Windows Support Forum

Ad-Hoc is now Local Only

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Ad-Hoc is now Local Only

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 26.23%

Hi,

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

Thanks

A:Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-set-up-local-and-remote-user-with-server-2012.206403/
Relevancy 25.37%

Printer Problems in Windows XP sp3
Dell Personal Printer all in one A940
After trying to speed up an older computer running Windows XP
I may have cut off the Print Spooler (or it was already off ?)
I went back to Services dialog box & selected Print Spooler
I clicked the "Start" link at left of service list & got a message tgat said
"could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start."
Printer is still not working can anyone help?

A:Could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068

On Win/7 the dependencies are

HTTP

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
DCOM Server Process Launcher
RPC Endpoint Mapper
Manually start each on and set to AUTOSTART as you go.
If one fails, then that is the root problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/could-not-start-print-spooler-service-on-local-computer-error-1068.206839/
Relevancy 26.66%

So I realize that this is my computer telling me that it is not getting a connection to the internet So here is a basic diagram of my setup ISP---- gt Cable Modem----- gt New Splitter---------- gt Asus wifi router working --------- gt Desktop IP also connected to wifi My ISP is Charter Com via a Cable Modem From there I go into a TRENDnet ethernet switch splitter From there I have cable that goes to my desktop one cable to goes Area Local Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx to the upper floor to the wifi router Asus RT-N U The router is working fine and I am currently connected to it I have replaced the TRENDnet Switch every ethernet cable except to Asus wifi router This is where it gets stupid I can disconnect the TRENDnet switch and plug in my Desktop with the IP and it works I have researched this topic via forums for the past month and a half and now after fresh installing windows would like to try and get some input of what other might think is going on I am out of options I Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx had this setup for quite some time with wired and wifi Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx but just all of a sudden about - months ago after moving my desk and plugging it all in again it stopped working Here is a text format of Ipconfig of my LAC Configuration for interface quot Local Area Connection quot DHCP enabled Yes IP Address xxx xxx Subnet Prefix xx mask InterfaceMetric DNS servers configured through DHCP None Register with which suffix Primary only WINS servers configured through DHCP None As I said I am now running a fresh install of windows with no Bonjour program on it I have released renewed and about other CMD commands that I could think of The internet options for this adapter are set to obtain automatically I have ran about every malware program I can think of So any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx

Hmm why the splitter BEFORE the router - - that's not the correct way to add a second router

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
to add a second router:

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
|
+--- new router

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-169-254-xxx-xxx.203909/
Relevancy 26.23%

Have a new Netgear wireless router and can connect to it, but can only get local access only, no internet.
Tried a few things with no luck so far.
The one thing that did work was eliminating the wireless security, but dont want to leave it that way.
Seems like this is a common problem with Vista.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

A:Local Access Only With Wireless Using Windows Vista

Go to the Device Mgr, expand Network Adapters and look for yellow or red flags. It's most likely that the driver is missing or needs to be updated.

If there's any driver at all, then the led lights near the ethernet cable will be on.

Uninstall the existing driver (but do not delete it) and reboot.
The system should find the device and use the autoconfig feature to install the
correct one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-access-only-with-wireless-using-windows-vista.194148/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi there I am new to this forum though I have went through a couple of threads regarding VPN but I can t seem to find my answer through printing VPN Local I work in an IT department and have to users which are not on the business domain To make use of a program hosted on our server they connect via VPN to out network and then join a remote desktop Both of them make use of a network printer Now one of them has a PC with Win and the other one with XP When they connect to the VPN though only the user on the Win PC is allowed to print the other user Local printing through VPN s job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints Both user Local printing through VPN s VPN permissions are the same as I asked the network admin and the printer settings should be the same on both PCs as I checked them Help would be greatly appreciated as I have been working on this for a very long time with no avail Thanks nbsp

A:Local printing through VPN

the other user's job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints.Click to expand...

Wow, is that strange or what (but that's why your here too I guess). The fact that it is queued says the data path from the user->system->print queue is just fine - - and that says permissions are ok. I suspect that the users program is not closing the output file. Have the user try a simple test using NOTEPAD printing to the remote printer.

Next I would look for software updates to the XP VPN software and then to XP print driver for that device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-printing-through-vpn.189640/
Relevancy 26.23%

My iOmega TB External hard drive stopped working after it was accidentally unplugged I googled the problem amp found the exact thread here for my problem When plugged in instead of being identified by it s name as before it s listed as Local disc F First I tried disabling write caching to no avail so I followed HDD disk shows as it local & F cannot be accessed External the instructions I found here to External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed the same problem started by fish in Aug Mark replied several times giving good instructions which I have followed but my problem isn t solved I downloaded Sea Tools for Windows amp ran both Short amp Long tests which both failed The hard drive when dismantled is a Seagate Barracuda TB amp my PC is Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pk The HDD has much loved photo s of my kids amp tons of video amp music too is there any way to retrieve it now or is it a hopeless case Any help would be very much appreciated I think maybe if possible to get any data now I would have to take it to proffessionals but don t want to get ripped off if the drive is totally broken Thanx so much if u can help all nbsp

A:External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed

You could try going into disk management and deleting F: drive, while the External HDD is unplugged, then try reconnecting - OS might have just assigned the drive incorrectly?
Also strongly recommend updating to SP2 if possible (probably not connected to this issue though).
Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-shows-as-local-disk-f-it-cannot-be-accessed.186348/
Relevancy 27.09%

So I just set up FreeNAS on my LAN. I have a Linksys router.... I believe everything is 10/100 but for some reason its transfering at about 8.61MB/s.

Now before I start posting all my equipment specs, would anyone know right off the bat what my bottleneck is, or give me a clue how to figure this out? I'm apparently not thinking properly enough to figure this out at the moment.

BTW, everything plugged in... so I'm not transfering wirelessly.

A:What's my local NAS bottleneck?

You're transferring at almost 70 mbit - your network is probably your bottleneck. Are you sure there is no additional activity on your network? You should be able to reach between 80-90 if nothing else is going on and the rest of the environment is lean. If everything is working absolutely great I would say you can even reach mid to upper 90's. See if the system sending files has plenty of CPU cycles available by opening your task manager. Also, are you transferring lots of small files or one big file? Larger files will transfer faster than a bunch of tiny ones. At most you can expect a file transfer speed of about 12 MB/sec on a 100 mbit network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whats-my-local-nas-bottleneck.180760/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey I ve got a Dual Xeon Dell Precision T Workstation running Windows x that I use for graphic design and some music production I have up until last week used a M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio Interface for recording as well as my primary sound card I decided to get rid of the Fast Track and upgrade to an M-Audio Audiophile PCI sound card Here is my issue- With the Fast Track USB Interface I have always network local when performing only PC downloads Static in sound, had a noticeable Static in PC sound, only when performing local network downloads static popping sound when any audio is playing while I am transferring files on my local network- but I have isolated it specifically to copying files from anywhere on my local network to this PC- so only downloading to this computer I didn t pay much attention to it as I thought that was the price that was to be payed because of using a USB sound card After I installed the Audiophile I am still getting this popping sound on network downloads Just to test I pulled out the Audiophile enabled the on-board sound card and the popping was still there with the on-board sound card Any idea what could be causing this My network adapter is the Broadcom on-board Gigabit LAN card The only other PCI or PCI-e cards I have installed are the Nvidia Quadro Video Adapter and a SIIG USB PCI Card I have taken this out and the popping is still there All of PCI bus components were different when I started hearing the popping from the Fast Track Pro so I don t suspect that any of those items would be the culprit When the popping first started nothing was even in the PCI PCI-e bus except for my old Quadro video card which I took out months ago and swapped for the Quadro I guess what I m trying to say is that most of the components have been removed or swapped and the sound continues I have the onboard sound card disabled normally so I know that also isn t causing it To describe the popping static it doesn t make the noise until I m downloading something and there is a system noise playing or I have some other audio going YouTube Video MP played locally whatever So if I was to download a file locally and not play any sounds then you would never know that anything was happening The speakers I m using are KRK Rokit Active Studio Monitors so even if there was any background static I would hear it These monitors are connected to the computer via a Balanced TRS input so I don t even have any normal line quot hum quot at high volumes- so that is how I can tell there is absolutely no static or popping until the PC plays it s own audio Also- I ve tried reproducing the problem by playing audio and downloading a file from the internet It won t produce the popping sound at all Here is my system info Dell Precision T Workstation Windows x Ultimate Service Pack Intel Xeon CPU E GHz amp GHz Processors Intel x Motherboard Intel ICH R Family Controllers I O Hub PCI Express Root Storage GB RAM Nvidia Quadro M-Audio Delta Audiophile Broadcom NetXtreme xx Gigabit Controller That s everything I have hooked up right now- anymore questions and I ll be glad to post what I know I m hoping that this is something common that I just couldn t find in my searches on google Any help advice you could offer I would appreciate it One last thing- I uninstalled and updated all of my system drivers days ago to see if that would stop the problem It didn t change anything Thanks -Ben nbsp

A:Static in PC sound, only when performing local network downloads

Did you uninstall your old sound drivers? Are you using ASIO drivers? Im assuming the M-Audio card already has ASIO built-in? Do you get the pop/static when using the onboard sound? You should stick to XP for music production. Even a dual boot WIN 7/XP setup. Im into music production as well and all of my problems stopped when I ran everything on XP. You can try using virtual XP on Win 7 and see if it helps anything. What DAW are you using?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/static-in-pc-sound-only-when-performing-local-network-downloads.175964/
Relevancy 26.66%

I just upgraded to Win7. In this PC I have 2 HDD, one C drive which works fin, and one additional HDD which I'm able to see in BIOS and Device Manager, but it do not show up in Explorer.
How to get it visible?
Thanks

A:Can't find local installed HDD

Right click my computer > manage, click disk management take a screenshot, post here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-find-local-installed-hdd.176151/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey guys My internet provider has just recently been switched to Time Warner Cable They came by and hooked everything up to my desktop and my internet worked for that day The next day I had to call technical support and road runner services because my computer says I m connected but I m not sending nor receiving area Missing network connection and local controller any packets Road Runner took me through Device Manager where I noticed a big yellow question mark near Other Devices Network Controller Also after going through my Network Connections there s no Local Area Connection listed The techs responded that they couldn t help me unless I fixed my computer software I have already tried going through Computer Management and checking Plug And Play Services amp RPC Missing network controller and local area connection Services Any other suggestions are much appreciated I m currently working off of my laptop because I can t get online with my desktop Any requested information would just Missing network controller and local area connection be done by my usb flash Missing network controller and local area connection drive Thank you so much for your time nbsp

A:Missing network controller and local area connection

Open device manager. Uninstall those device with ? on them. Reinstall drivers for your network adapter.

