Windows Support Forum

New Dell with Vista OS, i want XP on it also..?

Q: New Dell with Vista OS, i want XP on it also..?

Hello Tech members
I'm getting a new Dell laptop computer, it'll have Vista home premium installed as standard when it arrives.

I've also got my existing 'full version' WinXP professional, which i'd also like to use on the new laptop also, so......

...whats the best and easiest way to have it dual boot, or, is there software out there which can create the nescessary patition, help to install my XPpro, and then set the computer up to dual boot all automatically.

...or..do i have to do it the long-winded way.i.e split the hardrive (360gig) into two partitions ('C at 240gig and 'E' at 120gig),install XPpro on 'E', and set up a boot menu like in the days when i upgarded a Win 98 computer to Win2000pro.

Whats the easiest?, if anyone knows of a suitable software solution to do the job, it would really help.

kind regards

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: New Dell with Vista OS, i want XP on it also..?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 44.29%

The short version of my non-Dell Vista Solved: of Dell-provided computer? install version I on Can a a OEM question is exactly what Solved: Can I install a Dell-provided OEM version of Vista on a non-Dell computer? the topic says-- Can I install a Dell-provided OEM version of Vista on a non-Dell computer But here s the wordier version giving context if anyone s interested About months ago I guess I got a Dell Vostro that came with Windows Vista Home Basic However I had no interest in Vista because I already had a Windows machine and the very first thing I did was install Ubuntu on it I still have the Vista reinstall disk though which Solved: Can I install a Dell-provided OEM version of Vista on a non-Dell computer? to my memory hasn t been used Now I m planning on getting a barebones system and upgrading what I see fit For the time being I m going to use the Windows RC but I d like to get the uber-great upgrade deal that they re having to pre-order either the Business or Home Premium version upgrade So to do that I d need an XP installation or a Vista installation Is there any reason legal or software-related that I wouldn t be able to install Vista using that disk that came with the Vostro I heard somewhere that sometimes if you try it ll say something like quot This is not a Dell computer you evil evil person quot and refuse to install so I wanted to make sure before I pre-ordered the upgrade I don t want to get the upgrade and have nothing to upgrade of course nbsp

A:Solved: Can I install a Dell-provided OEM version of Vista on a non-Dell computer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-i-install-a-dell-provided-oem-version-of-vista-on-a-non-dell-computer.838790/
Relevancy 41.71%

running a Windows Vista network no problems with wirless computers running Windows XP and no problems printing remotely using the desktop running Vista new Dell laptop is running Vista and trying to add a printer it doesn t see any of the printers At first it didn t show the wired desktop on the laptop under the network On the wired desktop under network It showed the laptop as a music sign and not a computer icon We deleted the workgroup name and retyped it and changed Vista doesn't Vista laptop Dell wired see printers Wireless Desktop it to a private computer have disabled Wireless Dell laptop Vista doesn't see wired Desktop Vista printers both firewalls The laptop is running Trend Internet Securioty It then found the wired desktop on the laptop But it still doesn t see any of the printers that are connected to the wired desktop Tried to find the printers by typing in under the run command It said it couldn t recognize the wired DNS address That is the ipconfig address from cmd and then ipconfig from the wired Dell laptop What do we need to do to have the laptop see the printers nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-dell-laptop-vista-doesnt-see-wired-desktop-vista-printers.786803/
Relevancy 41.71%

We got a new Dell machine with the Vista preinstalled. Employee wanted Ubuntu (how do ya blame him?) so he resized partitions and installed Ubuntu, but now Vista won't boot.

What can we do to get Vista to be happy again?

This howto:
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/about78184.html#dualboot
says:
"DO NOT resize the Vista partition during the installation of the Linux distribution! Due to the change in NTFS versions, no Linux partitioning program, nor standard Windows partitioning programs, can properly alter the partition that Vista is installed to."
But we're too late for that...

A:Dell with Vista, resized NTFS partition for Ubuntu, now cannot boot Vista

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-with-vista-resized-ntfs-partition-for-ubuntu-now-cannot-boot-vista.551657/
Relevancy 40.42%

Loaded dell disc with vista and don't like it. How do I
get back to my vaio vista operating system? It's still in
the laptop memory as a file but I can't figure out how to load it, I had back up on my old windows, however the new installation don't find any restore points. can any one help me?

A:dell vista loaded on top of vaio vista

The Dell DVD probably overwrote your VAIO recovery partition. You can try to invoke it - usually with F10 key during boot-up. If not you will need replacement recovery DVDs from Sony. HP charges about USD $25.

http://esupport.sony.com/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-vista-loaded-on-top-of-vaio-vista-376045.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I just installed a new HP computer with Vista. The computer doesn't seem to recognize the HP720 Ink Jet printer which is attached via a USB port. I downloaded the only driver I could find (xp), but when I try to install the printer, it takes forever. Then when it finally finishes, it can't find the printer. Any suggestions?

A:Vista and a Dell 720 Ink-Jet

I just checked and vista has native drivers for that printer. Are you sure your usb is working ok ie no yellow marks in device manager?

Next as I recall hp printers from that era use either LPT1 or usb. Have you tried connecting via a printer cable?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-and-a-dell-720-ink-jet.576273/
Relevancy 36.98%

I have a Dell Vista machine that I am trying to reload the operating system on to. Currently the PC will not boot. I have the restore disks and want to restore Vista but the PC will not read the DVD drive. How can I get the PC to read the DVD drive?
Thanks for your help.

A:Dell Vista

Hi Tweak2 and Welcome to TSF,

Do you see the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD..." message during startup or not?
If it's shown but not loaded properly, make sure the disc is fine by trying it in another machine.

If you don't see that message you need to access BIOS to change the Boot Priority, to set the machine to boot from CD/DVD first.

To do so, press "DEL" during startup until you get into BIOS. Look for "Boot priority" / "Boot order" settings, and set CD/DVD as 1st boot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-vista-589565.html
Relevancy 36.98%

Hi Simono here A friend has allowed me to take there PC on-it Dell, Vista with home with me because they can not start-it anymore This is what I'm seeing After hooking everything up I turned it on The machine powers-up all fans running and sits there There is no sounds of cycling or of any normal sounds you usually hear from a start-up I've worked on this same computer about months ago so Dell, with Vista on-it I remember what it does I restarted is several times to try and catch the screen display for booting in safe mode but there's not even a flicker on the screen it remains solid black Sense the OS is Vista I put in my recovery disk that came with my computer hoping this would trigger a response I tried restarting the pc several time with the disk in but the screen remains black again not even a flicker Is there a way to reset the system besides unplugging it or something else I can try Thanks Simono

A:Dell, with Vista on-it

Hello,

I am not very good at this sort of thing, you need to wait for somebody else, but I can add a few things.

Does it make any funny noises, in particular, anything that could pass for a deliberate bleep?

What is the full model of this PC, laptop or desktop?

Thanks!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/282443-dell-vista.html
Relevancy 36.55%

I recently bought a Dell laptop for school Admittedly I am a newb and might have messed the pc up further than it already was BUT I Problems Vista/dell have contacted Dell multiple times about my issues and they finally threw up their hands and told me I would have to redo the entire system I don't really have the time to do this and was wondering if anyone else would have suggestions to help me fix my pc Vista/dell Problems I am having the following problems Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player are both Vista/dell Problems unable to play music movies video either online on disk or from the hard drive without skipping I am fairly sure the files on my hard drive are not corrupted because I used a pocket drive to move some to a friends pc to check if they still skipped and they did not Videos skip when I try to play them off of websites i e youtube Recently my pc will go wacko on me and continue to open internet windows until i spam the task manager quot end program quot button it got to about windows once when I left the room and came back I have run spyware checkers virus scans and they haven't found anything Also the pc tends to run very slow which makes little sense to me as I just bought it a month and a half ago I am running an XPS M Windows Vista Home Premium Intel Core Duo CPU T GHz GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce M GT Any help on this would be much appreciated Even if it is just telling me re programming is necessary and maybe how to do it lol

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/172519/vistadell-problems/
Relevancy 36.55%

My son loaded windows vista on my acer laptop via a dell windows cd now i now i cant see any of my network connections i want to factory restore my pc i normaly do so using alt f10 BUT this is not working please help thanks

Relevancy 36.55%

I have a Dell XPS 410. I have never reformatted an OEM-type machine like a Dell before. how does the "restore" partition on the hard drive factor in? Would I be best served to simply wipe the whole drive and go from CD? OR does Dell typically limit one's abilities in this regard? I'm not sure what all was actually included on the disc, and I don't want to have to end up buying a full retail version of Vista if I mess it up somehow.

ps, I have an external hard drive on which I have downloaded the latest Video drivers and such, if this will help me at all....

A:reformatting a Dell Xps with Vista

no this is a new dell laptop and came with windows vista.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/reformatting-a-dell-xps-with-vista-305072.html
Relevancy 36.55%

Ok a Vista on Need re-installing help Dell this will be a long post Need help re-installing Vista on a Dell here it goes I had some beast malware on my laptop a Dell Studio XPS M so I went ahead and re-installed the OS However I messed it up So I instert the Dell Windows Vista Ultimate -bit SP disk and the dell symbol comes up and says loading so I press F and the boot menu comes up and I select right from CD DVD Then it says press any key to enter so I do I believe I got it right up till now I then Formated both of the drives C and D when the two options came up I proceeded to click on the one I thought was right and clicked next So it does its stuff and I enter my password etc I notice however when I get to the desktop my D drive has GB and my C has only GB So I re-try installing it and pick the other option I didnt format it this time This worked out a little better the C had GB and the D had the right amount GB or something I noticed that both said Local Disk C however and there was no recovery So I am worried but proceed to try and install the Dell Drives and whatnot but am perplexed because I can't figure out which to install and if I was doing it correctly THEN I restart the comp and I low and behold there are TWO choices both saying Windows Vista One was the OS with the D drive of GB and the other was the more normal one So I go ahead and try to reinstall it again and Format the two drives but being and idiot I picked the D drive as my main slot again so it has GB At this point I want to cry I have only this one installed on my computer at the minute and will wait for advice before I proceed further I know Dell said it would be an dollar charge for them to help me and my Uni's Tech Department said it would be like dollars I refuse to pay that much however and will try to do it myself Could someone give me explicit instructions on how I should reinstall the OS the correct way and on how I should install the Dell Drivers Please dont post that link to the site telling you how to install windows vista -- its so confusing Thanks in advance

A:Need help re-installing Vista on a Dell

hello
don't cry...lol it's only a machine! so you have vista on it?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/294827/need-help-re-installing-vista-on-a-dell/
Relevancy 36.55%

Please help me! I just recently bought a new Dell desktop for our business and would l like to run 2 OS on it. I was able to partition the hard drive but no matter what I do I can't get XP Professional to install on the new partition. Anyone know of any secrets about working around Dell's/"I don't want to run any other OS besides Vista?"

