Windows Support Forum

Hi about my computer (some help about upgrading and advice)

Q: Hi about my computer (some help about upgrading and advice)

I ll upload my computer report later here so you could have a look at it also need your opinions on the stores i like heres a poll my god i bought my computer too early man if i had my own money i would just buy a really good comp but oh well maybe when i grow older computers will be so cheap but everyone will have lots of ram and space since programs are getting fat and fatter like windows I got my computer from atic ca Asus p p mother board intel celeron D mhz CPU M DDR Samsung maxtor GB SATA HD TA W case computer upgrading advice) and about help Hi (some my about pin to pin adapter Sapphire Radeon m video card Microsoft windows xp Home edition router klinksys WRT G Samsung N quot LCD monitor total cost Do you think that is decent i just realize that best buy has so cheap computers darn it But Hi about my computer (some help about upgrading and advice) i was wondering why does Everest home edition say my ram is MHz instead of mhz i emailed atic and the Hi about my computer (some help about upgrading and advice) guy said When Hi about my computer (some help about upgrading and advice) running FSB Processors on an FSB board the memory clock is dropped to MHz regardless of what memory is installed The software may report this as MHz closest standard but the actual speed it is running at will be MHz If you upgrade your CPU to an FSB processor it should change to MHz Just wondering if that is correct and i do not understand what he just said And not sure how many pins my ram has SDram is DDR is i think for ddr Was planning to upgrade my ram to gigs just wondering what you guys think i should buy And i live in vancouver BC So my favorities place to buy would be bestbuy and atic just wondering which store would be better wondering what board i should get to get the maximum from my ram i should had just gotten MHz huh instead of paying for MHz ram and have it drop I m also wondering what type of sound card i should get something that supports surrond sound the onboard audio sucks it can t play loud enough to hear a thing i hope i get some advice sorry if this is a bit long also please comment on my computer I m not sure if its good enough to do much The things i use on computer Msn triilain F-secure internet security shaw secure Mirc play shattered galaxy sometimes Smart Ftp Everest home edition winrar gilly messenger Dap though don t need it but shaw is dum sometimes windows media winamp open office quicktime Jcreator Macromedia studio MX nero adobe reader free version Not going to list all of them but just the main ones Shattered galaxy is a megabyte for ram hog F-secure and trillain are cpu hogs Also wondering how could i prevent my cpu from keep getting to usage since when i use f-securfe s real time scanning it stays are for quite a while just wondering if upgrading my cpu will help or ram nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Hi about my computer (some help about upgrading and advice)

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 62.78%

Ok, my computer is really outdated & I'm going to give you guys some computer specs to see what I most need upgraded & how much should all of this cost to get better hardware!

Intel Celeron processor 600Mhz
64 MB SDRAM memory with up to 11MB allocated to video memory
Hard Drive 10.2 GB Ultra DMA hard drive
Sony Cd burner!

I've been thinking to upgrade the Memory to 256 SDRAM & upgrading the 600 Mhz to 2 ghz or something..

I can't really afford a new computer right now! Plus I'm 18 just graduated out of high school with no job YET! My parents won't upgrade, they said if I want to it will have to come out of my graduation money. Right now I have about $165.00. Would that be enough to upgrade the following two things?

Relevancy 62.78%

So, I do not know much about building computers, but I would like some feedback on what would be the best part to upgrade on my computer so I can play games like Battlefield 3 smoothly and on the higher graphical settings.

Here are the specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz (It's overclocked)
Memory: 4096MB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB
I have a 500gb and 1tb harddrive
Running Windows 7 64 bit at 1920 x 1080 with another monitor at 1680 x 1050

If you need any more specs feel free to ask.
Thanks

Relevancy 62.78%

I'm upgrading to a new computer.All my games are in a HDD in my old computer, some of the games i wanna keep are D2D and i deleted the installation files to save space, now when i switch to the new system(I'll be getting new HDD), how am i going to play the games with my new computer?I thought of using eSata to transfer the games and save files, but there are still other files in c drive when games are installed right?i.e registry.

Relevancy 62.35%

I have a LeadTek K7NCR18D ( http://www.leadtek.com/motherboards/nforce2/k7ncr18d/k7ncr18d.htm ) NForce2 motherboard on the way along with a AMD Athlon XP 1.8ghz.

I want 512MB RAM...

I am lost about memory. I understand about pc2100, pc2700, and pc3200. I know that the pc3200 is fastest. Does this motherboard support 3200 and is it worth getting it or settling for pc2700?

"Supports 3, 184 -pin DIMM sockets for DDR -SDRAM module
Support up to 3GB of memory
Support up to DDR 400 memory
128 bit DualDDR Memory Architecture (2 pieces memory required)"

Should I get 1 mem chip or 2? (1 x 512 or 2 x 256)?
What do the last 2 lines mean? Please give me some good advice. Memory is the only thing I am lacking.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

A:Upgrading computer...need memory advice

Here is nvidia's definition of dual channel memory

Features of DualDDR memory architecture include:

Highest memory bandwidth: DualDDR combines the power of DDR400 with two independent memory controllers, which yields a staggering 6.4GB per second of memory bandwidth—twice the memory bandwidth of other DDR400 chipsets. Increased memory bandwidth delivers better system and graphics performance, resulting in more overall productivity.
Lowest latency: Both memory controllers operate concurrently with each other to hide latencies associated with typical chipsets. For example, controller "A" reads or writes to main memory while controller "B" prepares for the next access, and vice versa. As important is the second-generation DASP (dynamic adaptive speculative preprocessor), which has been re-architected for improved performance.
Most stable and flexible memory system: End-users can now populate higher density DIMMs, up to 1GB each, to utilize the entire 3GB memory address map. This large memory map allows more applications, audio and video streams to coexist without conflict.
The NVIDIA nForce2 DualDDR memory architecture provides a no-compromise PC graphics memory solution, allowing everyone to take advantage of today's most intensive applications and get the most performance out of existing memory. Not only can you run multiple applications simultaneously, you can do so without fear that the system will come to a screeching halt. DualDDR raises the bandwidth bar, delivering a 100% increase over current competitive products, and provides the power and performance PCs need to run at their fullest capabilities.

It is slightly faster when dual channel is used.

The motherboard will support PC 3200 although you won't need it unless you plan on overclocking.
I would suggest getting to memory chips to use the dual channel feature of the chipset

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-computer-need-memory-advice.123814/
Relevancy 62.35%

My current Upgrading my advice needed computer, specs are ASRock A GXE M Motherboard Athlon X BE OC ed at GHZ GB G-SKILL DDR HD Here is what i m looking at buying Same Motherboard AMD Phenom II X Black Edition Deneb Upgrading my computer, advice needed GHz Socket AM W HIS Upgrading my computer, advice needed H FN GD Radeon HD GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x G SKILL GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC For a grand total of shipped I posted this at a different forum and many people told me that I was wasting my money That I should buy a new motherboard so I will be able to get DDR Ram They Upgrading my computer, advice needed said that I can get a Intel Core i - Sandy Bridge GHz Dual-Core Processor for the same price that will outperform the Phenom I don t do a whole lot of gaming but when I do I like to be able to run the games on a fairly high setting and my HD is beginning to show its age I just wanted to throw in a new GPU CPU and add a little RAM and I figured with what I selected that I would be able to run just about anything at full speed I figured I would get a second opinion here So what would you recommend I should also point out that I still have an IDE DVD Burner and my secondary hard drive So I would either have to upgrade those components find a new motherboard that has IDE or buy an adapter all of which will add to the final price So do you think I should go all out and buy a new motherboard or just upgrade the components Thanks nbsp

A:Upgrading my computer, advice needed

You could last it out a while longer, but I'd be inclined to upgrade.

Being pedantic though, your GPU choice is not going to play every single game out there at fairly high settings, unless you're prepared to drop the resolutions.

Is your budget set in stone?

Also, what existing hardware do you have that you could reuse should changing motherboard be an option?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-my-computer-advice-needed.178823/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hey guys I need some advice upgrading one of my older computers Basically before I was using Computer Gaming Solved: Upgrading Need Advice it as a media pc and just Solved: Upgrading Gaming Computer Need Advice recently have been letting my girlfriend use it as a gaming pc since its much better than what she has Here are the current specs Intel Pentium Dual Core E Ghz M mhz MSI P NGM -L GeForce Socket Motherboard EVGA GeForce GT MB PCIe w Dual Link DVI X Ultra MB PC DDR MHz Ultra LSP w Power Supply THERMALTAKE LanBox Lite MATX Cube Case I m not looking for anything amazing she s just getting framerate problems playing tf and we would like it to run smoothly we would also like it to be able to handle l d and l d on low settings I m thinking about surprising her and upgrading the video card for Christmas and need some help I don t believe the board that is in there will support the newer video cards and the case might be too small to fit a full size card in there anyway possibly with modification I really don t have the cash to build a brand new comp for her so I was hoping that there was a decent video card I could throw in with the current setup to get the games running smoothly nbsp

A:Solved: Upgrading Gaming Computer Need Advice

That's not a bad system, upgrading the graphics card will be enough, at least for the games you like it to run.

I think this card will be more than enough:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9&cm_re=radeon_hd_5750-_-14-102-859-_-Product

You can also buy a Radeon HD 4850 if you can find one. In fact the HD 4850 is a better choice since it's faster and you can get it for a better price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129138&Tpk=radeon hd 4850

Note that I know nothing of VisionTek cards, I just posted the above link for reference. I'd go for any card made by Sapphire, XFX, Asus, Gigabyte and HIS. If you can find one of those go for it!

The bad news is that you have to upgrade your PSU as well, running the new card on a low end/cheapo PSU could lead to all kinds of problems.

Get this one if you can afford it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9005&cm_re=corsair_650-_-17-139-005-_-Product

Cheaper alternatives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...371020&cm_re=antec_psu-_-17-371-020-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=ocz_stealthxstream-_-17-341-031-_-Product

EDIT:

If you can't fit a normal size card in your case then you can get something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=HD_4650_low_profile-_-14-102-829-_-Product

But I don't think it's worth it as this card will perform close to your 9500 GT...It's hard to find a fast small form factor card.

This will be certainly faster but not by much:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=9600_low_profile-_-14-187-060-_-Product

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-upgrading-gaming-computer-need-advice.882049/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi My current system is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.50 Ghz, 4G of RAM, and an MSI N240GT 1GB GDDR5 video card. I can't run WoW with any of the settings to high.

The system i'm considering is an AMD Phenom II X6 1045 with a Radeon 5450 1GB.

So my question is will my 240GT be able to run WoW on high with that system, or do I need to upgrade to the 5670 (+$50) or the 5770 (+$130) ?

Thanks,
Heather

A:Upgrading computer, need video card advice

you will not get high fps with the 5450 or the 240 gt they are budget cheap cards , if you want high gaming spec its the 5770 which will be capable for a long long time,its bandwith is nearly double for starters but you will need good psu 600w min high efficency or 800w

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-computer-need-video-card-advice.968964/
Relevancy 50.31%

System i got now:
Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor:
2.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: AsRock P4VM890.
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.70 05/24/2007
Hard Drive: MAXTOR STM3250820A [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive
Memory: 1 X 1GB, 1 X 512MB

Can anyone give me any advice as to what would be the best thing to do to upgrade it e.g. suggest a different processor or anything? because it runs rather slow at the moment
(If you suggest buying something could you link something appropriate)

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-advice.692318/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,
i am considering upgrading my pc, and i wanted to know what should i upgrade and what should i keep (don't have a big budget, so i'd prefer to keep whatever i can!)

so here's my setup:

Mobo: Asus M2N4-sli
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+
Ram: 2gb kingston DDR2
GPU: Ati Radeon HD 4670 512 Vram

so? what do i do?

