Windows Support Forum

One more question, (about changing processors)

Q: One more question, (about changing processors)

I knew there was something else I wanted to ask I was looking through a booklet that came with m HP computer which has nothing to do with the ones I ve been trying to learn on and fix up and it tells all about changing the hard drive and A and CD ROM drives etc in the HP BRIO Adding RAM etc It tells how to change the processor if it needs this It question, more processors) One (about changing seems so easy Just take out and plug in mainly Now I m wondering if I could switch processors and if this would be something beneficial to do in some cases Like I have several non-working with some parts used from pcs that have Pentium processor I ve One more question, (about changing processors) yet to get one that s above the first The hp I now have has a Celaron The one I was just working on and got going that my daughter is using didn t have any Pentium kind It had AMD or something Just for future reference and saying I can even find One more question, (about changing processors) the actual processor in the pc could I One more question, (about changing processors) take out the Pentium one and put it in one that has another brand or older one Or I suppose BUY a Pentium or processor Or would it have to match the power supply or something I don t know much about them just from seeing pc ads and seeing little stickers on the pc case but would it make one work better and faster to have a Pentium or higher number one Just wondering Carrie nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: One more question, (about changing processors)

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 61.06%

My current system has an ASUS A8AE-LE MOTHERBOARD socket 939 and according to my spec sheet it supports an AMD ATHLON 64 X2 it currently has a AMD ATHLON 64 3700+ @2.2 GHZ. What i want to know is do i have to change or clear my BIOS or CMOS after I install the 64 X2 processor before I turn my computer back on. Or if you have any info on any other steps i must take before turning it on.

THANX
DMH2005

A:changing processors

i would say replace the cpu and reboot the bios post will let you know if something is funky, but on bootup i would get into the bios and verify that has the updated cpu, i would also go to the asus site and see what latest bios update offers you....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-processors.676238/
Relevancy 61.06%

I need to put in a faster processor on an HP Pavilion machine.
I just needed the steps to take to make sure I get the right kind.
What specs do I need to be aware of?

A:Changing Processors

durant125 said:

I need to put in a faster processor on an HP Pavilion machine.
I just needed the steps to take to make sure I get the right kind.
What specs do I need to be aware of?Click to expand...

well based on your sig, an XP2400+ is a socket A cpu, your ram is PC2700 so we know your mobo can take 333fsb probably 400 but you would have to know your pc spec, look in the manual or d/l it from hp site. I'm thinking you can go up to a XP3200+ barton but thats a guess at this point

you can also d/l Everest home to run this would give you a bunch of additional info, mobo model no would be nice

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-processors.408900/
Relevancy 61.06%

I'm about to get computer but i'm wondering if its possible to upgrade the processor that it has. I don't know that much about adding new things to computers so if someone could help it'd be great.

A:Changing Processors

Without knowing anything about the computer, that's impossible to answer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-processors.611397/
Relevancy 61.06%

How much of a problem (hardware and program wise) would it be for me to change out my processor from the Athlon 1200 I have to something a little closer up to date? My motherboard will support up to an 2.5gig processor I believe.

Relevancy 59.77%

Hi Everyone I just finished reading a post on processors and it showed me how to check to see how many processors I have running Start gt run gt msconfig gt Boot tab gt Advance options gt In the upper left corner it shows I have one selected I can click on the Number of processors box open the drop down menu and select Intel an on i3 of the processors number Changing up to four My processor stats gigahertz Intel Core i DX kilobyte Changing the number of processors on an Intel i3 primary memory cache -bit ready Multi-core total Hyper-threaded total Other stats are listed in my System Specs Some benchmarks I can share are Cold start Changing the number of processors on an Intel i3 to desktop ready minute secs Warm restart to desktop ready minute secs Shutdown secs American Megatrends Bios - - CPU temp C - F System temp C F CPU fan speed rpm No system fan Smart fan enabled CPU Voltages CPU Core V V V V V Fluctuates from to V VSB V VBAT V Not absolutely sure but I think the values are the settings and the figure to the right is the reading This is Changing the number of processors on an Intel i3 our first multi-core processor and being new at this I would rather ask questions first My DW always asks me if I have read the instructions first For now I am not looking to Overclock though that may come later but I paid for multi-core and I would like to use it My questions are What is the best way to experiment with this setting go up one at a time and observe the reaction Watch the temps right Since I only have two am I committed to setting the advance tab number to two or will the hyper-threading allow four Can my experimenting cause any damage The most obvious tip-off that something is wrong would be that the machine won't boot can you foresee any others If that would happen how would I get the machine to boot Can you suggest any in-depth links on processors and how they operate Can you think of anything I may have overlooked Until I return I will be doing a google search on the title of my post Among other things Thank You for reading and any help you may have to offer Anak

A:Changing the number of processors on an Intel i3

That is the setting for the number of processors used during boot, as in when you see the fancy windows animation. Once the computer is up and running you have four (technically two with hyper threading) running. Usually only one is used during boot-up. Only difference you'd see is a faster boot time.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/101155-changing-number-processors-intel-i3.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi all.
I read somewhere that in order to improve the boot speed you need to go into MSCONFIG->Boot->Advanced Options...-> Tick the number of processors and select the correct number (2 or 4).

It didn't improve anything so I went back the unchecked the Number of processors, I then rebooted the computer and now I got blue screen and the installation disk isn't helping.

Any ideas how to fix it?

A:BSOD after changing number of processors

Quote: Originally Posted by Gil

Hi all.
I read somewhere that in order to improve the boot speed you need to go into MSCONFIG->Boot->Advanced Options...-> Tick the number of processors and select the correct number (2 or 4).

It didn't improve anything so I went back the unchecked the Number of processors, I then rebooted the computer and now I got blue screen and the installation disk isn't helping.

Any ideas how to fix it?

We actually need the DMP files that were created when your computer crashed. use these instructions to find and upload them. http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-loc...d-problem.html

Thanks

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/84575-bsod-after-changing-number-processors.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello,I recently acquired a z600 with a quad core Intel Xeon E550 and I would like to know if it is possible/desirable to put my old z400 two quad core Intel Xeon W3550.I checked and both use socket b type soo I'd assume I should have a problem but as hardware is outside of my knowledge base I wanted to ask =)Thank you in advance

A:Changing my z600 processor to my z400 processors - CPU upgra...

Hi, The z600 series of workstations support Intel Xeon Processor X5570 QC 2.93 GHz, 95W, 8M cache, 6.40GT/s QPI, DDR3 1333 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor X5560 QC 2.80 GHz, 95W, 8M cache, 6.40GT/s QPI, DDR3 1333 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor X5550 QC 2.66 GHz, 95W, 8M cache, 6.40GT/s QPI, DDR3 1333 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor E5540 QC 2.53 GHz, 80W, 8M cache, 5.86GT/s QPI, DDR3 1066 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor E5530 QC 2.40 GHz, 80W, 8M cache, 5.86GT/s QPI, DDR3 1066 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor E5520 QC 2.26 GHz, 80W, 8M cache, 5.86GT/s QPI, DDR3 1066 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor E5506 QC 2.13 GHz, 80W, 4M cache, 4.80GT/s QPI, DDR3 800 MHzIntel Xeon Processor E5504 QC 2.00 GHz, 80W, 4M cache, 4.80GT/s QPI, DDR3 800 MHzLooks like they support CPU's with 80W to 95W. The Intel Xeon W3550 has TDP 130W .     http://ark.intel.com/products/39720/Intel-Xeon-Processor-W3550-8M-Cache-3_06-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI I don't think this is going to work. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Changing-my-z600-processor-to-my-z400-processors-CPU-upgrade/td-p/5854559
Relevancy 54.61%

I haven't read anything about this topic so i am assuming that it hasn't happened, but if you have a 900MHZ processor and a 900MHZ cordless phone or a 2.4GHZ processor and a 2.4GHZ phone couldn't they possibly interfere with each other?

