Windows Support Forum

WD hard disk all operations very slow

Q: WD hard disk all operations very slow

Hi All,

I have WD 1 TB passport, and all its operations are very very slow.
I cant use it at all. I have all the important documents in it.
Please someone help me out here.

Regards,
Sanoop.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: WD hard disk all operations very slow

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: WD hard disk all operations very slow

The only thing I can really recommend is to defragment the external HDD using a program such as Defraggler.

If that doesnt help, you may have a virus on the HDD, in that case, I would recommend posting in the malware forums.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-hard-disk-all-operations-very-slow.201315/
Relevancy 73.53%

My laptop is running slow. everything in task manager i.e. ram usage, processor usage are fine. but the hard disk usage i think is very high. Please look for attached pic.

Is it problem with hardware or any software related?

plz help me. should i change my hard disk.

A:Very high disk usage keeps laptop slow in normal operations also.

Look at the Task Manager Resource Monitor to see if you can tell what Processes are causing high disk activity.
Resource Monitor is a button the the Task Manager / Performance tab.

Here's an example of the window I'm talking about:

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/328466-very-high-disk-usage-keeps-laptop-slow-normal-operations-also.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Greetings I have an Asus laptop running windows bit and this laptop came with hard drives each partitioned into two parts C amp D and E amp F I am transferring over GB of data from one drive C to the other F Get this the transfer rate is MB s right now Over hours left to copy the GB There are over items but that still does not justify the MB s I am open to any suggestions Hard transfer Extremely Disk Slow Laptop Disk Hard to but first a few points Yes I am sure they are two separate drives with those partitions Error checking showed zero errors on both drives This is the rd time I am trying a transfer Both drives are relatively empty especially the F C is my system disk The SMART data shows no read write errors or overheating I have disabled the virus protection and all real-time scanning Again I am very open to suggestions and checks Feel free to post your idea Thanks in advance

A:Laptop Hard Disk to Hard Disk transfer Extremely Slow

My experience with file transfers of the type you describe...is that the number of files doesn't matter...what matters is how large the files are.  Video files take much longer than text or document files.

Slow transfer rates between partitions/drives...can indicate a problem with either the partititon or the drive, IMO.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:  List last 10 Event Viewer log  List Installed Programs  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
 Click Go and paste the content into your next post.
 Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573201/laptop-hard-disk-to-hard-disk-transfer-extremely-slow/
Relevancy 59.77%

nbsp USB jpg nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads nbsp USB jpg nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads nbsp USB jpg nbsp (impossible) disk making on disk Problem 2.0 slow USB with external hard image nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloadsDear all I will enclose here my complaint which I send to motherboard maker Gigabyte regarding USB external hard disk problem Please read it and if anybody knows how to solve this thanks -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My computer has external hard drive connected to USB port s which is extremely slow Drive is Transcend StoreJet No drivers exist for it It works perfectly for other I O operations like copy paste delete etc When I try to make hard disk image with any program and store it on Transcend Store Jet Problem with slow (impossible) disk image making on USB 2.0 external hard disk speed starts with MB s but drops to nearly zero in few minutes You can see example on attached picture It is the same with any program Disk image would take more than one day to complete if it completes at all Actually I never managed to finish image with any disk Problem with slow (impossible) disk image making on USB 2.0 external hard disk imaging software I tried all usual software for that Paragon Aomei Acronis EaseusToDo Drive Problem with slow (impossible) disk image making on USB 2.0 external hard disk XML etc Are there any USB or other drivers which are responsible for this issue Can Gigabyte be serious regarding its costumers and provide them solution in order to use USB ports for most important thing backup In this case making disk image is totally impossible USB ports have speed f Mbit s theoretical This is far cry from situation here So USB ports on this Gigabyte configuration is totally useless for backup on external USB hard disk Clearly there is serious bug which can cause loss of data - worst outcome in computer use for your customers NOTE all disks internal HDD and external USB are checked multiple times and they do not have any errors Hard disk has GB only GB is occupied BIOS can see USB disks It is upgraded to version It is on Safe Default Setting Computer was in service few days ago and they did't diagnose any faulty component Please feel free to ask me for further questions if needed But this issue has to be solved URGENTLY PS I could not open the case of mu computer to see Serial No and Power Supply since it is under guarantee and that is prohibited Again please be URGENT ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A:Problem with slow (impossible) disk image making on USB 2.0 external hard disk

This could be any issue causing your problem , software , usb drive may have errors on it / or ?
Imaging your 150 Gig via Usb will take time { Mine are about 40-50 Gig } Operating System And Programs Only.

I personally partition my main Drive eg: c:\ and d:\ and so only the operating system is on C;\
Then use the D;\ to store your personal files. , this way your c:\ wont keep growing in size as you are storing everything there.
If you cant actually do anything with the computer because of warranties as you stated "just serviced" , ask them why you cant Image Drive.

Options:
1/ Try another hard drive to backup to.{ Usb will always be slower } than directly connected to Mobo.
2/ Use Mini Tool Partition Wizard [ Free } to create another partition - http://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/partition-windows-7-system.html
3/ Remove all Temp Files / Restore Points / etc with Ccleaner { Free ] - https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER
    this will reduce C:\ size to minimal size { defrag drive also }.
4/ Use any program to Image C:\ { I use Acronis }. to the D:\ Backup Folder.
5/ Then copy the image to any portable drive or external if need be.
6/ Use the D:\ for your personal files and folders as a backup also.

Sometimes you have to do things yourself - than rely on Service Centres and Costs.
If you run a Business then you claim all your costs incurred.

All this will take time but you will have backups and feel at ease.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/557254/problem-with-slow-impossible-disk-image-making-on-usb-20-external-hard-disk/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever seen the following "error" window pops up after a disk backup or defrag ? Does anyone know what it actually says, as it has been truncated/chopped ?

Any help greatly appreciated as none of my application vendors seems to know what it is. I am using vista business 64 sp2.

Screen shot of strange error window is attached.

Cheers,

Tony

[IMG]file:///D:/TechDoco/StorageCraft/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///D:/TechDoco/StorageCraft/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///D:/TechDoco/StorageCraft/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

A:Truncated error message window after disk operations

Type wercon.exe in your search bar and press enter. The windows error reporting window will open.

there you can find all error reporting. Find related error to that time and post the details here

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/243706-truncated-error-message-window-after-disk-operations.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hiya

The Microsoft® Operations Manager 2000 (MOM) Operations Guide includes guidance and recommended best practices for maintaining and running MOM in an existing IT infrastructure. The information in this guide is organized according to the Microsoft Operations Framework (MOF) process model.

System Requirements

Information applicable to:
- Windows servers running Microsoft Operations Manager.

Operating System - Windows 2000, Win XP

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=42872&area=search&ordinal=2

Regards

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-operations-manager-2000-operations-guide-sep-13.95637/
Relevancy 57.19%

I am experiencing weird delays on normal operations such as clicking the quot Show Desktop quot icon opening notepad or opening the built-in calculator These items will open but only after or seconds of the computer just kind of hanging I tried running the RootRepeal tool but it made my computer's memory consumption jump up well over GB until I ran out of virtual memory and basically had to restart Not sure what that is all about but I don't have the log for that tool DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Dave at on Sun Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C Operations are Certain Slow WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs svchost exe svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Certain Operations are Slow Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C WINDOWS System CTsvcCDA exe C Program Files Cisco Systems VPN Client cvpnd exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Juniper Networks Common Files dsNcService exe C WINDOWS System inetsrv inetinfo exe C Program Files Java jre Certain Operations are Slow bin jqs exe C Program Files McAfee SiteAdvisor McSACore exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C PROGRA MI MSSQL binn sqlservr exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS system PnkBstrA exe Certain Operations are Slow C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Yahoo SoftwareUpdate YahooAUService exe C Program Files Google Gmail Notifier gnotify exe C Program Files Creative SBLive Diagnostics diagent exe C Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exe C WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Program Files Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files Cisco Systems VPN Client vpngui exe C Program Files Cisco Systems VPN Client ipseclog exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office WINWORD EXE C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXE C Documents and Settings David K Land Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page about blank uSearch Bar hxxp ws appswebservice com index php tpid amp ttid uInternet Settings ProxyOverride local uURLSearchHooks McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar ebbbe -bad - b c- e a- abecae - c progra mcafee sitead mcieplg dll uURLSearchHooks Yahoo Toolbar ef bd -c fb- d - f- d f - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper d -c f - efb- b - eca - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - c program files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dll BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - f - d - - d f - c progra spybot SDHelper dll BHO C C A-E - b - D - CECB - No File BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - c - d -b f - bbc d a e - c program files microsoft office office GrooveShellExtensions dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper bb-d f - c-b eb-d daf d d - c program files java jre bin ssv dll BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper d - c - abf- ecc- c - c program files common files microsoft shared windows live WindowsLiveLogin dll BHO McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO b e -a b - a -b - cd e a ff - c progra mcafee sitead mcieplg dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dll BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class e e f - ce- c -bc -eabfe f c - c program files java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll BHO SingleInstance Class fdad da - a - fd - c - f ac - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn YTSingleInstance dll TB McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar ebbbe -bad - b c- e a- abecae - c progra mcafee sitead mcieplg dll TB Yahoo Toolbar ef bd -c fb- d - f- d f - c program files yahoo companion installs cpn yt dll TB CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - No File EB - a - b-a - c a a - No File uRun msnmsgr quot c program files windows live messenger msnmsgr exe quot background uRun Google... Read more

A:Certain Operations are Slow

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/275042/certain-operations-are-slow/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello young
I need a lesson on the operations of the hard drive from Windows 7
Lessons about this...

* Create a hard drive

* Delete hard drive

* Hard disk partition

* Change the hard drive letter

* Hide the hard drive

* Prevent access to the hard drive
Be possible, and thank ....

A:Operations on the hard drive from Windows 7..???

These are some of the excellent tutorials you will find on Seven Forums created by our esteemed members. They will help you in your Hard Disk customizations. Explore this forums tutorials for more rich information.

Partition the Hard Drive in a Windows 7 Install

How to Create a New Partition or Volume in Windows 7

How to Delete a Partition or Volume in Windows 7

How to Shrink a Partition or Volume in Windows 7

How to Extend a Partition or Volume in Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/225080-operations-hard-drive-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi all,

Anyone know what i can do. Starting up computer is quite fast, opening documents and running computer is fast enough but the likes of downloading of files of the net are quite fast but opening them it says scanning for viruses.

Shutting down takes around 5 to 30 minutes every time.

I have scanned for viruses.
have run chkdsk /f
have run windows updates
have stared in safe mode
have removed all software that I do not need any more
have run sfc
have stopped everything possible from startup
have run the update manager form Lenova

Thanks

Relevancy 55.9%

Hello guys,

I need help.
My computer is too slow from start up upto the opening of simple files. I ran a series of scans using AVG (free edition), Nod 32, and Super anti spyware(free edition) but nothing is found. i believe there is a virus in my pc. Everytime i close an iexplorer window all other ie widows that ive opened are forced to shut down.

Im running on an XP OS with MS office 2007

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Relevancy 55.9%

About a month ago my system began to experience some strange problems in Windows Explorer. Context menus on right click open fine. The folder tree opens and displays fine. Navigation in Explorer is not a problem; however, if I do a file or folder delete or a file or folder move operation, Explorer appears to hang for up to 1 minute (hourglass), then it all of a sudden performs the operation requested.

All other aspects of system performance operate as expected. My system is clean of spyware and viruses.

Searches in this forum and elsewhere did not result in anything that appeared to be related to this issue.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Any ideas?

A:Windows Explorer operations very slow

http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php try usual MOT defrag,run disc clean up,re do spy scans,updates for all programmes,try windows check facility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-operations-very-slow.530210/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi my PC has started taking about half an hour to boot up to the desktop about mins on the windows loading bar screen However once it's loaded it runs fine with exceptions For instance loading Adobe Photoshop CS takes a few minutes when before would take a few seconds and slow Extremely boot up system and operations plugging in a USB digital camera takes about minutes to be recognized I've dong full system scans in AVG spybot ad-aware and panda-scan and nothing out of the ordinary - a few tracking cookies and the system Extremely slow boot up and system operations is Extremely slow boot up and system operations completely up to date As far Extremely slow boot up and system operations as i know nothing i've done has triggered it just started one morning Any help greatly appreciated ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Deckard's System Scanner v Run by thecheez on - - Computer is in Normal Mode -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- HijackThis run as thecheez exe -------------------------------------------- Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware guard exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgupsvc exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgemc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Kontiki KService exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation nTune nTuneService exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS system tcpsvcs exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exe C WINDOWS system CTHELPER EXE C WINDOWS system CTXFIHLP EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM CTXFISPI EXE C WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C Program Files Skype Plugin Manager skypePM exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmplayer exe C Downloads Software dss exe C PROGRA TRENDM HIJACK thecheez exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO ContributeBHO Class - C DC - - A A- D-C C - C Program Files Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dll O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - BHO FDMIECookiesBHO Class - CC E F - E - FA- FAA- BF - C Program Files Free Download Manager iefdm dll O - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - Toolbar Contribute Toolbar - BDDE -E A - -B E- B B FC - C Program Files Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dll O - HKLM ... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/extremely-slow-boot-up-and-system-operations-232007.html
Relevancy 55.47%

bought 5 of these the model t430s i5 cpu\8 GIG MEMORY connected to the Pro series 3 mini dock.  I changed the BIOS to boot from the Hard Drive as the First Option. They are slow to respond to any mouse click....For Example, just closed Internet Explorer and it took over 30 seconds to close. Try to open Excel and same issue....over 30 seconds to start. I click on Acrobat Reader and it takes more than 30 seconds to load.....then when I click on any of the menu options, it says NOT RESPONDING.  A Simple Restart just took just over 14 mintues.....None of the other Windows 7 machines on my network take so long to restart. The machines are just generally sluggish in ALL OPERATIONS, any program chosen to run are slow to respond.  Any Ideas are appreciated

A:Lenovo t430S Slow response to ALL operations

Sounds to me like a bad HDD that is where I would start

Laptop HistoryT43P Fully Loaded (still used with a dock for my Mercedes Diagnostic Software)T420S

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Lenovo-t430S-Slow-response-to-ALL-operations/td-p/992807
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi guys,
I recently noticed that when I try to delete a bunch of small files all at once, the speed is incredibly slow. If I try to delete 10 files under 10mb, it takes about ~12 seconds to delete it all. The transfer display shows that it goes at about ~0.8 items per second. Here's an example:

The same happens when I rename, copy, move, or delete. Pretty much any file operation takes extremely long, and I can't deduce why.

