Windows Support Forum

Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder!

Q: Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder!

I usually try to fix these things myself but I don t even know where to begin searching on Google I was playing Mass Effect game last night and the nvidia driver crashed second time it s happened overall from this game I closed as many apps as I could then told Windows to reboot On rebooting disk check ran and decided to delete about files it might have done other things not sure When I got back into Windows all my preferences were gone and I realized that a new set of quot Documents and Settings quot files were created called quot Owner MASTRPC quot mastrpc is the name of the computer on my network and wrong Account and to Settings User Documents Solved: folder! pointing even though Windows automatically logs in as quot Owner quot as usual it points to that new folder instead of the usual quot Owner quot folder So basically all my preferences shortcuts and passwords are gone everything looks like a fresh install and there are a ton of other inconveniences Thankfully the files from my Owner account are still on my hard drive I think I need to point Windows to the correct Documents and Settings folder Owner instead of Owner MASTRPC Also a second new account ASP NET was created which I ve Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder! since deleted But now I think that might have been from Windows Update awhile back Not exactly sure what that s for THANK YOU SO MUCH nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder!

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-user-account-pointing-to-wrong-documents-and-settings-folder.916231/
Relevancy 88.04%

XP HOME SP Following a crash I put in a new hard drive reinstalled Windows re-created the User accounts Well some of that I had help with I made three User accounts and the folders appeared in Documents amp Settings no problems A few weeks later I decided to add another User account The account & Settings XP Documents User put doesn't Solved: folder in account was created successfully but its folder never appeared in Documents amp Settings That was about a month ago and it s just never shown up Solved: XP doesn't put User account folder in Documents & Settings The account itself works fine as far as I know This morning I created a second User account for this person to see if it would place a folder in Docs amp Settings It still didn t Before the crash I had all four people with four separate accounts so having four User accounts has not been a problem previously It s not a reboot issue as I ve rebooted numerous times since creating the person s first account Is there a way to force the User account folder to appear in Documents amp Settings since XP won t place it there automatically Edited to add When reinstalling HD it had to be named quot F quot not quot C quot That didn t affect creating the original three User accounts though so I don t know what to think about that Also no problem with downloading programs it always defaults to the correct location Just thought this might be important AHHH nevermind I figured it out User accounts must first be logged into before the folders appear in Documents amp Settings Apparently he just sat down at someone else s opened desktop doesn t live here and keeps no files here so he didn t care whose IE he was browsing in I guess I did not log into the new account either Anyway - First log into a User account before it shows up in Documents amp Settings nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-doesnt-put-user-account-folder-in-documents-settings.503351/
Relevancy 104.92%

Help! After a reboot that didn?t work correctly and having to boot in safe mood then regular boot up my desktop, Files and programs available are all not the same.
It looks like I am a different user even though my user account name has not changed.
My Documents is not showing my true documents. I cannot see MS Office Excel, Word, etc? I can see MS Outlook 2013 but it?s asking me to setup when I already did previously.
I can navigate to c:\users\userId and find all my true documents (My Document).

What can be done? Anything?

A:User Account now not pointing to correct user folder

Hello David mate first try these Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 start at point 15 and then do a ckdsk Disk Check

then work through the other stuff

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/293415-user-account-now-not-pointing-correct-user-folder.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Okay here s the rundown as Solved: Settings" and from User "Documents Folder Missing Folder best as I can remember it Several years ago around if I m approximating I purchased a slew of components and built my first computer from scratch Since that time I have run through four power supplies It seems as though some other component is causing these power supply failures This is not the purpose of this post however but some back story Now I am not the most technically savvy person in the world and after the second failure I took the computer to a quot professional quot While Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder I don t know Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder what he did in its entirety I did notice a change that confused me However as I had decided to be an end user from this point forward and not a techie person I didn t question it Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder The change I could access the user account quot Documents quot folder from the quot My Computer quot window but not from within the quot Documents and Settings quot folder under the root directory In other words if I were to double-click the quot My Computer quot icon I would be given the usual options of hard disk drives and CD drives as well as the quot Shared Documents quot folder and the quot Username Documents quot folder for the user logged in That would by Ahr Neely s Documents for the Ahr Neely user and as there was only every one user created on the computer it was the only documents folder that should have existed However if I were to from the quot My Computer quot window open the C drive and navigate to quot Documents and Settings quot I would only have two options to choose from quot All Users quot and quot Default User quot ghosted as a hidden folder Neither of these folders contain the content and media files that the quot Ahr Neely s Documents quot contain from the quot My Computer quot window On either of my other PCs when venturing into the quot Documents and Settings quot folder I have four folder options listed quot Administrator quot quot All Users quot quot Default User quot ghosted out as a hidden folder and quot Ahr Neely quot the only user created on the PC So it wasn t a problem having the PC set up this way as long as it was running fine However yet again the power supply has taken a dump on me and so I ve had it with this computer Its lasted me several years and I ve decided to purchase a store bought computer building my own was a fun experiment but in the end it didn t yield a cheaper better computer Now that I m moving on I have pulled the old hard drives out of that PC and stuck them in an external enclosure you know its important to keep the old data However I cannot for the life of me find any evidence that the files in the quot Ahr Neely s Documents quot folder which include the My Pictures My Music My Movies or Downloads folders anywhere on this hard drive I have performed several different searches through all folders including hidden files and folders and have come up with nothing So after that long and drawn out explanation I m wondering if anyone has any idea how to track down this elusive folder Is there a way to find it Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you Ahr Neely nbsp

Relevancy 92.45%

A while ago i was having severe problems with windows xp, so I did a repair installation(i think). Whatever it was, it essentially deleted the winxp system files and reinstalled it. I created my user account using the same name as last time, but ran into a problem: because windows detected a folder with that username on it already, it created a new one with the format of username.computername. This is created numerous problems, including but not limited to me not being able to upload things via ftp from my my documents folder because the directory path gives the ftp programs a heart attack. Does anyone know how i could change what directory windows looks at for my files?

A:Windows xp account documents and settings folder

To change the path to my documents:

just right click on the my documents folder, the path is listed as an option..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-account-documents-and-settings-folder.185846/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi my name's David I turned on my computer today and found all my settings my desktop icons my favourites my playlists in Media Player etc were all missing All my programs thought I was using them for the first time it was as if I was a new user When I searched for a document I'd saved to the desktop I found it in Documents and Settings David In Folder Settings Documents in and User Second fact all my documents and pictures were there However in Documents and Settings there Second User Folder in Documents and Settings now appears to be a second user folder called David DAVID- BA C that doesn't contain any of my documents or settings and I appear Second User Folder in Documents and Settings to be accessing that account instead of my normal user Second User Folder in Documents and Settings account So my computer has created a second rogue account that I am logged in as I tried to Change User but the only option was 'David' and that took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop I am the only person who uses my computer I tried changing the name of the user account from 'David' to 'Steve' in Control Panel User Accounts This had the affect of changing the name of Documents and Settings David My Documents to Documents and Settings David Steve's Documents However when I tried to change users the only option was called 'Steve' and it took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop This means that any changes I make to my user settings the computer applies to 'David' and Windows thinks I am 'David' but I can only log in as 'David DAVID- BA C ' This is causing a number of problems for my programs such as Live Messenger which won't let me sign in Please help me I would be happy to supply any futher details

A:Second User Folder in Documents and Settings

try creating a new user account and see if you can access that ok, and create a new document (anything will do). If you are ok accessing that, then migrate all your docs over to the new account. Hope the following will give you some idea: How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

Can you post back and let me know if you are able to create and access a new user account.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/second-user-folder-in-documents-and-settings-560918.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi my name s David I turned on my computer today and found all my settings my desktop icons my favourites my playlists in Media Player etc were all missing All my programs thought I was using them for the first time it was as if I was a new user When I searched for a document I d saved to the desktop I found it in Documents and Settings David In fact all my documents and pictures were there Documents in Settings and Second User Folder However in Documents and Settings there now appears to be a second user folder called David DAVID- BA C that doesn t contain any of my documents or settings and I appear to be accessing that account instead of my normal user account So my computer has created a second rogue account that I am logged in as I tried to Change User but the only option was David and that took me back to the Second User Folder in Documents and Settings David DAVID- BA C desktop I am the only person who uses my computer I tried changing the name of the user account from David to Steve in Control Panel User Accounts This had the affect of changing the name of Documents and Settings David My Documents to Documents and Settings David Steve s Documents However when I tried to change users the only option was called Steve and it took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop This means that any changes I make to my user settings the computer applies to David and Windows thinks I am David but I can only log in as David DAVID- BA C This is causing a number of problems for my programs such as Live Messenger which won t let me sign in Please help me I would be happy to supply any futher details nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/second-user-folder-in-documents-and-settings.987887/
Relevancy 91.59%

Using vista x32 bit Home Premium. I tried to move Documents file icon on my desktop into the existing Documents folder shown in explorer by using alt+dragging the icon, multiple times. What i have is multiple empty Document folders under my user name. The recylce bin has the icons, but they are empty. How can i recover the data? Please be nice.

A:Deleted user account 'Documents' folder !!!

Use system restore, or restore file from backup
start>Control panel>system and maintenance>Backup and restore center or
start> in search bar type Restore, and click System restore. Follow prompts

suggestion for copying files- open file, select all, copy and then paste into new file location. Do not cut, and when you have all files copied, then delete desktop folder/files.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/193972-deleted-user-account-documents-folder.html
Relevancy 89.87%

Hello, one of the user profiles in Windows XP Pro has disappeared. I cannot recover the files because the folder in Documents and Settings has disappeared too. I am running a virus scan now. Any help in how this could have happened?

A:User profile on XP Pro disappeared, folder in Documents and Settings gone

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-on-xp-pro-disappeared-folder-in-documents-and-settings-gone.734092/
Relevancy 89.87%

I want to move my User folder off of the C drive Besides the Administer built-in I am the sole user of the computer I have two methods one is symbolic and_or and Settings? Moving Documents Folder User links one is mirrored links recommended I was wondering what role the folder Documents and Settings has to do It seems to contain identical info as the users files what is the point Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? The questions are Do I need to move both of my User folders one in Users and the other in Documents and Settings Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? Why Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? is there a Documents and Settings folder anyway and what is it used for I am using a Vortex GB SSD for C drive does that fact impact the move of my User folder Would it be easier just to mover the whole User folder instead of just mine I am the only user of the computer Again will I have to move the Documents and Settings corresponding files Does the drive Users is moved to have to be a Primary Drive or can it be a Logical Anybody have any answers about the Users vs Docs and Settings folders Any tips on moving the users to a larger drive would be appreciated I run all of Adobe Creative Cloud software so Users is getting big Dbellas ASUS P T-v I - CPU GB RAM PNY NVIDIA Quddro GPU Vertex GB SSD - T Segate GB G-TECH RAID EXTERNAL iHAS DVD PIONEER BD-CD - ASUS Q MONITOR WINDOWS x

A:Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings?

