Windows Support Forum

Dell with Vista, resized NTFS partition for Ubuntu, now cannot boot Vista

Q: Dell with Vista, resized NTFS partition for Ubuntu, now cannot boot Vista

We got a new Dell machine with the Vista preinstalled. Employee wanted Ubuntu (how do ya blame him?) so he resized partitions and installed Ubuntu, but now Vista won't boot.

What can we do to get Vista to be happy again?

This howto:
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/about78184.html#dualboot
says:
"DO NOT resize the Vista partition during the installation of the Linux distribution! Due to the change in NTFS versions, no Linux partitioning program, nor standard Windows partitioning programs, can properly alter the partition that Vista is installed to."
But we're too late for that...

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Dell with Vista, resized NTFS partition for Ubuntu, now cannot boot Vista

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Dell with Vista, resized NTFS partition for Ubuntu, now cannot boot Vista

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-with-vista-resized-ntfs-partition-for-ubuntu-now-cannot-boot-vista.551657/
Relevancy 99.33%

I have got similar probel like this I had gb single partition with vista NTFS then i resized it to GB NTFS gbFAT WINXP gb spare now I made nd partition active amp installed xp and which is running perfectly now i want to switch to vista which i am unable to do another thing when i installed partition magic it is unable to resize gb partition of winxp shows alert --------------------------- Error --------------------------- Disk MB c h s appears to have partitions created using a different drive geometry h s This serious problem can lead to data loss No partition manipulations should be made to this disk using this product or the operating system s products You should back up the data on this disk delete all partitions create new partitions under the new drive geometry and then restore your data by vista resize able other resized to partition s/w not using the backup --------------------------- OK --------------------------- Is it due to vista resized partition unable vista resized partition not able to resize by other s/w to detect in PM how can i make vista bootable again how can i resize my partition from gb fat to gb FAT Kindly reply Amitdotchauhan gmail com nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-resized-partition-not-able-to-resize-by-other-s-w.613852/
Relevancy 88.15%

I have an Acer Aspire 3680, and I noticed that my wifi is really bad on my Vista partition (I can barely move spots without disconnecting or slowing down) But my ubuntu partition wifi is perfect. I can move around freely and hardly ever disconnect. The Atheros drivers are installed correctly, I believe. So I don't know what the problem could be,.

A:Bad Wifi on Vista partition, but excellent on Ubuntu partition?

Do you have the latest wireless driver from Acer's web site?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bad-wifi-on-vista-partition-but-excellent-on-ubuntu-partition.943365/
Relevancy 88.15%

Acer Desktop PC Model AM sis ethernet adapter webstar dpx series cable in Ubuntu No Boot 9.10: Vista Ubuntu Connection Dual and Internet modem After setting up a dual Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu boot system successfully Vista connects to internet via ethernet Ubuntu does not sis ethernet driver is updated to latest version I can access the internet from Ubuntu however after shutting down the pc unplugging the power cord removing the cmos battery and reinstalling I reinsert the power cord and boot up as normal into Ubuntu and have full access to internet Simply removing reinserting ethernet cord removing reinserting pc or cable modem power cord or resetting cable modem does not work I am asking if there is a solution as to where I can log off Vista and restart pc into Ubuntu and have internet access automatically bypassing Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu all these steps I ve explained After perusing multiple forums where people have described similar if not same issues I ve yet to find a solution to this I ran ipconfig in Vista and have the results I ran ifconfig in Ubuntu and have the Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu results As these results may contain information that can present a vulnerability regarding system ip identification I have omitted them here If needed I will respond via personal message with the contents Thank you in advance for your continued contributions in aiding the computer world quot handicapped quot nbsp

A:Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu

Ubu 9.10 has known issues

If you are using Ubuntu 9.10, it has known issues with the built-in Network Manager and DSL modems (and presumably Cable modems as well)..

Currently, there is no fix (short of going back to 8.10 or hoping it is fixed in Ubu10 due out in April (iirc). Sorry.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-vista-and-ubuntu-9-10-no-internet-connection-in-ubuntu.142344/
Relevancy 86.43%

I was trying to open a file I saved in my Ubuntu partition with Wordpad, and for my surprise, Vista couldn't find the partitioned driver.

Why does it happen? How do I fix it?

thanks

A:Can't see Ubuntu Partition in Vista

Its because Windows does not recognise Linux partitions. You need to save documents to a USB flash disk or some other removable drive which is formatted as FAT32 so that both systems can read/write to it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-see-ubuntu-partition-in-vista.655719/
Relevancy 82.56%

I need to (for recovery purposes) mount an NTFS partition so I can copy files off of it to an external drive using ubuntu.

How do I mount the drive so I can read it while running the live CD?
It says I don't have permissions to view it when i tell it to mount it...

A:Mount an NTFS partition on ubuntu live CD

You will find that a Knoppix live CD,or EBCD,

or the Ultimate Boot CD,or Trinity Rescue CD,

are easier to copy off files with.

If you still want to use Ubuntu,there is a page HERE

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mount-an-ntfs-partition-on-ubuntu-live-cd.94620/
Relevancy 81.7%

With the help of this forum and the Partition Wizard I have successfully installed Windows 7 64 bit on a separate partition (H) on my hard drive and I now have a dual boot system. The other partition (C:OS) runs Vista 32 bit OS.

The problem I have is that all my programs, files and settings are on the Vista partition. So I would like to remove Vista and merge the two partitions so that Windows 7 has access to my existing data and programs.

I have read a number of threads re merging, etc but I can't find one that specifically refers to my issue.

Thanks for your help.

A:Removing Vista from Dual Boot but retaining progs on Vista partition

Hi Paul, welcome to the Seven Forums.

Your issue is a typical upgrade issue, Internet in general and our forums in particular are full of advice in how to do it. As there's no way you can transfer your installed programs to your new Windows 7 installation, you have exactly two options.

Option 1, finish what you have already started:Copy your personal files from Vista partition to respective folders on Seven partition. You can do it manually or for instance using Windows Easy Transfer. Notice that your installed programs will not work on Seven even if you copy them and their folders to Seven
Delete the Vista partition
Use the free space (old Vista partition) to increase the size of the Seven partition
Re-install all your programs

Option 2, start from beginning:Do an in-place upgrade install, installing Seven on top of your Vista instead of clean install to another partition as you have done now. This option keeps all your installed programs and files exactly where there are now, no need to re-install them

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/315878-removing-vista-dual-boot-but-retaining-progs-vista-partition.html
Relevancy 81.7%

just says control alt delete to restart, disk read error

the files are all in tact, I removed the disk and put it in another computer... it just can't boot. any suggestions?

Relevancy 81.27%

my vista home premium blue screened, so i booted with ubuntu and pulled off all teh stuff I REALLY didnt want to lose and put it on a spare HD. i got a copy of vista business and tried to install it over the existing vista. i would boot from the disc, and it would start loading windows files, but then it would blue screen, the same one as before. so i installed ubuntu to completely wipe out vista. i booted from the vista business disc again, and this time i got to the installer, but now none of the partitions are NTFS, and when i try to format the primary one, i get error "0x80004005" and a failed to partition drive message.

now what?

A:[SOLVED] vista business fresh install - cant format partition to NTFS

ok i got it. just got Gparted and reformatted it myself. problem solved. vista works fine, or as fien as vista can ever work :/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-vista-business-fresh-install-cant-format-partition-to-ntfs-464733.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi there,

I am currently using Windows Vista Ultimate (32bit) and would like to play World of Warcraft however my Intel 82865g chipset doesn't have recent drivers available and it is currently incompatible with windows Vista.

So, I want to create a partition with XP installed so that the drivers will work and I can play WoW.

However, despite being able to create a partition, I cannot find a way of installing Win XP. I have tried booting from an XP CD but my PC seems to give up and move onto booting from the hard-disk instead and starts up Vista. Why can't I boot from the CD?

Does anyone know how I can successfully install XP on a separate partition with Vista already installed or am I going to have to format and do it the long way, starting with XP and partitioning Vista?

Thanks

Relevancy 79.12%

I was attempting to set up my laptop as a dual boot with Vista (already on it) and Ubuntu. While the installation was partitioning the hard drive it froze. I think this erased my dell partition on the computer. Is there a way to fix this?

A:Ubuntu/Vista dual boot

When you say Dell do you mean the vista partition?

I'm afraid i need more information regarding how you were partitioning your hard disk:

1. Were you using the Ubuntu installer to format the drive?
2. What were you doing? (were you resizing the Vista partition, or using another one?)

It will only have made any modification to the "Dell" partition if you were either resizing it, or you have unknowingly deleted it.

If you restart the installation what do you see in the hard disk menu?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ubuntu-vista-dual-boot.154163/
Relevancy 79.12%

I have a triple boots system with ubuntu, and xp on seperate partitions on a 500gb sata hard drive and i just recently added vista on an 80gb ide hard drive.

the vista bootloader will let me boot into xp but not ubuntu. In vista the xp partition is detected but not the ubuntu partition. I don't want to remove vista from the 80gb hard drive but i want to be able to boot into Ubuntu.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-bootloader-does-not-allow-me-to-boot-into-ubuntu-330024.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi All I'm running Vista HP x and Ubuntu x in a dual boot setup Currently I have an nVidia GT but would like to upgrade to an GT However the dual boot is causing me a problem NVidia forums advise me installation GPU 64x/Ubuntu Dual Vista 64x boot-new to boot Vista into safe mode uninstall the drivers run drivercleaner swap the cards and then install the appropriate drivers from their website The problem is that since installing Ubuntu I no longer have a safe mode option in my boot menu It has Ubuntu ubuntu recovery mode memtest and then Vista Longhorn There is no safe mode option I can get into Vista 64x/Ubuntu 64x Dual boot-new GPU installation setup and BIOS del tab and have looked in there but I'm not very techy and cannot understand it There doesn't seem to be any mention of Vista after the initial choice Can anybody help me with some simple instructions I want to upgrade the card to improve my gaming experience but it's proving complicated Do I really need to be in safe mode If so does anyone know how I can boot into it Thanks in advance John

A:Vista 64x/Ubuntu 64x Dual boot-new GPU installation

No real need to do it from safemode unless you have problems, TBH I wouldn't even both to uninstall the old drivers (but thats not good practice)

1 Uninstall the old drivers.
2 Switch the PC off & swap the cards.
3 Start PC and install latest drivers from the nvidia website.

