Windows Support Forum

Can i have 2 operating systems partitioned on 1 hard drive?

Q: Can i have 2 operating systems partitioned on 1 hard drive?

I have partitioned my hard disk and i want to install xp on one of em and win98 on the other but only one seems to be a bootable partition the other one @extended [email protected] says its not bootable. Or is there an easier way to achieve my goal

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Can i have 2 operating systems partitioned on 1 hard drive?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 110.94%

WHOOPSIE Did i do it this time. I have an Ibm think pad that runs windows 2000 professional. But My office runs Xp home edition. I took the xp disk i have for my home computer and installed it on my lap top ( all went down hill after that) I ended up partitioning my drive and now am running 2 operating systems on one computer. and cannot figure out how to delete either of them.

On xp i cannot connect to my network but can do my paper work.
On 2000 prof. I cant do my paper work but can connect to my wireless network.

Help I need to get rid of Xp and get back to 2000 prof.

A:Two operating systems and a partitioned drive

Do a search for the file boot.ini and copy (with notepad) results here, then we can delete either one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/two-operating-systems-and-a-partitioned-drive.452046/
Relevancy 90.73%

Hi I installed the Operating Drive on Systems same Hard OEM version of Windows but forgot to reformat the Hard Drive before installing Operating Systems on same Hard Drive What was left on that Hard Disc was on old un-bootable Version of Windows Vista upgrade The problem now is that there are two operating systems on the one Hard Drive the Vista that wasn t working and now the Windows on top of it Now my TB hard drive is showing as almost full which is impossible as I m only using the Windows with minimal programs on it Question Is there a way to delete the Vista O S which is just taking up space and not working anyway It is also not showing as a second partition either Remember the Windows I have is an OEM full version and the Vista was an upgraded version upgraded from XP that I never took off before I installed Operating Systems on same Hard Drive Windows Is there anything I can do without having to start all over from scratch Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 90.73%

Hi

I am currently using Windows NT but need Windows 98 (or newer) to install some software.

Can I run both programs off the same hard drive?

If yes, is it as simple as getting a Windows 98 CD ROM and installing it using add programs?

Thanks

Relevancy 89.01%

I do alot of Systems one How drive Operating to install hard Multiple on downloading and trying out different software My antivirus has recently expired and now my computer is acting weird slow and i have alot of unwanted stuff on my computer So I reformatted my entire harddrive and installed a fresh copy XP What I would like to do is install two operating systems on How to install Multiple Operating Systems on one hard drive one hard Reason why is How to install Multiple Operating Systems on one hard drive because I don't wanna spend bucks for another antivirus Anyhoo My plan is to have two operating systems one for downloading music videos movies installing not so credible software expendable and one for personal use primarilly for school work banking and purchasing online This way when the expendable operating system craps out i can just delete and reinstall a fresh copy without affecting the other OS So to sum it up how do i install multiple copies of xp on one harddrive i tried reading up on it something about partitions but i'm still not sure how to do this

A:How to install Multiple Operating Systems on one hard drive

Windows, what ever version, MUST I repeat MUST always be the 1st OS on the 1st Partition.( Reason, if you load any other OS windows will take over the MBR and you won't see the other OS). If you want two versions of Windows i.e. W2k and XP, then the oldest version must be installed 1st.
If you install Windows then Linux , Linux will offer to partition the drive,( it's usually ok to accept the default setting) and will install a Boot manager.
With two versions of Windows , the last installed version will install the Boot Manager. You will also need to create two Partitions prior to installing the 1st version of Windows.
I have never installed two versions of Xp, so I don't know what will happen although I think you might have probs with the Register.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-install-multiple-operating-systems-on-one-hard-drive-319188.html
Relevancy 87.29%

A few months ago a virus swept over my computer and I ended up having to use Operating Deleting Space? Drive Hard Systems/Saving duplicate a new operating system The same Operating System XP Home but Deleting duplicate Operating Systems/Saving Hard Drive Space? another copy Now when I start up my computer it asks me which operating system I want to use I realize that the second one on the list is my old copy of Windows with all of my from before two months ago Also I just noticed that all of a sudden I only have GB of free space I never had this problem before and now I m having trouble even running Disk Defragment it says it wants free space to run it My questions are How can I delete the old operating system I can t very well get on to it When I select that second Operating System It takes me into safe mode Then when I try to log on it immediately logs out and goes back to the log-in menu Is the duplicate Operating System what is taking up so much space I would say I probably have about GB of programs documents on the old one and GB on the new one Do I have duplicate copies of the same programs MS Office Windows XP etc If you could answer these questions I would be your servant for life Thanks Jonathan nbsp

Relevancy 75.68%

i have a 3 year old Toshiba laptop with a bad hard drive. I've ordered a new hard drive. I have a more current Toshiba laptop with a smashed screen. But the hard drive works. Computer number 1 had a Windows 7 operating system. Computer number 2 is Windows 10. Can I transfer operating system and files and program from computer 2 to computer 1 ? Thanks

Relevancy 75.68%

hello - i ll try and make this simple i have HD with windows installed on it it s having probs i need to format i have another HD that also has winodws installed im going to use that HD my question is im only using HD the other isnt connected its a back up HD i want to connect operating drives 2 hard systems.? 2 them both and transfer the important files over to the back HD up from the HD thats having the problems where should i put all the files from the HD that is having problems so i can see them when i am using the back up HD so i can see the files from the problem HD so i can transfer over the files c the reason i ask is i have alot of stuff on the problem HD that is on the desktop and in my documents folder ect if im not booting up from the Problem HD then i wont be able to see the desktop folders my documents ect right i 2 hard drives 2 operating systems.? hope this isnt confusing thanks nbsp

A:2 hard drives 2 operating systems.?

Make your backup HDD primary master and problem HDD primary slave. Boot your computer. Windows will take care of your drive letters, so you should have any problem copying the data.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-hard-drives-2-operating-systems.300602/
Relevancy 75.68%

I am currently running operating systems SE on a FAT fs and XP on NTFS fs on the second hard drive windows se is my c drive - primary xp is on my second hard drive that i ve just recently installed for some reason after reformatting this drive twice i can not get all files to work - for example i cannot access system information help and support etc etc i want to reformat the d drive - the one with windows xp but when i shut down to dos to do this dos is not recognizing the d drive is that because i ve made it NTFS and it s not seeing it from the FAT drive i m so lost my goal is to have both drives with FAT fs so that they are accessible from each other but i cannot seem to be able drives, hard operating 2 2 systems to format the drive with xp which has nothing on it other than the operating system any ideas geeze i re-read this and it doesn t even make sense to me never mind someone else sorry folks any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 75.68%

I have a 32bit single core computer, I want to install two hardrives with different Operational systems. One with XP Pro, and the otherone with Win 7, can it be done, and when opening computer, can I choose which one I want to work on.

A:Different operating systems using two hard drives

It can be done. Do a lot of reading in setting up dual boot systems...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/different-operating-systems-using-two-hard-drives.149450/
Relevancy 74.82%

i have a question (well i was wondering)

i have 2 hard drives in one machine and i have Windows 98 on one and the other with Windows XP.
is it posible to select an OS at start up with the 2 drives??

Relevancy 73.96%

At work I am running xp home but I have another harddrive in the bow which has Win 2k pro with a program on it I use weekly. How can I set the machine up so I can boot from either drive. I have tried everything I can think of but can't figure this out. I placed the drives in cable select mode but only the xp drive shows up in bios setup. When the box boots up I can see the win 200 drive but can't open the program from the xp drive. This program will not work in xp. Long story short is the boss is cheaping out and will not upgrade the program

A:How can I boot from multiple hard drives and operating systems

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1Should do it. I don't use it but it looks like it should be simpler and more windows centric than what I use.There are other boot managers. I use grub to boot Linux and three different versions of windows on the same machine. Grub is a bit complex but is integrated into multiboots that include linux

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/279645/how-can-i-boot-from-multiple-hard-drives-and-operating-systems/
Relevancy 73.96%

Yes it sounds foolish BUT I was able to fix an OS operating system on disk infected by a ransom virus from an OS on the second disk Here's my dilemma because I almost lost some very important data I would like to protect certain data from damage or viruses in the future so - I want to have hard drives with a total of OS's on them First disk would have XP amp Win on it Second disk would have XP Win amp Ubuntu My reasons are I would like to use one XP OS for financial transactions amp nothing else I use nd XP as a backup recovery 5 drives, having 1 systems, operating problems hard computer, 2 for the st XP Then I use st Win for general surfing amp research I use nd Win for backup recovery of st 1 computer, 2 hard drives, 5 operating systems, having problems Win For the rd system I would like to install amp try Ubuntu for a few months 1 computer, 2 hard drives, 5 operating systems, having problems to see if I would like it So far I have installed XP amp Win on one hard disk I have created partitiones on the second hard disk formatted of those partitions amp installed XP on the first partition amp planned on installing WIn on the next partition then Ubuntu on the final partition Now when I boot up the only OS's that appear on the list are the XP systems The Win system doesn't show up as an option to start So at this point I'm not sure how I should proceed from here to have the Win OS to show up as an option to start amp be able to continue installing the next Win amp Ubuntu systems Any help would be great Also I wasn't quite sure which forum this entry would best be suited to

A:1 computer, 2 hard drives, 5 operating systems, having problems

Well one way to do what you want is to use a boot manager. There are a bunch listed when I Googled with "partition boot manager"

Using one XP OS for financial will not be enough protection. If you were to get a Remote Access Trojan (RAT) for example they would be able to see and access all the drive letters in the computer.There are ways around that but I went for the simple method in my case.  One method to be secure is use removable drive trays and only have one OS inserted at a time. One OS for financial on its own drive, One Tray for the other OS's. The other way would be to use security software that encrypts the OS drive to be unreadable until you boot it and enter the password, Another possibility would be Virtual Machines holding the OS's.

