Windows Support Forum

How to delete orphan User remnants from Documents & Settings?

Q: How to delete orphan User remnants from Documents & Settings?

not sure what causes this but I have seen it before.

the sys is Windows XP SP3

I had one machine that has gone out on loan during repairs and it now has several orphaned User folders under Documents & Settings, which did not have security set on them, have been emptied, but I would like to cleanup the mess. Logged in as Administrator and in safe mode I cannot delete these. I think this is one of those naming issues where the real name is not what's showing?? something like that.

how do I ditch these? I figure i might could slave it to a Win7 system, take over the files, then delete. that's a lotta work so if there's a quick way, that's better

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How to delete orphan User remnants from Documents & Settings?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 91.59%

Hi,

C:\documents and settings\user\cookies\index.dat

I am using windowsXP.
I could not delete the contents of the above file as it says that the file is in use but I did not launch any programs at all. So what must I do to delete the contents of the file index.dat
Thanks

Relevancy 80.41%

Windows Just before upgrading from Windows to I deleted I believe all files for malware like delta babylon and some other ones alike Renmant remainin registry I would be reassuring to safely delete them also Then Adwcleaner deleted the files from current user File C Users Usuario AppData Local Google Chrome User Data Default preferences File C Users local account AppData Local Google Chrome User Data Default preferences So when I connect now Registry recovering IE user settings, file remnants, to my default browser Google signals that it cannot find my preferences neither save them for next time The upgrade to did not solve this But the files seem to remain for Guest user What can I do some way to copy them from GUEST user or other I only accepted some of the deletions proposed by Adwcleaner you can find the details in this log https skydrive live com redir aspx ive amp Bsrc Share Should I delete also the rest of the keys or at least manually delete their their values different from default or if safer replace reference to i e yonwc exe by QUyonwc txt in spite of Windows warnings against using Adwcleaner Should I accept any of the recommendations of the Panda scan Non valid link File not found HIDDENPROC to be deleted unknown file C PROGRAM FILES X REALTEK REALTEK PCIE CARD READER RICONMAN EXE to be deleted unknown Register key HKLM SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services IconMan R to be deleted Suspicious policy Registry remnants, IE settings, recovering user file HKCU SOFTWARE MICROSOFT WINDOWS CURRENTVERSION EXPLORER ADVANCED HIDEFILEEXT replace by Suspicious policy HKCU SOFTWARE MICROSOFT WINDOWS CURRENTVERSION EXPLORER ADVANCED HIDEFILEEXT replace by Many thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/33801-registry-remnants-ie-settings-recovering-user-file.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Windows Just before upgrading from Windows to I deleted I believe all files for malware like delta babylon and some other ones alike Renmant remainin registry I would be reassuring to safely delete them also Then Adwcleaner deleted the files from current user File C Users Usuario AppData Local Google Chrome User Data Default preferences File C Users local account AppData Local Google Chrome User Data Default preferences So when I connect now to my default browser Google signals that it cannot find my preferences neither save them for next time The upgrade to did not solve this But the files seem to remain for Guest user What can I do some way to copy them from GUEST user or other I only accepted some of the deletions proposed by Adwcleaner you can find the details in this log https skydrive live com redir aspx user recovering remnants, Registry IE settings, file cid e f db fa dc amp page self amp resid E F DB FA DC amp parid E F DB FA DC amp authkey amp Bpub SDX SkyDrive amp Bsrc Share Should I delete also the rest of the keys or at least manually delete their their values different from default or if safer replace reference to i e yonwc exe by QUyonwc txt in spite of Windows warnings against using Adwcleaner Should I accept any of the recommendations of the Panda scan Non Registry remnants, IE settings, recovering user file valid link File not found HIDDENPROC to be deleted unknown file C PROGRAM FILES X REALTEK REALTEK PCIE CARD READER RICONMAN EXE to be deleted unknown Registry remnants, IE settings, recovering user file Register key HKLM SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services IconMan R to be deleted Suspicious policy HKCU SOFTWARE MICROSOFT WINDOWS CURRENTVERSION EXPLORER ADVANCED HIDEFILEEXT replace by Suspicious policy HKCU SOFTWARE MICROSOFT WINDOWS CURRENTVERSION EXPLORER ADVANCED HIDEFILEEXT replace by Many thanks

A:Registry remnants, IE settings, recovering user file

log in as guest and copy and save the files to media like flash drive and log out.  login to your account and add them to the correct file.  you might have to give your guest account admin permissions or allow admin popup and password for system files and adding programs  copy n paste should work,but BACKUP the current files first in your file path so if it jacks up you can revert    yes accept them  but backup your reg just in case
also save your book marks and reinstall chrome?  see if that works  if your unsure about keys and files go to www.shouldiremovethis.com   Or google search it, it gives tips to almost anything in your computer and stats on use and users etc.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/511583/registry-remnants-ie-settings-recovering-user-file/
Relevancy 75.68%

When I started up it says Win.ini corrupt. Then it starts
up as a new user losing track of Favorites and Start Menu
and Desktop Icons, Display and Folder attributes. Under
Documents and Settings it has added Dave.U5R2D5 in
addition to Dave which still has all the information. I tried
switching the 2 Filenames to get back to what it used to be but
gave an error message and didn't do it and started another new file.
Is there some way to use the old Dave file?

A:Lost settings, New user made in Documents and Settings

Hiya asd123321.

It sounds like you`ve re-installed the system from CD over the top of an existing system, giving you a fresh `Dave`. Have you recently run a repair or indeed, done a clean install ?

As a work-around, can you take the documents & favourites from the old `Dave` and put them in the new `Dave` so at least you`re back up and running again.

Jenny

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-settings-new-user-made-in-documents-and-settings.920132/
Relevancy 73.1%

I am laptop user. About 2hr ago, i login to my lappy and discover that my profile is different. My folders on desktop went missing and some of the setting changed. Then i try on my own to solve it but to no avail. Fortunately i come upon my C:\Documents and Settings and discover that strange profile C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP and my original profile C:\Documents and Settings\p0716499 was still there. This imply that my previous setting and files are still in my laptop. However, I cant changed back to the original profile and struck with the temp profile.
Initially i suspect is registry problem so i DL "UPHClean Service" by miscosoft but to no avail. Now currently i suspect it might be the work of a virus. I need help. Thank anyone who help me in advance.

A:User profile path change to user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP :\Documents and Settings...

This morning when i woke up, i discovered a icon named "syminstallstub" on my desktop. I checked online and i believe that it could be a virus. I try to find ways to uninstall it but to no avail I not sure what did my younger brother do to my laptop. I feel that im damn unlucky and encounter 2 problems in a row. Please help me solve my problems.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394384/user-profile-path-change-to-user-profile-path-change-to-cdocuments-and-settingstemp-documents-and-settingstemp/
Relevancy 72.24%

I made a new user account under Windows XP Pro and deleted my old one. Then I saw the old user's folder. I tired to delete it but I couldn't and an error message popped up:

That folder is 3.48 GB heavy and contains over 13000 files.
I also tried to take ownership of that folder. No luck.

So, please, if you know how to solve this problem, let me know.

Me.

A:Documents and Settings\User

Hi

Firstly you can run chkdsk - hopefully that will sort out the strange file name:
To do this go to Start -> Run -> type chkdsk c: /r -> click Ok . When asked if you want to force a dismount say No. When asked to schedule the check at the next startup say Yes. Restart your PC to allow chkdsk to run.

Then you can download Unlocker, save it to your hard drive and install it.
Once installed
-Right click on the User folder
-Select Unlocker
-In the Unlocker screen choose Delete under action
-If any processes are locking the folder select Unlock All, If no locking handles are found press OK

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/documents-and-settings-user-523004.html
Relevancy 71.81%

hello i have windows xp pro and and in Documents and Settings i have account folders and one of them has alot of used space it was another account i forgot the password to and its taking up gbs on my hard drive how do i delete it
can anyone help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-in-documents-and-settings-can-not-delete-an-account.541055/
Relevancy 71.38%

I recently replaced my motherboard which because my new one is a different chipset than my old one, required me to repair my windows install. Rather than do that and possibly lose a bunch of stuff in My Documents folder and my extensive Favorites I opted to just do a new install on another partition. So far everything has worked fine but when I tried to get into my old Admin files in my "Documents & Settings" Folder it gave me a red x and said Access Denied.

Anyone know how I get around this and into this folder?

A:Help Accesing Old User Documents & Settings?

Google for "Take Ownership of Files". It's an easy fix.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-accesing-old-user-documents-settings.449685/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi my name s David I turned on my computer today and found all my settings my desktop icons my favourites my playlists in Media Player etc were all missing All my programs thought I was using them for the first time it was as if I was a new user When I searched for a document I d saved to the desktop I found it in Documents and Settings David In fact all my documents and pictures were there Documents in Settings and Second User Folder However in Documents and Settings there now appears to be a second user folder called David DAVID- BA C that doesn t contain any of my documents or settings and I appear to be accessing that account instead of my normal user account So my computer has created a second rogue account that I am logged in as I tried to Change User but the only option was David and that took me back to the Second User Folder in Documents and Settings David DAVID- BA C desktop I am the only person who uses my computer I tried changing the name of the user account from David to Steve in Control Panel User Accounts This had the affect of changing the name of Documents and Settings David My Documents to Documents and Settings David Steve s Documents However when I tried to change users the only option was called Steve and it took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop This means that any changes I make to my user settings the computer applies to David and Windows thinks I am David but I can only log in as David DAVID- BA C This is causing a number of problems for my programs such as Live Messenger which won t let me sign in Please help me I would be happy to supply any futher details nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/second-user-folder-in-documents-and-settings.987887/
Relevancy 71.38%

Windows XP. Am sorting out a computer for a friend. Under Control Panel/User Accounts it just shows 1 - his name. However, if I look at C:\Documents and Settings, there are 4 entries:
Administrator, [4MB] All Users, [37MB] Default Users [487KB] and the name of his daughter who used to own the computer [4GB]. Are all these necessary? I tried to change the last one to his name but it told me it was a system file and could not be renamed. I located the profile in the Registry - is it safe to delete the one in his daughter's name?

