Windows Support Forum

Windows, Hard Disk and Documents and Settings Issue

Q: Windows, Hard Disk and Documents and Settings Issue

Hey guys I tried to switch on my laptop yesterday and windows wouldnt start up I was presented with two options Settings Windows, Hard Issue Disk and Documents and - Start a diagnostic to attempt to repair the problem or resume and Windows, Hard Disk and Documents and Settings Issue open windows anyway Trying to resume did nothing suggesting that there was indeed a problem I performed the diagnostic to try and see what was wrong with windows but it couldnt find a problem I did not have any restore points on the computer as it was relatively new just over months I was also under the impression restore points were created after new data was installed but perhaps i was wrong in that assumption I looked in the VAIO recovery area which was an advanced option given to me once the diagnostic had failed to turn up anything and performed a hardware diagnostic Again nothing Finally i attempted to rescue my files by loading my computers C drive onto an external hard disk I have tried this three times and each time it stops about or just over half way through with no explanation for why it has stopped When looking at the custom recovery i looked for the Documents and Settings folder as this was the main thing i wanted to be recovered However when i found the folder it said it was empty So here is my problem - Windows will not open - I cannot rescue recover data as something is interrupting the transferring of files onto an external hard drive - My Documents and Settings folder appears to be empty My computer uses Norton internet security and as far as i knew was fully updated Has a virus caused this do you think If you guys could give me some suggestions on what to do especially in trying to recover data from my Documents and Settings folder if it can be recovered i would really appreciate it thanks nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows, Hard Disk and Documents and Settings Issue

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 67.08%

Hey there Apologies for opening a second topic but the guy who is very kindly helping me with the initial problem says he does not know about Restoring hard files disk from and potential 'Windows.old' settings failure? - file restore Here is my original topic which is still open and unresolved as yet http Restoring files and settings from 'Windows.old' - potential hard disk failure? www bleepingcomputer com forums topic html page view findpost p fromsearch Basically I have had to install a new Windows Vista on my machine and all my files and settings have been saved in a folder called Windows old Basically I could not boot up my machine without getting a BSOD - whether it s was normally or even in Safe Mode The problem began when I got some Malware on my machine and it would not allow me to open files off my second hard drive which had no OS installed on it without giving an error message and saying I needed to download Windows something or other to defrag and repair the disk Much to my shame it looked legit but I quickly realised it wasn t So I uninstalled the program and then tried to run Combo Fix to clean things up I ve used CF s of times before and never had an issue Anyway CF asked if I wanted to update so I did and then it began doing its thing However an error message appeared saying there wasn t enough disk space to create a restore point and then it restarted and that s when the BSOD issue started The error was STOP x E and then it began a crash dump which took a few seconds before the machine rebooted The way I fixed this was be reinstalling Vista I followed some steps on Microsoft about restoring from Windows old but when I did the BSOD error reappeared Also the machine is not picking up my second hard disk where the malware was originally found It is an IDE hard drive connected to a SATA MB with a coverter and has worked fine for three years now with no issues I d be very grateful for any help on either problem

A:Restoring files and settings from 'Windows.old' - potential hard disk failure?

Too much confusing information for me to follow, so let me just say this. If there was malware on your system and you did not format before reinstalling the OS, you did not get rid of the malware. You might want to post in the malware forum(s) on this site.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/380390/restoring-files-and-settings-from-windowsold-potential-hard-disk-failure/
Relevancy 64.93%

My laptop died a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine tested the laptop hard-drive and apparently the disk is non-bootable (he's in IT so did the analysis with a devide to test the hard-drive directly) and corrupted. So I put the hard-drive in an enclosure kit and I'm using it to retrieve some of the files in the disk.

The problem is that I can't access the 'Documents and Settings' folders because I can't boot the disk and I guess i need to start the system with my profile password. Is there a way I can access the files in my profile folder?

System in the old hard drive: Win 7 64-bit
New laptop: Same

A:Solved: How can I access 'Documents and Settings' from a non-bootable hard-drive (ext

With a corrupted disc there's no way to predict what files will still be readable.

You will not be able to access 'Documents and Settings' if the drive contained only Vista or 7; in those OSes 'Documents and Settings' is a junction point (not a folder) whose purpose is to allow old programs to access folders/files that used to be there but in Vista and 7 are in C:\Users. Can you access <drive>:\Users?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-can-i-access-documents-and-settings-from-a-non-bootable-hard-drive-ext.954271/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hey! I have a problem here, i'm trying to recover some data for a friend, i took his hard drive out of his laptop and hooked it up, but the docs and settings folder is denied. I'm running XP Home Sp2, and i've looked around on the net before coming here.

All of the sites so far have said that you need to take ownership of the folder, so i dled and installed security configuration manager, restarted, and sure enough i could see the security tab on every folder on all three of my hard drives and the laptop hard drive, EXCEPT the Docs and settings folder...so i tried the hard drive itself,...i went in and changed ownership to myself with all subcontainers as well, still no luck.....

and ive tried in safe mode as well, which didn't do anything

A:Access Denied - Documents and Settings on crashed hard drive

Probably sounds stupid, but did you check the properties of the folder to see if it's read/write protected or encrypted?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-denied-documents-and-settings-on-crashed-hard-drive-405032.html
Relevancy 64.93%

The title basically explains it. I don't have a security tab when I right click on properties. I searched for a solution already, and I downloaded the security thing for NT, but I restarted and it didn't work. I really need to access this folder, as it was the whole reason I saved the hard drive and didn't reformat it when I had to fix my computer. It has about 40gb of music and documents and irreplacable pictures.

Relevancy 64.07%

So I have been having problems with my original Hard Disk for awhile now sometimes windows takes over minutes to boot other times it doesn t boot at all black screen no boot device available This was new Issue Windows to Solved: Migrating Disk Hard happening before I completely wiped the drive and did a USB installation and still is happening after the fact I m at the point where fixing the original HD no longer interests me I have other HDs and have decided to migrate windows to one of them and abandon the original HD However I am finding this hard to do I have tried using the program Paragon Hard Disk Manager as well as AOMEI Backupper and neither is able to complete the transfer An error occurs and either the programs reports a failure Solved: Issue Migrating Windows to new Hard Disk or the pc reboots In both cases no files were Solved: Issue Migrating Windows to new Hard Disk transferred to the destination HD nor was a partition even created I still have the Installation Media on USB Downloaded from Microsoft and am wondering if I can skip the migration and install it directly on the second HD My concern is Windows was pre-installed and I have no serial key or other key to authenticate the installation I am at an impasse as to what my next move should be I have also ran MalwareBytes Hitman Pro and adwcleaner No change nbsp

A:Solved: Issue Migrating Windows to new Hard Disk

If Windows 8 or 8.1 was preinstalled the Windows Product Key is embedded in a chip on the motherboard, and you can install onto a different hard drive the same way you did on the original hard drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-issue-migrating-windows-to-new-hard-disk.1145064/
Relevancy 63.64%

The hard disk containing my My Documents folder broke down completely recently. While windows is still running off my main hard disk, I notice that my My Documents folder is missing. Under Documents, I have Public Documents, but not the My Document Folder. How can I restore it? (Without making a new account, reinstalling windows...etc.)

I'm using Windows 7 professional
The Hard disk in question is unrecoverable and I have to get it replaced. My MAIN hard disk is still working. Hence this problem

Please help! Thanks you.

A:How to restore My Documents? Hard disk Containing My Doc broke down.

Was your My Documents folder redirected to the second hard drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/213981-how-restore-my-documents-hard-disk-containing-my-doc-broke-down.html
Relevancy 62.78%

My Vista Operating System Hard Disk Just crashed hard from crashed a documents disk vista my Recover OS It was running Vista Home Premium My Computer is an HP in media centre PC I have managed to salvage most data off it from the other partitions as well as the C except the my documents which has all my user files on them I have already tried using an XP computer to get into the hard disk but it doesnt allow me to change the securities from there Have tried changing security ownership by using articles from the Recover my documents from a crashed vista OS hard disk forum by goin on the security tab in XP but its not allowing me to change this for the documents and settings Is it located elsewhere by any chance Am i changing the wrong folder At the minute it just shows the folder grayed out with no access to it you do not have permission message and its disk size shown is mb Assuming this is becuase of a security issue I also bought a new hard disk and used the hp restore disks to re add windows vista on that hard disk Now on that system i cannot access my old hard disk and i get a blue screen If i attempt to only boot from my old hard disk i get a x b x d oxc ox x error Please help Me desperate now

A:Recover my documents from a crashed vista OS hard disk

Documents & Settings is not a folder but a junction point pointing to the users folder.
It is the same for the My documents icon.
So from the other PC, your documents are somewhere else if you moved the location or in c:\users\yourusername\
There once you discovered the path of your files/folders, you can take ownership and transfer your files.
Next time as soon as you have installed your OS, move the location of your "Documents" folder in another partition.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/158420-recover-my-documents-crashed-vista-os-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I will try to keep this as brief as possible and yet give you wise and wonderful tech persons all the information you need to help me Disk Broken Thread similar disk" Hard "Help! Hard Solved: to issue out I am intelligent but NOT a super-user I have an e-machines desktop computer It is old A Cyrix MII processor with upgraded memory I have a gb Maxtor hard drive which is the issue at hand I am running Win My home computer the e-machine desktop is networked through a router with my printer and my business laptop The problem Win loads and boots It LOOKS like it s functioning properly However it cannot read any of the files on the disk When I try it tells me C is inaccessible I can t search explore etc The files are quot non-existent quot I Solved: Hard Disk issue similar to "Help! Broken Hard disk" Thread managed to get Windows to create a backup of it and saved that file to my Laptop Solved: Hard Disk issue similar to "Help! Broken Hard disk" Thread I can only quot assume quot that it actually backed up ALL the files on the drive so they are safe One really ODD thing you should know is Solved: Hard Disk issue similar to "Help! Broken Hard disk" Thread that I cannot get into the BIOS When it boots and usually gives you that second or two to hit F and enter setup doesn t do that any more I sit and hold the F key Nope I ve second-guessed myself and tried the ESC key and the F key I ve tried it with and without the CTRL key Nothing So I can t even tell the silly thing to boot from the CD instead load onto my D backup drive and then kill the C drive It s like it s possessed Things I ve already tried not necessarily in this order I got a paging error while booting so I followed the directions to increase my virtual memory it says there are zero MB of data available on my C drive -- maxed out or non-existent I can t tell -- but it wouldn t allow the change Not enough space Disk Management it says there are no appropriate partitions however it still boots I don t get that After frustration set in and finally getting what I hope will be a good backup I tried to re-format the disk so I could reload Win from the CD It would not re-format Sometimes it said C was inaccessible and sometimes it said the volume was already in use No reformatting I booted into safe mode in Command version It wouldn t read C Inaccessible I tried to boot from the CD and reload Win over the existing The volume is in use I tried to boot from the CD and completely wipe out the disk and re-install Wouldn t do it I tried to simply delete all the data Inaccessible I ve plugged and replugged the cables and swapped them around to make sure it isn t them Still a problem In Safe Mode with Command screen it defaults to c documents and settings administrator I can change the directory to c documents and settings but no lower than that When I try to get a directory list it is inaccessible I tried to repartition it Inaccessible How can it boot and run Win with networking and have zero disk space I would like to retrieve all the data on there and quot fix quot the drive and go on with life However I am willing to trust the backup I made for the miscellaneous files I don t back up regularly quicken amp some others are backed up regularly on my extra drive so they re okay Is that backup going to be worthless all things considered I think that covers it I ll amend this post if I think of anything else you might need to know Thank you in advance I have not been out here for some time but in the past you have been really helpful Thank you Greg nbsp