Thats all you need to do.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/137824-vista-64x-ubuntu-64x-dual-boot-new-gpu-installation.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I would like to know if someone can please help me set up a dual boot between Vista and Ubuntu I know this question has been asked and set a Dual Boot Vista up with Unsure Ubuntu how to more than once by other user in many threads but the reason why I am asking it is because I do not understand any of those soultions that were brought up in other threads My system came loaded with Vista basic and it is a Dell E which they jsut came out with a E pre-loaded with Ubuntu so I know all the drivers will work Also right now I am downloading Ubuntu after it is done I plan on burning it to a DVD then I need to know how to make it a dual boot where it will ask me if I want to boot Vista or Ubuntu also is there Unsure how to set up a Dual Boot with Vista and Ubuntu any risk that I will loose any of my files I currently have on Vista becuase I really don t want to loose them Thanks A Unsure how to set up a Dual Boot with Vista and Ubuntu lot Nick nbsp

A:Unsure how to set up a Dual Boot with Vista and Ubuntu

Try this one, I think it mite work 4 U !!

http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_boot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unsure-how-to-set-up-a-dual-boot-with-vista-and-ubuntu.78603/
Relevancy 78.26%

I was originally running just XP Pro (and still use as my main OS) on C:. Installed Vista (didn't activate it yet and it's past 30 days) on Drive G:. Installed Ubuntu on D:. Installed Windows 7 RC1 son S: (in that order). When I start my puter, Windows 7 is the Default OS. I can't change the default OS to XP in Windows 7 (it only gives me the option for Vista). When I start in XP it shows Windows 7 (7 and xp only options) as default and when I try to select XP as default it jumps right back to 7. I'm thinking I may have to activate my Vista and do it thru Vista... [all OS run perfectly no issues at all] Thoughts? Ideas? Trying to save time... Thanx!

A:Multi boot default (XP, Vista, 7, Ubuntu)

I think the issue is that the upgrade path to Win 7 is Vista, then Win 7.

There is no upgrade path from XP to Win 7.

Does your system support f8 at boot to give you a bios boot manager. Not the f8
for windows boot options screen.

My Asus board uses f8, other boards may use a different key.

If your board supports an f8 you may be able to boot xp that way

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/9940-multi-boot-default-xp-vista-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I have Vista installed on my laptop which was already on the machine when I bought it new, it had a few problems after some years, I think I should just reinstall Vista with an ISO that I've got from here.

But a few weeks ago I installed Ubuntu on dual boot.

If I install the Vista ISO from a USB drive should I download the drivers for the hard drive or will the Ubuntu drivers work? Or not because it's a different operating system?

Thanks

A:Reinstalling Vista on dual boot Ubuntu

I made this thread difficult to understand so I simplified it, hope you can help

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/304175-reinstalling-vista-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Ok so here's the deal A while ago I decided to try out Ubuntu on my RAID JBOD computer setup but unfortunately Ubuntu or would not even start up it would just sit in command prompt waiting for an input from me but of course I'm no expert in such things something about quot raminitfs quot and it would just sit there waiting for me to type something but even after typing quot help quot I am still lost So after a good hour looking at other forums with no success I decided to take Ubuntu off But see here's some tricky stuff When I installed both Ubuntu versions instead of creating a partition I chose to install it right in Windows as an APPLICATION Ubuntu issue & Dual Boot Vista saying that it might decrease disk performance but no biggie I uninstalled both versions as I would with a regular application Default programs gt Programs gt Uninstall The problem here is the following every time I boot up I come up to the Windows Vista boot manager screen and gives me the following options Windows Vista Ubuntu Ubuntu But the problem is I already uninstalled both Ubuntu versions I already tried using the repair method on my Vista DVD as well Vista & Ubuntu Dual Boot issue as the bootrec fixboot and bootrec fixmbr command methods but they didn't do anything The options are still appearing every time I boot I figured an alternative would be to go into Advanced Settings through Computer gt Properties and Vista & Ubuntu Dual Boot issue then check off the time to display multiple OSes option but it still gripes me that the Ubuntu option is still there somewhere on my RAID hard drives and I cannot remove it I checked the Disk Manager under Administrative Options in the control panel and I see no other partitions other than Vista This is still an issue to me because what if I want to install Windows XP or something and I have to use the Windows Vista Boot Manager I would appreciate it if there is anyone out there who knows how to solve this problem Thank You Soma PS For reference I have windows vista business bit

A:Vista & Ubuntu Dual Boot issue

Hello Soma, and welcome to the Vista Forums

The easiest way to solve this is type msconfig.exe into the start search bar and press enter

This will load the config editor on the Boot tab you should be able to delete the remnant entries

If you wish to dual boot Vista and Ubuntu I would recommend EasyBCD. Their documentation on their site includes a step by step for doing the dual boot and retaining control in vista.

NeoSmart Technologies

Hope this helps

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/197078-vista-ubuntu-dual-boot-issue.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hey Everyone,

Can Someone please give me some steps or an rough idea on how to remove a dual boot of Vista and Ubuntu? The reason I want to dump Unbuntu is because I simply don't care for it and prefer Vista. It was pretty easy to install a Dual Boot, but I'm not sure of how to unload Ubuntu. Any help concerning this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Geekienick101

A:Please Help, Reversing a Dual Boot with Vista and Ubuntu

Hi
Try to run this command under console as Administrator

c:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

It should restore MBR. Partitions you can remove using Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer (maybe Disk) Management.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-reversing-a-dual-boot-with-vista-and-ubuntu.81599/
Relevancy 77.4%

I want to upgrade Vista to Windows 7, but without disturbing my Ubuntu installation, which is dual boot with Vista. I would prefer to do a clean install of Windows 7 over Vista, which has had niggling little issues (I resolve them and new ones appear) ever since I bought the pc. I don't have the recovery discs for Vista (the ones you make when you buy a new system) as they went missing during a major move.

What is the best way to accomplish all the above? Also, from what I understand, a clean installation can be done with an upgrade version of Windows 7 as long as a previous version of Vista or XP is already on the machine? I am not terribly confident when it comes to doing things like this, so would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

A:Installing Windows 7 over Vista on dual boot with Ubuntu

Is your Ubuntu installation on a partition on the same hard disk or on a seperate one?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/208480-installing-windows-7-over-vista-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 77.4%

A friend of mine has a Compaq Presario PC with Pentium 4 3.2 GHz CPU, 100GB Hard Drive, 1 GB RAM running Vista Home Basic. He created a second partition to place UBUNTU 9.04.

Now we get the following error message at boot time: "Inaccessible_boot_device" and another time when it did some kind of check we read "Primary Master Hard Disk Error"

He doesnot have a separate VISTA disk nor does he have a backup of the system before turning his PC into a dual-boot computer. Don't bother asking any follow up questions as I'm not near the PC now. I'm going to visit it on the 25th of December.

Does anyone have any suggested links to understand how to dig ourselves out of this problem?

Are there any software programs on a bootable disk that can restore the computer to the time before UBUNTU was added?

A:Problems creating Vista/Ubuntu Dual Boot

Hi this is a how to on dual booting vista and ubuntu http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...lled_first.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problems-creating-vista-ubuntu-dual-boot-444272.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hi,

I am actually using Windows Vista Home Premium and I would like to dualboot Ubuntu Linux 8.04 Desktop Version to it but I don't know how to do it. Can someone help me for that

Also I would like to know what can be done on Linux that is same to windows. As example playing games etc...

Thanks in advance for any help
amagnien

A:Dual Boot Vista with Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop Version

Whenever I have installed Ubuntu, it has given me the option of if I would like to partition a disk and do an installation. I have never done it that way. Instead, I have a separate disk that I put Ubuntu on. The installation CD would show the two disks and ask which one I wanted to install on. I always had a smaller disk for Ubuntu, so identifying which one was easy. Ubuntu would do the rest, but it does make Ubuntu the default disk, and you will choose which disk you want to boot into using Linux's GRUB. You can, if you want, go into menu.lst and choose which operating system it will boot into after how many seconds have elapsed.

Ubuntu's programs can do everything the everyday user could hope to do: word processing, spreadsheets, image editing, slide shows, playing music and movies. There are games available for Linux, but not as exciting and graphically rich as those available for Windows. If you're a gamer, you won't like Linux. But for everything else, it will be a fun ride. GIMP is as close to Photoshop as you could wish, Inkscape does a nice job of doing tasks that Illustrator can do. For making brochures, books, and other published items, Scribus is a little tricky but it works well. You can record your voice or musical instruments into Audacity and make wave or OGG files. You can import Photoshop files into GIMP, Illustrator files into Inkscape (after you download some filters), and any file made in Microsoft Office. Linux is quite versatile.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-vista-with-ubuntu-8-04-desktop-version.114069/
Relevancy 76.54%

Help please

new blueray player now vista wont boot, but ubuntu linux does

this is a dual boot system

its a sata drive from pioneer

old optical ide drive broke so bought a new sata drive

i have a sata harddrive in number 1 sata connector and now a sata pioneer bdr-208 in sata connector 2

this motherboard  is old,  so no help from manufacturer
and pioneer is closed for the weekend

A:new blueray player now vista wont boot, but ubuntu linux does

nevermind
i pulled power to sata bluray player booted to windows
shutdown computer
cleaned computer {air}
hooked power back to bluray player
and now it works
i think vista had to boot to a no dvd
to make it see a bluray player

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/510575/new-blueray-player-now-vista-wont-boot-but-ubuntu-linux-does/
Relevancy 75.68%

If I have Vista x64 and Ubuntu x64 on the same hdd (different partitions) will Vista complete system backup also backup the ubuntu partition to an external usb hdd?.In other words is the Ubuntu also recoverable via the image created by vista?.

A:Dual Boot Vista Ultimate x64/Linux Ubuntu x64.Backup Image

Hello Mika,

Sorry, but the backup image that Vista creates is only of the Vista partition or drive. Ubuntu will not be backed up by Vista.

You should be able to use the free program Macrium Reflect to create a back up image of both partitions though.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/208445-dual-boot-vista-ultimate-x64-linux-ubuntu-x64-backup-image.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Man I've tried everything... I think. Even downloaded MSFT Vista Recovery reboot files to CD (from Neostart). Every time I go thru the process of starting in the F8 options it just won't go anywhere.

Going the route of the F10 startup option to do "startup repair" fails and attempts to boot from the other partition (backup files) or my downloaded recovery CD ends up with the same error message that says corrupted KSECDD files won't let me go anywhere.

In desperation, I tried to reinstall Vista from the Neostart boot CD and the backup partiton files and and it stops too.

Any ideas??? Thanks!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-home-prem-ntfs-and-ksecdd-errors-wont-boot-301224.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Tried to update Java and low disk space warning comes up.250 gb hard drive with C and D partitions.C has 90% free.D is near full.I am guessing that D is the oem Vista partition.Why does it try to write on D and not C?

A:Dell/vista partition problem.Please Help!

What is on C:? And if it is not needed, just delete it and extend D:.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/269524-dell-vista-partition-problem-please-help.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi Want to multi boot XP Vista Win Win and Unbantu Currently have win on an SSD I've had win DP CP RP install for testing but now have wiped that drive I have an empty GB drive I want to install all those OS on I think the correct order of installs would be XP - updating to SP x Vista - updating SP x Win - updating SP x Use EasyBCD to build a boot loader menu with WIn as default Ubuntu Boot through grub to get back to WIn Update EasyBCD boot loader menu with WIn as default and add Linux menu item Win RP x Boot back to win somehow from win Update EasyBCD boot loader menu with WIn as default and win menu item I'm sure I'm missing some small but important steps I want to use win as default so there is not reboot to get to other OS's as when Win is the default Also not sure if I need to remove the boot flag for XP Win8 - Win7 of order XP Multi OS Ubuntu Correct Boot Vista installs if Multi Boot Correct order of OS installs - XP Vista Win7 Ubuntu Win8 i'm loading Vista right after Of coarse I have OS backup images Multi Boot Correct order of OS installs - XP Vista Win7 Ubuntu Win8 and data backup on other Data backup drives Can several of you out there give this a once over and post some pointers to make this go fairly smooth Thanks Multi Boot Correct order of OS installs - XP Vista Win7 Ubuntu Win8

A:Multi Boot Correct order of OS installs - XP Vista Win7 Ubuntu Win8

Unless you do it and report back if it was successful we would not know if this is the way go.

