Windows Support Forum

Changing Processor in Compaq Presario 8000T

Q: Changing Processor in Compaq Presario 8000T

I have a Compaq Presario T P Socket here that I am having trouble putting a processor into It came originally with a -MHz that died I put a into it and I got an error on boot that I needed a BIOS update Processor Compaq 8000T Presario Changing in to support the new clocking and I had to press F to continue the boot After that everything worked fine The quot Press F to Continue quot message was annoying so I removed that processor and returned it I later installed a BIOS update and inserted a -MHz The F message is Changing Processor in Compaq Presario 8000T now gone but the is running at MHz Compaq is no help as I didn t get the processor from them The processors aren t available at a reasonable price they are rare and seem to all cost more than a and I just can t seem to bring myself to pay that premium for the chip I considered a -MHz processor but with the problems Changing Processor in Compaq Presario 8000T I ve had with the I m not sure I want to spend over a hundred dollars and find more problems A processor would solve the problem but I can t find them priced reasonably Does anyone here have any suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Changing Processor in Compaq Presario 8000T

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Changing Processor in Compaq Presario 8000T

Never mind. I found a 2200 at a reasonable price at Spartan Technologies for about $130.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-processor-in-compaq-presario-8000t.225604/
Relevancy 83.42%

My Presario T 8000T powered Presario down when powers on immediately turned off by itself the other day no changes where made to hardware or software This computer has been working with no problems for the last several years I swapped the power supply with the exact make and model and have a steady green light Presario 8000T immediately powers down when powered on and full power from connectors Here s what s happening When I plug the computer in the light on the power supply is green and steady When I turn on the computer the power comes on all the fans spin lights are all green and then it just turns itself off no beeps no boot The whole process takes about second I then need to unplug the power hold power button in and wait for the supply to blink green once then I can plug it back in with a steady Presario 8000T immediately powers down when powered on green light I have replaced the cmos battery unplugged everything but the system board and tried to turn on checked all power connections reseated the RAM and Video card removed all dust including fans and between fan and heat sink and inspected the mother board All without luck Anyone have any ideas Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/presario-8000t-immediately-powers-down-when-powered-on.892390/
Relevancy 82.56%

Looking to upgrade the processor on

COMPAQ PRESARIO SR5110NX

Currently has AMD ATHLON 64, 2.4 GH, SOCKET AM2
Trying to increase the speed,..I have the memory maxed out. Would one of these be compatable?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Socket AM2 2x1MB Level 2 cache size ADA6000IAA6CZ

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.0GHz 2MB socket AM2 89W ADA6000IAA6CZ

AMD CPU Athlon 64 X2 6000+/3.0GHz/2M/AM2 940pin ADX6000IAA6CZ Dual core
COMPAQ says it can accept 64 X 2 Dual core up to 65 watts? DO these look workable, any other more realistic/cheaper approach on this upgrade...point the way.....what's a good way to go...

Relevancy 82.56%

Hi all, I have searched all over the internet and cannot find anything that tells me whether I can upgrade the processor in my laptop. I currently run an Athlon XP-M 2400+, and I would like to upgrade it to an Athlon XP-M 3000+. I am pretty sure I will need a new bios, and the chip is supported by the motherboard. Can anyone help me find a bios that will work? Or is it just not possible to upgrade my laptop. . .

bigblondguy

A:compaq presario 2175 processor upgrade

There are two letters after 2175. Could you post those?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-2175-processor-upgrade.289509/
Relevancy 82.56%

I have a Compaq Presario SR5413WM which according to HP I can upgrade the processor. I upgraded the RAM a couple of years ago, and the machine runs fine, but was curious to know if it was worth upgrading the processor.

My current processor is AMD Athlon LE-1640

Operating speed: Up to 2.7 GHz
Number of cores: 1
Socket: AM2
Bus speed: 2000 MT/s

according to HP I can upgrade it to
Socket type: AM2
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Athlon 64 up to 3800+
Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 4800+ (up to 65 watt TDP)
Sempron - All

I have copied this info from HP's website, and it really doesn't mean much to me, but was hoping that you guys could help!

A:Upgrading processor in a Compaq Presario SR5413WM

I would think that the difference is negligible depending on what you use the computer for.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-processor-in-a-compaq-presario-sr5413wm.178066/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hello,
I need some help with my compaq on whether i could change my processor to a better one.
i have done some upgrades myself by changing the ram to 2gb and the graphics card to a ati 5670 and the power supply to a 560w.

Heres the link to the computer info:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...foCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3330128

I would also like some suggestion on a cpu that is a mid-high range processor thks!

Relevancy 81.7%

Hello, I want to upgrade from the E-300 dual core 1.30ghz processor currently installed in my Compaq Presario CQ57-426SA. Can you please provide a list of compatible AMD Processors I can install into this notebook PC? Thank you.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Compaq Presario CQ57-426SA processor AMD E-300 upgrade

Hi, It is an AMD processor: Model number    E-300CPU part number    EME300GBB22GV is an OEM/tray microprocessorSocket    BGA413BGA processors, like this one, are soldered on a motherboard, as a result, upgrading or replacing them means buying a new motherboard which means buying a new computer. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Compaq-Presario-CQ57-426SA-processor-AMD-E-300-upgrade/td-p/5826559
Relevancy 80.84%

hey...im new here....i was wondering if anyone could help me...i have a Compaq presario V2000.....it has a celeron M 1.4ghz processor....i bought a 2ghz pentium IIII and tried booting with it in and it didnt boot...so im wondering if the motherboard supports it or not...or if u just fried the processor(which would suck)

A:pentium IIII 2ghz processor in a Compaq Presario V2000

Did you buy a Pentium 4, or a Pentium M? There is a difference, and I believe that only the Pentium M will work in that motherboard. Also, it has to be a Dothan or Sonoma core. If you're not sure which one you have, post the code on the CPU here, and we can figure it out from that. It should be printed on the metal part of the CPU.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pentium-iiii-2ghz-processor-in-a-compaq-presario-v2000.687945/
Relevancy 80.84%

This is only for the ones that like me love their old gear to bits and try to bring it up to a level, where it may still be of some use...

I managed to get this little sweatheart to run Win 95, got it networked and have it access the internet. But the next bottleneck is the capacity of its hard drive...only 220 mb, that means after installing win95, there is only 32 mb left to play with...I have one 1GB and one 4.3 GB hard drive, that I tried to install in this computer. They both would run, but unfortunately the bios does not seem to accept any larger hard disc space than 220 mb and uses only this amount on either hard drives...Is there a way around this problem or am I stuck with 220 mb for good????

Would be grateful for any advice that gets me out of this...

Cheers
Roy

A:Can a Compaq Presario 433, 486SX processor accept hard drives over 220 mb?

One option that might work would be to get a pci controller card.
Here's one.
Not sure if it would work or not.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102002

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-a-compaq-presario-433-486sx-processor-accept-hard-drives-over-220-mb.37173/
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello all I am new to this forum I am a college student with a major in Computer Sciences yet I need some help I have a Compaq T about years old now It has had little work done to it Upgraded to Gig of RAM about months ago I have a DVD-RW drive that I use to burn CDs and DVDs Normally works great I have a secondary drive DVD player which also burns CDs I was burning several CDs Saturday without any problems I tend to use Realplayer I got to a point where my CDs were being read by the drive as being FULL already they are not I can take the same new CD-R drives...reading Compaq both 8000T problems CD-Rs with DVD and put it in another PC and it reads empty like it should Both of my drives read the disk as full If it was merely one I would say the drive is bad But both drives read it the same I can burn DVDs without a problem Properties state that both devices are in proper working order No issues found in device manager Oh Im running XP Professional no recent upgrades I considered a software issue so I uninstalled and reinstalled Realplayer Compaq 8000T problems with both DVD drives...reading CD-Rs no luck I went back to a previous restore point no effect I even went as far to re-install windows No viruses no spyware no other known issues I thought it could be either A bad IDE cable A bad IDE socket A failing Motherboard One bad drive affecting the other since their both on the same IDE cable I havent changed anything within the PC since buying it So I cant imagine it being a master slave issue etc Any suggestions I need help Thanks nbsp

A:Compaq 8000T problems with both DVD drives...reading CD-Rs

Have you tried using another program like nero or media player?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compaq-8000t-problems-with-both-dvd-drives-reading-cd-rs.51217/
Relevancy 66.65%

i dont know anything about computers so i will need a detailed explanation and i need to know how to fix it!! it just stays on the compaq screen

A:My Compaq Presario 2500 wont go pass the compaq screen

Hello lilevee22,

Before the problem started was anything added to or installed on the system?

Try booting to Last Known Good or Safe Mode.

Restart the computer during the boot process repeatedly tap "F8" you should get

the Advanced Options.