Rencloud9

A:Vista Dell Mayhem

Is there an OS currently installed on the machine? Would that be Vista? Without any other OS installed yet... does the machine boot up well to Vista (assuming it is Vista)?

May be this can help you:
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_v...step_guide.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-dell-mayhem-350739.html
Relevancy 36.55%

I bought a Dell Desktop last summer (e6600, 2gb ram, 250gb hd) and i am have issues installing xp onto the hardrive. I know how to set the settings so it boots from disk that is not the problem. It goes to the blue screen and loads the necessary files and then says, "Loading Windows" and then a new screen pops up saying my computer has shut down to prevent damage to the computer. This has happened with about 3 different copies of windows XP I own. Please give me some information to fix this issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-xp-on-dell-vista-hd.92772/
Relevancy 36.55%

Using HP SimpleSave, I backed up my files on a Windows XP computer. I'm now looking to restore them on the Dell Vista desk top. For some reason, I don't seem to be able to do that even though the program is downloaded (I think.)

As far as I remember, on the XP all I did was plug it in. Am I wrong? Should I have a disk hiding around someplace, or is it a program I need to download from HP? (I haven't been able to see one on line.)

As it is holding all my files and photos from the old computer, I'm anxious not to lose anything. Are you able to help?

Thanks.

Relevancy 36.55%

In the last 2 weeks I have installed over 10 Dell laptops with Vista Home basic/Home premium. I have encountered these 2 specific problems on most of them!.

1 - They all had a 60 day trial of Office 2007. Having entered the License Key and registered the product everytime I open an Office application from the Start Menu it trys to reinstall again. If I use the Dell Dock it does not happen.

2 - On most occasions when trying to open the control panel it does not respond forcing Windows Explorer to restart.

I have not had these problems on other makes.

Has anybody else come accross these problems?

A:Dell Laptops and Vista

Does registering the product = Office validation with Microsoft Genuine Advantage?

www.microsoft.com/genuine

Do the events preceding the Windows Explorer restart process include the fading white background, small blue circle spinning and "Not Responding..."? If so look at 3rd party firewall/ a-v products. Usually the firewall is the cause.

All these symptoms - but only on Dell products?

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-laptops-and-vista-407947.html
Relevancy 36.55%

Have a Dell Inspiron 5305. Today it wouldn't boot to Vista. It goes to the Dell screen but that's it. I can't get to the Boot menu because it than takes me to a screen that says ' Diskette drive 0 seek failure F1 to continue (than takes me to a black screen with a small line flashing in upper left corner) or F2 to go to set up menu. I've tried to put the Vista reinstallation CD in but it won't run. A few months back I had a similar problem due to a virus but was able to use the CD to fix it. Any ideas/advice?

A:Dell not booting to Vista

can you get into the bios? if so is your HDD listed or no? and you can from there change your boot order so you can boot from the CD/DVD first.

also check all your cables to see if one did not just come loose.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/232420-dell-not-booting-vista.html
Relevancy 36.55%

Hi to All
I'm trying to solve a problem with my printer and new computer. Yes, I have spent two days with tech-help. No results. I have been able to download and install the software patch I found on the Dell sight. I can not boot up when the printer is plugged in. When I plug it in after booting, the machine does not recognize it as a printer. I does find the driver for the 'unknown device'. Shall I just return my computer? I am about to that stage.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-vs-dell-photo-964-a-143240.html
Relevancy 36.55%

Got a already pc dell? New vista problems new pc delivered from dell tried to set it up got most of the way then monitor went blank scratched my head for mins cant remember if i switched New pc problems already vista dell? it off with the button or pulled plug rang up dell guy said it was probably me pulling the plug out to early during installation so tried to install again from the partition that has factory reset image this had the same result so now its only an hour old and he talks me through installing the os again with discs provided which in its self is a pain as it writes over the hard disc so i lose the quick recovery function from partition which was one of the features that appealed to me when buying and so we added the drivers etc switched the machine off to reboot and everyting looked at is it was going to work entered my password then the screen went blank the technician had put the phone down seconds earler so he New pc problems already vista dell? doesnt know yet but i will tell hime tomorrow as he said he would ring to check up on it Ive looked on the net and this seems to be a massive problem with people installing vista and there monitors going blank it seems to me as if dell are going to say its my fault for messing up the install but i dont think i have Have i got a leg to stand on it hasnt even been connected to the net yet as we didnt get that far even if its a vista problem i think dell should sort it out as it hadnt even got connected to the net and should be built to function could anyone tell me what i should do im very frustated and didnt expect to waste in the space of a day and feel i shouldnt have to pay for it to be sent to dell to be sorted out and they might not even offer to do that i should add this problem isnt common to dell it seems to effect lots of different computers nbsp

A:New pc problems already vista dell?

Since it is under warranty, I think you should tell Dell that they need to clean up the problem and give you a working computer (even if it means sending out an on-site technician) very soon or you will be returning it and completely cancelling your order.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-pc-problems-already-vista-dell.841837/
Relevancy 36.55%

Haya, i put my HD into my bro Vista Dell PC cus my PC flipped n i wanted to use his to scan my HD. The PC said press CTRL+I for Configure or something like that, then something About RADI0 Came up, I, Like an idiot removed RAID0 then created a RAID0 again. Now when the PC boots it say press F1 to retry and F2 to enter setup, and something about cannot find boot device?? What does this mean??

A:RAID0 Vista+Dell

I think you may have to do a repair install using the Vista disk.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/raid0-vista-dell-167942.html
Relevancy 36.55%

Hello all I just acronis'ed partition resized Vista x from the whole hard drive to gb and to make space for windows installation on the free gb During the resize the laptop went to sleep so I had to reboot --- but after rebooting I could not create a Vista on Laptop Dell partition because it reported as no space available Somehow I got out of that and managed to resize Vista on Dell Laptop again this time successfully so I thought to gb Installed Vista on Dell Laptop Win successfully on the gb partition but now unable to boot back to Vista although the bootup gives both options win and vista Ran EBCD and set up windows boot with vista as second choice Still no luck - Vista will not come up - even in safe mode - it just sits there with a black screen and the arrow cursor Tried the original install disk and did repair several times from the CD on vista partition but still did not start - I then went to command and ran bootrec exe fixmbr etc it said successful but still no luck in vista boot The gb partition seems to be intact there are program files and program files x folders with all the installed stuff on it Anyway I moved all what could be moved into the win partition in preparation for the worst a fresh vista re-install Is this my only solution now Laptop is a Dell and has data backup - laptop still under warranty If I re-install Vista I can re-install all the programs but how can I get back the Dell software for the online backup facilities I notice there is a fat folder which has dell stuff in it but don't know how to recover

A:Vista on Dell Laptop

hello
you can try to factory settings IF the recovery partition is still intact..... then start over if you want.... Laptop Recovery Instructions - Tech Support Forum

PS: did you look in disk management to see if both partitions are marked as active?
I don't know how to get there in win7.

GOOD LUCK !!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/266869-vista-dell-laptop.html
Relevancy 36.55%

hi all not sure if this is the correct forum so please move dell slow vista on if its not i m on a dell inspiron it has become very slow opening pages so i think im using too much memory i have an itunes libary which slow dell on vista i plan to move to a hard drive to free up some space however ive tried cleaning up my files but dont really know how to a pop up box tells me that my E disk in low on memory and to clean it up however when i try this all it opens is my recycle bin which uses bites how do i slow dell on vista find out my memory usage and clean up unused inwanted files also can someone slow dell on vista please intruct me how to install the bluetooth on the laptop thanks for any help here in hjt log if it helps shanmc Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files DellTPad Apoint exe C Windows System igfxtray exe C Windows System hkcmd exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Windows System WLTRAY EXE C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe C Program Files Dell Webcam Dell Webcam Central WebcamDell exe C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Canon MyPrinter BJMYPRT EXE C Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files AVG Secure Search vprot exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Windows ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office ONENOTEM EXE C Windows system igfxsrvc exe C Windows ehome ehmsas exe C Program Files DellTPad HidFind exe C Program Files DellTPad Apntex exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbarUser exe C Windows system Macromed Flash FlashUtil c ActiveX exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Users Aoife McDonald Desktop HiJackThis exe O - Service AVG WatchDog avgwd - AVG Technologies CZ s r o - C Program Files AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe O - Service Bonjour Service - Apple Inc - C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe O - Service Dock Login Service DockLoginService - Stardock Corporation - C Program Files Dell DellDock DockLogin exe O - Service GoToAssist - Citrix Online a division of Citrix Systems Inc - C Program Files Citrix GoToAssist g aservice exe O - Service Google Update Service gupdate gupdate - Google Inc - C Program Files Google Update GoogleUpdate exe O - Service Google Update Service gupdatem gupdatem - Google Inc - C Program Files Google Update GoogleUpdate exe O - Service Google Software Updater gusvc - Google - C Program Files Google Common Google Updater GoogleUpdaterService exe O - Service Intel R Matrix Storage Event Monitor IAANTMON - Unknown owner - C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager IAANTMon exe file missing O - Service Canon Inkjet Printer Scanner Fax Extended Survey Program IJPLMSVC - Unknown owner - C Program Files Canon IJPLM IJPLMSVC EXE O - Service iPod Service - Apple Inc - C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe O - Service Audio Service STacSV - IDT Inc - C Windows System DriverStore FileRepository stwrt inf ae b e STacSV exe O - Service vToolbarUpdater - Unknown owner - C Program Files Common Files AVG Secure Search vToolbarUpdater ToolbarUpdater exe O - Service Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service wltrysvc - Unknown owner - C Windows System WLTRYSVC EXE O - Service Marvell Yukon Service yksvc - Unknown owner - RUNDLL EXE file missing -- End of file - bytes nbsp

A:slow dell on vista

I have a dell and mine came with a dell support center theres actually a place in there that will show you exactly how much of what is taking up your disk space like pics videos documents and stuff

just click the tool box and wrench (Dell support center)
click Hard Drive Status
then under additional tools
Drive Space Manager

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slow-dell-on-vista.1045255/
Relevancy 36.55%

I am not sure which is causing the problem, Vista or Dell, so will be posting in both places.