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish.  If you are trying to move these files to another computer why not just clone the operating system with a program like Marcium Reflect.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503499/moving-user-folder-and-or-documents-and-settings/
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi sorry to be one of those guys whos first post is one asking for help but here I am so I appreciate any and all help and hope one day I can reciprocate the favor I also havent seen this problem described anywhere else online and thought people may find it fascinating as well When logging into the Primary user with admin privaledges account the desktop no longer has files and icons it used to have and the start menu no longer shows the User XP redirected set empty and documents account of to login settings folders Windows list of dfault or frequently opened programs some programs but not all are also Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders missing from the start menu programs section If I open my documents from the start menu it takes me to an empty folder not even my music or my pictures default folders inside I also have restricted permissions and cannot change any of the folder view options such as show hidden files Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders and folders When examing the Documents and settings folder I found a new folder called quot TEMP quot inside are the standard user account folders application data local settings documents desktop etc these folders now contained whatever I put in the my documents folder or on the desktop The actual user name being logged into still has its folder located in the documents and settings folder and still has its files and folders intact It seems that the login however now has these new TEMP folders associated with it and a scan of Malware bytes has revealed nothing more then an ask com adware toolbar but I believe the virus may have been removed prior to me having the computer in my possesion So is there a way to undo this login redirect or should I just create a new user account and move the files into it Edit more info in the event log is this is event source userenv Event ID Type Error Description Windows cannot load the user s profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system DETAIL - Access is denied Steps I have taken so far ran CHKDSK to automaticaly fix filesystem errors only minor inconsistencies were found like unused index entries Had to set static network ip information to connect to the internet certain windows folders like windows registration had no permissions for administrators or system Edit looks like I have found a solution and its possible that this profile issue was simply a coincidence but this KB article has fixed the issue by changing the profile registry key maybe someone else will find it usefull http support microsoft com kb

A:Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders

Welcome aboard Let's see, if we can recover your missing features.Download and run UnHideThen....Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.=============================================================================Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList last 10 Event Viewer logList Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result.=============================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt=============================================================================Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.IMPORTANT! If for some reason GMER refuses to run, try again.If it still fails, try to UN-check "Devices" in right pane.If still no joy, try to run it from Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/408043/windows-xp-user-account-login-redirected-to-empty-set-of-documents-and-settings-folders/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi I recently repaired an XP Professional installation and now i no longer have the option to login but and windows settings start up at folder documents has no user login has to the old profile just a default profile with admin rights The profile still has its documents and settings folder with everything intact and all programs from the original profile seem to be in program files The user also does not appear in local users and groups I have even been able to move over the application data and open a program which remained authorized and had access to previous presets I also made a new profile and in the registry changed the profile image path to that of the old profiles folder I m not sure why it just seemed important to see the old desktop again which i do but all the paths for the programs or at least most of them are set to quot I quot changing the path to quot C quot worked on some programs anyway i user has no login at windows start up but has documents and settings folder digress what am i missing here am I able to regain the previous access nbsp

A:user has no login at windows start up but has documents and settings folder

If anyone could just point me in the right direction, i'll take it from there but i just dont know where to go from here.
is it a registry problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-has-no-login-at-windows-start-up-but-has-documents-and-settings-folder.1135598/
Relevancy 81.27%

I am not sure what caused it but one day the documents and settings folder in the 'C' drive just dissapeared. I then scanned for viruses, and it found a few adware files, and 2 viruses. I got rid of everything. It still is gone. I have no restore points or any of that. I even tryed reinstalling XP and it still is gone. And for example if you look for music through musicmatch, and you go in the 'C' drive. It shows that the doc & settings folder is really there. I tryed formatting the folder to show hidden files. It is still not there.... I REALLY NEED HELP!!!!

A:Solved: The documents and settings folder is gone??

Does anyone have any ideas at all??? I've tryed using spybot and ad-aware SE and removed all they came up with... but nothing helped

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-the-documents-and-settings-folder-is-gone.299580/
Relevancy 80.41%

Running Windows 7, home premium version.
None of the Documents and Settings folders will allow me to view, open, or modify them - for any user.
I am logged on as Administrator.

Suggestions?
Thanks

Relevancy 80.41%

I'm new to windows 7 and having a hard time navigating the file structure. When I try to open documents and settings, access is denied. Under libraries-documents there is a folder named My Videos.....access is denied to that one as well. How do I get access. I'm the only user and an administrator. Why can't I see what's in these folders? Thanks.

Relevancy 79.55%

Hiya,
Had probs with my PC not booting up so took it to a PC repair shop that found that the part on my hard drive that holds the boot-up info was corrupt, they istalled a new hard drive but managed to keep the old one as a 2nd hard drive as the rest of the data was good on it.
I am now trying to access my files on the old hard drive under documents and settings\user but it wont allow me to access them - how can I access the files? I did set up user accounts on this but they were not password protected...
I'm on XP...
PS I've tried info on here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421 but I dont have a 'security' tab once i click on properties....I'm no techy so advice in laymans terms please!!
Ta,
Matti

A:Solved: D:\Documents and Settings\user is not accesible. Access is denied. Help

If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.Click to expand...

Did you follow this step? When you start the computer, and before Windows boots, you need to press F8 and select Safe Mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-d-documents-and-settings-user-is-not-accesible-access-is-denied-help.747468/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi - I found your forum while googling for an answer as to why this folder - C Documents and Settings Lisa - with just quot Local Settings quot folder in the window - comes up every time I start Windows XP I ran HijackThis and have pasted the log below I had HijackThis on my PC from some Virus help I received a Solved: Settings Startup Documents opening Folder on and year or Solved: Documents and Settings Folder opening on Startup so ago - so since I noticed that s usually what you guys request - I went ahead and ran it now Can you please help me Solved: Documents and Settings Folder opening on Startup figure out how to get this annoying window to go away on StartUp Thanks a bunch Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe c Program Solved: Documents and Settings Folder opening on Startup Files Microsoft Security Client Antimalware MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files HitmanPro hmpsched exe C Program Files Intel WiFi bin S EvMon exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe c drivers audio r stacsv exe C Program Files Broadcom Corporation Broadcom USH Host Components CV bin HostControlService exe C Program Files Broadcom Corporation Broadcom USH Host Components CV bin HostStorageService exe C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SASCORE EXE C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Intel ASF Agent ASFAgent exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Intel WiFi bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Flip Video FlipShare FlipShareService exe C Program Files Flip Video FlipShareServer FlipShareServer exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files LeapFrog LeapFrog Connect CommandService exe C Program Files Reel Logix The Calendar Planner pcrem exe C Program Files Common Files Intel WirelessCommon RegSrvc exe C Program Files Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack SeaPort SeaPort exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Wave Systems Corp Trusted Drive Manager TdmService exe C Program Files Windows Server Bin WSConnectorUpdate exe C WINDOWS system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files Amazon Amazon Unbox Video ADVWindowsClientService exe C Program Files Dell Dell ControlPoint DCPButtonSvc exe C Program Files Dell Dell ControlPoint System Manager DCPSysMgrSvc exe C Program Files Windows Server Bin SharedServiceHost exe C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager IAANTMon exe C Program Files Windows Server Bin LANConfigSvc exe C Program Files Windows Server Bin SharedServiceHost exe C Program Files Windows Server Bin SharedServiceHost exe C Program Files Windows Server Bin SharedServiceHost exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exe C Program Files DellTPad Apoint exe C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe C Program Files DellTPad ApMsgFwd exe C WINDOWS system AESTFltr exe C Program Files DellTPad HidFind exe C Program Files DellTPad Apntex exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exe C WINDOWS OA Mon exe C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager iaanotif exe C Program Files Wave Systems Corp Services Manager Docmgr bin WavXDocMgr exe C Program Files Wave Systems Corp SecureUpgrade exe C Program Files Dell Dell ControlPoint Security Manager BcmDeviceAndTaskStatusService exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD DX PDVDDXSrv exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat Acrotray exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files LeapFrog LeapFrog Connect Monitor exe C Program Files Real RealPlayer update realsched exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe C Program Files Windows Server Bin Launchpad exe C Program Fi... Read more

Relevancy 79.12%

Q When I look at the folders in C Users User-Name I can see a My Documents folder I double click on My Documents and the location now is C but is Documents? User shows My folder location Documents folder Why Users User-Name Documents why is the folder name different from the exact folder location I notice all other folders that have the word quot My quot has the same situation Q If I want to move the My Documents to another drive D I should create a new folder in D as Documents without the word quot My quot or should I create a new folder My Documents Q I intend to follow this article User Folders - Change Default Location to move My Documents folder in the article it says quot OPTION TWO Create a Why User folder shows My Documents but folder location is Documents? New Folder by right clicking or press and hold on a empty space in the main window there and click tap on New and Folder Name the new folder without spaces ex quot Music quot for My Music for the user folder that you want to move there See screenshots below NOTE The name that you type in for the new folder will be what you see as the user folder name in the Start Menu shell UsersFilesFolder location when finished with all of these steps It would be best to use the same name as the user folder to avoid confusion quot and quot OPTION TWO Navigate to the same location as in step and above then select the renamed new folder ex Music and click tap on the Select Folder button See screenshot below quot Is the second screenshot at OPTION TWO and screenshot at OPTION TWO wrong The screenshot shows My Music folder the text says Music

A:Why User folder shows My Documents but folder location is Documents?

Hello pcwin,

The user folders that have "My" in the name are not actually named with the "My".

These are symbolic links, so when you name the folder "Documents", it will automatically rename and display as "My Documents", but in reality is still "Documents".

It can be a bit confusing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/339366-why-user-folder-shows-my-documents-but-folder-location-documents.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Win xp sp2. My computer crashed and I had to use the recovery disc supplied by the manufacturer. The recovery process erased the HD but offered me the option of backing up which I did. When I try to open the 'owner' folder or any of the users folders it says 'Access denied'. How can I open my owner folder to recover my files. This is only happening with the users folders and not with other folders on the C: drive.

A:Solved: Denied access to c:\documents and settings\owner folder

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-denied-access-to-c-documents-and-settings-owner-folder.719044/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi,
I installed Turbo Tax on a standard user account from the disc.
Now when I try to install TT updates, it won't let me because I need to be an administrator.
Can I change the standard to an administrator, and when I'm done, change it back?
I already have a Main Administrator user. The Standard is used for internet facing activities.
Thanks

Relevancy 76.97%

I got a new computer about a week ago, running Windows XP home and student edition, and have been using the admin account since. That is only true because when ever i go to make a new user profile, like one you select when you want to log in, it dosent transfer Word, PowerPoint, Excel, or One point. I have no idea why, but it dosent. Please help

A:[SOLVED] Windows XP user account settings problems

You will have to reinstall those programs for each user. I believe that there is an option when installing Office to install on all user accounts on the computer, so once you have all user accounts set up, try that.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-windows-xp-user-account-settings-problems-165465.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I just have a quick question. I'm using Windows XP Professional SP3 and I have an admin user profile and also a secondary user profile. A friend of mine a told me to just use the secondary profile all the time accept if you need to install something, that way it's more secure. Not sure how secure it is or if I should keep using my computer this way, but I'd kind of like to just simplify things a bit and delete the secondary profile and just only use the admin profile. Is it possible to save any settings I had on that profile and then just delete that user account?

A:Solved: Possible to delete user account and save settings?

It certainly is more secure to run in a standard user account, you can see this page in the Techguy Library of knowledge for an explanation as to why. I am in a standard account as I write this for that very reason.

