Windows Support Forum

Windows XP won't boot. Black screen with no cursor after the logo screen.

Q: Windows XP won't boot. Black screen with no cursor after the logo screen.

Ok it all started when I XP cursor won't Black no Windows screen after with the screen. logo boot. ran Nod antivirus I ran it because I had some viruses on my computer that I wanted to get rid of After the scan there were some detected objects that were quarantined or deleted So then I restart my computer and after the windows xp logo there is just a black screen with no cursor And after awhile the computer will just Windows XP won't boot. Black screen with no cursor after the logo screen. restart and try booting up again I tried going into safe mode and safe mode with command prompt but I still get a black screen with no cursor The last known good configuration doesn t work either I m pretty frustrated because I did nothing wrong I am also having a feeling that nod might have quarantined some infected files that are essential for Windows Xp to boot I also do not have any windows xp disks with me because I lost them a very long time ago Is there anything I can do to fix my computer Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows XP won't boot. Black screen with no cursor after the logo screen.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows XP won't boot. Black screen with no cursor after the logo screen.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-wont-boot-black-screen-with-no-cursor-after-the-logo-screen.941897/
Relevancy 94.24%

Hello I hope someone here can help with this older computer This is an Windows XP Hp Pavilion a c machine that was showing signs of the hard drive Wont boot, cursor screen right before black windows with logo going bad due to reallocated sectors A new hard drive was purchased and using Acronis a clone of the drive was made The original drive is still booting and working ok but a little slow at times Also windows did have some malware programs on Wont boot, black screen with cursor right before windows logo the drive which were cleaned up with combo fix malware bytes and some Wont boot, black screen with cursor right before windows logo other cleaning programs before the clone The original drive still boots fine in the computer but the new drive Wont boot, black screen with cursor right before windows logo will get past the bios loading screen and sit there with the cursor You can press ctrl alt delete to reboot and you can boot to cd's such as knopix or hirens which i have done to check on things I have since downloaded the latest bios from HP and installed it using the old drive I have also ran chkdsk and selecting to repair I have also tried re-cloning the drive in case the clone might have gone bad even though no errors were reported The hang is before it starts to load windows so no f for safemode From reading other forum posts I suspect that a rootkit might be the issue however with the original drive booting fine I am not sure I would like to try to fix the problem rather then a re-install since there are a lot of important programs that would be difficult tore-install again But the more I have looked and tried that is starting to look like the only option I am not sure if help is still being provided for this old of a system but I would appreciate any help anyone can give Thank you

A:Wont boot, black screen with cursor right before windows logo

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/533518 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.DDS.com Download LinkDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control can be found HERE.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/533518/wont-boot-black-screen-with-cursor-right-before-windows-logo/
Relevancy 94.24%

Hi everyone I know it's not a blue screen and I'm sorry if it's not in the good section But I really need some help and ideas boot screen logo mouse with windows cursor on Black after I Black screen on boot after windows logo with mouse cursor posted this topic on AMD forum My computer HD I k windows is having some annoying trouble when I boot I get a blackscreen but with some light switching backlight I guess after the windows logo I have my mouse cursor and I can BLIND type my password then I hear the sound of windows starting But I still have a blackscreen I don't know if their was any driver update I was on holidays my friend using my computer and he didn't notice any changes he doesn't know if their was any auto update he didn't do any manual update Anyway I uninstalled AMD driver got my graphic card in vga mode and it boots fine I did many quot clean quot uninstalls for AMD driver by software menu in windows with the clean uninstall amd software with DDU both in safe and normal mode Nothing changes still get a black screen with mouse cursor I tried installing other driver version i got a whql one for I think same problem I tried with many drivers same problem all the time I tried installign drivers manually by device manager and with amd setup I tried custom installs and full installs My windows was up to date I tried sfc scannow no errors In the end I tried a clean WINDOWS install So I formated my ssd and re installed windows and Still the black screen when I install the newest AMD driver I read somewhere it could be a problem with ahci but in sys files i only see amdsata sys and amdxata sys i don't see otherssata drivers like amd sata xata sys so I didn't try to delete them like it was advised in some post I read Because I have ssd i can't go in IDE mode i tried anyway it showed the quot no operating system quot message I think it's a leftover of AMD driver that I can't manage to delete or even find Any ideas guys I googled and tried for more than hours out of ideas now

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/380380-black-screen-boot-after-windows-logo-mouse-cursor.html
Relevancy 91.45%

Hello Our trusty ol laptop Sony Vaio VPCCW FD refuses to load windows home premium bit original install since purchase I get stuck right after the starting windows logo at a black screen with a moveable cursor Strange thing is that I can plug the hdmi output to the TV and I can move the cursor around on the tv as well and the display off on physical button also functions normally all the same in safe mode with without networking and normal This happened when I tried to optional update the Nvidia video card won't moveable cursor boot, windows laptop starting Vaio black after logo screen with through windows update by itself Mid-install it failed and displayed a message something like reverting to previous graphics controller and then reboot now later showed up and it has not boot up since I think it s just stuck mid-boot at the graphics driver part but I don t know how to fix it without doing a clean install which is last resort System restore seems to have lost all its restore points even though i remember seeing creating restore point in the beginning of the update and the recovery partition will only do a clean install - no repair options there either I then burned the win HP x iso and tried to do a repair options from disk with no results Vaio laptop won't boot, black screen with moveable cursor after starting windows logo Thinking back to the XP days I proceeded to try a non-destructive Vaio laptop won't boot, black screen with moveable cursor after starting windows logo install on top of existing OS from the disk but it then says that the upgrade can only be started from within a functional windows and the only option is custom install which wipes everything wtf talk about taking a step backwards Running out of options got windows PE to copy drive contents to external usb but many folders kept asking for passwords so then got an Ubuntu live dvd and everything is backed up and i can type this forum post now Did lots of reading over the past few weeks and tried many things from scanning hardware and memory fixing MBRs and other command prompt things and ended up here where I see people are getting back into windows using FRST and some great help from the Guys here Ran the FRST from usb and here s the txt it generated amp Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST txt x Version - - Ran by SYSTEM on MININT-H AGV on - - Running from G Windows Home Premium X OS Language English US Internet Explorer Version Boot Mode Recovery The current controlset is ControlSet ATTENTION gt If the system is bootable FRST could be run from normal or Safe mode to create a complete log The only official download link for FRST Download link for -Bit version http www bleepingcomputer com download farbar-recovery-scan-tool dl Download link for -Bit Version http www bleepingcomputer com download farbar-recovery-scan-tool dl Download link from any site other than Bleeping Computer is unpermitted or outdated See tutorial for FRST http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool Registry Whitelisted HKLM Run RtHDVCpl - C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVCpl exe - - Realtek Semiconductor HKLM Run Skytel - C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA Skytel exe - - Realtek Semiconductor Corp HKLM Run SynTPEnh - C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe - - Synaptics Incorporated HKLM Run IAAnotif - C Program Files x Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager iaanotif exe - - Intel Corporation HKLM Run IntelliPoint - c Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint ipoint exe - - Microsoft Corporation HKLM Run MSC - c Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe - - Microsoft Corporation HKLM-x Run SmartWiHelper - C Program Files x Sony SmartWi Connection Utility SmartWiHelper exe - - Sony Electronics Corporation HKLM-x Run ISBMgr exe - C Program Files x Sony ISB Utility ISBMgr exe - - Sony Corporation HKLM-x Run GrooveMonitor - C Program Files x Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe - - Microsoft Corporation HKLM-x Run APSDaemon... Read more

A:Vaio laptop won't boot, black screen with moveable cursor after starting windows logo

Hi have you fixed this issue or still require assistance??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vaio-laptop-wont-boot-black-screen-with-moveable-cursor-after-starting-windows-logo.1122248/
Relevancy 89.59%

Hi here is my journey All was good and well until my Windows on another drive gave me an NTOSKRNL EXE error fixed now My Windows booted fine at this point but after entering my password it was stuck on quot logging in quot for quite some time I forced a reboot and then I was stuck in the quot Performing Automatic Repair quot loop I eventually got out of this only to be greeted by a quot BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO quot BSOD After replacing files from RegBack I managed to get it to boot but now I just Boot No After Screen Logo Cursor Black see a black screen with no cursor I've tried logging in and I had Chrome Remote Desktop but that didn't work either It's really not okay for Windows to just mess up randomly The NTOSKRNL error from the other drive COULDN'T have caused this problem Please help me out I hate reinstalling so much It's one of the biggest wastes of time

A:Black Screen After Boot Logo No Cursor

Did you try a reset? I think that's your 2nd best option next to reinstallation. It only takes about 15mins to get out of that mess if you have an image backup.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/41426-black-screen-after-boot-logo-no-cursor.html
Relevancy 88.66%

Hi I'm having an issue have been having for the past months - no apparent cause where following the W logo on boot it goes to an all black screen with a cursor that only appears when I move the mouse giving it the appearance of quot blinking quot It stays like this for upwards of - minutes before prompting me with a normal login screen Safe mode does the same except all the corner text that says quot safe mode quot and the cursor flash and you cursor following Black logo with boot minutes - 20+ screen can't do anything whatsoever no matter how long you wait I have no idea what is causing this but I would really like to get it resolved so that when Black screen following boot logo with cursor - 20+ minutes I have to restart for updates or if my computer crashes bsod been happening as of recent I don't have to wait almost half an hour to resume use of the computer I used to turn the computer off every day but I've taken to just locking it and turning off the monitors because of this issue I've been debating the merits of just reinstalling windows entirely updating it entirely along with all drivers and then reinstalling my programs just because of how much of a problem this has become

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/48607-black-screen-following-boot-logo-cursor-20-minutes.html
Relevancy 84.94%

Hi,

I've been running Vista for a few months now without much complaint until recently. After booting, the green loading bar is followed by the windows logo before the screen flickers several dark colors and then produces a black screen with a movable cursor. The hard drive light remains unlit after the black screen. Running in safe mode gives the same result. I do not have a repair disk and I would rather not wipe the hard drive with a factory default disk as I have important data on my hard disk.

I am running Toshiba Satellite with an Intel Core™2 Duo Processor T5550, 2 GB RAM and an ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3470 - 256 MB

I've been trying to restore my pc for a few days now with no luck. HELP!

Thanks

A:Black Screen and Cursor after windows logo

Originally Posted by revor

Hi,

I've been running Vista for a few months now without much complaint until recently. After booting, the green loading bar is followed by the windows logo before the screen flickers several dark colors and then produces a black screen with a movable cursor. The hard drive light remains unlit after the black screen. Running in safe mode gives the same result. I do not have a repair disk and I would rather not wipe the harddrive as I have important data on my hard disk.

I am running Toshiba Satellite with an Intel Core?2 Duo Processor T5550, 2 GB RAM and an ATI Mobility Radeon? HD 3470 - 256 MB

I've been trying to restore my pc for a few days now with no luck. HELP!

Thanks

I`m no Vista PRO, but the first thing i would do is:

Run Vista Startup Repair, that can be found in the tutorials.
(It is quite easy, just boot from the CD, and Repair it.)

If this doesn`t work, try to boot in safe mode and then Backup your things.
(To run in Safe Mode, i use the method, turn on wait until the vista logo comes, then turn off by the button, so next time you boot, you can choose to Safe Mode)

Backup the computer by a External Drive. ( Don`t use DVDs, its a waste)

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/178603-black-screen-cursor-after-windows-logo.html
Relevancy 84.01%

I have a problem with my dell inspiron n5110.After the windows logo, it appears just a black screen with a mouse cursor. Could someone please help me?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19981686
Relevancy 84.01%

This isn't exactly a BSOD problem but it's a Windows failure nonetheless It has progressively been getting worse for months On my ThinkPad laptop I have been getting startup failures lately past months or so out of the laptop's -year life Everything is normal up until the quot Starting Windows quot page with the Black immediately Windows cursor screen with following logo shimmering four-color logo However after this disappears and before the logon screen the computer gets stuck at the black screen with the mouse cursor but no text of any kind and no spinning blue quot thinking quot circle next to the cursor The only way to get out of this is to do a hard shutdown and reboot The startup process NEVER gets frozen after the login Black screen with cursor immediately following Windows logo screen even though there is also Black screen with cursor immediately following Windows logo a black screen with a cursor at this point and Windows works normally at all other times At the beginning it would happen once every - weeks or so always on the first boot of the day and never during a restart always when booting quot from scratch quot Furthermore after powering down Windows would boot normally on the second try or occasionally on the third try As time went on it got to the point where sometimes I could not get into Windows unless I Black screen with cursor immediately following Windows logo performed a System Restore from within Safe Mode Windows has always been able to start in Safe Mode It did not matter what restore point I chose or if any programs or updates had been installed since the restore point--just the mere fact of having System Restore run seemed to fix the problem Just booting into Safe Mode and then shutting down quot cleanly quot without running System Restore did NOT work Within the last week or so it has gotten much worse Now on nearly every startup--including restarts--I get this problem and have to run System Restore to get to the login screen outside Safe Mode Yes this means that after restoring to a certain point then browsing the web or typing documents for a few hours then shutting down I would have to restore to that same point again for it to work Today after installing a bunch of desperately needed updates it got even worse--the next time I booted the machine even System Restore failed to fix the problem because the restore process would be interrupted every time by stalling at a black screen While in Safe Mode I read on this forum about the driver verifier and ran that--this required a reboot and this time it started up fine So to summarize Windows hangs on startup between the Windows logo and the login screen and has progressively been doing this more often The only solution is to quot poke quot Windows enough by restarting in different random ways until I find a way that it works Soon I know it will become so corrupted that I won't be able to start it outside Safe Mode at all Any help would be appreciated I should mention that the battery HAS lost more than half of its capacity However this problem is NOT circumvented by removing the battery and starting up with the computer plugged in--therefore I know that the problem isn't a critically low battery I also occasionally get quot Fan Error quot messages immediately on powering up the machine--however these are much rarer than the above

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/379933-black-screen-cursor-immediately-following-windows-logo.html
Relevancy 84.01%

Hi everyone Yesterday I wanted to install OS X Mavericks on my HDD It requires a primary partition so I decided to delete the MB system reserved partition that Windows automatically creates when you first install it I read this guide which explains how to transfer all the boot files from the system reserved partition to the partition where Windows is installed I followed all the steps with Black 8.1 screen cursor logo past Windows except for the last one When it says to do a Code reagentc enable I skipped it because when it first says to do Code reagentc disable the output of the program was quot reagentc was not enabled quot so why enable it if it was already disabled Later I will understand that maybe this was the source of all Black screen with cursor past Windows 8.1 logo future problems Then I rebooted and tried to delete that system partition from within Windows but of course it prevented me from doing that I booted gparted live and went on and deleted the partiton Now Windows would not boot and I did not have Windows disc to make a system repair So I put Windows disc and it managed to put boot files back it did not detect any windows installation but still managed to make Windows boot I forgot to say that I have another primary partition other than windows and it's a boot partition where GRUB is installed So I booted in linux and reconfigured GRUB to make it boot my Windows partition dev sda instead of the just deleted one dev sda I rebooted and Windows started fine Then I launched the Utility for creating and editing partitions because I wanted to reduce the main Windows partition and make space for Mavericks At this point Windows told me that the drive had problems and I had to do a chkdsk before resizing the partition I rebooted chkdsk finished and I got a Black Screen Of Death which told me that there were some problems with the partition but I could still press enter and go on Here I had a one-element list like the one you get when you press F at boot time The only entry was quot Windows Pro Recovered quot I pressed enter I went on and boot logo appeared Then it gets stuck on a black screen with the cursor and keyboard working actually I can move the pointer and put my laptop in standby and so on But no way Windows actually boots I can say I have tried everything I have now a Windows USB install and I tried fixmbr bootsect nt c bcdedit and so on but they failed Automatic repair fails as well and C Windows System Logfiles Srt Srttrail txt says that there are no errors Refresh does not work I run a Code chkdsk c r f but it says there are no bad clusters and it ends with quot failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status quot Anyway I can see all my files from the elevated command prompt I get with the USB with Windows on it so at least my files are safe I know I wrote a lot and my english is terrible but please do you have any suggestion Thank you EDIT SOLVED I formatted

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/47669-black-screen-cursor-past-windows-8-1-logo.html
Relevancy 84.01%

I have my OS installed on my SSD. Sometimes when i power on my computer, after it shows the windows logo screen there will be a black screen with cursor for like 15-20 seconds before logon screen comes on. This doesnt always happen, i find it doing this most of the time if i had the pc off over night and power it on in the morning.

A:few seconds black screen with cursor after windows logo

It's not abnormal to have a black screen before the login screen. 15 to 20 seconds is a little long if you're using an SSD, but during that time Windows is loading drivers and all of the stuff in your system tray.

