Windows Support Forum

Solved: New motherboard and CPU- Reinstall Vista??

Q: Solved: New motherboard and CPU- Reinstall Vista??

I want to change the motherboard and CPU and was wondering if I have to reinstall Vista after changing these hardware.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Solved: New motherboard and CPU- Reinstall Vista??

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 59.34%

Hi all. My PC came with a cheap MSI 7173 mobo and I want to upgrade it. As it came with XP pre-installed, will I have to purchase another Op System CD? I swapped motherboards on a friends PC and I had to buy another XP cd for it to work with the PC
Also, I`m stuck as to which mobo to purchase. It must have the Intel 965 chipset, support dual channel DDR2 667mhz RAM. I have a 7600GT Gfx card but i`m not bothered about SLI. Ideally i`d like to spend less than 100
I`m leaning towards the ASUS P5B at the moment
Also, which RAM brand to buy? Is Kingston any good?
I don`t want to spend more than 140 for 2 x 1GB sticks

Relevancy 58.48%

I'm facing the prospect of a new motherboard. My boot drive (XP Pro) has irreplaceable programs on it. If I need to "fresh install" XP, then I will lose these programs (I believe). If I can "Repair install" XP, then I think I can keep these programs.

Does a new mobo absolutely require a fresh install of the OS? Will I lose my programs?

Relevancy 55.04%

Last night I attempted to install Vista SP2 and after a couple of hours of waiting, the upgrade apparently failed and my PC informed me it was rolling back to SP1. Now when I try to boot up, I get a small dialog box which says "Windows Activation - Reinstall Windows" followed by "Windows must be reinstalled to activate. Insert the Windows installation DVD or CD into your computer to begin the reinstallation process."

Clearly I don't want to do a clean reinstall. Any advice about how I can get around this problem? The system actually seems to be working just fine in the background.

A:Solved: Vista SP2 installation failed - now being asked to reinstall Vista
Relevancy 52.46%

I would like to reinstall my copy of Window Vista. I have Vista running with lots of errors and think this may help me. The problem is that I have lost my program key. I have the original disc and the cardboard insert for the package but due to a house move I have lost the key itself. Can I find the key within my running copy or will Microsoft issue me with it?

A:Solved: Reinstall Vista

Windows Product Key Viewer
Relevancy 52.46%

My cousin's laptop was having internet problems after iTunes install, then un-install, multiple viruses. He gave it to his friend who re-installed vista without first removing the old version of vista. Is there any way to remove both partitions then re-install vista. Help appreciated. Thanks.

A:[SOLVED] Vista reinstall

Also there is no login and all safe modes do not work.
Safe mode booting stops at crcdisk.sys
Relevancy 51.6%

I recently bought a notebook with xp pro and would like to install windows vista business.
The problem is that my disc is badly damaged. Is there a site that i could download th

A:Solved: reinstall vista business

To continue from previous thread, is there a site where i can download wwindows vista business.
I have had no luck finding it without buying the programs again. which wont break the bank.
Relevancy 51.6%

I want to reinstall Vista on my PC. Can i reinstall from a second partition on my primary drive running Windows 7 RC? I'm reluctant to try without advice as my DVD drive isn't working at the minute, (that'll probably be my next thread lol) and if i mess the bootloader up i won't be able to even boot from DVD. I intend to reinstall Vista via a USB flash drive from Windows 7. This is how disk managemt looks incase you need to see :)

A:[SOLVED] Reinstall Vista from Windows 7 RC

Thanks for all of your help everyone!
BTW, I was able to reinstall Vista from Windows 7 via. USB
Relevancy 51.6%

I need to reinstall vista on my machine, but I need to keep my programs.

If I backed up my Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders to a different HDD, then backed up my registry to a different HDD, and then formated the disk with vista on and reinstalled it, then restore the program files and registry to the HDD with reinstalled vista on, will all my programs still work and function correctly.

Also, would it work with doing the same thing, apart from doing a full restore to an early point instead of reinstalling?

If not, how can I full restore or reinstall vita and keep all my programs without having to reinstall them all?

Please Help ASAP

A:Solved: I need to reinstall Vista. How can I keep my programs?

You can't. You'll have to reinstall all your programs.
Relevancy 51.6%

I have just reinstalled Vista Home Premium on an Acer Aspire Laptop, all went well but now i have no wireless connection.
when i try to connect it says the computer doesn't have a wireless adapter fitted.
it was all working fine before the reinstall i can connect by ethernet cable direct just no wirless
if you need to know anything else just ask
thanks in advance
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi just asking for some help here I was forced to reinstall Vista due to inability to install SP or indeed SP not offered Reinstalled from from after still, Reinstall [SOLVED] Vista BSOD the Restore partition on this Dell inspiron which I was tasked with fixing under Microsoft e-mail help after all other avenues to fix this machine failed This machine belongs to my brother-in-law is oldee and is under-powered including the need for more RAM GB ordered but even then Reinstall worked to the extent that I am now up-to-date with SP [SOLVED] Vista BSOD still, after Reinstall and SP and all Security updates now installed Just for info I have UAC disabled Latest Avast Antivirus is installed which is also supposed to protect against Spyware Auto Defrag turned off I use Auslogics Defrag and Ccleaner I am going to attach the report files and give [SOLVED] Vista BSOD still, after Reinstall the info below OS - Vista Windows Microsoft Vista Home Premium now SP fully updated via Windows Update x -bit or x -bit What was original installed OS on system Vista Home Premium Original Is the OS an OEM version came pre-installed on system or full retail version YOU purchased it from retailer OEM Preinstalled Dell inspiron Age of system hardware AFAIK Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS Re-installed OS to Factory Image from Recovery Partiton on HD CPU Intel Pentium Dual CPU T GHz GHz Video Card Mobile Intel R Express Chipset Family Motherboard Dell u C Chipset Intel GL GM PM BIOS A Power Supply - brand amp wattage -cell WHr Li-Ion battery System Manufacturer Dell Exact model number if laptop check label on bottom Dell inspiron I have also attached the report files in zip format as requested Thanks for any help even looking at the reports might help Hard to understand BSOD's after fresh Install and SP updates Thanks again Danny

A:[SOLVED] Vista BSOD still, after Reinstall

Sorry, me again, can't find the edit post button, blind.....

Just to post the original message I got after the BS:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.
Locale ID: 6153

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: c5
BCP1: 01BD6750
BCP2: 00000002
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 8193C770
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

Read our privacy statement:
Microsoft Online Crash Analysis

So, I found the minidump file, and will upload, but I can't find the other two referenced files???

Thanks again...Dan
Relevancy 51.6%

I was using the repair option on my vista business disk, but it stopped and did not work. When the cpu restarted, I had to choose between starting windows setup or windows vista. Vista booted up great and the problems I was having seem to be gone. How do I get rid of the windows setup files so that Vista will boot automatically?
Thanks a bunch in advance

A:Solved: reinstall vista prblems

in xp it was easy, but since vista uses BCD, the options are limited.
this might help
Relevancy 51.17%

I was trying to help out a friend who has an identical gateway laptop as mine running windows vista Both laptops have recovery partitions but I only made recovery discs for my laptop assuming Reinstall crap Vista Solved: Windows went to they were the same discs I cleared off laptop friends laptop and reinstalled windows using the built in gateway program for restoring to factory settings Then I copied the installation file for Vista SP over from laptop and installed it Windows interpreted it after the installation as a pirated piece of software and responded accordingly accusing laptop of using pirated software everytime it was turned on so I went to do another factory restore as apparently the laptop did not create a restore point before installing SP The computer froze while Solved: Windows Vista Reinstall went to crap backing up the contents of the hard drive forcing me to restart the laptop mid backup When I restarted the laptop it went to the quot windows did not properly start quot screen allowing me to boot into safe mode etc I tried all the options and the computer just keeps restarting itself I tried inserting the recovery cd and the computer pauses during startup to read the disc then continues with the quot fail quot screen Any suggestions the DVD-ROM drive is first in the boot sequence but it will not respond to it There s a recovery partition on the laptop D Drive but I can t even get the command prompt to come up from the fail screen nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

Due a corrupt registry file I did a reinstall of Vista Home Premium that fixed the error problem OK but now the sound has gone I have done all the usual stuff like checking the connections trying the speakers on another PC making sure that Mute has not been selected and trying to test the sounds under the hardware setup etc but no luck so far Under device manager the Sounds Video amp Game Controllers shows my devices as High Definition Audio Device USB Audio Device Both of these are quot working properly quot Also searched the Knowledge Base and came up with a known fix being KB but I already have that update installed anyway I have done the quot update driver quot routine but am I missing the actual sound card here The above two Lost reinstall Solved: after Vista sound devices don t appear to me to be an actual sound card I slipped in the installation Motherboard CD to see if anything was there but nothing that was obvious Also tried uninstalling reinstalling them both but still not getting very far on this one Wonder why a simple reinstall would cause this hangup nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

I ve tried several recommendations I found in various forums to no avail My main problem is this I have previously uninstalled Windows Defender from my Vista PC When I try to download Defender reinstall I get the following message quot You do not need to install this software because Windows Defender is included in Windows Vista You can access Windows Defender from the Security section of the Windows Control Panel Solved: Vista. Defender reinstall Windows Can't in quot When I click on Defender in Control Panel or in quot Programs Solved: Can't reinstall Windows Defender in Vista. quot I get the following message quot Application failed to initialize x ba A problem caused this program s service to stop To start the service restart your computer or search Help and Support for how to start a service manually quot Restarting the computer changes nothing -- not surprising since I previously partially uninstalled Defender I ve seen references to to an uninstall clean-up program Might I still have enough Defender files in my registry to be triggering the quot You do not need to install quot message The reason I uninstalled Defender in the first place was because of a conflict with my McAfee security suite I am still using McAfee Does anyone know if this conflict has been fixed My Question Can someone suggest a course of action Please use plain simple language as I am not fluent in computerese Many Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

