Windows Support Forum

Removing local admin rights on domain network

Q: Removing local admin rights on domain network

I have a domain network with about 25 XP workstations. Currently they are all local admin users. We want to try to stop them loading unapproved software and other junk. Can I remove the local admin rights and just make them a standard user? If they are set as a standard user will the Windows Updates still install without entering an admin password?? Also, what about Java and Adobe updates? What is the best way to handle this?

thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Removing local admin rights on domain network

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 80.6%

My computer is member of "Domain Computers".
My domain account is member of "administrator".
When i logg into my computer with my domain user account i have although NOT administrator priviligies.

ex: i get this message when run: devmgmt.msc:
"You are logged on as a standard user. You can view device settings in Device Manager, but you must be logged on as an administrator to make changes."

What can i do to get admin rights.
I will do everything to avoid logging in to local computer with local user.

A:i have no domain admin rights on local computer

Quote: Originally Posted by nettmester

My computer is member of "Domain Computers".
My domain account is member of "administrator".
When i logg into my computer with my domain user account i have although NOT administrator priviligies.

ex: i get this message when run: devmgmt.msc:
"You are logged on as a standard user. You can view device settings in Device Manager, but you must be logged on as an administrator to make changes."

What can i do to get admin rights.
I will do everything to avoid logging in to local computer with local user.

Hi NM,

If your the domain administrator, make sure the existing domain group policy (designed for XP or Vista) is not being applied to your Win7 machine as its about the only thing can be reverting your permissions.

Steven

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/62601-i-have-no-domain-admin-rights-local-computer.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi We upgraded our desktops from Windows XP to Windows Admin Local Admin Group Rights local without Assign with Windows XP we used the resource kit s CDROMLOCK EXE to lock down CD and DVD Once installed a user had to be in the local administrators group to access a CD or DVD on that desktop For Windows it is not Windows compatible so I run the EXE in Vista SP- Compatibility mode which works perfect My question With a user in the local admin group they have access to the CD and DVD but also have full access to the desktop which is of concern Does anyone know how to assign a user name Either local Desktop or a Server domain account to a Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group service or Exe Is there a way to either create a folder with full rights and then put the exe in the folder giving the user full admin rights to the folder or assign full admin rights to s single EXE file I am just not sure how Windows controls local admin rights other than the local Admin Group If Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group this is in the wrong group please move Thanks B nbsp

A:Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group

You should be able to right-click on the exe file, then choose properties. On the "Compatibility" tab, there should be a checkbox for "Run as administrator", which you can check (enable) and save settings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/assign-local-admin-rights-without-local-admin-group.1123053/
Relevancy 87.29%

We have a script that installs a program (Office 2007). It then imports some registry file settings. It imports HKLM and HKCU. We have noticed that if this is installed as a local admin, the settings seem to take if we scan the box as a local admin(we are running a security scan to determine this (the security scan checks multiple gpo's supposed to be set by the program/reg imports). If we scan as a domain admin, the system doesn't seem to show they are set. We believe we see the opposite if it's installed as a domain admin. For the domain scan they are set, for the local scan they are not. Does this have to do with how you can change registry entries as a domain admin versus local admin? The registry settings are imported with reg.exe import filename.reg like commands in the .bat script. Any ideas are helpful.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gpo-settings-reg-files-local-admin-versus-domain-admin.984826/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi, how can i grant local computer admin rights to the domain users on the same computer? Please help, thanks.

Relevancy 86.43%

Hi, how can i grant local computer admin rights to the domain users on the same computer? Please help, thanks.

Relevancy 85.57%

I m new to this forum am not a techie don t think I m asking for help in doing anything illegal so to How laptop rights back to add admin w/o domain please let me know if anyone can help me I stupidly followed someone s advice to rename my work computer laptop in order to bypass admin rights and now I can t log on to laptop to set it back to how it was originally My laptop was set up as a network computer that required my network login to How to add laptop back to domain w/o admin rights gain access to Windows XP Professional So since I renamed my computer and removed myself from the domain it will no longer allow me to log on to my laptop at all I tried to boot up in safe mode so that I could try to set it back to how it was but it still comes up with the Windows login screen that won t accept my network login Is there anyway that I can bypass this in order to put myself back onto the domain without having to admit to my IT department what I did nbsp

A:How to add laptop back to domain w/o admin rights

Talk to your work's IT department.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-add-laptop-back-to-domain-w-o-admin-rights.859497/
Relevancy 84.71%

I have a windows 2000 network that someone previously setup. I am having problem logging into one specific machine. The account does not seem to have admin rights to the local machine. I logged in as domain adming on the machine and went to control panel->user and added the domian account to the local admionistrators group but it still has a problem. Where do I look from here. I tried this account on another machine and it worked fine.

A:Admin rights to local machine

What type of network is it?

Peer-To-Peer, or are you using a domain?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-rights-to-local-machine.217353/
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi guys,

This is driving me crazy. I just implemented roaming profiles, but now my users are having issues because some of our applications require local admin rights. Also, we allow them to install software as needed.

Is there a way I can give the users Local Administrator rights either using a logon script or any other way?

Thanks for the help,
Wayne

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-admin-rights-with-roaming-profile.610857/
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi all I m a fairly Users for Kingdom Local Admin for My Rights My new guy to the whole My Kingdom for Local Admin Rights for My Users Active Directory thing and GPO paradigm so forgive me if the question seems droll - but I can t for the life of me figure out how to grant Local Admin rights to users on their laptops while logging into the domain I ve looked evrywhere - books forums websites - but there s not much information on the topic I usually hear the typcal security arguments IE - quot you re inviting malware quot and quot That s a bad idea quot Well when the bossguy can t get AOL to intall he s kinda pissy at having to call me over Ditto for every other software installation update etc I know one solution is to have the user log onto the local machine and have quot local admin rights quot but that requires that he log on intall log off log onto domain etc Too much too complicated The long and short of it is I m looking for a way to grant admin rights for their local machine while logged onto the domain Would I do this through groups GPO or a combanation Thanks so much for any information you could give me SW nbsp

A:My Kingdom for Local Admin Rights for My Users

The way to do it is to login to the computer with domain admin permissions (that's often the administrator account on the domain controller), manage local computer, local users and groups, administrators group, add, and choose the user that's supposed to have local admin privileges. Click OK for everything and you're good. A method I've used before is to create a group for each computer, add that group to the local administrators group, then you can add or remove a user from the groups as necessary. You can find out how to do it with group policy here --> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_21577234.html which is the top result in a google search for "how to grant local admin domain". I can't say I'm impressed with your searching skills unless this doesn't answer your question.

Joe

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-kingdom-for-local-admin-rights-for-my-users.510872/
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi All,

No concept of domain all are in workgroup mode. All user accounts are with local admin privilege, any suggestion how to restrict the user from full admin rights. I had tried using power users but some IE applications (Oracle / Java Applet) does not function properly where it installs Jinitator. Is their any possibility of modifying the Local security policy and restrict the user from FULL access and limited to their applications.

Thanks & Regards,
Kiran.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restrict-users-from-full-admin-rights-in-windows-xp-not-in-domain-491037.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi All,

No concept of domain all are in workgroup mode. All user accounts are with local admin privilege, any suggestion how to restrict the user from full admin rights. I had tried using power users but some IE applications (Oracle / Java Applet) does not function properly where it installs Jinitator. Is their any possibility of modifying the Local security policy and restrict the user from FULL access and limited to their applications.
Waiting for a positive response.

Thanks & Regards,
Kiran.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restrict-users-from-full-admin-rights-in-windows-xp-not-in-domain.929964/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hello guys Please help me find a way to solve my problem Yesterday when I first set up Win I have created a windows account with my email Soon after I have realized that my C Users folder was messed up it was a shorter version of my email so I decided to swith to a local account instead and to my huge surprise I have love every right to change anything I have tried every solution I have found on the internet I am able to boot in save mode but the cmd doesn't point to the system so I cannot execute NET USER Win local from after Lost account switching to one rights Admin 10 ADMINISTRATOR ACTIVE YES I spent hours and I couldn't fix it I even switched back to the win account and I still do not have any rights to make changes I can't even make changes in control panel in safe mode It's getting frustrating and after the update the solutions on the other forums do not even make sence anymore I just want a local acount with my right name and administrator rights Please help

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/70169-lost-admin-rights-after-switching-win-10-account-local-one.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Folks - At my new job we are running about 16 PC's on a network and app.'s like outlook and some specific chapter 13 software..My question is.......if I sit down to a PC login as admin and start MS updates, then cannot make it make to the PC to complete them, can the user of that PC just login as them with their password and continue working normally, or can't they just cold reboot the PC then login and every thing's fine??? It is my understanding that if they return to their PC and see that an admin was logged in, they just needed to change it to their user name and password and everything's fine...?? YES or NO ???

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-rights-on-local-machine-while-installing-ms-updates.711030/
Relevancy 81.7%

hi all need help in removing the admin rights ,,i cant access the CMD via admin rights (or making it an admin) , cant access local security policies, cant access UAC/user acount contorl... is there any other way???

thanks

A:help.. removing admin rights in all moves..