Relevancy 54.61%

Im rethinking an intel i7 core for my next computer.
Ive been reading a lot lately on intel vs AMD, and it is really anyone's battle (from what i've read).
Apparently going with AMD would be cheaper? (from what I've read)
Im basically in between the AMD Phenom II X4 955 and the Intel i7 920.
So, which one would be better for gaming? What is the best core from AMD right now? Which should i go with for gaming?

Thanks

A:Processors Question.

Go with the Intel core i7!

They currently have the fastest cpu architecture made....

Just don't skimp with your cpu fan... (they like to be warm)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors-question.837431/
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a G50-80 with a dual core i3 proccessor and i was just wondering if i could get a quad core processor into my computer or if that wont work. just kind of a random question but if any one knows please share.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/i-have-a-question-about-processors-on-my-G50-80/td-p/3383283
Relevancy 54.61%

A friend is going to buy a new computer. He doesn't do anything major with it...just normal home pc stuff. He's deciding between two and is wondering about the proccessors. One has a Pentium IV 1.6 gig and one has a Celeron 1 gig. Any comments on pros and cons? The one with the Celeron is cheaper...he's wondering if it's a solid proccessor. thanks!

A:question about processors.

"Just normal home stuff" can be quite difefrent from one person to another.

If he's just doing word processing / spreadsheet / e-mail / web browsing, the celeron will suit him fine.

If he's into more demanding applications such as editing home videos / serious gaming / photo editing, he might consider going to the Pentium IV

Anyway, if money is a factor, have a look at the AMD Athlons. They are cheaper than Intel for similar performance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-processors.60697/
Relevancy 53.75%

OK, so I finally have a dual proecssor rig (Pentium 166's, 160MB RAM, ahahhha, I love it ). Anyway, my question is, how do I know that XP is detecting both CPU's? At the boot screen, it says 2 processors detected, but when I go to the Windows control panel, it only says 166mhz, nothing about 2 processors. I'm running WinXP Pro, not Home, but I need to know if it's going to detect both CPU's, or if I should install Win2k on it....thanks!

Relevancy 53.75%

I am working on a motherboard (AU31) that has a Pentium 4 AMD 2600 processor. I suspect that the processor is dead. I have a AMD Duron 1ghz processer. Will it fit onto this motherboard so I can try it to rule out a bad processor ?
Thanks !

Relevancy 53.75%

Ok so I have been looking into getting a new PC and I have seen price differences between processors that just does not make sense to me because I am still used to the old 3.2 Pentium 4 days and any number that is higher than the previous was obviously better like a 3.2 is obviously better than a 2.8. But where as dual core is I see things such as.. And ill just copy and paste this.. 6MB,3.0 GHz, 1333FSB is not as good as 12MB,2.66GHz, 1333FSB . I see the difference is the 6MB as opposed to the 12MB but can someone explain to me what the signifigance of that is? How does having a 2.66ghz with the same front side bus as ta 3.0 and 12mb have over a 6mb with a higher ghz? Im not quite understand that. I appreciate help.

Relevancy 53.75%

Hello, I have a quick question...

Do processors effect game performance or just load times?

Thanks.

A:A quick question about processors

Yes they do affect game performance. Bigtime.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-quick-question-about-processors.259337/
Relevancy 53.75%

Im seriously considering purchasing a a new hp dv8000t notebook. I dont necessarily do alot on my computer other than type a few memos and surf the net. I would be watching videos and burning DVDs. My question is how would an Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor T2500 (2.0 GHz) be for this computer. I dont know jack about processors. Every review I have read the reviews on this laptop all have the AMD Turion processor but I dont see that listed as an option anymore. Can someone please help me understand this?

A:have a question bout processors before I buy

good review here....... http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3010&review=dv8000t+Review

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/have-a-question-bout-processors-before-i-buy.492815/
Relevancy 53.75%

First of all, can someone direct me or tell me what amd is and all and how it differs from intel. It seems a lot of people like it, I am good with computers and have no idea why it is created, as an alternative to intel, I just started to notice it about a year ago. Ok, I am shopping for parts for a pc, I'm going to attempt to build my own, a few things have me stumped, one this amd thing; what are the numbers behind it in a description? For example, I was looking on tigerdirect.com and was wondering what they were, like I'm pretty sure the higher the number, the better, just as in intel, but is this true? Just help me, refer me to some site that explains it in plain english for me.
Thanx in advance

A:Easy question about AMD Processors

Think of it as Ford vs General Motors?

Why do we have it? Its competition.

A different architecture of CPU that still runs the same code.

The "numbers" are meant to be the "equivalent" clock speed to the Intel chips.
As the chip architecure is different, you cannot compare the raw clock speed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/easy-question-about-amd-processors.375043/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi All When I was in school - years ago I took a class on hardware We discussed how the basic architecture of a computer is something like CPU fsb AGP NORTHBRIDGE CHIP RAM PCI bus I know they were phasing out the northbridge Multi-core on Question Processors but I assume something similar replaced it So my question is how does it work with multiple cores Something like CORE CORE ON CHIP CONTROLER NORTHBRIDGE OR CORE CORE AGP lt -NB - gt ram AGP lt -NB - gt ram It just seems to me that there is a huge penalty in case cause as you add more cores while Question on Multi-core Processors you have more processing power each core will spend an increasing ammount of time waiting for the FSB to be free I Question on Multi-core Processors guess the other question I have has to do with scheduling On a thread level do OS s treat multiple processors as resource By which I mean if you were running a program with thread only would the OS be able to run another program s thread in the other processor Or would it remain idle Hope my questions are clear nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-on-multi-core-processors.659481/
Relevancy 53.32%

Currently I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor which uses the LGA 775 socket. I am thinking about upgrading to something in the future... but will any 775 socket processer be compatable or are there other factors to consider? I apologize if this question has been asked before. Thanks

A:Solved: Question about socket 775 processors...

It is up to the PC or motherboard manufacturer what 775 processors are compatible, sometimes they have bios updates to accommodate newer processors.

Make and model of PC?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-question-about-socket-775-processors.915170/
Relevancy 53.32%

How does thermal design power apply to multi-core processors?

Intel's QX6800 has a TDP of 130W, according to Intel's website. That processor is quad-core; so does that mean that the combined TDP of all the cores is 130W, or does each core have a TDP of 130W?

AMD's Athlon 64 FX-74 has a TDP of 125W, according to the AMD website. So do both cores combined have a TDP of 125W, or each core?

Also, is the TDP the same as the wattage used by the processor?

Thanks in advance.