I'll try this again. I upgrade from a core 2 quad to an i7. I rebuild my system, install vista x64 and all my apps, and it runs fine for about 24 hours. I notice that nvidia has new drivers out for the gtx280, so I download and install them. Then, after a restart the PC wont boot and I get this error right after post...​
Booting 'Windows Vista'​
fallback 1
find --set-root /bootmgr​
Error 17: File not found
Booting 'Windows NT/2000/XP'​
find --set-root /ntldr​
Error 17: File not found
Booting 'Enter Command Line'​
Boot failed! Press any key to enter command line.​
Anyone know what the problem is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.​
Relevancy 51.17%

I have done extensive searches all over this forum google and dell support forums and haven't found an answer so I'm hoping for help I have a Dell Inspiron and recently the hard drive started to go bad I got a new computer and transferred recognized Driver vista in not [SOLVED] reinstall all of my files But I was hoping to repair the [SOLVED] Driver not recognized in vista reinstall old one enough for my daughter to use the internet and other basics I did a drive utility and supposedly repaired the hard drive I then went to reinstall Vista using the disks that came with the computer The problem is once I am asked where I'd like to install Windows I get the one option of quot Disk Unallocated Space GB total and free space quot -When I click on that I get quot windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation quot -I click on quot load driver quot and put in the driver cd but it either can't find a driver or doesn't install anything when it does find one -I went to the BIOS setup and disabled ACHI as suggested elsewhere -I've run all the system repair things I can find -There is only the quot new quot option and when I click on it and then apply the default size it says quot failed to create a new partition on the selected unused space error x quot I've tried this with the driver disk and the system disk each installed My two questions are is there anything else I can try and does this mean that my hard drive is shot and there's no salvaging this computer even for casual use Thanks in advance for any guidance

A:[SOLVED] Driver not recognized in vista reinstall

and welcome to the Forum

What drive utility did you use that "(supposedly) repaired the hard drive" ?

Before wasteing anymore time on a drive that may be damaged, I would run diagnostics on the hard drive

See this for how to make a bootable cd
Relevancy 51.17%

My first post so hi every-one chaos,neeed help Solved: plz. Vista reinstall Just bought new Acer M really cheap but does what i need well did lol Well i was happily surfing when the comp hung for no apparent reason no bother i thought ill reboot so i did Right it reboots but instead of normal desktop i Solved: Vista reinstall chaos,neeed help plz. get ONE open folder a Test drive unlimited folder in quot my documents quot from when i installed that game and nothing else the screen is black apart from the TDU folder So i reboot both normally and safe mode and the same thing happens one folder and black screen behind I decide a reinstall is the way to solve it and with that TDU folder open i use it to go to program files and start quot E Recovery quot Luckily it starts ok and i Solved: Vista reinstall chaos,neeed help plz. choose to restore to factory settings all goes well until when it reads on screen with vista picture something like quot Please wait while windows finishes loading on your computer quot with the vista blue ring cursor spinning Then it suddenly hangs the cursor stops spinning for about or minutes and it reboots and a box appears which reads quot the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an enexpected error Windows installation cannot proceed To install windows click ok to retart computer and then restart the installation quot A reboot wil get same result each time and when i try booting from recovery disc made by E-Recovery it hangs with grey screen and white arrow just after loading quot RAMDISK quot To top it off i cant get the quot command promt quot I know its long and boring but i really need help and advice TIA Leraje nbsp

A:Solved: Vista reinstall chaos,neeed help plz.

Not one idea/hint/suggestion,am i that screwed,lol.
Cmon guys help if u can,plz.
Relevancy 51.17%

I purchased a new HDD (750GB 7200 rpm) for my HP Pavilion DV6704nr. At every damn turn, I'm having issues with installing and/or updating Microsoft software. I've been fooling with this since Sunday, I've thrown up my hands.

Microsoft Security Essential, Microsoft Vista SP1, & IE 9.

Vista SP1 has been upload successfully but it still appears in updates. It appears to be stopping other updates from appearing /loading up now... such as Vista SP2

Microsoft Security Essentials uploaded but I received an error code: 0x0218014, virus and spyware definitions connection failed.

IE 9 for Vista, Service Pack is not supported.

My other alternative is to clone the other Vista HDD but I was wanted a clean reinstall. I hate Vista... Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

A:[SOLVED] Reinstall Vista: All Sort Of Problems, Help.

Did you activate Vista? If Vista is not Genuine (activated) then you will not be able to install any Microsoft software or updates. How to Check and Verify Vista Activation Status My Digital Life
Relevancy 51.17%

I recently did a scan with Roguefix to see if I had registry problems and it told be that my beep sys was infected and needed to be deleted to beep.sys (Vista) how reinstall infected Solved: after to complete the scan so I said yes to deleting it so that Solved: how to reinstall beep.sys after infected (Vista) I can complete the scan After completing the scan I was given a link on where to go and reinstall the beep sys but the link didn t work My question is do I need to reinstall the beep sys and is it important If so where and how can I download a fix for it Below are the results of the scan I thought I Solved: how to reinstall beep.sys after infected (Vista) d include logfile of scans by Roguefix V Scan performed Solved: how to reinstall beep.sys after infected (Vista) on The current date is Thu The current time is Files found checking size of beep sys beep sys has been infected Cleaned Temporary files Cleaned Prefetch folder Registry was cleaned and repaired I truly hope someone can help me with this Thanks nettie nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

Computer: Averatec 5100P Notebook / 512 MB RAM / 40 GB

The Averatec was my mother-in-law's work horse but a couple of years ago one of her grandsons decided to load Vista (she had received a Vista upgrade with her new Dell Laptop but chose not to use it because she likes XP better) onto the Averatec and it has never been the same. It moves so slow. Is there anyway to revert back to XP? We have the Vista CD but we don't have the Windows XP cd that came with the computer (although we do have the key code listed on the sticker on the bottom of the notebook). Can I do a full system restore and have the Averatec return to it's original factory settings (i.e. XP)?

Relevancy 50.74%

Skipping the long story I'll just say that I had to wipe my drive and Just need drivers reinstall to [SOLVED] Vista: reinstalled permission reinstall Vista from scratch I knew I was going to have to do it before my computer completely choked though so I went to [SOLVED] Just reinstalled Vista: need permission to reinstall drivers the Drivers folder and copied everything directly onto an external harddrive I thought I could then reinstall Vista from a disk copy paste the drivers for my hardware and I'd be good to go I have reinstalled Vista I didn't get a disk with the laptop so this was a general Windows setup disk that I got from somebody else without my laptop's drivers on it w my own key of course and all went well with that I have however mediocre sound and video no wireless etc So I copied pasted my drivers into the Drivers folder Except when I did I had to skip overwriting quot conflicts quot because I didn't have permission to do that I tried to change the quot Read Only quot setting on the folder but I got the same message about permission and access being denied So I can't install all my drivers and I suspect if I could everything would start working Is there anyway I can get Vista to let me do this or am I going about it the wrong way

A:[SOLVED] Just reinstalled Vista: need permission to reinstall drivers

You could go to the manufacture web site of the laptop and download the drivers save to disk or flash drive from the computer you are on now and transfer them to the laptop.
Relevancy 50.74%

HI, I need help to reinstall my vista op on my lap top toshiba satellite A100 , It came with 2 disks Product recover DVD ROM..I dont know how to wipe clean first hardrive, or if i have to do that , or just put in the disks and it will do it by itself..i did put in the first disk and immediatley i got a blue screen. my laptop was bought in may 2007 , if that helps. I am very green wen it comes to hardware and reinstalling OP systems..can some one please help , ? OH and I think all this happened cos it has a virus.

A:Solved: help to reinstall VISTA OP on toshiba Satellite A100

Reinstalling is sometimes the best and fastest way to sort out a problem, but can also be a major time drain and source of frustration. If you prefer you could detail exactly what problem is prompting you to reinstall, and we could consider addressing that instead.

The process will empty your drive itself, which means that you don't have to do any wiping (unless you want to sell/give away the computer). It also means however that all programs and files on your computer will be lost. Make backups of important files (Documents, pictures, etc) before you reinstall.

Another point to bear in mind if you suspect a Virus caused the problem, is to ensure that you install Anti virus software immediately, before trying to replace your backups.

If you have two disks one will be for the Operating System (Windows) and the other will have Toshiba Software and drivers. Make sure that you use the Operating System Disk.

To use the recovery CD you have to boot from it--basically load its own Operating system which does the work of replacing Windows. You don't put it in while Windows is running--Windows very sensibly protects itself from being overwritten. When your computer first turns on and before you get to Windows, you should see the POST screen. At the bottom it prompts you to press F2 for Setup or F12; you have to press F12. Actually the easiest way is to repeatedly press F12 from the moment you turn it on until you get the menu.

The menu in question should give you options for places to boot from, such as the hard disk, flash disk, and CD-ROM. Select CD with the disk in the CD drive and it should get to work.
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello, I have a HP DV6704NR laptop that wont boot, just a blue screen. I'm going to replace the hard drive but no Vista recovery discs have been made. I have a working Toshiba laptop that runs Vista. Can I use it to make a recovery disc? Also I have a Vista Business install disc that was issued for a Nobilis, would it work with my Vista key? Thanks in advance.

A:[SOLVED] How do I reinstall Vista after hard drive replacement?

