Windows Support Forum

hard drive case

Q: hard drive case

are there such things as cases that store/carry hard drives? i have an old hard drive that i'm retiring, but would like to hang onto, and keep protected. any suggestions on brands or websites i could check out?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: hard drive case

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: hard drive case

try a big static-resistant bag haha =D

u can easily get them off a video card u install and have an extra bag...or you can go to a little computer repair shop near you and see if you can grab some there

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-case.154084/
Relevancy 67.51%

I see it can be done from an installed to an external, but can it be done in reverse, taking the external cased hard drive and cloning it to an internal? The old hard drive is from an xp laptop, and I can aquire another xp laptop if I can clone this way. Perhaps if I set the enclosure hard drive as master? All ideas are greatly appreciated. Many thanks

A:Clone a laptop hard drive from an external case to an internal hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clone-a-laptop-hard-drive-from-an-external-case-to-an-internal-hard-drive.1037757/
Relevancy 62.35%

I purchased a Sabrent 3.5 IDE external drive case so I can put in a Western Digital 500gb PATA drive. When we plug it into the USB port, it starts to recognize the drive and Windows 7 says that it is installing the driver and then we get the message driver installed failed. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this recognized?

The manufactures website says the drive is recognized up to a 3tb and supports Standard Desktop 3.5″ IDE/PATA Desktop Hard Drives. It is a model ECS-U35K

Thanks

Paul DiModica

A:External Drive case not recognizing hard drive

Hello dimodical,

Try opening up Disk Management with the external drive connected. See if Disk Management see the drive or not. If it sees the drive right click on the drive and try to initialize\format the drive.

Hope this helps

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/453040/external-drive-case-not-recognizing-hard-drive/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have an extra Maxtor 30GB HDD and am considering using it in a case but that is dependent upon what I may learn here.
My AMD system is described below. I think I may want to use this as an additional means of a backup for my PC.
I am hoping to see some replies giving the pros/cons and the type case and link to it that I may consider buying.
As usual, TIA.
Happy and SAFE July 4th to all.

Relevancy 61.06%

Our computer went out about 2 weeks ago (the cache memory went out) and so we replaced it with a new computer, but we had just purchased and installed a new hard drive 3 months previous. We would like to save our old hard drive and we were told that if we bought an enclosure for it then we can hook it up to the computer, retrieve our files and use it as an external hard drive. My question is I am not sure what size case to buy. I went online and looked at external enclosures and the sizes are 2.5 or 3.5, but when I measured our hard drive it was 5 inches X 5 1/2 X 1/2 ", so now I am not sure what size enclosure I need. If someone could help me I would appreciate that.

A:Hard drive enclosure/case

If there is an enclosure sold for that unusual, but once common, hard drive, I don't know where you would find it.
You apparently have one of the very good, but unusually sized hard drives from the 90's that was found in several Gateway, HP, and Compaq computers... They came in various sizes from 3 GB to 12 GB to 20 GB... They will connect fine, but there is no enclosure.
You may need a tech's help, or some body experienced in saving data so you do not damage or lose what you have.
You need, temporarily, an IDE or EIDE computer... not one with a SATA drive...
But you can also use that drive WITHOUT the Enclosure... just the connector if you have total control of your working space.
I can send you a photo, but describing it is cumbersome.
Some enclosured require you to mount the drive (3.5 inches) in the enclose. Some do not.
One end has a power socket and a USB port with a small circuit board that is 4 inches wide and 2 inches long... with power cable and EIDE cable.
This will fit nicely on your hard drive, but it may be difficult for you to know how to do it unless you have experience putting your hands inside the case.
The device costs $27 to $40 depending on where you buy it.
one power cable goes to the power socket on the hard drive. The other cable, an EIDE 80 conductor, 40 connector cable connects to the computer business end of your hard drive.
Then you would place it on a non-conductive surface on a table or desk that will not be used for anything else until you are done.
Once it is connected, you plug the USB cable into the old drive contraption above and the other end into the computer in which the data will be moved.
The device has a power adapter that looks like the adapter to a laptop. It plugs into the wall on one end, and into the contraption on the other end.
With the power switch on, the hard drive acts like any other "Slave" drive, and you drag and drop or search or whatevefr from the computer... moving the data to the new computer.
You need to know something about how the file structure works.
If you are copying the address book, you need to know what software created the address book, and what email software created or saved the email files.
It is complicated to describe, but easily done.
I will be happy to send you a photograph onf one setup, and discover the brand name of the one that will work best for you, or even do it for you without charge.

It will be helpful for you to make several notes about what some of the file names might be, and what software created them.
It will not copy the programs in a workable format. You will still need to reinstall the software to from the original source in order to run the programs... but word, excel, powerpoint, photographs, images, Quickbooks, and other programs will read these files as they would any other.
We are open to questions if we are not clear enough.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-enclosure-case.134257/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hey there.

Over the next few weeks or so I'll need to carry around my hard drive from home to work. Hard drives seem pretty fragile. Is there a case I can buy to carry it around and give it protection from the elements and magnets? Is there anything that I can build just out of domestic products?

Thanks,
NomadFunk.

A:Hard Drive Carrying Case

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=pf&pvid=pca12

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-carrying-case.77442/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi.

What is better to get for an external hard drive: a 3.5" case or a 5.25" case which may include a fan in the back? The reason I ask is that I am looking at the two cases below:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-146-184&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-145-316&depa=0

and was wondering which was better when it comes to heat.

Thanks.

Relevancy 60.2%

This may sound a little bit funny but over the last several days one of my USB Hard drives has been disappearing from My Computer I have checked inside of Computer Managment to see it is their and it says it has to initialize drive hard XP the The in of disappearing case Windows it aka format So I used a program called GetDataBack for NTFS Version and when it is in the middle of scanning the drive the drive letter appears again Only to find a few hours later it is gone in My Computer and The case of the disappearing hard drive in Windows XP an unallocated drive in Computer Management saying it has to initialize it I can t figure this out I have ran a scandisk on the drive The case of the disappearing hard drive in Windows XP and booted into Windows Recovery to perform a scandisk but it doesn t go away I have had this drive for almost a year without any problems I am wondering if it could be the drive failing or some other hardware issue I am attaching my Event Viewer System log nbsp

A:The case of the disappearing hard drive in Windows XP

Initializing a disk does not format the disk.
The disk is assigned a drive letter and should then autoplay.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-case-of-the-disappearing-hard-drive-in-windows-xp.102210/
Relevancy 60.2%

Does anyone know where I can find an external SATA hard drive case with SATA internal connection and USB and SATA external and if possible, firewire external connection. I have a SATA hard drive and would like to make it portable but would like to keep the SATA speeds when possible.

Thanks!

Relevancy 60.2%

Hi

I have a 3.5 harddrive taken from a laptop and I bought a ENCLOSURE USB EXTERNAL CASE and I am having difficulties putting them together.

Does anyone has a user guide on how to attach them together.

Thank you.

Relevancy 60.2%

In my computer, my 250 gig works great, but once I put it into my external enclosure, when I go to it in My Computer it says that it isn't formatted and needs to be before I can use it (PLUS, in disk management it says that it is limited to 31.50 gig) Someone please help ASAP, i spent all last night trying to get this thing working! thanks-

m

[email protected]

Relevancy 60.2%

Okay, this has been happening for around a week now. Admittedly, my available hard drive space is usually on the low side, but I swear I had over 1 GB free last week, and I've been saving most of my downloads to an external hard drive. The only things that I've been saving on the main hard drive are pictures and text files.

Yet my space keeps disappearing. I have a go-to directory of backed-up videos that I can delete from my hard drive, and I do that whenever my free space reaches 0 GB. I deleted a video that was around 143 MB just a few minutes ago and emptied the Recycle Bin, and my free space is already down to 117 MB.

Considering I haven't downloaded any big files to this hard drive recently, there's a lot of previously freed-up space that's simply unaccounted-for now. I have Windows 8. What could be causing this?

A:The case of the disappearing hard drive space

Hi there,

Please download WinDirStat and you'll be able to find out what's hogging the space in your hard drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/the-case-of-the-disappearing-hard-drive-space-884281.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi,
Have a pc with the Windows 7 Product key sticker on the case, but no hard drive. Can I install a hard drive and use this product key?

Thanks,
Joe

A:Windows 7 Product key on case, but no hard drive.

Yes. I can't see any reason why not.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/332729-windows-7-product-key-case-but-no-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Looking at hard drive cases I m trying to find a decent one that s is quietly fanned stackable USB nad eSata connected for tg Sata In addition I ll have tb internal backup and am thinking about putting a cloned drive ready to go in the external case One feature I would like to see is some form of disconnect to totally seperate from the power supply I ve heard of shielded case best - quality ext hard seeking drive eSata ports - could anyone elaborate on these If I can t find a high seeking best ext hard drive case - quality quality stackable I like http www antec com usa productDetails php lan us amp id though it s pricey for a case as much as the drive Only drawback I see is the drive seeking best ext hard drive case - quality install isn t the easiest from the vids I ve seen on it but I think its built On another note is there really any difference between eSata and Sata I have an eSata header on motherboard that is connected to a pci slot But technically can t a straight Sata cable go right from Sata cable right out the case - Not entirely clear on the backplane concept nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/seeking-best-ext-hard-drive-case-quality.777593/
Relevancy 60.2%

I read an old post that said you can get a case for a hard drive (from a desktop, not laptop) and be able to access files (but not software) and a link to Newegg.com was included. I went to that site and am not sure how to choose the right one - do I need an AC adapter? And how do I know which internal interface I need?

