Windows Support Forum

changed owner name in regedit & User Accounts, but files are still at C:\Users\Owner

Q: changed owner name in regedit & User Accounts, but files are still at C:\Users\Owner

This picture shows how my name has been changed in User Accounts and in regedit, as displayed by running winver, but yet all my files are still found at C:\Users\Owner.
When I go to C:\Users, the Owner folder is locked and cannot be renamed even though my account type is administrator, as seen here.
How do I really change the name from Owner to a name of my choosing?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changed-owner-name-in-regedit-user-accounts-but-files-are-still-at-c-users-owner.1064404/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: changed owner name in regedit & User Accounts, but files are still at C:\Users\Owner

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 85.56%

Have just migrated sic quot down graded ? + PC + user need Users Single Owner why do I Admin quot from XP to Win I am on Win training wheels Single user PC why do I need Admin + Owner + Users ? and I still fall of As a single user PC the new quot Administrator quot quot Owner quot etc is driving me insane In the process Single user PC why do I need Admin + Owner + Users ? of trying to get a grasp on Win and its foibles I am getting more frstrated with Win My four other WinXp PRO machines are just a dream to use Thay are all standalone PCs -- stable and they let me quot in quot My Toshiba laptop came with Win Home preloaded Is there such a thing as a single user install If so would I have to buy a Win Disc I am seriously thinking of buying a full retail version of Win so that when if my XP machines fall over I wont have the agony of Win because hopefully I will be familiar with Win tweaks As a Autocad programmer I mostly work in VBA and scripts I think I am developing a crush on Linux and we haven't even met I would appreciate any informative help

A:Single user PC why do I need Admin + Owner + Users ?

I can appreciate your frustration, Russell. The learning curve from XP to 7 can be kinda steep. One of the issues many people first have is the increased security offered by Windows 7. As you said in your post about your XP machines, "They are all standalone PCs -- stable and they let me "in"." That was one of XP's major problems ... lots of malware was able to get in as well as the authorized user(s).

When a new 7 computer is first set up, the initial account created is an administrator account so you can make required changes to the computer (like choosing language of choice, setting computer time zone, etc.) So there always has to be at least one administrator account on a 7 machine.

But to add to the confusion, this is an "unelevated" administrator account. In other words, there are some tasks (such as running a system file checker scan [sfc /scannow] from a command prompt), that cannot be done without jumping through one more hoop. If you open a command prompt in 7 (either by typing cmd in the start menu search box or using the long way start > all programs > accessories > command prompt) you have to right-click the command prompt icon and select "Run as administrator". It's just another security feature to make it more difficult for malware to get in.

A lot of people who are the only ones using the computer leave things as is ... running with that administrator account. Nothing wrong with that if you're careful and know what sites you're visiting, what email attachments you're opening, etc. But for an extra degree of security many people operate as a standard user just because it does make it more difficult for malware to get in. This tutorial goes into more detail about the various account types.

User Account Type - Change

As far as obtaining a Windows 7 installation disk, you could check out Step 4 in this tutorial (doing a repair install of Windows 7.)

Repair Install

You could download the ISO file for your version of Windows 7, save it to desktop, then burn it to a DVD. If you ever did a repair install or a clean install, just use the Product Key on your Toshiba laptop to re-activate with Microsoft. Hope some of this helps and doesn't make things even more confusing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/271549-single-user-pc-why-do-i-need-admin-owner-users.html
Relevancy 84.63%

Haha, I don't know what else to call it, but how do you change the owner where it says C:/User/Owner

Thanks

A:How do I change the owner in C:/user/owner

Hello Nick, and welcome to Vista Forums.

The only way to change the C:\Users\Owner folder name is to create a new administrator account, then delete the old C:\Users\Owner account from within the new account. Be sure to copy the contents that you want to save from the old accounts user folders into the corresponding new account's user folders to restore them to the new account.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

P.S.
Is this you to?
User profile

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/218268-how-do-i-change-owner-c-user-owner.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Hey, I had a previous post http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...er-195524.html

I got all my files copied from the Xp slave to the vista master fine, I had to change the owner of the files to myself on the vista computer in order to copy them. Now i've done a repair install on the xp drive and its back working but now i can't access my files in xp because they now belong to myself in vista.

How can i restore original or generic access back to my xp files?

Thanks

Michael

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/need-to-restore-original-owner-user-to-files-197108.html
Relevancy 108.79%

I have 200 folders in the C:/user/owner/local with names similar to {4BAD3A78-8A70-44D6-AD84-CF42571B0CD6}. All of them show 0 bytes, 0 files, 0 folders. What the heck are these?

Ron Burnes

A:Files in User/Owner/AppData/Local

Hello anaron

These files are safe to delete if you wish. There are many threads here as to where they come from, some say from windows live mail or messenger and others have different views but I don't remember there been a conclusive answer. The only thing we all agreed on is that the can be safely deleted if you want to however they take up no space so can be left alone.
My advise is to leave them in the recycle bin for a few days just to make sure you have no issues.

Danny

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/212618-files-user-owner-appdata-local.html
Relevancy 106.64%

I purchased my HP from a big computer store with Vista home installed on it It was an out of the box sale I thought I could avoid a wait for the to new by Change owner/administrator held owner references all previous comptuer I wanted The company Change all references held by previous owner/administrator to new owner that sold it to me was listed as the administrator The old owner took off their password before I took possession of the computer I purchased I followed instructions on how to put on a password to start the computer However there are dozens of fiels named after the previous administrator I tried to find out how to change the administrator globally to my name There is still an administrator account name and it appears the previous administrator is still above my permission status - even though i am the computer owner don't think I am the ultimate administrator yet I read that not being able to use screen print was a result of not being the administrator I can't make the screen print work either I assume some members have dealt with these matters before I would greatly appreciate anyone directing me to some good quot how to fix quot information Thank you and boy do I miss XP

A:Change all references held by previous owner/administrator to new owner

Hi gerevent and welcome to the forums

See if you can solve your problems with the aid of the following Tutorial (and the links within).
Dwarf

Administrator Account

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/170721-change-all-references-held-previous-owner-administrator-new-owner.html
Relevancy 103.63%

I recently bought an Acer AX3810 with Vista 7 Home Premium 64 bit from the widow of my neighbor. I had transferred all his personal files and copied all the photographs to an external hard drive for her then deleted all the files using "Eraser". I cannot seem to be able to delete the previous owner as administrator. His file has a little padlock symbol on it. I changed his name to mine in the "Manage user accounts" but no matter, it is still "him" that is logged on. I created a new account in my name and then changed the status from standard to administrator but he is still "there". I feel like I am being haunted. Any ideas?

A:New owner but cannot remove previous owner as administrator

You could do a clean install: Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/321987-new-owner-but-cannot-remove-previous-owner-administrator.html
Relevancy 101.91%

About 4 days ago I did a fresh install of Windows XP. I didn't reformat.
Somewhere it asked me for a name and I put in "Nunya."
In the C: drive "Documents and Settings" I have:
All Users
All Users.Windows
Default User
Default User.Windows
Owner
Owner.Nunya
Janet

I'm getting mixed up as to what user is the default. I'm the only person who uses this computer and I'm wanting to know if I can safely get rid and how to get rid of all unwanted "User" names. So that there is just one User...One Administrator, etc...me, Janet.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Relevancy 97.18%

I ran my Windows Disk cleanup and the problem has lessened still parts of my software will not work.
I installed and un installed all day yesterday trying to get a clean install.
Only new to me thing is the
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware I recently installed could it be causing these issues
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local....\embird64_temp_.tmp
I can not find that path

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-users-owner-appdata-local-embird64_temp_-tmp.1103689/
Relevancy 97.18%

Suppose the computer formerly belonged to Jane and so there is a directory named C:/Users/Jane. Now the computer belongs to Mary. Somehow I manged to rename the visible folder name - the one that appears with the icon - from Jane to Mary but in the file system the directory is still called C:/Users/Jane. Is there anyway to safely change this without inconvenient side-effects? The goal is to have it be C:/Users/Mary.

This problem is on a netbook with Windows 7 Starter (32 bit).

A:How do I rename the C:/Users/Owner folder safely?

Clean install of the os, then it wipes the hdd and starts anew with Mary's name.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/219015-how-do-i-rename-c-users-owner-folder-safely.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Hi, I went to command prompt and made a chkdsk/f and it asked me user/owner
so I put my user name but it keeps asking for it, what am I doing wrong ?

My laptop say :C dont I have to type chkdsk c ?

A:User/owner

Quote: Originally Posted by Danshibai

Hi, I went to command prompt and made a chkdsk/f and it asked me user/owner
so I put my user name but it keeps asking for it, what am I doing wrong ?

My laptop say :C dont I have to type chkdsk c ?

Why do you need to run CHKDSK from the command prompt?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/214562-user-owner.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I recently installed 7-zip, and downloaded a few other things, and now when I right click on files, the error message

There was a problem starting
C:\users\owner\appdata\local\tmp\stpraxi\serohnp\wow.dll
The specified module could not be found.

appears. It also crashes windows explorer in occasion. I see many others have had this problem, and everyone seems to have a slightly different fix. I should also note I do not have any virus protection or anything of the sort right now.

Thanks for reading.

A:Error when right clicking: C:\users\owner\appdata\local\tmp\stpraxi...

Run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

64-Bit Version OS Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 <===== Download Link

Drag the FRST64.exe from the Downloads folder to your Desktop

Right click on FRST64.exe and choose

When the tool opens click Yes on the disclaimer window .

