Windows Support Forum

Solved: Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

Q: Solved: Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

I've read that i should install XP first. But I already have windows 7 installed and dont want to wipe that drive clean and reinstall.

Is this possilbe? To add a new sata hard drive and install xp 32bit to an existing PC running Win7 64 bit. With having a boot option at start up?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Solved: Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Solved: Dual boot XP with windows 7 on 2 Harddrives - (Windows 7 already installed)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-xp-with-windows-7-on-2-harddrives-windows-7-already-installed.902342/
Relevancy 88.15%

i have win 7 and it is working fine with lots of programs, paid and free and many without discs etc.
i expect to set up a dual boot ... win 7 and win 10
i have never created a dual boot before and i'm not a "techy"

#1 can the win 10 find what ever it needs and run the "installed" win 7 programs?

#2 should i just plod along with the win 10 and gradually download and install programs on win 10 while using win 7 for most of my work until i get most of the programs running in win 10?
i can't afford to buy a bunch more programs and i'm getting too old to just jump in and find and download/install a bunch of programs all at once

#3 how will auto updates of windows and other programs and drivers work with the dual boot setup?

thanks for your comments/advice

A:Solved: win 10 dual boot can win 10 find and run programs installed by win 7 "Windows

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-win-10-dual-boot-can-win-10-find-and-run-programs-installed-by-win-7-windows.1149945/
Relevancy 83.85%

Hey guys I am boot Windows Windows dual 8 Black up. 8 installed, Screen! boot won't having an issue when installing the consumer preview So I downloaded the W iso off of Microsoft's site I burned it to a Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! DVD with GB free of storage I even bought a new set of DVDs Anyways I downloaded the iso I downloaded the USB DVD download tool there I burned my iso to the DVD So I then create a partition on my computer I gave the new partition GB of storage I rebooted my computer pressed F and access the burned DVD So I click custom installation and I install the new OS onto the partition with GB I named it the partition Windows so I wouldn't get confused I clicked it and installed Windows onto it Anyways once it extracts the data and installs all Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! the Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! updates my computer screen goes black for a few seconds Then it load's the fish icon and then goes black It loads nothing and it just stays there I have tried using the startup repair and it cannot fix it I decided to reinstall the OS but format the partition and then install It does the same exact thing Anyways how do I get rid of the black screen Windows won't boot up I allowed a dual boot by the way so I still have windows but I really want to try Windows I followed this guide if anyone was wondering

A:Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen!

I'm having similar issues with Vista and W8. I put W8 on an empty and freshly created partition.
I can get W8 to run but then on every restart or reboot I can not get back to Vista from the "blue dual boot screen". I select Vista as the OS, the laptop goes to the Acer splash screen and then the screen goes black and the HDD light goes off completely. And that's it. Have to do a forced shutdown holding power button and then on next reboot it will go to Vista.
Fortunately I have full Acronis disk images so I can just revert back to before all this but like you I really want to try W8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/4556-windows-8-dual-boot-installed-windows-8-wont-boot-up-black-screen.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello All Windows Laptop Boot on 2003 Server in installed installation Dual already Windows 7 I have Windows Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards nbsp

A:Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop

Couple of things you can do after installing 2003.

Boot from the W7 dvd select repair my computer and do a startup repair, most of the time this fixes the bootloader for W7, but then 2003 may not boot now. So then you need to install a BCD editor software in W7 to get both of them booting properly.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

If startup repair does not get W7 booting again, there are some commands you can do from the W7 recovery environment to get the job done, (boot from the W7 cd, select repair my computer, then command prompt)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop.878387/
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello All I have Windows Dual installation Windows Boot already 7 installed 2003 in Windows Server Laptop on Ultimate -Bit Edition installed and working fine on the following laptop HP-Dv -Bit Core Duo GB RAM Nvidia Graphics Card It is the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop only operating system I have two partitions in the laptop harddisk Windows Ultimate is obviously installed on the first partition C I have D almost empty and I can shrink or expand it based on the requirements Now I want to install Windows SR SP Server on the same laptop in Dual Boot Configuration I have read that installing a Windows Xp family operating system on a machine after intallation of Windows Vista family operating system corrupts the boot sector and makes Windows unbootable since both have different operating system files I know i should have installed Windows first and then Windows to ensure a hassle free Windows dual boot system However I want now to save the hassle and do the other Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop way around Can anyone guide me with exact steps or to any other working guide which can ensure that both operating systems would live in harmony in the Windows 2003 Server installation in Dual Boot on already installed Windows 7 Laptop scenario i have described Maybe someone with a similar experience can share the precautions and consequences Thanks for reading and helping in advance Regards

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-2003-server-installation-in-dual-boot-on-already-installed-windows-7-laptop-432998.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I have a new laptop pre-installed with Windows 10 on a primary m.2 disk.
It also has an HDD that I divided into partitions.

Now I have an old laptop that has Windows 7 that holds programs and files that I left behind. I want those programs accessible in a Windows 7 environment. Therefore, I cloned my Windows 7 to a spare partition on my laptop's HDD. Right now, I have Windows 10 on primary SSD and cloned Windows 7 on a partition of secondary HDD.

However, the problem is that, while the disk cloning process went successfully, it's not bootable. So my question is: how do I make the disk with Windows 7 bootable?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/57645-dual-boot-setup-pre-installed-windows-10-cloned-windows-7dows.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I installed Windows 8 RP on my laptop on another partition but my Windows 7 in C:/ got lost. How do I install it again?

A:HELP! Installed Windows 8 (dual boot) but lost Windows 7 Basic

My dual boot works, Win7Ultimate64 on C and Win8Enterprise64 on D, I just hope you did a system image or back up before installation, not unless you are sure of what you are doing.. Before Win8 installs it will ask you the location where you will have it installed, if Win7 really got lost maybe you mixed up the installation.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8140-help-installed-windows-8-dual-boot-but-lost-windows-7-basic.html
Relevancy 82.99%

How do I do this? I tried following a tutorial in the tutorial section, but the option to delete volume in grayed out.

A:Remove Windows 10 from dual boot with Windows 7, Win10 installed first

It`s grayed out because it`s the Active partition and has the system files on it, if you were to delete it then Windows 7 would not boot anymore.

The Windows 7 partition must be made Active and the System files have to be written there before you can delete Windows 10.

The proper thing to do is backup your files, wipe out the entire drive and reinstall windows 7

Partition - Mark as Active

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/401647-remove-windows-10-dual-boot-windows-7-win10-installed-first.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi I have looked all over for info on what will happen if I try to install windows on a new partition for a lenovo laptop that already has windows installed and this does not seem to be a common scenario nbsp TLDR I want to install windows side by side with Windows that is already installed but what I read HERE nbsp made me worried that installing windows on a windows box was not going to on a has windows boot windows dual 7 Installing machine installed that 10 already be the same as installing windows on a windows box I was going to do it from windows by mounting an iso but I could also just do it from a usb boot whatever is Installing windows 7 dual boot on a machine that already has windows 10 installed the easiest nbsp Warning You must install the older operating system first and then install the more recent operating system If you don't for example if you install Windows Vista on a computer already running Windows you can render your system inoperable This can happen because earlier versions of Windows don't recognize the startup files used in more recent versions of Windows and can overwrite them Can anyone advise as to whether or not this is a true danger or if there is a way to get around the problem This is a work machine which is why I want to do this over the weekend because I can't afford to be offline during the week testing this kind of thing nbsp Thanks for the help Luke Reasons for doing this nbsp I am a developer and my new laptop came with Windows I tried in the beginning to get some of the pre-installed bloatware removed with mixed luck tried several different reset scenarios none of them quite did it I manually uninstalled what I could but the machine has never run well despite having reasonably good specs gen i SSD gigs of ram it doesn't run as well as the year old dell of similar specs that it replaced after dying It comes out of sleep slowly and gets bogged down by visual studio and a lot of my other tools I have gone through a lot of tweak guides and disabled unused settings and spent a fair amount of time on nbsp Long story short I have a feeling a fresh install of windows will run fine on this hardware and I really don't want or need any of the features of Windows which I don't hate it just doesn't have any benefits for me especially on my developer machine and I want to install windows to see if it works better nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f4e7dfe7-60c2-4e76-a362-efab9999a47b/installing-windows-7-dual-boot-on-a-machine-that-already-has-windows-10-installed?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 82.13%

can I dual boot windows vista on a pre-installed windows 8.1

Samsung notebook model: NP300E5C-A08SA

A:dual boot windows vista on a pre-installed windows 8.1

yes you can, as long as it is on it's own partition or disk

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/64551-dual-boot-windows-vista-pre-installed-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed on my SATA 1TB HDD. I also have an IDE 250GB HDD onto which I've installed Windows XP Professional 32-bit. Using DualBootPro,I was able to get Windows 7 to boot correctly, however XP now gives me the error:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I have Googled the heck out of this problem and tried a number of fixes that have not worked:

I tried replacing the hal.dll file with the one from the XP install disc.
I tried rebuilding the boot.ini file.
I tried adding Windows XP boot info to the windows 7 bootloader.

My bcdedit output in command prompt can be viewed on the Untitled-1.jpg attached.

I am fairly experienced in dealing with some of this stuff but I'm stumped. Please help!

A:Dual boot XP with windows 7 already installed

Hello, welcome!
It is unlikely you are really missing hal.dll. What is most likely happening is that XP is looking at the wrong place to boot from. You were on the right track rebuilding the boot.ini file, but perhaps you need to go farther. The fact that you are getting that message means nothing is wrong with the MBR.
What you need to do it manually edit your boot.ini file. Rembember that the drive/partition numbering starts at 0. I have attached a sample boot.ini file for you to look at. Your problem is probably the drive number.
boot.ini.txt

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/46424-dual-boot-xp-windows-7-already-installed.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi My installation was FAILED i have windows xp bit pre-installed in C drive I was trying to install DUAL BOOT xp with Windows in D drive NTFS using ISO image file of Windows bit ultimate present in my HHD i mounted the ISO file of windows with the help of Virtual drive The installation started normally but in the FINAL step Finalizing installation when system restarts to perform configuration etc but instead (pre 64 bit Windows 32 7 dual with boot Xp bit installed) of that i got message quot Failed to install windows and rolling back changes quot Important NOTE Using virtual dvd rom i mounted and install dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit Windows quot bit quot all right There was NO problem at all of dual booting windows xp bit and windows bit on the same hard disk on different drives so my question is Windows bit cant be dual boot with pre loaded Xp bit or tell me how to do it please i got gb ddr ram and i want to run bit dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit OS windows to utilize it maximum My system info Dell OptiPlex GX ghz gb ram ATI HD- mb Hard disk space on D Drive is GB

A:dual boot Windows 7 64 bit with (pre installed) Xp 32 bit

One of Brink's great tutorials to get your teeth into: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/175846-dual-boot-windows-7-64-bit-pre-installed-xp-32-bit.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEB C E Sony VPCEB C E updates Download updates for VPCEB C E It had Windows home premium x on it and installed xp W7 Windows first. with 7 dual boot Cannot but the hard drive went bust and I Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. lost everything I own a Windows professional x cd and license which I used as my laptop did not come with cds I would like to play some old games which do not run correctly in quot xp mode quot Anyway back on track a week ago I attempted to dual boot it using the excellent tutorial on this forum everything went fine it rebooted Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. and booted into xp x I have slipstreamed my SATA driver and net framework x everything was looking up I tried to install easybcd but it needed net framework my VAIO is capable of running xp because at the Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first. above link it gives me the correct SATA driver and a utility to create a cd with the correct drivers for my software at this point I had no internet so I shut down the laptop and ran easybcd from windows I ran easybcd v and foolowed the guide once done I moved a few files across to the windows xp partition drivers mainly I had not spare cds so I used total mounter to mount a virtual RW cd drive I then rebooted the computer and selected Windows XP from the boot menu and it complained about ntoskrnl exe being invalid I sorted this out and since then it has suffered from a BSOD B I have wiped the data on it and installed xp but it would move the files onto the disk and and reboot into the BSOD To get rid of this I had to change the boot drive in W from the system reserved partition to my main C drive i then deleted the system reserved partition and now it will boot into win and complete the installation of xp but once the laptop reboots after installation to boot xp for the first time I am met with a BSOD again B I am literally stuck I have searched and searched for answers to this problem I have tried many things but they all end in that BSOD after installation I know I have the correct driver because it worked the very first time I have tried burning a second copy of the xp installation but there is no difference If I select safe mode is BSOD's at acpitabl dat my research has told me that it is due to an incorrect driver which cannot be the case because it has worked before I have a feeling it is something to do with easybcd Is there an easy way to undo what it has done Since I ran easybcd xp BSOD's I have read about putting sata into IDE compatibility mode in the bios I cannot do that my current bios R Y does on give my the option to As I say this has been happening for a week i have searched using google and read many pages but not found a solution It would be great if someone could say quot run cmd and type 'boot xp damn you quot quot but that said it wasn't a recognised command how apt

A:Cannot dual boot xp and Windows 7 with W7 installed first.

