Windows Support Forum

Searching by file type, showing files that are not that type?

Q: Searching by file type, showing files that are not that type?

How do I search a directory for a file type, and have it only show files that aren't that file type.
For example, searching a directory for only .jpg, and have the search only show files that are not .jpg, such as .txt, .png, etc.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Searching by file type, showing files that are not that type?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 95.46%

Some of the thumbnails aren't showing up windows explorer even though they are the same file type. There will be 12 episodes of a show in .AVI or .MKV, and only 9 will have thumbnails, the other 3 don't. I have the Haali Media Splitter on to show thumbnails and I installed the Windows Service Pack to to it too (not sure which one is actually working, if I had to guess I'd say it's Haali).

To enable the thumbnails on Haali Media Splitter I click it, the went: options → explorer integration → show thumbnails (yes) → thumbnails offset (10000)

Not sure what is wrong...can anyone help?

And this is a problem with pretty much all the file types, some thumbnails showing and some not when they're in the same folder and I got them from the same source (all the files in a folder are either AVI or MKV, but the problem happens with both)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406845/some-thumbnails-not-showing-up-same-file-type/
Relevancy 95.46%

Hello all,
This is my first post on the forum 
The problem is this:  I have been finding files all over my computer with type "deealster."  This seems like it could be some kind of malware, but I have not found anything referencing this anywhere!  Though it does look like people have had issues with something called "dealster" (one "e") before. 

Example:  In my Web/JSF project folder (Project>build>web>WEB-INF>classes) there is a file called "_netbeans_update_build" and another called, "_netbeans_update_resources" both of file type "deealster."

I also see a lot of these types in my glassfish folders.

Like I said, I could not find anything when I googled this, which is actually one of the reasons I believe this might be something malicious.

Anyone else have a clue?

-Nick

A:File type "deealster" showing up

Welcome aboard   Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop. Double-click SecurityCheck.exe Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.NOTE 2. SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.NOTE 3. If you receive UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! message restart computer and Security Check should run Please download Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) and run it on the computer with the issue.Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet ServicesWindows FirewallSystem RestoreSecurity Center/Action CenterWindows UpdateWindows DefenderOther ServicesPress "Scan".It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.Please copy and paste the log to your reply. Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Devices (do NOT change any settings here)List Users, Partitions and Memory sizeList Restore PointsClick Go and post the result. Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) to your desktop.NOTE. If you already have MBAM 2.0 installed scroll down.Double-click mbam-setup-2.0.0.1000.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:

Launch Malwarebytes Anti-MalwareA 14 day trial of the Premium features is pre-selected. You may deselect this if you wish, and it will not diminish the scanning and removal capabilities of the program.
Click Finish.On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' linkAfter the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
A Threat Scan will begin.When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.In most cases, a restart will be required.Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.If you already have MBAM 2.0 installed:On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' linkAfter the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
A Threat Scan will begin.When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.In most cases, a restart will be required.Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.How to get logs:(Export log to save as txt)After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.Click on the History tab > Application Logs.Double click on the Scan Log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.Click 'Export'.Click 'Text file (*.txt)'In the Save File dialog box which appears, click on Desktop.In the File name: box type a name for your scan log.A message box named 'File Saved' should appear stating "Your file has been successfully exported".Click OkAttach that saved log to your next reply.(Copy to clipboard for pasting into forum replies or tickets)After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.Click on the History tab > Application Logs.Double click on the Scan Log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.Click 'Copy to Clipboard'Paste the contents of the clipboard into your reply.Download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR) to your desktop.Warning! Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit needs to be run from an account with administrator rights.Double click on downloaded file. OK self extracting promp... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/597849/file-type-deealster-showing-up/
Relevancy 95.46%

So lately i found this nifty lil Twitter app that comes with Windows 10 But when i click a tweet with a vine retweet or such it gives me an error saying "Unsupported Video Type Invalid File Type" Has anyone been using the twitter app lately and are getting the same error?
-Cheetha

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/43686-unsupported-video-type-invalid-file-type-windows-10-twitter-app.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Hi all,

Built my new computer yesterday and installed Windows 7 64 bit, Enterprise.

I have noticed that the file type icons aren't showing in explorer, while little it is extremely annoying as when searching for an excel document for example I just look for the icon.
It seems to work for some icons and not others- as shown in the image below.

Is there any fix for this?

Thanks

A:File type icons not showing in explorer

Icon Cache - Rebuild

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/248531-file-type-icons-not-showing-explorer.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Well i just got this computer a few days ago, i noticed that the compressed zip folder options in new> was missing, i looked it up and found a registry fix and it fixed it, but i still have one problem- .zip shows as an unknown file extension, i tried deleting the .zip config in the registry to restore to defaults and i've tried all the fixes out there and all got the same result, they just won't work! Any help please?

Edit: I do not want anyone telling me to download a 3rd party program like winzip or winrar etc. i just want to get this fixed

A:.zip extension showing as unknown file type?

Hi and welcome to TSF did you try this Restore the Windows XP native Zip file integration

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/zip-extension-showing-as-unknown-file-type-652222.html
Relevancy 93.31%

So, after I let a baby play with my keyboard, my desktop icons now display the file type and size of the icon. I've tried looking in the personalization options and googling for a fix but haven't had any luck thus far.

If any one could lead me to a fix or point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Screenshot is attached.

A:Desktop Icons Showing File Type and Size

After clicking around, right clicking the desktop > View > and clicking either small, medium, or large icons, seem to set the icons back to normal.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/24042-desktop-icons-showing-file-type-size.html
Relevancy 92.45%

i am facing this annoying problem with my win7 sp1 x64 system

whenever i set my default browser to chrome 11 i cannot see the icons on saved web pages (web page complete)
see 1st scrshot

now when i set firefox4 as my default browser voila!! i can see the icons
2nd scrshot

A:FILE TYPE ICONS NOT SHOWING WITH CHROME AS DEFAULT BROWSER

This happened also to me and didn't find a solution, sorry.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/152839-file-type-icons-not-showing-chrome-default-browser.html
Relevancy 89.87%

Is there a way to search specifically for files that are hidden?

I've got a several folders with a mix of hidden files, that I want to get rid of, and non-hidden files, that I want to keep.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

A:Searching files by type: "hidden"

Hi BoBzzz. . .

Welcome back to TSF.

I would use a back door entrance for this one as Windows Explorer within Vista can be especially restrictive. First, let's get you a listing of the folders/files involved (that have the H = hidden file attribute).

Issue the following commands from an Elevated command prompt ("DOS" prompt) - I will use the \users\Default folder for this example and get a listing of all of the hidden files in this directory (folder) and all sub-directories (sub-folders) and files within:

START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe above under Programs | select run as Administrator. . . and the black DOS screen should appear with the prompt reading C:\Windows\system32>_ - type the following and hit enter after each line:

Code:

cd \users\default

dir *.* /a:h /q /s > %userprofile%\documents\$file-list1.txt

The file named $file-list1.txt should be in your documents folder.

Legend:

Code:

dir = directory listing

*.* = all directories/files. Change this if you wish. If looking for mp3 files, the mask would then be *.mp3 - if looking for mp3 & mp4 files beginning with the letter A = a*.mp* - the asterisk is a mask which equals any number of characters

/a:h = list only hidden files - those with an H file attribute

/q = display the owner of the file (in case file permissions enter in here)

/s = display all files found within the current directory and all sub-directories of it

If you can provide a few examples containing file names and folder location (the path - e.g., c:\users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Music = your music folder), I will gladly provide you with the commands to delete the files (we will use the del command - but be careful!). Also, if you need any help interpreting the output, please post back and attach the entire text file.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/searching-files-by-type-hidden-280146.html
Relevancy 87.72%

(I'm using Home Premium with lots of resources.)

How do I get Vista to allow me to open more than 15 files (like twenty 100 kb jpegs) simultaneously?
and:
How do I get Vista to allow me to open more than on type of file (like a handful of jpegs and gifs) simultaneously?

Please note that this was NOT a problem with Windows 3.1, 3.11, '98, or XP!

F&C

A:Open more than 15 files or more than 1 file type?

Help me out here, I've never heard this problem before. What is Vista doing when you try this? LOL i can conclude what it's NOT doing, it's not letting you open the stuff, but what does it do to express it's displeasure, lock up, crash, curse at you?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/305535/open-more-than-15-files-or-more-than-1-file-type/
Relevancy 87.72%

I was playing around on my computer with regedit.exe, I found file type .exe and clicked it. There were two files (looks like a piece of paper torn in half with red letters "ab" on it), I right clicked the first, went to modify, and changed the value from "exefile" to "C:\Users\Stewy\Pictures\green.ico" just to see what would happen. Then, I logged off and back on, and all my .exe files looked like the default file icon (just a piece of paper), and when I clicked them, nothing happened. I only got on the internet through a shortcut to a website I had previously made. When I right-click the .exe files, and go to properties, then the details tab, it says "Type: C:\Users\Stewy\Pictures\green.ico", how can I change it back to" exefile" if I can't open regedit.exe?

Thank you,
Stewy

A:How do I change file type of all .exe files?

Give this a shot:
Default File Type Associations - Restore

Might be good to back up your registry first. Just in case things get worse instead of better. But I've seen posters use this tutorial with success. Shouldn't be a dud.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/263087-how-do-i-change-file-type-all-exe-files.html
Relevancy 87.29%

How to create a batch file that will move files based on the file type?