My operating system is run on a 256GB Sandisk Ultra Plus II SSD. I've bought it 2 weeks ago, so I don't think this is the problem. I also tested the file transfer rate on other hard drives, and it still goes at incredibly slow speeds.

I figured it may have been my anti virus programs, so I disabled avast and malwarebytes temporarily but the problem still persists.

Any idea what's going on?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/extremely-slow-file-operations-on-windows-10-a-1037865.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi

Lately, when I move files from one folder to another OR create a new folder, Explorer hangs for up to a few minutes.

Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/6698-slow-file-copy-folder-operations.html
Relevancy 55.04%

One day without giving any warning, my Maxtor 40GB hard disc becomes too slow

Normal processing never indicated any problem though, that is booting time which shoot from 15 seconds to 180 seconds

Recently I tried HDTACH utility and found very interesting thing, first of all it gives the meagre average speed of 3MB per second flat, that is the graph shows a straight line, and the most interesting is the CPU usage: 100%

This, I know, is the indication of hard disk going bad, but can somebody please give some in sight about CPU usage increasing to max? And why graph is a straight line?

TIA

Kamran
Islamabad, Pakistan

Relevancy 55.04%

I dont know but for few months my laptop hard disk is slow. When to boot with new windows it takes about 5 hours. I scaned hard disk for virus and error but still nothing. Any one please advise me. My laptop is acer e5-471-39QT

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-slow.1165552/
Relevancy 54.18%

I recently suffered a motherboard failure and as a result had to reinstall everything so this is a clean fresh Windows install During the upgrade I also upgraded my performance on hard one only disk Slow Windows from Win -bit to Win -bit because I added more memory during the upgrade All of my hard drives were carried over from my previous build but the hard drive Windows was installed on was erased and a completely clean install put in its place After the install was finished I noticed a serious performance problem so I downloaded HD Tune and discovered that my Windows hard drive was now reading at a paltry MB s It's not a driver issue because the other drives in my system are reading at a much healthier - MB s it's also not hardware because when I reboot to my Linux system on one of the other hard disks the disk in question can be read at MB Slow performance only on one hard disk s SMART diagnostics also report that the drive is in perfect health I'm confused as to what is going on that this one single specific hard drive would have performance problems any idea Just as a reference my hardware AMD chipset with SB south bridge FX- CPU GB DDR RAM the problematic hard drive is a Western Digital WD JD I've tried all sorts of variations on the SATA driver for this chipset but as the other hard drives show clean performance in HD Tune I doubt it's a driver problem But I can't come up with any other reason why this one hard drive won't work in Windows and appears to perform just fine in Linux I have tried changing the SATA cables out as well as changing ports and even a full reinstall again

A:Slow performance only on one hard disk

Hello and welcome dopefish Well mate that HDD is only a 1.5Gbs speed drive which is fairly slow by todays standards mate, and I would hazard a guess at it only being 5400 rpm disk speed..

Now you can do a few things you can test it with the WD tester and test the drive with a surface test with Partition Wizard.

Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition. < handy tool for other purposes.

WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD Blue / SE / SE16 (SATA II) or even

SeaTools | Seagate

Personally dopefish for the cost I would be putting in a new rive mate with at least a 7200rpm 3Gbs speed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/274767-slow-performance-only-one-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 and have been running a secondary HDD as an add on for well over 2 years now, but now all of a sudden the 2nd drive is running a lot slower than the primary drive. If I am playing music from this drive it will skip randomly and when copying data to and from the drive the mouse movement becomes choppy and everything slows down.

So far I have tried removing the drive and replacing it with another spare I borrowed from a friend and this was doing the same. I have checked my drive in another machine and it works perfectly. I then swapped out the IDE cable and still no difference. Both disks are running off the same IDE cable and have been for some time, I really don't understand why all of a sudden this has started to happen.

Any help on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

A:2nd Hard Disk Running Slow...Help

Sometimes that is the only symptom of file system errors. Try chkdsk /r on the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2nd-hard-disk-running-slow-help.694488/
Relevancy 54.18%

my windows is running very very slow the mouse is like moving in steps i hope you get what i mean i have a Ghz processor and GB RAM i think this might be a hardware help. disk please slow/hard gone! computer problem cos one of my HD is also not computer slow/hard disk gone! please help. being detected i had formatted the whole computer last week so thats not the problem either did all the usual virus and spyware scan it showed nothing actually i think the hdd problem and this problem is related the hdd is detected once when i unplug and plug it again but it goes off again if i restart the computer please help i did the hijack this program and here is the log file Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes D WINDOWS System smss exe D WINDOWS system winlogon exe D WINDOWS system services exe D WINDOWS system lsass exe D WINDOWS system svchost exe D WINDOWS System svchost exe D WINDOWS system spoolsv exe D WINDOWS system ZoneLabs isafe exe D WINDOWS system nvsvc exe D WINDOWS system svchost exe D WINDOWS Explorer EXE D WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe D Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe D WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXE D WINDOWS ALCWZRD EXE D WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE D Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe D Program Files Airtel RB Comtec Black USB dslagent exe D Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe D Program Files Conexant AccessRunner ADSL CnxDslTb exe D Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe D WINDOWS system ctfmon exe D Program Files Logitech SetPoint SetPoint exe D Program Files Common Files Logitech KHAL KHALMNPR EXE D PROGRA ZONELA ZONEAL MAILFR mantispm exe D Program Files Yahoo Messenger YPager exe D WINDOWS system wuauclt exe D WINDOWS system svchost exe D Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe D Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe D Program Files Winamp winamp exe C from g Downloads hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId amp clcid SUB CLCID O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - D Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - FF D- A - A-A EF- BA A E - no file O - HKLM Run Zone Labs Client D Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe O - HKLM Run High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut HDAShCut exe O - HKLM Run SoundMan SOUNDMAN EXE O - HKLM Run AlcWzrd ALCWZRD EXE O - HKLM Run Alcmtr ALCMTR EXE O - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck D WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE D WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE D WINDOWS system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit O - HKLM Run DAEMON Tools- quot D Program Files D-Tools daemon exe quot -lang O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched D Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run DSLSTATEXE D Program Files Airtel RB Comtec Black USB dslstat exe icon O - HKLM Run DSLAGENTEXE D Program Files Airtel RB Comtec Black USB dslagent exe O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot D Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run CnxDslTaskBar quot D Program Files Conexant AccessRunner ADSL CnxDslTb exe quot O - HKCU Run Yahoo Pager quot D Program Files Yahoo Messenger ypager exe quot -quiet O - HKCU Run MsnMsgr quot D Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe quot background O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe D WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - Global Startup Logitech SetPoint lnk D Program Files Logitech SetPoint SetPoint exe O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res D PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra button no n... Read more

Relevancy 54.18%

Newly bought R11 come with default window 10 run very slow. The task show that the disk is 100% use most of the time. CPU and memory is less than 5% used. What wrong with this laptop ? What can I do ? Thank you

http://community.acer.com/t5/S-and-R-Series-Laptops/R11-window-10-very-slow-hard-disk-100-most-of-the-time/td-p/447419
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,

My hard disk seems to start thrshing when I go into Windows, almost as if something is running relentlessly in the background. At the same time the machine will often hang.

I have removed anti virus software and the problem still extists. Is there any way of finding out what is loading and running, apart from through task manager?

Windows also seems to run quite slowly, any tips for speeding it up apart from memory upgrades?

A:Slow XP and thrashing hard disk

Go to Flavallee's site here http://9337387.home.icq.com/index.html (Also a Windows XP user) and have a read on tweaking your puter to run faster and more efficient.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slow-xp-and-thrashing-hard-disk.219548/
Relevancy 54.18%

Greetings
CPU: I7
4 HDD: 1 Kingston SSD, 1 Seagate, 2 older WD (1TB, 2TB)
access to WD is slow. after accessing for the first time, work is normal.
details of HDD:
KINGSTON SV300S3
ST3000DM001-1CH1
WDC WD10EADS-65M
WDC20EADS-00S
are the WD sata2 as opposed to the Seagate, hence the slow access?
thanks

A:slow access to hard disk

forgot to mention: the 2 WD hard disks were moved from an older PC I had with winXP x32.
Is the format different between win7 x64 and XP x32?
thanks again

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/299188-slow-access-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 53.75%

My company s computer needs to be patitioned partition Hard-disk hard-disk do failure disk. Can't boot nor format when using and reformat The system is still working well Can't format hard-disk nor do partition when using boot disk. Hard-disk failure I mean nothing wrong with anything weird huh Ok the hard disk just need to be split I mean make drive C amp D on the hard disk I know how to do that easy Then the HD need to Can't format hard-disk nor do partition when using boot disk. Hard-disk failure be formatted amp reinstall windows XP Ok easy too But the main problem occured before I do anything partition amp format I have my own bootable CD that I usually use for partitioning amp formatting Ok i insert the CD amp restart I went to BIOS amp changed the boot order st boot CD-ROM nd HDD- amp rd Floppy Then restart again Ok the bootable CD is excellently loaded I typed fdisk then came the first problem it says something like no fixed disk I exit fdisk Then I typed format c nd problem occured it says something like invalid drive I forgot the error message because the pc is in my office right now I m currently at home begging for help So the error message is not accurate sorry I think if I run the CD the hard disk will not be loaded or should I say hard disk failure amp If I take off the CD amp restart again change the BIOS st boot HDD- then windows will load Weird right I don t think my CD is corrupted nor broken because I tried to run the CD from another PC Yes I can access the C drive from that PC Does anyone have any idea of the possibilities here Hard disk failure when running a win bootable CD bad BIOS setting File System Thanks nbsp

A:Can't format hard-disk nor do partition when using boot disk. Hard-disk failure

It sounds like it might be the bootable CD you've created is not picking up the HDD's/partitions.
To eliminate this as a posibility travel to bootdisk and grab the WinME bootdisk and boot from there. If it picks up the HDD you can FDISK and Format from there.
The other option is to boot using the XP CD and let it handle the formatting/partitioning duties...

patio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-format-hard-disk-nor-do-partition-when-using-boot-disk-hard-disk-failure.25613/
Relevancy 53.75%

My computer seems to slow down after a few days of use I reboot it and things seem to clear up Then it slows down again I can hear my disk drive trying to seeking and trying Everything slows down opening my browser and connecting to a site liek yahoo is very slow DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Paul at on - - Microsoft Windows Professional GMT - AV McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Enabled Updated ADA C - F - - A- B E SP McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Enabled Updated C C - - - FA- E F F SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF FW McAfee Firewall Enabled DA E - - D - - AD FE Running Processes C Disk Hard few reposne after down a slow days Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system ibmpmsvc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost Hard Disk reposne slow down after a few days exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k GPSvcGroup Hard Disk reposne slow down after a few days C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Program Files x Cisco Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client vpnagent exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM armsvc exe C Program Files x ATT ma bin MAHostService exe C Program Files x ATT ma bin node exe C Program Files x Lenovo RapidBoot HDD Accelerator FBService exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files Intel iCLS Client HeciServer exe C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Management Engine Components DAL jhi service exe C Program Files Lenovo Communications Utility CAMMUTE exe C Program Files Lenovo Communications Utility TPKNRSVC exe C Program Files LENOVO VIRTSCRL lvvsst exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee McSvcHost McSvHost exe C Windows system mfevtps exe C Windows system msiexec exe C Windows system rundll exe C Windows system rundll exe C Windows SysWOW rundll exe C Program Files Common Files Nitro PDF Professional NitroPDFDriverService x exe C Windows SysWOW NLSSRV EXE C Program Files x Common Files Motive pcCMService exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C PROGRA LENOVO VIRTSCRL virtscrl exe C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files LENOVO HOTKEY TPHKSVC exe C Program Files x Common Files Ulead Systems DVD ULCDRSvr exe C Program Files McAfee MSC McAPExe exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee AMCore mcshield exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee SystemCore mfefire exe C Program Files LENOVO HOTKEY TPHKLOAD exe C Program Files LENOVO HOTKEY MICMUTE exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee Platform McSvcHost McSvHost exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Windows system igfxext exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVCpl exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVBg exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Windows System TpShocks exe C Program Files Lenovo Communications Utility TpKnrres exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint ipoint exe C Windows System hkcmd exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Windows System StikyNot exe C Program Files x Intel Intel reg USB eXtensible Host Controller Driver Application iusb mon exe C Program Files x Dolby Advanced Audio v pcee exe C Windows SysWOW rundll exe C Windows system rundll exe C Program Files x Intel IntelAppStore bin ismagent exe C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe C Program Files x Cisco Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client vpnui exe C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files McAfee com Agent mcagent exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee Platform mcuicnt exe C Wind... Read more