Thanks

A:Upgrading Advice

Hi Pink,
why are you upgrading?, and what is it you want to be able to do with your machine that you cant now?
secondly, what is your upgrade budget?
and what Power supply do you have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-advice.138559/
Relevancy 50.31%

As can be seen in my quot Fatal System Error quot thread the MB in my computer in signature is dead I don t see the point in the time or expense in repairing it especially since more damage may have been done anyway It was an older years old MB amp CPU anyway So even though I just upgraded my husband s gaming computer from this one about this time last year here I go again Since he still hasn t been totally happy with its performance to date and as long as I have to buy a new MB amp CPU anyway I might as well improve on his again So what I am wondering is this How much of a difference will a different MB amp CPU make especially if they are both in a similar class as the existing I d like to stick with AMD advice Upgrading X and an MSI board to simplify the tradeoffs from one system to the other More specifically here is what is going through my mind CPU - Looking at the same AMD Athlon x s I Upgrading advice have a How much do I gain going to or for example They all seem to go in the same MB s MB - Upgrading advice What do I gain with the different chipsets Is a different chipset better than another How can I find this out For example when I look at the product list on the MSI site I am looking at the socket AM and there are different boards in that group all with different chipsets The one I have is in that group Or do I have to go up to the next group of MBs AM in order to see an improvement over the existing MB Naturally I am aware that more memory will make a difference as well and since I doubt I can reuse the old memory that was in the now-dead board even temporarily I will of course get more memory right off the bat ie or even GB to go in the new board Before this happened to my computer I had been looking into increasing the memory in his I should have known better than to only buy GB at the time but I also had to get a new case and video card at the time too so I stayed conservative Speaking of video cards I am obviously aware that the AGP card that was in the now dead system cannot be reused since I had to replace it last time but I am thinking that I could delay on upgrading that as I should be able to use the newer one the PCI-E card in the new board and use the on-board of the existing temporarily since that system isn t used for anything graphics intensive That s not to say I won t get one right away either just that it could wait if it had to My immediate concern is to get both running again right away especially mine as there are a number of things I haven t been able to do or access for a month now but at the same time I want to improve on the better one of the two as well nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Hey there,

I was just looking round and I was looking to see what I should upgrade first. I built the system a little while ago and I am looking to upgrade it a little more. I am on quite a budget but I have been told the system I have is quite bad so I think I might need alot more improvements...

LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D Motherboard
AMD64 3200+ Proc
640MB DDR333 RAM (1x 512MB 400, 1x 128MB 333)
ATI Radeon X600Pro
DVD+/-RW (DL)
1x Maxtor 80GB HDD 7200RPM
1x Seagate 160GB HDD 7200RPM
5.1 Channel On-Board Sound
8x USB (6 + 2inc.)
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

Any ideas? I know its a bit generalistic but I just need some sort of idea what would be best to upgrade first.

Thanks

-Nukey

A:Upgrading advice

First, grab another stick of 512MB ram, and put it in there. Then I would get a new video card. The x600 series is quite bad. Let us know what your budget is.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-advice.43935/
Relevancy 50.31%

G day This seems like the most appropriate place to ask so here goes I haven t used my PC for gaming in a while probably - months and I just picked up advice! PC Upgrading Need - some Hitman Absolution I tried running the game on ultra but the benchmark struggled through - fps Now I m not expecting it to run flawlessly on max settings but I thought I d do a little better then that I guess I considered my rig to be more powerful than it actually is and I was hoping someone could take a quick glance at my specs and recommend any upgrades I don t have a rock solid budget I m the type of person that Upgrading PC - Need some advice! will spend a bit more for quality That being said to give you a loose idea I d say around - total I think more then anything I d like to know which component would benefit most from an upgrade because none of them really stand out to me maybe the CPU but I ll leave it to the experts My PC CPU Intel Core i - ghz GPU AMD Radeon HD Mem gb Mobo ASUS P Z -V LX PSU Antec Neo-Eco w Pretty sure I ve included all the relevant information thanks for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to hearing some of your suggestions cheers nbsp

A:Upgrading PC - Need some advice!

I would tend to think you could run that game with no problem. I checked the recommended specs [Not the min specs] and you well exceed the recommended specs.

Are you sure your system is running correctly ie not overheating, voltages normal, etc? Since you have an asus board, download and run asus probe and check your temps and voltages while under a full load. I use prime95 for stress testing however there are other apps as well. Prime95 is a free download available from many sites.

Post a screenshot of probe while you are running prime95.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-pc-need-some-advice.1081936/
Relevancy 50.31%

Dear friends I need some advice on upgrading my computer and as usual I need your help following are the items I am going to upgrade to - Processor- Amd athlon xp Dfi motherboard Ad- pro on some upgrading advice Need kt -A mb ddr ram These are the items I have selected after checking the prices and features The prices of older parts tends to reduce everytime new technology arrives thus I wish to avail of this oppotunity Now my questions are Is there a great performance difference between the AMD Xp processors ie etc The main reason i ask this question is that I too would like to purchase a processor with max performance but I thought if the architecture is the same quantispeed then the difference in performance would be marginal and it will save a few Need some advice on upgrading bucks Is it worth it to spend an additional to for a or athlon xp or will the xp be sufficient I wish to use a Voodoo agp Need some advice on upgrading with this new config will I get a performance boost in graphics I use this computer mainly entertainment watching movies surfing the web and ofcourse gaming I am an above average gamer not hardcore I play games like max payne soldier of fortune command and conquer etc My present config win Amd K - Asus P A-B M b Voodoo Agp mb sd ram hyundai asus x cd rom drive Hp i cd rewriter gb Need some advice on upgrading samsung hdd nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Hi here advice) (Need Upgrading s my current config Intel Celeron D GHz Upgrading (Need advice) Intel GSA Kingston MB DDR ram MHz Inno d Geforce MX MB -bit im thinking of upgrading but i have limited options Mobo A - Asus P KPL-VM Has Intel GMA this isnt X by any means Upgrading (Need advice) - Asus P N-MX Has nForce i Geforce B - Asus P GC-MX - Asus P GV-MX - Asus P S-MX SE - Asus P SD -VM Now if i buy Any motherboard from Group A I cannot buy a used Nvidia LE MB -Bit PCX card and i will share MB of my GB corsair XMS mhz So please suggest which would be better performance - the nforce chipset one - the gma one - or any board in grp B with LE if u can then also tell which board in grp be is better if u suggest this option also although i am sure all these mobo s support my processor celeron D please confirm this too also please tell me which of these boards has the best audio quality or codec coz i use an old amp from line-out doesnt have spdif My hdd is western digital SATA but ide support wud be great too also will i be able to have a tv-out with the nforce board i notice some of them have Gb lan or Mb wudnt make too much difference for me plz note that this pc will not be for gaming i just use photoshop n stuff just a casual upgrade but i wud like to have bang for buck thats y im asking thanks A lot nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-need-advice.766785/
Relevancy 50.31%

Well, first off, I'm upgrading the video card in my current computer to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814241063

Problem is, my current PSU (250W, 14A on the +12V) isn't nearly powerful enough to power this card. I know very little about PSU's, so I was hoping someone could make some suggestions as to some good PSU choices. I'm trying to save my money, though, so the best PSU for the cheapest price that could run this card and my computer would be appreciated.

My PC: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8399299&type=product&id=1179877502628

If I'm missing anything, tell me, and I'll post more info.

A:Upgrading PSU, need advice

Spend as much as you can afford on a psu of 400 watts or better.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-psu-need-advice.87139/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello I bought my computer two years ago specs below it is running slow seems to be running out of space I advice on what upgrading needs keep getting messages I use the computer mainly for listening to music and editing my photo s and camcorder dvd s Can you please advise me what components I should change to help my computer cope with all the jobs I am giving it - here are the specs advice on what needs upgrading - Windows XP advice on what needs upgrading Home Edition Service Pack build gigahertz Intel Pentium kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache HP Pavilion Board Hewlett-Packard Snapper HP P N Bus Clock megahertz Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity LITE-ON DVD RW SOHW- S CD-ROM drive quot format removeable media Floppy drive WDC WD BB- JHA Hard drive GB -- drive s n WD-WCAM rev C SMART Status Healthy Megabytes Installed Memory Slot A has MB Slot A is Empty c on drive GB MB free d on drive GB MB free Realtek AC Audio Net Adapter Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Network Card nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

i want to upgrade my RAM which is

Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz Triple Channel i7 XMS Memory Kit CL7 1.65V

and i have had that for almost 3years

should i just buy the exact same RAM again so i then have 12gb, is that best way of doing it

or should i be looking at the latest say 8gb kit?

thanks

A:upgrading my RAM advice

well i'd go for 3 x 4gb of the same type to replicate your triple channel setup, you would be disapointed if you went to dual channel ram from triple channel if you were able to notice it.

only the timing's have improved a smidge on ram these days.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/249597-upgrading-my-ram-advice.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I got 1 gig ram, 5700 Geforce, 2.8 GHZ itel celeron and am looking to upgrade my computer so counter strike source runs at over 100 fps and BF2 runs well. I got around 400 to spend and i think the best thing to do is upgrade ram and the video card..

This is the place i'm thinking of buying from (they are local)

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/parts.aspx?qryCat=VID

any suggestions/avice?

thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-advice-please.635525/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi I recently sold my Xbox due to the fact GTA IV s Upgrading- advice need being released on PC It was the only game I played on the xbox So I ve got Upgrading- need advice about - AUD to spend on upgrading my PC I m happy to sell parts or use them in the new PC My current config CPU E Ghz stock MOBO P VD -VM RAM GB DDR Mhz GB DDR Mhz Total GB Ram GPU GT MB PSU Upgrading- need advice Generic Watt x GB Sata x GB IDE x GB IDE DVD-RW IDE optical drive Standard case I use my PC for basic use such as internet and word processing photo and video editing and some gaming - hrs a week I d like the games to look as best they can for my budget Games I d be interested in playing are far cry crysis bully nfs undercover GTA IV and future games such as sims alan wake etc These are the style of games i d be playing I m competent in building the PC myself as I ve done it many times I have a quot LCD so I d want to run them at x These are some proposals I had not sure which suits me best ---------- ASUS P N-T Deluxe i x SLI amp nd hand- mate s selling it E which I will overclock Ghz on stock cooling amp free already have it GTX amp will buy another two eventually when prices go down nd hand Total amp AUD ---------- ASUS P N-T Deluxe i x SLI amp nd hand- mate s selling it E amp GTX amp approx second hand Total amp AUD ---------- Asrock K N SLIX Upgrading- need advice i x SLI Wifi amp AMDx amp GTX amp will buy another two eventually when prices go down nd hand Total amp AUD QUESTION This is the board http www asrock com mb overview as N SLIX -WiFi could I get the or and do way crossfire is there such thing --------- ASUS P Q-Pro would pref a cheaper mobo w crossfire recommend plz Generic will get another one and use crossfire Is this better than GTX in tri-sli E and overclock it Total - Generally I m not that keen on overclocking So I wouldnt mind changing to an AMD CPU I m also open to the ATI series althought I don t really know much about it Feel free to propose some systems for me I m wanting to get Tri-SLI mobo to save some cash in the long run Is that a good idea I m aware of the excess heat and power consumption When I eventually have cards would it mean there s no room for any PCI cards I ve got a TV tuner that I d want in there Thanks nbsp

A:Upgrading- need advice

I like Asus, but is not a favorite around theses parts.
Look into Gigabite motherboards.
I like either one or two.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-need-advice.776509/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hey I m currently saving up my pounds to upgrade my computer Atm I have a e DDr ram mhz a and im feeling it a bit on the latest games like whitcher So ive been looking around for a upgrade for a while now One thing I have my PC Upgrading need advice! eye on which looks like a worthy investment that will last is a overclocked bundle http www overclockers co uk showproduct php prodid BU- -OE amp groupid amp catid amp subcat Is that a worthy investment I hope I would see a good performance increase with something like that iv read a lot of reviews and the processor seems top notch Another thing I was wondering about was the GPU I didn t really want to spend anything on it I knew it was my CPU bottlenecking my but wondered whether then my would bottleneck this new set-up Well I was considering CF s as it would be dirt cheap to do it I ve been looking on eBay and I could pick up a basically brand new for under pound I ve read about Cross firing them and at high resolutions it seems to do well Do you think this would be a good decision for a cheap upgrade Also would my corsair W be able to handle it This is the GPU on eBay http www ebay co uk itm HIS-Radeo TV Cards TW amp hash item aae a ht wt Ive never cross fired before so does it matter that my is XFX and this one is Sapphire I shouldn t think so but thought i better ask Basically should i purchase that bundle upgrade Should i crossfire for a cheap upgrade on the GPU Can my PSU handle the Crossfire setup and new bundle Thanks for your time and any help nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Hi guys, My friend wants to upgrade his pc so he can play Command & Conquer? Generals, Halo, and games of that type with no lag. He has a budget of abt $250 (Canadian).

His Computer Specs:
VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP (64 MB)
Realtek ALC658 @ VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
KTC K-9005L [19" LCD] (15515)

any subjection will be appreciated

Thanks In advance,
Cyber

A:Upgrading Need advice...

Can you check his PSU as well please. How many watts is it, and how many amps on the +12v rail? I assume this is an HP/compaq system?