Did you have a look at Option 2 here: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/265202-cannot-dual-boot-xp-windows-7-w7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I need to run a Carestream driver for RVG 6500, a dental imaging sensor, and install an intra-oral camera by Runyes. I am currently using Windows 8.1 that came pre-installed on my HP Ultrabook, and even though I like the operating system, it does not install the applications I mentioned above

I would really appreciate if someone could help me resolve this issue.

Things I have Already Tried in Vain
PC Settings>Updates and Recovery>Recovery>Advanced Startup>Advanced Settings>Enable Unsigned DriversOracle Virtual Machine: The wireless network adapter for the RVG 6500 system cannot be configured in the virtual machine as it fails to provide the appropriate network driversDual boot with Windows Vista: Fails to read the hard drive for installation and does not install on portable drive

A:Dual Boot on pre-installed windows 8

Look at this thread. It's short and I think it'll give you the info you need.

Dual Booting Windows 7 with Windows 8 Pre-Installed UEFI

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/35179-dual-boot-pre-installed-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I have and dual boot 1st How can installed) Windows 7 I have (8.1 8.1 already How can I have Windows 7 and 8.1 dual boot (8.1 1st installed) seen steps to do this on this forum when Windows is on the machine first but this does not fit my situation as I will soon convert my Windows to Windows because I don't want it to be OEM any more so I can transfer my whole system over to a new pc in the future via image backup I also have a full version of Windows Once I upgrade OEM Windows to Windows how can I used the full version of Windows to create a dual boot Is upgrading Windows to Windows likely to cause any problems According to the test program the only issue is Skyrim won't work any more And I saw online a Windows driver for my printer PS I would want both operating systems to be on their own separate partition FURTHER INFORMATION THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST I tried upgrading Windows OEM to Windows full version but it did not work so I reverted to my image backup to make my pc same as it was before So instead I am wanting a dual boot with Windows and Thanks for reading my post

A:How can I have Windows 7 and 8.1 dual boot (8.1 1st installed)

Hello and welcome winuserd have a look at this Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista it might give you an idea on what to do.
It is from the 8 forum's site (a sister site to this one) - might be an idea to join up to that as well I did and I upgraded my main laptop and the Sandy Bridge from 7 to 8 then 8.1 with just an upgrade disk (the 8.1 was a free download).

Having said that I have both the 8's running in 7 mode (look) using Classic Shell as I prefer the desktop look but they are certainly faster than my other 7 machines.

PS I forgot to say I cloned the 7 to new drives before I upgraded so that I can flip the old drive back in if things go south.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/323869-how-can-i-have-windows-7-8-1-dual-boot-8-1-1st-installed.html
Relevancy 81.27%

My situation is usually the opposite of what I've found online. I upgraded to Win 10 and I'm quite comfortable with it, the problem is that a critical application for my job does not work with this platform. As I have space, my preferred option is to dual boot with Win 10 and Win 8.1 on the system. Please guide me on how to go ahead with this endeavor.This is quite an urgent requirement so I'd appreciate help.

A:Dual boot Windows 10 and Win 8.1 with Win 10 installed

The M$ article:http://tinyurl.com/p79786jand another approach..http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how...If wishing to play or otherwise with win-10 I would be inclined to do on its own computer, or go the dual boot path.And... if dual booting... first ensure "all" data is safely duplicated/copied elsewhere - typically DVD, but an external hard drive (or NAS) too is nice(r) - just in-case...

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/dual-boot-windows-10-and-win-81-with-win-10-installed/144.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi All Recently I installed Windows Pro on my system in a SSD after a few weeks I noticed that the OS Windows later) Installed & 7 7 (With 8 Windows Dual Boot isn't compatible with certain programs I use so I wanted to install Windows Home Premium alongside it Since I don't really want to clean install after installing I installed onto a separate HDD within my case I've now got to the stage of the black background white Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later) text boot menu which shows Windows and Windows but whenever I select Windows it just reboots the PC back to the Boot Splash screen Bios Post screen I've repaired the install with Windows discs and with Windows discs and neither seemed to help I've used EasyBCD installed on Windows to create the boot menu and that doesn't help anything either When Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later) in Windows the Drive letters are such C is Windows W is Windows Short of clean installing I really don't know quite what to do Any suggestions Before it is asked that drives have been in that case since I built it and not moved from a seperate machine Thank you for your help

A:Dual Boot Windows 7 & 8 (With Windows 7 Installed later)

Welcome to EightForums.

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management from Windows 8?

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Eight Forums
For better help with problems, Can you post your specs.

Filling out System Specs - Windows 7 Forums

System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/14296-dual-boot-windows-7-8-windows-7-installed-later.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I have a brand new Dell XPS 8700 with windows 7 pro installed. I am trying to install windows XP pro to be able to dual boot. I have already succesfuly set up new partition and am having trouble with the XP install. After a little while into the installation I get the following message "file acpi.sys is corrupted" and the installation ends and windows 7 reboots. I have done research online and haven't been able to find a specific solution to this error message. I have been given several links to dual booting instructions and none of them include this specific error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Relevancy 80.41%

Hello I'm new here.

I had Windows 7 on my hard drive and I partitioned it using the partition tool built into windows. I installed Windows XP afterwards and now when I got to My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings (while I'm in Windows XP) under default operating system it only shows Windows XP.

After I partitioned the drive for 7GB I installed Windows XP on the new partitioned drive known as E drive, I still see C drive in my computer, and all the files and programs I had on Windows 7!!

How do I get back to Windows 7!!
Please please tell me I didn't installed over it!!

A:Dual-Boot: Windows only showing One OS Installed! HELP!

If you use the windows partition tool it deletes the hard drive... so I don't understand what happened here.

Assuming then that you used a partition tool that doesn't delete the hard drive then check your disc drive. Does it have a disc in it?

A third thing is this: you partitioned it but the drive you intended to install xp on was too small, so the installer by default selected the bigger one and you accidently installed xp over windows 7.

I really don't understand what you are saying. Those are three posibilities from what I get out of this post. please rewrite it so we can narrow down what happened.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/72349-dual-boot-windows-only-showing-one-os-installed-help.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hii I have some problem regarding Windows and XP dual boot I have first installed Windows in C Drive after that I made more partitions in the remaining space After which I installed Windows XP Pro in F Drive which was successfully installed making Windows Boot Option Obselete while booting I mean to say that when ever I start my system it starts with Windows XP as default without giving any option for Windows After which Issue:Windows First) 7 XP and 7 boot(Win installed dual I made several try to make my Window to Boot but not succeed I have tried The Boot ini file changed manually of F Drive i e of XP as st Try boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows quot noexecute optin fastdetect multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot noexecute optin fastdetect nd Try boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows Issue:Windows 7 and XP dual boot(Win 7 installed First) quot noexecute optin fastdetect multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot noexecute optin fastdetect With all these efforts I got the Screen with both options for Windows as well as for Windows XP while Boot but unable to Boot with Windows where as from here I can choose the Windows XP and start Please suggest Sumit Rastogi

A:Issue:Windows 7 and XP dual boot(Win 7 installed First)

Welcome to SF!

No problem at all. First, mark your Windows 7 partition as active.

Then, run a startup repair on Windows 7.

That will make the default boot entry 7's boot loader, and XP will be inaccessible. To fix that, add XP manually to 7's boot loader using EasyBCD 2.0. You will need to register with a free account in order to download.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/81270-issue-windows-7-xp-dual-boot-win-7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hello all new here my pc config is intel Dual XP dual boot no boot then but tried Solved: installed boot options Vista quad gb ram gb hd OS is XP Pro with SP Okay I heard people speek highly of Vista and no so highly so I decided to give it a shot and make my own decision XP was installed a few weeks ago and is on disk gig partition created another for E Vista Ultimate and have unallocated for now My other drive is just for games At first I used Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options the remaining for Vista the first time Everything loaded fine was online with Vista was updating drivers and then I rebooted Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options to finish the install for some drivers and the boot options never came up it booted right to XP I looked at the partitions and it shows Vista there so I looked in XP boot ini and it shows boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot fastdetect NoExecute OptIn I checked around and people said to add Vista to it so I did and added this boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot fastdetect NoExecute OptIn multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate quot fastdetect It gave the options to now choose one but when I choose Vista the screen goes blank no cursor or anything display is x someone had suggested that already If I choose XP it boots fine I then Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options decided to format the the partition with Vista cd and made a Gb and I now have a Gb unallocated for now as described above did the install again and samething loads fine everything looks pretty but as soon as it is rebooted it goes right to XP no boot choices If you check boot ini only shows one OS Vista is nowhere to be seen and once again if you add it to the boot ini going to My Computer props advanced and editing that way it does the samething when chosen boots to a blank screen I decided to go the msconfig route and checked the boot paths and it showed the one for Vista as invalid which is the path I have above I am clueless now and I don t wat to start from scratch meaing wipe everything clean and try doing Vista first and then XP I searched around the web and most of the issues I found was that XP would not boot after a dual boot attempt Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks and have a good one all nbsp

A:Solved: Dual boot XP installed then tried Vista but no boot dual boot options

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-xp-installed-then-tried-vista-but-no-boot-dual-boot-options.707518/
Relevancy 79.55%

I am writing this on another computer I can assure you that I have 7 Windows installed Dual-boot, computer on a with with XP Problem never found myself in this kind of frustration when it comes to computers I have a computer which has Windows installed on it I have some old games and applications I've always wanted to use but couldn't because of compatibility issues I decided to follow a tutorial here on this forum to install Windows XP using dual boot Now my computer has two internal Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7 drives An SSD of GB with Windows on it and a TB drive which I split into two Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7 partitions in order to be able to install Windows XP I have also supposedly slipstreamed the Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7 drivers into the installation All went fine in the setup until it had to restart It restarted and I was greeted by the Windows XP Pro loading screen I was proud of myself that I had managed to do it oh wait only seconds passed and this beast BSOD pops up Error code x B I tried to restart again and noticed I am stuck on Windows XP now something that has to do with the bootloader from what I've read I tried inserting the Windows OEM disk and performed a repair used the bootrec commands Kept saying no element found made the partition active using diskpart searched for COUNTLESS hours on the internet maybe something on some forum could be of some help nothing And finally MY WORST MISTAKE was deleting the partition I quot installed quot Windows XP on When I try to boot I'm now stuck with Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem Could not read from the selected boot disk Check boot path and disk hardware Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for addition information I tried using diskpart to change the drive letters back to the original ones nothing I think that this message I'm getting is coming from XP I need some REAL help with this How to get back to Windows Are my files safe Will using an adapter to connect the harddrive as a USB to another computer get me back my files I've done a backup but I forgot that some more up to date files are in my GB SSD drive I am in some real trouble and need some help ASAP I know how to format but I would like to keep that as a LAST resort Thanks

A:Problem with Dual-boot, installed XP on a computer with Windows 7

If you have separate hard drives then you should have unplugged the Win7 SSD to install XP on the other hard drive so this could not happen. Then boot your choice via the BIOS.

