Windows Support Forum

PC doesn't power up after cmos

Q: PC doesn't power up after cmos

First, my computer had BSOD every time i start up my computer so i reset the cmos but after my computer didnt power up at all, no fan, no sound, nothing other then the green light on the mobo when everything is plugged in. I try turning on the computer with another PSU that i had but still nothing. Anyone has any idea what is wrong or what i can do?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: PC doesn't power up after cmos

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: PC doesn't power up after cmos

csjohnjj said:

First, my computer had BSOD every time i start up my computer so i reset the cmos but after my computer didnt power up at all, no fan, no sound, nothing other then the green light on the mobo when everything is plugged in. I try turning on the computer with another PSU that i had but still nothing. Anyone has any idea what is wrong or what i can do?Click to expand...

Hi CS,
did you clear the CMOS by removing, and moving a jumper pin?....if you did make sure that the metal insert (the part that connects the pins) in the jumper didn't fall out or come out of the plastic casing and stay on the second set of pins when you reset the CMOS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-doesnt-power-up-after-cmos.132293/
Relevancy 53.75%

I was playing around with my overclocking settings on my recently new asus p5n-d. It has ai tuning which gives me the option to overclock 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%. I decided after playing around with other overclock settings ( got up around 2.66 ghz without heat issues) to go for the 20% and see how it would run. I picked it, saved to bios and restarted. Upon restarting my bios updated itself (flashed?) and then restarted. Upon restart I have no display yet everything appears to be running. If i remove my ram i get the usual ram beeps, no beeps if i remove my video card. I pulled my cmos battery a few times leaving it out for hours to no avail. My monitor also claims to be getting no input. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Specs:
Asus p5n-d 750i
Intel q6600 G0
Zotac 9600gt 512mb
2x2 gigs OCZ 1066mhz
500gb sata
500w Bluestorm PSU

Thanks
-Alex

A:Blank Screen (Resetting cmos doesn't fix)

Anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blank-screen-resetting-cmos-doesnt-fix.750536/
Relevancy 53.32%

just built the following system GAINWARD ULTRA MB ABIT IN X-MAX s nF i Corsair TwinX GB DDR C Intel Q Quadcore CPU XCLIO WINDTUNNEL BLK unless come doesn't ram I issue clear CMOS - possibly Monitor on CASE NPSU Gb Seagate SATA LiteOn LH- A S- C SATA BLACK CLabs SBS Speakers MS Win Vista Home Prem Bit CORSAIR HX W MODULAR PSU when I first turned it on the screen did not receive a signal After poking about on the net on my old pc I found that reseting the bios could work So I flicked the EZ-CMOS up and down and Monitor doesn't come on unless I clear CMOS - possibly ram issue low and behold It worked The only this is I have to do this every single time I restart the PC It also complains about the CMOS checksum error or something This is my first build so any sugestion will help OK I Monitor doesn't come on unless I clear CMOS - possibly ram issue just noticed something in the start up when It complains about the Checksum thingy it says the memory speed is MHz the Ram this I bought is ment to run at MHz could this be the source of the problem nbsp

A:Monitor doesn't come on unless I clear CMOS - possibly ram issue

A tour through the ABIT manual, or a discussion with the ABIT tech support people should take you to a fix. I suspect you have a minor setup problem, and if you go back through the checklist when rested and not frustrated, you will come down to a solution. I doubt that it is anything serious.
Press the shutdown button for 12 seconds. When off, remove your CMOS battery for a few minutes. Now look for little, but obvious things.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-doesnt-come-on-unless-i-clear-cmos-possibly-ram-issue.81147/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a Dell Dimension 4500
I GET POWER BUT NO BOOT!!!
NO BEEPS!!!
When I power it up with only: The motherboard, Power Supply, Video Card, 1 Stick of RAM, and the Processor I dont get any beeps On the back of the computer the diagnostic codes tell me "Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred." The thing that bothers me is that their is no video out signal, and i am not getting anything on screen. Is thier any way to findo out what is wrong without buying the ram. PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO RESET THE CMOS. Maby that is the problem. The computer has worked before And I dont know what the problem is. It has to be bios/COMS related because nothing is coming up on screen. please help!!!!!

A:I get power but no boot!!! Cmos?

There should be some CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard. There are many instrucitions to do that. Optionally, you can unplug power cord, hold the power button for about 10 secs, remove your CMOS battery (the one inserted in the MB) and wait for about half an hour to be sure.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-get-power-but-no-boot-cmos.741727/
Relevancy 52.89%

Ok so I bought a HP Mini Notebook for my wife Model NR Everything was working fine She goes to boot it yesterday and she gets hit with a password right after the AMI bios screen She asked me if I set the PW I told her no and she said she didn t either No big deal I take it apart and unplug the CMOS battery for about minutes Hold the power button down for a bit to discharge any left over juice Put it all back together and Unplugging battery work. BIOS doesn't CMOS password. same thing So I tried to leave it out for over hours and the same thing I even tried various AMI master passwords I knew it wouldnt work but you BIOS password. Unplugging CMOS battery doesn't work. know how desperate we get So now I m stuck I googled it today and found various information Most leading me to believe I am stuck with a paperweight or will have to send it to HP to have it fixed which will run me almost what I paid for it So am I missing something here Anything else I can do Thanks guys nbsp

A:BIOS password. Unplugging CMOS battery doesn't work.

Well I can tell you that removing the battery will NOT clear a pw on a laptop. This is a security feature. Next we do not assist with pw help. This thread is now closed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-password-unplugging-cmos-battery-doesnt-work.884981/
Relevancy 52.46%

Just got a replacement laptop from eBay. (Hehe, I know) It doesn't power on, or rather I here something but not the normal grind of a laptop turning on. I've heard it might be the CMOS battery, and if this is the case, where is it located on a Trek Transport II ?

Thanks!

A:Comp won't power on - CMOS Battery?

I do not think that it is the CMOS battery.

If the battery and Power Brick are not Kaput, you have some other more serious problem. I would not 'hehe' just yet.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/comp-wont-power-on-cmos-battery.312541/
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a newer PC and trying to diagnose the problem. It was working fine for four months. I have had it turned off for nearly two months due to traveling and other activities. I powered it up and the Power Supply fan operates...the CPU fan operates...but that is it. Will not boot up. The hard drive light is a constant yellow (I know not all PCs have a light like this).

I switched out hard drives....same results. I've checked all connections but no help.

I hate to think a motherboard went bad on this thing.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!!

Mike

A:CMOS Battery or Power Supply or Something Else?

Try to reseat the processor, vid card, and memory. If all else fails take out everything but the processor, memory, and vid card and try to boot it with a startup disk

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery-or-power-supply-or-something-else.45279/
Relevancy 52.46%

Whenever I power up this new machine (from being completely switched off from the back) the CMOS looses its contents, reverts to default and says "CMOS Checksum Error - F1 to Continue DEL for Setup". After that its fine (even if you don't touch the settings). Once you set the date time, it runs fine and retains its contents even on reboot or if you switch it off from the front (which I'm assuming is a standby mode cos the green LED on the board is still on)... that is, until you completely power off from the back, then it loses its settings - again!
I'm assuming its the little silver battery which is probably dead (weird considering its a new motherboard) but as I don't really keep up to date with technology anymore like I used to, I can't be sure. Can someone please confirm this?

A:CMOS Checksum Error On Power Up

Check to make sure that the cmos clear jumper is there and in the right position.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cmos-checksum-error-on-power-up-74468.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello I have a desktop Dell Inspiron XP SP that was gaining time and dropping my internet connection often It's about years old so I figured it was replacing CMOS synch Time work battery tool after doesn't past time to change the CMOS battery and did so When I restarted I attempted to synchronize Time synch tool doesn't work after replacing CMOS battery with adjust date time It informed me that Windows could not synchronize for security reasons because my date did not match and to adjust the date and try again Sure enough I hadn't noticed but the date was reading So I manually adjusted to both the correct date and correct time and tried again and got the same message So then I went into BIOS setup BIOS showed both the correct date and time This isn't a big issue at this point I guess because the time in both BIOS and on my desktop are showing the correct date and time and I no longer seem to be gaining time or dropping my internet connection since I replaced the battery and I can manually adjust the date and time However it bothers me that I cannot seem to synchronize with an internet time server because it keeps saying that the date does not match I have tried various time servers including pool ntp org Any ideas would be very welcome

A:Time synch tool doesn't work after replacing CMOS battery

Have you reset the computers time?  If it is off many things being time dependent will not work.  AV's and security programs will not update! Just in case right the time and date in the task bar and set it to current date and time. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/568779/time-synch-tool-doesnt-work-after-replacing-cmos-battery/
Relevancy 52.03%

My dell 8100xps was giving a CMOS bad sum error see above in the title please help so I went on dell website printed help and followed instructions watched Johnny hung on YouTube he walked me through the whole process I completed the pr ocess and hooked up all power and cables nothing

A:Changed CMOS battery and jumpers now won't power on at all

Why would you think it was necessary to change any jumpers? Restore them back as they originally set.After that, boot into the BIOS (setup) and try setting to default values. Date and time need to be set to current values.message edited by OtheHill

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/changed-cmos-battery-and-jumpers-now-wont-power-on-at-all/19481.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have an ASUS notebook running windows 7 64-bit. I am using the QuietOffice power profile, however the screensaver won't kick in no matter what I do, and the display does not turn off even though I set it to be after 5-minutes of inactivity. I don't know if there is something running in the background... I have turned off my usb wireless mouse, and nothing....

