Windows Support Forum

Lost Admin user account when made non admin account

Q: Lost Admin user account when made non admin account

I just user when admin non made Lost Admin account account made a non admin user account on my Dell Inspiron windows xp laptop When I went online to sign in under my account admin it is no longer there My name Penne is there and Lost Admin user account when made non admin account so is my daughters I click on my name put my password in and it takes me to the desktop for my daughter and ALL my stuff is gone PLEASE HELP I have googled this and the only thing Lost Admin user account when made non admin account I am seeing is that you need to sign in under an Admin user account to fix this and get my stuff back THere is Lost Admin user account when made non admin account NO admin user account so how can I get it all back I did the F and went to restore to previous point and that didnt work I know there is a way to go to the restore calendar and find a day that her user account was not on there like last week so this might work but I dont know how to find this PLEASE help as all of my EVERYTHING is on my user account and I am lost without it all have a retreat this weekend and I need all of my sheet music and my songs Thanks so much PENNE nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Lost Admin user account when made non admin account

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 102.3%

Hello, can someone help me?!?!? One of the user acounts on my computer has been deleted, with everything attached to it! Can I get it back????

A:Lost User Account - System Admin

Here is a Microsoft Article explaining how to recover a deleted user profile.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/75511/lost-user-account-system-admin/
Relevancy 101.37%

Hi,
I have been looking for this answer for 2 days and can not find anyone who has had similair problem.

THere are 2 accounts Administrator and Kenmystro/administrator. I have the password for both and can access both. win 7 Ultimate Hp8510.
I have already selected all user permissions and taken ownership in every box I could find for Kenmystro/admin. the UAC is at minimum and the security centre is off. Run as admin on right click does not help.
It does not matter which of the 2 accounts I log into when I try install certain HP software(Maintenance
& some drivers) it says I do not have admin privileges.

This is driving me nuts can anyone help??

Relevancy 101.06%

Well I has playing around with netplwiz in order to at least try remove the password need when I log into the computer I've managed to take out the password in the login but now the rights only in computer admin in the Lost account user the only account existent in the computer no longer has the admin rights and it's listed as guest account It wouldn't be that much of a problem if the UAC didn't prompted me every now and then like when I try to run exe files or do things that require Lost admin rights in the only user account in the computer admin rights and asked for the admin password which is quot blank quot as Lost admin rights in the only user account in the computer there is no digit in it Not only that but also there's nowhere to quot type quot the password in the UAC prompt Is there anyway to solve this I'm willing to do things as re-install windows but no format because I don't want to lose my file If you guys could show me a way to solve this without re-installing windows it would be much appreciated Thanks in advance Henrique

A:Lost admin rights in the only user account in the computer

Originally Posted by henriquelicori

Well, I has playing around with netplwiz in order to (at least try) remove the password need when I log into the computer. I've managed to take out the password in the login, but now the only account existent in the computer no longer has the admin rights and it's listed as guest account. It wouldn't be that much of a problem if the UAC didn't prompted me every now and then (like when I try to run .exe files or do things that require admin rights) and asked for the admin password (which is "blank", as there is no digit in it). Not only that but also there's nowhere to "type" the password in the UAC prompt.
Is there anyway to solve this? I'm willing to do things as re-install windows, but no format because I don't want to lose my file. If you guys could show me a way to solve this without re-installing windows it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Henrique.

I think I would move that file you don't want to lose to an external drive or to the cloud before you loose it.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/35729-lost-admin-rights-only-user-account-computer.html
Relevancy 101.06%

I did the following; tried to fix my user account because of network problems, so I created a new administrator account. I used this account to delete my admin user account. I thought only the files relative to the account profile would be deleted. Disaster! all my files were deleted, Word, Excel, outlook, desktop items, emails, everything. I downloaded PC Inspector to try and recover and cannot find anything. Can anybody help? Years of work and records gone!

A:Deleded admin user account - lost all files!

Try this program, it is free. http://www.recuva.com/
Also, didn't you ever backup your system. Get a portable hard drive and do monthly backups on it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/deleded-admin-user-account-lost-all-files-388520.html
Relevancy 100.44%

Hi

Ive stumbled across a problem that has been causing me grief for a few days now, every time I try to access my hard drive (C disk) it says, access is denied. Also, i cant edit permissions because I've lost admin rights. Ive tried many things including unlocking the system admin, this lets me access a few extra things like being able to use the sfc command in cmd, however, it doesn't allow me to access the C disk or change permission because it also has lost admin rights? I fear that this is a bad problem and I don't know how it happened. I have tried restoring to a previous date and that doesn't work either.

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shimin4tor

A:[SOLVED] Access denied to C disk and lost admin rights to system admin account

Hi and welcome to TSF so you have tried win 7 hidden admin Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista
have you installed or downloaded anything in the recent past

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-access-denied-to-c-disk-and-lost-admin-rights-to-system-admin-account-693530.html
Relevancy 100.13%

Hello All I'm delighted No to accounts change /Cannot Admin admin user account existing Access to have found you and after a long day of trying to help myself i am now requiring your much appreciated assistance please I'm not a techy person at all and am hoping someone can help Last week my husband purchased a new hp laptop which No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account came with Windows On setup i used my No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account microsoft account to login with a pin the account was setup as administrator No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account thinking i could change things later About days later i added a standard user account for my husband with a microsoft account login with pin I wanted to make his the administrator account but thought i had better change mine to a standard account first My mistake Now i cannot change anything i have tried to use the cmd prompt to run as administrator - it asks for administrator permission and does not allow me to enter a password or yes I have tried all suggestions to enable the hidden windows account but all ask for the same permission I have tried to go to setup recovery troubleshoot advanced option system restore - it requests an administrator password and when i entered what i thought is mine it does not work Feeling a little Does anybody know anyway i can go back in time to start again or how do i access administrator rights as i really need to add programs etc Thank you for any help given

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/61945-no-admin-access-cannot-change-existing-user-accounts-admin-account.html
Relevancy 97.34%

Hey, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop and I need help getting my Standard user account back to Administrator. I can't run certain programs and I also can't install and uninstall anything. I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restore. I have already tried Safe Mode and I can't enable and built in admin either. Please help me! Thank you!

A:How can I put my Standard user account back to Administrator when the ASP.NET Machine account is admin?

How are you trying to change the type of account?I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restoreDo you mean System Restore? If you are, you don't need the installation disk to do this.To use System Restore click on the start orb. In the search box type in System Restore. In the list of results click on System Restore, if you are prompted for an administrator password type it in.Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479959/how-can-i-put-my-standard-user-account-back-to-administrator-when-the-aspnet-machine-account-is-admin/
Relevancy 97.34%

I'm the only user on this laptop and my admin account to Profile/Account User admin problem (can't account) login original was called quot HybridPC quot and I disabled the windows login screen Turn computer on and goes right to desktop One day the welcome screen popped up out of nowhere and I had to login I tried disabling the login screen to where it was before and now I've screwed things up royally I cannot login to my original admin account or find it All the files are still there on my C Users HybridPC folder but I've lost the profile and user I think I messed things up further by trying to create delete other new user accounts I've attached screenshots showing my C users folder User account screen and the netplwiz exe profiles I've been adding deleting and can't get back to square one I don't see my user at all on the welcome screen Thanks for your help Top User Folder is new today and odd looking as I was attempting to fix on my own

A:User Profile/Account problem (can't login to original admin account)

Hello tytlyf, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Let's start to see if you disabled or deleted your "HybridPC" by using the tutorial below to get details about all accounts on your computer while you are logged in to your "Admin" account, then post back with them. Afterwards, we can go from there.

User Accounts - View Detailed Information About in Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/357762-user-profile-account-problem-cant-login-original-admin-account.html
Relevancy 97.34%

I installed a few programs last night and I lost all my admin privileges I m using an account that has admin rights and yet these happened - run button in the lost account admin privileges! Admin start menu has disappeared Admin account lost admin privileges! - turn off button has also disappeared I can only log off - I cannot run the task manager when I press ctrl-alt-del - some sys tray applications stopped being started up with the windows skype msn messenger icq adobe lightroom daemontools - when I load Adobe Photoshop CS I get this message that says quot You are not allowed to continue because your account does not have administrator privileges quot - I m sure there re more things waiting to be discovered But the thing is my account has admin status I ve run adaware to clear out all spyware already I m attaching a HijackThis log can anyone help see what s wrong Code Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe E Win Utilities Microsoft Activesync wcescomm exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe E Win Utilities Launchy Launchy exe E Win UTILIT MICROS rapimgr exe E Win Utilities NOD nod krn exe E Win Internet Tools Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe E Win Internet Tools eMule emule exe C WINDOWS system mmc exe E Win Utilities NOD nod kui exe C WINDOWS system mmc exe C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe E Win Utilities HijackThis HijackThis exe R - URLSearchHook no name - F B - D - fe - A -BBB - no file O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - E Win Utilities Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Toolbar no name - E E AB-F - D - D - BA E - no file O - HKLM Run IMJPMIG - quot C WINDOWS IME imjp IMJPMIG EXE quot Spoil RemAdvDef Migration O - HKLM Run MSPY -C WINDOWS system IME PINTLGNT ImScInst exe SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME ASync -C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME A -C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMEName O - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck -C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run ICQ Lite - quot E Win Internet Tools ICQLite ICQLite exe quot -minimize O - HKLM Run BigDog -C WINDOWS VM STI EXE VIMICRO USB PC Camera ZC O - HKLM Run Phase One Media Reader -E Win Graphics CAPTUR DCIMImp exe noscan CheckAutoStart O - HKLM Run CTHelper -CTHELPER EXE O - HKLM Run CTxfiHlp -CTXFIHLP EXE O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched - quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run Adobe Photo Downloader - quot E Win Graphics Lightroom apdproxy exe quot O - HKLM Run nod kui - quot E Win Utilities NOD nod kui exe quot WAITSERVICE O - HKCU Run MsnMsgr - quot C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe quot background O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run MSMSGS - quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot background O - HKCU Run H PC Connection Agent quot E Win Utilities Microsoft Activesync wcescomm exe quot O - HKCU Run Skype quot C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe quot nosplash minimized O - Global Startup Launchy lnk E Win Utilities Launchy Launchy exe O - Extra context menu item amp ICQ Toolbar Search - res E Win Internet Tools ICQToolbar toolbaru dll SEARCH HTML O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra button Create Mobile Favorite - EAF BB - F- D - - C FAE D F - E Win UTILIT MICROS INetRepl dll O - Extra button no name... Read more

Relevancy 97.03%

Hi does anyone know what happens if I mistakenly deleted a user account When I open my computer then right click on the quot This pc quot there is a option called quot Manage quot Then under manage there are user accounts I mistakenly deleted the quot Administrators quot group from my current account Only left is standard user group The admin account is password protected and I have the password Is it possible to log into the admin account and changed Accidentaly user account account to admin standard change promote back my current account I did try to right click quot manage quot but I get this window attached file with no place to put the password That is slightly annoying I was trying to reassign myself back in the admin group I was thinking of making an account which can modify all items such adding hardware and items under quot Device manager quot etc but just limit to not being able to just make a new admin full access account Seems that deleting the admin solves the Accidentaly changed admin account to standard user account not being able to make a new account but in the process I'm locked out from the admin settings Is it possible to create a super-user account just limiting not being able to make new user accounts and have access to all such as device manager It would be nice to not have to log into admin account just to check newly installed hardware Currently on standard user I am unable to go to quot device manager quot and other admin based stuff with that admin shield logo Thanks

A:Accidentaly changed admin account to standard user account

From desktop, hold CTRL+ALT then press DEL keyClick on Switch UserType: Administrator and enter the passwordOnce you are in, Win+X->Command Prompt(Admin)Type: net localgroup administrators username /add <======== replace username with your namesign out and sign back in with your name.

