Windows Support Forum

Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group

Q: Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group

Hi We upgraded our desktops from Windows XP to Windows Admin Local Admin Group Rights local without Assign with Windows XP we used the resource kit s CDROMLOCK EXE to lock down CD and DVD Once installed a user had to be in the local administrators group to access a CD or DVD on that desktop For Windows it is not Windows compatible so I run the EXE in Vista SP- Compatibility mode which works perfect My question With a user in the local admin group they have access to the CD and DVD but also have full access to the desktop which is of concern Does anyone know how to assign a user name Either local Desktop or a Server domain account to a Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group service or Exe Is there a way to either create a folder with full rights and then put the exe in the folder giving the user full admin rights to the folder or assign full admin rights to s single EXE file I am just not sure how Windows controls local admin rights other than the local Admin Group If Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group this is in the wrong group please move Thanks B nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group

You should be able to right-click on the exe file, then choose properties. On the "Compatibility" tab, there should be a checkbox for "Run as administrator", which you can check (enable) and save settings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/assign-local-admin-rights-without-local-admin-group.1123053/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi,

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

Thanks

A:Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-set-up-local-and-remote-user-with-server-2012.206403/
Relevancy 50.74%

Printer Problems in Windows XP sp3
Dell Personal Printer all in one A940
After trying to speed up an older computer running Windows XP
I may have cut off the Print Spooler (or it was already off ?)
I went back to Services dialog box & selected Print Spooler
I clicked the "Start" link at left of service list & got a message tgat said
"could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start."
Printer is still not working can anyone help?

A:Could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068

On Win/7 the dependencies are

HTTP

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
DCOM Server Process Launcher
RPC Endpoint Mapper
Manually start each on and set to AUTOSTART as you go.
If one fails, then that is the root problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/could-not-start-print-spooler-service-on-local-computer-error-1068.206839/
Relevancy 53.75%

So I realize that this is my computer telling me that it is not getting a connection to the internet So here is a basic diagram of my setup ISP---- gt Cable Modem----- gt New Splitter---------- gt Asus wifi router working --------- gt Desktop IP also connected to wifi My ISP is Charter Com via a Cable Modem From there I go into a TRENDnet ethernet switch splitter From there I have cable that goes to my desktop one cable to goes Area Local Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx to the upper floor to the wifi router Asus RT-N U The router is working fine and I am currently connected to it I have replaced the TRENDnet Switch every ethernet cable except to Asus wifi router This is where it gets stupid I can disconnect the TRENDnet switch and plug in my Desktop with the IP and it works I have researched this topic via forums for the past month and a half and now after fresh installing windows would like to try and get some input of what other might think is going on I am out of options I Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx had this setup for quite some time with wired and wifi Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx but just all of a sudden about - months ago after moving my desk and plugging it all in again it stopped working Here is a text format of Ipconfig of my LAC Configuration for interface quot Local Area Connection quot DHCP enabled Yes IP Address xxx xxx Subnet Prefix xx mask InterfaceMetric DNS servers configured through DHCP None Register with which suffix Primary only WINS servers configured through DHCP None As I said I am now running a fresh install of windows with no Bonjour program on it I have released renewed and about other CMD commands that I could think of The internet options for this adapter are set to obtain automatically I have ran about every malware program I can think of So any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx

Hmm why the splitter BEFORE the router - - that's not the correct way to add a second router

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
to add a second router:

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
|
+--- new router

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-169-254-xxx-xxx.203909/
Relevancy 52.46%

Have a new Netgear wireless router and can connect to it, but can only get local access only, no internet.
Tried a few things with no luck so far.
The one thing that did work was eliminating the wireless security, but dont want to leave it that way.
Seems like this is a common problem with Vista.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

A:Local Access Only With Wireless Using Windows Vista

Go to the Device Mgr, expand Network Adapters and look for yellow or red flags. It's most likely that the driver is missing or needs to be updated.

If there's any driver at all, then the led lights near the ethernet cable will be on.

Uninstall the existing driver (but do not delete it) and reboot.
The system should find the device and use the autoconfig feature to install the
correct one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-access-only-with-wireless-using-windows-vista.194148/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi Friends ... I have this laptop that has been given to me by my company and the USB ports have been blocked in manner such that I can copy stuff from my USB drive on to the machine but cannot copy in the reverse direction, ie. from the hard drive to the USB. Obviously it is to safeguard against theft of data. However, I do not deal with any confidential data and like to back up things every few days. Please tell me a shortcut to unlock my USB entirely even though I do not have administrator rights on the machine.

A:How to unlock USB ports without admin password?

Sorry, we will not assist in circumventing such security features, especially when the machine belongs to someone else.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-unlock-usb-ports-without-admin-password.193100/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi there I am new to this forum though I have went through a couple of threads regarding VPN but I can t seem to find my answer through printing VPN Local I work in an IT department and have to users which are not on the business domain To make use of a program hosted on our server they connect via VPN to out network and then join a remote desktop Both of them make use of a network printer Now one of them has a PC with Win and the other one with XP When they connect to the VPN though only the user on the Win PC is allowed to print the other user Local printing through VPN s job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints Both user Local printing through VPN s VPN permissions are the same as I asked the network admin and the printer settings should be the same on both PCs as I checked them Help would be greatly appreciated as I have been working on this for a very long time with no avail Thanks nbsp

A:Local printing through VPN

the other user's job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints.Click to expand...

Wow, is that strange or what (but that's why your here too I guess). The fact that it is queued says the data path from the user->system->print queue is just fine - - and that says permissions are ok. I suspect that the users program is not closing the output file. Have the user try a simple test using NOTEPAD printing to the remote printer.

Next I would look for software updates to the XP VPN software and then to XP print driver for that device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-printing-through-vpn.189640/
Relevancy 29.67%

There was a TV commercial I saw recently where a man used a phone to take a group picture. The phone took a number of pictures in rapid succession and displayed all the different faces for each person in the group. The user was able to pick the best pose for each person and paste it into the group picture.
I was wondering if anyone knew the brand and model of the phone...also is there any software that would perform the same function on a windows computer?

A:Cut and paste faces on group photos

I cannot help in, for the device ur looking for but for the software, I can be of some help.
The software ur looking for is precisely, "adobe photoshop". With it, u can edit almost upto the minutest details of a photograph. Be it group photos of individual ones. You can download it from the link: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event...
or www.adobe.com/go/tryphotoshop/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cut-and-paste-faces-on-group-photos.188310/
Relevancy 52.46%

My iOmega TB External hard drive stopped working after it was accidentally unplugged I googled the problem amp found the exact thread here for my problem When plugged in instead of being identified by it s name as before it s listed as Local disc F First I tried disabling write caching to no avail so I followed HDD disk shows as it local & F cannot be accessed External the instructions I found here to External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed the same problem started by fish in Aug Mark replied several times giving good instructions which I have followed but my problem isn t solved I downloaded Sea Tools for Windows amp ran both Short amp Long tests which both failed The hard drive when dismantled is a Seagate Barracuda TB amp my PC is Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pk The HDD has much loved photo s of my kids amp tons of video amp music too is there any way to retrieve it now or is it a hopeless case Any help would be very much appreciated I think maybe if possible to get any data now I would have to take it to proffessionals but don t want to get ripped off if the drive is totally broken Thanx so much if u can help all nbsp

A:External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed

You could try going into disk management and deleting F: drive, while the External HDD is unplugged, then try reconnecting - OS might have just assigned the drive incorrectly?
Also strongly recommend updating to SP2 if possible (probably not connected to this issue though).
Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-shows-as-local-disk-f-it-cannot-be-accessed.186348/
Relevancy 54.18%

So I just set up FreeNAS on my LAN. I have a Linksys router.... I believe everything is 10/100 but for some reason its transfering at about 8.61MB/s.

Now before I start posting all my equipment specs, would anyone know right off the bat what my bottleneck is, or give me a clue how to figure this out? I'm apparently not thinking properly enough to figure this out at the moment.

BTW, everything plugged in... so I'm not transfering wirelessly.

A:What's my local NAS bottleneck?

You're transferring at almost 70 mbit - your network is probably your bottleneck. Are you sure there is no additional activity on your network? You should be able to reach between 80-90 if nothing else is going on and the rest of the environment is lean. If everything is working absolutely great I would say you can even reach mid to upper 90's. See if the system sending files has plenty of CPU cycles available by opening your task manager. Also, are you transferring lots of small files or one big file? Larger files will transfer faster than a bunch of tiny ones. At most you can expect a file transfer speed of about 12 MB/sec on a 100 mbit network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whats-my-local-nas-bottleneck.180760/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hi guys I have a problem whereby an external hard drive won t assign a drive letter automatically I have used Disk Management many times to drive drive assign -- hard automatically External assign it manually but when I disconnect amp reconnect the drive I have to go through it all again in order to read External hard drive -- assign drive automatically the disk i e it doesn t automatically assign a drive when reconnected Does anyone know what I can do to restore the quot plug amp play quot nature of my drive It is a Samsung Story TB USB version Maybe not important but the reason this problem started was because one of my friends took photos videos at my wedding and he has a Mac so I formatted the drive External hard drive -- assign drive automatically with Mac Drive to copy all the stuff across When I got it home and had copied everything I re-formatted the partition as NTFS Viewing it in Disk Management the only partition on the disk is the NTFS volume and there doesn t appear to be any errors Thanks Tys nbsp