Any ideas?

THanks.

A:HELP: power option doesn't work - screen saver doesn't start!

This is another case of factory bloatware interfering - in this case a useless factory utility overriding Win7's superior built-in version.

Googling the Quiet Office feature of Asus there are multiple reported problems. Best to default to the Win7 built-in Power Options in Control Panel. Set up a Balanced Plan unless you're a gamer then use High Performance.

Here are other tips for cleaning up factory bloatware

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/144080-help-power-option-doesnt-work-screen-saver-doesnt-start.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hey guys,
I just came back from college and my computer has been packed away in the closet for over 3 months. I plugged everything in today, and upon pressing the power button, the fans spin up and stay on, but the computer doesn't do anything more.
On the back of the computer, a red light that says CLR CMOS is on. The power LED's in the front are not on.

Also, it's an ASrock p67 extreme 4 mobo
Looking inside, their is a code that is displayed on the mobo "A3" and the Power and Reset lights are also lit up

Any help would be appreciated!

Relevancy 51.6%

Sorry for the length as I tried to make this as short as I could while giving what I believe is essential information Back in late - early I built a socket system running Windows XP The case I used Power Issues? or CMOS Something Else Causing Battery, Supply, was a Thermalrock which was a division of Thermaltake The case itself was well made but the start CMOS Battery, Power Supply, or Something Else Causing Issues? button was housed in extremely cheap material and through normal CMOS Battery, Power Supply, or Something Else Causing Issues? wear broke ever so easily the case was an expensive mistake So I was forced to remove the start CMOS Battery, Power Supply, or Something Else Causing Issues? button from its housing there was absolutely no way to fix When this happened the system would not start up when the now unhoused button was engaged I had to reach around the back turn off the power supply turn it back on and then press the power button It would then start but I had to do this every time Three years ago I built an i system and the socket with a few exceptions lay dormant since then realizing it is almost years old Last week my dad wants me to build him a system but I decided to see if these parts were serviceable Besides it would be better than his laptop that runs Vista and at years of age he basically only uses his system to do family research video streaming listening to online music and his favorite internet talk shows So I bought a HAF and I am going to upgrade him to Windows yes I have installed gigs of RAM I migrated everything over to the HAF and here is what I have run into no I have not upgraded to yet The CMOS does not appear to retain any of the changes I have made I e once had a floppy drive a long time ago but it shows it is enabled installed I disabled but on the next start-up it shows it enabled again so I disable again and on the next start up its repeat and rinse When the system initially loads it goes so far and then it stops and at the bottom it says Press F to continue and DEL for set-up every time It continues on to what I chose to load either Windows or it enters BIOS Turn on PSU hit start button nothing just like before One out of Blue leds on mobo indicating the board is powered is on Turn off power supply and then turn it back on press start button and system boots up but this time the additional mobo leds come on Then it proceeds to point The PSU voltages are all within normal I ran every Seagate SeaTools tests they have and the Hard Drive passed them all without any issues at all Your thoughts advice please on what I probably have missed need to try CMOS battery psu both and or something else Thanks nbsp

A:CMOS Battery, Power Supply, or Something Else Causing Issues?

I would replace the CMOS battery and see if the bios changes are properly saved. If not, the realtime clock chip is probably gone, meaning it is time to upgrade the CPU and motherboard. 939 boards may be extremely rare now

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cmos-battery-power-supply-or-something-else-causing-issues.213589/
Relevancy 51.6%

I just got this intel 845G mobo ... I couldn't get it to power up until I removed the CMOS battery for a few seconds then put it back. Why is that? How do I correct it?

Thank you for your time.

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi on cmos Dv6700 reset laptop power after wont recieved this laptop with it turning on with only black screen Power leds were on along with the quick play and battery lights Fan was running No show on external monitor Removed Dv6700 laptop wont power on after cmos reset battery and wireless card Hooked it back up to AC power and it booted up all the way Problem was when it went in sleep mode Dv6700 laptop wont power on after cmos reset it wouldnt respond Had to remove battery and AC power then reconnect them to get it back on Decided to do the reset thing Removed battery cmos battery and AC power then held down power button for seconds After that i left it alone for about an hour Replaced all the batteries and connected it back to AC power and now nothing No response at all No power lights except for the blue ring at the dc jack Battery light comes on for about minutes then goes out No fan or hard drive spin What happened How did reseting the cmos and static discharge proceedure make it do this Im lost Any ideas Thanks nbsp

A:Dv6700 laptop wont power on after cmos reset

Yeah I had the same problem. I Don't know u laptop or desktop model, but exist a Crisis Recovery Disk.

If you put your model maybe can extend the information about.

zeta27 cambio y fuera.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dv6700-laptop-wont-power-on-after-cmos-reset.144581/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello. I'm new to this forum, and I'm not super experienced, so I hope I'm not overlooking something basic or don't understand something, but here's my question:

I set the "supervisor password" and the "user password" in the BIOS set-up in windows xp professional (pavilion a1010, p4). After turning off the computer and then powering it back up, I am not prompted for the "user password" (which is the power-on password, right?). I am, however, prompted for the "supervisor password", if I try to enter BIOS set-up, indicating to me that the CMOS battery is good. When I do enter BIOS set-up the "supervisor password" and the "user password" are still indicated to be "enabled". Any insights on why my computer is not prompting me for the power-on password would much appreciated. Thank you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-prompt-for-power-on-password-%C2%97-cmos-battery-seems-to-be-good.570014/
Relevancy 50.31%

So I is replaced battery resets unplugged power everytime BIOS cmos have a machine I have just replaced the mobo on for someone but everytime it is unplugged from the wall upon reboot a message appears during post saying default values have been loaded and you have to press F to enter setup BIOS resets everytime power is unplugged cmos battery replaced bios or F to continue I thought this was no big problem and swiftly replaced the CMOS battery but it is exactly the same resets everytime power is cut The board is an MSI B MA-P BIOS resets everytime power is unplugged cmos battery replaced and is brand new Thankfully the default sata mode is AHCI so the machine still boots after reset but its really annoying me and the clock resetting stops WU from working and also threw a temp activation problem that was easily dealt with HWinfo does not show VBatt reading and speedfan does but reports V which is clearly wrong from a V battery Any thoughts ideas would be gratefully received as im running out of options other than an RMA which is going to be a major pain as this is her only computer and cant be without it

A:BIOS resets everytime power is unplugged cmos battery replaced

Just some thoughts.

***Why was the motherboard replaced??***

1. Is their a default jumper pin on the motherboard that is in the wrong position.
2. I have seen a power supply cause this problem.
3. Lately HWmonitor for other members has been giving wrong readings.
4. It has been know that a infection will monkey with the time so one can't get help on line.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/369062-bios-resets-everytime-power-unplugged-cmos-battery-replaced.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Toshiba Satellite A25-S2792 w/ XP & P4 has greenpower chord is lit and yellow battery light is flashing when power chord is plugged in. After I press the power button, the power chord light changes to yellow, begins flashing and the battery light goes out. Removing the battery gives the same results. Pressing and holding power button down for 20 seconds w/ battery out yields same result as well. Suggestions?

A:A25-S2792 doesn't power up yellow light flashes after pressing power button

The motherboard is bad. Have you tried reseating the memory?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a25-s2792-doesnt-power-up-yellow-light-flashes-after-pressing-power-button.158750/
Relevancy 50.31%

The system's fan was very loud so I put in a new power supply and then everything booted up fine. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. It was the Motherboard fan making all the noise.

So, I put the old power supply back in and now the system doesn't power up at all. I checked all connections & I replaced the power cord and tried a different electrical outlet.

I even put the new P/S back in and nothing changed. It still doesn't power up. It's dead!

Any suggestions?

A:My Dell Dimension 4550 won't power up. New P/S, power cord, etc. doesn't help.?

gbsdirect said:

It was the Motherboard fan making all the noiseClick to expand...

Do you mean the CPU fan ?
If so then I wonder if the CPU has been cooked

I would start by dispersing all internal voltage.
Detach the power cord
Press the power button in for 20 seconds
Re=attach the power cord
Try again

If it didn't fix then remove all addons, usb devices really anything attached (except screen and keyboard and power cord)
And try again

If it didn't fix then, confirm all internal connections are secure (even detach the dvd drive{s}

If it didn't fix then try disconnecting all fans (what !) for about 10 secs (turning on) I once had a fan of all things, that stopped my computer from turning on (unbelievable, I know)

Lastly, check the CPU for heat damage !

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dell-dimension-4550-wont-power-up-new-p-s-power-cord-etc-doesnt-help.96398/
Relevancy 47.73%

This is only happening about every 10 tenth time I start the computer. When the computer is turned on, a message is displayed (white text and black background) that the "CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad, CMOS Date/Time Note Set, Press <F4> to Run SETUP".
Windows XP is started and the time for the computer is set to January 1, 2002 01:00AM. I can manually change the date/time in Windows to the correct time. However, this is happening only occasionally. How can I prevent this from happening?
I have ran anti-virus scan and no viruses were found. Also, downloaded the latest version of Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy and scanned the computer, nothing was found. Ran Disk Defragmenter and ScanDisk and no errors were found.

