Windows Support Forum

Ad-Hoc is now Local Only

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Ad-Hoc is now Local Only

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 39.56%

How to Block Internet on local Windows XP PC but Not "Skype" and other Locally hosted WebPages { I means 192.168.0.2, 127.0.0.1 and etc } ?

Here is my Network :

Internet Lease Line---> CentOS Server(with 2 lan cards)---> Local Lan----> Windows XP ( Gateway defined as server IP)

A:Block Internet but Not Skype and Local WebPages Hosted on Local Lan Server

I have 2 users, admin and agent(limited access)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/block-internet-but-not-skype-and-local-webpages-hosted-on-local-lan-server-607559.html
Relevancy 38.27%

Does Address Host. Local Local Multiple and anyone know why local IP addresses listed in my packet log would be different than my local IP address given Multiple Local Address and Local Host. me by my ISP In my log I noticed that suddenly I have different local IP addresses apart from my IP I am Local Address and I am Local Host but also listed are different IP s as Local Address and Local Host The ones showing up as local address and local host with me are bas -ottawa - dsl bell ca c- - - - hsd wa comcast net - - - dsl telesp net br - - - dhcp mtgm al charter com - - - dhcp dlth mn charter com CPE cefbe -CM f cpe net cable rogers com All of these on the list sent or more UDP packets to my ISP All of my packets under my IP address are TCP So how can they and I both be Local Address and Local Host and using different IP addresses nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multiple-local-address-and-local-host.856118/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hello I'm currently in the process of testing deploying IE in setup XML - file File Local Enterprise Local List Network, IE11 Manager or HTTP, Site our environment and I've begun testing on the IE Enterprise Site List manager I've read that there are a few different ways to configure the XML file to apply via GPO IE11 Enterprise Site List Manager XML file setup - HTTP, Local Network, or Local File per the article below nbsp HTTP Local Network Local File https technet microsoft com en-us library Dn aspx In my isolated testing I've chosen to use the local file method which is very easy to setup and use on a testing machine It looks like we have the flexibility to choose how we apply the XML file and I was curious what the best options are and why nbsp Also are there examples of each setup being used and the benefits downsides to each Here's the options that I can see using HTTP - setup an IIS website to host the XML file Local Network UNC - setup a UNC path on our DFS where we store the current XML file and users would have read only access to that location Local File - We could just deploy the XML file via SCCM package application when updates to the list are required Could anyone please point me towards some articles etc explaining the pro's and cons of these methods and why I might want to choose one over the other nbsp I'm leaning towards just using a DFS share and option because it doesn't require us to maintain an IIS site for it but I am curious to hear if there might be any downsides to this method or benefits to going with another method Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ffeba7b5-ee91-4622-a535-a16b90c4a41f/ie11-enterprise-site-list-manager-xml-file-setup-http-local-network-or-local-file?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 36.98%

I have a user is on his personal Win 7 home PC with his Canon printer plugged in via USB. From his home PC, he VPN's and RDP's into his Win 7 box here at the office. The question is that he would like to print files within the RDP session from his local printer connected to his local home PC. Is that even possible to do? And how?

A:How can you print to local printer in RDP from the local PC?

Hi,

Have you checked 'Local devices and resources' within the RDP setting?
Make sure 'Printers' is ticked

Does this help?

Regards,
Jamie

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/340452-how-can-you-print-local-printer-rdp-local-pc.html
Relevancy 34.83%

Hi We upgraded our desktops from Windows XP to Windows Admin Local Admin Group Rights local without Assign with Windows XP we used the resource kit s CDROMLOCK EXE to lock down CD and DVD Once installed a user had to be in the local administrators group to access a CD or DVD on that desktop For Windows it is not Windows compatible so I run the EXE in Vista SP- Compatibility mode which works perfect My question With a user in the local admin group they have access to the CD and DVD but also have full access to the desktop which is of concern Does anyone know how to assign a user name Either local Desktop or a Server domain account to a Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group service or Exe Is there a way to either create a folder with full rights and then put the exe in the folder giving the user full admin rights to the folder or assign full admin rights to s single EXE file I am just not sure how Windows controls local admin rights other than the local Admin Group If Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group this is in the wrong group please move Thanks B nbsp

A:Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group

You should be able to right-click on the exe file, then choose properties. On the "Compatibility" tab, there should be a checkbox for "Run as administrator", which you can check (enable) and save settings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/assign-local-admin-rights-without-local-admin-group.1123053/
Relevancy 34.83%

Hello I found this forum out of necessity I have done a folder folder Sync pc local local office on w/ Surface Pro??? on fair share of googling this question without any luck resolution Hopefully someone here will have a useful answer I use a program at my office that stores data Sync local folder on office pc w/ local folder on Surface Pro??? in the Sync local folder on office pc w/ local folder on Surface Pro??? local program folder on my pc However i also use this program on my tablet surface pro these are both windows devices respectively so i'm hoping that works to my advantage Most of the resolutions i found on google involved using my OneDrive however the Local folder is approx GB depending on the number of projects so this is not an option I would rather find a solution that does not involve an external HDD at this is just one more piece of equipment to carry and i worry about performance issues while working on the projects In my opinion the ideal solution is Use the program while i am at the office the files save to the Local folder on my PC and then when my tablet is awake the modified files automatically sync over our wifi connection The wifi aspect isnt a deal breaker i am fine with syncing via a USB cord as well The main goal is i want the projects data from the Local folder to sync with either my PC or my tablet depending on which file has the most recent time stamp So obviously if i work on a project during the week and need to view modify it outside the office any changes made will sync to the PC the next time I connect via the wifi or USB I am also open to alternative solutions that i may be missing Cross posted to Windows Forum as well

A:Sync local folder on office pc w/ local folder on Surface Pro???

I would agree that having a cloud storage would be nice should the office server go down. You do know that you don't have to sync the entire share folder and programs right? You can sync just individual files that are actually being used and changed. As far as extra storage goes, no need to tote around an external HD. Why not get a couple USB 3.0 flash drives or sdcards? And I really do mean get 2-3, just in case one should fail you have some kind of a backup. You can never rely on a single backup.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553249/sync-local-folder-on-office-pc-w-local-folder-on-surface-pro/
Relevancy 33.97%

I once ran across a simple UI item that allowed me to change LOCAL CONNECTION 2 to LOCAL CONNECTION.

RESOLVED. Open Network and Sharing Center. Click on the icon for the active connection. Change THAT name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-local-net-2-to-local-net.172565/
Relevancy 33.97%

I once ran across a simple UI item that allowed me to change LOCAL CONNECTION 2 to LOCAL CONNECTION.

It wasn't in the registry, and I am not referring to changing the name of the local connection itself. Just want to drop the "2" designation.

Anyone happen to recall where this is done? Frustrating to forget something that was easily accomplished in the past. ^_^ Thanks.

A:Change Local Net 2 to Local Net

Have a looky here pal

Network Name - Enable or Disable Change

Network Name and Icon - Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/193793-change-local-net-2-local-net.html
Relevancy 33.54%

Hi all this originally started with an issue with the wireless I recently installed a D-Link DIR- wireless router and did computer only" "local with Vista had with "local ethernet only" access wireless, now a basic setup giving it WPA security My Vista computer originally was able to connect to the router with Internet and before that to the modem directly with Ethernet but it was infected by the Vista Security virus which I removed after following some steps and MBAM Since then it can no longer connect to the wireless network so I Googled the issue and did a few things - Norton Remover - In command prompt ipconfig and netsh some commands that reset refreshed IP DNS or something along those lines - Going to wireless settings and disabling ipV - Going to wireless setting and manually giving it an IP Default Gateway DNS Vista computer had "local only" access with wireless, now "local only" with ethernet according to the specs that I found by using ipconfig on my working Windows laptop - Updating the Atheros driver to version Somewhere along the way I must ve nipped something important somewhere because now the Vista machine doesn t connect to the internet wirelessly NOR with the Ethernet cable attached Vista computer had "local only" access with wireless, now "local only" with ethernet The icon in the lower right hand corner shows that the machine sees the router but with Local Access only I ve done an ipconfig all with the machine and here are the results this is with ethernet attached Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Windows system gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name HomePC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR b g WiFi Adapter Physical Address - - B- A- E- A DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern et NIC NDIS Physical Address - F- - F-D - B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe cc c bf a c b cbf Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap CF B -A - C B- DA-FC A D br CD Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap AA -A C- F-AFBB-DC F br A Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap F AFB E -A E - B-A B -A B br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Conn... Read more

A:Vista computer had "local only" access with wireless, now "local only" with ethernet

