Windows Support Forum

Cannot access properties in "local area connection properties" window

Q: Cannot access properties in "local area connection properties" window

Hello Im using vista ultimate x When i access the local area connection window where all the TCP IPv and TCP IPv are I am unable to click on properties on any of them yes i am the administartor By other words i am unable too access the window where you can change the quot Obtain an ip adress automatically quot and access window area "local properties" in properties Cannot connection quot obtain dns server address automatically quot options are When i sellect TCP IPv or Cannot access properties in "local area connection properties" window TCP IPv the properties button is just gray As is the unnistall button When i hit the configure button i just get sendt back too the desktop I am also unable to uncheck the TCP IPv or TCP IPv boxes on the left side of the names or any of the other stuff If I hit the install button and try too install i new protocoll i only get a error message saying quot windows cannot find the file quot Iv e also tried it jusing the administrator account But it didn t help What is causing this problem and how I fix it Thanks in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-properties-in-local-area-connection-properties-window.636065/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Cannot access properties in "local area connection properties" window

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 18.92%

I have a HP Pavilion laptop that was able to connect via wifi, or ethernet, just fine until I recently upgraded it to Windows 10. The problem did not start right away, but could be associated with my security software (bitdefender). The laptop does recognize the router, but when I look into the settings I see that there is no connectivity in the IPv4 or IPv6.

Please let me know if additional info is needed to further diagnose this problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-internet-connection-on-laptop.217570/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hello, I'll try to be as clear as I can.

I have my computer hooked up to my router with an Ethernet cable. About an hour ago the Limited sign popped up. With the cable connected it says Limited, but I can freely use the internet. When I take the cable out, under connections it still only says "Ethernet Limited" and I can't use the internet. I'm not sure about any specs to my comp. All I know Is I'm using windows 8 and it's from Toshiba. I know it's not much to go on, but I'm losing my mind and any help would be wonderful. Thank you.

This picture is how it looks when the cable is, and isn't, plugged in.

A:Limited Access with Ethernet, even when not connected

With the cable pulled out, the picture is correct (for a wired Lan Connection).
When it is attached AND you have access to the Internet, it should not be limited.
SO, get a command prompt ( start->run and enter CMD ) and enter

IPCONFIG /ALL >myTCP.txt
then NOTEPAD myTCP.txt
copy the contents and PASTE that as your follow-up

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-access-with-ethernet-even-when-not-connected.217393/
Relevancy 51.6%

I just solved my own problem and thought others might benefit since I could not find the solution using internet search My Realtek HD Audio manager seemed to be creating an echo on my quot Line In quot HD Audio Realtek "line from effect) (if in" echo it Removing output sound not a is audio signal I had already set the environment and equalizer sound effects options to lt None gt but the echo persisted I found the problem seems that I was essentially duplicating the Removing "line in" echo from Realtek HD Audio output (if it is not a sound effect) Line In audio stream The first quot source quot I found was the HD Audio manager You can open the manager and view the Line In tab - mine had a non-zero playback volume the slider was NOT all the way to Removing "line in" echo from Realtek HD Audio output (if it is not a sound effect) the left for zero playback If you want Removing "line in" echo from Realtek HD Audio output (if it is not a sound effect) output from the HD Manager that makes sense I also found out a second Line In quot source quot It was in the Line In properties settings where I had checked off the option to quot Listen to this device quot When I disabled that the echo disappeared To view this Line In properties tab right-click on the speaker icon in the notification area then select Recording Devices yes quot Recording quot Then the tab will display in a window with the title Sound You should see the Line In device in the list Right-click on this item and select Properties The Line In properties window pops up Then select the Listen tab UNselect Listen to this device The echo should disappear if you re experiencing my problem I hope this helps someone I m just trying to help the community from which I ve received so much help grinthumb nbsp

A:Removing "line in" echo from Realtek HD Audio output (if it is not a sound effect)

Two same signals

You're doing the right thing... getting rid of the other input signal.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/removing-line-in-echo-from-realtek-hd-audio-output-if-it-is-not-a-sound-effect.178881/
Relevancy 44.29%

I have a choice to make on a new monitor.

It needs to be VESA mountable and will be for strategy gaming and work purposes. Games like Wargame, Supreme Commander and World of Tanks. I work as a sysadmin so think lots of windows open!

Do I get a 24" monitor like this Benq (recommendations on a different one are welcome)

Or do I get a 27" monitor. If you think 27" what res would you recommend baring in mind I am sporting a 760gtx.

Thanks,

A:24" monitor or 27"

I think 1080P is the best bet for your GTX 760. 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 (27 inch panels) might be a bit too much. It is really personal preference whether you weant a 24 inch or a 27 inch. There are 1080P monitors in both sizes. I recommend Dell, BenQ, ASUS, Samsung, and ACER monitors. There are some other good ones, but I cant think of them off the top of my head.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/24-monitor-or-27.201808/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hey there all.

This problem just happened recently. Every time I put a blank CD in my CD drive, a message appears saying "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function. I can watch DVDs but it won't recognize any blank CDs I put.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance.

A:Drive is not accessible - "incorrect function"

First try this from the Windows Explorer after you have inserted a disc.

Right-Click on E: drive

Select Properties from the pop up menu

Select the Recording Tab

then check the "Enable CD Recording On This Drive" box.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/drive-is-not-accessible-incorrect-function.166087/
Relevancy 18.92%

For about the past month or so, my W7 tower on DSL occasionally loses its connection to the internet so I right click the the icon in the notification area & click trouble shoot & it reconnects yet my iPhone & Ipad remain online no problem.
Why?

A:Intermittent DSL connection problems

Clearly the router is doing find and the activity on W7 IS THE ISSUE.
Examine carefully what was active when the connection was lost.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intermittent-dsl-connection-problems.207951/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have scoured the from computer, sounds" can speakers "computing my hear my through I internet for a solution to this and have found nothing First my dxdiag is attached I have had this issue for over a year now and I am getting fed up If I put my ear to my pc I can hear computer noises coming from it I can not compare it to another sound as there is nothing else to compare it too it just sounds like my CPU or Hard Drive thinking That doesnt bother me though I expect my computer to make some noise HOWEVER I dont expect to hear it in my speakers too I have a lot of speakers and a lot of headphones no they are not I can hear "computing sounds" from my computer, through my speakers the problem Right now I am using a knappenberger tube hooked up to a GK MB just cuz I can When I plug in any speakers I can hear the CPU sound through them regardless of the volume level I can turn the speaker all the way down and yet the sound will come through This leads me to believe I can hear "computing sounds" from my computer, through my speakers it is a grounding issue or electrical to some degree I would like to try physically grounding my case to see if it would eliminate this God awful feedback However I can not find a guide as to I can hear "computing sounds" from my computer, through my speakers the best way to do this or any other suggestions So here I am Help me and earn my eternal gratitude Some notes If I unplug all of my cables except power and the speaker cable I still hear it if I plug in my speaker cable to my monitor instead of my PC I still hear it Front port still hear it I have yet to try a different sound card as I dont have one Once I find one I will update nbsp

A:I can hear "computing sounds" from my computer, through my speakers

Checked some settings in the Bios, noticed the sound isnt there while navigating it. Static started once windows loaded. Maybe it is some sort of issue with the hard drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-can-hear-computing-sounds-from-my-computer-through-my-speakers.202182/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have a desktop computer that is running on Windows Xp, up until this morning, everything was fine, I could connect to the internet with no problem.

I turned on my computer, and it is telling me that the network cable is unplugged, as well as my network is not showing when i go to "my network connections"

But yet.....

I AM connected to my router, and there is no problem with the cord (I tried it on different computers as well as my Xbox 360 on the same port....so I know its not the router)....when I go into device manager, everything seems to be working correctly, and my network adapter and ethernet card both are marked as working properly.

Any ideas how I can fix this issue ?

A:"Network cable is unplugged" but its really not..

sadgyrl514 said:

I have a desktop computer that is running on Windows Xp, up until this morning, everything was fine, I could connect to the internet with no problem.

I turned on my computer, and it is telling me that the network cable is unplugged, as well as my network is not showing when i go to "my network connections"

But yet.....

I AM connected to my router, and there is no problem with the cord (I tried it on different computers as well as my Xbox 360 on the same port....so I know its not the router)....when I go into device manager, everything seems to be working correctly, and my network adapter and ethernet card both are marked as working properly.

Any ideas how I can fix this issue ?Click to expand...

Try rebooting,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-cable-is-unplugged-but-its-really-not.166539/
Relevancy 21.93%

Neither my keyboard or mouse are working on any of the 7 USB ports on my computer. My mouse was initially working, but I read somewhere if you delete the keyboard drivers you can reinstall them and it will work again. BUT when I was doing that I stupidly uninstalled my mouse driver so now NOTHING works. I can't try if it works in safe mode because my keyboard doesn't respond when I hit f12 during boot up.

When I plug in the mouse or keyboard, I get a window that pops up asking if I want to install the hardware, but it's impossible for me to do anything because my mouse and keyboard don't work! If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!

A:My Dell Demension e510's (Window's XP) keyboard and mouse don't work

First I would try to find a different working keyboard because you should at less be able to boot into safe mode because the drivers don't even load until windows start loading.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dell-demension-e510s-windows-xp-keyboard-and-mouse-dont-work.211116/
Relevancy 49.88%

I'm trying to record some karaoke but every time I play back the recorded track, the music is "doubled" with a slight delay, as if the laptop's built-in microphone was picking up the music along with my voice. Here is an example:

http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/watchandlisten/play/c58ef46c3

Notice how those staccato notes are doubled with that slight delay.

I'm using Windows 7 on a Dell laptop with Realtek.
Under Playback I have two devices: Loudspeaker (enabled) and Realtek Digital Output (disabled)
Under Recording I have: Microphone (enabled) and Stereomix (disabled)

I'm recording using headphones and the laptop's built-in microphone. This is what the Realtek Audio Manager looks like:

It's in German but most options are self-explanatory.

If you could help I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for reading.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bleeding-when-trying-to-record-on-laptop.211024/
Relevancy 67.94%

I have been having this issue for about 2 weeks now. Ive literally tried everything including uninstalling/reinstalling network card, restore points (there are none), a windows update download, and reformatting the hard drive (wont let me). Any help is appreciated. I cant afford a new pc or any new hardware at this time.

A:"Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed."

failed to query tcp/ip settings of the connectionClick to expand...

what did you do when this occurred?

Describe network equipment {modem, router} ISP, and your system.

Connect it all together, get a command prompt, enter ipconfig /all >myTcp.txt
and come back here and paste the contents of myTcp.txt as your reply

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failed-to-query-tcp-ip-settings-of-the-connection-cannot-proceed.177223/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi my daughter tried to adjust the resolution and now the screen is Black and stuck on Out Of Range. I cannot even get it safe mode or anything. Just a black screen with the writting. It's a windows xp 32. My son is so sad if anyone knows what to do please help. Thank you.

A:PC monitor screen is black & says "Out Of Range"

Repeatedly press F8 while the system is booting.. The very first stuff you see on screen will either be your motherboard splash screen or some text. When you get to the menu where you can make a selection, choose VGA mode NOT Safe Mode. That will boot your computer at 640x480, but it will boot with full driver support, just as if things were normal. Change the resolution to what you want after that.

Remember if you change it to something that goes 'out of range' DO NOT touch anything for 15 seconds. It will revert back to what it was after that time and you can try again.

