Windows Support Forum

Please help on local networking

Q: Please help on local networking

Please help on local networking on local area lan networking
with picture please help me thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Please help on local networking

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Please help on local networking

What operating systems are running on the computers you are trying to connect?

And, on each computer, are you running Windows firewall or do you have another firewall product installed?
Relevancy 26.23%

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

A:Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....
Relevancy 25.37%

Printer Problems in Windows XP sp3
Dell Personal Printer all in one A940
After trying to speed up an older computer running Windows XP
I may have cut off the Print Spooler (or it was already off ?)
I went back to Services dialog box & selected Print Spooler
I clicked the "Start" link at left of service list & got a message tgat said
"could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start."
Printer is still not working can anyone help?

A:Could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068

On Win/7 the dependencies are

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
DCOM Server Process Launcher
RPC Endpoint Mapper
Manually start each on and set to AUTOSTART as you go.
If one fails, then that is the root problem.
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello all,

I'm reading this ( networking book.
The exercise no 13 of chapter one says:

P13. (a) Suppose N packets arrive simultaneously to a link at which no packets are currently being transmitted or queued. Each packet is of length L and the link has transmission rate R. What is the average queuing delay for the N packets?

(b) Now suppose that N such packets arrive to the link every LN/R seconds. What is the average queuing delay of a packet?

I've obtained these for (a) and (b):

(a): (N-1)/2 L/R sec.
(b): For nth LN/R: [n(N-1)-2(n-1)]/2 L/R sec.

1- Are these answers correct?
2- Is here a correct place for posting such problems?

A:Computer networking exercises

My my; Network theory. Not to dampen your efforts, but unless there's a switch, knob, or parameter that can alter the outcome, there's little practical use of this kind of information IMO.

As an example of a practical issue, the SACKOPTS paramater greatly improves TCP performance.
Relevancy 26.66%

So I realize that this is my computer telling me that it is not getting a connection to the internet So here is a basic diagram of my setup ISP---- gt Cable Modem----- gt New Splitter---------- gt Asus wifi router working --------- gt Desktop IP also connected to wifi My ISP is Charter Com via a Cable Modem From there I go into a TRENDnet ethernet switch splitter From there I have cable that goes to my desktop one cable to goes Area Local Connection to the upper floor to the wifi router Asus RT-N U The router is working fine and I am currently connected to it I have replaced the TRENDnet Switch every ethernet cable except to Asus wifi router This is where it gets stupid I can disconnect the TRENDnet switch and plug in my Desktop with the IP and it works I have researched this topic via forums for the past month and a half and now after fresh installing windows would like to try and get some input of what other might think is going on I am out of options I Local Area Connection had this setup for quite some time with wired and wifi Local Area Connection but just all of a sudden about - months ago after moving my desk and plugging it all in again it stopped working Here is a text format of Ipconfig of my LAC Configuration for interface quot Local Area Connection quot DHCP enabled Yes IP Address xxx xxx Subnet Prefix xx mask InterfaceMetric DNS servers configured through DHCP None Register with which suffix Primary only WINS servers configured through DHCP None As I said I am now running a fresh install of windows with no Bonjour program on it I have released renewed and about other CMD commands that I could think of The internet options for this adapter are set to obtain automatically I have ran about every malware program I can think of So any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Local Area Connection

Hmm why the splitter BEFORE the router - - that's not the correct way to add a second router

isp==primary router --- existing PC
to add a second router:

isp==primary router --- existing PC
+--- new router
Relevancy 24.94%

So I now realized that disabling the Teredo Tunneling service/adapter in Device Manager might have been a bad mistake. Had some scary moments where I was not sure if my computer wasn't accepting the new connection, or my wireless USB adapter was dying.

I enabled 6to4 I believe, and IPv6 through a step I found here:

Though I'm noticing that the adapter for the Teredo Tunneling Service still says it won't start. (Error 10) and whenever I try to update the drivers it says they are up to date.

So I'm not sure if checking my registry (my current step I am on) will fix the Tunneling service and help stabilize my PCs connection, or if it's going to patch one thing but leave this service dangling by a thread not doing anything.

Any advice and maintenance tips would be very appreciated! Still trying to get this working so I can take some online IT courses.

A:IPv6, 6to4, and Other Networking Issues

Update: I followed the rest of the steps and updated the registry to allow IPv6. From there things seemed more stable but when I check the network status after the net going down it says IPv6 doesn't connect. When I tried troubleshooting (the auto troubleshooting function of Win7) I got a BSOD:

the other photo is blurry, but later I can try and upload a photo via photobucket for anyone to check out. As per a google search on what the BSOD is, I found it stopped 4-5 services and shut down. (really long hex codes.)

one sort of looks like: 0xFFFFF0200220550F, but the quality isn't that great, and I have no idea if that's accurate.

I'll check my dump file I copy-pasted and post later. Any advice and help would be appreciated!
Relevancy 25.37%

My home suffered a lightening strike which took out many of my electronics and a Lego Hobbit house. Living out in an area with limited options for internet call for some creative solutions. I am currently running a Verizon 4g jetpack(pentach 291L) tethered to a Cradlepoint MBR95 via usb. The Cradlepoint is then wired via ethernet to my network which includes an additional router. I am pulling the wifi signal from the jetpack, but I am not able to use the cradlepoint to access internet. (this being the first problem.) I've had some failure in syncing these devices, but I can't seem to see it. Is anyone familiar with this kind of a setup?
Relevancy 25.37%

New laptop Whenever I try to map network a windows drive in my laptop to windows laptop I get the following error that the spelling may not be correct but this is not true Can t find quot computer c quot May be spelling I have checked Win 8.1 Win between and 7 Networking errors the spelling finding no problems and I have opened all Networking errors between Win 8.1 and Win 7 folders for sharing and security is set the same way reading and writing as Networking errors between Win 8.1 and Win 7 when I network windows drives to other windows drives I always use the correct password if requested I have no problem between win drives What am I missing I don t have the same problem going from to windows Under homegroup files seem to be recognized For many years including XP days Networking errors between Win 8.1 and Win 7 I have been coping and transferring files and folders from one computer disk on computer X to another disk on a different computer called computer Y I could copy in both directions but I had to set up each drive separately I used map network drive icon Map as drive quot found when I opened Computer icon After setting in property the sharing and security settings a certain way I could copy back and forth Each computer was given a name such as C- C and Computer All I am saying is that in one direction of copying I can copy but in the other direction I get a possible spelling error Of course there is no spelling error I know that Windows is somewhat different from Windows Both use a name found under User folder and both use a password The computer name is most obvious and is different from the name found under User folder So what seems to be the problem Should be simple enough Jim nbsp

A:Networking errors between Win 8.1 and Win 7

You need ports 137-139 opened on both systems for names to resolve.

Get the IP address of both systems and then access using the IP of the target. If that works, it is a name resolution issue.
Relevancy 24.08%

So... like most of world my family lives online. Having found that ISP pricing in Alaska is horrendously expensive, I want to find a solution that I can create 4 SSIDs, one for each of my three kids (ages 12, 14, &16) and one for me and my wife, and place a data cap on each SSID so that I can't be hit up with the bills that come with overages. I figure with individual SSIDs they can use what ever device they have with out having to detirmine MAC addresses or IPs used or any of that other stuff.

I would like to have just one router be able to accomplish this. I have an older router, an Apple Time Capsule I bought about 6 years ago, but as I don't use Macintosh computers any more, I would be happy to buy a new router and get it set up to manage this dilema.

Any Advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 24.94%

Hi - I m new here but looking for some guidance I have been grappling with this issue for a while without success I have effectively two home networks Downstairs I have a broadband line in to a wireless router which is accessed by various portable devices games consoles and has two LAN ports which are occupied by Wireless query networking an NAS and a link Wireless networking query to my cable TV box required Upstairs I have three PCs networked together on a wired network For historic reasons I used the default IP addresses assigned by the wired router which are different from the IP address range assigned by the broadband wireless router I have to disable the LAN connection and plug in a USB wifi dongle if I want any of the upstairs machines to go online I am trying to integrate the two networks without having to run a cable between the two routers for various domestic reasons it is difficult plus I would have to get a separate switch to be able to accommodate the storage TV box currently required to be plugged in downstairs I have a wireless router which says it can be used as an access point and have swapped that in for the upstairs router disabling the DHCP server and setting it as an access point But it still will not connect to the downstairs router Does anyone have any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong alternative approaches or somewhere to look for more detailed information on the subject Many thanks nbsp

A:Wireless networking query

Look for an EoP adaptor like this. One attaches to the broadband end via a RJ45 cable and the other end is upstairs and goes into that router in a LAN slot (not the Wan uplink).
I have a long ranch style home and the signal would have to traverse several walls to get to the other end of the home. The Netgear provides high speed and reliability to the entertainment room for me.
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi guys,

What book is your suggestion about computer networks/networking? I'm going to read the best book of that topic. I want to read one that is theoretical and also practical to prepare me to be able to go on real world's computer networks/networking.

A:Suggest the best book about computer networks/networking

I know nothing about that, but if I did want to learn, I'd start right here in TS by asking questions.
Sure, you can read a book on it, but what happens if you have a question? Are you going to contact the author?
Just my opinion. Good luck.
Relevancy 24.51%

My media sharing option constantly keeps turning off by itself even after I have reset it to share my media on all networked (4) computers and even while watching movies from another computer on my network, I have also enabled media sharing thru Windows media player and it still cuts itself off! can anyone help with this issue??

A:Networking: Media Sharing option turns off

Which version of Windows do you have? Make sure services for media share are enabled.
You might have to

press start key + r at the same time then type: services.msc

Computer Browser (started/manual)

DHCP Client (started/auto)
DNS Client (started/auto)

Function Discovery Resource Publication (started/auto)

start/auto/enable Homegroup Listener
start/auto/enable Homegroup Provider

Network Connections (started/manual)
Network List Service (started/manual)

Peer Name Resolution Protocol (started/manual)
Peer Networking Grouping (started/manual)
Peer Networking Identity Manager (started/manual)

SSDP Discovery (started/manual)

Also check on your system for software that is disabling sharing just our right like cleaners all-in-one does it because in theory suppose to reduce over head.
Relevancy 26.23%

Have a new Netgear wireless router and can connect to it, but can only get local access only, no internet.
Tried a few things with no luck so far.
The one thing that did work was eliminating the wireless security, but dont want to leave it that way.
Seems like this is a common problem with Vista.

Can anyone help?

A:Local Access Only With Wireless Using Windows Vista

Go to the Device Mgr, expand Network Adapters and look for yellow or red flags. It's most likely that the driver is missing or needs to be updated.

If there's any driver at all, then the led lights near the ethernet cable will be on.