The hard drive is in an emachines T3828 and is 80 GB, if that helps. My daughter had stories she had written stored on it - getting them off and ditching the rest is the goal. (The power switch seems to have died)

Thanks!

Relevancy 60.2%

I would like to open the case of a Western Digital media center combo without destroying it. It appears to be designed with tabs and slots to snap together. There are no visible screws or rivets. I'm sure a knowledgeable service tech could pop it open easily given a few hints. WD tech support is unhelpful. Does anyone in this forum know the trick?

Relevancy 59.77%

i pulled the HD from my laptop and placed it in an 2.5" adaptec enclosure case. connected to both front and back USB ports. tried it connecting both USB cables, then only one (comes with two). Light always comes on, disk whirrs, "eject" icon shows up in system tray, but i can't see the device or files at all in explorer. tried the new 2.5" on a school computer and it worked just fine, so i'm guessing the new case is not the problem. my USB flash drive and printer work fine when they're connected (not now though). i have another 3.5" adaptec enclosure case that works just fine on this comp. there are no outstanding windows updates. also installed drivers that came with the case. i appreciate any assistance you can give me. thanks.

Relevancy 59.77%

I am looking into purchasing an external hard drive case for a hard drive for extra storage and portability. While looking at them, I see that some are made with aluminum so that the drive stays cool while others have fans. Does an aluminum case keep the drive cool enough?

A:External Hard Drive Case Heat Concern

Yes, the heat dissipation will probably be better than it would be internally fitted.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-case-heat-concern.261417/
Relevancy 59.77%

So I have 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momen...nternal/dp/tech-data/B00194EQZG/ref=de_a_smtd

and one of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204018

I have 3 spots left in my case to mount HDDs. How can I do this? I have searched through Google with no luck and I'm basically a hardware noob. Or, probably the best option, would be to just mount the terabyte drive and access the other harddrives via USB in a very inexpensive way. (Bottom line is to access the seagate drives as inexpensively as possible, then to mount the fantom drive if possible)

Thanks for your time,
Mike

Relevancy 59.77%

Last spring my Aspire - which I'd only Hard - Aspire Case 7250-0209 for Drive had a year and a half or so met up with a leaking water bottle as I was toting it to a horse show where Aspire 7250-0209 - Case for Hard Drive I was going to use it for some scoring After it dried out I could get it to power up the light on the DVD drive would go on I could hear the hard drive spinning but nothing happened with the screen I Aspire 7250-0209 - Case for Hard Drive tried connecting it to an external monitor and nothing happens so I surmise the video card is fried nbsp nbsp Therefore it's time to open things up and harvest the hard drive I did this before with the assistance of some knowledgable friends and was able to put the hard drive into an inexpensive case that I bought online and it functioned Aspire 7250-0209 - Case for Hard Drive more or less like an external hard drive What I am wondering is what are the physical dimensions of the hard drive for this machine and what types of cables will I need I would like to buy the case ahead of time before I open things up and start fussing with it My other alternative is to take it to a local computer shop where a friend just had similar work done but that guy charged to do it and that's money I'd rather use for something else Thanks for any advice you might have Solved Go to Solution

A:Aspire 7250-0209 - Case for Hard Drive

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know. Last time I did this, the first case I bought was wrong and I'd rather not play trial and error again. I appreciate your help.

View solution in original post

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/Aspire-7250-0209-Case-for-Hard-Drive/td-p/428723/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 59.77%

I am building my own custom case does anyone know were i can buy the hard drive enclosures or bays already made I was looking for some 3.5 and the 5.25 or whatever size also for the cd roms. I am sure you can probably buy these somewhere but i guess i am not searching the right keyword.
Thanks Mr. Bill

Relevancy 59.77%

So I want to buy the following item from eBay.
It says that the max size it supports is 300GB.
My hard-drive is 320GB

Will:
a) the external hard-drive CASE recognize the HDD as 300GB and function normally?
or-
b) the external hard-drive CASE not recognise the HDD at all due to it being too big.

Thanks for your speedy help!

A:Question about 2.5" external hard drive case

A 320GB hard drive actually works out to be about 298GB. I believe the only way to know if the drive will work is to try it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-2-5-external-hard-drive-case.883734/
Relevancy 58.91%

I use an WD external hard drive (1TB) for additional storage and it was working fine with no issues. The small USB connector broke off the board yesterday and I purchased a new enclosure and installed it. Now my computer does not recognize it as a storage device. I have all the data still on the HD and really do not want to loose it. Any advice on how to get the computer to recognize the external hard drive?

I tried adding a letter for the drive, but it does not show up to change the letter of the drive.

The PC is an HP that is about 4 months old. Windows 7, 64 bit.

Thanks for the assistance.

A:Existing external hard drive installed in new case, does not recognize

if the Hard drive is a SATA varient and not a IDE (which unless its ollld it wont be)

then you can simply open up your new pc case, and connect the drive directly to your motherboard using a SATA lead, and a serial power connection from your power supply.

If you dont have a spare SATA cable, then for now you can just use the power cable and lead from your DVD drive. This will allow you to back up your data for now, and will determine if the drive still works or not.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/206050-existing-external-hard-drive-installed-new-case-does-not-recognize.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I am searching for the best FIRE WIRE/USB COMBO Hard Drive Enclosure/ Case?

I would like usb 2.0 and firewire. Are these usb backward 1.0 capable from 2.0?

I don't want to go crazy with the price (approx. 35.00- 55.00). Can I get one for that price and where might i get it.

I have a western digital 8 MB Cache 200 gig HD (PURCHSED FOR 50.00 with rebates) and don't want to spend much more on the Enclosure.

(The drive states that I need 3.5 bay, ide interface and cd-ROM drive)

Thank you

A:FIRE WIRE/USB COMBO Hard Drive Enclosure/ Case?

I'm using a pair of these http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-145-340&depa=0 and I have no complaints with them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fire-wire-usb-combo-hard-drive-enclosure-case.302025/
Relevancy 58.91%

I am searching for the best FIRE WIRE/USB COMBO Hard Drive Enclosure/ Case?

I would like usb 2.0 and firewire. Are these usb backward 1.0 capable from 2.0?

I don't want to go crazy with the price (approx. 35.00- 55.00). Can I get one for that price and where might i get it.

I have a western digital 8 MB Cache 200 gig HD (PURCHSED FOR 50.00 with rebates) and don't want to spend much more on the Enclosure.

(The drive states that I need 3.5 bay, ide interface and cd-ROM drive)

Thank you

A:FIRE WIRE/USB COMBO Hard Drive Enclosure/ Case?

Please only post the same query in one section, this has been asked and answered elsewhere.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fire-wire-usb-combo-hard-drive-enclosure-case.302026/
Relevancy 58.91%

Does anyone know how to open a Sony TXN case? My harddrive is dying, the system is out of warrantee, and I have a new toshiba zif drive on the way.

But I can't see how to open the case?

If anyone knows how to get the case open I'd greatly appreciate some advice!

Thanks!

Russ

Relevancy 58.05%

My Computer freezes and stops working only when im downloading a torrent or try to stream!
The Red Blinking light (Which im sure is for the Hard Disk) stops blinking once these freezes happen
When it freezes sometimes i cant even restart it with the restart button on the case and have to take its cable out.The problem has been on my computer for a year but i havent tried fixing it.

I had a blue screen of death once but that was months ago.
Havent ReInstalled Windows even once since ive got it last year.

Sidenote: I sometimes have Administrator problems and cant do some stuff when i am the administrator could that be the problem?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/379469-computers-freezes-computer-cases-red-light-hard-drive-stops-blinkin.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Looking to buy an external hard drive for backup. This will be used only to backup data periodically. This is certainly a good price ($140):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1474205

I've never heard of it. Anyone have any experience with that brand?

A:Opinions on BeyondMicro External Hard Drive?-or recommendations on External Case?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/opinions-on-beyondmicro-external-hard-drive-or-recommendations-on-external-case.381320/
Relevancy 53.75%

There I was, sitting in a cold dark room, nothing but me and that hunk of metal I call Dolores, doing her Win 7 Pro computing thing.

Then I notice, something amiss. Her C: drive, an SSD, with no restore points set, no pagefile.sys, is down to 24.3 GB open. That's okay. But then later in the day, something suspicious happens. She's been eating something without my knowing. 21.4 GB. Then 20.3 GB. Finally, a week later, red zone alert, only 13.7 GB left open. Hmmm...

So I reverted to an image back in time to when there was 23.6 GB left. And she starts the same "diet" process, losing open space daily. Rebooting changes nothing.

So I've come to you, great detectives. Any idea what might be causing this?

A:"The Case of the Disappearing Hard Drive Space"

Download TreeSize to see what's taking up the space.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/349880-case-disappearing-hard-drive-space.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I backed up files from one 1TB eSATA drive to another 1TB eSATA drive. It now occurs to me that it might have been better to have installed the backup drive in my computer case [less clutter on my desk].

Not wanting to do the backup all over again, can I simply install the drive in my computer without having to reformat the drive [and lose everything]?

Thanks in advance.

A:Can I move eSATA Drive into case without reformatting the drive?