A:Solved: Hard Disk issue similar to "Help! Broken Hard disk" Thread

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-disk-issue-similar-to-help-broken-hard-disk-thread.384330/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello all....
well earlyer today i wanted to restric the acess of the drives on the other user accounts on my computer, so i changed the local disk C security settings and denyed acess for the user's thinking this wouldnt affect me as an admin or you know the whole other admin account "netuser adminitrator" but no such luck.. the only thing i can access is my documents pictures etc but its read only.

what the hell can i do?
Ive tried taking owner ships with cmds and a reg file i downloded said sucess but still got the friendly C access is denied!

system restore is a no go either

A:Hard disk security Settings

dont help this guy he is just a troll. all he will do is abuse u wen u try to help him. he is know as a major troll on CyberGamer - Australian eSports News, Competitive Gaming Communities, Movies, Forums, Ladders and Leagues an now he is just looking for someone else to troll. ignore this fwit

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/56017-hard-disk-security-settings.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I have 2 IDE hd and 1 SATA hd. C: is set to IDE hd 1, E: to SATA hd in the windows install menu. In bios: this order is given: 1 SATA hd 2 IDE hd master 3 IDE hd slave
How do I set C: to SATA hd, so I can install win xp on C: on SATA hd ? I would prefer to do this without opening the pc-case.

Relevancy 59.34%

What should I backup from documents and settings in Windows XP if I only want to backup the Windows XP settings changes that I made to it?

I do not need to backup the settings changes that I made to my programs. Just changes to the OS settings.

Sevenforums only links to vistax64.com and doesn't have a xpforums.com... so I'm posting it here.

A:What should I backup from documents and settings in Windows XP?

Those settings are stored in hidden AppData files, however I would not reimport them as they are a corruption path. Better to start afresh with new settings for your OS and programs.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/128182-what-should-i-backup-documents-settings-windows-xp.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I downloaded seven on the same hdd that my xp was loaded onto and it created the 'windows.old' folder. i wanted to delete this folder because it had nothing i wanted to keep, however, when i tried to do so, the 'documents and settings' folder would not delete.

when i try to delete it, i get this message: 'this is no longer located in C:\Users\kyle\Desktop. Verify the item's location and try again.'

any ideas on what to do so that i can delete this folder would be greatly appreciated.

A:documents and settings folder of windows.old

Try and log off then log on again to see if it's still there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/8961-documents-settings-folder-windows-old.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi, if anyone could help me with this, it would be great!

All of a sudden when I try to open my C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents folder, it says "access denied"

running xp home sp2.

any suggestions?

oh, I did a google for solutions and various pages often suggested I turn off simple file sharing, but the option is non existant under my file/view menu...

A:Access Denied to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

It sounds to me as though the administrator has made that directory path private. Are you the admin, and if so, are you logged into a user account with admin rights? If all else fails, reboot and log into the Administrator account and go to the control panel/users and change your preferred account status. While you're there, unlock the problem path to allow all users to view.

Good Luck!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-denied-to-c-documents-and-settings-all-users-documents-15657.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Yeah,.. I know that this is an old question that's been around since XP was a new-born. I need to to move "Documents and Settings" from drive C to D because I have about 80 gig spare space on D drive. I've been trawling the various forums and help sites for a few days now and it just seems to be in the "too hard" basket with a plethora of conflicting ways to achieve success. It appears that if Docs and Settings wasn't put on D drive during the initial clean install, then it is a real pain to move it later.
I'd like a straight answer from my trusted friends on TSF as to whether it is possible or not,.. if it involves jumping through lotsa hoops and delving deeply & dangerously into the registry, then I'm not interested. But if there is indeed an easy fix, then let's hear about it.

Thanks guys & gals

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-move-documents-and-settings-from-drive-c-to-d-windows-xp-pro-450167.html
Relevancy 58.48%

during startup i get a pop-up displaying message Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\give.exe.

in addition when sutting down, it says end program-sylePromotion.exe,
which then shows the program is not responding.I have to choose End Now
for pc to continue shutdown.

The pc is not connecting to the internet and is becoming very slow. Am i virus infected? have scanned with AVG 9.0 but nothing is found.

can anyone please help?

thanx

DB

A:Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\giv.exe

Hello and welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

Download the tools needed to a flash drive or other removable media, and transfer them to the infected computer, if you don't have access to internet.

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/windows-cannot-find-c-documents-and-settings-user-giv-exe-452348.html
Relevancy 58.48%

A while ago i was having severe problems with windows xp, so I did a repair installation(i think). Whatever it was, it essentially deleted the winxp system files and reinstalled it. I created my user account using the same name as last time, but ran into a problem: because windows detected a folder with that username on it already, it created a new one with the format of username.computername. This is created numerous problems, including but not limited to me not being able to upload things via ftp from my my documents folder because the directory path gives the ftp programs a heart attack. Does anyone know how i could change what directory windows looks at for my files?

A:Windows xp account documents and settings folder

To change the path to my documents:

just right click on the my documents folder, the path is listed as an option..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-account-documents-and-settings-folder.185846/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello again guys, I cant open shortcuts from desktop without getting this message: Windows cannot find 'c:\documents and settings. I had to put links into bookmarks to avoid this error or message. The pages will open but just wondering if something is set wrong or do I have some kind of other problem. Plus I get Script errors sometimes. Any ideas? Thank You, Joe

Relevancy 58.05%

ULTIMATE HARD DISK SETTINGS - brain racking question Respected Tech gurus and dear forum members Here goes the situation I have one INTEL GBF motherboard SETTINGS ULTIMATE racking DISK brain question - HARD As far as I have understood and correct me if i am wrong i can attach six devices be it Hard disk or optical drive Two sata hard disks can be attached to two sata interfaces and Two pata hard disks cab be attached to EACH ide interfaces Thus all in all hard disks or say hard disks and one CD rom can be attached on my intel GBF motherboard Now furthermore i also understand that for SATA hard disks there is no problem of master slave But for each pata HDD attached to either IDE channel we ULTIMATE HARD DISK SETTINGS - brain racking question can have primary master primary slave secondary master secondary slave NOW MY QUESTION IS THAT Say I am having two SATA hard disks SATA Hard Disk One with windows advanced server OS GB SATA Hard Disk Two with windows XP professional GB ALso I am having three PATA hard disks PATA Hard Disk One with windows advanced server OS GB PATA Hard Disk Two with windows XP professional GB PATA Hard Disk Three with windows XP professional GB In addition last but not the least one CD-ROM drive BIG QUESTION WHAT SHOULD BE MY SETTINGS which pata hard disk should be connected to which ide channel and whether as master or slave SO THAT I AM ABLE TO BOOT FROM ANY HARD DISK i get a choice when i power on my computer to select hard disk i want to be in AND AFTER BOOTING FROM A PARTICULAR HARD DISK BE ABLE TO ACCESS DATA OF ALL REMAINING HARD DISKS SIMULTANEOUSLY Please reply in detail specifying which hard disk for pata should be master slave on what channel and reasons if possible Regards Sunando p s Is there any rule standard which we have to adhere to while connecting PATA HDD and CD ROM to motherboard What If i do not connect CD-Rom as Primary Master but say as Secondary Slave nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

I am running Windows 7 on my notebook, as the owner and admin.....
I try to access this folder, and I cannot...in fact it appears as a shortcut rather than a folder...i have run antivirus, and malware, found nothing....
tried to change the security....all users has rights to it, the admin does not and cannot be changed....any ideas?

A:C:\Documents and Settings\all users\documents DENIED!!!

It looks like one of the junction points that provides some backwards compatibility and which shows when unhiding files in Control Panel>Folder Options>View. There is no Documents and Settings folder in Win7, except as a junction point.

Read more about junction points here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

In Win7 Documents is under All Users>[User Name]>Documents. Perhaps you should hide Hidden and System Files again to see only the WIn7 folders you need.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/218841-c-documents-settings-all-users-documents-denied.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi guys I will try to explain this as simple as i can So let's start my disk,hard Windows about Confused disk on problem hard installing I have laptop ASUS N SF and it is a year old so i have decided to format I have Confused about installing Windows on my hard disk,hard disk problem two separate hard disks that are the same brand SeaGate AS each gb capacity Before i decided to format one of my hard disks that is my partition Confused about installing Windows on my hard disk,hard disk problem D started to make strange noises and it was not recognized but i was using my laptop without problems because my windows was installed on my other hard disk that is my partition C So now my question is this After i formatted them both i have no clue which one is which they are like Disk Partition gb Disk Partition gb So how do i choose the one that is better and not having problems to pust my winodows on I know that i can buy new one and replace it with the one that is having problems but right now i have no money to do that I am student Thanks in advance

A:Confused about installing Windows on my hard disk,hard disk problem

I'm willing to bet that Disk 1 is the bad hard drive since the bad hard drive was the D: drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/292719-confused-about-installing-windows-my-hard-disk-hard-disk-problem.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello,

Here is the situation : I work in two schools with different domains. I had to setup 2 windows 10 in dual boot on my computer. So depending on what school I am working at the moment I start windows 10 (I) or windows 10 (II).
Relocating desktop folder, documents, music, video's, pictures is no problem.
But is there a possibility to share also the rest of the documents and setting. It's like using roaming profiles on your own computer? It would be easy to have the same settings in both windows 10 machines.

Many thx for the help

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/39097-dual-boot-windows-10-shared-documents-settings.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Whenever i Start my computer!!!!!!I get this message-Windows cannot find
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\feivjo.exe......What should i do to prevent this message.