If you install Windows versions from old to new (XP, Vista, 7, 8) every OS automatically cares for dual/multi booting.

I would install Ubuntu/GRUB last but not to MBR !

Adding a boot sector loader later for any Linux is not a problem.
1. Copy GRUB first stage (copy partition boot sector) to a file.
2. Create a boot sector loader in system BCD with file from 1.
See how to add any Linux to Windows BCD with bcdedit or Visual BCD

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/9962-multi-boot-correct-order-os-installs-xp-vista-win7-ubuntu-win8.html
Relevancy 74.82%

My buddy has a computer with a problem and he s asked me to see if I can retrieve the data documents from the computer The subject computer is a COMPAQ PRESARIO SR NX with a Pentium cpu GHz GB RAM running Windows Vista Home Basic His goal was to create a dual boot computer UBUNTU and Vista What he did was one Saturday morning without reading directions he installed UBUNTU partitioning the computer in two partitions The computer Problem computer UBUNTU boot to a Failed Create a dual --Vista with Attempt - is now giving an error code of when GRUB Loader starts up Is there a restore disk or some kind of utility that can undo what was done to the computer He has no backup disk I tried Recovery Commander Ver made by Avanquest but as their website Problem with a Failed Attempt to Create a dual boot --Vista - UBUNTU computer indicates it s for XP They never updated it for Vista and Windows Is there a utility that can undo some of the changes that were made to the machine when UBUNTU was installed albeit unsuccessfully I have an HP PC running XP professional and I was wondering if I take the hard drive out from the COMPAQ and rig it to my HP via a SATA IDE to USB Adapter device would I be able to see the contents of that COMPAQ computer that had Vista and now UBUNTU We re just after the data files and not software programs Thanks for any links or advice

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-a-failed-attempt-to-create-a-dual-boot-vista-ubuntu-computer-475135.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I m trying to help my friend fix his computer which was FULL of viruses I think I managed to delete somewhere around So his Dell Inspiron e laptop vista sp now boots and works BUT the viruses wrecked havoc on the OS All the short cuts on the start menu recovery Vista Dell's partition? accessing Help are gone the administrative tools are missing internet settings are messed up and things like System Restore Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are completely gone I Help accessing Dell's Vista recovery partition? checked and his laptop has a recovery partition left by Dell to fix windows if there was a problem Well there is and since I can t be every single virus is gone and windows is so beat up he decided to have me reinstall Vista for him PROBLEM I can t get into the recovery partition Help accessing Dell's Vista recovery partition? The method on Dell s website isn t working I know its there and I m pretty sure it still has the windows files but I just can t access it to fix it Aside from calling Dell and Help accessing Dell's Vista recovery partition? requesting a disc which I think would be like or so is there a way to fix this Thanks nbsp

A:Help accessing Dell's Vista recovery partition?

I assume he didn't bother making his own set of Recovery DVDs. Having him order them from Dell is probably best. If you have available or can borrow an installation DVD of the same version (OEM, Home Premium or whatever) you may be able to install that way and use the Product Key that should be on a sticker on the PC.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-accessing-dells-vista-recovery-partition.1076351/
Relevancy 73.1%

My Dell Inspiron has a virus that prevents it from starting. I need to reinstall the OS, but when I click the option "repair your computer" in the BIOS it does nothing. It just remains at the same screen. It's been like that since I bought it, but now I actually need it... Obviously it didn't come with an OS disk because it's supposed to be available at the recovery partition but it dosen't work >.<

What should I do? I'm not feeling spending 200$ on an OS disk.

A:Vista restore partition on Dell PC dosen't work >.<

Hi -

Contact Dell Support and purchase replacement Dell OEM Vista recovery discs. The cost is usually about $25 -

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...dhs&~ck=anavml

Wipe the HDD completely with KillDisk, then reinstall Vista with new Dell recovery DVD.

KillDisk - http://jcgriff2.com/0x1/killdisk_imgburn.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-restore-partition-on-dell-pc-dosent-work-538190.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi ... I have a problem with my girlfriends Inspiron...

I was running Partition Magic today and wanted to resize one of the partitions ... After restart Vista won't run...
I pick the Launch StartuP recovery, it shows System recovery Options window with nothing in it .... When I try to load the drivers it lets me to choose from 3 partions ... but there is no Partition C with the OS .
When I run startup repair it says: The Partition table does not have a valid System Partition. repair action : Partition table repair
Please help ... girlfriend nearly killed me ... cause of "lost" music etc ...
Thank You ...

A:Partition Table problem in Dell Laptop running Vista

Originally Posted by wiedun

Hi ... I have a problem with my girlfriends Inspiron...

I was running Partition Magic today and wanted to resize one of the partitions ... After restart Vista won't run...
I pick the Launch StartuP recovery, it shows System recovery Options window with nothing in it .... When I try to load the drivers it lets me to choose from 3 partions ... but there is no Partition C with the OS .
When I run startup repair it says: The Partition table does not have a valid System Partition. repair action : Partition table repair
Please help ... girlfriend nearly killed me ... cause of "lost" music etc ...
Thank You ...

W

First partition magic doesn't support vista. it was written in the XP hey day and doesn't know how to cope with vista or win 7.

there are many undelete 3rd party applications. You should stop using it untill you retrieve the data

If the data has not been overwrittin you should be able to retrieve some if not all.

Ken

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/254531-partition-table-problem-dell-laptop-running-vista.html
Relevancy 72.67%

My Dell Laptop came with Windows Vista Home Premium I didn't get any Windows Disk but there is a Windows Vista Recovery partition from which I can restore laptop to the condition it was when I first got it It has only partitions the system partition and recovery partition Now I want to install Windows I tried to shrink the system partition so I can save the Vista installation programs and data Installing without recovering removing partition Vista (DELL) Windows7 and install Win for a dual boot but I can only get GB even though HDD capacity is GB and free space is more than GB I like to have the ability of restoring my laptop anytime to its original condition with Vista Basically - I need to install Win and use it regularly - Want to have the ability to restore that to its factory settings Don't want to harm the Installing Windows7 without removing Vista recovering partition (DELL) Recovery partition amp ability to recover from it - Optionally Better if I can dual boot the default Vista with my new Win Shrinking won't help because it doesn't give enough space can I use Norton Ghost or something like that to save my original HDD image But then I will have it saved somewhere else not in my own Laptop if I had to remove the recovery partition and format the disk again Please give me my options and tools which I can use Thank you very much

A:Installing Windows7 without removing Vista recovering partition (DELL)

Installing Windiws 7 may/may not make the Dell Recovery Partition unusable.

How to use Dell Recovery Partition,make Recovery Disks & how to order Recovery Disks.
Dell - Support

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/190504-installing-windows7-without-removing-vista-recovering-partition-dell.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I have an inspiron 6400 which came with four primary partitions
1 dell utilities 55mb
2 recovery 10gb
3 os 137gb
4 dell media direct 2gb
I would like to install even xp on this system with out loosing vista for which i need to make a primary partition but all 4 primary partitions are filled as above.Any one please help me in which partition to delete to make a new primary partition for xp?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-on-creating-a-primary-partition-on-dell-inspiron-6400-preloaded-with-vista.610073/
Relevancy 71.81%

i need the folders in d:\sources\recovery, like recenv.exe and others. cause i accidentally played around and delete some folders of the partitition, :P, as i posted here as well.

Anyone know where can I get Dell recenv.exe? - Laptop General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community

http://www.vistax64.com/software/301320-does-anyone-has-dell-recovery-partition-d-drive-mine-inspiron-1520-vista.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi

I have a laptop running vista 32- bit, i recently decided i also wanted to run xp as well so i partitioned my external hard drive as my main one was already full. I then tried to install xp but obviously the external drive is not visible to startup. I cancelled the install and a screen appeared saying press enter to boot from win vista, however when i press enter nothing happens. Any ideas?

Relevancy 70.95%

I'm trying to transition my dell laptop from an gb hard drive to a gb one I cloned the C partition of the gb drive to the only partition on the gb drive using the linux dd command I left the MBR of the gb drive alone The primary only partition on the gb drive is active so it should be bootable But when I Cloned won't vista partition boot try to boot from it the computer just hangs right after POST on a black screen with a flashing cursor I'm guessing the boot loader is not being found the MBR pointing to the wrong sector or the boot loader is failing I only have a basic Cloned vista partition won't boot understanding of the boot system so I'm lost at this point What's needed now to get Vista to boot from this drive I have a feeling I need to remake the MBR to be Vista compatible and maybe remake the BCD Unfortunately I don't have a Vista CD dell only gave me a quot upgrade quot cd so I can't run the recovery console I believe I have bcdedit but no bootrec My two MBR's look like this C Downloads Simtel gt mbrwiz list MBRWiz - Version for Windows XP K PE November Copyright c - Cloned vista partition won't boot Roger Layton http mbr bigr net Disk Size G Pos MBRndx Type Name Size Active Hide Start Sector Sectors --- ------ ---------- ---- ------ ---- ------------ ------------ DE-UNKNWN M No No -NTFS G No No -NTFS G Yes No F-EXTEND G No No Disk Size G Pos MBRndx Type Name Size Active Hide Start Sector Sectors --- ------ ---------- ---- ------ ---- ------------ ------------ -NTFS G Yes No As you can see there's a bunch of junk partitions on the original disk which is why I don't want to clone the whole drive as is Any help is greatly appreciated

A:Cloned vista partition won't boot

Welcome to TSF!

Have a look at this article. Also Google "Windows Vista Recovery Disc" and you will find a number of interesting article as well.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dont-have-one/

Paul

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cloned-vista-partition-wont-boot-237724.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I have an HP Compaq p laptop with Windows Vista bit Ultimate It has been Deleted Vista boot partition, now won't working perfectly Today I used Acronis True Image to make a complete PC backup When I started Acronis a pop-up asked me if I wanted to protect my laptop by letting Acronis create a secure partition to do backups in Foolishly I pressed the button and it created a GB hidden partition cutting the C Deleted partition, now Vista won't boot drive down from GB to Deleted partition, now Vista won't boot GB This is too small for my needs so I tried to reverse the chamge Acronis let me delete the partition but it then became unallocated space I tried various tools to increase the C partition back to GB but withoit success Then I tried Parted Magic a live CD and this allowed me to grow the C partition back to GB preserving all of its data including the OS However now the laptop will not boot The error message refers to the file quot windows system winload exe quot which does exist along with all the usual folders Boot Windows Program Files etc I notice from Parted Magic that the single partition does not seem to be called a drive letter It is called quot dev sda quot mounted on media sda Could this be an issue I can't see how to assign it a letter I'd be grateful for any suggestions

A:Deleted partition, now Vista won't boot

OK - I've found the solution!