A:External hard drive -- assign drive automatically

See if this might help How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-assign-drive-automatically.179460/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey I ve got a Dual Xeon Dell Precision T Workstation running Windows x that I use for graphic design and some music production I have up until last week used a M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio Interface for recording as well as my primary sound card I decided to get rid of the Fast Track and upgrade to an M-Audio Audiophile PCI sound card Here is my issue- With the Fast Track USB Interface I have always network local when performing only PC downloads Static in sound, had a noticeable Static in PC sound, only when performing local network downloads static popping sound when any audio is playing while I am transferring files on my local network- but I have isolated it specifically to copying files from anywhere on my local network to this PC- so only downloading to this computer I didn t pay much attention to it as I thought that was the price that was to be payed because of using a USB sound card After I installed the Audiophile I am still getting this popping sound on network downloads Just to test I pulled out the Audiophile enabled the on-board sound card and the popping was still there with the on-board sound card Any idea what could be causing this My network adapter is the Broadcom on-board Gigabit LAN card The only other PCI or PCI-e cards I have installed are the Nvidia Quadro Video Adapter and a SIIG USB PCI Card I have taken this out and the popping is still there All of PCI bus components were different when I started hearing the popping from the Fast Track Pro so I don t suspect that any of those items would be the culprit When the popping first started nothing was even in the PCI PCI-e bus except for my old Quadro video card which I took out months ago and swapped for the Quadro I guess what I m trying to say is that most of the components have been removed or swapped and the sound continues I have the onboard sound card disabled normally so I know that also isn t causing it To describe the popping static it doesn t make the noise until I m downloading something and there is a system noise playing or I have some other audio going YouTube Video MP played locally whatever So if I was to download a file locally and not play any sounds then you would never know that anything was happening The speakers I m using are KRK Rokit Active Studio Monitors so even if there was any background static I would hear it These monitors are connected to the computer via a Balanced TRS input so I don t even have any normal line quot hum quot at high volumes- so that is how I can tell there is absolutely no static or popping until the PC plays it s own audio Also- I ve tried reproducing the problem by playing audio and downloading a file from the internet It won t produce the popping sound at all Here is my system info Dell Precision T Workstation Windows x Ultimate Service Pack Intel Xeon CPU E GHz amp GHz Processors Intel x Motherboard Intel ICH R Family Controllers I O Hub PCI Express Root Storage GB RAM Nvidia Quadro M-Audio Delta Audiophile Broadcom NetXtreme xx Gigabit Controller That s everything I have hooked up right now- anymore questions and I ll be glad to post what I know I m hoping that this is something common that I just couldn t find in my searches on google Any help advice you could offer I would appreciate it One last thing- I uninstalled and updated all of my system drivers days ago to see if that would stop the problem It didn t change anything Thanks -Ben nbsp

A:Static in PC sound, only when performing local network downloads

Did you uninstall your old sound drivers? Are you using ASIO drivers? Im assuming the M-Audio card already has ASIO built-in? Do you get the pop/static when using the onboard sound? You should stick to XP for music production. Even a dual boot WIN 7/XP setup. Im into music production as well and all of my problems stopped when I ran everything on XP. You can try using virtual XP on Win 7 and see if it helps anything. What DAW are you using?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/static-in-pc-sound-only-when-performing-local-network-downloads.175964/
Relevancy 53.75%

I just upgraded to Win7. In this PC I have 2 HDD, one C drive which works fin, and one additional HDD which I'm able to see in BIOS and Device Manager, but it do not show up in Explorer.
How to get it visible?
Thanks

A:Can't find local installed HDD

Right click my computer > manage, click disk management take a screenshot, post here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-find-local-installed-hdd.176151/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey guys My internet provider has just recently been switched to Time Warner Cable They came by and hooked everything up to my desktop and my internet worked for that day The next day I had to call technical support and road runner services because my computer says I m connected but I m not sending nor receiving area Missing network connection and local controller any packets Road Runner took me through Device Manager where I noticed a big yellow question mark near Other Devices Network Controller Also after going through my Network Connections there s no Local Area Connection listed The techs responded that they couldn t help me unless I fixed my computer software I have already tried going through Computer Management and checking Plug And Play Services amp RPC Missing network controller and local area connection Services Any other suggestions are much appreciated I m currently working off of my laptop because I can t get online with my desktop Any requested information would just Missing network controller and local area connection be done by my usb flash Missing network controller and local area connection drive Thank you so much for your time nbsp

A:Missing network controller and local area connection

Open device manager. Uninstall those device with ? on them. Reinstall drivers for your network adapter.

What devices are listed under network adapter?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-network-controller-and-local-area-connection.174762/
Relevancy 67.94%

I once ran across a simple UI item that allowed me to change LOCAL CONNECTION 2 to LOCAL CONNECTION.

RESOLVED. Open Network and Sharing Center. Click on the icon for the active connection. Change THAT name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-local-net-2-to-local-net.172565/
Relevancy 53.75%

In our network we have many remote sites. We are currently all WinXP Pro but are starting to transition to Windows 7 (64-bit) when we cycle PCs out.

We have been using RealVNC for years instead of RDP because RealVNC allows shared control of the PC between you and the local user (ie: "Show me what you are talking about"). I've tried Tight (which leaves lots remnants after uninstalling), Real (simply does not work unless you buy the Enterprise version, for ~800 computers that just isn't going to work) and Ultra (works, but randomly resets its options and closes down once you log out of a profile).

Is there a way to allow shared control during RDP? If not, is there another VNC-ish program I can try (freeware) that's as reliable as RealVNC has been under XP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/allow-local-user-control-in-rdp.171996/
Relevancy 50.31%

Alright I have a whole bunch of my music and videos on my external hard drive and I got a new Dell XPS yesterday I had been using my external hard drive just fine for the past - yeas now with different laptops working fine I plugged it yesterday to transfer all my music to my new computer and it seemed to be working fine There was an error as the copy rate External Local -- won't open Disk as only working, shows drive hard stopped up slowwed so I decided to delete and try again I did that about times and then decided to just copy the music album by album Eventually I don External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open t know how it ended up happening instead of the Hard Drive coming up as Seagate on the My Computer Tab it started showing up as Local Disk J on my Dell and Local Disk E on my laptop now It doesn t matter where I plug it in Not only that it won t open when I try to open it It will get loaded and then just pause and stop responding I m completely lost My hard drive is Seagate GB nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Hi, first I would run the Seagate diagnostics to check the hard drive is still healthy following this guide.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

If you have a Toshiba hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.Click to expand...

It sounds likely that the circuitry in the drive enclosure is failing (or the drive), if the test won't run then remove the drive from the enclosure and purchase a USB Hard Drive adapter, or use the internal connections in a desktop PC to connect the drive. This should allow you to run the test and/or extract all the files.

If the test runs ok with the drive connected to another PC internally, or with a USB adapter then you will know for sure that it is the enclosure that has failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-working-only-shows-up-as-local-disk-wont-open.169973/
Relevancy 51.17%

I'm missing the "local area connection" for a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop. Hence, I cannot seem to connect to the net.

Anybody got any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

A:Local area connection missing, Dell Inspiron 1300

Is your wireless working? Go under your BIOS and see if the WiFi is enabled or functioning. Download any BIOS updates, WiFi drivers update an etc.. If all is done and you still have the issue. Buy USB WiFi NIC Dongle and test that and see if you can get LAN or WAN connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-missing-dell-inspiron-1300.168709/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi fellow service unknown status start failed or the Connection to dependency group computer junkies I can see a multitude of difficulties have been overcome by your group effort I hope you ve got another fix up your sleeves My laptop is years old HP COMPAQ C Notebook PC Vista Home Premium purchased with Intel Pentium Dual CPU T Ghz GB RAM bit OS My internet connection is normally T-Mobile USB Internet card Also connect WiFi with built in card Local Disk C NTFS GB Free GB Presario RP Disk D GB Free GB Pc tools spyware doctor w Antivirus Malwarebytes The first indication of a problem began with announcement that new Connection status unknown the dependency service or group failed to start hardware had been found Knowing that I had installed nothing I blocked the new hardware attempt to connect Next day I found I could not reach the internet using T-mobile Among other things Windows Defender and Firewall were not operating I got a message quot Failed to connect to a windows service Windows could not connect to System Event Connection status unknown the dependency service or group failed to start Notification Service This problem prevents limited users from logon on to the system As an administrator user you can review the system Event Log for details about why the service didn t respond quot Of course upon investigating I found I could not open Event Notification log Normally at a time like this I would reach for System Restore But I was informed no restore points were available With help from Brother-in-law Larry and using desktop with the T-mobile connection I was able to get online to find the fix to the problem I started in Safe Mode Clicked start search cmd right click ran as administrator typed quot netsh winsock reset quot enter and restarted Also ran sfc scannow That got rid of that problem Was then able to see Event Notification log But now new error quot Connection status unknown The dependency group failed to start quot I right clicked on that message got option to Diagnose and Repair Got message Network Diagnostics cannot run because Diagnostics Policy service is not running Clicked to open Service Control Manager SCM is in Management Console This opened Local Services which shows full pages of application descriptions status startup type and log on as I found Diagnostic Policy Service Properties set to startup automatic but service status is stopped I clicked start result was Error Access is denied Many other items are in same state When start attempted on some other applications Error was received also Some applications gave Error quot The dependency service or group failed to start I don t know if this is important but After being allowed to view Event Notification Log I looked at Security log which had as earliest date that was days ago Today the earliest date is I noticed several entries throughout from oldest to newest dates the entries were quot Special Logon quot with Special Privileges assigned to new logon On the oldest one it seemed to be given privileges which included among others I can t remember assign Primary token privilege Security Privilege Audit Privilege take ownership privilege TCB privilege load driver privilege backup privilege restore privilege debug privilege system environment privilege and Impersonate Privilege That s it for now bout all I know Send help please Bill Ellison nbsp

A:Connection status unknown the dependency service or group failed to start

Shot in the Dark

Have you tried running MalwareBytes in safe mode? Do you have an antivirus on your computer? Sometimes Virus' know MBAM so you may want to change the name of the program before you run it.

My Computer Lady

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connection-status-unknown-the-dependency-service-or-group-failed-to-start.164058/
Relevancy 42.14%

Here is what I get when I type ipconfig all Host Name Tanya Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List gateway wire net Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description Realtek on Local connection Windows wireless says internet internet My Vista Only connection RTL B Wireless b g Mbp s USB Network Adapter Physical Address - -D -A -FF- A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a ed a d Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address - E- -CE-BB-D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap C E B - EA - D - F B- F B F br DA Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description isatap gateway wire net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.255.53.64(Preferred)Click to expand...

this occures when there is no response to the DHCP request.

First, disable the WiFi, cable a connection to the router and retry; what's the result?

While connected to the router, config it for the:
router address and DHCP range
wifi SSID, Channel
set a new admin password and save the settings.

Disable the wired interface, enable the WiFi and retry the WiFi connection

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-internet-connection-says-local-only-on-windows-vista-wireless-internet-connection.161510/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi guys, i have recently received a message telling me that a network cable is unplugged. Usually i have this problem with local area connection 2, but it always resolves itself while this one does not. I have tried unplugging my dlink and plugging it back in. please give me any suggestions! Sorry if this sounds dumb to you, much appreciated!

A:Local Area Connection [A network cable is unplugged]

Are using a laptop or desktop, if your on a laptop will say that because your not plugged in the LAN on your laptop which you do not need if it is wireless, but if it is your desktop and you are connect to your router it could be that the NIC card is at fault go into device manager to see if there is any problems with NIC card.