Let us know if able to get the system to boot with either option.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-compaq-presario-2500-wont-go-pass-the-compaq-screen-332674.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi My Computer a Compaq Presario SR NX with Windows XP Home Edition SP is having an issue with it wont get past the Compaq Logo Screen like I press the power button the PC powers on Fan Speeds up and then slows down as normal keyboard lights flash as normal and the Compaq Logo along with the v and ESC Boot Menu options appear on screen the things is that it wont get past this screen it just sits there at the Compaq screen the keyboard and mouse dont seem to be interacting with the PC since I press ESC or F for boot mode or system recovery but the PC wont answer at all I've already Disconnected power source unplugged SR1810NX Getting Screen Not Compaq Logo Past Compaq Presario mouse keyboard all but PC is doing the same thing just sitting at the Compaq Logo Screen the computer doesnt make any sound at all no beeps or anything it wont let me access Windows at any time recent installations well could be that I just installed a Mobile Bandwidth Card just a couple of weeks ago Compaq Presario SR1810NX Not Getting Past Compaq Logo Screen and also just a few days ago I connected my iPod Shuffle nd Gen to the computer and the computer wont recognize it at all not even charging I know this might be a virus or malicious software but my computer has barely connected to the internet in the last weeks I couldn't pay the Internet and I had to use my friend's Mobile Bandwidth Card I mentioned before all I did while in Internet with the Mobile Bandwidth was some schoolwork and youtube videos I need help urgently with this Compaq Presario SR1810NX Not Getting Past Compaq Logo Screen since I have to deliver a very important proyect for school tommorrow if not possible then please educate me on how to remove the hard drive and use it in other computer so I can save the proyect Also I don't know if this might be the cause sort of a conflict because like months after I bought my computer I installed it a WLAN Card which I have been using in the computer and well this and the Mobile Bandwidth might be making like sort of a conflict I had already tried to boot the computer without the Mobile Bandwidth and the WLAN but no response Computer Specs Compaq Presario SR NX Desktop Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack Hard Drive GB GB User Available GB Remaining GB DDR SDRAM x AMD Sempron GHz ATI Radeon Xpress Any Help would be Greatly Appreciated

A:Compaq Presario SR1810NX Not Getting Past Compaq Logo Screen

Try a power drain.
1. Unplug power cord
2. Hold power button in for 60 seconds or more then let go
3. Plug in power cord
4. turn on the power and try to boot to setup (BIOS)

If it enters the BIOS then you should be able to just press F5 to reset to defaults and then F10 to save and exit. The PC should work now.

However, if after the power drain you still can not get in the BIOS than there is a MAJOR problem which would require some type of repair.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/compaq-presario-sr1810nx-not-getting-past-compaq-logo-screen-381084.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Cant find the neccessary drivers for the internet have been here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3559331#N337

None of the drivers for ethernet or my wireless card work ???

This is a friends latop they had a virus so i reformatted and now no internet via wirless or wired
any help appreciated.

The virus was a virut file infecter virus so i was afraid to save any of the drivers for fear of reinfection.

Edit:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1525 Mb
Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 5 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 102547 MB, Free - 89975 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 30D9, 83.21, CND80437PP
Antivirus: None

If any more info is needed let me know!!!

Relevancy 58.48%

my compaq presario cq57 says system disabled 62359871..plz help. thank you

Solved!
View Solution.

Relevancy 58.48%

ok when i start up it shows the compaq logo then theres some beeps and it goes to a black screen. Any help? any way to reset all my stuff? i press f11 and it goes to some bios thing and i really dont know what to do. Thanks

Relevancy 58.48%

How do you access the Bios on a Compac Presario 4110. I keep getting the message 162 Sytems Options not set. 163 Time and Date not set. Having visited Compac they were not a lot of help. Downloading the software recommeded by them was a waste of time, still got the above message. Tried all the usual keystrokes etc no good. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Relevancy 58.48%

I have purchased a Compaq Presario 600 with an Athlon XP 2200+ processor. I do not have a copy of Windows XP to wipe it with. Is there any way with the installed XP that I can refresh this system and remove data frome previous owners? Or Can I load Win 98?

A:Compaq Presario 600 ??

Compaqs usually have a hidden partition with all the factory loaded software on it in an image format. As long as it does and you can figure out how to access it you could probable do that - but you almost likely need the XP Product key and may need to reactivate XP after the recovery. XP can only be install on one machine at a time - so if they are still using it you are out of luck.

Watch the boot up for any recovery messages or take a trip to www.Compaq.com and look up the info for your make/model.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-600.141351/
Relevancy 58.48%

How do you open the casing on compaq presario 5304. I don't want to breakit.\

Thanks.

A:compaq presario

Link to tell you all about your computer. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ry&tool=prodinfoCategory&dlc=en&product=93186

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario.448620/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi. Does anyone know if a Compaq Presario SR1150NX does the display system support component video (Y, Pr, Pb) signal output function? Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario.955579/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have a compaq presario. I have 2Gig memory. I changed services from ATT to comcast internet. now my pc needs to be wiped clean and set up again but when I got the computer I did not get the discs. how can I do this without discs> it wont open up the internet even though I am connected.

Please help

Relevancy 58.48%

sir, can u help me, i can't fint my driver for compaq presario v3760TU
previously, i used vista home basic but i convert to window seven.. but i can't find my driver in hp/compaq driver web.. plzz help me..
-sory for my english so bad..

Were you at this Hp/Compaq download page ?

Software & Driver Downloads Compaq Presario V3760TU Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)&

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/119603-compaq-presario.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I friend of mine purchased this Presario in She hasn t had internet since about so she hasn t had any of the updates since then I brought her tower home with me since I have internet to load her updates We re trying to get it internet ready When I brought it home last week nothing would open So yesterday she gave me the system recovery disc I started with the Standard Recovery but there were too many files that it couldn t recover So I then decided to do a full recovery After the full recovery it was rebooting and it told me that not all the system could reload and I couldn t hit okaybecause Compaq Presario it wouldn t read acknowledge my mouse Compaq Presario So I unhooked her computer and rehooked mine to see what her alternatives were I found a website they wanted to know all the things it wouldn t oload All I can remember is Compaq Presario that it was things that could me downloaded later like Norton AOL Adobe Compaq Presario MSN and QuickTime So I unhoked mine and rehooked her s up and booted up my laptop When her s came back up it s saying NTLDR is missing Pres Control Alt Delete to Restart My question for you is there anyway I can save her conputer She doesn t have a lot of funds being a singe mother of a yr old and I m just a good friend trying to help her out Thank you in advance for any help you can provide

A:Compaq Presario

I decided to see what happened when I ctrl alt delete and then decided to do another recovery. Here's some more info (could not recover errors):
1. C:\WINDOWS\Help\SB\Training\WXPPer\Content\Wave\[email protected]
2. C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntdll.dll
3. C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntkrnlpa.exe
4. C:\WINDOWS\32\dllcache\dinput8.dll
5. C:\Windows\systme32\dllcache\licdll.dll
6. C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\locator.exe
7. C:\WINDOWS\system32\viaservc.dll
9. (Black screen instead of error message)
9. C:\WINDOWS\Installe152ec/msi
10. C:\WINDOWS\Installer\1b2cc.msi

then all of after about 20% a big blue screen with following:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. IF this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select safe Mode.

Technical information: *** STOP: OxO00o00A (0xOAODO015, 0x)0)0))FF, OxO000000O, Ox904118EA)

I am now restarting

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/262220/compaq-presario/
Relevancy 58.48%

ok I hace a compaq that is all messed up lets see one day the monitor would not work after a storm Bought another For a while the screen would be blue but change back to normal The pc also would have a hard time starting up after it was in idle We would do a hard start and for a while that worked Now when I try to start it it turns on but the monitor says no vga dvi input There is also none of the preverable beeps that are compaq presario supposed to be there so in short well long the motherboard is fried So do I compaq presario use it as a planter in the yard or is there a way to get it up and running It runs on XP media center it has a micro ATX form factor motherboard it is also an AMD Anthlon ram is mb Rx pc ddr mhz With all that said can I just replace the motherboard and reinstall the reinstallation disks and compaq presario be up and running if it could only be so easy What about the cpu i know many questions here thanks for patients Please help me Tina nbsp

does your system have agp or pciex (or even pci) slot free? Is the graphics on board? It sounds like a graphics card problem, even if it is onboard. I'd try a replacement card (even if it's just a pci card) and see what happens...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario.807676/
Relevancy 58.05%

does anyone have or know where i can find the dip switch settings for a compaq presario 1930 laptop?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-1930.391789/
Relevancy 58.05%

