Windows Support Forum

[Resolved] Need advice for changing Mobo and Processor.

Q: [Resolved] Need advice for changing Mobo and Processor.

Current system is a Pent. 2 350...I now have a better Mobo(Abit BF6) and CPU(P3 500) already with it's own case and tested.

I have 2 years+ worth of stuff on the HDD, that I do not wish to re-install and/or download.

What steps should I do 1st? Should I just put my HDD(Seagate 30G), and (AGP)GeForce 2 video card in 1st, let Wiondows(98) "find them" and go from there, or what?

Someone "told me" that I could just take every peripheral and connect them to the new(er) mobo and Windows would "find the new(er) mobo" and "take care of the rest".

What are my best choices...without reformatting?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: [Resolved] Need advice for changing Mobo and Processor.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 76.54%

Hi guys,

I am going to change my motherboard, processor and RAM. However, I will be using the same HDD. Is it necessary to re-install the OS after I have set up the rig? I am using the drivers that come with Windows 8, so driver compatibility ought not to be a problem.
Thanks in advance!

A:Keeping old OS while changing mobo and processor

Short answer--New Motherboard=New License Key if you have an OEM OS version. Sorry

The reason is your license key is embedded in your BIOS, and the BIOS is embedded with the MOBO.

If you paid for a license key separately then you can use the OS with the new MOBO but you should do a clean install because all the drivers will be wrong and it probably won't even boot.

EDIT:
You could try to put the drive as-is into the new machine, boot off the Win8 installation media, and do a repair install. This will search for drivers that match the current hardware
Three notes:
1) Clone the drive first so that, in case of damage, you still have your data.
2) You will probably have to phone Microsoft to re-activate the copy of the OS. They've been decent about it with others.
3) If it works, immediately go to the Microsoft Update site and see what updates are needed for the drivers that you just installed

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/65266-keeping-old-os-while-changing-mobo-processor.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hey all I need some advice with a new build I have to buy a new PC because my old one died in February I mainly need advice for the motherboard and the processor for the new build My work on PC involves surfing the internet for Advice and processor new mobo build with Intel ATX watching movies listening music Also occasionally I would convert videos from one format Advice for new build with Intel ATX mobo and processor to another or for iPod or my Android phone So would prefer a build which would be able to do that nice Advice for new build with Intel ATX mobo and processor and fast Also I am a software programmer and just learned NET so I would also run Visual Studio and other such programming tools So please suggest something which will suit my needs well and will be of a reasonable price which I can afford I look for a build which will be for a long run and I won t have to upgrade it for some years It should be reliable with a good performance Also my PC remains on throughout most of the day shutting down only at night Thought I would mention it in case it matters I did some searching by myself and rounded my results to three ATX motherboards from Intel I like ATX mobos because more devices can be connected to them I like to be able to connect a number of hard drives for example Also ATX mobos offer more expandability therefore too I want to go for ATX motherboards So these are the Intel ATX motherboards that I have rounded off ATX being the preference I have not chosen motherboards which were marked as EOS or EOIS Intel Desktop Board DZ BC http www intel com content www us en motherboards desktop-motherboards desktop-board-dz bc html Intel Desktop Board DZ DB http www intel com content www us en motherboards desktop-motherboards desktop-board-dz db html Intel Desktop Board DH CL http www intel com content www us en motherboards desktop-motherboards desktop-board-dh cl html DH CL seems to be on the low end side and is coming quite cheap too So will it be OK for my needs or should I go for any of the other two boards If there are any other ATX Intel motherboards that will suit my needs please tell For the processor I wanted to go for i but it s quite costly I think i will be quite good for my needs Can i be considered for my needs If yes then it would be great as it would really help me with the price But as I said earlier I want a PC for which I would not need to upgrade for some years and will also be reliable and give me good performance For that I am willing to go for higher price parts But if what I want can be got for a lower price I would be very happy So if i would be sufficient then please tell so If not then please suggest a suitable i processor which would be great for my needs and will be compatible with the above boards I am not a gamer so I don t think I have a need for a graphics card so a processor with in-built graphics would be great I think I might have narrowed down motherboards keeping that point in mind too I hope I do not need an extra graphics card do I In my previous build I didn t had an external graphics card and I never felt the need for one except when maybe watching movies of high end graphics nowadays But I think with the newest motherboards and processors I still won t need one i - K seems good but it s price is a bit high If some other i processor can meet my needs quite good otherwise if i - K would be the best bet then I am willing to go for that too For RAM Corsair GB DDR would be good For HDD I might go for Western Digital GB Caviar Blue maybe I haven t had good experience with Seagate lately so I wanna avoid it But if the recent Seagate drives are reliable please suggest me a good one As for the power supply how much watt would be sufficient I might go for a CoolerMaster or Corsair Also I wanted to ask about router too Can I ask here I might not buy it with the PC in case I do not have the budget for it but if I can get advice on that too would be good Just want to connect my PC and my A... Read more

A:Advice for new build with Intel ATX mobo and processor

Can I get any help with my query please?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-for-new-build-with-intel-atx-mobo-and-processor.1047086/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi all,

I have a MSI k7 pro via kt 266a mobo with an athlon xp1600, served me well, however time has moved on.
1/ MSIs website states the max cpu my mobo can take is xp2100 (upgradeing cpu would be cheapest option). Does anyone know any different?

2/ There are some good "bargains" in mobos, as low as 80 bucks Australian, able to take an AMD 64 3200 , based on SIs chipsets. Of the chipsets available, eg, Sis , Via , nforce, are folk noticing any "real world" difference between them.

I occasionally edit and render video-rendering times not a key consideration and occasionally play Lomac and Il2 flight sims. Thats it. Apart from surf the net.

Your input appreciated. Thanks

A:Advice required for mobo update or mobo replacement

i just bought an ecs N2U400-A MB, i already had a couple xtra processors so i didnt need to get the combo, but if I had got the combo, i beleive it came with an athlon xp 2400+ for around $100 american. so far i am very happy with the quality and performance of this new board. BTW, it is an nFORCE2 board

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-required-for-mobo-update-or-mobo-replacement.17718/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hey guys, I am building my second system and am just wondering what mobo to get.

I don't full understand the advantages that a 64bit system will bring but I know that a dual processor will do wonders for my work flow (I have a 3D modeller who renders alot). I was just wondering if you know of a dual processor mobo which is also 64bit. That would be the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Any advice you can give would be great.

A:64 bit mobo vs dual processor mobo?

Any preferences between intel and AMD?

If you are going AMD, get a socket 939 motherboard with the nforce4 chipset, like this one for example:
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket939/a8n-e/overview.htm

Then pop a dual core, 64bit CPU in it:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_13041,00.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/64-bit-mobo-vs-dual-processor-mobo.31846/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a recent copy of windows 7 pro purchased online. if i install a new mobo, processor and graphics card will i have to reinstall or repurchase win 7?

A:new mobo and processor

If you purchased a copy then you can re-use it on your upgrade, but you may have to reinstall it if you changing the motherboard - ideally you should reinstall it so it doesn't have all the drivers and configuration of the old system anyway.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-mobo-and-processor.1022235/
Relevancy 53.32%

I lost a motherboard recently. I decided to use this opportunity to upgrade to a dual core processor. I've ordered both the mobo and processor, but what I'd like to know is- what's going to happen when I boot up my old hard drive (XP Media Center Ed.)?

If I remember correctly, XP will basically freak out and say "New hardware detected - you must re-validate XP" (or something to that effect).

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks

A:New MoBo and Processor

I'm afraid so, but it usually only takes a telephone call.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/new-mobo-and-processor-191736.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I m rebuilding my PC and have all IDE connections hard drives DVD drives also have a rd new sata DVD drive if I could find a MoBo with IDE and Sata The board is dead need some help finding a new board to support what I have and something that will last I need speed and power I use my PS for gaming I m not building a gaming rig Need a processor for Best mobo IDE/best really good processor Was looking at the Intel Core i Thinking it might be a bit much Any suggestions there I have hard drives a GB and Thinking I don t need to upgrade there just yet Going to use the and in the new build for now I need memory I have sticks of now of which I m Best mobo for IDE/best processor using in another PC I have AGP video cards older parts laying around and PCI Going to get a new PCI-e card I have a w power supply I have to run a cable from router to PC would like to go wireless there Also buying a wireless printer nbsp

A:Best mobo for IDE/best processor

Need a really good processor.Click to expand...

Why?

I need memory. I have 3 sticks of 512 now, 2 of which I'm using in another PC.Click to expand...

So you have 512?

I have 3 AGP video cards (older parts laying around), and 1 PCI. Going to get a new PCI-e card.Click to expand...

So you'll need a pci-e slot? A new card isn't necessary since you're not gaming.

Whats your budget? Practically any motherboard has IDE support assuming you have a long IDE cable, which it looks like you do.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-mobo-for-ide-best-processor.147865/
Relevancy 53.32%

Just wanted to know if what im buying is campitable heres the motherboard-MSI K8T NEO2-F Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro ATX AMD Motherboard-and heres the processor-intel Pentium 4 520 Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor 2.8ghz.