A:Windows cannot findC:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\feivjo.exe

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-cannot-findc-documents-and-settings-administrator-feivjo-exe.878291/
Relevancy 58.05%

anytime i try to access documents and settings, am told access is denied.i want to paste a file at startup but because of this i cant.Also am trying to let my pc welcome me after booting but i cant pls assist memessage edited by EddyEmrysAsante

A:Access Denied for Windows 8.1 Documents & Settings folder

That is the correct condition - you are not supposed to be able to access that area. If you have tried to force the issue undo whatever you have done before you hit trouble, using System Restore if necessary.This is the path you want to get you to the Startup folder:"C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"You need to say what this welcome idea is about - a screen message, audio or what? You can put a shortcut in Startup to whatever you wish.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanksmessage edited by Derek

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/access-denied-for-windows-81-documents-settings-folder-/2011.html
Relevancy 57.62%

C:/Documents and Settings/Uses(My Username)/Local Settings/Temp/browserview-1d31630.htm

This file, and all the files with the name 'browserview-xxxxxx(number).htm are needed, mine got corrupted and I accidentally deleted them.

Can someone post these files?

A:C:/Documents and Settings/Uses(My Username)/Local Settings/Temp/browserview-1d31630.h

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-documents-and-settings-uses-my-username-local-settings-temp-browserview-1d31630-h.617172/
Relevancy 57.62%

i cant get rid of the files in C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5....NOTHING ive tried has worked....any information on how i can get rid of them would be GREAT!!

A:C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.

Hi Welcome to TSG!!

If you log on as administrator you should be able to delete everything in the C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 folder.

If you sign in as "owner" you should be able to remove everything except index.dat if you close all of your browser windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-documents-and-settings-owner-local-settings-temp-temporary-internet-files-content.567350/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi I recently repaired an XP Professional installation and now i no longer have the option to login but and windows settings start up at folder documents has no user login has to the old profile just a default profile with admin rights The profile still has its documents and settings folder with everything intact and all programs from the original profile seem to be in program files The user also does not appear in local users and groups I have even been able to move over the application data and open a program which remained authorized and had access to previous presets I also made a new profile and in the registry changed the profile image path to that of the old profiles folder I m not sure why it just seemed important to see the old desktop again which i do but all the paths for the programs or at least most of them are set to quot I quot changing the path to quot C quot worked on some programs anyway i user has no login at windows start up but has documents and settings folder digress what am i missing here am I able to regain the previous access nbsp

A:user has no login at windows start up but has documents and settings folder

If anyone could just point me in the right direction, i'll take it from there but i just dont know where to go from here.
is it a registry problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-has-no-login-at-windows-start-up-but-has-documents-and-settings-folder.1135598/
Relevancy 57.19%

This has been bugging me for a while it pops up whenever I start the computer. I don't know to much about how to do things so please have some patients with me. If you can help me than I might just love you forever.

A:Error loading C:\Documents and Settings\ Network Service\ Local Settings\ Application Data\ hrcopul.dll

Have you run any scans for infections? I Googled hrcopul.dll, and everything that I found points to a infection.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/201901/error-loading-cdocuments-and-settings-network-service-local-settings-application-data-hrcopuldll/
Relevancy 57.19%

So i had some problems with my pc so i had my windows re-installed , but it probably didn't get formatted properly .

Some of my previous programs were there in C:\Program Files .Some worked , some didn't . I deleted the programs which didn't work , manually by pressing Shift+Del. So , today I found out that in my documents and settings folder i have a normal allusers and default user folder and Allusers.WINDOWS and Defaultuser.WINDOWS folders .

So now i want to delete these but i cannot because it shows that it is a folder required by system to run .

Help would be appreciated , thanks

A:Allusers.WINDOWS and Defaultuser.WINDOWS in documents and settings

Right...it is a system folder...and even if you delete it, it will reappear on reboot.

But you can delete the contents of such folders.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/454493/alluserswindows-and-defaultuserwindows-in-documents-and-settings/
Relevancy 56.76%

When I started up it says Win.ini corrupt. Then it starts
up as a new user losing track of Favorites and Start Menu
and Desktop Icons, Display and Folder attributes. Under
Documents and Settings it has added Dave.U5R2D5 in
addition to Dave which still has all the information. I tried
switching the 2 Filenames to get back to what it used to be but
gave an error message and didn't do it and started another new file.
Is there some way to use the old Dave file?

A:Lost settings, New user made in Documents and Settings

Hiya asd123321.

It sounds like you`ve re-installed the system from CD over the top of an existing system, giving you a fresh `Dave`. Have you recently run a repair or indeed, done a clean install ?

As a work-around, can you take the documents & favourites from the old `Dave` and put them in the new `Dave` so at least you`re back up and running again.

Jenny

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-settings-new-user-made-in-documents-and-settings.920132/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi tech guys, today I experienced a lockup during Windows startup. I had some strange errors in the past days so it was a little expected. Kind of a big problem but nothing a Windows reinstallation can't fix.

Last time such a thing happened, it simply formatted my whole HDD, losing all my documents and programs. This time, I tried to only reinstall my windows folder using a boot from cd to keep my files. All worked as expected besides that I lost all my sessions. Since all my files are in a protected folder that can only be viewed a session that doesn't exist anymore I'm screwed.

How do I hack these protections and get my stuff back?

A:Accessing passworded users documents and settings (windows XP reintallation problem)

If they are passworded or encrypted, then you are done.

If they are only under new ownership:

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-passworded-users-documents-and-settings-windows-xp-reintallation-problem.627192/
Relevancy 56.76%

hi i very stupidly while the computer was running took a hd labeled MX1 out of sata cable and replaced with hd labled F1. when restarted i guess it confused it or somethign and now every time i start computer the computer calles the F1 HD MX1 and disk checkup thing comes up when start computer. now i bypassed the disk checkup and cant open the hd in my computer. says its corrupted or somthing. now i tryed the disk checkup after that then i keep seeing deleting index entry a bunch of times, and then i started seeing names of my stuff on the hard drive next to deleting index entry i panicked and switched off the computer in fear its deleting my stuff. i have verrrry imp files on this hd. please!!! someone save my life and tell me wahtt to do

Relevancy 56.76%

Hello I m facing a very strange problem in my pc I switched off my pc days before on next log on I got a message on screen of File Missing from System Config System i renewed the window used it for few time and switched off the pc on next log on i faced same error again I inserted window s cd followed the process untill Start of Setup on Blue Screen ova there in Partitions list it was like written below C Local Disk Unknown D Local Disk NTFS E Local Disk NTFS This UNKNOWN made me suspicious I changed the hard disk with another one amp installed new windows it worked fine for next day but today again the same error as said above unfortunately I ve lost another drive as well which shows Unknown in its file system amp hence it has stopped working I really have very imp data in it so please give me some guide lines to fix this error without losing precious data Thank you I ve installed Win XP SP from the same cd Disk's SP2] XP [Win Issue Hard I ve been installing b and in these days today is th time I installed the windows Awaiting answer nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disks-issue-win-xp-sp2.1078331/
Relevancy 56.76%

hello sir,          i have hp dv6 3049 tx model and facing the hard disk problem. sir i want ask you which hard disk will be the best for this model laptop if i want purchase inetrnal hard disk? 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/issue-regarding-hard-disk/td-p/5670107
Relevancy 56.76%

Laptop started running really slow, tried a restart and won't load.    Running diagnostics gives the following hard drive error.Failure id: PGFR79-6LB86W-MFPWWJ-60D703 Is there any way to recover the hard drive or the data off the hard drive? Or am i screwed?

A:Hard Disk Issue

Hi,           The Failure ID refers to Hard Disk 1 SMART Hard Drive Detects Imminent Failure, you have to replace the Hard disk drive and if the unit is under warranty call the HP Technical Support. They will be able to get this replaced under warranty. About data recovery you can try connecting this Hard disk drive to a working unit and if the HDD gets detected in that, then you can recover the data.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Disk-Issue/td-p/5719533
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello, I am facing a problem with my hard disk. I was trying to download a torrent and after sometime utorrent gave me an error message: "Error: Data error(Cyclic Redundancy Check)".
Please help to solve this problem.

Hard drive is failing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-issue.1009975/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello all,I am new to this forum,i have question regarding hard disk, i dropped my hard disk and now it not working. what should i do?

A:Hard disk issue

If the drive is no longer detected then you would have to send it out for service. This could be costly. You could contact the HDD manufacturer to see what they offer for data recovery services. Most people with drives with not very important data just toss the drive and start fresh with a new HDD or SSD. SSD would be the better choice for a drive that might get dropped in the future, although your sacrificing storage capacity for a drive that is shock proof.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,151181.0.html
Relevancy 56.76%

My sip runs immediately on start up which has never happened prior to 2 weeks ago and is a pain in the butt but I understand it is a good thing apparently. However it does not seem to get out of lazy mode when I give it something to do! I think my hard disk may have a problem but I have no idea what to look for? Can anyone help or suggest?
Thank you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-disk-issue-511810.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello,

I have 1TB Seagate STAT II HDD but I have some issue with it's transfer speed. Transfer speed between partition is just 30-40mb/s on average while it should be more than this.

Can anyone help on this?

Regards

Run this from Win7: http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...o/index-e.html

Then download, burn run Seatools extended CD diagnostics/repair HD scan: SeaTools Seagate

Run Disk Check - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/157076-hard-disk-issue.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello I have a problem with my data hard drive ST DM - CH ATA TB which suddenly shrunk to GB I went to Disk Management and it shows one partition of GB unallocated I haven't formatted or anything as I wouldn't like to lose the data I have on it which amounts to over TB I went to BIOS and to my surprise it no longer reads the disk as a TB drive but as a GB one only I successfully updated the BIOS to its latest version and still no luck Then I read somewhere SeaTools DOS version might do the trick so I downloaded and burnt it to a CD then I ran the program and Disk Issue Hard it said there was an error in the partition of the hard disk in question I truly don't know what to do I'm thinking of taking the computer to the shop so a professional can look into it but if anyone comes up with ideas I would really appreciate it

Originally Posted by Nando Frade

Hello,

I have a problem with my data hard drive (ST3000DM001-1CH166 ATA (3 TB)), which suddenly shrunk to 128GB.

I went to Disk Management and it shows one partition of 128 GB unallocated. I haven't formatted or anything as I wouldn't like to lose the data I have on it, which amounts to over 1TB. I went to BIOS and, to my surprise, it no longer reads the disk as a 3TB drive but as a 128GB one only!! I successfully updated the BIOS to its latest version and still... no luck...