A:Question about TDP on multi-core processors

TDP tells you how much heat the cooling system has to remove from the CPU, so yes, it means all the cores combined.

Yes, present-day electronics convert virtually all the electrical power to heat, so TDP would be roughly the same as the power consumption of the CPU.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-tdp-on-multi-core-processors.78702/
Relevancy 53.32%

I just got a new computer for Christmas and have a few questions The computer I have is an HP Pavilion a n I didn t particularly want a factory made computer and certainly didn t want an HP but hey you can t look a gift horse in the mouth right I m not very familiar with Dual Core processors and don t know exactly what I have I know that I have an Intel Core Duo CPU Ghz w Mhz FSB What I want to know is does this mean that I have Ghz CPUs Ghz CPUs or am I misunderstanding this completely PS I also apparently have an nVidia GeForce GS Video card The computer box says that Core Processors Question Dual concerning I have MB dedicated memory on it dxdiag Question concerning Dual Core Processors says I have MB memory on it and a program at gamespot com scanned my computer and said that I only have MB Memory on it Which do I believe and what does this Question concerning Dual Core Processors mean Thanks to whoever can answer these questions nbsp

Relevancy 52.03%

I usually use OpenOffice.org Writer as my word processor on my Ubuntu Linux system. About 2 mos ago, I learned about a third party grammar checking plug-in called "After the Deadline." It seems to work with Writer just fine.

While typing a document today, I typed a sentence like this:

The package should be mailed to the address below.Click to expand...

After the Deadline flagged "should be" as a "passive voice". So, I entered the same sentence in MS Word 2007, which I run on my work computer, and it didn't flag anything in the sentence.

Why didn't MS Word flag any grammatical issues with the sentence above?

Thanks!

Peace...

A:Solved: Question about grammar checking in word processors

I'm using Word 2003 but wanted to test it so I entered the same phrase and it didn't flag anything.....that is until I changed the setting under Tools - Options - Spelling & Grammar from Grammar only to Grammar and Style and then clicked on Recheck Document and it flagged "should be mailed" as a "Passive Voice (Consider Revising)". I thought that might be the reason your Word didn't catch it either.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-question-about-grammar-checking-in-word-processors.990258/
Relevancy 50.74%

We are using Supermicro Server which is installed with 4 processor of AMD (AMD Opetron 6000 Series) the server is having four processor sockets, please do clarify that windows 7 64 bit version will support 4 physical processor installed on the server or
not, or is there any patch which we can apply to the OS so that it can take all the 4 physical  processors.
What are the hardware limitations of Windows 7 64 bit ?

Regards
Bijoy

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fe6882f2-72fb-41d1-ab68-9bb2d04dab1a/windows-7-64-bit-compatibility-with-4-physcial-processors-amd-processors?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 49.02%

I was aghast for reinstallations of Windows 8 because of reasons unknown which ran operating system into trouble.
Now I know why this happened, because I selected maximum number of processors shown in 'Msconfig', which really doesn't exists ('Msconfig' showed 4 processors for Intel Core i3210).
From next start Windows 8 ran into trouble and within a day or two of using this desktop stopped responding, happened for all operating systems where I selected maximum number of processors shown in 'Msconfig'.
Therefore do not select maximum number of processors from 'Msconfig'.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f688905a-dbaa-4975-8659-d86c20a21dea/selecting-processors-in-msconfig-to-maximum-which-really-doesnt-exists-i-use-intel-core-i3210?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 49.02%

Why the strangeqe question?

you see I have a Dell XPS 15z laptop with a core i7 processor, 8 Giga RAM running Windows 7 Premium and I also have an HP desktop with a core two duo processor, 3 Gigs of ram running Windows 7 Professional but surprizingly the desktop runs faster than the laptop when I give them both tthe same task on Photoshop CS6 ( a processor heavy application). I feel that I have been cheated into buying the Dell laptop which at the time of purchase was expensive in the is country.

A:Are there any new processors that are faster than Core I7 processors

Does it use 100% cpu for a long time? (so cpu is the bottleneck)
Is it a multithreaded application, so are tasks split in many subtasks and use different cores?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/363860-there-any-new-processors-faster-than-core-i7-processors.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Im working on building a server and I need an AMD processor in it. Right now, im looking at AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX for $322. The purpose of this server is just a place that 4 computers can access. Its not going to be set up as a server, but just Windows XP without a monitor. Im running an intel pentium 4 on the computer holding the network right now, and it is doing fine. Sometimes its just a little slow. So, I would like a little better than a Pentium 4, but AMD. Also, less then $322. What can I get?

Thanks,
e39m5

Relevancy 43.86%

I have older PC s The oldest with a Pentium-S has a new HD gig The newer one a HD Changing question Compaq Deskpro with a Pentium has a crashed HD Here iswhat I would like to know if I can do- take the Changing HD question HD out of the Pentioum-S and put it in the Compaq Do I have to reformat or will everything I have on the HD stay there and Plug-N-Pray detect this and do it s thing without a major disaster I have a very large database on the older PC that I don t want to lose and copying it would be a REAL pain I do have installation disks so if anything went whacky I could reinstall Windows w SE upgrade I just want to avoid that and if it s wiser to just go purchase a new HD for the Compaq and leave the dinosaur alone I will if that is the advice given Thanks in advance Vicki nbsp

A:Changing HD question

If you want to keep the data on the working hard drive I would just go out and buy a new drive for the PC with the defunct hard drive, install windoze and then put the other drive in as a second hard drive. All the data will be there without the possibility of losing it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-hd-question.102226/
Relevancy 43.86%

hi im just gonna ask if i change my amd athlon xp 2000+ from a asus nforce 2 ultra 400 e deluxe motherboard to something like a barton 2800+ do i have to change something so my motherboard will realize i changed the cpu or the motherboard itself will do it automatically, if i have to do something i will appreciate it if u can tell me what to do.thank u for anyone who can help me.
system specs
amd athlon xp 2000+
asus a7n8x-e-deluxe nforce 2 ultra 400
40 gig samsung hdd
512 mb crucial pc2700 ddr ram
350 watt tigerpro psu
fic radeon 9800 pro

A:changing cpu question?

The asus a7n8x-e-deluxe m/b should autodetect, but check that the cpu freq multiplier is set to auto.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-cpu-question.263268/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi all, I would like to know among all these 3 processors, which one will perform faster and better if I would like to use it for playing games or watching movies?

Pentium 4 1.6 ghz
Athlon 701 mhz
AMD Duron 1.1 ghz

Thanks for the reply.

A:Solved: Solved: Question regarding processors

They are older. Are they the only ones at your disposal? Or are you building a new system? If you’re planning on playing games and watching movies you need more then what you posted. I suggest an Intel 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 at minimum.

But that’s just me…

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-solved-question-regarding-processors.521594/
Relevancy 43.43%

Iam a newbie, I need some help for this trouble: after changing the icon for MS word file and then I opened it, there was an icon on the taskbar with old format.How can I make to change it to the new icon

A:question about the icon changing

By default the Installer folder is hidden so make sure you can "see" hidden folders before you start .

