Windows Support Forum

Trouble accessing Simpleshare External Hard Drive

Q: Trouble accessing Simpleshare External Hard Drive

I m facing a big problem with my Simpleshare GB hard drive and Windows Vista Here is the situation I have two machines in network and both of them have more or less the same configuration Both have Intel Pentium Ghz processor and GB ram But the one in which i am having a problem right now also has MB Nvidia Geforce Graphics card I have been using Vista for quite sometime now But this time when i thought that my machine is becoming slow i formatted it and since then the issue with my External Hard drive has come Hard Simpleshare External Trouble accessing Drive up The access to the folders are very slow and if i want to install an application it takes ages to show up I must tell at this point that My Simpleshare is connected to both the machines and in the other machine there is no problem at all So at this point i can say its not a Generic Windows Vista and Simpleshare drive clash It is very specific to one of my machines i tried the following things Tried bringing up my machine in Selective startup mode In this mode i deselected all the services except for those which are required for networking in Windows Vista and disabled all the startup items Still the issue persisted At this moment my External Trouble accessing Simpleshare External Hard Drive hard drive is connected through a router to two of my machines This time Trouble accessing Simpleshare External Hard Drive i connected my external hard drive directly bypassing my Switch to make sure there is no problem with my Netgear Switch In Windows Xp this external hard drive works fine I tried that since i have two operating systems in my machine My Simpleshare also has an USB option which i havent tried till now becos i need to share this hard drive with two machines directly via a switch I hope connecting through USB will solve the problem becos i suspect my LAN Card a little But then again my internet connection works fine and other drives in the netowork can be accessed without any problem But when it comes to my Simpleshare it just slows down One important thing to note is the browsing of the folders are not that slow but for example if i want to watch a movie or install a software from that drive the explorer does not respond at all Right now i havent installed any Burning or Antivirus Software in Vista Please help as this is causing me real trouble nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Trouble accessing Simpleshare External Hard Drive

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Trouble accessing Simpleshare External Hard Drive

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-accessing-simpleshare-external-hard-drive.579052/
Relevancy 104.49%

Ok well I dropped my external hard drive and am now having trouble accessing it on my computer When Accessing drive Hard External Trouble I plug it in it makes this strange series of beeps Kind of hard to explain But anyways after that stops the icon in the bottom right corner appears letting me know that the computer has recognized Trouble Accessing External Hard drive the hard drive and is giving me the option to safely remove the device So this is where the trouble starts When I go to my computer my external is nowhere to be found It is listed in the device manager but I still can t access it I have tried updating the Trouble Accessing External Hard drive driver and rolling it back Trouble Accessing External Hard drive Still nothing I am hoping that the hard drive isn t fried and perhaps the enclosure is having trouble connecting the drive to the computer I have a ton of music on it so I m praying that I can get this squared away Any help would be much appreciated Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 103.2%

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron with the the new Windows Visa OS. I'm attempting to use my LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme (160gb). When i plug it in the computer only partially recognizes it. If I go to "manage" my computer and then storage, the device appears there. it doesn't, however, appear under the My Computer main page (the one with the main internal drive, and the cd/dvd drive...etc.)

Any ideas why the computer isn't allowing me to access the drive? If so, what do i do?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-accessing-external-hard-drive-with-vista-os.672115/
Relevancy 86.86%

I have an older 30 GB SATA drive (FAT format) that I use for backups via USB. It works fine when I connect it to my Mac. When I connect it to my XP SP2 computer, device manager shows it's there without any conflict, yet I have no way to access it - there is no icon under My Computer for it.

?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-accessing-an-external-sata-drive-via-usb-on-xp.953907/
Relevancy 86.86%

I am having a similar problem where a partition is not accessible and when I click on properties I get a message that recycle bin is corrupted. I have a win7 OEM Home edition and one feature that I do not see is the security tab in Properties that many of you have mentioned as a means to resolve this issue.
Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any and all considerations in this matter.

A:I am having trouble accessing a partition on an external drive.

I am having trouble accessing a partition on an external drive. Other partitions on that drive are accessible. When I click on properties for that partition, I get an message saying that the recycle bin is corrupted, do i want to empty it? I saw elsewhere in forums that others were having similar problem and that this was recommended as a solution. I downloaded the zip file, followed the instructions and when I click on properties for that partition I still do not get the option of taking ownership.
??????
Will try rebooting to see if that helps. Otherwise any and all consideration in this matter is appreciated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/319366-i-am-having-trouble-accessing-partition-external-drive.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I have an external hard drive that is connected to a laptop. I want to be able to view/access the files on that hard drive w/o physically having to be at the laptop it is connected to. Is my best bet for this to just set the drive as "shared" on my network so I can see the files from any computer connected to the network?
EDIT ---
2 machines are Win 7, 3 are Windows 8, we are behind different domains and connected to different workgroups, which I am sure throws a big wrench into things.

Relevancy 82.99%

I have a Seagate BUP Slimline 1TB external drive, all was working well, but I think I have pulled it out while it was "reading"

External drive shows in device manager and properties says its working properly

Nothing showing in Explorer or My Computer
Nothing showing in Disk Management

I have tried right clicking it within device manager to try and force it to disable/enable or update driver or uninstall and it just hangs indefinitely.

I have downloaded a couple of data recovery programs but they don't see the drive.

I have plugged the external into my sons desktop and it's not seen there either.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? or have I rendered it useless?

Any help would be much appreciated.

A:Help accessing external hard drive

Hi @3billy3!

Since the drive appears in Device Manager you can try to boot with Linux Live CD and see if you can access the data stored on it. In order to do that just follow these steps:

1. Download/burn the ISO image to a CD or USB.
2. Change the boot order to the media you burned the Linux on.
3. Once it loads, you could try and mount the drive (or if Linux can read it, it will mount by itself) and see if it is recognized. In case it is - transfer the data.

Once the information is stored on another location you can run a diagnostic test on the external with the manufacturer tool and see if anything wrong will be detected. In case there is you can RMA it back and get a replacement unit if it's still under warranty.

Hope this helps and let me know how it went. Feel free to upload some screenshots as well so I can take a look.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398589-help-accessing-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I was moving some files between my external hard drive and computer, but my cat knocked over the external, causing it to disconnect. I am now having trouble accessing the hard drive. I'm thinking that the hard drive became corrupt (like when it does not get safely removed). I've tried to use Testdisk to try to repair the hard drive, but I keep getting "Partition: Read Error". I cant access the hard drive at all, but it does get detected by the computer. Is the data still salvageable? The drive is a 1TB toshiba external SATA drive.

Relevancy 82.13%

Hello everyone,
I have a WD passport 1 terrabyte external hard drive. I brought it abroad with me and transfered some files from it to my sister's computer and when I tried plugging it into my computer at home again it gives me the error: "You need to format disk drive G: before you can use it". Also whenever I plug it in it makes my computer so slow that I cannot do anything on it. So I tried downloading Partition Table Doctor and I cannot actually use it because it is so slow that it won't load my external hard drive when I plug it in. My sister's OS is WIndows 7 and I have Vista. Anyway, please help! I will gladly give more information, whatever is needed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-wd-passport-external-hard-drive.1011322/
Relevancy 82.13%

I just updated my computer to Windows XP which use at least a third of my rather small hard drive. I realize that external hard drives are usually used for storage but I was wondering if there is an application or method to use an external hard drive to hold and launch some of the programs I usually would have installed on my hard drive?

A:Accessing programs from external hard drive

No problem as long as the drivers for the drive are always loaded before the programs from it.
Any program can be installed to a different drive - it is an option on the program install.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-programs-from-external-hard-drive.253201/
Relevancy 82.13%

I took some video with my Sony Handycam and imported it onto my external hard drive with my desktop computer. This desktop uses Vista home premium 64 bit OS.

Now when I connect my external hard drive to an older computer, I can only hear the audio with Windows Media Player but cannot see the video.

Is there something I have to do to my older, Windows XP computer to be able to view this or is that impossible since it was imported with a 64bit pc?

A:Accessing MPEG on external hard drive

Copy it to your hard drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-mpeg-on-external-hard-drive.894373/
Relevancy 82.13%

western digital GB hard drive inside an external usb enclosure from bytecc com is constantly accessing hard external drive constantly being accessed i can t quot legally quot unplug it from my box with the quot safely unplug hardware quot icon from taskbar gives error quot The Device Generic Volume cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it quot constantly accessing external hard drive and the access light on the enclosure comfirms that it is being accessed but i dont know why or by what my AVG anti-virus perhaps there doesn t appear to be any loss of data when i just constantly accessing external hard drive unplug without the quot safely unplug hardware quot icon but id like to figure out how to stop this unknown application from constantly accessing my hard drive because i have another external drive from buslink gb usb that unplugs and plugs fine my reason for suspecting AVG anti-virus is that when i plug i in almost immediately an AVGsomethingoranother dat file and a hidden folder with AVg in its name appear on the drive the dat file is onle a couple kbytes XP SP thanks in advance for any help provided nbsp

A:constantly accessing external hard drive

Are any programs installed directly to it rather than just using it for storage? If so any one of them if running can cause a problem. Another test you can do is do an msconfig and pick to bootup with certain things enabled or disabled. this will givey ou a list of the running things and what may be accessing the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/constantly-accessing-external-hard-drive.334359/
Relevancy 82.13%

Ok, I just got a new external hard drive enclosure and a new hard drive to go inside it. I just removed the hard drive to put in a formerly working hard drive that used to be a master hard drive inside my system. I want to access the My Documents folder in the former hard drive and put them on my current hard drive so I can wipe the former hard drive and use it in my system. Does anyone know how I can access this My Documents folder? Every time I go to {Hard drive letter}/Documents and Settings/{User Name}/, it says that access is denied . How do I get around this message. (I already tried going to Properties and remove the "Read Only" check mark. Didn't work.) Could someone please help?

A:Accessing My Documents on External Hard Drive

log in as admin and not as your regular name, most likely the system thinks your a diff. user, see if u can change the filer permissions on the folders

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-my-documents-on-external-hard-drive.542388/
Relevancy 82.13%

I am new to this site so forgive me for not searching for my answer before posing the problem A month ago my five year old Dell running ceased Windows XP SP ceased booting I ended up buying a new machine Dell running Windows Since the old if it drive Accessing internal external. hard is as an machine will not boot I have Accessing an internal hard drive as if it is external. connected the old hard drive to the new machine because I need many of the files saved there The problem seems to be entering the hard drive with access as if Accessing an internal hard drive as if it is external. it were the primary source Windows XP login and Accessing an internal hard drive as if it is external. administrator PW The new machine does recognize the drive and all the files however due to quot security restrictions quot I can not even view a photo from the old drive Is there a way I can access the old drive s files Ideally I would like to even to be able to access my email accounts from the old drive so I can transfer files which had been quot saved to this machine quot so I can transfer them to the server and in turn save them to the new machine I am not sure if it is possible but if I were able to create a back door remote access without being able to initiate it from the old computer I think I may be able to get what I need and want - like my iTunes photos etc Any help will be much appreciated thanks nbsp

A:Accessing an internal hard drive as if it is external.