Then I read somewhere SeaTools (DOS version) might do the trick so I downloaded and burnt it to a CD, then I ran the program and it said there was an error in the partition of the hard disk in question.

I truly don't know what to do... I'm thinking of taking the computer to the shop so a professional can look into it, but if anyone comes up with ideas, I would really appreciate it!

System Restore:
1. Go here --C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\ and run the program cleanmgr.exe
2. Now click "Files from all users on this pc"
3. Click OK
4. When the windows opens up click the tab "more options"
5. Then click "System restore and shadow copies" tab "clean up" Click delete
6. Then OK
7. Then Delete
8. Check your hard drive space I you will have gained a lot of gigabytes back.
9. Done!

Warning!

1. Dont do this too often because if something goes wrong with the pc you wont have anything to fall back on
2. Don't disable system restore, its there to protect the system, can you imagine you if did a windows update and updated the graphics driver and it disable your display? You wont be able to roll back because there would be no restore point.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/51900-hard-disk-issue.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I am having this Hard Disk problem My old Hard Disk Samasung GB bought in started showing signs of corruption like Windows doing chkdsk at every boot and data getting lost So I bought a NEW Hard Disk Western Digital TB last on a hard disk "Windows hard problem" disk new detected month Sep to backup all the data from old one I didn't have time to backup but wanted to use PC so I Clean Installed Windows bit on the New Western Digital TB and used it about a month without any problems A couple of days ago i decided to backup up the data I reformatted the New Western Digital TB with Gparted "Windows detected a hard disk problem" on new hard disk and did a clean Windows Install again I connected the old Samsung GB to the motherboard and started copying the files to the new Western Digital TB Suddenly Windows showed me an error Windows detected a hard disk problem which makes sense because the Samsung GB is old and might be failing BUT the error is showing both of my "Windows detected a hard disk problem" on new hard disk Hard disk in the dialog box Is my new hard disk corrupt as well Why is Windows showing my new hard disk as failing Can Windows mistakenly show both hard disk in error Please help i am confused sorry for a confusing question i will answer anything required I have taken the screenshot of the error message they are in attached files The st Screenshot shows both my Hard disk in the error box OLD Samsung and NEW Western Digital WD The nd Screenshot shows only one of my Hard disk and its the new one Western digital WD

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629435/windows-detected-a-hard-disk-problem-on-new-hard-disk/
Relevancy 56.33%

I love this site you volunteers are most helpful and knowledgeable PC HPOS Windows XP Media Center Edition Version Service Pack PROBLEM Whenever I navigate to quot Windows Internet Connection Error in and message Explorer: Settings\My Profile" "Documents C Documents and Settings My Profile quot where quot My Profile quot is my user folder in Windows Explorer I receive the following error message Internet Connection ErrorYour request cannot be completed because the Internet Connection Error message in Windows Explorer: "Documents and Settings\My Profile" service couldnot be found or did not respond The service might beexperiencing technical difficulties or you may need to adjustyour network settings Try Again Cancel note There is an extra space before the first quot service quot and I don t recall seeing a similar typo in other Windows error messages I must press quot Cancel quot three times successively as three identical error messages pop up This happens every time this folder is navigated to It does not happen with any of the other profile folders in quot Documents and Settings quot This problem cropped up after I ran the disk cleanup tool and uninstalled unwanted programs and windows components Chief on my list of suspects are the uninstall of quot Outlook quot and quot HP Customer Participation quot I m not certain of the exact program name but the description said it was for HP owners to be included in market research and be informed of special offers I also uninstalled quot Windows Live Messenger quot quot Sonic RecordNow DVD quot and there may have been a few others but the only ones I distinctly recall were programs my mom installed and were not vital or used by other programs The windows components I removed were quot Internet Games quot in the quot Games quot branch of quot Accessories and Utilities quot a couple screen savers and quot Windows Dancer quot and quot Windows Party Mode quot under the quot Windows Digital Media enhancements quot branch quot Windows Messenger quot Intriguingly when I just opened the Windows Components Wizard to see what I had changed the quot Networking Services quot box is shaded and I m almost certain it was not shaded when I used the Wizard earlier and I did not make any changes to that branch I also have no idea what was checked before but currently quot Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client quot is the only checked box After running the disk clean-up I defragged this drive and created a system restore point I am now thinking it has something to do with the change to quot Networking Services quot Again this only happens in my user folder and only on that screen If I were to click on quot Application Data quot nothing would happen but if I were to navigate backwards to that screen the error would pop up times in a row again Thank you in advance for your assessment

A:Internet Connection Error message in Windows Explorer: "Documents and Settings\My Profile"

Hi .Have you tried running chkdsk from My Computer/Explorer?XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html Scroll down to directions for using the Graphical interface.You might also take a look at Event Viewer and see if there are any clues, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/218757/internet-connection-error-message-in-windows-explorer-documents-and-settingsmy-profile/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi sorry to be one of those guys whos first post is one asking for help but here I am so I appreciate any and all help and hope one day I can reciprocate the favor I also havent seen this problem described anywhere else online and thought people may find it fascinating as well When logging into the Primary user with admin privaledges account the desktop no longer has files and icons it used to have and the start menu no longer shows the User XP redirected set empty and documents account of to login settings folders Windows list of dfault or frequently opened programs some programs but not all are also Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders missing from the start menu programs section If I open my documents from the start menu it takes me to an empty folder not even my music or my pictures default folders inside I also have restricted permissions and cannot change any of the folder view options such as show hidden files Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders and folders When examing the Documents and settings folder I found a new folder called quot TEMP quot inside are the standard user account folders application data local settings documents desktop etc these folders now contained whatever I put in the my documents folder or on the desktop The actual user name being logged into still has its folder located in the documents and settings folder and still has its files and folders intact It seems that the login however now has these new TEMP folders associated with it and a scan of Malware bytes has revealed nothing more then an ask com adware toolbar but I believe the virus may have been removed prior to me having the computer in my possesion So is there a way to undo this login redirect or should I just create a new user account and move the files into it Edit more info in the event log is this is event source userenv Event ID Type Error Description Windows cannot load the user s profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system DETAIL - Access is denied Steps I have taken so far ran CHKDSK to automaticaly fix filesystem errors only minor inconsistencies were found like unused index entries Had to set static network ip information to connect to the internet certain windows folders like windows registration had no permissions for administrators or system Edit looks like I have found a solution and its possible that this profile issue was simply a coincidence but this KB article has fixed the issue by changing the profile registry key maybe someone else will find it usefull http support microsoft com kb

A:Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders

Welcome aboard Let's see, if we can recover your missing features.Download and run UnHideThen....Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.=============================================================================Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList last 10 Event Viewer logList Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result.=============================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt=============================================================================Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.IMPORTANT! If for some reason GMER refuses to run, try again.If it still fails, try to UN-check "Devices" in right pane.If still no joy, try to run it from Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/408043/windows-xp-user-account-login-redirected-to-empty-set-of-documents-and-settings-folders/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi:

My friends computer appears to have gotten a mean virus or spyware. Windows will not successfully start. I removed the drive and set it up as an external drive and scanned it with SuperAntiSpyWare, AVG and MalWarebytes Antimalware. All found some trojans and viruses, apparently removing them all. However, I still cannot access his profile or the administrator profile--all report access denied.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

A:Windows continually restarts/Documents & Settings user profile access denied

Hi:

I also tried booting up with an Ubuntu boot cd and I still couldn't access either the administrator or the user profile. Any ideas?

Tom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/296152/windows-continually-restartsdocuments-settings-user-profile-access-denied/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all, this is my first thread here. May be a little n00bish but here goes.

Ive dealt with almost every problem Ive had with my comp but this one has me stumped. I just tried to install a program and cant because the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents folder denies me access. I have administrator rights and all that guff and it annoys me horribly the thought I dont have access everywhere on my computer. Ive been though the folder properties and attributes, and cant change much at all. I dont ever remember not having access to this folder before.

Please help...

A:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

The software I am trying to install is genuine. Bought it today. Is a game called fear. What its trying to do is create a profile folder in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents folder I believe but cant because of this access problem.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/c-documents-and-settings-all-users-documents-109625.html
Relevancy 55.9%

My girlfriend logs on with her user name Mary at the and and query Documents' 'My 'Documents Settings' XP Pro welcome screen Hers is the only user name shown In Control Panel Windows Accounts she is listed as the only user In Windows Explorer C Documents and Settings there are four folders All Users Config msi empty Default User Ex-husband s name it used to be his computer so somehow he is still around All the user data of my girlfriend is actually saved in folder four Also a At the top of the Windows Explorer tree the My Documents folder points to Ex-husband s My Documents folder b Later in the tree there is another folder called Mary s Documents which also points to Ex-husband s My Documents folder and contains the same files So my questions are 'Documents and Settings' and 'My Documents' query Can I 'Documents and Settings' and 'My Documents' query safely change folder four to my girlfriend s name Should can this be done in Windows Explorer or somewhere else Can should I delete the folder called Mary s Documents which simply reproduces the files in Ex-husband s My Documents Can I safely delete the folders All Users and Default User which do not contain my girlfriend s user data Can I safely delete the empty Config msi folder I would like to keep the My Documents folder which shows at the top of the folder tree as it is convenient for my girlfriend to find 'Documents and Settings' and 'My Documents' query I hope this makes sense Any suggestions much appreciated Swish nbsp

A:'Documents and Settings' and 'My Documents' query

1) I wouldn't, but it can probably be done...it's hard to redirect those stupid Windows links. You could create your own shortcut to "Mary's Documents", copy the contents of the ex-husband's folder to the Mary's documents, then you should be able to delete it.

2) For safety's sake I wouldn't, but you could give it a shot... (or do what I said above)

3)No, they are default folders that WIndows uses for some mysterious purposes.

4)Definitely not!

5)Go to theeldergeek.com to find a registry hack which will let you delete the My Documents folders. Then add the new shortcut above.

