ports amp two Gigabyte ports on the board I don't use the Gigabyte ports amp they were left in the IDE AHCI Bios Setup for SSD? mode in the Bios when it failed The Bios AHCI Bios Setup for SSD? screen loaded differently but failed as I said to load W Can I fix it without doing a clean install Did i do something wrong I also saw a MS Fixit for this change If I perform a clean install will W load amp install in the AHCI Native modes with the bios setting to AHCI amp not IDE I have the SSD for programs amp a TB HDD for storage amp backup Thanks I

A:AHCI Bios Setup for SSD?

It is possible that the registry setting that you changed only supports the Microsoft AHCI drivers, not the Intel ones.

I don't know whether it'd be practical to uninstall the Intel drivers.

If all else fails, a re-install of Windows with the SATA controller set to AHCI in the BIOS should work fine. You should not need to install any third-party driver to install Windows on a drive that uses one of the Intel SATA ports.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/207593-ahci-bios-setup-ssd.html
Relevancy 55.9%

When I turn on my Dell XPS 410 I can't get by a screen that says:

Serial ATA AHCI BIOS Version iSrc 1.02.22 07062006
Copyright © 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
**this version supports only hard disk and CDROM drives**

Controller bus#00, device#1f, function#02: 02 ports, 02 devices
Port--00: hard disk, wdc wd2500js-75ncb3
(this drive is controlled by the RAID BIOS)
Port--01: CDROM, nec DVD+/-rw nd--3650A
AHCI BIOS installed
Intel® matrix storage manager option rom v6.0.0.1022 ICH8R
Copyright© 2003-2006 intel corporation. All rights reserved.

I have no idea what to do. Please help.

Thank you

A:Sata ATA AHCI BIOS

Can you boot into safe mode?

Any onscreen error messages?

The lines you list...are from the BIOS, which is part of the normal boot process.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/443048/sata-ata-ahci-bios/
Relevancy 55.9%

heyas Setup mobo abit ab pro BIOS release V latest BIOS Installed Not AHCI release Intel Core Duo E GHz x GB Western Digital k rpm Raptors x GB mushkin xp - DDR - ram x HP dvd optical drives LightScribe edit the hard drives are running raid stripe awardBIOS V PG serial ata ACHI BIOS Version iSrc intel matrix storage ICH R w RAID out of nowhere I noticed that my hdd led and floppy led were solid on I rebooted and the puter didn t recognize either of the optical drives and the floppy drive didn t function a direct quote from the mobo AHCI BIOS Not Installed during bootup detect drives done no any drives found I went to the BIOS to see if anything had changed all looked well then I replaced all the cables sata ide floppy no change then I unplugged both optical drives and the floppy the hdd indicator led went back to normal I then tried connecting just the floppy both the hdd led and the floppy led were constant on then I tried just one optical drive same result I tried all combinations but the result was that if either optical or the floppy were connected both indicator led s would remain constant on so I thought that the mobo was fried so I swapped AHCI BIOS Not Installed in a new mobo and the problem was still there then during bootup I noticed quot AHCI BIOS Not Installed quot this is a function of the cpu correct Is this why the drives are not recognized What does this have to do with the floppy Also BIOS only recognizes of GB of ram AHCI BIOS Not Installed from windows I can run cpu-z and it gives me information on all sticks of ram intel retail cpu s are warranted by the manufacturer for years right the company I bought it from seems to have gone under monarch computers another dilemma is that I bought the mobo and cpu as a combo they installed the cpu to the mobo I received the original cpu box but the invoice says Core Combo anyone know offhand if this is a problem before I go to intel hope this makes sense lol thanks xyn nbsp

A:AHCI BIOS Not Installed

Look at this helpful Thread that relates a little to your issue.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic18329.html

Seem that error is the raid bios, according to that thread you need to go into Bios and find the SATA operation and turn it from "Raid Autodetect AHCI" to combination. At least that is what that thread says, I have no personal experience with this but if you are not using raid why leave it on to cause issues.

Hopefully that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ahci-bios-not-installed.92942/
Relevancy 55.9%

A little while ago I noticed that my motherboard's BIOS was configured to use IDE instead of AHCI I don't know if I installed Windows while it was in IDE mode and didn't realize it or if the BIOS just switched it by itself can it do that I've BIOS Issues and AHCI read there's a way to switch it back to AHCI mode without requiring a reinstall by going into the registry and modifying the values for msahci and pciide before restarting and switching to AHCI That doesn't work for me though BIOS and AHCI Issues What ends up happening is that in the POST screen the motherboard will detect the DVD drive fine but when it tries to detect the hard drives it'll say something along the lines of quot Auto detecting SATA quot and then just stay there I don't know BIOS and AHCI Issues if it actually progresses after that since I didn't have the patience to wait but the point is that it shouldn't be taking that long It doesn't even boot into Windows My real question is this Is there something wrong with my motherboard My computer is getting a bit old years and I have noticed that the motherboard is taking longer to detect devices Before the computer would show the motherboard splash screen immediately but now it displays quot Loading ASUS Express Gate quot for a few seconds before doing so Afterwards it also tells me that it can't detect a hard disk for a split second before booting into Windows I think all of this started happening after I unplugged everything to clean out the computer I might've rearranged some SATA plugs too and then plugged everything back in If this isn't a problem with Windows is it possible that the motherboard's AHCI or SATA controllers failed Or maybe it's a problem with my hard drives' SATA controllers I can boot in IDE mode but not AHCI mode

A:BIOS and AHCI Issues

This is the tutorial for how to switch to AHCI if W7 was installed in IDE mode:

As for your boot problem, it sounds like the BIOS setting reverted to default and Asus ExpressGate was enabled afterward. The BIOS can reset if you removed the 3v battery from the motherboard, but it can also reset if you caused a short circuit while removing parts, even for a brief second.

You can disable ExpressGate in BIOS. That 'feature' will slow down boot time. Also enable 'Quick Boot' and disable 'Full Screen Logo'.

If you moved things around in the PCI slots it is always a good idea to perform a ClearCMOS (CLRTC) procedure afterward. This forces the system to re-recognize all devices and it resets the BIOS defaults too. It may also clear up any configuration errors that are delaying boot.
The procedure is in your motherboard manual, or ask here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/325145-bios-ahci-issues.html
Relevancy 55.9%

My current computer is a inspiron 530s running Windows 7 (of course) and in it there isn't an option in the BIOS for AHCI mode. I have the newest version of the BIOS and was wondering if there might be something else I might could update or change to make the option available. Thank you for your time and i'm sorry if this isn't the best place to post this thread on the forum.

A:No AHCI mode in BIOS?

Concealed10,
Welcome to SF. You will want to visit the Dell site to see if a newer bios version doesn't address this very issue. If it does then you will want to back up all data and research in the Dell manual the proper way to do a bios update as any false move can brick your rig. This isn't to say that it's not straight forward but you must adhere to the procedure.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/316580-no-ahci-mode-bios.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hey everyone First today I wanted to enable AHCI with my GA-EP -DS amp Samsung HD LD C System Drive with Vista BIOS & problem AHCI x amp HD LJ D Tools Media Games After rebooting twice D didn t show up after first reboot driver install I guess former AHCI & BIOS problem drive D is now there as drive F I can t start anything that s installed on it obviously I wanted to update my Bios but I don t have a USB-Stick at hand and the ONLY disks I have found are those of Linux SUSE which I seem to not be able to format Anybody know why this is I don t really trust the Gigabyte Windows BIOS flash Any help appreciated Best regards JD PS BTW to test the change after enabling AHCI I copied GB from D to C with the standard IDE setting and then with ACPI enabled quot SATA RAID AHCI Mode quot and quot Onboard SATA IDE Ctrl Mode quot During both tests I had Opera running and started a wmv file with WMP about secs into the copy process With the standard setting it set in with about - MB sec there was no halt or slowdown when I started the media file and it took m s until completition With AHCI enabled the copy process started with - MB sec then when I wanted to start the media file it took about secs until WMP started playing the file the transfer rate dropped to - MB sec and never recovered This time the process took nearly m to complete Is this normal behavior Am I missing something PS I just wanted to make another run with AHCI which I did but I couldn t expand the copy window to see the info on transfer rate etc Anyway time until completition was almost m flat this is without starting any media file I don t really know what to think do nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

Good day I recently installed a Samsung EVO SSD drive to my old Gateway GT OS Windows Home premium bit SP CPU AMD Phenom Quad Core GHz Motherboard R - Foxconn Bengal RS in Not found AHCI Bios Motherboard Memory GB of DDR Graphics Card s Integrated ATI Radeon HD video Sapphire Radeon HD Sound Card Integrated ALC S HD codec Monitor quot Samsung SyncMaster Hard Drives One Internal Samsung SSD EVO One Internal GB RPM AHCI Not found in Bios SATA II hard drive PSU Ultra LSP W Case Gateway -Bay uATX Computer Case Cooling CPU - Arctic Cooler Freezer Keyboard HP Mouse Logitech Laser Before Installing Windows HP and wanting AHCI Not found in Bios to take advantage of the drives quot Trim quot function I checked the bios settings in quot Integrated Peripherals quot I was hoping to change the on-board sata mode to AHCI I couldn't find the AHCI setting anywhere This board is SATA II only Would this board foxconn bengal rs Rev be to old to be able to select the AHCI mode The drive did come with software which I did not install Thanks N

A:AHCI Not found in Bios

Hi,
I doubt it has it
I would imagine an old computer would have old legacy bios.

Why do you need it ahci ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/378609-ahci-not-found-bios.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello people, i'm new in this forum so i'm sorry if i shouldn't post in this section
so i just bought a new SSD (850 evo 250gb) And it says on it's software i should enable AHCI mode on my bios
to get it faster. also the tests results show 250 when it was supposed to hit 520-540, and i think it's due to not having
AHCI mode, but i tried to change it in my BIOS, but i only have these 3 options:

- S-ATA+P-ATA
- S-ATA (which is the one i'm using now)
- P-ATA

Isn't there any other way to change it to AHCI mode?
thank you.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/66042-i-dont-have-any-ahci-mode-my-bios.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi this might not be the correct forum but I thought i'd try anyway.

Basically i've bought a new pc and the BIOS 'American Megatrends' seems to be very difficult to try and find how to change to AHCI mode. I need to change it as im going to be installing a mac os distro.

If anyone has any experience with the BIOS software then please let me know!