Thanks

Relevancy 71.38%

Hi my name's David I turned on my computer today and found all my settings my desktop icons my favourites my playlists in Media Player etc were all missing All my programs thought I was using them for the first time it was as if I was a new user When I searched for a document I'd saved to the desktop I found it in Documents and Settings David In Folder Settings Documents in and User Second fact all my documents and pictures were there However in Documents and Settings there Second User Folder in Documents and Settings now appears to be a second user folder called David DAVID- BA C that doesn't contain any of my documents or settings and I appear Second User Folder in Documents and Settings to be accessing that account instead of my normal user Second User Folder in Documents and Settings account So my computer has created a second rogue account that I am logged in as I tried to Change User but the only option was 'David' and that took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop I am the only person who uses my computer I tried changing the name of the user account from 'David' to 'Steve' in Control Panel User Accounts This had the affect of changing the name of Documents and Settings David My Documents to Documents and Settings David Steve's Documents However when I tried to change users the only option was called 'Steve' and it took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop This means that any changes I make to my user settings the computer applies to 'David' and Windows thinks I am 'David' but I can only log in as 'David DAVID- BA C ' This is causing a number of problems for my programs such as Live Messenger which won't let me sign in Please help me I would be happy to supply any futher details

A:Second User Folder in Documents and Settings

try creating a new user account and see if you can access that ok, and create a new document (anything will do). If you are ok accessing that, then migrate all your docs over to the new account. Hope the following will give you some idea: How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

Can you post back and let me know if you are able to create and access a new user account.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/second-user-folder-in-documents-and-settings-560918.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I recently replaced my motherboard which because my new one is a different chipset than my old one, required me to repair my windows install. Rather than do that and possibly lose a bunch of stuff in My Documents folder and my extensive Favorites I opted to just do a new install on another partition. So far everything has worked fine but when I tried to get into my old Admin files in my "Documents & Settings" Folder it gave me a red x and said Access Denied.

Anyone know how I get around this and into this folder?

A:Help Accessing old User Documents & Settings?

You would have been just fine doing a repair install.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Take Ownership of the folders and files.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=XP+Take+Ownership

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-accessing-old-user-documents-and-settings-93029.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi,
I reinstalled XP3 on my pc which has a corrupted XP2 preinstalled without formatting the drive. After everything's set I still have my previous user accounts in the C:\Documents and Settings. Please help me erase this as it is eating up the memory.
Thanks a lot.

A:Old user accounts on C:\Documents and Settings!

When you go to Start>Control Panel>User Accounts do you see the old accounts?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/old-user-accounts-on-c-documents-and-settings-328680.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi all
I've been installing / uninstalling stuff while testing on a CLEAN install of W7 (x-64).

I see now one of the directories (Documents and settings username1) is now 7GB.

The WHOLE OS only takes around 14 GB .

I can't see what's taking up the space -- is there any nice utility that clearly can show Disk usage in a sort of cloured pie / bar chart etc rather like the nice Linux utility DU. (I've enabled "show hidden files etc").

I'm sure it's all related to me installing / uninstalling stuff but Windows explorer is a HORRIBLE tool for "Cleaning up" disks etc. It's fine for everyday purposes but for this type of stuff it's not the correct tool.

Cheers
jimbo

A:Documents and settings - user user1 7 GB HELP

Hi Jimbo,

Have a look at this TreeSize Free https://www.jam-software.de/customer...80&language=EN

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/10012-documents-settings-user-user1-7-gb-help.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I had a registry problem in that when I booted up my laptop it said a hive file for the SOFTWARE key was damaged I fixed this by going into recovery console and restoring the registry backup So now Windows starts again and everything is good All of my files are still in tact However my settings are all gone Even though Settings Folders User in and Documents my files are on the hard drive the appearance of everything is as if Windows has just been installed In Documents and Settings the reason is revealed My user folder in there was Jon Jon is still there and Windows says I m logged in as Jon but in the Documents and Settings folder there is a Jon JONSLAPTOP folder and I am assuming Windows loaded with the settings from THAT folder which I User Folders in Documents and Settings assume was created when recovery console fixed the registry hive file My question is is there a quick User Folders in Documents and Settings fix to getting my settings back Can I just copy everything from Jon into Jon JONSLAPTOP and then rename it Jon and delete the other Jon Or are there settings in this new Jon JONSLAPTOP folder that I need to make Windows bootup now Anyone nbsp

A:User Folders in Documents and Settings

Oh, and also, I've noticed, some programs give me a "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed" error message, and I think it's saying that because when said programs were installed, this 'Jon.JONSLAPTOP' folder didn't exist, and therefore that user didn't get privleges to use it. Which still doesn't make sense because XP says I'm still logged in as 'Jon', the same user from before, but using settings I assume from 'Jon.JONSLAPTOP' instead of 'Jon'.

If anyone can help me with this I'd appreciate it. If not I'm gonna format my hard drive tomorrow.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-folders-in-documents-and-settings.312643/
Relevancy 71.38%

I find one user account name called "default user" in C:/documents and settings.

I wonder what it's all about.

A:what is default user in documents and settings

Whenever a new user logs on (the first time), Windows copies the settings from the Default User profile (located at Documents and Settings\Default User) to the newly created user profile. In other words, the Default User profile is as a template which Windows uses in order to initialize new profiles/logins.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/what-is-default-user-in-documents-and-settings-554876.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Can anyone explain to me why I have five "user" folders in C:Documents and Settings ? They are "Administrator", "Owner", "All Users", "Default User", and "Administrator+computer name". Under User Accts. in Control Panel, there is only "Owner(computer administrator)" and "Guest(account off)". The first five seem to make Explorer very bloated and confusing to me. Do I really need all five folders and if so what purpose do they serve?
Thanks

A:Why are there so many "user" folders in C:Documents and Settings?

Hello and welcome,

Each one of those folders represents a user on that system. The amount of folders varies due to how many users and what software is using the computer. Windows XP and Vista don't show these accounts in the user accounts section of the control panel without editing the registry. I would leave the accounts on the system for now.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/231222/why-are-there-so-many-user-folders-in-cdocuments-and-settings/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have two different users listed under "C:\Documents and Settings", am using one of them, and want to delete the other. The user is not listed as an active user to log on as and the directory will not delete. No matter what I try to do it it says "Access Denied". Any assistance appreciated!

A:Unable to delete a directory under C:\Documents and Settings

If you NTFS
Take ownership of the folder. I'd type it all out for you but it's faster to go to the "Help and Support menu" And search "permissions"

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/unable-to-delete-a-directory-under-c-documents-and-settings-121663.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello I have HelpAssistant Settings Cannot folder and delete in the Documents a folder called HelpAssistant located in Documents and Settings that appears to be a User Account although I don t believe it is because it is not located Cannot delete the HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings in the control Cannot delete the HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings panel under user Cannot delete the HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings accounts I can delete it manually but upon restart it s back Also it is taking up a lot of space and constantly adding more very quickly Everything in this folder is just copies of everything else in the My Documents folders SuperAntiSpyware Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials have not found anything but upon reading other people s posts and doing an Internet search I truly believe this is some type of virus malware maybe a rootkit Trojan or something like that My OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP I do not have the Windows XP CD as this is a Sony Vaio computer and they only give you the package application CDs with the PC Can somebody help me I am not a computer whiz so step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated

A:Cannot delete the HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings

I just wanted to inform you that I am posting my problem on another forum. Thank you anyway.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/328333/cannot-delete-the-helpassistant-folder-in-documents-and-settings/
Relevancy 70.95%

I Need Help!
I was wondering if it is a issue to delete files in "Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp". I am really looking if it is safe to delete the "Documents and Settings\Kenny Hartwick\Local Settings\Temp" files.

Thanks!

A:Should I Delete "Documents and Settings\Username/Local Settings\Temp"

I don't know who Kenny Hartwick is, but deleting temp files is NOT a problem. Just get his permission, willya.

:)

edit: if you click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup you'll run a nice little routine that lets you select those, among other, files to remove as well as a file compactor for rarely used files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/should-i-delete-documents-and-settings-username-local-settings-temp-654035.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I am trying to open a user folder on a backup image I have.

It is an Acronis True Image backup and mounts a virtual drive you can then access.

The error I receive when trying to open the 'user' folder is:

----------------------

G:\Documents and Settings\user is not accessible.

Access Is Denied

----------------------

I have tried to turn of simple file sharing and add my the administrator to the permission but am not able to.

The Add... Button is greyed out.

If i go to the Advanced section and Owner tab.

I receive: You only have permission to view the current owner on user.

The only areas I can edit are the Auditing ones.

Any idea on how I can get access to my files short of re imaging this backup to a disk?

Thanks

Relevancy 70.52%

during startup i get a pop-up displaying message Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\give.exe.

in addition when sutting down, it says end program-sylePromotion.exe,
which then shows the program is not responding.I have to choose End Now
for pc to continue shutdown.

The pc is not connecting to the internet and is becoming very slow. Am i virus infected? have scanned with AVG 9.0 but nothing is found.

can anyone please help?

thanx

DB

A:Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\giv.exe

Hello and welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

Download the tools needed to a flash drive or other removable media, and transfer them to the infected computer, if you don't have access to internet.

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/windows-cannot-find-c-documents-and-settings-user-giv-exe-452348.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I was forced to reinstall Windows one time, but I didn't wipe out my hard drive. So now I have these files in my C:\Documents and Settings\{old user account name} that I can't seem to get rid of.
Everytime I try to delete the folder or files within the folder, an error message says, "Cannot delete {folder/file name}: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."
This seems strange because my hard drive is only 50% full and the file cannot possibly be in use because it's not affiliated with Windows anymore, since I reinstalled it.
I want to delete it because these files take up hundreds of megabytes and creates fragments in my hard drive.
Help would be appreciated.

A:Deleting old user documents and settings files.