I am running my design program and printing books which have lots of text.

When I try to print and tell the printer to "duplex and flip on long edge" the printer prints the book's text with a red blur behind each and every letter.

I have spent half the day screaming at my program, the printer and Vista....lol.

Can anyone help?

Thanks .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-with-vista-and-or-my-dell-printer.910056/
Relevancy 36.55%

So I have a Dell 1720 and a newly installed 64 bit vista..(Business) My laptop came with 32bit Premium, But since it crashed i figured I would put 64 bit on to get the most out of my 4 gigs of RAM, But I have managed to get all of the drivers working BUT 1 It is the Wireless card It doesn't work.. Does anyone know of a 64 bit Driver for the dell 1720?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-1720-and-64-bit-vista.748664/
Relevancy 36.55%

Hi all,
Someone mentioned that a Dell Vista reinstalltion might not work on a new motherboard, the DVD itself says that its for installation on Dell PCs only but do you think the DVD will actually block the installation if it detects another motherboard? Or do you think that it would just not activate maybe?
If so, im aware that i would have to buy a full version of Windows 7 and the price seems to vary from one seller to another, can anyone recommend the cheapest place to buy it?

Actually to make the matter more complicated here is the scenario , I currently have Vista installed on the Dell machine but i intend to move the hard drive to the new motherboard with Vista on it. Now many people say that Vista should automatically work with the new motherboard if i repair so in which case i wouldnt be doing a completly new install. Any ideas?

Relevancy 36.55%

Hello, I've had this problem for a while:
When I click "shut down" my Dell does a shut-down/start-up instead.
I have to tell it (at least )twice to shut down when it finally does after 2nd/3rd attempt.

I have tried a reinstall also
Thanks ahead

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-vista-wont-shut-down-590066.html
Relevancy 36.55%

How do i reboot vista dell laptop?

A:Reboot-Dell with vista

can you explan more - what do you mean by reboot ?
model of the dell would also help

Do you want to recover and set back to factory condition
OR
Restore to a previous date

or if you want to reboot the PC just go to start - and restart

EDIT
I see you explained more in your duplicate thread - closing this one

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reboot-dell-with-vista.887515/
Relevancy 36.55%

I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Windows Vista installed in it. I have had Wireless network in my house for the past year (using Westell Versalink 237W). However, this laptop is unable to detect any wireless connection. I have the modem right next to the computer, and the wireless switch is turned ON, but still no wireless.

The wireless router etc work perfectly. There is no interference from other devices (no microwave, no phone). Is there anyone who has had a similar problem? How do i get my Dell Inspiron with Vista to detect wireless????

I'll appreciate all your suggestions !!!

Relevancy 36.55%

Hello I have a Vista Dell E6400 and I just moved to California. The Ethernet at my house in GA worked fine and then when I tried to connect it to A LAN Ethernet in Florida it says that there is limited or no connectivity. Please help me please.

A:Need help with my Vista dell e6400

Hello Moneymo2013, could you please elaborate some more I would like some more detail? What do you mean when you try to connect to your Ethernet at your house? Do you mean when you try to connect to your router or your cable/DSL mode via the network interface card (NIC)?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-with-my-vista-dell-e6400.941523/
Relevancy 36.55%

Hi I don't know what else to do about restoring my dell windows vista inspiron . 531 with the operating system disk. Everything I try doesn't work can I please have some help?

A:Dell Windows Vista

Are you getting an error message?
Is it a factory Dell os DVD disk or are you trying to reinstall from the recovery partition on the hard drive?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-windows-vista-616187.html
Relevancy 36.55%

Wont validate WGA , tried turn off Norton and spyware doctor still no geniune authorization.
Any help appreciated. The active x wont load.

Heres the diagnostic report :

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Results
Passed Active scripting allowed
Passed Display images enabled
Passed Computer time and date correct
Passed ActiveX enabled
(Failed )Windows validation ActiveX loaded
(Failed )Office validation ActiveX loaded
(Failed) Validation Self-help ActiveX loaded

Tony

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/wga-doesnt-validate-i-have-oem-vista-dell-178901.html
Relevancy 36.55%

I got a user that was working with a Dell Latitude D630 running Vista. I know dell and vista is their first problem. The user powered down the laptop and then went to turn it back on and nothing. The laptop acts like its going to power up and i get a black screen and i see the mouse pointer and i can move it but thats all. I booted to safe mode and same thing. Im new to vista so im stuck. Please help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-dell-latitude-help.626019/
Relevancy 36.55%

lighting hit my old computer so hubby bought me a new dell with vista on it,can't get half the web site to open and some of my downloads want download. its a dell 1gb shared dual channell sdram
250gb hard drive
amdathlon 64x2 3600+ dual core processer

can't get my dsl to work been with them on phone all day

what do i do thanks oh yes im useing dial up now and so slow

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-new-dell-computer-with-vista-help.624484/
Relevancy 36.55%

The CNET site, Studio 1535 review shows my Intel T8100 as a 64 bit VISTA OS but is came with VISTA 32. I would like to reformat and load a fresh 64 bit Windows 7. Is this possible, and will 32-bit Vista drivers work with a 64 bit Windows 7 OS?

A:Dell 1535 from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Win 7

The 1535 should run W7 64-bit fine since Vista 64-bit is an option for that computer. The W7 installation disk should automatically install most of the drivers you need and for those it doesn't have, the Vista 64-bit drivers here Drivers & Downloads
should work (32-bit drivers will not work with your W7 64-bit installation).

Dell is updating a lot of their drivers now that W7 is out and I wouldn't be surprised to see W7 drivers offered for the 1535 in the near future.
Tom

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/32524-dell-1535-32-bit-vista-64-bit-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi,

I want to buy a Dell system but it comes with Pre installed Windows Vista Home Premium & they do not offer Win XP.

I would like to install Win XP Pro SP3 in it and remove Vista.

(1) Can I do that & if yes how ? I have Windows XP Pro SP3 CD that came with my another Dell system.

(2) How important is it to learn Vista ? I do not like Vista but it looks like sooner or later I am going to have to learn it. Any idea of what percentage of people owning computers now use Vista instead of other Windows OS ?

Thanks Much.

A:Can I install Win XP on a Dell system that comes with Vista?

Well Vista comes preinstalled on most computers you buy these days so. And as for installing Xp (if you want) Pop the cd in to the tray reboot reformat your hdd when its asks and install xp the rest of the way. now if you are runing that xp cd installed on the other system you will have to get another cd key from microsoft unless its a student version or retail

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-install-win-xp-on-a-dell-system-that-comes-with-vista.107206/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with vista and whenever I turn it on the dell logo shows up and then it turns into a black screen with a flickering white line in the top left corner. Also can not click F8 to restart my computer from an earlier date or use safe mode. The only F keys that work are F2 for setup and F12 for boot menu and control alt delete only resets the computer to the black screen. Please help me fix my computer.

A:Dell inspiron 1525 w/ Vista

Do you have a vista install disc? If you do you can try the startup repair.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-inspiron-1525-w-vista-591006.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Need to know if my system is recoverable. I was not getting response from my computer, went into Safe Mode and was able to access restore point, however it appears that the restore point I slected was not a good one and now, it appears to boot up, but have blank screen with an arrow on it

Relevancy 36.12%

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that I am planning on attempting to dual-boot fairly soon I have never attempted to tweak my computers in any way before so I m in rather inexperienced territory here Before I OEM OEM XP Dell + Vista Dual-Boot? seriously attempt to do this and quite possibly end up way over my head I was wanting to Dell OEM Vista + OEM XP Dual-Boot? know if this was even possible to do using an OEM XP SP disk in conjunction with OEM Vista XP OS disk is from the same manufacturer both systems have the same chipset and graphics controller manufacturer Intel and also have much of the same class of BIOS version Desktop A - Laptop A as well so there shouldn t be any conflicting issues there right Also I d like to know if anyone thought I might run into potential problems if I m prompted to use the XP activation key I don t want to lose my license for the desktop it actually came with as it is still in use Would there be no problems arising from that because it s being installed again on a Dell I also do not want to loose my system s recovery partition that would allow me to Factory Restore as my Vista disk does not allow the repair install option Is there any way at all that I can keep from losing that from doing this Lastly I m intending to follow this method here for this Does anyone spot any potential problems with following that method in my particular case Or does anyone know of a better method that I can follow with more specifics on the whole OEM thing Any and all help opinions or suggestions on these matters is greatly appreciated

A:Dell OEM Vista + OEM XP Dual-Boot?

I realize this is an old post but answering anyway

the simple answer is no

I have one so I know

the 1525 uses two different bios settings one for vista and one for XP

if you attempt to use the procedure you picked out

it will load xp but when you reboot you will get two corrupted OS's

What I did was bought a sata drive and a carrier for the computer and just swap drives (remembering to reset the bios each time

Sorry but Dell is very adamant about not being able to dual boot for some reason on this machine

its a Pain but it works

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/213416-dell-oem-vista-oem-xp-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I need to reinstall windows Vista on my Dell Inspiron 531 but every time I try to reinstall it
Vista does not find my drivers and I don't know how to make it look at my drivers. When I scan
vista never finds my drivers. Can anyone step me through the reinstall proceedure?
Thank you,

A:Can't reinstall Vista on a Dell Inspiron 531

exactly what are you doing to re-install ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-reinstall-vista-on-a-dell-inspiron-531.1030793/
Relevancy 36.12%

New hard drive; clean installation of Vista Business on my Dell 8400.