What devices are listed under network adapter?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-network-controller-and-local-area-connection.174762/
Relevancy 33.97%

I once ran across a simple UI item that allowed me to change LOCAL CONNECTION 2 to LOCAL CONNECTION.

RESOLVED. Open Network and Sharing Center. Click on the icon for the active connection. Change THAT name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-local-net-2-to-local-net.172565/
Relevancy 26.66%

In our network we have many remote sites. We are currently all WinXP Pro but are starting to transition to Windows 7 (64-bit) when we cycle PCs out.

We have been using RealVNC for years instead of RDP because RealVNC allows shared control of the PC between you and the local user (ie: "Show me what you are talking about"). I've tried Tight (which leaves lots remnants after uninstalling), Real (simply does not work unless you buy the Enterprise version, for ~800 computers that just isn't going to work) and Ultra (works, but randomly resets its options and closes down once you log out of a profile).

Is there a way to allow shared control during RDP? If not, is there another VNC-ish program I can try (freeware) that's as reliable as RealVNC has been under XP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/allow-local-user-control-in-rdp.171996/
Relevancy 24.94%

Alright I have a whole bunch of my music and videos on my external hard drive and I got a new Dell XPS yesterday I had been using my external hard drive just fine for the past - yeas now with different laptops working fine I plugged it yesterday to transfer all my music to my new computer and it seemed to be working fine There was an error as the copy rate External Local -- won't open Disk as only working, shows drive hard stopped up slowwed so I decided to delete and try again I did that about times and then decided to just copy the music album by album Eventually I don External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open t know how it ended up happening instead of the Hard Drive coming up as Seagate on the My Computer Tab it started showing up as Local Disk J on my Dell and Local Disk E on my laptop now It doesn t matter where I plug it in Not only that it won t open when I try to open it It will get loaded and then just pause and stop responding I m completely lost My hard drive is Seagate GB nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Hi, first I would run the Seagate diagnostics to check the hard drive is still healthy following this guide.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

If you have a Toshiba hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.Click to expand...

It sounds likely that the circuitry in the drive enclosure is failing (or the drive), if the test won't run then remove the drive from the enclosure and purchase a USB Hard Drive adapter, or use the internal connections in a desktop PC to connect the drive. This should allow you to run the test and/or extract all the files.

If the test runs ok with the drive connected to another PC internally, or with a USB adapter then you will know for sure that it is the enclosure that has failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-working-only-shows-up-as-local-disk-wont-open.169973/
Relevancy 25.8%

I'm missing the "local area connection" for a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop. Hence, I cannot seem to connect to the net.

Anybody got any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

A:Local area connection missing, Dell Inspiron 1300

Is your wireless working? Go under your BIOS and see if the WiFi is enabled or functioning. Download any BIOS updates, WiFi drivers update an etc.. If all is done and you still have the issue. Buy USB WiFi NIC Dongle and test that and see if you can get LAN or WAN connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-missing-dell-inspiron-1300.168709/
Relevancy 21.07%

Here is what I get when I type ipconfig all Host Name Tanya Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List gateway wire net Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description Realtek on Local connection Windows wireless says internet internet My Vista Only connection RTL B Wireless b g Mbp s USB Network Adapter Physical Address - -D -A -FF- A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a ed a d Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address - E- -CE-BB-D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap C E B - EA - D - F B- F B F br DA Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description isatap gateway wire net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.255.53.64(Preferred)Click to expand...

this occures when there is no response to the DHCP request.

First, disable the WiFi, cable a connection to the router and retry; what's the result?

While connected to the router, config it for the:
router address and DHCP range
wifi SSID, Channel
set a new admin password and save the settings.

Disable the wired interface, enable the WiFi and retry the WiFi connection

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-internet-connection-says-local-only-on-windows-vista-wireless-internet-connection.161510/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi guys, i have recently received a message telling me that a network cable is unplugged. Usually i have this problem with local area connection 2, but it always resolves itself while this one does not. I have tried unplugging my dlink and plugging it back in. please give me any suggestions! Sorry if this sounds dumb to you, much appreciated!

A:Local Area Connection [A network cable is unplugged]

Are using a laptop or desktop, if your on a laptop will say that because your not plugged in the LAN on your laptop which you do not need if it is wireless, but if it is your desktop and you are connect to your router it could be that the NIC card is at fault go into device manager to see if there is any problems with NIC card.

1.Also check your network cables make sure they are in secure.

2. Make sure your network adapter is up to date and working.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-a-network-cable-is-unplugged.159744/
Relevancy 26.66%

Let me tell you a bit about my set-up. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and my internet connection is via a Bt homehub.
My problem is every time I start up my PC I don't have internet connection.
The only way to get it is to go to local area connection and disable it, then go back in and enable it and then I have internet access.
I have taken screen shoots of whats happening.
Not sure if the file has uploaded so sorry if you don't see it. New to this site so having to get used to it.

Alan

Can any one see the word file I attached as I can't.

Alan

A:Local Area Connection

Assuming that's a wired and not wifi connection.

Before you boot, disconnect from the BT and let the system present the desktop, then
connection to the BT, wait 30sec and you should have a connection.

Your Firewall should be left active

Like to see the View Connections, but copy the text from this and past into your follow-up:
start->Run->enter IPCONFIG /ALL

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection.156433/
Relevancy 19.78%

Running XP on 2 computers. Have them connected by a router. I set the router IP to 192.168.3.1 Everything connects great! When I connect to a wireless network, it all connects, but doesn't work ("connection timed out" or "Page not found" errors. The wire connection shows an IP of 192.168.2.1. If I disable my Local Area Network, the internet connects perfectly. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I CAN USE MY LOCAL AREA NETWORK AND THE WIRELESS CONNECTION AT THE SAME TIME! Frustrating to the max! Any network specialists out there who can tell me how to fix this? Thanks!!!

A:Conflict between "Wireless Network Connection" & "Local Area Connection"

berkeleygh said:

Running XP on 2 computers. Have them connected by a router. I set the router IP to 192.168.3.1 Everything connects great! When I connect to a wireless network, it all connects, but doesn't work ("connection timed out" or "Page not found" errors. The wire connection shows an IP of 192.168.2.1.Click to expand...

You should know that x.x.2.1 is incorrect. For the router address shown, all devices that connect to it *must* be 192.168.3.x where x > 1 and < 255.

I would suspect that you have some static configuration data in the devices.

You want your router to offer DHCP in the range 2->32 (that's more than enough) and
you want all systems to use DHCP for the IP address and DNS settings.

Remove anything in the Alternative Configurations

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/conflict-between-wireless-network-connection-local-area-connection.154215/
Relevancy 26.66%

hey

the last 5-6 days the network connection sometimes doesn't connecting to Internet.
usually appears after power the pc on. and happened while been connected.

Network- and sharing center
computer ------------ local network --------X------ Internet

sometimes it helps just pull out the cable then plug it in, other is, turn off and on the router, or deactivate and activate the network card.

also tried update driver, but that seemed to mess it more up so i went to device-manager and unistalled the driver, install it again from the cd to the mobo.

the other pc in the house is a laptop using the wireless with no problems.

my sys specs on button +
network card
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, driver version. 7.5.730.2009

router
Inteno X5668b

thanks

A:Unstable local network connection

Do you have the latest driver from Realtek TW. Also note sometimes these adapters go DUFF! Are the lights on the back of the card lite or flashing?

Go into safe mode and remove the driver. Even shutdown the system and pull out the card. If it's onboard NIC, then disable it and get a PCI or PCI-E if you have the shorter PCI-E slot. They can go bad. Since you have ruled out your router isn't the issue and you can use yoru wireless laptop. Then the NIC is the issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unstable-local-network-connection.152991/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have my internet connection saying it is connected but whenever I go onto firefox it tells me it couldnt connect.

ipconfig tells me it encountered an error, repairing connection tells me it can't get into tcp/ip settings. I have tried resetting winsock.

I'm currently not at my computer and I'm being forced to rush, so if you need more specific error messages just tell me and I will post with my phone.

A:Local Area Connection "Connected", no net

Post ipconfig /all
You may be connected to your LAN, but not the internet.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-connected-no-net.149476/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have Vodafone Prepay Broadband so I do not have to plug in any cables. However, recently my internet will not connect properly. The Vodem connects properly but I do not get fully connected as the two pcs with a globe do not appear on my toolbar and no pages will load. When I "Diagnose and Repair" is when I get the message telling me that Local Area Connection 2 is unplugged. I do not understand this as I should not have to plug in anything but the Vodem.

A:Local area connection 2 unplugged

is it the vodem stick that plugs into the usb port? and please mention your operating system

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-2-unplugged.147533/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi guys,

noob here hope someone can help me..

i physically took out my hard drive from my desktop computer and connected it to a HDD dock to transfer data to my laptop.

when i put the hard drive back inside my desktop computer, C:\ and D:\ appears as a folder instead and cannot open when i double click. i have to right click and click open for it to work.

so i did a format on D:\ because there's no data in it originally and now it's back to the original D:\ hard disk icon and works fine when i double click it. but i have alot of valuable info in C:\ that's too large to transfer anywhere else to format.

does anyone know a way to restore the C:\ icon back to the original hard drive icon and double click works without wiping out the data?

A:Local disk drive C:\ appearing as a folder!

read this post there may

read this post there may be some similar problems / fixes for you.....don't forget to use the Micro soft USB disconnect tool before unplugging any devices
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic60377.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-disk-drive-c-appearing-as-a-folder.143381/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi, I have a fujitsu laptop,,,,which I used to use which my modern via local arena connection,,,but 1 day my friend did something to it and now when I connect the jak the pc does not connect?????now I can't see local area network on my network places,,What happens how can I get it back to work. Br gsmnikki

A:Local area connection help

If you can't see the LAN connection listed under Network Connections, your friend probably uninstalled the driver.

1) Open Device Manager. Do you see the network adapter? Rt click and uninstall
2) Now go to the support site for your computer (e.g. Dell, HP, ASUS, etc) download the network driver and reinstall it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-help.139474/
Relevancy 27.09%

Please help on local networking on local area lan networking
with picture please help me thanks

A:Please help on local networking

What operating systems are running on the computers you are trying to connect?