My Requirement : I need a batch file to copy all .doc files in all my HardDisk to a removable disk say (Z: drive) . Can anyone make it possible using a batch file?Please...Its urgent...

A:How to create a batch file that will move files based on the file type

Download XXCopy
XXCOPY, A Versatile File Management Utility --- Boldly Extended Xcopy
This is a vastly improved and extended version of DOS XCopy
Sorry, can't remember the syntax, but its quite simple if you read the manuel carefully :-)
Put the command line in a .bat file and it will run

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/121361-how-create-batch-file-will-move-files-based-file-type.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Files with no extension are now listed as file type "savingtoyou", They should be file type "file"  How do I fix that?

I have found some guides to change the file type of all files with a specific extension, but this is for all files with no extension.

This symptom appears to be a result of a malware infection, but I have already cleaned it out with mse, hitman, adwcleaner, mbam, and jrt. That doesn't fix the file type issue though.

A:Fix file type for files with no extension, savingtoyou

I found a couple instances of savingtoyou in the registry and changed them to say File. Now instead of the file type showing up as savingtoyou, it shows up as "URL:File Protocol" any idea how to fix that?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/595399/fix-file-type-for-files-with-no-extension-savingtoyou/
Relevancy 86.86%

In Windows XP, Explorer I was able to select multiple files of different file types, right click and select print. In Win 7 64 bit print is not a choice when I select multiple files of different types. Is there a way to make this work or is it just an option that was left out of Win 7 for some reason?

A:Printing multiple files of different file type

You could try creating a shortcut to the printer in the 'Send To' folder:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo.

You'll likely have to unhide hidden files and/or show Operating system files:

Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide

I think that should work, although I haven't tried it myself. This places the printer in the Send To (right click) context menu. You just right click on the selected files, choose Send To, choose the printer.

James

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/136899-printing-multiple-files-different-file-type.html
Relevancy 86%

dds.txt   25.81KB
  1 downloads

after removing the fbi virus, I have noticed all my files are of file type html now....please help if ya can

thanks
beau

A:all files changed to file type html after fbi virus

Download decrypt_mblblock.exe to your desktop.The complete usage instructions and video can be found here.If you only have a single hard disk with one partition, then only thing you need to do is start the tool.Windows XP users can simply double click and run the tool, Windows Vista, 7 & 8 users need to run the tool with administrator rights.Now it will automatically scan your complete hard disk for encrypted files, when there are encrypted files present it will automatically decrypt those without deleting the encrypted originals.After the decryption check that all of the decrypted files open properly.Once you have verified that the files were decrypted properly you can delete the encrypted HTML files.If you have more than one hard disk or partitions with encrypted files, things get slightly more complicated. To scan and decrypt files on those other hard disks or partitions do the following:While holding down the Windows key now press the R key. The Run Box will now appear.In the Run box Type in cmd.exe and press Enter.The Windows Command Line prompt should show up.You first need to switch into the directory where you downloaded the decryption tool to.This can be done using the cd command: cd /d <path>Just replace <path> with the path you downloaded the decryption tool to. If you downloaded it to C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads for example the exact command line to type in should look like this:cd /d C:\Users\Administrator\DownloadsIf you did everything right you will see that the command prompt changed slightly and now references the download directory.Run the decryption tool with a list of all your drives you want the tool to scan. If you have a C:, D: and E: drive for example, run the tool like this:decrypt_mblblock.exe C:\ D:\ E:\Please be patient and refrain from using the computer for other tasks while the tool is runningLet me know how it workedGringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/495596/all-files-changed-to-file-type-html-after-fbi-virus/
Relevancy 86%

What I'm running into is a problem trying to add a handler for any file to the context menu. I add a key to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell and add a key to that as command. What happens is, instead of just running the program with filename as param, I get a dialog "always use this program for this file type" with a checkbox checked, or "keep using blah blah"

If I uncheck the box and hit Enter, nothing happens. So I can't run an "all files" handler without assigning it to every file type I happen to open with it. I'm sure the registry is a big mess.

What did they change since Windows Seven? I don't get it.

A:W8 tried to assign All Files Context Handler to file type

Nevermind. It's easier to put the program in the SendTo Menu. Someme extra clicks to launch but ...

Send To Context Menu

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/35210-w8-tried-assign-all-files-context-handler-file-type.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I work for a company that uses laptops for testing. I have to setup around 10 at time usually. I am trying to come up with an effective way to scan these computers for viruses when they return to the office. The catch is I have to find something that doesn't install any software on the machine. What would honestly be perfect for me would be something that works like McAfee free scan. The computers have an internet connection while I configure them so if I had something like that running on one of our webservers, or it's own dedicated server so the server would update with definitions as they were available. The free scan installs an Active X control which is perfectly fine. I just can't install Norton or AVG or anything like that. Does anyone know of anything like that?

Thanks

A:Searching for a specific Type of Anti-Virus

Portable Antivirus:http://www.pendriveapps.com/software/porta...virus-firewall/But most of them don't scan for all viruses. Clamwin scan for all viruses but it is considered not good antivirus.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/221016/searching-for-a-specific-type-of-anti-virus/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi I was just playing some of my MP s in my My Music folder and in music with file unknown files Strange type folder... I noticed that there were some strange and Strange files with unknown file type in music folder... unrecognized files in that folder As a matter of fact it looked like it had made one file for each and every MP file that I had I tried to open the file and it was not immediately recognizable what program should be used so I clicked Use Web Service to Find Program or something and it took me to Microsoft which gave me more information Microsoft informed me that this file type is not recognized by Windows and did not give me much more information than that However it did refer to me to a website that has an archive of file types So I went to the website Again the file type was unknown I figured that surely this file type must be something that is for some use Surely it is used by some program I own The file type is sfap Basically I have one file for each MP file that basically shows the name of the MP file and then that strange file extension For example here is the file name of one of these strange files -metallica-st anger album version -btb mp sfap Well nevertheless these files were annoying because they were getting in the way of organizing my folder and finding my MP s so I hid them all I am worried that this is possibly the work of a virus or something I don t think I have noticed this before though Anyway what should I do Does anyone have any insight for me This is really kind of strange and I d like to get this problem solved ASAP By the way I run Windows XP Professional Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 84.71%

Hi Everyone, I was working on my friends laptop that had a virus. I'm not sure what it was but we ended up backing up the info in the user folder (Pictures, Docs, etc...) and reinstalling Windows 7.
The computer is working fine but, seemingly, all the files I back up now have an added ".tatsyfc" at the end of them, making the computer thing that ",tatsyfc" is a file type. Even after deleting the ,tatsyfc and typing the correct file type (PDF, DOCX, JPEG, etc..) the files won't work, citing corruption. 
I've removed many viruses before but haven't encountered this yet.

Any information that could help me resolve this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :D

A:Weird file type extension on files due to virus .TATSYFC

The newest variants of CTB Locker typically encrypt all data files and rename them as a file with a 6-7 length extension with random characters. The newer variants also do not always leave a ransom note if the malware fails to change the background, like it generally does. Compounding matters, the newer CTB-Locker infection has been seen in combination with KEYHolder, Torrent Locker (fake Cryptolocker) or Cryptowall ransomware. Unfortunately, there is still no known method of decrypting your files without paying the ransom and with dual infections, that means paying both ransoms.A repository of all current knowledge regarding this infection is provided by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), in this tutorial: CTB Locker and Critroni Ransomware Information Guide and FAQThere is also an ongoing discussion in this topic: CTB Locker or DecryptAllFiles.txt Encrypting Ransomware Support & Discussion. Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any questions, comments or requests for assistance in that topic discussion.ThanksThe BC Staff

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566535/weird-file-type-extension-on-files-due-to-virus-tatsyfc/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi All,

In IE9 or IE11, when I try to download a .zip file it downloads fine but is not getting recognized by WinRAR. There is no extension and Windows doesn't know what to do with this. The same file gets downloaded fine and is recognized if downloaded from Chrome
or Firefox.

I want to know what settings in IE(if any) might be causing this?

It is important there are many systems on IE and can't immediately shift to any alternate browser.

When downloaded from Firefox this file recognizes its original extension;

The same file when downloaded from IE 11 doesn't recognize its Extension. 

The same behavior occurs for any file downloaded from any source.

I have narrowed it down and found that it is because we are downloading it via an Apache layer. If I try the same download via a localhost (no Apache
layer), it gets downloaded easily.

Please advise.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c7505ed5-0dae-4b6c-b9fe-396f0e24cf69/ie-11-doesnt-render-file-type-extension-when-downloading-zip-files-via-an-apache-layer?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 82.99%

I have recently bought a new mobile phone made to specifications of Telstra here in Australia I have received photos from two different friends which are in the phone as quot Multimedia message s quot The phone came with software called Joinme written by a local Melbourne company for transferring photos to and from a PC as well as backing up calendar other message files viewing file .sqm, type a this file of type etc As a beginner I have managed to transfer all Multimedia messages and Text messages from the phone to my PC and appear on my PC with a file type sqm ie for both the Multimedia and Text messages Windows cannot select a program to view the photos received file type .sqm, viewing a file of this type as a Mulkimedia messages I rang the company who write the Joinme and an unhelpful software support person told me to go and read their web site and anywhere the file type is a consequence of that used by the originating phones my photos come from two different friends Can anyone help with a possible viewer for the sqm files nbsp

A:file type .sqm, viewing a file of this type

I dobut your gonna find a program to view them in Windows. SQM files are typically log files anyway. The program that makes them and your phone are you best if not only two ways to view them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-type-sqm-viewing-a-file-of-this-type.817704/
Relevancy 81.7%

Turned the PC on this morning and all my files audio picture and video now have the file type at the end of the My files type the file the of file end name? at the have file name so instead of cars it reads cars mpg same for all other file types Why Also had new desktop icons quot Desktop ini quot which open in wordpad as some directory log But now every folder now contains a desktop ini file some have thumbs db file Also quot This PC quot has several device driver icons appeared which are empty but ask for a disc to be inserted they read ie CF MD E and SM xD F aswell as a G and H i've no idea I have not changed any file specs it just appeared today I have many thousand files and need them to be short for work i don't want the My files have the file type at the end of the file name? added mpg jpg mp etc added Do i just system restore how did this all happen though Was it an update Also Another seperate issue my PC takes several minutes to shut down though this has happened for most of the time i've had this PC which is only months Using W on XPS how do i solve it how to prevent it TIA

A:My files have the file type at the end of the file name?