Oh and here are my specs if u need them:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 (AM3, 3.20 GHz, 8MB Total Cache),
Standard Heatsink & CPU Fan,
ASUS M4N68T-M LE V2,
2 x MUSHKIN 2GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM,
POWER COLOR ATI RADEON HD 5770 1GB PCI-E GRAPHICS CARD,
1000GB S-ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive,
SONY OPTIARC 24X SATA DVD BURNER,
802.11G 54mbps PCI Wireless Network Card

Kind Regards,

Scott

A:Changing to AHCI in BIOS

Check page 45 in your manual, download from here:
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS M4N68T-M

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/170300-changing-ahci-bios.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I can't access to this option in the BIOS setup. I need a solution without risk of modding the BIOS or a way to acced to BIOS setup Advance Mode. Could you help me? Cheers

A:Cannot select AHCI option in BIOS for SSD

Hi: Please read this related thread.  You don't need to (and can't) enable AHCI on your notebook. SSD TRIM support is supported in RAID mode for your model notebook as long as you have the Intel RST driver installed. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/How-to-enable-AHCI-for-HP-ENVY-...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Cannot-select-AHCI-option-in-BIOS-for-SSD/td-p/5616070
Relevancy 55.47%

I have a Notebook HP ELITEBOOK 820 G2 and i want to change the HDD option! SATA TO AHCI but i do not find these option.Please, somebody can help me. The version of the BIOS is  N75 Ver. 01.04

A:CHANGE SATA to AHCI BIOS

It is already set to ahci and could not be changed to anything other than that. What makes you think it is other than ahci?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/CHANGE-SATA-to-AHCI-BIOS/td-p/5643456
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi i have a ami in modes biostar bios ahci few questions regarding AHCI in my bios First let me explain i did the Regedit tweak to enable AHCI but I'm confused as to what mode to use From my Bios manual Biostar A TA GX A OnChip SATA ahci modes in biostar ami bios Type This option allows you to select the on-chip Serial ATA operation mode Options Native IDE Default RAID AHCI Legacy IDE IDE- gt AHCI SATA IDE Combined Mode This option controls the SATA PATA combined mode Options Enabled Default Disabled I have it set to AHCI currently and i see a screen detects AHCI drives when booting and then boots windows I notice in this mode under hard drive configuration i don't see any drives but it still shows it under boot options I tried the IDE- gt AHCI mode and I can then see my SATA hard drives show up in hard drive configuration and was still able to boot but i wasn't ahci modes in biostar ami bios sure if this is the correct mode to use and if AHCI was enabled or if both IDE and AHCI was enabled Or if it is some mixed mode I'm Trying to figure out ahci modes in biostar ami bios the difference between them modes I disabled SATA IDE combined mode as i have no IDE drives in my system I believe that is only needed enabled when i have IDE and SATA drives installed at the same time

A:ahci modes in biostar ami bios

Bud,

Your manual should explain the difference. Unless you are using a RAID configuration, and your Motherboard can handle it, select AHCI.

You may need to install its drivers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/206023-ahci-modes-biostar-ami-bios.html
Relevancy 55.47%

This may have been posted before but I am looking loading BIOS error No XP AHCI when for some help I have a computer that just got brand new No software or anything I am No AHCI BIOS error when loading XP trying to load windows and there was a bios PW No AHCI BIOS error when loading XP on the PC So I removed the battery like a dummy and now I am able to get into the BIOS but I cant load windows It is a Fujistu Siemens computer with a CYAN S mobo gb RAM and SATA drives Now it had XP or some form on the computer before and the HDs are clean now I tried to No AHCI BIOS error when loading XP DL a floppy to F on install and no lucky I am using the sata ports should I be using the raid ports Dp Wc Gc ESB E XEON FDIMM Eatx SATA - G Raid A Rohs Anyway if someone can point me t othe right place or help me out that would be awesome I just want to get this up and running and load XP on it thanks J nbsp

A:No AHCI BIOS error when loading XP

CYAN S2696 you mean tyan
go to the MB website get manual re-set bios
set hard drive mode to ide
google no CYAN MB's

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-ahci-bios-error-when-loading-xp.98835/
Relevancy 55.47%

This is the message I keep getting on boot up. I was messing around in the bios before I was getting this message. I managed to reinstall Windows 7 and it is working fine. The hard drive is Sata. I may have plugged it into another sata port on the board. Anyone have a clue how I can fix this?

Serial ATA AHCI BIOS, version UPSD Source 08-24-2007
Copyright (c0 2003-2007 Intel Corporation
** This version supports only Hard Disk and CDROM drives**
Please wait. This will take few seconds.

Controller Bus#0 Device#1F, Function#2: 06 ports, 01 Devices
Port-01: No Device Connected
Port-02: No Device Connected
Port-03: No Device Connected
Port-04: No Device Connected
Port-05: No Device Connected
AHCI BIOS not installed

A:Getting AHCI BIOS not installed message

go into your bios and turn off AHCI mode

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/getting-ahci-bios-not-installed-message.173476/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi I got a weird thing going on and have NO clue whats the cause all not please bios - recognized AHCI in at help enabled - if HD I want to install win on a clean drive but I cant even get to the install options because the drive is not recognized when i turn on the machine It stalls even before I can get into the BIOS settings I need to manuallly disconnect the drive gt then change back to IDE mode inside the bios and now I am able to install Windows The funny thing I have a backup image of HD not recognized at all if AHCI enabled in bios - please help - a running WIN installation and if I copy it onto the exactly same drive it runs without problems in AHCI mode does anyone have an idea what might cause the problem another weird thing i already installed win in IDE mode and thought that maybe later once the installation is done i could switch back to AHCI well same thing once ahci HD not recognized at all if AHCI enabled in bios - please help - mode was enabled in the bios the drive was not recognized anymore i also tried to install the chipset drivers from within windows and got a quot the system does not meet the minumum requirements quot after searching a solution for this problem i found out that it wont install until i have ahci mode active ugh btw its a gigabyte ga p ds and a WD Velociraptor drive

A:HD not recognized at all if AHCI enabled in bios - please help -

There are 6 SATA ports on the "South Bridge" controller (Orange ports). There are 2 SATA ports on the "Gigabyte SATA 2 Chip" controller (Purple ports). The orange ports use the generic Intel SATA/RAID drivers.

Which port do you have the hard drive connected to? Have you tried it in one of the the other ports?

That motherboard has a higher than normal number of complaints on Newegg. It could be defective.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/205813-hd-not-recognized-all-if-ahci-enabled-bios-please-help.html
Relevancy 55.47%

HI

I have 2X HDD's 1 running windows and other for storage, both were working just fine.

A week ago I had to change my Sata Controller in Bios to AHCI from IDE. I installed a new windows and my 1 Primary HDD is working just fine but my storage HDD doesn't show in windows.

My Bios shows both HDD but windows only one. (My primary HDD got 2 partitions 1-is for Windows and the other one is still empty but after sorting out my HDD problem will use it for duel booting)

Can someone please help my how do I get my 2ND HDD to work in windows without loosing all my data on it?

Regards

A:2nd HDD not working after swapping bios to AHCI

Welcome to the forum Ghozt.
Our experts will need to see some more information. Please read and use this tutorial by Golden and post the picture.

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/349217-2nd-hdd-not-working-after-swapping-bios-ahci.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have an older Gigabyte mobo, still on SATA2. There were 3 settings in the mobo that deals with IDE vs AHCI, I changed them all to AHCI. I also notice in the BIOS where it says "IDE Master 0", my SSD isn't listed there, it just says None. When I rebooted, there was an additional post screen that says it's searching for AHCI devices, then it says it didn't find any. I installed windows 8 anyway and it worked. I used AS SSD benchmark to confirm that it is running AHCI and aligned properly. So, according to that, I'm running on AHCI, but everytime my computer boots up I still get that same message: searching for AHCI devices and not finding any. What's wrong here?

A:SSD seems to be running in AHCI but BIOS not detecting?

Same is happening with my MB (check my sig), it doesn't show in boot menu but it's there when choosing default boot drive. My guess is that they were not ready for SSDs at the time. I scared me first time I put SSD in, thought it was DOA. It does show properly when in IDE mode but that's not good for SSD.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/58681-ssd-seems-running-ahci-but-bios-not-detecting.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all
It will mean a fresh CLEAN install of Windows I'm afraid but if you have decent SATA disks change the default setting in the BIOS from IDE to AHCI.

It really WILL improve system performance --one of my big bugbears on any discussion on performance is how the I/O subsytem (generally Disks) is forgotten - yet on most home computers the I/O subsystem is often the real cause of dreadful performance.

You'll have to do a windows CLEAN install as the system will BSOD if you just change the BIOS so you won't be able to run the installer from within Windows itself. (If you can you are very lucky).

It won't effect any Virtual machines you may have however (apart from improving disk performance).

Cheers
jimbo.

A:Change IDE to AHCI in BIOS - Much better performance

I went back and forth between AHCI being on and being off on my new box that I built in July. Honestly, with almost ever task I did and with any benchmarking tool, I didn't see any real performance gain with AHCI enabled.

Unfortuantely, with AHCI on, I do have about an 8 second delay on each boot as the storage controller initializes. And since I do boot daily, and it was costing me 8 seconds which I didn't pick back up elsewhere, I just run with AHCI disabled.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/29089-change-ide-ahci-bios-much-better-performance.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I just installed an ssd and would like to change the bios utility to ahci however there isnt an area that i am able to do this. the Computer is a Toshiba Satellite Pro A200 (psfa1a-003002).

Do I need to update the BIOS? Where do I get the update and how do I update it?

A:No AHCI in BIOS in Satellite Pro A200

As far as I know BIOS update doesn't offer some additional options. Please check BIOS settings again. In advanced BIOS options there should be SATA option and there you can change between compatibility and AHCI mode.

I have it on my P200. It is almost identical machine but 17? and your is 15? model.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?75464-No-AHCI-in-BIOS-in-Satellite-Pro-A200
Relevancy 55.47%

So I made a bit of a mistake... I threw windows 7 on my new SSD. without having AHCI mode already enabled.. well I found you could do a little registry edit and bam it works... not.. it caused my system to constantly restart until I went back to IDE mode. my mobo is a MSI 870 G45

Question...

Should I just reinstall windows in AHCI mode. I have not installed much at all except for drivers no biggie I'd like to stomp this early. but I'm worried about re-installing will just cause system to go back into rebooting like crazy.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/382297-ssd-ahci-mode-tried-reg-bios-attempt.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi, has just installed a SSD and was advised to set the SATA mode to AHCI. But the option available is only :disabledcompatibleEnhanced.is there a way that i can set it to AHCI?thanks!

A:A58 Thinkcentr‚Äče - bios no AHCI option

I have the same Problem, please could anbody help. I Did not find any possibilty in BIOS to activate ACHI

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/A58-Thinkcentr-e-bios-no-AHCI-option/td-p/964175
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey All,

I'm purchasing a new SSD next week. I've been reading up on it and it looks like I need to enable AHCI in my BIOS. I can't find any option for AHCI though.

I currently have my System setup as RAID0. This was how it was set up in the factory and I haven't changed it.

The only option I have is under SATA operation and I can either set it to "RAID Autodetect/ATA" or "RAID ON".

Is there anyway I can check to see whether AHCI is already enabled? If not will one of the above options enable it?

A:How to Enable AHCI - No option in BIOS.

Some motherboards incorporate AHCI SATA automatically. In the early days of SATA there was a lot of confusion in terminology. "RAID" - "AHCI" - all the same thing.

For your motherboard it looks like you want to choose "RAID Autodetect/ATA" to use a non-RAID setup with AHCI.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/232363-how-enable-ahci-no-option-bios.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I just upgraded an HDD to an SSD in a HP laptop. The BIOS does not show any SATA options at all. How can I figure out from within Windows 8.1 if AHCI is enabled?

