Windows Support Forum

Changing My Processor

Q: Changing My Processor

I currently have a P-II 266mhz processor. I recieved a P-III 500 mhz processor from a buddy. Can I use this on my Existing board with out frying my computer?

[Edited by kasjr2 on 03-28-2001 at 04:48 PM]

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Changing My Processor

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi i want to change my 1.5 processor to my 3.4ghz pentium 4 processor.How can i do it is it as simple as just taking one out and putting the other one in place.Can anyone please explain what the processors look like so i can swap them and where they are located and how to move them.Also ive got an audigy sound card and what to put it into another computer so i dont have any disks or anything to install so how do i do it.And how do i put a dvd rw drive in to replace the old cd rw please explain all of the above thanks for your help.

Relevancy 52.03%

hey everyone, im changing my processor but i need a bit of help!

currently my processor is a:-

socket 478
CPU Speed : 2.66GHz
Bus Speed: 533MHz
L2 cache speed: 512kb

this is what i am planning to change to:

socket 478 (obviously )
cpu speed: 3.20GHz
Bus Speed: 800Mhz
L2 cache speed 1MB

however, this is what i am worried about.. ive read that To obtain the FSB of your Processor, a compatible motherboard that can support the Bus speed must be used and this is what it says in my mainboard manual:-

"supports socket 478 for P4/celeron processors with 400/533MHz"
AND
"Core Frequency from 1.8GHZ to 2.8GHz and up"

for quote number 1.. does it mean i wont be able to get a bus speed of 800MHz as my motherboard can only support up to 533MHz ?
for quote number 2.. will i be able to get 3.2GHz from this new processor?

thanks in advance!

Relevancy 52.03%

Greetings folks,

I'm looking to change my processor from an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ (Socket 939). I don't intend to change from the current cooling arrangement, but am not sure about the thermal compound. When changing the processor, will I need to get and apply new thermal compound?

Relevancy 52.03%

i want to update my processor go from a dual core to a quad core is that possible?

Relevancy 51.6%

Hello the unknowing one again I am still upgrading bit by bit my older PC The mobo is a Gigabyte IXE about or so years old I added in a new video card and now I m looking at the processor Gigabyte says the max processor is either an AMD Athlon G FSB or an AMD Duron G FSB http www giga-byte com Motherboard Support CPUSupportList CPUSupportList GA- IXE htm I know that Athlons are supposed to be better performing that the Durons However the only Athlon G I found was on pricewatch and was Local stores have the G Duron but dont carry the Athlon anyways probably gonna go with the G Duron My question is how difficult is it to change a processor I chip Changing a processor was told that its Changing a processor chip as simple as pop old chip out put new chip in but I m always very weary when someone says its simple Any input guides you can recommend Thanks again nbsp

A:Changing a processor chip

I would check ww.Ebay.com for that processor, use this link Ebay 1.4Ghz Athlons . I got an Athlon 1.4Ghz 266Mhz FSB for $42 there about 6 months ago. You would have to be really lucky to find that processor online anywhere else for under $100. Installing a processor is very easy but you have to be careful with the pins on it and when you reinstall the heatsink on it. It literaly is Plug-n-Play. Make sure you use some kind of thermal paste like Artic Silver on top of the processor between it and the heatsink.

P.S. Dont get the Duron, even though its 1.3Ghz your 900Mhz Athlon still outperforms it in most things like games.:grinthumb Also, if a 266Mhz FSB one is cheaper to get you should be able to use that but it will just run at 200Mhz FSB on your motherboard, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-a-processor-chip.7704/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi. I have problems with my printing jobs. My topic is
http://www.vistax64.com/network-inte...tml#post596850
I'm thinking about to change the print processor who actually is HPPRN05 and put in a WinPrint. Do I have to save any system information before? is there any danger to change the printer processor of a TCP/IP network printer connected with another one to the same HPJetDirect?. Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/139846-changing-print-processor.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have noticed that my processor, which is a 850 Mhz has been detected lately as a 700 Mhz. Why is this?

Is this the new value? What can I do?? Please help!!

(Info obtained by clicking on Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information.)

I use MS Windows 2000.

Help!! Thanks.

Relevancy 51.6%

Hello

As the title says, I wanna change my motherboard processor, and insert an SSD aswell while keeping the old harddrive.

Was wondering if I need to perfom a new reinstall on windows or if I can just transfer windows itself to the SSD and then just keep going. I was also wondering if my windows install will messup if I insert my new motherboard due to new BIOS.

Thanks

A:Changing motherboard and processor

Its always a good idea to fresh install when changing motherboards. A fresh install will minimize any issues that could arise from different hardware configurations. I've also heard that Windows setup detects an SSD and optimizes Windows for use with the SSD.

You should also keep in mind, an OEM license for Windows is not be transferable to a new motherboard. The motherboard is the one component that constitutes a new machine. OEM installs are bound to the motherboard they are activated on.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-motherboard-and-processor.186545/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi. I have problems with my printing jobs. My topic is
http://forums.techguy.org/networking/677221-problems-network-printers.html#post5555673
I'm thinking about to change the print processor who actually is HPPRN05 and put in a WinPrint. Do I have to save any system information before? is there any danger to change the printer processor of a TCP/IP network printer connected with another one to the same HPJetDirect?. Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-print-processor.694164/
Relevancy 51.6%

Help please.. I would like to change my old Pentium 1 to a pentium 2 chip is this just a straight swap over job or do I have to mess around with the bios?????

A:changing my processor chip?????

You also have to replace the motherboard! The P1 and P2 are totally different chips, and they are not pin compatible. The P2 was usually a slot mounted affair, at least the ones I've used are.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-my-processor-chip.134133/
Relevancy 50.74%

Sorry, double post check my other thread please until I find out how to delete my posts!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-changing-processor-motherboard.582479/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi guys,

I am going to change my motherboard, processor and RAM. However, I will be using the same HDD. Is it necessary to re-install the OS after I have set up the rig? I am using the drivers that come with Windows 8, so driver compatibility ought not to be a problem.
Thanks in advance!

A:Keeping old OS while changing mobo and processor

Short answer--New Motherboard=New License Key if you have an OEM OS version. Sorry

The reason is your license key is embedded in your BIOS, and the BIOS is embedded with the MOBO.

If you paid for a license key separately then you can use the OS with the new MOBO but you should do a clean install because all the drivers will be wrong and it probably won't even boot.

EDIT:
You could try to put the drive as-is into the new machine, boot off the Win8 installation media, and do a repair install. This will search for drivers that match the current hardware
Three notes:
1) Clone the drive first so that, in case of damage, you still have your data.
2) You will probably have to phone Microsoft to re-activate the copy of the OS. They've been decent about it with others.
3) If it works, immediately go to the Microsoft Update site and see what updates are needed for the drivers that you just installed

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/65266-keeping-old-os-while-changing-mobo-processor.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I m looking for an ultraportable laptop for mostly simple tasks but I will also need it Solved: a processor Changing laptop out for more taxing software like photoshop and premiere pro I ve found this Asus UL A-X that will fulfill most Solved: Changing out a laptop processor of my requirements gb of ram under lbs long - hrs battery life but it has a meager Ghz processor The current processor in the machine is the su and I would like to replace that with something like the sl for the extra power I am wondering firstly if it would be physically possible to open the laptop and replace the processor because I have never worked on a laptop before Secondly I am wondering how drastic the effect would be on the hours of advertised battery life I would like it to run for at least hours Lastly would the machine be able to handle the extra heat given off In my search for a laptop this Asus with a faster processor is the best match I can come up with to meet my demanding requirements Of course I would ideally like to purchase a laptop without having to replace parts so any suggestions for a completely different laptop would be even more appreciated than an answer to my processor questions If this isn t possible I think I m going to compromise on the weight for the lb macbook pro quot because it otherwise meets my requirements despite my preference for the windows OS I m lost so thanks for any help you can provide nbsp

A:Solved: Changing out a laptop processor

Laptops have limited upgradeability, and the processor is an area that generally shouldn't be upgraded. Laptops will only support a small set of processor upgrades. If you think you can buy a low-end laptop and pop in a high-end processor, you're seriously mistaken. The board won't handle it. The chassis won't handle it. "Opening" a laptop involves removing dozens of tiny screws of all different sizes and removing many small, fragile, pieces of plastic. Most people lose or damage at least one part when disassembling a laptop. And of course doing so completely voids the warranty, so if you break something, you're out the cost to replace or repair it.