Go to this folder. C:/Windows/Installer/Long number ending with -000000FF1CE

Inside you will find Wordicon.exe. Open Wordicon.exe with Resource Hacker (scroll down the page to the pink box) or any other resource viewing software. Change the icon in icongroup #200 (it's the first icongroup in the list) for the icon you want to have. SAVE the modified .exe file, it will automatically create you an un-modified back-up file.
Open Word and you should see your new icon in the toolbar. In this case, a Washing Machine !!

P.S. You can just see the edge of the "original" Wordicon.exe to the left of the "Washing Machine" one!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/95875-question-about-icon-changing.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello all,

Once again I have come to the BEST place to ask a question. Here it is:

2 weeks ago my sisters computer got hacked into, So know she wants to change her IP address. Not her private IP. Her IP from which the internet see;s her. That along with other things of course. Does she have to call her ISP and get it changed ? That cost $ I am sure. Is there a program that can mask this or do this for her ?

She is into a cable modem... No router

Anyone ?

Relevancy 43.43%

Hi, I have an ATI Radeon 9200 with a primary hookup to my monitor and a secondary hookup to my TV. The icons on the TV are too small but I can't seem to figure out a way to change the DPI for the tv without the monitor also changing. Is there any way to do this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-changing-dpi-with-two-monitors.19404/
Relevancy 43.43%

Okay, the laptop I have did not come with a Windows Vista reinstall disk and nothing on my computer is working. The internet says that it is connected but I can't surf the web because it comes up with a message saying "failed to connect". I have searched the internet on my desktop for help and none of the suggestions worked.

My question is, can I get 7 on my desktop (which the internet works on for some odd reason), save it to a hard drive and then install it on my laptop?

I need an answer asap! I wanted to ask before I spent the money on it.

Thanks in advance,
Leslie

A:Question about changing to Windows 7?

Yes, but I'm not sure of a particular download source that would be better than another, except the one that I used, which was the MS store. You will need to burn it to either a flash drive or DVD to boot the laptop from for the installation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/47433-question-about-changing-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 43%

This tutorial here: Icons - Change Using Resource Hacker[2]=Appearance%20Personalize

The tutorial does not mention if the images need to be in a certain size, do the images I replace need to be in 256x256 and also have the smaller ones to?

Thanks

A:Question about this tutorial, (Changing Icons)

Vista/7 icons can be 256x256 .png or a Windows XP .ico which i think is 32x32 or 48x48 as standard.

Make sure the images are square (e.g. 48x48 and I think a multiple of 16)

XP icons

Vista/7

Try using a photoshop plugin for ico and png icons. (That is of course if you have photoshop.)

ICO plugin

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/205788-question-about-tutorial-changing-icons.html
Relevancy 43%

Hi

I've been looking at different internet providers, im currently on 2mb and that has been fine but I thought I would change since ive been with AOL for YEARS!

I checked Broadband.co.uk and they said Be Broadband was best for my area and I would get up to 6MB for my area but im a bit confused with the different packages -

one has a 12 month contract package for up to 8MB and the other up to 24mb, no contract and 1 static IP......

I know there is no point in the second one but what does it mean 1 static IP??
JJ

A:Changing internet provider question

At the risk of sounding like I'm ducking your question, I would suggest that you direct these questions to the sales person at the ISP. I suggest this because I suspect that you are going to find that there are other questions that you will want answers to.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/209783/changing-internet-provider-question/
Relevancy 43%

Hello TSG,
Question.... I friends father has a lab with 5 pc's and a server. Server is Win2K... It have given him many problems. What I will be doing is changing the domain back to workgroup and pulling the server off (Think he is taking it home). No need for a domain in you only have 5 PC's. He agree's. My question is. What whill happen to the user accounts on the PC's ? Each pc has about 2 to 5 user accounts on them . Thanks for you time

Relevancy 43%

In Xp Pro I was able to turn the navigation pane in the desktop folders without effecting the way windows explorer looks. In Win7 home 32bit, any changes made to the desktop folders also effects windows explorer. Is there some kind of a switch that will keep the desktop folders changes from effecting windows explorer?

Steve

A:a question about changing the way a desktop folder looks

I'm afraid any changes to the navigation pane affects all explorer windows as well. A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/265936-question-about-changing-way-desktop-folder-looks.html
Relevancy 43%

Ok Currently my Windows 7 is on the C drive, now my question is this: Is there a way I can say put in a SSD, then copy my entire windows and the Programs Files, Program Files x86 and the users folder to it, then switch my old HDD to the D drive and the SSD to the C and have it work just fine?

Is there an easy way to do this? or will it require me to reinstall windows to do it? Been thinking about getting a 120 GB ssd for my os/program drive, and using my 1.5 tb drive as storage.

A:A Question about SSD's Changing HDD Drive letter etc.

Any imaging program should be able to do it. Macrium Reflect seems to be a popular one, and it's free. There are guides on how to use it in the Tutorials section here.

That being said, with some planning ahead, a clean install can take under 2 hours (complete with apps), and I have always preferred that method to ensure my SSD was set up and aligned properly. When Windows 7's installer detects an SSD on an AHCI controller, the OS configures itself properly for the drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/238365-question-about-ssds-changing-hdd-drive-letter-etc.html
Relevancy 43%

I have a 200 gb hard drive which is partitioned into two right now, and am thinking about changing from windows xp to windows 2000. I was wondering if doing so will change/alter/delete files that i have in the second partition.

thanks in advance

A:Question about partitioning and changing from wxp to w2000

Welcome to TechSpot

As long as you don't touch that partition during re-install, your data will be fine.
Why dont you resize the XP partition down to maybe 10-20GB, then use the freed-up space to insert a new partition and install W2K in there? W2k only needs about 1GB, but make it 10GB for good measure.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-partitioning-and-changing-from-wxp-to-w2000.17941/
Relevancy 43%

I downloaded some great Christmas music. I've done this in the past and the CDs played great in my CD player. Well this last download/burning went well until I went to play the CD on the CD Player. Guess what - no music. Then I put the CD in the computer and it played perfectly. I looked at each song (file) and it says MP3 format. I can't understand how it would download/burn in that format.

Fortunately I saved the downloads on my computer. How can I easily change the file format from MP3 to audio? I'm really surprised this happened and can't figure out how it happened.

Thank you.

Cheryl

Relevancy 43%

My computer came with McAfee virus scan and when I went to their site and tried to upgrade every time I start my computer it says 2 files are missing so it won't work..I have Norton System works on a disc that we bought and I believe that includes a virus scan>> Can I remove the McAffe and install the Norton System Works? I am very new at computers so I get nervous..Thanks so much..

Relevancy 43%

I have a Desktop that I would like to get more out of as I really don t want to have to buy a new pc right now I have GB RAM to be exact other than that the PC is stock Compaq Presario SR NX Desktop PC Base processor Sempron P SR1710NX changing Compaq cpu question GHz MT s mega transfers second Socket I have no experience at all Compaq SR1710NX changing cpu question in changing a cpu but I have read that the AMD Athlon X Dual-Core GHz Socket has been used by Compaq SR1710NX changing cpu question other people Compaq SR1710NX changing cpu question to upgrade their PC to a dual core cpu I would like the expertise of you here to let me know if it would be alright for me to purchase a AMD X Socket and swap it with the cpu I have now If it were switched how much of a benefit would I get or would i just be better off to get another pc I dont play alot of video games on my pc but I would like to play Left Dead and maybe Left Dead when that comes out but that isnt the biggest reasons for me to make this pc faster I would like your opinions and helpful links if possible in what I can do to make this pc last longer thank you nbsp

A:Compaq SR1710NX changing cpu question

bump for an answer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compaq-sr1710nx-changing-cpu-question.136274/
Relevancy 42.57%

The last time I installed PS CS2, I accidentally made ImageReady my opening program of .png files.