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 Professional computer and I need to change the SATA mode from IDE to AHCI. The BIOS does not have an option to change the mode to AHCI. I have tried everything, from trying to install AHCI drivers (didn't work) and trying to edit registry files (changing all AHCI group files' start values to 0). Nothing has worked.
I would appreciate any help - this is urgent!

Thank you!
robotics5000

A:AHCI mode not in BIOS - URGENT

Are you sure, how old is this pc ?

Usually under the Advanced tab you`ll see a bunch of options, one says sata configuration, if you click on that it may pop up a sub menu.

IDE
AHCI
RAID

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/370863-ahci-mode-not-bios-urgent.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi Guys I have just fitted a SSD SSD as IDE i AHCI or hard Sata use do Bios in drive drive in my computer windows bit system when I installed windows onto the new SSD I just unplugged my old hard drive and fitted the SSD and just installed windows and all worked ok But after the SSD hard drive do i use Sata as IDE or AHCI in Bios new install was working I was told I needed to make SSD hard drive do i use Sata as IDE or AHCI in Bios a change in the BIOS to alter the settings from treat Sata as IDE to treat Sata as AHCI I did this and all was ok with the new drive the installation worked and the new drive is running ok But now I have since SSD hard drive do i use Sata as IDE or AHCI in Bios read that I should have made the bios change before installing windows nad should not be done after the install So do I need to reinstall windows with the bios changes to treat sata as AHCI before I install or will it work ok it seems to be ok but im not sure now I was also under the impression that I could still have my old hard drive fitted and just select the hard drive I wanted to boot from as the computer started I wanted to do this so I could still has access to all my old stuff if I needed it But now my old hard drive will not boot until I change the Bios back to treat Sata as IDE so is this not going to work or will I have to change the bios each time I need access to my old drive Also I have an Asus P T SE motherboard so can I plug the SSD into any Sata port or is it better to plug it into number if so how do I find which one is number one

A:SSD hard drive do i use Sata as IDE or AHCI in Bios

See this tutorial: AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/255450-ssd-hard-drive-do-i-use-sata-ide-ahci-bios.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have an Apricorn SOLO-X2 with SSD drive as my boot drive (cloned from my IDE drive). The setup required setting AHCI mode in both Windows and BIOS. It works great.

But NOW I may have to re-install windows (due to problems unrelated to the drive). The official installation disk does not see the SSD.

I think I can pull the SSD from the SOLO adapter and connect it directly to the SATA cables and install from there, setting AHCI off in BIOS, then setting it back on again in BIOS & windows after the install.

BUT, I'd like to know if there's a better (less painful) way.

A:reinstall win7 from CD AFTER setting AHCI in BIOS

You most likely need the pre-install drivers. But I can't see such a link on Apricorn website. Perhaps you have a CD that came with it?

- Anyway you should be able to install Windows by removing the SOLO-X2 (and the SSD) and attaching the SSD to a SATA port.
- After the installation reinsert SOLO-X2 to PCIe port (keep SSD connected to SATA port).
- Shut down PC, put SSD in SOLO-X2
- During boot up, enter the BIOS of your computer and assign the SSD on the Velocity Solo as your boot device.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/369998-reinstall-win7-cd-after-setting-ahci-bios.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello I have a Dell with Intel Pentium IV Ghz Chipset Intel X Express Memory Controller X I O Controller Intel FR I O Controller Hub ICH R Running Windows XP Home SP I have PATA drives DVD-ROM and DVD Writer and I have SATA Drives One SATA drive has my Windows XP Home OS and all of my system drivers programs etc The other SATA drives are for storage MP files photos movies etc All of my SATA and PATA drives are in working order I removed my original hard drive with the original OS and replaced it with a larger SATA drive This was a new hard drive and it Choose "AHCI" Operation Cannot BIOS/SATA Help! in was in working order I had issues installing the Windows XP OS onto the new drive so I went to a quot professional quot Long story but I wasn t happy with the job performed and I won t go back to him for any fixes So now I have my computer back the OS is running fine but only the DVD PATA drives and the hard drive with the OS are recognized Everything is connected and I did some Googling a dangerous thing admittedly and then I jumped into BIOS Instead of the quot RAID Autodetect - AHCI quot option the quot Combination quot AHCI amp ATA option was selected I know my computer previously had the AHCI option selected so I switched it back I made sure that SATA drive was the first option on boot-up I made sure that all of the drives were quot turned on quot recognized in BIOS -- Help! Cannot Choose "AHCI" in BIOS/SATA Operation I was feeling pretty good Help! Cannot Choose "AHCI" in BIOS/SATA Operation Then I rebooted I didn t get the Blue Screen of Help! Cannot Choose "AHCI" in BIOS/SATA Operation Death but I did get the quot Apologies Windows did not start successfully A recent hardware or software change might have caused quot message I tried safe mode last known good configuration -- nothing worked The only thing that works is if I go back into BIOS and change the SATA Configuration back to Combination my SATA drives are not recognized or to quot RAID ONLY quot which recognizes one of my extra SATA drives but not the other one Based on that dangerous Googling I think that if I can successfully get SATA Configuration to accept AHCI and reboot I should be OK with all three SATA drives and the two DVD drives to be recognized And life will be good again I ve read of other folks having issues because of missing AHCI drivers That might be the case with me I quot can t quot go through a process that reinstalls Windows XP from scratch -- the quot professional quot lost my reinstall disks and I have so many problems getting and installing drivers from Dell Can anyone help me out I ve never had anything but good luck with BleepingComputer so I m hoping to keep my luck running Thanks in advance JC

A:Help! Cannot Choose "AHCI" in BIOS/SATA Operation

I "can't" go through a process that reinstalls Windows XP from scratch -- the "professional" lost my reinstall disks and I have so many problems getting and installing drivers from Dell.I can't understand whyAs long as you registered it and you're the owner, they're freehttps://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...n/backupcd_form

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/263496/help-cannot-choose-ahci-in-biossata-operation/
Relevancy 54.61%

Want to pick up a ssd for my XPS 8000. Noticing that there is no AHCI in the bios. Is there a way around this?

I was hearing that I can set the BIOS to RAID and that will force AHCI. Is there any info on this?

Thank you and Merry Christmas.

A:SSD install on XPS Studio 8000 ( no AHCI in BIOS )

Hi Domchin,
Your system supports the use of an SSD (at SATA II speeds), but does not support AHCI.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19482762
Relevancy 54.61%

Recently, I upgrade SSD to replace HDD for U840 Ultrabook, but I cannot find AHCI under BIOS and would like to know on how to setup or upgrade BIOS for this AHCI feature, which is required for SSD.

Window 7 with latest updated

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions :>

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?89075-Missing-AHCI-for-Satellite-U840-on-BIOS
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi guys whenever I boot up my Gigabyte X48-DS4 I always get this BIOs screen that says like "SATA AHCI BIOs iSRC v1.07 Intel corporation blah blah" (something of that nature) that takes like 10 seconds to detect all my devices (My Harddrive and HDDVD/Bluray drive)

Is there anyway I can get rid of this screen, or shorten the time the computer stays on it? It really prolongs boot up time.

If needed: I have a Gigabyte X48-DS4 with a 750GB 7200.11 Seagate Barracuda harddrive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gigabyte-x48-sata-ahci-bios-quesiton.747731/
Relevancy 54.61%

I installed the most recent version of Win 7 7229 on my vertex 60Gb V 1.3 SSD the other night and after the first reboot the bios stopped when trying to discover the drive which is on '0'. The bios is set to AHCI (as it has always been with previous builds). If I change it to IDE then the drive is recognised and things go smoothly from there although the drive transfer rate in windows experience has dropped from 7.3 to 6.8. I have reflashed my bios but still the problem remains. I've swapped the leads round on my HD's but it still hangs when it reaches the Vertex drive.

Can anyone shed any light on what might have happened

A:Build 7229 hangs in Bios on AHCI

This happened to me a few builds back and a common problem i think. i just leave mine on IDE. I think it happens with an upgrade but not sure.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/13064-build-7229-hangs-bios-ahci.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Last boot message on screen "AHCI BIOS not installed", then blank screen.

non branded
XP Home
intel LGA 775 965 motherboard
adata 512 ddr2 ram
DVD ide burner
WD ide drive

Relevancy 54.18%

W BG CGE had BIOS and RAID AHCI) Option (RAID gone SATA or after BIOS W540 up... with two Samsung EVO TB working fine under Windows - x Did a by lenovo update tool recommended BIOS Update with the bios update manager to Update ran fine After Rebooting and loading defaults disabling Intel Rapid Start Changing BIOS boot option to legacy first I W540 SATA Option (RAID or AHCI) gone after BIOS up... recognized SATA Option AHCI or RAID in BIOS is gone At boot Intel Matrix Storage Configuration doesnot appear anymore where you can build RAID etc nbsp Boot then brings up message missing operating system nbsp Downgrade to BIOS impossible due to ISO File on www lenovo com support is not W540 SATA Option (RAID or AHCI) gone after BIOS up... system compatible message Lenovo Group Limited - Invalid system disk Replace te disk and then W540 SATA Option (RAID or AHCI) gone after BIOS up... press any key The link to the ISO File version at the bottom of this page links a non bootable ISO imagehttp support lenovo com en US downloads detail page DocID DS Also the downgrade to BIOS version found here http www notebook-driver com detail thinkpad-driver-id- doesnot work CD also messages Lenovo Group Limited - Invalid system disk - Replace nbsp Rewriting BIOS version GNET WW doesnot work says BIOS update not necessary nbsp Embedded Controller Version GMHT WW ME Firmware Version nbsp Anyone has a suggestion what to try next Anybody has a hint how to get back my RAID controller thanks and have fun Solved Go to Solution

A:W540 SATA Option (RAID or AHCI) gone after BIOS up...

Did you order your system as RAID model?  W540 does not come with RAID by default.  Lenovo has to license RAID option ROM (costs $) so it is only provided if you order RAID model from Lenovo.  As far I as I know, the only RAID model in Europe is 20BG001Sxx.  And your 20BG001Cxx model came with only 1 disk.  If I am wrong about this, please let me know.

I believe there was a bug in 1.05 that mistakenly enabled RAID on some non-RAID models.  The bug was fixed in 2.05, so unless you really have a RAID model W540, then RAID would become properly disabled on your system.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/W540-SATA-Option-RAID-or-AHCI-gone-after-BIOS-update-to-2-05/td-p/1429895
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi everyone I've got a Latitude D820 and I really like it. I'm really interested in getting an SSD to put in this system but I have my doubts. I have been told that SSDs only really like being in ACHI mode but the D820 doesn't have this option in the BIOS. I've also been told that SSDs running in IDE compatibility mode will cause bluescreens and have slow performance.
I did some digging around and discovered that Dell have hidden this option from BIOS setup for the sake of saving time, answering costumer support calls regarding SATA operation and drivers.
So my question is, will Dell be able to release a new BIOS revision with this feature enabled? The D820 is still a capable and i would hate to see it crippled in this way.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
George.