Relevancy 53.32%

Hey guys I'd appreciate some confirmation in my suspicions before I purchase a new motherboard tomorrow I had issues with my computer starting around four months ago Booting took forever and it I had to turn it off and on several times before it would boot into Windows I have an AS ROCK EXTREME Z mobo It eventually got to the mobo or processor? bad point where it simply wouldn't boot The error codes I received were fast and various I think I narrowed the issue down to bad RAM slots I noticed that if I moved the RAM to any other slots the computer would start and then die I switched RAM with a friend of mine and his computer would start but mine would repeat the process of starting and then dying with his RAM inserted The only thing which confuses me is that I thought I would receive a solid error code on my mobo instead of several fast ones if the RAM slots were bad Any help would be greatly appreciated

http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/bad-mobo-processor-276846/
Relevancy 53.32%

This just makes me mad. I had one problem that I was going to solve and then I run into this crap.

I power on and I don't video or anything. I don't think that it's even functioning, because I leave a floppy in there and the light doesn't come on.

I just set it aside one day to wait for my new floppy drive to come in (because I couldn't install RAID due to a broken floppy) and the next time I plug it in, I get no video. I have a PCI card, plugged THAT in, and that didn't work. I tried the S-video as well and nothing.

So it's either one of the two. Which one of these makes this problem?

Thanks

Relevancy 53.32%

I just got a new motherboard and processor, and I was wondering if I would have to reformat my HD in order for them to work. The mobo is a Microstar MS-6712, and the processor is an AMD Athlon XP2000+. My old stuff was some crappy intel board with a celeron 766 (it was an emachines comp). I'm keeping my hard drive for now, until I can get a new one. My OS is WinXP.

A:New mobo and processor

no.

Your new motherboard should detect the new harddrive and set itself up accordingly. when windows boots, you will just have to install al the drivers that came with your motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-mobo-and-processor.107008/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a dell dimension with a Ghz P processor and from my research I believe it is on a socket mobo and recently I ve wanted to upgrade my video card and in the future the HD the dell only supports an gig drive The mobo doesn t have an agp slot and the tower only has a w power supply so putting a video card in doesn t seem a very feasible option especially only a pci card I ve decided to buy a new case Dell towers are not ATX and a new mobo then use the components from my current machine to New for processor mobo P4 my build the rest I ve never built a computer before but I ve been doing some research and I think this will work Since I don t have alot of experience I would like to pose the question here if this will work Here are some of the specs from my current machine that I would like to put in the new machine - Ghz New mobo for my P4 processor P processor socket - mb ram PC - gig HD I believe it s ATA -JLMS DVD rom -Sony CD burner -floppy disk drive Here s the mobo New mobo for my P4 processor I am looking at buying MSI PM M-V Socket VIA P M Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail AGP Slots x AGP X X CPU Type Intel Pentium Celeron DDR Standard DDR PC FSB MHz Maximum Memory Supported GB Number of DDR Slots x pin DDR P ATA x ATA up to Devices PCI Slots South Bridge VIA VT Supported CPU Technologies Hyper-Threading Technology Model PM M-V Item N E can be found here http www newegg com Product Product asp Item N E Thank-you in advance for looking and helping someone out new to the pc world nbsp

A:New mobo for my P4 processor

The problem you are going to be having is determining what in your old system is proprietary. That is ade to Dell specs and only usable on their systems and only replaceable with dell parts. Especially the power supplys and placement of lines on the 20 pin connector being non standard ATX configuration, and motherboards and their mounting holes being specific to Dell cases and not compatable with mounting holes on standard ATX mobos. Another thing is your operating system if it's on a proprietary Dell CD probably won't install on a new non Dell mobo. what I would suggest is sell the Dell and build one from scratch as you are almost going to spend enough buying new things, and for the few dollars more you could get with selling yours you could get hooked up with a nice case good power supply and a decent video card. There are plenty of forums like this one with a lot of knowledgable people that are glad to help you put it together. We all remember when we were new at this too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-mobo-for-my-p4-processor.41374/
Relevancy 53.32%

Ok since my confusion and etc are still around I need to re-ignite this question here are my specs and wants I know all of you are trying to help me but I am confused and a bit frustrated You know what i got hopefully if not here Current spec motherboard is a Soyo Dragon Plus Kt- Processor AMD Athlong GHz Xp Ram two g skill gig DDR ram sets Pc- Video card Nvidia GT once Mobo more Processor and help with ram Two IDE hard drives PSU True antec W CD-rom x speed no burner Pioneer Dvd cd rom player and burner What i want A mobo processor and maybe ram that would let me use my current video card hard drives and at least my Dvd cd rom player burner I do not have the money now or for at least year to get a new PC therefore wanting to do this option So please let me know the best thing to increase the speed cause i doubt with over-clocking i could play a game like Splinter Cell double agent or Crysis or some others for a while If i can get this to be at least to GHZ great Now I need the best solution for this as far as the hardware goes without going to PCI-E untill i can get afford to get a NEW PC base which will be quite some time unless i can get a job So please let me know with links best solutions nbsp

A:Mobo and Processor help once more

ASRock Dual775-VSTA or their quad or whatever the latest edition of that board is. That is about your only hope. It is a budget board, but its solid, I ran it in my main machine for a while.

It will let you run an AGP card and DDR RAM still.

So you'd have to buy a new processor and that motherboard. You could keep your ram and video card. That motherboard is an intel board, so you'd want to go with a Core2Duo processor just because that is the best bang for your buck. Probably something like an E4500.

That board has the bonus of letting you run a PCIe graphics card if you want (AGP or PCIe), but you won't want to go crazy with a PCIe card in it, because its limited to 8x I believe (as opposed to 16x). That isn't a big deal for most games, but I think it would be for Crysis.

Speaking of Crysis, that is a tall order for any system out there now. Only the very very best are able to play Crysis well at max settings, and even then they can't at high resolutions. Crysis really won't run fantastic until the next generation of video cards come out.

Also don't be too concerned with Ghz, they are really only a good measure of performance between the same family of CPUs, outside of that they are relatively worthless. That 4500 I recommended is a 2.2Ghz (I think) and will blow the doors off a Pentium D (dual core) 3.0Ghz.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mobo-and-processor-help-once-more.93710/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi, its been over a year now and I think its time for me to upgrade again to keep up. Anyway I am trying to figure what is the best processor that I can get for under $200. Thanks

A:Looking for new processor and mobo

Well, if you are going to upgrade your motherboard as well, you should be looking at the core 2 duo cpus from intel. Is that budget for just the CPU? You have a separate budget for the motherboard as well?

For $200 on the CPU, the E6300 is a great one, or if you can squeeze a few extra bucks out, go for the E6400.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-new-processor-and-mobo.64953/
Relevancy 53.32%

hey. I have narrowed down a problem here but i am still 5 % uncertain. Ok here is whats happening. I have an HP Pavillion Elite m9150f. Recently for some reason it starting malfunctioning. it worked fine and then was shut down. it never rebooted. it keeps restarting even before it sends a signal to the monitor. i thought the PSU was bad but that was wrong. becuase i used a PSU fromanother working PC and the smae thing happened. I then noticed when i left the 4 pin plug for the CPU off the PC stayed on. When i replaced the plugged the problem reappeared.
i took out the processor and the PC stayed on. Put back the processor the problem once again arose. Is it safe to assume that the processor is bad?

A:Processor or Mobo?

I would say yes to a bad CPU but this is very rare. Was the CPU fan/heatsink dirty? Did you apply new thermal compound after cleaning of the old compound?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processor-or-mobo.129893/
Relevancy 53.32%

Okay i asked a question a few days ago pertaining to if my processor was fried or not now after a little troubleshooting and actually following the directions on the manual of the M B i see that it was shorted to the case Could this have effected the processor and cause it not to work I think it did or that it was Mobo or Processor damaged from the previous problems i ve had I have the M B out of the case and on the box it came in and it ll turn on no beeps or Processor or Mobo POST but when i hold the power button for secs it goes back off I ve had the board fixed b c it shorted and produced a burning smell RMA d and had it fixed replaced Now just to see what d happen i took the processor out and turned on M B and oddly it did exactly as it had with the processor in So you can see why i think it s the processor so before I went out and bought another i m wanting to know if anyone Processor or Mobo here could point out something else that might be the problem note nothing connected to board but RAM processor fans and power sw power LED etc nbsp

A:Processor or Mobo

so...can anyone help confer on if the processor is the problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processor-or-mobo.146301/
Relevancy 53.32%

well my current board does not support the 45 nm quad so i have to buy a new mobo that does,thats a list of the supported boards that will support my new processor,which should i go with?

the processor i am getting tomorrow is the q9450...

my current board is the asus p5n3e sli plus

i was thinking of getting this board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131181

or asus told me i can get any one of these..

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

my budget is 276 with shipping please help as i want to order it tomorrow and do next day shipping thanks

A:New processor/new mobo help

Holy crap that CPU is expensive.
What are you planning to do with this computer once you get it built?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-processor-new-mobo-help.104303/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello I m brand new in and New processor? mobo here I ll get to the point real quick I was dumb enough to buy a sony Viao from circuit city awhile back and after upgrading most of the components I have discovered that this computer is not meant to be upgraded I have posted my issue a billion times and I think it is a mobo compatability problem Basiclly my system runs certain games in slow mo most of the time Before anyone New mobo and processor? tries to help with that issue New mobo and processor? I have tried everything and the only way to get the games to work is by pulling the system battery and rebooting Now that doesn t work anymore Something is re writting cmos bios to make the system suck I have contacted sony and they said that my video card and ect are not supported so you are S O L I m tired of restoring defraging updating and everything else and I m almost possitive it is a processor board issue The sony guy also told me that the processer is quot matched quot to the mobo and I cant just buy a new motherboard This is what I know about what I have g pentium hyperthreaded g express chipset g ram gig is kingston hyper X pin X the other half is stock gt aopen video card gig hd watt ps the ram video ps and some case fan work is the only thing that I have modded My question is is it possible to use the processor and just get a new board Is an atholon better gaming wise Any suggestions on maybe a combo that will work with the vid card and memory that is equil or better than I have now I am not real tech savy so please use lamens terms ANY help at all would be appriciated Thanks nbsp

A:New mobo and processor?

