Windows Support Forum

SATA Drive Letter Assignments

Q: SATA Drive Letter Assignments

If I have 2 IDE drives, each of which has 2 partitions, so that they are assigned as drives:
C/E, D/F
and
I have 2 CD Drives, G & H

If I add an Serial ATA disk what letter is assigned to it? How are my existing drive assignments changed?

Yes I know I can change the drive letter in windows but I like to keep my window (WINXP) drive letter assignments the same as my DOS assignments.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: SATA Drive Letter Assignments

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: SATA Drive Letter Assignments

Is this going to be a boot disc (the SATA) or an add on for storage? Best guess is that a non boot drive will be "G". And of course there is really no DOS in XP.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-drive-letter-assignments.342886/
Relevancy 92.88%

I reinstall Windows after much pain having to disconnect my Linux drive, only to find Windows assigned the system the drive letter of D:\. It then assigned my Games partition the letter C:\,so I cant change that one either.

I found a guide to change the letter of the system drive but it says its not recommended and you should change it back afterwards. So.. what do I do to install Windows onto a C:\ named partition?

I have two HDDs, a 500GB and a 120GB. The 500GB was the only HDD present when installing Windows (setup didnt like the Linux boot loader) but assigned these strange drive letters. I have one optical drive present and it was assigned F:\.

More information will be provided if needed, but I cant think of what else I need to include?

Please help ASAP!

A:Drive letter assignments

You will need to reload the OS.
During the windows install, it will ask you what partition you would like to install windows on. If there is already a C: partition and you do not want to install windows on it, then the only option windows has is to create a new partition and assign a different drive letter for the OS.
Best way to make sure windows installs with the drive letter C: is to wipe the drive clean and create a new partiton for the OS.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/drive-letter-assignments-166378.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I have a quot SC Netgear Storage Central quot network hard drive storage device with partitions requiring in drive letters I also use a gb USB In Letter Random Drive Assignments Changes portable HD for transferring information to clients and Random Changes In Drive Letter Assignments a gb SD card and built-in slot that I transfer pictures from my camera and music to my portable player When I plug in the USB drives or SD slot cards my network drives sometimes change H become I etc Is there a way to permanently assign these drives to specific letters at a higher level such as J K L so that the temporary drives can use the lower ones E F etc Keep in Random Changes In Drive Letter Assignments mind that these quot network quot drives are not true network drives like ones that are on a server but it is a dumb network device that has two hard drives in it they area mirrored Also i have already checked the setup software from Netgear and it does not address this issue Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Random Changes In Drive Letter Assignments

Have you tried mapping the drives from My Network Places?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/89903/random-changes-in-drive-letter-assignments/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi I Assignments to letter Drive need Change recently bought a new PC ZTSystems PC ZT Sysytems Mi Intel i Processor GHz GB DDR RAM sataII TB HDD ati video card watt watts peak Delta PSU Windows bit Home Edition -------------------------------------- want to partition the tb HDD into five partitions C D E F G I shrunk the HDD the maximum allowed MB need to move unmovable file before I can shrink it more started to create another drive in Disk Manager but the new Drive was need to Change Drive letter Assignments assigned drive Letter quot J quot I want to keep the HDD drive assignments sequential C D E F G I'm going to need to Change Drive letter Assignments change the DVD drive letter from quot D quot to quot X quot Win Home Premium bit Device Manager Disk Drives show five Drives generic USB CF reader USB Device generic USB MS reader USB Device generic USB SD reader USB Devic generic USB xD SM reader USB Device SAMSUNG HD UI ATA Device can I change the drive assignment for these devices so i can make the new HDD partition drive letter assignments sequential How can I move unmovable files on quot C quot partition so i can make it smaller Thanks

A:need to Change Drive letter Assignments

The easiest way would be to disable the various readers and then change the HDD around. This will allow you to use successive letters for the drive and then reallocte the letters for the other devices.

Generally the inmoveable file is the swap (Page) file. You can turn the off in order to shrink the drive and then turn it back on when finished. When it is turned back on it will place itself in a different location on the C: drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/need-to-change-drive-letter-assignments-505317.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Well, finally got XP to install and is running well. The only problem is, is that XP has assigned the drive letter H as the primary partition. Before the install I just deleted the old Win98 partition and began the install of XP. It went through the whole schpeil of crating a partition and installing the OS. Went into disk management and lo and behold H is the primary partition. I am sure there is no way to change this other than FDISKing and starting over again with the install.

Relevancy 90.73%

A few days ago I ran into a peculiar and rather perturbing glitch on my Dell XPS system running Windows My internal storage configuration is set up as follows Primary Drive C SSD Storage Space I D and Storage Space II E These are a pair of drives that share a TB virtual storage pool with two-way mirroring running on x TB HDDs I have split the storage space into two so that I can distinguish between dynamic files those that require regular backup and static files those that are required on the system but could be reloaded from outside resources if necessary and handle them appropriately In addition to the above I have a pair of external HDDs L amp M connected via USB ports and an integrated DVD - RW drive H This configuration has run successfully for Drive 8.1 by Window assignments changed letter several months now A day or so before the incident that I describe below I attached a further device via a USB port a REV drive that the OS handles as a CD drive This drive was being used to load a set of files transferred from my previous system I cannot swear Drive letter assignments changed by Window 8.1 to the drive letter that was assigned to the device - I just checked that the expected folder was available and that the transfer of the required files ran as expected However the REV drive is currently back on line and has been given the drive letter F so I believe that must have been the letter originally assigned At that point I left the REV drive and relevant disk online loaded with the intention of doing a folder-by-folder check of the transfer Hoping that the the preceding information is sufficient without including the irrelevant I now come to the incident that is causing me concern At some time the drive letters associated with the internal HDDs were changed Storage Space I becoming drive E and Storage Space II becoming drive F At the same time the REV drive which I presume had been drive F was assigned the letter D I believe that I can pin the time down to a twenty-four hour period between two scheduled backups Part of my daily backup routine is to do an incremental backup of drive D using StorageCraft's ShadowProtect The log for AM on September shows the source of the backup data to be Storage Space I D NTFS and that for the backup twenty-four hours later is shown as Storage Space I E Strangely enough the change of assigned letter didn't seem to faze ShadowProtect it simply added an incremental image file to the chain previously used for drive D which seems to have successfully incorporated the data from what was at that point drive E I assume that ShadowProtect must keep track of the source at a more fundamental level than the data path I believe that something of the same sort must be true of the browser and mail systems that I use because it took another hours or so before the fact that an application was failing because it could not find an expected file drew attention to the problem with the file paths At that time I removed the REV drive showing as D and used the Disk Management facility to change the drive letters of Storage Space i and Storage Space II back to their original settings This appeared to fix any immediate problems although I did note that drive E was now Disk on the Disk Management list and drive D was Disk the reverse of the original setup I thought at first the drive letter re-assignment might have occurred at the same time that I did a restart in safe mode to replace a driver as requested by by a software supplier trying to sort out another bug I have since abandoned this idea as it turned out the timing was wrong but before I had come to this conclusion I had duplicated the safe mode restart to see if I could recreate the problem This did not affect the file path drive letters but I notice that Disks and have gone back to being drives D and E respectively At the moment everything seems to running smoothly again but I am concerned that the problem might show up again unexpectedly possibly causing mo... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/547215/drive-letter-assignments-changed-by-window-81/
Relevancy 90.73%

I used the Disk Management tool to assign specific drive letters to each non-hard drive on my system M for my external firewire MyBook drive R and S for my two CD DVD drives P for a virtual CD DVD drive U for the memory card reader in my HP All-In-One and X for my USB flash drive when it s plugged in But now when I reboot I always lose the drive letter assignment of just some of my CD DVD drives one actual CD DVD drive reverts from quot R quot to quot G quot and one virtual CD DVD drive reverts from quot P quot to quot H *some* Assignments Letter CD/DVD boot every Losing Drive Just quot G amp H are the first drive letters after my internal hard drives partitions None of the others seem to be touched That actual CD DVD drive is installed as Master on the Secondary IDE port The other Losing Just *some* CD/DVD Drive Letter Assignments every boot real drive is Master on the Primary and its drive letter never changes This started happening only recently in the last few days Before then I did not have this problem Naturally I Losing Just *some* CD/DVD Drive Letter Assignments every boot ran extensive anti-virus and Losing Just *some* CD/DVD Drive Letter Assignments every boot anti-malware tools against everything on every drive That includes Avira Classic Free AV and G Data AV with both the Kaspersy and the BitDefender engines A-Squared anti-malware and Spyboy S amp D all with the latest definitions But nothing was found I also run with an absolute minimum of startups out of the or so that would run if I let them I only allow about but that hasn t changed recently There hasn t been any significant changes to my system only a couple of extremely routine software installs I tried uninstalling them again but it made no difference Any ideas about what s going on and how to fix it System Configuration Motherboard Abit IS -- Socket Processor Intel Pentium c CPU GHz Northwood hyper-threaded Chipset Intel i -ICH chipset Intel Springdale Storage Controllers Intel R EB ER Ultra ATA x Total Memory GB Micron Crucial DDR-SDRAM Video Adapter RADEON Series Audio Auzentech X-Meridian Hard Disk WDC WD JD- KLB Hard Disk WDC WD GD- FLC Hard Disk WD External HDD Device IEEE SBP Device CD DVD LITE-ON DVDRW LH- A H FW LL CD DVD NEC DVD RW ND- A FW Operating System s Windows System Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP nbsp

A:Losing Just *some* CD/DVD Drive Letter Assignments every boot

*bump*

Surely someone has an idea or suggestion, don't they?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/losing-just-some-cd-dvd-drive-letter-assignments-every-boot.541290/
Relevancy 89.87%

How do you reset clear all current USB drive letter assignments As a result of changing my external USB Hub controller from a CyberPower CP-H P USB -Port Hub w Power Adapter to a SIIG - A USB w -Ports amp USB w -Ports plus Card Reader w Power Adapter all of my original external USB drive letters were changed The following are my Original and New USB external device drive letters F changed to O Port Hub Patriot Memory GB USB Memory G changed to N Port Hub Desktop Seagate USB H changed to M Port Hub Free Agent Desktop USB assignments? reset current (clear) How do you letter drive all Seagate USB I changed to K Port Hub MyBook Western Digital USB J changed to L Port Hub MyBook Western Digital USB I need to know what steps I must perform to clear reset my current USB drive letter How do you reset (clear) all current USB drive letter assignments? assignments so that I can begin anew starting with the first available drive letter drive letter F Thank you to all for assistance in this matter Rick Flack

A:How do you reset (clear) all current USB drive letter assignments?