A Toshiba recovery CD will not work on an HP Computer. It is highly unlikely, but If the Vista key on the HP is not an OEM (has OEM in the middle of the numbers) then you can use it on your Vista Business disc.
Your HP computer does have a Recovery Partition on the drive, try do a Restore to Factory Defaults. Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows Vista) | HP? Support
If that doesn't work then you can order an HP Recovery CD. Looking for Recovery Discs? | HP? Support
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi I m dell on vista/Questions about Media with windows Solved: Issues CD's reinstall not sure if anybody has had this same issue but here goes After dropping a bunch of money on a Dell Inspiron with Windows Vista I encountered an issue with playing music off the hard drive I transferred all of my music from my external hard-drive downloaded from CD s not the net onto the hard disk and then started it up Regardless of whether I m using Windows Media Player Media Direct the Media Center no matter what I use when each song is almost over usually - seconds remaining you hear what sounds like a CD skipping It lliterally sounds like there is a CD in there and that it s skipping Now this only goes on Solved: Issues with Media on windows vista/Questions about dell reinstall CD's for about two seconds or so but it does so on every single song Incidently I do not have this issue with my wifes Inspiron which runs Windows XP home - it plays the files like a champ which was my reason for purchasing one myself Anyway Dell tech support tried for a couple hours to fix it and then informed me that they were gonna have to forward the issue to some other people that it s probably something to do with the new OS So while I wait to weeks for their response let me ask everyone the following questions Has anybody experienced this same issue and managed to get it fixed If so how Even a complete reinstall failed to fix the problem for me so if anybody has any suggestions I d really appreciate hearing them One of my friends has a dell reinstall CD for Windows XP Professional that he s not using because he upgraded to Vista on his rig Can anybody tell me whether or not I can use this CD to install XP pro on my computer will it function He said something about the sticker on the bottom of my computer but it s a product code for Vista not XP and I d hate to wipe away my recovery partition just to find out it won t accept the product code Any answers and suggestions would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Solved: Issues with Media on windows vista/Questions about dell reinstall CD's
Relevancy 49.45%

A few weeks I had some issues that were fixed with something as simple as performing a DNS Flush Prior to that Dell told me to back up everything on my laptop Inspiron and restore to factory settings which I did Since doing that I get errors which cause my windows updates to fail I m guessing something must be missing now that I restored to factory settings I called Dell asked if I should try restoring to is telling s Vista support) cannot operating Why me Dell (tech reinstall my Solved: I factory settings again and they said that most likely wouldn t work Okay fine Then they told me that I d have to pay them starting at to reinstall my operating system I m guessing that would be considered reimaging my machine Anyway if I have all of my Windows Operating CD s that came with my machine along with the Dell Start up CD why on earth would I need to pay Dell to do it remotely over the phone When I asked the quot tech support quot guy who seemed more interested in trying to sell me their service he danced around the question But in the end he told me that even with those start up disks operating system and the other Dell disk there is no way I d be able to Solved: Why is Dell (tech support) telling me I cannot reinstall my Vista operating s do it on my own Is there any truth to this Why would they give me the disks in the first place Truthfully I m techically challenged Solved: Why is Dell (tech support) telling me I cannot reinstall my Vista operating s Any hope for someone like me Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Why is Dell (tech support) telling me I cannot reinstall my Vista operating s
Relevancy 49.02%

Software: Olympus Master 2

Computer Specs:

HP DV 6748us
2gb RAM
nvidia geforce go 7150m
Windows Vista 32 bit SP 2 (started out without any SP but upgraded one and then two during troubleshooting)
Error Received:
Heading: Microsoft visual C++ library

Body: Runtime Error!
Program C...

this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way

Attempted fixes:

Have updated to SP1 and then SP 2
Have removed most recent .NET framework installation
Have applied hotfix vcredist_x86.exe
Have attempted to use system restore but restore points do not go back far enough to matter
Have attempted reinstall from original disc (also crashes)
Have attempted reinstall from copy of files download from support website.
Have attempted to run in compatibility mode for XP SP2
Have attempted to obtain Olympus Master 1, which appears to be unavailable and not free
Have googled the living heck out of this issue.

Thanks for your help!

A:Solved: Olympus Master 2 crashes on startup/reinstall, OS: windows vista 32bit
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello friends
I have a Intel 845GVSR motherboard with integrated graphics and RealTek Audio.
I want to know that will Vista work on this settings or i have to buy a graphics card?
I used the Vista Upgrade Advisor from Microsoft, it shows a problem with my integrated graphics.
Should i take the risk or be content with Win Xp?
Does Vista has classic display option or only Aero Display?
Answers would be very helpful.

Relevancy 48.16%

Hi all,

I have a set up where I am running Intel Core 2 Duo, DDR2 Ram and video card. Need an upgrade, so gonna get new MB, core i5, ddr3 ram and cheap video card.

Will windows automatically update all this? or will there be issues loading my current Win 7? I just have way too many programs installed and they have had modifications on them, so dont want to reinstall it all.

A:upgrading motherboard, ram & cpu - do i need to reinstall win 7?

You could do any of the following:

1: just build the new PC and connect your hard drive and see what happens. Not likely it will be a smooth transition, but maybe you'd rather take the chance and fight that after the fact than do a clean install.

2: use something like Paragon Adaptive Restore to ease the transition to the new hardware. It has a good reputation, but there is a learning curve.

3: do a clean install.

Most would tell you to go with a clean install although Windows 7 is more forgiving of new hardware than earlier versions of Windows.

I'd probably agree with the majority. You can certainly try the others, but you'd have to make a wild guess as to the total number of hours and frustration they might take in comparison to a clean install.

With a clean install, you can be up and running in some fashion in an hour or so. The re-installation of programs and configuration you have to go through can be spread out over days or a month if need be. Just install stuff when you need it.

It's hard to say whether you'd have to invest 4 hours or 40 hours if you took the other choices. There are a lot of unknown variables at play. You might get lucky or maybe not. If you are a quick learner, you might figure Paragon might be worth a 5 hour investment of your time and maybe it works.

This all ignores the issue of your Windows license. If it's OEM, Microsoft may or may not ultimately let you get away with a new motherboard.

And of course, the free upgrade to Windows 10 will be available within a couple of weeks, so you might want to consider that.
Relevancy 48.16%

I've purchased all the components for my new PC..and it includes a completely new chipset on the motherboard (1151). I recently purchased a windows 10 key from here (Windows 10 Home 32-bit/64-bit English International: Software). The USB flash drive Home version.

I've read around that with windows 10, if you upgrade your motherboard then you need to purchase a new key. I was planning on reinstalling it anyway.

Just wanted to ask if anybody knows if this is a retail version or an OEM?

For my new PC, I have upgraded everything apart from my SSD and HDD's

A:Reinstall with new Motherboard? Win10

Run Showkey plus from this forum and it will tell you if your product key is retail or OEM:

Showkey - Windows 10 Forums
Relevancy 48.16%

I RMA'd the motherboard of a new system I am building because one of its' two banks of DIMM slots was defective.

Is it necessary for me to re-install of the OS once I have the same replacement motherboard installed? If it is necessary for me to re-install, am I going to have issues with my licensed copy of Windows 7, since in theory it is being installed on another system?

BTW, the OS installed fine and the system appears to be stable running off 16GB of memory. Nevertheless, I returned the mobo because I couldn't get my system to recognize the other 16GB of memory installed. I am a PC convert after having spent the last 15 years working with Macs so my knowledge of PC OSs is not terribly sophisticated. This is my second PC build (the first being a hybrid with a mac OS).

A:Replacement Motherboard--Do I need to reinstall OS?

Hi dMathers, Welcome to the forums, If you are replacing "like for like" then there should be no problem as long as you are using a retail copy of win7, if by chance you are using an OEM version then you may have issues where the mobo is tied to the OEM version these are not unsurmountable but may require a phone call to Microsoft to activate the OS
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi I am very new to this kind of thing and my pc skills are limited here goes i took my sons pc to a computer fair yesterday Need Reinstall New Xp? Motherboard To Processor And for new graphics card as it was playing up As it had old motherboard etc i was told upgrading with new motherboard and processor would be necessary as it was on its New Motherboard And Processor Need To Reinstall Xp? way out we did this and also had a new case with him using what bits he could from old pc and when he finally put them in he told me i d need to reinstall windows and then the driver disc for motherboard i have tried to do it this morning setting pc to boot from cd drive as primary and hdd as secondary When i restart it wont boot up from disc jus makes sounds as tho the drive is workingetc if i dont select anything it will reboot and the message says cannot load windows missing dll for kernel or something like that I have called the guy who did it but he wants me to pay him as he says that as he had to remove hdd from old case to new one i need to reformat the drive and to select first boot as cd and second as hdd i have done this but i get a blank screen with flashing cursor and cannot enter anything and xp cd still does not boot up is it me am i doing something wrong as i cannot get the xp disc to load automatically or has he done New Motherboard And Processor Need To Reinstall Xp? something wrong with installing new bits its my sons pc and he breaks up for xmas today and he will do my head in if i cant get it to work as hes an avid wow player hope i New Motherboard And Processor Need To Reinstall Xp? made sense if i missed any details let me know thanks in advance

A:New Motherboard And Processor Need To Reinstall Xp?

The easiest test here would be to download a bootable CD of some sort on another PC - and then try it in the CD drive on this PC. That will tell you if it's the CD or the drive itself.Here's a link to a free memory tester that can be burnt to a CD and will boot from itself:, here's a free tool to burn the ISO file to the CD:'ll have to select the ISO CD/DVD option to burn the CD - otherwise it won't be bootable.
Relevancy 48.16%

Hey all,

My mobo just failed so I am thinking about attempting a mobo swap without a reinstall.

