Windows Support Forum

VISTA Ultimate Upgrade Reboots with Memory Upgrade to 3 GB

Q: VISTA Ultimate Upgrade Reboots with Memory Upgrade to 3 GB

I have a home built ASUS A7N8X2 Deluxe MoBo with an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ CPU. I upgraded Win XP Pro to VISTA Ultimate with no problems other than upgrading a few drivers. It went smoothly. At the time I had 1 GB in one of 3 available slots. I attempted to add 2 GB more to occupy all 3 slots. This produced a reboot after POST as VISTA started. I rotated the the modules through all slots and finally realized that when I went beyond 2 GB it produced a reboot. During post it tests 3 GB and the BIOS displays 3 GB. I have 512MB of RAM on the video card. Any suggestions ?? I am running the latest BIOS and if I remove one GB the machine boots and runs great... ???? Ron

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: VISTA Ultimate Upgrade Reboots with Memory Upgrade to 3 GB

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 91.45%

As seen here at http forums techguy org windows-vista -vista-ultimate-upgrade-reboots-memory- html with the title quot VISTA Ultimate Upgrade Reboots with Memory Upgrade to GB quot I have the same exact problem I have an nForce chipset motherboard and it can handle GB of RAM GB in each slot I put in GB GB in each slot and it was fine but when I put anything Upgrade Over Memory with 2 Installed VISTA Ultimate Reboots GB over that amount such as MB or MB more then Vista won t boot It just gives me the black screen of death and the next time it just reboots It also won t enter safe mode I have tested my memory with Memtest overnight and it is fine I have no power supply issues No overheating problems All temperatures are fine The only thing I see is that Vista does not VISTA Ultimate Upgrade Reboots with Installed Memory Over 2 GB have the driver for the quot SM Bus Controller quot I don t see how that would affect the RAM issue though as that is only for quot standby quot and quot screensaver quot which I don t use I tried Windows XP and it works just fine with more than GB of RAM but not Vista If I use only GB of RAM then Windows Vista runs just fine I had read that nVidia warned people not to VISTA Ultimate Upgrade Reboots with Installed Memory Over 2 GB use GB of RAM if it is pc DDR and the remedy is to either use VISTA Ultimate Upgrade Reboots with Installed Memory Over 2 GB pc or slower OR lower the speed of the memory to or MHz in the BIOS I always run my memory at the same speed as the FSB of my Duron processor which is MHz MHz to keep the ratio and get better performance as it is recommended not to run RAM asynchronously Anyway Vista won t run with more than GB of RAM on the nVidia nForce motherboard but XP will This must be a problem with Vista I am using Vista Ultimate bit with Service Pack I even tried to install the hotfixes from Microsoft and it says I already have them installed It must have been included with Service Pack I have no idea what to do I really appreciate any advice and help Thank you Regards Paul nbsp

Relevancy 89.01%

Hi Vista Will UPGRADE UPGRADE ULTIMATE New NOT Am New Vista ULTIMATE UPGRADE Will NOT UPGRADE trying to install AN UPGRADE TO ULTIMATE on a Bit System running Vista Premium amp SP My brand new UPGRADE is REFUSING to UPGRADE IN PLACE It says quot New Vista ULTIMATE UPGRADE Will NOT UPGRADE Upgrade has been disabled The upgrade cannot be started To upgrade cancel the installation then choose to upgrade to a version of Windows that is more recent than the version you are currently running quot HUH This pc is months old amp running Windows Home Premium I am SURE I MADE NO MISTAKES The Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor has confirmed ULTIMATE for this pc BOTH Anti-Virus Programs were disabled etc BECAUSE I could NOT INSTALL I am NOT ELIGIBLE for the FREE Day Support Feature This is a BRAND NEW SOFTWARE PURCHASE amp WAS EXPENSIVE I HOPE SOMEONE AT WINDOWS CAN HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM Thank-You p s I do not know if the quot Clean Install quot works or not ONLY THAT THE UPGRADE INSTALL WILL NOT I NEED the UPGRADE INSTALLATION amp according to the package amp all other data- MY PC IS ELIGIBLE TO THE UPGRADE So I am very concerned- to say the least

A:New Vista ULTIMATE UPGRADE Will NOT UPGRADE

Hello goldenDragon1,
The best way to install any Windows is a clean install, i would backup all the bits i want to keep to another HDD or disk and do a clean install, there is less chance of encountering any errors. The reason you cant "upgrade" could be because the Ultimate disk, although a better version of Vista, is an older copy than the one it's trying to replace. Hope this helps. Good luck.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/234069-new-vista-ultimate-upgrade-will-not-upgrade.html
Relevancy 86%

So my motherboard fried and i had to get a new one and when my board failed it crashed my hard drive. After I installed my new mobo, it was bsod looping on startup and wouldn't repair so I tried reinstalling 7 as it was my current os and it wouldnt work as it is an upgrade cd. I tried installing vista which came with my pc and it gets stuck at 0%. I then put xp on and upgraded to vista from xp. Now i have a working vista ultimate 32 bit os but it wont upgrade to 7 and yes it is compatible as I had it before my hard drive crash. It goes up to copying files at 35% and freezes for a while until I get an error code: 0x80070017 Please help!!! Thanks!

P.S. I bought my windows 7 cd not downloaded it.

A:Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit upgrade from vista ultimate gets stuck on 35%

Bump :( I really need help plz!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-ultimate-32-bit-upgrade-from-vista-ultimate-gets-stuck-on-35-a-492715.html
Relevancy 86%

This was an upgrade not a wiped custom install Machine is Intel desktop ASUS 64 ultimate from froze to upgrade win7 ultimate 64 vista P Q motherboard Intel Core Quad Q GHz Install from USB flash drive using MS dlownload manager executable because I have not received the backup CD media as yet I ordered online from MS Website because local retailer did not have it Install attempt on evening of froze at point of requesting entry of Product Key as I learned of the next morning USB wireless mouse and keyboard became non-functioning Forced power down so I could go to work Next evening power on to the same frozen display Powered down again and removed and disconnected all USB devices and audio connections Power on to reboot but boot is not successful even in Safe modes nor last known good version of OS Attached is my documented sequence of events upgrade from vista ultimate 64 to win7 ultimate 64 froze and hardware details What is my next move I do not want to have to do a clean install Continue Win install but wait until I receive CD from MS Revert to Vista by reloading from Vista CD

A:upgrade from vista ultimate 64 to win7 ultimate 64 froze

The latest: here it is Geb 20th of 2010 and I have long since abandoned attempting to resolve this failed Win7 upgrade. I have lost too much of my valuable time and lost the use of my primary business PC. It has been sitting in powered down state since mid-december. I even requested a refund from MS but they said no, more than 30 days had passed. To continue the business, I purchased a laptop with XP Pro and rebuilt or reloaded everything from backup storage.

Who has time to monkey around with software that does not work and or won't even install!!!

I was very dissatisfied with the Vista Ultimate OS I had been using for the previous year, but even more disappointed when the Win7 upgrade failed to even complete the install!!!

I plan to stick with the proven XP Pro OS on the new laptop plus the iMac for as long as possible; I'm done with Microsoft and their troublesome faulty software.

My patience has run out!!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/upgrade-from-vista-ultimate-64-to-win7-ultimate-64-froze-433724.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I'm trying to upgrade a computer from Vista Ultimate (32 bit) to 7 Ultimate (32 bit) and I keep receiving this error message:

"This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. For more information, check your computer's system information. To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc, and then select Custom (advanced)."

Now, I double-checked all the system requirements and the system is compatible with 7.

Help?

A:Trouble upgrade from Vista Ultimate(32) - 7 Ultimate 32

TS, welcome to the forums
What is the origin of the disk you are using? Can it be corrupted?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/32226-trouble-upgrade-vista-ultimate-32-7-ultimate-32-a.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I've tried to to Ultimate During 7 BSOD Ultimate from Vista upgrade upgrade from Vista Ultimate bit to Ultimate bit numerous times now all with the same result a BSOD during the install process which I get during what I think is the final step called quot Transferring files settings and programs quot The installation compatibility test warns me about my Nvidia drivers which I've attempted to both remove and upgrade to the latest version but that doesn't seem to make a difference I still get the warning during the compatibility check and I still get the blue screen I'm not sure that's even the problem either I can't easily remove replace the video card since my mobo doesn't have BSOD During upgrade from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate onboard video so I'd hopefully be able to avoid having to do that The error in the blue screen is a nebulous quot REFERENCE BY POINTER quot message The technical information is quot STOP x x x x xFFFFFFFF quot As a zip file I've attached the setup log error log compatibility report and what I think BSOD During upgrade from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate is the setup dump file all of which I found in C WINDOWS BT Sources Panther I believe that's the right place to look The logs complain about BthMig problems which I think has something to do with bluetooth but I don't have any bluetooth peripherals I've uninstalled things that I thought might have some bluetooth things in it like MS Intellitype maybe a stretch but again no difference System specs AMD Athlon X on an Asus M N SLI Deluxe with GB of ram and an Nvidia GeForce GT The hard drive I'm installing upgrading on has about GB free If anyone could help point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it a great deal Thanks in advance Moskie

A:BSOD During upgrade from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate

Greetings! Moskie and Welcome to the Se7en Forums!

On one quick look at the "REFERENCE_BY_POINTER" error that seems to go back as far as Win 2000 there. STOP: 0x00000018 (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) REFERENCE_BY_

Quote:
Error Message:
STOP: 0x00000018 (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) REFERENCE_BY_POINTER
Explanation:

This is a Windows 2000 Executive character-mode STOP message. This indicates that a failure occurred while referencing an object by what should have been a referenced pointer.
User Action:

If this is the first time you have booted after installing new hardware, remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the hardware and its drivers are compatible with Windows 2000. For information about the hardware, contact the supplier. If you are installing Windows 2000 for the first time, check the Windows 2000 system requirements, including the amount of RAM and disk space required to load the operating system. Also, check the Hardware Compatibility List to verify that the system can run Windows 2000. If Windows 2000 is loaded and no new hardware has been installed, reboot with recovery options set to create a dump file. If the message continues to appear, select the Last Known Good option when you reboot. If there is no Last Known Good configuration, try using the Emergency Repair Disk. If you do not have an Emergency Repair Disk, contact your technical support group.

Another reference that seems to be unavailble at MSDN is supposed to be at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...kmsgs/1139.asp "0x00000018: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER" listed at Troubleshooting Windows STOP Messages

The latest MS information however dated Oct. 1, 2009 is seen on the MSDN page at Bug Check 0x18: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER which refers to an unspecified driver calling a kernel routine as described there.

You may have to deinstall all addon device drivers or perform a full custom install if this can't be resolved for an upgrade. The one thing that seems to stand out in the setuper.log is the "2009-10-11 17:39:22, Warning MIG Failed to retrieve cached user domain name from the blackboard." item as well as the frequent "26, Info MIG No culture names found under folder (C:\Windows\system32\*.*" items that repeat frequently.

One more is "2009-10-11 18:00:42, Warning [0x080386] MIG Failure while instantiating IPostGather for Plugin={ServerPath="Microsoft-Windows-BTH-USER\bthmigplugin.dll", CLSID={e0cbf06c-cd8b-4647-bb8a-263b43f0f974}, ThreadingModel=Apartment}. Error: 0x80004002".

The last seen most is "2009-10-11 18:25:14, Warning [0x080329] MIG Cannot find file: X:\Users\(edited out)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Stationery\*.*".

