Windows Support Forum

Hardware and Software Question - DVD Server

Q: Hardware and Software Question - DVD Server

Greetings,
I am waist deep in home automation...trek homes you know. So I've of course ripped all my CD's for multi-zone multi-amp multi-soundcard music.

Now the final entertainment piece would be to rip all my DVDs for two reasons: 1 to protect my original DVDs from getting scratched (kids) and 2 so with the touch of a finger on my wi-fi touchpad I can load a movie sit back and relax.

I do not want to go the mult-Dvd disc changer. As with the multi-CD changers I see this as a dinasoaur.

With that Said:

Hardware: What would be the best quality video card for movie playing, HDTV etc. Estimated minimum Drive Requirements? 250GIG?

Server Config: Dell Dual drive raid server. 1 gig of ram. AMD chip? Harddrive sizes? Will of course take server recomendations from this wealth of knowledge.

Recomendations on Projectors?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Hardware and Software Question - DVD Server

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Hardware and Software Question - DVD Server

KD,

As far as the "server" specs go, since you are apparently going to buy a Pre-Manufactured unit, eg, Dell, and obviously you don't want to limit your pleasure by anything as trivial as MONEY....Just buy the biggest most badass unit they offer.

And if it is specified as Multi-media, it "should" lean in the direction you want. As for the HD capacity...since you are talking about ARCHIVING all of you CD's and DVD's to Hard Disk, 250GB should be sufficient...for your FIRST hard drive !!! Go on from there.

As for projectors...as a friend of mine always says, "You never have to make excuses for buying the best." Pick up a magazine and check out the reviews.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hardware-and-software-question-dvd-server.314870/
Relevancy 18.49%

I've done no overclocking, no advanced work whatsoever. Every time I try to google my issue, all of the solutions seem to be based around the person with the issue overclocking their system thus causing high tempuratures. This is not that issue.

On to the actual problem, my motherboard reports temperatures of 69c when running any program that takes any worthwhile amount of system resources (and some that don't), in particular, most games. CPU and GPU tempuratures seem far lower, around 30-40c. Assuming the sensor isn't to blame (and it isn't, if the feel of the case is any indication), are there any reliable ways to lower MB tempurature with simple BIOS and power settings?

Running an old F1a55-M (FM1) on Win 7 Home Premium, SP1.

EDIT: The motherboard idles at 47, which also seems high. I've changed locations for better airflow several times and wonder if I just flat-out need a larger case.

A:Question re: system temperatures

Fans running, dust?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-re-system-temperatures.217445/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hey,
I recently decided I'm going to start using my old laptop again. I swapped the hard drive for an SSD and I'm quite pleased with the performance boost that got me. I am now looking for a ram upgrade from 2gb to 8gb.
I have a Dell inspiron n4010.
I went to crucial's website and did the system scan. The scan said that this would fit my needs.

Unfortunately, crucial doesn't ship to me. I'm forced to look elsewhere. I looked for something similar on another store's website. My question to all the experts out there is: will 2 of these work with my laptop and get me the 8gb of ram I need?
thanks for the help!

A:Quick ram upgrade question

Yes. The specs are exactly the same. Over the years I have used both Kingston and Crucial many times for memory upgrades and both are excellent.

You can also do a memory scan at Dell's own website. Just don't buy what they offer because they'll tell you to only buy genuine Dell memory blah, blah, blah. The Kingston will do you quite fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quick-ram-upgrade-question.216718/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have been working on setting up a Minecraft server for a couple of days now and I cannot find a way to get my friends outside of my network to connect connect my to can't My server friends Minecraft I know I gave them the right IP address and I have tried several solutions with no luck I can however connect to the server from other computers connected to the same router but I think that only works when I have it set My friends can't connect to my Minecraft server to quot cracked quot mode I tried disabling my firewall on both my host computer and my router using a different computer as the server host and changing the port All solutions I have tried gave the same message to my friends quot Cannot reach server quot My friends can't connect to my Minecraft server when I was able to connect just fine Here is some possibly useful information Host computer It s not the best -OS Windows XP Professional SP -Processor Intel Pentium GHz uni-core -RAM MB -IP Address Minecraft Server -Version jar Router -Type Wired Wireless -Brand Cisco -Model Linksys E -IP Address -Router Information Firmware Version build Apr Firmware Verification e c b ec c b c ceb Current Time Fri Jan Internet MAC Address FC CB -Internet Connection Connection Type Automatic Configuration - DHCP Internet IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS DNS DNS MTU DHCP Lease Time Hour If there is My friends can't connect to my Minecraft server any other information you need please tell me nbsp

A:My friends can't connect to my Minecraft server

You need to forward some ports (router settings) and then open incoming port in your firewall (OS settings). Start here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-friends-cant-connect-to-my-minecraft-server.175806/
Relevancy 18.49%

I am planning on building a small form factor PC but it will need RS232. I don't know for sure if there will be room for an add on card for the RS232. Is there a usb to RS232? If so, will it work as good as an add on card?

A:RS232 Question

Check out this link: TRENDnet USB to RS-232 . I do not personally own one, but I have used them at my job and they seem to work pretty well. You may have a driver issue, depending on the OS you will be using, but for the most part it works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/rs232-question.215588/
Relevancy 18.92%

As seen on this site, the previous USB 3.0 drivers were v3.0.4.65 for Intel 8/9 Series Chipset. On Gigabyte's website for the Z97 boards, they also list USB 3.0 v3.0.4.65 as the latest for their boards. Now my question is, why on Intel's Download Center, is USB 3.0 v3.0.4.65 listed as Intel NUC drivers? Intel forum staff claim that version is for Intel NUC only, but it doesn't seem that way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-3-0-question.214845/
Relevancy 22.79%

Corsair is well known for its PC components spanning a range of categories -- from memory to cases, power supplies, cooling and more. But this year it's trying something new with Bulldog, a barebones, console-like Mini-ITX box that's designed for...

Read more

A:Corsair goes for the living room with Bulldog PC kit, supports liquid cooling and high-end hardware

The case looks downright awful too me. I wouldn't have that thing displayed in my lounge.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/corsair-goes-for-the-living-room-with-bulldog-pc-kit-supports-liquid-cooling-and-high-end-hardware.213594/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi, Guys (And Gals) I'm attempting my 1st PC build and HAVE used the various online power supply calculators... however I'd like to hear some feedback from you all. No matter where I look online I always like to come here to be sure. My specs for the build are as follows:

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-F2A68HM-H FM2+ USB 3.0 MATX
Amd A6 5400K 3600Mhz Blk Edt 1mb 65w Socket FM2

Video Card: XFX RADEON R7 240 2GB DDR3 LOW PROFILE
RAM: ADATA XPG V1 DDR3 1600 4GB

HDD: Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/64MB/SATA-6G

I would really like to use one of the 350W or 400W power supply I stripped from my previous PC's. I'm thinking of hooking it to an HDMI or VGA projector eventually though (Haven't bought it yet) Can I get away with one of these and play a game like World of Warcraft? or do I need to order something like the
SolidGear 650W PS2 ATX Power Supply on Tiger Direct?

Thanks in advance for any advice & thoughts

A:1st Build Power Supply Question

Over engineer the PS;

Calculate the actual needed power,

add a fudge factor and

multiply by 1.5.
Then round up to the next commonly available size

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1st-build-power-supply-question.213326/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hey guys,

I have question about backbone networks. Need Help!

If an organisation has 3 departments.

Key servers are in different departments ? so a user from 1 department X reads and writes to file servers in another department Y. And both users access mail from a server in department Z.

The traffic and broadcast storms originating in one department is causing bandwidth saturation in other departments.

The core of the network is slow and is unable to meet the response time requirements of various critical business applications.

What is the solution based on core technology design, LAN technologies and design solutions to address inter-departmental traffic issues?
Thanks!

A:Question about backbone networks

The traffic and broadcast storms originating in one department is causing bandwidth saturation in other departments.Click to expand...

major faux paux. Broadcasts should not go beyond the current subnet.

I would guess

you're departments are co-located in the same building
and all are on one subnet
For large companies per the above, likely the 192.168.x.y is insufficient and your lan is using a subnet like 10.x.y.z for ease of network administration.

Broadcasts should be limited to resource online/offline and contained within the network segment where the device is attached. Users / systems in HQ do not need the status of a printer going offline the the shipping department.

Suggestions:

segment the departments into unique subnets
then add static routes between them according to their need
eg: the company domain server would be needed by all (dept <-> srvr)
including the email and directory system.

FEW departments need access to the sales group or its data

You need to analyze the departmental workflow to begin this project, and implement one network change at a time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-backbone-networks.213243/
Relevancy 21.5%

A few months ago I made a minecraft server and it worked perfectly. Today I tried to join with external ip and it didnt work but I could before.Is it something important? Is my server working? Is it the router's problem?
I would appreciate any help as soon as possible

Btw my ip is 46.12.115.127

A:Minecraft Server Problem

@ 13:50 PDT I can not ping that IP from Southern Calif.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/minecraft-server-problem.212628/
Relevancy 18.92%

Hey guys I was wondering if I bought one of these if it would work it s a dvi-d to vga adapter The site says quot the adapter only works if your computer AND your monitor both support digital and analog quot I bought a new GPU but now I can t connect my vga output VGA question to DVI-D from my DVI-D to VGA question tv to my videocard There is a vga port but it s already occupied for my old crt screen On my older GPU I had a DVI-I port so I used a DVI-I to VGA adapter to connect the tv But now I ve got VGA HMDI and DVI-D ports I don t use the hdmi on my tv because the input lag is terrible cheap tv So I want to buy this adapter to fix my problem but I ve read DVI-D is only digital I m kinda confused on this My GPU and tv both support digital and analog as the site requests so is this gonna work or is it just a scam This also made me wonder why the hell they don t just put DVI-I ports on all videocards it s supports both analog an digital Which is far more convenient than having only a digital signal or am I missing something here Thanks for reading nbsp

A:DVI-D to VGA question

I've also found this adapter/converter. It's more expensive but it looks more trustable than the 1st one I posted.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvi-d-to-vga-question.211374/
Relevancy 18.49%

I'm looking for an inexpensive router, any suggestion? The current router is downstairs, I plan plugging it in upstairs to boost the wifi. TIA

A:Router question

ASUS and TP-Link have some pretty good routers.. Do you plan to have Consoles (Xbox One, PS4, Wii U) using the network?? If so just ensure the router will properly support it as some older models may not work well with them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/router-question.208909/
Relevancy 18.49%

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1 AMD E 300 with Radeon HD 6310 Graphics.
I would like to be able to play a few of the newer PC games but when I try they seem to stutter and do not run smoothly.
Do I need to install a better graphics card? If so can someone recommend what kind I could buy and install without a high cost?
Thank you for any advice.

A:Upgrade question

The AMD E-300 (codename Zacate) is a dual core processor for small notebooks and netbooks. It offers a relatively powerful integrated graphics card and a single ...Click to expand...