Hello Shau, and welcome to Eight Forums.

It sounds like you may have mistakenly set to show known file extensions. The tutorial below can help show you how to turn this off.

File Name Extensions - Hide or Show in Windows 8

You also set to show hidden OS files (ex: desktop.ini). The tutorial below can help show you how to not have them show anymore.

Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/46354-my-files-have-file-type-end-file-name.html
Relevancy 80.84%

To Whom It May Concern or anyone willing to help About - weeks ago guesstimate I started getting a random window popup at various times while browsing online The semi-odd thing about it is -same type of popup on both ie amp my & a popup type on chrome find Unable & now grrrr started! ie, to new adware-type both Chrome browsers - I hadn t downloaded installed anything around then I havenot been able to find their source - Have not found any scan malwarebytes Panda pcpitstop Unable to find adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, & now a new type started! grrrr etc that seems to locate it nor does my Winpatrol The popup windows vary in advertisers but most frequent is for the game quot Big Farm quot They are always fullsized page amp open in a new window not just a new tab without my regular menu Unable to find adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, & now a new type started! grrrr toolbar etc on top I did notice a little icon right before the url it shows at very top clicked it amp got a menu-thing showing the permissions of the settings etc amp I could click to view cookie data in which I was thinking quot yippee I got it quot lol I can quot remove quot amp quot block quot however each time I can make sure I do all of the however it doesn t seem to help because in a little bit quot poof quot it comes up just as before Of course it can get irritating Now as of days ago I ve suddenly gotten a new amp BIGGER annoyance Quite often especially when I open my browser amp go to do anything such as switch sites pages open history etc I get a blackish popup come down about over my page and has a video box which seldom starts amp if it does play a video it doesn t ever start to play for at least seconds amp below video has a button that says quot SKIP AD in or seconds quot amp then counts down to usually a quot playnow quot amp quot download quot button shows where video screen was then I can hit the skip button amp it goes away So far I haven t been able to get the video nor the buttons etc to actually take me anywhere or do anything even I think the video is usually using jwplayer It also happens just the same nomatter if I m using Chrome or ie Any clue If I had an idea of their name or source I should be able to find some sign of their existence in regedit but I don t seem to find any indication anywhere including at top or bottom of screen when they open The two types of popups do not look or act anyway similar related P S I also have checked my extensions etc in each browser amp in my programs Thank you very much for your time amp assistance HOPEFULLY I got this all done posted right HiJackThis Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Unknown Windows WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files x Pinger Pinger exe C Program Files x FreeAlarmClock FreeAlarmClock exe C Program Files x BillP Studios WinPatrol WinPatrol exe C Program Files x mail com MailCheck IE mail com MailCheck Broker exe C Program Files x Yahoo Widgets YahooWidgets exe C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files x HP HP Software Update hpwuschd exe C Program Files x Yahoo Widgets YahooWidgets exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files x Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files x Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Windows SysWOW DllHost exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files x Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Users Christopher Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page https www google com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink p LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Pa... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-find-adware-type-popup-on-both-chrome-ie-now-a-new-type-started-grrrr.1124144/
Relevancy 80.84%

I haven't figured out how to get rid of it.. i don't see anything I set in ease of access.  it's making like s a squish sound every few letter i type.  it doesn't do it like for every letter.  it's not when i touch the mouse pad either.  please give me some ideas on how this happened..??

A:Inspiron. I don't know what settings I screw up on but when i type I hear like a squishing sound on every so many letters i type.

Always include your model name and number as well as the operating system when posting a question. Also include a clearer explanation of the problem.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19682841
Relevancy 80.84%

About - weeks ago guesstimate I started getting a random window popup at various times while browsing online The semi-odd thing about popup source Unable both chrome of on adware-type & type! find a ie, to new now it is -same type of popup on both ie amp my Chrome browsers - I hadn't downloaded installed anything around then I havenot been able to find their source - Have not found any scan malwarebytes Panda pcpitstop etc that seems to locate it nor does my Winpatrol The popup windows vary Unable to find source of adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, now a new type! in advertisers but most frequent is for Unable to find source of adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, now a new type! the game Big Farm They are always fullsized page amp open in a new window not just a new tab with no toolbar etc on top Of course it can get irritating Now as of days ago I've suddenly gotten a new amp BIGGER annoyance Quite often especially when I open my browser amp go to do anything such as switch sites pages open history etc I get a blackish popup come down about over my page and has a video box which seldom starts to play for at least seconds amp below video has a button that says SKIP AD in seconds amp then counts down to then I can hit the skip button amp it goes away It also happens just the same nomatter if I'm using Chrome or ie Any clue If I had an idea of their name or source I should be able to find some sign of their existence in regedit but I don't seem to find any indication anywhere including at top or bottom of screen when they open The two types of popups do not look or act anyway similar related P S I also have checked my extensions etc in each browser amp in my programs Thank you very much for your time amp assistance

A:Unable to find source of adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, now a new type!

Hello angelgabbby I would like to welcome you to the Malware Removal section of the forum.Around here they call me Gringo and I will be glad to help you with your malware problems.Very Important --> Please read this post completely, I have spent my time to put together somethings for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier, faster and smoother for both of us!Please do not run any tools unless instructed to do so.We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability.Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post.Please read every post completely before doing anything.Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process.Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the "Follow This Topic" Button, make sure that the "Receive notification" box is checked and that it is set to "Instantly" - This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster.NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of heartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer.NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.These are the programs I would like you to run next, if you have any problems with one of these just skip it and move on to the next one.-AdwCleaner-Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click on Scan.After the scan is complete click on "Clean"Confirm each time with Ok.Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.-Junkware-Removal-Tool-Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".The tool will open and start scanning your system.Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.When they are complete let me have the two reports and let me know how things are running.Gringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/530996/unable-to-find-source-of-adware-type-popup-on-both-chrome-ie-now-a-new-type/
Relevancy 80.84%

so a few years back i read a magazine that said to change the type of computer in device manager to standard pc because it made the computer run a little better or faster so now i ve got my laptop and i ve noticed it type type device in manager! can't computer back original to change getting slower and thought that i would can't change computer type back to original type in device manager! do this VERY BAD MOVE i can still boot windows and everything - it meant that i had to let the computer reinstall all of can't change computer type back to original type in device manager! the drivers for my hardware - but i have noticed in the device manager now that there are two instances of standard pc there is also a new section titled other devices with about devices that seem to have no driver for them - some mention ISA so i am guessing that changing to standard pc means that windows thinks my laptop is now a desktop pc with ISA slots i find that when i put my laptop lid down the thing shuts down when i press the power button it turns off straight away doesn t even shut down i had had the laptop configured for ages to do nothing when i closed the lid and give me shut down options when i pressed the power button i look in power options and i can only cinfigure the monitor screen and hard disk power off options - every other option is not available when i do bring up the shut down options i can no longer choose standby i have also realised that i can not turn on my wireless connection - i ve tried all sorts to get it to work with no avail the laptop is an acer ferrari and when i call up the manager app it says that bluetooth and wireless are not present by the way i can still get the bluetooth button to work - correction - it starts up with the button on but if i turn it off it won t let me turn it on again the emanager and presentation manager buttons on the laptops casing don t work either i have to access them via software route my questions are is it possible that something is going on with the acer part of my system - with regards to the buttons and also the wireless and bluetooth can i change my computer type back to acpi uniprocessor pc yes it is compatible and will this solve all of my power option limitations other device entries have i got any of my suspicions right and is there anything i ve missed by the way - i really really really don t want to reinstall windows xp all over again because it has taken me about months and COUNTLESS hours to customise my system to a T i was hoping to get it perfect and then backup an image so i have a better starting block in the future if i reinstall the system i haven t got the windows install discs on me because they are at another location far away and i can t get them very easily at all - i do have an image to reinstall from however but it would take forever to recustomise everything again every bit of help is a life saver - thank you in advance even ideas are appreciated Steve nbsp

A:can't change computer type back to original type in device manager!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-change-computer-type-back-to-original-type-in-device-manager.589607/
Relevancy 80.84%

About - weeks ago guesstimate I started getting a random window popup at various times while browsing online The semi-odd thing about it is -same type of popup on both ie amp my Chrome browsers - I hadn't downloaded installed anything around then I havenot been able to find their source - Have not found any scan malwarebytes Panda pcpitstop etc that seems to locate it nor does my Winpatrol The popup windows vary in advertisers but most frequent is for the game quot Big Farm quot They are always chrome new now adware-type both to type! on find ie, popup Unable source & of a fullsized page amp open in a new window not just a new tab with no toolbar etc on top Of course it can get irritating Now as of days Unable to find source of adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, now a new type! ago I've suddenly gotten a new amp BIGGER annoyance Quite often especially when I open my browser amp go to do anything such as switch sites pages open history etc I get a blackish popup come down about over my page and has a video box which seldom starts to play for at least seconds amp below video has a button that says quot SKIP AD in seconds quot amp then counts down to then I can hit the skip button amp it goes away It also happens just the same nomatter if I'm using Chrome or ie Any clue If I had an idea of their name or source I should be able to find some sign of their existence in regedit but I don't seem to find any indication anywhere including at top or bottom of screen when they open The two types of popups do not look or act anyway similar related P S I also have checked my extensions etc in each browser amp in my programs Thank you very much for your time amp assistance NOTE the st time I ran gmer it fried on me amp restarted computer so I ran it with the quot sections quot clicked I saved the ark then I reran it again but with the original options amp it ran ok that time so I saved its ark also amp named it quot ark quot Im posting them both I hope that is best Ark txt sections c drive selected Ark txt the normal choices

A:Unable to find source of adware-type popup on both chrome & ie, now a new type!

cginn73,

Hi and welcome to TSF.