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/28668-bsod-during-upgrade-vista-ultimate-7-ultimate.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I imagine I can get the Vista Ultimate Upgrade version and upgrade my XP Pro OEM installation, but when I build a new PC, will the fact that my upgraded copy of XP being an OEM version prevent me from using the Vista upgrade? I know that OEM copies are SUPPOSED to be tied to one pc and never be transfered, but I will only be using my Vista license on a single machine, and when I build the new one, my old machine will be getting the XP Pro reinstalled onto it. Does anyone know for sure? Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 82.13%

hi all,, i got third prize in the 1 mil draw (thanks bc),,, now,, i have vista home prem sp1 installed,,, my pc is a HP with a recovery partition on the hdd,,,,
do i have to format and install the ultimate
or will it install over the top of home prem
will i still have the recovery partition and will it be now ultimate
or do i have to create a partition and clean install ultimate and make a recovery partition on the hdd,,,
i have all my stuff backed up to my external hdd, i have reinstalled the vista and xp os on pc's many times but never upgraded one,,, its always been the same os going back into the pc,,, im stumped,,,lol
i would be very greatfull for any help,,, thank you all.
Ian.

A:UPGRADE TO VISTA ULTIMATE

hi,,,me again,,, it seems that you can do it,,, an in place upgrade from home prem to ultimate,,, will this also change the recovery partition to ultimate or will this still be home prem, and you have to do an in place upgrade again after a recovery i wonder.here's a link to a forum i found,,, intresting bit by Orev about all vista discs being the same,,, its the product key that decides which version to install,,, never knew that.http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=113123another intresting link here by the same fella,,,http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=120228i would be glad of any help or info about the recovery partition as mentioned above,,,,,, thanks all.Ian.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/181252/upgrade-to-vista-ultimate/
Relevancy 82.13%

Ok I'll try and make this short I originally purchased Vista Home premium bit upgrade waaaaaayyyy back when I then purchased an update to ultimate online Then I decided to order the bit dvd's Vista upgrade 64 Ultimate in from Microsoft and this is where the fun began With home premium the ultimate upgrade i Ultimate upgrade in Vista 64 purchased installs fine no problems I install x vista home premium and it works fine but I cannot upgrade it to ultimate IT makes it about then chokes and says something could not be upgraded I have tried stripping the system to just a video card and a hd nothing helps Does anyone know a way i can use the upgrade i payed way too much for And before you ask i have the bit upgrade dvd System Asus Formula Mb Intel gig duo Gig ddr sb XI-Fi Fatality Hauppauge tuner Nvidia gt meg asus dvd burners assundry hard drives all sata as well as the dvd burners color me lost

A:Ultimate upgrade in Vista 64

Hi,

It sounds like the x64 Ultimate upgrade disc is damaged - get a new one from microsoft here is the link

How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs and product upgrades, and replace product manuals

Hope this works for you

SIW2

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/179213-ultimate-upgrade-vista-64-a.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron that came with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit. I purchased the upgrade for Windows Vista Ultimate and installed it (64 Bit) without realizing that some of my important software will not run on the 64 bit version, but will run on the 32 bit version. My question is....how do I replace the 64 bit upgrade with the 32 bit upgrade? Is that possible?

Also....my new system, when rebooted, says that my parameters are incorrect. How do I fix those?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

A:Vista ultimate upgrade

hi and welcome i dont think you can use an upgrade disc as you need to do a clean install of 32bit

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-ultimate-upgrade-353378.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Is it possible to upgrade my Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit without a reformat? I really don't want to have to go and deal with the PITA backups and reinstallation of programs... I looked around the net and got distracted by my 64-bit version of Windows 7 (which got me thinking "Damn it, now I need more RAM) before I could find any answers...

A:Upgrade Vista Ultimate 32-bit to 64-bit.

You cant upgrade from 32 to 64bit

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/203456-upgrade-vista-ultimate-32-bit-64-bit.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Will Win7 Home Premium upgrade a Vista Ultimate install? If not, what is the next upgrade version will work?

I have Vista Ultimate and will not purchase Win7 Ultimate or whatever it is called.

Thnx.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/upgrade-vista-ultimate-438608.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Help Please!!!
Can I upgrade/reinstall Vista Ultimate OEM 32 bit to Vista Ultimate 64 bit using the Upgrade CD's that I purchased? What are the steps that I need to follow?
Thank you,
David

A:Upgrade Vista Ultimate 32 Bit to X64 ???

Welcome
It is easy, you must format and follow these easy instructions, which include the format procedure
Clean Install From Upgrade Vista

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/294904-upgrade-vista-ultimate-32-bit-x64.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello everyone,

I am new here in the forum. I just bought a new desktop with a Vista Ultimate x64 Operating System. I am just wondering if anyone can answer my question if I can upgrade my RAM from 4Gb to 8Gb.

I am using:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor.Intel Desktop Board DP35DP Media Series with Intel P35 Express Chipset and 4 slots for PC-6400 RAM (I already have 2 x 2Gb PC-6400 RAM Card).Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit Operating System.I would really appreciate if someone help me on this matter. Thanks.

A:Can i upgrade my RAM from 4Gb to 8Gb with Vista Ultimate x64 OS?

you can if your motherboard will let you.
scrooge

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/175590-can-i-upgrade-my-ram-4gb-8gb-vista-ultimate-x64-os.html
Relevancy 82.13%

About hours ago I started the Vista Ultimate Upgrade from my previous XP Home and XP Upgrade Ultimate Vista to all was going dandy until I hit the completing upgrade part I hit about and then XP to Vista Ultimate Upgrade it went for the normal restart but nothing happened it just kept on restarting again and again I tried messing with the BIOS and making it boot from the CD or HDD and apparently my keyboard doesn t load when my computer is starting This poses quite a problem as I can t boot from the CD Answer to my initial dual-boot situation as I couldn t access partition utility but decided to go for it and just fully upgrade So now I m stuck in some wicked loop of constant restarts and I have no idea what else to do I ve tried to enter the Easy Boot Sequence deal where I can choose CD HDD Removable but since my keyboard doesn t work on boot I am now frozen and must again restart I tried another USB keyboard that didn t work and also tried my old Dell PS keyboard which also didn t work Is there any way to fix this at all myself or do I need to get a new keyboard or something Please help Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 82.13%

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron that came with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit. I purchased the upgrade for Windows Vista Ultimate and installed it (64 Bit) without realizing that some of my important software will not run on the 64 bit version, but will run on the 32 bit version. My question is....how do I replace the 64 bit upgrade with the 32 bit upgrade? Is that possible?

Also....my new system, when rebooted, says that my parameters are incorrect. How do I fix those?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

A:Vista Ultimate Upgrade

It's my well-considered guess that there is no going back to 32-bit after the 64-bit installation since you essentially did a compete install of a different OS. I think you're going to need your recovery DVDs or an image of the 32 bit version you may have made in order to go back to 32-bit with a new install.

As far as the parameters error goes, did the drive letters for the hard drives and removable storage drives get switched around with the upgrade? If so, that may be what its complaining about. I had something like that and I had to chage the drive letters back to what they were previous to the changes I made.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-ultimate-upgrade.806976/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi to all I am deep in it was upgradeing to 7 ultimate just got started and the dvd opened for some reason so all i'm left with is the screen lights up thats it do not know where to go next even if i could do a clean format would be great as i backed up before trying to upgrade please help
thanks Snippy

A:I was trying to upgrade from Vista Ultimate

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I hope these help you..

Clean Install with a Full Version of Vista

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/289614-i-trying-upgrade-vista-ultimate.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Would I be eligible to receive a Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade? I know if I were to buy the Vista Ultimate full version, I'd be eligible for a W7 Upgrade but what about the Ultimate Upgrade version? I'm currently a student and I can get Vista Ultimate Upgrade for $65 via Microsoft's ultimate steal deal. I'd get that now if I knew I could get W7 Ultimate Upgrade free (or $10 shipping/handling). I'd also like to know if I'd actually get the boxed version since I hate disk sleeves.

A:So if I were to buy Vista Ultimate Upgrade now...

No it does not qualify for the Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/16684-so-if-i-were-buy-vista-ultimate-upgrade-now.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Is it worth upgrading to Ultimate? I currently have premium. If its worth the upgrade I don't mind paying the $160.

A:Vista Ultimate Upgrade

for the most part - no. I have both and imo, there was no need to get the ultimate. see this for the extras. If you think you need them, get it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-ultimate-upgrade-217338.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum as well as Vista,but my Toshiba lappy came with home premium installed. MS had a program that asked users of Vista and Xp to allow them to track user's web travels to help improve the OS. I agreed in return for a free copy to upgrade to Ultimate. They sent me both 64bit and 32bit versions. In trying to upgre to Ult32bit, my lappy grts half way through the upgrade and fails with no explanition given. I cintacted MS and found I had to unistall Vista SP1, upgrade and then re=install SP1. I tried this and the upgrade still fails...Can anyone give me a suggestion?

Thanx, Cyboid

A:Can't upgrade to Vista Ultimate!

So, you manually uninstalled Sp1 from you Home Premium and the upgrade fails?

It might also be driver related. Honestly, I'd back all your data up, then revert it to factory installs, and upgrade.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/170768-cant-upgrade-vista-ultimate.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Gday

I have a Vista Ultimate OEM currently installed on a PC, I am getting another Windows 7 retail soon.

Can I use just the Windows 7 upgrade as opposed to a clean install?

A:Vista Ultimate OEM upgrade to Windows 7

You want to always do a clean install, an upgrade just hides the old problems with a new OS. You will have problems with an upgrade.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/112356-vista-ultimate-oem-upgrade-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I currently have Windows Vista Ultimate on my Sony Vaio laptop. My company offers 64 bit Windows 7 Enterprise for free but not Windows 7 Ultimate.

I don't know much about Enterprise but can I upgrade my OS with it? Or do I need to shell out the $$$ to buy Windows 7 Ultimate?

A:Can i go upgrade Vista Ultimate to 7 Enterprise?

I assume that your company offers the full version. If so you can install it on your machine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/40276-can-i-go-upgrade-vista-ultimate-7-enterprise.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I just prurchased the vista ultimate upgrade to upgrade my xp version. The xp was a sp2 version and i tried to install the upgrade 32 version. the install started fine until the computer had to restart. once the restart happened the screen went blue with ***stop: 0x0000005c (0x0000010B, 0x00000003, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) showing. What do I do?

A:vista upgrade ultimate problems

It might be you need a bios upgrade from your manufacturer - see this thread - last post

0X0000005C eeeerrrrrrr this makes my head hurt,help.

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/230942-vista-upgrade-ultimate-problems.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I have a computer that originally had Vista Home Premium, until I installed a Vista Ultimate upgrade over it. I just got another computer, also pre-installed with Home Premium, but I would like to move my Ultimate upgrade to this new computer. Since I won't need the VU on the old machine anymore, I am thinking of taking it off the old machine and installing my original upgrade disc onto the new one.

Is it possible to uninstall the Vista Ultimate upgrade from the old machine, so it will be returned to Home Premium, without completely wiping the computer?

A:Uninstalling Vista Ultimate Upgrade

Hi Pizzor2000, and welcome to Vista Forums.

If you still have the C:\Windows.old folder from the Vista Home Premium on your Vista Ultimate computer, then you may be able to restore Home Premium. This MS article will show you how to. I would strongly recommend backing up anything that you do not want to lose in case something goes wrong while doing this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933168

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/201938-uninstalling-vista-ultimate-upgrade.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Hey all,

This is my first post here...

