Windows Support Forum

HP Pavilion dead

Q: HP Pavilion dead

I hope someone out there can help us. My girlfriends computer will not power up at all. Her system is an HP Pavilion 6540c. It first started about four months ago, her system would freeze up and she would have to cut it off for at least an hour before it would power back up again. Now it has been unplugged and off for at least a month and it still will not power up. it just has the orange standby light on. Her moms boyfriend said to add more memory and it would fix the problem, but I don't see where the memory would cause this. Please give any advice you can. thanks in advance.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: HP Pavilion dead

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 25.8%

Hello everyone,

This happened couple days ago when my laptop started to act like crazy.. It used to freeze but two days ago it shuts down when I'm in the middle of doing something like Photoshop.. It even shut down while posting this thread once..
I thought it'd be a problem with the windows so I installed a fresh one but yet the problem is not solved..
And after some search on internet I came up with some apps like HDD and CPUID Monitor and here's a snapshot of the scan, and I wish someone of TECHSPOT family would help, that'll be so much appreciated..

Thank you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-hp-pavilion-shuts-down.216441/
Relevancy 27.52%

So my DVD drive has died on my and I hear if u get a new one off Ebay u have to get the key from the old one DVD a drive 360 dead Replacing and stick it on the new so your Xbox will read it thats all well and good if your drive would work be picked up by PC The drive is dead and there is no way of getting the key Now if my logic is right the key is stored on one of the Microchips in the board so If I can get the chip off the board by heating it up what piece of Hardware would I need to read it and software to get the Needed information off in order to flash it onto the new XBox drive I plan to order I don t want to shell out on a new console as its in full working order despite DVD drive and doing it said way would be cheaper Yes Also if anyoen knows which chip it is on the Xbox Ben Q VAD Drive I be very happy I Plan on replacing it with another benQ drive I point out I do not intend to play pirated games I just want to be able to replace my DVD drive which may be against MS EuLA but I don t care as its not breaking UK law I will use it to back my games up again fully within UK law Thanks in advanced for replys nbsp

A:Replacing a dead 360 DVD drive

If you're positive that the old drive is dead (i.e. no power to the drive) then getting the key is impossible. if the drive has already been flashed then the key should have been saved. i'm quite positive there is no way to retrieve the key from the motherboard itself, without the use of specialized equipment, that you don't have access to anyways.

buy a new console and keep the old one for parts or sell it as is

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacing-a-dead-360-dvd-drive.152537/
Relevancy 27.95%

I have been upgrading an old Compaq Presario SR5130NX.
I'm new to the computer scene, and decided to switch the PSU to 230V, just to see what would happen. It exploded. That's what happened. I installed a new PSU, and now, whenever I turn on the PC, there is an error message saying "CPU fan has failed" and the PC shuts down automatically before I can access the set up, or bios. My case is currently open however, and I can see that the fan is working so I think the motherboard got messed up, and I'm afraid this could have also damaged my graphics card and memory.

My motherboard is a m2n68-la (ivy) and here are the product specifications: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&product=3436820&tmp_track_link=ot_search#N96

Can anyone tell me what's going on? Can this be fixed, or should I just get a new motherboard and start from scratch?

If I'm posting this in the wrong section, please point me in the right direction.

A:Is my computer dead?

Unplug from wall socket.
reset bios by removing bios battery for few seconds. reinsert bios battery.
check if cpu fan is still attached to cpu fan header and is still intact.
check 20+4 main power connector
check 4-pin auxiliary power connector (can be 4+4, depending on motherboard)
(check the motherboard for any burnt marks, bloated capacitors.)
plug to wall socket and turn on.

if unable to power up computer, then maybe the motherboard is dead.
if the motherboard has any burnt marks or bloated capacitors, don't use it as it maybe dead.

if you are going to build a new budget build:
processor: intel Pentium g3258
cpu cooler: coolermaster hyper 212 evo (or 212x)
motherboard: h81, b85, h97, or z97
memory: 4gb ddr3-1600 single memory module (or 2x4gb)
gpu: NVidia gtx 750, amd r9 260
storage: 1tb hdd
psu: seasonic 500w+
case

alternate build:
processor: i5-4690k
cpu cooler: coolermaster hyper212 evo (or 212x)
motherboard: asus/asrock z97
memory: 2x4gb ddr3-1600 (or 2x8gb)
gpu: NVidia gtx 760 or amd r9 270x (or higher)
storage: 256gb Samsung 840 evo ssd + 3tb Seagate hdd or 2tb wd black hdd
psu: seasonic 600W+ for single gpu usage
case

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-computer-dead.204809/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hello everyone,

I have an Hp Pavilion that I got about 2 years ago and I do play games on it. One game in general which is League of Legends. My concern is that if anyone knows about this game during teamfights when the computer is operating extensively because of all the action going on I always frame lag. My frames drop only during fights. When nothing is happening my frames are okay. As well other programs on my computer run slowly now as well like windows media player and just when I'm starting programs up on my comp. This happened now so long ago and it was a sudden change. I don't know what to try anymore. I have reformatted my comp and still the same issue. Help would be much appreciated thank you.

A:Hp Pavilion Dv7 FPS drop during games

The HP Pavilion could be over-heating. After years of use, the CPU's thermal pads and paste become hardened and this causes the CPU to run hotter and hotter causing game play to suffer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv7-fps-drop-during-games.203061/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello all,

I've recently bought a HP Pavilion 15-n252sq laptop, with Free Dos - unfortunately I can't install Windows 7 over it, due to the following error I keep receiveing in the Installation screen:

"Select the driver to be installed" - and regardless of the paths I have and the available folders, I can not seem to proceed wtih the W7 installation.

Please notice that, I've tried to use both a W7 DVD and also a bootable USB drive (and yes, connected in the USB 2.0 port and not USB 3.0 ) - but I always get to the same point where I have to select drivers.

Please also notice that the BIOS doesn't allow me to make any modifications except for some minor ones (like select boot priority, or enable USB 3.0), as the rest of the MAIN features are greyed out .

Can anyone please help me with this issue?

Regards,
Adrian

A:HP Pavilion 15-n252sq - Can not install Windows over Free Dos

You may have to use a program Like KillDisk to reformat the drive. Then try installing your Win 7 DVD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-15-n252sq-can-not-install-windows-over-free-dos.202523/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have no idea why this happened, after the update none of the ports on my computer work after booting into windows. bios was updated before this and all was fine. checked in bios if ports were enabled. still no joy. help!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/all-usb-and-ps-2-ports-dead-after-msi-motherboard-driver-update.200108/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello Guys

I recently changed my motherborad , and I have a new Graphics card and new processeur ,
Graphics Card :
-AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
-AMD Radeon HD 6470M
I used every way to update the graphics card , sometimes it appears the blue screen , and then the drivers never up to date , help me as soon please

Computer : HP pavilion g6 Notebook PC
System : Windows 7 64 bits

this is an image from my computer
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/618x354q90/687/l9s.png

A:HP pavilion g6 Notebook PC

Have you worked on or repaired many laptops? English is not your first language?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-g6-notebook-pc.199831/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hey all,

Just wondering if an external drive is dead based on this --

I have a Seagate FreeAgent Desk and last week when I plugged into computer after 6 months or so of no use, it wasn't recognized. LED lights didn't come on at all. So I thought it was a bad power supply. Switched that out but no luck. Tonight I transferred to a Dynex enclosure. Powers up but still nowhere on computer, not in device manager or disk management. Any other things to try or is the drive itself gone?

A:Opinion on whether Seagate FreeAgent External Dead

Sounds like the hdd isn't spinning up in either enclosure. if possible I would connect it to the enclosure & not completely reassemble, try it on your PC, and put your ear down on the top of the drive & listen, do you hear the motor spinning up?! if the drive is not spinning up, there isn't much you can do. if the data is valuable, then try a data recovery company - I have had excellent success with http://www.300dollardatarecovery.com/ if the data is not valuable then I'd replace the drive and toss that one out.

Post back, Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/opinion-on-whether-seagate-freeagent-external-dead.199055/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hi I was wondering what form factor type this Pc has BTX or ATX, if im wrong in saying this please point me in the right direction, I require at least a 500W PSU and I am only purchasing in australia, Maybe from china if on ebay

Current specs:
8gb RAM
1gb VRAM (Nvidia Geforce 520)
Intel i7 2600 - Quad core
1.06TB Storage

A:HP Pavilion P6-2055a PSU Upgrade

According the the Manufacturer details, you have a standard ATX PSU so as long as you stick with that, you can fit pretty much any inside your machine. It does look like the 300Watt version inside the machine is a bit short compared to normal PSU's, but as long as you still have space, it should fit just fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-p6-2055a-psu-upgrade.198740/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi Guys,
I am running an old Windows XP.
All od a sudden.[ 2 days ago ] I click on Craigslist and I get a "Can not connect" window even though I can access any and all of other web sites.
Also, now when I try to upload a photo onto Facebook.....it says "choose file"..."click upload"...but its dead. Yet I can upload photos to other web sites.
Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?
Thanks.

A:Some links are dead

Clear your browser cache,

clear the DNS Cache:
runas /user:administrator cmd​enter​IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS​NET STOP "DNS CLIENT"​NET START "DNS CLIENT"​
quit your browser and relaunch it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/some-links-are-dead.198230/
Relevancy 27.52%

Few days back I was playing GTA on my pc It was working fine but suddenly its video whoops out There was only white - yellowish color on the screen and nothing was happening So I card Dead graphics decided to reset the pc then I turned it off normally Two days after this when I turned on my pc Dead graphics card it was not turning on Whenever I push the Dead graphics card power button in I see only blink in mouse light and fans in cpu just give a jerk Although the motherboarrd lights have still gone green So Dead graphics card I thought its power cord problem then I performed each and every possible things And found that it was not power problem Then I removed my nvidia gt graphic card and then turned it on And now it gave me long beeps which signifies base k RAM error So I removed one ram from it and then it worked all correct But what was the problem with graphic card I have suitable psu of dc output w Specs - Pentium D gb ram leadtek winfast nvidia gt windows dont know anything about BIOS version Please ask anything if I left something nbsp

A:Dead graphics card

It may have shorted out do to your memory stick shorting out.. Have you tried the video card ? Sense you remove the bad memory stick. Just to see if maybe it was the memory stick causing the problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dead-graphics-card.197334/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello I have been given an HP s Computer so I don t know the history The PSU was dead so I hooked up a good Antec Power button light and Asus M2N68-la no dead? MoBo means beeps cooling fans work but that s all Have systematically removed all hardware connections to the board including the ram keyboard amp mouse leaving just the PSU connectors there is no sign of life no post or video signal it has never beeped at all Having read countless posts I have come to the conclusion that since there are no beeps the Motherboard needs replacing As the original power supply was dead perhaps it took something else with it Before changing the mobo I thought I d see if anyone has an alternative suggestion I did read that there is a known fault with this mobo Plenty of Asus M2N68-la MoBo no beeps means dead? folks have video problems but it should beep Asus M2N68-la MoBo no beeps means dead? or spin up the HDD The specs are standard for this HP off the shelf The asus M N -la MoBo is rev Dual core Athlon x GB Samsung DDR Hope someone has a suggestion thanks Tony nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-m2n68-la-mobo-no-beeps-means-dead.197199/
Relevancy 26.23%

Urgh Typical Install new case fans after moving HD cages from the front of Corsar T case Check they run ok Fine Put HD cages back in one in the space on the bottom of the case beside the PSU Fight with the cables to get the HDs connected and the modular PSU cables back into the PSU - Attempt to power on Nothing - Check cable try another power cable Nothing - No fans no lights nothing - No electrical sound when flipping the switch on the back of the PSU Seems I have a year warrant on the PSU and its only about years old But Corsair RMA system insists that you HX750, cables dead Corsair and after unplugging, reseating re-plugging quot try another PSU to verify the problem is Corsair HX750, dead after reseating and unplugging, re-plugging cables the PSU quot which is fair enough so off to buy another PSU probably another Corsair Hope the RMA system allows for refund rather than replacement otherwise I ll have PSUs which isn t really much use I guess I can use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a bigger PSU since CF HD SSD i K Ghz a powered device connected to almost every single USB port is probably getting towards it s limits I can then stick any replacement HX on Ebay Corsair HX750, dead after reseating and unplugging, re-plugging cables or something nbsp

A:Corsair HX750, dead after reseating and unplugging, re-plugging cables

Arris said:

Seems I have a 7 year warrant on the PSU and its only about 3 years old. But Corsair RMA system insists that you "try another PSU to verify the problem is the PSU" which is fair enough so off to buy another PSU, probably another Corsair.Click to expand...