To start with the sony guy is full of crap. All intel pentium 4 processers will work in any motherboard that supports them (socket 775 in your case.). However the Operateing System (Windows) is matched to the motherboard and you will need a new copy of windows if you replace the board. You will also need a new case and PSU as sony uses non-standard mounting holes and brackets.

An AMD athlon 64 3200+ or higher would preform better but realistically a 3.2GHZ Pentium 4 with a good video card and ram will run any game currently out fine.

If you do get a new motherboard I would recomend a board that supports the Intel Core 2 DUO (currently the best processr) so you can upgrade in the future if you wish.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-mobo-and-processor.66782/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi,
In the near future I plan on replacing my P4 2.66 ghz (socket 478) with a AMD 64 3200+(socket 939). Which means I also will be replacing my mobo. Will I be able to use my current HD with XP or will I have to reinstall everything?

Relevancy 53.32%

i have come to the conclusion that most my problems stem from my mobo and processor, so in turn of knowing this i have decided to upgrade both. I play games simple so im looking more towards an nforce 2 or somethin, but im not sure really what i should get, any help here would be great seein as how i dunno to much about mobos and processors. i got about 500 dollars to work w/ but least money spent on what i need the better, if there is no gettin around it then so be it :/

Relevancy 53.32%

hi i have this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130217, and i want to get a processor for it. i think this is the list that shows what CPU's are compatible with my Mobo http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodcpu2&prod_no=1449&maincat_no=1, i think i wanna get a quad core, im looking for something in the 100-175 dollar range, can anyone suggest one or a few?

Relevancy 53.32%

I have a Soyo SY-K7V Dragon Plus! Motherboard with a Athlon XP 1.2GB processor running at 1.9GB. Im looking for a processor fan that will keep it cool, the one I have now is a bit loud for me... Im also looking for a case fan too, the one I have now is a bit loud for me too...

I was also thinking about upgrading the motherboard and processor to something faster and newer but not EXPENSIVE... Any suggestions on parts for the whole thing?

Relevancy 52.46%

i recently purchased a new 850mhz amd athlon tbird processor that seems not to be working...i have the amd 750 chipset..and im not sure if its compatible...does anyone know? maybe i just have to upgrade my bios?

A:{RESOLVED}new processor

what motherboard do you have

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/resolved-new-processor.69709/
Relevancy 52.46%

I'm now not sure if these will all work together...

This is the mobo
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813131224

and this is the processor
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16819103228

This is the ram
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820146677

I know the mobo and processor will work together...but now I'm not sure if the ram is compatible...I was told it was...but on the back of my mobo's box it says "DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ CPU only"
any help would be great, thanks!

Edit: Never mind, I figured it all out, this can be closed.

A:Is this ram, processor and mobo going to work together?

Yes they will all work well together.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-this-ram-processor-and-mobo-going-to-work-together.698166/
Relevancy 52.46%

Computer shuts off seconds after boot Background Just installed new mobo an Asus M N -VM and upon first boot it shuts off This happened twice One happened with installed graphics card The second without the card PSU is fine Worked on other mobo Gigabyte mobo until I replaced it do to what I believed were sporatic power issues like powering off That also happened with a previous psu connected to the previous mobo BTW Asus led light on mobo is still on All fans worked including cpu fan and both case fans I have Mobo Processor Failing or DOA never encountered a DOA mobo so I don't know if that's what's Failing Processor or DOA Mobo going on I also don't know how a failing processor acts since this was what both PSUs and mobos have in common It's an AMD Athlon X All info about this machine is listed under my system specs Also could the CPU cooler not be completely seated on processor I have used thermal paste between them The tube of Failing Processor or DOA Mobo thermal paste is pretty old since having rescued it from a Circuit City firedog bench ASUS GeForce Socket AM mATX Motherboard w RAID eSATA Sound Video Supports Dual Triple and Quad-Core ASUS COMPUTER INTL M N -VM-GREEN

A:Failing Processor or DOA Mobo

Sounds very much like a poorly seated CPU, in thermal terms. However it could also be a badly seated or poorly matched memory stick.

Check your CPU, making sure you use a small amount of decent thermal paste (like Artic Ceramiqu?) and that all the clamps are physically pressed home (if you can take a look at the underside of the motherboard to make certain).

Be mindful of any solder on the board touching any other metal risers, or case parts.

If the problem persists check your RAM stick by stick, try booting with one stick in varied slots at a time.

Take a look at your BIOS and set safety defaults.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/42985-failing-processor-doa-mobo.html
Relevancy 52.46%

this is a new/replacement mobo im looking at buying. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...id=ITD&recordsPerPage=5&body=MAIN#ReviewStart

now on the website for the manufacturer, http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/cpu_support.php?S_ID=440

that's saying my processor, which all i remember off the top of my head is a 2.6 ghz pentium 4 , isnt compatible because the speed of my processor isnt posted on the biostar site.

would my processor really not be compatible?

Ill try to find out more specific specs of my processor.

A:Is this mobo compatible with this processor?

Why question it when there are so many boards and so many processors available. Have you already purchased?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-this-mobo-compatible-with-this-processor.149861/
Relevancy 52.46%

Deceased motherboard has set me on the path of a complete rebuild .So as I haven't had the excuse/justification to purchase the latest technology for the last 4 years I'm slightly struggling to match up the various components, I think I'm coming down on the side of a Phenom 11 X2 processor 550 Black edition as its review says ite good value for money. The problem is matching the correct chipset. I've seen a range of boards offering 770 chipsets and 790 chipsets as well as DDR2 and DDR3 RAM. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 770 and 790 chipset series? And is DDR3 worth the extra investment?
Ive got a decent if old graphics card NVidia 7900GT already so don't need integrated graphics
Thanks for any pointers

Relevancy 52.46%

Ok people, I'm starting something new. I have seen some people try to start something like this, but it didnt work. Perhaps because everyone had the same opinions....
Here's the deal, you have $300.00, no more than that. You must use this money the bast way possible (in ur opinion) to buy the following items:
Motherboard
Processor
RAM
Tower

I will be posting my setup as soon as it is done!
Good luck, and have fun!

A:$300 - Mobo - Processor - RAM - Tower

Well first I'd definitely go AMD for the processor. I don't know where you're from but on the West coast we have a place named Fry Electronics that has great sales on Processor's and MOBO combos. I picked up a XP2200+ and ECS mobo with the SIS chipset (see my signature) for $79.99.

To meet your $300 limit you'll need to go generic RAM but you should easily get 512 pc2100 DDR in 2 - 256 sticks for about $69.00 ea with rebate now. EDIT: Come to think of it I thought I saw it even cheaper lately in ads. $70.00 could get you 512MB's.

The case is wide open but for about $60.00 you should be able to get a very good case with a 400 Watt PS. Yes, some will tell you that power supplys that come with a case are junk and a few years ago that was definitely true but I'd say now you shouldn't have a problem.

You're name implies you being a gamer so you have to know you're not going to build a super computer for $300 but you can do a good job of building one for a pretty good price that will serve as an everyday workhorse.

Good luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/300-mobo-processor-ram-tower.196157/
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a slot a thunderbird 1000mhz pulled from a dead system, as far as I know, the processor is not supported on many boards as the slot a system was being rapidly replaced with socket a. What boards will work with this processor, I found one on ebay; http://cgi.ebay.com/Gateway-Slot-AMD-Kadoka-Motherboard-4000673-/390274660244?pt=Motherboards&hash=item5ade2eb794. I have read one thread that says it will work with a thunderbird 750. Will this board work, and what other boards are compatible with this processor.

Processor- AMD Slot A 1000mhz Thunderbird AMD-A1000MMR24B

A:Will this mobo work with my processor?

It should work, BUT that selling price is far more than that motherboard is worth.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-this-mobo-work-with-my-processor.972276/
Relevancy 52.46%

I currently have a Q6600 processor with 4 Gig DDR 2 Ram.

I want to upgrade my Mobo and processor but still keep the DDR 2. I also have Win 7 so I will do a reinstall at 64 Bit.

Any ideas what Processor and Mobo I should get? I'm in the Uk, and have about 300 to spend. Any help would be great

A:Processor and Mobo upgrade

What motherboard do you currently have? A little hard to suggest anything when we don't know what you are currently using

What else do you have in the system, this will also have an impact on your choice of motherboard (although only marginally).

What speed is your DDR2 RAM?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processor-and-mobo-upgrade.952796/
Relevancy 52.46%

recently acquired a free celeron 430 processor and am in need of a compatible mobo. nothing fancy as this will be a web surfer for the kids. there will be no gaming, video editing, etc. just using itunes and surfing, that is all. can someone point me in the right direction for a cheap/low-cost compatible mobo.

i have seen a few on various retail sites (newegg and TD) but was unsure of compatibility. Here is what the label on the box says:

Freq: 1.80 GHz Core: 135V
FSB: 800 MHz Socket: LGA775
L2 Cache: 512K PCG: 06

thanks in advance!