A:Solved: CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad, CMOS Date/Time Not Set - Only happens sometimes

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cmos-gpnv-checksum-bad-cmos-date-time-not-set-only-happens-sometimes.379205/
Relevancy 46.44%

Dear experts, I run  a small business from home, today my main computer wouldn't boot up, I checked the error messages and it tells me that the CMOS settings are wrong and also that the CMOS memory size is wrong, I am not that computer literate and every time something like this goes wrong it costs me money that right now I cant afford, the operating system is XP, please could one of you wise people tell me what I need to do to put the problem right ?, a mugs guide would be appreciated step by step preferably, failing that do I need to get the computer seen by an engineer ?, I do hope note as I am officially signed of work with anxiety and depression and don't need too much extra stress or hasle at the moment.

A:CMOS Settings & CMOS memory size on XP please help.

Post the exact wording of the on-screen messages, please.  And tell us exactly when they appear onscreen.

Thanks .

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563852/cmos-settings-cmos-memory-size-on-xp-please-help/
Relevancy 44.72%

This is a first...

A friend was visiting for three days and a few things seemed to change. He shut off my monitor when not using the PC. It didn't come back on when I hit the power, so I hit the menu button and tried to get the thing up & running. I didn't get into the monitor's menu.

That's the only thing that was done differently. Now XP asks for the CMOS setting every time I boot up. It asks for standard (F1) or advanced (F2). When I do the standard setting, my computer starts back to the year 2002 at 12pm.

How can I get things back to normal, when I turn the PC on and it boots up in XP like always?

THANK YOU!
Joe

A:CMOS setting: XP won't boot w/o going through CMOS

If the date changes, chances are that the CMOS battery needs to be replaced. Just a co-incidence on timing and your friend, I'd say.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-setting-xp-wont-boot-w-o-going-through-cmos.673978/
Relevancy 43.86%

I have a HP G72 the power light for power supply comes on **bleep**.

A:Doesn't power on

Hi @mikewv, Welcome to the HP Forums! I read your post on the HP Support Forums and wanted to reach out to you.  I see your HP G72 Notebook will not start correctly. Try performing a Hard ResetWhen performing a hard reset please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices.Here is a link to computer won't start for Windows.Plug the power adapter directly into a different wall outlet. Do not plug it into a power strip, surge protector, or secondary power source as this could cause and issue. Please get back to me how this goes. Please click the Thumbs up below to thank me for my efforts! I Thanks. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Doesn-t-power-on/td-p/5592624
Relevancy 43.86%

I have an HP Pavilion 8562 I just bought off someone. It came without the HD, but with all the other original componants. When I hit the power button nothing happens, the light might flash, but the power supply does not start up. When I got it the big 8-pin thing was oput of the mobo, but I plugged it back in. It will not scan thdrives, or go to bios, or even make any noise or bring anything up on the screen. Assuming it is not dead, any suggestions? This is why I hate manufatured computers.

A:Doesn't Power Up

Can you move the suspect power supply to another box and test ? Can you move a good PSU to the failed box and test ? The PSU is the first component I would prove/disprove. (It would be better to test the suspect one on another, working box, as the failed box could have multiple problems which a good PSU might not fix and the results, therefore, could be misleading.)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/doesnt-power-up.73981/
Relevancy 43.86%

i have an old PC (p3 450MHz) that i was going to use to volunteer to teach kids about computers - parts, software, etc...i plugged it in and hit the power button and nothing...no noise, no lights, nothing...it would be the same as taking a tower not plugged and hitting the power button - nothing happens...

so, i was wondering what it might be and what can i do to test what is wrong? is it the power supply, motherboard, or something else?

any tips are greatly appreciated...

Relevancy 43.43%

After my friend's laptop wouldn't run on battery power OR charge the battery I tried many "fixes."

Shockingly none worked that I found.

Only one thing worked for me to my surprise.

A last ditch effort was to open up the laptop (sony pcg-81114L) and disconnect the cmos battery for a few minutes to reset the CMOS.

To my surprise, when powered on, the battery instantly showed it was charging AND when removing the power plug the battery POWERS the laptop now! (and I'd thought I was wasting my time.)

Worked with an off brand battery also.

Many times this has saved many computers that have odd "unsolvable" things wrong with them.

Surely someone else has done this also but I haven't seen it posted anywhere to my knowledge.

Thank GOD for bringing the idea to remembrance!

A:sony vaio won't charge battery or run on battery power (CMOS BATTERY FIX!)

Hi askfault,
Do you have any information on how this fixes the battery problem? would be interested to know.

Xen

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/511609/sony-vaio-wont-charge-battery-or-run-on-battery-power-cmos-battery-fix/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have hp laptop pavilion product K L EA A N Problem- won't turn on If some time on and open desktops screen after few minutes power off Even I have used several tips but won't resolve this issues I removed battery disconnected power source plug and press sec to consumed magnetic currents After words I try several times but not power on some time power get on and within sec power off again In month of Sep I have updated windows after installation only fee days work on laptop doesn't power my properly later started problem with my laptop then I return to my previous windows by using recovery options Since this day facing problem When I freed up I left my laptop for month and try again but still the problem is happening I don't know what exactly the issues i realized that I did mistakes by upgrading window Please help me what to do should I take this laptop to repair shop or any options to fix this Thanks

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/my-laptop-doesn-t-power-on/td-p/5831501
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi guys I ve spent today building a pc for myself However on pressing the on button there s no reaction at all My machine specs are M B - Gigabyte GA- A-UD Processor - AMD RAM - Corsair Gb DDR Case - Zalman Z Graphics card - Gigabyte HD PSU - Corsair CX M W Wi-fi card also installed but can t remember the name and seem to have temporarily lost the box in a pile of packaging So far I ve checked the CPU and motherboard power sockets the wall plug sockets and the power cord to my PSU I ve also checked the connections between my case and the motherboard and these all appear to be correct on power build PC doesn't As part of this final point I switched the power on LED with the power button they both originate from the same location so thought they may be mixed up Anyhows I got a solid LED which suggests to me that a there s power running through the switch circuit and b the pc isn t booting when told to as a PC build doesn't power on solid LED would indicate PC build doesn't power on circuit completion which would be the equivalent of holding in the on button If anybody could shed any light on where to go next I d be eternally grateful currently searching the house for a paperclip to test the PSU nbsp

A:PC build doesn't power on

Does the CPU and case fans move at all, when pressing the power button?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-build-doesnt-power-on.198098/
Relevancy 43.43%

My less than one year Phoenix was working properly, but this morning after I woke up I cannot fire it up. I pressed the power switch but nothing happened. No sound of hard drive nor fan. The green like on the back of tower was solid when power cable was plugged in. It would turn off in couple seconds after the power cable is detached. I have read through the forum and most of people's problem was with the PSU or MB. Any idea what could be the problem in my case? Or anywhere I can go to have someone troubleshoot my PC for me?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-Phoenix-doesn-t-power-up/td-p/5617745
Relevancy 43.43%

Dear Fellow Users I am kindly asking for your help I have an HP DV T- C laptop which doesn't power up at all I have read various forum threads and laptop up doesn't HP power they did not solve my problem that's why I'm opening a new one It started about two weeks ago when it didn't want to wake up from sleeping only after removing battery and plugging the charger in It seemed odd so I did backup from everything Ever since then it does not power up at all When I plug the charger in without battery the charger indicator light is on with a steady white If battery is in the result the same If I have the battery disconnected from the laptop for a while the light is orange meaning that it's charging and it becomes white meaning that it's fully charged I tried various solutions to solve the problem including the following - disconnecting every external device - power up with only battery - power up without battery but with charger - hard reset for sec sec mins holding the power button - removing one RAM module another and both - removing hard drive - removing optical drive - checking ZIF connectors - holding the power button for sec No fan sound no beep sounds no emergency LEDs Caps Lock and Num Lock nothing except for the charger indicator light Also I can feel the power button is working I happen to have a multimeter and with that HP laptop doesn't power up I was able to exclude the charger as a possible cause since its voltage is within norm I have two guesses the motherboard and the CPU Unfortunately I have no replacing capabilities to check them without being sure which is the cause The challenge is open for everyone thank you for your answers in advance

A:HP laptop doesn't power up

Some laptops won't power up if the battery is not working, but I doubt that's the issue in your case. So far I've only seen that on Medion laptops, and I own a HP myself - pretty sure it should work without a battery.

That is indeed a rather intriguing issue. Seems like you're stuck in a difficult position.
I would normally suspect some kind of hardware fault such as motherboard failure. It could be something much simpler such as faulty power jack, which I doubt since the little light comes on.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Try a different charger, was yours ever getting very hot?

2. Remove the battery AND the CMOS battery and do a hard reset, then plug the charger in (without CMOS or the laptop's battery) THIS WILL ERASE YOUR BIOS SETTINGS. Doing so on my laptop would cause it to power up without having to press the power button.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/350064-hp-laptop-doesnt-power-up.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Whenever I tell windows to turn off computer everything happens normally: it gives me the windows shutdown screen and the monitor loses input, but the computer never powers down. It sits there fans going indefinitely and the little LEDs I have on my RAM flicker a bit, indicating some form of activity. How do I fix this problem?

A:PC doesn't power off on shutdown

Does anyone have a theory at least? I thought it might be some setting I need to change in the BIOS, but I can't find the right one.