Have you got a lot of programs in your system tray? Or set to load at bootup? Try using msconfig and setting all of the startup programs to off, except your anti-virus and see if that speeds things up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/368233-few-seconds-black-screen-cursor-after-windows-logo.html
Relevancy 83.08%

Hi guys Just recently when I was playing a game the display on my laptop suddenly black out and there were some lines I manually power it down by holding the power button When I on it again the cursors and the images were haywire Subsequently whenever I on my laptop I will see the windows logo and after that the desktop never loads I only see a black screen with my cursor At the moment the only way for me to bootup normally into Windows is to disable my AMD Radeon HD M adapter and use after problems logo, Black with cursor windows GPU driver screen the standard VGA adapter I tried many things but I am still unable to fix Black screen with cursor after windows logo, GPU driver problems the problem I still cannot use my AMD Radeon graphics adapter I took the following steps I perform chkdsk f I installed the latest AMD display drivers from their website I updated the drivers from device manager drivers I did a startup repair but no problems was found I used windows memtest but no errors were discovered I formatted my windows partition reinstall windows and reinstalled all the drivers from my PC Samsung manufacturer software and drivers disc I used windows update and update everything I tried the fix it registry as per microsoft website I press F Black screen with cursor after windows logo, GPU driver problems and used last known good configuration settings Is my graphic card faulty Thanks

A:Black screen with cursor after windows logo, GPU driver problems

Boot into Safe Mode with networking to see if the problem persists there.

Safe Mode uses a limited number of drivers and applications.  One of the driver is a graphics driver.  If Windows boots to the desktop it most likely is the graphics driver.

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/544959/black-screen-with-cursor-after-windows-logo-gpu-driver-problems/
Relevancy 81.53%

Recently, when I start my computer, the Asrock splash screen appears, followed by the pulsating windows logo. Once this is done, it moves on to a black screen with only the cursor visible. The cursor is movable but no key commands seem to do anything. Eventually the desktop appears but it can take up to two minutes and seems to be getting longer every time. I was also looking at my event log and found this entry: "The Religious Religion service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified." I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject but "The Religious Religion service" sounds a lot like a virus. I'm not sure if these two things are connected, and an AV scan has turned up negative. Thanks for any help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/386626-black-screen-cursor-after-windows-logo-takes-time-fully-start.html
Relevancy 111.37%

I m having a problem with my Dell Dimension running Windows XP I have an g Maxtor HD as my main drive and a g WD secondary drive When I attempt to boot I get a blue screen with the message A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is he first time you ve seen this Stop error screen restart your computer If this screen appears again Screen Can't Black Blue (Standard Screen w/cursor Mode), boot then XP Windows Safe or follow these steps Check to be sure you have adequate disk space If a driver is identified in the Stop message disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates Try changing video adapters Check with your Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen hardware vendorm for any BIOS updates Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components restart your computer press F to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen Safe Mode Technical Information STOP x E xC xF BB B xF E AO xF E AO FLTMGR SYS - Address F BB B base at F A DateStamp daAs far as the info in the message I see this screen with the same info everytime I rebooted As far as disk space my main drive is g aand I have about g of free space I m not sure if anything in the message refers to drivers Not sure how to change video adapters when I can t get into Windows Standard Mode or Safe Mode Also not sure how to deal with any of the BIOS suggestions or even know if it s a good idea to mess with it Again I cannot even boot to Safe Mode It takes me to the same Blue Screen message I have been able to boot from the CD I get to the Windows Setup screen it loads files It then says it s Starting Windows then takes me to the Windows XP Home Edition Setup It gives me the choices To set up Window XP now press Enter To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console press R To quit Setup without installing Windows XP press F I pressed R and in the Recovery Console it shows C WINDOWSI press as this is the only Windows installation I have It then takes me to the Command Prompt C WINDOWS gt I have run CHKDSK and got this message The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked Use p if you want to check the volume anyway kb total disk space kb are available bytes in each allocation unit total allocation units on disk allocation units available on disk I have also run CHKDSK r and it found and fixed one or more errors After I exited and tried to reboot from the HD and got the same BSOD with same message I don t know if this is a virus or hardware software problem I do have Malwarebytes Anti-Virus and Norton on the PC but without Windows XP I m not sure how to run them I have also booted from Hirems Boot CD and have run all the hardware tests checked HDs memory video etc I could and have found no problems Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance Dave

A:Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen

mod bump

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/385215/cant-boot-windows-xp-standard-or-safe-mode-black-screen-wcursor-then-blue-screen/
Relevancy 107.07%

I have a problem booting Windows 7, after I press power button, it gets to the first (OEM) screen, then after it just goes black and stays like that forever. If I press ctrl+alt+del while it's black, it just restarts and same thing happens again. I tried booting from Windows 7 DVD, and using system recovery/repair but it doesnt help. I also made a new boot record using bcdedit commands in recovery console but it still won't work. What can I do?

A:Can't boot Windows 7, black screen before logo

hi
you using physical maching , or try this OS as vm ?
i beleive this case caused by improper graphic Card .

did your machine face microsft prerequirties or recommended specifications .

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353271.aspx
Regards
Youda Martziano

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-boot-windows-7-black-screen-before-logo.836275/
Relevancy 107.07%

Hello,

I recently installed drivers for my tascam us-144 on laptop running Windows 8.1. It worked for a while but sometimes the screen freezes and I have to do a hard reset. It would boot back on, but it would still randomly freeze and I would have to do another hard reset.

Just last night, when it froze again, I did another hard reset but now it just shows a black screen after the boot logo. I think it was the tascam drivers that messed it up, but when I try to go into safe mode to remove it, it still does the same thing.

Any help?
(Sorry if I posted in the wrong board.)

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/41936-i-get-black-screen-after-boot-logo-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 107.07%

hey guys i have a problem that i cant seem to solve Im not very good with computers Last night i was doing a repair install of windows xp and i accidentally shut the computer down while it was doing the second half of the repair Yeah stupid i know but i just want to know how to make it work again After that it when i'd reboot it would show the xp logo and then no login screen just black with a white movable cursor Ive tried doing the cd repair again with the same results there is NO safe mode and NO taskmanager just black screens forever I tried fixboot and fixmbr i tried to restore to an earlier date through the repair console I tried every suggestion ive come across mostly from this site and even tried to after screen logo cursor with winxp white black load ubuntu to find my stuff which didnt show up All my things couldnt havebeen deleted that fast right Am i going to have to take my hd out and hook it up to a working computer to rescue my files Thank you in advance

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518072/black-screen-with-white-cursor-after-winxp-logo/
Relevancy 106.21%

When booting, my windows 8.1 is slow to do load. After windows logo, it goes to a black screen for around 10 secs, then it finally logs into the Start menu. I know this is not normal becasue I have seen the system boot faster in the past, but I don't know why its doing it now.

I have done a fresh install of windows 8 and update to 8.1.
I made to to have Fast Boot enabled
I have haswell, so I made to update to the latest graphics drivers by Intel
On a second note: I am triple booting: osx/linux/win with Chamelon boot loader. However, I doubt its an issue with triple boot because the black screen occurs AFTER windows logo, meaning windows has successfully loaded

A:Slow Boot Black Screen After Windows Logo

Hello Tcabin01,

Does your computer bios currently load in EUFI mode?

if so have you tried running in legacy? how to:

BIOS Mode - See if Windows Boot in UEFI or Legacy Mode

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Harry

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/43396-slow-boot-black-screen-after-windows-logo.html
Relevancy 106.21%

Since I moved my pc to a LAN-party it takes dozens of time to get the computer starting without a boot loop.

When it starts my pc screen goes on standby after the windows loading screen while Safe-mode works perfect.

Could it be hardware related? because I might have been staticly charged at the LAN-party since I felt electricity everytime I touched the metal of the case.

EDIT

my thoughts: 2 problems.
1. Bad power connection leading to boot loops (the orange light next to the power light doesn't work with boot loops)
2. Videocard issue leading to black screens and BSOD (atihmpag.sys) --> reinstalled the video card and it seems to work for now.

A:Boot loop and black screen after windows logo

If it can load into Safe Mode usually this means a driver issue.

Second, you should in no way be feeling anything electric through your case! Is the motherboard touching the case at all? Check the back. The standoffs should prevent this. Is somthing touching the motherboard?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-loop-and-black-screen-after-windows-logo.147753/
Relevancy 106.21%

Since I moved my pc to a LAN-party it takes dozens of time to get the computer starting without a boot loop.

When it starts my pc screen goes on standby after the windows loading screen while Safe-mode works perfect.

Could it be hardware related? because I might have been staticly charged at the LAN-party since I felt electricity everytime I touched the metal of the case.

A:Boot loop and black screen after windows logo

It could be hardware related, so we can run some tests. I'm wondering why safe mode works fine.

First off, are you really using XP, or are you using Vista/7?

The first thing I would do is open up the case and check your connections. Pull out the RAM and seat it firmly, make sure the hard drive power and SATA cables are in tight.

Any cable you see, make sure it's in securely.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/boot-loop-and-black-screen-after-windows-logo-486202.html
Relevancy 104.92%

Hopefully someone can help me please Here is the detail I think it started after I download Mp tag freeware from cnet - First my computer restarted without any notice - Win7 virus? screen, MBR no windows black logo, boot, Won?t Firefox closed on me a few times - The computer would slow down from time to time - I didn t think anything was wrong and I shut the laptop down but it was stuck on the blue windows background screen with the words shutting down and the loading cursor donut After about min on this screen I help the power Win7 Won?t boot, black screen, no windows logo, MBR virus? button down and forced it to shut down - The next day I log in and Firefox was going slow and I got a little action center pop-up from windows you computer is infected when I tried to Win7 Won?t boot, black screen, no windows logo, MBR virus? click on the bubble the computer crushed with the blue screen Win7 Won?t boot, black screen, no windows logo, MBR virus? dumping physical memory - I log in again and I run rkill and I got a something like svchost exe I saved the notpad and tired to run malwarebites and I got the blue screen aging with dumping physical memory - It restarted and it ask me if I wanted to log into safe mode I got in and I was able run malwarebites it started scanning and half way through I had to stop and shut the laptop down - I tried to restart aging and now I get the acer logo with press F and press F than it goes to a black screen with the blinking underscore on the top left corner - F works and I can pick the boot order F works and I can get in and see the bule screen with the boot HDD info and everything - Other than F and F I can t do anything F or F don t work everything I try and I end up back at the black screen Please help me I have my wedding pictures music and other things I need on it I don t have a win cd and or restore cd My laptop is an Acer Aspire with windows bit it s about year old so I can t even contact Acer for support Please help If you need any other information please let me know Thank you in advance for your help

A:Win7 Wont boot, black screen, no windows logo, MBR virus?

Ive reported to people who deal with this type of thing.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/437153/win7-wont-boot-black-screen-no-windows-logo-mbr-virus/
Relevancy 104.92%

This is my first time posting here Please forgive my ignorance as I'm super with cursor logo Black after upper Dell flashing in corner screen not tech-savvy at all I'm going to try to explain what's going on as best as I can to see if anyone can throw me a bone here I have a Dell Inspiron about years old and it's worked just fine up until yesterday I plugged my Canon camera into the front USB port to Black screen with flashing cursor in upper corner after Dell logo grab some photos off of it when my computer froze I had Black screen with flashing cursor in upper corner after Dell logo to hold down the power button to get it to shut off I restarted and found that after the Dell logo comes up the screen goes black except for a white cursor that flashes in the upper right hand corner This has been going on since last night The only two options it gives me appear during the Dell logo screen when I can hit either F for the boot menu or F for startup menu Once the screen goes black and I see that cursor key punching does nothing I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning but at one point I somehow Black screen with flashing cursor in upper corner after Dell logo found myself at a memory diagnostics menu and it ran and found no errors but then froze at I have no idea how I was able to do that and I can't find it again Sorry if I left out any info Anyone have an idea on what I can do to start troubleshooting

A:Black screen with flashing cursor in upper corner after Dell logo

Have you tried unplugging everything from the computer except for mouse and keyboard?

You may attempt a Startup Repair

Are you able to boot into safe mode? Safe Mode

If you have another computer, you can burn Memtest to a disk and run memory diagnostics.
RAM - Test with Memtest86+

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/154393-black-screen-flashing-cursor-upper-corner-after-dell-logo.html
Relevancy 104.06%

Running Windows 7 Ultimate
Yesterday my iolo System Mechanic software said it had quarantined a file, a I ran a scan using it's SystemShield and it found nothing. I ended up turning off my system and now no boot. I'm sure this is virus/malware related, I'm just too much of an ameture to get it fixed alone.
I have tired booting in safe mode and I get the same result, black screen, and a moblie cursor. I do have my Windows 7 disk, so I could get to a command promt I just don't know what commands are needed to be typed.
Any help is awesome. Thank you.

A:Windows 7, black screen with cursor after boot

Flashing cursor is an indication you lost your boot loader

.http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553681/windows-7-black-screen-with-cursor-after-boot/
Relevancy 104.06%

I have a friend's machine that she has asked me to try and fix to with black Windows 7, boot cursor screen a it is Windows 7, boot to a black screen with cursor an Acer Z all in one touch screen She told me that when the machine was turned on immediately before the problem it was scrolling a message about replacing invalid security ID with default that may not have been the whole message unfortunately she didn't write it down The machine now boots through the bios screen and past the windows loading screen with the pulsating logo the screen then goes black with a white pointer and that's all the same thing happens in safe mode I have booted to my Windows Recovery disc the memory scans OK but the boot repair fails very quickly and system repair fails on all of the available restore points quoting a failure of some memory location Other than removing the HDD using another machine to get her data off she has made no backups despite my advice and then re-installing windows I can't think of my next step Can anyone offer me some help please Graham

A:Windows 7, boot to a black screen with cursor

Welcome to BleepingComputer, I have reported your topic as unbootable so a member of the team who deals with these problems can help you. Please be patient.

xXToffeeXx~

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504461/windows-7-boot-to-a-black-screen-with-cursor/
Relevancy 104.06%

Hi there I really need help My laptop has been acting really weird the last couple of weeks It would crash randomly and sometimes when I picked it up to put it somewhere else it crashed too Now I thought this up, boot Windows cursor screen 8 with black won't was a problem with Windows because it didn't behave like this before with normal Windows Windows 8 won't boot up, black screen with cursor So I Refreshed my laptop and after that it worked again without crashing I left it in sleep mode while I got some sleep too and when I booted it up this morning it crashed again After that the whole laptop wouldn't boot up and now the only thing that shows is a cursor on a black screen and it seems to be stuck in sleep mode because I can't even turn it off completely manually So I can't access the BIOS or make it boot up in Safe Mode What the hell should I do Specs Toshiba Sattelite L -A- U Windows -bit Intel i th generation processor with Intel HD graphics card nVidia GeForce GT M graphics card x GB DDR L RAM

A:Windows 8 won't boot up, black screen with cursor

Remove battery and it will power off. Insert battery and power on. Acess bios now.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/51281-windows-8-wont-boot-up-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 104.06%

I cannot boot to windows When I turn my computer on I get a single post beep Then I get a black screen with a white courser on the top left screen I have tried many things to troubleshoot this problem I have removed all usb devices I have removed each device inside the computer cursor to black boot screen windows with Can't such as dvd and blu ray player I have re seated the RAM and reset the cmos battery I have used different sata cables to drives I have also tried to boot to cdrom and try to recover windows using the windows cd After trying all this it Can't boot to windows black screen with cursor still results in a black screen with a white courser I am running a Gigabyte xa-ud mobo AMD FX core processor x gb corsair vengeance MHz RAM Evga N GTX video card lg blu ray player Unfortunately I do not have many replacement parts to see if the hardware is the problem I did try my old video card and that did nothing Any advice would be helpful Thanks nbsp

A:Can't boot to windows black screen with cursor

When you tried to boot to cdrom what disk was in the drive, are you sure it is bootable, and are you sure that the computer really tried to boot to it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-boot-to-windows-black-screen-with-cursor.1133657/
Relevancy 104.06%

I was having problems with my charger for a couple of weeks I bought some cheap online charger that provided my computer with the -- not Will Black with Windows Boot Screen Cursor 7 OS wrong wattage Eventually my battery became OS Will not Boot -- Black Screen with Cursor Windows 7 ruined due to this but I bought a new one However my computer kept shutting off due OS Will not Boot -- Black Screen with Cursor Windows 7 to the lack of power So it would completely shut off This may have done some hard drive damage I suspect since I cannot boot into OS anymore I have tried another OS Will not Boot -- Black Screen with Cursor Windows 7 HDD and it seemed to work I'm trying to resolve the problem with my hard drive though I plugged it into my other computer via usb and it seems fine I am able to grab any files I need from it NOW as for my laptop the PC turns on like normal I get the bios screen I get the Windows logo screen Then I get a black screen with a mouse cursor in the middle I can move the mouse but the buttons don't do anything--left or right click No keys on the keyboard change the screen Ctrl Alt Del does nothing Windows key does nothing Esc does nothing etc At this point the only option is to hold down the power button and turn it off What I've tried I tried to start it in safe mode but the same thing happens It shows the system files that are loading The last file it shows loading is Windows system DRIVERS amdkmpfd sys then it goes to a black screen with a mouse cursor again only this time it is in safe mode resolution so the mouse cursor is larger and not as sharp Also no keyboard strokes have any affect just as with normal mode It is a Dell Inspiron so it came with an onboard repair utility I used the Startup Repair tool but it found no problems The diagnostics tools found no issues with the hard drive or any of the other major system components It passes all other tests the onboard diagnostic utility has including memory tests fan tests hard drive tests etc I have not however tried a full system restore yet From what I've read in several forums many have tried this in similar situations and still had the same problem Since there are several files I'd rather not lose I wanted to explore all other avenues Sorry if this is a repeat question in the forum Most of the other situations seemed similar but there was always something they could do that I could not like press Ctrl Alt Del or boot into safe mode or whatever Here is as much of the system info that I can gather without having the PC on not mine I'm doing this for a friend -Dell Inspiron -OS Windows Home I hope I've been thorough enough to allow you to help me without wasting any of your time and I thank you in advance

A:OS Will not Boot -- Black Screen with Cursor Windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by DomMartinelli

I was having problems with my charger for a couple of weeks. I bought some cheap online charger that provided my computer with the wrong wattage. Eventually my battery became ruined due to this, but I bought a new one. However, my computer kept shutting off due to the lack of power. So it would completely shut off. This may have done some hard drive damage I suspect, since I cannot boot into OS anymore. I have tried another HDD and it seemed to work.