You simply need to take ownership of the files, see here: http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to...sions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-an-internal-hard-drive-as-if-it-is-external.932304/
Relevancy 82.13%

I just installed an external hard drive quot drive connected to and accessing Problem drive USB external new hard powered by a USB port My XP Pro PC recognized it did a search for drivers and gave me a quot your new device has been installed and is ready for use quot message When I look in Device Manager I see it as a quot USB Mass Storage Device quot -- I verified this by unplugging it and plugging it back in the device disappeared and reappeared in Device Manager When I click on it in Device Manager it says quot The Device Is Working Properly quot and that it s Location Location USB to IDE My problem I can t access it When I look under quot My Computer quot I don t see it there all I have is the same drives I had before installing the external hard drive Here s the list C D Note C and D are partitions of the same Master drive on my first IDE controller G which is the Slave on the first IDE controller A floppy E F my DVD drive and DVD-RW Problem accessing new external USB hard drive drive on the second IDE controller Master and Slave Any ideas folks nbsp

A:Problem accessing new external USB hard drive

Right click on My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. Find the drive in the graphic display, you can partition and format it there. After that, it shows up in My Computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-accessing-new-external-usb-hard-drive.312341/
Relevancy 82.13%

I bought a DELL labtop Inspiron over two from external files Accessing hard drive years ago It got XP Home version A couple of weeks ago a cup of coffee was spilled on my laptop I took it to a computer shop They contacted Dell and tried to order the labtop motherboard but to no avail as Dell has discontinued manufacturing this type The warranty is only year So I decided to use it for spare parts What s an expensive cup of coffee Ouch After removing the hard drive Gb from the labtop I made it as an external USB type hard drive It was a perfect solution as at least I can save the data But the fun was a short one as I now experience something to do with file access Connecting the external hard drive to my PC I can see all the files and folders on it The problem is on my Dell Accessing files from external hard drive laptop I have users setup under Document and Setting One of the user logon userA enforces password while the the other userB enfoces no password for logging on I can open files from userB with no problem Accessing files from external hard drive but can not open files or folders from userA It says quot Access denied quot or quot file inaccessible quot Is there a way to overcome this Thank you in anticipation folks nbsp

Relevancy 82.13%

I recently had issues with a computer and needed files accessing drive Help with external hard on to get a new one but was able to save the hard drive from the old and use as an external it had everything on it and I didn t back it up Anyway I purchased a Dynex external hard disc case hooked it up to the new computer and it accesses only half of the stuff It apepars that the things on the external that had a password to access it Help with accessing files on external hard drive will now allow to me access My computer is telling me I quot do not have permission to access that file quot How can I gain access to those files that I was able to access on the other computer Its the same hard drive Is there a way to enter the sign-on password info so that I access the quot protected quot stuff They were really only microsoft word documents but thousands of them as well as digital voice files I ve already tried the quot properties Security Owner change ownership quot thing Didn t work Thanks Kate nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-accessing-files-on-external-hard-drive.190805/
Relevancy 82.13%

hello! i recently got blackscreened on my old dell. it would boot up to the log in screen and allow me to pass but would not load from there. from what i read online, this SATA cable would allow me to access my hard drive on another computer to possibly save some files. when i plug it in to the new computer, it recognizes the drive but when I click on it i get "Access is denied." I tried to go to settings-security-allow user permissions to access. When I did that I could see some file names I recognized flash by on the screen but it still wont allow me access. any help is greatly appreciated!!

A:trouble accessing hard drive via SATA cable

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftechnet.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Flibrary%2Fcc753659.aspx&ei=FyVXU46RFufZ2wXW5YGABg&usg=AFQjCNEjdekykpsYrvL4JcIQn4F0BpgEnQ&sig2=XQw2Q3LkdVaFGZjbynmu_g&bvm=bv.65177938,d.b2I

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-accessing-hard-drive-via-sata-cable.1124636/
Relevancy 81.27%

I have an external USB hard drive with only a basic DOS OS and lots of documents I archive. When I plug it into a USB port on my computer running Windows xp sp3 it detects the drive, then undetects it, then detects it again, then undetects it, etc. It keeps going back and forth so I never have a chance to access the drive before it disappears again. I've tried different USB cables and ports. How can I get it to be recognized and stay recognized?

A:Windows xp problem accessing external USB hard drive

Hello, and welcome to TSG.

I suggest you check the connections inside the drive's casing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-problem-accessing-external-usb-hard-drive.976471/
Relevancy 81.27%

HELP!!!  My external hard drive was damaged in a move and the USB port that attaches to the computer has become detached from the card that has the SimpleSave software on in order to access the data on the hard drive.  I have looked everywhere to find out how I can access this data without it, but no answers.  I need to purchase a new card with the USB port on it but cannot get through to HP Customer Service.  Can anyone help me in order to retrieve my data onto a new external hard drive.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Accessing-HP-SimpleSave-1TB-external-hard-drive-no-USB-port/td-p/5646120
Relevancy 81.27%

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out here I have a strange situation I'm running Windows and I a external an partition Problem hard accessing drive on have an external hard drive that won't let me access GB or so of its TB The drive mounts about GB and the rest is nowhere to be found If I go into Disk Manager I can see both of them the GB reads as K FAT healthy active and Problem accessing a partition on an external hard drive primary Problem accessing a partition on an external hard drive partition while the other reads as healthy and primary partition no letter or anything else If I right-click it my only options are delete volume and help It's brand new and the GB has nothing on it Here's the catch it's not my hard drive This hard drive actually has to go back to a Mac user NOT a Windows user to reiterate I've only got so long with this thing and I have to put some files on it How can I make this GB usable for me so I can put files on it and then usable for a Mac user I'll provide any information you need Thanks

A:Problem accessing a partition on an external hard drive

the mac part is what got me to my answer, it is because that 900GB partition most likely in format mac os journaled and not seeable by windows at all and never will be it has to be fat 32, NTFS (which a mac can't write too without special drivers), or ExFAT which if you are sure that there is nothing on it then you can delete the whole partition setup of it and format the whole thing to ExFat as that is something mac and windows can read and write too.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/37317-problem-accessing-partition-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Okay I have a problem (Clickfree) Problems Accessing Having Hard Drive External with my TB Clickfree C Harddrive When I first got the drive I just plugged it in and I could browse all the files much like a usb stick I ended up installing the software that comes with it and updated it Now it wants to act as a back up device and just back up all my files my problem now is it has changed for some reason to - H CF LINUX and only MB where it used to say H Removable Drive with TB I know this sounds very complicated I'm thinking I can reformat the drive but I would lose all the files I had on the drive which would be bad seeing is how I backed up everything I External Hard Drive (Clickfree) Having Problems Accessing had then deleted off the computer Hense the purpose of a External hard drive If anyone knows what is the problem please help Okay basically I want my drive to be set back to a Removable Drive with TB like i had it before just confused why it is set to CF LINUX only MB FAT and if anyone knows if the files have been deleted

A:External Hard Drive (Clickfree) Having Problems Accessing

Do not initiate or format the drive for any reason unless you can back up all the data on it.

Lesson learned: Do not install the "bloat-ware" that comes with these external drives. W7 can handle all of the functions in this redundant software. And if you were to be unhappy with Windows functionality, there are much better, stand alone programs that you could use instead.
Can you see your data on the drive when looking in Windows Explorer?
With the drive connected, could you post a screenshot of the Disk Management screen here?
Do you recall the software doing a backup during or after you installed it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/211359-external-hard-drive-clickfree-having-problems-accessing.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I'm running windows xp and have linux installed on a separate hard drive. The drive doesn't show up in my computer and windows explorer isn't able to let me view the files. The drive shows in disk management, but does not have a letter assigned to it, nor am I able to assign a letter to it. The Linux hard drive has a ext3 partition and a 2gb swap partition on it. I need to access the ext3 partition. Any help is appreciated. Is there anyway to make windows explorer able to view the files on the ext3 partition on the linux drive?

*edit* nevermind, I got it to work using ext2IFS

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-trouble-accessing-my-linux-hard-drive-through-windows-xp.707507/
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello I've been having a problem with my Lacie TB external HDD for some time now I'll just precise that it's a USB disk and has an on off switch I apologize if the post is long but I'm gonna put in everything I can think of The disk worked fine for a few months then at one point it started hard clicking and soon after I external when drive. freezes Windows accessing explorer hard was unable to transfer any data in or out of the disk without causing the transfer to hang after about s I sent it back to Windows explorer freezes when accessing external hard drive. Lacie for repair and Windows explorer freezes when accessing external hard drive. long story short after they quot lost quot my disk they sent me a brand new one but apparently the repair centre wasn't informed so I received my old disk too repaired So I now have similar HDDs My problem is - at first when I tried to run the format tool preloaded on Windows explorer freezes when accessing external hard drive. the disk to format the disk before use it hanged and the progress bar didn't move The only way to close the window was to shut down the disk That happened on both disks and they were then listed as RAW in disk manager - I tried to format or delete the volume using window's built in tool but when I select my format options and click ok it just gets back to the disk manager with the hourglass mouse pointer as if it's doing something although there is no progress bar or anything It just stays there for hours although it should be super fast as the disk is empty I tried different softwares like partition magic but they just hang on quot detecting devices quot as soon as I turn the disk on Same thing for disk manager if I open it after having turned on the disk it just hangs on quot connecting to virtual service quot Again same with both disks - I then tried to format the disks using my dad's xp laptop and the software Partition Wizard and it formated both disks into NTFS in seconds That leads me to believe that the fault comes from my laptop I partitioned one of the disks with GB of FAT and the rest in NTFS to see if it would change anything on my laptop - For both disks and both NTFS and FAT when I try accessing them from quot Computer quot I sometimes can get in the disk folder but when I try to copy a file in it the tranfer bar just stalls on quot transferring file quot without even starting the transfer If I try clicking somewhere the transfer windows blanks out and freezes followed by the quot Computer quot window then windows explorer itself If I turn off the disk then everything returns back to normal Sometimes just trying to access the disk folder freezes everything and that can affect wmp or any other program open they just freeze until the disk is turned off This happens every time Not finished - At one point it kinda started working if I had the little software Lacie USB Boost activated which is supposed to boost your transfer speed Here's a copy of what I sent Lacie I spent months with the support team and I'm not closer to resolving that They replied to this post by saying that there is no known issue with the usb boost quot If the USB Boost is activated I can now transfer files to the disk however I get the exact same error message xd as the one I described in my very first post if I try to transfer large files to the disk although it did that for a Mb file This problem is the same as the one experienced by this person BSOD when transfering Large files to external HD He has the same disk as me and it was suggested that he uninstalled the USB boost or changed the extension of the FNETURPX sys to make it unusable I did that which brings me to the nd problem If I do disable the USB Boost I revert back to the message saying that the file is no longer in its folder and I can't create a new folder on the disk either I have tried to reenable the usb boost and transferring works again but for large files I get the stop error message again quot I have now uninstalle... Read more

A:Windows explorer freezes when accessing external hard drive.