Also, if this isn't the right place to post this thread then please direct me to one that is more appropriate.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/pc-doesnt-power-off-on-shutdown-265963.html
Relevancy 43.43%

MY computer is a compaq presario s0000 and it keeps shutting down on me now the power is on but the fan over the processor is not spinning and the monitor is not showing the green light by the fan and the power cord blinks over and over again how can i fix this i tried cleaning it and checking if any of the wire are lose but nothing seems to work

A:My conputer doesn't not want to power on

It sounds like either a power supply problem of some sort or possibly a problem with the motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-conputer-doesnt-not-want-to-power-on.1025475/
Relevancy 43.43%

Good day all! Here's the scoop! I've installed WindowsMe last week. It froze all the time for various reasons. So I was reseting all the time, but two days ago, I had to shut it down with the power switch. I did that a few times because the reset wasn't reponding. So at lunch today, I tried to go to check my msconfig, but my computer remains off. I've looked at the cables, changed cables, no good. I think it's the battery in the motherboard, but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance for any tips!!

Relevancy 43.43%

I moved my computer to a different part of the room and tried booting up and nothing happens. I took off the cover and noticed the blower fan (fan that cools the inside) goes on for a brief moment then shuts off and then nothing...

Could it be the power supply or power switch?

Thanks

A:Computer doesn't power up

when you moved your computer it is very possible some wiring got displaced. i would open up the case. verify that everything is in order. the cables connected properly ect ect.

pay special attention to the power supply

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-doesnt-power-up.59922/
Relevancy 43.43%

GeForce6600GT AGP = Bullshi*

Hi, I'm having a little trouble with my GeForce 6600gt (club3d) agp videocard.

I first plugged it in, beeps. I noticed my Power Supply didn't have enough output for the card (put my Radeon 9600 back in, ordered new one)

Well, later I received a new Sweex 400W power supply.

The GeForce worked fine, until it complained about not getting enough power.

How?!

I unplugged my floppy disk drive, it didn't complain about it on Windows startup, but later, after playing some games it started to complain *again*.

Is this a trouble within the card or do I just need to get a new power supply (again)?

A:GeForce6600GT AGP - Doesn't get enough power

it could be a defective card or it could be the power supply yuo bought is substandard. all PSU's are not equal. many of them deliver less that HALF of what their ratings say once they have warmed up. that is why it is best to buy a good brand name PSU, like antec, Vantec, etc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/geforce6600gt-agp-doesnt-get-enough-power.40149/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi, My Hp hp 15-c001dx doesn't power up any more. I connected the power cable when I got a 10% battery left warning. And right as I connected it power off. It doesn't power up any more. I tried hard resetting(holding hte power button for 20-30 sec and also holding the power and volume buttons for 20-30sec) but did't work. I am out of waranty too. What should I do?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hp-hp-15-c001dx-doesn-t-power-up-any-more/td-p/5644043
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello folks.My elitebook worked perfectly until one morning when I turned it on. On pressing the power button, the power indicator shows a white light, then the WiFi LED comes on (red and quickly changes to blue) and the HDD indicator comes on (red). The WiFi indicator also comes on. After a few seconds, the sleep indicator comes on and the laptop goes off. No display, no hdd sound, no fan sound, just the above. Please help me out.Thanks!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/My-Elitebook-doesn-t-power-up/td-p/5852410
Relevancy 43.43%

The puzzle.
eclectic.
The desktop doesn't power off at shut down from Windows 10.
Shutting down from Puppy switches everything off.
Like what it used to do.
The procedure has been to pull the power cable from the pc and then back in.
After System shuts down.
For next time...
But Puppy turns it all off.
Go Puppy.

Any thoughts,
s.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/doesnt-power-off-at-shut-down.307309/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a Dell 1905FP, and I want it to power down automatically when my computer goes into standby mode or powers off. Instead, the LCD floats a standard status panel, similar to what I get if I unplug the video cable with the LCD still powered on.

I'm certain there's a way for the computer to send a power off or "green mode" signal to the LCD, but I'm not finding anything helpful...

A:LCD doesn't power down with computer

Right click on desktop -> properties ->screensaver ->power.. -> turn off monitor

select the same time that your pc idles before it either powers off or goes into standby.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lcd-doesnt-power-down-with-computer.53690/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi nbsp I have a new Lenovo Thinkpad x Carbon th gen since March under warranty and I've got power on problems sincetoday nbsp My laptop was out of battery during the night and turns out Today I plug the AC adapter and try to turn it on but nothing happend I leave the laptop charging until the power led indicator were green indicates that the battery is full Same problem laptop won't start I try to press sec to sec on the power on button to turn off on but nothing happends I try to press sec to sec on the hard reset switch close to the battery then try o power on nbsp but nothing happends I try to remove le battery connector press for a while the power on button but nothing happends nbsp When I plug the ac adapter the led of the power on buton blink times nbsp Manufacter Part No FCS N nbsp Any other idea nbsp Sorry for my very bad english nbsp Best regards Solved Go to Solution

A:x1 Carbon (4th gen) doesn't power on

Problem solved!I have to remove the coil-cell battery and the battery, plug the AC adapter and turn on. I hope it'll help. Best regards

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/x1-Carbon-4th-gen-doesn-t-power-on/td-p/3326949
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi,

I have this motherboard whose identity I havent yet been able to discover but basically it doesn't power up. It has a P-iii 450MHz CPU and I have verified that the CPU and power supply are good. What I found was that the power LED would glow and the CPU power fan would rotate for a 3 seconds. I took out the CPU and the LED/fan were on for 5-6 seconds longer but then went dead. Problem with the capacitors ??

What could be wrong ? Any help would be appreciated.

Thankx

A:Motherboard Doesn't Power up

Make sure the PSU is connected tightly to the motherboard. If that is a loose connection it could be getting some power, just not enough.

BTW,
:wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-doesnt-power-up.7708/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi everyone First I want to thank you for the great job you do in this forum I have a on doesn't Board power PackardBell Vesuvio laptop I had problems with the previous motherboard it couldn t power on so I bought a used board in eBay But this one has a strange problem it can Board doesn't power on t power up Board doesn't power on if the power cable is plugged in with battery inserted If I remove the power cable it can boot up and works fine After powering on successfully I can insert the power cable and battery begin to charge without any problem The power supply is ok it outputs V as it should Is it possible that something inside the laptop is being shorted out when I plug the power preventing the laptop to boot up I don t know if the used motherboard I bought was faulty or something else is happening All other components seem to work fine I d be grateful if you have any ideas about this problem nbsp

A:Board doesn't power on

I don't work much with laptops, but power related issues are generally a motherboard function. If a laptop boots with/without a battery, or with/without AC connected, it typically implies a motherboard malfunction.

Hopefully someone with more experience can confirm.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/board-doesnt-power-on.1117302/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi I power Solved: PC on doesn't have a PC that was running fine earlier today Left it on while I went out for minutes and when I came back it was powered off Hit the Power button but nothing -- it didn t even light up blue like normal The CPU fan didn Solved: PC doesn't power on t spin and the hard drive didn t power up No lights on the motherboard but I don t ever recall seeing lights there anyway The CPU heatsink Solved: PC doesn't power on under the fan was covered in dust so it seems to be an overheating cause I cleaned it off vacuum dust spray but still won t power on Sounds like a dead power supply right That s what I thought but the SD card reader in the front of the case has its light on when the power switch is set to on so power Solved: PC doesn't power on is getting there somehow Took apart the power supply to check for anything obvious but nothing Also removed the CMOS battery for minutes to see if that helped but no Maybe it s a dead motherboard I really don t know Suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 43.43%

I have a brand new HP Elitebook 745 G3 that doesn't power on. I've tried 3 known working AC adapters, unseated/reseated the battery, held down the power button for 15-30 seconds (to discharge power) without the battery or power connected, replaced the RAM (there's on 8GB module installed), replaced the power button board, and replaced the sytem board twice. Whenever an AC adapter is connected, the power and CAPS lock buttons flash continuously (white). The mute and wirless LEDs are solid (wireless LED is amber and the mute botton is white). The fan spins for a second and then it goes out.I've unseated/reseated the hard drive and removed the wireless module.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-Elitebook-745-G3-Doesn-t-Power-On/td-p/5823602
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi,

Ive got a Sat Pro and when i plug it in the mains the light on the charger comes on but the laptop doesn't power up at all.
If i take the battery out the laptop and plug it into the mains, its still dead.

Any help, greatly appreciated.
Danny

A:Satellite Pro M60-164 doesn't power up at all

Hi

It seams that this has nothing to do with power mains but with an internal hardware problem on the mobo.
I think you should firstly check the both memory modules inside the notebook.
If the notebook would not power up even using new modules, then other parts like CPU or motherboard should be checked.

