Windows Support Forum

Case fan replacement/repair

Q: Case fan replacement/repair

I've had problems with my PCs fans in the past and I've always had to go to a PC shop to have them replaced when they started acting up. I have heard, however, that the process of replacing the fan is easy and a lot cheaper to just do yourself. The fan that I am having trouble with in this instance is the case fan and not the processor fan. In fact, the hardware check (del at boot-up) shows that the fan in question is not spinning at all even though I am hearing it make some funky noises from time to time Anywho, is this a process that is the same from PC to PC or is there a site I will have to visit to determine the procedure/parts needed for my particular case?

As always, any given help will be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Case fan replacement/repair

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 23.22%

I sometimes wonder about techs using tools such as Seatools, HDD regenerator etc to diagnose/repair hard drives. Do any of these tools beat Chkdsk in any way?
(besides data recovery tools, I guess those have no match in Windows).

Thank you

A:Do you need more than Windows default tools to check/repair a hard drive?

IMO, always use the tool provided by the vender. At the time you need this tool, you don't need a 3rd party screw-up to 'help you' really mess it up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-you-need-more-than-windows-default-tools-to-check-repair-a-hard-drive.217548/
Relevancy 27.95%

Evening, all

I bought an interesting little Single Board Computer as an mITX motherboard (a WADE-8020, more info at the link below):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portwell-...766?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9b75151e

I have another similar board in an old Hoojum Cubit 3 case, and was wondering if anyone might have any other suggestions for a similarly eye-catching case, probably ready-made, though I'm not averse to either buying a DIYed case, or maybe trying to make one myself (I have a Dremel but not much else, and that includes skill )

Cheers, Jon.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/case-suggestions-for-industrial-mitx-board.213745/
Relevancy 24.08%

How to repair a corrupt 64gig flash drive

A:Flash drive repair

Hi, This really depends on how it has 'gone wrong'.
If it's a hardware failure then nothing you can do will sort it out.
But if it's a software/format failure then;
Save everything you want off of it with a program such as 'Recuva'.
https://www.piriform.com/recuva/download
Then Format it again by;
Right-click on the Flash drive's icon in 'explorer' or 'Computer',
Choose 'Properties' from the list,
Choose 'Format'
Set the option of FAT 32,
Untick the 'Quick format' option, so that you are using the slower full format option.
Click OK.
Note that all the files that were on it will be gone, so be sure to save any valuable files first, if you can.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/flash-drive-repair.212321/
Relevancy 23.65%

Earlier in the WoF I said the following:

madboyv1 said:

I have a Corsair H80i in one computer, and a Prolimatech Samuel 17 in another computer CPU wise... The pump for my Arctic Accelero Hybrid for my GPU just failed last night. RIPClick to expand...

I decided to be more investigative, and opened the pump housing up, this is the horror I found:

And in the puddle of fluid that came out when I turned the pump over:

When I send power to the impeller it does freely spin (it is an induction pump). I'm thinking I can fix this sucker.

Anyone have and tips or suggestions for cleaning the system and then repriming it with fresh coolant?

A:Arctic Accelero Hybrid Repair?

Oh god... I tilted the radiator up to get more fluid out...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/arctic-accelero-hybrid-repair.209272/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hey guys,

I am in love with the CM Stryker case however its fulltower so its rather big.

Does anyone know if I can get a similar case in medium size?

Thanks! ( Yes I tried googling already )

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/case-like-cm-trooper-stryker-but-smaller.209005/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi, am prepared to be labelled "thick as mince" however I wonder if anyone can advise how to proceed with the following: Replaced cracked laptop screen on a TM99, on first start up after replacement, the screen worked.....woohoo!, however.....on next startup, there was nothing, no lights, no start up screen...nada. Replaced new with original screen, which although cracked had worked, and it too now failed. Any ideas? The cable for the screen was seated properly and securely, nothing else was moved so am struggling to establish a reason for this non conformance. Could it possibly be a jammed "lid closed" switch? If this is potentially the culprit, anyone know whereabouts it is? Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/packard-bell-tm99-laptop-failed-screen-replacement.208913/
Relevancy 23.22%

Error 0x4001100200001012 attempting to boot from the System Repair CD created on a Dell.

Apparently, this is specific to Dell and their Hack with DataSafe. You can use any System Repair CD generated on some other platform and it will give you access to restore your System Image. Google using that error code and you'll find lots of info. A Windows Install disk will work too.

I have a SR cd from another system and it works just fine :whew:

Don't get caught up a creek w/o a paddle - - if you plan on using a System Image to recover a system,
make sure you have the tools which will allow that image to be restored - - DON'T ASSUME!

background: I'm seeing SMART data that corroborates my laptop HD is degrading and I wanted to prove I could restore when the replacement arrives. As this Dell laptop is a pain to open up, I didn't want to go down in flames due to procedural errors or lack of familiarity. ( I'll never by another Dell )

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/caveat-emptor-dell-system-repair-disk.207223/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi guys,

I am replacing the stock fan/heatsink on my HIS Radeon HD 6790 with the Arctic Accellero R2 Plus. This fan has a 3 pin and 4 pin option for the fan. The stock fan is only 2 pin...black and red. The aftermarket fan's wiring is black, red and yellow, and black (ground), red (VDC), yellow (signal) and blue (PWM).

My question is can I just splice the original connector with just red and black into the aftermarket wiring? The fan came with a molex adapter but I'd rather the video card be able to regulate the fan rather than it just be going full out all the time. Is the factory red and black also considered VDC and ground?

Thanks in advance!
More about : 6790 fan pinout aftermarket fan replacement

"There is only one way to boot a computer..."

A:HIS HD 6790 Fan Pinout (Aftermarket Fan Replacement)

Chris, if the fan will plug into the motherboard, it will regulate the speed and u will be alright.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/his-hd-6790-fan-pinout-aftermarket-fan-replacement.206709/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hey guys I was looking at case suggestions mini-ITX redoing a build as a mini-itx so it would be more in the question to carry it somewhere if need be This is my alternative to getting a laptop as a primary mini-ITX case suggestions computer and ill be gettiing some sort of cheap portable tablet laptop for college work So I was looking for mini-ITX cases that would be best for my situation Alot of them are cube-like and im not a fan I would prefer something that I could put my xbox on top or vica versa Not that id definately be doing that but thats generally what form factor I want I also need to be able to fit like at most a GTX in it I know thats asking alot but alot of the cube cases can do mini-ITX case suggestions it all mini-itx cases ive really seen are too slim or to cube like and that makes it feel clunky to move anywhere Id really like to have the most efficient PC case possible Ive got a corsair c build right now and it just doesnt work at college as well as id want Oh yea my budget is at max Looking further im starting to think I won t be able to get a build small enough for what im looking for and I guess thats understandable I guess I should say my PSU budget is so it either needs to support a normal PSU or have a smaller one in that price range and wattage amperage that can run a non overclocked i and a GTX nbsp

A:mini-ITX case suggestions

I am doing a second mini-itx and the case does not seem to be working. the first case is no longer available - I posted pics here - it was all acrylic/clear - over the long term, it turns out that the acrylic broke at the power-on button and where the power supply meets the back of the case.

You might want to look at some that are for video - they have a low, flat profile like a DVD player.

You can get one that will accommodate a pico-psu power supply. This is a laptop-style power supply, with a barrel connector to connect to the computer.

This connection needs to be figured out before ordering parts. The right pico-psu will connect right into the ATX power supply plug, just like the plug coming out of a regular ATX power supply. But the barrel connection needs to be supported by the case.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mini-itx-case-suggestions.206075/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hey!! So basically I need a new one and I have decided over what to buy and did some research but I want to check in with you guys just to be sure that the gpu and psu are compatible. This is what I want: GTX 760 2gb Physx CUDA; and my current psu is: Silver Power SP-S650. Never had a gpu that needed two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors before so I want to be super sure that I got it right )

A:Graphic card replacement

Silver Power SP-S650 650W PSU
ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Standard, 4x 6+2pin PCIe, 14x SATA, 7x MolexClick to expand...

By the link in the quote you have a PSU with 4x 6+2pin PCIe connectors, and 650W is plenty for two GTX 760 in SLI.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphic-card-replacement.206486/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hello everyone - I have just assembled a new build It will not power up I need a suggestion to figure out if the problem is the case or the motherboard This is a mini-itx build power-up: power New or Build MB? no supply case's The case is New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? Linkworld LC - B This case comes with a volt watt external laptop-style power supply that plugs into the rear of the case just like New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? a laptop power supply plugs into a laptop - a barrel connector Inside this power connection connects to a power supply component that is not like a regular ATX power supply but is on a printed-circuit board New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? mounted on the case This has several capacitors and other stuff From that comes the -pin and -pin power supply lines for the motherboard I assume the -volt power supply for this external power supply unit is right since it came with the case It was watt The processor is an IBM t with TDP of watts Lower-powered CPUs can be put in a small so I assumed the power supply might be under-powered I ordered a -watt volt power supply with the right size barrel - and same polarity pos inside The MB is an ASRock H MV-ITX It is mini-itx form factor Still same problem Everything is connected correctly When I press the power-on button an external CD drive I have plugged-in spins up for a while But no power light comes on in the front of the case there are no POST beeps the fan for the CPU does not spin up No other signs of life So power is getting into the MB - the external CD drive is plugged into a USB socket in the rear panel of the MB After trying a watt and watt power supply I believe the problem cannot be the power supply cord Can it be that I have too little load I don t think so I plugged in another mm fan and an ol-fashion floppy drive just the power connection to add more load - same thing no power-up no POST nothing but the CD drive will spin up when I open-then-close it yet again So here is the help I need what else can I try -assuming the MB and case are fine is it more likely the case power supply is bad or the MB --Thanks nbsp

A:New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB?

Well, I figured out the problem.
I am planning to re-do the older mini-itx system I have; it has gotten riddled with Trojan software for kids downloading games; it basically has been de-commissioned already.

So, I took the pico-psu power supply from that older computer, and hooked it up to the one I am making. Everything went perfectly.