Unrelated.. Go to school at UMR? or different Miner?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-monitor-screen-is-black-says-out-of-range.210867/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hi all So I got G today from an online webstore today I ve been using a super old button logitech back-up mouse since my G died I ll describe my procces thus far Plugged in G when computer was on No sign of life windows tries to install a driver fails Device manager lists the G under Other devices with a yellow triange telling me no driver is installed Then went to logitech com to download the drivers and support software LGS LGS being the Logitech Gaming Software utillity that is the only downloadable support from logitech com fails to recognize my mouse just the G keyboard I Logitech issues G502 connection/recognition mouse have Tried the troubleshooting option of rebooting and re-installing the LGS no dice However the G does light up during booting up Booted the computer with the backup mouse unplugged and the G plugged in It works cursor movement left right click no advanced buttons for - mins before going back Logitech G502 mouse connection/recognition issues to the Device fail to install and the Device Manager placing it under other devices etc Plugged my backup back in tried manually updating drivers in the Device manager selecting it as a Mice and other pointing devices type of device and choosing the drivers from LGS drivers LGSHidFilter tried all subfolders of drivers but this one was the only one that held any inf files the Device Logitech G502 mouse connection/recognition issues manager recognised as a good drivers Selected the g driver No G driver was listed only a G s It tried to install but gave the error Device could not start code After reading threads in the logitech forum tried the FWUpdate a firmware update for the g option but installer tells me to connect my mouse before proceeding Even though my mouse IS plugged in Plugging it in and out doesnt help As for now im at my wits end I even tried borrowing someones g mouse and encoutered much the same issues All I can think of is to race from booting up with just the G plugged in to either the FWUpdate or the manual install from the device manager and see if the install goes through when it still works Seems rather unlikely and a silly way to go about things I hope anyone with similar issues can help me out any advice is super appreciated P S oh using Win ultimate bit nbsp

A:Logitech G502 mouse connection/recognition issues

I just fixed this exact problem on my Win7 Media Center x64. It's a bit convoluted, but the core of the issue is Windows not recognizing the device type properly. What you have to do is open up Device Manager and assign the drivers for Windows. This should fix the mouse.

Head into Device Manager and click View up top. Choose Devices by Connection. You'll see why in a second.
Expand the top entry until you find a PCI Bus. Expand that, then expand all the USB Host Controllers. One of them should have an entry for G502 Gaming Mouse under it.
Right click it and select Update Driver Software, then Browse My Computer for Driver Software. Now click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer."
Go down to USB Devices and install it as a USB Composite Device. The mouse should light up. Nice! It still doesn't work, though.
Now there'll be two more entries underneath the USB Composite Device, both of which should be G502 Gaming Mouse. Right click one and go back to the list of device drivers. This time go to Human Interface Devices and select USB Input Device for each of them. A bunch of new devices should populate beneath each USB Input Device, one of which should be HID-Compliant Mouse. Your mouse should now work!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/logitech-g502-mouse-connection-recognition-issues.205348/
Relevancy 18.49%

Okay so I've read the other threads and figure that...well...I figured nothing.

Audio sounds great. It's from my gigabyte motherboard, not from an expansion card. I have a jumper cable running from my mobo to my video card for the audio signal. When there is no audio playing on my computer, there is a sort of static buzz that has what seems like a specific rate to it... "blip blip____blip blip___blip blip"..... sort of like that

All inputs/recording settings have been disabled.

The only fix I have is to basically open an app (winamp) and have it play audio at 0% volume. It's kind of stupid and would prefer to not have to do this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

A:Buzzing when no sounds play over HDMI connection

I have a jumper cable running from my mobo to my video card for the audio signal.Click to expand...

That's the norm for HDMI. HUMMMMMM or other noise when no sound is being produced intentionally is usually a grounding or cable shielding problem.

To be honest, my laptop HDMI is iffy; by that I mean, a connection to the HDTV at home and at one auditorium is just fine, but at another location, I get hum all the time both with and without sound originating from the laptop - - using the same hdmi cable.

The laptop has a plastic case and of course can not be shielded and therefore subject to 'environmental' interference'

In normal audio circuits, a/c hum indicates poor or no shielding (ie grounding) OR
the leads on the audio cable are reverse - - the ground on the cable is wired (by mistake) to the audio hot lead (ie the input).

On your PC, make sure you have a grounded A/C power cord and the wall plate has an active ground connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/buzzing-when-no-sounds-play-over-hdmi-connection.209553/
Relevancy 15.91%

I have an installation folder on my main machine(Windows 7) with all my software. I have repeatedly run into issues connecting odd devices to my shared folder. This time I have installed Windows 10 Technical Preview (on a different machine) and don't understand why it tells me I can't access my own machine. After all these years, you would think user friendly would be a reality. It seems to be a coin toss as to which machines will connect. I hate never knowing I can access my own machine without issue. Here I am trying to install applications but yet I can't get to my storage location.

What is the secret to sharing your machine, so that anyone on the same network can access shared folders?

Edit: I always turn on "Network Discovery" and "File and Print Sharing".

A:Network connection issues (year after year)

I'm more brutal via the firewall:

set trust localhost and your lan ip's, eg 192.168.0.1/24

then add two rules for only the PRIVATE PROFILE

inbound allow tcp/udp from 192.168.0.1/24 to any for ports 137-139,445
outbound allow tcp/udp from any to 192.168.0.1/24 for ports 137-139,445
I use a much more complicate scheme in reality to enforce known vs unknown devices and to segregate WiFI from wired access, but that's just me.

In services, ensure these are running

Bonjour Service ( mDNSResponder)
fdPHost
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-connection-issues-year-after-year.208880/
Relevancy 50.74%

For the past month, Nvidia has faced its fair share of bad PR thanks to the GeForce GTX 970's memory allocation issue. As has been uncovered by users and explained by Nvidia, the GTX 970's last 512 MB of VRAM...

Read more

A:Nvidia CEO says GTX 970 memory controversy "won't happen again"

Again: the performance didn't change overnight; it's today the same performance than the advertised on launch date. Even that technicality can kill the case. Specifications were the "misleading" part.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-ceo-says-gtx-970-memory-controversy-wont-happen-again.209149/
Relevancy 51.6%

As you've probably heard by now, Nvidia is having a few issues with their GeForce GTX 970 graphics card. In response, AMD has lowered the price of the card's main competitor, the Radeon R9 290X, in an attempt to get...

Read more

A:AMD cuts Radeon R9 290X price amid GTX 970 "issues"

Meaning AMD could have been selling the card cheaper this whole time.

AMD needs to stand more firmly in their business decisions. Changing prices on a whim every time the wind blows, shows lack of confidence in their product to sell itself.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-cuts-radeon-r9-290x-price-amid-gtx-970-issues.208450/
Relevancy 18.92%

I have dsl high speed internet and I called them because it kept cutting out and they said it was our router because it was 5 years old so I got a new netgear r6100 dual band router (120 $) , our modem is about 2 months old the phone line coming into the house is new (new house) but the line going to the box on the road is old could that be the problem? when we first got the internet it was awesome then they upgraded the speed coming through the line and it slowly got more and more less stable now its cuts out all the time?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dsl-connection-cuts-out-every-10-minutes.207847/
Relevancy 17.63%

Toshiba laptop. Internet at the bottom right says there is a connection available, but says the settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network. It has to be plugged in to the modem to access Internet. Speakers do not work. Ports do not work either. I had it in for repair and he thought it might be the motherboard, but he couldn't fix the other one and I got help with Broni on here and it works fine now. I am hoping someone on here can help me fix this one. It has no viruses; it's clean. Thanks!

A:Laptop cannot access the Internet unless it is hooked to the modem

Ok, the modem=>pc config working says networking is at least sane.

To get the modem=>router=>pc to work, the pc should not have ANY configuration data stored in the network adapter settings. Can you find and clear the network adapter for yourself?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-cannot-access-the-internet-unless-it-is-hooked-to-the-modem.207405/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hello everybody, I'm having a problem with my wifi-connection, it is limited, can someone please help me
I'm using windows 8.1 Pro and here is the problem:

note that this only happens with that wifi network and only with my Laptop, my Laptop can connect with the other wifi networks and the other wifi networks can connect with that "Fiber Pagoda" networks
Here is the ipconfig/all says:

I've tried all the ways that I found the internet:
- reset modem
- set static ip
- uncheck ipv6 protocol
- reinstall windows
- renew ip:
When I renew ip, it said:

-reinstall my wifi-driver:
Here is my driver:

-update windows
but none of it can fix the problem
please, please, please help me !!!

A:Wi-Fi connection

Try changing the Wifi security setting in the modem. You should be able to access the setting by typing http://192.168.1.1 in your browser address bar. I had an HP laptop that was very particular about the security type. I believe it wouldn't access using WEP but would using WPA2.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wi-fi-connection.207660/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a mystery on my hands. I received a Bluetooth speaker as a gift. The BT-4.0 adapter plugged into my computer (USB-2.0 port) detects it (as a "Bluetooth headset"), but when I try to select it as my output device (from the "Sound" Control Panel), Windows reports it as "Disconnected".

If I open "Devices and Printers" and right-click the "Bluetooth headset" icon, I get an alert that the device "Failed to initialize".

I've tried rebooting, tried a different BT adapter, updated my BT drivers off the makers' website, Device Manager shows everything is connected & working (including "Bluetooth Audio").

64bit Win7 Home. Inateck BT-4.0 usb adapter. Speaker is a "MicroBoom" BT v2.1:
Any ideas?

PS: Eliminated the obvious. Speaker is fully charged and works just fine with my phone.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bluetooth-headphones-paired-but-disconnected-failed-to-initialize.207624/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi there guys

I suddenly can't connect to wifi, but the problem is solved when I use the cable, and connect my laptop directly to modem. surprisingly I checked and it seems I can connect with my tablet to wifi spot! I used recovery and system restore point, but it didn't help.

I really appreciate your help.

oh and yes in wireless mode, I can see different wifis, but when I click to connect, it tries "connecting" but fails as well.

A:Investigate router, access point issues

Do you use MS Update in Autoupdate? looking to see if you are 'current'.

get make/model of your WiFI device (see device mgr),
find the version of the existing driver, then
see if you can find a newer version; install it if found.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/investigate-router-access-point-issues.207216/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello It may seem like a simple problem but I know nothing of the subject and I ve had the problem for ages Whenever I copy large files Movie size think MB the copy progresses very remaining" drives "5 sec Copying to/from stuck before for flash on 30 finishing seconds fast MB s until it reaches about where it gets stuck for about seconds to a minute and it says quot Time remaining seconds quot during all that time I have this problem with any flash drive in any USB port amp It also happens when copying to network drives and external harddrives which leads me to think it s a software windows issue Some vital information Copying to/from flash drives stuck on "5 seconds remaining" for 30 sec before finishing The flash drive I mainly use is USB quite new and easily capable of MB s writing speeds It reaches about - MB s during the copy until the final point where it still says MB s but does nothing for seconds USB port is also and I ve also tried every single other port in my computer None are broken and none ever show any signs of being slow The flash drive is NTFS formatted but it used to be FAT I ran checkdisk to see if there was anything wrong but there wasn t It s NTFS since I occasionally need files gt GB I tried using TeraCopy to bypass the issue but this way doesn t reach speeds of over MB s which takes even longer in the end It does fix the hanging at issue I tried converting the drive back to FAT which removes the issue of it hanging at but again the speed doesn t go above MB s which means it takes longer in the end making it not worth it What bothers me is that the files transfer at the maximum speed right until the very end where it just magically gets stuck for seconds or more before finishing like nothing happened Please advise P S I shamefully have to admit I never safely remove my hardware nbsp

A:Copying to/from flash drives stuck on "5 seconds remaining" for 30 sec before finishing

Marty9231 said:

Hello!

It may seem like a simple problem, but I know nothing of the subject and I've had the problem for ages.