Buy a laptop that actually meets your needs.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-changing-out-a-laptop-processor.928736/
Relevancy 50.74%

I wan to change my Labtops processor to intel i7 but im not sure whether or not my motherboard or if anything supports it
SATELLITE L755-S5244

Thats my computer
http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=3025240

I want to upgrade this to 2.8ghz please and thank you for your guys support

Relevancy 50.74%

I will be moving to an X38 chipset and a 45nm quad core soon from my E6600 and P965 chipset. Will I need to re-install Vista Ultimate x64?

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi I have an OEM version of Win Pro x DVD I Win License - Motherboard 7 Changing Processor OEM & purchased from Newegg in I installed it Win 7 OEM License - Changing Motherboard & Processor on my Intel DX SO i - which I subsequently upgraded the processor to i - I plan to upgrade my motherboard and processor again to an Intel DX SO i - x I'm also going to replace my Seagate Barracuda GB SATA hdds presently in Intel RST RAID which are out of warranty -year with two new -year warranty Seagate Constellation TB SATA hdds configured in a Marvell RAID mirror I'll use the Barracuda Intel RST RAID volume as my back-up disk Will I have MS license issues when I do a clean install of my OEM Win onto the upgraded system I'm wondering if I'll have activation problems I've changed the motherboard before but with the same processor and model motherboard and there didn't seem to be an issue I've done this with an OEM copy of Win XP in the past and didn't have any issues I'm not installing the same OS product key on more than one system I'm just moving or reinstalling the OS to an upgraded hardware system Regards

A:Win 7 OEM License - Changing Motherboard & Processor

If you change the motherboard to a different model or manufacturer technically the OEM version cannot be activated as it is tied to the motherboard. However, I know Microsoft has made some exceptions.

I'm facing the same thing right now. I suspect a problem with my motherboard. I have another to replace it but it is a different vendor and I'm afraid Microsoft will not activate it. I've considered an "anytime upgrade" from Home to Pro version but I don't know if that will change the OEM version into a full version. So, I'm stuck.

XP was different and the process was much more lenient.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/340228-win-7-oem-license-changing-motherboard-processor.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Current system is a Pent. 2 350...I now have a better Mobo(Abit BF6) and CPU(P3 500) already with it's own case and tested.

I have 2 years+ worth of stuff on the HDD, that I do not wish to re-install and/or download.

What steps should I do 1st? Should I just put my HDD(Seagate 30G), and (AGP)GeForce 2 video card in 1st, let Wiondows(98) "find them" and go from there, or what?

Someone "told me" that I could just take every peripheral and connect them to the new(er) mobo and Windows would "find the new(er) mobo" and "take care of the rest".

What are my best choices...without reformatting?

Relevancy 50.31%

I am thinking about helping my friend install a new motherboard and processor while keeping all of the other components he has. I read on another board that you can go the Device Manager and uninstall everything, swap the board and processor, and then when you boot install the correct drivers.

Is this possible? I don't know if his install of XP is OEM or not. If it is, I think a reformat would be necessary with a non-OEM XP disc.

Any thoughts?

A:When changing motherboard and processor, is XP re-install always required?

mine worked fine when i changed the motherboard and cpu but eventually after backing up my data, i did do a clean installation just to get the kinks out. you dont have to but it is recommended so you can get the most out of your hardware. i did mine backwards for some strange reason, best way would be to backup now and then change the hardware and reinstall.

note my cpu stayed a amd

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/when-changing-motherboard-and-processor-is-xp-re-install-always-required.57124/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have a Compaq Presario T P Socket here that I am having trouble putting a processor into It came originally with a -MHz that died I put a into it and I got an error on boot that I needed a BIOS update Processor Compaq 8000T Presario Changing in to support the new clocking and I had to press F to continue the boot After that everything worked fine The quot Press F to Continue quot message was annoying so I removed that processor and returned it I later installed a BIOS update and inserted a -MHz The F message is Changing Processor in Compaq Presario 8000T now gone but the is running at MHz Compaq is no help as I didn t get the processor from them The processors aren t available at a reasonable price they are rare and seem to all cost more than a and I just can t seem to bring myself to pay that premium for the chip I considered a -MHz processor but with the problems Changing Processor in Compaq Presario 8000T I ve had with the I m not sure I want to spend over a hundred dollars and find more problems A processor would solve the problem but I can t find them priced reasonably Does anyone here have any suggestions nbsp

A:Changing Processor in Compaq Presario 8000T

Never mind. I found a 2200 at a reasonable price at Spartan Technologies for about $130.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-processor-in-compaq-presario-8000t.225604/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have a Study Guide with questions in Microsoft Works Word Processor and I wanted to fill in the answers in a different font and color. But every time I click the question I want to answer, it automatically changes to the font and color of the question. So I have to type the answers and then highlight it and change the font and color manually. I have a ton of questions to answer and it is getting to be really time consuming to have to go back and change them all manually. Is there a way to set the font and color to be locked and never change even if I click a word or line that has a different font and color?

A:Microsoft Works Word Processor Font keeps changing

Just like Word, each area can have its own font and other settings.

You are going to have to put up with this, as the author did not set up the study guide to be used in this manner.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-works-word-processor-font-keeps-changing.949341/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello,I recently acquired a z600 with a quad core Intel Xeon E550 and I would like to know if it is possible/desirable to put my old z400 two quad core Intel Xeon W3550.I checked and both use socket b type soo I'd assume I should have a problem but as hardware is outside of my knowledge base I wanted to ask =)Thank you in advance

A:Changing my z600 processor to my z400 processors - CPU upgra...

Hi, The z600 series of workstations support Intel Xeon Processor X5570 QC 2.93 GHz, 95W, 8M cache, 6.40GT/s QPI, DDR3 1333 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor X5560 QC 2.80 GHz, 95W, 8M cache, 6.40GT/s QPI, DDR3 1333 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor X5550 QC 2.66 GHz, 95W, 8M cache, 6.40GT/s QPI, DDR3 1333 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor E5540 QC 2.53 GHz, 80W, 8M cache, 5.86GT/s QPI, DDR3 1066 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor E5530 QC 2.40 GHz, 80W, 8M cache, 5.86GT/s QPI, DDR3 1066 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor E5520 QC 2.26 GHz, 80W, 8M cache, 5.86GT/s QPI, DDR3 1066 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor E5506 QC 2.13 GHz, 80W, 4M cache, 4.80GT/s QPI, DDR3 800 MHzIntel Xeon Processor E5504 QC 2.00 GHz, 80W, 4M cache, 4.80GT/s QPI, DDR3 800 MHzLooks like they support CPU's with 80W to 95W. The Intel Xeon W3550 has TDP 130W .     http://ark.intel.com/products/39720/Intel-Xeon-Processor-W3550-8M-Cache-3_06-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI I don't think this is going to work. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Changing-my-z600-processor-to-my-z400-processors-CPU-upgrade/td-p/5854559
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi,

Could anyone show me the steps of changing cpu processor in Acer Aspire 5750-6493?