Press Scan button.

FRST will let you know when the scan is complete and has written the FRST.txt to file

Note
The first time Farbar Recovery Scan Tool is run, it makes also another log Addition.txt

Please upload both logs in your reply.(FRST.txt and Addition.txt)

FRST.txt and Addition.txt will be on the Desktop

Upload a File
Click on the Go Advanced button under the Message box . Scroll down to Additional Options then click on Manage Attachments in the Attach Files sections . Click the Browse button locate the file then click on the Open button . In the Upload File from your Computer section click on the Upload button . Wait until it finishes uploading then close the window . Then click Submit Reply .

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/300956-error-when-right-clicking-c-users-owner-appdata-local-tmp-stpraxi.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Everytime I start up my computer this error message pops up stating:
"There was a Problem Starting C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\nadip.dll"
Here is a screen shot of the error message:

Any solutions?
- Michelle

A:There was a Problem Starting C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\nadip.dll

Run Malwarebytes

And then if that doesn't solve it delete the entry manually.

Start ---> Run ---> Type appdata ---> Locate file (p.s. you may need to enable hidden folders)

Run anti-virus scan to be sure.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/264210-there-problem-starting-c-users-owner-appdata-roaming-nadip-dll.html
Relevancy 94.6%

I purchased a solid state drive, had Windows 7 Professional installed on it, and had the drive installed in a laptop computer; love the performance of my refurbished laptop , except on the System drive in the Users account the name Owner appears. Where did this come from?

When I go to User Accounts in the Control Panel and click on Manage Accounts, Owner does not appear. Why?

KCav

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/385157-how-change-user-name-owner.html
Relevancy 94.6%

I purchased a solid state drive, had Windows 7 Professional installed on it, and had the drive installed in a laptop computer; love the performance of my refurbished laptop , except on the System drive in the Users account the name Owner appears. Where did this come from?

When I go to User Accounts in the Control Panel and click on Manage Accounts, Owner does not appear. Why?

KCav

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385157-how-change-user-name-owner.html
Relevancy 94.6%

When the OS was installed on my new solid state drive the user name Owner How to name user change Owner? was used I would like to create two user accounts and make them How to change user name Owner? both Administrators I went to Control Panel and clicked on User Accounts Then I clicked on Change your account name and I typed a user name above where it said This name will appear on the Welcome screen and Start menu then I clicked Change Name Next I clicked Change account type and selected Administrator Next I clicked on Change How to change user name Owner? your picture browsed to find a picture and inserted one Then I clicked on Manage another account and selected Create a new account and I created a new account When I rebooted it said Welcome to Windows Professional and displayed the icons for both users and when I selected one I arrived on my Desktop Everything seemed to work perfectly until Iuntil I went to C Users and did not find the name of my new How to change user name Owner? user account instead Owner was there I ight clicked on Owner and looked for the Rename facility it was not there I scroll down and clicked on Properties on the General tab I was unable to change the name Owner on the tab for Sharing it said Owner shared then I clicked on the Security tab and It said Object Name C Owner There was a heading Group or User Names under it were items Oneitem combined the new user name with system name owner Since the name Owner was changed using the Change name facility in User Accounts why does this item appear here I can rename most folders by right clicking on the folder name and selecting Rename Why isn't Rename available with in C Users Owner How do I change the user name Owner KCav

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/594941/how-to-change-user-name-owner/
Relevancy 94.6%

Booted the computer today. Started a media player to listen to radio. Everything fine. Tried to start another program. Message box informed me Windows unable to access file.You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. Now I cannot run any programs.

There is only one user account. I cannot create another because I cannot run Control Panels either. I cannot drag and drop. I can't even shut the computer down except through the Task Manager. I can't even find a way to boot into Safe Mode to see what I could do there. I am trying to avoid reinstalling everything. Help.

A:User Owner has no permissions

FIRST try this:Boot to your WinXP Setup CD
At the 1st window with the Repair option on the bottom Statusbar, do that to open the Repair Console
When you get to the Repair Console's Command Prompt enter CHKDSK C: /R (the R is not a typo)
Let CHKDSK do its thing, then reboot
Also, running CHKDSK from the desktop (via Start menu, Accessories, Command Prompt) by entering CHKDSK C: /F (the F is not a typo), occasionally. This should be part of your general system maintenance routine. Note that this will require a reboot to actually run.

SECOND: You ARE running an up-to-date AntiVirus program, correct?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-owner-has-no-permissions-274066.html
Relevancy 94.17%

I made a mistake on my initial post and it was not addressed yet. I used the wrong file name
Message states that this may not be compatible with the version of windows running.
Check if the module is compatible with a 32 or 64 bit version of regsvr32.exe.

BTW I am running 32 bit vista.

I would appreciate it if someone could address this

A:Module c/users/owner/appdata/local ovrhics/eP0npp01.dll Error

Please stop opening new topics. You are already being helped here. Stick with it!

Regards,
Georgi

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/535442/module-cusersownerappdatalocal-ovrhicsep0npp01dll-error/
Relevancy 94.17%

Hello I hope you can help me The computer I m using to write my grad thesis won t connect to the internet because of the error in message I get error C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\dwm.exe on startup: this the title I get this error message on startup: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\dwm.exe I used all the suggestions in the forum welcome page run the I get this error message on startup: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\dwm.exe specs HiJackThis etc I tried checking other users with similar error displays but either the threads are closed or they have no replies or it s not the same error and I m not sure if I should try the fixes suggested Here is all the information I think I get this error message on startup: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\dwm.exe you ll need if not a fair bit extra Thanks in advance to any help you can provide and Happy Holidays Computer Specs Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor AMD Athlon tm X Dual-Core QL- x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce M G Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Acer Inc Grasmoor Not Applicable LXARE X EBD Antivirus AVG Anti-Virus Free Disabled DDS Specs DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Owner at on Sat Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium GMT - SP Windows Defender enabled Updated D DDC A- F- FAE- E -DA C ACF Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgchsvx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgrsx exe C Windows system lsm exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k rpcss C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system SLsvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system rundll exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgfws exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Windows system svchost exe -k bthsvcs C Program Files NewTech Infosystems NTI Backup Now Client Agentsvc exe C Program Files Acer Arcade Deluxe HomeMedia Kernel DMP CLHNService exe C Program Files Acer Empowering Technology eDataSecurity x eDSService exe C Program Files Acer Empowering Technology Service ETService exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Windows system lxdncoms exe C Acer Mobility Center MobilityService exe C Program Files NewTech Infosystems NTI Backup Now BackupSvc exe C Program Files NewTech Infosystems NTI Backup Now SchedulerSvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Western Digital WD SmartWare WD Drive Manager WDDMService exe C Program Files Western Digital WD SmartWare Front Parlor WDSmartWareBackgroundService exe C Windows System svchost exe -k WerSvcGroup C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Windows system DRIVERS xaudio exe C Windows system wbem unsecapp exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Acer Empowering Technology eDataSecurity x eDSLoader exe C Program Files NewTech Infosystems NTI Backup Now BkupTray exe C Windows PLFSetI exe C Program Files Launch Manager QtZgAcer EXE C Program Files Acer Empowering Technology ePower ePower DMC exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Windows System rundll exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files DivX DivX Update DivXUpdate exe C Pro... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-get-this-error-message-on-startup-c-users-owner-appdata-local-temp-dwm-exe.965018/
Relevancy 94.17%

When I boot up vista I get the above error message saying that it may not be compatible with the version of windows I am running. Check to see if the module is compatible with a 32 or 64 bit version of regsvr32.exe  How do I get rid of this

A:Users/Owner/App Data/local/ovrhics/ep0pp01.dll error message

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/535431/message-cprogramdataicnuyigibydat-failed-to-load/

Same computer ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/535436/usersownerapp-datalocalovrhicsep0pp01dll-error-message/
Relevancy 94.17%

I purchased a new desktop operating on Windows Vista Now since I do all my computing from home I On Any Computer? Change From Owner's Password Access Computer Can Owner have had little need of my very basic laptop The laptop is a panasonic toughbook pc that is still operating on windows I purchased it Feb I lent it to Can Owner Change Access Password On Owner's Computer From Any Computer? someone that has been a friend for about and a half years I lent it to friend because friend stressed the need of a computer NOW but offered to purchase it in increments LATER when financial situations could afford it Friend kept contact more frequently than usual to learn all of my laptop s operations After awhile friend s cell phone number changed and a variety of people are consistently saying that friend is never there at friend s known residence Finally some young child at friend s residence maybe a cousin or nephew told me that friend has moved Now I have no contact with friend Friend seems to have run off with my laptop for FREE and won t respond to e-mails I ve never had this much trouble contacting friend WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS Is there any way that I can CHANGE MY ACCESS PASSWORD ON MY LAPTOP FROM MY DESKTOP to better the chances of getting in contact with friend I have all the information on the laptop from the company that I purchased it from can obtain any information that I don t have from the company that has my information on laptop purchase and I created the original access password myself so I know what it is but I also gave it to friend Is there ANY WAY possible that an access password can be changed in this way I will even go as far as to purchase software for this purpose if it can t be done any other way Is there any software that can assist me I would rather try this way first before I consider pressing charges PLEASE HELP

A:Can Owner Change Access Password On Owner's Computer From Any Computer?