NOTE: In step 3, I Assume that you have the built in Admin turned on and you said you have the password.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/47233-accidentaly-changed-admin-account-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 97.03%

I have a set of folder I encrypted from my user account. I haven't figured out how to access them from my admin account.

In reverse, while logged on my admin account, I droppped some files into folder encrypted by my user account. I can't access those files when I log on as a user.

How can I get access to all my encrypted files regardless of which logon I use?

A:Access my user account encrypted files from my admin account?

Umm...if you could access encrypted files from another user that would remove the whole point of encrypting the files to begin with.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/180997-access-my-user-account-encrypted-files-my-admin-account.html
Relevancy 97.03%

I ve just installed a new copy of Windows Ultimate By default the first user account as declared in windows setup is set at administrator level I want to run this main account as a standard user but when I went to change this in account settings the option to change the account to standard was greyed out I decided to enable the administrator account to change this hidden user, account Run account with standard as main admin computer management local Run main account as standard user, with admin account hidden users and groups un-ticked account is disabled I logged on as administrator then changed the main account to standard As the Administrator account is now enabled it shows on the welcome screen I don t want this I went back and disabled it running computer management as admin in the now standard account and re-ticked account is disabled technically this should be how it was before I touched it except the main account is now at standard user level rather than administrator level The problem i have now is when trying to run anything on the standard account that needs admin rights i get the UAC box asking to enter admin password which is blank but there is no administrator icon or password field and the yes button is greyed out How can I have my main account as standard user the administrator account not showing on welcome screen but allowing it admin to authorise actions on the standard account that required admin rights via UAC i e when UAC comes up I can click yes to run as administrator At the moment the correct process happens but yes is greyed out when the admin account is disabled When the admin account is enabled this works yes button not greyed out but the administrator account shows on the welcome screen which i don t want

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/482436/run-main-account-as-standard-user-with-admin-account-hidden/
Relevancy 96.41%

I am trying to create a non admin user account, which I know how to do the simple way, however I have been using the admin user account for a while now however I want to transfer/copy program setting, etc to this knew user account.

so I want to: create a non admin user account which is duplicate of the current existing admin account but from her on to install software etc I install under admin account.

I am using Vista too

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
David Lambie

A:How do I copy existing admin user account to normal user account

I would
> Create the new profile with admin privileges
> Transfer stuff things to the new profile (see here)
> Then remove admin privilege from the new account

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-copy-existing-admin-user-account-to-normal-user-account.146098/
Relevancy 96.1%

My computer was set up using a single user account with admin privileges and all apps have been installed. In order to minimize the virus threat I now want to create a user account without admin privileges, but be able to access all apps and itunes library that I have already installed using the admin account.

Please let me have a step by step method how I should set about doing this

My system : i3 windows 8.1 4GB RAM 500GB HD

Thankyou

A:How 2 transfer apps from Admin account to ltd user account

I'd go to Control Panel, Users Account and add a new Standard account. The new name only has to be one character different. The new account should be able to do most things but will be quite limited in making changes to the computer.
How Microsoft Overhauled User Accounts In Windows 8
I'd leave the existing account alone, should always have at least one that has administrative rights. There is an actual Administrator account but it is hidden on purpose.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/59044-how-2-transfer-apps-admin-account-ltd-user-account.html
Relevancy 96.1%

I have always been running admin and even until now I run as admin. But, I have been doing a little bit of research and realize that using a standard account is a safer practice. I have never even used a standard account. Is using a standard account a better practice? Also, how does doing average task such as installing programs and updating work through the standard user account?

A:Using default admin account vs standard user account

Its safer to always run programs with lower privileges, and run as administrator when needed. Personally, I like my UAC set to the max. Basically, it stops programs from messing with your PC without permission.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192765-using-default-admin-account-vs-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 96.1%

hello every one
I was hoping if some one could help me at this.
I had created a local account in my machine which is a part of a small office network. and given it administrative rights. every once in a while the account gets downgraded to a limited user account and a I had to go all the way to control panel to reset the settings for that specific user account. I tried background check on the machine to check it for possible malware or virus infection but couldn't find anything.
could it be the user profile settings getting changed athomatically due several usages or could it be log file getting full or needs to be cleared?
so much in need for help

A:admin account gets downgraded to limited user account

possibly because that comp didnt come with Ultimate and when it re-activates, it uses the true Admin account and resets the others.

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/398805-admin-account-gets-downgraded-limited-user-account.html
Relevancy 96.1%

After installing windows home I logged in with whatever default account there is I then logged in with my Microsoft account to pull down some settings but then switched over to a local account so nothing else gets synced Things have since been working fine until this qualifies now in admin built the as user account account My morning Now for some My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account reason my user account is recognized as the built-in admin account My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account and I can not longer My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account run any of the modern apps that I downloaded or those that come preinstalled including edge the cmd command net users lists my account as the defaultAccount so at least that's consistent I have tried the solution offered here Settings can t be opened using the Built-in Administrator account in Windows - Super User to no success I am unable to begin the prompt to create a new user account located in settings gt accounts gt Family amp Other Users Which brings the to point of me having no idea what to do I can't create a new account to transition to I can't give my account the ability to run these apps which is preferred

A:My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account

Hi, press the win + r key's together in the run dialogue box type:- lusrmgr.msc press OK, expand Users find your account and right click, select properties, what is it a member of? Do you have other accounts?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/my-user-account-now-qualifies-as-the-built-in-admin-account-1115449.html
Relevancy 94.55%

My User account is missing...Loads up a default admin account.. Help

I went out to eat something into the kitchen for abotu 15 minutes and I come back to see my computer on a non responsive black blank screen, I pop in my windows CD and for some reason it just decides to finish up an install.

Then windows (XP) and my user account is missing, it just loaded up a default admin account with my user name. But still the hard drive shows up as having all my info... Help anyone?
Thanks...

I just ran lavasoft and AVG this morning as well.

A:Help? My Admin account is gone and windows made a new one

Hi Jay J

It sounds like you've accidentally run an in-place repair re-installation of XP, which may have overwritten much of your earlier system files, and possibly some (or all) of the data in the "Documents and Settings" folders for your previous accounts.

If you are exceptionally lucky, you'll still be able to access your older documents, photos, videos, and music - especially if they were stored on a separate partition or drive. It's fairly possible, however, that you might need to use a Data Recovery tool to allow your current reinstallation of Windows XP to find and use your previous "Documents and Settings" data. I find that PC Inspector is pretty good at this --- http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm --- last time I looked, they still provided a free-for-personal-use or 'trial' version.

Here's an article that explains the likely scenario, if it's true that you no longer have access to your original "Documents and Settings" folders. Scroll down to the details for "Warning #2" --- http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm --- & tell you what, I'll paste the relevant paragraph - for reference by casual readers of this thread ---
"If the option to Repair Install is NOT available and you continue with the install; you will delete your Windows folder and the Documents and Settings folders. All applications installed that place keys in the registry will need to be re-installed and will require the original install media."

It's fairly certain that this is what happened. How it happened is another story. Is it possible that you already had the Windows CD in the drive? (which offers to reinstall Windows if booted from)?

However it happened:
1) Disconnect from any networks (esp. the Internet), and recover your data.
2) Then - be sure to have your firewall, antivirus, and antispyware installed and running before you re-connect to any networks or the Internet. At that point, go straight to Windows Update to get back up-to-date on your Security Patches. Then update your anti-malware programs as well.
3) Run a rootkit scan, to make sure this isn't an odd result of a remote attack. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...tRevealer.mspx

Best of luck
. . . Gary

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-my-admin-account-is-gone-and-windows-made-a-new-one-133424.html
Relevancy 94.55%

So today I by mistake made my regular admin just user and not an admin and my hidden account my admin.

I tried to make my hidden account accessible but I cannot change it from 0 to 1 without admin user name and password, I could press Shift Right click and run as different user, but the main problem is I did not password protect my hidden user and when I just type in my Admin name and no password it says

Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank password (I don't have one) logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced.

I'm really stuck and do not know what to do PLEASE HELP

A:I made my hidden account my admin and cannot get on to it!!

Try starting your computer on safe mode. I'm not sure if that'll fix your problem, but I know for sure that you can find the default administrator account that way.

Let me know how it goes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/256822-i-made-my-hidden-account-my-admin-cannot-get.html
Relevancy 94.24%

Hi Folks,  i like to use on demand scanners alongside my regular AV and i do this when i'm in my Admin account,  now when i go to my user account do i need to do the scans for it as well ?

Thanks

A:Question about Admin account and user account

This might be of interest: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/198067/anti-malware-scan-on-a-computer-with-different-users/

Regards.....................

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/502482/question-about-admin-account-and-user-account/
Relevancy 94.24%

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, or even if this is possible, but...

Is there any possible way to make it so that my normal account can be transformed into an administrator account?

In order to make one of my games function properly, I need to enter the task manager and set the affinity so that the game uses 1 core to operate. In order to do this, I have to run the application, switch user accounts (from mine to the admin), set the affinity there, then switch back.

It gives me no option to apply administrative settings when I try to set the affinity on my main account, it just tells me I can't.

Any help would be great, thanks!

A:Making User Account into Admin Account

Quote: Originally Posted by StevenBonnellII

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, or even if this is possible, but...

Is there any possible way to make it so that my normal account can be transformed into an administrator account?

In order to make one of my games function properly, I need to enter the task manager and set the affinity so that the game uses 1 core to operate. In order to do this, I have to run the application, switch user accounts (from mine to the admin), set the affinity there, then switch back.