Sorry but this is everything what I could suggest you.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?54079-Satellite-Pro-M60-164-doesn-t-power-up-at-all
Relevancy 43.43%

I am kindly asking for your help I have an HP DV T- C laptop which doesn t power up at all I have up doesn't HP power laptop read various forum threads and they did not solve my problem that s why I m opening a new one It started about two weeks ago when HP laptop doesn't power up it didn t want to wake up from sleeping only after removing battery and plugging the charger in It seemed odd so I did backup from everything Ever since then it does not power up at all When I plug the charger in without battery the charger indicator light is on with a steady white If battery is in the result the same If I have the battery disconnected from the laptop for a while the light is orange meaning that it s charging and it becomes white meaning that it s fully charged I tried various solutions to solve the problem including the following - disconnecting every external device - power up with only battery - power up without battery but with charger - hard reset for sec sec mins holding the power button - removing one RAM module another and both - removing hard drive - removing optical drive - checking ZIF connectors - holding the power button for sec No fan sound no beep sounds no emergency LEDs Caps Lock and Num Lock nothing except for the charger indicator light Also I can feel the power button is working I happen to have a multimeter and with that I was able to exclude the charger as a possible cause since its voltage is within norm I have two guesses the motherboard and the CPU Unfortunately I have no replacing capabilities to check them without being sure which is the cause The challenge is open for everyone thank you for your answers in advance nbsp

Relevancy 43.43%

The power switch on my Compaq Deskpro went faulty, so I bought a replacement generic switch. Installation seemed no problem, when I switch on power lights come on, but only for a few seconds, then system shuts down. I don't think I did any other damage when replacing the switch. What should I check out?

Relevancy 43.43%

Hi everyone as the subject says I have a problem with my computer the display doesn't turn off after the configured time set in the active power plan The screensaver works fine so it's not that for example a mouse is giving random input Also when I shut down the computer the display jumps to powersaving so the display works fine I've already tried a lot of things to solve it doesn't Monitor power off and I hope that someone can help because I don't know what to do know Things I've tried - Set a different time in the power plan set time time to disabled and enabled again - Disable all wakeon devices by using powercfg - Install a generic monitor driver instead of the Samsun B one - Use the secondary DVI port - Update to the latest Nvidia drivers for my GT - Run Vista with Monitor doesn't power off all programs disabled both tried msconfig and safemode - Use the latest BIOS for my motherboard S mode is set to enabled according to powercfg - Installed the latest Intel INF Monitor doesn't power off files - Create a new power plan - Tried a different screensaver So what can I try now thanks

A:Monitor doesn't power off

Hi Peekstra,

Welcome to Vista Forums.

Double check to make sure that the monitor is set to shutdown at least 1 minute before the computer is set to sleep in Power Options.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/128207-monitor-doesnt-power-off.html
Relevancy 43%

Hi guys I ve had this problem with my PC now for the last few weeks When I power up my computer it doesn t switch on immediately and didn t come on until around mins later This mins then doesn't power up immediately Computer became mins When the computer did power on however everythign was fine and I could access all my files etc properly I suspected that it may be the PSU or MB I opened it up and first took the MB s battery out and then put it back in again after mins This didn t do anything At this point I had brought the computer downstairs Then I decided to make sure the whole tower was free of dust etc and then try it All of a sudden it started to work correctly i e I could switch it off and then when I switch it on again it would come on right away I Computer doesn't power up immediately took it upstairs again and the same problem started again During Computer doesn't power up immediately all this however the motherboards green power light is always on and I can t see any warning lights or obvious areas of damage to it My dad then took the battery of the MB out again and put it back in again and then it started coming on immediately again However I went to try it again and guess what it s not powering up at all now again What do you think may be the cause of this Is a new PSU in order When I manage to get into BIOS In the Hardware Monitor section the voltages are all indicated as being correct i e where it says it should be it is and where it says it is etc The CPU s temp is around C and the motherboards is C I havent installed any new software etc and dont think I have any viruses as I hardly have anything on my computer as it is But I installed a Netgear USB Wireless device which kept hanging forcing me to keep on having to switch my computer off from the power button as opposed to shutting it down through windows I have since uninstalled this Your ideas suggestions will be much appreciated Thanks Sukhraj Intel P GHz Asus P S X MB MB RAM Windows XP IDE Gb HDD nbsp

A:Computer doesn't power up immediately

There is a jumper you can reset so you don't have to remove the battery for 5 minutes every time.

I don't know what the problem would be, but it is easier to replace or try another PSU than it is to replace the motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-doesnt-power-up-immediately.72638/
Relevancy 43%

I am fixing a PC for a friend; their power supply went bad, so i switched it but now the PC will NOT turn on using the front PC button but rather it turns on when i plug in the cable in the Power Supply.

& Furthermore, it shows nothing on the monitor when it turns on...

The Power Supply Fan is working, CD Drive open normally & i can hear the Hard drive moving...

Can you guys give me a bit of advance on what i should do next please?

A:Power button doesn't work with new PSU

Are you sure you plugged all the connectors correctly? The PC not switching on from the front button would seem to indicate the power switch is not plugged into the motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-button-doesnt-work-with-new-psu.179854/
Relevancy 43%

I have tried all that I know .. even went back a month with my MAXTOR ONE Touch .... Please Help ..This is REALLY buging me.

Thanks !

A:Windows XP Pro Doesn't Power Down, Reboots Instead.

Take a look here

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-pro-doesnt-power-down-reboots-instead.341052/
Relevancy 43%

I have a Dell E310 with XP in which I just installed a VisionTek X1550 PCI graphics card. The card seems to work fine. My issue is that since I installed the card, the monitor will not turn off when my computer tries to go to Stand-by mode. Instead, the Dell Self-test Feature Check just slowly migrates across the screen. I believe the OS is sending the signal to turn off the monitor because the STFC would only appear when the monitor no longer detects the graphics card. So it's like the OS is shutting down the graphics card, but the signal doesn't reach the monitor to power it off (change the power button from green to amber and set the screen completely black). I would really like to get this working again. Does anyone know how to correct this? Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-doesnt-power-off-in-stand-by.669112/
Relevancy 43%

Hi. I have a hp printer (deskjet 540) that now refuses to do so much as turn on. Is there anything i can try before resorting to a new one? (and yes, it's plugged in.)

Thanks,
Jenna

A:printer doesn't power on- any hope?

Welcome, skeeezixpa

Try another power cord (also make sure something else works in the same outlet....

Then bury it).....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/printer-doesnt-power-on-any-hope.45841/
Relevancy 43%

hello i bought a new sound card and i tried to connect it to one of the PCI slot when i was power Is My mobo my fried? doesn't on... CPU about to install the driver for the sound card my screen My CPU doesn't power on... Is my mobo fried? freezes so i switch my computer off after that i started it again however it doesnt work so i decided to remove the sound card and the computer worked however the output of the graphics is blurred so i removed the video My CPU doesn't power on... Is my mobo fried? card and cleaned it so it worked again after that i put the sound card again and same thing happened screen freezes i turned it off and when i powered it back on a beep was heard coming from the mobo so i removed the ram and cleaned it when i put the ram back and turned on the computer but it doesnt work is my mobo defected because i tried replacing the power supply but it still doesnt work Help me pls i really need tips Thanks nbsp

A:My CPU doesn't power on... Is my mobo fried?

What happens when you turn your PC on? Do any of the fans spin? Is the motherboard LED on?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-cpu-doesnt-power-on-is-my-mobo-fried.154085/
Relevancy 43%

I have HP Envy 15 (j165no) doesn't power up as of today. It has been working until yesterday when i turned off. Today it won't turn on no matter what I do. I have tried it with a battery in and plugged in. Tried with without a battery but still plugged in. I also tried it on battery only...all without any effect. No LED's light up (even the one on the power button or the white/orange one next to the power input). I measured power brick's output and it is still putting out power. Even i did hard reset as i read instraction on hp support. But no result. Is there something inside the laptop that I can try to replace, or will I probably have to replace the entire montherboard?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-Envy-15-j165no-doesn-t-power-on/td-p/5677524
Relevancy 43%

Hi everyone,

my almost new Portege Z30 doesn't start anymore. There is only one white light flashing - the one for DC/battery - but other than that: nothing happens :(

What can I do?
Thanks for your help and support.
B.K

A:Portege Z30- A-1FL doesn't power up anymore

Sorry to hear that?

Portege Z30 is very nice, good looking Ultrabook and as far as I know the notebook?s battery isn?t removable. Therefore the common workaround like removing the battery and pressing/holding the power button 30 sec long isn?t possible.

Anyway, I guess that notebook?s hardware started to malfunction and the fault localization will not be very easy. Usually the notebook engineer would use a special test and diagnostic software in order to find out what could be exactly wrong.

From my point the issue could be related to memory problem or motherboard malfunction and I guess both parts should be checked for possible issues.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?81917-Portege-Z30-A-1FL-doesn-t-power-up-anymore
Relevancy 43%

Hi,

I'm looking into why my son-in-laws Vaio VGN-FS115Z laptop doesn't power up. Would appreciate any pointers.

Have done all the obvious (reseated CPU, removed etc memory, run with power supply, checked out HDD elsewhere).

Symptons are :-

Power button works , turns machine on and off.
No backlight, no screen, no Bios beeps (even if you remove memory etc)
3 leds (Caps lock / Numlock / Shift lock) all stay on.
All chips get warm after a while.
No sounds (beeps or otherwise)
CPU fan doesn't seem to start up - not sure if it needs the CPU to get really hot first, though.
Almost as if it's lost a power line, or CPU is dead, but drive, battery, mains, wifi leds all come on and appear to work fine.

Any pointers gratefully received...

Cheers,

A:Sony Vaio doesn't power up

I've seen this on your identical model of laptop during a service for a client. We RMA'd it back to SONY and they ended up replacing the motherboard. At least that's what the cryptic service notes said when it was returned.