Whenever I copy large files (Movie size, think 700MB+), the copy progresses very fast (~100MB/s) until it reaches about 99% where it gets stuck for about 30 seconds to a minute, and it says "Time remaining: 5 seconds" during all that time.

I have this problem with any flash drive, in any USB port (2 & 3). It also happens when copying to network drives and external harddrives, which leads me to think it's a software/windows issue.

Some vital information:

The flash drive I mainly use is USB 3.0, quite new and easily capable of ~150MB/s writing speeds. It reaches about 120-130 MB/s during the copy until the final point where it still says 130 MB/s but does nothing for 30 seconds.

USB port is also 3.0, and I've also tried every single other port in my computer. None are broken, and none ever show any signs of being slow.

The flash drive is NTFS formatted, but it used to be FAT32. I ran checkdisk to see if there was anything wrong, but there wasn't. It's NTFS since I occasionally need files >4GB.

I tried using TeraCopy to bypass the issue, but this way doesn't reach speeds of over 20MB/s which takes even longer in the end. It does fix the 'hanging at 99% issue'.

I tried converting the drive back to FAT32, which removes the issue of it hanging at 99%, but again the speed doesn't go above 20MB/s which means it takes longer in the end, making it not worth it.

What bothers me is that the files transfer at the maximum speed right until the very end, where it just magically gets stuck for 30 seconds or more, before finishing like nothing happened.

Please advise!!

P.S.: I shamefully have to admit I never safely remove my hardware. Click to expand...

Although I've had the same happen on my downloads, this "P.S.: I shamefully have to admit I never safely remove my hardware." could be part of the problem, good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copying-to-from-flash-drives-stuck-on-5-seconds-remaining-for-30-sec-before-finishing.207001/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi,

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

Thanks

A:Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-set-up-local-and-remote-user-with-server-2012.206403/
Relevancy 17.63%

Well I am accessing my remote router via and it works access work via phone, Remote PC doesnt via ok when I am using my Phone s Remote access ok via phone, doesnt work via PC browser chrome or IE on Samsung however when I am at computer at work I cant access my router I ran Tracert and I am getting up to hoops and th says quot Request timed out quot lt ms lt ms ms lt ms lt ms lt ms lt ms lt ms lt ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms ms Remote access ok via phone, doesnt work via PC ms ms ms border ge - unitedair- chg pnap net ms ms ms core te - -bbnet chg pnap net ms ms ms ae - chi ip gtt net ms ms ms xe- - - chi ip gtt net ms ms ms c-eth- - - -pe ecermak il ibone comcast ms ms ms he- - - - -cr ecermak il ibone comcast ms ms ms ms ms ms te- - - - -sur mortongrove il chicago com net ms ms ms te- - -cdn mortongrove il chicago comcas t Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Trace complete Anyone would know why it works on the phone and doesnt really go through all the way to the end nbsp

A:Remote access ok via phone, doesnt work via PC

Ok I have to ask first when you are using your phone is it always using mobile data or do you connect it at work via wifi? When reason that makes sense to me is at your work they maybe blocking the remote port. I guess it all depends on what you are using also. If you are just using standard RDP then they might be blocking port 3389. If you could give further information on how you are connecting remotely whether using software such as teamviewer or just standard RDP. Also how do you have your router configured. I can better understand witht is information thanks....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/remote-access-ok-via-phone-doesnt-work-via-pc.206550/
Relevancy 25.37%

Printer Problems in Windows XP sp3
Dell Personal Printer all in one A940
After trying to speed up an older computer running Windows XP
I may have cut off the Print Spooler (or it was already off ?)
I went back to Services dialog box & selected Print Spooler
I clicked the "Start" link at left of service list & got a message tgat said
"could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start."
Printer is still not working can anyone help?

A:Could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068

On Win/7 the dependencies are

HTTP

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
DCOM Server Process Launcher
RPC Endpoint Mapper
Manually start each on and set to AUTOSTART as you go.
If one fails, then that is the root problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/could-not-start-print-spooler-service-on-local-computer-error-1068.206839/
Relevancy 18.06%

So I have a very strange issue with my laptop.
It's a Toshiba a665-06f
I7 [email protected]
8gb ram
500gb Samsung ssd
Running Windows 8.1 pro

I can't get into the bios it boots in less than 10 secs, I've even tryed removing the hdd to get it to boot to the bios but it just sits at a blank screen when I do that. I've tryed tapping the all the f keys the del and esc on start cant get into the bios or even the boot options. Other than not booting into the bois it works great.
Any ideas please?

A:Unable to access bios

"Other than not booting into the bios, it works great"... So this means you can boot into Windows normally, and use the laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-access-bios.206928/
Relevancy 51.6%

Please help.. Can't connect to the wifi but using ethernet is working fine.. My phone could connect to the same wifi though
tried to backread some of the threads but didn't work on my laptop

A:Cannot "fully" connect to wifi but works fine on ethernet

Additional info. I am using Atheros AR5006EXS Wireless Network Adapter
and I did deleted the driver and it installed again automatically, but sadly it still doesn't work

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-fully-connect-to-wifi-but-works-fine-on-ethernet.206650/
Relevancy 50.74%

I've been having an issue which started this morning. The previous night, I forgot to plug in my Dell Inspiron N5050 after using it. I woke up to find that my battery had died (obviously). I plugged in the laptop, running Windows 7 HE 64 bit, and turned it on. It booted normally and I was able to do all of my tasks as needed. Then I noticed my problem. The battery icon down on the taskbar showed that the device was plugged in, but was not charging. It has stayed at a constant 2% charge for more than 24 hours now. The Battery Meter stated that my battery is performing normally, so I ruled the battery out as the cause. The adapter I am using is the default one that came with the laptop when I bought it, and it appears to be functioning normally as well. What could be the cause of this incident, and what can I do to fix it?

A:Battery Stated as "Plugged in, Not Charging"

Most likely you have a bad battery. Dell has had whole series of batteries that they shipped out in a not fully functional state. I have an HP laptop (about 8 years old now) that the battery took a "steamy one" and it will no longer charge properly. You can try this trick (it may not work, but worth a try because did work for me a couple times): power down laptop and take the battery out for 30 minutes; replace battery and plug in charger but do not power on; wait 4 hours of charge and power on. I had it work a couple times that it gave a full 100% charge. Again, if it doesn't work then sorry, but at least you tried.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/battery-stated-as-plugged-in-not-charging.203683/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hello all,
Most of memories, RAM, ROM, HDD, DVD-RAM and others are
random access. What are some non random access memories please?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/non-random-access-memory.206101/
Relevancy 18.92%

I'm having trouble staying on line with telstra connection my internet keeps freezing and dropping in and out I have had trouble with my home line phone and have a bullion modem which this isn't the problem, the problem I believe lays with telstra as I've checked with my server and with downloads and updated my PC so what can I do next.
Thanks
June

A:Having problems with connection dropping in and out

June Lomas said:

what can I do next.Click to expand...

Call Telestra

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/having-problems-with-connection-dropping-in-and-out.206048/
Relevancy 49.88%

I used RV042 10/100 4-Port VPN Router. I've configured the dual WAN, and enable Load Balancing for faster internet. But if I accessedhttp://ipchicken.com/ my IP Address is always chaging? How can I setup the router sticking to just one IP address?

A:How to "Load Balance" without changing the IP?

Let me preface by saying....taking two circuits and using them at the same time, even with protocol management from the LB is most likely not worth the effort.

But for the sake of the argument, the first hurdle you have is that both circuits need to have static IPs. What type of connections are they?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-load-balance-without-changing-the-ip.205897/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hello there,
I have seen that you are knowledgeable regarding pc, and have also seen tht you resolved successfully several threads.

I have a laptop and up to yesterday I could connect to the internet through wifi and cable. But today I cannot.

Here you can see my wifi.txt : https://www.dropbox.com/s/27g7g6xzqb8al1e/myWifi.txt?dl=0
and here my wired: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5nwfr6nwafoj1a/myWired.txt?dl=0
I uninstalled bitdefender to no avail.
Yesterday I was experimenting with this software: hotspot shield, bot revolt, ghostsurf. I uninstalled it yesterday and internet was working fine after that. I am just mentioning it.
I have win 8.1
I dont have any red in device mgr.

I am looking forward to your answer.
I hope you can help me
Kind regards
nisidotatos

A:Connected to internet, but no access

I'm posting a Win/8 solution solved in a private conversation. After proving that TCP could PING and use NSLOOKUP, it is time to suspect browser settings - - here's the solution:

jobeard said:

IE(9) -> Internet Options
General Tab
set homepage too www.google.com/

Security Tab
[x] enable protected mode

Connections Tab
at the bottom click Lan settings button
[x] Automatic detect settings SHOULD BE ON
[ ] auto script OFF
[ ] use a proxy OFF

Advanced Tab
[x] software rendering instead of GPU
Browsing
[x] disable script debugging (there's 2 of these)
HTTP 1.1
[x] both boxes
International
[x] send IDN names
[x] send UTF-8
Security
[x] check publisher revocation
[x] check certificate
[x] check signatures on downloads
[x] enable Windows Authentication
[x] enable memory protection
[x] use SSL 3.0
[x] use TLS 1.0
[x] use TLS 1.1
[x] use TSL 1.2
[x] warn certificate address mismatch
[x] warn if postClick to expand...

nisidotatos said:

It worked.
it was a problem here:
Connections Tab
at the bottom click Lan settings button
[x] Automatic detect settings SHOULD BE ON
[ ] auto script OFF
[ ] use a proxy OFF

the auto was off, and also a vpn required was on, which I deactivated.
It is working now.
This is great.
I thank you so much.
If you ever come to Greece, give me a call!!!Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connected-to-internet-but-no-access.205805/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hello,
Sony KDL-32R410b TV has only two hdmi inputs , one is HDMI MHL other is HDMI ARC.
I have a dvd player with a regular plug HDMI output.I do not own a receiver compatible with the ARC function.
My question is if I can connect my dvd player to ARC TV HDMI socket.In this case it is possible to damage the TV?
Thank you.

A:Hdmi connection

Background:
what the heck is MHL? Think of it as a technology that turns a common MicroUSB cable into an HDMI cable, but with a few special features. MHL stands for Mobile High-definition Link, and it's the brainchild of a group of companies?including Nokia, Samsung, Silicon Image, Sony and Toshiba?that wanted a specification that could be used to connect smart phones, tablets, and other devices to an HDTV.​
HDMI 1.4 introduces two features called ARC (audio return channel) and HEC (HDMI Ethernet channel).​

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdmi-connection.205535/
Relevancy 18.49%

I bought a new Tenda Adsl2 Router
when I connect it to My pc or laptop it shows error
"Limited or no Connectivity"
I repair it by windows but still same problem.
I can't access 192.168.1.1
please help me to connect

A:Tenda Adsl2 Router W150D connection Problem

Is that a wired connection? Try this before attempting WiFi . . .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tenda-adsl2-router-w150d-connection-problem.205287/
Relevancy 18.92%

Hi all,

I have a problem that I can't connect through wifi in windows vista home premium, but I can using LAN or using wifi in ubuntu. Please if can anyone help as it is urgent to me.
@jobeard

A:Can't connect through wifi but have a connection through LAN

see this thread and supply that data in your follow-up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-connect-through-wifi-but-have-a-connection-through-lan.205081/
Relevancy 34.83%

Dell is releasing a new 5K monitor in Q4 this year. That's your ideal 2560 x 1440 quadrupled for retina effect, while keeping the perfect proportions, with the software that supports it that is, for the total of 5120 x 2880 madness.

A:Dell 27" 5K Monitor

VitalyT said:

Dell is releasing a new 5K monitor in Q4 this year. That's your ideal 2560 x 1440 quadrupled for retina effect, while keeping the perfect proportions, with the software that supports it that is, for the total of 5120 x 2880 madness.Click to expand...