In case it helps others, here is the article I found which explains that this is a normal situation after resizing a partition, and the answer is to boot from an appropriate Vista installation or recovery disc and select "Repair".

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/

I did that, and now the laptop boots from its hard drive again.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/deleted-partition-now-vista-wont-boot-382085.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Basically Vista boot XP won't now partition corrupted, I was using the Vista bootloader to boot XP and today I had to restore a backup image of the xp partition which somehow broke the vista bootloader Vista partition corrupted, now XP won't boot So I tried the normal repair boot from the Vista dvd that did not work so I had to go through the command prompt So now I can boot into Vista only I can t write the files to the Vista partition that I need to boot to XP Vista says the disk is corrupt and to run checkdisk I do this and when it boots it runs checkdisk the immediately next boot after reboot the bootloader no longer works at all So I m sort of stuck in a rut Any advice would be appreciated Just ask if you need more specifics P S This is on raid array and slipstreaming the drivers onto XP disk has not worked for some reason which is why I m even bothering with Vista nbsp

A:Vista partition corrupted, now XP won't boot

read the post by uhaligani 3 posts down
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/543644-can-i-add-xp-after.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-partition-corrupted-now-xp-wont-boot.771147/
Relevancy 70.95%

I got a new HP pc with vista pre-installed can't dual see vista boot partition in the primary partition and there was a smaller system partition I guess the smaller dual boot can't see vista partition one has the recovery files Anyways I shrank the primary partion then created a new partion and formatted that Then re-booted with xp cd but when I went to install it dual boot can't see vista partition only showed one c partition and it appeared to be dual boot can't see vista partition the size of the partition I just created so installed xp there It said the space was unformatted although I had just formatted in vista So now I have XP but I can only see my c drive where xp is installed but can t see the vista partition or the smaller system partition I figured once I installed XP I could use VistaBootPro to restore vista to the boot menu but can t see vista I read something in another dual boot post about dis-abling a sata driver or something in the bios does that have anything to with it And its a new pc and I didn t make a restore disk I know I should have done that before I started screwing around so I don t have a vista cd any suggestions appreciated thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-cant-see-vista-partition.711246/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi so I'm setting up to transition to Windows Biz from Vista Home I have a single hd on my laptop split into partitions C D V in that order on the drive C was my original Vista Home D is a simple partition with no page filing and basically for document storage I cloned using norton ghost the C to the V so that in the future I could put Win on C and also have vista on V I'm not sure if this is where I went wrong but I later realized I couldnt select to boot the V in order to make sure the clone turned out fine So I booted through ubuntu located externally so I could format the C and I guess force OS booting through V I did that and boot partition Vista Moving now my V is sorta messed up It will boot to a temporary user cause it can't load my original profile up Can someone let me know where I wen't wrong with this Is it necessary to have the OS booting from the first partition Thanks

A:Moving Vista boot partition

bump....................

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/moving-vista-boot-partition-407056.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I'm not quite sure what's causing the problem but for one reason or another Vista never gets past the quot loading quot bar I've run the startup fixer-thing but it just said there problem boot/Partition Vista was a problem that couldn't be fixed automatically and rebooted or failed to reboot rather I've installed Ubuntu which seems to have no real problem reading the partition so I think it might just be a problem with the bootloader files When I try to mount it it says it's marked as still in use which makes sense as my last shutdown was a crash and when I use the terminal to force it it gives an error but still works quot LogFile indicates unclean shutdown WARNING Forced mount reset LogFile fuse failed to access mountpoint media OS Install Vista boot/Partition problem No such file or directory quot But it still works That's the only reason I have to believe it's a partition problem other than that it seems to exclusively be Windows' fault The last Vista boot/Partition problem quot shutdown quot was a hardware crash I'm on a -built MSI gx- The case literally bends causing some sort of short or something possibly in the graphics card which is why I had to do an unclean shutdown

A:Vista boot/Partition problem

Hi, boot from the vista DVD go past the language setup and select "repair your computer" go to command prompt and type. Reboot to take effect:-

Code:
Bcdedit ?store c:\boot\BCD ?set GUID path \windows\system32\Boot\winload.exe

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-boot-partition-problem-348031.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I want to migrate to a larger hard drive. I can copy the boot partition to the new hard drive successfully, but can not enlarge it to the larger disk size. Help.

A:Expand Vista 64 Boot Partition...

You can copy but still need a drive partitioning tool in order to expand or shrink an existing partition. If you are using a disk imaging software the best results are seen when transferring onto an identical drive. On a new larger drive you would generally create a brand new primary and then make a backup image from that later.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/202963-expand-vista-64-boot-partition.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Not sure what I was thinking when I did this but some time ago, I created a dual boot on this machine and installed Vista...which I never use.
The only time I even see the log in screen is when Windows XP did an automatic update in the middle of the night and the system rebooted automatically (Vista also won't allow you to set XP as the default OS for start up so unless I'm sitting at the computer to choose "older operating system", it will always boot to Vista)

This is a Dell Dimension 8300 (bout 5 yrs old I think)
I'm currently using XP Sp3.

I just want to delete the boot partition where Vista lives.

Hopefully this can be accomplished without requiring an engineering degree.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/want-to-delete-vista-boot-partition-xp-sp3-451442.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi very simple thing happened I created a rd partition which meant I then acquired the hidden disk recovery one partition with Vista and another with Windows Beta then I created gigs for Windows XP Sp I'm not sure why windows xp took over my boot from the original OS's but it pretty much crippled my system because I wasn't able to get online and get something that would alter the drives or don't know how to do it I deleted the Win XP partition with the Win XP CD but out of sheer hope but that as anticipated took out my boots Now I cant get into the drive Is boot in Lost Vista partition, MBR won't there anyway Lost MBR in partition, Vista won't boot I can get my boot loader going without a reformat using Dos or something I have two other computers handy but I need my Lost MBR in partition, Vista won't boot main one back I was thinking of installing Vista CD on the rd partition then download EasyBCD name and then using that program to alter the boot process Possible That would be two Vista's installed on drives but its the only way I can think of doing it

A:Lost MBR in partition, Vista won't boot

restore boot with advanced recovery on Vista Disk
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/212852-lost-mbr-partition-vista-wont-boot.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Is the new Vista NTFS files system compatible with the XP version when useing a storage partition formatted NTFS on a external SATA hard drive ? Or is it best to create separate partitions for each O/S, save files only on one for XP, and the other only for Vista files ? After I saved a few Vista files to that external SATA HD, connected by eSATA, and some by USB, then when booted into my other PC with XP, it really delayed when I opened that shared NTFS partition to view folders and files, which is as; D: drive for XP.

Relevancy 70.09%

The Problem NTFS partition formatted under SAFE boot under SAFE normal accessed boot under NTFS be boot partition cannot formatted cannot be accessed under normal boot I installed a Hitachi DeskStar GB disk into a Dell Dimension running Windows XP Home SP I was able to initialize and partition the disk but the only format I could do was FAT I booted in SAFE mode and was able to format the partitions as NTFS Rebooted the system into normal mode and the partitions were no longer recognized as being formatted they were RAW Rebooted in SAFE mode NTFS partition formatted under SAFE boot cannot be accessed under normal boot and the formatted NTFS partition formatted under SAFE boot cannot be accessed under normal boot partitions were visible and I could successfully write to them Rebooted in normal mode the system ran chkdsk complained about corruption and the partitions were termed as RAW file system Rebooted in SAFE mode and everything is ok Below is the HijackThis log for the normal boot and the HijackThis log for the SAFE boot follows it AOL and McAfee are both running in the normal boot version and there are two entries that look odd to me they are the BHO entry with rzicrzy dll and the BHO entry with tzdxnm dll Thanks very much for your help NORMAL BOOT Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS NTFS partition formatted under SAFE boot cannot be accessed under normal boot system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Nhksrv exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLAcsd exe C Program Files Common Files AOL TopSpeed aoltsmon exe C WINDOWS System CTsvcCDA EXE C PROGRA McAfee MSC mcmscsvc exe c program files common files mcafee mna mcnasvc exe c PROGRA COMMON mcafee mcproxy mcproxy exe C PROGRA McAfee VIRUSS mcshield exe C Program Files McAfee MPF MPFSrv exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS wanmpsvc exe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exe C WINDOWS system devldr exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS DELLMMKB EXE C Program Files Microsoft Hardware Mouse point exe C Program Files Adaptec Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe C Program Files Netropa OSD exe C PROGRA MI F GAMECO common swtrayv exe C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E S I K EXE C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLDial exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLSoftware exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files AOL Active Security Monitor ASMonitor exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync WCESCOMM EXE C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Kodak Kodak EasyShare software bin EasyShare exe C PROGRA AOL waol exe c PROGRA mcafee msc mcuimgr exe C PROGRA AOL shellmon exe C Program Files HijackThis analyse exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localhost R - URLSearchHook AOLTBSearch Class - EA - - DB- F -D CA FB C D - C Program Files AOL AOL Toolbar aoltb dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Inter... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ntfs-partition-formatted-under-safe-boot-cannot-be-accessed-under-normal-boot.768779/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hey guys. The only Problem I am having now is being able to format the partition with Vista still on it. For some reason I just can't get rid of it. Wondering if you guys had any advice on how to get rid of it.

A:Can't format partition with Vista on it from dual boot

Hi Byronic, OS's are pretty protective of each other. Try a third party partition tool. Easeus has a free version of their Partition Manager. It works great and doesn't care what is on that partition. I've used it several times myself.
Hope this helps. Have fun!

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/56344-cant-format-partition-vista-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have 9 GB of space on my hard drive that isn't used for anything, nor does it even have a drive letter. I had Ubuntu on this drive (so no it's not a recovery drive) and I no longer need it. The only problem is that I cannot re-add the 9 GB of space to my C: drive. The extend volume is greyed out, therefore I cannot do anything.

I was wondering if there was any 3RD party program that could do this for me, or if there was a work around for this issue? Thanks!

ALSO: Here is a screen shot of diskmgmt.msc that shows the drive that isn't being used.

http://xs137.xs.to/xs137/09124/diskmgr355.jpg

Again, thank you!

A:Solved: Extending boot partition in Vista.

try deleteing the free space partition
this will create unallocated space
the try from C again and see if extend is present

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-extending-boot-partition-in-vista.811803/
Relevancy 70.09%

Um, what the title says. I went to boot up vista and it says boot failure. I haven't changed anything on that hard drive. help...

A:Vista partition won't boot after installing windows 7 on another hdd

it says. boot disc failure. insert system disc and press enter.