A:Need mobo for celeron 430 processor

would any socket 775 mobo work?

anyone....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-mobo-for-celeron-430-processor.139375/
Relevancy 52.46%

I and MOBO Good Processor A am new in this computer building process and I have been looking around here probably seen me lurking in here constantly trying to learn as much as I A Good Processor and MOBO can to prevent ignorant questions I have been looking for a nice decent processor CPU to buy for a nice gaming computer I know I want to take advantage of hyper threading -bit advantages and also a socket heard it was very new and upgradeable I have - to spend on a processor alone I want to be able to play this and hopefully next generation of games I also don t get the FSB I know what it is but on the mobo it doesn t tell you how many multipliers you get Very confusing A Good Processor and MOBO on some parts of the computer I also want to get a nice MOBO for around I will probably spend around - in all for a A Good Processor and MOBO computer CRT screen mouse keyboard nice optional stuff and the computer I want a nice gaming machine I don t play FPS games Half-Life and so on so really don t play graphics hungry games I mostly play the RTS games War Hammer etc Thank you for the help nbsp

A:A Good Processor and MOBO

You're not going to get hyperthreading on a amd64 cpu, although an amd x2 cpu(dual core), will be better than hyperthreading. You mainly need ht or dual core for serious multitasking.

You can build a very good pc with your budget. A basic gaming rig will cost about $800-1000(tower only).

I can't really give specific advice without specific details of what you want to do. I like my 3000+, vnf4ultra, 6600gt, and 1gb ram. It works well for games.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-good-processor-and-mobo.32364/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi everyone im kinda new to the multi processor area, and i was just wondering if it was possible to run a motherboard with 2 or 4 CPU slots with only 1 actual CPU?

Thanks for the help and advice.

-Andrew

A:Multi processor mobo?

Why not? As long as there's at least one CPU present, I don't think it would cause any problems (other than ur PC not booting )

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multi-processor-mobo.59900/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade in the next couple of weeks and would like to hear opinions on the following combination:

Asus A8V-E DELUXE & AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Also, would it be possible to keep my current graphics and sound cards to use with this combination? I don't have much money, but I want something that can grow as I go along.

Thanks so much for your help.

A:Opinions on mobo and processor?

I would like to state that all your hardware will carry over into the new system. There's only three exceptions (Memory and graphics, and power).

Your currently running sdram and your new system will use ddr ram. As for the video card this motherboard isnt backward compatible and only runs the new pci express video cards. So if you really want this motherboard you will need to buy a pci express video card.

I would go with the next model down the A8V deluxe. This will support your tnt 2 card but, you still need to purchase some ddr ram for any board you select. Since sdram is old,outdated, and isnt compatible with today's motherboards.

What can you tell me about the power supply?
Maker, maximum Watts?

When upgrading, It's a good rule of thumb to buy a new power supply depending on the age of the psu. If its a few years old its time for a new one. Plus with the new setup your power requirements are going to increase and your current psu may not be able to handle it. With that in mind, I recommend at a minimum a 400 watt power supply.

Do you have a case that's compatible with the amd64? This is a far cry from 650mhz processor. This setup is going to run alot hotter. Your current case many not be able to cool it properly and cause overheating problems.

I hope this helps.
Good Luck
TC
rockin'male

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/opinions-on-mobo-and-processor.329520/
Relevancy 52.46%

I am in the process of purchasing a new motherboard for my PC. I just have a simple, possibly rhetorical question. Does the FSB of the processor have to match the FSB of the mobo? In other words I have a 1.8Ghz Celeron at 400Mhz FSB, can I get a mobo that is rated at 533/800Mhz FSB and still use the Celeron? If so, would there be an increase in speed going up to a mobo with an 800Mhz FSB?

Thanks in advance!

A:Matching FSB of mobo and processor

Yes, You need a Mobo that uses a 400 fsb. If you put that processor in a mobo that has a 533 or 800 you could damage either the processor or the mobo, maybe both.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/matching-fsb-of-mobo-and-processor.26165/
Relevancy 52.46%

NOTICE: The FSB speeds... The motherboard is 800, and the chip is "Integrated into chip" Will it still work? Will it be as fast?

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester Integrated into Chip FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103502

and:

GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813128268

Thanks!

A:Will this processor + mobo work together?

It will work fine. Ignore the "integrated into chip" bit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-this-processor-mobo-work-together.380378/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey just got a new mobo and processor to upgrade my current computer, will my OS work if I just replace the mobo and processor or do I have to take extra steps in order for it to work?

A:Upgrading MOBO and processor....

It will if it's the same motherboard, but if it isn't you will need to reinstall the OS. You may get away with just doing a repair of the OS, but that's never a guarantee though.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-mobo-and-processor.1155421/
Relevancy 52.46%

Just hooked up a new mobo (Gigsbyte G1.Guerrilla) and processor (i7 1366 3.2) and its not beeping... i have all the lights and fans goin on the mobo, but can't hear anything. When I had the vid card plugged in the monitor said no signal so I unplugged everything out of the mobo except power --- thats where it is sitting right now

Am i supposed to be resetting anything? Power issue even though lights/fans are on?

Please help

Relevancy 52.46%

I have a socket 939 amd athlon 3800+ 64x2 that i would like to use in GA-K8NSC mobo its on order , i was wondering if any one could tell me if this is gonna work or ill be able to boot this computer.

Relevancy 52.46%

Hello

I have ASUS M4A78LTM_LE, but it has started to give problems now. I wanted to buy a new MoBo for my AMD Phenom II x4 965BE processor and i selected MSI 970A-G46. But after reading few reviews some said that this MoBo bottlenecks processors having wattage more than 95W and my processor is of 125W. So is this really true? If not i'll go for this but if yes please suggest me a good and cheap MoBo. My budget is $100 (7000INR).

Thank you

A:Will this MoBo work with my processor?

I'm sure it will work with a BIOS Update you shouldn't go wrong. Anyways, why not gigabyte?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/353214-will-mobo-work-my-processor.html
Relevancy 52.46%

heheh funny topic title anyway um i have an emachines that me baught in i went story and My processor. mobo, by moi the a to the emachines website to figure out which one i have in hopes of figuring out waht motherboard i have My mobo, and the processor. a story by moi in hopes of figuring out if i can make a processor upgrade or not these are the specs of my computer when i first baught it in my sig are the specs of my computer as of now AFTER a couple of upgrades i did to it here is before Specifications of eTower i Intel Celeron MHz w KB L Cache PPGA CPU MB SyncDRAM up to MB USB Ports is on Front Serial Parallel Expansion Slot Audio In amp Out Game Port on Front Internet Ready Microsoft Windows Microsoft Works ATI Rage IIc D AGP with MB SDRAM Crystal CS D PCI Audio x Max CD-ROM Drive GB HDD Ultra DMA EIDE quot MB FDD K ITU V PCI Fax Modem PS Keyboard Mouse Stereo Speakers and after is in my sig anyway i still dont know what motherboard i have i asked some friends of mine if they new how much more can i upgrade my comp processor wise because i know not all upgrades will work especially with old computers ya know i can t just buy a brand new pentium and expect it to work and a friend of mine says that even if i do upgrade my chip the most i can upgrade is up to mghz which i think sucks only by another friand says the most is mghz which isnt that bad if i can increase it by i might buy it however i m wondering what is it that keeps me from getting a pentium II ghz processor i know its the mobo but what ABOUT the mobo so what i m trying to figure out is what is the MOST my mobo can take but to find that out i need to know what mobo i have lol and i dont know i went to belarc com and found this out though perhaps this will help BIOS American Megatrends is that the mobo or something bios i dont know what that is something or other gt lt anyway i was hoping if you guys knew of a way i can figure all this out or if its not too much if you can tell for yourself the more opinions the better so far i have which were from my friends i d very much appreciate more oh and i d also really appreciate it if you can also tell what the maximum is for a new video card aka d gfx card i have a cheap mb and i also know i can t just buy the best of the best for that either d card and processor are the last two things i would like need to upgrade my computer with but they are complicated because of my lack of knowledge so i d really appreciate any help input info you have thank you very much edit in summary incase this is all jumbled up for some people i just reread my topic and even confuzzled myself how can i find out the make model of my mobo the name or whatever it is i can refer it as and what is the MOST of the MOST it can take when it comes to processor and video card that s pretty much it thanks again nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

Hey guys, This is my first computer build, so im kind of a n00b to the computer hardware stuff. Well anywho, I bought a cpu/mobo combo at Frys (it was a super great deal). The processor is a 3.2Eghz with a Socket 478. Now, the motherboard that came with it was this crappy ECS thing. It mentions Intel Chipset 878. Now, I'm getting a better motherboard because I absolutely hate this ECS one. The one I want to get is the ASUS P4P800 . It mentions Chipset 865. Now, what I want to know is, will this motherboard work ok with the processor? Again, This may be a super easy question, but I'm new, and I have to start somewhere....

A:Would this mobo work with my processor?

Yes, it will work fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/would-this-mobo-work-with-my-processor.27741/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey guys,
simple one today, I am planning a budget PC build and I wanted to know if this processor

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-E5200-Pentium-Dual-Core-Processor/dp/B001ENB1FA/ref=pd_sim_dbs_ce_4

Will work with this mobo

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-SKT-77...PGJK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1248541960&sr=8-6

thanks,

djspan101

A:Will this Processor work with this mobo?