I have a dual boot machine with XP Pro & Visat Ultimate 32 currently. I bought the rig from a self-build guy a year ago, Looks like Vista was a bogey copy and I'm being prompted to buy a key (which I have no problem with)

That said, does anyone know WHEN seven becomes available for the public, will there be an edition available so I can just upgrade my Vista 32 and keep all my files / settings etc... ie that I don't have to scrub my hard drive.

Sorry if it's a dumb question!

Thanks in advance!

A:Upgrade from Vista Ultimate 32bit?

Hi Sticker and welcome to the Seven Forums,

Sorry to hear of your problems with the source of your vista, I believe MS do offer assistance to genuine victims of counterfeit copies so you may wish to check that out

back to topic, when is the question on everyone's lips at the moment, but public release is expected towards the end of 2009 or start of 2010. The upgrade path from vista Ultimate to Windows 7 ultimate is a supported upgrade path.

Hope this helps

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/4264-upgrade-vista-ultimate-32bit.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I recently just upgraded from window premium vista 64-bit to ultimate 64-bit vista. WHich took hella long and had tons of restarts. Once it was done all of my old stuff and documents were gone. Also a lot of my programs dont work such as window defender,window colloboration, window movie maker,window dvd maker. When i try to open the file it says the .exe of the file isnt located and i dunno where the file went as i was upgrading. I tried to reinstall defender but it says it doesnt need to since its vista and it comes with it. PLz help i'm not very good with computer stuff .

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-ultimate-upgrade-problem-408581.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi Guys is there anybody who can suggest me how to solve this drama Windows update My Vista Ultimate PC with Sp and after that it did not start anymore only he gave the error xC which is a well known error to solve it they say I have to put Ultimate troubles upgrade Vista my original CD and run upgrade that way all system files will be restored without deleting any program or setting been made but unfortunately my CDs which are one from MSDN and the second is OEM does not have any upgrade choice on other hands the upgrade button is greyed In a forum somebody says I need a Vista anytime upgrade CD but I dont know where to download without paying for it Is there any possibility to enable the ugrade feature in my CDs or may I have a link from somebody to download the Vista Anytime Upgrade I dont want to have any serial or any key only the original CD ISO or Please I am very close to start screaming Many thank to everybody who shoould help me Beppe from ITALIA

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/259885-vista-ultimate-upgrade-troubles.html
Relevancy 81.27%

This info Vista Ultimate Upgrade! To How Install is for Vista Utimate Upgrade Only but quot MAY quot work for other Vista Versions Install XP Activate XP Vista Checks to see if your running a Legal Copy Of XP Install Service Pack Thats all you need to do Issues I had and the fixes Ok I just got off the phone with Microsoft Because I was getting this error message quot x d quot Cant find required file to complete installation So this How To Install Vista Ultimate Upgrade! is the fix Microsoft Sez Create A Folder Called Setup Copy you Vista DVD to the Folder Called Setup Run the Setup exe in the Setup folder To get rid of the error copy the full Vista DVD to a directory called quot Setup quot on to your hard drive If you cant Copy the files to you hard drive because you get an copy error of ANY KIND quot Its your DVD Drive Microsoft DVD s media seems to have a problem with some DVD Drives Thats why you get the quot x d quot Cant find required file to complete installation error message Some people may gave the same problem while making backups to DVD disk I was running a BRAND NEW Sony x DRU- a DVD burner was getting that error So just for fun I had and old NEC X dvd burner and I was able to copy the Vista DVD files to my hard drive with no problem After I copied the Vista DVD to my hard drive I ran the setup and completed the Vista Ultimate Upgrade with no problems Note Microsoft told me If you select a Clean Install quot instead Of quot UPGRADE quot you will have to call Microsoft to have the finish the quot Clean Install quot I ask Microsoft tech support if I could have the info on how to do it and he said he was not allowed to do so IMHO What a load of crap huh Ok well thats it so the trick is to copy the How To Install Vista Ultimate Upgrade! dvd to a folder on your hard drive Lets face it will be a lot faster install off you hard drive that your DVD I hope this info will be some help to most of you Enjoy nbsp

A:How To Install Vista Ultimate Upgrade!

There is actually an easier process that I used and you can try it out. Don't bother installing XP if you want a clean install of Vista. Simply boot from your Vista upgrade disk. Proceed with the installation. When you get to the point where it asks for your code just skip it. After you are finished installing Vista open the DVD and run the install program again. Vista will run the upgrade process but this time use your activation code.

In essence you will upgrade a copy of Vista with a copy of Vista. This was featured in a PC Magazine article recently. The end result is a completely new install of Vista with no left over anything from XP.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-install-vista-ultimate-upgrade.585189/
Relevancy 81.27%

I have a laptop, Thinkpad T42, 2GB ram, and a lot of storage space added. I upgraded from Windows XP to Vista Ultimate,

I got 2 backups, ran and followed the Advisor suggestions, and then upgraded doing it be 'fresh install' because that's what was recommended.

Now - how do I get my programs back, files, Firefox 2.x bookmarks...?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I can see all the files and Programs, just as they were before, however they are shown in a blue color, instead of the new files which are listed in a black color. I tried to restore them, but it seems to be of no luck. Also - the migwiz tool I am having trouble getting to re-install on the same disk - to same disk.

Again - thanks!

A:Vista Ultimate Upgrade - no more old files?

This was Microsoft's answer:

All your files have been lost. Re-install the programs.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-ultimate-upgrade-no-more-old-files-271015.html
Relevancy 81.27%

We see prices for windows 7. The thing i'm wondering is how much does it costs to upgrade vista ultimate to windows 7 ultimate?
I already have vista on my notebook, if price is fair why not to just upgrade to windows 7.
I couldn't see any threads about it that's why i'm asking

A:How much to upgrade vista ultimate to windows 7

I've been wondering the same thing for a long time now, but apparently MS isn't going to do a major discount for genuine (and conned) owners of Vista Ultimate.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/17448-how-much-upgrade-vista-ultimate-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 81.27%

hi
i was wondering was there ever an windows vista ultimate sp2 upgrade iso or no? i been looking around and all the window vista ultimate sp2 iso are full versions.

A:windows vista ultimate sp2 upgrade

There were upgrade disks around for a while if I recall. But you can do anything you want, repair install, upgrade install from the full ISO or do you mean just the service pack alone? It needs SP1 installed first. Copied from my instructions on another forum:

Vista SP1, if not already onboard, should be installed first following the same principles laid out below. The standalone download for that is HERE (x86) and for x64 - HERE. (Change Country at bottom left if necessary)

Vista SP2 Standalone is HERE (x86) and for x64 - HERE. (Change Country at bottom left if necessary)

Or are you asking if Microsoft ever issued an ISO download for Vista including all service packs, no they didn't, only including SP1. To the general public anyway, but they did make available to their MVP's ISO's of the entire thing, Vista including SP1 and 2 and I have it stored in my Cloud storage.

If you care to post your email address, disguised as in abc AT xyz DOT com, I can email you the link. You can then come back here and edit out that information once done. For obvious reasons I don't post it in public.
BTW there's an entire very long thread about this here: Vista ISO download

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/303897-windows-vista-ultimate-sp2-upgrade.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi,
Great site, I just joined and think this is a wonderful support system for my Vista upgrade.

I just purchased an untimate Vista upgrade, and intend to upgrade my XP pro SP2 system, which has become unstable due to a recent malware infection. It was my choice to go with Vista as a remedy instead of reinstalling XP Pro, but I am concerned that the XP pro dirving system for the Vista upgrade is compromised and unstable due to the malware. How much of the upgrade process relies on the functionality of the driving system? How should I poroceed?

Thank you,
Jim

P.S. the malware is gone but there are services and functions that are inoperable.

A:Ultimate vista upgrade from an unstable XP

Not 100% sure what you are trying to say so this is what I got out of it.

You have XP Pro but you are having problems with it because of a recent malware infection, but the malware is removed. So your wanting to know if the problems from XP will carry over to your Vista installation?

If that's the case then the answer should be no, Vista keeps personal files but as far as I remember program files are not kept. I assume you bought the Vista Ultimate upgrade edition, do you currently have the XP Pro installation disks?

If you have the XP Pro Install disks you could do a new clean full install, wiping everything. Then immediately install Vista over it once the setup is finished.

If you don't have the XP Pro disks you could do a few things:
1) Go ahead and install Vista over XP, although I'm not 100% sure, I really don't think that the problems will carry over unless its a hardware related issue.

2) You can install Vista Ultimate as a trial and then install the Upgrade from the trial and bypass XP entirely. This is kind of a work around for the upgrade disk to get a full install, so I'm not sure if Microsoft fixed it in recent releases. If you decide to go with this option and need instructions let me know and I'll give you a link.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/ultimate-vista-upgrade-from-an-unstable-xp-329109.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Before I throw up my hands in Vista 7 ? to how Ultimate - Upgrade long horror and kiss the MacBook Pro can anyone shed any light on my upgrade from Ultimate Vista to 7 Upgrade - how long ? Vista to Ultimate Ignoring all the sane advice to do a clean install apps to reinstall couldnt face it I opted for an upgrade Ran CHKDSK on all OS amp Applications partitions All OK No bad Sectors Defragged everything Ran Tweak VI to check optimise Registry No OS tweaks Disconnected all external eSATA USB data stores Ran Windows Upgrade Advisor - highlighted iTunes de-authorise IntelliType Point drivers and RAID driver for Adaptec RAID A channel card not in use but installed Have MS Student Upgrade DVD Opted to install upgrade in existing partition C Gb with free Booted from MS Win DVD it started amp I guess set up the install partition with required files then downloaded some files to update Vista from the Internet and asked me to boot back into Vista OS and run the upgrade from there weird I thought Followed the localisation instructions and left the upgrade to run overnight My Vista OS is some GB the Apps some applications are GB and located in Disk Two are the User Profiles Data of some GB The rest Gb on Disk and Gb on Disk are static data files iso avi mp mp cannot see how they'd be relevant to the upgrade process time After hours yes hours the Dell G is in Energy Saver Mode so cannot ' see ' what's happening Disk activity NIL so I hard reboot back into the HD not the install DVD Win splash screen comes up it says not finished the Install Process reboot and its now continuing the install HD light flickering disk chattering How long is this going to take If the Dell G is in Energy Saver Mode how will I know when its finished Has anyone done this upgrade successfully When do I call it a day reformat C drive and clean install and set aside days to reinstall all the applications Thanks in advance M amp C

A:Ultimate Vista to 7 Upgrade - how long ?

I have heard of Vista upgrades taking up to 20 hours... Yes, it works, but I would always recommend a clean install over an upgrade... stability over expediency wins every time..

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/39566-ultimate-vista-7-upgrade-how-long.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Windows Update has stopped installing updates Download is fine My Vista installation is an upgrade from XP Pro The problem is that modules have failed to load at least two are in Security Services The in Vista .dll's Pro upgrade XP Ultimate from Missing four gpkcsp dll initpki dll sccbase dll slbcsp dll are resident in XP NOT in Vista However they are apparently necessary for Update to work The threads I have found all tell me that these dll's are not in Vista but don't tell me how to solve the problem that these missing files are causing IN Vista I have done tried the following with limited or no mostly no success I have run 'sfc scannow' from the command prompt and no integrity violations were found I have Restored to the earliest point allowed without correcting the problem I have gone to the 'windows old' folder and found each dll in system I have tried twice to start Security Services but have been unable to do so I installed a batch file of all the dll's affecting Security Services that resulted in of uppdates installing the remaining failed to install in two further attempts after rebooting I have reinstalled the Vista upgrade over itself which wiped all previous settings and files and entitled me to an hour and a half talk with an extremely courteous and helpful Microsoft tech in India to reset the install key It seems to me that somehow I have to access the original XP Pro installation and install the four dll's How to do this I have no clue I would appreciate any help

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/269070-missing-dlls-vista-ultimate-upgrade-xp-pro.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I am attempting to upgrade my system from Vista Ultimate x32 to Windows 7. Can anyone assist me? The problem I am having is a conversion from the Spanish version of the upgrade disk to English. Somehow I received the Spanish Version and because it is over the 90 days I cannot return it for a replacement. The Microsoft store tells me that there is a "languages" program written by Microsoft that will allow me to change it. Does anyone know anything about this? I cannot find it.