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-computer-had-local-only-access-with-wireless-now-local-only-with-ethernet.1031986/
Relevancy 33.11%

i have been the internet for a couple of months with no problems everything was working fine but a couple of weeks ago my 'access' and internet changing to 'local internet' 'access' keeps only' from 'local started to change and say local only stopping me from viewing certain websites pictures would not load and would then take to to the 'cannot display webpage' when i try to diagnose it it either says that windows could not internet 'access' keeps changing from 'local and internet' to 'local only' find a problem with the connection 'the problem has been resolved' though it doesn't say what the problem actually was and it isn't resolved internet 'access' keeps changing from 'local and internet' to 'local only' as a couple of minutes later it will do it again or it gives me the option to reset the network adapter and internet 'access' keeps changing from 'local and internet' to 'local only' then says it has been resolved again it hasn't im running windows vista using wireless internet connection and it always says that my signal strength is excellent i have no idea what it could be as i had not been doing anything differently with it when the problem started help please

A:internet 'access' keeps changing from 'local and internet' to 'local only'

This happens when the router/dsl/cable modem loses its connection with the internet but your wireless connection between your computer and the wireless router stays up (local only).
The next time this happens run in and take a look at the WAN light on your dsl modem to verify that it is red or flashing orange (depending on your modem). Most likely the connection has dropped but the modem will restore the connection automatically when the line is good again. This is an ISP issue and you should call them when you are having trouble and ask them to diagnose the line. You will have to insist because it takes more than 2 microseconds of their time and you know how valuable they believe their time can be.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/internet-access-keeps-changing-from-local-and-internet-to-local-only-347396.html
Relevancy 30.96%

Hello All,

I just installed Windows 7 Home Pre x64 on my computer. When i was installing i mistakenly didnt format the hard drive befor reinstalling, neither did i parition the drive. Now in my Local Disk Drive (C there is a folder in it called "Local Disk". This folder contains all the computer files, user files, and program files. In the root directory of the Main C Drive, the tw program files folders appear, with the Windows folder also. There is also a folder that says Windows.old, Windows.old.ooo. What do i do?

A:Local Disk folder in Local Disk C

I would reinstall delete the old partition and create a new 1 unless you are wanting to save any of your old files. The windows.old are your old files. You have two operating systems on the same partition, I believe.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-disk-folder-in-local-disk-c.962553/
Relevancy 27.52%

Since yesterday, and for no apparent reason at all, my computer keeps losing internet connection (but local still stays). Every 10 or so minutes the computer disconnects from the internet and when I put my mouse over the network icon in the task bar, it says Local Only. Not only that, but even when I do have full connectivity, the internet is extremely slow, and I can't seem to maintain a stable connection. I'm using cable internet, I have a router, and I'm running windows vista. I'm pretty sure its not the router because I connected the modem directly to the computer, and it got even worse. I've tried disabling it and restarting my modem and router many times with no luck. My ISP says my connection is strong, and yet the internet is acting so poorly. This just started happening yesterday morning, and I'm completely stumped. Can anyone lend a hand?

Relevancy 27.52%

i've connected on multiple wireless and corded networks before, but traveling and suddenly i can't connect anywhere, i've tried two corded networks and one wireless, ?t always says connected, but 'access local only''
can't copy ipconfig as on different machine in intenet cafe currently

but ipv6 shows wierd address (with letters) and ipv4 looks like a good address.. it shows media state for media disconnected.. but i know it's not the router as it is three different places...

uninstalled my avg software virus and software, was going to do windows update, but since can't get on internet can't do that... help

when i look at connections.. i can see connection to network, but x across network to internet.. i try clicking and it says diagnose, but it doesn't say much
\'there may be a problem with your DNS configuration'

vista home premium

casey

A:Local Only

Disable and enable your wireless adapter. See if it finds a new network.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/159645-local-only.html
Relevancy 27.52%

Am using a Hp with Vista Home Basic 32bit SP2, am having a problem in connecting to LAN internet connections, it takes time to identify then at the end says Unidentified Network. Is there a problem with my modems or what could really be the course of this? It drives me nuts to keep on waiting whenever i turn on my laptop. Please help..
Crazier

A:LAN: Local Only

Originally Posted by crazier

Am using a Hp with Vista Home Basic 32bit SP2, am having a problem in connecting to LAN internet connections, it takes time to identify then at the end says Unidentified Network. Is there a problem with my modems or what could really be the course of this? It drives me nuts to keep on waiting whenever i turn on my laptop. Please help..
Crazier

Crazier

First things first. In order to help we need to know what hardware you have could you fill in your system specs (lower left corner). You could also tell us about your networking setup. Is it a homegroup, at school, or work? what modem, router, wifi cards, etc

Thanks

Ken

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/247150-lan-local-only.html
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi I have had my new pc for about years now and from time to time i have used the to net do XP old PC-local maybe What with old XP pc this one HP Pavilion a la Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion a la Desktop PC HP Support which has gb hard drives and i really dont want to lose the storage space for a long time now i have been use tight vnc to communicate with it What to do with old XP PC-local net maybe doing some small What to do with old XP PC-local net maybe storage and some other stuff but tight vnc is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow that i wish there was a better way I think my new and old pc each have one ethernet port so i would still have to go thru my router or do i can i connect them pc to pc for faster file xfter via ethernet or what is the best thing to do with this old thing It still works great but it has xp and the os cannot be upgraded to another version It would have to be as is because as we know xp is no longer supported or updated Any suggestions or maybe even a link to a good video of how to set up a peer to peer thru a router and take tight vnc out of the loop thanks quot

A:What to do with old XP PC-local net maybe

XP and win7 computer are connected both wired to same router? If so... it doesn't use the router part at all. It uses the switch that's built inside the router.

Speed should be 100mb (or 1Gb if using gigbit port). Divide by 8 and you have Bytes instead of bits. About 30% of communication is overhead btw.

Why use tightvnc or any other vnc flavor? That works great for remote control. But you don't need it for windows file sharing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/353907-what-do-old-xp-pc-local-net-maybe.html
Relevancy 27.52%

I can not connect to the internet on my Dell inspiron. In my network ans sharing centre it says I am connected to an unidentified network but not the internet and my access is 'Local only'.

Can any one help?
Thanks,

Relevancy 27.52%

Hey guys, I believe I have found that "Local only" internet access fix. I have been searching the forums for months now and nothing seemed to work. Microsoft was no help at all. Even seemed to act like they didnt know it was happening. Anyway I stumbled across it on accident just trying to fix the problem muself. Go to the network and sharing center. Click on view status. Then go to wireless properties. then click on security. Now if it says it is set to WPA-2 personal, change it to WPA personal. Then you will have to re enter your password. Boom fixed. Good luck. It worked for me

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/289265-local-only-fix.html
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello,

Recently, Id say about a couple of days now I keep getting LOCAL ONLY when I'm on the internet.. and it just randomly just comes and goes.

It's annoying and frustrating at times when I'm trying to use the internet.

Does anyone have any clue as to why??
Any updates I can do and such...??

My Router is Netgear
My network adapter is Atheros Ar5007
My internet is CLEAR

IDK if any of that info could help..

I have unplugged the cables on the back of router and modem and plugged back and internet will come back but it could be a coincidence since I'm noticing that it randomly comes and goes. The router is in the other room, I am connected to it wirelessly.

I appreciate your knowledge in advance. Thank you.

A:LOCAL only (Comes and goes??)

Originally Posted by monirlz

Hello,

Recently, Id say about a couple of days now I keep getting LOCAL ONLY when I'm on the internet.. and it just randomly just comes and goes.

It's annoying and frustrating at times when I'm trying to use the internet.

Does anyone have any clue as to why??
Any updates I can do and such...??

My Router is Netgear
My network adapter is Atheros Ar5007
My internet is CLEAR

IDK if any of that info could help..

I have unplugged the cables on the back of router and modem and plugged back and internet will come back but it could be a coincidence since I'm noticing that it randomly comes and goes. The router is in the other room, I am connected to it wirelessly.

I appreciate your knowledge in advance. Thank you.

Hello monirlz, and welcome to Vista Forums!

The Internet Protocol: IPv6 sometimes causes issues like this. You can disable IPv6 and just use IPv4. Here is a link to one way to disable IPv6: How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008

Cheers!
Robert

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/277301-local-only-comes-goes.html
Relevancy 27.52%

using alfa awus036nh i only get local only even though signal is excellent. but i get internet if close enough without the alfa. even if close enough to get internet without alfa using it results in local only. what am i doing wrong?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-only.1004156/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello. this is my first post and i have been trying to find a solution to my problem. My problem is I am trying to connect to a wireless network. It connects but it starts off with it saying limited connectity and then it goeds to Access: Local only. Then I researched and i clicked on the IPv6 box and t worked. This time it doesnt work. I dont think I need to install any drivers or updates bc my PC is a couple of months old. Its a toshiba Satellite A215-S4757. 64bit.