I'm trying to resolve the problem with my hard drive though. I plugged it into my other computer via usb and it seems fine. I am able to grab any files I need from it. NOW as for my laptop, the PC turns on like normal. I get the bios screen. I get the Windows logo screen. Then I get a black screen with a mouse cursor in the middle.
I can move the mouse, but the buttons don't do anything--left or right click. No keys on the keyboard change the screen. Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing. Windows key does nothing. Esc does nothing, etc. At this point the only option is to hold down the power button and turn it off.
What I've tried:
I tried to start it in safe mode, but the same thing happens. It shows the system files that are loading. The last file it shows loading is Windows/system32/DRIVERS/amdkmpfd.sys then it goes to a black screen with a mouse cursor again; only this time it is in safe mode resolution so the mouse cursor is larger and not as sharp. Also, no keyboard strokes have any affect just as with normal mode.
It is a Dell Inspiron, so it came with an onboard repair utility. I used the Startup Repair tool, but it found no problems. The diagnostics tools found no issues with the hard drive or any of the other major system components.

It passes all other tests the onboard diagnostic utility has including, memory tests, fan tests, hard drive tests, etc.
I have not, however, tried a full system restore yet. From what I've read in several forums, many have tried this in similar situations and still had the same problem. Since there are several files I'd rather not lose, I wanted to explore all other avenues.

Sorry if this is a repeat question in the forum. Most of the other situations seemed similar, but there was always something they could do that I could not, like press Ctrl+Alt+Del or boot into safe mode or whatever.
Here is as much of the system info that I can gather without having the PC on (not mine, I'm doing this for a friend):
-Dell Inspiron ( 7520)

I hope I've been thorough enough to allow you to help me without wasting any of your time, and I thank you in advance

Hi DomMartinelli,

Welcome to Seven forums.

First of all run a diagnostic on the harddrive to ensure that it is not gone corrupt. Check this video for performing the same:

http://dell.to/18xQpRy

And, check this tutorial which outlines all the possible steps for recovering your operating system and avoiding data loss until and unless necessary:

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

If you have made a system backup image using dell datasafe then you can put the system to factory settings as a last resort:

http://dell.to/19boJUM

Keep us posted with the results so we can advise you further.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/305697-os-will-not-boot-black-screen-cursor-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 104.06%

So here's my story I have a Toshiba Satellite with cursor 7 up boot on black screen Windows L -ES laptop running a bit Windows Windows 7 black screen with cursor on boot up My laptop restarted with the usual Windows updates as it went through the steps and percentages to update and I logged back in Also as it seems to happen often the flag at the bottom right of my desktop alerted me that I still had some updates that I needed to install after installing the previous ones I went through the control panel System and Security and started to download the extra updates through Windows Update The updates installed the laptop restarted and my log in screen came up and everything seemed normal I wanted to take a nap so I put my laptop on hibernate from the log in screen When I woke up however and pressed the power button to wake it back up the Toshiba boot up screen showed up but after that there was only a black screen with the blinking cursor in the top left corner which has prevented me from getting to the log in screen and completely boot up my computer I have put my hard drive in another Toshiba laptop of my family's and it does the same thing so I know this is an issue with my hard drive I'm not sure what the updates did but it seems to have done something to the files that prevent me from booting up I do not have my Windows CDs that came with the computer since my mother moved and I don't know what she did with my things since I am currently in college I have tried Ctrl Alt Delete but all that does is restart the boot up screen and the black screen of death I have continually pressed F to bring up Safe Mode options but nothing happens Here is some of the data I can get by pressing F before the black screen disables me from doing anything further with my computer Toshiba Disk Drive ML GSX S HDD H gb CPU Type Pentium R Dual-Core CPU T GHz Optical Disk Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAMGT F S Total Memory MB System BIOS Version Please help Again I can't access a single thing when I turn on my laptop except for the BIOS setups and boot screen F and F before the black screen with the blinking cursor shows up I do NOT want to delete anything from my hard drive if I can help it I for one don't understand why after installing the updates it restarted and took me to the log in screen but after hibernating it decided to not boot up and shows the black screen Just tell me if you need more information

A:Windows 7 black screen with cursor on boot up

When this happens, it could mean that one of your updates was installing and became corrupted, our was incompatible to begin with. When your computer its booting up, you should try to access the boot menu to see if the option to boot from last successful configuration is available. If not, can you enter the system recovery menu (F9), and try to recover the computer by resetting it to an earlier configuration? Do you have the install cd for windows?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/176018-windows-7-black-screen-cursor-boot-up.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Hello I am goes after logo laptop during Acer black windows 7520 screen boot working on an Acer laptop that boots Acer 7520 laptop screen goes black after windows logo during boot normally except for the screen going blank after the windows loading logo in Windows It does the same when booting to a Windows install disc It gets past the initial screen when copying files and then goes blank When connected to a second monitor the monitor shows quot video out of range quot I tried booting to safe mode and vga mode with no luck on both monitors The system loads into windows desktop as I can hear the sounds and I can power down using the start menu blindly The display works fine in the system BIOS and during the initial boot from disc or hard drive I am thinking the internal video card is bad but want to explore other options before giving up So far I have Tested all hardware Cloned a drive from another machine with a good OS Tried both the original Windows Vista OS and a new copy of Windows from both CD and hard drive Booted to VGA mode and safe mode Reset BIOS to defaults Please help me get this stubborn laptop to boot normally nbsp

Relevancy 103.63%

Hello I am working on an Acer laptop that boots screen boot Aspire logo Acer goes 7520 windows black during after normally except for the screen going blank after the windows loading logo in Windows It does the same when booting to a Windows install disc It gets past the initial screen Acer Aspire 7520 screen goes black after windows logo during boot when copying files and then goes blank When connected to a second monitor the monitor shows quot video out of range quot I tried booting to safe mode and vga mode with no luck on both monitors The system loads into windows desktop as I can hear the Windows sounds and I can power down using the start menu blindly The display works fine in the system BIOS and during the initial boot from disc or hard drive I am thinking the internal video card is bad but want to explore other options before giving up So far I have Tested all hardware Reset BIOS to defaults Booted to VGA mode and safe mode Tried Last Known Good Configuration Cloned a drive from another machine with a good OS Tried both the original Windows Vista OS and a new copy of Windows from both CD and hard drive Please help me get this stubborn laptop to output video normally

A:Acer Aspire 7520 screen goes black after windows logo during boot

Hi it sounds like the driver might not be loading or the graphics is failing

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/acer-aspire-7520-screen-goes-black-after-windows-logo-during-boot-685827.html
Relevancy 103.63%

Hi i m axl and i m quite desperate about the actual situation of my only windows installation i hope that someone here can help understand the problem because i ve been working hours trying almost every with lower Ultimate black 7 Windows Boot logo with screen freeze single fix with every single combination i could find on internet pc specs notebook hp pavillion dv entertainment no battery using o s specs windows ultimate edition x last operating scenario i was happily Boot freeze with black screen with lower Windows 7 Ultimate logo using windows everything worked perfectly my utorrent open and watching a film in streaming then i had the brilliant idea to try to install this shit software Windows Theme Installer Install Apply Delete Themes Easily - door windows to try change windows appereance i run it and it showed up some errors so i quit it before it would complete the installation closed utorrent and rebooted boom i got this shit screen without the possibility to do ANYTHING i can t open the task manager i can t send the computer in sleep mode the only buttons showing are the red one for shutdown and the handicap s one the only thing that s moving is the mouse pointer over the black screen and logo if someone could maybe know what files that shit theme installer changes i could try to reset them but i-ve also tried this a little searching in the registry for it s name shell and exploer exe seem to be working i tried everything from the windows repair and F mode i tried kaspersky recue disk i tried ubuntu linux things there s no error with the boot or the mbr windows boots normally and it just get stuck before the login loading module guaranteed there s no viruses or trojans as i run a scan with many antiviruses and antimalwares not so long ago i removed the theme pack i was trying to install but didn t help here is attached the ntbtlog

A:Boot freeze with black screen with lower Windows 7 Ultimate logo

i restored files and dll components that the shit-installer should have modified, except for this TwinUI.dll that i can`t find anymore in my windows system folder. i don`t know what that one is but windows is still stuck there exactly like before.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/346147-boot-freeze-black-screen-lower-windows-7-ultimate-logo.html
Relevancy 102.77%

my PSU went out and i had it replaced and since i replaced it i havent been able to boot my pc i plug everything in and hit the power button it load blinking no on boot, cursor Black screen... screen immediately immediately goes to a Black screen blinking cursor immediately on boot, no load screen... black screen with a blinking underscore cursor in the upper left corner about of the way from the left side all my fans work the hard drive is running Vista bit AMD Phenom x e GHz ATI Radeon x Pro Gb RAM Power supply was from another pc i had that i didnt use anymore same wattage just had the pin PCIe connector i needed the one currently in it is the stock one that came with the tower no clue what to do F F ESC DEL keys dont work to get to BIOS the only responses i get are CTRL ALT DEL kind of restarts i think my monitor goes to standby when i do it for a brief period of time but then fans kick on again and same black screen also when i hit the pause break key it stops the beeping that is coming from the mobo note if i hit the key during the beep then its continuous noise anyone have any advice any would be appreciated Edit - just to clarify i get zero load up of anything there is no loading screen prior to the black with blinking cursor as soon as power is on it immediately goes to this screen Edit - again i forgot to put that the pin PCIe connector needed for the x pro is non existant in the new PSU and i havent gotten an adaptor yet for it dont know if that would be the reason i cant boot BIOS or windows the original graphics card was onboard and when installing the driver for radeon it said to disable the driver for the onboard card to ensure that the radeon worked properlly

A:Black screen blinking cursor immediately on boot, no load screen...

sounds like you need the PCIe power connector to run your video card. Try removing the card and enabling the onboard video until you get a new PSU or adadpter.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-blinking-cursor-immediately-on-boot-no-load-screen-421982.html
Relevancy 102.77%

I have seen this topic posted many times in several forums but in reviewing the messages and responses none seem to apply Cursor Flashing Windows XP not - Screen, Boot Black will or resolve my situation I am posting this in Windows XP will not Boot - Black Screen, Flashing Cursor hopes of some fresh help I have a Dell Latitude D laptop era with GB IDE drive replaced about months ago running Win XP-Pro SP- One day I shut it down then the next day it wouldn t boot up No new hardware or software installed for ages perhaps other than Win amp McAfee updates The POST screen displays momentarily but then it goes black with an unmovable blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner I ve disconnected and unplugged all cables and peripherals to no avail Attempts to boot into safe mode with F key are fruitless as is Cntrl-Alt-Del key I can boot from CD via F enter BIOS set-up via F or run Dell diagnostics I ve booted from into Windows Recovery mode via the OP Disk CD and done repair and also invoked bootcfg rebuild command all to no avail black screen cursor still returns I can see no obvious command in Windows XP will not Boot - Black Screen, Flashing Cursor the BIOS that if changed might solve the problem One odd thing Windows XP will not Boot - Black Screen, Flashing Cursor however is that the hard disk capacity in the BIOS reads GB yet the capacity is GB If I had to guess it would almost seem like this is closer to what might ve been available free space on the disk as though the BIOS can t see a large portion of the disk yet when booting into recovery mode the operating system appears to be recognized on the C drive I cannot figure how to troubleshoot this however I m obviously trying to preserve and save my programs and data already on the disk I ran extensive diagnostic tests and all hardware passed all tests including the hard drive tests One exception was an error message indicating a failure of the NIC EEProm Test device Broadcom M Error code B all greek to me but seems to indicate a hardware failure in the networking circuit seemingly built into the motherboard So I spring for a new motherboard and replace it but when I boot up it indicates Invalid Configuration information amp Time-of-day not set and wants to run a set-up utility also no Dell service tag number not sure if that has any bearing The press F to continue route yields nothing but the press F to run set-up utility takes me back into the BIOS screens I reset the clock with the proper time then re-boot arrrggh - black screen with cursor again Same behaviors and actions as before I reboot into Dell diagnostics again and run extensive tests again this time no errors not even the NIC EEProm test error limited success I m thinking maybe the CMOS NVRAM data might be corrupt I check the CMOS battery weird Dell configuration but yrs old now it s rated at V and checks out at V seems okay Perhaps erroneous or corrupt information is acquired from the hard disk during boot-up and transferred into the CMOS data corrupting its addresses and stalling the boot-up I m lost unclear how to proceed from here Have I been attacked by a virus How do I troubleshoot and resolve this In checking some forums the problem seems somewhat common but others seem to have resolved it from Vista or Win- operating systems which probably have more robust recovery options Again trying to save my data if at all possible Can anyone help nbsp

Relevancy 102.77%

I have a Windows desktop PC I built a few years ago which will no longer boot The BIOS splash screen displays and I cursor PC 10 Windows flashing - boot with screen black won't can access the BIOS by pressing Del at this point but after that there is no Windows loading screen as usual just a black screen with an underscore cursor character in the top left corner which flashes indefinitely I have left the machine in this state for over an hour and seen no progress While this black screen is shown I can press CTRL ALT DEL and the machine will reboot I can Windows 10 PC won't boot - black screen with flashing cursor also press the physical power button on the machine's case and it will turn Windows 10 PC won't boot - black screen with flashing cursor off immediately I have read around a bit online I've always worked in IT so Windows 10 PC won't boot - black screen with flashing cursor can usually solve my own problems and tried each of the following rebooting several times after trying each thing Mashing F and SHIFT F during boot to try and enter Advanced Startup Checking boot sequence in BIOS has the HDD as first boot device Manually forcing boot from the HDD through BIOS Removing all other boot devices from the boot sequence in BIOS Removing all connected peripherals USB dongles for Bluetooth keyboard and mouse even network cable Physically disconnecting other listed bootable devices internally where possible i e disconnecting power and data between motherboard and optical drive Resetting BIOS to default settings Nothing so far has made any difference and I cannot get the machine to boot I do not have another machine available which can take the HDD or a caddy to connect it to my Surface via USB so I cannot currently inspect the contents of the drive at all I also do not have any Windows installation media to try and boot from - I bought an OEM copy of Windows which I cannot find unfortunately when I bought built the machine and it was upgraded to Windows via the online download a few months back Other details MoBo MSI H MA-E B CPU Intel Core i s x PSU CoolerMaster RS- -PCAP-J W which came bundled with the CoolerMaster Elite case RAM Corsair GB x GB Dual Channel DDR Memory Kit CMV GX M A C What should my next steps be

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/631919/windows-10-pc-wont-boot-black-screen-with-flashing-cursor/
Relevancy 102.77%

My Computer Specs:

Dell Inspiron 6000
Windows XP, service pack 3
160GB HD

Hello!

This morning I tried to boot up my laptop: it showed the initial BIOS screen, the progress bar filled, then it went to a black screen with a white blinking cursor in the upper left corner.

I waited several hours to see if anything would happen, nothing.

The green lights above the keyboar (such as Numlock, capslock) are lit up. I checked the battery pack and it is full. Last night the laptop was working just fine.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

A:windows won't boot - black screen w/ blinking cursor

Try pressing F8 during bootup to get to the boot menu and try booting into Safe Mode.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-wont-boot-black-screen-w-blinking-cursor-415417.html
Relevancy 102.77%

Greetings I am completely lost and will paypal anyone with the correct answer We are a repair shop been in business for Years We have a windows xp pro machine in here that is used for a milling company The software that runs this machine is uber expensive So formatting a starting over is not an option The Machine Is Dell Precision T It has New tested and known good ram GB It has an Black Windows XP Boot Pro screen Failure no cursor to Acronis Image of the original HD for testing purposes only in it It will boot and run to another Hard drive Making me pretty certain there is an issue with the OS it's self When I try to turn it on the following sequence happens every time Windows XP logo comes Windows XP Pro Failure to Boot Black screen no cursor up and then a black screen with no cursor Here is what happens when you Windows XP Pro Failure to Boot Black screen no cursor try to go into safemode it fails Safemode with networking Same fail Last Known Good fail Enable VGA mode fail start windows normally fail -------------------------------------------- Now for with a Windows XP pro cd in the drive boots up to first screen tap the letter R it asks what drive answer it asks for password to admin answer press enter Then I have command prompt I type in chkdsk r press enter it successfully does it no errors I then Typed in Fix mbr It says it had a non standard MBR and asked if I wanted to fix it I said yes then it reported that it was fixed Then I typed in fix boot it asked if I wanted to do that sure why not It said it was done I then typed shutdown -r the computer rebooted -------------------------------------- I then attempted to boot with the same results I then rebooted to the windows cd again this time going to the next screen to repair windows The option was not there ----------------------------------------------------------------------- I then booted using Hirums Boot Cd I chose mini windows xp I then navigated to the troubled drive and then went to system folder and there was no restore points there I then navigated to C windows system config There was save files in there but only of the five I took the files system sam security software default and cut them into a new folder I created I then renamed the sav files as the original I exited and tried to restart------------ - ------------------------------------ Still wont boot WHAT HAVE I MISSED

A:Windows XP Pro Failure to Boot Black screen no cursor

The NTFS file system may be corrupt/damaged.  AFAIK, the only way to repair it (not files) is to reformat/repartition/reinstall.  I am not saying that's your problem, just one of the possibilities.