Uninstall the existing driver (but do not delete it) and reboot.
The system should find the device and use the autoconfig feature to install the
correct one.
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi In my home office I have the Optimum Cable Modem that is connected to Vonage Phone VioP which is then connected to Belkin Wireless Router s WAN port At Belkin Wireless Router s LAN port I have my network printer connected and connection to my port netgear switch Netgear switch has connection from Belkin Wireless Router at port and Port through are connected to in wall patch panel that provides wired connection to all bedroom in the house Since bedrooms are on the other side of the house Belkin Wireless Router and Wired Wireless at networking home signal does not reach them So I set up another wireless router Tenda in my bedroom I Wired and Wireless networking at home believe I have Wired and Wireless networking at home set up the second wireless router correctly as I have connected the wall cat e cable to LAN of the Tenda Router configured it for static ip and disabled its DHCP I have also made sure that Belkin router only starts IP from I have two diff SSID name for Belkin and Tenda I can successfully connect wirelessly to Tenda for may be a day or so But then it stops working I can connect another cat e to Tenda s LAN port and connect to my laptop and it will work but wireless will not Restarting Tenda does not help I have to walk to my home office on the other side of the house and restart Belkin to have wireless in my room work again What am I doing wrong As per the load on the router we have phones in the house that connects wirelessly to Belkin all the rooms have computers that are directly connected We have Roku Xbox Google TV Box and Smart TV that connects wirelessly to Belkin nbsp

A:Wired and Wireless networking at home

For multiple routers, only the router connected to the modem has a wire in the WAN slot. For all others, connect to any LAN slot and leave the WAN slot empty.

Only the first router should have DHCP active.

All devices regardless of the connection type (wired vs wifi) or the device to which they connect (RouterA, RouterB, Switch1) will then have DHCP addresses on the subnet of routerA.

The static address will be immaterial but can still be accesses to control WiFi setups.

Suggest one wifi router be set to channel X and the other to any other channel than X.
Relevancy 24.94%

Everything on the network was set up fine with sharing between all the computers and it seemed like as time went on the windows computer encountered more and more problems One of the xp computers suddenly required a password to access the windows computer Windows suddenly couldn t access any of the other computers but you could still push files to it from the other ones But now I cant push any files to the windows computer or Between other Networking computers Error Windows and 8 all access any of the windows or xp computers files from the windows comp I get an error message saying Network Error Windows cannot access insertnamehere insertdrivehere You do not have permission to access insertnamehere insertdrivehere Contact your network administrator to request access I get this error message through both windows and and xp Networking Error Between Windows 8 and all other computers gives a cannot access error But I can see the drives I wish to access and the computers themselves I just cannot get into the drives even though all my permissions seem to be set properly If anyone can help it would be appreciated nbsp

A:Networking Error Between Windows 8 and all other computers

First it is a big time security hole to allow shared access directly to a drive

Windows cannot access \\insertnamehere\insertdrivehereClick to expand...

Sharing should be to a directory such as

\\systemName\publicFolder or
Sharing has two major components:

network access to the \\systemName
NTFS access to the specific sharedFolderName
Hopefully your XP is SP3 which has the LLTP service necessary for Win/{7&8}. If you have XP SP1 or 2, then find the LLTP update for it.

Before we go crazy, you mentioned

any of the other computersClick to expand...

so verify that all the other systems can share with each other (ie ignore Win/8) in both directions A can share with B and conversely. This will ensure the systems are configured correctly AND that the firewall is not a problem.
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi all Hi I was trying to setup a three computer to share file without using windows homegroup and without needing a username and password to connect the PCs together PC running windows running windows XP PCs setup I have files on one of the windows PC that I have set of sharing and have connected both of the other PCs but I need to connected to the files I need the admin username and password before I can connect to them this is what I am trying to solve Here is my advanced sharing settings setup Windows networking 7 issues home or work network discovery - ON file and print sharing - ON public folder sharing - ON file sharing connections - - bit encryption this is for the windows XP PC password protection sharing - OFF HomeGroup connection - recommend Public network discovery - ON file and print sharing - ON public folder sharing - ON file sharing connections - - bit encryption this is for Windows 7 networking issues the windows XP PC password protection sharing - OFF And also set it up so that everyone can has access on the share and advanced sharing but I still asks me every time I try to access a Windows 7 networking issues file on for the admin username and password Have I set it up wrong or is there something that im missing Thanks for reading my post Sean nbsp

A:Windows 7 networking issues

Well, I'm on Win/7 Pro 64bit and do not use Homegroup to access my iMac, Win98se file server or 2 variations of Linux.

* 1) of course, all must be in the same WORKGROUP
* 2) XP/Pro SP2 has the LLTP service, but XP/SP1 needs to add it
* 3) There are two forms of sharing:
(a) Public anonymous​(b) Per User Sharing​Normal Simple File sharing will create (B) style and the remote will need the user/password for the directory being accessed.

Style (a) needs a special setup to access \\systemName\PublicShares shown here

However, I use style (b) to control who has access to what - - ie: if they don't know the user/password, then NUTS to them - - I can't trust'm.
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi Guys I am now working for a company that has implemented a function in there machines Printer copier wizards.. This for advanced networking/proxy question is an MFDs The function is explained in the next paragraph Basically many companies hire these machines and what we have implemented is an automated billing meter that This is an advanced question for networking/proxy wizards.. is required to talk out of the clients network and back to our billing team in some cases the clients use a proxy server There is a problem when I am talking to the customers trying to gather the network details so that our technician will be able to go onsite and enable this feature on the machine If someone on here can solve this problem I am about to mention They are GENIUS because I have talked to people that really know what they are doing and so far I have got an answer Here is the problem when I talk to the IT guys sometimes or actually of the time they are not the guy who actually set up the network and it can be a real pain to retrieve information even if they have full admin rights on there network I need to know what Proxy authentication scheme the customer is using whether it be basic NTLM digest etc Is there any free detection tools I can use or maybe there is a way I can guide them to the place in windows where they can get this information for me I was just thinking is there something in the registry that tells me this information Please if anyone has the answer they true champions and I really will appreciate it Regards AR nbsp

A:This is an advanced question for networking/proxy wizards..

I need to know what Proxy authentication scheme the customer is usingClick to expand...

Puzzled here. Authentication is logging into a secured connection, so what is the user logging into?
Relevancy 24.94%

I have a HP Laserjet 4000n PCL6 that is connected to a windows XP in a virtual setting on the domain network. I believe it has a static IP address (because it doesn't have the typical 192.168.100...) number. When I try to add the printer to the local environment in windows 7, I go to the control panel, add a printer, I choose network the printer or a printer attached to another computer, it shows the printer name, and then I choose connect to this printer, but it says I'm missing the .inf file. Anyone know how I can get this working on the windows 7 side?

A:Networking a printer on a domain

.inf file contains the driver information. In the settings on the XP, you can go into printer sharing settings. Maybe you can enable 'hold additional driver files for download' or something. I don't know, I do this via Server 2008 R2 (no idea why you aren't either).
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi there I am new to this forum though I have went through a couple of threads regarding VPN but I can t seem to find my answer through printing VPN Local I work in an IT department and have to users which are not on the business domain To make use of a program hosted on our server they connect via VPN to out network and then join a remote desktop Both of them make use of a network printer Now one of them has a PC with Win and the other one with XP When they connect to the VPN though only the user on the Win PC is allowed to print the other user Local printing through VPN s job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints Both user Local printing through VPN s VPN permissions are the same as I asked the network admin and the printer settings should be the same on both PCs as I checked them Help would be greatly appreciated as I have been working on this for a very long time with no avail Thanks nbsp

A:Local printing through VPN

the other user's job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints.Click to expand...

Wow, is that strange or what (but that's why your here too I guess). The fact that it is queued says the data path from the user->system->print queue is just fine - - and that says permissions are ok. I suspect that the users program is not closing the output file. Have the user try a simple test using NOTEPAD printing to the remote printer.

Next I would look for software updates to the XP VPN software and then to XP print driver for that device.
Relevancy 25.37%

Still I am using Cat5e Plenum 350MHZ in my office ....
Can you suggest me which cable is best for high networking system???

A:What is the best cable for networking?

Cat6 is a better cable than Cat5/Cat5e.
Relevancy 24.51%

I have been driving myself crazy with this issue My main computer out of quot quot cannot bring up the Home Group password to view or leave it nor change the password I have been researching this problem for about a month and know one seems to know how to go about fixing it I tried Microsoft Fix-it with no success and it keeps sending me back to the fix-it download page So I m bring this problem to you guys Now the Peer Networking Grouping controls the features in home group that allow you to see the other systems on your network and also depends on two other services to start the problem is is that I can t and windows can t seem to start them all at the same time or however they are suppose to start it seems to be a catch situation one can t start with out the other and vice-versa Is there anyone who has ever heard of this and tell me how Peer service restarting Networking not Grouping to repair this issue all help would be completely appreciated Page of Windows Peer Networking Grouping service not restarting Network Diagnostics Issues Peer Networking Grouping service not restarting found Either the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service PNRPsvc Enable the services needed for Peer-to-Peer Grouping Not fixed Failed Issues found Either the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service Not fixed PNRPsvc or the Peer Networking Identity Manager service p pimsvc is not running The Peer Networking Grouping service p psvc depends on both these services in order to function properly Enable the services needed for Peer-to-Peer Grouping Failed Network Diagnostics Log File Name ABE - A - A- BED- F Repair Admin etl Detection details Network Diagnostics Log File Name ABE - A - A- BED- F Diagnose Admin etl Other Networking Configuration and Logs File Name NetworkConfiquration cab Collection information Computer Name Windows Version Architecture Time PAULWADE-PC x Wednesday May AM Publisher details Windows Network Diagnostics Detects problems with network connectivity Package Version Publisher Microsoft Windows file IIIC lUserslPaul Wade AppDataiLocallElevatedDiagnostics This is the results from Microsoft Fix-it My Specs are MSI-MS- AMD Athlon X Dual Core Processor GHz Gb Kingston HyperX DDR- ram a GB TB HHD Galaxy GeForce GT DDR MB video card Corsair TX PSU nbsp

A:Peer Networking Grouping service not restarting

So I did some more research and found out to repair Peer Networking Grouping svc and how to also restart my HomeGroup that I also had problems with!
Relevancy 24.94%

I am using a VPN to connect to the internet. Attached is a screen shot of the results of a network diagnosis I did on my computer. Could you please tell me what the high lighted items mean, and what I can do to rectify them.

Please check the rest of the items too, and advice me.