What you seek is prohibited on BleepingComputer. We do not assist is cracking, hackig, or otherwise circumventing security measures on any computer.No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.Source= RulesDo to the nature of the topic this Topic is Closed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108730/can-owner-change-access-password-on-owners-computer-from-any-computer/
Relevancy 93.31%

I'm having problems with my main user profile, so I figured that I could copy the user profile to another user. So I used robocopy with these params

Code:
robocopy c:\users\ame g:\users\ame /COPYALL /E /XJ /R:2 /W:5 /MT:4
Now I have a copy of my user profile!

But I'm wondering about the owner and the rights?

Who should be the Owner?
Who should have Rights and what should they be?

// Anders

A:User profile - Owner and Rights

FWIW; On my system, which has not been modified from the defaults at install time, shows the owner of c:\users\tanya as SYSTEM, and the perms with SYSTEM, and Administrators, and Tanya all with full control, and no other rights.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/203047-user-profile-owner-rights.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Is there a way to author user/owner vs Windows 7 permanently change the default 'author quot I often post files to the web and Windows 7 user/owner vs author dont really want my personal name there In hindsight I should have created profiles for Dad Mom RJ etc and never used 'conveninent' family member names for user profiles like for example Ralph Sally Robby Admin Guest as those later name show up as authors and are visibile under document properties or meta data - a concern when files are posted to the web I tried some workarounds but they are not that great eg - some apps allow you to hide personal meta data but one does not always remember to use it - some apps dont let you hide meta data or worse unhide them - eg - apps like CutePDF bring them right back when creating a PDF file - some apps strip meta data but again you need to remember to use them snd some only work on images Ideally I'd like to be able for permanent change author and forget about it I don't dare change all occurances of Ralph to Dad as I assume that will mess-up the user profiles Any suggestions Can I create an new profile called Dad and essentially make it a close of what I currently have for Ralph I see many references to a WinEnabler app - all positive but these seem to be older posts also read quot Windows Enabler is broken by some security change on Windows SP

A:Windows 7 user/owner vs author

After some searches , I found the tutorial about changing a user profile name :
User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

I guess I'm trying to see if there is a solution where I could copy to new one (vs change), so as to:
- preserve my current profile if things go south
- later purge references to the old name from Task Manager, Permissions, the Registry etc ( by deleting the old account once the new account working.

Is changing the profile name (vs copy) the only option??

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/281804-windows-7-user-owner-vs-author.html
Relevancy 92.88%

When I boot up vista I get the above error message saying that it may not be compatible with the version of windows I am running. Check to see if the module is compatible with a 32 or 64 bit version of regsvr32.exe.

What do I do here

A:The Module users/owner/appdata/local\ovrhics/ep0pp01.dll error message

I see you are being helped over at BleepingComputer Forums. They are good so I would listen to what they have to say. It appears you have a bad case of malware and they are by far the best place to obtain help with that.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/302601-module-users-owner-appdata-local-ovrhics-ep0pp01-dll-error-message.html
Relevancy 92.88%

I am getting this error message when I boot my computer. I am running Windows 7 and do not know what it means. Can anyone give me some advice? I greatly appreciate it!!

Here is the full message:

RunDLL

"There was a problem starting C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\
The specified module could not be found."

I have also attached a screenshot here.

Thank you soo much for any help!

A:RunDLL-"There was a problem starting C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp

Welcome to the forum ana777

Do the steps mentioned in this tutorial: Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup

Post back for further suggestions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/248533-rundll-there-problem-starting-c-users-owner-appdata-local-temp.html
Relevancy 92.45%

I am running Windows XP and Internet Explorer Tonight I removed a few viruses by myself using Malwarebytes 40004SALE\OWNER User - Virus?? Profiles and ComboFix and also by deleting individual files I knew were part of the viruses But I was still feeling very suspicious that I may still have something on my computer And I incidentally went into my Control Panel to the System icon and then for no reason at all checked my User Profiles and the Settings Listed were two VERY suspicious User Profiles - 40004SALE\OWNER Virus?? user profiles both with the same name quot SALE OWNER quot but created on different dates The first one was created on August and the other was created today September Obviously I did not create these myself so I feel there MUST be a security breach For some unknown reason I was able to delete the August profile but it tells me I can only Change the Profile Type of the September one but it only has the option of Local I searched the web up and down on quot SALE OWNER quot and came up with absolutely nothing I have exhausted the little expertise I have and am asking for someone to please help me I just finally want my computer back to the way it was I have reason to believe that whatever began this whole thing knocked out my connection to the router in our house It wiped out the secure connection I was running on similarily around the same time Thank you

A:User Profiles - 40004SALE\OWNER Virus??

Hello and welcome. having run ComboFix on your own means we need to approach this this way.Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.Include your ComboFix log.Let me know if that went well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/346741/user-profiles-40004saleowner-virus/
Relevancy 92.45%

As you can see the name there is quot SONYUHSHIDAE quot but there is a Mr RK there I want to get rid of computer? do my owner/user How of edit/change the the I of name that but I don t know how to edit it When you go to my user accounts My user name is quot SONE PC How do I edit/change the name of the owner/user of my computer? quot and not even quot Mr RK quot And all the folders under quot SONE PC quot is on the folder Mr RK on this path C Users Mr RK And in this picture you can see my computer name is quot SoNyuhShiDae quot and it doesn t have quot Mr RK quot on it but quot Mr RK quot is still present on How do I edit/change the name of the owner/user of my computer? the user profiles whatever And all the files has the owner named with my computer name and quot Mr RK quot is again included I want to get rid of that quot Mr RK quot Please help me My user account is the only account on this computer so I am also the administrator nbsp

A:How do I edit/change the name of the owner/user of my computer?

http://www.petri.co.il/change_registered_user_and_company_vista_xp.htm

BUT BE CAREFUL AND BACK UP REGISTRY FIRST re boot after set a system restore point before

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-edit-change-the-name-of-the-owner-user-of-my-computer.936416/
Relevancy 92.45%

hi everyone again I recently installed Treesize software on my computer it is a quick way to see what user/owner. to main Access denied is using most space Access denied to main user/owner. on your hard drives I am impressed with it Access denied to main user/owner. There are users on my computer all password protected I am main user administrator owner my wife is an administrator also my daughter is an administrator and my son has a limited account The Treesize came up with access denied to my wife's account and son's account My daughter's amp my account were shown on Treesize I opened C drive selected Documents and Settings same thing happened Access denied to both those accounts I also learnt from Treesize amp from Documents amp Settings that I have besides above mentioned accounts a seperate administrator account a seperate owner account a guest account amp an all users account I cannot delete the surplus accounts Access denied How odd In control panel only our accounts and guest account shown which is off A year ago I had a repair done on my computer would the shop have made extra accounts I realise you should only have administrator per computer but found that this was too limited for my wife amp daughter to use hence administrators Anyone got any ideas on this problem Regards tech no

A:Access denied to main user/owner.

jkust replace "SAM" file in folder C:\windows\system32\config with the one "SAM" at c:\windows\repair folder. Now restart the PC and all the passwords are gone...
Just try and do inform me if it works or not...

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-denied-to-main-user-owner-168042.html
Relevancy 91.16%

I recently purchased a used computer, created an account for myself, but am unable to remove the former user's account. In control panel under user accounts or manage accounts, the former account does not display so I can't delete. Under windows explorer the former account displays and I can work in either account, but want to have only one account on pc for security reasons. Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 91.16%

I tried to update Norton AntiVirus the other day and it said that I needed Administrator account or to be a quot Power User quot to do so and I know for sure that I do not have another account on this computer I know that this is a symptom for some viruses so I immediately ran Power Administrator User Blocking Or Owner Account a full system scan which turned up nothing except a few cookies Spybot S amp D found a few entries that all looked like spyware and I deleted them promptly After the first scan however Spybot Power User Or Administrator Blocking Owner Account aborted each scan that I attempted to do with a note that said quot User aborted scan quot even when I did not stop it Afterward I ran the free version of Ad-Aware SE which turned up a few problems that I fixed as well but Norton will not let Power User Or Administrator Blocking Owner Account me update still I have had problems with this computer before Here's the HJT log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP Power User Or Administrator Blocking Owner Account SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSvcHst exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AppCore AppSvc exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exeC WINDOWS System nvsvc exeC Program Files Common Files Sonic Update Manager sgtray exeC WINDOWS LTMSG exeC Program Files QuickTime bak qttask exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC WINDOWS system rundll exeC Program Files Nikon PictureProject NkbMonitor exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exeC PROGRA Symantec LIVEUP LUCOMS EXEC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Documents and Settings Owner Desktop HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http us hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http srch-us hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www washingtonpost com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http srch-us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http us hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localhostO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dllO - Toolbar HP View - B E - D D- DEB- B - D BCF F - c Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpdtlk dllO - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS System NvCpl dll NvStartupO - HKLM Run VTTimer VTTimer exeO - HKLM Run UpdateManager quot C Program Files Common Files Sonic Update Manager sgtray exe quot rO - HKLM Run Sunkist k C Program Files Multimedia Card Reader shwicon k exeO - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeO - HKLM Run Recguard C WINDOWS SMINST RECGUARD EXEO - HKLM Run PS C WINDOWS system ps exeO - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe installquiet keeploaded nodetectO - HKLM Run mmtask C Program Files MUS... Read more

A:Power User Or Administrator Blocking Owner Account

Welcome to the BleepingComputer HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum Richard V My name is Richie and i'll be helping you to fix your problems.Download Combofix and save to your desktop:Note: It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop Close any open browsers. Double click on combofix.exe and follow the prompts. When it's finished it will produce a log. Post the entire contents of C:\ComboFix.txt into your next reply. Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause the program to freeze/hang. Do NOT post the ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt unless I ask.Also post a new Hijackthis log please.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/104157/power-user-or-administrator-blocking-owner-account/
Relevancy 91.16%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3966 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 2100 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) , 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 369818 MB;
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-MA74GM-S2H, x.x,
Antivirus: Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live! Anti-Virus, Updated and Enabled

Hi, I had to restore my computer and now keep getting a windows installer trying to do something and the diologue box says that this file can't be found,
c:\users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS5AA2\setup\status\status.msiTrayapp

Could you please help me? Thank you

A:Solved: c:\users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\7zS5AA2\setup\st atus\status.msiTrayapp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-c-users-owner-appdata-local-temp-7zs5aa2-setup-status-status-msitrayapp.1005150/
Relevancy 90.3%

Can't check the "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" in regedit advanced security settings for Enum folder. Get this error message:

http://i.imgur.com/PcIQrPf.png

The system cant install the drivers for new usb devices, and all of the guides i could find in google assume you can check this box without any troubles. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

A:Can't check the "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" in regedit.