I found this thread: Change Mobo and Processor without format ? where the OP reported success.

If I can get this working, are there any potential Cons that I should be aware of?

If I do have to reinstall how does the Repair reinstall differ than the Clean reinstall?

I already have all my Personal Files on a separate partition on the HD and I will be using the same processor and RAM. Thanks.

A:Change motherboard without reinstall Win 7 x64

Quote: Originally Posted by nabilalk

Hey all,

My mobo just failed so I am thinking about attempting a mobo swap without a reinstall.

I found this thread: Change Mobo and Processor without format ? where the OP reported success.

If I can get this working, are there any potential Cons that I should be aware of?

If I do have to reinstall how does the Repair reinstall differ than the Clean reinstall?

I already have all my Personal Files on a separate partition on the HD and I will be using the same processor and RAM. Thanks.

You shouldnt even have to do a repair, just install and see if it identifies everything. Have the latest mobo chipset and integrated stuff drivers downloaded and ready to go if you can. If Win7 doesnt recognize the new mobo then a repair is a 2nd option.

From your specs it appears this is a custom or homemade PC... if so you really shouldnt have any issues!
Relevancy 48.16%

My parents computer has died and after carrying out some tests I believe the MB has died. The board, cpu and memory are now a bit dated and having looked at replacing the MB I am unable to find one of the same spec.

By far the easiest option is to buy a new base unit but this would come without an OS.

Is it possible for me to retain the current Win 7 OS and use it on a new PC?

Is has been a while since I have had to reinstall Windows on a PC so realise things may have moved on.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any advice.

A:Motherboard failure. Can I reinstall Win 7 to new PC?

Is it possible for me to retain the current Win 7 OS and use it on a new PC?

Maybe, maybe not. Is the computer a brand name? If so the installed copy of Windows stays with the computer. If it is a Custom computer Windows may be a Retail version which can be moved to a Replacement computer. If it is a Custom computer but had the OEM version installed, again it's stuck with that computer. That is the 'gist' of the legals. I have seen an OEM copy from a Custom computer be moved to another Custom computer but not exactly legal. The branded OEM versions usually are coded to allow installing only on that brand, i.e. never able to get a Dell version to install on an HP.
Relevancy 48.16%

I recently got a new motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-81915P-MF). I was on an AGP board and I upgraded so I could get a newer graphics card.
I installed the new motherboard (without uninstalling Windows XP Pro) and I get BSOD. I have tried reinstalling XP PRO, booted from disc. It would work for a while until it froze, and then BSOD again. I have put in new hard drives and it still won't work. I get various BSOD's everytime. I'm not overclocking, my cpu chip is perfectly compatible and I have 2GB RAM so it can't be memory.
Help please, any ideas?

A:HELP: New Motherboard w/o Reinstall, BSOD!!

What are BSOD error numbers?

Did the old mother board have an INTEL Chipset in it?
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello all,

This is my first post so hopefully I won't screw it up. I put in a new motherboard (abit) and now it won't boot up. So I was told I had to do a repair install of windows xp for the new board. I boot from cd, select "r" and after it loads up its files I get the blue screen that says an error has occured and that I need to turn off my antivirus and disk defragmenter.

How do I turn off the antivirus and defragmenter if I can't even boot up? Can anyone help me with this????

Thanks in advance.

A:New motherboard, have to reinstall windows

Please confirm that you are doing these steps in full:

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step
Relevancy 47.73%

I have an issue with the SATA BIOS settings which have options for configure as IDE or set it to as AHCI So now I can only boot Vista when it is set to AHCI and only boot the XP when the BIOS SATA is set to configure as IDE and if not it gives a stop code error B And I did search for a ASUS P QL Pro motherboard BIOS update and I have the lattest version apparently AHCI BIOS Vista motherboard only can settings ASUS Solved: boot Also I did look in each one s Device Manager to check for driver updates such as for the serial ATA controllers So how can I boot both without changing the BIOS setting each time I dual boot with the Vista boot Solved: ASUS motherboard BIOS AHCI settings can only boot Vista manager and in my motherboard manual it does say quot Due to Intel chipset driver support regulation the AHCI mode is not supported in Windows XP environment and is only supported by Vista with OS built Solved: ASUS motherboard BIOS AHCI settings can only boot Vista in driver If I try to boot either XP or Vista without changing the SATA BIOS settings it gives stop code B nbsp

A:Solved: ASUS motherboard BIOS AHCI settings can only boot Vista

Fixed by changing the BIOS SATA configuration settings from that AHCI to IDE, enhanced. And then reinstalled Vista so that both XP and Vista use that same BIOS setting.
Relevancy 47.73%

Do I need to reinstall windows 7 with a Motherboard replacement? The Motherboard was replaced under warranty service. It is working, the only issue is duplicated entries in the device manager. No activation request from windows 7 at this time. The board used was almost identical except for the serial number.
If I did a reinstall, would I need to activate windows? Didn't have to, when I did a clean install before that was the old Motherboard.

A:Do I need to reinstall windows 7 with a Motherboard replacement?

With an exact replacement motherboard no reinstall should be necessary. A motherboard upgrade would be another matter.
Relevancy 47.73%

Guys need some help here My motherboard died on me and so I had to change it together with the processor and RAM motherboard Win reinstall 7 not start will change after or as there were no socket motherboards available locally However Win blue screens every time on start up but very briefly so I can't see the error message Win repair then kicks in but finds nothing wrong so Win 7 will not start or reinstall after motherboard change it goes round and round like that ad infinitum All the repair methods I have found require that you work within windows which is patently stupid if you want to repair because you can't get windows to work - it's a bit like trying to open a box with a tool that's inside it I tried a new install which has backed up my old Windows as Windows old and it goes though all the paces but then refuses to accept the activation code I am now stuck with a non functioning PC and am scared to add anything in the future in case of this type of thing What can I do to recover the old Windows installation Les

A:Win 7 will not start or reinstall after motherboard change

Hello Les, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Is activation your only issue at this point?

It's not activating since you changed the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. It thinks you have installed it on a new computer with it still installed and activated on the old computer (motherboard etc...).

If you have a retail copy of Windows 7, then you should be able to do a phone activation, wait for the operator (if need be), and let them know that you changed out the motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

Hope this helps,
Relevancy 47.73%

My current motherboard is a socket G chipset with x DIMM slots swap Motherboard require reinstall? Will a for DDR RAM I currently have x GB Will Motherboard swap require a reinstall? Kingston RAM in them but need to increase RAM to GB However x GB DDR is so ridiculously expensive it is not economically viable to do Will Motherboard swap require a reinstall? this Around for branded RAM or for unbranded stuff that might be dodgy So I am thinking of getting a motherboard that runs DDR RAM then I can put in GB of cheaper DDR RAM and even with a new Mobo I am still better off even using branded RAM GB would be nice but I don't think socket mobos exist that support that much I am keeping the same CPU Core Quad Q and everything else Running Windows bit My question is will I need to reinstall Windows I would really rather not have to in fact I probably wouldn't bother if that was the case Given that it would be the same chipset same processor I am hoping to get away with it I know I will likely have to re-register Windows but that's fine I don't really want to suck it an see as by then I will have bought everything and have the PC in bits etc I am interested in hearing from people who have done something similar and what the results were

A:Will Motherboard swap require a reinstall?

Do you have a Windows 7 Install disk? If so what version is it? OEM, Retail or Upgrade?

If you do not know take a picture of the Case that the Disk is in then Upload the image

Relevancy 47.73%

I reinstalled Windows 7 here recently and when I did I formated my HDD do I need to reinstall my motherboard drivers? I have been having video stuttering ever since I reinstalled Windows and formatted my drive? Could this be the cause of it?

A:If I format HDD, do I need to reinstall drivers for Motherboard?

Yes. Not only do you need to install your motherboard's chipset drivers, but you'll need to reinstall every device driver.
Relevancy 47.73%

If I reinstall windows after I replace a motherboard will It let me register windows again since it is already registered?

Relevancy 47.73%

I'm sure this has been asked. But I just want to ask a few questions. First off I (obviously) want to get a new motherboard, as well as a new processor. I have reinstalled windows countless times due to hard drive issues and I was wondering if it is absolutely essential to do such if I am replacing such vital parts.

A:Reinstall Windows 7 after replacing motherboard?

It usually isn't necessary to do a full reinstall after a hardware change in Win 7, in most cases. The HAL file seems to be more forgiving than it was in XP, where a re-install or a repair install used to often be required for a motherboard change.

That being said, you will likely need to reactivate Win 7 after the changeover. At the very worst, you might have to do a repair install to get your basic drivers up to date and correct so it will boot. Afterwards, make sure that you freshen up all of the drivers for the new hardware, and you should be okay.
Relevancy 47.73%

I've searched through some other responses to this question but couldn't find the exact answer for my situation. Sorry if it's a repeat.

I recently fried the bios on my mobo and thought this was a good time to upgrade. I will be replacing the mobo and memory but want to keep the rest including my hard drives. I understand there are different thoughts about whether I will have to reinstall XP or if I can repair it.

Would I lose ALL the files on the HD if I have to fully reinstall XP?