See this KB to Take ownership of the files/folders you want to delete

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/deleting-old-user-documents-and-settings-files-105525.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Alrite ive got an emachines notebook running xp home on it We bought it from best buy and i guess they registered the computer to a valued customer and its really annoying Idk how the user name stuff works but i think a while ago not positive cuz it was like years ago when we first got the computer i changed the admin valued User few a :) and Settings? just Documents questions names? customer name to my name but the my documents folder defaulted to c documents and settings valued customer still i fixed it by making a folder on c with my name and made that folder the target location for the My Documents folder but i was just wondering if there was any way to Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :) get rid of that dumb c documents and settings valued customer folder every time i delete it it comes back and if there was any way that i Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :) could change the computer from being registered to valued customer to me thanks for the help in advance guys nbsp

A:Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :)

You'd have to make a new account. Then get on the admin account, change the new account to admin, then get on the new admin account and delete the 'valued customer.'
That should work...
Experience: so so, still learning (i like that)
-blitze

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-and-settings-user-names-just-a-few-questions.389788/
Relevancy 70.52%

I m new to XP and this forum and I m struggling with the multiple users environment The background is I got a new PC from DELL with XP pre loaded When prompted to enter names of users I listed four myself my wife and two children A day or so later I decided to alter things to three users deleting one of the children filesin user Spurious settings name and 'documents s accounts and re-naming the Spurious user name filesin 'documents and settings other as Kids Everything is fine on the log in screens - and it all works great BUT when I looked in Documents and Settings I saw the old child s account still listed and a duplicate of my wifes file but with the extension DELL So instead of seeing Kids Sheila Mike along with the all users shared etc etc I get something unexpected Kids Rachel Sheila Sheila DELL Mike It gets more confusing to me at least I ve had to do a couple of system restores problems with old device drivers for old devices and I m now seeing Kids Rachel Sheila Sheila Sheila DEL Sheila DELL Mike Something to do with the restorer I figured but if so why do all the spurious user files contain different sub folders Why are extra files generated for one user only Why is a deleted username still there I d love to get to the bottom of it cos I don t like what I don t understand Also it would make life easier when configuring each users start desktop etc options if I new which file was the real one I ve tried just deleting the weird ones but as you d imagine that just screws up their start menu and desktop etc Any ideas And whilst I m here is there any way to install a program onto a limited users account and no others whilst they are logged on and from within their environment Did I once see a pop up screen allowing me to select a different user and password or was I just wishing one would appear Appreciate any help thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/spurious-user-name-filesin-documents-and-settings.145406/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello, one of the user profiles in Windows XP Pro has disappeared. I cannot recover the files because the folder in Documents and Settings has disappeared too. I am running a virus scan now. Any help in how this could have happened?

A:User profile on XP Pro disappeared, folder in Documents and Settings gone

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-on-xp-pro-disappeared-folder-in-documents-and-settings-gone.734092/
Relevancy 69.66%

I want to move my User folder off of the C drive Besides the Administer built-in I am the sole user of the computer I have two methods one is symbolic and_or and Settings? Moving Documents Folder User links one is mirrored links recommended I was wondering what role the folder Documents and Settings has to do It seems to contain identical info as the users files what is the point Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? The questions are Do I need to move both of my User folders one in Users and the other in Documents and Settings Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? Why Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? is there a Documents and Settings folder anyway and what is it used for I am using a Vortex GB SSD for C drive does that fact impact the move of my User folder Would it be easier just to mover the whole User folder instead of just mine I am the only user of the computer Again will I have to move the Documents and Settings corresponding files Does the drive Users is moved to have to be a Primary Drive or can it be a Logical Anybody have any answers about the Users vs Docs and Settings folders Any tips on moving the users to a larger drive would be appreciated I run all of Adobe Creative Cloud software so Users is getting big Dbellas ASUS P T-v I - CPU GB RAM PNY NVIDIA Quddro GPU Vertex GB SSD - T Segate GB G-TECH RAID EXTERNAL iHAS DVD PIONEER BD-CD - ASUS Q MONITOR WINDOWS x

A:Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings?

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish.  If you are trying to move these files to another computer why not just clone the operating system with a program like Marcium Reflect.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503499/moving-user-folder-and-or-documents-and-settings/
Relevancy 69.23%

I recently bought new computers a router and networked the home It wasn t easy to changed Settings Documents User Change & name logon match Name but done I have the host computer and my children are each on wireless as clients Both children can access internet but Change Documents & Settings User Name to match changed logon name only can access printer I actually figured out the problem that s huge as Change Documents & Settings User Name to match changed logon name I m a network idiot My son s computer can t use printer is using my old computer with MY name on it I am on the new computer with MY name on it So when he tries to access the printer it doesn t know where to go I have windows xp HOME and from what I see I can t change the name on his computer the folder immediately under documents amp settings I followed instructions to copy from one folder to another ie Mine to his using a rd administrator account I could copy any account but mine Now I need help Can anyone offer any ideas Is there software that can do this I don t even mind changing the name on my present computer but it also is windows xp home I eagerly await your instructions Thank you from all of us nbsp

Relevancy 69.23%

Hi I recently repaired an XP Professional installation and now i no longer have the option to login but and windows settings start up at folder documents has no user login has to the old profile just a default profile with admin rights The profile still has its documents and settings folder with everything intact and all programs from the original profile seem to be in program files The user also does not appear in local users and groups I have even been able to move over the application data and open a program which remained authorized and had access to previous presets I also made a new profile and in the registry changed the profile image path to that of the old profiles folder I m not sure why it just seemed important to see the old desktop again which i do but all the paths for the programs or at least most of them are set to quot I quot changing the path to quot C quot worked on some programs anyway i user has no login at windows start up but has documents and settings folder digress what am i missing here am I able to regain the previous access nbsp

A:user has no login at windows start up but has documents and settings folder

If anyone could just point me in the right direction, i'll take it from there but i just dont know where to go from here.
is it a registry problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-has-no-login-at-windows-start-up-but-has-documents-and-settings-folder.1135598/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hiya,
Had probs with my PC not booting up so took it to a PC repair shop that found that the part on my hard drive that holds the boot-up info was corrupt, they istalled a new hard drive but managed to keep the old one as a 2nd hard drive as the rest of the data was good on it.
I am now trying to access my files on the old hard drive under documents and settings\user but it wont allow me to access them - how can I access the files? I did set up user accounts on this but they were not password protected...
I'm on XP...
PS I've tried info on here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421 but I dont have a 'security' tab once i click on properties....I'm no techy so advice in laymans terms please!!
Ta,
Matti

A:Solved: D:\Documents and Settings\user is not accesible. Access is denied. Help

If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.Click to expand...

Did you follow this step? When you start the computer, and before Windows boots, you need to press F8 and select Safe Mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-d-documents-and-settings-user-is-not-accesible-access-is-denied-help.747468/
Relevancy 69.23%

XP HOME SP Following a crash I put in a new hard drive reinstalled Windows re-created the User accounts Well some of that I had help with I made three User accounts and the folders appeared in Documents amp Settings no problems A few weeks later I decided to add another User account The account & Settings XP Documents User put doesn't Solved: folder in account was created successfully but its folder never appeared in Documents amp Settings That was about a month ago and it s just never shown up Solved: XP doesn't put User account folder in Documents & Settings The account itself works fine as far as I know This morning I created a second User account for this person to see if it would place a folder in Docs amp Settings It still didn t Before the crash I had all four people with four separate accounts so having four User accounts has not been a problem previously It s not a reboot issue as I ve rebooted numerous times since creating the person s first account Is there a way to force the User account folder to appear in Documents amp Settings since XP won t place it there automatically Edited to add When reinstalling HD it had to be named quot F quot not quot C quot That didn t affect creating the original three User accounts though so I don t know what to think about that Also no problem with downloading programs it always defaults to the correct location Just thought this might be important AHHH nevermind I figured it out User accounts must first be logged into before the folders appear in Documents amp Settings Apparently he just sat down at someone else s opened desktop doesn t live here and keeps no files here so he didn t care whose IE he was browsing in I guess I did not log into the new account either Anyway - First log into a User account before it shows up in Documents amp Settings nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-doesnt-put-user-account-folder-in-documents-settings.503351/
Relevancy 68.37%

Someone recently visited undesirable sites on our home computer and downloaded files. Today, my computer ran a chkdsk operation, where I realized it was fixing this unwanted files. I know which directory these files are under, however, being fairly new to computers, I am not sure exactly how to access these files and delete them. Are they under the Indexing Service, and if so, how do I delete them from there?

Thank you very much for any help!

A:How to delete orphan files?

Chkdsk usually usually fixes the errors and place damaged files in a hidden folder, in root of bootable partition.

You can open Command Prompt (right click to open as administrator) by going to Start, Programs, Accessories; then type dir /ah , it will give you list of hidden files / folders. There should be a folder named Found.000 or something similar (created by chkdsk), if so you can erase its contents by:

1. type CD foldername.here and press Enter
2. type type del *.* and press enter
3. type cd.. and press enter
4. type rd foldername.here and press enter

Once done, type exit and press enter, I hope that solves your issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-delete-orphan-files.145621/
Relevancy 68.37%

I usually try to fix these things myself but I don t even know where to begin searching on Google I was playing Mass Effect game last night and the nvidia driver crashed second time it s happened overall from this game I closed as many apps as I could then told Windows to reboot On rebooting disk check ran and decided to delete about files it might have done other things not sure When I got back into Windows all my preferences were gone and I realized that a new set of quot Documents and Settings quot files were created called quot Owner MASTRPC quot mastrpc is the name of the computer on my network and wrong Account and to Settings User Documents Solved: folder! pointing even though Windows automatically logs in as quot Owner quot as usual it points to that new folder instead of the usual quot Owner quot folder So basically all my preferences shortcuts and passwords are gone everything looks like a fresh install and there are a ton of other inconveniences Thankfully the files from my Owner account are still on my hard drive I think I need to point Windows to the correct Documents and Settings folder Owner instead of Owner MASTRPC Also a second new account ASP NET was created which I ve Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder! since deleted But now I think that might have been from Windows Update awhile back Not exactly sure what that s for THANK YOU SO MUCH nbsp

A:Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-user-account-pointing-to-wrong-documents-and-settings-folder.916231/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi:

My friends computer appears to have gotten a mean virus or spyware. Windows will not successfully start. I removed the drive and set it up as an external drive and scanned it with SuperAntiSpyWare, AVG and MalWarebytes Antimalware. All found some trojans and viruses, apparently removing them all. However, I still cannot access his profile or the administrator profile--all report access denied.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

A:Windows continually restarts/Documents & Settings user profile access denied

Hi:

I also tried booting up with an Ubuntu boot cd and I still couldn't access either the administrator or the user profile. Any ideas?