A:What is wrong with the networking of my computer

Yeahhhh.. you need Internet to use a VPN. Give us more info.
Relevancy 26.23%

My iOmega TB External hard drive stopped working after it was accidentally unplugged I googled the problem amp found the exact thread here for my problem When plugged in instead of being identified by it s name as before it s listed as Local disc F First I tried disabling write caching to no avail so I followed HDD disk shows as it local & F cannot be accessed External the instructions I found here to External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed the same problem started by fish in Aug Mark replied several times giving good instructions which I have followed but my problem isn t solved I downloaded Sea Tools for Windows amp ran both Short amp Long tests which both failed The hard drive when dismantled is a Seagate Barracuda TB amp my PC is Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pk The HDD has much loved photo s of my kids amp tons of video amp music too is there any way to retrieve it now or is it a hopeless case Any help would be very much appreciated I think maybe if possible to get any data now I would have to take it to proffessionals but don t want to get ripped off if the drive is totally broken Thanx so much if u can help all nbsp

A:External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed

You could try going into disk management and deleting F: drive, while the External HDD is unplugged, then try reconnecting - OS might have just assigned the drive incorrectly?
Also strongly recommend updating to SP2 if possible (probably not connected to this issue though).
Hope this helps.
Relevancy 24.94%

Can anyone please answer a question about using Homeplug powerline networking devices such as this:

Netgear 1-port Powerline Adapter Kit

1. Does this act as a switch or does it create a new network like a router would?
2. Can multiple computers connect to a single source adapter?

I have a server that needs file sharing to other computers, not just port 80. Can I plug one of these into my existing router and the workstations into other Homeplug adapters and still access files on the server?

A:Powerline networking question

I played around with powerline ethernet at one point. here's what i can tell you

> Think of the powerline connection as tho it were an ethernet extension cord. It's like running a longer ethernet cable

> I did do some benchmarking and the speed over powerline was slower then if it were truly a simple cable extension

> Depending on how your house electrical is wired, it IS possible powerline ethernet won't work (no connection can be made between the two outlets) so i'd advise buying from a brick and mortar store, or at least somewhere where you can return easily if any problem or not works the way you want
Relevancy 27.09%

So I just set up FreeNAS on my LAN. I have a Linksys router.... I believe everything is 10/100 but for some reason its transfering at about 8.61MB/s.

Now before I start posting all my equipment specs, would anyone know right off the bat what my bottleneck is, or give me a clue how to figure this out? I'm apparently not thinking properly enough to figure this out at the moment.

BTW, everything plugged in... so I'm not transfering wirelessly.

A:What's my local NAS bottleneck?

You're transferring at almost 70 mbit - your network is probably your bottleneck. Are you sure there is no additional activity on your network? You should be able to reach between 80-90 if nothing else is going on and the rest of the environment is lean. If everything is working absolutely great I would say you can even reach mid to upper 90's. See if the system sending files has plenty of CPU cycles available by opening your task manager. Also, are you transferring lots of small files or one big file? Larger files will transfer faster than a bunch of tiny ones. At most you can expect a file transfer speed of about 12 MB/sec on a 100 mbit network.
Relevancy 25.37%

I am new to networking. We have a small network in our office. We received had to replace our a few old computer with xp. Windows 7 is our new computer. Everything seems to be working great with file sharing. Our main computer that everyone works off recently became not accessible to certain computers with XP. We switched to TrendMicro with the new computers. Our old computers used Panda, and we do not have access to the firewall. I uninstalled one of the xp computers with TrendMicro; however, that didn't work. It pops open a window stating the computer is not accessible. Please contact administrator. Everyone is networked to the same "WORKGROUP." When the main computer is shut down and restarted, everyone can use it for a short period of time. Any advice?

A:Networking new computers

jenclayton said:

I am new to networking. We have a small network in our office. We received had to replace our a few old computer with xp.
Windows 7 is our new computer. Everything seems to be working great with file sharing. Our main computer that everyone works off recently became not accessible to certain computers with XP.Click to expand...

XP needs the LTDR (responder) installed and made active; see

We switched to TrendMicro with the new computers.
Our old computers used Panda, and we do not have access to the firewall.Click to expand...

hmm; someone *MUST* get control of the FW on all systems - - usually the admin account. While working on the symptoms reported here, DISABLE your TrendMicro, Panda, and all other such tools

I uninstalled one of the xp computers with TrendMicro; however, that didn't work. It pops open a window stating the computer is not accessible. Please contact administrator. Everyone is networked to the same "WORKGROUP." When the main computer is shut down and restarted, everyone can use it for a short period of time. Any advice?Click to expand...

All Windows 7 system need to be declared as a WORK network and enable Simple Print/File Sharing.

The XP system will need the same Simple Print/File Sharing.

ALL systems will need the firewall to enable Simple Print/File Sharing

The TCP setup is correct when every system can ping every other system using the IP address.

The File Sharing is correct when all systems can map a common drive (whichever you are using for shared documents) and map+open the Shared Folder.

Now once this works, you can take ONE XP & ONE Windows 7 system and enable your Antivirus software. If you start to see problems again, then it is in the Antivirus.
Relevancy 25.37%

Alright, I am currently connected through my Apartment Complex's internet and everything was running smoothly when today a window appeared upon log-in that asked me to "Choose a Network" So I chose public, as what is suggested by my Apartment. Well now, in my Ctrl+Alt+Del menu under Networking my Apartment's internet is running at 0.00% and will not move, while the new "public network" is cruising at 70-90%. Normal internet browsing runs fine, no lag whatsoever, but the second I try to play any online video game my latency goes through the roof (up to 550k ms before disconnect). When I try to turn off the public network and simply rely on my apt. internet I have 0 connection anywhere. Is there anything else I can try that will fix my problem?

A:Networking issues

use PUBLIC only when you are at a hotspot.

delete that connection and recreate it and chose PRIVATE instead.

Now go to the Firewall, and DISABLE file/print sharing (only because it is a large complex of untrusted users). Normally, you would enable this if it was your own router and your own systems.

Your gaming may be an issue as frequently games require specific ports, say for steam and with this setup, enabling port forwarding for you will deny it for all others.
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey I ve got a Dual Xeon Dell Precision T Workstation running Windows x that I use for graphic design and some music production I have up until last week used a M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio Interface for recording as well as my primary sound card I decided to get rid of the Fast Track and upgrade to an M-Audio Audiophile PCI sound card Here is my issue- With the Fast Track USB Interface I have always network local when performing only PC downloads Static in sound, had a noticeable Static in PC sound, only when performing local network downloads static popping sound when any audio is playing while I am transferring files on my local network- but I have isolated it specifically to copying files from anywhere on my local network to this PC- so only downloading to this computer I didn t pay much attention to it as I thought that was the price that was to be payed because of using a USB sound card After I installed the Audiophile I am still getting this popping sound on network downloads Just to test I pulled out the Audiophile enabled the on-board sound card and the popping was still there with the on-board sound card Any idea what could be causing this My network adapter is the Broadcom on-board Gigabit LAN card The only other PCI or PCI-e cards I have installed are the Nvidia Quadro Video Adapter and a SIIG USB PCI Card I have taken this out and the popping is still there All of PCI bus components were different when I started hearing the popping from the Fast Track Pro so I don t suspect that any of those items would be the culprit When the popping first started nothing was even in the PCI PCI-e bus except for my old Quadro video card which I took out months ago and swapped for the Quadro I guess what I m trying to say is that most of the components have been removed or swapped and the sound continues I have the onboard sound card disabled normally so I know that also isn t causing it To describe the popping static it doesn t make the noise until I m downloading something and there is a system noise playing or I have some other audio going YouTube Video MP played locally whatever So if I was to download a file locally and not play any sounds then you would never know that anything was happening The speakers I m using are KRK Rokit Active Studio Monitors so even if there was any background static I would hear it These monitors are connected to the computer via a Balanced TRS input so I don t even have any normal line quot hum quot at high volumes- so that is how I can tell there is absolutely no static or popping until the PC plays it s own audio Also- I ve tried reproducing the problem by playing audio and downloading a file from the internet It won t produce the popping sound at all Here is my system info Dell Precision T Workstation Windows x Ultimate Service Pack Intel Xeon CPU E GHz amp GHz Processors Intel x Motherboard Intel ICH R Family Controllers I O Hub PCI Express Root Storage GB RAM Nvidia Quadro M-Audio Delta Audiophile Broadcom NetXtreme xx Gigabit Controller That s everything I have hooked up right now- anymore questions and I ll be glad to post what I know I m hoping that this is something common that I just couldn t find in my searches on google Any help advice you could offer I would appreciate it One last thing- I uninstalled and updated all of my system drivers days ago to see if that would stop the problem It didn t change anything Thanks -Ben nbsp

A:Static in PC sound, only when performing local network downloads

Did you uninstall your old sound drivers? Are you using ASIO drivers? Im assuming the M-Audio card already has ASIO built-in? Do you get the pop/static when using the onboard sound? You should stick to XP for music production. Even a dual boot WIN 7/XP setup. Im into music production as well and all of my problems stopped when I ran everything on XP. You can try using virtual XP on Win 7 and see if it helps anything. What DAW are you using?
Relevancy 26.66%

I just upgraded to Win7. In this PC I have 2 HDD, one C drive which works fin, and one additional HDD which I'm able to see in BIOS and Device Manager, but it do not show up in Explorer.
How to get it visible?

A:Can't find local installed HDD

Right click my computer > manage, click disk management take a screenshot, post here.
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey guys My internet provider has just recently been switched to Time Warner Cable They came by and hooked everything up to my desktop and my internet worked for that day The next day I had to call technical support and road runner services because my computer says I m connected but I m not sending nor receiving area Missing network connection and local controller any packets Road Runner took me through Device Manager where I noticed a big yellow question mark near Other Devices Network Controller Also after going through my Network Connections there s no Local Area Connection listed The techs responded that they couldn t help me unless I fixed my computer software I have already tried going through Computer Management and checking Plug And Play Services amp RPC Missing network controller and local area connection Services Any other suggestions are much appreciated I m currently working off of my laptop because I can t get online with my desktop Any requested information would just Missing network controller and local area connection be done by my usb flash Missing network controller and local area connection drive Thank you so much for your time nbsp

A:Missing network controller and local area connection

Open device manager. Uninstall those device with ? on them. Reinstall drivers for your network adapter.

What devices are listed under network adapter?
Relevancy 25.37%

I'm trying to network a Dell 1130n USB printer with 2 PC's running windows XP Pro & 1 windows 7 PC. I have the printer connected to the PC that is running windows 7. I changed all the PC's name to workgroup. I'm guessing where I get getting stuck at is when I go to printer properties, add "additional drivers...", try to add another processor, it gives me a window that says "Please provide a printer driver. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK." Then it gives me a drop down box to "copy files from: " Where do I get the ".inf" file that its looking for and what is it called? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Happy Thanksgiving all!

A:Networking a printer

same place where you installed the Printer in the first place - - the CD.
Relevancy 33.97%

I once ran across a simple UI item that allowed me to change LOCAL CONNECTION 2 to LOCAL CONNECTION.

