Windows Support Forum

Boot failure, faulty floppy drive?

Q: Boot failure, faulty floppy drive?

Hi we ve been having a problem floppy failure, Boot drive? faulty with our pc sometimes about of all bootups approximately it freezes on the very first screen The screen is showing something to do with the graphics processor a logo or brand name or something however we changed the graphics card and this did not fix the problem so perhaps its something to do with the motherboard s own graphics unit The motherboard is an ms- Btw One thing we have noticed is that you can tell when the boot is going to fail because the floppy drive does not make its usual clicking noise which it does on a successfull boot So the question I Boot failure, faulty floppy drive? have for any of you who may know could it be something up with the floppy drive causing the system not to boot up Apart from removing the floppy drive is there anything we could do We have also replaced the Hard drive and that hasn t fixed the problem Thanks for any help Tom nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Boot failure, faulty floppy drive?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Boot failure, faulty floppy drive?

It would be easiest to change the boot order in the BIOS to the hard drive first with the floppy drive and optical drive after the hard drive. It doesn't matter that much which is second or third. This way it should skip over the floppy and boot from the hard drive. If you still have trouble booting, there may be something wrong with the hard drive. If it's fine, then there might be something wrong with the floppy. You could just disconnect it, remove it or replace it. Your choice.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-failure-faulty-floppy-drive.136382/
Relevancy 81.7%

I don't know where the XP Forums are Daylight savings time comes around sets my clock back an hour next boot floppy drive Win XP: stuck on boot Keyboard failure, I spent an hour trying to boot up The keyboard would work in the Win XP: Keyboard failure, stuck floppy drive on boot BIOS but Win XP: Keyboard failure, stuck floppy drive on boot would fail at the login password the mouse worked though I unplugged all my external HDD and booted waited minutes at the login screen then the keyboard enumerated and I could type my password I've read Win XP: Keyboard failure, stuck floppy drive on boot that maybe my CMOS battery might be too low - yr old computer and one of the first signs is keyboard failure I tried a second keyboard same problem Right now I'm scared to power down the machine because it might not reboot I'm making a backup as I type this I did a full virus scan nothing found with Avast I've read the jumper near the CMOS might need some adjusting Dell machine The humidity took a deep dip today and even the rechargeable battery on my Norelco shaver died on me while I was trying to shave It'd run for about seconds and quit everytime I plugged it in and unplugged it Poltergeist stealing battery power around here

A:Win XP: Keyboard failure, stuck floppy drive on boot

There are still a couple of XP forums out there but they do not seem to be well used! I would try changing the CMOS battery. It's an easy job to do and a battery in the UK is about 4 US dollars

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/262611-win-xp-keyboard-failure-stuck-floppy-drive-boot.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I'm getting the following message every single time I turn my PC on.

Floppy diskette seek failure
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

The strange part is, I've searched my tower, and I can't see a floppy diskette drive anywhere?Any ideas anyone? I'm utterly bewildered

A:Floppy diskette failure on boot up...

Check the bios and make sure floppy drive and floppy drive seek is disabled, most likely in the first screen or near it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/floppy-diskette-failure-on-boot-up.863821/
Relevancy 68.37%

I have upgraded my pc to w2k but ever since the floppy drive will not work. I have changed the drive for one that i know is definitely working but i get an error message saying please insert disk into floppy drive, even though there is already a disk in the drive.
Any ideas anyone?

Relevancy 68.37%

receive the following error whenever writing files to my floppy disk:
Disk Write Error
Unable to write to disk in drive A:
Data or files may be lost

It occurs about every 5 seconds when writing files.
I've replaced the floppy drive with a new one and the problem remains
I am using windows mellenium edition as my operating system

Relevancy 68.37%

Hey guys, I tried searching, but found nothing.

I just moved my computer into a new case. Now when I boot up it says floppy drive(s) failure 40. I can boot normally anyways and run just fine. THE GREEN LIGHT WONT TURN OFF. Any suggestions? I already checked the cables and they are plugged in properly, i'll double check just incase.

A:Floppy Drive Failure

Hi, Yes, this usually means the cable is on backwards- pin1 red edge of floppy cable goes to pin1 of floppy's motherboard connector....and, the twisted end of floppy cable goes into the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/floppy-drive-failure.113508/
Relevancy 68.37%

I am encountering a message on my computer after reboot. The message states: " floppy disk(s) failure (40). I recently installed a MAXTOR 40 GB hard drive and am trying to load the operating system. The floppy drive light stays on when the computer is rebooted. What does this message mean? I have a bare bones system with a AMD K7 mother board & 900 MZH processor.

Relevancy 68.37%

PC is a 1.6 P4 in pretty good shape, running XP Sp2 with Symantec Corp Ed for virus protection. Floppy drive started misbehaving a week ago, having problems reading disks. Now it will not see anything.
I have replaced the drive with a new one. Checked the cable (looking for one to switch it out with, it's longer than normal) which appears ok - i know this means nothing but until I find one to switch out, it's all I have.
I have removed both the flopppy and it's controller in dev mngr. Still happens.
Reseated the memory, the O/S works fine otherwise.
Kicking it and swearing at it hasn't helped either.
Where do I go now?

Relevancy 68.37%

Hello everyone I just got a new motherboard and power supply so I had to reformat and re-install windows because they were not recognized by the OS Anyways the OS works fine but while loading the POST screen shows that I am getting quot Floppy Drive Failure quot Here are some steps I used to troubleshoot the problem that did not work if anyone knows what im doing wrong please let me know - I changed the cable from the motherboard to the floppy reversed it and tried just about every order it could go in - I switched cables with a new cable I had laying around - I switched floppy drives to a new one from my GF s computer - I went into CMOS and switched between Floppy Drive A and Floppy Drive B Those are the attempts I made still no luck My power light comes on the floppy but thats it I removed the cable and the power connector altogether and the same error Floppy Drive Failure(40) is appearing So basically right now I have a computer with a floppy drive which is a pain in the since I am in school and need to transfer alot of documents back and forth Guess its back to the FTP for me again Can someone please help me out nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

Floppy diskette failure on boot up...
I'm getting the following message every single time I turn my PC on.

Floppy diskette seek failure
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

The strange part is, I've searched my tower, and I can't see a floppy diskette drive anywhere?

I've been into the BIOS and moved the floppy diskette to the bottom of my boot order. However next to it it says 'Not present'

Any ideas anyone? I'm utterly bewildered

Relevancy 67.51%

I need help with my disk drive. I just purcheased a disk drive couple of weeks ago. And i'm having problems with it. "Floppy drive failure:retry or cancel"..this is the error. I checked my connections and i checked my bios if it detects my drive and both is correct. But i dont really think that the drive is defective bec. my old drive also has the same problem eventhough i dont know the cause. I cant return the drive bec. i sort of lost the warranty paper. so i need help asap! thanks.

Relevancy 67.08%

I am helping a friend with a PC. From what they told me, all of a sudden when the PC boots, they get a message: "Floppy diskette seek failure". They attempted to repair (it's a Dell Dimension 9200), and the repair screen just sits there for hours and hours. I tried to go to safe mode to no avail (can't get to the screen - only options are 'attempt to repair' or 'Start Normally' . When I try to start the PC 'normally', I get a BSOD - Memory Management. The PC has 1GB of memory.Please help me. Thank you.UPDATE: Finally got into SAFE mode. This is a VISTA Operating System. Needs to be moved to the appropriate forum

A:PC will not boot; get floppy seek failure and BSOD for memory

A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting/running computer with one RAM stick at a time.NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option AB. If you have only one RAM stick installed......run memtest...1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive. 6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.The following image is the test results area:The most important item here is the ?errors? line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/334701/pc-will-not-boot;-get-floppy-seek-failure-and-bsod-for-memory/
Relevancy 67.08%

im attempting to salvage a computer from a house fire. the condition of the computer is... ok... its still has some smoke in the system. im using a windows xp professional dell dimension e510 that we got in 05. i cant get past booting.

all i get is a message saying floppy diskete seek failure, strike the f1 key to continue, f2 to run the setup utility. i hit f1. nothing happens. then i hit f2. nothing happens, i start up the computer without the keyboard plugged in just to see if the computer was picking it up, and i get a keyboard failure message... i have no idea why my keyboard is not working. could it be im using a 1999 apple keyboard? it works on all of my other computers... which are macs. i may go to a pawn shop to see if i can get another keyboard to see if i can get different results.