One nice desktop for everything except for financial use. Then a inexpensive laptop that gets used for online banking, Billpaying, Income tax, Shopping at known good sites such as Amazon, Newegg, Tigerdirect and clothing/shoes. No Email, No surfing the web. Nothing else. I pull it out twice a month Bank, pay bills, Make an order, if needed, Then I shut it down and put it away again.

That is about the best I can think of for my peace of mind.

Good Luck
Roger

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/485707/1-computer-2-hard-drives-5-operating-systems-having-problems/
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this question.

*I want to install an evaluation edition of Windows Server 2003 on my second hard disk and set the partition size to 5gb though it has 200gb. I don't have the serial card yet so that is why I'm just using this drive for educational reasons.

*On my first drive I have Windows ME and want to ensure that remains untouched in this process.

I basically want to be able to start my computer up and choose which OS I want to boot from and train myself to use the Windows Server 2003 OS.

Any suggestions on doing this smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

A:Dual Operating Systems on 2 separate hard disks

Welcome to TechSpot Forums

Doesn't it work if you just install it normally?

The textmode setup should ask you where to install 2003 and/or to create partitions. Depending on your computer it might have some problems with the 200 GB drive, as it is over 137 GB and therefore would require 48-bit addressing support, but if you just create a small partition in the beginning of the drive it shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-operating-systems-on-2-separate-hard-disks.17385/
Relevancy 73.96%

Somehow I have a backup operating one systems drive? two on folder on C drive that contains all of the program files documents drivers Windows everything Then also on C drive I have Program files windows drivers etc everything Essentially I think I have of two operating systems on one drive? the same thing I tried transferring the back up file first to recycle bin then I realized how stupid that was so I tried transferring it to cd didn t work Do you have any idea what I have done and how I can undo it or at least get just one system on my system thanks Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic bit Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R G Express Chipset Controller Microsoft Corporation - WDDM Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Intel Corporation D GCCRG AAD - BTCR ZS Antivirus AVG Internet Security Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 73.96%

While troubleshooting an unrelated problem now solved I temporarily installed a second instance of Windows XP Pro SP on an empty partition of my main hard drive After solving the problem I reformatted the partition with Disk Management Now when I start up my computer I have the option of choosing between booting Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Professional Edition XP Professional Edition refers to my main system the one that I kept and want to install XP Professional refers to the temproary system Operating Drive Systems, One Two now completely gone This wouldn t be much of a problem for me except that it selects the removed one by default It attempts to boot from that partition after seconds unless I manually select the correct one every time I need a way to either remove the incorrect boot option or a way to have it select the correct option by default I ve glanced around the Computer Management Two Operating Systems, One Drive Device Manager etc but haven t seen anything that applies to my problem Thanks in advance help from anybody is greatly appreciated G Smith

A:Two Operating Systems, One Drive

.Prodigy.: Please see the following link for information on changing the boot option by configuring the boot.ini.How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XPFrom the link above...Edit the Boot.ini FileTo view and edit the Boot.ini file:1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.-or-Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.3. Under System Startup, click Edit.Another link with additional info. Additional information and help with the boot.ini.Hope that helps,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/38973/two-operating-systems-one-drive/
Relevancy 73.53%

I'm using Bart PE to recover files on my desktop PC's hard drive after Windows XP stopped booting. I am able to use the A43 file manager to browse and even open the files that I would like to recover, but when I attempt to copy them to an external USB hard drive, I get an error message saying that the source disk or file can't be read.

Any idea why it can't copy the files, or how I can get it to do so?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/bart-pe-wont-read-hard-disk-moved-from-other-operating-systems-329496.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I have myh main PC with WIN7 and has a 2nd HD used for misc storage. I also have a old dell business desktop (no graphics card) with XP I use to play my old games which I enjoy. Is it possible to have my WIN7 on it's existing drive and install XP on the other?

TIA

Gil

A:One Computer Using 2 Different Operating Systems On 2 Different Drive

Yes, however if the old Dell XP is an OEM version (almost all OS supplied with a PC from a PC Vendor is an OEM version), the OEM version is only legally licensed for the PC it was delivered with.

The other issue is whether XP drivers are available for the Win 7 PC. For example the Win 7 audio driver is not compatible with XP (unless it is a multi-OS version that includes XP).

My PC is a Triple Boot, Win 7, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Preview (Insider) version. Each on a separate SSD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/402464-one-computer-using-2-different-operating-systems-2-different-drive.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I searched and searched but didnt find a similar thread as of yet if their is i appologise in advance im a noob first time any forum poster Anyway about months ago got windows ultimate already had xp i think so i installed it on my laptop following the steps installed nicely so i c . operating on 2 drive systems [SOLVED] thought when i started up i realised that [SOLVED] 2 operating systems on c drive . the previous os hadnt been deleted and now my c drive had a third of the space it should have due to it now having two operating systems I couldnt really worry about it right that second because we were leaving for a holiday the following [SOLVED] 2 operating systems on c drive . day long story short i forgot about it and now im running out of space how [SOLVED] 2 operating systems on c drive . do i get rid of the previous operating system without reformatting and losing all my games and new programs Oh i have no idea where that other operating system is it doesnt show up anywhere and i cant even load it up Any help would be greatly appreciated thanx again

A:[SOLVED] 2 operating systems on c drive .

and welcome to the Forum

If you did a "Custom Installation" . . the files from the XP installation will be in a folder on the C drive named windows.old . . once you are sure you have saved the files you cherish, that folder can be deleted

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-2-operating-systems-on-c-drive-622250.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Is it possible to partition a hard drive and install Windows on more than one partition - even if so, which partition does the computer use to boot up then?

There's no way to specify a PARTITION of a hard drive in the BIOS - Boot Sequence. Is there?

A:can operating systems be put on different partitions of the same drive?

Quote:

Originally Posted by haskellbob

Is it possible to partition a hard drive and install Windows on more than one partition - even if so, which partition does the computer use to boot up then?

There's no way to specify a PARTITION of a hard drive in the BIOS - Boot Sequence. Is there?

Hi,

Are you trying to create a 'dual boot'?

If so, then yes you can install the O/S in a separate partition.
When the computer boots up you will be given the choice of which system to boot from....the 'normal' first O/S boot is from the C: Drive.

Having said that, you may encounter problems with the EULA and validation, as Windows? might consider that as the O/S is already installed on one partition; the second 'installation' would be regarded as a "rogue" or "counterfeit" operation.
This would have to be clarified with your local Microsoft? Support Office by telephone.
However, if it is to be a totally different O/S; such as, for example, Windows Me? on C: and say Xp Home on D:...that way there are two different Product Keys in use and Windows? would regard it as a totally separate installation.

Hopefully I haven't complicated the issue too much for you.

Please clarify your intentions, as there may be another explanation as well.

Kind Regards,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/can-operating-systems-be-put-on-different-partitions-of-the-same-drive-159199.html
Relevancy 73.1%

i recently installed windows ultimate as a fresh copy and before that i formatted my c then the new copy was installed to the c while the set up running i got msg telling that old windows installation is detected then the only option i had is move that old files to a folder named as old windows so i chose 2 having in drive operating systems windows7 same that option then after the installation when i start the laptop i had to choose between two operating systems both named as windows i chose the first one and startup having 2 windows7 operating systems in same drive was normal later i chose the second one then system can not be started due to having 2 windows7 operating systems in same drive missing of files i formatted the rest of drives and still found that i am getting that start up screen with two operating systems so i delete the old windows folder which was created during the first installation then also i got the strange startup screen with two win OS's after that i again installed the windows ultimate again formatting c and i'm still getting that startup screen which i has two chose a OS i want to get rid of that strange startup screen please help' thank you i am using dell i laptop gb ram

A:having 2 windows7 operating systems in same drive

Oh dear, thats a bit of a charlie foxtrot.

Perhaps its better to start again? Follow this exactly, and you cannot go wrong:

Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/257396-having-2-windows7-operating-systems-same-drive.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a Sony Vaio VGNFS315Z with Windows XP Home. I am looking to connect a 60gb Hard Drive in a firewire enclosure which currently has the same Windows XP operating system on it. I would like to retain the use of both operating systems to preerve some of the software on the 60gb drive.