A:Local Only

If you haven't done so - do a complete hardware reset on your router. This fixed my "Local Only" issues (had to do so again when major security updates were installed). I'm no network engineer, but it seems that something in the router code makes Vista a bit unsure about the safety and limits the connection to local.

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/127595-local-only.html
Relevancy 27.52%

Im having some trouble getting the wireless connection on my laptop to work. It worked once before, then when I plug in my ethernet cable to my laptop, my internet stopped working. Everytime I open the Network and Sharing Center while Im connected wirelessly to my pc, it says Local Only. Ive been reading all sorts of forums and am about to throw my laptop across the room. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Relevancy 27.52%

Hi Guys,

I so hope that someone can help me. I'm in a bit of trouble with my win 2k pc. I am investigating the local group policy option that is part of the mmc. I noticed that there was an option to
"Run only allowed windows applications" So i followed the instructions, opened up the gpedit.msc and added all the .exe files that i want users to be able to use on the pc. But now my problem is when i log back into the pc as administrator it doesn't let me alter the gpedit.msc file anymore, which is what i altered in the first place. ahhhhhhh.

Please can someone help me.
Cheers
Speckee

A:Win 2k Local GPO

MMC.exe > File > Open > %SystemRoot%\System32\Gpedit.msc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-2k-local-gpo.182842/
Relevancy 27.52%

Evening all

Bit of a problem with the new router...! Have just installed Virgin Media through cable modem and Netgear WGR614 to my Dell Inspiron 1720 wirelessly. At the mo, I am connected through it, but when I close the lid (hibernate) and then open up again, the router will only connect to a local only network. The only way I can fix this is by connecting to the router via a LAN wired connection, and rebooting the laptop,then I have the wireless back on again. As you can imagine, this is not ideal at all!

First of all, does this make sense? If so, any ideas on how to sort it?

Ta very much!

Chris

Relevancy 27.09%

When i open my computer and double-click on Local Disk(C) drive, it doesn't open up, it brings up the Open With: box and tells me to choose which program to open Local Disk with..
Under tools in my computer, there is no folder option too...
But if I click on Folders option in the standard bar, I can access it in the classic view option but not in category option..
Any help would be appreciated...
Am using windows xp pro (sp2) on pentium4 computer...

Relevancy 27.09%

I know a lot of people have this problem but nothing i've read elsewhere solves this for me I have an Acer Aspire z with an Atheros AR B network adapter I have a Netgear Rangemax ADSL modem wireless router DG PN When I first got the laptop the internet worked then the local only problem connection came along I did some fiddling and it sorted itself out Two months on the problem is back and i can't seem to only Wireless/Local fix it XP computers can connect Wireless/Local only wirelessly to the network We have another vista laptop newer which has the same issue though Recently quot local only quot hasn't been so much the problem but the laptop says quot local and internet quot but no web pages can be loaded IE asks me to diagnose network connection fails I have tried DhcpConnForceBroadCastFlag bit with a value of in the regedit Disabling IPv on the wireless connection Disabling IPv on all connections Disabling and stopping IPhelper and some other things this is what system cmd says when i ask for ipconfig all Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Joe Langley gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Joe-Laptop Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR B Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - -C - F-F -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained September Lease Expires September Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Generic Marvell Yukon E based Ether net Controller Physical Address - D- -F -E - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained September Lease Expires September Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap DBB D -B - AAD-BBF - B A br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes I have the wireless and ethernet connected Both have IPv disabled Hope someone has some answers cheers

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/245237-wireless-local-only.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Pardon me for being technically naive, I guess. I have several updates awaiting my approval to download and install. A couple of them refer to an "authenticated local attacker."

With no definition showing up on a Google search and a lot of techspeak, I figured that regardless of appearing incredibly stupid, the smart thing to do would be to ask here.

So what does this mean? Is it a live body in my home that intends to do serious harm to my computer? Some furtive, crazed, but otherwise normal-looking geek who is waiting to wreak havoc and maintain his status as an authenticated local attacker? The nextdoor neighbor kid (who,obviously, is local, and COULD be a threat if he broke in and decided to screw up my computer)?

Or WHAT?????

Thanks in advance for any (hopefully simple) answers you can provide.

A:What the h is a "local attacker?"

Which update numbers are these?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/174809/what-the-h-is-a-local-attacker/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello I can't decide whether I a account or use not? Should local to use a local account or sign in to my Live account I feel a little paranoid soetimes and I feel unsafe when being logged in to my live account all the time What's the pros with being logged in to live For example when you're logged in to chrome all the history will be saved to Should I use a local account or not? your google account Is it similar in any way in Windows Are things saved to my account I don't know what that would Should I use a local account or not? be but What's the difference between a local account and logged in to live Should I use a local account or not? Is it just that when you're logged in you can acces the store and recieve e-mails etc What happens if I have a local account and I have things saved in Username pictures for example and the log in to live Will there now be two different user folders One for the local account and one for live Will all the settings change as well Will the desktop change Will metro go back to default Thank you in advance

A:Should I use a local account or not?

Personally, I prefer to go with a local account. I'm not certain of all the quirks associated with using the Live account as the admin on your local machine but I'd rather just sign into any applications requiring online hooks manually. If for some reason I can't go online I'd rather not have the machine dependent on the Live Account for anything important. Call me paranoid but I don't want to totally turn over my system to the "cloud".

-Max

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/19091-should-i-use-local-account-not.html
Relevancy 27.09%

currently i am using this configuration working fine

but i want to use this configuration

A:need help with local domain

Plz try to reupload the 1st screen shot, it's not loading at all

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-with-local-domain.1107422/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello I have a local IP on my network that is a mystery to me This address responds to ping I m Mystery Local IP? sure it s not one of the few known devices I have on my network My router log is showing a ton of dropped packets from WAN trying to reach this address It does not show up on my DHCP list I ve got a cable modem a WiFi router a Vonage V-Portal one host Windows computer and one iMac via WiFi I do not use a network printer I do have a printer connected via USB to the host computer but have never set up printer sharing Ambit Cable Modem - D-Link Router - Vongae Mystery Local IP? V-Portal - Windows PC - iMac - Here is a small portion of my router firewall log Notice the time If you run whois on these source IP s they are all different ISP s What is the explanation for this type of behavior This log shows source IP first then destination IP Mystery Local IP? second Time Message Source Destination Note Feb Drop TCP packet from WAN Rule TO deny Feb Drop Mystery Local IP? TCP packet from WAN Rule TO deny Feb Drop TCP packet from WAN Rule TO deny Feb Drop TCP packet from WAN Rule TO deny Feb Drop TCP packet from WAN Rule TO deny Feb Drop TCP packet from WAN Rule TO deny Feb Drop TCP packet from WAN Rule TO deny Feb Drop TCP packet from WAN Rule TO deny Feb Drop TCP packet from WAN Rule TO deny Feb Drop TCP packet from WAN Rule TO deny nbsp

Relevancy 27.09%

I've been searching the internet for about days already and I've found a bunch of topics on this and tried the solutions but none seemed to work I recently had a rogue on my Vista and now the internet won't work It says I'm connected but locally only When I go to the Network center in the Control Panel it says I'm connected to the Only Access Local router when an excellent signal strength but my router isn't connected to the internet I know it's not a firmware or the router now being compatible Local Access Only with Vista because this laptop I'm typing it on is a Vista and it connects fine with the router I've tried resetting the router and that didn't work I've wired and wireless and both come up with the same local access only I've tried the whole command quot netsh quot and winsock reset things I've tried disabling the IPv and that didn't work Local Access Only Nothing seems to be working I have two computers that have this problem an XP desktop and Local Access Only a Vista laptop and it would AWESOME to have it fixed I don't have the format disks for the computers When I bought the computers it didn't come with one and now the store I bought them from is out of business nationally and I'm not sure where to get one I read something about locating the DHCP thing and about how there are rogue servers and stuff I didn't totally understand it but I had a rogue on both computers right before it stopped connecting to the internet so I'm wondering about that If someone could educate me about this that could be awesome

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/239336-local-access-only.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Hey,

i need a bit of help,

i've tried to install drivers for the computer and noticed an error "could not access C:\Windows" so i checked and the local disc is actually labeled H!