So, I un-did that, removed the MB from case, disconnected the barrel-power connection from the case, unscrewed and removed the power supply that had been mounted in the case, put the pico-psu power supply back in place (I had to drill the hole for the barrel-connection out to be a little bigger since the pico-psu internal/external connection is threaded and held in place by nut with lock washer), and routed wires to be clear of cpu fan, screwed MB to stand-offs, and closed it all up.

now, everything is great. I like this linkworld case, but the power supply is worthless. I may try to get a few dollars back from the ebay vendor, to make me happy with a case that is less than what I should have gotten, but is working for me; I don't want to wait on returns, etc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-no-power-up-cases-power-supply-or-mb.206259/
Relevancy 28.81%

My gaming computer turned in February and now that it s no longer under warranty things are going wrong This week in the middle of a project the machine rebooted on its own It restarted but shortly after did replacement PSU question it again and again I still have free tech support and two tech s offered help on what could be causing it First I replaced the cooling system thinking the PSU replacement question one installed failed and the cpu was overheating doing it It still rebooted I purchased software called Hardware Monitor to see if the power supply voltage was bad but it seemed ok then I swapped out the memory in case there was a bad stick It still rebooted My support tech feels it still could be the power supply and suggested I replace it I was told that I would need to buy the exact model and that buying any other would require a complete rebuild of my PC Since the computer is years old the power supply isn t sold anymore I was wondering if it s true that my computer would need to be completely rebuilt if I bought a PSU that wasn t the same The power supply is a Enermax Galaxy EVO w model egx ewt My computer was made by Digital Storm More system details available if needed nbsp

A:PSU replacement question

1. What hardware do you have in your system that needs such power? We need your hardware specs: CPU, GPU, amount of RAM, drives, etc.
2. Why does he believe a complete rebuild is necessary because that particular psu isn't made anymore? Is it a special size? If your case is to standard specs then see point #3.
3. Who is this support tech? Does he work for Digital Storm by chance? Check these psu's that will more than meet your power needs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...07657 600479299&IsNodeId=1&name=1200W - 1499W
4. Before you spend any $ find someone who has a digital volttage meter and test your psu to see if that is really the cause.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/psu-replacement-question.205941/
Relevancy 27.95%

I have a Dell Latitude D that I dropped while in its carrying bag so even backlight Dell screen Latitude replacement no after it wasn t a real hard landing Now the backlight won t come on I swapped an entire screen assembly from an identical D and it still won t turn the backlight on I swapped the screens again and the borrowed D still works fine and mine won Dell Latitude no backlight even after screen replacement t work I didn t bother to test my screen in the borrowed D I can run an external CRT with mine and I can see the LCD display if I shine a light on it so I know the display is working and not cracked The laptop won t drive the CRT Dell Latitude no backlight even after screen replacement unless it thinks the lid is down so to use the keyboard I removed the sense magnet from the lid and taped it to the place where it would be with the lid closed I ve noticed in the past that this D often stayed fully on including the display it seemed when I closed the lid and walked away for hours Note When I tested the borrowed screen I had the sense magnet removed When the magnet is taped in place simulating lid down both the backlight and the display are off I can t see the display even when a light is shined on it but when the magnet is removed simulating lid up I get the display with no backlight It seems like the display knows whether the lid is up or down but the backlight seems to act like the lid is always down Is this possible What should I look for nbsp

A:Dell Latitude no backlight even after screen replacement

Did you replace the backlight inverter?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-latitude-no-backlight-even-after-screen-replacement.198916/
Relevancy 24.51%

So, I noticed when gaming my computer would give of a permanent marker type smell, I thought maybe it was just getting hot, but as the smell got stronger I decided to see what was up, my friend told me to check the fans, and low and behold, a fan had stopped moving. (Pretty sure it's a GPU fan but not positive.) So I dust it out, because there was a ton of dust in it. And now it refuses to spin. help? I have pictures of the affected fan,it's the one of the bottom right.

A:GPU fan repair

Yeah that's a GPU fan, did you build the system yourself or was it premade? Check if it's still under warranty because if it is RMAing it will be easiest.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gpu-fan-repair.202524/
Relevancy 28.81%

Ok,guys.I need a suggestion about what case to get,my budget is up to 60$.
Looks are not important, the most important things are to have 1 fan or more,good cable managment and good build quality.
Thanks.

A:Budget PC case?

The Corsair 200R meets all your needs, but unfortunately, after Corsair released their new Spec budget cases, they raised the price of the 200R from $50 to $70.

So if you want a nice case for <$70, Corsair has some nice options you can check out >>here<<. I would watch unboxing videos on the Spec cases before purchasing since I am unsure if they would suit your needs (I am not too familiar with them since they are new). If you decide on a case, I recommend buying them from either >>Newegg<< or >>Amazon<<.

If you are interested in an unboxing of the 200R, check it out >>here<<.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/budget-pc-case.201421/
Relevancy 28.38%

Acomdata Model with WD AAJB drives installed System Dell Optiplex with Windows XP-Home Acomdata driver installed Two identical by computers different 4 recognized HD not case of IDE Acomdata 509 any New in cases and drives neither was recognized Objective to format these brand new IDE drives New IDE HD in Acomdata 509 case not recognized by any of 4 different computers Drive configured as Master Master with Slave New IDE HD in Acomdata 509 case not recognized by any of 4 different computers and Slave the only evidence of New IDE HD in Acomdata 509 case not recognized by any of 4 different computers movement of disk Pink light was when installed as slave As MASTER or Master w slave No pink LED at any time Reset as MASTER An identical second Acomdata box with a second new WD AAJB drive behaved exactly the same It was not recognized in the Dell Initially the Device Manager USB list showed a yellow warning for a USB Mass Storage Device Uninstall and reinstall hardware made no difference A subsequent repeat of uninstall reinstall caused the yellow warning to disappear When the drive was reinstalled a small screen popped up in the Notification area telling me that new hardware had been found My Computer Open - eventually showed H as well as W X Y Z the card readers At that time Device Mgr USB Mass Storage had no yellow warning any more Storage Disk Management did not show H at that point An internal inconsistency ----- When I tried to FORMAT from the OPEN drop down menu H was shown to be inaccessible Tried the Acomdata drive system on an iMac and two functioning Sony Vaio PCs running Windows None could see the external drive Microsoft and other sites had all the same ineffective directions for taking care of the Code Cannot start this device MS blamed it on a device in one place Nothing to do with a device No one mentioned anything about how the HD should be set up while Acomdata s instructions were to set it up as a Master which I did After spending several hours on this with these two new WD AAJB drives and two Acomdata cases no success --- Contacted WD support for help via E-mail They responded that they do not support the drives unless directly connected to the mother board I e they did not know or have any idea either Searching the Internet the problem shows up very frequently for many people regardless or PC make or Windows OS When I first acquired the Acomdata case it worked OK I actually installed Windows XP pro on it with some files That drive is not recognized either in that case any more Different PC nbsp

A:New IDE HD in Acomdata 509 case not recognized by any of 4 different computers

Addendum: One of the drives is in a 509 Combo case, so I tried the 1394/Firewire connection.
Result: with the 1394 connection, the PC hung up during booting at the Windows screen.
Checked the BIOS and it looked ok. Safe mode booted OK, but the drive was not visible in My Computer-->Open; Device Manger, or in My Computer--> Manage-->Disk Management.

There seems to be no way to recognize this case or its USB only 2nd unit.
I cannot believe that both Acomdata cases developed defects in storage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-ide-hd-in-acomdata-509-case-not-recognized-by-any-of-4-different-computers.200984/
Relevancy 28.38%

Couple days I got new a case Corsair Graphite 230T Orange. I installed mother board P8Z77-V LX, new cooler Evo212. I THINK I installed the motherboard right in the case. I had to remove 1 pin that was blocking the placement of the board.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=pvyjc&s=5#.UuQzWxA1iUk

A:New case possible short circuiting home

There is 1 board mounting post that needs to be left out from time to time. I even believe I've seen phenolic, or some type of composition pins to be put in that position.

If you look carefully at you board, you may be able to spot the position, by the lack of ground tracks running to it.

Best I can do. BTW, I don't really trust any thing to do with "tinyURL" or similar links. No offense intended.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-case-possible-short-circuiting-home.199656/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi, I have a Corsair 550D and was going to get a h100i because I didn't realize I could put the H110 radiator on the side panel and have it exhausting air.

So let's say that's what I do, I have the H110 rad on the side panel exhausting air. That leaves me with the rear fan, the two top fans, the two front fans and the bottom fan. What configuration would give the best cooling with the H110 rad on the side exhausting air?

Thanks

A:How should I set up my case fans with a H110 rad on the side?

Well, mounting it on the side is an interesting choice but could work just fine. You have to remember though, hot air rises so you must keep that in mind when building your system.

If I was doing this, here is what I would do:

Front Fans Intake
Bottom fans Intake
Rear Fan Intake
Top fans Exhaust
Radiator Exhaust

That will keep a steady flow of cool air over your components. That in my opinion will be the best setup.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-should-i-set-up-my-case-fans-with-a-h110-rad-on-the-side.198986/
Relevancy 28.38%

For Christmas I got another mm case fan aerocool shark rpm and I tried mounting it at the top of the case to suck out hot air as I have intakes and exhaust already but I couldn t seem to get the right screws to screw it in at the top my case aerocool fan cooling Case question strike x gt came with long screws for the top of the case but they are too thin to screw into the fan So instead I mounted the new fan on the side door on the top fan slot by the CPU as an intake and today when I played a new game that I got for Christmas BF I noticed the CPU temps would get rather hot I am using the stock intel cooler bear that in mind I was getting a max temperature of about degrees C after a roughly Case fan cooling question hour gaming session Would I benefit from making the new fan an exhaust by the CPU or would I be better off or is there a secret way of mounting a fan up there at the top as an exhaust that I son t know about as I imagine that way would be the best way to do things Also my graphics card could handle BF at all max p with FPS Thanks EDIT - To clarify I have intakes at the front one rear exhaust and the new fan as an intake on the side door by the stock CPU cooler nbsp

A:Case fan cooling question

hopgop1 said:

For Christmas I got another 120mm case fan (aerocool shark 1500 rpm) and I tried mounting it at the top of the case to suck out hot air as I have 2 intakes and 1 exhaust already but I couldn't seem to get the right screws to screw it in at the top, my case (aerocool strike x gt) came with long screws for the top of the case but they are too thin to screw into the fan. So instead I mounted the new fan on the side door on the top fan slot by the CPU as an intake and today when I played a new game that I got for Christmas (BF3) I noticed the CPU temps would get rather hot (I am using the stock intel cooler, bear that in mind) I was getting a max temperature of about 80 degrees C after a roughly 2 hour gaming session. Would I benefit from making the new fan an exhaust by the CPU or would I be better off, or is there a secret way of mounting a fan up there at the top as an exhaust that I son't know about as I imagine that way would be the best way to do things. Also my graphics card could handle BF3 at all max 1080p with 60+ FPS. Thanks. EDIT - To clarify I have 2 intakes at the front, one rear exhaust and the new fan as an intake on the side door by the stock CPU cooler.Click to expand...

With stock coolers, the fan on the intel cooler is pulling the air through the heat sink off the CPU and into the case away from it. By putting a fan blowing air down on the CPU, you are pushing the air back onto your cpu thus keeping the hot air hovering around it.

I would suggest swapping to exhaust.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/case-fan-cooling-question.198885/
Relevancy 28.38%

I had no idea card could be some gigantic, that blows my mind, I can't wait to see the thing!

The problem is I never checked the size of the card to see if it would fit in my case, it won't.

What I would like as suggestions are names of cases long enough from front to back to fit 40cm card but no higher then 58cm as that's the height from the bottom of my desk to the top. (it does leave like half cm gap at thetop, not cool I know). If it's possible to get a case to fit the card that can also fit under my desk that would be excellent.

Edit: BTW, I'm getting a Palit Jetstream GTX 770 4GB.

Edit 2: I am actually now unsure of the length of that particular card, I keep find contradicting numbers.

A:Looking for a case to fit a 40cm card

I'm not sure I understand the request. Why would you need a 16 inch card slot? A 16 inch card slot would be outside of specifications.

Physical card dimensions

Full-size card

The original "full-size" PCI card is specified as a height of 107 mm (4.2 inches) and a depth of 312 mm (12.283 inches). The height includes the edge card connector. However, most modern PCI cards are half-length or smaller (see below) and many modern PCs cannot fit a full-size card.Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-a-case-to-fit-a-40cm-card.198814/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hello mates,

I have a corrupted micro SD card. With huge trying I could to recover it's data using **recuva** tool, but now my files are corrupted also. They are video file with some famous extensions such as 3gp, mp4, flv, wmv, avi. My video file players are *VLC* and *Media player classic*. The *media player classic* says, "can not render the file" and *VLC* doesn't show anything.