When i installed windows 7. i took out my hdd with vista on it and put a new hdd in to install 7.
When i swapped them back, i get this error.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-partition-wont-boot-after-installing-windows-7-on-another-hdd-334356.html
Relevancy 70.09%

hello

first time post here, i hope you guys could help me out as no one else seems to care on the other forums

i had a w7-v dual boot, yesterday i decided to format my vista partition since i wanted to use the whole disk for w7, after which when i restarted my laptop all i saw was a blank black screen, i tried to use my installation CD to repair w7, however when ever i get to the repair screen the laptop freezes and then after a few seconds completely switches off.

couple of times i got the BSOD too while trying to use the instalation cd for repairs

all your help would be greatly appreciated

Relevancy 70.09%

Help I decided last night to remove the XP partition from my dual boot and keep Vista Home Premium When I made the dual boot I already had XP installed and just partitioned the drive and installed vista on Boot Vista from Removing Partition XP Dual the second partition using Vista boot pro to change the boot order I searched last night and came upon this website http www howtogeek com forum topic removing-xp-on-a-dula-boot-config and used it to remove the partition Before I started I Removing XP Partition from Vista Dual Boot used vista boot pro on the vista partition and deleted the XP entry so that it would only boot into Vista I then booted using Gparted and deleted the XP partition and resized my vista partition When I restarted it came up with an error message so I booted into the Vista DVD to repair but it doesnt give me the option to select my vista drive to repair I think the XP partiton may have been the sytem partition Help please Steve nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-xp-partition-from-vista-dual-boot.823554/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi i'm having problems with booting up Vista after attempting to partition my hard drive and dual boot XP and Vista Okay so i have Vista installed and wanted to install XP for games so it would be faster I started by Partitioning my HD in Vista and all went well I booted the XP install CD after a restart and put it on the partitioned part of my HD It extracted the files it needed and restart itself Then came the problems It started itself up and gave me an error on a black on XP Dual Vista & partition. boot BSOD screen that was like multi disk rdisk partition So i Repaired Vista with the install CD and booted Vista up I thought it was something to do with the partition so i deleted it created a fresh partition and started again It failed a second time so i rested my BIOS to fail start defaults or something and tried to install again After some fiddling around i gave up and deleted the partition in the XP setup and restarted After this i got a BSOD with the stop error A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer if this screen appears again follow these Dual boot Vista & XP on partition. BSOD steps Check for viruses on your computer Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated Run CHKDSK F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer Technical information Stop x B xF C A Dual boot Vista & XP on partition. BSOD XC X X I tried using the Vista repair but it doesn't do anything it just tells me to remove any newly insterted things or new drivers I am hoping that i won't have to re-format or anything because i have some important files on my HD Thank you for any support in advance

A:Dual boot Vista & XP on partition. BSOD

Hi. . .

Here is a thread from Hardware Support that contains the same BSOD error:

Tech Support Forum - Hardware Support - BSOD - 7b

regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/dual-boot-vista-and-xp-on-partition-bsod-223722.html
Relevancy 70.09%

i just got the acer 6920 with Core 2 Duo T5550 1.83Ghz, 3GB mem, 320gb hdd, vista premium. But I am trying to shrink the volume which is currently 298.09 GB. I also want to dual boot xp pro. I would like to get it down to 50GB and create another 40GB for XP and the rest for data storage. It will only allow me to shrink to 172GB allowing 126.09 GB. any help is appreciated

Joe

A:Shrink Partition And Dual Boot Vista And Xp

any one got any ideas...Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/153039/shrink-partition-and-dual-boot-vista-and-xp/
Relevancy 70.09%

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition and I recently copied that partition off a old IDE hard drive with a 500 GB capacity to a newer SATA hard drive with a 1 TB capacity. I copied the partition between the two drives by using GParted. I ran some diagnostic tools I have and the newer hard drive seems to be fine. I don't want to install the older drive back in and I backup all of my stuff but I still don't want to reinstall vista.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

A:[SOLVED] Vista won't boot after copied the partition

nevermind, fixed the issue. I ran the startup repair tool off of the vista setup disc and it started up fine.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-vista-wont-boot-after-copied-the-partition-355492.html
Relevancy 70.09%

My uncles PC has three partitions on

C:Vista
D:XP
Eownloads

now he was running out of room on Vista so I used ACRONIS DISK DIRECTOR to delete D and E - now vista wont boot nor will the vist DVD repair the startup - it doesnt recognise vista in its list but it OS there cos i can browse the files...

how can i fix this?
thanks

Relevancy 70.09%

Does anyone know how to install vista in a system and boot partition. The system partition contains just the files vista needs to start and the boot contains the rest of the os files. I am trying to find out how to partition the hard drive ( how large each partition needs to be, and what files need to go on the system partition)

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/142631-how-install-vista-system-boot-partition.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have vista running on a 500 gb hard drive. I wanted to install it onto another hard drive. So I put in the other hard drive and the vista disk, successfully installed it, took it out, but now when I start up my comp to the first 500 gb HD, it shows two vista OS boot options, still thinking there is a second drive/partition with vista on it. But there is no second hard drive there. How do I get rid of the unnecessary vista boot choice? (i've already tried vista's start-up repair)

A:[SOLVED] Extra Vista Boot Partition?

Hi. . .

You cannot install the same Vista OS - same key code onto another drive or system. Plug the other drive back ion and re-format it using disk management.

START | type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-extra-vista-boot-partition-289472.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I am not able to boot in my 40 GB harddisk due to some reasons. But i want to recover the data from it but when i boot through bootable floppy i don't get any drive because partition in NTFS. Please tell me how to recover data or able to see NTFS partition and copy selected file to floppy.

A:Boot into NTFS partition

Put the drive in as a slave drive in an OS that supports NTFS

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-into-ntfs-partition.202498/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello everyone So to Partition Boot Partition FAT for NTFS results that after weeks working fine my PC gave me only BSoD for all OS's load even with every F loading options of Vista x This was I think due to some difficult and unworkable installation of ATI Catalyst Software So FAT Partition to NTFS for Boot Partition I decide to do a clean re-install of both of my OSs After having a pain to eliminate Partition on the DISC where Boot files were installed since XP installation program was saying it could not access this FAT Partition to NTFS for Boot Partition HD partition I succeed to do it by switching in Bios my Priority of HDD FAT Partition to NTFS for Boot Partition But my problem is not that Here it is after eliminate all partition on Both HDD I partition again leaving on each Disc GB first partition for Boot Files So When I install XP Pro SP automaticly when I indicate to install on third partition of on of my DISC the program indicate that it has to format DRIVE C First Partition of DISC for some OS files suppose BOOT Files and automaticly format it as FAT after that give me the option to quick format the Third Partition as NTFS where XP will be installed So now I have a FAT partition C which indicate in administrative Tools gt Disc Management is SYSTEM eventhough in Explorer with View all Hide File active nothing it's showed in this drive C I want to Install now Vista Home Premium x and I think I read once that VISTA is the first OS not compatible with FAT partition Do I have to change this C partition from FAT to NTFS How can I do that and make sure to keep XP Boot File in good shape Also I'd like to activate PAE for my XP sonce I have gb RAM disponible but I installed EasyBCD but when I start it it show error saying that I do not have Vista Installed Before when my PC was working I try through EasyBCD in Vista to activate PAE but it did not show that I had XP installed How does it work Thks in advance for your answers

A:FAT Partition to NTFS for Boot Partition

Install windows vista on another partition than windows XP partition, and you will have a dual boot " Windows XP & windows Vista".

To convert c: partition to NTFS open "run" in windows XP and write the following:

convert c: /fs:ntfs

then restart your PC to complete the conversion process.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/150945-fat-partition-ntfs-boot-partition.html
Relevancy 69.23%

hi guys

my firstime posting here so if this is in the wrong section of the forum then sorry for that

a while a go i installed w764 on my gx700 extreme msi as a dual boot along side vista. i had no problem with the booting it allways gave me an option to choose the os i wanted to boot, however i formated the vista partition so i could merge it with w7 using acronis. know when ever i start the laptop i dont see any boot options but just a blank blac screen with a blinking white line

any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated

the sooner i fix this the sooner i could finish my assignments

thank you

A:w7 and vista dual boot problem after formating partition

First you need the Win. 7 installation CD...

and then follow these instructions: http://www.ehow.com/how_4836283_repair-mbr-windows.html

then Windows 7 should be able to boot, also do you have any other OS's at the moment or just 7?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/w7-and-vista-dual-boot-problem-after-formating-partition-494767.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello I decided to install another OS which I am using here Because of the way my Laptop Dell XPS M is set up it has partitions One for the OS Windows Vista one for Recovery which only has the defualt factory image anyway one for Dell Medic direct and finally one for the boot swap I think I decided to move everything from Recovery D to OS C and install the new OS into Recovery D This went fine and everything was running perfectly until I ran out of drive space in Recovery D only GB So I decided to trust Partition Manager tools to add an extra GB to Recovery D from OS C I set all the correct settings restarted and everything was going to plan until your program reported an error and said it had to restart Now I can t access OC C - it says I have to format it first When I try to boot into it a blue screen is shown So I decided to boot from the vista disk to try and recover OS C but it wasn t listed on the screen I decided to click next anyway and click Start-up repair After a few minutes it reported the root cause of the booting problem A corrupted boot sector partition which it could not repair I have ALL my personal and CRITICAL information that I really need back on OS C and I would like to request some help please Thanks and best regards Michael Thomas nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/corrupt-boot-sector-partition-windows-vista.785869/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hey all

I wish to dual boot my dell dimension 4700 xp home SP2 with windows vista.
But the last time i tried it, i had to format my hd and lost all my data..

I cant remember what exactly i did last time but here's the problem this time:

After selecting c drive im presented with this message:
And am not sure on what to do next?

Any help greatly appreciated

Relevancy 69.23%

There are plenty of threads that touch on this subject but I cannot find the answer to my specific concern:

I am running Seven on a dual boot and now wish to remove the Vista partition. I have the excellent Partition Wizard and I understand that I need to make the Seven Partition the active one before deleting the Vista Partition. However, I need to make the Vista Partition inactive before I am given the option of making the Seven Partition active and I get spooked by the warning message that displays when I instruct the Wizard to make Vista inactive.

Am I safe to go ahead and programme the Wizard to make Vista inactive and Seven active simultaneously?

Seven is designated as my C drive and Vista is D.

Many thanks.

A:Safe removal of Vista partition on a Dual Boot.

Could you give us a shot of disk management before you go any further.

