Windows Support Forum

Stay AWAY FROM MAXTOR HARD DRIVES They have no warranty

Q: Stay AWAY FROM MAXTOR HARD DRIVES They have no warranty

I had a Maxtor hard drive go bad in 6 months. I emailed them with the information. Here was their reply. How do I Know their hard drives don't lie in their warehouse for 2 years.

At 08/08/2001 02:35 PM Maxtor wrote - I regret to inform you that the drive itself is out of warranty.
The warranty is not from your date of purchase, but from the drive's manufacture date (which is
stamped on the drive itself). I apologize for the inconvenience that this may cause you, and hope
that you will remain a loyal Maxtor customer.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Stay AWAY FROM MAXTOR HARD DRIVES They have no warranty

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 76.11%

I have a maxtor hard drive, 300g, my computer recently stopped reading it. When I try to open it, it says it's not formatted and the file system reads "RAW".

It's not been set as a dynamic disk, and it still has a full partition.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Relevancy 76.11%

What utilities are there for recovering data from a corrupt maxtor Diamond Plus 9 hard drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/maxtor-hard-drives.171385/
Relevancy 75.25%

I looking at buying an external hard drive and maxtor seem to be the best value for money.

A mate of mine has one (100gb USB) and has had lots of problems with it. He has warned me away from buying Maxtor ever. Do his concerns have any foundation???

A:Maxtor, are their hard drives any good???

Maxtor is just as reliable as anyone else.

Do they die? Yes.
Do they die earlier than others? I doubt it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/maxtor-are-their-hard-drives-any-good.47410/
Relevancy 70.52%

Since two weeks something strange is happening. My hard drives go into sleep mode and instantly come out of it. They won't stay in sleep mode. No matter what delay time I setup, they will behave like this. So even if I setup a time to sleep of 1 minute, you will hear them go to sleep and instantly come out of it every minute, continuously. This used to work perfectly before for months. I haven't installed anything new (except of Windows updates). I've checked with performance monitor if anything is accessing the drives but there's no drive activity whatsoever. I've also tried to shut down as many processes as possible but that didn't help either. The only thing I've changed three weeks ago was my video card (Radeon 6850 to GTX580) but I'm not sure that the issue started then. Just around two weeks ago I noticed the issue. Did anybody else experience something like this?

A:Hard drives won't stay in sleep mode

I've solved my problem. The solution, for people with the exact same problem, was to downgrade my Intel RST driver from 11.7 to 11.2.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/287715-hard-drives-wont-stay-sleep-mode.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Users of Seagate, Maxtor, or Western Digital HDD can download Acronis True Image for freeClick to expand...

http://www.techhail.com/software/do...-for-seagate-western-digital-hard-drives/6534

A:Download free Acronis True Image for Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor hard drives

thanks for that helpful link ravisunny2 :grinthumb:

I'm going to bookmark your post so i can refer others to it in the future. Thanks again! :approve:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/download-free-acronis-true-image-for-seagate-western-digital-maxtor-hard-drives.152472/
Relevancy 58.48%

I ve had a GB Maxtor Basics External hard drive for about a year now and I ve just bough a GB Maxtor Basics External Hard drive They are both working fine when they are plugged in alone the problem starts if I try to have both of them connected to my PC together the second hard drive that gets plugged in doesn t matter which one it is gets quot USB device not recognized or has malfunctioned quot I tried changing the drive letters the gb to quot Z quot and the gb to quot Y quot I also tried changing the USB sockets they are plugged into but they still dont work together also since this error started 2 have drives Cant connected together Maxtor my gb hard drive displays quot Total size GB quot in Windows Explorer but if I go to quot Disk Management quot it says its quot GB quot How can a GB hard drive show up as GB What do I have to do to get both Maxtor drives connected to my PC at the same time also the gb drive sometimes displays an error about quot Delayed write failed I have included a screen shot of the message nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

Anybody know where you can buy Western Digital hard drives (standard, not SSD) that have a full 5 year manufacturer's warranty?

Seems like everywhere I look now, all you see is these "OEM" versions that have a 2 year warranty.

I want to get one to keep on hand as a backup that I'll format so it'll be ready to go in case I ever have problems with the drives in either of my machines.

Just thought I'd get one that has the longest warranty possible if a 5 year warranty is even still available.

Relevancy 57.62%

No reports of these drives hitting the US yet, but I thought it would be a good idea to post this warning so TSG members are aware:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage/display/20050928224555.html

excerpt:

Forged Maxtor Corp.’s MaXLine II hard disk drives (HDDs) have emerged on the Japanese market, according to local press. Alleged swindlers supply 320GB flavours of the HDDs, whereas Maxtor officially produces only 250GB and 300GB versions of the products for retail channel. Click to expand...

A:Caution about Fake Maxtor Drives

No sweat off my back, never liked those Maxtors anyway.
But don't you hate these people who cause panick?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/caution-about-fake-maxtor-drives.403400/
Relevancy 57.19%

I have been trying to do SATA see Maxtor drives does new WinXP 300gig not this the entire day with no results I have Chaintech S ULi Socket ATX Motherboard AMD Athlon Venice Processor Maxtor DiamondMax GB rpm MB SATA- OEM Hard Drives gig WinXP does not see new Maxtor 300gig SATA drives Corsair PC DDR Ram Chaintech GeForce Video Card I formatted the drives using the Maxtor MaxBlast boot CD WinXP does not see new Maxtor 300gig SATA drives making them compatible for WinXP without SP When I attempted to load the drivers from the motherboard cd I came up with a system boot failure I copied the driver folder contents onto a floppy and tried again No luck I booted from the WinXP cd and pressed quot F quot to install drivers from manufactors disk When prompted I installed the SATA and ATA drivers that I was instructed to install from the manufactors read me notes It appeared as if all was well Then it came up on quot Windows XP Startup quot When I pressed the enter key the following message displayed quot Setup did not find any hard disc drives installed in your computer quot I checked and re-checked all of my cabling and connections When the computer boots up it shows the drives on Channel and I m at a loss here Can anyone offer any assistance Thanks nbsp

A:WinXP does not see new Maxtor 300gig SATA drives

check your bios
check with MB website or manual about this

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/winxp-does-not-see-new-maxtor-300gig-sata-drives.37277/
Relevancy 56.76%

They had previously been formatted as Linux. I've removed the partitions successfully. The formatting gets all the way to the end and then fails (using the windows formatting).

Relevancy 56.76%

Quote Originally Posted by valery I have Maxtor one touch external drives which I want to use in windows vista Bit But when I one Maxtor Bit. 64 drives in windows want use external I vista touch which to connect them it doe snot work and the maxtor seagate site doesn't have it anymore apparently Anyone have any idea how to get it to work Will it even work under Vista bit Thanks I have a Maxtor OneTouch that is working fine using Windows Vista Ultimate on a Maxtor one touch external drives which I want to use in windows vista 64 Bit. bit machine Just plug the external hard drive in to your computer and let it recognise it as another hard drive In other words don't log in to it just close all of the pop up windows that appear Set up your backup regeme using the quot Backup and Restore Centre quot that is available as part of the windows package You will obviously need to select the drive that it is going to back up to and the external hard drive will need to be plugged in for the backup Sounds like a dumb statment but mine is rarely plugged in I let Windows try to start the backup which it can't because I don't keep my external hard drive plugged in so the backup fails which reminds me to plug it in I then perform the backup Works for me

A:Maxtor one touch external drives which I want to use in windows vista 64 Bit.

If that fails, I see that you were part of another post and have firewire.
Have a look here
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f19/...rs-269576.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/maxtor-one-touch-external-drives-which-i-want-to-use-in-windows-vista-64-bit-410988.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Recently I formatted all the hard drives on my Gateway MX6214 Notebook computer.

When I attempt to install Windows XP it says the Setup cannot continue because no hard drives were found.

Obviously, the hard drives are in working condition because I also checked with some bootable diagnostic tools and the hard drives are check. But now it seems the "internal?" drivers on the hard drives have also been deleted during the format, so WINXP cannot recognize during installation. Same goes for installation of the OS Ubuntu =/

I do not have the original diagnostic cd that came with the notebook.

Are there any solutions anyone can point me towards?

A:Formatted Hard Drives, Trying to install Windows XP but no recognition of hard drives

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/formatted-hard-drives-trying-to-install-windows-xp-but-no-recognition-of-hard-drives.727410/
Relevancy 53.75%

i am going home for winter break and i wanted to take over some videos i had on my hard drive, but the problem is that it is an internal hard drive, and i want to be able to transfer the data to a laptop. Is there a way that you can turn an internal hard drive into an external hard drive? Or is there a piece of hardware that will alow me to do this?