Thanks,
jd

Relevancy 48.59%

I have Windows XP Pro SP and version of Works Now when I start up the Works word processor and I use the quot Open quot function it always opens in quot My Documents quot When I use quot WordPad quot it opens in the last folder used Is there a way to make the Works word processor act like this If not is there a way to change the default opening folder Also is there a way to change the default location where a file is saved Also since this is closely related I ll ask this When you use the Open function in the Works wp you get the quot Open quot dialog box At the bottom there is a drop down box called quot Files of type quot It always opens with quot Works Document wps If you click the drop down box one of the options is quot All Files Is there a way to change Changing default opening Works the in the folder/directory word processor it to this Thanks royeo nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-the-default-opening-folder-directory-in-the-works-word-processor.593339/
Relevancy 48.16%

I m a little confused about what s going on with my PC Basically recently processor Changing extreme it :S Dell noise temps. state Inspiron 530 and fan reduces my Dell Inspiron Vista Home has been extremely noisy When I m just on the desktop there is almost no noise the fans are silent However when I play almost any game visit a site such as google maps open Microsoft Outbox or almost any other program that is a little bit tough on the system resources the fan noise increases from silent to the noisiest it could possibly be in a matter of seconds It almost seems like it s all or nothing with the fan noise it either makes no noise at all or makes a horrendous noise Dell Inspiron 530 extreme fan noise and temps. Changing processor state reduces it :S when I run just about any program All these programs never before caused Dell Inspiron 530 extreme fan noise and temps. Changing processor state reduces it :S the fan to make such a loud noise I decided to use SpeedFan to try and work out the problem There are some unusual things I have observed When I open a simple java browser game Runescape in this case the Temp reaches C This is simply on the start screen not playing the game at all However this is what really confuses me and I m sure you can make sense of it When I go to the quot Power Options quot in Control Panel click quot Change plan settings quot and go to the quot Processor power management quot section it gives me the option to change the quot Maximum processor state quot This was previously at so I changed it to and changed the quot Mininum processor state quot to Magically the sound dissappeared The Runescape start screen gave me very little fan noise and there was no noticable difference to the performance of the game If anything it ran smoother Even though Vista told me my performance should now be reduced And whats more Speedfan tells me the Temp is at a mere C So changing these settings caused a reduction of C and gave me almost silent fans from deafening ones What is going on S So I now don t have the crazy fan noise but I don t understand why I had to change the processor state options to reduce it I ve had this PC for years with it on for both min and max processor state and it has previously been fine no excessive noise This is a good temporary fix but I m worried there may be something wrong with my processor like it is reading the temperatures wrong or for some reason just pushing the fan to go fast unnecessarily Also I don t even understand what I have changed and is it safe to run the PC on these lowered settings The control panel tells me that from reducing the processor state I should now have reduced performance but I don t see any Or is this just because I am not running the really intense programs that require the full processor I d really appreciate any advice help as I m just really confused right now and not sure if I should replace the fan power source or if it s something more serious like with the processor Thanks nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 530 extreme fan noise and temps. Changing processor state reduces it :S

quick question have you tried opening up your pc and looking inside the fan and cleaning it out? that can sometimes be a cause of nosiy fans try using a vacumme cleaner and cleaning out the fan if that doesnt help then im not to sure what is wrong with it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-530-extreme-fan-noise-and-temps-changing-processor-state-reduces-it-s.935494/
Relevancy 44.72%

Yesterday I bought a new mother board for my PC my Processor model is AMD Athlon II X3 440 Triple Core Processor, but after changing Mother Board in system information it's showing my Processor as AMD Phenom II 4 B40 four core processor. I don't know why it is showing like this. Is this dangerous for my hardware? I used AM2N68-AM PLUS before and now I changed M5A78L-M LX. Except this every thing else is perfect.

A:Processor info is showing wrongly in system info after changing MB

It's not dangerous, but I believe you can get it to display correctly. All you have to do is open Device Manager, right-click each entry for the CPU and choose Uninstall. When you're finished, reboot and then open Device Manager up when it's done rebooting and check the CPU again. It should be showing up correctly after that, but if not then we'll go from there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/276482-processor-info-showing-wrongly-system-info-after-changing-mb.html
Relevancy 38.7%

So i got this message after i upgraded my Asus Notebook to Windows Home from What got me to check this was having my laptop Hard Shutdown when the power was at and the laptop had been on the charger all day plus the CPU temperature was normal The exact Error that s provided via Event Viewer Collaborative processor power controls on processor in group are disabled due to a firmware problem Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware This message is provided for each of my Processor Cores Unfortunately there are no new Firmware Updates for my laptop model from Asus Last Collaborative are for Power Processor Controls disabled Processor upgrade after one was pushed in October Very odd seeing as Collaborative Processor Power Controls for Processor are disabled after upgrade i got this new in December I want to know if this is something serious or if i should just ignore it An Collaborative Processor Power Controls for Processor are disabled after upgrade error having to due with Kernel Level Power Controls seems serious to me System Info Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - HQ CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics Mb NOTE my laptop has an Nvidia GeForce m Chip as well but it did not detect that for some reason Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC N JN Antivirus Windows Defender Disabled Have not had time to get antiviral software yet So is there Collaborative Processor Power Controls for Processor are disabled after upgrade anything i can do or do i just have to wait and see if Asus pushes out an update thanks in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/collaborative-processor-power-controls-for-processor-are-disabled-after-upgrade.1152536/
Relevancy 38.7%

So i got this message after i upgraded my Asus Notebook to Windows Home from What got me to check this was having my laptop Hard Shutdown when the power for Power disabled Collaborative Processor Controls after upgrade are Processor was at and the laptop had been on the charger all day plus the CPU temperature was normal I went into event viewer to see if there was any ACPI Collaborative Processor Power Controls for Processor are disabled after upgrade error's listed and this came up The exact Error that's provided via Event Viewer Collaborative processor power controls on processor in group are disabled due to a firmware problem Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware This message is provided for each of my Processor Cores Unfortunately there are no new Firmware Updates for my laptop model from Asus Last one was pushed in October Very odd seeing as i got this new in December I want to know if this is something serious or if i should just ignore it An error having to due with Kernel Level Power Controls seems serious to me System Info Asustek N JN-MH Notebook Processor Intel R Core TM i - HQ CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Core Thread Ram GB MB Video Intel Onboard MB Nvidia GeForce m OS Windows Home Upgraded from Windows So is there anything that i can do or do i just have to wait for asus to publish a new Firmware Update even though it's probably likely they won't Thanks in advance guys

A:Collaborative Processor Power Controls for Processor are disabled after upgrade

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

See if this finds any new drivers:

Intel? Driver Update Utility

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/collaborative-processor-power-controls-for-processor-are-disabled-after-upgrade-1025010.html
Relevancy 38.7%

I recently upgraded to a HP,Media Center editon pc, Windows XP, AMD Athlon 64 3800+2.4 GHz Processor.