Now unplug all other drives and peripherals besides the Win7 SSD, confirm the 100mb System Reserved (if you have it) or the Win7 partition (if you don't) is Partition Marked Active,

Then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times until Win7 starts.

If you want to install XP, unplug all other drives except the drive you want it installed upon. Using the XP CD, I would delete its partition, create and full format new to make sure you have the XP partition table.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/374282-problem-dual-boot-installed-xp-computer-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I am using Windows 8.1. I have an Acer Aspire V5-571P computer with Windows 8.1 pre-installed. I want to install my licensed copy of Windows 7 Professional on it as a dual boot to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I have seen that it can be done, but I cannot figure out how to correctly do it. I have already had to re-install Windows 8.1 once from a USB Recovery drive which was not fun. So can someone help me out with this? I'd really like to learn how to do it and get it done. I love windows 7 Pro but I can't figure out how to do it.

I have already turned off secure boot in bios. However, UEFI mode is still active vs legacy bios which is the other mode I have.

A:Dual Boot Acer Aspire V5 with Windows 8.1 Pre-installed

You will need both Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8/8.1 installed in Legacy mode.

On some Acer, Gateway, P. Bell, Windows 7 x64 will not install in UEFI mode.

Windows 8 Desktops - How to Disable Secure Boot - YouTube

Enabling the boot device menu

Originally Posted by Acer

On most Acer systems, you can use the F12 key on boot to select the drive or network from which loading the operating system. In case the F12 option does not work, you may need to enable this function.

SOLUTION

Enabling the F12 function:

1.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
2.Press the right arrow key to select Main.
3.Use the arrow keys to navigate to F12 Boot Menu, and press ENTER.
4.Select Enabled, and press ENTER.
5.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.

How to Enable or Disable Secure Boot

Originally Posted by Acer

This article only applies to: Windows 8 Desktops

Bootable media from previous versions of Windows may not be recognized in Windows 8. You can change the Secure Boot setting and it should recognize the bootable device.

Use the following steps to change Secure Boot:

1.Completely shut down your computer.
2.Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press Delete to enter the BIOS.
3.Use the right arrow key to select Authentication.
4.With Secure Boot highlighted, press Enter and then the down arrow to select Disabled.
5.Use the right arrow key to select Boot Options.
6.With Launch CSM highlighted, press Enter and use the down arrow to select Always.
7.Press Enter.
8.Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44518-dual-boot-acer-aspire-v5-windows-8-1-pre-installed.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Dear Sirs, I have tried to install Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 12.04.5 on my Windows 10 (pre-installed) HP Envy 15AH. Even if I try to run the LiveCD, the LiveCD's hang, and the installed Ubuntu crashes or hangs. I have also tried a LIveCD of Fedora, and the same things happen. I have checked that Ubuntu should be suitable for UEFI installation, and I cannot see why even the LiveCDs hang. How can I get an good installation of (ideally 12.04.5) to work on the laptop? I contacted the company I bought the laptop from - having paid extra for support - and they said I should ask you! Many thanks for your help. Yours faithfully, 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-to-install-dual-boot-Windows-10-pre-installed-and-Ubuntu/td-p/5614511
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi

My pc info -

AMD Athlon(tm) 5150 APU with Radeon(tm) R3

Motherboard Gigabyte AM1M-S2H
Northbridge AMD K16 IMC rev. 00
Southbridge AMD Kabini FCH rev. 7.2
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 4 GBytes

Windows Version Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

DMI BIOS
vendor American Megatrends Inc.
version F2
date 06/20/2014

Hi

I have windows 7 installed on c drive.

I would like to dual boot with winxp.

I slipstreamed with AHCI driver.

When the windows xp installation menu loads to partition choosing page.

It shows my whole HDD as one partition.

The partition is like - Partition1 Unknown.

WinXP is not able to read the hard drive partition.

How can I fix this ?

Thanks and Regards

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/392657-dual-boot-windows-7-already-installed-win-xp-partition-unknown.html
Relevancy 77.83%

This is my dual boot windows XP pro with Vista installed first After I done everything and step into installing drivers for sound graphic network etc on installed keep on few after Windows newly disconnect minutes XP Boot) (Dual drivers. Windows XP that has just installed So I've search on Google for compatible drivers it says Realtek E Driver Windows XP (Dual Boot) keep disconnect after few minutes on newly installed drivers. is compatible for XP for my motherboard After the installation the driver name I saw was totally different it turns into Realtek PCIe FE Famiyl Controller With this newly installed driver I always get disconnect after few minutes And I need to restart the computer modem in order to get into internet and repeat the same thing it keeps disconnect after few minutes later But before the disconnections occur the internet is really really times slow than my normal And I able to connection to skype msn online games existing country only without disconnect till I close it Then I re-open the programs back it couldn't connect And another thing is while I playing those games I alt-tab and try to surf internet browser it says not found and I still able to go through internet and play games Am I using the wrong driver I'm following the driver that what supports my motherboard Motherboard model GCT-HM Compatible Drivers Realtek e Computer Retailer HP OS Installed on Motherboard Vista OS Installed on Motherboard Dual Boot Vista Original XP nd OS Reference OS XP Isn't I'm using the wrong driver or my computer has gone wrong I don't think so because it's just installed XP I've been tried drivers The first one I was trying Realtek RTL x and it also the same problem occur on my dual boot XP So I've uninstalled the previous one and install this Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller but still the same Nothing get fix Hope could solve my problems Thanks a million

A:Windows XP (Dual Boot) keep disconnect after few minutes on newly installed drivers.

What is the exact model number of the HP system?

Look on bottom label if laptop; label on back if desktop.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-xp-dual-boot-keep-disconnect-after-few-minutes-on-newly-installed-drivers-539947.html
Relevancy 77.4%

ello, i'm not a computer person so there's gonna be lots of info missing here
- i'm trying to put a harddrive with xp into a computer already with xp. both hdd's sata.
- following http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/469259-dual-boot-xp-xp-2.html i ended up installing gag on both hdd's but no matter which i boot from, gag would only recognize the old one.

thanks

A:dual boot with two working xp harddrives

Whats the BIOS in the machine?

Can you see both HDD's in the BIOS

Is the BIOS setup correctly for SATA drives?

Also have you checked the cables?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-with-two-working-xp-harddrives.934344/
Relevancy 76.54%

I installed a hard drive with Win98 installed on it from an older PC in my eMachines w2686, running WinXp. I would like to know how to choose which OS I want to boot. I am new to this kind of thing, so please be detailed and most of all, patient. Thanks for any help you can give me.

A:Dual Boot WinXP and Win98 on two harddrives

it won't work
try install win98 again with the hdd conected to the new sistem
Is better to install first win98 on the active partition (cand next install winxp on other partition
After that when boot you'll see a dialog for choosing between operating systems
You can edit the file boot.ini (located in c:\) to set up you default system to boot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-winxp-and-win98-on-two-harddrives.19561/
Relevancy 74.82%

I have two harddrives, the primary one 584 GB, the secondary one 1.36 TB. When booting, my computer takes about a minute or two to fully load, but if I start to actually use it, virtually all programs will move slowly, consume lots of memory, explorer windows will take forever to load, and even cause my video card to stutter a bit.

A while ago, I unplugged the secondary drive, and found that my computer booted up much faster, and was infinitely more stable soon after loading.

But with two harddrives, in order to maintain stability, I often wait up to 5 - 10 minutes after booting to the desktop, just to be safe.

Is this a normal symptom of having two huge harddrives, both of which are filled with about 500 GB each, and programs like Norton security suite and messenger programs all needing to boot up? Or is this a problem with the second harddrive?

A:Dual harddrives affecting computer boot speed/stability?

Does the secondary drive contain anything other than data?

For all we know, you have an antique processor and/or very little RAM, in which case anything is possible.

I would say it's not normal if you have a modern processor and at least 2 GB of RAM.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/232314-dual-harddrives-affecting-computer-boot-speed-stability.html
Relevancy 73.96%

help, i am needing to be able to make my own floppy for formatting a new maxtor harddrive and a new floppy boot disk for windows 98, mine is corrupted it seems, where can i go to make these bootdisks for myself?
Thanks, Kelly

A:boot for new maxtor harddrives and for windows 98

http://www.bootdisk.com

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-for-new-maxtor-harddrives-and-for-windows-98.41542/
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a Dell laptop that I just put a 40 gig hard drive in. I partitioned it 3gig, 17.5gig, 17.6gig. I had originally put Win 98SE on the 3 gig but decided to go with XP. I reformated the 3gig partition and installed XP on it. When it boots up it asks what operating system I want to open. If I click on Windows 98 it just comes up with C: drive (3 gig partition). So I went back in and reformated all the partitions and reinstalled XP and it's asking the same thing. Does anyone know how to get rid of this? Do I have to remove the partions and reformat then add the partitions back in then install XP? Thank you in advance for any help.
Rick

Relevancy 72.67%

Just today I decided to download the Windows consumer preview and setup my PC to dual boot with it I am running Windows home premium bit and the bit windows on my other partition After setting up a separate partition on my harddrive and loading windows to this partition I was all up and running I had no problems setting up or running windows the problem came when I booted back to windows for the first time When I booted into windows I was getting the quot unable to identify network quot error and no network connectivity First thing I tried was simply disable enabling my network adapter thinking it was just some hiccup No luck there Next I pulled the power from my router and let it completely reboot Still no luck I then shut down my pc and booted back into windows 8 with windows boot after setting dual network up 7 Solved: Windows issue and sure enough I am able to get internet connectivity when I am running windows This got me to thinking that when I loaded windows there may be some new drivers installed for my network card that are somehow causing issues when I load into windows again Not sure how this is possible I was under the understanding that when I loaded Win to the separate partition that it would keep all it s drivers and settings there and not effect anything when I was loaded back on windows This logic could be completely wrong I don t know So I rebooted and loaded back into windows went Solved: Windows 7 network issue after setting up dual boot with windows 8 into device manager and uninstalled both network adapters and drivers and rebooted into windows again so it could re-discover and setup the network cards with default windows drivers This did not work either and I am still getting the same error I am curious if anyone has any suggestions or any idea what may be going on to cause this If not I will likely remove the partition and windows from my machine since it seems pretty clear that it has to be the culprit for my issues Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Solved: Windows 7 network issue after setting up dual boot with windows 8

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-network-issue-after-setting-up-dual-boot-with-windows-8.1043641/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi guys I m 7 Dual Windows boot + XP Windows Solved: formatting starting with a working dual boot Vista x XP x configuration on different partitions but same HD I installed vista for directx features and general coolness but I wanted to keep an XP partition for maximum software compatibility Now noticing how my computer has slowed down a lot I Solved: Windows 7 + Windows XP Dual boot formatting was thinking about formatting and starting out clean for better gaming so I wanted to set it up to be Windows x XP x Now my question is if I use the windows x disc to format and then install on the vista partition will I still be prompted at boot time Solved: Windows 7 + Windows XP Dual boot formatting to choose between the OSs Back in time I installed Vista on the secondary partition by myself finding the drivers and everything but this would be my second time installing an OS so I m afraid something could go wrong I still want to keep XP for a while until I m convinced that windows is compatible with anything I would want to run I read it has got a quot virtual XP quot function that should be able to run anything that would run on XP so I may decide to format that partition later on Hmmmm while you re at it what drivers should I install Video card driver of course but what else I wouldn t want to forget something thanks for your help nbsp

Relevancy 70.95%

I've recently started dual booting vista and xp on separate partitions.

is there a way I can run software that I've installed on vista when using xp?
obviously I'd like to avoid installing each software twice- once on each OS.