I'm confused at your phrasing...you want to remove admin rights (from what? your user account?), but you say you don't have admin rights?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f155/help-removing-admin-rights-all-moves-277239/
Relevancy 81.7%

I've reach a wall...
When a Network User is logged On they get prompted for Admin rights when they try to install something or change a setting... I'd rather them enter the Local Admin account on Windows 7 then giving them a Network Admin info since all the private files associated with that network admin would be available to them... But every prompt is asking for DOMAIN admin

How can I temporally switch the Admin Prompt from DOMAIN to LOCAL?

A:Domain Admin vs Local Admin

Why should users have admin credentials in the first place? Why are you letting them install applications? Or change settings? Your setup makes no sense what so ever.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/188915-domain-admin-vs-local-admin.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi First time poster here I am (DOMAIN) access No admin local in my first year being in the IT world I was hired in as a helping hand to the Admin here and then he quit Now I find myself in an interesting position as he has not yet been replaced Anyway A machine was recently reformatted and re-added to the domain Even though the computer is located in the proper OU in AD and the user is configured on the machine as a local admin there are still greyed out boxes in many places and she is told she does not have the proper access when she tried to install things from her domain account on the machine We have a guy in that office with full Domain power I kind of wonder if he might have added the machine to the domain and THEN changed the computer name Wouldn t that cause some No local admin access (DOMAIN) kinds of issues I am waiting response from him on that Can t really think of any more relevant details nbsp

A:No local admin access (DOMAIN)

Well, as soon as I posted this the guy responded. He found under documents and settings the username as well as another entry of username.domain, but with standard directories underneath(desktop, favorites, etc). Problem seems to have gone away. I'm still curious why the two user profiles were created. Maybe he added her user name during OS installation?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-local-admin-access-domain.695548/
Relevancy 80.84%

Hello here is my case I'm using a laptop I'm using this laptop at office and at home At office I am a domain admin let's say MyDomain MyUser and I use this user to log in to my machine I have added MyDomain MyUser as a local admin of my machine At hime I'm not connected to quot MyDomain quot but I still log in using the account MyDomain MyUser It's ok I can connect But anyway when I'm at home there are some things I cannot do like doing quot cmd admin local Domain user and iisreset quot -- gt must be admin launching a quot visual studio quot solution whena project is registered to Domain user and local admin IIS -- gt must be admin In SQL Server I cannot do some modification when I log as windows authentication and even if this user is dbowner As I understand when I'm disconnected of the domain it does not quot really quot recognize me as being an admin any more until he quot can be sure quot it's me by checking in the domain There are some scenario where this is very blocking for me Can I solve that And how Many thanks

A:Domain user and local admin

Welcome to Sevenforums,

I suggest you to have a look at the MS Support for Windows 7:
Windows 7 Solution Center

Do a search for keyword "Domain" (Domain not available) in the "Advanced Search" Tab.
This will display around 1000 results. Readed some and you might find what you're looking for.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/104715-domain-user-local-admin.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Hey guys I have yet another problem question I am trying to catch up on all the little jobs that I have been putting off for the last in Domain a Admin Local Account few months Todays job is locking down security The company that created our main application keeps the servers it runs on maintained and up to date so they need to have full admin access to the servers it runs off Now they connect to us using our Citrix system and up until now they have Local Admin Account in a Domain had Domain admin status I know this shouldnt be done but we have a very good relationship with them So today I figured I would remove their domain admin status and make it so they are admins of the servers they need to be therefore limiting what they have access to I would normally sort this out by going to the machine they will be working on and adding the user id to the Local Administrators group however when I go into control panel on the servers they do not have a quot useres and computers quot option So my question is how can I make them admin of the servers and not have access anywhere else on the network nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-admin-account-in-a-domain.372504/
Relevancy 80.84%

I've done this before on NT, but I don't remember how. I'd also like to do it in 2K/XP.

If I had to guess, it would be in NT's musrmgr, but it's not.

Relevancy 80.84%

OK So here s my situation My step son downloaded a bunch of virus which hosed my computer I just finished realoading windows and all my software and now I Admin from rights a Removing account user m going through and removing things from his start menu so he only has access to limited programs he s and he doesn t know to go into the c program files to get anything I was in his standard user account moving stuff so it would only show up on my login So when it came up and asked for an administrator password I typed in my password and did what I had to do The only problem is now he still has access to those things that I authorized I can now go into his account and access my documents I would think you would have to put in the administrator password every time but obviously that s not the case How do I reset that Removing Admin rights from a user account so he no longer has access to that stuff nbsp Removing Admin rights from a user account

A:Removing Admin rights from a user account

I assume that you were working from within his account in moving the shortcuts, and gave the password to let you access folders in your account. The result is that the file permissions on those folders have changed to let him in whenever he wants. If this is correct, you should be able to reset the permissions on each of those folders using this article in the Techguy Library of Knowledge:
http://library.techguy.org/wiki/File_Permissions

By the way if you have Windows 7, you may be able to use the Windows Parental Controls to help keep him out of mischief.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/parental-controls

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-admin-rights-from-a-user-account.1048385/
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi After Dell support tried to troubleshoot some network card issues they downloaded creating admin Malware appdata/local/temp files hijacking rights in & a buncha stuff including windows updates and drivers but also f-d some stuff up because after that my McAfee stopped working and Dell said it was a bug with McAfee that they were seeing a lot and uninstalled it paid version mind you and said to ignore it At the same Malware creating files in appdata/local/temp & hijacking admin rights time they replaced the MB and ever since then I've been having issues with my MB sound where the sound from the speakers L and R come out of only the L integrated onboard speaker However if I plug in headphones into the jack then it properly plays L sound from L headphone and R sound from R headphone Dell keeps trying to get me to download this and that to try and solve the issue and I am worried that they are causing some of my problems Especially since the last series of updated they made to my drivers somehow made my McAfee not work at all and they disabled it Which is exactly the same time frame that all the files popped up in my temp folder I have no idea if any of this is related or just coincidental Then a week or so after I noticed my laptop's hard drive space got sucked in half with a small SSD it was clear something was wrong I noticed in my appdata local temp there are dozens of zip files being made each day named Temp - followed by a personal file folder name through Temp -xx everyday that I turn on my computer and it goes online it seems to generate a new series of these folder copies In addition I also see folders created titled Temp blinkyappRsrc en-US zip and Temp obsidianappRsrc en-US zip A during the last few weeks I did get the BS error with some sort of kernel error message that I unfortunately do not have a picture of It was when Dell was trying to troubleshoot my computer and downloaded some drivers I am not sure if it was a valid error or not but I thought I would just mention it Opening task manager there are multiple instances of the following running processes WmiPrvSE exe instances chrome exe instances nvvsvc exe svchost exe dllhost exe varies csrss exe This is a Dell xps z running Windows with Avast and having run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware quick and full-no malware was found CCleaner has been run error checking Something just isn't adding up I would greatly appreciate any assistance AVAST detected a Win Trojan john exe in some of those temp files but has moved them to sandbox also i noticed that there were approx files folders in appdata local temp that I was not able to delete when i tried it told me i need admin rights well i'm the main account and only admin account holder so i couldn't understand why under my account as admin i am not given security to access those files so I checked the permissions and i saw home users and an unknown account S- - - - - - - both having permissions in addition to my account guest and administrators I deleted the unknown account and am doing a search on the user name on my C drive to see if I see it anywhere else so far it is showing up in C Windows Tasks as a GoogleUpdateTaskUserS- - - - - - UA job protected lock icon C Windows Tasks as a GoogleUpdateTaskUserS- - - - - - Core job protected lock icon SARVI- Z Users Guest AppData Roaming Microsoft Protect S- - - - - - - SARVI- Z Users Sarvi AppData Roaming Microsoft Crypto RSA S- - - - - - - C ProgramData Microsoft PlayReady Cache not shared protected lock icon C Users Guest AppData Roaming Microsoft Protect S- - - - - - - shared C ProgramData Microsoft Application Virtualization Client SoftGrid Client AppFS Storage ENU- - - GlblVol sftfs v S- - - - - - - pkg C ProgramData Microsoft Application Virtualization Client SoftGrid Client AppFS Storage ENU- - - GlblVol sftfs v S- - - - - - - tmp Any help would be greatly appreciated This is my only computer and I need it as it is my only method to work thanks again in advance for a... Read more

A:Malware creating files in appdata/local/temp & hijacking admin rights

also as I stated, this is a SSD and I hate to think what all this adding/deleting is doing to the lifespan of the drive. if I even have a drive to save anymore since I can't seem to find what the heck has infected the system.

please any help would be greatly appreciated! I really need this computer in order to work.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494585/malware-creating-files-in-appdatalocaltemp-hijacking-admin-rights/
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi all We have unfortunately just ended up a domain admin in etc. accounts Local group with our first Vista machine here at work and mins into my setup Ive Local admin group accounts in a domain etc. already run into a question Dell Vista Business joined into our domain Having googled around a bunch I understand that the local admin account is disabled upon install I found a tip that recommended running cmd as admin and net user administrator password net user administrator activate yes I performed this got command Local admin group accounts in a domain etc. successful returned from both but when I try to login as lt compname gt Administrator the login or Local admin group accounts in a domain etc. try to use the same to perform any tasks on the system I get denied and am told bad user or pw I ran user setup as domain admin and confirmed that my local user account is part of the administrator group found that the local Administrator account was still set as disabled so I cleared the disabled checkbox Im too paranoid to use quot Set password quot however in case my prior password did somehow work it doesnt appear to have and by then Setting Password I d be screwing my admin account of its encrypted files do I even have any if the accounts never been logged into Yknow what started all this Trying to delete Adobe Speed Launcher and Dell Network Manager from the Startup in the start menu cause god forbid I do that without being a bloody domain admin Suggestions as to why my local user account lets call it bob can t do any admin functions though Im part of Adminstrators group locally What have I done wrong as far as setting up Local Admin Can I indeed Set Password safely on local admin thanks Brett nbsp

A:Local admin group accounts in a domain etc.