A:Hard Disk reposne slow down after a few days

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.===Nothing suspicious was found on your log. Lets continue.Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.Click the Report button and the report will open in Notepad.IMPORTANTIf you click the Clean button all items listed in the report will be removed.If you find some false positive items or programs that you wish to keep, Close the AdwCleaner windows.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.Check off the element(s) you wish to keep.Click on the Clean button follow the prompts.A log file will automatically open after the scan has finished.Please post the content of that log file with your next answer.You can find the log file at C:\AdwCleaner[Sn].txt (n is a number). Please downloadJunkware Removal Tool to your Desktop.Please close your security software to avoid potential conflicts.Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or 7, right-mouse click it and select Run as administrator.The tool will open and start scanning your system.Please be patient as this can take a while to complete, depending on your system's specifications.On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your Desktop and will automatically open.Please post the contents of JRT.txt into your reply.===Please download ComboFix from any of the links below, and save it to your desktop. For information regarding this download, please visit this web page: TurorialLink 1Link 2IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop1. Close any open browsers.2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.3. Do not install any other programs until this if fixed.How to : Disable Anti-virus and Firewall...http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.htmlDouble click on ComboFix.exe and follow the prompts.When finished, it will produce a report for you.Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt Note: Do not mouse click ComboFix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stallNote: If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.htmlNote: If after running ComboFix you get this error message "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion." when attempting to run a program all you need to do is restart the computer to reset the registry.===Please paste the logs in your next reply DO NOT ATTACH THEM.Let me know what problem persists.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/523120/hard-disk-reposne-slow-down-after-a-few-days/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi im terry wiggers,

I must have re-done my laptop 20 times now, it keeps not responding when it turns on, Saying a hard disk problem, and freezing up?,
Any ideas why its doing this?, Here's my specs:
Advent Eclipse E300 Red
Windows 7 home premium
2GB DDR3 RAM
250GB Hard Drive
Wirless is 802.11b/g/n
13.3" Widescreen
Integrated intel Mobile 4 Series

Help Would be appreciated Thanks,

Terry wiggers

A:Laptop Being slow and says hard disk problem?

Guess ill have to re-do it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/156509-laptop-being-slow-says-hard-disk-problem.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi,

It's been like this for almost a year now. When I plug the hard disk to my laptop, it takes very long to respond, but when I plug it to my TV, it responds immediately. It's gotten very annoying. Any idea how I can fix this?

A:External hard disk unusually slow

Maybe your hdd have a lot of files so windows need a time to read it all.And try defragmenting it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/129901-external-hard-disk-unusually-slow.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have XP Pro; 1Gb RAM; Pentium III/700. Everything is going pretty well, but I have tried to perform a chkdsk. My internal hard disk is partioned as C and D; they "accepted" perfectly chkdsk in "normal times", but the 80 G external, that as a matter of fact, behaves perfectly, has taken more than three hours (until I stopped it) in the last revewing: the "files" = it practically stops in "2%"; other previous three ones's reviews took normal time. Is it just for the hard disk's size, or is it the sign that something is going wrong? Many thanks and greetings

Relevancy 53.75%

Hi all I'm running Win Ultimate bit This is my rig CPU Intel E GHz OC RAM OCZ Titanium x GB MHz FSB x MB Gigabyte EX and always disk Hard computer active slow is very -DS BIOS F GPU ATI Palit GB Dual Edition I have WD HDD GB Sata and WD HDD GB Sata for my videos and music only The main HDD has two partitions C GB and E GB I believe my computer is quite good and fast At least it used to be From some reason in the past month the HDD is grinding like a maniac and it makes everything slow After each restart I have to wait at least minutes for it to relax so I can launch applications I haven't installed Hard disk always active and computer is very slow anything dubious and I regularly check for viruses with NOD and spywares with SpyBot and also use windows defender and firewall I also use Ccleaner for registry and cache files cleanup At system startup I'm running these applications Windows Sidebar RocketDock Stikynotes Realtek ravcpl exe sound thingy ESET NOD Disabling these apps didn't solve nor improve anything My computer is powerful enough to handle these apps quickly These are the non-windows services that are running on startup And this is a screenshot of my HDD activity after startup Not long ago I could launch several apps simultaneously and they'd show up very quickly firefox office outlook MSN messenger Skype Photoshop CS I used to wait seconds for Photoshop CS bit to fully Hard disk always active and computer is very slow open with all the additional plugins now I have to wait about seconds Please don't tell me to Hard disk always active and computer is very slow reinstall Windows But I'm open for other suggestions Anymore info that can shed some light Thanks Gil

A:Hard disk always active and computer is very slow

It sounds like you've got hardware issues...

Download this cd/dvd iso and boot from it: Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

Once you've booted from it, use the hardware diagonistic utilities to diagnose problems.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/78373-hard-disk-always-active-computer-very-slow.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello Everybody,

I have a WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR R3 1TB WD1002FBYS connected to my ASROCK X58 Extreme PC MoBo.
The problem is that when I try to copy a large file, for example a 4 GB file from one directory to another on the same HD, the first GB is copyed at 40 MB/s speed, then it gets slower and slower and achieves a ridiculous 2-3 MB/s. It takes more than two hours to finish a 5 GB file copy-paste operation on the same HD.

It is connected in DMA mode, so I suppose it is not the usual PIO connection problem. On italian websites nobody was able to help me.

Is there something to do with it or it may be simply defective?

Relevancy 53.75%

Here are my specs Processer - Intel R Core TM Quad CPU Q GHz GHz Memory RAM - GB System Type - -bit Operating System Motherboard - P Q Graphics Card s - Powercolor Radeon XFX Radeon this is the second one that I have taken off now Power Supply - W Corsair Hard Drives - gb Seagate main drive that has windows on C tb Western Digital storage drive D and the one that s really slow LG DVD Drive I ll start off with a recap of the events that happened leading to me believing that one of my hard disks is the problem In Short Hard disk suddenly goes bonkers on me My computer was slowing down added another graphics card because I didn t want to bother dealing with it Started crashing in games so I took away suddenly really becomes Solved: Hard Disk slow the bells and whistles off my computer Still was as slow as heck so I reinstalled windows No luck Basically Copying a mb file on C is instantaneous whereas copying the same file on D takes sec rounded on average In Long Might have been an over time thing tried to isolate the Solved: Hard Disk suddenly becomes really slow problem but Solved: Hard Disk suddenly becomes really slow to no avail Installed another radeon into my computer for crossfire because my computer Solved: Hard Disk suddenly becomes really slow seemed like it was slowing down Then after couple days or so I started noticing there were constant crashes while playing games ie World of Warcraft - thouhgt it was a problem here at first so I tried using its own repair tool then reinstalled it no luck though I m sure the problem isn t here Around this time was when I finally tried restarting the computer and finding out it took about min to startup much longer than it was suppose to always slept my computer instead of shutting it down Read up on crossfire and found out that the minimum requirement is W but since my power supply is W I thought it could possibly be that my power supply couldn t handle it so I took the nd graphics card out again hopefully this shouldn t cause any problems to my computer Still had crashing problems so I reformatted and reinstalled windows This is when I realised moving copying files in out of my D drive was much slower than it was suppose to at mb s Since the bootup still took about min to startup my computer I completely took off my storage drive The result was a super fast startup like how it was suppose to be So I put the storage drive back on switching the SATA cables Then I replaced both cables after waiting through a long bootup but that didn t work so I and waited through the long bootup to get my data out of there and reformat that drive Realised I didn t have enough memory to put the stuff I needed into my main drive I shrunk a porton of the storage drive and tried moving everything over to that part thinking I can install windows there on a gb partion and move everything back BUT the write speeds were so slow I had to cancel the move So to speed things up I attempted to defragment the two drives C drive defragged ok but D drive was stuck at trying to defrag one file so I stopped it Now I have no idea what else to do to try and solve this problem Anyone have any suggestions nbsp

A:Solved: Hard Disk suddenly becomes really slow

An update to the problem:

Got all the stuff I needed out of the drive, and ran some read & write tests on both my drives with this parkdale drive testing thing. C: drive has a r/w speed of about 80m/s while the D: drive has 8m/s.

Since there hasn't been any reply to this for a week now, I'm just going to return the drive for warranty and hope for the best.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-disk-suddenly-becomes-really-slow.913013/
Relevancy 53.32%

hi
i have a query.isnt the transfer rate between partitions within a hard drive supposed to be faster than its external transfer rate via the interface?
i have a seagate st3160215as with 2mb cache.it says on the website that it has a maximum sustainable transfer rate of 78MB/sec,whereas when i moved media files from my drive d: to drive c: the avg came out to be about 10MB/sec (i divided the file size with the time in secs to calculate that).
is this normal?
also what is the usual tranfer rate when coying off a dvd to hard disk?

thanks

A:Slow hard disk transfer rate between partitions

There are several things that can affect transfer rates... things like system CPU, memory and motherboard, and running programs

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-hard-disk-transfer-rate-between-partitions.105311/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello,

I have a ASUS N61JQ and Fell on the table... then when i turn on goto windows it was very very very slow!!

I tried for install a new windows but about 6-7 hours just 50% and no more!
I stop windows installer and exsect Harddisk 640gb from laptop.

I tired connect to PC with SATA but when goto windows my PCsystem just know harddisk and my system is very very very slow.

i just have a question how i can access to my info?
can i check it for error and fix it?

Please help me. i love this forum and always help me

Also again connect Harddisk to laptop but just wait in ASUS Logo when turn on it!
I tried without harddisk and it's start and find harddisk

I hope know my problem for bad english!

Thank you

A:My hard disk Asus N61JQ Badsector and Slow...

If the HD is physically damaged then it's probably not reparable.

But you can put it back in the laptop, boot the maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan to get a definite diagnosis.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/245336-my-hard-disk-asus-n61jq-badsector-slow.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello everyone As can be read in this topic I'm having problems with the HDD light on the light Hard constantly almost very computer disk slow on, front of my computer It is almost constantly on even when I'm not doing anything with my computer at all Also ever since it started my computer is very slow It seems like it's constantly busy doing things the problem is that I don't know what it's doing As you read in the old topic I've already replaced the HD for a brand new one I've cloned my old drive onto the new one and the problem persists so I guess it has something to do with the things on the drive and not with the drive itself The problem with the noise that is mentioned in the topic is solved On my MsConfig screen there are a lot of services checked is this normal or could this possibly be causing some problems I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium -bit on an Acer Aspire M The computer is about years old and I've replaced the power supply and the graphics card and the HD of course I've also created a factory-reset disk using Acer eRecovery software So if necessary I could reinstall Windows on my old HD to see if it would work However I'd rather keep it in the current state with all the files still on it so I'll have some kind of backup if my new drive would ever fail If someone thinks reinstalling windows would work I would try it though PS Excuse me for accidental grammar mistakes english is not my native language

A:Hard disk light almost constantly on, computer very slow

The services are checked because they are being used.  If you remove the check from a box it disables the service.

Open the Task Manager and click on processes to see what is constantly running.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540913/hard-disk-light-almost-constantly-on-computer-very-slow/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi

Im getting really slow transfer speeds to external usb hard disk.
Transfering a big file it starts off quite quick and gets up to 5% or so quite quickly.
Then it starts to slow down until it settles at around 5MB/s

Im at a loss i was expecting around 40MB/s maybe on USB 2 ?

My specs are (taken from CPUID)
Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H motherboard
8GB DD2 4-4-4-12 @401Mhz
AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3013Mhz

Im at a loss. Is it a driver issue? When connected it shows under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" as "USB Mass Storage Device"

any ideas please?

A:Slow transfer speed to external USB Hard disk?

For normal external USB 2 HDD I might expect ~30MB/s for a sequential file transfer.
What type of USB HDD are you using?

You could download CrystalDiskMark and post the performance figures.
Download Center - Crystal Dew World

Running the test on another HDD as well would be useful if you can get your hands on one. Might indicate a drive specific issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/167613-slow-transfer-speed-external-usb-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 53.32%

When i plug my external hard disk through a usb my laptops performance becomes really slow... when i try to access the hard disk its super slow like ten to 15 minutes... My external HDD is a 120Gb toshiba
before all of this happened i was insatalling the pc suite for my sony ericsson z610i..

and i installed that netframe 1.1 for xp service pack 1 and then thats it...
can sum 1 help me please..

Relevancy 53.32%

So I just have a clean install of windows 7, I use SSD 60GB for the Drive C as the systems.

Then I got 2nd hard disk drive which is 500GB, and 3rd hard disk drive which is 2TB.

I plugged in my USB Drive, copy file to the 2TB hard drive, file copied without any problems, normal processing.

Now I copy the file from USB drive to 500 GB hard drive, file copied very slow, abnormal processing using a very low of cpu usage, 0-3%.

What happened? is my 500GB HDD got bad sector? right now I'm back up the 500GB drive's file into 2TB drive. 4 hours to completion.