Apart from plugging it in to the firewire port what are the steps I need to take so that my Sony Vaio will view it as a separate operating system. This will prevent me having to format it and start again.

Thanks

A:Simple steps to using 2 operating systems on separate hard drives with one computer.

Even if your laptop supports booting from firewire hard drives, Windows doesn't.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/simple-steps-to-using-2-operating-systems-on-separate-hard-drives-with-one-computer.44710/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi A couple of months ago the system drive on one of my old PCs suddenly stopped working - not particularly Operating by Systems by BIOS Recognised Drive not IDE surprising given that it s about years old I swapped it out and left it until I had IDE Drive Recognised by BIOS not by Operating Systems time to try to pull the data off it It s a GB Western IDE Drive Recognised by BIOS not by Operating Systems Digital Caviar WD AB- CDB EIDE drive Now when I connect it to the secondary IDE bus on my PC it does seem to spin up and the BIOS recognises it no problem but neither Windows XP Disk Manager nor Slackware Linux cfdisk do This is not a situation I ve come across before disk recognised by BIOS but not the O S Does anybody know what the problem might be and what I can do to try to resolve it I have been pretty careful with its usage over the years eg not having a paging file which I guess is why it has lasted so long but I don t really need to use it any more - I would just like to pull the data off it if possible without incurring significant expense Edit I forgot to say on bootup SMART reports no problems Thanks very much g nbsp

A:IDE Drive Recognised by BIOS not by Operating Systems

Hey 3g. I've never been in that situation myself, I do believe the BIOS only reads parameters about the drive that it gets from the preprogrammed circuits in the drive, whereas Windows is trying to actually read data off the drive and can't. Is the drive configured correctly for where it's placed with it's jumper pins?. You may want to run a diagnostic test on the drive from the link below

http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?modelno=WD600AB-32CDB0&x=0&y=0

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ide-drive-recognised-by-bios-not-by-operating-systems.198578/
Relevancy 72.67%

I have copied three operating systems (Vista Ultimate, XP Pro SP2 and Linux) to my 750GB external hard drive, in three partitions. How can I run individual OSs from the USB external hard drive?

A:Running Operating Systems from USB External Drive

were they installed or just copied?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/running-operating-systems-from-usb-external-drive-207659.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hiya folks At work systems multiple Install drive single from USB operating we install a lot of different operating systems on computers both for use within the school and for staff members personal computers In order to make things easier we want to be able to create a USB pendrive that contains all of the operating systems we want to use and some form of menu to start the installation of each The problem is I ve not been able to find guides that explain how to do exactly what we want The operating systems that would be going on this are Windows XP Home OEM Windows XP Pro OEM Windows Vista Home Premium OEM -bit Windows Vista Business -bit Windows Vista Ultimate -bit Windows Vista Ultimate -bit Windows Home Premium -bit Windows Professional -bit Windows Professional -bit Windows Ultimate -bit Windows Ultimate -bit Ubuntu -bit Ubuntu -bit We have the CD DVDs for all of these but we don t like wasting consumables by writing multiple CDs and of course they get scratched easily and they fill up a lot of space when Install multiple operating systems from single USB drive they re in those CD wallet things Plus my experience with installing from USB drives has been quite positive and seemed to go much faster than installing from CDs and DVDs Now there are a lot there but we have drives big enough I know that I could use WAIK if I was only going to put Vista and but as far as I am aware I can t use that with XP and I wouldn t even think that there was a remote chance of installing Ubuntu that way Does anyone know of any way to do this or anyone who has done something similar in the past I know it s a little complex and I wouldn t be surprised if nobody had asked about something like this before but any Install multiple operating systems from single USB drive help is greatly appreciated Kind regards Joel Note I don t think this is the right section but I couldn t decide where to put it gt lt nbsp

A:Install multiple operating systems from single USB drive

You could use the Automated Installation Kit for Vista and W7 and the good old-fashioned unattended installation of XP across the network. Saves time, consumables and shoe leather.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/install-multiple-operating-systems-from-single-usb-drive.874754/
Relevancy 71.81%

hi, I'm not good at computers. and my Chinese lady have this message on her pc.

Your CD/DVD drive during this boot cycle is f:
A RAMDISK drive is available for this boot cycle as C:
It contains several HArd Drive setup tools. Please use these tools carefully under the direction of Dell Support Staff.
before it ends up this way the pc had already upgraded to win 10. and went into : AN operating systems wasn't found in black screen. please help us. thank you very much in advance. God Bless All.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/69076fd5-465a-44eb-a987-02f01071a741/operating-systems-wasnt-found-which-drive-to-choose?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello Recently bought a new Laptop D External files Change Partitioned Hard to back up from Drive Drive? and went through all the setting up process one of which was Change back up files from D Partitioned Drive to External Hard Drive? Windows back up At the time I just went for the partitioned drive option but after a week I've decided to buy an external Hard drive for my back ups instead My questions are Can I easily change the destination of the back up files Do I just delete everything on Drive D once I'm backing up to an external Hard Drive or will Windows give me this option when I change to external Hard Drive The Back up is done on a schedule so how do I get on when the date passes Will it ask me to plug my external Hard Drive in the next time I boot up Finally I'd like to back up our Desktop too running on Vista Can I just partition the external Hard Drive and keep our laptop and Desktop backed up on the same hard drive Cheers Matthew

A:Change back up files from D Partitioned Drive to External Hard Drive?

Hi Matthew -

You don't need to partition the HD to keep your different backups on it.

The WindowsImageBackup file needs to be named only that and in the root of the external to reimage from the booted DVD or Repair CD, however you can click on it to see which PC it is for.

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
Backup User and System Files

I don't like the way Win7 file backup works so I drag the active User folder from each computer here to external once per month, then update the backup image every few months. You may decide to go Manual after trying the automated backup, since you'll need to move the external to catch the backup anyway.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/131476-change-back-up-files-d-partitioned-drive-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi everyone, I recently bought a computer from a friend, at the time, it was running Windows ME but since then I have updated it to XP Professional. My problem is that since I have had the computer it has always listed in Explore a C, D, and E drive. Physically of course there is only one hard drive in my machine, but is there anyway in which I can bring them altogether so that they just make a bigger C drive?

Cheers for any help you can give

Relevancy 71.38%

I'm running on Windows XP. A recent crash left me with several functions missing so I decided to reload Windows from a recovery disk. This has worked except that I seem to have partitioned my hard drive. I have a drive C with 10gb free out of 147gb which is fine for me, and a J drive with 10kb free out of 10.7Gb. The computer wants to use drive J and is ignoring C, hence I'm getting constant "Critically Low Disk Space" error messages. I rather feel I might have to reload Windows again but can anyone tell me what I did wrong last time? Or is there a way of merging both drives?

Thanks again for your help.

Apothecary

A:Partitioned Hard Drive

System manufacturer and model?

When using a recovery/restore disk to reinstall Windows...the instructions, explanation, etc. for how that all works...are determined by the system manufacturer.

Some such disks also utilize an additional partition on the hard drive (which they created during the install of XP) which is necessary in order for the recovery/restore mechanism to function properly.

You would have to consult either your system documentation (owner's manual) or the manufacturer's website...for specifics regarding such.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/261680/partitioned-hard-drive/
Relevancy 71.38%

Why have I got 2 drives Do I need both

A:partitioned hard drive

If you mean from the factory, your "everyday" drive, usually C: is what you're using. The D: retores your computer to the way you received it. Other letters would be for other drives like your optical drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/partitioned-hard-drive-661177.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I AM TRYING TO FORMAT A HARD DRIVE THAT HAS BEEN PARTITONED INTO THREE PARTS?? CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THAT? I'D LIKE TO RE-PARTITION IT AND REFORMAT IT. ITS AN OLD PC IBM APTIVA. ALSO WHEN I TRY TO START THE PC IT KEEPS SAYING NON SYSTEM DISK ERROR, REINSERT DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY. HELP PLEASE!!!!

Relevancy 71.38%

My hard drive is partitioned and I have Windows and Programs on C, and everything else on D.

Is there any particular reason for keeping the Programs on C? Have just done a re-format and have several hours work ahead of me re-installing programs and applications. It would make life lot easier if all I had to contend with on C was Windows.

Thanks !

Relevancy 71.38%

My computer has a 4 Gig hard drive that is partitioned. I keep having to clean out the C part and if I could move some of my programs, etc. to the D side, it would help quite a bit.

I have added a 20 Gig Drive that I use for correspondence and other things, so I have plenty of memory, but do not know what I need to do to organize.

I understand there is some software that will eliminate the partition, or rearrange the drive contents.

Any helpful advise would be appreciated.

Relevancy 71.38%

Trying to install my old hard drive (as a second hard drive) to my new PC (Win.ME)so I can retrieve files. The new PC recognized the old hard drive (named it D)and I was able to access it. My problem is the old hard drive was partitioned. The new PC allows me to see the files in the main partition but not the second partition. It doesn't recognize the second section and thats the section I really want to get to. Any thoughts on how I can access that second section? Thanks

Relevancy 71.38%

My hard drive is partitioned C: and F:. Will a clean install of 7 over XP currently installed on C: mess with my F: drive?? In other words can I save all my stuff to F:??
Thanks

A:Hard drive partitioned

No.. Your F drive will be just fine... nothing will change, your data is safe..

