Windows Support Forum

How many USB ports do you use?

Q: How many USB ports do you use?

Was just thinking, how many USB ports do you guys use? I would imagine more than the average user as I suspect that members of a technology forum wouldn't use the same as the average user. If possible I would like to know what you use the ports for in the comments, personally I use 6, one for my mouse, one for my webcam, one for my speakers, one for keyboard's USB hub (which I never use), one for my wireless xbox controller receiver for PC and one for my iPod cable. My keyboard is PS/2 for the actual keyboard part, if you were wondering. Thanks!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How many USB ports do you use?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How many USB ports do you use?

Mouse, keyboard, webcam, XBox 360 controller, Logitech G27, WooAudio WA7, sometimes I swap out portable hard drives and thumb drives and occasionally plug in a custom joystick for playing SSF4AE... and that's just for my gaming rig.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-many-usb-ports-do-you-use.200787/
Relevancy 40.42%

Hey all so I have forwarded some ports on my router with Airport Utility NAT port forwarding but using cmd netstat -n the ports I forwarded aren't listed and using online port checkers confirms they are closed I added exceptions to my firewall even though it is off and windows defender is off and Avast's shields are all off I honestly have no idea how to open the ports up and haven't found a way to do this using Windows not pro Anybody have any ideas It seems like Windows is blocking these ports from opening for some reason There doesn't seem to be an override function in cmd to open them either In case forwarded disabled? router Ports firewalls closed; ports, you're wondering why I need the ports open I'm trying to resolve a quot request timeout quot error when pinging somebody on Hamachi - so I'm trying to open the main ports Hamachi uses I just want to play Terraria man Any Ports closed; router forwarded ports, firewalls disabled? help would be greatly appreciated

A:Ports closed; router forwarded ports, firewalls disabled?

Temporarily add your PC IP into the DMZ and try again , see if the internal/external tests then notice the ports open , this will test if it's a router or PC issue....

Don't forget to take it out of the DMZ after testing...

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/32603-ports-closed-router-forwarded-ports-firewalls-disabled.html
Relevancy 39.99%

My modem-router is in bridged mode (everything is disabled except internet), i have disabled windows firewall i have taken my firewall offline (until this issue is resolved) but still no one can access my server (they can't even join a game if i create a server)

if i go to port checker it says connection refused on all ports except port 80? how do i force open the ports?

i called my ISP and they say they should be open and there not blocking any ports.

I have a static ip address, 24Mbit up 2.5Mbit down.

when i run my filesharing program (for sharing files between my and my clients) and they try to download a file from me it says it will take (99years, 99days, 99 hours) now i don't really have that long to wait

edit: and yes my network properties are configured manually (and not on auto detect) i have no problem accessing the internet myself

A:Opening ports, i have the firewall disabled but ports are still blocked

It would be better to open the ports in the running firewall than to turn it off. Firewalls load drivers, running or not. Many firewalls block everything by default when they are turned off so that the machine is protected during boot.

You may need to uninstall some firewalls to get them to open all ports.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/opening-ports-i-have-the-firewall-disabled-but-ports-are-still-blocked.788249/
Relevancy 39.99%

This is a brand new custom built PC for web browsing for a motel lobby.

Win7 Home Premium
AMD A4-3300 Llano
MSI A55M-P33 FM1
Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower

Running latest BIOS and latest drivers downloaded directly from manufacturer's website.

I tried switching between all 3 internal headers and none of them would detect the flash drive.

If I plug the drive in the rear ports it detects right away leading me to suspect the case's ports might be defective but I don't have another USB 2.0 card lying around to confirm.

Based on this info does it seem likely that the front ports themselves are faulty?

A:Front USB ports not working, but rear USB ports work…

You might check to see if the case end of the USB cables are properly plugged into the front panel holding the headers. Some board need more than one brand of USB drivers, Renesas, NEC, etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/298221-front-usb-ports-not-working-but-rear-usb-ports-work.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi all,
Well, I was on Vista but it's unstable and slolw and my PC for the moment so I uninstalled it and put my XP home sp2 oem, I plugged my Extern HDD onto one of my 4 USB ports, it says that this device can perform better on a speeder USB 2.0 port but all of my ports are USB 2.0, they all say that, whatever device is.
It's very slow and seeing videos is annoying, I can't, I really need help.
Thanks for your answers.

A:Solved: USB 2.0 ports turned into USB slow ports

What was the solution?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-usb-2-0-ports-turned-into-usb-slow-ports.633770/
Relevancy 39.13%

Installed and Not Ports/Headphone Functioning Ports USB Mic Jack used an uninstaller to clean out some old files and apparently removed some important dlls Some programs were affected by the removal of the dlls including MS Office and internet browsers USB Ports/Headphone Mic Jack Ports Not Functioning and I noticed some strange things on the home network on other PCs Some pages weren t loading flash portions USB Ports/Headphone Mic Jack Ports Not Functioning of internet pages I suspect that the router drivers were somehow compromised but that problem seems to be under control for now I reinstalled flash player and shockwave and I am mostly confident that the browser problems are resolved Ran the repair utility on the XP installation disk on the affected machine and for the most part the original problems seem to have disappeared MS Office functionality has returned with the flash reinstall and with the XP reinstall I have reinstalled some drivers including the graphics and monitor drivers so graphics are good However a whole new crop of problems have appeared since the repair installation The affected computer is an HP DC small form factor with USB ports on the back and on the front Additionally there are also a microphone jack and a headphone jack on the front The USB ports and the mic and headphone jack on the front both have lost functionality I use the usb ports frequently with cameras and other small utilities and the mic and headphone jack for voice to text Pretty important to me to restore functionality of the devices This is the worst of the problems for now but I have been experiencing occasional problems with programs Reinstalls have fixed the problem each time so far I searched out the HP site for the HP drivers for the DC machine to reinstall those but I am confused Which of the drivers should I install for the USB ports There are a number of them listed there Here is the link to the drivers page http h www hp com bizsupport TechSupport SoftwareIndex jsp lang en amp cc us amp prodNameId amp prodTypeId amp prodSeriesId amp swLang amp taskId amp swEnvOID Should I expect a reinstall of the factory PC drivers to restore functionality to missing hardware with this PC Thanks nbsp

A:USB Ports/Headphone Mic Jack Ports Not Functioning

If you go into device manager, do you see anything with a yellow ! or ? beside it?
Vicks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports-headphone-mic-jack-ports-not-functioning.1047850/
Relevancy 37.84%