Relevancy 53.75%

i have 2 HD's laying around. 1 2.1 GB and 1 10.0 GB, the 2.1 has Win. 95 on it, and the 10.0 has Win. 98SE on it. if i get a computer without a HD, and it need 1, can i put on of the HD's in it, and it will work? or....

A:Solved: hard drives with OS, wanting to put in computer wit no hard drives

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drives-with-os-wanting-to-put-in-computer-wit-no-hard-drives.443986/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi,
I currently have 2 PATA hard drives installed in my system that both run off the same IDE ribbon cable. My MSI MS-7184 motherboard has 2 SATA connections and 2 SATA power supplies available. Would I benefit much by upgrading my hardrives to SATA ones? One of them holds the operating system and programs etc (160GB) and the other stores my mp3's (320GB). Would there be much speed gained or not enough for me to notice? Also would data be transferred faster if my PATA drives had one IDE cable each instead of sharing one? I seem to have 2 IDE connections on the motherboard.

Relevancy 52.46%

My maxtor 200g hd is acting funny. when i open my computer to look at the contents it only lists the items on the drive through the letter "c". I ran the error check and get an error after phase 2 "windows cannot complete". The drive is NTFS and two partions E 39g and G 150g. G is the only part that is having the difficulty. E works fine. This is not my primary drive so my computer still operates. I also moved some files off of G without trouble and for some got a cyclical redundancy check error and the file would not move?
Running XP Pro.

Any ideas or help will be great.

Relevancy 52.46%

I have a Maxtor hard drive (S/N L632X08G) that I am using as an external on my PC. It worked fine for about 8 months and then recently I purchased a MacBook and wanted to switch over my files. The first time I plugged it in via USB, it showed up and I imported my music collection of 80gb into iTunes but the files remained on the hard drive. I moved my setup into a different room and ever since then the hard drive will not show up. A few times I have gotten an error along the the lines of "Mac OSX cannot read disk blah blah" with the choices to Initialize and something else. But 9/10 times it won't show up in disk utility. I have tried to reconnect it to my PC but it doesn't show up there either. Help me please

Relevancy 52.46%

I just bought a Maxtor 300 gig hard drive, but when I insert my bootable Windows XP (no SP2) CD, it only recongized 140 gigs when I tried to create a partition.

My motherboard is ASUS P5LD2, and my BIOS is up to date.
How can I use all the hard dive space when I create partition during Windows installtion?

Thank you in advance.

Relevancy 52.03%

My son purchased this computer JUST OVER a year ago.  After he had it for about 1-2 months, his hard drive crashed.  It was replaced with a new one under warranty. Now, it has crashed once again, and is past the original warranty (expired May 29).  I am wondering if the new hard drive that was put in 1-2 months after he originally purchased this computer would have it's own additional warranty? 

A:Hard Drive Warranty

TLSchneids Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!I read your post about your warranty question but this is just a community self-help forum staffed by volunteers and we are not authorized to commit HP regarding warranty issues. But, my GUESS would be that no, the warranty on the replacement drive does not extend beyound the warranty on the original laptop -- IF you obtained that drive through HP.  However, if you did not buy the drive from HP,  the original manufacturer of the drive may have their own warranty, and you should check that out.  Western Digital, for example, warranties some of their drive for three years.Good Luck========================================================================I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.---------------------------------------------------------------If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".========================================================================

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-Warranty/td-p/5651297
Relevancy 52.03%

My Hard drive is saying imminent failure. It is still under warranty.Where can I organise a replacement in Ireland or UK ?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Hard-Drive-warranty/td-p/5845033
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a computer with a 1.99GB hard drive, which is not big enough for my family. I have a Maxtor 2GB one that I would like to put in as a slave. On the Maxtor it reads

Master/Single On
Slave Off
Jumper J20

where do I put the jumpers to make the Maxtor the slave drive? And do I have to put jumpers on the one that is in the computer already to make it the Master? Thanks.

A:Jumpers on Maxtor Hard Drive

Leave the jumper off totally. Depending on the first one, what brand it is, you may have to change that jumper. It should already be jumpered as master. Hook this one up, pop into the bios setup and see if it appears.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/jumpers-on-maxtor-hard-drive.178664/
Relevancy 52.03%

I am having an issue with a Maxtor Model Number 92739U6 hard drive. I have just finished formatting and installing windows xp home edition. Everything was going ok until I restarted the computer.

First right after I restarted the computer I got an error message A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press CTRL+ALT+Del.

I was unsure what caused this error message so I started to research this issue on Maxtor?s website and they advised me to use fdisk /mbr to repair the error. I did that and restarted the computer.

Same Error?.

The thing I can?t figure out is I am able to boot right to windows using a boot disk.

Can anyone tell me what I should do next?

A:Maxtor Hard Drive Issue

Check to make sure the drive is being detected correctly in the BIOS.
You should check the IDE/SATA and power connectors to the drive, to make sure they are not loose.

Find the manufacturer of your hard drive and run their Hard Drive Diagnostics Utility.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/maxtor-hard-drive-issue-121913.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I hope that someone can help with this... please!
I have a maxtor 80gb portable hard drive and when i try to access my files by clicking on the drive in windows explorer i get the following message -
"You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?"
I have a lot of data stored on this drive and i don't know why it suddenly appears empty. I don't want to lose all of the data already saved on this disk. What should i do?

A:Fault with Maxtor Hard Drive

It sounds like the disk lost the information on it, or it got corrupted. Did you ever unplug the disk without clicking the icon at the bottom right to "Safely Remove Hardware"?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/274518-fault-maxtor-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I beleive I may have a bad hard drive but thought I would try everything before coming to that conclusion It is a gig hard drive It started when I was unable to delete files I would delete them and then after restarting the drive they would show up again I tried to reformat under two operating systems I need FAT so on the XP OS I used CompuApps Swissknife to attempt to format It showed that the format was successful after completion however none of the files were gone Next I took it into a Windows and tried FDisk Fdisk couldn t get past quot checking drive s integrity quot It would stay at forever I wasn t even able to get a letter assignment for the drive on Trying Swissknife on accomplished the same thing on XP Said it was completed but never got assigned letter and when drive was restarted the volume it said it had created was gone I can only imagine the Hard Drive Maxtor Problem drive is done for Any Ideas All bios s on both OS recognized the drive properly Thanks JOe nbsp

Relevancy 52.03%

I am having an issue with a Maxtor Model Number 92739U6 hard drive. I have just finished formatting and installing windows xp home edition. Everything was going ok until I restarted the computer.

First right after I restarted the computer I got an error message A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press CTRL+ALT+Del.

I was unsure what caused this error message so I started to research this issue on Maxtor’s website and they advised me to use fdisk /mbr to repair the error. I did that and restarted the computer.

Same Error….

The thing I can’t figure out is why I am able to boot right to windows using a boot disk.

Can anyone tell me what I should do next?

What would I have to get windows to load without a boot disk?

Relevancy 52.03%

I recently purchased a Maxtor 320GB Diamondmax 21 EIDE to be setup as a seconday storage device. I have set my current WD 120GB to Master and the Maxtor 320GB to Slave. It reads the Maxtor 320GB in the BIOS and in Win XP under Disk Management. I have triple checked the jumper settings and the cables(Black = Primary Master and Gray = Primary Slave). When I go to format the Maxtor 320GB it formats all the way and then give a popup window that says Format Unsuccesful. Please help.

Relevancy 52.03%

Alright so I have this old maxtor hard drive that im trying to plug into my laptop. It has shown up before once or twice but now when i plug it in it makes the noise that any other usb plug in makes but will not show up in My Computer.. i have seen other help sites but i dont understand what they are saying or telling me to do.. can anyone help me get it to show up. i have stuff on it also i would like to not have to delete it.

thanks so much

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi,My Maxtor 160GB sata hardrive three months old has become noticeably noisy i checked to see if it was the CPU fan by disconnecting the hardrive and it disappeared.When the red light flickers the noise coincides with the light,the noise is like a squeaky sound,is this normal.Regards Martin.

A:Maxtor hard drive noisy

No, I would say it's not normal. But you knew that already or you wouldn't be here. I would backup any important data and replace the drive. If it's only three months old, it should still be under warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/maxtor-hard-drive-noisy.135151/
Relevancy 52.03%

About a month ago I purchased a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 Hard drive. Once I got the hard drive I realized that it was not compatible with my computer. I emailed the company I bought the drive from and they told me to buy Serial ATA Adapter. After installing the drive and adapter and from what I understand as all the software, the Hard drive is recognized as as being connected, but is not showing up under my computer or anywhere where the drive can be used.

