Windows Support Forum

HP Pavilion dead

Q: HP Pavilion dead

I hope someone out there can help us. My girlfriends computer will not power up at all. Her system is an HP Pavilion 6540c. It first started about four months ago, her system would freeze up and she would have to cut it off for at least an hour before it would power back up again. Now it has been unplugged and off for at least a month and it still will not power up. it just has the orange standby light on. Her moms boyfriend said to add more memory and it would fix the problem, but I don't see where the memory would cause this. Please give any advice you can. thanks in advance.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: HP Pavilion dead

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 53.75%

Nothing happens at all when the battery is in or out

Leds below the touch pad do light

ZV5230US Laptop

Client mumbled something about during the storm, but I got that 2nd hand from the friend that brought it to me - plan on doing heavy tests on power outputs and all and maybe oponing the case, but any ideas????

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-pavilion-dead.393631/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello I have HP Pavilion DV nr with Windows XP Media Center that stopped booting a year or so ago and had been sitting in closet I am now wanting to make it work With battery Pavilion Dead Windows Med DV8223nr, Ctr, XP help in or completely taken out plugged in to power only the power button works to light up all the indicator lights but nothing happens from there on No hard drive activity no CD-ROM spin no activity on the screen all these did work when I put it away and the problem then was corruption of Windows If I stick a boot up disk in CD-ROM nothing happens I cannot turn the Dead Pavilion DV8223nr, Windows XP Med Ctr, help power off by pushing the power button have to unplug it Pushing F Esc buttons do not do anything cannot bring up the bios page boot sequence choice or any thing else Question Can the BIOS go dead over long Dead Pavilion DV8223nr, Windows XP Med Ctr, help time If yes how do I fix this Once BIOS starts working I assume I will be able to boot from CD-Rom Then I can use the recovery CDs to recover the computer Thanks for the help

A:Dead Pavilion DV8223nr, Windows XP Med Ctr, help

Do you see the HP logo or is it a black screen. On the black screen do you hear the HDD spin? Do you hear the fans spinning? If you saw the logo at bootup, it would be a video driver. If there is a black screen, no Bios,but HDD activity, it would be the video card. The symptoms you describe are of a motherboard or processor that has failed.You can remove the HDD from the computer. and try booting up. If that fails, remove the RAM and clean it off, blow out the dust with a can of compressed air. Restart. If the computer won't go to the Bios screen with the HDD out, then it is the motherboard that has failed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dead-pavilion-dv8223nr-windows-xp-med-ctr-help-816578.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello I have HP Pavilion DV nr with Windows XP Media Center that stopped booting a year or so ago and had been sitting in closet I am now wanting to make it work With battery in or completely taken out plugged in to power only the power button works to light up all the indicator lights but nothing happens from there on No hard drive activity no CD-ROM spin no activity on the screen all these did work when I put it away and the problem then was corruption of Windows If I stick a boot up disk in CD-ROM nothing happens I cannot turn the power off by pushing the power button have to unplug it Pushing F Esc buttons do not do anything cannot bring up the bios page boot sequence choice or any thing else Question Can the BIOS go dead over long time If yes how do I fix this Once BIOS starts working I assume I will be able to boot from CD-Rom Then I can use the recovery CDs to recover the computer Thanks for the help nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

My hP Pavilion is dead.  I bought it used.  Was working well, except for no sound from the on-board speakers.  I opened it up and found that someone unplugged the speaker assy.  I plugged it in, and the laptop would not power up.  The LED light indicating power applied from the adapter wouldn't even come on.  I opened the case and unplugged the speakers.  Ohmed out the speakers, and found the left one a dead short.  The computer will still not work.  Dead as coffin nails.  Evidently there is a protection circuit that won't reset.  Or the main board is toast.  Where can I purchase a new or used system board? (none on ebay).    Thanks   809045-601 SPS-MB DSC 940M 2GB i7-5500U PRO (SYSTEM BOARD)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Dead-Pavilion-15-motherboard-809045-601/td-p/5741949
Relevancy 52.46%

I have this laptop I am working on. It had no power, so after diagnosing the prob i decided to replace the mobo. Well, still no power. The blue light is on at the power plug and on the front of the laptop showing power. Could it be a bad cpu? I tried the remote to start the laptop but it did not work either. Pressing the onboard power button also does nothing. Fan dosen't work, no post, nothing. any clues?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-pavilion-dx6650us-laptop-dead.904860/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi all nbsp I'm so frustrated I purchased my HP Pavilion Help! 15t-ab200 Notebook pavilion dead. t-ab Notebook on Amazon months ago and gave it a star Notebook pavilion 15t-ab200 dead. Help! review nbsp Earlier today my laptop got extremely hot on the bottom while using it on my lap nbsp It is a laptop after all nbsp nbsp I was commenting to my daughter that it felt like it was burning my legs nbsp She suggested I turn it off and let it cool down which I did nbsp When I tried to turn it back on the power button lit up and a light on the caps key was blinking but never turned on nbsp nbsp I've done a hard reset more than once by removing the battery unplugging the power cord holding the power button down for seconds to drain any residual power then Notebook pavilion 15t-ab200 dead. Help! replacing battery and plugging it in and now NOTHING happens nbsp No lights nbsp No sound nbsp No screen nbsp No LED nbsp I've help the power button down for a long time but nothing at all happens nbsp Dead nbsp nbsp I called the HP support line and reached a message that the support is closed nbsp They close at midnight EST nbsp Am I nbsp misunderstanding what means nbsp nbsp Any help suggestions numbers for a real support line or just a big old mallet would be very much appreciated nbsp nbsp -Becky nbsp

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Notebook-pavilion-15t-ab200-dead-Help/td-p/5748432
Relevancy 52.03%

I have an HP Pavillion Media Center. Hand me down from my son. Three years old. The hard drive crashed and after days of discussion with Sam, Jack, Cheryl et. al. in India, they sent me Recovery CDs. That did not work and it was determined that the hard drive was dead. Of course the parts salesman encouraged me to buy a new computer. I need to know if the computer is worth saving. I was hoping just to buy a hard drive because it has many extras that I would not purchase again for myself. Does it make sense to revive a computer that is 3 years old? HP quoted $300 for a new HD.

Relevancy 52.03%

Hey I ve had a HP Pavilion for years now Its got like MB of Ram a Ghz Intel Pentium Processor and a Radeon series graphics card not sure if its intergrated or not All I know is it s Anyways I cant get the complete specs from the directx diagnostic thing because Pavilion-Display errors-Dead HP Battery? of the following problem For the last years everytime I leave it without power for over a week itll freeze on OS loadup or programs will act all funny if I do get XP HP Pavilion-Display errors-Dead Battery? to load Its usually the time which is at like AD or AD or something ridiculous One time it was at like the th of decemeber or something A friend told me its a dead battery or something I wish I d gotten it fixed all that time ago so I wouldnt have the current problem which is as follows Usually changing the date back to normal fixed the aforementioned problems But this one is in a world of its own We left it without power for weeks and it refused to turn on The LED light would just be on and we couldnt get it to do anything We left it for another weeks thinking it was a gonner Then I fiddled with the power cable while turning it on It burst back to life like someone waking out of a coma The Loading LEd started flashing The power light beside the chord at the back switched on I then pulled the power cable out again and firmly secured it back in The computer turned on and went through its loading sequence but froze Eventually with enough times of pulling the cable out and putting it back in the computer had its sound back It would turn on and off perfectly I could even hear it clicking desktop icons as I moved the mouse But one last problem that messing with the power chord didnt solve There is nothing displayed on the monitor O I could do without the sound but without visuals its worthless So what do I do Have any of you ever heard of a PC acting like this before I sure havent although I dont know much about PCs What I do know is the monitor is perfect its just not receiving anything from the PC tower Anyone know how to solve this I really like the HP and Im now reduced to using a Gateway Windows which would make anyone cry nbsp

A:HP Pavilion-Display errors-Dead Battery?

Yep. I think you should replace Power Supply. Probably it is too old to continue. Best bet is go out and buy 300W for your HP. I'm not entire sure if it still covered warranty but it is best bet to take your HP back to staples or future shop to have it fixed for a price.

Try swapping PSU and find out. if it didnt work, try add video card in PCI. and yes, ATI 9000 Series is integrated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-display-errors-dead-battery.62187/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi there nbsp I was having an issue whereby the touchscreen wasn't working after upgrading to Windows nbsp Tried searching the HP Help site for solutions and after fruitlessly searching through Windows settings it seemed my next step was a BIOS upgrade nbsp upgrade dead Pavilion BIOS attempted x360 after I backed up the current BIOS to a USB flash drive then followed the procedure to upgrade nbsp It seemed to be successful but after the Pavilion x360 dead after attempted BIOS upgrade reboot nothing Pavilion x360 dead after attempted BIOS upgrade nbsp The power light comes on as does the charging light and I can hear a little drive activity but the screen stays off no beeps and no caps lock response nbsp Holding the power key for seconds powers it down nbsp Have tried restoring the bios from the USB drive by powering up holding the Win key B whilst booting - no response I seem to have bricked it nbsp Quite annoying as it's out of warranty and I was only following procedures read here on the HP help pages Any advice gratefully received Thanks Rupert

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Pavilion-x360-dead-after-attempted-BIOS-upgrade/td-p/5839418
Relevancy 51.17%

With or without the AC power adapter plugged in to the computer (known good power outlet), the computer will not power up.  The LED located on the left side of the computer where the AC power plug is connected flashes 3 times (white), but does not power up.  Other post I saw said 'continuous' flashing light would be the AC power adapter, but wanted to make sure that is actually the problem before purchasing a new one...  Any support would be awesome!