Hello RFlackAttack, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You could use either OPTION in the tutorial below to change the drive letters back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/250126-how-do-you-reset-clear-all-current-usb-drive-letter-assignments.html
Relevancy 89.87%

Ok so here s the full story When XP Pro was functional I had partitions on my gig laptop drive in the following order as the appeared physically on the disk C - a gig dos partition for ancient non xp emulation compatible software A linux partition for a common distro the swap partition for the linux distro E - a gig xp pro ntfs partition with my xp pro system files on it Now I believe my CD-ROM was using D at this time for some reason or another I don t quite remember for sure but I am positive that my system part was on E So I grab paragon partition manager and wipe the linux partition and merge drive letter XP Pro assignments changed, System Hangs it with the E partition I must have really messed something up in the merge because System drive letter assignments changed, XP Pro Hangs it ended up changing my e system part to d So now the system goes all the way through the first windows xp splash screen and hangs on the second one after it loads the gui and before it provides the login prompt I ve set up a BartPE disk so that I could load the hkey local user hive to rename the mounted drives but I must be doing something wrong because it saves the changes i make to the mounted drive d to e but it does not actually change the name of the mounted drive it s still showing up as D I have not tried a repair install because I assume it will not work due to the fact that it will detect the windows OS on d and will probably just correct the OS and not any of the applications installed Instead of attempting this I would rather blow away the part and start over from scratch which I will when I get tired of fooling with this Anyways I think I have included most of the information here I believe my flaw is loading the hive with the regedit from BartPE because I have succesfully changed drive letters from inside a windows installation before when disk management disappeared because Dell Array Manager was installed so I am pretty confident it will work for the system drive I don t know when I mount that hive it just seems like it s not mounting the correct one By the way the hive I am mounting is located on d windows system config system If anyone has any ideas I would be more than happy to see a reply nbsp

Relevancy 89.87%

Ok so here's the full story When XP Pro was functional I had partitions on my gig laptop drive in the following order as the appeared physically on the disk C - a gig dos partition for ancient non xp emulation compatible software A linux partition for a common distro the swap partition for the linux distro E - a gig xp pro ntfs partition with my xp pro system files on it Now I believe my CD-ROM was using D at this time for some reason or another I don't quite letter changed, XP drive Hangs assignments Pro System remember for sure but I am positive that my system part was on E So I grab paragon partition manager and wipe the linux partition and merge it with the E partition I must have really messed something up in the merge because it ended up changing my e system part to d So now the system goes all the way through the first windows xp splash screen and hangs on the second one after it loads the gui and before it provides the login System drive letter assignments changed, XP Pro Hangs prompt I've set up a BartPE disk so that I could load the hkey local user System drive letter assignments changed, XP Pro Hangs hive to rename the mounted drives but I must be doing something wrong because it saves the changes i make to the mounted drive System drive letter assignments changed, XP Pro Hangs d to e but it does not actually change the name of the mounted drive it's still showing up as D I have not tried a repair install because I assume it will not work due to the fact that it will detect the windows OS on d and will probably just correct the OS and not any of the applications installed Instead of attempting this I would rather blow away the part and start over from scratch which I will when I get tired of fooling with this Anyways I think I have included most of the information here I believe my flaw is loading the hive with the regedit from BartPE because I have succesfully changed drive letters from inside a windows installation before when disk management disappeared because Dell Array Manager was installed so I am pretty confident it will work for the system drive I don't know when I mount that hive it just seems like it's not mounting the correct one By the way the hive I am mounting is located on d windows system config system If anyone has any ideas I would be more than happy to see a reply

A:System drive letter assignments changed, XP Pro Hangs

If I have understood correctly, you want to change the drive letter from D to E yes? Here is how you change it:
Open Computer Management. (right click My Computer)
In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Right-click the drive, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths, click Change, type the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-drive-letter-assignments-changed-xp-pro-hangs-121856.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I'm playing with a recently retired server running 32bit Windows 7 Professional. Originally it was configured as RAID 0 with 5 SATA drives. Those drives are gone but I want to install a spare 2TB SATA drive that I have. Using the RAID Management software I have created the drive and it shows the correct configured capacity. I initialized the disk with Disk Management and it lists the disk as online but it doesn't show up in the volume list with a drive letter. My intention is to use the 2TB drive as media storage. Other than combing RAID and Windows 7, what am I doing wrong? Am I better off reformatting everything and reloading Windows?

A:Unable to assign drive letter to newly installed SATA drive.

I had the same problem this week with a drive like that. Have you tried to reformat it? Also make sure your system can handle a 2TB drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/213241-unable-assign-drive-letter-newly-installed-sata-drive.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi all,

I bought a new SATA Western Digital HD yesterday (WD3200JD/7200R/8M) as an additional HD. I already have a WD 160G drive running as the master. I've attached the new HD to my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-8I915D Pro), but it is not being recognized or being assigned a drive letter. I can see it in the Device Manager, and the report says it's operating properly, but no dice. Belarc shows it as Drive 1 (although the Device Manager lists its location as "0 (0)" - the same as the master), but does not list in local drives.

I've changed the connection position on the motherboard also with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-8I915D Pro
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

A:SATA HD not assigned drive letter

Any suggestions?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-hd-not-assigned-drive-letter.28952/
Relevancy 71.38%

I am running Windows 7 Pro. Have a external dual dock connected to a estata port. One of the drives assigned letter K often comes up as E and I have to change as application is looking for K. Another disk in this dock works fine. No problems.
Does anyone know why this might be happening or anyway to prevent?
Seems like when I go to disk management and assign K it should stay that way.

A:External Sata drive will not keep assigned drive letter

Quote: Originally Posted by Terrym

I am running Windows 7 Pro. Have a external dual dock connected to a estata port. One of the drives assigned letter K often comes up as E and I have to change as application is looking for K. Another disk in this dock works fine. No problems.
Does anyone know why this might be happening or anyway to prevent?
Seems like when I go to disk management and assign K it should stay that way.

Try assigning a drive letter a "distance" away from your existing drive letters.

For example, change the dock drive letter to Z and see how you get on with that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/175456-external-sata-drive-will-not-keep-assigned-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 70.09%

HI,

I'm trying to assign a drive letter to my sata drive via the computer management utility.

The drive is listed but when I right click the only option available is delete partition.

I want to assign a drive letter so that I can access this drive to hopefully repair a problem I'm having with a corrupt system file that I have listed in another forum.

Relevancy 68.8%

Hi,

I formatted and installed windows 7 64 bit in a pc which previously had windows 7 32 bit.
When i booted my 1tb dynamic disk was not detected. So I went into disk management and it had listed my disk as "Foreign Disk". So i imported the foreign disk.

The drive was detected and opened. So i rebooted the pc but now the drive is still not appearing in my computer. When i go to disk management the 1tb appears but there is no drive letter assigned. When i try to assign drive letter it statest that "Specified File cannot be found"

I am desperate please help me.

A:Unable to assign Drive Letter to Sata Dynamic Hard Diski

somebody please help me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/231820-unable-assign-drive-letter-sata-dynamic-hard-diski.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I am trying to get windows to see this new sata drive on xp box drive is there has data because it was once connected before all cables and connections are good adaptec sata host controller pci card is installed and recognized windows will NOT recognize the drive or give it a drive letter designation in disk manager it shows the drive the volume and calls it a quot dynamic disk quot and is unreadable not XP drive in letter getting drive SATA see the notes below many many kind thanks for your help on this hair-puller oh yes i have searched many many threads on many forums believe me i wouldnt be here posting this situation if i SATA drive not getting drive letter in XP could find the answer -------------- This is an OEM drive Samsung SP C SATA gb The first time I tried to install the drive I had a similar experience -- Windows essentially know it s there but does not assign it a drive letter After much futzing around involving cable swaps driver updates sata host controller driver re-installs windows tweaks jumper settings BIOS upgrades etc not much happened Then one day the SATA drive not getting drive letter in XP drive appeared and had a drive letter H Seriously I proceeded to use it for a few months putting music and pictures on it mainly I was able to access it fine I shutdown restarted many times A month ago I disconnected the drive while it and e t else was powered down I went out of town for a week I came back I put the drive back in and Windows saw it no problem I continued to put data on it Last Thursday Windows stop recognizing SATA drive not getting drive letter in XP the drive for some reason but the drive is still quot there quot Here s how I know a Disk Manager shows the drive as Dynamic Unreadable b SysInfo shows the drive as existant it s the GB drive I dont remember doing anything drastic While I was moving data I happened to delete a user not admin -- just a basic user profile that i didnt need anymore that s the ONLY thing i can remember doing that was system related So what do you think happened I am at wit s end I ve checked many forums for similar problems but can t find an answer Admittedly i AM a moron One guy with a very similar issue used a partition repair program with success DO you think I have a problem like that Corrupted partition tables I think that s the best summary i can give but im sure i ve forgotton something Any help or ideas any of you could offer would be so appreciated that i would likely push everlasting good karma your way thank you again nbsp

Relevancy 62.35%

I assign greyed Paths... Change drive letter. out. and Can't Drive Letter have a drive that has a lot of information on it that I need A user left our company and all of his files are on this drive I was handed it and asked to build a VM with all his information on it When I plug the drive in it loads the drivers and shows up just fine Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter. in Computer Management shown below but not in Computer So I think ok I'll just add a drive letter but that option is greyed out and won't let me The disk Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter. is initialized and appears to be healthy I have gone to device manager and made sure there were no problems there as well It was also an external drive so I removed it and made it an internal drive on my machine but got the same results It shows up in BIOS but obviously can't boot off of it since it is not an OS drive Deleting formatting the drive is not an option Is there a way to get this drive accessible without that Deleting it is the exact opposite of what I want done here nbsp Thanks

A:Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter.

That looks like a mac formatted drive, that's why it wont work on your PC. Try installing Paragon HFS+ for Windows.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1ba097f6-8a0b-43d8-a826-928458c4ba15/change-drive-letter-and-paths-greyed-out-cant-assign-drive-letter?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 61.92%

My machine is an emachines etower 400i; have upgraded to 160 MB RAM and added a Samsung 48-24-48x CD-RW drive. Burner worked fine for the first week, then the computer designated the CD-ROM drive as drives D and F and the CD-RW drive as drives E and G. It will no longer read any CD put into either drive, as it is trying to read them from the non-existent F and G drives, which it doesn't tag as CD devices (has them tagged as "removable drives"). How do I get the thing to not give extra drive assignments to these devices?

A:CD-ROM & CD-RW given 2 drive assignments each

Boot to safe mode and go to device manager and remove any extra drives. They won’t usually show unless you boot in safe mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-rom-cd-rw-given-2-drive-assignments-each.153632/
Relevancy 61.92%

I recently installed a Zip drive. The problem i am having is that the Zip drive took the E: assignment, whereas all my CD's look for the CD-ROM on the E: . I want to know how to reassign the zip drive to F:

A:Drive Assignments

Device Manager, select device, click PROPERTIES, and select SETTINGS. The lower two boxes will show the current drive letter assignment. Make changes and hit APPLY... voila! Not so fast... can't change to another's assignment. Change Zip E: to G: - Change CD-ROM F: to E: - Change Zip G: to F: How's that for confusing?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/drive-assignments.32465/
Relevancy 61.92%

I have what I hope is a Drive Assignments WXP simple question although beyond my limited knowledge On my system I have HDD s one partition each CD DVD an external HDD with partitions and numerous USB ports on the monitor on the front of the CPU and at WXP Drive Assignments least on the back of the CPU In assigning drive letters using Windows XP Disk WXP Drive Assignments Management tool I have come across a Disk and Disk both removable and I can t identify what they are Right now they are assigned as drives G amp H and they say No Media How can I decide what they are and if I can change the drive letters without messing up my system I have put thumb drives in some of the front USB ports but they get assigned the next letter at the end of the available list which currently is K What I am going for is having my USB port thumb drives consistently seen as G amp H Does anyone have a clue what these other two drives are nbsp

A:WXP Drive Assignments

I forgot to add that I have a 3.5" FDD assigned drive letter A:. Drive letter B is available.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wxp-drive-assignments.1065727/
Relevancy 61.92%

hi, i got a small problem (with hopefully a small solution)...

i have the following drive letters assigned :

A: floppy disk
C: primary hard disk
D: dvd rom
E: cdr rom
F: slave hard disk

i just want to change it, so D is my second hard disk...is there a way to do this?

thanks in advance!
jzn.

A:drive name assignments??

You can change them in Disk Management. But if you've installed any software from the CD drives, you'll get errors when trying to run them and/or update them if you change the drive letters.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/drive-name-assignments.300107/
Relevancy 61.06%

sir,

i have windows 7 desktop. there are some partition on it.but there is problem with these partition. All the three partition have the same drive letter.i attach a link showing the picture. all three partitions are dynamic , simple. if i open these drives only the contents of one drive are appeared. another two drive data are not shown in any manner.

i don't want to lose any data from any drive ......
please help me sir...
my windows is installed in c:\ drive which is also dynamic and there are no recent changes.only one change i did which is i shrink dynamic volume 50 GB from 206 GB and again mixed with 206 GB without allocating free space.

and only the c drive is on and d drive is off.but in my other desktop same configuration exist.
please help me...and please don't say change and remove drive letter...........waiting for response

A:changing one drive letter all 3 partitions change to that drive letter

First thing you're going to do is fill in the specs of the desktop whose snips you are showing us.

Then you're going to do the same with the second pc opening a second post with snips. Give it a different title like "Second pc with drive letters the same". Don't forget the snips.