A:[SOLVED] floppy diskette seek failure on boot

and welcome to the Forum

Hard to say, but the easiest thing would be to borrow a ps/2 keyboard to try. Many BIOS will not recogognize a usb keyboard untill the operating system loads

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-floppy-diskette-seek-failure-on-boot-589389.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I recently installed windows xp Windows drive failure pro floppy caused XP pro on my computer Everything is working ok except my floppy drive If I insert a good disk checked Windows XP pro caused floppy drive failure on laptop and request a dir read I get an correct dir read after fresh computer start After that no matter what disk I put into the floppy drive I get the same dir read as from the first disk If I restart the computer the floppy will read a new disk directory ok the first time but then it will not read another disk If I insert five disks into the drive it gives me the dir of the first disk I have change floppy disk drives I have checked all disk on another computer to prove they are good At one point the XP program wrote data and new directory over information on a disk inserted into the floppy This problem began immediately after XP pro was loaded to replace the previous MICROSOFT DIaster Windows ME IS it Windows garbage xp system or do I have a VIRUS I have done all the simple support junk on the MS web and help systems That simply ask me if Microsoft Corp is in Washington State as usual but do not address the specific issue I have checked the floppy driver via hardware and system It is there and is the same driver as on another XP computer When I check floppy drive the message says equipment working properly It appears that NEIL has a similar problem What Say you COMPUTER GURUS You may reply to email protected Thanks Dan nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-pro-caused-floppy-drive-failure.275735/
Relevancy 65.36%

HELP!!! I was getting the dreaded "Floppy Disc Seek Failure" and was able to disable it via a thread by Dan. HOWEVER, NOW I MY CD/DVD Drive is gone. I have recently reformatted or should I say reinstalled windows vista operating system and now I can't install any of my other programs b/c the drive is not recognized. (How can you tell which "LETTER" a particular drive is anyway?) I have tried downloading current drivers and it always comes back as most current are up to date. But still no CD/DVD drive. Not sure what I did wrong -- if anyone can help me find my drive -- I would soooooooo appreciate it.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Heidi

Relevancy 63.64%

Hey A few months back I built myself a new PC and everything was working great for a month or so no problems at all However for the past few weeks I have been having trouble with I assume my hard drive hard faulty drive? failures, Boot and getting it to boot my OS Boot failures, faulty hard drive? Win x Heres what happens I power up my PC and it goes through the quot Asus Express Gate quot and other quot BIOS stuff quot - I notice that my HDD doesnt appear in the Sata device list on the next screen it says quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot So I restart and hit Delete to check my Boot Devices in the BIOS My Samsung HDD does not appear anywhere as if it was disconnected I open up the case to check the SATA and Power connectors which are all seated firmly in their sockets The first time this happened I quot solved quot the problem by plugging the Boot failures, faulty hard drive? HDD into a different SATA port on my MB It booted up Windows fine for a couple of days but then the same thing happened again and again I tried a different SATA port with the same results I have been having this problem for around months now and recently when I have tried reseating the SATA connector Boot failures, faulty hard drive? in a different port and rebooting it is not working right away and I have to try multiple ports with much rebooting in order to get it to work I have tried using the hard drives from my old PC which work fine and I was able to boot up Win XP I checked all my drivers were up to date - which they were So I was wondering whether any of you wonderful peoples had any ideas about what may be causing this problem and any suggestions on how to fix it I suspect that I have a faulty hard drive but I d like to try whatever I can before returning it Thank you for reading any suggestions will be much appreciated Jimmy nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-failures-faulty-hard-drive.971168/
Relevancy 63.64%

I haven t used a floppy drive faulty! is floppy in years but my mother swears by them hers has got me swearing I came to visit a couple of days ago and as usual she had a floppy is faulty! list of computer problems for me to solve but this one has me stumped When I try to save a file to her floppy drive it says quot Disk A is write-protected A file cannot be saved on a write-protected disk quot I tried several disks with the same results each time I verified that the tab on the disk was not set to the write-protected setting and even tried putting it on the write-protected setting in case I was being retarded but it wouldn t work either way I finally decided that her drive must have finally bit the dust so I went to the store and picked up a new one Problem solved right Nah The new drive is nice and shiny but doesn t work any better than the old one I have tried re-installing the driver but it doesn t help either Any help on this would be appreciated and would redeem me in my mother s eyes too right now she s wondering what happened to all the money she spent on my education Thanks cromulentone nbsp

A:floppy is faulty!

have u tried accessing the floppy in dos?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/floppy-is-faulty.129794/
Relevancy 63.21%

I ve just had to reformat my hard disk and reinstall Windows Me because of a seeming major corruption Before I did it however I backed up my important data files using Backup onto floppies with no errors Having now reinstalled Windows etc when I Floppy/Backup Faulty try to restore this backed up data floppy will not read fully tried it several times Scandisk runs on it with no reported problems but when I tried a straight copy of this floppy onto another one it won t read either saying quot The system cannot read from the specified device quot just before it finishes reading Examining the problem floppy the sliding metal cover is very stiff and won t spring back closed I ve tried putting the floppy into the drive with the cover already retracted but no difference Two questions if I may Is it possible to remove the sliding cover completely and would that make it readable When feeding the floppies into Backup Faulty Floppy/Backup to make a restore catalogue can I miss out this floppy and go onto the next one and restore everything bar what Faulty Floppy/Backup s on the problem one Please don t bother telling me to change to CD-RW etc a good idea for the future but it won t help me with this one nbsp

A:Faulty Floppy/Backup

You might be able to save what's on the other floppies and then run sfc if it lets you, or reinstall windows over what's restored.. Maybe the floppy that's bad just has your old IE cache or something unneeded on it. I'd reinstall windows over what I can restore with the floppies. I wouldn't remove the metal covers at all..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-floppy-backup.120827/
Relevancy 61.06%

The computer recognizes the floppy drive and all of the functions work fine, however will not boot from the floppy drive. I checked the Bios settings and the first boot drive is the CD Rom, second boot device is removeable devices and the third boot device is the hard drive. I did not change the setting in the bios. Should the floppy be the first boot device? If so would it be under the heading of removeable devices in the bios settings?

I running Win98SE on a 400Mhz,PII,384MB Ram,SBPCI 64v,56k modem, with 5 drive incl the floppy and hard drive.

Relevancy 60.2%

I had a problem connecting to the internet with my other computer no matter the configuration resetting opening ports nothing worked It would NOT connect to the internet or recieve packets or anything I even opened EVERY port I already posted on this site and didn t get boot with How no drive DOS floppy in Mode I can help with that so I decided to take a new action I got a windows pro disc and I want to put that on the problem computer with XP and I think that should work while XP won t And now I have another problem my computer has no option to boot in dos mode I have safe mode with command prompt but that still loads windows How can I boot in DOS Mode with no floppy drive I also have no floppy How can I boot in DOS Mode with no floppy drive on the problem computer so I can t get a boot disk I was wondering if theres some special way I can do this or install it without needing to be in DOS mode or helping me get into DOS mode I have windows and XP on this one I m using came installed got Xp and that wasn t working right so I got and installed that so I got into dos mode very easily Can someone help me nbsp

Relevancy 60.2%

Hi y'all, I've completely modded my CPU and removed the floppy and the drive cable from the motherboard. Upon boot-up XP Pro searches for floppy drive, how do I, or should I say... what do I need to do in order for the computer to forget that there's no more floppy connected? I'd also like to setup so that when booting up it would first search for XP cd-rom?
Please help?

A:Removed floppy drive, how do I boot-up cd-rom ?

change your boot options in bios setup. first you would set boot order to cd then hdd. then you would set your floppy to none. since bios's are different and doing this is different from one to another you would have to use your systems proceedures. But the basics arethe same. then save and exit bios setup.

during start up it isnt XP that searches for the floppy it is the bios that does this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removed-floppy-drive-how-do-i-boot-up-cd-rom.362553/
Relevancy 60.2%

I Can't Get My Pc To Do Anything, Error Says Reinsert Floppy And Hit Any Key. It Is Windows 98. I Can't Even Get To Safe Boot! I Am Not Very Good With Computers. This Pc Belonged To My Son Shane And He Passed Away In Dec. Of 2005 And I Want To See What I Can Save Of His, This Means Sooo Much To Me. He Was Teaching Me About Computers Before He Got Sick.

Thanks So Much

A:Boot Problem- Floppy Drive

If y have a firend with a computer then you can take the hard drive from that one and install it as a slave drive in the other computer. You should then be able to access any files that are on the drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-problem-floppy-drive.55214/
Relevancy 60.2%

My friend recently built a computer. During the build, he encountered a bunch of problems concerning the hard drive and other IDE drives.

Well, he fixed the hard drive problem (sort of), and was able to install XPpro. However, it takes much longer than normal to boot up, probably 3-4 minutes.
Also his computer isn't recognizing his floppy drive, or more specifically, the floppy drive doesn't recognize when a disk is inserted.

He is using an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe mobo.

Any help would be appreciated.

A:Floppy drive/boot problems.

First make sure the floppy drive cable is proper installed. Is a common cause. You can get it in backwards. If the LED is on all the time, the cable is incorrectly installed for sure.

Next ensure the floppy drive is properly setup / selected in the BIOS. See what XP says about the floppy in the control panel dianogistics. Does it recognize the drive is there or is it saying it has failed??? A lot of times it is also a bad floppy drive, all the modern ones are crap and many don't work right out of the box, especially with XP. Can try swapping in another floppy drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/floppy-drive-boot-problems.320205/
Relevancy 60.2%

I'm trying to repair my XP which is booting repeatedly from the flash screen, in doing so,
I attempted to boot from floppies, but in selecting the boot device, I'm not finding the Floppy drive.
I see my hard drive with the OS and my CD drive, and (Removable Dev.)
Beneath are arrows apparently pointing to other devices with options to "press enter"

I assume its some kind of menu, but have no idea how to access my floppy drive.

Would highly appreciate any help offered.

Thanks!