Is there a way to repair these video files?

Thanks.

A:How to repair video files?

Don't think so. With the corrupted micro SD, there's no way to edit them to make them valid again - - sure hope you have another copy elsewhere (aka backups?)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-repair-video-files.198669/
Relevancy 28.38%

Anyone else have trouble with these fans in regards to their reliability? I bought over $100 worth of Aerocool's Shark red edition (of the 120mm and 140mm variety) case fans and a little over a year later the bearings are already starting to go. These fans seem to have a good reputation and they aren't exactly cheap, so I'm surprised that they are giving me these problems.

Two of the 120mm fans started grinding\buzzing all of the sudden and it was very annoying. A month later one of the 140mm fans started doing the same thing. This isn't something that goes away after lubrication and I can even feel it rubbing when I spin the fan manually. They utilize fluid-dynamic bearings so I would have expected them to last a lot longer.

A:Aerocool Shark case fans

I have these:
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16835129061
They are the Aerocool shark 140mm red edition (3 of them) and I've had limited problems. Two are mounted on a 140mm radiator vertically and they have had zero problems. The third is a bottom intake mounted horizontally and it's had a few minor issues. So far for me they are working fine and sounding good, the bottom one just had this odd grease appear on the fins which I cleaned off but it's still silent like the others.

I have not tried dissembling them yet, but if they are rattling, check if you can rma under warranty or try greasing them yourself.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/aerocool-shark-case-fans.197057/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi all,
I am planning to build a new machine and am wanting to start with the case,,,was wondering if I will strike any difficulties installing old hardware into a new case (apart from the front USB 3.0).
I have been looking at firstly the Gigabyte Sumo Omega here then after I found that I could not get a supplier here in Aus. Struck upon the SilverStone brand here which I should be able to purchase Downunder.

Would it be possible to install in a newer case ? (not planning on going to a smaller form factor) this current Mobo configuration GA- 8KNXPUltra FJ Ultra (with DPS) -Gigabyte-,,?
Thanks in advance

A:Building a new machine starting with case

Whoa a Pentium 4:

Well yes I don't see a problem with that as the screw configs have not really changed and most cases come with tons of different screw holes for all sizes of motherboards (Its normally the Extended ATX boards that are harder to satisfy).

You should not have a problem grabbing a new case and putting your old components in, they will fit in a normal sized case with ease!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-a-new-machine-starting-with-case.196653/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hey guys Excuse my lack of proper harddrive Problem WD with external case changing terminology I am new to these things Recently my gb WD external hard drive had the USB port connection on the hard drives circuit board break off So Problem with changing WD external harddrive case I went and bought a new case from my local computer shop I had originally taken my HD to see if they could solder the usb port thing back on to the circuit board but they said they don t do repairs So he looked at my HD and told me which case would be best for it I come home and follow his instructions and remove the circuit board from which the usb port fell off from which also supplied the power and connected to the SATA power port on the HD and put it in to the new housing When I connect it to my laptop it does not show up under My Computer However in my icon tray it shows a USB device has connected and it gives me the option of removing it safely I can hear the HD starting up when it gets plugged in but nothing else happens When I removed the HD from its new case and put the old circuit board bit back on and manually held the usb with the usb port connection on to the circuit board from where it came off from I am able to get it recognized by the computer and the WD software for the password prompt starts up So I know my HD is functioning I just cant get it to function in its new case Any help would be much appreciated Thank you nbsp

A:Problem with changing WD external harddrive case

Is the new case powered in the same way as the old case? If yes, I would return the case.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-changing-wd-external-harddrive-case.196556/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi all,

I'm quite stuck on getting a PC case which will help with cooling. I'm looking for the best case at cooling in the 70 range. The case has to be big enough for graphic card upgrades (I currently have 5850 XFX Black Editions in crossfire). Examples of cases I've looked at are the Carbide 300R, HAF 912 Plus and Fractal Design R4. Please can anyone advise of the best case (in this class?) in the UK. I'm happy to add additional case fans to get better cooling!
MB is ATX, BTW.

A:PC Case advice for better cooling (budget @£60-£80)

Well since im going to assume air cooling I have a couple of options that I personally like for those types of systems:

NZXT Phantom Mid Tower

Corsair 400R or the 300R are both great options

There are many more but those are a few near your price point I recommend. I like the NZXT Phantom cases the most because of their room, expandability, and overall sleek look.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-case-advice-for-better-cooling-budget-%C2%A360-%C2%A380.196120/
Relevancy 27.95%

My iphone 4S can not support whole day use as the battery nearly drain .

So I searched iphone 4S external battery in amazon and find Plush cartoon toys power banks AD below. The price is 29.99$ a little expensive as its 5200mAh. T

http://amazon.com/Constellations-Thunderbolt-Incredible-Blackberry-Fashionable/dp/B00DJ3DZK2 (avoild link, delet url space when past in IE)

Also I found a external battery case here :

http://www.amazon.com/Power-External-Protective-Battery-iPhone/dp/B00409E4JK/

The battery capacity is only 1700mAh but can be used as a case protector for iphone 4s

Which one I should bought or

do anyone find the similar high capacity like 10000mAh but cheaper one in ebay buy.com or amazon and other place?

A:Power bank or external battery case?

Before you invest in more equipment, try to reduce power consumption (see this)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-bank-or-external-battery-case.195897/
Relevancy 28.38%

I have a board that has dual AMD Athlon 64 FX-74s, the fans are incredidbly loud and I searched online but all I found were pretty much the exact same ones that I already have. I don't want to replace the current fans with identical ones that I will probably have the same problem with... So I was wondering if anyone knew of some compatible replacements for these... I would like ones that will give good air flow for the price seeing how I will need 2 of them....

Thanks

A:Looking for replacement heatsink/fans for my CPUs

No modern CPU coolers support the socket F from AMD. You may have to find older models.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-replacement-heatsink-fans-for-my-cpus.195772/
Relevancy 28.38%

I read online that some people, while making their server build, had to drill holes in the case's back plate or just buying another case. I was just wondering if with this case and motherboard, I would have to drill holes because I know that with server motherboards there isn't really a standard. Thanks to anyone who helps out!

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147155

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182182

A:Server Motherboard with case help

You need to find a rack that can support E-ATX motherboards (extended ATX). Do you need a rack? Or is this just a workstation?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/server-motherboard-with-case-help.195224/
Relevancy 28.38%

What the title says. I am looking for the best air mover for the lowest sound in that range. Im not expecting close to the best I can get at all.

I dont care about sound THAT much, but my PC now gets rather loud under load and I just want to make sure a bunch of fans (5 or 6) wont contribute to noise.

Oh and also, I just want 2 blue LED ones-im getting a corsair C70 and that already comes with 3 fans so I should be plenty set after that

A:Best blue LED 120mm case fans for $15 (each)

I recommend these:
Xigmatek XAF-F1256
Cooler Master JetFlo 120
Cougar 12CM
Enermax Vegas Duo - Haven't tried this, but people say it is a good fan. It has 2 colors also.

These are cheaper, but more noisy options:
Rosewill RFA-120-BL - recommended over the CM one below
Cooler Master 120MM Blue LED

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-blue-led-120mm-case-fans-for-15-each.195161/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi Laptop screen is badly cracked needs replacement Original laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ with a CCFl screen n b -l rev c This is with a pin connection and the pink white backlight cable I already have an LED Screen from a dead laptop LP WH TL N This is with a pin connection and no other external cables As it stands right now I have the cable going from inside the laptop proper splitting in one fork going screen cracked, unsure about replacement Laptop into the left side of the inverter and the Laptop screen cracked, unsure about replacement other turning into a flat cable and going into the screen as a pin connection There is also the pink white backlight cable going into the right side of the inverter I m wondering there is any way to use the LED screen using a pin to pin converter Laptop screen cracked, unsure about replacement or possibly to purchase a pin cable outright and ignoring the inverter competely or something along those lines I simply haven t been able to figure out to what level the laptop is built around using that specific screen Thanks in advance nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-screen-cracked-unsure-about-replacement.194633/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello everyone Ok I haven t posted in a while Replacement failing PSU's keeps as I Replacement PSU's keeps failing have bought a Replacement PSU's keeps failing new PC This actually concerns my old pc that I gave to my friend The thing is I have recently found out that the pc has had Power Supplies that have failed in about a year s time Each of these Power Supplies wasn t a cheap model They were collectively well known brands I have asked my friend to tell me what is the current model and wattage of the current PSU My question is what could cause a repeated failure of decent Power Supplies My friend isn t much of a techie and he surmised that it maybe is the Motherboard This Desktop PC is about years old It is an AMD Dual Core Gig RAM DDR The Motherboard is a Gigabyte KA- N SLI and it has currently an ATI video Card I think it s a HD Anyway I originally had a W power supply which couldn t handle the strains of the new video card and the computer s PSU failed As I was working full time in a very stressful job Replacement PSU's keeps failing I did not have the means to buy a new PSU and install it myself as I would have normally The end result was we took it to the shops and spent odd dollars AU dollars for the Power Supply itself for a Watt Power Supply and within to months that power supply failed Currently the PC works intermittently It sometimes turns on and works fine and recently the last days it does not even turn on I just don t understand how a good brand PSU can fail so quickly My friend thinks it might be the Case Fans as the case I had it in had was a gaming case with big mm fan in the front of the Case and two mm fans to the side He seems to think maybe it is the fans chewing up power but I tend to think not as I ran several peripherals when I had that PC and I was a power user compared to my friend who basically only occassionally uses it and he generally only uses it for old games like Neverwinter NIghts I can t seem to get my head around a possible solution My theories are as follows Power Outlet faulty I thought maybe there was a overload at the power socket where the PC is plugged in or possibly the whole house as he said he thought of that and has moved the plug in for the PC around Motherboard If it was the motherboard would it not make those beeping sounds at start From what I have gathered talking to my friend it appears that since the PC hasn t started it has been making distinctive beeps indicating a hardware fault My PC noob friend has stated maybe it was the connection between the MB and the PSU but I thought that was preposterous as the connection wires would be coming from the PSU and not the MB so the chances that PSU cables to PC are faulty just sounds impossible Memory I have not seen the PC myself and only spoke to him on the phone but I will be going over to his house on the weekend to have a look and if need be bring the PC over to my place to take it apart and start testing each component separately to find the fault Also my friend says maybe its just wear and tear But surely that does not make sense I used to own this PC and I was a heavy gamer I played in the years - quite heavily with this pc and I had several joysticks and that was when it had a w Antec Power Supply with absolutely no issues I do know that a mutual friend apparently fixed it last time it broke down PSU He apparently replaced the PSU and gave the interior a clean with compressed air I have a sneaking suspicion he might have tweaked the voltages but again I am not sure and I will be confirming with this technician tomorrow I have instructed my friend to run a dxdiag and send the file to me so I can post it with this thread but I don t think that is gonna happen as it sounds like the PC wont load to windows Can someone please give me clues to how to go about indentifying the core problem here Am I on the right path with my analysis I just can t fathom that it could be the motherboard Is it possible for a faulty motherboard to... Read more

A:Replacement PSU's keeps failing

If the psu's are failing like that, chances are something is causing the issue (the odds of that many psu's failing that quickly is very low)

Test the Psu's on another system for starters to see if they are actually bad. That could at least let you make sure it's not something else causin the problem.