A:Copying File From USB Drive to 2 Different Hard Disk. One is very slow

Is every copy to 500GB disk so slow?
Is every copy FROM 500GB disk so slow?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/328180-copying-file-usb-drive-2-different-hard-disk-one-very-slow.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi all following problem My computer is running very slow It happened suddenly from one day to another I checked for a virus or similar with Malwarebytes Spybot Search amp Destroy and AVG Nothing was found checked another time hard slow Computer running disk problem? - a week later same result The Task Manager showed Computer running slow - hard disk problem? that only of GB RAM are used The CPU is at nearly That seems not to be a problem But when I open the Ressource Manager it shows that my hard disk has time with maximal activity without writing Computer running slow - hard disk problem? much most of the time nothing While being inactive I am doing nothing except viewing the Ressource Manager there are some tasks which bother me mainly svchost local service network restricted Sometimes they go away and the computer is working properly sometimes not Another important point is that the answering time of the tasks who are doing smth with my hard disk are often over the record was Even if my computer is working nearly properly you can work but need to wait for each website minutes and for a program to start nearly minutes you often see the no response don't know how it is called in english sorry for that at the upper window of the program I downloaded Speedfan https en wikipedia org wiki SpeedFan and did an online analysis Here are the results http www hddstatus com hdrepshowreport php ReportCode amp ReportVerification C B The funny thing about these results is that I did more than one time chkdsk I think with the values f r He found something and repaired it Could it be that I forgot one time the value r and the repaired some important thing but didn't recover it so my computer is going crazy I don't know what i can do anymore tried my best and hopefully someone can help me furthermore Do I need a new hard disk like the online analysis of speed fan suggests Thanks in advance

A:Computer running slow - hard disk problem?

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.

Worth reading:  Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html .

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500544/computer-running-slow-hard-disk-problem/
Relevancy 53.32%

It had been a while since I reformatted Windows Disk after Hard Access slow Reinstallation my computer a Toshiba A -S so I did today I installed Windows Professional bit and after installing my computer was behaving really slow apparently only when it s accessing the hard drive I updated all the drivers I could from the Toshiba website but it s still slower than it was before I reformatted It starts slower and programs especially installers run much slower One weird thing that is happening is when I try to install the Intel Rapid Storage driver the installer crashes with the message quot Intel Installation Framework has stopped responding quot and it gives me the option to close the program or to debug it so naturally I close it that is to say it s not one of those which you can choose quot wait for this program to respond quot I don t know if this is the problem or not since in my last install I didn t Hard Disk Access slow after Windows Reinstallation install the Rapid Storage drivers and everything went fine and I ve looked up this error on Google but have not found anything Does anyone know what I could do to Hard Disk Access slow after Windows Reinstallation fix this problem I have also run chkdsk and it reports no problems nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-access-slow-after-windows-reinstallation.980142/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a Dell Disk running Hard Solved: extremely New slow Dimension that is a couple of years old It came with a Gb had drive installed I recently bought a Maxtor Gb drive to add as a data disk I bought a new ribbon cable and have installed the new drive WinXP can see it and I can read write to it - all the data is fine and Solved: New Hard Disk running extremely slow usable but the transfer rate is extremely slow and causes my mouse pointer to freeze up and the system to slow right down whenever the new drive is accessed I used HDTune and on the old drive I get an average transfer rate of MB sec With the new drive I get Solved: New Hard Disk running extremely slow an average of just MB sec Here is Solved: New Hard Disk running extremely slow what HDTune said about the old drive HD Tune WDC WD JB- FUA Benchmark Transfer Rate Minimum MB sec Transfer Rate Maximum MB sec Transfer Rate Average MB sec Access Time ms Burst Rate MB sec CPU Usage And here is the new drive HD Tune Maxtor A J Benchmark Transfer Rate Minimum MB sec Transfer Rate Maximum MB sec Transfer Rate Average MB sec Access Time ms Burst Rate MB sec CPU Usage HD Tune Maxtor A J Information Firmware version RAMB TU Serial number A MCN E Capacity GB GB Buffer size KB Standard ATA ATAPI- Supported mode UDMA Mode Ultra ATA Current mode UDMA Mode Ultra ATA S M A R T yes -bit Address yes Read Look-Ahead yes Write Cache yes Host Protected Area yes Device Configuration Overlay yes Automatic Acoustic Management yes Power Management yes Advanced Power Management yes Power-up in Standby no Security Mode no Firmware Upgradable yes Partition Drive letter J Label Data Capacity MB Usage Type NTFS Bootable No HD Tune Maxtor A J Health ID Current Worst ThresholdData Status Spin Up Time Ok Start Stop Count Ok Reallocated Sector Count Ok Read Channel Margin Ok Seek Error Rate Ok Seek Time Performance Ok Power On Hours Count Ok A Spin Retry Count Ok B Calibration Retry Count Ok C Power Cycle Count Ok C Power Off Retract Count Ok C Load Cycle Count Ok C Temperature Ok C Hardware ECC Recovered Ok C Reallocated Event Count Ok C Current Pending Sector Ok C Offline Uncorrectable Ok C Ultra DMA CRC Error Count Ok C Write Error Rate Ok C unknown attribute Ok CA unknown attribute Ok CB unknown attribute Ok CC unknown attribute Ok CD unknown attribute Ok CF unknown attribute Ok D unknown attribute Ok D unknown attribute Ok unknown attribute Ok unknown attribute Ok unknown attribute Ok Power On Time Health Status Ok Can anyone through any light on this Is this just a horribly slow drive or is something wrong with it Or do I have some settings wrong somewhere Many thanks James nbsp

A:Solved: New Hard Disk running extremely slow

I find it interesting that it's supported mode is UDMA6, and it claims it's running at UDMA7. I'm guessing from the speeds that it's actually running in PIO mode. I suggest taking a look at DMA reverts to PIO

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-hard-disk-running-extremely-slow.542289/
Relevancy 53.32%

I'm facing a bad sector error in an unallocated space. after running partition wizard tools for surface test in my hard disk.
Please help, how to solve it.
I'm thankful for that in advance.

A:Primary Hard disk transfer rate is slow

My laptop is too much slow. Explorer gets not responding.
I have fully formated my hdd.
but i still getting slow speed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/340012-primary-hard-disk-transfer-rate-slow.html
Relevancy 52.03%

So months ago i was shutting down my vaio laptop and crashes disk, screens Bad slow, windows Did reinstallation, blue hard i Bad hard disk, Did windows reinstallation, slow, crashes blue screens was in a hurry so i closed the lid while shutting down i didnt get back on the laptop till the next day and it Bad hard disk, Did windows reinstallation, slow, crashes blue screens didnt boot like normal it sent me to startup repair and i left it to scan for a good week and it told me it was a bad hard disk i then ordered a windows installation disc and did the process of a clean installation since i couldnt do a upgrade after a successful reinstallation i saw my network adapter wAs missing so then i reset my laptop to factory settings through vaio rescue care or something it fixed the missing network driver and was working ok throighout the day until i started to actually do things on the computer like downloading a few programs i use it was veryyy slow and kept freezing and programs kept say not responding i even began to hear clunking noises in the laptop it then crashed and lead to a blue screen and after that it said operating system not found i typed in commands using command prompt quot bootrec fixmbr quot quot bootrec fixboot quot and quot bootrec rebuildbcd quot and typed exit and restarted my pc it boot and worked for a good minutes into using it then crashed again and typed the commands again and i got off the laptop for the rest of the night since i was so frustrated im wondering how can i save my laptop from dying i do not have the money to take it for professional help or to buy a new pc i do not care to save any files as everything was already wiped how can you save a bad hard disk which has clunking noises or is it just completely done for good please help

A:Bad hard disk, Did windows reinstallation, slow, crashes blue screens

Hi Lingwing,
If the hard drive is on its last legs then you need to back up your data IMMEDIATELY.
A new set of installation discs will NOT make a blind bit of difference
follow the instructions in this link.
Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/397661-bad-hard-disk-did-windows-reinstallation-slow-crashes-blue-screens.html
Relevancy 52.03%

When I boot the hard disk light flashes more or less normally until the logon screen is presented Then the HD light goes into a constant on state Anything after this is very slow I would estimate on the order of or more slower than usual During a normal boot not to safe mode it took about hours for the desktop to begin populating with the pre-icons A couple of the icons eventually showed up after another hour response Light slow constant--extremely Disk Hard system but I forced a reboot to safe mode Safe Mode is similarly slow but I think it does a lot less so it doesn t Hard Disk Light constant--extremely slow system response take as long It can get Hard Disk Light constant--extremely slow system response the desktop fully populated in about an hour dds txt DDS Ver - - - NTFSx MINIMALInternet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run Hard Disk Light constant--extremely slow system response by dhains at on - - Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - AV Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live Anti-Virus Enabled Updated A C F E - FDE- -AFAE- EFC EDE AV Microsoft Security Essentials Disabled Updated EDB FA - B - AFA- C D- CCA Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k DcomLaunchsvchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exe -k netsvcsC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS system taskmgr exeD Program Files KEDITW KEDITW EXE Pseudo HJT Report uSearch Page hxxp www google comuStart Page hxxp www wunderground com radar radblast asp ID BMX amp lat amp lon - amp label Hoover C AL amp type N R amp zoommode pan amp map x amp map y amp centerx amp centery amp prevzoom zoom amp num amp delay amp scale amp showlabels amp smooth amp noclutter amp showstorms amp rainsnow amp lightning uURLSearchHooks Ad-Aware Security Toolbar c a e- - - af- aa d bf c - c program files adawaretb adawareDx dllBHO Adobe PDF Link Helper df c-e ad- -a -fa c ebdc - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dllBHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - f - d - - d f - d progra spybot SDHelper dllBHO Ad-Aware Security Toolbar c a e- - - af- aa d bf c - c program files adawaretb adawareDx dllBHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper bb-d f - c-b eb-d daf d d - c program files java jre bin ssv dllBHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO af de - d - -b fa-ce b ad d - c program files google googletoolbarnotifier swg dllBHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dllTB Ad-Aware Security Toolbar c a e- - - af- aa d bf c - c program files adawaretb adawareDx dllTB E BD F- B D- E- CBD-FD BB AAE E - No FileuRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exemRun Adobe ARM quot c program files common files adobe arm AdobeARM exe quot mRun QuickTime Task quot c program files quicktime qttask exe quot -atboottimemRun SunJavaUpdateSched quot c program files common files java java update jusched exe quot mRun LogitechQuickCamRibbon quot d program files logitech quickcam Quickcam exe quot hidemRun MSConfig c windows pchealth helpctr binaries MSCONFIG EXE autodRun DWQueuedReporting quot c progra common micros dw dwtrig exe quot -tdRunOnce adaware reg exe delete quot HKCU Software AppDataLow Software adaware quot fdRunOnce adaware XP reg exe delete quot HKCU Software adaware quot fStartupFolder c docume alluse startm programs startup audibl lnk - c program files audible bin AudibleDownloadHelper exeStartupFolder c docume alluse startm programs startup micros lnk - d program files microsoft office office OSA EXEStartupFolder c docume alluse startm programs startup shortc lnk - d macros login vbsmPolicies-system ConsentPromptBehaviorUser x mPolicies-system ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin x IE e e dd -d - - b -f ba - windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exeIE FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - c program files messenger msmsgs exeIE E -DDB - aed- D -D C E - E -DDB - aed- D -D C E - d program files drm converter YouTubeRipper dllIE DFB A - F - C -A - CAB FD A - - F - D - - D F - d progra spybot SDHelper dllTrusted Zone talisma url Trusted Zone intuit com ttlcTrusted Zone turbotax comDPF Garmin Communicator... Read more

A:Hard Disk Light constant--extremely slow system response

Greetings and Welcome to The Forums!!My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems. I have put together somethings for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier and faster for both of usPlease do not run any tools unless instructed to do so.
We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability.Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.
Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post.Please read every post completely before doing anything.
Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process.Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.
A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the Watch Topic Button, select Immediate Notification, and click on Proceed. This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster. NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of hartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer. NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.DeFogger: Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
The application window will appear Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers Click Yes to continue A 'Finished!' message will appear Click OKDeFogger may ask you to reboot the machine, if it does - click OKDo not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.-AdwCleaner-Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click on Delete.Confirm each time with Ok.Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.--RogueKiller-- Download & SAVE to your Desktop RogueKiller or from here
Quit all programs that you may have started. Please disconnect any USB or external drives from the computer before you run this scan! For Vista or Windows 7, right-click and select "Run as Administrator to start"For Windows XP, double-click to start. Wait until Prescan has finished ... Then Click on "Scan" button Wait until the Status box shows "Scan Finished"click on "delete" Wait until the Status box shows "Deleting Finished" Click on "Report" and copy/paste the content of the Notepad into your next reply.The log should be found in RKreport[1].txt on your DesktopExit/Close RogueKiller+Gringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/469717/hard-disk-light-constant-extremely-slow-system-response/
Relevancy 52.03%