I didn't have any fuss with my Corsair RMA request, when I mentioned using a Power Supply Tester.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/corsair-hx750-dead-after-reseating-and-unplugging-re-plugging-cables.197056/
Relevancy 27.09%

A few months ago my external hard drive stopped working. At first the power light would come on but the hard drive wouldn't boot up. I think I may have plugged the wrong wattage from another cord mistakenly into it and from that point on, the power light stopped coming on. I decided to get a new printed circuit board from a reputable data recovery company in Canada. In addition to purchasing the PCB from them, they advise that the old/dead PCB be sent to them so they can swap the BIOS info from the old one onto the new one for better compatibility. The company claims they never received my old PCB (I tracked it and it shows delivered).

Is there any way I would still be able to recover my data from my external hard drive since I no longer have the old PCB?"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dead-external-hard-drive.196350/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi all,

My micro SD card is died. My question is just like the title; Is there a way to revive a died micro SD card?

Thanks.

A:Is there a way to revive a dead SD card?

Just Google "recover dead SD card", read through some articles. Let us know if something works.

I don't know anything to recommend, sorry.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-there-a-way-to-revive-a-dead-sd-card.195788/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi all For the past two weeks my PC was booting up very slowly I have Windows installed on a GB Corsair GT SSD and a Drive Is Dead? My Disk Hard Seagate Barracuda ST AS for Games Media My boot times had increased dramatically from about seconds to seconds I feared it was an issue with the SSD or some bad incomplete Windows update However last night when I booted up my system I found that chkdsk had detected quot inconsistencies quot on the Seagate drive If I skipped chkdsk on boot I was unable to see this drive in Windows I followed similar instructions to THIS and managed to have it back up and running Boot times improved significantly however still not as fast as before My system was functioning fine till today morning In the afternoon when I turned it back on I was unable to see the Seagate drive and its partitions in Windows I shut down the machine and on the next boot went into BIOS I found that the Seagate drive was listed there However on booting back into Windows there was nothing Now on restarting the PC not turning it off completely and going into BIOS I found that the drive was no longer shown I shut down the system and changed the SATA connector and the port Once again it was listed in BIOS but not in Windows On removing the HDD from the system I found that my boot times were back Is My Hard Disk Drive Dead? down to the sec mark So I took the HDD to a friend who plugged it in as a second drive in his machine There was a message stating something in the lines of quot Hard Disk Status Bad quot After this Windows was simply not booting It was stuck on a black screen after the Windows splash screen So I m assuming that the HDD is dead and wondering if there s any way to recover data from it Is My Hard Disk Drive Dead? I d appreciate any pointers in this direction Also as a replacement I was contemplating between the latest Seagate Barracuda ST DM and the Western Digital Caviar Blue WD EZEX Which in your opinion would be Is My Hard Disk Drive Dead? a better option The new Seagate seems to have very fast performance and on the other hand there s only good things to be heard about the reliability and performance of the latest Caviar Blue though not as fast as the Seagate Thanks for reading through nbsp

A:Is My Hard Disk Drive Dead?

Check Windows Disk Management to see if the drive has for some unknown reason been dismounted.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-hard-disk-drive-dead.194549/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hi all My parents have an HP Pavilion entertainment laptop that frankly didn t run well when it was new but is really struggling to open programs now I am thinking of putting in an SSD as a boot drive and moving the HDD into the optical bay and upgrading the RAM to the max of Also possibly Pavilion 1100? HP dv6 Should upgrade I upgrading to Windows I think would confuse them My dad does a lot of photo editing using Lightroom Other than that it s basic word excel amp Internet browsing only Is it worth it for me to put a few hundred dollars I figure about into the laptop or should they look for a new desktop instead It would be worth it to me to extend the life of the laptop with a view to buying new down the road Here are the current specs HP Pavilion dv t- GB RAM Intel Core Duo T Should I upgrade HP Pavilion dv6 1100? Ghz bit Vista ATI Mobility Radeon HD Thank you nbsp

A:Should I upgrade HP Pavilion dv6 1100?

I would keep the HDD, clean install Windows 7 (check out this article for help: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/clean-install, it is for Windows 8, but the same applies to Win 7), and upgrade the RAM. I wouldnt add an SSD because your CPU is pretty old and the SSD will be bottlenecked by it and therefore it would not help. I recommend Clean installing Windows over the SSD because clean installing gives the "New" PC feel to old hardware like an SSD does to semi-new PCs. The RAM will also make a huge difference. After you clean install Windows, report back and ill tell you what drivers you need (you only really need a display driver).

I think it is a good choice to wait for a new laptop down the road. This upgrade will gain you a few years, but dont expect to game on it. Keep in mind, clean installing Windows will delete all of your data! So use these sites to help assist you in your back up adventure:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/back-up-your-files (For Windows 7, but Vista is basically the same I think).
I recommend this less since it transfers old settings (which can be causing the performance hit you are experiencing) to the new install: http://lifehacker.com/5983652/how-t...without-losing-your-files-settings-and-tweaks

Windows 7 will set you back a hundred bucks: http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366680086&sr=8-1&keywords=windows 7
But it is worth the upgrade. If you are a student you can sometimes get discounts thru Microsoft but since they want to separate themselves from Win7, they may not offer this anymore. But they still do for Win8, but it is hard to find an institutions other than universities.

Use this tool to find out what RAM supports your system: http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner (tell me if the link doesnt work since I am running OS X now and it automatically sends me to the download for OS X, so I cut off some of the URL)

Finally, install the Catalyst Software Suite after you have clean installed Windows 7 and added the RAM: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista64.aspx

Keep in Mind: You should install the newest BIOS revision for your laptop before upgrading to Win 7 to avoid errors: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...TypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3873224&taskId=135

Don't be afraid to ask questions . Sorry if this essay is intimidating .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/should-i-upgrade-hp-pavilion-dv6-1100.191797/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi,

my laptop is a packard bell dot (same as the acer aspire one zg5) equipped with a hannstar j mv-4 94v, I disassembled it to fix a wireless module problem, then when I assembled it back and put on the battery the power and charge leds flash for a second and nothing happens when I try to power it on.
same reaction happens when I plug on the power supply or put on the battery.
even the battery doesn't seem to charge anymore (its indicator just flashes for a second as I said)

here's a video:

any help or suggestion?

Thanks,

A:Dead netbook except leds flash once when power supply plugged

One of the ribbon cables may not be securely connected. Them things are a pain to deal with.

If you hadn't previously worked on it, I was going to suggest the power supply may have gone bad. Since you worked on it and that is when the problem started, its been my experience the problem is nearly always workers error.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dead-netbook-except-leds-flash-once-when-power-supply-plugged.191414/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hello my friends,

my friend gave me a old CPU but he say that the problem is only PSU, so I buy new one. the problem is I can boot from 4-5 seconds after that it turns off. any one help me to where is the problem? thank you

A:How do you know if it is a dead motherboard?

mike081682 said:

Hello my friends,

my friend gave me a old CPU but he say that the problem is only PSU, so I buy new one. the problem is I can boot from 4-5 seconds after that it turns off. any one help me to where is the problem? thank youClick to expand...

The CPU is a specific component within the computer, its no bigger than a cell phone.

What reasoning did your friend give, for thinking it was the PSU?
Have you tried trouble shooting the issue on your own yet? If so what have you tried?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-you-know-if-it-is-a-dead-motherboard.191213/
Relevancy 27.95%

I have a Toshiba Satellite a205-s5000 that I replaced the power jack in. They sent me the wrong plug, mine was hard wired into the board so I cut and spliced the new plug to the wires coming out of the board and still no power. It has 2 red wires and 2 black wires, would it make a difference of which red wire and which black wire I connect to the red and black ones coming out of the board? Thank You for any help.

A:Different kind of dead

So they sent you a jack that needed to be soldered directly to the motherboard and the original jack was wired to the motherboard?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/different-kind-of-dead.188377/
Relevancy 27.09%

Greetings
First excuse me for my bad English
Please advice
I disassemble my laptop to clean the processor fan According to the instructions of dell support guide
I have assemble again ,but it didn't work
No signal
No lights
With battery and without
DEAD

Regards

A:Dell Inspiron 1564 dead

There is bound to be one of the interface connections that did not make good contacts. Trust me it is very difficult to make sure all interface connections are all properly seated in their connector.

I recently worked on a Notebook that had five separate boards inside and if any one of them was disconnected or wasn't properly seated, the machine would not boot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1564-dead.188035/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello Community My name is Andrew Fratello and I work for a computer repair shop in Florida I m new in the field at a professional level but I ve been tinkering with computers since I was a little kid I m new to this site as well and I hope it to bring me some good help with some of my future work if I cant trouble shoot it myself The HP Pavilion Dv - dx Laptop came into the shop today The problem with the PC is that it doesn t have any display HP laptop Dv6-3025dx issue Pavilion display at all You can turn it on and it will stay on just fine but even when I plug in a VGA cord connected to one of our shop HP Pavilion Dv6-3025dx laptop display issue monitors the screen still isn t displaying If it was a LCD screen issue I m sure I would have been getting video feed from the external monitor which leads me to believe that the motherboard is malfunctioning I want to double check here with you guys and get a couple opinions before I let the guy know what the problem is and what needs replacing The last thing I want to do is have the gentleman buy a new part that is worth a couple hundred and then it turning out to not have been the problem at all Please get back to me ASAP Thanks and looking forward to your responses nbsp

A:HP Pavilion Dv6-3025dx laptop display issue

My guess would be the video chip. If you are not getting it on either screen.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv6-3025dx-laptop-display-issue.187734/
Relevancy 27.09%

Dormant to dead ssd? kingston ssdnow100
Hi - I am setting up a new used laptop, and wanted to use an SSD drive I have sitting around. For months, dormant.

I want to see what is on this ssd and decide whether I want to format it. With an external sata dock, I CAN see a regular drive, but the SSD will not show up.
Can an SSD go bad / die if not plugged in for months?