Hi welcome back wolvo7,
Sorry to hear of your problems.
If you have sent the repot of BSoD using this method it is OK:_
Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions
If not please download this & upload report with next post.
I will inform a member of the forum BSoD experts, who when available will comment on your thread.
Meanwhile I ask you to be patient.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/289330-windows-explorer-freezes-when-accessing-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 80.41%

My apologies if this particular problem has been posted before I used the Search button when 'lags' external Audio accessing hard drive playback and have even tried searching the net but have found nothing that can help me and so I m hoping some of you can My problem is that whenever I transfer files from my external hard drive Maxtor DiamondMax GB to my C drive whilst playing music in any audio Audio playback 'lags' when accessing external hard drive player in any format I believe the playback lags and sometimes even stops until the transfer is complete The external hard drive is farely new I d say about months and has been causing this problem from the start And so I formatted my PC in hopes of solving the problem but it hasn t Any ideas as to how I can stop this Or perhaps point me in the direction to someone who can help I ve put up with this problem for quite a while now but it would be great to finally sort it out I use Windows XP If there are any other details you need let me know and I will get back to you with it Any help will be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 80.41%

I am having problems accessing a newly installed external hard drive. Keep getting the "windows explorer has encountered a problem" message , after which my computer goes back to my desktop. Everything else seems to run correctly. Please note that I am a noob about these things. Please help. I can move content onto the drive succesfully, it's just opening it without resets or freezes that is causing the problems. thank you in advance.

A:Windows Explorer Problems When Accessing External Hard Drive

Is this a hard drive that you bought pre-configured, or is it a hard drive that you've bought a drive caddy for? If it's pre-configured, then I'd suspect an issue with the hardware of the external drive. If it's your caddy, then I'd suggest checking the jumper settings on the hard drive to ensure that they're correctly set.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/93842/windows-explorer-problems-when-accessing-external-hard-drive/
Relevancy 76.97%

I'm having trouble with an external hard drive I bought A few months ago. I tipped over the usb cord and the external fell off my desk. Now it wont connect to my computer. When I try to place the usb in the HDD the usb connector moves back and the cable wont go in.

Here is the same one i have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Seagate-200GB-External-USB-2-0-Hard-Drive-For-PCs-MAC_W0QQitemZ350105594190QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350105594190&_trkparms=72%3A1208|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The brand of this drive is Cosmos
S/N:0500034756

Here are some pictures of my external drive:

How can I repair the usb connector?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-with-external-hard-drive.756508/
Relevancy 76.97%

I have a Seagate FreeAgent 500GB USB external hard drive. The trouble is, a friend gave me the hard drive to get some video files off of it, I plug it into my computer, I partitioned it and it shows up in my computer, but when I try to open it, it tells me I have to format it before I can use it...

This is bad because I NEED the files on the hard drive, so is there any way that I can open this hard drive WITHOUT formatting it??

And I think the person that used it before me used it on a mac, I know that is probably the problem, but if there is anyway I can get the video files off the hard drive with out reformatting it before I open that would be great.

A:External hard drive trouble HELP!

I have the same problem with my laptop drive it was in an asus and has Vista Ultimate 64 bit installed, I can access the partition just fine but when I try to access the main drive it asks me to reformat. I made a thread of my own before seeing this one, we have very similar issues..

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drive-trouble-help-324952.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I own an iomega Tb external hard drive connected by USB Recently the drive suffered a small fall and hasn t worked properly When powered on the drive speeds up properly sounding like it did before the fall so I had some hope that it was working properly Unfortunately when I connected it to my laptop it didn t show up on the list of drives on My Computer I connected it to a desktop that had never connected to it before and it installed the drivers correctly but again did not show up under My Computer When I opened Drive Management I saw the drive listed but it said it was Not Initialized I can initialize it but I m afraid that it might make the data on the drive unrecoverable I really need the data inside and can t afford to lose it Is it possible to initialize the drive without losing the data on it As well is there a way to External Hard Drive Trouble extract the data on the drive and back it up to a computer without initializing it Any help at all would be much appreciated nbsp

A:External Hard Drive Trouble

Try Test Disk.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-trouble.986157/
Relevancy 76.97%

My External hard drive is a Maxtor (now seagate) with a capacity of 1TB. Has 300GB of my information i.e my life!!!

Since a couple of days I have been trying to get it to work. I connect the HD to the laptop, it lights up, makes the normal noises, but doesnt autoplay. I go into the my computer and click on the HD but it comes back with - F:/ Application not found - !!!!

Is it my pc at fault?? I use Vista on my Hp laptop!

Or is that the software for the HD at fault!

The icon does show: 600GB left of 900GB for the HD so i am guessing that the information is still intact!!!
Please help. . . !! I cant stress how valuable the info is on this HD.

A:External hard drive in trouble

someone once told me, and no i tell others that the 1TB drives are very unreliable and shouldnt be used for storing anything of value...

Time after time ive heard from friends and collegues who have come across this and feel sorry, after all companies make them as nothing more than a selling point, when in fact you could buy 2 lots of 500gb drives and be a lot safer.

Its sad to say but your data has to all intents gone west...and may not be recoverable, that said, you could direct mount the drive into a tower pc and use a good quality file restorer to try and get them back..

if you do, dont use a 1 TB drive again will you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-in-trouble.149792/
Relevancy 76.97%

My former internal hard drive has quit so I have lost all my programs. I purchased an external hard drive with USB 2.0 hook up and it is my only hard drive. I'm trying to install everything back on my computer just like it was from factory. I am installing this hard drive with no instructions because the instructions included are to run through windows and windows ain't there because the computer won't recognize the drive. Now, I have no clue how to install the drive. What do I do to get my system to recognize the external drive so that I can get my computer back to normal? Do I need to send back the drive and get an internal instead? Or can I switch the stuff around in the bios to get it enabled? Or, should I load the gun and just end it all now? Hope you can help.

Relevancy 76.97%

i have just reinstalled windows 7 home premium 64 bit

now one of my external hard drives doesn,t work.

when i click start and click my computer it shows me the drives.

c is the internal drive j is one of my external drives and is working, but drive e is the one i cannot get to work.

the others have a bar next to them showing how much space is used and left.

all drive e shows is the letter.

in device manager the drives are working and have upto date drivers.

the drive worked fine before i reinstalled , ( which i did to clear all the crap off my pc )
it has some documents i want .

can anyone help with this problem.

thanks

A:trouble with external hard drive

Can you run diskmgmt.msc from the Run prompt in your Start menu and post a screenshot?
Sounds like your E: drive is working OK but no filesystem is recognized on it. Do you remember what you had formatted the drive as? I assume NTFS?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/189111-trouble-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 76.97%

i got a rock mobile disk external hardrive so i can put my movies on there and play them all on my xbox (im using a mac). all of my movies went on there no problem, but when i plug into my xbox it doesnt come up under portable devices... someone please guide me on what to do to make this work- thanks, tony

Relevancy 76.11%

I have a new Windows 8.1 PC and an even newer WD My Book Essential External Hard Drive. I often find it difficult to eject the latter from my computer. Just now, for example, I tried to eject it and received the message ?This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again.? The trouble is, there don't seem to be any programs active, and indeed task manager showed ?There are no running apps.? After some online research I downloaded Microsoft's Process Explorer and searched for the external drive but this showed simply ?0 matching items.? Can anyone suggest what the problem could be, please?

A:Trouble ejecting WD external hard drive

Hi curt jugg!
It's a very peculiar problem you have. Generally, if you're using the Safely remove hardware option you shouldn't have any concerns.
This is Window's built in safely eject solution. But sometimes it's possible that it will tell you that it's not safe or that this device is currently in use. It won't tell you which application's using the device which makes it a lot harder to fix. Though, you could guess and try a few things.
Close every Windows Explorer windows and every program that may be using a file from the external device. This includes the antivirus and any applications on the Taskbar. Then safely eject.
Check if you have Indexing turned off on your drive by right clicking on it and choosing Properties. If it's on, turn it off, see if that works.
You could also shut down the PC completely, or log off and then log on, and after it eject the drive. But this takes more time and can be quite annoying. But sometimes such an error is just a temporary glitch occurring perhaps with no important reason and the restart/log off option is the best approach.
If none of this works for you, you could follow the advices for a third party software from this Microsoft article:
Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
I hope I've helped!
Cheers and best of luck!
CK_WD

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/55351-trouble-ejecting-wd-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I have primarily use a Dell Studio laptop I recently had a hard drive failure Luckily I cloned my entire hard drive to an external hard drive using Macrium Reflect I tried changing the boot order in the BIOS so that my laptop would boot from a USB device but this doesn t work I also tried using bootsect to make my external hard drive bootable but to no avail Can anyone give me any help with getting my laptop to run off the external hard drive The laptop in question no longer boots at all it crash dumps every time I try to turn it on and boot from the internal hard drive and it crashes when it automatically takes itself into Startup Repair Just thought I d add what I tried to do with bootsect Put bootsect exe into windows System quot Open cmd bcdboot c windows s c bootsect nt c mbr diskpart sel vol c act quot But the cmd said quot bootsect is not recognised as an internal or external command operable program or batch file quot nbsp

A:Trouble booting from an external hard drive

The BIOS in Dell laptop's doesn't usually give you a lot of options so it might not be possible to boot from USB. Presumably you'll be looking to replace the internal hard drive with a working one? If so, you could use a different system to clone the content of your external hard drive to the new internal one and then plug it into your Dell.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-booting-from-an-external-hard-drive.1025990/
Relevancy 76.11%

Last night during the shut down process a message popped up telling me that a certain file was corrupt and that I should run CHKDSK. I should have made a note of the name of the file, but I didn't. It was a gibberish name that may have started with "m$".

Today, I find that my external hard drive (a Maxtor One Touch III) is inaccessible. When I try to access it through Windows Explorer, I get the following message: "F:\ is inaccessible. The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable."

I ran CHKDSK. At the beginning, it gave me the following message: "Warning! F parameter not specified. Running CHKDSK in read-only mode." It claimed to fix some things at the end of step 2, but it didn't help.

Device Manager thinks that the device is running properly.

I rebooted the machine but that didn't help either.

Any ideas?