And I thought 4K was crazy high resolution already xD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-27-5k-monitor.205015/
Relevancy 18.92%

I have spent the last days trying to get my WiFi to connect Connection Ethernet not through Internet but WiFi to the Internet and am ready to throw the computer and all its additional equipment out of the window Amongst a collection of other laptops and a desktop running different systems - Windows XP Vista Windows and Windows - I have an old Acer Aspire running Windows XP Pro SP I use it mainly for midi file work and as a host for Visual Studio which I keep for maintenance of some programs written many years ago but still in use by some of my friends and for which I require frequent searches on the Internet Just recently for no apparent reason the WiFi on this laptop suddenly stopped working I have been using an Edimax EW- Usg wireless adapter Internet Connection through Ethernet but not WiFi which has never given any trouble in the past to connect with my home network through a router modem supplied by my ISP Internet Connection through Ethernet but not WiFi Since every other computer iPhone iPad and Kindle connects to the same network and works perfectly I have to assume that there is no problem with that router Also the problem laptop connects perfectly via the ethernet cable It just won t work on WiFi alone I have checked my wireless connections setup including TCP IP and can find no problem devices in Device manager I have searched for solutions on the internet and tried everything I can find - I have scanned my hard disk with Panda Antivirus have downloaded and run MalwareBytes I have tried changing the router channel I have tried setting the ipconfig values Nothing makes any difference When I attach the wireless adapter there is usually a message telling me the connection has quot limited or no internet access quot At this point ipconfig all shows the default values for the configuration If I try repairing the connection I am told that the process cannot continue for one reason or another though on occasion it connects when I close the message box However the adapter still shows quot acquiring IP Address quot and hangs there Here ipconfig all shows the correct configuration In both situations the only ipaddress I can ping is the host PC - the problem one Every other IP whether in numerical form such as Internet Connection through Ethernet but not WiFi the router or alphabetical form such as google com returns either a quot timeout quot or a quot cannot find quot message and of course I cannot connect to the internet I have tried clearing the ipconfig I ve forgotten the command and followed it with ipconfig renew but that won t work I have repaired winsock using Microsoft s instructions and I have become quot war-weary quot trying to make sense of the whole thing I am trying not to have to re-install Windows XP and the associated updating of all programs so as a last resort I tried probably unsuccessfully to uninstall Edimax In the end after using Add and Remove to clear as much as possible I just deleted the complete folder from Program Files Then I installed the software for an old Belkin Wireless USB Adapter which I had lying around and tried it The outcome was exactly the same The Belkin software has one advantage however - it allows the user to opt to control the adapter through Windows though I still could not make it work I just don t know enough to solve this one Any ideas anyone BarrieC St ckM n nbsp

A:Internet Connection through Ethernet but not WiFi

Have you tried using another adapter? Or tried using the adapter on another computer? Just to rule out if the adapter is bad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-connection-through-ethernet-but-not-wifi.196216/
Relevancy 18.49%

I m been having some network problems and I m really not sure to make of any of them Networking was never my strong point but I ve done everything I m capable of to try and diagnose and fix this problem So I have comcast and use my own router The last router I had was a netgear and needed replaced because it would restart itself randomly multiple times a day and I d be without internet for about - minutes at a time Instead network wireless Help connection diagnosing problems of trying constantly to fix it I just bought a linksys C to replace it with This problem started happening a little over a month ago and it manifests is self differently every time and the symptoms just don t at up in any logical way before I go out and buy a new router I want to ask you guys Obviously I get disconnected for about a minute at a time but Help diagnosing wireless network connection problems I also have long periods of just EXTREMELY slow internet Help diagnosing wireless network connection problems speeds I m talking mbps down to less than mbps The odd part comes in when I do a speed test during one of these drops in speed The speed test says I m getting all mbps of my connection but the youtube video I ll be watching will need to buffer Pages will also load very slowly but not all of them Techspot Youtube and Outlook all take forever to load during these slow downs but others will load just fine I can t figure out if this is the router or comcast It problem seems like it is a router problem because of me getting disconnected from my router but during these slow downs I can still access my router just fine and my internet speed will be displayed correctly I only have one computer connected to wifi so I can t test other machines What do you guys make of this Also what are some tests I can run to help diagnose this problem I m at wits end about this whole thing The disconnects seems to have stopped when I changed channels in my router to channel but I m still having this severe slow down issue Also as a side note I recently upgraded to xfinity and it came with a new modem These slowdowns have been occurring on both modems which leads me to believe it is the router Here is what I ve tried doing so far gt upgrading firmware gt changing ethernet cables gt changing modems gt changing wireless cards gt adjusting channels gt using different types of security WEP MAC WPA gt reinstalling windows gt using different browsers nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-diagnosing-wireless-network-connection-problems.204969/
Relevancy 18.92%

Hello This is my very first post on this site I was looking for a good place for tech support and an My HDMI-DVI Monitor and with Connection Some Help Need this was recommend so now I m here Alright - here s the story A few months ago my neighbor moved They gave away some of their stuff one of which is a ViewSonic VG wm monitor which was given to me At first glance it didn t look like much Then I decided Need Some Help with My Monitor and an HDMI-DVI Connection to some research on it and it turns out that it s actually an HD monitor back from It even displays in full p After I found that out I wanted to try out my Wii U with it That s when I ran into a pretty big roadblock Turns out that even though it can do HD the oh so sensible people at ViewSonic decided to NOT incorporate an HDMI port Weird right Anyway it has two input ports - a DVI-D port and a VGA port I ve been using my laptop with the monitor through the VGA port and it displays at x Little did I know that VGA is quite archaic when Need Some Help with My Monitor and an HDMI-DVI Connection compared to DVI and HDMI I just went on vacation to the States I live in the Bahamas - and I was able to Need Some Help with My Monitor and an HDMI-DVI Connection pick up a really affordable yet well-reviewed DVI-HDMI male-to-male adapter cable made by ULTRA Since I couldn t bring my monitor with me I had to wait to get all the way back home here in the Bahamas Why oh why As soon as I got home I plugged in the cable to the back of the monitor the DVI end and into my Wii U the HDMI end I powered on the monitor and WALLA ----- oh wait quot No Signal quot I ve been trying for about - hours now and that s all I can get from it I ve tried all I can I even plugged the HDMI end into my set-top box and believe it or not IT WORKED I took it out and tried it again but once again quot No Signal quot That s the only time it s worked I m not sure what the case is I ve done all I can I tried it on my laptop it s the only one in the house with an HDMI port and this monitor is the only one in the house with a DVI port The monitor has age on it I can t access the OSD and there are a few bright spots but it still looks and works good I just really wanted to try DVI since it s apparently in the same ballpark as HDMI when it comes down to display quality So does anyone have any ideas I can t return the cable to try for a different one just in case IT S the problem - and to buy one here in my country is a little more expensive TL DR - Monitor won t accept DVI signal from HDMI to DVI adapter cable but accepts VGA just fine Any tips to attempt a fix nbsp

A:Need Some Help with My Monitor and an HDMI-DVI Connection

Not completely sure since I have a laptop (I don't use an external monitor), but don't you have to switch the input of the monitor like a TV?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-some-help-with-my-monitor-and-an-hdmi-dvi-connection.204858/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi, when I typed " dxdiag " it said n/a, last time I checked there was something written in it..

A:When I typed " dxdiag " it said n/a

Check your graphics drivers and install the latest one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/when-i-typed-dxdiag-it-said-n-a.204746/
Relevancy 75.25%

So I realize that this is my computer telling me that it is not getting a connection to the internet So here is a basic diagram of my setup ISP---- gt Cable Modem----- gt New Splitter---------- gt Asus wifi router working --------- gt Desktop IP also connected to wifi My ISP is Charter Com via a Cable Modem From there I go into a TRENDnet ethernet switch splitter From there I have cable that goes to my desktop one cable to goes Area Local Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx to the upper floor to the wifi router Asus RT-N U The router is working fine and I am currently connected to it I have replaced the TRENDnet Switch every ethernet cable except to Asus wifi router This is where it gets stupid I can disconnect the TRENDnet switch and plug in my Desktop with the IP and it works I have researched this topic via forums for the past month and a half and now after fresh installing windows would like to try and get some input of what other might think is going on I am out of options I Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx had this setup for quite some time with wired and wifi Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx but just all of a sudden about - months ago after moving my desk and plugging it all in again it stopped working Here is a text format of Ipconfig of my LAC Configuration for interface quot Local Area Connection quot DHCP enabled Yes IP Address xxx xxx Subnet Prefix xx mask InterfaceMetric DNS servers configured through DHCP None Register with which suffix Primary only WINS servers configured through DHCP None As I said I am now running a fresh install of windows with no Bonjour program on it I have released renewed and about other CMD commands that I could think of The internet options for this adapter are set to obtain automatically I have ran about every malware program I can think of So any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx

Hmm why the splitter BEFORE the router - - that's not the correct way to add a second router

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
to add a second router:

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
|
+--- new router

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-169-254-xxx-xxx.203909/
Relevancy 34.83%

My sister's 13" MBP (2011) died a few hours ago. According to what she told me, she was using it, and then, poof, black screen and no power. She doesn't have the cash at the moment to have it properly checked by a tech, so I did a basic troubleshoot in an attempt to narrow things down.

While the internals are a bit dirty, I didn't see any obvious signs of physical damage (it was relevant to check for this). Furthermore, the machine doesn't seem to respond to any power sources. I tried a couple different power cables and, while the little amber light on the magsafe (sp?) tab will come on briefly, the computer with neither power on nor display a charge on the built-in charge indicator. I will also note that the machine failed while disconnected from an outlet source with a full battery indicated.

My initial conclusions are a) the computer fried itself or b) the battery is toast. Any suggestions?

A:2011 MBP 13" Won't Power Up

If no one here can offer any insight, I would post this to the Apple discussion forum. There are usually people there that can diagnose this from just a description so that is your best bet.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2011-mbp-13-wont-power-up.204013/
Relevancy 17.63%

Okay next Monday (July 21st) I go in for a hernia operation, I am going to be laid up for awhile and thankfully I have a laptop I can use while recovering upstairs in my bedroom. I can access my Netgear router but the signal is not that strong (bedroom and downstairs office are on opposite corners).

So I have been pondering getting either an Access Point or a Extender for the upstairs but there are so many to choose from I am not sure what to choose nor what brand because the reviews are strongly mixed regardless of who the manufacturer is.

My Needs:
1. Both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz. I've looked at this one but I am not sure: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

2. Something simple to set-up.

3. It must work with WPA security. The above one I linked to, after firther research does not do well with WPA.

A:Access Point or Extender for Upstairs Wireless?

Really NEED 5ghz? dual band systems seem to impact the reliability AND the distance reached.
You could lock it down to use only 2.4Ghz and improve the reliability.

I solved my distance issue using an EoP device and then any WiFi router at the remote end.
That's TWO purchases; The EoP master/slave pair to get wired access into the remote location and then the WiFi router itself. I've always been partial to Netgear and bought their EoP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-point-or-extender-for-upstairs-wireless.203893/
Relevancy 34.4%

I'm wondering whether I can overclock my ASUS R500VD notebook it has an INTEL sandy bridge core I5 3210M 2.50 GHz processor 4GB (max 8) of ram running puppy linux and windows xp home edition SP2 32 bit I have benchmarked it and ill email the results to anyone who replys and gives me their email and if you're wondering why I'm running windows xp read my article in the Alternative OS section of the forums called "If all else is too hard try puppy linux" bye

A:Can I overclock my asus notebook 17"

Nope sorry, the I5 3210M isn't OC enabled.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-overclock-my-asus-notebook-17.202019/
Relevancy 34.83%

Hi all,
I have an Acer Aspire Z5610 AIO computer.When I first bought it a few years back the @ and " were transposed.Hit the @ and " would come up and vice versa.At the time I contacted someone (can't remember who) and with their advice I was able to correct the problem.Due to age the PC was running v.slowly,painfully so.I decide to revert back to Factory default settings,unwisely it turns out,but the old problem of @ and " transposition is back.Has anyone out there got a solution to this problem.It is fixable as I have done it before,but how !!!
Thanks in advance,
Frank.