I would also try other outlets because a faulty plug can be an issue (plus use a power strip, it helps protect your machine ).

I do not think its the motherboard or the video card as if it was, they would not be functional period. It can also be heat/stress on the psu if the psu is getting to hot due to location or if there's lots if dust build up causing it to fail.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacement-psus-keeps-failing.193810/
Relevancy 29.24%

Struggling to find the right case for me, where can I find a case with:

ATX
Soundproofing
Dustproofing
Space for at least 5 Hard Drives
Space for at least 1 Optical Drive
Space for at least 1 ssd (optional since I currently use a converter)
Space to fit a HD Radeon 5970 / HD Radeon 7990
Space for large fans / cooling design
Very Heavy/average (optional - Not a downside)

A:Appropriate Case

I would recommend the CM Silencio 650, which is the most silent case I can think of, but it cant support the 310mm 7990. That means you need a full tower case. I think your best bet is the Fractal Design Define XL R2, which comes in grey and black. It has 10 HDD bays (SSDs just need a converter) and a optical drive bay. It is also soundproof, has filters for fans (dust proof), and can support up to 330mm cards with the drive bays intact.
Grey:http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Desig...4693&sr=8-1&keywords=Fractal+Design+Define+XL
Black: http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Desig...4693&sr=8-2&keywords=Fractal+Design+Define+XL

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/appropriate-case.192752/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi all My computer was top of the line years ago The past few years my computer has been freezing crashing and bluescreening due to the kind of functionality I force it through namely the use of multiple programs at once internet livestream games The fan hasn t worked for over a year now it was choking I simply turned it off and often attempted to keep my system as cool as possible using a large floor fan Today it gave it s death knoll - freezing with video ram artifacts all over the screen I had been I messing around with the EVE Online character creator with internet playing music and Steam open naturally Un- and reinstallation of the drivers would not fix the artifacts it had forced non-native resolution it wouldn t go beyond x or something native is x and was happily informing me that I wasn t quot currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU quot despite the fact that the second I uninstalled the drivers my computer was GTX Nvidia 8800 for Geforce Replacement searching for and reinstalling them again I gave up and shut down to look at the power supply and when I turned it back on it was miraculously in it s native resolution and artifact-free but I ve abused it long enough now that it probably only has a few months left and is in desperate Replacement for Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX need of replacement I realize it might even be artifact-ridden next time I turn it on Dell pre-built desktop years old Windows Vista Ultimate bit Intel Core Quad CPU at GHz GB RAM I think my power supply is max W but I m having trouble figuring the label out so I attached a picture in case I m sorely mistaken I m looking for something that works within my current specs approximately the same size as the Geforce GTX my case won t fit anything much bigger as far as I can tell and I can t get a new case because it barely fits height-wise where I need it to go As I said I use multiple programs and I especially game on my computer so I need something that can handle my usage On the other hand I am looking to completely replace my system within a few years with something custom from Origin so I don t want to be pouring money into this system So - something that will allow me to eke out a few more years within my other current specs without costing me a bundle Say around or Please let me know if you need more information and thanks in advance nbsp

A:Replacement for Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX

Umm have you thought about buying a new computer, yours is rather old. The amount of work, time and money you will probably spend on it trying to fix it up until you throw it away will be quite a lot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacement-for-nvidia-geforce-8800-gtx.192283/
Relevancy 27.52%

Late night I was in bed then I shock Static button... mobo case power fried? remembered that I needed to pay a bill that was due the next day So I jump out of bed and right to my PC I reach for the power Static shock case power button... mobo fried? button with my static charged finger unawares and get a shocking surprise I didnt actually press the button but the PC fired up anyway only to power down seconds later So I ground myself too late and press the power button Nothing no response Next I open the case and press the power button on the mobo no response The power and reset button on the mobo are lit up btw So then I unplug my power cord from the psu wait for the pc to drain completely then plug the cord back in Right when I plug the power cord back in the pc fires up then dies seconds later I ve tried -shorting out the battery -resetting cmos -screwdriver to the case power pin -bench test All with the same result Heres my hardware CASE Thermaltake MK-I Chaser CPU Intel Core i k GHz GPU EVGA GeForce GTX GB MOBO Asus P Z V PRO GEN MEM Corsair Vengeance GB DDR - x SSD Crucial M GB HDD Western Digital Caviar Black TB Windows Home Dont know what to do next I bought everything in February of so everything should be under warranty if qualified Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Static shock case power button... mobo fried?

Sounds like you've fried something important. You could probably try getting an RMA on the board, but they might realize what has happened.

I feel for you bro. I did a similar thing with a motherboard not too long ago.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/static-shock-case-power-button-mobo-fried.190991/
Relevancy 28.38%

Anyway that I can make the Thermal Element G case compatible with the ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155? I know the case doesn't have a USB 3.0 front port but the motherboard does. What can I do to get around this, because this is the only case that I can find that I really like.

A:MB and case compatibility issue

Ah, good to see you have received your components . I dont really get what you mean. The case doesnt have front USB3 ports? This may be because the case is an old model.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mb-and-case-compatibility-issue.191480/
Relevancy 28.38%

Swapped out the older ASUS motherboard when it apparently died - was also told that by a repair shop A sympathetic person donated his quot old quot ASUS P WD complete with PCU and RAM and heat sink for the cost of shipping so went to work He said he had upgraded to a more powerful setup and that this all worked when he removed it and stored it I had upgraded the power supply a few years ago to an ULTRA d watt when I added a couple Replacement up won't power motherboard drives and it always seemed to work I printed out the instruction manual for the P and not having done a lot of work on PC s for some years other than adding drives etc followed it very closely The plugs from the case were labeled so I m pretty sure I got the power amp interrupt switches case lights and fans etc all hooked up right Also the main cable to the board from the power supply and a secondary power supply cable to a socket near the CPU Also got the C drive EIDE and the additional SATA drives hooked up to the board and Replacement motherboard won't power up to the power supply and believe I have them right Maybe a question on the C drive There a set of sockets for EIDE drives incl one designated as a Primary and another Primary socket for an Replacement motherboard won't power up IDE drive If I recall my C drive is an EIDE so I should have connected to the right socket on the board Even if not shouldn t the CPU and case lights and fans power up When the big moment came to hit the switch it was an anti-climax Nothing happened The only sign of life is the green power LED on the board no CPU fan or anything No case lights or fans either I checked all the connections I mentioned and believe I have them right Being there s virtually no sign of life other than the green LED power light when I switch on the power supply could it be the power supply may have been the problem the whole time How can I test it - I have a digital meter Thanks for any ideas nbsp

A:Replacement motherboard won't power up

Short the 2 power switch pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacement-motherboard-wont-power-up.191337/
Relevancy 28.38%

If you like this modification please comment by a Korean Guy

A:Beautiful case modification

That is pretty cool actually. Pretty useless though lol.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/beautiful-case-modification.191000/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello, I'm pretty sure my 4850 is ready to bite the dust. I'm looking to replace it with a nvidia card around $100.00. any suggestions? I'm running win 7 64 bit, athlon64 5000,4mb ddr2 ,ssd. I do light gaming I.e. diablo series , icewind dale series , witcher series etc. thanks . mlmassie

A:Replacement for HD 4850

Can you give us either the make/model of your mobo, or the make model of your computer if it is a pre-built.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacement-for-hd-4850.190610/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hey everyone! It's jsut a quick post, but I recently finished a brand new computer build, but I am worried my case doesn't supply enough cooling, but also don't like the nosie it produces during gaming, so I am wondering if anyone knows of any good cases under 50/$60. I have looked at the powercool dominator and am wondering if it will be enough (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powercool-D...9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1362519059&sr=1-109).

My build is as follows:
- AMD 8350 CPU with stock heat sink/fan
- Gigabyte 7950 triple fan graphics card
- 16GB RAM
- SSD & Hard Drive (not performance, but more energy saving)
- CIT basic case modded with an additional fan on the side
- ASUS M5A99X Motherboard
- 880w PSU

Thank you for any advice! It will need to have high cooling abilities, but also quite quiet!

A:Computer case for $60?

- Noise from case is 95% the fault of the fans. More expensive cases provide quieter fans, but you're paying a lot more to start with anyway. Plus, you'll have to provide your own additional fans in most cases (pun not intended) anyway.
- PSU fan could be loud..?
- Cooling performance is a combination of how neat your build is (cables etc), the amount of components, the type of cooling on your devices, fans used, and airflow provided by case. This is a lot of variables, so it can be hard.
- The case you linked is a budget case. Don't expect miracles.

- My suggestion - stick with what you have, tweak the fan speeds a bit.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-case-for-60.190450/
Relevancy 23.65%

New system just built a week ago:

Asus P8Z77-V Pro
i7 3770K
F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 DDR3-1600 8GB(4GB*2)KIT CL9 1.25V
GIGABYTE GTX670 2GB OC PCI-E WINDFORCE3X GV-N670OC-2GD
OCZ Vector 2.5" 128GB SSD Indilinx Barefoot3 HD1237 VTR1-25SAT3-128G
Windows 8
The problem is, every 2nd or 3rd time I boot up I get a message by that white flag on the bottom right with a red X on it saying 'restart your PC to repair drive error (Important).

I have attached two screenshots at the bottom showing the messages I get within windows, then a short video of what happens when it reboots.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

A:Restart your PC to repair drive error (important)

I'm not familiar with SSDs. It is safe to run a check on it, and what software would you recommend?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/restart-your-pc-to-repair-drive-error-important.189187/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi all I normally buy my screens from ebay but does anyone know anywhere cheap . im from london uk so pref in uk please .. thanks

A:Where is cheapest place to buy replacement laptop screens

What's wrong with still using EBay? I get all my screens from EBay suppliers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/where-is-cheapest-place-to-buy-replacement-laptop-screens.187553/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi there TechSpot Long time since I last posted but I had a very specific question I m not sure I could get answered elsewhere So my lady friend has been doing all her computing on her Droid RAZR (possible V5 -- replacement GPU y/n?) Acer Aspire Laptop which is kind of sad for me - as a long time system builder and power user - to watch With Christmas coming up her parents and I were going to buy her a laptop Now I work at an electronics retailer and on Black Friday we Laptop GPU replacement -- Acer Aspire V5 (possible y/n?) started selling the Acer Aspire Laptop GPU replacement -- Acer Aspire V5 (possible y/n?) V for I impulse bought it figuring with a GHz Core i and gigs of RAM it was no weakling for a beginner I ve always fantasized about playing games with an SO cooperatively and I thought maybe just maybe this rig could manage FPS in simple games like Magicka or even ambitiously Left Dead But no such luck despite the age of those games My question given that it s got Intel HD integrated graphics it s doubtful the machine even has a PCIe port on the motherboard But before I tear it apart to find out I thought I might Laptop GPU replacement -- Acer Aspire V5 (possible y/n?) ask the wise minds of TechSpot So anybody have any idea if I can upgrade this sucker TL DR Bought a budget laptop for my girlfriend Want to know if I can upgrade from integrated video on this particular model an Acer V - nbsp

A:Laptop GPU replacement -- Acer Aspire V5 (possible y/n?)