Relevancy 75.25%

Hello everyone I apologize in advance if I external hard drive Trouble up software starting ve posted this in the wrong category I m just not sure if the problem is with Trouble starting up external hard drive software the external hard drive with the software or with Windows itself I bought a WD My Passport external hard drive two days ago The drive connected properly and I managed to install the software for it However none of the programs will start Instead I m given the following message WDSmartWare exe - Fatal error CLR error The program will not terminate Click to expand I m not very technologically inclined I ve googled the error and it doesn t seem to be a problem isolated to this specific software I m not sure what the problem is I ve tried reinstalling all the apps but I still receive the same message Trouble starting up external hard drive software Earlier Trouble starting up external hard drive software in the day before trying to set up the external hard drive I uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Security Essentials I m not sure if this is relevant or not I ve contacted WD support but to no avail I appreciate any assistance Thanks so much --- Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium bit Processor Intel R Core TM Duo CPU T GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Mobile Intel R Series Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Wistron Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Disabled nbsp

Relevancy 75.25%

This problem just happened recently, I have tried to connect my SimpleTech 750GB external hard drive to 2 desktop computers, 1 laptop and the message I get most of the time was that the USB device cannot be recognized. After about 1/40 tries, then the computer recognizes but after a few minutes or so the device gets disconnected and the whole problem occurs again.
Anyway of fixing this problem? or is my hard drive dieing?

A:Computer is having trouble recognizing my external hard drive.

The case may be bad or dying.
Remove the drive from the case and connect it using an adapter:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2329300&Sku=M501-1220
You can also connect it directly to your computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-is-having-trouble-recognizing-my-external-hard-drive.840816/
Relevancy 73.53%

Last week the harddrive on my laptop mostly stopped working since i could no longer start the computer without it getting stuck halfway through. I have now replaced the harddrive and re-installed Windows Vista. My brother gave me an external harddrive caddy to use to try and recover the files i had on my old harddrive. I have just plugged it in but i can only see the Recovery Partition and *not* the main partition with all my files on. . How can i view this other partition? thank you very much.

the indicator which shows how much of the harddrive is full seems to be the same as it was before so hopefully my files are still there

A:Solved: Trouble Viewing Hard Drive Partitions In External Caddy: Please Help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-trouble-viewing-hard-drive-partitions-in-external-caddy-please-help.1009761/
Relevancy 70.52%

Every time I try backing up my laptop running Vista Home Premium to my NAS I find it along with my other computer plus the laptop showing in the Network but when I go to back up it wants a user name and password. I don't use passwords on my computers so have no idea what it is asking for. I can access any of the network for saving or file moving etc. just won't let me backup to any of them. I have scanned various forums and find other people having same problems and have tried their offered solutions with no luck. I was wondering if anyone here has a suggestion? Oh also have tried to backup to the other computer and to an external hard drive attached by usb to it and no luck it still comes up with the same box for user name and password
thanks!!

A:Can't Backup Laptop To Simpleshare Drive

I can't offer any suggestions for the network thing but I do know that many software backup programs have an option to turn on password authentication. It could also be a permissions thing but my experience lies with XP on those matters.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/135448/cant-backup-laptop-to-simpleshare-drive/
Relevancy 67.08%

I will be going on vacation to mexico soon and would like to know if I can use my raspberry pi to access my external hard drives remotely.

I want to be able to use my macbook pro to access my hard drive (located in CA USA) and download or add files to it.
I don't want to download all the files on the drive (which is 3TB), but only want to download the files I want to download.

My drive is 3TB and is formated for mac use.

What is the best way to do this? also what is the best way to access my rpi from outside my local network? What the most secure way?

Local network:
modem--> wireless router-->ethernet-->switch->>ethernet-->rpi

Relevancy 67.08%

Hello Have an issue I haven t been able to find an answer to yet I think I may have a Issues hard drives. accessing external virus that is preventing me from being able to access some of my externals I have one external drive that has no issues at all but my card reader won t let me open it s files at all and the external drive my wife uses for her Issues accessing external hard drives. laptop is having the same issues Anyway I believe it s a Issues accessing external hard drives. virus because when I try to access the reader I get the message quot Windows cannot find SySTEm EXE Just like that with the odd capitalizations When I try my wife s drive it says quot K sYstEM Issues accessing external hard drives. exe The NTVDM CPU has incountered an illegal instruction CS e d IP OP d Choose Close to terminated the application I did recently reinstall windows but didn t do anything to these externals so thinking that where the problem might be Here is my HiJack This log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe D Program Files Avast Antivirus AvastSvc exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system SearchIndexer exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS System ezSP Px exe C WINDOWS System WScript exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C WINDOWS Mixer exe D PROGRA AVASTA avastUI exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliType Pro type exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exe C WINDOWS system EXSHOW EXE C Program Files Messenger MSMSGS EXE D Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync wcescomm exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMBgMonitor exe D PROGRA MICROS rapimgr exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexStoreSvr exe D Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpohmr exe D Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpotdd exe C Program Files Sony USBSircs usbsircs exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexingService exe D Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpoevm exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe D Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging Bin hpoSTS exe c progra Support com client bin tgcmd exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWService exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWTray exe C WINDOWS system HPZipm exe D Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe d Program Files uTorrent uTorrent exe D Program Files HiJack This HijackThis exe C WINDOWS system SearchProtocolHost exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - d Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS System NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe installquiet O - HKLM Run ATIModeChange Ati mdxx exe O - HKLM Run ATIPTA C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS System igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run ezShieldProtector for Px C WINDOWS System ezSP Px exe O - HKLM Run VAIOSurvey c program files sony vaio survey surveysa exe O - HKLM Run ZTgServerSwitch c program files support c... Read more

A:Issues accessing external hard drives.

Wow, 81 views and not a single reply in almost a week? Don't tell me I've stumped you guys.

Anyway, here's a bump to hopefully get my issue back into the rotation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/issues-accessing-external-hard-drives.920282/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi there,

I won't get too deeply into the harrowing saga of how two external hard drives of mine died within days of each other. Rather, I'll just say that I would like to do a virus scan on several external hard drives (including/especially the one I just got to replace the others). In other words, I want to find out if there was a virus or something in the material that I'm putting on the hard drives that makes them die. Could this be possible? If so, how can I conduct a virus scan specifically on the external drives?

Thanks!
Sonya

A:Scanning an external hard drive for viruses? External Hard drive DRAMA!

In My Computer . . right click the external drive and select Scan with { name of AV }

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/scanning-an-external-hard-drive-for-viruses-external-hard-drive-drama-186769.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Concerning post http forums techguy Issues Bill) external (Help for hard accessing drives. org virus-oth -issues-accessing-external-hard-drives html I only registered to help Bill fix this problem since no one here could help Perhaps someone could PM him with this work around solution as I cannot Seems you have to be a God here in order to have the most basic options I have a work around and has worked for me System exe has already been removed hence that s why windows cannot find it However there are registry entries that still exist and tell windows to access the HD with that file in order to infect it also my guess I don t have time to post a long instructional guide-just search the registry regedit for the entries and remove Issues accessing external hard drives. (Help for Bill) them In the mean time in explorer you Issues accessing external hard drives. (Help for Bill) can just manually type in the drive you want to access in the address bar i e d You can also right click and choose Open from the menu and then click browse Go to C windows explorer exe and open it with that Be sure to tick quot always use this program quot Hope that helps nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/issues-accessing-external-hard-drives-help-for-bill.924421/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello I am not sure if this is the right forum to post my issue so please forgive me if I am in the wrong forum but I am so desperate to fix this issue I have t computers with very good size harrdrives What I want to do is to save my work my daily work on a external drive that I bought I bought the Maxtor Backup and OneTouch TB capacity Since it is a usb port I can place it in any pc but the purpose of this was to set it on one which I did and be able to copy my work from both pcs I can see it on the pc that is installed but when I go to other pc I can not What can I do or how can I be able to external accessing drive set it the drive to be abel to save from both pcs please help me thank you There is network on both pcs too nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

I m having problems getting drive Problem accessing external access to my external HD Drive It was working fine up until my latest Problem accessing external drive anti-virus scan The scan detected a virus in the file F System Volume Information restore F FFC D- - E -FCAC F RP A exe and then deleted the file to prevent further infection I use AVG free edition as my anti-virus On my next reboot I could not get the drive to work anymore It still gets detected the quot Safely Remove Hardware quot icon appears in the system tray and the device appears in the device manager and it s properties window says there is no problems with it However the device is slow to load and I cannot get it to appear in either My Computer or Windows Explorer both windows simply crash if I try to access them with the drive switched on and trying the shortcut to it on my desktop tells me the drive is unavailable Is there any way to fix this problem without losing any data The drive is a Maxtor One Touch GB if that helps any nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-accessing-external-drive.40229/
Relevancy 65.36%

Trying to access a external USB Hard Drive wirelessly. It is wired by USB to a Win XP SP2 Home desktop wired to a Linksys w 54G router. I'm trying to access it wirelessly with a Laptop Win XP SP 2 Home. I can access other files and/or printers on the desktop with no problem. I have checkmarked the correct things in the Shared tab of the drive, and it shows in the folder that opens when I access the desktop from the laptop. The error message is twofold: "You may not have permissions to access this folder" and "Not enough server storage to process this command". Occasionally I also get "The network path is not found".

Relevancy 64.93%

I have a Seagate Free Agent-320 external drive. When I try to access it, it keeps asking me 'to insert a disc'. I believe I need a boot sectore on the drivem but don't know how to install one, if I can't access the drive. What's up

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-a-free-agent-320-external-drive.1084165/
Relevancy 64.93%

So I have a 75 gig firewire drive (Ganite FireVue 1394-IDE Bridge LUN0 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device) that I used for video capturing with Mac computers. I would now like to use it on my PC.

The hardware manager shows that both my Firewire card and my drive are working properly and have updated drivers.

However, I have no idea how to access the drive! I thought it would appear in My Computer like a plug and play device would. But this is not the case.

It shows up in the Disk Management as the following:
"Disk 2: Unknown 71.59 GB Online" and "71.59 GB Unallocated". It has that little minus sign in a red circle on top of the icon. But I never used disk management, nor if I should. There are some files on the drive.

Enough babble! Can you help me get at my drive?