Why fight the system? Use an account other than the "Administrator" account. It would appear Vista just isn't designed for that to be a user account.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-admin-group-accounts-in-a-domain-etc.651460/
Relevancy 79.98%

Hello I am a Network Administrator at a local school On a certain number of machines when I am logged in as the user and attempt to install software it simply tells me that I need to have administrator privileges and prevents me from installing anything so in other words no administrator login prompt which is what I am looking for - simply type in the password and move forward Now on most PC's this works fine I click to install software the admin login information pops up I type in my administrator login and password it installs and everyone is happy How do I fix this for the machines users that do not prompt me for this local admin question login domain PS I should also add that the PC's are in fact on the domain and local domain admin login question I can log into the administrator login by logging off the user and into the administrator account but i'd like to be able to install software directly from the users profile and not switch to the administrator login which some PC's I can and others it tells me I local domain admin login question need admin privileges

A:local domain admin login question

I bet this is what you are looking for

User Account Control (UAC) - Change Prompt Behavior for Standard Users

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/379186-local-domain-admin-login-question.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hello, I am on a domain at my job and amd setting up a laptop for a user. We always set everyone up on the domain, but I am wanting to set up a local admin account, not on our domain so they cannot access all of our files. What is the best way to go about this?

A:Creating a local admin account NOT on domain

Hello Mike,

I don't have any experience with domains, but you might see if the local built-in elevated Administrator account may work for this.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306910-creating-local-admin-account-not-domain.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Howdy sorry to burden you with another problem but I'm hoping someone can be of some assistance to me Well from what I can tell after removing Poweliks from my laptop I no longer have Admin Rights I can't access pictures even pictures rights Virus revoked (i think) removing Poweliks after Admin saved to my dropbox folder I can access documents videos and the like though I attempted to adjust my administrator rights but when I click on it nothing happens Also sometimes I notice consent pop up in my Task Manager before random tasks begin multiplying Any assistance will be greatly appreciated DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD Internet Explorer Run by user at on - - Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT - AV Webroot SecureAnywhere Enabled Admin rights revoked after removing (i think) Poweliks Virus Updated A FE - CB-F - - SP Webroot SecureAnywhere Enabled Updated DDC FF - EF -FB B- DF - A AC BB SP Windows Defender Enabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF Running Processes C windows system lsm exe C windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Program Files x Webroot WRSA exe C windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C windows system atiesrxx exe C windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C windows system atieclxx exe C windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C windows System spoolsv exe C windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files x Common Files ABBYY FineReaderSprint Licensing NetworkLicenseServer exe C ProgramData EPSON EPW SSRP E S STB EXE C ProgramData EPSON EPW SSRP E S RPB EXE C windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files x Norton PC Checkup Engine ccSvcHst exe C Program Files x Microsoft Application Virtualization Client sftvsa exe C windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files x TeamViewer Version TeamViewer Service exe C windows system TODDSrv exe C Program Files TOSHIBA Power Saver TosCoSrv exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE C Program Files x Microsoft Application Virtualization Client sftlist exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSvcM exe C windows system taskhost exe C Program Files x Norton PC Checkup Engine ccSvcHst exe C windows system Dwm exe C Program Files x Webroot WRSA exe C windows Explorer EXE C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Virtualization Handler CVHSVC EXE C Program Files x TeamViewer Version TeamViewer exe C Program Files x TeamViewer Version tv w exe C Program Files x TeamViewer Version tv x exe C windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files Elantech ETDCtrl exe C Program Files TOSHIBA Power Saver TPwrMain exe C Program Files TOSHIBA FlashCards TCrdMain exe C Program Files TOSHIBA BulletinBoard TosNcCore exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ReelTime TosReelTimeMonitor exe C Program Files TOSHIBA SmartFaceV SmartFaceVWatcher exe C Windows System spool drivers x E IATIEJA EXE C Program Files x Wondershare MobileGo for Android MobileGoService exe C Program Files x Toshiba TOSHIBA Service Station ToshibaServiceStation exe C Program Files Elantech ETDCtrlHelper exe C Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Program Files x DivX DivX Update DivXUpdate exe C Program Files x Common Files Wondershare Wondershare Helper Compact WSHelper exe C Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CCC exe C Program Files x TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Service Station TMachInfo exe C Program Files x Norton PC Checkup Engine SymcPCCULaunchSvc exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA HDD SSD Alert TosSmartSrv exe C windows Microsoft Net Framework v WPF PresentationFontCache exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA HDD SSD Alert TosSENotify exe C windows System svchost exe -k secsvcs C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Program Files Internet Explorer... Read more

A:Admin rights revoked after removing (i think) Poweliks Virus

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.===Download the version of this tool for your operating system.Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (64 bit)Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (32 bit)and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.Press Scan button.It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.===Please paste the logs in your next reply DO NOT ATTACH THEM unless specified.To attach a file select the "More Reply Option" and follow the instructions.Wait for further instructions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/560991/admin-rights-revoked-after-removing-i-think-poweliks-virus/
Relevancy 79.12%

hi,

I work in a school with a CC3 (RM) network basically modified windows xp and 2000, i have joined a standard windows xp machine to the domain and added a user on the domain local admins group, however when this user logs in they can see the c drive and access other usually restricted parts of windows what they can not do is change the screen resolutions or right click on the task bar.

what would cause this to happen? my understanding is that once the user is in the local admin group they should have full access to everything on that laptop and rm will not supplt support because they do not support standard windows.

there is no way to block this kind of use from active directory is there ??

Relevancy 79.12%

90 percent of Windows 7 flaws fixed by removing admin rights.

After tabulating all the vulnerabilities published in Microsoft's 2009 Security Bulletins, it turns out 90 percent of the vulnerabilities can be mitigated by configuring users to operate without administrator rights, according to a report by BeyondTrust.

-- Tom

A:90 percent of Windows 7 flaws fixed by removing admin rights

I wonder if that means that the consentUI is not working as intended? If I understand correctly, the consentUI only passes over the admin token after that 'continue' prompt. So, if this report says that vulnerabilities are mitigated by not using an admin account, doesn't that imply that somehow when exploiting the vulnerabilities, the admin rights are used.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/90-percent-of-windows-7-flaws-fixed-by-removing-admin-rights.913805/
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi, we upgraded from sbs2003 server to sbs2008 server. We removed the pc from the old domain and then added it to the new domain. Something went wrong after we joined the new domain it doesn't see the new domain for login and the local Administrator account has been disabled. The only account available is the guest account. Is there a way to enable the local administrator account again?

A:Can't login to local admin account after joining sbs2008 domain

You can try this but without any slides or full explanation.. I don't know....

If you can go into a user account with administration rights than you can go into command prompt and type:

Note: elevate the dos command to admin

net user administrator /active:yes

If you cannot log into an admin account: than you have to boot into dos from a bootable CD

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/138328-cant-login-local-admin-account-after-joining-sbs2008-domain.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hello admin domain, accounts the Windows 7 looses programs and some local of one In on of the labs I run with dual boot Linux and windows I've been experiencing this issue with PCs Today I noticed one more had this issue They were connected to my windows domain but when I'm going to login Windows 7 looses domain, some programs and one of the local admin accounts the domain connection is gone and one of the local administrators is gone too After resetting the Administrator account password I'm able to login but some of the programs have vanished while others still run The Bios is boot protected so I don't think any user could boot a CD USB to mess with the PC One thing I was thinking was if someone got root privileges in Linux and mount Windows 7 looses domain, some programs and one of the local admin accounts the Windows partition and mess with it But even if someone got the root password how come the administrator and Windows 7 looses domain, some programs and one of the local admin accounts student local accounts still exist Windows restore points are disabled so I think that even if the machines were not shutdown properly they would no rollback to some inconsistent state Has anyone experienced something like this Is this some kind of hacking Thanks and best regards Dave

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/996ae801-34fb-45ce-8c9f-dc7b2b3d83da/windows-7-looses-domain-some-programs-and-one-of-the-local-admin-accounts?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 78.26%