A:Latitude D820 BIOS | SATA AHCI Mode

The answer is that this system is long since end of life - it will not see any further BIOS updates.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19427659
Relevancy 54.18%

Today I used the AMD CCC overdrive utility and found my processor clocked at 4 GHz from the standard 3.6 GHz...very unstable. I reset the BIOS to default and lost my SATA controller setting of AHCI. When I set the BIOS to AHCI windows crashes with "can't find device error".
The registry setting for msahci is still at the value zero.
The system was rock solid with a Samsung 840 EVO. Samsung Magician indicates it is unable to detect SATA interface details.
Gigabyte GA970A-D3
AMD FX4100 3.6 Ghz
8GB generic memory 1600  
Gigabyte 7750 graphics card
Win 7 home premium

A:BIOS reset to default so AHCI setting lost to IDE

First of all - welcome to BC !

The Gigabyte manual should be able to provide the info to solve this problem. If you don't have a copy you can download one (pdf) from here :-

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3908#manual

I can usually fix BIOS problems, but I can't do it from memory, and I can't cycle through my own BIOS and use the web at the same time !

Chris Cosgrove

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/543155/bios-reset-to-default-so-ahci-setting-lost-to-ide/
Relevancy 54.18%

I wanted to be able to hot swap drives, on a Gigabyte GA-Z97-GAMING 3 M/B. Seems the Gigagbyte BIOS has 3 SATA MODE SELECTION options:
IDE, AHCI and RAID. It was set to RAID, which makes sense as the D drive is a pair of matched SATA III drives in a BIOS (software) RAID 1 pairing. C drive is an SSD with the OS on it. However this option doesn't seem to allow hot swapping, even though all drives are set in the BIOS with hot swapping enabled.
Setting the SATA MODE SELECTION parameter to AHCI doesn't allow booting, and I am afraid of enabling AHCI in the registry in case "something bad happens" to the RAID. What will happen if I both set AHCI in the BIOS and set the Win 7 64 bit registry for AHCI? Will the RAID1 Intel Rapid Storage Technology software RAID 1 pairing still work, and will I then have hot swappable drives? Thanks.

A:BIOS, RAID 1 and AHCI hot swappable drives question

Edit: Putting the edit in the beginning, but do read till the end please. You have a separate controller named Marvell? 88SE9172 chip, try setting this as AHCI in BIOS and attach the drives you want to hot-swap to GSATA3 ports 6-7(grey ports?), see if it works. Maybe you wont have to change to AHCI on your Intel chipset after all.

Hey, I have an older AMD Gigabyte board but things may be similar. I will share my experience.

First of all, in BIOS I have 3 different sets of options for IDE/RAID/AHCI. Namely, E-Sata ports (x2 SATAII), GSata (x2,SATAII) and OnChip SATA (this is the SB850 SATA ports,x6 SATAIII). E-Sata and GSata are both controlled by Jmicron chipset.

When I installed current OS a month ago on my new SSD, I installed with OnChip SATA mode set as RAID as I had 2x1TB BIOS raid0 and 2x640GB BIOS raid0 that I didn't want to break. The RAID option in theory is just a subset of AHCI and should have the same functionality. However, Samsung Magician program for the SSD had problems recognizing the SSD properly. So I had to change to AHCI.

You can definitely change the registry to load msahci(and IAStorV on intel?) on startup, it is just another driver to be loaded, OS will continue to use RAID drivers as long as BIOS is set to RAID. However, you will lose your BIOS raid once you switch to AHCI in BIOS, they will be back if you change back to RAID once again (just don't do anything to them in windows ). I backed up my data and set-up a new windows raid0 in disk management and it is working alright atm. So losing your BIOS software raid is not that much of a problem imho.

Now the interesting part is, although OnChip SATA ports are set for AHCI, non of the drives attached to these ports are hot-pluggable. They simply don't show in Safely Remove Hardware. Not that I want these show as removable mind you.

For hot-plug ability, I use E-Sata ports which are set to AHCI as well and had to install the corresponding JMicron drivers. The HD I use for backup purposes is connected to the PC with a SATA-to-ESata data cable and I have an adaptor that can supply 12V+5V 2Amps that has a molex ending, which in turn has a molex to sata power converter. I can hot-plug this disk and just use safely remove hardware like any usb stick/hdd. Now, this may not be what you are looking for, I just wanted to show you even though both chips are AHCI one of them doesn't list drives as hot-pluggable and the other one is.

The above setup is working alright for me so I have not looked into it further but there may be one other option that you can try. 2 weeks ago I had to work on a friend's laptop and his internal drive was showing as removable and I had to do a registry edit to mark it as internal. Perhaps the reverse can also be done?

My internal SATA device appears in Devices and Printers and in the - Microsoft Community

Also, keep in mind that when 2 drives are connected to the same power cable, if you hot-swap one drive it may kill the power to the other drive that is supposed to be keep working.

By the way, you didn't mention why you want hot-swap. Do you have some other drives for backup? You can't hot swap the OS or raid drives anyway.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable with your board will come along and answer proper.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/369465-bios-raid-1-ahci-hot-swappable-drives-question.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I have installed an SSD (Samsung EVO 850), and I want to ensure AHCI is set. Samsung Magician, says AHCI mode N/A, and I can't access the different menu items in the program. The PC is running Windows 10 - 64 bit.

A:Can't find AHCI setting option in BIOS HP pavilion dv7

Help us to help you by posting the following information. 1.  The complete Model Name. or Product Number. of the notebook - see This HP web document if you don't how to locate the model number and\or product number.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Can-t-find-AHCI-setting-option-in-BIOS-HP-pavilion-dv7/td-p/5740466
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi I am having difficulty updating BIOS for a Toshiba Tecra A - i laptop using latest update from the official toshiba european site after running the bios launcher version I get working not update A9-11i: AHCI Bios and Tecra problem the following message ' this computer is not supported quot The current installed bios version is date also if i may add a couple of further issues the function buttons tdon't appear to be working the led light for the 'FN' key lights Tecra A9-11i: Bios update problem and AHCI not working up when key is pressed so assume FN key works Tecra A9-11i: Bios update problem and AHCI not working but there's no response when pressing the ''FN' key and one of the f number keys - i installed the command module software as have been advised but this hasn't solved it I also having difficulty getting AHCi' mode to work in Windows XP Pro SP I have intel chipset m ICH M the Intel ICH M serial ata storage controller- shows in device manager- the matrix storage manager won't run so i copied the file iastor sys from the matrix manager folder into C Windows Driver system and edited the registry as read elsewhere on the forum but have had no joy any advice would be greatly appreciated many thanks

A:Tecra A9-11i: Bios update problem and AHCI not working

> I am having difficulty updating BIOS for a Toshiba Tecra A9 -11i laptop, (using latest update from the official toshiba european site); after running the bios launcher (version 3.2.8)
I get the following message ' this computer is not supported"? The current installed bios version is 1.5 , date 7/5/2007

This error message appears if you want to update a BIOS which is not compatible with your notebook model.
Toshiba European driver page provides the 2.10Win BIOS for this notebook model.
So you used definitely wrong BIOS.

> there's no response when pressing the ''FN' key and one of the f number keys
Common modules controls the FN buttons.
So the issue should be solved installing Common Modules v 6.06.00, Utilities 4.30.15
Note; You have to press FN + 1, 2, 3 etc? DON?T press FN + F1 etc?.

> I also having difficulty getting AHCi' mode to work in Windows XP Pro SP3; I have intel chipset 965m +ICH8M, the Intel ICH8M serial ata storage controller-2828 shows in device manager- the matrix storage manager won't run so i copied the file iastor.sys from the matrix manager folder into C:/Windows/Driver/system32 and edited the registry as read elsewhere on the forum but have had no joy.

Firstly be sure that AHCI is enabled in BIOS!!!
Furthermore the Intel Storage Manager controls the AHCI so you should slipstream the AHCI driver to the Win XP CD as described here:
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB85017Z0000R01.htm
or here
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD9401AN0000R01.htm

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?63768-Tecra-A9-11i-Bios-update-problem-and-AHCI-not-working
Relevancy 54.18%

When to use RAID, AHCI or IDE options in BIOS during windows installation?

A:When to use RAID, AHCI or IDE options in BIOS during windows installation?

More than likely you won't be using raid. Which of the other ones you use depends upon your hard drive type. You use AHCI for SATE and IDE for IDE. Have you tried google?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/299930-when-use-raid-ahci-ide-options-bios-during-windows-installation.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi
When I turn on my Dell XPS 410 I can't get by a screen that says:

Serial ATA AHCI BIOS Version iSrc 1.02.22 07062006
Copyright © 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
**this version supports only hard disk and CDROM drives**

Controller bus#00, device#1f, function#02: 02 ports, 02 devices
Port--00: hard disk, wdc wd2500js-75ncb3
(this drive is controlled by the RAID BIOS)
Port--01: CDROM, nec DVD+/-rw nd--3650A
AHCI BIOS installed
Intel® matrix storage manager option rom v6.0.0.1022 ICH8R
Copyright© 2003-2006 intel corporation. All rights reserved.
I can't get past this screen and I can't reboot into safe mode. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks for your help

A:Serial ATA AHCI BIOS Version iSrc 1.02.22 07062006

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything. We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here. To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/443043 <<< CLICK THIS LINK If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.*************************************************** If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS and GMER log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system. If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.*************************************************** We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scr DDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner. Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you should not bother creating a GMER log. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic: Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here: How to create a GMER logAs I am just... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/443043/serial-ata-ahci-bios-version-isrc-10222-07062006/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi all,

I installed the x64 version of Win 7. After that I changed the registery and then changed the SATA selection mode to AHCI (which was in IDE mode before) in BIOS.

But;

1- One excessive icon has been appeared in bottom right-hand corner (as is in below image). When I click on it, a small window appears that says:

Open devices and printers
Eject ST500DM002-1BC142 ATA Device (this is my HDD!)
- ...(C)
-....(D)
-....(E)

I think it belongs to the HDD. How to get rid of it?

2- Should the settings of the BIOS (SATA selection mode) always be in AHCI and don't I need to return it to IDE even if I want to re-install the (x64 or x86) OS?

A:One excessive icon (Safely remove...) after changing the BIOS to AHCI

Isn't there any way!?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/324533-one-excessive-icon-safely-remove-after-changing-bios-ahci.html
Relevancy 53.75%

After a Windows 7 update today my computer turns on, goes past the welcome screen, then shows up with an error reading "AHCI BIOS not installed" and something about clicking on CTRL+S to enter setup and then restarts. This keeps on going continuously until I shut it down. I've read suggestions on forums to run chkdsk but I can't get as far as the Advanced Boot Menu; I can get to the setup and regular boot menu and when I boot from my hard drive the computer restarts.

Any suggestions?

I partitioned my hard drive a week ago and installed Ubuntu on it. However, I think the error is due to my update today.