I wouldn't think you should encounter any problems by installing it in your case. After doing some searching I couldn't find anthing that says it won't work.Fabe

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/99486-can-i-move-esata-drive-into-case-without-reformatting-drive.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Not really sure what forum to post this in but I m sure it s not software-related so hardware seemed best I want to replace my wife s laptop amp ever since I found a purple Acer netbook for her she s been after me to replace it with a purple laptop and I just haven t been able to find suitable laptops in any color except blank or silver Why What s so hard case? What's so hard about a colored about a What's so hard about a colored case? colored case I m sure somebody will point me to Dell which did make laptops in colored cases and maybe still does-but no longer for a high-performance quot laptop that I can find and I even chatted with a sales rep who seemed to lose interest as soon as I said I wasn t going to buy right now It just doesn t make sense to me-it s just colored plastic so why is there nothing except black Even the silver white option seems to be disappearing at least for quot system Anybody know why nbsp

Relevancy 46.44%

I ve looked PC a case? it is How to upgrade hard at other posts but haven t been able to find the specific info I am looking for I have a Compaq Presario SR NX and I have successfully upgraded the power supply ram DVD drive and went from a integrated graphics chip to a graphics card The case that I have is very poorly ventilated and I would like to get a new one I know my Motherboard is a Micro Atx and I d want to purchase a Cooler Master CM Nvidia Edition ATX case How hard is it to upgrade a PC case? which according to the specs can fit either a ATX or Micro ATX motherboard My question is that I have done about all the upgrading I want with this PC so how hard is it to migrate the guts of my current PC into a new case Do How hard is it to upgrade a PC case? I have to re-install everything like the Motherboard drivers OS graphics and all of that Or do I just take everything How hard is it to upgrade a PC case? out of the current case and stick it in the new case and hit the on button Thanks for your time Compaq Presario Intel Celeron D GHz Windows Vista Basic SP GB Ram GB Hard Drive Nvidia BFG GeForce GT GB PCI-E Driver BFG Watt Power Supply Samsung p Monitor digital driver X BD-ROM LG Ultra BLue Alhena Motherboard nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

I bought an external drive case almost case the all drive of functions should right? Drive USB external months ago and was unable to install windows XP with it the bios was set so it would be the first boot device it booted and recognized windows XP but you could only get so far into the process of installing it I vaguely remember getting to the point where you decide your disk USB external Drive case should all functions of the drive right? partitions but then some standard error I know I should have written it down both the external case and the CDRW were brand new So I ended up getting XP to install with the same disk drive hooked up to the IDE cable instead didnt really know if it worked that time because it wasnt in the external case or if it just happened to work for some other reason so I just left the CDRW hooked up to the IDE cable as I was really planning on getting a DVD drive to put into the case anyway sort of a portable DVD player for computers the way I figured it but anway Iv just now gotten around to buying an LG DVD RW and put it in the external case wich is Manhatten brand and the computer recognizes it and all as a USB DVD-RAM drive Device manager says it working and all that but it doesnt seem to recognize any disks I put in it says the Disk is the wrong format when I try to watch a DVD no matter what kind of disk I put in it Iv tried to watch two DVDs on it and it wont even let me make a data disk with the software bundled with it you can get to about the last step and the browse button the one to decide what quot Current Recorder quot will be used to make the DVD data disk is empty click on it but nothing drops down and so the quot Burn quot button remains greyed out and yes Im useing real g blank DVD-R and the two DVD movies are factory like what you would rent at the Video shop the procedure works fine with the same software when I try to use my CD RW drive to burn a disk I havent yet taken the obvious step of trying the DVD drive on an IDE cable quot dont really want to cuz my case is full and its late and I got work tommorow and Im just lazy quot but just incase theres something I dont know about these external Cases I want to ask if these cases are supposed to give the full functionality of the device inside and allow you to do anything with it that you would if it were hooked to an IDE Cable or if anyone have any easy answers before I devote hours to researching this stuff or unnecessarily return this case if theyll even take it back after this long actually Iv already done some reading of the product manual that came on the software bundle disk and I ran the standard windows troubleshooting step by step help thing that always yields such wonderfull results and got lost in some DVD literature on random googled web sites but finding what your looking for on the web is like looking for a needle in a haystack even if you know its there and I just dont have that kind of attention span nothing beats a straightforward human to human question ------- tried to edit the title of this thread to fix that mistake but it wont change nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

I have a quot sharkoon rapid case Sata quot which is an external Case Disk Solved: in Hard usb enclosure for SATA HDDs I bought just today a brand new quot WESTERN DIGITAL GB WD AAKS CAVIAR SE SATA quot HDD and I instaled it in the Solved: Hard Disk in Case case I know the case works because I used Solved: Hard Disk in Case it before but Solved: Hard Disk in Case because the HDD now inside is new I want to know what software I need to make it run like a Plug and Play External Hard Disk Note that when I connect it now the quot safely remove hardware quot icon appears on the taskbar buy there is nothing in My Computer Also when I doubleclick on the quot safely remove hardware quot icon and check quot Display device components quot the HDD appears under the USB Mass Storage Device When you go into it s Properties --- gt Volumes and click Populate it s status appears to be quot Not Initialized quot Hope you can Help Thanx in Advance nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

How can i remove my Western Digital CASE i want to take the hard disk and plug it into my Pc and see if i can view my files cause i don't want to lost them

A:How can i remove case from hard disk?

Is this an external drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/143481-how-can-i-remove-case-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I was thinking about getting a new computer and was wondering what the best case would be to fit multiple hard drives. I have a scorpio midtower that can hold about 6, and a Dell that can only hold 2. Do full tower cases hold more than midtower?

Relevancy 45.58%

I am aware of the CTRL+ALT+DEL combination, and the ability to kill and re-run explorer.exe. But this is not always enough.
For example, my Windows once hanged during rebooting to install updates. It kept displaying the message "Do not poweroff the computer, installing update 1 of 1" for a few hours. Not knowing what to do, I resorted to holding that power button for a few seconds...
In such case, if I'm not mistaken, CTRL+ALT+DEL won't work. So, just to be on the safe side: In case of real trouble, how to avoid having to hard reboot the PC?
Is there, for example, any equivalent of the Linux Raising Elephants combination? Or are there any other ways to do this?

Thanks in advance.

A:How to avoid hard rebooting in case of OS unresponsivity?

In some cases, depending on what section of the OS or the system itself is locked up, you might be able to gain remote access and then "gracefully" shut down Windows and the computer from there, instead of force crashing it with the power button. But, this requires networking and other functions are still working, not frozen - and they may be locked up too. And, you would have to have remote access setup and functional full time (since you cannot predict when the lockup will happen) before the problem occurs. And from a security standpoint, that is NOT acceptable to me.

So, that being the case, I recommend waiting it out to see if Windows can sort itself out. But if no luck after 1 hour, killing the power and forcing a hard-crash is your only option. Of course, that is not ideal either because that can result in corrupt system files and an unbootable system - but then if your system is already hung, that may already be a problem. That just illustrates another reason why we should ALWAYS have a current backup of any data we don't want to lose.

If you are still having problems with Windows Update, see How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/56333-how-avoid-hard-rebooting-case-os-unresponsivity.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Have hard drive failure and can't get case open... Any suggestions?

A:How do I open AZC-606-ES20 case to change hard dri...

to reach the HDD you must unscrew the backpanel screws and slide off your DVD drive. about HDD failure, if you received a message about "missing boot device", probably is a SATA cable issue and need to be replaced with part number 50.U86D5.002 by the way i suggest you to contact Acer support service if in warranty or a computer shop to have it serviced, replacing this cable is not the easy thing to do.

http://community.acer.com/t5/All-In-One-PCs/How-do-I-open-AZC-606-ES20-case-to-change-hard-drive/td-p/402960/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi Hope one of you can help I recently bought a hard drive case as I had two hard drives an old PC one and a old PS one that I wasn t using and thought that they may come in useful for storage The first hard drive an old PC hard drive was fine and worked for a short while until my PC and my sons PC stopped recognising it was plugged in I then exchanged that hard drive for the other spare that I had This only worked for an hour-or-so until that died I now seem disk hard case External misery... to have two dead hard drives within a short space of time that both used the same external case to connect to my PC Woould it be possible that the case I External hard disk case misery... m using could be killing the drives The case uses a Y lead and I have tried the single connection and both at the same time but the hard drivres aren t detected by my PC What would my options be here Cheesr External hard disk case misery... C h r e d g e nbsp

A:External hard disk case misery...

