Windows Support Forum

Compare this month's sales to this month last year

Q: Compare this month's sales to this month last year

I'm trying to create an Access query that compares invoices generated in May of 2002 to invoices generated in May of 2003 so we can see how much money we made compared to last year at this time.

I've tried datediff, dateserial, dateadd but can't seem to get it right. Can some kind soul give me a hand here?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Compare this month's sales to this month last year

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Compare this month's sales to this month last year

I figured it out. Had to use "between". I was trying to just hone in on a particular month last year but I guess that was the lazy way out. Anyway, here's what I ended up with to compare May 02 to May 03:

Between DateSerial(Year(Date())-1,Month(Date())-1,1) And DateSerial(Year(Date())-1,Month(Date()),1)-1

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compare-this-months-sales-to-this-month-last-year.136979/
Relevancy 31.82%

A leaked Intel roadmap tipped us off in January that desktop versions of Intel's Broadwell CPU would arrive by the middle of this year. We now know that information to be true.

Read more

A:Intel: overclocker-friendly 14nm desktop Broadwell CPUs to arrive by mid-year

Sounds exciting, I'll wait for that to hit the shelfs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-overclocker-friendly-14nm-desktop-broadwell-cpus-to-arrive-by-mid-year.209438/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have an installation folder on my main machine(Windows 7) with all my software. I have repeatedly run into issues connecting odd devices to my shared folder. This time I have installed Windows 10 Technical Preview (on a different machine) and don't understand why it tells me I can't access my own machine. After all these years, you would think user friendly would be a reality. It seems to be a coin toss as to which machines will connect. I hate never knowing I can access my own machine without issue. Here I am trying to install applications but yet I can't get to my storage location.

What is the secret to sharing your machine, so that anyone on the same network can access shared folders?

Edit: I always turn on "Network Discovery" and "File and Print Sharing".

A:Network connection issues (year after year)

I'm more brutal via the firewall:

set trust localhost and your lan ip's, eg 192.168.0.1/24

then add two rules for only the PRIVATE PROFILE

inbound allow tcp/udp from 192.168.0.1/24 to any for ports 137-139,445
outbound allow tcp/udp from any to 192.168.0.1/24 for ports 137-139,445
I use a much more complicate scheme in reality to enforce known vs unknown devices and to segregate WiFI from wired access, but that's just me.

In services, ensure these are running

Bonjour Service ( mDNSResponder)
fdPHost
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-connection-issues-year-after-year.208880/
Relevancy 33.54%

I have an eMachines ET1331-02 desktop. (Yes, VERY outdated, but can't get a new one, don't ask why.)

I do quite a bit of gaming and need to be able to run many applications at the same time. Can I get recommendations of upgrade paths?

A:Need MAJOR upgrades for my 3+ year old computer

The machine is quite weak since it only has a dual core CPU. This will limit you when it comes to gaming and running many applications. What you can do though if you dont want to get a new machine is upgrade the graphics driver to the latest one supporting your old Geforce 6150SE chipset >>here<<. You can also upgrade your ram to the max it can take. You can use this tool to help determine how much and what RAM to purchase. I also recommend possibly clean installing Windows (wiping it completely and starting from scratch) since that usually gives a nice performance boost. You can check out how to do a clean install here. Keep in mind, if you upgrade from 4GB to something more, you will need a 64bit OS, or else the OS cannot take advantage of the extra RAM. You can download a legitimate copy from here. You can use the Windows 7 key pasted on your machine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-major-upgrades-for-my-3-year-old-computer.202555/
Relevancy 69.23%

I m sorry if this is in the wrong 3 laptop on Many with issues month place - I d really really appreciate some help though I have a month old Toshiba Satellite A couple of weeks ago after Many issues with 3 month on laptop a Windows Update it went a bit wonky saying there were corrupt files I ran sfc scannow it found some things but couldn t fix them I did chkdsk and sfc a couple more times after which it said all was okay but the Windows Update Troubleshooter thing still said there were corrupt files and I was getting the odd error Many issues with 3 month on laptop and a few warnings in event viewer Sick of fiddling with the thing I did system refresh - after which all seemed okay for a few days during which I chose to not look at event viewer - partly cause I was getting too stressed with it and partly in the hopes that after the refresh then having to install about updates I d give it some time Many issues with 3 month on laptop to calm down or something Yesterday - I noticed everything was running rather slow so I rebooted the machine then everything was running extremely slowly I checked task manager and it said disk use and RAM use although nothing was running save a webpage and task manager I was advised that the Skype app which came pre-installed on the machine has never had issues before and I have used all of once was causing some problems so I uninstalled that I ran Avast anti virus scan nothing found I tried to run sfc scan but it said quot another servicing or repair operation is currently running Wait for this to finish then run sfc again quot Not a clue what that might have been I tried a few times wouldn t run At this point I gave in for the night Today I have ran sfc scan - nothing found Usage for disk RAM and CPU are still high although varying a lot Disk was even down at for a while earlier I notice that Google Chrome is in the Task Manager times I don t think this is normal I have one window open only One of the listings is for the Chrome app which I am not using Avast is in there twice once with the logo and once without I don t know if that means anything About times so far today my cursor has frozen for a few seconds There are a few errors and warnings in event viewer I have a copy of this on skydrive and can put a link on here if anyone wants to see it In brief the warnings are ESENT which viewer says is likely due to hardware problem yay ESENT again says probably hardware Kernel-PnP x DNS Client Events The errors are Service Control Manager terminated unexpectedly Application Error TrustedInstaller exe x Application Hang for wwahost exe and LiveComm exe x DistributedCOM x Apps Those are all the ones since yesterday morning Sorry if that s too much info or not enough I d be very grateful for any help - a new laptop shouldn t be this much hassle I phoned the Toshiba number as it s under warranty only for the guy to tell me he would have advised me to do anti virus scan sfc scan then check task manager - all of which I d already done and if I wanted more in-depth advice I could sign up for extended warranty for a one-off easy payment of just Swines Thank you very very much in advance I can t tell you how grateful I will be if this can get sorted If restore to factory settings thing will magically fix everything then just give me the word and I ll do it I have backed up my files and any apps or programmes installed I don t care enough about to warrant putting up with these issues Though the OS came preinstalled on the laptop so I don t have it on disc don t know if I might need it if I do a reset The OS is Windows nbsp

A:Many issues with 3 month on laptop

I would suggest that you restore the laptop to it's "like new" settings and re-apply all the Windows updates

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/many-issues-with-3-month-on-laptop.199993/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hey techies I ve been looking into smartphones recently because I intend on getting one in July If I m honest I don t want to spend on the Galaxy S or the HTC One and I d still rather not the Galaxy S Looking around on Amazon there are a number of these flagship clones produced by Star or TTsims for about that on paper look pretty decent and a pretty good substitute to the real deal despite a few pieces of irremovable Chinese software apparently these can be removed by rooting but I have no idea what that is or how the majority of them boast quad-core A s or A s with a MK graphical processor and varying between qHD and fHD AMOLED screens But how DO they compare to the real thing if I m honest compare do real clone to smartphones How thing? the cheap I don How do cheap clone smartphones compare to the real thing? t need the best thing in the world but I d prefer at least p with a quad-core so if none of these actually are that good I may just settle for the Galaxy S Mini If anybody has any experience or knowledge on these matters please share nbsp

A:How do cheap clone smartphones compare to the real thing?

I never really go for clones. Go for something cheaper from a big name brand. There are plenty of smartphones here in the US that are cheap ($50USD-$100), some even free.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-cheap-clone-smartphones-compare-to-the-real-thing.193109/
Relevancy 33.54%

I belive it needed a clean

A:My 8 year old PC build state :)

If anyone can identify the fire image wires which are loose pls do speak since my microphone and speakers stopped working for headset

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-8-year-old-pc-build-state.190950/
Relevancy 42.57%

We have an I-plate with the built in filter that splits the phone from dsl connection on the master socket Only socket in our home Our internet modem dsl light has been flickering and the internet turns off The ISP tactics? shady sales using Talktalk claims they have no part in the fault but I doubt it They are talktalk Read my theory below I have taken the I-plate off and attached an old filter into the test socket Everything is working fine with full speed The I-plate is Talktalk using shady sales tactics? useless since we have socket in our home Questions Why did TalkTalk engineers install this unreliable piece of hardware If I had more sockets in the house I would not be able to set up the modem at other sockets right With the I-plate on because the phone is split from internet at direct entry Am I the only one experiencing a lot of faulty filters Or do they just tend to break down after about months Is it illegal or against any rules to take Talktalk using shady sales tactics? the I-plate off and re-install our previous one It does not require removing or adjusting any cables directly only un-clipping the plate and replacing it with our old one Is it a good idea to just revert to what we had before and pay for crappy micro filters that are much cheaper THEROY I believe Talktalk installed one of these I-plates that are un-reliable and will break pretty quickly I believe that Talktalk want us to complain about it until they send and engineer out to replace it and force us to pay for another piece of dodgy hardware I believe Talktalk is milking our money nbsp

A:Talktalk using shady sales tactics?

I think your right Dean, talktalk has not been honest in the past, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were doing so again.

Unfortunely some companies are like that, shady.

~Alex

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/talktalk-using-shady-sales-tactics.185184/
Relevancy 33.54%

hi all I built my pc about a year ago as like a project one, im looking to upgrade so will give as much specs as I can and see what all think on what I should upgrade.
motherboard p5kpl-am-epu ,,, cpu- intel core 2 duo E6750 2.66ghz
2gb kinston ram ,,, 500gb sata hard drive upgraded from 240gb 3 months ago,, 750watt psu
geforce nvidia 8800gt graphics card

A:Built my PC last year now looking to upgrade

What's it used for Terry?

Whether it even needs updating depends on what you use it for really, hence asking. If you use it for gaming, let us know a few games you play and at what resolutions you prefer to play at.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/built-my-pc-last-year-now-looking-to-upgrade.182963/
Relevancy 33.97%

I am trying to figure out what I should upgrade on my PC. It's about six years old. I have attached a screen shot of the specs, any advice would be greatly appriciated!

A:Possible upgrade on six-year-old PC

You shouldn't really start 2 threads when they're asking pretty much the same question.

What to upgrade depends on what you use the computer for. If it's general surfing and watching videos etc. then an SSD will work wonders (even though it might not perform at its peak potential on your system). SSD prices have come down a lot in the last few weeks and a 128GB drive is pretty affordable. If it's gaming you're after then upgrade your video card, you have a PCI-E slot so any current GPU will be compatible.

I wouldn't upgrade the RAM though, DDR1 is old tech and very expensive compared to DDR3.