There's no way to upgrade a video card in a laptop unless it's something from ASUS, MSI, Alienware, (If you're lucky)

But even if you could, the upgrade would probably be anywhere from $200-$600+ maybe even more. Old 7900GTX Go cards are still fetching roughly $100 on Ebay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-gpu-replacement-acer-aspire-v5-possible-y-n.187518/
Relevancy 24.51%

UNfortunately I let a person use my EDUP Wireless USB Adapter & I believe the person removed it without using the safe to remove process or by shuting down the pc correctly. Is there "any" chance it can be repaired? I do have the CD that came with it.
I've tried reinstalling it on my pc where I've never had a problem with it in 4 years.
Needless to say I'm rather angry about it because her mother don't believe her daughter did it.

A:USB Wi-Fi repair

Well, I'm guessing it is not possible. I tried this http://www.ehow.com/how_6144867_fix-issues-usb-wireless-adapters.html
& although it seemed promising, it obviously didn't work.
Anybody else got any ideas?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-wi-fi-repair.184901/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hello, I'm just wondering if it is possible for a PSU to stop delivering power to case fans due to aging/dying or would my case fans really be dead and in need of replacement.

A:Aging PSU or genuinely dead case fans?

How old is the power supply? Also, how many case fans do you have? It seems unlikely that the power supply would stop sending power to the case fans only. If everything else is working the way it should, perhaps your case fans are dead.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/aging-psu-or-genuinely-dead-case-fans.184874/
Relevancy 23.65%

I assembled a desktop maybe years ago the board finally went South It s an ASUS P C E 478 Pentium Need source for socket or IV repair motherboard motherboard uses a Pentium IV socket CPU dual channel DDR PC RAM - has slots I ve got modules for total gb RM I m not a gamer just fool around with home video amp pictures some online Need source for Pentium IV socket 478 motherboard or repair sports watch an old tv show surf the net simple things like that It s always been plenty fast for everything I do When it happened all the lights flashed rapidly and it beeped rapidly when I tried to start it Now the switch has no effect - the board powers up as soon as power is supplied to the machine Can t force quit the machine either Nothing on the monitor at all A Need source for Pentium IV socket 478 motherboard or repair tech shop checked it and said the board is bad Sounded like they checked it by swapping cpu s RAM etc I had tried a new battery first had hoped they would test the chipset etc but doesn t sound like they did much if any of those kinds of diagnostics I do have an ASUS setup disc I got with the board when I bought it that ASUS says I can use Need source for Pentium IV socket 478 motherboard or repair to reinstall the BIOS haven t tried that yet While I was poking around inside making sure there were no loose cables or other obvious simple problems I cleaned it The CPU heat sink came off the CPU so I have to get some of the heat sink grease and reattach it before I try to start it again Assuming I do need a new board I ve found that boards that will accept that old Pent IV and my ram are scarce So far just some real cheapies on Amazon and eBay Would like to find I e a refurbished direct replacement or at least something basically comparable Or even a reputable shop that may be able to repair the board if I send it to them Would much appreciate any leads or advice The machine serves my needs and I d like to avoid the cost of a new CPU and RAM Thanks nbsp

A:Need source for Pentium IV socket 478 motherboard or repair

Absolutely!

I see I failed to specify, but I need an ATX rather than a micro ATX. I did a quick search on the basic LGA 775 specs and the one I happened to see was a micro ATX, altho I imagine other forms were available?

If yours is an ATX, I'll very gratefully take you up on that.

You wouldn't happen to have a setup manual? I'm far from being very knowledgeable,
more of the typical "know enuf to get myself in trouble" level.

I would imagine I might be able to find and download a manual if you don't have one.

My zip is 89046, Searchlight NV. I'm here temporarily for a 2+ year solar-steam generating plant project, then RETIREMENT!!

Thanks so much!

Address removed for your safety. Note from mailpup: Give address in private "conversation" with Matthew.

I'd prefer FedEx ground, they deliver to me.

Let me know how much, throw in some extra for your packaging and time/trouble.
And how to send the money. If you do PayPal, add extra for their cut of course.
Or I can mail a Postal MO or whatever.
Not a huge rush, I can access my "civilian" email at work if I don't overdo it.
Thanks again!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-source-for-pentium-iv-socket-478-motherboard-or-repair.184060/
Relevancy 27.52%

I m not too tech proficient but I m getting better and decided to tackle my biggest challenge so far I took everything out of a Gateway PC replaced the PSU and put everything back into a new full tower case Everything works great except the audio Here is the problem and details I only have an onboard audio card The new case has a headphone jack on the front that connects to the quot audio quot pin connection on the bottom of the motherboard I connected this After reassembling the audio jack on the rear of the case on the motherboard I O panel does not produce sound HOWEVER the headphone jack on the front DOES produce sound I m a little puzzled because that would seem to imply the motherboard is fine Does the I panel audio ports run off after new components case to Onboard problems audio moving of dedicated Onboard audio problems after moving components to new case power or a specific power cord that I might have placed in the wrong place or backwards Any other ideas Followup question THere is something Onboard audio problems after moving components to new case wrong with the front headphone jack maybe a manufacturer defect that is causing the left speaker to crackle and be less loud almost like a bad speaker but I tested for that In the case I took everything out of there was a single AUDIO pin connection from the front panel to the motherboard But on the new case the AUDIO pin connection had an additional identically sized pin connection coming off of it about quot from the AUDIO pin connection It had some numbers on it like a voltage rating or something unsure I just left it hang loose Any help would be greatly appreciated MORE INFO Opened realtek HD Audio manager program When I plug Onboard audio problems after moving components to new case the jack into the back I O panel the corresponding area on the diagram does light up and recognize However no sound is produced when testing nbsp

A:Onboard audio problems after moving components to new case

Hi, If you replaced all the cables as they were then you should have no trouble.
The front panels are in 2 groups. The USB sockets are 1 group with a cable that runs over to the motherboard.
The front panel audio board has 2 cables that run from it to a single free socket, and that plugs onto a connector on the motherboard that has 5 pins in one row and 4 pins on the other row, with one pin empty.
But I would think it's more likely the problem is the settings in Windows.
Right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar, choose 'playback devices', and if your speakers are plugged into the back of the pc, you should see them in the list. They should have a green tick over the speakers.
If not, right click on the speaker line, and choose 'enable', that should put the sound signals onto the socket where your external speakers are connected to.
* Might also be worth testing that your external speakers are working by plugging them into something you know works, such as a mp3 player, mobile, or tape player output. It's possible the speakers are not getting power. (Power LED on one speaker).
*Also check for muted audio in Windows, and the 'on/vol' control on the actual speakers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/onboard-audio-problems-after-moving-components-to-new-case.182273/
Relevancy 28.38%

I have a HP dv7-1285dx notebook, and was wondering if you guys know the best battery replacement I can get for my money. My current battery is so shot and can't last at all. I'm hoping not to break the bank like on the HP website.

A:HP dv7-1285 battery replacement

There are a few on UK Amazon (presumably on worldwide Amazon too?) for around 30 ($47), just search "dv7-1285dx battery"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-dv7-1285-battery-replacement.181195/
Relevancy 28.81%

im starting a new project of wich im going to mod an xbox case to fit a micro atx board. i know this has been done before but i thought i would have a go as im in the market for a htpc anyway. ill be using old compents ive dug out nothing special first gen sempron and a gigabyt board 1.g gigs of ddr ram and a geforce 6200 wich is low profile so should fit nicely.. when ive got some progress ill get some pics up!

A:PC in an Xbox 360 case

Here's something that may help you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-in-an-xbox-360-case.180162/
Relevancy 28.38%

Guys im buying a new gaming pc, hoping in doing some oc in the future. I in dought in wich case i buy , im thinking on the HAF X but i dont know yet, if u have a better case that is in the same price as the HAF X or less i would be greatfull to know. THX

A:New gaming case, leaning toward HAF X

Case choice is quite subjective, just get the one which you think looks the best. The performance difference between gaming cases is pretty minimal.

IMO the HAF series are total eyesores but that's probably just me...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-gaming-case-leaning-toward-haf-x.180243/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello friends It s summer time in this part of the world and the need for good cooling has demanded acknowledgement fan poll: Opinion preference, and Case CPU pressure direction again Anyone who has lived in Texas knows what I m talking about dead To satisfy those needs on air cooling I ve come up with a mod which I will be posting in some time Now comes the problem The guide Opinion poll: Case pressure preference, and CPU fan direction will be on a quot works for me quot basis So how can I make it applicable for most people To solve that problem somewhat I ve got the option of a poll Here are the things which need to be considered Case pressure Case pressure is the pressure co-efficient of your case s airflow E g More intakes and less outlets create a positive pressure co-efficient while less intakes and more outlets create negative case pressure Note that this does not mean quot all intakes no outlets quot or quot all outlets no intakes quot It means intakes and outlets both working at different magnitudes Though this may appear irrelevant to some this has a lot of effect on the rate at which heat is vacated from the case CPU Fan direction This is a topic in which there is much disagreement Some believe a fan blowing away from a CPU is better some believe a fan blowing onto it is better However most modern systems have fans blowing onto the CPU As this changes the airflow pattern in a case it can fundamentally alter the scheme of my mod As always I m open to suggestions for improvement Any poll options will be added as necessary Cheers grinthumb nbsp

A:Opinion poll: Case pressure preference, and CPU fan direction

Added poll as per PM discussion with Marnomancer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/opinion-poll-case-pressure-preference-and-cpu-fan-direction.179431/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hello everyone!
I just need some slight help here. I just 'built' my first custom PC. I bought this Antec Nine Hundred case with Upgraded USB3.0. I thought it was cool to have extra USB built right in. I also have the x58 Sabertooth mobo. The mobo doesn't have the I/O port the USB3.0 header cord. What can I use so I can get the usb header to connect. I'm guessing some sort of PCI card. Can anyone help me out? Thank you.

A:Case has USB3.0 built in, motherboard does not have input for it

A PCI card or a PCI-E card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/case-has-usb3-0-built-in-motherboard-does-not-have-input-for-it.179612/
Relevancy 20.64%

I was running Win XP which finally failed and I was able to enter in safe mode (only, no networking) and ran all the tests I could think of. Hard drive is ok and so I attempted to repair WinXP from the installation CD. However, the PC failed to shut down and restart so I eventually force closed it. Now it won't even load past the initial black windows screen, don't even get the option of going into safe mode.

Is there any way I (or someone) could access the hard drive to retrieve the data? I guess I could reinstall the OS but don't want to do that yet as I'll definitely lose the data.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Win XP failed, repair failed -- can I access hard drive?

Sure, there are many ways. Depending on what you want in the end decides how to proceed.

If you have a lot of space free on the drive, you could boot off a linux dvd and create a new partition. You'd have to shrink the existing, then make a new one. Then you could just copy over the data from the old one to the new one. Then reinstall windows onto the old partition, and copy your stuff back (then delete the partition and expand the remaining to fill the rest of the space).

You can also just boot off a linux disk and copy it to a thumb drive or whatever.

Or you could remove the hard drive and place it in another computer.