Relevancy 60.2%

My system Home built Windows XP Pro Abit AN motherboard AMD Athlon XP gig DDR RAM gig Seagate HD gig WD HD DVD-RW DVD-ROM ATI RADEON DV AIW Creative Audigy Antec or or from cd drive Can't hard boot floppy! watt True Power PSU A few days ago I started having problems when I would reboot It would take several tries before I could Can't boot from cd or hard drive or floppy! boot into XP It kept getting worse until I could not longer boot into XP at all The video would corrupt vertical stripes and then it would freeze Well I thought maybe I had a virus so I tried to boot from a KNOPPIX Live Linux CD and it did the same thing I then thought maybe it was the video card or the drivers so I tried the card in another computer and it worked fine Then I thought maybe the motherboard was bad so I replaced it with a new ABIT AN I had a Gigabyte board before Even after replacing the MB I still cannot boot from the hard drive or cd although the video is no longer corrupted I have also tried disconnecting everything and trying different memory to no avail The POST is fine and I can get into the BIOS fine it s after that when the trouble starts When I try to boot from the cd or hard drive it will start to load even taking me to the XP safe mode menu but no matter what selection I make it will hang once it starts to load Same thing with the KNOPPIX CD and with MANDRAKE MOVE live CD I tried disconnecting the HD s and just boot from the CD still doesn t work I have tried to reinstall XP but it will do the initial driver and file install and hang before it get to the user agreement screen Any suggestions Could it be the CPU Please help nbsp

A:Can't boot from cd or hard drive or floppy!

Welcome to TechSpot
When you change motherboards, you will have to re-install from scratch. It will never start your old Windows from a new mobo.
Your new mobo may also need a BIOS-update to recognize harddisks of that size.
In either case, take the Audigy card out, then try again. When asked for SCSI-drivers etc. you may need to press F6 and install special drivers for those HDs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-boot-from-cd-or-hard-drive-or-floppy.20762/
Relevancy 60.2%

I replaced my Seagate GB C D partioned drive with a new WD GB C D partioned drive I boot up Drive for during Searching Floppy a used HD Clone to copy the old drive to the new Searching for a Floppy Drive during boot up drive The old C drive F is now a single partition used just a secondary storage CD R W drive is E There is no floppy drive However now when booting up I get a halt saying cant find the floppy drive the msg say F to Continue F to Use Config Utility and CNTL-I for something else CNTL-I does nothing I do not see anywhere I can tell the system there is no floppy Maybe the system is confused because my external Seagate Flash and WD Book drives are muddying the water I must also say using Disk Management tools shows phantom drives and CD ROMs that do not exist I ve not messed with Disk Managment tools much and this config seems to be messed up Any ideas Win Home Prem Dell Dimension E And the system seems to be running normally But I do not like having loose ends Many thanx Bob

A:Searching for a Floppy Drive during boot up

Hello skimer. You will need to enter the BIOS setup using F2.

The user manual advises:

"Entering System Setup
1 Turn on (or restart) your computer.
2 When the blue DELL? logo is displayed, you must watch for the F2 prompt to appear.
3 Once this F2 prompt appears, press <F2> immediately.

NOTE:
The F2 prompt indicates that the keyboard has initialized. This prompt can appear very quickly, so you must
watch for it to display, and then press <F2>. If you press <F2> before you are prompted, this keystroke will be lost.
4 If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the
Microsoft? Windows? desktop. Then, shut down your computer and try again."

On the setup screen, you can use the up/down arrows to select Diskette Drive, Enter to modify the setting to Off (the default is Internal). Esc exits the setup.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/351077/searching-for-a-floppy-drive-during-boot-up/
Relevancy 60.2%

So I had gotten up this morning and was on my failure failure? Drive Hard or Boot computer fine and dandy for a couple Hard Drive failure or Boot failure? of hours and left for class at around PM When I return at around I turn on my monitor and there s a blinking underscore on the top right of my screen I went ahead and made a startup repair disc for Windows but it could not find anything wrong with the system I then went into the ACER factory settings utility on the same disc and both options gt Completely Restore System to Factory Defaults Restore your PC to factory default status All data on C drive will be deleted gt Restore Operating System and Retain User Data Restore only the operating system of your PC to the factory defaults Files from your user accounts will be transferred to C Backup This option will not remove persistent viruses or malware Are grayed out I assumed that this could only be because it wasn t detecting my hard drive I went into the setup menu in the BIOS and I see gt IDE Primary Master Not Detected gt IDE Primary Slave Not Detected gt SATA Not Detected gt SATA Not Detected However when I start up the computer it says it s automatically detecting my SATA drives I honestly have no idea what the difference between IDE and SATA mean or if my computer not detecting the IDE drives even means anything Maybe I never had IDE drives I am a total noob in the hardware department Any help would be much appreciated Thanks Goomba

A:Hard Drive failure or Boot failure?

Please post the complete computer model,details or specs. next time. Did you try loading default settings in your BIOS configuration?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/446035/hard-drive-failure-or-boot-failure/
Relevancy 60.2%

I was preparing my Dell Dimension 8400 for a clean installation of Windows XP Home Edition; I checked the Dell site for BIOS upgrades (as recommended) and downloaded an available upgrade. Problems began when I tried to change the boot sequence in order to boot from the cd.

PHP:

On bootup, the Dell logo screen appears and goes to a 'dos-like' screen advising: Floppy diskette seek failure, strike F1 key to continue or F2 to run Setup Utility'.
Neither of these keys have any effect and the computer does not respond. I have the required disks and have tried every combination I can think of.

Can any one offer some help?

Tevbev

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-dimension-8400-wont-boot-floppy-diskette-seek-failure.726675/
Relevancy 59.77%

I was having no problems with my WIN7 X64 bit till I plugged in a USB floppy and copied some photos to the hard drive. The windows portion of the boot went to approx 5 times what it was. I have disabled all the boot devices except the hard drive and have uninstalled the driver that WIN7 installed when I plugged in the floppy. Runs fine after the boot. Any ideas ? Thanks in advance.

A:WIN7 x64 boot slow after using USB Floppy drive

I would expect the boot time to be longer when the USB floppy drive was plugged in but are you saying the the boot time was still longer when the USB floppy was unplugged? (before uninstalling the drivers etc.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/219433-win7-x64-boot-slow-after-using-usb-floppy-drive.html
Relevancy 58.91%

It would appear From Boot Drive Wont Cd/floppy/hard System the BIOS was haning up on the MBR of the hard drive I disconnected the hard drive and rebooted I could boot off of the CDROM or the floppy I then reconnected the hard drive I am repartitioning the hard drive and rformatting The MBR will be re-written after partitioning I was attempting to make a multi-boot system The system originally came with System Wont Boot From Cd/floppy/hard Drive WINXP Home I re-partitioned the hard drive and installed WIN Now the system freezes The lights on the keyboard blink once POST is completing I can access the BIOS setup and change things I have changed the boot order several times but the system does not even check the floppy or the CDROM drives I reset the BIOS to defaults with no change I reset the BIOS removed the battery and still no change I configured the BIOS to check memory and display this check This change is innitiated and saved After memory check it recognizes the CD Roms Then it hangs up with just a curser in the upper left hand corner of the screen I an running an HP Pavilion originally came with WIN XP HOME Pent Ghz nbsp

A:System Wont Boot From Cd/floppy/hard Drive

chekc bios for quiet boot settings or anything that disables boot commands such as fast boot or hides processes behind splash screens. In Win98 hit the esc key just after reboot to see where the system hangs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-wont-boot-from-cd-floppy-hard-drive.109401/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello there. I am kind of experimentator and wanted to try out booting from MS-DOS install floppy to my Windows 7 machine. It really started with the MS-DOS boot and the install screen shown up. I exited MS-DOS installation and tried to access the C: drive where I have Windows 7 installed. But it says Invalid drive specification. Do I need to mount the drive first? How to do it temporarily without losing all the data on the drive? I want to use true MS-DOS boot to quick lookup for files on my machine...

A:Boot from MS-DOS install floppy can't access Windows 7 C: drive

Hi Polda18,

Welcome to SevenForums where you can find old DOS users and floppy users. ( I still have an FDD on my desktop and loads of floppy disks)

You won't be able to access NTFS volumes with MS-DOS. Google "dos ntfs" if you want full read/write access to NTFS volumes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/398367-boot-ms-dos-install-floppy-cant-access-windows-7-c-drive.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi i have a Dell xps that i purchased in got a message on a black screen saying quot Keyboard failure quot Floppy diskette failure press F to continue or F to run SETUP I cant do either since my keyboard and mouse will not work on my pc but will work on another pc MAC Tried using a ps keyboard and mouse with a converter still no floppy failure, keyboard failure, diskette luck I also took the battery out and held the power button for seconds after also did the keyboard failure, floppy diskette failure, RTCRST jumper reset on CMOS still no success After replacing the lithuim battery more messages popped up along with the keyboard and floppy Alert previous fan failure Alert System battery voltage is low Invalid configuration information-please run SETUP program Please help me figure out what is wrong with my desktop i have alot of info on there that i cant afford to loose that is why im trying to restore to satisfactory condition Thank you in advance Hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving

A:keyboard failure, floppy diskette failure,

Since this is happening during POST, I'd say that your mobo is bad. Since your keyboard works on a different computer, that's definitely not the issue. Here's what I'd do:

1) Remove all components that don't need to be there (i.e. RAM, floppy drive, NIC (if it's not integrated), CD/DVD drive(s), and any non-essential PCI cards

2) Boot the PC.

If it makes it past POST without error,

3) Start reintroducing components one by one. Booting each time to see if it still passes POST error free.

If not, I'd say that your mobo is definitely dead.