I am just wondering if there is something here that I am missing or have overlooked. any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Clint

Relevancy 52.03%

I removed the harddrive from my other XP Pro tower, its a Maxtor 100 gb PATA 133 HDD & would like to know how to hook it up to the tower I'm on now to possible remove some tunes & pictures.
Picture attached

A:Checking out a Maxtor hard drive

Well, you do the opposite of what you did on the XP tower.

1. Secure the the HDD in the HDD bay.
2. Connect the power and IDE cables to the HDD
3. Power up your PC and check the BIOS to see if your HDD is being detected.

BUT FIRST, you might want to check the jumper setting on the Maxtor, to make it a Slave drive.

If the HDD was the only (or primary) drive in the XP tower, chances are it is configured as the Master drive, which will of course cause a conflict in your current tower.

this guide shows the jumper settings for your HDD:

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/en_us/documentation/manuals/diamondmax_10_product_manual_pata.pdf
@mods: Had to double post because of the link-post count restriction.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/checking-out-a-maxtor-hard-drive.172770/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey guys

I have a Maxtor Hard Drive hooked up to my Mac Book Pro and the other day (midway through using it!) it lost power supply, By this I mean the disk has ceased to spin and the light on the hard drive has gone out. I think it is a fault with the power input and I need a second opinion. It is not a fuse in plug as I have changed power leads but there is a power inverter before the power lead gets to the hard drive - what is the chances its a fault with this - there is a light on the power pack but it flickers when I plug it into the drive yet the hd doesn't move, light up or even fart!

Help!

Thanks Tom

A:Maxtor Hard Drive - no power!

What Model Maxtor External is this? I had a Maxtor PS3000 die on me, it turned out to the electronics in the enclosure died but the drive itself was fine. Ended up installing it interrnal in one of my systems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/maxtor-hard-drive-no-power.916694/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey,

My friend gave me his Maxtor Basics 250gb Hard Drive (Part # 9NX2DG-500) to put some of the songs i have made on. I connected it to my pc and it doesn't recognise it at all, so i restarted and still the same thing happens. I'm not sure if it requires any drivers or if i have to edit anything in the BIOS.

Someone please advise me on what to do.

Thanks

Relevancy 52.03%

I recently bought a (180gb) external MAXTOR hardrive. It was connected via FIREWIRE.
Well it was working fine formatted as NTFS. But all of a sudden I go to access it and it cannot be recognized...and it looks like the file format is RAW.

I have know clue what happened.
I have some criticle data on it that I need. my last resort is one of those recovery services.

But isn't there a tool or something I can repair so I can atlease get the data off?

Any Ideas?
Thanks
Ken

A:Help recovering MAXTOR hard drive

I've used this before, and it seems to work fine..

http://www.ontrack.com/

Easy Recovery Pro

Has a trial that allows you to see files that have been deleted - so you know if it can get your files back. Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-recovering-maxtor-hard-drive.220600/
Relevancy 52.03%

i have just installed a new maxtor HD . and it isnt viewable in my computer .. but i do see it in the device manager , i have tried all three settings . master cable select and slave . none of the setting would allow me to see the HD in my computer .. but asi say . i can see it in the device manager ..
would like to get this space available . any thoughts or sugestion ??
cheers

Relevancy 52.03%

I recently oredered a Plumax 2.0 USB external hard drive to help my dad back up his laptop. However I'm unsure exatly how to format the dirve or get it working. Being USB i tried just plugging it into the computer, and was were notified of it running at a reduced speed due to USB 1.0 on our computers. It aslo detected and installed new USB Mass storage device hardware. However it does not show up under My computer as a drive. Under device manager the maxtor HD shows up and says it is working properly, and also it shows up in the USB as mass storage device. I run Win XP and was wondering if i need to format this thing or if its broken? Thanks a bunch

A:Plumax/Maxtor 2.0 USB hard drive

The drive is working fine. The reduced speed message is normal when you plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.1 port.

As far as the drive not appearing, it's not formatted! Right click on My Computer, select Manage. Select Disk Manager, and find the USB drive in the drive list. Right click on the drive and select Format. When you get done, it'll show up in My Computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/plumax-maxtor-2-0-usb-hard-drive.136176/
Relevancy 52.03%

It seems I m not out of the woods just yet I had a plethora of issues earlier that with 160 Problems Hard drive Maxtor GB led to me having to do a recovery windows reinstall on my computer recently You can read all about that at this thread http www techspot com vb showthread php p post I am now having a strange issue since recovering the computer where it seems that everytime I try to open my G drive the GB Maxtor hard drive it freezes up on me In total I have hard Problems with 160 GB Maxtor Hard drive drives on this machine GB drives GB drive and GB drive They are set with a Promise Raid configuration as per my motherboard an Asus P C Deluxe The window that would be showing the contents of the drive will freeze up when I try to explore the contents of the drive through quot my computer quot and my mouse pointer will intermittetly freeze on the screen several times I have to try using ctrl alt delete to shut it down but most of the time have to hit the reset button on the computer I sure hope this GB drive isn t trying to fail on me I ve also noticed that when I double click on shortcuts on my desktop that point to programs on that drive also cause this weird freezing issue This all seemed to start after me recovering the system The only things I did differently when recovering than what I normally do is that I installed the Promise Raid configuration AFTER recovery and I changed the defualt file system on the GB drive that is home to windows and not much else I changed the file system from FAT to NTFS I will try to check out the jumper configuration later and see what to do next Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance You are all WONDERFUL nbsp

A:Problems with 160 GB Maxtor Hard drive

Your systems power supply is probably working beyond it's max output, and is dieing. The 160GB + hard drives get very hot. Heat = lots of current draw. I aso have 4 hard drives, a CD/DVD burner and a DVD ROM. I have a 80GB, 60GB and 2 40GB drives in a Antec server case full tower, with an Antec 350 Watt power supply... The system is over 1 year old

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-with-160-gb-maxtor-hard-drive.59497/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello,

I have a Maxtor 500 gig Hard drive. I got it a while back as a gift and never had a chance to use it until I got an external case for it. However, when I first started the HDD up, my computer only registered a 150 gig hard drive. I thought that was odd, so I tried to reformat it, but I kept on getting only 150. I tried atleast 3 different external cases and they all gave me the same result.

Does anyone know how to fix this or have anything that I can try to see what's wrong with my Hard drive?

Thanks.

Relevancy 52.03%

My old PC HArd Drive crashed ...
Now I want to recover my Data from it when I connect this Hard drive via USB adapter to my NEW PC
i got only 1 option to Format it .
as I said I want to recover my data from it so i treid few below softwares

Now Problem is the HD size is 80 GB & I see only 31 GB and it says RAW on it ...remaining 49 GB is Still missing .....Check the sceen shot of one of the program i used to recover my data.

Now please suggest me what should I do so i might be able to revocer and able to find the lost 49 GB on my Hard Drive.

Anxiously waiting for reply
Thanks

Relevancy 52.03%

I am currently running Windows Vista Business and when I connect my Maxtor OneTouch III USB 2.0 my computer does not recognize it. How can I get the information from my hard drive onto my computer?!

A:Maxtor External Hard Drive

Check with Maxtor and see if they have Vista drivers for your external.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/maxtor-external-hard-drive.85605/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have been using a Maxtor 6 external hard drive for a bout a year now without any problems at all. Yesterday all of a sudden it isn't being recognized my my computer. It shows the original internal drive c but not the external drive d. Any ideas what could be causing this problem
Any help will be very gratefully appreciated
Beachwolf132

A:Maxtor 6 external Hard Drive

First, try it on another computer. If it works there or not will tell you whether you have a computer problem or a drive problem. You need to know that before you know which direction your further diagnostics should take.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/maxtor-6-external-hard-drive.839377/
Relevancy 51.6%

I receive a Smart Drive error of "Immanent Failure, back-up immediately"... and of course its been telling me this for close to 2yrs now. my Question is this, "Is my Hard Drive covered under its manufacturers warranty or HP's warranty?". My Laptop is no longer warranted by HP but the manufacturer has a 5yr. warranty on its internal hard drives and my hard drive isn't 5yrs old yet. The HHD I'm referring to came installed within my laptop at the time I purchased it. Anything else you need to know? Thank you.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-Drive-Replacement-Warranty/td-p/5757710
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a Hard Disk Short DST 'Failed'Sent the info to HP (you can't talk to anyone)and asked about warranty...never heard back.