It should work fine, you may have to run startup repair, do you have a W7 dvd to do it with, just in case ?
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

Startup Repair

Partition - Mark as Active

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/316324-safe-removal-vista-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi won't new partition vista after drive a boot to hard transferred PC recently i bought a new computer at a auction for they said it didn't have a operating system but turns out that its G hard vista partition won't boot after hard drive transferred to a new PC drive was broken so i just transferred my hard drive from my old computer over and it worked the old operating system was windows xp pro media center edition and while it was on there i upgraded it to windows vista home premium x but i noticed that even though this computer had a better cpu dual core that it still only had G of RAM i was just going to transfer the extra RAM cards over from my old computer but then i noticed that it only had slots where as my other computer had and there were all the same size RAM cards so i couldn't do anything and since i like vista partition won't boot after hard drive transferred to a new PC to play games the computer just can't handle it the games i play for its lack of RAM so then i decided to go back to my old computer when i moved the hard drive back i couldn't boot from the vista partition i don't know why so i thought i'd just vista partition won't boot after hard drive transferred to a new PC install a new one and and transfer the files over but i can't since there isn't enough free space and and the installation CD will only let me browse the hard drive and not delete anything and i have no devices to transfer the files to but i noticed there was a recover partition installed with a repair feature but when i tried it it asked me to type in the administrator password so i tried mine of course and it wasn't it so then i tried nothing since the default administrator account doesn't have one which also didn't work so now i'm stuck and i can't just reformat because i have important file on there i don't want to lose i have no back up of the files and i have no device to export the files to with the Installation CD So now i really need help any suggestions would be appreciated Thank you

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/290915-vista-partition-wont-boot-after-hard-drive-transferred-new-pc.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi I have a small query about this whole partitioning business I'm trying to set up a partition so I can dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu My computer came with a Dell Recovery partition and an OEM partition as well as the main C drive which are all primaries I've created a new logical drive which I've called Z with the idea being to install the Linux OS in that Ubuntu to dual-boot 7 a partition Windows up and Set chunk of the drive My first question First up I've formatted it as quot exFAT quot - is this the same as FAT Next question can I divide this 'Z' into smaller chunks with different formats or do they all have to be the same format I was hoping to be able to format a small bit of the drive into a Linux filesystem so that both OSs can be kept entirely separate from each other but leave the bulk of it as FAT so that I can see my files with both Set up a partition to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu OSs If this is not possible what would be the best way to achieve the desired result Thanks for any help McG

A:Set up a partition to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Hi McG, welcome to the forums.
I can't really answer your questions about Ubuntu, but I recommend you start by checking this thread at the Ubuntu forum. I would save it since you might come into those problems when trying to install Ubuntu in your disc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/45429-set-up-partition-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi i already have both vista and windows on ubuntu windows and How 7 i vista triple windows do boot my machine how do i get linux into it plz show me guide i am a bit scare of the grub bootloader problems with incompatibility sorry if i sound like a computer noob How do i triple boot windows vista windows 7 and ubuntu i prefer pictures on the guide but it is okay if u dont have pictures How do i triple boot windows vista windows 7 and ubuntu as long as you are discriptive sorry for grammar feeling lazy today new problem Thanks for your post but I think i sucessfully triple booted win vista and ubuntu Now I have one more problem when i try to edit the grub bootloader by typing in sudo gedit boot grub menu lst and i try to edit the grub bootloader the text file comes up blank How do I edit the bootloader there is a major problems with one How do i triple boot windows vista windows 7 and ubuntu of the entries one of the entry says windows vista loader but when u use that option it takes u to the system recovery partition

A:How do i triple boot windows vista windows 7 and ubuntu

hello Kato
Don't know if this is what your looking for, but I have ubuntu 9.10 (I think) installed inside of windows home premium.
Its called something like wubi.
here it is i just found a link. Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows
hope this helps.

Its pretty neat when you start your pc instead of going straight into windows , it gives a choice of windows or ubuntu. if you don't reply within like 10 seconds it chooses windows.

good luck

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/264410-how-do-i-triple-boot-windows-vista-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Toshiba Satelite A505 x64 based PC
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P7350 W 2.00 GHz
BIOS Version/Date INSYDE 1.40, 6/8/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Installed Physical Memory 8.00 GB

Vista is currently installed. I want to create a dual boot with Kubuntu 12.04 as the alternate OS.

I am told that the HDD must be resized to make the installation. I want to do this without having problems with immovable files in the Vista OS.

I have an approximate 500gb hard drive that I wish to resize to 250gb for each OS. There seems to be great confusion how to accomplish this. Please help me?

A:How do I shrink a Vista partition to install Kubuntu Linux as 2nd boot

This may help if you don't want to reinstall

How To Dual-Boot The Windows & Linux OS’s On Your Computer

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/296793-how-do-i-shrink-vista-partition-install-kubuntu-linux-2nd-boot.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi I have Vista Ultimate x on my machine with two hard disks of GB and GB sata Vista is installed on GB hard disk When I tried won't after table fixing boot for Vista using partition TestDisk up software to run PartitionMagic in Vista it gave an incompatibility error message So I tried to run it in compatibility mode but of no use My aim to use PartitionMagic was to format a partition on GB hard disk Vista won't boot up after using TestDisk software for fixing partition table which had the Vista won't boot up after using TestDisk software for fixing partition table following partitions on it GB GB GB GB unallocated rest all were ntfs partitions The Gb partition previously belonged to fedora but I deleted it as I had no use of it on that drive My problems started when I tried to format the GB partition vista gave an eerror message that said something like quot can not format the volume not enough space on the disk quot So I tried to extend the GB partition into GB partition This step required me to convert the GB hard disk from quot basic quot to quot dynamic quot Everything went fine and the extension was successful Then I noticed that one of my partitions on the GB hard disk in the disk management had lost its drive letter label and disk management was not listing it as a healthy partition though it showed it as a ntfs partition On right-clicking the partition a popup gave an error message stating the disk manager was not up-to-date The partition was not accessible from my computer from then onwards I restarted my computer but it was futile I then googled my problem and found on a forum that one user had solved a similar problem using TestDisk software I ran it and it correctly displayed my lost partition with correct label etc It had an option quot Write to new partition table quot or something like that and I clicked on that Next thing I knew was the Blue Screen of Death and my machine restarted but failed to boot vista I tried repairing it with new installation dvd but during the initialization steps it gave an error message saying there was a problem with my hard disk and it was faulty quot An I O error has occured quot accompanied the above error message Have I lost my hard disk Has something been messedup in the partition table Is there any way to repair vista and to mount the hard disk and access all my partitions on it again seems unlikely though Also it would be very helpful if someone point out where I screwed up

A:Vista won't boot up after using TestDisk software for fixing partition table

Hello Avenger,

Try follow these tutorials Bootmgr is missing and Repair Install For Vista
Hope it helps. Cheers...

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/243800-vista-wont-boot-up-after-using-testdisk-software-fixing-partition-table.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I won a Dell i laptop at the end of October It has Windows Vista Home Premium Dell/Vista boot issues on it I was working on it yesterday and shut down no problem After dinner I went to start it back up and it wouldn t boot First it tried to repair itself then it ran a chkdsk I used the Vista CD from Dell to do a repair but it says there s no OS found Dell/Vista boot issues to repair Now it just continually boots with Windows Boot Manager has experienced a problem File Boot BCD Status xc Info The Windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry This is my first experience with Vista has my office is an XP amp Win server shop If I have to reinstall then so be it but there is one folder my email from the desktop that i would like to salvage All other data was on an external usb drive I am downloading the iso for Ulimate Boot CD right now hoping that it can get me in long enogh to recover my folder Am I on the right track Any other suggestions I can t believe this thing is only months old nbsp

Relevancy 68.37%

I have a Dell e1505, and when I turn the computer on. The Dell screens comes up, but Windows never boots. Only a black screen with a blinking cursor. However, I can use Dell MediaDirect fine. I've had the computer a couple of years. Should I just toss it? Or what could I do to repair it?

A:Dell e1505..Vista will not boot

Just to make sure Vista like in the Title or XP Pro like under your user name?
Do you have the Windows disk that came with the PC?
Will it boot into safe mode if you tab F8 repeatedly during boot?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-e1505-vista-will-not-boot-383673.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that I am planning on attempting to dual-boot fairly soon I have never attempted to tweak my computers in any way before so I m in rather inexperienced territory here Before I OEM OEM XP Dell + Vista Dual-Boot? seriously attempt to do this and quite possibly end up way over my head I was wanting to Dell OEM Vista + OEM XP Dual-Boot? know if this was even possible to do using an OEM XP SP disk in conjunction with OEM Vista XP OS disk is from the same manufacturer both systems have the same chipset and graphics controller manufacturer Intel and also have much of the same class of BIOS version Desktop A - Laptop A as well so there shouldn t be any conflicting issues there right Also I d like to know if anyone thought I might run into potential problems if I m prompted to use the XP activation key I don t want to lose my license for the desktop it actually came with as it is still in use Would there be no problems arising from that because it s being installed again on a Dell I also do not want to loose my system s recovery partition that would allow me to Factory Restore as my Vista disk does not allow the repair install option Is there any way at all that I can keep from losing that from doing this Lastly I m intending to follow this method here for this Does anyone spot any potential problems with following that method in my particular case Or does anyone know of a better method that I can follow with more specifics on the whole OEM thing Any and all help opinions or suggestions on these matters is greatly appreciated

A:Dell OEM Vista + OEM XP Dual-Boot?

I realize this is an old post but answering anyway

the simple answer is no

I have one so I know

the 1525 uses two different bios settings one for vista and one for XP

if you attempt to use the procedure you picked out

it will load xp but when you reboot you will get two corrupted OS's

What I did was bought a sata drive and a carrier for the computer and just swap drives (remembering to reset the bios each time

Sorry but Dell is very adamant about not being able to dual boot for some reason on this machine

its a Pain but it works

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/213416-dell-oem-vista-oem-xp-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hello I haven't been using Ubuntu as much as I'd like to so about an hour I can't Partition to boot I Windows Ubuntu after formating/deleting ago I opened up Partition Magic selected my Ubuntu partition and formated it as NTFS then on reboot to preform the operation it formatted then reboot and I got GRUB error I can't boot to Windows XP Home even though when I I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition look at the Live CD through linux the parition is there I've tried putting in my XP disc and doing fixmbr but I can't boot to I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition the I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition CD it'll boot to the Linux Live CD but not XP On the live CD I've used GParted to make XP the ONLY Parition and I've even tried reinstalling Ubuntu but I can't I get an error when I try to resize the windows partition and use the freed space for Ubuntu Did I just totally nuke my harddrive Will I have to buy a new Hard Drive I feel so stupid I've used Parition Magic at work many times guess I just forgot something Can anyone help me get XP back up and running

A:I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition

Well, I've fixed it! I called up a friend and he walked me through...I still feel pretty dumb. lol

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/i-cant-boot-to-windows-after-formating-deleting-ubuntu-partition-283895.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on my Windows 10 laptop,  I am able to boot into Ubuntu and it runs normally, but if I try boot into windows I get this message: selected boot device failed, press any key to reboot the system.
I think I messed up during the partition process, I had already installed Ubuntu but wanted a fresh install. During the install process I just selected the option to install over my current Ubuntu installation and didn't manually set any partition settings.
Please advise!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19681870
Relevancy 67.94%

Following very carefully I thought wiping to after Windows Can't Ubuntu partition! Solved: boot an old thread on unloading Ubuntu to revert to Win XP Pro I deleted the Ubuntu partition with Easeus Partition Mastri then resized my XP partition to use the extra space Then intended to boot from my Win XP CD to run fixmbr I thought from the old thread that that would fix the Master Boot Record and that I would then be up and running in Windows again But my computer now won t boot from the XP CD I get consecutive messages GRUB Loading stage GRUB loading please wait Error I can still boot from the Easeus Partition Master which shows my disk like this Size Used Unused Status FAT Mb M Mb None Primary NTFS Gb Gb Gb Active Primary Unallocated Gb Bytes Gb None Logical FAT Gb Gb Mb None Primary Unallocated Mb Bytes Mb None Logical I m right out of my depth here and would be really really grateful for some Solved: Can't boot to Windows after wiping Ubuntu partition! help What can I do now Dell Dimension Ghz Gb RAM Windows XP Pro SP nbsp

A:Solved: Can't boot to Windows after wiping Ubuntu partition!