It gives me no option to apply administrative settings when I try to set the affinity on my main account, it just tells me I can't.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Hi ans welcome to seven forums

Why not either run as admin all the time, or Run with elevated rughts? There is even a tutorial on how to run elevated rights in the tutorial section here on SF

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/22850-making-user-account-into-admin-account.html
Relevancy 94.24%

Hello all I need some guidance please I have a chess software program that I installed on my not account but account... run party SW User 3rd in Admin will Admin user account for W bit OS The program is a bit older and would not run after installation on my W OS After I went into the properties and compatibility mode and selected the option to run as if my OS was Windows XP Service Pack then the program started running and working great My 3rd party SW will run in Admin account but not User account... problem is that if I use a different User Account other than admin and try to run the program it gives me an error message and won't start I also selected 3rd party SW will run in Admin account but not User account... the compatibility mode for Windows XP SP in the other user account but it didn't help Finally I went to Control Panel - Programs and Features with the thought to try to uninstall and reinstall the program and the chess program isn't even listed with my other installed programs and yet it still runs just fine on my Admin account Any guidance or thoughts on this matter would be most appreciated Regards Gavin

A:3rd party SW will run in Admin account but not User account...

Welcome
Gavin, did you give permission to the other user to use the game
Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

You may also want to have it run as adminstrastor, when in the none adminstrator account
Run as Administrator

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/150798-3rd-party-sw-will-run-admin-account-but-not-user-account.html
Relevancy 90.21%

Hi,
I have a Windows 8.1 system on a lap top that was used by a former employee. Her name was still on user name and I couldn't change it without Admin privileges (otherwise was asking for a smart card). Found out how to get in to admin in safe mode with Net
User Admin yes- then discovered that the old log in and information / desk top is no longer available. The docs are under Users (old employee's name) in C drive, but the docs and settings no longer show up and the admin log in is the only one available - no
option to change users.
When I went in and said Net User Admin no - thinking if I disabled admin user it would go back to the old log in -  there was no log in available at all.

Help?
Launa

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/56c281dc-3368-4418-93ac-3cd96832c513/enabled-net-user-admin-to-change-an-account-name-cant-change-name-and-now-origial-login-account?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 90.21%

Pretty basic question (I think). Is the built-in administrator's account exactly the same as a manually created local administrator's account privilege wise? Or does the built-in possess inherently elevated privileges?

I have googled around, however, I can't find a clear answer for this.

Thank you

A:built-in admin account vs regular admin account

Hello Spurcell, and welcome to Seven Forums.

They are basically the same, except that the built-in possess inherently elevated privileges, and the other doesn't until approved through UAC to elevate the action.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/255985-built-admin-account-vs-regular-admin-account.html
Relevancy 89.28%

Greetings A friend of mine to auto & on auto account logs-in user account, reboots BSOD's Admin has been having a recurring issue with his computer that's getting worse I've spent hours going through the forums BSOD's on user account, auto reboots & auto logs-in to Admin account but haven't seen anything about this so I'm posting here Any help would be greatly appreciated ISSUE He uses his computer with a password protected user account while rarely logging in off the BSOD's on user account, auto reboots & auto logs-in to Admin account password protected Admin account For months while working in his user account his computer will BSOD at random times whenever he has IE or Chrome open He's got malware causing him issues BUT In the last few weeks when it reboots after a BSOD it will automatically login to his Admin account on its own without him entering his Admin password WTH I've never even heard of something like this and not sure where to start He ran Malwarebytes and sent me an email tonight below that listed what was found Over the last couple of years he seems to be a magnet for downloading PUPs PUMs malware adware viruses etc that I've had to help him through His computer is custom built Windows Home x - All service packs auto updates turned on amp current Core i GB RAM ATI video card AV MSE Also runs MalwareBytes free His email last night quot I received a BSOD while logged onto my user account side with Chrome and Outlook open I went to watch TV for an hour and when I came back to the computer I must have had a BSOD and I was logged onto the Admin side This is the second or third time this has happened like this quot quot While on the Admin side I ran CC Cleaner and Malwarebytes Attached is a document that Malwarebytes found threats I have no idea what they mean or if any of those could be causing my BSOD issues When you get some time please take a look at them and see what you can determine Appreciate it quot Here's the list of items Malwarebytes found when he ran it as Admin I looked them up and he's got serious problems But what concerns me is how his computer is rebooting after a BSOD and logging into his Admin account on its own without him entering the password I've edited the list to remove his Admin account name so that it XXX Malwarebytes Anti-Malware www malwarebytes org Scan Date Scan Time PM Logfile Detected Threats txt Administrator Yes version Malware Database v Rootkit Database v License Free Malware Protection Disabled Malicious website Protection Disabled self-protection Disabled os windows service Pack CPU x File system NTFS User XXX-Admin Scan Type Threat Scan Result completed objects scanned Time Elapsed min sec Memory Enabled startup Enabled Filesystem Enabled Archives Enabled Rootkits Enabled Heuristics Enabled PUP Enabled PUM Enabled Processes NO malicious items detected Modules NO malicious items detected Registry Keys PUM security Hijack Disablechromeupdates HKLM SOFTWARE POLICIES GOOGLE UPDATE e aa d a fa a celce da PUP optional superoptimizer HKLM SOFTWARE wow NODE A F -FC - C-A -COl AF E C eba e bfOa f eebffa cOef PUM security Hijack Disablechromeupdates HKLM SOFTWARE WOW NODE POLICIES GOOGLE UPDATE ce e a cb b f e PUP optional superoptimizer HKU S- - - SOFTWARE APPDATALOW AC - F - -B FD- BC F a acf ee db cfeaa d cb PUP optional superoptimizer HKU S- - - - - - - SOFTWARE APPDATALOW AC - F br - -B FD- BC F bad d cebdb c dcfeaba a a PUP optional conduit HKU S- - - - - - - SOFTWARE MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER SEARCHSCOPES EE -D - F-AOFF-E B B E A b de cOb d e b dlda ad PUP optional w i HKU S- - - - - - - SOFTWARE MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER SEARCHSCOPES CC EBA - - D -A - FE A e d f c d f ba PUP Optional optimizerpro HKU S- - - - - - - SOFTWARE OPTIMIZER PRO fcf c fd d a acOcf Registry values PUM security Hijack Disablechromeupdates HKLM SOFTWARE POLICIES GOOGLE UPDATE DisableAutoupdatecheckscheckboxvalue e aa d a fa a celce da PUM security Hijack Disablechromeupdates HKLM SOFTWARE W... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/381486-bsods-user-account-auto-reboots-auto-logs-admin-account.html
Relevancy 88.97%

I hope someone can help me Just this morning i booted up as normal and the always annoying UAC stopped when account admin admin Admin checked! is even being notifications kept Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked! popping up I was sure i had disabled these Then i went to use my music software and it said that this account Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked! didn't have admin privileges I checked my user account and the check box states that is is an admin account and that UAC is turnd off i only have one account anyways Ive looked on google extensively Tried making new profiles and copy the old one over but that only worked to a certain point - lots of programs didn't work lost mail settings etc Not really workable Tried system restore to no avail Tried using the vista admin account and changing my account - rebooting - etc No change My guess is that something has got Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked! corrupt in my user profile and windows is not remembering that i should be an admin I can't use my software and i have a deadline Any one who can help will win a magical prize or something Jen

A:Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked!

Welcome
Should be easy, create a New Administrator account and give it permissions to use the software.
User Account - Create
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...rs-groups.html
Procedure for Seven is the Same as For Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/294399-admin-account-stopped-being-admin-even-when-admin-checked.html
Relevancy 88.66%

Hey guys, on my computer profile, there is only one account and its an admin. I have forgotten my password... is there anyway I can get it back and recover? My system is windows xp home edition and also there is no safe mode to reboot it.

A:lost admin account

Hi and welcome to the fourm

Basically what you are asking is agaisnt this forum rules. Passwords are put in place to protect the information some one has placed on them.

The problem is "we" don't know who you are or even if it is your PC.

Let say that someone took/has access to "your" PC and you personal/buisness things that you don't want others to access. Would want a stranger help with a password?

BG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/lost-admin-account-282438.html
Relevancy 88.66%

I had a user account 'Administrator' only at first, and then I decided to create another account for some reason. now when I log into windows I can only see the new account and can not access anything from the 'Administrator' account. the only way I can get into the Administrator account is to boot into safe mode. is there anything I can do to reverse what I did? (both accounts have administrative privileges)

A:Lost Admin Account

That's Windows default behavior if there are other accounts other than Administrator. You can log on as Administrator by pressing Control + Alt + Delete twice in rapid succession at the Welcome Screen. This will bring up the old style logon box where you can type in your desired user name, in this case Administrator.To add the Administrator account to the Welcome screen, download Microsoft's TweakUI utility and repeat the steps show in this animation:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/116086/lost-admin-account/
Relevancy 88.66%

I?m working on a PC running XP pro that had an Admin account on it. I wanted to add another user and was not able to. The PC was on a net work now it?s off the network and in a workgroup. When I was not able to add a user I switched the work group to a different workgroup. Added my new user, in doing that I got an error saying something about enable sharing files. I enabled or disabled can?t remember. At that point I was able to add my user. After I rebooted I no longer had the admin account and the desktop came up with a new screen saver. I did not delete anything. I need some advise to get the admin account back. Thanks!

How about System Restore?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-admin-account.136184/
Relevancy 88.66%

Today I was doing some changes (changed Network name & re-asstablished Auto Logon) & restarted the comfuser. Well, screen came up asking for my password to my Standard Account (I always use Standard) & I got in no problem. But when I tried checking a few things, UAC came up asking for the Admin. Password w/o a box to type in; I closed everything & rebooted, but only Standard Account came up on the screen.

Once in comfuser, I checked Control Panel\User Accounts & Family Safety\User Accounts but only my Standard Account is there! I've checked the C:\Users folder & both my Admin. & Standard account folders show; so where is my Admin. Account log-in? This is the 1st time this has ever happened to me after setting-up Auto Logon.

A:Lost Admin. Account

Quote: Originally Posted by CJW

Today I was doing some changes (changed Network name & re-asstablished Auto Logon) & restarted the comfuser. Well, screen came up asking for my password to my Standard Account (I always use Standard) & I got in no problem. But when I tried checking a few things, UAC came up asking for the Admin. Password w/o a box to type in; I closed everything & rebooted, but only Standard Account came up on the screen.

Once in comfuser, I checked Control Panel\User Accounts & Family Safety\User Accounts but only my Standard Account is there! I've checked the C:\Users folder & both my Admin. & Standard account folders show; so where is my Admin. Account log-in? This is the 1st time this has ever happened to me after setting-up Auto Logon.

Trying to understand what you mean here.