And, on each computer, are you running Windows firewall or do you have another firewall product installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-on-local-networking.136229/
Relevancy 26.66%

I'm plugged into my router (Linksys wrt54g v8) and my connection still says "Limited or no connectivity". I'm running win xp 64 bit sp2. I tried uninstalling my ethernet connection. I've tried winsock xp and it didn't work, I've tried cmd netsh winsock reset. I've tried to repair the connection and it says "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address" and I've also tried resetting the modem and router. Can anyone help me?

A:Local Area Connection Issues

Was your internet working previous to this problem? If it was, have you changed any settings? Theres a way you can set a static IP, and that would stop your IP from renewing. Also, are there any other computers working on the network?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-issues.134305/
Relevancy 25.8%

greetings from South Africa,
I am very new to forums and do not know the correct protocol.
So be gentle with me?
I have a KM4AM Motherboard and the drivers etc.
I bought and installed two LG super multi DVD drives.
When connecting it up I noticed that there was a cable connected to the old secondart CD dive and appeared to go to the motherboard??
I do not know if I unplugged it - however I get the title of my thread when I boot up.
It says 'new found hardware' - Parrallel device'

Any suggestions please

A:Local area connection. A network cable is unplugged

The "Parallel" device is the port driver for your LG DVD drives. You have 2 parallel ports on the motherboard. The blue port is for IDE hard drives. The white port is for your IDE (parallel) DVD drives. How are you connecting to the Internet? The "Local area connection. A network cable is unplugged" message indicates that there is no network cable connected to the motherboards network port. Your Cable or DSL modem attaches to this port

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-a-network-cable-is-unplugged.134325/
Relevancy 26.66%

I am running a computer using Vista and I just moved it from one room to area fixing network help local Need my another Before moving the computer Need help fixing my local area network I had no problems running both Xbox Live and my internet connection on the computer My connection Need help fixing my local area network is a DSL service through SBC and it runs through a D-Link Router that has slots for ethernet cables as shown below - - - - - There are four immediately next to each other on the left and one set apart slightly farther to the right When I Need help fixing my local area network have my three cables one for the modem one for my xbox and one for my computer in the slots on the left I can connect to the internet through my computer as they are right now but not through my Xbox If I move the cable for my computer over to the slot farthest on the right I can connect to Xbox LIve but I can t connect to the internet through my computer If anybody could provide any sort of solution it would be greatly appreciated EDIT Is there a chance that it could be my ethernet cable While I may have moved the computer from one room to another the only change I really made at all was using a longer ethernet cable for my computer to my router nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-fixing-my-local-area-network.130889/
Relevancy 21.93%

I previously set up a home network that worked..then all of a sudden it says Local Only...I do diagnostic...New Ip..doesn't work...disconnect modem..doesn't work...reset adapter..doesn't work....
The desktop is connected via Local Area Connection and I installed a Belkin Wireless Adapter(USB)...
My laptop Dell connects to the ad hoc network wirelessly...
They both connect to the network fine..but my laptop can't connect to the network
* I have already set the LAC to share its internet connection
I cant set the wireless one to share on the desktop..but I have the option to on the laptop but I don't think that would work...
I made my LAC public..I think that was the default...and the wireless Private...Please help!

A:Fix my "Local Only" ad hoc connection

public-private are Vista choices -- you need to use PRIVATE. The public choice is
for use at a hotspot where security is extra tight and Print/File Sharing must be inhibited.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fix-my-local-only-ad-hoc-connection.128228/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello All
My C drive is full is there a way to format it without taking the windows Xp out?
thanks for Help

A:Local disk full

Formatting it, will remove all files and folders, including Windows

Run CCleaner

Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, and remove any not required programs

Download and run KCleaner http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4755-kcleaner.html
(uncheck RelevantKnowledge during install, pic here: http://i42.tinypic.com/aloy8z.gif)
Fully run (it says start actually )

Restart

Check how much space is now available

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-disk-full.127039/
Relevancy 25.37%

Guys, can you help me out, I got my omnibook to try to boot by network, but I can't figure out were to go from here. I don't know what images to put in the boot section (images) on the manager. I don't have a floppy drive in either pc. So I can't run 98 boot disk, or snag the files off of it. I do have the disk for 98se. But I am trying to load xp pro sp2 on this laptop. please help.

A:Argon boot manager: error: unable to read local media

I am needing to find the program to create a virtual floppy drive, or the installxp.img file, can anybody help me?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/argon-boot-manager-error-unable-to-read-local-media.124225/
Relevancy 26.66%

hello friends, i wanted to know the steps to connect my printer to all of my computers on the network.....

thanks

A:How to connect my local printer to the network?

google for 'printserver' which will get an IP address.

It goes on the network and the printer connects to it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-connect-my-local-printer-to-the-network.119007/
Relevancy 26.66%

I'm using a wirless labtop but I'm having an issue where I cannot ping any hostname on the network.
From labtop:
ping hostname of a computer on NW << errmsg 'Ping request could not find host.'
ping IP of a computer on NW and it works.
When I ping local hostname or local IP I get a, 'request timed out'

From another machine on the network:
When I ping the labtop's hostname I get, "Ping Request could not find host..."
When I ping the labtop's IP address I get, "Request timed out."

I also did an IPCONFIG /ALL and pinged the default gateway IP, DNS and DHCP servers and all worked.

Is there any way to configure something here so that the wirless labtop can communicate with the rest of the network?

Windows XP Pro
Compaq Presario Notebook PC

Thanks!

A:Cannot ping local or remote hostnames

this is called Ping By Name, the other form is Ping By IPaddress.

You should always be able to is Ping By IPaddress and if not, then there's a problem
with the TCP settings.

Ping By Name requires some service to translate Name=>Address.
At home, the simplest means is to add the names into the host file.
The file is located at
\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts
You may need to login as an admin id AND to reset the read-only attribute to
be able to save the file.

Use Notepad to do the edit.

The content should be
name (sp) address​there must be at least one (sp) SPACE between the name and the address
eg: linux7srvr 192.168.0.2

ALL THAT SAID, you may have further issues on the network configuration.
The address of each system normally changes everytime you start the system due
to the DHCP service in your router. It is preferable to use DHCP rather than static
addresses, especially when you will seldomly need Ping By Name.

Hopefully, you don't need to debug your network every day, so I would recommend
AGAINST all of the above and use Ping By IPaddress when necessary.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-ping-local-or-remote-hostnames.114315/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello everyone This is my first post I m looking forward to becoming a member of this community Here is my problem I m working on a Windows XP Desktop Dell which is connected to a cable modem using an ethernet cable I also have a Windows Vista Notebook HP which connects to the Internet my secure network wirelessly I use Time Warner Roadrunner as my ISP A month or so ago Time Warner contacted me and asked if A Connection: Unplugged Local Area Cable Network is I wished to quot upgrade quot my Internet service speed for a nominal fee I think it was per month As I am self-employed and frequently upload download large files for my business I decided that this was worth the expense So I agreed to make the upgrade which was done entirely on their end by resetting my modem whole Local Area Connection: A Network Cable is Unplugged process took about seconds Since that time I Local Area Connection: A Network Cable is Unplugged ve had nothing but problems with the wireless connection on the Notebook Any time I attempt to download a large file on to that computer again all done wirelessly the download fails and I lose my Internet connection on that unit e g the small globe icon in system tray which indicates that I am connected to my network disappears and is replaced by a red x or the yellow alert icon At the same time this occurs I get a notification on my desktop PC the one that is connected using the ethernet cable stating Local Area Connection A Network cable is unplugged The outage usually lasts for anywhere from seconds to minutes before restoring itself I have double triple and quadruple checked all of my connections and I can assure you that nothing is unplugged Two calls to Time Warner have yielded little along the way of information or results The first time I called I was told by a snippy tech rep that quot obviously one of your cables it unplugged quot The second time I called I was told that the network card in my desktop was going bad and I needed to replace it Although the second explanation sounds a bit more plausible than the first I remain suspicious Why is it that this problem first manifested itself within hours of my upgrading my Internet speed It never occurred so much as once prior to the upgrade And why does the problem NEVER occur not even once when I am downloading files to my desktop And why do I get errors on BOTH machines when I am attempting to download large files to the wireless machine only A friend who is hardly an expert but who is somewhat in the know seems to think that the problem lies not within the network card but with the ethernet cable itself that it may not be a good enough quality to handle the higher Internet speed He suggests buying a new ethernet cable and seeing if this remedies the problem I m not opposed to that solution but I d like to get other opinions before doing so Thanks so much Mister Winter nbsp

A:Local Area Connection: A Network Cable is Unplugged

First, be sure to update the firmware in the router, the NIC drivers for your wired connectons, and the wireless WiFi driver.

Brand names and model numbers for all network devices may help here.

I've seen cases where this symptom occurred due to the speed of the connection
and as you have just upgraded your network capacity, this may apply to you.

Broadcom 10/100/1000 adapters (and likely any gigabit adapter) set at 1000 flood the simple router and cause it to drop connections.

First try setting 100mb, full duplex and if it is stable stop here

Next try setting 100mb, half duplex and then move to

10mb half duplex.

And why does the problem NEVER occur (not even once) when I am downloading files to my desktop? And why do I get errors on BOTH machines when I am attempting to download large files to the wireless machine only?

A friend?who is hardly an expert, but who is somewhat in the know?seems to think that the problem lies not within the network card but with the ethernet cable itself..Click to expand...

If the wired desktop can run fine, the the cabling is not in question.
The download via the wireless will run much slower than the wired connection
and cause the router to back off -- the speed capacity up to the router is far
greater than the wifi and the problem is in the speed mismatch.

On my Netgear router, I can set the MTU size on the WAN Setup page.
You should have something <= 1500. Personally I use 1492.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-a-network-cable-is-unplugged.110616/
Relevancy 26.66%

Slightly OT, perhaps - I suddenly have a message from my ancient computer: "hard disk controller failure" message, and I'm being advised to maybe finally get a new one. This is a difficult not only because of money at this point, but also because I don't have a reliable repair place (NYC, if anyone has a recommendation).

Is there any way I can tell if a local place in my neighborhood is as good as they like to say they are? Is there a site that discusses this kind of thing, or a site that is good for recommending places? I stopped by a place that helped me a few years ago, and I got a guy who'd only been doing repairs for a year who says it's unfixable - but it might just be ignorance or laziness on his part.