Hi My daughter has a lot of Barbie CD-ROM games There is one game she has that is rather old yet it is really one of her favorites Barbie s Magic Genie Bottle This game came with a life-sized magic genie bottle that acted as a ports/USB ports? for an game there adapter Is joy-stick It has a motion sensor Is there an adapter for game ports/USB ports? jewel on the front that you move your hand in front of and the top comes off Each of these things perfomed a function in the game I m sure you can imagine the appeal to an -year-old little girl Now the problem is I ve gotten a hmmm complete system overhaul I guess you could say A new larger hard-drive new processor and new motherboard The OLD system had a gameport on the back of the computer The new one doesn t It only has USB ports Please SOMEBODY tell me that there is some sort of adapter or someway I can make this Genie Bottle work with this system If any of you have never lived in a house with Is there an adapter for game ports/USB ports? an -year-old Barbie-obsessed little girl you have no idea of the drama and histrionics that are occuring here Is there any way I can make a Magic Genie Bottle with a gameport plug work with a tower that now only has USB ports Somebody please save me nbsp

A:Is there an adapter for game ports/USB ports?

You could try one of these, never heard much about them so
http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...og_name=CTLG&category_name=&product_id=26-164

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-there-an-adapter-for-game-ports-usb-ports.215737/
Relevancy 37.84%

I have a problem with my front usb ports/audio ports, a couple days ago I replaced my radiator and unplugged the cord for the front usb ports but it went back in fine and ever since then I would have my headphones plugged in but whenever I took out something from the usb port the headphone/audio stopped working, could there be something wrong with the way I plugged it back in?

Thanks.

A:Problem with usb ports/audio ports

Maybe a hardware problem,check it from u'r computer manufacturer !

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/36309-problem-usb-ports-audio-ports.html
Relevancy 37.84%

Hey guys, brand new kid here. Fairly computer literate but not a whiz by any means. I had to do a Windows XP System Recovery on my HP desktop PC a few weeks ago and since then my USB 2.0 ports haven't been themselves.

Before when I used my Kingston 4gb SDHC card in my front USB 2.0 ports (as they're labeled) it worked at full speed with no problems. After the System Recovery, when I plug in the card it gives me a message saying "This device could perform faster if it were plugged into a High Speed USB 2.0 Port." The problem is, my Device Manager lists a high speed port and hub on my computer, but I get the same message on all the ports on my computer. I tried updating the drivers and uninstalling and reinstalling them but to no avail.

Is there any way to fix this?

Relevancy 37.84%

A few days ago I installed a USB card to be precise this one -Port USB SuperSpeed PCI-E Controller Card - Free as USB ports 3.0 to USB refuse ports work 3.0 Shipping USB 3.0 ports refuse to work as USB 3.0 ports - DealExtreme It uses the very common NEC PD USB controller I installed the required drivers for Windows and the card worked fine for the first day or so but not since Whenever I plug in a USB external hard drive I get a false quot This device can perform faster quot message as if I had plugged the drive in a USB port The external drive I am using is a Western Digital MyBook Essential It is definitely a USB drive and came with the required USB cable While the USB card was working I got full-speed transfers to the limit of the hard drive's ability about - MB s Now I can only get USB speeds - MB s Windows insists I have the drive plugged into a USB port even though it is plugged directly into the USB card Things I tried so far -rebooting and complete power cycle No difference -plugging the drive into one port or the other Also no difference -Looked in Device manager No help there either The controller is recognized as a USB device is using the proper NEC drivers Other info that may be important -No overclocking settings in use -I made sure the cable was plugged in all the way It's in as far as it can go but the ports will still only act like USB ports This is very frustrating How do I fix it I might as well throw the card away if it is only going to act as a USB device

A:USB 3.0 ports refuse to work as USB 3.0 ports

Go to device manager and go the props of those usb ports.
Click uninstall, now they will disappear.
Now install your drivers again, which came with the card
Reboot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/179943-usb-3-0-ports-refuse-work-usb-3-0-ports.html
Relevancy 37.41%

Vista Ultimate -bit ASUS Rampage Formula motherboard USB mouse and keyboard connected in back ports Two things Back ports working, partially ethernet) working front ports stopped (USB, happened Avira antivirus warned me of some threats which I either ignored or deleted Windows Update Back ports (USB, ethernet) stopped working, front ports partially working had some updates ready although I m not sure if it updated I turned off my PC for a couple of hours turned it back on and realized that my USB keyboard was not working on the password screen I eventually unplugged it from the back and plugged it into the front where it worked However my USB mouse did not work when plugged into the second front port nor did it work when plugged into the front port in which the keyboard worked I accessed System Restore using my keyboard and restored to one day previously When it finished both keyboard and mouse worked although I got a pop-up message alerting me that the quot drivers for your device could not be installed quot When I clicked quot OK quot the mouse stopped working again I have checked BIOS and both mouse and keyboard are recognized so it does not appear to be a hardware issue nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/back-ports-usb-ethernet-stopped-working-front-ports-partially-working.950262/
Relevancy 35.26%

My ASUS p5wd2 premium board has all 2.0 Hi-speed USB ports but when
I installed an external USB 2.0 ALURATEK 500GB HD it tells me I will get better
performance if I connect it to a HI -speed port.
Anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen. Transfer rates are around 980KB/sec
which is painfully slow.
TKS Robert

Relevancy 35.26%

Hey everyone could anybody explain what ports are all about, like for example COM PORTS, LISTENING PORTS all that.
Is it more of a software thing for programs to communicate with eachother?

Im sure most of ye know what im on about

Thanx!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/com-ports-listening-ports.106315/
Relevancy 34.4%

Hello.

I am trying to get DSL or some other form of broadband. One thing that is bothering me is security because I leave my machine on all the time. Thus I wish to use the Windows 2000 Port Resticting App and/or/in conjunction with Tiny Personal Firewall.

So the question is where can I find a listing of some sort that tells me what type(s) and number port(s) PC games use? Also if avalible LINUX games?

Thank you.

A:How do I find Ports that Games Use- Ports That PC Games Use - Listings - Help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-find-ports-that-games-use-ports-that-pc-games-use-listings-help.96648/
Relevancy 28.38%

i have a new computer that we just built. FOr some reason 3 out of 4 of the usb ports arent working. THe mouse is working but its not showing up when i plug my digi into the others...or even the one the mouse was in!!

A:usb ports

More info needed. Operating System? Motherboard make/model?

Have you loaded all the motherboard drivers?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports.197452/
Relevancy 28.38%

Can anyone tell me how to find out if my pc is usb 2.0 or 1.1.
I want to add extra usb ports but i don`t know which one my pc already has.