I've googled it and searched the forums, but i only found answers regarding transferring data, and not installations.

perhaps a third party software you know of, or certain folders I can copy?

please help me, I've helped others! thanx

A:[SOLVED] transferring installed software between dual boot OS's

Unfortunately the software needs to be installed so thst it has the correct registry entries and .DLL's in the correct locations.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-transferring-installed-software-between-dual-boot-oss-411799.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi everyone I was experimenting with Elementary OS when it went a little wonky just became unresponsive and features had broken Couldn t really figure out the problem so I just decided to uninstall it I deleted the partitions that it had been installed on and tried to restart into Windows I got a screen much like the one in the attachment below I did some searching on my other computer and found out that GRUB is the bootloader for linux and replaces Windows bootloader when you install it I also found that to restore windows bootloader you re gonna need a windows Solved: boot dual Can't Deleted Linux boot - Recovery disk So I made a recovery disk using my Windows laptop Using a Flash Drive plugged it into my crippled computer booted from the USB followed the instructions that I had accumulated from multiple websites explaining what to do The specific instructions were to go to the command prompt within the recovery disk and type Code bootrec exe fixmbr I also had tried Code bootrec exe fixboot since another site had suggested trying that They both said that the operation was successful I was then told that I should be able to reboot into Solved: Deleted dual boot Linux - Can't boot windows Windows good as new Well I can t I m still getting the same GRUB rescue screen linked above So that s the problem Here s various bits that may be helpful Crippled PC - Windows Pro GB SSD - Solved: Deleted dual boot Linux - Can't boot windows Windows install NOTE When trying to reset it gave me the message saying that the drive with Windows installed was locked and that it needed unlocked in order to reset refresh it TB HD - Just extra storage for Windows TB HD - This is the drive that had the linux partitions about GB was for linux now just unallocated The rest is one partition that contains some backup information NOTE If it makes any difference this was an external HD that I ripped out of its enclosure as the SATA to USB converter card seemed to be going out Other notes The recovery disk was made on my Windows laptop that originally shipped with Windows not it s also just the Basic version not Pro The crippled PC was built with Windows Pro I personally built the crippled PC so there is no recovery partition within it If any other information is required please let me know and thank you for any help Also if this issue was already been presented and fixed please do link it to me I couldn t find any where using these commands didn t work nbsp

Relevancy 70.09%

Hello Friends,

i want to get some information about how to setup dual boot windows xp and windows 7..

i have a tried to install windows 7 on windows xp os but then i got windows 7 but my XP is not booting...

So Please give me perfect way or suggest me B'coz i was going rong...

Thanks in Advance..

A:[SOLVED] Dual Boot Windows XP &amp; Windows 7

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-dual-boot-windows-xp-and-amp-windows-7-a-618570.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hey guys!

Currently I have a dual boot with Vista (partition 1) and XP (partition 2).
I want to uninstall windows vista and install windows 7.

Anything I need to know before doing this?
Should I get the option to boot windows XP and windows 7 as soon as I install?
or do I need a program to update the boot manager or whatever its called?

A:[SOLVED] Want to dual boot windows 7 and XP

Hi -

Uninstall Vista on a multi-boot system --> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ltiboot-system

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-want-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-xp-488325.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I am trying to set up an AMD x based machine to dual boot WinXP and DOS I started by working under the assumption that WinXP being an NT-kernel system would behave similarly to Win in a dual-boot scenario I have dual-booted DOS with Win several times before Here s what I have done Partition FAT DOS installed C drive Partition NTFS WinXP installed E drive A second physical drive with a single FAT partition and no operating systems D drive I previously had Win and Win in the space occupied by Partition so I deleted both partitions and created a new NTFS partition in their place Then I installed WinXP Once XP was installed and set up I booted from DOS floppy transferred the DOS system with the quot sys quot command and reinstalled DOS The final step was hand editing my boot ini file This process has worked in the past when dual-booting Win and DOS Windows and XP [Solved] 6.22 Dual DOS Boot: Here s [Solved] Dual Boot: Windows XP and DOS 6.22 my problem both operating systems work individually that is when I give control of the computer to DOS via bootpart exe DOS boots normally Then when I give control back to the NTLDR via [Solved] Dual Boot: Windows XP and DOS 6.22 bootpart exe again XP also boots normally But if the NTLDR is in charge and I try to choose DOS from the menu it won t boot What am I missing - Kevin nbsp

Relevancy 69.23%

hi, as the title says im trying to dualboot 98SE with windows 7 (7100) I have my win7 partition NTFS 60gb, and the win98 FAT32 60gb. the 98 partition is already formated. but when i try to install, it just trys to install on the ntfs (98 setup tells me that I need to format my harddrive) and doesnt even look for the fat32. I can't reformat the windows 7 side, (because I dont have 5 hours)

Is there a VM that will support the physical partition so i can install from there, and boot from it out side of the vm?
or do I have to format the entire 120gb hdd, install 98 1st and than 7?
Drive C - Windows 7 60gb NTFS
Drive D - Windows 98 60gb FAT32

A:Solved: dual boot windows 98 and 7

You can't do a physical install using a virtual system. In a dual boot situation, the oldest operating system needs to be installed first. Though, honestly, I don't know if Windows 7's boot manager would recognize a Windows 98 install.

You could install VirtualPC or VirtualBox in Windows 7 and then install Windows 98 there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-windows-98-and-7.843523/
Relevancy 69.23%

I just finished building my new PC and installed Windows 7.I have an extra SATA HDD laying around from my old XP PC.I was hoping that I could just install the XP HDD in my new PC and dual boot.When I choose the XP HDD to boot first,I get the blue error screen.If I boot to Windows 7,I can see the XP HDD in My Computer and I can access all the files on the HDD.Should my idea work or do I need to do something else to get it to work?

A:[SOLVED] Windows 7 and XP dual boot 2 HDD's

There is no reason your idea shouldn't work. I have my desktop set up the same way with Windows 7 on 1 HDD and XP on another. When I boot I hit the F9 key and select the drive I want and it boots from there. I might suggest you try plugging your XP drive into another socket on the motherboard but that's just an on -the-fly idea. Have you tried to disconnect your Windows 7 drive and confirm that your XP drive sill boots by itself?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-windows-7-and-xp-dual-boot-2-hdds-421276.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Is it possible to dual boot Windows 7 RC with Windows XP Home SP2?

I have 1 hard disk drive with 2 partitions. I tried before installing Windows XP from the CD on my second partition, but got the error message:

The following file is missing or corrupt: C:\windows\system32\hal.dll (or something like that), and I had to re-install XP without formatting the hard drive over Windows 7 and install Windows 7 again from within XP.

It would be much easier for when the time comes to uninstall the RC.

Is there any way to do it???

A:[SOLVED] Windows 7 RC Dual Boot

It is very possible to dual boot with those 2.
Exactly how did you try to do it?
The line about "and I had to re-install XP without formatting the hard drive over Windows 7 and install Windows 7 again from within XP." is confusing to me.
Can you clarify that a bit?
We will be more than happy to help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-windows-7-rc-dual-boot-402534.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi Macboatmaster,

You mentioned that Windows 7 64 bit can install on GPT but I just tried and got a message that it had to be MBR. I'm trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit in a spare partition on my Windows 8 box and I'd be very happy if it would install on GPT. Am I missing something? I'd like to be able to dual boot 7 and 8.

Relevancy 69.23%

I have a question that I've been looking for answer to without much success. I've seen plenty of posts on how to configure dual boot adding windows 7 to and XP load. but in my case I had windows 7 installed first, then installed XP.
Now it seems my systems boots straight into XP without giving me an option. my boot.ini in XP doesn't see any other OS's.
Now I imagine its because W7 uses bcdedit, not boot.ini. So my question is, how can i configure my system to see that there are two OS's installed and give an options as to what OS to boot??

XP doesnt see bcdedit. its not a valid command. and since W7 uses bcdedit, not boot.ini, i guess I'm stuck here.

Relevancy 68.8%

I just installed a new Sony dvd recorder w/ lightscribe in my older (2001) Sony Vaio pc, now Windows XP won't boot. After Windows tries to boot, I end up w/ a black screen and a pointer. The key board connects momentarily and then disconnects. What to do besides trying reinstalling my old dvd drive?

A:Solved: Installed dvd recorder, Windows XP won't boot

Hello all,
It seems no one had an answer to my problem, but luckily, I found the solution. After several attempts to boot my system , I was finally able to get Windows to start from a previous setting. What I failed to mention in my thread is that I installed several other new items, one of which is a USB 2.0 hub. At the suggestion of a co-worker, I went to the device manager to check the devices I had installed, and lo and behold, the USB hub was not functioning properly! The manager told me to remove and re-install the hub to try to fix the problem, I did, and it worked! Apparently a device which is not making proper contact with the mother board can render the system useless. I'm a little surprised the system didn't isolate the problem and post an error message to let me know immediately. Well that's all, thanks for looking. Later

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-installed-dvd-recorder-windows-xp-wont-boot.625895/
Relevancy 68.37%

two hard drive setup, used originally as dual-boot windows - one on each hard drive....now i only have one drive bootable with Vista Ultimate...so, with the other drive, i still have the Windows directory that i want to remove...

the owner is "Trusted Installer"...i've taken ownership of the root (Windows) directory and given myself permissions - but they're not cascading down like i figured...the subfolders are listed as "Trusted Installer" as the owner still...

so, do i need to take ownership of all the subfolders first in order to remove the root directory, or is there an easier way?

Relevancy 68.37%

I had a dual boot setup of Windows XP and Windows 7. I removed Windows 7, then replaced the boot.ini file with the basic default text for just a Windows XP boot. However Windows 7 is still showing up as a choice when I boot up. In fact it's the default OS that attempts (and fails) to load if I don't use the up arrow to choose XP within a few seconds. Anyone have any ideas on how to rid Windows 7 from my boot menu?

note: I also renamed Boot.BAK to Boot2.BAK and renamed BOOTSECT.BAK to BOOTSEC2.BAK since I know they are Windows 7 related.

A:[SOLVED] Removing dual boot of XP, Windows 7

Try this . . Click on Start . . Run . . type msconfig . . click on the Boot Ini tab and click on Check all boot paths . . if it comes back with one is invalid, click Fix invalid boot paths

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-removing-dual-boot-of-xp-windows-7-a-455014.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi,

I've done this a few times with Vista which has always seen and respected my existing XP installation and properly created a dual boot.

Tried to do the same with Windows 7. Formatted my Vista partition which is where Win7 would be installed. Also used EasyBCD to remove the Vista bootloader and restore XP's mbr.

Put in the Win7 DVD and chose custom install. I pointed to the newly formatted Vista partition and clicked install. When everything was done, it booted up with no dual boot choices, but straight into Win7.

I can get into XP by going to the bios and selecting its drive as the boot drive (Win 7 is on another drive and the install changes the bios boot drive order).

Any way for me to get XP back into dual boot?

A:Solved: Windows 7 messed up my dual boot

hi try easybcd again

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-messed-up-my-dual-boot.825272/
Relevancy 68.37%

I have two operating systems on this computer. There is a screen at boot-up that allows me to choose which os i want to use. Right now it's set to show this screen for 30 seconds... how do i change that?

A:Solved: Windows XP/Dual Boot Menu

Click Start , Run and type msconfig and press enter. Click BOOT.INI and change the timeout setting to watever No of seconds you want

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-dual-boot-menu.500580/
Relevancy 68.37%

I have an electronic organizer that will only run up through Windows XP, and that will back up my contacts only up through Outlook 2002. I have been told that I need to dual-boot my Compaq Presario SR5710Y that came with Windows Vista pre-installed. I have already purchased Windows XP in preparation of this, and after successfully doing this, purchase Office XP (version 2002) for the same reason. I would like to find the best, most user friendly way to do this. Help!