A:Upgrade Vista Ultimate to Windows 7

Originally Posted by splabombard

I am attempting to upgrade my system from Vista Ultimate x32 to Windows 7. Can anyone assist me? The problem I am having is a conversion from the Spanish version of the upgrade disk to English. Somehow I received the Spanish Version and because it is over the 90 days I cannot return it for a replacement. The Microsoft store tells me that there is a "languages" program written by Microsoft that will allow me to change it. Does anyone know anything about this? I cannot find it.

3 points I want to make sure I understand correctly ....
1. You want to upgrade from Vista Ultimate 32-bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.
2. You received a Spanish upgrade disc.
3. You want to know how to switch to English version.

Here is what I know .....
1. Use the Spanish upgrade disc and do the installation.
2. You'll need to install the Windows 7 languiage packs which will enable you to convert from Spanish to English.
Here is the Official Windows 7 Language Packs download links :
Download Windows 7 MUI Language Packs (Official 32-bit and 64-bit Direct Download Links) ? My Digital Life
Note : make sure you pick this link :
English: windows6.1-kb972813-x86-en-us_22ee3397a02372681b375ddabf6ffa33662fd500.exe

Officially, this is what Microsoft Support says: Windows 7 language packs are available for computers that are running Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Enterprise
excerpt .....
Windows 7 language packs are available for computers that are running Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Enterprise. The Windows 7 language packs can be installed only from the Optional Updates section in Windows Update. However, these language packs are not available on the Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) server or through the Microsoft Download Center.

I would say that after you have upgraded to Win 7 Ultimate, wait a bit for the optional updates to show up.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/291521-upgrade-vista-ultimate-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I'm trying to find out the easiest way to go about upgrading from Windows Home Premium bit to Windows Ultimate bit and what issues I might run into I don't want to reinstall everything Or anything if possible so am looking for the easiest option to upgrade Anytime upgrade offers the upgrade at a bit expensive I found a seller on ebay selling quot Microsoft Windows Ultimate -Bit Full Digital Download Key quot for a lot less He has about feedback at My question is can I use the key from this and enter it into the 'Enter an upgrade key' Premium Ultimate reinstall? Upgrade Anytime from or Home - to Upgrade box during the Anytime Upgrade Will I run into problems doing this Alternatively I could get a copy of Ultimate from Digital River burn it to Upgrade to Ultimate from Home Premium - Anytime Upgrade or reinstall? a disk or thumb drive use the key from the ebay seller above and try to do an 'upgrade' install over the top of my current Windows Home Premium install I don't know if this is even possible Any suggestions are welcome Thanks

A:Upgrade to Ultimate from Home Premium - Anytime Upgrade or reinstall?

The best way for any install is ALWAYS a clean install. Believe me you will have less problems and headaches than an upgrade. It would be worth your while to reinstall your software.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/348440-upgrade-ultimate-home-premium-anytime-upgrade-reinstall.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I recently obtained an upgrade for Vista Ultimate I'm currently running Vista Home Premium dated According to won't Upgrade Install option Ultimate upgrade--only Clean given the upgrade chart it's supposed to be perfectly fine to upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate However I get past the product key dialog and the next one indicates that my system is not capable of taking an upgrade but can perform a clean install Strange I went on-line and ran into a blitz of different answers to this problem but finally found something that might look like the reason Q Could this problem be occuring because I have Vista Home Premium SP applied and my Ultimate Anytime Upgrade only includes SP A Yes you would need to uninstall the Windows Vista SP and then upgrade to Ultimate Upgrade won't upgrade--only Clean Install option given Windows Ultimate Upgrade won't upgrade--only Clean Install option given Vista Ultimate Note An upgrade always begins Ultimate Upgrade won't upgrade--only Clean Install option given at the desktop After uninstalling Windows Vista SP boot to the Windows Vista Home Premium desktop then insert the Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade DVD disc in the DVD drive Is this right Do I need to roll back SP in order to do the upgrade to Ultimate then re-apply SP once it completes Also side note question I entered my product key and then the installation type dialog came up next after a few moments Does this mean my product key passed the validation I just want to be sure that my product will activate as I bought this nd hand and was assured that it wasn't activated

A:Ultimate Upgrade won't upgrade--only Clean Install option given

I am not going to answer your question, directly, but will say that a clean install is always better. Go with the clean install. You do not save time with an upgrade if you take into account the multitude of problems that may occur.
Back up your stuff, use Windows Easy Transfer and all you need to do is reinstall your software and you have the very best installatio, a clean install.
Enter your key after you have used the system for a few days, your software is all installed and you are satisfied, you have 30 days, which can be extended.
Would you want your old car after being detailed or a brand new 2012 car, it works the same with the OS.
If you choose not to use my advice, you need to have SP1 with an SP1 install.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/296558-ultimate-upgrade-wont-upgrade-only-clean-install-option-given.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I'm about to buy a new laptop from Costco with Win 7 Home Premium. On my old (now smashed) laptop I have a Win 7 Ultimate install. Can I just use the Ultimate serial key to do the Anytime Upgrade on the new machine? I keep reading that I need to buy an "upgrade key."

Thanks

A:Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade with non-upgrade Ultimate license?

Hi,
You will need an upgrade key to initiate the ultimate download, but if you can manage to obtain an ultimate installation cd your serial should work, also if you use this winisoutils - Windows ISO Disc Image Utilities

you can change a windows install cd (if you have one) into a universal edition one, very handy.

to answer your question an upgrade key is not the same as a serial, the upgrade key is just to download the installation while the serial activates it, and a serial from one edition will not work with a different edition.

hope this helps

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/222145-windows-7-anytime-upgrade-non-upgrade-ultimate-license.html
Relevancy 80.41%

The instructions for slipstreaming Vista SPs is excellent in Sliptream Vista SP2 and presumably utilizes Full Retail versions of the OS.

Q1. Would the above procedure work with an Upgrade disk? It contains the ability to install several versions of Vista.

Q2. In the alternative, just making a backup of the disk would be of some benefit in case of failure or AOL.

Thank you for any help.

A:Slipstream Vista SP2 with Ultimate Upgrade Disk?

Hallo ITPheonix, I am not familiar with Slipstreaming But your second option of backup you may find this short tutorial put together by one of our members valuable
I hope this is of some help it is what i use;

Image your system with free Macrium

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/265552-slipstream-vista-sp2-ultimate-upgrade-disk.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello. Im running now Vista Home Premium. I would like to change it to Vista Ultimate. Is there any disc upgrade ava for that??? I would like to go for the Ultimate 64(now Im on Home premium 32) so I think I will have to do fresh new instal but the ting is that I dont want loose my recovery partition on my hdd. So how can I do it withoute loosing that?? I mean install Ultimate 64 and keep the recovery partition?

A:How to upgrade Vista Home Premium to Ultimate

First of all, is the hardware 64 bit ready?

If you install a different OS, you will NOT be able to use the Recover method, but the partition and data is still there just no way of getting the Recover program to work. Why would you want this to be protected?

Also, make sure that ALL of the built in devices and external devices have 64 bit drivers available for them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-upgrade-vista-home-premium-to-ultimate.1001215/
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello I recently bought and downloaded the Vista upgrade pack for Basic bit to Ultimate bit and I have encountered some problems I have tried multiple times to install the upgrade but to no avail Every time it gets through out of the installation steps then an error occurs at the th step named 'Completing upgrade' The error message reads quot Windows installer has encountered an error and cannot continue Your computer will now restart and be reverted to your previous operating system version quot Or something along those lines I was wondering whether anyone may be able to shed some light on the situation as I cant think of any way around to Problem Vista Basic upgrade Ultimate - it and I haven't been able to find anyone experiencing a similar problem on the internet As a bit of extra info If it makes a difference I downloaded it as part Vista upgrade - Basic to Ultimate Problem of 'The Microsoft Ultimate steal - UK' and the download website was called 'Digital River' Many thanks for reading Adam

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-upgrade-basic-to-ultimate-problem-308701.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Ok I just upgraded to Vista Ultimate for work related reasons The thing is most everything runs but when I open I text file in notepad then right click to WinXPsp3 with Upgrade Vista Problem Ultimate over select all or what ever before the context menu comes up I get an error that shuts down what ever program I was running This also occurs in Sidebar Task Problem with Vista Ultimate Upgrade over WinXPsp3 manager and just about every exe that is part of windows Third party apps don't seem to be affected that i can remember anyway Jest now I ran Paint to paste a screen shot and went edit gt paste but as soon as I opened the edit menu Crash so i tried Paint net same thing I then right clicked the paint net short cut and hit quot run as Administrator quot and I could paste the screen shot into a file no sweat The account is a local admin account that I am logged into at the moment so I really do not understand the same with the windows sidebar and a few other apps if I right click anywhere in them they crash then I right click the shortcut and run as admin and they work I even tried going into the properties of Windows sidebar Problem with Vista Ultimate Upgrade over WinXPsp3 shortcut in the star menu clicking properties gt shortcut gt advanced gt and checking Run as Administrator but Still get the crashes when I first reboot Vista until I specifically Start it by Right clicking and hitting Run as Administrator If anyone knows how to fix these problems PLEASE please help me I'm beyond frustrated and can no longer think straight on Problem with Vista Ultimate Upgrade over WinXPsp3 this issue I hated vista before I even had to install it now I truly despise it The really horrible thing is because of this problem I'm behind on a work project and If I can't suss this out and square it away I'm going to have to either pay someone else to get the proj done on time and or lose the client job I don't even know how to correctly research this issue everything I Google brings up slow responding right click context menu probs or similar And i Have tried those solutions just on the hope and prayer that they did the trick but no joy I can't afford to do a reinstall as my current Backup solution is incompatible with vista and its honestly more time i lose in an already behind-the-eight ball schedule Anyway I hope My problem was clear and that one of you fine users know a way to help I hate Formating as a 'solution quot I'm the type that is obsessed with knowing the answers to problems like this in case i see them again I've done a Sfc scannow and it is clean plus every other thing i can think of

A:Problem with Vista Ultimate Upgrade over WinXPsp3

Maybe a CHKDSK?