However you say you don't like the situation. The answer I'd be considering would be to elevate the standard user, turning it into an admin. That will be quick and migrate everything. Admitidly it could be a little weird if say the standard account were named "standard" but that's quite a minor thing. If you then want to remove the old admin account, don't do it until the new one is safely elevated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-possible-to-delete-user-account-and-save-settings.935930/
Relevancy 76.54%

How do I copy documents from my main user account to my second user account on my home computer?

A:How do copy documents from my main user account to my second account

Read this for instructions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-copy-documents-from-my-main-user-account-to-my-second-account.799319/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi guys New here Been doing IT stuff for almost years now and I ve never seen anything like (XP Solved: still User Pro) Settings there, Folder gone this I ve got a user who was working perfectly until this morning then logging on as normal everything was gone Desktop icons and folders gone settings gone my docs gone Now here s the bizzare part at C Documents and Settings his folder still exists All files are in place everything is great When I was setting up his backup application I noticed another phenominon his My Documents and Desktop are listed as being located at C Documents and Settings TEMP My Documents etc Nothing has changed Why is his log in now associated with a TEMP directory Could it be a Windows Solved: User Folder still there, Settings gone (XP Pro) Update perhaps I ve watched him log on I know he s doing it right What the devil is causing this problem Help Anyone EDIT He s running WinXP Pro SP with Office SP It s a Dell Latitude D with GB RAM nbsp

Relevancy 75.68%

Hi,

I have deleted an Windows XP user account (Control Panel -> User Accounts -> (selected the account) delete account -> Delete Files) but the user folder is still there with many files (although I told Windows to delete the files)... and I can't delete these files manually.
Any help, please?

Thanks

Relevancy 75.68%

When I started up it says Win.ini corrupt. Then it starts
up as a new user losing track of Favorites and Start Menu
and Desktop Icons, Display and Folder attributes. Under
Documents and Settings it has added Dave.U5R2D5 in
addition to Dave which still has all the information. I tried
switching the 2 Filenames to get back to what it used to be but
gave an error message and didn't do it and started another new file.
Is there some way to use the old Dave file?

A:Lost settings, New user made in Documents and Settings

Hiya asd123321.

It sounds like you`ve re-installed the system from CD over the top of an existing system, giving you a fresh `Dave`. Have you recently run a repair or indeed, done a clean install ?

As a work-around, can you take the documents & favourites from the old `Dave` and put them in the new `Dave` so at least you`re back up and running again.

Jenny

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-settings-new-user-made-in-documents-and-settings.920132/
Relevancy 73.53%

I have a drive that had Vista Home Premium on it amp NTFS as the file Folder for and Security Documents Settings Settings system The drive went bad with over K bad sectors Preformed a hard drive recovery After several days I managed to remap all the bad Security Settings for Documents and Settings Folder sectors so that I could read the drive when booting from a XP boot CD or a UBCD cd Now When I view the drives directory structure I can browse most of what is listed except for the Documents amp Settings folder When I try that one I get the message quot Access Denied quot I tried getting into the properties to see if I can change the properties but the Security tab did not show up I am a lot more familiar with XP than Vista Is there an added security feature Vista has on the Documents amp Setting folder that only Vista can open it I tried using a Vista Recovery disk but it was not able to see the partition Also I am not sure if there are any tools on the disk to recover files from a drive that no longer boots windows Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Peter

A:Security Settings for Documents and Settings Folder

"Access Denied" is a proper and routine message encountered...when moving a hard drive from one system to another. Only impacts the Docs & Settings files/folders, all other files can be easily accessed.So can the Docs & Settings folders, by taking ownership of the files/folders.Taking Ownership in VistaLouis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/361339/security-settings-for-documents-and-settings-folder/
Relevancy 73.1%

I am laptop user. About 2hr ago, i login to my lappy and discover that my profile is different. My folders on desktop went missing and some of the setting changed. Then i try on my own to solve it but to no avail. Fortunately i come upon my C:\Documents and Settings and discover that strange profile C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP and my original profile C:\Documents and Settings\p0716499 was still there. This imply that my previous setting and files are still in my laptop. However, I cant changed back to the original profile and struck with the temp profile.
Initially i suspect is registry problem so i DL "UPHClean Service" by miscosoft but to no avail. Now currently i suspect it might be the work of a virus. I need help. Thank anyone who help me in advance.

A:User profile path change to user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP :\Documents and Settings...

This morning when i woke up, i discovered a icon named "syminstallstub" on my desktop. I checked online and i believe that it could be a virus. I try to find ways to uninstall it but to no avail I not sure what did my younger brother do to my laptop. I feel that im damn unlucky and encounter 2 problems in a row. Please help me solve my problems.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394384/user-profile-path-change-to-user-profile-path-change-to-cdocuments-and-settingstemp-documents-and-settingstemp/
Relevancy 72.67%

hello i have windows xp pro and and in Documents and Settings i have account folders and one of them has alot of used space it was another account i forgot the password to and its taking up gbs on my hard drive how do i delete it
can anyone help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-in-documents-and-settings-can-not-delete-an-account.541055/
Relevancy 72.67%

HELP! I've accidentally moved my Documents Folder into my user profile folder by mistake and now i have a mess. basically I now have a folder that goes something like this: c:\users\documents\ and it contains a duplicate of everything that was already in the desktop\username\documents folder except now I can't rename or delete my user profile folders...ad I don't have a restore point to go back to what can I do? any help would be very much appreciated please!! Thanks!!

A:Moved Documents Folder to User Profile Folder

You could try to open another user account. I think that would be a possible way to solve your problem.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/278335-moved-documents-folder-user-profile-folder.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I made a new user account under Windows XP Pro and deleted my old one. Then I saw the old user's folder. I tired to delete it but I couldn't and an error message popped up:

That folder is 3.48 GB heavy and contains over 13000 files.
I also tried to take ownership of that folder. No luck.

So, please, if you know how to solve this problem, let me know.

Me.

A:Documents and Settings\User

Hi

Firstly you can run chkdsk - hopefully that will sort out the strange file name:
To do this go to Start -> Run -> type chkdsk c: /r -> click Ok . When asked if you want to force a dismount say No. When asked to schedule the check at the next startup say Yes. Restart your PC to allow chkdsk to run.

Then you can download Unlocker, save it to your hard drive and install it.
Once installed
-Right click on the User folder
-Select Unlocker
-In the Unlocker screen choose Delete under action
-If any processes are locking the folder select Unlock All, If no locking handles are found press OK

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/documents-and-settings-user-523004.html
Relevancy 72.24%

How can i change the account names in Documents & Settings. i got the name changed but ??
Thanx Dave

A:Change The Account Names In Documents & Settings.

If you're referring to having changed the name of a user account, then right click on the folder & choose Rename.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/136197/change-the-account-names-in-documents-settings/
Relevancy 71.81%

I have two admin accounts on my Windows 8 computer, I want to transfer everything from one of the admin accounts, to the other so I can make it my primary account.

Is there anyone who can suggest the best way to do this?

Thanks.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/35751-transfer-user-account-settings-files-another-user.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I'd like to move my user files to a different drive, so that when i boot up to XP or Vista the same files are available on a seperate partition.

I have been able to move all the Vista one to my C: drive (XP) and its ok, but im running out of space and want to put the stuff on E:. I cant figure out how to make XP look to E:\Username\Desktop for its desktop files.

Any help would be great - i know its probably simple and ive just beat about the bush as usual.

A:Solved: Moving "Documents and Settings" folder to another location

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-moving-documents-and-settings-folder-to-another-location.692554/
Relevancy 71.38%

I find one user account name called "default user" in C:/documents and settings.

I wonder what it's all about.

A:what is default user in documents and settings

Whenever a new user logs on (the first time), Windows copies the settings from the Default User profile (located at Documents and Settings\Default User) to the newly created user profile. In other words, the Default User profile is as a template which Windows uses in order to initialize new profiles/logins.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/what-is-default-user-in-documents-and-settings-554876.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I recently replaced my motherboard which because my new one is a different chipset than my old one, required me to repair my windows install. Rather than do that and possibly lose a bunch of stuff in My Documents folder and my extensive Favorites I opted to just do a new install on another partition. So far everything has worked fine but when I tried to get into my old Admin files in my "Documents & Settings" Folder it gave me a red x and said Access Denied.

Anyone know how I get around this and into this folder?

A:Help Accessing old User Documents & Settings?

You would have been just fine doing a repair install.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Take Ownership of the folders and files.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=XP+Take+Ownership

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-accessing-old-user-documents-and-settings-93029.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I had a registry problem in that when I booted up my laptop it said a hive file for the SOFTWARE key was damaged I fixed this by going into recovery console and restoring the registry backup So now Windows starts again and everything is good All of my files are still in tact However my settings are all gone Even though Settings Folders User in and Documents my files are on the hard drive the appearance of everything is as if Windows has just been installed In Documents and Settings the reason is revealed My user folder in there was Jon Jon is still there and Windows says I m logged in as Jon but in the Documents and Settings folder there is a Jon JONSLAPTOP folder and I am assuming Windows loaded with the settings from THAT folder which I User Folders in Documents and Settings assume was created when recovery console fixed the registry hive file My question is is there a quick User Folders in Documents and Settings fix to getting my settings back Can I just copy everything from Jon into Jon JONSLAPTOP and then rename it Jon and delete the other Jon Or are there settings in this new Jon JONSLAPTOP folder that I need to make Windows bootup now Anyone nbsp

A:User Folders in Documents and Settings

Oh, and also, I've noticed, some programs give me a "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed" error message, and I think it's saying that because when said programs were installed, this 'Jon.JONSLAPTOP' folder didn't exist, and therefore that user didn't get privleges to use it. Which still doesn't make sense because XP says I'm still logged in as 'Jon', the same user from before, but using settings I assume from 'Jon.JONSLAPTOP' instead of 'Jon'.

If anyone can help me with this I'd appreciate it. If not I'm gonna format my hard drive tomorrow.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-folders-in-documents-and-settings.312643/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi all
I've been installing / uninstalling stuff while testing on a CLEAN install of W7 (x-64).

I see now one of the directories (Documents and settings username1) is now 7GB.

The WHOLE OS only takes around 14 GB .

I can't see what's taking up the space -- is there any nice utility that clearly can show Disk usage in a sort of cloured pie / bar chart etc rather like the nice Linux utility DU. (I've enabled "show hidden files etc").

I'm sure it's all related to me installing / uninstalling stuff but Windows explorer is a HORRIBLE tool for "Cleaning up" disks etc. It's fine for everyday purposes but for this type of stuff it's not the correct tool.

Cheers
jimbo

A:Documents and settings - user user1 7 GB HELP

Hi Jimbo,

Have a look at this TreeSize Free https://www.jam-software.de/customer...80&language=EN

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/10012-documents-settings-user-user1-7-gb-help.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi,
I reinstalled XP3 on my pc which has a corrupted XP2 preinstalled without formatting the drive. After everything's set I still have my previous user accounts in the C:\Documents and Settings. Please help me erase this as it is eating up the memory.
Thanks a lot.

A:Old user accounts on C:\Documents and Settings!