Relevancy 68.37%

I have created dual boots before but in each case I did it the quot usual quot re-installing without Windows? boot Dual Solved: way by doing a fresh install of a second OS on a new drive or new partition and then letting the newest installation figure out how to arrange boot loaders or boot managers or whatever i e to figure out the dual boot parameters for me In this Solved: Dual boot without re-installing Windows? case I Solved: Dual boot without re-installing Windows? want to set up a dual boot using what is now separate drives each with its own complete install of Windows Of course I can boot to one or the other by disconnecting the drive for the one I don t want to start up but that is obviously a hassle Is there an easy way to set it up so that one of them Win pro actually recognizes the other and asks me which one I want at boot up I know if I re-install one of them I can do it but I want to just set up the dual boot and not touch either of the OS installations per se Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Dual boot without re-installing Windows?

Assuming that the (free) EasyBCD works with Windows 8.1 it should do the desired work for you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-without-re-installing-windows.1130666/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello, my name is Hunter, and I am in need of support.

I've been trying to get Windows XP and 7 to dual-boot, but my main issue is that every time I installed XP, Windows 7 boot would corrupt and I'd have to get to command prompt (which I don't have available on start up, had to use a recovery cd from Vista) and run bootrec.exe /FixMbr and /FixBoot to allow Windows 7 to boot up.

I then installed EasyBCD to fix the boot files, recognize Windows XP, and load them at start up. That worked fine, but upon running XP in total victory and happiness, I get the dreaded blue-screen of death. I've tried a number of things, none of which helped. (chkdsk, easybcd write MBR)

Exhausting all options, I seek help from the knowing people of this forum.

Thank you for your time,
Hunter

A:[SOLVED] Windows 7 and XP Dual Boot BSOD

Something to add is that I don't natively have a "safe mode" or anything like that, I'm not sure why. All is offered when I boot up is F2(Critical BIOS Settings) and F12 (choose what to boot first).

EasyBCD's boot-loader does allow me to run in safe mode on Windows 7 now, though. Just not XP. I do think it's possible that the XP install that I have is defective, but just to be sure, I'd like to know possible solutions/feedback.

Thanks again!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-windows-7-and-xp-dual-boot-bsod-523570.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Is it possible to dual boot using an external HD? Would like to try windows 7, but do not want to overwrite my OS.

A:Solved: Dual Boot to Windows 7 on external HD

An external hardrive is the same as an internal hardrive, the difference is one has a case and a usb connection.

The only thing you have to check is if your BIOS will allow you to boot from removable device. Most modern one's should allow it somewhere.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-boot-to-windows-7-on-external-hd.799810/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice, my girlfriend has recently got a new laptop and unfortunately she doesn't like it, despite me loving Windows 8.1.
She would like to try Windows 8 but is going back to Uni soon so would like Windows 7 as a back-up dual booted.

I've shrunk the partition and created a simple partition for Windows 7 but really unsure about Installing Windows 7 on a Windows 8 Laptop, it's an ASUS X550CA-XX417H. I've checked power shell with SecureBootUEFI and result is True.

What would be the best way to dual boot?

Cheers,
Ben

A:Dual Booting Windows 7 with pre-installed Windows 8 Laptop

As this a OEM manufacturer's PC with Pre-installed Windows 8?

1) Downgrade to Windows 7.
Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
Warning you must have the UEFI/BIOS firmware setting in Step Three set.

Make sure you read the NOTE at Step three.

2) If Using a USB Pen drive on a PC with a UEFI BIOS.
USB Pen drive need to be formatted to FAT32 as in
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
Take note of Step 11 for Windows 7.
Also you will need to use a USB 2.0 port, as there are no USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.

You will need to buy Windows 7.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/37995-dual-booting-windows-7-pre-installed-windows-8-laptop.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi guys.

Thanks for looking at this thread.

I have a few questions about dual booting windows 7 and windows 8 preinstalled (UEFI) on my Dell laptop.

1. Can I install a non-UEFI version of Windows 7 on my laptop, if so how?
2. Will installing a non-UEFI version of Windows 7 on my laptop break it?
3. Can I use EasyBCD for UEFI?
4. How do I create a UEFI windows 7?

Thank you

A:Dual Booting Windows 7 with Windows 8 Pre-Installed UEFI

Really no point in dual booting since they are essentially the same OS like 7 to Vista.

Choose one and stick with it, Windows 7 will be supported till 2017 (mainstream) and 2020 (security).

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/17213-dual-booting-windows-7-windows-8-pre-installed-uefi.html
Relevancy 67.94%

First off I am a tech for staples, and we had a computer come in that has windows 7 factory installed and at some point windows 8 was installed as a dual boot setup. The Compaq CQ5504F came in with loads of virues and addware, and to have the windows 8 install removed. All the virueses have been removed and works great, but when I go in to My Computer to format the win 8 partion it isn't there. So I reboot the PC and the try booting to the windows 8 option in there, but then to it it says the files are missing and to choose a different OS. The 1 partion is the whole the 500gb drive -the recovery drive. So then I need to Remove that boot option for 8, and I have no clue where to start.

A:[SOLVED] windows 7 installed, can't remove win 8 boot option

nvm didn't realize it was in the boot tab of smconfig lol. learn something new everyday.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-windows-7-installed-cant-remove-win-8-boot-option-701761.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I have got two separate hard drives one running win7 one running xp. I need to be able to chose which os to run but currently I can only do so by pressing F12. I have tried EasyBCD but it wont work - does anyone know how I can do this?
To clarify what I really want is a list of the two os to come up at startup so I can choose

Step by step instructions would be ideal!

A:How to dual boot Two separate harddrives, 2 separate operating systems

Hello Tbagz, welcome to Seven Forums!

Most prefer a BIOS managed dual-boot but if you prefer a Windows managed dual-boot, so you can get the correct advice, please post a snip of a maximized Windows 7 disk management so we can advise from there.

How to Upload and Post a Screenshot

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/249522-how-dual-boot-two-separate-harddrives-2-separate-operating-systems.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I have ASUS laptop which came with pre-installed Windows X When I try to install a second copy of Windows X I get the following message windows can not be installed to this disk The selected disk is of the GPT partition style I found suggestions at - How to quot Clean quot or quot Clean All quot a Disk with the Diskpart Command second copy X64 Windows 8 How DUAL install Solved: of BOOT- to http www sevenforums com tutorials -disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command html - ANOTHER TUTORIAL http www youtube com watch v DQf YqbD WI Before I use these suggestions I would like to know clean command of Diskpart will mark data on the HDD as being deleted How do I recover my Solved: DUAL BOOT- How to install second copy of Windows 8 X64 original Windows Does this command Solved: DUAL BOOT- How to install second copy of Windows 8 X64 change GPT partition style to something else I have HDD Disk - empty TB Disk - OS and recovery partition etc TB Can I use clean command on Disk which is empty Will mix and match work Can I have more than boot partition on GPT partition type I do not want to change Disk due to my service warranty conditions Hope someone can help me Thank you very much nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

I've installed two operating systems on separate hard drives Win XP, XP x64 on second hard drive. I had to reinstall Windows XP and now computer boots only to Windows XP. I lost the boot selection menu and cant boot to XP x64. I tried to add line to boot.ini file without any success. I also booted to repair console and tried to run bootcfg /scan command. It did not find the other windows installation. However when I boot to recovery console I have an option to select one of the two windows installations. Could some one help me out with setting up the dual boot if thats possible? I really dont want to reinstall the XP x64.

Thanks

A:[SOLVED] reinstalled windows, dual boot problem

Hi all,

I was able to solve the problem and now I got the boot selection menu up and running.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-reinstalled-windows-dual-boot-problem-564292.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I have attached the screen shot from Disk Manager which shows how I installed Windows on a machine that origianally ran Vista After I used Windows I have not used Vista for over a year so I moved Removing Windows From Vista dual 7 Solved: boot the Windows to the start of the HDD using Partition wizard and some instructions on the web I now want to delete all the vista files and stop the dual boot getting the PC to go straight in to Windows Grateful for any help - searching the web showed dual boot but with as the secondary OS and Solved: Removing Vista From Windows 7 dual boot not the primary Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Quad CPU Q GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - Solved: Removing Vista From Windows 7 dual boot MB E Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC P Q-PRO Antivirus Norton Internet Security Updated and Enabled Many thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Removing Vista From Windows 7 dual boot

Click the Start orb - type run into the search box - type msconfig in the run box - Boot tab - you can set the Windows 7 to be default and delete any other entries.

I don't know where the Vista is, but note that your Master Boot Record is in that partition Windows has labeled "E" in your first screen shot. If you are going to delete or format that partition you should make the Windows 7 partition be the 'System" one and use your installation DVD to repair the MBR.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-removing-vista-from-windows-7-dual-boot.1036060/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello, today I am trying to dual boot my Pre-Installed Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows 7. I have chosen "Shrink Volume" in Disk Management and I have created a new partition for Windows 7. Whenever I try to install windows 7 on the selected partition, I get the error that the hard disk is GPT type. I cannot convert it to MBR.
I open DISKPART
I write LISTDISK
I only see "Disk 0"
I write "select Disk 0"
Then I write "List Partition"
My hard drive has 7 partitions. My windows 7 partition is 5
I write "select partition 5"
Now, my question is, if I write clean, will it clean that specific partition or my entire hard drive?

A:Dual Booting Pre-installed Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

Originally Posted by armenh7

Whenever I try to install windows 7 on the selected partition, I get the error that the hard disk is GPT type.

Boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).

Quote from this post: UEFI Boot Mode (installing using the GPT partition style) and Legacy BIOS Boot Mode (installing using the MBR partition style). -> link

Tip
Error message when you boot from the Windows installation media in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. (see screenshot below)

That is because Windows can only be installed to MBR disk in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode, but you plan to install Windows on a GPT disk.

- Boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then delete all partitions on the disk.

Error message when you boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI Boot Mode:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. (see screenshot below)

That is because Windows can only be installed to GPT disk in UEFI Boot Mode, but you plan to install Windows on an MBR disk.

- Delete all partitions on the disk, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- But if you want to use MBR (Master Boot Record) partition table, then boot from the Windows installation media in Legacy BIOS Boot Mode.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/69236-dual-booting-pre-installed-windows-8-1-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I have been running a standard HDD with (windows boot system [SOLVED] in dual 7/XP) Accessing files Windows XP Home SP and GB DDR RAM I recently added an SSD on which I have installed Windows Home Premium the intention being to use the SSD Windows with installed programmes to speed up the system and to use the existing HDD to store data documents pictures videos and music where they already reside From the SSD I can access the old HDD but when I try to open My Documents I am told that I do not quot have permission to view this folder Click continue to permanently get access to this folder quot When I click continue I am told that I quot have been denied permission to access this folder To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab quot When I follow this through I eventually reach a page which tells me that it is unable to display the current owner What I am wondering is if I change the ownership of this folder will I still be [SOLVED] Accessing files in dual boot system (windows 7/XP) able to boot up the HDD using XP and access the files from that disc

A:[SOLVED] Accessing files in dual boot system (windows 7/XP)

Because you are trying to access folders from a different user account than the one which those folders belonged to Windows automatically denies access (even though you created that user account, Windows has no way of knowing that).

You need to "take ownership" of those folders by changing the security permissions.
Altering ownership permissions will in no way affect your ability to boot into that OS and access files on it.

Windows 7 Take Ownership & Grant Permissions to Access Files & Folder

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-accessing-files-in-dual-boot-system-windows-7-xp-614959.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I installed Windows 7 to a machine that had XP already installed. When I start the computer it just boots into XP. There is no boot manager giving me an option to boot to Win 7. I accessed repair from the Win 7 disk on start up and ran bootrec /fixboot and it said everything was cool but same issue. When I was installing Win 7 it ran thru the whole set up routine and restarted several times into Win 7. I shut it down when it said it was finished but the next morning it started up in XP. Would fixmbr help if fixboot didn't? Any suggestions?