For that budget, his best bet is probably to leave the CPU alone and go for a graphics card. The problem is, a newer graphics card is likely going to require a new PSU as well. You could always just pop in a new graphics card and hope for the best. Worse case scenario is it won't work and you'll need a new PSU.

I'm tempted to say also upgrade the ram. His board only has two dimm slots. Is his current ram 2 sticks of 256mb or 1 stick of 512mb? If it is one stick of 512, then it'll be nice and cheap to get him up to 1Gb of ram.

This card is looking like it's in his range:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2529919&CatId=933

See what some others say on this as well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-need-advice.65388/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi

I am looking to upgrade my PC very soon and i just need a few opinions and some advice on what would be the best root to go.

Here is my PC at the moment:

i5 2500K
GTX 560Ti
Corsair 8GB 1600Mhz
60GB SSD Corsair
500GB samsung hard drive
asus motherboard p8z68-v
corsairHX 850W

So I defiantly want a big SSD. Like 500GB and i defiantly need to upgrade my GPU.
Should i think about upgrading to a newer gen of cpu? I don't want to because it will cost a lot however i will consider it if need be.

I do have a cooler on the CPU which is fantastic, forgot the model but its by corsair and its massive, so overclocking can be a option, I have done it in the past.

I will be very grateful for any help and opinions on this subject.

Thank you!

Relevancy 50.31%

Hi there Im looking to upgrade my pc mainly the processor motherboard and ram The thing is i really dont know the first thing about this stuff and my advice upgrading pc? Some for would really apreciate any advice you people can give me Here is my specs P ghz gb harddrive Some advice for upgrading my pc? dont know make or model gb of unbranded cheap ram xt graphics card Soundbalster live sound card and i have absolutly no idea what make my motherboard is its a medion cybermaxx pc Its a good pc and all been working fine since its birth years ago ive upgraded the graphics card and ram i dare not tred any further so when i get the stuff for this upgrade i will just take my pc to ashop and ask them to do it Ok i was planning on getting an amd athlon processor this one Some advice for upgrading my pc? http www pcwcomponentcentre co uk invt ada axbox Is that a good choice would that be better than my current pentium processor Or is there a better value or performace card in this range http www pcwcomponentcentre co uk amp icat ba amp bsref componentcentre amp temp prodlist Now with the motherboard it gets trickier I know with processors there just main competitors amd and pentium but with motherboards i turely have no idea what would be a good board I know that i will need one that is amd processor compatable but what else would it need to be compatable with my graphics card my ram or harddrive if its it my harddrive then thats even worse considering i dont know what make it was would this be a good motherboard for my needs http www pcwcomponentcentre co uk invt abitav or would there be a better one in the range of these pages http www pcwcomponentcentre co uk amp icat ca amp bsref componentcentre amp temp prodlist And lastly i would be looking for some new ram i was told corsair are a good make and have heard there name a few time so i will probably go with them but apart i dont know what all this ddr and what not mean would this ram be good and would it fit any of the motherboards above http www pcwcomponentcentre co uk invt hv twinx pt Also if i have gb of unbranded cheap ram would it be worth upgrading to the same size gb of ram even tho its a better make ie corsair thanks for any help you can give me nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Hi all. its time for an upgrade for me. i have chosen to go with this -----> http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/motherboardbundles/Novatech/MBB-9504G3.html
however i am not sure weather or not i will need a new PSU. i currently have a ennermax noisetaker II producing 485w. i also have a HD 5770 which runs fine at the moment. Will i need some extra power or is my psu ok?

A:Upgrading - need advice

Perhaps this will help:

Power Supply Calculator - http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-need-advice.163133/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello, It's my birthday soon and I was thinking of getting some parts for my pc to make it more powerful as I can't run certain games at 60 FPS (Arma III, Battlefield, etc.) The budget is around ?200 ($300)

Specs:

CPU AMD FX-4300
RAM 8GB Hyper-X
Motherboard MSI 970A-G43
Storage 250 GB Seagate HDD and 111 GB Kingston SSD
Graphics card AMD Radeon HD 7800 series Sapphire

Thanks for any help
-Lambda

A:PC Upgrading advice

Upgrade CPU.

FX 8350 .

AMD FX 8350 Processor - Black Edition - 8 Core - FD8350FRHKBOX - Scan.co.uk

Only thing is, you don't mention PSU wattage.

Now, if you upgrade GPU to more recent to play games
at higher FPS then , the CPU becomes the bottleneck. (FX-4300)

Catch 22 it seems as you cannot upgrade CPU and expect to have better FPS
as games depends on faster GPU.

To complicate things a bit, you also need to take PSU into account.

Higher clock CPU and better GPU will need adequate power to run stable.

Happy Birthday

http://www.pchelpforum.com/gaming/125111-pc-upgrading-advice.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi all,

I've had my PC for a number of years now and it definitely is in need for an upgrade / even a new one.

My PC is Packard Bell IMEDIA 1428

Specs:
OS Windows 7
AMD Athon(tm) 64 processor 3400+ 2.19 ghz
Orion motherboard MS-7168
2.5GB DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin (RAM)
Nvidea GeForce 7900GS
200gb Hard drive

I am thinking my problem may be my processor / RAM, but I hardly know anything on PC's.
The main purpose I use my PC for is gaming / Skype / Office 2011!
I am willing to spend around £200 on upgrades, but as I am off to University in September, I will plan to buy a Laptop, hence why I do not want to spend a lot on upgrades.

Any advice will be much appreciated!
Thanks!

A:Need advice on upgrading!

Put the money into your laptop, or buy a good off-lease machine for less than you want to spend. Upgrading is generally more expensive than it is worth, and with that machine, upgrades won't make a lot of difference, anyway. If you put £200 of new parts in that machine, it would make it worth, oh, £200.

I don't know what may be available to you, but for less than $200 (yes, dollars, so less than you want to spend), you can get an excellent computer from Tigerdirect.com. I just bought one for $120 that runs Windows 7 like a rocket. Of course, it needs to be compatible with you and your uses for it.

Check classifieds, too. A lot of people who have no idea of the value of a machine and just want to get rid of one can offer some very good deals.

But what do you mean by "my problem"?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-advice-on-upgrading.1051052/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi
I need to replace my hard drive in my toshiba satellite l50D-8 it's a Hitachi 750GB and is very slow indeed, but what should I choose Samsung or Western Digital? Oh and is Artic Silver a good thermal paste for my laptop?

Let me know in the comments section.

A:Advice on Upgrading?

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Both Samsung and WD are nice manufactures but if you are looking for a ssd, which should offer a great boost in speed, I'd go with Samsung's drives. I have never put thermal paste on a laptop before so I'm not sure how well it'll work.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/laptop-support/125872-advice-upgrading.html
Relevancy 50.31%

hi!
i currently have windows XP on my computer and am thinking on moving to windows vista.
its asking me to uninstall a lot of things that i cant do without for example the DVD-RAM driver.
im wondering where would i get my dvd ram driver program back from.
etc.
please can anyone give me any advice on what to do?
i have a toshiba windows xp media center edition

thankyou

A:would like advice on upgrading

You need to determine if your computer has the resources to even use Vista and which Vista you want to install.Check your computer manufacturer's website for drivers for your paticular computer. The link below lists minimum requirements for using Vista. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...quirements.aspxThis small software tool will scan your computer and create an easy-to-understand report of all known system, device, and program compatibility issues, and recommend ways to resolve them. Upgrade Advisor can also help you to choose the edition of Windows Vista that best fits the way you want to use your computer.http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...de-advisor.aspxJust my opinion, unless you have a compelling reason to switch to Vista, I would keep XP.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/189001/would-like-advice-on-upgrading/
Relevancy 50.31%

Guys I am upgrading my ram from 2gb to 6gb.I want to if there is gonna be any problem if upgrade my ram.My specs are
Processor : Core i3 2.10 GHz
Ram : 2gb
Graphic Card : HD 6670 DDR 5
HD : 160 GB
I am hoping to upgrade my ram to 6gb and run windows 8 on it.And I am casual gamer too.

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 4

Relevancy 50.31%

I Upgrading advice ve currently got a amd gb ram and a It s been working well since mid apart from the old vid card dying however its getting to the point that i cant play many new games on decent settings and the hdd failed a few weeks ago so its Upgrading advice probably about time to upgrade Intel Core Duo Processor E Ghz M Mhz LGA ASUS P K SE EPU Intel P LGA ATX FSB Core Upgrading advice Quad amp Core Duo Dual-channel DDR - x PCI-E x x PCI SATA x USB Gigabit Lan Corsair XMS GB GB x DDR - XMS - x Upgrading advice Mx non-ECC DIMM unbuffered - - - Mx DRAMs E P P Technology matched pair with Heat Spreader Western Digital Caviar GP GB RPM MB SATA II HDD WD AACS Palit GTX MB Bit DDR PCI-E TV-Out Dual Dual-Link DVI HDMI k NZD I m looking at something like that so far but not sure about whats good at the moment nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Hey I m pretty amateur when it comes down to up upgrading my computer so Can you guys please help me a little as I wouldn t want to buy something on (GFX/RAM/CPU) upgrading advice little A that s not going to work anyways My System Motherboard AsusTek M A -MVP Deluxe AMD FX chipset Processor AMD Athlon x Ram GB Graphics A little advice on upgrading (GFX/RAM/CPU) NVIDIA GeForce GTS So it s a little old now however I m thinking of upgrading Processor RAM and Graphics card as it s long over due Here s where I could do with a little help firstly will they be A little advice on upgrading (GFX/RAM/CPU) compatible and secondly your thoughts on them and or is there a better option Here s what I was thinking about upgrading to RAM ebuyer dot com -g-skill- gb- x gb-ddr - mhz-ripjawsx-memory-kit-cl - - - - - - v-f - cl d- gbxl G-Skill GB x GB DDR Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL - - - V Processor overclockers dot co uk showproduct php prodid CP- -AM AMD Bulldozer FX- Quad Core Black Edition Ghz A little advice on upgrading (GFX/RAM/CPU) Socket AM Processor Graphics Card videocardshop dot co uk viewproduct aspx part HD- X-ZAFC XFX Radeon HD M GB DDR DUAL DVI DP HDMI PCI-E Sorry I tried to make them links however I need over five posts Any help advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:A little advice on upgrading (GFX/RAM/CPU)

You're better off upgrading the board aswell. Your motherboard does not support DDR3 RAM (DDR2)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-little-advice-on-upgrading-gfx-ram-cpu.175241/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello to all. I was just planning to upgrade my RAM from 2gb to 4 gb or even 8gb. And I just want to ask...

1.) Can I even upgrade the RAM in my laptop(see attachment)?

2.) And second, what brand(of RAM) I should buy or avoid if I buy?

THANK YOU

A:Need advice on upgrading RAM

Go here with that machine:

RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com

It will sniff the PC and advise you. It's virtually always correct. I'd trust it.

I looked for your Samsung model at Crucial directly and couldn't find it, but the "sniffer" may find it.

Good brands:

Crucial, Corsair, G Skill, Mushkin, Kingston

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/220801-need-advice-upgrading-ram.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello I have currently 4GB of RAM but I am often lacking RAM so I have decided to upgrade to 8GB or 16GB.

My current config is old but still powerful enough for all my needs:

CPU : QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
MB Chipset: Intel Eaglelake P45
BIOS Type: Award Modular (01/25/10) version F12
RAM : 2 x 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM
GC : ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 (2048 MB) crossfire
Power: Corsair HX620W
Tower: Antec Twelve Hundred

What do you recommend to update my RAM?
Something compatible, performant and not too expensive please.

TIA.