Welcome to TechSupportForum

Try this ...

Close Regedit, get to an elevated cmd prompt and type:psexec -1 -d -s c:\windows\system32\regedt32.exePsExec is available on Microsoft's site: PsExec

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-check-the-replace-owner-on-subcontainers-and-objects-in-regedit-895682.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC how I can my owner retrieve files WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exec Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exec Program Files how can I retrieve my owner files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC WINDOWS Explorer how can I retrieve my owner files EXEC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC windows system hpsysdrv exeC WINDOWS System hkcmd exeC Program Files HP Digital Imaging Unload hpqcmon exeC WINDOWS System hphmon exeC HP KBD KBD EXEC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC WINDOWS LTMSG exeC WINDOWS ALCXMNTR EXEC Program Files Multimedia Card Reader shwicon k exeC Program Files Ares Lite Edition AresLite exeC Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeC Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exec Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exec how can I retrieve my owner files Program Files Norton AntiVirus SAVScan exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exeC Program Files Updates from HP Program BackWeb- exeC Program Files MUSICMATCH MUSICMATCH Jukebox mmtask exeC PROGRA HEWLET HPORGA bin nda exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC WINDOWS System cmd exeC Documents and Settings Owner YOUR-FSYLY JTWN Local Settings Temp Temporary Directory for hijackthis zip HijackThis exeC Documents and Settings Owner YOUR-FSYLY JTWN Local Settings Temp Temporary Directory for hijackthis zip HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localhostO - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - B CA - A - D -A DF- BB - no file O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - c Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - BHO no name - FDD B - D - ffb- - B AD ACC - no file O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocxO - Toolbar HP View - B E - D D- DEB- B - D BCF F - c Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpdtlk dllO - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - c Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dllO - HKLM Run hpsysdrv c windows system hpsysdrv exeO - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS System hkcmd exeO - HKLM Run CamMonitor c Program Files HP Digital Imaging Unload hpqcmon exeO - HKLM Run HPHUPD c Program Files HP B B-DCAB- - EE - F hphupd exeO - HKLM Run HPHmon C WINDOWS System hphmon exeO - HKLM Run KBD C HP KBD KBD EXEO - HKLM Run UpdateManager quot C Program Files Common Files Sonic Update Manager sgtray exe quot rO - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osbootO - HKLM Run AutoTKit C hp bin AUTOTKIT EXEO - HKLM Run Recguard C WINDOWS SMINST RECGUARD EXEO - HKLM Run VTTimer VTTimer exeO - HKLM Run ccApp quot c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run LTMSG LTMSG exe O - HKLM Run AlcxMonitor ALCXMNTR EXEO - HKLM Run PS C WINDOWS system ps exeO - HKLM Run Sunkist k C Program Files Multimedia Card Reader shwicon k exeO - HKLM Run Reminder quot C Windows Creator Remind XP exe quot O - HKLM Run ccRegVfy quot c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccRegVfy exe quot O - HKLM Run mmtask C Program Files MUSICMATCH MUSICMATCH Jukebox mmtask exeO - HKCU Run areslite quot C Program Files Ares Lite Edition AresLite exe quot -hO - HKCU Run MSMSGS quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot backgroundO - HKCU Run msnmsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe quot backgroundO - Startup spamsubtract lnk C Program Files interMute SpamSubtract SpamSub exeO - Global Startup Adobe Gamma Loader lnk C Program Files Common Files Adobe Calibration Adobe Gamma Loader exeO - Global Startup HP Digital Imaging Monitor lnk C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exeO - Global Start... Read more

A:how can I retrieve my owner files

Hello atemmer and welcome to the BC malware forum. I'm not sure what you mean by 'how can I retrieve my owner files'. this is a malware forum and we deal specifically with infections and malware issues.And speaking of that, there are a couple of items that need to be fixed in the log so let's get to that.Start HijackThis and click the Scan button to perform a scan. Look for the following items and click in the checkbox in front of each item to select it:O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXEO9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htmO9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htmNow close ALL open windows except HijackThis and click the Fix Checked button to finish the repair.Ok. Reboot your machine normally and that takes care of that. If you are looking for information on file retrieval then I would suggest posting a question int he Windows XP forum and see what they have to say. They are the ones who deal with operating system and application issues.Cheers.OT

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/26326/how-can-i-retrieve-my-owner-files/
Relevancy 87.72%

Hi,
My workplace has a shared drive that many people contribute to and everyone has a size quota. I need to identify which files are mine in order to know if I can delete them or not. Is there some sort of free tool or command that I can use to identify the owners of files on a network drive?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/identify-owner-of-files-in-shared-drive-452071.html
Relevancy 87.72%

When you share your files with other on through OneDrive, they are marked with you as the owner, and the little symbol of to people.
My problem is I have a lot of files marked like this, but I haven't shared them with anyone. When I go to the folder which shows all of your shared files, the files are not there, so I know (hope) they are not shared. But why do they then have the symbol for a shared file?
When I unshare a shared file, the symbol dissapears, so all these files, which are not shared, should not have this symbol.
Does anyone have a solution?

A:OneDrive Files Marked with owner, but are not shared.

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question When you share your files with other on through OneDrive, they are marked with you as the owner, and the little symbol of to people.
My problem is I have a lot of files marked like this, but I haven't shared them with anyone. When I go to the folder which shows all of your shared files, the files are not there, so I know (hope) they are not shared. But why do they then have the symbol for a shared file?
When I unshare a shared file, the symbol dissapears, so all these files, which are not shared, should not have this symbol.
Does anyone have a solution? I think the shared folder on onedrive shows the files shared with you ...
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/438361-onedrive-files-marked-owner-but-not-shared.html
Relevancy 87.72%

I just built a new computer The hardware works wonderfully and I cant see how this issue could possibly be connected to the hardware I run Windows Home Premium bit This is a on going issue affecting some files sometimes I've had a couple instances where owner Premissions files and on Unknown random my downloads folder would randomly change ownership and permissions And I wouldn't even realize it until I try to download something and I get an error saying I lack Premissions and Unknown owner on random files the necessary permissions The only solution seems to be to delete the folder and make a new one If I try to change ownership with command prompt or a script it errors or says quot Access denied quot The same happens with many downloaded files They appear to be fine and sometimes they are But otherwise it will error and Premissions and Unknown owner on random files say that I doing have the necessary permissions to run that executable The programs that have the issues are mostly older programs and compatibility could be an issue But changing the compatibility settings or running as administrator both have no effect on the outcome In all cases the owner is changed to quot unknown quot and I am unable to do anything with it Unlocker and file assassin both end up producing access denied errors The only program thats even somewhat effective is Comodo Firewall's Defense Which can delete the files most of the time A couple remaining things I should mention All the programs and issues with ownership are avoided in safe mode It happens regardless of my antivirus running or even being installed An updated Malwarebytes scan found nothing and there are no signs of infection User account controls has been disabled to no avail And file location has no impact on the outcome be in a system folder or my documents folder Lastly restarting the computer will unlock the files allowing me to delete them but if I attempt to run one after a reboot the problem returns I'd like a way to disable permissions all together so as to allow me to do whatever I want But given that I think that's impossible while maintaining system stability I'd like to know if this is just a flaw in Premissions and Unknown owner on random files Windows bit or if there is a way to solve it Any ideas Suggestions Work arounds

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/premissions-and-unknown-owner-on-random-files-627484.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi Guys,

I'm currently using Windows 2000 server and I have a quota for each user. The problem I am having is that, Lab Technicians are used to copy files for the students, when the lab technicians use their accounts to copy the file(s), the owner of the file points back to the lab technician account and not the current user. Therefore the quota for the lab technican keeps showing full, while for the student it shows empty. Is there a command that can be used to change the owner of the files from the lab technician account to the specific user account. Thanks in advance. Ray.