A:pavilion 15-p151nr dead, AC power adapter LED flashes 3 tim...

Hi @joshuaj21, Welcome to the HP Forum!  It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide: First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More I understand that the computer will not power on. However, when you connect the AC adapter the light on the power port flashes 3 times.  Please verify that the power cord is not the one on recall. HP Notebook PC AC Power Cord Safety Recall and Replacement Program Announced August 26, 2014 .  Are you using a power/surge bar?  Have you tried a different electrical outlet? Here is a link to  HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Using the AC Power Adapter that may also help. Please let me know the outcome. Thanks! If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution"button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos. :catvery-happy

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/pavilion-15-p151nr-dead-AC-power-adapter-LED-flashes-3-times/td-p/5593040
Relevancy 50.31%

Product Pavilion dv - dxOS Dual boot Linux Mint and Windows Home -bit nbsp no HP recovery partition HP Recovery Disks I Pavilion [DEAD error CARD] HP corruption BIOS dv5 VIDEO code have them but can't use them because the DVD laser doesn't work CD only nbsp Symptoms While in normal use screen suddenly had black and grey vertical linesAfter restart computer turns on and fan runs but screen is blackCTRL button flashes white light flashes pause and repeat BIOS corruption Hello nbsp I am trying to recover from BIOS corruption hoping it's not a failing mobo nbsp I downloaded the latest BIOS update for my system but I can't nbsp get this file to install on an external USB using nbsp HP's nbsp instructions for restoring the BIOS At step I don't get the HP System BIOS Update Utility screen Instead I get this nbsp nbsp nbsp My questions nbsp Is there any nbsp easy way nbsp to nbsp get this exe on a USB I have tried computers and USB cards so WTH If not can I just unpack it and create a bootable USB in another program by copy pasting the BIOS file nbsp Is there anything else HP Pavilion dv5 BIOS corruption error code [DEAD VIDEO CARD] I should nbsp try before flashing the BIOS nbsp Thanks in advance for your assistance nbsp nbsp nbsp UPDATE nbsp The nbsp BIOS error was actually the nbsp video card that failed due to repeated overheating The repair shop replaced the video card HP Pavilion dv5 BIOS corruption error code [DEAD VIDEO CARD] and repaired the overheating problem I didn't ask how and my computer is as good as new Solved View Solution

A:HP Pavilion dv5 BIOS corruption error code [DEAD VIDEO CARD]

For anyone who has a similar problem with their computer, my "BIOS error" (as coded by my computer's flashing lights) turned out to be a failed video card. The repair shop said this happens when computers overheat frequently, which mine often did. So, they changed the video card and fixed the overheating problem, and my computer is back in working order.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HP-Pavilion-dv5-BIOS-corruption-error-code-DEAD-VIDEO-CARD/td-p/5460513
Relevancy 40.42%

I m In a dilemma to need Dead 2 T2792 Supplies Ressurect Power Emachine Dead Help with An Emachines T I received the pc from a friend whom knows I work on PC s on the side when I plugged it in I found it to be stuck turned on The green indicator light was lit like 2 Dead Power Supplies need to Ressurect Dead Emachine T2792 Help it was turned on but no signal was stated on the monitor then after 2 Dead Power Supplies need to Ressurect Dead Emachine T2792 Help trying unsuccessfully to press and Depress many times did nothing so I unplugged and replugged in the same so I unplugged again and messed with button some more then replugged in nothing no green indicator light then i noticed a soft whistling and clicking sounds from power supply so I got another brand new power supply correct power supply when I plugged tower in it lit the green indicator light on tower then softly went out I tried pressing in power button nothing no response Now my question is I am pretty sure I need to buy another power supply now But I need some ideas on what to replace to get the pc up and running again would it be the switch or the motherboard nbsp

A:2 Dead Power Supplies need to Ressurect Dead Emachine T2792 Help

I had a similar problem with an emachines T2825. When I plugged it in, it automatically came on, and wouldn't turn off unless I unplugged it. It wouldn't POST or anything. After testing everything, I found out that the motherboard was bad. So that would be my guess, is that it could possibly have a bad motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-dead-power-supplies-need-to-ressurect-dead-emachine-t2792-help.556254/
Relevancy 39.99%

Nothing happens if I hit WinX, and if I right click START cursor moves up and right a bit but nothing happens. Right click an icon, very poor response, yet shellexview shows nothing odd. Had separate issue - couldn't log into to other IDs, fixed that by copying clean DEFAULT from other Win 10 PC. I've done everything I can find, the DISM stuff, the reinstallation of 'window' apps. This appears to be a common problem. It used to work fine some weeks ago, don't know exactly when this started.

System is a laptop with 16gb ram, I7, HP with hybrid graphics, build 10586 / 1511 up to date HOME.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/winx-dead-also-right-click-start-button-dead-1099553.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Computer was given to me because the cdrom was dead.
The tick of death started, so the harddrive is dead too(it is dead now sure)
XP licence is stuck under laptop.

Pity to throw this laptop away, I would liket to get XPback on, but failling that anything is accepted.

Relevancy 39.13%

hi sony vaio xp sp lots of peripheral usage we have front and rear usb ports digital cameras printers mp players one morning when switching the usb printer dead Solved: all dying...DEAD. usb ports....not cable from the laptop back to the front usb port on the desktop the computer froze and NONE of the usb s front or back have worked Solved: all dead usb ports....not dying...DEAD. ever since important to note is that we do lots Solved: all dead usb ports....not dying...DEAD. of plugging unplugging usbs for the above devices what we have tried to awaken our usb s keep in mind we are in the early learning stages of computer knowledge static discharge boot reboot safe mode reinstallation of usb root etc system restore didn t work no matter how far back we went last ditch chance is a system recovery so we bought an external hard drive and are backing up as with everything Solved: all dead usb ports....not dying...DEAD. we do not without problems but that is another post here in preparation for the recovery any other clear step by step advice for us thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 39.13%

Hi

my toshiba laptop was dead, the powerlight came on, the hard-disk was spinning but the screen remained blank.
I tried everthing , stripping it completely, trying a new ram and narrowed the problem to the motherboard or the cpu. i.e I can conclude that the problem is with the the mobo or the cpu.
This was a month ago.

Today I switched on again and voila! it worked, the bios loaded! I had removed the hard-disk, so switched it off, attached the HD and started it up again.. this time it didn't work. And hasn't since. I have again stripped it down , but it still doesn't work.
CAn anyone plzzzzz exlplain what is going here?? I mean it started , that means nothings fried, right??

Thanks

btw the fan spins for exactly 5 seconds before turning off.

A:Dead laptop came back to life, now dead again

there is something like a "hardware reset" available on many laptops.
- try to plug out everything except cpu and memory
- remove the battery and do not attach the power supply
- open the lid and hold the power on button for like 20 seconds
- plug everything back in and try to boot
that worked for me for some compaq and dell laptops which did act like yours

my two cents...
mscrx

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dead-laptop-came-back-to-life-now-dead-again.94468/
Relevancy 39.13%

I'm working on a 10-yr old HP pavillion pc. The pc would not turn on at all, monitor displays 'no signal'. the pc lights flicker. I had an older atx power supply and tried that- it worked. so I know that the old power supply was bad. the case was VERY dirty. almost all the vent holes were clogged. even after I tried my 'new' power supply, the cpu fan does not come on and I still get 'no signal' on monitor (the hard drive/cdrom drive DO come on). I'm thinking the power supply blew, taking the mobo with it. I don't want to spend alot of time on this, but can anyone offer any thoughts on this? thanks.

A:power supply dead;cpu fan dead,mobo?

A 10 year old system that you don't want to spend a lot of time on. What can I say?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-dead-cpu-fan-dead-mobo.362828/
Relevancy 37.84%

Hi all, I've been through 3 harddisks now on my 3 year old system(8800 gt, 4 gb ram, e8400). Every (aprox) 6 months my harddisk dies(I think). On boot the bios will only read my two dvd drives, then proceed to "checking ide drives" and check for abnormally long time, and finally the nvidia boot agent fails to boot and I get some mac adress showing up in bios before I have to shut it down. What can be the cause to all my dying hdd's?