Me...I would check the functional status of the original hard drive...a clone of a troubled drive/partition...IME, it's garbage in, garbage out.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/627556/windows-xp-pro-failure-to-boot-black-screen-no-cursor/
Relevancy 102.77%

Hi there Windows system recently froze on me when I attempted to move a large folder to a USB harddrive I was not able to close the file window so I decided to shut down my PC with the regular Start - gt Shut Down Now when I try to turn on my computer after the quot Starting Windows quot and the Microsoft flag it goes to a pure black screen with just a mouse cursor movable no keyboard commands or right clicks work eg ctrl alt del does nothing I tried booting into only mouse Windows 64 screen on black an cursor 7 boot Pro with bit up safe mode safe mode with network they all do the same thing after the quot Starting Windows quot screen Tried booting with my Windows Pro bit installation disc as well and went into Windows 7 Pro 64 bit black screen with mouse cursor only on boot up an start up repair - no problem detected Tried system restore and it went successfully however after clicking restart the same thing happened again This is really driving me crazy could some one please help me out I really don't want to reinstall Windows and lose my files since I can't even get into any form of Windows interface I am not able to do a repair install Thanks in advance for any suggestions Update something strange just happened now - after quite a long time of wait the Picture with a user name underneath it does show up However when I clicked on the picture to try and log in the computer automatically shut down and restarted does that help Lastly I am really lost now as I just tried booting with my Windows installation disc Windows 7 Pro 64 bit black screen with mouse cursor only on boot up an and NO restore points show up anymore as opposed to the several that showed up previously

A:Windows 7 Pro 64 bit black screen with mouse cursor only on boot up an

Use System Restore and restore to a previous point.
Update all of your Drivers and get all Windows Updates.
If this doesn't fix things, then you're going to have to backup your stuff, wipe the hard drive, and reinstall Windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/111797-windows-7-pro-64-bit-black-screen-mouse-cursor-only-boot-up.html
Relevancy 102.77%

Hello

I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 last week and used it for the next couple of days.  Since the last few days whenever I start my laptop I see the Dell Inspiron logo with F2 & F12 in the bottom right corner and then it is black screen with blinking cursor.

I've tried pressing every avaialble F buttons during start up but to no avail.  I am not able to start or view anything even safe mode or nothing.  It is just showing me black screen with blinking cursor right after boot up.

As always, your help, time and effort is greatly appreciated folks!

Thanks much in advance
PP

A:windows 10 black screen with blinking cursor after boot up

Folks!

I am not trying to rush...but any help!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587234/windows-10-black-screen-with-blinking-cursor-after-boot-up/
Relevancy 102.77%

Hello Yesterday when i booted into my windows bit installation it took me to a black screen with a cursor and nothing else What happened was i was trying to tweak the 'authui dll' i wanted to remove the logon picture never do that again and i changed a height and a width value At reboot it took me to the black screen I booted into another windows install and changed back the files and restored every permission and ownership manually Then my original windows install instead of booting normally this time didn't manage to start I have 'no gui boot' enabled Instead of giving me or so little blue lines on the top it gives me the lines and a Bunch of other colorful dots horizontally The colored dots change slowly and nothing happens In safe mode i see the same dots but Over the DLL loading screen I created a bootable usb drive that has the official windows installer on it and it is the same version as i use The installer console detects my original istallation but i can't run sfc scannow at all gives me the same error every time screenshot below I also tried 'Upgrade'-ing but i could only do that if i to with black Boot screen Windows cursor/Repair were running the original installation Any help would be greatly appreciated If i can't fix this installation in like days i'm screwed

A:Boot to black screen with cursor/Repair Windows

Bad news, Speedgamer pal !

You try SFC /SCANNOW : Run in Command Prompt at Boot to bring authui.dll in its place .

Later, if needed, you mar run Startup Repair .

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/218755-boot-black-screen-cursor-repair-windows.html
Relevancy 101.91%

Hi Yesterday I was playing a computer game when my pc suddenly shut down so I restarted and tried again and the same thing happened So I figured the PC might be overheating I told my dad who white underscore screen boot: cursor Black won't Windows with got rid of the dust inside the PC But after putting all the cables back into the pc when we tried to restart the computer all it did was show bios information American Megatrends Windows won't boot: Black screen with white underscore cursor etc After that the computer continues but after it says quot checking NVRAM update OK quot it goes to a black screen with a white blinking underscore on the top right of the screen I can t see any sign of windows whatsoever I have windows Vista I tried getting to the safe mode which I read about after googling But I can t enter safe mode all I get is a screen saying quot Please select boot device quot and it shows options quot USB Generic Flash quot options and quot IDE HL-DT-ST DVDRAM quot option But whichever one I choose it just goes back to the black screen I read about this on google too and people said you should close this screen and keep pressing F but when I do nothing happens all I see is the black screen Does anyone know what to do to fix the problem nbsp

A:Windows won't boot: Black screen with white underscore cursor

Go back inside the computer and make sure the cables to the hard drive and from the motherboard to the hard drive are secure and connected

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-wont-boot-black-screen-with-white-underscore-cursor.175769/
Relevancy 101.91%

Hello everyone First of all I would like to start off Windows Doesn't Blinking With Black - Boot Screen Cursor by saying I love your forum here I have used it many many many times in order to resolve a problem I encountered here in our computer repair shop so much props goes to you guys Windows Doesn't Boot - Black Screen With Blinking Cursor We have a customer's computer running Windows XP Professional that will not boot After the Compaq splash screen it simply hangs at an all black screen with a white blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen I have already searched your forums as well as poured over Google searches and tried various things The things I have already tried to no avail are Boot into Recovery Console from Windows XP Pro CD and fixboot fixmbr Replace RAM with new RAM Replace NTLDR file from a working Windows XP Pro machine chkdsk r Used a guide here on your forums for using xPUD with mbr bin on a USB Not sure what was supposed to of happened because nothing did after I followed all the steps Completely unchanged I have also tried booting into Safe Mode which also does nothing Finally out of my own frusteration I booted the computer to Hirem's Boot CD and used it's Fix NTLDR Is Missing tool using the first option out of possible fixes and wham Boots Windows first try However upon restart of the customer's computer I am again greeted with the black screen and a blinking cursor I must use Hirem's Boot CD to boot Windows each time Obviously one would assume it's an NTLDR issue but I am unsure where to go from here Any help would be greatly appreciated Much thanks hompcsi

A:Windows Doesn't Boot - Black Screen With Blinking Cursor

Need more info on computer. Compaq with what onboard?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515490/windows-doesnt-boot-black-screen-with-blinking-cursor/
Relevancy 101.91%

Hi First sorry if this problem already has been adressed elsewhere I have googled for roughly hours and now im spent I have encountered a problem regarding the screen format of (with boot / Black after won't death cursor) Windows boot process of my computer ASUS N SV Laptop with Windows Premium bit installed Yesterday i formated a harddrive My computer has harddrives labelled C and D Windows is installed on the C drive and i formated the D drive using the designed windows tool Today Windows won't boot after format / Black screen of death (with cursor) my laptop has been unable to boot At first the computer appears to be booting however after the quot Windows is starting quot along with the Windows logo has been present for a while a screen similar to this one appears http cdn howtogeek Windows won't boot after format / Black screen of death (with cursor) com wp-content png Trying to start normally loops back around to the same screen trying to repair the computer results in the computer ending up with a black screen with the mouse cursor present and able to move around However the following problems are present - I cannot open task manager or anything else for that matter at the mouse cursor screen thus i can't use the quot restart explorer exe solution quot or anything software related for that matter - When trying to enter Safe Mode i end up with Windows won't boot after format / Black screen of death (with cursor) the same screen and limited options This goes for all variations of safe mode along with the quot Last good configuration quot and quot low resolution video quot options as well - When trying to boot from a Recovery disc created from another Win pc i end up in the same situation - I have tried to download a win ISO file as described elsewhere and boot from that with the same luck - I have tried to disable the harddrive entirely in the BIOS - no luck either - Removing all USB related plugins does nothing So to sum up - Normal startup Restart loop - Repair startup Black screen of death with mouse cursor present moveable but cant do anything - Safe mode variations same - Recovery disc same - Windows installation disc same - I can't seem to open a command promt As everything on the PC is backed up i do not have any problems in doing complete wipe of everything on the PC Factory reset thus if any solution exists where i can simply reinstall windows bear in mind i can't enter any sort of software or command prompt

A:Windows won't boot after format / Black screen of death (with cursor)

It sounds like you are not setting the machine to boot from disc first

Sorry i dont know your computer experience but are you sure you have entered bios and double checked the boot order ?
DVD first them HDD second
Also are you sure you have created your media correctly ie bootable
Be aware a recovery disc created on a 32 bit machine will only work if your machine is 32 bit and same for 64 bit
You could also try putting your downloaded iso onto a usb flash drive and boot from that if you are having optical drive issues

Tutorial here for reinstalling and the first part gives instructions for download and burn to usb if it helps
Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/303443-windows-wont-boot-after-format-black-screen-death-cursor.html
Relevancy 101.91%

HI I am unable to boot into windows in either safe or normal mode All options using a win boot disc leads me to a System Recovery Options screen where the keyboard and mouse pointer are frozen and my options are diminished What i believe has happened is my son has informed me he was trying to install a game and needed winrar + cursor screen blinking windows into boot to 7 Black Unable to extract the contents The file he was trying to install brought the Unable to boot into windows 7 Black screen + blinking cursor AVG virus program to life Viruses were quarantined and files Unable to boot into windows 7 Black screen + blinking cursor deleted This was yesterday evening When I tried to fire up the PC this morning the black screen is as far as i could get The PC in question is a HP Touchsmart all-in-one with Intel i and gb ram It is used daily for my work as a freelance graphic artist I was prepared to format and re-install but i cannot even find a way to do that at this stage I would really appreciate any help to sort out this problem Regards John

A:Unable to boot into windows 7 Black screen + blinking cursor

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair b... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528246/unable-to-boot-into-windows-7-black-screen-blinking-cursor/
Relevancy 101.91%

Hi I've got a problem with my laptop not booting Windows Asus N vg Dual boot OS Windows main partition boot screen 10 blinking error with cursor Windows - black data Ubuntu Ubuntu boots ok but Windows 10 boot error - black screen with blinking cursor I wasn't able to mount and access two partitions that were used by Windows Windows won't boot After selection in grub menu boot sequence doesn't Windows 10 boot error - black screen with blinking cursor proceed further than black screen with blinking cursor I tried using Windows recovery usb System restore Image recovery are unfortunately not an option Startup repair couldn't repair it Via Command prompt I was able to access files on both of my drives There isn't an option to enable Safe mode I don't know why Since Ubuntu is working OK my guess is that something is corrupted with partitions or MBR Reinstalling Windows is an option but I would rather not have to I was following this thread but I am not sure what to do or to read out whether my disk is ok and that is a problem for win Another thing I tried is to if fix mbr via Command Promt and bootrec fixMbr command There aren't solutions that worked for me so help would be appreciated

A:Windows 10 boot error - black screen with blinking cursor

Ubuntu can mount the windows partitions and you must be able to read the contents.
I feel your windows partitions need dskchk
you must have a gparted program. or you can install it.
I hope you can do a check of the partitions . if it does not show the partitions you have more problems than you think.
do not commit any thing with the gparted unless you are sure.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/windows-10-boot-error-black-screen-with-blinking-cursor-1054482.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hello The problem when i power up my computer it goes thorugh its full boot mode I get my login screen for password enter password and then the computer finish it's boot with a black screen and the mouse cursor active I can't do anything except move the cursor around What i can do I can boot the computer in Safe Mode and have full functionality in that mode for which i was able to backup personal files I tried one function where you can roll the computer back and that didn't work I am currently trying 'Startup repair and waiting for that to finish It finished boot but - can Windows cursor Black safe mode in screen w/active 7 and failed Windows 7 - Black screen w/active cursor but can boot in safe mode BadDriver How it started It started when a system update popped up on my screen faded out the main screen ann a dialog box popped up in the center of the screen asking if i authorized Windows 7 - Black screen w/active cursor but can boot in safe mode this update I cannot remember the specifics but it was Windows 7 - Black screen w/active cursor but can boot in safe mode for updating some flash drive or something Like an idiot i absentmindley clicked ok and it ran the update then rebooted my computer and that's when the problem started Help please

A:Windows 7 - Black screen w/active cursor but can boot in safe mode

Hello, and Welcome
Can you do a system restore to a date before the system update?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/543883/windows-7-black-screen-wactive-cursor-but-can-boot-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi all heres a quick run down of my problem about a month ago my pc started having errors at bootup it would get Graphics 7 - card boot screen Windows black and cursor related as far as the desktop then freeze the desktop allowing me to still use my mouse but i couldnt select anything and the system would hang After restarting on average about times it would then work and my pc would run perfectly about weeks ago i had a blue screen crash that mentioned something about the display drivers i was using a radeon i figured this with the startup problem must be my graphics card on its way Windows 7 black screen and cursor boot - Graphics card related out one day i started my pc and was greeted by my st 'black screen' with cursor and decided enough was enough and took out my graphics card leaving only the on board graphics radeon my pc worked fine for a few days and Windows 7 black screen and cursor boot - Graphics card related i decided to try and work out if the problem was software of hardware related so i reinstalled my card this immediatly booted me to the black screen Windows 7 black screen and cursor boot - Graphics card related with cursor so strait away i took it out again so now im back to my on board graphics however this time the problem has not gone i am writing this via safe mode as i am still getting the black screen with cursor appear at start up ive tried start up repair which says there is no problem ive tried disabling and uninstalling re installing the onboard graphics but still the black screen anyone have any ideas short of re installing windows thanks in advance

A:Windows 7 black screen and cursor boot - Graphics card related

In Safe Mode I would run "chkdsk /r" from a cmd prompt for "c" drive on the hard drive as this sounds like a hard drive issue.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-black-screen-and-cursor-boot-graphics-card-related-669362.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi my pc will not boot into windows properly system is a Toshiba Satelite L d AMD Turion Process gb RAM running Windows Vista Home Premium I think - with boot cursor a Windows screen Cant - virus white suspect into black - not certain dont know which service pack is installed The computer appears to start up normally and then I simply get a black screen with the white cursor So far I have tried Normal mode boot black screen white cursor ctrl Cant boot into Windows - suspect a virus - black screen with white cursor alt delete does nothing Safe mode - black screen white cursor ctrl alt delete does nothing Safe mode with networking - black screen white cursor ctrl alt delete does nothing safe mode with command prompt - black screen white cursor ctrl alt delete does nothing last know good configuration - black screen white cursor ctrl alt delete does nothing boot to F - repair your computer and it does load the system recover options System restore starts but then gives the message 'no restore points have been created' Startup repair reports 'startup repair could not detect a problem'

A:Cant boot into Windows - suspect a virus - black screen with white cursor

Gazsa,

typically this is a sign of the computer trying to boot from something other than the hard drive. (In most cases) Double check that all flash drives are disconnected, there there is no cd in the disk player.

Most have already tried this, but I didnt see you mention this, thats why I ask.

Hope this helps

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517087/cant-boot-into-windows-suspect-a-virus-black-screen-with-white-cursor/
Relevancy 100.19%

Hello,

I am encountering an issue of when the Dell optiplex 755 boots up, it boots through the Windows XP logo just fine, once it tries to transition between the logo and loading the system up, it just shows a black screen and nothing else happens. I tried using a bootable Windows XP flash drive to repair the system files and it loads the Windows XP setup ok but when it runs through all of the commands on the bottom of the screen and the last one says "Starting Windows" , it takes me to a blue screen (screenshot below). I have HIRENS and have done a lot of the chkdsk commands to fix the files and everything comes back ok. I tried to clone the hard drive with the same exact hard drive and still the same issue. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help in advance.