Is XP going to not let me reinstall thinking its a new machine? I can't get the files off the HD easily because my bios is toast and I can't boot the machine as it is now.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance -

Relevancy 47.73%

Hello we have a Medion computer that was running Windows XP It was having issues that we narrowed down to the motherboard So we bought a new motherboard and also a dual core processor for it it had a Pent ghz processor We have also bought a new video card and power supply w So we installed the new motherboard and processor and then turned on the computer and it came a point asking if we wanted to start windows normally or start in safe mode etc and it wouldn't go any further than that so we put in the o s disk to reinstall windows We reformatted the hard drive reinstalled windows Everything seemed to go great Then we used the installation disk that came with the motherboard and installed the drivers and then installed the drivers for the new video card Everything was working fine Then we were installing some games First Sims with the expansion pack which seemed to work fine trying to please - Motherboard, problems New windows, reinstall help Then we were installing a Need for Speed game and during the installation the computer said it had a critical error and it did a system dump Then the computer wouldn't turn back on into windows it New Motherboard, trying to reinstall windows, problems - please help just kept getting stuck at the start windows normally or safe mode etc message and wouldn't go past that point So we tried to reinstall windows again We went through the same steps reformatted the hard drive then starting the install process Then about half way through it is coming up with an error message saying it couldn't load some dll file and to push esc to skip the file or enter to retry Pushing enter didn't do anything so I tried pushing esc to see what would happen And each time I push esc it brings up another dll file in can't load and then brings up some exe files it can't load I've tried starting over several times and it just keeps getting to the same point over and over So what can I do to fix this problem Any help would really be appreciated Thanks

A:New Motherboard, trying to reinstall windows, problems - please help

Hello nikkibop

I think you have faulty RAM

If you have more than one stick of RAM (256MB or more) swap them over or take one out and try again with only stick #1. If it does not help or makes things worse swap the sticks and try again with only stick #2. Running with one stick at a time will identify if you have a bad stick. Try moving the RAM to a different slot as well.

You can put either of these free programs on a floppy and test the RAM. Let them run for hours to do many passes if you can

Windows Memory Diagnostic

Memtest on CD ( this is a bootable CD and can be used when you cannot access an operating system)

Use your CD burner to write it onto a CD as an ISO image
Test with only one stick of RAM installed at a time
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi..this is something I was wondering..It looks like I need a new replacement motherboard..I am going to replace it with the exact same model I have..Do I need to reinstall XP ?? any info is appreciated..

A:Do you have to reinstall Windows XP if you same model motherboard replacement ??

You should be fine, though XP will probably want to be reactivated (it will see different hardware Ids).

All drivers should work OK as long as all hardware remains identical.
Relevancy 47.3%

Here is my problem My Dell Inspiron preloaded Windows laptop crashed and the problem was the hard drive I was weeks out of warranty so I went and purchased a hard drive from Best Buy and put it in I did not have a disc from dell when I received the laptop it just has the Windows Home sticker on the bottom of the laptop I did a little research and found that all of this to Motherboard Windows Reinstall loaded 8, How Product Key was correct that they are now quot injecting quot the Product keys into the How to Reinstall Windows 8, Motherboard loaded Product Key system board Although I was out of warranty I told Dell that I needed the software to install windows back on the drive How to Reinstall Windows 8, Motherboard loaded Product Key They said that they would do that So the other day I received discs One was the drivers for the Inspiron and the other was Windows Home premium bit with SP OK so now I am confused I purchased the laptop with Windows x Home premium So is this a mistake that Dell sent me the Windows Home Premium disc or am I supposed to load that and then upgrade to Windows and from there I can't find any information on the Dell site or Google that gives instructions on loading Windows from Windows other than the ones that want a digit Product Key I don't have a product key and these Dell people should know that Anyone else have this issue or know how I can get my laptop going again Thanks for any help

A:How to Reinstall Windows 8, Motherboard loaded Product Key

How to download and clean install Windows 8.1 if you have an OEM computer with UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8/8.1 product key. -> link
Relevancy 46.44%

Problem description Last night I tried to reinstall Windows XP so that its factory default-like Its a custom built PC that I purchased from ebay It came with cds for motherboard drivers and video card drivers When I get to the point where the cd boots after restart it comes up with the normal Windows setup screens Install repair I hit ENTER to install it to the C drive and it says that it does not detect ANY hard drives on my system After being up until am googling and talking to a friend later it seems that I need a floppy Drive Reinstall, Motherboard, Issues Windows and Floppy of the RAID Windows Reinstall, Motherboard, and Floppy Drive Issues drivers Windows Reinstall, Motherboard, and Floppy Drive Issues to install Problem is that I have no floppy drive I Windows Reinstall, Motherboard, and Floppy Drive Issues m willing to go out right now and get an external My questions are will I be able to do this with no problems even if the floppy drive is external as opposed to internal will the computer detect it all the way through the process Also how do I put the RAID drivers on floppy disk with the drivers I had now Attempted fixes I ve used chkdsk and other diagnosis programs to make sure the hard drive and motherboard are fine I made sure that the cables were fine to the hard drive the c drive is working fine as I m using it normally at this moment Recent changes None -- Operating system Windows XP System specs CPU AMD ATHLON -bit CPU - GHz Gaming Chip HARD DRIVE GB RPM SATA- Serial-ATA Hard Drive MEMORY GB DDR RAM VIDEO MB RADEON X graphics Video - Integrated in the Radeon Xpress chipset MOTHERBOARD ASUS A R-MX SI Socket Motherboard GB max memory -channel audio USB SATA PCI Express X PCI Express X PCI DVD BURNER x IDE DVD RW Dual Layer DVD Burner also burns CD s NETWORK CARD LAN Controller SOUND CARD Channel Audio Processor nbsp

A:Windows Reinstall, Motherboard, and Floppy Drive Issues

You're on the right track but an external floppy is a problem as it's connected through USB. I'd recommend installing a floppy ($15.00 new or an old one, free) to do the job then if you want take it out when done.

PS: Welcome to the board.
Relevancy 45.58%

According to Premium (cant to Vista to reinstall Home software upgrade) Vista Business afford cant Windows You are not able to upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows Vista Business I wanted to join one of our developers to our domain unfortunately this developer has a machine running Windows Vista Home Premium We have a license to Vista Home Premium to Vista Business (cant upgrade) cant afford to reinstall software Windows Vista Home Premium to Vista Business (cant upgrade) cant afford to reinstall software Vista Business After reading the website above it is not possible to upgrade only to do a clean install This is not an option for the company since we have some serious deadlines to meet I started doing research online for cloning solutions but the question is rather complex to put in a search query In essence this is what I am trying to do Install a cloning software to make a copy of the hard drive Do a clean install from Home Premium to Windows Business Use cloning software to put all applications user s settings etc exactly the way it was before installing Windows Business without any conflicts Will there be any conflicts i e with the registry or anything else since the applications where installed in Windows Vista Home and now they are running in Windows Vista Business What is the best if possible free cloning software that I could use to clone the developer s stuff Is this even possible I appreciate any help I can get I just started this job and don t want to let my bosses down S Thank you very much CarlitosTSU nbsp

A:Vista Home Premium to Vista Business (cant upgrade) cant afford to reinstall software
Relevancy 45.58%

I have vista home premium, 32 bit. Lost login password. Everybody keeps telling me to reinstall and uninstall vista. I tried that but was prompted for the adm. pw. Is there anyway around this and is the microsoft password recovery tool okay to use. Microsoft techs I talked to this afternoon didn't know for sure.

A:Lost login pw/vista home preium/how can I reinstall/uninstall vista

The answers that can be provided on this forum are limited. This one looks like it may be germane. See Method 3

Reset User Account Password
Relevancy 45.58%

I had to reinstall windows Vista Business on an Acer Aspire AX1200-U1640A 2GB install went well but when I tried to set up my internet, wireless did not show, I called my internet provider we tried to set it up as broadband but that didn't work either. It seems I do not have the drivers for the Ethernet Controller and other things listed under other devices see pictures in attached document. Since I do not have the internet on that computer, I downloaded the Ethernet driver from Acer to a jump drive but I cannot get it to work. Please advise for all "other devices" with the same problem. Oh, yes the Ethernet cord is plugged in and my laptop has wifi. Thanks

A:[SOLVED] Windows Vista reinstall other devices locked, no drivers cannot load drivers

Hi go to acer support page and download and install the chipset driver then try the lan driver
Relevancy 45.58%

Hello again! While trying to reinstall over a system failure on Windows XP Pro, I've tried to use the sticker on the bottom of my laptop to reinstall Windows XP, but it keeps rejecting my key! After several attempts, it keeps rejecting that sticker key. This pre-installed laptop came with no CD and case. Do you think it would be safe, seeing how I plan to do so, buy Vista Ultimate and install it over the same partition? I noticed, while reinstalling XP Pro, my hard drive contents were in tact. I was hoping Vista Ultimate would let me install over my XP Pro, though I'm currently unable to use my product key. Any ideas?

A:Solved: XPPro Product-sticker Key (Reinstall) rejected. Vista ontop XPPro?
Relevancy 45.58%

Due to a problem with a Vista update I had to a complete reinstall of Vista Home Premium. Everything loaded up fine but my Seagate Ext HDD which was mapped a drive "K", now is drive "G." I can live with that but now all my camera card drives (J, K, M, L) don't show up. How do I fix this?