Remember, if you delete something you shouldn't have, you can restore it from the recycling bin!:grinthumb

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/documents-and-settings-and-my-documents-query.15523/
Relevancy 55.9%

I logged into Windows and found that all of my user settings had been changed back to default. All the files that were in My Documents had been moved to Documents and Settings in C. I moved them back to My Documents and changed my settings back to the way I had them before. While surfing the internet a few minutes later, the system became unresponsive. I restarted the computer and logged in, but now I find that My Documents has completely disappeared. I can't even find my files in Documents and Settings. I had about 35 GB of music, so I hope I didn't just lose it all. Please help!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-documents-is-gone-documents-and-settings-empty-501557.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello,
I bought an external hard disk (a WD 500) and plug it to my computer. It doesn't work very well, please see below the example of issues I have with this external hard disk:
- when I plug it with a thumb plug to my computer, it takes very long for my computer to recognize the disk (when it does recognize it indeed)
- when it finaly reconignize the disk, sometimes I can read the files I already copied on it sometimes I can not!
- sometimes I can copy / paste data on it, sometimes I can not!
I'm getting very frustated with this disk. Can anyone help me with it?
Thank you very much for your support,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/issue-with-external-hard-disk-wd-500.807832/
Relevancy 55.9%

I took the hard drive (a barracuda 7200.7 30 gig by seagate) out of my dell Pc when I got this laptop for Christamas(wife). I was told that I could take the hard drive out put it in an external hard drive case. I did so, however, it recognizes it as Mass storage device/ then it says the new hardware is installed and ready to use/ then it says there was a problem during install and the hardware my not work. I have been through MS Support /Seagate/ support/ Gateway support. Please I have so much data on the drive it is extremely important. Any help would be incredible!!!!!!!

Relevancy 55.9%

i've bought a external harddisk 500GB (2.5 inch), when i want to copy the movie (blueray) from my laptop to external hd, it prompted up a msg said that "no enough space", asked me to do disk clean up. Beside i've noticed that while copying or moving file that more than 4GB, the problem mentioned above will occur. I don't why and pls tell me whether is harddisk problem or there's other issues.

A:External hard disk issue

Please provide the following information:

Operating system that you are running;
Brand and model of the hard drive.

Please do the following: if you go in "My Computer" with external HDD connected, right click on the icon of external HDD and click properties, you should see the type of the file system. If it reads FAT32, it means that file system cannon handle files bigger than 4 GB.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-disk-issue.123989/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi people i really need help here i got a celeron that had a gig win harddisk on it i major hard issue! disk put a gig xp preinstalled drive from a new emachine pc i bought into that celeron and no matter what i do jumpers or bios settings it hard disk major issue! wont detect the drive even when i go to autodetect in the bios it just stops responding as its searching for the primary master is it coz celeron s cant take harddrive sizes greater than gigs or could it be that since its a NTSF partitioned xp drive its not being detected by the bios please help thanks another problem less serious - i got a new emachines pc with integrated video card it worked fine then i ripped out the hd thats the one i put in that celeron and put others master and slave which work fine but ever since the video display even if it finds the driver i cant get it to display more than colors and i even put in another nvidia card and on that one too i cant get more i can get the million option but as soon as i reboot its back to colors whats goin on thanks a lot in advance any questions just ask nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

hey all,
i'm having difficulty to understand the weird issue i have in my Win7.
my HD showing that i have 100+- GB used space, while if i'm checking properties for all items in the same HD, i can see that the items all together weight 45GB!?!?!
howcome? where is all of the empty space?

Relevancy 55.9%

Hello People,
This is my first post and I hope you will not disappoint me. I have a relatively simple question.

I've a 160 GB SATA HD. I've partioned into TWO "C" AND "D". Each having 74.5gb storage capacity.

However when I check the properties my C drive it says "TOTAL SPACE 74.5gb and FREE SPACE is 64.5Gb"

Now when I double click the C drive and enter into C and select all "program files" , "windows" etc etc and right click and say properties it says the total size of all the folders is a mere 4.5GB.
So 74.5Gb minus 4.5Gb should give you 74Gb FREE..... why does it show me only 64.5Gb FREE...... where is the other 10Gb gone?
Please help.

A:Hard Disk storage issue!

Hello Person,
1. When you select all the files in your C: drive and get their properties you are really only seeing the properties for the "unhidden" files. By default Explorer ahs certain system files hidden from the user.

2. You setup C: partition to = 74.5gb and D partition to = 74.5gb leaving leaving 11gb of free space of your 160gb hard drive. You should be able to setup a third partition using the last 11gb on your hard drive.

Hope that lived up to your expectations....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-storage-issue.423547/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi guys, I have a WD 0820 1 TB HDD when i plug it in my computer it keeps loading in the explorer and wont open and when i tried to open Disk management it goes to Not responding.It shows up in control panel and when i check the properties the device is working fine.tried to uninstall the drivers and install it again but no go.

A:WD Hard disk Issue not loading

Hello Ajay06!
I'm sorry for your WD HDD! :/
I suppose it's an external drive? Which is the model, is it a My Passport Ultra or may be a MyBook? What happened prior to this issue occurring?
Please change the cable of the drive and try it on multiple USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports and on another system. If the results are the same it means there?s something wrong with the drive itself or the enclosure. I can troubleshoot more when I know the exact model, 0820 is unfortunately not a model number or similar. :/
Try connecting the drive and running the WD Data Lifeguard supportsoftware: Support Answers,does it detect the drive? Please run the Quick test and post a screenshot of the SMART values.
CK_WD

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/72382-wd-hard-disk-issue-not-loading.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello, I was downloading something and when I thought it was finished downloading and this screen pops up.

"C:\Documents & Settings\Sherry\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\GRG7AN8J\arizup2(1).pdf"
"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.
<OK> box

I see that this is a .pdf file and i'm not sure how to open these. Can someone give me some really really easy details on how to fix or open [download] this problem.

Thanks

A:C:\Documents & Settings\Dave\Local Settings....help!

Install adobe acrobat reader

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-documents-settings-dave-local-settings-help.224123/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a drive that had Vista Home Premium on it amp NTFS as the file Folder for and Security Documents Settings Settings system The drive went bad with over K bad sectors Preformed a hard drive recovery After several days I managed to remap all the bad Security Settings for Documents and Settings Folder sectors so that I could read the drive when booting from a XP boot CD or a UBCD cd Now When I view the drives directory structure I can browse most of what is listed except for the Documents amp Settings folder When I try that one I get the message quot Access Denied quot I tried getting into the properties to see if I can change the properties but the Security tab did not show up I am a lot more familiar with XP than Vista Is there an added security feature Vista has on the Documents amp Setting folder that only Vista can open it I tried using a Vista Recovery disk but it was not able to see the partition Also I am not sure if there are any tools on the disk to recover files from a drive that no longer boots windows Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Peter

A:Security Settings for Documents and Settings Folder

"Access Denied" is a proper and routine message encountered...when moving a hard drive from one system to another. Only impacts the Docs & Settings files/folders, all other files can be easily accessed.So can the Docs & Settings folders, by taking ownership of the files/folders.Taking Ownership in VistaLouis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/361339/security-settings-for-documents-and-settings-folder/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello, hope someone can help.

I have server 2003 Standard with xp clients, running ok for 5 yrs - patched to latest updates. My documents folder for each user is set to U:\ which is their home drive (typically \\Server\UserName)

I have a new laptop with Win7 Pro, installed it & updated to latest patches as
local admin.

Made it a member of my domain & logged in as one of my users. Wished to change the my documents folder in same way. Found it in its new location
(C:\users\username) & went to the location tab. It shows as
\\Server\UserName\Vista !
It will NOT let me change it.

Can anybody tell me why and how I can overcome it ?

TIA

A:Windows 7 My Documents Issue

Does the user you logged into have admin rights?

Did you click the Move Button or did you just try typing the name in the field and click apply?

What specific error does it give you?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/80336-windows-7-my-documents-issue.html
Relevancy 55.47%

My Laptop started beeping the other day while gaming. So i turned off as i assumed overheating. I have since been unable to boot with the system attempting automatic system recovery then going to a black screen. I've attempted diagnositcs and received a Hard drive short dst failure. Failure ID: PGC2TH-7JF86T-MFPWL1-60VL03 Please advise.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Hard-Disk-Automatic-Repair-Issue/td-p/5715934
Relevancy 55.47%

I was attempting to replace a version of windows that was reported here that it had been hacked By a friend I was told to do a clean install after I had repartitioned it and formated to 8 install. format Win issue Disk Hard from clear all the hacks off I understood windows could handle this I went into install I tried Hard Disk format issue from Win 8 install. to break down the non reserve area TB into areas but it would not let me I understtod it wanted the Hard Disk format issue from Win 8 install. allocated space removed so Hard Disk format issue from Win 8 install. I did When I tried to re-allocate a portion it gave me an error due to file status in the reserve area and as i understood it to say it needed reformating in that area It offered to reformat it and I allowed Now the install disk claims after it reformated the reserve area is not formated correctly for system files so it will not procede I see no area to tell it how to format correctly so without being able to boot that system how can I correct this to the proper format and then partition it into areas I have access on another system to post this and down load something if told to AJ

A:Hard Disk format issue from Win 8 install.

Hi PinMan3 I think it would be easier if you format the hard drive into a single partition, install Windows, and then create separate partitions after. This way, Windows 8.1 will install correctly and you'll be able to use the Windows Disk Management utility to create your two other partitions (or you can use a third-party program).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570263/hard-disk-format-issue-from-win-8-install/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello Sir,i just now update the Hard Disk of my Notebookbut after i update i am not able to activate the window.please help me with this,Thanks

A:Window Activate issue After update of Hard-Disk

Singh_ Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!From your product name, I'm presuming it did NOT come with Win10 preinstalled but instead, you did the Win10 Upgrade, right? This upgrade is NOT tied to the individual disk on which it is done. I know that for a fact because I've done the Upgrade on several PCs, changed the disks on them, and they ALL remained activated. So, please provide more details regarding what, exactly, you did.We can proceed once you provide the information.Thanks

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Window-Activate-issue-After-update-of-Hard-Disk/td-p/5791678
Relevancy 54.61%

Hey! I'm trying to install Win7 on my laptop (Gateway MT6841) I did the installation full through, 32bit all good. Once I booted it the gateway recovery partition came up saying I needed to load some hard disk drivers. However I can't find anything that looks like hard disk drivers for this laptop. I actually couldn't find any 7 drivers. I've experienced that vista drivers will work though. I just need to know where to get drivers for this! All I could on the gateway support site was network, modem, video sound, media reader and touchpad drivers.

Thanks for the help.

A:Vista to 7 Hard disk driver laptop issue

Hi -

You don't need any drivers at all. The Gateway recovery partition is popping up because it does not recognize the Windows 7 OS.

Get rid of the recovery partition - wipe the entire hard drive with Killdisk, then re-install Windows 7.