A:Dormant to dead SSD? Kingston SSDNow100

No, an SSD will not normally fail if it lies unused for a long time. However, external circumstances like humidity, temperature, electricity, moisture, etc. can affect it. It's rather strange that you can't see it in the external dock.

Another option is to connect it to a working computer directly and try to access it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dormant-to-dead-ssd-kingston-ssdnow100.187067/
Relevancy 27.52%

I just bought a Corsair M gaming mouse I installed both the updated firmware and the drivers for the ports? USB dead Corsair = M60 mouse and played a few rounds of Medal of Honor Warfigher on multiplayer The mouse performed pretty good I played for a good three hours without a problem I then shut Corsair M60 = dead USB ports? down to attend to something away from my PC When I rebooted my PC two hours later the USB ports in the rear hub of my setup -- where the M was plugged -- were no longer working The mouse was unresponsive I did a hard shut Corsair M60 = dead USB ports? down plugged the mouse into a USB port in the front panel then boot my PC into Windows The mouse worked but the ports in rear USB hub remained unresponsive So I did the quot unplug the power cord wait five minutes then reboot quot band aid solution which -- as expected -- worked Windows installed its generic mouse drivers I m using those now I ve uninstalled the M driver for now but have kept the firmware update intact I would really like to be able to use the driver s features But I m worried that I might run into the same issue again and be forced into another hard reset What could have caused the problem I know it s a lot to ask but I d like to first hear your advice and inputs and perhaps learn more about this issue before I try re-installing the Corsair drivers I ve got an Asus P X Pro motherboard As mentioned the M is plugged into a rear USB port Here are the specs for the mouse As always your help and advice will be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Corsair M60 = dead USB ports?

Try rolling back that driver update

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/corsair-m60-dead-usb-ports.186546/
Relevancy 25.37%

I have a hp pavillion d4000 and I want to upgrade the processor. It has a 3.2 ghz amd but when I go to hp's website to see what the max processor I can put in it it hasl only a 2.4 ghz processor listed in the replacement parts list.

A:Processor upgrade in HP Pavilion D4000

Whats the exact model number?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processor-upgrade-in-hp-pavilion-d4000.185689/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hey guys so its been like a week now of me trying to get audio on my computer, Iv download, uninstall my audio drivers to my computer nothing has worked.
I had 1 Logitech headset that would only work for my computer, Any new headsets or speakers I bought wouldn't work.
When I go to my control panel> hardware and sound> device manager it says I have,Real teck higher definition installed.
The Small volume icon in the bottom right corner has an x in it, And when I open volume mixer,
It says no audio devices installed.
I already checked Bios.
Please someone help me before I go mad!
Appreciate it.
As well when I go into Dxdiag, It says error problem getting extra sound info

This is my dxdiag Shot

Also in my Msinfo32, When I clicked problem devices, Nothing showed up

A:Going crazy. HP Pavilion a6345f PC with no audio

Have you tried uninstalling all audio drivers and rebooting, then let windows install it's generic audio driver and see if there's sound? Sometimes another program or driver will corrupt the audio driver and requires un-installing the hardware (in Device Manager) and re-booting, then see if Windows finds a driver for it. I looked on Asus website for the latest audio drivers, but for the 4 versions of this motherboard, none have driver support for Vista or newer, only up to XP. Why are you using Vista, anyway? That's arguably the worst OS in existence, mostly because of driver problems. Still, Vista should have generic drivers for on board audio in it's driver database or you could try using the XP drivers from Asus http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_478/P4PEXSE/#download . If that doesn't work you may have a fried sound card. I've seen this problem a few times on older systems, either all drivers and everything looks good but still no sound, or drivers won't install because this hardware has a problem. In these cases I was forced to assume the output side was fried (after hours of troubleshooting and trying 3rd party drivers) and just install a cheap ($20) audio card (which probably sounds better than the on board audio anyway). I see you have PCI and PCIe slots so any card will fit. Here's a decent card for cheap; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020
Good luck!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/going-crazy-hp-pavilion-a6345f-pc-with-no-audio.185117/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi,

My system is as follows:
ASUS P4PE Mobo
NVidia GeForce4 MX440 graphics with AGP8X
80GB HDD
512 MBRAM
Thermaltake PSU
Philips 17" Flatscreen Monitor

OK so my monitor has bit the dust. I dont want to upgrade any of my computer components because its too old. About 9.5 yrs. I want an LCD monitor thats going to overlap from now until I buy a complete new system. I dont want to buy a monitor that will be underspec'd for the new system. Im not very knowledgeable on their resolutions and whats not compatible or why, nor about aspect ratios and compatibility.

Question:
- My Video Card has a max resolution 1024x768 pix . Can I use a 16.9 and the standard resolutions of today?

Thanks for any help.

A:Replacing dead monitor for older system

You can use any monitor with any graphics card, with 2 caveats; must have compatible ports (DVI,VGA,HDMI,DisplayPort) or use an adapter, and your resolution will be limited to the component with the smaller value (your card's 1024x768). So until you build the new system, it will display the same size as your old one, with a wide black bar on either side (but should look better anyway). The sweet spot these days is 23" widescreen (less than $150), 24" under $200, and 27" start at $250. I have an Acer 23" and it's big enough for me. Remember, though, when you have a bigger monitor it will run at lower frame rates with a given video card, so keep that in mind when spec'ing the new system. Until 3 months ago I was where you are (Pentium 4 3.4 GHz). I gradually upgraded my parts until I ended up with this;

Asus P8Z77-V, Intel [email protected] GHz, Kingston HyperX [email protected] MHz, EVGA GTX 550 Ti [email protected] MHZ/2257 MHz, Corsair H100 liquid cooling, Ultra X4 750w, Corsair Carbide 400R, 2 x WDC Green 2TB, 1 x WDC Blue 500GB, 1 x Hitachi 400 GB, 1 x Hitachi 1TB external, LG M-Disc Super Multi DVD, 6 x 120mm case fans, Acer 23" [email protected], Microsoft Wireless Desktop 3000, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I've got about $1400 total in it (plus many months of research and list-making, which was half the fun) and it's so much faster I can hardly believe it, even without an SSD (soon!). So you can get a monitor now, then find a case you like and move into it, get your fans set up the way you want, then one day get a Z77 mobo and i5-3570K and switch everything over. You'll need a new hard drive, your old one is IDE and the new mobos are SATA. Later you can get a decent video card, faster RAM, an SSD, etc. BTW, the integrated Intel HD 4000 video on the 3570K is awesome, I used it for a week just to try it out, and it played most of my games okay. I envy you - for you, the fun is just beginning. New hardware aimed at the enthusiast market is a multi-billion dollar business now, so competition is fierce, prices are low, and great new stuff comes out almost daily. Do the research, read the reviews, and have fun.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacing-dead-monitor-for-older-system.185155/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello, I'm just wondering if it is possible for a PSU to stop delivering power to case fans due to aging/dying or would my case fans really be dead and in need of replacement.

A:Aging PSU or genuinely dead case fans?

How old is the power supply? Also, how many case fans do you have? It seems unlikely that the power supply would stop sending power to the case fans only. If everything else is working the way it should, perhaps your case fans are dead.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/aging-psu-or-genuinely-dead-case-fans.184874/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi

So I'm going to upgrade the default HDD on my laptop HP Pavilion DV6 2153.eo. There are two things that I'm not so sure of tho.

1. Can I get a SATA/III SSD HDD and throw it in the laptop <- are the SATA/III SSD HDDs backward compatible with/to SATA/II

2. What HDD should I get, it should at least be something like 180Gb but then also the price shouldn't be sky high...and then ofc I should also be able to get it here in north Europe

P.S. I'm also going to get more ram...is there anything else that can be upgraded..?

A:Upgrading HDD on a HP Pavilion DV6

...a bump here maybe...gonna need to order the parts soon so O_o

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-hdd-on-a-hp-pavilion-dv6.183619/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have a HP Presario CQ62 notebook that just totally died.
I closed it up after using it normally, came back and opened the lid and it was dead. No lights, not even power supply indicator light. Nothing happens when the power button is pushed of course.
I thought and hoped it was a faulty power supply and a flat battery, but I have a spare power supply so this was able to be ruled out.
Not that it's relevant here, but it's running Windows 7 64 bit.
Anyone got any ideas where to look for a solution to this? As it won't fire up on battery or power it has to be after those.

A:Dead HP Presario CQ62 notebook

Remove the memory and re install it... Remove the battery and try AC power only. With the battery out and AC out, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Re install the battery and see if the laptop powers up

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dead-hp-presario-cq62-notebook.181184/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello first post here but I am really stumped about this A couple weeks ago I bought a bare bones kit that included a w Diablotek PSU Long story short It didn t work at all no fans no beeps nothing So I tested it with another PSU and everything worked fine I figured 600w Dead? Diablotek fix? PSU Obvious -- it was just defective and I exchanged it for a new one Well the new one still doesn t work and I am now thinking I did something wrong The PSU it worked with is a w with a pin eps vs the new w -Pin -Pin EPS Connector I have tried using only pins for eps and for the mobo connection already with no result Connecting Power Supplies is usually foolproof I was just wondering if anyone knew any stupid mistakes people sometime make before I send it back for another new one Thanks is advance I can t post a link to the Barebones but I hope this will work tiger direct DOT com applications searchtools item-details asp EdpNo amp csid nbsp

A:Diablotek 600w PSU -- Obvious fix? Dead?

I doubt you did anything wrong (it still works with a different PSU right?) Diabloteks are just absolute garbage, it is unlikely that the Diablotek PSU can actually output more than half its rating if it can even do that. I wouldn't worry too much, as long as the system works with another PSU just scrap the Diablotek and put something good in. Some good PSU brands I generally recommend are : Antec, Corsair (Except builder series), Delta, Enermax, FSP, PC Power & Cooling, SeaSonic.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/diablotek-600w-psu-obvious-fix-dead.177437/
Relevancy 25.37%

I am sorry to bother you with something simple but I can't seem to find the right info. I have an HP Pavilion 533W that is running a 1.79GHZ processor, I have not removed it, only looked for the specs..

I have an Intel Celeron D 2.53 GHZ /256/533 that I bought new for a similar model but the motherboard ended up bad. I would like to upgrade with this extra processor I have but I can't find enough info on these to find out if it will work. I am almost down to just having to uninstall it and compare the cpu's.

I was hoping that someone would know the answer since this is not my strong point in the computer business. Thanks in advance for any help.

A:Want to upgrade CPU on a Pavilion 533W

If the Celeron fits in the CPU socket, try it...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/want-to-upgrade-cpu-on-a-pavilion-533w.175181/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi Guys Got given a HP Pavilion DV from a friend who said it was busted i ve replaced the harddrive and ram and have got it working Last night i installed a lite version of XP with sp built in It installed perfectly in under minutes However i cannot get the wireless to work I downloaded and dv4000 on XPLite (wireless issues) Pavilion SP3 installed the drivers from the HP website and this allowed me to turn the wireless on and i get the little bubble in the bottom left corner saying there are wireless networks in range however if i click the balloon and it searches for wireless it cannot find any even though the router is right next to it After about a hour of playing around trying to get it working i downloaded another driver pack from the HP XPLite SP3 on Pavilion dv4000 (wireless issues) website and this included a wireless application i think it was HP Wireless assistant but i can confirm that later today With the application running i can find wireless connections but the actual wiress adapter still cannot find any When using the software to connect to the wireless it allows me to enter the wpa key and the windows connection says its a bridge network but it never makes it passed authencation Obviously the drivers are still wrong Can anyone point me in the right direction Cheers Nick nbsp

A:XPLite SP3 on Pavilion dv4000 (wireless issues)

nickt1988 said:

When using the software to connect to the wireless it allows me to enter the wpa key and the windows connection says its a bridge network but it never makes it passed authencation.Click to expand...