RESOLVED. Open Network and Sharing Center. Click on the icon for the active connection. Change THAT name.
Relevancy 26.66%

In our network we have many remote sites. We are currently all WinXP Pro but are starting to transition to Windows 7 (64-bit) when we cycle PCs out.

We have been using RealVNC for years instead of RDP because RealVNC allows shared control of the PC between you and the local user (ie: "Show me what you are talking about"). I've tried Tight (which leaves lots remnants after uninstalling), Real (simply does not work unless you buy the Enterprise version, for ~800 computers that just isn't going to work) and Ultra (works, but randomly resets its options and closes down once you log out of a profile).

Is there a way to allow shared control during RDP? If not, is there another VNC-ish program I can try (freeware) that's as reliable as RealVNC has been under XP?
Relevancy 25.37%

i have a server, a monitor, a laptop, cables and connectors and a copy of microsoft server 2008. can someone help me or guide me where to look to learn how to connect all of this together and set up the old laptop for a new user?

thank you,

A:Networking setup

Windows Server 2008 Step-by-Step Guides For Microsoft
Windows Server 2008 Tutorial from
networking Articles & Tutorials for Windows Server 2008 from
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi, I have a problem networking 2 computers via a crossover cable connection both running Windows 7. I know it is not a hardware problem as I can network the same computers from different drives running XP. When I network via XP I manually assign IP numbers on TCP/IP to avoid conflicts and I can then share folders and internet connection. On Windows 7, I have tried both automatically assigning and manually assigning IPv4 but cannot either share folders nor share internet connection. Any ideas?

A:Windows 7 crossover cable networking problem

Sharing folders and internet connections are two completely different things.

Other than the need to have compatible IP settings, you need to check the workgroup name, enable file and print sharing, firewall settings. As a test, try to ping one computer from the other. If that does not work I would look at the firewall on the Windows 7 machine. disable it if needed just to see if that is what it is. Once you can ping you can rule out any connectivity problems and look at Windows settings.
Relevancy 18.49%

Im having some isses neworking my XP Laptop to another Windows 7 Laptop using a wireless network. As i am away from home i do not have access to a network cable.

As my Laptop is networked to the computer at home i used the same method to try and Network it with the Windows 7 Laptop.

I ran the wiresless netowkr setup wizard on the latop saved the settings to a USB flash drive and then ran the wizard from the USB drive on the Windows 7 Laptop. However despite doing this the windows 7 Laptop does not see to pick up the XP Laptop. The Window 7 Laptop is part of its ome group but i dont know if i should "leave" the home group or not.

Windows XP Professional SP3
Windows 7 Home Premium
I do NOT have a router available (is this my issues?)

Im abit new to networking XP & 7 so any help appreciated.

Relevancy 24.94%

Alright I have a whole bunch of my music and videos on my external hard drive and I got a new Dell XPS yesterday I had been using my external hard drive just fine for the past - yeas now with different laptops working fine I plugged it yesterday to transfer all my music to my new computer and it seemed to be working fine There was an error as the copy rate External Local -- won't open Disk as only working, shows drive hard stopped up slowwed so I decided to delete and try again I did that about times and then decided to just copy the music album by album Eventually I don External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open t know how it ended up happening instead of the Hard Drive coming up as Seagate on the My Computer Tab it started showing up as Local Disk J on my Dell and Local Disk E on my laptop now It doesn t matter where I plug it in Not only that it won t open when I try to open it It will get loaded and then just pause and stop responding I m completely lost My hard drive is Seagate GB nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Hi, first I would run the Seagate diagnostics to check the hard drive is still healthy following this guide.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:

Western Digital:

Toshiba Fujitsu:

If you have a Toshiba hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.Click to expand...

It sounds likely that the circuitry in the drive enclosure is failing (or the drive), if the test won't run then remove the drive from the enclosure and purchase a USB Hard Drive adapter, or use the internal connections in a desktop PC to connect the drive. This should allow you to run the test and/or extract all the files.

If the test runs ok with the drive connected to another PC internally, or with a USB adapter then you will know for sure that it is the enclosure that has failed.
Relevancy 25.8%

I'm missing the "local area connection" for a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop. Hence, I cannot seem to connect to the net.

Anybody got any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

A:Local area connection missing, Dell Inspiron 1300

Is your wireless working? Go under your BIOS and see if the WiFi is enabled or functioning. Download any BIOS updates, WiFi drivers update an etc.. If all is done and you still have the issue. Buy USB WiFi NIC Dongle and test that and see if you can get LAN or WAN connection.
Relevancy 18.92%

First off I will tell you what my goal is and then what I have tried and any comments or ideas are greatly appreciated At from building building to Networking our church we recently got dsl since I am the tech Networking from building to building guy I got asked to tackle the challenge We are trying to get dsl at our parsonage as well which is aprox yds away This is what I have done From our dsl modem I have hooked up a router for the normal operations in the church Also from this router I have ran cat V to a wireless router next to an exterior wall The wireless N router has a detatchable antenna so I got an ext cable and placed the omni antenna on the ext of the building That antenna didnt seem to have much range so I bought a high gain yagi antenna Now the range is good but the parsonage next door is brick The signal seems to register on the computer but no internet access The internet works fine on the outside I guess brick and wifi dont mix My question is what would you suggest get a second yagi and go into and access point They want wireless in the house Also since it is a different building but has the same phone number would it be possible to have two seperate dsl modems Any help is appreciated Im ok with direct wireless but wireless to wireless and access points I dont have a clue Thanks Shane nbsp

A:Networking from building to building

good work (so far).

recommend you use a LAPTOP to verify the remote connectivity.

First, config the laptop so as to connect to your secondary router (ie: wireless router next to an exterior wall).
To avoid routing complexity; wire your connections like this

notice that the secondary.router connects to the primary using a LAN slot, not the typical WAN connection.
This will allow all systems on your lan (regardless of wired/wifi, or which router they connect to) to use the same ip subnet
(ie all devices will have the first three values of the ip address identical; 192.168.1.x)

To do this, connect a system to the secondary.router (and nothing else connected to it),
access the internal config of the router and disable the DHCP service.
The primary router will then control all IP addresses for the devices.

[a]Either or both routers may use wifi too
TRICK: use different channels, same WPA phrase, and make both SSIDs similar, but unique (ie: parishA vs parishB)

Now reconnect the routers and verify the laptop can connect to the secondary.router when it is in the same room. Now step across the yard (but still outside) and verify you're still connected.
Walk inside and try to get connected again.

They want wireless in the house. Also since it is a different building , but has the same phone number would it be possible to have two seperate dsl modems?Click to expand...

To get WiFi within the house you need another device (an Access Point or a router that supports BRIDGE mode)... like this

dsl.modem==primary.router ---cat5---secondary.router - - - wifi 2 house--Access.Point - - wifi within the building
Use [a] above to segregate the A/P too
Relevancy 24.94%

ok so we got a router last year for when im home for summer, problem is im 80ft from the router and when it gets hot, or w/e the signal is aweful and i cant do anything (takes google like 10s to load)

i got a cable from monoproce (75ft) so i can move the router to a central locale for all the comps in the house, but the main comp my parents use doesnt have a wireless card in the computer so i was wondering if i could hook an ethernet from their computer to the modem for a connection. or can i only have 1 line into it for the router, bc if i move the router i wont have another long cable to hook their computer into. and yes getting a card is more simple, but i dont wanna buy anything else lol

A:Networking my parent's house..

I would invest in some wireless access points since your able to run Ethernet cable from the router. Wireless Access Points would give you access to your wifi network anywhere you one in your dwelling.
Relevancy 21.07%

Here is what I get when I type ipconfig all Host Name Tanya Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List gateway wire net Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description Realtek on Local connection Windows wireless says internet internet My Vista Only connection RTL B Wireless b g Mbp s USB Network Adapter Physical Address - -D -A -FF- A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a ed a d Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address - E- -CE-BB-D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap C E B - EA - D - F B- F B F br DA Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description isatap gateway wire net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : to expand...

this occures when there is no response to the DHCP request.

First, disable the WiFi, cable a connection to the router and retry; what's the result?

While connected to the router, config it for the:
router address and DHCP range
wifi SSID, Channel
set a new admin password and save the settings.

Disable the wired interface, enable the WiFi and retry the WiFi connection
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi guys, i have recently received a message telling me that a network cable is unplugged. Usually i have this problem with local area connection 2, but it always resolves itself while this one does not. I have tried unplugging my dlink and plugging it back in. please give me any suggestions! Sorry if this sounds dumb to you, much appreciated!

A:Local Area Connection [A network cable is unplugged]

Are using a laptop or desktop, if your on a laptop will say that because your not plugged in the LAN on your laptop which you do not need if it is wireless, but if it is your desktop and you are connect to your router it could be that the NIC card is at fault go into device manager to see if there is any problems with NIC card.

1.Also check your network cables make sure they are in secure.

2. Make sure your network adapter is up to date and working.
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi required. wirelessly Networking wired! and Mac a and both *****s a PC guide I m running a music studio with a PC Win XP Home and a MacBookPro Snow Leopard What I d like to Networking a Mac and a PC both wirelessly and wired! *****s guide required. be able to do is the following Have the PC and the MBP access the internet via their wireless connections yup I know easy - done in fact but also Have the MBP and the PC talk to EACHOTHER via a wired connection both machines have gigabit ethernet and the mac i m told will do the crossover automatically ie negating the need for a crossover ethernet cable I d like to be able to transfer sets of large audio files from one machine to the other which via wifi takes forever but I d also like to have both machines access the internet independently of each other I m kind of asking if this is in fact possible and if so how to do it Also what would be useful is Networking a Mac and a PC both wirelessly and wired! *****s guide required. to be able to run Synergy on both machines so I can use the keyboard and mouse of the PC to operate both machines This was easy when I had a PC laptop but now I ve switched to the mac its all a bit different Any help suggestions advice is as always extremely welcome Kind Regards Red nbsp

A:Networking a Mac and a PC both wirelessly and wired! *****s guide required.

MBP?? What do you refer to?

I have Win/XP, a Mac OSX, and RedHat linux all sharing files on the same subnet.
Just connect (anyway you like to the router) and enable Print/File Sharing on all system.

Google File Sharing Mac and PC to get the setup
here's one example
Relevancy 25.37%

Hello Ive a little bit of an issue with my internet lately i have a little cousin thats Networking adapters staying over for christmas and he accidently turned my pc off when i turned it back on it went into startup repair did its bussines but then wouldnt connect to the internet I opened device manager and under the Networking Adapters tab all the subtabs had a yello quot quot sign beside them and in properties it said This device is not working properly because Windows cannot Networking adapters load the drivers required for this device Code i fixed my sweex wireless adpater by clicking on quot update drivers quot quot search my computer quot and quot let me pick form list of device drivers on my computer quot it worked for half of the quot quot marks but for all the WAN miniports such as - Wan miniport ip - Wan miniport ipv - Wan miniport l tp - Wan miniport networking monitor - Wan miniport PPPOE - Wan miniport PPTP and microsoft torredo tunneling port it says quot windows encountered a problem installin the driver software for your device quot i can now go on internet but stuff like Windows live messanger wont connect Please help Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Networking adapters

I suggest you go to your motherboard manufacturer's website, download the NIC/LAN drivers and reinstall them unless you already have the motherboard driver CD.