Also what's your budget for the upgrade?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/possible-upgrade-on-six-year-old-pc.181761/
Relevancy 33.11%

I have a 7 year old desktop, give a year or 2. Its a dell dimension 8400. It has a ATI Radeon X300 at the moment and i want to upgrade.

Could any one help on where to look for a graphics card that would suit the system, or even suggestions?

Not too sure on the power supply, and wouldnt mind an old enough one that would suit the system, think its about 350w.

A:Graphics card for 7-year-old Dimension 8400

According to the Dell? Dimension? 8400 Service Manual, you do have a 350W Power Supply. If you open the case and look at the label on the PSU, it should tell you the ratings for the unit.

Here is a list of cards(newegg search) that should would well for you. I wouldn't worry about a more powerful card as your system would be a bottleneck as well as the 350W cap for power.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-for-7-year-old-dimension-8400.176534/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi all I am having problems with the fan of my Ninja cpu cooler days ago when I turned on the computer a CPU for doesn't Ninja (Scythe after year 3) fan My spin working I found out that the CPU fan wasnt spinning because of the quot CPU Fan error quot warning and I tried to plug another fan in the CPU FAN motherboard connector the fan of the stock My CPU fan (Scythe Ninja 3) doesn't spin after working for a year cpu cooler and when I started the computer it spinned so I thought that the Ninja fan was wrong and I decided to take it to the store where I bought it in order to get it replaced But next day I turned on the computer and the fan was spinning at the correct RPM S so I didnt take it to the store and the next days it worked too yesterday I didnt use the computer but today I started the computer and I got the quot cpu fan error quot warning again And here is my doubt today I have tried to plug the fan in another connector of the motherboard instead of the CPU Fan one and it worked s and it seemed to me because of the noise that it was spinning faster than normal and I found in the motherboard user guide that the connector in which I My CPU fan (Scythe Ninja 3) doesn't spin after working for a year plugged the fan CHA FAN is a V one I dont know if this is too much voltage because it doesnt say the CPU fan connector s voltage but I thought that the normal voltage for a fan was V that would explain the higher speed I think sorry for my ignorance here is the page of the motherboards manual with the information of the different fan connectors Please help Why does the fan spin when pluged in to the CHA Fan connector but not in the CPU Fan one Can I use the computer with the fan connected to the cha fan connector For what I said do you think that it is the cooler fan what is broken or it can be the motherboard s cpu fan connector and why did the fan just stop spinning after year of working properly S thank you and sorry for my english Im spanish nbsp

A:My CPU fan (Scythe Ninja 3) doesn't spin after working for a year

We likely need to know more about your system... It is not unusual for a quality CPU fan to give up after a year of hard use.
Hard to give you an answer without knowing the motherboard, power supply, operating system and such... as well as scans for infestations.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-cpu-fan-scythe-ninja-3-doesnt-spin-after-working-for-a-year.175143/
Relevancy 33.54%

I am looking for a way to bring an old IBM desktop machine that I built Into more sutible working conditions. Does any one have any Ideas on how I can update the innerds of my computer?
I know this very vauge but I dont have the computer with me now and am looking to stock up on what I need (Info and parts) Before I get back to it.
\Thanks?

A:Best way to update graphics on five-year-old IBM desktop

We heed to know the components you have before we can recommend upgrades. What is the IBM model number - or better a link to the IBM spec list for it - and what new components did you put in?

Also, what is your budget and how do you use the PC?

For a starter on learning about video card upgrades, I recommend this site:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/

Pay particular attention to the criteria page that addresses system constraints in the upgrade process - and helps you define your wants and needs in a way that is useful:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/criteria.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-update-graphics-on-five-year-old-ibm-desktop.169271/
Relevancy 33.54%

It's a Gateway model LP2207 and it has a strange problem. On bootup this morning, the monitor did not display anything at all. Just black. I rebooted, then when that didn't work, I unplugged the monitor and plugged in another one. It came on and I was able to work with it all day. At end of day, I tried the gateway again. Nothing.

Here's the strange part. When turned on, the gateway logo appears for a few seconds, indicating to me, the backlight (or whatever supplies the light for the thing, is working. But after that, nothing happens.

I would think that if the light source was out, it would not show the logo!!
Oh, and yes, I hooked it up to 3 other computers with the same result. Any ideas?

A:Two-year-old flatscreen monitor problems

Solution found, if anyone is interested. Seems the problem is not the light source. The logo flashes when turned on but during that initialization period, a safety net kicks in and stops the monitor from continuing the boot process within it's own circuitry. That reaction is due to some unknown problem within. The result is an apparent useless monitor. Solution is to scrap the monitor as cost of repair is likely to surpass the cost of a new one.

I expected that but didn't want to act on it until I got confirmation from good sources. I might add that Gateway support did not contribute to this solution.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-year-old-flatscreen-monitor-problems.168230/
Relevancy 68.37%

hello i have a new acer aspire 5552 laptop computer that keeps crashing. despite the fact that i have paretologic pc health advisor installed on it. i keep scanning and fixing but it doesn't seem to work out. Please can some one help me PLZZZZ B4 I BRAKE MY COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

A:One month old Acer computer keeps crashing

If it's only a month old and continually crashes, I would be taking it back under warranty, get a replacement. But, does it crash as soon as you are into Windows desktop, or when you open a certain program, or when you try to get on the net?
Does it do the same thing every time, or does it run well sometimes? You can't go checking inside for faulty parts, or your warranty will be void. Tricky.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/one-month-old-acer-computer-keeps-crashing.158065/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hi,

Please help.

I am really sick of Belkin's phone support help that does nothing but read from a list telling you to turn on and off your router. You practically have to cry before they put you through to a real tech! And of course you can't sign in or join their support list online either.

Our router network works perfectly on all our computers except for one Compaq Desktop PC. It shows that it has a connection, but Explorer or Netscape will not work. (The only two browsers he has on it.) We have updated all the software and drivers and they even charged us for it.

Would anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks

A:Router- Five year-old Compaq not browsing

OK; confirming that other systems attached to that router work just fine and only the Compaq Desktop PC is failing to access webpages - - -

Please report the system info: eg Win/XP/Pro, Vista, Win/7 ... ?

Get a command prompt ( start -> run -> cmd ) and then enter ipconfig /all >myTCP.txt
Copy the contents of myTCP.txt and paste that in your follow-up.

We are looking to see how that PC has the networked configured ...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/router-five-year-old-compaq-not-browsing.154523/
Relevancy 33.11%

I have a Dell XPS M that turned one year last week During that week I made screenshots of the CPUID-information delivered to me I use this wonderful piece of software to monitor Battery development capacity a a over and year week, the temperature of the notoriously hot computer and after mye last harddrive-crash I found the new version contains information about the battery too I wonder How can Battery capacity development over a week, and a year the current full charge capacity swing so much on a day to day basis And is it normal that the battery has lost of its capacity during the first year Even though lithium batteries are not supposed to have a memory-effect I still cling to the quot empty first load thereafter quot -strategy and have had good success with that on cell phones But the Dell disappoints me as it does in any other respect anyway - new harddiscs new motherboard and a new battery already in week one are the results of the first year s use and maintenance need Never needed maintenance on any PC or notebook ever before PC-use since Best regards ungua nbsp

A:Battery capacity development over a week, and a year

16% loss after one year is reasonable. ok, so not all battery manufacturers have "accurate" battery wear level but i will post mine: i got 2 laptops with accurate battery so far (acer TM4000 and 5930G)

the latter, was bought in early dec 2008. so today, after about 1.5 years it has 31% wear level. now = 48988mwh. was = 71040mwh.

in my case, the level get worse if i use the laptop everyday on battery. once I kept the battery and use the laptop as a desktop replacement the level barely increase. one tip to keep it is that to "calibrate" your laptop battery as often as possible. In some cases I successfully decrease the wear level by doing that. It's clear that short discharge of battery actually worsen the age of the battery itself.

I saw few sony vaio & toshiba laptops, with battery wear level at 0% but battery dies within 5-10 minutes of usage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/battery-capacity-development-over-a-week-and-a-year.145818/
Relevancy 38.27%

hi,

Just one to pick your brains, I rig is ned of some updating, I hav a E6700 (not great but when I bought it it was the bee's knee!) paired with two geforce 8800gt XFX alpha dog xxx editions in SLI, juicey, yep, hot, always!! however I know the processor is in need of updateing but my question is how about the graphics cards? is it worth it or even cost effective to update with a more modern card or does the sli on 8800 work well enough, would I really see a huge difference (abet the electricty bill) if I went for a newer model?

Any input would be great.

Thanks

A:How does two 8800gt XFX Alpha dog xxx in SLI compare with..

That kind of depends on what resolution you game at, what level of eye candy you're happy with in-game, what games you are playing and budget if you were to upgrade.
8800GT's in SLI are a pretty popular setup and give reasonable performance up to 1680x1050/1200 in most older games (DX9 and OpenGL mainly) but I think that 1920x1080 is a more than a little taxing on the cards, as are games built primarily with DX10 and 11 in mind.
You can get an idea of how your SLI stacks up against some of the newer (AMD) cards here -it's reasonably recent although you can probably add a little to the newer cards fps to allow for driver improvements

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-does-two-8800gt-xfx-alpha-dog-xxx-in-sli-compare-with.148938/
Relevancy 33.54%

Got a Dell Desktop about 2002, Intel P4 like 2.8ghz, was a bad *** gaming pc that I bough just for DOOM3, well I stopped using it last year Oct cause I got this laptop, which love laptops now lol, and I would say around Last december was the last time it was turned on and worked, I just hooked it up and tried to turn it on it started up the Dell start up with the F2 for set up ect. and stopped 3/4 of the way...waited waited so i shut it off then tried again, no all it does is the loud whoos and the 2 lights on the front stay on and the 2 dvd/cd rom lights blink. Anyone have an Idea of how I can fix this if fixable, or do I need pro help.
Thx 4 any help

Dark Lord of the Sith

A:PC will not start, after being unused for over a year!