Yes, both are capable of 800 fsb. Those are decent choices for a budget build.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-this-processor-work-with-this-mobo.131761/
Relevancy 52.46%

Amd or intel ,want to edit with adobe.$1300_1700.Like Ati1900xt video card??All suggeston very helpful thanks.Also which would give me better rendering.

A:Help building NLE Mobo and Processor???

Maybe if you took the time to properly tpe out what you need/want, people will bother replying.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-building-nle-mobo-and-processor.58984/
Relevancy 52.46%

Here s my situation I have a pretty old machine and I need to upgrade some of the hardware I m Help New Mobo/Processor Needed!! pretty sure the motherboard is busted so that is priority number My processor is almost years old so New Mobo/Processor Help Needed!! I m looking for an upgrade there to go with my new motherboard I m looking for some recommendations on motherboard processor combos Here s the catch All my hardware New Mobo/Processor Help Needed!! is New Mobo/Processor Help Needed!! relatively old so I m not sure how hard it will be to find a new motherboard that is mostly compatible with my old stuff or at least easily cheaply adaptable I d like to spend under total for this upgrade Also I d like to stick with AMD processors because I ve had nothing but success with my old one Current setup PC Chips M A motherboard AMD XP Processor ATI Radeon video card IDE HDDs and an IDE DVD-R drive I m mostly concerned with the IDE drives as well as an AGP compatible video card Are good adapters out there Do quality motherboards exist that support some of the older technology Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

I have a pcchips p21g and i wanna get a pentium d 930 3.0 ghz dual core for it.. socket 775.. will they match and work together?

A:Can this processor work with my mobo?

No, Here they say that it's only compatible for P4s and Celeron Ds.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-this-processor-work-with-my-mobo.55063/
Relevancy 52.46%

Deceased motherboard has set me on the path of a complete rebuild .So as I haven't had the excuse/justification to purchase the latest technology for the last 4 years I'm slightly struggling to match up the various components, I think I'm coming down on the side of a Phenom 11 X2 processor 550 Black edition as its review says ite good value for money. The problem is matching the correct chipset. I've seen a range of boards offering 770 chipsets and 790 chipsets as well as DDR2 and DDR3 RAM. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 770 and 790 chipset series? And is DDR3 worth the extra investment?
Ive got a decent if old graphics card NVidia 7900GT already so don't need integrated graphics
Thanks for any pointers

Relevancy 52.46%

I need a good RAM, mobo cand processor combo for about £150? AMD or Intel can any one help?

A:AMD ram, mobo and processor combo?

So you are talking about $136.93 in US Dollars...
There are some problems finding inexpensive memory with a board of quality... So you need to be very specifid about how much memory is acceptable for your system initially.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-ram-mobo-and-processor-combo.131766/
Relevancy 52.46%

I bought my PC in '06 and it has the Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard
and it has the AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64FX/Athlon 64 processor.

It performs decently, but I'm considering upgrading to a more powerful processor and motherboard that can handle more power. I'm currently running XP Pro, but eventually I'll be upgrading to Vista or even the new Windows 7 when it comes out.

So, I'd like to have a motherboard / processor combination that can handle
having at least 8gigs of RAM, 1200+ front side bus, and large cache.

Anyone have suggestions for high end motherboard / processor combos to look at? And, is Intel now the king for fastest processors?

A:Best Mobo / Processor combo?

Well, assuming you have an unlimited budget, an Intel Core i7 965 and an X58 motherboard of your choice will be the most processing power you can get, pretty much.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-mobo-processor-combo.118091/
Relevancy 52.46%

I have an AMD Phenom X4 9150e processor with a cheap Foxconn board (part of a pre-built computer from best buy). I just bought a new Sapphire ATI Radeon 4870 1gb DDR5 and have installed it onto the Foxconn bored no sweat. But the Foxconn bored only has one PCI Express Slot X16 1.0 and I really want a board with a PCI Express Slot X16 2.0 so that I can use all the bandwidth of my new video card (because I can only use half with a 1.0 slot).

Can someone recommend an awesome board for my processor cause not using all of my video cards potential is killing me lol....

Thanks guys you have always been a great help in the past

A:Need a better mobo for my processor, ideas?

Hey any help someone could give me would be greatly appreciated.....this is the first time Techspot hasnt got back to me almost right away....going on five days now....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-a-better-mobo-for-my-processor-ideas.130130/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi, im going to be installing a new mobo and processor for my friend.
Ive only built PCs with windows 7 and i know that it automatically installs drivers needed for the hardware.

I was just wondering if it works the same with XP?

If not how would i go about doing it?

A:New mobo + processor xp install help

No,the situation with XP is different.

Windows 7 doesn't "automatically" installs drivers.It just uses the ones issued by Microsoft(or something like that.I'm not too sure ).Microsoft seems to have included a lot of them in Win 7.I personally hasn't had to install any drivers at all on all the systems that I installed win7 on(though afterwards I always uses the official ones instead as those work better)Kudos M$ .

Windows XP is different.Despite recalling reading that XP 'includes a ton of drivers from the get go',I personally always had had to install drivers from a source,be it a download from the manufacturers' site or from an included CD.Only computers that I didn't need to are those from the stone age(for example,I didn't need to install anything when I reformatted my first computer,a Pentium 3 with 640MB of SDRAM and a geforce 2 card).

After you install XP,just pop in the drivers CD,if you got one.Otherwise,download it from the web

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-mobo-processor-xp-install-help.943900/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey guys, my puter finally took a dump so I'm building a new one. The first thing I need help with is choosing the right motherboard/processor pair. I am looking at AMD, but a P4 would be fine too.

My budget: Processor- under $200 Mobo- under $100

Once I figure out a good combo for the processor and mobo, I can probably figure out the rest. The reason I'm asking you guys is because I want to make sure that the combo will work. If I pick out the stuff, I would probably pick 2 things that aren't compatible! Thanks!

I will be ordering all of this stuff from www.newegg.com

Relevancy 52.46%

Hi
Recentley a co-worker's computer was left on during an electrical storm and got zapped. there was no power going through the mobo to the components so I replaced mobo. Now everything gets power but doesn't boot, the monitor shows nothing. The hard drive is ok, Is it possible she needs a new processor? I would hate to waste her $$.
Thanks-

Relevancy 52.46%

I have decided to build my own computer. I am not an extremely experienced hardware person, but I have decided to anyways.

I have read some magazine articles, etc., but have not come to a decision on what kind of motherboard/processor I want to start with.

I do know that I want a MoBo with support for at least a 1.4 GHz processor, a 4x AGP slot, on/off board sound (doesn't matter) and support for at least 512k of RAM.

I don't want to spend a tremendous amount of money, but I do wany my money to be well spent. Any recommendations on the processor brand and/or MoBo brand??

I'm leaning towards an Athlon XP instead of a Pentium IV, is that a wise choice or is it a matter of opinion?

Any recommendations would be well appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Relevancy 52.46%

ASUS P B LGA Intel P Express ATX Intel Motherboard Intel Core Quad Q Kentsfield GHz LGA Processor Model BX Q APEVIA X-ALIEN-BK Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ATX W Mobo and processor conflict? dual fan w automatic fan speed control Connector pin Power Supply The story Bought those and a few other parts got it assembled and I power on Everything seems to go fine for about seconds before it powers off briefly and then restarts I get absolutely no video and the dvd drive Mobo and processor conflict? will not even open I thought it was a bad power supply so I spent bucks sending it in for a replacement I got that re-assembled and still have the same problem I asked a friend and he said my mobo needs a bios update before it will work with quad core or I have too small a power supply I figured I d ask for a second third and fourth opinion before spending any more money nbsp

A:Mobo and processor conflict?

Your P5B does likely need the most current bios to accept the quad core. When I changed from a 2 core to a quad core cpu, my p5w needed the most recent bios.

If you're booting all the way into the OS for 5 seconds, I'd say you have an adequate bios revision, and it's not a cpu/mobo conflict. Still doesn't hurt to update to the most recent version, plus it's free.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mobo-and-processor-conflict.640373/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi TSG community So i m looking forward to upgrade my PC which is an HP pavillion small form factor and completely replace the mobo and processor and case and hoping to reuse the power supply if its sufficient I think its - w But before that I m gonna share to you guys what I am planning to do I have organized my upgrading into steps because I m still a student and not really earning enough cash just saving up My budget for gaming better processor mobo? and upgrading is only less than pesos Philippine currency since I am living in the Philippines st step Computer case planning to buy a case which are made by either thermaltake coolmaster or aerocool nd step mobo and processor I want this to be an AMD-ATI build so i ve researched a little bit and caught in between the AMD FX and AMD A - processors Between better gaming processor and mobo? these two which is better for gaming i m open to suggestions for other processors FYI I have a Radeon gb video card which I know is sh t but im also planning to upgrade later on Probably the last step Now the mobo I m not really familiar with the terms when I m looking at the specsheet of mobos and I m kinda confused on what mobo to buy But I know that ASUS MSI and GIGABYTE are very reliable and some are cheap mobos I m gonna need help in choosing one My budget for a mobo is probably around i know its cheap other brands im familiar but i do not know if they are good ASrock Emaxx and Biostar rd step Cooling systems haven t really done enough research to know what are good cooling systems i really wish I could afford a liquid cooling system and a case for it but i ll stick with the fans and or heatsinks So there are my plans for upgrading my PC I could really use some suggestions I know my budget is very little for a upgrading to a gaming PC I just want to play the new and upcoming games probably on a medium to high setting since I know my budget is short for ultra setting LOL So there Really sorry for the long post I just want to be specific Thanks in advance for the suggestions replies whatsoever I m open to anything Cheers nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

Hey , I had an idea to upgrade my computer and decided buying MSI 915PL Neo-F Motherboard and Intel E5200 dual core processor. The question is that, if my mobo supports that processor, 'cause it is said on one page(that I couldn't link yet) that Compatible processors are Intel Pentium 4 and Celeron D.