I am currently reviewing your logs. Please note that this is under the supervision of an expert analyst, and I will be back with a fix for your problem as soon as possible.

If you haven't already, please Subscribe to this Thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant notification by email, then click Add Subscription.

Please be patient with me during this time.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/unable-to-find-source-of-adware-type-popup-on-both-chrome-and-ie-now-a-new-type-823929.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I set up an Outlook account on a new-to-me laptop I had been Is device? default type type of deteremined email by account unable to download email for several months since I didn't have a computer I had been saving the emails I wanted to keep and had planned on downloading them into my new computer After setting up the account it appeared the system automatically downloaded Is default email account type deteremined by type of device? all of my email from the server I know this is default behavior which I turn off So I went through that process double-checked to see that all the email was downloaded and went out to my server I discovered that what I thought were copies of the emails were left on the servier I didn't want that to happen I dug around to find the location that I have used many times to do this and couldn't remember or find the location to make this change So I came to Seven Forums I saw the step-by-step instructions go to the account select it click change click advanced and uncheck the box that says quot Leave a copy of email on server quot When I went to the advanced dialog box for changing accounts I discovered there wasn't any such box I dug around some more decided to subscribe here and ask why mine was different In the mean time since all the email was downloaded to my computer I went back out to my server deleted all the email and purged the trash Then I went back to my Oullook and discovered all the email that I had quot downloaded quot was gone After digging some more and callling my ISP service desk I discovered that I had set up an IMAP account rather than a POP account There was no place to change this in this account so I deleted the account and went through the process again When I got to the account type the only types showing were IMAP and exchange There may have been another option but the important thing is that POP was not one of the options Down at the bottom of the screen was a checkbox to allow custom set up I checked that and discovered there the POP choice I clicked that and the account behaved as I want deleting copies of emails from the server as they are actually downloaded I have set up several Outlook accounts on various computers before This is the first time I have ever had this happen I have never seen the IMAP as a default before but this is also the first time I have installed it on a laptop Was it this way BECAUSE I was adding the account on a laptop There was another account on the computer which I deleted and it was a POP account so it wasn't some sort of previous setting that just followed over All I know for sure is that having this as default cost me a bunch of time and effort and some extremely important emails Any feedback besides quot Pay closer attention to what your various screens say when you are setting up an account dummy quot

A:Is default email account type deteremined by type of device?

Hello Hagridore and Welcome to Seven Forums!

No, I don't believe the problem is because it is a Laptop.
Email can be very confusing to setup with the different protocols such as POP3, IMAP, and MAPI.

Referring to "Outlook" can be confusing, as it can mean different things.
Outlook may mean the MS Office Outlook client email program, or an Outlook.com email address.
MS has created confusion here imho.
When you say "Outlook accounts" do you mean email accounts in the Outlook client program, or Outlook.com email address's, or both ?
What email client program are you using, such as MS Office Outlook, MS Windows Live Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, ... ?
Also fwiw, for WEB (online) access, Hotmail accounts are being converted to the outlook "WEB format" now...just to make it more fun

From what I know, setting up an Outlook.com (or Hotmail) email address with IMAP does not work without a 3rd party paid solution.
MS uses their own proprietary MAPI protocol (or POP3) for hotmail/outlook email address's accessed in a client program.
If it is possible to use an Outlook(Hotmail) email account with IMAP in a client email program, I would like to know how!

When I delete a POP account (Windows Live Mail) I get a warning about messages that might be lost...
Did you get a warning message when you deleted the POP account?

edit:
I just looked at this again, and see it's in the Office forum.
So, can I assume you are using MS Office Outlook on all the PC's?
If so, what version(s)?
Also, who is the email provider such as Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, MS, ...?

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/283902-default-email-account-type-deteremined-type-device.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi
Windows 8 hypervisor hyper v is bare metal hypervisor. And vmware workstation is not. So will the new any difference between these two in terms of performance on a Windows 8 machine?
Is there any article document contrasting these scenarios?

A:Performance comparison of type 2 hypervisor vs type 1 hype

A simple web search should give you plenty of information.

http://www.eightforums.com/virtualization/30179-performance-comparison-type-2-hypervisor-vs-type-1-hype.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I have 2 router one is a thompsons speed touch (wire) and the other a linksys(wireless) and i cant get the ps3 to connect to the internet properly everytime i try i get nat type 3 (that is limited connectivity) so if anyone know how to configure the router so i wont have that problem please help

A:Solved: How to get from nat type 3 to nat type 2 using two routers one wired other n

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-to-get-from-nat-type-3-to-nat-type-2-using-two-routers-one-wired-other-n.788709/
Relevancy 78.26%

Since about weeks both laptops startup extremely slow and 5742ZG 15" type type 17" wit... Travelmate P273-M whereby the ZG is slower than the P -M It can take more than minutes before the ZG responds on mouse commands in a normal way The P -M is quicker but also significantly slower than before Both laptops react in a similar way during startup CPU and RAM usage drop off after a few minutes but there remains nbsp a high level of disk I O on Travelmate 15" type 5742ZG and 17" type P273-M wit... both laptops After the harddisk I O becomes Travelmate 15" type 5742ZG and 17" type P273-M wit... normal both laptops operate in a normal way for the rest of the time Both laptops I have upgraded to Windows a few months ago and both worked ok My impression is that after the latest Windows update to build startup has become so slow Checked Taskmgr on harddisk activity at startup and found the following same for both laptops Service Host local system network limitations Service Host local service network limitations Service Host local systemare responsable for disk I O of to during to minutes at every startup Both laptops are cleaned regularly by running Privazer Also the list of startup programs in Windows auto start is very limited No virusses and malware found Also used Windows Problem Solver but nothing found Also done nothing special with both laptops indicating to me it has something to do with the Windows update s Does anyone has an idea

http://community.acer.com/t5/Travelmate/Travelmate-15-quot-type-5742ZG-and-17-quot-type-P273-M-with/td-p/405818/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 78.26%

I am using Chrome m -bit Windows Home Premium Service Pack I haven't done a thing to my computer and now I in HELP Firefox Chrome, yet Google PLEASE! in type type anything can Can't I.E. can't type into Google Chrome Omni Box Incognito or any other part of Chrome Even this message had to be done in a word document and cut amp paste here I tried my backup browser Firefox and it also has the same problem Yet when I go to my last resort IE it works fine I turned off all my extensions and add on and it still didn't work I reset Google Can't type anything in Google Chrome, Firefox yet can type in I.E. HELP PLEASE! Chrome by using Reset Settings and nothing I downloaded a new Google Chrome and still the same problem I tried to go back on my Windows using System Restore yet this didn't work as the possible earlier dates said the files were bad I tried to add another search engine under settings yet I can't type into any of the Chrome boxes I ran Malwarebytes AVG Sypbot Kasperay home scan and nothing was found I ran the Google Clean Can't type anything in Google Chrome, Firefox yet can type in I.E. HELP PLEASE! Up Tool and nothing I can access Word Pad I have msftedit dll on my system C Windows System I use AVG for my anti-virus Windows Firewall and OIbit Malaware fighter I went to Google conflicts and it said no conflicts See the results at the bottom of the page I am using Chrome m -bit Windows Home Premium Service Pack I haven't done a thing to my computer and now I can't type into Google Chrome Omni Box Incognito or any other part of Chrome Even this message had to be done in a word document and cut amp paste here I tried my backup browser Firefox and it also has the same problem Yet when I go to my last resort IE it works fine I turned off all my extensions and add on and it still didn't work I reset Google Chrome by using Reset Settings and nothing I downloaded a new Google Chrome and still the same problem I tried to go back on my Windows using System Restore yet this didn't work as the possible earlier dates said the files were bad I tried to add another search engine under settings yet I can't type into any of the Chrome boxes I ran Malwarebytes AVG Sypbot Kasperay home scan and nothing was found I ran the Google Clean Up Tool and nothing I can access Word Pad I have msftedit dll on my system C Windows System I use AVG for my anti-virus Windows Firewall and OIbit Malaware fighter I went to Google conflicts and it said no conflicts See the results at the bottom of the page Here is the info on Google Chrome version which I'm using Google Chrome Official Build m -bit Revision e e b edc a a ad dc ae e fd-refs branch-heads OS Windows Blink e e b edc a a ad dc ae e fd JavaScript V Flash User Agent Mozilla Windows NT Win x AppleWebKit KHTML like Gecko Chrome Safari Command Line C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end Executable Path C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Profile Path C Users John AppData Local Google Chrome User Data Default Variations b d d-afba f fb fc - f a df c bc -f a cdd eadf-ca d d ba f da-ca d d f a - d f f ebbd - f a df f c c -ca d d dca- f a df e c f -e c cd c ba-ca d d f cb b- d f f b - e d a ea a -ecbb e d b a - d f f e - cf a aa da - a e de -ca d d ce f - dd dbffab d-ca d d d aa- a e f ae a- c ad ac - e a c f c- bbed aae -d f b c ed d -e cc f f f a -d f b c e b - ad e e - ad ab - f a df Compiler MSVC Modules loaded into Google Chrome This page lists all modules loaded into the main process and modules registered to load at a later point Modules - No conflicts detected Software Signed by Version Location Microsoft Office Shell Extension Handlers Microsoft Corporation commonprogramfiles microsoft shared office msoshext dll Shell Extension -- Not loaded yet Microsoft Windows Live ID Namespace Provider Microsoft Corporation commonprogramfiles microsoft shared windows live wlidnsp dll Kaspersky Lab programdata ka... Read more

A:Can't type anything in Google Chrome, Firefox yet can type in I.E. HELP PLEASE!