A:Problems accessing external firewire drive

it is formatted for macs you need it formatted for pcs, i think macs can read pc file system but pcs cannot read mac file system so what you do is put your info back on the mac and reformat drive with the pc than move files back to the drive than the pc can read it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-accessing-external-firewire-drive.150482/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Toshiba satellite click mini, tried to use my external hard drive but its not showing up at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
its a Seagate 250gb hard drive. Thanks in advance

A:Satellite click mini not reconising external hard drive or external DVD drive

Originally Posted by rachel.nickells

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Toshiba satellite click mini, tried to use my external hard drive but its not showing up at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
its a Seagate 250gb hard drive. Thanks in advance

Is it usb powered? If so does the hard drive spin up? Are there any clicking noises from the drive?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?83630-Satellite-click-mini-not-reconising-external-hard-drive-or-external-DVD-drive
Relevancy 64.5%

I want to get an external hard drive dvd burner combo if there is such a thing To make this question as simple as possible I need a drive/dvd-rw External OR Solved: combo? External drive Hard Hard hard drive that my camera can be plugged into with the firewire I also need the hard drive that is able to plug in to the USB slot on my computer Solved: External Hard drive OR External Hard drive/dvd-rw combo? because my new Dell doesn t seem to tolerate a firewire card which I installed and then took out and returned to the store It froze my computer and I tried everything to stabilize it but had no luck It did work long enough to download min or so of video and I burned that onto a cd Thats when I found out I had a dvd-rom not a dvd burner long story I know Sorry I just want to figure out the most economical way now to save my movies and burn them to dvd also using either another external dvd burner or maybe there is a hard drive dvd burner combo Or should I just get two separate externals Again I need the hard drive burner to plug into my computer with usb Then the firewire from the camera would go into the hard drive burner to download the movies nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

A problem has been plaguing me for some time now. I use a Western Digital MyWorld NAS 2Tb drive, set to Raid 1 with 1Tb live and 1Tb mirrored. I have multiple notebooks connected wirelessly to a home network. One notebook is connected via Cat 5 direct to the router. This notebook is the work PC. It also has a corporate cisco VPN client. When accessing the NAS drive with this machine I am able to explore the drive and its content and all directories. However, each time a modification is attempted, such as renaming a file or directory, or moving a directory or file to another location, the PC does a hard dump and crashes. I have spent hours with Western Digital on the phone. We have shut down all services and start up items using msconfig. All to no avail. Please help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-crash-when-accessing-external-storage-drive-files.856395/
Relevancy 62.35%

I see it can be done from an installed to an external, but can it be done in reverse, taking the external cased hard drive and cloning it to an internal? The old hard drive is from an xp laptop, and I can aquire another xp laptop if I can clone this way. Perhaps if I set the enclosure hard drive as master? All ideas are greatly appreciated. Many thanks

A:Clone a laptop hard drive from an external case to an internal hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clone-a-laptop-hard-drive-from-an-external-case-to-an-internal-hard-drive.1037757/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello,
I am trying to move all my files from my computer to my new external hard drive, but whenever I try and move a file over 4 GB in size i get this error message...
"The file is too large for the destination file system"... anyone know how I can get around this so I can move those files over?

A:Problem transfering large file from hard drive to external hard drive

Get ahold of some software that will break up the file into chunks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-transfering-large-file-from-hard-drive-to-external-hard-drive.105596/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hey a Hard Drive Drive External an please! 80gb Enclosure, Zune help in Hard Putting guys My Zune gb stopped working a while back It wouldn t charge So I thought I would take Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please! out the hard drive and use it as an external gb hard drive So I bought an quot ZIF encolsure for it and installed the hard drive into it All appears good with the installation When I plug the hard drive into the PC the light on the hard drive enclosure comes on and stays on amp the disk starts spinning Then Windows Vista does the whole quot Install new Hardware quot thing and calls it a quot Disk Drive quot and a quot USB Mass Storage Device quot and says hardware is installed and ready for use But the problem is I can t seem to access the drive I can t find it anywhere It doesn t show up as a drive I can use or anything I tried a third party partitioning prgram to try and find the disk so I could reformat it but it wouldn t it couldn t find it either I even plugged the drive into my Mac thinking that Disk Utility might be able to recognize it and let me wipe it but the Mac doesn t recognize it as anything Back in Vista Using Device Manager Vista notices the drive under the quot Disk Drives quot option as a quot Disk Drive quot and that it is elecronically signed by Microsoft since it has the Zune firmware on it but I can t do anything with it And this is the only place where I can see that the drive even exists I can t reformat it or anything Can anyone help me I thought I read somewhere that the problem is the zune firmware Is there anyway I can wipe it Please help I have spent hours searching online and can t seem to get anywhere If I have posted this is in the wrong forum I am sorry Thank you Timothy nbsp

A:Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please!

anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/putting-a-zune-80gb-hard-drive-in-an-external-hard-drive-enclosure-help-please.1009940/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi There,

Hoping to get some expert help. The problem is - is that upon start-up of windows my computer hard drive continually accesses itself constantly. I've tried killing things and seeing what is taking ram/CPU usage but don't see anything out of ordinary.

I do not have access to a XP boot CD.

Thanks
Chris

A:Hard Drive Keeps Accessing - Please Help

DDS (Ver_2011-06-12.02) - NTFSx86
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_25
Run by kng at 10:19:16 on 2011-06-22
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.3510.2331 [GMT -7:00]
AV: Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live! Anti-Virus *Enabled/Updated* {A1C4F2E0-7FDE-4917-AFAE-013EFC3EDE33}
AV: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise *Enabled/Updated* {918A2B0B-2C60-4016-A4AB-E868DEABF7F0}
============== Running Processes ===============
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
c:\drivers\audio\stacsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Broadcom Corporation\Broadcom USH Host Components\CV\bin\HostControlService.exe
C:\Program Files\Broadcom Corporation\Broadcom USH Host Components\CV\bin\HostStorageService.exe
svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption for PC\SbClientManager.exe
C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\aexnsagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe
C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\AccelerometerP11\InstallFilterService.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\EngineServer.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\VsTskMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfevtps.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k HPZ12
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k HPZ12
C:\Program Files\ScriptLogic\Desktop Authority\Client Files\8.08004.63486\SLClient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\ScriptLogic\Desktop Authority\Client Files\8.08004.63486\CBM\ScriptLogic.CBM.Agent.exe
C:\Program Files\Altiris\Dagent\dagent.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PrismXL.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SCRIPT~1\DESKTO~1\CLIENT~1\808004~1.634\SLAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Altiris\Dagent\dagentui.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\PDVDDXSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\ScriptLogic\Desktop Authority\Client Files\8.08004.63486\CBM\ScriptLogic.CBM.UserExperience.exe
C:\Program Files\NXPowerLite\loadnxploeaddin.exe
C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM\sttray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\AESTFltr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\udaterui.exe
C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\AeXAgentUIHost.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\McTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communicator\communicator.exe
C:\Program Files\SafeBoot Tray Manager\SbTrayManager.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\WIDCOMM\BLUETO~1\BTSTAC~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============
uStart Page = about:blank
uInternet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = hxxp://adobe.com/downloads
BHO: SnagIt Toolbar Loader: {00c6482d-c502-44c8-8409-fce54ad9c208} - c:\program files\techsmith\snagit 10\SnagitBHO.dll
BHO: Adobe PDF Link Helper: {18df081c-e8ad-4283-a596-fa578c2ebdc3} - c:\program files\common files\adobe\acrobat\activex\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection: {53707962-6f74-2d53-2644-206d7942484f} - c:\progra~1\spybot~1\SDHelper.dll
BHO: scriptproxy: {7db2d5a0-7241-4e79-b68d-6309f01c5231} - c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan enterprise\scriptsn.dll
BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper: {dbc80044-a445-435b-bc74-9c25c1c588a9} ... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/hard-drive-keeps-accessing-please-help-582409.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I have a notebook that bit the dust because of motherboard issues. It had win 7 on it. I took the hard drive out and have connected it to my older notebook a P4 - via a usb enclosure, that has win xp on it. When I look in the control panel, I see that the notebook is recognizing the usb hard drive but in my computer I cannot see it. What is going on? Not sure if this is a win 7 question, a win xp question or a hardware question - sorry if it is misposted. The hard drive in the usb enclosure has been partitioned to c: d: and e:

A:Accessing a hard drive with win 7 using win xp

I moved your thread from Windows 7 to XP since your current OS is XP. Perhaps it's a hardware issue.

What is it in the control panel that indicates the notebook is recognizing the USB hard drive?

I'm guessing that c:, d: and e: were the drive letters assigned to the partition when you booted to Windows 7. Almost guaranteed that different drive letters will be assigned whenever you mount the disk on another Windows system.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-a-hard-drive-with-win-7-using-win-xp.981728/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello all,

my old computer stopped working (some problem with the board) and I had to get a new one. I extracted the hard drive from it, a Seagate Momentus 5400.2, 120 GB drive, model ST9120821A. Is there a way to access that hard drive from my new computer? Do I need a cable or any other devise? Thanks a lot for your help... I know very little about computers and any help will be appreciated!

A:Accessing a Hard Drive?

3 ways

1. Mount the hard drive as secondary in the new PC if it has an IDE connector on the motherboard. Most newer PC's do not.

2. Install the drive into an external USB hard drive enclosure

3. Use one of these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189169

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-a-hard-drive.810345/
Relevancy 62.35%

MY DESKTOP COMPUTER'S MOTHERBOARD DIED,i NOW HAVE A LAPTOP I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE HARD DRIVE ON THE DEAD COMPUTER IN ORDER TO COPY FILES OR EVEN USE IT FOR EXTRA STORAGE. CAN THIS BE DONE? THE DEAD COMPUTER HAS WINDOWS XP,THE LAPTOP HAS WINDOWS 7.THE DESKTOP IS A DELL,THE LAPTOP ACER.

Relevancy 62.35%

hai,

i am using windows 7 64 bit version last night i installed magix pc check & tuning 2012.after i run the pc check then i select the fix all problems . today i open my computer and i accessing c drive and d drive there showing you have may not appropriate permission message showing. What can i do Plz help me thanks.

Plz check the screen shot.

A:Hard drive can not accessing

Quote: Originally Posted by thribhureddi

hai,

i am using windows 7 64 bit version last night i installed magix pc check & tuning 2012.after i run the pc check then i select the fix all problems . today i open my computer and i accessing c drive and d drive there showing you have may not appropriate permission message showing. What can i do Plz help me thanks.

Plz check the screen shot.

Welcome to 7 forums.

Do you get the permission message for both C and D drives or for folders in the drives ??

The screenshot is not there.

PS.
Please update your System Specs in the User CP.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210862-hard-drive-can-not-accessing.html
Relevancy 62.35%

and I don't know why It's driving me crazy because my pc has come to a grinding halt It's almost as if I tried launching programs at once Here are my specs P not dual core GHz MB of Ram Windows XP Pro Service Pack with a DVD ROM player The specs under my username are drive accessing Hard keeps something..... for my pc at home the one I need help with is my pc at work I suspect it's Hard drive keeps accessing something..... my memory I know it's very low and I'm planning on upgrading it to GB soon but in the meantime how do I figure out why my hard drive is always reading I opened up Windows Task Manager to see what's running but can't really understand much from that Is it possible my HD is dying My pc is approx years old but I take care of it Hard drive keeps accessing something..... defragging updating anti-virus spyware etc and have lots of programs which tune up and fix many problems Advanced System Pro Tune Up Utilities These programs have supposedly fixed alot of problems but my hard drive accesses even when I'm not using my computer I even disabled my anti-virus AVG and I have nothing running in my system tray In fact the only icon there is the volume control I ran numerous tests including virus spyware and had Advanced System Pro fix a whole bunch of things like registry memory etc AVG has found nothing infected and neither has Spybot So why is my hard drive constantly working I'm hoping that it's not my HD going on me Could it be windows' file-swapping Please any suggestions or help is much needed

A:Hard drive keeps accessing something.....