And maybe do a virus/spyware check, because they can make everything fail.
Use Spybot-Search&Destroy/Ad-Aware.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/158030-problem-vista-ultimate-upgrade-over-winxpsp3.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi people, I'm having trouble upgrading my dell xps m1330 from Ultimate vista to 7 pro. I realize that I probably purchased the wrong version but it won't even allow me to do clean install. It goes into 'copying temporary files" forever, then finally to install option screen of either upgrading (which it won't allow me to) or custom which I tried several times after a while it tries to copy files then error message saying "some files corrupted of missing" etc then stops the process, ive installed the upgrade advisor and did what it asked until it passed. Please any advise would be of great help! thanks

A:problems with Windows 7 upgrade from Vista Ultimate

Quote: Originally Posted by Arebeekay

Hi people, I'm having trouble upgrading my dell xps m1330 from Ultimate vista to 7 pro. I realize that I probably purchased the wrong version but it won't even allow me to do clean install. It goes into 'copying temporary files" forever, then finally to install option screen of either upgrading (which it won't allow me to) or custom which I tried several times after a while it tries to copy files then error message saying "some files corrupted of missing" etc then stops the process, ive installed the upgrade advisor and did what it asked until it passed. Please any advise would be of great help! thanks

Very good start with the upgrade advisor. From that point, I would suggest, disconnect everything other than mouse, monitor and keyboard. Try to clean install again, do not enter your key number, if you get to that point. When installed, try it and enjoy it for a while. Install your programs at that point and use it again. If you are satisfied, at that point, enter your key number. Make a system image and put it in a safe place.

Other suggestions, make sure that your bios is set to plug and play. This is a common problem, hit f12 contiually at start up) F12 works for Dell, other computers use another f key or even delete, check your manual.

If you are using a ISO, reburn at 4x speed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/45082-problems-windows-7-upgrade-vista-ultimate.html
Relevancy 80.41%

About a year ago I bought Vista Ultimate upgrade to Upgrade SP1 Vista to Trying Premium Home Ultimate unfortunately my Sony VAIO laptop was only compatible with Vista Business so I couldn't use Trying to Upgrade Vista Home Premium SP1 to Ultimate it About a month ago I bought a HP desktop loaded with Vista Home Premium -bit with SP I learned from Windows Anytime Upgrade that I could upgrade Vista to Ultimate but when I tried it wouldn't let me upgrade it only gave me the option to perform a clean install I really don't want to do this because all of my HP software is on factory image on my hard drive and if I perform a clean install Vista will erase the partition and I'll lose it I've already burned a backup copy to DVDs but I still don't want to go through all the hassle of performing a clean install and then updating everything -- if I don't have to The problem is that my Vista Ultimate upgrade is the original version of Vista whereas the Home Premium is SP which is why it gives me the error message that it can't upgrade because my current version of Vista is newer than the version I'm trying to install I tried calling Microsoft support but they're closed at this time of night and I tried sending a message to Microsoft but it's giving me an error and to try again later Does anyone know if there's a way around this problem Ideally I'd like to be able to use my product key from Vista Ultimate upgrade to obtain or download Vista Ultimate SP which should resolve the problem

A:Trying to Upgrade Vista Home Premium SP1 to Ultimate

Try uninstalling SP1 from your current system.

1. Click Start, type Appwiz.cpl in the Start Search box, and then click Appwiz.cpl in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2. Click View installed updates.
3. Click Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB936330), and then click Uninstall.
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to complete the uninstall process.

If you are unable to uninstall it that way for whatever reason, roll back with a system restore.

Once you have Ultimate loaded, load SP1 once again.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/190465-trying-upgrade-vista-home-premium-sp1-ultimate.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I'm trying to upgrade from Home Premium to Vista Ultimate. When I run the setup the Upgrade option is not available and a message says "Cannot upgrade from staged to non-staged version".

I've tried this with and without SP1 installed (the Ultimate DVD has SP1 and refuses even to get as far as the above unless SP1 is on Home Premium). I'm running 32 bit and upgrading to 32 bit.

I've seen lots of similar complaints on various TechNet and other forums. Anyone here have any experience / ideas? I am on the verge of doing a complete new install, but can't face the amount of work that will involve.

A:Cannot upgrade Vista Home Premium to Ultimate

You need to do a clean install, you can NOT upgrade from on Home to Ultimate.
That said, on most OEM built machines there is a link to BUY, a upgrade from Microsoft. This is a file that will install the higher version.

Go to "Start, All Programs, Extras and Upgrades, Windows Anytime Upgrade".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-upgrade-vista-home-premium-to-ultimate.722529/
Relevancy 80.41%

A friend of mine is running Vista Home Premium 32bit. He had bought a Vista Ultimate upgrade disk (Student edition). He has a turion x64bit 1.9gb cpu in his laptop. 4gb of ram. He is having troubles installing he program. Error is "install failed. returning to previous os". Do you think it might be the ram issue that I been reading about. or is it the 64bit ultimate that has that problem.

A:Vista Ultimate Upgrade (Student Edition)

Hello AlienMenace

I believe it would be becuase he is currently running a 32-bit version.
If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows Vista. The only way to get upto 64bit is to perform a clena install (deleting Everything!) then installing Vista 64-bit

You can go from 32-bit XP upto 64-bit Vista because it is effectively a different operating system.

regards

Craig

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-ultimate-upgrade-student-edition-240062.html
Relevancy 80.41%

OK, they say there's no such thing as a stupid question, but this may be the exception:

I've got a single-disk RAID setup (sort of an oxymoron, I know) on my Asus MB with ICH6R SATA drivers installed during Vista install.

I would like to move the drive and a second data drive, also on the ICH6R controller, to a newer Asus MB that has an ICH10R chipset. Will the SATA drivers get updated automatically or not? Or will ICH6R drivers function on an ICH10R MB?

Can that be done WITHOUT a clean install of Vista 32-bit Ultimate? I've never had this scenario before.

Thanks for any help.

A:32-bit Vista Ultimate, ICH6R, and ICH10R Upgrade

if you swap the motherboard you will need/should perform a clean install. it is possible to do on similar motherboards but it's always better to reformat and start from scratch. you could of course try uninstalling all drivers for the existing motherboard and then do the swap... but you still might run into some problems (i.e. Windows may not boot at all). you will need ICH10R drivers on the new board but it's not a big deal... new motherboards ship with the needed drivers on CD/DVD-ROM.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/32-bit-vista-ultimate-ich6r-and-ich10r-upgrade.136688/
Relevancy 80.41%

seems to have hung at Regathering Files and Settings stage at 72% (410509 files of 410619 files have been reinstalled)

Friends laptop - Xmas eve ... bugga

Been at this 72% for about an hour.

Normal?

Rgds
Rod

A:Vista SP1 Uptimate upgrade to WIN7 Ultimate

Give it overnight. In-place upgrades can take days sometimes.

Hope files are backed up, as these can fail.

If you wait long enough it is spose to give you a rollback if it can't complete.

Otherwise, you'll need to boot from the DVD and do a clean install, which is a much better install anyway.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/49108-vista-sp1-uptimate-upgrade-win7-ultimate.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello

My Notebook comes from the U.S. with Vista Ultimate. Now I want to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate here in Europe.

I heard that an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 is only possible within the same language (e.g. EN-US). Now I worry that I'll buy the wrong Win 7 version.

I know that my current Vista Ultimate is English, but how to find out which one (could be British as well)? Ist there a native OS language at all besides the language I set in the "regional and language options" in the control panel?

And is this important at all? As far as I know Windows 7 Ultimate supports 35 languages, so does it matter at all as long as I accept to install Win 7 in the same language like my Vista is?

Sorry, maybe I'm a bit confused *ggg*. Thanks so much for any enlightements!

regards, Wolfgang

A:Upgrade Vista Ultimate -> Windows 7: OS Language

Hi Drachenstein, welcome to the Seven Forums.

If you want to do an in-place upgrade, you have to have exactly the same language version. Info about the pre-installed OEM version with activation key can normally be found in the sticker in the bottom of the laptop.

If you ordered your laptop from the USA, the OEM Windows Vista most certainly is English. So for in-place upgrade you need an English Win7. To my knowledge Windows 7 is available only in one universal English version; no EN-US or EN-UK versions exists.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/41391-upgrade-vista-ultimate-windows-7-os-language.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I'm a firm believer in clean installs of operating systems, but I wonder if that belief should be extended to upgrades in versions of operating systems???

I have upgraded all of our pc's to new ones with Vista. All have Home Premium except one. I'm thinking of upgrading the others to Ultimate (mainly for the backup program) so they will all be the same and I don't run into some glitch that puzzles me due to differences.

any advice or thoughts on this appreciated.

thanks,

tom

Relevancy 80.41%

Hello newbie Could you please provide me with some assistance for the following issue We currently have the Windows Vista Ultimate package running on our pc and have today purchased an online upgrade to Windows Ultimate We are currently running a -bit OS and want to upgrade to a -bit OS Following this we then downloaded the following three files Part Download Windows install upgrade W7 problem to Vista Ultimate Ultimate Upgrade -bit ISO Part Download Windows Ultimate Vista Ultimate to W7 upgrade install problem Upgrade -bit ISO Part Download Windows Ultimate Upgrade -bit ISO Part Download Windows Ultimate Upgrade -bit ISO Part Download Windows Ultimate Upgrade -bit Part Download Windows Ultimate Upgrade -bit Part Download Windows Ultimate Upgrade -bit Part Download Windows Ultimate Upgrade -bit Part Download Windows Ultimate Upgrade -bit Part Download Windows Ultimate Upgrade -bit After the third download had finished we selected quot launch quot After the pc had attempted this we were given the following message Unloading the Box We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded Please check the folder properties to make sure that you have security permission on the folder to write files and that the folder is not read only We checked the folder properties and found out that the folder was indeed read only so we changed this but ended up with exactly the same message on running it again Could you please advise what we should do next in order to progress with our upgrade Kind regards Mark

A:Vista Ultimate to W7 upgrade install problem

Looks like you have a situation similar to the provided link. You may have a choice of burning the .iso to a DVD, or unpacking the other files and update using those. The student downloads normally came in 3 files, 2 box files and one unpacker. The total size of the files may be around 14 gigs if you have two copies of each one.

You may just want to give the file name and extension as opposed to a link.......

If you are going from 32 to 64 bit, you have to boot from the DVD and do a custom install. To burn an .iso, burn the image, and not just a data disc.

You should be able to burn the .iso file to a DVD, but I don't know why there are two parts, unless just for quality assurance. But there should be instuctions included.

Make sure you store those files where an install will not overwrite them.

Make bootable iso from student d/l[3]=Installation and Setup

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/66988-vista-ultimate-w7-upgrade-install-problem.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi All

I've bought a copy of Vista Ultimate Student Edition Upgrade, the DVD is the 32 bit Copy

Am I entitled to the 64bit copy of Vista Ultimate? (Does my CD key work for an 64 bit install?)

So far I haven't been able to speak to any body that can help me!

Thanks

A:[SOLVED] Vista Ultimate Student Upgrade

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Spackman

Hi All

I've bought a copy of Vista Ultimate Student Edition Upgrade, the DVD is the 32 bit Copy

Am I entitled to the 64bit copy of Vista Ultimate? (Does my CD key work for an 64 bit install?)

So far I haven't been able to speak to any body that can help me!

Thanks

i think so go to there website or contact them to send you a 64 bit edition you will only have to pay for the shipping cost though like 7 dollars but thats it...
hope it helps.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-vista-ultimate-student-upgrade-248719.html
Relevancy 80.41%

So I have money to spare and want something fun and something that makes life easier. From what I've researched, I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows Vista.

My only concern are its disadvantages.

I'm a computer-savvy person and am willing to resolve problems as long as they are problems that can be fixed. I spend most of my days (12 hours) on the computer browsing websites, playing video games and editing in photoshop and adobe premiere pro. I'm planning to upgrade to the Conroe chip pretty soon and with that upgrade I want Windows Vista.

My computer specs are 2.8ghz p4 , 2gb ddr ram, 512mb video 7600gs.

I'm assuming the Adobe series won't have any problems with vista right? Thats my only concern. Of course I also play Warcraft 3 and C&C 3 and those should not be a bothersome for vista right?