Also, I'm not convinced you lose the data if you install Windows again. I'm pretty sure you can install without formatting the drive. Your programs won't work, but it shouldn't overwrite any of your data. This is a non-ideal solution though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win-xp-failed-repair-failed-can-i-access-hard-drive.179446/
Relevancy 28.81%

I ve had this keyboard http www amazon com Microsoft-Reclusa-Gaming-Keyboard-Black dp B MR XWK for quite a while now almost years and it has been quite an adventure The basic UI it came replacement Keyboard with was perfect as I don t Keyboard replacement want to spend hours and hours Keyboard replacement trying to figure out how to open my media player with button Leading me to my basic and very important need for a new gaming keyboard My new keyboard will need to have media controls that open things besides Windows Media Player Ituns Spotify etc I despise WMP and often click to use my music without a thought It s convenient and a luxury I no longer choose to live without I don t care whether the KB is mechanical or Keyboard replacement not as long as the keys aren t squished together raised to ridiculous quot ergonomic quot heights or covered in a rubber that will fade in a few months My reclusa has just one button that the letter has faded from in it s years of use I think that s pretty awesome when world of warcraft is basically just spamming one button for hours at a time I would like my new KB to have macro keys besides the media panel which I m assuming all gaming KBs come with today and as user-friendly as possible I looked up the BlackWidow linked as the quot Unicorn quot KB on MMO s Setup of the Month and found that quite a few people are experiencing issues with keys becoming stuck in some way or another or just failing to work at all something like - I don t want to play the lottery when I m spending this much money on a luxury item The quot Narwhal quot keyboard G seemed fantastic until I realized the keys are TINY smaller than my laptops keyboard This is just unacceptable So all-in-all guys and gals I am looking for your kind help If you ve got the perfect KB or maybe have owned one in the past that meets my needs please post its name model Very much appreciated Also what the hell is the big deal with quot mechanical quot keyboards Req Again Keys that won t fade Keys the standard or close to size Media controls for things besides WMP Easily programmable macro keys Backlit Could be red white and blue as long as it lights up with some form of lighting Not required but would be nice headphone jack that does not cut out any sound nbsp

A:Keyboard replacement

Do you know Google?
http://www.xoxide.com/gaming-keyboards.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-replacement.178757/
Relevancy 28.38%

My friend let me have his old Cooler master 430 black elite, Im having trouble with it. My computer wont turn on, I know all my components work because they just came off my old case and they worked great. The difference between my case and this new case is the system panel cords(ie. hdd led, reset sw, power led, and power sw) are all seperate meaning there are 5 different cords compared to the one that my old case used to have one bundled up. I've looked online on how to connect these and nothing seems to work. Anyone know how to connect these cords to my intel g41 chipset?

A:Computer won't turn on in new case

you can get a Q-Connector or look for a diagram of your board and it will tell you what goes where. What board do you have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-wont-turn-on-in-new-case.178020/
Relevancy 28.38%

I have a Dell Inspiron with an extended life battery that sticks out the back a little The power cord is dying - works intermittently I have a potential replacement cord that came with a different laptop I d like to use However I am uncertain if this may cause problems or even be unsafe First concern The current non-working power cord has a hexagonal cross-section male end that plugs into the laptop The replacement cord has the more typical round cylindrical end The replacement cord does fit in the laptop and it is not apparent physically that it is a problem Second Concern The current non-working hexagonal cord input matches the input on the replacement round cord as expected since they re U cord Power replacement S cords meant for U S power sources However the output is not Power cord replacement the same current non-working hexagonal cord output DC V A replacement round cord output DC V A Will the higher amperage of the replacement cord cause a problem especially a potential safety issue The laptop is left plugged in for long periods of Power cord replacement time unattended I d hate to start a fire Can someone with more electrical knowledge let me know if my concerns have merit or is my little but more than zero knowledge of electricity creating a concern where there should be none nbsp

A:Power cord replacement

gr7070 said:

First concern:
The current, non-working, power cord has a hexagonal (cross-section) male end that plugs into the laptop. The replacement cord has the more typical round (cylindrical) end. The replacement cord does fit in the laptop and it is not apparent, physically, that it is a problem.Click to expand...

If the cord will fit the plug without changing polarity, you don't have a problem there.

gr7070 said:

Second Concern:
The current, non-working (hexagonal), cord input matches the input on the replacement (round) cord, as expected since they're U.S. cords meant for U.S. power sources. However, the output is not the same.

current, non-working (hexagonal), cord output: DC 19.5V 3.34A
replacement (round) cord output: DC 19.5V 4.62A

Will the higher amperage of the replacement cord cause a problem, especially a potential safety issue? The laptop is left plugged in for long periods of time, unattended. I?d hate to start a fire.

Can someone with more electrical knowledge let me know if my concerns have merit or is my little, but more than zero, knowledge of electricity creating a concern where there should be none.Click to expand...

As long as you operate at the same voltage and supply enough current you will be fine. Same voltage as in DC or AC and the same number value for the amount of voltage.

Current values (3.34A) can be higher as long as the are not lower, your device will only draw the current it requires. If the device requires more current than is available, this is where problems start to arise.

I could go into more details but I will spare you the other un-known language. LOL

gr7070 said:

The laptop is left plugged in for long periods of time, unattended. I?d hate to start a fire.Click to expand...

I'm not going to tell you that it's not possible for it to start a fire but it's highly unlikely. The most common effect would be frying components on the inside of the power supply or PC. You might smell the components afterward but usually nothing more. As long as you stick with the same voltage and the same or more current, you shouldn't have any issues.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-cord-replacement.177463/
Relevancy 27.95%

I have look on alot of websites and havent found one that is compatible. Would like some ideas or places to look. Thanks

A:I need a replacement fan/cooler for a Nvidia GeForce GTS 250. Ideas?

try some custom cooling? maybe a heatink of an old card with some extra fans spliced in

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-need-a-replacement-fan-cooler-for-a-nvidia-geforce-gts-250-ideas.176624/
Relevancy 24.51%

I need some tips on my system rebuild I am a skilled modder repairer but this is my first motherboard cpu replace I have seen many northbridge types listed when PC rebuild/repair looking for motherboards but no mention of what northbridge type the processor is when looking at it I am PC rebuild/repair NOT dropping my OS I intend to get PC rebuild/repair the mobo gpu and ram up and bring the os up before cloning it to the replacement hdd Also the mobo I am about to list states it s dual channel memory but so is my current mobo and it has four cards so which is better four or two This PC is regularly used for watching videos and movies and playing games will be switching from console gaming with bethesda games to pc permanently Trying to keep the rebuild under tops not accounting for extended warranties however Yes Reusing all stock parts that I am not replacing will be posting replacements below Only accessories I am adding are a BT dongle and Micro usb adapter for turtle beach x and using PS controller on pc No parts purchased as of yet better to be patient and plan it out that rush in and srew something up Currently running Win Vista x and I will not up to win Have found a couple aftermarket cpu coolers but unsure which would be best to use I do like the blue led on the zalman but lighting isn t important as cooling Parts Below ZALMAN CNPS MAX-B mm Long life bearing CPU Cooler Blue LED or COOLER MASTER Hyper EVO RR- E- PK-R Continuous Direct Contact mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel and AMD FM AM Intel Core i - K Sandy Bridge GHz GHz Turbo Boost LGA W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX I K ASUS ENGTX DCII DIS MD GeForce GTX Fermi MB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card CORSAIR Gaming Series GS W ATX V v SLI Ready CrossFire Ready PLUS Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply ASUS P Z -V PRO GEN LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS CORSAIR Vengeance GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Desktop Memory Model CMZ GX M A C B or CORSAIR Vengeance GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Desktop Memory Model CMZ GX M A C Want to make a note I forgot I would love to get ahold of a new case if Asus has released it unsure of it s exact name but it is on the CG model desktop they announced in I have done some research and found that on a dual channel system running four sticks actually increases the latency due to increased load on the bus Solved that question SO in continuing the question strand How can I be certain that the northbridge type is the right one for processor Which Cpu heatsink will perform better fit better for this rebuild upgrade And lastly are there any compatibility issues I might have missed nbsp

A:PC rebuild/repair

If I remember correctly all Northbridge functions were consolidated in the CPUs beginning with the Sandy Bridge line so you should be good to go there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-rebuild-repair.176949/
Relevancy 27.95%

I am hoping one of you fine people can help me to find a replacement motherboard for my HP Pavilion p p I have gone through the Pavilion Replacement HP p6226p for motherboard needed whole troubleshooting routine -- all peripherals RAM replaced with known-good power supply amp CPU and still can not get into the BIOS setup or boot Replacement motherboard needed for HP Pavilion p6226p past the HP splash screen I m down to replacing the motherboard now This computer currently has Motherboard -- M N -LA Viola CPU -- AMD Athlon II x Quad Core Graphics -- NVIDIA GeForce Integrated I m fine with a replacement motherboard with at least equivalent graphics as I do occasionally game with my boyfriend League of Legends Magicka running on lowest settings is fine with me I Replacement motherboard needed for HP Pavilion p6226p m in the market for a new computer but would like to keep this one limping along for another months or so if all it will cost me is a motherboard I have a Frys amp Microcenter nearby located in Houston and would like to go pick up a shiny new motherboard ASAP so if you could point me to one on their site it would be greatly appreciated Thank you for your time nbsp

A:Replacement motherboard needed for HP Pavilion p6226p

Check here and make sure that you have a PayPal account:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=HP+M2N78-LA+Motherboard&_sacat=See-All-Categories

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacement-motherboard-needed-for-hp-pavilion-p6226p.175822/
Relevancy 29.24%

I want a case with a FULL size side panel window (not half of one...).
I was looking to get the NZXT apollo, but im not a very big fan of the front.
Can anyone recommend some nice cases? (if it already has LEDs, i need blue ones)
i was looking at the X-jupiter and X-telstar, but im not a huge fan of the way apevia throws their name all over the front.

A:Case for $75

Well...what size were you looking for?

This one has full view of the side and is $39 on sale, and the reviews were positive.
http://www.xoxide.com/logisys-communion-case.html

Dimension: 250 x 488 x 540mm (9.8" x 19.2" x 21.3")
Max. Motherboard size: 12" x 10"
Drive Bays: 11
4 x Open 5.25" Drive Bays
2 x Open 3.5" Drive Bays
5 x Hidden 3.5" Drive Bays
Built-in 2 front USB 2.0+ Audio Output
80mm RGBY LED Fan Included
480w SATA Cable Power Supply Included (Compatible to 20/24pin Motherboard)
1 x Rear Fan Mount (for 80mm / 90mm / 120mm Cooling Fan)
Toolless Thumb ScrewClick to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/case-for-75.174563/
Relevancy 27.95%

i want to install cooler master V10 in mid tower case..but im confused which one to pick between Cooler Master Storm Scout Black and Cooler Master HAF 912

does anybody have any idea which one should i pick.??

A:Cooler Master case recommendation needed please

The HAF 912 would be my pick... more of them out there... more in service for Cooler Master to learn from.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cooler-master-case-recommendation-needed-please.174194/
Relevancy 28.38%

I have a HP Pavilion DV7 - 4285dx which comes with a Multi DVD +/- DL blah blah whatever drive in it. (no bluray)

I would like to know if I could find a replacement bluray drive for this laptop.

Does anyone know where I could find this or if this is even possible?

I would assume its possible since that I had bought a bluray drive for my PC, and it works.

A:Pavilion DV7 Blu-ray drive replacement

After some more research I found a replacement part that should work.

For anyone looking for similar answers, the part number is 605417-001 CT21L

Just do a google search with part of that number or all to help find the correct parts.