It appears you have a portable device that likely doesn't have upgrade options. If your device maker doesn't list upgrade options on their website, you can likely scratch this idea.

Portables (Phones, Tablets, Netbooks, and Notebooks) are not designed with upgrading in mind. They are small and very limited with cooling capabilities. And most of the time everything is integrated in small form factors and can not be replaced.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-question.209190/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hello everyone
so I have gameserer hosting website
and all my server I rent them from some website
now I have 2 server in my home but I will sell it
and I want to buy new one
but I don't know what is the beast part I have to get it ?
should I get E5 or E3 ? and 1cpu or 2cpu ?
I will host on it some game and its MineCraft and some other game from valve
the other game from valve is
Counter 1.6,scours,go
Garry's mod
Team Fortress 2

so what is the largest server can I have so I can host as many as I can on it ? and about the price I don't care to much on it so if you can just give me something good
I think I will host at less 20-30 servers on it

so what can you advise me ?

A:Bulid servers for Game-Server

Well I would do some researching on what people use for their servers because I don't have much knowledge personally on game servers. What I can provide though is insight on how the parts differ.

A Xeon E5 is based on a completely server-oriented architecture while the E3 is supposedly just a more high-quality binned i7.

I would read up more on server hosting requirements/what is best more in depth than I did below, but the consensus seems to be that the E3 or E5 is fine with lots of RAM. Keep in mind, the E5 can have twice as much RAM as the E3. Another thing to keep in mind is whether the game is multi-threaded or single threaded and the tick-rate of the server. If you have more players and the game is multi-threaded (Minecraft isn't for example if I am not mistaken), then go for the E5 just to be safe.

I was researching online about the CS:GO server requirements and came across this forum post and they linked to this dedicated server wiki page. Since Garry's Mod, CS:GO, and TF2 run on the same engine, the requirements should technically be the same. Minecraft isn't really too demanding either so you should be fine basing the server on Source games. Here are the requirements for a Minecraft server. It seems to me like the servers don't need much horsepower.

Here is another useful forum thread that will provide the best insight.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bulid-servers-for-game-server.208926/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi guys, while playing DOTA 2 (on lowest settings), I am experiencing the problem that my FPS is down to 30 almost all of the time. This started about a month ago and is really annoying to me, which is why I decided to updgrade my hardware in order to fix this problem. Now I am facing the problem though that I have no idea which parts of my hardware cause the low performance and thus need to be exchanged, some help would be very much appreciated.

I have the Medion Erazer X6817 with the following hardware:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM @ 2.20 GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
RAM: 4GB DDR3

Some Additional Facts:

I use a LG 24MPHQ Monitor to display the game at 1920x1080 resolution
When playing RAM usage is constantly at about 3,2 GB, CPU Usage pending between 15 and 45
So what part of my notebook do I have to upgrade to improve my FPS?

A:Hardware Upgrade to fix low FPS?

If you can upgrade your RAM to 8 gigs that might help; it seems to be the sweet spot for gaming. Otherwise Dota 2 is not that demanding on hardware.

As one who is experiencing League of Legends disconnects I have found through the help of jobeard and Rage_3K_Moiz that it probably has to do with my internet connection. Here are 2 that I ran (both are safe) to check for Packet Loss:

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/
http://www.dslreports.com/pingtest

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hardware-upgrade-to-fix-low-fps.208832/
Relevancy 22.79%

Nvidia's G-Sync technology is currently available on a handful of displays but the cost of entry isn't cheap. That's because the current crop of monitors require custom hardware to work their gaming magic - a requirement that soon won't be...

Read more

A:Nvidia G-Sync technology is coming to laptops, no custom hardware required

LOL the G-Sync module was only ever used to verify 100% that someone was using a Nvidia GPU. What a bunch of crooks...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-g-sync-technology-is-coming-to-laptops-no-custom-hardware-required.208532/
Relevancy 21.5%

I am deeply sorry to post this silly question but here is my problem:
Recently I made my mc server, I port-forwarded the 25565 port and my friends joined and the server worked perfectly. Then all of a sudden, they disconnected all at once. After some investigation I realized that my external ip adress had changed. I kept giving my friends the new ip adresses every time they changed but that seemed like not the best solution. Also I checked and my ips are static. I have some screenshots containing the problems and info here.

I used PortForward Network Utilities to make the ips static and every one is static and the external ip keeps changing. Is there a way to stop the external ip from changing or no?
P.s. DHCP is not enabled on LAN.
Sry for my derpy tech language if you don't understand anything just ask

A:My friends get disconnected to my Minecraft server

Okay, that is a legit issue. Your external IP address is provided by your Internet Service Provider. It seems as if they either have it set to switch IP addresses constantly, or they're doing that just to you to prevent you using a server unless you pay more money for a static IP. My local provider refreshes my IP very rarely, but I have had it happen in the past and it did confuse me for a bit. Call up your ISP about the problem, and see if you can figure out a way to stop it. I wouldn't imagine it adding too much more to your internet bill, but I honestly don't know.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-friends-get-disconnected-to-my-minecraft-server.208559/
Relevancy 18.49%

Ok first I know this is the hardware section but because of the nature of my question this is the best place I feel it should go I am upgrading my motherboard Upgrading cpu question mobo and and CPU from Asus M A TD-V EVO USB Xtreme Design ATX AMD Mobo and an Amd Athlon II x Ghz to ASRock Z Extreme LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard and a Intel Core i - K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core GHz GHz Turbo Boost LGA Upgrading cpu and mobo question W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics Now all hardware does work but my issue seems to be a software issue more likely than Win bit which I need to get a hold of the disc my brother has was a family pack thing Anyway my question is pretty simple I Upgrading cpu and mobo question hope Without doing a fresh install of Win bit is it possible in any form to get the new mobo and cpu working like maybe using the repair method or installing over the current installed win Os so I do not have to back-up a ton of data and re-install lots of programs Also is there Upgrading cpu and mobo question any other work-around that might help I do have a Tb external Hdd I plan to backup my C drive with either way but it would be great if I did not have to do a fresh install Again sorry if this is in the part of the forums nbsp

A:Upgrading cpu and mobo question

Just back it up, bite the bullet, and reinstall Windows to get things right. An intel mb is not going to work right with the AMD drivers installed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-cpu-and-mobo-question.208395/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hello, I was recently given a Dell Dimension 2400 from a friend. It had absolutely no upgrades, however I had old parts sitting around and I gave it a bit of an upgrade. I put in 4gb of ram (however found out it had only supported up to 2gb, so I had to remove a card) and added a Visiontek Radeon 9200 graphics card in. Now, I have two processors here that look like the might fit, but I wasn't sure. So, I was hoping to get a second opinion from someone who has a bit more experience with this than I do. I have two spare processors

one of them is a Pentium 4 3.00Ghz (http://ark.intel.com/products/27479...g-HT-Technology-2M-Cache-3_00-GHz-800-MHz-FSB)

the other is a Pentium 4 1.6Ghz (http://ark.intel.com/products/27424/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-1_60-GHz-256K-Cache-400-MHz-FSB)

Would either of them work? Also, would upgrading to windows 7/vista increase the support for ram? Thank you.

A:CPU upgrade question

Socket details:

Pentium 4 3.00Ghz is LGA775
Pentium 4 1.6Ghz is PPGA478
That is two different architectures.

Specs for Dell Dimension 2400

Intel Pentium 4 that runs at 2.2 or 2.4 GHz
internally and 400 MHz externally, or 2.266, 2.4,
2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533 MHz
externally.

Intel Celeron that runs at 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5,
2.6, or 2.7 GHz internally and 400 MHz externally.Click to expand...

Please note this would be PPGA478 architecture not LGA775.

What CPU is currently in the computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-upgrade-question.208387/
Relevancy 18.49%

Greetings. I have an Asrok Z77 Extreme 6 Motherboard.

I currently have an I5 3570K in there. I believe my Mobo is LGA 1155.

Can I pull out the 3570L and drop in a I7 4790K? I 'think' they are the same socket.

Not sure if I will see any real increase in performance. I over clock the I5 to 4.2.

Any advice is welcome.

A:Question about my motherboard

Larsenex said:

Can I pull out the 3570L and drop in a I7 4790K? I 'think' they are the same socket.Click to expand...

Sorry, no. While your motherboard does have socket 1155, the processor i7 4790K is socket 1150. You'll need a new motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-my-motherboard.208311/
Relevancy 21.5%

I'm curious if there is any open source proxy-server-like software out there that I can use to accelerate web surfing. Amazon's Silk browser/platform for the Kindle, and Opera Mini do this for mobile clients; I'm mostly thinking about setting this up for laptop / desktop clients, so I'm not so interested in having a server render a webpage.

My setup is this: I have a few clients (my computers), on a high-latency internet connection. I have access to a relatively private server, which has an extremely fast internet connection.

Would setting up a proxy server on the server [machine] actually help connection speeds? I imagine things like Silk and Opera Mini compress data (don't send the same thing twice), and reduce the # of HTTP requests (for images, etc.). Would something like squid actually have the same effect? It seems to be targeted at the slow-website-server scenario.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-one-set-up-a-proxy-server-to-accelerate-web-browsing.207907/
Relevancy 21.5%

I am trying to set up my Windows Xp computer as a VPN server I have taken the initial steps I get to the Accept Xp setup VPN hanging server Windows incoming connections screen and click okay The computer hangs for about a minute or so and then comes up with the following message Incoming connections depend on Routing and Remote access Windows Xp VPN server setup hanging service which was unable to start For more information check the system event log I presumed I had to go to control panel performance and maintenance Administrative Tools Event viewer I have already made sure that Routing and Remote access are enabled as well as Telephony I could not find Netbios in the services list and don t know where to Windows Xp VPN server setup hanging look for it Also when I try to start Routing and Remote access service manually I get the following message Windows could not start Routing and Remote access on local computer For more information review the System Event Log If this is a non-Microsoft service contact the service vendor and refer to the service specific error code- Can some one give me a step by step walk through of how to resolve this issue so I can connect to that computer from work over the internet nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-vpn-server-setup-hanging.207658/
Relevancy 18.06%

This ink cartridge http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=T048120[1]

Is labelled as "T048120-S" on some online stores... others it's labeled just as "T048120"

What does the "-S" mean? single cartidge?

A:Question about Epson printer ink model #

Probably means standard capacity.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-epson-printer-ink-model.207580/
Relevancy 21.5%

Every time I shut down my Inspiron 15 using windows 8.1 when I boot back up I get an error message proxy server not responding when I try to go online. I then have to go to the connections tab of internet options and click lan settings and uncheck use proxy server for your lan. Is there something I can do to get around having to do this every time I boot up?

A:Proxy server not responding

Never mind, I researched microsoft's website and reset ie settings to solve the problem,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/proxy-server-not-responding.207513/
Relevancy 23.65%

Updated my hardware drivers including the wireless adapter, and something must have gotten changed as I can not connect to wifi anymore on HP Notebook G72-253NR with Windows 7.