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/30351-hard-drive-partitioned.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Folks
I am a babe in the woods just getting on my feet so please bear with me.
I have swapped out a shot hard drive from my Dell Inspiron 546 for a new 1Tb one. The dell is running a AMD Phenom X4 64. I plan to partition the new hard drive and right now it has the new windows 10 on it . I have found a lot of my programs do not work properly with 10 on the older Dell. I don't know if it's possible but can I partition, keeping the 32 bit Win10 in one and down load a 64 bit copy of Win7 on the new partition,hopping to end up running a Win 10 32 bit on 'C' and a 64 bit Win 7 on the new partition?
Possible?or pipe dream?

Any input will be most welcome and appreciated!

Flypaper 

A:Partitioned 1Tb Hard Drive and 2 OS.

It should be possible to do this.  However I have to admit I haven't set up a dual boot system on one disk since Windows 7 era.  It could be there are some extra complications.  One of which is that Windows 10 seems to create more partitions for itself than older versions of Windows (I have 4).  If Windows 10 is 32bit, then the disk will be in MBR rather than GPT format.  You can check this in Disk Management.  In Disk Management, right click the drive and choose "Properties" and choose the "Volumes" tab.

The implication of MBR format is it limits you to 4 primary partitions (or 3 primary, 1 extended).  It would be helpful if you include a screenshot of your main Disk Management window to show how your drive is currently partitioned.

Another possible issue is that it is usually easier to install the older O/S first (i.e. Windows 7) and create space for the newer one (i.e. Windows 10), then install that second.  This is because Windows traditionally doesn't "play nicely" with O/S's it doesn't recognise, and tends to overwrite the boot loader, potentially leaving your original OS unbootable.  Windows 10 installer will recognise an existing Windows 7 install, but Windows 7 installer won't necessarily recognise a Windows 10 install...

I also wanted to install Windows 7 on my Windows 10 system for various reasons, and for me, the easier solution was to use a separate hard drive for Windows 7.  I disconnected the primary disk and installed Windows 7 to a second hard drive, then reconnected the Win 10 drive once the install was done.  This prevents the Windows 7 installer from interfering with the Windows 10 install in any way..  This means I don't get a boot menu, but fortunately my system has a boot override key (F12) which allows me to select which drive to boot from at startup without having to go into BIOS.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587760/partitioned-1tb-hard-drive-and-2-os/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi,

I have a partitioned hard drive. Windows98 is on C and Windows2000NT on D. I would like to put XP on the C: part. Can I FDISK just the C: portion of my hard drive?

A:Partitioned Hard Drive

Yes you can. Follow this procedure:
Start>>run>> type "cmd">> format C:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive.544621/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi,
I'm currently running linux from a disk after some prolems with my version of windows vista, but I've been wondering; I have a 500GB external USB hard drive, so would I be able to install linux to the laptop's hard drive and use a vista installation disk to install vista to the external drive?
Any help with how I would go about doing this would be appreciated, thanks

P.S. I'm completely oblivious to the inner workings of computers whether it be hardware or software so try to explain as if you're talking to a small child, thanks ^_^

A:Multiple operating systems (install Vista on an external drive?)

Hi-

Well that depends if you have the Windows Vista installation disk. So, do you have the Vista Install disk?

You also could try to clone (copy) vista over to the new drive, but any problems would go along with it.

If you would like, you could partition the internal drive and have Vista and Linux be on the same drive. (you could chose which OS on boot up).

So just let me know what you want to do, then we can go from there.

Regards,

Mark

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/multiple-operating-systems-install-vista-on-an-external-drive-552516.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I have 2 operating systems on my computer which I built myself. I cannot bootup on the xp pro system. It hangs up at the end the black screen. I can bootup on the regular xp system. How can I fix this or is there a way I can transfer all my files from the xp pro to the xp home edition. Is there a way to restore the xp pro from the xp home edition? I have tried several things, nothing works. I have important files on the xp pro. If problem cannot be fixed, how can I transfer everything from xp pro to xp home while in xp home?

A:have 2 operating systems on one drive. cannot bootup past black screen on xp pro

Hi and welcome to TSF please read through here it may give you some suggestions for fixing your issue How to create a multiple-boot system in Windows XP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/have-2-operating-systems-on-one-drive-cannot-bootup-past-black-screen-on-xp-pro-685050.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hello,
I've just had a new 40 gb hard drive installed. Vaio software partitions this automatically as 7 gb for C drive and 31 gb for the D drive. I'm using XP. I would like to know if 1) I can partition it more evenly, or 2) I can install all large programs on the D drive, such as Zone Alarm, Norton Security, Word, etc. and have them work as normal. Also, if I move my photos from C to D drive, how can I change the path on the start menu My Pictures button? Thanks in advance.

A:Partitioned laptop hard drive

you can most certainly re-partition you hard-drive. you will however need third-party software in order to do so. i use a program form Powerquest, called Partition Magic v8. I have a 200Gb hdd and i used it to resize my partitions. I does take some time however, but it also depends on how big the drive is. the way i currently use my 2 partitions are C: programs + windows, D: data, music, program installations, iso files (bassically plain storage). the reason for this is if i have to reload my pc's windows i can just format the c: drive and leave all my important data and intallation files on the d: drive intact.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-laptop-hard-drive.518743/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi, lately I have been experiencing some wierd problems with my computer.

I can't somehow boot into windows 2000 from my Master hard drive.

I think the problem stemmed from me downloading this game program in exe format (I know, my fault for running it).

My computer seemed fine for the first few days, as I never shut down my computer. But when I reboot my computer, one of my partitioned hard drives just seemed to disappear.

Then when I reboot again, the computer logged me into a blue background with white text saying

a corrupt file with Wininet.dlll, that it had a bad image and the checkSum was corrupt.

Can someone help me out? I would be greatly appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive-is-disappearing.587349/
Relevancy 70.52%

I have Windows XP , total physical memory 2,058MB, available physical memory 1.26 gb. My hard drive is partitioned into Drive C, with 20GB capacity, 1.45 GB free space (7% ), and Drive D, with 213 GB capacity and 213 GB free space.

With only 7% free space in Drive C, I am restricted in doing some things such as defragmenting and using some programs. How do I take advantage of all this empty space on Drive D, which is just sitting there, to relieve the pressure on Drive C?

A:Partitioned Hard Drive Question

If you used partition magic do not use it again. I would suggest using gparted it is a Linux based partitioner program and is free and 100 times better than the other ones. You can resize the partitions on both drive with out screwing up the drives but to be safe I would backup all of the important data first. Remember every time you turn your back the computer will give it too you royally so be safe backup first.

GParted - Gnome Partition Editor
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive-question.685440/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi there.
Somewhere along the way my hard drive got partitioned, and it is causing lots of problems with my computer running properly. My C drive only has 3% of its space left, so I can't even defragment the disk. My C drive's total size is 6.53 GB and it has only 256 MB of free space left, while my D drive's total size is 21.4 GB and it has 9.45 GB of free space. I have tried getting rid of programs that I don't need in C, and I don't want to get rid of any more. I have tried moving programs from C to D, but I don't know if I am doing it right, because it just looks like it is copying them over to D instead of moving them there. What should I do to resolve this issue, please help!!!

A:OUT OF SPACE on partitioned Hard Drive!

Hi... welcome to TSG
I have tried moving programs from C to D, but I don't know if I am doing it right, because it just looks like it is copying them over to D instead of moving them thereClick to expand...

If it copies it onto your D drive, then why not simply delete the original from the C: drive?

if you drag and drop to another drive, windows will (by default) copy it there. if you want it to simply move it wthout cpoying it, then use your right-mouse button and use the cut/paste commands. when you use the cut command, it still copies it but it will automatically delete afterwards

by the way... while there is no problem moving files.... in most cases you cannot copy a program over to another drive. you will have to uninstall it and reinstal onto the D: drive

your partitions are a good setup, but your C: drive should only have windows on it, your D: drive should have everything else. when you install any programs from now on make sure that you direct the instal onto the D: drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/out-of-space-on-partitioned-hard-drive.460047/
Relevancy 70.52%

Am looking for opinions on a hard drive issue a hard Question a partitioned drive regarding friend of mine had She has an HP with came with a partitioned drive where the reinstall files are on the D part of the drive She started having a problem with booting up and got into a boot loop and couldn t boot into safe mode at all Than she had nothing when she tried to boot up Took it to a repair shop and they told her the hard drive was dead My question I worked on the computer and was able to boot into the recovery part of the drive reloaded the system onto the C drive and everything so far is fine Ran a scan of the drive which didn t find any problems Now if a drive dies can you boot from a partitioned part of the drive or will the entire drive be dead Am interested in hearing what you have to say about this issue Thanks And so far after being Question regarding a partitioned hard drive up and running for days straight no problems even with loading new programs on the drive nbsp