When you go to Start>Control Panel>User Accounts do you see the old accounts?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/old-user-accounts-on-c-documents-and-settings-328680.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Can anyone explain to me why I have five "user" folders in C:Documents and Settings ? They are "Administrator", "Owner", "All Users", "Default User", and "Administrator+computer name". Under User Accts. in Control Panel, there is only "Owner(computer administrator)" and "Guest(account off)". The first five seem to make Explorer very bloated and confusing to me. Do I really need all five folders and if so what purpose do they serve?
Thanks

A:Why are there so many "user" folders in C:Documents and Settings?

Hello and welcome,

Each one of those folders represents a user on that system. The amount of folders varies due to how many users and what software is using the computer. Windows XP and Vista don't show these accounts in the user accounts section of the control panel without editing the registry. I would leave the accounts on the system for now.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/231222/why-are-there-so-many-user-folders-in-cdocuments-and-settings/
Relevancy 71.38%

Windows XP. Am sorting out a computer for a friend. Under Control Panel/User Accounts it just shows 1 - his name. However, if I look at C:\Documents and Settings, there are 4 entries:
Administrator, [4MB] All Users, [37MB] Default Users [487KB] and the name of his daughter who used to own the computer [4GB]. Are all these necessary? I tried to change the last one to his name but it told me it was a system file and could not be renamed. I located the profile in the Registry - is it safe to delete the one in his daughter's name?

Thanks

Relevancy 71.38%

I recently replaced my motherboard which because my new one is a different chipset than my old one, required me to repair my windows install. Rather than do that and possibly lose a bunch of stuff in My Documents folder and my extensive Favorites I opted to just do a new install on another partition. So far everything has worked fine but when I tried to get into my old Admin files in my "Documents & Settings" Folder it gave me a red x and said Access Denied.

Anyone know how I get around this and into this folder?

A:Help Accesing Old User Documents & Settings?

Google for "Take Ownership of Files". It's an easy fix.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-accesing-old-user-documents-settings.449685/
Relevancy 70.95%

hi everyone i am trying to find the documents and settings folder in windows 7i have gone into the c drive and under user there is nothing and there is nothing about documents and settings in the c drive, there must be a hidden folder somewhere that i carnt seam to find, i have had a look up this on google and everything on there that they surgest i have tried and i still carnt find this folder.anyone help.

A:documents and settings folder

Quote:

You probably know that the C:\Documents and Settings folder doesn’t exist anymore in Vista. It was replaced by the C:\Users and C:\ProgramData. Vista uses symbolic links pointing to these new folders for compatibility reasons. However, many guides still refer to the old folder structure. There is a simple trick for using the old folder name in Windows Explorer, though. This way you can find configuration files easier.

If you want to see the symbolic links, you have to enable first “Show hidden files and folders” in Folder Options. To access the Folder Options you must press “ALT” in Windows Explorer to make the menu visible. You’ll find them under tools.

Now, you should be able to see Documents and Settings. But if you double click on it, you’ll get an error messages. Even administrators don’t have enough NTFS rights to navigate to this folder. It is not even possible if you change the rights by taking the ownership.

You can, however, navigate to subfolders of Document and Settings by entering the corresponding folder name in the address bar of Windows Explorer. For example, just type C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\ and you will see all of the user profiles’ subfolders, you know from Windows XP.

^ Hope that sheds some light.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/documents-and-settings-folder-596863.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I was having some odd problems with my computer Settings Documents gone?! folder and last night so I shut it down and let it quot rest quot overnight something I rarely do my computer tends to run I ll try to explain the odd problems in detail Last night I was steaming a movie to my XBMC like I do all the time and the video randomly dropped and wouldn t stream XBMC couldn t find my computer anymore so I went in to Documents and Settings folder gone?! check out the problem on my PC While I was in the computer room I decided to hit quot Send Receive quot in Outlook because I was expecting an e-mail About seconds after doing that the computer froze hard I gave it a minute to do something and then performed a hard reboot When the computer restarted I went back to streaming my movie again Finished the movie and a few hours later was ready to go to bed I went to fire on iTunes because I like to catch up on old podcasts before going to bed About minutes into the podcast I think I hit send receive in Outlook again and the computer froze again This time I didn t want to mess with it so I just turned the computer off This morning when I woke up I went to check my e-mail and I got the quot we need to check your data file quot While that was happening I received the expected e-mails and since then the data file has been checked completely Next I went to launch Firefox so that I could do my normal morning rounds on the internet When I launched Firefox I got prompted by about add-ons that it was the first time I have launched them This caused some concern When I tried to force a Firefox backup using an add-on called FEBE I quickly realized that my c Documents and Settings folder is gone Now before this happened my main hard drive which is embarrassingly small was teetering on full Now when I look at it I have gbs free All of my c Users folders and information are still there Pictures Desktop Music etc I run an up-to-date Mcafee suite Virus Scan and Firewall and I am behind a Linksys router I also use Spy Bot Search amp Destroy every month to check for any nuisances First off has anyone ever heard of anything like this I can t believe that this is a virus or that I was hacked I haven t installed any pirated programs in a few weeks at least but I don t know what else to blame Secondly if the folder isn t in the trash is there anything I can do to try and recover it Is it possible that a recovery program and find the files I ve been wanting to install XP on my machine again sick of Vista but I ve lacked real motivation If I just lost all of my settings I ll definitely be motivated Thanks to anyone that can give me some advice If you need more information about let me know and I ll gladly surrender it Brandon nbsp

A:Documents and Settings folder gone?!

Microsoft did not trash the "Documents and Settings" folder in Vista; they renamed it "Users."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-and-settings-folder-gone.718002/
Relevancy 70.95%

I hope i posted this in the right place I m not having a problem or issue with my computer I was just trying to figure out what s supposed to be in the Documents and Settings Folder Settings XP folder Documents and in in Windows XP I have folders in mine amp i m the only person who uses my computer Some of them are hidden so i m assuming there important and shouldn t be touched but i m not sure Hidden DefaultUser Local Service LocalService NTAUTHORITY NetworkService amp Network NTAUTHORITY Showing Administrator Administrator CHEVY BB Administrator FREYA All Users amp Freya Should there be Admin accounts My user profile is FREYA Does that mean that Administrator Freya is also me Its kinda confusing Maybe i should just leave it alone I dont want to screw Documents and Settings folder in XP something up Oh also Chevy was my old user profile before my sister got in my computer and deleted it Yes my computer is now password protected Lol Cheers nbsp

A:Documents and Settings folder in XP

All Users, Default User, LocalService, NetworkService and Freya are normal.

The others result from things like removed accounts and Windows reinstalls over top of what's already there.

It's safer to just ignore the extra stuff until your next clean install unless there is a lot of space used. You have to be a little careful. For example, one of Local Service and LocalService.NTAUTHORITY is the current one; you have to figure out which is current and only mess with the older one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-and-settings-folder-in-xp.820690/
Relevancy 70.95%

I am running Windows XP On And Documents D:\ Folder And Settings C:\ Home SP Documents And Settings Folder On C:\ And D:\ OEM version on a MESH computer with a Gb hard drive and Gb of RAM My hard disk is divided into three partitions C D and E with Windows installed on C I recently had what I thought was a driver problem with my DVD RW and using the CD that came with my Mesh computer I decided to do a system file scan and repair or replace any system files that appeared corrupted damaged However the machine started a reinstall of Windows and because I did not know how to stop it I had to let it go through the full cycle of reinstalling Windows over the Windows installation that already existed Two days later I have reinstalled all my software and preferred system settings and everything seemed okay until I had a problem downloading updates for Adaware Checking the settings in Adaware I saw it was pointing it s update files to D Documents and Settings and not as it should be at C Documents and Settings I find I now have a Documents and Settings folder on my D partition as well as on my C partition althought the copy on my D partition does not have as many sub folders and entries I know I cannot delete the Documents and Settings folder from the D partition because Windows will not let me and anyway it would cause an unknown number of problems My questions are Can I somehow move merge all the entries in the D partition folder to the C partition folder so that I again have only one Documents and Settings folder Am I stuck with Documents and Settings folders At the moment I have lost the will to live but if I decided to reinstall Windows again how would I get rid of the Documents and Settings folder from the D partition and how would I stop the same folder being created on the D partition again as I don t remember being given an option during the installation process I don t know why it would but if I format the C partition first and then reinstall Windows XP will that stop the creation of a second Documents and Settings folder on the D partition I can t figure this out for myself as I m not an expert but I am reasonably experienced and if registry hacks are involved I m already in the process of making backups should someone have a means of remedying my problem At the risk of being a bore if I am stuck with both now is there a way I can ensure that any future entries during software installation etc are made in the Documents and Settings Folder on the C partition Thanks

A:Documents And Settings Folder On C:\ And D:\

Apparently, this can happen if you attempt to (or inadvertently) install XP over top of an existing XP installation: See here: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-297664.phpNow, his ended up on C and yours ended up on D. How? I don't know but I would be willing to guess that if you did a full format, then recreated your partitions, and then did the full reinstall on C, your problems would go away... I know it didn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out but at least the above thread might give you some idea as to how you ended up where you are today.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/135618/documents-and-settings-folder-on-c-and-d/
Relevancy 70.52%

Alrite ive got an emachines notebook running xp home on it We bought it from best buy and i guess they registered the computer to a valued customer and its really annoying Idk how the user name stuff works but i think a while ago not positive cuz it was like years ago when we first got the computer i changed the admin valued User few a :) and Settings? just Documents questions names? customer name to my name but the my documents folder defaulted to c documents and settings valued customer still i fixed it by making a folder on c with my name and made that folder the target location for the My Documents folder but i was just wondering if there was any way to Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :) get rid of that dumb c documents and settings valued customer folder every time i delete it it comes back and if there was any way that i Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :) could change the computer from being registered to valued customer to me thanks for the help in advance guys nbsp

A:Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :)

You'd have to make a new account. Then get on the admin account, change the new account to admin, then get on the new admin account and delete the 'valued customer.'
That should work...
Experience: so so, still learning (i like that)
-blitze

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-and-settings-user-names-just-a-few-questions.389788/
Relevancy 70.52%

I am trying to open a user folder on a backup image I have.

It is an Acronis True Image backup and mounts a virtual drive you can then access.

The error I receive when trying to open the 'user' folder is:

----------------------

G:\Documents and Settings\user is not accessible.

Access Is Denied

----------------------

I have tried to turn of simple file sharing and add my the administrator to the permission but am not able to.

The Add... Button is greyed out.

If i go to the Advanced section and Owner tab.

I receive: You only have permission to view the current owner on user.

The only areas I can edit are the Auditing ones.

Any idea on how I can get access to my files short of re imaging this backup to a disk?