You should not have dynamic disks in either machine. What did you do to accomplish this?

There exists a bevy of spectacular experts on this site that will be happy to help you. But give us ALL the info please.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/281527-changing-one-drive-letter-all-3-partitions-change-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have PC s networked together desktops running WinXP sp laptops running WinXP sp laptop running Win Vista sp All except the Vista laptop are from - years old but we cannot afford replacements The oldest desktop has always been designated as the quot server quot where most files are stored That desktop is backed up by Carbonite so I am not too worried about losing data All PC s assignments network drive loses WinXP + are running Spybot S amp D and AVG Free Virus protection with automatic updates and scans I am assured that there is a firewall in the Linksys router This week several things have happened -One XP laptop keeps losing its video blank screen even on attached external monitor it sometimes comes back to normal after being turned off for hours -The other XP laptop is very much slower that it was a week ago and when I try to run Firefox it freezes the entire computer I have uninstalled Firefox and will try a clean install when I return to the office next week IE WinXP network loses drive assignments + runs fine on it -The Vista laptop seems normal for a Vista laptop -One XP desktop is newer and faster than the others so I had put all quot server quot files there and was using it as the server for the last month Until I was confident of the arrangement s stability it s changed WinXP network loses drive assignments + files were transferred daily to the old server for Carbonite backup It s relevant file structure PM isa-files was designated as WinXP network loses drive assignments + quot B quot to all the other PC s in the network Today the other PC s could no longer get to their B drive - sometimes A ghost drive PM isa-files appeared in the available network drives listing and I could connect to that - sometimes My fix I made sure the latest files are on the original quot server quot and pointed all other PC s to it Now I m waiting for another problem to crop up Could all of these things be related Is there a virus or Trojan that could cause this Or are we just the victim of a massive bad coincidence Any suggestions are appreciated - Thanks Linda

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/195214/winxp-network-loses-drive-assignments/
Relevancy 59.77%

I want to rename drive E (10gigs) to lets say drive S...is it as simple as right clicking and renaming the drive in most cases right?. This is a one owner non networked home pc. (windows xp)

thks

T

A:Solved: renaming extended partition drive letter to another letter...plz help

Right click on My Computer . . select Manage . . then Disk Management . .

In Disk Management, right click on the Drive an select change letter assignment . .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-renaming-extended-partition-drive-letter-to-another-letter-plz-help.349348/
Relevancy 59.34%

I lost my Event Viewer, and had to do a repair installation to fix it. Unfortunately, during the repair install, Windows decided to rename my second HD as the D: drive... it was K: before that. Now I cannot access any of my docs, pictures, music, or videos through the normal means... they don't show up in libraries or explorer, and apps like Restorator and Sure Thing (CD labeler) cannot find them. I think that means the paths are broken..?

It won't allow me to rename the HD back into K: (it's not listed as available). I can access the data by clicking Computer > D, and I can see the data is there, but its unusable as of now. Any ideas?

A:Can't change hard drive letter to needed letter

Hello Stevie,

To be safe, you should create a restore point before doing this in case you make a mistake and need to use it to do a system restore.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

1. If the K letter is not being used by another internal drive, then you can open regedit and navigate to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
2. In the left pane, Take ownership (step 2 in Option Two of METHOD TWO) of the registry key MountedDevices and "Allow" yourself "Full Control" of it as well.

3. In the right pane of MountedDevices, right click on \DosDevices\K: and click on Delete and OK.

4. Restart the computer to apply. You should now be able to change the second hard drive letter to K.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/39481-cant-change-hard-drive-letter-needed-letter.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello

I had to open my pc and remove drives. Once re-installed, one of the drive has seen it's letter allocation modified. Since 2 application is pointing to G drive, I would like to be able to get it back.

Hard disk (2) Was G: Now, show has a D:
CD drive was D: Now show has E:

G: appear had a "movable" drive

What can I do to replace all drive letter allocation has it use to be

Any info appreciated

Martin

A:modifying drive letter: Letter to choose not in the list

To find out why the preferred letter is not available. Type disk management in the search bar on the start menu and select "create and format hard disk partitions". Look to see if the letter you want to use is already in use. If it is you will have to change it first.

This link might be helpful.
How to change drive letters--even when the letter you want isn't available | PCWorld

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/363437-modifying-drive-letter-letter-choose-not-list.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Want to Assign a drive letter to a partitioned device but the letter is not in the list

I created a partitioned drive I went to assign letter G but I don't see it in the list. no drive is using the letter G I do believe that some USB is using letter G, but I don't see my USBs ( see image)

What can I do?

Thanks
CE

A:Want to Assign a drive letter to a partitioned device but the letter i

Do you have any USB storage devices like a card reader hooked up? Those would take up extra drive letters but not show up in Explorer until you put some media in.

I also notice you have disk drives C: and F: and a DVD drive on D: which makes me wonder where E: is...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192372-want-assign-drive-letter-partitioned-device-but-letter-i.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi Guys' I have a sata 160Gb hdd as second drv (ntfs) on XP home.I must have had too much wine for dinner as I formatted it & then ghosted my C drive onto it. Unfortunately the C drv is FAT 32. Now the drive ID letter (F has gone. I can still see the drive in disk manager but cant access it. Is there a way of low level formatting it ? I dont mind losing the data. Thanks Manfred.

I do have a good relationship with my PC - just a bit strained at times.

A:Lost hdd id letter on sata hdd

Oh yes, two Primary Active HardDrives.

You should still see it in My Computer
Where you can right click on it and select Format...

Or just use a Windows CD to boot from and remove it from there
(I usually unplug the main one just to make sure that I don't remove the partition (and format) that)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-hdd-id-letter-on-sata-hdd.104822/
Relevancy 55.47%

I am using an HP Pavilion dv running Windows I have retrieved a GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue HDD from another HDD, Adapter, Sees USB-SATA System Assigns Letter... Using Windows laptop This is the main hard drive with the OS installed When still in that laptop the computer won t boot up at all It brings up the very first screen for about five seconds and then the entire laptop powers down then repeats infinitely I am using a Apricorn brand USB to SATA adapter to read the HD externally The adapter works and is working properly having tested with another drive When Using USB-SATA Adapter, System Sees HDD, Assigns Letter... I plug the adapter in the drive spins up almost immediately a quot G quot partition appears in quot Devices and Drives quot on my laptop This partition is labeled quot System Reserved quot and is MB in size with no data on it A Using USB-SATA Adapter, System Sees HDD, Assigns Letter... minute or so later an quot H quot partition appears but that s the extent of it A green loading bar starts at the top fills and just sits there loading If I try to click on the H drive to open it a spinning wheel appears and it seems to try but nothing happens If I right click on the drive and click properties nothing comes up If I try to open Disk Management while the disk is plugged in the window opens but it just hangs at quot Loading Virtual Disc quot but won t open up I attempted to run ChkDsk from the dos prompt When I type CHKDSK G it says it finds no problems When I type CHKDSK H it just hangs there surprise surprise At this point I don t know what to do and I m in a panic to salvage the data from this drive Any help is deeply appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-usb-sata-adapter-system-sees-hdd-assigns-letter.1163974/
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm just curious, because if we can assign a letter for a drive [for example, C:], then, can I assign a letter to a folder? Because when I save/open a file or anything like that, I can just type the letter of the drive if I want to access a drive, so I wish I could assign a letter to a folder.

A:Solved: If I can assign a drive letter, can I assign a folder letter?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-if-i-can-assign-a-drive-letter-can-i-assign-a-folder-letter.393994/
Relevancy 50.74%

I want to transfer data from my hard drive in my laptop (Lenovo Y480) to a hard drive in my desktop. the cables for the sata adapter do not fit the hard drive from the laptop. Is there a different form for a 2.5 hard drive and a 3.5 hard drive?

A:sata to usb adapter cable dosen't fit sata hard drive in laptop?

Does the drive have an adapter need to remove to expose the SATA conenctors? I don;t see anything about the Y480 not having a standard SATA drive and laptop and desktop SATA connectors are the same.

Maybe post pictures of both the drive and your SATA cables.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-to-usb-adapter-cable-dosent-fit-sata-hard-drive-in-laptop.1136877/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi, hopefully should be straight forward enough...

I have just bought one of these space saving Acer Revos which does not come with an Optical drive.

I have a Blu-ray reader (dvd writer) which is SATA, but the Revo only has USB or eSATA.
So... i was wondering what is needed to get this (SATA) drive to work via eSATA or usb?

Is it as simple as a SATA to eSATA cable or will this not give the necessary power to the drive?

Or do i need an eSATA enclosure, and if so what size for an optical drive 5.2?

Cheers for any help.

A:New PC with no optical drive or SATA connection (can i use a SATA drive in it?)

Ya no problem use it. For more details contact us at www.sacatech.com

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-pc-with-no-optical-drive-or-sata-connection-can-i-use-a-sata-drive-in-it.977131/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi i m of SATA onto Drive Problems Windows recognized. XP SATA Installation not HD. new to this site but very familiar with technology i built this machine myself im currently running off my old HD but i want to reinstall windows onto my new SATA hardrive GB this one is an IDE The BIOS and Nvidia Raid config recognize the drive but the Installation Problems of Windows XP onto SATA HD. SATA Drive not recognized. windows installation does not I was reading this thread on this site that i foudn from google http forums techguy org hardware -bios-windows-do-not-recognize html because he has the same MB as myself but different hard drives I am currently in the process of trying what he did but i do not have a floppy drive I only have a CD drive and a GB floppy drive i m going to try these routes first for the configuartion software but if not im going to see if i can find one laying around IF i cant find one and the CD flash drive don t work is there another way to try the methods described in the previous web link Hard Drives are Western Digital Caviar nbsp

A:Installation Problems of Windows XP onto SATA HD. SATA Drive not recognized.

Most newerBIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting, change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( Verbage will vary by manufacturer )

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installation-problems-of-windows-xp-onto-sata-hd-sata-drive-not-recognized.773644/
Relevancy 50.31%

Have just installed a new 8.7 Maxtor in a P100. This drive is set as master and partitioned into 5 which assigns drive letters c,d,e,f,g . If I re-install the old 500mb drive unit as a slave ( Quantum Maverick) it assigns itself as drive letter D. I want this drive to show up as drive H . If I go to Device manager, hard drives, double click on generic ide type 47, settings, for this drive the drive letter assignment is there, but I cannot change it. Any ideas please.

A:{SOLVED} Slave drive letter inserts itself within master partition drive letters

I don't think you can change it. Normally the bios will take the primary of the 1st ide drive as c, the primary of the second ide as d, the next partition of the primary ide drive as e, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slave-drive-letter-inserts-itself-within-master-partition-drive-letters.32527/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have a USB external hard drive that I keep all my documents etc on had it change Hard Drive back - Letter - to External Drive unable changed for years I upgraded from Vista Home to amp Home Premium then had to upgrade recently to Professional to run my Sage Through all these upgrades my ext drive ran fine Occasionally the drvie letter would change if I had something else plugged into the USB this was External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back always easily corected in disk management by changing the drive path The connection on the case packed up so I had to get the External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back drive put into a new case now when I plug it in the drive is assigned G instead of F I tried to change the drive letter allocation in Disk Management but it won't let me as the program still thinks I have a second ext hard drive which is labelled F I suspect this has happened because when the usb connection broke the drive was disconnected suddenly instead of a proper eject How do I get Disk Management to remove the inactive drive - i can't find any obvious way - eject delete etc are all missing when I click on tools or tasks If there is no easy way then how do I stop program updates for Adobe etc failing because they can not find the F drive I don't know why they look at that drive anyway Help

A:External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back

Hi PAMDILL,

Welcome aboard.

Try this:

Download drivecleanup.zip V 0.8.1 from

Drive Tools for Windows

Unzip to a folder. In it you will have two folders Win32 and x64, each containing DriveCleanup.exe for Windows 32bit and 64 bit respectively.

Now unplug all the USB devices from your PC (except of course the Keyboard and mouse), right click on the appropriate DriveCleanup.exe for your system and run it as an administrator.