-You enabled autologon for a standard user account
-UAC is now prompting for authentication but does not allow you to enter the admin credentials?

- Auto logon is not functioning properly if you were prompted for your standard account password to log into windows

Your administrator account is still available, it sounds like may have been hidden by enabling auto logon.

I would try reverting the changes you made to enable autologon.
If that does not make your administrator account reappear:

Since UAC is not functioning properly, created an elevated shortcut to the local security policy.

To create an elevated shortcut:
-Right Click on your desktop, select "create new shortcut"
-In the shortcut path, copy and paste the following:

Code:
runas /user:youradminhere /savecred "%windir%\System32\Secpol.msc"
Replace "youradminhere" with your administrator account name
-Run the shortcut, when it prompts you for the administrator password, enter it (Note: You will not see anything in the command prompt when typing your password in, it will appear as if it is not recognizing your key strokes. This is normal.)
Once you have the local security policy open:

-Select Local Policies
-Select Security Options

Find the following entry:

-Interactive Logon: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL. Set this to disabled.

This should prompt you for both a username and password on your next logon and allow you to log in to your admin account.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/222324-lost-admin-account.html
Relevancy 88.66%

Hi
I run vista

I changed my admin account to a standard user.

There where to other accounts when I checked one was the 'Guest' account and possible a .net account I think I made that one my admin one. Now when I want to switch users to the admin one it is not there as well if I try to do it through manage onother account and enter the password requested I get Longon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

How can I get an admin account back?
Anybody any clue

I Have the same Problem well my mate has he did exactly what you said and now only has a limited account but no admin account He has started it up in Safe Mode and only one account is showing the limited one he cannot gain access to the admin at all any Help would be appreciated

Cheers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-admin-account.576255/
Relevancy 88.66%

Ok, so I used to have only one account on my computer which I tried to make hidden by changing the registry value to 0. That was months and months ago. Yesterday I made my grandpa an account so he can use it when my sister is on his mac. Well, now my account wont show up so I'm unable to log in to it and I have the only admin account and never enabled the default admin one. So how can I regain access to my account? I've tried ctrl alt del like in xp but got nothing. I've tried booting into safemode and got nowhere. its like the account only exsists as a placeholder. I dont see anything in the user accounts section of the control panel but its still in c:/users/chris. So please help me as i have important documents on there!

A:Please help!!! Admin Account LOST

Not really sure if this will work for you, but it is worth a shot - good luck
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-10267413-68.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-admin-account-lost.931144/
Relevancy 88.35%

Hello Everyone I made a HUGE mistake today I was configuring puters at a time amp accidently made the only admin account into a limited account At first I swear I remember seeing the at least one other account that was an admin but I guess not The login screen is a bit wierd Account XP User Admin in as well Instead of it being the new xp screen with the users Admin User Account in XP icon it has the old version with the window asking for the username amp password I tried to enter the UN in that I thought I remember seeing amp a variety of possible passwords but nada My questions are is it possible to reverse the limited restrictions on the formerly admin account without any other admin account This seems unlikely but I guess there has to Admin User Account in XP be a way right GOD I hioe there is a way If there really is another admin account it seems unlikely that windows would allow the only account to be changed to limited access then how can I recoup the forgotten password I didnt make a passwords disks I am in a super jam here folx so if any mad scientist out there can help mw out I would forever be greatful Thanks in advance peace rusia nbsp

Relevancy 88.35%

I have a big problem; can any one help.
I have two reg user accounts and i changed one to an administrator account that I didn't want to use regularly, but when I try to do certain things it ask for a password, but when I put my password in it says "wrong password' or something like that. I know that is the right password; so I try in safe mode it say "The user has not been granted the requested login type at this computer. Also the account that I created will not show up when I restart my computer, so I can't login using that account.
Can someone please Help

A:Admin user account

Welcome

Try getting in with safe mode

Then try to access the hidden administrator.
Administrator Account

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/270687-admin-user-account.html
Relevancy 88.35%

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Vista, but want to create another user account so that I'm not using my Admin account. It seems that this is suggested by Microsoft as it's safer.

I have all my programs installed and now I want to create a user account without admin rights that has all the settings, look and feel etc that I have set up with my admin account.

Can I copy the admin account and then just turn off admin rights? or is there some other way of doing this?

Thanks for the help and your time.

All the best to you,

Glen

A:Non-Admin User Account

Click Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Manage another account>Create a new account.Hope this is what you were looking for.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/non-admin-user-account.739950/
Relevancy 87.73%

Was playing around with settings on my computer to ensure I do not need a password to log in, but once I set that up, I got locked out of admin. When I try to open files that require admin, it asks to insert admin details however does not give a box to type in username or password.

A:Accidently lost Admin account

Hello and welcome to TenForums!

If you can, use system restore to revert back to a previous point when things were working. and then you can try again to avoid entering the password by using the following tutorial. Due to the fact that you seem to have lost Admin rights you may find this difficult to do unless you can boot from a recovery disk and access the advanced startup options.

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

If you really did want to remove a password from your account you can do this (but I suggest you are more secure with a password):

Password of User Account - Remove in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/41608-accidently-lost-admin-account.html
Relevancy 87.73%

ive lost all access to my only admin account! a year ago i tried to hide my account(to have a text field logon like in xp) by changing the registry value to '0'. it didnt do anything. everything just went on as normal, account not hidden and no text logon. well a few days ago i made an account for my grandpa, not an admin just a standard user. well when i went to logon to it to set up everything my main(and only) account was no longer visible. i think if i put the registry value back to 1 ill be able to log in. the problem is i cant edit the registry on this standard user account. ive tried booting into safe mode but it still puts me on his account and im unable to get on my account. plz help as i have important documents on my account!

A:Urgant!! Admin Account Lost!!!

Do a system restore to before you created the new User account.

Then change the Registry value back to one.

Now create an account for your Grandpa.

System Restore - How to

Oli

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/280405-urgant-admin-account-lost.html
Relevancy 87.73%

Hello there, i use vista Ultimate, for some reason i am unable to gain my admin account back, and everytime i try to run certain tasks it asks me for asp.net machine account password??

I think i screwed up somewhere whilst trying to enable my admin rights. Now i cannot see the admin account when i log off so i can log on to the admin account, all i get is a standard user account which is not in the admin domain.

Also when i go to control panel>accounts i cannot not even have the right to change the standard user back to the admin domain as it asks me for the asp.net machine account password. What the hell is that?

Ahhhh help driving me nuts!

A:Lost Admin And asking for .Net Machine Account!

Hi danbee80, welcome to the Vista Forums

It depends on what exactly has happened with the accounts but,
Vista is designed so that if there is not an admin account present it reverts to the XP method of working. If you boot into safe mode you should be be able to log in as the Hidden admin account, (Default is Blank password), and thus able to create a new admin account that you can use to recover files etc.

If you have an admin account on the machine that you cannot gain access to you may want to have a look here ...

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor

hopre this helps

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/195152-lost-admin-asking-net-machine-account.html
Relevancy 87.73%

Need Help asap, I have lost all admin rights on my only user account on this machine. I have searched for a solution high and low for awhile now but I need to install software for work!

I cannot open an elevated command prompt (Access Denied)

I cannot edit registry (Access Denied)

When I try to refresh windows I am asked to pick an account to continue with and the only account shown is the Homegroupuser$... no clue what the password for this would be as I have no network.

I need to know how I can access my admin account... I am not using pro version of windows........

A:Lost admin rights on only account

If you do not have administrative account and can't create administrative account then there is not much you can do.

it looks you have deleted the only administrative account?

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/65689-lost-admin-rights-only-account.html
Relevancy 87.42%

Hi,

I have Windows XP Professional in two of my employees PCs

Recently, I have observed they have started adding new software carelessly to the PC and are delaying work on the other hand

I would like to put an end to this menace

Can you please tell me how to:

1. Restrict software from being installed on the PCs

2. Restrict the websites that they log on to

3. Get a log of activities they have been doing daily

Maybe this is harsh however, I have to keep some control over them as all my accounts are managed on the PCs

Please help me

Thanks in advance

A:User Account Admin in Windows XP - PLEASE HELP

Some antivirus have "parental controls" on them, and that might be the best way to take control of misuse...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-account-admin-in-windows-xp-please-help.1051794/
Relevancy 87.42%

when i use my admin account to create a new admin account i get stumped.

i can create the account, set the password, and then when i try to switch users, i click on the new account admin2, and i get a warning that

"unknown user or bad password"

i have actually seen posts in other forums with the same issue but no answer

windows 7, 64 bit laptop

A:cannot create a new admin user account

Could a reboot before using the account help?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/218537-cannot-create-new-admin-user-account.html
Relevancy 87.42%

Any response given will be greatly appreciated even if there's nothing or Admin User log in account Unable to to you can do to help me First I don't know much about computers so I'll explain the problem the best Unable to log in to User or Admin account I can I got a little bubble telling me I had a spyware then an IE window FF is my default browser came up with an ad for some antispyware xp or something I closed it and ran a scan with AVG It found or threats one was Vundo can't remember the others After it finished it said to restart which I did When it resarted it went to the screen where you pick an account to sign in Normally it does not go to this screen I only have one account which does not have a password I clicked on it the screen blinked then it logged out of the account I went into safe mode tried the same for the admin account and the same thing happened I'm typing this on my PS so I'll be quick to respond Again thank you to anyone who responds

A:Unable to log in to User or Admin account

Hi bill1228 and welcome to TSF !

This worked for other users :
Fix Windows XP Log On/Log Off Loop

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/unable-to-log-in-to-user-or-admin-account-379306.html
Relevancy 87.42%

Please - account no profile user admin help I ve been getting the quot user profile service user profile - no admin account failed the logon quot error message on my account which was the admin account All of user profile - no admin account the solutions posted online require you to be logged in as an administrator in order user profile - no admin account to execute them So far I ve tried fixing user profile editing system registry etc as per this page http support microsoft com kb en-US wa wsignin can t from a standard user account creating a new account and transferring data can t from a standard user account restoring system to previous point using command prompts can t from a standard user account enabling the quot hidden quot admin account can t as a standard user being stressed and grumpy I can do this fine but it s not effective at solving the problem I don t seem to be able to do anything as a standard user on the only account left and every time it prompts for my admin password it won t let me go any further What do I do We have loads of photos and documents which haven t been backed up yet yes yes don t even say it and so I don t want to just reset the whole thing or risk losing anything Any advice Thank you in advance nbsp

A:user profile - no admin account

Restart the machine in the "Safe mode"
Use the "Administrator" account and password if you set one up. If you did NOT set up a password, then just use the "enter" key when in the password box.
Once up and running in the safe mode, you should be able to make a new account of the admin group.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-no-admin-account.1142637/
Relevancy 87.42%

Hi guys, i have recently begun to use a user account instead of running full Admin and my question is should the two separate accounts be treated separately when it comes to security,  and do most keep one account minimal with just a few programs or to just surf and the elevated one for something else.