Relevancy 28.38%

my computer windows xp crashed-i took it to shop for repair--everything is now working great on it-except that all my 4 usb ports are not operating-the computer can not communicate with my printer,web cam,cd writer etc--all cables and power lines are ok-i have also uninstalled and reinstalled software for printer scanner copier--for web cam-for didgie cam and external cd rw-but to no avail-the usb ports seem to be dead--could anyone offer a solution-thanks mates--

Relevancy 28.38%

My graphic card which is about a month old has been giving me nightmares =\
ive tried everything, and i just wanted to make sure ive covered all the bases

my graphic card has two dvi ports. i only have the normal blue colored monitor cable, but the gfx card came with one of those converter things where i plug in my monitor cable into it, and plug the converter into the gfx port. however the other side of the cable is still connected to a normal monitor cable port, on my monitor. my monitor does have a dvi port, and i was wondering if i were to buy a dvi cable if my problems would disappear.

(have tried power supply, cables, etc. )

dottyness on my screen remains.

A:dvi ports?

Hello u5cevryday,

Since both your graphics card and monitor has a DVI port connection, it would give you the best picture to get a DVI cable. You can get a 6' cable pretty cheap these days.

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/289519-dvi-ports.html
Relevancy 28.38%

Ok, so i have an HP dv7-1020us
And ive been having some problems lately. My ipod is charging when plugged in but not showing up in my computer or in itunes. Now i have tried a camera and a USB microphone and it seems that all 4 usb ports aren't working.. is there anything i can do? I bought this computer at circuit city so if i need to get it fixed i will have to send it to HP? Thx for your help!!

A:Need some help with USB ports

How do the USB devices appear in Device Manager?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-some-help-with-usb-ports.896683/
Relevancy 28.38%

I used a bluetooth GPS with Microsof Streets and Trips and the problem that I have is that Vista assigns port number that are not compatible with the software. Microsoft will only accept prots up to 20 and Vista has assigned the GPS port 33 and everytime I try again the port # get higher. Is there a way you can control this by giving yourself the port number that is not being used? Thanks for your help.

Claude

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/194995-com-ports.html
Relevancy 28.38%
Q: Ports

Hey,
I am running a dual boot win98 and win2k. NOw i have two questions. One is how may i open more telnet ports. I have port 23 open so i can telnet to it, but i can't seem to know how to open others. Another question is, I have two drives,(One with win98, and other with win 2k), Now if i had just one drive with 98 and i installed win2k over it, would it still give me the option to choose which os i want to load up?., Thanx
J.B. Joker

A:Ports

Hi there,

Your porting can be done in several ways but depends on what all you are using for: Software and Hardware firewalls and/or Routers and Modem.

Your Dual boot should be done by partitioning your drive where 98 resides using something like 'partition magic' if you want to keep the current install of 98.

If you dont mind formatting and reinstalling then you may partition it however you choose before you install 98 and then regardless installing win2k afterwards to the other partition in which 2k will see 98 and configure the dual booting upon install

Never install these two os's on the same partition.

Also, if you use NTFS in 2k, 98 will not be able to see the 2k partition once it has been re-formatted under 2k and require help for 98 to see any files on this 2k partition.

Keep Us Posted!

-Z

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ports.146909/
Relevancy 28.38%

I have a communications driver that is used to open a communication with my embroidery machine and my computer. It usually runs on com port 3. I upgraded to Vista Ultimate recently and cannot find any ports in my device manager. I cannot get the communications driver to work. I have been told that I need to turn on the com port 3 but have no clue how since I can't find the ports in the device manager. Any help would be appreciated as this program is useless without being able to turn it on.

A:Ports Com and LPT

Originally Posted by pdmddavis

I have a communications driver that is used to open a communication with my embroidery machine and my computer. It usually runs on com port 3. I upgraded to Vista Ultimate recently and cannot find any ports in my device manager. I cannot get the communications driver to work. I have been told that I need to turn on the com port 3 but have no clue how since I can't find the ports in the device manager. Any help would be appreciated as this program is useless without being able to turn it on.

PDM

I assume the driver for the machine was made before vista came out. If so you either need to get a newer driver, or install the current driver inn compatibility mode. (right click>properties>xompatibilty tab> check xp sp2

Hope this helps

Ken

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/252541-ports-com-lpt.html
Relevancy 28.38%

I have a dell laptop, new, 4GB Ram, vista ultimate. Well I have a printer and a external 80GB hard drive connected via usb ports. When I start vista it is very slow to start up, like 3mins??, but if I unplug the printer and hard drive, vista starts up very fast??, can someone tell me why this is??, why can't I start vista with the printer and hard drive connected??..
Thanks Rip...

A:Usb ports??

Hi Phillip,

Let's try to narrow the problem down. You say that when you start your laptop with your printer and external hard drive connected it is slow to start up yet when they are disconnected start up is much faster. Try starting your laptop with just one of these items connected, firstly with just the printer and then secondly with just the external hard drive. Please post back with your results. I suspect that it is the latter (external hard drive) which is causing the problem.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/208754-usb-ports.html
Relevancy 28.38%

What versions are there apart from 1.0 and 2.0 in the USB Ports and their functional differences if there are any.

Relevancy 28.38%

i have windows 7
i am trying to use my Bernina software
i keep getting the messages-serial port is engaged and no link to serial port.
it works great on XP and with my 9 pin serial por but with this new
computer /windows it only has usb. so i bought a serial to usb adapter.
so how can i get the this combination to work with window 7.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports.958281/
Relevancy 28.38%

My USB ports continue to disconnect and reconnect whatever devices I have placed in them. All my drivers are up to date. And all four ports do this.

A:USB Ports

Hi Liston and welcome to TSF !

What are your computer specs ? If it's some brand computer or a laptop then brand and model will do. Else use everest from the "posting system specs" link in my sig to post an hardware report. If it's a desktop open the computer case and look on the sticker that's on the side of the power supply block to tell us about its brand, model and wattage.

Do you have service pack 2 installed and have you installed all the critical updates from Windows update ?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-ports-210490.html
Relevancy 28.38%

How can I find out what is using a particular com port?