A:Upgrading RAM - Need advice

Any of these from Crucial are guaranteed compatible:

Computer memory upgrades for Giga-Byte GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.0) Motherboard from Crucial.com

You will probably find that older DDR 2 RAM is more expensive than DDR 3, by a large margin.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/214314-upgrading-ram-need-advice.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello everyone I have a HP Pavilion Elite Advice Upgrading for PC HPE Series PC model number Advice for Upgrading PC HPE- y I m a PC gamer and I know a little bit about software but not so much hardware I want to upgrade my PC because the CPU clocks at GHz and also get a new graphics card around - because the one that came with the PC is getting a bit out of date I really would like to upgrade to an i Intel processor with around GHz CPU I think I ve read that the cores make it a good CPU for gaming because the cores will be able to multitask and thus better handle video games So I ve looked at the online specifications and it says my motherboard is only compatible with a few certain CPU s and they look like they re also kind of out of date I m not sure how out of date they are though they may be close to the ish speed I m wanting In conclusion I think I m going to have to replace the motherboard power supply to power the graphics card and new CPU and the graphics card Could anyone give me some recommendations on what parts to get that would be compatible with the stock HPE- y I have And would it be cost effective to upgrade my PC in this manner Or would it be better to just start from scratch and build a new rig Thanks a lot to anyone who replies Note I ll probably upgrade to gigs of ram too nbsp

A:Advice for Upgrading PC

You may want to check out the following link for upgrading your pc.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...egory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5068320#N169

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-for-upgrading-pc.1134244/
Relevancy 50.31%

OK I believe I will upgrade from XP to windows 7. So I don't miss or lose anything can someone tell me what I need to do to prepare for the upgrade so I don't lose anything? Let me know what I need to do to backup, save or whatever so I don't forget anything. Thanks for any and all help and advise.
Debbie

Relevancy 50.31%

Hello Firstly let me list my current Upgrading, could some do advice with computer spec MSI Intel E Max P Motherboard Pentium GHz CPU mb PC DDR RAM nVidia GeForceTi mb Video card Upgrading, could do with some advice I am looking to upgrade my video card to an nVidia GT mb However I saw that it is AGP x and my motherboard is AGP x so would I definately need to upgrade my MB If so I am going to go for a ABIT quot AV quot K T Pro Chipset Socket with a AMD Athlon CPU However if I do this will I need better ram to keep up with the Upgrading, could do with some advice CPU and GFX Card If so Upgrading, could do with some advice I m going to go for the gb x as I heard sticks are better Crucial XMS DDR PC RAM Can I upgrade the RAM on my current motherboard to the one listed above Or will it also require a better motherboard I want the AMD in the long run but I m buying it all in bits so what would be te best way to go about it In the end I d like it to be ABIT quot AV quot K T Pro Chipset Socket AMD Athlon CPU Pin Crucial XMS GB MBx DDR PC RAM GeForce GT mb Advise on this matter would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Upgrading, could do with some advice

I would recomend mobo, b/c you can use your comp while you can upgrade in the future in steps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-could-do-with-some-advice.259302/
Relevancy 50.31%

I want to upgrade my PC to improve my performance with the Adobe Creative Suite and wanted to know what the BEST thing I could do to improve my graphics performance with the programs in the Creative Suite My specs are as follows CPU s Number of CPUs Name AMD Athlon Code Name ClawHammer upgrading.... for Need some advice Specification AMD Athlon tm Processor Family Model Need some advice for upgrading.... Stepping F A Need some advice for upgrading.... Extended Family Model Need some advice for upgrading.... F Brand ID Package Socket Core Stepping SH -CG Technology um Supported Instructions Sets MMX Extended MMX DNow Extended DNow SSE SSE x - CPU Clock Speed MHz Clock multiplier x HTT Bus Frequency MHz L Data Cache KBytes -way set associative Bytes line size L Instruction Cache KBytes -way set associative Bytes line size L Cache KBytes -way set associative Bytes line size L Speed MHz Full L Location On Chip L Data Prefetch Logic yes L Bus Width bits Mainboard and chipset Motherboard manufacturer MSI Motherboard model MS- BIOS vendor American Megatrends Inc BIOS revision Version T BIOS release date Chipset VIA ID rev Southbridge VIA VT rev Sensor chip Winbond W THF Graphic Interface AGP AGP Status enabled rev AGP Data Transfer Rate x AGP Max Rate x AGP Side Band Addressing supported enabled Memory DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM DRAM Size MBytes DRAM Frequency MHz FSBRAM CPU CAS Latency clocks RAS to CAS clocks RAS Precharge clocks Cycle Time TRAS clocks Bank Cycle Time TRC clocks DRAM Idle Timer clocks Command Rate T of memory modules Module DDR PC - MBytes Module DDR PC - MBytes Software Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack Build DirectX version c Video Card ATI Radeon MBytes Any suggestions TIA nbsp

A:Need some advice for upgrading....

When it comes to working with vidoeo theonly things that will make much of a difference is 1. faster processor. 2. more ram.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-some-advice-for-upgrading.52013/
Relevancy 50.31%

Ok as of recently I had got myself a new tower my old one went ker-put and while this one isn t off the shelves a hand-down from my dad help upgrading and advice some I have run into several problems I had encountered before hand Graphics card and now a second one power supply Now I had talked to a friend about it and he said I should get a power supply other than the default I have So I decided I would upgrading advice and some help grab not only a power supply but also a graphics card just to make sure I have a decent PC for games Not looking outragous upgrade something like a W- W power supply and a graphics card that can run most games from about back at least on medium settings and still not lag online or such System info hope it s enough Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor AMD Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce SE nForce Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard BIOSTAR Group N PA-M S Antivirus Norton Internet Security Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled As of right now it can t play supcom without lagging even at low settings with just one unit on it sad face Forged alliance is one of my favourite computer games Another lesser note is my same friend is trying to help me with something that has blighted my computer for some time country difference I live in the UK he lives in america and we like to play games with each other and so far most games he plays are north america only which is starting to get old real fast Now I ain t sure if it s kosher for people to do it but so far whatever machine spirit powers my computer internet it certainly doesn t think it kosher at all So far he has given me at least IP proxy programs to try and even something called VPN and so far it has all come to nought but frustration As it stands I can get on american servers by the seems of things League of legends has proved this played on it and I rarely if at all lag on it So if any of you guys can help me get the ability to play on north america only games then I would be highly greatful if it matters current attempt to get in is maplestory So far my friend is going at it with vigour I would say borderlines insanity XD Oh and as for the upgrade bit if I could keep the buget at about I would be a very happy bunny there is leeway in ether direction but I would say is my extreme most Thanks for any help given nbsp

A:upgrading advice and some help

Hi,

Clearly the playing North American games is something we are not going to help you work around,...... we have Rules here, so take a break from gaming and read them>

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html
You are being given a Warning under our new Infractions system, this warning will not have Points assessed to it since you are brand spanking new to the site.

The next Infraction will have point value.

You may continue with your hardware issue for upgrading the computer, by opening a New Thread in the Hardware subforum.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-advice-and-some-help.947881/
Relevancy 50.31%

I want to start making my computer to become a better machine as it s beginning Upgrading. some Need advice. to feel a little dated The only things that are still working great are the Power Upgrading. Need some advice. supply and the Graphics Upgrading. Need some advice. card and I don t really see myself upgrading those until later I also got a new monitor just recently that works wonders Still I ve figured that other things deserve some fine tuning and I was hoping to get some advice about that Computer Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS Service Pack Service Pack DirectX DirectX c Motherboard CPU Type AMD Athlon MHz x Motherboard Name Unknown Motherboard Chipset ATI Radeon Xpress AMD Hammer System Memory MB PC DDR SDRAM BIOS Type AMI Communication Port Communications Port COM Communication Port Communications Port COM Communication Port Printer Port LPT Display Video Adapter GeForce GT MB Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GT MB D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce GT PCI-E Monitor SyncMaster BW SyncMaster CX BW Digital NoDB HVZP Monitor Plug and Play Monitor NoDB HVZP Multimedia Audio Adapter ATI SB - AC Audio Controller Storage IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller SCSI RAID Controller SCSI RAID Host Controller Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device Disk Drive SAMSUNG SP N GB RPM Ultra-ATA Disk Drive Maxtor D H GB RPM Ultra-ATA Disk Upgrading. Need some advice. Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device Optical Drive TSSTcorp CD DVDW TS-H U DVD R x DVD RW x x DVD-RW x x DVD-ROM x CD x x x DVD RW DVD-RW SMART Hard Disks Status OK Click to expand nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

I'm looking to improve my computer's performance with my videocard, and I'm not sure how to accomplish this. The thing overheats so easily that I can only play a game for so long before it begins to lag badly, and I don't know what would cause this, the power supply, CPU, or something else.

Any tips would be very appreciated!

Relevancy 50.31%

I am struggling to work out what the best thing would be to upgrade my processor/MB combination. I have a three year old system which is starting to struggle a bit and would like to get some more processing power to support a graphic card upgrade and to cope with large image processing tasks. My current setup has a Winfast NF4K8AA MB with a 2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64. Apparently and with some digging this has a 939 socket. Would it be worth taking a punt on ebay and upgrading to a slightly quicker processor? Or are some of the dual cores compatible? I would like to keep the MB to save money especially if I can avoid a new operating system even though it might be the limiting factor. Could anyone suggest a processor that might do the job?? Thanks in advance!

A:Upgrading my PC, help and advice please!

Your mobo will support up to AMD Athlon™ 64 4800+ X2 (Socket 939) ( if you can find one)
I am running the AMD Athlon™ 64 4200+ X2 (Socket 939) and I can tell you it would be an improvement over what you have now.
Upgrading to at least 2G ram will help also
This is the cheapest option as any other changes would mean a new motherboard etc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-my-pc-help-and-advice-please.816717/
Relevancy 50.31%

hello, i want to upgrade my cpu from a 3.4HT (single core)to a pentium d 3.2 or 3.4 or better but not extreme editions. i know the D runs hot and its power hungry processor but i have no other choice for my mobo. im more a gamer
heres is my mobo:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Moth...lName=GA-G1975X

A:Upgrading cpu advice please.

A 935 is nice. It's a Presler (65nm) and runs cooler than Smithfield. It priced a quite a bit lower than the 940 and the same speed. It's just missing VT. If you just run on OS at a time like most people you will never miss VT.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116262
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PD-935BOX

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-cpu-advice-please.71254/
Relevancy 50.31%

I currently have en eMachine T5048.

The processor is a Pentium 4 Running At 3.00 with an alloted 2gb of Ram.

I was wondering, if i could put in a faster processor and if that would help out much.

Right now im playing Starcraft 2 on High with No lag whatsoever during campaign missions.

I have an XFX Geforce 7600 GT Video Card also..

Any suggestions?

(i cant buy a new computer yet..too broke)

A:Advice for upgrading CPU

I was wondering, if i could put in a faster processor and if that would help out much.Click to expand...

I don't think it would help too much, but i'd consider an e3300, but I can't find your motherboard and don't think it would support it.

Also, you capitalize a lot of random words.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-for-upgrading-cpu.150967/
Relevancy 50.31%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+, AMD64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3071 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450, 2047 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 156963 MB, Free - 78152 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, F690GVM
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

I has considering upgrading my CPU to something more powerful because i have problems when running multiple programs, i seem to suffer from FPS drops in games when i have Skype, steam and a game up. I would like something around a quad core with 3.0GHz, i would like some advice on what processor is a bargain for money and my computer will be able to have.
Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 50.31%

Hey there i m new to the forums and I need some help I am thinking about upgrading my computer Need advice ! Upgrading, some and was wondering if I could get some advice on the best things to upgrade and in what order to do it Upgrading, Need some advice ! The only thing I really use my computer for is gaming and watching movies HD videos So I suppose I need to post my current specs Windows Rating Gigs of Ram Bit Software Hardware Display Adapter ATI Radeon HD Graphics ATI Radeon HD Series Processors AMD Phenom Triple Core Processor AMD Phenom triple core processor AMD phenom triple core processor At this point i m mostly lagging alot and want to have smoother gameplay If your looking for any other type of information let me know and ill post it ASAP Also I was wondering if your monitor can effect game smoothness I have a quot LCD flatscreen unsure of the response time It was kinda cheap though x Thanks please let me know if there s anything I can do to improve it nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Hi everyone, i need some advice upgrading a old dell demison desktop 3000
i just recently ordered 2 1gb ram and also i am wondering on what cdrw-dvd-rw can i purchase for this pc and if anyone else can give me some more ideas on what to upgrade it will be apprecitaed.