I've changed C (which is a removeable drive) to X so C is avaliable, but i am unable to rename the Local Disc to C, i think because it's in use, how can i get round this?

I cannot install a driver as it by default goes to C:\.
Any ideas?
Cheers!

Relevancy 27.09%

I would like to start using a VPN service for better privacy while online However I have read that using a VPN client will block the local area network is this true I use local and VPN network a HTPC with a large RAID array to share media with my other devices and I want to still be able to access my local files via network drives while using VPN to browse the web Is this possible My current setup is the HTPC file server xbox and a workstation PC connected via ethernet to a dd-wrt router The VPN and local network dd-wrt router connects via WiFi to a VPN and local network primary router plugged into the modem The primary router also supplies WiFi to some phones I have WiFi adapters for the computers if that helps but I uninstalled them when I couldn t figure out how to get Windows to separate local file sharing over the faster ethernet and internet over WiFi I m pretty inexperienced at networking but am willing to try anything to make this work Thanks in advance for your help nbsp

A:VPN and local network

You'll have to do something called "split-tunneling" to access both the internet and LAN.
I don't know what operating system you have, and the steps to do this are different depending on the OS, so here are a few links to help you figure it out (I honestly have next to no experience in this area):
https://kb.meraki.com/knowledge_base/configuring-split-tunnel-client-vpn-on-windows-and-mac-os-x
http://bit.ly/1gfbVFi
http://web.stevens.edu/itwiki/w/index.php/VPN_on_Windows_7_-_Split_Tunneling
http://web.stevens.edu/itwiki/w/index.php/VPN_on_Windows_XP_with_Split_Tunneling

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vpn-and-local-network.1126145/
Relevancy 27.09%

In the last day my computer has disappeared from my local network. i have itunes home sharing and folders i share from this computer but suddenly gone. It is a problem with the firewall because when i turn it off it works right. i DID NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES IN THE FIREWALL AT ALL. someone please help. Running windwows 8.1 64 bit. The only AV i am running is windows defender

A:Local Network

In the Windows Firewall, left pane, did you try to Troubleshoot my network or Restore Defaults.

Also verify in Device Manager if any problems showing up for your Network Adapter and are your drivers up to date.

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/47922-local-network.html
Relevancy 27.09%

When my daughter logs on as a user on our computer, she cannot access the local E disk drive. It works fine under my logon, but not hers. I recently had to use your instructions for removing Windows XP Recovery (which hid my files/folders, etc.) and now my daughter cannot access anything on the local E disk drive. Any assistance ("free") will be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 27.09%

Alright so i've got a question guys, basically i have a work laptop with is running Vista 32bit and the problem i'm having is it will connect to wireless networks fine and work on the internet fine.

But when i disable that and try to connect through my ethernet connector it wont assign an ip address by dhcp. Ive checked all the setting to make sure it's supposed to assign by DHCP and i've tried it at home and at my work, so i know it's not the router that i'm connected to, and i assume it must be something with configuration but i can't seem to figure it out.

Any help or comments are much appreciated...thanks!

A:Local Access Only

Do u have a DHCP server runing on ur network at home or at work?
Is the network at home or at work configured for DHCP??
what are the symptoms when u connect through ethernet??

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/91348/local-access-only/
Relevancy 27.09%

Ok this is my last resort after spending hours digging through forums finding nothing that works for my help! access only, Local please situation Out of nowhere my internet connection has been cut off I am connected to my university's network via Ethernet cable IPv says quot Local quot Local access only, please help! IPv says quot Limited quot a ping to returns quot request timed out quot which means I am not connecting to the DNS server All my setting are the same as a friends computer connected the exact same way Drivers are updated tried uninstalling the network controller and reinstalling it nothing works I have tried every command line I have come across disabled IPv through a registry edit and yet it still refuses to connect Please if someone can help me before I throw my custom built baby out my third floor window I would be VERY grateful If you need more info let me know Here's what returns after ipconfig all since that is usually the first thing people ask for C USERS JOEY gt ipconfig all Local access only, please help! Windows IP Configuration Host Name Joey-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description NVIDIA nForce Mbps Ethernet Physical Address - D- D-D - A- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Friday May PM Lease Expires Saturday May PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C USERS JOEY gt

A:Local access only, please help!

---this may be an uneducated guess from me, but your list says:
---[Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 29, 2009 9:23:46 PM]
---[Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 30, 2009 9:23:45 PM]
---(that makes it 24hrs. to me)---everything else looks okay---anyone else?---

peace

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/229671-local-access-only-please-help.html
Relevancy 27.09%

last week virgin media installed TV, Phone and BB.

since then, my sons desktop windows vista will not connect to the internet and has local only connection via a Belkin adapter. The adapter has found the router but will not connect.

Previous supplier, tiscali.

A friend has tried to change the IP address, and still nothing.

We have tried to uninstall Norton security, but the machine seems to want to hold onto it, and will not fully uninstall.

I have another desktop, which is plugged into the router and that works fine. My laptop which is also Windows Vista, has connected perfectly well.

I am seriously pulling my hair out as what to do next.

Can someone please help...bearing in mind i can navigate a computer but not very technical.

Many thanks
Tracy

A:local only connection

Why are you using an adaptor to connect your sons computer up to the router?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/229182-local-only-connection.html
Relevancy 27.09%

My mom s HP Pavilion Dv laptop with vista home will no longer get onto the internet it will Conection Local Only... only connect local only my laptop works just fine on the same router and we also tried connecting it to our neighbors router and it Local Conection Only... does the same thing thus we think it s a problem with the laptop It s Local Conection Only... about a year and a half old or so I updated the Broadcom g WLAN driver tonight restarted and still no luck we have Local Conection Only... tried the window repair and disabling the network and re-enabling it and disabling it and restarting then re-enabling it I tried to disable the IPv but the quot DisabledConnections quot was not there and I got a little lost on how to create it Do I need to make a new key with that name then a DWORD or just the DWORD in the Protocols or what ever the key was I was following a guide I don t remember but it WAS the right key key So any help with this would be loved and thanks in advance It will get online using a AT amp T wireless card Edit forgot to add its service pack Intel CPU nbsp

Relevancy 27.09%

I am trying to connect to a Wifi connection but it keeps saying Local only. There is a big red X in between Unidentified network and Internet. I have tried several troubleshooting solutions found on the internet which don't work. They tell me to play around with various DHCP settings, the cmd feature, and setting the settings the way they already are automatically, so that doesn't help. Also some instructions say to boot the computer. This does nothing at all. Can someone give me the correct solution. This happens at some wifi spots but not others so I don't know what I could possibly be doing wrong since I'm not doing anything differently.

Relevancy 27.09%

My wireless internet worked without any problems for well over years and shared the connection between different laptops Just recently was unable to make connection when powering up laptop so did the reset by unplugging the power to router and modem and reconnecting The wireless router power light wouldn t come back on so purchased a new router and installed it My laptop picked up access only Local the connection from the router to the modem but there is a Local access only red X showing up Local access only on the map from the modem to the internet I tried to directly connect to the modem using the LAN cord and all that shows up is connection to an unknown network with local access only I tried connecting my sons laptop using the LAN cord and the internet comes up fine Is there some setting that I may have changed on my computer that is preventing me from accessing the internet via the LAN cord If I can get that to work then I m pretty sure I can get the wireless network set up to work again My laptop is an HP and is running Vista nbsp

Relevancy 27.09%

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Windows Vista
I'm trying to connect to some unsecure wireless networks at a friend's house for the first time and am only able to connect with local access.
I try diagnose and repair and it says that there are no issues. Three other computers are connecting to the internet just fine.
They signal is good, and there is supposedly data being sent and received but no programs will connect to the internet.
This issue has never happened before. I regularly run a registry cleaner and tried restoring to a backup from a couple days ago and that didn't help.

A:Only local connection

also,
i was unable to ping a website
i disabled windows firewall and exited my antivirus (avg)
i haven't installed anything new since the last time i connected to an unsecure network

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/245786-only-local-connection.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Hey guys, this should be easy. I hope. I bought this program used. It woks great, no problems there. There is an administrator password that controls the very top level. I don't know what is. Anyway, I went to root in regedit and changed total control to user. when I rebooted I got a blue screen. after it said "Loading your personal settings". I had to restart in safe mode and restore to the point before I did that. What happened, and how do I take administrator off as the top dog? Thanks Oh, my program is Windows XP.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-comtrol.693204/
Relevancy 27.09%

hay all,
this is my first post of this website
ok, i REALLY need help... a few months ago my internet crashed, and went into the "local only" or unidentified network issue that some people have been getting..
i messed around with the setting, yet nothing would help!
eventualy i uninstalled norton, and it worked!
then i reinstalled it, Of corse!!
anyway.. ever since doing that my connection has been "local and internet"
this makes my internet much slower than everybody elses in the network,
IVP4 is connected to internet,
yet IVP3 is only on local!
does anybody know anything to help?
it would make me so happy!!
P.S. im running vista home premium (32 bit)

Relevancy 27.09%

hi again-i have currently split my harddrive into 2 partions-c and d.however for some reason another partion has suddenly appeared-local disk f.how can i remove or even better merge this into another partion.i also have an external hard drive-g.