A:COM Ports

jdmxek4

Check in Device Manager.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/com-ports.153039/
Relevancy 28.38%
Q: ports?

this is my router how do i open my ports ?? it says theyre stealth ... {Manufacturer: FMI }

Relevancy 28.38%

Okay I think my USB ports are bad no I know they re bad I have had my HP Pavilion n for about a year and this is the USB Ports first time I tried to use them today of the don t work at all And the th reads anything I plug into it including an HP Printer and the Wireless Network Adapter USB Ports which I know works cause it s on this computer right now as an Unknown Device HP of course tell me that the issue is me I don t know what I m doing Funny how I had no problems setting up hubby s computer to run on a wireless system Anyone know if this is a major repair Should I scrap the idea of having a printer I could of course create a network and use the one connected to my hubby s computer and just go buy the wireless PCI card as linksys suggested Thanks for the thoughts Jodi nbsp

well, i don't know much about wireless networking, but I do know this- I don't like HP printers AT ALL. I have one, a 1210 all in one, and I can't even use the stupid thing on this computer. It's a long story, but that printer is the whole reason I joined this forum. I would scrap the idea of having an hp printer, and get an epson or whatever...
The tech support for hp won't help you, they told me the same thing. It's the software that's the problem. and you have to use their software to use your hp printer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports.169825/
Relevancy 28.38%

Com port 2 appears to have vanished from my Computer. there fore windows does not detect my modem

A:com ports

Internal or external modem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/com-ports.175211/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi guys, this is a topic much discussed already but so far the solutions provided have limited success for me. The usb ports on my yoga 3 pro have stopped working again. less than 24 hours ago was the first instance, after reading in here i updated the bios and voila they started working. Now for semmingly no reason at all, they cease to work again. Does anybody have any more ideas? Some people have suggested 'resetting' the settings in bios, but as far as I can see its not even an option, you can only enable or disable certain things. Please help??

[email protected] If I reinstall the drivers and are still having problems and even more updated bios, it is possible that an overload of feeding drivers of USB ports have stopped working, try using the recovery and leave the factory team go bad you'll have to bring your computer to a technician. Technical service:https://support.lenovo.com/es/es/documents/ht100529 Regards.

Click on the star to say thanks.Please mark if it solves your problem.No work for LENOVO I volunteer.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/usb-ports/td-p/3338049
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi
I have the same problem. I cannot fit any USB devive on the 2 right ports and I am paring attention to orientation.
Only the left one is usable, how come?

Thanks

A:USB ports

I will move your post to a unique thread. This is a four year old thread.  Please identify your notebook, instead of just stating that you have the same problem.  Help us to help you by posting the following information. 1.  The complete Model Name. or Product Number. of the notebook - see This HP web document if you don't how to locate the model number and\or product number. 2.  The complete version and name of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 7 64bit ).  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/USB-ports/td-p/5640348
Relevancy 28.38%

I'm trying to synchronize "contacts manager" from a electronic organizer to my desktop; It won't work because it says that "either com1,2,3,or 4 are in use or not found; It also suggests I check my bios settings to see if these ports are enabled". I run windows vista-how do I do this?

A:Com Ports? Help...

It sounds like old software from back in the days before USB. Most new PCs don't even come with serial com ports now. I'd try to check with the software publisher, if they still exist, if there's any work-around.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/291613-com-ports-help.html
Relevancy 28.38%

My USB ports on this Gigabyte mobo are SUPPOSED to be all USB2.0
So, how come I still get "This device can run faster" messages in
my Win7 64 bit home premium installation?? I went to Gigabytes webpage and installed the chipset drivers for Win7 on there, but still get the same message when I plug in my Corsair 4GB jumpdrive.

Gigabyte GA-P31-S3G v1.0 - Intel Q6600 - 4GB RAM -
WD 500 GB SATA HD

A:USB ports not 2.0

The only thing i can think of to try is to make sure your chipset drivers are up to date. This is a weird problem. I know that USB 2.0 support was included in the sp2 pack for win XP and subsequent OS should already contain and support 2.0

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/41871-usb-ports-not-2-0-a.html
Relevancy 28.38%
Relevancy 28.38%

I wanted to know what an IP Port is and what it's strenghts and weaknesses are as far as computer security is concerned? please it is for a school project?

Relevancy 28.38%

system will not turn on, usually i get 2 or 3 beeps and system boots up. Now just the power sply.and cpu fan comes on,have cleaned and reset memory,replaced wire connectors, put in a working power sply. Problem seems to be in the motherboard. If i plug a flash drive into any of the usb ports with the system off,the light comes on in the flash drive. May have a dead short in the usb/motherboard connection. I guess my question is,will a dead short on the usb ports cause the sys.not to boot up?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Linksys

Relevancy 28.38%

Hi,
I have a gateway laptop M6881.
Vista home prem sp1.
Gateway logitech corded mouse.
It has 3 usb ports.
Also I have a palm centro smartphone.
And I have 3 Maxtor external usb HDD ( powered by usb )

When I attach the palm, I have to always use the back port on the left side.

When I attach the mouse, I have to attach to the right side.

When I attach an external HDD I can only attach to the front left port or right port and unplug the mouse.

I have uninstalled the mouse and usb drivers and rebooted many times.

Attached you will see pics of the device manager with "show hidden devices" checked.

My question is:
Is there an issue with the hardware itself or is there a parameter I'm missing to control all the usb's equally?

as always,
thank you

Carmine

PS does anyone else have a Expresscard? Type 54 slot on their laptop

A:USB ports not all the same?

Originally Posted by pacinitaly

My question is:
Is there an issue with the hardware itself or is there a parameter I'm missing to control all the usb's equally?

as always,
thank you

Carmine

PS does anyone else have a Expresscard? Type 54 slot on their laptop

anyone?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/219363-usb-ports-not-all-same.html
Relevancy 28.38%

i have a wireless modem the uses a usb port and sometimes i get a message saying that my computer doesnt have highspeed usb ports (2.0 im presuming) and that the modem is made for them therefore it will cause some slow down. I was wondering if i was to buy a new usb port would i be able to install it myself and how much would it cost

A:usb 2.0 ports

You can add them yourself if you are not worried about opening the case.
You can get a PCI card that simply slides into an open slot on the motherboard. They are not expensive $20 or so an up depending upon the amount of ports.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-2-0-ports.221740/
Relevancy 28.38%

My USB ports stopped working a few days ago. I'm guessing it was probably connected to the unscheduled checkdisk which deleted a couple of corrupted files pertaining to a USB Disk Security program. Now the USB ports don't work like they should; my mouse lights up when I connect it to the laptop, but doesn't work. The prompt says device is not recognized, or something like that. I already uninstalled the USB Disk Security program but the ports still don't work. How do I get them working again?