Relevancy 80.41%

I ordered a Vista Ultimate Upgrade disc to get rid of the Windows 7 RC 32-bit. Since 7 is newer, they say it won't work, but I've heard from two sources that booting from BIOS would overwrite 7. Is this true? I don't care if it cleans my HD, I already backed up.

A:Will a Vista Ultimate disc upgrade overwrite the 7 RC

I think you will need a vista or xp install disc to make it work. Not sure about installing from within win 7 rc to upgrade to a vista ultimate. Good luck to you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/21244-will-vista-ultimate-disc-upgrade-overwrite-7-rc.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I purchased a Dell Studio laptop (1737) with Vista Home Premium SP1 (x64) preloaded. I upgraded to Vista Ultimate (PRODUCT) RED SP1 (x64) - don't ask me why - and, since new computers don't come with OS CD's anymore. . .I was wondering if I could use my 'Ultimate' disk to perform a clean install (I have tried - a little - and can't seem to find any "link" (button?) other than "Install")~lvl477 sUx~(Moderator edit and note: post moved to more appropriate forum. jgw)

A:Using "Vista Ultimate" upgrade CD for Clean Install?

The way I understand it is you have to start all over or you will have activation problemshttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/937769/en-ushttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/937150/en-ushttp://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...b981033.mspx#EM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/216678/using-vista-ultimate-upgrade-cd-for-clean-install/
Relevancy 80.41%

i have had vista ultimate 32bit successfully installed from the get go via upgrade disk. at first i tried to install 64bit but it would freeze up. i later tried again to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit but it wont let me do it from boot up, saying i need to do it while in windows. i tried that but all i got was a window saying i cant run the disk from windows and to do it from start up! i dont know what to do! any suggestions?

my specs are:
mobo: evga 750sli ftw
ram:4GB corsair dominator (only 3gb recognized in 32bit)
gpu: 7950gt OC (i need to upgrade lol)
HDD:1TB, 250GB, & 160GB
CPU: Dual-core 2.13 OC'd to 2.7

any suggestions would help greatly.
thanks in advance!

Relevancy 80.41%

I have a Compaq Pasario Notebook with a preinstaled Can premium ultimate? home vista from I 7 upgrade to vista home premium x And I have a HP-Compaq Windows only Ultimate x -x disc I once tried Can I upgrade from vista home premium to 7 ultimate? upgrading with a normal home premium PC disc but afther the second part Can I upgrade from vista home premium to 7 ultimate? of the instalation when the PC needed to restart the setup didn't continue pc just started up and normaly loded in Vista And it all most destroyed the keyboard and mouse quik lunch butons driver or may be it was an eror becouse I had an whirles usb mouse and keyboard connected to my notebook So now I'm trying to upgrade to a superior version and using a designed for my type of Can I upgrade from vista home premium to 7 ultimate? notebook I what to know if I must have my wirles mouse and keyboard usb device conected to the notebook in the instalation proces and can I upgrade from boot menu or I only must upgrade from vista desktop and allsoo do I need to move anything from Documents folder or there will be saved during upgrade I already run the upgrade advisor and it says that I can upgrade to ultimate but on soome microsoft videos pepole said that vista home premium must be upgraded to home premium busnies to profesional and ultimate to ultimate

A:Can I upgrade from vista home premium to 7 ultimate?

Note that you can only upgrade to the 32bit version using the inplace upgrade option. IMO I would do a clean install, especially if you are going to be using the 64bit version... Good Luck... ;

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/71586-can-i-upgrade-vista-home-premium-7-ultimate.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Just a success story I wanted to post here anyone who thinks to upgrade instead of a clean install I don't know I was quite reluctant it all works fine Applications were checked for compatibility the compatibility report showed what is NOT Windows to from Vista Upgrade 6801 7 Ultimate going to Upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 6801 work after the upgrade and so it didn't and except that all drivers software worked fine afterwards Ofcourse you can install the updated drivers from Windows Update in Windows afterwards Only thing after the first compatibility check it asked my Vista to be restarted in order to be able Upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 6801 to proceed I thought it was going to loop-asking that but on the next restart I was able to proceed with the upgrade A few incompatible software I noticed Daemon Tools Windows found out the Virtual SCSI controller installed by Daemon tools SPTD SYS I think was incompatible and reported it might not work properly Indeed upon the first boot errors came out about Daemon Tools and I had to remove its startup entries manually from the registry However it's not quite needed cause to my surprise when you right click an ISO file Windows gives you the option to Load this as a virtual drive Antivir Personal Edition Blocks write access to many folders blocks IE file downloads Compatible verified software Photoshop CS Office duh Firefox Flashget Auslogics Registry Defrag F E A R Combat VMWare Winrar Avast Free antivirus Regards Limneos

A:Upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 6801

Yes. I was VERY well impressed with 7 being able to mount images. I really hope that feature makes it to the final version.

I have a long list of stuff to still install:

K-Lite CCP including Media Player Classic
Microsoft Office 2007 (Hopefully Office Ultimate if I can find it)
Convert X to DVD, I will play around with Windows DVD Maker a bit more though
LimeWire Pro
iTunes
(also I have to check compatibility with Home Server 2008, since I will be setting up a spare machine with it)

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/827-upgrade-vista-ultimate-windows-7-6801-a.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I have a Sony VGN-CS110E, new laptop that came with Vista Premium, I bought the upgrade disks for Ultimate, but it will not work. Sony site doesn't show that it supports Ultimate with my model. Is there a way to make it work? Help!

A:Sony Vista Premium upgrade to Ultimate

Hello Herman....

What do you mean by "it will not work" ?

Are you getting an error when you try and upgrade?

What exactly is happening.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/sony-vista-premium-upgrade-to-ultimate-337928.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Good evening,

I have Vista Home Basic 32-bit running which I have done for a few years.
I have a genuine Vista Ultimate 32-bit disc which includes Service Pack 1 and also includes Windows Anytime Upgrade.
My question is, how easy is it to upgrade my laptop and will I lose all my documents and settings and programs that I have downloaded etc.
Thanks very much in advance.

A:Upgrade from Vista Home Basic 32-bit to Vista Ultimate 32-bit

Although this is for Win 7- Windows Anytime Upgrade - Microsoft Windows - I think it answers all your questions.

On the other hand, this applies to Vista- Windows Anytime Upgrade: frequently asked questions. As a result, I don't know if you can still use the anytime upgrade.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/300096-upgrade-vista-home-basic-32-bit-vista-ultimate-32-bit.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Do I Uninstall Vista Premium to Upgrade to Vista Ultimate?
And if so how?

A:Do I Uninstall Vista Premium to Upgrade to Vista Ultimate?

No, you don't have to, just pop in the upgrade DVD, follow the prompts to upgrade it to Ultimate.

Back up Important data before upgrading.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/do-i-uninstall-vista-premium-to-upgrade-to-vista-ultimate.795828/
Relevancy 79.98%

In Computer Properties, there is an option allow upgrading Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate. Could any body give me ideas about this? Is it free? Does it influence installed softwares? I mean, will we lose all of them when we do upgrade?

A:Upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate

vuongtutruc,

Windows Anytime Upgrade is just a way to order and pay for just a license (Product key number) for a version of Vista that is higher than yours. You install it from the Vista DVD you already have, but you use the new product key number you ordered instead. Yes, it can have a affect on the software and you could loose your data. I would recommend backing up anything you do not want to loose. See number 1 and 3 (which versions you can upgrage to) at this link for more information.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/search.aspx?=&qu=anytime+upgtrade

See this link to compare the different versions to what you already have.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/78828-upgrade-vista-home-premium-vista-ultimate.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hello people I am having quite the time over upgrade issues Business - Vista x32 Vista Ultimate x64 here with a Vista machine Vista Business x32 - Vista Ultimate x64 upgrade issues of mine and I honestly think it's out to get me My job is computer support for my college campus and I would like to think that I am fairly good with computers With that said let me give Vista Business x32 - Vista Ultimate x64 upgrade issues you a rundown of the situation The computer is an Optiplex with standard core features that has a BFG w power source gb RAM and a nice Nvidia GTX card I am running Vista Business x on it and finally decided to take advantage of all of my RAM so I bought Vista Ultimate x Red Edition if that helps and popped it in It said that it could not read the media and I read the MS article on why that was so and then decided to boot from the disk I did so and got fairly far up until I had to select the drive I selected C and then next to the quot Next quot button I got a funny message that read To use the product key you entered start the installation on a computer that is running a genuine version of windows For the record I purchased this computer OS is the most legit way possible through my college I am stuck in what would appear to be a Catch It's asking me to install it via a method that just brought me to what I am staring at now This situation quite honestly is beyond me I have already taken out all my RAM save GB and all the PCI cards save the GTX like other guides suggested and that doesn't seem to be working If you need any more information other than what I have supplied do tell and I will give it to you Thanks for the help

A:Vista Business x32 - Vista Ultimate x64 upgrade issues

Isn't the red edition a cracked copy?

Either way, go out and purchase a standard 64 bit Full version of Vista, wipe everything and do a clean install. Then back up the registry with Erunt, and do a complete disk image with Macrium Reflect Free once the updates and drivers are installed, as a backup, if those installs go smoothly.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/249062-vista-business-x32-vista-ultimate-x64-upgrade-issues.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi im trying to upgrade my vista home premium to vista ultimate However although the upgrade advisor sees no issues the upgrade will Vista to upgrade from premium ultimate wont home not let me upgrade i can Vista wont upgrade from home premium to ultimate do a complete install but will loose all my program settings etc I get this message quot The upgrade cannot be started To upgrade cancel the installation and then choose to upgrade to a version of windows that is more recent than the one you Vista wont upgrade from home premium to ultimate are currently running quot How can I upgrade to more recent version st when that is what i am trying to do I checked in microsoft and they report that i need to uninstall SP I was able to uninstall SP from add remove but i cant find SP So can anyone tell me how to find it some of the methods Vista wont upgrade from home premium to ultimate in the microsoft article are to advanced for me Heres my specs Computer System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd Model M L-S P Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack Version Build Number Install Date Install Directory C Windows Locale English en - United Kingdom GB DirectX version DirectX Motherboard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd Model M L-S P vx x Bios Manufacturer Award Software International Inc Model F Release Date Processors AMD Athlon X Dual Core Processor AuthenticAMD Max clock speed GHz Socket Socket M Version Model Stepping Memory Total Current Physical Memory GB Total Current Virtual Memory GB Maximum Memory Capacity GB Memory Devices Type DDR- - Speed MHz - Capacity GB Type DDR- - Speed MHz - Capacity GB Type DDR- - Speed MHz - Capacity GB Video Devices Radeon X X Series Resolution x Colour Depth Bits Refresh Rate Hz Radeon X X Series Secondary Resolution x Colour Depth Bits Refresh Rate Hz Sound Devices Logitech Mic Communicate STX Realtek High Definition Audio M PCIe PAL SECAM DVB-T Desktop TV Tuner Video Capture

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-wont-upgrade-from-home-premium-to-ultimate-472236.html
Relevancy 79.55%

I upgraded my Gateway All in one Gz7108 computer from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate. Now the "Eject CD Key" on the keyboard no longer works, except during bootup before the Windows progress bar, then it will work. I can still go to eject in the right click menu for the CD drive. Anybody have any suggestions?

A:Vista Ultimate upgrade now eject key doesn't work

You need to install drivers for your hotkeys to function, I know because my Dell Inspiron 9400 and ASUS A6Je hotkeys (volume, eject, brightness and wireless) dont work without drivers.