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking download and install CCleaner, delete temp files. Then download www.malwarebytes.org. If malwarebytes doesn't find anything then go to the Task Manager/Processes when your computer slows down, and see what program is using the most memory usage. Also go to Event Viewer and see if any System or Applications have a red X error next to them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-keeps-accessing-something-386137.html
Relevancy 62.35%

My son installed a slave hard drive on my Compaq Presario running Windows XP professional. The original hard drive was 111.78 gbs and the new one 250 gbs. When I do a cold boot of the computer, the second drive is not recognized (either in "My Computer" or the shortcut on the desktop.) Usually, but not always, the second drive shows up in "My Computer" and the shortcut, when I reboot. I'd like to use the drive for storage but am reluctant to put anything on it that I value very much, as I'm not sure I'll be able to access the drive again. Any suggestions for fixing this problem?

A:Accessing second hard drive

First thing I'd do is double check all the power and data connections. Maybe even try a new 80 wire IDe cable. Check the jumpers on the back of each drive as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-second-hard-drive.466256/
Relevancy 61.49%

Have a Fujitsu PIII C Series LifeBook Laptop. Model C7651 which has a Toshiba MK4018GAP 40GB Primary Master.

Quest 1: Boots up, then goes to WindXP Home opening screen and then posts msq re FAT32 and hard drive consistency. Is hard drive bad or can something be done about it?

Quest 2: If hard drive is bad, how the heck do I open the case to get in to change it with a new hard drive?

Could really use some help. Thanks.

Relevancy 61.49%

Hi all I just installed new hard drive as I though it was going out since it never stopped read writing After multiple fresh installs and disabling some of the non-essential stuff my computer Drive accessing stop Won't Hard once again has crawled to a snail s pace This is not even a year old and I have a -core processor and gigs of ram More than enough for what I need it to do Here is a Hijack This report Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Unknown Windows WinNT SP MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files AVAST Software Avast AvastUI exe C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Hard Drive Won't stop accessing Windows SysWOW RunDll exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BluetoothHeadsetProxy exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Windows SysWOW Macromed Flash FlashPlayerPlugin exe C Windows SysWOW Macromed Flash FlashPlayerPlugin exe C Program Files x Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page Hard Drive Won't stop accessing http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Hard Drive Won't stop accessing Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO avast WebRep - E E -AD D- bf-AC D-D F D - C Program Files AVAST Software Avast aswWebRepIE dll O - Toolbar avast WebRep - E E -AD D- bf-AC D-D F D - C Program Files AVAST Software Avast aswWebRepIE dll O - HKLM Run StartCCC quot C Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CLIStart exe quot MSRun O - HKLM Run QLBController C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP HotKey Support QLBController exe start O - HKLM Run avast quot C Program Files AVAST Software Avast avastUI exe quot nogui O - HKLM Run AdobeCS ServiceManager quot C Program Files x Common Files Adobe CS ServiceManager CS ServiceManager exe quot -launchedbylogin O - HKLM Run Adobe ARM quot C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe quot O - HKLM Run APSDaemon quot C Program Files x Common Files Apple Apple Application Support APSDaemon exe quot O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKUS S- - - Run Sidebar ProgramFiles Windows Sidebar Sidebar exe autoRun User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce mctadmin C Windows System mctadmin exe User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - Run Sidebar ProgramFiles Windows Sidebar Sidebar exe autoRun User NETWORK SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce mctadmin C Windows System mctadmin exe User NETWORK SERVICE O - Global Startup Bluetooth lnk O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra context menu item Send image to amp Bluetooth Device - C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software btsendto ie ctx htm O - Extra context menu item Send page to amp Bluetooth Device - C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software btsendto ie htm O - Extra button Send to OneNote - A- - f c- - EE C C - C PROGRA MICROS O... Read more

A:Hard Drive Won't stop accessing

Use Task Manager and check the cpu usage. You can also check which process is using the most cpu (assuming the cpu usage is high).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-wont-stop-accessing.1057740/
Relevancy 61.49%

I alwasy start these things with sorry if it s in the wrong place because I really don t understand most forums to be fair so once again my apologies if it is but any way I have a computer which crashed and I can get to the screen where I can log in but hard accessing another computers drive? there is no longer any user profiles for accessing another computers hard drive? me to log into and an error message said about the drive being damaged so I was wondering the computer still works it s just the drive doesn t so is there any way to access this computer through my laptop and take a look at the hard drive through accessing another computers hard drive? there to see if there is anything I can recover the only part im struggling with really is connecting the computers so I can explore the hard drive is this simple even if it s a case of there is no chance of recovering anything then still is it possible to do this as it might come in handy in the future any way although one last thing I must say is there any way of doing it without removing the hard drive as that is why im asking here as iv not found any method that means I don t have to take the computer apart thanks for ya help nbsp

A:accessing another computers hard drive?

Try this boot disc: Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows It should allow you access to the drive and to back up any important data to DVD's or an external drive as long as the hard drive is not completely inoperative.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-another-computers-hard-drive.1027168/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hello guys, my bios does not support my hard disk "quantum fireball", How i can detect it, infact partition system of my hard disk has been damaged, or is there a way that i can repair it.
thanks.

A:accessing hard drive through bios

Go here http://www.maxtor.com/en/index.htm and d/load the diognostic and repair tools for your drive.Maxtor has the tools for Quantum drives. Go into bios and in the cmos setup you can change your drive detection to auto, save and exit, and see if it detects the drive then.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-hard-drive-through-bios.224856/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi folks,

My laptop recently died, and I'd like to salvage some information off the hard drive. I was planning to put the HD in an external HD case and connect it to another computer, but the laptop HD seems to have some different kind of power connection. Seems like it does have SATA. What kind of cord would I need to power the HD in this external enclosure? Is there anything special I should know about these laptop HDs?

This is the hard drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145119

Thanks!
Doctor Kazefa

A:Accessing laptop hard drive

It should just be the sata power connector, does it look like a larger version of the sata connector?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-laptop-hard-drive.974375/
Relevancy 61.49%

My old computer was put to rest with a big power surge last week I had to buy a new computer and now I would like to access my old files I have taken the hard drive out of my old PC My new PC of course has windows I am not a computer expert but I am not a Hard on Drive file Old Accessing novice either The old hard drive has the sata connection and I have a sata cable but have never used one previously I connected the cable to the old hard drive and then plugged in the power cord to the wall outlet I then I connected the USB cable from the sata Accessing file on Old Hard Drive cable connected to my Accessing file on Old Hard Drive old drive to my new PC s USB port I haven't been able to access the files on the old drive but I know my new pc has recognized the hardware After I connected the USB cable to my new pc under Devices I can see a hardware named USB to ATA ATAPI Bridge Not sure what that means There is No drive listed for it though when I open Windows Explorer I can only see the OS C drive and the HP Recovery D drive Any help on how to access my old files would be greatly appreciated

A:Accessing file on Old Hard Drive

Quote: Originally Posted by eddie57

The old hard drive has the sata connection and I have a sata cable, but have never used one previously. I connected the cable to the old hard drive and then plugged in the power cord to the wall outlet. I then I connected the USB cable from the sata cable connected to my old drive to my new PC’s USB port.

That last sentence seems incomplete.

"I then connected the USB cable from the SATA cable connected to my old drive to my new PC's USB port."

Do you mean that your old drive had BOTH a SATA connector as well as a USB connector? This was an internal drive in your old machine before it died?

Do you mean you used some kind of SATA-to-USB adapter cable, going from SATA connector on the drive to USB and then into a USB socket on the new PC?

Are you planning on adding this drive from the old machine as a second internal hard drive on the new machine? You can certainly do that very easily (it just needs a power cable connection and a data cable connection, and an available slot in your internal hard drive cage).

If this was a SATA drive and was in your old machine as a SATA drive then it had a SATA cable and a SATA power connector cable. You should use a SATA cable and connect it to an available SATA connector on the new machine's motherboard.

I still don't understand how USB enters the story. Please clarify. If it was a USB drive on the old machine, it can certainly be a USB drive on the new machine... but these are generally external drives, not internal drives.

As I said above, installing the drive as a second internal SATA drive on your new machine is simple, assuming you have an available SATA connector on the motherboard, a SATA data cable, a SATA power connector, and a free slot in the drive cage.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/156673-accessing-file-old-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Here's my hijack this log I can't pin down what's constantly accessing the hard drive I did defrag it Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS Hard drive accessing constantly System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services Hard drive constantly accessing exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system brsvc a exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS system brss a exeC Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrcSrv exeC WINDOWS system Brmfrmps exeC WINDOWS system CTsvcCDA EXEC WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exeC WINDOWS eHome ehSched exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVCOMSER LVComSer exeC WINDOWS system srvany exeC pvsw bin w dbsmgr exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system dllhost exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVCOMSER LVComSer exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXEC Program Files Digital Media Reader readericon G exeC Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort pptd nt exeC Program Files Brother ControlCenter brctrcen exeC Program Files BillP Studios WinPatrol winpatrol exeC Program Files Creative MediaSource Detector CTDetect exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Documents and Settings Owner Desktop HiJackThis exeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Windows Internet Explorer provided by ComcastR - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localO - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - Toolbar Easy Gif Animator Toolbar - - - A -B -FC E - C Program Files Easy Gif Animator Extension v EasyGifAnimator Toolbar dll file missing O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll file missing O - HKLM Run RTHDCPL RTHDCPL EXEO - HKLM Run readericon C Program Files Digital Media Reader readericon G exeO - HKLM Run PaperPort PTD C Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort pptd nt exeO - HKLM Run ControlCenter C Program Files Brother ControlCenter brctrcen exe autorunO - HKLM Run Alcmtr ALCMTR EXEO - HKLM Run WinPatrol C Program Files BillP Studios WinPatrol winpatrol exe -expressbootO - HKLM RunOnce OOBEDDDemise cmd x c erase C WINDOWS System oobe msoobe exeO - HKCU Run Creative Detector C Program Files Creative MediaSource Detector CTDetect exe RO - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exeO - HKCU RunOnce CheckNetworkConnection quot C Program Files Support com providerComcast desktopdoctor exe quot flow flow diagnosenetwork trayclick true haveconfirmedwiring true haverenewed true haverestartedmodem true onrestart true havehealed true issuenumber e - b - e - e - e aa e eebcO - HKUS S- - - Run Power GoExpress NA User 'SYSTEM' O - HKUS DEFAULT Run Power GoExpress NA User 'Default user' O - Startup IMVU lnk C Program Files IMVU IMVUClient exeO - Global Startup Status Monitor lnk C Program Files Brother Brmfcmon BrMfcWnd exeO - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - Extra button Research - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE REFIEBAR DLLO - Extra button Real com - CD F -D E - d - FE- C F AFE - C WINDOWS system Shdocvw dllO - Extra button Run IMVU ... Read more

A:Hard drive constantly accessing

Figured out the problem. Windows Media Player has some sort of setting to share files with an XBOX 360, which is also on the network. What a pain. Turned off that sharing feature in WMP, and all is well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/190148/hard-drive-constantly-accessing/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hey everyone.