I suspect your cousin did a bit more than merely turning the PC off accidentally but that's neither here nor there.
Relevancy 26.66%

Let me tell you a bit about my set-up. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and my internet connection is via a Bt homehub.
My problem is every time I start up my PC I don't have internet connection.
The only way to get it is to go to local area connection and disable it, then go back in and enable it and then I have internet access.
I have taken screen shoots of whats happening.
Not sure if the file has uploaded so sorry if you don't see it. New to this site so having to get used to it.

Can any one see the word file I attached as I can't.

A:Local Area Connection

Assuming that's a wired and not wifi connection.

Before you boot, disconnect from the BT and let the system present the desktop, then
connection to the BT, wait 30sec and you should have a connection.

Your Firewall should be left active

Like to see the View Connections, but copy the text from this and past into your follow-up:
start->Run->enter IPCONFIG /ALL
Relevancy 19.78%

Running XP on 2 computers. Have them connected by a router. I set the router IP to Everything connects great! When I connect to a wireless network, it all connects, but doesn't work ("connection timed out" or "Page not found" errors. The wire connection shows an IP of If I disable my Local Area Network, the internet connects perfectly. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I CAN USE MY LOCAL AREA NETWORK AND THE WIRELESS CONNECTION AT THE SAME TIME! Frustrating to the max! Any network specialists out there who can tell me how to fix this? Thanks!!!

A:Conflict between "Wireless Network Connection" & "Local Area Connection"

berkeleygh said:

Running XP on 2 computers. Have them connected by a router. I set the router IP to Everything connects great! When I connect to a wireless network, it all connects, but doesn't work ("connection timed out" or "Page not found" errors. The wire connection shows an IP of to expand...

You should know that x.x.2.1 is incorrect. For the router address shown, all devices that connect to it *must* be 192.168.3.x where x > 1 and < 255.

I would suspect that you have some static configuration data in the devices.

You want your router to offer DHCP in the range 2->32 (that's more than enough) and
you want all systems to use DHCP for the IP address and DNS settings.

Remove anything in the Alternative Configurations
Relevancy 24.94%

Good Morning,

Ok... I live in a building split into flats, (3 floors), the guy on the bottom floor and I share the internet cost, (wireless), but the router is downstairs in his flat.. I can pick it up fine in my back room and bedroom but not in the front room, (where my P.S 3 and P.C live)... With a network cable, (attached to my my laptop in the back room), I can share the internet with the front room but don't like the masses of wire trailing through my place..

I have a wireless router and am wondering if I can somehow use it to take the connection from my laptop and send it, wireless, to the front room - My P.C and PS3.. A bit long winded but I hope you understand what I mean and would greatly appreciate any help you could offer... Thank you...

A:Is this kind of wireless networking possible?

There are routers that can be more or less powerful. You can get a linsys N router...those are powerful.
If you are on a budged Netgear routers are great. Buy a new router to your friend and ask him to replace his router with your new one.

If he doesnt want to be involved in this at all, buy yourself a Wireless Repeater from Linksys (about $60), and you can repeat his signal throught your house.
Relevancy 24.51%

This problem is irritating I ve got an IBM Thinkpad Lenovo t p with windows vista business on it My dads I issues with Windows Business. Networking Vista cannot for the life of me connect to the Networking issues with Windows Vista Business. internet There are sometimes when I can successfully connect to the wireless wired modem but with no internet access Even then it s flaky I ve had experience with computers and everything i know and tried has failed to fix my problem I ve resorted to helplessly searching online for an answer Typing in keywords to my dilemma Networking issues with Windows Vista Business. on google and other such websites I ve run a HijackThis scan Included as well as provided the entire ipconfig results I m also wondering about removing those tunnel adapters I ve no idea where they came from And there are so many of them seems quite unnecessary but hey thats windows eh I m not too happy as of late with vista in general I use xp and down alas my dad really needs help and can t afford to buy any software Just with I could fix it DHCP is running DNS is running IP helper is stfo I ve tried Manual tcpip registry editing netsh winsock reset manually assigning IP DNS Gateway for both wired and wireless uninstalling and re-installing the devices ran spybot s amp d ad-aware and avg virus Networking issues with Windows Vista Business. scans Anyway I hope i ve provided enough information at this point Much appreciation in advance for any light that can be shed on this issue -Kanzar nbsp
Relevancy 26.66%

the last 5-6 days the network connection sometimes doesn't connecting to Internet.
usually appears after power the pc on. and happened while been connected.

Network- and sharing center
computer ------------ local network --------X------ Internet

sometimes it helps just pull out the cable then plug it in, other is, turn off and on the router, or deactivate and activate the network card.

also tried update driver, but that seemed to mess it more up so i went to device-manager and unistalled the driver, install it again from the cd to the mobo.

the other pc in the house is a laptop using the wireless with no problems.

my sys specs on button +
network card
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, driver version. 7.5.730.2009

Inteno X5668b

A:Unstable local network connection

Do you have the latest driver from Realtek TW. Also note sometimes these adapters go DUFF! Are the lights on the back of the card lite or flashing?

Go into safe mode and remove the driver. Even shutdown the system and pull out the card. If it's onboard NIC, then disable it and get a PCI or PCI-E if you have the shorter PCI-E slot. They can go bad. Since you have ruled out your router isn't the issue and you can use yoru wireless laptop. Then the NIC is the issue.
Relevancy 24.51%

Hey all,
I have a wireless/wired network setup in my apartment. There are 3 computers connected to through wireless, and one connected through an ethernet cable. I'm having issues with only one of the wireless computers. It will connect fine, and work with a full internet connection. But if I take the netbook out of my apartment, or put it to sleep (or some other method of temporarily severing the connection) it has issues reconnecting beyond a local connection.

Restarting the computer, automatically getting new IP settings from the network adapter, resetting the network adapter, or disconnecting and reconnecting from the network don't help at all. It seems the only way to re-establish an internet connection (beyond local only connection) is to reset the router.

None of the other computers on the network are experiencing any issues at all.

Any suggestions? Thanks much

A:Networking issue - one computer has issues with connection

What OS?
Laptop or desktop?
What Router to you have?
Relevancy 24.94%

Bought a new router for the parental controls, need help getting it working. Here is a fairly extensive diagram. As connected in this diagram

-All devices can access the internet.
-Devices connected to routers A, B, or C can ping any other device in the 192.168.1.X network.
-Devices connected to router C can ping devices on router A or B but cannot access shared drives or shared printers by name (possibly can by IP)
-Devices connected to routers A, B cannot ping devices connected to router C

Can this be resolved with static routing? Would like to create one network but can't figure out how to create a bridge in Netgear router.

A:Home networking help needed

Very nice diagram; well done!

-Devices connected to routers A, B, or C can ping any other device in the 192.168.1.X network.
-Devices connected to router C can ping devices on router A or B but cannot access shared drives or shared printers by name
(possibly can by IP)
-Devices connected to routers A, B cannot ping devices connected to router C

Notice that A+B are on the same subnet (192.168.1.x)
This avoids routing issues and gives control to the firewalls on those systems.

C however is a different subnet (192.168.2.x) can creates routing problems.

a) move the C router onto the same subnet as A&B
and I would then run DHCP only from the A device and disable DHCP everywhere else

b) study the ROUTE program and add a route for 192.168.2.* and ensure it is retained across router restarts (hint: it's a static route)

Problem (2) is your firewalls on A+B systems needs to

allow tcp/udp in/out ports 137-139,445 from 192.168.2.*
Relevancy 24.94%

I have tried connecting two computers using a crossover cable, after setting up the necessary configurations and plugging in the crossover cable on both computers a notification appeared on PC1 saying that it?s acquiring network address while PC2 has no response. Then after few seconds PC1 stops acquiring network address and has changed it?s status to limited or no connectivity, still PC2 has no response at all.

Please help me with this problem.

Thank you

A:Networking through crossover cable

How exactly did you set things up? What were the steps?

What I normally do is connect the two PC's and then set their IPs to something like and You won't have anything for DNS or Gateway.
Relevancy 22.79%

I have my internet connection saying it is connected but whenever I go onto firefox it tells me it couldnt connect.

ipconfig tells me it encountered an error, repairing connection tells me it can't get into tcp/ip settings. I have tried resetting winsock.

I'm currently not at my computer and I'm being forced to rush, so if you need more specific error messages just tell me and I will post with my phone.

A:Local Area Connection "Connected", no net

Post ipconfig /all
You may be connected to your LAN, but not the internet.
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi all I am trying to re-configure my entire home network My weapons of choice are as follows Comcast s Cisco Modem Linksys E Router Linksys WRT n Router Linksys WRT G Router Sony Playstation Dell New Studio XPS Laptop question networking Tough WIN IBM years old Desktop WIN XP Acer years old Desktop WIN HP years old Laptop WIN XP Here are my questions Is it possible to hook all three routers up to the one modem basement first floor second floor Without losing their perks By perks I mean the E allows remote backups to an external HDD and guest accounts Are there benefits to doing this Will it increase my range Should I set the n-routers to specifically n rather than mixed signals and the same for g The E offers a faster GHz signal while the other routers offer GHz signals how will this come into effect Ideally the XPS and Tough networking question PS will be on the middle level so wouldn t that be the best place for the E Does the PS Tough networking question have an n wireless built into it or is it g old fat model I am running multiple OS s on multiple platforms as well as a wireless printer will it be difficult to network them all together in the end with different router connections What are your suggestions and what would you do if you were facing this predicament My last point is that my connection has prior to this solely relied on a one-router one access point connection prior to this I have never used the E before this as it is brand new and I haven t hooked it up yet I was using the WRT n and it dropped out all the time I figured by setting up a router on each level of the home it would increase the range but i m not sure if they will take away from one another or if it will actually be beneficial Tough networking question Sorry for all the questions and all the text I would appreciate any help whatsoever I m gonna try to do this on my own so the more I know the better Thanks for all of your help nbsp

A:Tough networking question

AP (G)

This is your homework? Pick which one goes where? ES3000, WRT160n and WRT54G? Oh by the way you'll need to buy a good external switch and a couple of 50-100 feet Cat5e cables.
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello All,

I would like to share files between 4 laptops (1 host and 3 guest) but do not need internet access. I have a wireless netgear wgr614 router to use and want to know if this is possible. If so, how do I enable all the computers to see each other.

I have been going through the post but did not find one that was like what I need. The post that I found were using the internet and I will not have internet access for this project.