Thanks

Relevancy 70.52%

I m new to XP and this forum and I m struggling with the multiple users environment The background is I got a new PC from DELL with XP pre loaded When prompted to enter names of users I listed four myself my wife and two children A day or so later I decided to alter things to three users deleting one of the children filesin user Spurious settings name and 'documents s accounts and re-naming the Spurious user name filesin 'documents and settings other as Kids Everything is fine on the log in screens - and it all works great BUT when I looked in Documents and Settings I saw the old child s account still listed and a duplicate of my wifes file but with the extension DELL So instead of seeing Kids Sheila Mike along with the all users shared etc etc I get something unexpected Kids Rachel Sheila Sheila DELL Mike It gets more confusing to me at least I ve had to do a couple of system restores problems with old device drivers for old devices and I m now seeing Kids Rachel Sheila Sheila Sheila DEL Sheila DELL Mike Something to do with the restorer I figured but if so why do all the spurious user files contain different sub folders Why are extra files generated for one user only Why is a deleted username still there I d love to get to the bottom of it cos I don t like what I don t understand Also it would make life easier when configuring each users start desktop etc options if I new which file was the real one I ve tried just deleting the weird ones but as you d imagine that just screws up their start menu and desktop etc Any ideas And whilst I m here is there any way to install a program onto a limited users account and no others whilst they are logged on and from within their environment Did I once see a pop up screen allowing me to select a different user and password or was I just wishing one would appear Appreciate any help thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/spurious-user-name-filesin-documents-and-settings.145406/
Relevancy 70.52%

I was forced to reinstall Windows one time, but I didn't wipe out my hard drive. So now I have these files in my C:\Documents and Settings\{old user account name} that I can't seem to get rid of.
Everytime I try to delete the folder or files within the folder, an error message says, "Cannot delete {folder/file name}: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."
This seems strange because my hard drive is only 50% full and the file cannot possibly be in use because it's not affiliated with Windows anymore, since I reinstalled it.
I want to delete it because these files take up hundreds of megabytes and creates fragments in my hard drive.
Help would be appreciated.

A:Deleting old user documents and settings files.

See this KB to Take ownership of the files/folders you want to delete

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/deleting-old-user-documents-and-settings-files-105525.html
Relevancy 70.52%

during startup i get a pop-up displaying message Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\give.exe.

in addition when sutting down, it says end program-sylePromotion.exe,
which then shows the program is not responding.I have to choose End Now
for pc to continue shutdown.

The pc is not connecting to the internet and is becoming very slow. Am i virus infected? have scanned with AVG 9.0 but nothing is found.

can anyone please help?

thanx

DB

A:Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\giv.exe

Hello and welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

Download the tools needed to a flash drive or other removable media, and transfer them to the infected computer, if you don't have access to internet.

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/windows-cannot-find-c-documents-and-settings-user-giv-exe-452348.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I clicked on the Hidden box of Properties for a couple of my folders.

I lost my limited user account folder in the Users folder. How do I get it back?

Thanks,
theAdmiral

A:I lost my limited user account folder icon in Users folder.

You mean you hide it? If that what happened, just change the folder view setting to show up the hidden folders.
Refer here:
Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide

If that isn't what happened, then elaborate the situation much more.
Take Care

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/195276-i-lost-my-limited-user-account-folder-icon-users-folder.html
Relevancy 70.09%

hello I have uninstalled Windows Vista on my computer and reinstalled XP a year ago My user profile is in quot Users quot instead of quot Documents and settings quot That s not the problem My problem is that I just uninstalled Quicktime and for some reason it said quot Desktop ink refers to a location that is not available quot or something like that Then I saw that the stuff on my Problems and folder settings" "documents with desktop and the programs in the start menu are gone I saw that my desktop folder the start menu folder and my documents pointed to the wrong folders It was supposed to be C Users Michael DR-GV YTALXPRF but now it s C Documents and Settings Michael I tried deleting quot Documents and Settings quot but when i logged in again i saw a message that said quot Windows cannot load the user s profile but has logged you Problems with "documents and settings" folder on with the default profile quot with a countdown timer I am using Windows XP Home SP I have antivirus and antispyware installed I tried system restore didn t work Please help me

A:Problems with "documents and settings" folder

Hi sag 121, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

When you attempted the system restore did you pick a date that was prior to this problem?

You can also try using the Last Known Good Configuration in the advanced boot options.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/346821/problems-with-documents-and-settings-folder/
Relevancy 70.09%

I downloaded seven on the same hdd that my xp was loaded onto and it created the 'windows.old' folder. i wanted to delete this folder because it had nothing i wanted to keep, however, when i tried to do so, the 'documents and settings' folder would not delete.

when i try to delete it, i get this message: 'this is no longer located in C:\Users\kyle\Desktop. Verify the item's location and try again.'

any ideas on what to do so that i can delete this folder would be greatly appreciated.

A:documents and settings folder of windows.old

Try and log off then log on again to see if it's still there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/8961-documents-settings-folder-windows-old.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I am running Windows XP Home version 2002 with SP3 and cannot connect to the internet with 2 of the User Accounts.
Account No 1 No problems
Account No 2 IE freezes whenever I try to connect to the internet.
Account No 3 I set up this new account to see if a new account would have the same problem connecting to the internet as Account No 2. It does.
On checking both Accounts I found that the Documents & Settings folder is missing. In Account No 1 it is present.
Would this missing folder have anything to do with being unable to connect to the internet and if so, how can I resolve the issue?
Many thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
Toscar

A:Missing Documents & Settings Folder

Apologies, updating my 1st post. I re-booted, the Docs & Settings folders are now showing in both accounts. However, I still cannot access the internet.
Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
Toscar

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-documents-settings-folder.872667/
Relevancy 70.09%

I am going to donate this PC to my church and I want to rename my account name in Doacuments and Settings from "stratag" to "MZUMC". I am using Windows XP Home. I tried to use "lusrmgr.msc" but it isnt operable in XP Home. Is there a way to do this, even if it means messing in the registry?

Relevancy 70.09%

In Windows 7 I am trying to access my DRM folder to update a digital rights configuration setting but when I try to open the folder,  I find a padlock icon next to the folder icon and I get a message "C:\Documents and Settings is not accessible. Access is denied." How can I unlock the folder? When I go to properties for the folder and try to change accessibility, access is denied there also.

A:How do i unlock Documents and Settings folder?

You may have to manually reset the DRM rights: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/how-do-you-manually-reset-the-drm-media-rights/dbe7f17f-ece0-4067-a9cf-36c015d7ab1f

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/556058/how-do-i-unlock-documents-and-settings-folder/
Relevancy 70.09%

Anything special about setting permissions and shares on the Documents and Settings folder? Everytime I try to access it or change its permissions I get an access denied message. Tried it with the hidden Admin ID with same results. Vista Home Premium SP2

A:Documents and Settings folder permissions

Documents and settings is not accessible. Access is denied.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/236259-documents-settings-folder-permissions.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have a hard disk here on which XP home is installed and on NTFS. That hard disk has been removed from the original machine because the boot sector has bad clusters and it will no longer go to Windows; however, the hard disk does actually seem to run fine when attached to my other machine running Windows 2000.

My project is to copy all the data from the My Documents folder on the failed hard disk to the good hard disk in the other machine before this failed hard disk has to be returned to Dell. I am getting "Access Denied" when attempting to open this folder. I do understand this folder is protected in some way by the OS; but, I gotta' get this data copied before we have to return the disk to Dell.

Any ideas?

A:Copying Documents And Settings folder

Are you logged into the "good" PC with admin rights? If so, you can take ownership of the folder and then give yourself rights to access all the folders. Then you can copy what you need.

Make sure that when you take ownership or grant rights, that you check the box for all sub-folders.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/copying-documents-and-settings-folder.94030/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello,
When I go to my C drive I can no longer see the folder Documents and Settings, it disappeared. I tried to show hidden files from folder options but its not there.

What I have to do to open it is manually type the address C:\Documents and Settings then it will open and I can see everything inside of it.

Why is the folder not showing if it exists?

Also the same happened to some other files (illustrator files), they just disappeared and I cant find them anymore as if they got deleted.

Help?

Relevancy 70.09%

Hi this is my first post here, thanks for helping!

The store where I bought my computer from used my full name when installing Win XP Pro.

I'm concerned about security, particularly when surfing, so I'd rather not have my full name being used in the Documents and Settings folder.

Can someone please tell me how to get my name out of the system please?

Thank you!

Relevancy 70.09%

A strange folder has appeared twice now on my computer in my Documents and Settings folder. Usually it contains the normal folders for the user accounts on my computer. But there is a folder called "Christian Jansen" that has appeared in it. The first time it said the folder was created December 21, 2008, and I didnt notice it until a few weeks ago. The second time it said the folder was created August 5, 2009, and I just now saw it. The folder is empty except for a folder named "XFER" which is also empty. I have no idea where this came from as its not a user account on my computer. how could have this got on there?

A:Strange folder in Documents and Settings

I guess you guys probably arent gonna help unless I put these

DDS (Ver_09-07-30.01) - NTFSx86
Run by Peter Jones at 23:48:12.27 on Mon 08/17/2009
Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_14
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.511.89 [GMT -4:00]

AV: McAfee VirusScan *On-access scanning enabled* (Updated) {84B5EE75-6421-4CDE-A33A-DD43BA9FAD83}
FW: McAfee Personal Firewall *enabled* {94894B63-8C7F-4050-BDA4-813CA00DA3E8}

============== Running Processes ===============

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k HTTPFilter
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McSACore.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\U3\U3Launcher\LaunchU3.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\VIRUSS~1\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter Jones\My Documents\dds.scr

============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============

uSearchMigratedDefaultURL = hxxp://www.google.com/search?q={searchTerms}&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8
uStart Page = hxxp://gamefaqs.com/
uInternet Settings,ProxyServer = http=localhost:8081
uInternet Settings,ProxyOverride = <local>;*.local
uURLSearchHooks: H - No File
BHO: Adobe PDF Link Helper: {18df081c-e8ad-4283-a596-fa578c2ebdc3} - c:\program files\common files\adobe\acrobat\activex\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
BHO: scriptproxy: {7db2d5a0-7241-4e79-b68d-6309f01c5231} - c:\progra~1\mcafee\viruss~1\scriptsn.dll
BHO: McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO: {b164e929-a1b6-4a06-b104-2cd0e90a88ff} - c:\progra~1\mcafee\sitead~1\mcieplg.dll
BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper: {dbc80044-a445-435b-bc74-9c25c1c588a9} - c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class: {e7e6f031-17ce-4c07-bc86-eabfe594f69c} - c:\program files\java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
TB: Pop-Up Blocker: {d7f30b62-8269-41af-9539-b2697fa7d77e} -
TB: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar: {0ebbbe48-bad4-4b4c-8e5a-516abecae064} - c:\progra~1\mcafee\sitead~1\mcieplg.dll
TB: {2318C2B1-4965-11D4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - No File
TB: Yahoo! Toolbar: {ef99bd32-c1fb-11d2-892f-0090271d4f88} -
TB: {40D41A8B-D79B-43D7-99A7-9EE0F344C385} - No File
EB: {32683183-48a0-441b-a342-7c2a440a9478} - No File
mRun: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE c:\windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
mRun: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
mRun: [dla] c:\windows\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
mRun: [StorageGuard] "c:\program files\common files\sonic\update manager\sgtray.exe" /r
mRun: [DVDSentry] c:\windows\system32\DSentry.exe
mRun: [DwlClient] c:\program files\common files\dell\eusw\Support.exe
mRun: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb08.exe
mRun: [DeviceDiscovery] c:\progra... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/strange-folder-in-documents-and-settings-405693.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I would like to know if it is possible to move your documents and settings folder.

If for instance you have a C: and D: drive, documents and settings is normaly on C: but I would like to move it to D:

Is this possible and how do I do it, I want to move the whole folder and not just my documents.