Relevancy 45.15%

I'm not a pro when it comes to computers so you may have to keeps won't reinstall trying from can't to boot, load vista vista disk explain things to me My semi-new computer is having major problems blackbird vista G ram hard drive failed had bad vista won't load keeps trying to boot, can't reinstall vista from disk sectors within first months received a new HD of course lost things and had to reinstall all programs weeks ago vista wouldn't load and I get a blue screen and it kept trying to reboot kept cycling I called tec support for my computer still under warranty and they thought it was a motherboard problem I just put in the motherboard and still have the same problem I can't reinstall vista won't load keeps trying to boot, can't reinstall vista from disk windows vista and I can't boot up in any mode safe or otherwise I can get into setup etc but that's it I can't repair or anything last thing I loaded before the crash was a microsoft headset and of course I can't uninstall it because I can't get into windows I also put a new HD in weeks ago it didn't seems to cause any problems so I have HD's two are my media and have some backup files and the st one has the OS on it When it works its a great computer Any ideas Could it be the hard drive failing again I also now get an error code windows failed to load registry file corrupt or missing status xc looked it up but didn't find any answers that seemed to apply to my problem thanks JW

A:vista won't load keeps trying to boot, can't reinstall vista from disk

Since it is still under warranty, send it back and demand they find and fix the issue. You paid for the warranty. They are being irresponsible in that regards.
Relevancy 42.14%

I just started running Replacing Solved: motherboard with motherboard? identical a Solved: Replacing motherboard with identical motherboard? home business for PC Repair and Tutoring My first customer has a malfunctioning motherboard I believe She has an old Gateway with Win ME I believe that it is the mother board because nothing works on bootup during the gateway splash screen It says that it has detected the keyboard and mouse but also to consult the user manual if a further problem exists The keyboard and mouse won t work with it anyway It goes on to say that there is no hard drive detected and there is no CD-ROM drive detected I am left with a blank black screen with a flashing cursor at the top left hand corner The whole time that it is booting there is a continuous ticking noise I thought that it might be the hard drive for that but it is fine I suspect a bad capasitor My question is this If I find an identical motherboard will a swap go seemlessly or not I am also inviting any other advice on this The only drive that does work is the A drive but when I put a disk in it I get a message saying to take it out and strike any key Well you can t strike any key if the keyboard doesn t work Plus I can t find the any key Just kidding I m not that dumb I knew it was going to be an adventure getting into this business but didn t know how hard it would be to troubleshoot something that was originally a simple issue When I first looked at her PC the Goback utility wouldn t let her onto her desktop because that clock was set for a time that hadn t yet come to pass The ticking noise was present at that time and her original usb keyboard and mouse wouldn t work with the computer either I opened the computer just to see what she had inside it and I changed out the clock battery thinking that this may have had something to do with it I closed it again and the next thing I knew it wouldn t even boot far enough to get to the GoBack screen that was poping up just before the windows startup I doubt that changing out the clock battery would have caused the motherboard to crash That is why I m hear I guess Anyone want to take a stab at it Many Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 41.71%

I reinstalled vista and upon completion I found all my
microsoft mail contacts and itunes library were gone.
Did I lose everything or is there a way to retrieve
my lost items?

A:vista reinstall

If you did not back them up before your reinstallation then there is no way to retrieve these files. These files are stored on your system and are wiped upon reinstall.
Relevancy 41.71%

Apparently, my IEXPLORE.EXE missing after VIRUS clean and now Internet Explorer 7 couldn't start up.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

A:Is there anyway to reinstall IE7 in Vista?

Tried downloading IE7 from microsoft site but it says i already have them installed
Relevancy 41.71%

i bought a pc from a shop and had no disks included, vista home premium was already installed on the machine, i now need to boot up from the cd to run the first aid to try and fix problems i have, worst case scenario wipe the machine and start again but i have no disk.

how do i do this is there somewhere on my machine to create a cd/dvd or can i borrow my friends and use that

please help

A:Vista Reinstall Dvd

You can go to your manual and see how to restore to factory specs. Just like the day that you bought the computer.

Create a Recovery Disc
Relevancy 41.71%

After having problems updating and installing programs I had to reinstall vista. Using the original windows disk it would'nt let me update so I had to do a clean install, I didn't realise this would leave the old vista on. Before, I had used 15 GB of hard disk, now I have used 40GB of my 68Gb hard drive. Is their any way I can get this space back. Also after reinstalling vista the sound doesn't work. I have checked the volume, mute and tried updating the driver, but it says they are working properly.

A:vista reinstall

Reinstall again, and this time choose the option to format your drive. Delete all partitions, recreate, then format. If you have any important data on your machine, it would be a good idea to back it up before you do the format.
Relevancy 41.71%

ok i'm thinking about putting this processor AMD Phenom X4 9950 Quad Core Processor HD995ZXAGHBOX - Black Edition, 2.60GHz, 4MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MTs) FSB, Agena, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket AM2+, Processor with Fan at
in this computer Acer Aspire M1201 BE5500A Desktop PC LCD Bundle - AMD Athlon X2 5000+ 2.6GHz, 2GB, 320GB SATA II, DVDRW-RAM, ATI Radeon 2100 Graphics, Flash Reader, Vista Home Premium, 19" LCD PV.SAY0X.006 at
i have two questions about this
first will this processor work?
second will i have to reinstall vista?

A:reinstall vista?

On the second one - if you already have Vista for that machine, and replace the processor, most likely you will *not* have to reinstall - but you may have to re-activate.

If your Vista install is from a completely different computer, yes, you'll have to start from scratch.
Relevancy 41.71%

Well i had a virus problem and found out it was a win32 sality. Chemist informed me to come here and get my computer reformatted completely to ensure this virus is gone.

I have a few questions first.

Will i need a copy of vista?

How do i know what files are not infected and are safe to bring over?

Thanks for your help, and time i look forward to hearing from someone soon.

A:Need a vista reinstall

Hi. . .

I can help you w/ the re-install of Vista - but can only suggest that you scan all of the files that you want to copy in w/ anti-virus and Windows Defender first. These programs should flag any infected files, but there are no guarantees, of course. You will have to re-install any programs - they cannot be copied over because of the system registry.

Your system should have a recovery partition - usually invoked by tapping the F10 key during boot-up. Or it could be ctrl - F11 together - or the esc key. It depends on manufacturer and model number. If none of these options work, please provide this info and I will see if I can find an owners manual for you.

Regards. . .

Relevancy 41.71%

good day to all !

i have an old acer 5520g, still working but crashed recently when
i was able to start it again many of the original drivers are gone. for
example the touchpad and webcam are no longer working. i have been
looking but there seems to be no option to reload the o.s. and all the
programs from their factory condtions.
is their any way to reload them again and how?
thanks in advance!!!

A:how to reinstall vista without cd

If you type in the start search bar: recover you should see an item named system recovery. Start that and follow the instructions on the screen to start the factory reset.
Relevancy 41.71%

I have 2 internal hard drives. 1 has windows etc the other has an old copy of files from another computer on it. If I restore vista to its original settings can I still keep the data on the other hard drive or will that be erased as well? I have no other external drive to back up to.
Thanks for any help.

A:reinstall vista

It should be okay. To make sure though, disconnect the 2nd drive before installing. Reconnect when done.
Relevancy 41.71%

I need to reinstall Vista Ultimate 32 Im having problems like some games just dont want to connect to their server and both parties My isp and EA has sworn they have checked everything and no problems.

So I just want to reinstall Vista I tried the Vista repair and surprise it finds nothing wrong.
Thanks for your time.

Retail Vista Ultimate.
I tried Microsoft phone support and am put on hold for hours which is just a
waste of my time.

If I ever had Major problems in XP I could just to a repair install and all was fixed
I cant do that with Vista which seems like terrible planning on Microsofts side.

It looks like if you have problems with vista your just screwed totally.
Just a rant of frustration in the last sentence.

A:I need to reinstall vista, HOW? Thanks.

Hi KOz1,

Welcome to Vista x64 Forums.

I'm not sure how to resolve your game problem, but you can try doing a Repair install first, instead of a clean install, to see if that helps.

Repair Install For Vista

If not, then related links 1 and 2 in the above link will show you how to do a clean install with either a Full or Updgrade version of Vista.

Hope this helps you,
Relevancy 41.71%

My desktop started freezing and crashing several times a day just over a week ago reinstall Can't Vista It was fine before that I ve troubleshooted different things and the only thing left I can think of is Can't reinstall Vista reinstalling Vista So I tried to do that Backed up my data inserted the Vista CD and booted it up But it won t reinstall It tells me quot Cannot copy install wim file The file may be corrupt or missing Make sure all files required for Can't reinstall Vista installation are available quot I tried running Setup exe from within windows and by booting from the CD both gave me the same error message So I looked it up Different sites claimed you can just copy the Windows Vista CD onto another hard drive and then click on Setup exe So I tried that Same thing it wouldn t copy the Vista disk because Can't reinstall Vista of the same install wim error So I looked it up some more They claim that you can download new firmware for your CD DVD drive and that will solve the problem So I tried to do that Except my CD DVD drive is generic I can t find the model number I don t even know if there is one it s not listed in system information in system information it just says Standard CD-ROM drives for the manufacturer On the front of the drive it says Super Multi LG lightscribe securdisc but no model Obviously I m not going to be able to find the correct firmware for a drive without a model and that solution might not even work anyway I m at a loss how I m supposed to reinstall Vista if the files won t install themselves This has never happened to me before I ve reinstalled it on this machine twice before with no problem I just noticed the sticky about the August Windows Update crashing computers everywhere Microsoft lists mitigations for the issue here https support microsoft com en-us kb But it doesn t say it s for Vista It says it s for other versions like Windows but doesn t specifically mention Vista So I assume I shouldn t try the mitigations under Known Issue and KB would not solve the problem for me am I right or wrong nbsp
Relevancy 41.71%

I got a Refurbished Sony Vaio a short while back It had Vista installed Well evidently there is some kind of crash and it will not boot into the operating system I get choices of checking hardware which I did and everythng showed ok saving my data starting from a restore point or redoing the C drive The computer did not come with any operating system disk Not sure why although I have heard that some don t now That s confusing to me also I am planning on trying to move the data over to an external hard drive and then I guess selecting the option to wipe the C drive So what do I do go and buy a new copy of vista Or is there some way to get installation disk from somewhere Should I look for a copy of XP somewhere instead Think it strange that they sell computers without installation disk with them Is this some kind of trick to make you buy the OS again Just wanted to plan Reinstall Vista out some before I get started Tips appreciated nbsp

A:Vista Reinstall

Have you tried starting it in SAFE MODE? (F8 during the boot up)

Quite common for many PC's to come without an Operating Disc as the Windows disc costs you extra bucks on top of the PC cost itself.