A:Keyboard @ and" are transposed

It's not really a problem particularly as you know which keys to press to get @ or ". This is one of the few differences between UK and US keyboard layouts. You can change the English language version from one of the options in Control Panel.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-and-are-transposed.203000/
Relevancy 18.06%

Someone help me please cannot access but can cable LAN wifi internet My It s urgent Windows IP Configuration Host Name kent-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description My wifi cannot access internet but LAN cable can Atheros AR PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS Physical Address - -A -AF- - E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR WB- NG Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - -CA- - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a e b ec Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained June Lease Expires June Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -D - C- - - -CA- - - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap CB C E- EC - E - CD- BE B CDC Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap AA FDD -F C - BD - D -CEDB F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:My wifi cannot access internet but LAN cable can

Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-wifi-cannot-access-internet-but-lan-cable-can.203495/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hi, not great with computers and had a look around at various forums and can't find a solution to my problem.

Essentially, whilst I can view the wireless network connections available, I cannot connect to the wireless connection I want to although all other computers at home can connect.

I think the issue is that I have no IP address on this computer (using Windows XP that has just been reinstalled). The result of ipconfig/release is:
No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection 2 while it has its media disconnected.

Sorry if further information is required, will provide whatever is needed. Thanks for any help!

A:Wireless Connection Media Disconnected (Windows XP)

First disconnect any wired connection and THEN attempt the wifi.
Something called DHCP is responsible to give the PC an IP address and also the DNS addresses (regardless of wired or wireless).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-connection-media-disconnected-windows-xp.203103/
Relevancy 18.49%

Greetings my fellow technologists I have routers and internet connection and want to set up a second wireless network using the Dual 1 Internet Creation with connection Network DDWRT same internet connection for VPN purposes The routers are Router A TPLink TL-WR N non DD WRT flashed Router B Linksys E DD WRT flashed Router A is connected directly to my company s network and works fine broadcasting DDWRT Dual Network Creation with 1 Internet connection its own wireless network BENMAO BENMAO s Router A configuration settings are below LAN IP LAN MAC BC-D - - - - A WAN MAC SAME WAN IP WAN SUBNET WAN GATEWAY WAN DNS I have connected Router B to Router A via Ethernet cable Port on Router A to INTERNET port on DDWRT Router B but get no internet access on Router B using DHCP with Automatic settings I am willing to change any settings and experiment to produce connectivity on the second network BENMAOVPN but don t know what to change in the protocol settings and there is very little information on Internet DDWRT forums It seems there are multiple DHCP DNS and IP conflict issues which I don t really have a good grasp of here The DDWRT router Router B is highly customizable but I admit I don t know whether to set is as an Access Point Client Bridge Bridge Repeater or Ad Hoc but I know I do NOT want to quot cascade quot the routers into wireless network Also Router B probably needs to be set to function as a Router rather than a Gateway When I replace Router A with Router B its just plug and play everything works fine and I can actually put all my devices on a wireless VPN so setting up the wireless VPN is not the issue its just getting Router B to accept the signal from Router A So bottom line is I need to know how to set Routers A amp B to share the Internet signal from Router A to Router B and then have Router B broadcasting a DIFFERENT network Thanks for any help in advance nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ddwrt-dual-network-creation-with-1-internet-connection.202411/
Relevancy 18.49%

I am on a Win 7 based computer. New apt, new internet connection. Old router.
Connects to net fine with an ethernet cable.
Connects to the wifi signal (strong signal) with password authentication BUT no internet access.
All my laptops are experiencing the same issue- so it does not appear to be related to the computer.
I then connected the ethernet cable to a Linksys E2000. Again, good signal, clear connection BUT no internet access.
What can I do??
IPCONFIG/ALL>myTCP.txt did not produce any results in DOS (why??)
Thanks in advance.....

A:Wifi connection issues- fine on ethernet

IPCONFIG/ALL report:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : subra-tablet
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : westell.com

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-5E-C0-40-B0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : westell.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0C-60-76-4A-97-6C
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7997:4b52:9da9:c46e%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.33(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 03, 2014 8:22:44 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 04, 2014 11:55:35 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 302801014
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-4D-54-A5-00-26-55-C9-E7-55
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : westell.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-55-C9-E7-55
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::790e:7ddd:2dfe:6f71%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.30(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 03, 2014 8:26:38 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 04, 2014 11:56:07 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 335553971
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-4D-54-A5-00-26-55-C9-E7-55
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

PPP adapter Broadband Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadband Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 117.202.95.249(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 218.248.255.147
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{F6FA6232-213B-4DE8-A4CA-916428E73370}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:75ca:5ff9::75ca:5ff9(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 218.248.255.14... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-connection-issues-fine-on-ethernet.202175/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi I have an older PC which I gave to my mum It originally ran Vista but I bought and installed Windows Ultimate around weeks ago after it had been inactive for months It was running great but a couple of weeks ago it just started hanging for no real reason Also at startup it would say that the computer had not been shut down properly even if it had This was only when it was switched off at the wall not after checksum defaults loaded" replaced error battery after - "cmos a restart or when the PC was left plugged in and switched on She only "cmos checksum error - defaults loaded" after battery replaced uses the PC to look at You Tube and some webcams from her grandkids and that s it she s not very computer literate Initially I left Windows repair to run overnight but when I looked at it the following morning it was still in the repair screen so I assume it had hung I spoke to a local repair shop and they suggested I test the RAM test the hard drive and replace the CMOS battery The RAM and hard drive checks went without any errors and after I replaced the battery the hanging stopped I played with the computer all evening and shut it down as normal and switched it off at the wall Next day I thought I would start it up just to check it and I was faced with a quot cmos checksum error - defaults loaded quot message I thought that was strange but maybe the battery was dead so I swapped it over with one from my perfectly working desktop to try it out and my desktop worked fine but after shutting down my mum s one it had the same problem when power was pulled So battery was ruled out Incidentally I will say that I reset the BIOS date and time every time I was faced with the error following up with a save and exit It worked fine until I unplugged the computer I then moved on to the BIOS and set it back to default and the same again After this opened the case and used the jumpers to reset the BIOS to default again but no difference My mum will not leave it switched on at the wall constantly in case it self-combusts same with her washing machine TV lamps etc otherwise I would just do that and ignore it Is there anything else someone can suggest that I try System Shop bought by Mesh Motherboard is an ASUS PSN-E SLI gb Ram - samsung gb hard drive - ASUS Thanks for any help nbsp

A:"cmos checksum error - defaults loaded" after battery replaced

I must add that the PC is the same as when I bought it new from the shop, except for adding a Creative Labs sound card (approx 2012) and installing Windows 7 (around 6 weeks ago). All Windows updates are downloaded and installed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cmos-checksum-error-defaults-loaded-after-battery-replaced.201304/
Relevancy 50.74%

My dell 1905fp finally crashed after a lot of years. I'm not a gamer, but I was very happy with that monitor.

Of course they no longer make it, and I understand refurbished monitors of this type are not necessarily a good option.

I can't seem to find reviews or comparisons which point the way to other similar monitors. I'm retired and just can't afford the $600 and way up price of what I've seen so far.

I just need a basic monitor with VGA and DVI, but would like the screen performance to be decent, incl for watching movies etc.

Any recommendations, and where to get a reasonable price? Again, don't want a wide screen.

Thanks much!

A:Reasonably priced 19" or 20" monitor, not wide-screen?

Nothing wrong with buying refurbs. They may have a few blemishes in the frame but nothing serious to keep them from functioning. I've bought a few myself and have had no issues with them. Although the monitors I bought were 20" widescreens that averaged $120 or less. For what you need/want, I wouldn't spend more than $150.

I know you said no widescreen, but movies do view better on widescreen.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-1905FP-Rotating-Landscape/dp/B00091R6KC - less than $100

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reasonably-priced-19-or-20-monitor-not-wide-screen.201641/
Relevancy 19.35%

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this question.
I have a desktop PC which is using 'Clear Wireless' as my internet connection.
If I set up another desktop PC in another room.....how do I get it to also use the same wireless connection?
This might sound like a silly question, but when you get my age, your lucky if you can remember what day it is.

A:Wireless connection?

"Clear Wireless" appears to be a service of Sprint. and also WiMAX
meaning you don't have a Modem or Router but take your connection directly off the radio waves - - can you confirm?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-connection.201898/
Relevancy 18.92%

I keep having a problem with my internet connection When I connect my pc to the wifi im only online for short periods of time Troubleshooting the problems doesnt give anything and deactivating and activating isnt helping either Im pretty sure its only my own router I cant connect to though I have no problem connecting through a ethernet cable Some intell Windows IP Configuration Host Name MSI Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter LAN-forbindelse Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Virtuelt kort til Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Physical Address C-D - - -F -D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth-netv rksforbindelse Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth-enhed Personal Area Network Physical Address C-D - - -F -D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R Centrino R Wireless-N Physical Address C-D - - -F -D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c d b d Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Saturday April PM Lease Expires Saturday April PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - A- - -A - C- -A - - - C DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Ethernet Media State Media disconnected Internet with wifi connection but with not ethernet Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Internet connection with ethernet but not with wifi Killer e Gigabit Ethernet Controller Internet connection with ethernet but not with wifi NDIS Physical Address C- -A - - - C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:Internet connection with ethernet but not with wifi

What is your operating system and what do you mean by short periods of time, like a minute and then it drops? Also, what kind of router do you have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-connection-with-ethernet-but-not-with-wifi.201815/
Relevancy 18.49%

I have been having numerous problems with my internet lately. On my desktop, Skype has been routinely causing 30 second interruptions with my internet services (I have already disabled nPnP). In addition, I will often lose connection to Steam while browsing the Steam store and I have had connection problems with at least one other online retailer. Each time, connections are lost for 30 - 60 seconds. It is getting quite irritating.

I am having a slightly different problem on my laptop while it is going through the same router. When streaming videos, they often won't buffer properly or even at all, leading to the video constantly pausing and starting up again.

There are so many things that could be wrong with my connection. It is my network router, my cable modem, my ISP, or even something on my computer. It would be nice if there was a program that could analyze my connection and determine where my internet connection is being severed when it is severed.

Could anyone recommend either a program or a method of diagnosing this problem.

Thanks.