So months ago i was shutting down my vaio laptop and i was in a hurry so i closed the lid while shutting down i didnt get back on the laptop till the next day and it didnt boot like normal it sent me to startup repair and i left it to scan for a good week and it told me it was a bad hard disk i then ordered a windows installation disc and did the process of a clean installation since i couldnt do a upgrade after a successful reinstallation i saw my network adapter wAs missing so then i reset my laptop to factory settings through windows slow, Did screens blue reinstallation, Bad disk, hard crashes vaio rescue care or something it fixed the missing network driver and was working ok throighout the day until i Bad hard disk, Did windows reinstallation, slow, crashes blue screens started to actually do things on the computer like downloading a few programs i use it was veryyy slow and kept freezing and programs kept say not responding i even began to hear clunking noises in the laptop it then crashed and lead to a blue screen and after that it said operating system not found i typed in commands using command prompt quot bootrec fixmbr quot quot bootrec fixboot quot and quot bootrec rebuildbcd quot and typed exit and restarted my pc it boot and worked for a good minutes into using it then crashed again and typed the commands again and i got off the laptop for the rest of the night since i was so frustrated im wondering how can i save my laptop from dying i do not have the money to take it for professional help or to buy a new pc i do not care to save any files as everything was already wiped how can you save a bad hard disk which has clunking noises or is it just completely done for good please help

A:Bad hard disk, Did windows reinstallation, slow, crashes blue screens

Hi Lingwing,
If the hard drive is on its last legs then you need to back up your data IMMEDIATELY.
A new set of installation discs will NOT make a blind bit of difference
follow the instructions in this link.
Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/397661-bad-hard-disk-did-windows-reinstallation-slow-crashes-blue-screens.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi BC Hoping you can help with my issue The overview is that my computer is running incredibly slow in normal mode opening windows explorer takes upwards of minutes there is a new shortcut on my desktop called Continue File Opener Installation and now when I boot up SMART Malware Error Possible Desktop, Slow Computer, Hard Disk File on I see a SMART Hard Disk Error Here are my system specifications OS Windows Home Premium Slow Computer, Possible Malware File on Desktop, SMART Hard Disk Error Service Pack -bit Manufacturer Model Hewlett-Packard HP G Notebook PC Here is the detailed sequence of events that had led up to this post My wife is the primary user of this computer and one day she told me it was running incredibly slow It was not a gradual slowdown it went from normal speed to basically unusable all at once Opening any application or Slow Computer, Possible Malware File on Desktop, SMART Hard Disk Error file takes many minutes I don't know of any action taken by her that caused this i e downloading a file installing an application clicking on a suspicious link I tried to check some things like disk cleanup defragmenter removing unwanted applications removing internet add-ons but I could hardly do anything because of the computer Slow Computer, Possible Malware File on Desktop, SMART Hard Disk Error performance I think I got a few things removed and I turned off some things in the Startup tab of System Configuration but that didn't really help and I eventually switched it to boot up in safe mode and restarted the PC Once I got it started in safe mode it ran much more like I would expect I started with safe mode - minimal and tried some of the activities I mentioned above to clean up the PC and remove anything that was unwanted After that I booted up in safe mode with networking and noticed it still ran acceptably well and I was able to access the internet I tried booting up in normal mode again but it was still so slow I couldn't do anything At some point during this process I noticed a file on the desktop called Continue File Opener Installation which was suspicious to me I googled it and found that it and another one called Continue Zip Opener Installation which I do not have appear to be Malware I found the bleeping computer forums and started reading some posts in there Before I got too far into reading BC I ran a scan with Norton Internet Security even though my subscription is expired and it found a handful of items I think all registry items I don't remember and can't find a log and said it removed them all After Norton didn't seem to help I continued reading BC and one poster seemed to have the same problem that I did so I started following the instructions provided to him on my PC no I didn't read the Am I infected pinned post first about not using others advice as your own Yes I'm a doofus I ran SecurityCheck Farbar Service Scanner MiniToolBox MBAM Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and rKill I got logs and reports from each one and MBAM said it found Registry Keys Registry values and files and I assume it removed them At this point I thought maybe I would see some improvement so I turned off safe mode and rebooted in normal mode Still was pretty much the same mind-numbingly slow So I opened MBAM again and started to run another scan thinking it might find some more items in normal mode The total scan previously in safe mode took less than minutes In normal mode the first couple steps Pre-scan Operations took over minutes At some point during the first couple steps I got a message that my hard disk detected an error and there would be an imminent failure I don't remember the exact message and my PC boots in safe mode now where I haven't gotten the message So I stopped the MBAM scan saved my important files and shut down the PC When I booted it back up I got the following message SMART Hard Disk Error The SMART Hard disk check has detected an imminent failure To ensure not data loss please backup content immediately and ... Read more

A:Slow Computer, Possible Malware File on Desktop, SMART Hard Disk Error

Welcome aboard

There is no reason for you to worry about malware since SMART test clearly indicate your hard drive failing.
You should back up your data immediately (while you can), buy new hard drive and reinstall Windows.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/593588/slow-computer-possible-malware-file-on-desktop-smart-hard-disk-error/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hard disk type Seagate SATA Model Number SeaTools, of DST hard failed DST the do hard Short g has My and passed disk Long disk ST AS Serial Number RA J H Firmware Revision AAD OS XP SP Mother Borad Intel GCCR My hard disk has passed Short DST and failed Long DST of SeaTools do the hard disk going to fail If yes how to transfer my data to a new hard disk easily Complete description of the issue I have experienced boot up issue with my PC days back My PC not even boot into safe mode also I got the following blue screen errors on successive restart of PC A x xC F x x FBA X B STOP C Unable to locate component c x E XC X C XF E XF E I have removed and replaced the hard disk several times I can boot into windows now and can work normally But one of the above Blue sreen My hard disk has passed Short DST and failed Long DST of SeaTools, do the hard disk g errors is coming all of sudden while working on PC It is happening independent of the application I am using And the following messages are coming at the XP welcome screen and while working on the PC A C windows system drivers etc netloc wlt has corrupted and unreadable Perform CKDSK B C windows system drivers etc APPFCONT DAT has corrupted and unreadable Perform CKDSK C C windows system drivers etc idsflt cfg bck has corrupted and unreadable Perform CKDSK D Cagefile sys has corrupted and unreadable Perform CKDSK I have performed CHKDSK on all local drives exept local drive C CHKDSK giving a message that quot can not directly access C drive quot I have performed virus scan with the following software and no virus has found Panda Internet Security Malware Bytes Spybot TrendMicro Housecall Performed Seagate s my hard disk is a seagate hard disk SeaTools hard disk tests Short DST Pass Long DST Fail HDtune software test Pass ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hijack This Log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security TPSrv exe C PROGRAM FILES PANDA SECURITY PANDA INTERNET SECURITY WebProxy exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files McAfee SiteAdvisor McSACore exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PsCtrls exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PavFnSvr exe C Program Files Common Files Panda Security PavShld pavprsrv exe c program files panda security panda internet security firewall PSHOST EXE C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PsImSvc exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PskSvc exe C WINDOWS System TUProgSt exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security pavsrv exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security AVENGINE EXE C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXE C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security APVXDWIN EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Taskbar Shuffle taskbarshuffle exe C Program Files RocketDock RocketDock exe C Program Files ViGlance ViGlance exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files WordWeb wweb exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security SRVLOAD EXE C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PavBckPT exe C Program Files Sify Broadband BBClient exe C Program Files Sify Broadband BBImpSec exe C Program Files Java jre bin java exe C WINDOWS system cmd exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM ping exe C Program Files The KMPlayer KMPlayer exe C Program Files Panda Security Panda Internet Security PAVJOBS EXE C Program Files Googl... Read more

A:My hard disk has passed Short DST and failed Long DST of SeaTools, do the hard disk g

In a Run box, enter "chkdsk /r"
You'll be asked if you want to run chkdsk at the next reboot. Enter "Y".
Reboot, and be prepared to wait, as it may take a long time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-hard-disk-has-passed-short-dst-and-failed-long-dst-of-seatools-do-the-hard-disk-g.860682/
Relevancy 50.31%

Windows XP sp2 wont boot from hard disk.

After much to do turns out my computer doesnt recognise the hard disk.

I have a seagate 500Gb SATA hard drive, its about a year old, the computer doesnt get hot in the slightest and it shouldnt be dead. I checked the wiring, as far as i can see, its all fine.

only conclusion i come to is that my hard disk is kaput which it shouldnt be. Can anyone give me any other possible solutions to try out before i cry and/or spend money on a new one? theres a lot of data on it i dont want to lose.

If not, ill plug it in to another computer to check, i havent done that yet because it will take me hours - i can only unscrew the hard drive from one side without rearranging the room.

ty!

A:Hard disk boot failure -> computer won't recognise hard disk

Is your Seagate the 7200.11 series?

We've been seeing a lot of harddrive issues layely that has nothing to do with the drive itself but bad SATA cables aas the cause. Do you have another one you can switch out?

When you say the computer doesn't recognize it we're talking the BIOS here, correct?

Another suggestion is what you have already suggested but I would "slave" it in antother system and see if you can access it that way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-boot-failure-computer-wont-recognise-hard-disk.150755/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi guys I will try to explain this as simple as i can So let's start my disk,hard Windows about Confused disk on problem hard installing I have laptop ASUS N SF and it is a year old so i have decided to format I have Confused about installing Windows on my hard disk,hard disk problem two separate hard disks that are the same brand SeaGate AS each gb capacity Before i decided to format one of my hard disks that is my partition Confused about installing Windows on my hard disk,hard disk problem D started to make strange noises and it was not recognized but i was using my laptop without problems because my windows was installed on my other hard disk that is my partition C So now my question is this After i formatted them both i have no clue which one is which they are like Disk Partition gb Disk Partition gb So how do i choose the one that is better and not having problems to pust my winodows on I know that i can buy new one and replace it with the one that is having problems but right now i have no money to do that I am student Thanks in advance

A:Confused about installing Windows on my hard disk,hard disk problem

I'm willing to bet that Disk 1 is the bad hard drive since the bad hard drive was the D: drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/292719-confused-about-installing-windows-my-hard-disk-hard-disk-problem.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello

I ve uninstalled Nitro PDF professional after it expired and reinstall it to register but this msg appears:

"multiple restore hard drive operations damaged the license and the product must be
re-registered #2 "

How can I fix that....I neeeed help

A:FIX "multiple restore hard drive operations damaged the license &...."

Hello Lilia

Is the program currently installed or do you get that error before you can install it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/210631-fix-multiple-restore-hard-drive-operations-damaged-license.html
Relevancy 49.02%

i have a 80gb internal hard disk since it was not sufficient i switched up to a 500gb hard disk so i want to know whether i can use my 80gb hard disk as an external hard disk
if so how please instruct me

A:how to change a internal hard disk to a external hard disk

Is the 80gb drive ide or sata?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-change-a-internal-hard-disk-to-a-external-hard-disk.1060457/
Relevancy 49.02%

What is the difference of 3.5 external hard disk (e.g. WD My Book) vs a 3.5 internal hard disk fixed into an enclosure to work like an external hard disk?

Are both good to be use as an external drive to store backup?

What 3.5 enclosure is good?

Thanks

A:3.5 external hard disk vs 3.5 internal hard disk with enclosure?

What do you mean fixed into an enclosure to work like an external drive? Are you referring to a My Book 3.0 VIA USB 3.0.... vs.... an internal SATA III SSD or HDD? Be a little more specific.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/379113-3-5-external-hard-disk-vs-3-5-internal-hard-disk-enclosure.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi..im new on this forum and i have a problem with my old hard disk..every time i turn up my pc, windows pop out message ""Windows detected a hard disk problem" ,"Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss". So i decided to replace my old hard disk, but problem is that i have vista preinstalled on my old hard disk. So my question is how can i install vista from my old hard disk into my new one?..please help me and thank u for your reply

A:how to install preinstalled vista from the old hard disk into the new hard disk?

hi check out this first http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/7...e-failure.html just in case and if you do need to read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-install-preinstalled-vista-from-the-old-hard-disk-into-the-new-hard-disk-342749.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I am having this Hard Disk problem My old Hard Disk Samasung GB bought in started showing signs of corruption like Windows doing chkdsk at every boot and data getting lost So I bought a NEW Hard Disk Western Digital TB last on a hard disk "Windows hard problem" disk new detected month Sep to backup all the data from old one I didn't have time to backup but wanted to use PC so I Clean Installed Windows bit on the New Western Digital TB and used it about a month without any problems A couple of days ago i decided to backup up the data I reformatted the New Western Digital TB with Gparted "Windows detected a hard disk problem" on new hard disk and did a clean Windows Install again I connected the old Samsung GB to the motherboard and started copying the files to the new Western Digital TB Suddenly Windows showed me an error Windows detected a hard disk problem which makes sense because the Samsung GB is old and might be failing BUT the error is showing both of my "Windows detected a hard disk problem" on new hard disk Hard disk in the dialog box Is my new hard disk corrupt as well Why is Windows showing my new hard disk as failing Can Windows mistakenly show both hard disk in error Please help i am confused sorry for a confusing question i will answer anything required I have taken the screenshot of the error message they are in attached files The st Screenshot shows both my Hard disk in the error box OLD Samsung and NEW Western Digital WD The nd Screenshot shows only one of my Hard disk and its the new one Western digital WD

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629435/windows-detected-a-hard-disk-problem-on-new-hard-disk/
Relevancy 48.16%