Have you tried hooking Hard drive direct to the PC if possible?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-case-misery.1051878/
Relevancy 45.15%

I m amateur pc user Been trying fix problems all week Changed power box due to over heating used AVG amp Superantispyware Keeps asking to reboot and choose boot device and several hints of mysterious behavior inside machine Feels like something is eating it restore&recycle hard 2nd bin&2nd problem,system hard drive vanished, drive Unknown paranoid spirituality Anyone know what s going on Please be gentle with me Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Unknown problem,system restore&recycle bin&2nd hard drive vanished, 2nd hard drive Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C Program Files x IObit Advanced SystemCare AWC exeC Program Files x ASUS AASP aaCenter exeC Program Files x SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exeC Program Files x Kontiki KHost exeC Program Files x IObit Advanced SystemCare Sup SmartRAM exeC Program Files x DT Utilities DT Utilities PC Backup Pro mgCtrl exeC Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exeC Program Files x AVG AVG avgtray exeC Program Files x Entriq MediaSphere EntriqMediaTray exeC Program Files x Entriq MediaSphere EntriqMediaServer exeC Windows Integrator exeC Program Files x Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www facebook com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files x AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dllO - Hosts localhostO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO ContributeBHO Class - C DC - - A A- D-C C - C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dllO - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dllO - BHO AskBar BHO - f d - - d - c -aa e ed - C Program Files x AskBarDis bar bin askBar dllO - BHO QFX Software KeyScrambler - B F - A - - E -C B BC E - C Program Files x KeyScrambler KeyScramblerIE dllO - BHO AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files x AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files x google googletoolbar dllO - BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files x Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dllO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dllO - BHO Google Gears Helper - E FEFE -FBF - AE-BA - CA E FB - C Program Files x Google Google Gears Internet Explorer gears dllO - BHO SmartSelect - F EE -DAA - - - D EE A - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files x google googletoolbar dllO - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - Toolbar Contribute Toolbar - BDDE -E A - -B E- B B FC - C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dllO - Toolbar Ask Toolbar - d e-fd b- e -b - d b f - C Program Files x AskBarDis bar bin askBar dllO - Toolbar AVG Security Toolbar - CCC A -B CA- -B A - F ... Read more

A:Unknown problem,system restore&recycle bin&2nd hard drive vanished, 2nd hard drive

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREPlease download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main MirrorThis version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped MirrorThis version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/313758/unknown-problemsystem-restorerecycle-bin2nd-hard-drive-vanished-2nd-hard-drive/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,

I do have an IDE HDD Case which has Power Adaptor and a USB connector, which allows to use the old IDE HDDs as external HDD, which is working fine for the other 40GB HDD, but not on 160 GB HDD (which was working about a year ago).

Sine then I never used this device and it was kept at a safe place, no damage happened to it.

But now I have Windows 8 on all my devices, and on all devices (laptop and desktop) the Hard Disk is being shows like this in Tasks Bar as:

and on Desktop:

Can anybody tell me the solution?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/62347-ide-hard-disk-case-not-letting-windows-identify-hdd.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have extra hard drives that I want to use with my computer but I do not have any expansion slots left to put the drives in my case is an GB rpm is a GB rpm and rd is a SCSI GB K rpm I previously had purchased a computer case that is just that -- a plain computer case no cables power supply nothing It has LOTS of slots for hard drives I am wondering if I can put the extra drives in the empty case and connect them to my computer that I regularly use via usb or firewire as if the drives were in a regular external case If I did this would my computer I am using get overheated or too much power needed from it -- if so how can i correct this If I were to do this would I need a power supply in the other case -- what case? External an computer -- Hard extra Drives in strength Any other helpful information would be appreciated nbsp

A:External Hard Drives -- in an extra computer case?

Your best bet would be external drive enclosures and hook them up USB/Firewire. Look here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactory.asp?catalog=92&DEPA=0

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives-in-an-extra-computer-case.347635/
Relevancy 44.72%

I had a thread someone drive-question xp hard Solved: drive if win98 windows time?? hard has with earlier and forgot to ask a couple Solved: windows xp hard drive with win98 hard drive-question if someone has time?? of questions I was told I could take a hard drive from a windows computer and the person is buying a new Windows xp so I can hook up the win hard drive as a slave to the new computer with win xp so I can drop and drag or cut and past files that they want off the hard drive put on their new computer Now If their new computer with the win xp on it if there is an ide cable going to the hard drive and nothing else then I can hook up the win hard drive to the same ide cable as a slave and no problem However if the windows xp computer has the hard drive on the ide cable and also the cd-rom then is it ok just to hook up another ide cable to their mother board and hook the hard drive from the windows computer on the end of that ide cable as the master and by turning the computer off and then hooking up the hard drive and then turning the computer back on it should reconize the windows hard drive in my computer right away right If I would have to put the windows hard drive in the new computer on a seperate ide cable is it ok to have it as master cause the hard drive that is already in it would be master to but it would be on a different ide cable I am hoping the new computer just has the hard drive on an ide cable by itself so I can just hook the other one up as a slave and get the files and be done with it How ever if someone could give me a couple or three scenario s with ide cables and hooking this up I would be very much appreciatetive It would be a new computer with windows xp home or pro and wanting to hook up a hard drive from an old computer with windows to get the files off from it Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: windows xp hard drive with win98 hard drive-question if someone has time??

Yes - you understand it correctly

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-hard-drive-with-win98-hard-drive-question-if-someone-has-time.388045/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi I am in the process of doing a clean re-install of Windows XP for Home on my PC I have hard drives c gb Maxtor SATA drive - bootable with Windows seeing Hard - Problems, drive new not Bootup Drive hard Help Windows required Options XP existing Windows install d gb Maxtor IDE drive Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options - non bootable data drive g gb Maxtor IDE drive - bootable with the clean install of Windows XP for home on it Windows is not seeing all the sizes quite right yet but I will tackle that when I have solved Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options this major problem that follows If I boot from the C drive - I have no problems at all Windows will see all the different drives as it should do I can access them all and they all work fine When I come to boot the clean install on drive G windows changes the drive letters - G becomes C D remains as D but the gb Maxtor SATA drive isn t Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options seen at all and might as well not exist Disk Management within Windows is no help as it can t see the drive Maxtor software MaxBlast is also no help as it can t see the drive on this install either I have checked and rechecked the BIOS but have pretty much discounted any issues here as it clearly shows all drives and all drives are listed on boot up It s just when Windows kicks in that I have the problem I guess it s a simple setting somewhere but I am pulling out what little hair I have left trying to think what it is - so any ideas would be very gratefully received Thanks in advance and kind regards Stuart nbsp

A:Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options

Hi
This is what I would do to enhance performance and storage strategy:

1. Use the 20g for the os and housekeeping utes such as av, spyware, etc only, nothing else goes on that drive.
2. Use the 160g for apps installs.
3. Use the 200g for data.

This might get you past the bios/firmware/os/drive letter issue and make better use of the drives. The 20 isn't really good for storage anymore, but would be great for an os/system ute drive. It's performance is less than the other drives, but that's ok, most of the os will stay in ram anyway after boot, you won't make any real diff having a faster os drive.
You might want to place a pagefile on each drive so pageing can occur concurrently too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-bootup-problems-help-required-windows-not-seeing-new-hard-drive-options.34935/
Relevancy 44.72%

Windows XP Professional Service Pack build gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache WDC WD BB- FTA Hard drive GB -- drive s n WD-WMAET rev and Multiple drive clicking, hard drive freezing errors, hard boot R SMART Status Healthy Hard drive Just a few weeks ago my hard drive started clicking and suddenly my system froze The drive wasn't dropped bumped or anything like that It was fairly new as well I was having some issues accessing my files AND I couldn't access the internet through any browsers Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing I was connected could play internet-using games but got no reply from websites I decided to reformat Well that didn't go so well Reformatting did not fix the freezing issue nor did it fix the internet issue I attempted to reformat the partition on C but it Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing simply wouldn't let me Hard drive I pulled out a newish hard drive and formatted it installed my applications and continued on my way Everything was working great until a day later when the hard drive AGAIN froze in the middle of a session and this time I couldn't even boot I was getting a boot error that mentioned not receiving a boot file name I went into the windows repair console and did a chkdsk which turned up Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing a few errors and attempted to recover them I assume I could now boot but random freezing would still take place now and then and EVERY DAY I have to access the repair console due to boot errors Almost every other attempt to boot results in freezing before startup not being able to access the boot file or a blue screen of death So I Hard drive Same things happening I must have reformatted at least times by now and I'm beginning to give strange looks at my motherboard The computer seems to DECIDE when to work and not work When it doesn't boot the hard drive makes a constant clicking noise This next part will sound bad after getting boot errors all day I walked down stairs to find some new hardware When I got back up my cat had knocked the hard drive which was disconnected and outside of the computer onto the wooden floor It's a foot drop so I was getting worried I plugged it in and tried to star what do you know Here I am Now I'm certain it's only a matter of time before it freezes again The thing is freezing usually occurs when I'm running one or more programs at a time The computer is going incredibly slow at the moment Is it a certain program that is messing up my registry or would it be a problem with my motherboard dontknow

A:Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing

Try installing another operating system onto the disk and seeing if that crashes as well. If it doesn't you probably have a bad Windows cd. I suggest trying Kubuntu, a version of Linux meant to look somewhat like Windows (You can click here to skip directly to the download page). Just remember to actually install the thing. Most Linux operating systems can be ran directly from the cd without any need to be installed onto a hard disk. There's usually a program on the desktop that will install the system for you. If it runs properly for a week or two, get a new Windows disk. If it crashes just as much as Windows did, get a new computer.