I cannot get sound to work. Tried Dell.com for drivers but I installed driver they suggest and it does not work.

A:Dell 8400 w/Vista - no sound

There aren't any drivers for Vista from Dell for that system model number. That computer has the ADI 198x audio chipset. Sometimes drivers from other manufacturers work.

http://www.driverheaven.net/windows...s-adi-198x-integrated-audio-driver-vista.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-8400-w-vista-no-sound.684849/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hey everyone I have a almost two year old Dell with Vista home premium bit and it's driving me nuts I've always RAID pissing Dell me Vista off! had troubles with it but they usually just Dell Vista RAID pissing me off! solve Dell Vista RAID pissing me off! themselves It came with the Intel Matrix Manager thing and there are two RAID volumes Now they up all the time which makes the computer go nuts This morning the first RAID volume was degraded and listed as quot Error Occurred quot Usually I just boot up go into the Matrix Manager and rebuild it and all is quot fine quot Today however after it was on of the rebuilt it either BSOD'd or rebooted by itself I was afk and I haven't been able to boot up successfully since then The RAID volume still lists as degraded with an error and the boot just stalls after the Ctrl-I line I tried Dell's DVD and tried to repair the computer but after it says it has errors and I select restart it just goes blank I also tried safe mode F but it seems it's not working No matter how many bajillion times I press that key it never gets to safe mode Now I don't really get the whole RAID thing but I think it is to blame Apart from a cry for help in general I have a specific question If I want to stop using the RAID thing and just have a normal computer should I reset or delete the RAID volumes I'm afraid I'm going to lose data if I choose the wrong option Anyway any help with bringing my computer up would be very much appreciated I'm new to the whole tech forum thing so any specs you need just let me know and I'll do my best to give them to you considering my computer is dead Thanks in advance Cristina Linha aka Draculusa

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/240102-dell-vista-raid-pissing-me-off.html
Relevancy 36.12%

trying to install windows 7 as upgrade but ,need to remove dell dock before completing install.I dont have any of the original cd's.

A:how to remove dell dock from vista with no cd

Reinstall Dell Dock & then uninstall.http://en.community.dell.com/suppor...

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/how-to-remove-dell-dock-from-vista-with-no-cd/13782.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Dell Printer A940 and Vista I am using my old printer (Dell A940 All-in-One printer) with my new Vista operating system. I have downloaded all the drivers from the Dell website and still the printer will not scan. The printer works fine, but when I try to open the All-In-One center, I get a runtime error message saying the application has requested Runtime to terminate the program in an unusual way. Basically, I just want my printer to scan pictures the way it did before I got Vista operating system. Is there anything I can do??

A:Dell 940 AIO Printer issue with Vista

See this thread

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19306983.aspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-940-aio-printer-issue-with-vista.901642/
Relevancy 36.12%

My Dell computer will not let me uninstall any program. The message says, "Please wait until the current program has finished uninstalling", when there is no program uninstalling.

A:Windows Vista, 32-bit OS Dell Inspiron531S

Hi There,

It look like there’s some registry entries left in your System drive of any past software which has not been uninstalled Correctly .

Try using “ Revo uninstaller (freeware Software)” for uninstalling any software that you want uninstall with moderate mode.

Also Use CCleaner Software to fix your registry entries.

After this you won’t be bugged by this issue.

Thanks,
Suraj Yogi

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-32-bit-os-dell-inspiron531s.1041720/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hello had the quot great quot idea of downloading some up-to-date drivers from Dell Support Center a couple of weeks ago and the result was no sound even though the sound was working perfectly before Never updated any drivers in this year old laptop before Now I have a red cross over the 1720 + 32-bit Dell Vista Inspiron speaker icon and when I Dell Inspiron 1720 + Vista 32-bit click on Open Volume Mixer it says quot no audio device is installed quot Steps I tried in order -rollback the drivers couldn t do it it was greyed out -uninstall and delete the driver software in Device Manager and let Vista install whatever drivers it had in store for it didn t help -did a restart holding the Fn key to check if the sound card had been damaged and was no longer working passed all the sound tests sound card is OK -tried some free tools from the net regarding driver repsir registry repair PC repair etc didn t help -tried some crazy solutions from the net Microsoft Techie Forum such as doing a quot scan for hardware changes quot under Device Manager and turn the machine on and off many times in sequence didn t help -for some reason I had no restore points saved in order to restore the entire machine to a previous date I think nCleaner a free tool from the net cleaned my restore points as well -the DVD-ROM in this machine broke for lack of use I suppose never used it since day because I have an external one I only have the rescue disk from Dell and not the actual Vista disk so I cannot reinstall Vista and reformat the hard drive from the external DVD-ROM I tried and it didn t work even going in the BIOS setup and changing the boot order -Last step paid to Dell Tech Support and wasted hours on the phone with the guy for him to tell me at the end that he couldn t help because my DVD-ROM was broken but Dell can replace my non-working DVD-ROM so that I could reinstall Vista for So I don t recommend anyone out there to use Dell Tech Support for out of warranty machines -I don t have the knowledge to go into the Registry and removing whatever in there is related to the sound card and maybe let Vista treat is as new hardware and reinstall the original quot old quot drivers if that is even possible -Any help will be appreciated before I throw the machine in the garbage Thanks in advance Regards Disco nbsp

Relevancy 36.12%

I've been trying to read up on this subject for the last week found some sites with some instructions First off my problem beforehand is i dont understand alot of whats being explained im computer illiterate when comes to things like this Basically i wanna turn my Vista bit OS to a bit i know i have to do a quot clean install quot and thats where i XPS Dell HELP! Vista 32bit to on Win 64bit 420 get stuck how do i exactly do this everyplace i read says the instructions are simple but Win Vista 32bit to 64bit on Dell XPS 420 HELP! uhh not for me quot do this do that quot well explain how to get to that point first lol Am i confusing Win Vista 32bit to 64bit on Dell XPS 420 HELP! anyone yet any help on this matter that even a caveman can understand would be AWESOME i have a Dell Demonsions XPS Vista bit I wanted to put Windows Ult bit which im sure is the same concept as throwing in a Vista bit and i have the Disks for them already just need to get the clean install going ty for any help

A:Win Vista 32bit to 64bit on Dell XPS 420 HELP!

Insert the disk, reboot and boot from cd.

You will get to select a hard drive to install the OS on, select the drive and click the delete button this will clear the hard drive. Simply proceed to install the os on the hard drive.

The install is pretty user friendly.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/win-vista-32bit-to-64bit-on-dell-xps-420-help-590088.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi Guys,

I'm getting a dell studio, but want to dual boot with xp. The only thing is I've read its a heck of a lot easier when u have vista disc to repair bootloader. Do you know if the del studio comes with disc, or just HDD partition backup. I haven't seen a clear answer on this so far and if you don't get it its just a pain. You should always get a disc of the OS in my opinion.

Cheers

A:Dell Studio come with Vista disc?

You will need a separate copy of Vista

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-studio-come-with-vista-disc.112272/
Relevancy 36.12%

downloaded norton protection on my dell studio vista yesterday.
Have had several problems since. Constantly opening in safe mode, blue screen error. Colors changing.

Can my vista not accept norton? Computer 3 yrs old.

Not computer savy.

A:dell-vista downloaded norton

Run the Norton Removal Tool and consider a much better and safer alternative.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-vista-downloaded-norton.966231/
Relevancy 36.12%

gday ladies and gentlemen. I have just signed up to your fabulous forum to help find a solution to my current problem.

i have a dell inspiron 1525 with windows vista and am currently experiencing problems with the sound. Specifically i have none and want to know why.

I have checked the sound settings in the control panel, device manager and taskbar and have had no success as yet. Everything says its all AOK.

So any help or tips would be very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Lost in Computer Quagmire.

A:vista no sound dell inspiron

Hi roger.ledger, welcome to TSF..

Best thing I can advise is to uninstall your sound drivers and install the latest available from Dell:
http://support.dell.com/support/down...&catid=&impid=

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-no-sound-dell-inspiron-293517.html
Relevancy 36.12%

can't start windows ..a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly, exited or been terminated???????? Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed? Disable BIOS memory? How? Can't get into SAFE MODE-F8. Please help with Dell Inspiron 1525 one month out of warranty. Thanks

A:Dell Inspiron 1525/ Vista 32-bit

Lets start with backing up your important data.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Once this is done, then we can try some things.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-1525-vista-32-bit.897394/
Relevancy 36.12%

I can't seem to find the solution for finding the 64 bit drivers (network controler) for a Dell 1525. Any help will be appreciated.

Trying to do this remotely is a pain when you are 2000 miles away from the laptop and neither controller seems to work. I deleted the Wlan utility and the drivers went too.

A:vista 64 bit drivers dell 1525

Hi and welcome to TSF from what I see here there are none Drivers & Downloads | Dell US only xp and vista 32 bit

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-64-bit-drivers-dell-1525-a-688472.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I have a Dell e1505, and when I turn the computer on. The Dell screens comes up, but Windows never boots. Only a black screen with a blinking cursor. However, I can use Dell MediaDirect fine. I've had the computer a couple of years. Should I just toss it? Or what could I do to repair it?