A:Windows XP gets past the logo screen and then turns the screen black/bluescreen

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN130053/EN#Error , scroll down to section on STOP 7B errors.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/586463/windows-xp-gets-past-the-logo-screen-and-then-turns-the-screen-blackbluescreen/
Relevancy 99.76%

Hey need some help yet again Yesterday I downloaded Mission Against Terror New MMOFPS and I downloaded it Upon updating with the patcher my laptop went haywire It started opening up random IE windows slow speed etc etc I did a whole memory scan and a malware adware spyware scan There were several viruses and whatnot but Login screen and BEFORE Screen 7 Windows Black logo/loading! AFTER what is important are the files SVC exe and exe you'll find it why later on The anti-virus said that it had fixed deleted everything So I restarted my laptop hoping that I'd get it up and running in safe mode for any further scans Unfortunately when I restarted it after the windows loading screen which is right before login screen a black screen appeared With nothing at all Not even a cursor BLACK JUST BLACK with NO keyboard access mouse access But that's expected since it's BEFORE the login screen It's the same with normal boot boot that does that quot last best used option quot or whatever safe mode with networking etc etc All the same Black screen Good thing I had Black Screen BEFORE Login screen and AFTER Windows 7 logo/loading! WIN XP on my other hard drive So I booted up into WIN XP where I'm posting this from and did a FULL NOT QUICK system scan to find the SAME Viruses YET AGAIN SVC exe and exe along with some other minor tracking cookies and what-not Win XP on second drive is also having a few problems like IE shutting down every second using firefox now Think this is a whole system prob But why Didn't the antivirus-es fix it I say quot es quot because I used SuperAntiSpyware Norton NOD Malware Bytes and AVG I've tried the system recovery thing F thing on boot screen NOT ON LOGIN SCREEN Remember I can't reach that but that doesn't work either So any suggestions Btw The windows PRO bit that's corrupted not starting is on C and Win XP is on D Attached is a log of my most recent scans Thanks in advance

A:Black Screen BEFORE Login screen and AFTER Windows 7 logo/loading!

Hi your problem can best be addressed in the security section of the forum
http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-before-login-screen-and-after-windows-7-logo-loading-516244.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Good Morning,

For the past several months I have been having problems with my HP desktop computer. When my system reboots I sometimes get a black screen with nothing on it or it gets stuck on the windows logo or I get a blue screen with a bunch of writing.

The blue screen tends to happen with the computer goes into hibernation. So I changed my settings to that it doesn't happen but I would like to fix that so that I can give my computer a rest during the time that I'm not using it.

I have checked for malware, viruses you name it... nothing.

HP HPE-180t
Windows 7 SP1
Intel core i7 930 @2.80GHz
9.00 GB RAM
Kaspersky Internet Security 2013

If you need further info please let me know. ;)
ps I had wonderful support several years ago regarding my laptop.. thank you once again :)

A:Black screen, Blue Screen & Stuck on Windows logo

Hello Britt,

Quote:

I would like to fix that so that I can give my computer a rest during the time that I'm not using it.

The best way to do this is to simply turn it off; it will also save on the electricty bills too.
When I am not using my machine, I turn it off, because here in South Australia we have the second highest electricity charges in the world.

Quote:

I get a blue screen with a bunch of writing.

Can you tell us what the blue screen says; usually this is due to a recent hardware or software change; however, in your instance it might be the Hibernation feature that is malfunctioning.
Post back with the information about the blue screen, please.

Kind Regards,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-blue-screen-and-stuck-on-windows-logo-689187.html
Relevancy 98.9%

When I turn on my computer and after the HP logo shows up my desktop goes to a black screen. Last night was normal as always.
Any fix?

A:Boot up - Black Screen after HP Logo

By chance is there a flashing cursor in the top left corner of the otherwise black screen?

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/56788-boot-up-black-screen-after-hp-logo.html
Relevancy 97.61%

The computer is about a year and a half old, and none of the hardware was changed. At first, when the notebook would be booted up, it would go past the HP logo and attempt a repair, upon which it would hang up on indefinitely.Now, after trying a hard reset, it just skips the repair process entirely and freezes on a black screen. It won't boot off of a Windows 10 repair DVD either, even with the BIOS set to allow it. I ran a system check, and I was given a failure ID of:94V61A-7K18A2-MFPWLJ-60TW03 Can anyone help?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Cannot-boot-hovers-on-black-screen-after-HP-logo/td-p/5853849
Relevancy 97.61%

Hello there just a similar question thought maybe i will get any kind of help here Situation is pretty just see i boot samsung after a logo screen black obvious i have got a Samsung Nb model is NP E C i see just a black screen after samsung boot logo with windows on board Though it were simply to just erase it i mean format partition and install windows os So what i have done deleted all partitions create one single partition and start installing windows on it After first restart just after Samsung boot logo screen went black Went to bios and saw that boot priority set to dvd hdd is second pressed f for the restart Same situation - black screen After several tries i start pressing F or F button quick boot option menu appeared - i chose dvd as for boot device when on screen i saw PRESS ANY KEY TO i hit NOTHING and hola - windows installation goes on With that trick i install Windows but the problem that can start OS only with that trick - if i doing everything else i see just a black screen after samsung boot logo What could be the solution for this Is this some bios changes i need to do or else Thanks guys

A:i see just a black screen after samsung boot logo

Quote: Originally Posted by rwds

Hello there, just a similar question, thought maybe i will get any kind of help here.
Situation is pretty obvious: i have got a Samsung Nb, model is NP355E5C, with windows 8 on board. Though it were simply to just erase it, i mean format partition and install windows 7 os. So what i have done: deleted all partitions, create one single partition and start installing windows on it. After first restart, just after Samsung boot logo, screen went black. Went to bios and saw, that boot priority set to dvd, hdd is second, pressed f10 for the restart. Same situation - black screen. After several tries i start pressing F8 or F9 button, quick boot option menu appeared - i chose dvd as for boot device, when on screen i saw PRESS ANY KEY TO.. i hit NOTHING, and hola - windows 7 installation goes on. With that trick i install Windows 7, but the problem that can start OS only with that trick - if i doing everything else, i see just a black screen after samsung boot logo.
What could be the solution for this ? Is this some bios changes i need to do or else ?
Thanks guys.

To Downgrade to Windows 7.
Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
Warning you must have the uEFI/BIOS firmware setting in Step Three set.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/280170-i-see-just-black-screen-after-samsung-boot-logo.html
Relevancy 97.61%

Hello all I have boot after blue logo ) Black ( screen not a problem obviously with my computer This computer is a new rig and even though i've been having Blue screens of Death at the beginning fixed through forum troubleshooting everything's been running perfectly Here are Black screen ( not blue ) after boot logo the specs to my computer running Windows Pro MOBO Asus p z -V PRO CPU Intel i- k RAM x gb cl Gskill Ripjaw i had but one of them was faulty so it was removed SSD Samsung gb OS Windows pro x HDD WD Caviar Black tb Heatsink Noctua NH-D PSU Antec HCP gold GPU MSI Radeon Twin FROZR i have a spare GeForce GT which i will get into details later My monitor is a Xstar quot p It has been running on overclock from hz to hz without any problems Now to the problem I've been having MAJOR problems with my WiFi The wifi adapter is the intergrated one from the Mobo WiFi Go which only has ghz So i was trying to find out how i could make my computer compatible with ghz I moved the case and i think the Dual DVI cable on the graphic card might have pulled just a bit and i see a popup on my monitor at the bottom right corner saying quot Display Driver has failed but recovered quot or something very similar Next thing i know my peripherals dont work anymore Screen seems frozen but i dont know for SURE that it was frozen might be just my peripherals that stopped working because i can't remember if there was an animated image still moving or not in one of the opened windows it's all very blurry at this point From what I know and what I can see with verifications made later on i don't think any updates have been done and no drivers were updated So I hard reset my computer and whadda ya know Windows logo shows and right after when i'm supposed to get the logon screen the monitor just turns black So i reset a couple of times and every time is the exact same problem The screen just goes black after the boot sequence Heres what i tried - Tried restoring from a restore point Didn't work - Tried in safe mode Computer boots up and works - - Tried uninstalling graphics drivers OK - - Tried reinstalling the drivers but the card was not recognized and the only way to get the drivers for my card is with an auto-detect from AMD So that didn't work - - When reebooting the computer screen goes black again - Tried reseating my card Didn't work - Tried the second DVI slot on my card Didn't work - Tried taking out the card and plugging a second monitor p because the korean one was not compatible with the iGPU to the intergrated gpu The computer boots up fine - I call ASUS customer support I explain the situation and the guy tells me to RMA my graphics card Which i do and I send it away Now I could've stopped there but since i JUST got into my weeks vacation from work and wanted to use a bit of that time to play a few games on the computer I tried running them with the iGPU As expected it it was barely acceptable for a low-end graphics game I then remembered I had another GPU GeForce GT in an older computer I gave to my girlfriend for her work Knowing it wasnt gonna be much improvement I still decided to try it out So i plug it in connect my p monitor to it And then that's when I realized that the GPU i sent back for RMA was NOT the problem Because it did the exact same thing for this GPU So i tried reinstalling the drivers for the Gefore which this time the install worked because it's not an autodetect but the problem was not solved Still a black screen I try to look around in forums some more and I can't seem to find anything that is like my situation I read somewhere that it was recommended to run Chkdsk f r or something When I did that in Safe Mode with networking it said it couldnt do it right away So it prompted me to ask if I wanted to schedule it on next startup To which I said yes Good god I inflicted myself another hours and an overnight of troubleshooting I was not able to reboot my computer and cancel the chkdsk because it was stuck at I reboote... Read more

A:Black screen ( not blue ) after boot logo

From my experience, a black screen (right before entering windows) usually points to a graphics issue. Things to try:

Reset BIOS to defaults
Make sure BIOS graphics is set to use PCI-e (not onboard or integrated)
(The above assumes your monitor is connected to the PCI-e card)
If no good, move the monitor cable to the onboard/integrated graphics port (if available) on the mobo and set BIOS accordingly

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/28858-black-screen-not-blue-after-boot-logo.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Whenever the Windows loadscreen load Black after - it fixes Windows screen Nothing w/cursor screen passes the screen goes black and I can move a cursor around the screen I have had this happen before and fixed it with bootrec exe but I can't seem to get that to work this time Startup repair says it cannot help - Safe mode Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it has the exact same Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it black screen problem I have done chkdsk and sfc scannow - Didn't fix it When I Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it boot into Kaspersky Rescue from a USB drive it mentions that I need to shut down windows properly before continuing I would like to do this but I can't I have tried changing the active partition on information in some of these other threads - It didn't seem to work All disks are healthy according to the DISKPART and Partition Wizard I have done the HP hardware diagnostic scans and everything comes up fine I see that a lot of the advice on the threads is to do a fresh install - Is it really broken beyond repair at this point Does anyone have any other ways I can try and fix this problem

A:Black screen w/cursor after Windows load screen - Nothing fixes it

Hello saturnn and welcome to Seven Forums.

One of the Forum experts prepared this troubleshooting guide for Windows 7 failure to boot issues. Even though you've tried several of the suggested fixes I'd still go through the tutorial and try the steps in the order listed.

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/268184-black-screen-w-cursor-after-windows-load-screen-nothing-fixes.html
Relevancy 96.75%

Hi.
I've set "uefi ipv4 boot" in first boot sequence on my bios. Since this modification, my computer can't start. I got a black screen before the Dell logo. I've tried to do a bios reset by removing the CMOS battery but nothing changes. I've tried to unplug the HDD, the ram and the CD player but nothing works. When I try to start the computer without ram, it make some bip noises. The BIOS is up to date and I've made a diagnostic from the bios menu one day before the bug, and the diagnostic was OK. Ive tried to press all the functions keys at startup (f1, f2, etc...). I've started to press escape, control, delete, but nothing worked. I've tried to plug a bootable USB key but nothing... Can you help me ?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19716065
Relevancy 95.89%

Hello. Recently had a virus and have been going through the steps here on bleeping computer to help get rid of it. The last thing I was told to do was run the farbar scan tool and to copy and paste a code and hit fix. Upon doing so the computer prompted for a restart. It now won't get to the log in screen. I've tried booting in safe mode and I've also tried last known working configuration as suggested and nothing has worked unfortunately. I was told to come here. Hopefully something can be done. Thanks a ton.

A:Windows won't get to login screen, black screen and cursor

Tap F8 at boot and select Repair Computer from the Advanced Boot Options. Do a System Restore to a date just before the problem. 

You cannot do the above and if you have another Windows 7 computer create a System Repair Disk. Boot and try a System Restore to a date just before the problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617825/windows-wont-get-to-login-screen-black-screen-and-cursor/
Relevancy 95.89%

Hello I'm new to the Screen Cursor Screen w/ Loading Windows Black After forums but I find myself coming to this site a lot to fix my windows computer so heck why not join Problem Recently my computer starts up windows and after the loading screen it just sits at a black screen forever with a cursor and it doesn't even make it to the log in screen I have tried safe mode with the same results What I've Done So Black Screen w/ Cursor After Windows Loading Screen FarTried to Repair Startup with Windows DVD Tried to use sfc scannow at boot Says pending changes and needs to restart Tried logging into my Ubuntu partition and virus scanning None found Tried copying Reg Files from Regback into config while I was in Linux Tried to Repair Install But I can't log into Windows Tried to bootrec fixmbr fixbot RebuildBcd Which destroyed my dual boot linux grub but I was desperate And still nothing Interestingly though after I do RebuildBcd command it says something like quot Found Windows Installations quot Tried to System Restore Gave me an Error wouldn't you know At this point I'm not to confident that this can be fixed If anyone has any ideas I'm willing to try Or if you have any snazzy suggestions on how I could fix it using another computer I have a different Windows Pro x computer that I can put the HD in if there's someway I can save my data fix it repair install from there I just don't know how Edit I finished the chkdsk and there were no bad sectors though it did give me a message quot Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status quot I did a Windows Defender Offline scan with no viruses and I'm currently scanning with Kaspersky Rescue disk I don't believe it is a virus I think it's a corrupt registry at this point I had just cleaned my registry with CCleaner before the shutdown that led to this gt lt Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Black Screen w/ Cursor After Windows Loading Screen

Do you have any external drives connected by usb? I had a similar problem, and found that I had to turn off the usb drives when I re-booted. I still do that whenever I re-boot for any reason.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/220859-black-screen-w-cursor-after-windows-loading-screen.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Hi Boot hang, XP screen reach won't logo black Error, as you can gather from the title I am having trouble booting up Windows XP I was browsing Facebook and followed a link to a band s myspace account and then the screen suddenly went black and the computer rebooted without turning off This has happened seemingly randomly in the past but I thought little of it The computer was then booting up as normal it got to the blinking underscore thing that it normally shows after showing the usual boot up info the screen went all black this normally happens IIRC Boot Error, black screen hang, won't reach XP logo and then it just Boot Error, black screen hang, won't reach XP logo freezes black Not responding to anything I looked in the BIOS and it seems to be finding all the hardware if I press F I can change the boot priority My brother put some diagnostic tools on a USB drive and ran a few HDD RAM and CPU tests no errors We used this or a Windows XP disc on USB to access the safe mode selection screen but this does nothing to change what happens with the boot error We also tried using the windows xp repair tool thing it hangs on the blue screen setup part and then BSODs when esc is pressed so as far as I can tell we have no access to the command line Computer Specs E Dual Core GHz GB RAM ASUS P K-E Samsung GB HDD not sure which model I m currently using and posting this thread with the puppylinux flash USB Operating System on the same computer it s the only way I can get it to do anything I m guessing the boot sector is messed up on the Hard Drive and I ll probably be ordering a new HD to come on wednesday Sorry about the wall of text I m just trying to provide as much information as possible Thanks for any help and if you need any more info just ask nbsp

Relevancy 95.46%

Infected with Virus - used malaware (MBAM) removal software and deleted the files. irql_not_less_or_equal (0x0000000A) error occurred. After that, can not boot from XP CD to recover or even sony OEM logo is not appearing.

I get 1 beep code and blue screen most of the screen and black screen some portion. (phenix BIOS)

Attempts to get to BIOS with F2/F3/F8 did not help. Reinserted memory DIMMs and cleaned up inside little, no progress.

(vaio desktop PCV-RZ44g - XP, sp3)

Not sure what to do next. Appreciate your help. thanks.

A:OEM logo not coming; blue screen with black block; XP CD won't boot

If you are getting beep codes...something is seriously out of focus.

Have you looked the code up to see what it's trying to tell you?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/193744/oem-logo-not-coming;-blue-screen-with-black-block;-xp-cd-wont-boot/
Relevancy 95.46%

Sorry for the long title Well its been years of being able Black only boot are display installed logo, drivers screen when after to solve things myself and now I'm back So first let me start off with system specs - AMD Phenom II X - Nvidia GeForce GT GB Crucial Black screen after boot logo, only when display drivers are installed Ballistix Sport x GB W Ultra PSU - W rail Asus M N series motherboard GB HDD - Probably seagate forgot brand No optical drive So a long story short boot into Windows directly after windows logo black screen Windows appears to keep on booting I hear the sound yet my monitor Black screen after boot logo, only when display drivers are installed stays black Boot into safe mode uninstall display drivers boot back into windows regularly everything works fine side note Even with drivers uninstalled when I go to application management it shows them there Yet my card is not recognized by dxdiag and no games can be launched - cannot find d d opengl I've tried everything that my searches have come up with to no avail I have also verified all of my hardware is working properly aside from my video card because I cant get any drivers to boot with windows Now the reason why I rule out hardware is this -Ram timings and voltages are spot on -PSU rails and wattage spot on -HDD test comes back perfect -No errors from processor as far as I can find -Motherboard voltages perfect no glitches until now Secondly uninstall drivers boots into windows fine I tried to do a clean wipe with windows and Both of them get to the end do the last reboot and go black after windows logo screen Even when doing completely new installation no updates on a new formatted partition Help Will be searching in the meantime and thanks in advance

A:Black screen after boot logo, only when display drivers are installed

Quote:

Originally Posted by xg3nx

Sorry for the long title. Well, its been 2 years of being able to solve things myself and now I'm back. So first, let me start off with system specs -

AMD Phenom II X4 - 840.
Nvidia GeForce 9500GT
4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x2GB.
550W Ultra PSU - 28W 12+ rail.
Asus M4N series motherboard.
500GB HDD - Probably seagate, forgot brand.
No optical drive.