A:AHCI BIOS not installed & Continuous restart loop - Windows 7

AHCI is an advanced controller interface for sata drives and it
is usually a setting for the raid controller.
If you are not using it,might want to disable it in the bios setup.
If you are using it,I can try to find the registry hack that enables
it in windows without reinstalling,but you still need to see if you
can disable it and get into windows first.
Set it to sata or ide,whichever is available.
Not raid or ahci.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ahci-bios-not-installed-continuous-restart-loop-windows-7.946465/
Relevancy 53.75%

Win - Home Premium SP mobo Gigabyte EX -UD R latest possible Firmware hard drives physical GB WD AAKS for C and D physical TB WD split into two partitions physical GB WD drive G for storage physical GB WD AAKS drive K for steam games physical TB WD green in an external dock Thermaltake BlacX soon Crucial M GB SSD I have a new GB SSD on order and I've two switching Problems drives to my AHCI; settings BIOS when of vanish been reading that I need to enable AHCI in the BIOS to get the most out of it - if not to get it to work at all my buddy said his wouldn't work until AHCI was enabled So I did the registry edit MS published that lets you enable AHCI on an existing windows installation Then I go to the BIOS and changed two settings to AHCI Here are the screens of my BIOS and what I see imgur the simple image sharer One entry is quot ICH SATA control mode quot and the other is quot Onboard SATA IDE control mode quot Both have options to change to AHCI I have no idea why there are two different ones or what either means I changed both I rebooted and the PC goes through an AHCI search function Problems when switching BIOS settings to AHCI; two of my drives vanish during the boot It gets to windows and windows goes through a lengthy process of installing drivers which seemed to be successful but the problem is that when I now go into Device Mgr I get errors on two of my ATA channels under quot IDE ATA ATAPI controllers quot -- I get Problems when switching BIOS settings to AHCI; two of my drives vanish exclamation points by two of the ATA channels And sure enough two of my physical drives have vanished from Windows Explorer -- always physical drives and drives G and K When I get the SSD is it best just to install Windows clean I'd prefer to clone my existing C to it but if I install clean - should that resolve the AHCI issue Or is there something I can do now to resolve it or should I just forget about AHCI and go back to IDE in the BIOS Thanks a bunch for reading this and for any help

A:Problems when switching BIOS settings to AHCI; two of my drives vanish

Are all of your drives SATA drives?

What happens if you change the "Onboard SATA/IDE Control Mode" only?
What happens is you change the "ICH SATA Control Mode" only?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/332024-problems-when-switching-bios-settings-ahci-two-my-drives-vanish.html
Relevancy 52.89%

So after I changed to SATA AHCI mode in the BIOS the main boot internal hard drive shows as a removable device in system tray So how do I fix this issue and I did follow the instructions in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article http support microsoft com kb to enable the sata driver first before I changed the BIOS setting However in the Vista on the same hard drive in the same removable shows SATA BIOS drive AHCI to in after mode the change computer after change to SATA AHCI mode in BIOS the drive shows removable with the same SATA AHCI fix done to enable the needed drivers the internal hard drive does not show in the system tray as removable So possibly if I install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager from their site for this ASUS P QL Pro motherboard with a Intel P express chip set known as ICH then after a re-boot it may no longer show as removable This computer is a store built desktop that has only one GB SATA hard drive installed I had it set in the IDE compatible mode so that I could mult-boot with XP Vista and Ubuntu Linux

A:after change to SATA AHCI mode in BIOS the drive shows removable

That's not an issue at all, and it's perfectly normal. AHCI offers, on some boards, hot swap capabilities. It's nothing to worry about.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/207559-after-change-sata-ahci-mode-bios-drive-shows-removable.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I just changed my disk setup from SATA HDD Primary OS Disk x SATA HDD Backup Disks in RAID TO SATA SSD Primary OS Disk SATA HDD Backup Disk No RAID Windows Start RAID/AHCI at SATA BSOD setting BIOS Switching causes Everything worked great no problem So since I don't have a RAID array anymore I decided that I could change my BIOS setting to AHCI instead of RAID I have a Gigabyte GA-P -DS R v mobo These are my steps Settings gt Integrated Peripherals gt quot SATA RAID AHCI Mode quot RAID -- gt Changed this setting to AHCI Reboot Windows Start screen shows up but as the color orbs are spinning into focus BSOD and immediate restart Repeated reboot several times same outcome Next Switching BIOS SATA RAID/AHCI setting causes BSOD at Windows Start Step Launch BIOS settings Integrated Peripherals gt quot Onboard SATA IDE Ctrl Mode quot RAID -- gt Changed this setting to AHCI Reboot Windows Start screen shows up but as the color orbs are spinning into focus BSOD and immediate restart Repeated reboot several times same outcome Switch both settings back to RAID reboot and Windows starts up just fine no issues What am I missing Why can't I set it to AHCI mode without BSODs

A:Switching BIOS SATA RAID/AHCI setting causes BSOD at Windows Start

This is a hard one. As I'm sure you know, there should be no difference (to Windows) for RAID vs AHCI. It is normally the same driver, and the same registry setting.

So here is my WAG: maybe you need to have all 3 hard drives connected to break the RAID and change to AHCI.

Once completed, you would then remove the extra drive. Hopefully you have not formatted or changed that drive at all.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/221972-switching-bios-sata-raid-ahci-setting-causes-bsod-windows-start.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello i own a vostro Notebook i GB GB msata nbsp and i replaced the HD by a Samsung Pro SSD Gb Both ssds have been formated - i did not want to use the Intel rapid storage start technology rapid only 3650 Vostro in storage bluescreen with bios intel works - option ahci under The problem now is the following When i nbsp install Win Vostro 3650 works only under intel rapid storage option in bios - bluescreen with ahci bit this nbsp only works in the quot Intel rapid storage quot mode bios-option If i Vostro 3650 works only under intel rapid storage option in bios - bluescreen with ahci try it with ata or ahci the instalation hangs up Vostro 3650 works only under intel rapid storage option in bios - bluescreen with ahci after the first reboot at that point the four windows- colours come together There appears no bluescreen - the system only stopps I tried to renew the bios or changed it to version and then back to V - but no sucess After i installed win in this mode I tried the regestry trick with the instead of the to load the ahci driver I renewed nbsp the ahci-Driver manualy and after that i played with the ata driver in the same way There always is the same result the system freezes while booting when the colours come together Now with nbsp a blue-screen - The system only works when in bios the irs-Option instead ahci is set Any ideas and sorry for my english - Regards Joachim

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19981991
Relevancy 52.03%

I recently bought a computer in december last year Dell Intel R Xeon R CPU GHz GHz GB of RAM Running on Windows XP professional and with blue restarting devices No screen BIOS and AHCI not problems issues installed, found, an ASUS EAH silent GB graphics card and yes all drivers are installed and up No devices found, AHCI BIOS not installed, blue screen issues and problems restarting to date The problem i have is that when i turn my computer on it says no devices found and that AHCI BIOS is not installed and when i am on my computer mostly when playing games No devices found, AHCI BIOS not installed, blue screen issues and problems restarting my screen which is an Akura quot LCD TV DVD combi goes to blue screen and says no signal and any music that was playing becomes a loud repeated thumping like when a cd gets stuck The only option i have is to turn the computer off via the on off button by holding it in until it turns off After this my computer wont restart for - tries and instead when i press the on button a small lights up on the front and it makes a second buzzing noise repeated with a second inbetween and does not load up so i have to turn it off via the button Any ideas whats wrong and what does AHCI BIOS not installed actually mean nbsp

A:No devices found, AHCI BIOS not installed, blue screen issues and problems restarting

Do you have a single drive or multiple drives setup in a RAID configuration? The message you are seeing is fine (and normal) if you have no RAID. It usually will just pass it so quickly that you didn't notice it was there. How long have you let the pc set at that error message?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-devices-found-ahci-bios-not-installed-blue-screen-issues-and-problems-restarting.160767/
Relevancy 51.6%

So after I did change to SATA AHCI mode in the BIOS, the main boot hard drive shows as a removable device in system tray. So how do I fix this issue, and I did follow the instructions in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 922976, and is found right here; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

A:after change to SATA AHCI mode in BIOS, the main boot hard drive shows as removable

There is nothing to fix, SATA drives are hot pluggable so that is all perfectly normal.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-change-to-sata-ahci-mode-in-bios-the-main-boot-hard-drive-shows-as-removable.1035439/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi.

I have the GA-EX58-Extreme Board and have just installed the pre release of Win7 7600 64 bit. Normally i have experience to get the BSOD when in staling with AHCI active in bios so i change to IDE mode. Installation went flawless and also the change to AHCI mode on Intel ICH10R controler went normal. As always i got problem to change the J micron controller to AHCI and of cause i got the BSOD again. I installed the latest R1.17.48.16 driver and tryed again but no luck. Can some tell me what i am doing wrong. ? I have a hardisk and a dvd drive attached to the J micron Sata connection.

A:Intel Sata controler ICH10R AHCI + Jmicron AHCI error

You may not be doing anything wrong...or at least, you're doing the same wrong thing that I am. I've never been able to get that jMicron deleted to work in AHCI mode.

So, I hang the optical drive and the port for the e-SATA connection to the external backup drive off it and run it in IDE mode.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/16685-intel-sata-controler-ich10r-ahci-jmicron-ahci-error.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Dear Experts, 
I am unable to find 'ATA' option in dell optiplex 3040mt. Hence could not deploy Windows 2008 server image on it. In dell 3020 i can deploy the image using ATA mode. Please advise how to enable 'ATA' option in Optiplex 3040 and install windows 2008 server.Thanks!

A:Dell Optiplex 3040 MT - In BIOS there is No option to select 'ATA' for SATA Operation!!! (Unable to deploy Windows 2008 Server Image in AHCI Mode)

Jesse There is no such option in 3040 because ATA mode is no longer supported.  The F6 drivers are REQUIRED for windows 7 or 8 or 10.   XP/VISTA aren't supported at all and will not install.
AHCI is the only option available in Modern Bios and chipsets.  
INTEL RST F6 drivers are REQUIRED for all advanced format 4k sector hard drives. Most all drives 
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19983340
Relevancy 46.44%

My new system has and Asus P Q turbo MB one or two SATA hard disks SATA and SATA connectors and one or two IDE DVD writers The exact number of drives doesn t matter If I set the IDE amp SATA controllers as AHCI in the BIOS I have no problem installing linux With windows XP SP I get quot no hard disks in system quot Switching the controllers to IDE in the BIOS I m able to install XP but of course the drives are not used via AHCI and linux has some problems I found no way to Solved: XP with AHCI No make XP use AHCI once installed if I Solved: No AHCI with XP change Solved: No AHCI with XP the BIOS switch then XP doesn t boot if I keep the BIOS as IDE the Intel installer says quot prerequisite not fulfilled quot or something like that I tried making the floppy with the Intel AHCI drivers either the ones in the MB CD the one from Asus web site and the newest from Intel pressing F during XP installation and selecting quot Intel R ICH R SATA AHCI Controller quot By the way during this process XP says quot windows already has these drivers but the one you selected are newer quot All is fine XP can see the HD s and the partitions and can format the partition until XP reboots At this point I get quot can not find IaStor sys quot and the HD can t be seen anymore No way to continue As suggested in the motehrboard user manual I tried adding to TXTSETUP OEM HardwareIds scsi BUSDRV id quot USB VID amp PID quot quot usbstor quot with no result I m positive about the vendor ID and product ID of the floppy driver I also tried putting the floppy data in HardwareIds scsi iaAHCI ICH R No result either I don t have any other idea Anyone can help nbsp

Relevancy 45.58%

I am attempting to reformat the HD and re-install XP in a Dell Optiplex 755 for my mom's office. This computer came with XP.