My suggestion is to go to the Gateway site and download all drivers for your PC specified for Vista. The name of the package may be: "hotkey drivers", "chipset drivers", "Utility drivers", "Function drivers"... OR look for your driver cd.

Hope this helped.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/294584-vista-ultimate-upgrade-now-eject-key-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 79.55%

hi there, im new here by the way, i have a vista home basic 32 bit, what do i need in order for me to upgrade it to vista ultimate? what are the procedures? hehehe.... thanks and good day

A:Upgrade windows vista home basic 32 bit to ultimate

by the way, it's in SP2

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/238377-upgrade-windows-vista-home-basic-32-bit-ultimate.html
Relevancy 79.55%

When attempting to upgrade from Vista Home Premium (32bit) to Vista Ultimate (32bit) can an upgrade error - upgrade fails. The Vista Upgrade advisor tells me that the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT will not work in Windows Vista:-

"This device will not work in Windows Vista. For more information, please go to the device manufacturer's website, Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer."

How can I proceed to upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate?

Is this just a Vista Ultimate upgrade issue or is this display adapter truly not supported on Vista (even though I have a HP Pavilion laptop with one installed running Vista Home Premium).

Any help or advice appreciated.

A:NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT cannot upgrade to Vista Ultimate

..by the way, I have just updated driver to latest version from NVIDIA (8.15.11.8585 Dated 30/04/2009) and tried upgrade advisor again - still no good!

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/230184-nvidia-geforce-9600m-gt-cannot-upgrade-vista-ultimate.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Now I upgraded to Vista Ultimate.
It does not start, right after splash screen when it shows a desctop it crashes into a blue screen says about problems with Video Scheduler.
It also gives an eror number :
0x00000119(0x00000001....
DOes anyone can tell me what is it related to?
What is that video scheduler?
Maybe I can somehow disable it in safe mode because safe mode runs ok.

Thank you.

Relevancy 79.55%

I've tried this twice now (on the same machine) and each time Control Panel won't work; it doesn't open. If I change the start menu to show links to Control Panel applets only some of them work; User Accounts, Display, Power Settings, Windows Update and others just do nothing. This means I can't adjust my display properties to get the correct alignment of my dual monitors, among other things, so I've given up on it meantime.

Has anyone else had this problem, or any suggestions on how to overcome it?

A:Vista Ultimate upgrade to RC - missing control panel

Ok, did you upgrade as in just standard install or a clean install that reformated your hard drive?
If you just didn't do a clean install, do it. If you just upgrade over vista or xp, it causes a heck load of problems.
If you did do a clean install, then maybe reinstall it if all options run out.

If non of this works, see if there's any more information and i'll see what i can do.
Good luck

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/8985-vista-ultimate-upgrade-rc-missing-control-panel.html
Relevancy 79.55%

My friend just gave me his Vista Ultimate upgrade disk key to upgrade my vista home premium to ultimate version. Now, I have the key, but no upgrade disk. What I have however is a x86 Vista Ultimate disk, that I downloaded from microsoft MSDN website. From what I know, this disk is for a brand new and clean install of vista ultimate. Can I use this disk to upgrade my home premium to ultimate. I certainly dont want to loose my programs/files on my current laptop, so I absolutely dont want a clean install, and am afraid to mess things up if I accidentally use wrong disk. So can I use the MSDN downloaded vista ultimate disk to perform the upgrade or should I buy a upgrade disk from somewhere???
Thanks for help folks...

A:Upgrading to Vista Ultimate... Do I specifically need a upgrade disk???

Hey Taylormah,

The setup file located on every Vista DVD can upgrade the current version of windows only by running it from within the current windows version, it doesnt matter what version dvd you have if you start the install while your using windows so your safe to use the setup dvd you have.

dmex

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/152094-upgrading-vista-ultimate-do-i-specifically-need-upgrade-disk.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hey guys, I currently have Vista HP x64 installed on my laptop

If I buy W7 Ultimate x32 would I be able to 'Upgrade' Install or would I have to clean install?

Is it even possible to go from a 64bit OS to a 32?

Any advice would be appreciated

A:[SOLVED] Vista Home Premium x64 Upgrade to W7 Ultimate x32?

You would have to do the Custom (clean) install to go from 64 to 32 bit.
If you have 64bit I would stay with 64bit what issue are you having with it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-vista-home-premium-x64-upgrade-to-w7-ultimate-x32-427326.html
Relevancy 79.55%

This might be a silly question, but I need some advice. I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit, and since the release of windows 7, the price of Vista Ultimate has dropped dramatically. My questions are these. What would be the benefit of upgrading to vista ultimate on a home PC or should I just upgrade to Windows 7?

A:Upgrade Vista Home Premium to Ultimate or Windows 7

I would go with 7.

Vista was never very popular. It would be my guess that support for the OS is ended as soon as possible, without any extensions.

7 has better security

Although mostly eye candy, 7 does have a lot of nice features.

Of course a question like this is very subjective, there is no right or wrong.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/279899-upgrade-vista-home-premium-ultimate-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Well I broke down and bought the upgrade from XP Pro to Ultimate I didn t have any issues just one with a SB driver which I downloaded and the sound works The problem I seem to Clank Upgrade Vista Drive Problem Ultimate be having one of my drives clanks every so often I did the drive check with the western digital software data life tool the long check and they came back good What could possibly be going on I checked the abit site thinking it might Vista Ultimate Upgrade Drive Clank Problem be a voltage thing but the PS I have is way over what I need Bios is working fine the updates for the AW -MAX were nothing worth flashing it for just some more memory capatibility updates and voltage features for the series Nivida s I don t know what else could there be a problem with voltages I am stationed in Korea but on a US base that uses v I checked numerous forums and one person had the same problem and someone was saying it might by the prefetch within Vista itself but I am not to familiar with the new prefetch vs the XP one Part of my question I might do a clean install to see if that clears it up but I have a G that is USB and anything on boot in dos I have no KB because it doesn t boot the USB ports Any work around besides getting a PS Keyboard AW -Max Pentium D - Mhz BFG GTX GB Corsair XMS -WD SATA Hard Drives g Sony DL Burner - DRU series Power Supply BFG W NZXT Nemesis Alum Case Sound Blaster Audigy nbsp

A:Vista Ultimate Upgrade Drive Clank Problem

A clunk from a HDD doesn't sound good, though I wonder if it's a power management thing - turning off the HDD after a certain period of inactivity. You can check the settings by going to Advanced Plan Settings in the Power Options section of the control panel.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-ultimate-upgrade-drive-clank-problem.572899/
Relevancy 78.69%

Do I Need To Erase My Old Vista Home Premuim After Upgrade To Vista Ultimate?
When I Did Upgrade I Choose To Keep It On C Drive ,now I See It Take A Lot Of Space Under Old Window Do I Still Need ? Or I Have To Keep In Order For My System To Work.
Thanks In Advance.

A:Do I Need To Erase My Old Vista After Upgrade To Vista Ultimate?

If you are using the "Upgrade" Option not a complete install than yes you must leave the premium on the hard drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/do-i-need-to-erase-my-old-vista-after-upgrade-to-vista-ultimate-322953.html
Relevancy 78.69%

hey peps is there any way i can upgrade my wifes laptop from Vista HP X86 to Vista Ultimate X64 with out doing a clean install?

or do i have to do a clean install cause of the KERNAL?

would really not want to do a clean install if i do not have to to much crap on here laptop to re-install would take 8+ hours to do.

i know i can upgrade to X86 version of Vista Ultimate but would like to have it be a X64 version if i could.

A:Upgrade Vista HP X86 to Vista Ultimate X64 Question.

Originally Posted by fadedrs

or do i have to do a clean install cause of the KERNAL?

Yes

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/233273-upgrade-vista-hp-x86-vista-ultimate-x64-question.html
Relevancy 78.69%

From what I understand, you can't convert Vista 64bit to 32bit, it requires a clean installation. So with that said, if I have a computer with Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1 disk and then a Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade disk, with both 64 bit and 32bit, how can I convert it to 32bit?

A:Converting Vista 64bit with 32bit Ultimate Upgrade Disk

I would think your only options is a clean install.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-vista-64bit-with-32bit-ultimate-upgrade-disk.806607/
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi all, I have laptop HP Pavilions dv9720ea , oryginaly with Vista Home Premium 32 bit -now with Windows 7 Ultimate. i like to come back to original state, because windows 7 is not working proper with my laptop model

hard drivers C: System Win 7 9gb free of 40gb
D: HP_RECOVERY 2gb free of 12gb
G: add on 179gb free of 180gb

when I m opening partition D: I have one folder RECOVERY(which is right),but when opening this folder(RECOVERY) I have no files in this folder -they are invisible

mu Question is: How to uninstall system Windows 7 Ultimate (i have it on C: and working on this now) , and replace by Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit(i have it on D: RECOVERY-as a recovery and it is not visible)

laptop came with C: Vista Home Premium and D: Recovery partition (it was visible when i had Vista installed)
many thanks for any help ...

A:invisible recovery files after upgrade from Vista to Win7 ultimate

If D has 2gb free of 12gb, then it is not empty. Did you try to open the folder on D (it may not be possible). The size of the folder and the name 'Recovery' is typical for an HP recovery partition. It may be fully operational.

I would make an image of D and then look at the VHD (if you cannot open the recovery folder). Easiest would be with the Wbadmin command which is:

WBADMIN START BACKUP -backupTarget:f: -include:d:

Where "f" is your drive/partition to where you write the image. That will create a VHD which you can Attach with Disk Management. Then it will show up in My Computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/310409-invisible-recovery-files-after-upgrade-vista-win7-ultimate.html
Relevancy 78.69%

I ordered a Vista Ultimate Upgrade disc to get rid of the Windows 7 RC 32-bit. Since 7 is newer, they say it won't work, but I've heard from two sources that booting from BIOS would overwrite 7. Is this true? I don't care if it cleans my HD, I already backed up.

Relevancy 78.69%

I've been trying to upgrade from Win XP to Vista Ultimate. I have tried installing several times. The first time, the computer got hung up on expanding files at 21% and I rebooted. After that I have been getting the msg "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed. I've check on a few forums and someone always says to restore the default value for the UpperFilters registry entry and then restart computer. In the steps that follow, it says to modify UpperFilters and to type PartMgr and click ok. This seems to work for some people, I however already had the PartMgr value on there. Can someone tell me what I can do, besides doing a fresh install?