A:Changing owner of files on windows 2000 server

Windows 2000 server owner. Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-owner-of-files-on-windows-2000-server.295215/
Relevancy 86.43%

Several things seem comprimised, or is it? Looking at the sheer number of Unknown Owners and Missing Files...what could be going on here? Is this at all, "normal"? *EDIT_NEVERMIND, I found my answer in the Official HJT forums, and present it here for all future Windows 7 64-bit users for future reference:Re: HJT Unknown owner - missing file in logOptions Hi there!HiJackThis version up until 2.0.3 (beta) are geared towards most consumer installations on 32-bit and systems from Windows XP and prior.We've tested it to run without crashing on even the latest Windows 7, however the outputs would not be as meaningful (ex. Unknown Owner) given that registry entries beyond Windows XP have slight differences in the calling code. The next version of HiJackThis (v2.0.5) is in the works and we're looking to get all the needed updates including 64-bit functionality in place towards Q1 2010. Stay tuned :-)***********************************************Thank you HJT.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/287293/should-i-erase-all-the-missing-filesunknown-owner-objects/
Relevancy 86.43%

First time this for me - my D drive which is where I save all & sundry away from C-drive says I need admin permission to write/delete in "D".

I am the only admin & np other accts exist.

A:Simple stuff: Owner needs permission to add/delete files ??

This is an old problem. It can probably be solved with this informative tutorial
Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/359274-simple-stuff-owner-needs-permission-add-delete-files.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I just got a used laptop from my nephew (with XP Home) and he has hella downloads on it that's taking up a lot of the hard-drive space.

Can I delete everything that he had saved if I delete his old user account?    Or is their another way to do it? 

Or is that even possible?

Thanks

A:Another Newbie Question--Can I delete files/downloads from previous owner

As long as these aren't applications belonging to Windows XP you should be able to delete or uninstall them at your discretion.  If you have any questions regarding any programs you aren't sure of please post them.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/485614/another-newbie-question-can-i-delete-filesdownloads-from-previous-owner/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi there I know similar issues have somehow been addressed elsewhere but it seems my particular problem hasn't quite been faced by many others so here we go I have thousands of files on an external drive My computer recently crashed so on permissions be Files external accessed hell!) (owner + cannot drive I had to fresh-install windows ultimate x While some files on the extenal hdd work fine others won't work given that the owner and permissions are screwed I can manually right-click any file and go to the properties gt security tab and then add quot Everyone quot Files on external drive cannot be accessed (owner + permissions hell!) or my new user and then add full control and that's it the file works fine BUT I can't be doing this manually for thousands of files Files on external drive cannot be accessed (owner + permissions hell!) So I've researched a bit and have installed the registry hack for quot Take ownership quot on right-clicking a Files on external drive cannot be accessed (owner + permissions hell!) file folder Add quot Take Ownership quot to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win or Vista - How-To Geek I've ran a bunch of commands from an admin-level command prompt icacls takeown grant etc as per here Tools to Manage Access Control Lists - Tutorials Articles Algorithms Tips Examples about Security Solved changing permissions on multiple files - Vista Forums All I now see is some weird user on most files but no permissions set for me to access them user is something like S- - - And so nothing seems to have been solved I still have to manually right-click a file and use the security tab to add a new user set permissions etc How come it works through the gui and not on the command line My hope is to do it for a whole folder E music which has literally hundreds and hundreds of folders and mp files It would suck if I'm stuck doing it manually Thanks in advance for your help if any -

A:Files on external drive cannot be accessed (owner + permissions hell!)

I saw some User like S-1-5-... on my XP machine when my Recycle Bin malfunctioned while trying to clear a drive. Had to get bit-unlocker to keep the Recycle Bin from locking up on a folder with that username every time I tried to empty the Recycle Bin. The problem eventually went away, maybe after I repartitioned the other drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/263326-files-external-drive-cannot-accessed-owner-permissions-hell.html
Relevancy 82.56%

May I know is it possible to show domain user's "Display Name" instead of "User Logon Name" as owner in print queue? Our company's domain using generic "User Logon Name", i.e. 001, 002, 003 and so on, each "User Logon Name" will have personalized "Display Name", e.g. Mary, John etc., but a problem is when a print job printed by a user is hold in the print queue of a network printer, other users won't know who is it (the owner of the print job may shown as 001, 002 etc.) and so not able to ask that user to remove the print job. Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/show-users-display-name-instead-of-user-logon-name-as-owner-in-print-queue.616719/
Relevancy 82.13%

If you are trying to burn a DVD get completion and then get the error message quot the owner sid on a per-user subscription doesn amp t exist quot I can t tell you why nor how to fix it but the following SHOULD get you back to owner a doesnít the per-user for sid error Workaround, "the exist". on subscription burning From the start menu choose quot Workaround, for the error "the owner sid on a per-user subscription doesnít exist". Windows Movie Maker quot NOT Windows DVD maker Start a new project from the menu on the left Workaround, for the error "the owner sid on a per-user subscription doesnít exist". click quot videos quot select the videos you want on the DVD Then highlight and drag the videos onto the storyboard Click publish and choose the DVD option The program then will then open the DVD maker program And your project SHOULD complete without any snags I have done this Workaround, for the error "the owner sid on a per-user subscription doesnít exist". several times and it has worked every time Hope it does for you too I searched all over creation for the answer and there were so many other people asking the same question but no answers Thus when I figured this out I ran back to my home base Techguy org to share in hopes of saving someone else from the same frustration Cheers Niki nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workaround-for-the-error-the-owner-sid-on-a-per-user-subscription-doesn%C2%92t-exist.899318/
Relevancy 81.27%

Just got a new notebook with Vista Ultimate installed. Under User Accounts it lists "All Users", "Default User" and "Owner". I'd like to change Owner to my name. Is that possible? I tried right-clicking it but Rename isn't an option. The computer was set up in the store I bought it and I suppose that's what they put in. My initial log-in as Administrator did not require a password. I've since changed that and I now log in with my name as an Administrator and using a password. But my name isn't listed as one of the Users. I remember going into the Registry in previous versions of Windows and changing things like this but am reluctant to do so in Vista because I know so little about it.

A:Changing User folder name from "Owner" to me

The best way to do this , is to "Make a new admin account", Ste up your email and make the system settings that you want. Copy all of the data files, favorites and etc from the "Owner" to your New account. After you are sure that you have copied all of your data, delete the old account and files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-user-folder-name-from-owner-to-me.719978/
Relevancy 80.84%

I upgraded my Windows XP PC to Windows 7 utimate. All accounts were created as an administrator but now when reviewing user accounts both accounts are listed as standard users. I also logged in as the administrator default account created a new admin user and that account acts like standard user. Any idea why this happens?

A:administrator accounts changed to standard users

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/340610-administrator-accounts-changed-standard-users.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Internet s been loading slower, files owner" loading "unknown Internet slower unless I clear my temporary files is my computer infected What can I do to prevent from clicking on websites that have viruses is there Internet loading slower, "unknown owner" files any site advisers that truly help in preventing malaware Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis Internet loading slower, "unknown owner" files v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files x Skype Phone Skype exe C Program Files x Logitech Vid Vid exe C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup TOASTER EXE C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup Components DSUpdate DSUpd exe C Program Files x Multimedia Card Reader ShwiconXP exe C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup COMPONENTS SCHEDULER STSERVICE EXE C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Online DataSafeOnline exe C Program Files x Roxio Roxio Burn RoxioBurnLauncher exe C Program Files x Logitech LWS Webcam Software LWS exe C Program Files x Logitech LWS Webcam Software CameraHelperShell exe C Program Files x Common Files Logishrd LQCVFX COCIManager exe C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Ink TabTip exe C Program Files x Logitech LWS LU LULnchr exe C Program Files x Logitech LWS LU LogitechUpdate exe C Users Alexis AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Alexis AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Alexis AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Alexis AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Alexis AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Alexis AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe c PROGRA mcafee SITEAD saui exe C Users Alexis AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Alexis AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Alexis Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http tumblr com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - EBBBE -BAD - B C- E A- ABECAE - c PROGRA mcafee SITEAD mcieplg dll O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files x Oracle JavaFX Runtime bin ssv dll O - BHO scriptproxy - DB D A - - E -B D- F C - C Program Files x Common Files McAfee SystemCore ScriptSn dll O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO SkypeIEPluginBHO - AE - E C- ED - F B-F F A - C Program Files x Skype Toolbars Internet Explorer skypeieplugin dll O - BHO McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO - B E -A B - A -B - CD E A FF - c PROGRA mcafee SITEAD mcieplg dll O - BHO Bing Bar Helper - d ce e -f a- - e- dc f c f - C Program Files x Microsoft BingBar BingExt dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Oracle JavaFX Runtime bin jp ssv dll O - Toolbar McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - EBBBE -BAD - B C- E A- ABECAE - c PROGRA mcafee SITEAD mcieplg dll O - Toolbar Bing Bar - dcb -df - - - fa b f - quot C Program Files x Microsoft BingBar BingExt dll quot file mi... Read more

A:Internet loading slower, "unknown owner" files

bump

edit: noticing random white popup on startup appear and quickly dissapear

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-loading-slower-unknown-owner-files.1068249/
Relevancy 77.83%

i cant get rid of the files in C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5....NOTHING ive tried has worked....any information on how i can get rid of them would be GREAT!!

A:C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.

Hi Welcome to TSG!!

If you log on as administrator you should be able to delete everything in the C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 folder.