Tom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/296152/windows-continually-restartsdocuments-settings-user-profile-access-denied/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi sorry to be one of those guys whos first post is one asking for help but here I am so I appreciate any and all help and hope one day I can reciprocate the favor I also havent seen this problem described anywhere else online and thought people may find it fascinating as well When logging into the Primary user with admin privaledges account the desktop no longer has files and icons it used to have and the start menu no longer shows the User XP redirected set empty and documents account of to login settings folders Windows list of dfault or frequently opened programs some programs but not all are also Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders missing from the start menu programs section If I open my documents from the start menu it takes me to an empty folder not even my music or my pictures default folders inside I also have restricted permissions and cannot change any of the folder view options such as show hidden files Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders and folders When examing the Documents and settings folder I found a new folder called quot TEMP quot inside are the standard user account folders application data local settings documents desktop etc these folders now contained whatever I put in the my documents folder or on the desktop The actual user name being logged into still has its folder located in the documents and settings folder and still has its files and folders intact It seems that the login however now has these new TEMP folders associated with it and a scan of Malware bytes has revealed nothing more then an ask com adware toolbar but I believe the virus may have been removed prior to me having the computer in my possesion So is there a way to undo this login redirect or should I just create a new user account and move the files into it Edit more info in the event log is this is event source userenv Event ID Type Error Description Windows cannot load the user s profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system DETAIL - Access is denied Steps I have taken so far ran CHKDSK to automaticaly fix filesystem errors only minor inconsistencies were found like unused index entries Had to set static network ip information to connect to the internet certain windows folders like windows registration had no permissions for administrators or system Edit looks like I have found a solution and its possible that this profile issue was simply a coincidence but this KB article has fixed the issue by changing the profile registry key maybe someone else will find it usefull http support microsoft com kb

A:Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders

Welcome aboard Let's see, if we can recover your missing features.Download and run UnHideThen....Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.=============================================================================Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList last 10 Event Viewer logList Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result.=============================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt=============================================================================Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.IMPORTANT! If for some reason GMER refuses to run, try again.If it still fails, try to UN-check "Devices" in right pane.If still no joy, try to run it from Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/408043/windows-xp-user-account-login-redirected-to-empty-set-of-documents-and-settings-folders/
Relevancy 66.22%

Is there a facility in Vista to delete seemingly orphan restore points ? I upgraded to Vista from XP last year and I've noticed I have around 8Gb of disk space in my system volume information directory. All of the restore points in this directory are dated prior to the date of the upgrade. I've tried all of the usual mechanisms of deletion via postings out there on the internet, e.g. disabling/re-enabling restore points, using the disk clean up utility and even attempting to give myself write access to the folder (which I don't believe is possible in Vista). The files simply will not go away !

Somebody else out there must be seeing this This problem is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike.

Relevancy 65.36%

I just bought a used computer quite new though from a longtime friend who s a tech for a local shop He did a fresh install of XP Pro w SP and it s a very clean system Now it turns out that when he did the install months ago he intended to give this to his father-in-law so therefore named the folder under C Documents amp Settings to Kevin Unfortunately I didn t discover this until after installing several programs and changing preferences and now read that you cannot change or rename this folder which is created at the time of the OS installation I have read that one can copy data from one User Profile to another under Docs Need Delete to Change Settings & User or Folder so I m wondering if I can copy everything from the Kevin folder into my new one which I ve set up with Administrator privileges and then delete Kevin Initially I considered uninstalling everything that was installed today and then reinstall it all again while logged on as me yet that still won t get rid of that stupid Kevin folder Is there seriously no way out of this but to reinstall XP Pro drivers updates and all the rest That means starting over from scratch and I seriously hope that s not the case Thanks edited Need to Change or Delete User Folder under Docs & Settings to correct typo in topic title Queen-Evie

A:Need to Change or Delete User Folder under Docs & Settings

The title is supposed to read, "Need to Change OR Delete User Folder under Docs & Settings," but of course that can't be corrected, apparently. Spotted that right after posting, but can't find any way to change it...oh well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/443069/need-to-change-or-delete-user-folder-under-docs-settings/
Relevancy 65.36%

I just have a quick question. I'm using Windows XP Professional SP3 and I have an admin user profile and also a secondary user profile. A friend of mine a told me to just use the secondary profile all the time accept if you need to install something, that way it's more secure. Not sure how secure it is or if I should keep using my computer this way, but I'd kind of like to just simplify things a bit and delete the secondary profile and just only use the admin profile. Is it possible to save any settings I had on that profile and then just delete that user account?

A:Solved: Possible to delete user account and save settings?

It certainly is more secure to run in a standard user account, you can see this page in the Techguy Library of knowledge for an explanation as to why. I am in a standard account as I write this for that very reason.

However you say you don't like the situation. The answer I'd be considering would be to elevate the standard user, turning it into an admin. That will be quick and migrate everything. Admitidly it could be a little weird if say the standard account were named "standard" but that's quite a minor thing. If you then want to remove the old admin account, don't do it until the new one is safely elevated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-possible-to-delete-user-account-and-save-settings.935930/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi,

I have a user listed in C:\Documents and Settings that is not listed in "user accounts".

If if simply delete it then it comes back later.

The only thing in it is a thunderbird profile which I don't believe is active anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

A:Delete user that's in docs and settings but not in "user accounts".

Does the User Profile show up in System Properties?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/delete-user-thats-in-docs-and-settings-but-not-in-user-accounts-354027.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Does anyone know of a program that will completely uninstall programs and also get rid of fragments of programs that were leftover by previous attempts at uninstalling programs, broken links, bogus registry files, etc? Thanks in advance.

A:Uninsaller with ability to delete orphan files, leftover bits of programs, etc.

I use Norton SystemWorks. It includes CleanSweep, Which monitors installs, and will completely remove anything it monitors. It wont clean programs already installed, Just the ones installed after installing CleanSweep. SystemWorks also includes Norton Utilities, Which has WinDoctor. WinDoctor will clean your registry, fix broken links, etc... SystemWorks also comes with Norton Anti-Virus. I have used SystemWorks since 98, and wouldnt use a PC without it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/uninsaller-with-ability-to-delete-orphan-files-leftover-bits-of-programs-etc.184076/
Relevancy 64.5%

I have scanned several documents to edit and as I am a dummy, they and the messes I made of them are all in the 'My Documents' folder. When I try to delete them, I just get more copies of them. I have a folder full of hundreds of copies of files now and I don't know what to do. I can't figure it out. As my other computer is being worked on I am on this old one and it has, I think Word 97 on it. I have documents still showing when I open Word and this folder jam packed with copies. What do I do?
Help me, please! Thank you in advance.

A:Can't delete Word documents and they keep copying back to My Documents when I delete.

There are utilities that enable this, but unless it has been specifically installed it is not part of Windows.
How many buttons does the mouse have and which button are you using.
When you open My Documents - does it look like the screenshot.

If so, highlight the item with just one left click and then click on delete selected item in left pane. It is not showing on my screenshot but when you do select the item with one left click, then left pane will then include the choice Copy, Move and delete the selected item in separate lines., as well as other choices.

If you do not have this view of My Documents click the Tools tab, click folder options and on the general window click show common taks in folders and then click apply and OK.
The same procedure with delete can be obtained by clicking the File tab, top left and then clicking delete on there.

If you have a three button mouse post back and I will give you further guidance as to what may be the problem.

Make sure you are using left click on the procedure I have described, as right click on the item and then choosing delete may activate the auto move.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-delete-word-documents-and-they-keep-copying-back-to-my-documents-when-i-delete.967697/
Relevancy 63.64%

I am trying to clear files Documents-which remove? &User\My Duplicate User\Documents to in out duplicate files in Windows A scan by Duplicate Cleaner Free shows copies in multiple locations including User Documents and User My Documents Since these are both showing up in this scan I presume they are actually two files not one real file and one link - is this correct If there aren't actually two separate files I don't want to remove the real file If they are actually two separate files I would like to remove one of them and want to know which one I may have confused things by restoring files from a backup program not Windows Backup to My Documents being confused about the difference between User Documents and User My Documents in addition to the Windows quot Library quot called quot Documents quot which by the way points to Duplicate files in User\Documents &User\My Documents-which to remove? quot My Documents quot Not to mention quot Favorites quot I removed the documents link from here as it is confusing enough without it - I think that was quot Documents quot From other threads I understand that My Documents is Duplicate files in User\Documents &User\My Documents-which to remove? not an actual folder but a kind of library which points to the quot Documents quot folder If this is the case why does the scan show two documents How can I be sure what's real and what isn't Thanks

A:Duplicate files in User\Documents &User\My Documents-which to remove?

I have seen many people to brick their system because they removed duplicate files. If you don't know exactly what they are, don't touch them.

And if you want to engage in the adventure, make an image of the C partition first so that you can always backpaddle.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/314903-duplicate-files-user-documents-user-my-documents-remove.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Is there anyway I can access protected user folders on another hardrive without having to log on to that install of Win XP? I know the user names and passwords, but there's NO WAY (don't ask why) for me to log on, so I plugged it into another system as the slave.

A:Accesing user folders in "Documents & Settings"

If you're logged into the PC as "Adminsitrator" you should be able to access everything.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accesing-user-folders-in-documents-settings.155975/
Relevancy 59.34%

st off- YOU ROCK here at Bleeping Computer THANKS FOR ALL THE TIME amp HELP GIVEN Got this compaq desktop from my daughter who left pix amp music for me She said she had trouble getting to the AVG-FREE site for installing afterthe Norton which came with it but hated it finally expired But since she had a new laptop just stopped using the desktop pc at all I got it weeks ago put my HP Pavillion HDD in as slave After install un reinstall of other free antiviruses since AVG site was unavailable to me Avira then Avast neither did XP AV Remnants Pro NASTY Home On User complete system scan but did install I then updatedthrough windows and clicked some IE site BAM infected amp it was NASTY Ended up doing recovery install Been running since but not without errors amp malwares amp trojans Nothing close to that AV PRO INFECTION But like NASTY AV Pro Remnants On XP Home User toat least get it cleaned if possible THANKS XP SP Home User Wireless Card to Linksys RouterAVIRA FreeSuperAntiSpyware Free Errors in Event Viewer in days- these are the main repeating ones -The SASENUM service failed to start due to the following error The system cannot find the file specified -The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load SASDIFSV SASKUTIL -The Application Management service terminated due to the following error The specified module cannot be found And now daily I get the Explorer Error where blank is either read or written-instruction at diff quot x quot numbers referenced memory could not be

A:NASTY AV Pro Remnants On XP Home User

000-The SASENUM service failed to start due to the following error: Uninstall and redownload SAS. Use this link:http://www.superantispyware.com/It looks like you tried several AV's, did you use the proper removal tools when uninstalling the ones you don't use?Why don't you try a Mbam scanSome types of malware will disable Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it first.Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file file and rename it to mysetup.exe.Double-click on mysetup.exe to start the installation.If that did not work, then try renaming and changing the file extension. click this link if you do not see the file extensionRight-click on the mbam-setup.exe file, rename it to mysetup and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.Then double-click on mysetup.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to begin installation.If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files.Right-click on mbam.exe, rename it to myscan.exe.Double-click on myscan.exe to launch the program.If that did not work, then try renaming and change the .exe extension in the same way as noted above.Double-click on myscan.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to launch the program.If using Windows Vista, refer to How to Change a File Extension in Windows Vista.Be sure to update MBAM through the program's interface (preferable method) or manually download the definition updates and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install. Then perform a Quick Scan in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the report in your next reply.Note: MBAM uses Inno Setup instead of the Windows Installer Service to install the program. If installation fails in normal mode, try installing in safe mode. Doing this is usually not advised as MBAM is designed to be at full power when running in normal mode and loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in safe mode. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of MBAM. Therefore, after completing a scan it is recommended to uninstall MBAM, then reinstall it in normal mode and perform another Quick Scan.------------------------------------The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1alternate download link 2Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.Press the OK button to close that box and continue.If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' ... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/263589/nasty-av-pro-remnants-on-xp-home-user/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi, if anyone could help me with this, it would be great!