A:Dell e1505..Vista will not boot

Just to make sure Vista like in the Title or XP Pro like under your user name?
Do you have the Windows disk that came with the PC?
Will it boot into safe mode if you tab F8 repeatedly during boot?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-e1505-vista-will-not-boot-383673.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I have done just 7x64 Upgrading Dell x32 410 to Vista from XPS about as much research as one person could do on the subject and I am fortunately for my nerves coming to a fairly firm understanding of what I can cannot should should not do in regards to my situation Here's what I am left with I am currently running Win Vista x on my Dell XPS Here are the specs -Dell Dimension DXP -Intel Upgrading Dell XPS 410 from Vista x32 to 7x64 Core Quad CPU Q GHz GHz Number of processer cores - GB Ram PC - X GB Sticks with dual channel slots - GB Internal Hard Drive -NVIDIA GeForce GS Stock GFX Card died and I replaced it with this less than a year ago -Windows Vista Home Premium -bit -bit capable compatible -Intel P Chipset As you can tell I have not been running this rig to it's full potential and to be honest I didn't even realize what it was capable of until about week ago Here's what I know I can do from here Install Win x Clean Install SDD Hard Drive and install W Retail Copy to new drive Install up to gb ram with certainty regardless of what dell documentation and crucial says I know the chipset I mentioned can support gb I have seen countless posts of users with the same system running gb and I can physically put gb ram in the system Bear in mind that as the amount of money it takes to effectively do what I have listed above goes up the worth goes down I purchased the machine in and the goal here is to optimize for less than it would cost to build a better system Now these are the only things that I am still struggling with Upgrade Retail or OEM - The popular suggestion to avoid any potential license related issues would be for me to buy the retail copy of Win as the independent liscense would prove valuable and only then would Microsoft offer tech support from -bit to -bit install per microsoft -Upgrade - Now this really only becomes important when it comes down to looking ahead If I buy the upgrade it is my understanding that the I spend on that software will be eaten up by this machine and this machine alone and that if anything were to happen where I needed to reboot from disc I would have to start with Vista every time then upgrade to Win This does not seem appealing -Retail - This proves to be the best in regards to planning ahead but the worst for cost effectiveness in the NOW in relation to how much I am putting into an old machine -OEM - Independent license but I am again bound to this machine Is that correct Now here is how I end up looking at this If I spend the to upgrade and it works I just saved If I spend to upgrade and it doesn't work I will spend another on the OEM for my new build but potentially over time If I plop down the now I won't have any problems until they release Windows seems like it could happen fairly soon Which option would you go with New HD SSD or bigger faster HDD - I will make this easy right now In regards to budget I am ONLY potentially interested in purchasing an SSD for the OS due to how expensive they are right now I have already spent on an -TB on an external hard drive in preparation for this switch and data storage in the future Including this new external hard drive I have a total of TB of space Would there be any point to having only an SSD big enough for OS and using old HDD for all applications and files At the end of the day I am just looking for the best approach as far as spending goes Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Upgrading Dell XPS 410 from Vista x32 to 7x64

1. Retail
2. Ssd & Hdd

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/219947-upgrading-dell-xps-410-vista-x32-7x64.html
Relevancy 36.12%

My Dell laptop which laptop Slow Dell Vista runs vista is painfully slow I have McAfee Adaware Spybot and all the Vista security I have tried Mozilla software to see if e-mail and internet would load up faster but no luck Here is Slow Dell Vista laptop my Hijack this log which looks pretty full to my inexperienced eye Any helpful hints would be most welcome Logfile of Trend Slow Dell Vista laptop Micro HijackThis v BETA Scan saved at on Platform Windows Vista WinNT Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Windows sttray exe C Windows System ico exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM RoxWatchTray exe C Program Files McAfee MSK mskagent exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE CLI EXE C Program Files Dell MediaDirect PCMService exe C Windows System wpcumi exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Windows ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exe C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe C Windows ehome ehmsas exe C Program Files Windows Mail WinMail exe C Windows System Pmxmiced exe C PROGRA McAfee com Agent mcagent exe C Program Files McAfee MPS mpsevh exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Mozilla Thunderbird thunderbird exe C Windows system wbem unsecapp exe C Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM CPSHelpRunner exe C Program Files Internet Explorer ieuser exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE CLI exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE CLI exe C Windows system Taskmgr exe C Users Peter Downloads HiJackThis v exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www ebay co uk R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Internet Explorer provided by Dell R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - Hosts localhost O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Skype add-on mastermind - BF B-C D - d - A -A F BA C - C Program Files Skype Toolbars Internet Explorer SkypeIEPlugin dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - c Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO scriptproxy - DB D A - - E -B D- F C - c PROGRA mcafee VIRUSS scriptcl dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO Browser Address Error Redirector - CA C - B - E-A -A C DB F - C Program Files BAE BAE dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run Windows Defender ProgramFiles Windows Defender MSASCui exe -hide O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot c Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run SigmatelSysTrayApp sttray exe O - HKLM Run ATICCC quot C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE CLIStart exe quot O - HKLM Run PMX Daemon ICO EXE O - HKLM Run Corel Photo Downloader C Program Files Corel Cor... Read more

Relevancy 36.12%

When I turn on the CPU and I see the screen where I put my password in for Vista the color looks great Once I put in my password Problem Color Vista/Dell and it loads my desktop and the icons appear there is a change in the color tones I can't have it this way I bought my computer to build my website where I sell jewelry that I make If the color is off like this I can't adjust the pictures because they'll look terrible on other's computers when they access Vista/Dell Color Problem my website How can I make this color change stop and just remain like it looks at the password screen Please lead me Vista/Dell Color Problem through it I had bought a Dell flat panel Monitor and besides another issue it was doing the same thing so I hooked up my old CRT from my previous computer and had the same thing happen My son's laptop has the same color all the time so I don't understand I'd appreciate any help My info is below Here is my info from Belarc Operating System System Model Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack build Dell Inc Inspiron System Service Tag T NWG support for this PC Chassis Serial Number T NWG Enclosure Type Desktop Processor a Main Circuit Board b gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache Board Dell Inc RY Serial Number CN C LQ Bus Clock megahertz BIOS Dell Inc Drives Memory Modules c d Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space Optiarc DVD -RW AD- S ATA Device CD-ROM drive Maxtor L P USB Device Hard drive GB -- drive ST AS Hard drive GB -- drive s n RYABRC rev ADA SMART Status Healthy Display Intel R G G Express Chipset Family Display adapter Samsung SyncMaster Monitor quot vis s n HCBT February

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-dell-color-problem-286663.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi, I have a Dell Vostro 400 with Win XP Home on it and I should upgrade out of it but I want to keep all my programs and settings. I have the Dell Reinstallation DVD for Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I'm under the impression that that is an upgrade path. Once I get there, can I upgrade to Win 7 Pro 32 bit and still keep my programs?

I'm trying to follow instructions at Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Software Guides

A:Dell Vostro 400 - Upgrade XP to Vista then Win 7

According to Microsoft, you can upgrade from XP to Vista and keep your files and programs.

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows Vista

Ditto for upgrade from Vista to Windows 7.

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

Personally, I would do a clean install of Windows 7, bypassing Vista completely. Your computer will run better and there will be no leftover junk from XP to cause problems later on. Just backup your data first.

The guide you are following is overkill to the max, way to much information and steps.

No matter what you do, please backup your data first. Even better would be to make an image backup to an external hard drive so if anything goes wrong you have a easy way to recover.

Is the copy of Windows 7 a upgrade or full version?

For Upgrade: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

For a Full version: Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/291381-dell-vostro-400-upgrade-xp-vista-then-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I am about to install Windows Vista Business on a Dell XPS M1210 laptop bought with the offer from Dell to upgrade from Windows XP to Vista.
Has anyone done that? I have heard of lots of problems particularly with MediaDirect software that should be re-installed.
I have not installed any new software or hardware on the laptop so it should be a smooth process but I wouldn't want to get into some trouble.
Any advice or suggestion welcome
Thanks

A:Dell Windows Vista upgrade

This is just my personal opinion because I have seen many people with problems after doing an Upgrade install. If you are very lucky it will be fine, but it seems to sometimes go wrong. Upgrade installs have always had problems and Vista does not seem to be any better.

You can do a clean install with an Upgrade DVD . This of course will wipe the hard drive and lose all your programs and data. It also takes longer as you actually have to install Vista twice, but you get a good clean install at the end of it. It is not as long as that might sound since Vista installs quicker than XP

Have a read and see what you think

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932

Use Upgrade Advisor first

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-windows-vista-upgrade.566135/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi I have been given a dell inspiron with bit AMD processor running bit vista home basic that has responded well to RAM upgrade to GB I want to install bit win pro media centre which I have on an original MS CD either over current vista or on separate partition as dual boot For some reason the dell wont read the MS win disk or any other original MS OS disks I have vista- - - but reads pretty much everything else DVD's excepted as currently install 64 inspiron won't 531 dell on 8 32 win vista has no DVD reading software either through explorer or during boot it is not only original ms discs that are a problem as dell won't read win - enterprise trial iso I burned myself either I have tried turning off security software MS security essentials MS firewall no change CD's all read fine via explorer on my lightly hopped up HP tx ea running win - pro media centre Can anyone help advise kind regards Eldred

A:win 8 64 won't install on 32 vista dell inspiron 531

Sounds like the DVD drive needs to be replaced.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/29975-win-8-64-wont-install-32-vista-dell-inspiron-531-a.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hey Guys

After using my PC for a presentation on a projector today it seems that something has changed on the screen settings. If I choose a lower setting than max (1920x1200) the screen image becomes smaller on the display and does not utilize the whole display, rather than text, icons etc becoming bigger, and still filling the whole display. The image below will illustrate how it looks on my screen when I turn the resolution down. Before the whole screen would still be filled, but the icons and text would be bigger.
Hope someone can help me, as this affects some programs with lower resolution, that will no longer use the whole screen..