I tried:
Replugging the sata cable and try different slots.
Checking if there is any hdd in under the voltage perimeters on bios and I can't seem to find my hdd anywhere!
Can a faulty sata wire even be the cause?
Help! Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/harddisk-dead-cables-dead.837145/
Relevancy 37.84%

Ok heres my issue I have a wireless lan setup I my Is Brain being I Dead Dead? am Router or am using a Linksys router WRT GL This router was working fine for the longest then one night a power shortage hits it comes back up and everything seems fine But Is my Router Dead or am I being Brain Dead? now my LAN game cannot play I had a heck of a time setting it up to play and finally had been using Hamachi so I could create a makeshift VPN and have my friend play with me over the net So my setup was like this PCs behind a router played with PC on the internet One of the PCs behind the router would ALWAYS host Hamachi worked perfectly and everything would work so long as the firewalls were down Then that outage happened and I could no longer play My problem is I cant even play locally so now I know something is up with my router At least I think something is up I have tried everything my LAN is working I can share files and folders between the two PCs and ping them But as soon as I go to play the game Neither computer sees the other persons game I am in utter AWE and shock cause I have tried everything I want to purchase a new router to see if thats the problem but I am not sure what to do My router allows me to go online ping the each other and even share files So I am really at a loss Does anyone know any program I could use to monitor ports and whats happening when the game starts Or maybe a networking consulting company in the NY NJ area Im really desperate at this point and wouldn t mind paying for this solution cause its frustrating Its one of those problems where ya know you can fix it but when ya get into it its sucks hours out of you nbsp

A:Is my Router Dead or am I being Brain Dead?

If I were you I will try to reconfigure the router after you upgrade the firmware of your Linksys and try to play online again

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-my-router-dead-or-am-i-being-brain-dead.557099/
Relevancy 37.84%

*as Noel tidy beard would say?

i have just been given a 200Gb Western Digital HDDm which appears to be faulty
after connecting it it storts to whir as it spins, then makes a clicking noise (as though a gear has been dropped) and stops.

does this mean it's dead or could it be salvageable?

cheers

Relevancy 37.84%

Here s is hard drive When dead a dead not a first for me usually when a hard drive dies it s dead end of story I have had hard When is a dead hard drive not dead drives in my system A brand new one When is a dead hard drive not dead gig and since my bios doesn t support over the ish limit I used an overlay program to get the drive recognized Before this I also had hard drives all varying sizes with no overlay programs As each hard drive had an operating system I could access my bios setup and boot from either of the three After I installed the gig with the ezbios yes I installed it on the other two drives as well everything was happy except for the fact I could no longer boot independently to the other drives When is a dead hard drive not dead I thought no biggie Still everything happy This morning turned on computer tried to access the gig hard drive for some files and the click click hard time trying to access but finally it did sooooooooo then I rebooted and guess what no gig drive Wonderful disconnected the other drives tried to boot to that one no operating system rebooted again physical medium error not going to be a good day Tried booting with a boot disk fdisk politely tells me no fixed c drive present lovely Downloaded the recovery program recommended by Slithy thanks hope you re reading this too and it would not even acknowledge that the drive existed The drive was still being seen in the bios correctly Downloaded the Maxtor drive diagnostics and got all the lovely you re in deep doodoo error messages so went to the RMA site and proceeded to request RMA as the drive has one more year on warranty There REALLY isn t that much on the drive of importance As the RMA page needed info from the top of the drive I removed the drive from my system it was quite warm to the touch but I didn t give that too much more thought A few hours later I thought what the heck I m going to try it in my other computer before I call in the chariots and it boots up after running thru scandisk warning me of shutdown errors and requesting I run scandisk in Windows I am now transferring files over the network to another hard drive Any ideas why it would report dead in so many ways and then boot up like nothing happened And I didn t even put it in the freezer God I hope Alex Ethridge doesn t see this thread he ll blame it on my overlay program nbsp

Relevancy 37.84%

heyo,

so the problem is that about four people went through troubleshooting this PC before it finally came to me. The backstory is one day computer is turned on, hard drive not reading, person #1 gets her to buy a new HD and so they install. Person #1 can't seem to get it to read, so person #2 starts putting software on it. Approx. 2 hours into it, computer just powers off. Person #2 passes to person #3 who says bad power supply and replaces it.

Now, I being #4, have a comp with a new HD and new power supply. When you hit power switch, all of the fans "twitch" for less than a second and then silence. That makes me think bad board, but due to the infinite things other people may have done so far, I hesitate to replace until I'm sure I've got a good grip.

Any ideas? Any direction would be sweet.

Rabbo

Relevancy 37.84%

GOOGLE CHROME HAVING PROBLEM WITH "MANIFESTO.JSON" FOLDER

A:GOOGLE DEAD WITH MASSAGE "HE'S DEAD JIM"

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.===Error: "He's Dead, Jim!"https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1270364?hl=en===If you can download the version of this tool for your operating system.Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (64 bit)Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (32 bit)and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.Press Scan button.It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.===

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573656/google-dead-with-massage-hes-dead-jim/
Relevancy 37.84%

NO viruses found from using AVG free top IE dead Desk launch also won't dead edition After I downloaded again My IE sp isn't in the program lists anymore the files are there but ie won't reinstall My spyware is spybot search and destroy and Ad aware se neither one will launch Highjack this works and don't come up with anything new Error fixer works and the same nothing new No Email working either except my direcway email Error when trying to launch IE or other applications on Desk top is Wininet DLL file is linked to missing export Shlwapi dll ShregGetValueW I am running Win se and thank goodness I am on Direcway and using firefox browser otherwise this computer would make a good target on the shooting range I have tried everything I can think of to correct this problem I can download downloads but can't launch Error also says my internet connection is'nt there I am on Direcway satillite and it is working because my Firefox is working great HELP

A:Desk top dead won't launch IE dead also

How old is ur computer for one? I would suggest just backing up anything you need from this computer and fdisk your hard drive and start fresh. If you computer has the specs...i would suggest goin to XP.....98 is way to old anymore and has too many vulnerabilities. Thats what i would suggest, it will take less time then finding out all the stupid missing IE errors and all that stuff.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/desk-top-dead-wont-launch-ie-dead-also-91101.html
Relevancy 37.84%

Hello

Lately, my pc had high temperature problems, obviously caused by lot of dust, stored on the cpu cooling system.
So I decided to clean the mess!
I removed the cpu cooling system, the cpu, cleaned everything, and put them back together. I have done this many times, but this time I forgot to apply thermal paste, on the cpu surface.
After the power on, I got only fan activity, no beeps and black screen only.
I checked the cpu on another pc and it appeared to be dead.

I would like to know: Is there any chance for other parts(mobo, vga card, memories) to have been damaged?

Also, I have a spare cpu, little slower than the previous, same socket although. Is there any danger to damage the spare cpu, if the mobo is already damaged?

Thank you in advance.

A:Cpu dead?? Mobo dead?? All dead??

READ: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic53866.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-dead-mobo-dead-all-dead.88551/
Relevancy 36.98%

Dear everybody! I'm going to buy more 8GB Crucial ram for my laptop. Currently i have 4GB. So i will have 12GB ram total. So Could anyone give me some advices about this. Is it ok ? Is it compatible with my device ?  Thank you.  

A:HP-Pavilion-17-f100-Notebook-PC-series - HP Pavilion Noteboo...

@0xaddr? Memory Supports the following configurations: ? 12288 MB (8192 MB×1+ 4096 MB×1; not supported on computer models with a 32-bit operating system) Your manual here. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04427554 REO

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Pavilion-17-f100-Notebook-PC-series-HP-Pavilion-Notebook/td-p/5748896
Relevancy 36.98%

The sound on my notebook works fine until I connect it via HDMI to an HP Pavilion 24xw monitor.  Then the audio disappears.  If I disconnect it, the audio comes back. I have tried going to the 'Sound' section of the control panel.  There are two options:Speakers Realtek High Definition Audio HP 24xwThe default is Speakers Realtek.  When I use the test facility my notebook plays the test sound.  I have updated to the latest version of the driver. Can someone help with why when plugging in the monitor the audio disappears from my notebook? Thank you so much!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/HP-Pavilion-Gaming-DPGEK44-connected-via-HP-Pavilion-24xw/td-p/5763908
Relevancy 36.12%

I have a Genuine Microsoft DVD DV4 not does ... Pavilion internal Pavilion UEFI show dvd using for Windows When I put the Bios in UEFI boot mode It does not boot from the DVD or Pavilion DV4 Pavilion using UEFI does not show internal dvd ... if i use a USB bootable stick nbsp formatted using APT format When I hit esc on boot and select the boot devices to boot from nothing is shown nbsp If nbsp I let it just try to boot it give me a message that no bootable image on hard disk It is a new hard nbsp When I put it in legacy support mode it will boot either the USB or the internal DVD but I want to use UEFI and the new APT format for security What device can you buy so this laptop nbsp will boot something that is portable media on this bios nbsp It came with this format on the original hard drive with windows nbsp Thanks Buford nbsp HP Pavilion DV - cl with INSYDE F bios from latest update

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Pavilion-DV4-Pavilion-using-UEFI-does-not-show-internal-dvd/td-p/5787572
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi, I just bought 2 laptops today and wanted it to be in Windows 7 64 bit instead of Windows 10.May I know where to get the Winows 7 drivers?I had tried to search around but I couldn't get Win7 driver.Can you provide me? The laptops I just bought are:HP Pavilion 14-ab175TXHP Pavilion Notebook - 14-ab161tx

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/HP-Pavilion-14-ab175TX-amp-HP-Pavilion-Notebook-14-ab161tx/td-p/5636669
Relevancy 36.12%

..........hello,

a simple question......will a HP Pavilion 15-n034sa motherboard fit into a HP Pavilion 15-n083sa ?

help me obi-wan youre my only hope!!