So a long story short, boot into Windows, directly after windows logo, black screen. Windows appears to keep on booting, I hear the sound, yet my monitor stays black. Boot into safe mode, uninstall display drivers, boot back into windows regularly everything works fine.

(side note) Even with drivers uninstalled, when I go to application management, it shows them there. Yet, my card is not recognized by dxdiag and no games can be launched - cannot find d3d/opengl.

I've tried everything that my searches have come up with to no avail. I have also verified all of my hardware is working properly aside from my video card because I cant get any drivers to boot with windows. Now the reason why I rule out hardware is this:
-Ram timings and voltages are spot on.
-PSU rails and wattage spot on
-HDD test comes back perfect
-No errors from processor as far as I can find
-Motherboard voltages perfect, no glitches until now.

Secondly, uninstall drivers, boots into windows fine.

I tried to do a clean wipe with windows 7 and 8. Both of them get to the end, do the last reboot, and go black after windows logo screen. Even when doing completely new installation, no updates, on a new formatted partition.

Help! Will be searching in the meantime and thanks in advance.

EDIT: Been reading a lot about hard drive corruption, or corrupted windows install. Is there a way for me to install windows OUTSIDE of windows, and reformat the hard drive the way the xp discs used to do? I have no optical drive at the moment :( I do have a USB device that might be sufficient.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-after-boot-logo-only-when-display-drivers-are-installed-691736.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Hi I m not sure where this should go so I figured only cursor Black screen up boot upon and this would suffice My laptop took a foot fall two days ago while running and then I continuted to use it for a few hours until it shut itself down While trying to start it back up it was saying that no hard drive was detected and the startup repair claimed the same thing with error code - It also said on another screen that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated I got it to go to normal mode without being able to do anything and safe mode to transfer some pictures to a flash drive and did a virus Black screen and cursor only upon boot up check that came up clear but noted that some files may not have been checked I have Avast Antivirus A weird thing did happen while turning it on and off trying to see what would happen one time there was a new user on the welcome screen indicated as AvastAntivirus something or other tried to log in to that but of course I didn t have the password So now after a few startup repairs it starts up takes a while to do so and if you get a screen to choose safe mode safe with networking safe with command prompt or normal all selections lead to a black screen and cursor While the sytem tries to load and runs through all the drivers it always stops at Windows System Drivers aswRvrt sys HELP please I also was reading some other people s posts If I have to do this Farbar thing how do I find out if my laptop is a bit or bit Thanks nbsp

A:Black screen and cursor only upon boot up

My first assumption is that the disk drive is loose (or worse). Remove it and firmly replace it. Your second screen shot indicates that it is a Dell laptop so there is probably a maintenance manual (or user guide) on their web site and/or in your possession.

Secondly I'd run the hard drive diagnostic if there is one in the BIOS (Setup).

And if you can get far enough run disk check with error correcting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-and-cursor-only-upon-boot-up.1103706/
Relevancy 95.46%

Hi all You'll have to bear with me a little I'm not a particularly technical person so I'll try my best to explain the problem The gist of the issue is that although my computer XP service pack using comparatively old hardware - old and faithful seems to load up fine as soon as it comes off the initial Windows loading page with the loading bar etc the screen goes black and although the mouse cursor can be seen the page where you select users shows up as just black I've been having problems with my computer since it PC... my I with screen when Black boot cursor up updated to service pack early last month After that it tried to update me to Windows Media Player but every time it tried the whole system would crash burn and restart itself At one point when I sent an error report I was told the problem was due to a virus of some kind - a trojan I think I saved the information on my PC Black screen with cursor when I boot up my PC... but that's obviously a little useless right now as I can't access it and there aren't any backups I run AVG as a virus scanner which I find effective but it has never found any kind of virus on there As far as I was aware it was clean I used the Windows Live cleaner as they suggested it found nothing either and neither did Netcom my registry cleaner which also has a virus spyware scanner In fact it's come up completely clean for some time However since I updated the service pack the Windows firewall hasn't been in operation and I could never get it working again Though I haven't used any dodgy websites recently mostly YouTube and Wikipedia plus my e-mail provider this has caused me concern Last night the updater tried to run itself again as I shut the PC down the system crashed and restarted halfway through only to show the black screen with the mouse cursor which can be moved around though that's a fat lot of good I have no clue what to do with it but I need to get it working fairly quickly I'm a student so it need it for work Is there absolutely anything anyone can suggest to help me As I've said before I'm not particularly technical I just to get it all sorted Thank you for any help and please tell me if you need any more details I'll try and give more information if required

A:Black screen with cursor when I boot up my PC...

Hi Glastea, and welcome to TSF.

I have several suggestions for recovery of your system but most of them include using an XP cd. If you don't have one, perhaps you can borrow one from somewhere? Some of the solutions i can suggest may include using your serial key. (a 25 digit code which you may find on a sticker on the casing of your machine) This of course depends where and how you purchased the pc.

It is my opinion that you will need the cd at the very least. You are legally entitled to copy that cd if you need to but your problem will arise if you don't have the 25 digit serial key code.

Please post back if you have, or can obtain, a cd and i will do my best to help.

Btw, registry cleaners are a no no and thats probably made your problems a whole lot worse.

The only other alternative is to remove your hard drive and slave it to another machine to retrieve any important files but at the end of it all you still need the aforementioned disc to restore your operating system.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-with-cursor-when-i-boot-up-my-pc-291007.html
Relevancy 95.46%

i can boot into safe mode, but normal boot stops at black screen with a cursor. there is not an option for last known config on boot screen, any ideas?

A:black screen with cursor on boot

try a restoring your system to a previous state using System Restore.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-with-cursor-on-boot.654046/
Relevancy 95.46%

I was having problems with my charger for a couple of weeks I bought some cheap online charger that provided my computer with the wrong wattage Eventually my battery became ruined due to this but I bought a new BOOT Screen Cursor WILL Black NOT With OS one However my computer kept shutting off due to the lack of power So it would completely shut off This may have done some hard drive damage I suspect since I cannot boot into OS anymore I have tried another HDD and it seemed to work I'm trying to Black Screen With Cursor OS WILL NOT BOOT resolve the problem with my hard drive though I plugged it into my other computer via usb and it seems fine I am able to grab any files I need from it NOW as for my laptop the PC turns on like normal I get the bios screen I get the Windows logo screen Then I get a black screen with a mouse cursor in the middle I can move the mouse but the buttons don't do anything--left or right click No keys on the keyboard change the screen Ctrl Alt Del does nothing Windows key does nothing Esc does nothing etc At this point the only option is to hold down the power button and turn it off What I've tried I tried to start it in safe mode but the same thing happens It shows the system files that are loading The last file it shows loading is Windows system DRIVERS amdkmpfd sys then it goes to a black screen with a mouse cursor again only this time it is in safe mode resolution so the mouse cursor is larger and not as sharp Also no keyboard strokes have any affect just as with normal mode It is a Dell Inspiron so it came with an onboard repair utility I used the Startup Repair tool but it found no problems The diagnostics tools found no issues with the hard drive or any of the other major system components It passes all other tests the onboard diagnostic utility has including memory tests fan tests hard drive tests etc I have not however tried a full system restore yet From what I've read in several forums many have tried this in similar situations and still had the same problem Since there are several files I'd rather not lose I wanted to explore all other avenues Sorry if this is a repeat question in the forum Most of the other situations seemed similar but there was always something they could do that I could not like press Ctrl Alt Del or boot into safe mode or whatever Here is as much of the system info that I can gather without having the PC on not mine I'm doing this for a friend -Dell Inspiron I think it's a -OS Windows Home -AMD Athlon II X I hope I've been thorough enough to allow you to help me without wasting any of your time and I thank you in advance

A:Black Screen With Cursor OS WILL NOT BOOT

Windows repair disc may fix a broken startup like this... 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508357/black-screen-with-cursor-os-will-not-boot/
Relevancy 95.46%

Hi,
I have a laptop my brother says they haven't installed anything lately. It boots up fine in safe mode. In normal mode it boots up and goes to a black screen and the white cursor.

I can move the cursor around and can do CNTR-ALT-DEL to get the Taskmanager or switch user screen and all that ok..

I ran the self diagnosis from the VIsta windows cd and No problem found.
I let it self test the memory like your tutorial said to do, no problem found.

Any more ideas??

A:Black screen w/cursor after boot up

Also, he has never setup a restore point, so that is not an option.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/184331/black-screen-wcursor-after-boot-up/
Relevancy 95.46%

Computer shows Windows splash screen, allows me to login, but then goes to a black screen with a cursor. When I boot in safe mode everything is fine. If I disconnect the printer and discharge the psu, everything boots fine in normal mode.

Any ideas, could the computer be trying to load something from the printer?

Win 7 HP 64bit

A:Black screen with cursor on boot

what are you running
video card brand and model
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and cpu temperatures and post them

sounds like the power supply is on it's way out

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-with-cursor-on-boot.1096931/
Relevancy 95.46%

Hello I have a laptop that will not Black with BOOT Cursor Screen NO boot neither in normal mode nor safe mode It gets past the Windows logo but then the screen turns black with just a white cursor If I wait long enough the laptop will eventually reboot I have managed to boot to OTLPE and do a FRST scan Any help would be much Black Screen with Cursor NO BOOT apreciated Here is the FRST LOG Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - Ran by SYSTEM on REATOGO on - - Running from B Documents and Settings Default User Desktop Platform Windows Home Premium X OS Language English United States Internet Explorer Version Boot Mode Recovery The current Black Screen with Cursor NO BOOT controlset is ControlSet ATTENTION gt If the system is bootable FRST must be run from normal or Safe mode to create a complete log ATTENTION gt THE OPERATING SYSTEM IS A X SYSTEM BUT THE BOOT DISK THAT IS USED TO BOOT TO RECOVERY ENVIRONMENT IS A X SYSTEM DISK Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool Registry Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the registry item will be restored to default or removed The file will not be moved HKLM Run RtHDVCpl gt C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVCpl exe - - Realtek Semiconductor HKLM Run BTMTrayAgent gt rundll exe C Program Files x Intel Bluetooth btmshell dll TrayApp HKLM Run ETDCtrl gt C Program Files Elantech ETDCtrl exe - - ELAN Microelectronics Corp HKLM Run egui gt C Program Files ESET ESET Endpoint Antivirus egui exe - - ESET HKU Tracy Run Livedrive gt C Program Files x Livedrive Livedrive exe - - Livedrive Internet Ltd HKU Tracy Run Skype gt C Program Files x Skype Phone Skype exe - - Skype Technologies S A SSODL EldosMountNotificator - FF FE -B - CB -B -FB E - C windows system CbFsMntNtf dll EldoS Corporation Services Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the service will be removed from the registry The file will not be moved unless listed separately S AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc C windows SysWOW Macromed Flash FlashPlayerUpdateService exe - - Adobe Systems Incorporated S AMPPALR C Program Files Intel BluetoothHS BTHSAmpPalService exe - - Intel Corporation S Apple Mobile Device C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe - - Apple Inc S Bluetooth Device Monitor C Program Files x Intel Bluetooth devmonsrv exe - - Intel Corporation S Bluetooth Media Service C Program Files x Intel Bluetooth mediasrv exe - - Intel Corporation S Bluetooth OBEX Service C Program Files x Intel Bluetooth obexsrv exe - - Intel Corporation S BTHSSecurityMgr C Program Files Intel BluetoothHS BTHSSecurityMgr exe - - Intel reg Corporation S c cautoupdatesvc C Program Files x Skype Toolbars AutoUpdate SkypeC CAutoUpdateSvc exe - - Microsoft Corporation S c cpnrsvc C Program Files x Skype Toolbars PNRSvc SkypeC CPNRSvc exe - - Microsoft Corporation S ClickToRunSvc C Program Files Microsoft Office ClientX OfficeClickToRun exe - - Microsoft Corporation S clr optimization v C Windows Microsoft NET Framework v mscorsvw exe - - Microsoft Corporation S clr optimization v C windows Microsoft NET Framework v mscorsvw exe - - Microsoft Corporation S EhttpSrv C Program Files ESET ESET Endpoint Antivirus EHttpSrv exe - - ESET S ekrn C Program Files ESET ESET Endpoint Antivirus x ekrn exe - - ESET S ESHASRV C Program Files ESET ESET Endpoint Antivirus EShaSrv exe - - ESET S FFPCAutoSave C Program Files x FUJIFILM FUJIFILM PC AutoSave PCAutoSaveSv exe - - FUJIFILM Corporation S FontCache C Windows Microsoft Net Framework v WPF PresentationFontCache exe - - Microsoft Corporation S GameConsoleService C Program Files x WildGames Game Console - WildGames GameConsoleService exe - - WildTangent Inc S gupdate C Program Files x Google Update GoogleUpdate exe - - Google Inc S gupdatem C Program Files x Google Update GoogleUpdate exe - - Google Inc S idsvc C Windows Microsoft NET Framework v W... Read more

A:Black Screen with Cursor NO BOOT

Greetings Mrunreal and to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.

My name is Oh My! and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary.

If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer to do that.

===================================================

Ground Rules:First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met. Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance.Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps may be a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me.When you post your reply, use the button instead.In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see the button. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be sent an email once I have posted a response.If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.Now let's get started ===================================================

Now that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.

Thank you for your patience thus far. I would like to get a fresh FRST report. Please delete any existing FRST program and do this.

===================================================

Farbar's Recovery Scan Tool in Recovery Environment

--------------------

For this step you will need a USB flash drive and start on a clean computer.Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.===================================================

Entering into the System Recovery Options

Option #1

To enter System Recovery Options in Windows 8:If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt and skp the next two options.[/u]Option #2

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:Restart the computer.As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.Select English as the keyboard language sett... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552041/black-screen-with-cursor-no-boot/
Relevancy 95.46%

I need help and suggestions on what to do with this black screen crisis Mine is a little different that others so sorry if this is a repeated thread ive looked everywhere and no one has the issue when 7 Y560 windows in up logo" after Ideapad boot "black Lenovo screen they have dual boot laptop description I have dual boot on my laptop with windows ultimate bit and windows home premium bit the home premium came pre installed on the laptop and the ultimate version i installed later dual boot i needed some capabilities that home premium doesn't have Problem I cannot see anything on my screen after windows logo while booting up my laptop bcz of the black screen after the windows logo When i boot into WINDOWS HOME PREMIUM i hear windows logon screen notification noise but see nothing oddly Lenovo Ideapad Y560 "black screen in boot up after windows 7 logo" enough even my built in webcam logs me in with VeriFace software with my face passwordless ALSO my laptop boots fine with windows ultimate and i can see everything and it works great i need the other version to WORK cause my life is in that other version of windows i cannot factory restore What i have tried the keyboard is also unresponsive bcz i held down a bunch of keys to see if it makes the beep noise I closed the laptop lid to see if it goes into hibernation and waited mins to see if it still does so that when i open it i can see everything it has worked before nothing i rebooted a bunch of times even with a second screen attached tried to guess switch into projector mode with my function key and switch screen projector button i have also done a power cycle i think the registry is screwed or maybe the graphics card drivers are ruined have not done a registry repair through the other windows version doing that next i have defragged both partitions for both of the windows versions through the one that works What may have caused it the last time i used home premium i rebooted so that i can use the ultimate version for the extra capabilities i was not watching and it booted up in home premium and the built in cam is so fast that i merely looked at the laptop and it logged me in i was being unpatient bcz you have to wait for the lenovo programs to load before you can restart so i forced shut down very bad idea by holding the power button and booted up in ultimate finally while watching This is first time i've done this mistake which has now left my laptop half usable now i want to use the home premium version but this black screen is happening after the windows logo

A:Lenovo Ideapad Y560 "black screen in boot up after windows 7 logo"

Sounds like a corrupted file system, so try running chkdsk.

How to run System File Checker (SFC) or chkdsk from the Recovery ConsoleBoot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C and click Next
At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory
Run SFC or chkdskIf you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter (use the letter from above)
For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above).