A:Crashed hard drive / warranty

@Mik46?, welcome to the forum. This is a peer to peer help forum. The only presence that HP has on it are the Admins and the Mods. Otherwise, none of us works for HP. Your computer was released in 2012.  Therefore, it is over 3 years old and the warranty has expired.  You will have to buy another hard drive that is the same size or larger than the one being replaced.  Here is a guide to help you replace it. If you need further help, you will have to contact HP Customer Service. Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Crashed-hard-drive-warranty/td-p/5770624
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello,
How do I format my hard drive, and create a boot disk so that I can clean out my old hard drive and then reinstall Win98 plus my device drivers? I have a new MSI 845 Ultra -AR motherboard with Pentium 4 and I am in the process of completing my building of a new PC. I still am using my old 10.2 Gbyte Maxtor hard drive from my previous Gateway PC but I want to clean it out and then re-install Win98 plus my device drivers. Thanks for all of your help in advance.

A:Solved: Formating my Maxtor Hard Drive...

For boot disk, go to Add/Remove Programs > Startup Disk. To format HD, boot using boot disk and use the command

Code:
format c:

Make sure you save all of your drivers and files you need on a CD or different partition before continuing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-formating-my-maxtor-hard-drive.104785/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hey all im having some issues with an Maxtor One Touch GB external hard drive i purchased I bought it about months ago and issues Maxtor/SATA drive hard it worked perfectly during that period However i recently went overseas for a month and when i came back my computer was unable to recognise it as an external device The hard drive runs of usb and a power adaptor and when i first turnoed on my machine and attempted to plug in my external hard drive the computer froze when i reset it failed to load with the hard drive still plugged in I removed it and everything worked perfectly i once again tried to plug in the hard drive and it attempted to reinstall the software on my computer yet Maxtor/SATA hard drive issues i was still unable to see or view the device through my computer or safely remove hardware With further attempts Maxtor/SATA hard drive issues disconnecting and reconnecting the hard drive my computer would freeze and windows explorer would reset or close I was able to get my music data off of a friend and all that remains on the hard drive are movies and general copies of files on my computer so i wasn't to worried about losing data Today i decided id attempt to play around with it again and i read on several posts that the issue could have been caused by the casing of the external hard drive I removed the hard drive from the case and purchased a new SATA cable to connect to my motherboard Yet when i attempted to turn on my PC with the hard drive connected via only this cable it came up with the message quot unable to read disk quot - quot please press ctrl alt del to restart quot with this command then prompting this message again Once again removing the hard drive allowed the computer to run perfectly Im assuming that ill have to install my OS on this hard drive to get it to work though ive failed to find an appropriate guide to help me Any advice on how i could get this hard drive to funcion would be very appreciated Id preferrably like to keep the data on the hard drive My specs are as follows OS - Vista Home Premium bit - SP Drives - Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space JD G PFE Q SCSI CdRom Device CD-ROM drive PIONEER DVD-RW DVR- ATA Device CD-ROM drive quot format removeable media Floppy drive WDC WD AAKS- SBA ATA Device Hard drive GB -- drive Bus Adapters - b Microsoft iSCSI Initiator SCSI RAID Host Controller x Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - A Processor - gigahertz Intel Core Duo kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache Main Circuit Board - Board ASUSTeK Computer INC P B Rev xx Bus Clock megahertz BIOS American Megatrends Inc Local Drive Volumes c NTFS on drive GB GB free The External hard drive was a Maxtor One Touch GB The hard drive is a Seagate Barrucada

A:Maxtor/SATA hard drive issues

Some steps to consider:

Are you giving the hard drive power when connecting to your motherboard? You need to connect the Sata power cable to the drive. Simply plugging the sata data cable in isn't enough.
Are you disconnecting your other internal hard drive?
If the external HD is powered and the internal hard drive is connected, check BIOS for boot priority. It may be attempting to read from the external drive and when it fails to find boot data, you get that error.

Good luck

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/203932-maxtor-sata-hard-drive-issues.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi As with a few people on here External Maxtor Drive Hard taken and reconnected apart I have had Maxtor External Hard Drive taken apart and reconnected an issue with my once thought always reliable Maxtor GB External Hard Drive Then the inevitable occurred and as I was writing to it an error occurred and computer kind of half froze so I stupidly pulled out the USB Cable Now when I plug the hard drive in it doesn t even recognise it nor when I try it out on other computers So it seemed like the next step was to pull it out of its case and connect it to my home computer as a secondary drive Got a friend over to do that for Maxtor External Hard Drive taken apart and reconnected me and now under disk managament it says it is quot unallocated quot and seems like I can t access it I tried to quot Initialize quot it but doesn t seem to be doing anything So I guess my first question is what is this whole quot initialize quot command as far as I have read it is always the first step in formatting my drive which is the LAST thing I want to do - did I say this data I have is unbacked up and priceless to me Is there any other suggestions people have for me Thanks in anticipation cheers David nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

Hello I've recently done a drive 250gb Maxtor Hard Problem. IDE clean install of Windows Ultimate and one of my harddrives is not showing up correctly The harddrive itself IDE Maxtor 250gb Hard drive Problem. is my Local Disk D it hasn't got any system files on it however it is displaying at the wrong size The problem lies in the fact that on boot my Computer's IDE Maxtor 250gb Hard drive Problem. BIOS detects the harddrive as a GB harddrive This is not a problem as I understand that the harddrive itself isn't the exact size as what it says on the box however the Windows installation and Windows itself only detects the harddrive as being gb What I've Tried Doing I've tried different things to resolve this issue I've looked at the Disk Management but there are no extra partitions and I've also looked at the harddrive in Partition Manager which again only picked up gb and no unallocated space I've run a partition recovery tool in Partition Manager which did not detect any lost partitions containing the rest of the harddrive My System Code ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Machine name SAM-PC Operating System Windows Ultimate -bit Build win rtm - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O E M System Model To Be Filled By O E M BIOS BIOS Date Ver Processor AMD Opteron tm Processor GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found User DPI Setting Using System DPI System DPI Setting DPI percent DWM DPI Scaling Disabled DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No sound card was found If one is expected you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels -------------------- Direct D retail DirectDraw retail DirectInput retail DirectMusic retail DirectPlay retail DirectSound retail DirectShow retail --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name RADEON X PRO Microsoft Corporation - WDDM Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc Chip type DAC type Internal DAC MHz Device Key Enum PCI VEN amp DEV A amp SUBSYS amp REV Display Memory MB Dedicated Memory MB Shared Memory MB Current Mode x bit Hz Monitor Name Generic PnP Monitor Monitor Model Acer AL W Monitor Id ACRAD Native Mode x p Hz Output Type HD Driver Name atiumdag dll atiumdva cap atitmmxx Driver File Version English Driver Version DDI Version Ex Driver Model WDDM Driver Attributes Final Retail Driver Date Size bytes WHQL Logo'd Yes WHQL Date Stamp Device Identifier D B EE - - CF-C - A C C Vendor ID x Device ID x A SubSys ID x Revision ID x Driver Strong Name atiilhag inf ATI Mfg NTx ati mtag R pci ven amp dev a Rank Of Driver F Video Accel ModeMPEG A ModeMPEG C Deinterlace Caps E FF-B - B-BCF -BCB E F Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive AA E- - A - C - F FAF E E Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech BOBVerticalStretch A A C -C EC- BD - EDE-F C DC B Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY E FF-B - B-BCF -BCB E F Format In Out UYVY UYVY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive AA E- - A - C - F FAF E E Format In Out UYVY UYVY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech BOBVerticalStretch A A C -C EC- BD - EDE-F C DC B Format In Out UYVY UYVY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY C C - FB - F - - BF EE D Format In Out NV x e Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess Stretch... Read more

A:IDE Maxtor 250gb Hard drive Problem.

Hello samboyd93. Welcome to the forum.

The only thing I can think of is that the drive is set as a SATA2 drive on an older computer that only does SATA1 (please fill in your "My System Specs" to help avoid these kinds of guesses) although I doubt it.

If you look at the back of the HDD there are jumper pins. Setting a jumper sets the SATA speed on most drives. You may need to consult the HDD's documentation to see what the different jumper positions do. Every manufacturer has a different setup.

I would try setting the drive as SATA1 to test. But both drives should be at the same setting. Also try plugging the problem drive into a different port or using a different SATA cable. Can't hurt, might help.

You should also go into your BIOS and check the settings for that drive and compare them to the settings for the other drive. They should be the same.