This will remove all non-present drives from the registry.

Reboot and then plug-in your external drive.

The drive will be installed and hopefully you should be able to assign any free drive letter to it.

Please report whether it resolved your problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/248054-external-hard-drive-drive-letter-changed-unable-change-back.html
Relevancy 50.31%

My External Hard Drive (My Book) was always Drive letter F.

I went to sleep and woke up to find Windows 7 Pro had updated and rebooted and I was welcomed by my login screen.

Consequently now my My Book external HDD now reads as Drive letter G.

I went into Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

Drive letter F is not available.

F is assigned to a drive that does not exist and never has. I am confused. I only have one CD drive and it says now that I have 2 even though the one addressed as F doesn't have any information. If I click on F it says "Insert Disk"

A:External Hard Drive (F) Drive Letter changed to G - Can't change back

Update: The mysterious other CD Rom drive seems to be MagicJack.

I did some research but the following tech help did NOT work as you can see by the previous post picture that it doesn't not show it up in Disk Management:

MagicJack/Support Resources/How-To/Assign Drive Letters - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/311689-external-hard-drive-f-drive-letter-changed-g-cant-change-back.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I'm booting off my SSD which is drive C:\ and I have games and programs on an extra hard drive which was origanally drive H:\ but after a restart it switched to I:\ and when I go into Disk Management to change it Drive H:\ isn't there.

A:Hard drive isnt allowed to change the correct drive letter

Hi KiityCancer,

What you say makes perfect sense. So, if a restart changed the drive letter to I, then H won't be there. Why not just leave it at I or is there more to this story...

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/21584-hard-drive-isnt-allowed-change-correct-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 50.31%

i can't get my puter to read the data on an external hard drive. wants me to format it even though it recognizes the drive letter i gave it when i did format it. don't want to lose the 100+ gigs of data i have on this drive.

A:my computer recognizes the drive letter but not the data on external hard drive

Does the external drive work on another machine?

Also, while the drive is still connected, can you go into Device Manager (right-click My Computer, click on 'Manage...', click on 'Device Manager') to check for any yellow exclamation marks or red crosses next to anything in there?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-recognizes-the-drive-letter-but-not-the-data-on-external-hard-drive.472352/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi Bit of background first my old harddrive which was split into C and D approx gig each went Kaput had it replaced with an SSD at my request because I heard they to backup & causing drive problems letter external rename Drive Changes to don't overheat and are faster by an experienced computer technician and no longer having to deal with split drives suited me fine I only have half the storage space now about Gg in comparison to Gg but cost was a factor at the time SSD's being so expensive Very happy with the new SSD Changes to Drive letter & rename causing backup problems to external drive speed etc My operating system is Windows Home Changes to Drive letter & rename causing backup problems to external drive Premium bit SP My backups were all stored on a Goflex external harddrive which the technician accidentally dropped on the floor he then replaced this with an external drive with an on off switch Pleased about the Changes to Drive letter & rename causing backup problems to external drive on off switch the other didn't have one very upset about the dropping my other one All working fine doing my backups to my new external drive he gave me using my Acronis True Image software version that I had always used My old external drive was set up to drive E and all my previous backups in Acronis show drive E so perhaps this is why the technician set this new one up to Drive F not sure And maybe this is why I got the error message below Well in my infinite wisdom which with computer technology isn't great I must admit I suddenly decided I wanted to backup to an external drive with the letter E E for External seemed so much more practical to me just like before not F like now so I found out how to go and change the letter from F to E again and also the name of the drive I got a message after I changed the drive letter to E saying this might cause a problem with some files or something but I did it anyway feeling adventurous at the time Kind of regretting it now I had run a complete PC backup with Acronis software to external drive F on the st March which went completely smoothly Then I think I did a backup of just files and folders on rd March also Then after I changed that drive letter to E and then gave the drive an entirely new name cause I didn't like the name the tech had given it I then did another complete PC backup After this I got a system message from Acronis that said Warning The specified file path does not exist Click RETRY to try to read from the same location To Create a new version according to the current backup scheme click CANCEL I opted to click CANCEL not RETRY Was this a good or bad choice So far haven't received any advice from Acronis regarding this matter My question is have I stuffed up future backups by changing the drive letter and renaming the drive If so how do I rectify it Help someone LOLRegards Jen

A:Changes to Drive letter & rename causing backup problems to external drive

I don't use Acronis, but if you think changing the drive letter caused a problem, can't you just change it back?  The Administrative Tools applet of the Control Panel is what I've always used to change drive letters. Changing the name (I assume you mean the drive label) should have no effect.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608721/changes-to-drive-letter-rename-causing-backup-problems-to-external-drive/
Relevancy 50.31%

xp cannot find it disk manager can do format and no drive letter help please thank you permalink robtonet Registered User Join Date Apr Posts OS xp help trying to initialize an external hard drive on xp home ed -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- i may not know enough about the problem to completly describe it but i will begin an gig external hard drive was given to me it was rebuilt on a win system my home edition of win xp--reconginzes it as disk - in disk manager however it is not formatted or able to be found and does not have a drive letter assigend to it i logged on as quot administrator quot in safe mode to see if i could get the drive path settings option to maxtor external hard drive drive and by letter undesignated unformatted come up in disk manager i could not-------does any of this make any sense to anyone that option still does not come up under user or administrator in disk managment--so it is unformatted and has no drive letter thus xp cannot find it OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version Service Pack Build OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name System Manufacturer Dell Inc System Model ME System Type X -based PC Processor x Family Model Stepping GenuineIntel Mhz BIOS Version Date Dell Inc A SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C WINDOWS System Directory C WINDOWS system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot xpsp sp rtm - quot User Name Time Zone Central Daylight Time Total Physical Memory MB Available Physical Memory MB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys and here it is the maxtor HID-compliant mouse HID VID D amp PID C D amp CF B amp amp Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS C maxtor external hard drive unformatted and undesignated by drive letter amp REV maxtor external hard drive unformatted and undesignated by drive letter amp AAA amp amp E Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS C amp REV amp AAA amp amp E Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - A PCI VEN amp DEV A amp SUBSYS C amp REV amp AAA amp amp EA Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - B PCI VEN amp DEV B amp SUBSYS C amp REV amp AAA amp amp EB Intel R FB FBM USB Enhanced Host Controller - C PCI VEN amp DEV C amp SUBSYS C maxtor external hard drive unformatted and undesignated by drive letter amp REV amp AAA amp amp EF MAXTOR L J USB Device USBSTOR DISK amp VEN MAXTOR amp PROD L J amp REV amp USB Human Interface Device USB VID D amp PID C D amp F D amp amp USB Mass Storage Device USB VID C B amp PID BCF USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp F amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp A B amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp A EC amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp DBF amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp E B A amp it is on the system and the system reconginizes it but i cant find it click on it and it is not in my list when i open start and explore devices any help -------it apparently needs to be formatted with nfts or fat i am lost i am afraid this will be a sort of convuleted email tag deal so thanks for you help-------robtonet yahoo com

A:maxtor external hard drive unformatted and undesignated by drive letter

What size is the hard drive?

Do you know what motherboard you have?

STEP 1: CHECK POWER (click for expanded instructions further down the page)

Verify that the drive light and the light on the AC adapter (power supply) is illuminated normally.
It is sometimes necessary to contact Technical Support for troubleshooting and/or possibly to replace the power supply if it behaves unusually.

STEP 2: CHECK CABLING (click for expanded instructions further down the page)

Confirm that your USB/Firewire cable is firmly connected in a port that is on the rear of your desktop computer (if you have a desktop).
Try another USB or Firewire port.
If your drive is powered only by USB, such as the FreeAgent Go, the Maxtor OneTouch mini, and the Seagate Portable drive, then the drive's cable has two USB connectors. Try connecting both of the free USB connectors into a USB port for maximum power availability.
Avoid connecting the drive via a USB hub for now.

STEP 3: WINDOWS SERVICE PACKS

Follow these instructions to ensure that your installation of Windows XP/2000 has been updated to the latest Windows Service Pack.

Right-click on My Computer and choose Properties.

The System Properties window will appear. On the General tab (which will be at the front), see the "System:" information.

For Windows 2000: Update to Service Pack 4.

For Windows XP: Update to Service Pack 2.

Allow your computer to complete the installation of the Service Pack.

Reboot the computer and connect the drive. Turn it on and see if the drive is detected now.

STEP 4: CHECK DISK MANAGEMENT (click for expanded instructions further down the page)

Check Disk Management to see if the drive is detected there.

Right-click on My Computer, select Manage, select Disk Management.

Check the upper window to find whether the drive letter is present.

Check the lower window to find whether the drive is detected (such as, Disk 1, Disk 2, etc).

If it is detected as with a drive letter, verify no other device is already using that drive letter. If it is, change the drive letter of the external drive to some unused letter (click here to see more instructions on how to do so).

If changing the drive letter is not possible or the drive does not have a drive letter at all, attempt to reformat the drive (click here to see more instructions on how to do so). This will erase any data on the drive, but since the drive is brand new, there is nothing to erase on it.

If it is still not detected, proceed to Step 4.

STEP 5: CHECK DEVICE MANAGER (click for expanded instructions further down the page)

Verify that your Windows installation contains the most recent Service Pack.

In the left column of Computer Management, click on Device Manager.

Look for the drive?s model number/name in Disk drives (a category under Device Manager).

It will probably not be there. If it is, test the drive on another computer if you can.

If it is not there, check under Other devices (a category under Device Manager).

If under Other devices an Unknown device appears, double-click on it.

Under the General tab, we would expect to see "This device is not working properly" and either (Code 28) or (Code 10).

If Code 10 appears, the drive has most probably failed.
Double-check that you have installed the most up-to-date Windows Service Pack.
Verify by trying the drive with another USB cable or port, or on another computer.
If none of this gets the drive detected, you can begin a replacement order online, or, since the drive is new, you can usually exchange the faulty unit for a replacement at your place of purchase (please contact the place of purchase for a full explanation of their policy regarding returns).

If Code 28 appears, you will need to test the drive on another computer. If the drive works fine on another computer, follow the procedure in this Knowledge... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/maxtor-external-hard-drive-unformatted-and-undesignated-by-drive-letter-240156.html
Relevancy 50.31%

The time has come for me to wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows following a recent to SATA Disk 3 Drive Hard Upgrading from SATA disastrous download that's effectively knocked out my Internet Explorer and Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive rendered Internet browsing difficult My system has since become unstable and progressively slow and unfortunately for some reason I am unable to Restore to any previous installation As I have loads of files I want to access I've decided get a new Hard Disk and run the original H drive if possible from a SATA drive Docking Station So essentially I would like to know if my Dell DXC will run and support a new Seagate Tb SATA rpm Barracuda My BIOS is Ver dated I have opened the CPU to see Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive that the current drive connectors appear similar to those Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive on the SATA Docking Station and think my old drive will fit it However it's now occurred to me that its possible the newSATA drive may not be compatible with my BIOS or Motherboard Any help or comments please Incidentally I have most of my most useful files backed up on an external drive so all hopefully is not lost

A:Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive

You need a SATA3 port to connect a SATA3 HDD to be fully compatible.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/318314-upgrading-hard-disk-sata-sata-3-drive.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I have 2 IDE HDs installed and added SATA drive lately. SATA runs in IDE mode in CMOS. Problem is, even though SATA drive is recognized by BIOS, Disk Manager, Norton Ghost & System Works, it doesn't show in My Computer, causing problems with saving and opening files. Tried a couple of tricks (changing the drive letter,disconnecting & reconnecting the drive, reformatting etc. ) nothing seems to work. I use this SATA drive for storage and for now I have to drag the files down there manually.
I don't know if it's of any importance, but I have nVidia GeForce graphics card onboard.
Has anyone encountered this kind of a problem ?
Thanks Carl

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sata-ide-hard-drives-no-sata-drive-in-my-computer-223799.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I'm wanting to upgrade to a better mainboard. I don't know much about SATA, but I've been using a SATA I hard drive very successfully through a pci controller card.