1.Also check your network cables make sure they are in secure.

2. Make sure your network adapter is up to date and working.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-a-network-cable-is-unplugged.159744/
Relevancy 53.75%

Let me tell you a bit about my set-up. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and my internet connection is via a Bt homehub.
My problem is every time I start up my PC I don't have internet connection.
The only way to get it is to go to local area connection and disable it, then go back in and enable it and then I have internet access.
I have taken screen shoots of whats happening.
Not sure if the file has uploaded so sorry if you don't see it. New to this site so having to get used to it.

Alan

Can any one see the word file I attached as I can't.

Alan

A:Local Area Connection

Assuming that's a wired and not wifi connection.

Before you boot, disconnect from the BT and let the system present the desktop, then
connection to the BT, wait 30sec and you should have a connection.

Your Firewall should be left active

Like to see the View Connections, but copy the text from this and past into your follow-up:
start->Run->enter IPCONFIG /ALL

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection.156433/
Relevancy 29.67%

Ok i searched the entire forums and didnt see anything at all related to Windows HomeGroups which is quite shocking Anyways My main pc is window ultimate Bit My laptop is windows home Premium Bit Both pc and laptop are in a home network The main pc has created the Home group Main windows firewall turned off also set to configure and work around AVG Firewall A trouble shoot option that didnt Group problem Home 7 Windows work Main Laptop windows firewall turned off also set to configure and work around AVG Firewall A trouble shoot Windows 7 Home Group problem option that didnt work When i go to home group in controle Windows 7 Home Group problem panel i only see quot Creat Home Group quot It tells me there isnt a home group on the network but there is Were using one modem router and its wireless On the laptop i turned the local ethernet connection off Disabled it since it s not in use and it was suggested to turn it off Both are set to automaticly configer ip address How do i joine my laptop to the homegroup Iv looked everyware and nothing seems to help nbsp

A:Windows 7 Home Group problem

Ok, im a little confused why this topic was moved but ok.

Has anyone got any solutions to my problem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-home-group-problem.153506/
Relevancy 39.56%

Running XP on 2 computers. Have them connected by a router. I set the router IP to 192.168.3.1 Everything connects great! When I connect to a wireless network, it all connects, but doesn't work ("connection timed out" or "Page not found" errors. The wire connection shows an IP of 192.168.2.1. If I disable my Local Area Network, the internet connects perfectly. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I CAN USE MY LOCAL AREA NETWORK AND THE WIRELESS CONNECTION AT THE SAME TIME! Frustrating to the max! Any network specialists out there who can tell me how to fix this? Thanks!!!

A:Conflict between "Wireless Network Connection" & "Local Area Connection"

berkeleygh said:

Running XP on 2 computers. Have them connected by a router. I set the router IP to 192.168.3.1 Everything connects great! When I connect to a wireless network, it all connects, but doesn't work ("connection timed out" or "Page not found" errors. The wire connection shows an IP of 192.168.2.1.Click to expand...

You should know that x.x.2.1 is incorrect. For the router address shown, all devices that connect to it *must* be 192.168.3.x where x > 1 and < 255.

I would suspect that you have some static configuration data in the devices.

You want your router to offer DHCP in the range 2->32 (that's more than enough) and
you want all systems to use DHCP for the IP address and DNS settings.

Remove anything in the Alternative Configurations

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/conflict-between-wireless-network-connection-local-area-connection.154215/
Relevancy 52.89%

hey

the last 5-6 days the network connection sometimes doesn't connecting to Internet.
usually appears after power the pc on. and happened while been connected.

Network- and sharing center
computer ------------ local network --------X------ Internet

sometimes it helps just pull out the cable then plug it in, other is, turn off and on the router, or deactivate and activate the network card.

also tried update driver, but that seemed to mess it more up so i went to device-manager and unistalled the driver, install it again from the cd to the mobo.

the other pc in the house is a laptop using the wireless with no problems.

my sys specs on button +
network card
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, driver version. 7.5.730.2009

router
Inteno X5668b

thanks

A:Unstable local network connection

Do you have the latest driver from Realtek TW. Also note sometimes these adapters go DUFF! Are the lights on the back of the card lite or flashing?

Go into safe mode and remove the driver. Even shutdown the system and pull out the card. If it's onboard NIC, then disable it and get a PCI or PCI-E if you have the shorter PCI-E slot. They can go bad. Since you have ruled out your router isn't the issue and you can use yoru wireless laptop. Then the NIC is the issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unstable-local-network-connection.152991/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi all,

The first computer I connect to the wireless works fine, but I have had to self-assign IP addresses for other computers/devices using the 10.0.1.x spectrum. I originally thought it was a problem with my airport express. However, my roommate recently tried to plug directly to the modem and his computer did not get an IP address (he changed his settings to allow for an automatic assignment). Is this something I can fix on my own or do I have to call the ISP and maybe get the modem replaced? Or is it easy enough they can diagnose over the phone? Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A:Modem and airport express won't automatically assign IP addresses

FIRST, make sure your firewall allows port 67 & 68 access both ways.

What system is this? and are you running the Windows FW or some 3rd party?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/modem-and-airport-express-wont-automatically-assign-ip-addresses.150737/
Relevancy 46.01%

I have my internet connection saying it is connected but whenever I go onto firefox it tells me it couldnt connect.

ipconfig tells me it encountered an error, repairing connection tells me it can't get into tcp/ip settings. I have tried resetting winsock.

I'm currently not at my computer and I'm being forced to rush, so if you need more specific error messages just tell me and I will post with my phone.

A:Local Area Connection "Connected", no net

Post ipconfig /all
You may be connected to your LAN, but not the internet.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-connected-no-net.149476/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have an hp mini 1000 netbook with the admin passwords in the bios and win xp. It was my cousins who is no longer with us, so my aunt gave it to me. Noone knows the passwords. How can I bypass them or override them? I can get in as a guest but it is too limited. What are my best options?

A:HP Mini admin password unknown

You need to talk to HP, after changing the registered ownership, and may need a document about the fate of the previous owner. You may have to send it to a certified HP service center with a formal notice of change of ownership included.
As for TechSpot, there is a policy to not provide assistance with passwords.
What you want to do is usually very difficult in the best of circumstances.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-mini-admin-password-unknown.148971/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have Vodafone Prepay Broadband so I do not have to plug in any cables. However, recently my internet will not connect properly. The Vodem connects properly but I do not get fully connected as the two pcs with a globe do not appear on my toolbar and no pages will load. When I "Diagnose and Repair" is when I get the message telling me that Local Area Connection 2 is unplugged. I do not understand this as I should not have to plug in anything but the Vodem.

A:Local area connection 2 unplugged

is it the vodem stick that plugs into the usb port? and please mention your operating system

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-2-unplugged.147533/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi guys,

noob here hope someone can help me..

i physically took out my hard drive from my desktop computer and connected it to a HDD dock to transfer data to my laptop.

when i put the hard drive back inside my desktop computer, C:\ and D:\ appears as a folder instead and cannot open when i double click. i have to right click and click open for it to work.

so i did a format on D:\ because there's no data in it originally and now it's back to the original D:\ hard disk icon and works fine when i double click it. but i have alot of valuable info in C:\ that's too large to transfer anywhere else to format.

does anyone know a way to restore the C:\ icon back to the original hard drive icon and double click works without wiping out the data?

A:Local disk drive C:\ appearing as a folder!

read this post there may

read this post there may be some similar problems / fixes for you.....don't forget to use the Micro soft USB disconnect tool before unplugging any devices
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic60377.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-disk-drive-c-appearing-as-a-folder.143381/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi, I have a fujitsu laptop,,,,which I used to use which my modern via local arena connection,,,but 1 day my friend did something to it and now when I connect the jak the pc does not connect?????now I can't see local area network on my network places,,What happens how can I get it back to work. Br gsmnikki

A:Local area connection help

If you can't see the LAN connection listed under Network Connections, your friend probably uninstalled the driver.

1) Open Device Manager. Do you see the network adapter? Rt click and uninstall
2) Now go to the support site for your computer (e.g. Dell, HP, ASUS, etc) download the network driver and reinstall it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-help.139474/
Relevancy 46.44%

I have a Dell Latitude D630. It has an admin password for the bios. Nothing is locked except for the settings. I can't change any of the settings in the bios. It lets me boot to windows just fine though. My question is, since I don't know that admin password for the bios, if I upgrade the bios firmware, will the admin password be deleted? Since I'm flashing the bios, I would think that all the settings will be lost. Is that the case?

A:Will upgrading the bios firmware on a Latitude D630 delete the bios admin password?

What?

Didn't you reply here, and say it worked (after the unusual 9th try ) http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic109612-109.html#post747024

Awfully strange!

A bios update can't remove passwords. As You Must Know

Oh and thanks for the extended long Title. I'm thinking this Topic of yours would be best removed? What do you think?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-upgrading-the-bios-firmware-on-a-latitude-d630-delete-the-bios-admin-password.138281/
Relevancy 54.18%

Please help on local networking on local area lan networking
with picture please help me thanks

A:Please help on local networking

What operating systems are running on the computers you are trying to connect?

And, on each computer, are you running Windows firewall or do you have another firewall product installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-on-local-networking.136229/
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm plugged into my router (Linksys wrt54g v8) and my connection still says "Limited or no connectivity". I'm running win xp 64 bit sp2. I tried uninstalling my ethernet connection. I've tried winsock xp and it didn't work, I've tried cmd netsh winsock reset. I've tried to repair the connection and it says "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address" and I've also tried resetting the modem and router. Can anyone help me?