All of a sudden when I try to open my C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents folder, it says "access denied"

running xp home sp2.

any suggestions?

oh, I did a google for solutions and various pages often suggested I turn off simple file sharing, but the option is non existant under my file/view menu...

A:Access Denied to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

It sounds to me as though the administrator has made that directory path private. Are you the admin, and if so, are you logged into a user account with admin rights? If all else fails, reboot and log into the Administrator account and go to the control panel/users and change your preferred account status. While you're there, unlock the problem path to allow all users to view.

Good Luck!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-denied-to-c-documents-and-settings-all-users-documents-15657.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi all Are the folders in the C drive shown in the screen shot from my Win laptop safe to delete The main reason I ask is that I am surprised to see Update to folder Win remnants - Manual delete? safe them in the root of the C drive I found them quot by accident quot a few days ago I did not create those folders in that location Windows did They all appear to Manual Win Update folder remnants - safe to delete? be leftovers from failed attempts several months ago to manually install Windows Updates BEFORE the underlying issue was eventually fixed by installing KB and KB So since all critical and important patches are now installed via the regular Win Update applet and the system is fully patched and updating correctly can these apparent old leftovers be removed safely Yes I know about creating a RP backups and a system image before doing so Thanks MM P S I have fewer similar such folders on my Win desktop too I was having the same problem -- along with so many other users -- on that box too It is fixed there too So if they are safe to delete from one box I assume they ought to be safe to remove on the other

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/402132-manual-win-update-folder-remnants-safe-delete.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I am running Windows 7 on my notebook, as the owner and admin.....
I try to access this folder, and I cannot...in fact it appears as a shortcut rather than a folder...i have run antivirus, and malware, found nothing....
tried to change the security....all users has rights to it, the admin does not and cannot be changed....any ideas?

A:C:\Documents and Settings\all users\documents DENIED!!!

It looks like one of the junction points that provides some backwards compatibility and which shows when unhiding files in Control Panel>Folder Options>View. There is no Documents and Settings folder in Win7, except as a junction point.

Read more about junction points here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

In Win7 Documents is under All Users>[User Name]>Documents. Perhaps you should hide Hidden and System Files again to see only the WIn7 folders you need.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/218841-c-documents-settings-all-users-documents-denied.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Okay here s the rundown as Solved: Settings" and from User "Documents Folder Missing Folder best as I can remember it Several years ago around if I m approximating I purchased a slew of components and built my first computer from scratch Since that time I have run through four power supplies It seems as though some other component is causing these power supply failures This is not the purpose of this post however but some back story Now I am not the most technically savvy person in the world and after the second failure I took the computer to a quot professional quot While Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder I don t know Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder what he did in its entirety I did notice a change that confused me However as I had decided to be an end user from this point forward and not a techie person I didn t question it Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder The change I could access the user account quot Documents quot folder from the quot My Computer quot window but not from within the quot Documents and Settings quot folder under the root directory In other words if I were to double-click the quot My Computer quot icon I would be given the usual options of hard disk drives and CD drives as well as the quot Shared Documents quot folder and the quot Username Documents quot folder for the user logged in That would by Ahr Neely s Documents for the Ahr Neely user and as there was only every one user created on the computer it was the only documents folder that should have existed However if I were to from the quot My Computer quot window open the C drive and navigate to quot Documents and Settings quot I would only have two options to choose from quot All Users quot and quot Default User quot ghosted as a hidden folder Neither of these folders contain the content and media files that the quot Ahr Neely s Documents quot contain from the quot My Computer quot window On either of my other PCs when venturing into the quot Documents and Settings quot folder I have four folder options listed quot Administrator quot quot All Users quot quot Default User quot ghosted out as a hidden folder and quot Ahr Neely quot the only user created on the PC So it wasn t a problem having the PC set up this way as long as it was running fine However yet again the power supply has taken a dump on me and so I ve had it with this computer Its lasted me several years and I ve decided to purchase a store bought computer building my own was a fun experiment but in the end it didn t yield a cheaper better computer Now that I m moving on I have pulled the old hard drives out of that PC and stuck them in an external enclosure you know its important to keep the old data However I cannot for the life of me find any evidence that the files in the quot Ahr Neely s Documents quot folder which include the My Pictures My Music My Movies or Downloads folders anywhere on this hard drive I have performed several different searches through all folders including hidden files and folders and have come up with nothing So after that long and drawn out explanation I m wondering if anyone has any idea how to track down this elusive folder Is there a way to find it Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you Ahr Neely nbsp

Relevancy 57.62%

C:/Documents and Settings/Uses(My Username)/Local Settings/Temp/browserview-1d31630.htm

This file, and all the files with the name 'browserview-xxxxxx(number).htm are needed, mine got corrupted and I accidentally deleted them.

Can someone post these files?

A:C:/Documents and Settings/Uses(My Username)/Local Settings/Temp/browserview-1d31630.h

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-documents-and-settings-uses-my-username-local-settings-temp-browserview-1d31630-h.617172/
Relevancy 57.62%

i cant get rid of the files in C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5....NOTHING ive tried has worked....any information on how i can get rid of them would be GREAT!!

A:C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.

Hi Welcome to TSG!!

If you log on as administrator you should be able to delete everything in the C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 folder.

If you sign in as "owner" you should be able to remove everything except index.dat if you close all of your browser windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-documents-and-settings-owner-local-settings-temp-temporary-internet-files-content.567350/
Relevancy 57.19%

This has been bugging me for a while it pops up whenever I start the computer. I don't know to much about how to do things so please have some patients with me. If you can help me than I might just love you forever.

A:Error loading C:\Documents and Settings\ Network Service\ Local Settings\ Application Data\ hrcopul.dll

Have you run any scans for infections? I Googled hrcopul.dll, and everything that I found points to a infection.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/201901/error-loading-cdocuments-and-settings-network-service-local-settings-application-data-hrcopuldll/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi there,

After (actually before) some malware attacks and help from nasdaq in this thread, I got an issue in My Computer.
I can't see the "User's Documents" and "Shared Documents" under Files Stored on This Computer.
I looked into almost every solution given on the web and nothing seems to help.

- Windows is clean from malwares etc. See here.
- Tried these:
this workaround:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319825
(actually the same:)
http://tweaks.com/windows/36827/my-documents-folder-missing-in-my-computer/
TweakUI
this whole thread:
http://www.realgeek.com/forums/files-stored-on-this-computer-link-missing-in-my-computer-461762.html

Any ideas?

Thanks.

A:No "User's Documents" and "Shared Documents" under My Computer

Probably (IMO) a case of damaged files.

I would try running the sfc /scannow command.

How To Use SFC Scannow to Repair Windows System Files - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500548/no-users-documents-and-shared-documents-under-my-computer/
Relevancy 56.76%

So I have my entire hard drive backed up to an image file. I had to format and put a new hard drive in my machine. All is fine and dandy, but when I try to access my user's folder in "documents and settings" on the mounted "image" all I get is "access is denied" - anyone know how to fix this, or get around it?

A:Accessing a user's "documents and settings" when it's "protected"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-a-users-documents-and-settings-when-its-protected.397781/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all, this is my first thread here. May be a little n00bish but here goes.

Ive dealt with almost every problem Ive had with my comp but this one has me stumped. I just tried to install a program and cant because the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents folder denies me access. I have administrator rights and all that guff and it annoys me horribly the thought I dont have access everywhere on my computer. Ive been though the folder properties and attributes, and cant change much at all. I dont ever remember not having access to this folder before.

Please help...

A:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

The software I am trying to install is genuine. Bought it today. Is a game called fear. What its trying to do is create a profile folder in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents folder I believe but cant because of this access problem.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/c-documents-and-settings-all-users-documents-109625.html
Relevancy 55.9%

My girlfriend logs on with her user name Mary at the and and query Documents' 'My 'Documents Settings' XP Pro welcome screen Hers is the only user name shown In Control Panel Windows Accounts she is listed as the only user In Windows Explorer C Documents and Settings there are four folders All Users Config msi empty Default User Ex-husband s name it used to be his computer so somehow he is still around All the user data of my girlfriend is actually saved in folder four Also a At the top of the Windows Explorer tree the My Documents folder points to Ex-husband s My Documents folder b Later in the tree there is another folder called Mary s Documents which also points to Ex-husband s My Documents folder and contains the same files So my questions are 'Documents and Settings' and 'My Documents' query Can I 'Documents and Settings' and 'My Documents' query safely change folder four to my girlfriend s name Should can this be done in Windows Explorer or somewhere else Can should I delete the folder called Mary s Documents which simply reproduces the files in Ex-husband s My Documents Can I safely delete the folders All Users and Default User which do not contain my girlfriend s user data Can I safely delete the empty Config msi folder I would like to keep the My Documents folder which shows at the top of the folder tree as it is convenient for my girlfriend to find 'Documents and Settings' and 'My Documents' query I hope this makes sense Any suggestions much appreciated Swish nbsp

A:'Documents and Settings' and 'My Documents' query

1) I wouldn't, but it can probably be done...it's hard to redirect those stupid Windows links. You could create your own shortcut to "Mary's Documents", copy the contents of the ex-husband's folder to the Mary's documents, then you should be able to delete it.

2) For safety's sake I wouldn't, but you could give it a shot... (or do what I said above)

3)No, they are default folders that WIndows uses for some mysterious purposes.

4)Definitely not!

5)Go to theeldergeek.com to find a registry hack which will let you delete the My Documents folders. Then add the new shortcut above.