A:installed win 7 dual boot with XP already installed, can't access Win

Confirm that the 100mb System Reserved (if you have it) or Win7 partition (if you don't) is Partition Marked Active,

then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times until Win7 starts and is marked System Active in Disk Mgmt.

Then install EasyBCD (click Download - no Name or Email required) to Win7 to add XP by name, allow it to autocomplete drive letter, Save and reboot to Dual Boot menu.

If any further problems, post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/365521-installed-win-7-dual-boot-xp-already-installed-cant-access-win.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello I think this is the right place to put this since it s the XP part of my computer not working Sorry if this is in the wrong place The problem the one on Windows XP Startup boot Dual Solved: Ubuntu setup) BSODs (New that isn t between the Keyboard and the Chair I have recently installed Ubuntu on my previously Windows only PC and now Windows XP will not load at all I turn on my PC wait for the GRUB bootloader details below to appear and select Windows The black windows loading screen comes up for about seconds and promptly BSODs details below Ubuntu still loads fine The computer OS - Windows XP MCE I think Ubuntu Linux Bootloader - GNU GRUB version beta I have multiple partitions for all of my different things One for XP on for Ubuntu and two for files BSOD A problem has been detected etc etc If this is the first time etc etc If this screen appears again follow these steps Disable Solved: Windows XP BSODs on Startup (New Ubuntu Dual boot setup) or uninstall any anti-virus disk defragmentation or backup utilities Check your hard drive configuration Solved: Windows XP BSODs on Startup (New Ubuntu Dual boot setup) and check for any updated drivers Run CHKDSK F to check for Solved: Windows XP BSODs on Startup (New Ubuntu Dual boot setup) hard drive corruption and then restart your computer Tech info STOP x x x B F AA xC x Click to expand Bootloader GNU GRUB version beta Ubuntu Linux - -generic Ubuntu Linux - -generic recovery mode Ubuntu Linux - -generic Ubuntu Linux - -generic recovery mode I don t know why I have different versions the -generic only loads into a Terminal for some reason Memory test memtest Memory test memtest serial console Windows NT XP loader on dev sda Click to expand What I ve tried Using the Windows install disk to run CHKDSK F - This didn t work because there was no screen like the one after step here http kb wisc edu helpdesk page php id so there was no way for me to access the recovery console There is an option to press F to run Automated System Recovery which appears before the bar at the bottom says it s loading all the relevant drivers etc However I can t do this because it says quot Please insert the disk labeled Windows Automated System Recovery Disk into the floppy drive Press any key when ready quot and I don t have such a disk or a floppy drive Unfortunately I can t think of anything else to try so that s why I m here Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-bsods-on-startup-new-ubuntu-dual-boot-setup.897759/
Relevancy 65.79%

I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the necessary drivers/software installed for the upgrade. However reinstalling 7 ruined my dual boot, I can no longer boot into the 10 tech preview... I was on build 10166, and I only have an ISO of 10162 which fails on startup repair... need suggestions on how to fix the bootloader to see both OS!

A:Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Originally Posted by Carsomyr

I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the necessary drivers/software installed for the upgrade. However reinstalling 7 ruined my dual boot, I can no longer boot into the 10 tech preview... I was on build 10166, and I only have an ISO of 10162 which fails on startup repair... need suggestions on how to fix the bootloader to see both OS!

This is a good MSDN topic:
Adding Boot Entries (Windows Drivers)

Read it and ask any questions, lots of members know this stuff and can help guide you if you need it.

Make sure you're reading the information on BCDedit - that's the tool for Win7 and higher.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/8155-reinstalling-windows-7-7-10-dual-boot-breaks-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello Everyone ,

i was wondering if anyone could help me in this matter :
i have windows7 and Redhat on my Laptop , i have removed and reinstalled the Windows7 last night and after that lost the Dual boot option , in fact the system is booting on windows7 and there is no option to chose linux ,

as far as i know , i should edit the msconfig file which i tried and couldn`t make it dual boot ,

Please check the attachment file ,

Thank you

A:dual boot , reinstall the windows and lost dual boot

Read this: Fixed Windows - But Now Grub is Gone?

Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/88580-dual-boot-reinstall-windows-lost-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I am trying to dual boot with 2 different hard drives and 2 different systems. One is Vista x64 and the other is Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. After installing the hard drive with Windows 7 which came from a different computer, I used EasyBCD to configure the boot order. Windows vista still works, but when I want to switch to Windows 7 I get:

FILE \windows\system32\winload.exe
info: windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

After some search I have found this old thread from this same forum. Here is the link: dual boot windows 7 and vista boot error winload.exe

The Op seems to have similar problem as me. I just don't get all the follow up instructions in the thread dealing with bootrec since I haven't encountered it before (I think...). Any thoughts?

A:Dual boot windows vista and windows 7 boot error winload.exe

The best way to Dual Boot OS's on separate HD's is to set the preferred OS HD as Primary HD and first HD to boot in BIOS setup, then when needed trigger the other using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key.

If this is not desireable, then set Win7 HD as Primary HD and first HD to boot in BIOS setup, install easyBCD to Win7 to add XP.

Before doing this delete any EasyBCD listing for the other HD you've already made in Edit OS Menu tab.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/355211-dual-boot-windows-vista-windows-7-boot-error-winload-exe.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey guys i installed windows and windows server in different partition I first installed windows and then installed windows server I dont know if that makes much of a difference However -----after installing - Dual boot Windows Server and pro loader 2008 7 boot Windows the server i could not see the windows in my boot loader so i had to turn the windows partition to active- to boot from windows seven -----It turned my server partition to logical and could not see the server os in boot loader So how would i add both of them in the boot loader so that i can select one of the two after i boot I Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader had to download acronis disk director to turn the logical drive to primary again So the question is how is it possible Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader to get both the boot OS in the boot loadter I don't want to do a dual boot through vhd just in case someone suggests me that screen shot of my disk Update i changed the windows server partion back Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader to active and tried to boot now it says bootmgr is missing

A:Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader

I don't know how marking Win7 Active to repair it so it would start would convert the Server partition to Logical. I've never heard of such a thing.

To add the missing OS, install EasyBCD to add it on the Add New Entry tab.

EasyBCD (free Download at bottom of page - no name or email required)

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/244854-dual-boot-windows-7-pro-windows-server-2008-boot-loader.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all I am having some problems I am hoping I may be able to get some advice on I have a new laptop that came with Windows Vista Model is Toshiba Satellite A -S I have been trying to load Windows Repair boot Vista boot dual and and Windows XP MBR loader it with Windows XP because Windows Vista kind of sucks for my computing needs I am pretty sure a format and clean install will wreck my warranty hence the dual boot So far I have been able to partition and install XP SP- to a partition I ve booted into XP fine but my Vista partition is not available I think that the partition table or MBR has been corrupted So to repair Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot this what I did was boot up from the Vista recovery DVD and run the startup repair option to reload the bootloader for Vista and thus enable dual booting When I rebooted I got a black screen saying Invalid Partition Table or something to this effect I tried repairing the MBR and so on and so forth from the console on the recovery DVD but this proved to be Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot pretty much totally fruitless So I went through and did an install of Windows XP once again to my other drive partition I had created So I am basically where I started I need to know if somebody knows how I can repair the drives MBR or partition table to make it readable under Windows to at least pull my important files off of or to boot into Any ideas would be enormously appreciated Attached I will include a visual of what s up with my hard drive situation Thank you Jacob Also I will cross-reference this to a couple of forums I have posted to with no results as they may have some information I have forgotten to include http www geekstogo com forum Hard-Disc-MBR-Problems-New-Vista-Downgrade-t html These are some instructions I came across which more or less explain how I went about doing the install http www howtogeek com forum topic howto-windows-xp-install-on-a-vista-computer nbsp

A:Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/repair-boot-loader-and-mbr-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-dual-boot.666827/
Relevancy 65.79%

Was trying to delete Linux from my dual boot and I accidentally the whole Windows 8 boot loader (again). But this time is worse.

I have Linux installed to get the boot loader back. Windows appears in the GRUB boot menu, but it is corrupted and will not boot. When I try to boot from it, it now goes to a "preparing automatic repairs" screen followed by an "attempting repairs" screen. I'm given an "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC." Then it takes me to the Windows 8 recovery options.

Before it got corrupted, I tried doing a system restore from the recovery options but had to force a shutdown because the restore got stuck and would not end even after 10 hours had passed. That was probably a bad idea.

What should I try next?

A:Borked my Windows/Linux dual boot, Windows won't boot anymore

if you have a windows 8 disk, you can try a startup repair.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/borked-my-windows-linux-dual-boot-windows-wont-boot-anymore-701798.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all,

I followed some instructions to remove the Windows 8 Dual Boot by just deleting the Windows 8 Partition and that there was no need to edit the boot menu as everything will be done automatically after restart.

Now, when I tried to reboot my computer, the computer hangs at the screen where you are suppose to select to boot up Windows 7 or Windows 8.

As I had deleted Windows 8 Already, it should not prompt me to select to boot Windows 8 but rather directly boot into Windows 7.

How should I proceed from here ? I am currently installing Fedora Dual Boot on my laptop so hopefully I am able to do some salvaging from there....

Thanks in advance !

Warmest Regards,
Zeke

A:Windows 7 Crashes at Boot Manager after Deleting Windows 8 Dual Boot

Take a windows 7 installation DVD/USB thumbdrive, boot from it, select "I want to repair my computer" and then do a "startup repair".

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/294576-windows-7-crashes-boot-manager-after-deleting-windows-8-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I have found guide for dual booting Windows 7 with XP or Vista already installed, but not the other way around.

I allocated some free space from my C drive for the XP install. I installed XP, but when I restarted my computer, I got this error, "A disk read error has occurred; press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart dual boot".

What am I doing wrong?

A:Dual booting XP with Windows 7 already installed

Alright, I'm going to try using EasyBCD. Hopefully that will work.

But please give me your input still.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/19010-dual-booting-xp-windows-7-already-installed.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi everyone. I have Windows 7 64-bit and I want to install Windows XP 32-bit for extra cross-compatibility. I know 32 bit apps can work in 64 bit but I also need my printers and other devices working.

I need help with a guide to dual-boot operating systems but I can't find a guide that includes Windows 7 as the first operating system. Could anybody help me by pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks,

-DarkPacMan77-

A:Dual Booting with Windows 7 Installed First?

Here is tutorial:Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
See option two

Edit: Method two...

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/23338-dual-booting-windows-7-installed-first.html
Relevancy 64.93%

hello i have some questions regarding dual booting windows home premium x with linux fedora on dual independantly dedicated drives i am a college student with moderate computer windows knowledge but am doing software development and would like to play around with some linux for a class i have no prior experience with linux and have minimal knowledge of operation i am currently running windows and would like to keep it as my primary os i do not wish to share media files across with and dual 7 drives linux windows boot fedora dual drives or os's windows does that just fine as is and i dont want to get into a third drive my windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives current drive is a tb wd black caviar hdd it is also currently rds full and the desktop is windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives about months old so i would rather not partition the drive for a dual boot i would think that there are some other advantages for the os's operating independantly off their own drives other than if one hdd dies i should windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives still have the other with its os still ok i have read some topics about RAID configs with dual boot setups with dual drives like this but am not very familiar with RAID is there a RAID config that would be beneficial in this situation i currently do not have a RAID card my tower internals are not very accessible and i dont like the idea of disconnecting drives depending on which os i want to operate so what would be the best way of going about this this is a near future project so i am looking for someone with some experience in this area hopefully thanks - garrett

A:windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives

Hi garrettchatt and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

Are you trying to ask something? There's nothing there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/142453-windows-7-linux-fedora-dual-boot-dual-drives.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I have installed dual boot OS in my desktop.
WD 1TB (500GB windows XP and 500GB windows 7) ALL 32 BIT.
I installed the windows XP first.
The Windows XP had installed on first partition and 2nd partition is Windows 7.