A:Local Area Connection Issues

Was your internet working previous to this problem? If it was, have you changed any settings? Theres a way you can set a static IP, and that would stop your IP from renewing. Also, are there any other computers working on the network?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-issues.134305/
Relevancy 52.03%

greetings from South Africa,
I am very new to forums and do not know the correct protocol.
So be gentle with me?
I have a KM4AM Motherboard and the drivers etc.
I bought and installed two LG super multi DVD drives.
When connecting it up I noticed that there was a cable connected to the old secondart CD dive and appeared to go to the motherboard??
I do not know if I unplugged it - however I get the title of my thread when I boot up.
It says 'new found hardware' - Parrallel device'

Any suggestions please

A:Local area connection. A network cable is unplugged

The "Parallel" device is the port driver for your LG DVD drives. You have 2 parallel ports on the motherboard. The blue port is for IDE hard drives. The white port is for your IDE (parallel) DVD drives. How are you connecting to the Internet? The "Local area connection. A network cable is unplugged" message indicates that there is no network cable connected to the motherboards network port. Your Cable or DSL modem attaches to this port

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-a-network-cable-is-unplugged.134325/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi, everyone
I have an serious problem, ive buy an hp 6730B on ebay but when i want to upgrade the bios, my computer wants an administrator password for the flash.
The seller told me he have maybe do an error of typing, beacause his password don't work.
this computer is an compaq 6730B
S/n : CNU8466GNS
P/n : GB987ET#ABF
Service tag : C6730bUP8400W5X16GIBNNF20Qa

Thank you

A:HP 6730B bios admin password problem

hi,
I asked for the same problem in this forum but my threat was deleted with the suggestion to read the Forum FAQs.
I read them but I didn't find why they did it. So I want repeat the question adding it to the yours one:

HP CompaQ nx9005
hash code [ 15656]
I need the system password

I wrote and I just wrote again at the hp forum about it whitout any help, and the hp chat doesn't start because of a bag (I'm not the only one having this problem).

I read all messages of the reference topic about the same problem (as suggested) but I didn't find my needs.
I think I will have to ask about it a lot of time. Hope to find someone who can help me.
thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-6730b-bios-admin-password-problem.132944/
Relevancy 30.1%

I have a fibre optic DSL connection and several computers on a home network My wife is not interested in learning how not to avoid malware and principally uses an WXP Home computer but she also does banking on her Apple Mac Mini I would like of Isolating group computers one to isolate the Mac Mini and my linux computer from the wired wifi network that we now use BTW we are out in the countryside and the WiFi is unlikely to be problematic I was thinking about putting a D-Link DI- router behind one of the wired ports on the existing Zyxel P W v wifi router The idea is that wife kids and Isolating one group of computers guests can Isolating one group of computers browse hopefully not getting infected but in any case isolated from the D-Link network behind I can imagine the possiblity a sniffer getting installed on the Zyxel network which might then be able to monitor traffic from to the D-Link network as it passes through the Zyxel Would such a sniffer be able to monitor the Zyxel traffic or is the latter encrypted or otherwise unsniffable as it leaves the D-Link and passes through the Zyxel Alternatively is there a way for the two routers to sit side by side and somehow share the DSL connection without being reachable by the other say if a switch sat in front of the routers don t know if a switch with divide traffic in this way or not So are either of these a good approach and if not why TIA nbsp

A:Isolating one group of computers

Odyssey said:

I have a fibre optic DSL connection and several computers on a home network. My wife is not interested in learning how not to avoid malware and principally uses an WXP Home computer, but she also does banking on her Apple Mac Mini. I would like to isolate the Mac Mini and my linux computer from the wired/wifi network that we now use.Click to expand...

So the isolation is to protect you from possible infections from her? The Mac has
a firewall too and there aren't too many direct attacks on Macs --
but yes you can isolate it from the others

I was thinking about putting a D-Link DI-604 router behind one of the wired ports on the existing Zyxel P330W v2 wifi router. The idea is that wife, kids, and guests can browse, hopefully not getting infected, but in any case 'isolated' (?) from the D-Link network behind.Click to expand...

so it would look like

Code:

modem--Zyxel (x.y.1.1)--- wired systemes
+
+--- (x.y.1.2) DI-604 (x.y.2.1) .... WiFi connections @ x.y.2.*

I can imagine the possiblity a sniffer getting installed on the Zyxel network which might then be able to monitor traffic from/to the D-Link network as it passes through the Zyxel. Would such a sniffer be able to monitor the Zyxel traffic or is the latter encrypted or otherwise unsniffable as it leaves the D-Link and passes through the Zyxel?Click to expand...

Yes a sniffer on the Zyxel will see ALL traffic as it is the highest level router but only see the tcp header info, not the payload of every packet due to encryption

Alternatively, is there a way for the two routers to sit side by side and somehow share the DSL connection without being reachable by the other,Click to expand...

The secret is the Default Gateway. Unless there is a specific route to force
output to a specific subnet, all traffic flows upward thru the Default Gateway.
The Zyxel attached systems will flow ONLY up to the ISP.
The DI-604 attached devices will flow Up to the Zyxel. Any software attempting
to 'probe for other systems' could discover systems attached to it but not see them
as easily as looking for File Shares (which is the only access that could be acquired anyway).

If you FLIP the positions of the router, eg Modem--Di-604--Zyxel, then the WiFi system would never reach the Zyxel systems.

say if a switch sat in front of the routers (don't know if a switch with divide traffic in this way or not)Click to expand...

nope

So, are either of these a good approach and if not, why? TIAClick to expand...

just fine

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/isolating-one-group-of-computers.132656/
Relevancy 52.46%

OK, my subject line might sound cryptic! Here is my set up: first router (main) is connected to the cable modem and provides std addresses as 192.168.1.2 (base is 192.168.1.1) etc. I have a second router (same brand) as a gateway connected to my main. This second router base address is 10.10.10.1 and all that are connected to this one have manually provided IP addresses (such as 10.10.0.2, etc). The main one provides WIFI access as for the second one do not.

Now my question: from my laptop who uses the WIFI network, how can I reach or connect to the other network (the one that is managed with the router with the 10.10.10.1 address? The purpose? I would like to access the computer connected to it as if they were part of the WIFIed network. And be able to access the router management page. Any clue?

A:Cascading routers - how to access admin features from one to the other?

first some basics;

examine the router (the box itself). everything attached to a LAN slot will default to
routing upwards using the WAN slot -- that's a big clue as to what the routing tables looks like.

second; to manage the configuration of a specific router:
a) WIRE a system directly to it
b) login to the router config page using the current router's ip-address

if your network is
modem---router#1----router#2---router#3

then a system attached to routerX will route upward to router(X-1) and NOT downward to router(X+1)

if you wish to have ALL systems (wired and wireless) see and share with each other, then you have too many distinct address.
Leave router#1 as is. disconnect router#2 from #1 and wire router#1 to a LAN port on router#2, leaving its WAN port empty. Log into router#2 and disable DHCP.

Now do the same for the wire from #2-->#3 and disable#3 DHCP.

All systems (wired or WiFi) will get ip-assignments from router#1 and will be able to
ping and share files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cascading-routers-how-to-access-admin-features-from-one-to-the-other.130510/
Relevancy 52.89%

I am running a computer using Vista and I just moved it from one room to area fixing network help local Need my another Before moving the computer Need help fixing my local area network I had no problems running both Xbox Live and my internet connection on the computer My connection Need help fixing my local area network is a DSL service through SBC and it runs through a D-Link Router that has slots for ethernet cables as shown below - - - - - There are four immediately next to each other on the left and one set apart slightly farther to the right When I Need help fixing my local area network have my three cables one for the modem one for my xbox and one for my computer in the slots on the left I can connect to the internet through my computer as they are right now but not through my Xbox If I move the cable for my computer over to the slot farthest on the right I can connect to Xbox LIve but I can t connect to the internet through my computer If anybody could provide any sort of solution it would be greatly appreciated EDIT Is there a chance that it could be my ethernet cable While I may have moved the computer from one room to another the only change I really made at all was using a longer ethernet cable for my computer to my router nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-fixing-my-local-area-network.130889/
Relevancy 43.43%

I previously set up a home network that worked..then all of a sudden it says Local Only...I do diagnostic...New Ip..doesn't work...disconnect modem..doesn't work...reset adapter..doesn't work....
The desktop is connected via Local Area Connection and I installed a Belkin Wireless Adapter(USB)...
My laptop Dell connects to the ad hoc network wirelessly...
They both connect to the network fine..but my laptop can't connect to the network
* I have already set the LAC to share its internet connection
I cant set the wireless one to share on the desktop..but I have the option to on the laptop but I don't think that would work...
I made my LAC public..I think that was the default...and the wireless Private...Please help!

A:Fix my "Local Only" ad hoc connection

public-private are Vista choices -- you need to use PRIVATE. The public choice is
for use at a hotspot where security is extra tight and Print/File Sharing must be inhibited.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fix-my-local-only-ad-hoc-connection.128228/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello All
My C drive is full is there a way to format it without taking the windows Xp out?
thanks for Help

A:Local disk full

Formatting it, will remove all files and folders, including Windows

Run CCleaner

Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, and remove any not required programs

Download and run KCleaner http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4755-kcleaner.html
(uncheck RelevantKnowledge during install, pic here: http://i42.tinypic.com/aloy8z.gif)
Fully run (it says start actually )

Restart

Check how much space is now available

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-disk-full.127039/
Relevancy 50.74%

Guys, can you help me out, I got my omnibook to try to boot by network, but I can't figure out were to go from here. I don't know what images to put in the boot section (images) on the manager. I don't have a floppy drive in either pc. So I can't run 98 boot disk, or snag the files off of it. I do have the disk for 98se. But I am trying to load xp pro sp2 on this laptop. please help.

A:Argon boot manager: error: unable to read local media

I am needing to find the program to create a virtual floppy drive, or the installxp.img file, can anybody help me?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/argon-boot-manager-error-unable-to-read-local-media.124225/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi all having successfully cleansed said laptop from various nasties thanks in part to Kimsland and Bobbye i have an issue with the admin login Ok when booting up xp is set to fast user switching and the welcome screen login screen with user accounts Administrator is not included in the list So i hit ctrl alt del twice which then brings up the secure login dialog box So i key in Administrator and the Pavilion DV1000 login? HP admin password that i set and it comes up with quot Unable to log you on HP Pavilion DV1000 admin login? because of an account restriction quot WTF is that The only way i can log in as admin is to reboot into safe mode when it presents itself as another user in the welcome screen list giving in total which quite frankly is ridiculous The main reason the lappy was infected was due to uneducated users installing all kinds of crap as their accounts had admin rights I need to restrict them to limited accounts whilst having full access to the admin account without the need to reboot into safe mode I ve google searched for answers but couldn t find any I m looking for a way to solve this issue so with respect please don t come back with workarounds like quot press shift right-click run as kind of suggestions because i m after full access to admin account without rebooting So any help you can offer would be most appreciated thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv1000-admin-login.121078/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi guys really I have big problem I have Dell Latitude X1 and I don't have the admin password
I want to reboot it. but i don't know how if i can't even access to this computer ...Thank you

A:Admin Password

If you are the registered owner of the laptop you are probably better off contacting Dell support.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-password.120623/
Relevancy 37.84%

I recently had to wipe my computer back to factory settings and now my computer won't assign an ip address. I have used wireless internet for a few years and not had any problems until now. Sometimes it says that I have connected to the wireless internet but wont allow me to actually access it, and other times it says that there is limited or no connectivity. I have tried doing system restore again, uninstalling and reinstalling the router but having no luck.