I bet it has something to do with this:

Zemana AntiLogger Free Zemana Ltd. 1.8.2.320 c:\program files (x86)\keycryptsdk\keycrypt64(1).dll 

Try disabling/uninstalling it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/619603/cant-type-anything-in-google-chrome-firefox-yet-can-type-in-ie-help-please/
Relevancy 78.26%

Since about weeks both laptops startup extremely slow whereby the ZG is slower than the P -M 15" P273-M type type Travelmate and 5742ZG 17" wit... It can take more than minutes before the ZG responds on mouse commands in a Travelmate 15" type 5742ZG and 17" type P273-M wit... normal way The P -M is quicker but also significantly slower than before Both laptops react in a similar way during startup CPU and RAM usage drop off after a few minutes but there remains nbsp a high level of disk I O on both laptops After the harddisk I O becomes normal both laptops operate in a normal way for the rest of the time Both laptops I have upgraded to Windows a few months ago and both worked ok My impression is Travelmate 15" type 5742ZG and 17" type P273-M wit... that after the latest Windows update to build startup has become so slow Checked Taskmgr on harddisk activity at Travelmate 15" type 5742ZG and 17" type P273-M wit... startup and found the following same for both laptops Service Host local system network limitations Service Host local service network limitations Service Host local systemare responsable for disk I O of to during to minutes at every startup Both laptops are cleaned regularly by running Privazer Also the list of startup programs in Windows auto start is very limited No virusses and malware found Also used Windows Problem Solver but nothing found Also done nothing special with both laptops indicating to me it has something to do with the Windows update s Does anyone has an idea

http://community.acer.com/t5/Travelmate/Travelmate-15-quot-type-5742ZG-and-17-quot-type-P273-M-with/td-p/405818
Relevancy 77.83%

Now before you get excited and hit each type showing. Image not Background folder for reply to tell me what to do read this carefully and read it again if you have to I don't see a background image for any of my folder types on my system I already went into Advanced system settings to make sure it was checked which it is rebooted and nothing Unchecked it rebooted Checked it rebooted Nothing I have done nothing to my system I do not install rd party themes I do not use any tweak programs to modify the appearance of anything So what's the deal Why am I not Background Image for each folder type not showing. seeing a background image for each folder type Let's review No background image for each folder type Already went into Advanced system settings to check the option there No rd party apps installed ever or tweaking done Ideas Perhaps it's been removed in the lastest version of Vista P S I already went Background Image for each folder type not showing. into Advanced system settings to check the option in Background Image for each folder type not showing. case you didn't know

A:Background Image for each folder type not showing.

Hello Pharaoh,

You might use the free program Vista Folder Background instead to accomplish this easier in Vista.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/186528-background-image-each-folder-type-not-showing.html
Relevancy 77.83%

So I edited the imageres.dll file and edited some icons however the icons don't show. The folder icons only show when the layout is set to large images, but if I set it to list or details or small icons the default icons show, why? look at the images below..

A:Icons not showing if I change layout type

Did you use a multilayer icon or a single layer icon? Put the icon that you used in a zip folder and post it here so I can look at them.
Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/205949-icons-not-showing-if-i-change-layout-type.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I have a ECS A790GXM-A (no tweaks) and and AMD 940 Black Edition processor. I had the original BIOS and just updated it to the latest version. Both show in device manager as AMD and processor type unknown. I just tried the chip in a ASUS motherboard (ASUS M3A78-T) same AMD 790 chipset and loaded the drivers from the ASUS cd and the processor shows up correctly and runs a awful lot faster than the ECS board. Anyone experianced this? Is there a problem with the board?

A:Phenom 940 not showing Processor type in Device manager

It's recommended to update the BIOS then install Windows (not the other way around)
Obviously confirm all system drivers are up to date
Or do a Repair on Windows

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/part3.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/part3.htm

Vista Repair:
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winvista/index.htm (index page)
http://vistahomepremium.windowsreinstall.com/repairstartup/repairstartup.htm (guide)

This is why posting more info helps

For further help: Please put your System Specs information in your Profile

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/phenom-940-not-showing-processor-type-in-device-manager.121879/
Relevancy 76.11%

We have upgraded our systems to Windows From XP I have setup Indexing on our server and the employees use the Search Bar upper right on a window to search for a file they are looking for However we have over folders that we are looking though Is there a Default set/add Searching: Search options "Type:Folder" to Change way to set the Search to default type Folder Or have it search just folder names instead of showing files also If I type in quot quot it will take a minute to search everything and Searching: Change Default Search options to set/add "Type:Folder" give me files folder If I type in quot type folder quot it will take seconds and give me folder When the employees are on the phone quicker the better and having them put quot type folder quot after everything is time consuming for them I've looked around online and i'm not sure if i can do this The computers using this are running Windows Pro x Updated to Current Server is Windows Indexed folder the employees are searching in Updated to Current

A:Searching: Change Default Search options to set/add "Type:Folder"

You'll probably want to go with something like FileSearchEX to avoid retraining. There are a few others but this one closely matches your question.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/294360-searching-change-default-search-options-set-add-type-folder.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I just had an issue with the google redirect and some trojan viruses on my computer which I think I successfully removed via the registry. However now whenever I post in a discussion thread for my school website (Canvas) this automatically posts after it. I don't see it until it's posted and when I edit and delete it, it comes back. Here is what keeps popping up:

// <![CDATA[ var __chd__ = {'aid':11079,'chaid':'www_objectify_ca'};(function() { var c = document.createElement('script'); c.type = 'text/javascript'; c.async = true;c.src = ( 'https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://z': 'http://p') + '.chango.com/static/c.js'; var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];s.parentNode.insertBefore(c, s);})(); // ]]>

PLEASE HELP!!

A:Strange code showing up after what I type in school website discussion posts

Run a scan with MBAM:Download the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop.Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When completed, a log will open in Notepad.Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtNote: You will need to use Internet explorer for this scan - Vista and win 7 right click on IE shortcut and run as adminGo to the Eset web page to run an online scanner from ESET.Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scanclick on the ESET Online Scanner buttonTick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.Click StartWhen asked, allow the ActiveX control to installClick StartMake sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked and the Scan Archives option is ticked.Click on Advanced Settings, ensure the optionsScan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications, and Enable Anti-Stealth Technology are ticked.Click ScanWait for the scan to finishClick on copy to clipboard or copy and paste the results here in this topic

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/458613/strange-code-showing-up-after-what-i-type-in-school-website-discussion-posts/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi,
Am using Google drive spreadsheet.It is showing black shadow on while typing letters
on that excel. kindly give me a solution for this issue.
Thanks & Regards,
Chelladurai

A:Google drive spreadsheet is showing black shadow on while type letter

You have got a lot of threads started with problems with the same computer.

Please don't start any more threads for the problems your system has. It just confuses things.

Please complete my requests/suggestion in this thread.

Desktop display is not in proper

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/374495-google-drive-spreadsheet-showing-black-shadow-while-type-letter.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi I have pop up error message Unable to cast object of type System Boolean to object 'System.String'" to Solved: Unable type type cast 'System.Boolean' to of type System String quot comes up every Solved: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Boolean' to type 'System.String'" time windows started So Solved: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Boolean' to type 'System.String'" I check the msconfig if some start up software has error but I couldn t find anything I unchecked all start up application and reboot it but still have error message So I go event viewer then I found the error happened in the same time I start up the windows so this might be the one This is info for error I got Log Name Application Source WMI Event ID Level error Event filter with query quot SELECT FROM InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN WHERE TargetInstance ISA quot Win Processor quot AND TargetInstance LoadPercentage gt quot could not be reactivated in namespace quot root CIMV quot because of error x Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected Is there any way to fix this error so that pop up error might stop Thank you nbsp

A:Solved: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Boolean' to type 'System.String'"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-unable-to-cast-object-of-type-system-boolean-to-type-system-string.1084910/
Relevancy 74.82%

Finally after 3 weeks I find this solve for this error message

{ Unable to cast object of type system.boolean to type system.string }

by this tool " CCleaner" and It's works! 100%

Enjoy ​

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-cast-object-of-type-system-boolean-to-type-system-string-solved.1094703/
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a smartphone running Windows Mobile 5.0. I tried to install Acrobat Reader and it didn't work. Now the .pdf association with File Viewer doesn't work. Does anyone know how to create file associations? Either a registry hack or free software would be good.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-mobile-5-question-file-type-association-associate-file-viewer.910125/
Relevancy 72.67%

I opened a PDF file in notepad then in Word, now all PDF in my windows explorer shows a Word-like icon and file opens automatically in word.  I checked folder options and rebooted the machine, but it still shows that icon.  