[edit - Be sure to power off and unplug the PC when removing and reinstalling components.]

Once you find the bad component, you know what to replace. Or it could be that one of the components, such as the RAM, just needed to be reseated.

Let me know how this goes.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/keyboard-failure-floppy-diskette-failure-531434.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi, I was trying to install an extra 1GB ram stick into my brother's foxconn K7S741MG-6L (he had 1GB already) and the motherboard detected both sticks as 1.5GB and then it said that the floppy disk wasn't connected, so I went to the BIOS and disabled the floppy drive and now the mobo won't go past the logo screen and it freezes. I've tried changing the ram to other sticks but the same thing happens.

Can anybody help me because this is my brother's computer and he doesn't know that it is not working.

Thanks

A:Foxconn K7S741MG-6L doesn't boot after installing RAM and disabling floppy drive

Have you tried going back to only 1 GB?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/foxconn-k7s741mg-6l-doesnt-boot-after-installing-ram-and-disabling-floppy-drive.74671/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hey guys I used one of my friends pen drive on my pc and while browsing the pen drive My avira picked up a trojan alert and i moved all the threats to quarantine and restarted my pc After the reboot Taskmanager Mscofig regedit firefox chrome are all not working opening Ctrl alt a in... second floppy wowexec.exe is stopping floppy and has no for without light drive continuosly even when flickering even been delete had been disabled and my floppy disk drive wowexec.exe and floppy drive light is continuosly flickering without even stopping for a second even when no floppy has been in... kept flickering continously Internet explorer was the only browser that was working But whenever i searched quot regedit crashing quot in google IE too crashed When i restart the System in normal mode these are the problems that i have When ever i try to open firefox chrome by double clicking the cursor loads for a second and then nothing happens Some times it reports a error message about a -bit memory usage I didn t read this error properly because it appeared only once My floppy disk drive light keeps flickering without a seconds pause and makes weird noises -----HI SORRY FOR EDITING BUT I FOUND THE SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM I USED MALWARE BYTES ANTI-MALWARE FREE TO REMOVE MALWARE FROM MY PC AND IT WORKED ----- THANKS TO ELISE WHO TROUBLESHOOTED THE SAME PROBLEM IN ANOTHER THREAD

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/341669/wowexecexe-and-floppy-drive-light-is-continuosly-flickering-without-even-stopping-for-a-second-even-when-no-floppy-has-been-inserted/
Relevancy 56.33%

Ok I have a self-built computer it's a year old just a few days ago Win XP SP I think Intel Quad-Core ghz OCed to ghz RAM gb gb detected HDD- Western Digital Floppy floppy I drive..no Disk [SOLVED] no Fail(40)...but have startup GB and not sure which company could be Maxtor GB [SOLVED] Floppy Disk Fail(40)...but I have no floppy drive..no startup SATA GT mb Video Card I have an IDE drive on there too with an Apple OSX installed on it but I've been hunting viruses and trojans due to a backdoor trojan that for the last few days and elimintated most of them including the backdoor I was running a 'thourough' scan today while I was [SOLVED] Floppy Disk Fail(40)...but I have no floppy drive..no startup at school as well as downloading some things MY anti-virus program is avast Thinking my comps quad-core ghz could handle the load I turned on Company of Heroes while all this was running the comp froze I restarted manually The first screen I got is the usual one except under SATA Channel listings it said Floppy disk s fail I don't have a floppy drive Then when I press F to continue it doesn't load up my main hardrive where Windows is installed Like it doesn't detect it it only detects the IDE drive with Apple on it and can start it up Don't ask me how I have an Apple OS on my comp the answer might violate the forums rules but that OS isn't the problem Somehow the anti-virus scan mixed with downloading and a video game crash messed things up Even F doesn't work

A:[SOLVED] Floppy Disk Fail(40)...but I have no floppy drive..no startup

The BIOS was reset to default values. Enter the BIOS at startup and change the boot order priority to the sata hdd first. Locate the screen with the setting for the floppy drive and set that drive to disabled or none. If there's a setting called halt on disk errors change it to "no errors but keyboard" or something like that. Once you're back within windows run chkdsk c: /R to correct errors in the file system caused by the hard restart (answer y when prompted to schedule the scan at next startup and restart the computer).

What's the brand, model and wattage of your power supply ? The freezing wasn't necessarily caused by the antivirus, could have been caused by an underpowered power supply. With an overclocked quad core and a 8800GT you need a quality 700W+ supply. Locate the hardware monitor screen in the BIOS and report your temps, fan speeds and voltages.

Quote:

Don't ask me how I have an Apple OS on my comp the answer might violate the forums rules...but that OS isn't the problem.

Actually mentioning it already violates the forum rules. Please read them if you didn't already : http://www.techsupportforum.com/rules.php. Also read this. I'll pass this time cause it's your first post but I'll have to issue an official warning next time.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-floppy-disk-fail-40-but-i-have-no-floppy-drive-no-startup-338364.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello All,

I just replaced the power supply in an old tower with Windows XP and it is asking to boot from the A: drive floppy. All cabling seems to be installed correctly but I don't know how to get it to boot off the hard drive. The PC has been unplugged for about 2 months and I have no idea if the MB or HD were lost when the PS went out.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Relevancy 55.9%

Hey. I have just built my first computer from scratch and everything seems to be in working order except when i turn it on i get the Disk boot failure msg. I have a Western Digital caviar SE 16. It uses S-ATA connectors. Never built a computer using them before. currently i have it plugged into port 1 on the S-ATA II connectors on my motherboard and have the jumpers set in 1 and 2. I have BIOS set to check CD then Hard Drive in that order. So i start my comp with XP Home with SP 2 in the CD drive and i get the Disk boot failure. I have never formatted the hardrive so i dont know if that could be part of the problem and the CD drive doesn't show up in BIOS and i have it plugged into the IDE port 3.

If ne1 could shed sum light on the subject that would b sweet thx.

A:Disk boot failure while trying to boot from CD drive w/ XP

did you load your sata drivers? Some motherboards don't automatically detect SATA.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/disk-boot-failure-while-trying-to-boot-from-cd-drive-w-xp.39218/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi I m trying to install Windows XP Pro SP on my Compaq CQ - NR laptop I use this laptop for work It came with Windows Home Premium During the past few days a computer on our company s network was infected with a virus It spread to our company s network drive NAS and infected many of the files When I used my computer to access the network drive the virus infected my computer and for some floppy drivers drive? URGENT! F6 without Solved: floppy reason AVG wasn t able to detect the virus until it was too late I T has restored the network drive from a backup and all ordered everyone to restore from a clean backup or reinstall Windows I have made backups before but they were stored on the computer s hard drive and I T says the backups may be infected so I can not use them It s been a long time since the warranty expired HP doesn t want to let me order recovery media Then I made a dumb move and deleted the Windows partition hoping to be able to install Windows XP But there was a problem with that If I simply boot from the installation CD a BSoD STOP appears After some research I found out this is Solved: URGENT! F6 floppy drivers without floppy drive? because my laptop s hard drive has AHCI and there is no option in the BIOS InsydeH Rev to disable it I read somewhere that I can either use a floppy drive to load the AHCI drivers before installation or slipstream the ISO install CD and add the AHCI drivers to the list of drivers that come built-in Since I m trying to install Windows XP on a laptop I can t easily add an internal floppy drive and I m not willing to buy a USB floppy drive that I m only going to use once Nobody I know has a USB floppy drive so this solution won t work I have tried slipstreaming the ISO and the installation CD I have both with drivers from Intel s website Now I have a slipstreamed ISO but the problem is I don t know for sure whether not I slipstreamed it correctly and I don t want to waste a CD I tried to make a bootable USB flash drive with the slipstreamed ISO but couldn t boot from it Is there any way I can use the F floppy drivers without a floppy or burning a CD Anyone who knows please reply ASAP I use this laptop for work and need it working by this Monday February Otherwise I will have to resort to buying a new laptop nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

Hi All Here is the low down I cant boot into any OS I formatted my PC and figured that after installing XP i d dual boot Ubuntu So all went well XP and Ubuntu installed as anticipated i could access both OS for a couple of hours When i was in Ubuntu i was trying to change my primary monitor quot to have the toolbar instead of my quot I went on Ubuntu forums to see what had to be done and i needed to reboot for the changes to take effect After i rebooted it didn t list any of my hard drives gb floppy disk(s) no floppy fail drive installed? (40)...but raptor tb Samsung or my Asus DVD CD drive My motherboard Nvidia I stated F which floppy disk(s) fail (40)...but no floppy drive installed? only says in the manual as quot Check POST error and display them and ask user intervention quot Well the lovely post error comes up as floppy disk s fail Click floppy disk(s) fail (40)...but no floppy drive installed? to expand floppy disk s fail Real helpful right And considering i have NO floppy drive its a custom built PC And i have two options F to continue and DEL for BIOS I checked BIOS first reset to default removed floppy drive from the boot menu floppy disk(s) fail (40)...but no floppy drive installed? rebooted same issue Hit F to continue now and the only bootable option is the NVIDIA Boot Agent and comes up with this NVIDIA BOOT AGENT PXE-E MEDIA TEST FAILURE CHECK CABLE PXE-M F EXITING NVIDIA BOOT AGENTClick to expand This goes on a continuous loop failing every time I ve checked all cables and it all seems fine Now i cant even access my CD DVD drive completely disabled which means i can t even use a recovery disk or what have you I am very doubtful its my hard drive i leaning towards a boot issue But i don t really know how i can even approach this Any other ideas Thank you in advance for your contribution nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/floppy-disk-s-fail-40-but-no-floppy-drive-installed.859634/
Relevancy 55.9%

I'm trying to build my first computer and I think I've got things setup right, but whenever I try to boot up I get the a message on the screen saying Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40). The Problem is that I don't have a floppy drive and my computer only gives me about one to five secs. (depending how long I wait between boot attempts) to get into the BIOS and try to do anything. the motherboard I am working with is a EVGA nForce 680i SLI motherboard and it uses Pheonix-Award BIOS. Thanks in advance for any help.

A:Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40) error but I don't have a floppy drive

You need to get into the BIOS and Disable Floppy drives. It should be on the same screen as the basic set-up.
Also take it out of the Boot sequence.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/floppy-disk-s-fail-40-error-but-i-dont-have-a-floppy-drive.579977/
Relevancy 55.9%

I recently built a system with an Intel 955 Motherboard. All is well, except for one curious thing - the floppy drive activity light is always on, from the moment of startup, even before WinXP loads, and the system can't read a floppy. It just keeps requesting that I insert a floppy into my a: drive. It does not sound like the floppy spindle is running, and there are no solenoid-like clicks when I insert the floppy as though the system is trying to read it, just the mechanical "snap" of the eject spring.

Any thoughts? Did I miss something in BIOS? I tried 2 different, brand-new floppy drives and they both act the same way. I've never encountered this before.

A:Floppy Drive Power Light Always On, Can't Read Floppy

The chances are, you`ve not installed the floppy drive/cable correctly.

Look Here for floppy drive installation instructions.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/floppy-drive-power-light-always-on-cant-read-floppy.42117/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello TSG Just yesterday I was using the computer normally until I got a Blue Screen Getting a blue screen is usually something normal that occurs to my every so often so I didn t mind it and rebooted the computer normally Disk not 1 Solved: found" and problem "Drive "Floppy Failure" However I got two more blue screens within the next hour The rd time rebooting my computer starts to act strange as if it had a virus Upon powering up the monitor would just display a black screen with two lines about something --- which I don t remember sorry --- and stayed like that unless I plugged out the power cord or held on the power button to shut down Then when after a few tries it boots and displays a message quot Floppy Disk Failure quot and quot Drive not found Serial ATA SATA- quot and the same message for Drives and show up Also it asks me to continue loading by pressing the F Key When Windows loads the first time it displays a message saying a bunch of hardware has just been installed and ready for use Also Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem my internal clock resetted itself back to Monday November Which if I recall is the date when I got the computer and my speakers do not work TL Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem DR Version Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem blue screens within a short time Floppy disk fail Drivers - not found Serial ATA SATA- - Anyway I browsed through Google but I haven t seen anyone with both problems I disabled my Floppy Disk Drive and that message doesn t show up anymore but the others do and my computer still isn t fixed I ran a virus scan over night but I woke up to a black screen I use avast Antivirus with COMODO Firewall Is this a virus Is this because my hardware is old Here are the Specs Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R D CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon X X X Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc X CN G WL Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Hi again - I posted the other day telling about how a usb cable palm pilot shorted out my mobo It wasn t the psu as first suspected I replaced the mobo and rebuilt the system I reloaded windows today and had no problem logging on but when the windows cd was removed I was unable to During boot up I get the error message about having a boot disc failure Now I reformatted the virtual C drive but not the virtual D drive on the same hard drive - is this a problem It doesn t seem as though there is a failure as I m able to log on to windows with the cd in place I changed the bios settings as needed only choosing the hard disk as boot disc Do I need to reformat the entire physical drive and reload windows again Not sure where to go at this point Thanks again for the help the other day it was appreciated nbsp

A:So now I have a boot drive failure

"I reformatted the virtual C drive...

I really don't think you mean "virtual" drives. You can't boot into Windows using a "virtual" drive. Virtual hard drives are software images, that can only be accessed inside Windows after Windows has loaded.

Can you read and follow the instructions that are in RED at the bottom of my posts?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/so-now-i-have-a-boot-drive-failure.89609/
Relevancy 55.04%

I am trying to get into one of my foppy disk as it has some files on it that I am trying to look at. everytime I put my disk into the floppy (A) drive and try to load the files on it I get a error message saying disk drive A is not formatted and when I click on yes to format the disk it says my information will be erased of the disk if I do so I didn't try it however I tried to load another disk with nothing on it and I tired to reformat it but it didn't reformat it(I forget what It said). how can I get my floppy disk to load my files to where I can pull up the Microsoft word documents that I have on them? what is wrong with my floppy drive?

A:floppy drive won't format floppy disk

The disks are probably corrupted. You can try and recover the files off of them using BadCopy Pro - Floppy Disk, CD, DVD and Digital Media Data Recovery Software

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/floppy-drive-wont-format-floppy-disk-688807.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I want to copy files I have on floppy to a cd, problem is I don't have a floppy drive on my new laptop and no cd burner on old pc which is running 98se.

how do I connect these pc together to use my burner on one pc to copy off a drive from another, if at all possible.

A:make floppy copy with no floppy drive

Hook the PC with the flopy drive up to your internet connection and e-mail it to yourself...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/make-floppy-copy-with-no-floppy-drive.482172/
Relevancy 55.04%

I think I have an easy enough question. I recently got a used Sony Digital Mavica, MVC-FD73 (easily googled Amazon review available for detail at the following address:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000JYLO/104-5712612-3771949?v=glance )

from a friend and see here that it saves to floppy discs. That's all fine and dandy, but my new computer has no floppy drive.

I am not well educated on the USB floppy connection materials... could someone please provide me with tips for buying an external floppy drive? I have no open bays left on my PC for an internal one.

Thank you for reading.

A:Solved: Floppy Required, but no floppy drive!

I have an Imation external USB floopy drive, it works great and I highly recommend it, here is one link to this type of drive: http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail~dpno~303054.asp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-floppy-required-but-no-floppy-drive.357623/
Relevancy 54.61%

There's a bit of a story Drive Repeated Failure Boot behind this problem so bear with me nbsp At the end of the spring semester I turned off my laptop and put it on the shelf Having a desktop and no real reason to use Repeated Boot Drive Failure the laptop it sat up there for a couple months When I took it down and powered it up I got this message Boot drive not found It seemed pretty straightforward so I ordered a new drive A Samsung Evo SSD and installed it with a fresh copy of Windows Everything was working fine so I started replacing the drivers I'd lost in the reinstall and left the computer running to install them nbsp nbsp Imagine my surprise when minutes later I come back to see my PC attempted to restart and is now Repeated Boot Drive Failure displaying the Boot device not found error this time accompanied by intermittent crackling on my speakers nbsp nbsp My question then is what could cause drives in a row to either A Fail or B not be recognised by my computer nbsp I look forward to your responses

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Repeated-Boot-Drive-Failure/td-p/5722749
Relevancy 54.61%

When ever I boot up or restart the pc a screen comes up with the following

Diskette drive 0 seek failure
Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup.

F1 starts the pc correctly, F2 takes you into the Bios setup.

How do I get the pc to boot correctly withuut this screen.

A:Diskette drive 0 boot failure

Get into the bios and see if there is a setting to turn off "floppy seek".

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/diskette-drive-0-boot-failure-407074.html
Relevancy 54.61%

SAMSUNG HD HJ GB HDD with Windows recently stopped booting I would power on my computer and it would go to the Windows Flag welcome screen and from there go to a black screen with a movable cursor I would then reboot and Boot Drive Failure Hard it would take me to the selection of Start-up Repair or Launch Windows Normally Start-up Repair would say quot Loading files quot the bar would fill up and Hard Drive Boot Failure I d go back to the selection I ve been running my destkop off of a laptop hard drive this past week and it runs Ubuntu I d be OK with my hard drive being unusable from here on out if I could get back my files I have GB of stuff on that hard drive and about I want back I have an external Hard Drive Boot Failure hard drive but did not back up my files I also recently purchased the Ultimate Boot Disc Hard Drive Boot Failure from Brandtech I tried TestDisk and PhotoRec with no luck Currently I can mount my HDD I can see files but there are only GB s free and I can only see about GB of stuff - none of it my data The HDD tests come up clean and healthy as well Any help at all would be very appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 54.61%

I'll try to summarize the events leading up to my problem as best I can.

I have two hard drives. I tried installing Windows Vista Business on the first one to use in a dual-boot configuration with Windows XP which was on the second hard drive. Well, the Vista installation worked fine, but when I went to boot into XP, I found Vista's boot loader hadn't recognized Windows XP. Clearly frustrated, I tried several different things until I finally decided to format the first hard drive. It was horrible I lost my entire data from the Hard drive. Vista made my data vanish. I hate it. I tried using repair tool and many recovery software, but it did not work. Please help me out.

A:Failure To Boot From Hard Drive

There are several nice tools for working with Vista's boot manager that are available for free. I use EasyBCD and Vista Boot Pro.