Any help would be great, I'm fed up of having a computer that I barely use just because of this. And I have barely any computer knowledge so basic terms would be really appreciated.

Please help!

A:PC won't assign an ip address

That failure is due to the system not locating the DHCP service on your LAN.

Suggest you use a wired connection and the Network Wizard first.

Then use the Wireless Wizard to connect using WiFi

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-wont-assign-an-ip-address.119666/
Relevancy 52.89%

hello friends, i wanted to know the steps to connect my printer to all of my computers on the network.....

thanks

A:How to connect my local printer to the network?

google for 'printserver' which will get an IP address.

It goes on the network and the printer connects to it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-connect-my-local-printer-to-the-network.119007/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hey everyone- Before anyone jumps on me for posting a similar thread letter HDD External won't assign to Pro XP that has been posted here before I promise that I did my research and verified that my case is different The most similar thread I found was topic - but my case is slightly different and it doesn t seem the solutions posed in that thread worked for me Here s my problem XP Pro won't assign letter to External HDD I had a desktop tower with SATA HDDs - for the OS and for file storage The computer crashed and I decided to XP Pro won't assign letter to External HDD junk the desktop for a laptop To move personal data from my storage HDDs I purchased an external HDD case with USB connect I installed one of the storage HDDs into the new external case I connected via USB to the new laptop running XP Pro Laptop and OS recognizes the drive and gives me the quot read to use quot note I find the drive unmapped in Windows Explorer In Disk Management the drive shows up as active healthy NTFS amp with the name I gave the drive quot Storage quot - yet no letter drive assignment When I right click the only option available is to Delete Partition I open up a DOS window and type diskpart and type list volume and only the DVD drive and internal laptop HDD appear I type list disk and the internal HDD appears as Disk while my external HDD does appear as Disk ---------------------- From here I m at a loss It has to do with these particular HDDs that were part of my old computer To test I attached my WD My Book Pro External HDD to my laptop and that maps completely without problem My storage HDDs were being run on XP Pro in my old machine and I m not sure if they were dynamic drives - perhaps or of them but not all Ultimately I want to pull all my personal data from my old HDDs and drop it onto my new ReadyNASDuo Any suggestions would be helpful And I apologize in advance if someone points out the solution on these boards that I totally missed Happy Holidays J nbsp

A:XP Pro won't assign letter to External HDD

Hi :wave:

Seems you've your post got a bit lost during the holiday shuffle. Was going to help and take a look with you.. but first want to know if anything new since ur post?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-pro-wont-assign-letter-to-external-hdd.118410/
Relevancy 52.89%

I think I ve tamed my new beast of an ATI Radeon x Not sure WHY I absolutely had to have it but hey The top card for a few weeks anyway even though at stock fan speeds the CORE temps can reach Celcius what about fragile parts on the mobo nearby this little heatbox FYI - Running XP Pro V SP Anyway Riva Tuner seems to work at hot New Needs run? - RivaTuner run to X2s Admin 4870 Clearance comandeering the GPU fan speeds back up to reasonable - if a tad noisy - levels Its a little Klugey occaisionally stops working or seems to only want to work from either the startup folder or as from New 4870 X2s run hot - RivaTuner Needs Admin Clearance to run? a registry key The main problem I have is that I have a Visitor account setup I sublet my place occasionally for non-ME users to limit the amount of havoc they can do HOWEVER Riva tuner will not start or operate properly with anything but administrator privileges This is a non-starter So I can either grant guests full dominion over my PC or have my cooks itself into complete failure while restricting the access of my guests Is there a better mousetrap for RivaTuner Note that starting up as an admin and then logging on off is NOT an option as of the time the scenario will be a guest starting up without me around Many thanks to all who opine nbsp

A:New 4870 X2s run hot - RivaTuner Needs Admin Clearance to run?

100C would melt/damage the CPU quickly. Get a better 3rd party cooler

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-4870-x2s-run-hot-rivatuner-needs-admin-clearance-to-run.117807/
Relevancy 51.17%

I need to know the location of the password chip on the motherboard of a Dell Latitude C840. Everything I have tried so far has not worked. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get on this.

A:Admin Password chip location on Dell Latitude C840

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your answer may be found in this thread HERE Pages 10/11/12 maybe the interesting part for you.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-password-chip-location-on-dell-latitude-c840.36272/
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm using a wirless labtop but I'm having an issue where I cannot ping any hostname on the network.
From labtop:
ping hostname of a computer on NW << errmsg 'Ping request could not find host.'
ping IP of a computer on NW and it works.
When I ping local hostname or local IP I get a, 'request timed out'

From another machine on the network:
When I ping the labtop's hostname I get, "Ping Request could not find host..."
When I ping the labtop's IP address I get, "Request timed out."

I also did an IPCONFIG /ALL and pinged the default gateway IP, DNS and DHCP servers and all worked.

Is there any way to configure something here so that the wirless labtop can communicate with the rest of the network?

Windows XP Pro
Compaq Presario Notebook PC

Thanks!

A:Cannot ping local or remote hostnames

this is called Ping By Name, the other form is Ping By IPaddress.

You should always be able to is Ping By IPaddress and if not, then there's a problem
with the TCP settings.

Ping By Name requires some service to translate Name=>Address.
At home, the simplest means is to add the names into the host file.
The file is located at
\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts
You may need to login as an admin id AND to reset the read-only attribute to
be able to save the file.

Use Notepad to do the edit.

The content should be
name (sp) address​there must be at least one (sp) SPACE between the name and the address
eg: linux7srvr 192.168.0.2

ALL THAT SAID, you may have further issues on the network configuration.
The address of each system normally changes everytime you start the system due
to the DHCP service in your router. It is preferable to use DHCP rather than static
addresses, especially when you will seldomly need Ping By Name.

Hopefully, you don't need to debug your network every day, so I would recommend
AGAINST all of the above and use Ping By IPaddress when necessary.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-ping-local-or-remote-hostnames.114315/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello everyone This is my first post I m looking forward to becoming a member of this community Here is my problem I m working on a Windows XP Desktop Dell which is connected to a cable modem using an ethernet cable I also have a Windows Vista Notebook HP which connects to the Internet my secure network wirelessly I use Time Warner Roadrunner as my ISP A month or so ago Time Warner contacted me and asked if A Connection: Unplugged Local Area Cable Network is I wished to quot upgrade quot my Internet service speed for a nominal fee I think it was per month As I am self-employed and frequently upload download large files for my business I decided that this was worth the expense So I agreed to make the upgrade which was done entirely on their end by resetting my modem whole Local Area Connection: A Network Cable is Unplugged process took about seconds Since that time I Local Area Connection: A Network Cable is Unplugged ve had nothing but problems with the wireless connection on the Notebook Any time I attempt to download a large file on to that computer again all done wirelessly the download fails and I lose my Internet connection on that unit e g the small globe icon in system tray which indicates that I am connected to my network disappears and is replaced by a red x or the yellow alert icon At the same time this occurs I get a notification on my desktop PC the one that is connected using the ethernet cable stating Local Area Connection A Network cable is unplugged The outage usually lasts for anywhere from seconds to minutes before restoring itself I have double triple and quadruple checked all of my connections and I can assure you that nothing is unplugged Two calls to Time Warner have yielded little along the way of information or results The first time I called I was told by a snippy tech rep that quot obviously one of your cables it unplugged quot The second time I called I was told that the network card in my desktop was going bad and I needed to replace it Although the second explanation sounds a bit more plausible than the first I remain suspicious Why is it that this problem first manifested itself within hours of my upgrading my Internet speed It never occurred so much as once prior to the upgrade And why does the problem NEVER occur not even once when I am downloading files to my desktop And why do I get errors on BOTH machines when I am attempting to download large files to the wireless machine only A friend who is hardly an expert but who is somewhat in the know seems to think that the problem lies not within the network card but with the ethernet cable itself that it may not be a good enough quality to handle the higher Internet speed He suggests buying a new ethernet cable and seeing if this remedies the problem I m not opposed to that solution but I d like to get other opinions before doing so Thanks so much Mister Winter nbsp

A:Local Area Connection: A Network Cable is Unplugged

First, be sure to update the firmware in the router, the NIC drivers for your wired connectons, and the wireless WiFi driver.

Brand names and model numbers for all network devices may help here.

I've seen cases where this symptom occurred due to the speed of the connection
and as you have just upgraded your network capacity, this may apply to you.

Broadcom 10/100/1000 adapters (and likely any gigabit adapter) set at 1000 flood the simple router and cause it to drop connections.

First try setting 100mb, full duplex and if it is stable stop here

Next try setting 100mb, half duplex and then move to

10mb half duplex.

And why does the problem NEVER occur (not even once) when I am downloading files to my desktop? And why do I get errors on BOTH machines when I am attempting to download large files to the wireless machine only?

A friend?who is hardly an expert, but who is somewhat in the know?seems to think that the problem lies not within the network card but with the ethernet cable itself..Click to expand...

If the wired desktop can run fine, the the cabling is not in question.
The download via the wireless will run much slower than the wired connection
and cause the router to back off -- the speed capacity up to the router is far
greater than the wifi and the problem is in the speed mismatch.

On my Netgear router, I can set the MTU size on the WAN Setup page.
You should have something <= 1500. Personally I use 1492.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-a-network-cable-is-unplugged.110616/
Relevancy 52.89%

hello the dell of my brother is blocked with an administrator password, I will to know if it is possible to regulate this problem

the model is dell latitude 110L, the service tag is #204FM1J-595B

who could help me please ??

if someone can help me,contact me

thanks guys and good luck

A:Dell Latitude110L admin password

Your brother may ask DELL for master password to unlock the computer.

maxpaynemafia said:

hello the dell of my brother is blocked with an administrator password, I will to know if it is possible to regulate this problem

the model is dell latitude 110L, the service tag is #204FM1J-595B

who could help me please ??

if someone can help me,contact me

thanks guys and good luckClick to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-latitude110l-admin-password.51418/
Relevancy 31.82%

My company corporate office sent on Administrative Rights Laptop---help! Dell me a used Dell D this week I love the centrino techonlogy and it s much lighter and faster than my own personal HP Pavilion workhorse My problem is that the laptop is set up with user and administrator rights This stinks I can t download any applications Administrative Rights on Dell Laptop---help! update software even change the clock on the thing I wont have to return the laptop until I leave the job anyway so I want to be able to load Firefox Java GTA etc for when I travel with it Is Administrative Rights on Dell Laptop---help! there a way to crack the password and log on as an Administrator so I have permissions to change things and load programs or alternately can I dump the whole thing reload XP and start over I have the XP disk from my old HP I am not so good with computers but it would be a shame to travel for work as much as I do and be stuck in a hotel in Billings playing minesweeper nbsp

A:Administrative Rights on Dell Laptop---help!