Can this be done using my router only?

A:Networking four laptops using a router without Internet access

of course

config all PCs to use DHCP (should be the default anyway)

connect all to the router LAN side.

each system will get a unique IP address related to the routers default
eg: if the router is a, then all systems will be the same 192.168.1.
and the trailing digit will be unique, {2,3,4,5}

using a command prompt you should be able to ping any other system using the IP addresses, eg ping​that says they all 'see each other'

Now setup Print/File Sharing on one system;
open any folder and click the Tools menu -> Folder Options
click View tab and scroll to bottom
[x] the Use Simple File Sharing

Now enable Print/File Sharing Exception in the firewall
Control Panel->Windows Firewall
click Exceptions Tab
[x] File & Print Sharing
Repeat (1-2) on one other system

This will allow the common Shared Documents
@ \Documents & Settings\ or \Users\ All Users\Shared Documents
to become accessible to all users

You access a Share in two ways

Map Network Drive
run \\systemName\shareName
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi, yesterday I tried to connect to a hotspot wifi and noticed that the icon on the taskbar is not visible.

So i tried going to my network connections and didn't find the LAN or Wireless Network connection that I usually configure whenever i try to connect to other network.

So I went to device manager and saw this annoying exclamation sign over my hardware. attached is a screenie. What do you say I should do?

A:Networking problem on my XP (unable to connect internet)

Those icons indicate you have a driver problem for the devices.. tho it's odd that you suddenly have a driver problem for both yur wired AND wireless suddenly

I think best next step is to uninstall / reinstall the devices.

I'd first look in Add/Remove Programs to see if any LAN or WLAN entries are found and uninstall them. Then uninstall from DevMgr.
> Intel Pro / 100 VE Net Connection and
> Intel 3945ABG Net Connection
Then try reinstalling the drivers from HP's web site should have them there for you to download

fyi... is a bit troubling wired and wireless and even your 1394 device show an error.. is possible there is a bigger problem.. but suggest you first try the uninstall/reinstall per above
Relevancy 26.66%

I have Vodafone Prepay Broadband so I do not have to plug in any cables. However, recently my internet will not connect properly. The Vodem connects properly but I do not get fully connected as the two pcs with a globe do not appear on my toolbar and no pages will load. When I "Diagnose and Repair" is when I get the message telling me that Local Area Connection 2 is unplugged. I do not understand this as I should not have to plug in anything but the Vodem.

A:Local area connection 2 unplugged

is it the vodem stick that plugs into the usb port? and please mention your operating system
Relevancy 24.94%

I have a strange problem I networking issue Printer have two laptops and a desktop all of which are running windows XP I have a printer plugged into a netgear router router is plugged into the desk top the desktop is online wired the two laptops are wireless Printer networking issue I have set up a printer share in windows xp the desk top can print and one Printer networking issue of the laptops can print wirelessly but the other one wont find the printer network I have set up both laptops the same way but when i search for the network with one it finds it and the other doesn t Then it gets weird i took the two laptops to another place hooked the laptop that finds the printer to a different print set up a printer sharing network and the laptop that could not find the other printer sharing network can find the new printer hooked up to the other laptop So i dont know why the laptop isnt finding the other printer sharing network the only thing i can figure is that its a setting on the desktop which i set up the printer sharing network on or the router settings I however did see on another forum that when Mcafe Antivirus expires i can render print sharing useless and both the problematic laptop and the desk top both had mcafe on them which recentually expired Any suggestions nbsp

A:Printer networking issue

if the printer is directly attached to the router, then that is a Networked Printer and it has its own IP address.

If the printer is attached to a system, THEN you need Print Sharing.

Control Panel->Printers->add Printer will get the Add Printer Wizard
(*) A network printer or a printer attached to another computer
and here's the difference
Browse for a printer (for a Networked Printer
connect to \\system\sharename (for print sharing)
Relevancy 24.94%

I did a search on this on the board, and the dates were pretty old for info. So, can anyone walk me through networking two computers, one PC with Vista, and a new laptop with 7? I'm pretty saavy, but not a good as most of you so I sort of need a more layman's language. Also, my Western Digital external drive is recognized in the PC, but the new laptop won't recognize. Do I need to install drivers in the laptop? Ports work with the thumb drive and dongle.

A:Networking 2 wireless computers

Basically follow the new wireless router instructions.
Insert CD
Then go from there.
Every manufacturer going to have different setups
The CD will tell you what to do in setting up the router.
Then you'll need to let those two computers connect to the router either wired or wirelesss
Wireless one would need to know SSID name of your wireless connection and the passcode password. Or you might be better off using WPS to make it easier for you. Just follow your CD.
Relevancy 24.94%

lt SOLVED gt Windows Connecting to Server or Server Fix posted at the end of this post Hey guys so I have problems 7 Networking/Authentication Windows been noticing this weird problem with Windows machines lately and I am Windows 7 Networking/Authentication problems wondering if anyone has run into this and found a fix Running Windows Home Premium x hardware isn t really an issue as I ve had it on multiple types but any that have the problem are running W So the problem is things of which I m most concerned about here at work we have a server that we log into for files and programs we use across many computers but it seems something breaks the authentication on Windows and I can not log into our server I type my username and password like normal works on other machines even windows ones but some just don t want to work I reload W and it works fine Windows 7 Networking/Authentication problems but I want to figure out what is causing a change and how I can prevent or fix this issue due note I am runing HOME and Windows 7 Networking/Authentication problems not PRO so I don t have some of the extra policy settings and so forth I have also noticed that any machines that have this networking problem also have a problem with our Bell mobile sticks Bell being the phone company in which they install the stick but it can t find the server to connect to I have noticed some security entries in the Event Viewer non of which have helped me but I ll post one too see if anyone else gets anything out of it ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A logon was attempted using explicit credentials Subject Security ID lt Username gt -PC lt Username gt Account Name lt Username gt - Account Domain lt Username gt --PC Logon ID x c Logon GUID - - - - Account Whose Credentials Were Used Account Name lt Server Login Name gt Account Domain lt Username gt --PC Logon GUID - - - - Target Server Target Server Name lt Server gt Additional Information lt Server gt Process Information Process ID x Process Name Network Information Network Address - Port - This event is generated when a process attempts to log on an account by explicitly specifying that account s credentials This most commonly occurs in batch-type configurations such as scheduled tasks or when using the RUNAS command ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I know it doesn t show much but I thought I d paste it also like to mention I tried turning off windows firewall disabling UAC no other firewalls are currently installed were installed Any suggestions greatly appreciated thanks in advance I would also like to add I cannot access ANY computers on the network even ones without a password tells me the quot network path was not found quot error code x ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Fix Go TO HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control LSA Create Dword quot LmCompatibilityLevel quot edit value to Restart computer and try to connect again This issue was involving a new Windows computer trying to connect to an older server nbsp

A:Windows 7 Networking/Authentication problems

What OS is on the Server? Server 2003 Enterprise R2 doesn't play nice with 7 search you'll need to download Windows Search for Server 2003 for Windows 7 users. You don't want to run Index with Windows Search as it would bog down the network. Server 2008 R2 SP2 works as it has both Window Search features, by default Index gets installed you need to change that to Windows Search.

Windows Home Client 7 has that homegroup feature. Get's a bit tricky setting up permissions with that feature. When both Homegroup and Workgroup are in use. But it can be done two ways. Are you seeing issues there?

Server OS: ? or are you using Windows 7 64-bit box as acting Server?
Client OS: Windows 7 HOM
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello everyone I have encountered an issue with my network a few days ago I have a single cable modem provided by my ISP wired to a linksys router bought on my own The thing is my IP has been blocked from a game company Nexon-Combat Arms if anyone knows for no apparent reason The curious thing is that Addresses Networking and issues IP one day it is blocked Networking and IP Addresses issues and the next day it is unblocked and then the next day or two it is blocked again and so it goes So through searching I came across on how to change IP Addresses which apparently Static IP s cannot be changed as of Dynamic IP s can So to check whether I had one or the other I came across that I had to go into the command prompt and type ipconfig all According to the result and the forum if there was a line like quot DHCP Enabled Yes quot meant the IP Address is Dynamic and quot DHCP Enabled No quot of course meant Static The funny issue with this though is that in one of my computers it shows DHCP Enabled Yes and the other computer shows DHCP Enabled No when they are both connected to the same wireless router and have the same IP Address according to the website whatismyip I as well tried contacting my ISP telecable net mx to see what could be done and they said the IP s are assigned the time the modem is installed and that the lease expires every hours It is tricky to know when will I be blocked and when not My question is how can I know how are the IP s rotating around that one day I get a blocked one and the next day not Also how come one of my computer shows quot DHCP Enabled Yes quot Dynamic IP and the other shows quot DHCP Enabled No quot Static IP Thanks a lot nbsp

A:Networking and IP Addresses issues

Hi DanielGJ

1. When you look at ipconfig, you;re looking at how IP addresses are configured/assigned by your router to your computers on your home network vs.
2. This is totally independent of whether your ISP assigns you a dynamic or static address internet IP (you can't control that) (i.e. how your ISP assigns the IP address to your home network)

You can see the current IP address assigned by your ISP to your home network using

So your ISP is totally in control as to what IP address they assign and when they want to change it. HOWEVER.. one method to try to get a new dynamic IP (that i find sometimes works depending on the ISP):

Unplug your cable modem for several hours (such as overnight).

/* edit */
Once your ISP thinks you gone offline for awhile they may decide to reallocate the IP address and give it to someone else. Then when you finally reconnect your cable modem they'll give you a new available IP address
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi guys,

noob here hope someone can help me..

i physically took out my hard drive from my desktop computer and connected it to a HDD dock to transfer data to my laptop.

when i put the hard drive back inside my desktop computer, C:\ and D:\ appears as a folder instead and cannot open when i double click. i have to right click and click open for it to work.

so i did a format on D:\ because there's no data in it originally and now it's back to the original D:\ hard disk icon and works fine when i double click it. but i have alot of valuable info in C:\ that's too large to transfer anywhere else to format.

does anyone know a way to restore the C:\ icon back to the original hard drive icon and double click works without wiping out the data?

A:Local disk drive C:\ appearing as a folder!

read this post there may

read this post there may be some similar problems / fixes for you.....don't forget to use the Micro soft USB disconnect tool before unplugging any devices
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi, I am a AT&T customer with a 2Wire513 modem/router which is wired to one desktop PC and wireless to two laptops.

I have an old Linksys WRT160N router that I purchased right before AT&T sent me the 2Wire Gateway. My laptops are too far away from the gateway to get a good, steady Internet connection.
Is there a way to use my Linksys router between my two laptops and my gateway to provide the laptops with Internet, without the router having to be plugged into a phone jack?