The XP boot in to windows without any problem.
But the windows 7 right after showing the logo, then no display.

Here are PC boot loader

earlier windows operation=XP
Windows 7

Did I did something wrong?

A:Windows XP and Windows 7 dual boot. Problem with Windows 7 start up

Did Windows 7 finish installing?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/185521-windows-xp-windows-7-dual-boot-problem-windows-7-start-up.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi,

I had Windows 7 installed on my PC and I wanted to install Windows 8 in dual boot, so I bought a SSD and installed it and then proceeded to install Windows 8 on the SSD.

Now when I restart the computer, it just boots into Windows 8 without loading the boot manager where I can choose the OS.

Instead, the only way to get into Windows 7 is for me to press F12 and choose the other hard drive. I have attached a screenshot of Disk Management. Windows 7 is installed on Disk 0 (C) and Windows 8 is installed on Disk 1 (G).

How can I get the Windows 8 boot manager to show up?

Thanks!

A:Windows 7/Windows 8 Dual Boot - No Boot Manager Loads

Hello akishore, welcome to Eight Forums!

To most people you have the desired boot set-up, a BIOS managed dual-boot but if you want a Windows managed dual-boot the easiest way to achieve that is to use the Windows 7 installation DVD to do 3 separate startup repairs, have a look at the tutorial at the link below for the procedure and be sure to post back with updates.

Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8805-windows-7-windows-8-dual-boot-no-boot-manager-loads.html
Relevancy 63.64%

okay, i got a computer as a gift that had windows 98 on it, so i wanted to put windows xp (home edition) on it. i installed it correctly and everything works fine, but when i turn it on it asks me to choose the operating system and i'm being given the same choice twice:

select your operating system:
1. Windows XP Home edition
2. Windows XP Home editionClick to expand...

how do i uninstall the other windows XP or disable this screen so i go through start up normally?

thanx in advance for any help

A:Windows XP appears to be installed twice (now I have a dual booting screen)

The hidden file C:\boot.ini contains the settings for bootup. You can remove the second entry from this, but BE CAREFUL and don't remove the one that works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-appears-to-be-installed-twice-now-i-have-a-dual-booting-screen.19289/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi everyone I m hoping someone can Update Vista! installed, into Windows boot can't now Windows I Automatic help me out Automatic Windows Update installed, now I can't boot into Windows Vista! with this situation I ve scoured the internet for answers but with no luck so far On I replaced some faulty memory in a laptop that I had not used for ages Due to the fact that I had not used the laptop in a while there were many windows updates that needed installing over Due to the system restarting rebooting to install these updates many system restore points were created Unfortunately after installing one automatic update I restarted but was then unable to boot back into Windows Due to installing uninstalling soooo many updates software a fully-functioning restore point that would have been available was no longer available Since then I have tried running startup repair numerous times with no success startup repair recognises that there is any error but does not what it is and also the repair your computer option with a Windows Vista recovery disk neither have repaired the problem Unfortunately I am unable to login to Windows in any shape or form safe mode won t boot either so I am unable to remove this update With Windows XP I know it is possible to view installed updates and uninstall updates via the command prompt in the recovery environment is this possible with Vista I can t seem to find exactly where the update files are stored in the Windows directory somewhere in C windows softwaredistribution and if yes can you view the dates the updates were installed and what command-line would you need to use to uninstall them Sorry for the long-windedness of the post I hope someone can help as I really want to avoid a re-installation of Windows seeing that it was a Windows Update that caused this problem in the first place Thanks Chris nbsp

A:Automatic Windows Update installed, now I can't boot into Windows Vista!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/automatic-windows-update-installed-now-i-cant-boot-into-windows-vista.1044172/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hey Bleeping Computer How is everyone tonight So I am working on Installed 7 WONT off BOOT LAPTOP disk windows 8 Windows a Samsung Laptop MOdel Number Series NP E C - A AUS My friend in my Math class Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk just bought it literally days ago from Best Buy and they Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk told her they would install Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk any software she needed when she paid for it but when she picked it up they wouldnt without charging her extra so they flat out lied to make a sale Anyways thats besides the point so it has Windows installed and she absolutely hates Windows So I told her I could install Windows for her and all the software she needs thats easy But here is my problem PROBLEM The Samsung Laptop WILL NOT boot from disk it will not boot from any disk I have tried Windows obviously but I have also tried Puppy Linux Parted Magic Mem Soft various other bootable disks that Bleeping Computer has given me over the years I have gone into BIOS and changed the boot priority to CD drive I have messed around with the BIOS trying to get it to boot from a disk and it wont Windows boots up so damn quick I can enter Bios by hitting F at the Samsung splash screen and I can enter BIOS but I can not find a boot menu like hitting F F F F other ones I have used in the past on other machines none of them seem to work I can not get it to boot from disk It looks like I can install windows from the desktop but if it will not boot from Disk then when it restarts during install I am worried about She Hates Windows She does not want Windows at all She doesnt want to take the Laptop back to best buy because she likes the actual laptop she just wants Windows installed I am new to Windows and this is the first time I have used it as well But the laptop Samsung will not boot any disk Do you guys have any advice for me on how to get it to boot from Disk I feel the problem is deeper than just Windows and even if I could install Windows from the Desktop in the future what if for some reason she needed it to Boot from Disk The Laptop is brand new And they didnt have the one she wanted with Windows she said they really talked her into getting windows and SHE HATES IT I dont blame her From what I have seen I am not impressed with Windows either Have you guys heard of not being able to boot from disk with Windows Or is it a Samsung problem My goal is to install windows for her like she asked But its hard without being able to boot from a CD using the CD drive I hope this is in the right forum if it is not I am trully sorry and I will move to the correct forum Thank You Windows is currently installed but we want Windows

A:Windows 8 Installed LAPTOP WONT BOOT off windows 7 disk

Hey just to let you guys know the BIOS is Phoenix SecureCore Tiano. There is a setting called Secure Boot (not sure what it does exactly) but I have not changed it, the only thing I have changed is the Boot Priority menu. If this Laptop wont boot from disk I am going to tell her to return it, and then in the future boycott samsung or any laptop maker that does not give you the option to boot from disk, This does make me angry with the future of computers I am hoping for an easy fix. My poor friend, she is totally computer illiterate(does not know how to install software at all) so I am trying to be a good friend and help her out!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/473915/windows-8-installed-laptop-wont-boot-off-windows-7-disk/
Relevancy 62.78%

I lost access to my windows 7 drive (Dual-boot windows 7 & Ubuntu). every time I try to run Windows 7 I get the message: Bootmgr is compressed, Press CTRL_ALT-DEL to restart. I could run Bootrec /fixmbr or diskpart or attrib to rebuild my mbr table through DOS command window using my windows 7 recovery CD. The problem I cannot access drive C: where my windows 7 are. I get the error message: Cannot open volume for direct access or system cannot find the drive path or specified. I still can access all my windows folders and files through home folder in Ubuntu. I don't want to reformat and reinstall windows. Is there is a way to run the DOS commands within Ubuntu or any other advice to how to fix this issue.

A:Lost access to Windows 7 Drive (Dual-Boot Windows 7 & Ubuntu)

Hi,

Please see whether the steps outline in this tutorial will be of help:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/249212-lost-access-windows-7-drive-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Now that we have the ability to clean install onto a pre-existing machine and then activate using the pre-existing key Created a GB partition for Booted from USB installer created today so latest version Installed into said GB partition install) Windows 10 Laptop. to a Adding dual-boot 7 Windows (clean with no reported errors Installer Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop. first reboot re-loaded the installer so removed and rebooted You'd think they would do something about this but I'm not holding Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop. my breath Also few walkthrus mention this fact Boots Windows original bootloader with no sign of the install so unable to continue on with the setup Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop. Booted into and I can see the installed partition with no drive letter obviously Assigned a drive letter and explorer shows Win files are present and what looks like a bootloader According to various sources a Win install will lay down its own bootloader and provide a dual-boot to the pre-existing o s in this case Win As a quick and dirty I used EasyBCD to create a third entry to inside the bootloader but it throws an error when trying to use that option something about not being able to verify the o s It should be noted this is an MBR arrangement a Dell machine with a separate GB OEM recovery partition containing the Win bootloader Any quot intelligent quot ideas much appreciated

A:Adding Windows 10 dual-boot (clean install) to a Windows 7 Laptop.

From an elevated ("Run as administrator") command prompt in Windows 7 try:

bcdboot e:\Windows

The path in red will be the path to the Windows 10 "Windows" folder.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/42824-adding-windows-10-dual-boot-clean-install-windows-7-laptop.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I Windows Dual Asus on boot S550CM Windows Sonic 8 7 & Master have a brand new no data Asus Sonic Master S CM laptop with a TB Dual boot Windows 7 & Windows 8 on Asus Sonic Master S550CM hd and GB Ram It came preinstalled with Windows The laptop is going to be used by a senior and Windows is just too complicated for her Originally I was planning on getting rid of Windows and installing Windows but I'm starting to think a dual boot might be the better idea I've spent several hours looking for info on drivers and whether it's feasible to dual boot but I'm not getting very satisfactory information Asus com doesn't seem to offer any information either So I'm posting my first thread to a forum - ever Dual boot Windows 7 & Windows 8 on Asus Sonic Master S550CM - if I've posted this in the wrong area my apologies The hd has two partitions OS C GB and Data D GB I'm thinking that I should shrink C to GB and rename it E and install Windows on E leaving Data D to be accessed from both Windows and Windows I have just enough tech skill to get myself in trouble on these complicated projects I have dual booted computers before Windows Windows Windows XP but not a laptop My questions are Has anyone successfully done this Are there other quot things quot I should do ie I read that I should turn off fast start-up I also read I should disable secure boot in the bios but the bios won't let me select secure boot to disable it Which Windows should I install the current O S is Windows -bit Will the touch screen still function in Windows Can I make Windows the quot default quot boot so she won't have to actually select it When If the time comes will I be able to easily take Windows off What am I missing or not thinking of Other suggestions Thanks for your help

A:Dual boot Windows 7 & Windows 8 on Asus Sonic Master S550CM

1) Downgrade to Windows 7.
Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
Warning you must have the UEFI/BIOS firmware setting in Step Three set.

Make sure you read the NOTE at Step three.

2) If Using a USB Pen drive on a PC with a UEFI BIOS.
USB Pen drive need to be formatted to FAT32 as in
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
Take note of Step 11 for Windows 7.
Also you will need to use a USB 2.0 port, as there are no USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/304072-dual-boot-windows-7-windows-8-asus-sonic-master-s550cm.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello,

I have a dual boot machine with Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008. I have Windows Defender version 1.1.1600.1 for WinServer and McAffee for Windows 7. Recently I have been having some trouble with McAffee. Will Windows Defender provide protection for both OS's or do I need to continue to troubleshoot the McAffee issue?

Thanks,
Scott

A:AntiVirus for Dual Boot System -Windows 7/Windows Server 2008

Windows Defender will only run when the OS it is installed on is running.
So, for you it will only run when you boot up Windows Server.

Windows Defender is not an Anti Virus program.
It is Anti Malware and intended to run alongside a real-time Anti Virus program.

You might consider un-installing McAffe and using a different A/V such as Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, etc...