A:Need some advice upgrading

Don't spend too much money. More RAM, bigger HARD Drive, and better video... That's about it, besides a CD DVD R/W drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-some-advice-upgrading.84169/
Relevancy 49.45%

I wish to upgrade my graphics card from a GEFORCE GTX GB to a However I don't know what I would need to upgrade except for additional RAM and bigger power supply to make this happen Below are my current specs What do you all suggest Keep it simple terms for me as I no computer expert I would to upgrade if possble without buy a new computer but I will still take the suggestion if it would be more to my interest to buy a new one I can't build I advice Needing for upgrading dont have the knowledge base for that OS Needing advice for upgrading Name Needing advice for upgrading Microsoft Windows Home Premium Needing advice for upgrading Version Service Pack Build OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard System Model - xt System Type x -based PC Processor Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date AMI Installed Physical Memory RAM GB Total Physical Memory GB Available Physical Memory GB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys bull th Generation Intel R Core TM i - processor quad-core GHz MB Shared Cache bull GB Nvidia GeForce GTX DVI HDMI DP DVI to VGA adapter bull GB DDR - MHz DIMM bull TB RPM SATA Hard Drive bull -in- Multi-slot Media Card Reader USB Ports Front Top Audio Front USB Top USB bull No TV Tuner Card bull Integrated Sound Envy Audio Beats Audio bull HP USB keyboard and optical mouse bull HP WLAN b g n x MCard BT bull W Power supply

A:Needing advice for upgrading

Everything is fine at the moment with your specs for all new games. Just need a minimum 500w PSU, which you may already have. May have to add extra RAM in the near future.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/needing-advice-upgrading-4596270/
Relevancy 49.45%

Ok heres the story, i just went out and bought a copy of Medal of Honor Airborne and I tried too install it and when i go to play it it tells me 'my video card is not supported'.
Its a sad time in a persons life when they buy a program and find out there computer is too old too run it.
So now i need to upgrade my computers graphics card for the 3rd time in 6 years and i want some expert advice so i get the best possible upgrade. I have been running a ATI Radeon 9600 XT and would like a card in the $250 - $300 mark with the best possible preformence. Any suggestions???

Relevancy 49.45%

Firstly thanks for reading sincerity guaranteed Secondly I apologise for my appalling humour in my writing I just can t help myself So I should probably get to asking my question right about now otherwise you shall think me to be wasting your time and we do not want that now do we Counterproductive much Okay the computer I have now must be Advice: Upgrading Hardware Need like years old or something which probably makes it nearing retirement age in computer years I now have to read the back of boxes in the shop to check the old-timer will be able to make sense of it its terrible So you may see where I m going with this Need Advice: Upgrading Hardware changes need to be made Because before too long Need Advice: Upgrading Hardware ArenaNet will be releasing the long awaited sequel to a very popular MMORPG which promises to be visually appealing which has the Old-Timer rather worried He s getting too old for this kinda stuff So he needs your help When the sequel is released I want to be able experience it in its full glory Like the first time you exit the sewers in ES IV Oblivion after getting so accustomed to the grey rocky wastelands of ES III Morrowind I plan to be awestruck by GW yes struck by awe Which really is a very long winded way of saying What should I do ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Model HP Pavilion m Media Centre PC a k a Old-Timer OS XP Media Centre Ed MB not sure doesn t appear to have any recognisable brand logo on the board CPU Intel Core GHz PSU Sweex W Dual-Fan RAM GB does not appear to be branded HDD x GB Seagate Barracuda rpm GPU Radeon X XT Note Old-Timer s stock PSU was upgraded due to failure I know Sweex aren t exactly the best known brand but if I may I really do recommend It has given the old-timer a new lease of life and even quieted him quite substantially from the anti-social groaning sounds that he used to produce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I know I m going to have to spend a bit of money but my budget is pretty limited Is there anything I can salvage from the old machine The GPU definitely has to be upgraded what s the best mid range card going at the moment Something like the HD that s about my price range would my current PSU be up for powering that card I reckon the CPU is still serviceable upgrading that might bump the price up considerably I d probably have to change the MB too but more than likely well worth the investment I think I ll more than likely need a new case too the old one is only just big enough for the current set-up and will definitely not house the brutish HD Advice on any of these questions and or other options available will be greatly appreciated And once again thanks for reading Jimmy ----- UPDATE I m now seriously considering just scrapping most of the old system in favour of just buying a new one CyberPowerSystems seems to be offering some very good deals on custom PC s and I ve got one spec ed up for under which i believe will suit my needs nicely CPU Intel Core i GHZ MB L Cache LGA HDD GB Samsung Spinpoint F SATA-II Gb s M Cache RPM Hard Drive MOTHERBOARD GigaByte P M-UD Intel P Chipset SLI CrossFireX DDR ATX Mainboard w HD Audio GbLAN USB SATA-II RAID Gen PCIe PCIe X amp PCI MEMORY GB x GB PC DDR mhz Dual Channel Memory Corsair Value Select or Major Brand VIDEO ATI Radeon HD PCI-E X GB DDR Video Card OS Windows Home Premium -bit Would anyone change anything with this It d all be compatable right I would be salvaging only the optical drive and possibly HDD s from the old machine nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

Hi All

I am running XP Pro on an 18 month old Dell Lattitude laptop and have regularly received and installed 'Updates' from MS AutoUpdater. However, I have not upgraded to SP2 and have now not updated windows for some months.

I am concerned that I may be missing out on some system updates that i should perhaps install and so am contemplating upgrading to SP2. What I am wondering is if I do, can I use System Restore to easily revert back to what I have now as a just in case?

I have heard of so many issues regarding SP2 that I don't wish to experience. What do you good folks advise?

Relevancy 49.45%

I've recently acquired a Windows Tablet and I was impressed by how Windows worked so far I was holding back on upgrading my desktop to Windows but my current Upgrading a 8.1, things on advice Win need few to experience has now led me to the decision to update my desktop Before I make the jump I have a few concerns My desktop is a custom build that I did about a year ago If you look at my system Upgrading to Win 8.1, need advice on a few things specs Upgrading to Win 8.1, need advice on a few things its a decent budget gaming desktop Here's a list of my few concerns I misplaced the driver discs for my Motherboard Asus Is there any program that I can use to tell me the details of my motherboard so I know which driver I should download I've seen a few from searching google but if there's a good program that anyone could suggest it would be most helpful Is GB RAM adequate for Windows I plan to upgrade in the next few months GB but will it cause an issue if I install Win on my current setup Does Win have a feature similar to what Win had where you could download a WinXP virtual machine I have a few older programs that are no longer updated that require WinXP Thanks in Upgrading to Win 8.1, need advice on a few things advance

A:Upgrading to Win 8.1, need advice on a few things

Check ASUS support site for drivers you need and updated drivers for your model PC , i can not show you because under your specs there is no model numbers, just make sure to select 32bit or 64 bit of Windows 8.1 whichever your OS has.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download

As far as programs, check the site, not sure what you mean exactly by programs...e.g...Utilities ?

4GB is fine, bit low for gaming, but will do o.k with Windows 8.1 . Upgrading RAM again check with ASUS support site look at there RAM QVL List under your PC model support list, make sure get right specification RAM for this motherboard.
Check here for older software, chances XP software may or may not work Windows Compatibility Center

Not sure about Virtual Machine, but chances similar to old software, mattering to software for Virtual machine, if older.
XP is not supported anymore, meaning will become a risk being used anyway.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/59214-upgrading-win-8-1-need-advice-few-things.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi I currently use XP -bit Two HDD s in my PC atm one is a GB and one is a gb Both have had XP -bit installs put on them but i boot from the gb one and use the gb as storage nd HDD Now If i format my gb HDD with vista -bit can i just plug in my bit XP HDD the one and transfer the files over Or even Advice to on Vista 64-bit upgrading just leave it plugged in as well for storage I ahve Advice on upgrading to Vista 64-bit basically gb total needed files so i was just going to transfer anything on my gb to the gb before i format So is this possible or will the clash in OS s cause it to not work even though the nd HDD is just basically storage Cheers Edit Also i ve heard that in vista you can t select quot headphones quot under the sound tab which in games will make it hard to detect which direction sound is coming from BTW i use a USB sound card no drivers for it though nbsp

A:Advice on upgrading to Vista 64-bit

If just copying files, then Vista should be able to see the other drive just fine (if you get a permission issue, just grab ownership of the files).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-on-upgrading-to-vista-64-bit.718624/
Relevancy 49.45%

I am planning on revamping my computer this summer I am going to do a MOBO and Processor Swap My dilemma is this I want to get a MOBO that incorporates the new DDRAM I have this solved pretty much I m choosing a Gigabyte MOBO As for the Processor I have been looking at the AMD Thunderbirds to GHZ Speed I want The system to be able to handle any tasks I present it with The system I m running on now is a AMD with MB of RAM so its going to be leaps and bounds better Than what I have now My primary question is about processor speed and what would be a good speed for me to purchase I am planning on buying a advice Upgrading Need Hardware.... some Micron Devices MB Stick of DDRAM also So Need some advice Upgrading Hardware.... does anyone have any suggestions I don t want to spend a lot of money maybe to total including new power supply Would a MHZ with MB of DDRAM be a great system with a RPM HD Thanks for the help Oh and is there anything different about OEM processors are they cheaper made or slower nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

Hey everyone. I need serious advice on upgrading my Laptop CPU. I don't know what CPU to go for. Here are my specs (Saves you time opening my specs):

Dell Inspiron? 1545 Laptop
Microsoft? Windows 7 Ultimate RTM Build 7601 SP1 64 bit OS
4 GB RAM
Celeron? Dual-Core CPU T3000 @ 1.80GHz
Mobile Intel? GM45 Express Chipset (GM4500, X4500)
Dell Motherboard Model 0G848F
160GB HDD
Native Resolution 1366 x 768 (15.6")
IDT HD Sound

I don't know which CPU to go for. I'm looking for an improvement in overall performance, maybe gaming (for CPU's that have intergrated graphics but preferably a better overall performance). Preferably any CPU that's better than the Celeron Dual-Core T3000. I know that's not a good processor but I'm looking for better performance. Any advice given will be highly appriciated. Thanks in advance!

A:Need Advice On Upgrading Laptop CPU

First, are you sure it is even possible to upgrade the CPU in your laptop? Only a small few laptops allow this. Second, even if the chipset can take it, and the CPU isn't soldered in, the cooling system may not be able to handle it. Even if you get passed all those restrictions, your still going to be severely limited in the gaming department by the onboard video card.

Honestly, if gaming is what you are after, you can either spend a fortune on a gaming laptop, or just build a tower, saving the laptop for everyday, less-intensive work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/169149-need-advice-upgrading-laptop-cpu.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I want to upgrade my toshbia eqiuim A110-252, it currently has 512 of DDR2 RAM (533 MHz).
does it matter if i get ram of a different size and or speed. could this slow down the system?

if i get ram of 667 mhz would it slow this ram to 533 to match the other?

is there any ram which is reccomended for my notebook?

Thx Mcna

A:Need advice on upgrading laptop ram

Go to www.crucial.com and they can match your RAM to your computer.

The computer will slow RAM speed to the speed of the slowest chip. Aside from that, no difference.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-advice-on-upgrading-laptop-ram.534248/
Relevancy 49.45%

It s not exactly a technical Advice? unit. Upgrading problem but I feel that I need to ask a professionals opinion on what I should do I am starting my course in September - Computer animated arts - and I m getting a graphics tablet that I don t think will work on my current laptop and also my current laptop is barely holding together and Advice? Upgrading unit. doesn t play game like it s supposed to I want a laptop that can Play games that is My current laptop barely runs anything even the browser and I refreshed it a few days ago The people in the store lied to me but eh its good enough for facebook Pricing is an issue I am not looking to go any higher than - as I have been told that Advice? Upgrading unit. s all I can go too It needs to be able to run games Advice? Upgrading unit. like Gary s mod Tera Rising Sims Alice Madness Returns etc I broad range of games that I havn t been able to play My pc unit barely runs Tera as it is I haven t even tried Star wars My current laptop - http www toshiba co uk discontinued-products satellite-c d- f which is now discontinued I really want an upgrade - one thats not covered in paint and art stuff from my previous course nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-upgrading-unit.1124297/
Relevancy 49.45%

To get this out of the way: specs
Abit Fatality FP-IN9
Intel Core 2 quad Q6600 (4x 2.4GHz) stock cooling
2x XFX Nvidia 8500gt Graphics Cards (x8 x8)
2x Patriot 1024MB ddr2-800 running at 5-5-5-15
Samsung 500gb harddrive (sata)
no overclocking

Now then, a while back, I bought Overlord. I've noticed two things: One, good game, and two, I lag horribly at the highest settings.

Basically, how do I find any bottlenecks which might impede performance, and if there are any obvious problems with my setup, how can they be solved (cheaply)?

And another thing, while on the hunt for a better Mobo, I ran across a few articles stating that there is no obvious performance boost between full x16 sli and x8 sli. It has also been a long, arduous trudge to find a mobo under $200 that offers double x16 sli. Is it worth it?