Thanks everyone....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pavilion-dv7-blu-ray-drive-replacement.174167/
Relevancy 28.81%

can't get Dell D520 case apart to gain access for PW reset. Since I am new I cannot Private Message Paragon and I am visually impaired so trying not to break anything any assistance on this particular case is appreciated it seems to be an issue on the rear of the case near the dinn connector all screws are out and such but still will not release, any help is again appreciated.

A:D520 case will not come apart

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd520/en/sm_en/index.htm

Complete tear down manual.

Also check here for maybe an easier option

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f36/dell-d520-administration-password-68532/

Hope this helps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/d520-case-will-not-come-apart.172849/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello. I have a custom-built computer with a Gigabyte GA-KN8SC-939 motherboard with a Athlon64 3500+ processor. The motherboard had been having problems starting about a few years ago with random crashes occurring whenever devices were plugged in to now crashing and freezing up on a regular basis. I suspected it was the motherboard (no other devices were having problems, and the memory wasn't faulty), so I believe I need to replace the motherboard. However, knowing the age of this computer, I don't know if it's possible. Do you guys know of a motherboard that would have performance similar to this one and also work with a Socket 939 Athlon64 3500+ processor?

A:Need help a replacement motherboard

About the only place you will find a 939 board these days is ebay or at a computer shop that deals in used hardware. For less than $150 you can get an AM3 board Athlon II X2 and 4GB DDR3 If you want to go that route.
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz
Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE AM3
RAM:Crucial 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

A setup such as this while not exceptionally powerful by todays standards, would run circles around that old socket 930 Athlon64 3500+ processor.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-a-replacement-motherboard.171821/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hey,

I would like to get the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO for me. The problem is that I don't have a backplate cutout. Will it still be possible to install?

Thanks

A:Can I install a CPU fan backplate even though there is no cutout on my case?

Yes. You'll need to remove the motherboard in order to install the hardware on the backside of it. I have an Antec 300 case and when I installed a CM Hyper 212+, I removed the the board from the case.

More work, but doable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-install-a-cpu-fan-backplate-even-though-there-is-no-cutout-on-my-case.171524/
Relevancy 28.38%

It just started rattling and grinding and sounding terrible. It's the case fan on the back, not the side, not the power supply or the psu, I know this because I reached in and put my finger in the fan on the back, stopping it, and it was what was causing the noise.
It was so loud that I actually inhibited the fan so it's not working now. My case is open so I figured it wouldn't get too hot in there, but what can I do to fix the fan?
Blowing it out with an air can didn't do any good.

A:My case fan all of a sudden got really loud!

The bearings might be failing. It happens. You just replace the fan with a new one. It's easy and new case fans don't cost too much.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-case-fan-all-of-a-sudden-got-really-loud.171437/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello,
I will be buying for myself a hx750 PSU modular. It is 18 cm long and my case will not support it to round the cables from the back. I do not think that is a problem as the PSU is modular. My question is, should I make the output for the cables round the back of the case bigger by cutting some off or not.

Here is a picture:
Where it says 14 should be 15 cm

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Wouldn't the AX750 be better as it can fit?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hx-750-will-not-fit-into-my-current-case.171314/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi guys!

Recently, my laptop (Compaq Presario CQ50) battery passed away and unfortunately, the day after, the same thing happened to my AC adapter. Actually, the adapter itself works perfectly, except for the socket inside the laptop.

It seems this part is loose and no power can now reach my laptop. I don't care running my laptop only plugged to the wall outlet since I'm using it only in the living room. It's old and the replacement battery is quite expensive (I could not charge the battery without a working ac adapter anyways).

I was wondering if it was possible to buy only the socket and also how to replace it?

Thank you!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-repair-change-the-ac-adapter-socket.171148/
Relevancy 27.95%

Today I got in the mail my Corsair 600T case. After a couple hours of getting everything switched out, I hooked it up and was ready to go. But I get nothing. In bios, all six of my sata ports read "not detected". I have my boot 500gb in sata1 and my 2.0 TB (steam folder) in sata 2... It's so hard to find a solution for this online because it's so strange... I've hooked everything up just as it was before... And am feeling very, very helpless. If anyone has had a similar issue and somehow found a solution... Your help would be greatly appreciated!

A:Just switched over to a new case, now my HDDs aren't detected

Disregard... loose connection on the PSU

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-switched-over-to-a-new-case-now-my-hdds-arent-detected.170714/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello Techspot,

I am going to get my self a new case and a PSU. I would like to move my current system into it. Will the information on my HDD be wiped off or not.

And if there is any way please tell me. I checked the guide on Techspot but it is a bit outdated and I am not changing my motherboard.

Thanks

A:Moving system into a new case: Will my OS be wiped off?

No, it will not.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/moving-system-into-a-new-case-will-my-os-be-wiped-off.170602/
Relevancy 28.38%

I m in the process of building a new HAF a Cooler for Master 912 Case airflow help PC I have all the parts on order and they should arrive today I was looking at the case and a few other parts and got to thinking exactly how I should setup the airflow in the case Normally I would just do top back exhaust and side front intake The problem is I m Case airflow help for a Cooler Master HAF 912 using Corsair liquid cooling so that will take my Case airflow help for a Cooler Master HAF 912 back exhaust My question is with the case I have what type of fans should I use and where Also which fans should be exhaust and intake ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The case I m getting is a Cooler Master HAF The Liquid Cooling I m using is Corsair H I d link them for you but I currently cant link urls ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The case has the following slots in it for fans Cooling System -Front mm fan x or mm fan x -Top mm fan x or mm fan x -Rear mm fan x -Side mm or mm fan x It comes with two s obviously and I m putting the liquid cooling fan radiator in the back fan slot The problem with that is the radiator blocks one of the top slots so I can either go x mm on top or a mm on top I m putting a mm on the side of the case as well The case also comes with a mm in front and has room for another or you can swap the two mm s for a mm Here are my current thoughts on air layout -Rear Has to be intake for the liquid cooling radiator -Top Exhaust with a mm -Side Exhaust with a mm -Front Two intakes with two mm Oh I m also getting a RAM cooler G Skill Turbulence II FTB- C -D I dont know if that will affect how I m supposed to cool the case with the fans either hence the question here Any input as to what I should do with the fan slots I have left to fill and which ones should be intake exhaust would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Case airflow help for a Cooler Master HAF 912

The stock fans should be enough, but I have a feeling you are going to do a massive over-clock, so every piece of hardware will be affected. The rule is:
front fans blowing in
top fan blowing out
side fan blowing in

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/case-airflow-help-for-a-cooler-master-haf-912.170110/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello, I have a 2u rack mounted case in a studio. Standard dual core AM3 processor, not overclocked, used for music production.
The case has 3 x 50mm fans in front intake. Ive managed to find Fractal Design 50mm fans that are silent. But the processor fan is too loud.

I have a Gelid Solutions Slim Silence Low Profile AMD CPU Cooler, and it is far from quiet.

The case runs quite hot anyway due to the design so I dont think acoustic treatment is an option.
Can anyone recommend a quiet/silent AM3 CPU fan?
Thanks

A:Silencing a 2u case - CPU fan recommendations?

You said it yourself "The case runs quite hot anyway"... The faster a fan is designed to spin the louder it gets. The low-profile heat sinks have less heat sink area to dissipate heat so you need a faster fan. Maybe something like this will work:
Quiet-Low Profile Fan

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/silencing-a-2u-case-cpu-fan-recommendations.168654/
Relevancy 28.38%

I purchased a replacement DVD R/W for my Dell Inspiron E1505. When I start up the computer the light comes on the drive and I am able to open the drive by pushing the button on the drive. my problem is the drive does not show up on "my computer" nor in the device manager. I updated my BIOS from the Dell website but that did not fix the problem.
The seller said he tested the drive on laptop the same model as min and that it worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:DVDR replacement not seen by laptop

The optical drive may be defective. Return it for another...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvdr-replacement-not-seen-by-laptop.170051/
Relevancy 27.95%

I am replacing an old mobo due to constant running and bulging capacitors. But its my first time dinking with anything mobo related. Or really anything that isn't replacing a bad PSU.
The old one is an MSI P965 Neo-7.
The new one is a Biostar G41 DVI.
I have the CPU installed fine and went to put the heatsink on top (Ultra brand). The screw holes are too small. Of course, that's when I noticed that I didn't remove the mounting bracket for the heatsink from the back of the old mobo. But I can't get it off. It seems to be glued in using some kind of foam tape pad. The new mobo didn't come with a mounting bracket.
Is there some kind of way to remove the old mounting bracket and install it on the new mobo OR do I have to find myself a new mounting bracket (or heatsink) somewhere?

A:Heatsink mounting bracket - removal or replacement?

Usually some foam is placed between the mounting bracket and the back of the motherboard to prevent the board from getting short circuited. The foam has probably stuck to the two surfaces and hardened over time, which is why they seem glued together. If you aren't worried about damaging the old board (since you are replacing it), just pry off the old backplate with a screw driver.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/heatsink-mounting-bracket-removal-or-replacement.169958/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello fellow TechSpotians I havent posted for a bit and I was hoping we could $40-$200. your My own own? discussion Add five-case roundup have a little discussion about these cases or any that are better or comparable for a better price if you feel strongly about one I dont have in here SUGGEST IT These are my top picks from Newegg and Tigerdirect Any other sites welcomed I am looking for a new case but not in a rush It s for my work PC and I would be opening it often and adding and My own five-case roundup discussion $40-$200. Add your own? removing parts frequently maybe once a month or every My own five-case roundup discussion $40-$200. Add your own? other month So maybe not that often compared to some Here are my picks in no particular order And maybe a reason I picked it as minimal of a reason it may be I still appreciate criticism comments and suggestions ALL APPRECIATED Only requirement is to fit an ATX motherboard Now that I wrote that I think I have to double check these just in case they dont they all probably do though I think they are all FULL and MID tower cases correct me if im wrong Cooler Master RC- -KKN HAF X ATX Full Tower Computer Case Overall nice looks well build decent reviews Has wheels that come with the case Cooler Master RC- -RWN -GP Elite Mid-Tower Case Cheap good reviews Cooler Master brand choice in color Ultra ULT Mid-Tower ATX Case Oh ULTRA Removable motherboard tray other removable brackets power bar Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series T Mid-Tower Case This case got my attention not because its white Inside is nice rubber gromets holes for cable management LOCK FOR SIDE PANEL and nice latches Looks like good quality Overall good reviews Antec Lanboy LANBOY If you dont know check it out nbsp

A:My own five-case roundup discussion $40-$200. Add your own?

Oh, whoops.. did I post this in the right section? Other hardware, guess it kinda fits. Mods?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-own-five-case-roundup-discussion-40-200-add-your-own.168136/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello, I am looking to upgrade to a CORSAIR Gaming Series GS600 600W ATX12V up from my 480w psu. My question is whether or not it will fit in my current case. MY case is a Thermaltake V9 Blacx edition. Thanks to anyone who can help me.

A:Will a new PSU fit my current case

Measure the dimensions of your current power supply and then go to Newegg.com and they should list the dimensions of the Corsair.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-a-new-psu-fit-my-current-case.169736/
Relevancy 24.08%

my file system displays raw, it cannot be formatted,,
not accessible . how can i use this again?

ive searched solutions for this problem but everythng didnt worked.
ive tried the disk management method, tstdsk, chkdisk is not applicable

i also tried the easeus software, icare data recovery software, reclaimme, partition magi, killdisk, and many other recovery tools i found online.

can anyone help me what to do? pls help :dead:
thanks in advance

A:Raw flash drive, how can I repair it?