Also, how much RAM does your computer have? If it's very low (256-512 megs or less) it can sometimes cause these kinds of crashes too.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/multiple-hard-drive-boot-errors-hard-drive-clicking-and-freezing-374232.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey a Hard Drive Drive External an please! 80gb Enclosure, Zune help in Hard Putting guys My Zune gb stopped working a while back It wouldn t charge So I thought I would take Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please! out the hard drive and use it as an external gb hard drive So I bought an quot ZIF encolsure for it and installed the hard drive into it All appears good with the installation When I plug the hard drive into the PC the light on the hard drive enclosure comes on and stays on amp the disk starts spinning Then Windows Vista does the whole quot Install new Hardware quot thing and calls it a quot Disk Drive quot and a quot USB Mass Storage Device quot and says hardware is installed and ready for use But the problem is I can t seem to access the drive I can t find it anywhere It doesn t show up as a drive I can use or anything I tried a third party partitioning prgram to try and find the disk so I could reformat it but it wouldn t it couldn t find it either I even plugged the drive into my Mac thinking that Disk Utility might be able to recognize it and let me wipe it but the Mac doesn t recognize it as anything Back in Vista Using Device Manager Vista notices the drive under the quot Disk Drives quot option as a quot Disk Drive quot and that it is elecronically signed by Microsoft since it has the Zune firmware on it but I can t do anything with it And this is the only place where I can see that the drive even exists I can t reformat it or anything Can anyone help me I thought I read somewhere that the problem is the zune firmware Is there anyway I can wipe it Please help I have spent hours searching online and can t seem to get anywhere If I have posted this is in the wrong forum I am sorry Thank you Timothy nbsp

A:Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please!

anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/putting-a-zune-80gb-hard-drive-in-an-external-hard-drive-enclosure-help-please.1009940/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey guys, I was working with my grandfathers computer. The computer would not boot, it kept getting the BSOD with "Unmountable Boot Volume" At the top. Annoyed, I decided I was going to just back up whatever files were on it (Just his favorites, he has absolutely no documents or anything else)..by plugging his HD into my home PC as a slave and copying them to my flashdrive. Then I would reinstall XP Home on his Desktop, and use the flashdrive to put back his files...Sounds easy enough right? NO!!!!.....Problem is, his user account on the computer (Ralph), was Password Protected so now when I try to access any of his files (using Windows 7) I get a message saying Access Is Denied. How do I get around this. It is not possible to boot his old computer to take off the password. Are his files recoverable?
Thanks for any help!

A:Recovering hard drive files from unbootable, password protected hard drive?

You don't have to do all that to overcome an unmountable boot volume error...try running chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Start/Run...type chkdsk X: /r (where X is the drive letter assigned by XP and with spaces between k and X: and X: and /) and then hit Enter.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/251609/recovering-hard-drive-files-from-unbootable-password-protected-hard-drive/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have two laptops, a ThinkPad T30 and a Latitude C840 (they are both working with XP SP2, except the T30 doesn't have a screen). I'd like to move the T30's drive into the C840, but when I do this, the C840 will hang right after the BIOS screen (incl. the XP CD's Press a key to boot off the CD if I tell it to boot from the disc drive first).

My first thought was to try Recovery Console from the XP CD. I can log into the install, and I've already tried fixmbring and fixbooting it. This doesn't help.

This leaves the option of the drivers not being right. I installed the C840 chipset drivers, nothing.

I'd really rather not go on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what'll get things up and running, so can you guys gimme a suggestion?

Thanks!
Ethan

A:Moved hard drive and cannot boot; hard drive accessable from Recovery Console

You can't simple move one drive from one machine to another because the drivers are specific to the hardware. Did you receive recovery CDs for the Latitude? If so, you could use them to "restore" it to its factory default with the new drive. This may actually be on a partition of the hard drive.
As an alternative, you could create an image of the original drive and restore it to the new one using some freeware such as DriveImage XML. To restore the image to the new drive, you'll need to boot to a bootable CD using something like UBCD4WIN and restore the image from somewhere on your network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moved-hard-drive-and-cannot-boot-hard-drive-accessable-from-recovery-console.528901/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a customer s Satellite L D S laptop This was shipped to me by the customer who tried to install Windows XP Pro Vista and none would install He said he tried all installation CDs he had and finally gave up on it and shipped it to me When I got it the partition were deleted so I tried to install Win and when I do doing a custom install I format win can't clean drive find drive hard 7 can't install Solved: or on hard get an error saying the hard drive can t be formatted on disk Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install or it will give an error that no hard drives were found I reset the bios to default and no matter what I do it won t format or find the harddrive I was going to upgrade the bios but the only way I found to upgrade the Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install bios is after windows is installed There is no way to make changes to the bios for settings that would have to do with the hard drive This has a Toshiba MK GSX S hard drive When installing Win I get the normal windows quot windows is starting quot quot Select Language quot quot Select System quot quot Type of install quot quot Custom Install quot quot Delete partitions quot quot New Partitions quot quot Format quot then the error message quot Windows cannot format a partition on disk Error x quot This happens regardless what system I try to install I ve tried two different versions of XP one of Vista and Win and each time a different install CD System Specs AMD Turion TM x Mobile CPU CPU Speed GHz Toshiba MK GSX S hard drive Pioneer DVD-RW DurkD l PM Optical Disk Drive Memory System Bios Version Anyone got any ideas on this laptop so I can get a system installed I checked the bios and there is no settings for a sata drive raid drive or IDE drive so it looks like this version can t be changed Thanks for anyone who can help Rick nbsp

A:Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-win-7-cant-find-hard-drive-or-cant-format-hard-drive-on-clean-install.917413/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello,
I am trying to move all my files from my computer to my new external hard drive, but whenever I try and move a file over 4 GB in size i get this error message...
"The file is too large for the destination file system"... anyone know how I can get around this so I can move those files over?

A:Problem transfering large file from hard drive to external hard drive

Get ahold of some software that will break up the file into chunks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-transfering-large-file-from-hard-drive-to-external-hard-drive.105596/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi I REALLY hope someone out there can help me Hard as Hard Partition 1T appears Problems! Drive/ Solved: My 8Gigs?! Drive with this I have a failed hard drive stuffed partion and i DESPERATELY need the data from it A computer was brought into me with two hard drives The owner asked me to set up a duel boot with vista and XP on the first hard drive and to leave the second hard drive alone its his backup drive with all his Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! photos movies etc I was working away as per usual when i noticed the second hard drive was no longer coming up in Windows Explorer Well it was but not correctly whenever i clicked on it it said would you liket to format the drive obviously i didnt want to do that I ran Partition Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! Magic which showed the drive was only Gigs it should have been T or Gigs Partition Magic also said there was a problem with the drive and offered to fix it I agreed however there was no change I ve run a number of programs to try and fix the drive Acronis Disk Director Server Partition Table Doctor Demo Dtidata Partition Repair Tool MHDD Recover My Files v FileScavenger However all the partition repairers claim that the drive is only Gigs and they can go no further All the File Recovery Programs will only scan for Gigs and thus i can not recover my clients precious photos and videos The BIOS comes up as recognizing the drive as Gigs I really REALLY need the Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! data from this drive Does anyone know how to fix my problem Thanx heaps in advance Ben nbsp

A:Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?!

I've used ZAR to recover files from a RAID box that seemed to have been corrupted due to a bad power supply.

You might check it out. It's free. Meaning it will only allow you to recover so many files at a time. I bought it, and like it.

They have a forum that is monitored quite often, from the developer too.

Good luck.

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drive-partition-problems-my-1t-hard-drive-appears-as-8gigs.858100/
Relevancy 44.29%

I recently bought a 2nd hand 21 inch monitor that looked, well, 2nd hand.

I purchased Dk Grey "K&H" Bumper and Trim paint from the local auto shop for about $12aus, cleaned the beast with Metho, sprayed away, and it looks Brand new.

Looked so good I did my case as well, all from the one aerosol can.

Hope this helps someone.

P.S Don't spray it in an enclosed area, unless you:dead: like that sort of thing - seen BLUE VELVET anyone ???

A:Found good paint 4 hard plastic ie case, monitor...

how much is it?. when i turn 18 i might get some. one question though.... how did you spray your monitor without getting it in the vent holes?.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/found-good-paint-4-hard-plastic-ie-case-monitor.13554/
Relevancy 44.29%

Assume I have a hard disk which supports SATA III (=verified).

I want to put this hard disk into an external hard disk case and connect it by USB v3.0 to my computer.
Later I want to use case and hard disk as backup storage.

Now I doubt that the case supports really SATA III. My guess is that it supports only SATA II.

Ok, I assume the hard disk itself is working with SATA II too.
But I want to use the full speed und feature set of SATA III.

So how can I check the supported SATA versions of the case from Win 7?

Peter

A:Check if an external hard disk case support SATA III or only II ?

Hello,
You can use which SATA port you need...see here

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/364819-check-if-external-hard-disk-case-support-sata-iii-only-ii.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I need an external, large capacity (350GB +) HD and enclousre for my iBook G4. Can anyone recommend a good HD and case? I need to be able to boot from the external HD. Thanks.

-- vja4Him

A:Which Drive and Case to Buy ???

Got www.newegg.com -- they have a fairly reliable rating program so you can see which drive and case is the most highly rated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/which-drive-and-case-to-buy.550876/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello guyz,
pliz help me with the steps involved in upgrading or replacing an MFM hard drive with IDE-class hard drive

A:STEPS TO UPGRADE/REPLACE an MFM hard drive with an IDE-class hard drive

Hi kfkaggwa, and welcome to TSG.

Any chance the motherboard has and IDE controller built in? If not, what kind of expansion card options does it have?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/steps-to-upgrade-replace-an-mfm-hard-drive-with-an-ide-class-hard-drive.606240/
Relevancy 44.29%

Had this laptop for about 6 years, had a few issues in the past, but nothing major like this. After, I ran a system dianostic, the result shown that the Hard drive short DST failed. Not totally sure how to do a recovery, I do have the Recovery Discs, so I searched up how to run the discs; turned on the system- press f11-  window loading files- window starting- then it just stuck on a window blue screen with nothing but the cursor. Can I even use the Recovery Discs? I want to replace the old HDD with a new SSD, but I'm not sure if I have to install a new OS or can I recover the old hard drive OS and transfer to the SSD?