How can I get the PDF file type icon back and file opens in Adobe automatically?
Thanks for any tips!

A:How can I get PDF file type icon back in Windows Explorer after I opend the file in Notepad?

Found it -
Control Panel > Default Program OR  Start >Default Program (if the shortcut already there) > select PDF file type and change default file association > pick Adobe 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bfa024e2-63b7-433a-83ea-c440c0fab8b7/how-can-i-get-pdf-file-type-icon-back-in-windows-explorer-after-i-opend-the-file-in-notepad?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi all,

I have been hammered by several viruses. The result of the attack is that Windows Explorer now shows the file type for an exe file to be a file folder instead of an application. I assume there is something not right in the registry but I do not know where to start looking. Can anyone help? Thanks very much.

A:Windows Explorer Is Defaulting "file Folder" File Type For Registration

I'm not sure this is what you are talking about, but you can change the icon:
Tools -> Folder options -> File types
Mark the file and press "advanced".

*edit stupid mouse

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/118496/windows-explorer-is-defaulting-file-folder-file-type-for-registration/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi i have Adobe Reader 7.03 and im trying to type onto a PDF file for college applications, does anyone know how i can type directly onto the pdf and then print it out? thank you.

Relevancy 72.67%

One of the children got onto the computer and attempted to install a children's game. It failed, and my husband tried to fix things, only to somehow get all the files to appear as Windows Media Player types. Obviously, they now won't open and/or work properly! Can you help me at all?
I have tried to change the Default Settings, but I don't really understand the instructions, and I don't want to make our problem bigger.

Relevancy 72.67%

.7z, i download a file with this ext, what soft. do i need to open it?

thanks

A:what type of file is this?

Have a read here... http://www.7-zip.org/

buck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-type-of-file-is-this.201551/
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a Logo that was created for us, they saved it as a PNG type, when I try to save it as a JPEG or GIF it goes all Black? Even when I try to add it to my web page ( as a PNG)?

am I missing something here, or should I ask for a JPEG/Gif type?

Relevancy 72.67%

Hello. My first post - hope this is the right place.
Some time ago I changed my computer settings so that the file type (by which I mean .txt or .MP3 etc) always appears in the file name.
Now I want to switch off that feature and have forgotten how.
Can anyone remind me please.
Thanks

A:file type

Click My Computer.

Click on Tools > Folder Options > View.

Put a check mark on "Hide extensions for known file types".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-type.899000/
Relevancy 72.67%

i had a problem with my computer. i had downloaded a certain file a while ago and then after downloading, i just double clicked the file then afterwards all of the application files in my desktop was converted into winRAR image icon and then when i checked every properties of the application it appears like this..

i can't open my system restore also.. everytime i open it:

what should i do? i don't know much about computer.. i hope somebody can help me with my problem.. thank you

A:Please, I need HELP (EXE file type)

See if SFC can help -

START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe | select run as Administrator | type/ paste the following:

Code:
sfc /scannow
Upon completion re-boot to allow files in use to be repaired.

SFC general info - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

SFC & the CBS log - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/please-i-need-help-exe-file-type-474173.html
Relevancy 72.67%

what program do you use to create or read a .hcr file?

A:HCR file type?

Hello Pizzaman,

I hope this may be able to help some.

File Extension .HCR Details

Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/software/217311-hcr-file-type.html
Relevancy 72.67%

ok not sure if you can help or not but i have a "compressed" file i believe with the extension .zip. when i try to open it the four different zip programs i have tried says it is not a recognizable format. is there a program or a way to tell exactly what type of file it is?

Relevancy 72.67%

I have a music file that will not become associated with winamp. This means that to play the file I have to go to "Open With", and then select winamp. I have no idea what format the file is in, since the properties says File Type: File. Most of all i'd like to know how to associate this file with winamp- the checkbox for always use this program to open this file is un-clickable. I also have the problem that after I click open with, it takes a long time for the list to show up. I'm not sure why I have that problem, as most simple tasks on this computer do not take so long. Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Relevancy 72.67%

Is there a way to upload an html file to forums? If so, how do you do it please?

TIA

Relevancy 72.67%

A few years ago I purchased a program called quot The Jazz Pianist quot and EX$ BIN type File and at that time I had an early version of Windows I lost track of the file on changing computers and to XP but I find I have the two original floppy disks with this title on and I would dearly like to run it however most of the files have extensions MI or DK and significant file perhaps are INSTALL no file extension but properties show it is a BIN file and JAZZPIAN EX The instruction on the Floppies says quot Type Install from windows quot I have tried clicking on these but they obviously need something more I File type EX$ and BIN have also tried going to Command Line changing to the CD drive where I have burnt all the files see below and typing quot Install quot but this is not recognised Two other File type EX$ and BIN points I have tried to find the program again on the Net as I would buy it again if I could but I can t Also my floppydrive has packed up actually I get the eroor message quot insert disk in drive quot which seems to be a common error so using another computer I have copied all the files onto a CD I can t attach a file as the extension is not of the type permitted as an attachment Is there anyway I can get this program to run Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-type-ex-and-bin.755478/
Relevancy 72.67%

Is there anyway to remove the file type at the end of the name?

It looks like this

A:File type at the end of the name

Hi raboragaroo welcome to SevenForums

to hide file extensions:

File Extensions - Hide or Show

Open any folder,
press the Alt key, then click Tools>Options
click the view tab
check the box that says "hide extensions for known file types"
Done.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/151418-file-type-end-name.html
Relevancy 72.67%

have a compressed file with a .EX file type, i tried opening with winrar but it wouldn't work, i check the file's properties and found the following info:
Sfx-Factory! Self-Extractor

win32sfx.exe

1997,2000 e-merge GmbH

i'm guessing it's compressed using winACE or something, but winrar couln't open it, nor can the file exract itself either.

thanks for helping.

Relevancy 72.67%

Hi Guys, I Am Running Vista Ultimate Extreme Edition, Dell Optiplex 755 Intel Core 2 vPro, 4GB Mem, 750 GB HDD. This Is My Question, What Type Of File Is This & How Do I Convert It To A Usable Image File?? "add-.001" - "add-.030". There Are 30 Files. I HJ Joined These Files Into One Big File & Tried to Burn An ISO Image To A Disc Using IMGBURN But Just Got A Disc With A Picture Of That Same Blank Sheet Of Paper image File. Do You Know What The Name Of This File Is Called, What Program Opens It Or What Program I Need To View It?? They Have 14,649 KB Per File. Thank You For Your Help In Advance Guys.

A:What Type Of File Is This??

These files are part of an archive that have been split up. I use WinRar to extract the contents of split archives. Just right click the first file of the archive (.001) and select open with and select WinRar from the list of programs. When WinRar opens you then need to extract the contents to the location of your choice. Every archive I've ever extracted using this method has resulted in a BIN and ISO file that can be burned using Nero or other CD buring software. I'm not sure if Winzip will work but you can give it a shot.

Regards,
Rollin

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-type-of-file-is-this.873589/
Relevancy 72.67%

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this because I'm new but can someone tell me what a .rar file is and how to use it?

A:File Type

Arkyn1 said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this because I'm new but can someone tell me what a .rar file is and how to use it?Click to expand...

http://www.ofzenandcomputing.com/zanswers/226

have a look here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-type.565086/
Relevancy 72.67%

X_x I had no idea where to post this or how to find this on google. -_- I absolutely out of my mind hate how there is no .jpg or .txt at the end of my files. I think it's the most dumbest thing ever but w\eva, I just wanna know -- How can I tweak this so that it does show that? So that I can change the end of the filename so it changes the filetype? Thx.

A:File type

Open My Computer, click Tools -> Folder Options -> View, and untick "Hide extensions for known file types".

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/file-type-108234.html
Relevancy 72.67%

On my Garmin Nuvi 200W there is a Help file which when connected to my PC will not open (extension unknown).
Is there any software I can load that would allow me to open this file and hopefully print off?
Any help would be appreciated but keep it simple please for a simple man.
Regards.

A:GML type File

You could try creating a new file type.

To do this:

1. Launch Explorer.
2. Select Tools/Folder Options/File Types.
3. Click New.
4. Type the file extension into
"File Extension."
5. Click OK.
6. Click Advanced, then New.
7. Type open into the "Action" field.
8. Type in the path of the .EXE file (such as notepad) in
"Application used to perform action."
either by typing in a new path or
selecting Browse, locating and double
clicking the .EXE file.
9. Click 'Apply' >> 'OK'.

See if you can open the file.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gml-type-file.723939/
Relevancy 72.24%

If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated,I am taking A + Essentials and my instructor isn't explaining it,

A:How to switch file type name to contents using a batch file for notepad

If you are as it appears you are paying for a Course for a Comptia A+ certification and the teacher isn't doing the job why haven't you gone to the school and asked them to switch you to a course with a different instructor? Or Demand a refund?