I think what I need to do is install DD-WRT on my Linksys router first, but I'm unsure of where to go next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 25.37%

Hi All
Just wondering if it is or isnt possible to network a windows 7 64 bit os with xp 32 bit os ,I have 5 computers at home which i have running through a belkin switch just for lan nights with friends each have seperate ip addresses , , 192.168.2 and so on had to do this so farcry would lan.
Just put windows 7 64 bit on the main pc certainly a different os to navigate but cant hook up to the rest of the network ,If it is possible any advice or links to guide me through the process would be greatly appreciated as networking is one of my weak points
Thanks to All

A:64 bit 32 bit networking?

It is perfectly alright to do that; if you have right drivers you can even used shared resources of an x86 OS (ie. xp 32bit) on your Win7 X64 machine Now having said that, MS has a stupid habit of making things difficult for users in this respect with each new OS release well since XP anyway.

Windows Vista/ Win 7 use Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder component, which is not present in XP.

Although XP can be networked with Vista / Windows 7 without having it, I believe it can make this easier and more reliable if LLTD is installed on XP. What it does is allow the XP computers to be easily/readily discoverable on the network and "show up" in the network map (Network Folder) in Vista and Windows 7, provided that you are using the same Workgroup name and have File and Printer sharing enabled, i wouldn't be bothered to keep password protected sharing turned on as well (For trusted LAN only).

There are two different ways to achieve this, depending on which Service Pack you have on your XP installation:

If you are running Windows XP with SP2, you can download and install the LLTD component here.

If you are running Windows XP with SP3, a Hotfix is required and it can be downloaded here.
Relevancy 25.37%

This one has me completely stumped I have a customer that networking Odd problem has a unique networking problem Odd networking problem He has five networked computers in his home setup All of the computers Odd networking problem have wireless cards Now the one with the problem is using a connection He has Windows on it All of his computers can get online with no problem The computer with the USB Odd networking problem connection has the problem When transferring files from the USB based machine after a few minutes the connection drops completely When the other computers network in and copy files from the USB machine it will work for a little while Then after a few minutes the USB crashes again Now any other transfers with the other computers works fine So far I checked the access rights and all of those are fine with the shared folders Disabled the firewall completely with no luck All of the files are visable and able to be shared it just crashes during the transfer Funny thing is that when I tried to hook up a hard connection The computer hangs and sits on identifying forever So the ethernet connection does not work either but that s not the main problem right now I m thinking this is a power problem with the USB connection but I m not sure Any idea why this keeps happening or how to resolve it Also he is using a Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N USB adapter nbsp

A:Odd networking problem

Reinstall the wireless driver and use the latest on the linksys website (and check for any firmware updates as well) (btw.. i see the latest driver on the website was just posted 1/26/2010!)
Relevancy 25.37%

Hi guys - need some help/advice please.

I have Virginmedia cable broadband (8Mbps) with a netgear wireless router (54Mbps). There are two other PCs using this network (one notebook and one desktop. The desktop has a wireless USB dongle fitted). The 2 other compuetrs belong to my kids who are always gaming/downloading. My wife is always on the internet downstairs.

The problem is that my lads are complaining of high ping on their games (no suprise there with all the wireless activity). I was wondering if upgrading the router to 100+ Mbps would make any difference at all or am I just wasting money?

Does anybody know another way to increase internet speed?

The 2 computers are directly above the router with no interference.

Thanks guys

A:Faster networking

Your biggest issue is the downloading. That's what slows down your connection-for everyone.
Upgrading a router won't necessarily increase your connection speed, but there are routers out there which will allow you to prioritize your internet activity.
Relevancy 24.94%

This is my first post so please help me out I had a wireless router problems solutions? Networking any linksys G-router I wanted to upgrade to a N router With the G router I could only use items at a time with no or very little lag unless I was streaming music or video If I was using two then Networking problems any solutions? it would load slower I wanted to upgrade to get the fullest out of my internet connection Now with the N router I cant connect a second item and some times even the first item to the wirless My laptop sometimes with nothing else going will show limited connectivity If I have the laptop on and searching the Ipod will have no signal My xbox will not connect if either of the other two are connected and vise versa with what ever configuration you choose After install I went to speedtest net and the test wouldnt even run Why wont the N router support the same amount of connection as the G router Did I set something up wrong Should I settle for the G router nbsp

A:Networking problems any solutions?

ALL the systems connected to the -N router need -N adapters, and most of us have the -G mode devices. Mixed mode (N+G) frequently is difficult and we often force G-MODE only to solve it.

caveat emptor
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi, I have a fujitsu laptop,,,,which I used to use which my modern via local arena connection,,,but 1 day my friend did something to it and now when I connect the jak the pc does not connect?????now I can't see local area network on my network places,,What happens how can I get it back to work. Br gsmnikki

A:Local area connection help

If you can't see the LAN connection listed under Network Connections, your friend probably uninstalled the driver.

1) Open Device Manager. Do you see the network adapter? Rt click and uninstall
2) Now go to the support site for your computer (e.g. Dell, HP, ASUS, etc) download the network driver and reinstall it
Relevancy 25.37%

I am interested in computer networking and would like to learn more about it. I'm already attending a community college majoring in computer networking.

What else can I do? Any books that could be suggested to me? I'm trying to make good use of my 4-week school break that is coming up. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A:Learning about Networking

QUE Computer/Networking Books are good. Any Borders an etc.. book store has a huge IT section. Go for your MSCE exam. Once you get that then get a part time job working for Networking Service so you can learn the ropes in real-time with experts in the business. You'll need 3 years min to 5 years full experience. But still attend the College because BS, BA looks good on your resume along with MSCE. So you can land that well high paying Network Engineer Job. Good Luck!
Relevancy 24.94%

Currently we are using an HP All-In-One on an older Dell running XP Media Center I am stumped as to how to get a Win machine and a Vista machine to recognize the XP printer I can locate the printer via a wired router from the Vista and machines But an error message appears that I need a driver I have hooked up the printer to the Win and Vista machines individually and the driver automatically loads Printer works fine That tells me that the drivers are present on the Vista and the machines but when I go back to having the printer attached to the XP machine I cannot print from the V or machines and I am told I need a driver I downloaded the Vista driver onto the XP machine but cannot get it to install I have printer sharing turned on Does the Vista driver have to be present on the XP machine I have run the install disk on both the V and the machines and it asks if I want to install the printer directly or is it 64 a XP Machines with (32) printer a on Vista64, Networking and 7 on a network I reply network but the search reveals no printer even though I can find the printer on the network map Alternately is a cable adapter available that would allow me to split the printer cable via USB It would need to be quot backward quot splitter meaning that the printer cable that would conventionally plug into the computer would need to split into two receptacles for two USB cables I am really stumped on this one nbsp
Relevancy 25.37%

IF I m successful in setting up a home network computers what exactly happens next Found a lot of info on HOW to set up networking but nothing about how to accomplish things once it s set up Specifically once I m properly set up for file sharing internet access for my laptop client thru my desktop host what s on my laptop when I turn it on I ve networking what set If is next? happens successfully up, already got Opera Browser If networking is successfully set up, what happens next? on both computers but how do I access Opera amp all the capabilities of the host computer instead of the client computer both run Windows XP Also how do I do things such as accessing files in quot My Documents quot on the host instead of or in addition to files in quot My Documents quot on the client computer Will the Client computer have new Icons added that take me directly to programs files of the host computer Anyone know of a website covering the How To s of this part of networking nbsp

A:If networking is successfully set up, what happens next?

Don't you have any friends with computers that can walk you through this part of the procedure... It would simplify your life.
Relevancy 24.94%

Is there any known issues? I've been looking around all day but I can't seem to get my Home Network under control.

A:Networking problems with Xp and Vista computers?

It should work. Most frequent problems are caused by your firewall settings and/or not having Vista Network and Sharing set to Private Network.

See these links to start
Five Windows Vista Tips for Networking and File Sharing
Beyond Simple File Sharing: Using Mapped Drives
Relevancy 24.94%

I have 2 computers same specs. My partners connects to the internet(broadband) through my PC. while my PC has windows XP32bit running. Platforms Xp32 Xp64 windows7_64bit all connect to the internet on my partners through my PC OK. But only if I run Xp32bit. If i change my PC to 64 bit... hers will not connect to the internet no matter whether hers is 32bit or 64. I have uninstalled firewalls so I know the problem isnt them .. It says it cant get an ip address when i try to resolve the issue with options available. Any ideas would be most appreciated.
Relevancy 24.94%

My laptop worked earlier today. Now it's not working for some reason. My fried is in the same room and can log onto the same network but now wen ever I log onto the network, it will get connected but wen I open my browser (which takes forever to open now, started taking forever wen the Internet stopped working) it says page load error on the tool bar on the top of the window and in the screen is says address not found. My network icon I noticed says "unidentified network (Internet 2) access: local only" I looked at my friends and his says all the same things except no "unidentified network". I ran an ipconfig and noticed my "Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address" is a 169 address. I'm retarded with networking but I remember someone telling me a 169 ip is bad. Can u help me out plz?

A:Networking problem Windows Vista

your right the 169 address is one given to you by windows itself, in other words you arent making a connection to the network your using.

is it wireless or wired ?
Relevancy 26.66%

I'm plugged into my router (Linksys wrt54g v8) and my connection still says "Limited or no connectivity". I'm running win xp 64 bit sp2. I tried uninstalling my ethernet connection. I've tried winsock xp and it didn't work, I've tried cmd netsh winsock reset. I've tried to repair the connection and it says "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address" and I've also tried resetting the modem and router. Can anyone help me?

A:Local Area Connection Issues

Was your internet working previous to this problem? If it was, have you changed any settings? Theres a way you can set a static IP, and that would stop your IP from renewing. Also, are there any other computers working on the network?
Relevancy 25.8%

greetings from South Africa,
I am very new to forums and do not know the correct protocol.
So be gentle with me?
I have a KM4AM Motherboard and the drivers etc.
I bought and installed two LG super multi DVD drives.
When connecting it up I noticed that there was a cable connected to the old secondart CD dive and appeared to go to the motherboard??
I do not know if I unplugged it - however I get the title of my thread when I boot up.
It says 'new found hardware' - Parrallel device'

Any suggestions please

A:Local area connection. A network cable is unplugged

The "Parallel" device is the port driver for your LG DVD drives. You have 2 parallel ports on the motherboard. The blue port is for IDE hard drives. The white port is for your IDE (parallel) DVD drives. How are you connecting to the Internet? The "Local area connection. A network cable is unplugged" message indicates that there is no network cable connected to the motherboards network port. Your Cable or DSL modem attaches to this port
Relevancy 24.94%

Hey all,

My dear mother decided she needs a file off of her old computer....emphasis on old. It operates on Win 95, and dial-up. As she no longer has dial up that isnt an option.