A:Upgrading advice needed

I'd say those graphic cards are holding you back. You can try to sell them and get a P5k mobo and 8800GT. Or just get the 8800GT and wait to upgrade your mobo. Both of the cards you have aren't very strong, and SLi with weak cards doesn't do much good.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-advice-needed.104985/
Relevancy 49.45%

Can I first refer to an old closed thread
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/502981-gx240-upgrade-2.html

It says if I have same problem to post a new thread so here goes.

I have a Dell OptiPlex GX240 with a 1.7 p4 processor. I am about to upgrade to a p4 2.6ghz @ 400fsb as per the person in that old thread.

My BIOS is A03 do I need to role back to an earlier BIOS as suggested briefly in the previous thread. If I do is there a downside to using an older BIOS?

Also would this upgrade (with a roled back BIOS) really make a difference to performance?

A:Upgrading old processor. Need advice.

I would try it with the bios version you have
Dell states that the 2.6 will work as long as it is 400fsb and 512k cache

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx240/en/ug/specs.htm#1106346

More than likely you will need to upgrade the bios to the latest version available for it to work properly.

Downgrading bios's is usually a tactic to get processors to work that were never meant to work in that system.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-old-processor-need-advice.896841/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi there (my first posting)

I'm thinking of upgrading my PC myself and although not a novice I'm not too sure what I should upgrade first . I've no real operating issues it's just a matter of keeping up with the times and ensuring my PC can handle anything I might throw at it over the next 2 or 3 years.

I use it mainly for surfing, office applications, multimedia (music and digital photography) and gaming, although I'm not a hardcore gamer.

Below are some specs: -

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

2.4 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

40.02 Gigabytes ST340016A Hard-Drive

Quantum Designs Ltd Superb 4 V1.XX Motherboard

Bus Clock 133 megahertz

512 Megabytes installed memory

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Graphics Card

Unsure about my sound hardware , I think it is integrated, the multimedia details I looked up show;

MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
SiS 7012 Audio Driver
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks

A:Solved: Upgrading advice

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your system as is for what you do with it, and it will last you much longer than 2 or 3 more years. The only thing you might do, if you add more applications, is to add more RAM.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-upgrading-advice.363803/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hiya my system is about years old Looking to upgrade it My ex BF built it and whilst I m quite competent with pc s I m by no means an expert so looking for a bit of advice on what to get I use Photoshop InDesign a lot and notice the system struggles when I have large files open particularly in InDesign I get black screens now and :) Advice Upgrading Please System, again not too often and it takes a while to open work with very large images So I m thinking I want to upgrade my graphics card and also my RAM My current system is below if anyone could recommend a really good graphics card that would quot fit quot my motherboard and be a decent upgrade to what I have now it would be appreciated I d also like another hard drive to give me some more space and I need a new heatsink fan for the CPU as the fancy one my ex bought is that huge that I can t get the side on the PC as the heatsink fan sticks out Nvidia GeForce GTX gb AMD Phenom II x T CPU GB RAM DDR x GB Asus Tek M A TD-V Evo Windows Ultimate bit g Seagate HDD Monitor res - x So to recap definitely want a new graphics card at least GB RAM poss GB a new heatsink fan that will fit my processor and tower and a possibly a new hdd Budget not too much of a problem poss - for everything inc paying the guy to upgrade it for me figured it d Upgrading System, Advice Please :) be cheaper if I bought the parts myself then took them to the upgrade guy Thoughts Thanks xx nbsp

A:Upgrading System, Advice Please :)

The bottleneck when opening/saving large files is typically the HDD access speed. The best fix for this, is to use an SSD as the primary drive. A typical OS/software install will use 60-70GB. Get a model 240GB+, and you will have plenty of room for the OS, all software, and project files. You can then use your existing HDD for additional storage and to keep a backup of anything important.

Upgrading to 8GB is plenty for most people. But note that unless you are using a 64bit OS, you can only use 4GB. So this may not be an option.

A new heatsink/fan is a waste of money of you are having an overheating issue, or have a reasonable fear of having one. In normal conditions, when everything is clean and free of dirt, a stock unit is sufficient.

And unless you are having a display issue, I would just hold off on the video card. The behavior noted above could just as likely be an OS, software, or video driver issue as opposed to an actual video card fault.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-system-advice-please.1141312/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi! I am going to upgrade my PC soon. All I want to buy is teh ATI 8670 Graphics card and about 4 more Gb of RAM. Now, I know that I will have to upgrade my powersupply to at least 500w (i will go for the 700w , because i want to buy new cpu in like the next year when i have money for that too)

My question is: Will my current Motherboard and CPU be able to handle that graphics card? Because if not I will have to wait since I dont want any other card.

Motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2848#ov

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @2,66 GHz
http://ark.intel.com/products/36463

I also currently have 2gb of DDR2 RAM and ATI HD Radeon 4670. Anything else you need to know?
Thanks in advance!

Relevancy 49.45%

Ok so ive worked my off Upgrading advice system. Your :o) please for the last weeks of my summer break from College and now i am in the rare situation of having a bit of cash in my pocket Up utill recently my system has handled everything like a dream Upgrading system. Your advice please :o) and any game i throw into it But I recently bought a few games GTAIII SOFII Double Helix amp Giants Citizen Kabuto and they all seem to desire a bit more system beefage than my comp can muster Now ive got about to spend approx Ive been thinking about an overhaul something like this New Mobo with AGP New G-card or MB New CPU Here is my current and somewhat ageing syst spec Pentium III Mhz MB RAM d prophet II MX Creative Soundblaster PCI Seagate GB rpm Samsung x DVD ROM Freecom NEC CD RW OS Windoze ME Philips quot Monitor Lucent k WinModem Cant find make of mobo but it is an Intel one with no AGP slots grrrmph I would like some reccomendations for all three components stated or even a different combination of upgrades that you think would be the most wise choices for me If you could put yourself in my position and tell me what you would spend this dosh on for a good performance boost i would be very thankful I mainly play games on my system but I dont just want to get a powerful graphics card alone cos I will also be continuing to use my PC for many other things such as college work amp www Look forward to your suggestions nbsp

A:Upgrading system. Your advice please :o)

Ok You have Loads enough there.

A new Motherboard will cost u 60-100 Quid. If your looking at a new MB, u might need to update ram though. The guys will be able to say more here! IM guessing that 787mhz your Processer is overclocked?

Graphics card wise u should get a AGP 2x or 4x Slot in new motherboard. Ati card seems to have problems with GTA3 though that might be patched out soon. So a Geforce4 (NOT MX) should do the job but im having no problems with my Geforce3 yet.

http://www.pcindex.co.uk Should find u a good deal thugh shop around.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-system-your-advice-please-o.2416/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi i am upgrading a friends PC and just wanted to check my list of parts with the experts to make sure they are compatible and reliable!
Im getting them from ebuyer (newegg not available in UK)

Memory
Crucial 4GB (2X2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Ballistix Memory CL4 2.0V

Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz Socket 775 1066MHz FSB 3MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

PSU
OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU - SLI Ready ATX2.2 12cm Fan

Mobo
Foxconn G31MXP-K G31 Socket 775 VGA 6 Channel Audio MATX Motherboard

HDD
Maxtor STM3250310AS 250GB SATAII 7200rpm 8MB Cache - OEM

He has case/fans/monitor already so no need for them!
He also said he wants it to be quiet, are the fans on processor/psu particularly loud or not?

Relevancy 49.45%

I was thinking of taking the plunge to getting the discounted windows 8 upgrade for my computer. I meet the requirements by far, and at $39.99 for digital copy, I am thinking of taking the upgrade.

I was curious if anyone could shed some light on whether or not this would be worth it? This sales goes on until sometimes in Feb 2013. The Windows 8 Compatibility tool comes back with 100% compatible review of my computer.

I ran the public preview of Windows 8, and I liked it alot, and would like feedback from the Windows 7 community.

A:Advice on upgrading to Windows 8.

Quote: Originally Posted by tlarseth

I was thinking of taking the plunge to getting the discounted windows 8 upgrade for my computer. I meet the requirements by far, and at $39.99 for digital copy, I am thinking of taking the upgrade.

I was curious if anyone could shed some light on whether or not this would be worth it? This sales goes on until sometimes in Feb 2013. The Windows 8 Compatibility tool comes back with 100% compatible review of my computer.

I ran the public preview of Windows 8, and I liked it alot, and would like feedback from the Windows 7 community.

To tell you the truth, maybe you don't know but the windows 7 u have has much more potential and is much better (thats my view currently), but if u are not bothered by tech things then u should probably go for it. Can't really say though, W8 is less "hackable" if u are in these sort of things. But using a mouse and metro just don't seem to get along, unless u have touchscreen. I'm personally staying away from wp8 unless microsoft comes out with something really strong to make me shift.

The new W8 will shift towards cloud computing mostly and i don't like it cause it feels like im insecure in the new windows, though the security in terms of malware protection should go up.
Do note that upgrading instead of installing a fresh copy often is a hassle.

The final choice is yours, if u feel you like it, then go for it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/262651-advice-upgrading-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Recently got an old laptop up and running Toshiba Equium A and found it has only MB RAM takes ages to do anything and I m planning to give it to my mother purely for her to watch films etc on I am a complete novice this will be the first time I do this so please excuse my ignorance I used the scanner from a website called crucial and found the max I can upgrade to is a quot GB -pin SODIMM DDR PC memory module quot - however I have a Advice (UK RAM about based) upgrading few questions Where is the cheapest place to buy this RAM On the crucial website it is listed at but I have looked around on sites such as ebay etc but the prices all seem to be roughly the same around - just don t want to buy it and find it cheaper somewhere else Is there any difference between buying new and used RAM - ie does it decrease in performance over time Is the RAM card in a server different to that in a normal laptop Found many on ebay which match the description above but some have server or laptop after them Thanks in advance for your reply Kevin nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

Hi there. I am looking at upgrading my current system which i built myself 16 months ago but would like it to be more gamer friendly. Ideally i only want to upgrade my processor and possibly my psu. here are current specs:

msi k9n6pgm2-v mobo
casecom 350w psu
2x 1gb ocz value series pc2 5400 ram
amd athlon x2 64 4200 cpu + spire cooling fan
gainward gt 220 gfx card
1x 80gb seagate hdd
1x 320gb maxtor hdd
win7 home premium

i have looked at an athlon II x2 250 cpu as msi website says its compatible and an ocz stealth xtream 500w psu. not sure if anything else needing unless more ram required.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Relevancy 49.45%

I have an old Computer that runs on an AT Power source, a FIC PA 2011 mobo which will take AT or ATX Power. The CPU is a Pentium 233 Slot 7. The system runs at 66MHZ. Can be run at 75 using jumber settings. The question is: what are my limitations with the existing mobo. Do these Evergreen upgrades to ALathon 550 really work? Should I just get a new motherboard with the highest Pentium for a Slot 7 AT system. The computer has a nice PNY graphics card with 64mb of ram and decent drives. I'd like to upgrade it for about $150 if that's possible and keep it as a backup. Any suggestions.

A:Advice on Upgrading from P233

Evergreens are junk IMO..

You might look to flashing your Bios and going to a K6 Flash

Never mind you wont get much of a speed increase with that..

Best bet is to look for a cheap combo CPU and board at Fry's or something.. Of course you will need new Ram and ATX case.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-on-upgrading-from-p233.68592/
Relevancy 49.45%

I've been sticking to Windows XP as quite frankly more recent OSs seem to have been more and more dumbed down However I am an avid gamer and with from I Finally 8, or OS need advice. 7 my XP upgrading to more and more games requiring DirectX or I can't put this off any longer Finally upgrading my OS from XP to 7 or 8, I need advice. So I'm finally biting the bullet and looking to upgrade- initially I had decided to wait until Windows was released but then I found out that Windows and will be able to upgrade to for free so I decided not to bother with that plan anymore I've already checked my processor and motherboard to ensure they're -bit compatible so that won't be a problem However I plan to do a massive upgrade to my system in the next year or two and I want to make sure I'm not wasting money on a key that will be locked to my current hardware and cannot be transferred when I upgrade From what I found many of the cheaper keys are OEM keys which are apparently locked to the motherboard they're first activated on- how that can even be legal I'm not entirely sure but regardless I don't want to be trapped like that and have to buy another key when I upgrade my system So basically my questions are twofold Is it best for me to upgrade to or I mostly want whichever is cheapest since it's just being used as a stepping stone for me to How do I ensure a key I'm getting is non-OEM Being able to keep my OS when I upgrade my system is a must And yes I understand that going from a -bit system to a -bit system means I'll have to do a clean wipe of my harddrive My father has a private server I can use to back up any files I need to keep and indeed already do backup many of them

A:Finally upgrading my OS from XP to 7 or 8, I need advice.