A:new local disk

Open up Disk Management, and check what devices and partitions are listed on the top and the bottom pane. Chances are the extra drive letters are the result of an optical drive, a USB device, a card reader, or a virtual device like a virtual optical drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/new-local-disk-564304.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi folks,

I just moved into a new apartment where there is already wireless internet set up in my office. I don't actually want/need wireless so I'm trying to connect to the wireless router (Linksys WRT110) via ethernet cable, but am getting "local access only". The other two computers that are connected to this router are connected to the internet and thus are NOT having this problem.

-I can not connect directly to the modem because then everyone else loses their internet access.
-firewall is off.
-ping test doesn't work, I can't ping anything since I can't get online AT ALL.
-I know my cable works; if I connect it to the modem, I can get online.
-I know the router works, because everyone else can get online. I tried to get help from Linksys, but they want $30 for one-time help, which, IMO, is BS.

Please help!

A:Local access only?

One more thing:

This has happened to me before on a couple occasions with a wired connection as well, but has fixed itself after an hour or two each time. My current problem has been going on almost a week now and has yet to self-repair.

HELP!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/273650-local-access-only.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi Guys
I have a acer aspire laptop running on vista (basic) I have recently moved and I am now with Virginmedia they have suppled me with a Netgear 300n router I keep getting local only and limited connectivity. No internet at all. My daughters laptop running on xp connects without any problems phoned virgin and they say its my laptop and cant help unless they send there own people out at a cost of course any ideas would buying a Wireless N adaptor solve problem if all else fails? tried ipconfig /all and the usual rebooting till im blue in the face
Thanks in anticpation
Pau l

A:Solved: Keep getting Local only

Are you using wireless or cable - if wireless try removing all the profiles - see below
would you post the following please ipconfig /all here - see below
also the xirrus screen shot - see below
have you tried safe mode with networking - tap F8 as it boots - and choose "safemode with networking" from menu
------------------------------------------------------------------------
{ipconfig /all}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
-> Start
-> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all
-> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Wireless Profiles
http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-tutorials-f17/removing-an-existing-wireless-profile-t109.htm
- Vista/Windows7:
http://www.tp-link.com/support/showfaq.asp?id=214
- delete the wireless profiles
Start> control Panel> classic view> network and sharing center> manage wireless networks

Delete the profiles
you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to
--

Wireless Profiles
http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-tutorials-f17/removing-an-existing-wireless-profile-t109.htm
- XP
http://www.tp-link.com/support/showfaq.asp?id=186
- delete the preferred networks
start> control panel> network connections> right click on the wireless connection> listed wireless networks tab in the preferred network list click on each one and - remove button

you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to

Google public DNS
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
{run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector} Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
Then run the program
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-keep-getting-local-only.936858/
Relevancy 27.09%

Starting about a week ago, one of my laptops in my house only gets a local connection from my router, I can connect at work okay, and at the neighbors house(shhh!). I can't figure out why, I have tried resetting modem and router, I have Comcast broadband, other computers on system connect fine. Trying to frustratedly to think logically, I am not sure if it is a problem with my laptop or the network. Nothing new has been added software or otherwise, I have tried disabling/enabling network adapter and trying to update driver. Neither worked. My network has a Compaq desktop running 98, a Toshiba laptop running the latest version of Vista, a tivo and the laptop with no connection. I have had everything configured this way for months, and everything runs on wireless except desktop.

Thank you for reading this

A:local only connectivity

try as follows
ipconfig /all

TWO Methods to do that - some people have problems with ONE----

ONE ---------------------------------
start
run
cmd
ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

------------------------------------------------
try ping the name and then the IP see below

start
run
cmd

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping {the default gateway ipaddress you got above }
C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping google.com
Pinging google.com [64.233.187.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=107ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=102ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=101ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 101ms, Maximum = 120ms, Average = 107ms

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>ping 64.233.187.99 or the number supplied by google from above
Pinging 64.233.187.99 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=116ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=113ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=113ms TTL=243
Reply from 64.233.187.99: bytes=32 time=111ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 111ms, Maximum = 116ms, Average = 113ms

C:\Documents and Settings\wayne>Click to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-only-connectivity.773619/
Relevancy 27.09%

I am having trouble with my wife's Dell laptop. I allows only local access on the wireless network. This happend once last year and I was able to do a safe start then shutdown and it worked on a normal start. It has done it twice this week already. Does any one have any ideas?

All of my other wireless devises are able to get to the internet.

Relevancy 27.09%

hi everyone.

i have a system in which some files are in sharing.The problem is when i try to access tht sys from the other sys through local admin it wont get connected,if i log in into the domain user or domain admin i can access that computer.
how can i solve tht problem.
domain network
server:win 2000 server

A:local admin

When you're connecting to it, do you remember to prefix the local login with PCNAME\? That is SERVER\administrator or PC1\administrator?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-admin.773275/
Relevancy 27.09%

When trying to connect wirelessly to the internet through my Netgear router (Comcast);
Password protected I can only connect Locally, not internet.When it is not protected I can connect fine.I can connect fine using a wire.But I can't if it's password protected!!!

Can someone help me connect wirelessly to a protected network?

A:Local only - no internet please help

You are going to need a WEP Key to be able to connect to a Protected Network

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/279690-local-only-no-internet-please-help.html
Relevancy 27.09%

I have a computer using a local account. I use the Microsoft account separately to login to apps etc. When using another app I want to login with, I would get the account popup and can select my MS acct. How can I prevent that from accidentally being used in another app, I guess what I'm also saying is, is there a way to require a password when using my MS acct login? Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/52004-using-local-ms-accounts.html
Relevancy 27.09%

I have installed a router and have Two computers working on line right now I believe I have created a Network(HayesGroup) between the two computers,the problem is I have no idea how to log on to this Network or what a Network adapter is.The two computers show when I click on View all computers in this work group,but when I click on My wifes it says its unavailable thatI might not have permission to go there??allso"the network path was not found?????I have used the Network wizzard on both computers and it says its installed,How do I get to it??Does it show up like a Program or website in the Computer? How do I install a Network adator if I dont have one?

Relevancy 27.09%

Hi I dont have any experience writing these so im not too sure how they go so sorry in advance for my mistakes I have laptops both running vista home premium and both have been working perfectly until recently I use mobile broadband and this worked fine until i upgraded the hardware to a Local Only Access faster version When i did this i could not connect to the internet on my nd laptop I was getting the message quot local access only Local Access Only quot My other laptop still worked fine on the new dongle so I could live without my nd laptop on my home internet as i primarily use this one for college anyway However i then decided to get a mobile broadband router When i connect this up i can detect the network on both laptops and connect to it but i Local Access Only am now getting the message quot local access only quot on both computers I have spent literally hours of my life on the phone running through every kind of test with my isp and still have gotten nowhere They cannot identify the problem and are telling me that there actually isn't one and can't understand why its not working If anybody could shed any light on the situation it would be greatly appreciated because i'm literally at my wits end

A:Local Access Only

coould you tell us about your netowrk setup. what kind of router, and wifi in the computers. how do you connect to the internet.

in search type cmd then ipconfig. using the built in snipping tool (type snipping in search)to take a screenshot of the results
Ken

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/247860-local-access-only.html
Relevancy 27.09%

I happen to safely unplug my imation swivel thumbdrive & i get this in my computer right after.

How do i get rid of this unknown Local Disk?
Is something wrong with my thumbdrive?

A:Local Disk (E:)

worme said:

I happen to safely unplug my imation swivel thumbdrive & i get this in my computer right after.

How do i get rid of this unknown Local Disk?
Is something wrong with my thumbdrive?Click to expand...

Look here in the pic:

start/control panel/system/hardware tab

to see if there is anything that you can find out.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-disk-e.417790/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello,

I did some searching on this topic and saw the answer was to turn off default gateway. I work at home and am connected to my home network and VPN into my work network so outlook will work. If I look at my VPN Status, it says IPv4 connectivity - no internet access- and IPv6 connectivity no network access.