I kept running into BSOD while trying to boot from CD:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I discovered that the BIOS SATA setting was set to AHCI, not ATA. After changing the setting to ATA, I am no longer getting the BSOD.

How is it possible that this XP machine was set to AHCI?

Thanks.

Relevancy 45.15%

I m trying to find out what s wrong with a modern laptop it disk problem??? because Possible of Solved: Is AHCI? which has been damaged with water leakage It s not starting up the light comes on for a few seconds then goes off again - nothing on the screen and I m suspecting the Solved: Possible disk problem??? Is it because of AHCI? motherboard however in an attempt to retrieve data from the disk drive SATA I mounted it into an external caddy USB and plugged it into my computer but nothing was recognised I tried this both on Win and on Linux Solved: Possible disk problem??? Is it because of AHCI? Puppy but neither would detect that the drive was there Although possible I m reluctant to believe that the disk drive AND the motherboard are dead so I m thinking along the lines of the interface The dead machine is a modern Win Acer Aspire V and I m suspecting that it would have been using UEFI and AHCI If it s the case that the disk was set up using AHCI would that stop it being recognised in my disk drive holder Are there any other tests I should be thinking of nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

I just bought a Samsung SSD for my wife s computer Since Solid State Drives need the TRIM function of Windows upgraded her XP system by installing a new GB HDD and installed a new Windows system on it AHCI with Trouble Solved: booting ssd while booted in Sata IDE I also installed Windows on her new Samsung SSD She has the following hardware Motherboard Asus M A T-EVO USB Chipset AMD SB Bios American Megatrend Vers Solved: Trouble booting ssd with AHCI Ram GB Single Channel DDR Everything booted up fine while in SATA IDE bios setting As soon as I changed the bios to SATA AHCI I get the infamous quot NTLDR missing quot message which means it cannot find a boot device I have spent the last days Updating the registry to set the correct values that enable AHCI as per Microsoft Rebooting both of these drives the GB HHD as well as Solved: Trouble booting ssd with AHCI the GB Samsung SSD with IDE Downloading and updating all Asus drivers for the mother board Fresh installing Windows again on the Samsung SSD And doing all of this times to no avail At that point I decided to find out if the problem was a defective drive I took her Samsung SSD and installed in on my own computer I installed Windows on it and initiated this install from a my own Samsung Pro SSD which was booted in AHCI and then accessed my CD drive Her SSD booted just fine This proved that the drive was fine and that the Windows CD was also ok Is it possible that a different boot ini file is created when a Win installation is initiated while being booted in AHCI as opposed to IDE The only thing I found unusual is that my wife s Samsung SSD showed up as drive E while my own Samsung SSD Pro showed up as drive C I am used to seeing drive quot C quot as label for the boot drive in a multi drive environment Is this something normal in Windows How can can I make my wife s SSD boot in AHCI Can it be a boot ini file pointing the wrong place Please help nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

Hi

I am using Windows 7 RC x64 Ultimate on a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 Rev 3.3 mobo with F14 (non-beta) BIOS.

I noticed in SETUP recently that the SATA Mode is set to IDE.

When trying to change to AHCI the system will not boot.

Is there a SAFE (ish-lol) method of changing to AHCI mode and would I benefit?

Thanks

A:Solved: Change from IDE to AHCI safely?

This should do the trick. Looks like all it takes is changing one key to enable the AHCI driver:
Error message when you start a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

As to whether you'll see any benefit it's doubtful, though a performance measuring program may see better numbers for some disk transactions.

The main benefit is the ability to hot swap drives (NOT the boot/system drive of course) if the motherboard also supports hot swapping.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-change-from-ide-to-ahci-safely.882959/
Relevancy 44.72%

Asus P5B-E board with single WD 750Gb SATA HDD. BIOS Main Page, IDE Config offers the option of IDE, AHCI, (and RAID) SATA configs. The default is IDE. Should I not set this for AHCI? IDE is to use the SATA drive as "Parallel ATA physical storage device." AHCI "allows the onboard storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features...."

This sounds like a no-brainer, unless you try to analyze why IDE is set to default under "Configure SATA As [ ]. Anyone have a suggestion? tia

tj

A:Solved: Configure single SATA as IDE or as AHCI?

I suppose I solved this myself. Good ol' Wikipedia!

They should have renamed ACHI as BFN or Bad Fecundidating News.

Don't even consider it unless working on a new Vaista install. Else the BSOD!

tj

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-configure-single-sata-as-ide-or-as-ahci.607983/
Relevancy 44.29%

System Specifications CPU Intel i - Mobo Gigabyte GA-Z X-UD H RAM GB GPU Nvidia GTX SSD Boot GB Samsung HDD Storage TB Seagate Barracuda amp GB Seagate Barracuda Switching for Solved: firmware between AHCI HDD mode update. IDE & Model ST AS Serial VMBPPDX I am trying to update the firmware on one of my hard drives but every time I try it fails It simply says no controllers found and then failed I think it is due to the fact that it is an older drive years and I am currently in AHCI mode opposed to IDE I am in AHCI mode as I have a SSD as the boot drive The drive I am trying to perform the firmware update on is a Seagate Barracuda GB The method of updating the firmware involves running a exe from Windows which in turn opens a utility that then restarts the computer and updates the firmware No bootable USB or CD is used during the process Is there a way to change my system to IDE mode update the firmware then change back to AHCI mode without causing any issues If the update process involved a bootable USB or CD I would just disconnect the boot drive during Solved: Switching between AHCI & IDE mode for HDD firmware update. the process but this doesn t seem to Solved: Switching between AHCI & IDE mode for HDD firmware update. be an option here Any help would be much appreciated Thanks in advance for any responses nbsp

A:Solved: Switching between AHCI & IDE mode for HDD firmware update.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-switching-between-ahci-ide-mode-for-hdd-firmware-update.1131056/
Relevancy 44.29%

How do I install the XP SATA driver for the AHCI mode with out the the for XP out Solved: for the AHCI a with driver reinstall SATA mode need need for a reinstall which now has sata as IDE emulation or compatibility mode and I multi-boot with this desktop computer with Vista and Ubuntu Linux The mother board is a ASUS P QL Pro and have a GB SATA hard drive I do know how to enable the sata AHCI drivers in Vista and the but is there some way to install Solved: XP SATA driver for the AHCI mode with out the need for a reinstall this Intel P ICH chip set driver into my XP Pro bit SP and then re-boot into the BIOS to change the SATA mode to full AHCI from the Solved: XP SATA driver for the AHCI mode with out the need for a reinstall IDE Or can I make the changes first in Vista and to enable the needed sata driver and boot to the BIOS to switch the mode Solved: XP SATA driver for the AHCI mode with out the need for a reinstall then boot to either the Ultimate boot CD for Windows or my real XP CD disk to attempt to then install the XP sata AHCI driver I just want to avoid a full re-install of XP Or I can clone an image of my XP drive partition to then put onto a PATA IDE second new hard drive nbsp

A:Solved: XP SATA driver for the AHCI mode with out the need for a reinstall

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-sata-driver-for-the-ahci-mode-with-out-the-need-for-a-reinstall.1034307/
Relevancy 43.86%

hi everybody I have a dell studio my hard disk got corrupted a month ago and tried different software could not make it to work so decided to after enabled hard on Solved: bootsector drive No AHCI internal buy another Solved: No bootsector on internal hard drive after AHCI enabled HD my new hard drive is used bought in ebay and SMART shows health also tested on dell diagnosetic utility and all tests passed So here comes my problem the very first time when i poped new used HD into the laptop and started it showed me the above error no bootsector on internal hard drive and gave me options F retry F setup F dell diganose utility I ignored it as you all know a HD without system files partion or windows would do exactly the same and i went ahead and somehow sorted windows vista to install When setup expanded files it restarted and when dell logo and flash screen passed where it was supposed to boot from C it gave me this error again but the vista disk was still there i thought let the cd take care of it as the HD may not have been used after couple formating and wiping So thought it s normal all installation went normal finally restarted again with same error above Now if i put windows cd or whatever bootable madia i can get to my windows if i dont hit any key but first it will show the above error and then it will boot other media even i can access to windows by pressing F retry after message appears and it will boot successfully fast and flawlessly but windows cant find boot section by its own Installed vista and windows four times but same symptoms NOTE gt gt gt gt It will only occure when I enable AHCI mode installed on ATA mode doesnt require me to do anything and will successfully go to boot from bios my bios setup is in correct order and also reseted couple of times reseated hard drive one time also i installed sata drive driver downloaded from dell site and loaded with usb everytime when i installed So what could be the problem Am i missing something prior or after installation I have completely lost my mind with this problem tried hours of searching in forums nobody else has got same problem as mine the error is same but symptoms are different PLEASE HELP i have tried to attach a test results but dont know if this site excepts html nbsp