Hope that helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/118783-ide-maxtor-250gb-hard-drive-problem.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi Guys Its my first time here I ve bought a abit NF -S motherboard and bought other hardware seperately Dvd rom Dvd writer memory DECTECT HARD MY NF7-S My DRIVE SATA MAXTOR CANNOT cpu mb graphic card floppy drive maxtor gb sata hard drive The problem is I can see it partion for a split seconds in the bios when reboot gb and something about ctrl s or f Some hardware devices are registered dvd rom dvd rw My NF7-S CANNOT DECTECT MY SATA MAXTOR HARD DRIVE floppy etc when i tried to run windows xp it comes up with windows cannot continue set up and something about cannot find hard disk and press f to quit check to see if power cord attached etc I dont know what else to do or press in the My NF7-S CANNOT DECTECT MY SATA MAXTOR HARD DRIVE set up cmos set up in the Integrated Peripherals what to enable and disable I ve check to see if I ve connect the hardware correctly and I dont know if the hard drive is not compatible although my board has two sata connectors sata and sata and ide slots I need you lots help please nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

I have an old Maxtor hard drive that I am trying to set as a slave and I'm not sure how to set the jumpers.

I couldn't find a picture of the Hard Drive so I made a diagram of what the 2 jumpers look like now. The Model of the drive is 90340D2. I have also tried looking on the maxtor website but I couldn't find anything.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/z3r021nf1n1ty/Jumper.jpg

I would really appreciate it if someone could help

Relevancy 51.6%

My maxtor 250gb external hard drive isn't working.
http://www.maxtor.com/en/hard-drive-backup/external-drives/maxtor-onetouch-4-mini.html
When i plug it into my computer the light turns on and it makes the sound in the attached file (Had to be .zip because it wouldn't let me attach .amr). It is fairly quiet so you may need to turn your speakers up. I just need a quick fix to get some files.

Thanks for any help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/maxtor-external-hard-drive-not-working.781114/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a Maxtor 5000 LE 80gb external hard drive using a USB
interface that I use for storing backup copys of my system. I
would like to be able to use this as a second hard drive when
I am surfing the net or downloading new programs. Is it possible to have my system set up in a way that it would ask me which
drive I would like to access to gain access to my stored programs
and stay in that drive until I request a switch back to my main
drive, which is slowly filling up. I hope I have made my request
clear and look forward to receiving whatever input I get, thanks.

Frank.

A:Maxtor 5000 LE External hard drive.

You should be able to that without any problem. Whenever you install a program you are usually given an option of what drive you want to install to; just select the new drive.

Same goes for downloading files, on the Save To screen just select the drive letter corresponding the the external drive and save it there. You can create folders by using My Computer on the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/maxtor-5000-le-external-hard-drive.213681/
Relevancy 51.6%

hey i have a Maxtor personal storage 3200 and im having a bit of a problem...

i got it at christmas and until now it has been great!

i plug it in and connect it up using the usb cord and then..computer says theres a power surge on the hub port....
i disconnect the HD and reset it and nothing happens.... not quick - play nothing!!!!
the HD is turned on and working (hear it working) (light is on)
im a bit unhappy becuase its basically brand new!

please help!!!!!!!!!

Relevancy 51.6%

I installed windows xp on this and it was fine. However, I can't get windows to fully recognize this hard drive. It always puts it in the 2nd channel master in the bios start up no matter how I plug in the cables (or don't plug some in) and it calls it a removeable drive with the icon on the taskbar to safely remove this hardware. Also, it freezes after I go into windowsupdate.com and/or a couple minutes or so after loaded into windows. I've looked through the manual and it says it will take sata up to 3 gb/s (which this is) and I set the jumper to limit it to 1.5 since that's all the cable is good for.

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,
I have the MAxtor Basic 1TB hard drive with data of about 500gb. I was in the process of backing up on McAfee Online Back when all of a sudden the hard drive started squeaking and now cannot be recognised by any of my computers.

I have changed cables, changed computers but no avail It is not seen by any of the data recovery software as well.

On the Disk Management it shows aS DISK 5 Unknown and when right click it tells me to initialise it and when I say yest it says...I/O Device Error.

When I go into the Device Managerit is listed under Disk Drives and says Device Working Properly.

Any help as to how I can get it up and running or have I lost all my information...omg?

Please help.

Many Thanks.

A:Maxtor basic hard drive cannot be seen by my computer

From personal experience I have had a hdd (hard disk drive) do the same thing. After trying it in multiple PCs and two different Macs, it was hosed. Keep in mind... "the failure rate of hard drives is 100%, it's not a matter of IF your hard drive will fail, but when..." My advise: if the data on that hdd is that important, send it away for data recovery. It's not cheap, but can you put a price on the value of your data?!

Here is a list of data recovery companies that either I, or my customers have had success with. Sorry for the problem with the drive, but hopefully this will help. Take care!

CBL Data Recovery Technologies, Inc.
New York, New York
CBL Data Recovery Technologies
200 Business Park Drive
Armonk, NY USA 10504
toll free: 1-800-551-3917
http://www.cbldatarecovery.com/

DriveSavers Data Recovery, Inc.
400 Bel Marin Keys Boulevard
Novato, California, USA 94949-5650
Toll Free: 800.440.1904
Bay Area: 415.382.2000
Fax: 415.883.0780
http://www.drivesavers.com/index.php

SalvageData Recovery Lab Inc.
76 Progress Drive
Corporate Park
Stamford, CT 06902
Toll Free: 800-970-7188
http://www.salvagedata.com/

OnTrack Data Recovery
Kroll Ontrack
9023 Columbine Rd.
Eden Prairie, MN 55347
Toll Free: 800-872-2599
Phone: 952-937-5161
http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/maxtor-basic-hard-drive-cannot-be-seen-by-my-computer.181379/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,,,, looking for a Maxtor OneTouch II External Hard Drive http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=1688&source=froogle
yeh its a old hard drive now but it was really good for its days and its still a good Performer. I bought one a few years ago and if i could get another one it would fit on top of mine nice... Only found a 300GB and they not cheep,,,
Thanks for your time Doj

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/looking-for-a-maxtor-onetouch-ii-external-hard-drive.691330/
Relevancy 51.6%

how to format a MAXTOR ONE TOUCH III 1TB EXTERNAL HARD for win XP? any info would be really great. Thanks

A:how to format a MAXTOR ONE TOUCH III 1TB EXTERNAL HARD for win XP?

Right-click My Computer/Manage/Disk Management.
Right-click the drive to format.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-format-a-maxtor-one-touch-iii-1tb-external-hard-for-win-xp.697153/
Relevancy 51.6%

I use the 250GB Maxtor ATA 133 Diamondmax 10 in my external hard drive..
Hard Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144422Click to expand...

Enclosure :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145656Click to expand...

The thing is that I'm really fed up with the heat it gives off..

When the hard drive is on full load...the enclosure gets pretty hot...

However , often times ...many drive errors appear like partition corruption probably due to the heating of the hard drive..

Is there anything I could do to make it cooler or etc?

I regret buying a drive from Maxtor

A:Maxtor Hard Drive Heating Problems

maxtor is hot, pretty hot
im glad that they will no longer exist
its seems that you need to replace the enclosure with some liquid system
chek this
for sure u need better cooling

regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/maxtor-hard-drive-heating-problems.53479/
Relevancy 51.6%

Ahh I m so Maxtor hard drive problems external mad Please bear with me through all this because I really Maxtor external hard drive problems need help I m working on my undergrad research project which involves taping birds with my digital camcorder I ve been working on it for like a month and have been saving the videos in folders on my desktop Earlier today I took all the videos from the desktop and cut pasted them onto a new Maxtor I think it s could be off external harddrive - so everything was moved from the desktop to the external harddrive in order to free up space on the computer A few hours later I had another set of videos so I plugged the camra and the harddrive both in and was transfering the video from the camra directly to the harddrive My sister and her baby went on the computer while I was waiting for the video to finish transfering and I clearly told her not to let the baby touch the wires or the harddrive Well next thing you know my sister is telling me that the baby not only touched it she pulled the USB cord thing out of the back of it then my sister plugged it back it Now I m not sure if the video was still transfering at this time or if it was finished So I wanted to make sure everything was ok and see if the video went on the hard drive ok - but long story short the external harddrive isn t working anymore It still lights up when I plug it in - I checked all the connections and everything plugged it into all the diffrent USB ports plugged it into my laptop - no luck It use to show up under my computer so I could just click on the drive and see whats on it it doesn t do that anymore Once when I plugged it in to the desktop it said found new hardware but I didn t know what to do so I just restarted and ever since then it doesn t do anything at all when I plug it into the desktop When I plug it in my laptop you hear the noise that my computer makes when you plug something in but nothing else no found new hardware and it doesn t show up under my computer I m going crazy here If I can t figure out a way to get those videos back I have to completly start my project all over again I ll have waisted an entire month and pretty much my whole summer will be ruined Is there anything I can do to either recover the video from the desktop it was originally on but I cut pasted it off of or does anyone have any ideas I can try with this harddrive thingey I d reallly really reallllllllllllllllllllllllllly appreciate any help Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2007/11/11/2003387202

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/19/maxtor_harddrives_include_virus/

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2007/11/12/2003387447

A:New Seagate and Maxtor Hard Disks contain Trojans.