A:Local repair shop reputable?

Unless you know that you have a separate expansion card with a hard disk controller on it (not typical), your hard drive controller is built into the motherboard. As a practical matter they aren't fixable. You would need a new motherboard. Since yours is ancient, any modern, new motherboard would likely need a new processor and RAM as your old equipment is probably obsolete. You might also need a better power supply for you new components.

Because of all the components involved, you might as well buy or build an all new one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-repair-shop-reputable.107018/
Relevancy 26.66%

Question about local DNS and the repair utility I didn t setup this network previous guy did We are running a Windows Server that acts as our DNS server and file server All the DNS and Repair Utility Local clients in-house have static IP s and the primary DNS is the server secondary DNS is our static ISP IP In the host file under C WINDOWS System drivers etc the DNS IP entry is listed there too There are mostly XP SP machines but some Mac s for dev purposes At random the XP machines won t connect to their respective mapped network drives on the server Different departments have access to different drives and permissions are set Local DNS and Repair Utility accordingly Oddly enough you won t lose an internet connection So I don t know the moment it happens until trying to connect to the mapped drives To fix the problem quickly I use the quot Repair quot utility on the NIC It s up and running again until the next time I have researched the hell out of this in Google Even looked at the node type being quot Unknown quot vs quot Hybrid quot Tried editing the registry to fix that issue but it didn t work This started out as being a rare event Now its getting more and more regular What s going on nbsp

A:Local DNS and Repair Utility

tide1 said:

We are running a Windows Server 2003 that acts as our DNS server and file server. All the clients in-house have static IP's and the primary DNS is the server, secondary DNS is our static ISP IP.
In the 'host' file under C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc, the DNS IP entry is listed there too.Click to expand...

should not be necessary

Oddly enough, you won't lose an internet connection. So I don't know the moment it happens until trying to connect to the mapped drives.Click to expand...

demonstrating that the network is sane

To fix the problem quickly I use the "Repair" utility on the NIC. It's up and running again ... until the next time.

I have researched the hell out of this in Google.
Even looked at the node type being "Unknown" vs "Hybrid". Tried editing the registry to fix that issue, but it didn't work.

This started out as being a rare event. Now its getting more and more regular.

What's going on?Click to expand...

hum; I would investigate the server or the LAN for bandwidth saturation. The failure to map is likely to be a timeout issue,
and the REPAIR just delays the retry.

The number of clients accessing the server, number of subnets on the lan,
and major server programs running on the server (eg MsSQL) will predict
the limits to be expected.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-dns-and-repair-utility.103031/
Relevancy 25.8%

I moved into a family apartment and had my landlord hook up my at cable network Local area random unplugged intervals Toshiba Windows laptop to his Lynksys wireless router that everyone in the house is using He gave me a Lynksys USB wireless card also which worked well I was able to connect to the Internet with no problems Last Local area network cable unplugged at random intervals week I had the IT guy at my work hook up a remote desktop server to my computer so I could access my work files from home My work files are not wirelss When I brought my computer home that night I started it up and was on the Internet for about minute when it kicked me offline and then the LAN computer icon on the bottom said quot Network cable unplugged quot Every minute or so the X s on the LAN computer icon go away and it says quot plugged quot again This will last for about seconds and then it becomes unplugged again I think Local area network cable unplugged at random intervals the IT guy changed a setting that kicked me off the wireless router but don t know how to switch the settings back Please help I m not sure if the IT guy even knows what he did nbsp

A:Local area network cable unplugged at random intervals

Firewall

Software that accesses remote (sometimes mainframe) files often needs exceptions (changes) to the firewall. Your IT guy will either have to do it or give you the directions as to what to enable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-network-cable-unplugged-at-random-intervals.101680/
Relevancy 22.79%

howdy all,

I came in this morning from the weekend. Tried to logon but I received the following error message:
"current time on this computer and the current time on the network are different."

I checked the time on our server and it was off by about 10 minutes. I changed the local time on my machine to reflect the same time on our server but still no avail.

Is there a fix to my predicament? Do I need to have the local time be updated by our server every time I logon? Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

-maX

A:Unable to logon - Local time and network time are different

Network setup problem. See your network system administrator, unless that is you.

We use free time clock software available by download. TClockex, and others.
They set your time by reference to an atomic clock online, and you never have to worry about it.

You can also set your desktop to synchronise with the network time automatically at boot, but my memory is not what it used to be.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-logon-local-time-and-network-time-are-different.99837/
Relevancy 26.66%

I connect to work through a Cisco VPN. My home office has a broadband router with two computers and a network printer. I can print from either computer as long as I am not connected to the VPN. However, I would like to be able to print when I am connected to the VPN.

I have enabled Local Lan Access on my VPN settings, but once connected the Properties window says that Local LAN access is disabled.

Any suggestions as to how to configure my system so I can print on my network printer while remaining connected to the VPN?

Thanks!

A:Local network printing with a VPN

Are you using a VPN client to connect to the system? That would complicate matters, a lot.

I'm using a VPN here, with a Cisco router. However, to "log on" to the VPN I just use the Windows logon system with my username/password. I just had to add my network printer (HP LaserJet 6 on a DLink server) to the system as a local administrator, and it was available and working under the VPN account.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-network-printing-with-a-vpn.14535/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi thanks for looking,
I have just recently reinstalled windows. When I plug in the lan cable, no LAN connection comes up. I have never had this problem before and usually just doing this will allow me to have internet.
Whats wrong? How can I fix?

Thanks

A:Local Area Network (LAN) connection isnt showing up in connections

It needs a Driver. You'll need to visit the Motherboard Manufacturers website & download the driver for your model board.

Before you go there, look in Device Manager {control panel / system /hardware} and see if anything else has an exclamation mark - they'll require drivers too!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-network-lan-connection-isnt-showing-up-in-connections.94222/
Relevancy 26.23%

Problem. I have two computers upstairs /downstairs. Upstairs is main one running vista with belkin router/modem broadband. Downstais computer XP with Belkin usb aerial ( or whatever). I use the 'set up a home or small office network' on my xp machine but the Belkin icon doesn't remain green (or red) it goes grey. I then can connect to the internet and I can read files that are on my vista computer. Problem, if iI switch off my XP machine or it 'sleeps' then I lose my connection and I have to reinstall the network as above.
So how Can this local network be 'saved' so that I don't have to run the wizard to connect? hope that is clear for all you experts out there

A:Local network drops out when computer switched off

Are you using the Belkin Software, or the Windows Wireless ?

If you are using the Belkin and it doesn't remember your WEP or whatever, use the Windows Wireless Setup in the Control Panel, forget about the Belkin and it SHOULD remember the settings and connect automatically each time you boot

OR see if there's a newer version of the Belkin software as that obviously has a fault.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-network-drops-out-when-computer-switched-off.93939/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello I am trying to network the following Billion myguard G wireless router x LAN and phone line in Samsung X running Windows XP Toshiba Portege with docking station running Windows router with USB local wireless 3G Networking modem? SE Printer old printer port thing but still works so I d like to use it can only connect to the Toshiba as Samsung doesn t have that port Scanner USB Huawei E wireless USB G modem and in the future plan on adding an external HD and or desktop PC Maybe also new printer when the old one dies blush At the moment I have internet via the Huawei modem Networking local wireless router with 3G USB modem? connected to the Samsung laptop Previously I had internet via ADSL to the Billion wireless router I have tried Networking local wireless router with 3G USB modem? to connect the Samsung laptop with internet and Toshiba to the router via wireless and LAN without any joy I don t know if it is settings physical connections or you just can t do that I d like to keep the Toshiba running Windows SE as I still use some software that I haven t been able to get to work on XP and the G modem will not work with this OS one reason I d like to network it I can make a crossover cable to connect the two computers but would like even if just for the project appeal to have a more permanent and expandable wireless network where the computers are free to move Can USB hardware like HD s and printers be connected to the router via an adaptor Can the G USB modem be connected directly to the router Basically I just need the router to be a local network router now and not a gateway to the internet if I got that terminology right J as I use the USB modem with a G wireless ISP Has anyone else tried to do something like this Thanks in advance and I hope I got the terminology somewhere close nbsp

A:Networking local wireless router with 3G USB modem?

No, you can not connect a USB modem to the router. You can make one computer connect to the internet using that modem and then share that internet to all the others through the router.

To configure the router, follow the guidelines for using two routers (plenty of threads and isntrucions on the net for that) imagining that the modem computer is the "primary" router.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-local-wireless-router-with-3g-usb-modem.90382/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi guys.

I just thought i'd come to you...YET AGAIN...for another computer problem!

You see I recently just bought a D-Link Wireless router and after a couple of games of Warcraft 3 my connection would be lost!

I went to see what was wrong and I found THIS in place of what I normally see to repair.

I tried repairing it but no luck.

I'm being forced to use just my broadband box but it still shows up.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

A:Help with Local Area Connection/Router!

Hum.. That picture is not helpful at all.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-local-area-connection-router.89161/
Relevancy 26.23%

I want to play Warcraft 3 over Local area network, but i don't have a clue what to do.Me and my friend both have cable internet and i'm the only person that has router . thanks

A:How do i connect two computers with local area netwok?

Check out this page. I hope it helps you...http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=560705

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-connect-two-computers-with-local-area-netwok.88179/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello everyone, I hope this is where i am supposed to post this...

I work from home on a computer that is directly connected to our satelite internet and from that point there is a D-Link wbr 2310 wireless router connected to my computer in order for us to run our second computer in the other room.
I most often will get a bubble that comes up on my computer that states "local area connection unplugged". This happens when the other computer is on OR off. Could this be caused from the wireless router? When i am working i also use a VOIP program that i log into. This does not happen every time but on some days it will happen 2-3 times. The disconnection is not for very long but it will kick me out of my VOIP program and make me reconnect.

Can someone please help with this??