Is there any way to switch back to the default without having to re-install/repair?

A:Quick question on changing opening programs

Folder options >> file types >> find png >>> and change it.

You can even add/change right click (open with) options here ..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/quick-question-on-changing-opening-programs.542353/
Relevancy 42.14%

I use a flash drive to install certain things on multiple computers. What do I put in the shortcut info so that it automaticly will default to whatever drive letter that flash drive has at the moment?

I would have googled but I couldnt figure out how to word it.

A:Simple shortcut question, changing drive letter?

To the best of my knowledge when you plug in your flash drive it will default to the next drive letter that particular system has available.
I know of no way to make the flash drive to install on different system with the same drive letter all the time.

Hang in there we have a lot of members and maybe someone will be able to help.
I will be watching to learn if their is a way to do such things.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/351637-simple-shortcut-question-changing-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Is it possible to back up one's programs and settings then restore them after formatting and reinstalling Windows 7 on a new set of hardware?

A:Question about backing up settings to restore when changing hardware.

I don't think you can do a clean install and then restore programs and settings.
For new hardware I have always done a clean OS install, reinstall all programs, adjust settings to my preference.

If you're interested in transferring your current OS to new hardware, here are a couple of tutorials by Kari and Kaktussoft you can take a look at:

Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer
Make Windows 7 bootable after motherboard swap

You can also post questions in these tutorials if you're interested.

I store user data on a different partition than the [C] OS + programs partition, so i can "transfer" user data to a new OS/hardware.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/368926-question-about-backing-up-settings-restore-when-changing-hardware.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I have the feeling this question has been made a thousand times before, so I'll make it short and simple:

Open this screenshot up: Screenshot by Lightshot

Is it safe for me to delete the original Windows Startup.wav file and then proceed to replace it with the new file I made on the desktop (with the same name)? Will it damage my computer in any way? My bets are that that's a way to change it, according to what I saw on a thread about this on another forum

So, can I do it?

A:Changing that startup sound! (simple, short question!)

Hello acelegacy,

If you like, the tutorial below can help show you how to change the startup sound.

Startup Sound - Change in Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/387418-changing-startup-sound-simple-short-question.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi all,

I am going to be retiring two RAID 1 HDD's and replacing them with a single SSD and I'm a bit fuzzy on the steps involved. I have all my data saved externally so I'll be doing a clean install of Windows 7 Pro x64. I have set it to non-RAID in the RAID menu but I'm not sure when I should change the BIOS to AHCI. Do I do that while I still have the HDD's plugged in or during the initial set-up of the SSD?

A:Changing from RAID to single drive, question about install

Unplug the HD's, plug in the SSD, boot up and tap the F2 to enter BIOS Setup. Reset BIOS to defaults, set SATA controller to AHCI, set SSD to boot first.

Then reboot tapping the F12 key to boot the latest official Win7 installer with SP1, follow the same steps as for a Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 to get and keep a perfect install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/292178-changing-raid-single-drive-question-about-install.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi everyone. I have a problem and I'll be thankful to anyone who'll offer a solution, if there's one.
So: I'm a user of Windows 8.1. Since I'm a Hebrew speaker, most of my programs' upper menu lines are written from right to left. The problem is the three basic window commands (close, enlarge, minimize) are displayed on the left side of the window, and that really disrupts the fluidity operating the system. Is there any way to change it and set
right-appearing window-commands as default? tried fiddling with preferences myself but couldn't find such an option.

Thank you again for your time and effort.

Amit Nagari.

A:Hi all.Question: Changing layout of basic window-commands.

No, not in Windows - not without a 3rd-party program. Don't know of any off-hand for your problem. It is strange that it interferes with the writing... or is it just your preference?

Sorry I couldn't be more help

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/60552-hi-all-question-changing-layout-basic-window-commands.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I was reading in the tutorials about changing default location of files and folders and not sure if I understand it correctly. I would like to take my Windows 7 Library and move it from my C: drive to my HDD which is D: C: is my SSD 80gb that has my windows 7 on it and D: drive is a 500gb HDD that I use for storage. I use iTunes and the music and movies take up way to much space on the C: drive. In the past I have tried installing iTunes on D: but all music and video's went to those folders on C: If I can relocate the Libraries, my space problem would be helped greatly.

A:Question regarding changing default location of Music and video files

Hello Jack,

Yep, you have it confused just a bit.

You would not be able to move a library since a library is just a collection of folders.

If you like, you could include a folder (new folder if needed) that's located where you want to save the files at in a library. Afterwards, set that folder as the default save location of the library. This way anything you save into the library will get saved to the folder by default.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/316902-question-regarding-changing-default-location-music-video-files.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Please help me understand this,

I have a videoediting software that I am runing on 32 bit win7 with 4 Gb RAM, the company that makes the software suggests to set the Virtual Memory/PageFile Size to double the RAM amount.

I looked and mine is set to auto, I have many drives and all say none and are grayed out under paging file size for each drive.

Which drive should I double the paging file ? the drive the software is installed on ? what about all my other drives, once I take it off auto they will not be managed. Should I set them all to double the RAM and if so how will it affect my system?

Thanks in advance I know I asked a lot of questions I hope all are answered....

A:Question about Changing Virtual Memory/PageFile Size in Windows 7

Just leave it as is. Windows will take care of all the messy details for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/206445-question-about-changing-virtual-memory-pagefile-size-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi all I have done a decent amount of Java but VB is slightly confusing to me I want to be able to write a loop which will copy data transpose it and then paste it It needs to do this several hundred times with each copied data-set being on a new row Code Dim Num As Integer For Num To 'start loop 'cut source cells Sheets quot -ANSWERS- - - - quot Select Range quot A C quot Select Selection Cut 'Paste-Copy-PasteSpecial Sheets quot Sheet quot Select Range quot A quot Select ActiveSheet Paste Selection Copy in Solved: Changing a question Reference: VBA/Excel Noob Cell Range quot A quot Select Selection PasteSpecial Paste xlAll Operation xlNone SkipBlanks False Transpose True 'Delete Source Rows Sheets quot -ANSWERS- - - - quot Select Rows quot quot Select Solved: Changing a Cell Reference: Noob question in VBA/Excel Application CutCopyMode False Selection Delete Shift xlUp Next Num ' end loop 'Autofit the data Sheets quot Sheet quot Select Columns quot A AG quot EntireColumn AutoFit nb The reason for the cut-paste-copy-pastespecial is because Excel won t cut and paste-special across different sheets As you can see I m nearly there but currently all it does is paste each new set of data over the existing one in cell A How do I make it increment the destination row by or on each iteration This is incredibly simple but it won t let me just do Code Range quot A quot Num Select which is what I would do in Java Is this just a syntax thing or am I approaching it in the wrong way nbsp

A:Solved: Changing a Cell Reference: Noob question in VBA/Excel

You use Activecell.Offset(r,c).select to move from the current cell. You increment r for rows and c for columns.
Excel has no problems with "Paste Special Transpose" when moving from sheet to sheet. I just recorded this Macro of doing just that -
Selection.Copy
Sheets("Sheet2").Select
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteAll, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:= _
False, Transpose:=True

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-changing-a-cell-reference-noob-question-in-vba-excel.384873/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hello,

I scheduled some tasks in the task scheduler. One of the tasks has a typo and another I would like to change its name. There doesn't seem to be a way of doing this short of resetting up the tasks from scratch and deleting the original tasks. Would anyone know how to rename tasks in the task scheduler without having to go through creating the task from scratch?