KillDisk - http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Make bootable KillDisk ISO CD w/ ImgBurn -
ImgBurn - http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-to-7-hard-disk-driver-laptop-issue-433527.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a Acer Laptop with windows 7 premium 64bit installed on it.
Recently, when I start the laptop, it shows the error message:
SMART FAILURE PREDICTED on HARD DISK 0: WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0-(S1)

warning: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive.
press F1 to continue.

after pressing F1, windows failed to boot and it stucked at black screen there. I decided to format the laptop.ok,this time my windows booted smoothly.But the problem is,the same warning came out once i start the laptop.after pressing F1, everthing works fine.

this laptop is still under warranty period.may I know that what problem is that?what does it meant SMART FAILURE PREDICTED on HARD DISK 0: WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0-(S1)?
can someone guides me?thanks!!!

A:SMART FAILURE PREDICTED on HARD DISK issue

You should be contacting Acer being is it still under warranty, that warning means your harddrive is failing.
Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/242664-smart-failure-predicted-hard-disk-issue.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have an GB Maxtor Hard drive disk that I used solely as a slave drive for storage there has NEVER been an OS installed on this drive A couple of days ago when I booted up I went to My computer and the drive I labled Solved: drive Dynamic issue (XP) Hard Disk X was gone I went to the device manager and the disk was there and it said it was functioning properly I went to Disk Management and it had converted the disk to a Dynamic Disk It also said the disk was quot Foreign quot I used the Disk management tool and tried to Import the Foreign disk however I got an error saying to check the System Event Log The System Event Log stated said quot Internal Error- No valid disk belonging to the disk group was found quot So it has brought me back to square Is there anyone with any ideas as to how I can access the data on this disk The Disk Management tool says that I can convert it to a basic disk however that Solved: Dynamic Disk Hard drive issue (XP) would cause Solved: Dynamic Disk Hard drive issue (XP) me to have to format the disk I have about GB of media amp data on the disk that I would like to back up I will format the disk if there is any way that I can access the data and back it up first But before I format the disk are there any suggestions as to how I can get my data Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

cant see or access the external hardrive (WD). It was working fine, has all my music and photos. Now I cant find drive and when I go disk management it gives me an error. the pc is 5 years old and was built for my by a computer savvy associate.

A:Novice with external hard drive/disk managment issue

Have you tried all of the ports (USB I'd guess, but you didn't specify) available? Does it work with a different computer? Do other devices connected to the same kind of port work (like printers, scanners, flash drives)?

And what exactly does the error say?

It's always good to give as many details as possible!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/novice-with-external-hard-drive-disk-managment-issue.865047/
Relevancy 54.18%

hi there tech repair guy,

thanks for your time everyone.

i am wondering if xp is really all it is cracked up to be, and if i should migrate to ubuntu or a different os. for all i seem to get is blue screens and sound issues. it is so frustration.

the latest is a

kernel data in page error

00000007a (0xc07ba188, 0xc000000E, OXF7431302, 0x34CE7860)

atapi.sys_address

F7431302 base

@ F742000

date stamp 4802539d

I have tried and tried, but not antivirus nor updating drivers, nor checkinng the hard drive works. it is insane.

if i were to switch os, would i still be able to use programs such as itunes and things???

oh dear, thanks for your help

sarah

A:xp blue screens over and over, no hard disk issue, and sound is dropping out

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-blue-screens-over-and-over-no-hard-disk-issue-and-sound-is-dropping-out.885980/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi I have a year Drive/Disk-Start Satellite T130-Hard Issue Up old T which I use daily for work and have experienced no problems at all with Satellite T130-Hard Drive/Disk-Start Up Issue it until a few days ago Satellite T130-Hard Drive/Disk-Start Up Issue when I noticed that it was taking longer than usual to power up I checked that all my updates were up-to-date which they are as far as I'm aware both from Tempro and Windows I ran an Satellite T130-Hard Drive/Disk-Start Up Issue AVG scan and nothing came up out of the ordinary there and I still have over a third of space left on my hard drive Everything was fine for a couple of days and then yesterday when I tried to switch the laptop on it wouldn't power up at all-after several tries it has eventually come on and I've been keeping it in sleep stand by mode until i figure out what is happening I've run the PC Diagnostic Tool and everything is coming up as a PASS except for the hard disk which is showing up as FAIL My USB pen is not registering either when I try to use it This said when I checked the PC Health Monitor it said my HDD was working and that my Hard Disk Drive Status was 'good' I'm presuming from the above that it may be a hard drive disk issue-what is my next step Can this kind of thing be easily repaired Am I covered for this as it is a product issue and less than five years since I purchased the laptop Thanks for any help L J Message was edited by L J

A:Satellite T130-Hard Drive/Disk-Start Up Issue

Hi

If the HDD is not present in BIOS, you have to replace the HDD with a new one.
Do you know how to access the BIOS?
Power up the unit and press the F2 button. Now you should check the first page of the BIOS. Usually the CD/DVD drive and the HDD should be listed with all the details.
If the BIOS could not recognize the HDD, then this means that HDD is faulty.

From my knowledge you could use an simple 2.5? HDD.
Here is a nice instruction containing some pictures and movie how to replace the HDD on T130 series.
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/CRU1503660000R01.htm

Good luck

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?66912-Satellite-T130-Hard-Drive-Disk-Start-Up-Issue
Relevancy 53.75%

My company s computer needs to be patitioned partition Hard-disk hard-disk do failure disk. Can't boot nor format when using and reformat The system is still working well Can't format hard-disk nor do partition when using boot disk. Hard-disk failure I mean nothing wrong with anything weird huh Ok the hard disk just need to be split I mean make drive C amp D on the hard disk I know how to do that easy Then the HD need to Can't format hard-disk nor do partition when using boot disk. Hard-disk failure be formatted amp reinstall windows XP Ok easy too But the main problem occured before I do anything partition amp format I have my own bootable CD that I usually use for partitioning amp formatting Ok i insert the CD amp restart I went to BIOS amp changed the boot order st boot CD-ROM nd HDD- amp rd Floppy Then restart again Ok the bootable CD is excellently loaded I typed fdisk then came the first problem it says something like no fixed disk I exit fdisk Then I typed format c nd problem occured it says something like invalid drive I forgot the error message because the pc is in my office right now I m currently at home begging for help So the error message is not accurate sorry I think if I run the CD the hard disk will not be loaded or should I say hard disk failure amp If I take off the CD amp restart again change the BIOS st boot HDD- then windows will load Weird right I don t think my CD is corrupted nor broken because I tried to run the CD from another PC Yes I can access the C drive from that PC Does anyone have any idea of the possibilities here Hard disk failure when running a win bootable CD bad BIOS setting File System Thanks nbsp

A:Can't format hard-disk nor do partition when using boot disk. Hard-disk failure

It sounds like it might be the bootable CD you've created is not picking up the HDD's/partitions.
To eliminate this as a posibility travel to bootdisk and grab the WinME bootdisk and boot from there. If it picks up the HDD you can FDISK and Format from there.
The other option is to boot using the XP CD and let it handle the formatting/partitioning duties...

patio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-format-hard-disk-nor-do-partition-when-using-boot-disk-hard-disk-failure.25613/
Relevancy 53.32%

Spyware Terminator brought this up about a week ago amp i removed it amp it has found it again Settings\Temp\41.tmp" Trojan "C:\Documents and file: Re: Settings\Allan\Local today quot Threat Files lt Trojan Tempi Re: Trojan file: "C:\Documents and Settings\Allan\Local Settings\Temp\41.tmp" gt C Documents and Settings Allan Local Settings Temp tmp quot My computer does seems like it s been running a little bit slower overall over the last few weeks especially loading some particular programs such as Outlook amp Firefox Firefox seems to be running browse loading a little slower than usual in the last few weeks but i m not sure as my ISP had been running a little bit crapily of late My HijackThis log file reads O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit O - HKLM Run AVG TRAY C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe O - HKCU Run PhotoShow Deluxe Media Manager C PROGRA Ahead NEROPH data xtras mssysmgr exe O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - Global Startup GA Smart Wizard Utility lnk C Program Files NETGEAR GA Re: Trojan file: "C:\Documents and Settings\Allan\Local Settings\Temp\41.tmp" Adapter GA exe O - HKCU Software Policies Microsoft Internet Explorer Control Panel present O - Extra context menu item Crawler Search - tbr iemenu O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra button no name - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe O - Extra Tools menuitem xpsp res dll - - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - C WINDOWS Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe O - Extra button PartyPoker net - F FE - - e -B - B EED - C Program Files PartyGaming Net PartyPokerNet RunPF exe O - Extra Tools menuitem PartyPoker net - F FE - - e -B - B EED - C Program Files PartyGaming Net PartyPokerNet RunPF exe O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - IERESET INF START PAGE URL http www optusnet com au O - Trusted Zone msn com O - ProtocolDefaults ivt protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Intranet Zone HKLM O - ProtocolDefaults file protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Internet Zone HKLM O - ProtocolDefaults ftp protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Internet Zone HKLM O - ProtocolDefaults http protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Internet Zone HKLM O - ProtocolDefaults https protocol is in My Computer Zone should be Internet Zone HKLM O - DPF ChatSpace Full Java Client - http Java cfs cab O - DPF E A- D- EE - C-DC FA D FC MUWebControl Class - http update microsoft com microsoftupdate v V Controls en x client muweb site cab O - DPF D CDB E-AE D- CF- B - Shockwave Flash Object - http fpdownload macromedia com get shockwave cabs flash swflash cab O - HKLM System CCS Services Tcpip D -F F - D- - CEAE C D NameServer O - HKLM System CCS Services Tcpip EB ED -CEA - B -A A- D C NameServer O - Protocol linkscanner - F C- F - D -A D -FBDDE F D - C Program Files AVG AVG avgpp dll O - Protocol tbr - D FB A- - - E- ADA CFBBF - C PROGRA Crawler Toolbar ctbr dll O - AppInit DLLs avgrsstx dll O - Service Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service aawservice - Lavasoft - C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe O - Service AVG WatchDog avg wd - AVG Technologies CZ s r o - C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe O - Service Canon Camera Access Library CCALib - Canon Inc - C Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exe O - Service Google Updater Service gusvc - Google - C Program Files Google Common Google Updater GoogleUpdaterService exe O - Service InstallDriver Table Manager IDriverT - Macrovision Corporation - C Program Files Common Files InstallShield Driver Intel IDriverT... Read more

A:Re: Trojan file: "C:\Documents and Settings\Allan\Local Settings\Temp\41.tmp"

Hi, Welcome to TSG!!
Download: ResetProtocolDefaults.reg
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ResetProtocolDefaults.reg

Locate "ResetProtocolDefaults.reg"
Right-click and select: Merge (Ok the prompt)

Post your log again and this time post the entire log please.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/re-trojan-file-c-documents-and-settings-allan-local-settings-temp-41-tmp.733416/
Relevancy 53.32%

I am preparing for a hard disk crash.