A:Local area connection unplugged

Is it possible to run a day without the router....just for process of elimination? I'm not familiar with satellite myself, so I probably won't be a lot of help, but eliminating things one at a time is usually a help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-unplugged.87977/
Relevancy 26.23%

hi there i have a problem with my local area connection for some time now i get this message that s in the title of this thread i tried handling it myself and while doing so i tried to no limiter connectivity connection or Area Local disable or renew my ip that s what i limiter or no connectivity Local Area connection found in some forum while trying that i got an error message saying unable to contact your dhcp server at this point i gave up since i don t really understand too much about this stuff another thing which might be related to this matter is another error i get in my uTorrent program which says that something is limiting my network traffic and download speed really seems a lot slower i tried to open a port on windows firewall but it didn t help i also have Comodo firewall and as far as know the program is allowed to connect but when i tried to test the port via the uTorrent program i got an error Welcome to the Torrent Port Checker A test will be performed on your computer to check if the limiter or no connectivity Local Area connection specified port is opened Checking port on Error Port does not appear to be open Please see www portforward com for more information about how to map a port Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian or Protowall is allowing utorrent com in limiter or no connectivity Local Area connection either of those programs Those of you using ipfilter dat should make sure the list does not include the website s IP After making sure of this re-run this test by refreshing the page F first question i have is general what is this local area connection i have another connection running under my isp s name and there s no problem over there are the two problems related what can i do about it but please answer in simple language i m not a computer expert and all the professional words don t mean much to me hope you can help nbsp

A:limiter or no connectivity Local Area connection

You need to go into your router and Open ports for your PC that using using with this program called uTorrents.

Example: 192.189.9.10 - was the pc you're running the software on...

In the Router there will be section called Port Forwarding..

Port# 111111 -to- 19999 (TCP or Both (UDP) for PC 192.189.9.0

That's how it's done.. If your router is UnPn supported then you don't have to do a thing. The router will setup the port you need. But in the program called uTorrent you need to open the ports 11111 or 199999... Another bit is you can use Port# 111111 to 111111 instead of a range.

Make sure your firewall supports these ports otherwise these ports will be blocked

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limiter-or-no-connectivity-local-area-connection.88106/
Relevancy 25.8%

hello,i have a problem : my local area connection icon in notification bar apears slowely on starting up my windows (xp sp2) and until it apears i can't see my internet connections and connect to internet. i use an adsl modem is connected with ethernet (lan) cable to my pc.how can i fix this problem?

A:slow local area connection icon on startup

How slow?
Check NIC in the device manager for errors.
Check NIC properties and make sure it is all set to automatic.
Turn off the firewall pro tem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-local-area-connection-icon-on-startup.86590/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello,

Yesterday i installed the Linksys BEFSR41 DSL router. The connection to the internet works from every port/switch (1 to 4). But the pc`s that are connected to the ports can't "see" eachother, so i can`t share files or printers. If i put another switch on a port of the linksys and i connect the pc`s to that switch then they "see" eachother and they can connect to the internet. But then i don`t use 3 ports of the Linksys :-(
What could be the problem? I think it should be a setting in the Linksys, i tried some but it didn`t work. Which setting could it be?

Greetz,

DJ

A:Connection Problem with local network Linksys BEFSR41v4

May be problem with subnet mask

Hi ,

As for my knowledge,
If you want to connect to another system on your router , all the connections should have the same "Sub net Mask"

You can see the subnet mask assigned using start -> run -> cmd

and "ipconfig/all"

Regards,
-Sidhi

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connection-problem-with-local-network-linksys-befsr41v4.41816/
Relevancy 26.66%

I'm not sure if this is the right section, but...

I recently recieved a Dell laptop fro ma friend, and the hard drive had been completely wiped using KillDisk. I was supplied with the Windows XP disk used to install the XP onto the computer.

When I turned on the laptop, I recieve a message that "no boot system can be found", and it then went on to check other modes for a boot device. We rebooted and inserted the XP installation disk, but the laptop was unable to find it either. It won't allow us to install the opperating system off of the disk, and we can't use the laptop because it won't fully boot up. Any suggestions?

A:Unable to local boot device

Please give us the model of the laptop, and the service tag number.
I would go to the website of the hard drive manufacturer, unless it is a Toshiba.
Toshiba does not offer drive fitness tools...
Download the drive fitness tools and setup up software for that drive.
Then inspect your BIOS for boot order, so that the optical drive is first to boot.
If the laptop has a floppy drive, boot to a MS-DOS or Windows 98 boot/System disc and see how the drive is detected there. Delete the partition in the last line for unknown, and reformat as FAT32 partition. Then reboot to the Windows Disc, where it will detect and reformat it as NTFS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-local-boot-device.82116/
Relevancy 26.66%

I shut down my computer a few days ago and when I restart it does not connect. I get the following statement, " Local area connnection unpluged via Rhine II Fast Ethernet. However I also get "1394 Connection Connected.
Thus I am able to use my laptop. Any suggestions?

Thanks

sounds as if the 1394 adapter (used for Firewire) got bridged to your LAN adapter.

checkout the properties of both in View Network Connections.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection.81986/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have a Netgear wgr614 router that is acting strangely. The error message I receive in the sys tray what is in the title of the thread. When the message appears, all 4 port lights are lit up on the router and access to the internet is interupted for a few seconds. This was happening more and more. I have checked the cables etc.
I followed Microsoft's tech article (see below and changed the speed/duplex properties to Force 10 Half Duplex. The problem is starting to come back but not as fast...maybe a half dozen times in an hour as opposed to constantly. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dan

)http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910389

A:Local area connection error message...a cable is unplugged

You have that lovely error message (NOT!) Yeah, it's a tough one to diagnose.

Did you make sure that your Windows Firewall is disabled? Are you using Norton or any other Internet security package that might contain a firewall that could be on by default?

BTW, did you just setup the router or did this happen out of the blue?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-error-message-a-cable-is-unplugged.80744/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi all I am currently locking down a PC for a client of mine PC is used as a Local Group Policy Pro) question (WinXP DMZ used by the public only to access the internet PC Local Group Policy question (WinXP Pro) runs Windows XP Pro SP While configuring the Local Group Policy through gpedit msc or through mmc Local Group Policy question (WinXP Pro) - add remove snap-in I realised that while applying policies at the quot User quot level the administrator account also inherits these policies Sames goes if applied at the quot Computer quot level but that goes without saying Luckily I was not applying them directly to the PC in question rather applying local policies through a VMware session on my laptop just in case something like this happened My question is how can I apply strong Local Group Policies on a PC WITHOUT the administrator account inheriting them I tried setting quot Deny quot permissions on the C WINDOWS System GroupPolicy folder but to make changes to GPO s you need access to this folder I did work though I should also say that this PC is not joined to the Domain and is on a separate subnet to all other PC s Any help would be apreciated Cheers nbsp

A:Local Group Policy question (WinXP Pro)

This is a very knowledgeable site BUT, if you receive no answer here, these people are very often quite helpful with Network stuff;

http://forums.windrivers.com/index.php?

gl

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-group-policy-question-winxp-pro.79572/
Relevancy 26.66%

(Sorry, not sure if this was the right spot to post this, but...)
I recently received a new modem today from an RCN guy, and its been working great. However, every so often, a bubble would pop up saying my local area connection is unplugged for about a split second. Any ideas on how to stop this?

A:Local Area Connection Unplugged

Is it a modem or a router?

Either way, it could be an issue with the device itself (a firmware update may fix that), the cable (try another cable), your network card being bad (try another one), or some software issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-unplugged.77114/
Relevancy 26.23%

OMG, please help.I would ask my brother who always fixes things but he isn't here.
I love to go on this one game that is very small and doesn't need much to run.It is called Furcadia..
Everytime I open it, this appears in a bubble on the bottem right.
I can't get it to stop and it disconnects..It does this occasionaly but tonight it was constant and it wont stop.
The internet wouldn't connect or anything for awhile and now it works and I need help on what to do to fix it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-4-a-cable-is-unplugged.73489/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi guys

I have had this problem for about One year now where my Local Area Connection disconnects randomly and i receive a little pop up saying "Local Area Connection Unplugged". The dissconection only lasts one or two second then my internet is back and also it only happens once or twice every hour or sometimes does not happen for 5 hours or even a whole day. My router is D-link. Do you guys think that this problem has something to do with the router or could it be my computer or both?

A:Local Area Connection Unplugged Blinking.

It could be bad network cable, bad network interface or just your ethernet chip and the router's ethernet chip not liking each other.

First, try setting the link speed and duplex manually to 100Mbit full duplex in your network card properties. Ethernet speed autonegotiation is not perfect and often breaks. If that doesn't help, replace your network cable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-unplugged-blinking.73163/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi guys I still have this problem please help I have pcs desktops amp laptop Router Model no XWL- GRAR I have an X-Micro Router I sent the first one back now on the second unit x-micro also say there is no firmware to install for this unit its to new PC amp PC are hard wired into the router both are O S win k AVG anti virus The laptop is wireless O S win XP home amp norton anti virus Everything works fine until I shut down the laptop Then the trouble starts A bubble appears bottom right says local area connection unplugged This happens Every Seconds it Re-Connects amp then disconnects on both desktop pcs at the same time If I restart the laptop the connection is cable network unplugged area local is then stable again on all pcs This is what i have done so far sent the router back and recieved replacement still no good checks done are - plug in pc hard wired result it disconnects then reconnects every secs plug in pc hard wired result it disconnects then reconnects every secs plug in laptop it works local area network cable unplugged fine ok no problem So this points to O S or the anti virus system ON pc amp being the problem but if it is why does every thing work correctly on pc amp while ever the laptop is local area network cable unplugged connected ive been trying to sort this out since xmas can any body help please note this bubble pops up every secs On PC amp Even when the router is unplugged from the modem please also note That pc amp pc work correctly when plugged directly into the modem and never disconnect SO as its Hard wired I would have thought it should still work Just like an extention lead what can i do Does anyone out there have an X - MICRO ROUTER on Win K nbsp

A:local area network cable unplugged

boy, this stinks! I would look for another manufacture's product!

disconnecting one device should not effect the others on that same router -- EVER!

(of course all others lose their print/file shares to the disconnected system :knock

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-network-cable-unplugged.71282/
Relevancy 22.79%

HI,

I have installed server 2003 on a small network and created a domain that is the same as the public domain name (ie the companies website).

This is now causing a problem because when i type in the public address (for example www.company.com) it is trying to resolve it locally - because the local domain name is also company.com.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get round this problem?

Many thanks in advance

Dave

A:problem with the local network having the same domain name as the public network

add 'local.' to the internal domain or change it altogether.

Your public domain should not have any connection into your private infrastructure,
but you may have references from private->public; not very common.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-the-local-network-having-the-same-domain-name-as-the-public-network.69968/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have not posted before, so I hope I am doing it correctly. My computer has a bubble that keeps appearing Local area connection unplugged. I am online and have checked all connections and everything seems fine. I use Internet Explorer with Optonline ethernet. Any suggestions.