When trying to install Photoshop Album 1.0, I receive this message, "This operating system is not supported by Adobe Photoshop Album. We support Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 , XP Intel Pentium III or 4 processor".

Could my problem with installation be the Athlon processor? When purchasing this computer, our salesman convinced us that the Athlon was just as good as the Pentinum Processor. Any thoughts on this? My computer is less than a week old and having serious thoughts about returning it. I have had problems with other installations. Am I to expect more problems with software and the Athlon processor. Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated. I am getting desperate for advice about the processor.

A:Athlon Processor versus Pentinum Processor in Windows XP

What the message is telling you is that Windows Media Center Edition 2005 is not one of the operating systems that Adobe Photoshop Album 1.0 supports. It has nothing to do with whether an Intel processor or an AMD processor is installed. I checked the system requirements for the newer version 2.0, and it also is not supported by Windows MCE 2005.

By the way, Adobe Photoshop Album 1.0 has a 13.5 MB patch for it and will upgrade it to version 1.0.1. You can get it from here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/athlon-processor-versus-pentinum-processor-in-windows-xp.440153/
Relevancy 37.84%

I need to order a new desktop for my office to replace a 3 year old machine that runs at 3.2 Ghz. The new machines that Dell offers only has this option:

Intel® Core™2 Extreme QX6700 (8MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1066 FSB)

I don't think there is a standard measuring stick that is used to compare all the processor speeds that I can find or understand. I work with CAD programs that use up a lot of resources and I typically get the fastest available and max the RAM. With all the latest software that I have to install, I need the new machines to run faster than the ones they replace.

Can anyone tell me how this 2.66GHz processor compares to my current machine? I don't have the exact specs for it, this is what it lists on the dell support site for my system - PROCESSOR, 80532K, 3.2GHZ, 1M, 533, M0.

Relevancy 37.84%

Quad processors are darn expensive You can have a hand in helping me build my new laptop Speed is a priority when I use my computer for PLEASURE I can deal with an occasional slowdown When I use my computer for a WORK or a SCHOOL project and I experience a slowdown I feel like breaking bodies or punching a hole in the wall I m buying a new laptop I ll be using it primarily for work and school I d say quad a buy I Decision processor? or time: should a processor duo of the time that I use the laptop it will be used for serious - business stuff primarily work and school That s why when I customize my new laptop I m going Decision time: should I buy a quad processor or a duo processor? to customize it with gigs of RAM and a quad core processor to have as much speed as possible and as high a flow rate as possible Is that a good build strategy My work school laptop will gt be used for heavy Internet duty gt be used heavily for programs like Dreamweaver Photoshop and Flash gt i will not be using it for computer games but note if i have to sell the laptop on Craigslist in a year or two I d like this laptop to appeal to gamers so I can sell it quicker faster gt i don t have a lot of disposable income The quad processor costs a few hundred dollars more Since I ll be using my Decision time: should I buy a quad processor or a duo processor? computer for work and school and since I might be making more money a year from now If I have to and with your advice I ll pay the extra cost nbsp

Relevancy 37.84%

Can any body tell me the main diff between the core 2 duo processor and core 2 duo processor with centrino.

Thanks
_______

A:Diff between centrino processor and core 2 duo processor

In a word nothing, the centrino branding does not refer to any specific additions to the processor, it is simply a label that is attached to laptops which use intel branded processor, integrated graphics and wireless chips.

Centrino is more of a marketing tool that Intel use to boost sales of their graphics and wireless chips, so you can pretty much ignore it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/diff-between-centrino-processor-and-core-2-duo-processor.770100/
Relevancy 36.55%

Okay.. here is one of those stupid simple things I never had to do before and can't figure out how to do it.. I know it's basic.. but .. I self taught so my training skipped around a lot.. sorry!

Basically I did a graph for a yearly set of values, not yet filled in.

My boss wants these charts to show percentages through 100% even blank, but it keeps defaulting to 0.something ranges.

For the life of me I cannot remember how to do this and on my search of the site was harry in trying to figure out a decent search range. Any help is most sincerely appreciated. I have a feeling it wil be a smack my head kind of thing.

Thank you!

Relevancy 36.55%

Hello everyone,

I want to build a new system, and I was wondering just what the differences between a sever processor and a desktop processor are.

Would I see gaming performance decrease by using a Quad Server Core or a Quad Desktop Core?

I wanted to build a dual socket server core and have 8 physical cores.

Thoughts?

A:Server Processor Vs. Desktop Processor

I dont think any games are designed to take advantage of a dual socket setup. Windows Server OS's are designed to take advantage of dual socket setups. Some newer games are coming out which take advantage of single socket dual or quad core setups on desktops. A server based PC would not gain any performance for games IMO. You are better off investing the extra $ in a good video card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/server-processor-vs-desktop-processor.137017/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hello sevenforums I have a problem size changing personalization. changing in whenever Font settings with my computer i recently purchased Here is my story This all started whenever I wanted to change my text size different by changing my DPI Font size changing whenever changing settings in personalization. settings What I did was Font size changing whenever changing settings in personalization. right click go to screen resolution and clicked on quot Make text and other items larger or smaller quot From this I changed it to from I noticed it had changed my font size to the It then made everything SUPER small when I changed my theme settings Whenever I right click and go into personalization settings I do the usual customizing to my likings Since I want to save the theme I do so by naming it blah Now I want to use the blah theme by click on it and I do so Everything is fine and dandy until I right click my desktop to refresh out of habit This is the before and after of the font sizes Before After My workaround was to set a custom DPI setting log off like it prompts me to then changing it back to again prompting to do so It is so annoying to do so Help me It is driving me crazy and I have no idea how to fix it I cannot save a theme and change to it otherwise it results in the small font It affects all the fonts soon afterwards Like google chrome will be fine until i exit and restart the program Then a super small font follows

A:Font size changing whenever changing settings in personalization.

can anyone help please

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/239216-font-size-changing-whenever-changing-settings-personalization.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I originally made one account with admin rights on my PC in June.

I added a standard account for my dad last week, but the only way I could customize the desktop and theme for him with larger fonts, non-Aero theme, fewer desktop icons, etc was to make his account an admin account also. Otherwise when I tried to open the Control Panel to customize things, I only got error messages saying stuff along the lines of "this page was unable to load". I also had broken shortcut images (generic Windows icons, no arrows) until I made it an admin account.

Now that I've made all the customizations I want to his desktop and theme, will removing admin rights and downgrading his account to a standard one screw up the customizations? Can I switch it back and forth if I wish to make additional changes or customizations in the future?

A:Changing account type - changing GUI and desktop customizations, too?

Okay, I guess I can answer my own question.

Switching an Administrator account to a Standard account does screw up icons in Computer - it makes them vanish, actually - but not those on the Desktop.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/313108-changing-account-type-changing-gui-desktop-customizations-too.html
Relevancy 34.4%

hi, my system is stock ;

vertex2 120gb
i7 860
p55a-ud3p
value rams ddr3 1333 2x2gb
odin pro 550w
gtx 460 1gb
windows 7 x64 ultimate

A:BSOD after changing already changing rams

These crashes were caused by memory corruption (probably a driver).
Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.

If you are overclocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
In other words STOP!!!
1-Memtest.

Quote:
*Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

*Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.

If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

RAM - Test with Memtest86+

2-Driver verifier

Quote:
Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Special Pool", "Force Pending I/O Requests" and "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/211240-bsod-after-changing-already-changing-rams.html
Relevancy 30.96%

Changing folder icons to show open or closed and changing default folder icons like "Favorites".