I purchased a new PC with Windows 7 in June 2012. It came with a Samsung optical disk containing Windows 7. I am eligible for the $14.99 USD upgrade to Windows 8. Will there be an installation disk for Windows 8 available at this price and if not, then how much more will it cost?

If not, then how should I ensure that I can easily install Windows 8 after a hard disk crash? Do I have to keep my Samsung optical disk of Windows 7?

A:optical disk installation of Windows 8 after a hard disk crash

Quote: Originally Posted by broiyan

I am preparing for a hard disk crash.

I purchased a new PC with Windows 7 in June 2012. It came with a Samsung optical disk containing Windows 7. I am eligible for the $14.99 USD upgrade to Windows 8. Will there be an installation disk for Windows 8 available at this price and if not, then how much more will it cost?

If not, then how should I ensure that I can easily install Windows 8 after a hard disk crash? Do I have to keep my Samsung optical disk of Windows 7?

I'm not positive, but I'd guess a $14.99 price for Win 8 would be a download, unless Samsung is offering some special promotional price for a disc.

I've seen a price of $69.99 for Windows 8 Professional, which I think is for a disc.

I'd find out what that $14.99 price is good for. It may be for an ISO download, in which case you could burn the ISO to a disc.

I'd keep the Windows 7 disc regardless. If you are like most people, you probably will find 7 preferable to 8.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/259862-optical-disk-installation-windows-8-after-hard-disk-crash.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello,

I have run into a problem that has been causing me quite a bit of headache as of late. A week ago, my WD Elements External Hard Disk is not displaying under hard disk drives, but does display under Devices and Printers. This is what it shows under computer management:

I have tried to initialize the disk using MBR and GPT options but failed receiving I/O Disk Error.

Please help, thank you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/401581-windows-7-disk-2-external-hard-disk-unknown-not-initialized.html
Relevancy 52.89%

i am facing problem with Hard disk loose contact issue with Latitude 3450 and it is happening very frequently is there any solution for this 

A:Hard disk loose contact issue with Latitude 3450 any permanent solution for this?

Hi

Please re-seat the HD once and observe the system.
Regards

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19651372
Relevancy 52.89%

Well it has been a fun couple of days Trying to restore a mistake on my Windows ultimate x hard drive that Ubuntu started to overwrite So far I have Backed-up Copied all my files so whatever is done to this HD is ok Restored the partitions Tried FixMBR FixBoot Chkdsk Rebuildbcd In the recovery Hard Install Drive? - Error Issue...Repair on 2nd Disk Read Boot console it sees my OS just fine But when I boot my Dell XPS desktop after post it says 'Disk Read Error' press ctrl alt del to restart I don't think it has anything to do with the bios - I've put the hard drive in another dell and it did the same thing tried different Sata cables too I think there is a peice I'm missing somewhere with these partitions see attached I currently have my non-booting drive in another dell and you can see it as Disk in the screen shot Any suggestions for getting this thing back to booting I can access all the files from it fine when I have on this computer as the nd hdd which leads me to believe there is just a boot issue somewhere Can I repair install Windows on this hd even though it is the nd hard drive on the computer I'm trying to avoiding a wipe and reinstalling all the programs so I'm hoping I can somehow fix this last peice Your help is greatly appreciated - thank you

A:Disk Read Error - Boot Issue...Repair Install on 2nd Hard Drive?

Information
Boot up using the Startup Repair CD or Windows 7 DVD. (not the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disk) If you have a Netbook, you will need a CD/DVD drive.
NOTE: Make sure no USB drives are plugged in.
Do not use a USB Pendrive for Startup Repair.

1) Use the Rebuild BCD in this tutorial:
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

2) Fix MBR.

3) Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
HD Diagnostic

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/183567-disk-read-error-boot-issue-repair-install-2nd-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I Need Help!
I was wondering if it is a issue to delete files in "Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp". I am really looking if it is safe to delete the "Documents and Settings\Kenny Hartwick\Local Settings\Temp" files.

Thanks!

A:Should I Delete "Documents and Settings\Username/Local Settings\Temp"

I don't know who Kenny Hartwick is, but deleting temp files is NOT a problem. Just get his permission, willya.

:)

edit: if you click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup you'll run a nice little routine that lets you select those, among other, files to remove as well as a file compactor for rarely used files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/should-i-delete-documents-and-settings-username-local-settings-temp-654035.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I am running contents Documents Settings Missing Documents and Folder missing + Vista Home Basic I first noticed this afternoon Documents contents missing + Settings and Documents Folder Missing that my quot Documents quot folder was empty I searched all locations Documents contents missing + Settings and Documents Folder Missing and all I found was a shortcut to one of the missing files It gave me the following error The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved so this shortcut Documents contents missing + Settings and Documents Folder Missing will no longer work properly Do you want to remove the shortcut I did a system restore to the recommended restore point On reboot some folders and files had appeared in quot Documents quot but many were still missing I tried another system restore to an earlier date but upon reboot had a message stating the restore was not successfull and no files or settings had been changed I had a look for my quot Documents and Settings quot folder but couldn t find it I chose options to show hidden files and prtected system files I turned of the sharing wizard option also I searched again for quot Documents and Settings quot and it appeared in the search window on clicking I got the error Documents and Settings refers to a location that is unavailable It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network Check that the disk is properly inserted and that you are connected to the internet or your network and then try again If it still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different location I went my computer gt C to locate the folder but all I could find was a shortcut to the folder although it wasn t showing up as a shortcut in the search facility I had another look in quot Documents quot and several shortcuts had appeared quot My Music quot quot My Videos quot quot My Pictures quot I also noticed quite a few other new files and shortcuts under User Of note quot my documents quot I tried to click on quot my documents quot and got this error mydocuments is not accessable Access is denied Same error for all other shortcuts I disabled AUC and security alerts then I used an Unlock program and managed to gain full control of the file The contents were an exact copy of the current state of the quot Documents quot folder still minus the missing files Next I ran file scavenger data recovery software and was unable to locate any of the missing files though I did spot a folder quot Documents quot which I successfully restored Once restored it showed the path to be Unknown AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows SendTo Documents It is a MyDocs Drop Targert folder with the extension mydocs I have been unable to open it as I do not know which programme I need to use I also downloaded Microsoft Automated Troubleshooter which gave me the following report File and Folder TroubleshooterPublisher details Issues found Icons randomly change to different iconsIcons randomly change to different icons Some icons in My Computer in Windows Explorer on the desktop or on the Quick Launch bar change randomly This behavior occurs if the icon cache is not updated correctly Not fixed Rebuild the icon cacheSucceeded You cannot use keyboard shortcuts to select more than one item in Windows Explorer after you install certain applications on a Windows Vista-based computerYou cannot use keyboard shortcuts to select more than one item in Windows Explorer after you install certain applications on a Windows Vista-based computer On a Windows Vista-based computer you cannot use keyboard shortcuts to select more than one item in Windows Explorer For example you cannot use the CTRL A keyboard shortcut to select all the items in a Windows Explorer window Also you cannot select multiple items in a Windows Explorer window by holding the SHIFT key or the CTRL key while you click the items This problem occurs because certain applications add a key to the registry The key prevents you from selecting multi... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-contents-missing-settings-and-documents-folder-missing.959554/
Relevancy 52.89%

Please help I have a problem with my Compaq PC will explain from beginning At first when i boot the PC it used to come one message like quot splash screen error run rompaq quot and below that black screen F to boot when i press F it used to boot windows and i can work comfortably now the problem before last two days when i tried to start my PC it won t boot instead it shows the same message press F to boot i suspect Disk Can Xp Not Disk And Hard Boot From Both Windows Up Start by mistake i deleted some system file but it was a normal shutdown i made last time after that i made one start up disk from another computer and tried to boot from it but i can t while booting from floppy it begins the booting but windows Windows Xp Can Not Boot Both From Hard Disk And Start Up Disk not coming it shows like Starting A gt mode can code page prepare ega cpi failure to access code page font file A gt mode con code page select code page not prepared A gt keyb us keyboard Windows Xp Can Not Boot Both From Hard Disk And Start Up Disk sys code page specified has not been prepared A gt I can enter to C or D etc also can use dir like commands please help me to solve this problem nbsp

A:Windows Xp Can Not Boot Both From Hard Disk And Start Up Disk

You have some serious troubles, and need to do some intensive reading on how Windows works, and what happens when a hard drive is corrupted or damaged or mis-installed..
It would be helpful for you to tell us computer, install discs, installed hardware, connection, hardware configuration you have, as well as the age of everything, and the recent history of failures and difficulties..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-can-not-boot-both-from-hard-disk-and-start-up-disk.108273/
Relevancy 52.46%

Today, I was looking for an Excel file and encountered the following issue:

If I go to Libraries\Documents\Property Files\1105 Dart, I can't see the file I need. However, I can see it if I go to
C:\Users\Sales\Documents\Property Files\1105 Dart

I have 156 files in "Documents" and 153 files in "My Documents". Any idea how to correct this? My documents may have gotten 'out of control' after I started using Bit Torrent Sync to sync the documents folder between my desktop and laptop.

Thanks for your help!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/399969-odd-issue-my-documents-documents-library.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a Dell XPS 15z laptop, spec. is i7-2640 processor, 8GB memory, 750GB hard drive. The problem is that it often freezes and when restarted it suggests no hard drive, "No boot device found". If I go into the BIOS there is no hard drive, if I boot into the diagnostics screen (F12) and run thr tests on the hard drive it comes up as passed, if I then restart the laptop it will boot into windows 7 Ultimate.
Evertime it freezes it won't boot after a restart unless I run diagnostics then it will start OK.
My thoughts are that it is hard drive, although all tests I have carried out on it suggest its OK, one of the times it booted into windows I ran the Seagate seatools and it was fine.
Anyone any suggestions as to the cause?