A:will a HP Pavilion 15-n034sa motherboard fit into a HP Pavilion 15-n083sa ?

Actually that's a hard question, generally its not possible to install another motherboard, sometimes it is. In this case one is an AMD platform and the other is an Intel platform, there could be tons of differences in mounting holes, physical design, clearance, connectors, heat dissipation requirements, cooling systems, etc. Laptops are not like desktops that use more standardized designs.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-a-hp-pavilion-15-n034sa-motherboard-fit-into-a-hp-pavilion-15-n083sa.1143967/
Relevancy 36.12%

I have a Compaq Persario A Laptop Vista Home Premium Dual Intel CPU T GHz Disk Drives Generic-Multi-Card USB Device Hitachi HST K SA USB Controllers Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - USB Mass Stroage Device YES it is misspelled USB Root Hub USB Root Hub USB Root Hub USB Root Hub It appears and are not working My laptop has two USB ports on the right side they stopped working last dead! needed. It's port dead last USB Help port. my dead year and was never able to get them to work again On the left side I have one USB port and a multi-card reader Now the last USB port has suddenly stopped working The Enhanced USB Controller in Device Manager controls the multicard USB port dead dead dead! Help needed. It's my last port. reader and the built-in webcam This works fine The other USB port on the left side of the computer just above the multicard reader does have power When I plug in my external HD the lights come on but it will not recognize it as a drive being there I ve gone into device manager and uninstalled and reinstalled I ve disabled and enabled There is nothing in this computer s BIOS to enable any USB device I have updated drivers I have scanned for hardware changes I ve also unplugged and removed the battery and let it set overnight and still nothing I ve also added Add the ForceHCResetOnResume registry value for the USB host controller as described below Click Start type regedit in the Start Search box and then click regedit exe in the Programs list Locate and then click registry subkeys that resemble the following HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control Class FC E -C - CF- - Four-digit number Notes In this step Four-digit number is a placeholder for the USB devices in the system In this step you must locate the registry subkey by using the value that you noted in Step j For example if the driver key from Step j is fc e -c - cf- - then you must look for HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control Class FC E -C - CF- - On the Edit menu point to New and then click DWORD Value Type ForceHCResetOnResume for the name of the DWORD and then press ENTER Right-click ForceHCResetOnResume and then click Modify In the Value data box type and then click OK I ve also added - http support microsoft com kb Disable the Selective Suspend feature follow these steps Click Start and then click Run Note If you are running Windows Vista click Start and then use the Start Search box Type regedit and then click OK Registry Editor opens Locate and then click the following registry subkey HKEY LOCAL MACHINE System CurrentControlSet Services USB If the DisableSelectiveSuspend registry entry is present double-click it If it is not present create the entry To create the entry follow these steps On the Edit menu point to New and then click DWORD Type DisableSelectiveSuspend and then press ENTER On the Edit menu click Modify In the Value data field type to disable the Selective Suspend feature and then click OK Still only powers up my external HD but does not recognize it as a drive Nor does it recognize any other USB device Heeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllppppppppppp As you can tell I ve done all I know to do at this point Deb nbsp

Relevancy 34.83%

I have PC: PSU? Dead Dead, Totally a friend whose PC has as of late been experiencing failure to Dead, Totally Dead PC: PSU? come out of hibernation Instead of shutting down Dead, Totally Dead PC: PSU? at the end of the day the user would simply put the PC in question into Hibernation This could go on for long periods of time days at a time without a shutdown or reboot The problems started with the resume being very very slow when the keyboard and or mouse was used to quot wake up quot the PC and then finally the PC stopped resuming from Hibernation altogether When this would happen the PC was shut down hard and rebooted That worked for a while but the reboot was extremely slow or the PC would refuse to boot into Windows Dead, Totally Dead PC: PSU? At this point in time the PC refuses to restart at all By failing to restart I mean the PC is DEAD No fans spin-up when the power is turned on no blinking lights absolutely nothing happens Think quot doornail quot Without me having had a chance to look at the PC itself my first assumption is that the PSU is simply shot and needs to be replaced this is an eMachine we re talking by the way model and spec s unknown to me right now I have an old motherboard lying around with a CPU HSF a video card and I might have a stick of RAM lying around that would fit Could I double-check the PSU on the dead PC by connecting the main power connection to this older mobo to see if in fact the PSU is dead I m assuming by connecting the main power connector that when I switch on the PSU the HSF and fan on the video card would at least spin up or not telling me for sure if the PSU is dead and needs to be replaced or not Correct Also anything else that you could suggest that might cause the symptoms described Suppose it s NOT the PSU What else should I look at I ll check the obvious things of course like connections and so forth but any other ideas Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 34.83%

Hello everyone I gave my PC to my yrs niece she Motherboard or both? dead? CPU's dead? used for only days and boom The whole thing dropped dead I have been using for almost year without any major problems The spec - PIII MHz overclocked to MHz - MB PC SDRAM was on MB but I took out MB when I gave it away - Motherboard is Gigabyte GA- VX - X chipset VT CPU's dead? Motherboard dead? or both? C X VIA Apollo Pro A - VT C A - Inno D GeForce MX MB DDRAM - The rest is just standard CDROM X FDD amp GB HDD - W PSU I have taken the extra fan in the back of the PC out when I gave the PC to my niece - Was running Windows but I installed XP Home Ed coz my niece likes it According to my niece - when I asked her what happened - It was quot working fine last night but not today quot sigh after lot of promises that I won t get crossed if she tell me the true she said she was playing CD music then the machine hang so she put restart done that a few times and then the whole thing gone sighhhhhh Now when it turned on no signal sending to the screen screen stay at black - standby mode although the CPU fan the graphic card fan amp PSU fan still running the orange light on motherboard is on per normal no beeping at all from the m b to indicate that something has gone wrong i e RAM is not working light in the front panel is not light up when I press the quot Reset quot button I can see the green light underneath the HDD is turn on then off I reset the clock back to MHz but nothing changed replace the graphic card but monitor stayed at standby mode I thought based on experiences from the past that the CPU is fried overheat coz I took the back fan out hence system freeze I went to buy another CPU this time is a Celeron GHz Micron FC-PGA replace the PIII MHz but nothing changed the whole thing remain the same CPU fan Graphic card fan and PSU fan start up as soon as I plug in the power cord can t turn off by using the power button the front panel and the LED in the front panel is off What do you think the problem is The motherboard this time Please help Thank you for your time and advice PS Monitor tested on my other machine and it works fine so the problem is not from monitor nbsp

Relevancy 34.83%

Working on a computer which won t POST I have Dead dead CPU? MOBO or it narrowed down to the mobo or CPU but before I start sending things in for warranty work I would like to find out for sure which Dead MOBO or dead CPU? piece is dead The only thing I really have to go on is this When I press the power button the PS and case fans spin but the monitor light stays amber and the CDRW drive blinks When I swap the power supply for another good one I don t even press the power button and the fans will quot tick quot Meaning that they turn a quarter inch then stop turn a quarter inch then stop etc When I press the power button with this PS connected nothing turns on The ticking makes me think it s the mobo but I am unsure Is there anything else I can do to test either piece out It s a socket mobo cpu and I don t have another CPU to test with Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 34.83%

I build a computer last December see below this was the recommend build for AMD at system went dead dead...really the time It s been working fine until today I system went dead...really dead put the system to sleep for a while and when I tried to wake it no response so I powered down and did a restart Absolutely nothing happened HD light went on for about a second and then nothing All fans spin and that s about it Couldn't get the BIOS to come up So I pulled the cover and checked all connections and even tried to boot from system went dead...really dead a different HD Still nothing This is when the panic starts to set in I decided to try unplugging the system and waiting a few seconds and when I did it booted normal and everything is cool Any idea what s going on here Should I be concerned that I have a component going bad Does unplugging the PS reset something I m stumped x ASUS HD - GD Radeon HD GHz Edition GB x Microsoft Windows - -bit - OEM - OEM x AMD FX- Zambezi GHz Socket AM Quad-Core D x ASUS M A LE R AM AMD SATA Gb s USB x G SKILL Ripjaws X Series GB x GB -Pin DDR x Seagate Barracuda ST DM GB RPM MB C - OEM x XFX Core Edition PRO W P - S-XXB W ATX x ASUS X DVD Burner - Bulk X DVD R X DVD RW X - OEM

A:system went dead...really dead

Possible the Psu needed to recycle and it would have started after a while anyway but your plugging and unplugging speeded that up is all, but that is what it sounds like.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/system-went-dead-really-dead-829410.html
Relevancy 34.83%

My HP Pavilion 500-205t was destroyed by a lightning strike. The HD is o.k. I have purchased an HP Pavilion 500-490 because the specs were very close.  I  want to use my 205t HD. Both computers are Core i3-4130, have 1 TB 7200 SATA 6G 3.5 HDs, same OS (Windows 7 Pro 64). My question is:  can I swap them out, or do I need to get an external HD enclosure and copy the 205t to the 490? If I need the external HD enclosure, looks like aluminum would be best, but would like recommendation for one which would hold my HD.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Can-I-install-my-HP-Pavilion-500-205t-HD-in-HP-Pavilion-500/td-p/5660060
Relevancy 34.83%

I would like to connect my HP Pav 23-1010t All in One Desktop to my HP Pav dm4 laptop.  For the purpose of switching between the two, using the HP Pav 23 video/monitor, keyboard and mouse to control what is on the laptop.  Will a KVM switch work?  Or some other swtich or cables?   