A:Searching for a good way to diagnose my internet connection

First of all, we're going to need a speedtest.net report to see what kind of internet speeds you are dealing with in the first place. Second, when was the last time you did a reset on your router? Here's a link to a program that allows you to monitor your bandwith, which sounds like what you are asking for.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/searching-for-a-good-way-to-diagnose-my-internet-connection.201771/
Relevancy 33.11%

I have networked PCs before many times successfully so this is not my first time trying to network PCs in a home environment Though I m wondering if Windows is part of the problem I would have thought that for sure until one of the name credentials bad password? user with unknown even correct failure: or "Logon new laptops running W would not connect to any of the other three PCs Laptops running W Yet these other three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to this laptop Then it gets a little more "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password? even with correct credentials interesting this same laptop that couldn t connect to those three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to a Windows desktop and a XP Laptop and those two can also connect back to it without issue It s almost like my network is divided in half and only half can talk to each other But then when I thought it couldn t get any more interesting I realized the first three W PCs Laptops can talk to the others it s just that the others W Laptop W Desktop XP Laptop can t talk back to them without getting the error quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password even though the username and password are correct I don t fully understand this error because on the surface it s just WRONG My username and password are correct but it appears something somewhere is interfering or hijacking the authentication process Three of the computers laptops are brand new just purchased last week and setup this week The HostPC is also fairly new just purchased last month I am not using a HomeGroup and have removed all computers that were part of a HomeGroup I have enabled file sharing and network discovery and enabled Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers on all PCs I have DSL and am using the wireless modem provided by my ISP which has router functionality built into it It is a Sagemcom Model F ST N All computers are connected wirelessly Time is correct on all PCs I cannot use Group Policy since they re all Standard or Home edition DHCP is enabled and all computers are on the same subnet using the x range of ip addresses The six computers are as follows I figured this may make is easier to visualize the layout HostPC HP Desktop W PC Name DrsBlend U N DrsBlend p w not showing my real password PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Desktop W SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC Dell Laptop XP SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W Every PC stated above has the same user name and password and is logged-in with the username DrsBlend and the password The quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password happens when trying to access HostPC PC or PC from PC PC or PC The HostPC can see and connect to all the PCs but only PC and PC can talk back or access the HostPC It s like the HostPC and PC and PC are in their own little clique and can talk back and forth to each other Those three PCs can also talk to PC PC and PC as well but PC PC and PC cannot talk back to them HostPC PC PC Profile corruption I would have entertained that thought but the fact the first three PCs can access and talk to one another kind of defeats that idea and the fact the PCs were just recently setup Firewall Disabled and disabled TrendMicro with no change With them on off the first three PCs can still talk to each other and the rest of the PCs Anyone have any additional suggestions nbsp

A:"Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password” even with correct credentials

I experienced a similar problem when I was trying to network my 8.1 machine the host network. As you say the host PC can see and connect to all of the machines, but not the other way around. Not sure if it is the same in your situation but I found that Microsoft's idea of network sharing on the Windows 8 class of OS differs greatly from previous OS's in that you can connect to it from an external host, but when trying to do the other way around it doesn't "see" the PC in question due to differing network sharing protocols included in the OS.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am speaking only from what happened with my network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/logon-failure-unknown-user-name-or-bad-password%E2%80%9D-even-with-correct-credentials.201313/
Relevancy 33.97%

So newegg is offering the Acer 29" B6 B296CLbmlidprz IPS monitor for about 350. Seems like a pretty good deal but I can't find many reviews on it. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this monitor and/or if you guys have better options for someone who is looking for an IPS monitor below 400 bucks. I want to game with it as well as do some 3d modeling and photoshop work. So I need reasonable response time for gaming. I was also looking at the HP ZR2440w and was gonna get that until I saw this deal on newegg for a larger monitor. 24" models are fine but if there are good deals on some 27" inch ones then I would be interested in those as well. Any suggestions? Thanks.

A:Question on Acer 29" monitor and other monitors

Heres the link for that monitor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1GC2421

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-on-acer-29-monitor-and-other-monitors.201698/
Relevancy 18.92%

I have a Lenovo Ideapad What's than My a internet others. connection going has on? laptop slower much Yoga S Windows Chrome I live in a university residence and so I have no access to the modem and therefore have no wire to connect with I use wifi only According to speedtest net Ping ms Download speed Mpbs Upload speed Mpbs My link speed is Mpbs As you can imagine downloading things takes forever Youtube videos are blurry for a while before clearing up and have split-second black screen periodically Generally the internet connection is My laptop has a much slower internet connection than others. What's going on? slow on my laptop But when I use other peoples laptops in the same room it s much faster I have CCleaner Avast and Malwarebytes I clean and scan my laptop regularly Possibly unrelated factors Windows Defender doesn t turn on I had another program though so I didn t think this was a problem until something I read on the internet made me want to turn it on I My laptop has a much slower internet connection than others. What's going on? uninstalled the said My laptop has a much slower internet connection than others. What's going on? program so it wouldn t conflict with Windows Defender but it still refuses to turn on So as of now I have neither I also have about GB of space left lots of movies So what could the problem be How can I fix this nbsp

A:My laptop has a much slower internet connection than others. What's going on?

"Lots of movies".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you pirated a whole bunch of movies on the campus network.

It's probably likely that campus IT throttled your connection so you don't use up so much data. I'd give it 8 months of clean web habits, and then talk to IT and say you have a slow connection ...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-has-a-much-slower-internet-connection-than-others-whats-going-on.201435/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hi been awhile since I last posted. In the house we have a desktop and 2 laptops on the go in the house.The desktop is wired internet while the laptops are run on wifi.This worked fine until my isp UPC upgraded my internet speed from 50mb to 120mb.. The desktop and one of the laptops still works fine but the acus laptop has web access for between 20 mins to 45mins before the wifi drops off and becomes limited access. The wifi needs to be renabled to regain access to the wifi which lasts another small while until it gets limited access again.

The laptop specs are:
Acus K53e
Windows 7 home premium 64bit
intel Centrino N100 wifi adapter
Ram 6gig

At the moment its running for 30 mins then wifi cuts off for a few seconds before starting up again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-gets-limited-access-after-period-of-time.201028/
Relevancy 19.35%

I have this dell laptop, XPS M1330 that I bought new the ship date was 01/08/2008. I have been wanting to upgrade to a SSD but I don't know what kind of connector the system board has on it. It is some of SATA connector but it has separate power connector. I am hoping someone can tell me what type of connector this is and do they make a SSD with this type of connector.

You can view the photo I took of the drive here: https:[email protected]/13177305443/

A:Connection type?

Those connectors are SATA and SATA power (the longer one is SATA power). No idea how it works on a laptop though, I think the connectors just are fixed in place where the old HDD was. Before buying an SSD though, make sure it fits in the old space and you should be good, correct me if I'm wrong on any of this though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connection-type.200878/
Relevancy 18.49%

We have a problem with the connection to our server. The server disconnects randomly from minutes to hours all day. I am at a remote location and connect via logmein to a local pc at the servers physical location to remotely control and connect to the server. A month or so ago the connection would drop every few minutes. The staff at that location replaced the switch and had the ISP tech check out the router. No problems were found. I think it is a problem with the server itself but don't know what it could be. Typically I can go through the login process and reconnect. I'm sorry I can't be more specific about the equipment since it is 40 miles away. Any suggestions on troubleshooting? Remotely?
Clearly I'm not a network guy.
Thanks for any help or direction

A:Network connection to server disconnects constantly

The usual suspects are:

(for DSL connections only) missing or faulty line filters
need to update the router/modem firmware at your end
packet reassembly overflow(a)
(a) very techie, but the solution is easy; see this description

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-connection-to-server-disconnects-constantly.200706/
Relevancy 18.49%

You've all prob solved this problem for a thousand other folks...
I cant access my Ext Hard Drive. It worked fine on my PC first time around. When I took it to my MAC it was read only. I reformatted the EHD so that I would be able to copy files from my MAC. Now I want to transfer some of the data back to my PC but I can no longer access the drive on my PC.

I've read some threads with related issue.
Drive shows up in Devices and Printers.
Drive shows up in Disk Partitions> Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions> but when I right click on the drive, "Change Driver Letter and Paths" option is greyed out.
Drive does not show up when I go to Start>diskpart>run as administrator>list volumes...

I know the data is on the drive and my computer somewhat recognizes the drive. But I cannot access to explore, save to , etc. Please help.

A:Can't access my Ext.HD

Try to retrieve the data from the external hard drive with a data recovery software by connecting it to mac and then format the Ext Hard drive before it is connected to your PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-my-ext-hd.200498/
Relevancy 51.17%

I just got new SSD - Transcend 128GB. Installed Windows. When I cold boot my PC -- from a shut off state -- I get this message before Windows loads: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

However, if I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and reboot I come into Windows.

If I enter BIOS from cold boot, it does not detect my SSD. After rebooting it detects my SSD. Seems like the SSD is slow at firing up?

I have run chkdsk and memory test without any errors.

My motherboard is the MSI Z87-G55.

A:"Reboot and select proper boot device"

Just installed newest BIOS, it didn't help.

When I go into Board Explorer in BIOS it says SATA port 1 is empty. After reboot it says the same port is occupied by my SSD.

Update: Plugged in another hard drive (non-SSD). Same rules apply to it. On cold boot, none of the drives are detected. After reboot, both drives are detected. I used a non-SSD as system drive before this, worked perfectly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device.200351/
Relevancy 29.24%

So I was starting my laptop when suddenly I found this error :

(BIOS Date:06/08/09 16:37:07 Ver: 1.40
CPU: Inter(R) Core (TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 2.00GHz

Speed : 2.00 GHz

Initializing USB Controllers .. Done
4096MB OK

Auto-Detecting AHCI PORT 1..IDE Hard Disk
Auto-Detecting AHCI Port 4.. ATAPI CDROM
SATA Port1 TOSHIBA MK4055GSX FG011M

S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Statues OK

SATA Port4 HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU10N Devices...

00USB mass storage devices found and configured.

Checking NVRAM....

Not enough space in Runtime area!!. SMBIOS data will not be available

Press F1 to Resume )

I pressed F1 but it didn't resume. I waiting for that NVRAM check but its not getting any results and there's no loading bar to show me the process.
So cannot use my laptop now...

Any idea how to fix it ?

PS. it hard-boot last time I used it because it was out of battery but I didnt install any programs or software..
And I cannot open the Bios setting menu to edit anything

A:Not enough space in runtime area

The bios CMOS battery on the motherboard may have died...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/not-enough-space-in-runtime-area.200279/
Relevancy 18.92%

Sometimes my laptop would disconnect from the internet even though its working.
I've tried using the troubleshooter but it would say that the problem is fixed but then it would happen again in the next 10 min or so.
Occasionally while I'm playing a game, my ping would rise up to 400 or more.

A:Laptop having connection issues

Which connection? Wifi or wired? If it's wifi, then who knows what the problem is - your router and/or distance to it most likely.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-having-connection-issues.200110/
Relevancy 17.63%

I have a client that has been asking me about a way to monitor internet activities or to get email addresses for people who use his wifi hotspots He owns a chain of restaurants and essentially wants a system page access? restaurant hotspot for Login that retrieves people s email addresses when they connect so he can send them promotional emails Personally I think this is a terrible idea but professionally I have to give him my opinion I was going to suggest that he have a sign in page that the router directs traffic to before it gives full connectivity to the user Login page for restaurant hotspot access? This page would Login page for restaurant hotspot access? have a user agreement that allows for sending promotional emails I ve seen these at airports and some other businesses and I hate them but this seems to be the least morally objectionable way to do what he s asking rather than implementing a shady web traffic monitoring system I m pretty sure all this would take would be to have the DHCP managed by a server that through the dns sends all traffic to a page that requires registering a login before granting full access to the network Has anyone done something like this themselves or have a suggestion for a method or application that aids in something like this Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/login-page-for-restaurant-hotspot-access.200163/
Relevancy 33.97%

Recently my network storage device has stopped me from accessing folders with the exception of music. All my pictures for the last 11 years are on it and not backed up anywhere else. Cannot find manual and have done reset but cannot remember URL to setup or admin username and password. Doesn't seem to be online and Edge is giving me no help whatsoever.

A:Edge DiskGo 3.5" network harddrive

Ouch if this is a NAS Device or has an IP you can use an app called FIng for your mobile device to find its ip so you can put it in the browser and get to the gui site. If you cant try fing you can use angry ip scanner for winwdows to find its ip.