"Loud whoos"?
Are you talking about the diagnostic lights?
What's the model?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-will-not-start-after-being-unused-for-over-a-year.141926/
Relevancy 33.54%

It s time to have a small upgrade on my year system it served me very well and I rarely had any issues I m just looking system A old some requires upgrades year 6+ forward to get most out of it currently it has these components Motherboard Albatron KX Processor AMD Athlon XP MHz Videocard GeForce FX MB RAM x MB Power Supply Antec SL W The MoBo A 6+ year old system requires some upgrades has its integrated network adapter and sound card and I have no problem with either Unfortunately it does not support PCI-e cards I mainly use it to play games like WoW or Counter-strike with all the effects on lowest Its main function over the time devolved into just playing games as I work and watch DVDs mainly on my laptop I ve recently observed more problems in crowded instances when playing WoW and also I m looking forward to play a little more graphically advanced games not the most high-end ones though I think a system with a MHz CPU and GB with a decent - year old GPU should do fine However I m very low on budget - and I don t need additional component upgrades replacements such as a new soundcard and a network adapter therefore I m thinking perhaps I should keep my MoBo and CPU intact and just go for GPU and RAM upgrades Should I upgrade my GPU and RAM with a Radeon HD GB MB AGP around and a x GB DDR SDRAM around how much of a bottleneck will my CPU cause especially when playing a CPU dependent game like WoW How much would such an upgrade improve the current performance if any I just hope to play WoW at max Will my power supply be able to handle an Radeon HD which also requires W I also have a DVD-ROM and a CD-ROM connected to my system - I can ditch out either or both when not using if it will help any Will the GPU just not run at all or will it work on a lower rate and not use its full capacity Given my budget limitations what alternative upgrades would you recommend Is there a better balanced MoBo CPU GPU RAM PSU combination you can think of that may cost around - if a better upgrade is absolutely necessary I ve considered to purchase and overclock an Athlon XP to get around MHz processing capability but it seems like it may cost me another and I m not sure if it s worth it Finally my MoBo supports x GB yet in its manual it recommends only DDR GB RAMS at once and not all three at the same time Why is there such a limitation and what kind of performance issues would I have if I installed x GB Would I get GB a little less than GB or just GB What kind of a setup should use if I want more than GB from this MoBo Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help nbsp

A:A 6+ year old system requires some upgrades

Can I just say, I wouldn't be updating this old machine
I read all through your post and the dollar amounts, I was about to say get Ram, but thought ..no, you are better with a more modern machine with PCI-Express and Core 2 Duo at least.

Save up and sell your computer (completely) and get a new (or newer) computer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-6-year-old-system-requires-some-upgrades.138268/
Relevancy 33.11%

Hi Everyone It won't 5302 boot laptop, 1 old year Advent seems this is a common problem Advent 5302 1 year old laptop, won't boot with laptops judging by this forum but I have not found an answer that seems to relate to my problem Advent 5302 1 year old laptop, won't boot All started when the battery life slowly reduced from around an hour a month ago to minutes then minutes Advent 5302 1 year old laptop, won't boot a week ago until now when you turn it on there is nothing on the screen but the power light turns green as does the battery light it sounds as if it is booting up then it turns off the battery light turns orange then it repeats the cycle and the lights turn green again We can also here some slight clicking when this happens We bought a new power lead about a month ago so I am pretty sure this is still working becuase there is a light on the power supply We have also tried removing the battery and just running the laptop from the adapter but this does nothing We also bought a new battery as it seemed to make sense that the battery might be at fault becuase of the reduced battery life but this has done nothing Any ideas would be greatly apreciated as I have a large premier project on the laptop which I need to finish in the next two weeks Thanks in advance Rob nbsp

A:Advent 5302 1 year old laptop, won't boot

Something wrong inside that case. Check your battery connectors very carefully to make sure they are not out of position when the battery is installed. Then check all your wiring under the keyboard... You will have to remove the keyboard, then unplug and reseat every cable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advent-5302-1-year-old-laptop-wont-boot.137491/
Relevancy 33.54%

I'm going to be traveling for the next year, and I'm not taking my laptop with me. I have a Dell Inspiron from August 2006, and someone told me that the internal battery would "die" if I keep the machine turned off for a year. Is someone able to confirm or deny this? Ideally, I would like to be able to use it when I return. I also have a friend who could turn it on for me regularly while I'm gone to keep it working, if that would be good. But if that's an option, I'm wondering how often it should be turned on. Can anyone help with this? I would really appreciate any advice! Thanks a lot!

A:Can I keep my laptop turned off for a year?

I would recommend removing the battery if you're not going to be using it for a year. You will need to charge the battery completely when you go to use it again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-keep-my-laptop-turned-off-for-a-year.132624/
Relevancy 67.94%

I have a 3 month old 9500 GT that started just this past Monday giving me fuzzy windows on one of my dual monitors. It seems to only give the fuzzy screen on whatever window I have the extended desktop on. The fuzzy screen only happens when the video card is on its highest setting of (1680 x1050) for both screens, however, if I change the extended desktop setting to a smaller resolution the problem goes away. I have updated the drivers to NVIDIA's latest driver but it didn't fix the problem. I am using VGA cables which shouldn't be a problem since it worked for three months. I checked the cables and the monitors on different machines and they all work fine. Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks.

Machine Specs:
Vista Home Prem. 32 bit
AMD Triple core 8400 2.1 GHZ
3 Gigs RAM DDR667

A:3 month old 9500 GT displays fuzzy windows

Is your Vista upgraded to Service Pack 1?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/3-month-old-9500-gt-displays-fuzzy-windows.124302/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi all Summary Am having a custom-built PC that worked just great for the last months Then I started getting random issues BSODs mouse-keyboard freeze computer fails to shut-dowm after OS shutting down For the system freezes, Random six-month old BSODs, past Random BSODs, freezes, six-month old system two weeks now the issues are getting more and more frequent No significant changes were made to the hardware or software Have run UltimateBootCD scans removed almost all hardware except bare bones CPU Mobo Random BSODs, freezes, six-month old system nVidia graphcis card memory PS keyboard and mouse and power supply plus fresh install of Vista SP bit WinXP Pro with without any third-party drivers Once a freeze happens it is a lot faster to happen again even after a fresh reboot Freeze happens with bootable CD programs also that s why I did not list HDD and DVD drive into the bare bones list above -- if I have one of the two Random BSODs, freezes, six-month old system I can start the system and issues happen Here s the current configuration see more freezes here than BSODs Intel Core Quad Q GHz Abit Fatal ty FP-IN motherboard No overclocking GB RAM passes UltimateBootCD tests EVGA GT PCI-x graphics card Antec EarthWatts W power supply Plain old PS keyboard and mouse USB mouse also has same results Vista SP -bit with and without latest updates Also tested WinXP SP Pro same issues Also bootable CDs result in the same issues Prior original configuration more BSODs than freezes GB RAM passes UltimateBootCD tests Windows Mem diags tests Two SATA GB s GB Seagate hard-drives pass all scans Windows BootCD One SATA Samsung DVD-RW One Sony PATA DVD-RW Curiously if I enable boot-up memory tests in Bios it fails for GB and keeps on rebooting Yet with bios RAM tests disabled Windows Mem diags and UltimateBootCDs all pass after - hours running Installed SpeedFan on otherwise fresh OS install Let it track and show temperature and voltage charts all the way till freeze happens There is no jump seen in either temperatures or voltages This is NOT tracking nVidia card temperature though which does get hot but not enough to prevent me from touching for several seconds Some folks suggest Power supply may be bad Also nVidia cards have over-heating issue per the news all over the place a few months back Abit motherboard company seems to be gone Everything except keyboard mouse and Sony DVD-RW is new and under warranty Just that I do not know quot what quot is bad Bought Asus P Q SE mobo to see if that helps But a google search before opening the box said that folks have similar problems with that Mobo too Please help nbsp

A:Random BSODs, freezes, six-month old system

Found some place online to try disabling EIST and C1E CPU settings in bios. Did that, problems still exist.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/random-bsods-freezes-six-month-old-system.117245/
Relevancy 33.54%

I'm researching costs vs performance of the AMD dual core processors.

Understanding the 'latest and greatest' always seems to be more expensive.
Without using a crystal ball - does anyone have an informed impression as to what AMD may be doing with the processor costs/upgrades of the AMD Athlon 64 X2?

Being as close to the New Year as we are, I'm wondering if it would not be a prudent thing to do - to put off the purchase of a CPU from AMD until after the first (January 09)

I guess after thinking out my questions making long thread longer :wave: I'm asking if 'historically' or otherwise does anyone have an impression of what prices may be like for processor chips such as the referenced item in the New Year?

Any advice would be appreciated.

A:Will AMD surprise us with discounted prices in the New Year?

Let's all hold our breath and wait...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-amd-surprise-us-with-discounted-prices-in-the-new-year.116868/
Relevancy 69.23%

recently i've been running a cs server and i guess it took up alot of bandwidth..

just a week ago when i opened up my webbrowswer this little rogers thing pop out on the top of the webbrowser saying i've reached 75% of my bandwidth

now i just wanna know if i went over yet or exactly how much more cause its been a week and i need to know if i'm at 90% yet or w.e so i don't get charged

and also, i'm a youtuber and i was wondering if it takes up alot of bandwidth?

A:How do I check how much bandwidth I used this month?

so could you check or i'd have to call my isp O_O

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-check-how-much-bandwidth-i-used-this-month.112937/
Relevancy 35.26%

I need to know if one is better then the other, and if so, how much better?

A:Compare Onboard Nvidia GeForce 6150 Video Adapter to intel 945GM express Chipset

The nVidia has slightly better control of images, but the Intel is significantly more reliable and has an expected longer life.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compare-onboard-nvidia-geforce-6150-video-adapter-to-intel-945gm-express-chipset.108954/
Relevancy 33.54%

Was just typing a letter saturday night and all of a sudden the screen goes on the fritz and goes black. Try and reboot nothing. The lights come on but the laptop is just quiet, f11 nope, restore Disks nope nothing happening. Battery out then back in nothing. Let it sit for 24 hours tried all again nothing but the power lights come on.

HP did send me a box and now have the machine and say it will be covered under warranty.

Seems this is a problem with these machines. Boy I want a macbook. I can give this HP Laptop when it gets back to me to my wife. Then again this emachine PC that I am using right now cost me only 300 dollars a year and a half ago and works like a champ. I am stuck in my office though.

A:HP dead dv2214us 1 year 3 months old

update, well I got the laptop back from HP with a repair consisting of LCD Cable and Lid switch was reseated, loose connection BIOS was updated.

So I take it out of the box , put battery back in plug in adapter for power and turn on power button by holding it down and bingo, same issues, a short humm, no screen comes on not booting up.

I call HP again, they tell me to take out battery and unplug power hold down power button for 30 sec then put battery back in and plug power adapter back in turn on laptop and keep pressing F10, nothing happens then F8 nothing then F11 still nothing just the blue power lights on.

They are sending another empty Fed Ex box for me to send it back again Monday.

At least there is no charge, but I bet it comes back again not working.