My brother recently bought a new HP desktop PC so he wants to sell his old laptop Compaq Presario Windows XP Home Edition and we both agreed we should do a (Windows Compaq 700 Presario XP) full restore to completely wipe the hard drive clean to it s original slate and we have the original Compaq QuickRestore discs and for whatever reason they re not working There is three CD s and not Compaq Presario 700 (Windows XP) a single scratch or mark on any of them I ve tried to run Compaq Presario 700 (Windows XP) all three on the laptop and the only thing that happens is that the folder containing the discs files on it is what pops up and no actual setup occurs like it says on the little piece of Compaq Presario 700 (Windows XP) paper that comes with the CD s This is what it says First if your Presario Notebook is attached to a Port Replicator QuikDock you must turn the power to the computer off disconnect it from the QuikDock and plug it into an external power socket Disconnect any printer cables or other peripherals from the computer before using Quick Restore Insert the Quick Restore CD bootable disk in the CD drive and press Enter A WARNING message appears advising that you are attempting to totally reformat your hard drive Confirm by following the next step Press and then Enter to continue The Power Quest Quick Restore Wizard starts copying and uncompressing data to the local hard drive This process takes approximately - minutes This warning message never appears and none of this ever happens Does anyone know why Any suggestions or ways to fix this Maybe there s another way to do a destructive restore Please help and thank you so much nbsp

A:Compaq Presario 700 (Windows XP)

Is there an autorun.exe? Setup.exe? Any executable at all on the root of the disk?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-700-windows-xp.774946/
Relevancy 58.05%

Please i desperately need help have got compaq presario us never buy it P ram gb h disk etc etc the problem started when i woulds scan norton antivirus the system would juz freeze tried it a lotta of times but same prob then i started gettin error msgs sayin ISAAC DLL error then RUNTIME DLL error then i wanted to restore it to a previous date but there the calender would be stuck at oct and i wanted to COMPAQ PRESARIO 3015us(HELP!!!!!!) restore it to september then i tried using the compaq recovery disk the disk after mins of running would shut down the computer again same thing happenned - times and next time gave some error sayin cant access drive H dont have drive H and enter but nothing happenned then i got my hard disk formatted but now ot shows quot NO DISK COMPAQ PRESARIO 3015us(HELP!!!!!!) SPACE quot whereas i have gb COMPAQ PRESARIO 3015us(HELP!!!!!!) and same problem of shutting down keeps happenning when the disk runs pls help is it a prob with the motherboard or hard disk or juz something else pls pls help nbsp

A:COMPAQ PRESARIO 3015us(HELP!!!!!!)

hmmm, when you formatted the hard drive, did you FDisk it prior? When I worked for Gateway tech support, we had a little saying, "if nothing else, then FFR"... which meant FDisk, Format, THEN reinstall OS, in that order. Give that a shot with a windows ME bootdisk. You can find the download at bootdisk.com

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-3015us-help.286401/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi Guys,

I Have a Compaq Presario SR1000 and I ended up getting a virus on the machine. Now I cant boot in to windows or safemode, but I know the harddrive is partitioned.

I dont have the manual or boot disks for the computer anymore, does anyone know the command for these machines to access the partion?

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

A:Solved: Compaq Presario

The manual doesn't say .. But I'd try the F10 key at Bootup.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=407663&

You can also Email HP support and see if they know ...
... and If you can still get the recovery CDs ..
[email protected]

Does this computer have a sticker on the side .. or somewhere ....
That tells the M$ product code for the operating system installed ???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-compaq-presario.805918/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi All

I realise this is possibly not the right room for this, but here goes.

Compaq presario V5000 laptop started giving consistant BSOD on start up, no boot (even safemode possible)

*** STOP 0x000000c2 (0x00000043, 0xDFFE8000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Ran linux did memory and hard drive check, seems ok. Have got all my data off and trying to recover the computer to a working state, but turns out the Compaq recovery DVDs i made invoke windows XP, this of course brings on the blue screen of im at the end of my tether.

Any suggestions, as I havn't got a scratch startable version of windows (as they don't give away them anymore.)

Thanks in advance.

A:Compaq presario recovery

Hi.
ok why can you use your restore cd to boot the the laptop with pressing F11 when booting the laptop,then follow the instruction.

N.B
i also have problem with mind i can not used it anymore because i have accident i lost my restore cd for compaq presario v5000.
can you please copy and send them via my e-mail,[email protected]
if you done mined.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/compaq-presario-recovery-140962.html
Relevancy 58.05%

i have a compaq presario 3630AS desktop. It came with quick restore CDs and a recovery CD. If i have to re-install win xp should i use quick restore CD or the other ????? Pls help

A:compaq presario 3630AS

Compaq Recovery CD options
The Compaq Recovery CD enables you to restore your system files from a separate partition on your hard drive. The four options on the Recovery CD are listed below.

Restore option Description
Emergency Diskette Creating this diskette is important as it allows you to save your computer's unique setup information for use in the event of an emergency. Store the diskette in a safe place.

User Backup Backs up all information and files on your hard drive and stores them in a separate partition on your drive.
User Restore Restores your hard drive to the state it was in when you last used User Backup.

Factory Restore Restores your computer to its original factory-installed software state.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/compaq-presario-3630as-483070.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a PIII 733mhz Compaq Presario 5900T that I need some help with.

1st thing is that my harddrive is broken and I am looking into getting a replacement for that, but my question is:

What kind of disks does this computer support?
I tried a 160gb samsung disk, but it hangs at compaq logo screen so I guess it's too big. (hoping to be able to change this through a bios update later)

2nd part is that when I found a matching disk, how will I restore bios on it? I have no restore cds left...and I suppose this computer stores a part of its bios on a hidden partition like all other compaqs.

The 384mb ram limit is fine with me since I am gonna run Linspire linux on it.

Anyone that can help? I tried Compaq support and got no help whatsoever.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-5900t.389119/
Relevancy 58.05%

Have a Compaq Presario 1020 - laptop. Info is as follows -
Series 2900A
Model FBV1433VQL1J
Serial V644HZD50299

Need a maintenance manual. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

A:Compaq Presario LAPTOP

Google Compaq for a contact number - ask them to send you a manual..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-laptop.338867/
Relevancy 58.05%

My Father in Law has a Compaq Presario 5900T. His Hard drive crashed and I put a new 160G drive in it. When I try to restore the computer with the original Compaq restoration CD's it keeps rebooting without ever formatting, partitioning or anything else.

Can someone help? My FIL is bound and determined to continue using this machine. I believe he is afraid of change.

A:Compaq Presario Restore?

you need the old hard drive

the quick restore disks that come with compaq computers only work with certainpartition and hard drive sizes
to get the 160 gb hard drive to work, you will have to reformat the old hard drive and install everything on it

then copy the drive c partition over to the 160gb hard drive then use a partition program to increase the drive c to 160 gb

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-restore.395072/
Relevancy 58.05%

Got a compaq presario 3060 US. Operating system XP Pro. ATI Radeon Graphics and Soundmax sound card. Plugged head phones into it and sound stopped working with or without headphones plugged in. Reloaded XP Pro Now no sound at all. JBL speakers. Any ideas or similar experiences?

A:Problems with Compaq Presario

If you've done a fresh install of Windows XP Professional you will need to also install the audio drivers.

They're available from the support section of Compaq's website. Head to the support area and enter your model details to be shown the correct drivers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-with-compaq-presario.168162/
Relevancy 58.05%

will not boot to windows- tried to reinstall xp will not boot to xp cd-continually goes back to screen saying last known config, boot normally or safe mode help please

Relevancy 58.05%

I have a compaq presario 7470 in my possession. It used to work, but not for some reason it refuses to. I just bought a power supply for it and it still doesnt work. I figured out that if u remove the J3 pin from pins 2 and 3 after pressing the power button it will turn on. The compaq screen comes up and it says '102-System Board Failure.' This seems bad...what should i do? is it a fried motherboard? if the board was fried would it even turn on?? Thanks!

A:Compaq Presario 7470

I don't think the motherboard is fried in which case it wouldn't boot, as you say. But it definitly is having some problems...

Has Compaq support service gotten back with you yet ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compaq-presario-7470.1485/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hey all,
Does anybody know if all of the motherboards in the Presario V6000 laptop series are the same size and shape?

More specifically, does anybody know if a V6000 motherboard would fit in a V6310 case?