Flushed winsock, released/renewed ipconfig and deleted/reinstalled adapter. Can meanwhile connect thru Ethernet cable again but not wifi. Finds my wifi network (previously didn't) but can't connect, don't have tcp/ip addresses in LAC or wireless properties, automatically obtain is enabled. IPv4/6 enabled in both also.

Getting message of "HOST Process was prevented from changing settings of ZoneAlarm by modifying registry key HKCS/Services/VSDATANT? at initial startup.

"COM surrogate was prevented from changing settings of ZoneAlarm by modifying registry key HKCS/services/vsdatant" whenever I simply access/exit ip protocol settings.

How can I fix this? My brain is fried after several DAYS of trying to fix my friends computer... Please someone help!

A:Can't connect to wifi after hardware driver update

Call your ISP they will walk you through it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-connect-to-wifi-after-hardware-driver-update.206983/
Relevancy 24.51%

This is my current setup and am wondering if there's anything that can be improved.
primary hard drive 210GB Samsung SSD
secondary hard drive 931 GB Western Digital
8 GB DDR 3 dual channel memory
2TB Western Digital Passport external hard drive
Intel i5 2500K processor (not overclocked)
After running Winaero WEI tool I was supprised to see my primary hard drive is the bottle neck as it's SSD. Is there a way I can tell that SSD is primary, and not the old hard drive?

I run Windows 8.1 as main computer, then with VMware I run Windows 7 from secondary hard drive (all of its files are on secondary hard drive).

I noticed with the VM running some programs take a while to load the first time. For example Maple and Photoshop take 10 seconds, but if they are closed and open again then they take 2 seconds to open. Also with the VM and Firefox running 75% of memory is used. Does this mean I need more RAM?

A:Best setup with hardware

All that means is drive as far as windows is concerned is slower than the graphics card, memory ,and processor is. that means nothing. u'r computer is fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-setup-with-hardware.206940/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hi all. So I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on gaming headsets for pc. My headphone jack for my computer isn't working so I don't think I can use any wired headsets (if I'm wrong on this please let me know). So I was looking into wireless ones, preferably $100 and under. The three I narrowed it down to were the corsair 2100, turtle beach px4 or 5 (from amazon or ebay) and the PDP afterglow kral. Anybody have any opinions on any of these ones or any other ones you would recommend? Thanks for any help on this!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-gaming-headset-question.207127/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi all Apologies in advance for such a long post I headaches + installation = hardware New Win7 don t know if I just have a corrupt New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches Windows Ultimate installation or what but this all started three weeks ago or so after installing new hardware specifically New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches motherboard Asus A M-A New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches processor AMD A K and RAM Kingston HyperX GB DDR Since I had the extra RAM slot I also put in one of the Aeneon XTune GB DDR I have from before the upgrade The sticker on it says it s but it shows up in BIOS POST as Since then I ve had the following problems Internet Unable to establish any connection at all when using the ethernet cable plugged into my Cisco Linksys EA Router I can connect wirelessly but that connection is lousy and I m not sure why especially since the router is only about feet from the computer To be fair the lousy wireless connection is something I was dealing with since before the hardware upgrade Windows reinstall which is why I finally gave up and bought a ethernet cable the computer used to be in a different room though on the same floor of the house The problem with being unable to get any type of connection when plugged in started after reinstalling Windows and then doing something like updates and then moving the PC to the new spot I made a point of moving the tower myself just so that I could be sure nothing happened to it so I know there was no physical damage done because of dropping or otherwise banging it around at all I ve checked the ethernet cable that runs from the modem to the router as well as the one and neither of them appear to be damaged at all I ve also tried plugging the one into all of the ports on the back of the router in the event that one of them just bit the dust somehow but nothing changed Any thoughts on how I can either get my wired connection working again or what might be making the wireless connection so horrible For clarification on quot horrible quot I m not talking dial-up speeds but some sites either load slowly or not at all sites that load up just fine on every other device in the house - specifically cell phones and iPod an Xbox a Wii and a laptop My connection to Battle net for playing WoW Starcraft II Diablo III is also pretty lag-tastic My NIC is an onboard Realtek GR PCIe Gigabit LAN controller according to the motherboard manual In terms of anything that may be interfering with the wireless signal there s a metal support post and a metal I-beam a few feet from where the router currently sits though it was previously or so feet from both Other than being in close proximity to those the room is wide open I was told that water can interfere with a wireless signal and we do have a lot of ground water under around the house can anyone verify whether ground water can degrade the signal so much over such a relatively small space Hard drive partition issues Until the upgrade when the computer just wouldn t boot presumably because Windows couldn t handle dealing with such big hardware changes all at once I had Windows installed on a partition on a TB Western Digital drive Since I had to reinstall anyway I installed Windows to a partition on a smaller but faster TB Seagate drive Up until this afternoon when I installed Seagate Discwizard one of the partitions on the big drive was inaccessible showing up in disk management and a couple of rd-party hard drive utility partitioning programs as simply quot unallocated space quot Since this afternoon though that partition is now showing up as a completely separate hard drive in disk management AND as quot unallocated space quot on the drive it s actually a part of I m a little leery of just leaving things as they are and using that partition since it s showing up different ways Discwizard only shows that partition as a separate drive there is no quot unallocated space quot showing on the TB drive Is this something I sh... Read more

A:New hardware + Win7 installation = headaches

Update: Wired connection issue is fixed. I have to (sheepishly) admit that I completely forgot to install the router via the CD that came with it. The lousy wireless performance is still a problem, though, as well as the hard drive/partition issues.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hardware-win7-installation-headaches.206345/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hi,

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

Thanks

A:Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-set-up-local-and-remote-user-with-server-2012.206403/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi,

Wile I am in the posting mood. Just thought I would ask the question. Is it possible for me to host/and play a call of duty server from my laptop or desktop?
When I was younger I played games like the delta force collection of games. And could just go into the game, click host server. And then gradually people would join my game as they seen it on the lobby.
Is this possible with any of the call of duty games for PC? I assume it needs some network configuration
If anyone could help me do it I would be really gratefull. I have my Nat port configured to open. But I would like to host a server and have it free for anyone to join

Thanks
C

A:Hosting call of duty 2 server

Has anyone any advice on this? :/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hosting-call-of-duty-2-server.206731/
Relevancy 21.07%

This mobo got me wondering, packs alot of specs :
18 SATA ports (10 are SATA3 ports from the Intel X99 Express chipset, 8 are SAS ports stemming from the LSI SAS 3008 controller) and five PCI-E 3.0 x 16slots for 4-way graphics cards! 600$ motherboard for some serious business, I think this would be ideal for a video editing workstation..

A:Ultimate server / Workstation mobo? Asrock X99 Extreme 11

I'm probably one of the few that uses the ASRock Z87 Extreme11
There is always a market for their Extreme11 series boards. I use mine for a bounch of stuff gaming, media server, video editing with all 22 SATA ports even 2way SLI. Might be a bit over kill 4 way SLI but who knows...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ultimate-server-workstation-mobo-asrock-x99-extreme-11.206694/
Relevancy 23.65%

There use to be an official site where one could buy the Alpha Shield but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone know what became of this product or if it's useful? I've only heard good things about it.

A:Whatever happened to the Alpha Shield hardware firewall?

Jskid, I just ran across your question (on Oct.28, 2014!) I bought one in 2004...it worked well until three years later when we moved to the Niagara Peninsula, at which time the unit simply cut all access to the Net. A tech tried it, and said "Toss it." A rather expensive lesson.
Brian, sadder/poorer/wiser.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whatever-happened-to-the-alpha-shield-hardware-firewall.166371/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi,

I'm using a Huawei Mobile Broadband E303 and I've been having this problem for 6-7 days now Ples halp
It was working perfectly fine before but now the speed wont go past 60-70kbps.
My current operating system is windows 7 ( V 6.1.7601 )

I've tried using it on other laptops with windows 7/xp/vista as their operating systems still the same problem except for my brothers laptop which runs on windows 8. and dont tell me that this Thing wont work because its not compatible with my operating system, because I've been using it for over a year without an issue.

My ipconfig shows:
Mobile Broadband adapter Mobile Broadband Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7450:69bc:7a3e:fee8%57
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.22.155.137
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.252
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.22.155.138
And when I try to do nslookup:
C:\Windows\system32>nslookup
Default Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address: 8.8.8.8

The default server shouldn't be that thing. please help. Nor the address

Edit: I've tried Uninstalling the Program which came with the USB.
I've tried calling my ISP, with no problems on their end.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/your-computer-seems-to-be-correctly-configured-but-the-device-or-resource-dns-server-not-respondin.206332/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hey, I wanted to update my cpu stock heatsink to something new sense this one sucks and I was gonna get
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
for my cpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113348
but I wasn't sure if that huge cpu heatsink would fit in my case, could anyone give me advice whether it will or not I am still new to building, Thanks!
This is my case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147166

A:Cpu heatsink question

You can try to use partpicker (needs a valid email to save parts list) to test your builds. a warning will show for any possible incompatibility.

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/Click to expand...

based on newegg product, it seems able to handle 'full sized cpu coolers'

Rosewill Line-M
This review is from: Rosewill LINE-M Micro-ATX Mini Tower Computer Case, Dual USB 3.0, come with Dual Fans, Support up to 4 Fans, 12.5" card-Retail

Pros: Size, Appearance, USB 3.0 Front Panel. I own two of these one with fx8350 and one intel 4770 both with r9 280x gfx cards. Cable managment is tough but I expected that with the amount I packed into this form factor. Keeps my gfx cards around 70 degrees on stock settings. Fits full size CPU coolers. This is just about the perfect size for a computer case in my opinion.
Cons: bent the back panel slightly removing cut outs for PCI and PCIe mounts other than that no complaints really.
Other Thoughts: Get a modular PSU for this case.Click to expand...

based on partpicker:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Bb4TJxClick to expand...

Compatibility Notes
Unable to verify the Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler are compatible.Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-heatsink-question.206154/
Relevancy 18.49%

My gaming computer turned in February and now that it s no longer under warranty things are going wrong This week in the middle of a project the machine rebooted on its own It restarted but shortly after did replacement PSU question it again and again I still have free tech support and two tech s offered help on what could be causing it First I replaced the cooling system thinking the PSU replacement question one installed failed and the cpu was overheating doing it It still rebooted I purchased software called Hardware Monitor to see if the power supply voltage was bad but it seemed ok then I swapped out the memory in case there was a bad stick It still rebooted My support tech feels it still could be the power supply and suggested I replace it I was told that I would need to buy the exact model and that buying any other would require a complete rebuild of my PC Since the computer is years old the power supply isn t sold anymore I was wondering if it s true that my computer would need to be completely rebuilt if I bought a PSU that wasn t the same The power supply is a Enermax Galaxy EVO w model egx ewt My computer was made by Digital Storm More system details available if needed nbsp

A:PSU replacement question

1. What hardware do you have in your system that needs such power? We need your hardware specs: CPU, GPU, amount of RAM, drives, etc.
2. Why does he believe a complete rebuild is necessary because that particular psu isn't made anymore? Is it a special size? If your case is to standard specs then see point #3.
3. Who is this support tech? Does he work for Digital Storm by chance? Check these psu's that will more than meet your power needs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...07657 600479299&IsNodeId=1&name=1200W - 1499W
4. Before you spend any $ find someone who has a digital volttage meter and test your psu to see if that is really the cause.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/psu-replacement-question.205941/
Relevancy 23.22%

24x7 - Low Power Consumption ? Internet Download Machine

I want to build a System that has LOW POWER Consumption.