I will try to keep this as brief as possible and yet give you wise and wonderful tech persons all the information you need to help me Disk Broken Thread similar disk" Hard "Help! Hard Solved: to issue out I am intelligent but NOT a super-user I have an e-machines desktop computer It is old A Cyrix MII processor with upgraded memory I have a gb Maxtor hard drive which is the issue at hand I am running Win My home computer the e-machine desktop is networked through a router with my printer and my business laptop The problem Win loads and boots It LOOKS like it s functioning properly However it cannot read any of the files on the disk When I try it tells me C is inaccessible I can t search explore etc The files are quot non-existent quot I Solved: Hard Disk issue similar to "Help! Broken Hard disk" Thread managed to get Windows to create a backup of it and saved that file to my Laptop Solved: Hard Disk issue similar to "Help! Broken Hard disk" Thread I can only quot assume quot that it actually backed up ALL the files on the drive so they are safe One really ODD thing you should know is Solved: Hard Disk issue similar to "Help! Broken Hard disk" Thread that I cannot get into the BIOS When it boots and usually gives you that second or two to hit F and enter setup doesn t do that any more I sit and hold the F key Nope I ve second-guessed myself and tried the ESC key and the F key I ve tried it with and without the CTRL key Nothing So I can t even tell the silly thing to boot from the CD instead load onto my D backup drive and then kill the C drive It s like it s possessed Things I ve already tried not necessarily in this order I got a paging error while booting so I followed the directions to increase my virtual memory it says there are zero MB of data available on my C drive -- maxed out or non-existent I can t tell -- but it wouldn t allow the change Not enough space Disk Management it says there are no appropriate partitions however it still boots I don t get that After frustration set in and finally getting what I hope will be a good backup I tried to re-format the disk so I could reload Win from the CD It would not re-format Sometimes it said C was inaccessible and sometimes it said the volume was already in use No reformatting I booted into safe mode in Command version It wouldn t read C Inaccessible I tried to boot from the CD and reload Win over the existing The volume is in use I tried to boot from the CD and completely wipe out the disk and re-install Wouldn t do it I tried to simply delete all the data Inaccessible I ve plugged and replugged the cables and swapped them around to make sure it isn t them Still a problem In Safe Mode with Command screen it defaults to c documents and settings administrator I can change the directory to c documents and settings but no lower than that When I try to get a directory list it is inaccessible I tried to repartition it Inaccessible How can it boot and run Win with networking and have zero disk space I would like to retrieve all the data on there and quot fix quot the drive and go on with life However I am willing to trust the backup I made for the miscellaneous files I don t back up regularly quicken amp some others are backed up regularly on my extra drive so they re okay Is that backup going to be worthless all things considered I think that covers it I ll amend this post if I think of anything else you might need to know Thank you in advance I have not been out here for some time but in the past you have been really helpful Thank you Greg nbsp

A:Solved: Hard Disk issue similar to "Help! Broken Hard disk" Thread

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-disk-issue-similar-to-help-broken-hard-disk-thread.384330/
Relevancy 46.87%

the message I get for my HP desktop windows 8hard disk error Hard disk1 (3F1)why and fix it how?edited by moderator: Email address removed for safety

A:What caused & how do I fix Hard Disk error: Hard disk 1 3F1

Check cable connections at back of drive 1 are firmly connected.Try a new SATA cable to drive 1.Test drive 1 with SeaTools: http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/suppor...

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/what-caused-how-do-i-fix-hard-disk-error-hard-disk-1-3f1/1656.html
Relevancy 46.87%

My computer starts up to a black screen displaying smart hard disk error hard disk 1 (301), f2 system diagnostics enter continue start up. Run diagnostics hard drive failed with an error code. Tried to reset bios start up no luck, tried to do the recovery it says pic need to be repaired and won't let me go any further. I lost my recovery discs when I moved into my new house. Help

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Smart-hard-disk-error-hard-disk-1-301/td-p/5690536
Relevancy 46.87%

I have a HP Ency Phoenix - - that had a dead HD I got a good deal on a SSD and thus replaced the drive When I attempted to run the recovery disks I ran into the issue that I kept getting a Hard Drisk Error blue screen at start up nbsp nbsp I found it odd so Disk but Error Hard Disk fine Hard I took the drive and tested it on another computer No issue I've now been able to install windows back on it and even upgraded it to Windows before the deadline but I still get the blue sceen error nbsp nbsp All tests pass for both memory and the hard disk System also runs fine with the exception that when I start up the computer there is a massive delay then I get the Hard Disk Error If I just F kit and then close and continue the system finishes to start up nbsp nbsp I think I may Hard Disk Error but Hard Disk fine be having a firmware issue but HP Assist is installed and all updates are Hard Disk Error but Hard Disk fine suposed to be running nbsp nbsp Anyone outthere running into a similar issue I feel like I'm Hard Disk Error but Hard Disk fine having a false positive since I went up to a Solid State Drive nbsp

A:Hard Disk Error but Hard Disk fine

How much capacity, in GB, does the SSD have? Less than 256GB is unlikely to work with the recovery media.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Hard-Disk-Error-but-Hard-Disk-fine/td-p/5709830
Relevancy 46.87%

HiCan someone please tell me how to copy eveything from hard disk #1 to hard disk #2then remove hard disk #1 and use hard disk #2 in its place..???I have tried a few different things that I know of and i'm out of ideas!Any help will be much appreciated!RegardsJim

A:Hard Disk To Hard Disk (straight Copy!)

Download Digital Dolly 1.0 and burn an .iso image to a CD. Create a folder on your computer to DL Digital Dolly to. Unzip DD in the same folder. Te create a bootable image.Use the Drive Image feature in DD to copy all the information From drive C:\ to D:\.MOD: Cleaned up mispelled word and poor sentence structure (Like you can see a difference).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43765/hard-disk-to-hard-disk-straight-copy/
Relevancy 46.87%

Got some problem here,just recently bought SATA 3.0 hard disk(samsung)and i forgot if my motherboard support this hard disk,after checking it only supports 1.5 SATA.I visited samsung website on how to force my Hard disk to run at 1.5,
I'd follow what the site told me to do but no luck still got the same problem ("Hardware Initiate failed,Please check device) (The BIOS does not be installed)

Anyone got an idea how to fix this,might be some BIOS set-up?Kindly walk me through,Im still using my trusted desktop Motherboard Asrock p4v8+ BIOS P1.50.Badly need help

Relevancy 46.87%

My hard disk C drive where the windows is is going to fail soon It has some bad sectors is a how failing, change new disk? disk hard to to Hard and some corrupted parts and I Hard disk is failing, how to change to a new hard disk? encountered blue screen that says something about hardware failure When my Acronis is doing backup Acronis stopped half way because it cannot access some sectors to do the backup it was fine previously I can still login to windows depends on luck I want Hard disk is failing, how to change to a new hard disk? to change to a new hard disk what is the Hard disk is failing, how to change to a new hard disk? best fastest way to do it If I copy the whole disk to another new disk would I encounter problems copying half way since there a Will the data copied to new hard disk be incomplete since there are bad corrupted sectors on my old hard disk My old hard disk is TB WD Black What should I use for the new hard disk Does it need to be same size and model Thanks a lot Greatly appreciate your help I do know how to change a hard disk and reinstall Windows Windows updates took a long time and install all programs again and setup again That would take a few days so I am wondering if there is a faster way

A:Hard disk is failing, how to change to a new hard disk?

If you don`t have a complete backup image, then there`s nothing you can do about it. You`re gonna have to re install windows.

Get your data off before the drive dies.

Your new drive does not have to be the same size and model, you can get whatever you want.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/376356-hard-disk-failing-how-change-new-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 45.15%

when starting my computer, and no boot disk is inserted, i get the error message:"HARD DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK PRESS ENTER" when a boot disk is inserted, windows xp starts up if no button is pressed after a boot disk is inserted. I cant work out how to boot from hard disk immediately, and it is set as primary boot device. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!!

A:Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk Press Enter

Just go into the Bios and (For my motherbaord) in Advanced BIOS Features, set primary, seconday etc boot devices as you like.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk-press-enter.40225/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi i have a Gb western digital hard drive with C and D drives i partitioned Press Insert System And Enter Disk Disk Hard Boot Failure them the D drive has all my gaming applications on it and the C drive has all the files for windows and other crap like firefox etc I was once reformatting to XP from Vista and in the middle of reformat my computer shut down causing a major problem the answer was my graphics card died Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk And Press Enter now i have an EVGA Mb GT with DX I brought the drive Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk And Press Enter to my neighbors house and he can use it just fine it boots and everything but the problem is that when i bring it to my house and i insert the drive it goes to the Nvidia Boot Agent and after a while displays HARD DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER My current BIOS Boot order is Floppy CD and then Hard Disk Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk And Press Enter I don t know why it wont boot but the copy of XP has been verified and it works great on my friends computer why won t it start on mine Please help me nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk-and-press-enter.637598/
Relevancy 45.15%

I've got a problem with my brothers laptop.

It is an old AMS Power CD, with win. 95. When I turn it on, it begins to boot. The screen reads:
BIOS 1.23, CPU = Pentium 100 MHz
640K System RAM Passed
23552K Extended RAM Passed
256K Cache SRAM Passed
System BIOS Shadowed
Video BIOS Shadowed
Mouse Initialized

Then in a red flashing box in the middle of the screen it reads: "Couldn't reset hard disk system Save to Disk feature is disabled"

Then, "Operating system not found" below

I would much appreciate any help or assistance I can find.

A:Couldn't reset hard disk system, save to disk feature is disabled

I'd bet the harddrive has a loose connection or completely failed. If you don't know how to take it apart and check it take it to an expert.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/couldnt-reset-hard-disk-system-save-to-disk-feature-is-disabled.47192/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,
my hp dv6443 laptop harddrive was erased by killdisk to get rid of scripts or whatever was causing the sluggish performance. The windows version was Vista home. When trying to reboot from the original disk recovery cd to get the maching working again, the err2err3 displayed at start up. I have read about creating a bootable cd with partition recovery, but have been unable to figure out how to create one. I can drop the free partition builder programs onto a cd, but I don't know how to make it "bootable". But I may be going down the wrong path. Any ideas? Is this problem fixable, or should I just throw the computer away. Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/err2err3-after-wiping-hard-drive-with-kill-disk-and-wont-boot-from-recovery-disk.979549/
Relevancy 45.15%

hi sir im vijay im usin tb segate new hard disk sir in my system i cant able to boot my os and also my hard disk its showin that hard disk boot failure insert system disk press enter i restarted many times its sayin the same problem in my gigabite mobo bios my hard disk is not get detected sir the problem is that wen im installin the new os for nd time its all went nice only sir but at the completion of the os it wil ask for system enter disk press failure boot insert hard disk the user name and password but in my system its frozen sir fully of black screen and i cant able to do anythin so i restarted my system from that im gettin this error as hard disk boot failure insert system disk press enter that my new hard disk and all of my data is in that hard disk only this problem arises wen im installing the os for nd time sir till now its showin the same error sir plz help me im so confused

A:hard disk boot failure insert system disk press enter

Repair MBR:

Boot From the Windows Install Disc
The first thing you?ll need to do is boot off the install disc, and then click through until you see the ?Repair your computer? link in the lower left-hand corner.
You?ll need to choose the correct installation of Windows and then click the Next button.
And then you?ll get to the System Recovery Options screen, where you can get to the Command Prompt.

Repairing the Master Boot Record:

If you want to restore the master boot record, you can simply type in the following command:

bootrec /fixmbr

You can also write a new boot sector onto the system partition with this command (which is often more useful):

bootrec /fixboot

And of course, if you just use bootrec /? you?ll be able to see all the options.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/221838-hard-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk-press-enter.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I've had my Acer Aspire 5310 laptop for a few months now with Windows Vista. I have an 80GB hard drive, partitioned into two drives as default.

Until now I've never noticed that the numbers didn't add up. I know when you buy and 80GB hard drive, it should actually show up as less due to bits and bytes and what not (80GB=74GB roughly) but I found something fishy in Disk Management. There is a drive showing up with no letter assigned to it which is nearly 10GB in size and after doing the math it accounts for the 10GB i lack after adding my two 32GB hard drives together.

So I have 2 x 32GB drives plus this weird drive which is 10.

I have attached the screenshot of disk management.

If anyone knows what is going on here I would very much appreciate it!

Cheers, Darren (newbie)

A:Problem with Vista Disk Management/Being robbed of hard disk space!

has this just recently appeared? This is a longshot, but if you have Kaspersky lap installed then that could be the problem. It autologs roughly 10 gigs of data without your permission, it is easy to get rid of, but annoying none the less.
However this doesn't seem to likely as what seems to have happened here is that you have accidently split one of your hard drives into two. Either that or a program like deamon tools has created a virtual drive. Do you use either deamon tools or alcohol 120?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problem-with-vista-disk-management-being-robbed-of-hard-disk-space-236115.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi peeps and thanks in advance for any help you can give me My laptop is doing my head in thanks to its new-found ability to chew up free disk space on my C drive Not sure if this problem has been on-going for a few weeks or something but it's come to a head now A few bits of info that might be handy Vista Home Premium bit laptop constantly disappearing (writing?) running Hard and space disk disk is about three years old GB HDD partitioned into a C and a D both with approx GB total space according to Properties The story goes like this Got low disk space warning pop up something like MB left - thought that this was entirely plausible since my wife keeps taking videos of our little baby on her camera and saving them on the lappy Decided to move some User folders from the C to the D and in the process moved about GB which then freed up several Hard disk constantly running (writing?) and disk space disappearing gig of space on the C drive Then I noticed that this was consistently dropping and the HDD light was flickering all the time even when the laptop was not in use Updated and ran all the following programs AVG Free CCleaner CWShredder Malwarbytes - and nothing untoward reported Booted into safe mode and ran the programs again and still nothing reported Accessed VSS records via a command prompt and this was set to UNBOUNDED maximum capacity and showing as GB in use on disk so revised this down to GB a cautious approach I admit and freed up a bit more space but this again is slowly being reduced Ran WinDirStat and this is showing that the C drive is GB in use - when I right-click the C drive in Explorer and go to Properties Explorer says that GB is in use and this figure is increasing Interestingly when I select all the directories and files in C and all hidden files and folders are shown by the way this totals GB Any suggestions would be gratefully received - I was almost hoping it was malware as at least it'd be an answer to the mystery but so far it's not looking like it unless you people can suggest something I have missed Many thanks Andrew

A:Hard disk constantly running (writing?) and disk space disappearing

Andrew
First, lets find out what is on the drive
JDiskReport or my preference
http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/...-10614593.html

This link may help and give information.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/0...pace-in-vista/

Scan with your antivirus
Scan with malwarebytes. Did you update, when you ran your report?