A:Help with USB ports

Please give more info about your system specs (computer make/model, what version Windows and what SP level, what USB devices do you have)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-usb-ports.137654/
Relevancy 28.38%

Morning Guys

I have a board i845-ITE8712 that has 2 onboard usb ports. I can't bring life to these ports. Any ideas on how to find drivers for them? This is running on an XP Pro O/S.

Tom

Relevancy 28.38%

how to know if i have usb 3.0 data cables ?
i mean i have usb3.0 feature on my notebook pc & usb3.0 is double faster than usb 2.0.
but i'm wondering which data cables i have 3.0 or 2.0,because they don't transfer data at high speed,plz answer !

A:Usb 3.0 ports

Look at the plastic 'tab' inside the connector , the colour indicates the version of the cable.

USB 1.x White
USB 2.0 Black, sometimes white
USB 3.0 Blue

If that doesn't help , the 'larger' connector on one end will have an extra 'bump' on the top edge making it taller than a USB 2 cable.
This will help explain it if you need more visual info.

Explaining USB 3.0 - YouTube

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/36688-usb-3-0-ports.html
Relevancy 28.38%

My dad has an older desktop that has two usb ports in the back and two usb ports in the front but only one port in the back works. If you plug any device into the other three, the device is not recognized. He has a K7SEM mainboard (Micro ATX). How do I get the other usb ports to work?

Relevancy 28.38%

Hi all,

My isp blocks port 25 to improve the quality of service, something i overlooked when i signed up. I am now locked into a 12month contract but could really do with this service.

Is it possible to run an ftp server on another port, I remember reading somewhere that this can be done but cant find any useful information/guides at the moment.

Anyone done this?

Thanks.

A:FTP on different ports?

FTP should be running on port 21.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ftp-on-different-ports.38595/
Relevancy 28.38%

I was using p Tcp/ip Ports p software fine but now there appears a port problem Any TCP ip port number I choose is always is now Tcp/ip Ports not reachable by the p p prog UDP is ok though I have frigged around with the firewall zone alarm pro and even turned it off to no avail I then thought maybe the isp has blocked all ports but its seems unlikely that they did all of them when they tend to know the defaults for most p p so I am coming round to thinking that I have a localised problem How can I investigate this I have already looked at quot portforward com quot and know how to set rules in zone alarm I am was running p p on home network pc that was client of ICS gateway and worked fine With so many Microsoft updates I have no idea what could have caused thisany suggestions appreciated JKModerator Edit Moved topic to more appropriate forum Animal

A:Tcp/ip Ports

I am was running p2p on home network pc that was client of ICS gateway and worked fine. Think the built in fireall in the router is giving the headache. You also need to do the same portforwarding there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/83719/tcpip-ports/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi I run Windows XP Home, with zone alarm firewall, trend micro and spysweeper. Where can I open or close my ports? I'm having trouble connecting thru my web browsers, IE and Firefox. Thanks for the help!!

What is the exact error message in Internet Explorer? What is the exact error message in Firefox?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/246793/ports/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi

I wonder if anyone can possibly help me please. We have had adsl for most of this year. When we changed over, we had to fiddle about with the phone/modem connections in order to send a fax via the XP fax console but it worked. Prior to that it was a dawdle with the creative blaster modem which is still installed. Now no faxes can be sent and when I've checked the device manager listings and looked under COM ports, the modem isn't listed under COM 1 or COM 2. Yet, when checking the modem under device manager, it says the modem is using COM 3. What can I do to sort this out?

Relevancy 28.38%

Hi, I am having major problems with my usb ports, whenever I plug in a lead for my camera, ipod etc the computer crashes, I have tried all the available ports on the pc but it crashes which ever one I use, please can anyone help, I only bought my ipod today and I cant use it, many thanks.

Relevancy 28.38%

Running a Gateway TA6 w/XP SP3.

Flash drives are not being recognized, whatsoever. I have tried seven (literally) different flash drives - three of my own and four of different friends and none of them are recognized. Any other USB device is recognized and works perfectly.

ANY of the seven flash drives I've tried - if plugged into my desktop or any other system besides my laptop - works just fine.

Any assistance? I would truly appreciate it.

The only things I've done are restart computer, uninstall all usb controllers in device manager and restarted again, checked for any driver updates (there were none available) and tried a rescan drive action in the disk management. All to no avail.

I wouldn't consider myself a computer whiz, but I definitely am no amateur. I would appreciate the help.

Michael.

Here's a start:

http://www.flashdriveblog.com/index.php/flashdrive/comments/when_your_computer_wont_recognize_your_flash_drive/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports.820711/
Relevancy 28.38%

My program says it cannot find any TCP/UDP ports, and it cannot work properly! How do I find them?! (Regardless of the program, please)

A:Tcp, Udp Ports! Help!

Sorry, this is obviously an issue that details would be important for. No information, no solution.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/tcp-udp-ports-help.306536/
Relevancy 28.38%
Q: ports

need to open ports on a smc comcast router and modem

Relevancy 28.38%

I have a Gateway model M465-E laptop running Windows XP Professional SP3.

The software application I need to run requires three serial ports in the COM1 through COM8 range. I want to use three USB to serial port adapters to derive the required serial ports.

I can use COM1 and COM2 for two of the three serial ports I need.

Device Manager indicates that ports COM3 through COM11 are "in use". However, those ports are not listed as assigned to anything in Device Manager.

How can I determine what is using ports COM3 through COM11 and free at least one of them for my immediate need?

Thanks.

Steve

A:COM ports in use

When you add some serial port devices and then remove them, Windows reserves the COM port number. The next time you add a device, the COM port number is incremented. However, this doesn't happen with all devices.

The procedure in this link will free the used COM3 thru COM11 port numbers: http://www.help.perle.com/?a=4&q=32 (it is written for Windows 2000, but works for XP).

If you really need to use COM1 and COM2 with the USB devices, you must first disable COM1 and COM2 in the BIOS stup.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/com-ports-in-use.861632/
Relevancy 28.38%

When I plugged in a flash drive, it said that this was now a 1.1 USB oport. This happened once before about a year ago. I have a Compaq Presario V4500with XP. How can I reinstall the USB ports?