Wow... have they got any idea how they got there??? (I didn't read all the articles so I may have missed it)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-seagate-and-maxtor-hard-disks-contain-trojans.650807/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi

I have a Maxtor Basics External Desktop Hard Drive (500GB)which I have been using for a few days on my PC and it works fine. Will it work on my laptop? I plugged it in but it doesn't seem to work, no found new hardware message etc. I'm using Vista on both machines...

Relevancy 51.6%

I have a Maxtor one touch ext. hard drive that I let my DVR format so I could save some movies I recorded. Now that I don't need the movies any longer, I wanted to use it for backing up computer files but the DVR format must have removed the original software that was put on it to make it function so now my computer won't recognize it as a hard drive. It tells me that the drivers are loaded but I cant access it. I have been to the Seagate sites and can only find drivers to download but I can't find copies of the setup software that originally came with it. It was given to me by a friend that also no longer has the software. Does anyone have any idea where I could find this software?

Relevancy 51.6%

Thats the message Powermax is giving me. Can this drive be fixed? Can I do it? Any programs available. It's a relatively new hard drive.

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,

My Maxtor External Drive became corrupted and I needed to re-format the drive.

Unfortunately, while Working in Windows XP I accidentally deleted the partition and the drive.

Now I can't get Windows XP to recognize the Maxtor Drive. I tried re-booting the PC and plugging in the Maxtor USB Cable, but this did not work. The Maxtor Drive was my H: Drive.

Can anyone help me get Windows to recognize my Maxtor Drive?

When I deleted the drive I was working in the "Computer Management" Screen.

I navigated to this screen through the following path: Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management.

Thanks in advance for the help.

roadman7

A:Installing Maxtor External Hard Drive

The drive should show in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/computer mangement/disk management,but without a drive letter.
Right click the drive and click add partition.
Then right click it and click format.
Formatting will take a while.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-maxtor-external-hard-drive.779568/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a Maxtor external hard drive that I have been using for a few years now
Im trying to hook it up to my computer for the past few months but its not seeing it
I tried everything nothing will help I have a new usb cable did not work either
Downloaded update of win xp sp3 still no change
Can anyone help me get my files from my drive

thanks

Relevancy 51.6%

hey

where can i get a program to reinstall the orignal partition to a maxtor plus 9 200gb harddrive i've check the web page but really can't find what i'm looking for maybe i'm missing somthing???

:hotbounce

thanks

A:maxtor hard drive needs new booting partition

"original partition"? What is that and why do you want it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/maxtor-hard-drive-needs-new-booting-partition.44682/
Relevancy 51.6%

hi,
my 40gb maxtor hard drive that i've bought 2-3 months ago has crashed, and it contained some very valuable data for me, my technichian told me that it might work again if he would replace some chips in the hard drive, and that some chips were not working good / in place when he took the drive out....

what are the chances that the data can be fully restored?

i didn't back it up in disks...

i heard there are places that specialize in restoring such info, can anyone tell me more about them?

thanks

A:My Maxtor Hard Drive Crashed! Can I Restore It??

there are places that specialize in data recovery but they are very expensive. The link below is just one of many that do this.

http://www.drivesavers.com/

I have heard but never tried this. Put the drive in refrigerater and get it cold and then hook as slave quickly and some times you can get the data off. Maybe some else can better describe this for you. This would be a shot in the dark.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-maxtor-hard-drive-crashed-can-i-restore-it.112453/
Relevancy 51.6%

hey, I have a External Maxtor 750GB OneTouch 4 Plus drive and I slightly bumped it over the other day while watching a video on it. Now when I plug in my drive it says in the task manager "new hardware found" (im using XP by the way) but when I go to device manager I can't seem to find the drive. My drive now makes beeping and grinding noises for the first three minuets when I give power to it but the drive still seems to spin. Is there much I can do to possibly get my data back besides taking the case apart and plugging it in internally?

A:External Maxtor hard drive problem

It sounds like the hard drive itself is damaged and not the enclosure. If so, installing it internally won't do any good. You could always try the freezer trick but I'm not so sure it will work here but you have nothing to lose. If your data if particularly valuable, there is always professional data recovery services. On the other hand if your data was that valuable, likely you would have your data backed up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-maxtor-hard-drive-problem.158242/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a Maxtor External Hard drive GB Model LE A While back I had a quot device error quot and searched the web to try to solve it I guess Drive Problem Hard Maxtor External from what I remember it had something to do with a bad file and it took too long to open up the file in the drive and it timed out or something Anyway I defragmented the drive and ran scan disk problem solved some files were deleted kind of upset but not a big deal Well it happened again This time instead a a specific file I could not get into all these were mp s and music videos etc the main folder Ex Jenna s Music and Videos It kept on timing out there Maxtor External Hard Drive Problem are over music files in there About GB s worth I couldn t even open the main file SOOOOO I ran scan disk defragmented only this time when I finished the whole folder is gone I right click on the drive and it still says the space is being used but I cannot find my music video files I ran file search and everything but I don t know where they are HELP Are these lost for good If so something is taking up the space correct No clue what is going on Thanks Jenna nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/maxtor-external-hard-drive-problem.249992/
Relevancy 51.6%

I am having problems with the external HD on my PC Yesterday I pulled out the cable from it to the PC by mistake When I re-started the PC a black screen came up with a message saying that NTFS I think wasn t working and it needed to scan or check for something I glanced through the message briefly and it was on a countdown problems Drive Hard Maxtor External unless I tapped any key on the keyboard I reached to do this too late and a speedy roll of delete something Maxtor External Hard Drive problems or other continuously scrolled up I ended up turning off the PC manually to stop this I haven t a clue what it is or what it did but the PC is now crawling along The external hard-drive is showing empty but I can access all the files on it The problem is that the files are not happy being moved copied or attached to emails When I go to the image files Maxtor External Hard Drive problems they will not show icons without contacting administrator All sorts of other stuff has probably happened that I don t know about IE is at a snail s pace and then seizes and not responding Help

A:Maxtor External Hard Drive problems

I would try running the chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Go to My Computer, select the drive, right-click on it, select Properties.

Follow the instructions under Starting Check Disk at http://www.hard-drive-help.com/chkdsk.html , putting check marks in both options.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/403476/maxtor-external-hard-drive-problems/
Relevancy 51.6%

I had a Maxtor hard drive and someone plugged a laptop power lead in it and it zapped it I have dismantled the external hard drive and put the maxtor directly into my pc but this Hard can Maxtor get I a Where Board? Circuit Drive stops the pc booting I have spoken to Where can I get a Maxtor Hard Drive Circuit Board? maxtor and they have suggested that I buy a hard drive circuit board but I cannot find anywhere that sells them Or I just don t know where to look maxtor have told me this quot For the following Maxtor hard drive models Fireball DiamondMax DiamondMax Plus DiamondMax Plus Diamond Max and all MaxLine products there is also a GTLA Number on the model next to barcode on the bottom of the drive Format Y J and stand for numbers Y and J for letters The numbers and as well as the letter Y need to be identical to be able to replace the PCB on these drives quot My Hard drive details as follows DiamondMax Model L ORO GB PATA HDD TLA L ORO AAB SN L L XH Any help or advice on how I can get my hands on one of these and you will make a friend for life Thanx in anticipation nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

Hello all,

Here is my situation: I have an external Maxtor one touch 200 gig hard drive that I connect to my work laptop. I plugged in my external hard drive via USB cable and booted up my laptop. I hadn't realized that I left my hard drive on. I received a Windows XP screen that appeared to be analyzing my drive, when I saw the line of text about writing or failing to find I boot sector I immediately cut power to the external hard drive. Now every time I load Windows my F: drive appears(external hard drive) but when I try to access data, it says the drive is not functional or inaccessible.

Below are my specs of my machine:

System: Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version2002
Service Pack 2

Processor: 2.00ghz
1.00 GB of Ram.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Louis

A:Maxtor External Hard Drive Troubleshooting!