If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-motherboard.979533/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello I have a Compaq Presario Notebook laptop with Windows Second Edition with a Gigabyte hard drive that was logically partitioned Compaq - Presario Help Need 1247 into drives C and D Earlier this year I used my CD Burner to copy all of the Quick Restore files from the D Drive to a blank CD-ROM CD-RW disk and then removed the partition from the hard drive with a program from the Compaq Website My CD-Burner is connected to my Compaq Presario 1247 - Need Help Notebook via a PCMCIA USB Card it has USB Ports on it one port is being used by my CD-Burner the other port is not being used Last Friday - - my Notebook caught a virus while I was on the internet and it was corrupted MS Windows Compaq Presario 1247 - Need Help Explorer error message came up when I tried to look at my hard drive The error message also came up when I rebooted therefore no desktop icons appeared So I reformatted the hard drive C and put the Quick Recovery CD-ROM Disk in the internal CD-ROM drive However the Quick Recovery Disk displayed a message that it could not find the Quick Restore files and to contact Compaq Customer Support I reformatted my hard drive again this time with the quick format switch and make system disk switch and then copied all the files and subdirectories from the Quick Recovery CD to my hard drive Now before I even tried to run FDISK to repartition my hard drive into logical drives I thought I would put the CD CD-RW containing all of the Quick Restore files and subdirectories that I burned earlier this year before I removed the partition However the internal CD-ROM drive is unable to read any of my CDs except for my Quick Recovery CD I took my backup of D drive CD Quick Restore files on CD-RW my Win SE CD CD-R and my Win CD CD-R to work and I was able to view their contents under Windows and DOS using a computer at work but I am not able to view them under DOS on my Notebook Is there a driver that will allow me to view other CDs with my internal CD-ROM Drive on my Notebook so that I can copy all of the files and subdirectories from my backup of Drive D CD Quick Restore files via the DOS XCOPY program Right now my only other option is to copy my Drive D backup CD to my parents computer via their CD-ROM drive and use the old DOS programs BACKUP EXE and RESTORE EXE to transfer the files from my parent s computer to my Notebook via floppy disks By the way I did contact Compaq but after I gave them my Notebook s serial number they said they could not send me a Quick Restore CD for Windows Second Edition because the license agreement has expired nor could they send me any version of a Quick Restore CD ME XP NT they had for Compaq Presario Notebooks I am posting this message using my computer at work in case you were wondering Thanks Node nbsp

A:Compaq Presario 1247 - Need Help

have you tried the ultimate boot CD:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

It containes many utilities that might help.

it is bootable so it should load

Steve L

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-1247-need-help.278984/
Relevancy 58.05%

I need help I have a Compaq Presario R4010US Laptop. The keyboard does not work for some reason, I plugged an external usb keyboard into it and it works fine. Could the ribbon cable that goes from the keybd to the motherbd be bad?

Fwilli2

A:Compaq presario R4010US

hi Fwilli2 welcome to TSF,

take the keyboard off and re-seat the ribbon cable. you might want to try uninstalling the keyboard from device manager and then restart computer see if it work before you take keyboard out.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/compaq-presario-r4010us-586881.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hey all,

I have this older Compaq Presario 7470 CPU, and I can't figure out how to open it. It doesn't have any buttons that pop open the chassis, or at least any that I can easily spot. I got a memory upgrade for it, and would like to put it in. Anyone know how to pop this thing open? Please email me or just reply here. Thanks!

Thanks,
Matt

Here's a link to their site with instructions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-7470.416709/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi, how do you restore to factory settings a (COMPAQ PRESARIO SRI617CL)?

A:(COMPAQ PRESARIO SRI617CL)

If this computer has a Recovery Partition, when you boot the computer on the logo screen you should see a message Press F2 for setup and Press X for Recovery (X being F11 or whatever key it says) If you don't get that message, then this computer does not have a Recovery Partition (if you can still boot the computer you can look in Disk Management to see if there is a drive called Recovery)
Other then that you will need the recovery discs you made when you got the computer. How to Run Compaq Recovery Disk | eHow.com

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/compaq-presario-sri617cl-625096.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Okay At work I have Compaq Presario PC s One is model SR NX and the headaches Presario Compaq other is S NX They re fairly old I have a Ubuntu server set up that acts as my DHCP TFTP Samba server for booting with PXE then installing the selected system and my custom application suite using only literally minutes of my time to Compaq Presario headaches type in such details as the CD Key Computer Name etc So anyway back to my Presario problems Both computer conveniently do not have a Network Boot Compaq Presario headaches ROM for example nVidia Boot Agent So if I try to boot from network Ill get a quot Disc Failure quot The S NX will not boot with a USB drive plugged-in period It will get stuck on the red quot Compaq quot screen If I unplug the device it boots into BIOS OS perfectly fine If Im in the BIOS and I plug the device in the BIOS turns non-responsive when I remove it it starts responding again Weird Here the nd chat session I ve had with HP Professional Support or whatever it s called All I have to say is I knew more about computers when I was then these guys do Print active chat Tuesday September PM -- Automatically generated message A support specialist will be with you shortly Tuesday September PM -- Automatically generated message You are now chatting with support specialist Priya K Tuesday September PM -- Priya K says Welcome to HP Total Care for Desktops My name is Priya Please give me a few moments while I review your problem description details NOTE For security reasons PLEASE DO NOT send credit card information via chat Tuesday September PM -- Priya K says Hi Jan how are you doing today Tuesday September PM -- Jan Krojcer says Fine Tuesday September PM -- Priya K says Could you please elaborate more on the issue Tuesday September PM -- Jan Krojcer says Could you tell me why my computer won t boot up or even enter the BIOS with the USB drive plugged in The second I unplug the drive it boots into BIOS OS perfectly fine When Im in the BIOS and I plug it back in the BIOS becomes unresponsive when I remove it the BIOS starts functioning again Tuesday September PM -- Priya K says When the system boot it boots from the hard drive If any other USB devices are connected to the system it may not start It is a common issue Tuesday September PM -- Jan Krojcer says So are you telling me I cannot boot the system from a USB Drive Tuesday September PM -- Priya K says If you want to make USB as a bootable device you need to change the boot device priority in BIOS Then connect the USB device and boot the system Are you trying to install anything Tuesday September PM -- Jan Krojcer says Tuesday September PM -- Jan Krojcer says Would you mind telling me how to change the boot device priority to the USB Drive WITHOUT it being plugged in Tuesday September PM -- Priya K says Yes sure Tuesday September PM -- Priya K says Jan in BIOS click on boot tab Click on quot Boot Device Priority quot Select quot USB quot But this option is not available for desktop PC This will available only in Laptops In Desktops you can only boot from hard drive floppy drive or CD Tuesday September PM -- Jan Krojcer says You have no idea what you re talking about Tuesday September PM -- Priya K says Jan in desktop PC it is not possible to boot the system from USB device Tuesday September PM -- Priya K says If you could tell me what exactly you are trying to do I can give find some alternate solution to it Tuesday September PM -- Jan Krojcer says Who told you it s not possible to boot a desktop off of a USB drive Tuesday September PM -- Jan Krojcer says Because I just did The computer I just booted off of a USB drive is the Presario SR NX Tuesday September PM -- Priya K says May I know the model number of your PC Tuesday September PM -- Jan Krojcer says Prod DW A-ABA Tuesday September PM -- Jan Krojcer says Serial MXK MN Tuesday September PM -- Jan Krojcer says That is not the computer I am having the issue with though Tuesday September PM -- Priya K says May ... Read more

A:Compaq Presario headaches

Whoa! You're using this dinosaur? o_o

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compaq-presario-headaches.153009/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hey fellas, Im currently trying to install XP on this box. Problem being, is im having a hard time getting the drivers for the mobo and such. I dont have the cd's and such for them either. The os in on there just fine and the network card and such work dandy, but i cant seem to get the USB ports enabled. I checked in the bios and i cant locate anything and im starting to worry.

Anyone got any help for me!

A:Compaq Presario 5600S

More specifically im looking for VIA vt82C598AT chipset drivers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-5600s.380130/
Relevancy 58.05%

Its a presario 5000, i ran the belarc advisor tool to see what kind of memory i have, it said i have PC133, so i ordered some more, well, for the heck of it, i removed the memory in it to clean the board and the sticker on the factory memory says PC100!! so will PC133 memory still work with this thing even though it has PC100 in it now?
thanks!

Relevancy 58.05%

Hello. A buddy of mine has an old Compaq Presario 7470 that he is putting a new mobo in. Apparently, the old case has color-coded front panel wires. He has separated the wires and now he does not know which ones go where (in terms of going to reset button, power button, Etc). We have looked everywhere on the net for some sort of schematic for the Compaq case to figure out the color-coded wires. However, not even Compaq site has any info. Also, to note, the wires apparently terminate on some sort of small printed board before going to the lights and buttons. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate your help.

Thank you,
LS

The front panel wireing is one problem with trying to put a non Compaq board in a Compaq case . . the power supply may be another . . a lot of the OEM's use a proprietary Power supply with non standard connectors.

You might be able to Google Compaq Front Panel connectors to see if someone has worked it out ( i know of one guy who did for Dell )

He will almost certainly be better off buying a new case for the new board, and using whatever hardware he can with the new system.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-7470.344047/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a compaq presario c300 notbook. It will not boot. I get the compaq screen, then nothing. It will not boot to the cd either. The backlight comes on, so it's not that. Please help. I'm lost.

A:compaq presario c300

Welcome to TSF....

To get it to boot from the cd you have to change the boot order in BIOS. This can be done during boot up when you can open the BIOS and set it.

The cd you used is it the recovery cd for the computer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/compaq-presario-c300-291615.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi

After unsucessfully trying to get rid of some nasty Malware (Antivirus XP Pro 2009 to be precise) I'm currently trying to perform a factory reset on my Compaq Presario SR1909uk which had Windows XP.