Geesh.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-dead-dv2214us-1-year-3-months-old.108697/
Relevancy 70.09%

http secure newegg com WishList PublicWishDetail aspx WishListNumber amp WishListTitle my How is my build looking like so far Of course i still have only the case and some of to in or first my pc build month Going a two... those parts I ve found at other places then newegg I have in amazon monies saved up too would be nice to use it for parts But being a Going to build my first pc in a month or two... deal finder amazon just doesn t do combo Going to build my first pc in a month or two... deals or really has anything cheap for computers This list isn t set in stone either I like the low power consumption of that cpu but am also considering the black addition or similar Was also considering the dual gpu ati video cards as well in case I end up having only one pcie Going to build my first pc in a month or two... slot Looked more towards a board like this so I could still run the system even if I didn t have all the parts yet even has hdmi Though I haven t looked at monitors at all either or desks yet so it won t be on the floor lol Well tell me what you think Thanks - nbsp

A:Going to build my first pc in a month or two...

Looks decent.

* You can get the video card cheaper if you don't need that exact one. The 9600GTs should be able to be found for ~$130 on Newegg.

* That power supply isn't very good. Look at Corsair's 650W single rail one, or any 475W or above from brands like Enermax, Antec, PC Power&Cooling...

* Probably not worth your money for that CPU cooler. Since you are looking at a Retail CPU it will come with a stock heatsink and fan which will probably be about the same performance as that Rosewill one. If you aren't going to overclock you can get by with the stock heatsink and fan just fine. If you are going to overclock you'll want a better one than the Rosewill.

* I've had a case like that (2 actually) with the rear exhaust fan area being really 2 levels (see here) and its more difficult than it should be to put in a fan because you can't actually hold the screw while you are putting it through 2 of the holes. Its not a HUGE deal, and it can be done, its just harder than I'd like. I would suggest considering any of the tool less cases (which really only mean you don't screw in hds and cd drives) they are much better to work with. The price is slightly higher, but I saved you $20 on the HSF, so maybe look at something like this. Shipping on those things is outrageous, but occationally they will do free shipping, so be on the look out for that. Also if you order from Newegg, they don't charge you shipping for each individual part and add them up, they charge for what it costs to ship them all together. So if you are going to order a case without free shipping it will save you some money overall if you order several other parts at the same time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/going-to-build-my-first-pc-in-a-month-or-two.108226/
Relevancy 38.27%

Technical information IEEE WiMAX is a term coined to describe standard interoperable implementations of IEEE wireless networks similar to the way the term Wi-Fi is used for interoperable implementations of the IEEE Wireless LAN standard However WiMAX is very different from Wi-Fi to WiFi Compare WiMAX? in the way it works MAC layer data link layer In Wi-Fi the media access controller MAC uses contention access all subscriber stations that wish to pass data through a wireless access point AP are competing for the AP s attention on a random interrupt basis This can cause subscriber stations distant from the AP to be repeatedly interrupted by closer stations greatly reducing their throughput This makes services such as Voice over IP VoIP or IPTV which depend on an essentially-constant Quality of Service QoS depending on data rate and interruptibility difficult to maintain for more than a few simultaneous users In contrast the MAC uses a scheduling algorithm for which the subscriber station need compete once for initial entry into the network After WiMAX? Compare to WiFi that it is allocated WiMAX? Compare to WiFi an access slot by the base station The time slot can enlarge and contract but remains assigned to the subscriber station which means that other subscribers cannot use it In addition to being stable under overload and over-subscription unlike the scheduling algorithm can also be more bandwidth efficient The scheduling algorithm also allows the base station to control QoS parameters by balancing the time-slot assignments among the application needs of the subscriber stations see the article for details nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wimax-compare-to-wifi.105098/
Relevancy 70.09%

After getting an EA430 at newegg and being very satisfied, it suddenly died on me while playing TF2. It is really weird and forced me to revert back to my old PSU which meant uninstalling my 3850 as well. Should PSUs die so quickly? I thought Antec was a reliable company. Did I just get unlucky and get the 1/100,000 faulty PSU?

A:PSU died after a month

just bad luck
the PSU is good enough for your system
but add another drive and I say you need 500 to 600 watts
I don't know what you need for the vid card
I always go 30% more in power when building a system

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/psu-died-after-a-month.100160/
Relevancy 67.94%

Budget 1600-1800 euros.
What I'm planning to get:
Mobo: I have no idea
CPU: E8500 3.16 ghz; This is 45nm If I'm correct (Should be out 20 Januari at 266$ from what I hear)
Graphics Card: NVidia 8800GT *2 I'm not entirely sure about this I was originally planning on getting a card in the 9000 series but it appears it's gonna take a while before they're coming out.
RAM: I have no idea except for that I'm probably getting 4 gigs
HDD: WD Caviar 320GB*2 for Raid purposes
Case: I have no Idea
Sound Card: I'm hoping the integrated sound card from the mobo will do the job nicely.

That's about it I think.

A:I'm planning on building a new PC next month, I need some advice on the parts.

What you got there makes good sense. With your budget it seems all you need to do is get the best mobo available. One thing I like to remind you though, is not to get cheap on your PSU. Hope the CPU will come out on time. Please keep us up to date on your project. Enjoy!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/im-planning-on-building-a-new-pc-next-month-i-need-some-advice-on-the-parts.94591/
Relevancy 33.54%

Please help im in year 12 and i have just lost all my work for the semester the usb has gone through the wash and everytime i try and plug it into a computer it says malfunctiong usb and i can not access it is there anyway i can access it please help

thanks

A:malfunction usb please help i just lost all my year 12 work

Its probably hosed. Lots of times having them go through the wash won't kill them. What does kill them is plugging them in before everything is completely dry.

You could buy some 99% isopropyl and soak it in that for a while. Probably at least a few minutes, making sure the whole thing is saturated. Then remove it and let it completely dry. Like open up your case and set it on top of your hard drive for a day or something. You have to get all of the moisture out. It probably won't work, and with the alcohol it probably won't take very long for it to dry so a day might be more than necessary, but you definately want to be sure there is no water left in it.

Your other option is to open it up and see if there is any corrosion or soapy material left, and clean that off with alcohol. Again letting it dry.

Like I said it probably won't work, but it definately isn't working now, and I know of no other way to recover it after you've screwed it up by powering it when wet. Luckily it isn't something important like all your work for a Masters degree or PhD. I'd just use this as a learning expierence and always back up my data. You should also never have your only copy of something on a flash drive. Just take a look around this forum and the internet for all the failures of flash drives.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/malfunction-usb-please-help-i-just-lost-all-my-year-12-work.88377/
Relevancy 69.23%

as the title says i brought a GB RAM troubles Month Long DDR PC ram stick from Buffalo a month ago I ve search countless hours trying to get answers on how to get this thing working trust me it s been years since i built this computer and only months since i ve been able to use it I ve tried to Month Long RAM troubles upgrade so many times and only to Month Long RAM troubles fail in the end This time im not giving up I ve upgraded my bios and tried everything told on previous websites but i cant Month Long RAM troubles get this stick to boot to the Windows Load screen all it ll do is go through the whole bios screen and etc and then the screen goes black but when it goes black it kinda has that eerie glow Kinda like when you first load up a game right before it shows the companie s logos Please i beg you mercy Help me before i take a sledgehammer to this thing nbsp

A:Month Long RAM troubles

Seems as if you have a failing monitor, or a failing video graphics port, rather than any sort of a memory issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/month-long-ram-troubles.87530/
Relevancy 28.81%

directx c help plz i have a - 6-7 i the dont i 9.0c..help..plz. comp..and new have wont year directx a directx year old comp how do i uneistall I dont have anygames my comp is about to years old and i dont play games on it no more but now i use bt for anime directx 9.0c..help..plz. i have a 6-7 year comp..and i dont wont the new directx and directx 9.0c..help..plz. i have a 6-7 year comp..and i dont wont the new directx videos but now something happen i had to reload my windows to make the story short i was trying my best to fix everything after the window obeartion system crash everything was going fine my files where ok but then divx would not play first i dl all the codec i need and i thought i was dont tell it ask me to reinstall direct x but will yea i didnt now how to do that bcuz i dont have a cd that has directx so i left alone for lil while bcuz i was mad and i was looking into what to do when my cousin dl direct x c without telling me trying to fix reinstall erro but it still wont play and when i check out direct x setteings it will tell error Problem getting extra display info code x e error code and when i try to test the directdraw it said Directdraw test results Faliure at step creating primary surface HRESULT X E error code so what should I do i can not buy any new drives for it and i im still going crazy when it keeping asking me to reinstall it everytime i try to play divx im real need help im lost so im asking what should I DO plz help plz i been reading ur post dont tell me i need new drives bczu i real cant do that and my cousin left so he gone and he wont do anything to help fix it i need to knoe is there anyother way to fix this p s my cousin i dunno what he did he told first he dl directx and divix did not play then he dl and he even dl the again but i know that it would not work and besides isnt that bad doesnt have be uneinstall yea how can i take out directx c i had idea to take it out even thoe thats bad and useing on of my games that should have the directx on it and installe it but how do i even uniestall directx nbsp

A:directx 9.0c..help..plz. i have a 6-7 year comp..and i dont wont the new directx

Which version of windows are you using?
And what videocard do you have?

(And what is your cpu, though this is mostly out of curiosity)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/directx-9-0c-help-plz-i-have-a-6-7-year-comp-and-i-dont-wont-the-new-directx.16884/
Relevancy 31.82%

Ok so I m on a mission to get this old eMachines good enough to play Far Cry FEAR and the likes FPS s decently low medium The parts I m reusing are MicroATX eMachines case soon to to play old newer 5-year budget: Upgrading tight eMachines games Extremely be modded for a side fan DVD-ROM CD-R Floppy pretty much it I also have a W new powersupply that is simply sitting here under my desk in its box since I m not using it So count the powersupply as FREE since I m gonna use this one compared to the -year old W one Here are the current specs Foxconn SiS chipset mobo socket A AGP x SiS integrated crap AthlonXP Socket A generic ram Now I can do anything you say Change it all just add in some graphics card whatever you say I do not have a quot specific quot budget Let s just say that the lower we can get it the better So uhh yeah no E GT GB ram k I m open to suggestions I already have some ideas of my own but I want to here what YOU would do in this case Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Extremely tight budget: Upgrading 5-year old eMachines to play newer games

Hi man,
I'd get an Athlon 64 3000+, then a Radeon X800 card, and a good, cheap 939 mobo, like THIS ONE. MicroATX, even SLI support (for future upgrades), and great EVGA brand.

And finally, a cheap 512MB Corsair Value Select RAM (1GB highly recommended), and a fast 80GB 7200RPM Western Digital IDE HDD.