From what I was able to find this is how I want it set up so that my general internet browsing it not going over my VPN. Can you confirm that's what IPv4 no internet access means?

My home network says IPv4 connectivity - internet -

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vpn-vs-local-traffic-help.1095927/
Relevancy 27.09%

Since I don't see any post that matches my problem here goes Recently built out of spare parts and some new parts a Media Center PC Loaded Vista Ultimate X on the box and Local Only Connection have it hard wired to my network Issue is limited connection on my network and no internet connection All was working great until SP was installed Since then I can not access the internet ping my router or see my WHS or my wifes XP Pro laptop but I can see and access my daughters laptop running Vista Home Premium and my laptop running Windows RC I have tired to disable IPv both Local Connection Only through the proprieties on my nick and through the registry no effect Tried netsh winsock reset no effect also when I go into network settings network discovery is turned off Local Connection Only I enable it with no effect next reboot it is off again I saw a post about putting local services group in the administrators group no effect I have a D-Link DI router my MC PC is showing up in the assigned IP tables the IP that is returned when I do an ipconfig matches the one issued by the router As I stated before I had NO network connection issues until SP was installed Is my only option to un-install or remove SP is that even possible

A:Local Connection Only

Have you tried updating the network card's drivers on that PC?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/248423-local-connection-only.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Helping a friend with some issues on a Toshiba P205 series laptop (Core 2 Duo T5300, 802.11a/g/n wireless-LAN). Issues resolved (they thought they had a virus or spyware, but ESET online scanner, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Norton Security find nothing.) Although slow, the computer appears to work perfectly. . . save one thing. I cannot get wireless Internet access -- only "Local access" (wired access works fine). When I look at the available connections, it lists only two: Mine and something called "Network 3 (Private network)". The connection to my router is named "Unidentified network (Public network). Attempts to change it to "Private network" result in the computer automatically changing it back to a Public network. Signal strength for the connection to my (D-Link) router is "excellent" -- 5 bars.

Why can I not get wireless Internet access?

Relevancy 27.09%

At one of my clients, about three machines out of ten are seeing the error below as of a few weeks ago. To get rid of it they simply reboot and it reconnects but I don't know why all of a sudden this would happen. All the computers are joined to Windows
Server 2012 domain and they all run the same login script which is already set to delete the two mapped drive's before reconnecting them on boot. What else can I check?

Login Script:
net use N: /delete
net use U: /delete

net use N: "\\WWDC\network" /persistent:yes
net use U: "\\WWDC\users" /persistent:yes

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/756ceb60-f4ec-427d-89df-dbffb21ff17e/the-local-device-name-is-already-in-use?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 27.09%

Local Disk (Z: ) showed up out of no where.  When I try to open the drive I get the following:  I close the window in fear of Malware.When I scan the drive with my Anti-Malware software,what I find is Z:\EFI\Microsoft\ and Z:\EFI\HP\ folders, which I think are boot\system files. One of the file I was able to catch was: Z:\EFI\HP\SystemDiags\SystemDiags.s12. I notice that drive Z:  showed up around the time I was trying to install a new HP Envy 5540 printer.  With this more information can you tell me  what this is? I do not what to hit Continue until I know what it is!!It not a very big Disk either  Could it be deleted?

A:Local Disk Z

Shempstir Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!I read your post about your drive questions and wanted to help. MS makes this all confusing with their misuse of terminology.  When you or I say "drive", we think of a Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or a Solid State Drive (SSD).  This is a physical piece of hardware. But when MS says "drive", what they actually mean is a partition -- a formatted block of space on an existing physical drive. In your case, the "Z" partition is most likely the EFI System Partition (ESP) which holds the boot information for the OS. Don't worry about this, and don't mess with this -- this partition is vital to your PC booting and should be left alone.Good LuckI am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.========================================================================If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Local-Disk-Z/td-p/5567916
Relevancy 27.09%

Why do I have a drive called local disk Q:? It says access is denied when I try to open it. Attached are screenshots of drive Q properties and My Computer.

A:Local Disk Q: ?

Hi -

Drive Q: is created by Office 2010 Beta.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/local-disk-q-519100.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello everybody, new to the site.
Here Is My problem, I took a win xp/media center off a domain few months ago. I have not used it since. I booted it up this morning in Admin, No Problem. I put it into a workgroup no problem. when i try to access any program, some local folders and/or control panel I get a message stating
"Windows can't access the specified device, path or folder. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".
Now I can go into safe mode and there is no problem access anything. I can get on the internet ,right click on folders and so on, but once I relog on as admin -full control I can't get on the internet, launch programs, etc.

I really do not want to re-install.
thanks

A:Access To Local Pc

Hey there dirt, welcome to BC!

Try logging into safe mode and creating a new Administrator level account. Than reboot into normal mode and log into the new account. Do things work in the new account or are they the same?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/122182/access-to-local-pc/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi,

First off I am a Mac user, so win2000 is very unfamiliar to me.
I have a winpc basically for testing websites in IE.

I have a LAN behind a router comprising of 2 mac's, 1pc & a ps2.
I use apache webserver on a G5 as the main network machine.
The mac's are set up to resolve the domain "local.riquez.co.uk" to the IP of the G5. I want to achieve the same setting on the PC.
What should I do?

As a very trivial secondary question...
How do i set the PC to automatically login on my user account when it boots.
At the moment it keeps logging in as "Administrator" & i have to logout & re-login as me. Where do i find the settings to auto-login in my name.

Thanks guys,
Riquez

A:resolve a www to a local ip

riquez said:

Hi,

First off I am a Mac user, so win2000 is very unfamiliar to me.
I have a winpc basically for testing websites in IE.

I have a LAN behind a router comprising of 2 mac's, 1pc & a ps2.
I use apache webserver on a G5 as the main network machine.
The mac's are set up to resolve the domain "local.riquez.co.uk" to the IP of the G5. I want to achieve the same setting on the PC.
What should I do?Click to expand...

I assume you just want it to resolve locally and not on the internet. You can edit this file on your machine. C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS

As a very trivial secondary question...
How do i set the PC to automatically login on my user account when it boots.
At the moment it keeps logging in as "Administrator" & i have to logout & re-login as me. Where do i find the settings to auto-login in my name.

Thanks guys,
RiquezClick to expand...

I believe you can set that with the Power Toys in TweakUI. Or just go into Control Panel > User Accounts. Check the box that says Users must enter a username and password to use this computer. Then click Apply. Then uncheck the box and click apply. It will then ask you who you want to AutoLogin.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/resolve-a-www-to-a-local-ip.267709/
Relevancy 27.09%

Alrighty. Everyone knows about all those new ActiveX controls that'll install LOADS of spyware and viruses to the point of no return. Well this is the third time I have to reformat the family computer and I'm getting sick of the excersize. Anyways, I'm going to start by disabling any new ActiveX downloads etc to make sure my daughter doesn't just go on a hay day but does anyone else have any tips as to ways I can keep her from getting into trouble? I remember there used to be XP policies that you could use to disable a user from making new files and stuff and was wondering if anyone had guides or tips as to using stuff like that. Basically, any tips would be appreciated as to locking down the machine to each user. Thanks in advance.

A:Local Security

Microsoft has lots of good information on how to lock down Windows and your PC, see: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/hardsys/default.mspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-security.213386/
Relevancy 27.09%

Greetings,

I live in a small town rural area. Our phone system is a locally owned enterprise which owns all the local lines. A division of this company also owns the CATV and ISP services. The company does not allow competitors to lease lines and offer low-priced ISP services. In short, they have a monopoly on all telecommunications. Lousy dial-up costs about $28 month and low-end DSL about $65 with a $200 equipment purchase.

My question: Is there a technology to allow us to access the internet by bypassing these local lines short of satellite internet? For example, can WIFI skip over their lines and lily-pad to a cheaper service area?

Thanks

Relevancy 27.09%

just did a hd format and reinstall of windows vista (hp laptop pavillion DV6000).
Can not get internet connection (cable or WiFi) past "local only"

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/aa0390e4-337b-40fd-b282-5dbcd8660f36/access-local-only?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 27.09%

I have two computers that I would like to have FTP between.

One with Windows Vista 64bit
Another with Ubuntu 9.10

What kinds of steps do I need to go through to get files from my Vistas HDD to the Ubuntu's HDD.

A:FTP over local network

Quote: Originally Posted by Focksie

I have two computers that I would like to have FTP between.

One with Windows Vista 64bit
Another with Ubuntu 9.10

What kinds of steps do I need to go through to get files from my Vistas HDD to the Ubuntu's HDD.