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Connect-HP-Pavilion-dm4-Laptop-to-HP-Pavilion-23-All-In-One/td-p/5646024
Relevancy 34.4%

Our printer should have an odometer....

Is there any way to tell besides trial and error whether the original printer cable needs replacing or the printer needs replacing?

Relevancy 27.95%

We have a Dell that has a few years on it. It has been going downhill but now I can't get it to start up. I start it, it sits on the www.dell.com page then goes to a black screen that says invalid boot diskette - insert boot diskette in A: I don't have any boot diskette that I know of, what do I do to try and get the system started?

Relevancy 27.95%

Story is as follows people
Acer computer 18 months new.xp media centre,pentium4 etc.
I left the system on last night as i have done occasionally before & when i got up it was off.
I tried to switch it on & nothing happened.
I tried a different power cord & power point & still nothing.
I left it unplugged & went to work for the day.
I came home about ten hours later & plugged it in & hey presto it started until it got to welcome to windows screen & kafutt it went dead again.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Keep up the good work.

Relevancy 27.95%

i tried to reinstall my ram now my pc has no signal to monitor no green light just red light no beeb code no boot but all the fans run

A:s.o.s dead pc

First, remove the memory and write down all the stuff on the label... You need to assure you have the correct modules for what the computer wants... If you don't know for absolute sure, go to www.crucial.com and enter all your parameters... see what Crucial says you should have. Then go to www.kahlon.com and do the same thing.
Once you are certain you have the correct modules, then be very certain they are slowly but firmly seated and try again.
Still no work?
Then remove the new memory, and re-install the old memory to see what happens.
Then get back to us if still nothing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/s-o-s-dead-pc.79472/
Relevancy 27.95%

My pc goes to the windows page then goes black. Will it go that far if hdd is dead? It won't go in any of the safe modes. i blew out the dust and reseated the agp card and still nothing. Any kind of info is appreciated, maybe I'm not even posting in the the correct board. Thanks in advance. I didn't have time to search the site tonight to see if this is some where else and I apologize for imposing on your time if this a dumb question.

A:How do u tell when hdd is dead?

since no one answered, I would try a install cd of some sorts to see if can boot up on a cd drive and read the hdd. You might try one of the "live cd's" like knoppix or Puppy( an 80mb download). You can bootup the live cd and try to mount the hard drive. If you can read some of the files on the hard drive then it is probably still good but would need to be formatted and install windows again to be used. Sometimes the "master boot record" could be ruined and can be fixed by booting up with a "windows intsallation cd" and type "fdisk /mbr" or "fixmbr" at a boot prompt.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-u-tell-when-hdd-is-dead.74100/
Relevancy 27.95%

Alright ive putmyself to the task of trying to fix my g f's laptop and it just keeps getting worse The first problem was I think she had some sort of almost Dead... Its malware or virus and it was changing things around with her computer So I downloaded Malwarebytes and the free Norton AV and did a scan Its almost Dead... The malwarebytes came up with about infected files so i got rid of all of them and her computer seemed to run fine after that Now its kind of snowballed into somthing horrible I don't have a windows xp cd nor do my friends trust me i wanted to use that from the beginning and now a list of problems Internet explorer was the first thing she complained that she could get online with everything else except that then it just out of nowhere quit opening closing by itself asoon as you open it then alot of other programs like that started doing it WoW Itunes Malwarebytes Norton etc etc and now It just randomly runs windows when you boot it Oh and safeboot isnt working at all either just a black screen All the solutions ive thought of just arnt working I believe she just has a paperweight PLEASE HELP

A:Its almost Dead...

what brand and model laptop
tap f8 when booting and from the options menu try
last known good configuration

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/its-almost-dead-339578.html
Relevancy 27.95%

sorry my first post is asking for help, but here goes

got a new pc couple of months ago, working fine,

got a virus, but couldnt be bothered to sort it there and then, so turned pc off

turned on next day, and i think i got rid of it, then left the pc on all day came back and it was turned off

now it wont turn on at all, not lights or anything come on

but wen i hit the power button, one of the fans does still twitch (altho that could jus be a cap discharging)

is this gonna be the psu? and is it definately nothing to do with the virus?

thanks, all help grately appretiated

A:psu dead...i think

You May Need To....

This is an issue you're going to have to solve with a known good PSU and/or a digital voltmeter. If your virus infection has gotten as far as the OS/BIOS power dialog it seems likely that you would need to replace the hard drive, or at least have it wiped. Some viruses survive a cold reboot, and some do not.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/psu-dead-i-think.73963/
Relevancy 27.95%
Q: Dead PC

I have a HP Deskpro EN series P600 PC. I changed CMOS battery on it because of rebooting every time I turned on the machine. Now I have a new problem. The unit is dead.

When I press the power button and release it. I see hard drive LED flash for a second but the unit will not turn on. To make sure that there is no problem with power supply, I lifted the tray and both power and hard drive LEDs flash.

Can anyone help me?
Thx.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dead-pc.801185/
Relevancy 27.95%

just built new pc powers up lights come,fans spin but monitor blank and dont get any beeping sounds

heres what ive tried so far
reset cmos,removed battery,powered up mobo out of case,unplugged everything execpt cpu,fan,hdd and ram.

spec are
asrock m266a mobo
p4 1.8ghz cpu
256 pc2100 ram
maxtor 40gb hdd
230w psu
onboard sound and video
dvd rom and floppy

had this problem the other week but all i had to do was plug power supply from monitor into second hole on psu instaed of into the wall outlet however this psu only has one hole for the pc to wall outlet.

help please trying everything

Relevancy 27.95%

I was trying to instal windows when, on the instalation program, the computer turned off. I´ve tried to turn it on but i did not have sucess. I´ve removed memories, removed video card, cleaned my cooler, put new heatsink on the processor and the computer still doesn´t turn on! The funny thing is that all the lights on my MB turns on assap i plug the power cord into the outlet!
What might it be?

A:Dead PC

Your power supply can still be defective even if the lights on the mother board come on. What is not happening is that when you push the power on button the power supply is not powering on beyond its normal standby mode. In standby it will light all the lights on your mother board but it is not powering the CPU. Bottom line is you need to replace the power supply. They do go bad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dead-pc.79749/
Relevancy 27.95%

Ok I m a big fan of Flight Simulator For the past few months I ve tried to download numerous freeware for my FS experience and look However every time I try to do such a thing it either says there was an error and needs to close or quot Network Resource is Unavailable quot when I attempt to install any NET version which is required for many of the freeware goodies for FS I ve tried help from Microsoft and nothing worked Even after I went in DOS mode it wouldn t do what Microsoft wanted me to do I eventually was Dead .NET is able to delete the file they instructed me to delete with the help of my father I ve also tried to download the newest versions but always screws up during installation I ve deleted many files explored many but no use I ve considered reinstallation of XP and have even attempted to install Vista don t ask Now I don t feel like reinstalling XP but I just want to fix NET I also snapped this picture of an error occurring giving me the file names of the error report my name is John and the arrows display what I clicked next Is there anyone that can help nbsp

Relevancy 27.95%
Q: dead pc

I have a computer that s about yrs old I also have one I built last April The one in question is the older one It had been working without problems until I turned it off when I was going to be out of town a few days When I came back amp turned it on nothing pc dead happened I read in the pc benchbook that it s probably the power supply I tried the other computer connected to the same peripherals etc amp it worked I made sure the switch was on and the wall plug was o k etc I ordered a new power supply amp put it in yesterday Still nothing I think I read someplace to try the power supply alone and not connected to the mother board and the fan should work Neither of the power supplies fan works when connected just to the wall socket Should they or does this mean the new power supply is bad also Please Help Ruth nbsp

Relevancy 27.95%

Built the following SLi PC last year ASUS P N - sli mobo P x BFG Geforce GTOC Maxtor HDD x Kingmax DDR Soundblaster Audigy X-Fi Everything has been gravy for about a year Running high spec games and had no problems Recently updated all the drivers Turned it on last week Left it for minutes Dead PC Came back and it competely frozen No reponse to anything so had to turn it off using rear case switch Restarted All the fans were on and the case lights were working but there was no image at all Tried switching graphics cards Today - when I press the start button nothing happens at all There is a green light on the MOBO to show power is being received I ve removed all components except for HD GC RAM stick and PSU and it s still dead Taken Mobo out of case Dead PC and tried to start using screwdriver over power pins and still nothing Also bought brand new PSU nothing I ve read loads of threads to say mobo s fail rarely so before i spend I just wanted to check to see if i ve missed something Was going to buy another ASUS P N SLi board Go idea or not Thanks CB nbsp

Go for another motherboard... the decision is all yours on what you should buy

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dead-pc.86093/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi All,

I'm new to this site but it looks busy so must have at least one person who can help me.