Hello In on of the labs I run with dual boot Linux and windows I've been experiencing this issue with PCs Today I noticed one domain, Windows 7 looses and programs admin some the local of accounts one more had this issue They were connected to Windows 7 looses domain, some programs and one of the local admin accounts my windows domain but today when trying to login there is no domain connection possibility anymore nbsp and one of the local administrators is gone too Local Administrator password is unknown but after resetting it from a linux boot disk nbsp I'm able to login but some of the programs have vanished while others still run The Bios is boot protected so I don't think any user could boot a CD USB to mess with the PC One thing I was thinking was if someone got root privileges in Linux and mount the Windows partition and mess with it But even if someone got the root password how come the administrator and student local accounts still exist Windows restore points are disable so I think that even Windows 7 looses domain, some programs and one of the local admin accounts if the machines were not shutdown properly they Windows 7 looses domain, some programs and one of the local admin accounts would no rollback to some inconsistent state Has anyone experienced something like this Is this some kind of hacking Thanks and best regards Dave

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/35e94bcd-da72-44e9-a9cc-3b9b4a04e6bc/windows-7-looses-domain-some-programs-and-one-of-the-local-admin-accounts?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 78.26%

I want to install Windows Ultimate on my college laptop which has XP SP and is part of the school domain I am a local admin on my PC meaning i can install uninstall programs Also admin, boot? a dual i part of Local domain..can college every time i start my PC i am required to log in with a user and password as otherwise i can not start it My HD is divided into two partitions C and D Windows XP is installed in C and Local admin, part of a college domain..can i dual boot? i was thinking of installing Windows on D Will this cause any issues with my college domain Once i tried to change the domain and i was not able to log in in my PC anymore I would Local admin, part of a college domain..can i dual boot? not like to reach to that problem again I did this on my home computer where i have no restrictions and i was able to dual-boot beautifully Please Local admin, part of a college domain..can i dual boot? let me know if this can be done and if yes what are some issues that i should be aware of Thanks

A:Local admin, part of a college domain..can i dual boot?

First things first; Does the computer belong to you personally, or is it assigned to you by the college ??

From what you're describing, it sounds like its theirs which means you should leave it alone and not tamper with it.

Having said that, ask your college IT department. They might be willing to help you out.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/167643-local-admin-part-college-domain-can-i-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I am having a strange problem on a Windows XP system that is on the domain. I installed Windows XP on this system and added my group as administrator and created a local admin ID. The user was ok and able to use his system but then after a reboot was unable to logon to his system using his cached domain acct. and I was unable to logon using the admin id. Has anyone seen this before? If so or not any ideas on how to fix it remotely.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-logon-using-cached-domain-acct-or-local-admin.408861/
Relevancy 78.26%

DC: Win Server 2003
Laptops: Win7 Pro

When joining a set of laptops to the domain it prompts for domain admin credentials and appears to be successful, but gives an error of 'Changing the Primary Domain DNS name of this computer to " " failed. The name will remain domain.local
The error was:

The RPC Server is unavailable.

When attempting to add Domain Users to the local administrators group:
Windows cannot process the object with the name "domain users" because of the following error:
The RPC server is unavailable.
This happens even when wired on the network. I have tried uncommenting the localhost line in HOSTS, and manually adding the DNS server (which is also the DC).

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

A:RPC error adding domain users to local admin group

Have you checked the RPC service on the server? Manually stop and restart it as well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/451145/rpc-error-adding-domain-users-to-local-admin-group/
Relevancy 77.83%

i was given a computer xp pro (sp3) that was part of a domain. i do not have access to the domain but i have the administrator password so i'm able to login to the computer. i made the mistake of removing a previous computer without the password.

i think i need to add an user with administrator privileges before changing to my workgroup at home? if so, that would be
1. My computer/manage
2. Local users and groups
3. add a user
4. make that user a member of Administrators

then when i change from the domain to a workgroup i'll be able to login? anything else i need to do?

A:removing from domain; have admin password

If any computer policies were applied, you'll be stuck with those regardless of what account you use. It's always best to do a clean install in this kind of situation. Otherwise you'll likely be fighting with one problem after another.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-from-domain-have-admin-password.1050788/
Relevancy 77.4%

Acessing your account. Can the admin use AD or a domain service to over ride the local policy?

A:When setting a local login policy to block a domain admin from accessi

vvcmarttech, sorry but domain admins in the AD can do most anything they want. No hiding from them.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/310138-when-setting-local-login-policy-block-domain-admin-accessi.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I am experiencing issues with my small domain setup. Windows Server 2012 R2 and windows 10 PRO domain attached PC's

Any users who are not a member of the Administrators group cannot login with their domain account (A device attached to the system is not functioning.) or access their file shares (invalid folder) even if they have been granted access to the file-shares.
However if I add them to the administrators group everything works fine with no issues.
I have not made any changes to group policy recently and have no idea what has changed to stop regular users from being able to do anything.

It is strange because there is nothing wrong with devices attached to the PC and the folders are definitely valid. It is all dependent on which account is trying to access.
Please let me know if you need further info.

-Lawrence

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d77b4182-ea9c-48cc-ac1d-5d3e46454e10/quota-device-attached-to-the-system-is-not-functioningquot-if-trying-to-login-with-a-domain-user?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 74.82%

I have discovered that there is a difference between the original local "Administrator" account and my (local) admin account. For instance my admin account cannot add a new user, whereas "Administrator" can.

I absolutely do not want an MS online account - I want to have a local Admin account (not "Administrator" itself) but with the same rights as Administrator, for example being able to add a new user.

This was possible in previous versions of Windows - can it still be achieved and if so, how?

A:Give Local account with Admin rights, same access as "Administrator"?`

You need to add your new local account to the administrators group. To do this log in with your original Administrator account. Then open an elevated command prompt (right click on start and select Command Prompt (admin).

Then type: net localgroup administrators "UserName" /add

where UserName is the name of your new local account.

You can check which users belong to the various groups with these commands:
net localgroup guests
net localgroup users
net localgroup administrators

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56221-give-local-account-admin-rights-same-access-administrator.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I am allowed to make myself an admininstrator while on the network or off the network but the next time (which is the second, the first time is to make the changes), my administrator rights disappear. I have added myself as an admininstrator in every way listed I think on all threads with no luck.

A:Admin rights are removed when connected to the company network

Talk to your system administrator.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/228481-admin-rights-removed-when-connected-company-network.html
Relevancy 73.1%

HI,

I have installed server 2003 on a small network and created a domain that is the same as the public domain name (ie the companies website).

This is now causing a problem because when i type in the public address (for example www.company.com) it is trying to resolve it locally - because the local domain name is also company.com.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get round this problem?

Many thanks in advance

Dave

A:problem with the local network having the same domain name as the public network

add 'local.' to the internal domain or change it altogether.

Your public domain should not have any connection into your private infrastructure,
but you may have references from private->public; not very common.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-the-local-network-having-the-same-domain-name-as-the-public-network.69968/
Relevancy 72.67%

I honestly didn t know which forum to post this in so if I m wrong someone please just transfer me to the right place I m using Win XP Pro w SP We are mapping a shared network folder as drive dfrives, network rights Problems a and with mapped admin program troublesome Z We have a program written in VB I think which tells its age that must connect to a database file on that mapped folder Here s the specifics The program requires an Administrator account to run because it writes something to the registry Problems with mapped network dfrives, admin rights and a troublesome program every time Problems with mapped network dfrives, admin rights and a troublesome program it activates- I can t tell you what Although we can log in as a non-admin user and quot Run As quot Problems with mapped network dfrives, admin rights and a troublesome program an admin the program seems unable to locate the Z drive once it starts up If I connect to a local file just to get access to the command functions in the program and then try connecting manually to the remote database I can t even find the Z drive in the browser window Leaving aside the fact that this software should be written by someone who knew what they were doing and needs to be updated to Net anyway I can run the program under any natural admin account on the machine as long as I m working from that account Is there a way through local policy we re in a workgroup environment to gice these user accounts the ability to look like admins but still restrict their ability to install software nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-with-mapped-network-dfrives-admin-rights-and-a-troublesome-program.814498/
Relevancy 71.38%

So a new box recently built, when booted, defaults to the local administrator account.

This is a Windows 7 machine for a Linux guru that doesn't want to be bothered pressing more buttons than is necessary, if you get my drift.

So my question is, after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del...how do I dictate to Windows that the preferred used is "HisDomainAccount" on our company domain, as opposed to the local admin account?

If I'm not being clear, please let me know and I will try to explain a little better.

A:Strange Defult Login User Prompt - Local Admin, Not Domain User

Quote: Originally Posted by Norwood

So a new box recently built, when booted, defaults to the local administrator account.

This is a Windows 7 machine for a Linux guru that doesn't want to be bothered pressing more buttons than is necessary, if you get my drift.

So my question is, after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del...how do I dictate to Windows that the preferred used is "HisDomainAccount" on our company domain, as opposed to the local admin account?

If I'm not being clear, please let me know and I will try to explain a little better.

The above is a bit confusing. Is this computer joined to a work domain or is it not?