Does it mean that I should look for Intel Pentium 4 instead of Dual Core?

Thanks ahead

A:Need a little help with buying new mobo and processor

Your motherboard does not support the E5200.

Check this link : http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/915PL_Neo-V_(MS-7143).html

My advice would be to get a better motherboard than looking to get a Pentium 4.

Just out of curiosity, what do you use your computer for? Any reasons as to why you went with this particular MSI motherboard when you decided to upgrade? What were your system specs prior to this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-a-little-help-with-buying-new-mobo-and-processor.133448/
Relevancy 52.46%

I'm running an AMD 64 2800+ (sckt 754) and my mobo is an ASUS K8V-MX. Currently i've got two memory modules in my PC and they're both PC2700. I know my mobo should be compatible with PC3200, but i'm not sure whether my processor is.
The memory i'm getting is a complete upgrade, 2x1gb sticks corsair PC3200 DDR. i heard that DDR memory is all compatible (ie. a system designed for PC2700 333mhz will accept a PC3200 400mhz, although it may run at a slower speed).Is this true and will it work with my rig?
Thanks in advance

A:mobo/processor RAM compatibility

Yeah that motherboard is compatible with the pc3200 ram and it will run at pc3200.

So go ahead and buy the ram if you want to.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mobo-processor-ram-compatibility.42863/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi, im going to be installing a new mobo and processor for my friend.
Ive only built PCs with windows 7 and i know that it automatically installs drivers needed for the hardware.

I was just wondering if it works the same with XP?

If not how would i go about doing it?

A:New mobo + processor xp install help

Hi Pauze, The answer is yes, XP Home and XP Pro both will install the most common drivers associated with your computer. You will however need to install the drivers for your mobo (These should be on a disk that came with the mobo). Those are the only drivers hardware wise that I can think of that you will need to install, but once XP is installed you will find that some of the devices that you plug in (Printer, speakers, ect.) windows XP might not have the drivers for so have the disk that came with those devices or download them from the internet and have them ready. If you would like some help installing your mobo correctly, post at the link below. Our hardware specialists are exellent. Once you have everything ready to install the OS you can if you wish come back to us over here and we will help you with the XP install.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/

Good luck
Patmark

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/new-mobo-processor-xp-install-help-507027.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I just discovered this forum and Problem {RESOLVED}Processor from what I ve read it s great Here s a tough one I m working on and just about have given up on I just bout a new SOYO SY- VCA motherboard because I wanted to move a little faster than a pentium and this board goes up to a gig I m all hooked up and it s running great with the in it so I went out and bought a new pentium I install it and I can t even get into the soft menu before it freezes up Now I put the in and I changed the settings and disabled everything except the floppy and the hard drive and I got it to boot to the DMI pool and it successfully loads {RESOLVED}Processor Problem I was all excited for seconds then it froze I don t know how but one time I actually made it to the windows slash screen before it froze up I put my back in and everything is beautiful I looked to see if there was any bios updates that might refer to this problem but there isn t Could my new processor be bad I would think that if it was bad it wouldn t fire up at all Please help me go faster I m begging you Rick nbsp

Relevancy 52.03%

i have 3 processors!i am a bit stuck on which processor would be my best bet to build a good gaming computer with,they might be old but i reckon i could use one of them as i need to watch my pennys!il start with the newest to the oldest.i have no mobo's and need some advice on a good mobo and some good hardware,as i have 2 40gb hard drives and an old phillips cd/dvd burner!should i buy local in ireland or does it matter?does anyone know of some really good websites that sell comp parts.

1. intel Pentium 4 531 SL8HZ MALAY 3.00GHZ/1M/800/04A
2.Intel Pentium 4 2.80 GHZ/1M/800/04A SL7PR MALAY
3.Intel Pentium 4 2001,2.66ghz/512/533,sl6pe china

I think its between 1 and 2 and i think 1 would be the strongest and fastest but i need some advice!thanks alot!

A:Which processor and mobo for gaming comp?

Its likely the first one, as has the highest clock speed. However, none of them are really going to be very useful for gaming on all the very oldest of games.

Some more information is required on the sorts of games you wish to play before even spending some money, as what your hoping for might not be possible for the budget you have in mind.

Buying in Ireland, or online is fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-processor-and-mobo-for-gaming-comp.167519/
Relevancy 52.03%

hi!
i have got a micro atx bx10 mainboard, 66/100 mhz fsb. supporting 2.0v
at the moment i have got a slot one p3 plugged in but i want to upgrade the processor.the mobo manual suggests it supports up to 800 mhz, but what's the highest processor i can get in to this board? cos i think the fsb changes to 133 after about p3 550 and the voltage is lower, anyone know how height i can go

Relevancy 52.03%

ok so i have a question.

my motherboard has the holes for the pins of the processor to slide in but the processor i got has no pins just flat gold connections. will this still work or do i need another mobo (both are 775). thanks a million guys

A:Mobo/processor compatability question

yes it will fit, np, its suppose to be like that, there's pins on the mobo, they are to make contact with the cpu.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mobo-processor-compatability-question.121902/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey all how's it going I'm sorry to be a bother but I've been having comp trouble that has me pulling my hair out I recently invested in ever problems since. mobo/processor/ram New installed, a new motherboard cpu I put everything together and got it on installed the drivers etc Went to play Fallout and everything seemed fine After about minutes I got a blue screen So I went to a restore point and tried reinstalling everything Blue screen again Than it wouldn't let me open any programs web browsers games etc All errors Did a New mobo/processor/ram installed, problems ever since. system restore once more and still had the same damn problem I've tried everything been working on this issue for the past two days I don't know what else to do I tried making a repair cd and that doesn't fix anything for me I guess since I change my motherboard there is new factory reset now I've wasted so much time googling trying to fix this I think I'm gonna snap haha Does anyone have any idea on what it could be I have a ti vid card msi a-g motherboard amd fx processor and gig ddr ram PSU is insignia w I'm at a loss and am seriously begging for help Trying to think what I also tried I did the sfc scannow I've installed new oses and deleted all my partitions I mean before I couldn't even open a program but now I can so I guess that's an improvement Any games it will let me play crash in minutes I'm at a total loss and I've tried a few forums before this and either don't get an answer or nobody knows I'm going so damn crazy haha If there is any info I could give you to help please let me know I want my computer back I don't know if this helps but it's also doing some very strange things sometimes websites will load up other times they won't connect Games crash They don't bluescreen just restart the comp The launcher of Eve Online can't connect Sometimes programs will open if i use their shortcut sometimes they won't

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/597319/new-moboprocessorram-installed-problems-ever-since/
Relevancy 52.03%

got another ? for anyone out there anybody know what i can do about a mother board that isnt posting. im getting power to it but for some reason it doesnt sound like it is posting. if i clear the cmos battery can that help or is the mother board bad. socket 754 amd athlon 64 xp 3000 +

Relevancy 52.03%

So I already purchased the cpu... it's a AM2+ Phenom II 920 X4 2.8 Ghz. The MOBO I'm looking at says it supports the AM2+ socket, but directly under that it says it supports cpu type: Phenom FX/Phenom. It doesn't explicitly say Phenom II. Here's the link to the board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128376

Relevancy 52.03%

So I primarily 3?? Supply? or Mobo, Or Power all Processor, use a Mac and before Mobo, Processor, or Power Supply? Or all 3?? they released their core duo s that could run OS X and Windows I purchased an inexpensive eMachines T Although I primarily use a Mac I am fairly well versed in both operating systems and have built my own Window s based systems in the past and have successfully been able to troubleshoot hardware and software issue in Windows without many problems until now The History When I still had it there was one time it seemed to go into a permanent sleep mode but I was eventually able to get it out I assumed it was a software glitch with windows I recently sold the computer to a friend who after two weeks had a similar issue I had him restart spamming F to load in safe mode and the problem seemed to go away It had been a few months since it happaned to me Well a few more weeks later it seemed to have the same issue but now nothing will fix it Here is what happens When you turn the system on the Hard Drive light comes on and the fans come on Keyboard lights do not come on nor can you use the CD-Rom drive After doing some research I condluded the MoBo must be burned I replaced the Mobo with a brand new one and things were exactly the same no difference I did a little more research and have come to this conclusion The Power Supply is burned the CPU is burned or the MoBo is burned or all I know it cant be the harddrive or else i would be able to boot from the CDrom Does anyone have any experience in this area i dont want to spend a lot of money testing this and that I was going to get a Power Supply replacement and if that didnt work I was just going to take out what works and cut my loses Any other ideas would be great PS Both my friend and I are avid WoW players Is it possible the long periods of time playing the game could have burned something out nbsp

A:Mobo, Processor, or Power Supply? Or all 3??