Space is probably being taken by restore points, Did you check for that possiblity?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/284385-hard-disk-constantly-running-writing-disk-space-disappearing.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I have created a Bart PE bootable XP cd.
I can boot into windows using this CD
I would like to know how to copy the data in my hard disk to pen drive or flash drive.

Thank you.

A:How to copy data from hard disk to pen drive using Bart PE bootable disk?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-copy-data-from-hard-disk-to-pen-drive-using-bart-pe-bootable-disk.861107/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello everbody a reluctant famliy computer fixer here so here s the story- we have a Gateway GM desktop computer that had the hard drive fail here are the computer specs that I started out with ProcessorAMD Athlon X -bit dual core processor Operates at GHz x KB L cache MHz vista mc recovery disk replcemnt disk hard reloading from Solved: system bus Chipset NVIDIA GeForce SE MemoryInstalled MB DDR MHz PC - dual channel memory two MB DIMMs Expandable to GB DDR DIMM slots Hard Drive Solved: hard disk replcemnt reloading vista mc from recovery disk Western Digital Caviar Blue GB RPM SATA II hard drive Optical Drive DVD RW X super multi-format dual layer drive Write max X DVD R X DVD-RW X DVD-R DL X DVD RW X DVD R DL X DVD-RAM X CD-R X CD-RW Read max X DVD-ROM X DVD-RAM X CD-ROM Video NVIDIA GeForce GT MB DirectX and Blu-ray HD DVD capable One DVI-I port with HDCP One HDMI port One S-Video port includes DVI-VGA Dongle AudioIntegrated -Channel High Definition AudioNetwork SupportIntegrated MARVELL E Ethernet Modem K ITU V ready fax modem Power Supply watt VideoNVIDIA GeForce GT MB Read max X DVD-ROM X DVD-RAM X CD-ROM http support gateway com s PC R sp shtml I took that hard drive out and replaced it with a Western Digital Caviar Black TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive for Desktops TB maximum storage capacity Serial ATA interface Data transfer rates up to Gbps rpm for fast read write times MB cache buffer http www bestbuy com site Western Drive for Desktops p id TSG SysInfo Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium bit Processor AMD Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Standard VGA Graphics Adapter Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ELITEGROUP MCP PM-AM Antivirus None Here s the problem I got the new hard drive in and used the gateway recovery disk That loaded windows vista media center I tried to view a video that came in pre loaded in MC and this is the messege I got Video Errror files needed to display video are not installed or not working correctly Please restart WMC or restart computer then this WMC Tv and video may not work as expected because the video card does not meet the minimum memory requirement of MB of video Ram if you Consistantly encounter errors with TV or Video Please update the video driver or install a new video card I did close everything down and reboot but no fix So I can plug things in and follow directions but I am at my limit here Everything was working except the harddrive before the crash so I don t think I need a new video card I do not have this computer on line because I ve got no antivirus on it yet Sorry this is such a long post I am hoping this is enough info I thank you all in advance What to do next RexAnneC nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

I have created a Bart PE bootable XP cd.
I can boot into windows using this CD
I would like to know how to copy the data in my hard disk to pen drive or flash drive.

Thank you.

A:How to copy data from hard disk to pen drive using Bart PE bootable disk?

When it comes to actually using the BartPE disc, you?ll need to first enter your BIOS and set the CDROM drive as your primary boot device, this is the default setting in most computers.Once BartPE is loading, when prompted for network support, click ?no? if you do not need it like in this case to save yourself some time.Click on Go , Programs, A43 File Management UtilityThis will open a similar program to windows explorer so you can copy your data before formatting. Locate the hard disk where your windows installation is on, select the folders you want to backup and copy them to the other partition or hard disk.If you have an external USB hard disk and want to copy your data on it, make sure you connect it to the computer before you boot with the BartPE disk.http://reanimatepc.com

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/257800/how-to-copy-data-from-hard-disk-to-pen-drive-using-bart-pe-bootable-disk/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello So I recently installed Windows Home Premium on an Acer Aspire I've been having a bunch of issues with it since the install Firstly When I boot it takes me to the quot Disk Check quot screen and tells me that one of my and Hard Frequent Disk Disk Errors Check Freezes, auto BSOD, cancels, disks needs to be checked for consistency However the disk in question isn't something like quot C quot or quot D quot it's quot volume c afec Frequent Freezes, BSOD, Disk Check auto cancels, and Hard Disk Errors -cb - e - - e f e quot The disk check also automatically cancels It doesn't prompt me with the usual quot Press any button to stop the disk check quot option just straight to quot Disk check has been cancelled quot When I eventually get to the desktop I get the screen quot Windows detected a hard disk problem quot I look at the details and I'm told that my C drive has been reporting failures When I check the status of the disk via the Disk Management tool I'm told that all my partitions are healthy When I actually use the laptop it's very slow and frequently freezes It takes a while to catch back up and sometimes these freezes lead to a BSOD The Frequent Freezes, BSOD, Disk Check auto cancels, and Hard Disk Errors BSOD message was KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR I checked the event viewer and it Frequent Freezes, BSOD, Disk Check auto cancels, and Hard Disk Errors also seemed that before certain crashes I would have driver controller error on an IDE Port I've attached a picture of the disk check screen event viewer and memory dump I apologize about the quality of the pictures I couldn't screenshot the images on the actual laptop as it was freezing and crashing too often I really hope this isn't a problem with the hardware itself and thank you to anyone that can help me out with this problem Pictures DISK CHECK BSOD EVENT LOG - Album on Imgur Files Attachment

A:Frequent Freezes, BSOD, Disk Check auto cancels, and Hard Disk Errors

Code:
DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware
Ensure all data is backed up, then run the DOS version of the LONG test of SeaTools, and report the result:
SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/364244-frequent-freezes-bsod-disk-check-auto-cancels-hard-disk-errors.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey Guys Looking for your advice and any links if any cheers in advance My Situation In December I purchased a Toshiba Qosmio X - Model No PQX A- X J At the time I upgraded my purchase from Toshiba Reseller BD U going from the standard x GB Sata drive x GB SSD to instead having x GB sata drives I purchased with year onsite next business day warranty that is is now expired It came loaded with MS Win Premium Home Edition Recovery X500/00X Drive or Separate Reset) Hard Disk Qosmio Disk From (Factory System - but no disks Qosmio X500/00X System Recovery (Factory Reset) From Hard Disk Drive or Separate Disk provided My Needs I need want to factory reset my PC - Qosmio X500/00X System Recovery (Factory Reset) From Hard Disk Drive or Separate Disk its starting to run slowI need to re-partition from my existing x partitions to just having The Issues Possibly as a result of upgrading the disk drives at time of purchase I don't believe I have a hidden Recovery partition in order to do a System Recovery from the Hard Disk Drive - see image of my current partitions attached I don't have Win OS installation disks or Toshiba Driver disks as they should have been installed by Toshiba My Questions Do You agree that I DONT have a Recovery Partition - when looking at the partition image I'm confused on this point coz people say its hidden Given I have no Toshiba Drivers Disk or Windows OS disks - what should I do I'm thinking of downloading Win use my product key from sticker under PC and making a disk USB but need to learn how Is this where I get ALL necessary Toshiba drivers for my PC from Does Toshiba provide a link on its site and instructions on where to get Win from so I can make a recover disk Notes Tried to email Toshiba support but at step of their email process validation failed due to my PC being out of warranty so will call them on Monday instead THANK YOU THANK YOU for any help you can give big ro small Cheers Rick

A:Qosmio X500/00X System Recovery (Factory Reset) From Hard Disk Drive or Separate Disk

Sorry the model is Qosmio X500/00X

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?82759-Qosmio-X500-00X-System-Recovery-(Factory-Reset)-From-Hard-Disk-Drive-or-Separate-Disk
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi, My Seagate 2TB external hard disk is not getting detected by my PC, doesn't show in 'Safely remove hardware' option.

However, based on one old thread, I installed Partition Recovery Wizard and this is how the scan looks. Please help.

A:External Hard Disk not detected, visible in Disk Manager

Please find the screenshot of disk management

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/399017-external-hard-disk-not-detected-visible-disk-manager.html
Relevancy 44.72%

If I am saving a backup to internal hard disk vs USB 3.0/2.0 USB external hard disk

1. Backing up to an internal 3.5 hard disk vs backing up to an external 2.5 hard disk using USB 3.0, roughly how much extra time would the external backup need to complete the backup process?

2. Backing up to an internal 3.5 hard disk vs backing up to an external 2.5 hard disk using USB 2.0, roughly how much extra time would the external backup need to complete the backup process?

Thanks

A:Speed of saving to internal hard disk vs USB 3.0/2.0 external disk?

There's no definitive answer, it would all depend on which internal drives you had (SSD/HDD, SATA 6GB, SATA 3GB) and which external drives you had and their relative transfer speeds. It's all just guesswork without that info.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/379042-speed-saving-internal-hard-disk-vs-usb-3-0-2-0-external-disk.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi

1. I have Win7 64-bit installed.

2. Earlier I installed MySQL and created database (size: 2 GB) in my D: drive (size: 52.8 GB).

3. Then I formatted my C: drive and installed Win7 again. As a result, MySQL got uninstalled and something happened to the database in D: drive.

4. After the new Win7 installation, My Computer shows D: [50.8 GB free of 52.8 GB] but the disk is empty.

5. How do I recover these 2 GBs?
Regards
Arpit

A:Hard Disk space seen as occupied... But disk is empty inside

Post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management, showing all the details of the D drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/214707-hard-disk-space-seen-occupied-but-disk-empty-inside.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have two hard disks, one Seagate 120 GB one and another Maxtor d540x-4d
5400 rpm 40 GB UATA/100 drive. My problem is that the maxtor drive used to
work fine, but recently, it is recognized by BIOS and Device Manager in
Windows, but it is not shown by either the logical disk manager in disk
management or My computer. What is the problem? Any remedies? THanking you

A:Hard Disk recognized by bios, but not by My computer/Disk Manager

You need to partition and format a drive to see it as a drive letter in Windows.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-recognized-by-bios-but-not-by-my-computer-disk-manager.22019/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have IOmega 1 TB hard drive. 2 days ago, my comp restarted suddenly after which my external drive is corrupted.

I get the error 'H: is not accessble' The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable.
It shows up in the disk management as RAW file system,

I have almost 700 GB of important documents, pictures & files that I don't want to lose.
Does anybody know of any good recovery software that can help.

A:Hard disk Error - The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable.

Hi r4hara,

Welcome to SevenForums.

You seem to have lost the partition somehow and that seems to be the reason why it had turned RAW.

IMO, the best free software to do the recovery from a RAW disk is Test Disk. TestDisk - CGSecurity

It can be a little daunting for the first time user, and so take your time to read through all the documentation.

First use PhotoRec in it - which does not write anything to the drive in question - and try to recover the files.

Then you can use TestDisk and try to rewrite the partition. Some people have reported that even after restoring the partition with TestDisk, the drive remained RAW but they were able to recover most files using the option to copy.

Whether PhotoRec or TestDisk, it is going to take a lot of time to recover the files. Copy them to another external drive with adequate capacity.

You may find some help here to understand the usage.

Guide to using PhotoRec recovery software.

Regain a lost drive using Test Disk - An Illustrated Guide

Good luck.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/252084-hard-disk-error-disk-structure-corrupted-unreadable.html
Relevancy 44.72%

o k so heres my problem im curently defragmenting my HD i have two partitions my C drive and my D drive i have my OS installed in my C drive and alot of other things So when i first started defragmenting my C drive i had GB of free space and i left to go eat taco bell XD and when i came back it was around done but the free space was down to ONLY GB so iv looked evrywhere and foun lots of people had this Disk Disk Lost Hard Solved: After Defragment Space problem didnt quite find Solved: Lost Hard Disk Space After Disk Defragment a solution though and BTW im stil defragmenting im writing this but i might just end it becouse it started going really slow im assuing becouse i have no free space left on that partition Another important thing is that im NOT using the disk defragmentor that comes with the OS im using one called quot Piriform Defraggler quot and before that i used the default one that came with the os and it said that it was defragmented but when i analyzed it with the other program it said it was like fragmented So if theres ny more info u guys need just let me know and i dont know if my HD space will come back after i close the program but idk il let u guys know becouse i might just close it out now becouse i dont think it will finish any time soon so plz help me out with this problem and thanx in advance nbsp

A:Solved: Lost Hard Disk Space After Disk Defragment

KK..im sry guys....i was just doing sum "reasearch"..and found out how to fix it....it turns out i had to resize the maximun ammount or shadow copy space..or sumthing like that....i had to do it in the cmd prompt...so ya...