Relevancy 43.43%

I m posting a solution to an issue that took me almost four days to resolve In the Aspire One WinXP ACER to issue Solved: AHCI Home Pro Netbook end the issue cause appears to be a bad downloaded file from the manufacutre site Note I am a huge believer in this Solved: ACER Aspire One Netbook WinXP Home to Pro AHCI issue support site and use it to provide solutions to common or uncommon issues that we all face If you find this thread useful then use this forum to quot post solutions quot in additions to your support requests Issue amp SATA AHCI Controller amp Storage Device Files not being presented only amp SATA RAID Controller amp Files when installing WinXP Pro from CD pressing F to install additional Drivers Requirement Install WinXP Pro on an Acer Aspire One AOD previously loaded Solved: ACER Aspire One Netbook WinXP Home to Pro AHCI issue with factory WinXP Home Steps to Recreate Problem Equipment Accessories i External USB DVD CD Drive used for MS WinXP Install CD ii External USB Floppy Drive used for Additional Storage Driver from ACER Set Ensure Bios SATA amp set to AHCI Set to Boot from USB DVD CD Drive Need the AHCI driver for the Acer Aspire AOD Download SATA AHCI Storage Driver from the Acer ca site Use Netbook Aspire One Product Model AOD - Set Operating System to WinXP Professional - Find SATA Driver and download File Downloaded ZIP File - SATA Intel v XPx XPx A zip File Extracts File Folder - IMSM Intel v XP File Required Folder - f flpy Folder f flpy Contents iaahci cat iaAHCI inf iastor cat iaStor inf iaStor sys license txt TXTSETUP OEM Copy contents of f flpy to Floppy disk Insert Floppy disk into USB Floppy drive Insert WinXP Pro Install CD into USB DVD Drive Choose Boot from CD Press F to install addition drivers Windows Setup displays amp None amp No Storage Device Found - Press S for additional Drivers - A list Storage Devices proposed - Choose - Other on manufacture floppy - Proposes amp A amp Drive files from Floppy Note all RAID Controllers amp no AHCI Controllers quot Intel R ESB SATA RAID Controller quot quot Intel R ICH R DH SATA RAID Controller quot quot Intel R ICH MDH SATA RAID Controller quot quot Intel R ICH R ICH R ICH R SATA RAID Controller quot quot Intel R ICH M-E ICH M-E SATA RAID Controller quot Naive Assumption is made that these are amp Combo amp storage drivers and include the AHCI and choosing the correct one will allow me to continue NOT TRUE Selecting one of the drivers and continuing the install gives a message again that amp No Storage HDD device is detected amp and a chance to amp S amp select another driver Result of trial error selection is Blue Screen amp Stop amp error display x CE file iaSTOR sys Message Driver Unloaded without cancelling pending operation NOTE THIS IS AN INDICATION THAT THE WRONG CONTROLLER IS BEING SELECTED Work Around - Solution What is happening is that the quot SATA AHCI quot files are not showing only the SATA RAID Controllers The issue appears that the TXTSETP OEM file is not proposing the iaACHI inf files for selections correctly In my case I only needed the quot Sata AHCI Controller quot iaAHCI ICH MMDH driver The TXTSETUP OEM file was edited to comment out with a sign the drivers I do not need for my Netbook I only needed the iaAHCI ICH MMDH driver See attached Edited TXTSETP OEM Note No Information was removed or altered only comment amp amp added to file When I commented out the non required SATA AHCI Controller and the SATA amp Raid Controllers amp and reinstalled WinXP Professional Using F again the only Controller that appeared proposed was Intel R ICH M MDH SATA AHCI Controller This time the only driver proposed was the right one Intel R ICH M MDH SATA AHCI Controller Continuing with the install resulted in a SUCCESSFUL install of WinXP Result Action Required Actual problem appears to be an incorrect TXTSETP OEM file Requires follow-up with ACER Text file Copyright c - Intel Corporation Filename TXTSETUP OEM Disks disk quot Intel Matrix Storag... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-acer-aspire-one-netbook-winxp-home-to-pro-ahci-issue.867720/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi, Thanx to shuttles indescript site I have killed my AI61 motherboard, I thought I was getting an executable zip which was actually the flash program + rom and after opening BEEEEEP

Anyway I have a eeprom burner and this eeprom sst39sf020 is right in the list.

Can anyone email me the bios .bin file for this motherboard? (not the file from shuttles site but the old bios file ai61s017.bin so I can flash it using my eeprom burner)

Or at least tell me how to extract the .rom from the exe file shuttle sends

If I get the rom file I will be able to revive this nifty old 750!

PS it appears that shuttle quite sending *.bin bios updates a while ago but if anyone can find ai61s017.bin I would be gratefull

Thanx
Ryan

A:(solved) Shuttle AI61 messed up bios, where do I find a bios bin file?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-shuttle-ai61-messed-up-bios-where-do-i-find-a-bios-bin-file.186055/
Relevancy 40.42%

I have ibm thinkpad R51 2887 nq2 series . My system has been crashed as it is not starting.The whole system gets hang after showing the first ibm screen. The bios utility setup is not getting opened through access ibm button . In safe mode it shows that system BIOS and video BIOS is not working and it has been shadowed.sometimes the system gets started ,but after one minute ,it stucks and the whole system paused and nothing happens.It may be the virus attack on BIOS and it also changes the time and date configuration of BIOS. so what should i do .And how i can install BIOS driver to the system.

A:Solved: system BIOS and video BIOS shadowed

Did you mark this "Solved"?

It sounds like you need a new CMOS battery.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-system-bios-and-video-bios-shadowed.741271/
Relevancy 39.56%

i have a computer i got from my aunt, when the computer starts up, at the top of the screen it says award modular BIOS v4.51PG

at the bottom it says: 08/21/1998-ALADDIN5-2A5KKB0DC-00

i want to know if there is an update for the bios, because i want to use a Maxtor 80GB hard drive.

Relevancy 37.41%

Hello to the BleepingComputer community First of all I m sorry I haven t finished some of the steps from the Preparation Guide It s because these steps require a reboot e g Step Disable your CD Emulation Software - DeFogger will ask me to reboot the machine and I have a bad feeling about the question if it is safe to reboot in my situation I m not sure if I have a type of malware dozen threat of - by folders, Unknown BIOS.sys - BS_Flash.sys, "Bios m... BIOS AVG a and virus/rootkit? Update\Award" which is ready to infect the BIOS - if it is so then it could infect it much easier during the reboot process - If BIOS virus/rootkit? - Unknown threat by AVG - "Bios Update\Award" folders, BS_Flash.sys, BIOS.sys and a dozen of m... there is a good way to find out what is the problem and fix the BIOS threat part if it really is present without rebooting shutting down this PC or at least without booting from this hard drive which I feel is probably infected then please tell me what should I do - If you know a place forum where I can get a specialized help for this seemingly BIOS-malware related situation please tell me where I could go - If there is no way to move forward I ll go ahead and risk the reboot and follow the other steps steps to in the Preparation Guide no problem I kindly ask you to please read below the details of the problem as it occured to me and the things I have tried so far The PC is AMD Athlon X Dual Core BE- GHz Motherboard Biostar TA G AM with AWARD BIOS GB RAM GB SATA HDD and an ASUS EAH card added a few years ago It s with WinXP SP AVG Free standard Windows Firewall and it s behind a router I can t recall exactly but I think on - - evening I ve left this PC with at least one account logged-in with many programs running online locked fast user switching screen and then found the em class 'bbc' PC non-responsive em in the morning so I had to power off it - it was frozen What I remember well is - on - - when I ve turned on this PC for the first time and logged-in with my account member of Administrators group While it was still finishing loading the taskbar icons etc I hit Win L fast user switching is enabled and logged-in to another account member of Users group Right then a bunch of previously unseen quot AVG Identity protection - threat detected quot messages started to appear C Windows system drivers - atkkbnt sys threat name Unknown I clicked quot move to vault quot Then another message showed up C Windows system drivers - amdtools sys threat name Unknown I clicked quot move to vault quot C Windows system drivers or was it C Windows system don t recall exactly - bufadpt sys threat name Unknown I clicked quot move to vault quot C Program Files BIOS Update BIOS Update Award - BS Flash sys threat name Unknown I doubt I have ever seen this folder before on this PC I clicked quot move to vault quot C Games ad binaries system aken sys threat name Unknown I clicked quot move to vault quot C Windows system drivers - BIOS sys threat name Unknown I clicked quot move to vault quot C Windows system drivers - BS I cIo sys threat name Unknown I clicked quot move to vault quot C Windows system drivers - IOMap sys threat name Unknown I clicked quot move to vault quot C Windows system drivers or was it C Windows system don t recall exactly - ati sgag exe threat name Unknown I clicked quot move to vault quot C Windows system drivers - EIO XP sys threat name Unknown I clicked quot move to vault quot Then AVG asked to reboot to finish the removal I ve let it to go rebooting but I ve paused the BIOS post screen and switched the PC off so I could research about what should I do next I was suspecting that booting process could infect the BIOS and or MBR After researching online with the keywords from these messages I was still puzzled While searching about if rebooting is risky if you suspect having a BIOS virus especially AWARD BIOS virus I ve even found out that it s possible to infect multiple PCs BIOSes... Read more

A:BIOS virus/rootkit? - Unknown threat by AVG - "Bios Update\Award" folders, BS_Flash.sys, BIOS.sys and a dozen of m...

Hi,Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. Click the Watch This Topic button at the top on the right.

Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

Please reply to this post so I know you are there.The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/471088/bios-virusrootkit-unknown-threat-by-avg-bios-updateaward-folders-bs-flashsys-biossys-and-a-dozen-of-mostly-sys-files-appear-on-boot/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hello I am having problems with direct booting into Windows installed into a VHDX file Possible After Black Fixing Screen Boot From Menu Manager][SOLVED] Only F12 UEFI Booting POST. [Boot Boot Issues: BIOS BIOS This is a four-partition UEFI boot on a GPT drive EFI files are residing on a second partition of disk the ESP partition [Boot Manager][SOLVED] Fixing UEFI Boot Issues: Black Screen After BIOS POST. Booting Only Possible From BIOS F12 Boot Menu in the EFI [Boot Manager][SOLVED] Fixing UEFI Boot Issues: Black Screen After BIOS POST. Booting Only Possible From BIOS F12 Boot Menu folder The boot virtual nbsp disk is residing on the fourth partition of that disk When I turn on the PC it shows black screen after the BIOS POST screen No Windows boot menu no other information is displayed However if I press Shift F or F to start Dell BIOS Boot Menu and choose Windows Boot Manager from the UEFI part of the boot menu Windows starts to boot without difficulties How do I make Windows to boot automatically without having to select Windows Boot Manager in DELL BIOS boot menu I believe I messed up with boot sector somehow What needs to be fixed provided that Windows will boot into VHDX file Thank you Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0c77735a-be10-4e1e-a4c1-568917f4a54f/boot-managersolved-fixing-uefi-boot-issues-black-screen-after-bios-post-booting-only-possible?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 35.26%
Q: Ahci

Hi to all,

How can I set the Hard drive (operation) to AHCI in Windows and BIOS? Working in BIOS is simpler because it has a limited number of menus.

A:Ahci

If your BIOS has the mode setting at IDE and Windows was installed in IDE mode then you must do some preparation before making the change. Windows will not start if you just switch the mode to AHCI.

To change the mode in BIOS you need to find the settings for the SATA controller, usually "Storage Configuration" (or similar) > and then the setting for "Configure SATA as" .

To allow Windows to start in (the changed) AHCI mode you need to make a Registry edit as detailed here:

The procedure is:
Make the Registry Edit
Restart the computer
Immediately go into the BIOS settings
Make the BIOS setting change > Save & Exit

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/324124-ahci.html
Relevancy 35.26%

I just built a machine with a 120gb SSD and a 1 tb standard Sata drive. Is it necessary to have AHCI turned on? I can't seem to get a solid answer from anyone. One says turn it on, and another says don't use it. What's right? Many thanks to all.

A:Is AHCI necessary with SSD?

Quote: Originally Posted by rnuhouse

I just built a machine with a 120gb SSD and a 1 tb standard Sata drive. Is it necessary to have AHCI turned on? I can't seem to get a solid answer from anyone. One says turn it on, and another says don't use it. What's right? Many thanks to all.

If your ssd doesn't have any problems wiuth AHCI on, then definately use AHCI. It will help the performance of your ssd.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/235211-ahci-necessary-ssd.html
Relevancy 35.26%
Q: AHCI

I am going to be buying a new SSD drive. I will need to install Windows 8 on it. I had AHCI already enabled in my BIOs since I had an SSD drive already installed with Windows 7. So this will be an upgrade with new drive and new OS. What I need to know is this. When installing Windows 8 what do I need to do prior to enabling AHCI? Is there a driver I need to install from a flash drive? It seems that I did something similar when I did my old install of Windows 7. I have a 880 Gigabyte board/AMD chipset. Thanks in advance for any help on this!