My question: If I get a new motherboard with SATA II headers, will it readily accept my SATA I hard drive? I can see how the reverse might not work, that is, not being able to connect a SATA II hard drive in a SATA I header, but maybe I'm wrong on that...?

A:Will SATA II mobo headers accept SATA I drive?

Yes, sata 3gb/s ports(commonly called sata II), are designed to be backward compatible. I'm using a sata I hd on my sata 3gb/s port on my chaintech vnf4/ultra, so yeah, it works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-sata-ii-mobo-headers-accept-sata-i-drive.44848/
Relevancy 50.31%

Got a strange problem that popped up recently.

When I am in windows explorer and my drive letters are in the right side pane of the window...(IE clicking on My Computer in the left pane shows all drive in the right pane..) Instead of opening up that drive's folders, it pops up the search window.

Before I had just clicked on the drive and it expanded out and you could click on the files on that drive.

Anyone know what might cause this to change or what I can do to change it back?

Not a major issue, but it's puzzling as to how it got that way.

Thanks in advance...

A:Solved: Windows Explorer-Clicking on Drive Letter opens up Search instead of Exploring Drive!

Download and run this fix.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-explorer-clicking-on-drive-letter-opens-up-search-instead-of-exploring-drive.403264/
Relevancy 50.31%

I've posted on the problem I'm having with my Storage Space set to file -way duplication before nbsp I know I'm going to lose some files nbsp I removed one drive to reformat it to a larger clustersize and while the array was repairing itself I lost a TB drive that will no longer letter) a to Array (no get damaged Cannot drive invisible Spaces - Storage retire remains drive connect I've quot Removed quot the drive and gotten the error quot Can't remove the drive from the pool quot because quot not all the data could be reallocated nbsp Add an additional drive quot I already can't re-add the old TB drive even though I've done nothing to it because Storage Spaces says it's now an quot unrecognized configuration quot nbsp At least a disk recovery tool can find files on it though they're all named nnnnnn JPG or nnnnnn AVI or nnnnnn DOC However my TB array X can't be seen because it thinks it's lost two drives - fair enough - and even though I know I'm going Cannot get Storage Spaces to retire a damaged drive - Array remains invisible (no drive letter) to lose some files the most important of which were backed up in File History it refuses to allow me to remove the faulty TB drive nbsp nbsp I added a new disk and it STILL won't let me nbsp How can I get my X drive back All of the disks in the array are - full - there's PLENTY Cannot get Storage Spaces to retire a damaged drive - Array remains invisible (no drive letter) of space to duplicate the files that ARE down to one copy nbsp What can I do As per a suggestion in my other thread I tried a System Restore to before the point where I'd Removed the TB drive and that didn't help since I couldn't select the X drive to restore

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a703c82a-94c9-42e1-bba3-8adf9812a35b/cannot-get-storage-spaces-to-retire-a-damaged-drive-array-remains-invisible-no-drive-letter?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 49.88%

Normal Drive letter vs Mounting a volume as an empty folder

Hello,

I was wondering what the prime uses for a logical drive (just assigning it as the letter F: for example ) might be vs. Mounting the logical drive as an empty folder that supports drive paths?

And why someone would want to use one option vs. the latter? (common uses).

thanks for any ideas.

(I only have one hard drive, so this would be an extended partition on the same disk)

A:Solved: Logical drive question: Normal Drive letter vs Mounting as a volume as empty folder

Here's a link to explain it: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mount_Windows_partitions_(DOS,_FAT,NTFS))

Good luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-logical-drive-question-normal-drive-letter-vs-mounting-as-a-volume-as-empty-folder.530132/
Relevancy 49.88%

Well I was lucky The HD that failed this morning works if I lay it on its side So I was able to ghost everything over to the new drive problems Solved: Drive ghosted with assignment drive letter I ghosted Solved: Drive letter assignment problems with ghosted drive the boot partition Solved: Drive letter assignment problems with ghosted drive c to r I m using Windows SP The new boot drive is SATA The old failing boot drive is IDE I worked through a number of problems but I m left with this When the system boots into the new drive R it still wants the boot partition c for something If I boot with the IDE disconnected it ll boot to the login screen and allow me to log in but after a few minutes of a blank screen amp cursor it drops back to the login I have PartitionMagic and used DriveMapper to change all references to C to R but that didn t do it How do I cut my system s dependence on the failing drive before it fails altogether Will this work I found the following advice from crjdriver and was wondering if this would work for my particular problem Make a full system backup of the computer and system state Log on as an Administrator Start Regedt exe Go to the following registry key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM MountedDevices Click MountedDevices On the Security menu click Permissions Verify that Administrators have full control Change this back when you are finished with these steps Quit Regedt exe and then start Regedit exe Locate the following registry key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM MountedDevices Find the drive letter you want to change to new Look for quot DosDevices C quot Right-click DosDevices C and then click Rename Note You must use Regedit instead of Regedt to rename this registry key Rename it to an unused drive letter quot DosDevices Z quot This frees up drive letter C Find the drive letter you want changed Look for quot DosDevices D quot Right-click DosDevices D and then click Rename Rename it to the appropriate new drive letter quot DosDevices C quot Click the value for DosDevices Z click Rename and then name it back to quot DosDevices D quot Quit Regedit and then start Regedt Change the permissions back to the previous setting for Administrators this should probably be Read Only Restart the computer nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

I have Win 7 home premium on an HP laptop with 4 usb ports. I have 2 Western Digital Elements 1.5 TB drives for backups. If I plug in one of the drives, Win assigns a drive letter, but if I add the second one it doesn't.

To troubleshoot, I've plugged each drive into every usb port on the laptop, and each port reads each drive alone, but if I plug in the second drive while the first is still in, it shoes up in devices but does not get a drive letter. I tried assigning a different drive letter to the device plugged in first, but Win still doesn't assign a letter to the second drive.

Any advice? Thanks!

A:Win 7 doesn't assign drive letter with 2nd Western Dig Elements drive

Did you try to plug them in reverse order (the second drive first and when that's recognized, plug in the first one)
My drives are WD My Book 1TB and 2TB. at first they refused to play together nicely.
I had to run the WD-DriveManager (which came with the 1TB drive) once to " beat" them into submission

Good Luck
-DG

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/159302-win-7-doesnt-assign-drive-letter-2nd-western-dig-elements-drive.html
Relevancy 49.88%

A laptop has 5 mapped drives which are only used on the office. Offline files is not an option. When a user on the road clicks on a mapped drive by mistake, the explorer window locks up while it tries to find it.

OK, but what is infuriating is what it does when it can't fid it.
Instead of doing something sensible like taking the explorer window to C: drive or desktop, it goes to the next drive letter. Of course this is also unavailable. So the machine is essentially unusable for about 5 minutes if the user mis-clicks once.

Any way to change this behaviour ?
XP Home and Pro.

A:When mapped drive not found, explorer goes to next drive letter. Delays.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/when-mapped-drive-not-found-explorer-goes-to-next-drive-letter-delays.537627/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi Ok here s the situation I want to install XP Pro on a former XP HE I say former letter (formerly drive xp C) on E system or reinstall drive volume change because there are so many corrupt damaged system files that no Win DVD or live CDs can recognize it on a Vaio VGN-A B laptop I would prefer to do a factory recovery from the recovery partition but there seem to be some problems too it can t set up properly In short I got the error quot unmountable drive quot after a system crash After trying unsuccessfully to repair it with the recovery console doing chkdsk fixboot fixmbr I tried to replace the files using the repair xp reinstall on drive E (formerly drive C) or change system volume letter option on a xp reinstall on drive E (formerly drive C) or change system volume letter Win DVD not from the recovery console but it couldn t see any previous Windows installations and only listed the partitions leaving me with set up create delete options I made a BartPE DVD to copy and save some personal files on an external drive Unfortunately BartPE completely messed up the drive partition letters xp reinstall on drive E (formerly drive C) or change system volume letter and gave the letter E to the external drive but E was the hidden vaio recovery partition so C was assigned to it After restarting the laptop and unplugging the external drive the vaio recovery partition kept the letter C and E was given to the system volume So now I am left with a laptop that tries to boot from the unworking recovery partition it worked before the letter change and a useless system volume that doesn t work I tried to change the letters and give back the E to the vaio recovery partition hoping that it would work but I can t I tried diskpart using ERD commander seemed to work but when I rebooted nothing was changed I can t load the registry since windows isn t recognized so I can t change them from there either So now I think that all I m left with is using the XP DVD to reinstall the OS but I can t install it on C since it s the recovery partition MB in size so I don t have many options I must install it on E there s D too but I wish to keep it intact Would it be a problem Does anyone know of a way to change the partition letters knowing that I can t load the registry in a live CD and that doing diskpart from a cmd prompt in a live CD didn t change anything nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-reinstall-on-drive-e-formerly-drive-c-or-change-system-volume-letter.979729/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi I have an anternal media drive whith a number of hidden partitions which do not show up in Magic Drive Format Drive Letter Partition - A Assigning WITHOUT windows One of these partitions had become corrupted and unuseable and I would like to try re formatting it to fix the error In Partition Magic there are a number of drives listed Some of the drives on the partition have assigned drive letters but the one I want to format has is greyed out and listed with a infront of it Partition Magic will let me enter the drive to Partition Magic - Format Drive WITHOUT Assigning A Drive Letter view details and even gives me the option to format it BUT then wants to assign the drive the letter A If I do this then the media drive will be unable to work as it will have lost the file path it needs to record on to I just wnat to re format this drive with whatever freeware and have the drive letter wich is currently unassigned untouched so that the media player never knows its been formatted File system is FAT partition size is gb using Partition Magic there are partitions with assigned drive letters and without on the gb HDD Any help or suggestions appreciated thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/partition-magic-format-drive-without-assigning-a-drive-letter-469373.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I recently bought a faster 2TB hard drive to replace my old 1TB 'games' hard drive. Unfortunately, the software that came with the drive (Seagate Disc Wizard) will not clone my 'games' hard drive onto the new hard drive. Every time I try the clone, the software tries to reboot the PC, thinking that I'm trying to clone the OS onto the new drive, and I'm not.

Will copying everything from the old drive onto the new drive and then renaming the new drive letter (I to the old 'games' drive letter (E (after removing the original 'games' HDD) work the same?

A:Can't clone a new drive; can copy and rename drive letter work?

When cloning software asks you to reboot it's because they notice that some of the stuff you want to clone is used by Windows somehow. Even if you were just copying files or whatever. Maybe Steam was active or some kind of background program.

Anyway, in case that utility is just dumb, you can try with the program I use all day, EaseUs Partition master. Once installed, just clik on Wizard and then on Clone disk wizard, follow the wizard and you're set. Click on Apply when ready.
In case it asks for a reboot, let it do so (it takes a bit of time for so big drives though, so do it when you have something to watch on TV or whatever). If you selected the right drives in the wizard it won't screw with C, maybe it just needs everything to be sleeping while doing its job.

Quote:
Will copying everything from the old drive onto the new drive and then renaming the new drive letter (I to the old 'games' drive letter (E (after removing the original 'games' HDD) work the same?

Yes it will work fine. FastCopy is an utility that will help you transfer so much data quickly and efficiently (more than copy-paste), and can check that all files were copied successfully (just to be sure), and stop/begin again the transfer without a lot of fuss.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/270186-cant-clone-new-drive-can-copy-rename-drive-letter-work.html
Relevancy 49.88%

hi there,
i just bought a preowned Seagate Freeagent Goflex,when i plugged it into my usb port windows installed the driver,but when i click on my computer it dosnt show though in disk management it is listed and online,i also have enabled automount and changed it from dynamic to basic.
Im not great on computers and any help would be greatly appreciated i only want to use the new disk for back ups.
Many thanks in advance.
paul.