A:USB Ports mow 1.1's

Is the flash drive itself 1.1? This could be the reason.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports-mow-1-1s.887467/
Relevancy 28.38%

hey guys i have had some problams with my usb prots just these past few days it seem when ther under strain thay just cut off and then back on also disconnecting my wireless internet and my ex hdd but i can't find out why the hell this is happening now ther are no errors and no sign of shorting out any ware i have tryed reinstalling the drivers and rolling back the drivers just no luck at all and i am using 32bit windows 7 ultamate i would just love for this to get fixed as i love win 7

someone must no something about this please help me

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/23064-usb-ports.html
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello All My first time here so I'm not sure this is right forum for this question First a little background System - Dell Inspiron Windows Home Premium x bit I'm an Engineer Designer Machinist and work with CAD CAM programming After I create the programs with the toolpaths for my CNC Macining Center I use a separate program to transfer the machine control data to the CNC Here is my dilemma - Win is not compatable with 7 in Help With Win Ports the old or bit file transfer program I had been using with XP and Vista I have found bit programs that are compatible but cannot get the computer and CNC to communicate The problem I'm having is in the file transfer software I need Help With Ports in Win 7 to set the Parameters such a Comm Port Baud Rate etc I cannot determine the port assignment for the usb connections In XP and Vista they were Comm and I could find that in Device Manager Ports Win doesn't seem to have a listing for ports How do I determine this Sorry for being so long winded and Thanks in advance for any help

A:Help With Ports in Win 7

Can't be both. Either your Windows install is x64=64-bit or x86=32-bit. You can dual boot with each version installed if you wish, however.

Right click on the install .exe for your old file transfer program. Compatibility tab. Set it to Vista or try XP too. Save settings. Install from it.

If it's on CD or DVD, copy contents to local HDD first.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/35864-help-ports-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 28.38%

problem with usb2 I have just connected my front usb ports and installed the drivers off the motherboard disc for usb2 checked device manager that confirms this device is working properly. Yet when i try to connect a device and i have tried several i keep getting WINDOWS DOES NOT RECOGNISE THE DEVICE even thou its ok on rear usb ports. I am at a bit of a loss as to why the software for each device is also installed CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE .BLMOT

A:usb 2 ports

At first blush, I'd guess the wiring to the front ports is incorrect.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-2-ports.236899/
Relevancy 28.38%

I don't have the expertise to do it myself, so I would like to add at least 4 ports to my PC via a USB hub. Any suggestions as to a reliable, inexpensive and easy to operate USB hub that I might purchase? Thanks, in advance.

A:I need more USB ports...

Google[ usbhubs]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-need-more-usb-ports.873794/
Relevancy 28.38%

What additional system resource is used by an extended capabilities port that is not used by either a standard or enhanced parallel Port?
------------------
TeChYgIrLl

I believe that would be a DMA channel.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ports.29605/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi

I wants to have information about number of Ports avalible in m/c . I want to know what is the use of each port and how can i close that port using ant tool ...as firewall .

Or Atleast i will be happy if i get all the port numbers and there use.

If you have this infrmation with then please make it fast ...

i need it very urgently

Try and look first on the internet (google) with searches like "port numbers" if you are really that desperate, it is all there....

Here they are:
http://www.good-stuff.co.uk/useful/portfull.php

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ports.9094/
Relevancy 28.38%

guys i got a problem
my pc does not detect the usb port...what do i do
i can not see any options in the bios either
can anyone help me or tell me how to test the usb?

thanks

Welcome to TechSpot

By the way, profiles are there to be filled out, not ignored!

What OS?
Did you install any USB-drivers?
What does Device Manager say about your USB?
A bit more info would be helpful.

Download USBSource trial-version from:
http://www.sourcequest.com/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-ports.12326/
Relevancy 28.38%

Purchased a usb external device. Was told to plug into the two usb ports on the front of the pc as opposed to the two on the back. What is the difference? Thanks.

Depending on the specs of your PC, some have the older USB1.1 ports at the back and use a header with cable to the front ports with USB2.0.
Other than that, it should make no difference, if all ports are USB2.0 on your PC

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-ports.16149/
Relevancy 28.38%

can i connect two home computers thru
the usb ports / do i need special software?

A:usb ports ?

Greetings

I am not sure, but I think that that is not quite possible. As I understand it, USB ports allow you to connect devices to it, and the device has the necessary bits and pieces inside it to talk to the operating system and set itself up. Since you want to just add a cable, there is no "device".

However, I may be wrong.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports.29235/
Relevancy 28.38%

I have 2 usb ports on the front of my PC. As of late when i put a stick in i get an error message saying it needs to scan. Does it with several different sticks and is intermittent. No problems when i plug a camera etc in. MB is just 12 mths old. It is not an expensive case, ie it was a cheap one. Thanks for your help.

it needs to scan.

What is "it". "It" wanting to "scan" sounds like your security software wants to scan the devices - and I see that as a good thing.

The case being cheap or not should not be an issue. USB ports are standard (for the USB version). The front panel USB ports are directly connected to the motherboard's front panel USB header.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/56658-usb-ports.html
Relevancy 28.38%

my moden shows on com(1) but its on com(2).how do i change it to com (2)

A:com-ports

Uninstall it (remove it from Device Manager). Use the Find New Hardware Wizard to find the modem. It should give you an option about Com ports.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/com-ports.250458/
Relevancy 28.38%

Ok I hope that someone from AOL reads this and has enough intelligence to understand what I m saying How can AOL a company that reads people s conversations if you didn t know they did that here Ports AOL s a huge awakening not know how to send files through a firewall Explain that Not to mention that they have HOW MANY millions of dollars yet they can t buy enough servers to allow all of AOL Ports the users trying to access their sites the ability too Instead I sat here for almost an hour with www aim com in the backround failing to EVER load I have used aim for over years now and they have yet to enable a way to send files to other aol users through a firewall Why is this I ve snooped around online and AOL Ports found that AOL uses ports - unless the website lied and yet when I open up the ports on my router and dedicate it just to my computer I am still unable to send files For a company that has that kind of money and that many nerds working for it you would think that they would be able to figure this out Has anyone successfully transferred a file while being firewalled with another computer that was firewalled If so how did you do it Thanks nbsp

A:AOL Ports

Are you talking about AIM or AOL? I hate that AOL users can't accept file transfers period. I had to donwload aim to do it, kind of gay if you ask me.

As far as transfering, you are talking about hardware firewall, correct? I haven't tried this, but one thing you can do is turn firewalls off and send it and then do a netstat and see what port aim is using to send it. Then enable it in the firewall and try again. It should work, I would think, but I have never tried, just a suggestion.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/aol-ports.3084/
Relevancy 28.38%

I just bought a LexMark Z45se printer. We also bought the USB cable and connected it. But it keeps saying that it is not connected. When I go tp the printers and details tab there is not a USB port in the list to choose from. When I try to print it says to make sure I have the printer switched to USB how do I do this or how do I get a USB port. I'm not very computer set-up literate. I can do anything withone but can't set up a thing without running into problems.