Use:

Mostly Downloading Stuffs , Might Host Own Cloud too , Email Clients , IRC Clients , Other Internet Connected Apps

I was thinking of a Kabini System

Athlon 5350 (25 W TDP) & Some AM1 Mother Board

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopAPUDetail.aspx?id=105

Again I was thinking about the Intel G3258 Anniversary edition processor (But it has Much Larger TDP)

It should be A Windows 7 Machine . Not Linux or other what nots !

But I am Here for some Advice. I already told you my requirements.

Advise me - What should I do ?
I only want to buy

Processor + Motherboard + RAM

&

SMPS (PSU) + HDD

I have the rest

A:Hardware Suggestions - 24x7 - Low Power Consumption Internet Connected PC

Hmm; Why is power consumption a hi priority issue - - are you running off a solar powered system or portable generator?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hardware-suggestions-24x7-low-power-consumption-internet-connected-pc.205627/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hi guys,
My wife's Galaxy was hacked and sent emails out to her entire contact list.
The message contains a link that may provide a clue to who did it.
Is there a way to possibly isolate and open the link to view it without letting whatever it is destroy/spread/etc?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/odd-smartphone-question.204534/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hey guys just another quick question about my motherboarding and CPU. Currently I am not satisfied with my CPU at all and I'm thinking of upgrading to this
http://www.novcomputer.bg/bg/i5-4670-34g-6mb-box-lga1150.html
and my current motherboard is this
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=1091
on that ^ website it says that my current motherboard supports the CPU that I linked, however my PC technician says that I also have to upgrade to a newer motherboard that can support that CPU that I want. My question is is that really the case? Can my motherboard run that CPU or is it really too old?
Again thanks for reading/helping

A:Upgrading CPU, question about motherboard compatability

Vidosoli said:

Hey guys just another quick question about my motherboarding and CPU. Currently I am not satisfied with my CPU at all and I'm thinking of upgrading to this
http://www.novcomputer.bg/bg/i5-4670-34g-6mb-box-lga1150.html
and my current motherboard is this
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=1091
on that ^ website it says that my current motherboard supports the CPU that I linked, however my PC technician says that I also have to upgrade to a newer motherboard that can support that CPU that I want. My question is is that really the case? Can my motherboard run that CPU or is it really too old?
Again thanks for reading/helping Click to expand...

No, that motherboard is LGA 1156 while the i5 4670 is LGA 1150. You would need a new motherboard to go with that CPU>

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-cpu-question-about-motherboard-compatability.204453/
Relevancy 18.49%

I am using a corsair H60 liquid cooler. Am I going to get better cooling results by putting the radiator on the top of the case and sucking room temp air in through the radiator and then pushing it out back with another fan(plus a front fan intake also). Or am I not going to notice anything by just having my front intake fan and push the air out through the radiator with a fan? Thanks.

A:Cooling question

It is probably best to push air out of the case with the radiator since that will probably lessen the amount of dust that comes into the radiator. That is my opinion though. Maybe someone else thinks otherwise.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cooling-question.204467/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hello I am looking to upgrade my current pc will post specs below and am wondering what will give me the most bang for my buck as my budget is limited a $600 with budget only Upgrade question and I may not have the funds to upgrade again for a while Current PC specs Intel Core i LYNNFIELD GHz GB ram and a Geforce EVGA GTX ti GB I was set to order a new MB ram cpu and another GTX ti to run sli My new pc would have been this was all within my budget Intel Core i - K Processor GHz GB ram ASUS Z PRO LGA Motherboard Geforce GTX ti GB x Ive had some people recently tell me the most bang for the buck would be just spending almost all of it on a video card as thats where the bottleneck for most games is I can see that being true but my cpu ram and mb are about years old I still think Upgrade question with only a $600 budget id get more performance for the overall package but im far from an expert and could use any advice and or suggestions Also im a but Upgrade question with only a $600 budget hung up on going from a I to a I but the newer cores have to make up for whatever difference there may be right Thanks and sorry if I put this in the wrong spot nbsp

A:Upgrade question with only a $600 budget

Does your current system not support SLI?

And does you PSU provide enough power for the two 660Ti?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-question-with-only-a-600-budget.203890/
Relevancy 21.93%

I m looking to build a tower server from scratch that ll support - incoming connections to a game that will be hosted on this server Budget - I m planning on running Linux on this PC it ll run graphics are unnecessary as this PC will serve only as a server Server Building a PC also the saves for the players don t take a lot of memory so I won t be needing a TB harddrive I ll be planning to upgrade the system in the future to support more users List of items I m looking at Intel Core i - k Crucial GB x D - DIMM Gigabyte GA-Z -HD ATX LGA Samsung E GB EVO SATA quot IPSG LG X DVDRW SATA OEM IPSG Carbide Series R Case EVGA NEX G W GOLD PS Subtotal UEZ Sales Tax Total This is a price quote and recommendation I Building a Server PC got from a sales associate from MicroCenter NJ What I m wondering is would these components be enough to support a hosting server of - people with minimum lag If the playerbase of the game increases would I be able to upgrade the system to support more players Would it be better if I bought a Server Motherboard that ll support more processor for future purposes Are there anything cheaper that I could use to start off with and upgrade to in the future nbsp

A:Building a Server PC

Servers don't need heavy hitting processors. The primary resources are memory, networking and file I/O

The 120GB drive is minimally acceptable, although if I were building a server, I would have at least two drives,
one for the server and the other for the data being served. Performance would be better and either drive could be
replaced/upgraded without disrupting the other - - also improves your backup media consumption.

Let's talk networking. Is this a private server for just LAN connected users or do you intend to have Internet connected players?

* hosting server of 20-30 people * in a lan based server says you will need a good switch connected to the router for wired users OR an access point for wireless

* I suspect you are intending a public server with Internet users {upgrade the system to support more players}.
You should read your ISP End-User-License-Agreement; unless you purchase a private IP address & Domain, the ISP typically forbids your hosting anything. They will cause you and your users all kinds of issues, such as limiting bandwidth and randomizing your public IP address.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-a-server-pc.203794/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here so I'm not very aware of the things going on. But I'm desperately posting this because I want some good answers and advice regarding my PC. And I'll appreciate any response.

Now here's my question. I recently bought a PC but not the kind you'd want as a gamer. I want to know if it's possible for me to replace its current Video card to Higher one, I mean a Graphic card capable for gaming and compatible for my system. Also about the RAM, I want to know if it's OK for me to change it to like 16g? My current Video card is NVDIA GeForce GT 620 1g. -

A:Just a Simple Question :)

It mainly depends on your power supply, motherboard, and your computer's case on whether you can upgrade your video card. Chances are your power supply will be the most limiting factor on your machine. You could bump up to something like a 750 Ti without much concern about the PSU but anything higher and you'll likely need to change that part out also.

As far as the RAM goes it's all motherboard and what you've already got installed. You might end up having to remove some of your memory modules in order to put higher capacity ones in. That shouldn't be an issue with the Core i3 though - 16GB should be easily attainable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-a-simple-question.203779/
Relevancy 20.21%

Just to be and Nvidia AMD: Features vs. Software clear I want NO ARGUMENTS This is a reasonable discussion The conflict between the two major GPU developers is as old as I remember and while the obvious answer in which is better depends on how much you want to spend and various subtleties in manufacturing Nvidia vs. AMD: Features and Software and releases the two generally leapfrog each other with every release I want to discuss what in terms of software support features and game coding each has over the other Lets start with what almost everybody knows Nvidia release drivers every time there s an actual update not the regular monthly update that AMD tend to do and while this probably results in better Nvidia vs. AMD: Features and Software updates it can mean a long time between problems getting fixed waiting for small fixes because a Nvidia vs. AMD: Features and Software big bug takes a long time to patch Nvidia have also developed the G-Sync for monitors which I barely know anything about - kind of the point of this thread a can anyone shed light on how this performs I ll update this top post as others provide feedback AMD s Mantle technology is becoming more and more widespread in new releases especially as AMD make more deals with game developers While my AMD GPU is too old to benefit from the Mantle updates it is doing well in trying to convince me to get AMD as my next card as well Again can anyone provide feedback on how the newer AMD cards perform on the Mantle-enabled games Cheers guys nbsp

A:Nvidia vs. AMD: Features and Software

ETF Soldier said:

Just to be clear, I want NO ARGUMENTS. This is a reasonable discussion.

The conflict between the two major GPU developers is as old as I remember, and while the obvious answer in which is better depends on how much you want to spend and various subtleties in manufacturing and releases, the two generally leapfrog each other with every release, I want to discuss what, in terms of software support, features and game coding, each has over the other.

Lets start with what almost everybody knows:

Nvidia release drivers every time there's an actual update, not the regular monthly update that AMD tend to do, and while this probably results in better updates, it can mean a long time between problems getting fixed (waiting for small fixes because a big bug takes a long time to patch).
Nvidia have also developed the V-sync for monitors, which I barely know anything about - kind of the point of this thread, a can anyone shed light on how this performs? (I'll update this top post as others provide feedback)
AMD's Mantle technology is becoming more and more widespread in new releases, especially as AMD make more deals with game developers. While my AMD GPU is too old to benefit from the Mantle updates, it is doing well in trying to convince me to get AMD as my next card as well. Again, can anyone provide feedback on how the newer AMD cards perform on the Mantle-enabled games?
Cheers guys.Click to expand...

Firstly I think both companies release drivers at pretty regular intervals at this point, every major game release at least entitles a beta driver minimum.

Your speaking about G-Sync I believe. It works very well for what it is which makes the monitor and GPU communicate together to change the refresh of the monitor live to match the output FPS in order to keep the game seeming as smooth as possible with no lag, frame tears, etc. Its an excellent piece of technology but you pay a 250+ dollar premium for a monitor with it minimum. Right now DisplayPort 1.2a added this to the VESA standard so now it can be done on monitors without the specific G-SYNC module however AMD is the only one to support this in the future when they start appearing but its still going to require some work from the monitor companies. G-Sync is awesome for high resolution and high refresh setups where stability is a bit harder to achieve.