Are you trying to boot off of the external hard drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/maxtor-external-hard-drive-troubleshooting.52139/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hey all im having some issues with an Maxtor One Touch GB external hard drive i purchased I bought hard Maxtor/SATA issues drive it about months ago and it worked perfectly during that period However i recently went overseas for a month and when i came back my computer was unable to recognise it as an external device The hard drive runs of usb and a power adaptor and when i first turnoed on my machine and attempted to plug in my external hard drive the computer froze when i reset it failed to load with the hard drive still plugged in I removed it and everything worked perfectly i once again tried to plug in the hard drive and it attempted to reinstall the software on my computer yet i was still unable to see or view the device through my computer or safely remove hardware With further attempts disconnecting and Maxtor/SATA hard drive issues reconnecting the hard drive my computer would freeze and windows explorer would reset or close I was able to get my music data off of a friend and all that remains on the hard drive are movies and general copies of files on my computer so i wasn t to worried about losing data Today i decided id attempt to play around with it again and i read on several posts that the issue could have been caused by the casing of the external hard drive I removed the hard drive from the case and purchased a new SATA cable to connect to my motherboard Yet when i attempted to turn on my PC with the hard drive connected via only this cable it came up with the message quot unable to read disk quot - quot please press ctrl alt del to restart quot with this command then prompting this message again Once again removing the hard drive allowed the computer to run perfectly Im assuming that ill have to install my OS on this hard drive to get it to work though ive failed to find an appropriate guide to help me Any advice on how i could get this hard drive to funcion would be very appreciated Id preferrably like to keep the data on the hard drive My specs are as follows OS - Vista Home Premium bit - SP Drives - Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space JD G PFE Q SCSI CdRom Device CD-ROM drive PIONEER DVD-RW DVR- ATA Device CD-ROM drive quot format removeable media Floppy drive WDC WD AAKS- SBA ATA Device Hard drive GB -- drive Bus Adapters - B Microsoft iSCSI Initiator SCSI RAID Host Controller x Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Universal Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - Intel R ICH Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - A Processor - gigahertz Intel Core Duo kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache Main Circuit Board - Board ASUSTeK Computer INC P B Rev xx Bus Clock megahertz BIOS American Megatrends Inc Local Drive Volumes c NTFS on drive GB GB free The External hard drive was a Maxtor One Touch GB The hard drive is a Seagate Barrucada nbsp

A:Maxtor/SATA hard drive issues

try downloading this drive fitness test software fom this link- http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#maxtor and check the fitness of the drive

Moderator Edit:
This test requires internal connection

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/maxtor-sata-hard-drive-issues.120055/
Relevancy 51.6%

About 6 months ago I installed a 500-Gig Maxtor External HD I use as a "back-up" source.When I first installed it, it worked fine. Then I had a system crash and had to re-install WindowsXP Pro. Now this external drive is not recognized. A drive icon is also not displayed in My Computer.

In System Hwde Devices, there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the (Maxtor 500-Gig) USB Mas Storage Device. I have made several attempts to uninstall this drive and re-install it but the same identical message appears each time: Mass Storage Device Not Recognized.

I'm also getting a Code 39 error code informing me that the drivers for this device are either missing or corrupted.

Some time ago I was told that I would have to uninstall and re-install Windows XP Pro if I wanted to correct this issue. Is this true?

Relevancy 51.6%

hi, i just sucessfully installed my maxtor 80 gigs as my primary slave, and now, i want to change it to primary master(boot master). but im not sure if i should do that coz i dont wanna mess up my pc. is there gonna be a difference?? will my computer loads faster for gaming and video?? what will happen to all my programs in my old hard drive? will they work properly?? should i change it???? just pm me, cool? thankz

A:Installing maxtor 80 gigs hard drive

Nerdandfreak.. if you want to make the new hard drive master , then you will need to install operating system . Once you got the OS up and running and using windows XP ., use the file transfer wizzard which should take most of your programs and files from the old hard drive to the new one.
And if you want to make it master , will need to use the "jumper " to make it master ( look in the instructions which came with the hdd how to make it master < if you bought the hdd in a retail box , otherwise go to www.maxtor.com and under the support will get info about it >
The advantage of the new hard drive would be "faster loading times, " better transfer rate and more reliable ( sorta..)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-maxtor-80-gigs-hard-drive.162258/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a HP ENVY m7-010dx that died last night.  Upon power up nothing happens except a continuous slow blinking light on the cap locks key.  I went through their online troubleshooting help section and it looks like it is a hardware issue and will be going in for warranty service.  The big problem I have is that the hard drive has lots of sensitive personal information on it that I believe a good tech could copy and fairly easily decipher.

So what can I do?  I have never removed an internal hard drive and accessed it as an external drive.  I really need to wipe all personal info before returning for warranty service.

Any ideas?

Thanks

A:How to Secure Hard Drive Before Warranty Service

DVDs?  USB flash drive?

How much personal info are you talking about?

Since most of us don't have that much (IMO) personal info on a system...either of the above should do.  Simply copy the data to new media and then delete it from your hard drive before sending.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536737/how-to-secure-hard-drive-before-warranty-service/
Relevancy 51.17%
A:Dell Warranty - Faulty Hard Drive

Good question!

First, what brand is the hard drive? Just about every manufacturer has their own diagnostic software. Go to their site and download it, and test the hard drive yourself.

Then, if you feel you should still send it in, wipe it clean first, using tools such as Eraser.

Hope this helps,
~Jonathan

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/57490-dell-warranty-faulty-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 51.17%

nbsp I think the answer may be obvious for this but I can't find it anywhere so here we gooooo nbsp Ok so I posted on here a few days ago about my failing hard drive and determined that I should get It replaced utilizing the extended warranty that I got which allows free on-site repair nbsp However two days ago I had to go back to drive void Does warranty? the hard changing your my parents house for personal reasons and have not yet updated my address for lenovo I have also not received a call from a technician yet It would not be a big deal but I am starting Does changing your hard drive void the warranty? a job in a couple days where I work as a sales agent from my laptop and I need it to be functional so it can run the appropriate software for Monday nbsp nbsp As I have already gotten the replacement hard drive and recovery USB in the mail from lenovo would it void the warranty if I took it upon myself or a more computer savvy friend of Does changing your hard drive void the warranty? mine to replace it as opposed to wait for the technician to contact me Its not a matter of impatience simply a matter of I need my laptop to be functional so i can work from it Thanks

A:Does changing your hard drive void the warranty?

This is mostly opinion-based, but I'm pretty sure hard drives are CRUs (Customer Replaceable Units). Given that they mailed you the replacement drive, you should be able to install the new one, and mail back the old one.

Did the box with the hard drive come with a return shipping label? If so, just call Lenovo Support and check if you can just do the replacement yourself. Only downside is that you'll also have to do the Windows install again if the drive isn't pre-imaged.

Again, I'd recommend calling to confirm, but if you're comfortable replacing it, it won't void your warranty.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Does-changing-your-hard-drive-void-the-warranty/td-p/3357410
Relevancy 51.17%

About a year ago I decided to get a laptop for my work/schooling need, I purchesed this laptop with a 100GB SSD not knowing how little this would be for the tasks that I was going to be doing on this laptop. I have a blank 1TB hard drive and a hard drive replicator that I could to easily clone the smaller drive onto the large drive. However I still have a fair amount of warrenty present for the laptop. If I swap out the hard drive will this void my warrenty? Thanks, 

A:Will Upgrading my Hard Drive void my Warranty?

Not on a Probook. The hard drive compartment is customer accessible and customer can change hard drive. See p. 35 of the Manual here: Service Manual Post back for any more questions. If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Will-Upgrading-my-Hard-Drive-void-my-Warranty/td-p/5618087
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello Does upgrading the hard drive myself invalidate the warranty? I have a HP Omen 15-ax003na. I have the necessary tools and have replaced drives in other laptops before, although that rubber screw cover looks tough to not aesthetically damage :/

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Does replacing hard drive myself invalidate the warranty? 15...

Typically, upgrading "user upgradable" components doesn't void your warranty, however this computer doesn't contain any user replaceable parts. Please see OMEN by HP Laptop PC - Maintenance and Service Guide, which states; "Removal and replacement procedures for authorized service provider parts;CAUTION: Components described in this chapter should be accessed only by an authorized service provider. Accessing these parts can damage the computer or void the warranty. CAUTION: This computer does not have user-replaceable parts. Only HP authorized service providers should perform the removal and replacement procedures described here. Accessing the internal part could damage the computer or void the warranty." Provided you don't damage anything in the process of changing the hard drive (128GB M.2 SSD), it is unlikely that you will have voided the warranty. If you damage anything while change the drive, you will have voided the warranty. You may also be required to return the original har drive to the computer before receiving warranty service. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Does-replacing-hard-drive-myself-invalidate-the-warranty-15/td-p/5682985
Relevancy 51.17%

Spent a good while "chatting" w/ NewEgg & Seagate - India about OEM vs "Retail" hard drives.