If you sign in as "owner" you should be able to remove everything except index.dat if you close all of your browser windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-documents-and-settings-owner-local-settings-temp-temporary-internet-files-content.567350/
Relevancy 77.83%

Six months ago my stepson asked me to set up user accounts on his computer Compaq Presario SR x XP home so that his teenage daughter wouldn't be able to download unwanted nasties I set up an administrators account password protected for me limited account password protected for him and she used the guest account He did not want to know the password for the administrators account Today he brought the computer back in and said nothing looked right to him changed User accounts I hooked it up and the user accounts that I set up were gone Instead it boots up to a User accounts changed new account quot Compaq owner quot which has administrators rights Anti spyware found amp removed over infections but nothing was found by Norton anti-virus I found the previous profiles under quot documents amp settings quot but they don't show up under quot User accounts quot The only thing he said he changed was ISP's going from Mediacom to Embarq His daughter claims to know nothing about it as is expected How was this so easily defeated without knowing the password Could this have been the result of something being changed in the transition of providers If not I would assume that she correctly guessed the password that I selected and something stronger will be needed Your opinions please

A:User accounts changed

Please note, on the above post I am not seeking information on changing passwords, only trying to determine if the password had been guessed, or if there is another legitimate explanation as to how the changes occurred. Thank you for any opinions...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-accounts-changed-278797.html
Relevancy 77.83%

When I print a certain Win7 webpages from either Firefox or IntExp into a pdf file it works fine.

However when I go for such a created pdf file to context menu

Properties->Security

then there is only the current user "pet" (=the user who printed the file) listed.

On another Win7 system for a similar pdf printing operation as "Group or user names" the entry "Everyone" is taken.

How can I achieve on the first mentioned system that here as well "Everyone" is taken as default for all future print operations?

Furthermore: How can I list all files on partition D: which are linked to e.g. user "pet"?

Is there a command/tools which is able to scan and filter them out?

Is there a bulk operation which convert hundreds of files from user "pet" to everyone"?

Thank you
Peter

A:Prevent printed *.pdf files to get the curr owner: Instead "Everyone"

The permissions applied to a file is, should be, determined by the folder the file is located in. If the folder has "Everyone" then files created in the folder, unless specifically overridden by the software, the file will take the permissions from the folder that applies to the file.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/207697-prevent-printed-pdf-files-get-curr-owner-instead-everyone.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi I have two accounts on my laptop Bryan as admin and James as my local account which I use for my daily workings All my work is save to a different partition on the hard drive I now notice that if I go to C users I have my admin account but there are two other user accounts James and James lenovo Originally I found James and James- user accounts so I moved the James- folders and files to my work partition just so I didn't lose the info before deleting it When I signed in again I could only sign in as a quot guest quot using the James- password I have now spent a coupe of days deleting the user are and different accounts User users account under the User Accounts setting Then deleting the James account in the only place it appears C Users and creating a new Local User account in the user accounts using Bryan admin However I find that in C drive I still have two James users - James and James lenovo I think that when I just deleted the James account in C Users it must have left some residual elements somewhere and it recreated itself and the new local account which I names User accounts and users are different simply James was forced to add to the name Lenovo to prevent conflicts Although I doesn't affect the running of the computer having both users takes up considerable space James user gbs while the new James lenovo has gb Has anyone any idea how to resolve the matter

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/35843-user-accounts-users-different.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I was trying to setup password and must have clicked on adminstrator rights and now I'm locked out and the area is greyed out the keys that say yes when i want to setup advanced user accounts setup.. IF I could at least get into restore \i could set the pc back. but it says do you want to make following changed to computer but the \yes is greyed out...

Help

A:Help I changed user accounts now locked out

That sounds like you left the house, locked the door and threw the key for safe keeping through the mail slot back in.
You still have the original valid admin-pw right?
In that case I would either try a system restore to a point before the changes or
go through the build in admin account and set things right

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

-DG

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/129339-help-i-changed-user-accounts-now-locked-out.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hey guys I used the premium upgrade version to upgrade my vista to 7 and loving it so far. With vista on the welcome screen it was alphabetical so with my name beginning with "A" my name was first, my parents who I start pff woith my mums name "L" 2nd and my sister "M" 3rd but since the upgrade the order changed and now I'm 3rd, my sister second and my parents first. NOt so big a deal but I was use to the old order plus with my name being first I just had to hit enter and type in password now I'm too lazy to use the cursor to click on my name or the arrow keys to go to it hahaha nah but just was use to the old order and wow I've made a long post over something so dumb
Thanks

A:Can order of user accounts on welcome screen be changed

Hello Vesh and welcome to the SevenForums.

Logon screen shows the user accounts in alphabetical order based on the names first given to the account when it is created. If you change the user account name later, it does no longer change the order accounts are presented. Reason is simple: even if you change the user account name later, the user account folder keeps the original name. Renaming the user subfolders in C:\Users does not change the situation.

Quote:
An example:
You create an user account called Tom. After Tom logs in to that account first time, the subfolder Tom is created in C:\Users. This folder has now subfolders Vesh, Tom and Public. Logon screen shows two accounts alphabetically, first Tom and your account Vesh next to it.

You want your account to be shown first, so you go to Control Panel > User Accounts and change Tom's user name to Z-Tom. Logically this should now move your account first on logon screen (V before Z), but it's not going to happen because even though user name Tom was changed to Z-Tom, this users subfolder in C:\Users still has the name Tom.

Changing the username in User Accounts does not change the user's subfolders name thus the account order in logon screen stays as it was when user's subfolder was created by logging in first time!

What all this means is that you have to think the logon screen account order already when creating accounts. One method is to create accounts with names like A.Vesh, B.Tom, C.Wife and so on, and then log in to these accounts once so that the user subfolders are created. After that you can change the user names to whatever you like; logon screen is always going to show these three accounts in the alphabetical order they had when created.

I am very sorry I can not explain it better. I hope you can understand what I wrote; I read it through now and I have difficulties to understand my own text!

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/31299-can-order-user-accounts-welcome-screen-changed.html
Relevancy 75.25%

It appears my regular Windows 7 account (a "super admin" account) is blocked from other users. When I try to access the user files from another Windows 7 account, or from my Windows 8 side, it does not let me access the files. Is there a way around this? I'm guessing its some tiny setting or something I have missed or overlooked, but idk.

Thanks

A:User accounts/data blocked from other users?

Have you set a password for your account on windows 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/197171-user-accounts-data-blocked-other-users.html
Relevancy 75.25%

We are running Win 7 enterprise & Win 10 Enterprise and seem to be having issues with profiles. Recently we have noticed that multiples of staff accounts are appearing in the format shown below.

I have never seen this happen before and they appearing all over the place. Our staff use redirected folders but local settings are kept on the machines. I've never seen this happen before, but also after a while windows will prevent the user logging in. The
only work around we have found is to remove the folders and the registry entries. Anyone else seen or know how to fix this?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e94252e4-63e0-4d5d-81eb-0ef2218644a6/multiple-copies-of-user-accounts-in-cusers?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 75.25%

I changed my user name but that in the Users' folder remains unchanged. Is it possible to change that name to be the same as the new user ID on log-on screen?

A:User name changed but that in Users' folder is not.

You may need to make a NEW account, then delete the old one.
Changing the User Account name will not change the name in the Users folder.
Warning! Never change the name of the folder manually, or applications that depends on User Data will not work properly.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/17956-user-name-changed-but-users-folder-not.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi, everyone!
When I log on, I get that dreaded error saying that the wrong password was given. Then I go back and log in with a different account. I would like to get rid of the user account that tries to log in first, but when I go to Control-User Accounts-Manage Another Account, it isn't listed. Where the heck is it?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/52979-three-users-splash-screen-but-only-two-listed-under-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I have read various posts on this topic and really do NOT want to have to reformat All files are LNK I have down loaded exefix reg and linkfile fix reg but I cant get into regedit to use them I tried the ctrl alt delete trick but came up with the same error that said it needs to know what program to open .LNK and work... changed does regedit not Files to it with I tried the regfix inf but again it could not open it it I ve had this problem with the files all changing from exe to lnk before from adwatch bringging up about registry modification Files changed to .LNK and regedit does not work... alerts and blocked them all but the fix on this all the other times was easy and I was able to get into regedit to fix the problem Im not real sure where to go from here and suggestions that dont involve reformatting Also as with everything else system restore does not work And it does not make a diffrence if Im in safe mode or not on the reg fix or system restore nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/files-changed-to-lnk-and-regedit-does-not-work.499169/
Relevancy 73.96%
Q: owner

microsoft office porfessional 2003
document imaging printing
it is now locking up the computer at least twice in a process
it locks up when going to either the imaging printing or hp printer
have plenty of hard drive and ram
on a network with high speed dsl
not sure where the problem is
switched everything to lap top and it's ok there for now but desktop is not ok
help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/owner.247608/
Relevancy 73.96%
Q: Owner

A program called Sys Protect keeps inserting itself onto my computer. I do a remove program through control panel, but the next time I start my computer, there it is again. What can I do?

Thank you.

A:Owner

Hi Knotknit,
The tech helpers in these forums will probably want to see a HijackThis log in order to be able to help you. Run a scan and post the saved log in this thread. If you do not have HijackThis program, here's a link where you can download it safely:

http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10379544.html?tag=lst-0-1

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/owner.490946/
Relevancy 73.96%

I can't seem to get the updates for mcafee security suite. I'm running
windows xp and have done everything it says to do. Everything was
working fine until five days ago. When trying to update I get a message
saying I can't connect to the internet. This is wrong. Another message
I get is something about configuring the activex. I did this and still no
luck. I've tried to contact mcafee support but am unsuccessful.
CAN YOU HELP ME?