Some wireless configuration application disables the windows built-in wireless configuration manager so as not to cause any conflicts. Using the HP wireless assistant you can successfully connect to the network? Windows built-in cant?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xplite-sp3-on-pavilion-dv4000-wireless-issues.176228/
Relevancy 26.66%

I got a Gateway MX8711 laptop, it was supposed to be just missing an HDD, but the unit is completely dead. I've never got to see any indicator light, any whiff of a fan.

Since the alternative was throwing it away, I took the whole thing apart. All I know is that the PSU tests successfully at 19V, no obvious indications of burns or bad solders near the POS, and there is continuity on the board. The highlighted transistor S1040 gets 19V too*. The battery charge terminals give 0.85V.

Where do I go from here?

* See i39.tinypic.com/29dz2ir.jpg , I can't post links yet.

A:Gateway laptop completely dead, mobo gets power

Sorry to report this to you, but the Gateway Ml, M7, and MX series of laptops from about 2007 through 2010 or later, have a very high (my term) failure rate... the motherboard goes.... Some technicians believe that the motherboard fails because the CPU cooling fan plugs up with lint, and the board or processor overheats... We have seen perhaps 36 or 37 of them... dead and not repairable... since 2007... except by the replacement of the system board... The average cost of the system board is $127 plus shipping...
Others believe the failure is because of the manufacturer who was in control at the time they were built... The problems appears to be the same whether it was built by Gateway or the other two companies who have been in line for the building process. Gateway was bought out by other companies in Korea about 2003 or 2004... a pretty reliable machine until then
I would contact Gateway or a technician who specializes in Gateway to see what their cost of repair is these days... but we are not sure we would want the repaired one either...
A look on eBay will affirm that there are lots of Gateway parts, but almost never any working Gateway motherboards...
You might want to take it to a certified tech who works on Gateway laptops for his or her evaluation...
But your time will be better spent shopping for a better unit.
The hard drive is still good, as is the memory and most other components, in our experience, but it is the motherboard that is the one part that is unrepairable.
We will be interested to see if there are other replies that have more hopeful news.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gateway-laptop-completely-dead-mobo-gets-power.176211/
Relevancy 24.94%

I am hoping one of you fine people can help me to find a replacement motherboard for my HP Pavilion p p I have gone through the Pavilion Replacement HP p6226p for motherboard needed whole troubleshooting routine -- all peripherals RAM replaced with known-good power supply amp CPU and still can not get into the BIOS setup or boot Replacement motherboard needed for HP Pavilion p6226p past the HP splash screen I m down to replacing the motherboard now This computer currently has Motherboard -- M N -LA Viola CPU -- AMD Athlon II x Quad Core Graphics -- NVIDIA GeForce Integrated I m fine with a replacement motherboard with at least equivalent graphics as I do occasionally game with my boyfriend League of Legends Magicka running on lowest settings is fine with me I Replacement motherboard needed for HP Pavilion p6226p m in the market for a new computer but would like to keep this one limping along for another months or so if all it will cost me is a motherboard I have a Frys amp Microcenter nearby located in Houston and would like to go pick up a shiny new motherboard ASAP so if you could point me to one on their site it would be greatly appreciated Thank you for your time nbsp

A:Replacement motherboard needed for HP Pavilion p6226p

Check here and make sure that you have a PayPal account:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=HP+M2N78-LA+Motherboard&_sacat=See-All-Categories

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacement-motherboard-needed-for-hp-pavilion-p6226p.175822/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have a Logitech Performance MX mouse It s maybe a year old actually it s months old today as a matter Mouse/'dead spots' on desk of fact just looked it up I have a spot on my computer desk where I ve always used the mouse It seems like it s creating dead spots where the pointer will kind of hesitate on screen and I don t get the precision I Mouse/'dead spots' on desk m used to Works well in Mouse/'dead spots' on desk other areas of the desk but not as great and precise as it once did Plus I can t get used to having the mouse there I ve cleaned the pads of the mouse cleaned the desk put in a brand new fully charged NiMh battery any other suggestions I m also wondering about range I wanted to plug the tiny usb connector into the back of my tower which is maybe feet away from the mouse but it doesn t register well at all if I plug it into a front usb slot which is only maybe a foot closer it works fine nbsp

A:Mouse/'dead spots' on desk

put a piece of paper under the mouse and see if it helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mouse-dead-spots-on-desk.175246/
Relevancy 25.37%

I have a HP Pavilion DV7 - 4285dx which comes with a Multi DVD +/- DL blah blah whatever drive in it. (no bluray)

I would like to know if I could find a replacement bluray drive for this laptop.

Does anyone know where I could find this or if this is even possible?

I would assume its possible since that I had bought a bluray drive for my PC, and it works.

A:Pavilion DV7 Blu-ray drive replacement

After some more research I found a replacement part that should work.

For anyone looking for similar answers, the part number is 605417-001 CT21L

Just do a google search with part of that number or all to help find the correct parts.

Thanks everyone....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pavilion-dv7-blu-ray-drive-replacement.174167/
Relevancy 25.37%

I hav a computer that has its intergrated video card which stopped working because of the video card which is attached to the mother board .It is one of the newer post 2007 compact desktop computer with a flat screen monitor but the challenge is that the good friend of the family got an extension video card but it is too big to fit in that machine.How can I get a video card that will fit the above machine abovein which is a newer late 2000's -today.The operating system is vista.

A:HP Pavilion Slimline PC s7727-cb

This slimline computer probably has a PCI express 2 video slot on the motherboard. You will have to buy a small form factor or low-profile video card for the computer. They are available. Here is an example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133356

Notice the small adapter plate in the pictures. You may have to install it on the video card before you can install it into the computer. It is not difficult to do

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-slimline-pc-s7727-cb.172848/
Relevancy 27.52%

im thinking of getting a gaming computer to run fps's so will something like this do?Processor: 2 x Xeon 5160 Core Duo Processors 3.0ghz (yes it has 2 dual core processors installed)

Memory: 4096mb (4gb) supports upto 32gb

Hard drive: 250gb Sata (can take scsi, ide, sata drives)

Optical drive: dvdrw/cdrw drive

Graphics: Nvidia NVS285 Graphics card (watch 2 monitors at a time) (we can supply a matrox graphics card for 4 monitors at a time in our Ebay shop)

Operating system: Windows XP Professional 32bit (supports 64bit)

Ports: Front: Headphone, microphone, and 2 USB 2.0, 1 IEEE 1394; Rear: 5 USB 2.0, 1 standard serial port, 1 parallel port, PS/2 keyboard and mouse, 1 RJ-45, 1 audio in, 1 audio out, 1 IEEE 1394; Internal: 1 USB 2.0

Slots and bays: 7 slots: 1 PCI Express (x16) Graphics slot, 1 PCI Express (x16 mechanically, x4 electrically), 1 PCI Express (x8 mechanically, x4 electrically), 1 133 MHz PCI-X slot, 2 100 MHz PCI-X slots, and 1 legacy PCI slot
Power supply: 800Watts

A:Will this run games like Dead Island or CoD?

xeon processors arn't designed to play games but yes they should in theory work, not sure how it will go in load balancing, may only use one of them in the game. I have looked on the nvidia website and that card you have is very old though and isn't designed for gaming so swap it out for a gaming card (unless put that card onto the PCIe 8x slot)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-this-run-games-like-dead-island-or-cod.172133/
Relevancy 24.94%

recently purchased the above base unit and TV. i can play Xbox on it and use portable speakers which work fine. However when i switch to PC mode there is no sound and the speakers are not recognised. Is this a manufacturers fault or something else? Please reply asap.

A:No sound from HP Pavilion G5460uk/ Samsung B2230H

What type of cable are you using to connect the PC to the TV?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-from-hp-pavilion-g5460uk-samsung-b2230h.171073/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi, My pc recentlty started looking like this, is my graphics card dead?

Pics to follow, once i know how to.

Relevancy 27.09%

Just to let everyone know first, I'm not very techy/good at this stuff. I know several things but I'm far from good haha.
So my problem:
Every time I turn on the power for my computer the fans run but the light on the power button blinks once and then stays off. I have to try several times to hold the button/turn it off and then try turning it on again before it totally starts. I'm wondering if this is just a power supply problem or a motherboard issue? I've got an Acer Aspire AX3400-E2202 AMD Athlon IIX2 215 dual-core processor.
Also, if I were to get a new power supply unit would I have to stick to the watts of what it is now or could I move up to something like 300?

Thanks in advance

A:Motherboard dead or power supply?

Yes try a new power supply first... 350 to 500 watts is okay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-dead-or-power-supply.170415/
Relevancy 27.52%

I m pretty sure my PSU is dead but I just wanted to check with people who have more expertise before I go buy a new one I m a software guy My PSU is an XFX B I ve had it for maybe months Over the past - months if my case was standing need dead expert probably -- PSU opinion upright it it would randomly shut off I could only get it to post boot etc if PSU probably dead -- need expert opinion I laid it on its side which is exactly what I did Last night on its side it shut off entirely PSU probably dead -- need expert opinion and still will not turn back on So I ve been using a multimeter to diagnose the problem My power cord in has the appropriate V before it gets to the power supply Having the power supply switched on and plugged in I then went to the pin ATX connector With the black prong on a ground I checked every other pin All of them were V except for the green PS ON V and the purple VSB V My motherboard has a green and orange light on when it s all hooked up and occasionally the fans will twitch if I hit the power button usually not though My thoughts are that my mobo is probably fine but my PSU is dead Does this conclusion make sense Is there anything else I should try before buying new hardware nbsp

A:PSU probably dead -- need expert opinion

You may have been overloading it. What are your system specs? It sounds like you killed it. I think you should grab a spare power supply and "breadboard" that MB and CPU (run the different PSU, motherboard, and processor on a non conductive surface, like plastic).

Please wait for another opinion before throwing anything out, as I am no expert.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/psu-probably-dead-need-expert-opinion.169295/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hey guys and gals, I'm new here (obviously) but last night, I picked up my computer, popped the screen open and tried to move my pointer.

It was froze where I last left it and nothing would move. I held the power button for about 15 seconds and it didn't power down (the fans were still going and everything) I unplugged it, and nothing happened, so I took the battery out (and obviously it died) I put the battery back in and tried turning it on but nothing. No lights, nothing!

I plugged the charger in and still nothing, no charging light or anything. Just lays there... like my girlfriend

Any ideas?

It's a Dell Inspiron 1501 (got it in 2003) running XP.
I have replaced the battery before, and also the charger (a little over a year ago)

Thanks,
Kanikas

A:Laptop froze, now dead

Kanikas said:

Hey guys and gals, I'm new here (obviously) but last night, I picked up my computer, popped the screen open and tried to move my pointer.