On the side/back somewhere of your PC, you should see a Microsoft label with a Serial Number that can be used if ever you have to re activate the OS - not applicable in your case obviously! If you can't find this I would be a bit suspicious over who set up the OS but as Vista requires activation after installation I wonder if this could be the problem?

I kind of feel you don't have an option other than to cough up for a new Vista OS disc. Make sure you don't buy the UPGRADE one - you will need the original full install disc! You can get them on Ebay from anywhere between $120 to $150 though the unusually cheap ones may be pirated and have no manual with them!

Most folks agree that Vista is far more stable when installed on a clean (formatted) hard drive so that supports the advice to buy the disc, format the drive and start afresh!

I'd be interested to see how you get on trying to save the data to an external HDD without the OS working properly? Maybe SAFE MODE would get you around this possible problem?
Relevancy 41.71%

I reinstalled Vista over the original operating system and then found I had lost my registration code to my ms office home and student 2007. I've heard of Belarc but the new system is in effect now. I did ask to have the old saved but don't have enough techie to know if I can access it to get the reg code for my ms suite. Help..Thanks

A:Reinstall Vista

You could try this:

The serial number is likely to be in the Software hive.

Open Regedit > File Menu > 'Load hive'.

Browse to Windows.Old\System32\Config\Software and have a look.
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi could anyone help, i am thinking of buying a new mobo, cpu and ram. I have vista ultimate, is there anyway i can ring microsoft like you could with xp and get a new serial?
thanks in advance.

hi i think your mobo would be a problem,unless they where sympathetic to mobo failure or some such issue if you had one
Relevancy 41.71%

My daughter has managed to create massive problems on her presario laptop that I have decided to backup data and just reset to factory settings. Unfortunately using the system restore feature, there are no restore points referenced. HP is not providing much help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Everything is backed up...and ready to go.

A:How to reinstall Vista

Do you have a Vista DVD? If not, then you probably need to do the restoration from your recovery partition. Try combinations of keys on boot:

(Alt or Ctrl)+(F10 or F11 or F12).
Relevancy 41.71%

Hello guys:

I previously had Windows XP, and when it started running slow and performing poorly, I reinstalled a completely new copy of XP. Of course that erased all of the drivers, programs, history, ect. The computer ran great after that, but it took me a while to reinstall everything and figure it all out.

My current computer with Vista is now running slow, and poorly. I want to do the same thing. I know I am going to have to reinstall everything, what are all the drivers I will have to install? Also, is there anyway to back up my ITUNES music, and McAFEE anti virus? I don't want to lose either of those things, But I don't know how to save them. Everything else is easily replaceable, I can reinstall Itunes, my web browser, routers, but all of the drivers and things scare me. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated

A:Want to reinstall Vista

and welcome to the Forum

What Brand and Model is the pc? If a custom build, what brand and model Motherboard
Relevancy 41.71%

I need to reinstall my win vista ultimate, but I have no installation dvd. I am curious if I can find installation file of vista on my PC. Vista was preinstalled, but maybe within WINDOWS folder, in subfolders there is such installation file.

Relevancy 41.71%

I am running Vista Home bit on an Acer T I recently upgraded the CPU from an Athlon Sempron to a Athlon X Now when I boot the PC Vista of Reinstall Vista freezes as it boots I can still boot into Safe Mode and also using a Live Linux DVD Also surprisingly sometimes Vista will boot and will run fine and both cores of the CPU are recognised I obviously Reinstall of Vista need to solve this problem but am unsure how to proceed After the PC freezes I reset it and after a reboot am taken to a screen with the safe mode option that also advises using the Vista repair option I have a DVD of Vista not an OEM but without SP but I have installed SP on the PC So what do I do Can I use the repair option or do I need to uninstall SP first If this does not work is it possible to reinstall Vista from inside Vista when it is running so that my settings are preserved Again with or without SP If that is not possible then I will reinstall Vista by booting from the DVD I know this will mean reinstalling all my programs from scratch but will all my MP 's photos etc be preserved or Reinstall of Vista does Vista wipe the Harddisk Any help would be much appreciated Cheers Darren

A:Reinstall of Vista

Originally Posted by Scutworker

I am running Vista Home 32bit on an Acer T180. I recently upgraded the CPU from an Athlon Sempron to a Athlon 64 X2. Now when I boot the PC, Vista freezes as it boots. I can still boot into Safe Mode and also using a Live Linux DVD. Also, surprisingly, sometimes Vista will boot and will run fine and both cores of the CPU are recognised.

I obviously need to solve this problem, but am unsure how to proceed.

After the PC freezes, I reset it and after a reboot am taken to a screen with the safe mode option that also advises using the Vista repair option.

I have a DVD of Vista (not an OEM, but without SP1) but I have installed SP1 on the PC.

So, what do I do?

Try installing chipset drivers if you haven't done it already

Originally Posted by Scutworker

If that is not possible, then I will reinstall Vista by booting from the DVD. I know this will mean reinstalling all my programs from scratch, but will all my MP3's, photos etc be preserved, or does Vista wipe the Harddisk?

Any help would be much appreciated.

If you reinstall it all of your documents, mp3 will be gone/erased overwritten. Try with the chipset drivers first, if that doesn't work reseat your CPU
Relevancy 41.71%

I reinstalled vista in my laptop and now I have 2 vistas. It didn't erase the old copy vista, my programs and documents. I want the new download. How do I erase the old one?

Hello davidmac and welcome to the forums

It sounds as if you've forgotten to format the drive prior to installing Windows. Try following this tutorial:

Clean Install with a Full Version of Vista

Don't miss out any steps and you should be fine

Relevancy 41.71%

A:MS wants us to reinstall Vista and then Win 7.

That's the idea. Most of the general public will want to upgrade, and so Microsoft need to test under those specific conditions to 'iron' out and upgrade issues.

IMO they should have done this with Vista, but that OS has just been shot dead by Se7en
Relevancy 41.71%

I want to reformat my harddrive and reinstall Windows Vista Now of course I want to keep all of my documents and files etc How do I create partitions one for the new installation and one Vista reinstall for the backup files I plan on deleting everything except for program files and user folders that should be everything i need EDIT I want to do this because i think there are some virus activity and corrupted files and im Vista reinstall tired of the windows errors and bsods i think its just easier to reformat and start over Its saying stuff like quot you need to be an administrator to Vista reinstall do this quot when im the only user on the computer ALSO I have another hard drive that I took from an old computer in my computer for storage Can I move the files to that Vista reinstall hard drive e from c and completely wipe c make my partitions then move everything back from e to c

A:Vista reinstall

Formatting will delete everything on the drive. There's no way to keep Program Files and then move it back to the new Vista install. You can certainly backup your documents and move those back.

As far as the 2 partitions, are you saying you want to create those for the new install or you want to create those before doing the install?

You can partition the drive during Vista install but if you want to split your existing partition into two drives you'll need a partition program and enough free space to do that.
Relevancy 41.71%

I think it would be safer and probably less time consuming to reinstall vista
Also I am using a Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn ADSL2+ modem router (11nwireless)
It setup my internet connection automatically then I went in and changed the password for my ISP provider login so it wasnt the factory default anymore. I then tried to use the disk that came with the unit and that didnt work so I was unable to do any looking into the firewall situation at the router level so I am not sure what the automatic situation might be here. I guess I am only running windows firewall individually on the 3 separate computers.This probably sounds so nieve. Could I get some advice here.

Relevancy 41.71%

Hi there my laptop has complety messed (on desktop pc atm)

recovery console not working
recovery cd not working
i would like to know where i can download a installion from windows vista home premuim 32bit

A:Need to reinstall vista

Hello Simon,

What brand is your computer? There may be an alternative method to booting into the recovery console for it.

If you cannot restore Vista back to factory defaults at all, then other than purchasing a new copy of Vista or ordering a replacement copy from the laptop manufacturer's website, you may be able to use a recovery disc from a friend that has the same brand and model of laptop that you have.

Hope this helps for now,
Relevancy 41.71%

and restore my backup, will my computer be exactly as it was, since the backup was made with Vista? BTW, I did NOT use the Easy Transfer Wizard

A:If I reinstall vista...

It depends on how you did the backup and what you backed up. But, in general the answer is "No, it won't be the same."