If this is a domain computer, the user will have to use the classic log on screen (Ctrl+Alt+Delete), not the Welcome Screen. If he wants to switch to logging in to the Local computer account and not the domain, he'll have to "Switch User" then log in with the format of Computername\User Name

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/208916-strange-defult-login-user-prompt-local-admin-not-domain-user.html
Relevancy 71.38%

hi, when i log on to a employes PC, and run an elevated CMD(admin) and type my admin logons. on the same doamin we both are belong to.

then i dont get allow to change from disk C: to disk V:.

but if i rin a normal CMD then i can change disk. but then i dont get the rights to install a script. i change disk by typing V: dont work

i have seen that some type cd /D V:\ - <-- what does the /D stands for?

A:cannot change disk from C: to V: with admin right on a domain network

Quote: Originally Posted by Lehani

i have seen that some type cd /D V:\ - <-- what does the /D stands for?

Not sure about the main issue, but the /D means "change drive". You should use it when changing to a path on another drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/250868-cannot-change-disk-c-v-admin-right-domain-network.html
Relevancy 70.95%

On Windows XP, installing iTunes requires admin rights. However, it is not good to use an admin account for regular work. For the Palm Desktop, the workaround was to grant admin rights to the user account, install the application using the user-turn-admin account, then ungrant admin rights. Will this last step cause problems for iTunes, or does iTunes require admin rights for its regular operation (outside of being installed)?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/grant-user-admin-rights-install-itune-ungrant-rights-401232.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I am usually the person to go to when someone has computer problems however this time I am stumped I am running on average thirteen computers on my network Recently we switched nine of those computers over to (unauthenticated) domain.local Solved: error network Windows I Solved: network error domain.local (unauthenticated) am unsure if it is just a Windows problem but every time someone docks their computer in the morning most of the employees here take their computers home they do not connect to the network properly an they get domain local unauthenticated with the yellow triangle warning Solved: network error domain.local (unauthenticated) sign This problem has not been specific to any computer just the ones with Windows and sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt What happens is while trying to figure out what Solved: network error domain.local (unauthenticated) is wrong the error goes away and the computer connects to the network but only for a period of time sometimes most of the day and sometimes only ten or fifteen minutes I tried disabeling the TCP IP - no difference I tried removing the computer from the network and reconnecting it - no difference I called in outside IT people - no difference nbsp

A:Solved: network error domain.local (unauthenticated)

More details about your network, please. What version of Windows 7? You have a domain, or just a router? Connecting by ethernet or wireless? If by wireless, does ethernet work OK?

For a time when there is a successful connection please show for one of the machines ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-network-error-domain-local-unauthenticated.952789/
Relevancy 69.23%

PCs are Win Ultimate All are joined to the Domain Domain Controller DNS DHCP Server on same instance is Server standard The network topology is like this Router as Internet Gateway gt Switch identifying Cards will only or intermittently, Inside the Domain-Joined no Network when network Connections will Network longer, Network join Domain PC from gt Wired to Server and PC's SIP phones and Wireless Access Point Domain-Joined PC Network Cards will no longer, or will only intermittently, join the Domain Network when identifying Network Connections from Inside network all on same subnet DNS and DHCP have been offloaded Domain-Joined PC Network Cards will no longer, or will only intermittently, join the Domain Network when identifying Network Connections from Inside network to Server Roles and switched off on the router All of the PCs have network cards that have joined the domain network at least some of the time since I set them up Some of them have always picked up the domain network and continue to this day Some of them intermittently pick up the domain network and other times join whatever other unmanaged network is available Some of them have stopped picking up the domain network altogether and will no matter how many times their NICs are restarted always join a non-domain unmanaged network When the NICs are not joining the domain they are unable to ping hostnames of any devices on the network but nslookup of the hostnames usually works The DC DNS DHCP server's IP can be pinged without issue ipv or ipv I am recording DNS Client Errors ID on all of the PCs during the intervals when their NICs are identifying which network to join -On the PCs that are catching the domain network I am only getting a single error about the root domain eg the domain is ad domain com and I am only getting errors about how the configured DNS servers cannot resolve domain com nothing with fully qualified domain names eg server ad domain com -On the PCs that are not catching the domain network I get a few different instances of the same error substituted quot domain quot for my root domain name Name resolution for the name WPAD ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name lt DC-DNS-DHCPSERVERNAME gt ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name LDAP TCP DC MSDCS ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name ISATAP ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Based on what I've read about NLA service choosing the domain to log into I believe this rd error is the big one although I guess the big error is that my configured DNS servers are not responding except to NSLookups From what I understand the Network Location Awareness Service Provider will roughly do the following look into the registry to see if there is an entry for a domain network to join and if there is it will attempt to contact the domain controller of the same domain name If it is successful with both parts it will join the domain network named quot ad domain com quot If not it will fall back to one of the other options ie home private public quot whatever its called network quot I have tried many of the fixes presented for similar issues but I haven't found anything that's worked A few things I have tried while cycling my NICs on and off to test -turned off the firewall nbsp -poked holes in the firewall for TCP UDP port -poked holes in the firewall for TCP UDP port -ipconfig flushdns ipconfig registerdns -netsh int ip reset -netsh reset Winsock catalog and restarted -route f and restarted -turned off DHCP Client Service -restarted DHCP client Service -turned off IPV on NICs -hard-coded DNS servers IPV and -hard-coded static IPs and DNS Servers only IPV -sfc scannow to scan for integrity violations All of these and also some combinations of these and more that I can't remember One more p... Read more

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/303bcde4-6a0b-4bc4-baff-929f0b6b4261/domainjoined-pc-network-cards-will-no-longer-or-will-only-intermittently-join-the-domain-network?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi Guys, I wonder if you can help out.

I'm trying to add a network admin security group to my local Admins group on some computers I'm prepping. Currently this means logging in with the local admin, opening computer management, adding the group, then putting in my network admin credentials.

What I'm trying to do is script it. Here is the script I have so far, which obviously doesn't work.

net localgroup Administrators /ADD domain\SG_AD_Admins
net localgroup "Power Users" /ADD "domain\domain users"
It keeps throwing me an Access is denied error when I run it as either local admin or network admin, which makes sense since I need the local account to get into computer management but then network admin to actually add the security group.

I was also messing around with the runas command, but so far I'm pretty stumped. Any help would be appreciated!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-network-admins-to-the-local-admin-group-automatically.1108606/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi Yet again Windows is frustratingly taking up all of my time and I have tried everything google has to offer to try and fix it but it seems like no one has screwed up as much reset admin | | can't admin | Lost 5 No password error rights System as I have on whatever forum Let me explain the problem I'm trying to set my account to administrator because I can't install programs change account settings make any changes through CMD without getting the system error access denied message and I can't set the administrator account through CMD either I also don't have the permission to change anything in regedit and I can't even reset my pc because it requires an administrator password System error 5 | No admin rights | Lost admin password | can't reset which I don't have is not quot nothing quot nor is it administrator or admin or password and I can't change it through cmd either I can't even access the administrator account because it is disabled and even with an elevated System error 5 | No admin rights | Lost admin password | can't reset cmd I can't activate the quot hidden quot administrator account System error 5 | No admin rights | Lost admin password | can't reset I've ran malwarebytes and superantispyware and I am now looking for the Gandalf of all Geeks to help me solve this problem I'd immensely appreciate it

A:System error 5 | No admin rights | Lost admin password | can't reset

Hi. When a computer is first setup, the account created is an administrative one. What happened to this account?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/37732-system-error-5-no-admin-rights-lost-admin-password-cant-reset.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi

Ive stumbled across a problem that has been causing me grief for a few days now, every time I try to access my hard drive (C disk) it says, access is denied. Also, i cant edit permissions because I've lost admin rights. Ive tried many things including unlocking the system admin, this lets me access a few extra things like being able to use the sfc command in cmd, however, it doesn't allow me to access the C disk or change permission because it also has lost admin rights? I fear that this is a bad problem and I don't know how it happened. I have tried restoring to a previous date and that doesn't work either.

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shimin4tor

A:[SOLVED] Access denied to C disk and lost admin rights to system admin account

Hi and welcome to TSF so you have tried win 7 hidden admin Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista
have you installed or downloaded anything in the recent past

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-access-denied-to-c-disk-and-lost-admin-rights-to-system-admin-account-693530.html
Relevancy 67.08%

The firm in which I work has a Lenovo PC with Windows 10 installed. There are two user profiles on the computer, the admin and another normal account without administration rights. We have only the password of the account without administrator rights.

The network administrator had left the company surprisingly in without giving the administrator password of the PC and we cannot contact him anymore.

Now we want to install another programme and we cannot do this without an administrator account.

I disabled secure boot and have tried to boot the PC with an Linux USB Stick, but it do not boot from the stick.

Any suggestion how I either can reset the password of the administrator account or create an new account with administrator rights.