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-lost-hard-disk-space-after-disk-defragment.1012233/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi, My Seagate 2TB external hard disk is not getting detected by my PC, doesn't show in 'Safely remove hardware' option.

However, based on one old thread, I installed Partition Recovery Wizard and this is how the scan looks. Please help.

A:External Hard Disk not detected, visible in Disk Manager

Please find the screenshot of disk management

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/399017-external-hard-disk-not-detected-visible-disk-manager.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I am facing problem of unable to shrink c drive in my windows 7 home premium.I have read everyone writing in about not to change the hard disk to dynamic type,but after partitioning one time using disk management now all my partitions are dynamic type & I still have 288gb left in c drive.
I need help.

A:hard disk changed to dynamic type after using disk management

Read this tutorial on how to covert back from Dynamic. Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/241814-hard-disk-changed-dynamic-type-after-using-disk-management.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I am preparing for a hard disk crash.

I purchased a new PC with Windows 7 in June 2012. It came with a Samsung optical disk containing Windows 7. I am eligible for the $14.99 USD upgrade to Windows 8. Will there be an installation disk for Windows 8 available at this price and if not, then how much more will it cost?

If not, then how should I ensure that I can easily install Windows 8 after a hard disk crash? Do I have to keep my Samsung optical disk of Windows 7?

A:optical disk installation of Windows 8 after a hard disk crash

Quote: Originally Posted by broiyan

I am preparing for a hard disk crash.

I purchased a new PC with Windows 7 in June 2012. It came with a Samsung optical disk containing Windows 7. I am eligible for the $14.99 USD upgrade to Windows 8. Will there be an installation disk for Windows 8 available at this price and if not, then how much more will it cost?

If not, then how should I ensure that I can easily install Windows 8 after a hard disk crash? Do I have to keep my Samsung optical disk of Windows 7?

I'm not positive, but I'd guess a $14.99 price for Win 8 would be a download, unless Samsung is offering some special promotional price for a disc.

I've seen a price of $69.99 for Windows 8 Professional, which I think is for a disc.

I'd find out what that $14.99 price is good for. It may be for an ISO download, in which case you could burn the ISO to a disc.

I'd keep the Windows 7 disc regardless. If you are like most people, you probably will find 7 preferable to 8.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/259862-optical-disk-installation-windows-8-after-hard-disk-crash.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello Members!I have a Windows 8 OS backup on a Pen-drive & mine is a branded PC from HP~ AIO make.Is it possible to format the entire Hard-drive to reclaim the Space used by Recovery Image desk (D:)? Can someone please help guide me on how to format an entire Hard-drive (both C: & D:) in context to an HP Desktop environment?Help will be sincerely appreciated.Thank you.

A:Is it possible to recover the Hard-disk space utilised by Recovery Disk(D:)?

Yes. But not-recommended.The recovery partition  is the only way you have to repair your system in the event of a failure. The computer makers now want you to use that recover if ever a major failure makes your computer unusable. If you need more storage for your photos and videos, consider these methods:A. Use DVD discs to store photos and videos.B. Use a cloud service to save your most important information. C. Purchase in economic external hard drive for extra storage.It would be a b ad idea to format our hard drive unless there was something urgent.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,157377.0.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi please and corrupt disk disk accessible file hard not system can you help I have a Gb Seagate Barracuda ATA internal hard drive which is mounted in a Safecom usb firewire external caddy It has partitions a Gb FAT drive and the rest divided into logical NTFS hard disk file system corrupt and disk not accessible drives of Gb and Gb I have only had the disk a couple of months Shortly after I purchased the disk I had a power failure whilst scan disk was running on one of the NTFS drives Upon reboot XP did not recognise the NTFS drives reporting that the file system was corrupt the FAT drive was fine and accessible I managed to recover all my files mostly mp s and movie files from both NTFS drives using hard disk file system corrupt and disk not accessible GetDataBack reformatted the disk replaced the partitions for good measure and reinstalled my backup Since then I haven t really had cause to use hard disk file system corrupt and disk not accessible the disk so it has remained switched off but today I needed to transfer some files across for backup purposes Having done this I then did a bit of housekeeping deleted a few files and moved a few folders around on the disk Then explorer crashed and after I managed to recover from the explorer crash I found that the NTFS partitions were once again inaccessible in XP XP reporting that the file system is corrupt once again Once again the FAT drive is accessible I am currently running GetDataBack again and it looks likely that it might find all the files again I hope I originally purchased the disk to backup my main hard drive which I needed to perform a clean install on this has been done I run ewido spyware blaster adaware se spybot search and destroy avg and look n stop firewall I m pretty certain that there are no XP problems malware or viruses on my pc Can anyone suggest any ideas as to why this might be happening Could it be that this disk is incompatible with my caddy or does it sound like there is a problem with the disk itself Would the disk be less likely to have problems if I mounted it internally Obviously I don t feel overconfident about using this disk for backup purposes anymore thanks nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

I started with a 40 gig for my primary drive
When I install the new western digital WD2500BB 250 gig hard drive I first I get:

CD-rom : Sony DVD-Rom DDU1615
no IDE fixed disk present
press F1 to save

Then
Disk: 40.0 GB [email protected]@[email protected]
press F1 to save

Then
Disk: 250 GB WDC WD2500BB-14RDA0
press F1 to save

Then I get the error message:
non system disk or disk error
replace and strike any key when ready

I think I need to format my new hard drive but I can't figure out how to get that far.
Any help will be greatly appreciated I'm trying to upgrade this PC for my kids.

Thanks

A:new hard drive causing nonsystem disk or disk error

If you would provide the make and modle of the machine to be upgraded, I will try to assist. It could be as easy as configuring a BIOS setting.

Cheers

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/431673/new-hard-drive-causing-nonsystem-disk-or-disk-error/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a problem regarding my external Toshiba hard disk 500 GB where it can?t be detected in my computer and also disk management. I have formatted the external HD since I was asked to format it when an error popped up.
So I formatted it and after the formatting completed, I tried to connect the hard disk to my Windows Win 7 laptop. When I connect it to the laptop, it can?t be detected and yet the hard disk is blinking with its white light like it used to when it is connected to the laptop. I tried the disk management thingy, but it can?t detect my hard disk. I tried in other laptops but the result is same
What can I do to make it better? Please help me.

A:External hard disk not detected in My Computer and in Disk Management

First off, how old is your Toshiba external HDD? Also, when it starts to spin up, do you hear any sort of clicking or whining noise?

If you hear any noises that sound off, it's possible your external HDD is failing.

When you formatted it, what file system did you use to do so? Because sometimes even if Windows can't detect it, I have had success with booting with a Ubuntu Live CD, and then connecting the external HDD in order to format it that way. It all has to do with how Windows formats HDD's and how Ubuntu and other Linux systems do.

If you can I recommend downloading Ubuntu onto a CD and boot to it on one of your computers, in the Live CD mode, so it doesn't install anything. Once its loaded, plug in the Toshiba and try to format it as NTFS (this is important, because Ubuntu doesn't use it as a native file system, so you need to make sure that NTFS is selected on the format window, not EXT4 or the other types of Linux OS File Systems)

If it doesn't work, post back here, and I will see if I can help you some more. Also feel free to PM me if you have any other issues.

Regards,
-Alex

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-disk-not-detected-in-my-computer-and-in-disk-management.185432/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello,

I have started using my nice new Satellite T110-12. How can I create a recovery disk?

Why there is a frequent message about vibration has been detected, hard drive head disk has been moved to a safe position? Is there something wrong? Should I return it before the week is up?

Please answer, many many thanks!

A:Satellite T110-121 - Question about recovery disk and hard disk

Hi LindaMon,

> How can I create a recovery disk?
What about reading your user manual?
You need an 8GB USB stick for creating a recovery medium and preinstalled Toshiba recovery disk creator.

> hard drive head disk has been moved to a safe position?
Yes, that?s normal and everything is ok with your notebook. Your HDD will be protected by HDD/SSD Alert utility that is a nice feature from Toshiba to avoid head crashes and can enhance the life of internal HDD.
But yoou can disable these notifications if you want. ;)

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?56539-Satellite-T110-121-Question-about-recovery-disk-and-hard-disk
Relevancy 44.72%

I formatted my hard drive today and after a reboot I got the message quot Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk And Press Enter quot If I insert my Vista disk hit f at startup and go to boot screen click on boot from CD then bypass the boot from CD option it will start Vista I have checked my boot sequence and it shows booting from the right drive My hard drives are SATA Im stumped fellas Asus M N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard Two Hard drives but the second just for Disk Hard Disk Insert Boot Failure System backup not in RAID This is what my system information tool says Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk on the hard drives Type Vendor Model Size Interface Temperature Direct Access Device HDS VLSA SCSI Disk Device GBytes IDE RAID Direct Access Device Western Digital WDC WD AAJS- PSA SCSI Disk Device GBytes IDE RAID Direct Access Device SanDisk SanDisk U Cruzer Micro USB Device MBytes USB USB DVD TSSTcorp SanDisk U Cruzer Micro USB Device USBSTOR RAID DVD SanDisk TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S N SCSI CdRom Device SCSI USB

A:Hard Disk Boot Failure Insert System Disk

UPDATE:

Changed my partition to active and re-booted, gave me this: "BOOTMGR missing"

Tried to repair with CD and the operating system was showing up on D:, dont know if this is usual but thought it show show C:

Went to Cromt in repair option and tried to rebuild bootmgr with this command:
"bootrec/rebuildbcd" restarted computer............BOOTMGR missing

Was then able to boot from second hard drive (D from boot screen.......finally gave up and formatted again......works fine now.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/256946-hard-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello,

I have run into a problem that has been causing me quite a bit of headache as of late. A week ago, my WD Elements External Hard Disk is not displaying under hard disk drives, but does display under Devices and Printers. This is what it shows under computer management:

I have tried to initialize the disk using MBR and GPT options but failed receiving I/O Disk Error.

Please help, thank you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/401581-windows-7-disk-2-external-hard-disk-unknown-not-initialized.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Couple of hours ago my Windows 7 could not recognize my external USB hard disk (Maxtor Basic). It came up on Disk Management and Device Manager but not on My Computer. However I fixed it (by deleting its line off regedit in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, plugging out the ext. HD and plugging back in). Windows automatically installed the drivers and I could access the drive.

But now Windows shows my Maxtor as a fixed disk drive, instead of "devices with removable storage". I still have the option to "Safely remove hardware and eject media" from taskbar, however I rather have Windows treating it as a Removable USB Storage so that the disk can sleep when not in use. I am pretty sure it has something to do with regedit, so any help would be appreciated.

A:USB external hard disk shows up as internal fixed disk

Welcome to Windows 7 Support Forums, Sactyr.
A word of caution! Its never a good idea to alter your register,
IMHO please review your device manager and check your devices for your disk drives, check for any warnings in the driver area.
I'm attaching my screenshot for comparison as I have a similar configuration.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/93610-usb-external-hard-disk-shows-up-internal-fixed-disk.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello all Specs Asus P N-E SLI Intel Q ghz Micron GB RAM x GB SATA Hitachi x GB IDE Seagate Baracuda nVidia gt Ultra Wat PSU Ever since i bought my new to Slow hard Transfer drive [SOLVED] Slow Rates(Hard Time, drive) Boot motherboard Asus P N-E [SOLVED] Slow Boot Time, Slow Transfer Rates(Hard drive to hard drive) SLI and SATA hard drives my IDE hard drive was messing up I can not load up Windows on it When i install Winxp x on one of my gb hard drives it loads but not fast Before [SOLVED] Slow Boot Time, Slow Transfer Rates(Hard drive to hard drive) WinXP loads progress bar and logo the screen stays balck for about secs or so before it reaches the load screen And right before it reaches the load screen there is a gray load bar on the bottom of the screen Then comes the GUI progress bar It takes about another secs for it to fully load into windows When I unplug the IDE hard drive the gray load bar does not appear and the load time is very quick seconds or so Also when I try to transfer data from SATA hard drive to IDe gigs would take around mins or so Is there a way I can fix this issue Thanks

A:[SOLVED] Slow Boot Time, Slow Transfer Rates(Hard drive to hard drive)

Transferring files from SATA to IDE is a process- and IDE is no where near as fast as SATA, so you can expect some transfer times there. For the boot issue, it sounds like the computer is confused on what to load at first. Check your startup and recovery options by right-clicking my computer, advanced, startup and recovery, and see if multiple opearting systems are there. If so, remove the one that you know you don't want to load by editing the file.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-slow-boot-time-slow-transfer-rates-hard-drive-to-hard-drive-258028.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I have an external hard disk which got corrupted. When i connect the disk through USB it shows as an unknown device in the disk management with no option to format.

In My computer the device is showing as H: drive but unable to access it. It asks if i want to format or not but when i go for format it does not do it. I want to erase the disk completely as of now. What should i do??

I tried to load it from linux but there it shows as Device Error. Disk Failure is Imminent.

Can something be done or is it a hardware failure.

A:External Hard disk showing as RAW in disk management

Sounds like the drive is failing or the circuitry in the enclosure is faulty.

I would first remove the drive from the enclosure and hook it up as a slave to a desktop PC. See if you can then access it. If you can, then post back for further instructions with the version of your OS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-showing-as-raw-in-disk-management.1024550/