I am the only user  but am confused about security.  I started with just an admin account and kept everything up to date and ran scans regularly etc... but i am finding i'm doing the exact same thing with the user account.

When i update one and run scans i should automatically do the same for the admin account?  Windows update for example, i need to check for updates with both accounts?

Sorry for the confusion and thanks

A:User/Admin account question

Hi,

1. Click the Windows Start button and then click Control Panel. The Control Panel appears.
2. Select Large icons on the right-hand side under the View by menu (if you are not already in Large icons view). This will display the Control Panel features as icons. Locate and click on  User Accounts.
3. The User Accounts panel appears
4. Click the Change User Accounts Control Settings option. The User Accounts Control Settings dialog box appears.
5. Windows 7 UAC settings have a slider to change between different notification levels. You can choose one from the following four options:
Never notify
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Always notify
6. If the need arises to turn off the UAC to troubleshoot ACT! related issues, a general guideline is to change the setting to Never Notify, which essentially disables the UAC feature.
Note: A reboot of the computer will be required after choosing this setting.
You  can also change a user's account type, Follow these steps:
If your computer is in a domain:
1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts, clicking User Accounts again, and then clicking Manage User Accounts.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. On the Users tab, under Users for this computer, click the user account name, and then click Properties.
3. On the Group Membership tab, click the group you want the account to be in, click OK, and then click OK again.

If your computer is in a workgroup:

1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, clicking User Accounts, and then clicking Manage another account.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
2. Click the account you want to change, and then click Change the account type.
3. Select the account type you want, and then click Change Account Type.

For more information on user accounts, please logon to:
 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/What-is-an-administrator-accounthttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-a-users-account-typehttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-get-started-with-my-computer

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/498085/useradmin-account-question/
Relevancy 87.42%

Account was active (and I wasn't paying great attention) and set the admin. account almost fully to what and how I wanted it to be, not realizing that it was the admn. and not my user acct. that I named my own name, as the standard recommendation of not logging or using the admn. acccount as your logon or user acct. Is there a way I can trick or copy the admn. to my name or delete the user acct. in its sub or alternate, such as the acct.-my name and then use those settings as I was going to, and then rename admn. to other acct. if that makes sense(?) or would I just have to go ahead and bite-it and reset the same settings or the profile for my alternate-user acct.? Thanks, Joe

A:setting up Admin. and user account

There are registry changes you can make to trick xp to load other profiles, but imo it would be safest to leave the admin account as is, setup your user account and proceed as normal. I only use the reg changes if i join a pc to a domain that has a profile being used and they want that profile as the domain profile.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/208350/setting-up-admin-and-user-account/
Relevancy 87.42%

I have six user accounts on my PC i have a big family but one of them can't login because quot The Group Policy Client service failed to logon Access denied quot error message pops up and we are sure the password is correct Also admin user? my is why guest only the account the guest account does not have a password it just logs in and takes a while to prepare the desktop after it has logged on there's a pop up message that says that the current account is temporary and can't acces any files and the ones created will be deleted once I log off This account is also the admin account and when installing programs a prompt comes up and ask for the password but there is none and all you have to do is press enter and it works as if you had actually input a password Also I cannot create or delete accounts because for some other reason acces is denied I have tried using the command prompt to change the why is my guest account the only admin user? password and tried several other commands but they don't work I have several limitations because of this problem and it seems to keep on getting worst any help is appreciated why is my guest account the only admin user?

A:why is my guest account the only admin user?

Which version of Windows 7?

I don't think the Guest account can have administrator rights, be an administrator. The actual Administrator account is hidden by default. You need at least one User set with administrative rights, shows as Administrator but others can be Standard users.
User accounts: FAQ - Windows Help
The number of Users allowed appears to be limited only by the amount of space available on the HDD.
user accounts: How many user accounts can I create? - Microsoft Community

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/353184-why-my-guest-account-only-admin-user.html
Relevancy 87.42%

Ok, I may have made a mistake here, I was told to click this SID thing and change my SID I code in order to be able to install this WindowBlinds application however, it seems to have gone crazy.

After restarting my computer, It now has two users after looking in the C:/users - one Gareth.GarethPC which has NOTHING IN IT. And the other is my original GARETH account which it wont let me access - asking for an ADMIN password however It wont let me type anything in!

So I can't do any activity that requires Admin access, i've been trying to system restore naturally Admin required.

Any help? I'm wetting myself.

Thanks Everyone.

Edit: Mine is now a guest account..

A:Admin User Account - Im Locked Out!

HI this is for the hidden admin account try doing the steps form the guest account http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...idden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-user-account-im-locked-out.870142/
Relevancy 87.42%

​Until recently, I was using an Admin privileged user account on my Windows 10 PC for all use. I now use a non-admin account for all use and have 2 Admin privileged accounts in back. One Admin account I use to authorize anything requiring admin privileges and the other I don't touch I just have as a back up restore point.
My question is if I should disable internet on the Admin account that acts simply as my restore point? Is there a security benefit to doing this or could it be a security risk due to not getting auto updates?

A:Securing my Admin user account

The extra admin account is unnecessary since it does not serve the purpose for which you intended, i.e. as a restore point.  One admin account and one standard account should be sufficient.

Also, the "internet" or a network connection does not work in the way you describe.  Disabling the wireless connection on one account disables it for all accounts on that machine.  You cannot selectively turn on the wireless for one account and not for others.  The same goes if you are using a wired connection.

I am assuming that you mean Windows updates, which are updates to the operating system.  Once the operating system is receiving updates, those updates apply to all users on the same machine.  The operating system is central to all users.  Although individual users may apply their own settings (e.g. wallpaper) or install applications for their sole use, those things do not affect the operating system as a whole.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603578/securing-my-admin-user-account/
Relevancy 87.42%

I recieved a computer and there is no admin account to log in to only the User log in. Tried rebooting in safe mode and it still goes to the log in screen.

A:No Admin account and Dont know the user log in

What exactly do you mean by "I received a computer"?

Did someone give it to you as a gift for you to keep?  Can you not ask the person you got the computer from for the login info?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503504/no-admin-account-and-dont-know-the-user-log-in/
Relevancy 87.42%

Hey
I have accidentaly deleted my administrator account. It happened because i created a new user, then I used that abit. When I logged on to my old accout I deleted the new one that I made, but then I wasnt't administrator anymore... ON NONE OF THE USERS ON THE COMPUTER. So I can't create a new account with admin rights and I can't change my account type to administrator Please help me if u know how.

- Victor27 -

A:Deleted admin user account

It is against the policy of BleepingComputer to provide information on methods to reset or bypass the Administrator password. Though your question is most likely legitimate, there are others who may read this topic and use the information for less savory reasons. It is for these reasons we do not provide this type of information.If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a private message or an email. Thank you for your understanding.The weathermanBleepingComputer Forums ModeratorReference: BleepingComputer Board Rules

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/203635/deleted-admin-user-account/
Relevancy 87.42%

PC has WinXP Pro there are 4 accounts 3 admin("Administrator", "qq" and "My Computer" and 1 guest. Have ran Malwarebytes and removed over 60 items, have scanned with new AVAST no virus found ran both in safe mode under "Administrator" account. Adminsitrator account is running fine, loading fine no issues. "My Computer" account is only showing desktop background photo, no desktop icons are showing, is extremly slow and keeps locking up and comes up with errors cant find "null" and missing "dll" errors. I have now removed HDD and have hooked it up to a second PC and am currently running new scans on it. Any ideas would be great

Relevancy 87.42%

I have a program, BOINC in this instance, that I want to run only when I log in as a user, I do not want it to run when I log in as admin. is this possible? the program is up and running now but runs in both accounts. I use my admin account to do banking only and the user account to do 3D and allow the BOINC app to run when the PC isn't being used.

thanks,
bob

A:I want a program to only run as user, not with my admin account

I run the same program .. have you tried to suspend
the projects when you use your admin account??

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/42231-i-want-program-only-run-user-not-my-admin-account.html
Relevancy 87.42%

The Daughter is 12 years old now and needs to have her own desktop (space) and such so I created another account for her with no password required.

I noticed when I mouse hover on her icons they display empty "Check Boxes". What is this for?

Also, I run two displays.
In my account the start button displays the start menu in the same display (right side) as the button & task bar.
In her account it displays to the left display on it's right edge.

any answers on the above or any other tips would be great.

I looked at the tutorials but no lessons on what an administrator can do in the other accounts. Some newb account creations tips would be nice. Or a link to it .......?

A:Non Admin User Account Questions

Hello theRock,

The check boxes are to make selecting multiple files easier to do. You can turn this off or on if you like though.

Select Files using Check Boxes

It sounds like the menu open appearance setting has been changed. This can show you how to change it back to the default "Left Handed" setting instead.

Menu Open Appearance

If you wanted to restrict what she can do, then you might consider making her account a standard account instead and using Parental Controls on it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/262005-non-admin-user-account-questions.html
Relevancy 87.42%

Hi, i created a new user account only last week and decided i would log into it again, this is only the 3rd time i've logged into this new user account, so it was ok last i accessed it.
After pressing the icon and xp login plays the tune, all that i am greeted with is a blank blue screen. I accessed task manager and logged off. Logged in my admin account and deleted the new account and created another, the same thing happened again, and again etc.
So cannot create a new account , anyone know why?

thanks

A:logging into new user admin account

When you login with a new account, go onto task manager and click the "Processes" tab. See if explorer.exe is running, if not, run a new task of "explorer".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/logging-into-new-user-admin-account.920047/
Relevancy 87.42%

Hello, my brother has recently made himself the admin on my computer that have spent alot of money on and it is finally gaming ready but now I cannot access any gaming platform and not update any scripts

A:How do I get into the admin account while being a strandard user

Quote: Originally Posted by User3456

Hello, my brother has recently made himself the admin on my computer that have spent alot of money on and it is finally gaming ready but now I cannot access any gaming platform and not update any scripts

Your brother has admin rights
You are standard user.