I'm performing this from the recovery discs I created when I bought the PC.
However, I keep getting various error messages saying either

'Cannot copy file C:\1386\APPS\APPS15417\src\VIRUSCAN7.DAT or

C:\1386\APPS\APPS15417\src\Setup\asCore\Antispam\btevclid.dll\MANIFEST\asnmobj.spm

I keep aborting when I get these messages and the progress perecetage remains. If I do this until I reach 100% do you think it will work?

Other than buying some new recovey discs from Compaq or taking it to be fixed, are there any alternatives please?

Thanks

A:Compaq Presario SR1909uk with XP

Try cleaning your Recovery disc.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/compaq-presario-sr1909uk-with-xp-344149.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I have had this PC since 2001 and it seems to be in good working condition. It originally came with Windows ME and two years ago, I upgraded the OS to Windows XP. I need help to clean the computer and start over as new. How can I do this?

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/resetting-a-compaq-presario-287018.html
Relevancy 58.05%

i Presario 700 and Compaq battery have a question a while ago my Presario battery died -- it wouldn t charge or discharge the laptop could only work on the AC but the indicator showed the correct of the charge I bought a new battery and it worked fine for a week but I decided to reinstall Windows XP and from then on it s been a rollercoaster ride for me First it worked Compaq Presario 700 and battery fine but the laptop Compaq Presario 700 and battery started to freeze every minutes I followed the COmpaq s people advice and updated BIOS for some battery controller thing and updated the video driver From then on the problems with my new battery just started to overwhelm me First the battery wouldn t charge when the laptop was ON Then somehow it did charge I decided to calibrate it and now it doesnt want to charge -- on or off The red light indicating the battery is flashing -- as it s not charging and the indicator says quot quot of course Does anyone have any ideas Please This only started after I reinstalled the Windows so I am sure it s not hardware or the battery everything worked just fine Please help me Thanks I m desperate nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

I have this old SR1103WM presario compaq Compaq and I used to be able to burn CD's until the day I stuck in my little portable device one would use to store pictures and things I forget what its called but you can insert it into a USB port then add or remove pics or anything and remove it and put it back around your neck and go Anyway after doing this one day I go to burn a Cd and my computer is telling me I have these new drives called E F G amp H which it has now bundled into something compaq presario SR1103WM called a USB mass storage device it no longer recognizes that i have a working burner it does not even recognize that I have compaq presario SR1103WM a drive D All it is reading is those removable device drives that came along with my junk drive The 'Safely Remove Hardware quot option has been coming up and ive used it to disable these other drives but its still not working How can I fix this

A:compaq presario SR1103WM

Right-Click on My Computer, select Manage. In the left pane there should be a listing for Disk Management - click that.

Now, in the right pane, scroll down and see if your CD is listed, but has no drive letter. If so, right click on the grey part and choose "assign letter". I would use Z: (no chance of a USB device trying to grab that letter).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/compaq-presario-sr1103wm-204220.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi gang!
well it been awhile since i been here but at least i remembered where to go ..

Anyway here is my problem that I am stumped with ....

Reformated a compaq presario 2.1 gig/128ram/40gighd/ with onboard video and sound.
Everything is up and running fine except i cant seem to get the sound to work, says that it is installed and working properly but still doesnt work.
Installed different speakers ..no joy....went to compaq downloaded new software drivers and installed...no joy. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

A:compaq presario no sound

I almost hate to ask if the volume control is set to mute so we'll pass on that one.

If there's a headset socket on the front of one of the CD's, can you hear anything through that?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-no-sound.316008/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello Everyone,

I am running Windows XP Pro on a HP Compaq Presario S3190UK desktop and since this evening I haven't been able to even get to the Windows Splash screen.

When I boot I am given the options of Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normally and Recovery Mode (which doesn't respond). Whichever option I select it stalls and will not boot the files and when I boot in safe mode it stalls after about seven seconds.

I have the Operating CD which I have tried to boot from but upon boot up I get the message "Please insert the Restore Plus! CD" . I don't have this.

Is there any chance of me retrieving my data?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Relevancy 58.05%

Is this computer any good if used for a bit of gaming internet work CAD software It is Cdn and include monitor printer and speakers Also is it true that this computer with not come with discs of the software included all the software is on the HD SR1220NX Presario Compaq Processor Intel Celeron D Processor Compaq Presario SR1220NX Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Memory MB PC DDR SDRAM memory expandable to GB Hard Drive GB rpm Ultra DMA hard drive Multimedia Drive CD-RW x x x DVD-ROM DVD-ROM drive x max speed with InterVideo WinDVD SE software Video Graphics Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics with up to MB shared video memory Network Card Integrated Base-T network interface Sound Integrated audio Fax Modem High-speed K modem Included Peripherals Compaq keyboard Compaq scroller mouse Software Digital entertainment Apple iTunes for Windows Digital music jukebox for importing music organizing your collection and more InterVideo WinDVD SE player Play DVD movies Sonic RecordNow Burn music CDs and archive your data to CDs RealPlayer Find play and organize digital programming - music sports entertainment news and more more Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition WildTangent GameChannel Preview computer games Productivity software Microsoft Works Includes a word processor spreadsheet database and calendar Microsoft Office Trial Get a -day trial version of Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition Norton Antivirus Protect your PC includes days of complimentary live updates Norton Personal Firewall Includes days of live updates Microsoft Money Standard Manage your personal finances and investments Quicken New User Edition Track your home finances and Compaq Presario SR1220NX investments MSN Encarta Plus Access a complete encyclopedia maps center dictionary and thesaurus year trial subscription included Adobe Reader Read and print PDF files InterMute Web Protection Suite Includes SpamSubtract PopSubtract and SpySubtract Internet Connectivity Internet Solutions Up to months service included Internet Solutions The following offers up to months service included are available at www hp ca internetoffers AOL Dial-up Aliant High Speed Internet Bell Sympatico High Speed Internet Eastlink High Speed Internet Access quot Netscape Online Accelerated Internet Service Rogers High Speed Internet Shaw High-speed or Lite-speed Cable Internet Access Service amp Support Limited Warranty One year parts and labour coverage One year technical telephone support Service Options Hardware Enjoy HP s year limited warranty with year hardware and year technical support coverage available online or toll-free by phone Software days replacement of defective application media year technical phone assistance Customer Replaceable Parts Return to HP for repair - Authorized Service Provider For information visit www hp com support Support Desktop icon provides one click access to built-in desktop Help and Support Center Easy online access to questions answers and troubleshooting information via www hp com support Direct knowledgeable assistance available toll-free by phone nbsp

A:Compaq Presario SR1220NX

I got mine on Oct 26,2004. So far i am very pleased with it. Not into gaming so I can't answer that question. I got $300 US rebates off the price.which brought the cost down .
Yes the software comes on the HD. There is a 'System Recovery " disk that comes with it but I'm not sure exactlly what that has on it..It does restore the orginal files that were on the computer when it came from the factory so it seems that should be all that is necessary to keep the computer running incase of problems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-sr1220nx.312071/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi Everyone, I am new to this site and really need your help. I have a compaq presario desktop sr1725an and I need to run a complete recovery on the system. I have tried everything the hp site tells me, but so far nothing works. I really need recovery discs for this computer, it currently has xp loaded. Does anyone know where I can download recovery disks for this computer, I want to restore it to its factory settings.

Please, any help would be great.

Thanks!

Relevancy 58.05%

All of a sudden, my Compaq Presario, Windows XP, won't boot up past the black "COMPAQ" screen. None of the keyboard keys respond (we've tried three different keyboards). All the lights light up when we first turn on the computer, but then it just stops at the black screen with boot options, but none of the keys on the keyboard will do anything. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

A:Booting Up Compaq Presario

Have you tried booting into "Safe Mode" to see if its a software/driver issue?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/booting-up-compaq-presario-186368.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello;

I have had a Compaq Presario 1500 laptop for about 2 years now, and I am quite un-satisfied when it comes to multi-tasking several applications at the same time. Sometimes it is so slow that I cannot minimize a full-screen application to read up on something on the net. I currently only have 256 megs of ram, but I read on the internet that tihs model could have up to 1 gigabyte. This is great, but therein lies my question. The laptop has two ram slots, one of which has been empty since i got the computer. Could I get a gig of ram and still keep the 256y meg stick as an added boost? or is the 1 gig the maximum for both slots?