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

Well
this can be tricky but do-able.
Check This Link
or This Link

G'Luck & safe travel

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/administrative-rights-on-dell-laptop-help.32092/
Relevancy 52.89%

Slightly OT, perhaps - I suddenly have a message from my ancient computer: "hard disk controller failure" message, and I'm being advised to maybe finally get a new one. This is a difficult not only because of money at this point, but also because I don't have a reliable repair place (NYC, if anyone has a recommendation).

Is there any way I can tell if a local place in my neighborhood is as good as they like to say they are? Is there a site that discusses this kind of thing, or a site that is good for recommending places? I stopped by a place that helped me a few years ago, and I got a guy who'd only been doing repairs for a year who says it's unfixable - but it might just be ignorance or laziness on his part.

A:Local repair shop reputable?

Unless you know that you have a separate expansion card with a hard disk controller on it (not typical), your hard drive controller is built into the motherboard. As a practical matter they aren't fixable. You would need a new motherboard. Since yours is ancient, any modern, new motherboard would likely need a new processor and RAM as your old equipment is probably obsolete. You might also need a better power supply for you new components.

Because of all the components involved, you might as well buy or build an all new one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-repair-shop-reputable.107018/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi

Is there a way to remove administrative tools and command prompt from a windows 2003 server lock down terminal session?

Thanks,
G

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/removing-admin-tools-and-command-prompt-from-terminal-session.103873/
Relevancy 52.46%

Cannot Login to Netgear DG834G router wirelessly from Dell Laptop

Hi heres hoping you can help me.

I have a wireless connection through a Netgear DG834G from a Dell M6300 running Windows XP which is working fine with respect to accessing the internet..

I also have a desktop (wired to the router) which is also running fine.

The problem is that I cannot log into the router wirelessly as Admin on 192.168.0.1
I can login to the router as Admin from the wired PC, but not the laptop !!
I get to the login screen to input password but when pressing enter the login box just re-appears with the password field blank again.
I know the password entered is correct and accurate as it works from the wired desktop

(note: I have changed my laptop recently from HP to Dell, I was able to access the router wirelessly as Admin to perform maintenance with the HP model)

Any ideas ?

A:Cannot connect to wireless router as admin wirelessly

Are all the settings correct for the wireless laptop.
encryption method WEP, WPA, WPA2
passwords

Does the router even see this new laptop?
Do you still have the older laptop?
Check to see if the DELL firewall is disabled under Windows, make sure it off.
Try opening up a session: ping 192.168.0.1
Does the laptop get IP by DHCP,

ipconfig /release wait.... ipconfig /renew wait... try it again does work then
try static IP then do ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns

If all still doesn't work try..
re-joining the wireless router
disconnect using the wireless in range method on the laptop
reconnect but remove the password then re-do it then click on connect see if the wireless laptop can connect.
If it does reboot the laptop and login with your login ID password
Now open the browser and see if you can get into your router
Make sure you do not have any spyware or popup blocker active..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-connect-to-wireless-router-as-admin-wirelessly.103395/
Relevancy 53.75%

Question about local DNS and the repair utility I didn t setup this network previous guy did We are running a Windows Server that acts as our DNS server and file server All the DNS and Repair Utility Local clients in-house have static IP s and the primary DNS is the server secondary DNS is our static ISP IP In the host file under C WINDOWS System drivers etc the DNS IP entry is listed there too There are mostly XP SP machines but some Mac s for dev purposes At random the XP machines won t connect to their respective mapped network drives on the server Different departments have access to different drives and permissions are set Local DNS and Repair Utility accordingly Oddly enough you won t lose an internet connection So I don t know the moment it happens until trying to connect to the mapped drives To fix the problem quickly I use the quot Repair quot utility on the NIC It s up and running again until the next time I have researched the hell out of this in Google Even looked at the node type being quot Unknown quot vs quot Hybrid quot Tried editing the registry to fix that issue but it didn t work This started out as being a rare event Now its getting more and more regular What s going on nbsp

A:Local DNS and Repair Utility

tide1 said:

We are running a Windows Server 2003 that acts as our DNS server and file server. All the clients in-house have static IP's and the primary DNS is the server, secondary DNS is our static ISP IP.
In the 'host' file under C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc, the DNS IP entry is listed there too.Click to expand...

should not be necessary

Oddly enough, you won't lose an internet connection. So I don't know the moment it happens until trying to connect to the mapped drives.Click to expand...

demonstrating that the network is sane

To fix the problem quickly I use the "Repair" utility on the NIC. It's up and running again ... until the next time.

I have researched the hell out of this in Google.
Even looked at the node type being "Unknown" vs "Hybrid". Tried editing the registry to fix that issue, but it didn't work.

This started out as being a rare event. Now its getting more and more regular.

What's going on?Click to expand...

hum; I would investigate the server or the LAN for bandwidth saturation. The failure to map is likely to be a timeout issue,
and the REPAIR just delays the retry.

The number of clients accessing the server, number of subnets on the lan,
and major server programs running on the server (eg MsSQL) will predict
the limits to be expected.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-dns-and-repair-utility.103031/
Relevancy 51.17%

Greetings,

Computer- Dell Inspiron 8100
Problem- Admin Bios Password

I have tried numoerous things, and in the end seems eeprom is only way to reset this.

I looked and looked, it says under motherboard, yet I never found a "24OC" 4 legged chip on the board to reset.

This cpu is 7 yrs old.

So far no luck fixing this one or my Toshiba and have both been reduced to eeprom reset as only viable option.

TY,

XaNaToS

A:Cant find EEprom on Dell Inspiron 8100 (admin bios pw)

All Dell (and others) BIOS and Admin password removal to this thread only:

--> HP / Dell / etc. Laptop password help (April - June 2008)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-find-eeprom-on-dell-inspiron-8100-admin-bios-pw.102977/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello all hardware wizards, sorry to take your precious time .

I just purchased HP NC8230 laptop from eBay. It's really great laptop. The laptop not require boot password and so it reaches to windows XP, but unfortunately I discovered that its bios is admin protected, therefore I can't access bios and make any modification. I know that these business laptops have extra bios protection and therefore it's not so easy task to reset their password.

Can someone, that have experience with this kind of laptops, help me? It would be very appreciated.
Ozmaia

A:HP NC8230 laptop Bios Admin Password

read the faqs AND post in the laptop forum. Your answer is already there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-nc8230-laptop-bios-admin-password.102649/
Relevancy 51.17%

I moved into a family apartment and had my landlord hook up my at cable network Local area random unplugged intervals Toshiba Windows laptop to his Lynksys wireless router that everyone in the house is using He gave me a Lynksys USB wireless card also which worked well I was able to connect to the Internet with no problems Last Local area network cable unplugged at random intervals week I had the IT guy at my work hook up a remote desktop server to my computer so I could access my work files from home My work files are not wirelss When I brought my computer home that night I started it up and was on the Internet for about minute when it kicked me offline and then the LAN computer icon on the bottom said quot Network cable unplugged quot Every minute or so the X s on the LAN computer icon go away and it says quot plugged quot again This will last for about seconds and then it becomes unplugged again I think Local area network cable unplugged at random intervals the IT guy changed a setting that kicked me off the wireless router but don t know how to switch the settings back Please help I m not sure if the IT guy even knows what he did nbsp

A:Local area network cable unplugged at random intervals

Firewall

Software that accesses remote (sometimes mainframe) files often needs exceptions (changes) to the firewall. Your IT guy will either have to do it or give you the directions as to what to enable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-network-cable-unplugged-at-random-intervals.101680/
Relevancy 37.41%

Okay I have a D-Link DSL G T Wireless ADSL Router revision B I works fine it works both with the LAN and wireless parts I am connected via a ethernet cable on the computer I am using currently and IP me Modem won't assign address an my mums iBook is connected via the wireless But it wont give my computer an IP address It was Modem won't assign me an IP address working fine but recently it stopped working I am not sure what I did to stop it from working I tried connecting via my wireless adapter D-Link DWL-G revision C and then I moved the modem router into my room and used an ethernet cable and plugged it into my onboard ethernet port it wouldn t assign me an IP for that connection either I don t have a MAC address filter running on the modem there is no wireless security nothing on the modem side that blocks my computer I tried using static IP s for both a wireless connection and using the ethernet it connects to the modem and I can access the modem but not the internet It appears that when using static IP s it isnt routing me to the world wide web So It must be something to do with my computer I tried to do a system restore but that doesn t work It goes through the process of restoring then when it restarts it comes up with incomplete restore cannot complete process or something I tried multiple restore dates to restore to and none worked I would just re-install windows and be done with it but I dont have any means of backing up data that I dont want to loose Does anybody know what is going on or how to help me nbsp

A:Modem won't assign me an IP address

The router does not assign you an IP. Your computer is supposed to ask for one. Since the iBook is working OK, your router is responding to DHCP requests properly and your coomputer is to blame.

When you set up the static IP configuration, did you fill in all the data correctly? IP, mask, gateway and DNS exactly as on the working client? (The last octet has to be different for the IP address of course.)

Have you removed any malware recently? It could be that the removal program overdid it. Maybe run WinSockFix..

From your PC, post the output of "ipconfig /all" command.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/modem-wont-assign-me-an-ip-address.101184/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,
Could someone help me? I have a Dell Latitude D510 laptop and I put an BIOS admin passwoed an year ago. Now I need to remeve it but I don't remember. I tried the latitude.exe program but did not worked. Service tag nr. is 6TXB42J-595B . Thanks a lot in advance.

A:Dell laptop reset bios admin password

U will have to do, a chip reset.
Coz i also keep trying those ideas with the latitude application but it failed, but when i did the chip reset, thing worked out exactly how i wanted them.
All the best

Cheers
Robin

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-laptop-reset-bios-admin-password.92541/
Relevancy 46.01%

howdy all,

I came in this morning from the weekend. Tried to logon but I received the following error message:
"current time on this computer and the current time on the network are different."

I checked the time on our server and it was off by about 10 minutes. I changed the local time on my machine to reflect the same time on our server but still no avail.