You wanna have admin rights?? If so, ask your brother to login and he can give you admin rights

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/226784-how-do-i-get-into-admin-account-while-being-strandard-user.html
Relevancy 87.42%

Hi As I have some troubles to take ownership of HKLM HCR from the registry Someone recommend me to do the following Step Clicked and account ! User Admin big troubles Start Menu Click Run Type net user administrator active yes Close All Other Applications And Reboot User and Admin account big troubles ! Your System Step Click Login To The Administrator Account Clicked Start Menu Click Run Type Regedit Go to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Policies System Right Click On EnableLUA Click Modify Change Value Data To A Click OK Step Go Back To The Root Folders In The Registry Editor Right Click On HKEY CLASSES ROOT Click Permissions Click CREATOR OWNER Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click SYSTEM Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click On Users Click Remove Click Your Account Name If It Shows Click Remove Click OK Step Right Click On HKEY CURRENT USER Click Permissions Click SYSTEM Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click OK Step Right Click On HKEY LOCAL MACHINE Click Permissions Click Everyone Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click RESTRICTED Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click SYSTEM Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click OK Step Right Click On HKEY USERS Click Permissions Click Everyone Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click RESTRICTED Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click SYSTEM Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click On Users If It Shows Click Remove Click Your Account Name If It Shows Click Remove Click OK Step Right Click On HKEY CURRENT CONFIG Click Permissions Click CREATOR OWNER Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click Administrators Check All Allow Boxes Click Apply Click OK Close Registry Editor And All Other Applications And Reboot Your System Step Click Login To The Available Regular Owner Account Clicked Start Menu Click Control Panel Click Add Or Remove User Acounts Create A New User Account And Logoff Close Registry Editor And All Other Applications And Reboot Your System Step Click Login To Your New Created Account Right Click On The Drive Or Directory You Lost Access To Click Properties Click Security Click Advance At The Permissions Tab Click Edit Click Add Type The Name Of The Recently New Created Account Click Check Names Your New Account Name Should Fully Show Up Click OK A Permission Screen Should Show Up Click On The Allow Box Where It Says Full Control Where It Says quot Apply To quot Choose The quot This Folder Subfolders And Files quot Option Click OK Again At The Permissions Tab Click On Your New Created Account Click Apply Click Yes On The Security Popup To Change Your Allow Permissions If An Errors Occur Just Click Continue Once The Process Finishes Reboot Your System And Login To Your New Account You Should Now Have Access Back Into Your Hard Drive Or Directory I did all except the nine step After the eight while enter to my new account I get a blue screen in my session instead of my dekstop no icons no system tray appeared I reboot my computer and I notice that I couldn' enter anymore to my Admin account Enter and my session was automatically closed Nevertheless I could enter to my standard user account the old one named Transparence but the dekstop is in black no icons no system tray nothing I decided to Alt Ctrl delete like to close my session but instead I choose Task Manager I have only processes csrss exe dwm exe taskmgr exe winlogon exe How can i get back and change the ownership of my registry Is it possible to check my registry with someone who is running Vista Business bits The following are the settings I have for now Registry HCR System total control and lecture checked Admin idem HCU System total control and lecture checked Admin idem Users lecture checked HLM Everybody Restricted lecture checked System Admin total control and lectur... Read more

A:User and Admin account big troubles !

Welcome
If you can get to system restore, you could go back. Restore includes registry changes.
Try in safe mode if necessary
Try with the hidden administrator if necessary.
Administrator Account
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ix-issues.html

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/285275-user-admin-account-big-troubles.html
Relevancy 86.8%

Hi Guys,

I bought this Laptop pre-installed with windows 8 couple of months ago. I created a new user with admin rights and was working fine. Then, I created new user (an invalid microsoft account) and assigned it admin rights. This account is like a junk account admin@admin.com and assigned admin rights. I never set any password for this. For some reason, I changed my original admin account to normal user. Now, I cant login using the invalid microsoft account and lost my admin rights to my laptop. Also, I dont have recovery cd created.

What options do I have to get back admin status?

A:Lost access to Admin account - urgent help pls

Download Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD ? www.hiren.info , burn it to CD/USB, change BIOS to boot from it then use
Offline NT Password Changer 2011-05-11

Please report back if this solves your problem.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/21745-lost-access-admin-account-urgent-help-pls.html
Relevancy 86.8%

Pretty self explanitory, also is has to run on AC power because the battery stoped accepting charge. (i'll try to fix that later) Please help? I have so much important stuff and documents on there. PLEASE!? Free prefer or course, no job ATM.

A:I lost my only account admin pass on computer!!

It sounds to me like what your asking for is access to a password-protected user account.

Since we can determine actual intent, TSG rules prevent me from helping you.
Passwords - Please do not ask for assistance with forgotten passwords and/or bypassing them. As there is no way to verify the actual situation and/or intentions, no assistance will be provided and any such threads will be closed.Click to expand...

I've asked for this thread to be closed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-lost-my-only-account-admin-pass-on-computer.987996/
Relevancy 86.8%

Hi everyone. A few months ago, I lost the password to my Admin account on XP. I do not have a password hint. Is there any way to recover the old password or create a new password from my current account? The current account I am using does have Admin priviledges.

Relevancy 86.49%

I have an admin acct that doesn't seem to have privileges. One issue is that I'm unable to create a user acct (specified acct name not valid, cannot contain the following characters: |[]”:;|<>+=,?*)
The new user name contains no such characters.

So I enabled the hidden admin acct, which seems to have privileges, but gets the same error when trying to create a new acct.

various virus, malware and rootkit detection utilities don't find anything. Outside of the admin issues and account creation, the system runs fine.

This system is a Dell XPS 410, upgraded to win 7 Pro x64 SP1 from XP (before I obtained it).

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks!

A:Admin has no privileges, cannot create user account

I'm checking into profile issues...System Properties\Advanced|User Profile settings shows the users in the below image.

All seems well except for the Account Unknown. I guess #1 is the hidden admin account, #'s 2 & 3 are the named user accts.

There was an account named updatususer. Research shows that this is an nvidea update service account. I removed it from the admin account (still can't create a new user).

in a cmd window, 'net user' returns only users #2 & #3. User #3 is the local admin account without privileges.

Any ideas as to what the Account Unknown user could be (if it's even pertinent to the issue)? I thought it might be the guest account, but it's not turned on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/361455-admin-has-no-privileges-cannot-create-user-account.html
Relevancy 86.49%

I've just been having a very large amount of permission problems in various programs, right now I'm having trouble compiling and running the temporary .exe's CodeBlocks makes, getting "permission denied" as an actual compiler error.

So what I'd like to do, and I'm not sure if its possible, is activate the built in full power administrator, which I know how to do, and then rename it to my current account name, or make it so where they merge. I don't really want to have to set all my folders up and such (especially with programs like itunes, which will go off the file path of the username)

~Thanks
~Kyle

A:Changing My user account to Built-in Admin

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeldaKrazy

I've just been having a very large amount of permission problems in various programs, right now I'm having trouble compiling and running the temporary .exe's CodeBlocks makes, getting "permission denied" as an actual compiler error.

So what I'd like to do, and I'm not sure if its possible, is activate the built in full power administrator, which I know how to do, and then rename it to my current account name, or make it so where they merge. I don't really want to have to set all my folders up and such (especially with programs like itunes, which will go off the file path of the username)

~Thanks
~Kyle

Hi kyle and welcome

certainly can rename it. Merging? may be more difficult. I am of no use there. Someone here will know
Sorry I cant help, and again welcome

Ken J+

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/45763-changing-my-user-account-built-admin.html
Relevancy 86.49%

Hi Using evaluation copy of NetTerm as terminal emulator which is one in account, the admin) Program not runs other user (both meant to run ok under Win earlier versions Program runs in one user account, not the other (both admin) not We only have two Win Pro machines rest XP One machine OK On the Program runs in one user account, not the other (both admin) other NetTerm runs ok in the account Install administrator but not in account User administrator In account User it immediately minimizes to taskbar and won Program runs in one user account, not the other (both admin) t run I ve tried changing properties from running in normal window to run maximized The program will then display full screen but still won t connect to LAN In account Install it runs as expected and gives a login prompt immediately The other Win machine happily runs the program using same installation process Our first priority is to find out why that s happening Install is only meant for distributing software from server but we also have an issue with the working version The program if left for a few minutes with no activity or if re-entered after a switch user immediately crashes out leaving us with software locks and various other nasties NetTerm s response was that it has not been installed correctly We ve uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times without success Thanks in anticipation nbsp

A:Program runs in one user account, not the other (both admin)

Was it installed for ALL users, as some programs ask up front if it is to be used by all users?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/program-runs-in-one-user-account-not-the-other-both-admin.946840/
Relevancy 86.49%

Dear people of the Tenforums I could use your advice On Saturday I decided to give new Windows Admin from User Guest Account reduced to it picked Home Edition by itself a try Previous version was Windows After a flawless install I have seen that something on my C partition is using a lot of disk space It was Windows old file which I have successfully deleted by using Disk Cleanup But last night I see Windows old has reappeared back which is quite a surprise so I wanted to delete it again But now UAC blocks my every effort because User Account quot doesn't have Administrator User Account reduced from Admin to Guest permission quot The Yes button User Account reduced from Admin to Guest in the UAC is greyed out I can only click No which leaves me where I was The Account is User Account reduced from Admin to Guest reduced to what appears to be Guest Naturally I ended up more or less completely cut off from making any serious alteration to anything I can't delete folders of importance change account status back to Admin nothing I can only use the computer Another issue is that my otherwise empty D partition has files one of them is named quot WindowsImageBackup quot they together take more than G of hard disk space As a Guest it's impossible to open or access them to see what's in them let alone delete them Does anyone know what they are I know that Win is supposed to delete Windows old by itself after days I hope quot WindowsImageBackup quot too but is there any way for me to solve the issue of account status - to return to Admin - and do it by myself alone as soon as possible It all seems like some bug or something it's quite frustrating and I tried to do a Repair Install but as a Guest you're pretty much stuck

A:User Account reduced from Admin to Guest

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

I suggest you try to enable the built in administrator account, log out and then back into the new admin account and then see if you can change your user account back to being an administrator account.

Here are the tutorials you will need to do this:

Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

Account Type - Change in Windows 10

Notice that there are several options for doing each change - you may need to try more than one before you find the one that works for you.

Hope this helps!

Phil

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/37320-user-account-reduced-admin-guest.html
Relevancy 86.49%

Win XP Home SP3 with two accounts - Admin & User

I want autologin for the User account, but this option is not available for non-administrator accounts. So, I log in as User, run TweakUI as Admin and select autologin for the User account.

Reboot

Autologin works properly this first time only. After subsequent boots, windows stops at the login screen.

Any workarounds? Many thanks.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/tweakui-autologin-admin-vs-user-account-462696.html
Relevancy 86.49%

When I set up windows, I did not know about the hidden built in Administrator account. Now I know, but my user account (which I thought was the same as admin just with my name on it) has too many things on it to delete and start over.

Is there a way I can boot into the admin account, take over my user account then delete that account?