A:Windows 10 admin password reset or new account with admin rights

Although there may be techniques to recover a lost password it is forum policy that we do not discuss these here - your best bet would be to visit a local security specialist and get them to recover/reset it for you - and a change to the policy for the replacement admin may be a good idea, I always wrote a list of all passwords and stored it with the Managing Director and also in a fireproof safe

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/38274-windows-10-admin-password-reset-new-account-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Recently I did a clean install from the windows installation tool off a CD I made. Soon after logging on and making my first account (again!) I couldn't open the C drive. I messed with the owner options and made my account the owner so I could open it. Possibly before or maybe after (I'm not sure) I realised I wasn't able to use any admin settings, (like add another account or see advanced system settings) open any applications that required admin rights (like CMD or any installation file) or do anything in the system menu. I've tried to look up the solution but can't find anything that fits the description of my problem. Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance for at least reading this.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/59249-no-admin-rights-admin-account-after-clean-install.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Using Win 8.1

First off, the account I'am signed on with is listed as admin type account. It's the one I had to enter my windows account email.
Since installing the new MalwareBytes 2.0 program (which went in without any problem) it put an shortcut icon on desktop. I tried too move the icon from desktop to another folder and it said I needed admin rights to do this. Usually once I click on continue it gives me access and proceeds to carry out the command.
So I followed the tutorial to build hidden admin account. I type in: net user administrator /active:yes, it completed. I signed on to the admin account and tried the same operation and it still asked for admin rights.
What am I doing wrong?

UpDate: MalwareBytes 2.0 has a self protection ability that needs to not be enabled, otherwise everything associated with the Program including program icons located anywhere cannot be moved.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/43247-i-needed-admin-rights-using-built-admin-account.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I'd like to assign a few select "domain users" to be local admin over their test machines which log into a domain. The test machines are Windows 7 64bit and the domain is Win2k8 R2. I have been searching around for the best way to do it but I've come up short on my search.

Anyone know off the top of their head?

Thanks

A:Assigning "domain user" to "local admin" on select PCs

Create a new group in AD, for example, TestUsers
Add the required users to the group
Go round each machine and add the group as a member of local admins.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/47604-assigning-domain-user-local-admin-select-pcs.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Greetings,

I am trying to change the folder properties of a applications folder from read only. I am doing this per instructions from the apps provider to prevent crashes.

When I go to change the permissions it states I need admin privileges. The only account I have on the box is the admin however I did change the name to something besides admin. The account is definitely an admin account.

Any thoughts?

Windows 7 64 bit

Relevancy 65.36%

I can't delete a file from the desktop. When I try, it says to get the rights from the specified admin user (which I'm logged on). The strange thing is that I still can create other users from this account (including admins).

Any suggestion on what to do?

A:admin user lost some admin rights

Quote: Originally Posted by Witch

I can't delete a file from the desktop. When I try, it says to get the rights from the specified admin user (which I'm logged on). The strange thing is that I still can create other users from this account (including admins).

Any suggestion on what to do?

Whats the name of the file?
Have you tried deleting it in safe mode?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/194988-admin-user-lost-some-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi,

I have a domain joined windows 7pro (64bit) not able to connect to shared folder on a non domain joined pc with windows 7pro (32bit). Only public folders are accessible. I get a do not have permission message, I tried adding the domain\user to share permissions but domain is not recognized on the non domain-joined pc.

Does my domain admin have access to the homegroup and the shared folders on the home pc?

What are my options for access to a non public secure folder on the non domain pc from the domain joined pc.

Sorry for the awkward description, don't know how else to describe the situation.

my apologies if these questions were addressed elsewhere, I could not find any relevant threads.

Thanks

A:Domain joined pc, does domain admin have access to my homegroup

Hi Takatso, welcome to sevenforums. As I read you post, it looks like you are logged into your domain joined PC as a domain user is this correct? If so, your PC will be treated as acting as a part of the domain. If you then try and connect to another pc at home, there will be a problem as your home pc is not recognised by the domain pc as part of the domain. You should set yourself up a user account on the domain pc whilst it is NOT connected to the domain, login to the new account whilst not on the domain and then try sharing the folders with the non-domain pc.

No, your does not have access on the home computer as they are part of the domain and not the homegroup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/168990-domain-joined-pc-does-domain-admin-have-access-my-homegroup.html
Relevancy 63.64%

okay freshly into win now having obtained a new hdd for my comp I have been running as the admin of my computer since accounts became an unavoidable thing barring the occasional frustration-induced blunder I tend to stay Properly Paranoid in my habits to make sure I have no problems but win doesn't think that I could ever be intelligent enough to have full rights on any account other than the built-in admin account which of course I'd want to avoid using outside emergencies that render other accounts damaged somehow so I'm looking to find out how to make another user account with FULL admin rights not just the constantly have to get permission stuff that a standard snort admin account has full rights that don't involve constantly having to run as administrator yes yes I've heard people trying to get me more paranoid so that I'd endure the added hassles all it does is make me more irate with the situation so if noone's willing to provide me with instruction on this it's probably best for the thread to be left to fall off the board

A:of win7, admin rights, admin accounts, and real admin accounts

I don't know what your problem is. To make another administrator account - Start - Control panel - User Account - 
Manage another account - Create a new account - Give it a name - put a check mark for Administrator - 
click - Create Account. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517811/of-win7-admin-rights-admin-accounts-and-real-admin-accounts/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have two Windows VMs, one Windows 7 and the other Windows 8. On both machines there is an account with administrative rights. On the Windows 7 VM if I run a DOS cmd window it is run with with administrative rights. However, on the Windows 8 VM the DOS cmd window has NO administrative rights.

Has anything changed between Windiws 7 and 8 in this respect?

Thanks

A:DOS Cmd run with admin rights if run from admin account?

Hello ndean, and welcome to Eight Forums.

It's the same in Windows 8.

Elevated Command Prompt - Open in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/9968-dos-cmd-run-admin-rights-if-run-admin-account.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I cannot do a few things that require admin rights but I the account I'm using is an admin account. I made a new account and gave it all privileges, admin, backup operations, helpservicesgroup, network configuration operations and replicator but even with all those rights this user can't get windows updates.

This is where I noticed the trouble, I wanted to go to windows updates and it gave me this error:
[Error number: 0x8DDD0002]
To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to User Accounts in Control Panel.

Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system administrator for help with updates. Click to expand...

Any ideas?

A:Logged in as admin but have no admin rights

Maybe this will help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524
moper

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/logged-in-as-admin-but-have-no-admin-rights.781270/
Relevancy 63.21%

So here is an interesting problem I ran into after working on the family computer (I was away at college and just got back for break).

After removing all the viruses, I was left with a computer where both the main user account and the Admin account did not have Admin rights. I can log into the Administrator account, but I cannot do even the most simplest of things, such as open Control Panel. So, I am at a loss to fix this. So simply enough, how does one restore administrative rights to the admin account when it has lost them.

Info:
Windows XP Home SP2
Control Panel, and many related functions, along side with such things as leftclick->properties on My Computer do not work (It says privilege removed, contact admin).
Even the Help will not open.

A:Admin rights for Admin account?

Please download Trend Micro's HJTInstall.exe to your Windows Desktop.

Doubleclick HJTInstall.exe . The application will install by default to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis
Click on the Install button. A shortcut icon will be created on your Windows Desktop.
When the installation finishes, the HijackThis application will launch.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. When the scan is complete, a log file should open in notepad.
On the notepad document, click Edit>Select All>Edit>Copy and then paste the contents of the log file into your next reply to this thread.

>>Please-Do Not use the Analyze This button-the results can be dangerous if misinterpreted.
>>Please-Do Not have HijackThis 'fix' anything yet. Most of what if finds will be harmless or even required.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-rights-for-admin-account.654522/
Relevancy 63.21%

Okay, I'm very sure I set my account to be Admin, there's only one account anyway, yet W8 requests admin permission to do everything.

All because of this, I can't change the .ini of a game, I can't update Neverwinter Nights using the updater, I can't save .inis or .txts anywhere except documents...It's annoying.

I used to have W7 before, it never did this to me, but Windows 8 really deeply annoys me.

Now I'll be specific by saying that I only have "Windows 8", no Enterprise or Pro.

How can I make W8 stop nagging me everytime about admin rights? I AM an admin.

A:Windows 8 wants Admin rights, but I AM an admin

I took ownership of everything to get rid of the nag messages.
Someone else may have a better way...

A tutorial---

Take Ownership - Add to Context Menu in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/49620-windows-8-wants-admin-rights-but-i-am-admin.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I am trying to carry out the steps in the Hijack this and malware removal instructions, but cannot get the Kaspersky scanner to run.
It says that I need Administrator privileges to install it.
I only have the one account on that machine, the Admin one.

User Accounts shows only the one admin account.