Please help

Windows 98

Thanks

Relevancy 28.38%

Hello, my name is Nathan. I recently installed a ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 2000 AMD AM3+ motherboard and the monitor cable and the keyboard ports won't work. It turns on and the mouse does but not the monitor or the keyboard works. I tried a new keyboard and a cable for the monitor but it doesn't work.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

OK, your post is a little hard to understand.
You installed a new motherboard and now the system will not POST. Is that correct?

Next, there are a LOT of asus boards; post the exact model of asus board along with the exact cpu, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc, etc.

This is not by chance a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever that you installed the new board is it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports.1153283/
Relevancy 28.38%

hi guys, this is the first time ive done this and my computer knowledge isnt great. ive just bought my self my first computer. its a hi grade va250d vista. i cant get my ports to work. everything i put in it says it needs software installing. the flash disk and mobile mate card reader work on other computers. plus the infra red mouse i bought wont work. ive looked for the software. i need help badly. am desperate to use and start transfering my music from old computer. any help will be greatly received chris

What happens when you connect devices to the USB ports? Do you hear any connection type sounds? Does anything appear on the screen?

Does the same problem occur with all types of USB devices?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports.695682/
Relevancy 28.38%

Does the fact that the 6t04 adapter fails have anything to do with USB ports not working all of a sudden?

Relevancy 28.38%

Whenever I plugged in any USB Device to any of my USB Ports, it says they have malfunctioned. I have tryed reinstalling the drivers, and used the laptop repair disk.

How could I get them to work again?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports.717036/
Relevancy 28.38%

I am a dj and need my laptop for my work but i run a lot of midi devices and i needed more ports. So i got a powered USB port but when i plugged it in the volts were to high. Now none of my laptop pots work. Need help please

If you are real lucky, it may have just opened the fuse. Many laptops have self healing fuses. To reset, pull the battery and disconnect from AC pw. Let it sit for at least 30~60min. Replace the battery and connect to AC pw. Pw ON and see if it works. If it does, great. If not, then you will have to get it repaired. Note most laptops are not worth putting money into repairing unless it is a very high end laptop. Since the cost of a new one is so low, it is just not cost effective to spend $ on repairs.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports.1109755/
Relevancy 28.38%

is there any software can open a closed ports

I was using a software and after a while the port that the software use is closed

I really need help on this one

Relevancy 28.38%

I have a Dell system that is using 2 Motorola bar code scanners, 1 Motorola scanner is set at port Number 3 the 2nd Motorola scanner is set to use port number 5. Every now and then the com ports may just change all by it's self or they may cycle through different port settings. What can I do to fix this issue?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/392538-com-ports.html
Relevancy 28.38%

What exactly is a PCI port and how critical is it to the operation of my computer ?
You see I am missing a PCI port driver , sometimes my computer will come on and run just fine and other times when I turn it on I will have no display.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pci-ports.1168825/
Relevancy 28.38%

not sure if my usb ports are working, my camera or phone wont work.not sure what to do

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-ports-315144.html
Relevancy 28.38%

All my USB ports in my PC won't read, and won't read or it will take a lot of time till my pc recognize any program that am trying to install please help, and please be very specific cause am not too good with computers thanks a lot

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-ports-and-dvd-cd-315852.html
Relevancy 28.38%

I have an internal modem using com port 2 and a serial mouse using com port 1. I no longer need the internal modem as I connect to the net via cable modem. I want to use com port 2 for a Palm Pilot connection. Can I disable the internal modem from using com port 2 without removing the modem from the PC? How do I find out if there are other com ports available (there is a free serial connection available on the back of the PC)? Much thanks! Terri

------------------
Terri

Relevancy 28.38%

I have recently bought a digital camera which needs to plug into the 9-pin serial port to transfer pictures to the computer. The problem is that the mouse uses that port and I don't have any other free ports (USB or PS/2) to plug a new mouse into. If I get a cordless mouse will I be able to plug the digital camera into the serial port and still use the mouse at the same time? If not , is there any other way around this or will I need to get a new port? All help much appreciated.
Keff

Most motherboards come with 2 built in serial ports. Are both of them being used? You may just need to add a connector to the back panel of your computer that can be hooked up to your 2nd serial port.
If you have an internal modem with it's own built in serial port you may have a conflict if you try to hook up the 2nd port.
You may avoid that problem by enabling the 2nd port in your CMOS setup and set it to an IRQ and I/O address not being used by the modem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ports.33863/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi!
Can anyone tell me how to set com ports please.THANKS

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/com-ports.481092/
Relevancy 28.38%

My computer has 8 USB ports total,
4 in the back on the bottom
2 in the back on the top
2 in the front.
I had my mouse and keyboard in the 2 top in the back.
On occasion I lost my mouse indicator but it came back.
This also happened to my keyboard, when it did I had no light on my keyboard.
I'm now using a hub for them.
Can you give my any insight as to what I am going to find when I get into it ?

Fortunately I ordered a USB hub before this all happened, It's working fine, however I'd like to have the computer in shape.
Thanks.

A:2 USB ports maybe bad

You could use any of the 4 ports on the bottom. You typically get best results if the mouse and keyboard are directly connected to the motherboard, as opposed to a hub.

The two ports in question are likely faulty.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-usb-ports-maybe-bad.1120404/
Relevancy 28.38%

I Recently Bought An Epson "all In One" Model Cx 5800 To Replace An Epson Cx 5400. The 5400 Only Required A 1.1 Usb Port. I Get Pop Up Messages With The 5800 That Says Ineed A 2.0 Usb Port And Another Message That Says I Do Not Have One. The Printer Will Not Work. How Do I Solve This Problem? Is The Usb Cable I Have Okay Or Do I Have To Replace That In Addition To Doing Something About The Port? Thanks For Any Help That You Can Give Me, Dave

Relevancy 28.38%

is there a way to get the ps2 to read the data on a flash drive through the usb port?

A:ps2 usb ports!