A:Becomming full admin from user account

From our excellent tutorials information on the Adm Account

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

The hidden Adm account is not meant for everyday use. If you wish to use it as your regular account, I think that the easiest way would be follow the above tutorial and then to use Windows Easy Transfer, for settings etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/62680-becomming-full-admin-user-account.html
Relevancy 86.49%

I am the sole user of this computer.

The control panel tells me I am an administrator but when I go into my account it says I am a standard user and won't let me change it to Administrator.

I just want to manage my own computer and - for instance - delete files on a CD which has somehow become write protected.

I googled lusrmgr.msc but when I put it in run was told this version of Windows 10 didn't have those rights

thanks in advance

A:Change User Account Admin rights

Originally Posted by phynbarr

I am the sole user of this computer.
The control panel tells me I am an administrator but when I go into my account it says I am a standard user and won't let me change it to Administrator.
I just want to manage my own computer and - for instance - delete files on a CD which has somehow become write protected.
I googled lusrmgr.msc but when I put it in run was told this version of Windows 10 didn't have those rights
thanks in advance

Trying to delete files on a CD? Surely you jest!!! A CD is a read only device, you can NOT delete anything off of a CD.
How did you install Windows 10 without making yourself the Administrator. I've installed W-10 at least a dozen times so far and I've always come up as the ONE and ONLY Administrator.
But still, I have to install and use "Grant Admin Full Control" to be able to 'Take Ownership' of certain files and folders.
Start here:

Grant Admin Full Control - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

And, Good Luck!

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/20183-change-user-account-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 86.49%

I just reformatted my pc and reinstalled a new OS. Anyways in my old OS I had somehow managed to active admin account/rights. I remember doing this because I was installing a theme and had to mess around with .dll files in windows folders.

Anyways the reason I want to get the admin account back is to do the same thing and also I dislike having to click on show processors from all users in task manager..

My question is how to active the admin account which lets me do all of this.. And then get rid of the default user account so I don't need have to select between admin and user when I turn on my computer all the time..

Hope my question was clear.

A:Creating a Admin account and getting my default user.

Hello Ringo,

If you like, the tutorial below will help show you how to enable the built-in elevated "Administrator" account that you can use when you need full rights and access to the PC.

The tutorial below is for an elevated Task Manager shortcut that'll open Task Manager with "Show processes from all users" already clicked on.

Task Manager - Create Elevated Shortcut

Next, you can use the tutorial below to set Windows to automatically log on to a user account of your choice at startup.

Log On Automatically at Startup

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/351737-creating-admin-account-getting-my-default-user.html
Relevancy 86.49%

I'm having some issues with a child accessing inappropriate material on a PC in our home. All of the PC's were originally setup with only Admin accounts (no user accounts).

I want to setup new user accounts and would like to copy the admin desktop and any programs on the Admin account to new user accounts. (Games, educational programs, etc.)

My goal is to lock down the PC's so only an admin (and not) a 'user' can make changes (add software, make dns changes, etc.). (I will be changing the Admin Password)

Any advice to direction to previous posts or other resources on how to do this is appreciated.

A:Copy admin desktop to new user account

From an Administrator User account you can create Standard User accounts. Standard User accounts are severely restricted in what they can do. Programs that have been installed by an Administrator User account will be usable by the Standard accounts unless they were installed "for this account only."

From the Administrator User account you should be able to copy stuff to the Standard User desktops.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/copy-admin-desktop-to-new-user-account.1063920/
Relevancy 86.49%

I cannot find the solution to this anywhere for months now. I've had to do a clean reinstall of my win xp HE. My old user account has dissapeared from user accounts. its still in win explorer is "documents and settings" but every time i try to access it, it says access is denied. Also tried doing so in dos, and with other various programs. I've managed to get the files from within the folder using "getdataback for ntfs".
Would appreciate it if you could help me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-a-user-account-in-admin-mode.328985/
Relevancy 86.49%

How to crack the Admin password with out a user account.

A:Cracking the admin password without a user account

Please read the Rules
we do not assist in cracking passwords

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cracking-the-admin-password-without-a-user-account-366968.html
Relevancy 86.49%

Hi there this is my first post I've been looking through out the forum trying to look for a problem similar to mine My problem happened probably about a few weeks ago When I installed AVG and AVG PC Tuneup with key gen I got off another website I noticed that I cant install alot of of programs because I need Administrative Privileges I type in msconfig and I get the message You do not have sufficient privileges to run System Please run this utility as a user in the Administrators group Also cannot Uninstall AVG I the settings Admin in User cant I the change Account for never set a password for admin and always log on to my account NANNERGTO I cant change the settings in the User Account for Admin I also get the admin shield next to a lot of radio buttons that wont allow me to save or change things in the User control panel I cant delete manage the admin account There are also I cant change the settings in the User Account for Admin shields next to the rename and delete buttons when I right click on a file I have ran Anti-malware and different Anti-spyware programs and no luck finding anything Hopefully there is some light at the end of the tunnel Hope there is enough info to begin with Thanks in advance Chris

A:I cant change the settings in the User Account for Admin

It sounds like you have infected your machine with malware. It is highly inadvisable to use keygens.

I suggest you follow this guide to create a malware removal thread.

TsVk!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/560229/i-cant-change-the-settings-in-the-user-account-for-admin/
Relevancy 86.49%

Unable to change User Account Control settings in Windows 7

I am unable to access my User Account Setting in Windows 7 when I click on it nothing comes up , even though I'm logged in as an administrator. When I click on "Change User Account Control Settings", absolutely nothing happens.

I am not able to access cmd as a admin.I have only one account and that is my admin account.When I click on admin cmd it open but when I right click and try to access it as a administrator nothing comes up.

I am also not able to install any new software on to my computer it show a Pop-up window user account control do you really want to allow this file to make changed on your computer I say yes and nothing happens

Can anyone please help me with this Thanks!

A:I am not able to access User Account Control on win 7 Pro using admin.

Sounds like you have lost administrator rights.
Are you sure your password is correct?

Check and see if you can go to a restore point before this happened.
It might not let you do this either.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/321132-i-am-not-able-access-user-account-control-win-7-pro-using-admin.html
Relevancy 86.49%

Hi folks,

Need some help. I stupidly set the only active admin account to regular user (scenario 4 in this tutorial). Following the instructions to fix this doesn't work because everytime I try to do something I get a window that asks for a password for "ASP.NET Machine Account". I have no idea what the password for this account is and leaving it blank doesn't work. I have a standard login now that won't allow me to create a new account of any sort nor can I make changes to my standard user account without permission from the ASP.NET Machine Account.

Am I screwed?

*edit to add* This is on my Sony Vaio laptop running Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Thanks,
Ron

A:Set the only active admin account to regular user

Hello RonM25,

Use this link and download the software. Burn it to a disc and insert it into your computer. Boot from CD, then it should be step by step following.

Good luck and let us know,
Ben

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261312-set-only-active-admin-account-regular-user.html
Relevancy 86.49%

OK So here s my situation My step son downloaded a bunch of virus which hosed my computer I just finished realoading windows and all my software and now I Admin from rights a Removing account user m going through and removing things from his start menu so he only has access to limited programs he s and he doesn t know to go into the c program files to get anything I was in his standard user account moving stuff so it would only show up on my login So when it came up and asked for an administrator password I typed in my password and did what I had to do The only problem is now he still has access to those things that I authorized I can now go into his account and access my documents I would think you would have to put in the administrator password every time but obviously that s not the case How do I reset that Removing Admin rights from a user account so he no longer has access to that stuff nbsp Removing Admin rights from a user account

A:Removing Admin rights from a user account

I assume that you were working from within his account in moving the shortcuts, and gave the password to let you access folders in your account. The result is that the file permissions on those folders have changed to let him in whenever he wants. If this is correct, you should be able to reset the permissions on each of those folders using this article in the Techguy Library of Knowledge:
http://library.techguy.org/wiki/File_Permissions

By the way if you have Windows 7, you may be able to use the Windows Parental Controls to help keep him out of mischief.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/parental-controls

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-admin-rights-from-a-user-account.1048385/
Relevancy 86.49%

I need help! Months ago my pc started behaving strange, My icons were missing, files i deleted wouldnt go away and my admin account can't be used to fix anything because the pw is erased so i can click ok when UAC asks permission to make a change but actually signing on isnt happening. Pics are gone and there are a ton of users that i didnt make and I am the only person on my laptop. please help.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60, x64 Family 15 Model 104 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1982 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M, 64 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 238464 MB, Free - 166865 MB;
Motherboard: Quanta, 30CF
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus 2012, Updated and Enabled

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-account-has-taken-over-my-laptop-i-am-no-longer-admin.1058996/
Relevancy 86.49%

I want to delete the user account that uses the buiilt-in-administrater. I'm uncomfortable with using anthing anything but User Accounts in Control Panel but may have too. Step by step, please.
Bill

A:Delete a Built=In -Admin User Account

The built-in "administrator" account cannot be deleted, at all. It's by design defined in Windows to always exists (so that there is always at least one admin).
You can disable it if you never use it, so that you cannot login as it or use UAC to elevate to it, but the account MUST exist.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/318212-delete-built-admin-user-account.html
Relevancy 86.18%

Hi,
I am working on a 2012 ADDS based network and I have the following requirement.
I want to create a local administrator user account on the local domain computers (Win XP, 7 and 8) which will have full access on the PC but not the permission to edit other local administrator accounts.
Please advise how I can achieve this.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

A:local admin account with no permit to edit other admin accounts

Local admin account by definition has access to everything and even if it doesn't it can take ownership and give itself the rights. In other words i am not sure that you can achieve what you
are trying to do.

I would suggest create a single shared local admin account and give it your desktop admins, change the password every 60-90 days to keep it more secure. This is common practice in many
organizations.

http://www.dannyeckes.com/create-local-admin-group-policy-gpo/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/125eabac-06f7-45ee-9792-f642c82eab2e/local-admin-account-with-no-permit-to-edit-other-admin-accounts?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 86.18%

The firm in which I work has a Lenovo PC with Windows 10 installed. There are two user profiles on the computer, the admin and another normal account without administration rights. We have only the password of the account without administrator rights.

The network administrator had left the company surprisingly in without giving the administrator password of the PC and we cannot contact him anymore.

Now we want to install another programme and we cannot do this without an administrator account.

I disabled secure boot and have tried to boot the PC with an Linux USB Stick, but it do not boot from the stick.

Any suggestion how I either can reset the password of the administrator account or create an new account with administrator rights.

A:Windows 10 admin password reset or new account with admin rights

Although there may be techniques to recover a lost password it is forum policy that we do not discuss these here - your best bet would be to visit a local security specialist and get them to recover/reset it for you - and a change to the policy for the replacement admin may be a good idea, I always wrote a list of all passwords and stored it with the Managing Director and also in a fireproof safe

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/38274-windows-10-admin-password-reset-new-account-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 86.18%

Basically I have two admin accounts one of which belongs to another member of family and one which belongs to me. Heres the situation:

The person who owns the other Admin account is changing my accounts password (also an admin account). Surely there is some way to make it so that I can not have my account's password changed unless it is logged on to my actual account (so my account's password can only be changed if my account is logged on?)