Is there a fix to my predicament? Do I need to have the local time be updated by our server every time I logon? Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

-maX

A:Unable to logon - Local time and network time are different

Network setup problem. See your network system administrator, unless that is you.

We use free time clock software available by download. TClockex, and others.
They set your time by reference to an atomic clock online, and you never have to worry about it.

You can also set your desktop to synchronise with the network time automatically at boot, but my memory is not what it used to be.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-logon-local-time-and-network-time-are-different.99837/
Relevancy 28.81%

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem. One day, today, I finally got a reliable wireless link by making a sattalite dish out of aluminum foil. I installed some updates, then restarted, but for some reason, windows couldn't find C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile, so all my desktop had was the recycle bin. No Aero, no start menu shortcuts, and a black hole for a wallpaper. It took me awhile to find out that my computer was trying to connect to the host of my wireless. Of course. acess to the C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile on the host's computer was denied. So I disabled my wireless and I got my desktop back.

Edit: NVM, seems to happen after entering safe mode???

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and how I can avoid it in the future.

edit: YAY MY 50th POST!!!!! WHOO MEMBER NOW!!! |(___(((Crayola(((___||>

A:C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile, Could not connect to group policy

weird. sounds like you have Active Content enabled on the desktop. Turn it off

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/c-windows-system32-config-systemprofile-could-not-connect-to-group-policy.98705/
Relevancy 52.89%

I am in sales. I have a new Dell d610 Latitude Laptop. I need to reset some of the stuff in the BIOS for wireless, etc and the IT guys at my company seem to have mislogged or fogotten the admin pw for BIOS. Anyway they have given me five alrady and non of them work. They say I will have to ship the unit in to Chicago and they will fix it. That will take a WEEK that I do not have. How can I reset the password? The settings in the BIOS I need to change are locked and the message says the setup is locked-enter the admin pw into SECURITY UNLOCK SETUP to enable changes. Any advice is welcomed!

A:How to reset the BIOS admin password

This subject was briefly mentioned HERE

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-reset-the-bios-admin-password.48537/
Relevancy 53.75%

I connect to work through a Cisco VPN. My home office has a broadband router with two computers and a network printer. I can print from either computer as long as I am not connected to the VPN. However, I would like to be able to print when I am connected to the VPN.

I have enabled Local Lan Access on my VPN settings, but once connected the Properties window says that Local LAN access is disabled.

Any suggestions as to how to configure my system so I can print on my network printer while remaining connected to the VPN?

Thanks!

A:Local network printing with a VPN

Are you using a VPN client to connect to the system? That would complicate matters, a lot.

I'm using a VPN here, with a Cisco router. However, to "log on" to the VPN I just use the Windows logon system with my username/password. I just had to add my network printer (HP LaserJet 6 on a DLink server) to the system as a local administrator, and it was available and working under the VPN account.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-network-printing-with-a-vpn.14535/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi thanks for looking,
I have just recently reinstalled windows. When I plug in the lan cable, no LAN connection comes up. I have never had this problem before and usually just doing this will allow me to have internet.
Whats wrong? How can I fix?

Thanks

A:Local Area Network (LAN) connection isnt showing up in connections

It needs a Driver. You'll need to visit the Motherboard Manufacturers website & download the driver for your model board.

Before you go there, look in Device Manager {control panel / system /hardware} and see if anything else has an exclamation mark - they'll require drivers too!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-network-lan-connection-isnt-showing-up-in-connections.94222/
Relevancy 52.46%

Problem. I have two computers upstairs /downstairs. Upstairs is main one running vista with belkin router/modem broadband. Downstais computer XP with Belkin usb aerial ( or whatever). I use the 'set up a home or small office network' on my xp machine but the Belkin icon doesn't remain green (or red) it goes grey. I then can connect to the internet and I can read files that are on my vista computer. Problem, if iI switch off my XP machine or it 'sleeps' then I lose my connection and I have to reinstall the network as above.
So how Can this local network be 'saved' so that I don't have to run the wizard to connect? hope that is clear for all you experts out there

A:Local network drops out when computer switched off

Are you using the Belkin Software, or the Windows Wireless ?

If you are using the Belkin and it doesn't remember your WEP or whatever, use the Windows Wireless Setup in the Control Panel, forget about the Belkin and it SHOULD remember the settings and connect automatically each time you boot

OR see if there's a newer version of the Belkin software as that obviously has a fault.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-network-drops-out-when-computer-switched-off.93939/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello I am trying to network the following Billion myguard G wireless router x LAN and phone line in Samsung X running Windows XP Toshiba Portege with docking station running Windows router with USB local wireless 3G Networking modem? SE Printer old printer port thing but still works so I d like to use it can only connect to the Toshiba as Samsung doesn t have that port Scanner USB Huawei E wireless USB G modem and in the future plan on adding an external HD and or desktop PC Maybe also new printer when the old one dies blush At the moment I have internet via the Huawei modem Networking local wireless router with 3G USB modem? connected to the Samsung laptop Previously I had internet via ADSL to the Billion wireless router I have tried Networking local wireless router with 3G USB modem? to connect the Samsung laptop with internet and Toshiba to the router via wireless and LAN without any joy I don t know if it is settings physical connections or you just can t do that I d like to keep the Toshiba running Windows SE as I still use some software that I haven t been able to get to work on XP and the G modem will not work with this OS one reason I d like to network it I can make a crossover cable to connect the two computers but would like even if just for the project appeal to have a more permanent and expandable wireless network where the computers are free to move Can USB hardware like HD s and printers be connected to the router via an adaptor Can the G USB modem be connected directly to the router Basically I just need the router to be a local network router now and not a gateway to the internet if I got that terminology right J as I use the USB modem with a G wireless ISP Has anyone else tried to do something like this Thanks in advance and I hope I got the terminology somewhere close nbsp

A:Networking local wireless router with 3G USB modem?

No, you can not connect a USB modem to the router. You can make one computer connect to the internet using that modem and then share that internet to all the others through the router.

To configure the router, follow the guidelines for using two routers (plenty of threads and isntrucions on the net for that) imagining that the modem computer is the "primary" router.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-local-wireless-router-with-3g-usb-modem.90382/
Relevancy 52.46%

Help Pls, I could'nt find the 24c.... chip on dell latitude 640m. Can somebody help me here so I can use the shorting method. Or is there any other way out? Help me to locate this chip pls.

A:Admin. password on dell latitude 640m

Admin. password on dell inspiron 640m

Pls, help needed for Admin.password (grey screen)on dell inspiron 640m. I mistakenly posted for latitude 640m earlier. I'm sorry! I actually meant that of dell inspiron 640m. I need help on how to locate the bios chip 24c...... or how to over come the grey screen with Admin. password protection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-password-on-dell-latitude-640m.89654/
Relevancy 52.89%

I couln,t find the 24C chip on the Dell XPS M1210 can someone help me so I can use the shorting Method. Help to locate the chip please or anybody knows the password for this laptop XPS M1210
Tag# 7X5GH1-595B

A:ADMIN PASSWORD on Dell XPS M1210

read: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic86309.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-password-on-dell-xps-m1210.90205/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi guys.

I just thought i'd come to you...YET AGAIN...for another computer problem!

You see I recently just bought a D-Link Wireless router and after a couple of games of Warcraft 3 my connection would be lost!

I went to see what was wrong and I found THIS in place of what I normally see to repair.

I tried repairing it but no luck.

I'm being forced to use just my broadband box but it still shows up.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

A:Help with Local Area Connection/Router!

Hum.. That picture is not helpful at all.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-local-area-connection-router.89161/
Relevancy 51.6%

I recently bought a dell inspiron 6400 N series computer from a fellow soldier who left to return to the states. I was planning on using this computer for movie watching and to save pictures on to send to family. I went to turn it on one day after using it for a week and the computer started up to a screen that asked me for an administrator password. I did not receive this password or do not have knowledge of one that was saved. I cannot use this laptop and I was just starting to enjoy it! This was my way to have some down time away from this place. Can someone try and help me please? I tried to email rustam_ but got no reply. I tried to go to different websites but found no help. Someone please help me! I would really appreciate it.

A:Lost Admin Password in IRAQ help Dell6400 Inspiron

I'm assuming this is a windows password we're talking about here, and that you're running XP. If it is asking you for a BIOS password (black screen, white text), then you're probably screwed, unless there is a BIOS reset jumper within easy reach. If not, have fun opening the entire laptop to find it.

If it gets to windows and wants a password, try this:

grab either active password changer (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Active-Password-Changer.shtml)

or

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/)

Follow the instructions closely and there's a good chance one of the two will work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-admin-password-in-iraq-help-dell6400-inspiron.89021/
Relevancy 52.46%

I want to play Warcraft 3 over Local area network, but i don't have a clue what to do.Me and my friend both have cable internet and i'm the only person that has router . thanks

A:How do i connect two computers with local area netwok?

Check out this page. I hope it helps you...http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=560705

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-connect-two-computers-with-local-area-netwok.88179/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello everyone, I hope this is where i am supposed to post this...

I work from home on a computer that is directly connected to our satelite internet and from that point there is a D-Link wbr 2310 wireless router connected to my computer in order for us to run our second computer in the other room.
I most often will get a bubble that comes up on my computer that states "local area connection unplugged". This happens when the other computer is on OR off. Could this be caused from the wireless router? When i am working i also use a VOIP program that i log into. This does not happen every time but on some days it will happen 2-3 times. The disconnection is not for very long but it will kick me out of my VOIP program and make me reconnect.

Can someone please help with this??

A:Local area connection unplugged

Is it possible to run a day without the router....just for process of elimination? I'm not familiar with satellite myself, so I probably won't be a lot of help, but eliminating things one at a time is usually a help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-unplugged.87977/
Relevancy 52.46%

hi there i have a problem with my local area connection for some time now i get this message that s in the title of this thread i tried handling it myself and while doing so i tried to no limiter connectivity connection or Area Local disable or renew my ip that s what i limiter or no connectivity Local Area connection found in some forum while trying that i got an error message saying unable to contact your dhcp server at this point i gave up since i don t really understand too much about this stuff another thing which might be related to this matter is another error i get in my uTorrent program which says that something is limiting my network traffic and download speed really seems a lot slower i tried to open a port on windows firewall but it didn t help i also have Comodo firewall and as far as know the program is allowed to connect but when i tried to test the port via the uTorrent program i got an error Welcome to the Torrent Port Checker A test will be performed on your computer to check if the limiter or no connectivity Local Area connection specified port is opened Checking port on Error Port does not appear to be open Please see www portforward com for more information about how to map a port Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian or Protowall is allowing utorrent com in limiter or no connectivity Local Area connection either of those programs Those of you using ipfilter dat should make sure the list does not include the website s IP After making sure of this re-run this test by refreshing the page F first question i have is general what is this local area connection i have another connection running under my isp s name and there s no problem over there are the two problems related what can i do about it but please answer in simple language i m not a computer expert and all the professional words don t mean much to me hope you can help nbsp

A:limiter or no connectivity Local Area connection

You need to go into your router and Open ports for your PC that using using with this program called uTorrents.