Relevancy 73.96%

Hi Their People ,
I have a pent 4 with windows xp my computer keeps crashing before it crashes it says.
The 1740 D N TS display driver has stoped working notmanly
Save your work and re boot system to restore fully display functionality ,the computer wont do this but when turned off at power point for several hours it will start up but then crashes as above again I have checked the monitor all ok I also put another vidio card in went ok for a while then crashed again.
What is a pc1 card used for .
This computer has gone through several vidio cards and is only 4 years old
Regards
Angie xxxxx

Sounds like an overheating video card. Make sure that all the computers fans are working.
Check that any cabling is not blocking air flow through the case. Also check that the power supply fan is running.
If the video card does not have fan purchase an add on fan.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/owner.473884/
Relevancy 73.96%

New laptop - had about a month. When I got the computer I created my user account and named the laptop right after starting up.

I just opened Properties for the C: drive, and in Security ->Permissions for Users ->Advanced, the current owner is listed as TrustedInstaller, not me.

Obviously I can change it to match the username/computer name I created for this system, but.... is this odd?

---------------------
Computer: vostro 1500
Processor: C2D T7500 2.20GHz,
Operating System: Vista Home Premium 32bit
Memory: 2G RAM
HD: 160G HD
File System: NTFS
DVD-+RW
Display: WSXGA+ TrueLife
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

A:I'm not owner of OS (C:) ?

No. Normal. Otherwise malware would have access to every part of your system, including Windows, through your account.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/im-not-owner-of-os-c.703577/
Relevancy 73.96%

my laptop starts in safemode...can get it off of safemode

A:owner

As posted by
Mark1956

You will need to give more information and fully describe all the symptoms. Just saying your PC is booting into Safe Mode doesn't tell us much.Click to expand...

what have you tried - system restore
make and model of the PC - laptop / desktop
when did this first happen and what where you doing just before hand

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/owner.1050600/
Relevancy 73.96%

hi,
i just bought a second hand computer with windows xp pro installed. its not updated and asks me to update to sp2. when i try, it won't let me.

what are my options here? i know its pirated because i can't update.
do i buy the full version of xp w/sp2? or can i buy the xp w/sp2 upgrade, because xp is already installed? not sure which way to go....don't really want to buy the full version too much $$. one more question....can you install the full version of xp home version when i already have the pro installed?

thank you for any advice! greatly appreciated......

A:new owner, old xp....

Sorry I have lost the link
If you go to the microsoft web site they have a policy of helping people with pirated stuff. are you sure it is pirated?
If I find the link I will re post

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/new-owner-old-xp-66038.html
Relevancy 73.96%

New owner!!

Well i finally got the Rig i been thinking about!

AMD [email protected]
MSI nForce2 K7N2-Delta
2X256 Kingston [email protected] in dual channal mode
PNY FX-5200 Ultra
XP Home

The thing rocks,,around 8000marks in GLXs
Problem with ethernet,,its really slow,could anyone offer some help?

Thanks all

A:New rig owner!!

i'd put a propper NIC in, ive never been a fan of the onboard ones, for thr sake of the £5 they cost!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-rig-owner.13263/
Relevancy 73.96%

I have a desktop PC running Windows 7, the only user is Owner.  Should I change this?

KCav

A:Why use Owner?

If it is yours then it's only a name, you can change it in control panel. If your not the owner you may want to use the guest as the real owner may not want you to have admin, privileges

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/548698/why-use-owner/
Relevancy 73.96%

how can i fix windows installer,or get it back?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/owner-457735.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Where is the owner tab in properties? I have none.

A:owner tab

Please be a little more precise as to your problem. Which owner tab and what properties have you opened? Perhaps a screenshot will help!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/263225-owner-tab.html
Relevancy 73.96%

when i download a casino site it wont let me play,it says download server not available.it didnt do that before last month

Can you provide a link to this "Downloadable" site?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/owner.1102739/
Relevancy 73.96%

Good grief:

It's one of those easy "stupid" questions I have. I once saw a Tech Republic letter that gave a simple method of changing the Microsoft IE identification bar. I changed mine to read "Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Geoff Michael Group". I'd like to change it back to the default but didn't write the change down and now can't recall how I made the change.

Thanks for any help someone is able to share.

Geoff

Is this what you're looking for?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=176497

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/owner.229255/
Relevancy 73.96%

I have a LAN connected and all sorted out at my house, but i need one thing.

I have the bad habit of leaving Pc's on around the house ( I haven't got all the programs sorted out) and i need something that i can click (Or something similar) to shutdown all the Pc's that are on or single, or disply messages.

I just need something that will give me full control of my LAN. It would be incredibly handy if you could find some Freeware software for this, i would preferably not like to use DOS based programs, as i know how to use them but prefer GUI programs.

Thank you.
Daniel Osborne...

A:LAN Owner needs help...

What I would suggest is to move this thread to the Networking forum here at TSG and let our networking folks have a good go at this problem. If you would just click the little triangle at the top right of the screen and ask a moderator to move this thread to Networking?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lan-owner-needs-help.504722/
Relevancy 73.96%

i am useing windows vista home basics. version 6 service pack 2. when i get an email that opens with notepad the message comes in note pad alright but it is all encripted and unreadable. how can i fix.
thanks

Hi bugs461, and welcome to TSG.

Notepad is not an e-mail program that would normally open an e-mail message. It might be used to open certain types of files that are attached to an e-mail message. Are you trying to open attachments to e-mails? A wrong program association in the the email program may be causing the mail software to use Notepad to open a non-text file.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/owner.1055137/
Relevancy 73.96%

I'm selling a computer and want to remove my name as owner. How do I do It? How do I remove my log in screen and go back to it was before user accounts were set up?

Relevancy 73.96%

People My Win Pro -bit machine has garbled names for accounts users folders and user profiles I have looked into my copy of quot Windows Inside and Out quot by Bott et al but can't dope out what to do I'd like to keep the log-on screen names and conform other names to them In this forum's tutorials I found quot Windows User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name quot but it describes a problem much less messier than mine so user Corrupted profiles and names accounts, users, for folders, I am Corrupted names for accounts, users, folders, and user profiles asking for help Obviously a man who can make such a hash of things needs a problem-specific step-by-step fix Please someone Code EXHIBIT A Log-on screen JackAdmin Jack Rebecca log on Jack gt explorer gt Favorites Desktop Libraries Jack my files listed here Computer Network Control Panel Recycle Bin C Users Guest Jack my files listed here Public Rebecca Control Panel gt All CP Items gt System gt System Properties gt User Profiles gt Profiles stored on this computer Default Profile MB DellT Guest MB Jack GB Rebecca MB CP gt All CP Items gt User Accounts gt Configure advanced user profile properties Dell Jack CP gt All CP Items gt User Accounts gt Manage another account Jack JackAdmin Rebecca Guest Regedit gt ProfileList S- - - - C Users Rebecca - Jack - bak JackAdmin - Guest How on earth did this happen This was a single-user machine until I added some more users so I could have different configurations and until I tried to add WinXP Mode I couldn't get it and the associated VM to install work and so I then tried to uninstall them From then on I was playing with a Tarbaby I've used computers for years I'm now and can find my way around the registry but learn less and less about each succeeding version of Windows Machine details in my profile this forum Jack Handley

A:Corrupted names for accounts, users, folders, and user profiles

Can you post a screenshot of this?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/332026-corrupted-names-accounts-users-folders-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 73.96%

With ATA, it is licensed per user. Is that the number of people in our company? or is that also the number of user accounts that were created to run services. For example, I have an user account in Active Directory that is used by our backup software to
access servers. Do I need to license that user account in ATA?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/07eed05f-8b39-4ad0-829f-227fac0d843f/licensing-people-users-or-also-include-services-that-have-user-accounts?forum=mata
Relevancy 73.1%

I recently purchased an older PC from a friend of mine. My problem is that when I try to open winzip files and several other instances, the machine defaults to the previous owner's information and will not install. I have changed the ownership of the PC in the registry, but when I try to delete all references to the previous user's information, I get a message indicating the former owner (Mary Jo Duncan in this case) is a system file and can't be removed. Is there a way to get rid of ALL the previous owner's information, defaults, etc. without doing a clean install? I finally got my desktop the way I want it and would really hate to start from scratch.

Would it screw things up if I changed her name to mine in EVERY location in the registry?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Relevancy 73.1%

I would appreciate if someone can tell me where to download the Owner's Manual in english for for my trusty HP-42S (serial number {Personal Information Removed}) because some time ago I misplaced the manual. While surfing the Internet I found the page HP Japan where if hung the manual but in Japanese (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=jp&dlc=ja&lc=en&product=81591&) and I guess there will be some link to the manual in English.
Can anyone help me?.
Waiting for your answers,
Thanks in advance.
Adrian

A:HP-42S Owner's Manual

Hi, I am not aware of an english version of the 42s manual available online. An alternative version is available here:http://thomasokken.com/free42/42s.pdf The original manual is available as pdf on CD from the following for a fee:http://www.hpmuseum.org/cd/cddesc.htm By the way are you aware of free42 emulator for PC?http://thomasokken.com/free42/ HTH

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-42S-Owner-s-Manual/td-p/3019617
Relevancy 73.1%

Trying to update to Win per Microsoft offer byr after attempts where all goes well each time for the approx mins download sequence I receive this message and a quot try again quot prompt Is worth the effort members or do I just submit and stay with or save files clean PC and do a complete clean install etc Anyone else had the following --and found a solution Any or all advice would be greatly appreciated before PC goes thro window onto lawn On screenmessage as follows - quot Windows Update Red cross --PC Pc v owner winning X Windows could not be installed Failed update Errors Found - C Windows update encountered an unknown error get help with this error Most recent check for updates today at Updates installed today at View update history You receive updates for Windows and other products from Microsoft update Find Pc v owner --PC winning out more about Free software updates from Microsoft Update Check here for details results for quot WindowsUpdate C quot quot WindowsUpdate dt quot Install Windows updates in Windows Windows Update error or e Windows Update error f Pc v owner --PC winning f or FFFFFFFF Windows Update error b Windows Update error efe or f Windows Update error d Windows Update error D quot

A:Pc v owner --PC winning

Hi, you might well be more successful downloading Win 10 iso (make sure you choose the right one) and using that. You then also can use that subsequently if necessary for an in place upgrade repair install (useful!).