A:Moving Documents and settings folder

nope..all your login, desktop settings, data for all programs is there..
you can copy..but i think you would get errors saying its write protected or w.e!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/moving-documents-and-settings-folder-251606.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi guys.

Windows 8 screwed up my old user account so I had to transfer to a new one. Unfortunately that new one was named after my email address for some reason as I logged on as a microsoft account rather than a local one. Hence in my computer its called users/email_000

This is very annoying.

I've read tutorials on this from other versions of windows ie. here : User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name - Windows 7 Forums

However it doesn't work for Windows 8. When I try one of the earliest steps (renaming the user folder itself) I cant do it as its 'open in another program' even though that User is not logged on.

Any workarounds? Ive created another admin local user, to no avail.

Thanks for your help!

A:CHANGING User Account Folder names as well as User Name

Hello Chookyman, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The best method to do this is to create a new user account with the name you want, make it an administrator account type or leave as a standard user, sign out, sign in to the new account, then delete the old account.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/11333-changing-user-account-folder-names-well-user-name.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi,

C:\documents and settings\user\cookies\index.dat

I am using windowsXP.
I could not delete the contents of the above file as it says that the file is in use but I did not launch any programs at all. So what must I do to delete the contents of the file index.dat
Thanks

Relevancy 69.66%

not sure what causes this but I have seen it before.

the sys is Windows XP SP3

I had one machine that has gone out on loan during repairs and it now has several orphaned User folders under Documents & Settings, which did not have security set on them, have been emptied, but I would like to cleanup the mess. Logged in as Administrator and in safe mode I cannot delete these. I think this is one of those naming issues where the real name is not what's showing?? something like that.

how do I ditch these? I figure i might could slave it to a Win7 system, take over the files, then delete. that's a lotta work so if there's a quick way, that's better

Relevancy 69.66%

Hi, as stated on the topic, I did a very very dumb thing. I got infected with malware that just created fake folders. Got rid of the malware, but the fake folders remained. they were locked so they were a pain to get rid off. I didn't know it was the real documents and settings and not a fake one. I didn't realize it till I cleared the recycle bin and it showed an unusually large number of items being deleted. too late by then. 

None of my programs are showing any issues for now.. so any way I can get it back? I realize they call it a junction or some sort? System restore doesn't work for permanently deleted files.. If I leave it as is, how badly is it gonna mess things up? 

A:accidentally deleted Documents and settings folder

Among other recovery software/options available...you might try Recuva .

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/527161/accidentally-deleted-documents-and-settings-folder/
Relevancy 69.66%

I can no longer access my 'Documents and Settings' folder, each time I try, I get a message saying 'Access denied'. I tried running a search for files I know are within that folder, but the search just seems to bypass that folder altogether. I tried a system restore, but that didn't help either. HELP!

A:Documents and Settings folder - access denied

Hi Magnummaniac, welcome to the Seven Forums.

Documents and Settings in Windows 7 is not a folder, it is just a junction (link) used for backward compatibility with Windows XP; for instance when an application tries to save something as in XP to Document and Settings, Windows 7 redirects the action to corresponding folder in its own main Users folder, default at C:\Users. A user should never need to access Documents and Settings in Windows 7.

Using myself as an example, I have used Windows 7 six years now, started over a year before it was officially published in 2009. I have never - I repeat Never Ever - even clicked the Documents and Settings icon, nor have I had any reason to access it.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/334291-documents-settings-folder-access-denied.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi My mother board fried or something on my old computer so I purchased a new one There were files on my old hard drive I need on my new computer so I attempted to install it on my new computer as a slave drive Problems arose most likely because they both have comp??? documents Accessing on settings and old folder HD new a from an an OS or some other unknown reason I am a layman when it comes to computer so I couldn t figure out how to install it properly I came to a Accessing documents and settings folder from an old HD on a new comp??? temporary solution though when I used the IDE cables from Accessing documents and settings folder from an old HD on a new comp??? the CD-ROM drive in order to hook up my old hard drive I am now able to access the information on my old hard drive on my new comp - EXCEPT for my old user name in the docs and settings folder I imagine it s because I was the administrator of the computer because I can access the other users desktop folder without a hitch on my old hard drive I just need to access the folders on the desktop on my old drive - it keeps telling me quot access denied quot There are two potential ways I can do this I guess A Figure out how to boot my computer successfully with the old drive B Since my new drive boots up with no problems figure out how to access my old drives docs and settings folder when it s on the slave drive Does anyone have a solution for this Any input on either A or B would be GREATLY appreciated Thank you nbsp

A:Accessing documents and settings folder from an old HD on a new comp???

You need to Take Ownership of the folder. go to the link to read how.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-documents-and-settings-folder-from-an-old-hd-on-a-new-comp.464380/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello First of All I'm New Here and Second I'd like to Thank You Guys for Helping Me Us Now to Business I think I have a Virus or something I have theese multiple rundlls some of most of them are located in c windows which they should be some are applications should be others are PF file EX file MUI files and also slrundlls also an application but I have instances of rundll in C Documents and Settings User Local Settings Application Data Xenocode ApplianceCaches NoLimit exe v A BE Native STUBEXE SYSTEM thinks this is a driver used to run my documents Malwarebytes & folder & Rundll settings in USB pen drive hence the name NoLimit cause my usb is a NoLimit Brand but i could be wrong and its a virus and in C Program Files Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Chameleon I think that this dll in Rundll in documents & settings & Malwarebytes folder this folder is used to run Chameleon which is a product of Malwarebytes so I haven't deleted it cause the rundll exe application is simply used to launch functionality stored in shared dll files Rundll in documents & settings & Malwarebytes folder This executable is a valid part of Windows and normally shouldn t be a threat source http www howtogeek com howto windows-vista what-is-rundll exe-and-why-is-it-running and my AV SuperAntiSpyware amp Malwarebytes itself didn't detect Even in Safe Mode and I have used Online Scanners also to Scan my computer but nothing other than cookies I also Can't open Process Explorer anymore the moment I do My Computer displays Blue screen and some white text for a second so i didn't even have time to read the problem and restarts also yesterday when I could access Process Explorer I found instances of a process one with a process name and command like normal and one w o process name and command so I right click the one w o command amp process name to search for info on the internet then Bam the computer blue screened and restarts So I'm Please Help Thank You DDS Log DDS Ver - - - NTFS x Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by User at on - - Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - AV PC Tools AntiVirus Free Enabled Updated D C B -C DC- F- EF - AF A EFF Running Processes C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SASCORE EXE C Program Files PC Tools PC Tools Security BDT BDTUpdateService exe C Program Files Giraffic Veoh GirafficWatchdog exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe c PROGRA mcafee SITEAD mcsacore exe C Program Files Giraffic Veoh Giraffic exe C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL MICROSOFTBCM Binn sqlservr exe C Program Files RealNetworks RealDownloader rndlresolversvc exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C Program Files PC Tools PC Tools Security pctsAuxs exe C Program Files PC Tools PC Tools Security pctsSvc exe C Program Files Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack SeaPort SeaPort exe C Program Files Secunia PSI PSIA exe C Program Files ThreatFire TFService exe C Program Files Sony VAIO Event Service VESMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VCSW VCSW exe C Program Files Common Files AVG Secure Search vToolbarUpdater ToolbarUpdater exe C Program Files Common Files AVG Secure Search vToolbarUpdater ToolbarUpdater exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzCdb VzCdbSvc exe C Program Files Windows Media Player WMPNetwk exe C WINDOWS system igfxext exe C WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files Yahoo SoftwareUpdate YahooAUService exe C Program Files Sony SmartWi Connection Utility SmartWiService exe C Program Files Common Files Sony Shared VAIO Entertainment Platform VzCdb VzFw exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files PC Tools PC Tools Security pctsGui exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe C WINDOWS SkyTel EXE C Prog... Read more

A:Rundll in documents & settings & Malwarebytes folder

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps.===--RogueKiller--Download & SAVE to your Desktop RogueKiller for 32bit or Roguekiller for 64bit Quit all programs that you may have started.Please disconnect any USB or external drives from the computer before you run this scan!For Vista or Windows 7, right-click and select "Run as Administrator to start"For Windows XP, double-click to start.Wait until Prescan has finished ...Then Click on "Scan" buttonWait until the Status box shows "Scan Finished"click on "delete"Wait until the Status box shows "Deleting Finished"Click on "Report" and copy/paste the content of the Notepad into your next reply.The log should be found in RKreport[1].txt on your DesktopExit/Close RogueKiller+===Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.Click the Report button and the report will open in Notepad.IMPORTANTIf you click the Clean button all items listed in the report will be removed.If you find some false positive items or programs that you wish to keep, Close the AdwCleaner windows.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.Check off the element(s) you wish to keep.Click on the Clean button follow the prompts.A log file will automatically open after the scan has finished.Please post the content of that log file with your next answer.You can find the log file at C:\AdwCleaner[Sn].txt (n is a number).=== Please downloadJunkware Removal Tool to your Desktop.Please close your security software to avoid potential conflicts.Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or 7, right-mouse click it and select Run as administrator.The tool will open and start scanning your system.Please be patient as this can take a while to complete, depending on your system's specifications.On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your Desktop and will automatically open.Please post the contents of JRT.txt into your reply.===Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:Link 1Link 2IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your DesktopDisable your Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools.Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.Some Rookit infection may damage your boot sector. The Windows Recovery Console may be needed to restore it. Do not bypass this installation. You may regret it.**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.Note: If you have difficulty properly disabling your protection programs, refer to this link --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.htmlDo not ... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/510663/rundll-in-documents-settings-malwarebytes-folder/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello I have HelpAssistant Settings Cannot folder and delete in the Documents a folder called HelpAssistant located in Documents and Settings that appears to be a User Account although I don t believe it is because it is not located Cannot delete the HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings in the control Cannot delete the HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings panel under user Cannot delete the HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings accounts I can delete it manually but upon restart it s back Also it is taking up a lot of space and constantly adding more very quickly Everything in this folder is just copies of everything else in the My Documents folders SuperAntiSpyware Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials have not found anything but upon reading other people s posts and doing an Internet search I truly believe this is some type of virus malware maybe a rootkit Trojan or something like that My OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP I do not have the Windows XP CD as this is a Sony Vaio computer and they only give you the package application CDs with the PC Can somebody help me I am not a computer whiz so step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated

A:Cannot delete the HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings

I just wanted to inform you that I am posting my problem on another forum. Thank you anyway.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/328333/cannot-delete-the-helpassistant-folder-in-documents-and-settings/
Relevancy 69.66%

I'm the only user on my computer, so I log in as the administrator. When I click on "Documents and settings" folder I get an error message "access denied". If I right click and choose properties I see I don't access to the security settings.

If I log off or choose switch user, there's only one user available, which is me, the administrator. The way I prefer to use my computer is to auto logon, so it opens up to the desktop and not some logon screen. I would prefer to keep the one user and somehow give me access privileges to everything on my computer. I really don't like all the hyper security, I prefer more like XP, where I can do anything I want. Since I have C drive images if things get fouled up I can always revert to an earlier image.

How can I give myself all access and bypass this security?

A:Administrator can't access Documents and Settings folder

You don't need access to that folder and other folders like that. They are not really folders, they are sort of like shortcuts to be used by older programs that are looking for the old folder structure.