It was froze where I last left it and nothing would move. I held the power button for about 15 seconds and it didn't power down (the fans were still going and everything) I unplugged it, and nothing happened, so I took the battery out (and obviously it died) I put the battery back in and tried turning it on but nothing. No lights, nothing!

I plugged the charger in and still nothing, no charging light or anything. Just lays there... like my girlfriend

Any ideas?

It's a Dell Inspiron 1501 (got it in 2003) running XP.
I have replaced the battery before, and also the charger (a little over a year ago)

Thanks,
KanikasClick to expand...

Try a different wall outlet. Make sure ALL power cord connections are snug.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-froze-now-dead.168913/
Relevancy 24.94%

Im not very good with computers, I only really know how to turn it on and type.

I got a HP Pavilion dv4 1465dx notebook last year. The RAM is 4.00 GB, and the Harddrive is 194GB free of 286 GB. It uses Windows Vista.

My sister has all of Sims2 games and expansions.

I always try and diskcleanup and get rid of unneccessary things when I can, but ive always wanted to play games with my friends but couldnt since I got it and BEFORE my sis put sims on it. Often I feel like my older desktop is faster than this.

I was wondering if there was anything I can do? When i googled many people said 4.00 GB RAM was enough to play games so im not really sure why its so slow.

Thanks!

A:Making HP Pavilion dv4 1465dx notebook faster?

Download and run free Surperantispyware and tell us what it finds. What antivirus program is installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/making-hp-pavilion-dv4-1465dx-notebook-faster.168298/
Relevancy 26.23%

I have just tried to update the Bios on aa Acer aspire one zg5 after several attempts all I get now is a brief orange flicker from the charge led previously the unit worked fine on the mains adaptor. Have I damaged the internal power card by turning it of and on to much during this proccess? If so is it possible to get a replacement card?

A:Acer One ZG5 dead, only brief flicker on charge light when main adapter plugged in

Hi Gmeorge :wave:

Welcome to :grinthumb

You can read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.

System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acer-one-zg5-dead-only-brief-flicker-on-charge-light-when-main-adapter-plugged-in.168083/
Relevancy 27.52%

I'm currently having a hardware fault, happened awhile ago now but I can afford a new GPU now if I have to but thought I'd futher investergate whats going on. So thought I'd ask for some help.

Turned PC on one day, got the blue screen booted into safe mode tried a few things forgot how I found out but I disabled my display drivers and then my PC was able to boot up without safe mode. Since then all my PC does is watch movies, surf the net and just the basic stuff.

So my GPU is still sending a video signal but if I enable the device, my PC either gets a blue screen or hangs on a black screen after loading windows vista

The card I was running is a geforce 9800GTX-2 in yes my PSU is powerful enough

A:GPU dead? Displays picture only

"So my GPU is still sending a video signal but if I enable the device"...

Graphics cards... or anything else in a computer need drivers to function. Download and install the proper drivers for your GeForce card here:
Nvidia 9800GTX-2

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gpu-dead-displays-picture-only.167608/
Relevancy 27.52%

I continue to Dead II processor? X6 AMD Phenom struggle in getting one of my latest builds working and this time I have a feeling that the CPU could be dead It is Dead processor? AMD Phenom II X6 a brand-new AMD T six-core processor that I bought from Newegg last month Problem is I switched from a seemingly broken MSI FX-GD to a brand new ASRock GX-Pro and alas it doesn t work either When the system is turned on the debug LED displays a series of fast numerical codes and then stops at quot quot with no onboard video or other signs of life does NOT POST I have tried removing all but one memory module removing graphics cards and clearing CMOS several times I am using a w Corsair power supply This is a very similar issue I was having on the MSI board where the debug LED would sit at quot FF quot and would not POST either The only real difference is that this ASR board is equipped with UEFI BIOS but I haven t seen or have been able to actually use it at all This is starting to lead me to the conclusion that the processor is dead which has never happened to me before but perhaps I need to get it replaced Any thoughts nbsp

A:Dead processor? AMD Phenom II X6

Easiest solution would be to pop for a budget CPU or try to borrow a loaner. If the board boots you'll have your answer.
Conversely, send the CPU back and take your chances with the RMA.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dead-processor-amd-phenom-ii-x6.167577/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hey guys,
I need a cheap laptop that shouldn't be used for much more than MS Office and casual gaming, for games like Dawn of War S1, Dawn of War S2, World of Warcraft and other such games and RTSs, could anyone check it out for me? I've had a look but i'd like more opinions.

Link ---> PC World ---> HP Pavilion G6-1009ea - Red

Dual Core Processer 2.3GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
4GB RAM
500GB HDD

A:Can you review this HP Pavilion G6-1009ea

We could help you out more effectively if you posted a link to the machine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-you-review-this-hp-pavilion-g6-1009ea.167340/
Relevancy 25.37%

I have an old HP Pavilion 513W Desktop - System # P9857A, Serial # MX234A4770, with a 845GL Chipset and a 478 Socket I think ?Where can I get a replacement Motherboard NEW or Used?

A:Where can I find a new or used HP Pavilion 513W motherboard?

http://www.laptopteks.com/HP/Deskto...-(US)-(P9857A)/Motherboard-(System-Board).asp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/where-can-i-find-a-new-or-used-hp-pavilion-513w-motherboard.167087/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi i am hard capacity drive for Pavilion Max zd7000? trying to mend a friends laptop the HD has packed in and i need to replace it The laptop is a HP Max hard drive capacity for Pavilion zd7000? Pavilion zd the hd is a toshiba gig lol and i am just wondering what the max hd is i Max hard drive capacity for Pavilion zd7000? can put in it I have seen these below but am unsure if it would be ok to install i have no knowledge of laptop requirements like PSU demands etc so i need your help in getting the biggest HD affordable for this unit Here s the one s i have looked at based on dimentions http www ebuyer com product http www ebuyer com product The original one is a Toshiba MK GAX and i think looking on the net its an IDE its mm depth the first one above is mm and the other mm so unsure if the first would fit being mm thinner Hope you can point me in the right direction Kindest regards Lee nbsp

A:Max hard drive capacity for Pavilion zd7000?

Ayup Lee....again

Looks like you can go with any 60GB, 80GB, 100GB, or 120GB (Non SATA) Hard drive. That HD in your first link is a 9.5mm....The 9.4 is probably a typo.

Here's the website i looked up

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/max-hard-drive-capacity-for-pavilion-zd7000.166488/
Relevancy 24.94%

My HP Pavilion dv - dx Entertainment Notebook PC goes to blank display frequently during working on the same It is having Vista with dv4-1465dx entertainment Problems HP notebook Pavilion Home Premium Edition installed The only indication at that time is the blinking of the POWER ON button When we press space bar Problems with HP Pavilion dv4-1465dx entertainment notebook or Enter key it tries to load to the original condition and after getting the previous screen loaded for Problems with HP Pavilion dv4-1465dx entertainment notebook few seconds it Problems with HP Pavilion dv4-1465dx entertainment notebook goes back to the blank state with POWER ON button blinking If I put some light from torch or something on the display sometimes I can see the screen loaded In such cases of sleep activity the CTRL ALT DEL won t work pressing continuously on the POWER ON button won t work in order to shutdown and I had to remove the battery to start the Notebook again So after searching the internet for the same kind of issues I re-installed my OS from Vista to Windows bit and I installed some of the drivers from the HP Site corresponding to my Note Book HP Pavilion dv - dx Entertainment Notebook PC and Windows Bit OS After that also it is going to the blank state but returns immediately by showing a message as quot Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered quot So when I checked this in HP site as as per that I updated the Intel Graphics driver for the chip set corresponding to my Note Book and Windows Bit OS In that case also the volume control display on the screen was not showing anything while increasing decreasing the volume but it is working as normal without any display Again based on the search in HP Site I reinstalled my BIOS from HP F to Insyde Flash F After that when I press quot F quot while booting the machine I m not getting the options such as Safe Mode Safe Mode with Command Prompt Restore Last known Good configuration etc I m getting a red screen with some other options containing some different technical terms Is it because of the wrong BIOS updating or something else If it is related to BIOS can I downgrade from F to F Or is there any other way to get the above mentioned options such as quot Safe Mode Safe Mode with Command Prompt Restore Last known Good configuration etc quot same as pressing the F button Expecting the support in this matter nbsp

A:Problems with HP Pavilion dv4-1465dx entertainment notebook

How old is this computer? The power supply may be on it's way out...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-with-hp-pavilion-dv4-1465dx-entertainment-notebook.166313/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hey there Hope I am posting this in the right forum So today I got my self two new mm fans mm Urgent dead? PSU needed, motherboard help or fan cathodes but most of all a new case I took everything off and stripped my old case and put everything in new Everything connected up and the Front Panel connectors connected as well Here is where the problem lies I am not sure if my front panel connectors are in the right places I know which socket they go in but no Idea in what Urgent help needed, motherboard or PSU dead? order their polarity etc So once i connected them possibly wrong way I plug in the power and hit the Power button The PC turns on and then INSTANTLY shuts of within fraction of a second I see the fans spin Urgent help needed, motherboard or PSU dead? and light up but at the same time they all go off Now i tried nearlly every different way the front panel connectors could go and still same problem as above Could this be a mobo issue PSU issue Am I totaly screwed Or could it be the front panel connectors connected incorrently faulty PS I tried to see if the problem persists with just fan connected without any other hardware no cpu gpu hdd s etc etc and still same prob Really needed to get my PC ready and up for tomorrow as I got crap loads of college work to do and this laptop I am using now is terrible can t handle photoshop X Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Urgent help needed, motherboard or PSU dead?

Did you remember to connect the 4 or 6 pin aux12v line to the motherboard near the CPU?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/urgent-help-needed-motherboard-or-psu-dead.165883/
Relevancy 24.94%

i have an hp notebook (see title) running w7 sp1, that is only 13 days old. just yesterday it started making a very annoying sound. it just makes the same 2 tone sound really fast. when you click on the sound icon in the task bar the meter reads 100%. nothing has been installed recently before this started. the sound dialog box under recording shows the mic meter steady around 50% and the stereo mix meter at 100%. it's almost like constant feed back but i don't think that's it. i talked to hp and they said to upgrade my bios but the ftp link they sent me to doesn't exist. anxious to provide any other information needed. thx

A:HP Pavilion g7 1070us sounds like motor boat

It was the driver...uninstalled and reinstalled. Fixed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-g7-1070us-sounds-like-motor-boat.165420/
Relevancy 26.66%

hello everyone i have very little knowledge about laptop hardware and this is why i am posting Presario on Dead Compaq graphics card V6000 here i have a compaq presario v Dead graphics card on Compaq Presario V6000 and it has been running fine for the past couple of years a while back it started making noises and started Dead graphics card on Compaq Presario V6000 heating up but it never Dead graphics card on Compaq Presario V6000 self booted or shutdown by itself i had planned to get it serviced and clean its fan etc but it got delayed days back when i tried turning it on it just wouldn t i mean i switch on the power i see the volume and power LEDs turned on but the screen wont appear i believe its graphics card has burned up or something i have dropped it off the repair shop and all that they are doing is just scaring me saying that the graphics card can t be replaced as it is the entire motherboard has to be changed and even if the card could be changed it wouldn t give any guarantee of not burning up again so guyz here is my question can the graphics card of a Compaq Presario V notebook be replaced i donot know which model it is but i guess its the default card that comes with every notebook of the said model i would really appreciate a quick response as i need an urgent verdict i can not afford an entire new motherboard at this time but i need to work on the laptop nbsp

A:Dead graphics card on Compaq Presario V6000

I think the shops advise is most probably correct. I've been unable to confirm this for certain but in general 90% of laptops have the graphics card integrated into the motherboard, so if the graphics have failed then it has to be a new mobo.