A:simple task scheduler question: changing a task name

You can't directly, however there is a way that this can be achieved. In Task Scheduler, highlight the task in question. Click on Export... and choose a location to save the file (Desktop is as good a place as any). Click Save. In Windows Explorer, browse to the location where you saved the file. You can then rename it as normal. Back in Task Scheduler, click on Import Task... and browse to the now renamed file. Click OK. Now highlight the original task (remember that there will now be 2 tasks, one with the original name and one with the new name) and click Delete.

All other task properties, apart from its identification name, can be changed/modified directly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/171193-simple-task-scheduler-question-changing-task-name.html
Relevancy 36.55%

Okay.. here is one of those stupid simple things I never had to do before and can't figure out how to do it.. I know it's basic.. but .. I self taught so my training skipped around a lot.. sorry!

Basically I did a graph for a yearly set of values, not yet filled in.

My boss wants these charts to show percentages through 100% even blank, but it keeps defaulting to 0.something ranges.

For the life of me I cannot remember how to do this and on my search of the site was harry in trying to figure out a decent search range. Any help is most sincerely appreciated. I have a feeling it wil be a smack my head kind of thing.

Thank you!

Relevancy 36.55%

I am considering an upgrade to my desktop which means a new motherboard and processor at least. I don't know anything about AMD processors. Would someone gimme a run down of the worst to best AMD processors. I want to use the computer for some gaming (halo, call of duty....), watching tv, and for music.

A:AMD processors

There are a few things to consider when looking at a gaming processor / motherboard combo. Are you looking to REALLY upgrade meaning dual vid cards, etc., or do you mean occasional gaming with decent game play. The cost difference is huge and the choice of Crossfire (ATI) or SLI (Nvidia) is important. I guess what I'm asking is how far do you want to go?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-processors.582930/
Relevancy 36.55%

I have just been looking on the following web site to see if my PC can run certain games. http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

In the info I am given after it tests my PC, it says I have the following;

You Have: 2 processors running - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
You Have: 2.99 GHz Performance Rated at 4.49 GHz

How do I tell if I have 2 processors running, and can I make full use of them if I have two?

A:How many processors do I have?

Look inside your case. If you don't see two CPU cooling systems, you have one physical processor. You propably have one dual-core processor, and you're propably taking full advantage of the both cores.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-many-processors-do-i-have.740874/
Relevancy 36.55%

Hey every one,

I heard from some one that he heard or read some where that usually in the techonolgy world processor speeds double every 18 months. He said that they well double to a 7ghz processor! He didn't know when they will double the speed he was just passing on the information to me. You know how powerful a processor like that would be like? You could pretty much run any program and game maxed out. (with other high-end hardware.)

Well, I've been looking into get a 3.0 ghz or higher processor and as we all know when some thing bigger and better comes out the ones down below get there prices lowered.

Does any one know any thing on this? What are your thoughts on it?

Bigk

Relevancy 36.55%

Hi all
Recently i spotted that one of my processors is parking... and i don't know how to make it run... i have follow the steps in msconfig by changing number of Processors... but the computer still slow as normal, and task manager still show only 1 CPU running... so if anyone can help me, please let me know...
Thank y'all

A:Help about the Processors

Are you running any programs that will use the parked processor, could just be idle, try running some intensive software then check
If not sure you could always run prime95 on it which will stress test the cpu but don't leave alone while doing it as temperatures can rise quickly so be sure to monitor

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/333603-help-about-processors.html
Relevancy 36.55%

what ia the minimal mhz of processor that u would advise to have for the use of b-band internet acsess as ive got a 750mhz processor and ive got b-band which seem to work ok but am i getting the full benifit for my money or not as i still have time to cancell my account if not so plz give me your veiws thankyoufor all the help i get.

Relevancy 36.55%

I have a 1.4GHz TBird and its ment to be 1.4GHz but is more 1407MHz thats is very good getting extra without even overclocking basically Atlon XP is newer but seems to be crap like 2000 XP is reall 1700+ and 22000XP is lower so why is that why is 2000XP not 2GHz?

Relevancy 36.55%

now pentume is no more i think ...

core2duo may be runnig

the i series is also running ...

what is the meaning of i3 , i5 and i7 ? just numbers ? odd numbers ?

or they mean something ? leave that the higher the number the better the processor ,, but why exactly 3 , 5 and 7 ?

also there is somthing like second generation and 3rd generations

are they sub divisions of i 3 , 5 and 7 ? like i3 is about three generations ?

is it true that in i family , we have multiple processors at the same time ?

finally , from my device manager ... why 4 lines are under processor head cutter ?

Relevancy 36.55%

I'm thinking of putting a 64-bit processor into my computer. Can I run 32-bit applications/OS's on a 64-bit processor without run an emulation program or taking a hit in performance (I heard somewhere that you needed an emulator that hogs resources)? Thanks.

A:64-bit processors

As far as I`m aware, there should be no problem running 32bit apps with a 64bit processor. And as for an emulator I`ve never heard of one being needed.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/64-bit-processors.31411/
Relevancy 36.55%

i have a single core intel pentium 4 3.00 ghz processor. under device properties, it is listed twice, does this mean i have two or is this just a mistake?

(this sounds like a stupid question, but i know not the first thing about computers)

A:2 processors??

It has what is called Hyperthreading, it will show as two processors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

The only stupid question is the one that never gets asked.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-processors.899486/
Relevancy 36.55%

I need a cheap laptop.Looked at two-both HP.One has a N2920 Processor and the other N3530.What is the difference?

A:processors?

Looked at two-both HP.One has a N2920 Processor and the other N3530.What is the difference?Click to expand...

Intel Celeron N2920 1.86 GHz (2.00 GHz burst speed)

Intel Pentium N3530 2.16 GHz (2.58 GHz burst speed)

The bottom one is faster.

-------------------------------------------------------

If you submit their model names and model numbers and part/product(P/N) numbers, we can answer your questions better.

Do both come with the same amount of DDR3 RAM?

-------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.1139342/
Relevancy 36.55%

Howdy,

Does anyone know the reason for the price difference between the
following two AMD 9950's?

HD995ZFAGH BOX RETAIL $179.99

HD995ZFAJ4BGH OEM $289.00

I have been told that the OEM should be the cheaper of the two.

What am I missing?

Thanks Much
Chuck77

A:AMD Processors

Have no idea. How about a link to the site?

Perhaps the OEM includes a motherboard... AMD has recently dropped their prices (again) as their top in Quad parts don't sell as well. AMD's best market area is under $100 CPUs.