Regards :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extremely-tight-budget-upgrading-5-year-old-emachines-to-play-newer-games.63236/
Relevancy 28.81%

I need help with two cables: I use serial port and USB port for faster connection to my pc for signature pad in a pharmacy... Is there any difference in speed or interference of this two cable and which ones are more useful over the other...pls help\

cheers

A:Compare USB Cable Vs. DB9 cable

cable

Sorry about late reply, I wanted to know which cable, that is, serial or USB. Also i wanted to understand difference between USB 1.0 and 2.0 - mostly for speed and distance.
I plan to use USB 2.0 / gold plated for higher speed - want to use about 15 feet of extention cable with existing USB cable...I am not sure if i have USB 1.0 or 2.0 cable that came with signature pad. As a result, i was concerned about compatibility since signature pad sometimes fails to recognize network connectivity due to USB extention cable being 1.0 or 2.0; therefore, i was wondring if i should use USB or serial...

Hope i am clear in what i should be asking...
I hope some one can help.

cheers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compare-usb-cable-vs-db9-cable.55143/
Relevancy 67.08%

-I have an eVGA GeForce mb PCIe video card that is about months old I m using it on a Gigabyte k n-sli mobo with a w Antec Neo HE PSU -I powered up my computer like I do every day but the monitor was black it didn t blink or anything it acts like the computer is turned off -I looked at my card and the fan wasn t on is it supposed to be on all the time -I then installed an old PCI video card and took out the and the system booted up fine -I then reinstalled the but left the moniter plugged into the old PCI gpu so that I could look in Window s Device Manager to see if it was even recognizing my but the old PCI gpu doesn t display anything while the is plugged in My problem I 6 eVGA GeForce suddenly 6600 blacks out month old don t know if it s the I don t have another system to test it on or the mobo s PCIe ports which showed up fine in Device Manager Do I need a new graphics card I didn t do anything to damage it so what could have caused the problem nbsp

A:6 month old eVGA GeForce 6600 suddenly blacks out

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Try doing a clean install of Video drivers, removing all drivers first.
Check to see if there are any newer MoBo chipset drivers,
HERE

G'Luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/6-month-old-evga-geforce-6600-suddenly-blacks-out.50392/
Relevancy 33.97%

Whats up people Im looking for a little advice for upgrades Ive spent months looking at stuff mainly newegg and am just trying to get a feel for what upgrades i need Currently i have XP home AMD XP Stock cooling MSI KT Ultra Mobo Geforce Fx LE mb agp gb kingston SDram ddr lat gb HD GB HD linux Dual boot SUse x lite-on CD-RW Thermaltake w Power Supply I know it old I want to upgrade to an AMD bit single old 4 upgrades year PC needs core Are they stable Ive heard great things about the but i 4 year old PC needs upgrades want that little bit of extra in the PC A new shiny processor needs a new MoBo Any particular brand stand out above all the rest I used to have a Soyo but i dont see them around anymore My MSI runs great only issue was the dumb chip set fan but i replaced that with a fanless heat sink so its fine Im not currently looking at SLI beacuse i dont have the money for two cards and single mobos are cheaper however i noticed that to get newer fancy features on the mobo you have to get SLI And Finally Im looking for a Video Card Amazingly enough i can play BF only at the low defaults but i can Ive kinda fallen out of touch with what video cards are the best and which to buy Ive always had Geforce Chips original first comp and a GF mx mb I dont mind spending about on the new card just so long as its stable cool and will stay with the gameing curve for a few years Ive looked at the Radeon X and the X They are a bit pricy but i can see why The geforce seem a bit unstable and hot Looking at getting Kinston Hyper X ram gb gb mb im not decided yet on wether i want to get x or just a single gb stick timings are - - - Is the corsair that much better timings are - - - Finally are the Sythe brand coolers good They look realy nice and im all about silent cooling Plus im am getting fan controller so i can mount a fan and use it when needed Any and all suggestions are welcome Thanks Eddie nbsp

A:4 year old PC needs upgrades

Here're some parts I like.

Abit AN8 SLI motherboard (yeah you said you didn't want sli, but this one is still pretty cheap). I see that you like "silent computing" so this should be a nice fit, since it has a fanless/heatpipe cooling unit on the chipset.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127207

Amd a64 3500+, nice bang for the buck.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533

Gigabyte Silent 7600gt Pci-e. Fast, and it's quiet too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125025

I'd recommend either getting a 1GB or 2GB kit of memory, so you get a matched pair of memory to use in dual channel mode, which is somewhat faster. Lower cas is better, look for cas 2 or 2.5.

I guess scythe is ok, haven't heard anything bad about them.

Might want to consider power supplies as well, I like antec, fsp group, ocz, enermax, seasonic, etc. Some newer antecs have two fans, but only use one fan if the temp is cool, which makes it quieter.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/4-year-old-pc-needs-upgrades.53532/
Relevancy 33.54%

HELP I m having to type this on my MHz notebook Yesterday my second power supply in months bit the dust I spent all afternoon today cleaning any dust out of my PC it wasn t too terrible but I thought that might be the cause and replacing the PSU The computer fired up but I immediately started smelling that same odd like burning plastic smell Less than a minute later the psu died litterally in a puff of smoke It was also very hot to the touch immedately after Now the technical details A year ago my watt psu blew Suspecting I was putting too much of a drain on it Athlon XP cpu IDE devices but no lights or fancy stuff I replaced it with a new watt psu Flash forward weeks later to yesterday I suddenly smelled that burning smell followed soon after by power days! HELP!!!! in supplies year). in (3rd Two two a the PC s power failure Today I found a replacement watt psu used but in great condition As noted above it ran for about one Two power supplies in two days! (3rd in a year). HELP!!!! minute before dying in a puff of gray smoke I have no clue what is going on here Anyone HELP nbsp

A:Two power supplies in two days! (3rd in a year). HELP!!!!

There are two things I can think of right off the bat.

1. faulty house wiring where you are pluging the PSU in at. (unlikely but possible)

2. when your PSU went up in smoke the other day it took the mobo with it. and since the mobo has been damaged it is going to toast any PSU you hook up to it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-power-supplies-in-two-days-3rd-in-a-year-help.51506/
Relevancy 32.68%

First of all don't understand... drive My I only one hard Maxtor after year died and hello to all the people here I am new in this forum and I am far from being an expert on this things so that s why I am here I guess to get some help Yesterday suddenly my computer restarted ang gave me and error message Can t start windows cause the file My Maxtor hard drive died after only one year and I don't understand... System My Maxtor hard drive died after only one year and I don't understand... Drivers Isapnp sys is lacking or is damaged Well you know that s My Maxtor hard drive died after only one year and I don't understand... not a rare thing cause a lot of people seem to have that problem once in a while You usually load the windows xp cd go to the repair console and you fix it from there Problem is that I havent been able to fix it being the result that the hard drive is seriously damaged The Chkdsk operation told me it had some unreparble damage and we tried the hard drive in another pc and it didnt read it It said it had no format So I really wonder what could have caused this A virus How come a hard disk that is only a year old and it hasnt been through bad use died this way suddenly And I thought Maxtor hard drives were one of the best on the market now I dont think I will ever buy one again Any comment help will be really appreciated Kind regards amp nbsp

A:My Maxtor hard drive died after only one year and I don't understand...

Drives can die in the first week of use. It could have just been a bad drive to begin with. Have you run any of the Maxtor utilities to see if you can any error codes? Is the drive still under warranty? Did you have any data that you needed off the drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-maxtor-hard-drive-died-after-only-one-year-and-i-dont-understand.43473/
Relevancy 33.54%

I ve just upgraded my year Date 2000 computer with a new mobo cpu and HD so i m not sure if this is a hardware or software question if this is in the wrong forum please forgive me When i first loaded windows i didn t put the right date in somehow i put in the date I changed the date when the OS was fullly loaded But now when i try to load Norton it says my subscription is out of date it says installed and and subscription ended I ve done everything i can think of to fully uninstall Norton uninstalled the program used their removal tool removed everything from Registry with Registry Mechanic done everything i can think of but it year 2000 Date still keeps happening So i wondered if there is a date somewhere related to the computer as opposed to the software that keeps telling Norton its the year I ve checked the date in the Bios and it is the right date Thank you for your year 2000 Date help nbsp

A:year 2000 Date

Doesn't sound like your computer is reporting the wrong date. As long as it shows the right date in both BIOS and windows, it should be right. Norton Live Update is a paid service, meaning you actually have to pay them (annually i think) to get the updates. If you have legitimately subscribed to their service then i suggest you contact their customer support. If you have not subscribed and do no wish to pay to get virus protection (assuming you're talking about Norton AV), then I suggest you get this very good free antivirus program (better than Norton imo): AVG Anti Virus

here's their site: http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/year-2000-date.42183/
Relevancy 29.24%

I gave my old Athlon XP to my mom I built computer random post; won't seemingly 2 post codes year gives old it myself and it has an Epox RDA motherboard A week ago she said when she turned it on it beeped 2 year old computer won't post; gives seemingly random post codes and nothing came on the screen I had my dad look at it and he said the CPU fan wasn t running This was the fourth or fifth time we had turned it on to troubleshoot it I live miltes away so I m not sure if it stopped running when he was messing with things or if it hadn t been running the whole time Anyway they sent it to me and I ve tried troubleshooting it to no avail When I first 2 year old computer won't post; gives seemingly random post codes turned it on it got to the bootup screen before freezing At this point I noticed the CPU speed was listed as Mhz Now when I turn it on it doesn t show anything on the screen what would cause this a heat issue First I was getting a C error so I tried switching out and trying to each memory stick individually No luck Eventually I ended up with a wide array of post codes including C Detect memory Reserved Program CPU internal MTRR Initialize the APIC Program early chipset Measure CPU speed Invoke video bios Sometimes it would boot up to and then go back down to It seems certain to me that either the CPU or motherboard or PSU has gone bad Is this correct If so how can I find out which one it is so I don t buy the wrong thing Thanks a lot nbsp

A:2 year old computer won't post; gives seemingly random post codes

well.. the best way is to try each single part in a different system to see if they do work or not...

i always use the thought that Electronical Stuff does WORK or NOT... they dont "kinda work"...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2-year-old-computer-wont-post-gives-seemingly-random-post-codes.41118/
Relevancy 37.84%

I have been having some cooling problems with a new Celeron D 2.6 chip. I want to find out from other people with Celerons or other P4s what their ide and loaded temps are. This way I can try to find the problem ...

Celeron D330J with timestamp Jul 05.
Idle: ~45C
Loaded: ~60C
Ambient: ~30C

Thanks

A:Processor and Ambient temp compare ...