Any ideas how I get the rights back?
Computer is an HP Pavilion Laptop running XP pro SP2

A:Logged In As Admin, But Don't Have Admin Rights

try right clicking on it and selecting "run as admin"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/148616/logged-in-as-admin-but-dont-have-admin-rights/
Relevancy 63.21%

My problem is that even though I have only one user account defined on my machine and it is set to "Administrator" it is not being allowed to do admin types of things like deleting folders. I tried to create a user group but that's not an option on the Win7 Home Premium version that I use. How can it be that the sole account is not the admin even though it shows that it is in the account user setup?
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3890 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1721 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 424790 MB; E: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 381321 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, NALAA
Antivirus: Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Disabled Microsoft Security Essentials in use

A:Admin user has no admin rights?

the actual admin account is hidden and disabled for security reasons,your referring to a account with admin privileges

go into properties for the drive and click on the security tab and check the permissions are enabled for your account

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-user-has-no-admin-rights.1078283/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi,
I am working on a 2012 ADDS based network and I have the following requirement.
I want to create a local administrator user account on the local domain computers (Win XP, 7 and 8) which will have full access on the PC but not the permission to edit other local administrator accounts.
Please advise how I can achieve this.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

A:local admin account with no permit to edit other admin accounts

Local admin account by definition has access to everything and even if it doesn't it can take ownership and give itself the rights. In other words i am not sure that you can achieve what you
are trying to do.

I would suggest create a single shared local admin account and give it your desktop admins, change the password every 60-90 days to keep it more secure. This is common practice in many
organizations.

http://www.dannyeckes.com/create-local-admin-group-policy-gpo/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/125eabac-06f7-45ee-9792-f642c82eab2e/local-admin-account-with-no-permit-to-edit-other-admin-accounts?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 61.92%

I am trying to download Adobe Digital Editions and I keep receiving the error message

Unable to elevate to administrative rights, error 786

I am the admin! I have turned off the password, I have right clicked on the program and chosen 'run as admin'-then nothing happens.
Any help would be appreciated

A:"Unable to elevate to admin rights" error, when admin user

Try this:

Quote:
SOLUTION: download the setup.exe for ADE, not using the flash install version.

Before you run it, right click on it and check "run as administrator" under the compatability tab. Also under the general tab I clicked on "unblock," which might have made a difference.

From a similar issue: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/953278?tstart=0

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/359020-unable-elevate-admin-rights-error-when-admin-user.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I posted this topic a while ago and Rights Admin have had no replies I could use some help If this invader has truly taken over all my admin rights how can I change this Must I reformat C drive and install a new operating system Or will the virus still be there after this is done Thanks malwareremover infected my notebook last month I m running XP Tablet on a Fujitsu Lifebook P D After the infection I installed Norton and the popups stopped appearring that all was well The malware installed the tulip wallpaper as my desktop background and now I cannot change it In the display properties dialog box the quot Desktop quot menu selection has been replaced with quot Screensaver quot Right clicking on an image Admin Rights and selecting quot Save as Wallpaper quot does nothing I attempted to do a restore to a point prior to infection but the system will not allow this I tried to restore from disk but the system does not allow the attempt My BIOS has been locked with a password not of my doing As I have no interal DVD I must use an external USB optical drive The drive is operational Admin Rights normally Admin Rights but on bootup I can select it as the boot drive and the system ignores it What to do

A:Admin Rights

Sorry for the delayed response but we are all volunteers and sometimes a topic thread will get missed.I have already responded in your other thread here. Please do not start new threads or duplicate topics as this causes confusion and makes it more difficult to get the help you need to resolve your issues. Thanks for your cooperation.This thread is closed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/134268/admin-rights/
Relevancy 59.77%

Installed Windows 8, loving it. However, one thing I've noticed is that every time I try to run anything, it runs it as a non-admin. I hate specifically clicking "Run as Administrator" every time I open a program so my question is this, is there a way to make it run every program as admin permanently?

nope, it's there for a reason. it prevents programs from really screwing stuff up without any user interaction. running everything as admin without any sort of user approval is a good way of breaking windows. it keeps you from accidentally deleting or moving something that really should not be touched.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/admin-rights-678972.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi. In a corporate setting, I must sometime ask for admin access to change the smallest things. So sometimes they give me admin rights, and then take them away after I'm done. How can I keep them, without having to ask IT every time? Please leave legality and ethics alone, I'm only interested in the technical procedure. Thanks!

A:How to keep admin rights

Sorry bloke, we can't help you with that since it would contravene the rules under which we operate on this forum.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/348458-how-keep-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Occasionally I need admin rights to do something. I've never set a pass as admin. How do I set myself as admin? No one else uses my laptop. Win 7 Home, 64-bit.

I've been running Windows since 3.1 and don't ever remember being asked to prove I'm admin.

A:Admin rights

Hello PinkiPad,

Ever since Windows Vista and above, the administrator account is actually runs "unelevated". When you do anything that requires elevated rights, you get prompted by UAC to approve first.

This is a security feature to prevent anything from running with elevated rights (run as administrator) without you having a chance to say Yes or No from a UAC prompt first. Anything that runs elevated has full unrestricted access to everything on the PC. This is why this is such a great security feature. Yeah, it could be a pain to have to approve first, but what's a couple of seconds to approve versus not having that option and some malware is able to run elevated in the background without you ever knowing. Run as Administrator
If you still want to be king of the castle per say, then you could enable the built-in "elevated" Administrator account to log on to for this. Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/297948-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi I am a beginner and don't understand the logic of Windows Admin rights I am the adminstrator the system control confirms that Still I can not save a txt file under programs in that case under Thunderbird Mozilla Chrome WHY The problem exists even when I individually rightclick Admin rights on Admin rights quot c quot then quot programs quot then quot thunderbird quot then quot chrome quot and as for extended user rights including Writing for all these folders - something that should not be necessary for Administrators anyway Following the advic eof another user I went to START cmd and entered net user administrator active yes - so now I could Admin rights login as quot Administrator quot Again my own private account is already indicated as Administrator - but even if I want to login now with this new User what's the password for Administratr My main problem actually is Why do I get the message that I can not save IF Admin rights I am the Administrator Thanks

Because you do not have Administrative right until you ELEVATE (See the UAC dialog) until then you run with standard user privileges to prevent system files from being changed. If you want to run something with Administrative power, right-click it then "Run as Administrator"

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/171778-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 59.77%

so i was messing around with c drive security permissions and now i have totally messed my window c drive up side down so gone help are admin me! rights now i can not run cmd to gain access to admin admin rights are gone help me! again because i have to run it in admin mode which i can not since i messed up the permissions on c drive security owner thing i have no idea how to gain it back so please list some ideas that i can get the rights back and admin rights are gone help me! i repeat i can not run anything in admin mode or install because window has gone mad computer specs bg ram mb DVM gb hard drive window ultimate bit i have srsly messed my laptops c drive security owner permission aahhaha help me minutes ago - days left to answer Additional Details okay i done system restore no luck i have done safe mode no luck i try to run cmd into a admin no luck i try to run quot services msc quot no luck basically i gave all the quot rights quot to the computer if know what i mean meaning i don t controle the computer i just boot it n run programs i can not admin them or go and edit the c drive settings i can not go in to and make a new account or change account rights or anything i am paralyzed and my window wont give the rights back also i cant go regedit or services service manager event logger they are all locked im locked out of my own systhem like me locked out of my house and my house now has the keys i can t break the window n get it cuz its a computer z i need a new way to get in the owner editing c drive so i can make my self the owner also i cant make another user account or anything also quick thing i tryed doing cmd net user and i cant type password in meaning i cant type anything when it asks for password in cmd nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

As a total novice at Vista and a new machine purchased I am keen to keep my son from getting inside this pc. He is always changing various settings without asking so I have tried to set his account to Standard User but he still seems to be getting past that to set himself as an Administrator. I have a password set on my account as Administrator so I do not understand how he is getting past this security. He is proficient at working pc's so when I ask him how he does he just says "I am good". Does he have a way of bypassing the user setting I have given him or does he know my password if the latter then easy to fix but if he has a way to bypass this then what can I do to stop it if anything? Any sensible advice would be much appreciated

Originally Posted by leaky143

As a total novice at Vista and a new machine purchased I am keen to keep my son from getting inside this pc. He is always changing various settings without asking so I have tried to set his account to Standard User but he still seems to be getting past that to set himself as an Administrator. I have a password set on my account as Administrator so I do not understand how he is getting past this security. He is proficient at working pc's so when I ask him how he does he just says "I am good". Does he have a way of bypassing the user setting I have given him or does he know my password if the latter then easy to fix but if he has a way to bypass this then what can I do to stop it if anything? Any sensible advice would be much appreciated

To the best of my knowledge, a standard user can't just change their settings to administrator. I'd stay away from pet's names and birthdates as passwords. Use something that can't be guessed, a non-word combination of upper case, lower case and numbers. IE: G711efx89y

Also, engage parental controls on him as well. Vista has some good control features for parents

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/192519-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 59.77%

My wife just got a new laptop with Windows 8, I don't know how to run that OS yet. We tried to change the time, from the lower right corner, but it won't let us citing admin rights. How do I go in and change or fix that so she can do whatever she needs to with the computer?

is she logged in as an administrator

goto desktop
then goto top right hand corner
control panel
users
and see what she is setup as

when you first got the PC did you setup a user account and did you use an outlook.com / hotmail account ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-rights.1128406/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a user who loses her administrator rights periodically and seemingly for no reason. Recently I was trying to install a postscript print driver and I'd start with admin rights and then sometime during the installation I'd lose them and wouldn't be able to complete it. Is there a reason that the admin rights are being lost?