I have a Compaq Pressario SR1000 (SR1937UK) Desktop PC , XP, 2GB ram
My problem is:-
My partner was using the PC when it just froze, the only way to turn it off was to hold in the power key. I turned the PC on the next day and had a blank screen (black), no start up, no anything, can't even open the bios/dos. Took it to PC world techs who said it was a motherboard failure, brought a new motherboard and fitted it, just the same, nothing.
Any ideas?
Regards Ian

Hmm ... hello Ian!

Hope this helps ...

How did they (PC World Techs) came up with the conclusion that the problem was your motherboard? I assumed that they tested it ... right?

Where and when did you bought your other motherboard? Was it on the same store? Did you have the chance to test the board first before you fitted it on your casing?

Hmm .. there are lots of possible causes of your problem ... could be the monitor, could be your RAM, could be your power supply, switch ....

Can you give some details on how did the checking on PC world went?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dead-pc-233218.html
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi all,

Last night I when I turned off my computer it said "install updates and shutdown?" and I said "ok" and went to bed. Today when I tried to fire it up, it starts up, the windows logo appears and then it shuts down, it then restarts and the same thing happens - again and again and again - it happens at the same spot.

When I try to start the computer in safe mode [F8] the only option which comes up is What order would you like the computer to boot up - and it gives me 3 choices. No safe mode option or anything

Am I screwed? I'm really pressed at work and I need this thing to work!!

Thank you in advance!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-64-dead.790656/
Relevancy 27.95%

I'm not sure this is the right forum...but here i go...so..my brothers computer died a while ago. and so I volunteered to fix it. I bought a motherboard and I upgraded his processor since I bent the pins on his original processor. Well...I plugged it in and it proceeded to turn on but it didnt recognize the monitor. the amber light never even turned green on my monitor. So what could be the problem? RAM maybe? I was thinking maybe his ram was dead along with the motherboard(I replaced the motherboard though). Anyone have any ideas?

A:ram dead maybe? help?

Once you have run all the troubleshooting recommendations in the motherboard manual, you then begin looking at the power supply, memory modules, the video graphics card, and the pci devices.
We like to reduce the computer setup to power supply, floppy drive with a W98 boot disk, one memory module, and a simple video graphics connection... no other devices connect. If no floppy drive, attempt a boot to an install CD.
Are you certain the memory is correct for that particular board?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-dead-maybe-help.75427/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi, I'm quite worried about my computer...Since monday evening but pc doesn't seem to work..I switch it on as usual and everything seems normal, I can hear my Pc working for like 5 sec then i doesn't make anymore noise and the screen stays black, at first, thinking it was a problem with the screen i plugged in another one, but nothing...sorry if my explanations aren't clear...And i forgot to say that it's a laptop..So if anyone could please tell me what's wrong with and if i need to buy a new one.Thx in advance

Relevancy 27.95%

After a lightning storm the other night my pc won`t power up. I tested the power supply and it works but when i plug it back into the pc the light on the power supply flashes. I had the pc disconnected from the mains but forgot to unplug the ethernet cable. My modem is dead so i`m wondering is it a fact that the lightning travelled down the phone cable and fried the modem and my motherboard?

Relevancy 27.95%

i have a pc that hasn`t been used for a time i`ve tried to get it going but no luck, symptoms are, when i turn it on the fan runs,the lights on the keyboard flash, there is no video output, no life from the hard drive, no beep from the bios, the floppy drive has no light on it with a disk in but has a light on if i reverse the data cable but still no activity, the hard drive runs if i remove the data cable!, the cd dives run until i plug the data cables into the mobo then they go dead, i have cleared the cmos but it`s still the same, is it dead?

any diagnosis welcome !

A:is it dead

Sounds like a dead mobo or card.

Strip the machine down to just the Video card, 1 stick of RAM, CPU, and Powersupply. Aldo set this up outside of the case to make sure there's no short - its also easier to work with and see.

If it still fails to POST then try removing video then RAM - it should produce beep codes without these. If it does it may be one of those. Of course you need the speaker connector for it beep which might be tricky outside of the case. Also, even though it powers on you may wish to try another powersupply - when they die they can produce weird results.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-it-dead.194141/
Relevancy 27.95%

I have a Compaq and I think the motherboard has gone bad I have had the hard drive in another computer, tested the power supply, and had the memory in another computer. The only thing i havent done is change the IDE cable to the hard drive and swap the processor. But the computer will not boot the light comes on and there is a little hard disk activity and the nothing. The light just stays on but no image is displayed on the screen. I added a different video card also, because the one that came with it is built onto the motherboard. Is there a jumper or something I would need to switch to add a different video card? Any suggestions on how to test the motherboard for a problem would be great!!

Thanks

A:Dead PC!

my guess would be a hosed motherboard.

try reseating the CPU, rlugging into Onboard video if it has it and see where you go from there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dead-pc.76872/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi all Wonder if anyone can offer some advice My Desktop PC seems to have died this afternoon I d been out of the office for a few hours came back in PC was running fine moved the mouse and went to open Firefox and after a minute or two it just died No smoke no noise just silence Almost PC Dead I ve had the case open and checked every connector I can find Almost Dead PC I ve found that if I Almost Dead PC unplug it wait or seconds than plug it in again and hit the on off button the power supply fan and the processor fan spin for about half a second then stop If I press it again then nothing happens until I unplug it for a few seconds then when I plug it back in again it will spin for half a second or Almost Dead PC so and then stop again I ve removed all cables from the PC removed and reseated the memory removed the power cables from each drive in turn but all to no avail There s obviously some power getting in there as something is making the fan turn even if it is just for a second but I m at a loss for what to do next I have a vague memory of something like this happening before but then after I d waggled a few cables around it sprang back to life but no such luck this time Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated Thanks for listening Michael nbsp

Relevancy 27.95%

i just got error code 0xc000000f , says bad boot sector.it cant repair from disc, and a reinstall won't work.the hard drive is spinning and no strange noises from am pc.am i knackered.lol

A:dead pc

Disable Secure/Fast boot form BIOS if it helps any. You may also wish to perform a hard disk test from the BIOS.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/59581-dead-pc.html
Relevancy 27.95%

It also says: Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart When I do it just keeps coming back to NTLDR is missing I have a $2600 paperweight! It's an hp pavilion ze5570us laptop running windows xp home. Any suggestions?

A:It's Dead!

After a quick search on google I found the following articles that I believe pertain to your problem:http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318728http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htmhttp://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missing.htm

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/52628/its-dead/
Relevancy 27.95%

I just got my new computer case which came with a PSU. I think the PSU is dead, everytime I plug it in I can't seem to see if the fan is working do I need a motherboard hooked up before the fan will run?

A:PSU dead?

Yes the new Power Supply must be plugged into the motherboard to see the fan turn on (after turning the computer on of course)
Otherwise you'll need a Power Supply tester to see it (which you don't need!)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/psu-dead.119323/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hey guys! I bought a CDRW (a Lite-On 52x) awhile back from newegg. I haven't used it for a few months and have since gone through a couple Windows reinstalls. Well, I went to use it the other day and found that Win2k didn't recognize it. So, I installed Nero and it still didn't recognize it.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I have to install a driver or something or is it just dead?

A:Do I have a dead CD-RW?

What are the indications in Device Manager for the drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/do-i-have-a-dead-cd-rw.233594/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi Guys

I need to access info sites for my business, sales development. This morning my mouse locked and had to shut down using ctrl/alt/delete. When I did that I had a brief glimpse of a narrative that was headed "He's dead Sam", and having powered back up still cannot get the mouse to operate.

I have a Dell PC with Vista operating system.

Any help much appreciated.

Cluey

A:He's dead Sam

Cleared problem, everything OK

Cluey

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/410662/hes-dead-sam/
Relevancy 27.95%

dont spose anyone knows how to get a computer to start when it doesnt wont to... it will not start in safe mode or normal mode and will not restore to last working config.

blue screen of death flashes briefly saying...