The overheating was probably caused by a faulty fan or dust build up. This could also have damaged the CPU. Considering the cost of replacement your best bet would be a new PC.

I have read some reports that the V6000 had known problems with faulty soldering on the graphics chips. So, there is just a slim chance you might be able to find an electronics expert who could check the solderiing but it is micro soldering to say the least.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dead-graphics-card-on-compaq-presario-v6000.163966/
Relevancy 25.8%

the hp pavilion dv4 2012la have problems win heat because no have suficien enough grids for cool faser and wen is get hover head the tous pad works bad the solution is upgrade the bios of the note book and usa a coler and make some holes close too the gpu and cpu. if you have more problems win soud and video send a letter win the problem maibe i can help you

A:HP Pavilion dv4 cooling

Spelling a problem for you? ...or is your keyboard messed up?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv4-cooling.162986/
Relevancy 24.94%

hi guys. i'm basically a noob in computer hardwares,hence help me in upgrading my pc
i want to upgrade graphics to ati or nvidia 1gb card so that i would be able to play recent games like assassins creed brotherhood, stalker, crysis2.
so what budget range graphic card would you suggest in the price range of 100 - 150$(3000-5000 indian rupee)
my psu is 250 watt..is it possible to upgrade graphics without changing psu?
present pc spec

Hardware

Base processor
PentiumD 915 (P) DC 2.8 GHz
? 800 MHz front side bus
? Socket 775
Chipset
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 for Intel Processors
Motherboard
? Manufacturer: ECS
? Motherboard Name: RC410M
? HP/Compaq motherboard name: Asterope3GL8E
Hard drive
? 200 GB SATA
? 7200 rpm
memory 2 GB (2 x 1 GB)

Expansion slots
Slot type Quantity
PCI Three (One available)
PCI Express x16 One (One available)

A:Upgrading graphic card in HP Pavilion a1522in

I would recommend a gtx 460 or an amd 6790. Both run right around $150. For only 150 you aren't going to get anything near max settings. Also you have to upgrade your psu. The recommended amount is at the very minimum 300w for a low end graphics card. You ideally need a mid-high end gpu, but you can't get all that much better performance in your price range. You should be looking for a decent 450-550w PSU. Corsair is a good brand.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-graphic-card-in-hp-pavilion-a1522in.163579/
Relevancy 27.09%

running two monitors off one vga port on laptop laptop has a bad screen so I just keep the laptop closed and run mouse keyboard and monitor with other devices and so on I have a two lcd monitors I would like to use and extend if you use a vga splitter will it recognize two or run two with identical screens which would be useless so laptop one vga port and I have two monitors needing to be setup On my tower my ati card sli which has dvi connectors for monitors a port, two screen dead LCD with One laptop on a VGA a quad setup One VGA port, two LCD monitors on a laptop with a dead screen also ran a splitter off of one of one of the dvi leads to add and it still saw all monitors individually hmm what else can I add I also have a kvm switch just not sure how to setup everything right I am running into problems usb bluetooth mouse usb apple pro keyboard it works on my laptop so I like it usb TB mybook active multiple monitors on desktop monitors on the laptop machine monitor only being active lcd monitors all together KVM switch outputs I only need two anyways audio creative DTS- to get a DTS single connected to a yamaha receiver nbsp

A:One VGA port, two LCD monitors on a laptop with a dead screen

If you're talking about a VGA-to-VGA splitter, I think you'll only be able to get two instances of the same screen to show up.

If you're talking about a different port that can handle more data, you might be able to get this set-up to work. I know the computers we use at work have a video output port that has an adapter that splits into two VGA ports (or two DVI ports, depending), and we use that for a dual-monitor set-up (which everyone in the office has).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/one-vga-port-two-lcd-monitors-on-a-laptop-with-a-dead-screen.162338/
Relevancy 27.09%

Let me explain My pc windows ultimate bit quad core home build has been running relatively perfectly for a while but I decided on an upgraded graphics card - HD rather than the older HD Anyways I got it on I now PC is graphics card changed and dead eBay as I changed graphics card and now PC is dead a used item So it arrived today and I installed it as I ve done loads of times before attached all the connectors and booted up with no problems Although the resolution had changed to a very low setting which I ve seen on changing other graphics cards I soon realised I had forgotten to plug in the keyboard so did that and with no response from the keyboard I rebooted Although I d left the room for a few minutes when I got back the pc was off I tried switching it back on but without power to the tower The green light on the mobo Asus P N -E was lit for a while then went out So it doesn t power up it seems dead to the world Even when I replace my old graphics card there is nothing I ve read a few other threads asking to try to boot up with only the cpu and memory I have corsair x gb but I get nothing at the power button The psu is a w Alphapower unit and it s only about months old I ve got a sneaky suspicion it s this though But I don t understand why it would blow after changing the graphics card Any ideas will be much appreciated nbsp

A:I changed graphics card and now PC is dead

really depends on weather the psu can output enough power for that card never heard of that brand probably the psu IMO.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-changed-graphics-card-and-now-pc-is-dead.162218/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi,

I installed XP2000.The head set Mic voice started breaking all of a sudden.But the same headset works well with other computers.I have reinstalled the audio drivers and the issue remains there.But i can hear the songs and all..I have installed realtek and i am using ACER 4930 LAPTOP.Someone can suggest the solution.

Thanks,

Selwyn.S.B

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/headset-mic-is-dead-with-xp-2000.161927/
Relevancy 24.51%

The old hard drive completely failed to the point that I am unable to recover any data on it. So I put in a new hard drive and went to reinstall Vista and got the lovely error about needing to load a driver for the hard drive. I've tried every Vista driver listed and it won't load the driver for the hard drive. I flashed the BIOS, still no luck. The BIOS does not offer any options to change the settings on how to read the hard drive.

Any suggestions on what else I could try?

A:HP Pavilion dv6911om - unable to install Vista on new hard drive

Somewhere in your bios there will be a setting to select which mode the hard drive is running in. You may well have a SATA drive which Vista should have drivers for but in this case you need to set the hard drive to run in IDE mode then it should install. After installation load all the mobo drivers which should then allow you to set the HD back to sata/raid operation which is much faster.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv6911om-unable-to-install-vista-on-new-hard-drive.161850/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hey all I bought a Dead others with Space problems GT220 Borderlands, and Nvidia rig about months ago as a cheap impulse buy and iv been living well enough with it so far But iv recently decided to chop through some old games such as borderlands deadspace and the like but the Nvidia GT thats in machine seems to really struggle Im getting very jerky game play in borderlands with all settings on the lowest with screen res at highest i play all my games full resolution since im Nvidia GT220 problems with Borderlands, Dead Space and others running a full HD Nvidia GT220 problems with Borderlands, Dead Space and others quot wide screen monitor Dead space isn t so bad but its still jerky possibly adding to the fun of the game but not appealing all the time Details most of this is just what CPU-ID could find if you need any more info ill try get it CPU - Intel i CPU speed - MHz Motherboard - MSI X M MS- RAM - gigs DDR GPU - Nvidia GT gig GPU slots - Two X PCI-E one xPCI-E and one old PCI Power supply - ok its got two V rails one is A the other A i did have a pic but seems i need to post more on the forums to link one Budget for possible upgrades - Aus happy to buy off the net If there s a tweaking solution that would be great but if the better option is to get a new card then im happy to buy a new card that will handle the games as long as they can fit in the case and on the motherboard it is a small case and unusually small looking motherboard Iv also still got my old GT which i had two of in SLI on my old computer dunno if its worth swapping the GT for the given that my old set up played both games and others no problem As and added note i run dual monitors however iv turned the duel monitor setting off to see if it improved the game play it didn t nbsp

A:Nvidia GT220 problems with Borderlands, Dead Space and others

I would switch back to the 9800GT, the GT220 is quite a low spec card. Nvidia is known to re badge cards, and from memory the 8800GT, 9800GT and even the GTS250 where based off the same architecture just with minor improvements. For a upgrade card I would chose either a GTX 560 or Radeon 6950, pccasegear.com.au has some brands both at $299, they should last a couple more years. Also you will need a new Power supply, go for a nice 850W like the corsair HX range which has 70A on the +12v rail. most high end cards need atleast 40Amps or more and minimum of 550W.

I hope this helped abit.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-gt220-problems-with-borderlands-dead-space-and-others.160842/
Relevancy 27.95%

my hdd is wd sata II internal 500g that i use as external
yesterday while a was deleting some old information it stop
after that i tray connect it again i find that it start to click tow time in regaler base while spinning
after pot the electricity in with out the sata cable it spin and did not click but
when i pot the sata cable it click again ????
the computer recognize but say formate and i don't want to format
is it the hdd dead or alive????
and if it alive how can i fix it?

A:Is the HDD dead?

Follow this guide. You will need another PC to make the disc but this test is from the manufacturer and will tell you without doubt if the drive is OK or not.

Use the link below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=enClick to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-the-hdd-dead.160763/
Relevancy 27.09%

My specs. Amd 955 x4, Ati 5870 x2 crossfired, 6 gig ddr3, win 7 64. I am trying to play Dead Space 2 but i am getting low fps, 10-25?? I have installed the latest catalyst drivers but still have no luck. Help!

A:Radeon HD 5870 Crossfired low fps on Dead Space 2?

Probably a Crossfire driver issue I would guess. Have you tried playing the game using one card?
You may need to wait until AMD release a newer version of the CrossfireX application profile for some better compatibility. The present CAP was a 24 Jan release which would indicate that the driver itself is around a month old.

Single card performance shouldn't give you the same grief. It looks less than graphically demanding judging by this review benchmark out today.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/radeon-hd-5870-crossfired-low-fps-on-dead-space-2.160743/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi i have a hp pavilion in to look at it was not booting windows i got it going had it sitting on my desk when shutdown and displayed a hardware error message something to do with the memory.
so what i want to know is do the pavilians suffer with heat problems or any other problems that might cause this .........