The XP should still be available on the second hard drive - and if so, you can use the Recovery Console to rebuild the boot sector of your first drive. Use these commands once you're into the Recovery Console:

fixboot
fixmbr
bootcfg /rebuild

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/82377/failure-to-boot-from-hard-drive/
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a Biostar GeForce -M motherboard I am trying to boot my PC from a USB flash drive aka pen drive thumb drive etc In every instance the BIOS recognizes the USB drive I set the boot order to boot off the drive and it will hang at quot Verifying DMI Pool Data quot I have tried this with three different devices -SanDisk U Cruzer Mico GB -SanDisk Shoot amp Store Memory Card MB -PNY Attache GB Obviously the U system was not installed on the drive at the time since I refformatted the drive while making it bootable I have also tried numerous methods and programs while making it bootable including HP Drive Key Bott Util and PE USB I have tried booting WinXp from all three drives and I have installed versions of DOS NTFS DOS and BartPE on them I get the same problem every time since I know that at the least it is possible to Boot Flash Drive USB Failure from to boot from Failure to Boot from USB Flash Drive the PNY drive I also know that both the programs mentioned above HP Drive Key Boot Util and PE USB work This rules out the possibility that I made a mistake when making one the drives bootable Also I have updated the BIOS to no avail I still get thesame results Concerning the motherboard I have read in reviews that people could not get this particular model to boot from USB but I figure it should be possible nbsp

A:Failure to Boot from USB Flash Drive

"I have read in reviews that people could not get this particular model to boot from USB, but I figure it should be possible"...

You might have already proved that this statement is not true

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failure-to-boot-from-usb-flash-drive.125676/
Relevancy 54.61%

My laptop which was my dad s old office laptop recently crashed One Won't Boot: Hard XP drive failure? day when I turned it on a blue screen popped up and said there were a corrupt file or something So I decided to reformat using a Windows XP cd XP Won't Boot: Hard drive failure? and for some reason it kept getting stuck on so I just left it on and it eventually hit and completed After everything was done I turned it back and after the first Dell Screen bootup the screen goes blank for seconds then a a line of white vertical lines show up at the bottom looking at though something is loading and it eventually finishes after a minute or two Next the XP Bootup Screen comes up and begins to load but then the screen goes blank again The screen stays blank for a while then a blue screen pops up and reads quot STOP x BAD IMAGE CHECKSUM The image SHDOCVW dll is possibly corrupt The header checksum does not match the computed checksum quot I m afraid to take this to the Geek Squad and pay hundreds of dollars for something thats maybe simple Any help would be great Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

A while ago my hard-drive was filling up with random data that i couldn't seem to locate, and i assumed that the hard drive may have been knocked or the connection was faulty. however, upon taking the hard drive out and putting it back in, it wont even let me get past the 'starting windows' screen. I'm pretty scared as this was quite expensive and it would be such a shame to lose the entire computer. can anyone help? many thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-wont-boot-hard-drive-failure.1157834/
Relevancy 53.75%

Is it possible to fix my boot disk problem on a computer that does not have a CD drive?

I have an Acer laptop running Windows 7. The computer froze up and I had to force power it down. Upon restarting, I got the "boot disk failure" message and the machine was making strange "clicking" noises.The answers to boot disk failure problems that I've read so far include inserting a CD-ROM into the computer with the failure.

Is there a solution that does not require a CD drive?

A:Boot disk failure on a computer w/no CD drive

you could get an external cd/dvd drive, but that clicking noise you hear usually signals the death of your hard drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/150049-boot-disk-failure-computer-w-no-cd-drive.html
Relevancy 53.75%

i borrowed my friends hard drive to copy some files and put it on the same IDE cable as my primary boot drive, there were no jumpers on the drive so i was not able to set it to slave mode. when i booted the machine up with both drives it threw the error BOOT FAILURE: SYSTEM HALTED and when i took the other drive off it still does this, what did I do? im running windows XP pro if that matters.

thanks
VIc

A:boot failure after hard drive swap

Your method won't work because your buddy's hard drive probably has different drivers loaded into the registry because his CPU's chipset and mother board are likely different from yours.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-failure-after-hard-drive-swap.98467/
Relevancy 53.75%

system disk - SATA raptor
data disk 1 - PATA Seagate barracuda (master)
data disk 2 - PATA IBM (slave)
DVD-drive (master)
CD-drive (slave)

I have a very strange problem. When I try to boot to windows xp with my raptor SATA hard drive, I get DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK unless I have the boot sequence set so that the cdrom is before the SATA device, and the windows xp cdrom MUST be in the drive for it to boot. If I take out the cdrom, i get the error. I tried setting the sata as the only boot device in BIOS, etc etc..nothing seems to work. It will ONLY work if the windows xp cdrom is in the drive and the cdrom is set to boot before the SATA device.

Help!

A:Boot disk failure unless WinXP CD is in drive

I believe what you need to do is set the boot sequence to A(floppy), C(Or whatever partion windows is installed on), then SATA.

Give it a try -- I remember having a similar problem myself.

~Nerd

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/boot-disk-failure-unless-winxp-cd-is-in-drive-14251.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hey there great men and boot BIOS Hard failure drive women of the bleeping computer forums Today my computer was BIOS Hard drive boot failure running perfectly fine every ran smoothly and all I was playing Borderlands and the game started to lag a little bit and I thought we'll that's normal so I just kept playing about a minute later the game froze all together the music was still playing but I couldn't do anything with the screen I tried alt tabbing nothing ctrl alt del still nothing tried ctrl shift esc nothing and alt f finally and nothing happened please note that I waited about a minute in between each command use so I just left it to sit there for a little an finally the game screen closed now what I saw on the desktop was crazy I have a dual monitor system and half of the right screen was pushed into the left screen and what was left of the right screen was all black and then parts of the the left screen were black but some icons were still showing and I could still move the mouse so I tried to scroll over the icons but not box came up around them and then I trie clicking and nothing happened so I ended up leaving it for ten minutes After wait the ten minutes I used the reboot button on the top of my computer and it rebooted normally to begin with and BIOS started up as per usual telling me that a the drivers were loading When suddenly my main hard drive said it couldn't boot and I think it's was my two smaller ghost drives that were connect to my main one would boot either so then the black screen came up saying to remove a media and disks an press any key to reboot so I took both CDs out of my cd drives and unplugged a my USB sticks and all and pressed any key to retry reboot as it asked me to but all it did was slowly put some dots on the screen and then said exactly the same thing So I rebooted it completely and the same thing happened so I just turned it off at the power point and now I am marking this post from my iPod Please help me because I do work school etc of my computer Thanks in advance Regards Erik

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/485571/bios-hard-drive-boot-failure/
Relevancy 53.75%

ok, I'll try to describe this the best I can

I have a Western digital HDD. When I start my computer it will tell me drive failure imminent, back up hard disk and have it replaced, F2 to continue. When I hit F2 I get a black screen and nothing happens. Now I've tried to put the HDD in my other computer (the one I'm using now) as a slave so I can run scan disk on it but heres the prob with that.

I start the second computer up, it does the IDE drive check and everything is fine, goes to the second load screen (where it shows bios info ect.) and stops on the WD HDD and won't do anything else.

thats the best I can explain it at this point. HELP!!!!

A:hard drive failure is imminent, won't boot

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It sounds to me like your hard drive has already failed.

It might be possible to revive your hard drive just long enough for you to get your data off of it.

Take a look at this article HERE

I can`t guarantee that this will work, but it may be worth a try.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-failure-is-imminent-wont-boot.34997/
Relevancy 53.75%

I've got a Dell desktop that will not boot, gives the message Drive 0 Seek Failure.

I was able to boot to a linux disk and copy files, so the drive is spinning. I ran the built in Dell hard drive diagnostics, the hard drive passed. I also ran the Hitachi Drive Fitness test, and it passed.

I assume maybe it just needs some repair to the boot sector? Any suggestions what to try next?

Thanks

A:Hard drive seek failure, does not boot

I've found now that if I press the F1 key after it gives the seek failure message, that it will then boot. My friend told me that it was a dual boot system. But I only see XP on it (and there is only one partition.)

When I open up Disk Management, it does not show a C: drive or system drive, only shows removable drives. And it continues to give the seek failure message.

Any suggestions what I need to do to get this back to normal?

Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/227377-hard-drive-seek-failure-does-not-boot.html
Relevancy 53.75%

....Hi please please can someone help. Can't access any files. Need it urgently as it has all my uni stuff and need it to submit before deadline. In tears please help.

A:Hard Drive Failure Windows 7 won't boot up

If it's a full on harddrive failure, then you're fu..dged. Are you sure it's a harddrive failure? Does it say anything on screen? Does it make any sounds? (if so be very specific about what kind)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/151979-hard-drive-failure-windows-7-wont-boot-up.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hiya I've recently installed windows RC on both my laptop and PC Installed from a bootable DVD from PC Authority magazine The laptop works absolutley fine no problems at all I installed it on the PC today all went fine The only unless Failure Win7 Boot DVD Disk drive in problem is when I reboot I get disk boot failure unless the bootable windows DVD is in the DVD drive The boot device priority must be set to CDROM first HDD second and once that's Disk Boot Failure unless Win7 DVD in drive the case windows boots just like normal It's fully activated etc etc and I can't for the life of me figure out why this would happen Requiring the boot CD every time just to start windows Oh and the HDD it's installed on is brand new just arrived today and like I say installed without incident runs without incident just needs the DVD to get going It's not the end of the world but it's a nuisence having to have the DVD in there every time I boot Any advice would be great Regards Paul an update I was reading around and it was suggested that I pop into disk management and make the c where win is installed quot active quot I did this rebooted and now I get BOOTMGR is missing instead I've tried a repair directly from the win DVD to no avail P a second update after running the repair from the DVD a second time it behaved differently to before Now all the error messages are gone it boots directly to windows without the DVD YAY hope this helps anyone else who comes across it P

A:Disk Boot Failure unless Win7 DVD in drive

For curiosity?s sake, did you have multiple hard drives on this machine?