''beggining dump of... something''
''finished dump of... something''

if you have any thoughts please reply

Relevancy 27.95%
Q: Dead

Hi I seem to have problem with my computer as of lately I have a radeon graphics card I installed the latest radeon drivers tried older ones tried the omega drivers reinabled page filing increased the size of my agp aperature size checked my cpu temerature and everything I can think of but for some or other reason my monitor shuts down the moment I start playing a game I tried three different monitors other ram increasing my Dead ram size but still I get the same trouble The computer remains on but it has the same symptoms as a computer entering standby I tried a few solutions from microsofts website but still to no avail It also only does this with certain games like cossaks or rugby If I play something like command and conquer generals the computer workds with out qany problems One last thing the computer does this with no apparent time schedule I could be playing for three Dead hours and it would do this or with in four minute sof entering a game Please this is extremely urgent nbsp

Relevancy 27.95%

I believe my hard drive died I have an old dead? HDD IDE WD hard drive gb got it from a friend in not sure how long he had it before that I primarily used it for backing up old stuff like personal photos and videos definitely not for everyday use Earlier today I hooked it up to a IDE USB connector and turned it on to access some data and got a not so friendly - click beep click beep - type of sound First thing that came to mind is quot oh noes it died quot My PC wouldn t recognize anything connected either and HDD dead? I don t really know where to go from here Is there anything I can do on my end Or am I screwed and it ll take a specialist and lots of to save any data While most everything on there is of personal nature I really don t just wanna give it up I really should of backed everything up on a new HDD dead? HDD but I just didn t get around to it So weird too I still have old drives from the late s - gbs which have been used way more and they still work nicely but have no data on them figured they d go first Any help would be appreciated thanks nbsp

A:HDD dead?

Matthew said:

Try to actually mount and attach the drive internally. Connect it to the motherboard and feed it power from a PSU. Perhaps your "IDE USB connector" is the source of the issue.Click to expand...

Works for my other IDE drives so I doubt it's that, but I will for sure mount it internally tomorrow and see what happens.

And I really should've backed it up on another drive...but I'm one of those procrastinators...:dead:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-dead.127048/
Relevancy 27.95%

hi all, i have a palm pilot zire 72. its one year and about two months old, and today i found it completely dead after plugging it in to recharge today! boy does that stink. i have puched the reset button till the cows come home, and leaving it to to recharge, to no help.

the recharge and ON light will come on, but the screen is dead and no other signs of activity. anyone have thoubghts? or is this best a "learning expericnece?
the main kicker is that i am out of the country teaching english in asia, and have to real access to support. is this a lost cause in your opnion? any help appreciated!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dead-pda.493183/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi there, Whilst installing a scanner, after rebooting the sreen was blank, I thought the software had altered the boot sequence, so entered set-up and set it to "default values" then when it started to boot, there was a warning beep, and the warning on the screen said "CPU fan problem" then the PC switched off. I don't know if this was due to altering the values, but I can't get into the PC to change anything as it keeps shutting down after the warning, -before it starts to boot. Also, the CPU fan is still operating. Any ideas?

Relevancy 27.95%
Q: pc dead

left pc on overnight, next day pc dead , supply ok, fitted new power pack, still dead, no fan on nothing at all. Have you any advice.

Relevancy 27.95%

I was playing a game and suddenly my left arrow key (<--) wouldn't work. I found out that if i press it hard it works, but it doesn't work like the other arrow keys. It also doesn't work sometimes when I press it. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Relevancy 27.95%

Im not computer great and my IE died, And im stuck....TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!

A:IE is dead?

What do you mean dead?

please explain what is wrong because people can't help you other wise wee need to know what is happening.

messages that pop up anything that can help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/10572/ie-is-dead/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hello I posted on a techsupport forum month ago maybe and needed help getting rid of virus malware I had to spend hours trying to figure it out and pretty much got most of it I wish the guys responded to that thread to help me then but it was over weeks without a response I realize that I need to attach the DDS and stuff but now I cannot now The computer ran just fine for the past few weeks Today with just checking espn com and typical mail something happened again I left my computer on be dead...please help Might me with Itunes being the only thing Might be dead...please help me open When I return I have a bunch of AVG Identity messages saying for me to remove trojans etc I hit remove on all of them and then it tells me to restart the computer to finish it I restarted Now all I get is the initial motherboard logo bootup screen then it shows it recognizing my hard drive and then instead of seeing the windows logo I get a complete black screen with a blinking white line at the top If I press f to get into safe mode a screen shows up making me select a boot device I choose my hard drive and that brings me back to the screen with the blinking line at the top of a black screen I don t know what to do at this point I really have a lot of work on this computer and files that I need Please help guys please I really need to somehow backup my music and files -Davis nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/might-be-dead-please-help-me.958130/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hey, I downloaded the new verison of AIM 5.5.372 and I also have Dead AIM 4.0 which was working perfectly until now. Now its not working at all. Please tell me how to fix this or if I need to download a patch or something. If you feel that this is a bad program or something along those lines please reccomend a new program to me. I heard about some program, nemisis or something like that if you know anything about it please let me know.....thanks alot!

Relevancy 27.95%

I have had my new laptop since mid july and it has always run alittle warm. I use coretemp to monitor my cpu and its always high 60's low 70's. Within the last week the temps are in the 70's and low 80's the fan still kicks out warm air but not at the speed it used too. Will speed fan actually show me the rate my fan is spinning at?

A:Dead Fan?

When was the last time you blasted air through to clean the system. Am I to assume it's still under warranty? If so then for sure call the manufacturer and have it checked if cleaning doesn't get the temps down. The fan could be spinning slower for the dust balls building up inside. Might try vacuum on exhaust and air on intake to get as much as possible out. Remember to turn unit off remove battery and a/c plug.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/130148-dead-fan.html
Relevancy 27.95%

i have daed aim 4.5 is there a way to change the amount of time that it says u have been on when other people scrool there mouse over ur name... thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dead-aim.265887/
Relevancy 27.95%

I will start by saying that I don't know that much about the workings of computers. I have an emachines w2646 with windows xp operating system. A few weeks back it would completely shut down and then attempt to reboot, but could not. Being as though I don't know that much, I asked the IT guy at my work and was told to clean the cpu fan. It did have some dust built up on it and afterwords the pc did work again. Then, the other day it shut down again. This time I was told to replace the fan. I did and the fan would not come on at all, nor would the pc work. Then I was told to replace the power box which I did. The power box comes on but the rest of the pc does not. What do I do?

Relevancy 27.95%

So i've been having trouble with my PC crashing during gaming and I've come to the conclusion that this is due to a problem with the GPU or PSU. After the latest crash, when I rebooted the system, there are now loads of small white lines across my screen and my screen resolution has become very small, like what happens when I uninstall my graphics drivers. Does this confirm a problem with the GPU and is there anyway to fix this or should I just replace it??
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet <---- images of the problem
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I already made a post in a lot more detail about my problem on reddit but didn't get any response:
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport...out_5_minutes/

I also already ran the GPU error checking test on OCCT and my PC would crash with the error message DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

A:Is my GPU dead?

What are your system specs? Do you have the latest driver installed for your GPU? What are the temps of the CPU and GPU before/during/after crash(s)? Have you checked the cable connection on GPU and monitor? Have you checked that the GPU is fully seated in/on mobo?

http://www.pchelpforum.com/pc-hardware/130111-my-gpu-dead.html
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi my name is alanhardy and am glad to be here I hope you can help me I recently bought some new components for my PC a Motherboard and Dual core Intel processor I put them together fine and they worked great for about a month I now have a problem I was using my system this morning like normal and everything seemed fine and working as it should I shut it down to move the tower on to a new table and expected everything to be fine However it was not for some unknown reason it is no longer working When i switched it back on the power went through it as normal and the fans started but nothing was coming on screen I initilly thought it was the graphics card or memory but the computer would not even show the post nothing what so ever dead My PC went came on the screen It just died for some reason power was going through the board as it was My PC went dead powering the fans but no life whatsoever from the system it self no information on screen or beeps from it to indicate a problem I have swapped parts out into a spare PC i had put away thinking one of them could be causing the problem and the parts are still working fine That includes my graphics hdd s cd drives and soundcard The board is a Gigabyte and the processor was a Intel Dual core I have no idea what caused this or how to fix it Also the system had My PC went dead a fresh install of windows xp pro on it with all drivers installed fine One moment fine and then next time it was switched on nothing dead Can anyone help me please FMJ Shadow nbsp

A:My PC went dead

Sounds like Power Supply

Just in case:

Remove all power (power cord out)
Hold the computer ON button in for 30 Secs, then release
Re-insert power cord (securely)
Turn on

Still the same?
Test with another Power Supply (note: faulty Power Supplies can still look like they are working)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-pc-went-dead.101279/
Relevancy 27.95%

Once again ive blown out my computer. I went to install a new CPU heatsink and fan and after struggling to install it and finally getting it on I plugged it in and it booted to DOS and stopped at memory check never went any further never gave me an error. Now It ceases to boot at ALL or even turn on when I reset the PSU.. Im not sure what the problem is and I know it could be many things.. Any ideas though?