Remember, if you delete something you shouldn't have, you can restore it from the recycling bin!:grinthumb

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/documents-and-settings-and-my-documents-query.15523/
Relevancy 55.9%

I logged into Windows and found that all of my user settings had been changed back to default. All the files that were in My Documents had been moved to Documents and Settings in C. I moved them back to My Documents and changed my settings back to the way I had them before. While surfing the internet a few minutes later, the system became unresponsive. I restarted the computer and logged in, but now I find that My Documents has completely disappeared. I can't even find my files in Documents and Settings. I had about 35 GB of music, so I hope I didn't just lose it all. Please help!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-documents-is-gone-documents-and-settings-empty-501557.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a drive that had Vista Home Premium on it amp NTFS as the file Folder for and Security Documents Settings Settings system The drive went bad with over K bad sectors Preformed a hard drive recovery After several days I managed to remap all the bad Security Settings for Documents and Settings Folder sectors so that I could read the drive when booting from a XP boot CD or a UBCD cd Now When I view the drives directory structure I can browse most of what is listed except for the Documents amp Settings folder When I try that one I get the message quot Access Denied quot I tried getting into the properties to see if I can change the properties but the Security tab did not show up I am a lot more familiar with XP than Vista Is there an added security feature Vista has on the Documents amp Setting folder that only Vista can open it I tried using a Vista Recovery disk but it was not able to see the partition Also I am not sure if there are any tools on the disk to recover files from a drive that no longer boots windows Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Peter

A:Security Settings for Documents and Settings Folder

"Access Denied" is a proper and routine message encountered...when moving a hard drive from one system to another. Only impacts the Docs & Settings files/folders, all other files can be easily accessed.So can the Docs & Settings folders, by taking ownership of the files/folders.Taking Ownership in VistaLouis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/361339/security-settings-for-documents-and-settings-folder/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello, I was downloading something and when I thought it was finished downloading and this screen pops up.

"C:\Documents & Settings\Sherry\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\GRG7AN8J\arizup2(1).pdf"
"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.
<OK> box

I see that this is a .pdf file and i'm not sure how to open these. Can someone give me some really really easy details on how to fix or open [download] this problem.

Thanks

A:C:\Documents & Settings\Dave\Local Settings....help!

Install adobe acrobat reader

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-documents-settings-dave-local-settings-help.224123/
Relevancy 53.32%

Spyware Terminator brought this up about a week ago amp i removed it amp it has found it again Settings\Temp\41.tmp" Trojan "C:\Documents and file: Re: Settings\Allan\Local today quot Threat Files lt Trojan Tempi Re: Trojan file: "C:\Documents and Settings\Allan\Local Settings\Temp\41.tmp" gt C Documents and Settings Allan Local Settings Temp tmp quot My computer does seems like it s been running a little bit slower overall over the last few weeks especially loading some particular programs such as Outlook amp Firefox Firefox seems to be running browse loading a little slower than usual in the last few weeks but i m not sure as my ISP had been running a little bit crapily of late My HijackThis log file reads O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit O - HKLM Run AVG TRAY C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe O - HKCU Run PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager C PROGRA Ahead NEROPH data xtras mssysmgr exe O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - Global Startup GA Smart Wizard Utility lnk C Program Files NETGEAR GA Re: Trojan file: "C:\Documents and Settings\Allan\Local Settings\Temp\41.tmp" Adapter GA exe O - HKCU Software Policies Microsoft Internet Explorer Control Panel present O - Extra context menu item Crawler Search - tbr iemenu O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra button no name - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe O - Extra Tools menuitem xpsp res dll - - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe O - Extra button PartyPoker net - F FE - - e -B - B EED - C Program Files PartyGaming Net PartyPokerNet RunPF exe O - Extra Tools menuitem PartyPoker net - F FE - - e -B - B EED - C Program Files PartyGaming Net PartyPokerNet RunPF exe O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - IERESET INF START PAGE URL http www optusnet com au O - Trusted Zone msn com O - ProtocolDefaults ivt protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Intranet Zone HKLM O - ProtocolDefaults file protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Internet Zone HKLM O - ProtocolDefaults ftp protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Internet Zone HKLM O - ProtocolDefaults http protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Internet Zone HKLM O - ProtocolDefaults https protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Internet Zone HKLM O - DPF ChatSpace Full Java Client - http Java cfs cab O - DPF E A- D- EE - C-DC FA D FC MUWebControl Class - http update microsoft com microsoftupdate v V Controls en x client muweb site cab O - DPF D CDB E-AE D- CF- B - Shockwave Flash Object - http fpdownload macromedia com get shockwave cabs flash swflash cab O - HKLM System CCS Services Tcpip D -F F - D- - CEAE C D NameServer O - HKLM System CCS Services Tcpip EB ED -CEA - B -A A- D C NameServer O - Protocol linkscanner - F C- F - D -A D -FBDDE F D - C Program Files AVG AVG avgpp dll O - Protocol tbr - D FB A- - - E- ADA CFBBF - C PROGRA Crawler Toolbar ctbr dll O - AppInit DLLs avgrsstx dll O - Service Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service aawservice - Lavasoft - C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe O - Service AVG WatchDog avg wd - AVG Technologies CZ s r o - C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe O - Service Canon Camera Access Library CCALib - Canon Inc - C Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exe O - Service Google Updater Service gusvc - Google - C Program Files Google Common Google Updater GoogleUpdaterService exe O - Service InstallDriver Table Manager IDriverT - Macrovision Corporation - C Program Files Common Files InstallShield Driver Intel IDriverT... Read more

A:Re: Trojan file: "C:\Documents and Settings\Allan\Local Settings\Temp\41.tmp"

Hi, Welcome to TSG!!
Download: ResetProtocolDefaults.reg
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ResetProtocolDefaults.reg

Locate "ResetProtocolDefaults.reg"
Right-click and select: Merge (Ok the prompt)

Post your log again and this time post the entire log please.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/re-trojan-file-c-documents-and-settings-allan-local-settings-temp-41-tmp.733416/
Relevancy 52.89%

I am running contents Documents Settings Missing Documents and Folder missing + Vista Home Basic I first noticed this afternoon Documents contents missing + Settings and Documents Folder Missing that my quot Documents quot folder was empty I searched all locations Documents contents missing + Settings and Documents Folder Missing and all I found was a shortcut to one of the missing files It gave me the following error The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved so this shortcut Documents contents missing + Settings and Documents Folder Missing will no longer work properly Do you want to remove the shortcut I did a system restore to the recommended restore point On reboot some folders and files had appeared in quot Documents quot but many were still missing I tried another system restore to an earlier date but upon reboot had a message stating the restore was not successfull and no files or settings had been changed I had a look for my quot Documents and Settings quot folder but couldn t find it I chose options to show hidden files and prtected system files I turned of the sharing wizard option also I searched again for quot Documents and Settings quot and it appeared in the search window on clicking I got the error Documents and Settings refers to a location that is unavailable It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network Check that the disk is properly inserted and that you are connected to the internet or your network and then try again If it still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different location I went my computer gt C to locate the folder but all I could find was a shortcut to the folder although it wasn t showing up as a shortcut in the search facility I had another look in quot Documents quot and several shortcuts had appeared quot My Music quot quot My Videos quot quot My Pictures quot I also noticed quite a few other new files and shortcuts under User Of note quot my documents quot I tried to click on quot my documents quot and got this error mydocuments is not accessable Access is denied Same error for all other shortcuts I disabled AUC and security alerts then I used an Unlock program and managed to gain full control of the file The contents were an exact copy of the current state of the quot Documents quot folder still minus the missing files Next I ran file scavenger data recovery software and was unable to locate any of the missing files though I did spot a folder quot Documents quot which I successfully restored Once restored it showed the path to be Unknown AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows SendTo Documents It is a MyDocs Drop Targert folder with the extension mydocs I have been unable to open it as I do not know which programme I need to use I also downloaded Microsoft Automated Troubleshooter which gave me the following report File and Folder TroubleshooterPublisher details Issues found Icons randomly change to different iconsIcons randomly change to different icons Some icons in My Computer in Windows Explorer on the desktop or on the Quick Launch bar change randomly This behavior occurs if the icon cache is not updated correctly Not fixed Rebuild the icon cacheSucceeded You cannot use keyboard shortcuts to select more than one item in Windows Explorer after you install certain applications on a Windows Vista-based computerYou cannot use keyboard shortcuts to select more than one item in Windows Explorer after you install certain applications on a Windows Vista-based computer On a Windows Vista-based computer you cannot use keyboard shortcuts to select more than one item in Windows Explorer For example you cannot use the CTRL A keyboard shortcut to select all the items in a Windows Explorer window Also you cannot select multiple items in a Windows Explorer window by holding the SHIFT key or the CTRL key while you click the items This problem occurs because certain applications add a key to the registry The key prevents you from selecting multi... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-contents-missing-settings-and-documents-folder-missing.959554/
Relevancy 52.46%

I use Windows XP Pro My lovely children got to my computer this morning user's are gone My (my kids!) another settings with replaced Files/Settings and and logged in as me rather than as quot kids quot Now when I try to log in as quot me quot all My Files/Settings are gone and replaced with another user's (my kids!) settings of my settings are gone and the scene and settings look like when you log in as the quot kids quot When I try to go into explorer it tells me I have to install it Same with all My Files/Settings are gone and replaced with another user's (my kids!) settings other programs Nothing shows up as installed If I pull up my programs list it still lists my programs such as itunes word etc My Files/Settings are gone and replaced with another user's (my kids!) settings but if I try to run them they all need to be installed Logging in as quot kids quot still looks like quot kids quot though If I look for my Word documents through another user s Word I can find them under quot kids documents quot quot shortcut to me documents quot I looked at doing system restore but somewhere in the process it looks like system checkpoints have been deleted because the only system checkpoint it shows is from today and is after the change occurred I obviously can access my Word documents but it is my saved email and addresses that I am most upset about Any suggestions Would it make things worse to try restarting the computer Many many many thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-files-settings-are-gone-and-replaced-with-another-users-my-kids-settings.629554/
Relevancy 52.03%

I started configuring Vista Home Premium as an administrative user and was wondering if it was possible to transfer the configuration for that user to a different standard user account which, from what I understand, would be more secure. It should be possible to switch the administrative user account to a standard user account (haven't seen this either), but I would like the option of using a standard user account with basically the settings I have set up so far for the admin account while maintaining the admin account as is. Is there an easy way to accomplish this? Thanks.

A:Transfering Program Settings for Administrative User to Standard User

The easiest way would be to create a new account, copy the profile of the original account over to the new one, and then make the new account a limited one.