A:Local area connection unplugged

Hi Stacey and welcome to the TS Forum, yes your post is ok and in the right place..

The message you are getting is caused by windows saying that an active network connection has no cable plugged into it.

The cause may be because you have more than 1 ethernet connection such as a wired Ethernet socket, a Wireless ethernet connection, and lastly a USB ethernet connection.

You dont say which you are using at present, but if you click

START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL >NETWORK CONNECTIONS.

You will see a list of available network connections, one will show "network cable unplugged, or there may be more than one, again dependant on what the system has.

On the one showing cable unplugged, right click it and choose "Disable", this will tell the OS to stop looking at it.

WARNING......

This message can also appear if the active internet connection has a faulty cable or the input socket is faulty, disabling the interface may cause you to lose internet connection if this happens you need to check the cable that plugs into the socket for loose wires and replace if needed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-unplugged.66748/
Relevancy 26.23%

I have (LG) Wireless local loop phone LSP-3500. This set is connected with computer via USB port. The problem is that my computer hangs up when I try to dial-up internet from this phone. I figured out that the problem lies in USB connection because this set USB connection is not USB 2 compatible. Kindly tell how to configure USB connection to be compatible with USB 2.

Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lg-wireless-local-loop-phone-lsp-3500-and-usb.66009/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi, i have a problem here, i have three comps in my house. it's all connected via an access point. I usually use it for sharing my internet connection and my files. The problem is, i can't send messages to my other computer. I tried to use "net send" from the command prompt, i always display error message. i also tried to use messaging program, but all of itu requires somekind of domain. my network does not use a domain. just a simple computer networking. can anyone help me? Thank you.

A:Local Messaging

Start run "winchat" may work!!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-messaging.64325/
Relevancy 26.66%

hey everyone im a newbie so take pity.. i just purchased a acer 5100 notbook with wireless connectivity and the wireless connection is workin my desktop is working but my local area connection on notebook says network cable unplugged....? any suggestions or advice on how to get my notebook up and runnin.. thanks in advance

A:local area connection problems

If you are on wireless, you don't need "local area connection", which usually just means your network card.

The message is harmless and Windows is just telling you that you don't have a cable plugged in. It's a status message.
If you always use wireless, I would just disable the network card, so that will stop. If you use both, you can go into the poperties of the network card and tell it NOT to show you connectivity messages.

However, if you DO have a cable plugged in, and it still says it, that could be other things.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-problems.58342/
Relevancy 27.09%

Can linux be installed to a HDD on one pc then the drive located to another as mastr?

Ok i'm here hoping to gain some advice and maybe a couple of pointers. I've just installed a 40GB HDD next to my 160GB existing one, thing is I also want to install linux.

Do you think i should put both windows and linux onto the 40gb hdd in order to dedicate the other to file storage? If so should i partition it for each OS (not sure if required as is). Any links to resources related to the matter would be appreciated.

As stated in the title, just another thought as the cd-rom in the original pc isn't working, am considering use as a server or something along those lines using linux.

Thanks for any consideration.

A:Two local HDD one dedicated to OSs' or one each? (in brief)

Yes, you can move Linux installations between computers. If the CPU architecture is slightly different (say, a HT P4 and a measly Duron), then you'd have to replace the kernel. Can't move between 64-bit and 32-bit of course. If the hard drive location changes (from slave to master), then you have to fix the bootloader.

You can install Linux no problem even without a CD-ROM. Just boot using a floppy and load the installation files from a hard drive, over the LAN or even across the internet.

In the same computer..

Since you won't be running the OS in parallel, then speed wise it would make sense to have both OS on the 40GB.

You don't have to partition the second drive with dedicated partitionss for Linux and Windows. You have a choice between several filesystems readable by both OS:
- Both Linux and Windows can handle the FAT32 filesystem just fine. You may run into problems with very long pathnames and data integrity in case of crashes though.
- If you install Captive-NTFS, then Linux can write to NTFS no problem. Depending on your distro, it may take some effort to make this work
- You can install a special driver in Windows that lets it use Ext2 and Ext3 filesystems.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-local-hdd-one-dedicated-to-oss-or-one-each-in-brief.51193/
Relevancy 26.66%

ever since today my computer started having this error message saying network cable unplugged or something. my computer can't shut down. everytime i shut it down it restarts back up. the only way to shut it down is to shut the power. please help! internet doesnt work too.

A:local area connection help

If you have a PCI NIC,here are some possibilities -

Faulty NIC.
Poor connection between your NIC and the cable.
Poor connection between the cable and the hub/router/switch/modem.
Faulty cable.
Faulty hub/router/switch/modem.

Look in the Device manager.Does any network component have a yellow symbol next to to it ?

Try moving the NIC to another PCI slot,then restart the computer.
Windows should reinstall it.

Buy another NIC

System restore.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-help.48976/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi this will be my first post on the TS forums and I m sure it won t be my last Today I present to you a recurring problem regarding my connectivity or lack thereof Before I begin to explain my situation I will tell you the detail that I have found in each case This problem seems to occur every single time there is a sudden power outage even when there is power again it fails to function properly The problem that I have is somewhat stated in the thread topic however I will explain it again anyways When I turn on my computer after an outage everything loads properly as it should however the LAN display says quot Local Area Connection Cable is Unplugged quot Now after trial and error I have come to the conclusion it is NOT the ethernet cable but it must be a problem within the computer itself I know it is not a problem with the ethernet cable router or DSL box because I have plugged it into a laptop and it works fine I checked all the connectivity from the computer and it physically says that the cable is connected the LED s light up in the back I wouldn t be bothered if it was an incorrect diagnosis that allowed me to still use internet but not only is it incorrect but it discontinues my internet use Unplugged is isn't) it Connection (when Cable Local Area I have left it Local Area Connection Cable is Unplugged (when it isn't) alone in the past and it somehow comes back online but I would really appreciate it if someone could help me solve this problem or protect against future problems I have tried the following remedies -replacing the ethernet cable -uninstalling the intel ethernet card then reinstalling it -unchecked the quot allow the computer to turn off this device to save power quot option in the NIC props -Changed the Linkspeed and Duplex speed I have tried full full half half and autodetect -tried system restore to an earlier time -unplugging everything waiting a while then rebooting all of it I have not tried - restoring the computer to quot Fail-Safe quot option - reformatting computer btw I have windows XP SP installed nbsp

A:Local Area Connection Cable is Unplugged (when it isn't)

driver

have you tryed updating the driver

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-cable-is-unplugged-when-it-isnt.46642/
Relevancy 26.23%

Ok, so I want to veiw my advanced settings in my Local Area Conections. I open my Network conection folder, than I see my 2 conections, a LAN and a dail-up(I use LAN). I right click on my LAN one and then I click the advanced tab. But istead of showing mre a laist of what ever is supposed to be there it says, " Windows cannot display the properties of this connection. The Windows Managment Instrubatation( I know its miss-spelt)(WMI) information might be corupted. To correct this use system restore to restore Windows to an earlier time(called a restore point). System restore is loocated in system tools in accesories." I know it says to system restore but I did already but that didnt do squat. Please help

A:I cant see my advanced settings for my local area conection

Delete the network interface in Device Manager and let Windows reinstall it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-cant-see-my-advanced-settings-for-my-local-area-conection.45333/
Relevancy 26.66%

hi all first of all thanks for this excellent forum this is my first post Conflicting networks local in this forum actually i have spent a lot of times in Conflicting local networks the web for this problem and couldn t find a perfect solution for this the problem purely deals with networking although this may seem to be silly for some but not for me i have two systems directly connected to each other using the ethernet cable in my home at first the networking was very good lots of games and file sharing my networking ip addresses Conflicting local networks are lan configuration comp ip subnet mask Gateway comp ip subnet mask Gateway everything was fine with the intranet until i got a adsl modem for the internet on one system it was a k broadband connection i used a usb to connect the st system to the adsl modem and used a quot Always on quot connection i found that the connection was based on quot PPPoE quot and here comes the problem the adsl modem s default address is quot quot to access the modem configurations so i need to use that to my modem and when i connect the st system with modem alone without the lan lan disabled or unplugged i can access the internet but if i enable the lan along with the modem on i can t able to access the internet but it shows that it is connected only lan is possible at a time the network configuration in the st system actually shows two lan connections separately one my intranet and other internet my nd lan connection internet configuration is ip subnet mask gateway i m sure that there is a conflict between the two lan configurations ip address and the gateways so i changed on both the lan connection separately and simultaneously with many different ip s and gateways x x x and x x x and also may x x x but couldn t do anything actually i dont wont to share the internet connection with two systems but need the intranet for the two systems and internet for the first system alone so i could finally work either with only one at a time is there a solution for this conflict sorry Conflicting local networks for this big description puke since i need to make a clear picture of my problem thanks ur support and comments are welcomed nbsp

A:Conflicting local networks

try this

Well me and my fellow co worker have came up with the idea to just buy another nic or get a switch if you don't mind the internet on both computers. But you don't so go with the nic because the usb doesn't follow the same rules as a nic. Aslo let the modem do its dhcp 192.168.1.1(gateway or modem) 192.168.1.2 nic(internet) and configure the other nic(intranet) with a higher network like 192.168.2.1 and the interer computer 192.168.2.2 and the gateway 192.168.2.1
That should solve it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/conflicting-local-networks.42107/
Relevancy 26.66%

My damn computer (as i'm typing) says in a pop up in the lower right corner Local Area Connection - "A network cable unplugged" for a sec and goes away and it's slowing down my computer ! Whats the cause of this?

A few things can cause this. They include:
Poor connection between your NIC and the cable.
Poor connection between the cable and the hub/router/switch/modem.
Faulty cable.
Faulty NIC.
Faulty hub/router/switch/modem.

My suggestion is to make sure its properly pushed in on both ends, and if it continues get another cable.

I have moved this thread from Distributed Computing to Storage and Networking, please post threads in the proper forum in the future.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection.41670/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi all!

I have a local home network of 3 computers via a linksys cable router. They are computers A, B, and C. They all are running Win XP Pro. I have been successfully gaming with all three computers before and able to access files from each other. However, I have recently had a problem accessing files on computer A from B or C. A can access shared files from B or C just fine. B or C can ping A by both IP address and name, but if B or C does a Net View of A the result comes back as Access is Denied. Net Send is able to send a message to computer A just fine.