You only see these folders because you (or someone) told the operating system to show hidden stuff.

If you were to force security changes on C:\Documents and Settings it would just lead you to C:\Users.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/315164-administrator-cant-access-documents-settings-folder.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I ve been using Win for a while and have found some quirky behavior but this one has got me stumped The Documents and Settings Folder now appears in Explorer as a Shortcut I don t recall that being the case before When I click it I get the pop up window quot You don t currently have permission to access this folder quot Clicking continue gives nd pop up quot You have been denied access to this folder quot There is only account set up on this laptop and it is the Administrator and of course that is how I am logged in The security permissions show that I have quot Full Control quot quot Special Permissions quot are only assigned to the System If I look at he properties at Settings to and Access Documents Folder Denied least of the shortcut in Explorer they are set to Read-Only So I d like to verify that Access to this folder via Explorer is by Shortcut and it was always that way and didn t magically change There should be access to the actual folder at least by the Administrator Account and how do you access this folder dag nab it Thanks Win nbsp

A:Access Denied to Documents and Settings Folder

winbob said:

I've been using Win7 for a while and have found some quirky behavior, but this one has got me stumped. The Documents and Settings Folder now appears in Explorer as a Shortcut...I don't recall that being the case before? When I click it, I get, the pop up window, "You don't currently have permission to access this folder." Clicking 'continue' gives 2nd pop up, "You have been denied access to this folder".

There is only 1 account set up on this laptop, and it is the Administrator, and of course that is how I am logged in. The security permissions show that I have "Full Control". "Special Permissions" are only assigned to the 'System'.

If I look at he properties (at least of the shortcut in Explorer) they are set to Read-Only.

So, I'd like to verify that:

1. Access to this folder via Explorer is by Shortcut...and it was always that way and didn't magically change.

2. There should be access to the actual folder, at least by the Administrator Account.

3. and how do you access this folder dag nab it.

Thanks,

WinClick to expand...
If no group permissions were changed it is a simple case of ownership. Right click the shortcut>ope file location>right click folder>security>who owns it?

If the owner is not you, you can either add yourself to the group that owns it (trusted installer perhaps?) or take ownership of the folder.
That should enable access

Let us know if you need help

ken J

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-denied-to-documents-and-settings-folder.925239/
Relevancy 69.66%

Despite logged in with Administrator privileges, I can not access this folder. Any reasons. Try to change the Access right for this, but can not change.

Where else should I look?

A:Access Denied for Documents & Settings folder

Try this ffrree.

Take Ownership Shortcut

See how that goes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/210849-access-denied-documents-settings-folder.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I have two users in Win 10. First is My Self an Administrator and second one is a Local User. In Computer Management I stopped sharing of My Self Folder. It is showing now "not shared". In C drive user folders, I clicked My Self Folder and clicked stop sharing but even than Local User is able to view My Self Documents and Desktop etc. Please advise.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/44498-how-stop-local-user-view-documents-admin-account.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello,

I am using Win XP pro and Win 98 SE in a dual boot configuration. Recently one of my logical drives developed a file system error. After correcting it with scandisc I find that that user documents folder(Administrator and user is the same in my case) is missing in My computer. It was there alongside the Shared Documents, But only the Shared Docs., is there now.I can access the folder by going to documents and settings folder. I had done a repair using the installation disc but no use.Any Idea how this happened and how to get it back?

Thank you.

A:missing user documents folder

Hi gonsalvesHave you tried a System Restore? Not sure if it will work after a repair install but it might. You need to redo your Windows Updates after a Repair Install also.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28661/missing-user-documents-folder/
Relevancy 69.23%

I have a problem with a Windows 7 machine with three user accounts on it. and at random times, it will log onto a different user than the one I clicked on in the welcome screen. I googled the problem but nothing relevant

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/543774/windows-7-logs-into-wrong-user-account/
Relevancy 69.23%

I have a problem with a Windows 7 machine with three user accounts on it. and at random times, it will log onto a different user than the one I clicked on in the welcome screen. I googled the problem but nothing relevant

A:Windows 7 logs into wrong user account

That is quite odd.

Please Run sfc /scan now using option 2 in this tutorial: SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Please post back the results.
Please indicate what message was displayed at the end:

Windows found no integrity violations

OR

Corrupt files were found, and windows was unable to fix them.

OR

Corrupt files were found, and windows successfully repaired them

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/340814-windows-7-logs-into-wrong-user-account.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I recently bought new computers a router and networked the home It wasn t easy to changed Settings Documents User Change & name logon match Name but done I have the host computer and my children are each on wireless as clients Both children can access internet but Change Documents & Settings User Name to match changed logon name only can access printer I actually figured out the problem that s huge as Change Documents & Settings User Name to match changed logon name I m a network idiot My son s computer can t use printer is using my old computer with MY name on it I am on the new computer with MY name on it So when he tries to access the printer it doesn t know where to go I have windows xp HOME and from what I see I can t change the name on his computer the folder immediately under documents amp settings I followed instructions to copy from one folder to another ie Mine to his using a rd administrator account I could copy any account but mine Now I need help Can anyone offer any ideas Is there software that can do this I don t even mind changing the name on my present computer but it also is windows xp home I eagerly await your instructions Thank you from all of us nbsp

Relevancy 68.8%

I am running contents Documents Settings Missing Documents and Folder missing + Vista Home Basic I first noticed this afternoon Documents contents missing + Settings and Documents Folder Missing that my quot Documents quot folder was empty I searched all locations Documents contents missing + Settings and Documents Folder Missing and all I found was a shortcut to one of the missing files It gave me the following error The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved so this shortcut Documents contents missing + Settings and Documents Folder Missing will no longer work properly Do you want to remove the shortcut I did a system restore to the recommended restore point On reboot some folders and files had appeared in quot Documents quot but many were still missing I tried another system restore to an earlier date but upon reboot had a message stating the restore was not successfull and no files or settings had been changed I had a look for my quot Documents and Settings quot folder but couldn t find it I chose options to show hidden files and prtected system files I turned of the sharing wizard option also I searched again for quot Documents and Settings quot and it appeared in the search window on clicking I got the error Documents and Settings refers to a location that is unavailable It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network Check that the disk is properly inserted and that you are connected to the internet or your network and then try again If it still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different location I went my computer gt C to locate the folder but all I could find was a shortcut to the folder although it wasn t showing up as a shortcut in the search facility I had another look in quot Documents quot and several shortcuts had appeared quot My Music quot quot My Videos quot quot My Pictures quot I also noticed quite a few other new files and shortcuts under User Of note quot my documents quot I tried to click on quot my documents quot and got this error mydocuments is not accessable Access is denied Same error for all other shortcuts I disabled AUC and security alerts then I used an Unlock program and managed to gain full control of the file The contents were an exact copy of the current state of the quot Documents quot folder still minus the missing files Next I ran file scavenger data recovery software and was unable to locate any of the missing files though I did spot a folder quot Documents quot which I successfully restored Once restored it showed the path to be Unknown AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows SendTo Documents It is a MyDocs Drop Targert folder with the extension mydocs I have been unable to open it as I do not know which programme I need to use I also downloaded Microsoft Automated Troubleshooter which gave me the following report File and Folder TroubleshooterPublisher details Issues found Icons randomly change to different iconsIcons randomly change to different icons Some icons in My Computer in Windows Explorer on the desktop or on the Quick Launch bar change randomly This behavior occurs if the icon cache is not updated correctly Not fixed Rebuild the icon cacheSucceeded You cannot use keyboard shortcuts to select more than one item in Windows Explorer after you install certain applications on a Windows Vista-based computerYou cannot use keyboard shortcuts to select more than one item in Windows Explorer after you install certain applications on a Windows Vista-based computer On a Windows Vista-based computer you cannot use keyboard shortcuts to select more than one item in Windows Explorer For example you cannot use the CTRL A keyboard shortcut to select all the items in a Windows Explorer window Also you cannot select multiple items in a Windows Explorer window by holding the SHIFT key or the CTRL key while you click the items This problem occurs because certain applications add a key to the registry The key prevents you from selecting multi... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-contents-missing-settings-and-documents-folder-missing.959554/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi i was just sent here from the windows xp area here is my problem Everytime i try to open that folder that i typed in the title the window shuts down and it sends me an error message there is absoluetly no way open. will settings\owner\shared folder and not H:\documents i can get in everytime i download an anti spyware or anti virus it stops and shuts down as soon as it starts scanning that particular folder i try'd all five steps that i was given and none worked everything stops at that folder even if i do a search of something in that folder it makes the search stop this is driving me crazy anyways i was asked that i post a hijckthis log if none of the steps worked so here it is Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes H WINDOWS System smss exe H WINDOWS system csrss exe H WINDOWS system winlogon exe H WINDOWS system services exe H WINDOWS system lsass exe H WINDOWS system svchost exe H WINDOWS system svchost exe H WINDOWS System svchost exe H WINDOWS system svchost H:\documents and settings\owner\shared folder will not open. exe H WINDOWS system svchost exe H WINDOWS system spoolsv exe H WINDOWS Explorer EXE h program files mcafee com agent mcdetect exe h PROGRA H:\documents and settings\owner\shared folder will not open. mcafee com agent mctskshd exe H H:\documents and settings\owner\shared folder will not open. PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exe H PROGRA mcafee com vso mcvsshld exe H Program Files Musicmatch Musicmatch Jukebox mm tray exe H Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe H Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe h progra mcafee com vso mcvsescn exe H WINDOWS system LVCOMSX EXE h PROGRA mcafee com vso mcvsrte exe H Program Files Logitech Video LogiTray exe H Program Files QuickTime qttask exe H PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MPFSERVICE exe H Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe H PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MpfTray exe H Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe H Program Files MessengerPlus MsgPlus exe H WINDOWS LTMSG exe H WINDOWS system r server exe H WINDOWS system igfxtray exe H WINDOWS system hkcmd exe H Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe H WINDOWS system svchost exe H Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe H Program Files Logitech Video ManifestEngine exe H Program Files TheWeatherNetwork WeatherEye WeatherEye exe H Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exe H WINDOWS system wdfmgr exe H Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpobnz exe H Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpotdd exe H Program Files Musicmatch Musicmatch Jukebox mim exe H PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MpfAgent exe H Program Files Musicmatch Musicmatch Jukebox MMDiag exe h progra mcafee com vso mcvsftsn exe H Program Files Logitech Video FxSvr exe H Program Files Yahoo Messenger ymsgr tray exe H Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpoevm exe h PROGRA mcafee com vso mcshield exe H Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe H WINDOWS system HPZipm exe H WINDOWS System alg exe H Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging Bin hpoSTS exe H Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktopIndex exe H Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktopCrawl exe H DOCUME Owner LOCALS Temp Rar EX HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext Microsoft Windows Update R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings AutoConfigURL http localhost proxy pac O - BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - H Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO My Global Search Bar BHO - B A - B- - CAD- E - H Program Files MyGlobalSearch bar bin MGSBAR DLL O - BHO no name - A - B-F - - C A B - H DOCUME Owner APPLIC joywipe Partidol exe file missing O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - H Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - H Program Fi... Read more

A:H:\documents and settings\owner\shared folder will not open.