A:Compaq Presario RAM upgrade

Well if your laptop supports a maximum of 1gb then that means 512mb per RAM slot.
Here are a few links on Newegg which is the Maximum Memory you could get for your Laptop. This is if you are in USA
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145482
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134037
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820172102

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compaq-presario-ram-upgrade.108799/
Relevancy 58.05%

i just did a fresh install on this compaq laptop w/ win2k pro and i lost several of the add on thingys that compaq added to the laptop.

ie. the volume and scroll options on the keyboard. i went to the compaq site and haven't found the documentation on what the name of the programs or drivers are called for these 2 options.

any help would be nice.
thanks

A:Compaq presario 1694 w/ 2k pro

You should have gotten a Restore CD with your laptop. That is the OS and all specific drivers, apps and Compaq features that were on the system. Anytime you install a "fresh" OS, you will lose all that stuff. With Compaq, I think this is not all bad. If you bought the laptop with something other that Win2K, then you are most likely SOL and on your own.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-1694-w-2k-pro.41555/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello,
I have recently upgrade my OS from Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate by clean install method.
I think so far everything works except microphone which I solved by installing updates from windows update.
So my question is, Should I install some drivers or some updates from either compaq or hp sites or wherever also? Should I try to find drivers specefic for my computer or go with the drivers which came with windows 7?
My computer model is: Compaq Presario CQ61

Thank you very much!!!

A:Compaq Presario cq61

Quote: Originally Posted by jav

Hello,
I have recently upgrade my OS from Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate by clean install method.
I think so far everything works except microphone which I solved by installing updates from windows update.
So my question is, Should I install some drivers or some updates from either compaq or hp sites or wherever also? Should I try to find drivers specefic for my computer or go with the drivers which came with windows 7?
My computer model is: Compaq Presario CQ61

Thank you very much!!!

If HP/Compaq have the drivers for your PC, then yes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/37767-compaq-presario-cq61.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I have kali linux live on usb and wanna load it i used windowsimager32 to make it work on my ither laptop but jt wont work on this one

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Can-compaq-presario-cq62-from-usb/td-p/5833345
Relevancy 58.05%

hi guys!I have a problem with my laptop unit..I download the ATI mobility radeon hd 5430 and i install it but there is a message in the end of installation appear that INSTALLATION COMPLETE(WARNING OCCURRED DURING INSTALLATION) and when i press the view log it always like this:

Existing packagesATI Catalyst Install Manager
The Lord of the Rings FREE Trial
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable
Communication Opt-in

Packages for install
ATI Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 3.0.790.0
Size: 20 Mbytes

Other detected devices

Error messages

I dont know what to do..please help me..

A:Compaq Presario cq-42-160tu

Make sure you have all the Windows .NET Framework Updates installed before you update the ATI catalyst driver

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compaq-presario-cq-42-160tu.154672/
Relevancy 58.05%

Just throwing this out in case someone can help I have a Compaq Presario and when the hard drive crashed I got a new hard drive off ebay same model the pc came with When I try to use the compaq restore disk i get an error that pretty much says restore can t be run on that machine I realize that these restore disks are somehow keyed to the machine so you can t use them on another machine but all the hardware is the same except for a little more memory Only thing I can think of is a bios update that I applied Did that alter the quot signature quot of the PC If so would it work if I backed of the bios update At this point the pc is just a toy i m using it to learn more about hardware etc I was able to install windows and just used my license key that came with the computer so thats not an issue But it bugs me that I can t get this restore to work I restore Compaq presario did also notice that PC does Compaq presario restore not have an asset tag - wondering if the bios update zapped that Other notes - there was no extra partition that I know of on the orig hard drive and there is only one restore CD no diskette I was able to do a restore of the pc several years ago so I Compaq presario restore am pretty sure the disk is not defective Any help or thoughts would be appreciated nbsp

A:Compaq presario restore

a different hard drive than the one the pc came with shouldn't alter the restore process.
What error is it giving you?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compaq-presario-restore.52965/
Relevancy 58.05%

my mother bought a compaq presario 5304 from a family member.when she got it,there was no system recovery disk for it.there was a disk that was for the 700's series.her computer will not detect the right drive because they used the wrong recovery disk for it.how do we get the computer to recognize and install its original drive.it was 56k.i am pretty much computer illiterate.john
[email protected]

A:compaq presario 5304

hmm system recovery. I'm not too big on using that. My overall suggestion would be go into dos at the startup and do a simpe C:/ format or is it the other way doh... Anyways at startup of windows press oh F8 I believe for systems with win 98 or higher but if you got win95 its either f5 or f8 or you can make a boot disk and do it that way.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-5304.363134/
Relevancy 58.05%

i have recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled xp home, i have found all the necessary drivers etc but unable to use my mouse, on the device manager a yellow icon appears stating unknown device, iv searched everywhere for drivers etc but all came blank, i went to the compaq site and downloaded the mouse/keyboard driver from there but then got an error stating unable to find version of runtime to run this application '' iv downloaded the most recent .NET framework and still nothing, iv searched for more help but unable to find any results, anyone got any pointers if im doing something wrong ?

A:compaq presario S5600UK

What is the make and model # of your mouse?
In Device Manager, right click the Unknown Device and Uninstall it. Now remove the USB cable for the mouse from the computer end. And restart the computer. When the computer comes back up, plug in the mouse into the Back USB port of the computer and not the front or through a hub as these ports are weaker. It should install. if not, go to the mouse manufacturers support download drivers site and type in your model # and download the driver.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/compaq-presario-s5600uk-644726.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Not sure if anyone can help here but worth a try I brought a new compaq presario desktop pc just before xmas I got sick of all thier crap on it so I Need Of Restore Presario With Help Compaq re-installed with another copy of windows xp prof sp Now I am having problems and want to go back to the original installation on the compaq Didn t do any restore disks as no-one explained this to me then The install partition is still on the compaq but when I load up comp and try to press F to do it it doesn t work just keeps loading into windows I can not figure out how to get the reinstall to start and am Need Help With Restore Of Compaq Presario not sure how to do it manually My brother has tried to manually start it in windows but it doesn t like this Have tried changing the boot drive using the Esc and F keys as per start up options but it has the drive as grouped and can not specify H drive where compaq restore is Any suggestions welcomed before I have to find more money to buy disk My brother has suggested that maybe we can delete the c drive partition therefore forcing the h drive to run but want to leave this as a last result Need Help With Restore Of Compaq Presario in case it doesn t work Thanks to anyone who reads this Ange

A:Need Help With Restore Of Compaq Presario

Ok Frad, if you want to restore the system to the way it was when you purchased it, the best way is to place the restore cd in your drive and restart. when the option comes up press what ever key you ned to to enter setup. scroll through the setup untill you can change the boot options. place the cd drive as your 1st boot option. when you have done that, save and exit setup. when the system reboots, you will be given the option to restore. READ THE WARNINGS CAREFULLY, THIS WILL FORMAT THE HARDRIVE AND ERASE ALL THE DATA THAT YOU HAVE. I recomend that you burn a copy of all your important files prior to doing this and good luck.

Printboy67

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/51756/need-help-with-restore-of-compaq-presario/
Relevancy 58.05%

My Presario reads press esp key for start up menu.  It reads Intel UNDI. PXE-2.1(build082)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Compaq-Laptop-Presario-CQ/td-p/5843651
Relevancy 58.05%

Wont turn on at all no lights no nothing any ideas?
Thanks
Perry

A:Compaq presario c300

Compaq Presario C300 General Troubleshooting guide:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00372748&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=3213867&rule=2144&lang=

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/402462/compaq-presario-c300/
Relevancy 58.05%

ok the dilemma is simple ok i bought this new laptop for the wife then it came with a built in webcam truth is i don't want that webcam so i bought another webcam that i am trying to use on msn but the laptop states found new hardware but doesn't install my webcam is usb ported it says m style on the cam the only thing it uses my wife states that she can access the cam thru the control panel but not in msn why is this occuring if someone could get to me asap would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

A:Ok new laptop compaq presario

You may need to disable the original webcam

You can disable it by going to: Device Manager (Start->Run-> Devmgmt.msc)

Then locating your Webcam (that you don't want to use) and then right click on it and select disable

Then go back to MSN and use the settings to set up the new webcam

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ok-new-laptop-compaq-presario.114193/
Relevancy 58.05%

Right heres a very specific enquiry I have a Compaq Presario SR UK Im looking to upgrade the graphics to a BFG GTS OC MB or the mb First question is can my processor handle it Intel Pentium D I know i have to upgrade the ram so im purchasing GB of DDR RAM for about and im replacing the PSU probably with an OCZ Stealth W PSU Do that sound viable Ive only got bit windows so i know im loosing out on some ram but its a package deal lol I have tried reading into all the requirements for these upgrades such as power connectors from PSU to graphics card and motherboard and think i got a bit lost The BFG requires v of something which the OCZ provides along with more than enough power w required for BFG plus both the motherboard and the PSU are PCI express compatible And i have an extra slot to accommodate the doubledecked size of the BFG In terms of the Compaq Presario Upgrading my required power connectors i Upgrading my Compaq Presario was a bit lost The OCZ said it has a PCI express pin which is what the BFG requires but Upgrading my Compaq Presario can somebody shed some light on this But im really just concerned that it was going to fit and work These purchases come to around about so dont want to be thinking for another squid i could have just bought a XBox lol Basically Im asking advise on the above upgrade decisions and any tips anyone has on installing these Any help would be appreciated im sick of only being able to run pre- games on a pc bought in I was pretty suckered in when i bought it pc world claiming it had mb graphics only to find it meant dedicated and on a guff card aswell oh such a foolish lad in my youth nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

hi everyone my best freind has a compaq presario sr2170nx and ever scince they've had it it would mak a loud noise for hours "like it was dieing and gasping for air" and then it became really slow and would freeze, but now it's to the point it just shuts off. now i think the fan went and the computer just keeps over heating but im haveing and extremy hard time finding the fan that gos to this computer. can anyone help and if u think it's something else pease let me know thank you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-fan-gos-into-a-compaq-presario-sr2170nx.725426/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hope i am not in the wrong place ... so here gos

My Compaq Presario 2100 laptop got knocked off the table and broke the screen ,, its a 15 inch from corner to corner ,, will any other compaq models work on this Compaq Presario 2100?