I?ve seen an instance in XP where the system, boot, and active sections of the OS were on different partitions. I could get the system to boot if the XP cd was in the drive. I never ran across a fix other than reloading. As a rule now I always disconnect secondary drives when installing an OS.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/disk-boot-failure-unless-win7-dvd-in-drive-408887.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a USB hard drive that prevents the bootup process from starting. If I unplug it and reboot, the system boots normally. After booting the system, if I connect the USB hard drive the system sees the hard drive and I can read and write to it. I would like to attach the USB hard drive to my computer, boot the system, and have the system discover the hard drive and attach it so after the bootup process finishes I can read/write to the USB hard drive. What causes this not to happen?

KCav

A:Boot failure when I plug-in USB hard drive

Do you have your BIOS set to boot from USB. perhaps? That may cause the issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/383798-boot-failure-when-i-plug-usb-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I am having an issue booting my pc up It is a ibm thinkpad t It runs windows xp or at least it did until recently My first issue was the monitor it issues, failure? Boot possible hard drive just wouldnt start up so I attached it to a desktop monitor and when I turn it on the ibm logo appears then dissapears as it tries to Boot issues, possible hard drive failure? boot up windows it redirects me to a msg saying quot lt windows root gt system ntoskrnl exe please re-install a copy of the above file quot The pc was refurbished and did not come with any discs so I can not boot from disc I can enter the bios setup utility and reset the defaults but it doesnt change anything I have tried to boot up in safe mode to no avail it just redirects me to the same msg I have tried to restore to the last known good configuration and tried to use the directory services restore mode both redirecting me to the same msg Nothing is seeming to work Normally I can solve my pc issues with google and following others advice on what worked for them except this time I notice that although many ppl get the same msg as me most either have a boot disk or can still acces windows somehow and get into their control panel I am completely lost If this doesnt get resolved soon I might have to just put my laptop in the BBQ sauce and all I will literally eat this thing digestion problems or not i am getting that frustrated anyone that might be able to help can reply or email my hotmail seven-one thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply nbsp

A:Boot issues, possible hard drive failure?

tried a program called spotmau. it tried to replace the files, and now it is even worse i think. I am getting a different error msg. and now I cant even press f8 to get to the safe mode option. not that it worked before, but i found a different one to try and it wont boot up to it. it is called new multiboot dvd. both of these programs came reccomended i am still having issues..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-issues-possible-hard-drive-failure.146069/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a laptop that will not boot I get an error that says the SMART failure on the hard drive. Back up data and replace hard drive.

Small problem , I can not get into the computer to back up the data. Says to press F1 to continue then I have choices to start in Safe Mode ect. I tried Safe mode and get and error that the System32\drivers\Ntfs.sys is missing or corrupt. Insert Window start up disk and press r for recovery

I have tried this but nothing works The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite I was running Windows XP on it

Any ideas??? or is it toast any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Cookie

Relevancy 53.75%

Recently got over a number of problems with RAM and Such, got the computer the post successfully, however im having a problem with hard drives now.

I have a range of Hard drives, different makes, models and sizes, however when i went to use my main HDD the computer will post, then ask me to start windows normally, afterwards it will blue screen and restart the system.

At first i though it was a faulty hard drive so i removed it and tried another, same problem, and finally another brand new HDD and still the same BSOD Crash and restart.

Im just wondering if anyone had encountered this problem before, and if its something to do with the HDD's or another component.

Motherboard: ASRock G41M-GS
Hard Drives have all been IDE connector
1 GB Kingston RAM

Relevancy 53.75%

Hello,

Every time I try to turn on my PC, I get an error message at the BIOS start up screen saying FLOPPY DRIVE FAILURE (44).
I have altered the boot sequence to C only but i still get the Floppy message. I have also tried 2 different floppy drives, but still no boot up.
Is there a way to get my machine started?

Many thanks

Dave

Relevancy 53.75%

hello,

just a quick note, when i boot up my pc and when the post bios startup screen comes on the message "floppy disks fail (40)" message apprears, i then have the option to comtinue into windows by pressing F1. The floppy drive is detected in device manager and in my computer and apprears to be working.

yes..... i know this is a minor fault and i could remove my disconnect my floppy drive or disable it in the bios but wondered why this problem is occuring!

does anybody know why this is happening!

any helpful sugestions appriciated.

A:Floppy failure

Can Windows actually read floppies with that drive?

Maybe you hooked up the floppy cable wrong (often the plugs go in either way and it does matter which plug goes where) or the cable has just become loose or you have set the wrong type of floppy drive in the BIOS or configured the second floppy drive (which you don't have).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/floppy-failure.93568/
Relevancy 53.75%

just put another motherboard in one of my computers and went into bios and autodetected the drives it found the hard drive but not the floppy drive. so i rebooted it and it stops and tells me floppy disk failure hit f1 to continue or del to enter set up.and this is the furthest i get.

Any idea's??
Thanks

Relevancy 53.75%

when i start up my pc, and it gets to the bios point, i get the message
"floppy disks fail (40)", and have to press F1 to continue.
i get this no matter which floppy drive i use.

does anyone reading have any helpful suggestions?

A:Floppy failure!?!

Make sure the floppy cable is securely connected on the motherboard end. I know you've reconnected the floppy end. If that doesn't help, I would try a new floppy cable. If that doesn't work, for some reason maybe the floppy controller on the motherboard died.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/floppy-failure.95750/
Relevancy 53.75%

I'm having problems getting the floppy drive to work on my machine. I've tried swapping out the floppy, the cable, and I know the cable is right. The only thing left that I can think of is that the floppy controller on the motherboard is bad. Before I go get a new motherboard, I want to make sure that there is nothing else that I'm not thinking of. Please advise on anyother fixes short of replacing motherboard.

Thanks,
Thomas D.

A:floppy failure

Sorry, forgot to add this in the original post. The symptom is the computer dragging and eventually saying that it can't read the a: drive.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/floppy-failure.69645/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a Sony VAIO PCV-L620 that someone donated to my local library. It is running Win 98. When we received it the A: drive did not seem to work. I have found that it works find in Command Mode (MS-DOS). From there I can format, create files etc. and save them to the A: and it works perfectly. But in Windows, it will not read or write to a disk unless that disk was formatted in that A: drive and it will not read from a disk created on another machine. I have checked the CMOS, and the drive is set up as a 3.5" 1.44 drive. I have turned off and even removed the anti-Virus program. I have shut down all programs before trying to run a disk. I have removed and reinstalled the drive and the controllers in control panel. Anyone out there have any ideas what this could be?

Relevancy 53.32%

I am running Windows XP with service pack Last night I was downloading some rather large files off the internet using IE Due to the size of the files I decided to go to sleep and leave my computer on setting it to standby after two hours of inactivity figuring that would be sufficient for the files to finish downloading Well when I returned to my computer some hours later I found fails to boot failure) drive Windows (hard it still on and trying continually to boot which it failed to do When I tested my hard drive a GB Seagate Barracuda rpm on my laptop I found that only my storage partition GB Windows fails to boot (hard drive failure) could be read Windows fails to boot (hard drive failure) while my system partition GB and Program Partition GB could not Interestingly enough when I tested it on a friend's macintosh I could open all partitions I have some theories about what may have caused the problem I was using IE to download the file which happens to Windows fails to boot (hard drive failure) be on my system partition It also saves all temporary files there I noticed the system partition filling up as the files downloaded but was too tired to think anything of it and let it be No doubt it was at bytes soon after I left and likely tried to go into standby in this state I'm not quite as upset as I was earlier when I found out I could still access all my files on a mac but I would still prefer to fix the drive rather than reformatting Can anyone help Please ask if I have not provided enough info

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-fails-to-boot-hard-drive-failure-324601.html
Relevancy 53.32%

When booting msg comes up: Reboot and select proper boot device: Not sure if drive has failed. Boot order is correct.  Ran a diagnostic - came up with following error msg. 2000-0151,   hard drive 0 - incorrect status :32 - no additional sense info. Help...I do not have an installation disk and all recovery disks are packed in a POD as I am in middle of moving!! Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

A:System will not boot. Hard drive failure? Inspiron One

Always include exact PC model and version of Windows in your posts.
If you're still under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support for a replacement hard drive.
If you have Win 8.1 or 10, you can download the files -for free- from Microsoft needed to create a Windows installation USB stick for whichever version you have now. This can be done on any PC and the USB used to install the OS on the new HDD.
You will also have to download the hardware drivers from Dell's Support site onto a USB using another PC and install them here after you load Windows.
If your personal files aren't backed up on external media, you may be able to put the old drive into an external enclosure that connects to another PC via USB to rescue your files. Or install the old drive in another PC as a secondary drive to recover the files...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19997458
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi, I get this error msg during boot-up:
"Diskette Drive 0 seek failure", Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run setup utility.
Once you hit F1 it goes to Windows.
It's just a pain that there is a stop in boot-up process.
BTW, I heard that this is not a unique problem, but I have not yet seen
any solution.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ... Thank you, Ed

Relevancy 53.32%

I believe I lost my boot drive. My computer hangs when it can't find SATA4 in BIOS. I tried switching cables, but it did not help. I have 4 drives in a storage spaces array and a single boot drive. The computer is older, so I am thinking about pulling the 4 drive array and putting it in a mediasonic 4 bay box. I would attach it via usb to a windows 8 laptop. I only use the array for media storage.