Hi, developers are coming to terms with UAC and installations are looking for it if you turn it off the installation can fail, otherwise make sure you right click on the excutable and select run as administrator.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/admin-rights-260041.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Is there any way to allow the "limited" account user to have certain rights, as updating, downloading, and loading programs? Right now to do any of those I need to get the admin to log on, and he's getting annoyed with the constant updates, so is there a way to grant certain rights to the limited user?

A:Some rights for the non-admin

What operating system do you have?

For example, if you have XP Pro, you can right click on My Computer / Manage / Local Users and Groups / Users
Select the user you want and change the group they are a member of.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/some-rights-for-the-non-admin.401336/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi,
I am new to this forum, seems to be loads of good info. I tried a search but
could not seem to find what I need. Hope you can help.

I have 4 machines all running xp, all are wireless networked, and files can be transfered etc providing the files on each machine are shared.

How can I setup 1 machine to have admin rights to the other 3, so I can use remote shut down and things like that.

Thanks for your help

Bun

you need to set up a remote desktop connection. firewalls must be configured to accept remote desktop connections.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-rights.64936/
Relevancy 59.77%

Ok, im in a massive pickle at the moment...

I followed a tutorial on this site, allowing me to skip windows logon and go straight to the PC. I setup "netplwiz" and unchecked the "users need to ptu in a password,"

i restarted the system to see if it was working, and i got a BSOD. I restarted again, and i got another BSOD...

i booted into safe mode and unchecked that box. By accident, i also took away my only account's admin rights. I have not activated the hidden admin file, and i cant run anything as an administrator. I've tried activating the hidden admin account but i keep getting "Access denied," not even bloody system restore works!

any tips on how to fix it, or do i have to reinstall for the 5th time?

thanks for your help.

Hello Ashk, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Since you no longer have a administrator account, you may be able to boot into Safe Mode again as the built-in Administrator account automatically. If so, then you can change your user account type back to administrator again.

If not, then you can try a repair install instead of a clean install.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/13065-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I'm trying to un-install Apple's software updater (annoying), I ran the script "net user administrator /active:yes" at an Admin CMD prompt, but still got an error saying I didn't have enough rights to un-install it.
thanks for the help!!

A:Not getting Admin rights

This should fix your problem.1. Click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scheduled Tasks.2. Right-click on AppleSoftwareUpdate and select Delete.You can view these steps with pictures here: Apple software update removal

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/322299/not-getting-admin-rights/
Relevancy 59.77%

Running Windows XP SP2 on Compaq w/512 ram and combo CD/DVD drive. When I attempt to save a file to DVD, get msg "you do not have admin rights". Any help appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-rights.388234/
Relevancy 59.77%

For some reason I get pop-up messages saying I require admin rights when I try to do something such as changing settings in msconfig or running a program as admin. The thing; I am an admin. There's only one account on the computer.

Relevancy 59.77%

i just reformatted my pc and install windows xp pro sp3, i can install all other programs with no problem but when i try to install my graphics driver it says i dont have admin right when i am the admini have tried right clicking it and running as administrator but it just tells me denied

A:No Admin Rights

Have you tried redownloading the application?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/388558/no-admin-rights/
Relevancy 59.77%

Looking to make changes to my host file. Windows saying I need admin rights to make the chnage. However the account I have has admin rights! I have checked in control pannel manage accounts.
Any ideas on how to fix this? Just a new laptop.

A:Admin rights in 8.1

Edit the HOSTS File in Windows 8

Editing a HOSTS File in Windows 8: Method #1

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/54992-admin-rights-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello

Just installed Win 7 and using it for the first time, my user account has been crested as an admin but i am trying to edit the hosts file in system32/drivers and it will not allow me to save the edited version stating that it need administrator permission.

like i said i am very new to win 7 and have looked at my account etc but cannot see why it will not allow me to make these changes when my account is an admin account.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Quicky, until a smart member answers. Right click and you should see a run as administrator option. Might work, very new to this myself. You will get great answers here.
glennc

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/118338-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 59.77%

hi my cousin has only one user account in her system, when i tried to create another one it is telling that you do not have admini rights plese some body tell me hou to get admin rights

A:getting admin rights

WHen you run the add user script from control panel it should prompt you with a UAC Window.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/289512/getting-admin-rights/
Relevancy 59.77%

ok im getting sick of this I've got dozens of folders on my PC that i cant delete because apparently i need admin privileges even tho i am admin Even if i switch user to the dedicated hidden admin account it still tells me i dont have the rights to delete stuff from MY OWN COMPUTER It's utterly ridiculous Cant beleive i actually bought this joke of an OS I feel completely vindicated for pirating previous versions of windows and certainly wont rights.. admin be wasting money on future versions if this is the path they are going down Do i admin rights.. really need to install XP to be able to have a clean and tidy computer I can make a new folder and instantly i dont have the rights to delete it surely that cant be normal I really dont want to have to go back to XP but unless anyone knows a way to remove this stupid and completely unnecessary behaviour it seems like the only choice i have All i want is to have account my account from which i can do anything i like and yes i do understand the risks involved in that or if not and i do have to waste admin rights.. time switching to an admin account every time i want to delete uninstall something i at least want it to work from there which it currently does not I have the UAC set to the bottom but still it tries to babysit my every move So sick of it Linux is looking more attractive by the day

A:admin rights..

Something is wrong with your computer and probably installation of Windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/157299-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I only have 1 account and it doesn't have administrator rights. Is there any way I can give it admin rights?

A:Need help with admin rights.

Hello Crozzy, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You will need to talk to the person that is the administrator of the computer to see if they will make you an administrator or not.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/25334-need-help-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Everytime I try do delete or run a basic program I get a pop up that says I'm DO NOT have admin rights.

lol

this is MY laptop and I'm the only user on it..

It means your account is a user account. Safer for everyday use.

User Account Type[11]=User%20Accounts

Tutorial thanks to Brink.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287058-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a compaq laptop running XP SP2, two days ago all my destop and pull down shortcuts stopped working, I now have no administrative autority to open any programs, including internet. I have trend software(up to date). I do see a microoft update install but I am not sure if this is part of the problem. If I could install a past backup I am sure that would sovle the problem??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-help-no-admin-rights.612138/
Relevancy 59.77%

Windows 7 keeps giving me messages that I am not an admin user, but I am!
Why?

I would suppose that would depend on when it is saying that? A user with admin rights is not the same as being logged in as administrator.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/40234-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I've tried nearly everyway to get admin on my laptop but it's not working. please give me suggestions to get me out of this predicament.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-rights.1161767/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello I ve had some problems Admin rights with my admin rights lately but malwarebytes found nothing I used the online trend-micro scanner and it found something called joke agent but it wasnt able to delete it After playing around in hijackthis and smitfraudfix i havent been able to find anything Hoping somebody can help me out Here s my hijackthis and smitfraudfix logs Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows Vista WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPStart exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Program Files Intel Admin rights Intel Matrix Storage Manager Admin rights IAAnotif exe C Windows System hkcmd exe Admin rights C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Windows system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Windows system NOTEPAD EXE C Program Files Microsoft Office OFFICE EXCEL EXE C Program Files HiJackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - Hosts localhost O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - HKLM Run Windows Defender ProgramFiles Windows Defender MSASCui exe -hide O - HKLM Run SynTPStart C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPStart exe O - HKLM Run Persistence C Windows system igfxpers exe O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C Windows system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run IAAnotif quot C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager Iaanotif exe quot O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C Windows system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKUS S- - - Run WindowsWelcomeCenter rundll exe oobefldr dll ShowWelcomeCenter User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - Run WindowsWelcomeCenter rundll exe oobefldr dll ShowWelcomeCenter User NETWORK SERVICE O - Extra context menu item E amp ksporter til Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE EXCEL EXE O - Extra button Oppslag - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE REFIEBAR DLL O - DPF B -A CF- C - F- CFC A Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent - http prerelease trendmicro-europe tive x win activex Backup hcImpl cab O - DPF D CDB E-AE D- CF- B - Shockwave Flash Object - http fpdownload macromedia com get flashplayer current swflash cab O - Service Intel R Matrix Storage Event Monitor IAANTMON - Intel Corporation - C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager Iaantmon exe O - Service InstallDriver Table Manager IDriverT - Macrovision Corporation - C Program Files Common Files InstallShield Driver Intel IDriverT exe -- End of file - bytes Agent OMZ Fix Agent OMZ Fix Credits Malware Analysis amp Diagnostic Code S Ri Fix Fix Credits Malware Analysis amp Diagnostic Code S Ri RK DNS HKLM SYSTEM CCS Services Tcpip BC A- - D - B - BE CEE E DhcpNameServer HKLM SYSTEM CS Services Tcpip BC A- - D - B - BE CEE E DhcpNameServer HKLM SYSTEM CS Services Tcpip BC A- - D - B - BE CEE E DhcpNameServer HKLM SYSTEM CCS Services Tcpip Parameters DhcpNameServer HKLM SYSTEM CS Services Tcpip Parameters DhcpNameServer H... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-rights.829839/