A:Question regarding a partitioned hard drive

It sounds as though that repair shop should be avoided. Other than that, if the hard drive were dead then no you shouldnt have been able to access the recovery partition either. I would find a way of making an image of the entire drive. Just incase the drive is really bad or going bad. That way you will not lose everything. Then if the drive does die then you would have the image to restore to a new hard drive thus not losing all the HP installed programs, including the OS that came with the system. A good program to use is Acronis True Image. However there is a less expensive possibility. If the drive in question is a Maxtor or a Seagate Drive, you can download free from the Seagate website Maxblast 5. This is in actuallity a lite version of Acronis True Image. It will only work properly if at least one of the drives used is a Seagate or Maxtor drive. Also it can be used to prepare the new drive, Make back up images of the entire drive (or single partitions), and restore the back up images. It can not make incremental back ups.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-regarding-a-partitioned-hard-drive.751024/
Relevancy 70.52%

Prior Post Hard drive maybe partitioned inefficiently http www techsupportforum com secu lp-please html Tetonbob suggested I post here - Please see his comments below The original Hard drive maybe partitioned inefficiently post is above I do not know how to address this issue with the hard drive space and partitioning I have a G internal hardrive but it is using only G G partition --- not sure why it isn't using the full Can someone help me please ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Tetonbob comments Hard drive maybe partitioned inefficiently - Ok in reviewing these logs a couple things stand out and it's not malware PHYSICALDRIVE - ST A - GiB - partitions C is Fixed NTFS - GiB total GiB free D is Fixed NTFS - GiB total GiB free System Drive C has GiB less than free WindowsXP requires GB free space to operate efficiently So in partitioning your hdd into a GB OS partition you've not left enough headroom to operate I can see you've got some Program Files locations on C drive and some on D drive This means you're using space on both drives for applications where in the type of scenario you've been set up with nothing but the OS should be on C drive to leave it room to operate As this doesn't appear to be malware related to me I'd suggest you ask for assistance in reallocating space on your machine in the Windows XP forum This forum is for malware removal assistance Please let them know you've been here what I've offered as an explanation or post a link to this thread in your new one As full as this drive is even D is getting towards being full you may want to consider adding another hdd or an external drive for storage especially if a lot of that volume is in pictures and videos If you require assistance with that ask the folks in our Hardware section

A:Hard drive maybe partitioned inefficiently

You're basically going to need some partition software so that you can decrease the size of your D drive and increase the size of your C drive.

http://www.buy.com/prod/norton-parti.../20361521.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-maybe-partitioned-inefficiently-179809.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I am new to Window being more familiar with the Macintosh hard 98 SE Windows Partitioned drive, I have an IBM Thinkpad with Windows SE and a partitioned hard drive The quot C partition quot is full and the quot D partition quot is barely used This occured since it is rare to partition a hard drive with a Mac and I never suspected it was partitioned until it was almost full Every time I installed a new program it automatically installed to the C partition and Partitioned hard drive, Windows 98 SE I never realized there was a problem till I got an error message that the C partition was full I have unistalled what I am sure of if I move quot My Document quot folder to the D partition will there be any problem with the applications finding it at the new location Also will I get error messages if it is moved to a new location on the D partition I have also thought about merging the drives with Partition Magic but I have never used the program before so I am a little nervous about really messing up the laptop Thanks for any thoughts nbsp

Relevancy 70.52%

Alright so i just got hold of a new laptop Specs -Windows XP -Intel T GHz MHz FSB MB L Advice Hard Need Partitioned My For Drive cache - GB Ram - MB NVIDIA m GS Need Advice For My Partitioned Hard Drive - GB Hard Drive So I hardly know anything about computers and the laptop i have has come with a Hard Drive already partitioned as GB Primary and Remainder Secondary GB Right So I would like some advice concerning how i should set up my computer that would best suit my needs at least concerning my hard drive For now i won t have any quot super important files or whatever quot for the short longish term future I am pretty much going to be using this laptop to learn more about computers since it s the first one i have ever had Need Advice For My Partitioned Hard Drive I will be downloading music videos movies games Need Advice For My Partitioned Hard Drive surfing the internet alot and will hopefully sometime soon start discovering programs and learning finding different uses for my computer meaning at some point start using my computer closer to it s full potential So any Tips or insight you guys can offer me nbsp

Relevancy 70.52%

It was suggested in another windows forum that I place drive hard bit 64 bit a 32 partitioned on version or this at this forum to see what your answer would be They also suggested that I select the bit I have purchased a brand new computer Windows Toshiba Satellite P I am a trainer and still have to train in 32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive Microsoft Office applications and now I want to partition my new computer so that I can run all three versions on it The quick installation 32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive guide says that during the installation I have to quot select one version of operating system if prompted bit or bit quot I am leaning towards selecting bit version but am not sure if this is the correct 32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive choice Can anyone please advise what would be the correct choice Also can anyone point me to an easy instruction on how to partition the drive to enable me to run these three versions of office software Do I need to also install xp operating system with office software and vista os with software Thanks heaps

A:32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive

This question has been asked again under the title "What would you do"?

Please do not respond to this question and only respond to the conversation titled "What would you do"?

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/182056-32-bit-64-bit-version-partitioned-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 70.52%

32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive
I have purchased a brand new computer Windows 7 Toshiba Satellite P750.

I am a trainer and still have to train in Microsoft Office applications 2003, 2007 and now 2010. I want to partition my new computer so that I can run all three versions on it.

The quick installation guide says that during the installation I have to "select one version of operating system if prompted 32 bit or 64 bit". I am leaning towards selecting 32 bit version but am not sure if this is the correct choice.
Can anyone please advise what would be the correct choice?

Also can anyone point me to an easy instruction on how to partition the drive to enable me to run these three versions of office software.

Thanks heaps

A:32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive

Information
We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's app the first day you had your new PC.& made the Startup Repair CD.

IMO, I would go with 64 bit.

For MS Office may/may not have problems with all three installed in one OS.
You may like to post in
Microsoft Office - Windows 7 Forums

Do make your Recovery Disks.
How to use Toshiba Recovery.
How to use the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility

You can order Toshiba Recovery disks from here:
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...rification.jsp

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/182033-32-bit-64-bit-version-partitioned-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 70.52%

My computer at turn on says: disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. I do not know what disk they are talking about but I tried the system recovery disk #1 and it told me the drive is not partitioned and to delete it and do I want to contunue? Please help me I want to use my computer to send my children some pictures we have not see each other for 4 years and I have not seen my grandbaby since she was born, I am using a friends computer to do this so can someone help me? thank you

A:hard drive is not partitioned how do I partition it?

what happens if you continue?

you may have an option to create the partition by using the recovery disk, then formatting and the recovery should start but all data will be lost, you'll have to start out with a new install but no docs or pics.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-is-not-partitioned-how-do-i-partition-it.471236/
Relevancy 70.52%

Background Windows stop laughing - computer crashed last year - when I reinstalled XP-SP hard drive was wiped clean I was told to partition my hard drive Now I m very low on space was told I could just slide drive hard partitioned about Question programs amp files over to the empty partition to Question about partitioned hard drive free up space Tells me I can t because the program file is being accessed Question about partitioned hard drive or used by other users We are not networked but Question about partitioned hard drive everyone in family has their own windows login Responses were to purchase disk management software or add more RAM or hope I have Vista because it s easy I don t know what the point is to the partitioning could someone educate me Also I m too low on space to even scan defrag not sure I d have the space for another program Is there a way to delete the unused parition and have that free space pushed over to the active hard drive Or is my only other option to backup everything on c and reformat nbsp

A:Question about partitioned hard drive

You should be able to use a freeware partitioning tool like Gparted to repartition your drive. See How to boot from a G-Parted-Live-CD(use the instructions to download and build your own Gparted

But be cautious and do your backups first (is always wise)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-partitioned-hard-drive.132672/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi guys,

I need drivers for xp profesional, i have a hp p6205uk that runs win 7 64bit.
i have partitioned my hardrive and have xp running i checked hp website no drivers available.
Can anyone help or provide a link to download them will be most appreciated as im not sure on what to download.
hopefully this will fix graphics sound and screen seems a bit stretched.
thanks people for your time
regards
savy

A:Need drivers for xp on my partitioned hard drive

savy118, welcome to the Seven Forums.

The motherboard has the Intel G41 chipset on it and you can find all the XP drivers for it straight from Intel,

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...27&FamilyId=40

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/130210-need-drivers-xp-my-partitioned-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I am using XP, I have established the logical and primary partitions, will I lose these partitions I have made after reformatting and reinstalling XP? I am concerned because before I installed Service Pack 1, Windows only looked at my first 130 Gigs of the 200 GIG Hard drive After I reinstall, I will have to reinstall Service PAck 1 again, and I worry about that time in between
thanks for your help
Matt

Relevancy 70.52%

I am working on a comp for someone and they have a Pentium 486? with a Maxtor 4 Gig drive. The previous owner partitioned the drive into 2-2gig drives, drive C and drive D. The problem is that drive C is 80% full and drive D is 90% free.