A:windows wont allocate drive letter to external drive

Please post a full screenshot of Windows Disk Management with only the Seagate Freeagent GoFlex external drive plugged in. ( Plug out all other external drives). Please read this tutorial and adhere to the guidelines therein to post a full Screenshot disabling Console Tree, Action Pane and adjusting the seperators as necessary to show all information. Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395666-windows-wont-allocate-drive-letter-external-drive.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I have just bought and installed to the point and letter issues drive hard new drive; Installing partitioning of completing initialization under Installing new hard drive; partitioning and drive letter issues Disk Management a new TB hard drive Originally I was planning to use it solely for data storage However I am thinking of installing Windows XP Pro and all the programs I currently use on it thereby making it the new OS and programs drive while using the original GB HD as a data backup drive I think the main appeal of doing this for me is that it also presents an opportunity to reinstall Windows on a machine which hasn t had this done for more than three years and which currently seems to take at least five minutes to boot to a quot usable quot state despite having a reasonably high spec for its age it was bought in but as a result of the upgrade I did in which led to the last Windows install it has a GHz AMD chip an Asus A N-E motherboard GB of DDR RAM -series PCI-E graphics card This has put me in a quandary with regard to whether I should use the new HD as the OS drive and if I do whether I should partition it and if I do that which drive letter s I should assign to it I don t appear to be able to choose C as the new drive letter under the New Volume Wizard I can t even choose F since I have an GB external USB backup drive currently assigned as the F drive If I choose G the earliest letter of the alphabet currently available must it remain hereafter the G drive even if I do quot decommission quot the current C drive or can it be renamed later after I have installed Windows and started using it as the OS hard drive Furthermore should I partition the drive All that people seem to agree on from my research so far is that there is not so much to be gained from doing this now that NTFS is the quot better quot file format to use for Windows XP If it helps the PC is multi-purpose in that I use it for all my home computing needs The main uses are gaming mainly FPS offline recording music using SONAR by Cakewalk as well as net surfing email a few office functions and the usual data photo music storage Sorry to go on at such length but all too often I ve found that questions lead to other questions so I try to get as much information out there as possible from the start I d greatly appreciate any and all input as to how best to use the new HD in conjunction with the old I d also like to express my sympathy and condolences to all grieving for the loss of their friend WhitPhil nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

hi there,
i just bought a preowned Seagate Freeagent Goflex,when i plugged it into my usb port windows installed the driver,but when i click on my computer it dosnt show though in disk management it is listed and online,i also have enabled automount and changed it from dynamic to basic.
Im not great on computers and any help would be greatly appreciated i only want to use the new disk for back ups.
Many thanks in advance.
paul.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395666-windows-wont-allocat-drive-letter-external-drive.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I have Vista Home Premium with two GB internal hard can't after internal boot drive hard second changing to drive letter drives copy amp E I am trying to put Vista on drive E and upgrade to Windows on drive C I had successfully cloned the can't boot to second internal hard drive after changing drive letter drive C of Vista onto an external hard drive and copied it to drive E the second internal hard drive When I copied the cloned copy of Vista to drive E the system changed the drive letter to L Everything was working fine and I could boot into either C or L In a fit of neatness I guess I decided that I would like to have the newly labeled drive L designated as drive E again and changed it to drive E in Disk Management while I was booted into drive C Now I am unable to boot into the second internal drive I just get a blank screen I can get Task Manager but nothing else not even the Start icon I booted back into C and changed the drive back to L but that didn't work either I tried to boot the second internal drive in Safe Mode but just got a blank screen without the start icon I tried restoring to a previous date but that wouldn't work and it only restores C anyway When I'm booted in drive C it shows the second internal drive L and shows all the files and programs that should be on drive L How do I get the drive restored so I can boot into it Thanks to anyone that can help

A:can't boot to second internal hard drive after changing drive letter

I don't know if this helps, but is drive L still marked as an "active" partition in disk management?  When you right click the partition the option should be there to do so if it is not marked as such. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576064/cant-boot-to-second-internal-hard-drive-after-changing-drive-letter/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have an old BYTECC hard drive enclosure Trying to use it on an older XP system for back up Got a bunch of G hard drives I can use The OS will detect the external drive is connected and powered up arrow shows in the tray for a USB drive checked the device manager and it sezs the drive is there and operating properly recognizes it but does not assign a drive letter AIDA sezs it is there but same deal shows no drive not External letter a Solved: assigned drive hard drive letter I ve tried four different hard drives with the same results I know the hardware works on other computers this particular computer USB works with other canned external drives it reads a Solved: External hard drive not assigned a drive letter flash memory stick as a drive no problem I know the BYTECC is set up properly should be the same as with other computers Works ok on a Win system What could be the problem Is there something to tweak I do know this XP system would not read hard drives that had been formatted on non-XP computers before Don t exactly know what systems Solved: External hard drive not assigned a drive letter all these drives were formatted on Isn t making any sense to me at the moment Doing it just like I did on the Win system with other drives everything worked as it should Thinking I could try to slap one of the drives in as a slave and try to format it that way hopefully can get it to be read as a USB drive instead Any help greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: External hard drive not assigned a drive letter

If the drive shows up in Disk Management (Start/Run/diskmgmt.msc/OK), right-click the drive icon or the area showing the drive below, select "Change drive letter and paths". In the next window click "Add". Next window click the radio button for "Assign the following drive letter". Select a drive letter. Click OK.

Raybro

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-not-assigned-a-drive-letter.856433/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have a wierd problem that most of the suggestions seem not to work.
I have a HP computer with Vista basic installed at factory with no disc sent with computer. I then added an external drive on which I installed Ubuntu OS as the primary boot drive. This was needed while I was learning and using Asterisk. Now I do not need the drive which no longer seems to have a letter designation or Ubuntu OS but cannot seem to be able to use System Recovery. Near as I can tell, I need to reset the Master Boot Record back to Vista only but seem unable to do so as I recieved no disks with the Computer.
Any suggestions. I am not extremely skilled at computer technical stuff so please assume I am an idiot if responding.

A:Removing External drive with Ubuntu OS but no drive letter designation

Hi,

Look here for one un-install option: -

How To Safely Uninstall Ubuntu From A Windows Dual-Boot PC

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/292663-removing-external-drive-ubuntu-os-but-no-drive-letter-designation.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I recently installed a new WD 160Gb drive. I partitioned, formated (NTFS) and installed Windows XP SP3 (using the Windows XP setup program). However, the system has reversed my CD drive and the HD letters.

It gave the HD "E" and the CD drive "C". (It should be the other way around) I can not change the HD letter back to "C". It says I can't change the boot volume letter assignment.

I set the boot sequence in the bios to boot from the CD first, the way it should be for installing a OS, right?

What did I do wrong? Why did it assign my CD drive "C" and my HD to "E"?

Scott

A:New hard drive assigned wrong drive letter..

Hello. Correct boot sequence, not sure why the letters are reversed - you might be able to (carefully!) correct them, article here seems to explain it fairly well? http://www.petri.co.il/change_system_drive_letter_in_windows_xp.htm

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hard-drive-assigned-wrong-drive-letter.181370/
Relevancy 49.45%

I installed a gb IDE hard drive into my other computer to drive? to drive and I letter a explore hard this Why can't assign access data on it and Disk Management lists the drive as quot Disk quot but will not let me assign it a drive letter or explore the drive for data When you right click the drive it has the quot Explore quot choice grayed out The only choice is to quot Delete Partition quot On the disk right Why can't I assign a drive letter to and explore this hard drive? click choices all you have is quot Convert to dynamic disk quot and nothing else The disk is the system and boot disk I believe that is has a single NTFS partition for the entire drive space from another PC that I don t need anymore and it has an installation of Why can't I assign a drive letter to and explore this hard drive? XP Professional -bit on it and the PC that I installed it too is XP Professional also but it is -bit OS I tried a few commands in the command line utility DISKPART but none of those helped me either I have installed foreign disks in XP many times in the past and have never seen this Oh also tried quot Rescan Disks quot from the Action menu and still no go Any Ideas nbsp

A:Why can't I assign a drive letter to and explore this hard drive?

did you change the jumpers for Master/CableSelect/Slave - appropriate to where you installed

I have recently seen this where windows will not see, but installing UBUNTU as a virtual CD will see the drive and copy any data files

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-cant-i-assign-a-drive-letter-to-and-explore-this-hard-drive.962381/
Relevancy 49.45%

I just upgraded my computer to winxp pro Letter Drive Solved: Recognized Partitioned Drive W/O when i got a new gb hdd for free install went fine and everything runs except for the Solved: Partitioned Drive Recognized W/O Drive Letter fact that windows wont give a drive letter to one of my hard drives Its formatted and partitoned and only has room left on it so I can t repartition it and lose all of my stuff on it At first i tried hooking it up usb but I had that problem so i figured it was the controller in the enclosure I was looking for an excuse to order a sata ide pci controller card so i did that and windows install disc even recognized Solved: Partitioned Drive Recognized W/O Drive Letter the new drive to install to it t he device manager shows the drive as a scsi drive and disk management sees it just it Solved: Partitioned Drive Recognized W/O Drive Letter doesn t have a drive letter What should i do Partitioning is difficult cause i d have to back up gb thanks in advance ps i should also ad that the driveis usable before i switched to the new hdd winxp pro last night so its not the drive itself nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

I just noticed my computer doing this today, i don't think its done it before.. anyway every time i insert my flash drive its a different drive letter, going in order. Like it went from N to O to P to Q.. Why won't it just use the same one (first available) each time? I've gone into disk management and set a drive letter but it doesn't stick, when I reinsert the drive its different again. It seems like windows doesn't want to recognize that this is the same drive, so each time it thinks its a new device.

A:Different drive letter each time i insert my flash drive.

Do you remove is safely (using the icon in the system tray that looks like a oblique shot of a card with an arrow pointing down and left?)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/different-drive-letter-each-time-i-insert-my-flash-drive-102621.html
Relevancy 49.45%

My backup software's profile database is expecting to backup to H:, which was the drive letter for my external backup drive back in XP. This drive comes up in Win7 as K, because Win7 has given my four usb card reader drives the letters F,G,H,I. Disk Management will not show these four card reader drives unless media is inserted (connected vs. disconnected). I have changed the letters for F,G,I to T,U,W, but only because I have those types of cards (SD, CF, MS)...I do not have an XD or SmartMedia card for the one dang drive I really need to change.

What are my options, other than buying the cheapest SM card I can find to make the drive visible for this task? The SmartSyncPro database has many profiles, so remapping all those to point to K would be a major hassle.

Thanks!
Gary

A:Disk Management - chg drive letter-disconnected drive

Quote: Originally Posted by bobogs

My backup software's profile database is expecting to backup to H:, which was the drive letter for my external backup drive back in XP. This drive comes up in Win7 as K, because Win7 has given my four usb card reader drives the letters F,G,H,I. Disk Management will not show these four card reader drives unless media is inserted (connected vs. disconnected). I have changed the letters for F,G,I to T,U,W, but only because I have those types of cards (SD, CF, MS)...I do not have an XD or SmartMedia card for the one dang drive I really need to change.

What are my options, other than buying the cheapest SM card I can find to make the drive visible for this task? The SmartSyncPro database has many profiles, so remapping all those to point to K would be a major hassle.

Thanks!
Gary

I use Acronis backup and I set it to backup to drive Z. Then go into Disk Management and assign your backup drive to be drive Z. Usually this will never change due to removable drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/13724-disk-management-chg-drive-letter-disconnected-drive.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hey kids I m in a bit of a pickle here I have my letter Solved: assignment Second drive hard-drive suspicions what the problem is and I hope I m not right Recently my computer died I pulled my hard drives and DVD drives and stuffed them in another box I turned it on and it repeatedly restarted after a blue screen of death The blue screen went by so fast I couldn t read it Soooo I reinstalled Windows XP Pro and SP After doing so my second HD is not being assigned a drive letter Device Manager sees it Disk Manager sees it and says it s healthy active and NTFS Is there anything in the Registry I can change to make it accessible ALL of my music and personal documents are on this drive and I can t Solved: Second hard-drive drive letter assignment afford to lose ANY of it Or do I have to format it for the OS to recognize it as a drive Please help soon Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Second hard-drive drive letter assignment

Hi.
Right click My Computer, click management, then enter the "Disk management application on the left.
Right click the drive that has no letter, click "Change drive letter and paths, Click add, choose an unused drive letter, click OK, and you're set.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-second-hard-drive-drive-letter-assignment.816436/
Relevancy 49.45%

Can Someone please tell me how I create a permanent drive letter for a USB Stick Drive? Say Z: ?? So When I boot to it it will always go to that drive letter? Thank you Very much John

A:Create a permanant drive letter for USB Stick Drive

yes, but it will only work on the computer that you are setting this up on.