Is there a way?

In urgent need of help!

Thanks!

A:Prevent Admin Accounts From Changing Other Admin Account Passwords In Xp!

Here's an article (for Win2K) that may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309799But, IMO, the issue here is that the other person can't be trusted. In such a situation I'd suggest making the other account into a Standard User account - that way they won't be able to mess with your stuff, and they'll be reliant upon you for anything that requires administrative privileges.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/153087/prevent-admin-accounts-from-changing-other-admin-account-passwords-in-xp/
Relevancy 85.87%

Hello guys Please help me find a way to solve my problem Yesterday when I first set up Win I have created a windows account with my email Soon after I have realized that my C Users folder was messed up it was a shorter version of my email so I decided to swith to a local account instead and to my huge surprise I have love every right to change anything I have tried every solution I have found on the internet I am able to boot in save mode but the cmd doesn't point to the system so I cannot execute NET USER Win local from after Lost account switching to one rights Admin 10 ADMINISTRATOR ACTIVE YES I spent hours and I couldn't fix it I even switched back to the win account and I still do not have any rights to make changes I can't even make changes in control panel in safe mode It's getting frustrating and after the update the solutions on the other forums do not even make sence anymore I just want a local acount with my right name and administrator rights Please help

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/70169-lost-admin-rights-after-switching-win-10-account-local-one.html
Relevancy 85.56%

Hello everybody!

I am about to run haywire here...
One of our computers is acting up and ... worst case: it is the computer my boss is using

I just noticed that the user account is set to "debugger user". No admin account (deactivated), no guest account (deactivated) and I can not activate any of these accounts... I cannot set up a new account either!
I am stuck here as I cannot install any programs or updates.

As I don?t have the slightest idea what happened, I am in desperate need of your help. I definitely did NOT change the account settings, nor did my boss ( sort of computer illiterate ), but something did change the account settings...

Need input badly!
Any suggestions how to solve the problem (preferably without having to install everything anew!) would be more than welcome.

Thanks for your help,
LittleX

A:[SOLVED] Only 'debugger user'; on Win7? No Admin account?

see if this can be done. Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista - How-To Geek
maybe from safe mode with command?

good luck

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-only-debugger-user-on-win7-no-admin-account-544354.html
Relevancy 85.56%

When I attempt to install an update or new software, I get a popbox requesting admin approval from the admin user account I created. But when I enter the admin password I get a wrong user/password error. So I left that standard user account (used by our sons) and tried to login to the admin account directly, but I get the same error.

It isn't a password mistake that's been the same for years.

Short of reinstalling Windows 7 can I remove that admin account or reset the password? Maybe from a prompt?

I'm not very familar with Windows 7. It's Home Premium 64-bit.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

A:User admin account preventing installation of software

You must have the password wrong. Password Reset

If you still have the factory install that is the worst possible install of Win7 one can have, larded with bloatware and duplicate utilities which interfere with better versions built into Win7. This would be a good time to do what most tech enthusiasts do and Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. Everything needed is in the blue link to get and keep a perfect install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/349315-user-admin-account-preventing-installation-software.html
Relevancy 85.56%

I am only user on this computer and heard about the hidden Admin account for Windows 8. I logged into it, but all stuff from normal account such as documents and program shortcuts were missing. Is there any way I can transfer the Admin full access rights to my primary user account? Please help and thanks

A:Hidden Admin Account Access Transfer to User...

Hello Skeet, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Just to note, that while signed in to the built-in elevated "Administrator" account, Store apps will not work.

Your other files are not missing, but just in the other account's "C:\Users\(user-name)" folder instead. Since the built-in Administrator is a separate account, it will have it's own "C:\Uses\Administrator" folder and settings.

If you like you could just include the other account's folders into the Administrator's libraries.
Library - Add a Folder to in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/21934-hidden-admin-account-access-transfer-user.html
Relevancy 85.56%

I installed Opera on my admin account but there's no sign of it on my user account , i usually see things i installed when i used the admin account in my user account but i just need to activate it , not happening with Opera .

Anyone know why

Thanks

A:Installed Opera on admin account but need to re install on user?

Make sure you chose to install it for all users when running the installer (this should trigger an UAC prompt):

Otherwise, by default it only installs for the currently logged user. Seems quite like your case.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/340329-installed-opera-admin-account-but-need-re-install-user.html
Relevancy 85.56%

I only have one account on my recently installed Windows and accidentally from User type account changed Guest to Admin managed to change the account type from Admin to Guest in User Accounts Now I am not able to run any programs User account type changed from Admin to Guest that require administrator password The popping up window says quot to continue type an administrator password then click yes quot However it does not give me any option to enter the administrator password and the button quot yes quot is disabled see attachment Also at the logon I don't have an option to User account type changed from Admin to Guest choose any other account than the one that used to be admin but is now guest I feel like I entered a loop because now User account type changed from Admin to Guest I am not able to go back to User Accounts to change it back Are there any options for me to change the account type back to Admin It had all worked fine before but I changed my hotmail password recently and was not able to start Windows without entering the password any more so I wanted to adapt the password in User Accounts I did not find that option so left User Accounts must have then accidentally changed the account type still not sure how but since then I am not able to enter it back since I cannot run any programs as administrator Thanks for any help Piotr

A:User account type changed from Admin to Guest

Hello Piotr, and welcome to Eight Forums.

If you like, you could try refreshing Windows 8 to see if it will set you up another administrator account. You may need to do so at boot. Be sure to back up anything that you do not want to lose first though.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/22180-user-account-type-changed-admin-guest.html
Relevancy 85.56%

Hi there you all I just installed windows bit and i am having this new enigma with the proper way of installing my apllications I read that there are some applications that should be Admin to User Account rights softwares?? or install installed using the quot run as administrator quot option and some of them not My question is how do i know a program should be installled using this option Is it possible that a program doesn 't run correctly or without optimun capacity because of using the wrong usser account How do i know that i am not running as Admin by default Which account should i use by default in order to be optimally safe Why when I go to my computer manage Local users and group Users double click on Administrator i see the quot Account is disabled quot check box checked Thanks in advance and User Account or Admin rights to install softwares?? sorry for my ignorance i just need a clear and easy explanation for this because i have a User Account or Admin rights to install softwares?? lot installing to do Audio plugins and softwares and i think i need to be clear about this Thanks in advance Cheers Alberto

A:User Account or Admin rights to install softwares??

Quote: Originally Posted by amoretam

Hi there you all!
I just installed windows 7 64bit and i am having this new enigma with the proper way of installing my apllications:
I read that there are some applications that should be installed using the "run as administrator" option, and some of them not.
My question is how do i know a program should be installled using this option??

Is it possible that a program doesn 't run correctly or without optimun capacity because of using the wrong usser account??

How do i know that i am not running as Admin by default?

Which account should i use by default in order to be optimally safe?

Why when I go to my computer/manage/Local users and group/Users/double click on Administrator i see the "Account is disabled" check box checked??

Thanks in advance and sorry for my ignorance, i just need a clear and easy explanation for this because i have a lot installing to do (Audio plugins and softwares) and i think i need to be clear about this...

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Alberto

1-for safety use a standard account.
2-run app normally unless they wont run. If run as admin is needed do so.
3-Which admin account is disabled?

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/83407-user-account-admin-rights-install-softwares.html
Relevancy 85.56%

In Windows Vista, when I try to execute a program from a standard user account that requires the admin password, it says the password is incorrect. It is the correct password because using the same password, I can log in to the Admin account.

Can someone help?

A:Standard user account will not accept Admin password

Welcome
Lets first make sure that the problem is not worse than it seems
Run an sfc check
System Files - SFC Command
Make a full anti virus scan
Download and run a full scan with malwarebytes.
If all are negative
Open another user account and see if the problem persisits, it may be corruption in one account.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/291426-standard-user-account-will-not-accept-admin-password.html
Relevancy 85.56%

So I'm logged in as a standard user and at start up I have to type in 15 admin passwords just to get the things running on the computer. Especially Asus AI Suite II. But I was just wondering is there a way to get that program to stop asking for all the passwords? I do use it ALOT and the program has saved my behind a couple times when I overclocked to high one time. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

A:Standard User account and the barage of Admin passwords

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoib

We have liftoff!!!

I uninstalled everything. Logged in as the standard user. Hit the install package. It begged me for the admin - I responded. Install completed successfully. I went to the shortcut and took ownership of the referenced folder after providing again, the admin password. In the prop panel, the ownership was listed as "\\....Administrator" - and I reassigned ownership to the standard user, HA017. I closed out and rebooted.

Bingo! Standard user now has direct privs into the application - no admin password prompt.

BTW, before I got to this point of uninstall and reinstall, I did try the AppLocker secpol snap in as you suggested. When I called in the default "Path" item, It already populated HA017 as having "Allow" rights along with the Administrators Group and Administrators. With the standard user, this still failed. I went and added the "Everyone" object to "Allow" and tried the standard user. Did not work again.

So, happily, we're back in business and we didn't have to sacrifice security for functionality.

H

Would the above really work???

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/367402-standard-user-account-barage-admin-passwords.html
Relevancy 85.56%

I recently purchased a used computer, created an account for myself, but am unable to remove the former user's account. In control panel under user accounts or manage accounts, the former account does not display so I can't delete. Under windows explorer the former account displays and I can work in either account, but want to have only one account on pc for security reasons. Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 85.56%

I'm going to let a technician have my Windows 7 64bit PC in order to do clone the HDD to a SSD and then replace the HDD with the SSD. I think the techn wants an admin level account. I am concerned that (s)he not gain access to confidential files etc that would be available to me were I logged in. Is there a way to let the tech have admin access (s)he wants w/o having to be concerned about the privacy of the info on it? Can you create an admin level account which deprives its user from gaining access to files on a certain directory under c:\users

A:granting another user access to an account with 'admin' privileges

Acerman why don't you clone the drive yourself it is really not that hard with Macrium Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

See my pic it shows the process but remember the drive you clone to has to be as large or larger than the drive you are cloning from.

There is a way of dragging and dropping the partitions into a smaller drive but it is not reliable enough for me.

The alternative is to image your drive slip a new one in - install the system using this
Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 and then use the image to get back your data. As you seem to be concerned that you have data that you do not want to be copied or whatever. That is so easy if you know how and I can and I am not a techie so the shop bloke would be more than capable of doing that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/346184-granting-another-user-access-account-admin-privileges.html