BF4 with Mantle and surround going (Ill have my Asus UHD monitor today to try) is able to maintain easy 60 FPS ultra and thief is the same way. Those are the only two mantle games I have tried as I have not gotten around to getting one other game that supports it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-vs-amd-features-and-software.203796/
Relevancy 18.06%

So I built my system using this SSD caching It works really well My hard drive is terrabyte and my Cache drive is a gig ssd Lately while a Intel Storage Rapid Technology question.. playing Star Wars the Old repubic I have been freezing Intel Rapid Storage Technology a question.. in game This freezing completely locks the computer I run Teamspeak and I can still push to talk and my friends can still talk and I can talk to them via this during the freeze What is odd is Cnt alt delete will not bring up the control panel to allow me to kill the game I am just stuck Normally I would say this is a Video driver issue I did cleanly reinstall the latest Nvidia driver and this will still occur sometimes Now when I disable RST I never get the problem I can play and play and play When I reactivate RST to maximized I can still play but its like a timer After about or days the Freeze will happen So my RST question is has the driver been updated since when I built my computer and is it possible to update this driver now without having to re-install Windows and all my programs If I am left with having to re-install I am likely to just fork over the money and just buy a gig SSD and keep Windows and or of my favorite games on it and use the Terrabyte drive for Music videos and storage nbsp

A:Intel Rapid Storage Technology a question..

Yep, there's 2013 versions for Win7.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Se...=Intel®+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel®+RST)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-rapid-storage-technology-a-question.203611/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi new to the forum and newbie-level in knowledge with handling for Safety and art junk in storing hardware hardware So sorry for how my questions sound Also I didn t know where else to put this I d just found out that computers have toxic parts and am just wondering I have some old laptops and parts Safety in storing and handling hardware for junk art flash drives hard drives etc Are the levels of these metals in a few - flash drives laptops and hard drives high enough to be Safety in storing and handling hardware for junk art considered toxic Anything else I should watch out for I want to store a bunch of old computers laptops flash drives and hard drives from old laptops until I get the time to sort them out to resell them but I live in the tropics and don t know how to store them properly Should I be worried about heat And I held and will hold internal parts the internal hard drives taken out of old laptops barehanded--is Safety in storing and handling hardware for junk art that okay Or it s not dangerous unless they re broken up Is there a difference between internal hard drives and the internal parts of flash drives I admit I m also thinking of making money off of the laptops flash drives and parts by uh trying art I admit I m not an artist but I m thinking of taking that up as a hobby and yes additional income source in case the reselling doesn t work I know of someone who does something related with internal parts of old computers we re not close so I got the idea there Is this idea viable for me And if it can be done anything I have to watch out for Any precautions I have to take Can I for instance paint on or glue them will the paint or glue affect anything Which parts--the green board the black chips anything else my amateur mind hasn t picked up Drill holes or cut them anything--green board black chips etc via scissors knife to make a picture frame Christmas tree decor or a keychain If I make a keychain for instance will I have to watch what kind of material for the hook I should pick out Is it dangerous if I use a hammer to dismantle a flash drive I don t know how else to pry open the casing Can I do all of this barehanded About heat my only storage option is prone to getting hot I admit I am more worried about say the metal getting hot enough to release fumes and the like than about whether the parts get too damaged to work properly Would heat do that nbsp

A:Safety in storing and handling hardware for junk art

I've never heard of this problem, but I suppose if lead-based solder was used, it could give off fumes. I'm not an expert in the field, but I have all kinds of old hardware parts that I've stored, dismantled, used, handled, melted, painted, what have you... never had any issues. Battery packs from laptops might be of concern though. They can fail and vent, resulting in fire or leakage of bad juju. Best toss them or store them properly (this you would have to research).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/safety-in-storing-and-handling-hardware-for-junk-art.201627/
Relevancy 21.5%

Right first things first to mix it up a bit, I've started a minecraft server on an LINUX based operating system, I've followed all the steps that have been required to start the minecraft server and so on, I've portforwarded everything (something else about it comes up later) And done everything it has said to do. I've run minecraft servers before so I do know how they work

HOWEVER, Because I still want to keep the portforwarding on my main computer so that I will be able to host other things from it, I changed the minecraft server to 25566 and since doing that no one has been able to connect to it. The only way I can connect to it is the internal address:25566 and nothing else. Other than that it does not work at all.

Yes I have put the correct IP in
Yes I am using the external IP to connect to it but it won't allow me to join with the external IP address even if I put :25566 after it.

Any suggestions?

A:Require help on a minecraft server

You said you've port forwarded it. Then you changed the listening port on server. Did you also change the port forward rule on router?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/require-help-on-a-minecraft-server.203254/
Relevancy 21.93%

I cannot get online whenever I try I get the following message in a software Update box. The server is unreachable. Retry the request. When I access network connections, the broadband connection symbol has a x over it, and there is this message. This connection is not available because there is a problem with your modem is network adapter. Can anyone offer any solution please

A:Server unreachable

Try to update the driver

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/server-unreachable.201529/
Relevancy 21.5%

I know the parts are overkill for what I will be using it for to serve media to TV phones and pc s it will also back up my pc s weekly file server and questions Home server ftp sync to an offsite location I will be testing things like active directory and VMware because I use these are work but I cant really mess around with them to much there The server is will be running Windows Server R or R I haven t made up my mind yet I want to be able to leave the server on but have it go into a sleep mode until something is requesting data from the server over my lan or internet I know how to do this but I don t know if its good to do with RAID these are the parts I m using If you have any questions please ask me anything Fractal Design Define Mini http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD EFRX TB x in RAID http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Rosewill TACHYON- W http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Mushkin Enhanced Blackline GB x GB http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E ASUS GRYPHON Z LGA http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Intel Core i - Haswell GHz http www Home server questions newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Adaptec RAID T http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E SAMSUNG EVO GB http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E nbsp

A:Home server questions

Have you got a UPS? What's your question.

Also can you please tell me how you do the sleep mode? WOL when something requests access?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-server-questions.200648/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello folks. I'm from Brazil. I would like to know if there is a good place to buy Computer parts and Gaming Laptop in Toronto. I'm going to Toronto soon and I'll study English at King George International College (150 Eglinton E. Toronto, ON M4P 1E8). Is there a Computer Store near from KGIC?

Thanks.

A:Where can I buy hardware in Toronto?

You can order parts from Newegg.ca or Amazon.ca and send them to your dorm room. As for hardware stores, I think a store called Frys is big in Canada.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/where-can-i-buy-hardware-in-toronto.192343/
Relevancy 18.49%

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T430 that I configured with 4 gigs of RAM (budget constraints at the time). It is in single channel (Lenovo never mentioned this tidbit of info; the sad part is both my wife's and daughter's 1st Generation Thinkpad Edge came with 4 gigs of dual channel at 7 timings). My CAS Latency is currently 11.

I am wanting to double the RAM to 8 gigs dual channel and I have the option of CAS Latency at either 9 or 11.

This laptop is used for business such as Office work, internet, email, streaming video, etc. In real world applications would I even notice the difference between my system running either 9 or 11 timings?

Thanks.

A:CAS Latency Question

I dont think it makes much of a difference. But of course, lower latency is better, but it doesnt mean it will bring a big performance boost. The boost will be miniscule.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cas-latency-question.201710/
Relevancy 18.06%

So newegg is offering the Acer 29" B6 B296CLbmlidprz IPS monitor for about 350. Seems like a pretty good deal but I can't find many reviews on it. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this monitor and/or if you guys have better options for someone who is looking for an IPS monitor below 400 bucks. I want to game with it as well as do some 3d modeling and photoshop work. So I need reasonable response time for gaming. I was also looking at the HP ZR2440w and was gonna get that until I saw this deal on newegg for a larger monitor. 24" models are fine but if there are good deals on some 27" inch ones then I would be interested in those as well. Any suggestions? Thanks.

A:Question on Acer 29" monitor and other monitors

Heres the link for that monitor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1GC2421

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-on-acer-29-monitor-and-other-monitors.201698/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hello

When I play Diablo 3 I get some fps drops , usually at the same places. usually im around 130 FPS but can go down to 50 or even 25 sometimes when its bad. its not unplayable but its no fun at all.

The places are demanding I guess, there is a lot of **** on the screen and action all around.

My current setup :

Nvidia 780Ti HOF , goes to around 60C during load
i5 4570 goes to around 65 during load
8 GB ram,

Im assuming the 780Ti should be able to handle Diablo 3 even when its demanding?

I used an AMD r9 290 earlier and got the same issue at the same places.

Before I changed card from the 290 to 780Ti I formated my computer and installed Windows 8 Pro.

So it shouldnt be any software causing this,

Am I doing something wrong here?

Is it perhaps my CPU?

What can I do?

if you want to I can record the actual gameplay and show you

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fps-drop-when-playing-diablo-3-something-wrong-with-my-hardware.201463/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi, I want to know if Motherboard GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H is suitable with the GPU unit GIGABYTE GV-N65TOC 1GI ??
how to know if that GPU unit will use what kind of PCI port??

thanks guys.

A:Help to match the hardware

Yes it will work fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-to-match-the-hardware.201306/
Relevancy 21.07%

We have a problem with the connection to our server. The server disconnects randomly from minutes to hours all day. I am at a remote location and connect via logmein to a local pc at the servers physical location to remotely control and connect to the server. A month or so ago the connection would drop every few minutes. The staff at that location replaced the switch and had the ISP tech check out the router. No problems were found. I think it is a problem with the server itself but don't know what it could be. Typically I can go through the login process and reconnect. I'm sorry I can't be more specific about the equipment since it is 40 miles away. Any suggestions on troubleshooting? Remotely?
Clearly I'm not a network guy.
Thanks for any help or direction

A:Network connection to server disconnects constantly

The usual suspects are:

(for DSL connections only) missing or faulty line filters
need to update the router/modem firmware at your end
packet reassembly overflow(a)
(a) very techie, but the solution is easy; see this description

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-connection-to-server-disconnects-constantly.200706/
Relevancy 18.49%

I have to be at a meeting in about 2 hours. We are on the beach in South Carolina. Our ISP, Hargray, constantly goes out. We are a condo association and have a group connection with little radio connectors in each building. We are more out than on line. I did a speed check and get a dl of 11.24, and an ul at 1.18. Does this matter in affecting my internet connection? I have an ipad and laptop and both get get nada. Please give me something to take to my meeting to make an intelligent statement. Thank you.

A:Internet Question Needs Quick Help

How did the meeting go?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-question-needs-quick-help.200367/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hello. I am a complete newbie to server administration. At my current job, I have been tasked with setting up a deployment server. The server is a Windows 2008 server and is not connected to the Internet. The server is a domain controller on its own domain (different from the main domain my job uses). How would I connect this server to the Internet without disrupting other users on the network? By disrupting, I mean connecting to my server instead of the main server for DNS and DHCP. The server has Active Directory Domain Services, DNS, DHCP, and WDS roles set-up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connect-server-to-the-internet-without-disrupting-other-computers-on-network.200167/
Relevancy 24.51%

I am building a new system for editing/rendering and have two options currently - any comments, critiques are welcome
option 1
core i7 4770 3.4GHZ quad core processor
MSI Motherboard with 4 memory slots, USB 3.0 and all of the goodies
32 GB of corsaire 1600 RAM
120GB solid state hard drive
3TB mechanical hard drive
2GB dedicated graphics card XFX R7-260x
Noctua CPU cooler with 2 fans

or Option 2
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler:Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 CA-PH530-B1 Black ATX Full Tower Case
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan X4
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

A:Please critique my hardware

jeff young said:

I am building a new system for editing/rendering and have two options currently - any comments, critiques are welcome
option 1
core i7 4770 3.4GHZ quad core processor
MSI Motherboard with 4 memory slots, USB 3.0 and all of the goodies
32 GB of corsaire 1600 RAM
120GB solid state hard drive
3TB mechanical hard drive
2GB dedicated graphics card XFX R7-260x
Noctua CPU cooler with 2 fans

or Option 2
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler:Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 CA-PH530-B1 Black ATX Full Tower Case
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan X4
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD WriterClick to expand...