My cpu is a P4 3.0 ghz prescott

Idle: ~46C
Loaded: ~upper 50sC

Ambient: sry i dont know what this stands for

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processor-and-ambient-temp-compare.40143/
Relevancy 33.11%

InPhase Technologies, based in Colorado, has developed a commercially viable version of a holographic disc which can hold 300 gigabytes of data and can be used to read and write data 10 times faster than a normal DVD. ​http://www.inphase-technologies.com/news/turneronair.html
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27926

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20050608/105586/?ST=english
http://www.manifest-tech.com/media_dvd/dvd_holo.htm

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/holographic-storage-revolution-promised-next-year.38133/
Relevancy 38.7%

Hey all I m planning on building a computer my first and I m a bit confused but learning as I go and want to know how my planned build will compare to my computer machines each other? How do these compare to at work What I have at work is a Dell precision with a Pentium rated at GHz G How do these machines compare to each other? ram I think Not sure exactly which video card is in it some NVidia quadro What I m planning on buying is an AMD an Asus A N motherboard not sure exactly which one a video card in the - range and minimum of Gig memory in addition to all the other componants PSU hard drive etc My question is whether the proposed machine will be worse than as good as or better than my office workstation I do a How do these machines compare to each other? lot of solid modeling at work and will at home in addition to some gaming and don t want to build a machine that is worse than what I have which is good but doesn t handle the How do these machines compare to each other? modeling flawlessly Any thoughts Thanks John nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-these-machines-compare-to-each-other.34973/
Relevancy 31.82%

Allright I Radeon Beeping. Year AMD XP. 2400+ 9500, old 2 Motherboard, Nforce2 computer, m having a heck of a time with this thing I shut it down for a little bit then when it starts back up it beeps and I mean just keeps 2 Year old computer, Nforce2 Motherboard, Radeon 9500, AMD 2400+ XP. Beeping. beeping it doesnt stop Just every beep is the same length as the last one long beeps I have a phoenix - AwardBios But another strange thing also happens if I restart it it just loads up to this screen dont know what its called Phoenix - AwardBIOS v PC etc etc ASUS A N X ACPI BIOS Rev A Main Processor AMD Athlon tm XP lt ----that should say Memory Testing K OK Press DEL to enter settup -nVidia-nForce-A N X Now it STOPS there doesnt do anything I try to hit DEL and nothin happens I need some serious help here This happened before I just cleaned the computer out left it alone for a few hours and then came back and it was fine I need help nbsp

A:2 Year old computer, Nforce2 Motherboard, Radeon 9500, AMD 2400+ XP. Beeping.

ok I talked to my sister who graduated with a computer engineering degree and she said it was the memory I installed a few weeks back, yeah I feel like an *****. Apparently I didnt plug in the memory all the way in, One stick was loose and the system kept running out of memory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2-year-old-computer-nforce2-motherboard-radeon-9500-amd-2400-xp-beeping.24695/
Relevancy 32.68%

Just yesterday they hit the market.

My workplace has actually had some given to us as demos from a few weeks back(We are an Intel Partner), but rather then let us employees play with them they were locked up in inventory.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1777753,00.asp

(got the link from slashdot)

They top out at 3.6ghz. Can't wait to see how they perform against the Athlon64/Athlon64-FX. Oh boy!

So, who of you intel fans out there is going to gobble one up?

A:A year and a half after AMD, Intel releases a 64bit desktop CPU

Soul Harvester said:

Just yesterday they hit the market.

My workplace has actually had some given to us as demos from a few weeks back(We are an Intel Partner), but rather then let us employees play with them they were locked up in inventory.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1777753,00.asp

(got the link from slashdot)

They top out at 3.6ghz. Can't wait to see how they perform against the Athlon64/Athlon64-FX. Oh boy!

So, who of you intel fans out there is going to gobble one up?Click to expand...

Meh, I wouldn't mind having one...

-Kitaro

Donations?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-year-and-a-half-after-amd-intel-releases-a-64bit-desktop-cpu.23547/
Relevancy 37.84%

Anyone care to compare RAID 0 scores?

*Edit - I've added HD Tach & SiSoft Sandra 2004 scores as well

Would anyone mind comparing PCMark 2004 HDD test scores?

I have a 160GB RAID 0 setup (160GB x 2 w/ NTFS). The "catch" being one is IDE and the other is SATA.

These are my scores:

PCMark 2004 - www.futuremark.com
XP Startup: 10.177mb
Application Loading: 6.759mb
File Copying: 42.812mb
General HDD: 6.502mb

HD Tach - www.simplisoftware.com
Read speed MAX: 70.7mb
Minmum Read: 24.4mb
Average Read: 44.2mb

SiSoft Sandra 2004 - www.sisoft.com
Drive Index: 50.1mb/s
Buffered Read 77mb
Seq Read 70mb
Random Read 7mb
Buffered Write 56mb
Seq write 66mb
Random Write 11mb
Access time 7ms

System Specs:

Athlon XP 2700+
1536mb DDR 2700
Radeon 9600XT
RAID 0 with Promise Fast Trak s150 TX2+ (160GB x 2)
Drive 1: SATA Samsung 160GB / 8mb cache / 7200RPM
Drive 2: IDE Samsung 160GB / 8mb cache / 7200RPM

Windows XP
Promise Fastrak 150+ SATA/IDE controller

A:Any PCmark 2004 drive scores out there to compare with?

I'll run it on my RAID array and my Raptor once I get home. I don't think I've run 2004, only 2002.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/any-pcmark-2004-drive-scores-out-there-to-compare-with.13337/
Relevancy 33.11%

As per the norm, I got a Monday call from a customer freaking out about their server. I paid them a visit and sure enough the Western Digital SCSI hard drive I replace about 6 months ago is dead. SCSI utility is seeing it as a 1MB quantum. I told them to boat anchor that machine and get a new one. It's a pentium (i don't remember) 600MHz machine so it's a bit of a dinosaur anyway. their book keeper is the hero of this story. I taught her how to backup the server which she did before she left on Friday. I loaded backup files on an unused workstation, mapped some network drives and had them back up and running PDQ.

What would make a machine eat hard drives? Thin it might just be a fluke, virus, inferior Dell product??????

A:2nd SCSI hard drive failure within 1 year

Is there a UPS or surge-protector installed between wall-socket and PC?
If not, unstable electricity might cause that, such as spikes, brown-outs or black-outs.
Or the PSU might be on the edge of its capacity. If the HD is a 10'000 RPM disk, they need a pretty good and stable PSU.
The disk should still be under warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2nd-scsi-hard-drive-failure-within-1-year.17940/
Relevancy 38.7%

Hey guys I am working a deal for some labor to get a Dual PIII 450mhz 512k processors and Iwill dlb100 complete system with 1 GB memory. I was wondering how this would compare as a server compared to my 2700xp athlon with 512mb, 7200rpm IDE drive. How would this new system run using Windows 2000 server compared to the amd system. The PIII would have scsi raid drives (i will have to buy those) but rest is free. So comments, ideas, suggestions.

A:System Compare

Rick, thanks for your response. No no games on the P-III xeon. I was thinking of running a testing server for the cold fusion project I have coming up or using it as a internet research machine. It will make a good stable system. I might transfer my 80GB WD 7200 into the Dual PIII and get some nice SCSI Raid for my 2700xp. I'm still thinking on what exactly I need and how the systems I currently have will work. Going to be creating a SQL database with SQL 7.0, cold fusion mx 6.1, flash Mx, and dreamweaver MX. Will need to test the whole thing, maybe host it temporarily while we troubleshoot and pitch our services. Not sure what to do. Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-compare.13714/
Relevancy 38.27%

How does a geforce256 ddr compare with geforce 2mx ? I have heard some say that the ddr makes the '256' quicker than the geforce 2 mx but some others say that the geforce 2 mx's more advanced features make it faster. I now have the oppurtunity to swap my geforce 2 mx for a geforce 256 as a favour from a buddy. Is this worth doing? Thanks!

BTW
My pc has a pentium III 800 processor if it makes a difference...

A:How does a geforce256 ddr compare with geforce 2mx ?

Which card in the GeForce 2 MX series are you referring to? I would say that the GF2 MX400 is better as it is a DX7 card, and the GF256 DDR is only a DX6; things like this do make a lot of difference. The GF2 MX400 has also got higher clock speeds and significantly higher performance. I would recommend that you stick with your GF2 (if it is the MX200 or MX version, I'm not sure if either are better performing than the GF256), the sites I was looking through were PcStats, NVIDIA and FiringSquad. Do a little more research on this topic before you make your decision as I am not sure the information I have provided is solid (apart from NVIDIA's), Good Luck :grinthumb.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-does-a-geforce256-ddr-compare-with-geforce-2mx.4525/
Relevancy 68.37%

Ok this is a problem that has been bugging me for many months I have tried everything and I mean everything First my specs Intel P ghz ram Soundblaster Live Value Gateway diediediediedie sorry Alright well first off I m into making movies with my friends I use a Sony Digital Handycam and upload to my pc via a Pyro Firewire IEEE- Card Well I used to be able to do this but one fateful day I turned on my camera and plugged it in and my pc locked up I turned off the camera and the PC unlocked I thought that was odd When locked cannot ctrl-alt-delete THese process FireWire month 2 Fiasco, are the things I FireWire Fiasco, 2 month process tried Reverted Drive to when it worked nada Called Gateway took me through some config options nada REFORMATTED COMPUTER nada Unistalled drivers in safe mode and reinstalled same prob Bought new card same problem so the card being the prob is out of the pic Tried neighbors camera nada made it pretty obvious that the pc itself was to blame Gateway refused to help me anymore unless I bought THEIR card same problem Gateway refused to help me ANYWAY citing it was Sonys problem THE COLD HEARTED B DS Uncle suggested that it might be sharing an IRQ with something AND IT WAS I was so happy I moved the card the another port and made sure it was on it s on IRQ PLUGGED IT IN Lockup At this point I was ready to kill something This is stressing me out so much I think I am losing my hair I m Please ANY advice you could give me would be great I m probably forgetting something that I did it ll come to me PLEASE HELP nbsp

A:FireWire Fiasco, 2 month process

What OS are you using?

If it's an IRQ problem, which it sounds like, you can't change the IRQ by just switching PCI slots, you have to change the IRQ via the Device Manager. I would give you directions to the DM, but I don't know what Windows you're using, if even using Windows...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/firewire-fiasco-2-month-process.2569/
Relevancy 66.22%

From www viahardware com ibm gxp shtm The revelation that IBM s GXP line of drives was only rated for hours of usage per month kicked off a storm of controversy and discussion both here at VH and at other use disk VIAHardware's restriction month of GXP lowdown hard of per IBM hours 333 websites as well With little actual data to go on however speculation has run rampant and official response has been scarce VH launched its own investigation into the issue with the goal of examining IBM s claims regarding the GXP s optimum usage whether such claims were sufficiently documented and how consumers may wish to respond to the situation We ve organized this article in a question-and-answer format to allow for simpler organization and easier reading with the questions themselves designed to walk a reader through the situation IBM VIAHardware's lowdown of IBM GXP hard disk 333 hours of use per month restriction unfortunately would not provide additional information or official comment on VIAHardware's lowdown of IBM GXP hard disk 333 hours of use per month restriction the GXP situation despite repeated phone calls and requests for data Click to expand News post with more details http www dspotlight com vb showthread php s amp threadid Source from www viahardware com nbsp

A:VIAHardware's lowdown of IBM GXP hard disk 333 hours of use per month restriction

Thanks Arris!
Though i'm too scared to read the full article (as my harddrives might they think should decided to crash), it's quite nice to get some more info on how I should set up my case...