The fastest way -- FTPDMIN: Minimal ad-hoc file transfer Windows FTP server Windows 7 will alert you that it's listening on the FTP ports but that's what you want right? Make note of the IP address it's listening on and make sure that's the address on your local network you want.

Then just use your favorite FTP client in Ubuntu...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/89522-ftp-over-local-network.html
Relevancy 27.09%

whats the difference between network & local access. my internet says i'm "Currently Connetected to network 6 - Access Local & Internet"
Then it says i can "Connect to a Network & Sharing Center" which i dont. what does alll this mean?
it is an icon on the bottom of my screen.

Relevancy 27.09%

When I restart my computer, I mow get an error message that my local profile can not be found, so a default profile is loaded.

How can I find and restore my local profile which has all my info and settings?

A:local profile

In this case I would allow for the dafault file to load and possibly try a system restore.

If at all possible try to see if you can find your profile by going to My Computer>Properties>Advance>UserProfiles....

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-profile-573261.html
Relevancy 27.09%

is there a way to set up local permissions for users on win2k?

what i want to do is stop one user from being able to access certain folders.

i have tried setting up permissions on a folder in both FAT32 and NTFS partitions setting only the admin account and my account to access these folders, but when i log on as another user these folders are still available.

A:WIN 2k - local permission

you have to make sure that the user is not part of the admin group, or have admin properties.. here is a step by step guide on setting up users..

http://www.lpt.com/windowsnetworking/regusers/w2kpolic.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-2k-local-permission.158345/
Relevancy 27.09%

the local policy of this system does not permit you to login interactively

that's the message i get when trying to log in using remote access

any suggestions?

Relevancy 27.09%

Dear all,
I made a few stupid mistakes when installing Win7 beta (build 7000). namely, the file was downloaded from windows and saved with the filename called default. No image burner would recognise it as such so what I did I "uncompressed" it and then I got a setup file which I used to install Windows 7 over Vista. This was not a clean install so that is my first mistake. The installation went on fine (a warning about possible printer issues). Windows 7 performs fine but I have one issue. It will not connect to the Internet. I use Netgear DG834PN and it recognises it but will connect most times only locally. Even when it tells me that local and Internet are connected, there is no internet traffic. I tried installing the latest firmware for the router but it did not help.
Any idea what to do? I am desperate at this stage

A:Local connection only

hello dublincalling and welcome

it would really help if you can fill in your system specs and also whether this is a whether a wireless or wired connection we are talking about...
my guess is that your drivers only work half of the time but to be sure we need more info..

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/4764-local-connection-only.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Greetings,

At my last place of work I primarily used Debian; at my new workplace, I really need to use Windows 8 on my desktop; that in itself is not a problem. The problem I'm experiencing is that the native RDP client (remote desktop) will always use the server's local keymap - and I do not use a qwerty keyboard. My opinions on this aside, I appear to have two main options:

1) Find an alternative RDP client which uses the local keymap, as the Linux clients generally do.
2) Simply learn to use qwerty.

I've had to luck with option number one, so before I start the misery of number two, I thought I'd try a last-ditch attempt, and ask others.

A:Using RDP with a local keymap

Learn QWERTY & you will be twice as valuable an employee & get a raise in pay & maybe a big promotion.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/28986-using-rdp-local-keymap.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Greetings Local Only Problems all I am here to-day to discuss my major problem with Windows It is from this problem alone that from now on I have decided that I will no longer purchase software from Microsoft I believe this is the pre-SP release I have also integrated SP into the installation this does NOT make any difference Over the past week I am having to install Windows again and again I have installed Microsoft Windows Local Only Problems Version aka quot Vista quot to my surprise I am redundent to access Local Only Problems the Internet I have set-up a network previously with Windows Version quot XP quot with a much better experiance No pun intended This is by the workgroup routine and setting fixed static IP addresses with all machines I have three machines in my household Two of which are gracefully on Windows and successfully can quot see quot eachother and can transfer files to one another Also they can connect to the Internet I have two routers at my household The first one is an ADSL Modem-Router which is connected downstairs where the quot master socket quot is for the telephone line The second is upstairs in my office which is connected via a CAT E cable from the one downstairs It is a NAT router but I have configured it successfully to act as a hub for the network The two computers that are in my office connect via CAT E cables to the NAT router I have tried connecting Wireless with Win but the same problem occurs Under the Win environment it seems impossible to get any work done because I am right now trying to install it for it to access the Internet I have searched and googled many websites to which I have exhausted to do The contant stream of quot Local Only quot connections is frustrating and time consuming These are the following that I have done links provided I have followed quot quot quot resolutions quot quot quot Re-confirgured both routers Tried installing Win with SP Updated NIC drivers as well as all drivers in general Changed CAT E cables Changed Micro-filers Re-installed Windows on current machine with network No Internet Re-installed Windows on other machines with network and Internet Disabled UAC Re-enable Local Area Connection http support microsoft com kb http www daniweb com forums thread html http www chicagotech net vista vistalocalonly htm many other links but these are the ones that quot pop-up quot everywhere Disabled firewall Enabled NetBios over TCP Some registry suggestions net sh whatever cant remember done too many THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP REGARDING THIS MATTER

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/local-only-problems-239915.html
Relevancy 27.09%

I have interbnet service from AT&T which worked great until I updated to windows 10. My pc now connects to the wifi just find, I can download updates, but I can not browse a web page. When I go into open a web page I get an error that the page can not be displayed. If I vpn to my work it works just fine then. I have reset the browser settings, created a new account on my pc and nothing has helped.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Dale

A:Can't us local Wifi

Please check the DNS settings on your router

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/31347-cant-us-local-wifi.html
Relevancy 27.09%

I just bought a new vista laptop For two weeks it connected no Local internet Only- to the internet through my wireless router no questions asked Yesterday I restarted windows to clear the perenially hung WMP and now Vista is incapable of recognizing the internet through my router It might be just a coincidence but Windows Defender Startup blocker all of a sudden began loading at startup and telling me it blocked Adobe Update for no apparent reason This first happened on the Internet killing restart and It does this everytime now I haven't changed anything else that might have caused this Steps Local Only- no internet I have taken Plug computer directly into modem internet works fine Try second wired router computer finds accesses device and local network but no internet same as oter router Reset router modem computer a million F-ing times Internet LED on router on and blinking Disable all Router Config security no help Update Router firmware no help Turn off Window Firewall no help Use Universtiy Wireless access point Works fine I would really appreciate any help with this

A:Local Only- no internet

do a hard reset of the router and then reset it up

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/local-only-no-internet-144662.html
Relevancy 27.09%

I'm running Vista on an Acer 4630Z laptop. My wireless connection changes frequently during the day from "Access: Local and Internet," to "Access: Local Only." It does not appear to have any affect on my wifi reception or my access to the internet, though sometimes it seems it may be a little bit slower in "local only." I can disconnect then reconnect and will quickly get Local and Internet again.
This happens several times a day.
What would be causing this? I've read other threads about people having Local Access only and not being able access the internet but that is not my problem. I can still access the internet even though it says "local only."
But I'd like to fix this so that it will stay on "Local and Internet."
Thanks!

A:Access: Local Only

Make and model of router ?
First things that are easy to do and do fix many router problems.
Download and install any current router firmware.
Do a router reset.Hold the reset button down for at least 15 seconds.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-local-only.847778/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello, im using a Compaq Presario CQ60, and since ive moved into my moms house from my old house ive been having nothing but connection issues, About every 30 minutes or so it gets Disconnected, and i look at my connection access, and it goes from Internet and Local to just Local only, kinda getting irritated, we alsso have 2 other computers here that are running fine with the internet, but i cant get this too work, Please someone Help me.

A:Local access only?

Welcome to TSG:
Need some more info.Please answer as many of the questions as you can:
The “Johnwill” need to know about your environment questionnaire:

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

What country are you located in.
Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
What is the expected Upstream/Downstream speed for your ISP Connection?
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Make and model of your computer.
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP1-SP2, Vista, etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms? Have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way? Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?

If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-access-only.844069/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi,

I have just upgraded to Windows 7 from XP.

Everything is working OK but My hard drive letter is now H not C

Why has this happened?

Is it an issue?

I'm concerned that it will mess up my iTunes library and generally confuse things.

A:Local drive is H not C?

This can sometimes happen when doing an upgrade type install from inside an existing OS.
The only sure way to prevent this is to install fresh from external media

The best way to deal with a dual boot is to keep all your data on a separate data partition which can then be assigned the same drive letter from within both OS's.