XPS

A:Vista/Dell resolution problem

There is a setting in the BIOS and also available via hot keys.
On my Dell it is Fn F7 but it should be labelled.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-dell-resolution-problem.634011/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hello Everyone I m an owner of a Dell Xps i I know i know and for a full year almost there have been no real issues the random Crashing Xps Dell 64 Vista randomly crash here and there obviously but now its Vista 64 Dell Xps Crashing randomly been having strange crashing issues Specifically the machine will crash at a seemingly random interval and not a BSOD crash a quot monitor is now in power save but the audio continues for Vista 64 Dell Xps Crashing randomly about seconds before entering a crash loop quot crash Once the computer crashes the screen goes black and becomes totally unresponsive no Ctrl Alt Delete no picture no nothing except the sound that was playing and about - seconds into the blackout the sound starts a short crashloop of whatever was happening at the time generally a loud repetetive undulating noise It often crashes while playing games i e World of Warcraft or Civilization but recently it has crashed while idle about minutes after startup and then while i was attempting some overvoltage changes on the BIOS read about them as a possible fix on the dell support site it crashed again within i d say minutes of startup while i was still in the BIOS I have attempted to fix this issue although i have not had lot of time to work on it yet since i have to go to work and its a recent issue What i have done though has seemingly had no effect I have updated practically all the drivers taking special caution with the audio and video drivers did clean uninstall and reinstalls of both and i also made sure all windows updates are installed and ready to go I also changed the overvoltage options in the BIOS to a slightly higher setting monitor going into power save not enough juice Vista 64 Dell Xps Crashing randomly no effect I also underclocked the FSB and CPU in an attempt to create system stability but again no effect So here i am Hardware wise ive opened the case and checked that the fans are in operation the Video Card s fan appears to have a decent rpm although i have not used a utility yet to confirm and compressed air was used to clean out the inside of the case The strange way this issue has come from nowhere and the way it happens with no blue screen seems to say software issue to me but i m not really sure where to begin and even then that just might be wishful thinking Ive checked the event viewer and the only really relevent logs are Event Windows Kernel Power Errors and that appears to just be a quot didn t shut down properly quot log I d be glad to provide any additional info it just might take me a little while i m currently not with the PC From what i hear its on a hour hot streak so i ll try to keep you all posted Thanks in advance hopefully someone can help me out -Jake nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-64-dell-xps-crashing-randomly.972298/
Relevancy 36.12%

I have been using this monitor on an older computer with XP Pro and an ATI graphics card. I now have a new computer with Vista and an NVIDia G force 6 series grapics card. The monitor is recognized as a 'generic' monitor and works, but the power saving features don't seem to be supported. Is this a problem with the video card or Vista, or the monitor itself, and how can I fix it. THANKS

A:DELL UltraSharp FP 19" and Vista

right click on the desktop
personlise/screensaver/change power settings
look in the left pane for setting

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-ultrasharp-fp-19-and-vista-178875.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I am trying to fix a computer for my girlfriend s mother so she can have a family computer in her living room Help Dell Windows Desktop with and Vista so her family will stay off of hers but that s beside the point Anyway what computer Help with Dell Desktop and Windows Vista I am trying to fix is a Dell desktop not completely sure the model of it at the moment although if it is required I can find out When trying to start the computer up it says disk read error or something to that degree I shut off all of the disk drives in the system setup and what do you know the computer started right up into Windows Vista However it randomly shuts off it was doing this from the beginning before I could get it to boot into Vista I have since deleted the partition and to install Vista from scratch like I was intending to do however I cannot complete the installation before it turns off Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong section it s just there are a few things that are going wrong for this disaster I didn t know where to put it Any suggestions My thought is a hardware problem but it could be something so simple to fix that I have been overlooking it nbsp

Relevancy 36.12%

i always used the control shift f11 key combos and it would always work. but now they are saying to do the f8 when the dell logo comes up and then another screen pops up where i am supposed to choose repair computer or something like that but the option to go to that screen doesnt come up on my computer. what am i doing wrong!

and i dont need the discs and what not to restore anything, i just use the computer as my gaming sims computer and i have all the pics and stuff i need already saved onto my mac.

A:restoring dell pc windows vista?

Have a look here (Step 3): Restoring Your Computer?s Software to the Factory Settings | Dell US

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/329976-restoring-dell-pc-windows-vista.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Dear All I am having some weird problems and have sought solutions from Dell: New Vista reboots facebook and no Dell and online before returning here Dell recently replaced my AMD with a new E with Intel Dual Cores I also have a ATI Radeon X Pro card with MB and New Dell: Vista reboots and no facebook GB New Dell: Vista reboots and no facebook ram I am running the pre installed Vista Home Prem So here are my problems The computer ALWAYS starts OK loads the Dell bios splash and then some dos text about the DVD drives then it reboots and I get the wondwos failed to load stuff What ever choice I select it loads OK and works But the next time does exactly the same I am running the latest Dell bios Any ideas The other issues is that I just downloaded the latest ATI CCC driver for Vista bit It was released in October ans d seem to install OK but now I can not load New Dell: Vista reboots and no facebook the CC Finally I am using Firefox and IE I have tried to load the Dell site for support and also Facebook and neither load at all But both load fine on my Dell L attitude I can not understand why they do not load on my PC but do on my laptop I wondered if it was a McAfee related thing but I have turned that all off and nothing makes a difference I would rally appreciate some help and guidance please Thanks disney cjd nbsp

Relevancy 36.12%

This is my first post here hopefully it turns Vista running Prolbem Dell out great I'm trying to fix a family members computer got to love being everyone's tech guy and I'm having some problems First off the hard drive's toast I believe hooked it up via SATA to my computer to try and pull some Dell running Vista Prolbem data off it only the Recovery Partion shows up and when I try to click to go into my whole computer freezes and I have to unplug the HDD and it un-freezes instantly Hard drvie pretty much shot and all there pictures lost They didn't back anything up like I told them too Next when I run the Vista Disc to try and restore the operating system it freezes on that At the moment I don't have the hard drive even plugged in because it was giving the PC problems booting up even more BUT the main problem is I got to be able to get Vista to the part where I select my hard drive so I know it'll work before I buy a new HDD for them It completely freezes when the Windows Vista background appears right before it asks you what language you are I never get to the language screen I tried the disc on a laptop I have works fine What's causing the disc to freeze More hardware issues I also tried booting Ubuntu off a thumb drive on the PC and it freezes when it gets to the Ubuntu screen with the dots under it works perfectly fine on my desktop Sorry for the story but hopefully someone can help me out TIA Tyler

A:Dell running Vista Prolbem

You may want to test the memory and see if that may be causing some of the problems. Use a Memtest86+ boot CD to run the tests and see what happens.

The drive with the photos may not be hopeless so don't format it yet.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-running-vista-prolbem-546503.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I continue to get some werid problems on a new Dell XPS machine. The OS will not allow open windows to be closed down using the X in the top right, you must open task manager to close windows. The other issue is that I constantly get bad image.dll messages for various programs. I have reinstalled those programs which has had no positive effect. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-issues-on-dell-machine-277858.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi,

My built-in camera as well as the mic doesnt work in my Dell XPS M1210. I tried to find information elsewhere on the net but was unable to fix the problem.

The camera used to work when I had bought but now vista doesnt seems to recognize it. And I never tested the internal microphone.

Do anyone know the solution for the problems?

>> manjunath

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-with-my-vista-in-dell-xps-m1210.642736/
Relevancy 36.12%

Ok I m at work at the moment so I can t post the exact message but I can post it here later Dell Blue - Screening Vista if needed But I just got a Dell with Vista installed I got this computer primarily to play World of Vista - Blue Screening Dell Warcraft I didn t realize Vista ate up so much resources but even considering that the specs of the machine should be able to handle the game Here are the specs - Inspiron s Athlon X GHz Kx - GB DDR SDRAM at MHz - MB ATI Radeon X - GB SATA II Hard Drive RPM I admit it could use a better video card and that is something I intended to upgrade down the line But my current machine was giving me troubles and was due to be replaced anyways Anyways the computer seems to be able to just idle just fine And I ve done so many drivers and patches its insane but maybe I ve missed something vital someone here knows about But trying to play WoW it can run for about minutes plus just fine then it will crash Usually to a blue screen that forces a restart sometimes rarely it just crashes WoW and goes to the desktop Now at first this just seemed like a memory issue due to Vista being a resource hog so I was content to use this computer as my spare system until I upgraded the RAM and video card While using Media Player however to just use the computer to play some songs it d play a handful then crash just like it did with WoW So I m convinced this is NOT a conflict with WoW though maybe still a resource issue Usually when it does crash and restarts and gives me the option to find a solution it gives me nothing And Dell wasn t that helpful honestly Unfortunely though I already threw out the box the system came in so it would be a MAJOR hassle to return it and frankly I like the monitor so if I can get this working I d prefer it nbsp

A:Vista - Blue Screening Dell

Here's a blog on trouble shooting...it might be worth a read:

http://dmoisan.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!95CB015E3E4A702A!229.entry

I would also try turning off programs that aren't needed at start up and running in the background.

Check services and either disable or set to manual those that don't pertain to you.
http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/18/services/

Get another gig of ram.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-blue-screening-dell.641774/
Relevancy 36.12%

I sincerely apologize to anyone who sees this and the issues mentioned have been solved previously Background I was running MS Vista Home Basic on a Dell Dimension S desktop for the past couple of years Recently about month ago it contracted a virus that completely corrupted a boot file and caused failure Dell Vista/Old issues compatibility to load the operating system and it wasn't able to go into safe mode Long story short I was forced to do an OS reinstall without the driver disc for the console which I no longer have My problem is -pronged I was able to locate the driver which I believe previously ran my graphics adapter on dell com However instead of staying installed Vista continues to reinstall the VGA adapter each and every time the system is restarted I have no idea why this is and want to maintain a higher resolution but it won't allow this It uses a taskbar wizard I can't get Vista to tell me what my network adapter ethernet controller is in Device Manager it's quot Vista/Old Dell compatibility issues unknown quot and thus can't get the right driver I tried opening up the console and looking at the NIC card attached to the ethernet port and saw that it was clearly labeled as a NETGEAR FA Rev B thus I went to Netgear's site and found a Vista/Old Dell compatibility issues driver that should enable FA -FA cards but this driver did not work However I know for a fact that there is a driver out there that should remedy my internet problem because like I said I was up and running for at least years with this configuration Has anyone here heard of these issues Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Rick G

A:Vista/Old Dell compatibility issues

Hi -

You should contact Dell Support and purchase Vista OEM replacement DVDs -

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...=19&l=en&s=dhs

The price is around $20.