Here we go again.

I have recentely learned how to change a folder icon manually in Windows Explorer, and now would like to be able to manually change the folder so it shows the folder open and shows the folder closed.

I would also like to know how to change default folder like "Favorites" and "Control Panel"

A:Changing folder icons to show open or closed and changing default folder icons.....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-folder-icons-to-show-open-or-closed-and-changing-default-folder-icons.106873/
Relevancy 27.09%

Not too long ago I asked a similar question on here, but I keep getting different answers and I really don't know how to figure it out myself... So I'll try again

I need a new processor. My current one is a AMD Athlon XP 1800+. This is only 1.5 GZ. It's too slow for the games I want to play so I'd like to upgrade to the best my motherboard can possibly take, while spending under $200.
Of course, the cheaper the better...

My motherboard is a FX41. I think it's a unique motherboard for Shuttle computers.

If someone could please tell me EXACTLY what processor would be best, that would be awesome.

Thanks very much for any help!

-Capnbob

Relevancy 27.09%

Will this processor fit in an compaq sr5610se? http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-...CPU-/160669032898?pt=CPUs&hash=item25689ee1c2

Relevancy 27.09%

Hello I do not know if this is hardware issue or software But just before days my ASUS notebook started to behave like this and now even this on which I write this message On both I have Windows Home Premium SP installed Some have reported that SP is slowing their computers down Now I am really like Processor EKG? puzzled Because I do not believe that both have malfunctioned in days and with only chat msn internet and videos stressing them Processor like EKG? I have Norton IS and I haven t virused notebooks with something On the other I have installed fresh Processor like EKG? new Win Home Premium SP but there is same result in task manager as with this one I really wouldn t be happy if both have malfunctioned processors And I wonder how could they die so early Maybe on Linux Ubuntu it wouldn t be the case I do not know But it worked fine on this PC until yesterday So I attached photos and processes Maybe you can help me Maybe some Win update just destroyed performance of notebooks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processor-like-ekg.1024405/
Relevancy 27.09%

Some of you probably remember me asking if i could upgrade my processor or whatever, and someone suggested i go to dell.com. I did so, and got my answer. My computer will support any 400mhz FSB processor, so... any suggestions?

Right now i'm looking at (i really have no clue what is good except for advertisements, and we all know how truthful they always are, so help is very appriciated )

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80547
and
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80181-R

A:Getting a new processor.

Are you sure it said ANY..or does it havea limit like 3.2ghz? Oh and you cant just switch between AMD and Intel CPU on same mobo...what chip did u have be4?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/getting-a-new-processor.299661/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hey guys I have what was once a decent gaming machine but now I m just not seeing the greatest performance I m gonna get a new GPU processor a new for Looking but I m just wondering what processor I should mainly because I m not too knowledgable about chipsets I m currently running an i - it s a quad core Ghz Preferably I don t want to have to change my motherboard I m happy to stay within the i i series Would this be a good upgrade if I want to be able to run games well Intel i k Sandybridge - People say it s pretty stable so I d overclock it but at Ghz not sure if Looking for a new processor I d have to right away http www amazon co uk Intel-Sandy NX ref sr ie UTF amp qid amp sr - Are Looking for a new processor these processors good value for money because to me it sounds a little cheap Any opinions would appreciated plus any suggestions for other better processors Budget isn t too much of a problem I can just save up nbsp

A:Looking for a new processor

Your board doesn't support the Sandy Bridge processors because it's a different socket.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/looking-for-a-new-processor.1024398/
Relevancy 27.09%

Anybody Heard about this new chip from IBM, Sony, and Toshiba thats supposed to come out next year?

Relevancy 27.09%

I just got a new procoessor (2.8e w/ht 1mb cache blah blah) and when i boot up my computer it says "CPU is unworkable or has been changed..." so i go into my bios and it wont let me save anything, even if i don't modify anything. it just locks up at "Save changes and exit Y/N Y"

Help me please!

A:Need help with new processor

My cs is running like crap also

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-new-processor.14310/
Relevancy 27.09%

Type : Intel Pentium D
Internal Specification : Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz
Model Number : 840
Codename : SmithField

This is the processor I use in my computer, and according to PC Wizard it is now running at 98 Celsius! It usually runs at 70-74 degrees which is already quite hot, although it has a temperature control of 82 degrees. I've recently applied new thermal paste and cleaned the heat sink/fan, and I'm sure that it's socket correctly.

Obviously there is either a reporting problem with this program or my processor is actually at this ridiculous level of heat, so I need to figure this out.

A:My Processor - It's Too Hot

Sounds like you need to clean out your HeatSink/Fan.
I'd suggest getting a can of compressed air from your local computer depot and doing a thorough clean out of your case, holding onto all fans with one hand so they don't move and cleaning out the heat sinks and fan blades.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-processor-its-too-hot.123721/
Relevancy 27.09%

Is it possible for a bad processor to work in one motherboard and not another. I currently am having the issue where I am told this new board I got is tested and is functioning, but when I hook it up I get no post beeps. I have removed ram and video card and tried to get error beeps, but nothing. Checked all connections and everything is correct. My old board posts and runs with the same exact processor (athlon X2 4400+ toledo) I'm suspecting bad board. Any suggestions?

Relevancy 27.09%

Hi Folks,

For you "knowledgeable" folks out there, help me understand the differences between the Intel Celeron Processor and the Intel Pentium Processor.

I hope to purchase a new processor to increase my speed and power from my present 700megaHertz to "we shall see from your responses".

Thanks for your help.

davidrs

Relevancy 27.09%

Hi I have I new need processor? Do AMD processor but only runs at something I think thats what speed it is suppose to run DDR samsung ram X DDR in and slots ATI RADEON Do I need new processor? LE mb video card and Soltek KT -A ATX SOCKET A DDR AGP X PCI ATA USB mother board GB hard drive rpm Whenever I play battlefield DESERT COMBAT MOD online it is slow when playing on high settings however when Do I need new processor? I turn settings on low then it tends to slow Do I need new processor? down when there are so many wehicles at a time Also I played quot MEDAL OF HONOR PACIFIC ASSAULT quot demo and it was running so slow same with demo of quot STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT quot So my question is what i need to upgrade I was thinking of getting DDR of memory by same brand and sticking it in rd slot Will it solve my problem or Do I need to buy a new processor If so which one will be better for my mother board I have a inch case with fans allready installed and can install one more if computer gets hot I think my power supply is V but I am not sure Or Do I need to get a new VIDEO CARD if so which one should I get I can t spend lot of money on these parts as I don t have lots of money to spend I want something cheap and better quality Thank you guys nbsp

A:Do I need new processor?

Well, there isn't really anything wrong with a AMD 2100+ so I think it might be the video card. If I were you I'd look for something with atleast 128MB of ram on it. Its also too bad that your AGP is only 4X.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-i-need-new-processor.16896/
Relevancy 27.09%

I want to know how do you burn a processor??? I mean it literally, i want to fry my processor.

Relevancy 27.09%

hey guys im looking to update my processor and my ram... i have a 2600+ amd right now and 2 512 mb 2100 i believe for ram. i have an a7n8x deluxe mobo, but im just not sure what the limit on my mobo is for processor speed and or ram speed. plz anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. i probably got about 150-200 to spend.

Relevancy 27.09%

To play Planetside it says i have to turn my processor speed/power to always on how do i do this

A:processor to always on

MikeDG9488 said:

To play Planetside it says i have to turn my processor speed/power to always on how do i do thisClick to expand...