A:AHCI

If it is new SSD it should be preformated so all you'll have to do is to install OS as per usual. Win7 and 8 will detect it properly and install drivers.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/30818-ahci.html
Relevancy 35.26%

I'm debating whether to turn on AHCI or to stick with IDE for my Intel SSD WD platter HD IDE SSD or For best? which AHCI is system For SSD which is best? IDE or AHCI I've found this tutorial for changing after OS install AHCI Enable in Windows Vista but am a bit confused because according to MS the variable in the registry For SSD which is best? IDE or AHCI should be zero not To resolve this issue yourself enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive To do this follow For SSD which is best? IDE or AHCI these steps Exit all Windows-based programs Click Start type regedit in the Start Search box and then press ENTER If you receive the User Account Control dialog box click Continue Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys HKEY LOCAL MACHINE System CurrentControlSet Services Msahci HKEY LOCAL MACHINE System CurrentControlSet Services IastorV In the right pane right-click Start in the Name column and then click Modify In the Value data box type and then click OK On the File menu click Exit to close Registry Editor Error message when you start a Windows or Windows Vista-based computer after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive quot STOP x B INACCESSABLE BOOT DEVICE quot Also am concerned that AHCI may not play nice with optical drives Some have reported this at least Is the performance improvements worth it My Windows Experience Index for my boot drive Intel SSD is currently FYI or is it simply best to have it for future firmware updates does Intel recommend IDE or AHCI Thank you in advance

A:For SSD which is best? IDE or AHCI

see here for more info:
SSD Benchmark Tests: SATA IDE vs AHCI Mode | AHCI vs IDE,SSD,AHCI,IDE,SATA,Solid State Drive,Benchmark Performance SSD Testing AHCI vs IDE,Benchmark Performance SSD Testing: Intel ICH10 SATA AHCI vs IDE Mode Speed and IOPS Comparison

I run AHCI mode, I had no problems attaching a second SSD..
it all works really well..

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/182670-ssd-best-ide-ahci.html
Relevancy 35.26%
Q: No AHCI

On my work PC I've changed the registry setting and rebooted but it didn't install the drivers. In Device Manager there's no AHCI. Can't boot if BIOS is set to AHCI because there is none according to Windows. I've tried everything I can think of.

Any ideas?

A:No AHCI

Hey Tw33k

Did you follow Bare Foot Kid's tutorial here: AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista ?

You have to be sure to do it in the exact order:
Make registry change > restart and go directly into BIOS > change to AHCI > Save and Exit to boot into Windows > Restart after driver install.

Hope that helps!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/123288-no-ahci.html
Relevancy 35.26%
Q: Ahci

Since I moved W7 to a drive that has AHCI enabled in the BIOS, but the image that I used of W7 was on a regular SATA drive previously, I didn't see the need to enable it in the OS. However, when I now transfer files from the AHCI drive (OS) to a regular SATA, I'm getting considerably lower transfer rate than before. Is this because of the current configuration?

Since the OS drive is the only one that is AHCI capable, would having AHCI enabled in the OS have any adverse effects on the other drives?

I read in the tutorial that AHCI had to be enabled in the BIOS before installing the OS, but since I didn't do a regular install, should I follow the tutorial's procedure for enabling it in the OS now, or would simply installing the AMD AHCI driver be sufficient?

A:Ahci

Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister

Since the OS drive is the only one that is AHCI capable, would having AHCI enabled in the OS have any adverse effects on the other drives?

I read in the tutorial that AHCI had to be enabled in the BIOS before installing the OS, but since I didn't do a regular install, should I follow the tutorial's procedure for enabling it in the OS now, or would simply installing the AMD AHCI driver be sufficient?

Are you sure AHCI only effects the OS drive? I thought it effected them all. In fact, I've never heard otherwise and only ever hear of it being for all drives. Some raid configurations (Raid 0, etc) have multiple drives and distribute data to both drives. They need to be set on the RAID configuration (which uses AHCI) in the BIOS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID (the irony of using Wikipedia as a source. Oh well its accurate most of the time).

And no, it has no adverse effects on the other drives if it is enabled.

It does need to be enabled in the BIOS, and you do need the AMD AHCI driver (It probably will work without it, but why not have the correct driver installed? It can only help... usually). If it isn't working for you because of the OS transfer, try enabling it with the tutorial: AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/204860-ahci.html
Relevancy 35.26%

I just finished reinstalling windows and I'm having issues with the sata operation again. With the factory selected default of AHCI and flash cache module enabled, it blue screens. When I disable both it will boot.

I then tried to download drivers from dell. I downloaded the intel matrix storage manager and intel turbo memory (applications and drivers) but my computer will not let me install them. It says my machine does not meet the minimum requirements (which it does because I had it working before)

I was just on the phone with dell for over an hour thinking they would have a quicker solution. After finally deciphering my techs dialect he had no useful info. I am going to try and create a bootable cd with the drivers on it while I wait for the wizards out there to solve my dilema...

A:ATA to AHCI

That is because you have to start out with AHCI enabled in the BIOS before installing the OS.
Have the Raid drivers for your board ready on a floppy or flash drive, or add them to your install disk.

What Intel Board are you using?

Acutally, depending on the board, you may not need drivers ready to load. Just enable AHCI and reinstall the OS from scratch.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ata-to-ahci.748786/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hey all

I have recently bought a new SSD (replacing the main HDD) and, as you do, have been tinkering.

I read that for best performance it should be set to AHCI, so I followed this with no issues:

However, when I went into the bios I realised that the M2N68-AM Plus does not support AHCI.

Slight panic, but the PC booted fine (huzzah!).

So my questions are - leaving the registry with the settings as 0, will that cause any issues in the future? I read in one forum that a user did this and then 6 days later it went to poos.

If the answer to that is "no", will it in fact improve anything at all?

thanks

A:SSD with AHCI

If the board doesn`t support AHCI, it doesn`t matter what you do in windows.

All that matters is the speed of the sata ports.

Your board only has 3 Gbps sata ports. It`ll be fine.

Motherboards - M2N68-AM PLUS - ASUS

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/363197-ssd-ahci.html
Relevancy 35.26%
Q: AHCI.

Were I change to ahci mode for ssd ? Bios not has a option !Thank,s.

A:AHCI.

Greetings, Your PC supports IDE mode.  An SSD will work in this mode. It is not recommended to run SSD's in RAID mode. I am unable to determine if your BIOS supports RAID or if the default BIOS setting is set to RAID or IDE mode. Check with SSD manufacturer to verify the SSD will run on SATA1 and SATA2 ports. I am unsure what SATA specification your motherboard supports. Cheers!  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/AHCI/td-p/5654985
Relevancy 35.26%

I need help figuring out how to change my IDE to SATA in XP home. I am going crazy.I CANNOT - change drivers via hardware managerdouble-click a .reg file (It says script is incorrect. It needs to be binary).Don't have a clue what a 'Remote hive' is.I have slip-streamed before, but XP is already installedMy set-up is dual boot XP 32 / Win 7 64 bit. I am tired of changing the BIOS. Gigabyte AX88The .sys file is in the \system32\drivers folder.I have all files needed for a floppy. Alot good that does me.Thanks in advance.

A:XP to AHCI help, please

Many want to help you, but there is a problem.It is not clear what you want to do.For a desktop PC running Windows XP, the BIOS should be set to allow XP to read the drive as if it were an older drive type.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,151467.0.html
Relevancy 35.26%

I need help figuring out how to change my IDE to SATA in XP home. I am going crazy.
I CANNOT -
change drivers via hardware manager
double-click a .reg file (It says script is incorrect. It needs to be binary).
Don't have a clue what a 'Remote hive' is.
I have slip-streamed before, but XP is already installed
My set-up is dual boot XP 32 / Win 7 64 bit. I am tired of changing the BIOS. Gigabyte AX88
The .sys file is in the \system32\drivers folder.
I have all files needed for a floppy. Alot good that does me.
Thanks in advance.

A:XP AHCI help, please!

I don't think XP will boot in AHCI, but 7 will;  so if you want AHCI, you'll have to forego booting in XP, and I'm not sure you can even boot at all, except in ATA, if XP is first in the boot list, and AHCI is off.  XP can only boot in ATA, at least on the i5 machines I newly installed it to (32-bit, Pro).  Maybe someone else has a better answer, but I see no alternative to what you're doing now.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/583141/xp-ahci-help-please/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hi guys,

How can I run ahci on windows xp. I installed it on ata mode and I cant find the driver to make it work. I hope somebody can put me on the right directions. My laptop is dell latitude d630.

Thanks,

A:AHCI on XP

error

I already installed (Intel Matrix Storage Manager) this before and today but I encounter this error. I use xp 32 bit and 64 bit but same results

This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software. Setup will exit.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ahci-on-xp.131048/
Relevancy 35.26%

HI all I NEED TO ASK A ? WHEN I FIRST BUILT MY COMP I PUT MY HDD IN THE SATA 3 6GIG PORT ITS A WD HDD 1 TB 64 MEG CASH SATA 3 6 GIG. BUT IN THE BIOS I LEFT IT IN IDE MODE. so my ? is can i chang it to AHCI IN THE BIOS ? WELL THERE BE A DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE? AND IS IT THAT SIMPLE TO ? THANKS I AM LEARNING ALL THIS STUFF THE BEST I CAN AND THIS FORUM IS THE BEST I HAVE SEEN

A:ide ahci ?

Quote: Originally Posted by OCIR

WELL THERE BE A DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE?

Not really no. But do this, turn off CAPS LOCK.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/209748-ide-ahci.html
Relevancy 35.26%

After looking in the manual for my HP computer It says I should be able to set my sata interface to either AHCI, RAID, or IDE mode. The issue is in the bios I can only select RAID or IDE. The computer in question is in my system specs.

Aso it is using an Intel ICH8 south bridge.

A:No AHCI ????

Sorry if im wrong but Usually AHCI is a separate from the RAID/IDE menu within the BIOS

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/247479-no-ahci.html
Relevancy 35.26%

Machine Toshiba M D-S History Came with Vista bit installed Several years ago I installed Win bit It's been so long I honestly can't remember if I installed in in AHCI mode it was a fairly recent technology back then I partitioned the only drive into partitions I dumped the recovery partition Recently I attached a Thermaltake BlackX esata also usb drive dock to the combo USB eSata port The system wouldn't recognize it I checked the bios The only sata setting is for the sata controller mode It's set to AHCI as opposed to compatibility mode I then checked the reg key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet services msahci -- gt Start The key value is ' ' as it should be There is no iastorV folder in the HKLM tree but my understanding is that it's not necessary Device manager does NOT show an AHCI device see image Maybe it's something simple but I don't see it All seems to be as it should be but no AHCI in device manager and no esata Any help appreciated Thanks

A:No AHCI?

the combo USB/eSata port.
What is this? The specifications on the Toshiba website for this model show:

Expansion

Media 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter, S/P DIF output port (shared with headphone port)

USB Ports
   3-USB (2.0) with Sleep and Charge

iLINK

i.LINK™ IEEE-1394

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/543619/no-ahci/