To clarify are you referring to PlayStation 2 when you say "ps2"?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ps2-usb-ports.1122941/
Relevancy 28.38%

I am using a M A -V EVO MB and recently tried to use an external hard drive that is USB enabled but had problems with different hard drives I bought a Seagate brand hard drive and a Western Digital MyBook or something like that Anyway the problem with the first one was similar to the problem with the second one However the first hard drive would connect up to the computer and the autoplay would come up but after about seconds it would disconnect and not show up again unless I unplugged then re-plugged the USB back in It would still do the same thing though unless I hooked it up to a regular USB Ports 3.0 Bad? USB port It would work just fine then The western digital hard drive had a similar problem but would stay connected until I tried to transfer a large amount of data If I transferred just one document it was fine in the port but anything that required a progress bar would cause the hard drive to disconnect spontaneously and then just as quickly reconnect USB 3.0 Ports Bad? It USB 3.0 Ports Bad? would beep that it was disconnected and the transfer would stop then it would indicate through sounds that it was connected again and I could sometimes hit try USB 3.0 Ports Bad? again but sometimes could not Just like the other hard drive if I plugged into a port it would work just fine I have all the proper drivers updated everything is in order except for the USB I do not have any other devices to see if it is device specific or if it is just a problem with the ports Also I have disconnected multiple fans and turned others down to see if it was a power problem but it made no difference I even plugged the power for the hard drive directly into the wall outlet just in case it was not getting enough power If anyone has had experience with this problem please help I am a certified technician and will understand just about any explanation you may have My complete system specs can be seen through the quot My System Specs quot feature this forum provides

A:USB 3.0 Ports Bad?

You know you just my have bad USB 3.0 ports. I haven't had a lot of experience with them but it sounds like that just might be the problem. But, are the hard drive USB 3.0 certified? If they are not then they may not be able to handle the writing speeds of 3.0. That is just a guess though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/235194-usb-3-0-ports-bad.html
Relevancy 28.38%

I just built a PC from a barebones kit. I finally got it together, set up CMOS, installed the OS... It seems like the PS/2 port for the mouse is bad. I tried the mouse in the PC I use every day, and it worked perfectly. The PC I normally use has a USB port for the mouse and the work-in-in-progress has a PS/2 port. I have an adapter. Does that make a difference?

I see that the port is not attached with screws. I take it that means it's not an FRU. Is there any work-around, or any way to circumvent that port and attach a mouse in another way?

A:PS/2 ports

If the port is physically damaged it can be replaced. Not the easiest job to unsolder one of those though. And would void any warranty if not performed by an authorized Service facility.

More often the controller is dead, so changing the port won't help.

On a new system I'd be looking into a warranty replacement for the Motherboard though.

A USB to PS/2 adapter will only work if the mouse was designed to be used on both PS/2 and USB interfaces.

If it doesn't work, getting a USB mouse will be the easiest solution.

Or an add in card with PS/2 ports can be used.

HTH

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ps-2-ports.795034/
Relevancy 28.38%

I have five USB 2.0 hub successfully operating over 20 devices. As these fail I will upgrade to 3.0. Anticipating more 3.0 devices and a 3.0 motherboard in the future. Why do they only have four ports? If I am mixing 2.0 hub with 3.0 hub's should I plug in. In a certain order

A:Why do USB hub's have only 4 ports

I believe partially because of design (where would you put any more) on laptops, and because USB runs on +5v. More than 3-4 unpowered devices decrease the voltage. If you have many un-powered devices the mfr's either have to build a more robust system (which we would pay for) or limit the number of ports.

Those who have more have to buy a powered USB hub which fixes both issues, those who dont have many would not have to pay $$ for it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/229430-why-do-usb-hubs-have-only-4-ports.html
Relevancy 28.38%

WINDOWSXP SP3, VIRGINMEDIA,BROADBAND 50Mb
Every day about 12.00-13.00 i find myself go offline for an hour or so i have to wait until it comes back so i check MSN TOOLS,OPTIONS,CONNECTIONS,START that brings up panel which checks various conections til it gets DNS and KEY PORTS (in yellow)But it doesn't tell you what to do about them anybody hulp??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dns-and-key-ports.919958/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello I need help with my dell 4500s running windows xp with service pack 2 the computer came with 4 USB Ports but they are al full I found yet another device I'm sure would make my life so much better but alas it need to plug in to a usb port ?

A:Need more usb ports

Greg,

You'll need a USB hub.
It will take up one of your existing ports, but it will extend to another 3 (if you bought a 4 port usb hub)

Check ebay.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/need-more-usb-ports-218115.html
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi everyone,
I have two usb ports in my pc, and I am using both. One for my camra and the other for my printer. I need another usb port for a usb HD.
1. Is it possible to add a usb port to the pc?
2. Will the new port as good as the regular ones?
thanks.

A:Need more USB ports

yes

if you have an empty pci slot

you can buy a 2 or even a 5 port pci to usb card..their not too expensive at all

or you can get a usb hub to split off your existing ports

i am partial to the pci to usb card..check out new egg.com or tiger direct

good luck

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/need-more-usb-ports-91464.html
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi..I'm running Windows XP Home Edition and right out of the blue my USB ports [all 4 of them] on my 'puter are not working....I first noticed it when I was trying to get info off one of my thumb drives....I inserted it and the thumb drives light comes on for about 2 or 3 seconds and then goes out and now when I try to print something,I get the USB error on my screen....any ideas....thanx,YH

Relevancy 28.38%

Some of my USB ports no longer show up in my computer, even when I plug something into them. Does anyone know why? Or how to fix it?

in the device manager click on view at the top and in the dropdown
show hidden devices
then uninstall all listed usb items
turn the computer off
unplu usb plugs
reboot twice
replug in the usb plugs

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-ports-237514.html
Relevancy 28.38%

I have a Pc with Windows Xp Pro sp with ports usb mouse usb keyboard usb and adapter wireless usb en total ports busy usb and it works me perfectly everything The problems begin when I connect a pendrive or usb ports an external disk then the majority of the times detects a new connection and sometimes until I see one unit ports usb F but ports usb it empties I make the test in the free ports that I have left If I enter in adding hardware she he tells me that everything works well but I don t see anything Until the moment when I want to connect some of these devices what I should to make is to remove the wireless adapter of the port in that this connected one and me I am without clear adsl but at least I can read the pendrive s Him but curious of everything it is that the alone wireless adapter works in that port and anything but that in that To comment you that it takes the Pc to a friend s house that has adsl for phone router and there they worked me the pendrive in anyone of the free ports keyboard and mouse usb The clear problem this it is of the wireless adapter of phone that I can make as I get him to work the adapter and a pendrive at the same time If I buy myself a thief hub of ports of ports usb and I connect it to the port where alone the wireless adapter works the other ports they would work of the one hub should I call to phone so that they send me another adapter Please to give me devises nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ports-usb.633230/