In particular you'll be missing any updates, settings, and other adjustments that you've made to the system.
Relevancy 41.71%

I don't even know where to begin but lets start with I am a computer NOVICE I Vista Reinstall have very light understanding of computers I was trying to clean up my hard drive to sell my laptop and I didn't have a program so I went online and downloaded Nuke amp Boot apparently there in lies the problem after the nuke amp Vista Reinstall boot I received an error saying BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart When doing that is starts a vicious circle and nothing ever changes and nothing ever gets better Vista Reinstall to google I went looking for the fix apparently I need a Vista Reinstall window's installation disk and it's a simple fix so I called HP since that's what type of laptop I have they tell me they no longer support Vista and I have to call Microsoft directly called Microsoft and they no longer support Vista either and can not help me back to google to find out where to buy the CD Ordered a Window's Vista System Recovery Disk Installation Repair Restore Recovery Disk it came in the mail today I did as instructed and all was installing fine about half way through and than all of a sudden everything stops and a different screen pops up and I get another error saying In not so many words Windows has encountered a problem Status OxcOOOOOe Info An unexpected I O error has occurred Went to google again and to be completely honest I don't understand a word of what is being suggested for the fixes So I took the computer into a local fix it company and they guy behind the counter didn't even look at the computer before telling me it wasn't fixable I left there and took it to a local Geek Squad and they told me they could fix it but it would cost me thousands of dollars and for that price I might as well just buy a new one I am at a complete loss and don't have the foggiest idea of how to fix this computer If someone could help me or point me in the direction of what to do or where to go or even if it's worth the hassle I've been at this for what seems like an eternity and I'm frustrated because I don't understand and I'm ready to set the dumb thing on fire and forget about it
Relevancy 41.71%

I tried to do a clean sweep of my vista os by reinstalling it but it wouldnt read my recovery cd. So I installed xp on a separate drive until I could figure out whats wrong. When I try to run the cd with xp it still doesnt read it but I can play music cds. I got partition magic, i can explore the drive but I cannot reformat it. Please Help.

A:Need to reinstall vista on hp

have you tried cleaning the DVD? Is it read correctly in another computer?
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi I had a bad hard drive that i finally had to replace in the process i decided to reinstall Vista home premium bit that originally came with my machine Install seemed to go fine i did the updates i got it to update to service pack just as i had it before My problem is when Vista Help Reinstall im trying to install programs that i download such as Adobe flash u torrent i download the exe and it saves to my downloads folder but when i click on the icon to install it does nothing Reinstall Vista Help its as if i didnt even click on it I tried running in admin mode and it still does nothing I thought maybe that it was because i had a old version of IE so i tried to update it but i had not luck doing that either it wont install IE it starts to install but then it gives me a error and sends me to this page https support microsoft com en-us kb I do know IE is built into vista and when i check my version it says IE i have no idea of how to get around it I use firefox browser as far as i can tell i have it set as my default browser When i installed firefox back on the PC all my updates seemed to work well Now when i go into windows updates i click check for updates and the thing just sits there with the green bar going back and forth but it dont come up with anything it will just sit there looking like its searching I appreciate any help in advance thanks Also when i run windows update
Relevancy 41.71%

I have two refurbished Reinstall Vista gateway laptops with windows vista home premium the are not the exact same model Vista Reinstall but very similar hardware Now the problem is that one of them crashed The hard disk is completely inoperable I have no restore disk only the recovery partition which i can t access I have ordered a new hard disk but i can t get the recovery disk from gateway because i suppose it is refurbished Now the questions Can I make a recovery disk from from the recovery partition on laptop B to install on laptop A I would change the license after the install of course Or could i copy the partition through my network to the new hard disk on a third computer Would it work They are SATA drives and should work in another computer just fine I would love some help if I can t i suppose i will bit torrent vista because i own the license so I don t feel bad doing it but it still seams like I could get in trouble nbsp

Gateway should be able to sell you a set of recover disk fro this failed system.
All of the other OEM's do as far I know.

I have gotten them from Sony and HP for less than $30.00 US including shipping.
Relevancy 41.71%

hello I have win vista on my computer, and I want to reinstall it in XP, please explain me what changhes must I do in BOIOS before reinstallation? and how must I create partition for XP throught the reinstallation????

You want to install XP to dual boot with Vista? Vista is already installed?

Do you want to put both on the same hard drive?

Do you have the XP CD?

Follow this tutorial as it is the same for Vista as wtih Win7:
Relevancy 41.71%

I am new to the IT field and as part of a test to improve my skills I have a few questions that I need help with::

List a few ways to repair windows installations without a windows cd when WINDOWS WILL NOT BOOT INTO NORMAL MODE
The following additional difficulties exist.
-Pressing F8 to do last known good, and safe mode are NOT AVAILABLE or Working
-Original Windows CD is not present
-Hard drive IS working
-Customer's data is of vital importance
-Customer would PREFER to avoid a reinstall
(list different ways for xp and vista if there are any.

Thanks in advance,

A:Help with XP and Vista Reinstall

As mentioned in an earlier post I am a newbie and have a few questions for a skills test I am working on:

List some ways to remove a virus when you
Install common antivirus programs in windows normal mode
access msconfig in normal mode
access taskmanager in normal mode
do a system restore in normal AND safe mode
access the internet in normal mode.

Thanks folks,

Relevancy 41.71%

I had one drive of a RAID 0 array die on me. My plain is to reinstall Vista on the surviving drive. When I get to the point where I choose which drive to install on, my only choice is a recently installed 2TB hard drive that contains all of my backups, which I obviously need. The drive does show up in BIOS and in diskpart, just not in the Vista install program. I did delete the RAID Array, and also I have connected the HD to a different bank of SATA connectors. Is there something else I need to do to make Vista understand that the drive is no longer part of a RAID?

A:Can't Reinstall Vista

If you don't want windows installed on the external drive I would have it connected when you do so. Have you checked the bios settings? Are you sure that that drive isn't dead? Have you run any diagnostics?
Relevancy 41.71%

I have some problems with reinstalling my IE 7 and i'm hopping that you'll help me.
1. i'm using vista so when i'm trying to download a fresh copy of IE7 i'm getting the message "Your computer already has Internet Explorer 7. It is included with Windows Vista" and i'm given the option to download a copy for win XP. how can i download a copy for vista (or maybe it doesn't matter).
2. After i'll have a copy i'd like to uninstall the current copy of IE7. but as it seems now it's impossible. I've seen few ways for doing it but i didn't succeed. i don't see it on the list of "Programs and feathers" and i can't find the "spuninst.exe" in IE7 folder. so how can I uninstall it?

Thank you for helping me... (I'm sorry about my English it's not very strong).

A:reinstall IE7 (vista)

Hi. . .

Check this link for IE7 resetting - but it does not include re-insstalling:

I also suggest that you run sfc -
START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe | select run as administrator | type the following - note the space after sfc:

sfc /scannow

Let it run - there is no min/max time

Then re-boot to allow it to repair files that it cannot as they are most likely in use.

Regards. . .

Relevancy 41.71%

Hi friend
I have window vista home premium whick comes with IE7,last night i download and installed IE Beta but i want to reinstall back IE 7,I am not finding any option to revert it back and i can download IE 7 from any site
Plz help me
Anoop Shivhare

A:Reinstall IE& In Vista

Hi. . .

I would suggest that you first try a system restore -
START | type rstrui.exe into the start search box and hit enter. Choose a restore point from a period prior to the install of IE8.

Regards. . .

Relevancy 41.71%

i couldnt get my desktop to stop from being with black with no start menu so i reinstalled vista ultimate and everything went well. i go to restart it one more time and when it pops up this comes up................

Booting 'windows vista'

vista loader 2.1.2

fallback 1

error 17: file not found
booting 'window nt/2000/xp

fallback 2
find--set-root /ntldr

error 17: file not found
booting 'enter command line'

boot failed! press and key to enter command line

i dont know much about computers so i have no clue wat to do please tell me someone can help me
Relevancy 41.71%

I recently needed to reinstall vista because of a missing bootmgr which would not allow me to boot up windows I tried everything I could think of to prevent a reformat of my os hard drive but after a couple days of Vista Reinstall nothing but failure I gave up and did the only thing I could think of and wiped out the drive and reinstalled windows Just to clarify I did buy Vista and have been using it for about six months prior to this problem However the case which I thought contained the authorization key was just the box that Vista Reinstall housed the dvd case which I am assuming must have the key Because I have recently moved I Vista Reinstall am unable to find the dvd case which contains the key I need I tried going through microsoft tech support but it seems that you Vista Reinstall need a authorization key or pay to get any help from them Since I refuse to pay Microsoft no more than they deserve I am stuck with an os that has days until well whatever it is I am sure I won t like it Is there a way to get in touch with microsoft to resolve this problem or am I destined to buy another key If I can get in touch with them will the cardboard dvd case cover be enough to convince them that I am in fact a customer It has several barcodes and other information on it Any advice will be appreciated During the reinstall windows did combine all the files that were previously on the disc into a folder Could my old key be in there nbsp

If the key is there, it is encrypted, anyway.

Can you bring the evidence to the place where you bought it?
Relevancy 41.71%

I have a Toshiba l-305-s5933 laptop with 3gigs ram;
I have created the recovery discs but they won't boot?
I am told that there is a reinstall partition that allows the system to reboot to its original configuration, does anyone know how to access and activate this partition.
I do not have the original vista discs.
thank you
[email protected]

First remove your email address, unless you want spam, spam, spam.

Here is my list for computer methods to restore factory configuraion.

If it does not work, it will be shown in your compuer manual, hard cover or online.

Laptop Recovery Instructions - Tech Support Forum
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi everyone! My family's got 3 computers: One that is about to bust because it's 10 years old, a 4 year old laptop that's slow, and mine. Anyway, the four year old computer is really slow, and I reckon if you would format it, and then reinstall XP over it, would that make it any faster? I know this because before I got this computer I was using that one. My family also complains a lot about it. I know they'd have to backup everything before they did it, but would it work? I also should mention the four year old one is running Vista :/ And the reason it's slow is because the PC doesn't have enough ram; the laptop's got 1, when I think Vista requires 2? Please inform me if that would work! Thanks!

A:Reinstall XP over Vista: Would it run any better?

Prima facie, yes, XP should run better on a 1 gig ram machine than vista. But you can also add more ram.