Clean your XP CD with alcohol, rubbing from the center to the outside. Let it dry and try booting again. If no joy, borrow an XP CD from a friend if possible. If the easeus CD boots, the XP should. If must be dirty or scratched.

Another way, use the XP setup floppy set from MS to boot to the RC.

Yet another way, Get a Quick Boot CD. It will substitute for your HD MBR and boot files and allow booting Windows.

http://webpages.charter.net/surferdude/SDhome1.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-boot-to-windows-after-wiping-ubuntu-partition.941625/
Relevancy 67.94%

Windows 7 seems to be located in my /dev/sda1 partition. However, ever since I installed Ubuntu (not using wubi) my fully encrypted HDD/partition will not prompt me with the password but instead boots straight to ubuntu. Ubuntu does not even recognize my windows partition. More interestingly, I did a boot repair and these are the results that show:

Ubuntu Pastebin

When I use my windows 7 DVD to repair my system it doesn't even show windows 7 is installed. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Do I need to use my encryption rescue disk? I have been trying everything and have not had much success. Thanks!

A:Encrypted Windows 7 partition will not boot after installing Ubuntu.

What encryption did you use? It sounds like GRUB overwrote the encrypted Windows MBR??? Im not sure it can be recovered......I would normally suggest this:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

But the encryption is the unknown here.......you might have to take some risks and experiment.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/293726-encrypted-windows-7-partition-will-not-boot-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi I am trying to create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP So far Windows NTFS an for or Boot Disk FAT Partition XP in i have formatted my floppy disk but im stuck on the next step Copy the Ntldr and the Ntdetect com files from the I folder on the Windows XP Setup CD-ROM Windows XP Setup floppy disk or from a computer that is Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP running the same version of Windows XP as the computer that you want to access with the boot floppy I have found the Ntldr file and the Ntdetect com file but when i have copied them where do i paste them What do i do with them It then says Create a Boot ini file or copy one from a computer that is running Windows XP and then modify it to match the computer that you are Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP trying to access The following example works for a single-partition IDE drive with Windows XP installed in the Windows folder but the exact value in the operating systems section depends on the configuration of the Windows XP computer that you are trying to access I have found the Boot ini file on this windows XP computer what do i do with this file once I have found it Can anybody break this down so that i can understand it alot more please These are the steps I am trying to follow Copy the Ntldr and the Ntdetect com files from the I folder on the Windows XP Setup CD-ROM Windows XP Setup floppy disk or from a computer that is running the same version of Windows XP as the computer that you want to access with the boot floppy Create a Boot ini file or copy one from a computer that is running Windows XP and then modify it to match the computer that you are trying to access The following example works for a single-partition IDE drive with Windows XP installed in the Windows folder but the exact value in the operating systems section depends on the configuration of the Windows XP computer that you are trying to access boot loader timeout Default multi disk rdisk partition windows operating systems multi disk rdisk partition windows quot Windows XP quot If your computer boots from a SCSI hard drive you may need to replace the multi entry with scsi If you are using scsi x in the Boot ini file copy the correct device driver for the SCSI controller in use on the computer to the root of the Setup disk and then rename it Ntbootdd sys Change the disk number to represent the SCSI-ID of the hard drive you want to boot to If you are using multi x in the Boot ini file you do not need to do this Start your computer by using the floppy disk and then log on to Windows XP nbsp

Relevancy 67.94%

Hi!

First of all, sorry for my english! Then ...

I'm not able to expand a disk partition joining it to a new disk under Vista HOME PREMIUM.

environment:

disk 0 : sata, ~400 gb, volume C, volume D

disk 1 : pata, ~300 gb EMPTY

disk 2 : pata, ~120 gb, volume E

- disk 0, 1, 2 are all basic disks
- C is a primary, boot/system partition and holds pagefile, hibernate, etc.etc.
- both D and E are primary partition
- C, D, E are ntfs created by vista

My problem is that :

I'm able to extend volume E using empty space on disk 1 BUT

I'm NOT able to extend volume D using empty space on disk 1 (the option "extend" is grayed out)

So it seems to be possible to join a partition to unallocated space belonging to another physical disk.

I wonder why I can join E: to disk 1 but I can't join D: to disk 1.

Many thanks to everybody.

Luca.

A:Vista Home Premium - Unable To Extend A Non System/boot Partition

I presume that disk C: is your boot volume - as such you cannot extend it. Here's a link that describes this: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServe...3.mspx?mfr=true

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/86565/vista-home-premium-unable-to-extend-a-non-systemboot-partition/
Relevancy 67.51%

CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core Quad Q MHz x dual - XP) (vista boot XPS Dell problem Motherboard Name i Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce i SLI Oh man I have just had one of those weekend you know the sort - just as you think your a great computer buff something happens to make you realise how c you are Please please PLEASE HELP I have found various information Dell XPS dual boot problem (vista - XP) about installing XP on a Vista so you end up with dual boot but for myself this has proved to be a minefield I need some questions answered if Dell XPS dual boot problem (vista - XP) I can and perhaps some pointers on what Im doing wrong Ok so I have shrunk gb for the XP install and formatted the partition When I boot from XP disk I get the 'Blue screen of death' signifying a hardware failure clash uh So I guess drivers and use Nlite to put into the XP instal disk the Nvidia Nforce drivers for bit XP This worked and the XP install seemed ok until I came to the installation of the Dell XPS dual boot problem (vista - XP) rest of the drivers The graphics driver from Nvidia doesn't work It's froze the computer Blue screen of death and eventually I had to pull it out again So this is where I'm at now Do I have to use x XP or is bit ok Where do I get the drivers from this is prolly the most important as the ones I'm using from Dell and Nvidia are not having it unless Im using the wrong ones I'm sure this is a driver issue so if someone can help please Computer Computer Type ACPI x -based PC Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium OS Service Pack TRIAL VERSION Internet Explorer DirectX DirectX Computer Name COLIN-PC User Name Colin Logon Domain TRIAL VERSION Date Time - - Motherboard CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core Quad Q MHz x Motherboard Name Unknown Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce i SLI System Memory TRIAL VERSION DIMM Hynix HYMP U CP -S MB DDR - DDR SDRAM - - - MHz - - - MHz - - - MHz DIMM Samsung M T RZS-CF TRIAL VERSION DIMM Samsung M T RZS-CF TRIAL VERSION DIMM Hynix HYMP U CP -S TRIAL VERSION BIOS Type Award Display Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GT MB Monitor Generic PnP Monitor NoDB H KY Multimedia Audio Adapter Creative CA K X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity Audio Processor Storage IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller Storage Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Storage Controller NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller Storage Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller Storage Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller Disk Drive DELL USB HS-CF Card USB Device Disk Drive DELL USB HS-MS Card USB Device Disk Drive DELL USB HS-SD Card USB Device Disk Drive DELL USB HS-xD SM USB Device Disk Drive SAMSUNG HD LJ SCSI Disk Device GB RPM SATA-II Disk Drive WDC WD AAKS- A B SCSI Disk Device GB Optical Drive PLDS DVD -RW DH- A S SCSI CdRom Device SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dell-xps-dual-boot-problem-vista-xp-283850.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi My sister Solved: on up boot laptop Vista won't Dell knowing I ve successfully Solved: Vista won't boot up on Dell laptop sought help on Techguy before has gone on holiday and left me with her laptop which is refusing to boot up Here is what I ve witnessed so far Boot up fails and presents very quickly a BSOD with the message STOP c a Fatal System Error The initial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of x xc x c The system has been shut down I only managed to capture this message by rebooting the laptop pressing F and disabling automatic restart Next boot run Startup Repair which returns with the message Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically View problem details gives me the following Problem signature Problem Event Name StartupRepairV Problem Signature ManualRepair Problem Signature Problem Signature Problem Signature Problem Signature CorruptVolume Problem Signature NoRootCause Problem Signature Problem Signature Problem Signature WrpRepair Problem Signature OS Version Locale ID Where do I go from here The terms ManualRepair and CorruptVolume would seem like something I should worry about Can anyone offer me any tips please Do these problem details mean anything to anyone Here s hoping for another Techguy success DD nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop with a Vista home premium operating system Some time ago Vista 531 Dell Inspiron won't boot 32 desktop the CD drive stopped working even though all the diagnostics say it is functioning properly Recently after a normal shutdown the computer will not complete a reboot It will turn on go through the Dell logo screen and Windows will begin loading It will proceed through the quot Please wait quot screen Dell Inspiron 531 desktop won't boot Vista 32 and the quot Welcome quot screen and then goes to a black screen with the white cursor arrow I can move the arrow freely with the mouse but nothing else will happen Eventually it goes to the screen saver and if you move the mouse it will go to the sign-in screen The computer will reboot in quot Safe mode quot Diagnostics in Safe Mode say that there were errors in the Drive that were supposedly fixed but it still will not restart I can't reboot with the installation disks because it won't recognize the CD drive Any thoughts or help Dell Inspiron 531 desktop won't boot Vista 32 will be greatly appreciated

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-inspiron-531-desktop-wont-boot-vista-32-a-1109633.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello,
i have a Packard Bell Dot S2 Netbook. When i bought it, i made 2 partitions for Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Then I wanted to remove Ubuntu, so i deleted his partition. Now, when i restart, i read only "Grub rescue >".
I read in this forum that i should reinstall Windows 7 using the CD, but my netbook can't read CDs!
I can use another pc with Windows 7....can i use it to fix the problem?
Thanks

A:Removing Ubuntu partition from Netbook, Windows 7 doesn't boot.

Welcome to Seven Forums.

You can create a w7 installer on a USB flash drive and reinstall with that. For how see here: Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool

Download the iso file for your w7 version from here, Dell Community Sometime the iso will not work the first time and requires a re-download.

Here is a tutorial with all the above info. USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/274876-removing-ubuntu-partition-netbook-windows-7-doesnt-boot.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi.

I use EASEUS Partition Master 8.0.1 Home Edition on windows 7 sp1.

I have resized several times my different partions with no trouble.

But now i had increased one of my drives and now i can t acces and open it because of this error :

http://up.iranblog.com/images/q3butas4t6yrog2ae94.png

i can t format it because of the data in it and with any possible access to the drive, i have not enough space on my hard drive to copy data to another drive.

so, how can i with out formatting it, resolve the problem ?

thanks.