A:Hard Drive failure (Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed)

DST:Fail means  the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-failure-Hard-Drive-Short-DST-Check-Failed/td-p/5789622
Relevancy 44.29%

hi all,
i hope someone can help me out, i am a newbie to all this so bare with me.
my hard drive failed over a month ago but i managed to do a system image with win7 to my new 2tb internal hard drive. i cannot get the image recovery to work as i says "no image can be found on hard disk". i am at a loss from there. I have tried and cried over this as its driving me mad as i have no pc.

Leroy

A:hard drive failed, system image not found on hard drive

just to add really that the system image is on my new hard drive (2tb internal). i use the boot dvd and i get a far as "repair my computer" click on it, sometimes i get message saying not compatable with this version of windows other times it lets me on to next bit, then says no image can be found on hard drive. if i go through the load drivers i can see my hard drive with items on it. ie windowsbackup and others. again i am at a loss with this, any help would be greatful.

Leroy

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/314470-hard-drive-failed-system-image-not-found-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I need an external hard drive for taking regular backups of all of my data.
When i searched the internet I got two options:
1. Porable HDD [high cost, slower speed but don't need external power]
2. Desktop HDD [low cost, higher speed but need external power]

I want to know that...
1. Which hard disk's live longer? Porable or Desktop.
2. I heared that pulling off USB cable of Portable HDD may cause data lose because it also supplies power to hdd.
What will happpen if Power goes off from Desktop HDD? Will my data/Hard disk remain protected?
3. Level of safety of data on moving or shaking on both Desktop and Portable HDD.
4. Can we install os and boot from portable and desktop external hdd?

A:Need Advice : External Desktop Hard drive vs Portable Hard drive?

Unless you really need to go portable with a Laptop .. I'd not use a USB powered External.
You cannot boot from a USB External .. But there's another option if you're capable of physically changing HDDs ..

Get a good external Enclosure (with a fan for cooling) .. Install a good HDD ... with a 5 year warranty
and make the HDD in the enclosure a bootable backup .. where you could swap HDDs if/when needed ..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-advice-external-desktop-hard-drive-vs-portable-hard-drive.988810/
Relevancy 44.29%

I just installed a brand new Western Digital Hard Drive 160 gig. I partitioned it with FDISK, then formated, then did a clean install of windows XP. Everything was fine until after i finished the installation, and i tried to connect my old maxtor 20 gig so i could transfer some files over, and the computer stopped reading both hard drives. When i start it up, the computer can't boot from either drive. I've tried disconnecting each of the drives and only booting with one connected, with no luck. I also tried changing the gray strip, I can't remember what its official name is, but that didnt help either. When I go into BIOS and let it auto detect my drives, It wont recognize either of the drives.

A:New hard drive installed sucessfully, now my computer cant find any hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-hard-drive-installed-sucessfully-now-my-computer-cant-find-any-hard-drive.290955/
Relevancy 44.29%

I did this on a Compaq Presario c500 and now i have no audio coming over my laptop. HELP!

A:Windows Vista Hard Drive replaced with XP Hard Drive. No audio.

You need to install the proper drivers for your hardware. All of the drivers you need are right here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-hard-drive-replaced-with-xp-hard-drive-no-audio.681812/
Relevancy 44.29%

hi .
i have a Compaq nx 7400 .
i was hahving a lot of problems with the computer so i decided to put a new hard drive in and reinstall XP .
well i have the new hard drive in and started up the machine and changed the bott options to run from the dvd and all went fine until i should press the ENTER ( return ) button to install XP now . as soon as i did that the next window said no hard drive found . this was also happening on the old hard drive that was in the machine .

im stuck and i dont know what else to try . anyone had this problem before .?

Thanks for any help .
very strange .
Timo

A:Solved: new hard drive xp , new install, doesnt find hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-hard-drive-xp-new-install-doesnt-find-hard-drive.726533/
Relevancy 44.29%

I recently formatted my c drive and now i am reinstalling all the software. I keep all the setups of software in my external hard drive. For installing the software I coy the setup folder of the required software on my laptop, then install it.

Is straightaway installing the software by accessing the external hard drive okay? Does it make any difference in the installation time or any reduction in life of hard disk performance.

Or should I always install through my laptop hard drive?

I am running windows 8.1 pro

A:installation software from external hard drive or internal hard drive

Your method is as good as any. If it works, keep doing it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/installation-software-from-external-hard-drive-or-internal-hard-drive-1056962.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I have a dell dimension 8200 windows xp home edition sp3. One of my hard drives has the fbi virus. I cant boot from a usb on it but the computer can have two hard drives plugged in at once. Could i plug the dirty hard drive in and scan and remove the virus from the clean one?.

A:Scanning dirty hard drive from clean hard drive in same computer

Hello, and Welcome

Detach the drive without the FBI virus. On another computer download Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Burn the iso to a CD. On a Windows 7 computer simply right click the iso and select Burn Disk Image. Connect the computer with the FBI virus via a Ethernet cable so Kaspersky can update it's definitions. Boot the disk and then open the terminal and type windowsunlocker (all lower case) shown in this guide. Then run the antivirus on the Kaspersky disk

http://media.kaspersky.com/downloads/consumer/kasp10.0_rescuedisk_en.pdf

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591973/scanning-dirty-hard-drive-from-clean-hard-drive-in-same-computer/
Relevancy 44.29%

I am having a serious problem with my pc.Windows disk is showing me these following errorsBoot sector of the hard drive disk is damagedBad sectors on hard drive or damaged file allocation tableRead time of hard drive clusters less the 500 msHard drive doesnt respond to system commands40% of hdd space is unreadableWhat does this mean and can I fix itI cannot access my documents folder or other programs Any Help would be greatI tried the defrag thing but it didnt workEdit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum, at the recommendation of forum staff. ~ Animal

A:Critical Error Hard Drive not found. Missing hard Drive

When you say "Windows disk". Can you give a little better description of just what\where the warning message is coming from?

You "tried the defrag thing but it did`t work".

Where did you go to access the defrag? What does "it did`t work" mean?

The reason I am asking these questions is not to give you a hard time. There is a virus going around that is very similar in it`s behavior.

I am just trying to find out exactly what it is we are dealing with.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/380473/critical-error-hard-drive-not-found-missing-hard-drive/
Relevancy 44.29%

my hard drive crash and i just bought a new hard drive. but i dont have a windows cd only product key on my desktop case.how can I install windows on my new hard drive?

A:hard drive crash... install windows on new hard drive withou...

Galilee Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!I read your post about wanting to restore your PC and wanted to help -- but need more information. Your PC did not come with Win10 preinstalled, so if you were to order HP Recovery Media and use that, it would restore the original operating system, drivers, and HP utilities.  I presume this is NOT what you want, right? So, while you can make Win10 media to recover your PC, it would be a clean-install and nothing would be preserved. You can make such media using this tool: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit).  While you CAN change these settings, do NOT. If you do, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code! Good Luck 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/hard-drive-crash-install-windows-on-new-hard-drive-without/td-p/5686961
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello I just got a new Dell Dimension E with Vista as the operating system Vista Stinks For most programs including video and audio from XP Service Pack Vista doesn t recognize drivers that were fine with XP Service Pack Even Sonic and Roxio which are installed hard with Drive Can with XP? replaced Solved: Hard be Dell drive Vista on the damn thing give these same problems My internet connection is also no better at all and was outright disabled with a message quot something has caused Microsoft Internet to stop working quot Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP? after I tried to install basic version of Zone Alarm Then on Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP? reboot it says quot unauthorized change made to your license you must verify your software online quot This message come up before the desktop appears and this screen is frozen whether you choose the quot verify quot or quot cancel quot option Couldn t shut down by any means either including Control Alt Delete it wouldn t bring up that window Had to literally pull the plug and reboot into Safe Mode where I uninstalled Zone Alarm and a couple of other functions that worked perfectly in XP Then I was able to re-boot normally the message did not come up again I hate Vista Not interested in any quot fixes quot not worth the trouble The only fix for Vista is a sledgehammer to the drive My hope is this can I get the hard drive removed and replace it with a clean hard drive that has XP sp on it or am I stuck with this P O S Operating System The computer in question is a brand new Dell Dimension E GHz processor AMD Dual Core gb RAM Combined CD DVD drive gb hard drive Thanks for any help Rick nbsp

A:Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-dell-hard-drive-with-vista-be-replaced-with-hard-drive-xp.563372/
Relevancy 43.86%

Dear friends this is happening on two different computers both running sp on win XP - systems are P gig ram and lateset radeon cards I m using one of those USB internal drives - you know the ones that allow you to use up to different types of flash cards - including SD MMC SMARTSTICK CF etc The drives are internally installed in a standard drive bay and cables take it directly to the mainboard in this case an ABIT IC motherboard to hook to headers for USB support I have had little trouble making these things work - except on occassion suddenly windows will STOP recognizing the very existance of the drive I have solved this problem before on one of the computers which has easy access to the cable by simply unplugging the USB cable while windows desktop is in view and then plugging it back in Windows then recognizes it and it functions fine the drive case USB disappearing The of once again Unfortunately the other computer is minute job literally to unscrew and access those cables I m tyring to figure out how to solve this a different way if possible Why does windows stop recognizing my USB peripheral and why does it seem to quot reset quot when I un-plug and then re-plug in the cable to the USB port And why does it disappear at all The case of the disappearing USB drive Is there a way to fix this via windows instead of manually having to unplug the device each time If the problems is windows I might as well throw these flash drives away because I cannot be tearing my computer apart each time that windows gets fickle and decides it doesn t want to recognize the drive any longer I hope I m making sense -- any advice is greatly appreciated - and by the way rebooting the computer doesn t solve the issue -- I ve tried several times sincerely daniel I just figured out the problem Since the flash drive is wired to the headers on the main board simply shutting down the computer is not enough -- power is still being fed to the flash drive even when the computer is seemingly sound asleep I unplugged the source of power and waited a couple of minutes - to make sure that the motherboard was getting ZERO juice and then plugged it back in and rebooted Windows XP now recognizes the drive - and I don t have to tear apart my computer each time to unplug internal USB connection cable to the motherboard headers Sweet thank you everyone daniel nbsp

A:The case of the disappearing USB drive

Thank you very very much!! that was driving me insane!!! (no pun intended)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-case-of-the-disappearing-usb-drive.17736/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hey, whats goin on?