Now i know I'm going to buy a harddrive fan..!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/viahardwares-lowdown-of-ibm-gxp-hard-disk-333-hours-of-use-per-month-restriction.671/
Relevancy 33.54%

"Microsoft has announced that its next operating system will be offered as a free upgrade to owners of devices running Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Phone.

The announcement marks a change in strategy to its previous policy of charging for major updates.

The offer, which is limited to the OS's first year of release, may aid its adoption."

A:Windows 10 to be free in its first year

We shall see.......how they eventually make sure you pay through the nose for it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-10-to-be-free-in-its-first-year.208242/
Relevancy 32.25%

This is a most vexing problem About a year ago I had the worst series year return HD Video format Related after Driver BSODs a of system crashes As best as I could tell they were Video Driver Related BSODs return a year after HD format video driver related and tended to occur while playing video games No matter how many driver updates I made how thoroughly I tried to clean the drivers I could not correct it I ultimate resorted to just formatted the hard drive and reinstalling Windows It has now been a year and without warning the problem has returned The symptoms are identical to before Occurs during video games crashes either to a blue screen or I get a static pattern of horizontal streaks across the screen If I do not reboot to safe mode I have to repair the system off of a Windows CD WhoCrashed still insist it is software and not hardware based I would really like to know what the heck is going on and how the exact same problem returned over a year later because I do not want to be performing boot disk formats on an annual basis Can anybody help me with this problem Thanks nbsp

A:Video Driver Related BSODs return a year after HD format

Here is a picture of the screen during some of the more severe errors. I hope this will enable somebody to better identify the cause:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-driver-related-bsods-return-a-year-after-hd-format.209275/
Relevancy 43%

If anyone has come across any good POS software for windows lately I would like to know. Looking to setup a friend at his restaurant with something very simple, he already has a touch screen monitor and XP computer. I've been looking around for something free and simple. Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/point-of-sales-free.93294/
Relevancy 33.54%

Combining all Username & Passwords from every site a member subscribes, into 1 universal secure name and password. a service members would join to have the ease of only remembering 1 name & passW. Instead of having to remember a different one for every site. simply (add website) to existing member sites in a data base program even if they are all different names & passW; would be recogniseable. This program will save a lot of time & agro. The Idea is your's, take it Please. Make it happn & sign me up.

A:Programing a software invention of the year

Are you telling us about a program you know of (but didn't mention), or proposing that one be written (but we are not software developers here), or asking us to name one such (if there exists as you want it)?

Anyway, there are many programs that generate and manage passwords. An easy way to enter them is to get your browser to do it automatically at each site you are a member of, then you don't have to remember or search for them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programing-a-software-invention-of-the-year.159439/
Relevancy 38.27%

I'm just wondering why Linux, or why Windows..
what software works on which, what is so much better about one or the other.. and what is Linux commonly used for compared to Windows..

A:Can Someone Help Compare Windows vs. Linux for me?

well linux is free

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-someone-help-compare-windows-vs-linux-for-me.81314/
Relevancy 68.37%

I just got mine today & they installed ok. I rebooted & shortly afterward the MS icon popped up so I clicked on it & allowed it to download what turned out to be 1 more update

Ok, now the icon has re appeared for the 3rd time I think & I am considering ignoring it because I'm thinking it'll do the same thing. My MS updates are set to automatic. Any suggestions? XP Pro MCE is the OS

A:Problem with this month's Windows Update

Set IE as your DEFAULT BROWSER

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-this-months-windows-update.187239/
Relevancy 38.27%

For those who use CAD s/w, how does CADian measure up to AutoCAD ?

Is it even close ?

Does it support AutoLISP ? (unlikely)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-does-cadian-compare-to-autocad.82729/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi, for the past month or so, I've been dealing with random BSODs on my windows 7 laptop (Sager NP4658), can someone tell me what's causing them?  I've attached the dump files from the last month to this post.

I've already done a chkdsk which found no corruptions, SFC 'did not find any integrity violations', and verifier.exe (only tested all non-microsoft drivers) found no problems.

A:Frequent BSODs for the past month

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/ Out of 7 memory dumps there were 6 different BSOD error codes.  The differing error codes are usually symptomatic of a lower level problem within the system. They are usually caused by one of these things (the list is not in any sort of order):- borked (broken) hardware (several different procedures used to isolate the problem device)- BIOS issues (check for updates at the motherboard manufacturer's website)- overclocking/overheating - You'll know if you're overclocking or not. If uncertain we can suggest things to check.- dirt/dust/hair/fur/crud inside the case.  Blow out the case/vents with canned air (DO NOT use an air compressor or vacuum as they can cause damage to the system)- missing Windows Updates- compatibility issues (3rd party hardware/drivers), older systems, or even pirated systems- low-level driver problems- or even malware (scanned for when we ask for hardware diagnostics from http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html or http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html ).Please get a head start on the hardware diagnostics - they are located here:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.htmlDaemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptdManual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.htmlAnalysis:The following is for informational purposes only.[font=lucida console]**************************Thu Jun 11 20:20:10.037 2015 (UTC - 4:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\John\SysnativeBSODApps\061115-6926-01.dmp]
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (8 procs) Free x64
Built by: [B]7601[/B].18798.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.150316-1654
System Uptime:[B]0 days 6:03:49.880[/B]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for igdkmd64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for igdkmd64.sys
Probably caused by :[B]igdkmd64.sys ( igdkmd64+15080e )[/B]
BugCheck [B]119, {1, d3aad4, 53aad6, 53aad3}[/B]
BugCheck Info: [url=http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000119]VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR (119)[/url]
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000001, The driver has reported an invalid fence ID.
Arg2: 0000000000d3aad4
Arg3: 000000000053aad6
Arg4: 000000000053aad3
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x119
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: [B]X64_0x119_1_DRIVER_REPORTED_INVALID_FENCE_ID_igdkmd64+15080e[/B]
CPUID:        "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz"
MaxSpeed:     2800
CurrentSpeed: [B]2793[/B]
  BIOS Version                  1.03.03RLS1
  BIOS Release Date             04/03/2014
  Manufacturer                  Notebook                &#... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579203/frequent-bsods-for-the-past-month/
Relevancy 69.23%

My 2 yr old pc experiencing bsod about 3x a week this month, plss help

proc: amd athlon II X4 635 (quad)
memory: 2 gb
video: NVDIA Geforece GT 220 (1gb)

A:BSOD three times a month or so

An Nvidia video driver is causing this...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bsod-three-times-a-month-or-so.187188/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello everyone I m experiencing an issue with my month old gaming desktop Randomly during certain games I experience blue screens that occur at various times Sometimes I can play a game for ten minutes sometimes I can t even get into the main menu sometimes I can play for hours etc A little about my computer first I m running Windows on an MSI Z A-GD motherboard with an EVGA NVIDIA GeForce Ti GPU an Intel i - CPU GB of RAM and a Rosewill XTREME Series W PSU along with a Western Digital old PC a Windows month bluescreening custom on WD Black TB HDD and a LITE-ON Black Internal x Blu-Ray combo drive This didn t start happening Windows bluescreening on a month old custom PC until a little over a week ago I was launching Empires Total War when my computer unexpectedly went to the blue screen and restarted I attempted to play again and got about twenty minutes into the game before it happened again I then went and tried a few other games Borderlands Darksiders II EVE Online Torchlight II Saints Row the Third and so on Each game eventually leads to a blue screen in fact all my games do except for League of Legends and I ve tested my RAM with each individual stick I ve done a system restore and even wiped my hard drive to no avail I thought then that it might be a heating issue and grabbed an extra case fan and cleared up some of the wiring inside the case for better air flow but that doesn t seem to have helped much if at all Now I m wondering if it s my video card being faulty I hope it s as simple as that the card is still under warranty and I can send in for a replacement if that s the case Anything you guys have to offer will be great Here s the problem details that pop up after the crash Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode f BCP BCP FFFFFA F B BCP FFFFFA F E BCP FFFFF FD OS Version Service Pack Product I know that the guidelines say to post a minidump file with this but whenever I attempt to upload one I get an error saying quot The upload file does not have an allowed extension quot Any idea what I can do to get it up here Also thanks in advance for any help you guys have to offer ETA It also says that I need to contact the administrator and file owner to access it even though I m the admin of the computer and the only one who uses it nbsp

A:Windows bluescreening on a month old custom PC

Okay so I figured it out. I only have one minidump at the moment, I believe the rest were lost during the wipe.

Anyways, here it is.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-bluescreening-on-a-month-old-custom-pc.186201/
Relevancy 68.37%

I am working on the following PC OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version Service Pack Build OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name WS System Manufacturer INTEL System Model D GBF System Type X -based PC Processor x Family Model Stepping GenuineIntel Mhz BIOS Version Date Intel Corp BF A A P SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C WINDOWS System Directory C WINDOWS system in Blue Past the Month 7 Screens Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot xpsp - quot User Name WS admin Time Zone Pacific Standard Time Total Physical Memory MB Available 7 Blue Screens in the Past Month Physical Memory MB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB 7 Blue Screens in the Past Month Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys It has had BSOD s in the past month Event Type Error Event Source System Error Event Category Event ID Date Time AM User N A Computer WS Description Error code parameter ddd aadc parameter parameter e da parameter d System E f rror Er f f ror code d Param eters dd c d aadc c e d c a Event Type Error Event Source System Error Event Category Event ID Date Time AM User N A Computer WS Description Error code e parameter c parameter parameter f a c parameter f a d System E f rror Er f f ror code d e Param eters c c c f a c c f a Event Type Error Event Source System Error Event Category Event ID Date Time AM User N A Computer WS Description Error code parameter parameter e parameter e parameter c b d System E f rror Er f f ror code d Param eters c e c e c c b Event Type Error Event Source System Error Event Category Event ID Date Time AM User N A Computer WS Description Error code parameter fe parameter f a eac parameter f a e c parameter f b b f d System E f rror Er f f ror code d Param eters c fe f a eac c f a e c c f b b f Event Type Error Event Source System Error Event Category Event ID Date Time AM User N A Computer WS Description Error code e parameter c parameter parameter ee c parameter d System E f rror Er f f ror code d e Param eters c c c ee c c Event Type Error Event Source System Error Event Category Event ID Date Time AM User N A Computer WS Description Error code e parameter c parameter ee f parameter ee d parameter ee cc d System E f rror Er f f ror code d e Param eters c c ee f c ee c d ee cc Event Type Error Event Source System Error Event Category Event ID Date Time AM User N A Computer WS Description Error code parameter cbe b parameter parameter ee f parameter d System E f rror Er f f ror code d Param eters cb c e b c ee f c Steps that I have performed I have ran the debuging tools for windows and have logs if anyone is interested in viewing them I have ran memtest Burnin and have tested the Hard drive with seagate drive utility I have ran multiple Virus malware spyware scans and have removed all that was found Malwarebytes hijackthis unhackme spybot ccleaner windows cleanup etc I have updated all the intel drivers and Bios I Have defragmented the HD and have all the latest updates from Microsoft Can someone please help me figure this one out I love a challange but this one has got me boggled Thank you to any and all that can help me Stagnantdata nbsp

A:7 Blue Screens in the Past Month

Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 71.73 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GBClick to expand...