You can find appropriate instructions in the Tutorial section (see above).

Make sure you use disk imaging to image your Win 7 so if anything goes wrong (and it did first time for me) you can restore Win 7 from your image backup.

Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage medium for backup + their boot disk (make sure you create it).

Disk image backups are REALLY useful and allow you to restore your system in a defined time and provide a full backup.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/37744-pc-v-owner-pc-winning.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I want to Detect my Network Settings on Microsoft Windows.

A:Company Owner

cmseb said:

I want to Detect my Network Settings on Microsoft Windows.Click to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/company-owner.263732/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hey, i have a LAN set-up at home and i want to know if their is a program, that can shut-down all computers on that LAN and/or be able to choose which computers to turn off, no matter what their current processes are..... anybody help?

Thankyou.

A:Home LAN Owner needs help

PsShutdown will allow you to remotely shutdown a computer. You can create an icon for each computer, or a batch job to turn them all off.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-lan-owner-needs-help.504790/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hello We have moved our entire company over to vista and we are having some odd issues with the 'owner feild' and author feild We have software that scans each computer and looks for the owner info The problem is Feild Owner all the owner info is now being tagged with quot administrators quot We have all domain users OU added to the Administrators group on the local machine I'm assuming this Owner Feild is where its pulling that info from What I'm trying to do is get the owner name to show as the user who is currently logged in from the domain and not the administrators account As well the 'author' name of the person who works on the file doesn't show up all the time its very random Example we will scan images on a flatbed scanner the first image has author info and the th th and th image all has the the scanners name domain user showing as quot author quot but the rest of them are blank Any suggestions on how to change this or get the author info to show correctly Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/175946-owner-feild.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi. I have a window 7 computer that shows my husband as the owner when I sign into the computer. I would like to be the owner as the computer belongs to me. My husband has no objection as he has his own computer.

Can this easily be done? If yes, can someone let me know how to do this.

Help, as usual, is appreciated.

Thank you.

A:Change Owner

Hello Carole,

You can use the method in the tutorial below to change the registered owner of the PC.

Registered Owner and Organization

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/351716-change-owner.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I can open windows in safe mode bot in normal mode I get no desktop and error message
The message I get is
Documentsand settings\owner\desktop is not accessible
also
cannot run pconfig

Anyone with help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-owner.420716/
Relevancy 73.1%

I ran into this website on another forum i am a member of... Its [link to illegal site removed].... I was wondering if this is a good/useful purchase. Any opinions? Thanks

A:The one DVD every computer owner should own? ... Help!!!

Illegal!!

And probably a scam. Stay clear!!

Scorp.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-one-dvd-every-computer-owner-should-own-help.434400/
Relevancy 73.1%

I booted my pc that only has 1 account and it said something or other about there not being any profiles and windows made a tempory one, so I am using it now and ALL my files have just been gone apart from things that i have installed eg itunes, but things like my songs my word document just everything gone. I had VERY important stuff but have no idea how to get it back

A:Owner profile just gone?!

Hi and welcome to TSF,

This KB may get your profile back corrupt profile. It doesn't address your exact issue, but it should work if the ntuser files are intact

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/owner-profile-just-gone-105375.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hello All,
I had "Microsoft Works Suite" installed on my computer by my former employer and it was registered to that company. I have unistalled all of that software, as I no longer work for them. I have since purchased "Microsoft Office 2000 Pro". The problem is ALL of my new "Microsoft Office 2000 Pro" software has my former employer as the "Registered Owner" by default. When installing this software it ask for my name and I entered it, but when I click to open Excell, Word, Outlook, ect... it says my former company is the registered owner on the initial start-up screen. HOW DO I CHANGE THIS TO ME, AS THE REGISTERED OWNER?
Thanks!

A:Registered Owner

Changeable BS, walkeriam.

Open Word. Go to Tools-Options, User Info tab....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/registered-owner.81422/
Relevancy 73.1%

When i press F2 at bootup and enter system setup and go down to maintenance, owner's tag is no
longer listed. how to replace it.

A:owner's tag is missing

System manufacturer?

Does Setup reflect the correct time/date, etc.?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/490452/owners-tag-is-missing/
Relevancy 73.1%

hey guys do you put your real name or ur nickname on the registered user of the windows, u noe when u click on computer, press alt, then help, then about windows....

A:registered owner

Its your choice, I put the same name that I have here. That nickname has a meaning to me..

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/268363-registered-owner.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Please bare with me I'm not too bright when it comes to fixing this computer Here's my story I got infected this week with the quot antivirus pro quot trojan and after reading here I managed to get that fixed or did I Now I have a problem when Please or help my for leaving is owner better a dog me I try and do a google Please help me or my dog is leaving for a better owner or any search engine search I did find quot awareremover quot and did manage to get those deleted but Please help me or my dog is leaving for a better owner I don't think I went far enough and still can't search I should also say that when I do get redirected the url in question then shows up down in my task manager I think I've downloaded every software program out there to try and fix this and my computer is running better than it has in months but this problem is driving me crazy and my dog is feeling neglected because I can't stop fiddling with this machine Here's my hijack this log and I see that quot local host quot thingy and another BHO with no file name Is that problem and should I just try and delete them And what the heck is that yahoo thingy doing in there Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS System wltrysvc exeC WINDOWS System bcmwltry exeC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWService exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop sched exeC Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop avguard exeC Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exeC Program Files Dell NICCONFIGSVC NICCONFIGSVC exeC Program Files Sunbelt Software CounterSpy SBAMSvc exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Sunbelt Software CounterSpy SBAMTray exeC WINDOWS system wscntfy exeC Program Files Apoint Apoint exeC WINDOWS system hkcmd exeC Program Files Dell Media Experience PCMService exeC WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exeC Program Files Apoint Apntex exeC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exeC Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop avgnt exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exeC Program Files IObit Advanced SystemCare AWC exeC Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exeC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWTray exeC Program Files internet explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www cnn com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http www dell me com mywayO - Hosts localhostO - BHO no name - A F D B- - FF -B - CCE E - no file O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dllO - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - HKLM Run Apoint C Program Files Apoint Apoint exeO - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exeO - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exeO - HKLM Run PCMService quot C Program Files Dell Media Experience PCMService exe quot O - HKLM Run dla C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exeO - HKLM Run ISUSScheduler quot C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe quot -startO - HKLM Run BuildBU c dell bldbubg exeO - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run ZoneAlarm Client quot C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe quot O - HKLM Run SBAMTray C Program Files Sunbelt Softwa... Read more

A:Please help me or my dog is leaving for a better owner

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. Please include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.Even if you have already provided information about your PC, we need a new log to see what has changed since you originally posted your problem.Please download OTL from following mirror:This is THE MirrorSave it to your desktop.Double click on the icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.Push the button.Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:OTL.txt <-- Will be openedExtra.txt <-- Will be minimizedIn the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Options. If you click on this in the drop-down menu you can choose Track this topic. I suggest you do this and select Immediate E-Mail notification and click on Proceed. This way you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.After 5 days if a topic is not replied to we assume it has been abandoned and it is closed.regards _temp_

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/271660/please-help-me-or-my-dog-is-leaving-for-a-better-owner/
Relevancy 73.1%

guestimation that a virus has taken over my laptop and all it does is give me the following: Boot Device Not FoundPlease Install an operating system on your hard disk. Hard Disk 3F0F2 System Diagnostics For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup I cant perform the F2 systems diagnostic, nor am i able to load any disk with my external drive. what am i to do at this point?

A:Never help when you need it....frustrated new HP owner

Don't think it is a virus. Looks like hardware failure. Hard drive. You need to open a support case to get warranty help. Posting here does not do that. We are fellow end users, not HP Support. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Never-help-when-you-need-it-frustrated-new-HP-owner/td-p/5620817
Relevancy 73.1%

Yes, embarassingly so, I have issues with changng all of my file path names. When I purchased my computer new the business had already installed the OS, etc. So whenever I save ANY document, the crazy file name includes "HP_Owner" to my dismay. I have already tried to do a regedit, yet file names still have the dreaded HP Owner scar. Here's a lovely example: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\My Documents\article.rtf. See?! Quite maddening to me. So how would I change that so my name appears as author and document owner?

A:Xp Hp Owner Issue

Hiya,

My first thought is that if you right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop, scroll to properties and see who the computer is registered to. Does it by any chance say Registered to HP_Owner ?

Regards,

Tony.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/111844/xp-hp-owner-issue/