Well your first option does not have much information on it so based off the two sets of specs alone I would say go with your second option since your mostly doing editing.

However, what program are you useing for video editing might I ask? If you are using Adobe, I would definitly go with an AMD card since Adobe likes OpenCL and AMD cards are better at OpenCL than Nvidia.

I would say your selections for the second are quite nice, just swap the 660 for something like this and you will be good if your using Adobe.

Also, I would jump your PSU up to a 600 watt if your going with this setup. 500 Would be to close to the bare minimum and for last-ability I would go with a 600 or 650 watt minimum to keep the system open for overclocking and to insure overworking the PSU is not an issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-critique-my-hardware.200093/
Relevancy 18.06%

I have a 128gb samsung SSD. I was wondering what updates I can remove to get more space on the SSD because windows7+all updates are currently using half of the SSD space and somehow only 119gb of the SSD space is displayed so I'm guessing that 8gb is reserved or something.
I'm currently removing the extra languages and those are giving me and extra 5,5gb space

A:Windows 7 Ultimate updates and SSD question

Somehow I think you have more installed than Windows and updates. Internet Explorer, Bing Bar, and Bing Desktop are the only updates I have hidden. All other Windows Updates have been installed. I wouldn't put all the blame on WIndows, if you have an install using 60GB.

​Anyone with more than 8GB memory and still has Pagefile and Hibernation, by default has more than 16GB used by these two files alone. I recommend using them only if needed. I personally don't need them and have removed them both.

Check and see if you have a Hibernation file. If you don't use hibernation features, the file can be removed.

Windows 7 ? Delete Hibernation File (hiberfil.sys)
To turn off or disable hibernation, type the following command at the prompt:
powercfg ?h off
This will disable hibernation and will remove the hiberfil.sys file from your system.Click to expand...

Monitor your memory usage and if you have more memory than you ever use. The Pagefile can be minimized. I currently have mine turned off, with 8GB installed. But caution though if you turn the Pagefile off, Windows will not be able to compensate for a shortage of memory and the Windows session will crash. While I am comfortable not using a Pagefile, I do not recommend others do the same until they are comfortable doing so. I recommend lowering the Pagefile size to 1GB, and if Windows needs more, the size will be automatically adjusted.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-ultimate-updates-and-ssd-question.200043/
Relevancy 21.5%

I m working one replacing our file server at work The one we currently have was built around and is starting to show its age So I m thinking new server time The server will be for a copy shop that specializes in house plans and construction plans We store lots of large pdf and tiff files Also have a full service sign shop so lots of Illustrator and Photoshop files - may of the raster graphics are New server file FreeNas quite large ft x ft sign dpi takes up a lot of space New FreeNas file server The server will need to connect to - computers at any one time with upto printers amp copiers active on the network at any one time I already have a fairly decent switch with one port having gigabit Ethernet that the file server will be plugged into and there reset of the ports being megabit Ethernet ports of the files we work with are storage on the file server - form house plans to large commercial building plans to customer artwork and designs for both small format printing and large format They are loaded modified saved and printed while on the server I strongly discourage anyone storing files locally as there are no backups on the individual computers only on the file server Both local and through Crashplan Anyways onto the hardware I already have the process from another project that didn t pan out Intel Xeon E - V Ivy Bridge GHz Mobo SUPERMICRO MBD-X SCL-F-O Case Fractal Design Define R PSU Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG- M W ATX Ram Kingston GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR Server Memory Model KVR D E SK G HDD s Seagate NAS HDD ST VN TB x I plan to put the HDD into a Raid-Z which should give me about TB of space I have built several gaming computers and graphic design computers before but never a server I think I have a fairly good built here but would certainly welcome input from someone with more experience in this area than me nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-freenas-file-server.200039/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hello
guys please I need your help, my laptop keep saying
Unable to connect to the proxy server what can I do to fit it please

A:Unable to connect to the proxy server

You are getting this message because the laptop can't find a wireless network to connect to...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-connect-to-the-proxy-server.199618/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hi there Tech Forum thanks in advance for your help - I have a question about a LAN and stuff There is a modem and a wireless router with LAN ports In one of them there is conected also a switch Network LAN Question with LAN ports - Some weird things have been going on I always get a wireless connection so LAN Network Question no problem there Issues appear with the wired network On one hand I had many times an unidentified network a x x x ip and no LAN Network Question network Nothing changed in configuration on my box or the router and got to connect at MB s while if connected through wi fi I got LAN Network Question more than MB s From a moment on again unidentified network and no signal in the adapter a yellow light would blink quick So now after touching the cable and a little bit of despair not driven to the computer by the way I have a full conection by lan and by wi fi both at a good speed AND weird for me a green light on and the same yellow blinking - So main questions are - What does the green light ON not blinking means - Could there be a difference due to the cable manipulation - Is there a gost inside my router D Thanks a bunch to all of you I try my best to understand computers so now I am happy with the connection but curious on the rest - Regards nbsp

A:LAN Network Question

How new are these devices? Are you using new 'patch' cables? Is DHCP running on only one of the devices? Seems weird that "touching the cable" caused a change.

1. The LEDs differ, but usually one signifies a connection [on/off] and the second signifies activity [blinking]

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lan-network-question.199370/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hey guys, I've been looking for a GFX card to upgrade my HD6870. I've already decided to go with an AMD R9 280X, I just don't know which model to buy yet.

Right now, the MSI 280X seems like the best option to me. But I use 2 monitors and the MSI 280X only has these connections:
Dual-link DVI-I x 1
HDMI (version 1.4a) x 1
Mini DisplayPort x 2

The monitors I use are a BenQ XL2411T (144hz) and a NEC LCD22WV (old).
The BenQ has: D-sub / DVI-DL / HDMI x 1
The NEC has: VGA 15 pin D-sub x 1

Would I be able to use my NEC screen with the MSI 280X and use my BenQ at the same time, with 144hz refresh rate? I read somewhere that a newer type of HDMI supports at least 120hz, though I couldn't find a clear answer to that. I am willing to purchase converters if needed.

A:Simple question regarding GPU - Monitor connections

I'd connect BENQ via DVI, then use miniDP > DVI > VGA adaptors for the NEC.

Also I don't know what games you are playing, but you're not going to get 144fps @ 1920x1080 with a R9 280x on most games.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/simple-question-regarding-gpu-monitor-connections.199311/
Relevancy 20.21%

Just upgraded form my old EVGA Superclocked GTX 570 to my new Palit GTX 770 Jetstream 4Gb, had to fanny around a lot with my Antec 900 case to get the beast to fit but everything seems fine now, card idles at 30-35c. Underload at around 65c. However the overclocking/temperature control software that came with the card, Thunder Master just does not quite seem up to par with EVGA Precision. Can anyone tell me if I can continue to use EVGA Precision safely and without any adverse effects with this Palit card because I just cant seem to get to grips with this Thunder Master. For some reason it trys to allways achieve 70c.

A:Temperature control software

andy06shake said:

Just upgraded form my old EVGA Superclocked GTX 570 to my new Palit GTX 770 Jetstream 4Gb, had to fanny around a lot with my Antec 900 case to get the beast to fit but everything seems fine now, card idles at 30-35c. Underload at around 65c. However the overclocking/temperature control software that came with the card, Thunder Master just does not quite seem up to par with EVGA Precision. Can anyone tell me if I can continue to use EVGA Precision safely and without any adverse effects with this Palit card because I just cant seem to get to grips with this Thunder Master. For some reason it trys to allways achieve 70c.Click to expand...

My recommendation is to use MSI afterburner for your temperature controlling needs and overclocking. It is non-biased and will work with any video card no matter the type, whether its amd of nvidia, and who made it.

Link here

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/temperature-control-software.199318/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello there Didnt know where to post it so I made it under quot Device Drivers quot Anyway I want help for building my own gaming PC I m going to give full specs and I also add picture of the case end of this post So the first thing is how big should be my power supply I know that my CPU should take something about W GPU should take around W Speakers around W I dont know how much will take power the Monitors though but I have in mind FHD or something like that Also can somone make clear to me the diffrence between HDD and SSD If I buy HDD then should I necessarily need SSD If I do then how much SSD should I get Ive seen some PC s on sale which has like TB HDD and GB SSD others have GB SSD Specs GB CRUCIAL RAM MB AMD A SFM MATX A M-E MSI MOTHERBOARD AMD R x GPU AMD Athlon II x Quad core GHz CPU Sharkoon T Value Green CASE Now about the GPU should I take the GB or GB The Hardware questions money difference is few bucks Also which company made GPU should I take MSI SAPPHIRE GIGABYTE XFX POWERCOLOR Some of these are called OC-edition toxic-edition boost-edition BF and so on GIGABYTE GV-R XOC- GD-GA Radeon R X Sharkoon T Value Green Hardware questions THANKS nbsp

A:Hardware questions

Matis said:

Hello there

Didnt know where to post it so I made it under "Device Drivers".

Anyway, I want help for building my own gaming PC. I'm going to give full specs and I also add picture of the case end of this post.
THANKSClick to expand...

Hi Matis.
Welcome! And... a couple of pointers...

1) Questions about Builds should go in THIS Forum. Be sure to read the stickies at the top first.
Mailpup (Or another mod) may notice and move your inquiry for you.

2) You generally should post the same question only once and only in one place. Otherwise some of the mods and others tend to get a bit cranky.

3a) You might post an intro, here. Ravisunny2 has taken up the mantle of welcoming newcomers, and offering some helpful links on how to get the most of your Techspot Experience. This is something I used to do, and Kimsland before me. Ravisunny2's post is basically the same as I was welcomed with and which I used to welcome others.

3b) Right now, on this topic, just be a bit patient, and hope that Mailpup notices, and moves your post. Likely will happen within a few days.

4) THEN One or more of those experienced with your particular questions will chime in after it is moved. I have done some recent builds, but I do tend to overbuild. Others will be more inclined to help you squeeze the most bang for the buck. You might review the stickies I mentioned above, and be ready to answer those questions.