Let either run to completion undisturbed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/254706-lenovo-ideapad-y560-black-screen-boot-up-after-windows-7-logo.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Hello all I have a problem obviously with my computer This computer is a new rig a display random after after drive logo, failure boot screen Black and even though i've been having Blue screens of Death at the beginning fixed thanks to this forum everything's been running perfectly Here are the specs to my computer running Windows Pro MOBO Asus p z -V Black screen after boot logo, after a random display drive failure PRO CPU Intel i- k RAM x gb cl Gskill Ripjaw i had but one of them was faulty so it was removed SSD Samsung gb OS Windows pro x HDD WD Caviar Black tb Heatsink Noctua NH-D PSU Antec HCP gold GPU MSI Radeon Twin FROZR i have a spare GeForce GT which i will get into details later My monitor is a Xstar quot p It has been running on overclock from hz to hz without any problems Now to the problem I've been having MAJOR problems with my WiFi The wifi adapter is the intergrated one from the Mobo WiFi Go which only has ghz So i was trying to find out how i could make my computer compatible with ghz I moved the case and i think the Dual DVI cable on the graphic card might have pulled just a bit and i see a popup on my monitor at the bottom right corner saying quot Display Driver has failed but recovered quot or something very similar Next thing i know my peripherals dont work anymore Screen seems frozen but i dont know for SURE that it was frozen might be just my peripherals that stopped working because i can't remember if there was an animated image still moving or not in one of the opened windows it's all very blurry at this point From what I know and what I can see with verifications made later on i don't think any updates have been done and no drivers were updated So I hard reset my computer and whadda ya know Windows logo shows and right after when i'm supposed to get the logon screen the monitor just turns black So i reset a couple of times and every time is the exact same problem The screen just goes black after the boot sequence Heres what i tried - Tried restoring from a restore point Didn't work - Tried in safe mode Computer boots up and works - - Tried uninstalling graphics drivers OK - - Tried reinstalling the drivers but the card was not recognized and the only way to get the drivers for my card is with an auto-detect from AMD So that didn't work - - When reebooting the computer screen goes black again - Tried reseating my card Didn't work - Tried the second DVI slot on my card Didn't work - Tried taking out the card and plugging a second monitor p because the korean one was not compatible with the iGPU to the intergrated gpu The computer boots up fine - I call ASUS customer support I explain the situation and the guy tells me to RMA my graphics card Which i do and I send it away Now I could've stopped there but since i JUST got into my weeks vacation from work and wanted to use a bit of that time to play a few games on the computer I tried running them with the iGPU As expected it it was barely acceptable for a low-end graphics game I then remembered I had another GPU GeForce GT in an older computer I gave to my girlfriend for her work Knowing it wasnt gonna be much improvement I still decided to try it out So i plug it in connect my p monitor to it And then that's when I realized that the GPU i sent back for RMA was NOT the problem Because it did the exact same thing for this GPU So i tried reinstalling the drivers for the Gefore which this time the install worked because it's not an autodetect but the problem was not solved Still a black screen I try to look around in forums some more and I can't seem to find anything that is like my situation I read somewhere that it was recommended to run Chkdsk f r or something When I did that in Safe Mode with networking it said it couldnt do it right away So it prompted me to ask if I wanted to schedule it on next startup To which I said yes Good god I inflicted myself another hours and an overnight of troubleshooting I was not able to reboot my computer and cancel the... Read more

A:Black screen after boot logo, after a random display drive failure

First try running Memtest86+: This runs from a boot disk or CD and should eliminate or confirm if your one or more of your memory sticks are bad.

Let it run for about 20 passes (An ideal test would be about an hour), if no errors by then your ram is OK.

Download the bootable .ISO from here: http://www.memtest.org/

How to create a bootable CD: How to Create a Boot Disk With Imgburn | eHow

Let me know if the software shows up with any errors. Please take a picture of it.

---------------

Next: Download Seagate Tools for DOS from here: SeaTools for DOS | Seagate

Once downloaded on another PC burn the software to a bootable CD.

Then on the broken PC boot to the Seagate Tools and run the short test.

If any errors take a picture and reply with the pictures.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/black-screen-after-boot-logo-after-a-random-display-drive-failure-703182.html
Relevancy 94.6%

I have an older machine that originally ran XP. The original hard drive was removed awhile ago, and I am attempting to resurrect it with a 320 GB HDD. I want to install Win10 fresh on it with the boot media, but it doesn't work, no matter what I do. Every time it boots it takes me to the black screen with the blue square logo, but then freezes. No loading circle below it, and it just sits there. I tried both x64 and x32 installs, disabled the graphics card and used the mobo for graphics output, and nothing changes it. How do I go about fixing this?

Link to product info: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00679523#AbT1
Detail on MOBO that is in the computer: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, A8N-LA (Nagami2) | HP Customer Support

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/51427-w10-usb-boot-media-stuck-black-screen-blue-squares-logo.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Hello everyone First of all I will divide my statement by sections so it would be easier to read Section The problem - description of it Section How I manage the problem "loading cursor" Black no on screen and screen with login Boot. Section Things and methods that I have tried - all unsuccessfully Section My own findings to help with further analysis So here we go Section Whenever I start windows it will boot normally up Black screen with "loading cursor" and no login screen on Boot. until Windows logo screen where balls meet to form windows logo at this logo screen I can already notice slow pace as it stays in it for a good minute Afterwards it will be just black screen for a minute Then mouse cursor will appear with faster sensitivity than my usual and it will transform into a loading wheel cursor after another minute And now it reached state in which it can stay for hours Only black screen and loading mouse wheel note that it is always spinning and I can always move it it is not frozen Section So the only way for me to login is to leave it be for at least about hours and it will start itself Usually I do this overnight and in the morning it is already at the desktop and works like nothing ever happened I can do whatever then everything will work perfectly fine Crysys works fine YouTube works fine - no trace of any problem So while I can always just Hibernate and sleep my PC I need to restart it sometimes EDIT Now after those hours or more it will simply display ordinary mouse pointer on a black screen and act as if I am in login screen For example it will sleep after mins of no movement and instantly wake up on activity Section So far I have tried those methods Clean boot All of F advanced boot options Only safe mode and repair windows work sfc scannow in Safe Mode Uninstalling video card driver and reinstalling with the latest compatible CCleaner while in normal mode Other anti virus and malware softwares Windows restore no back up point Deleting network drivers Reinstalling them Disabling all network related devices in the Device Manager Section While Fail Safe mode works neatly Fail safe mode with networking support loads but freezes after about seconds And won't unfreeze only mouse will be movable but everything will be irresponsive and will give me errors like shown on the post here below in the replies It appears to be happened after I downloaded windows update for Virtual machine support During the update I went away from my laptop when I left it was restarting itself to apply updates and when I came back hour later I found my laptop on the same black screen with loading mouse cursor I waited minutes more and forcefully restarted it And it was black screen again Since then I have uninstalled everything regarding that update and virtual machine through programs and features in the windows updates tab There were few times when I saw a BSOD after black screen stood for about hours But was unable to read them fast enough Sometimes the laptop monitor will change its brightness during black screen The laptop will restart itself after about hour of black screen and go into it again --- EDITs Sorry for the edits guys I am using Android to write this and I want my post to look both informative and easy to read --- I usually solve problems like this myself through hardcore researching and analysis but I fail on this one Thank you everyone who will try to help and suggest anything Thank you for your time ExacT

A:Black screen with "loading cursor" and no login screen on Boot.

It sounds like something is trying to load and run in the background.
Download DDS from one of these links:
DDS.com
DDS.pifDisable any script blocking protection
Double click the dds icon to run the tool.
When done, DDS will open two (2) logs: DDS.txt
Attach.txt <--- will be minimized in the task tray

Save both reports to your desktop.
Include the contents of both logs in your next post.
The scan will instruct you to post Attach.txt as an attachment. You can post both logs as attachments.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/344159-black-screen-loading-cursor-no-login-screen-boot.html
Relevancy 94.17%

OS - Windows bit SP Age of PC - months For the past weeks with on Win 64 in Black boot cold screen bit 7 cursor or so I have experienced a black screen with moveable mouse cursor when I boot first thing in the day The desktop just won't load I only fix this by shutting down using the Task Manager then tapping F when the PC reboots and doing 'Start Windows Normally' Then it loads fine though more slowly than normal The PC has been running very slowly also and in the past days something started switching off Black screen with cursor on cold boot in Win 7 64 bit my firewalls So - CHKDSK revealed one minor error which it fixed but did not resolve boot issue Scannow revealed nothing SuperAntispyware removed three Trojans in safe mode including autorun inf Trogan Agent Gen but same black screen and cursor at boot up next day Windows Startup Repair and Memory Scan revealed nothing and I have done the usual disk cleanups to ensure drive is not full I have GB free of a GB hard drive Scans with Sophos CCleaner and MalwareBytes again reveal nothing of consequence in safe mode I have now scanned with Ad-Aware SpyBot SuperAntispyware in safe mode again but they find nothing major although today the PC runs a little faster and firewall isn't switching off yet I also have problems installing Windows Updates and have numerous MS Office errors and 'not responding' issues including Firefox hangs and crashes and issues with Flash installation I have spent hours going round in circles so any help is greatly appreciated I can provide HiJackThis log if requested Thanks Churchheart

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/black-screen-with-cursor-on-cold-boot-in-win-7-64-bit-616914.html
Relevancy 94.17%

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop w/ Windows XP Home Edition. After I turn on the PC I see and hear it POST, then the Windows XP splash screen, then it hangs at a black screen with mouse pointer cursor. The cursor moves with the mouse movement. It will stay like this and not progress.
This is what I have tried:
1. Tried another known good video card.
2. Re-seated RAM
3. CHKDSK /R
4 Booted off XP Home CD, Repair Install (Not R to Recovery Console)
After files were removed and files copied the PC rebooted, Windows XP splash, then the black screen again.
5. FIXBOOT
6. FIXMBR

I think my next step would be to slave the disk and copy all important data off of it. Then remove the partition, create a new partition, format and install XP fresh.

Unless there is another way to fix this? What would cause this?

Andy

A:Boot to black screen w/ mouse cursor

Hi, something to try ...

Boot into System Setup (F2). Locate the Maintenance option and CMOS Defaults to restore the computer's factory-installed default settings.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/boot-to-black-screen-w-mouse-cursor-478246.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi,

I'm hoping any knowledgeable people here might be able to help me, please.

After a failed attempt to install Comodo Firewall (followed by me uninstalling it), my computer will no longer boot. It starts to load windows, and gets to the point of a black screen with a white cursor (just before the desktop is loaded), then tells me:

* lsass.exe failed to initialize properly

* services.exe failed to initialize properly

After each of these, I click OK. Then I'm left with a black screen.

I've tried Safe Mode, but I get the same two errors. I believe that System Restore was disabled (I can't believe I left it off after the last virus cleaning episode!).

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

A:XP Doesn't Boot. Cursor on black screen.

I have asked domeone to look.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/312020/xp-doesnt-boot-cursor-on-black-screen/
Relevancy 94.17%

I have an Intel DG31PR with 1 GB memory and Windows XP Home. When I turn the computer on the Intel logo and BIOS 2 settings appear then the screen goes back with a flashing cursor at the top left of the screen . I have to reboot several times before I can login. How do I stop this from happening? I am a novice, any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

A:Black screen with flashing cursor on boot

Hi, KayChase1.
Your problem sounds very unusual, but possibly related to your BIOS settings.
Have you tried entering the BIOS menu on boot, and checking that the first priority boot device is your main Hard-Drive, rather than a CD-ROM, etc...
It sounds to me like the computer is trying to boot from a location other than the disc where your OS is installed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-with-flashing-cursor-on-boot.736839/
Relevancy 94.17%

My problems arose yesterday morning when I went to turn on my computer and it would not boot up fully Long story Black cursor. Boot Issues: screen with short I found some advice online and tapped F while booting to get to the recovery menu I then when to the recovery options menu where I could open Command Prompt and ran a disk check which solved my problem for the time being Computer started up just fine Last night when I turned it off it had to install one update Which took about minutes which if found odd Well what do ya know this morning when I turned on my computer it started and froze at the windows logo screen for a few minutes then restarted and gave me the startup repair option Which I never even got the option of yesterday which I chose to do After a progress bar loaded I got nothing but a black screen and moveable cursor which was my problem yesterday Boot Issues: Black screen with cursor. I then proceeded to try and do the same thing I did yesterday to fix my problem however when I got to the F menu then tried to open the recovery options menu to get into command prompt the menu never loaded and after a progress bar I just got a black screen I have also tried the option of booting from last working setup to no avail If anyone has any idea of what I could do I would be extremely grateful Thanks

A:Boot Issues: Black screen with cursor.

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Do you hear any ticking from the PC itself?

Sounds like you have a failing hard drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/boot-issues-black-screen-with-cursor-698240.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Trying to help a friend fix their HP laptop While these symptoms are similar seen lots of quot close but not quite quot I haven't been able to fix it yet Hoping not to have to nuke it System starts to boot See the startup logo so I know there isn't a hardware problem After the startup logo animation screen goes black with just the cursor pointer You can see hard-drive activity so I know it is doing something If I press the power-button it goes to sleep I can press keys like Windows-P and select through things like which display to choose extend screen etc So again Windows seems to be functioning Even hooked up an external monitor and can move the cursor back and forth with W-P or the Fn key so video seems to work just fine Tried Safe Mode - same results It lists all the drivers being loaded and then goes black-screen I think the last one is usually disk sys Tried a Startup Repair - it says there isn't anything to repair Tried boot w/cursor after Black Screen b4 login Restore point - it says there aren't any restore points Tried Last Known Good Configuration - doesn't make any difference Tried VGA x more - nada I have booted from an install DVD and run chkdsk f - nothing wrong Tried running sfc scannow - mixed results By itself the command says a previous restore repair is in progress I found a discussion where someone with a similar program used a bunch of parms and that gets around this error However after chugging for a while I get the error quot Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation quot This is where I am currently stuck at This is a laptop and I have removed the HD and put into another system to perform A V and anti-malware scans They found one of the quot fake A V Black Screen w/cursor after boot b4 login - scarewares quot on it and removed it Black Screen w/cursor after boot b4 login Found some other junk in the temp Black Screen w/cursor after boot b4 login directories which I have emptied Thoughts Suggestions

A:Black Screen w/cursor after boot b4 login

Since I didn't get any replies and couldn't wait any longer and since every place I looked the answer boils down to a reinstall, I nuked it/over-installed Windows 7 and am rebuilding it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/177481-black-screen-w-cursor-after-boot-b4-login.html
Relevancy 94.17%

My wife was using my Acer Aspire Laptop B -BZ She was on facebook looking at some celebrity news when a message popped up that said something like harmful item detected She doesn't remember exactly She said the boot, screen, Black won't blinking tried cursor, everything message came in a little window down by the date and time in the bottom right a Windows message I assume Then the computer shut itself down Then it tried to turn itself back on but only came to a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the top right Every since then when the computer is turned on it goes to the black scree with blinking cursor Windows will not load I looked at some forums with advice on this problem I tried Black screen, blinking cursor, won't boot, tried everything changing the BIOS going through some F option when starting the computer Nothing worked So I put in the recovery CD Black screen, blinking cursor, won't boot, tried everything I chose to reset the computer back to factory settings in case it was some type of virus I wanted no trace of it Using the CD I successfully reset the computer back to factory settings I got a message that it was done succesfully and the computer would now restart The computer restarted but Went AGAIN to black screen blinking cursor Again and again that's all I get I even reset the computer using the recovery CD again Still after completing the reset it goes to black screen blinking cursor PLEASE HELP Thank you Jordan

A:Black screen, blinking cursor, won't boot, tried everything

Anyone???  Please.  I have no clue what to do.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/497856/black-screen-blinking-cursor-wont-boot-tried-everything/
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi I have Windows Vista Home Basic running on a Dell Dimension PC I had some memory problems and kept putting off upgrading the RAM and backing up my details on the PC its been a in mode & Black boot Screen Cursor any Cannot - completely reliable performer for the last three years However the other day it froze and after an hour of waiting I hit the power Black Screen & Cursor - Cannot boot in any mode button and tried to boot the machine back up I was then prompted to run the system repair which doesn't seem to have helped I tried to load Windows in Safemode Safemode with Networking Safemode with Command Prompt and Start Windows Normally None of which seem to work All I get is a black screen with the mouse cursor in the middle Like I said some of the data is NOT backed up and I do need to keep hold of it What Can I do to back up my data and what can I do to get Vista back up and running I know I could try a parallel installation but I'm hopeless with technology Is it possible to Black Screen & Cursor - Cannot boot in any mode remove the hard drive and place this into an enclosure with USB and plug it into a laptop to retrieve the data How easy is this to do If not what are the chances of repairing Vista to run And is there any reinstallation method that would keep hold of my data Thanks Mat

A:Black Screen & Cursor - Cannot boot in any mode

run dell diagnostics

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...2EE16785D39C5C

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-and-cursor-cannot-boot-in-any-mode-522542.html
Relevancy 94.17%

wHEN i BOOT UP i CAN SEE ALL THE OPERATION. WHEN i SHOULD GET A DESKTOP ALL i SEE IS THE CURSOR WHICH i CAN MOVE. tHE SCREEN IS bLACK. WHAT'S UP?

A:Black Screen At Boot But Have A Mouse Cursor

I think you can bring up the task manager (ctrl+alt+del).

The problem is that your explorer.exe is corrupted or does not get loaded. If you don't see explorer.exe in task manager, run it from File->new task->then type explorer.exe
But you have to make sure that explorer.exe loads every time. To do it,
copy the I386 folder from windows setup cd to you HDD.

while windows is booting, press F8 key and ADVANCED start up option will appear.
select SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT.

navigate to your windows directory.
then rename explorer.exe to explorer.bak or something.
Now go to the i386 directory.

use this command :

expand Explorer.ex_ x:\windows
// where 'x' is your drive letter where windows is installed.

now restart your PC and check the result.