My pc was working fine, and now ive borked it!

i put everything in a new case, and the whole thing works perfectly, except for the DVD drive.

Its a 40 pin one, not sata...

now, the power to the drive works, as i can open and close the drive, but the pc wont show a drive in My computer, or in the disk managemant window.

I thought it may be the drive, so i put in a different one, but that has the very same issue. the 40 pin connection is connected properly, and in the same way it was in the old case, so ive run out of ideas..

Any help??

Relevancy 43.86%

My Win -bit installation started acting up after years of adding and subtracting yanking dlls around even sfc gave up So I installed the -bit Ultimate version Wanted to get all my RAM - I didn t do a clean install mea culpa I know Well drive letters have been assigned in utterly Windows manner and I am missing an entire logical drive Luckily I back up data files nightly so case drive the disappearing The of I have that But there was some info on E drive that I would love to have The case of the disappearing drive back like an The case of the disappearing drive RDP script Physical Disc used to be partitioned into logical C D E E being the one is gone now the partitions are G C and H in that order The contents of H are not what used to be in E My usual C for System D The case of the disappearing drive for Programs and E for Data scheme is totally gone with the new letter assignments Other strange things Using MS Explorer I see the back-up folders on an external drive but there is nothing in them However if I use -Zip File Manager and pull the folder in I can see the subdirectories and I can expand the zipped files in each of the subdirectories Have I walked into a -bit Twilight Zone Or did the dirty install mess things up BTW in folder properties I am set to see hidden files Any hope of finding the missing data TIA ------------------- Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Ultimate bit Processor Intel R Core TM CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GS Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB G Total - MB Free - MB H Total - MB Free - MB J Total - MB Free - MB M Total - MB Free - MB N Total - MB Free - MB O Total - MB Free - MB S Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Intel Corporation DP DP Antivirus None nbsp

A:The case of the disappearing drive

I assume all the directories are on one drive. Personally I would remove the drive and connect it to another computer all ready up and running using an exteranal drive case via a USB cord. There you could see the drives and copy and paste what you want to a flash drive. After recovering everything you want put your computer back together and do a full install of the 64 bit version. You may want to format all the drives before putting the drive back in the computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-case-of-the-disappearing-drive.1034795/
Relevancy 43.86%

About a year ago, I installed Vista Ultimate. In retrospect, not a great idea. After installing, I discovered that my CD drive no longer recognized the fact that there were discs in it. I could hear it rotating, I see green lights flashing on the computer casing, but nothing actually happens. And of course, my computer is out of warranty. Has anybody else had this problem? or better yet, does anybody know how to FIX this problem? Thank you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/the-case-of-the-missing-cd-drive-258364.html
Relevancy 43.86%

My sister has a dell laptop that came with an extrernal CD drive. the drive was damaged .

I need to relaod the Xp home OS. Do you think hooking up an extra cd drive (that was once in my tower) to an external case (used for HD) i will be able to reload XP?

A:External case & a CD Drive

Sure, the drives in an external case are bog-standard CD/DVD drives. I've put a bunch of them together.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-case-a-cd-drive.571116/
Relevancy 43.43%

The theory is now a reality. Symantec reported Tuesday that drive-by pharming, in which a hacker changes the DNS settings on a customer?s broadband router or wireless access point and directs the link to a fraudulent Web site, has been observed in the wild...networkworld.comMore here:"Drive-By Pharming""Drive-By Pharming: How Clicking on a Link Can Cost You Dearly"For those not familiar with Pharming, read:? "What is Pharming"? "Pharming FAQs"? "DNS cache poisoning"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/127238/first-case-of-drive-by-pharming-in-the-wild/
Relevancy 43.43%

A friend of mine asked quot I used to have two harddrives in my system Each time I booted up just before the Welcome screen Windows XP added an extra screen that made me choose which drive I wanted to use I was forced to use the arrow to toggle up or down to make a selection No matter how I changed the bios I still Mysterious The the of Letter Case Drive had to do it I knew it wasn t right but I endured it for months Now that I no longer want the second drive and The Case of the Mysterious Drive Letter have removed it guess what I still get asked that The Case of the Mysterious Drive Letter question If I choose correctly all is well If I pick the drive that is removed from the system I get a message saying that Window does not have the proper files and On My Compter the phanton second harddrive does not appear What can I do to bypass the need to choose and get rid of that screen As an aside is the Lian Li really the best case or are other cheaper aluminum cases good alternatives nbsp

A:The Case of the Mysterious Drive Letter

First, you must have your Explorer settings to be able to view all files AND extensions. Then, look in the root directory (C:\) for a file named... boot.ini
Double-click this file - it will open in Notepad. Copy the entire file (it's small) and paste it into your next post. It will be VERY easy to edit this file and fix the problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-case-of-the-mysterious-drive-letter.90740/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a computer that has a normal C drive with windows XP installed. I added
a second maxtor drive for my data drive. It seems when I add my second drive
to my windows xp system it causes XP to lock up with a big blue screen after
a certain period of time. It usually is when I have intense drive activity when
I am installing programs such as visual studio or some thing like that. Both
drives are in the Windows XP NSPF format so I don't think that is the problem.
Does anyone have a solution to this problem. I get tired of reinstalling Win
XP everytime this occures.
thank you,

Relevancy 43%

I am unsure about what happens after you convert your internal hard drive to an external hard drive... Let's say the internal HDD was your only laptop HDD and you replaced it with a SSD. If you convert your old internal HDD to an external HDD, what would happen when you open it up on your newly installed OS (on the SSD)?

I am trying to download a new OS but us my old internal HDD as an external drive just to access specific files. However, I don't want any other data/programs/settings/etc. downloaded onto my new SSD. Do I need to delete my old OS when I convert my old internal HDD into an external HDD or does the OS simply get "reduced" to a bunch of files that I will see on my newly installed OS?

If anyone is able to clarify these questions that would be fantastic!

A:What happens after you convert your internal hard drive to an external hard drive?

does the OS simply get "reduced" to a bunch of files that I will see on my newly installed OS?Click to expand...

Yes
it will just be seen as a data drive and you would need to goto the directory for your data
it wont run as an OS at all

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-happens-after-you-convert-your-internal-hard-drive-to-an-external-hard-drive.1118543/
Relevancy 43%

A friend of mine has asked me to transfer some music and picture files from his old IDE hard Drive in a HP Pavillion System, to his new SATA hard drive in his new Dell System, it sounds like it should be a fairly simple process, but my question is, what is the best way to just copy these files and not the entire hard disk?

Relevancy 43%

My hard drive started making funny clicking noises and the pc pitstop checkup gave me a response time of 77ms and a warning that it could expire shortly. So i bought a new 80 gb hard drive, installed it, partitioned it no problem, but i now want to swap all the data from my old hard drive to my new one (os and all), and then junk the old drive.
How can i do this without spending money on software that i will probably only use once or twice.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

the pipster

A:How can i copy my failing 8gb hard drive to my new 80gb hard drive?