Hello argenys and welcome to TSF,

You have a few infections aboard so please be patient as we need to go after them in stages.

Please copy this page to Notepad and save to your desktop for reference as you will not have any browsers open while you are carrying out portions of these instructions.

It is IMPORTANT that you don't miss a step & perform everything in the correct order/sequence.

You are running Hijack This from a temporary directory. It needs to be in a permanent folder as the program creates backup files that we may need to use later. If the program is in a Temporary folder, files may be deleted by you or automatically if your system is set to empty temp files.

Please go into Windows Explorer, (My Computer)
click on C: then click on File > New > Folder and call it HJT , or another name of your choice.

While I do not see Webroot's Active Protection in your running processes, please make sure it is disabled or it will interfere with the fix below:

SpySweeper:Open Spysweeper and click on Options > Program Options and uncheck "load at windows startup".
To disable SpySweeper ShieldsClick Shields on the left.
Click Internet Explorer and uncheck all items.
Click Windows System and uncheck all items.
Click Startup Programs and uncheck all items.
Click Browser Add-Ons and uncheck all items.
Exit Spysweeper.

Please download FixWareout from one of these sites:
http://downloads.subratam.org/Fixwareout.exe
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/file...Fixwareout.exeSave it to your desktop and run it.
Click "Next", then Install, make sure "Run fixit" is checked and click Finish.
The fix will begin: Please follow the prompts.
You will be asked to reboot your compute: Please do so.
Your system may take longer than usual to load and this is normal.
Once the desktop loads a text file will open (report.txt), you can close it - the file has already been saved.

-----------------------------------

Run HijackThis. Click "Do a System Scan Only" , and place a check next to the following items:

O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 85.255.114.88 85.255.112.72
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 85.255.114.88 85.255.112.72
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: NameServer = 85.255.114.88 85.255.112.72

Click FIX CHECKED. Close HijackThis.

-----------------------------------

Finally, please post the contents of the text file that opened earlier (you can find it at C:fixwareoutreport.txt ), along with a new HijackThis log into this topic.

**If you receive an error message while trying to run FixWareout, copy autoexec.nt from the C:\WINDOWS\repair folder to C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder, and run FixWareout again.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/h-documents-and-settings-owner-shared-folder-will-not-open-124776.html
Relevancy 68.8%

When ever I start up my computer the Documents and Settings folder opens automatically upon Start-up. Does any one know how to resolve this?

A:Documents and Settings folder opens automatically upon Start-up

It opens to Documents and Setting or your My Documents folder?
http://dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_mydocsopens.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-and-settings-folder-opens-automatically-upon-start-up.818090/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi

I have recently noticed this file in my Documents and Settings Folder:

010000031210DE041510B0.bios

Has anyone any idea what this might relate to and why it is there?

A:Unknown file in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner Folder

Hello EricG

I have never heard of a ".bios" file extension.

I would be suspicious of it.

Go here and use the "Browse" button to find it on your machine. Upload it to be scanned for malware.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/unknown-file-in-c-documents-and-settings-owner-folder-457135.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Basically have duplicates of the profile folders in documents and settings and want to delete them as they take a fair bit of harddrive space.

Thanks.

A:Duplicates of folders in the documents and settings folder after reinstall

Some duplicates are needed for a system to function properly. Be careful about deleting, although I can't say the ones you have are needed. Wait for others to reply.

{redoak}

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/duplicates-of-folders-in-the-documents-and-settings-folder-after-reinstall.625077/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello I have a folder called quot HelpAssistant quot located in Documents and Settings that appears to be a User Account but I don't believe it is because it's rid Documents Settings folder Trojan?) in Get (Rootkit and HelpAssistant of not located in the Get rid of HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings (Rootkit Trojan?) control panel under user accounts I can delete it manually but upon restart it's back It is Get rid of HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings (Rootkit Trojan?) taking up a lot of space and the size is constantly going up Everything in this folder is just copies of everything else in the My Documents folders SuperAntiSpyware Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials have not found anything but upon reading Get rid of HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings (Rootkit Trojan?) other people's posts and doing an Internet search I truly believe this is some type of virus malware maybe a rootkit Trojan or something like that My OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP I do not have the Windows XP CD as this is a Sony Vaio computer and they only give you the package application CDs with the PC Can somebody help me DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Kim at on Sat Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition GMT - AV Microsoft Security Essentials On-access scanning enabled Updated BCF -A - -AEDE-D FCBCFCDF Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe c Program Files Microsoft Security Essentials MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs svchost exe svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k hpdevmgmt C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k HPService C Program Files Common Files Intuit Update Service IntuitUpdateService exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C Program Files Motorola MotoConnectService MotoConnectService exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HPZ C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HPZ C Program Files Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack SeaPort SeaPort exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvc C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system VTTimer exe C WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXE C Program Files Microsoft Security Essentials msseces exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqSTE exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqbam exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqgpc exe C Documents and Settings Kim Desktop dds pif Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www facebook com mDefault Search URL mSearch Page http www microsoft com isapi redir ie amp ar iesearch mStart Page about blank mSearchAssistant about blank uURLSearchHooks H - No File uURLSearchHooks H - No File mURLSearchHooks H - No File BHO D -C F - efb- B - ECA - No File BHO Adobe PDF Link Helper df c-e ad- -a -fa c ebdc - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dll BHO Search Helper ebf - f- bff-a f-b e aac b - c program files microsoft search enhancement pack search helper SEPsearchhelperie dll BHO MSN Toolbar Helper d ce e -f a- - e- dc f c f - c program files msn toolbar msneshellx dll BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dll BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class e e f - ce- c -bc -eabfe f c - c program files java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll TB MSN Toolbar e ed c- cb - d -b e -ab c c - c program files msn toolbar msneshellx dll TB A A -BACC- D - - A E E - No File TB A A -BACC- D - - FADCF - No File TB CCC A -B CA- -B A - F DD - No File TB BC A- - D - AC -E B A BA C - No File uRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exe uRunOnce Shockwave Updater c windows system adobe shockwave SwHelper exe -Update - - quot Mozilla compatible MSIE Windows NT Trident NET CLR NET CLR NET CLR quot - quot http www nickjr com kids-games little-bears-jigsaw-puzzle h... Read more

A:Get rid of HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings (Rootkit Trojan?)

Hi

Please do the following:

Please download this file, and save it to your Desktop. Once you have downloaded it, save and close all other programs and run it by double-clicking on the file named "RootRepeal.exe".

Once the main window shows up, please click on the "Report" button on the bottom of the window. Next, please click the "Scan" button.

Another window will pop up asking you to select what to include in the scan. Please uncheck everything except for the "Stealth Code" checkbox, and then click OK.

Once the program has finished scanning, the results will appear. Click on the "Save Report" button, and save the report to your desktop.

Finally, please open this report with Notepad, and post it here.

NEXT

Download and run HAMeb_check.exe save it to your desktop.

Click on the icon to run it, when complete it will open a log for you, please post the content of the log in your next reply.

Note: The log is temporary - it will not be saved when closed, so please be sure to copy the content so that you can paste it into your next reply before you close the log

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/get-rid-of-helpassistant-folder-in-documents-and-settings-rootkit-trojan-494783.html
Relevancy 68.8%

anytime i try to access documents and settings, am told access is denied.i want to paste a file at startup but because of this i cant.Also am trying to let my pc welcome me after booting but i cant pls assist memessage edited by EddyEmrysAsante

A:Access Denied for Windows 8.1 Documents & Settings folder

That is the correct condition - you are not supposed to be able to access that area. If you have tried to force the issue undo whatever you have done before you hit trouble, using System Restore if necessary.This is the path you want to get you to the Startup folder:"C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"You need to say what this welcome idea is about - a screen message, audio or what? You can put a shortcut in Startup to whatever you wish.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanksmessage edited by Derek

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/access-denied-for-windows-81-documents-settings-folder-/2011.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I have just had my computer wiped and xp put back on
However the person who did this for me has called me John by mistake!
I can change it in my user account

But in C Documents and Settings I may be John forever unless I have to lose my computer for it to be wiped again

Any quick and safe way to do this please?

When I try it says its a Windows file and cannot be re named
Please help

A:Rename computer administrator in Documents and settings folder

I just tested that. I created an account and gave it administrative privileges. Booted in and out of the account. Booted back in to my regular account and renamed the new account in users and documents and settings. Booted back out and logged onto that new changed account without a problem. Worked for me!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/rename-computer-administrator-in-documents-and-settings-folder.269321/
Relevancy 68.8%

hi i at settings showing startup documents/local folder think you solved this for someone else but here goes for me too this folder opens at startup c documents local settings i use google chrome and it consistently shows the error message quot google chrome did not shut down properly quot upon opening these two problems started at the same time in addition this seems to have happened after i downloaded webroot secureanywhere v and then deinstalling ms security essentials also chrome and the netbook in general have been running slowly-- that was happening before the antivirus switch Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition documents/local settings folder showing at startup Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Atom TM CPU N GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Mobile Intel R Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC HA Antivirus Webroot SecureAnywhere Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled someone on a previous post said download hijackthis thank you for help nbsp

Relevancy 68.8%

Im running windows and Ive been having lots of issues with one drive so I decided to unlink it to my pc and turn it off completely The documents folder in 'this pc' no longer works now as the folder path goes to one drive is there a way of fixing this Also the documents folder is missing from from 'the folder with my user name' the one with all the lovely icons When I try to create a new folder and call it documents an error shows that I cant have two folders with the same name I therefore thought that the folder may have been hidden so I set show hidden files and it showed me a my documents folder that was faded out and I cant do anything with that no idea what that means The only place in which the documents folder still exists is in my user account s folder in the c drive and library Can anyone help with this issue

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/439496-my-documents-folder-gone-my-user-name-folder.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi,
I'm using Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 8.1.
Recently something happened and the screen became black. I tried to recover the original wallpaper but couldn't do it. At the same time the keyboard stopped working.
I discovered that this is connected to the user account. As I had to reinstall the system anyway, I set a new Windows user account with a different name and the laptop started to work properly.
I would like to avoid changing users in case this situation repeats. Could you tell me what I should do (to change in user accoung settings) if I have similar problem in the future?
Thanks in advance.
Robert

A:User account settings

The best way I know of is to make complete system backup Using something like Macrium Reflect (my favorite), back it up when everything works good and do backups every now and than. In case of big trouble, you are just minutes away from properly set system.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56414-user-account-settings.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Alright- Firstly ,Thanks so much for the help.

Previously I asked a question pertaining to partitioning of my Hard Drive

Which Thank you I successfully did and it turned out quite well.

I'm running windows 7 x64

Now I was hoping to allocate all my files that would normally be placed in my
Users/<user> folder to one of my partitions.

I tried just changing the location of a few as a test.
Namely Videos , Pictures , Documents and Downloads.

What this did was end up creating clones of the folders that I can not access
Being the admin account and being told access is denied was always a pet peeve of mine.

Is there a way around this?

A:Moving User / Documents Folder Location

Hello Merr,

How did you change the location of the folders? Right click and then move?

Right click on the cloned folders and go to properties. See if you can view the Security Tab. If you can, check to see if your user account it in the list. If not, try and add it and give Full control Permissions.

Dave

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/moving-user-documents-folder-location-547726.html