I have checked time and again that computer A is sharing files out to the network and that the windows firewall is not enabled. Any suggestions?

A:Problems sharing files on local network

Check to make sure that both folder permissions and NTFS permissions (under the security tab) are set to Everyone with at least Read permission.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-sharing-files-on-local-network.40766/
Relevancy 25.8%

When using certain programs, I loose the internet connection. After a brief period it will come back on line and if the same program is active, the process will repeat untill I shut down the offending program. The error message presented is "local area connection network cable unplugged". Everything works fine as long as I do not start certain programs. The error is self correcting, but interrupts the communications that were occuring at that time. This is a new problem that arose after I optimed my cable modem settings. Does anyone know what I have done so that I might correct this situation?

A:Local Area Connection Network Cable Unplugged

Jallen said:

When using certain programs, I loose the internet connection. After a brief period it will come back on line and if the same program is active, the process will repeat untill I shut down the offending program. The error message presented is "local area connection network cable unplugged". Everything works fine as long as I do not start certain programs. The error is self correcting, but interrupts the communications that were occuring at that time. This is a new problem that arose after I optimed my cable modem settings. Does anyone know what I have done so that I might correct this situation?Click to expand...

firstly, what certain programs are we talking about?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-network-cable-unplugged.40316/
Relevancy 26.66%

I get page cannot be displayed errors all the time and I can't access this specific site either http://127.0.0.1/ doesn't work how could I fix this.

A:Can't connect to local host or other sites

Follow these instructions EXACTLY and put HijackThis in e.g C:\Program Files\HJT and NOT in Temp or on the Desktop!.
How to remove Begin2Search/Coolwebsearch and Other Nasties

Then see How to post your Hijackthis log-files as an attachment.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-connect-to-local-host-or-other-sites.32456/
Relevancy 26.66%

starting computer can't find local connection, I have to restart to find it. It's fustrating and cannot get any help from manufacture or server. do you happen toknow why :bounce:

A:Can't find local connection

I don't think anyone happens to know why since you supplied virtually no information.

What is broken? What do you want to do? What kind of computer? What kind of operating system? What kind of network? What kind of network setup?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-find-local-connection.27445/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have a high quality, but yet old Epson Expression 636 hooked up to my computer. It's not usb so I can't just do a usb wireless server or anything because it runs through a specific pci-card on my pcu. With this I don't know if it possible to be able to share the scanner usage with 10 other computers on the same workgroup or not. If anyone knows where to start I would GREATLY appreciate the help. Thanks a lot

Andy

A:Help with running a scanner through a local network

Hi

From what your saying I really don't think there is a way (using windows settings/utilities) to share the scanner. I think you may need to search through google for software that enables you to share devices such as your scanner.

Good Luck

Tom

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-running-a-scanner-through-a-local-network.21573/
Relevancy 26.66%

I realized that my mothers computer only has about MB of space left on her HD and she dosn t even have Office or any disk? How a direct local to from away the load sort of anti-virus software loaded What could I do but buy her an early X-mas How to direct a load away from the local disk? gift and get her the external HD she wanted the machine is older and not upgradable Well I got it all hooked up but when I tried to load Works Suite onto it becuase the only How to direct a load away from the local disk? version of Office wasn t compatable with her Windows ME operating System it automatically tries to load to the local disk I was searching for some sort of manual load on the disk but couldn t find one Now she has all this space but no way to load it to the E drive I created for her I know I m forgetting something because I ve been on vacation now for a month and a half yeah I m a little bit more than rusty so if someone could help me think of something to try I d love to hear it because I don t know what I d tell her if I went to all this trouble and don t know how to do this Thank You nbsp

A:How to direct a load away from the local disk?

Normally it offers you a choice of Standard/Complete/Custom when installing a program.
Pick the Custom option, where you can change, where to install programs.
Once installed, go into the Tools option of each program and change the Default directory to the new E-drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-direct-a-load-away-from-the-local-disk.15020/
Relevancy 26.66%

Recently I went to quot My Computer quot meaning to check my CD ROM drive in error I Local Checking Disk clicked on quot Check Local Checking Local Disk Disk quot it started so I let it run it came up quot Scan for amp attempt recovery of bad sectors quot I said OK amp it went through Phases amp in twenty minutes then quot Disk Checked quot I clicked on OK Since then when I boot up within a minute the dialler is there amp in next to no time I m on-line before I had to go to Internet Explorer or Outlook Express before the dialler would appear tell me it s not a coincidence what exactly does this facility do I know the quot Scan for etc IS self-xplanatory but how amp has anyone else tried this I guess they have Also it said quot Check Hard Drive amp check Local Disk quot I m still learning as you can gather so what is the difference please Another facility was quot Automatically fix files system errors quot should I have done that too Hope this isn t too involved but it IS all on the same subject Thanks nbsp

A:Checking Local Disk

This function is unrelated to your internet connection. Its used to check the file system on a hard drive partition to look for any potential problems. From your description, none were found, and your problems most likely stem from something else, such as internet connection misconfiguration.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/checking-local-disk.7439/
Relevancy 26.66%

I haven't had any problems borwsing my network until a few days ago. I did nothing to change and now i can't get on ANY computers on my network, not even any of hte ones in my room. Going directly through the hub, it is strange. Anything I can do to change the situation would be greatly apprecited as I need to get files off a friends computer. Thanks again
Oh I am running xp pro

A:Can't access local network anymore

Have you asked your school's network admin for help? He may be messing around with a few things...Changing protocols, etc. etc.

You could try a Sneakernet

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-local-network-anymore.2770/
Relevancy 26.66%

Does anyone know if there is a way to setup a log that shows what people have downloaded from my local network, and what their computer name is? It isn't a big deal, but would be kind of nice to see what certain people wanted.

A:Log for local network sharing

I think you should find an app from Network Information Tools - TotalShareware Software Archive

If you want to go overkill - check out the ultimate network analyzer: The Ethereal Network Analyzer. I was quite amazed of how much information is being transferred all the time on LAN.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/log-for-local-network-sharing.2785/
Relevancy 23.22%

I m "Active Domain Directory shutdown Services local unavailable" PC. Can't trying to remotely shutdown another PC in my home from my Desktop PC My Desktop PC is bit Win Home but I don t think it matters since a Google search shows every version of Windows AFTER XP has this problem I have the Win Preview running on a computer in another room I d like to be able to shut it down remotely from my primary Win computer To do this I run quot shutdown I quot from the command prompt The dialog appears but when I try to quot Browse quot the network for the other PC I get an error message telling me quot Active Directory Domain Services unavailable quot This happens whether I do this from the Win PC or the Win PC so I know it s not a hardware or OS specific thing It also happens if I try to do the same directly from the CLI I don t want to have to setup a Server just to do this one tiny thing Any ideas TIA nbsp

A:Can't shutdown local PC. "Active Directory Domain Services unavailable"

When you say remotely do you mean Remote Desktop? If so, have you tried pressing Ctrl_Alt_End and then clicking on shutdown?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-shutdown-local-pc-active-directory-domain-services-unavailable.214692/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello I am currently using Skydrive to synchronize files to changes Skydrive in file paths Excel path cloud local and folders between Skydrive changes local file paths to cloud path in Excel my home and office computers I created an Excel file which has hyperlinks linking to files located under the same folder as the Excel file on the local hard disk In the past I was using Excel and the synching would work fine I would open the excel file in any of the two computers and when I clicked on the hyperlinks the file stored on the local hard disk would open Recently I purchased Office and suddenly the paths in the hyperlinks linking to the files were changed from a local relative location I e test xlsx Skydrive changes local file paths to cloud path in Excel to a cloud address I e http d docs live net afodfldfad test xlsx On top of that even if I click on the hyperlink the file does not open Also Skydrive keeps creating copies of the files at random with the name of the computer where it was modified at the end I e test-Home-PC xlsx Anybody know the reason for this and a way around it Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/skydrive-changes-local-file-paths-to-cloud-path-in-excel.193260/
Relevancy 22.36%

A really stupid question, but perhaps for that reason I cannot find the answer stated explicitly anywhere:

With regard to the threat description used in Windows update documentation, I have always assumed that a "local attacker" is someone actually sitting at my desk. Is this correct?

In this case, presumably an "authenticated local attacker" is someone sitting at my desk who has got hold of my password?

If the answer to both questions is 'yes' then I guess there is really no point in my installing updates involving a 'local' threat?

Incidentally, while trying to find the answer with Google I ended up with a 'captcha' page, apparently to check I wasn't a robot! My machine was sending unusual traffic or something. My numerous searches with slightly different choice of words must have triggered something. Weird and scary!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-attacker-updates.205594/
Relevancy 26.66%

New guy here,

We have a server 2008 R2 (32) which is a domain controller, we recently switched from open storage (6 raid-5 drives in the server) to closed storage (removing the drive) every night. I do not want staff pulling the power on a domain controller every night to remove the drives, so I looked in the GPO "log on locally' and 'allow shut down'.

This works, however, the temptation is there to 'look around', see what we can see, etc.

Is there a way, either a security setting or a batch file that staff without admin right can log onto a server, down the server correctly, but not open windows explore.

I am thinking some way to write a script "IF logon server = \\DCSERVER then noaccess browsing" something like that, that is your are not an admin, and log onto a server, your Windows Explorer rights are limited.

Thanks.

b

A:Server 2008 and local logon

Ok, after thinking about this, not using a script but a local policy to "hide the C: drive"

Is there a way assign a server local group to have the C: drive hidden from them?

b.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/server-2008-and-local-logon.200448/
Relevancy 22.36%

Does anyone know of a way to synchronize any local calendar client (like Outlook, Sunbird, or iCal) with any web based calendar (like Yahoo! Calendar or Google Calendar) automatically (i.e. without exporting and uploading .ics files)?

A:Synchronize Local Calendar with Web Based Calendar?

Yahoo does it

http://help.yahoo.com/help/ca/sync/sync-03.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/synchronize-local-calendar-with-web-based-calendar.90930/
Relevancy 26.66%

Again, I get confused with my PC's Local Area Connection(Status: Limited or no connectivity). I'm not sure about the reason, but it happened for almost a week until now. How to solve it? I mean how to repair the connection?