I read the forums on partitioned hard drives and the only answer seems to be repartitioning and formatting. My question is why can't I fdisk to remove the dos logical drive in the extended dos partition, delete the extended dos partition but leave the primary partition active and intact, reboot and come up with a 4 Gig hard drive?

I will appreciate your comments and explanation.

P.S.: For those who know me from previous threads, I flashed my Bios on my old comp and lost it; brought my new one online and it worked maybe 15 minutes and stopped. I bought a new MB and powersupply and running fine, Don

Relevancy 70.52%

i have a slave hard drive i got from a computer that got a new hard drive just put it and the hard drive has is partitioned into two parts how do i go about getting it back into one partition.

A:partitioned slave hard drive

Howdy,

If you don't have any data on it ....you can go to Windows Disk Management and partition and format it.

Go Start then right click on My Computer then Manage and on the left Disk Management and right click on the drive in Question

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-slave-hard-drive.531362/
Relevancy 70.52%

ok, i had an external hard drive plugged in while formatting my POS DELL 5150, and it partially partitioned my hard drive. Screw the data by now, I downloaded it agian. When i plug it in though, I hear the ding, or the ping, or the women moaning with pleasure, whatever sound you like to have set up, but it doesn't appear in "my computer". It shows up in the device manager, but i can't figure out if that's where I can start the hard drive off with a clean slate. WTFSID? How can I format it.

A:partially partitioned hard drive

Try this if you're using windows XP or 2k.
Right click on the "my computer" icon , choose MANAGE option.
New window cames out and in the left panel will see a "DISK MANAGEMENT' entry ( it's under the storage). Once you click on DISK MANAGEMENT in the right panel should see your external hard drive. Right click on it and choose FORMAT option.
All the stuff above applies only if in Device Manager the drive shows up without any exclamation points.
HTH

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partially-partitioned-hard-drive.212750/
Relevancy 70.52%

I have a 10 GB hard drive, operating system is Win 98. When my computer was upgraded, evidently they partitioned the hard drive in 2 GB sectors because it only recognizes 2 GB. How do I access the other sectors?

Relevancy 69.66%

When we set up our system, it was suggested we partition our hard drive. Now our c/ is so full we can't run scan/defrag. I was told I could just move files from the c/ partition to the empty d/ partition. The ones I can get to move are still showing in the c/ (i'm sure I hit "move" not "copy"). Regardless most of the moves get aborted saying it is being used by another person. we are not networked, but each family member has their own log in. Help please...I'm thinking I'm making this way harder than it needs to be.

A:Moving files in partitioned hard drive

No you cannot move them out of the partition... leastways not easily.
But using a disk manager such as Acronis, you can enlarge the partition(s)... or add drives. We bought some 500GB hard drives today for $51... and 750GB for $63...
Have you thought about adding another hard drive to your existing configuration?
Creating a dual boot to two or more different hard drives?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/moving-files-in-partitioned-hard-drive.132572/
Relevancy 69.66%

I am running a Lenovo z50-70 laptop which is running on Windows 10.
It currently has a single partition hard drive ( i.e , it only has Local Drive C: ).
I want to make multiple partitions on it, but I am being told since all the memory has already been alloted to C during setting up of windows , its not possible to re-partition the drives without losing data/ re-installing windows.
My main intention to partition the drive is to install Elementary OS ( Ubuntu ) on it.
Is there an alternative of doing this?

A:Partitioning a single partitioned Hard drive

I just recently split my Windows 7 hard drive into equal partitions so I can install and run Windows 10 independently in it.
Depending on how much computer knowledge you have, the process can be easy or difficult or impossible.
Just make sure you know what you're doing and your personal data is backed up before you take the plunge.
This Microsoft article will get you started.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...n#create-format-hard-disk-partition=windows-7

--------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioning-a-single-partitioned-hard-drive.1158494/
Relevancy 69.66%

Please bear with me while i explain......

I had two hard drives in my pc. 1st was partitioned C and D the 2nd G and H with the 2nd being regularly cloned from the first as a back up of all my work

Last weekend removed the 2nd hard drive and added a 3rd G partition to the 1st drive. Installed Windows7 on the G partition. Everything fine at this point.

Last night i used Easeus Partition Master Home Edition and resized the G partition, effectively reducing the D partition in size to do this.

Reconnected the 2nd hard drive and rebooted today. The D drive in My Computer and disk management is empty. However Easeus shows it has 17GB used. I have reformatted the D partition and copied data from the J drive (2nd drive now shows as H and J) but on rebooting the same problem.

Where do i start......

Thanks

Relevancy 69.66%

A friend helped me set up my computer running XP pro. The harddrive is partitioned into an C: and D: configuration. However, when I try to access the D: drive, a message tells me the drive is not formatted. IT then tells me formatting will erase all data on the drive.

My question is this; if I format D:, will I lose the Data already on the C: portion of the drive? I am trying to figure out if I need to backup everything on my C: drive before I format.

Thanks for any help.

A:Partitioned Hard drive formatting question

No you would not lose any data on C if your formatted D, If you system files are on C then windows would not let you format C anyway, It's a very good ideal to do back ups anyway ,as i have learnt at great cost.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive-formatting-question.321222/
Relevancy 69.66%

I upgraded to Windows XP Home Edition, but I had my hard drive partitioned into two drives. Now windows only recognizes one, the C: portion. How do I recover what was on the D drive? I've tried using Find and searching for files that were on that drive, to no avail.

A:partitioned hard drive into 2 drives, upgraded to xp, now one is gone

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive-into-2-drives-upgraded-to-xp-now-one-is-gone.288554/
Relevancy 69.66%

hey hey. is there any way to get it back? lol. i used partition commander. i have a 120 gig hard drive. it was set at 15 gigs on c drive and 100 on d drive... c was so full and d was like... well... empty. so you just KNOW i had to change it. now c drive is about 40 gigs and so is d drive. the pc uses about 5 gigs for whatever. and the rest??? is somewhere in cyber space.... it is not recognized anywhere.... lol. is there any hope? thanks. you guys are great.

A:partitioned then lost at least 20 or more gigs on the hard drive

I'm guessing that you just didn't use all of the available HD space when you repartitioned.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-then-lost-at-least-20-or-more-gigs-on-the-hard-drive.394451/
Relevancy 69.66%

I have a Sony RS530-G which has a partioned HDD and the C-Drive (OS, etc) portion is full so I can't install MS Updates, Norton Updates etc.
How can I access & purge unwanted files in order to create available space on this drive?

Relevancy 69.66%

Hi I have a Pentium III running windows XP that I recently reformatted the hard drive on and when I did I created 2 partitions (which is new to me). Today I went to add my old hard drive as a slave and it will not recognize it. I'm wondering if it is due to the partitions I made. I can do that configuration right?

Relevancy 69.66%

When my dad and I first built my computer, he mentioned that we should partition my hard drive, which was a terabyte. However, I've used up 550 GB (I'm a gamer) and now I need more room. I'm not sure how to acquire the other 400 GB and I really would like to get it as I record for YouTube and video files take up a lot of room while recording. I would really appreciate the help, thanks.

Relevancy 69.66%

Hi. I recently got a new hard drive and I'm currently trying to install windows 7 from my USB. I initially got the error ''Setup was unable to create a new system partition''. I googled the issue and got to this thread: Setup was unable to create a new system partition. I followed the instructions of harltron in post #6 and partitioned the drive, but when I restarted the computer I got the following error: ''bootmgr is missing'' when my PC tries to install Windows 7 from the USB. I've googled the issue again, but no luck. As you can probably tell, I'm not very tech savvy so if you have any suggestions it would be nice if you could include a quick way to do it

Thanks in advance.

A:Partitioned a new hard drive: Getting bootmgr is missing

Work through these steps for Overcoming Windows 7 Installation Failures - Windows 7 Help Forums

Report back results, as you go if you want as we may see other steps necessary.

Don't forget to unplug all other drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/332949-partitioned-new-hard-drive-getting-bootmgr-missing.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I have a Dell Optiplex 745 with Windows XP. It came with a partitioned drive. The C: drive has 20 gb of space and is 95% full. The D: drive has 212 gb of space and is 2% full. I would like to transfer files from my C: drive to my D: drive, with the goal of leaving operating system files on the C: drive and everything else on the D: drive. How do I (i) determine which files I can or should transfer and which files I cannot or should not transfer (presume beginner's level of familiarity), and (ii) make the transfer? Thank you.