You can approach this in two ways. One is just to replace the PS. The other would be to remove everything non essential for posting. Just leave the HS/fan/CPU, RAM (if you can or it applies one stick at a time) and video adapter. If that doesn't work try the same set up with the MB out of the box on a non conductive surface. Then when it still doesn't work replace the PS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mobo-processor-or-power-supply-or-all-3.592193/
Relevancy 52.03%

I'm thinking of getting a Celeron D 3.06GHZ Processor later on after I get some more RAM "heck for only around 80-90 bucks on newegg.com you can't beat that" and I want to see if my MOBO will accept & run with it as the Celeron 2.66GHZ seems to bottleneck some games IE:BF2,FEAR etc....BTW Would that make my PC run any better if I can use the Celeron D Processor?Would it make any/much difference?

A:Solved: Where would I go to see if my MOBO is compatible with a certain Processor........

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-where-would-i-go-to-see-if-my-mobo-is-compatible-with-a-certain-processor.462789/
Relevancy 52.03%

hi all and thankyou for taking time out, this is my first post on here so i hope i dont have too many probs..... im not that technical .......

right what it is ive got a alive nf4g-dvi mobo with sempron 2800+ not sure what pin it is...
ive got 1gb ram not sure what it is no stickers on it...it can take 8gb ram

what processor could i upgrade to ? and what ram would i allready have in it ? as i would only want to upgarde allready existing ram..

thanks for your time and any questions please ask.......

Relevancy 52.03%

I have a yr old desktop that had a bad power supply The tip-off was that it wouldn t start without shutting off followed by a burning smell I opened the case up tried again and saw very brilliant blue sparks in the power mobo? on processor Can be fried good supply housing So I replaced the power supply W Nspire with an Ultra LSP W and hooked everything up However only the power supply an exhaust fan drawing it s power from the mobo and the fan on the PCI express x video card work and there s also Can processor be good on fried mobo? a little green led on the motherboard by the pin power supply that lights up I ve also succesfully tested the dvd drives and RAM using another computer but there s no sign of the system starting up Am I right in thinking that the motherboard must be fried Since other components are still good what s the chance that the cpu is salvagable Also I don t know if this means anything but I tried testing the cpu cooling fan by hooking up its pin power cable onto another computer s connection without physically removing either fans from their mobos then I tried turning the other computer on thinking that I could safely see if the fan worked for a few seconds without damaging the other processor since it s fan was unplugged The other computer wouldn t turn on with that questionable fan plugged in This computer isn t used for anything too demanding and I only want to replace what s needed Thanks for the help Here s the setup Intel D GNT mobo Pentium D processor with an Intel fan x MB Nsprire DDR PC MHz RAM mirrored HDs Windows XP Pro nbsp

Relevancy 52.03%

For people who are on TS because of a MOBO or processor problem I would recommend reading this guide Step Find computer temperature First you will need to find your computer temperature by placing a thermometer inside the case with the caseopen Record the temperature believe to MOBO(motherboard) if processor is your fried What or you do of the MOBO and processor Step Replace the powersupply Even if you believe your MOBO or processor is fried you may want to try replacing the powersupply psu Go What to do if you believe your MOBO(motherboard) or processor is fried to your computer manufacturers website or call them at a tech support hotline and ask them what kind of PSU can be used as a replacment If this works it so happened that it was your PSU not your MOBO or processor If replacing the PSU didn t work If your computer is still in warranty call your computer manufacturer tech support hotline and have them determine the problem They usually know the answer but if their suggestion doesn t work take it to where you bought your computer if its What to do if you believe your MOBO(motherboard) or processor is fried still under warranty They sometimes replace your MOBO or processor whichever is defective If you get POST beeps What to do if you believe your MOBO(motherboard) or processor is fried Ususally the POST beeps mean there is something wrong with your PSU MOBO or Processor The absolute first thing your going to want to do is make sure your processor fan can spin freely If it cannot go to a local circuit city best buy or wherever you bought your computer in the first place They may need to replace the processor if necessary or the processor fan If it is NOT under warranty it will usually come with a price You re probably going to need to save up to to have everything replaced or repaired This concludes my guide and if anyone has a problem especially computer illiterates and newcomers I strongly recommend reading this guide Best regards sw P S There is a guide to the POST beeps this page is accessed HERE nbsp

A:What to do if you believe your MOBO(motherboard) or processor is fried

Many motherboards (MSI does) posts CPU and motherboard Temperatures in BIOS (assuming you can get a POST)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-to-do-if-you-believe-your-mobo-motherboard-or-processor-is-fried.46673/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi all Woke up one Gigabyte dies? mobo/processor morning and my screen was blank power was still on and could not get any video when I rebooted I went out and got a new mobo RAM and processor Everything else is the same and the PC is back up and running Gigabyte mobo/processor dies? great I tried everything to troubleshoot this - different RAM different video card reseating the processor disconnecting all other peripherals I tried having the motherboard out of the case sitting on cardboard with only the essentials plugged in no dice The only time I got it to boot up beep then have video was when I put the processor in the freezer for about minutes Even this was sporadic though because once it warmed up it locked up again Repeating this process did not ever get me to boot up successfully again so my thoughts that it was a mobo proc heat related issue went away I checked all the power supply voltages I m using the same supply now and all were OK Mobo is a Gigabyte ID and processor is GHz Celeron Both have been working great for almost years Any ideas If I could just narrow it down to a mobo or processor that would be a good start Not sure what the likelihood of a processor failing is though Could a virus have infiltrated my BIOS The fact that I could get it to boot once indicates this not to be true Thanks taco nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gigabyte-mobo-processor-dies.38031/
Relevancy 52.03%

I recently replaced the mobo (Intel DG43GT) and processor (Intel Duo Core E7500) in my HP a1020n. Everything functions just fine other except....

When I insert the power plug, it turns on for about 2 or 3 seconds and shuts off. After that, I can start the PC no problem. It will boot and run just fine. Since I use a power conditioner I have this issue everytime I need to power up the PC. I did some research and decided to purchase a new PSU. I did that, upgraded from 250W to 400W and I still have the same issue.

I'm thinking BIOS update/flash or something, I really don't know much about that. What could this be? I do not want to keep using the PC in this state so it will be down until someone can help. Thanks in advance.

-Diem

A:New mobo and processor, weird issues

When I insert the power plug, it turns on for about 2 or 3 seconds and shuts off.Click to expand...

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you trying to turn on the PC by this method?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-mobo-and-processor-weird-issues.149018/
Relevancy 52.03%

Is it possible to change motherboard and proc without reformat ? Perhaps a repair install ? Possible with windows 7 x64 or not ? Windows 7 x64 7137 BTW.

A:Change Mobo and Processor without format ?

Quote: Originally Posted by ghost301

Is it possible to change motherboard and proc without reformat ? Perhaps a repair install ? Possible with windows 7 x64 or not ? Windows 7 x64 7137 BTW.

Welcome to Win7Forums Ghost!

It is definately not true that you have to reinstall Windows with a MOBO/Processor change. 7 is smart enough to detect the processor and use it, the only issue might be the MOBO. 7 will more than likely load a default driver for it but you may want to load the manufacture version to make sure you can use all the features of it.

Hope This Helps
Zidane

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/15440-change-mobo-processor-without-format.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi

A friend's computer is playing up, sometimes boots, sometimes doesn't, sometimes beeps pointing to the ram, but other times it's ok. the connections for the DVD drive has bent pins, and it's generally very tempremental. I want to replace the board, but keep the old processor if possible, to reduce the expenss.

The MOBO is an ABIT NF7-s2, with an amd 1ghz processor ( I think). Any ideas of a board I can buy, or do you recommend replacing both with a budget setup?

Any help would be appreciated.

A:New mobo required but I want to use the old processor - any ideas

The motherboard appears to be a very old socket 462 type, using AGP graphics, DDR memory and IDE drives. You would not be able to find a current production motherboard that uses any of these components.

Choices are to buy a new-old 462 board on eBay or similar, or replace everything.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-mobo-required-but-i-want-to-use-the-old-processor-any-ideas.1081127/
Relevancy 52.03%

If I upgrade my mobo and processor and install my xp that has already been
"activated" for my old system will microsoft let me reactivate it in my new system? For that matter if I reinstall on the present system that it is already on will I have to reactivate it?
I'm kinda confussed about this activation stuff.