A:limited Local Area Connection

What type of connection is it and what else did it say about it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-local-area-connection.89334/
Relevancy 26.66%

Just got a call today folder 1.06 problem Thunderbird local from an office I m doing the computers for at the moment I ve taken a look at it and can t see any way to fix it nor can I see why it hapened which is probably more important They have created a folder in the local folders section called quot personal folders quot This folder has sub-folders for each member of staff to which they saved a number of emails Someone renamed quot personal folders quot to quot personal saved email quot and on doing so all the saved emails from each of the subfolders dissapeared My first thought was to change the name back and see if that solved it well it was a guess but nobody can remember what it was called before There is no backup of the email store In trying to retrieve the email I ve gone through all the likely places in explorer application data recyle bin temp etc and there s no sign of it I ve also scanned drive with active undelete and theres no sign of anything to recover from Thunderbird 1.06 local folder problem this incident I then tried system restre I didn t think it would work and it didn Thunderbird 1.06 local folder problem t Firstly soes anybody have any ideas on a way to recover the lost email and secondly and more importantly does anybody have any idea why this happened nbsp

A:Thunderbird 1.06 local folder problem

What do you mean when you say that they've saved Emails there ? Are you talking about Emails saved in EML format in that folder or do you mean that folder was used to store the Thunderbird files (Inbox, Sent, etc.) ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thunderbird-1-06-local-folder-problem.34530/
Relevancy 26.66%

MY local disk C wont open!!!! when i double click it or hit enter a wind pops ups saying Open with:
plz help me thx

A:Problems Opening Local Disk

So you use Browse option and look for C:\Windows\explorer.exe and make it so! Or does that not work either?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-opening-local-disk.100716/
Relevancy 26.66%

hey im new to the site i found it because of the problem above.
yeah my computer keeps crashing Bsod Style So i had a look at the problem

I was having the following errors report when my computer decided to restart itself

BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : E11FD2D0 BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : 8054B045
BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

i checked out the event log and it said the

[UNS] Failed to subscribe to local Intel(R) AMT.

that was the only thing that kept comming up with the error signal

Could anyone offer me assistance PLZ! <3?!!!!

before i smash my PC

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failed-to-subscribe-to-local-intel-amt.115660/
Relevancy 25.8%

The situation is as follows I have a number of computers running XP SP with Deep a on non Question Storing local a profile system partition... Usability - Freeze installed For those who don t know Deep Freeze erases any changes to the selected partition s on each reboot I would like users to be able to safely use and save their local files but not have the ability to Usability Question - Storing a local profile on a non system partition... edit anything Usability Question - Storing a local profile on a non system partition... on the system partition Now roaming profiles come to mind but I do not want to load the entirety of each profile everytime a user logs in Both our server and network in general are not up to the task I have created a secondary partition on each computer to enable users to save their data to the second partition However users often make many errors or forget causing them to complain down the line And of course it should be more streamlined My current methodology is to relocate system folders quot Desktop quot and quot My Documents quot in the registry so in most cases users do not risk losing any data This usually does work but one problem remains For ease of deployment we also use a number of virtual applications prepared by Vmware ThinApp The virtual sandboxes are often automatically saved to appdata This parameter can be changed to the same directory or a specific directory but that does not suit my needs Some of these virtual programs are rather large and stored on a central server If set to usb mode only one user will be allowed to use the program at a time or the virtual sandbox will throw up an error So every computer needs to be able to save the sandbox locally to appdata However this will always be erased while running deep freeze on the user workstations This brings us full circle Even if I cannot save the entirety of a user profile to a local secondary partition can I move appdata with the same ease as common system folders such as My Documents I have tried many times and failed because the environmental variable appdata always refers to the local system partition Thus the sandbox is created and deleted on reboot I have tried creating different environmental variables such as sandbox directing it to the second partition This works fine in windows but now each ThinApp compile refuses and saves the sandbox in USB Mode in a folder named sandbox It does not see the environmental variable Using a custom environmental variable is actually the ideal situation as I do not want the entirety of appdata saved however I don t see another solution for the time being In short is it possible to relocate the entire profile folder or just appdata to a secondary local partition Sorry that may be a bit confusing There must be a way to do it as it is just a snap of the fingers in linux nbsp

A:Usability Question - Storing a local profile on a non system partition...

Can't you just set %appdata% to another location, in System Variables screen? (properties of My Computer) similar to how Set tmp=%temp% That type of thing.

You know if you were using a Domain Server, all computers could be set up properly to save to the Server through the Active Directory, this is where you'd really need to be at I feel.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usability-question-storing-a-local-profile-on-a-non-system-partition.115622/
Relevancy 26.23%

I have two network cards that connect to two different networks. The first network only should communicate with the computers on the local network and the second should be used to connect to the internet.

How do I force the computer to use a given NIC for internet access and the other for local file sharing etc?

A:Block NIC from internet access but not local network

Instead of two nics for access to different networks and functions, would it be easier to have just one nic if you could find something that restricted all network traffic allowed in/.out of the NIC so it would only talk to networks you want and use remote services you want, etc.

Would that fill the need? You need one NIC and a firewall.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/block-nic-from-internet-access-but-not-local-network.114342/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have an interesting question to ask regarding the Event Viewer in Win Xp Pro Now in the system tab in the event viewer there are two entries named quot eventlog quot as the Source events and The Event service has stopped The Event service has started At what point when the computer is shutting down or starting up on log Tracing pc ons/log offs local does Tracing log ons/log offs on local pc this event get recorded What I mean to say is for example when the computer is shutting down this is the very last event that gets recorded correct Now is it possible during the shutdown process that this service stops but the computer for some reason does not log off and stays logged on For example some error occurs or for some reason the log off shutdown process gets stuck stops the Event log service but the computer is still logged on is this possible From the event viewer log that I am looking at it seems that the quot Event service has stopped quot gets recorded after the computer is logged off or at least at the point where it says quot windows is saving your settings quot the message you get when you log off or shutdown if this is correct then the computer is already at the point where the desktop has disappeared and the message box pops up stating that it is shutting down or saving settings or disconnecting network connections or whatever if the event service stops at this point then there is no way that the log off process would be stuck and the computer would still be logged on correct Please tell me if this makes any sense to anyone Any and all comments suggestions feedback is and would be extremely appreciated This is a very important matter to me please shed some light on this Thanks to all nbsp

A:Tracing log ons/log offs on local pc

Now is it possible during the shutdown process, that this service stops but the computer for some reason does not log off and stays logged on? For example some error occurs, or for some reason the log off/shutdown process gets stuck, stops the Event log service, but the computer is still logged on, is this possible?Click to expand...

Not clear what your concern is but first fundamental question: Do you see the computer shutdown? Or are you seeing it just hang during the shutdown process? If it shuts down, you're logged off and everything is closed.

If you want to know about user logon/logoffs, try this
Start->Run, enter secpol.msc
Look under Security Settings->Audit Policy
Double click to open Audit account logon events
Check both Success and Fail, click OK
Reboot and run your tests again​
You'll now also see user account logon/logoff attempts and status

Note: You will also an option to log Audit logon events. This audit can create many different additional types of logon events that might confuse what you're looking for you can try with and without it enabled.

You may also find the Event Logs even easier to sort through/manage if you use Event Log Explorer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tracing-log-ons-log-offs-on-local-pc.113131/
Relevancy 25.8%

I use a few programs that for whatever reason will not talk to mapped networked drives but will talk to local drives.

This is extremely annoying because at least one of them is a backup utility.

What I'd like to do is trick windows into thinking a networked drive is local.

Any means you know of to get \\computername\sharename to be treated as a local harddrive would be appreciated.

Why any program would refuse to talk to networked drives is beyond me. The whole point of mapping drive letters was to get dos programs to talk to remote drives. So why would some windows programs have an explicit inability to talk these drives?... the only thing I can think of is brain damage.

A:Trick windows into thinking network drive is local

Are, the joys of Dos ! You used to be able to map a networked drive with a MAP command and can still do the same thing in Windows Explorer. It is under Tools - map networked drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trick-windows-into-thinking-network-drive-is-local.112858/
Relevancy 26.23%

I have installed Fedora Core on my workstation and it is working quite well However I have been instructed that I need to update my installation Using the instructions provided at http stanton-finley net fedora core installation notes html I ran the yum -y update command I was logged in as root Although I am using a Mb ADSL connection available bandwidth fails FC5 local Updating mirror from site to countries overseas is very low I typically get a download speed of to kB s So you can imagine the Fedora update taking very long I Updating FC5 from local mirror site fails found that there is a mirror site in my neighboring country that can service this update at much higher speed In order to Updating FC5 from local mirror site fails do this I was instructed to edit the fedora-updates repo file in etc yum repos d directory The file now looks like this updates name Fedora Core releasever - basearch - Updates baseurl http download fedora redhat com pub fedora linux core updates releasever basearch mirrorlist http fedora redhat Updating FC5 from local mirror site fails com download mirrors updates-released-fc releasever mirrorlist http mirror averse net fedora linux core updates releasever i enabled gpgcheck gpgkey file etc pki rpm-gpg RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora updates-debuginfo name Fedora Core releasever - basearch - Updates - Debug baseurl http download fedora redhat com pub fedora linux core updates releasever basearch debug enabled gpgcheck gpgkey file etc pki rpm-gpg RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora updates-source name Fedora Core releasever - Updates Source baseurl http download fedora redhat com pub fedora linux core updates releasever SRPMS mirrorlist http mirror averse net fedora linux core updates releasever SRPMS enabled gpgcheck gpgkey file etc pki rpm-gpg RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora Trying the yum -y update again fails very quickly I believe the error messages there are a lot of them seem to indicate that yum can t find the server I am sure I am doing something wrong or missing some steps I have very good experience in the Windows NT K XP environment I am however a relative newbie in Linux although the concepts are not difficult to understand Please help It will be very much appreciated Mandelbrot ps This is pretty long message I hope it does not annoy anyone nbsp

A:Updating FC5 from local mirror site fails

The exact error messages would be helpful. I can access these URLs just fine from here. Do you have to use a proxy for internet access?

You can get a copy of the yum errors in "filename" if you run "yum -y update 2>&1 | tee filename"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/updating-fc5-from-local-mirror-site-fails.56429/
Relevancy 26.66%

I'm trying to execute software from a local web page instead of going through start menu (it's a long story).

Some programs execute, others won't.

Any ideas?

Steveb123

A:execute programs from local web page

a very foolish and dangerous practice. You must like viri and malware installed on your computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/execute-programs-from-local-web-page.78959/