Thanks in advance

A:Compaq Presario 2100

Maybe, maybe not. You'll need to check the SPECIFIC laptop replacement screen you're considering and see if it's a match.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-2100.710726/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi this is my first post so bare with me.

I have a compaq presario 2580us laptop first of all with a pentium 4 in it.

My question is this. My laptop has 3 fans in it and they all used to come on in the past. Only one(the biggest) has been working not sure how long it has just been the one either. My temps get up to around 127F. I am just just wondering if there is a way to check out why the other 2 fans are not working. If there is some setting that I could check that would be great. Any assistance would be so nice.

Thank you,

Jackie

A:Compaq Presario Fans

I did this on a machine at work 2 weeks ago. Check hp.com, do the auto detect thing, and update the bios. should solve the problem.

hope it helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compaq-presario-fans.106704/
Relevancy 58.05%

got a mates comp to try to fix(presario sr1055cl)
when it starts up it defaults to a start windows normally black screen with three commands above like start in safe mode etc

if left it keeps rebooting to this page
if i press enter it goes to compaq sign and looks like it gonna work but then goes back to same screen

i can get into the bios and can do a system recovery but it just puts me to a plain light blue screen and nothing happens

please help

Relevancy 58.05%

I have a Compaq Presario 2700T with problems. When I press the start switch it runs for about five seconds and then shuts off. It doesn't even run long enough to give me any screen image. It does this on every attempt to start the computer now. Prior to that it flashed a blue screen on a previous start attempt but not long enough to read what it said.
Any ideas what is going on?

A:Compaq Presario 2700T

Does this happen when the power connector is attached?

Are there any lights on when the power connector is attached? For example, does the battery charge?

Do not be rough with the cable, but the power plug that connects to the laptop, does it make any difference if you gently bend the cable around or move the connector in the socket? (Occasionally over time either the cable becomes damaged or the socket becomes loose)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-2700t.887365/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a Compaq Presario 2700T with problems. When I press the start switch it runs for about five seconds and then shuts off. It doesn't even run long enough to give me any screen image. It does this on every attempt to start the computer now. Prior to that it flashed a blue screen on a previous start attempt but not long enough to read what it said.
Any ideas what is going on?

A:Compaq Presario 2700T

I took the keypad off and found the heatsink and fan loose from the motherboard. The four soldered nuts that the heatsink and fan mounting plate screw onto are broken off from the motherboard. I am not sure if this is what is causing the problem but it's not good. I tried to start the computer while holding pressure on the loose mounting plate but it did not make any difference.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-2700t.858509/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a compaq Presario and I want to format the hard drive. This unit has a c:PRESARIO with 68.56 GB 16.7 used and 51.7 free File system NTFS and d: Presario_RP 5.98 GB, 4.49 Used, 1.49 Free, File System FAT32
Is there anything I need to know befor I do this?
I can not find the org. disc that came with the computer, but i have my xp disc from my lap top will that be ok and or do i need that
I ran the malware and found 16 viruses. A lot to do with tool bar locations or something.
The system is still running extreamly slow takes forever for the "MY COMPUTER" screen to load.
I did find that it runs like new in safe mode if that helps.
Please help
Paula

A:Compaq Presario very slow

I have a compaq Presario and I want to format the hard drive. This unit has a c:PRESARIO with 68.56 GB 16.7 used and 51.7 free File system NTFS and d: Presario_RP 5.98 GB, 4.49 Used, 1.49 Free, File System FAT32Is there anything I need to know befor I do this? I can not find the org. disc that came with the computer, but i have my xp disc from my lap top will that be ok and or do i need thatI ran the malware and found 16 viruses. A lot to do with tool bar locations or something. The system is still running extreamly slow takes forever for the "MY COMPUTER" screen to load.I did find that it runs like new in safe mode if that helps.Please help PaulaIf you have all of your pic`s, music and anything else of importance backed-up then you are all set.You probably did not get any discs with the computer. The D: drive is a "restore partition" = RP. This is an exact image of your computer when you first bought it. To use it: When you first start the computer there will be a black screen with probably three different choices of keys to press. One of them will be something like system restore or restore. Hope you get the idea. Select the proper key and follow the onscreen prompts.One other option may be to go to the HP\Compaq (HP bought Compaq) site or call them. You may be able to get the discs for a small fee.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/254449/compaq-presario-very-slow/
Relevancy 58.05%

I just bought and set up a new computer system, and am now trying to get my old one to boot, so that I can migrate the files needed for the new system. The monitor doesn't come on, and all I'm getting is a fast blinking green light on the tower. I've un/replugged all cables and power cords, and I know the monitor is OK because it belongs to my husband's matching computer, but my old one won't boot.

Help!!!

A:Compaq Presario won't boot!

I'm desperate, guys! Is there any other information I can give you to help resolve my problem? I have the Easy Transfer Cable for Vista all ready to go (and the software loaded in the old computer before I disconnected it and moved it to the card table), but I can't get my Compaq to boot.

If you can't help me, I guess I'll take it to Best Buy tomorrow and let the Geek Squad have at it...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-wont-boot.818056/
Relevancy 58.05%

Recently took some hits on my Compaq Presario 7478 system. Got two or three nasties via the 'Net. After McAfee's virus scan and removal, began experiencing weird happenings, such as system closing down and restarting. Then just not starting. Tried a few remedies [probably inadvisedly], and finally the system seemed to hang on my restore at the same place repeatedly.
Ultimately the system could no longer establish my OS. Restore failed.
Bottom line: Could not invoke computer restore. Could do nothing with this computer.
Q... Being compaq is the BIOS set to a certain condition that would prevent my reformatting the hard drive and restablishing an OS? Is this an option I can override? If I were to piggy-back the existing hard drive onto an operating hard-drive and reformat would that solve this problem and permit me to then create or repair the hard drive subsequently to get my compaq back?
Sorry this is so wordy...

A:Compaq Presario dead

Have you tried disabling System Restore; then re-enable for a fresh start?

Failing that, format and install OS per instructions in your manual or the CD which came with your computer. If no CD, the OS should be installed in .cab files in Windows Explorer.

The BIOS should already be properly set

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-dead.174311/
Relevancy 58.05%

We have an old 2001 compaq 5020 computer. The last screen you see when you shut it down is , it is now safe to turn off your computer and then you have to shut it down manually. How can we change this to turn off automatically. We are running Windows XP.
Thanks
Bilmac

A:Compaq Presario 5020

Hello bilmac1. Probably, when Windows was installed, it failed to recongize the BIOS as ACPI compatible. Or simply, APM is not enabled: check under "Power Options Properties" if the tab "APM" exists; if so, check the option "Enable Advanced Power Management Support" (if it's checked, uncheck it, weird as it sounds).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/63551/compaq-presario-5020/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a problem with my laptop screen. The screen is dark, however, the data is still there. Can't turn lamp on, or change anything, but can hook up to a monitor and it works. Can I fix the screen to work again? If I hit the button that turns the screen off and closes the computer down, the picture pops up for a few seconds and it is slightly red.

A:Compaq presario R3000

Its most likely that the backlight has failed. It can be fixes but it costs a upwards of $100 to do by a professional. You could try buying the parts online and doing it yourself though if you are technically inclined.

Here's how: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/12/09/replace-laptop-backlight-ccfl-lamp/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-r3000.829256/
Relevancy 58.05%

hi,

i have one compaq c500,it's some keys are not working.i have to open it,i tried to open but can't , any one can help me.

A:compaq presario C500

Hiya and welcome to Tech Support Guy

I've removed your email address, as we reply to the forum, and putting it up may give you spam.

Can you explain a bit more on what you're trying to do? You say open it, do you mean log on?