Do you happen to have a 1 Gig card to put in that? (removing the 512Meg card too)

Also can you set the PageFile to Windows default (if not already)

And lastly can you turn off all Windows startups and test again (possibly including un-installing Antivirus or any other live protecting 3rd party program startups)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/7-blue-screens-in-the-past-month.115571/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi

I got another 2 new BSOD's just this month.

attached dmp files.

thanks in adavance

A:2 new BSODs this month

Inside the 2 Minidumps:

BugCheck 7A, {c05cf000, c000000e, b9e0050c, 34354860}
Probably caused by : atapi.sys

BugCheck 1000008E, {80000004, 806ecae1, a10f4130, 0}
Unable to load image igxpmp32.sys, Win32 error 0n2
Probably caused by : pci.sys
PROCESS_NAME: firefox.exeClick to expand...

Sorry must go, but I put the faulting process in bold

Initial thoughts
Looks like driver issue. You need to update all your drivers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2-new-bsods-this-month.113554/
Relevancy 33.54%

That time of the year where I spontaneously feel like formatting the system and starting anew. Practically however this really is not worth it at the moment, at least until I can back things up in confidence I simply can not be bothered restoring everything. So, I wonder. Can anything be gleamed from my logfile?

Mainly I just want to ensure system is running optimally and nothing has gotten past the defences.

Thanks in advance to those who take the time to look over things.

A:That time of the year (& HijackThis log)

In reality, you should only run the HijackThis program when you think your browser has been hijacked. It's not a 'cleaner', start up faster program. It a program to find malware on a system. It's not going to tell you if the system is "running optimally". It cans show some entries that have " gotten past the defenses." Using it as a "screening tool" is a misuse of the program. It is best used along with other cleaning programs.

Please scan with Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware, then rescan with HijackThis and attach all three logs.
See Steps 4 and 5 here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/post645589-1.html

Your Java is also out of date. Update from this site: http://www.techspot.com/vb/post645589-1.html

We will remove old entries after all logs are posted. I won't go through the current log- it's best to run the other programs first, THEN rescan with HijackThis.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/that-time-of-the-year-hijackthis-log.113540/
Relevancy 69.23%

Month old PC Windows bit BSOD help appreciated Hi Folks my PC has been running great for the last months however now whenever I try and launch a D game the PC will 64-bit, old PC BSOD 7 6-month Windows hit a BSOD within - minutes of launch So far I ve up to date with windows updates updated the BIOS to latest 6-month old PC Windows 7 64-bit, BSOD memtest ed the RAM - passed tried running with just one DIMM updated to the latest video drivers installed the latest direct X chkdsk ed - no problems I m out of ideas now so would really appreciate so help Included dxdiag and last minidumps Thank You -------- Summary ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Computer Operating System Windows Professional -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - DirectX Motherboard CPU Type Intel Core i - K GHz Sandybridge-E Socket LGA Processor - OEM Motherboard Name Asus P X PRO Intel X Socket DDR System Memory Corsair Vengeance GB x GB DDR PC - C MHz DualQuad Channel Kit CMZ GX M A C PSU Corsair Enthusiast Series TX M High Performance W Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply CP- -UK Display Video Adapter - Gainward GeForce GTX Ti quot Phantom quot MB GDDR PCI-Express Monitor HP x LED Series Wide LCD Monitor NoDB CNC P Y Multimedia Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller NoDB Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller NoDB Storage IDE Controller Asmedia x SATA Controller SCSI RAID Controller Intel R C Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller SCSI RAID Controller Marvell xx SATA G Controller OS HDD Crucial RealSSD M GB quot SATA Gbs Solid State Hard Drive CT M SSD Data HDD Samsung SpinPoint F TB SATA-II MB Cache - OEM HD SJ Blue Ray Drive Samsung SH-B LRSBP x BluRay ROM DVDRW DL amp RAM Lightscribe SATA-II Optical Drive Partitions C NTFS MB MB free D NTFS MB MB free Total Size GB GB free Input Keyboard HID Keyboard Device Keyboard HID Keyboard Device Mouse HID-compliant mouse Mouse HID-compliant mouse Network Network Adapter Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Network Adapter Intel R V Gigabit Network Connection Peripherals Printer Fax Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer USB Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller NoDB USB Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller NoDB USB Device ASUS Bluetooth USB Device Generic USB Hub USB Device Generic USB Hub USB Device Generic USB Hub USB Device USB Composite Device USB Device USB Composite Device USB Device USB Input Device USB Device USB Input Device USB Device USB Input Device USB Device USB Input Device USB Device USB Root Hub USB Device USB Root Hub nbsp

A:6-month old PC Windows 7 64-bit, BSOD

No bug check string, and you should be running DX11. This is a problem with your Nvidia video driver. Do you have the latest?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/6-month-old-pc-windows-7-64-bit-bsod.181387/
Relevancy 38.27%

LAME, Ogg Vorbis, Monkey Audio, APE, AAC (which I use in iTunes
So many audio codecs out there and their various programs, but how do these stand up to each other? Are there many differences between them, which is the most popular and what do the experts use? Thanks for any advice.

A:How do the following audio codecs compare please..

LAME uses their own version of the lossy MP3 format (i think.. can't remember)
AAC is tonnes better than MP3, since the compression algorithm are audibly better for it
Ogg vorbis is supposed to be like MP3, but i haven't heard what they sound like yet
monkey audio and APE i haven't heard of either.

Nothing beats fully uncompressed 24bit/48k/stereo .wav or .aif files... or the original multitrack files

the higher the sample rate/lower compression the better the sound, but it does chew up your hdd like nothing..

think of it this way, if you can't hear the difference, then there is no difference to you, but if you can hear it then you can tell whats the difference.. (not trying to pull a Yoda here )

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-the-following-audio-codecs-compare-please.63845/
Relevancy 33.54%

the disc worked before but i hadn't watched it in a while...the first time i tried to run it windows had detected it and the video was skipping...so i tried to clean the disc and run it again...the disc has practically no scratches on it....sometimes windows detects the cd but when i try to copy it the source directory cannot be opened or something like that...the only software that recognises my cd is imgburn but i get a plethora of bad sectors when i try to make an iso from the disc..is there any way i can save my disc?

A:4 year old burned vcd cannot be read

Have you tried opening with the software that you originally recorded it?. Assuming it is your recording.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/4-year-old-burned-vcd-cannot-be-read.111782/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi, when ever i use Utorrent to download something, my computer crashes, so i tried swapping Ram ( i have 2Gb x 2 ) and if i run only 1 stick and take the other out, strangley enough it runs fine! But for obvious reasons this is a hassle and would very much want to run it with both sticks in and figure out the problem here.

much appreciated.

i have Windows 7 64bit BTW.

A:uTorrent causing computer to lock up. Had this problem for over a year.

You have answered your own question, probability is that RAM module may be defective. You can verify that by running memtest, for minimum of 8 passes (first with both modules installed, then with one module at a time), however, it would be more appropriate to let it run through the night and see whether it reports any errors. Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/utorrent-causing-computer-to-lock-up-had-this-problem-for-over-a-year.147822/
Relevancy 33.97%

So as I stated in my forum topic I have been going on with this problem for about a year now. PC for freezing 1 been year now This is my first time reaching out for help over any kind of forum and I hope that there is someone out there like me that have had similar issues and hopefully has a solution PC been freezing for 1 year now. that does not require a bat and a match Anyways I ll cut to the chase This is a custom build and It started freezing up on me when I would play COD It s not a religious freeze up but I would say probably about once every min or so When it freezes PC been freezing for 1 year now. everything locks PC been freezing for 1 year now. up I have to manually reboot the pc to fix it Some times the sound will go in a fast loop and sometimes it wont do anything It tends to freeze up the most when I play World of Warcraft It can go from freezing once every hour to every five minutes I tried playing AoC which is a more graphicly intensive game And it would freeze about once every two hours It rarely freezes when I m not in any type of game but it has frozen up on me at random while either browsing the web or running simple programs like Microsoft word As you can see it has been hard for me to pinpont the issue because it seems totaly random I have done everything to my knowledge to try and correct it and nothing has worked Below is a list of the things I have tried to fix it and my systems specs they should populate with my post I almost feel as if it may be a network issue but am not sure how a network connection would freeze a pc Updated drivers religiously gt gt mobo - video cards - sound - keyboard mice - monitor - network card - OS - etc Ran memtest no errors defraged hard drive I run everest Ccleaner HotCPUtester highjackthis AVG free MemTurbo malewarebytes re-installed OS all games I have had issues with re-applyed thermal paste tried different monitors troubleshot both graphics cards individually Updated BIOS I feel as if I m missing some stuff but you get the idea Any help or Ideas would be great Thank you in advance I forgot to mention I run a W corsair SLI ready PSU Logitech G keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder USB mouse and Logitech G headset nbsp

A:PC been freezing for 1 year now.

hmm id try stripping t down to the bare bones, minimum memory, minimum graphics, basically the minimum you can get of everything, including software, ie dump anti virus and firewall, basically dumpm what ever you can. That way you will find out one of two things.
a) It makes no difference.
b) It makes a difference.
Also I would run some diagnostic/display information on a second monitor so that when it freezes hopefull you have captured what is going on. There might be a pattern.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-been-freezing-for-1-year-now.151135/
Relevancy 70.09%

Windows 7 64 Bit OS

Computer Hardware:
Intel i5 cpu 760 2.8 GHZ
4 GB ram
Radeon HD 6870 Video card