If you want to try and recover files I would try recuva to obtain any data that has been lost. I am not sure if it is lost or just changed in the mapping.

As most guys will tell you here its very good idea to have three forms of back up. Local, external and online. If you don t know how to use fing or any of the software I duscusses please let me know. I will have links to the downloads below. Goodluck.

http://angryip.org/w/Download
For Fing just type in Fing in either google play or Itunes.
For Recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download/standard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/edge-diskgo-3-5-network-harddrive.200015/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hello everyone,

I'm using windows 7 on my pc and try to connect to my home wireless connection .
every time I try to connect and enter the password, it won't be connected.
However, I'm using my laptop and phone to connect and it worked properly.

Please help my problem
Thanks in advance

A:Windows 7 unable to connect to wireless connection

How is your wireless Configured. I have seen many issues when using mixed mode in certain Linksys or Cisco Products. What kind of adapter are you using on y our PC for wireless Connection? Has it ever worked?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-unable-to-connect-to-wireless-connection.199928/
Relevancy 30.1%

My Hp pavilliin g7 series laptop running windows 7 home starts up with white screen and no beeps or sounds . Started freezing on Hp logo screen last week only sometimes. Id turn off and it would work on second try. About a year and a half ago I used laptop to preview windows 8. And after I reinstalled windows 7 it has been acting funny. Ie freezing and louder fan noise. I did recently update the bios and a pci device driver that never installed. But now it has white screen this morning. I shut off and powered up and still white.
I took off battery and pressed power for 10 sec plugged back in and still white. Still no noise.
Any ideas?

A:HP G7 17" screen starts up white and stays white

Try attaching an external monitor and notice what it displays...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-g7-17-screen-starts-up-white-and-stays-white.199331/
Relevancy 49.88%

Operating System Windows Home Premium A few months ago I had purchased an INSTEN Composite AV Cable for Sony PlayStation and INSTEN mm Stereo to RCA Cable M F Inch Cm Black With these I connected the sound from my PlayStation through the Audio In jack on my computer This allowed for an audio transfer from PlayStation into computer and out the Speaker Jack in the back This has worked fine until February rd On February nd I had changed my W power supply for a W power supply Problem "In Audio Line" That day everything worked perfectly however the next day I heard a "In Line" Audio Problem humming and the sound was messed up I found out the cause was the power supply I changed out the new power supply for my old one Now my audio "In Line" Audio Problem is messed up I hear what sounds like an echo in the sound If I have the speaker volume set to I can hear the sound fine but only in the left speaker Any higher I hear interference and it sounds like it is being muffled The other problem is I can t play any music or sound without the Stereo Cable being plugged in Also the port is being labled as In Line in my Realtek HD Audio Manager If there is anything that I need to add let me know nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/in-line-audio-problem.199925/
Relevancy 49.88%

Yes yet another topic seemingly on one that has been asked many times before But this is definitely different The PC Windows enterprise an mdg vxi with dual NICs one is running to science equipment with a static ip - works fine the other connects to the company network well it s supposed to It s not actually on the domain yet because the network path can never be found because of this DNS issue The Issue I can ping any site by it s IP but never by its hostname I cannot load Yet another ping but title hostname" - different "can't any sites though the browser by using the IP the browsers IE lt -- it s our standard browser right now eww Yet another "can't ping hostname" title - but different and firefox although that s not really supposed to be installed cannot load anything According to windows the card is fully connected with internet access We have tried trying different Yet another "can't ping hostname" title - but different NICs as the Yet another "can't ping hostname" title - but different secondary ones removing the secondary and using only the onboard to connect externally giving it a static IP and entering the DNS servers - we ve tried our dns servers as well as googles public ones all cmd commands that I could think of - nbtstat ipconfig flush and reg DNS fixing the host file deleting the TCP IP stack plugged in a laptop just to make sure the port was okay and everything worked I ve pretty much done anything I can think of and anything I ve read online I m sure other things were tried I just can t remember everything I ve done or my team as done as we ve been working on this for over a week on and off I am cisco certified and took network engineering in school I even called in my networking brain trust back home and we couldn t figure this out I m thinking it s something the science company that came in to set up the machine did and I am hoping it doesn t have to be re imaged as they would have to be called back in to setup the machines again Anyone that solves this will be my hero forever nbsp

A:Yet another "can't ping hostname" title - but different

Any luck with this issue?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/yet-another-cant-ping-hostname-title-but-different.163897/
Relevancy 18.92%

I have three Macbook Pros and two PCs at home. When the PCs are connected to the WiFi the internet slows down for just the MacBooks. When the Macbooks are on and not the PCs they run at fast speed. Is there a way to limit the bandwidth for each device, or would there be something else to do to fix the problem? I need help!

A:Wireless Connection Issues

QoS settings in the router webpage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-connection-issues.199808/
Relevancy 18.06%

HI I read the whole thing but I ve certainly gotten lost in a few parts I believe I have a similar issue I have laptop with windows and it ha dbeen connecting to wifi for almost a year already with no problem all of a sudden for the past few days it started showing the DAMN yellow triangle and its always quot no internet access quot cant surf the web but my iphone and my neighbour who im splitting the bill with are connecting just fine Also when connected to an ethernet cable it works it actually very clearly show the name of my wireless network with the words quot no internet access quot beneath and then the name of the wired network HOME b with the words quot internet access quot beneath and thats how im typing this right now I havent made any changes in the last two days I downloaded Advanced system care driver booster and malware fighter all from IObit but that was last week I dont see why it didnt make the wifi faili right away assuming it was that this just happened days ago the only thing downloaded by my brother was the facebook video callin add on which I uninstall already to rule it out I have ran ipconfig and as far as I understand which is not a lot internet with Laptop no access eveything seems to be in order dhcp is enabled I checked the Laptop with no internet access properties of the network and both the internet protocol TCP IPv and TCP IPv are enabled and set to automatically obtain IP address and DNS server ive tried other things here and there like uninstalling third party applications like apple BONJOUR and uninstalling avg which was expired anyway although it never gave me tha tissue before I also turned off windows firewall for a minute just to see but nothing works as soon as I unplug ethernet and connect to wireless it connects at first without the warning sign but as soon as I try to open a website it appears and fails surfing I dont know what to do I can copy the ipconfig results or anything you d like ONE MORE THING I CAN actually log in to the routers default gateway even while on wireless and no internet access displays Moderator note Moved out this thread - http www techspot com community t gh-ethernet-but-not-wifi post- nbsp

A:Laptop with no internet access

Advance System Care years ago used to be ok but tends to be mainstream and allows third party applications to install on there own if you are not careful. Get rid of anything Iobit related that is al junk I dont care what anybody says I remove it because after careful research Malwarebytes will tell you that it is malware. Anyway sounds like you could have an issue with a virus or malware being what you have downloaded. I would try to run malwarebytes to see if anything comes up if you are not familiar with it here is a link to download it. I understand you do not have internet so you will have to download it to a flash drive and run it on the computer. Post what it finds and we will go from there. If you can wire in and get internet let mek now that also. But it sounds like that wont work either due to the nature of your issue. http://ninite.com/malwarebytes/

Also what I would do is try to attempt a system restore back to when the first issue came up. That way you might be able to go back in time before the issues but if it is a virus this wont work. Just an idea./

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-with-no-internet-access.199753/
Relevancy 18.06%

Recently I pulled a dell dimension 5150 out of my basement, dusted it off and got it running again with xp sp2 (I only had the installation disk for that one). With one exception. I'm using an Ethernet cable going directly to my router and it says that I'm connected to 1394 at 400.0 Mbps (which I found to be rather surprising) but I cant activate my windows (I wiped the hard drive and re-installed) or access internet explorer so that I can get chrome. If you need any other information please let me know. I am currently posting this from my current computer which has wireless and is working fine.

EDIT: I am posting this from my current computer which has wifi

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-ethernet-connected-but-i-cant-access-the-internet.199726/
Relevancy 34.83%

Hi,

My wife is pestering me to buy her a 10" tablet, which she'll use for surfing, watching videos, etc, and I wondered if anyone can please help me decide a good one for her. I never really delved into tablets before, myself being more of a desktop PC person. I decided to get her something Android based because it iPad seems to have its limitations.

What should I look out for when choosing a tablet? What version of Android, processor, CPU, RAM, storage capacity and screen resolution should I be looking for, do they all take SD cards or a means of data transfer, etc. She also wants the option to attach a keyboard to it. With regard to internal storage, I heard it's partitioned on some models so apps can only be installed in one partition and the other is for photos, documents, videos, media, etc; what minimum partiton size should we be looking at for installing apps nowadays. Can anyone recommend any models we should be considering?

Thanks.

A:What 10" tablet for my missus?

To make this simple. What Operating System you have on your PC or your wife PC. Should stick to what you have so you already know how to use it on the tablet.

Windows Users get Windows tablet
Surface RT, Pro, 2nd Gen (remember these cost more)
DELL has one for $299 8-inch. You wanted a 10-inch.

Now some Windows users have Android tablets because at the time there was much of choice even though Windows XP Tablet and Windows 7 Tablet options where available. Android tablets were used more.

If your both are on MAC apple get the iPAD 9.7-inch 4:3 ratio tablet. They do have 7-inch again 4:3 ratio tablet.

I have one Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit dual core 9.7-inch 4:3 ratio tablet. I use the touch pen with mine it's the same one for the iPad. Surface tablets uses digitize pen with 2 AAA batters inside.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-10-tablet-for-my-missus.199527/
Relevancy 18.92%

I have been playing battlefield 4 and I keep getting disconnected from servers due to a large ammount of packets being used I tested this myself though there system performance tool in bf4 what causes packet loss and how can I fix this

A:Battlefield 4 connection issues

Make sure you have the latest patches for BF4, they will make a HUGE difference in how BF4 runs on the PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/battlefield-4-connection-issues.198914/
Relevancy 18.92%

OK, so I have a stable network connection through my modem at all times and of which is currently hard wired to my desk top. Every hour or so I seem to lose connection to the internet through my pc but the modem still shows a stable signal (online light stays on) I run the trouble shooter for internet and get nothing most times so I end up having to re-boot the pc to get connection back. I'm not the most tech savy so any suggestions on how to get this fixed step by step instructions would be VERY helpful !

A:Internet connection issue

First I would try replacing the Ethernet cable being used to connect the modem & PC. Next, if there are other "LAN" ports in the modem, plug into a different port. After that I would try pinging the default gateway (ip address of the modem) with an infinite ping and watch to see if there are dropped packets. if there are multiple dropped packets, then it could be a bad network card in the PC or a bad port in the modem.

to infinite ping, open the command prompt and type the following:

ping <ip address of modem> -t (c:\ping 192.168.1.1 -t)

to make the ping stop press: Control C look at the results and see if you have dropped packets. Here's a look at mine after 10 pings

C:\>ping 192.168.10.1 -t

Pinging 192.168.10.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.10.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.10.1:
Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
Control-C
^C
C:\>
Hope this helps, post back!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-connection-issue.199470/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone might have an idea how to fix this.

I regularly plug in my laptop to my television to game or work and have had no issues other than some colors being slightly different. I played with the color settings and got it close, but the tweaker in me remembered reading that some people were getting more true color using the ycbcr444 color display settings. However, I didn't realize that my television does not support this format and now am unable to revert it back.

Is anyone aware of a way to do a full reset of the Nvidia control panel settings? I can't switch the color display modes for the external monitor if I do not have one plugged in, so this becomes a catch-22

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/format-not-supported-plight-of-rgb-and-ycbcr444.199275/
Relevancy 17.63%

I've a wired network at home like this:

Code:
Internet
|
ADSL Router
|
Dlink Switcher
|
I'm going to buy a new tablet (ASUS MeMO Pad Smart 10), which supports internet through wifi. I was wondering how can I share the internet access with the new device? What new devices should I buy and what changes are required to my network setup?