But if you already see explorer.exe running. right click and 'end task' it. and then run the process afresh. This should be a temporary soln. After that do this,
From task manager,

click file then run and type MSCONFIG

On ther general tab

click Selecticve start up

uncheck the following: process system
process win
load startup items

then click on the services tab,

click on the HIDE all mircosoft services)located on the bottom. then uncheck all the boxes that remain.

restart your computer. everything should be ok, but 1 last step.

insert your xp disk and do a clean boot. clcik install , when it goes to install make sure it says UPDATE(recomended) or you will lose all your files. it should be there already . if it is do the update it will tkae about 1hour, and all your files will be there adn the problems fixed. You might have reinstall some of your programs. but all should be well.

even if your screen doesn't come up after loading explorer.exe again, you can perform the second soln. with a black screen.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-at-boot-but-have-a-mouse-cursor-262281.html
Relevancy 94.17%

I have seen some similar problems like mine posted here but I am not sure how to proceed so here it goes This is on a Dell Latitude D laptop I caught Palladium trying to install itself so I did not want to let it finish Taskmanager was already disabled and a shut down attempt resulted in a hang so I held the power switch till it forced a power down On reboot after that I attempted to boot, cursor screen after & POST XP OEM no black boot to safe mode but hitting F did not get me to the safe mode menu All I get is the black screen with no text and the flashing cursor Subsequent attempts to boot produce the same result The only options I have are F and F both of which work fine I can boot from a CD or an external floppy I have a near identical laptop that I have been working on but I want my programs The XP no boot, black screen & cursor after OEM POST hard drive from the problem computer works fine in an external housing but not to boot While I had it in the external housing I ran Malwarebytes to rid myself of the remnants of the Palladium When I put it in the good computer I XP no boot, black screen & cursor after OEM POST get the same results When I put the good HD in the problem computer it boots fine but with driver issues I guess it s not identical I copied the MBR from the good HD with MBRtool but it will not load the OS with that MBR so XP no boot, black screen & cursor after OEM POST I reloaded the backed-up MBR I also tried the Windows recovery console fixMBR It also didn t let the OS boot I started to do a Repair Install but I quit at the HD partition page It seems the instructions on MS s site skip a step and I got nervous at that point Like I said I really just want to save my programs or the time to re-install to tell the truth Should I just charge ahead with the repair install or try again to fix the MBR with TestDisk The other option is to do a clean install but is there a way to transfer my programs I ll shut up now Thanks if you can help I can post the logs from Malwarebytes when I get to the office if that helps but it seems to me that the problem is not there I have to revise some of the above I did the external housing and scan last week so I messed up some of the details Malwarebytes would not scan any drive but C I guess that comes with the full version So because I was working of an external housing I scanned it with MS SE which would scan the external drive Then I followed the manual extraction dirrections for Palladium and deleated all the vestiges I could find I haven t fixed the registry yet because I still can t boot with it MS SE found some other things but no Palladium so maybe I ran that after manually deleting the files I could find It was last week Attached is a screen shot for the MS SE history I didn t see where it allowed an export of the logs If this is the wrong forum please move my posts I had just read a case very similar to mine here and thought this forum would fit Another thing I did was to check the boot ini file and it is the same as my good computer I even coppied the ntldr system file from my good computer None of these has worked EDIT Posts merged BP

A:XP no boot, black screen & cursor after OEM POST

Hi,Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. Click the Watch This Topic button at the top on the right.

Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

Please reply to this post so I know you are there.The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/375777/xp-no-boot-black-screen-cursor-after-oem-post/
Relevancy 94.17%

My laptop is stuck at the boot screen with a black screen and the mouse cursor on there. I cant get into task manager, safe mode still has the same problem and i have tried booting from the Vista CD to do a repair but it comes up 'windows is loading files' and then just goes to the black screen with the mouse cursor again!

A:Black screen with mouse cursor on boot

Hello ToonArmy,

You might be able to do a factory recovery of Vista. If your not sure of how to do a factory recovery, then post back with what brand is your laptop and I'll be happy to see if I can wrangle up some instructions from your laptop manufacturer's website for you.

Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/232694-black-screen-mouse-cursor-boot.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi this cursor no black screen, boot; to Fails is my first time to post a problem I usually figure things out but I'm stumped I have a Toshiba Tecra Tablet laptop w XP not sure which probably Pro because it was a corporate computer before me it has a gb HD that has only about space on it though I can't figure out why it's so full as I've removed scads of programs and it doesn't seem to empty and my entire desktop of documents pics etc is only about - gigs I recently backed it up to an external USB drive - luckily It has MB of RAM on one MB and one GB Here's the problem It won't boot to anything at all When I start it the HD light comes on then goes to dim I can feel the HD running it's just not seeking This a m it was running I went to work came home it wouldn't boot beyond black so for the hell of it I pulled the HD and memory and polished the contacts It reminded me of a problem I had Fails to boot; black screen, no cursor with a desktop waybackwhen when a video card wasn't seating properly and was preventing the boot sequence from progressing Fails to boot; black screen, no cursor and seating it fixed the problem Perhaps coincidentally it then started and ran A little later it quot lost quot all Wi-Fi connections saying it couldn't enable the card or a PCMCIA card I plugged in so I restarted Then it wouldn't reboot and messing with HD and memory didn't help Twice in all my restart attempts it did write a line to the screen saying quot PCI express error quot with a flashing cursor below but wouldn't respond to any inputs I could disconnect and reconnect the VGA card but it requires a greater degree of disassembly than I'm willing to do on spec b c the heat sink fastens from underneath the keyboard If someone says YEAH replace the card then I would probably go to the trouble It will spin up the CD-ROM but nothing else happens A few possible clues Twice or three times over the last few months the screen has suddenly gone haywire - with crazy fantastic color patterns they'd make great wallpaper I had to reboot but rebooting was routine The most recent instance was Sunday Also the handrest area on the left above the HD has run so hot sometimes that I had to put a freezer bag under it It was almost hot enough to burn the first time it happened Lately it has been running cooler perhaps because I defragged it I took the back off the computer tonight and the video card an nVidia which has its own fan is under the keyboard several inches from where the heat was greatest I checked the fan and it operates fine though I haven't seen it go on automatically The CPU fan works fine and frequently It has been quot losing quot devices with increasing regularity recently including simple USB devices like a Logitech mouse which I had to reinstall a few days ago I tried to reinstall repair XP thinking it had become corrupted and though I have an original genuine XP disk which came with the computer but I can't verify it's THE original disk when I entered the code it said it wasn't valid so I couldn't repair Is there a way to get a proper code and or working disk There are about processes running I managed to get rid of a few by uninstalling programs but most just sit there impervious to anything but manually terminating them The CPU runs reaaaaaaaly slow sometimes I presume as a result I ran a new copy of Webroot and there were no problems RegCure says I have a hundred-odd problems but won't fix them b c my subscription ran out and I hadn't yet renewed it I had planned to do that this week I can't think of anything else that might be useful Anyone have any ideas I would very much appreciate any help you could give me - I really like the computer and can't afford to get another Thanks Daniel Wolf

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fails-to-boot-black-screen-no-cursor-188684.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Computer was running fine 2 days ago; now can't boot. Running XP Pro, but system goes right to a black screen with a flashing cursor. Can't get into bios.
Can't type anything...even tried holding down all different Function keys..I can hear the hard drive and fan...CONFUSED

Relevancy 94.17%

Hi I desperately need help The Stalls black cursor at boot! pro with 8 Win won't screen last time I used my pc I installed a couple of games uninstalled pokki cos it seemed too resource hungry used jet drive to defrag the whole hd in deepest mode I tried to install Asia thermal reader manually cos it wasn't installing from the disc that came with my saber tooth fx mobo after installing the win updated version Think it said cant install on this version of windows although it did install when I'd just upgraded to win Weird I think Win 8 pro won't boot! Stalls at black screen with cursor windows had installed a few updates when it shut down or maybe the restart before All I know is I'd left jet drive doing its thing which claims to be win compatible and I'd told it to shut down when finished I came back Win 8 pro won't boot! Stalls at black screen with cursor to my pc later and the screen was on the start screen waiting for me to click a button so it wud open the login section This suggests it restarted instead of shutting down or restarted cos it crashed during defragging I clicked so I cud log in and it was unresponsive Win 8 pro won't boot! Stalls at black screen with cursor Cudnt press Ctrl-alt-del or anything so had to reset It rebooted and went to windows icon and spinny balls started coming up but then paused and pc wud boot no further I put win disc in n chose to repair hd but it said it cudnt repair I opened up command prompt n I'd disk check which found nothing I did a full disk check rechecking for bad sectors etc and repairing offline n it found nothing still I did sfc scannow n it said some files were corrupted n it had repaired them I rebooted n now it doesn't even get to win icon just stays at black screen with text cursor on not blinking cursor I just don't know what to do I've seen some ideas like turning off dynamic ticks my sea gate tb hd won't update firmware to latest and I'm not sure it's most reliable as I've had to repair it a couple of times so far- cause being hd or win hd light sometimes stays on for ages n I get freezes for a time intermittently Other ideas were turning off fast startup but haven't tried either of these ideas yet Also booting in safe mode but don't know how to do that when pc doesn't boot very far into windows Tried to revert to restore point from win disc but needs to be done from hd with win on a dumb idea considering I can't boot to win on hd Win used to come up with screen saying boot safe mode normal repair or restore point and I'd try a few n it wud get going again quickly n just work Win is pants at helping users get up n running again quickly if it relies on pc being able to get so far into windows system before u can choose all these options Please help I hope all this makes sense but if not please query things n ill try to explain better Thank you everyone in advance Steve

A:Win 8 pro won't boot! Stalls at black screen with cursor

Sounds like your hard drive partition might be corrupt, or deleted. You did a upgrade to keep all your files. But if your disk failed, your those files are lost. I would try a fresh install onto the Drive after a format. Next time if anything back up your files onto a removable hdd.

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/14021-win-8-pro-wont-boot-stalls-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 94.17%

HP Pavilion 753n, Win XP migration problem.
A failing hard disc required that the old XP drive be imaged (ghosted) and migrated over to a new Maxtor. Power up the PC after this was done and am presented with a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner.
OK, probably a MBR and bootsector problem. I fire up my Win2K Upgrade CD and select Repair and Console. Instruct it to fixboot and fixmbr. Reboot and get the same black screen with blinking cursor. Interestingly this repair procedure has worked fine in the past. Knowing that the MBR points to the boot sector and starts the whole NTLoader process going, I am left scratching my head as to why it refuses to do anything. No errors, nothing.
Anyone got any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-boot-black-screen-blinking-cursor-no-joy.396737/
Relevancy 94.17%

after I just installed windows and rebooted after installed nbsp updates nbsp and drivers I get a black screen with the mouse cursor working but nothing happens nbsp I cant get past this after starting windows icon the black screen comes up with the mouse and nothing is responding I have tried everything F and system restore and CMD and boot repair and removing battery and safe mode does not work either Black with boot cursor after mouse screen and I tried to connect another monitor but the screen shows the same black screen with the mouse cursor at every boot I try I am not able to enter bios I press F but no bios and pressing F does not work either And pressing alt F only gives NOEXECUTE OPTION and some texts I cant boot from the windows disk either since I cant choose boot options There is nothing wrong with the hardware for sure I just have a black screen with the mouse cursor I have tried everything all sorts of command lines in CMD nothing gets me back to windows I have tried to get it to boot up to CD drive so I can reinstall but as I said cant go to bios or nbsp F or ALT f and I dont have backup just istalled windows and all was well windows update for drivers reboot then boom this happens and I been stuck for days now has to be an update that made this happen can anyone pease help me Black screen with mouse cursor after boot nbsp nbsp acer aspire V - series nbsp nbsp nbsp

A:Black screen with mouse cursor after boot

Hello johnquinn,

You should read this topic (Chigers): black screen - flash bios V5-571
You have the same setup bios utility (V5-531 or V5-571): Phoenix SecureCore Tiano BIOS

To summarize:
1- Download the bios file on the acer support website
2- If it's necessary (Windows version), extract the self-extratible file (*.exe) contained in the zip
    file with 7-zip
3- Format an USB flash drive to FAT or FAT32
4- Copy all files on this one (contained in the Dos or Windows(#2) folder)
5- Follow the instructions of Chigers to recorver the bios

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-7/Black-screen-with-mouse-cursor-after-boot/td-p/334412/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 94.17%

I need help getting this Vista laptop to boot back into windows It had a virus once removed it would no longer boot I'm thinking the boot process is messed up because when it starts up it shows in the boot selection WINPE RAMDISK and Vista Home Premium Well when I goto WINPE it takes me to the recovery manager so I ran sfc scannow chkdsk and claims to have fixed some errors Well try to boot into the main OS and still just sits at a black screen after the loading screen and before the login screen and can move the cursor in normal boot and safe mode I've found some possible solutions of pressing ctrl alt dlt and nothing happens tried pressing shift times get the sound but still shows nothing I cant reformat it yet until I get the files backed up I tried using the file backup system in the recovery manager but onces its done gathering the files it says to insert USB and I do but won't ever recognize it I've tried inserting it before the file scan and same ending result I've checked the BIOS to make sure USB was enabled but I believe the virus is preventing me from fully accessing the BIOS can't get off the main to view anything else Its weird though because it just let me view everything a few minutes prior only screen to black cursor with will Vista boot now it won't let me I've tried boot fix and all that stuff and no go still stuck Needing help

A:Vista will only boot to black screen with cursor

You can try this Back Up Data without Booting to Vista[11]=Backup%20Restore

There is another way using the vista disc. But I can not find it.

Hope I was some help.

Jimmy

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293961-vista-will-only-boot-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 94.17%

after I just installed windows and rebooted after installed nbsp updates boot with screen mouse Black after cursor nbsp and drivers I get a black screen with the mouse cursor working but nothing happens nbsp I cant get past this after starting windows icon the black screen comes up with the mouse and nothing is responding I have tried everything F and system restore and CMD and boot repair and removing battery and safe mode does not work either and I tried to connect another monitor but the screen shows the same black screen with the mouse cursor at every boot I try I am not able to enter bios I press F but no bios and Black screen with mouse cursor after boot pressing F does not work either And pressing alt F Black screen with mouse cursor after boot only gives NOEXECUTE OPTION and some texts I cant boot from the windows disk either since I cant choose boot options There Black screen with mouse cursor after boot is nothing wrong with the hardware for sure I just have a black screen with the mouse cursor I have tried everything all sorts of command lines in CMD nothing gets me back to windows I have tried to get it to boot up to CD drive so I can reinstall but as I said cant go to bios or nbsp F or ALT f and I dont have backup just istalled windows and all was well windows update for drivers reboot then boom this happens and I been stuck for days now has to be an update that made this happen can anyone pease help me nbsp nbsp acer aspire V - series nbsp nbsp nbsp

A:Black screen with mouse cursor after boot

Hello johnquinn,

You should read this topic (Chigers): black screen - flash bios V5-571
You have the same setup bios utility (V5-531 or V5-571): Phoenix SecureCore Tiano BIOS

To summarize:
1- Download the bios file on the acer support website
2- If it's necessary (Windows version), extract the self-extratible file (*.exe) contained in the zip
    file with 7-zip
3- Format an USB flash drive to FAT or FAT32
4- Copy all files on this one (contained in the Dos or Windows(#2) folder)
5- Follow the instructions of Chigers to recorver the bios

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-7/Black-screen-with-mouse-cursor-after-boot/td-p/334412
Relevancy 94.17%

I have been trying to troubleshoot a drive for days i OS blinking boot!! screen, won't Black cursor!! am able to recognize and use all of my data when i throw it on as a slave on any other machine however there is something seriously wrong with the boot sequence or something I havve tried repairing it with the windows disc i have tried recovering also I have used Norton Ghost to try to fix it etc I think its something to do with the master boot record or OS won't boot!! Black screen, blinking cursor!! something in there When i try to boot from that drive i get a black screeen immediately after my bios finishes loading and keyboard is frozen and there is a blinking cursor in the top right All i am really concerned with is saving all of my program data licenses is OS won't boot!! Black screen, blinking cursor!! there anyway i can transfer at once all of my programs and stuff i need from one drive to a new gb drive i have with XP already on it Ghost offers to duplicate my HDD image onto another drive but that erases all of the data on that drive Can i look up via the new OS won't boot!! Black screen, blinking cursor!! working OS on the gb machine what i am missing to boot properly on the faulty machine If you choose to answer this please take your time and answer fully as I won't be able to check any replies for a few hours and you may not be able to reply again when im back Thankyou so much anyone who can help

A:OS won't boot!! Black screen, blinking cursor!!

First, I'd backup all the data. Since you mention GHOST, I'd make an image of the failing drive with GHOST and save that image file. That allows you to access any/all of your data at least. Also, having an image file on a different disk will allow you to make a mistake in the recovery process and just go back to where you are now.

GHOST won't transfer your data, etc. and allow you to "overlay" your other XP installation with just part of it. A clone operation erases the destination completely, which is probably not what you want.

Have you downloaded the disk manufacturer's diagnostic and done a non-destructive surface scan on the failing disk? Before we attempt any repairs, it would be nice to know that the disk is healthy.

If it passes the scan, I'd try a repair installation of XP. Install the disk as the primary, and boot from the XP CD. Don't choose the recovery console option, but rather continue as if you were installing XP. It should come up and tell you that there is an existing installation, and ask if you want to overwrite it or install in a new place. You want to overwrite the existing installation with the repair installation. This should leave all of your applications intact, though you will have to reload all service packs and security patches.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/os-wont-boot-black-screen-blinking-cursor-48886.html