A:Transferring files in partitioned hard drive

Only move user files, like your pictures/word documents. If you need to move software, the headache you could cause isn't worth it. Uninstall the software and install to the other partition. You can move the whole of your my documents, my music, my pictures, etc... Some reference may stop working, but that shouldn't be much of problem. Just create a new folder on D:\ called documents, pictures, etc... and move the files in to those folders.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transferring-files-in-partitioned-hard-drive.883566/
Relevancy 69.66%

An old question that has been asked and answered many times but with a kicker SCENARIO I want to install a Seagate Barracuda ultra ATA V GB RPM hard drive from a Medion MD windows XP machine whose motherboard died into a generic Windows nd Ed machine with two IDE ATA connectors on drive hard Installing partitioned in old computer another the motherboard in order to recover the data THE KICKER the Seagate Barracuda was partitioned into partitions C contained Windows applications and data D contained a backup of all the data I want Installing old partitioned hard drive in another computer to recover and E was used by the Windows recover feature RESULTS I ve installed the Seagate every which way primary slave secondary master secondary slave and even primary master In every case the system recognized the drive as expected and with the exception of the last case which of course Windows XP didn t like only the Installing old partitioned hard drive in another computer quot RECOVER quot partion shows up in quot My Computer quot as DRIVE D QUESTION Is there any way to make either the original C OR D partitions available FACTOID when I do a quot properties quot on both the C existing and D recently installed drives I see that both file systems are FAT I can t be sure but I suspect it was NTFS on the old failed XP system Thank you nbsp

A:Installing old partitioned hard drive in another computer

Win98 won't recognize an NTFS partition without having a NTFS driver installed. I've used NTFS for Win98 from Sysinternals, but when Microsoft bought them they pulled it. However, this site seems to have that program. I haven't tried it myself to confirm it's the same version.

http://www.softlookup.com/display.asp?id=25391

Avira NTFS4DOS Personal might be another option.

HTH

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-old-partitioned-hard-drive-in-another-computer.693130/
Relevancy 68.8%

I just installed a new hard drive (Maxtor) to be used as a new boot drive and partioned it into 2 parts. I still have my old hard drive as the slave. I installed all of the contents of my original drive into the new drive. I can see the part of the new drive with all of my files, DRV_Vol1 (C. However, I cannot seem to access the other half of the hard drive.

I went into computer management and storage. I can see the half with my files, but the other part is listed as unallocated and does not show up under 'My Computer".

How can I make this part of my hard drive accessable?

od2b

A:Partitioned Hard drive - can only see part of drive

Create an extended partition in the unallocated space.
Then create a logical drive in the new partition and format with ntfs.
Once finished you should be able to use the partition.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive-can-only-see-part-of-drive.515767/
Relevancy 68.8%

I have been having problems on my Windows XP for almost a cannot Windows disk partitioned) my other XP (hard read drive is week It started when I opened my computer nearly a week ago Windows XP was so slow I also notice that it cannot detetc my drive D As you can see my hard disk is partition into two Windows XP cannot read my other drive (hard disk is partitioned) Windows XP is installed on drive C I put some of my files on drive D They are both GB each My hard disk is GB When I double-click it it displays that it drive D is not yet formatted and Windows XP will ask if I want to format it I never remove or tamper its partition I tried using quot repair quot in the Windows XP Installation Menu when I tried booting the Windows XP CD The problem still wasn t fixed I also boot a windows CD so that I can boot into DOS However when I use DOS to access my drive D It works fine It seems that only Windows XP cannot read my drive D Windows XP also runs so slow Furthermore when I tried using the quot Safe Mode with Command Prompt quot option when starting windows to access drive D it states CRC quot Cyclic Redundancy something quot What can I do to solve this problem nbsp

Relevancy 68.8%

I am hoping someone can guide me through a process. I had my hard drive partitioned (recommended by many people to me). However...since I have had this done... iTunes no longer works. At all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. Tried moving my music files to partition "C" where iTunes was being directed and it said Unable to run this program. NOW a lot of the music I have on my computer is in the iTunes format and I cannot use it in Windows Media Player. Anyone have an answer for me as to what I can do about this??

Thanks!

Relevancy 68.8%

Hello Everyone help advice needed please I have a HP laptop that had TB c drive i from Drive Hard Data been thats Recover Faulty partitioned partitioned it into two further drives Drive E and Drive F both had been assigned a drive letter weeks ago my laptops hard drive became faulty and i sent it off to repair with Knowhow I asked my data to be recovered before they put in a new one So what they did was only save what was on my C drive which was hardly anything and NOTHING of my other two important drives Recover Data from Faulty Hard Drive thats been partitioned E F was saved at all I phoned them up and spoke to the IT section and they said they will send the faulty hard drive back and for me to return it back to them via the store with an external hard drive so it can be recovered so what i want to know is can the data be recovrerd as EVERYTHING was saved on those two drives I have been told various things One said it cant be recovered because the main C drive was partitioned and someone else said it can be i do regular backups but since begining of this year i have not been able to as i was hospitalised in ICU and everything i did before that i didnt manage to backup and now i fear all that has been lost can anyone reassure me that it will be recovwred

A:Recover Data from Faulty Hard Drive thats been partitioned

As long as the 3 partitions where not over-written by "Knowhow" the data should all be intact and readable to the extent that the drive is readable..

when you get your old HDD back - purchase a HDD to USB external adapter - and you should be able to access the data..
to copy it over to another HDD > that is what they are going to do..

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/65909-recover-data-faulty-hard-drive-thats-been-partitioned.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi I m kinda new to upgrading computers and the likes and I Can't + Lost Partitioned drive: hard Boot Windows tried to re-partition my hard drive so that I d be able to put Windows Partitioned hard drive: Lost Windows + Can't Boot in its own place and have the rest free to fill up with data and perhaps install Ubuntu on its own partition too Unfortunately I made the mistake of partitioning the whole drive and ended up with a completely empty hard drive meaning no OS At this point I assumed Partitioned hard drive: Lost Windows + Can't Boot that I d be able to boot up from my DVD drive with my Windows XP disc and go on from there to install W on the smaller partition and then wipe XP from the data partition I was wrong When I try to boot up from the DVD drive all I get is the message NVIDIA Boot Agent Copyright C - NVIDIA Corporation Copyright C - Intel Corporation PXE-E Media test failure check cable PXE-M Partitioned hard drive: Lost Windows + Can't Boot F Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent quot Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot Click to expand Any help I m running an Intel Core Duo processor nbsp

Relevancy 68.8%

i have a partitioned hard drive of which contains C: and D:

D: is the one i am having problems with. all it contains is 'my documents and settings' but there is nothing in them (with the exception of the stuff windows wont let me delete)

when i right click on the drive in my computer it says 24GB has been used when i know for a fact that only 568MB has been used!

I have tries error check, virus scanning with ESET anti-virus, CCleaner and there are no hidden files or folders

my question is how can i either: move my documents and setting to the C: drive (like it should be) and then be able to delete the D: partition

or do something to the D: partition that will get my space back that i so desperately need!

please help me!
thanks

A:Partitioned hard drive is giving the wrong info

(1)i'm running xp and the the headings in 'My Computer' are 'total Size' and 'Free Space'. What does yours show?
(2)when you defragment 'D' what is in the report regards to volume information

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/partitioned-hard-drive-is-giving-the-wrong-info-266925.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Okay it basically looks like this:
http://i.imgur.com/d9osdwX.jpg

I've had this trouble for a while with the part of the hard drive and it's starting to really bother me only having 60gbs of space on my hard drive.

If anyone has a clue what I could do to fix this please respond.

Relevancy 68.8%

Not exactly sure how to explain or even exactly what im looking for but basically I had an older laptop running windows home premium that allowed me from the boot menu to re install windows amp home premium w o key or anything It was placed on a partition of re OS installation Hard Partitioned from image Create for only drive my Create OS image only for re installation from Partitioned Hard drive hard drive I would like to do this again but im not sure what exactly im looking for or how to search for it in shorter terms It was an MSI Intel duel core laptop I would like to put it on my toshiba quad core Im familiar with partitioning software and image restoration but not sure what exactly i should be looking for to do this Just a clean Reinstallation of my OS without needing keys i dont care to back up any information except my os which is a clean install Update Toshiba has this HDD recovery but i am not sure if this is what i need want MSI had a MSI recovery which did what i want Is this the same similar

A:Create OS image only for re installation from Partitioned Hard drive

Post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management for the laptop in question.

The old laptop presumably had a "recovery' partition, which allows restoration to factory specifications---not to be confused with a clean install of Windows. As far as I know, the use of a recovery partition does not require the user to enter a Product Key.

If the laptop in question does not have such a partition and you do not have burned or purchased recovery disks, you may be forced to do a true clean install. You can easily download and burn a clean installation disc.

Why is your Product Key not available?

You can of course make an image of any current installation and later restore it, but I assume you are looking for some other method? An image restoration from an image file is not a clean installation either.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/241550-create-os-image-only-re-installation-partitioned-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I would like to install 74 bit wins 7 on the factory hard drive that was partitioned with 32bit vista and recovery. Is it possible to partition existing hard drive in to 3 sections and install 64 bit wins 7?