I have a problem. Basically my computer has 2 hard-drives, the HDD I'm currently using has Windows 7 (which I only recently got), the other has Windows XP installed on it, which has loads of files and stuff left on it. Now my problem is, I can access my old hard-drive from this one, however everytime I try to open a folder or anything I have to manually set permissions for just that one folder/file. Now I have a huge amount of files and folders on there, so it would take my weeks to manually set permissions for all of it. I also cannot copy and paste the folders/files from my old HDD to my new one.

My question is essentially is there an easy way to set permission that will affect ALL the folders and files in my old HDD?

Thanks for your time. Any help is appreciated.

A:Accessing files on old Hard-Drive.

Go to the Documents and Settings folder on the XP drive (from within Windows 7)
Right click on the Documents and Settings folder and select Properties
Then select the Security tab
Then select the Advanced button
Then select the Owner tab
Then select the Edit button

Change the owner to you
THEN place a checkmark in the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box. Let it run until done.
Then click Apply, then click OK repeatedly to exit the dialog

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/accessing-files-on-old-hard-drive-525421.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I think my problem to most likely be a relatively simple one. I have a desktop (Using it right now) with a hard drive, 7 etc etc and everything works fine. I am however having issues accessing a hard drive from an old lap top I used to own. It was sold, but I kept the hard drive. This was a while ago so I can't remember its OS, but I'm pretty sure it was XP but possibly vista. I have plugged it into one of my towers extra hard drive spots in hopes of being able to retrieve some old pictures from it.

This is my problem: After reboot, it got a message saying the usual installing device driver software thing, after that... nothing. I look in my computer and no new drive showed up. Anybody know what to do?

A:Problem Accessing My Old Hard Drive

Go to Start Orb -> right click "Computer" -> choose "Manage"
Then, go to Disk Mangement.

You will see on the right, your usual hard drive and your optical storage drive. If your old hard drive is detected, you will see it there. If it is, right click then give it its own drive access letter. Then, it'll show up in Computer just fine

If it isn't... well, there's a problem with the hard drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/230460-problem-accessing-my-old-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I recently installed Norton AntiVirus. It found a Magistr virus in one of my email files. It reported that it had removed the virus. However, in the last several days I've heard something accessing my hard drive on an ongoing basis. I can't figure out what it is. I looked at running programs with CTRL+ALT+DEL. They seem normal. Things like: Rnaapp, Systray, Mixer, Directcd, Navapw32, Conmgr, Ptsnoop, and Explorer. Is there some other place I could look. I disabled Auto-Protect to see if that was it - NO. Does anyone have any other ideas of what it could be or where to look to find it?

THANKS
slider14

Relevancy 61.49%

even when idle Sounds like it s working even if I am Machine hard keeps accessing drive not doing anything I would be thrilled to get this machine back to fighting trim Any Machine keeps accessing hard drive and all help welcome Thank you Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe Machine keeps accessing hard drive C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS System ibmpmsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS System Ati evxx exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C Program Files ewido anti-malware ewidoctrl exe c program files mcafee com agent mcdetect exe c PROGRA mcafee com vso mcshield exe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mctskshd exe C WINDOWS System QCONSVC EXE C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Efficient Networks Tango Manager app TangoService exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system atiptaxx exe C WINDOWS system ltmsg exe C WINDOWS system tp mon exe C PROGRA ThinkPad UTILIT TP TRAY EXE C PROGRA ThinkPad PkgMgr HOTKEY TPHKMGR exe C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files McAfee com VSO mcvsshld exe C PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exe C WINDOWS System taskswitch exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Java jre bin jucheck exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C Program Files McAfee com VSO oasclnt exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe C Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeper exe C Documents and Settings David My Documents Downloads FreeRAM XP Pro exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files ThinkPad PkgMgr HOTKEY TPONSCR exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger ymsgr tray exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings David My Documents Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - daa d - c- c- ca- fe f a - C WINDOWS system qdaa dll O - Toolbar McAfee VirusScan - BA B -B - c -B - F F - c progra mcafee com vso mcvsshl dll O - HKLM Run ATIModeChange Ati mdxx exe O - HKLM Run AtiPTA atiptaxx exe O - HKLM Run LTWinModem ltmsg exe O - HKLM Run TrackPointSrv tp mon exe O - HKLM Run TPTRAY C PROGRA ThinkPad UTILIT TP TRAY EXE O - HKLM Run TP EX tp ex exe O - HKLM Run TPHOTKEY C PROGRA ThinkPad PkgMgr HOTKEY TPHKMGR exe O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run VSOCheckTask quot C PROGRA McAfee com VSO mcmnhdlr exe quot checktask O - HKLM Run VirusScan Online C Program Files McAfee com VSO mcvsshld exe O - HKLM Run MCAgentExe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exe O - HKLM Run MCUpdateExe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mcupdate exe O - HKLM Run ISLP STA EXE ISLP STA EXE START O - HKLM Run CoolSwitch C WINDOWS System taskswitch exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe O - HKLM Run Zone Labs Client C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe O - HKLM Run OASClnt C Program Files McAfee com VSO oasclnt exe O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe STARTUP O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKCU Run SpySweeper C Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeper exe O - HKCU Run FreeRAM XP quot C Documents and Settings David My Documents Downloads FreeRAM ... Read more

Relevancy 61.49%

Hi everyone!
Ok I'll admit I am technologically challenged.
I have a question about accessing my desktop pc's hard drive from my laptop.
I have a Gateway desktop pc, Windows XP, just a regular home pc. I have a dsl connection. I have a wireless router thingie by Linksys so I can use the internet on my laptop anywhere in my house. My laptop has pretty much the same specs as the desktop but it's an older laptop, a compaq x6000 or something.

I would like to know if it's possible to access my desktop's hard drive using my laptop. Is this a silly question? Can I do it wirelessly? Or do I have to hook up cables & stuff?

Thanks so much!

Relevancy 61.49%

Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS Program Hard Drive Accessing System smss exeC WINDOWS system csrss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security TPSrv exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security pavsrv exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security AVENGINE EXEC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exec program files panda software panda platinum internet security firewall PNMSRV EXEC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files APC APC PowerChute Personal Edition mainserv exeC WINDOWS System Program Accessing Hard Drive drivers CDAC BA EXEC WINDOWS System cisvc exeC WINDOWS System CTsvcCDA EXEC PROGRA Iomega System AppServices exeC WINDOWS System nvsvc exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security PavFnSvr exeC Program Files Common Files Panda Software PavShld pavprsrv exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security AntiSpam pskmssvc exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security psimsvc exeC Program Files Spyware Doctor sdhelp exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system wdfmgr exeC Program Files Iomega AutoDisk ADService exeC WINDOWS System alg exeC WINDOWS system devldr exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security apvxdwin exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security SRVLOAD EXEC Program Files QuickTime qttask exeC Program Files MUSICMATCH MUSICMATCH Jukebox mmtask exeC Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exeC Program Files Iomega AutoDisk ADUserMon exeC Program Files Iomega DriveIcons ImgIcon exeC Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync WCESCOMM EXEC Program Files Spyware Doctor swdoctor exeC Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader reader sl exeC Program Files D-Link AirPlus AirPlus exeC Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exeC Program Files Hewlett-Packard AiO hp officejet k series Bin hpoorn exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared wkcalrem exeC Program Files APC APC PowerChute Personal Edition systray exeC Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasDtServ exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security WebProxy exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC PROGRA HEWLET AiO Shared Bin hpoevm exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security avciman exeC WINDOWS system hpoipm exeC WINDOWS System wbem wmiprvse exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security psimreal exeC Program Files Hewlett-Packard AiO Shared bin hpOSTS exeC Program Files Hewlett-Packard AiO Shared bin hpOFXM exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC PROGRA WINZIP winzip exeC Documents and Settings Daniel F King Local Settings Temp HijackThis exeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL about blankR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page about blankR - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride R - Default URLSearchHook is missingO - Hosts O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dllO - BHO PCTools Site Guard - C B A - DB - A -A CB-D BBFEB - C PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdsg dllO - BHO PCTools Browser Monitor - B A D D- - C -A - DF C AC - C PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdpb dllO - HKLM Run UpdReg C WINDOWS Updreg exeO - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboot... Read more

A:Program Accessing Hard Drive

Hi,

Sorry for this delay. Please post a fresh log if you still have this problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40273/program-accessing-hard-drive/
Relevancy 61.49%

my brother in law has an e-machines pc running xp home with an amd cpu. the graphics circuit on the motherboard went bad and installing a video card won't solve the problem. i would like to know if i can swap the hard drive from the amd pc into his new e-machines pc running xp home with an intel cpu in order to copy some data off the drive. i would rather not go the master,slave route so as to not change the drive letter designations. will the intel pc recognize the hard drive from an amd pc?

thanks
dave

Relevancy 61.49%

I need an external hard drive for taking regular backups of all of my data.
When i searched the internet I got two options:
1. Porable HDD [high cost, slower speed but don't need external power]
2. Desktop HDD [low cost, higher speed but need external power]

I want to know that...
1. Which hard disk's live longer? Porable or Desktop.
2. I heared that pulling off USB cable of Portable HDD may cause data lose because it also supplies power to hdd.
What will happpen if Power goes off from Desktop HDD? Will my data/Hard disk remain protected?
3. Level of safety of data on moving or shaking on both Desktop and Portable HDD.
4. Can we install os and boot from portable and desktop external hdd?

A:Need Advice : External Desktop Hard drive vs Portable Hard drive?

Unless you really need to go portable with a Laptop .. I'd not use a USB powered External.
You cannot boot from a USB External .. But there's another option if you're capable of physically changing HDDs ..

Get a good external Enclosure (with a fan for cooling) .. Install a good HDD ... with a 5 year warranty
and make the HDD in the enclosure a bootable backup .. where you could swap HDDs if/when needed ..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-advice-external-desktop-hard-drive-vs-portable-hard-drive.988810/
Relevancy 61.49%

I recently formatted my c drive and now i am reinstalling all the software. I keep all the setups of software in my external hard drive. For installing the software I coy the setup folder of the required software on my laptop, then install it.

Is straightaway installing the software by accessing the external hard drive okay? Does it make any difference in the installation time or any reduction in life of hard disk performance.

Or should I always install through my laptop hard drive?