Welcome to the forum.

While there are many opinions as to whether Windows 7 or 8 is a better choice, it is becoming difficult to find a retail copy of Windows 7 for sale from any reputable vendor and it is the retail version that you need to be able to transfer it to a new machine. Microsoft no longer sells Windows 7.

To assure that you get a retail and not OEM version, buy the Retail copy from a reputable vendor.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/359817-finally-upgrading-my-os-xp-7-8-i-need-advice.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi All My brother has recently gotten himself into a right mess with his PC He clicked on one of those Download free software and games ads you see on some innappropriate sites and he has now paid the consequences From what I can gather it installed some dialback trojan virus and how XP.... to drive for more space to Upgrading get advice caused a huge phone bill that he was unaware of as well as installing a whole range of crap and corrupting many of his files Anyway as I have been away on holidays he asked a so called mate if he could take a look and fix it for him - and what a total mess he made of it The guy was a complete joke - and has no idea as to PC recovery etc He didn t do a back up of anything all my bro s pics files letters emails etc are gone - when they were there before this guy did what he did He then proceeded to install a Upgrading to XP.... advice for how to get more drive space pirate copy of XP Upgrading to XP.... advice for how to get more drive space Pro on my bro s machine which was also not complete phah I am not happy with pirate software and so here s what I have done so far Probably not the right things Upgrading to XP.... advice for how to get more drive space to have done but I am getting there with a full system recovery Created a DOS boot disk Reformatted the C drive Installed a legal copy of Windows - this works Purchased XP Home Upgrade Tried to install XP but the system tells me that I cannot install XP on this machine because I do not have enough Hard Drive Space The thing is there is a GB drive in the machine and XP was installed originally cannot find the Packard Bell recovery discs and so I know it can be re-installed So I looked at the C drive and can see it is only formatted fat GB so it would seem that when I reformatted the C drive it didn t format the entire drive just a small section to which I then installed Windows So how do I now proceed to get the purchased XP license installed on the machine Do I need to reformat the entire drive reinstall then upgrade if so how do I do this please Looking forward to your help and advice ladies and gents many thanks John nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

I have an old computer currently using Win It has a partitioned hard drive simply because it couldn t be upgraded any other way I want to put Pro on it because I want to use a wireless keyboard and mouse with OFFERED] from Upgrading [ADVICE Pro 95 to 2000 this computer I have very little software or peripherals on this computer at this point as it is mainly used for very basic things I would like to reformat the C drive to get rid of old stuff and maximize the recovery of drive space I want to know is there any reason to believe this system [ADVICE OFFERED] Upgrading from 95 to 2000 Pro would not work with It is an AST model from the mid- s And what is the best way of doing this I do have some stuff on one of the partitioned drives that I would like to keep but it wouldn t be the end of the world if I lost it I am reasonably computer competent but not confident I know all I need to know to make this go smoothly Thanks for your help I did follow the [ADVICE OFFERED] Upgrading from 95 to 2000 Pro suggestion to check out the Black Viper article on should I just follow that nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

I have been thinking about upgrading the WLAN module in my laptop and would welcome any recommendations that you may have. The current module is the Realtek 87323BE. Ideally, the new module would have support for the 5GHZ band and 802.11ac. Thanks in advance for any recommendations! 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Advice-on-upgrading-WLAN-module/td-p/5684707
Relevancy 49.02%

Ok, so my computer is getting pretty old and I am looking to do some upgrading. I am using an Asus A7S333 Mobo with 266Mhz FSB and a 2x,4X AGP slot. Currently I have an Athlon 2100+XP with 768MB of 2700RAM. My video card is a Radeon 9000 64MB.

I'd really like to extend the gamelife of my computer. I can run CS:Source on low-medium detail with a decent ping but that seems to be my limit. So I have 2 questions.

1)What would be my best bet on a video card without my FSB bottlenecking?

2) Would it be worth it to upgrade my CPU to a 2800+ XP?

My budget is limited so I wouldn't be putting any high end cards in. This would be my last update before I bite the bullet and get a new one. Any help would be appreciated.

A:In need of some Video Card Upgrading advice

if i were you i would upgrade the motherboard and not the CPU.
1. Because your motherboard only supports upto 4x AGP and
2. Because if you want to upgrade your CPU, you may need a new mobo to support the CPU. try http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/product_info/details__cat_id--419,prod_id--245630245.html for details on a good motherboard.

If you don't buy a new motherboard then i suggest saving your money, just buy a new graphics card for the time being, like the nVidia GeForce 6600GT for AGP. Use it for a few months then when you buy your whole new pc, you can buy a motherboard with an nForce 3 chipset that supports AGP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/in-need-of-some-video-card-upgrading-advice.33773/
Relevancy 49.02%

If I go to the company site https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/p...=bottom_button it costs ?19.95. and includes a backup CD and something called Extended Download.

There are what seem to be similar products from Amazon DSOLUTION Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Lifetime - Windows: Amazon.co.uk: Software @ ?8.99 +p&p
Or Malwarebyte UK Retail - PRO Lifetime: Amazon.co.uk: Software @?12.99 + p&p.
Neither include the extras.
I?m uncertain which would be the one to go for once p&p is taken in to consideration.
Your thoughts?

A:Upgrading to a Pro version of Malwarebytes... advice please!

Quote: Originally Posted by rundwald

If I go to the company site https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/p...=bottom_button it costs ?19.95. and includes a backup CD and something called Extended Download.

There are what seem to be similar products from Amazon DSOLUTION Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Lifetime - Windows: Amazon.co.uk: Software @ ?8.99 +p&p
Or Malwarebyte UK Retail - PRO Lifetime: Amazon.co.uk: Software @?12.99 + p&p.
Neither include the extras.
I’m uncertain which would be the one to go for once p&p is taken in to consideration.
Your thoughts?

I'd go for the cheapest in your situation, presumably Amazon. I can't image you would need any of the "extras". I don't know about that "P and P" stuff--I assume that is for a CD version, which you don't really need.

I recently saw it for $14 US.

I paid around $20 for my copy---directly from Malwarebytes. All you really need is a means to download it and a legitimate Product Key to activate it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/213950-upgrading-pro-version-malwarebytes-advice-please.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi Guys

Just got a question for all you tech heads.

I am upgrading, it goes like this -

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA 7N400L/PRO

CPU - AMD Athlon 3200+

Video Card - This is the main part im having problems with, i dont know wether to go for a Radeon or a Geforce card.

The 2 cards im looking at are the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb and the Nvidia Geforce NX 6800.

Can anyone tell me which will perform better for new games ???

and is that motherboard a good motherboard ???

Thanks for your help !

Relevancy 49.02%

My stepdad built my current PC several years ago and It is really starting to bug me when I play current games I need to be able to play age of conan without constantly hitting single digit FPS numbers I m running a AMD cpu and a Upgrading suggestions and welcomed PC...advice nividia right now I know I have to replace my mobo cpu video Upgrading PC...advice and suggestions welcomed card mem I don t want top of the line stuff but just stuff up to par that will be able Upgrading PC...advice and suggestions welcomed to play most games pretty well Suggestions I prefer AMD and nvidia Budget around maybe a little more Also I have a watt antec PS would I need to get more wattage if I upgraded And would I need a new case My current case is this I m not sure about cooling with all this new stuff Stuff I m looking at I really have no idea here http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E amp cm re gtx - - - - - -Product And some brand of GB of DDR memory not sure nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

My old Alienware M x needs a need power jack and I m thinking I could use this opportunity to upgrade because I love the palm rest keys and screen Honestly I m just not ready to say goodbye to it yet so I d like to try to breath some new life into it if possible at all I ve seen videos on Youtube of CPU GPU RAM SSD and HDD upgrades for the M x and I m curious upgrading M18x Advice Alienware on about upgrading but I have no experience at all with upgrading components myself Right now my specs are as Advice on upgrading Alienware M18x follows i - QM GB RAM GB HDD GTX M I d definitely like to try upgrading the GPU but I m afraid my CPU will bottleneck a newer GPU If I have to how difficult would it be to upgrade the CPU and what are my options I want to upgrade the RAM and GPU at least I ll probably give it to a laptop repair service for upgrading if I don t feel confident enough to try it myself nbsp

A:Advice on upgrading Alienware M18x

Alienware M18x

That laptop has 4 memory slots and supports up to 32 GB of RAM.
If it has a 64-bit Windows operating system, I would add another 4 GB to the current 4 GB in it.

I don't believe its processor(CPU) and graphics(GPU) are upgradeable, but Dell can confirm that.

------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-on-upgrading-alienware-m18x.1149339/
Relevancy 49.02%

I built a gaming PC about 2 years ago, and while it still plays the games I play just fine, I'm itching to either build a completely new system, or upgrade some of the parts that are lacking. I am on a bit of a budget and would like to only have to buy one or two parts a month if I build a whole new rig. If anyone could take a look at my current setup and tell me which parts definitely need replacing, or if I should build something better that would be awesome. The details are in my profile. If the suggestion is to start from scratch, what is the best order to buy the parts in to make it a little more future proof? It would probably take me about 4-6 months to be able to buy everything depending on prices. Thanks in advance!

A:Advice on building/upgrading a Gaming PC

Here is a few options:

Upgrading the CPU to a FX-8350 would double the processing power.
Upgrading the GPU to a GTX-760 would more than double the graphical power.
If you don't have a power supply greater than 500W's, I'd recommend getting one before upgrading to GTX-760. If you prefer a different card, you can look up the recommended power ratings from AMD or nVidia, for the selected card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-on-building-upgrading-a-gaming-pc.199327/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi, I'm interested in upgrading my cpu,
I currentl have a 2.4gig celeron in an im845g motherboard, I'm not entirely sure what I can upgrade to though, since its a celeron I would expect the motherboard isnt that great but I'd be happy if I could fit just a standard p4 2.4 gig into it. Any help anyone?
Thanks.
Chris

A:Need advice on upgrading celeron chip

It is more then likely a standard i845g motherboard using a sockey-478 interface. You can probably install a 100mhz (400) or even 133mhz (533) Northwood Pentium 4 on it. Northwood parts are being phased out for the Prescott but you can still find them on sites such as Newegg & the likes.

Try getting your hands on a 2.4 or 2.8GHz part, it should give you a nice performance boost for (I hope) a not too big pricetag.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-advice-on-upgrading-celeron-chip.18884/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi Everyone!

I want to upgrade my video card from nvida geforce 210 to NVIDIA 8800gtx or GTS 250...I want to know which whill be better based on my computer specs below:

BOARD : acer f672cr
CPU : intel e4300 (core2duo 1.8ghz)
RAM: 2gb
PowerSuppy: 500W

A:Need advice upgrading video card

Joseph Bryan said:

I want to upgrade my video card from nvida geforce 210 to NVIDIA 8800gtx or GTS 250Click to expand...

A newer card than the 2xx series would serve you better and require less power. Is there no way you could get a GTX 650 or one generation older GTX 550?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-advice-upgrading-video-card.191554/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi I recently get this used computer for US at a yard sale The reason why I got this machine was the Motherboard I friend of mine owns one and I think is a very good choice and for that price I don t think you can get anything better The computer motherboard is an Azus A V X-X I got it with Ghz Athlon XP Processor Mb RAM PC Gb HD Sony x x CD-R amp Mb Nvidia MX Video card For me this going to be my lab testing machine I ve been using it for several months now and I think for being an old computer runs very fast I put some extra memory a Mb DDR Dim and a Mb DDR Dim and another Gb HD I know I shouldn t mix different types on memory on it but works fine I m thinking on putting a Ghz processor and Gbs of RAM cause I want to used Motherboard good old Upgrading advice! need it for lab testing programs like Vmware and Virtual PC My questions is for those who know Upgrading old Motherboard need good advice! this motherboard It s it worth it to upgrade to a faster processor Upgrading old Motherboard need good advice! and add more memory And keep in mind that I got this computer for just US dollars nbsp

A:Upgrading old Motherboard need good advice!

The fastest you can get for that is a Barton 3200+, and you probably can't get that up to 2.8, but at 2.2 it should be plenty fast.

Here is a bit about your board.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-old-motherboard-need-good-advice.65136/
Relevancy 49.02%

I'm planning on getting a new video card, but I'm not sure exactly what will work on my PC, so I have a couple questions. My current card is an ATI 9800 PRO. When I last attempted to install a Nvidia card (I'm not sure of the model) it didn't exactly fit in the case because my hard drive was in the way. Is a newer card typically going to be bigger than what I've got?