Regards

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-c500.836791/
Relevancy 58.05%

My laptop wants an administrator password that I don't know. Shows a system disabled code of 91550023. What do I do?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Compaq-Presario-CQ57/td-p/5680610
Relevancy 58.05%

A friend has a Presario X It has a small problem The power button only works once in a while perhaps in presses I thought perhaps it was a cold solder joint but even after touching up the button s pads its still has the problem It could be Presario X1300 Compaq a bad switch it looked like the switch had previously been replaced although he Compaq Presario X1300 hasn t had it serviced except to put in a new Compaq Presario X1300 hard drive about a month before the switch went bad I found a post that indicated that someone found schematics for the motherboard and I was hoping that someone here would be able to point me in the right direction I didn t find them on Compaq Presario X1300 google I m going to replace the switch first but if that doesn t work I have to assume there s some other problem that will need debugged I hate to see such a nice laptop go to waste because of a stupid power on problem I have found the service manual online Its great but has no schematics Thanks for any ideas you can offer Raydude nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-x1300.794850/
Relevancy 58.05%

hello my laptop started melting charger tips from my sister used an universal charger since it wuz hers then. I checked the universal charger specs and it was not compatible with computer.The charger for my laptop is working perfectly bt when ever charging the tip gets extremely hot untill it starts to melt. I have recently changed the charging port on the motherboard but the laptop is still heating the charger tip. The system is compaq presario v2000 currently running on xp pro. i dnt want to purchase a new motherboard any suggestions on what needs to be changed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-v2000.849171/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have an older compaq presario 5000 (5wv260), i want to upgrade the memory in it. I know it takes sdram, 168 pin, but i dont know if i need parity or non-parity. OR ecc or non-ecc... anyone know what this computer takes?
thanks

Relevancy 58.05%

I have an old compa presario 1277 who supposedly had something called a monkey virus on it. This virus supposedly wipped out all the drivers. Someone reistalled them. However, my husband insist the monitor display does not look like it did and that it use to play movies. Do you have any suggestions?

A:Compaq Presario 1277

Is it this Presario 1277 notebook: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=95012& ?

If so try reinstalling the Trident Display Driver from the available downloads.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-1277.776913/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a Compaq Presario running xp professional with a phone jack for internet connection(no Ethernet port). I would like to connect it to my att frontier modem that uses cat 5. I bought a j5 jue130 gigabit Ethernet adapter(that has a j45 to usb).I would like to know if this computer is capable of connecting to my service and if so how do I configure my computer. I loaded the correct driver for the adapter but can't get connection.
thanks

A:compaq presario 1200

Hello grafenwohr
Have you looked at using the computer with a wireless connection from your modem ?

Check with your Internet Service Provider for setting it as wireless.. Who is your ISP ?

Any Good ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/606758/compaq-presario-1200/
Relevancy 58.05%

I ve searched this site I ve asked HP Compaq and I ve checked search engines but still don t have an answer so wondering replacement Presario Compaq HDD ?s if I can find it here I have a Compaq Presario with what I believe is a dead hard drive I want to replace it but not sure if it is necessary to copy the files from the drive Compaq Presario HDD replacement ?s first I don t think it s possible as the drive doesn t seem to work at all Can I replace it with a new upgraded hard drive and just run the original Windows QuickRestore discs or is there something more to it that I would need Here s what happens I switch the laptop on and it wants to start up but then before Windows is running the hard drive begins it s lovely scraping and clunking noises and I eventually get a black screen with plain text saying windows had to shut down and is beginning dump of physical memory Of course this all started after some fool maybe me maybe not dropped the laptop Every site I ve checked says I ll need to create a backup of all files before replacing the hard drive I didn t have anything on there that I need to save so am wondering if I can just run the QuickRestore and get back to business as usual nbsp

A:Compaq Presario HDD replacement ?s

Welcome to the TSG forum.
Which Compaq Laptop ???
http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Look...ery=Compaq+Presario+700&submit.x=9&submit.y=3

Have you backed up all your personal Data ??

Yes .. just put in a new HD .. and run the recovery CD/DVDs
This'll put it back to the way you bought it .. assuming no other problems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-hdd-replacement-s.651293/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello all My -year-old grandfather -- who lives on a little island off the Presario Issue Compaq coast of Maine -- has emailed me regarding a Compaq Presario Issue problem that he is having with his ten-year old computer If anyone out there would be kind enough to offer some Compaq Presario Issue advice on how to fix it it would Compaq Presario Issue be greatly appreciated There are no computer shops on the island but my grandfather has plenty of tools and has worked extensively with radios throughout his life so with some direction I have little doubt that he can make the repair This is an unconventional post to be sure and I don t really know anything about his computer but I think he has done a reasonable job describing the issue Hi Chris I have a severe computer trouble that I brought on myself First I will describe the computer and it s programs It is a Compaq Presario at least yrs old Along the front edge of the top it has three indicator lights at the left of center and three on the right The ones on the left are operating lights of which one shows when the charger is in and the left most one shows when the computer is started up by the button which is in front of the screen The one between these two shows the operating conditions I believe as it usually flickers in concert with whatever is going on The three on the right each has a quot locked padlock quot symbol For programs it has Windows Juno V Intel Create and Share and some other good things Everything has been working good I don t think the programs have any bearing on my present problem Now to the problem Nothing was running except the External PS Charger which was plugged in and on I know the battery is not the greatest but it has held charge ok overnight without losing the Clock memory Now to what I did foolishly---- I unplugged the Charger from back of the computer WITHOUT SHUTTING OFF THE POWER TO THE CHARGER My idea was to see if the computer would start up on the battery alone When I pulled the plug the two outer Padlock lights came on which I assume meant it was locking something I put the power plug back into the back of the computer and the two Lock Lights went off but I could not start the computer in the usual way by pressing the aforesaid button in front of the screen The only light that remains on and only when the charger is connected is the right one of the three lights at the left I assume something is locked but what and how to free it I wonder if you or anyone you know can give a clue as how to get it to start up again I agree it was a stupid act to unplug it with the power on It seemed fairly simple but now I can see it wasn t It is or was a nice little machine that Cousin Allan gave me I still have the old HP that your Mother brought a long time ago and also have the use of a larger Notebook of your Mother s in the corner of the Dining Room so am not computerless If you have any suggestion as how to get the Compaq quot Unlocked quot if locked if that is what it is I would appreciate knowing As I said the battery is very marginal but was holding a charge for perhaps - hrs Grumpy Gramp Thank you all in advance --Chris nbsp

A:Compaq Presario Issue

What a sweet letter from "Grumpy Gramp"! Has he tried to plug in to another outlet completely? I would take the battery out completely and try this.

fyi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_Presario_1200

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-issue.909463/
Relevancy 58.05%

I need to completely reformat my compaq presario but have no idea how to format it since it is using vista. help help me do it step by step. thank you.

reen

A:Compaq Presario Vista

1. turn on computer and tap on F11 repeatedly until the Compaq screen disappears
2. click Advanced Options
3. select system recovery (may say restore the computer to factory settings)
and click recover without backing up files, click next

It will do the rest on its own.

Do this with ONLY mouse, keyboard, monitor and power attached. If you added any parts inside other than ram you will need to remove them to ensure it works properly.

Thats all!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/compaq-presario-vista-399935.html
Relevancy 58.05%

My compaq was working fine until one day Compaq presario 1200XL111 it just went off during a user session Pushing the power button made it Compaq presario 1200XL111 try to start but when it began to load windows it quit again After serveral retries it finally started up again It ran OK for about Compaq presario 1200XL111 one week then just went off again This was during a user session user session meaning it was in use at the Compaq presario 1200XL111 time I tried to restart it but it would not restart Finally it tried to start then said press F then the video went out Nosthing shows up on the screen now When powered on you can hear the hard drive start up but that s about it The three year warantee lapsed about a year ago I was wondering whether or not this has something to do with the cmos battery Apparently several people I know who purchased a Compaq laptop have run into the same problem I have a friend who owns an IBM thinkpad which has done precisely the same thing Any suggestions Sincerely Frank nbsp

A:Compaq presario 1200XL111

It is possible for the cmos battery to cause similiar problems, but from what you are saying it looks like a processor problem. For the system to just shut off in the middle of being used and unable to start up again, shows the possibility that the processor has overheated and the machine has powered off, however because the machine is still too hot it wouldnt fully start up again.
To say that your video has then gone, could mean the processor is completely knackered, signs of life can still be seen from the machine but nothing will appear on the screen, in most cases the monitor will stay on standby even when the machine is powered on.

I suggest a new processor, with new heatsinc and fan.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-1200xl111.499377/
Relevancy 58.05%

I am upgrading a Compaq Presario 5000 model #5WB220 with a very low 15 GB hard drive for a friend. It currently has Windows ME and there is no Compaq Restore CD.

I have increased the memory to 320 by adding an additional 256 MB RAM.

I am wanting to totally replace the 15GB hard drive with an 80 GB hard drive and load Windows XP Home.

The problem I am finding out is that Compaq has propriertory info on a partition within the existing drive. From what I understand without the Restore CD, I can't put the new drive in.

I'm wondering if there are any other alternatives to doing this.

Can I install XP on the existing drive and then transfer all the data (to include the compaq proprietory info) to the new drive in a slave position?