I'm guessing on this one that you right click anywhere on your desktop, then select screensaver, then select power and adjust those settings to always on always on always on...doc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processor-to-always-on.350940/
Relevancy 27.09%

I was just wondering which processor is better for gaming or are they around the same.

Socket 462 Athlon XP 2800+ (yes I know its a VERY old socket)
Socket 478 Pentium 4 2.26 ghz Northwood (yes i know this socket is a bit old too...)

I have had the P4 for awhile now but i just had a chance the other day to get the Athlon XP and a mobo for free so I was wondering if i should put it in my mian gaming computer to replace the P4 (which is in there now) or if I should leave the P4 in there.

A:Which processor is better?

the Athlon XP is a bit old, but that depnds on how old your P4 is

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-processor-is-better.54350/
Relevancy 27.09%

sorry got another qestion how do i find out what the biggest processor i can put in my system i have a Cyrix m 2 motherboard in it ?
Thanks

Relevancy 27.09%

I just put in a a Pentium 4 ht processor all
went ok .but the computer tern off at boot up several times so I have a look in the case and refit the fan and the cabals .boot up which then whent in to desktop I was wondering have I damaged the processor at all if it wear over heating and shutting dawn on boot up ,
thank you

A:processor

only way I'd think you could tell if you damaged the processor is to see how it runs booted up into Windows and if it continuously boots up ok.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processor.584725/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have 512 megabytes of RAM and my processor is a 1.7 GHz Intel Celeron. I do a lot of multitasking on the computer, I don't usually run it above 80% used RAM but that makes it very sluggish. I am wondering which I should upgrade first, processor or RAM. I don't have enough money for both and I'd be upgrading mostly el cheapo as it is. Which upgrade would give me more speed for the spend in this case?

Relevancy 27.09%

Hello,

Not really sure where to post this but just a quick question.

Does anyone know what was the first 64 Bit processor?

The earliest ive seen is the R4000 back in 91', but im not completly sure!

Does anyone happen to know of any before?

Thanks in advance

BS

A:First 64 Bit Processor?

The MIPS R4000 appears to have been released in 1992, the same year the DEC Alpha was, although it seems the R4000 came first. As far as I can tell, the R4000 was the first 64bit processor.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/first-64-bit-processor.359838/
Relevancy 27.09%

Ok first off my comp is
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, ~1.2GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Now i realize the 1.2 ghz isn't to good but i would like to hold off buying a new comp until the summer time.
My comp is a Hewlett Packard and i was wondering if i could update the processor?

Btw if someone could explain these things to me over aim it would be perfect

Aim=Tehtug

Relevancy 27.09%

HiI want to upgrade my pc from intel p4 to core 2 duo 2.5 ghz processor....is my motherboard will support this chip...pleas tell me

A:processor

Formanite, welcome to the forum. Here is the Technical Reference Guide for the computer.  On Page 53 you will find the information on the compatible processors.  Read all of the information on that page carefully.  It appears that only P4 processors are compatible with the motherboard.  Also, the cooling is very crucial to the processor functioning properly.  Using any processor other than those listed is risky. Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/processor/td-p/5579571
Relevancy 27.09%

This is probably an ignorant question, but: I've been using my laptop more frequently lately, and today I noticed that I'm running the 32-bit version of Home Premium, on the AMD Turion 64x2 (i.e. 64 bit) processor. If it matters I have 2gbs of RAM, and the processor runs at 1.9 Ghz.

So, would I benefit hugely from upgrading to a 64 bit OS, or does it not really matter? Am I losing speed or efficiency because of the discrepancy between OS and processor? Thanks in advance.

A:64 bit processor, 32 bit OS?

No. Although 64-bit has faster instruction sets and allows for 4GB or more of memory to be used, PC's with lower RAM sizes would suffer a speed reduction due to the slightly increased size of items in memory. 64-bit processors are able to run 32-bit software just fine.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/188052/64-bit-processor-32-bit-os/
Relevancy 27.09%

I'm building a computer with an asus p5kpl-cm motherboard and an intel pentium dual core processor e5200 socket lga775. Is it true that I can simply install and run a 32 bit windows vista on this 64 bit capable processor and motherboard without changing any keywords? Something I found on an intel blog says it detects this automatically. If I must change a keyword (in the bios, etc.), which one? Thanks.

A:32 bit on 64 bit processor

Yes you can run 32Bit software on 64Bit Architecture

Bios just needs to be set to defaults, if any issue arises

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/32-bit-on-64-bit-processor.117522/
Relevancy 27.09%

I just need to know which one of these is better.

AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3800+ (2.4GHz / 512KB L2 cache)

or

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 641 w/ HT Technology, 3.2GHz

any help would be great ^^!

A:Which Processor Is Better?

You can choose the two processors here;

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=492&model2=443&chart=186

and look at different benchmarks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/which-processor-is-better.584580/
Relevancy 27.09%

When i play WoW (World of Warcraft) and alt+tab out the game takes/uses 100% of my computers processing power. The game is designed to run in windowed mode or alt+tab. Windowed mode doesn't change it either. Is there any way for me to prevent the game from using 100% of my computers memory?

Relevancy 27.09%

I have a K7N2G-ILSR mobo that I put in a computer a couple yrs ago. The book says it will take a 2700+ or greater. What is in it is an athlon XP 2100+.
I would like to put in a 3000+. Will it take it?? I now have 1 GB of RAM.

Relevancy 27.09%

Hi every one, I have a notebook HP 240 G4 (L5W90AV) with processer Inter Celeron of 2.16 Ghz, What I want to know is if I can increase the Processor or not, Thanks in advance. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Processor/td-p/5637414
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi All

Which Processor or PC is better. I have 1 Intel Pentium 3(iii) Processor 933MHz and a intel(R) Celeron(R) D cpu 3.46GHz.
Could someone let me know which 1 is faster or better.

Regards.

A:Which Processor is Better

i use this site to compare cpu - i have found it ok so far
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/which-processor-is-better.1056546/
Relevancy 27.09%

Same as title and my processor is an amd athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 6000+

I know there is a 64 in the name but i dont know if that is how many bits it runs on because i tried installing my friends windows vista on my computer but it would never work. This could have been due to my processor or his windows vista and i want to know so i will know if i can get windows 7 or not.

A:Do I have a 32 bit or 64 bit processor

Yes, that is a 64 bit CPU. Even if it was not, you could always get the 32 bit version of windows 7.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-i-have-a-32-bit-or-64-bit-processor.134366/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi everyone.

I've built a computer for a company and it powered on fine, started the windows installation and missed the ACPI stuff. So I turn it off and back on, now I get no video. No beeps. I've tried multiple monitors and multiple video cards.
So my other tech thought there wasn't enough thermal grease.

We pulled out the processor and reapplied thermal grease. Still no show.
Stripped it down to the bare minimum, using on-board graphics and still nothing.

There was a spec of grease by the pins. So we're working on cleaning it out right now.

Anyone have any suggestions for me when this fails? Because I'm certain it's not that. She powers up fine but no display. Processor fried maybe?

A:Processor help

Culprit was the Gigabyte motherboard. Turns out the client has had the same problem before. We swapped out the motherboard and she runs fine.

Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processor-help.125657/
Relevancy 27.09%

Okay, hello and thank you for reading my post. I previously had a gigabyte ma-770 with my AMD 9950 BE. Idle temperature was about 30 C. Now with my new Gigabyte ma790GP-Ud4h it idles about 40 C. This is weird because i was getting cooler temperatures at the end of summer, now in fall/winter I get hotter reading?. Using the same software. I did notice when i took it out, there was some white stuff on the bottom of the processor, under the pins, I think it might be from the CPU holder on the motherboard but I'm not sure. Could this be the reason it is hotter? Please help this is driving my absolutely nuts.

A:Processor? MB? What?

Its not uncommon to get a slightly different reading when you change hardware, what is more concerning is that "white stuff" that has made its way to the underside of your cpu. the white suff is thermal compound and apparently an over application of it. the only place thermal compound should be is on top of the CPU heats spreader. when too much thermal compound is applied it will leak out from under the heatsink and will short out the CPU or the motherboard. if its on the pin side of the cpu i am surprised ,and you are lucky it hasn't shorted out. you need to clean up all the thermal compound and reapply. the size of a grain of rice dead center of the cpu heat spreader is about the right amount. after that use a few different temp monitor sensors and check your idle temp via your bios.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processor-mb-what.138208/
Relevancy 27.09%

i currently have a dell dimension 2400 with a 2.4 ghz celenron processor if i upgrade to this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116027

will it run a 3.0 ghz or will it still run at the dell locked 2.4 ghz

thanks

A:New processor

if your motherboard supports that cpu as an upgrade, it will run at the new processors speed. check the cpu support list, you may also need a bios update if it does.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-processor.133243/
Relevancy 27.09%

Is the processor the Motherboard? So if I needed a better processor I would need a new mother board?

Relevancy 27.09%

Hi, im trying to buy a new processor for my computer. I have a GA-EP43-UD3L mother board, and im planning to buy
Intel Core i3 550 Dual Core Processor Clarkdale LGA1156 3.2GHZ Hyperthreading 4MB Cache. My current processor is Premium(R) Dual-Core E5200 2.5GHZ. I was wondering if the Intel Core i3 will work on my motherboard. And Do i need to update my BIOS if it does?
Thanks. Oh, and if u need more information on my pc i can add my Dxdiag if you want.

A:Processor Help

The i3 will not physically fit your motherboard. Your motherboard has an LGA775 socket.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processor-help.977807/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hey, i experience lag in games that i know i shouldn't as i have an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256mb and 2GB Ram. So why do i lag? i was thinking about my processor could be the problem to this as it is only an Intel 1.8Ghz celeron processor. If i upgraded to a 3.2Ghz, would it increase my performance and decrease the lag?

A:Processor lag

What games are you wanting to improve your performance on?

Chances are it is your CPU. Celerons are not really designed with gaming in mind. If you upgrade to a P4 or Pentium D, I think you'd notice a significant performance increase.

That said, your graphics card is also starting to get a little dated. Again, it all depends on what games you are wanting to play and at what screen resolution etc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processor-lag.51258/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have upgraded my processor from a Duron 850 to a Duron 1.4, on start up it shows as a 750 processor. my mother board is a gigabyteGA-71XEH. Cant find any jumpers to alter or anything in the bios settings, the hand book for the motherboard states that it supports 600MHz-1.4GHz.

A:new processor

There have to be jumpers to select the processor speed. Check again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-processor.102279/
Relevancy 27.09%

hey everyone new here, looking for a better processor for gaming can anyone help me
My laptop is a

Sony Vaio
VGN-C140G

specs:
Microsolf Xp
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
service pack 3

Intel Core 2
T5500 @ 1.66Ghz
1.66GHz 0.99 GB of RAM

Thanks

A:What processor should I get?

i say a new cpu wont help you much but if you upgrade your ram you might see a performance boost. having a laptop for gaming isn't a very good idea

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-processor-should-i-get.129950/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi Im hoping one of best be would Which processor for ME the pros on the site can advise me as Which processor would be best for ME they have in the past I have recently installed a new Which processor would be best for ME antivirus amp other programmes which now seem too much of a drain on my CPU I notice that it is regularly upto percent amp PC is sluggish I think its time I invested in a new cpu amp am hoping I do not have to pay for a new motherboard So I hope someone can tell me the best Intel CPU that would be suitable for my system I only have about - to spare I currently have the following set up I hope I have included all relevant info Oh I forgot to mention current hard drives get quite hot so I presume I am right in saying the extra heat generated will mean I have to do SOMETHING with a bigger fan Many Thanks in advance Windows XP Professional Service Pack build Install Language English United States System Locale English United States ECS P M PRO-M Enclosure Type Desktop Processor a Main Circuit Board b gigahertz Intel Pentium kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache -bit ready Hyper-threaded total Board ECS P M PRO-M Bus Clock megahertz BIOS American Megatrends Inc Drives Memory Modules c d Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space AOPEN DUW ARR CD-ROM drive MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM CD-ROM drive SONY DVD RW DW-G A CD-ROM drive HDT DLAT Hard drive GB -- drive s n VD BT DKBBNC rev V OA A SMART Status Healthy SAMSUNG SP N Hard drive GB -- drive s n S E J DL rev BV - SMART Status Healthy Samsung STORY Station USB Device Hard drive GB -- drive ST AS USB Device Hard drive GB -- drive Megabytes Usable Installed Memory Slot DIMM has MB Slot DIMM has MB Local Drive Volumes c NTFS on drive GB GB free d FAT on drive GB GB free i FAT on drive GB GB free j NTFS on drive GB GB free nbsp

Relevancy 27.09%

Hi I m am completely lost with these new processors I need a laptop have to have it for the computer science program and I m going to Help Processor use it as a desktop replacement for the next or years AMD Turion Mobile ML GHz MHz FSB MB L Cache - AMD Turion Mobile ML GHz MHz FSB MB L Cache - AMD Turion Mobile ML GHz MHz FSB MB L Cache AMD Turion Mobile ML Processor Help GHz MHz FSB MB L Cache or mo How do these compare to the Intel Core Duos I figured an Intel Core Duo GHz would be a pretty good investment but the computer I want offers only AMD has a better video card etc The AMDs have lower Cache and I m not sure what that means I don t understand processors I read how the AMD Turion x out performed Intel on nearly everything on a CNet article but these are Mobile MLs Just any sort of guidance would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 27.09%

I've been looking into building a new PC and I'm not sure which processor is faster or better for my gaming needs. I figured whichever is most expensive has to be the better one, but I would rather be safe than sorry, so I thought I had better ask.

AMD ATHLON 64 FX 60 (2.6GHz) 939-PIN 2X1MB L2 CACHE 64-BIT DUAL-CORE PROCESSOR - OEM

INTEL PENTIUM 965 EXTREME EDITION LGA775 DUAL-CORE PROCESSOR @ 3.73GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 CACHE EM64T HYPER THREADING TECHNOLOGY

I just want to build a computer that I can use for a really long time and I won't need to upgrade it.
Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot =)

A:Which is a better processor?

The FX-60 is better. The FX-62 is the best. Soon the X6800 will be out to be the top gamming chip. The E6400 will out perform AMD's best for $316, if you can wait two months.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-is-a-better-processor.51532/
Relevancy 27.09%

I was wondering if i can upgrade my processor? my laptop model is hp pavilion g4-2220tx notebook with i3 3110M- CPU @ 2.4ghz.

A:Hp Processor

Yes. You can upgrade to any of the CPUs'  on the processor list on page one of the Maintenence & Service guide at the following URL.h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03593574

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hp-Processor/td-p/5648639
Relevancy 27.09%

Alright so yesterday i got a new processor and it didn't change my fps at all and sometimes it goes lower can anyone help me?