For free:

XXClone
HDClone (free edition only smaller to larger)
DriveClonerXP
PCI CloneMaxx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-copy-my-failing-8gb-hard-drive-to-my-new-80gb-hard-drive.404558/
Relevancy 43%

I just bought a Dell Latitude D I opted for the GB hard drive at rpm versus the GB drive at rpm When I received the Dell I noticed that I could hear the drive spinning It wasn t constant and it didn t sound strained like a sick hard drive but it would randomly become audible now and again It isn t the fan as I know the difference between what a fan sounds like and what a hard drive sounds like I called Dell Gold Technical Support we ran diagnostics and everything came out fine A manager got on the line and informed me that the faster drive would always rpm hard louder drive drive? 7200 5400 Would a hard be than a rpm be a little louder To be safe I asked fo ra new laptop - and when it got to me it made the very same Would a 7200 rpm hard drive be louder than a 5400 rpm hard drive? sounds Does Dell simply make a loud laptop or is a rpm drive going to be a little louder Here are the specs of the machine Intel Core Duo T GHz Mhz M L Cache GB DDR - SDRAM DIMM MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS M TurboCache GB Hard Drive MM RPM nbsp

Relevancy 43%

Hi guys I'm new on any sort of Drive an Internal like External acting Hard Hard Drive forums so go easy if it's a stupid question but here goes Me and my brother built me a new computer from scratch he did the building - i did the watching To cut a long story short - I purchased an internal hard drive from Overclockers UK It's a Samsung TB drive I also have a Solid-state drive in there as my primary hard drive that Windows was installed on and a couple of programs are installed on My storage disk the TB disk is for all my music films etc Whenever I drag and drop a file into the Samsung hard-drive - it copies it rather than moves it instantly When I had Internal Hard Drive acting like an External Hard Drive a laptop I had external hard drives and this is the way it copied files onto them Does anyone know how I can get the Internal Hard Drive acting like an External Hard Drive internal drive to stop acting like an external drive Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Internal Hard Drive acting like an External Hard Drive

This is the way it works. I have an 80GB SSD and an internal HDD and the same happens if the file/folder is large enough. If you just copy a few MBs, you will not see the window with the green stripe running. But if e.g. you copy 500MBs, you will see it. It physically moves the data. That is different if you copy on the same volume from one folder to another. Then it only makes an entry in the MFT.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/68592-internal-hard-drive-acting-like-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 43%

Hi. I have a virus infected sata hard drive with windows 7 on it. It has the win 7 anti virus 2012 on it, and it's a cybercriminal virus. I have lots of files I want to transfer to the new sata drive. I already have windows 7 installed on the new drive. How do I get the files from the bad drive to the new one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A:How do I transfer files from bad sata hard drive to new hard drive

You could make your own external HD, & than copy/paste over.
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-...ard-drive.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/204252-how-do-i-transfer-files-bad-sata-hard-drive-new-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 43%

i have a problem my laptop says it has two hard drives though it only has one physical one my os hard drive is filled and my local disk has lots og free space can someone help me combine them?

A:Os hard drive and local disk hard drive how can i make them into one?

Quote: Originally Posted by CraziReaper

i have a problem my laptop says it has two hard drives though it only has one physical one my os hard drive is filled and my local disk has lots og free space can someone help me combine them?

First, if at all unsure backup

Parigon disk suite (free trial)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/190241-os-hard-drive-local-disk-hard-drive-how-can-i-make-them-into-one.html
Relevancy 43%

I had been using my Hitachi 320g external HD for 2yrs.It had not problem until yesterday I transfering some files from my Drive C to Hitachi HD when the computer hang.I unpluged the external HD and restart PC.When I pluged in the external HD again it was recognised as interrnal HD.I've problem accessing the files.The PC detected it was FAT32 since my system was NTFS and asked me to reformat my external HD.I tried connect to other PC but no different.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-recognised-as-internal-hard-drive.915927/
Relevancy 43%

I earlier posted about the Aspire AST -UP A be internal external Can drive hard full used hard drive? for having GB hard drive I since then contacted Aspire chat support Apparently not being tech savy we didn t realize gb hard drive only c drive is able to be used the d data drive holds the programs to run the computer I didn t mean can I use the external hard drive internally I meant if I hook it up externally would it work in place of the internal hard drive Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive? that is nearly full except for around GB So unfortunately the computer Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive? isn t as big as you believe But I wanted to know if I purchase I was looking at Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive? western digital elements TB external hard drive Can we use it for this computer It will not run itunes or anything like that but we can obviously go online My brother wants to buy a new computer but I know that is probably not the way to go Should we get an internal hard drive installed and other memory or something or can we use the external hard drive I would appreciate any informed help on this since we do not no technical info on computers Can t really afford to buy another computer right now Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive?

If you want to take out the drive from external hard drive case and install it in your desktop/laptop, then usually you can. Usually external hard drives are just ordinary hard drives accompanied by some extra controller to make it able to "talk" via general ports (e.g. USB). However I am not familiar with digital elements 2TB , so I can not confirm it. But I do have WD external drive, which I had positively confirm that its real drive is just ordinary hard drive.

Note that if you decide to do this, I suggest to find experience people to work on extracting the drive. If you do it yourself you will risk to damage it, and you don't want that since usually opening the closure means voiding the warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-external-hard-drive-be-used-for-full-internal-hard-drive.161546/
Relevancy 43%

I have a 1TB hard drive that I am only using 30GB on and want to clone that to a 500GB hard drive. I have tried using Drive Image XML but it tells me that I have to get a bigger drive in order for it to work. My question is this, is there a program (free) that can clone a bigger hard drive to a smaller one?I might be answering my question here but I wonder could I image the drive and the restore the image from that one to another one? There has to be a way to do it.uByte

A:Clone Bigger Hard drive to smaller hard drive

The verdict is still out. I tried to image the drive and restore it to the smaller one and it gave me the same message. I wonder if I resized the partition of the bigger one to make it smaller then tried to copy it. That might work.

If anyone has done this before let me know.

uByte

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/228555/clone-bigger-hard-drive-to-smaller-hard-drive/
Relevancy 43%

Hello All, I am not a very computer savvy person, but here it goes. I have added a second hard drive to my computer and I installed Windows XP OS. My primary hard drive has Windows 7. My primary drive is connected via a SATA connection and the the secondary hard drive is connected via IDE connection. I have set the jumper "pins" on both drives to match each other. The Bios has the Second hard drive set as slave. Upon start up I do not get an option to select an OS. It automatically goes into Windows 7. What do I need to do so that I can get prompted to chose an OS? Please help. Thanks alot.

A:Can't boot secondary hard drive that has different OS from primary hard drive

Apples and oranges. There may be tricks, but normally dual boots require setups all be on the same type cables and connectors.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-boot-secondary-hard-drive-that-has-different-os-from-primary-hard-drive.135796/
Relevancy 43%

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to clone a SATA hard drive with Windows XP to a USB hard drive, and rather or not if Windows XP would work well on the USB hard drive after it was cloned from the SATA hard drive. The USB hard drive would be the only hard drive used after the SATA hard drive with Windows XP was cloned to the USB hard drive.

Relevancy 43%

Is there a program taht will allow for this, that is relatively cheap, or is there a way to do it without using a program?

Relevancy 43%

I currently am running windows x bit and I am thinking of copying my entire hard drive consisting of C amp D drives using a total of GB of space nbsp And wanting to external as Drive Complete drive a Copying to hard b... an Hard get a Western Digital External Hard Drive with TB Copying Complete Hard Drive to an external hard drive as a b... of space nbsp I have been led to believe that windows has a utility called System Image Back Up Utility located in the Control Panel nbsp I have also been led to believe that this can be done completely using a bit by bit copy of the entire hard drive programs files drivers apps utilities etc nbsp But I can not fine enough info on doing this And there are still questions such as How do you transfer the copy from the external hard drive back onto the PC if it should completely crash I do have a five disk recovery set I made when I purchased my PC but still want an additional source of a back up system nbsp I can not find the procedures for copying the copy from the external hard drive to the crashed PC and are ther better and Copying Complete Hard Drive to an external hard drive as a b... safer programs out there to use instead of the windows system Image back up utility nbsp I would add that I am somewhat of an intermediate user useing PCs since windows but there are obviously issues that I need to research before attempting something this complicated and advanced nbsp Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp Thanks in Advance Solved View Solution

A:Copying Complete Hard Drive to an external hard drive as a b...

A description of System Image Backup can be found here.  If you want both C and D, I would suggest a clone program. Both Seagate and WD offer a free Disk Wizard Program. With the cloning process, you use an external case to perform the clone.  When disaster strikes, you swap out the drives, and continue. Personally, I make clones of my primary desktops every 30-45 days.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Copying-Complete-Hard-Drive-to-an-external-hard-drive-as-a/td-p/5567856
Relevancy 43%

I just got a new comp and want to move my Galaxies and Godfather game files from one drive to the other.

I am wondering if anyone knows how get this to work, or, get it so i can run the program from a different drive than my primary drive.

thanks

Relevancy 43%

I installed a brand new hard drive in my hp pavilion ze4630 and even when booting from the the Win XP disk it does not see the new hard drive. I tried using a Win Me disk in an attempt format from dos but unit does not boot into dos. The hard drive is a Toshiba MK4025GAS and i did not find a driver on their site. What do i need to do to initialize a virgin hard drive ? Also tried installing as slave drive to my desktop and format with functioning Win XP but it also did not see the drive. Thanks for assistance with this matter.

A:Hard drive formatting instruction for brand new hard drive

rskin2001 said:

I installed a brand new hard drive in my hp pavilion ze4630 and even when booting from the the Win XP disk it does not see the new hard drive. I tried using a Win Me disk in an attempt format from dos but unit does not boot into dos. The hard drive is a Toshiba MK4025GAS and i did not find a driver on their site. What do i need to do to initialize a virgin hard drive ? Also tried installing as slave drive to my desktop and format with functioning Win XP but it also did not see the drive. Thanks for assistance with this matter.Click to expand...

Can you see the drive in the BIOS setup?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-formatting-instruction-for-brand-new-hard-drive.467932/
Relevancy 43%

Hi, for nearly a year now I've been using a Buffalo 500GB external hard drive.
Just yesterday though, after unplugging it from my PC, using it on another Windows 7 machine and then attempting to reconnect it the my PC, it began to show up on My Computer as a Local Disk rather than an external. In addition, when I try to access it, it gives me this message: E:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. My question is, is there any way to return the drive to it's original state or recover the data inside? The data is of extreme importance.
Thanks for any help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-being-read-as-an-internal-hard-drive.1077768/