In my own technical opinion though it doesn't look good. When your motherboard doesn't respond at all...it's never a good thing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sony-vaio-doesnt-power-up.712389/
Relevancy 43%

Hey everyone,

My computer powers up, but nothing happen from there. The screen stays blank.

I took a look around and everything seems to be connected correctly. However, the CPU is stuck to the bottom of the CPU Cooler (Not sure of this is normal, or if the CPU has overheated and melted).

I've tried switching RAM, so that's not the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Also is it normal for the CPU to be stuck to the top of the cooler?

A:Computer power up, doesn't boot

Yes, the heatsink/fan assembly can be "stuck" to the top of the cpu by heat transfer compounds.

Re non booting, do you have any more detail, such as odd things which may have been happening prior to the pc failing to start. Also, confirm nothing is appearing at all on the screen - no post text. Has anything been changed prior to this happening.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-power-up-doesnt-boot.497946/
Relevancy 43%

Hi,
I have upgraded my desktop, Motherboard for Dual Core, Power Suply, RAM, are all new. I used my previous HDD, DVD ROM and tower case. And I install all this together, while carefully following t he instruction on the manuals. But when I press the power on button, the case fan, cpu fan will only power up for a second and will turn off again and tottaly will not function, I have repeated to turn it on it all the same will power up for a split second and will stop. Any idea what causes this problem.. Need your help.

A:Desktop doesn't continue to power up

Have you checked out your power unit check your motherboard manual to see what power it requires.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/desktop-doesnt-continue-to-power-up.159361/
Relevancy 43%

My Father's PC Seems to have a problem with its Power It will Slightly turn on then off. The PC Monitor also does not Get a signal From The Desktop.

A:Computer power doesn't work

not sure how it turns slightly on. but your power supply may be bad. thats the cheapest fix. the motherboard will be the worst case scenerio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-power-doesnt-work.158860/
Relevancy 43%

My Micro cruzer doesn't seem to power on is there any way to get my files of of it i really need these files can anyone help??

A:Micro cruzer doesn't power on

try a different usb slot, or try it on a different computer. The drive gets power from the port

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/micro-cruzer-doesnt-power-on.122841/
Relevancy 43%

Hello friends,

My old computer (Intel Impression 440BX) was running Win98, I formatted and installed XP Professional. Now when I select shutdown, the computer no longer turns itself off - as it used to. I now get the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen and have to manually turn off the power to the Motherboard.

I didn't make any changes to BIOS (AWARD) and I looked around to see if XP changed something, but didn't notice anything. I am not that experienced with all the different BIOS settings.

Thanks for your help.

Relevancy 43%

Hey there everybody.

I have a 2 year old desktop running Windows 7. It's worked perfectly, and was working perfectly when I left it last night. This morning I was surprised to find it shut down. When I turned the power on, it lit up like it's supposed to, the fans engaged, but I don't think I hear the hard drive spinning. The hardware on the desktop itself is functioning (the DVD tray opens, for example) but there is no output to any devices, so the monitor doesn't come on, the keyboard isn't on, etc. I've tried the obvious fixes (removing and resupplying power, checking external connections).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to look. Sorry if I haven't included required information, I'm very much a layman.

A:Desktop has power but doesn't boot

The first step would be to eliminate any plugin cards and the drives.  Both 12 and 5 volt supplies are needed, but the 12 volt is mostly for the hard drive and optical drives.  With just the MOBO, onboard video if available, and keyboard to start.  If no display, the CPU is not starting.  I suspect the power supply is faulty.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/589778/desktop-has-power-but-doesnt-boot/
Relevancy 43%

I built myself a little computer reusing some of my LGA- doesn't system ATX Micro power up stuff but I am having problems getting it to power on I bought a w power supply specs are below which should be adequate for this setup and it has run before but now I can t get the computer to turn on When I push the power button the system powers up for a split second and then dies If I push the button again nothing I can turn the switch on and off in the back Micro ATX system doesn't power up all I get is that brief on state The board has power indicated by a green LED and the very first time i tried it the system ran fully powered PSU Specs - Thermaltake TR w GENERAL - Wattage Watts - Fan mm fan RPM - Efficiency - PFC - Hold-Up Time ms - Switches ATX Logic on-off additional power rocker switch - Motherboard Connectors -pin Main Connector -pin Power Connector -pin Power Connector - Power Good Signal - ms - Form Factor ATX V - Dimension x x inch L x W x H x x mm L x W x H - Warranty Year - Certifications AC INPUT - Input Voltage VAC VAC - Input Current VAC A Max VAC A Max - Input Frequency Range - Hz - Inrush Current - Operating Range - MTBF Minimum - RFI EMI UL CUL FCC BSMI DC OUTPUT - Output Table ENVIRONMENT - Operating Temperature to - Storage Temperature - to - Operating Humidity to non-condensing - Storage Humidity to non-condensing PROTECTION - Over Voltage Protection Yes - Over Current Protection Yes - Over Load Protection Yes - Over Termperature Protection Yes - Under Voltage Protection Yes - Short Circuit Protection YesClick to expand I know Thermaltake units are hit or miss but it doesn t make any sense that it worked fine and now it doesn t The power supply is brand new and it doesn t make any weird noises I know there is plenty of power going through it because I can hear the normal faint buzzing sound System Specs Intel Q stock speed ASUS P G C-M mATX board Super Talent DDR GB HD MB GB SATA-II HDD LiteOn DVD-Burner There are also mm fans and one mm fan plus the CPU cooler Any help with this would be extremely appreciated thanks nbsp

A:Micro ATX system doesn't power up

Have you tried grounding it, sometimes computer can short out when powering due to the motherboard touching the case, e.g. one of the screws are loose and move. You seem exsperienced so i would advice taking it out and plugging it back in on cardboard which will stop any power shorting out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/micro-atx-system-doesnt-power-up.152869/
Relevancy 43%

I m running Windows XP SP a and lately i have noticed that my computer doesn t totally power off after it has shut down Power Down After Shutdown Computer Doesn't successfully What i mean is that i can here a noise coming from within a computer Computer Doesn't Power Down After Shutdown s casing It sounds like power is still running through the system kind of like a faint whining even though the system is off The noise starts when the computer is plugged into a live power source and it stops when i switch off the power from the wall or unplug the computer s cord I have tested my other hardware and none of them make any noise Computer Doesn't Power Down After Shutdown The power ON OFF switch at the back of my computer doesn t help and it s not the fan I can t remember ever hearing this before so i don t know if i am just beginning to notice it the system is years old it s getting louder or if its something i have caused It s not a huge problem but it is noticeable Does anyone know how i can totally power my system down without unplugging it Thanks

A:Computer Doesn't Power Down After Shutdown

try thisPower Down the Computer After Shutdown Attention this is a registry tweak!!!! Back up your registry Please look at this guide How to back up your registry prior to doing so

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/84946/computer-doesnt-power-down-after-shutdown/
Relevancy 43%

I'm running Windows XP Pro, and for some reason, my machine doesn't turn itself off when I shut it down.. It goes to the "Windows is now logging off" screen, then freezes. Then, I manually have to turn it off.. Also, if i want to restart, restarting doesn't work, because it does the same thing; freezes at that same screen.. Any help on how to fix this?

A:Windows doesn't power off when I shut down..

Did you add a new program or software before this started? If you did remove it and see if it works, if not just do a System Restore to an earlier date when it worked.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-doesnt-power-off-when-i-shut-down-72902.html
Relevancy 43%

In my power options I have my own setting.
It's very simple it basically just says to never put the computer to sleep and to never turn off the display.
Despite this the monitor is always turned of after a while.

Is there a way to save my power options so that the monitor is never turned off?

Thanks

A

A:Power Options doesn't save

Hello Aperture,

If you are sure you are saving your changes before closing the windows, perhaps it is another program interfering. For instance, do you have any power-saving programs that came with your machine?

~Jonathan

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/54335-power-options-doesnt-save.html
Relevancy 43%

Hello You may remember me from last time I posted a thread in which we discovered New a Doesn't Installed Power-Up Motherboard; that a PCI-E slot had gone bad Well Installed a New Motherboard; Doesn't Power-Up think of this as round two Alright so I have a HP Pavillion a e with an Athlon Dual Core processor Upon discovery of the bad PCI-E slot it was decided that however it happened in detail that it would be easier and cheaper to fix it by replacing the motherboard So I purchased a Biostar A GE Installation seems to have been successful but while the back light that says it s getting power is lit pressing the main power button has no reaction Nothing boots nothing powers up not even the light in the power button turns on I was pretty sure that I had connected everything right but I m confused Question I noticed that the mobo connection for the CPU fan is pronged now where in my old one it used to be three Could this be it A different connector design preventing something from grounding Question You have any other ideas on what s going on nbsp

A:Installed a New Motherboard; Doesn't Power-Up

Have you made sure that you connected the case wires, properly to the motherboard headers?
(PWR, ATX,HDD,RST...)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-a-new-motherboard-doesnt-power-up.931575/
Relevancy 43%

I left my laptops in the car during the day when i went to power on it doesn't I change the motherboard but it still doing the same. can anybody tell me what can be

thanks

A:Dell laptops doesn't power on

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Maybe replacing the battery might help.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-laptops-doesnt-power-on.26495/
Relevancy 43%