Thanks

Relevancy 77.83%

ok please read and dont hit back cause its too long My PC is fairly new End Solved: of Error PLEASE at HELP!! Windows Upgrade! Blue Screen! Vista Ultimate bout a year and works quite well INtel core duo gb RAM nvidia thinking of upgrading gb HD and so on I am running windows xp home edition x I got windows vista ultimate x and decided to upgrade I followed all the instrucions and all was going well It was only when the install got past the Completeing Installation part before vista did its first time boot and restarted i Solved: Error at End of Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade! Blue Screen! PLEASE HELP!! got a problem It reset loaded through the flash sceen then when it was about to load the login screen i think it flashes for a bit i get a wierd arrow symbol at the top of the screen and it resets it kept doing it every load so i got it to stop and show me the error screen b it reset blue screen of death i got an error PAGE FAULT-IN NONPAGED AREA with the stop code STOP X XFFAD X X F X Rolled back then tried again later and exact same result I ve looked all over the internet but to no avail You can understand i m sure my frustration getting so close I am currently running my previous OS xp home Anyway any help at all would be MUCH appreciated Thanks for taking a look lazarest nbsp

A:Solved: Error at End of Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade! Blue Screen! PLEASE HELP!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-error-at-end-of-windows-vista-ultimate-upgrade-blue-screen-please-help.637332/
Relevancy 76.97%

I had a copy of Ultimate laying around from to Home after longer upgrade Outlook Vista no Ultimate 2007 working Premium the house and decided for some stupid reason to upgrade the OS yesterday It's been a nightmare After hours I've reinstalled many many programs and have been able to get the to launch all of Outlook 2007 no longer working after Vista upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate them with the exception of Outlook I've searched for a solution and have had no luck following a solution to the problem I'm encountering I'm getting Outlook 2007 no longer working after Vista upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate the following error message gt gt gt Cannot open your default e-mail folders An unexpected error has occured MAPI was unable to load the information service mspst dll Be sure the service is correctly installed and configured lt lt lt I have successfully used Outlook for the past months on my home PC The problems I am encountering began immediately following the upgrade to Ultimate bit--I thought I'd have less problems with drivers going bit route than trying I am hoping to salvage my contacts and calendar if at all possible I have them backed up on an external drive but it's not current about weeks old I see an Outlook pst in Windows old but I cannot open it I've had to reinstall Office Ultimate and I have run repair three times All the Microsoft Windows Ultimate updates are installed Not sure if this is related but the Office Ultimate Disc will not install properly Any help is appreciated

A:Outlook 2007 no longer working after Vista upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate

This problem was solved. I will detail the steps in case they may help anyone else who has a problem with installing Office after upgrading their OS.

Solution:

Uninstall OfficeClean the registry...I used cc Cleaner and cleaned up 30 items from the registry.RebootCustom Reinstalled Office 2007 and selected "Run All From My Computer" (not sure if this was a necessary step but again, it worked for me)Rebooted and viola everything including Outlook worked.One final step to configure Outlook; I had to import the PST file that was in the AppData Folder (must unhide hidden folders to see AppData) located in
C: Windows.old>>Users>>User Name>>AppData>>Local>>>Microsoft>>>Outlook. Note Outlook is a pst file. For whatever reason, Search did not turn up this file and I was a bit worried, however, trust that your old .pst file is in this directory. In my case, I didn't care about the mail file but wanted to import my contacts and calendar. There is a way to target only the items in your outlook.pst file using File>>import/export and then select import from program/file; click next and select the Personal Folder (.pst) near the bottom...when you get to the final screen if you don't want everything to come over (you probably do) then you can select just calendar or just contacts but only one per import. In my case I did one import for contacts, and one for calendar.

If you have this problem or a similar one, I hope this helps or helped you.

http://www.vistax64.com/software/255667-outlook-2007-no-longer-working-after-vista-upgrade-home-premium-ultimate.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I currently have a system with a core 2 quad chip xq6700 intel that was installed with XP then upgraded to Vista Ultimate 32 bit and now I'd like to upgrade the whole system to 64 bit Vista ultimate. Is this doable, Will Windows Office 2007 still work? I'm ultimately wanting to install some video software editing program like Avid Media Center, should I try this or set up a dual boot system or what?

Gypsy Nick

A:Can I upgrade from Vista ultimate 32 bit to Vista Ultimate 64 bit?

You cannot upgrade from X86 to X64, you have to do a clean install.

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/169494-can-i-upgrade-vista-ultimate-32-bit-vista-ultimate-64-bit.html
Relevancy 76.11%

When I purchased my Dell XPS computer I chose to have an option for gb of DDR PC- mhz memory installed as I ordered the Vista bit Home Premium OS and had read that there was a gb limitation as to what a bit system would recognize I now have installed a Vista Ultimate bit OS and then I put in each gb Kits filling all four slots of Crucial PC - CL CT CP AA mhz pin unbuffered non ecc kits onto the Intel X Express Chipset TP motherboard Initially I first installed each of the gb kits and the system ran fine and Problems Vista bit Memory on a Upgrade OS 64 the system recognized the new total of gb of mhz that I had installed filling two matched colored slots Then I installed another gb kit giving me a total of gb of Memory Upgrade Problems on a Vista 64 bit OS memory for my system When I started up the system with this new memory configuration it gave me a memory error code as I remember it Code or Msg - Anyway It would not boot up period I then took these two gb kits out and reinstalled the ea gb memory filling all four slots that came with my system back into the computer and it works just fine The memory that came installed with my system is marked GB Rx PC - U- manufactured by Elpida I was wondering if this is actually mhz memory referring to the - marking It is my understanging that this Dell TP motherboard has a limit of gb of memory for a Vista bit OS and allows for gb of memory for a bit OS Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am doing incorrectly to install a total of gb of memory onto my computer Thank you for any comments

A:Memory Upgrade Problems on a Vista 64 bit OS

Hi win95,

Have you checked the spec as to how much RAM you can build in, I suspect 4gig is the limit.

Pooch

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/192492-memory-upgrade-problems-vista-64-bit-os.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I have an eMachines T5230 that came with Vista Home Premium and 1024MB of memory. I was having occasional freeze issues, so I upgraded to two 1024 MB sticks from Crucial. After the upgrade I got more frequent freezes with Evt 5 (parity error on RaidPort0) & Evt 11 (Driver detected error on Hard Disk 0) in the event log. Rolled all drivers back to original versions (had most up-to-date ones before memory upgrade) and freezes became more frequent but previous events gone--replace with Event ID 129 (Reset on RaidPort0 issued). Have scanned for viruses (even swapped virus scanners and scanned a second time). Have run checkdisk, MS Memory test (no errors on regular or detailed scans), have turned off power mgmt for disk (always on), ran with Knoppix to copy off files--worked flawlessly.

A:T5230 Memory Upgrade--Vista Freezes

Shortly after posting this I got a BSoD and decided that a week of my life was enough to invest. I put the old memory back in and used my 4Gig SanDisk as a ReadyBoost device. Needless to say, I will avoid eMachines in the future.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/t5230-memory-upgrade-vista-freezes.795821/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hello together !

For your information:

Did a memory upgrade today at 2 Toshiba Satellite Pro 2100 (1,9 GH, 256 MB DDR-RAM originally), both up to 1 GB, all fine and not problems.

Just wanted to end rumours about "only 512 MB all together" or even less.

If searching for it, remember to think of the specifications:

DDR-266 (PC2100)
DDR-SDRAM, SO-DIMM
200 PIN
CL 2.5

concerning RAM frequency, building form etc.

Greetings

L0nestar

P.S.: Don`t think a discussion is necessary, thread could therefore be closed...

A:Satellite Pro 2100 - RAM Upgrade - Memory Upgrade

According the notebook specification Satellite Pro has two memory slots and can be upgraded up to 1 GB. It is very useful to have your confirmation about RAM upgrade for this old but still good notebook model.

Have a nice day.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?33597-Satellite-Pro-2100-RAM-Upgrade-Memory-Upgrade
Relevancy 73.53%

I am trying to upgrade from 2GB to 4BG at 1GB sticks. I recently got 2 Transcend 1gb sticks #TS128MLQ64V6J   (2 x 1GB = 2GB) 240-pin DIMM DDR2 PC-5300 RAM memory module for desktop PC
240-pin DIMM, unbuffered Non-ECC memory.
and they don't work, the 2 in my cpu now that work are Hynix 1GB 2rx8 pc2-5300u-555-12. I am trying to figure out why they don't work?

Regards    

A:Windows Vista Home Premium (Memory Upgrade Problem)

Looks to me as if those modules should work.  Remove the old modules, replace them with the new in the same slots.

Does system boot?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517697/windows-vista-home-premium-memory-upgrade-problem/
Relevancy 72.67%

AIM 6.5 Upgrade causes media to no longer play on versions of Vista DO NOT UPGRADE...the cause of media no longer playing on Windows Media Player and iTunes and all other media players was linked on my PC to the download and installation of AIM 6.5. It also caused my network icon in my system tray show i was no longer connected to a network, and it was an unknown network.

To fix these problems use the system restore program that Vista comes with and restore your PC to a saved version before your installation of AIM 6.5.

Hopefully this helps everyone having these problems.

Note: Aim will no longer work after doing system restore, so you have to re-install in, and if you dont have the install package for 6.0 saved somewhere on your computer do not re-install 6.5, go to the aim site and look for the classic version 5.9.

A:AIM 6.5 Upgrade causes media to no longer play on versions of Vista DO NOT UPGRADE

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/aim-6-5-upgrade-causes-media-to-no-longer-play-on-versions-of-vista-do-not-upgrade.645302/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi All I have a lot of programs and data so I recently upgraded my Windows XP SP setup to Windows Vista for Business with the intent of upgrading all the way up to Win and Win but I cannot get Windows Vista SP to upgrade nbsp I have tried many ways including all of the fixits through Windows update and through the stand alone nbsp I have also tried all of these steps all to Upgrade continue Vista Business upgrade SP1 so can not to will I Windows to no avail You can't install updates in Windows Vista Windows Windows Server or Windows Server R KB You receive a quot x quot error code when you use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates KB Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web site quot x B quot KB Error message when you try to upgrade Windows Vista to a more advanced version of Windows Vista quot Windows could not configure one or more system components To install Windows restart the computer and then restart the installation quot KB In Windows Update it says successful installation sometimes but then just keeps offering the Vista SP update nbsp Please help Thanks very much Windows Vista Business will not upgrade to SP1 so I can continue to Upgrade nbsp I have my CBS log and Windowsupdate log and I can post but don't see how to do that nbsp nbsp Barry

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4f8168d5-15ed-4afd-af20-e6697f1a129d/windows-vista-business-will-not-upgrade-to-sp1-so-i-can-continue-to-upgrade?forum=itprovistamigration
Relevancy 71.38%

I currently have Vista Home Premium. I accidentally overwritten a file on Nov. 27. Before that, it was last modified on Nov. 26, which is the version I need. I tried using the System Restore Point, Shadow Explorer, and Recuva, but they only go back to Nov. 10th/11th.

If I upgrade to Vista Ultimate now, will the "Previous Versions" option on that same file have the last modified date (Nov. 26th?). Or is there a better way to get the version I need with Vista Home Premium?

Thanks in advance.

A:If I upgrade to Vista Ultimate, will "Previous Versions" option apply to older files?

Hello, you could try this : Repair Install For Vista
Here is something worth checking out, not sure if this works for Vista or not, but, there are related tutorials at the bottom to read. Extract Files from Windows 7 Installation DVD - Windows 7 Forums
Edit : I found the vista tutorial : Extract Files from Vista Installation DVD

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293891-if-i-upgrade-vista-ultimate-will-previous-versions-option-apply-older-files.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I need to reinstall the Windows 7 Ultimate on my machine because of endless problems I am having after I changed my motherboard.

Currently installed OS is Ultimate 64bit which is an upgrade from Vista Home 64bit. The problem is I lost my both Vista and Ultimate DVDs and need to buy a new one.

If I buy Ultimate upgrade version, will it work? Can I install it over my current Ultimate, or will it require a lower grade of windows installed on the machine (e.g. Vista, W7 Home, Pro etc.)

Thanks for any help.

A:Installing W7 Ultimate upgrade over ummm... W7 Ultimate

Just use Magical jellybean keyfinder (or something similar) to extract the key that you used when installing win7 ultimate. Then just find a win7 ultimate installer (borrow a disk from a friend or download a clean iso off the web), install and use the extracted key to activate.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/157232-installing-w7-ultimate-upgrade-over-ummm-w7-ultimate.html