NewEgg clearly states on their site that many "OEM" Seagate internal drives drives have 5 yr parts & labor "Manufacturer's Warranty" (on the specific HDD specs page).

Seagate - India, tells me that drives designated as OEM will NOT have any warranty (or support) honored by Seagate to the end user.

For those w/ experience in this, what's the actual truth about OEM drives & warranties, from NewEgg or any other E-tailer? Is NewEgg (& other online retailers) WRONG about the warranty, or is Seagate WRONG? They can't BOTH be right.

Thanks.

Relevancy 50.74%

I have a Maxtor D X- L gb drive but there are no details marked on the drive casing for me to enter into the BIOS The BIOS shows most items as AUTO and everything works details Solved: required Maxtor hard drive OK but I need to enter the drive details into the BIOS because when I use Acronis TI I cannot make a Solved: Maxtor hard drive details required drive restore when using the TI startup disk as it says it cannot find any hard drives When I exit TI the PC starts normally I figured that if I fed the drive details into the BIOS instead of AUTO it might enable TI to see the hard drive at TI startup I have Googled the drive but I cannot find the relevant details as required by the BIOS namely - cylinders head sector CHS capacity Maximum LBA capacity although I think the last two might be automatic currently shown as mb Usually this kind of information is marked on the drive itself but not in this case Can anybody advise please johnni nbsp

Relevancy 50.74%

hi just have a simple problem with my quot maxtor basics portable hard disk quot it has GB and it has a head usb cable one with a smaller size that goes to the portable maxtor disk hard problem basics hard disk and the other two usb in the computer one has quot data power quot written on it and the other has quot power quot written on it from the manual it said that i should insert those two usb ends to my computer i did that and the led from the hard disk started blinking i waited until my computer recognized the hard disk then a window appeared asking me to install something i think it s about a driver but i dont have a cd and i dont know where to get it the hard disk came without a maxtor basics portable hard disk problem cd just the hard disk itself and the usb cables can anyone help me install that driver needed to make my maxtor basics portable hard disk work i have a windows xp sp video card sapphire radeon SE atlantis thank you good day nbsp

Relevancy 50.74%

I have an old 40 gig Maxtor hard drive, and it doesn't show any jumper settings on it. The hard drive died and I have some data on it I would like to attempt to recover. I need to figure out how to set it to a slave before I can do that, does anyone know how to set this thing as a slave?

If you need any additional info, I'll try my best.

Relevancy 50.74%

Please, can anyone help me my Maxtor ext hard drive stopped working. I was using UTorrent when i was going to get on Guild Wars so i exited UTorrent and played for a couple of hours. Then i went back to watch some bleach and my drive wasnt in my computer. I check but it was on but no lights. I turned it off then back on but nothing. please help its a 300 gb hard drive and it was almost full.

Relevancy 50.74%

My brother gave me How One Maxtor External do Properly? Touch my I use Hard Drive his older Maxtor Hard Drive the One Touch but he threw tha manual away it gave with this quot base quot or plastic How do I use my Maxtor One Touch External Hard Drive Properly? thing that would let the maxtor stand And I am not sure if I am suppose to attack this hard drive with the stand I think it is inconvenient because I bring my hard drive to different places Here is a Maxtor One Touch laying down http www erenumerique fr images stockage maxtor-pers jpg Here is a Maxtor One Touch with a base stand and standing http www lordpercy com maxtoronetouch jpg So here are How do I use my Maxtor One Touch External Hard Drive Properly? some questions What is the propery way to use my One Touch a I must always use it standing up with a stand b I could use it standing up or laying down doesn t matter even if the Disk s are verticle or parrallel to gravity How do I properly turn off the External Hard Drive a Safely Remove Plug and Play b Or I could just press the off button c dont do ANYTHING ur hard drive will die just turn off computer then turn off the drive How come everytime I add and remove data copy and paste and I wait a few seconds to make sure the drive isn t active I can t safely remove hardware Is it better to keep the external hard drive on all day or turn it off after each use what happens if I keep on turning it on and off because I keep on saving backup data every hours Thanks for any help I can get man nbsp

A:How do I use my Maxtor One Touch External Hard Drive Properly?

If you copy data data to it regularly leave it on.
If you only use it once a day,just turn it on then turn it off.

Use the "Safely Remove" hardware icon,or
if it`s got a power switch use that.

It will work vertically and horizontally.

Don`t bang it,or submerse it in boiling acid.

Manual HERE

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-use-my-maxtor-one-touch-external-hard-drive-properly.75737/
Relevancy 50.74%

I just bought a maxtor 200 gig today for 80 bucks. I come home and see that there a couple of deals even better (price per GB) for wd and hitachi 160 GB HDs (all 7200 RPM ide internal drives), although these require waiting for those ridiculous rebates (which I hate)--the maxtor was 80 bucks out the door. I've only had my original (which is a maxtor) and a WD 80 gig which I installed as a secondary about a year ago and is now full, plus a couple of WD 120 usb 2.0 external drives which I use for BU. I've heard that hitachi has the best warrenty, but that doesn't help if they just replace the HD without replacing the lost info.

A:best internal ide hard drive. maxtor, WD, or hitachi? any of them suck?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/best-internal-ide-hard-drive-maxtor-wd-or-hitachi-any-of-them-suck.379791/
Relevancy 50.74%

First of all don't understand... drive My I only one hard Maxtor after year died and hello to all the people here I am new in this forum and I am far from being an expert on this things so that s why I am here I guess to get some help Yesterday suddenly my computer restarted ang gave me and error message Can t start windows cause the file My Maxtor hard drive died after only one year and I don't understand... System My Maxtor hard drive died after only one year and I don't understand... Drivers Isapnp sys is lacking or is damaged Well you know that s My Maxtor hard drive died after only one year and I don't understand... not a rare thing cause a lot of people seem to have that problem once in a while You usually load the windows xp cd go to the repair console and you fix it from there Problem is that I havent been able to fix it being the result that the hard drive is seriously damaged The Chkdsk operation told me it had some unreparble damage and we tried the hard drive in another pc and it didnt read it It said it had no format So I really wonder what could have caused this A virus How come a hard disk that is only a year old and it hasnt been through bad use died this way suddenly And I thought Maxtor hard drives were one of the best on the market now I dont think I will ever buy one again Any comment help will be really appreciated Kind regards amp nbsp

A:My Maxtor hard drive died after only one year and I don't understand...

Drives can die in the first week of use. It could have just been a bad drive to begin with. Have you run any of the Maxtor utilities to see if you can any error codes? Is the drive still under warranty? Did you have any data that you needed off the drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-maxtor-hard-drive-died-after-only-one-year-and-i-dont-understand.43473/
Relevancy 50.74%

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium on a laptop with a Maxtor 320 GB external hard drive that I use for a back up, everything worked fine 2 days ago, this morning when I plug in the external hard drive my computer is telling me that the drive needs to be formatted before I can use it, when I try to open the drive in My Computer it tells me the "file or directory is corrupted or unreadable" I used Restore and that didn't fix anything, I'm a beginner and I'm lost trying to fix this problem, any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated - thanks

Robert

A:maxtor external hard drive stopped working

rolemac, Welcome to SF. Please right click on drive and select properties and then tools select error - checking and tell us what it finds.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/128388-maxtor-external-hard-drive-stopped-working.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi:

I've plugged this guy up to three different computers now, even my new one...and it doesn't show. Not in disk management, or anywhere...no signs of life.

Basically, I have to figure out any way I can get the info off of this thing, if there is a way.

Has anyone ran into the solution?

Thanks for any help.

Specs:

Pentium 4
Windows xP
One Touch Family I USB

A:Maxtor One Touch External Hard Drive Detection

Have to start with the obvious...sorry...does it have a power on light that indicates the unit is on?

When you plug it in do you hear the "USB Tone" that indicates new hardware found?

Likewise, if you click on the "safely remove hardware" icon on the taskbar, is the device shown there?

Have you tried different USB cables?

Have you thought about exchanging it for a new one?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/maxtor-one-touch-external-hard-drive-detection.437960/
Relevancy 50.74%

I found some advice from last year regarding how to open the case. I was able to do so and discovered a Seagate 7200 HD which is what someone else stated then as well.

My problem which baffles me is that the unit is no longer recognized. I've tried all the trouble-shooting to no avail.

The unit makes a little noise like it's trying to work. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was at a loss when I opened the case. I was hoping to find something that had come loose inside the metal box, but all was secure. I did not open the drive itself as I wouldn't know how or what to do with it.