Power LED Lights in my laptop are not getting turned on when I connect my Laptop to an power outlet I have tried thesea) Replaced the AC Power adapter b) Removing the batter and connected the Power adapter to an poweroutletc) Did a hard reset by pressing the power button for more than 60 seconds But in none of these scenarios my power led lights doesn't turn on. What might be the issue here?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Power-LED-Lights-doesn-t-turn-on/td-p/5648095
Relevancy 43%

I have an issue with a G - notebook nbsp The owner is an on G50-45 on power doesn't with Lenovo battery older nbsp acquaintance of mine who couldn't use it with the WIndows which is the original OS comming with it so in order to install a WIn was needed an update of the BIOS Downloaded from the official Lenovo support center ofcourse nbsp After the update I finaly managed to boot Windows on the notebook but now it won't turn on while battery is on I tried the battery draining suggestions mentioned not once or twice in this forum and nothing gave result Ref nbsp https forums lenovo com t Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks G -won-t-start-on-battery td-p nbsp nbsp nbsp Lenovo G50-45 doesn't power on with battery on When pressing the power OR nbsp the Novo button it is getting in a cotinous boot loop while battery is on I tryed Lenovo G50-45 doesn't power on with battery on many varieties but while the battery is installed - Lenovo G50-45 doesn't power on with battery on the notebook keeps restarting but when I remove it and power on only on AC evrything seems to be going quite well nbsp So after I installed the new OS I digged myself into the forum and I ran onto the above mentioned techniques but unfortunatelly after several tries - I give up nbsp My question is - do you have any other ideas Is my problem hardware because it does not exit when I remove this particular hardware - the battery or it is some issue because nbsp of the updated BIOS nbsp nbsp I hope somebody will give me the next direction how to fix what I did please nbsp Thank you in advanced nbsp nbsp BRStacy nbsp nbsp nbsp

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/Lenovo-G50-45-doesn-t-power-on-with-battery-on/td-p/3353079
Relevancy 43%

Would appreciate suggestions as to what may have failed and why First the background My infrequently used year old Dell Dimension XPS T desktop computer and Trinitron monitor have been doesn't or boot! power off Desktop plugged into an APC surge protector for a while now When I d go to use my PC I d simply power on the surge protector and then press the power buttons on the CPU and monitor to turn them on and boot up the computer Now the Desktop doesn't power off or boot! problem Earlier this week I turned on the surge protector and the computer powered on automatically didn t need to press the power button then proceeded to run through it s usual sequence - checked the DVD drive then the CD drive but stopped there The light on the floppy drive didn t come on and the computer didn t boot yet the harddrive light came on and stayed on for about seconds then turned off The CPU fan ran OK Though I had no problem powering the monitor on or off I am unable to power off the CPU or get it to boot - it isn t responding The only way I could power off the computer was to unplug it Initially I thought the surge protector was the problem but plugging the CPU and monitor directly into a wall outlet has produced the same results I also attempted to boot the PC using my MS Windows boot disk and Dell Dimension support CD but the floppy drive isn t responding reading the disk I ve read some of the other threads in this forum and am thinking I may have multiple problems - floppy disk power supply etc but don t know what my next step should be to investigate the problem I know the computer is almost years old but I like Windows and I paid for the computer and would like to fix the problem if it s cost justifiable I was told by a tech at Staples Business Depot that I should just chuck the PC and buy one of their cheap desktops for but what kind of PC would I be getting for that price Could use some expert and sensible advice here Anyone Thanks - Euridice nbsp

Relevancy 43%

Hello guys and gals,

I have a situation! I bought a HP Pavilion 4535 and I'm in the process of fixing it up! I recently installed a new hard drive 30gigs and installed WinXP. It seems like everything else works fine except the power supply! As soon as I connect the power cord to the power supply the fan begins to run and I havent even turned the PC on. It boots up just fine, does not overheat or anything but when I shut it off I have the same problem that the fan does not shut off! If I leave the power cord attached the fan will continue to run. I'm not sure of what this problem could be, so do any of you all have any suggestions? Should I get a new power supply? Thanks for any advice.

Me again.

Relevancy 43%

I have one of the strangest issues I have come across. After upgrading to 8.1 my power button doesn't always work when trying to enter sleep mode. It's how I send my computer to sleep and wake it up. If the computer is off or asleep and I press the button it works every time, but if it is on and I press it to send it to sleep mode it works probably 25% of the time.

Not sure what specs will be useful so here are the main things: custom built computer inside a "Cooler Master Storm Enforcer" case with an ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard, Intel i7 3770k, and Windows 8.1 Pro w/ media center.

Also as a side issue (that has been going on since before Windows 8.1) when I right click a word in Chrome to auto correct it that only works once per text entry. If I click the new word on the context menu nothing happens.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/35275-power-button-doesnt-always-work.html
Relevancy 43%

Hi there,
My computer is a custom build and I've had it around 4 years now,
About 2 months ago it stopped turning on fully, it'll power on and all the fans are running but it won't connect to the screen.
I was told it was the power supply, so I got a new one and still nothing.
If anyone could help, i'd be extremely grateful!!

Relevancy 42.57%

Hello Rebuilt a computer in a hurry after a motherboard failed and now facing several problems with the new build Firstly the computer does not power off at restart windows shuts down fine and the screen input goes but the fans and hardware doesn't new after at off motherboard. Computer restart power stays on Secondly the cursor flicks to the loading icon every few seconds just for a flash then comes back There are no processes running but this problem has persisted after several wipes Finally I am asked which version of windows I want to boot to every start up despite only having one version installed The second option says there are Computer doesn't power off at restart after new motherboard. files missing and won t boot up but neither does it disappear even after formatting the drive it relates to System specs M N-SLI deluxe Asus Motherboard gb Kingston ram x gb hmz AMD AM Computer doesn't power off at restart after new motherboard. CPU Nvidia GS graphics card gb Samsung HDD new primary gb Maxtor HDD wiped clean boot option still appears Windows XP SP Thanks for any help nbsp

Relevancy 42.57%

Just built a computer for my little brother and button PC Power New post to won't Doesn't respond I live streamed it for Charity Unfortunately it s not posting The LED s come on and the fans spin but no signal from the monitor and no signal from any devices such as the keyboard and mouse When I plug the computer in it turns on but the power buttons in the front of the computer do not work Which means I can t turn off the computer by it s power buttons I have to unplug the power There is a green LED that shows in the front of the computer as well So I know the motherboard New PC Doesn't post won't respond to Power button is sending signal to the case Things I have tried so far Double checked the Q connectors Case connectors and removed one stick of ram to ensure it s not a ram problem Computer Specifications Asus m a T-E motherboard Viotech Pro w PSU Viotech Black ATX Mid Tower Case GB of Ram HD Radeon gb Phenom ii x t Quad Core Ghz processor nbsp

Relevancy 42.57%

BTX Pentium D running XP Media Center activates fans but doesn't boot when powered on. Was running fine, turned off overnight, now will not boot. 4GB ram installed, tried with 1GB, 2GB and 0GB. No beeps when powered up with 0GB.
-Tried integrated video connected and video card connected with no luck.
-Replaced motherboard, same issue.
-Also tried different processor when new MB installed. Same results. Went back to original Pent D.
-Fans run full speed all the time.

It was the power supply & the MB.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fans-run-but-system-doesnt-boot-on-power-up.153646/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi,
I have an emachine comp that has always had trouble restarting. If I try to restart it it gets stuck at the e machines logo. I have always just shut it down and then rebooted to avoid this. Now it gets power after I turn it on, all fans working, hard drive running, cd drive running and everything but the monitor gets no signal. I tried to start it many times but just ended up with the same results until now. It is running fine again all of the sudden with no change at all so obviously it is not the monitor. Does anyone know about what causes this to happen? I am afraid I will be stuck with it just not starting at all at one point if I don't find out what is wrong.

Thank you so much for your help!

A:Comp has power but doesn't boot every time

I had a long reply and it got lost completely so to narrow this attempt down...
Check for connections at the terminals, also dust and corrosion over time, as well as spotty HDD things like reading errors via blemishes on the discs surfaces can cause delayed reading. It's the same as most other electronics's symptoms in this regard.
That's my opinion because you can't see what the CPU and computer are actually getting stuck on, however, if the HDD light is constant, assume it is a read error.

Also, you will have extra AGP or PCI only slots, add a back up video card to insure you have a fall back! The onboard video connections can fail due to the cheap overall construction of eMachines' Mobos (TriGEM)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/comp-has-power-but-doesnt-boot-every-time.100632/
Relevancy 42.57%

The power adaptor for my NTL cable modem doesn't work anymore. I know this because my modem would no longer power-up so I swapped the power adaptor from my speakers to my modem and my modem worked! So, I was wondering, where do I get another adaptor? Or is this up to Virgin Media to replace?

Note: It's a 10v OEM AC Adaptor.

Let me know if you need the model number etc.