A:HP Pavilion dv2000

All laptops suffer from heating more than desktops do. HP laptops are no better or worse than other laptops concerning heat. If you are concerned, go out and buy one of those cooling platforms for laptops. If you continue to get memory errors, check your memory using Memtest86. Let it run for 7 or more passes

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv2000.159992/
Relevancy 24.94%

I m not sure exactly how old my computer is but it runs pretty decent and i can t afford anything else right now i installed the sims and i got an error message saying i need to upgrade my video card to something that supports Pixel Shading I ve been looking on tiger direct for awhile and can t figure out how to know which cards support that or which cards would be compatible with my computer Also while i have the computer open i figure it d upgrade to card on a420n video Pavilion a HP Trying be a good idea to put more ram in there which i hear is pretty simple I ve never upgraded a computer i ve only been inside a computer to remove hard drives im just wondering if its going to be too difficult for me to install the video card myself the sims system requierments GHz P processor or equivalent GB RAM A MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader The latest version of DirectX c Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack At least GB of Trying to upgrade video card on a HP Pavilion a420n hard drive space with at least GB of additional space for custom content and saved games my computer specs hp pavilion a n ghz AMD Anthlon xp processor mb PC DDR SDRAM memory VIA S G UniChrome IGP video card in PCI bus XP service pack GB hard drive with GB free space Thanks for reading hope u can help nbsp

A:Trying to upgrade video card on a HP Pavilion a420n

if you have the version with the Asus motherboard A7V5X-LA, you are working with an AGP 4x/8x interface. They are getting scarce, but this is about as good as it gets unless you find one of the 3850's or the Geforce 9600 AGP. this one is SM3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=agp_video_card_ati-_-14-102-851-_-Product

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-upgrade-video-card-on-a-hp-pavilion-a420n.160657/
Relevancy 27.95%

hey all, got a little problem with my AMD / Epox system
I've been out of the loop for sometime so please forgive any ignorance

the PC seems to be running .. ie can here the power supply on,an orange light on the front panel,but no monitor or any other function.Neither the power button or reset button on tower respond to being pressed and on the LED of motherboard displays FF. the FF displayed on Epox boards supposedly means everything is OK ... so something is obviopusly dying if not already dead .. any suggestions ?
help is much appreciated.

A:Something is dead but what?

What board? I am running two EPoX 9NPA +Ultras and love 'em! And you are right about the FF.

Were you able to test the power supply with a digital multimeter?

Check for bulging caps on your motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/something-is-dead-but-what.160398/
Relevancy 27.95%

Recently I lost display while using my pc It went from running normally and fine to black screen and no sound out of the speakers Everything pretty much went dead No beeps no error nothing Specs Foxconn M VMX Crap motherboard Intel C D E Radeon HD Apevia W http www newegg com Product Produ amp cm re apevia w- - - - - -Product At first I figured it was my videocard So i unplugged the hdmi and went vga into the onboard display still nothing The monitor doesnt recognize the video card or the onboard and the red quot No power quot light Dead motherboard? on the is always on This led me to believe it was the power supply However when I turn the computer on all fans are running the led power light turns on in front of the computer plus i hear the hard drive turn on and it has power So in a nutshull I need to determine whether the mother finally died The ethernet port stopped working about months ago or if my PSU from is dead I don t think its the videocard nbsp

A:Dead motherboard?

Have you changed the settings in BIOS to tell the BIOS to POST using the on-board graphics?

If you haven't, and its set to boot using the PCI-EX GPU it isn't going to display anything. In my experience if a motherboard fails, it doesn't work full stop. It acts totally dead - thats not to say yours is fine, but I would certainly check your BIOS settings to make sure the default video is set to on-board.

Also, remove the graphics card if you want to test if that is the problem, leaving it plugged in will likely just cause the computer confusion.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dead-motherboard.160085/
Relevancy 24.51%

Okay so I'm not technologically savvy but I'm guessing to make most of the games that I download to actually run, I need a better graphics card?

Whenever I play games with decent to good graphics, my system just won't function right. They lag until my computer freezes and stuff. So I just wanna know what I can do to actually play games.

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Model: HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC
Rating: 3.5
Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz 1.67GHz
Memory RAM: 2.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit operating system
Windows Vista Home Premium

I'm not sure what other info I would need to show you guys
I'm willing to spend around 150 or less dollars on stuff I would need to make this computer run better for games

oh my power supply:
Its a replacement AC adapter
Input: AC100-240V 1.2A 50/60Hz
Output: 18.5V 3.5A

Thanks in advance

A:HP - Compaq Pavilion dv6700t Series Laptop/Notebook what i need for better gaming?

Up the system memory to 4GB and upgrade Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-compaq-pavilion-dv6700t-series-laptop-notebook-what-i-need-for-better-gaming.158834/
Relevancy 25.37%

HP Notebook Pavilion Entertainment I am having issues with my keyboard. When I am in a web browser no matter what key I hit it refreshes the page.I can use the key board just fine typeing in my password and such. and use it just fine typing on the sticky note app on the computer but in a web browser it just refreshes the page.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-notebook-pavilion-entertainment-keyboard-help.158462/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi I have a dell inspiron 1318 lap top and it will not turn on. I have a new battery and power cord. When I push the power button the red light will flash but not turn on. I do know that the old power cord had bad spots in it from the dog.

A:Dead laptop

You might need a new AC adapter
If the dog has been at it.

Try this when you plug power cord jiggle the cable and notice if light changes or goes off.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dead-laptop.157669/
Relevancy 27.09%

Short version - I used DG45ID (solved) motherboard Intel dead a non compatible cpu which has the effect of leaving Intel DG45ID motherboard dead (solved) the board switched on Long version - I bought the DG ID off ebay and got a CPU to go in it I switched on the fan worked and HDD was active but no screen The USBs were active When I switched off at the mains When I switched on it powered up without the start button I realised I had a non compatible cpu I bought an E The first time I switched on at the mains it came on without the start button but subsequently I had to press start to power the board ie as normal CMOS jumper When I bought it the jumper connected pin with the LED pin I assume that is like a removed jumper ie BIOS flash mode Hence Intel DG45ID motherboard dead (solved) when I connected a DVD drive it Intel DG45ID motherboard dead (solved) crashed I assume it was looking for a bio file Nothing I could do would recover the board The green standby light came on but nothing else It was dead No USB power no fans nothing I remembered the wrong CPU that had left the board quot switched on quot I put it in and it behaved as before power but no monitor I then replaced the E and hey presto I was in but only on cmos recovery there was no bios But the USBs were active So I removed the jumper flashed the BIOS from a USB stick and it s up and running NB the intel manual is wrong regarding the CMOS pins It shows pin closest to the battery That is actually pin If you look I can t post the pdf link page the pin is clearly show closest to the battery I thought it was strange that all the images on Google show the jumper on pins furthest from the battery the manual says that is the recovery position nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-dg45id-motherboard-dead-solved.158177/
Relevancy 27.09%

i just bought left for dead and i was woundering if a BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 PCI Graphics Card will run left for dead.

A:Can the GeForce 8400GS handle Left 4 Dead?

It appears it is good enough: http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=102208_3

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-the-geforce-8400gs-handle-left-4-dead.148521/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hey,

I have a hp g62 Notebook. Today it just shut down and showed error(90b) or something. There was NO burning smell coming from the laptop .. it just stopped. This fan is located on the left side and it no longer works.

A:Fan turned off or dead?

When you say " the fan no longer works" does the laptop boot at all, or is it dead?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fan-turned-off-or-dead.157203/
Relevancy 27.95%

So I appear to have a problem I acquired PSU and SLI MSI a dead GTX Hawk some new pc parts to build a new computer and I ve had a power supply die on me It happens when the second GPU is connected and the SLI cable attached Basically it ll run fine on one card and I m able to get Windows installed etc then the moment I connect the PSU seconds later it died Unsure what the problem is and unsure what to troubleshoot on another PSU in case it blows up as well S My theory is with the case I have although the case allows ventilation on the bottom where one might assume the PSU fan can point and I was actually advised to face the exhaust this way actually pointing the exhaust down at it MSI GTX Hawk SLI and a dead PSU causes the PSU to heat up and die So I m assuming if I ignore being told to face it MSI GTX Hawk SLI and a dead PSU down and the flip the PSU upside down so the text is upside down and the exhaust faces up towards the GPU s - it won t heat up and this should stop it from exploding Comments AMD Phenom II X T Asus M N TD-EVO AM NForce a MSI GTX G Hawk DDR x OCZ G Vertex II Series SSD Primary Western Digital TB Green MB SATAII Slave Western Digital TB Green MB SATAII Slave NZXT Phantom Corsair HX- W ATX Modular Power Supply EDIT Ooops that s the PSU more than enough power for this setup D nbsp

A:MSI GTX Hawk SLI and a dead PSU

fullmetalvegan said:

My theory is, with the case I have, although the case allows ventilation on the bottom where one might assume the PSU fan can point (and I was actually advised to face the exhaust this way), actually pointing the exhaust down at it causes the PSU to heat up and die. So I'm assuming if I ignore being told to face it down, and the flip the PSU upside down (so the text is upside down and the exhaust faces up) towards the GPU's - it won't heat up and this should stop it from exploding.Click to expand...

I did not understand that.

You fail to even include your powersupply in the parts list.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/msi-gtx-hawk-sli-and-a-dead-psu.157264/
Relevancy 27.52%

I've got a Compaq nc6000. When I power it on the lights turn on and the fans spin but before anything shows on the screen it turns off. I tried two power adapters and both of them turned on the "plugged-in" light.

A:Laptop won't start, might be dead

hi Jskid

Could be a faulty power socket. So does nothing show? not even access to the BIOS?

james

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-wont-start-might-be-dead.156997/
Relevancy 27.09%

Are certain models of monitors more likely to have dead pixels or is every LCD just as likely to have a dead pixel?

Are some companies more likely than others to produce monitors with dead pixels? For example Viewsonic is reputable so a monitor from them probably wouldn't have any dead pixels?

A:Question about dead pixels in monitor

I have had 7 LCD monitors, and only 1 had one dead pixel. These were, (are), Westinghouse (3), Soyo, Samsung, Dell, and Hewlett Packard.

The Dell and the HP are IPS panels, the Soyo MVA, the Samsung and Westies are TN tech.

I broke a Westinghouse while working on a computer next to it. This was the one with a dead pixel.

Dead pixels aren't terribly common, but different brands and different lines within the same brand, have different replacement policies.

Dell, "Ultra Sharp" monitors only require one light pixel, to be replaced. The same for my HP IPS monitor. Lower lines of product require more dead, (stuck on light) for replacement.

If possible, I suggest you download the manufacturers warranty info, before making your decision. Newegg says you can't send one back with less than >> 6 or maybe 8 dead pixels, but they're mostly covering their own a**es.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-dead-pixels-in-monitor.157020/
Relevancy 26.23%

Continued from This troubleshooting thread I recently posted a thread asking which video card brands were better than others support warrenties etc Now I need few replace dead a decide Trying GPUs to budget X300 Radeon my between to some advice I buying a video card because my computer s previous Radeon X died I have a watt generic Dell PSU V A VA A VB A - V A V A VSB A combined max VA and VB A Check my sig for the rest of my computer hardware I should probably get a new power supply but my budget can t really support the extra for a good Antec Corsair or Thermaltake because I am saving up for a new computer My computer has a x slot so I am not looking to upgrade just a repacement of some type same power requirements After checking around I think my PSU could support a GS GS Radeon Radeon Trying to decide between a few budget GPUs to replace my dead Radeon X300 or Radeon - GIGABYTE HD MB -bit - MSI GS MB -bit - SAPPHIRE HD MB -bit - XFX HD MB -bit - ASUS HD MB -bit These are the cards I Trying to decide between a few budget GPUs to replace my dead Radeon X300 have my eye on any thoughts opinions Please don t laugh at me and tell my to upgrade my computer I just want to be able to use the computer again with out spending Thanks nbsp

A:Trying to decide between a few budget GPUs to replace my dead Radeon X300

An Radeon HD 5450 is the best for the money you want to spend. The ASUS HD 5450 is out of stock so get the SAPPHIRE HD 5450

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-decide-between-a-few-budget-gpus-to-replace-my-dead-radeon-x300.156919/
Relevancy 24.51%

Last night I powered off my laptop, I got into work and powered it on, and to my disliking I discovered that it would turn on, the lit wifi buttons and volume controls would turn on, but the pc would not boot up. To add to the mystery of this the num lock and caps lock lights keep flashing. Anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong with my laptop?