Thanks in advance.

A:How to share wired Internet access with WiFi device

I figured it out, I need an AP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-share-wired-internet-access-with-wifi-device.199110/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi this is my first thread here on Techspot I ve been wanting to find other people in the area that are interested in overclocking as in area overclockers for Myrtle the Looking Beach well I ve been overclocking since the AthlonXP to my current i K I ve now reached the point where I now need to take the next step in to extreme overclocking delidding L N Dry Ice and would prefer to meet up with others that have experience in these areas as well as just meet new people that have the same interest Personally I ve always been big on breaking DMark records My current build holds the record for Firestrike not extreme with a Core i K and GTX and rd Looking for overclockers in the Myrtle Beach area place for Extreme settings I spent hours trying to get the nd place spot on extreme and to get first I ll need to push the CPU over Ghz which I can t do on air or water Since everyone has their own talents I thought it d be fun to recruit a team and see what we can come up with Plus I may be able to help push your hardware further So if anyone lives in the area and is interested please hit me up nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-overclockers-in-the-myrtle-beach-area.199049/
Relevancy 34.4%

I'm looking to upgrade from my 24" 1920x1200. I tried to play games on my 55" TV and it just didn't feel right. I play mostly FPS like BF4

A:Does anyone here game on a 30" 2560x1600 monitor

I game on a 100Hz+ 27in 2560x1440 Qnix QX2710. The extra pixels and the higher framerates are excellent for FPS gaming, and for the price you can't get much better. A quick google will show up lots of useful threads if you're interested.

I wouldn't get a 30in 2560x1600 monitor just for gaming, they are very expensive and more aimed towards graphics/design professionals rather than gamers. Things you're paying a premium for such as a wide gamut won't be useful and indeed might be detrimental as a gaming and general use monitor.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/does-anyone-here-game-on-a-30-2560x1600-monitor.198467/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hey,
I woke up on May 10th 2013 & when it started up my laptop I saw this.

I was a bit scared, but I decided to run the following programs:
Mbam (AV)
DSKCHK
Disk cleanup
Disk defragmenter
Scan disk (SCR-scanow)
AVG tuneup
AVG (AV)
MSE (AV)
Restore point.
I do not know what happened, but I have posted on several other forums, but no answer.
Thanks,
Danawesome.

A:Repeated "bad image" error (think it's something to do w/laptop)

Did you fix this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/repeated-bad-image-error-think-its-something-to-do-w-laptop.198178/
Relevancy 18.92%

I have multiple devices setup through the same connection. In the past the all got about 18mbps download. The other devices still get that but one device now maxes out between 35mbps. I haven't changed any hardware or software. It is a Windows 7 machine. Any ideas?

A:Why would one computer have a slow internet connection?

Are all wired?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/why-would-one-computer-have-a-slow-internet-connection.198453/
Relevancy 18.92%

I recently built a new PC and have formatted the PC completely just two days ago Mobo - Sabertooth FX Rev Ram - G Skill GB Dual GB CPU - FX- amp H i PSU - AX i Small WD Red TB raid amp Crucial M GB GPU - HD sigh - Still using How problem? I pinpoint my can connection this from last pc build New Asus optical How can I pinpoint my connection problem? drive Using the Optical connection for audio Running windows on the SSD BT Infinity Package - Meg up Meg down - BT Home Hum - Firmware Version Type A The problem I am having is this Occasionally my internet will stop loading Web pages will load sort of then stop half way Sometimes it refuses to load past the white screen Sometimes I am disconnected from quot Some quot of my messengers on Trillian At first I thought it might be the websites being a little bit dodgy but it has become a little more frequent now I have heard it is possible to manually detect where the connection problems lay by using the command prompt however I am having difficulty finding a guide on such tasks How can I pinpoint the connection problems I am having Thanks for reading nbsp

A:How can I pinpoint my connection problem?

There are three separate issues:
[a-] tcp connectivity, [b-] dns resolution and [c-] website responses.

On [a-] TCP, the sequence goes like this:

ping 127.0.0.1 (proving the adaptor is working)
ping your ip address (see results of ipconfig)
ping your router (it's the gateway address shown in ipconfig /all)
ping your ISP gateway address (something like http://www.whatismyip.com/ is silly as you may have real issues and can't access that site at all. Instead, log into your router and get the wan-side gateway ip)
ping your DNS addresses shown in ipconfig /all
This much tells you if your system TCP and ISP access are sane and responding properly.
btw: ping responds with lines like​Reply from 71.74.42.238: bytes=32 time=86ms TTL=53​and the time is what to watch. Times < 100ms are great and times >300ms are concerning (and certainly > 1000 is deplorable).​
On [b-] we test dns resolution (transforming a domain name to an IP address) using
nslookup google.com​which (especially for this monster) can have a multiple line reply. Techspot.com looks like
nslookup techspot.com​Server: blah blah​Address: one-of-your-dns-addresses​​Non-authoritative answer:​Name: techspot.com​Address: 50.22.252.218​For [c-] we need to see the ip address
nslookup techspot.com​and then reverse the question; what's the domain name?
nslookup 50.22.252.218​...​Name: techspot04.techspot.com​Address: 50.22.252.218​So we prove the domain -> ip and ip ->domain

Now ping the site (ping techspot.com) and watch the times.
If they are all reasonable, great but if not use this
pathping techspot.com​and you will have to wait for the results
See this topic for an bad example of network reliability (notice ping times are very high and node-2-node backbone packets are timing out.

If you're into website performance issues, you can explore a site using this, but will have no means to impact the results.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-pinpoint-my-connection-problem.198448/
Relevancy 18.49%

I have a personal computer at the boarding school I attend Access Limited an Asus G VW and whenever I try to connect to the main internet connection it says limited access I have also tried using Ethernet and it says unidentified network with the Ethernet Here is my IPCONFIG ALL below I also have Windows if that helps --------------------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows Version c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Herman gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name ASUS Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List cefpub local Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter Physical Address E- -DE- E-FC- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description VPN Tunnel Adapter Physical Address -FF- B- - B- E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Ethernet Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Anchorfree HSS VPN Adapter Physical Address -FF- -F - D- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address DC- -DE- E-FC- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi Connection-specific DNS Suffix cefpub local Description Qualcomm Atheros AR WB-EG Wireless Net work Adapter Physical Address DC- -DE- E-FC- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe cc ba c f fc Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday December PM Lease Expires Monday December PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -EE- B-E -DC- -DE- E-FC- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Ethernet Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire Limited Access net Description Qualcomm Atheros AR PCI-E Gigabit Eth ernet Controller NDIS Physical Address - - D-EB-AA- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap cefpub local Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix cefpub local Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address d abd a e ef f dd Prefer red Link-local IPv Address fe a e ef f dd Preferred Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -EE- B-E -DC- -DE- E-FC- NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled C Users Herman gt nbsp

A:Limited Access

Well its probably the school network, do you have to register the machine with the network and enter passcodes etc. That sounds like it maybe the issue.

Also I would take down that stuff you posted with your subnet, IP, etc, its alot of personal information about your PC thats a little too much if you catch my drift.

Back on subject, I would first check if you have to register it or something first, then we can go from there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-access.198300/
Relevancy 18.92%

Need help reinstallintg a wifi connection onto my toshiba laptop M115 S1061. I already downloaded a driver and went through the installation wizard and it still is not working. Please Help, I will be eagerly waiting a response

A:Installing wifi connection on my laptop

Is there by chance a switch on the laptop you need to turn on?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-wifi-connection-on-my-laptop.198286/
Relevancy 18.49%

I was setting up a DVR to be accessed from outside a restaurants network They purchased a static IP address I ve set these up a half dozen times before usually with no-ip org this was my first time that a client ports All connection IP Static refuse connections - actually bought a static line so I thought it would be easier So I setup Static IP connection - All ports refuse connections my router an old wrt Linksys with all the correct static IP and DNS Static IP connection - All ports refuse connections info Setup port forwarding and tried to connect from my phone s internet connection using a laptop No luck So I set the laptop as the port forward address and ran a portscan from a website and checked the port individually from canyouseeme org Both said quot Refused connection Static IP connection - All ports refuse connections quot or a derivation there-of The scan showed this for all ports I disabled the firewall and set the laptop as DMZ and still got this message on every port I checked I then plugged the laptop directly to the modem SURFBOARD SBG and entered the static IP info into the network adapter settings Internet connection worked fine but still kept getting quot refused connection quot I then spent an hour on the phone with Brighthouse Networks as they tested everything on their end and inside the modem which is actually a modem router but they wouldn t give me the login and pass to check it myself They said the problem must be on my end and that they do not block ports except and or something like that Connected directly to the modem and still getting this problem even after several reset attempts on the modem I can t think of what to do next I even set it to pickup the network automatically as the modem router has a dhcp server in it While it could still connect to the internet all ports still refused connections I m stumped Any help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Static IP connection - All ports refuse connections

Figured it out. As always when it doesn't make sense it's because theres' more than one thing wrong. The router's port forwarding wasn't working, and I had forgotten to disable to laptops firewall and I guess windows 8 has a more sensitive firewall than 7. So plugged in the DVR directly with the static IP info typed in and worked like a charm.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/static-ip-connection-all-ports-refuse-connections.198062/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hi I have the same problem message quot An Operation was attempted on something that is not a socket quot etc appeared Also my Node Type is unknown I tried all steps mentioned above and I never made it to have Node Type hybrid It appears to be unknown even after adding node type and value And about this quot You should see a complete set of TCP values and using IP problems connection Limited with release/renew the command Prompt ping nslookup quot I got something completely different it says for nslookup that default server is not available server unknown cant find server for address etc Any idea how can I try to fix Limited connection with IP release/renew problems problem It all started with Limited connection with IP release/renew problems IP address conflict Once it was solved thanx to this cmd netsh int ip reset resetlog txt netsh winsock Limited connection with IP release/renew problems reset catalog But it does not work any more It shows that local area network is connected and there is still message about IP address conflict Many thanks in advance Moderator note Moved from this thread http www techspot com community topics limited-connection-with-ip-release-renew-problems nbsp

A:Limited connection with IP release/renew problems

It's a little difficult to pin down what your problem is without knowledge of your network and router setup, but IP collisions and connection issues that get fixed temporarily with release and renew are usually related to misconfigured DHCP settings. Such as when two routers are distributing IP addresses to the same range of systems, or when some devices list static IP address, or sometimes if a wireless device is also plugged in with a network cable, claiming the same IP address with both connections.

if you ping those google dns addresses (8.8.8.8, or 8.8.6.6) and you get errors instead of replies it just means your not connecting to the internet.

Like I said though this is generic stuff and no one will be able to be more specific until you describe a bit about your overall network layout, and types of connections.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-connection-with-ip-release-renew-problems.197582/
Relevancy 19.35%

Every time I try to connect to the internet, I get a message saying can't find iertutil.dll try re-installing iertutil.dll this may fix the problem , can anyone help. fishbird

A:No internet connection

First off what Os are you running? This is dll is a run time utlity for IE. You are most likely going to have to run a repair on windows or you can also try using a system restore. From a time when everything was working fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-internet-connection.197885/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello. I've got a basic problem I guess: I messed up with the Realtek microphone settings and selected "Set Default Device". I tried to fix it but I kinda destroyed my mic. - friends tell me they can hear me like I'm closer to them and they hear me worse than before. I just need to unset the Set Default Device thingy but I don't really know how.. any idea?

A:Realtek Microphone "Set Default Device"

Try doing a system restore to a previous time in which this was working correctly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realtek-microphone-set-default-device.197750/