Though this is for corrupted profiles, the method is the same:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfering-program-settings-for-administrative-user-to-standard-user.733508/
Relevancy 52.03%

Upgraded from Windows to Windows some months ago Original profile did not require password to log in and was not associated with a Google email or Microsoft account that I know of I added a user a couple of days ago added a personal account of mine with my own password from my laptop because software problem said try another user and this laptop computer didn't have any other users So I added one That was a mistake After I quot added a user quot I could ONLY log on the computer with the NEW user The old one the profile all the Added original User, user profile & / disappeared settings settings the playlists everything was gone Like it never existed There was and is no option to log on as the original The computer became an extension of my laptop with zero other option I had to add a third user and give it admin capabilities just to remove my laptop profile which I didn't really want on this computer I was just adding a user to quot try another user quot with a software problem But all my original settings seem gone I can see additional users in Windows Media Player for instance but it says I need permission to access those Since it is impossible to log on as any other user except this latest and third user I can't give myself permission to access those old playlists Adding a user should come with a warning If anyone has any ideas where I can recover the old settings I'd be grateful The threads I've seen around the web and here have directed to Windows workarounds which do not work for my machine

A:Added User, original user / profile & settings disappeared

Hello and welcome to the TenForums

It might be worth finding out all the users that are associated with your PC. To do this open a command prompt (right click on the Start button) and then type in the following command wmic useraccount list full

This will display all users on your system (including hidden ones) and if you paste the results here we can determine which accounts are still present. If you want to see more details of this process look in the tutorial: User Account Details - View in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56470-added-user-original-user-profile-settings-disappeared.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I have seen multiple question and answers in forum regarding this GPO to Delete User Profiles Older than a Specified
Number of Days on System Restart not working or some hotfixes, in my environment it is working on all required systems in one OU. But in some PCs it is not deleting the parent folder and some folder under appdata.
like c:\Users\DomainUser\Appdata\local\abc\efg\
so the profile data like my documents, pictures, desktop etc are deleted but folder structure "\DomainUser\Appdata\local\abc\efg\" in efg folder is empty, which creating confusion during Audit and physical check.

Thanks, Anuj.A

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1fd23c72-f751-437c-8248-53e9921feb0f/delete-user-profiles-older-than-a-specified-number-of-days-on-system-restart-does-not-delete-parent?forum=w7itproappcompat
Relevancy 52.03%

Q When I look at the folders in C Users User-Name I can see a My Documents folder I double click on My Documents and the location now is C but is Documents? User shows My folder location Documents folder Why Users User-Name Documents why is the folder name different from the exact folder location I notice all other folders that have the word quot My quot has the same situation Q If I want to move the My Documents to another drive D I should create a new folder in D as Documents without the word quot My quot or should I create a new folder My Documents Q I intend to follow this article User Folders - Change Default Location to move My Documents folder in the article it says quot OPTION TWO Create a Why User folder shows My Documents but folder location is Documents? New Folder by right clicking or press and hold on a empty space in the main window there and click tap on New and Folder Name the new folder without spaces ex quot Music quot for My Music for the user folder that you want to move there See screenshots below NOTE The name that you type in for the new folder will be what you see as the user folder name in the Start Menu shell UsersFilesFolder location when finished with all of these steps It would be best to use the same name as the user folder to avoid confusion quot and quot OPTION TWO Navigate to the same location as in step and above then select the renamed new folder ex Music and click tap on the Select Folder button See screenshot below quot Is the second screenshot at OPTION TWO and screenshot at OPTION TWO wrong The screenshot shows My Music folder the text says Music

A:Why User folder shows My Documents but folder location is Documents?

Hello pcwin,

The user folders that have "My" in the name are not actually named with the "My".

These are symbolic links, so when you name the folder "Documents", it will automatically rename and display as "My Documents", but in reality is still "Documents".

It can be a bit confusing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/339366-why-user-folder-shows-my-documents-but-folder-location-documents.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I am trying to install a program called postgresSQL a database program that creates a user (postgres) during install. I have installed the program before, created an account and forgot the password . I am trying to re-install the program and it still see the old user and wants the password.

The program says the solution for this is to.....

control panel>admin tools>comp management>local user and groups delete "postgres". local users is not there on home premium, handled by user accounts .

or

run
net user postgres /delete This gives me error 5 access is denied

not sure where to go from here???

A:user delete on home premium. no local user or groups??

Welcome to the Forum

Sorry that you are having a problem. If there is a separate user account,
Possibly this excellent tutorial can help.
Reset User Account Password[11]=User Accounts

It will not be easy, but it should work.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/270328-user-delete-home-premium-no-local-user-groups.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have two admin accounts on my Windows 8 computer, I want to transfer everything from one of the admin accounts, to the other so I can make it my primary account.

Is there anyone who can suggest the best way to do this?

Thanks.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/35751-transfer-user-account-settings-files-another-user.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I'm creating a new user profile and I want to have the same settings as an existing user account (desktop environment, etc.). Is there an easy way to just copy these old settings from the existing user account or must they all be manually netered and configured again for the new user account?

Relevancy 51.17%

I deleted the previous user account on a laptop given to me by my friend (Joanne) and changed it to a new name (Serena). This seemed to work and when when I login it is with the new username. However there seems to be contradicting info about user accounts on my pc. The first screenshot shows my current username but the second screenshot is not showing my current usernames and all files appear to have the old username. I keep trying to delete the files associated with the old account but cannot do so. Can anyone help?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/46820-deleted-user-account-but-cannot-delete-all-user-files.html
Relevancy 50.74%

how can I change this directory so I can get ito it
I have tried the normal and it stops me every time

the reason I have a program tmpgenc that places a lic file in a sub directory
once the program stuffs up it cant be reinstalled untill this file is deleted

thanks

A:documents and settings

Quote: Originally Posted by 3doz

how can I change this directory so I can get ito it
I have tried the normal and it stops me every time

the reason I have a program tmpgenc that places a lic file in a sub directory
once the program stuffs up it cant be reinstalled untill this file is deleted

thanks

Hi 3doz and welcome
I suspect that even if you could get the lic in there it would probably not run. Its an XP app, I suspect it would have more problems than just that. My question is do you have a machine that can run a virtual machine (IE XP mode)?

That would make it easier.

Ken J+

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/43828-documents-settings.html
Relevancy 50.74%

For some unknown reason under Documents and Settings there are several subheadings containing identical or similar files. Is there a way to either eliminate or consolidate these duplicate files? Right now to access a given file I have to search through all of the subheadings, and, or all files.

A:Documents and Settings

can you be more specific?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-and-settings.225544/
Relevancy 50.74%

DOCUMENTSANDSETTINGS\ADMINSISTRATOR\APPLICATIONDATA\GENIEO\APPLICATIONUPDATER\BIN\GENIEOUPDATER Why do i get this message and i cant open the apps

A:Documents and settings

Hi and welcome to TSF first we need more info ie when do you get the above message have you tried running sfc /scannow or a repair from your install or recovery disc

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/documents-and-settings-693425.html
Relevancy 50.74%

In this folder, I currently have 4 folders:
Administrator
All Users
[email protected]@@@@
[email protected]@@@3###

How do I remove the unneccessary accounts? How do I switch between them?

A:C:\Documents and Settings

Deleting User accounts (needs Administrator log-on) is as per the link below:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../proddocs/en-us/lsm_delete_user.mspx?mfr=true
All user data associated with the account will be lost, be warned.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-documents-and-settings.533602/
Relevancy 50.74%

why when i go to my documents and settings i have myself and another two folders called. administrator&administrator followed by the pc serial number??

also i have alluser witch is normal i now but as im the only user at presant why is this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-settings.229277/
Relevancy 50.74%

Greetings.

I have a 200GB drive with a new install of XP on it. Slaved to this drive is an old 80GB which I want to get files off of.

It tells me I don't have permission to get into Documents and Settings, though. Is there any way to work around this?

Thanks!

SOLVED: Thanks for the help!

Relevancy 50.74%

On Windows 7, I can see a folder called users. It seems to be used as "user documents and settings" for previous Windows version. But can't find some folders such as "application data". By searching a lot on internet, they said there is appdata which point to "application data". but in my users folder, I can't find it.

A:Where is documents and settings?

You have to have "show hidden files" clicked in explorer and you will see it in your directory.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/54310-where-documents-settings.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I am having a real problem finding my Documents and Settings Folder for a Data Backup. I've tried view the hidden file option, Tried tutorials on this web site. I opened up all the folders when you view the hidden files option. Can someone please help me out with finding this folder. I have tried everything that I can think of, any help would be grateful. Thanks RSpanky IF this is not the right place to post this here, Could you please move it to Windows Vista post Thanks. For anyone trying to find the Folder Documents and Settings they changed it to C\ ProgramData in Vista

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/227461/documents-and-settings/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello everyone
I am trying to clean the computer and maybe recuperate some mb's.I notice in documents ans settings that I have 12 folders which I find surprising because I only have one account.I have reinstalled windows a few times before and that might be the reason.
Can I delete some of these folders?

the folders are: administrator 4.69mb
Administrator Bell 4.36mb
All users 19.0mb
All users Windows 29.8mb
Default user 333kb
Default user Windows 284 kb
favorites 122 bytes
Jean-Guy Roberge 134 mb
Jean-G-1 Bell 0 bytes
Jean-G-2 Bell 449 kb
Jean-Guy Roberge.Bell 165 mb
Jean-Guy Roberge Bell dje10d8h06
As I said I only have one account and it is :Jean-Guy Roberge computer administrator.
Thanks

Is it possible that, at some time, you have reinstalled or repaired XP over a previous on?? It seems to look like that. I believe your other diectories (Administrator Bell:All users Windows: Default user Windows: Jen-G bell: Jen-G-1 Bell: Jen-G-2 Bell: Jen-Guy Roberge Bell dje10d8h06, are all from a previous installation. This is the procedure I would follow.
1. Back up the whole lot.
2. Copy (and overwrite where needed) all the files in tmy above mentioned directories, into the remaining one - Jean_Guy Roberge. The favorites file is legit, and should remain there.
3. Delete all those I have listed.
You should now be back to the basic XP directories which are, be dafault, supposed to be there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-and-settings.523533/
Relevancy 50.74%

I've set my C:\ drive to share all. I've set the security for all logons to Allow All and yet I do not see the directory Documents and Settings. What appears to be that which used to be under same is now under Users.... Is there no longer a Docs and Settings?

Mark

A:Can't see Documents and Settings?