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/255983-antivirus-dual-boot-system-windows-7-windows-server-2008-a.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Greetings I have installed Ubuntu Ubuntu animation Windows dual-boot, 7 7 Windows problems logo LTS -bit alongside Windows Professional -bit OS in dual-boot configuration with GRUB beta Both OSs are up to date however occasionally I do not get the animated Windows logo in the Windows boot-up and a distorted screen is displayed instead until I am presented with the Ubuntu Windows 7 dual-boot, Windows 7 logo animation problems login screen This Ubuntu Windows 7 dual-boot, Windows 7 logo animation problems issue was non-existent before my Ubuntu installation and I am not able to fix it I should also note that the Windows boots up but this artefact is really annoying I already posted this on askubuntu com but received no reply for screen-shots you may wish to check it After Ubuntu installation Windows experiences boot-up issues - Ask Ubuntu So far I have tried a command on the Windows console but it did not resolve the issue By the way I experience this problem occasionally and in these cases mostly the laptop is running on battery power My laptop brand and model is Dell Latitude E respectively Any help and or suggestion is greatly appreciated

A:Ubuntu Windows 7 dual-boot, Windows 7 logo animation problems

The link below might be a good starting point,

linux - Problem setting command-line console resolution. vbeinfo in grub2 does not report all resolutions - Super User

Good luck

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/377751-ubuntu-windows-7-dual-boot-windows-7-logo-animation-problems.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi

If everything goes well I'll be building my first gaming desktop later this year.
One of the scenarios I'm considering is having 4 hard disks and two OSs,
a1, a2, b1, b2
the a disks would be 128 SSDs each with its copy of Win7,
the b disks would be 1 TB HDDs with data.

I want a1 (when I boot with it) to recognize only b1, the same with a2/b2.
In sum, I want one of the data disks not to be seen/accessed by the "other" OS.

Is this possible, and if yes how?

Regards

A:Windows 7 dual boot dual disks

Just remove the unwanted drive letters in Disk Mgmt and it will not be seen in Explorer.
During install of each OS, unplug all other drives. Set preferred OS to boot first in BIOS setup, then trigger the other OS SSD using BIOS Boot Menu shortcut key.
If this isn't to your liking install EasyBCD to add the secondary OS to a Windows Boot Menu. This way the drives will still be independently bootable to come and go as you please. They would not if you leave the other one plugged in during install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/334748-windows-7-dual-boot-dual-disks.html
Relevancy 62.78%

First I would like to start off saying that I have skimmed Reuel s website and printed the pages for reading I have downloaded Reuel s Boot Disk - {Advice Offered} Windows dual 98 & Windows 2000 boot have a Windows startup disk several actually and have backed up all data to zip disks I am currently running Windows and would like to install Windows for dual boot situation Reuel {Advice Offered} - dual boot Windows 98 & Windows 2000 s instructions seem very complete but I just want to be very careful to do everything correctly I have drives Drive GB Drive GB {Advice Offered} - dual boot Windows 98 & Windows 2000 Neither are partitioned at this moment Would it be wise to partition Drive into two GB partitions one NTFS and one FAT or some other combination I would like to keep Windows on drive though I will be formatting and installing from scratch unless someone advises against it I guess what I m looking for are suggestions I don t want step by step procedures for completing this task - just something to get my mind on its way Any help appreciated Thanks I m sorry I just realized this probably should have been posted under Operating Systems Oops Feel free to move this post if you like This message has been edited by angel edited - - nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

Hello,

I have 2 Windowses on my PC and I would like to play games that I have installed on W7 on W8 but there is a problem. Some games dont worked because of d3dx9 dll's and I solved it with installing DirectX , some games missed VC++/.Net. But now there are some games that still dont work. Like League of Legends didn't worked when i run it from W7 partition but when i copied it to W8 partition it worked. I don't want to do this with every game I have. Is there any solution to make them work?

Sorry for my english.

Thanks in advance.

A:Dual/Multi Boot games form Windows 7 on Windows 8

As a general recommendation you shouldnt try to run most programs that are installed on another Windows OS'es partition. some softwares need certain files, dependencies, Registry entries, etc, and if those are in your other 7 OS, then your 8 install wont be able to find everything, which may bring about errors.

The best thing you can do is either play them on 7 or uninstall them in 7 and then reinstall them in 8.

I also had the same issue when trying to run some other Windows games via WINE in Ubuntu Linux. same basic principle applies.

http://www.eightforums.com/gaming/14455-dual-multi-boot-games-form-windows-7-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi guys,

Am new to using computers. Can someone help me step by step process of how to install windows server 2003 r2 and windows 7 home premium 64 bit as a dual boot on my dell xps laptop.

thank you very much in advance..

A:dual boot of windows server 2003 r2 and windows 7 on dell xps

Should be the same as to Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

Install 2003 first. You'll know right away if it can see the HD or if it needs the SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD.

Once it's installed boot WIn7 installer to create the second partition you should leave space for during previous install. It will configure the Dual Boot menu, or else install EasyBCD to 7 to add 2003.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/289291-dual-boot-windows-server-2003-r2-windows-7-dell-xps.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have disk with 3 partitions, XP (C) is primary, Win 7 (D) is Logical and (E) is Logical and a data drive. I used a dual boot program to choose which OS to use at start up. I did this to preserve XP apps in case they wouldn't work on Win 7. Now I want to delete XP and have Win 7 as the primary partition (C) and data as Drive D. I cannot change the current Win 7 D drive to a primary partition or change the current C to a logical partition.
I tried using EasUS Partition and it won't let me do what I want. I hope someone can understand what I am trying to do and help me out. Thank you

A:Dual Boot Windows XP(Primary) and Windows 7 (Logical Partition)

I would do a complete reinstall. Get your data off ( backed up ) wipe everything, make 2 partitions and install 7. All your partitions should be primary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/261956-dual-boot-windows-xp-primary-windows-7-logical-partition.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi guys Is it feasible to create a VHD install Windows and then use RAMDisk to Install 7 Windows in use dual-boot and question with Windows VHD etc RAMDisk 8.1 a in add more speed Install Windows 8.1 in VHD in a dual-boot with Windows 7 and use RAMDisk question etc to the VHD usage This idea just got into my head the other day as I planned to install Windows in a partition on my hard drive Dual boot arrangement with Windows x partitions Got some issues with the install as I found out that Windows does not boot as fast as my old Windows When I compare the laptop with pre-installed Windows the boot speed difference is glaring though the laptop is not in a dual-boot arrangement I understand that Windows does not really shutdown but hibernates itself for more faster boot the next time yo boot it up correct Now I find that in a dual-boot it aint so Windows boot s very slow in this desktop same desktop where I test the Bitdefender AV and IS trials Now to get back to my question is it feasible I mean to Create a VHD in Windows gt Install Windows gt and then use RAMDisk to speed things up What may be the benefits of using an VHD dualboot arrangement with Windows versus the live partition install usage I have GiliSoftRAMDisk lying around here and have no experience using it Now earlier I was searching the web and checking out ways to install and use Windows on this desktop but also seeking ways to make it worth the while by improving on what I have experienced when I installed on a live partition I read that the use of RAMDisks helps in speeding up some power hungry programs like Photoshop etc correct How about speeding up an OS performance Anybody done this kind of thing I Google-d some earlier and I see that some people are doing it with Windows Tech Preview Now another question that I d like to ask is Assuming I have had success installing in a VHD arrangement for dual-boot with Windows can I install programs like AutoCAD and some ram hogging programs like Adobe Photoshop CS or some video editing software like Cyberlink Power Director Ultra on it Is that feasible also or well crazy Well that is the reason why I d like to use GilisoftRAMDisk with it quot if quot performance will be affected Well I have never used a VHD before All fo my trials were done on live partitions from image backups and when I am done I just recover the prior image I did and move-on The purpose is also to make the late transition to Windows from Windows and then if things will go okay move on early to Windows I will grab the free upgrade I just do not want to jump to Windows and later suffer the consequences of not being able to use my programs such as AutoCAD etc efficiently ---that will kill me and may downgrade back to Windows and forget it Well I am good with Windows with all the programs I am using now but I can t stay forever with it now that Windows is out there So help me guys gurus I may post a different thread on installing on a different scenario live partition dual-boot arrangement and not in VHD with GilisoftRAMDisk usage but this will come first Lastly what about imaging that arrangement -- Create a VHD in Windows gt Install Windows gt and then use RAMDisk to speed things up I use Acronis True Image with Plus Pack now and would like to ask if there are any issues that I should take into consideration Will imaging be fine Will it image the whole disk including the VHD arrangement If I recover that image backup will I be able to use the arrangement again How about the RAMDisk Will I set it up again when I recover from an image backup I read somewhere that when you reboot all the contents of the RAMDisk are erased if not saved si that correct Sorry for the gazillion questions there but I am eager to know what can be done or what will I be experiencing as I plan and if feasible go on and try doing it So do please add some comments and share some insights here Thanks nbsp

A:Install Windows 8.1 in VHD in a dual-boot with Windows 7 and use RAMDisk question etc

Hmmm...

Anyway just to update here. I was not able to pursue this endeavor and went straight to installing Windows 8.1 Pro on a separate hard drive. I did not have any of the boot issues as that I have mentioned before when I installed with an existing Windows partition. I booted fine and acceptable a minute or less. Did observed some long boots but that was when after installing programs that required a reboot. So the desktop s now with Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 sp1. Still have not installed AutoCAD 2013 and Minitab 15 on it as I am awaiting the response of our IT as to the licensing etc so I have not used those programs yet in Windows 8.1 Pro.

Also discovered that there are issues with Acronis True Image 2012 in Windows 8.1 during the install. So did not install that and used the YUMI built usb whenever I wanna recover. Have not tried Macrium Reflect though. But in any case whenever I wanna recover or create a backup system image I'd just plug-in the YUMI created usb drive and fire-up Acronis WinPE or Macrium WinPE from there.

Now the use of GiliSoftRAMDisk I have abandoned as of the moment as I can't understand really how to use it. Have read some information and posts from blog that it may help but on more occasions it is unneeded.

So I guess the questions that I posted here for the VHD may be shelved now and I will post another thread about this if and ever I started it.
For the veteran users of Windows 8/8/1 I have more questions to ask but I will start another thread for maybe next week when I am able to install AutoCAD 2013 and a lot of the programs that I use for work.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/install-windows-8-1-in-vhd-in-a-dual-boot-with-windows-7-and-use-ramdisk-question-etc.49030/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello Windows 8 members.

I'm Trinty from Windows 7 forums (maybe someone knows me).

I installed Windows 8 on VM but I want to install it on my current machine,
dual-boot with Windows 7.

Windows 7 is already installed and there is one problem. I don't have Install CD and Repair CD.
My questions :

1. When I install Win 8 do I need Install CD or Repair CD for Windows 7 (for ex. to repair Bootmgr) ?
2. Can I install Windows 8 from HDD (without using flash drive or DVD) ?
- If answer is yes : How ?
- If answer is no : Can I use Flash Drive 4GB ?

That is all for now.

Please answer soon.
Thanks in advace.
Baltic Trinty (w7 Trinty)

A:Installing Windows 8 with Windows 7 Dual Boot from Flash Drive

Hello Baltic, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You can install Windows 8 with the ISO, DVD, or USB. The tutorial below can help show you how to install Windows 8 to dual boot with Windows 7 using either installation media.

Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/6339-installing-windows-8-windows-7-dual-boot-flash-drive.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello again to all. Can anyone please explain because this a little bit confuses me, CREATING a SYSTEM IMAGE, now that I have a DUAL BOOT win7-win8 OS.

>>I want to know if I CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE via windows 7 (my default OS), and then later, if ever I RESTORE THIS CREATED SYSTEM IMAGE, will the setup on WINDOWS 8 & WINDOWS 7, still be the same working on DUAL BOOT?

>>OR IS IT THAT I HAVE TO CREATE THE SYSTEM IMAGE via windows 8?

thanks again for any info.

A:Windows 8: Create a System Image on a Dual Boot OS Windows 7

when you create a system image of your computer, yes it will recreate everything it sees on your computer, including multiple OS's and of course the boot loader to let you choose which OS to run.

Please follow the instructions carefully of your imaging software.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/12214-windows-8-create-system-image-dual-boot-os-windows-7-a.html