I am not going to cross post this answer to your other/duplicate post.
Enjoy your time with us!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hardware-questions.199304/
Relevancy 18.06%

This is not intended to be a sob story but I just want you to know what it is all about. I have a niece that is slowly deteriorating from MS. She does not have much that she can do anymore but one of her enjoyments is playing a game called WSOP Challenge (world series of poker challenge). Right during Christmas the game stopped working and Sprint can't seem to help her get it back on her phone. She called me asking if I knew what to do and I tried but could not find any info on what she needed to do to get it working. Sprint told her to delete it from her phone which was not a good idea because I have found no where that she can download it from and put it back on her phone. Would anyone be so kind to give me some advice on how to fix her problem. Time is not on her side but what she does have left I want it to be very enjoyable. Thanks so much for your help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lg-rumor-phone-and-game-question-very-important.199220/
Relevancy 18.49%

Recently bought the GPU and realised that my current power supply wasn't quite good enough, so I went and bought an "emergency" PSU locally. Specifically an 850w PSU by Power Zone.

Now the GPU is amazing but sometimes I struggle to run some games on full settings, such as Assassins Creed 4, Shadow Warrior, etc. , and obviously I bought the card with intentions of running games on ultra with decently good FPS.

Now to the point, is it the PSU that could be holding me down? The recommended wattage on the AMD site stated it to be 750w. and I do believe that my system specs are pretty much good enough.

I'd also like to point out that a friend recently got a Radeon 7950 and claims to run above mentioned games on full settings with no problems. Again so he claims

Also included dxdiag info

A:Question about AMD Radeon 7990

May we ask what you and your friends PC specs are? It could be other variables at fault.

Never mind! Just noticed the specs are listed in the txt file.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-amd-radeon-7990.198993/
Relevancy 18.49%

For Christmas I got another mm case fan aerocool shark rpm and I tried mounting it at the top of the case to suck out hot air as I have intakes and exhaust already but I couldn t seem to get the right screws to screw it in at the top my case aerocool fan cooling Case question strike x gt came with long screws for the top of the case but they are too thin to screw into the fan So instead I mounted the new fan on the side door on the top fan slot by the CPU as an intake and today when I played a new game that I got for Christmas BF I noticed the CPU temps would get rather hot I am using the stock intel cooler bear that in mind I was getting a max temperature of about degrees C after a roughly Case fan cooling question hour gaming session Would I benefit from making the new fan an exhaust by the CPU or would I be better off or is there a secret way of mounting a fan up there at the top as an exhaust that I son t know about as I imagine that way would be the best way to do things Also my graphics card could handle BF at all max p with FPS Thanks EDIT - To clarify I have intakes at the front one rear exhaust and the new fan as an intake on the side door by the stock CPU cooler nbsp

A:Case fan cooling question

hopgop1 said:

For Christmas I got another 120mm case fan (aerocool shark 1500 rpm) and I tried mounting it at the top of the case to suck out hot air as I have 2 intakes and 1 exhaust already but I couldn't seem to get the right screws to screw it in at the top, my case (aerocool strike x gt) came with long screws for the top of the case but they are too thin to screw into the fan. So instead I mounted the new fan on the side door on the top fan slot by the CPU as an intake and today when I played a new game that I got for Christmas (BF3) I noticed the CPU temps would get rather hot (I am using the stock intel cooler, bear that in mind) I was getting a max temperature of about 80 degrees C after a roughly 2 hour gaming session. Would I benefit from making the new fan an exhaust by the CPU or would I be better off, or is there a secret way of mounting a fan up there at the top as an exhaust that I son't know about as I imagine that way would be the best way to do things. Also my graphics card could handle BF3 at all max 1080p with 60+ FPS. Thanks. EDIT - To clarify I have 2 intakes at the front, one rear exhaust and the new fan as an intake on the side door by the stock CPU cooler.Click to expand...

With stock coolers, the fan on the intel cooler is pulling the air through the heat sink off the CPU and into the case away from it. By putting a fan blowing air down on the CPU, you are pushing the air back onto your cpu thus keeping the hot air hovering around it.

I would suggest swapping to exhaust.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/case-fan-cooling-question.198885/
Relevancy 18.92%

I have a Compaq dc5750 that would of had pc 5300 ram but it has none atm, but I have some pc 6400 will it work? I mean all the other specs are ok, but it's pc 6400. thx

A:Ram question

There is only one way to find out. That is to try it. If it does work it will not run at 6400 unless the motherboard supports that speed. If the motherboard only supports 5300, the memory modules will down clock to 5300.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-question.198686/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hello guys,

I'm a computer software engineer and have some good skills on that area of computer world. But my knowledge about the hardware of the computer is poor. I guess best thing for start to be familiar with hardware is to knowing the CPUs and Graphic cards and like those. I'd like to entrust it to you to suggest me a good reference (such as a free ebook) for being familiar with computer hardware

A:How to become a computer hardware expert/technician?

If you want to become accustomed to the terms and such, I recommend you visit our forum often and check out some of our responses to hardware questions . Here are some good books: One, Two, three.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-become-a-computer-hardware-expert-technician.198211/
Relevancy 21.5%

Afternoon Ladies & Gents!

I've spent a few hours on researching this topic. I can't seem to find what I'd need.

Currently I'm looking for a solution. I have about 50 franchised offices. We've played a TV in each of them. Is it possible to put a device in each office and have a "Server" type device to push content over a VPN to them? Also naturally display this on the TVs.

Any comments or points in a direction would be much, much, appreciated.

Thank you!

A:Client-Server Media Streaming

Perhaps a Slingbox would work for this?

http://www.ehow.com/how_6187809_multiple-viewers-slingbox.html
http://www.slingbox.com

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/client-server-media-streaming.198059/
Relevancy 18.06%

If I'm able to, how would I go about running a network hub from an existing port on the router?

I.E. Modem->Router->PCs/Hub->TV/PC

In theory I'm trying to run a wired connection to my room and have the ability to have my PC/TV and any other devices connected to the network physically, my wireless strength isn't exactly good and it's very inconsistent at best when it comes to my internet speeds makes it a bit harder to watch Netflix/Play games.

Any insight would be wonderful!

A:Question about a home network using a Linksys WRT54GS2

Modem > Router >

Then use a LAN port on the router to connect to a LAN port on the hub.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-a-home-network-using-a-linksys-wrt54gs2.197409/
Relevancy 18.49%

Is there a way to know where on a laptop/tower the wi fi signal enters the computer? I'm just curious. TIA

A:WiFi Question

The WiFi signal enters though the antenna... In a laptop the antenna is around the display. In a desktop the antenna is either attached to the WiFi card directly or contained inside a USB WiFi device

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-question.197374/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have started to route CAT e cable to make a wired network I have a server running Server a custom desktop running windows laptops running windows I have the modem and the wireless router in issues to connecting network Having a server the library I have the modem connected to the internet port of the router and one of the loads is connected to a wall jack that Having issues connecting a server to network connects to a cable that runs about feet to its termination This termination is connected to a Having issues connecting a server to network port switch Having issues connecting a server to network The server is connected to the switch directly Based on my understanding my server should have access to the internet and my network should have access to my server With this setup I have full internet access on every machine but the server and I cannot access the server from any computer I have hooked up the server to a second wireless router as a load and was able to successfully access it through the second router but there is no internet The network on the server shows up as Unidentified Limited Access when directly connected to the switch Has anyone seen this before or have an idea to fix this issue nbsp

A:Having issues connecting a server to network

Load? It'd be easier if you drew a diagram. Some of the info is missing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/having-issues-connecting-a-server-to-network.197147/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi!

I remember when I first lost my Motorolas original CD, I couldn't find the software anywhere to be downloaded and no one that i knew had a motorola rzr mobile phone...

I found my old cd here a few days ago so I made an .iso file of it and uploaded it (as 13 .rar files, the file max size is 50Mb).

Here it is

Tel me if the link doesn't work or something.

http://cid-e198cc24bf261f09.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Motorola Razr?permissionsChanged=1&1

A:Motorola Razr v3 drivers and software

Yep that works for me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motorola-razr-v3-drivers-and-software.159146/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hello,

Where I work we need a need new server. I am not really a expert in hardware so I hope you can give me a little help choosing a fitting server, I will use a template with answers to help you understand what's needed:

1) What is the available budget?
Up to 2500? (3380 USD, 2094 GBP).

2) Which tasks will the server execute?
GPS analyses which is pure heavy computing. The amount of reading and writing to the disc is moderate. Internet traffic is low.

3) There is any preferred brand or there is any that is out of question?
Any reasonable brand.

5) Does the size of the server matters?
Should be a standard rack.

6) There are any specific requirements (interfaces, storage etc)?
- 8 cores (1x8 [preferable] or 2x4)
- 16 G byte memory
- 4 Tera byte disc
- fast CPU

I hope somebody can help me with some suggestions.

A:Buy new server - suggestions needed

I would refer to this good article.

This seems like a pretty good server for your specifications: http://goo.gl/1rIcjH.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/buy-new-server-suggestions-needed.196717/
Relevancy 24.08%

Well, many of you may already be aware of this, but intel has built a backdoor into every vpro processor since ivy bridge and the possibilities can be both useful(fixing tech problems remotely)and sickening(feds framing you with files of incrimination by adding them to your hard drive while off)or maybe(a hacker takes over your computer) and of course industrial sabotage . If you care for personal privacy then you might want to read up. http://www.prisonplanet.com/secret-3g-intel-chip-gives-snoops-backdoor-pc-access.html ​

A:Intel hardware backdoor

Does this only apply to the vpro enterprise processors?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-hardware-backdoor.196671/
Relevancy 19.78%

Good evening fellas The Problem This is an issue I have never run into before on numerous builds My computer wont reset from pressing the reset button or through software reset I was able Computer wont reset (Hard or Software) to get through windows installation by pressing the power button and powering back up This is when I noticed a second issue My computer wont boot to windows with the USB mouse and key board plugged Computer wont reset (Hard or Software) in Front panel or back panel its just a black screen It will post with the USB mouse and keyboard plugged in as I am able to press F to get into bios I tried rearranging the front panel connectors on the mobo running with only the power button hooked up running with the front pannel usb hooked up and looking around bios for any relevant settings cant find anything there related to boot Once in windows I test my hardware by playing about hours straight of AC and doing burn in tests with no errors I am at a loss The Background I recently bought Computer wont reset (Hard or Software) a replacement mobo and power supply to replace a pair that fried due to moisture I bought a new case because I fell out of favor with my old case that had a window pane and led lights and I upgraded my ram to gb x gb modules Essentially I only kept my TB HD DVD-RW Video Card and CPU I tested all of the hard ware I kept in a friends system he let me use for the purpose and those components all burned in well after about hours of benching and burn in testing with no errors The Hardware Mobo Asrock N C-GS http www asrock com mb NVIDIA N C-GS FX CPU Phenom X BE GPU Pallet GT Sonic Edition http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E RAM GB PC http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E PSU Raidmax Hybrid W Modular http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E nbsp

A:Computer wont reset (Hard or Software)

A strange problem indeed.

Triple check your wiring is correct using your motherboard manual. Be sure the motherboard is mounted correctly on the standoffs and no grounds are occurring.

Faulty buttons on the case itself?