Example: 192.189.9.10 - was the pc you're running the software on...

In the Router there will be section called Port Forwarding..

Port# 111111 -to- 19999 (TCP or Both (UDP) for PC 192.189.9.0

That's how it's done.. If your router is UnPn supported then you don't have to do a thing. The router will setup the port you need. But in the program called uTorrent you need to open the ports 11111 or 199999... Another bit is you can use Port# 111111 to 111111 instead of a range.

Make sure your firewall supports these ports otherwise these ports will be blocked

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limiter-or-no-connectivity-local-area-connection.88106/
Relevancy 52.03%

hello,i have a problem : my local area connection icon in notification bar apears slowely on starting up my windows (xp sp2) and until it apears i can't see my internet connections and connect to internet. i use an adsl modem is connected with ethernet (lan) cable to my pc.how can i fix this problem?

A:slow local area connection icon on startup

How slow?
Check NIC in the device manager for errors.
Check NIC properties and make sure it is all set to automatic.
Turn off the firewall pro tem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-local-area-connection-icon-on-startup.86590/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello,

Yesterday i installed the Linksys BEFSR41 DSL router. The connection to the internet works from every port/switch (1 to 4). But the pc`s that are connected to the ports can't "see" eachother, so i can`t share files or printers. If i put another switch on a port of the linksys and i connect the pc`s to that switch then they "see" eachother and they can connect to the internet. But then i don`t use 3 ports of the Linksys :-(
What could be the problem? I think it should be a setting in the Linksys, i tried some but it didn`t work. Which setting could it be?

Greetz,

DJ

A:Connection Problem with local network Linksys BEFSR41v4

May be problem with subnet mask

Hi ,

As for my knowledge,
If you want to connect to another system on your router , all the connections should have the same "Sub net Mask"

You can see the subnet mask assigned using start -> run -> cmd

and "ipconfig/all"

Regards,
-Sidhi

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connection-problem-with-local-network-linksys-befsr41v4.41816/
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm not sure if this is the right section, but...

I recently recieved a Dell laptop fro ma friend, and the hard drive had been completely wiped using KillDisk. I was supplied with the Windows XP disk used to install the XP onto the computer.

When I turned on the laptop, I recieve a message that "no boot system can be found", and it then went on to check other modes for a boot device. We rebooted and inserted the XP installation disk, but the laptop was unable to find it either. It won't allow us to install the opperating system off of the disk, and we can't use the laptop because it won't fully boot up. Any suggestions?

A:Unable to local boot device

Please give us the model of the laptop, and the service tag number.
I would go to the website of the hard drive manufacturer, unless it is a Toshiba.
Toshiba does not offer drive fitness tools...
Download the drive fitness tools and setup up software for that drive.
Then inspect your BIOS for boot order, so that the optical drive is first to boot.
If the laptop has a floppy drive, boot to a MS-DOS or Windows 98 boot/System disc and see how the drive is detected there. Delete the partition in the last line for unknown, and reformat as FAT32 partition. Then reboot to the Windows Disc, where it will detect and reformat it as NTFS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-local-boot-device.82116/
Relevancy 52.89%

My dell d620 had its bios passwords set while I was away, either my daughter or my son are responsible, funny they both deny touching my laptop!
I bought it from ebay, and dell, well there are dell of course!

If you might be able to find some time to get my password please Thanx so much!

My service tag#6PPCPC1-595B
Express service code#14614931521

A:Dell D620 Admin/sys Password Help

Boot into Safe Mode by pressing F8 before the Windows screen appears. Go into Control Panel, User Accounts, Administrator, and remove the passwords from there

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-d620-admin-sys-password-help.80925/
Relevancy 53.75%

I shut down my computer a few days ago and when I restart it does not connect. I get the following statement, " Local area connnection unpluged via Rhine II Fast Ethernet. However I also get "1394 Connection Connected.
Thus I am able to use my laptop. Any suggestions?

Thanks

A:Local Area Connection

sounds as if the 1394 adapter (used for Firewire) got bridged to your LAN adapter.

checkout the properties of both in View Network Connections.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection.81986/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a Netgear wgr614 router that is acting strangely. The error message I receive in the sys tray what is in the title of the thread. When the message appears, all 4 port lights are lit up on the router and access to the internet is interupted for a few seconds. This was happening more and more. I have checked the cables etc.
I followed Microsoft's tech article (see below and changed the speed/duplex properties to Force 10 Half Duplex. The problem is starting to come back but not as fast...maybe a half dozen times in an hour as opposed to constantly. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dan

)http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910389

A:Local area connection error message...a cable is unplugged

You have that lovely error message (NOT!) Yeah, it's a tough one to diagnose.

Did you make sure that your Windows Firewall is disabled? Are you using Norton or any other Internet security package that might contain a firewall that could be on by default?

BTW, did you just setup the router or did this happen out of the blue?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-error-message-a-cable-is-unplugged.80744/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi all I am currently locking down a PC for a client of mine PC is used as a Local Group Policy Pro) question (WinXP DMZ used by the public only to access the internet PC Local Group Policy question (WinXP Pro) runs Windows XP Pro SP While configuring the Local Group Policy through gpedit msc or through mmc Local Group Policy question (WinXP Pro) - add remove snap-in I realised that while applying policies at the quot User quot level the administrator account also inherits these policies Sames goes if applied at the quot Computer quot level but that goes without saying Luckily I was not applying them directly to the PC in question rather applying local policies through a VMware session on my laptop just in case something like this happened My question is how can I apply strong Local Group Policies on a PC WITHOUT the administrator account inheriting them I tried setting quot Deny quot permissions on the C WINDOWS System GroupPolicy folder but to make changes to GPO s you need access to this folder I did work though I should also say that this PC is not joined to the Domain and is on a separate subnet to all other PC s Any help would be apreciated Cheers nbsp

A:Local Group Policy question (WinXP Pro)

This is a very knowledgeable site BUT, if you receive no answer here, these people are very often quite helpful with Network stuff;

http://forums.windrivers.com/index.php?

gl

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-group-policy-question-winxp-pro.79572/
Relevancy 52.89%

(Sorry, not sure if this was the right spot to post this, but...)
I recently received a new modem today from an RCN guy, and its been working great. However, every so often, a bubble would pop up saying my local area connection is unplugged for about a split second. Any ideas on how to stop this?

A:Local Area Connection Unplugged

Is it a modem or a router?

Either way, it could be an issue with the device itself (a firmware update may fix that), the cable (try another cable), your network card being bad (try another one), or some software issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-unplugged.77114/
Relevancy 36.55%

My question is the following: Can you, on just one audio card, assign the sound from two different applications to two different audio ports e.g. movie sound goes through one port to the TV while the sound from a game or music goes through another to a head-set. I mean, it is possible to divide different sounds in a movie to the different chanels in a 5.1 sound system so wouldn´t it be possible to do the same with applications?

Is there any programs that would allow this or do you need a second video card?

Thanks in advance!

Fanco

A:Can you assign sound from different aplications to different audio ports?

mmmmmmmm NO BUT YOU CAN have 1 device as the windows sound device such as my audigy soundcard and I have my digidesign MBOX in high end sound programs that use ASIO drivers so normally windows don't even see its there really till I'm in sonar or fruity loops......

NOW with that said if I could find a media player that allowed me to use those ASIO drivers as the output guess I COULD do just what you suggested.
I have honestly WANTED this ability before such as havin people in the vocal booth listening to a mix of a song so they can write lyrics and me being able to have a seperate audio feed so I could be composing music in fruity loops......... I am sure there is a way somehow

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-you-assign-sound-from-different-aplications-to-different-audio-ports.75525/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi Rustam

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop off a friend that was moving out of town it was a great deal after a couple of days later i lend it to my brother and he returned it with a message saying "This computer system #2ZJTN91-595B, is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password".

Service Tag: 2ZJTN91
Express Code: 6503176693

Can you help?
Thank you.
Ruben

A:Dell Inspiron 1300 admin password problem

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic68412.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1300-admin-password-problem.74199/
Relevancy 46.44%

How remove password BIOS(Admin password & canfigure setup),

A:Admin password & canfigure setup password in BIOS remouver

Turn off computer. Find the battery on the motherboard. Take it out for a couple minutes. Put it back in and restart computer. This should reset cmos and solve your problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/admin-password-canfigure-setup-password-in-bios-remouver.74308/
Relevancy 52.46%

OMG, please help.I would ask my brother who always fixes things but he isn't here.
I love to go on this one game that is very small and doesn't need much to run.It is called Furcadia..
Everytime I open it, this appears in a bubble on the bottem right.
I can't get it to stop and it disconnects..It does this occasionaly but tonight it was constant and it wont stop.
The internet wouldn't connect or anything for awhile and now it works and I need help on what to do to fix it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-4-a-cable-is-unplugged.73489/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi guys

I have had this problem for about One year now where my Local Area Connection disconnects randomly and i receive a little pop up saying "Local Area Connection Unplugged". The dissconection only lasts one or two second then my internet is back and also it only happens once or twice every hour or sometimes does not happen for 5 hours or even a whole day. My router is D-link. Do you guys think that this problem has something to do with the router or could it be my computer or both?

A:Local Area Connection Unplugged Blinking.

It could be bad network cable, bad network interface or just your ethernet chip and the router's ethernet chip not liking each other.

First, try setting the link speed and duplex manually to 100Mbit full duplex in your network card properties. Ethernet speed autonegotiation is not perfect and often breaks. If that doesn't help, replace your network cable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-unplugged-blinking.73163/
Relevancy 52.89%

I bought dell inspiron 6000 2 years ago, and I'm setup the admin bios password. Now i'm forgot the password is. Please show me how to reset the admin bios password.

Thanks all

A:Inspiron 6000 admin password

Take a look at this thread HERE.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-6000-admin-password.72047/