Relevancy 42.57%

I just did a fresh install of Windows home ultimate bit and I am pretty doesn't save turn Power sometimes off monitors sure this problem started right away I have an NVIDIA GeForce with a dual monitor setup - HP LP w connected Power save sometimes doesn't turn off monitors via DVI and a Samsung Power save sometimes doesn't turn off monitors Syncmaster connected via VGA The problem is that when the system has been idle long enough and the monitors are supposed to power off about half the time unpredictable although the monitors go black they don't turn off the backlight is on and the power LEDs show they are on Both monitors show the same behavior at the same time e g either both will power off correctly or both will fail to power off so the problem isn't monitor-specific Back when I had XP on this same setup I didn't have this problem Anybody experiencing a similar issue or have any ideas what might be the problem here I started with Windows standard drivers but them installed NVIDIA's drivers but it made no difference Windows home ultimate -bit Athlon GB NVIDIA GeForce

A:Power save sometimes doesn't turn off monitors

I think I found the problem - it's the Google Photos Screensaver included with Picasa 3. If I don't use that screensaver, the problem never occurs.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/38598-power-save-sometimes-doesnt-turn-off-monitors.html
Relevancy 42.57%

my computer won't turn on

3 days a go myn power supply of my e machine t 2745 blow out ok
i change it for a brand new power supply but nothing happen, but when i connect the power supply to the mobo a green ligth on the mobo is on i don't know if the problem
with my old power supply could affect any other devvice of my mobo , but check this out power supply brand new and the mobo seems to be just fine please i need somebody to help me out i don't know what to do

A:New power supply, computer still doesn't work

alexander33831 you are replying in this thread, about "How to chose folder in .bat files while install from CD "
Umm nothing to do with your issue

You will need to go to here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/
Select the appropriate forum, and then create a NEW thread, just for you.

Do not reply here, just create a new thread. (you know everytime I say this, the person replies here, its happened so many times, I'm wondering what I should say)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-power-supply-computer-still-doesnt-work.102387/
Relevancy 42.57%

I've had this issue for quite a while with my HP Split x2 now where you'd simply try shutdown Windows, however after it has shutdown you get the blank screen, but it does not power off the machine.

Recently (in the last week) I've had this issue happen to my main computer too which is a custom built PC, either since an update or from an unsafe shutdown, not sure which.

The only fix for this is to turn fast shutdown off which solves the issue on both my laptop (HP Split x2) and my PC. There should be a better fix for this though. So is there some steps I can take to diagnose it or to see if any hybrid files are corrupt or such? I have a feeling it is a hardware issue with my HP Split x2 but it's extremely unlikely that my custom built PC has hardware faults too.

Both machines are running Windows 8.1 Pro.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/63020-hybrid-shutdown-doesnt-power-off-computer.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hey, i've got a major problem, probably motherboard issue, so i'm posting it here, to make sure it's my motherboard.

-When i turn on my computer, it does really nothing, even the power light on the front isn't flashing, only the one below (there are two LEDs outside) blinks once! Then it turns off.
-When i remove every other hardware (Except the ones inside the comp.), same happens.
-My computer is connected to the power cord, and when i start up, i clearly hear the fans.

Thanks for helping.

A:Computer doesn't start, and no power light

first thing to try would be to swap power supplies...

if new power supply works, then the old one is dead
if new power supply doesn't work, then the motherboard or CPU may be dead
memory may also be preventing the computer from starting, so remove a stick

if you are using an internal speaker, does it beep in pattern or nothing at all?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-doesnt-start-and-no-power-light.154614/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hello,
I would greatly appreciate help with my problem. My PC, an Acer Aspire AM5641-U5630A with Windows Vista, only starts up sometimes. When I press the power button, the blue power light comes on and the fans start sounding. However, after it quiets down there is no beeping noises and a display does not come on. On times in which the computer does turn on, a beeping noise is heard and an Acer logo display comes on before it proceeds to start up like normal. Once I'm past the Acer logo the computer works fine. It seems to be random as to when it powers up but I have tried an upwards of 20 restarts before.

Thanks,
overview5

A:Computer only boots up sometimes, power light on if it doesn't

This is most likely caused by a weak or failing power supply. Open up the case and make sure that the fans are running and everything is free of heavy dust and other debris...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-only-boots-up-sometimes-power-light-on-if-it-doesnt.174887/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi guys,

I installed a new CPU-Cooler (Scythe Mugen 4) on my computer and to do so had to remove my mother board (A88XM-E35, socket FM2+) and graphic card (R7250-OC-2GD3) from my computer. After putting back the mother board, with the graphic card and CPU-Cooler attached on it, my computer doesn't power up anymore.

I have been trying to fix this problem for several hours now but I am unable to do so. My first thought is that I didn't connect the mother board or graphic card back correctly, but I am unable to find the issue. Could anyone help me and try to guide in me in finding the issue?

A:Computer doesn't power on after installing new CPU-Cooler

Go back over ALL of the connections again. There are 2 power connections to the motherboard, the 24 pin and either a 4 pin or 8 pin CPU power. The video card power connection. Those are the only basic ones needed for it to power on. Obviously power is needed for the hard drive to boot up, the ones listed are all that is needed for the motherboard to power up and be able access the BIOS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/381685-computer-doesnt-power-after-installing-new-cpu-cooler.html
Relevancy 42.57%

On startup, I have the power meter icon start up in the notification area but when the computer does startup, it doesn't load. If I were to kill the explorer.exe process and relaunch it, the power meter will load up.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

A:Windows Power Meter doesn't start

The Power Options, of which Power Meter is a part, is a Control Panel Extension named PowerCfg.cpl and the main entry resides in C:\Windows\System32 folder. Perhaps it is corrupt.

What you could try is to boot to Recovery Console and expand your disk copy of that .cpl into the Windows32 folder.

While you could force delete it the cache copy might be bad also.

If it works after that, replace the cache copy also.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-power-meter-doesnt-start-380763.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi there, I've just built my first PC... everything seemed to be going well until power up!

The switch on the back of the PSU is on and the motherboard led lights up to show that it's getting power. When I try my power switch nothing happens, I even got a cheap motherboard testing kit with a little power switch in case the one on the case was loose/knackered, still nothing.

It didn't blow or bang or do anyting upon first power up. I'm pretty sure the PSU is connected to the 24pin and 4pin slots on the motherboard correctly.

There's literally nothing upon power up though, no fans, no hard drive spins, nothing.

Motherboard problem maybe? Power getting to it to turn on the LED but problems elsewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm slightly worried I've just thrown 500 down the toilet!

Thanks

Relevancy 42.57%

ok so my computer's screen stays black, but the on button lights up and i can hear the windows welcome noise, so i know its on. i think i know why this is happening, because i recently messed with the power settings and changed the option to go to standby when the laptop is not running on outlet power. so i realized that i need to just plug it in, but now it doesn't respond to the outlet power. usually a little lightning bolt lights up on the comp when it's plugged in, but not anymore. can someone please help on why this is?

Relevancy 42.57%

I have screensaver off in Win 8, now 8.1, but in power options (high performance) I've set the monitor to turn off (go black) after 20 minutes of inactivity. Normally, when I come back to the computer, tapping the Escape key brings back the desktop in short order. However two times lately, one about a week ago in Win 8, the other just now in 8.1, there's been no screen response and I've had to shut down the computer and reboot. It's the monitor not responding, not the computer, which for example just now was still playing music at Spotify when I came back. I assume it has something to do with power options, but I can't figure out what. Any ideas? Thanks,

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/33495-monitor-doesnt-come-back-power-options-sometimes.html
Relevancy 42.57%

The problem PC doesn't power down the fans continue to spin after the monitor blacks out after quot Shutting down quot screen But sometimes it does power down but I have to wait a while - minutes I think It shut Unseen power BSOD PC down doesn't down, after used to shutdown and power down quickly before this happened in the past though Anyway if it doesn't power down I press no need to hold the power button and it goes off I didn't know a BSOD is there as the monitor is out until I turn on the PC the next day and got a quot Windows has recoverd from an unexpected shutdown quot dialog talking about a Bluescreen Discovery of problem About a month ago my PC suddenly Unseen BSOD after shut down, PC doesn't power down restart on shutdown After getting that a few times I unchecked quot Automatically restart quot in System Properties- gt Startup and Recovery Then it became as described above the fans continue spinning and PC doesn't power down probably due to an unseen BSOD Trying to fix it Using the program Nirsoft BlueScreenView it seem like the display drivers are involved So having the latest drivers at that time I reverted to older versions to see if the BSOD still occur Tried two versions backwards and the problem still occurs Also tried re-sitting the graphics card but to no avail Other than this problem the PC works normally I can play games surf and manage files as per normal Though my DVD-RW drive is pretty much dead already as it can't seem to read discs now Another thing I have a TV card running on unsigned drivers but it has been working since my first installation of Win so I don't think its a problem Please help me thanks in advance About system - Windows Professional SP x - Originally XP SP but reformat and installed - Win is a MSDNAA copy - Age of system is years except ASUS GFX card bought last Nov and a TP-LINK network card bought last month - Installation age about months reinstalled early this year as 'systeminfo find i quot install date quot ' tells me

A:Unseen BSOD after shut down, PC doesn't power down

Hello iron200 and welcome.

Looks like you're having some trouble with your Graphic Driver. Try this (if possible).

1) Make your way to Nvidia - Drivers and get the one for yours

2) Uninstall the one you currently have and all the extensions (PhysX, etc)

3) Download Driver Sweeper

4) Get to safe mode (without network) and search for Driver Sweeper in your Start

5) Select all Nvidia components and analyse them

6) Clean them, head into Windows

Tip
To avoid Windows from downloading the driver it recommend, go into Windows without internet. Either plug your LAN cable out, or if you're on wireless, turn it off for just a moment until you got the new one
When you're in Windows, find the driver you downloaded on the first step. It might be in your /downloads - Install it

Carry on.
Frederik

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/196979-unseen-bsod-after-shut-down-pc-doesnt-power-down.html