Reset bios to optimal defaults, clear cmos.

After that I would return the mobo.

Sorry I cant be more specific, Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-wont-reset-hard-or-software.196539/
Relevancy 18.06%

My motherboard is a Z77 Asrok Extreme 6.

It has four dimm slots. I have One kit of 8 gigabyte memory from Gskill that is DDR3. 'dual channel' (11-11-11-28) PC 2133.

If I get another kit of 8 gig from ANOTHER vendor and its different timings can I put them into the alternate slots and have it work? Say I buy Corsair (9-9-9-9) PC 1600. Would the two kits work against each other since they are different timings? Is this NOT recommended?

Here is another better question. What if I buy the exact same memory from Gskill and drop them in as well? So I have two kits of dual channel 8 gig ram for a total of 16 gigs. Both kits would be same type/speed and latency. Will this work or do I need to use 'quad channel'?

Edited for spelling.

A:Question about installing memory modules

Larsenex said:

If I get another kit of 8 gig from ANOTHER vendor and its different timings can I put them into the alternate slots and have it work? Say I buy Corsair (9-9-9-9) PC 1600. Would the two kits work against each other since they are different timings? Is this NOT recommended?Click to expand...

I'm thinking that different timings will cause issues with Dual Channel functionality. I'm also thinking that Dual Channel only functions if all modules can operate in dual mode. If you are not planning on operating in Dual Channel mode, I don't think it matters. However the modules should operate with the same timing, if they are to be linked together.

Anyway without actually knowing for sure, those are my thoughts.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-installing-memory-modules.196451/
Relevancy 19.35%

My computer battery was replaced by a family member and when I boot up my PC which took about 10 minutes instead of 30 seconds. I noticed that the 2 harddrives were displayed in the bios as raid drives. The 2 harddrives are SATA. However in Windows when I right click on My Computer and select Manage then Device Manager they appear as NTFS format.

I sure that this configuration has something to do with response.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to restore my raid drive back to 2 harddrives under NTFS without loosing my data. I would prefer a software tool or a step by step solution since I am not comfortable with manually making changes to computer settings.
Thank you for your advice in advance to this frustrating problem
Regards
Ntracs (Joe)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/converting-raid-harddrives-back-to-ntfs-with-software-tools.196141/
Relevancy 18.06%

I recently built a computer with the asus OCII GTX 770 gpu and ran a quick stress test with msi kombustor. I set the setting to no anti-aliasing and 720p resolution (not full screen) and ran the furry and tessy (gl4) stress test. At about 7 minutes my gpu got up to about 83 degrees C with fan speed at 100 percent. I stopped the test as I still don't know too much about stress testing and how hot I should really let my GPU get. I know the NVidia website says the max this card can take is about 98 C but I was wondering if at 7 minutes, 83 degrees C was normal or if that is too hot even for this stress test. Thank you.

A:Question about my stress test results for GTX 770

For a stress test, that's pretty normal on an GPU like that, stress testing pushes the GPU to it limits which most of the time is more than games will even push it. As long as your temp stays below the threshold NVidia says (Which in your case is 98) then your fine. I would however, if you want to improve the temp, see if you can improve the airflow around the GPU area, the Asus Cooling system is pulling in air and pushing it down on the GPU which means you have to move the air once its been pushed over the card. I would try adding a fan around the GPU exhausting if your worried.

But honestly, your fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-my-stress-test-results-for-gtx-770.195951/
Relevancy 18.49%

My friend has a laptop and needs to get SD connectivity to be able to download into his computer. He has an HP 6565B laptop with an express card 54 slot. Is there an express card that has an SD adapter built in? Is the express card slot faster than usb 2.0? If not, I guess a usb 2.0 external card reader would be fine. Unless someone has a better idea. Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/express-card-54-question.195661/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hello,

it's kinda weird but last few months my pc was getting slower and slower, and when I decided today to format my pc it wasn't needed anymore, cause I started my pc on, typed pass and right after I typed the pass it goes directly to my desktop, programs starts directly all the same. It's like my pc is fast again...but the question is why???

Regards

A:Performance Question

I am not really sure what the cause of this is, but it happens to me every once and awhile.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/performance-question.194990/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi, in the sound Blaster Z control panel should I set my headphones to stereo or 5.1 for the best surround sound experience? They are stereo headphones.

Thanks

A:Sound Blaster Z settings question

You'll only get virtual surround. Set it to stereo, then enable virtual surround (or whatever it is called).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sound-blaster-z-settings-question.195541/
Relevancy 21.5%

I read online that some people, while making their server build, had to drill holes in the case's back plate or just buying another case. I was just wondering if with this case and motherboard, I would have to drill holes because I know that with server motherboards there isn't really a standard. Thanks to anyone who helps out!

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147155

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182182

A:Server Motherboard with case help

You need to find a rack that can support E-ATX motherboards (extended ATX). Do you need a rack? Or is this just a workstation?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/server-motherboard-with-case-help.195224/
Relevancy 24.51%

Watercooling kit Hardware Help CPU Hey guys evening morning afternoon So I have ordered up k asus hero vengeance pro x GB and Corsair ax and are in need of a WC components for the CPU cooling thermal paste suggestions and whether CLU is worth it tips id appreciate as well So far for the Waterblock I am sticking with XSPC Raystorm which il (CPU) kit Watercooling hardware help get red leds for at some later stage For RAD I need a slim for Cosmos top In terms of a reservoir I am going with a cylinder type something along the lines of this When it comes to tubing black and no restrictions on flex or thickness as long as it all fits within the other components of course Rest of the parts such as the pumps and fittings I have no idea about If you guys could recommend me some rads pumps fittings and anything else I might need id greatly appreciate that Iv never WCooled before and with k getting Watercooling kit hardware help (CPU) rather hot for Ghz id love to get into WCling ASAP My price range is under the cheaper the better but best Watercooling kit hardware help (CPU) possible Watercooling kit hardware help (CPU) temps for a good price Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Watercooling kit hardware help (CPU)

Send a pm to red1776. His setup is more extensive than my own. I'll probably only be chiming on every so often as while I have built my own WC'ing system I haven't built many

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/watercooling-kit-hardware-help-cpu.194730/
Relevancy 18.92%

I have a GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW+ 3GB and I want to add a second card.
My question is do I need to buy a second card that has the same amount of ram or can I buy a 2GB and save $50 bucks since it doesnt use that ram anyway

I have an 800w power supply so that shouldnt be an issue.

A:SLI question

You need to match the cards most of the time, however on ram differences, from what I understand it will just limit the total amount of ram accessible to the lowest amount (In your case 2gb will be useable on both cards). That is at least how it works on the GTX 680 4gb versions if you mix a 2gb together.

I would recommend getting a matching pair, it causes (Or has the chance to cause) more issues then just putting a twin right next to it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sli-question.194121/
Relevancy 21.93%

I posted this before with no answers I also posted this somewhere else with no answers lol So I m going to try more time I bought a motorola cpx series server at a auction I had no idea what it was and now I know it s a telecommunications server Although I really know nothing else about it I can t find any info on it anywhere either The tech that pulled it told me it works great just a with telecommunications What server ? to do out dated for What to do with a telecommunications server ? the state to use and if I don t have the equipment to use it it would make a awesome computer case lol I have no idea how to use this or even make it a computer lol I m alil techy I have built computers but What to do with a telecommunications server ? that s about all I know Looks What to do with a telecommunications server ? like this http thumbs ebaystatic com d w m mfQ ZtZGCaIxXoxNR I have posted on other forums for help and got nothing ANY help would be great thx If you have any questions or need to know anything about it I will answer what I can thx for the help nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-to-do-with-a-telecommunications-server.194219/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi guys first of all I would like to state that this will be my first pc bought piece by piece so I m worried I might be doing something stupid I got a cards + config about graphics Question lappy i with an nvidia gb card on it and it suits me fine but it isn t really built for gaming it overheats a lot so I m looking into a desktop machine I have been reading a lot on the subject and so far this is what I came up with i k Hydro Cooler Corsair h MB asus sabertooth z x GB G Skill Ripjaws DDR MHz OCZ W MODXSTREAM-PRO PLUS SM Hd Wd tb Sata mb rpm GB XFX OR Sapphire RADEON gb LED quot FULLHD AOC Gabinete Thermaltake V Black Edition I m planning to buy an SSD later on Ok my doubts here are - Are all the Question about config + graphics cards parts well chosen if not what changes would you make I can t spend more than state above at the moment - Is this the best card in the price range -Will I be able to Crossfire SLI in the future if needed -Will I be able to play games such as Battlefield and Question about config + graphics cards most recent games at a decent fps fullHD probably nbsp

A:Question about config + graphics cards

You're spending way too much on CPU/MOBO, with a low-end cooler, instead of pumping cash into GPU.

- Get a HD7970 or a GTX770 at minimum.
- Maybe make changes to that PSU, it's not the best brand I hear, and 700W doesn't leave room for expansion.
- You can safely drop down to an i5 (saving $100) and drop down on your mobo (save $100).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-config-graphics-cards.194119/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hello, I am looking a new screen for my sony vaio, the sticker on my screen have this Number: LTN156AT01 plus this three (3) additional numbers "S03" But I see on ebay, many sellers with the same part number LTN156AT01 with differents additional number like : H01 S01 S02 S03 T01 U01 V01 W01 My question is: I have to match, only the first part number LTN156AT01. without regard the other three (3) number whatever it is??? I need to replace the screen, but I am not sure, that I only need the first part number LTN156AT01 also many sellers have this part number for many brand of laptops to replace the screen. Thanks for any help

A:Question about screen to buy

I would go with the last 3 numbers to. It possible their are different version of that part number.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-screen-to-buy.194020/
Relevancy 18.49%

So I have a monitor 1366x768 and I wish to upgrade to a 1920x1080 im currently running a gtx 660

at this moment my pc is connected to my tv which is a 30 inch 1920x1080 and I do struggle abit on games which I get on the near 40 fps at max graphics full resolution but I was wondering is there any difference in fps between a

23 inch monitor 1920x1080 and the 30 inch tv 1920x1080

and is it even worth it of me upgrading my monitor

A:Video resolution question

There won't be as they are the same resolution, the fps depends on the resolution, and the quality settings on the games itself - and good hardware (CPU and GPU) to play it with as well!!. The size of the screen won't affect the fps unless the resolution changes too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-resolution-question.193629/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hello all members,
I was searching for dedicated server for one of my clients and whenever I find a new host, I try to test dedicated server speed by downloading sample files. Recently, I have tested atlantic.net dedicated server speed, but how can I be sure that this speed will remain the same for my client's after buying?

FYI, here is the link from where I have tested dedicated server speed:

atlantic.net/dedicated-servers/dedicated-server-speed-test.htmlClick to expand...

A:Dedicated server speed test

Hmm; would appear that you are referring to a network bandwidth test.
However, as I write this Atlantic.net is DOWN - - ping just gets 110% timeouts.

This link has some reviews you might like to see.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dedicated-server-speed-test.192319/