Recommendtion: Get the cheaper one

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-processors.750478/
Relevancy 36.55%

DxDiag says that I have a "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs)"

I want to know what this means, do I have two processors? Each at 1.86?

What's going on in there?

Relevancy 36.55%

I have $1000au to spend on a new processor my 2 options are as follows.

Amd athlon 64 4400+ dual core (939)
Amd athlon 64 4000+ (939)

This is strictly for gamming only i already have a $300au motherboard lined up i just need help deciding on a processor.

A:Processors Which one is better!

For gaming the 4000+ would be better as it has a clockspeed of 2.4Ghz (the 4400+ runs at 2.2Ghz). Games are still single-threaded & will not be able to make use of the 2nd core on the 4400+.

That said, if you like to game while having MP3s compressed in the background or DVDShrink running, the 4400+ is the better choice.

Don't you like it when there isn't one clear answer ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processors-which-one-is-better.29669/
Relevancy 36.55%

Hi

As I start my merry journey into the 'brains' of home computing I was wondering if anyone has any information on the different processors and cost, compatability, performance etc etc in 1 document/Website......Basically I wast something that I can refer to quickly and then investigate further once I have the basic info for that particular processor. Many thanks.

A:Processors

it really depends what route you want to take from here, Intel or AMD, this is where your journey begins, i'm not that clued up on AMD, but i know quite a bit about Intel.

Firstly, a history lesson ;-)

I'm going to skip the first lot of processors that were pre-2000,

so, Pentium 4 and Celeron at socket 478, not really anything brilliant about these processors, if you ever come across a celeron, avoid them at all cost, these are described as "family processors", good for general productivity and not much else, Pentium 4 with hyper threading was ok, hyper threading on the p4 was a 1 core processor that simulated multiple cores, seemed to work ok but you could tell the difference when you multitasked.

now, moving onto socket LGA775, this socket introduced the first ever true multi-core processors on the mainstream market, with the core2duo and core2quad processors proving to be very good at almost everything, you could also get core2duo extreme and core2quad extreme processors which were for heavy duty gaming and multitasking(including heavy HD video editing), you can get a 775 socket P4 though, but with HT technology, and also the celeron family making an appearance.

now to the most recent socket LGA1366, this socket is exclusive to multi-core processors, with the likes of i3(2 core), i5(4 core) and i7(6 core) processors, the i7 family also incorporated an extra 2 simulated cores using intels hyper threading technology, which seems to work rather well, making it an 8 core processor, of course intel made the extreme family for i3, i5 and i7.

Now enough of the history, now to the present, it really boils down to what your poison is, Intel or AMD, so choose wisely and someone else could possibly fill you in on AMD's side of things?

MrNeeds

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287061-processors.html
Relevancy 36.55%

I am buying a laptop and have pretty much decided on everything i want however the processor stage Help Processors with is confusing me I have always bought computers in the past based on their GHz my current desktop is GHz and i understand how that compares to others As i was browsing the Dell gaming notebooks Help with Processors the Duo Core processors were only clocked up to about GHz A similarly specced laptop with a Pentium Help with Processors HT GHz processor seemed relatively similar in price Does the duel core processor Help with Processors actually have GHz less power The AMD Turion from Alienware was only Ghz Does this mean it has Ghz less power I want to buy a computer with a processor equivalent or better to my Pentium HT at GHz and i don t care about weight or power I don t paticularly like the laptops i have seen so far with the Pentium chips because i am not getting the mb NVidia i want Help nbsp

A:Help with Processors

GHZ haven't meant much for a while and now they mean Nothing!

The Core Duo is likely better then the P4 3.2, depending on the exact model, but it should be a better choice.

The Turion will be just as good or even better then the Core Duo.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-processors.476043/
Relevancy 36.55%

I have currently an AMD 400mhz processor and an IWILL XA100plus motherboard. Unfortunately the motherboard cannot support processor power higher than 500mhz.

I would like a motherboard that can accommodate 700+ MB Ram. I would like a processor speed of about 1Ghz-1.5Ghz. I also need a heat sink and cooling fan to accomidate the power of the processor.

does anyone have any ideas of where i can buy them as a package

*ALSO*

could someone tell me the difference between a socket 7 processor and a normal one, would I have to get a special motherboard for a non socket 7 processor.

thanks
JA

Relevancy 36.55%

Im lost when it comes to processors. Somebody please define them so I can make a smart choice

Relevancy 36.55%

This is now my 5th computer, that i have built. I have noticed one thing about processors and computers that i cannot stand. See i origionall got an AMD II 600Mhz, that ran really good, i could multi-task, and everything, then about 2 years later that computer barely ran. Then i got an AMD III 900 Mhz, and the same thing happened. ....... Now i got a new AMD 2200+, and it has been great for 2 years, and now it runs teribly, no where near what it ran when i first got it. Is there a time limit for how good processors run? I dont think its possible for a processor to become fatigued, as it is a piece of hardware and not a boilogical beeing. I reformat quite often, maybe once every 6 months or so, and update my bios as needed. Anyway if anyone has any answers, or is aware of anything i shoulkd be doing different let me know.

Relevancy 36.55%

Whats the difference between these 2 processors?
Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2250 (1.73GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5500 (2MB Cache/1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)

Relevancy 36.55%

Hi,

Ive never quite understood all the small things about processors and one thing that ive come across whislt looking at the new intel ones is the 2,3,4,6 and 8 MB at the end.

For example ive seen an i3 processor that was 2.26Ghz 3MB, and a i5 2.40Ghz 4MB.

The one that confused me the most is that i saw an i7 2.6Ghz 3MB and a i7 1.8Ghz 8MB, i thnk the 1.8 was more expensive!

Can someone explain this to me

Thanks

Matt

A:i3, i5 and i7 processors

The "mb" specification next to each of these processors is the amount of on board cache included with the processor.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i3-i5-and-i7-processors.947358/
Relevancy 36.55%

Hello,

I am in the market for a new PC and definitely want one with at least a 1.0 Ghz processor. I am confused however by all of the different types of processors now. I have owned 2 PC and one had a Cyrix processor and the other an AMD. I haven't experienced much difficulty with either of these systems as far as the processors go, but really need some direction is determining what I want now. I believe the best is a Pentium 4, is that true? What is the major difference between the Pentium and Celeron processors too? Any help of references to sites with this information would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

Relevancy 36.55%

I would just like to know which processor get hotter. The AMD 1.33ghz, or the Pentium 4 1.5 ghz, thanx.

Gonna take a wild guess and say the amd runs hotter, the p4's need very good cooling.
But it's just a guess. They don't spec the same so to do a one on one comparision is hard.
Amd says 90 to 95 c for theirs, intel specs theirs at 72C.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.46346/
Relevancy 36.55%

So, I currently have a Sandy Bridge system that I built from scratch and am very happy with it. But before this, my old computer was ancient. (Compaq with an old AMD '64' processor, with DDR memory (not even DDR2) and an AGP slot.)

I don't ever want to get trapped with something that old again, so I would like to plan to regularly upgrade my computer. While I admire AMD for what they are doing, and I do believe it is good for mainstream computers, it doesn't seem best for what I like in the foreseeable future, so I know I want to make plans for Intel processors... But I can't decide whether I want to shoot for the tics or the tocs... or even alternate by skipping both a tic and a toc.