A:Laptop hard drive issue -- no boot device found/disk read error

Sorry, message at start is "A disk read error occurred", not sure if that makes any difference to your thoughts.
I reformatted and reloaded the software to see if that made any difference but the problem still persists.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-hard-drive-issue-no-boot-device-found-disk-read-error.179788/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey there guys about six months ago I started receiving an error every few days on my computer on boot and it was something along the lines of 'pxe-rom Check cable connection ' To fix it I just used my Windows install CD and it was fine until whenever it'd happen again Now just about three days ago an error popped up that said 'Windows has problem. detected Windows Hard drive hard has a failing? disk detected a hard disk problem' The hard drive is a GB Toshiba MK GSXN Anyway after Windows has detected a hard disk problem. Hard drive failing? getting that message I quickly backed up all of my important documents and stuff onto an external HDD It was also very slow slower than my computer had ever been So I decided to do a clean install since scans with Malwarebytes and AVG detected nothing And then once it finished it popped up the error message again I have noticed that the slowness has gone but I'm not installing any programs in case it does fail I am wondering that maybe the 'check cable connection' error was telling me something but I didn't think anything of it So does it sound like I need to get a new hard drive EDIT I bought a new hard drive fixed

A:Windows has detected a hard disk problem. Hard drive failing?

In many cases, that is Windows way of saying your hard drive is in imminent danger of failing. Of course there could be other problems, but windows will usually detect it first. A tutorial that may help is simple to use, but may take a while. Disk Check I would also get the Manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic program to check the drive. You were wise to back up all of your personal information.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/271067-windows-has-detected-hard-disk-problem-hard-drive-failing.html
Relevancy 52.03%

i need to reformat my hard disk but i have lost the windows xp installation disk...what can i do besides having to purchase another copy of windows?

A:Reformat hard disk without windows xp disk?

Well you kind of need a CD in order to boot from it. Keep your CD key with you and maybe borrow someone else's disk, then enter your key. Another way you could is maybe find a download-able version of windows XP that you can burn to a disk then again when prompted enter your current CD key. (I'm sorry Techspot, I DO NOT endorse illegal pirated software but in this case he isn't really stealing it because he does own XP, he just needs the disk. Or maybe there is a copy of XP available that you are free to grab and are genuinely allowed to download.)

Don't know your key? Download the keyfinder from Here Click on the THERE on that page.

You can download it from THERE (251kb) or visit the author's website for more download links:Click to expand...

and when you do get it write it down somewhere so you don't lose it, just don't tell anyone what it is though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reformat-hard-disk-without-windows-xp-disk.107774/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi I'm new here and I just gotten the windows last month but for some reason this started happening to Windows settings 8 PC Issue to the PC settings in the metro UI and it affects all of my apps literally once I try to open up any apps not installed programs those are working just fine it shows me this message and also I've tried refreshing the system as indicated on the guide but all it does simply reboots the computer and after reboot it's still the same thing now this thing really bugs me and it is kinda annoying So If anyone could help me out with this or simply point me to the right direction with instructions on how to fix it it would be much appreciated Please and Thank You P S Complete wipe out default re-install is not an option because Windows 8 PC settings Issue I would loose all the files in my machine that I normally use for business and ATM I don't have anyway of backing up my files

A:Windows 8 PC settings Issue

Hello SheWasntThere, and welcome to Eight Forums.

For now, you might see if going through the listed items in the tutorial below may be able to help with this.

Apps and Tiles Not Working or Responding: Fix in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/57054-windows-8-pc-settings-issue.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hard disk type Seagate SATA Model Number SeaTools, of DST hard failed DST the do hard Short g has My and passed disk Long disk ST AS Serial Number RA J H Firmware Revision AAD OS XP SP Mother Borad Intel GCCR My hard disk has passed Short DST and failed Long DST of SeaTools do the hard disk going to fail If yes how to transfer my data to a new hard disk easily Complete description of the issue I have experienced boot up issue with my PC days back My PC not even boot into safe mode also I got the following blue screen errors on successive restart of PC A x xC F x x FBA X B STOP C Unable to locate component c x E XC X C XF E XF E I have removed and replaced the hard disk several times I can boot into windows now and can work normally But one of the above Blue sreen My hard disk has passed Short DST and failed Long DST of SeaTools, do the hard disk g errors is coming all of sudden while working on PC It is happening independent of the application I am using And the following messages are coming at the XP welcome screen and while working on the PC A C windows system drivers etc netloc wlt has corrupted and unreadable Perform CKDSK B C windows system drivers etc APPFCONT DAT has corrupted and unreadable Perform CKDSK C C windows system drivers etc idsflt cfg bck has corrupted and unreadable Perform CKDSK D Cagefile sys has corrupted and unreadable Perform CKDSK I have performed CHKDSK on all local drives exept local drive C CHKDSK giving a message that quot can not directly access C drive quot I have performed virus scan with the following software and no virus has found Panda Internet Security Malware Bytes Spybot TrendMicro Housecall Performed Seagate s my hard disk is a seagate hard disk SeaTools hard disk tests Short DST Pass Long DST Fail HDtune software test Pass ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hijack This Log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security TPSrv exe C PROGRAM FILES PANDA SECURITY PANDA INTERNET SECURITY WebProxy exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files McAfee SiteAdvisor McSACore exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PsCtrls exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PavFnSvr exe C Program Files Common Files Panda Security PavShld pavprsrv exe c program files panda security panda internet security firewall PSHOST EXE C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PsImSvc exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PskSvc exe C WINDOWS System TUProgSt exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security pavsrv exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security AVENGINE EXE C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXE C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security APVXDWIN EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Taskbar Shuffle taskbarshuffle exe C Program Files RocketDock RocketDock exe C Program Files ViGlance ViGlance exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files WordWeb wweb exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security SRVLOAD EXE C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PavBckPT exe C Program Files Sify Broadband BBClient exe C Program Files Sify Broadband BBImpSec exe C Program Files Java jre bin java exe C WINDOWS system cmd exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM ping exe C Program Files The KMPlayer KMPlayer exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PAVJOBS EXE C Program Files Googl... Read more

A:My hard disk has passed Short DST and failed Long DST of SeaTools, do the hard disk g

In a Run box, enter "chkdsk /r"
You'll be asked if you want to run chkdsk at the next reboot. Enter "Y".
Reboot, and be prepared to wait, as it may take a long time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-hard-disk-has-passed-short-dst-and-failed-long-dst-of-seatools-do-the-hard-disk-g.860682/
Relevancy 51.17%

I am trying to recover my ASUS K52D Notebook PC to factory settings. I am currently running Windows 7 operating system. I do have the Driver & Utility Ver.1.0 disk, but I have lost the System recovery disk that was made by the store where I purchased my laptop from. I have tried recurring it using the partition file thing that's on my computer, but I received an error message. I am wondering, is there a way to recover my Notebook to factory settings without using the partition or the recovery DVD? And if not, what are my other options at this point?

A:Recovering Windows 7 to factory settings without recovery disk

No; you need the Recovery partition or set of Recovery DVDs or CDs. You may be able to purchase the Recovery DVDs from Asus.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-windows-7-to-factory-settings-without-recovery-disk.1044350/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi, I'm supposed to be getting a free upgrade disk to windows 7 64-bit in october and i was wondering if i could do a could do a clean install of windows 7 off the upgrade disk. if i cant i was also wondering if i could restore back to vista, the only problem is vista home premium 64-bit came preinstalled and i dont have any disks with me.

any help appreciated =D

thanks

btw i did make recovery disks right after setting up the pc

A:Need help windows 7 upgrade disk and restore to factory settings

Full

Just get the Windows 7 Full disc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-windows-7-upgrade-disk-and-restore-to-factory-settings.134527/
Relevancy 51.17%

I am laptop user. About 2hr ago, i login to my lappy and discover that my profile is different. My folders on desktop went missing and some of the setting changed. Then i try on my own to solve it but to no avail. Fortunately i come upon my C:\Documents and Settings and discover that strange profile C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP and my original profile C:\Documents and Settings\p0716499 was still there. This imply that my previous setting and files are still in my laptop. However, I cant changed back to the original profile and struck with the temp profile.
Initially i suspect is registry problem so i DL "UPHClean Service" by miscosoft but to no avail. Now currently i suspect it might be the work of a virus. I need help. Thank anyone who help me in advance.

A:User profile path change to user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP :\Documents and Settings...

This morning when i woke up, i discovered a icon named "syminstallstub" on my desktop. I checked online and i believe that it could be a virus. I try to find ways to uninstall it but to no avail I not sure what did my younger brother do to my laptop. I feel that im damn unlucky and encounter 2 problems in a row. Please help me solve my problems.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394384/user-profile-path-change-to-user-profile-path-change-to-cdocuments-and-settingstemp-documents-and-settingstemp/
Relevancy 50.74%

For whatever reason, I have two personalities under documents and settings. One is rln and the other is bob. Is there a way to consolidate these? ...other than a complete reload after format and fdisk? I have Win XP Pro. I will appreciate whatever advice that you can give me.

A:Documents and Settings

Copy/move everything important into one of your personalities and then delete the other one?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-and-settings.360161/
Relevancy 50.74%

For some unknown reason under Documents and Settings there are several subheadings containing identical or similar files. Is there a way to either eliminate or consolidate these duplicate files? Right now to access a given file I have to search through all of the subheadings, and, or all files.

A:Documents and Settings

can you be more specific?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-and-settings.225544/
Relevancy 50.74%

On Windows 7, I can see a folder called users. It seems to be used as "user documents and settings" for previous Windows version. But can't find some folders such as "application data". By searching a lot on internet, they said there is appdata which point to "application data". but in my users folder, I can't find it.

A:Where is documents and settings?

You have to have "show hidden files" clicked in explorer and you will see it in your directory.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/54310-where-documents-settings.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a small network of 2 computers. Both are running Windows XP Pro. I want to access the documents and settings folder over the network so I could back up this folder onto the other computer that has the DVD burner. When I try to access that folder I get this message:"...is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network ressource. Contact the administrator...Acess is denied." I have gone through all the share procedures, I can access other folders but not this one. I even mapped a drive but still no go. Does anyone have any knowledge about this problem. Is this folder non-sharable?

Relevancy 50.74%

I recently did a clean install from xp to xp mce and before I formatted I saved my documents and setings folder to keep my settings cookies for two different users and such but when I went to the folder in mce it was totally different and doesn't list seperate folders for seperate accounts why is this. I have two users and we have different favorites folders and cookie folders how can I fix this?

A:Documents and settings

Hi cotk69...

where did you back up the Documents and Settings folder to?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/documents-and-settings-136985.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Greetings.

I have a 200GB drive with a new install of XP on it. Slaved to this drive is an old 80GB which I want to get files off of.

It tells me I don't have permission to get into Documents and Settings, though. Is there any way to work around this?

Thanks!

SOLVED: Thanks for the help!

Relevancy 50.74%

My OS is Win XP Pro installed on D drive. Win 98 on C drive. Can I move documents and Settings folder from D to C drive. Kindly advise.