You can then store things such a the iTunes library and your documents on the data partition - a secondary benefit of this policy is that if you lose an OS you are less likely to lose or corrupt the data

If this is a single OS situation then it should not cause any issues for correctly written software and their installers - however a program that assumes a system drive is the C: drive may have issues

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/68422-local-drive-h-not-c.html
Relevancy 27.09%

My HP laptop with windows XP OS will not connect to the internet as long as the local network connection is connected, this trend just started recently, the local network is connected to two Toshiba Cash registers for Polling/ price changes.

A:Local Network

Do you connect through a router (and is the other nodes on the network connected to the same router?)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/local-network-666439.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Is it possible to drag a window from an RDP session to your local desktop? There is a user that states that this was possible and after some network changes it is no longer possible. He also states that he knows other people that are able to do this. It should be noted that the RDP session is being established through a web portal and there are no related options. If it is possible is there specific software that is required or can this be enabled server side?

Thanks
Jason

A:RDP & Local Desktop

since the RDP session logs you in as a different user, you would not be dragging a file to that users local desktop. If you went to C:\Users\username\ and dragged it into their Desktop folder you could do that.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/rdp-and-local-desktop-653907.html
Relevancy 27.09%

I have a wireless router with three computers and an xbox 360 connected
the XP machines(2) are fine but the vista machine connects local only and I am lost.
it appears that ipconfig data got messed up and I dont know how to fix it

I am a retired network administrator I know networks but I am not to good with computers (only servers)

what data do you want me to supply ?

A:connection is local

Hi -

Please post your system specifications.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/connection-is-local-372223.html
Relevancy 27.09%

I really don't want to use a MS account to login to Win 8.1. Can I choose a local account during install? I've seen a few posts that indicate this is not possible.

A:Can 8.1 use a local account

Actually, this morning I decided to give 8.1 a go. When I got to where I had to sign in with a MS account I screwed up the password, and then 8.1 said OK to continue, login to account later.

Upshot of all that is 8.1 is installed just fine, and I did not ever have to sign in with a MS account. I used the update version from store.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/27328-can-8-1-use-local-account.html
Relevancy 27.09%

My mom's HP Pavilion Dv with vista home will no longer get onto the internet it will Only.... Connection Local only connect local only my laptop works just fine on the same router and we also tried connecting it to our neighbors router and it does the same thing thus we think it's a problem with the laptop It's about a year and a half old or so I updated the Broadcom g WLAN driver tonight restarted and still no luck we have tried the window repair and disabling the network and re-enabling it and disabling it Local Connection Only.... and restarting then re-enabling it I tried to disable the IPv but the quot DisabledConnections quot was not there and I got a little lost on how to create it Do I need to make a new key with that name then a DWORD or just the DWORD in the Protocols or what ever the key was I was following a guide I don't remember but it WAS the right key key So any help with this would be loved and thanks in advance It will get online using a AT amp T wireless card

A:Local Connection Only....

Hi, you can ignore the IPv6 it's the IPv4 thats in play here could you post the results of a command prompt "ipconfig /all" (without quotes).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/local-connection-only-328136.html
Relevancy 27.09%

For a couple months I've had a single account without password protection - never had to purposefully log out - just shut down. I added another account a couple days ago. Now the PC hangs up with a blank screen for about 5 minutes when I try to log out. Eventually the PC wakes up, but the logout has failed.

The only thing I see in the event log are a lot of the ubiquitous DistributedCOM 10016 errors, many with the userid of the user I'm trying to log out. Is there likely to be a connection? I've never noticed any external problem associated with the 10016 errors so I've never tried the rather long an (for me) complicated fixes. Should I try to fix this error, or would that be wasted effort?

Is there anything else I should do to debug this problem?

I think I'll try shutting down, but I'm not sure I'll be able to start back up.

A:Can't log out of local account

The error is usually related to missing permissions, do you have admin or standard account?
My guess, it can not end some running software, try to run this as admin in CMD, in that account:

reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "AutoEndTasks" /t REG_SZ /d "1" /f
reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "HungAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "10000" /f
reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "WaitToKillAppTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "20000" /f
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control" /v "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" /t REG_SZ /d "20000" /f

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/50964-cant-log-out-local-account.html
Relevancy 27.09%

hi im have a bit of a problem with my computer at home There are desktops and laptop in my house my desktop being the most recent its is a packard bell and i am using a blue next usb dongol to connect to my wireless internet the router for our internet is in my dads room next bedroom to me connectivity Local and for some reason it shows that it is connected to the router but not to the internet S i am really confused Local connectivity and im thinking of just dumpin my computer i have sat on it for days now and it just will not connect there is a wep security which i have typed in and still no luck what i am mainly confused Local connectivity about is that my laptop is connected to it fine its just my computer S when i hover my cursor above the connection symbol on my computer it either says Curentlly connected to unidentified Network lynksis access local only or currently connected to unidentified network lynksis access limited connection can someone plz help me xx nbsp

A:Local connectivity

Remove all the stored wireless profiles on the nonworking machine and search for a new network. See if that gets you connected.

Did this machine ever connect to that router with the current encryption and key? I'd start by disabling all encryption on the router and trying that way.

Another thing is that Vista sometimes has issues with WEP, and it seems worse with 64 bit than 128 bit, at least for me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-connectivity.822204/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi I got an o broadband standard package The exchange is just across the help only!! Internet Please local road from my house My BT master socket is in the Ground floor I have another socket on the first floor I set up the Internet local only!! Please help connection on friday night through the secondary BT socket which is on the first floor It was working fine I tried using the DSL wire Yellow colour Internet local only!! Please help and also tried wireless and It worked perfectly fine The next morning I tried to connect to the internet using wireless and It was not working it said local only I tried connecting the Wire and the internet worked with the wire I phoned o and they said I have to connect my router to the master socket I did that and still NO internet They said they will change some channels in my router and now Internet is not working with the wire aswell Phoned o several times they said i have to open the BT socket and connect it to test line which I did and They saying now that My BT line might has got some problem and I need to phone BT to get it checked There are small computer on the botton right corner next to the time I clicked that and It show that Access Local only I diagnosed so many times reset the settings reset the router still doesnt work Can some one please help please try to use easy term Im not good at computers Thanks Naveed

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/183897-internet-local-only-please-help.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello,

What a truly great Forum.

My UserName on PC is "Bob".

I would like to navigate to:

C:\users\Bob\appdata\local\SDRSFM\Freqmgr.db

No matter how I try, I can't seem to get passed Bob\
When Bob opens up, there is no Appdata Folder showing.

The path is correct, and the Folder SDRSFM exists, as well as the file Freqmgr.db

I can get to it using a program that requires it, but this is convoluted.
If I try in a normal way via the PC's hierarchical structure, no luck.

As best I can determine, all the Permissions, etc., should allow this.

Any thoughts as to how to get passed "Bob\" ? (and/or to appdata and local)

Thanks,
Bob

A:Getting To \appdat\local\... ?

AppData is hidden use step 3 of this tutorial to unhide it File and Folder - Hide or Unhide

Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/268465-getting-appdat-local.html
Relevancy 27.09%

I posted a couple of days ago about my network access dropping from local amp internet to local to Local Fix Network no connection after Local Network Fix recently upgrading to vista I tried every solution othe people have posted on the net but my problem still persisted So last night I reinstalled vista and created a restore point after the st start-up I was able to use the internet without interruption for over hrs Then this morning windows Local Network Fix installed updates After the updates were installed my problem started again I went ahead and restored my computer to the st restore point and now it is working fine My fix to this problem is to not install any updates I know that it is not the proper fix but for anyone as frustrated with vista as i am this is a way to maintain your internet connection I am a newcomer to vista but I found out that this problem has been happening to other for years I can't understand why microsoft wont fix this problem If this post helps anyone else with the same problem please reply with your story

A:Local Network Fix

the problem with not updating vista is it leaves your operating system wide open to attack , thats exactly how conficker spread. An unpatched OS can make your firwall and AV next to useless

why dont you set your updates so they are not automatic , then pick the updates to install , install them one at a time run your pc for a while each time until you find the offending update

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/227799-local-network-fix.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi In Domain environment,how do i assign a user of a domain in the local administrative group of the member systems of the domain using restricted group policy or other simple ways.Thanks
(i need step by step instruction on configuring my needs)

A:Local Admins

If you want to add a domain user to the Administrators group on multiple computers, you'll have to use some type of login script.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-admins.879532/
Relevancy 27.09%

A couple related questions:

Once I install software and configure the system while logged in as one user how can I copy that configuration so that other users have the identical settings when logged in under their own profiles. I'd like to know how to do this for both Win2000 and NT.

Also, how can I setup one local account and add additional users to the domain?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-profiles.68941/