A:Alert to format the resized partition

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html
A Preferred Method of Uploading/Posting Screen Shots

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/165365-alert-format-resized-partition.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I resized my c and d drives to allocate more space to the c drive When it finished and rebooted I was unable to use most of my programs They would open only after giving me various error msg's All of which stated to run chkdsk Powers and resized c: that's 7 it. Windows partition. up I tried to ru chkdsk but it didn't work or rather would not run I decided to reboot my latop and have it run chkdsk upon boot up When it restarted I saw the ASUS screen then the screen with the cursor in the top left and then a black screen I have tried rebooting and pressing the F F F and F keys None of which take me to the boot menu or anywhere for that matter I have created the recovery on a USB But i have no way of getting my laptop to boot from the USB I can also make a recovery cd but still have no way of making the laptop boot from Windows 7 resized c: partition. Powers up and that's it. the disk drive Any help Thoughts Thanks

A:Windows 7 resized c: partition. Powers up and that's it.

Try hitting the delete key, repeatedly after a reboot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/213460-windows-7-resized-c-partition-powers-up-thats.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Okay so yeah I've got a little issue I'm having trouble booting into any OS I've got Vista W and Ubuntu installed and I can't boot into any of them I can get the Grub menu up the Windows bootloader menu up but it won't boot into any of them When I try to boot into Ubuntu the orange bar under the Ubuntu logo goes back and forth and then it stops and goes to some strange screen saying it's doing error checking etc It does this forever and doesn't do anything When I try to boot into Windows Vista it just sits on the Windows loading screen with quot copy Microsoft Corporation quot at the bottom and the green bar going across the screen Does that forever then the screen goes into Windows or Ubuntu Windows Can't boot Vista, 7 blank Does nothing more When I try to boot into Windows it first asks me to do the Windows boot repair thingy so I do that It sits there does that forever doesn't do anything When I bypass the boot repair and go directly to boot it does the Can't boot into Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Ubuntu exact same thing as Vista Right now I can only boot into the Ubuntu Live CD For a time I could access my NTFS partitions Can't boot into Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Ubuntu on the Live CD but now it says it can't mount them due to an unclean shut down I can access my Ubuntu partition though What would be the problem How can I fix it Seems to be strange that all of the operating Can't boot into Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Ubuntu systems decide to just die at once it worked one minute I go to work come back can't boot '

A:Can't boot into Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Ubuntu

How do you boot? Does the GRUB come first, then the Windows stuff launches from it? If so, then the Linux forums are probably a better place to start with this. Here's a link to them: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/191597/cant-boot-into-windows-vista-windows-7-or-ubuntu/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi,
I am having Vista Home Edition on My Dell Inspiron E1505
Hard Disk Size: 80GB
C:\ - 63GB Vista on It
D:\ -10GB Recovery Drive(5GB used for Recovery files, 5GB Free space)
I have gone thru several Threads n info on the net.
Let me explain my intention clearly.
My idea is to club the 5GB free space from D: to C: drive and then split the C: drive into two partitions. first partition for VISTA n second one for XP (Say around 15GB)
Now is it possible to do in the way i think??
if so, will the recovery drive work later??
and what about the Media Direct??
can some one tell me clearly how to accomplish my goal with out losing all the present information n settings on my vista.
Thanq,
Alex

A:Dual Boot With Vista n XP On Dell E1505-Help Needed

1 - Nice laptop - I've always wanted to get Dell

2 - If I were you, I would reinstall everything because starting from scratch is the best for me. Do you have a Vista CD? The way I would have done it would be this: I'll get myself DVD-RWs - from 2x (the cheapest ones) and back up all the files that I don't want to lose. Then reinstall XP and when doing the partitions consider the future installation of Vista. Installing Vista once you have XP going is easy. There is a topic on "Steps on how to dualboot XP and Vista". If you can't find them, let me know and I'll post them here for you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-with-vista-n-xp-on-dell-e1505-help-needed.662975/
Relevancy 66.65%

I am having the same issue I just bought this laptop from somebody who had completely erased the laptop before selling to me telling me I had to reinstall windows vista onto it I 1545 INSPIRON DELL VISTA WINDOWS BOOT tried putting disc in and as the laptop Inspiron reboots it loads to DeLL screen and option for setup and boot pressing f comes up and when selected options come up where I select CD DVD then the entire DELL screen comes back loading over and over again loads goes black like its trying to boot white blinker comes up at top right then DELL INSPIRON 1545 WINDOWS VISTA BOOT just reloads over and over again I have run a diagnostic and everything has passed including extended diagnostic What do I do I just purchased this laptop and it is not working Please help if you could If directly emailing me will make this easier please feel free to lt ADMIN NOTE Email id removed per privacy policy gt Thank you -Chelana Vandusen

A:DELL INSPIRON 1545 WINDOWS VISTA BOOT

Hi,
Thank you for writing to us!
We would suggest you to boot into BIOS and check the Boot options.:

Start the computer 
Choose to enter BIOS setup. ...
Use the arrow keys to select the BOOT tab. ...
To give a CD or DVD drive boot sequence priority over the hard drive, move it to the first position in the list.

Let us know if this works.
Kindly private message the service tag and email address.
Thanks
Robin

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19982844
Relevancy 66.65%

I am thinking about getting a Dell Vostro laptop with Vista Home Premium installed However I must be able to dual boot Win XP I know that the model supports XP as it is an option on purchase I have my own copy of Win XP Home with SP that I boot 1500 Vostro Vista/XP on Dell Dual can install From what I can gather Dell DOES ship a true reinstall DVD for Vista yes Since Windows likes to have the oldest version installed first on a dual boot configuration then I would need to wipe the Dual boot Vista/XP on Dell Vostro 1500 HD and break down any preexisting partitions What parititions exist from the factory I would imagine there is a restore partiton should I leave it alone Once the HD is wiped then I would need to install XP but I have learned that since XP does not have SATA drivers would need to either slipstream them into an XP CD I have never done this or could a person use an external USB floppy drive to load the SATA drivers After this hurdle it should be a breeze yes Create an XP partition install into that partition pop in the Vista DVD boot and let it do its thing in the remaining space Also does this monkeying around affect that MediaDirect feature Is it a partition that needs to stay where it is I just want to know what I would be looking at for difficulty before I make my decision Are there any CLEAR step by step instructions out there that anyone knows about Thanks PK nbsp

Relevancy 66.65%

I am thinking about getting a Dell Vostro laptop with Vista Home Premium installed However I must be able to dual boot Win XP I know that the model supports XP as it is an option on purchase I have my own copy of Win XP Home with SP that I can install From what I can gather Dell DOES ship a true reinstall DVD for Vista yes Since Windows likes to have the oldest version installed first on a dual boot configuration then I would need to wipe the HD and break down any preexisting partitions What parititions exist from the factory I would imagine there is a restore Dual 1500 boot Vostro Dell on Vista/XP partiton Dual boot Vista/XP on Dell Vostro 1500 should I leave it alone Once the HD is wiped Dual boot Vista/XP on Dell Vostro 1500 then I would need to install XP but I have learned that since XP does not have SATA drivers would need to either slipstream them into an XP CD I have never done this or could a person use an external USB floppy drive to load the SATA drivers After this hurdle it should be a breeze yes Create an XP partition install into that partition pop in the Vista DVD boot and let it do its thing in the remaining space Also does this monkeying around affect that MediaDirect feature Is it a partition that needs to stay where it is I just want to know what I would be looking at for difficulty before I make my decision Are there any CLEAR step by step instructions out there that anyone knows about Thanks PK

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-boot-vista-xp-on-dell-vostro-1500-a-252929.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello I am working on a friend's Dell Inspiron with Vista Basic I don't know any other specs right off He Vista 1750 Boot Inspiron Won't Dell [SOLVED] brought it to me because it wouldn't boot and startup repair couldn't fix it He said He just renewed his McAfee Normal Safe Mode Safe Mode with Net Safe Mode with Command Last Known Good Configuration and Disable Driver Signature Enforcement all fail with STOP x [SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 1750 Vista Won't Boot B before rebooting safe mode BSOD's right after CI DLL I tried replacing it with a copy from the repair disc but it [SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 1750 Vista Won't Boot didn't help I ran Windows Defender Offline it found some adware but thats it Startup Repair Fails with quot BadDriver quot System Restore Failed with quot Catastrophic Failure quot for all points I tried sfc scannow wont run something about a pending repair sfc scannow offbootdir c offwindir c windows found corrupt files but couldn't fix them I have tried changing between ATA and AHCI All Dell Diagnostics Passed I only have access to a repair disc and I don't know what his backup habits are so clean Install is a last resort [SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 1750 Vista Won't Boot Any Idea What I Should try Next Thanks -Brad

A:[SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 1750 Vista Won't Boot

Hello Shadow4.2,

Your error, INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, can be caused by many things.

I suggest running Memtest86+ for at least one pass, then run the HDD manufacturer's drive diagnostic software.

I suggest downloading the UBCD. If you do PC repair on a regular basis, it will come in handy as it contains most HDD diagnostics, Multiple memory diagnostics and other tools...

You can download the latest .iso from the link in my signature.

I wouldn't put too much stake in the Dell Diagnostics. It only runs a cursory memory test and a S.M.A.R.T. HDD self test... A full media scan is recommended at this point.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-dell-inspiron-1750-vista-wont-boot-666574.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi everyone:

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Vista. Days ago I remember downloading something that made my laptop reboot. Upon rebooting, I still can't get past the bios screen. (Actually I do, but only to a black screen with a blinking cursor.) I've pressed F12 to change the boot order to CD Drive. Ive inserted a vista bootable disk in and heard it spinning and working. Seconds later, I get an error along the lines of, "Not a bootable disk, press X to retry". I've tried the test that is available in the F12 setup, but no errors were detected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dala

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-vista-wont-boot-past-bios-screen.150386/
Relevancy 66.65%

Greetings, I own a Dell T5550 Vista laptop. The laptop will not boot up. It appears to be in a loop and keep saying "Configuring Stage 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3. When it gets to stage 3 of 3, it says 100% complete and nothing happens. If I manually try to shut it off, it says "Shutting down" ...then I hold down the button and it shuts off. When I turn I turn it back on, the same thing happens........it continues the same thing, 1 of 3, 2 of 3 and 3 of 3.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks Bruce

A:Dell Vista T5550 Laptop won't boot - in loop

hi and welcome to the forum try using your install or recovery disc to run a repair
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial148.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-vista-t5550-laptop-wont-boot-in-loop-412762.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello!

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop with Vista Basic.

1. Push the power button.
2. I see the Bios screen.
3. Then black/blank screen.

4. I insert a flash drive that has Sardu and RepairDiscWindows 7 Bit (Grub) ISO.
5. Restart.
6. Window is loading files...
7. Microsoft Corporation progress bar appears then disappears.
8. Black screen with white arrow cursor in the center of it.

Any help appreciated getting this working!

Thanks!

Leaning

A:Dell Inspiron 1545 Vista Basic won't boot!

Update:
I ran BootMed and now have the following error when the computer boots up:

Windows Boot Manager:
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have the disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

When I hit enter, it just restarts my laptop and brings me to the same screen. My laptop did not come with a installation disc.

Any ideas?

Leaning

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/473259/dell-inspiron-1545-vista-basic-wont-boot/