A:loading 64 bit wins 7 on a partitioned hard drive with 32 bit vista

Yup,google has many videos on it, so i'd suggest checking out those.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/301097-loading-64-bit-wins-7-partitioned-hard-drive-32-bit-vista.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I have an external hard drive but I do NOT want to talk about that as I only want to focus on the storage space inside my computer My computer is now years old It has always had what I believe is a partitioned hard drive with the names Acer C and Data D Each disc appears to about Solved: Hard Curiousity Question drive my Partitioned have GB of storage space although I believe that my computer only has a TOTAL of Solved: Curiousity Question about my Partitioned Hard drive GB of storage My Acer C is getting full so LAST YEAR I transferred a lot of stuff from the Acer C drive to the Data D drive However my Acer C drive did not show Solved: Curiousity Question about my Partitioned Hard drive an increase in it s storage capacity even though my Data D drive showed that it s storage capacity Solved: Curiousity Question about my Partitioned Hard drive was dropping relevant to the amount of stuff I moved over to it I left things like that for a while but after a month with no change or increase in the Acer C storage capacity I moved everything back to Acer C My question is why doesn t my Acer C drive show that it s storage capacity increases when I move things off of it and transfer them to the Data D drive Thanks for any responses I may get Kal nbsp

Relevancy 68.8%

My old computer (Windows XP OS) was surged but I was able to retrieve my hard drive. I purchased a case for it and am able to connect to my new computer and read everything. I am unable to completely reformat though. I get a message that says it cannot reformat because there is some program running that the hard drive is using. I have shut everything down and still it will not reformat. I'm also wondering how to remove the partition? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 68.8%

i have an Acer aspire 5630 laptop, running windows xp media edtion. It has a 110 GB hard drive which Acer partitioned in 3 parts. The first one im not concerned about its almost 5 GB and called PQ service (EISA configuration. the other 2 are just over 53 GB one has my xp the other was formatted to NTFS, I found I could delete the partition and then from command from extend the main partition typing diskpart, list volume, select the volume i want to extend by typing select volume 1 or whatever then type extend with the amount or if i leave it blank it should extend the partition to the full drive. but when i type extend I get the following message. Diskpart failed to extend the volume. please make sure the volume is valid for extending. And i desperately need the extra space.

Relevancy 67.94%

HI Ladies and Gents,

I have had this issue with the WD Internal HD and it seems its on its way out. I have taken some screen shots below to help you see the problem, but it is basically saying 'Directory Corrupted or unreadable'.

I have A LOT of information (personal/ work) on there that I really would like to keep - is that even possible?

Please please help a brother out here

c: is the main PC HD and the 2 others (D: & E: are both WD Internal HD)

This is the error I get on trying to access d:

Disk Management shows it there, but no error?

A:WD Internal Hard Drive (Partitioned) showing 'Directory Corrupted'

Have you tried checking the wiring to that HDD? Perhaps something is loose, maybe the wire is damaged, does it make any weird sounds like grinding, clicking, whirring or something that doesn't sound right?

Before giving up always check to make sure that it's not something else that is causing the problem such as wiring

It is being detected so at least there's that, it may be salvageable enough for you to get your stuff off it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/337906-wd-internal-hard-drive-partitioned-showing-directory-corrupted.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I'm currently acquiring windows 7 (6956).
I have 3 hard drives (500Gb, 500Gb, 160Gb), i want to install windows 7 on one of my 500gb hard drives but i still want to have the choice of using xp on startup. Anyone know how to do this?
(i want xp to only use the other 2 drives.)

A:2 Operating Systems (Moved from Other Operating Systems)

Welcome to TSF!!!

Hi,

I am going to move your thread to the Windows XP forum. The folks over there will have a better idea how to set you system up and the like.

Hope everything goes well for you.
Cheers!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/2-operating-systems-moved-from-other-operating-systems-327917.html
Relevancy 66.65%

hi. i have 2 hard drives. and and windows xp home one each one of them. how do i uninstall one of them without causing problems with the other operating system.

A:How do i Uninstall one operating system with multiple operating systems

could format one drive from another...take all data needed from one to another

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-uninstall-one-operating-system-with-multiple-operating-systems.189177/
Relevancy 63.64%

My husband reinstalled windows xp pro. on my desktop so now on start up i have to choose the one that i want to open for my computer to work right but now my computer is running really slow and the internet keeps freezing up how can i go in and delet the unwanted operating system?

A:two xp pro systems on my hard drive how do i delet one

Re-run the Windows XP disk, and when you get to the screen that shows the different partitions on the drive, delete the unwanted partitions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/two-xp-pro-systems-on-my-hard-drive-how-do-i-delet-one.1050968/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hey,

My current pc is packed in so going to replace it but my question is, is it a big issue switching my old hard drive into the new system with windows 7 on it. I can save a lot by not having to pay for windows again as they give that option but I just wanted to know how it goes really.

When I say old the drive is actually a new one I got a few months back.

Thanks guys.

A:Switching hard drive and install between systems

Hey there Mats Effect

Not sure about overseas, but here in the US we have OEM and Retail versions of MS licensing for consumers.

OEM is what most folks end up with - You will see the sticker on the computer case, it has the Windows Key on it, and if you try and peel the sticker off it will *void the warranty*. OEM is licensed to stay with the 'computer' the sticker is on till the computer dies. Then the license is dead too. OEM is Non Transfereable in the USA. I imagine it's the same everywhere, but you should check.

Retail - That is a full price full working version of Windows that can go *Anywhere* and is good till the version is "End Of Life".

Upgrade - the grey area...

Which version do you have?

Moving the hard drive to a new system - Well, I don't have the answer to this - It used to be impossible, but I have heard that some particular software can do it.

With the many different drivers that are tied into the massive registry, I would be *very* skeptical that this can be pulled off reliably. I would assume a re-install would be the only way to tackle this job.

Unless someone comes along and tells us about new software you should really start planning on a reinstall.

HTH...

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/117759-switching-hard-drive-install-between-systems.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Trying it clone and switch my 500GB drive with another 500GB drive with Aomei Data Backuper.  When finished and switched in my computer, I get a no system error when booting.

I used the clone option and it finished successfully.  All the original files appear to be there.

A:Systems error with cloned hard drive.

I used the clone option and it finished successfully.  All the original files appear to be there.

Does this mean that the is no problem now?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573997/systems-error-with-cloned-hard-drive/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have a hard drive and 2 different systems. I want to know if any damage can happen to the HDD if I use it on the other system just once.

A:Can switching a hard drive between systems cause damage?

It won't "damage" the hard drive, but it may not "work" as you expect.

What's on this hard drive? Windows? Just personal data like pictures or mp3s?

What are you trying to do?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/388651-can-switching-hard-drive-between-systems-cause-damage.html
Relevancy 61.92%

will any brand hard drive work on dell desktop systems??
i have been told they don't??
wanted to ask be fore i tried it.

A:will any brand hard drive work on dell desktop systems

Hm im not sure, i own a dell and i'm pretty sure you can use any type of drive so long as your computer supports it. Such as, dont get a sata drive if you dont have sata connectors. I'm pretty sure any IDE drive would work with a Dell. However Dells tend to be on the cheaper side and dont always have expansion bays for a second (or third) hard drive . Open your case or look at your manual to make sure you have room for expansion before buying one. If you don't, simply buy an external one that connects VIA usb. Because I think firewire doesnt come standard on most dells.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-any-brand-hard-drive-work-on-dell-desktop-systems.51443/
Relevancy 61.92%

I built my own computer keeping the CD-ROM drive cd-rw drive and hard drive I had to reformat my old hard drive to get it to work I hard Transferring all portion files from drive portion another one of partitioned to installed XP Pro and partitioned it into two parts one GBs the other GB Windows installed on the GB portion and the GB portion is empty I would like to transfer all the files from the GB portion to the GB portion but every time I try it says I cannot because the system files are in use I would also like to transfer all Transferring all files from one portion to another portion of partitioned hard drive files from a hard drive in a really old computer that I am giving to a relative so I don t lose all those files the old old hard drive is gb and runs windows I would like to transfer the entire drive including all system and personal files so I have two OSs on the new computer to the GB portion of the newer hard drive System specs on new computer VA- motherboard Semperon CPU ddr pc ram specs on old computer mhz Celeron mb upgraded to mb pc hp manufacturer GB samsung hard drive bought in Specs on old old computer mhz PII I think MB ram packard bell manufacturer GB fujitsu hard drive bought in both hard drives are IDE nbsp

A:Transferring all files from one portion to another portion of partitioned hard drive

If you have not loaded a lot of programs yet ,
I suggest the easiest way is reload the xp to the 2nd partition
that will get you dual boot.
as you add programs ghost them to the 2nd OS
the copying of the other drive is little simpler
get seagate harddrive utility connect up the 2nd drive as slave
copy to the drive letter of your 2nd partition
no OS is running on 2nd drive you should be OK
ps watch out on startup XP may not like the file struction of this drive get ready to abort chkdsk ,you don't want this to run
as the other drive is probubly DOS file system

Please read!!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/transferring-all-files-from-one-portion-to-another-portion-of-partitioned-hard-drive.26461/
Relevancy 59.77%

i hear strange writing noises coming probably from the hard drive. it is about every 5 seconds and mostly when pc is not being used. the blue led that is blinking when the hard drive is operating, is blinking then. when i use the pc, usually the scanning of the hard drive stops.

A:frequent operating of hard drive

Any number of causes, from AV/malware, software reading/writing, or the Windows Indexing service.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/frequent-operating-of-hard-drive.1018157/