Relevancy 27.95%

Hi

I noticed a burning smell coming from my PC and put it down to the PSU giving up and it took me a few days to get the chance to change it.
but in that time the PC would freeze up for 30 sec to a min quite often, and then my 250 G HDD started making clicking noises and stopped showing up in my computer and in the bios.
So my question is now that i have put another PSU in and everything is working fine again have i damaged my HD, is it about to give up cause of the lack of power it was getting, and is it normal for a PSU to slowly give up like that?

Thanks

Relevancy 27.95%

Hi everyone I m asking for help on behalf of my brother We ve both exhausted our troubleshooting knowledge on diagnosing the trouble with his PC So we ve come to the best place on the web for knowledge PC Dead PC stats P GHz Asus P P -E Deluxe motherboard Gb RAM Corsair XMS MHz NVidia Geoforce GTOC video card Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer with surround Dead PC speakers Power supply Thermaltake W TR - DVD-RW drives quot floppy Thermaltake Acer XACER case Windows XP Pro SP Monitor Dell quot Widescreen monitor APC UPS is also used The problem He built the PC himself about a year and a half ago and up until weeks ago it worked just fine Two weeks ago he hit the start button and there was nothing but silence BIOS won t post monitor shows Dead PC no activity the case fans run though Dead PC Hard disk drive sounds like it s turning power light on the motherboard is on CPU fan runs all case fans run He purchased a brand new identical motherboard as that seemed to be the problem The same situation as above repeats itself fans turn on no post He s taken every single part out and placed it one at a time in another PC which continues to work just fine Swapped parts list Hard disk drive working fine RAM sticks working fine CPU working fine Video card working fine Sound card working fine Power supply working fine Monitor working fine New motherboard is bad out of the box The case is suddenly shorting out the motherboard Any and all suggestions are welcome Thanks Kyna nbsp

Relevancy 27.95%

seems a virus turned off security (mcafee) and allowed lots of stuff in. Mcafee scan found nothing. tried kaspersky anti virus 6 found ton. mostly trojan win32 dnschanger.acs. trojanwin32 downloader.wma.win ad.d Heur.Anti Av trojan.win32 Agent.dgw Adware.win32.Virtumonde.asq
rootkill.win32.Agent.px
Kaspersky says it eliminated all found but now the system is even slower then ever. takes 30 mins to load to start icon. I tried to turn off strt up items( probably made it worse.) any help appreciated!

Relevancy 27.95%

My PC doesn t even boot in safe mode I can not use the Last Good Configuration mode as it gives me the same Blue Screen message I have not run out of hard disk space as I have Gb left on my hard drive The only Please I - think dead? Help my PC is thing that I could imagine that could ve created this problem is that I downloaded a few diagnostic programs including registry ones and wanted to clean up my PC After I used the programmes I uninstalled them I have not installed any new hardware still is what Please Help - I think my PC is dead? microsoft seems to think is the problem on their website The only thing that has been modified from when it was working is installing a few diagnostic programs and trialing them out including a tweak XP program I am using XP SP on a Dell Dimension XP SP came preinstalled and they did not supply a CD stating that that it was all on the system I have an option in the boot up process allowing me to go to a diagnostic utility partition I did Please Help - I think my PC is dead? all the checks and it passed them all After Please Help - I think my PC is dead? the first time I did this it worked XP booted correctly and worked for mins but subsequent attempts just bring up the blue screen after I exit the diagnostic utility Can anyone help me please as I need to get my PC working again I do not want to reformat if at all possible as that will mean losing or the need to transfer huge amounts of data and losing software If anyone can help please can you either post here or email me email protected The message I receive is A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is the first time you ve seen this Stop error screen restart your computer If this screen appears again follow these steps Check to be sure you have adequate disk space If a driver is identified in the Stop message disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates Try chaging video adapters Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components restart your computer press F to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Safe Mode Technical Information STOP x E xC x F E xF D B xF D I also get different messages occasionally aswell such as STOP x A x C x F x x E E STOP X I also received a message at the top with something like BAD POOL nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-i-think-my-pc-is-dead.401211/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi I recently got a WMI dead Pro XP new Laptop that came with XP home SP preloaded I bought the Pro upgrade but had many errors during the upgrade After continuing through the errors Pro finally was installed but there have been problems Windows Update did not work but that was resolved by some registry entries Now WMI will not run When I start MSConfig I get the message quot XP Pro WMI dead Failed to connect to lt local computer gt because quot Interface Class not registered quot When I look at all the SERVICES there is NO WMI listed there is an entry for WMI Driver Extensions is that the same thing I suspect there is either missing key s or data value s in the registry as that was the problem when Windows Update didn t work but I have been unable to find any useful info on this on in the MS KB BTW I have registered the three XML dll s that was mentioned somewhere so I did it with no change in results Thanx for ANY help Mike nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-pro-wmi-dead.380280/
Relevancy 27.95%

my USBs dont work. It says "unknown USB device detected" yet NO USB IS HOOKED UP!
When the comp starts up sometimes, it stays blank and have to pull the plug PLZ HELP!

A:Dead Usb!

Need more info on this one. Are you getting any post codes (beeps at startup). Any error messages? When do you see the unknown USB detected message?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dead-usb.534165/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hello How s it going Hopefully good Here s the deal I PSU dead? my Is was playing World of Warcraft yesterday don t you judge me and every or so seconds the game slowed down to like Is my PSU dead? - FPS so I re-logged Everything seemed fine then Then I decided to turn on some music so I fired up iTunes and continued playing the game - a few minutes later my PC turned off by itself At first I thought there must have been a power outage in my neighborhood but that wasn t the case since the lights didn t turn Is my PSU dead? off So I decided to turn my PC back on but after I pushed the power button I heard a loud noise coming from it it s not like a beep but more like a broken cooler if it makes sense but the coolers are fine The fans seemed to be working but that s about it Nothing showed up on the screen I did notice two things though - the power switch for my PSU was blinking Before this thing happened it used to glow blue steadily And there s a weird not too loud sound coming from it - electricity So is my PSU dead I don t feel like spending or so bucks on something that isn t broken Here are the system specs S AMD Athlon X Western Digital GB HDD x GB Kingston RAM Some nForce MSI motherboard ATI Radeon HD Pro I used to have nVIDIA GeForce GT but it started showing artifacts so I downgraded to this ATI card which by the way was acting weird when I tried watching p p videos in full screen - is that another sign that the PSU was dying FSP Blue Storm II W I think that s about it So what do you guys think Is the PSU dead Let me know if you need any other info Best regards nbsp

Relevancy 27.95%

Hi. Today, my computer auto shutdown due to overheating. So I decided to open the CPU and I used a gas duster (the one that sprays air) to clean my fan. I also wiped up some dust from the metal parts on the bottom of the CPU. Then I put my case back on and plugged the adapter to the PSU. Once the adapter went in fully, there was a spark and a loud noise. It smelled like the PSU is toasted. I tried plugging the adapter again and booting the computer, but it wouldn't turn on. It is not a problem with the outlet, my monitor is still on, just not the CPU. What can I do?

Relevancy 27.95%
Q: Pc Dead

I have PIII 500. It was working fine; I was burning a CD and was away from my computer. When I returned the computer was dead. When I turn the computer on it does not even try to boot no beeps;nothing. The case fan and the fan in the power supply work. I have power to the leads for the drives but thats it.
Could it still be the power supply? Anyone have any ideas?

Relevancy 27.95%

I tried to refresh my pc after Windows Update messed things up.This did not work...nor did pc reset.I tried to use Windows 10 recovery media ...nothing happened other than repairing pc message popped...after 100 % reached ..another message popped up stating could not repair pc...then i tried using Windows 10 iso image back up i made on an external drive ...this did not work either.....in a nutshell is my pc dead as it not re-installing Windows 10 from various Advanced Boot up options ?

A:Is my pc dead ?

You need a bootable DVD and do a clean install deleting all partitions first

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-10-a/127019-my-pc-dead.html
Relevancy 27.95%

Sorry if I have asked this question before..but this is one last attempt at salvaging my CD rom. I think I may just need to replace it but since it is only a year old I find that hard to believe. When I put a CD in , sometimes my computer freezes and other times I get an error message saying that the drive may need to be cleaned. I have cleaned it but there was no change.
Is is dead? If so, can anyone give me an idea about how much they cost to replace and do u need to send the computer somewhere to have it replaced? Sorry if these sound like stupid questions.....Thanks!

A:CD rom dead?

You can buy a good cdrom drive for less than $50 US. As far as installing it, the instructions are pretty clear cut. Not that hard.
Go into device manager and delete the current cdrom drive.
Shutdown
Open case, remove current drive
Install new drive, set jumper switch and plug in power and ide cable.
Power up machine, enter bios, make sure the ide the cdrom is attached to is set to autodetect. Save and exit
reboots and windows should see it on boot, just follow the prompts.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-rom-dead.34789/