When I got my A+ back in 2000 it wasn't that hard to pass. I believe it was two tests and I was over 95% on both with no training course. I was experienced in computers and doing things and They did have a sample test as I recall it.

And of course that old standby Google
http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=A+%2B+Essentials&btnK=Google+Search

I'm afraid I can't help you further as the tests have changed a lot over the years.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/441906/how-to-switch-file-type-name-to-contents-using-a-batch-file-for-notepad/
Relevancy 72.24%

More as an alternative to twiddling my thumbs than anything else I tried to produce a batch file that would count up the number and size of files in a folder as well as the number and size of files with each extension Hence it would say how many word documents I have and how much space they re taking up etc I ve managed to get a vaguely working model but the output Batch Type analysis: File Solved: File. Distribution formatting is terrible I just wanted it to say X bytes in Y quot Z quot Files none of that Solved: File Type Distribution analysis: Batch File. ugly dotted variable names and I have failed to get it to equate htm and html jpg and jpeg etc Code ECHO OFF REM THIS BATCH FILE ITTERATES THROUGH ALL THE SUBFOLDERS AND FILES IN A FOLDER IDEALLY A DRIVE REM IT TOTALS THE NUMBER OF FILES CONTAINED IN THAT FOLDER AND THE SIZE OF THOSE FILES REM IT ALSO TOTALS THE NUMBER AND SIZE OF FILES WITH EACH EXTENSION IT ENCOUNTERS REM ALL INFORMATION IS THEN PRINTED TO THE SCREEN AND FTYPEDST TXT IF EXIST FTypeDst txt ERASE FTypeDst txt ECHO gt FTypeDst txt ATTRIB A FTypeDst txt ECHO SCANNING FILE TREE FOR FILE EXTENSION DISTRIBUTION ECHO Please Wait Paitently SET A ALLNUMBER amp SET A ALLSIZE REM cycle through the current directory and subs Increment Allnumber Allsize define and increment Number of files size of files FOR R F in DO SET A ALLNUMBER SET A ALLSIZE ZF IF NOT DEFINED Number of XF files SET A Number of XF files IF NOT DEFINED Size of XF files SET A Size of XF files SET A Number of XF files SET A Size of XF files ZF REM END CYCLE ECHO Scan FINISHED ECHO ECHO ECHO FILE EXTENSION DISTRIBUTION REPORT FOR CD amp ECHO FILE TYPE DISTRIBUTION REPORT FOR CD gt gt FTypeDst txt ECHO amp Solved: File Type Distribution analysis: Batch File. ECHO gt gt FTypeDst txt ECHO amp ECHO gt gt FTypeDst txt ECHO ALLSIZE BYTES IN ALLNUMBER FILES amp ECHO ALLSIZE BYTES IN ALLNUMBER FILES gt gt FTypeDst txt ECHO amp ECHO gt gt FTypeDst txt SET Number of gt EXTTEMP tmp SET Size of gt gt EXTTEMP tmp REM Sort SET based on extension name SORT EXTTEMP tmp SORT EXTTEMP tmp gt gt FTypeDst txt ERASE EXTTEMP tmp ECHO amp ECHO gt gt FTypeDst txt PAUSE EOF Has anyone any ideas about what I should have done better nbsp

A:Solved: File Type Distribution analysis: Batch File.

Posted via Mobile Device
You would be better off using third party software that already does this. Plenty of them out there.
I personally would check the extension of each file using the cmd extensions of a for loop. then do an if statement for each file type you want to keep track of. then use a call statement to branch to a function that adds up the file sizes and number of files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-file-type-distribution-analysis-batch-file.856522/
Relevancy 71.81%

Offline files - Unable to make ..... Files of this type cannot be made available offline.
I am trying to figure out what to do. It is a word document for address labels. When we go to shut down the computer the sync comes on and then stops with this error message. What can I do to get this to stop coming up? Thanks.

A:Offline files - Unable to make files of this type

Start here; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252509

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/offline-files-unable-to-make-files-of-this-type.121179/
Relevancy 71.81%

Offline files - Unable to make ..... Files of this type cannot be made available offline.
I am trying to figure out what to do. It is a word document for address labels. When we go to shut down the computer the sync comes on and then stops with this error message. What can I do to get this to stop coming up? Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/offline-files-unable-to-make-files-of-this-type-etc-need-some-help-with-this.795645/
Relevancy 71.81%

at the end of all of my files they have the application thing on there, and it didn't use to be like that. for example, "RuneScape" is now seen as "RuneScape.exe". another example is "Darude - Sandstorm" is now seen as "Darude - Sandstorm.mp3"
how do i fix this?

A:application type at end of all files

TOOLS - OPTINS -VIEW - Check hide extension for known (NOt sure why u want it that way but...)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/application-type-at-end-of-all-files.317081/
Relevancy 71.81%

To play them and to join them together? I would like to also convert them to burn them onto a DVD if I can thanks.
screenshot - http:[email protected]/8533969427/in/photostream

A:What type of program do I need with these files

The photos are too small for me to see and recognize them.

It would help to know what type of files these are.  If you move the mouse point over the file it should show what type of file these are.

Failing that, you can simply tell us if these are photos, text, ect.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/487704/what-type-of-program-do-i-need-with-these-files/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello:

I hope someone can help me. I know how to download and creat new PDF files.............here is the problem. Some PDF files I get off the net are in a form format. My problem is I can't type in these spaces, I have to print it off and hand write it in there. Is their some way i can set something to let me type in a PDF file.

Thanks,

A:How to access and type into a PDF file

Adobe Acrobat, free download.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/index.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-access-and-type-into-a-pdf-file-208073.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hey guys,
I am using winfax to receive faxes and I want to send those fax copies to my colleagues via MS Outlook. The problem is that the winfax file extension is only meant for Winfax. I need to make the faxes viewable under MS Outlook as an attachment like jpg/bmp. Any ideas?

Cheers
Keet

------------------
I am here to stay!!

A:winfax pro 9.0 - file type

What's the file extension on the fax? You could make a screen capture of it. Open the fax and then hit the print screen key. Then open windows paint and click on edit--paste to paste the image into it. Then click file--save as and save it as a .jpeg. Then open that file into a photo editor such as Irfanview (which is free) and crop it to how you want it to look and then resave it. The only problem with that is you may have to make more than one screen capture to get an image of the entire fax if it's not all shown on screen when you hit the print screen key. You can however make two images and then paste the two together and resave them as one in virtually any photo editor. The reason I asked for the file extension is that maybe Irfanview can open it. If that's the case then you can resave it as a .jpeg in that program.

If you want a screen capture program that can scroll to capture the entire screen then use Snagit. It's the only one I know of that can scroll and capture the whole screen but it's not free.

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 01-15-2001).]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/winfax-pro-9-0-file-type.38403/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi There,

I have a client who has recieved an email attachment in the RPS file type format. She would like to view this document, but I can't seem to find anything online regarding how to open this type of file. Any help?

Tom

A:[SOLVED] RPS File type

It is not wise to open unknown file attachments, even when from known senders. It would be best to contact the sender to see what it is.

All I can find on the RPS file type is that it is a "3ds Max Render preset settings file". Of course it could be something completely different, malicious or otherwise.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-rps-file-type-630987.html
Relevancy 71.81%

On my USB stick, I had a folder with photos. As I was deleting them since I no longer need them, there were two files added into that folder that were surely not created by me (I'm guessing the system made it).

They had a file type I have never seen before in my life. JG file type (no it's not any form of jpeg file types).

I can't seem to delete this file for some reason. Could anyone help me?

Photo attached of what message I receive when I try to delete them:

PS:
I was also wondering what this file type is and what it's used for, just to cure my curiosity.

A:Why can't I delete this odd file type off of my USB?

See if your admin first go to properties, security, advance and put your pc name in the text field and then try. If that doesn't work then this should.
Go to safe mode and then the path and delete it

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/why-cant-i-delete-this-odd-file-type-off-of-my-usb-382124.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi

I work for local government. Our State's Attorney investigators have received files of "extracted phone records" they need for a case. The file extension is .urp.

I can't seem to find any reader for this, or any information on just what a .urp file is.

Does anyone here have any information?

thanks

A:Unknown File Type .urp

That's a Universal Report file.

http://www.omegacomputer.com/home.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unknown-file-type-urp.948881/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi.

I am cleaning an old vista laptop and came across a 150Mb file just titled "ok" ...I have "showing file extensions" on but no file type shows. I put it on my win 7 laptop with Open With tool...but that just fails and closes.

Trying to open with Notepad does nothing

How to ID it ?

A:Unknown File Type

Hello Fathom,

If it has no file extension yet, it was not given one when it was created. This often happens when the file in question that's being created or downloaded becomes corrupt. You will not be able to open this file.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/unknown-file-type-604580.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello...Very sorry if i put tthis in the wrong section.
ive been putting movies and tv shows on a usb to play on a tv. All the files are .mp4 and they play fine on pc using Windows media player or vlc. Only some will play on the tv the rest says unsorported file type.But its not.Please can you tell me what im doing wrong.

Relevancy 71.81%

Which file type is smaller when converting the same file: .3gp or .3g2?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/which-file-type-is-smaller-460179.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 0 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3546 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8240, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 450050 MB, Free - 402191 MB;
Motherboard: LENOVO, Kabini CRB
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I have just received an email with two attachments. Both are docx. I am very reluctant to try to find a program to open them, because the last time I tried it, I accidentally downloaded some malware, and got a real ear bashing from one of your advisors. could anyone point me to a safe download to open these, apparently new, attachments.