A:xp activation after upgrading mobo and processor

and welcome to the Forum

If you reinstall, which is the smart thing to do, you will have to activate . . it's quick and simpole, even if you have to call. Don't let it bother you

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-activation-after-upgrading-mobo-and-processor-420075.html
Relevancy 52.03%

HP m n XP Media Center Edition Nvidia GeForce SE GB RAM Pentium D GHz About a week ago my PC froze up with the fan running full speed I Hoped it would recover but it never did After the restart forced it continued to freeze just after startup Sometimes while loading startup processes sometimes upon the first attempt to do anything memory extensive ie explore contents of C Drive I PLEASE Unstable Solved: HELP mobo/processor discovered the processor was about degrees C warmer than the max temp After cleaning the filthy heatsink and reapplying compound I was able to lower the temperature to half the recommended max I have swapped and tested working RAM Video card and even a new HD recovery Solved: Unstable mobo/processor PLEASE HELP discs But it still freezes just as it did before I am left to believe I ran the processor too hot for too long and need to try a new one My Dilemma is this My PC came from HP with a Pentium D Ghz Inside an Asus P LP-LE Emery motherboard as shown here http h www hp com ewfrf wc ry amp lc en amp dlc en amp cc us amp product amp lang en Yet HP s specifications for this motherboard claim it is only compatible with Pentium D series and Pentium Prescott series processors as shown here http h www hp com ewfrf wc ry amp lc en amp dlc en amp cc us amp product amp lang en Nowhere does it include the Pentium D series that it came with HP s technical support was completely useless They wouldn t acknowledge or explain the fact that they knew NOTHING about my PC They even went so far as to say quot don t try putting a new Pentium D in because it wont work quot Even though it came with it I am no rocket scientist but I am fairly sure a new Pentium D will work as it did the last years My real question is how far may I upgrade the Pentium D They seem to have very similar Specifications Is it even worth the small upgrade GHz to say GHz Any Help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 52.03%

New mobo: Installed Gigabyte EP45-UD3P w/ Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 and original HD with Win Vista (replaced a crashed mobo). HD is detected. Got the screen asking for selction of reboot in safe mode, etc. I chose the repair option with same results and the following report. Any help is appreciated!

Problem Event Name StartupRepairV2
Problem signature 01 External media
Problem signature 02 6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001
Problem signature 03 4
Problem signature 04 131074
Problem signature 05 No root cause
Problem signature 06 No root cause
Problem signature 07 0
Problem signature 08 2
Problem signature 09 WrpRepair
Problem signature 10 1168
OS Version 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID 1033

A:Win Vista won't strt w/ new mobo & processor

WHat type of mobo did you have before. Could be a recovery utility that is casuing boot errors in vista, try boot with your Vista setup disc and run a repair installation. HAve you installed Service Pack 1 yet? If not, do not do this as it may disable the repair install, which is labelled a UPGRADE in vista setup.
Take a look here - http://vistasupport.mvps.org/windows...ir_options.htm AND http://vistasupport.mvps.org/repair_..._vista_dvd.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/win-vista-wont-strt-w-new-mobo-and-processor-351797.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I fixed my harddrive problem but Power what or mobo, processor, supply, now i have an even bigger problem Last night at around my computer shut down I powered it back on and it stayed on for about minutes then shut down again What i want to know is if the power supply is going bad it smells burnt The little green light shows that power is still going to the motherboard but it will not power on unless i leave it alone for or minutes I m pretty sure its not the processor since i removed the heat sink being careful not to smear or remove the thermal paste and it seems ok I ve had something like this happen before but the motherboard was fried power surge anyone that has heard about e-machine mobos and their psus knows what im talking about this is not an e-machine I m not sure i m ignorant when it comes to motherboard psu and processor problems but it might have something to do with the switching of my harddrives every minutes Anyway I want to know what exactly could be wrong and if theres anything I can do to fix it Thanks in advance ps not sure if this will help but before Power supply, processor, mobo, or what it started to shutdown and smell the computer stopped recognizing harddrives and would only recognize them if i switched which psu cable they were plugged into One last thing that confuses me to no end Anything that i plug into the motherboard works mouse light comes on mp starts charging etc I can t get to the hardware information so give me any suggestion you can I tried posting this on TSF but got no results please help nbsp

A:Power supply, processor, mobo, or what

subtleteddybear said:

What i want to know is if the power supply is going bad (it smells burnt) Click to expand...

Burnt smells are really not a good thing, and indicates that your PSU is pretty much 'toast'. Get it. "BURNT" "TOAST" HILARIOUS!!

Sorry, that was really bad.

Anyway, your PSU is not safe to use anymore. Get a new PSU and see if it solves the problem. If it does, then you're good to go. If not, it's likely that your motherboard was damaged as well. Processors rarely fail, so I'm more apt to believe that it's the PSU and/or motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-processor-mobo-or-what.687797/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi,

I think that my MOBO can support this processor, but I just wanted to check.

I currently have a Intel Core 2 Duo E660 2.4GHz, with 2GB DDR2 533MHz RAM (2x1GB).
My MOBO is an ASUS P5N-E SLI.

(1)
I want to upgrade to an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 2.66GHz Quad Core CPU. According to the ASUS website, my computer can support Quad core.

"
- Support Intel® next generation 45nm Multi-core CPU
- Intel® Quad-Core
"

(2)
I also wondered how much is the maximum RAM my MOBO can support (can I put in 2GB sticks in or just 4x1GB).

"
- Dual-channel DDR2 800/667/533
"

All help greatly appriciated in question #1 or #2.

A:Will my MOBO support a new processor and differnet RAM?

generally it is better just to stick with 2 sticks of ram. So go with 2 x 2gb if you want 4gb. (This is overkill for most applications). 2gb should be plenty.

You should not have any CPU upgrade issues, but you may require a BIOS update. Read: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic75555.html

read: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic65114.html before doing anything else.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-my-mobo-support-a-new-processor-and-differnet-ram.84765/
Relevancy 52.03%

I am trying to figure out what the signs are of a dead motherboard and processor ?Any info would be great

A:Signs of dead MOBO&Processor

That is kind of a general question as there could be many different possibilities. If you think you have one of these problems post some exact questions, and we'll get it figured out. It's a lot easier to diagnose a problem with a LOT of information than not enough.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/signs-of-dead-mobo-processor.11112/
Relevancy 52.03%

i want to update my processor go from a dual core to a quad core is that possible?

Relevancy 52.03%

hey everyone, im changing my processor but i need a bit of help!

currently my processor is a:-

socket 478
CPU Speed : 2.66GHz
Bus Speed: 533MHz
L2 cache speed: 512kb

this is what i am planning to change to:

socket 478 (obviously )
cpu speed: 3.20GHz
Bus Speed: 800Mhz
L2 cache speed 1MB

however, this is what i am worried about.. ive read that To obtain the FSB of your Processor, a compatible motherboard that can support the Bus speed must be used and this is what it says in my mainboard manual:-

"supports socket 478 for P4/celeron processors with 400/533MHz"
AND
"Core Frequency from 1.8GHZ to 2.8GHz and up"

for quote number 1.. does it mean i wont be able to get a bus speed of 800MHz as my motherboard can only support up to 533MHz ?
for quote number 2.. will i be able to get 3.2GHz from this new processor?

thanks in advance!

Relevancy 52.03%

Greetings folks,

I'm looking to change my processor from an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ (Socket 939). I don't intend to change from the current cooling arrangement, but am not sure about the thermal compound. When changing the processor, will I need to get and apply new thermal compound?

Relevancy 52.03%

I currently have a P-II 266mhz processor. I recieved a P-III 500 mhz processor from a buddy. Can I use this on my Existing board with out frying my computer?

[Edited by kasjr2 on 03-28-2001 at 04:48 PM]

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi i want to change my 1.5 processor to my 3.4ghz pentium 4 processor.How can i do it is it as simple as just taking one out and putting the other one in place.Can anyone please explain what the processors look like so i can swap them and where they are located and how to move them.Also ive got an audigy sound card and what to put it into another computer so i dont have any disks or anything to install so how do i do it.And how do i put a dvd rw drive in to replace the old cd rw please explain all of the above thanks for your help.

Relevancy 51.6%

I have a mobo from an IBM Netvista (actually a USImobo) and need a manual. There is NO help on the USI site. Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Relevancy 51.6%

In the manuel for my mobo the highest processor that it has settings for is a 233 if I buy a 500 mhz Amd K6-3 will the computer recongnize it will I have to put it in manually in the cmos.
Thanks

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi all,

I currently have a ECS PF5 Extreme mobo and I was thinking of replacing it (and upgrading CPU at same time). Bought the ECS board as a necessary 'quick fix' when my old PSU blew and took my motherboard with it !!!

I am currently running :

ECS PF5 Extreme
3.2Ghz P4 (socket 775) CPU
XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Graphics
2Gb DDR2 Ram (2x 1Gb Stick)
WinXP Pro
2x HDD (1x SATA Primary and IDE secondary)

I have heard that it is better to do a completely fresh install of Windows if you change the mobo, is this really necessary / advised ? I don't really want to go through all that if I don't have to.

Any recommends on decent mobo manufacturers? Good compatability with NVidia cards (SLI) is ideal to give me the option in the future.

Any help, tips, info greatly appreciated.

A:Changing Mobo

I have heard that it is better to do a completely fresh install of Windows if you change the mobo, is this really necessary / advised ?Click to expand...

Always.

Amptron and ECS along with a few others are the bottom of the bucket.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-mobo.669895/
Relevancy 51.6%

Alright i wanted to buy a whole new system but a couple of bumps have popped up on the road which have delayed those plans. In the mean time I would want to upgrade my current computer in a way which allows me to eventually upgrade all parts.

I am currently running an Intel Pentium D 3.2 Ghz CPU
My motherboard is ASUS P5GZ-MX Which caps at 2Gb of ddr2 Ram

I want to upgrade my motherboard for now and keep my Cpu would that be possible?

Also I want to upgrade my video card which is currently ATI Radeon HD 4350 (512 MB)
Would my CPU allow the upgrade.

A:Changing Mobo and not the CPU

It would be possible if the motherboard you are purchasing supports your present processor. Motherboard manufacturers will have a supported CPU list for each board, check the board specs before you purchase to make sure your processor is supported.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-mobo-and-not-the-cpu.1010779/