The key code on your Dell system cannot be used with a full retail version of Vista.

Before installing Vista with Dell Vista OEM DVD, wipe the entire HDD with KillDisk -

http://jcgriff2.com/0x1/killdisk_imgburn.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-old-dell-compatibility-issues-512865.html
Relevancy 36.12%

How long should it take to install SP2 on a Dell Vostro 1510? I have attempted a clean install of Vista SP1 and cant get wireless drivers or updates to install. I shut it down and and its started installing an update (SP2 is the only one I tried to download) Its been "installing" at least an hour now. 15 meg cable internet. I get the feeling the install is failing.
This morning it BSODed once when I googled wireless drivers. Then the install wizard froze trying to install the driver. Error code 40.
I am ready say screw it and put XP on this thing.

A:[SOLVED] 32 bit Vista Dell Vostro SP2 dl

I forced a shutdown. It wasnt doing anything.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-32-bit-vista-dell-vostro-sp2-dl-676927.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I recently install Windows vista on my Acer computer. The opsystem works fine but when I go into my computer it says that my computer is a dell? It still says my hard drives are acer, but in system properties it says the manufactuer is dell? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ps I have reinstalled vista three times already.

Relevancy 36.12%

I installed 500dHD on Dell Inspiron E1405 and now it's crashing and hanging up all the time. Tried formatting the drive and reinstall the OS which is Vista Biz, but cannot format or do anything. Thanks guys

A:Cannot format Dell Vista Laptop

Have you tried doing a clean install of Vista from the CD?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-format-dell-vista-laptop.985205/
Relevancy 36.12%

not sure if this belongs in this category but here we go..
i run a
Dell Dimension C521
amb 3200 plus dual core
2 gb of ram
256mb ati 1300 pro

Ok the problem is right before the desktop loads and or when i reboot, the transition on changing screens has white lines on them, normally it is supposed to be black, its weird to explain, i chanegd the video card but it has nothing to do with it. it happens when right before the desktop loads / when i click reboot the screen right before it restarts and sometimes on the splash screen...

Relevancy 36.12%

Hi I just purchased a Dell yesterday and started using it today It came with the basic McAfee day trial software but no other anti-virus or spyware software Anyway looks like I have a spyware malware on my computer I constantly get IE popping up with a quot Best AntiSpyware Solution quot window promoting me to scan my computer The link is something like http antispywareexpert com Can someone please help I Spyware Vista laptop) on (Dell have attached the hijackthis below Thanks ------------------------- Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Program Files DellTPad Apoint exe C Program Files Sigmatel C-Major Audio WDM sttray exe C Windows System Spyware on Vista (Dell laptop) rundll exe C Windows System rundll exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Windows System WLTRAY EXE C Program Files McAfee com Agent mcagent exe C Program Files Dell MediaDirect PCMService exe C Program Spyware on Vista (Dell laptop) Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Users Raymond Lee Program Files Spyware on Vista (Dell laptop) DNA btdna exe C Windows System rundll exe C Windows System rundll exe C Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exe C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe C Windows System rundll exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Program Files DellTPad ApMsgFwd exe C Program Files DellTPad HidFind exe C Program Files DellTPad Apntex exe C Program Files McAfee MSC mcregist exe C Program Files Internet Explorer ieuser exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLLoginProxy exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Windows explorer exe C Windows system Macromed Flash FlashUtil f exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www ap dell com content defa hk amp l en amp s gen R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Internet Explorer provided by Dell R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - Hosts localhost O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO McAntiPhishingBHO - C E- F E- D C- F-F BD D CF - c PROGRA mcafee msk mcapbho dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO scriptproxy - DB D A - - E -B D- F C - C Program Files McAfee VirusScan scriptsn dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run Windows Defender ProgramFiles Windows Defender MSASCui exe -hide O - HKLM Run Apoint C Program Files DellTPad Apoint exe O - HKLM Run SigmatelSysTrayApp ProgramFiles SigmaTel C-Major Audio WDM sttray exe O - HKLM Run NvSvc RUNDLL EXE C Windows system nvsvc dll nvsvcStart O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C Windows system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run NvMediaCent... Read more

A:Spyware on Vista (Dell laptop)

Hi,

Just an update.. I downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and ran the program. It found a few infected files and removed them.

Since then, it looks like my laptop is running better - I'm not getting the popups from IE (which also pushed some popups with the url http://83.149.75.33/...)

Anyway, I'm posted an updated HiJackThis log as well as a Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log.

--------------------------
HiJackThis
--------------------------
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 4:40:44 PM, on 14/06/2008
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Sigmatel\C-Major Audio\WDM\sttray.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Windows\System32\WLTRAY.EXE
C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Users\Raymond Lee\Program Files\DNA\btdna.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\ApMsgFwd.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\HidFind.exe
C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Windows\system32\DllHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/defa...=hk&l=en&s=gen
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Internet Explorer provided by Dell
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\DellTPad\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] %ProgramFiles%\SigmaTel\C-Major Audio\WDM\sttray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\Nv... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/spyware-on-vista-dell-laptop-259341.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Think i have a virus,nothing will update; security,windows,java etc. Keep getting redirected on every site i try to visit. (very frustrating)Tried to reinstall vista with reinstallation disc, dvr drive will not respond with vista disc but works with any other disc.Tried clicking f8 on startup but takes me to a password screen similar to normal password screen ,but it looks like its in safe mode and will not accept my user name or password.All i want is a complete restore but it will not let me! Please anyone help before i throw it off the roof!

A:can not reinstall vista on dell e521

Hi meekle,

Welcome to Vista Forums!

If you can't restore to factory conditions either normal way, we need to see if we can either fix the computer or get it to the point where you can restore.

You can make a bootable Recovery Environment Recovery Disk using http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/ along with burning software like: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/active-isoburner.html and, of course, a blank CD (perhaps made on a different computer like the one you used to post here).

Do you know when this problem began? Try a System Restore to a point in time BEFORE the problem began. Here's the procedure: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html. Be sure to check the box to show more than 5 days of restore points. If the first attempt fails, then try an earlier point or two. NOTE: You will have to re-install any software and updates you installed between now and the restore point, but you can use Windows Update for the updates. Use the recovery disk if the system prompt doesn’t work. The recovery disk works a bit different from the above procedures but if you follow the prompts from the System Restore menu option with the above information you should be able to restore with no problems.

If the System Restore doesn't work, do a Startup Repair by booting to the genuine Windows Vista Installation Disk (or one you can borrow from ANYONE) or from a Recovery Disk with recovery options included on it. Here's the procedure: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/91467-startup-repair.html. To boot to the CD you may need to change the BIOS to make the CD-drive first in the boot sequence. To do that, wait for the screen that tells you the F key to push to access the boot menu or boot setup. Push it quickly. Make the changes, save your work, and exit. Put the CD in the drive and reboot. When prompted, push any key to boot from the CD.

If that doesn't work, then let's check some of your system files:

Go to Command Prompt on the disk menu.

Type cd C:\Windows\System32 and enter. Then type sfc /scannow and enter and let it run. It will scan and try to fix some of your system files. Hopefully it will complete with no corruption it could not repair (if there is such corruption post back here or try to analyze it to find the problem file(s) using http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228. Try to attach the report (you may need to copy it to your desktop or to a flash drive to use on another computer before it will permit you to attach it) here so we can see if they can be repaired with good copies from the installation disk (unless there are too many).

While in Command Prompt, type chkdsk /f /r and enter and let it run. It will want to schedule itself to run at the next restart. Answer yes and then reboot to run the program. It will scan and try to fix any corruption or bad sectors on your hard drive and mostly remove that as a potential cause.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to attempt the rest using the computer in normal mode as best as you can (perhaps with an assist from another computer). If you can do these things, great. If not, then skip that step and move on.

If that doesn't work, try a clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135. If the problem goes away then it's just a matter of tracking down the culprit causing the problem. Follow the procedures in the article. Once found, delete, remove, deactivate, or uninstall it. Once done be sure to reset Vista back to normal status as explained in the procedures. If the problem occurs in clean mode then just restore the system to normal status and reboot - this solution is not going to work.

If that doesn't work, then please post the details of any repeating critical or important error messages from the Event Viewer (Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer). Here's how to use Event Viewer: http://www.petri.co.il/vista-event-viewer.htm. Look in the System section. If there are too many, just try... Read more

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/284378-can-not-reinstall-vista-dell-e521.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hey all I have a question, I run a small computer shop and i primarily use Dell Vista Home Premium disks as i work on alot of dells

Is it possible to strip the specific oem info from the disk? or can i use an OEM key with a retail install? The customer will be here at 9 AM which is like ten hours from now. Any and all helpp would be great thanks all

A:Dell Vista Disk with other oem License

AFAIK you can't use an OEM key on a retail install.
You can install the Dell OEM disk on other computers - and then use these steps to remove the Dell branding:

From this link: Remove 'Dell Logo' from System Information - Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads

Found out you can also edit:
C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\oobe.xml

And the registry keys:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\Winsat\WindowsExperienceIndexOEMInfo

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/279114-dell-vista-disk-other-oem-license.html
Relevancy 36.12%

can anyone walk me through how to get my dell 964 all in one printer to work with my windows vista home premium i did a search but those threads did not help me thank you