Thanks!

-Stensland

A:HP Pavilion dv4 - 1428dx series laptop, powers on but won't boot

problem resolved, my CPU went bad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv4-1428dx-series-laptop-powers-on-but-wont-boot.156671/
Relevancy 24.51%

Before going to work this morning I put my computer on hibernate, when I came back my wifi networking was down. It is not that I am connected to a network but cannot open internet, my wifi network does not start up. The little red light does not turn blue! I have no idea why it is not working, any suggestions appreciated.

A:HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC WiFi network not working

Hey, reasons for the light not to turn blue could be a problem with the physical hardware itself, being that it somehow shorted or something along those lines.

Another reason could be that it is not being supplied power, once a computer goes into hibernation mode it is given the right to stop power to that device, and possibly once starting back up, there was no power given to the Wireless? Have you tried to shutdown the computer normally and try it again? Another reason would be that the wireless settings and everything are all controlled by a service, and maybe the service failed to start. Rather then get you to go to the exact spot and try and turn on the service, just restart the computer. If that doesn't work and you want to try and manually start the service, reply back that you would like to do so and I will try and step you through it.

Other things to try - Reinstall the drivers for the wireless adapter, you will need to go to HP's website, type in your DV9500 as well as the other numbers on the bottom of the laptop on a white sticker, located near your prodocut key usually...

if you are comfortable with opening the laptop up, on the bottom side of the laptop, one of the covers will likely have the wireless card in side, it is connected by 2 wires, a black and a white, if you go to take the card out remember where each cord goes. You can take the card out, boot up the computer, shut it down, reseat the card, and boot up the computer, see if anything comes up..

WARNING: If attempting to remove the wireless adapter card, please be aware that if the card is not damaged, you could damage the card, make sure you are grounded when working inside of the laptop, as well make sure that there is NO POWER to the laptop, this means Remove both the battery and the power cord..

Nothing else comes to mind of what it could be...

If you can't get it to work, try safe mode with networking, if still nothing, I would suggest to bring it to a shop to see if they have a way to test the physical card in a similar laptop or possibly have a new card to test in yours..

EDIT: This is something I found on the Mobile section of this forum where a fix was found on other HP Dv**** Models,

WARNING:Please read the full post that suggests the fix, as it does warn that this CAN cause further damage. This test raises the computers core temperature as well as other components to try and warm them up if there are any cold joints on it, But may damage components due to high temperatures. WARNING
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic130484.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv9700-notebook-pc-wifi-network-not-working.155506/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello After having this HP Pavilion a n for many years now and always having to hear the HP motherboard Pavilion A8N-LA a1410n solution fan Asus or screaming fans whirling away at I have found a solution I did not discover this I found it in little post in one of the many many forums with complaints about this Motherboard s BIOS update problem So I am here only to post another one so that others may find it easier When booting up your computer hit F times and it will enter Setup just the same as if you had pressed F BUT ITS NOT THE SAME Go to the BIOS menu in setup What was once inaccessible in the HP Pavilion a1410n or A8N-LA Asus motherboard fan solution original F setup is now available in the F Setup You can have full control over the fans speed and start up voltage I just discovered this about minutes ago and did it and my computer is quiet as a mouse FINALLY I HOPE THIS WAS EASY TO FIND I spent all day scanning forums for solutions SpeedFan Sucks F dance nbsp

A:HP Pavilion a1410n or A8N-LA Asus motherboard fan solution

If your temps are still in a good place, gratz and thanks for the heads up!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-a1410n-or-a8n-la-asus-motherboard-fan-solution.155502/
Relevancy 24.51%

Help! Now my standard VGA Graphic Adapter only works on my HP Pavilion dv9000? I have a Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS on this Laptop but now its not loading up right, on start-up? I had to, chip Rev for the Nvidia to get my laptop to work... or see anything on the screen? but now I can not play any game or watch movies correctly. HP are no help ether as my warranty has run out now, can anyone help me? I have attached some images of my display settings.

A:My standard VGA graphic adapter only works on my HP Pavilion dv9000?

If you are using Vista 32 bit go here an get the Video Card Drivers
If you are using Vista 64 bit go here an get the Video Card Drivers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-standard-vga-graphic-adapter-only-works-on-my-hp-pavilion-dv9000.154156/
Relevancy 27.52%

I got a gb SP C SATA HDD which I ve been using for some years now a week ago the harddisk started freezing like for - seconds etc and coming back and sometimes it froze so I needed to restart when I hooked SP2504C Samsung dead? up another harddisk for the OS and used the SP C as storage sometimes the harddisk would just go offline wouldn t appear in disk management mycomputer etc and finally now whenever I hook it up the BIOS into screen freezes up for a minute or two Samsung SP2504C dead? and it doesn t see my harddisk I tried all different SATA slots changed cables did everything but everytime I hook this harddisk up it just freezes bios for minutes and when I get into Windows the harddisk is of course Samsung SP2504C dead? isn t there I just need to recover some files wont even pass mb so I need a minute or two of an access to the harddisk what can I do about this Edit The harddisk also makes a clicking noise when it s hooked up Thanks already nbsp

A:Samsung SP2504C dead?

In nour experience, the lifetime of a Samsung hard drive ends at about three years... or even sooner on the 250GB model... so it is probably time to change to another... If you do it soon, you still have a good chance of rescuing all of your data... but that total failure could occur at any moment... once you start recovering data, do NOT turn off that old hard drive until done.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/samsung-sp2504c-dead.151604/
Relevancy 27.09%

i borrowed my cousin my noebook, when it came back it does not operate. when i power it on the power light shows up but nothing shows on the screen, i used RS 232 to connect to external monitor but still nothing is displayed. he told me he properly shut down the machine before he returned it to me, but it looks like he is not telling me the truth. please help.

probably opened the machine and messed up with the video card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-notebook-is-dead-nothing-displays-on-the-screen.151099/
Relevancy 25.37%

I have been given an HP laptop to look at originally the sound was not working so updated drivers and rebooted laptop on reboot it would not boot up I have tried booting up from recovery partition F but it just black screens I have tried booting Pavilion not dv9500 HP booting up from Vista disc but it just comes up with the first screen with copying files along the bottom and then it black screens Sometimes it willl restart I will press a key to boot from cd it goes through copying files with the white progress bar along the bottom and the stops with a blank screen or restarts I have tried the same with a Win disc which does the same but stops on the next screen with quot starting windows quot displayed I have run memory checks and disc checks and both were fine This has me puzzled so I am hoping you guys have a clue whats going on here nbsp

A:HP Pavilion dv9500 not booting

Defective hard drive is my guess.
Have you tried removing and reinstalling the partition? If you cannot do that, you should try another hard drive as a test.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv9500-not-booting.150867/
Relevancy 27.52%

Just days out of warranty my M died suddenly It was working then it shut off completely I turned it back on and it worked for about mins then shut off again Now it does nothing at all No lights nothing Power supply has been checked and is working green light stays on I ve read numerous posts elsewhere that all say quot Motherboard quot but I just can t believe that to always be the case One post I ve read said quot Powerboard quot which I m hoping is the case I need to know can anyone tell me a way to be sure before I go buying parts I may not need I have reseated the memory cards pressed the fn and start buttons together tried just about everything I could find in numerous forums and still nothing works For about weeks prior to this happening I noticed the battery light on the front edge would flash red times then go blue Flash red times then go blue over and over again But the battery showed full charge so I ignored it Any help would be much appreciated Thanks y all nbsp

A:XPS M1530 dead - no power at all

Similar problem with my Dell, it turned out to be a lose CPU. The locking screw on the CPU only has half a turn and that somehow came lose, one half turn clockwise was all it took to fix problem. I hope this helps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xps-m1530-dead-no-power-at-all.144240/
Relevancy 25.8%

I recently bought an HP Pavilion used. Here's the problem. The battery was getting ready to expire and then the computer went into "hibernation" mode. After plugging in the charger to recharge the battery and turning the computer on manually I encountered the following: The screen does not come on at all, but the computer "acts" like it's trying to start? The keyboard lights come on and I can hear the the fan start. After a few seconds it "restarts" itself and repeats this over and over. The screen never comes on through all this? Any suggestions? HELP!!! Thanks for all your replies

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-hibernation-then.150320/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello, I have a 9800 GT graphic card and windows 7, resolution can go high and when i lauch left 4 dead 1 or 2 for pc says input not supported, can i assume LFD is displaying highest resolution that my monitor does not support? MAX resolution my Acer (old old monitor) monitor displays is 1280/1024. i try changing my resolution inside nvidia controll panel but that only chances my window not game resolution, this only happens with LFD other games.
I try so far the followings:

Upgrade driver:
downgrade driver:
install driver from nvidia
install driver from CD:
reinstall both LFD 1 and 2 many times
compatibility to run in 640x480

well thats all i tried by myself, maybe one of you has a smarted solution. any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated.

A:9800GT, Left 4 Dead input not supported

I'm not sure if I followed all of what you said but did you try to change the resolution in the game options?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/9800gt-left-4-dead-input-not-supported.150280/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi All Thanks for reading my thread trying to fix a friends computer Asus P LMX mobo ghz cpu gig ram running XP Doing all sorts of weird things originally started blue screening or just doing random reboots to him so on my first inspection i found the power supply fan wasn t working causing the psu to over heat codgen w yuck thought would be an easy fix but after replacing that turn the thing on two or three times with no display onboard video then the fourth time with a continuos beeping then the fifth time comes up with ucode loading error overclocking failed or voltage error but the system has never been overclocked thought i would replace the ram but to no avail now the system has gone into a continuos loop even changed hard drive reset Is dead? mobo my the bios to factory default every now and then it starts up windows but eventually just reboots Mobo Dead or Dying hope i have given enough info and posted in the right spot Cheers Herb nbsp

A:Is my mobo dead?

What PSU you changed with? Is there a Graphic card connected apart the onboard video? Is there other card connected like TV etc...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-mobo-dead.149849/
Relevancy 27.95%

This is what i will explain after the information and tests i've gathered. I try turning on my pc with no pci cards, no graphics card and no ram inserted into my motherboard and i read that there is supposed to be some "BIOS beeps" without those things connected and I don't get ANY beeps at all. Is that a sign there's a motherboard problem?

The board is an Intel D865PERL.

A:Motherboard dead?

If the Intel BIOS has a beep code for CPU only then I'd say yes. I thought Award based BIOS's were the only ones that had a CPU only beep response.

Apart from that, you seem to have walked in halfway through the movie...why are you trying to get a beep code from a board with only a CPU ?
Normal procedure for testing a POST would be to have CPU, RAM, graphics and of course a PSU attached. The beep code would then narrow down the troubleshooting options a little.
Have you gone through the troubleshooting options already ? If so, what was the outcome ?
Basically, more information required.

A motherboard model + no beep code isn't a lot to go on you understand.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-dead.149793/