What do you think?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tic-toc-processors.168228/
Relevancy 36.55%

my pc is a 2.2ghz AMD athlon 32000+....which is the equivelent to a 3.3ghz pentium 4...Click to expand...

That is what my mate said that to me on MSN and I was just wondering if thats true or not?

This is my first post but i have been visiting these forums regulary, glad to be a member

A:Processors?

Yeah, the AMD line uses a numbering scheme that roughly equals the Intel counterpart, hence the 3200+ being close to a 3.4GHz P4. It doesn't have that clock in megahertz but because its a good chip, in most games and benchmarks an AMD XP processor will beat a similarly placed P4.

Where the P4 shines is heavy multi-tasking, and when your encoding or doing some other intense number-crunching stuff.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.345353/
Relevancy 36.55%

Could someone explain what processors are for and what is a good one to buy with my new computer?

A:processors

A processor is the "brains" of your computer.
what is a good one to buy with my new computer?

Your question does not really have a definitive answer; it is too vague. We would need to know what the intended use of the system is to be ie are you intending on gaming, doing video editing, just email/web surfing, what?

It is somewhat like asking "What is the best car" Well there are a lot of cars and they have different attributes such as a sports car might not be the best choice for an area that gets a LOT of snow. If that were the case, a 4x4 truck would be "Better" than the sports car.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.1127006/
Relevancy 36.55%

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a 3.0Ghz Pentium celeron and a 3.0Ghz pentium 4?

Go here and you can see the specs on each processor you are trying to compare:Intel processor specs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.394671/
Relevancy 36.55%

hi
i havea p4 motherboard with a 462 chip slot and was wondering since the chip slot for this amd processor is 462 will it work or would i be getting into trouble? thanks John

Relevancy 36.55%

Ok i will try and word this a bit better. OK i am building myself a computer. I am going to pick up the motherboard soon. I need to know what one to get. I am trying to think of what type of CPU to get. I can spend up to $350 Canadian ($287 U.S.) on it. I want to know what you think is better, AMD, or Intel. And if so what GHz and model.

A:Please help (processors)

Alex4 said:

Ok i will try and word this a bit better. OK i am building myself a computer. I am going to pick up the motherboard soon. I need to know what one to get. I am trying to think of what type of CPU to get. I can spend up to $350 Canadian ($287 U.S.) on it. I want to know what you think is better, AMD, or Intel. And if so what GHz and model. Click to expand...

350 on entire pc? or just cpu

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-processors.318298/
Relevancy 36.55%

i want a fast processor for games. I looked around online and i heard that some processors get too hot and could melt. I just need a solid, fast, reliable processor for gaming.
btw i heard celeron wasnt for gaming why is that?

Celeron' lack the internal cache, and other command sets that are vital to a good gaming experience.

They are designed for entry-level consumer pc' where the only tasks performed would be email, web browsing, and music ...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.501911/
Relevancy 36.55%

have a pc, dont know what make,do know its a dfi atx board. it has a slot 1 pentium 2 processor wanting to go faster, looks like it will support a pentium 3, where can i find these old processors or i there another way to go about this
Thank u all much and have a great day:

A:processors

You can find lots of interesting stuff for reasonable prices at http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com

Hope this helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.129992/
Relevancy 36.55%

alright so im lookin to buy a new processor ive been lookin at an amd athlon 4400+X2 socket 939 or an amd athlon 4600+X2 socket 939.

heres the specs for the 4400+X2

Processor Speed + Class
Processor Class: AMD Athlon 64 X2
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
AMD Model: 4400+
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Physical + Memory Specifications
Processor Socket: AMD® Socket 939
Number of Processor Cores: 2
L1 Cache Size: 128 kB x 2
L2 Cache Size: 2 MB
Included Fan Type: ATX
heres the specs for 4600+X2

Processor Speed + Class
Processor Class: AMD Athlon 64 X2
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
AMD Model: 4600+
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Physical + Memory Specifications
Processor Socket: AMD® Socket 939
Number of Processor Cores: 2
L1 Cache Size: 256 kB x 2
L2 Cache Size: 1 MB
Included Fan Type: ATX

as u may notice the 4400 has an L2 cache of 1mb x 2 while the 4600+ has a L2 cache of 512kb x 2
so im just wondering whats better for gaming. im an avid gamer. just wondering what would be better. thanks

Relevancy 36.55%

Hi all I m thinking of getting a new CPU and also I want to understand how CPU work so I have some basic quations I have made a list of some of the processors and the speeds I do not have all the information on the processors speed I can t find it at any book store or any of my books so processors New here it is From the first CPU to now first CPU made speed MHz MHz to MHz to MHz K to MHz pentim to MHz MMX to MHz pentim pro to MHz pentim to MHz pentim to GHz Intel celeron GHz to GHz pentim New processors GHz and can go up to GHz Top of the line CPU is GHz Top of the line AMD bit processor Companies that make CPU s Intel IBM AMD cryrix IDT Celenon is made by Intel Athlon and Duron is made by AMD New pentium when it comes out GHz and up I do not have any information on the list blow where it goes in the list above K and D and D or p Also is it true that the first CPU used in PCs hand a clook speed of approximately MHz If I was to get a CPU should I get CPU at GHz I think at this time the top of the line CPU is GHz Also is true that pentium when they came out it was GHz and the pentium can go up to GHz and than the pentium will come out Anyone have any information nbsp

Relevancy 36.55%

Please can anyone tell me in layman's terms the differences between if any and if one is better than the other

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 2.13Ghz
and
Intel® Core™ i3-330M Processor 2.13Ghz

Also what is the equivalent AMD Processor

many thanks

Brobilly

Relevancy 36.55%

Hi guys. My current computer is 4-years old now and I would like to buy a new one. I'm looking to spend around $3000.00 to get a really nice one w/ good warranty, etc. to be safe. But, is there really a HUGE difference between a 3ghz and 3.6ghz processor? Btw, these are both Intel p4 with HTT

Relevancy 36.55%

hello

how do I know if my intel pentium D processor is a 32bit or a 64bit?

or are all dual core processors now are 64bit?

Relevancy 36.55%

Whats better to use a mobo with dual processors or just one?

G'day bonesaw2009, what were you intending doing with it and what kind of operating system were you intending to use and how well off financially are you?
If it is not a server application and you are talking common operational kind of stuff like desktop or common gaming kind of use using common windows kinds of programs you would probably be better off with a simple single processor setup.
Cheers. qldit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.387323/
Relevancy 36.55%

Okay, now my question is: Can you run a 64-bit OS on 2-32 bit processors? Note: i don't want to try this, but in theory it should work if the OS can address both processors as 1 64 bit processor, correct?

A:64-bit os on (2) 32-bit processors?

No it won't. That theory falls flat on its face as you don't get 64 bit computing from two 32 bit processors. The processor either supports 64 bit or it doesn't. Same applies to quad core processors; it is 4 cores running at a set speed (2.4 GHz for example), not as a processor running at 9.6 GHZ (don't know if they are still there, but there used to be a few that tried to pull this scam on ebay).

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/105909-64-bit-os-2-32-bit-processors.html