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

Select the USB drive in the graphical layout. right click and go to Change Drive letter

Assign it a drive letter and click OK. Now when you plug it into the computer, it will show up with that drive letter. or it should....

This won't carry over to other computers.

Shortcut: type in "Disk Management" in the start menu search bar and select "Create and format hard disk partitions"

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/272796-create-permanant-drive-letter-usb-stick-drive.html
Relevancy 49.45%

So I have this other System Reserved Partition that isn't for my main drive (C). It is under a drive I use for backing up (F). Now it wouldn't really be a big issue as it isn't much space but it also has it's own drive letter (D) which I find unorganized. I guess I could just remove it which should remove the drive? But I'm not sure if it's safe to do so since I'm not really sure the importance of this even if it's not under my main drive.

Could someone let me know if I can just remove this without issues arriving later?

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/sdJMl6T.png

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/52197-2nd-system-reserved-another-hard-drive-under-its-own-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I have five hard drives in my system. Recently after a reboot, one of my drives "vanished"
I rebooted again, it's back. SMART shows the drive is flawless - I suspect a loose connection or something.
My problem is that before the drive vanished, it was G:. Now it's D: (first open drive letter.) When I go into drive management and try to change the drive letter, it's not there. None of the drives showing have it, but it's not in the list.
I need this drive to be G: - how do I find where Windows thinks that letter is allocated and release it?Philo Janus, MCP Author: Pro InfoPath 2007 Pro PerformancePoint 2007 Pro SQL Server Analysis Services 2008 Building Integrated Business Intelligence Solutions with SQL Server 2008 R2 & Office 2010 Blog @ http://philo.typepad.com/with-all-due-respect/

A:Drive letter missing after removing hard drive

The problem was that the drive letter I needed wasn't in the list.
A note for anyone who reads this in the future who does support - when working with someone who says "a drive letter is missing" make sure to understand if they mean the drive doesn't have a letter assigned, or if the problem is that the letter they need
isn't available. I saw a LOT of this while I was researching this problem - I could tell that the person asking the question was saying that the letter wasn't in the list, but the person trying to help would just point them towards drive management (where
they already were, if you read carefully)
In my case, it turned out I have software running that mounts iso files as CD drives. That's where the drive letter was - it had taken the assignment, but without an iso mounted, it didn't show up in drive management.
Philo Janus, MCP Author: Pro InfoPath 2007 Pro PerformancePoint 2007 Pro SQL Server Analysis Services 2008 Building Integrated Business Intelligence Solutions with SQL Server 2008 R2 & Office 2010 Blog @ http://philo.typepad.com/with-all-due-respect/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/09097b7b-c099-4b4f-9482-4b0759ea6c94/drive-letter-missing-after-removing-hard-drive?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 49.45%

I have a LaCie Porsche Design P9223 Slim External 500GB USB3Hard Drive that my father was using on his computer (with no problem). We're both running Windows 7. My computer, a Dell Studio XPS9000, won't recognize it in "My Computer". There's no drive letter!

It shows up in Device Manager ( says, "this device is working properly")
Show up in USB Safely Remove
Shows up in Devices and Printers
Shows up in Disk Management as Unknown/Unitialized, Disk 10. (When I right click and try to initialize it, it says "Device is not ready".)
The Driver is up to date
It works when I attach it to my husband's laptop, running Windows XP.

What can I do to assign it a drive letter???

Peg

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-wont-assign-drive-letter-to-external-drive.1158228/
Relevancy 49.45%

Change letter of the boot drive or the system drive

Under xp pro is possible but I haven't try under windows 7 64 bits.

xp is possible according to

How to restore the system/boot drive letter in Windows

Do you know the procedure ?

Best Regards

P.D. I have seen a pair of post in this forum but I was not able to determine....

A:Change letter of the boot drive or the system drive

It seems to be the same. But why on earth did you want to do this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/257666-change-letter-boot-drive-system-drive.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I am trying to revive the local Priest s computer - he has nothing backed up and I m not even Catholic - He has a Dell Dimension r running Windows XP Home When he started the computer yesterday it started to boot into Drive Drive XP - Windows Letter Hard No Problem Windows and then just restarts in an endless cycle It got to a Windows XP Hard Drive Problem - No Drive Letter point where it came up with an error quot autochk not found - skipping autochk quot and then a Windows XP BSOD the ones with some hex addresses pops up with an error for about a tenth of a second I cannot read anything on it - it is too fast I pulled the drive and put it in another computer The computer Win XP Pro finds the drive and it shows as quot healthy quot in Disk Management but it does not assign it a drive letter I would just like to be able to get in and copy his data I tried a repair install but Windows XP says it cannot intall to the partition I downloaded Maxtor s PowerMax it is a Maxtor GB drive utility and the drive passes all tests with no errors or failures I can see directories etc when I boot in the Windows Recovery Console I just can t do anything with them It tells me quot access is denied quot when I try to go to documents and settings etc I have tried a fixboot etc Anybody have any ideas how I can help him get his data back Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

In the limited research I have done with the problem posed in post #56, I believe the reason the user is unable to use the drive is it is GPT and is protected. Is there a way to reclaim the drive and data in Windows 7?

I am unfamiliar with GPT and do not know how to get Windows 7 to give access to the drive without changing to MBR, but changing to MBR will wipe the partition table and make the data inaccessible. Any ideas? Anyone else seen this problem before?

A:No access to GPT drive in Windows 7, no drive letter can be assigned

Hi,

I stumbled across a forum post (TomsHardware) that claimed TestDisk and PhotoRec have the ability to recover data from GPT drives. Is it worth a go?

PhotoRec - CGSecurity
TestDisk - CGSecurity

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/206382-no-access-gpt-drive-windows-7-no-drive-letter-can-assigned.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Under XP Media Center
I have two internal HDs two CD drives, one ext. HD and Windows has assigned drive letters to all and all have been stable over the years the very weird thing , and I can't figure out why, is that for my USB thumb drive - which I always plug into the same USB port it changes letters after an extended period - say about 8 months, it will go from "G" to "I" and then back. It is bothersome only because I use the "Send To" command for many files. is there a way to stabilize this or is it just another XP annoyance I must put up with.
thanks

A:windows XP keeps alternating drive letter for thumb drive

goto control panel
Admin tools
computer management
disk management
in the right hand side you should see all the drives
go to the the drive that you want to change the letter ID
right click - then choose "change drive letter" a box will appear with the current letter
choose a new letter and click ok then its all done same letter every time

I often set to X, Y, Z for external and any mapped drives

have a read here http://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...s-xp-for-an-external-usb-stick-or-hard-drive/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-keeps-alternating-drive-letter-for-thumb-drive.931982/
Relevancy 49.45%

I just got a new computer and so I'm back in the modern age again after using Win 98 in 2006.

This is a laptop though and I'd like to install a few infrequently used applications onto a removable drive. I have several USB devices, and I'd like WinXP to always use the same drive letter for this drive so an installed program will run correctly.

I foolishly assumed that Microsoft had made stuff like this easy by now. They've had nearly a decade to do it since I last bought an OS. But apparently not. But maybe someone can lend some advice.

Thanks.

Relevancy 49.45%

Is there any way at all of changing the drive letter of the main hard drive - which is obviously in use? Have got it set at 'I' by accident and want to return it to 'C' drive. I know about changing other drive letters and have done so easily enough but am stuck with this one. Is it forever???

A:Changing drive letter of main hard drive

Hello silver2142

You can change the drive letter of anything except the system partition.
Unfortunately, the only real way to change the system partition letter is to wipe and reinstall.

XP won`t mind being installed on "I". It is just an inconvenience to you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/changing-drive-letter-of-main-hard-drive-394786.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hello everyone So due to audio problems I decided to just revert to my old XP At first I was gonna try to dual-boot but the fly in the ointment was all I had was an image for Windows in letter drive 7? drive Default "System" on my external HD which has about G of other stuff on it My disc Default drive letter for "System" drive in Windows 7? drive would not for the life of me burn an ISO image on any of my three DVD types And the process of trying to find how to fix the drive problem and or create just a bootable PARTITION on a HD without effecting everything else just drove me insane which is kind of where I am now After a week now I just have to get back to my project lol And if that means no fancy windows internet experience BUT HERE S THE THING In my frenzied state I think I may have screwed up my MBR but idk I hope I can explain this right At one point while attempting a dual-boot scenerio workaround I shrunk partition C and created a new G partition at the end of it After that In EaseUS I assigned it letter B and I set it to active figuring it was to be bootable wrong I know Additionally near the same time in Folder Properties I unhid system files folders etc NOW the System drive showed as F Then attempting to use EasyBCD it told me it could not find the BCD files to begin So naturally it had to do with that I thought maybe it should have been B but why would Ease US give me that letter option After showing Easy BCD the file it seems to be OK there Also in Startup amp Recovery it is listed in System Startup as the default system But is it OK Also should it also be active Did I inadvertently switch it by making the new partition active What should I do to get it to boot properly I AM planning on booting XP from a flash drive anyway but still If it is messed up will the recovery option still work BTW all partitions are now gone besides C system and Hdd recovery Thanks a lot Sorry so long

A:Default drive letter for "System" drive in Windows 7?

:wacko:no?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/482214/default-drive-letter-for-system-drive-in-windows-7/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hey Guys Heres the issue I recently did an install of XP home on a new HDD for a customer after their drive went dead Not realizing the install mapped the boot drive to F instead of C Customer called up complaining that he could not install programs etc I wanted to go back and change the drive letters through the registry but after doing some reading found that changing the system drive letter after install will make windows act screwey sometimes not even allowing a boot I personally can Drive Boot Drive Letter on Changing Assignment live with a diff drive letter but the customer seems to not be able to I have read one or two posts about using XXclone to clone the system drive to a new partition mapped to C then deleting the F partition As i have never used this program or method i am a bit skeptical and or lost at the same time What do you guys suggest as the best method to change this drive letter and not disrupt Changing Drive Letter Assignment on Boot Drive the operations of the system Thanks in advance for the help

A:Changing Drive Letter Assignment on Boot Drive

You could try the method given here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188But I can't guarantee it will work.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176076/changing-drive-letter-assignment-on-boot-drive/
Relevancy 49.45%

I am posting here as well as in the hard drives part...

My question is: I have XP Pro on my machine that once recognized the external firewire hard drive attached to it (showed up as drive letter in "My
Computer"). Now, the passthru works fine on the ext. hard drive feeding
another firewire device, but I can not get the pc to show a drive letter for
the ext. drive anymore. The ext. drive shows up fine on another pc w/ xp
pro. What .dll or file is missing or has been corrupted to cause this? I
also have a client that is experiencing the similar problem with his new pc
w/xp pro and a USB thumb drive, and thought these 2 issues may be similar in
nature.

Thanks in advance,
Dave S. A+ certified

A:Ext. hard drive is recognized, but no drive letter assigned in XP Pro

Hello... any ideas??? anyone???

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/ext-hard-drive-is-recognized-but-no-drive-letter-assigned-in-xp-pro-17565.html
Relevancy 49.45%

New build...installed XP Pro and used F6 to install proper drivers from Mobo CD...How can I tell if it's running at SATA 2 speed...3 Gig xfer rate...all device manager says is
UDMA5...