Also, is there any way to know for sure if my power supply can handle the new card before I buy it? Finally, does anyone have any good model recommendations? I'm looking to spend about $100-175.

Relevancy 49.02%

I bought a Compaq Presario SR WM from Wal-mart last year for around Since then I ve really gotten into online gaming MMORPG s and while I can play the games on my computer I have to use the lowest graphics settings I want to upgrade my PC to up the resolution and be able to use anti-aliasing without lag While I have learned a lot about software since owning a computer I currently have no experience in hardware upgrades I should also mention that Solved: Need my Gaming advice. PC into Upgrading PC. this computer came with Vista Home but I downgraded to Windows XP which many might consider an upgrade come to think of it I have gone to multiple websites to find instructions on how to upgrade my computer but the only Solved: Upgrading my PC into Gaming PC. Need advice. problem is I have no idea what I should be buying I have all the instructions on how to perform the upgrade but not on the specific hardware I should be buying for my model number Any advice suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated I am including all the specs of my computer that I could find below Product Number KJ AA Processor Athlon LE L GHz MT s Socket AM Cache Memory L Cache kb Chipset GeForce SE nForce Motherboard Asus M N -LA HP Compaq motherboard name Ivy -GL Memory GB currently installed GB Max X GB allowed Speed Supported PC - MB sec Memory Solved: Upgrading my PC into Gaming PC. Need advice. Type pin DDR SDRAM Hard drive GB SATA G Gb sec rpm Modem K bps data fax modem Video Graphics Integrated graphics Sound Audio High Definition -channel audio ALC chipset Network LAN Integrated Base-T networking interface Expansion Slots Available PCI PCI Express X PCI Express x Drive Bays Available of quot and of quot Operating System Win XP Version Service Pack -bit I am planning to upgrade to Windows as soon as I can If there s any additional information I need to provide let me know and I ll get it here A S A P Thanks for any advice and suggestions ahead of time -Jenna- nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

Hello, I am new here. But I noticed the amount of help you guys give to others in need. So I am here with questions on what video card I should get. I am looking for a better video card that can actually play some decent games, such as Orange Box or Counter Strike Source.

Dell Inspiron 531, Model 0RY206
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (2.0GHz)
958MB RAM
NVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce430 281 MB video card
1680x1050 display (32 bit) (60Hz)
2009.4 MHz

My budget is under 100 dollars. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I would like to at least play something good on this computer.

I was looking at these, but I am not sure if they're compatible with my computer.

eVGA e-GeForce 6200 256MB DDR PCI Graphics Card-256-P1-N399-LX

MSI NX8500GT-TD256E GeForce 8500 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

A:Upgrading Video Card, need advice

Anything above and including a 6600/6800GT should run Orange Box just fine. I'm guessing you have at least one available PCI express x16 slot available on your motherboard. If so, I would highly recommend a XFX 8600GT which can be purchased for well under $100. If you want to spend a little more, you could go with a 8800GT. Both cards will give you great performance in Source powered games and future releases. You could also go with a 9 series card, a 9600GT runs from `$120-150.

8600GT:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3048552&CatId=1558

8800GT:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3592056&Sku=P450-8830

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-video-card-need-advice.110652/
Relevancy 49.02%

I am replacing the guts on my computer and would like to keep my current operating system ect Is it possible to backup my hard drive and just reinstall it to the new setup or do I have to start all over and purchase a new Windows OS This is what I have My computer has the following CAS Apevia X-Trooper Junior LED Light Mid-Tower Case w Side Window CD Sony X Double cloning and old advice on Upgrading need drive Layer Dual Format DVD -R -RW CD-R RW Drive BLACK COLOR CD Sony X Double Layer Dual Format DVD -R -RW Upgrading and need advice on cloning old drive CD-R RW Drive BLACK COLOR CPU Intel R Core i - GHz M Intel Smart Cache LGA GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti CS FAN Maximum MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case FAN Asetek LC Liquid Cooling System MM Radiator amp Fan Enhanced Cooling Performance Extreme Silent at dBA Single Standard MM Fan FLASHMEDIA INTERNAL in Flash Media Reader Writer BLACK COLOR HDD GB SATA-III Gb s MB Cache RPM HDD - Single Hard Drive IEEE CARD None KEYBOARD Xtreme Gear Black Color Multimedia Internet USB Keyboard MEMORY GB GBx DDR MHz Triple Channel Memory Module Kingston HyperX MOTHERBOARD -Way SLI Support Asus P X D-E Intel Upgrading and need advice on cloning old drive X Chipset SLI CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR SATA-III RAID w Audio GbLAN IEEE a USB SATA-III RAID Gen PCIe PCIe X amp PCI MOUSE XtremeGear Optical USB Buttons Gaming Mouse MULTIVIEW Non-SLI Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors NCSW None NETWORK Onboard Gigabit LAN Network OS Microsoft R Windows Home Premium -bit Edition OVERCLOCK No Overclocking POWERSUPPLY Watts - XtremeGear SLI CrossFireX Ready Power Supply SOUND HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD AUDIO My upgrade CPU AMD Black Edition FX- -Core Socket AM -Plus W Desktop Processor Heatsink Corsair Hydro Series H Quiet Edition Liquid CPU Cooler CW- -WW MOTHERBOARD ASUS M A FX PRO R AM AMD FX SATA Gb s USB ATX AMD Motherboard MEMORY G SKILL Ripjaws X Series GB x GB -Pin SDRAM DDR PC Desktop Memory F - C Q- GXM GPU EVGA GeForce GTX GB SSC GAMING ACX Whisper Silent Cooling w Free Installed Backplate Graphics Card G-P - -KR HDD Seagate TB Desktop Gaming SSHD Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA Gb s MB Cache -Inch Internal Bare Drive ST DX nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-and-need-advice-on-cloning-old-drive.1169348/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi Techs - I have a computer in my recording studio that was custom built by INTA Audio specifically for Music Production I really need to upgrade it at this point because it s beginning to struggle with some of my programs program updates are putting more strain on it My computer needs to a Advice on audio pc upgrading custom be fast stable and needs to Advice on upgrading a custom audio pc have a fast refresh rate Advice on upgrading a custom audio pc on the graphics The computer is as follows AMD Athlon GHz GB Corsair Advice on upgrading a custom audio pc RAM Radeon Dual Head graphics card GB Sata Program Drive GB Audio Drive Custom Acoustic Silencer Case with high quality W power supply Windows XP Pro SP I would like to keep things like they are with respect to using Windows XP except that I think I d like to upgrade that to -bit in order to take advantage of more RAM I also want to keep my case so I m HOPING that a multi-core upgrade will fit in my current case Can anyone please advise on what motherboard and processor combination to look into and suggest some upgrades pertinent to what I use the computer for Thanks Mannakin nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-on-upgrading-a-custom-audio-pc.953968/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi

I bought a new top of the range PC two years ago and now I would like to upgrade it. The specs are below.

Processor : 2.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 FX-57
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI DELUXE 1.XX
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1013 07/26/2005
RAM : 2048 Megabytes Installed Memory
Graphics : NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX x2 in SLI mode
Sound : Creative SB X-Fi
Maxtor 6L300S0 [Hard drive] (300.08 GB)

I use it for games as well making videos.

What would you advise me to do in terms of processor and graphics card assuming I keep the mother board? Do I also need a new motherboard? Is 2GB of ram still OK, what sort of RAM should I buy. Budget is not a big factor. I am not that tech savy and dont really understand the benefits of dual core or DX10 etc.

Many thanks in advance

Mike

A:Upgrading hardware advice needed

Being you have an FX-57, and that being one really fast processor, your only viable option for an upgrade is the FX-60, its a 2.6Ghz processor that has two cores versus one 2.8Ghz core on the FX-57. And in some cases the FX-60 is slower then the FX-57 due to its slower clock speeds. The 939 socket is no longer being used, it has been replaced by the AM2 and the AM2+ socket which is where all the new processors are being made. This upgrade is hardly worth the cost, there's little to no performance gain in the real world. To get real gains you'd need a new motherboard that supports AM2 or AM2+ processors and go up to the higher clocked dual core X2 5000 and 6000 processors or the quad core Phenom processors. The benefit to multi core processors is that instead of having one core do all the core and switch between task you have 2 or 4 cores available to do the work. The result is that the system is going to run faster and smoother and your taks are going to finish quicker. Many video editing and 3D creation programs benefit greatly from having multiple cores and newer games are also benefiting nicely.

Same goes for the video cards, the 7800 GTX's in SLI are still very fast cards and near the top in performance. Even going to two Geforce 8800 Ultra's in SLI, which are pretty much the best out currently, won't give you enough of a performance boost over the 7800GTX's to make the cost worthwhile. They would give you Directx 10 though, but you need Directx 10 games to play to realize that benefit. Directx 10 can render higher quality and more realistic graphics. For DX10 you need to upgrade to Vista as only Vista supports DX10.

Here's some screenshots of DX9 versus DX10 in Cyrsis: http://webpages.charter.net/bliss/#
And here's some screenshots: http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9550

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-hardware-advice-needed.665632/
Relevancy 49.02%

A friend asked me to upgrade their computer from ME to XP Home. They brought me the program and I am ready to install. I did the upgrade advisor and no errors were reported. I have all of the disks for the friends computer to restore if any problems.

Any hints, advice, I have never done this before. I upgraded an ME to 2000 Prof. but with help from a friend.

Relevancy 49.02%

I have 2 laptops, one with Win 8 and the other with Win 7.
I'm refreshing both and reinstalling a backed up image on both.
After I do this, I want to upgrade to Windows 10.

On both, should I apply various updates first before trying to upgrade to Windows 10?
Having to apply the updates is very very time consuming - the windows system doesnt pick up the updates available immediately enough. Would be great if I could just run the Win 10 update file.

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-upgrading-win-8-and-7-should-i-apply-updates-first.1163603/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi i recently built my own system and at the time i decided to get a cheap graphics card just to get the system card, please Upgrading graphics advice up and running I am now in a position to upgrade to a graphics card that will compliment my system I use the pc for D rendering in programs like DsMAX Vue and Poser Pro These programs rely on cpu and ram more then graphics card abilities but i want to venture into games so a better card may be needed Here is my system spec Windows bit Intel i - Quad-Core Processor GHz MB Cache Socket Gigabyte SKT- X -USB Motherboard OCZ GB X GB DDR MHz Upgrading graphics card, advice please PC - Gold XTC Triple Channel x Samsung F HD SJ TB internal Hard Drive SATAII MB Cache RPM Coolermaster Silent Pro W Modular PSU HannsG HZ HPB -inch LCD TFT Monitor HD x connected via a HDMI cable and Gigabyte GT GB GDDR DVI HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card Also running off the PSU are a simple card reader and Samsumg DVD optical drive Depending on what Graphics card you suggest i also want to upgrade the optical drive to a blu-ray like this one Samsung SH-B L x BD-ROM DVD RW DL amp RAM Lightscribe SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black So i guess my limiting factor here is my PSU but i can only afford what the PSU can handle as i dont really want to get into changing that too Thanks for any advice offered regards Lee nbsp

A:Upgrading graphics card, advice please

If its mainly 3D work, I'm wondering if a dedicated GPU for that sort of stuff would be a wiser move. I have absolutely no knowledge in this area though.

In terms of normal GPU's, you might be able to get away with a HD6870 or even a HD6950 as long as you are not overclocking anything.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-graphics-card-advice-please.169316/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi people, I'm not too familiar with win2000 and I have a quick question. Our RAS server is on NT4.0 and I want to upgrade to 2000.
Now, is the 2000 upgrade as easy as putting in the cd and following the steps?
What I mean is, if I do that, will all the current settings for RAS be retained?
Any input would be fab.
Thanks,
Jeremy

A:{Advice Offered} - Upgrading 4.0 w/RAS to 2000

Greetings

Simple M$ answer: Yes.

More complicated Real-Life answer: Probably, test first.

What I mean is this: Win2K can upgrade Win95, Win98 and WinNT machines. All setting should be retained. It should be simple. However, ANY Operating system upgrade is a daunting task (even patching the kernel in Linux can have horrible repercusions).

So, my suggestion to you is this: Get a spare PC. Install NT 4 onto it. Install each service pack as it was installed on your RAS Server. Install all the programs and services that is on your RAS server. Then upgrade this test server to Win2K. if everything works, then upgradecyour real server.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-upgrading-4-0-w-ras-to-2000.28770/