AMD Phenom 9500 Processor

Nvidia XFX 9800gt Graphics Card

650 watt PSU

M2N-SLI Motherboard

2 G's of ram

Alright so my problem is i seem to be getting really low frames (30-90) in games like css left 4 dead cod4 and tf2 with my new processor which really doesn't make sense, can anyone help me?

A:New Processor = Low Fps?

What was your old processor? Phenom Quad cores are not really the shizzle when it comes to playing games

Also the phenom 9500 came with a free built in error!! ( i own one ) Its called the tlb eratum which can cause machine crashes in very very very rare cases. Most motherboards will disable your tlb to stop this happening, And take away around 10 % of your processors grunt.

You can enable your tlb in several diffrent ways, Through your bios, through amd overdrive, or through software provided by your mobo manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-processor-low-fps.129281/
Relevancy 27.09%

I am building a computer for a relative whom will be using it mainly for internet, photos, and child games. At this point I am wondering if I should go with an Intel Core 2 Quad or a Intel I5 Dual Core.

Here are the links to what I'm looking at.

Core 2 Quad

I5 Dual

Would I get better bang for my buck going with an older processor, or is that a mistake? I don't want the computer to feel out of date the day I build it either. Any help is appreciated. Remember that this will not be used for anything that requires a lot of computing power, but they want a quick computer regardless.

Thanks,

Relevancy 27.09%

i took out my processor because i wanted to upgrade it, but when i put the processor (same one ive had in) back into my computer, nothing happens. it starts up and all, the lights flash, but it doesnt boot up and it tells me theirs no input signal. any suggestions on how to fix this ?

A:took out my processor

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Did you apply new thermal paste? If not, you will need to do so.

See HERE for instructions on how to apply thermal paste.

Is the heatsink properly attached?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/took-out-my-processor.53934/
Relevancy 27.09%

Whats the processor from amd rite now under 100$ im looking at the kuma 2.8ghz, the 8750 tollimon at 2.4 ghz, or the 9600agena at 2.4 ghz these are all black editions and i need the best one for playing WOW, RTS GAMES, AND CRYSIS.
I have a gtx 250
2 gb at 800mhz gaming ram
1440X900 resolution.
SO i need the best processor and i buy from newegg if you find a better website tell me but i dont want refurbished.

A:Best AMD processor

First check if your motherboard supports it.
I would go with the 2.8ghz dual core, possibly the triple, but defiantly NOT the 9600.
Now you already have a good graphics card, what processor do you have right now?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-amd-processor.126873/
Relevancy 27.09%

I just received three games for Christmas, after installing the first one I received an error stating I need to increase my CPU and I do not have hardware transformation and lighting. My CPU is currently an Intel Celeron 598 mhz and I have 256mb ram. I need at least 733 mhz or better, what should I do? Thanks.

A:Need help, add a new processor?

download everest home edition to find out what "socket" type you have for your processor and go from there. i think socket 370 can go up to 1.3 GHz.

most likely that, if the games you received are fairly new or recent, you will need a good video card to run them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-add-a-new-processor.312556/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have been looking at the Hewlett Packard site, & found that refining my search by selecting only pc's with AMD Phenom processors, that it suggests the Omni 100-5130uk and in the search results it says it has AMD Phenom II X6 1045T, but when I click on the product details it says it has the AMD Athlon II X2 260u Processor, so which one does it have?

I am looking for one that has a quad core processor, is the AMD Athlon II X2 260u, Quad core ?
Thanks.

http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homedesktops/index.php

A:Which processor?

It looks to me like it only has a dual core, thats what the X2 means, the higher the number, the more cores it supposedly has! so look for something with X4 or more alongside it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/which-processor.999438/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello everyone! Our daughter is torn between two computers. Both have the same specs except:

1. 3gb RAM upgradeable to 8 and an AMD Athlon II dual core P360, 2.3ghz with 1mb cache on die level 2
the other
2. 4gb RAM upgradeable to 8 and an AMD Phenom II dual core N640, 2.9ghz with 2mb cache on die level 2

Which is better? She will use for college and possibly her Sims 3/Medieval. If more info needed let us know. Thanks so much!

Golferguy's Wife

A:processor help please

If you could post a link to the particular computers it would be easier togive you a betterr answer. Just going by processor and ram it would appear that #2 is better.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processor-help-please.996352/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have been given a  Inspiron N5040 a05. I am trying to find a replacement processor. The spec show a 2.53 Intel core I3 M380.  It has one contact point . All the replacements I can find have 2.  I am a complete numpty when it comes to hardware so any help would be magic

A:Processor

It's not clear what you mean by "one contact point" but these CPUs are compatible with the 5040:
Celeron P4600, Pentium P6200, Pentium P6300, i3-380M, i3-390M
All are PGA988 format.
Other CPUs from the first-generation Core lineup may work, but CPUs from the 2nd through 6th generation will not.  You'd have to try and see what works -- there are no guarantees.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19984541
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi all, I have an AMD dual core processor. My XP machine was blue screening due to an IRQ conflict with an aftermarket soundcard I have. I managed to get the problem under control but recently my pc has been struggling with things like moving files, copying, opening browsers etc. Yesterday I had a lot of explorer.exe has ancountered a problem alerts.

Theres no processes running which are hogging the cpu or memory. Its taking ages to open programs
Im going to reformat tomorrow and hope its a software glitch but I have a feeling the processor is on its way out. Its only 6 months old.
I removed the aftermarket soundcard and the processor seems unable to cope with playing music on the onboard soundcard and something simple like moving a file as it blips and glitches while the file is transferring.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this struggling?
Thanks

A:Processor on its way out?

Generally cpus either work or they do not. Unless you physically damage the cpu during installation OR overclock/overvolt them, they are really pretty hard to hurt.
I would suspect a failing mb or failing pw supply before the cpu.

Post your exact system specs; ie make and model of mb, brand and wattage of pw supply, the exact ram you have installed, etc, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processor-on-its-way-out.982143/
Relevancy 27.09%

ok guys so around and a half months ago i bought a custom built x-blade need I a Do better processor? built by profesionals having Do I need a better processor? spent all my money on this computer i downloaded windows ultimate build now every hour - hours it will suddenly shoot up to my internet will get that little yellow triangle indicating limited or no connection and any sound or audio will start screaming or getting stuck according to task mannager the highest cpu user is firefox at - or maybe utorrent bitcomet at around my old laptop with windows can run the same processes as the computer i just spent on my system specs are -bit x-blade amd athlon dual core processor gb ddr ram gb x dvdrw gb nvidia geforce gt its a pretty nice computer so it really should not have this problem im in the proccess of downloading windows as i though the problem might lie with the windows build but its pretty fustraighting having to restart every hour thank you iin advanced p s also sometimes my mouse clicks double any help with that aswell click lock is off nbsp

A:Do I need a better processor?

You may want to run any anti-virus or anti-spyware scans to see if you have any malware that may cause this problem. Also, monitor your CPU temps using a program like CoreTemp or RealTemp to see if it's overheating.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-i-need-a-better-processor.133726/
Relevancy 27.09%

I want to buy a new processor and i can't decide which one. Can someone tell me which one would be faster and freeze/lag less?

The Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 (2MB L2 Cache,2.13GHz,1066 FSB) Processor

or

The AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+ Processor
Would be greatly appreciated.

A:Which Processor is better?

this is the new e6420........... id get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115016

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/which-processor-is-better.573529/