A:dell 964 printer to windows vista

Welcome
This may help
How to Add a Printer in Vista | eHow.com

If not mentioned, unplug printer until told to turn it on
Unattach any other hardware, except keyboard, mouse and monitor.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286632-dell-964-printer-windows-vista.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I tried to scan pictures this morning. I have been working all day trying to get this issue resolved and no luck. I am using my old printer (Dell A940 All-in-One printer) with my new Vista operating system. I have downloaded all the drivers from the Dell website and still the printer will not scan. The printer works fine, but when I try to open the All-In-One center, I get a runtime error message saying the application has requested Runtime to terminate the program in an unusual way. Basically, I just want my printer to scan pictures the way it did before I got Vista operating system. Is there anything I can do??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-printer-a940-and-vista.623705/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi I have just registered I am interested in computers having started with a TRS K level in followed by Laptop Dell Vista frustrations a BBC model B followed by a PackardBell MHz PC I then bought an Acorn RISC computer upgraded to StrongArm and only changed bacvk to PCs because I needed email facilities Here are details of my present PC Hardware I have Dell Vista Laptop frustrations a Dell Dimension P with HT technology GHz fsb MB cache with GB Ram GB HD mb Dell Vista Laptop frustrations ATI Radeon Graphics Sound Blaster Audigy etc Software The operating system is XP SP I use Avast ZoneAlarm CCleaner Spyware Doctor I use Woks and Worksuite Picasa Micrografx Picture Publisher Serif PagePlus Serif PhotoPlus Audacity I am very happy with the setup My wife has my old Desktop which had W and which has been upgraded to XP SP from a new XP upgrade This is an Intel Pentium MHz with MB Ram and serves her purpose for emails and word processing Two weeks ago I ordered a Dell Inspiron Laptop with Dual Core processor GB RAM and MBHD It came with Vista just a week ago I successfully connected the laptop to my wireless modem and two other desktops I deleted McAfee and installed Avast and ZoneAlarm which caused problems I ended up with open windows on the screen when setting up Avast which I could not remove Even the TaskManager would not close this application I opened folders to put photo images in and before I could the open folders disappeared Vista upgraded each time I connected to the internet I have become so frustrated with Vista I asked Dell to replace Vista with XP but they said they could not I have reluctantly requested Dell to collect the laptop and refund my money Have other Vista users found similar experiences to me nbsp

A:Dell Vista Laptop frustrations

Your issue (likely software) is most likely Virus\Malware related, have a look here:
UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

But because the Ram was only recently upgraded, there is a high possibility of that:
Please run Memtest on your Ram

I sense a Vista owner who has discovered they do not like Vista after all though
Oh and I came from similar days, but never owned a computer until about 4sim cards of 1meg ram (might have been 2sims cards, can't remember) But involved in computers before that as well

Thread moved from Introduce yourself

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-vista-laptop-frustrations.116705/
Relevancy 36.12%

A number of you have addressed this issue in this expired thread (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/612131-installing-xp-sata-drive-my.html), but I've just confronted it, myself, hence the new thread. I have a supertech helping me; if we (mostly he) figure this out, I'll try to remember to post "how we did it." Thanks for your prior posts in re....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/leaving-vista-for-xp-on-dell-xps-m1330.791015/
Relevancy 36.12%

My Friend bought a second hand PC, 2 months down the line a message has popped up saying it is a non genuine version of vista. she wants to upgrade to Windows 7 Genuine. i have said i will help her but can anyone tell me if an upgrade version of 7 will be ok or does she need to buy the full version and also will there be any probs because the vista is not genuine.
Thanks in anticipation of any help.

A:[SOLVED] Dell PC with Non-Genuine Vista

the vista must be genuine before you can upgrade to win7 your better of doing a clean install.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-dell-pc-with-non-genuine-vista-452055.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Evening All I spent hours today 32 XPS, Dell on The bit can not service be Vista started,...... trying to resolve the issue below If anyone is able to help believe me I will be most greatfull After noticing my system speed dropping over several days I ran AVG and IOBit Malware and got rid of several cookies etc I also cleaned up my drives removing old temporary files etc Due to a concern over security I also renamed my router and reset its and windows passwords This morning I was unable to access either safe mode or normal mode via normal login username and passwords The same for the Adminsitrator account I can only get into normal mode via a biometric Vista 32 bit on Dell XPS, The service can not be started,...... fingerprint scanner Once in windows I am unable to access and service application or task that requires some adminastrive privelidges I can not run reg edt services msconfig I can run CMD but not as Administrator I can access the web but can not install any programs I download I've tried using a couple of password hacks and think I must have viewed a few hundred posts whilst trying to resolve this issue Unfortunately they all assume the ability to get to the UAC be able to change a password or get administrator access I can not All scans for rootkits malware etc come up blank My cd drive won't work and I dont have a installation or repair cd thanks to a recent move So after hours any help welcome No pressure Regards Nobby

A:Vista 32 bit on Dell XPS, The service can not be started,......

I forgot to mention the full error message I get is "The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it".

Task manager now only shows user processes and I cant access the services to modify any.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/523077/vista-32-bit-on-dell-xps-the-service-can-not-be-started/
Relevancy 36.12%

I won a Dell i laptop at the end of October It has Windows Vista Home Premium Dell/Vista boot issues on it I was working on it yesterday and shut down no problem After dinner I went to start it back up and it wouldn t boot First it tried to repair itself then it ran a chkdsk I used the Vista CD from Dell to do a repair but it says there s no OS found Dell/Vista boot issues to repair Now it just continually boots with Windows Boot Manager has experienced a problem File Boot BCD Status xc Info The Windows Boot Configuration Data file does not contain a valid OS entry This is my first experience with Vista has my office is an XP amp Win server shop If I have to reinstall then so be it but there is one folder my email from the desktop that i would like to salvage All other data was on an external usb drive I am downloading the iso for Ulimate Boot CD right now hoping that it can get me in long enogh to recover my folder Am I on the right track Any other suggestions I can t believe this thing is only months old nbsp

Relevancy 36.12%

Hey, Tech Support Forum - Experts.

I'm having so many problems with my P.C., I don't even know where to start. I contacted an expert on Craigslist yesterday and explained what was going on. I asked how much it would cost to fix everything and he said $150.00. If I had the extra money to spend, I would, but I don't. So... my question is, can any of you guys help me? I just want it to be like very first time I turned it on.

Thanks, LastKings.

A:Dell Inspiron 531 - Windows Vista

It should have a reinstall partition to reinstall Windows and all the programs it came with, You'll need to back up any data(Documents, Pictures, etc) that you wish to keep first.> Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 | Dell

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dell-inspiron-531-windows-vista-651287.html
Relevancy 36.12%

After 8 years using Dell desktop utilizing Windows Millennium OS, its time to replace. Dell CRT E770 Monitor still working like new and would like to continue using it. Still have setup drivers CD furnished with computer. Having difficulty clarifying with Dell rep if indeed present monitor will work on a Vista OS. Any successful experiences accomplishing this with details would be appreciated. Thanks.

A:Dell monitor compatibility WM vs Vista

Not sure about the Dell, but I have an old Sun CRT from way way back when that works fine. I think yiurs should br fine, as there are no obvious incompatabilities. The only prob I can see potentially is that your screen res max may be different

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-monitor-compatibility-wm-vs-vista.748679/
Relevancy 36.12%

My friend has a dell computer with vista pre-installed on it. He wants to know if he can take off vista and put on windows xp. Can the computer be reformatted, and put on windows xp on it, and does he need to follow what drivers need to be installed first.

A:[SOLVED] Dell with Vista pre-installed

Hi. . .

Your friend does need to make sure all devices have XP drivers before proceeding. Consult the Device Manager (devmgmt.msc).

Also contact Dell for instructions on downgrade to XP and Windows license issues.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-dell-with-vista-pre-installed-320981.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I'd like to start by apologizing to everyone here at bleepingcomputer, I really feel as though I've insulted you by "leaving" the last thread. I was having some personal issues, that have since been delt with. I more than understand if you do not wish to assist me.Anyways, the computer has been running from time to time over the last few months, all offline. A few memos typed, a few offline games played.The school year is about to start, and we usually get our timings via email at about 2330hrs the night before they happen.Orginal thread found here:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1619083Recently, I tried to follow the most recent steps, but found nothing but 404 errors. I posted and tried the "fix" here:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1896481Full intro to the computer is in the first link.Thank you for your time.Tom.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/341494/dell-laptop-with-vista-no-internet/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hello - I can't seem to find my d drive. lol It has disappeared under my computer and when I put a cd into the drive, nothing happens. Anybody have any idea what could be wrong?

A:d drive disappeared - vista/dell

After checking the power and IDE/SATA cables to be sure they haven't come loose, you can try this (after backing up your registry, of course)

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
4. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
5. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
6. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/d-drive-disappeared-vista-dell-454309.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hello.

Recently, I have a problem printing documents on Vista. I can scan and copy papers fine, but for some reason I can't print documents online. I also have a laptop that can also print from Dell V510. I never had a problem until now.

I also have Iolo System Mechanic and scan for problems daily. Perhaps my anti-virus software must have turned off or deleted a driver that is crucial for my V510 printer to work properly online. File names such as "dlea_device." Would I have to reinstall my Dell V510 printer to work properly again?

I hope somebody can help. Thanks.

SystemLookup - dlea_device

A:Dell V510 not working on Vista

UPDATE: Here are all of my start-up items/drivers. Did I disabled a program that I need for Dell V510 to print properly on my Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/297711-dell-v510-not-working-vista.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Got BSOD on Dell Latitude running Vista.
Stop:0x00000024 .........
Diagnostis Error Code for IDE Disk: 0F00:0244 (5 blocks listed then error code 0F00:1A44. Run chkdsk and scandisk say everything is fine. I have diagnostic and driver CDs but not Vista operating system. CD. I assume the HD needs to be replaced, but is there anyway I can get an Vista OS and download to another computer and then install on Latitude?

Or are there any other ideas?

A:BSOD on Vista on Dell Latitude

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407496/bsod-on-vista-on-dell-latitude/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi,
I can't boot and suspect the system files.

I have a Dell/Vista installation disk that allows repairs.

At command prompt. I have typed sfc /scannow, which will not run because of Windows Resource Protection.

I then tried sfc /scanow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows, and received the same message.

Further, I can't active Services.msc (Windows Modules Installer) to set to manual.

It must be possible to use sfc.

Advice please.

A:Using sfc from command prompt in Dell/Vista CD

Hello anon,

If you like, you could see if doing a system restore at boot using a restore point dated before this happened may be able undo and fix this for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/302858-using-sfc-command-prompt-dell-vista-cd.html