Quote: Originally Posted by markg2

I've set my C:\ drive to share all. I've set the security for all logons to Allow All and yet I do not see the directory Documents and Settings. What appears to be that which used to be under same is now under Users.... Is there no longer a Docs and Settings?

Mark

No Docs & Settings under windows 7!

Now, It should be set under C:\Users\Your Account\

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/94008-cant-see-documents-settings.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I recently did a clean install from xp to xp mce and before I formatted I saved my documents and setings folder to keep my settings cookies for two different users and such but when I went to the folder in mce it was totally different and doesn't list seperate folders for seperate accounts why is this. I have two users and we have different favorites folders and cookie folders how can I fix this?

Hi cotk69...

where did you back up the Documents and Settings folder to?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/documents-and-settings-136985.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello - I'm running Windows XP Pro on a Dell with 384MB, 866MHz. My problem is I have multiple user accounts created. My own account is an administrator account. When I choose Start -> All Programs what shows does not reflect what's in my c:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Start Menu\Programs. Instead it appears to be using a combination of c:\Documents and Settings\All Users and c:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.

I've also noticed that my default "explore" starting folder is c:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. This seems to be the only account affected by this.

Does anyone know how to re-point this all to c:\Documents and Settings\Mike...

Thanks

A:XP Pro Documents and Settings help

The user profile may have become corrupted, which can be deleted and Windows will automatically recreate it. To delete it depress the Windows key and click the Break key. Select the Advance tab and follow the menu options.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-pro-documents-and-settings-help.342804/
Relevancy 50.74%

This is a bit of a long story but here goes The other day my pc wouldn t boot windows XP Pro and a Settings with and help Need my Documents message on the screen said quot Could not start Windows because the following file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS SYSTEM CONFIG Need help with my Documents and Settings SYSTEM quot It also advised using the installation CD and pressing quot r quot at the first available screen to repair the problem The first thing I did was to go past the first screen that appears and offers to repair your windows installation and continue to where setup looks for any existing installs of windows and gives you the option to install windows or to select the existing install and repair it But it didn t show the existing installation of windows So I exited and started setup over and this time took the option to quot repair quot at the first instance which is right after setup says quot setup is starting windows quot I followed that advice and had to login to the windows installion that I wanted to repair this was all in DOS format So after logging into the only windows installation I navigated to the directory WINDOWS SYSTEM CONFIG and using the DIR command I saw a file named quot system quot and another file named quot system sav quot both files being identical in size So I copied quot system sav quot to quot system quot and then I tried to boot windows again and it booted but I though that something must be wrong so I went back to using the setup CD and this time after telling setup to install windows and agreeing to terms by pressing F setup DID show the existing windows installation and I oppted to repair it Now before alll this I copied the contents of quot Documents and Settings quot to another drive in case I needed it to restore later After Windows setup repaired there now existed a new Administrator account and a new quot documents and Settings quot What I want is to be able to restore the quot Documents and Settings quot that existed before Is there anything that I can do

A:Need help with my Documents and Settings

Hi .

Have you tried simple replacement of the folders by cut-and-paste?

Is your old profile still reflected in Control Panel/User Profiles?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250541/need-help-with-my-documents-and-settings/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a small network of 2 computers. Both are running Windows XP Pro. I want to access the documents and settings folder over the network so I could back up this folder onto the other computer that has the DVD burner. When I try to access that folder I get this message:"...is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network ressource. Contact the administrator...Acess is denied." I have gone through all the share procedures, I can access other folders but not this one. I even mapped a drive but still no go. Does anyone have any knowledge about this problem. Is this folder non-sharable?

Relevancy 50.74%

I have my own laptop but son and hub use the main desktop in our home. The harddrive, however, is just about full. So I've been looking around and see SO MUCH, what "I" would call junk .... but then again, I'm not sure. Compared to most of you here I"m sure I am a novice.

Anywho, I did a general search for *.gif and came up with 7,553 files !!!! Lots of these are under, for instance, Documents and Settings, default user, desktop, then TONS of files under there.

Also, to sign in on my computer there are 2 options ..... but under documents and settings, there are HP administrator, all users, default user, drag racer v3, administrator .... what are all these and are they necessary?

Sorry if these are stupid questions; am afraid to just start deleting !!

A:Documents & Settings

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

It sounds as though loads of different user accounts have been set up on your computer.

Go into Start>Control Panel>User Accounts....... and see just how many accounts are on your hard drive. You'll then need to liaise with your menfolk to see which ones can be deleted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/164340-documents-settings.html
Relevancy 50.74%

For whatever reason, I have two personalities under documents and settings. One is rln and the other is bob. Is there a way to consolidate these? ...other than a complete reload after format and fdisk? I have Win XP Pro. I will appreciate whatever advice that you can give me.

A:Documents and Settings

Copy/move everything important into one of your personalities and then delete the other one?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-and-settings.360161/
Relevancy 50.74%

Long story short I have and settings Documents moved Documents and settings my music and iTunes folder from my old XP pc onto my new vista laptop On my XP pc the music folder was in C documents and settings chris my documents music I have moved the iTunes folder Documents and settings and so all my music appears in iTunes but none Documents and settings of the songs can be found or played I E Itunes is looking in the wrong place Now i did this a while back on the Vista machine and got it to work i somehow created a quot documents and settings quot folder on the C Drive But I have since had to factory reset my laptop and now when i try to do the same this doesnt work Every time i try to it comes up with an error message saying i quot dont have permission quot Anyone had the same problem or got any tips on how to overcome this Help would be greatly apreciated Chris nbsp

Relevancy 50.74%

In Documents and Settings I have five profiles: Administrator, All Users WINDOWS, Joe Webber, LocalService NT AUTHORITY and NetworkService NT AUTHORITY. I am the only user of my PC and I am not connected to the internet (I use the local library system), so I would like to put all the relevant material into one profile and delete the rest. Is this possible and if so which one should I choose to keep?

Relevancy 50.74%

My OS is Win XP Pro installed on D drive. Win 98 on C drive. Can I move documents and Settings folder from D to C drive. Kindly advise.

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi guys This came about when my brother decided it d be a good idea to open a Word document from his heavily-infected laptop on my machine The main symptom is an invisible file I Documents and Settings Ian Ian exe running on startup that can t be terminated or deleted Spybot reports it constantly setting itself to run on startup I ve run a series of scans with troubles Docs&Settings\[user]\[user].exe ClamWin AdAware and Spybot and this is the situation after that Thanks for your time and I Docs&Settings\[user]\[user].exe troubles hope you can help Ian The HJT log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes I WINDOWS System smss exe I WINDOWS system winlogon exe I WINDOWS system services exe I WINDOWS system lsass exe I WINDOWS system svchost exe I WINDOWS System svchost exe I WINDOWS system spoolsv exe I Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe I WINDOWS system CTsvcCDA exe I Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe I Program Files CDBurnerXP NMSAccessU exe I WINDOWS system nvsvc exe I Program Files EDIMAX Common RalinkRegistryWriter exe I Program Files CyberLink Shared files RichVideo exe I WINDOWS system svchost exe I Program Files TVersity Media Server MediaServer exe I Program Files TightVNC WinVNC exe I WINDOWS System svchost exe I WINDOWS Explorer EXE I WINDOWS system CTHELPER EXE I WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE I Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe I Program Files ClamWin bin ClamTray exe I Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe I Program Files DAEMON Tools Lite daemon exe I Documents and Settings Ian Ian exe I Program Files EDIMAX Common RaUI exe I Program Files locate locate exe I Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe I Program Files Winamp winamp exe I WINDOWS Explorer EXE I Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - I PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - I PROGRA MICROS Office GRA E DLL O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - i program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - I Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - I Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - i program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run CTHelper CTHELPER EXE O - HKLM Run CTxfiHlp CTXFIHLP EXE O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE I WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE I WINDOWS system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot I Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run AdobeCS ServiceManager quot I Program Files Common Files Adobe CS ServiceManager CS ServiceManager exe quot -launchedbylogin O - HKLM Run ClamWin quot I Program Files ClamWin bin ClamTray exe quot --logon O - HKCU Run SpybotSD TeaTimer I Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe O - HKCU Run DAEMON Tools Lite quot I Program Files DAEMON Tools Lite daemon exe quot -autorun O - HKCU Run Google Update quot I Documents and Settings Ian Local Settings Application Data Google Update GoogleUpdate exe quot c O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce SetDefaultMIDI MIDIDEF EXE s Creative SoundFont Synthesizer w SB Audigy User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce tscuninstall systemroot system tscupgrd exe User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce nltide rundll advpack dll LaunchINFSectionEx nLite inf C N User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce SetDefaultMIDI MIDIDEF EXE s Creative SoundFont Synthesizer w SB Audigy User NETWORK SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce SetDefaultMIDI MIDIDEF EXE s Creative SoundFont Synthesizer w SB Audigy User SYSTEM O - HKUS DEFAULT RunOnce SetDefaultMIDI MIDIDEF EXE s Creative SoundFont Synthesizer w SB Audigy User Defau... Read more

A:Docs&Settings\[user]\[user].exe troubles

Hi, Welcome to TSG!!

Please download the OTM by OldTimer.

Save it to your desktop.
Please double-click OTM.exe to run it.
Copy all the lines in the quote box below to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose Copy):

:Files
I:\Documents and Settings\Ian\Ian.exe

Return to OTM, right click in the "Paste Instructions for Items to be Moved" window (under the yellow bar) and choose Paste.

Click the red Moveit! button.
Copy everything in the Results window (under the green bar) to the clipboard by highlighting ALL of them and pressing CTRL + C (or, after highlighting, right-click and choose copy), and paste it in your next reply.
Close OTM
Note: If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes. In this case, after the reboot, open Notepad (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Notepad), click File->Open, in the File Name box enter *.log and press the Enter key, navigate to the C:\_OTM\MovedFiles folder, and open the newest .log file present, and copy/paste the contents of that document back here in your next post.
Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here.

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediatly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/docs-settings-user-user-exe-troubles.847256/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi,

We are using roaming profiles, win xp on clients and windows 2003 on the
server.

I have a user who complains that the user's settings are not retained - when
somebody else uses their computer. For example the resolution is affected.

Is their anyway to lock down those settings so a default is used.

A:User Settings get changed when another user logons

The last I understood, hardware changes are NOT controlled by the Roaming profile. Any local hardware changes will affect ALL users.

Depends on what the DEFAULT is and if ANYONE can make hardware changes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-settings-get-changed-when-another-user-logons.753278/