A:How can I tell if my SATA drive is running at SATA 2 speed?

http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html?modelx=33&model1=117&model2=676&chart=31

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-tell-if-my-sata-drive-is-running-at-sata-2-speed.578001/
Relevancy 49.45%

Perhaps not a question for sevenforums but I'd figure you guys would either have the answer or be able to direct me to the answer I purchased a Silicon SiI SATA Raid Controller purely to have extra SATA ports which I am using to connect to my case's external drive bays I have flashed the bios of the controller and updated the driver to put it in quot Base quot mode so it is not using RAID I did extensive research on this and it appears that I have this part right Controller? SATA on SATA-II Drive Raid For now I am trying to connect a WD BEVT quot SATA-II hard drive to one of these ports and am having some difficulty I can see the drive but when I try to format the drive in Windows or a command prompt using the windows recovery DVD it hangs I am wondering if this is a compatibility issue with a SATA-II drive on a SATA-I controller however most of the forums I have read state that if there is a compatibility SATA-II Drive on SATA Raid Controller? issue the controller won't even recognize the drive I searched around to see if there was a way to force the HDD SATA-II Drive on SATA Raid Controller? to SATA but the jumpers on this drive are for SSC and RPS Is there a way to fix this or do I need a drive that is capable of forcing SATA-I speeds Perhaps even a controller capable of at least SATA-II since that is the minimum of all new HDDs

A:SATA-II Drive on SATA Raid Controller?

SATA II drives are typically not backwards compatible with SATA I ports, especially on add-in cards UNLESS they have what is called "autospeed negotiation". This determines the max speed of the drive and tells it to compensate if it's too high (use SATA 1 vs 2). Unless there is a jumper on your drive, which it doesn't sound like there is, then the add-in card does not have autospeed negotiation. This is taken from Problems encountered installing SATA 3.0 Gb/s hard drives on SATA 1.5 Gb/s controllers.

I suggest finding an addin card that supports SATA II like this card: Newegg.com - Rosewill RC-211 Silicon Image 2 port SATA II PCI Express Host Controller Card(RAID 0/1/JBOD)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/161851-sata-ii-drive-sata-raid-controller.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I solved a similar problem in Win 7 by uninstalling an Advanced "6G" Storage Controller and letting Windows install its generic driver but I have no idea what to do in Win 10 because of the dumbed down way everything behind the scenes is displayed, which appears not to have anything remotely resembling such a thing.
Anyone else having similar issues? Or am I doomed with my now-almost-extinct 2009 Alienware machine?

A:W10 Recognizes My External SATA II Drive As SATA I - Why ?

Originally Posted by Ex_Brit

I solved a similar problem in Win 7 by uninstalling an Advanced "6G" Storage Controller and letting Windows install its generic driver but I have no idea what to do in Win 10 because of the dumbed down way everything behind the scenes is displayed, which appears not to have anything remotely resembling such a thing.
Anyone else having similar issues? Or am I doomed with my now-almost-extinct 2009 Alienware machine?

A few questions come to mind: is the drive plugged into a eSATA port on the computer and its cable rated as SATA II? Or is it in an External USB drive case that is plugged into a USB 2.0 port or maybe a USB 3.0 port?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/53036-w10-recognizes-my-external-sata-ii-drive-sata-i-why.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi, I have an Asus n61 notebook & a 1tb WD external drive connected via esata. I want my notebook to recognize the drive as G, for program pathway reasons, but as it needs to be connected before power up my system sees it as F. When I try to 'change drive letter' in Disk Management it simply says 'the parameter is incorrect'. I have never had problems assigning drive letters in XP. What is the secret in W7?
Thanks.

Relevancy 48.59%

BACKGROUND I have a Seagate Barracuda GB SATA drive that worked fine in a Windows XP computer that belongs to my elderly not Healthy Drive Drive to be allow assigned will Letter Dad Then one day after the machine sat for a few months it would not power up I suspected the power supply but before I had a chance to look at it my dad took it to some small shop repair place he Healthy Drive will not allow Drive Letter to be assigned found in the yellow pages and they told him the MB AND the HDD was bad because it was old I think they were just trying to sell a new computer to my Dad I was suspicious so not having a compatale power supply to replace the old one with I took the drive out placed it into an know good external case and plugged it into my Windows laptop as an external to see if could get the data off DRIVE BEHAVIOR The Drive spins up Shows up in Device Manager with no errors Shows up in Disk Manager as a Disk Healthy Primary partition but I cannot assign a drive letter option grayed out The only option availalbe is Delete Partition UPDATE Drive DOES show up as DISK in Diskpart LIST DISK Drive does NOT show up in Computer MY QUESTIONS Is there another way to assign a drive letter so it will show in Computer and I can get the data off What would happen if I make it a Virtual Drive Or is the drive really bad

A:Healthy Drive will not allow Drive Letter to be assigned

Hello, and Welcome,

It could be a bad enclosure. When you used Diskpart you used the list disk command, correct?

See if taking ownership of the drive lets you change the letter. The video is for Vista but the same applies to Windows 7.

Other option: Burn a Puppy Linux iso to a CD. Boot Puppy. On the Puppy desktop you will see your hard drives listed. Attach the external drive. You will see a USB icon appear next to the DVD icon. It will most likely be called sdb1. If there is more than one partition on the external they will be labeled sdb1...sdb2  depending on the number of partitions. Click once on the sdb partition. The disk will automatically mount and you should see the files on the hard drive. 

Your Windows 7 partition would probably be sda2. Click once on it and if you do not see your Windows files close out the file manager and try another partition. You can highlight the files/folders on the XP disk using Ctrl+ left clicking or by windowing around the files/folders. Drag the highlighted folders to the Windows 7 file manager window. A small dialog window will appear. Click copy and quiet. You only need to click once on a folder in Puppy to open it.

tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592435/healthy-drive-will-not-allow-drive-letter-to-be-assigned/
Relevancy 48.59%

Using Windows There are two hard disks of different brands used alternately for off-site backup Norton Ghost is the backup program that images the drive nightly The two disks are swapped daily and one is taken off site Problem As long as the two drives were identical in size and brand they both assumed the same drive letter and Ghost had no problem Now that one of the drives have failed and was replaced with one of a different brand they assume different letter on drive a Forcing Solved: certain drive a USB drive letters and Ghost fails I have tried to understand how USBDLM can force the same drive letter when they are swapped The Solved: Forcing a certain drive letter on a USB drive way I understand it is there is some kind of INI file placed on the USB drive but I just can t understand exactly what goes into that INI file Solved: Forcing a certain drive letter on a USB drive Yes I have read the USBDLM help file but it seems to assume a level of knowledge of the terms it uses that I don t have I would like to use USBDLM but I m not stuck on it if there is a better solution Thanks for reading nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

I purchased an external USB2 hard drive case (that has a power cable and USB output cable) and installed a 120GB Seagate drive. It seems like my laptop (running XP, USB1) will recognize the drive when I plug it in (as an USB Mass Storage device) but it does not give it a drive letter (like E) for me to access it. I have tried changing the Master, Slave, Cable Select jumper on the drive with no success. When I plug in a USB thumb drive, my laptop assigns a drive letter and I can access it via Windows Explorer with no problems, but with the 120 GB external drive, I have no luck? The drive shows up under the Control Panel.....Device Manager as a hard drive just under my laptop drive, but there is no way to store files on this external drive. Any suggestions?

A:USB External Hard drive - no drive letter

Hello and welcome... You may need to configure the drive in winXP for it to be seen properly.

Go here...
Control Panel---> adminstrative tools---> computer management---> disk management...

Does it see the hard there? I believe it will show up as Disk1... Select it and format it, you can also change the drive letter if you would like

Good luck,
G

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-external-hard-drive-no-drive-letter.150644/
Relevancy 48.59%

I just built a new computer for work. Our server is mapped as letter ?F? and this works unless I leave a USB card reader plugged in when I shut it down. On boot up one of the drives on the card reader gets assigned ?F? and the mapped drive doesn?t work. I then have to remove the card reader and re-boot. I would prefer to leave the card reader plugged in. is there a way to lock or reserve the drive letters on one or the other to prevent the conflict? I solved this on my previous machine (XP pro) here but can?t remember how.

Thanks

A:Mapped drive & USB drive letter conflict

Welcome to SF,

See if this Tutorial helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/190238-mapped-drive-usb-drive-letter-conflict.html
Relevancy 48.59%

New user here! I have a Sandisk Cruzer Mini USB Flash Drive 128 MB, and my computer will not recognize it. I am on a network, have a CD-RW drive, DVD drive, Zip disk installed and my first network drive is F:\ Does anyone know if you can designate the drive letter to be used by a usb flash device? Or can I change the first letter of the network to a different letter? I am on Windows XP Pro.

Thanks in advance!

Rig.

Relevancy 48.59%

How to change the system boot drive letter in XP If you break a mirror volume or for some other reason the drive letter of your system and or boot drive gets changed so that the drive now has the wrong letter not the one assigned to it when you installed the OS you'll find that the Disk Manager won't let you change the letter of those drives This is to protect you from making changes that render the OS unbootable and you should make those changes only if the drive let gets changed as described above To do so you have to edit the registry Be sure to back it up first Log on with an administrative account Click Start Run and type regedt exe to open the registry editor Navigate to the following key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM how xp change boot the letter of win to drive drive In the right pane click MountedDevices On the Security menu click Permissions and ensure that Administrators have full control Close regedt exe and run regedit exe Navigate back to the same registry key Locate how to change the drive letter of win xp boot drive the drive letter you want to change such as DosDevices C right click it and select Rename Rename it to the letter you want it to have such as DosDevices D Close regedit exe and run regedt exe again to change the permissions on the key back to Read Only You'll need to restart the computer for the change to take effect Be very careful about renaming drive letters of system boot drives

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-change-the-drive-letter-of-win-xp-boot-drive-146936.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a USB hard drive formatted NTFS that my computer recognizes, but will not assign a drive letter. When I go to Disk Management, it shows the partition as "Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)". When I right-click, the "Change Drive Letter"
option is grayed out.
I have several USB hard drives that this computer won't work with.
I have no problem with USB thumb drives, SD cards, etc. Also, some of my USB hard drives do work!
I have Windows 7 Home Premium.
These USB drives work fine on my two other Windows computers (Vista and 7) as well as on my Mac (10.3).

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a462df3a-c089-4796-adbf-c77dc7dfd560/cannot-assign-drive-letter-to-usb-hard-drive?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 48.59%

I am setting up a new computer running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I attached an old 500GB USB 2.0 hard drive. System notification showed the driver was successfully installed. However when I looked for the drive in Windows Explorer, it did not show up under Computer.

I ran Microsoft's Computer Management application. Under Disk Management, I see that the drive does not have a drive letter (see attached screenshot). However when I right-click on the drive, the option to assign a drive letter is grayed out. I searched Microsoft's documentation, but the only reason I could find for not being able to assign a drive letter would be if the disk was a system partition or boot partition. But this is just an ordinary HDD that I want to use for backups. What am I doing wrong?

A:Cannot add a drive letter to an external hard drive

Try to reformat it with NTFS if there is nothing on it. Use Partition Wizard free if Disk Management won't

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/372849-cannot-add-drive-letter-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Got this from directory opus site, but made new registry file for you.

1. - unzip drive icons to - C:\DRIVE ICONS
2. run registry file
3. reboot pc

Voila!

to undo run the restoredriveicons reg file.

here is original link - HERE

some pics below of my stuff - GOOD LUCK

A:Show Drive letter on Drive Icon

here are some more registry files for different icons - such as flash, ghost, CD rom, hard disk - they go to letter H or I i believe.
Can change certain drives after doing the fix above. This way you can still tell what drives are what.
All credit must be given to leo - admin over at the directory opus forum.

Thanks leo, t41

ps - to use with directory opus you must go to their forum and download the full .ocb file

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/17838-show-drive-letter-drive-icon.html
Relevancy 48.59%

It has no problem if I used a usb1.1 flash drive. However, when I tried a usb2.0 flash drive, there is no drive letter appearing in Windows Explorer.

I am running XP Pro with SP1. My colleague has a PC with the same hardware configuration and I had no problem plugging the usb2.0 flash drive in his machine.

Device manager did show the usb2.0 flash drive when I plugged it in the usb port.

Any idea?

A:XP Pro SP1 won't assign a drive letter to usb 2.0 flash drive

For grins can you try changing the drive letter in device manager while it's plugged into a USB 2.0 port?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-pro-sp1-wont-assign-a-drive-letter-to-usb-2-0-flash-drive.17470/