I am running windows 8.1 pro

A:installation software from external hard drive or internal hard drive

Your method is as good as any. If it works, keep doing it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/installation-software-from-external-hard-drive-or-internal-hard-drive-1056962.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi everyone I have a Dell Dimension E running Windows XP SP The external installing found drive: 556s, Trouble not DVD drive DVD HP internal dvd drive does not work - Trouble installing external DVD drive: HP DVD 556s, drive not found was last replaced in shortly after buying the computer Its issue is we put in a CD and nothing happens So I just bought an external dvd drive the HP dvd s so that I Trouble installing external DVD drive: HP DVD 556s, drive not found can play a game I hooked up the drive - the power indicator is blue which means it s drawing sufficient power from the USB port to run - and then popped in the installation CD Installation did not autorun so I went to My Computer The drive is not showing My Computer shows removable drives F-J and when I click on all of them it says quot please insert a disk into the drive quot I m not sure what each of these drives is for - it s not my computer - but they all are still present even when the DVD drive is unplugged so they can t be that The USB port works - I plugged in a wireless mouse and a webcam both of which work into the drive and they still worked The dvd drive says it is pulling sufficient power - the blue light is on which the manual says is good to go When I pop in the install cd it seems to spin briefly hard to tell it is a quiet drive but nothing pops up on screen I tried my game CD as well and of course nothing happened Now when I plugged in the wireless mouse to that same port My Computer showed it up as drive L Once I removed it drive L disappeared I m not quite sure what this means only that the new DVD drive does not seem to be recognized by the computer I plugged it into other working ports and nada I took the drive to Best Buy and they plugged it in and it worked for them They let me swap it for an identical drive anyway but the new drive STILL is not recognized How can I get the computer to recognize the drive so I can install the software Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-installing-external-dvd-drive-hp-dvd-556s-drive-not-found.889663/
Relevancy 61.06%

Looking to buy an external hard drive for backup. This will be used only to backup data periodically. This is certainly a good price ($140):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1474205

I've never heard of it. Anyone have any experience with that brand?

A:Opinions on BeyondMicro External Hard Drive?-or recommendations on External Case?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/opinions-on-beyondmicro-external-hard-drive-or-recommendations-on-external-case.381320/
Relevancy 61.06%

My computer has been sporadically crashing to blue screens due to an incompatible driver or drivers so I tried removing two questionable drivers from the driver folder drvmcdb sys drvnddm sys Now when it attempts to boot the operating Accessing no boot a OS the situation hard drive in system at startup we hit another blue screen and the operating system won t load This blue screen reports Stop x B xC x x This is the Microsoft troubleshooting article for this stop in case anyone s interested http support microsoft com default aspx scid kb en-us XSLTH It is clearly because I removed these drivers that the computer won t boot So in order to fix the device driver problem Accessing the hard drive in a no OS boot situation I ll first have to get the operating system running which means I must put the drivers back in place I backed them up on the hard drive So here comes my real question disregarding compatibility issues which originally led to this boot problem How can I access those drivers I backed up on the hard drive and put them Accessing the hard drive in a no OS boot situation back in the driver folder without booting up Windows XP Does a boot disc have the utilities to do this Is there some way of doing this through the BIOS Is there an operating system or something that I can run off of a floppy disc or compact disc which won t require any installation that I can use to move these files Maybe at a later date I ll create a thread addressing the driver incompatibility issue that I have but for now I m only concerned with putting those drivers back in their place so I can get to the next step Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 61.06%

Just like a pulse my computer keeps accessing the hard drive I can tell this as it makes the usual clicking noise the cursor flashes up the timer and the HDD light flashes This happens about every second I have no idea why this is accessing hard drive? Computer continually happening and it s driving me crazy Here is my HijackThis log Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccProxy exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Symantec Computer continually accessing hard drive? LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exe C WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe c Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Console NSCSRVCE EXE C Program Files Vongo VongoService exe C WINDOWS system mqsvc exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqwmiex exe C WINDOWS system mqtgsvc exe C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUNOTIFY EXE C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Documents and Settings Graham Desktop HiJackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN US amp c Q amp bd pavilion amp pf laptop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN US amp c Q amp bd pavilion amp pf laptop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN US amp c Q amp bd pavilion amp pf laptop O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO NAV Helper - A F D D-E - D -B A - BB FDD - c Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - C E A- F - E-B E- B - c Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run ALUAlert C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUNOTIFY EXE O - HKCU Run msnmsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe quot background O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run swg C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe O - DEFAULT User Startup Vongo Tray lnk C Program Files Vongo Tray exe User Default user O - Global Startup iTunes O - Global Startup QuickTime O - Global Startup Roxio O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE EXCEL EXE O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra button Research - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE REFIEB... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-continually-accessing-hard-drive.598900/
Relevancy 61.06%

So I have a laptop that will no longer power on and I just want to get all of my pictures/music/writing off the hard drive and onto my desktop or external hard drive. How do I go about this? Can I just open the laptop up, remove the hard drive, open up my desktop and plug it in?

A:Accessing the hard drive on a broken laptop

As long as it's a SATA HDD, and you have a spare SATA data cable / SATA power cable from your PSU, then yes you can just plug it into your desktop, boot off of your normal HDD, and access the files/folders. You may have take ownership of the files/folders of the C:\Users directory: Take Ownership of a File or Folder

If not, then you would have to get an external USB enclosure for your laptop HDD (2.5" size).

http://www.techist.com/forums/f155/accessing-hard-drive-broken-laptop-270587/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hey all, I just picked up a 1.5TB Hard drive. Formatted it made it a primary partition and used the entire drive as a single drive. I am on Vista. Now when I access the hard drive there is about a 5-10 second pause before it access the hard drive and there is an audible click from the drive. Did I make the partition too big? Should I split it? or is there something wrong with me new drive? I did a Windows Hard Drive Scan on it and it came back with no errors as well.

A:System Pauses after accessing new hard drive.

Go to the drive manufacturer's web site and download their drive test utility. Run a test on the drive. Some second-rate drive companies don't have the testing utilities. I hope yours does.

The "click" you describe worries me. Could be what we know as "the click of death", meaning the drive could be failing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-pauses-after-accessing-new-hard-drive.789933/
Relevancy 61.06%

I connected two computers using a switch. I can access the 2nd computer by typing \\ipaddress. I login as the primary user (admin access) of the other machine and the root folder is users. I can drill down and view all files. Problem is that I wish to be able to navigate to D drive of that machine but I can't because highest folder level is users ?

A:Accessing 2nd hard drive of networked computer

Quote: Originally Posted by jmsnyc

I connected two computers using a switch. I can access the 2nd computer by typing \\ipaddress. I login as the primary user (admin access) of the other machine and the root folder is users. I can drill down and view all files. Problem is that I wish to be able to navigate to D drive of that machine but I can't because highest folder level is users ?

To access the root of the drive you would need to go into D: >properties> Security tab> Edit button > Add check marks for the required permissions for the Authenticated User, Apply, OK etc.

You would also need to allow for sharing of the D drive through the Sharing tab> Advanced Sharing button, click the box to share the drive then hit the Permissions button, add check marks to the Everyone share, hit apply etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/316264-accessing-2nd-hard-drive-networked-computer.html
Relevancy 61.06%

My IBM Thinkcentre Windows XP crashed and when I tried to repair XP it basically installed a brand new version of the OS partition. So now I cannot access files such as pics, music etc from hard drive.

Thanks in advance!

A:Problem Accessing Data from Hard Drive

At this point, do as little as you can from that computer. You can probably still recover these files. Download a free program like Recuva and run a scan on that hard drive to try and recover those files. You may have to mount the hard drive in another computer and run the scan from a different Windows OS. Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-accessing-data-from-hard-drive.995407/
Relevancy 61.06%

I got computer an drive another USB via Accessing on hard internal these cables that came in a white box The box just has quot PCABUSBX quot written on it Accessing an internal hard drive on another computer via USB No instructions or CD or anything I recall it was quite cheap I was able to use this years ago to help a neighbor access files from their old computer that they couldn t get on anymore I use the power cable and hook it into the hard drive I can hear the hard drive come on and start spinning Next I attach the USB adapter to the hard drive then plug into my computers USB It installs a driver for the adapter and says it finished installing At this point I don t know where to go from It doesn t list any new devices or drives in My Computer I can hear the hard drive spinning and when Accessing an internal hard drive on another computer via USB I plug the USB into computer it makes a little noise notifying me but nothing else happens Am I not doing something correctly EDIT Could it be an Accessing an internal hard drive on another computer via USB OS compatibility issue on the driver It says quot Supports Windows ME XP Vista and Mac OS quot -- I m on Windows nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-an-internal-hard-drive-on-another-computer-via-usb.1169736/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello I've just built a new PC which is running windows 7 ultimate all my music files are on my old internal hard drive which was running xp. When i try access my music files its tell me i don't have permission i can gain control of the folders individually but can not move or play the files. Any help would be much appreciated.

A:[SOLVED] Accessing Interanal Hard Drive

Have you done this,

Right click on the old HDD, go to the security tabs, click on advanced, then click on the owner tab, from the owner list, choose administrator and click ok

And see if you can open your files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-accessing-interanal-hard-drive-618661.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I recently purchased a USB hard drive enclosure for my old laptop's hard drive, and I am now trying to access the data on it from my new computer. When I plug the hard drive into the USB port, it does not show up in 'my computer.' It does show up under disk management, however, and it gives me the option of 'initializing' it. I am afraid doing this will format the disk and erase the data, which I don't want to do. I simply want to be able to browse the files from my old hard drive. Any suggestions as to how I should proceed? Thank you.

A:hard drive enclosure--accessing data

My new computer is a Dell Studio laptop running windows vista. The hard drive is from a Toshiba Satellite running windows xp. The hard drive enclosure is an I/O Magic 2.0 enclosure. It did not come with any software. Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-enclosure-accessing-data.815977/
Relevancy 61.06%

I am trying to access my personal files from an internal Hard Drive in which I removed files an internal from Accessing old Hard Drive from a computer of mine which stopped working This computer was using Windows XP Professional The computer I am using now uses Windows I removed the hard drive from the failed computer and tried connecting it to my present computer using a USB To IDE SATA Cable but I am always asked to initialize the disk I have doubts about doing this as I think this will wipe the hard drive clean I did however backup my personal files using Microsoft Backup before my failed computer stopped working I downloaded and installed the Restore Utility for Windows from Accessing files from an old internal Hard Drive Microsoft on my present computer and tried restoring my backup but I keep getting the message 'This media has been secured You do not have the proper privileges ' I think that this is because I protected my backup with a password I would appreciate any help in solving my problem

A:Accessing files from an old internal Hard Drive

Is your old drive IDE or SATA?
On your new Motherboard do you have both IDE and SATA Ports?
You should be able to connect old drive to new mobo

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/90917-accessing-files-old-internal-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I am getting the error windows cannot access \\CHRS_LAPTOP\laptop harddrive

What is going on, I set the sharing preferences so no password is needed to access the hard drive and everyone can access it. This worked in windows 7 and 8.1, what changed in windows 10?

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/59693-accessing-hard-drive-laptop-desktop.html