I have an Ethernet adapter that i found win95 drivers for, installed just fine. But upon reboot, windows says: Found Ethernet adapter, found drivers, insert win95 disk (theres the problem), This disk is lost to the nether regions of the world.

There are no USB ports, and I doubt id be able to get a driver installed.

The A drive works like a champ, but the file would take 5 disks. This would be an option if i could then recombine all of the files into one on a modern computer.

The CD drive is non writing. and when i try to plug in a CD-Rw drive the computer wont boot (not even enough to turn the monitor on).

Help would be great

A:Networking Problems Win95

If I understand correctly, the file you need off the PC will take 5 floppies. It's been a while, Windows 95/98 is a bit rusty, but in acase like this, I used PKZIP, and was able to create ana archive over as many disks I required. All I did was define how large each file needed to be, then PKZIP would put them all together.
Relevancy 25.37%

I recently set up a music server downstairs in my house making use of Spotify and iTunes I would also like to use it as a form of networked storage It has a large gig hard drive in two partitions C amp D C is the operating system which I don t want to touch at all I want to share D over the network so I can dump files to it when I have finished with them and may need them later I have right clicked on D sharing and security clicked upon If you do not understand the risk but still want to share the root of the drive click here then clicked upon Share this folder on the network gave it a name and Allowed networked users to change the files I have configured the firewall to allow certain IPs to connect to it Clicked apply But when I go to try and access the drive on my laptop it does not show up under My Network Places Basically I cannot find the drive Issues Networking I have just shared nbsp

A:Networking Issues

windows xp home or xp pro ?
Relevancy 24.94%

helllo there my network cable comes unplugged while its connected well to the hub,there are 14 computers connected to the hub and all work fine bt after one or two days the network cable comes unplugged..then to solve this problem i have to dissconect anyone of the computer and then my network works fine and again if i connect the disconnected computer the cable comes unplugged,in short i have to disconnect any one of my computer for my network to work fine,suggestion recommended urgently..

A:Networking Cable Unplugged

Tell us more about your equipment, and your connection. You may have too many connections. What is your speed on your lowest priority computer on the network.
Relevancy 25.37%

I need a really good wireless router. I don't know a good one, and need some opinions. I need one that can handle my gaming/downloading on computer, xbox 360, HDDVR HR21 Directv Reciever, iPhone, and what ever else comes along. Also I'm getting vonage. Any suggestions greatly appreciated, Thanks.

A:Networking Router

This is the one I use, and it works really well.
I had to disconnect my D-Link WBR-1310 since it was giving me problems, once I bought the linksys, it was smooth sailing... and simple to set up
Relevancy 24.94%

I just bought a new house and can you believe they did not add a phone line or cable in that room, I could try and run the cables but what a pain.
I seen that the network over A/C power can go 85mbps and even 200mbps.
Are they any good and can I game over that type of set up ?

A:AC power networking any good?

Yes, these are very good -- just be sure to ALWAYS use the encryption feature
Relevancy 24.94%

I want to add a gaming pc in a room without cable of phone lines, I was looking at linksys's AC power networking kit, Say it has data tranfer speeds of up to 85mbsp!
Has anyone tried this settup?

A:Networking of AC power lines, How well does it work

I have used this for normal networking and it works fine although I use it only for the internet and the transfer rate is never going to exceed 6mbps here, even with with a following wind!
Relevancy 26.66%

I am running a computer using Vista and I just moved it from one room to area fixing network help local Need my another Before moving the computer Need help fixing my local area network I had no problems running both Xbox Live and my internet connection on the computer My connection Need help fixing my local area network is a DSL service through SBC and it runs through a D-Link Router that has slots for ethernet cables as shown below - - - - - There are four immediately next to each other on the left and one set apart slightly farther to the right When I Need help fixing my local area network have my three cables one for the modem one for my xbox and one for my computer in the slots on the left I can connect to the internet through my computer as they are right now but not through my Xbox If I move the cable for my computer over to the slot farthest on the right I can connect to Xbox LIve but I can t connect to the internet through my computer If anybody could provide any sort of solution it would be greatly appreciated EDIT Is there a chance that it could be my ethernet cable While I may have moved the computer from one room to another the only change I really made at all was using a longer ethernet cable for my computer to my router nbsp
Relevancy 25.37%

Hello well I have this problem with my networking I have the Belkin Wireless B MIMO Broadband router I use wired connection for my desktop and wireless for my laptop now the problem comes with my PS for most games I could use wireless connection with no problems for example Call Of Duty Midnight Club Guitar Hero WWE and some other games I could play online wireless But I can t when I want to play Pro Evolution problem Networking Soccer online I could play it wired but not wireless When I try to play it this is what appears quot Unable to transmit using UDP port You may need to connect directly to the internet or adjust your connection device i e router settings etc Assing DMZ Port Mapping Configure NAT Table and Networking problem other router settings to the PS system Individual products may use unique terminology quot I m guessing since I really don t know much about this that the router isn t powerful enough to play this game online Can anybody give me some help with this If there s any solution to this besides buying a better router for it or something I will appreciate it Regards nbsp

A:Networking problem

juanc6 said:

When I try to play it this is what appears:

"Unable to transmit using UDP port 3658. You may need to connect directly to the internet or adjust your connection device i.e. router settings etc.Click to expand...

each game can use its own ports; ie for every game there can be a unique port requirement

You need to log into the router admin page and port forward 3658 to the ip address
of the system running the game. HINT; you're going to need fixed (or static) IP addresses
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi folks,

Here's the setup:

3 desktops:
- 1 runs Windows XP Home SP2
- Two run Windows Vista Home Premium

My laptop: Running XP Pro SP3

Every computer is hooked via ethernet into the same router.

All the other computers do not use a firewall. My laptop does.

The three desktops are all in the same workgroup, named WORKGROUP. They can see each other on the network fine and dandy.
I set my laptop's workgroup to WORKGROUP as well. I even completely disabled my firewall.

when I go My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > Workgroup I get a message saying that the Workgroup is not accessible.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Help's appreciated,

A:Not sure what I'm doing wrong - Networking Issues

"All the other computers do not use a firewall. My laptop does"...

Enable ALL firewalls. The firewalls are enabled by default in Vista as well as XP, so you must have turned them off. If you had configured the Network Internet & File Sharing properly, the firewalls would also be configured, so no need to turn them off at all. Get back into the Network & Sharing settings and enable file sharing properly. Take your time and look at all options
Relevancy 21.93%

I previously set up a home network that worked..then all of a sudden it says Local Only...I do diagnostic...New Ip..doesn't work...disconnect modem..doesn't work...reset adapter..doesn't work....
The desktop is connected via Local Area Connection and I installed a Belkin Wireless Adapter(USB)...
My laptop Dell connects to the ad hoc network wirelessly...
They both connect to the network fine..but my laptop can't connect to the network
* I have already set the LAC to share its internet connection
I cant set the wireless one to share on the desktop..but I have the option to on the laptop but I don't think that would work...
I made my LAC public..I think that was the default...and the wireless Private...Please help!

A:Fix my "Local Only" ad hoc connection

public-private are Vista choices -- you need to use PRIVATE. The public choice is
for use at a hotspot where security is extra tight and Print/File Sharing must be inhibited.
Relevancy 24.94%

I have XP on my desktop and Vista on my Laptop and was trying to set up a home network. I ran the wizard on my XP computer and restarted. I am still unable to see the networks together on the computers Was curious if there was a compatibility issue between XP and vista that i would need to go around thanks.

A:Networking Vista and XP computers together

Do you have DSL or Cable Modem?
Do you have Router?
Do you have a switch or hub?
Do you have crossover cables?

How do you have your network setup?
Are you using wireless laptop?
Are you using wired or wireless desktop?

If you try to connect to devices together without router or switch you need a crossover cable to connect the two. Just not plain patch panel cables.
Relevancy 25.37%

I am pulling my hair out I am not a novice or expert computer user but have always been able to learn what I needed to know having said that i am stuck I am trying to re-set up a home network and nothing seems to work Setup I have two desktops and a laptop Desktop and laptop are XP and desktop is Vista I recently changed desktop from Vista to Nightmare, help Networking XP added desktop and reinstalled XP on laptop needless to say i scratched the previous network I had I have run the wizard at least a dozen times to no avail Networking Nightmare, help One time I ran it and instead of using a flash drive I installed my XP disc into the other two computers and I managed to get desktop and the laptop to see all three but wouldn t necessarily connect to the laptop and neither could connect to desktop even though it could see it i have never gotten desktop to see either of the other two After getting desktop and laptop to see and connect to each other that is now gone No idea why no changes just turned them off and back on and poof Read a lot but no help None are password protected all have file sharing enabled all have same network name and password I am at a loss here Here are my network specs Running Verizon DSL with Versalink router connected via ethernet to desktop laptop and desktop are wireless All can connect to internet fine just not each other I hope I have been clear with description etc I hopefully have not confused anyone to the point they cannot help i am sure this is something simple I am overlooking but ANY help will be greatly appreciated Oh afterthought I tried to ping two of the computers desktop can ping the laptop with no packets lost but then the laptop could not ping the desktop It said it timed out The third computer isn t on so I didn t try it I can if it will help with troubleshooting Thanks PresChik nbsp

A:Networking Nightmare, help

You might find this Part 1 of this guide helpful in troubleshooting your "visibility" issues.

Also be sure to test with
1) First, Disconnecting your ISP cable from router
2) Then turning off all your firewalls on all computers
3) AND then reboot all machines.

Noting the Windows Networking can take 10+ minutes to note some network changes (e.g. after turning off your firewall) which is why you should be rebooting everything after doing so

Anyway, give the guide a shot and let us know if you still have issues

/* EDIT */
And, of course, noting that ping failure on your LAN is Most likely a firewall issue. doing above as part of your test at least proves/localizes that fact
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello All
My C drive is full is there a way to format it without taking the windows Xp out?
thanks for Help

A:Local disk full

Formatting it, will remove all files and folders, including Windows

Run CCleaner

Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, and remove any not required programs

Download and run KCleaner
(uncheck RelevantKnowledge during install, pic here:
Fully run (it says start actually )

Check how much space is now available
Relevancy 24.08%

I have recently installed an Intel 2200 Wireless Card into my Toshiba Satellite 1135-S1552.

The computer recognizes the hardware, and all the software and drivers are working fine.

The problem is when I try to Enable my Radio Switch. I need to be able to press Fn + F2, but on my Satellite the Fn + F2 switch accesses the Battery Mode.

Does anyone know how I can re-map my keyboard, or enable my Radio Switch???

Please help.

A:Toshiba Satellite 1135-S1552 WiFi Networking Problem

Perhaps you don't have to press Fn+F2?

On my IBM the radio is controlled by Fn-F4.

And you don't have to use the Fn+x combination anyway. The WiFi connection software can be used to turn on/off the radio. If you don't have any special software then disabling the wireless connection will effectively turn off the radio.