A:Solved: New file type

Those are later format Word files so they should open in your Office document program or a Word viewer.
see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891090/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-file-type.1144063/
Relevancy 71.81%

What the title says - see screen shots Be aware that is NOT just an issue with ZIP files - its an issue with the Choose default program option on EVERY file type I tried the Remove amp Restore Open With registry patches from here and rebooted - didn't fix I tried minimal Safe Boot - still exists to Open Can't for add type With any file I tried the Default Programs Editor - same error message - NB I've been using this for years long before this problem showed up Can't add to Open With for any file type I tried sfc scannow and System Restore back to a few days ago - no luck I'm not sure what broke it - I don't use the Choose default program very often so it could have been like this for a while as in a few months not more than six though Aside If you're wondering why I have Firefox in the Open With for zips I'm damned if I know why would I wanna do that I Can't add to Open With for any file type ask myself But I would have added Peazip as it's my secondary archiver pjd

A:Can't add to Open With for any file type

I did a restore from my oldest (Dec 14 2013) system backup (macrium) looks like the problem was there then. I installed a couple of new things on October, gut feeling says it was one of them that caused this problem.

The next thing I'm thinking of trying is an inline repair of windows

Does anyone think an inline repair will NOT fix this problem - I'm not confident, but that's a gut feeling too.

I might as well do a new windows install to freshly formatted drive rather wast time on an inline repair and then find I have to do a fresh install anyway - I've not done a fresh install since I got this box in mid 2009.

pjd

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/322465-cant-add-open-any-file-type.html
Relevancy 71.81%

(Specs: WinXP, 450 PIII, 512MB)
In file folders that contain a sizable number of image files, the icons take--what seems like--an unnecessarily long time to load. For example, if I have a folder containing roughly 100 JPGs at about 3-6 MB each. If I am viewing the folder via the Details View, it takes for ever for each of the Photoshop icons to load next to the adjoining JPGs. I do a lot of cataloging of files, so the Details view is the best choice for me.

Does this sound like a problem that a registry hack could fix--assign a generic icon file to all image types? I just don't know why it would take so long for the icons to load, and the process tends to hog memory. Could it be a Photoshop file-association problem? Never-the-less, the files open fine and there are no other problems.

Thanks for any thoughts / solutions.

A:file-type icons

Apparently Photoshop inserts a new function having to do with creating thumbnails of images that it is associated with. If you right click on a jpg or tif or similar and select Properties, you will see a tab called Photoshop Image. All you have to do is to uncheck the Generate Thumbnails box and this won't happen again for any of the filetypes that Photoshop is associate with.
Source

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-type-icons.214677/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi Guys,I have a bitmap image, and want to change to JPEG.
Did know,but memory escapes me.
Remember PAINT being mentioned.
Thanks for any tips.

Windows XP Home SP3.

A:Change File type Help.

Yes, MS Paint can do it. Open the file in MS Paint. Then click File > Save As. Under the file type, set it to JPEG and save the file with a name.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/236831/change-file-type-help/
Relevancy 71.81%

Not sure if this in in exactly the right place, Mods please feel free to relocate!

I have a simple question really, which doesn't appear to have a simple answer.

how does one go about opening a .PAT file?

All help greatly appreciated!

A:Help needed with file type.

Thread has been moved to Vista/Windows 7 Support.

================
You will need Adobe Photoshop or Corel to open that .PAT file.
PAT File Extension - Open .PAT files

See, if this Free Utility will be able to open up your file.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-needed-with-file-type-618412.html
Relevancy 71.81%

i have a compressed file with a .EX file type, i tried opening with winrar but it wouldn't work, i check the file's properties and found the following info
Sfx-Factory! Self-Extractor
win32sfx.exe
1997,2000 e-merge GmbH

i'm guessing it's compressed using winACE or something, but winrar couln't open it, nor can the file exract itself either.
i've attach an image, please take a look, thanks for helping.

A:.EX file type, what is this filetype?

Howdy coolaid...

Where did you get this file?

I'm thinking it may be a virus...

BTW...I can't read Japanese ...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ex-file-type-what-is-this-filetype.532670/
Relevancy 71.81%

I came across an old DVD with data on it. Most of the files have file extensions however two of them don't one is 600kb the other 300kb. Is there any way of figuring out what kind of files these are

A:How do I find out file type?

Not sure. Maybe see if Ubuntu (Live CD) recognizes file extensions for those.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-do-i-find-out-file-type-599622.html
Relevancy 71.81%

The inf file type was associated with notepad so I deleted it and when I edit the file type and click OK and try to edit it again it comes up blank. When I close folder options and reopen it INF is gone. Ideas?

A:cannot define INF file type

Sounds like you have effectively deleted the file type, IMO.

You can add it back by creating a "new" file type (.inf) and designating Notepad as the program that opens such files.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/256151/cannot-define-inf-file-type/
Relevancy 71.81%

Why do i get "How do you want to open this type of file" pop up even when I am browsing the internet, how do I stop it? Please instruct me in steps I am not a tech:)

A:why do i get how do you want to open this type of file pop u

It could easily be due to malware. Download and run these three small freebies in the order given. The often find and fix what your Anti-virus can miss:AdwCleaner:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/dow...(blue Download button near top - not anything else on the page).Download and "Save" the file somewhere. Go to the saved file then double click it to run the program. Use the "Scan" button, followed by the "Cleaning" button.Junkware Removal Tool (JRT)http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/dow...(blue Download button near top - not anything else on the page).Download and "Save" the file somewhere. Go to the saved file then double click it to run JRT. It might appear to have stopped at times or flash the screen but sit tight until it has finished.MalwareBytes:http://filehippo.com/download_malwa...(green Download button top right - not anything else on the page)Install and Run the program but before doing its Scan go to "Settings > Detection and Protection" and put a checkmark in "Scan for rootkits". Quarantine anything it finds. If any of them find anything please copy/paste the associated logs on here. Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/why-do-i-get-how-do-you-want-to-open-this-type-of-file-pop-u/2034.html
Relevancy 71.81%

[Windows 8.1 x64]

Hi

How do I change just the *name* of a file type - i.e. without changing the default program?

For example in Windows Explorer my Excel files are called "Microsoft Excel Worksheet". And my Word files are called "Microsoft Word Document".
However is I make the "Type" column in Windows Explorer narrow, then for both types of file all I can see is "Microsoft..."
[This is *profoundly* unhelpful - what arrogant vanity by Microsoft! Do they ever actually run usability trials on this stuff?]

So although I still want .XLSX files to open with Excel I want to change the name / description that appears in the Type column to just "Excel Worksheet" (or possibly "Excel Worksheet (Microsoft)" or similar)

Thanks

Relevancy 71.81%

Can someone tell me what types of files these are? They come up in my temp files but i can't delete them.
The etilqs files i'm talking about

A:Need help identifying file type

Files you could remove . Try renaming them and then delete them .

You could also upload them to www.virustotal.com and see what they are .

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/297817-need-help-identifying-file-type.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Is there a way of getting a URL put into a text file and changing the extension so it acts as a link to a web browser? If I recall, Internet Explorer used to store URLs in individual files, but I don't know if this is still the case. Can you help me?

A:Is there a type of file that contains a single URL?

It still works that way up to this day. Each favorite is in fact a separate file and those are just plain text files with the .url extension. When launching them on their own, they open the default browser with the address indicated within them.
Their content is trivial to understand:

Code:
[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://www.google.com
Just that suffices. They must be named with a .url extension for them to work, doable with notepad.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/384171-there-type-file-contains-single-url.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi.

I use windows XP for my system. But some times change type of my files.
I scaned system. No virus.

Do you can help me ? if run a program who recovery registery problems
in windows can solve this problem ?

for example my Excel file (omid.exl) change to omid.tmp .

A:Change File Type

.tmp is a temporary file extension. How does it change? Are you saying you save your file in My Documents or wherever, and a few hours later, you come back and its magically changed to .tmp?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/change-file-type-254916.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi guys hope i am ok ask this on here, but i have an x246 .MP4 video file type that i am trying to play on my xbox 360 from my laptop. is this possible to do, and if so how do i do it? if not then nowt i can do really lol.

I am using WMP 11 for the sharing facility and it works ok for sum other file types and the tv the 360 is being used on is only a standard deff TV. I do not have and x246 codec installed on laptop as i am not sure for the best to go for.

thanks
Mick

A:X246 File type

sorry guys i have been proper sackless on this one. i sorted it all i think, sharing service wasnt set up right.

thanks again.

Mick

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/x246-file-type.974303/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello, I am running an Athlon 3000 XP SP3 Windows based system as a basic family PC. I have had very little problems until I recently tried to download a Plug In for Windows Media Player from MGTEK. The download box appears on screen and tells me that the file type is a WebLab Viewer Pro Molecule and when I try to open it or install I am prompted for the program to install it with and nothing seems to work. I then downloaded the Windows Installer 3.1 from Microsoft but all that happens is that I am told that I am running a superior version of the installer already. Any ideas or solutions for me?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/msi-file-type-confusion.667583/
Relevancy 71.81%

In attempting to install windows xp, I received an instruction to type in a file path to the file asms. It is in th efolder 1386 on my winstallation disk, but I don't know ow to do the file path. the box where I am to type it says: D:\1386, I think. Can anyone help?

thanks,
Guy

A:how do i type a file path

Try opening Run and then type the file path you're saying a while ago.

Start > Run

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-type-a-file-path.413672/