Could you tell us what flash drive you have? And how it got to be raw in the first place?

And are you sure repartitioning it doesn't work? If so then my guess is that it's probably corrupt. If you received it like this straight from the store then I would turn it back in for a refund and get a new one. Otherwise I'm curious as to how it got this way in the first place, as that may shed some light to a viable solution.

Check this too: ...vb/topic45834.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raw-flash-drive-how-can-i-repair-it.169555/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello,
I read that case fans can be installed on the motherboard or PSU. When installed on the motherboard then you can adjust the speed, however the motherboard would need to have enough power to keep the fans running or else some might stop spinning.

I will be getting the GA-990FXA-UD5 and either the Corsair HX750 or HX850. I will be using 5 case fans.

Does the motherboard have enough ports or channels for 5 fans? I heard that there are some converters for more fans or something like that. Heard a guy say it on YouTube, but he didn't say what type converter.

Thanks

A:Which is better: Installing case fans to mobo or to PSU?

Generally a motherboard will provide 4 fan headers for connecting fans. CPU. POWER and 2 x CASE/CHASSIS. If you are running more fans and are not concerned about having them speed controlled by the motherboard you can connect them directly to the PSU. Several splitters are available for connecting more fans to the motherboard. I used a splitter that allows 3 fans to be connected one header on the motherboard and a connection from PSU for extra power ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-031-AK )

This was for the use of the H50 Corsair water cooling unit when I had 2 fans running in push/pull configuration on the radiator connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard and the pump housed in the casing above the heatsink part connected to chassis fan header with no speed control enabled as it is required to run at full speed all the time. This cable allows the motherboard to control fan speeds.

Although a more basic splitter without external power connection or speed control will most likely do the job ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-013-AK&tool=3 )

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-is-better-installing-case-fans-to-mobo-or-to-psu.169511/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi all,

I'm looking for a case for a new gaming rig I'm building, which would also be used for other computer work such as video editing. The CPU will be the Intel 2400K. The case I've been reading great reviews about is the Coolermaster HAF X. I especially like it for its side window, features, quiet fans (according to reviews) and capacity (eg for long graphic cards, big coolers, etc). But this case was released around a year ago so I'm wondering if this is has sufficient airflow for an overclocked 2600K. The reviews I read all say it has excellent cooling but that would have been tested using the CPU's and components available at that time which probably run at different temperatures as today's components. What tower cases are other people on this forum using for their 2600K setups? Or are there any newer cases I should be looking at?

Thanks.

A:What case for Intel 2600K rig?

What other components you got in there? What's your budget?

The HAF X is an excellent case but there are plenty of other options as well. The HAF 932 is no slouch either at about $30 cheaper. You could even do with a good mid tower chassis like the Antec 900, CM 690 II, Thermaltake V9, etc.

Other than just room, airflow and cooling cases are also about aesthetic appeal. Take a look at some cases on newegg.com and find one that best suits your taste.

Note: There are some excellent case reviews here at Techspot. Don't forget to checkout those articles before you make your choice.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-case-for-intel-2600k-rig.169270/
Relevancy 28.38%

Okay so I have a dell xps 420, don't really want to replace much besides my gfx card, bump up from 4gbs to 8gbs of ram and obviously up my psu wattage to handle to upgrades. I don't want to replace my quad core q6600 cpu yet but I do want to overclock to about 3.0ghz. Obviously you can't overclock the cpu, or any part for that matter, in dells without physically altering the chip because of the bios limitations. My question is, when I transfer these parts into a new case with a new mobo, will I then be able to overclock the cpu?

A:Overclocking Dell parts in new case?

Putting the computer in a new case will not make a difference, but changing the motherboard will let you overclock. Before you do any overclocking, make sure you have a decent CPU cooler. The stock one probably will not be able to handle much of an overclock.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-dell-parts-in-new-case.169080/
Relevancy 28.38%

I tried to replace the keyboard on my sons Dell Inspiron and the black flip tab/clamp that holds the ribbon wire to the motherboard broke. Any ideas on where to find a replacement or how to connect it securely another way? I really don't want to buy a new motherboard and Dell doesn't offer the part by itself. Thanks in advance for any help.

A:Dell Inspiron keyboard replacement

Common trouble... I have purchased a non-working laptop just for these clips. Now I have spare motherboards that I can salvage these parts from. There's really no other way to fix this

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-keyboard-replacement.168536/
Relevancy 27.52%

So i decided to build a new computer and i got everything connected, hit the power button and the computer wont power up. I have made sure all the power cables are connected well but nothing.

using a intel dp55wg mobo
intel i5 processor
coolermaster gx-750w power supply
xion axp 100 series case.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/light-on-motherboard-and-front-panel-of-case-but-doesnt-turn-on.168774/
Relevancy 28.38%

suggest me a gud mobo as my old mobo is dead. asus preferred and budget is 100-120$ [5k-6k INR]

SYS CONFG:

DELL E2210H, C2D E8400 , 3x2GB DDR3 @ 1333mhz TRANSCEND JETRAM , 1TB SEAGATE HDD, MSI ATI R5770 running win ultimate 64bit.

PSU - 550W HUNTKEY greenClick to expand...

A:Replacement mobo for my old DP45SG

Can your Dell case hold a full ATX motherboard?

Also, if your CPU cooler is held in with 4 screws you will find you'll be needing a new cooler to go along with the new motherboard.

You may also find your new motherboard will not fit in the Dell case, so you might also need a new case to go with that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacement-mobo-for-my-old-dp45sg.168741/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello,

Easy question Can anyone recommend a case that is similar to the BitFenix Survivor?

I need a small ish case, preferably with a handle (and that will support ATX)...

I don't think there is a more suitable one to be honest!

Regards,

Alex.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/case-similar-to-the-bitfenix-survivor.168692/
Relevancy 28.38%

I've been looking for a new case and want USB 3.0 I've come to the realization it is much cheaper to buy a USB 2.0 case and add a PCI-E adapter to give USB 3 ports. Is there any down side to doing that? For example would the USB 3 ports run slower since there connected through PCI-E?

A:Adding USB 3.0 to a case that doesn't have one

I'm no expert on this, but AFAIK the PCIe interface should be fast enough. If you read about PCIe specifications on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express) the speed is much higher than the 5Gbps USB3 can reach (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_3.0).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-usb-3-0-to-a-case-that-doesnt-have-one.167727/
Relevancy 40.85%

Now another question comes up regarding modifying the cooling of my case/ computer etc.

I was wanting to carve two 3 1/2" holes in the top of my case, for two 12cm fans. Now I know fully how to do this, however, I was wondering which direction the air flow should go. Should the fans blow into my case? (Like I suspect) Or should I have them blow out?

The orange highlights are the fans I wish to add. Which direction should I have the air flow setup?

A:Case airflow question before modifying case

I would have them sucking air out. Hot air rises, and the side panel fan will hit the VGA's mb, etc and spread out, also they are right next to the PSU. You wont have any really big difference either in or out , but I would have those two pulling the hot air that manages to make it to the top of the case out. and negative pressure tend to run a bit cooler overall.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/case-airflow-question-before-modifying-case.168012/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello, this is my first attempt at addressing this issue, it seems that whenever my GPU is under load (its a Nvidia geforce gt 220 btw) it shoots up past 90 C. im rather sure its not bad airflow since all other parts of my system are running cool, including my cores (quad core) which are at maybe 45C under load.

im not sure what is causing this problem but i have to decide between purchasing extra cooling, or a new card. I was hoping someone could help me with the decision.

Thanks, Brandon

A:Graphics card overheating, ambient case temp: 40C?

also ambient room temp is at 25C

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-overheating-ambient-case-temp-40c.167008/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi guys, I have just changed my desktop pc case to a opera media case, everything seems to run well accept, my DVD writer, when I check my computer it now shows the DVD writer as a cd, where it used to show it has a DVD writer with it's samsung name, and now it won't recognise my dvd's, also my second he'd is not showing in my list of drives, but on start up it's listed as the SATA 2 drive ?, anyone can help please, thanks in advance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-media-pc-case-problems.166464/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking at this case for my new build. It seems like a nice cheap case for my build, but I'm worried about its size. I'm getting a GTX 570 which is 10.5 inches long and I've read a couple of reviews about people having trouble fitting shorter cards in there, but some reviews said that largers ones like the 570/580 could fit.

I'm just wondering if anyone had this case and could give me some insight on this. Currently this is the only thing stopping me from deciding on this case.

I was also looking at the Cooler Master HAF 922 which plenty of reviews say anything can fit in there, but its costs twice as much.

Thank you

A:Rosewill Challenger case size uncertainty

This case:
Antec 300
would serve you better. it is much sturdier than that Rosewill and ANY video card(s) will fit. I use this case so I know what I'm talking about. The price is great for the quality of this Antec!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/rosewill-challenger-case-size-uncertainty.166143/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hey guys,I'm thinking of getting a fairly used hp desktop replacement.about a year old,but seeing the article on the site about people having issues with desktop replacements,I'm having second thoughts.Can anyone recommend an alternative?

A:Is buying a CUDA desktop replacement a good idea?

What kind of budget are you working with. A desktop worth mentioning in your situation makes work sound fun again. What will you be working on? Can't think of any alternatives to a desktop replacement, besides an actual desktop. Sounds like you need something powerful to use on the go.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-buying-a-cuda-desktop-replacement-a-good-idea.164810/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi there,

I'm new the forum and could use some advice. I have experience with removing and replacing all parts of the computer except motherboards.

Cutting the long story short, I tried updating my BIOS last night and I have now ended up with a corrupt BIOS and everytime I try to boot from my Windows 7 CD it blue screens.

I think its time for an upgrade and therefore I would like some suggestions on a new motherboard. I have already bought a 1TB SATAII HDD which is on its way. I would like to replace the motherboard.

I currently have a ASUS P5N73-AM

My computer has a Quad-Core processor, I don't need the built-in Graphics card as I have a stand-alone ATI card. I have 4GB of RAM, but if possible would like to upgrade to 6 or 8.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for you help in advance,

Jon

A:Replacement motherboard - some advice?

We need to know the exact model of CPU, but from what you've said, you have a LGA775 motherboard, and DDR2 RAM. Your CPU is likely a Core2Quad, but it doesn't hurt to confirm exactly what CPU you have.

You will be limited by the fact your current motherboard is also mATX, and because most DDR2 motherboards in that format for your CPU have only two slots available, and a max RAM of 4GB - it looks like your at your maximum already.

That said, here are some I would consider (I prefer Gigabyte over everything else but its personal preference):

1. Asus P5KPL-AM EPU iG31 Socket 775 onboard VGA 6 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard 32.94 from eBuyer
2. Asrock G31M-S R2.0 G31 Socket 775 VGA Out 6 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard This supports 8GB RAM 32.99 from eBuyer
3. Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L iG31 Socket 775 onboard VGA 7.1 channel audio mATX Motherboard 33.00 from eBuyer
4. Asus P5QPL-AM iG41 Socket 775 onboard VGA 6 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard this supports 8GB RAM 34.90 from eBuyer

You will need to ensure you check your CPU is supported by the motherboards above if you wish to purchase them - or let us know and we can confirm for your peace of mind.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacement-motherboard-some-advice.163836/