Will the laptop see the array correctly in the usb box?
Thanks

A:Boot Drive Failure with storage spaces array

So I went ahead and bought the mediasonic 4 bay box. I put in the 4 drives from the array and they showed up without any problems on my windows 8 laptop. They are linked by USB, but still show up as a regular hard drive.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/35264-boot-drive-failure-storage-spaces-array.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey I ve just installed windows on a new hard Disk removing when drive... failure vista old boot drive I kept my old C drive plus a few storage drives plugged Disk boot failure when removing old vista drive... in and haven t wiped it yet so I could still get at my old files if anything went wrong with the backup if I needed to transfer anything across to the new win install So effectively I m dual-booting vista and win at the moment on separate drives Anyway When both are connected and I boot up I am offered a prompt screen asking which OS to boot into Choosing either works fine and I have been using win for a few days But when I disconnect the old vista drive so I can just boot from the new win one about wipe the vista drive and shift it to a different PC I get told Disk Boot Failure - please insert system disk Same thing happens if I change the boot order to put the new win drive above the old vista one What s going on If the vista drive isn t in the system surely I should just be able to boot from the win one with no issues Thanks for any ideas nbsp

A:Disk boot failure when removing old vista drive...

the master boot loader is on your vista disk and thats what points to 7. put in the 7 disk and boot from your 7 DVD. Run an automatic repair and it'll fix.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disk-boot-failure-when-removing-old-vista-drive.873069/
Relevancy 53.32%

My Win XP aro PC has two internal SATA drives. The OS is installed on drive C. Drive F is the other one, used for data

I was moving some files from drive C to Drive F and the machine crashed, giving me a delayed data write error. After that the F drive was not accessible. It either wouldn't open or I'd access denied errors.

I tried running chkdsk f:/f, which has always worked in such situations on external drives. It didn't work at first, giving me access denied errors, then I rebooted and I ran it - it didn't work the first time, I got unrecoverable sector errors.

Finally, after 3 attempts chkdsk seemed to work, but after that the Windows immediately froze. I shut it off and now it won't boot up. I get the windows splash screen then it just freezes on a blackened screen.

Please help!

A:SATA Hard Drive failure, system won't boot

I just ran the drive diagnostics from the setup screen - I get Drive I... Fail. Return Code: 7.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sata-hard-drive-failure-system-wont-boot-501837.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi everyone I have an HP Pavillion m y with Vista bit I got the hard drive failure imminent message so I backed up my data installed a new drive ran disk clone through the bootable media disk I created with Acronis True Image The clone said after new Boot drive disk hard installing failure it was successful I looked at the new drive through the True Image backup files to see if it Boot disk failure after installing new hard drive cloned ok and it looks fine The partitions are there and all the data seems to be there So I disconnected my old drive Seagate Barracuda gb and have the new drive Seagate Barracuda tb in the primary position Now it says quot boot failure please insert system disk quot I ran the short self-test through bios and it passed I then tried using the HP recovery disks and it says quot Non-system disk or disk error quot They aren't faulty because I used them to recover my old drive before cloning and it worked properly This is the very Boot disk failure after installing new hard drive short story of what I have been doing for the past few days and I am at a loss now No clue what to do next Any help is greatly appreciated Thank you in advance

A:Boot disk failure after installing new hard drive

Reboot or turn on the machine. As soon as you see your machine's name logo splash screen keep tapping F8. Go to "Advanced Options" or "Repair Computer" Select your language then "Repair Your Computer" An installation of Windows should be detected after that select "Next"

If that does not fix the issue. Do the same as before go to Next again go to command prompt type in

Code:

CHKDSK C: /R

If that does not also fix the issue follow the same steps as above except go to command prompt and type in then hit enter after each one.

Code:
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /fixmbr

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/boot-disk-failure-after-installing-new-hard-drive-662850.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I am having a similar problem I have a dell xps running windows xp media I restarted my computer last night and Instead of booting it failure disk Floppy told me quot Floppy diskette seek failure quot I am not a genius when it come to computers but I am pretty adept at using and troubleshooting things I entered my setup and changed the boot order to CD DVD drive then my hard drive I took floppy off of it because I have no floppy drive I restarted Floppy disk failure and it gave me the same error message I again went into my settings made sure Floppy disk failure I had saved the boot order which I had so i looked at other options I saw that floppy drive was enabled so i disabled it I restarted my computer again this time after i showed the Dell logo right before it would normally show my login screen the computer restarted itself with no warning It continued restarting itself at that point until i opened setup again and reenabled floppy drive If anyone could help me and ange it would be much appreciated nbsp

A:Floppy disk failure

The xps 710 cost me upwards $3000 from the factory and ran great until this happened, so I was hoping to get it fixed myslef without having to spend money.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/floppy-disk-failure.604142/
Relevancy 52.89%

Alright, so I have a Vista x64 Installation disk. The problem isn't that it won't work, but I have IMPORTANT files in my computer stored, and take month's to remake it.
I have tried many solution, which all led to failure. (These are what it tired):
-Making Floppy disabled
-Make Floppy last in BOOT-ORDER
-Checking computer in Repair menu (found no problems);

So i accidently scheduled my computer for a check, so I cancel'd it, after that it just kept saying "Floppy diskette failure" // I know this because my computer is on debug mode, so it tells me everything that loads. Instead of the pictures.

A:Floppy Diskette Failure

Welcome
If I understand your problem its that you want to save your stuff. Well try this
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/290096-floppy-diskette-failure.html
Relevancy 52.89%

My PC overheated a few nights ago because the fan died. Nothing was damaged though

as I turned off the electric as fast as I could. I took the tower to a repair shop and got a new fan installed. I reattached it.

Everything is perfect but I get the error message when my pc starts up. What does it mean?
It says press F1 to continue or Ctrl something to enter Recovery Genius.

Please help! xoxoxo

A:Floppy Disk (s) Failure (40) ?

Try running System Restore.Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/168302/floppy-disk-s-failure-40/
Relevancy 52.89%

In Floppy Failure Disk the process of trying to add a nd hard drive to my system I was having trouble getting Floppy Disk Failure the BIOS to recognize it After several attempts changing jumper settings and or BIOS definitions I finally got it to boot Then when I tried to boot from the floppy to configure the new drive I started getting errors I ve gotten Floppy Drive Failed CMOS Checkpoint Failed CMOS Battery Failed along with a message that defaults had been loaded The battery had apparently been bumped and loosened in it s holder I pushed it back down and get past that error but I m afraid something in the BIOS might have been changed Whatever the source of the problem I can t get the system to recognize the floppy If I tell the BIOS that there is no floppy I can boot and get into Windows so I don t think it s too sick I ve tried replacing the floppy drive and the cable but can t seem to get past the problem Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated NeedyGuy nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

I am having an issue when I start or restart my computer. It is a Dell Dimension E310 with windows xp. When I turn the computer on it comes up to a black screen with a floppy diskette search failure with the option to press F1 to continue to Windows or F2 to go system setup or something. How to I fix this issue? I've read to go to the BIOS and turn of the notification or something but I don't know how to get to the BIOS screen,

Thanks

A:Floppy Diskette Lod Failure

The prompt to go to F2 is the access to the Bios.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/355327/floppy-diskette-lod-failure/
Relevancy 52.89%

Replacement board installed, A7N8X Asus. Does not load "A" drive or CD. Light lights on drives. "A" drive light stays on solid. I ruined the old A7N8X installing a new CPU fan. Bought from Ebay a replacement.

A:A7N8X floppy failure

Do you have a floppy drive ? There is a bios setting that can hang if it dont find a floppy drive. each bios is different. Look for halt on floppy disk failure or something like that and also check your boot priority and take out the refence to a floppy.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a7n8x-floppy-failure.945012/
Relevancy 52.89%

My computer started running in to problems loading up recently It would go to a screen that said quot floppy diskette seek failure quot and underneath that was quot f to continue quot which wasn t that bad just hit f Today it stopped giving me the f diskette floppy failure to continue option and its stuck at quot floppy diskette seek failure quot and if i try to hit f before it goes in to the screen it floppy diskette failure says floppy diskette seek failure and sometimes keyboard failure Dell customer support didn t help at all just said quot go buy a new hard drive quot without asking any specifics because my warranty is up as of lt lt So computer starts will give me the dell screen with the bar that increases but stops just short of finishing and won t go in to set-up or boot from screens After repeated attempts it will say quot previous attempts have failed at checkpoint ithr Is there a way to fix this or am I going to have to buy a new hard drive nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/floppy-diskette-failure.955807/
Relevancy 52.89%

I am attempting to "rejuvenate" an old dell dimension 5150 desktop. I am currently getting the message "floppy seek failure" on attempted boot up.
The systen freezes and the F keys are of no use so that access to BIOS is not possible.

Dell has designed their floppy drives so that the power cable is too short to use a generic floppy. I was previously forced to purchase a "refurbished" floppy from dell (<1 year ago), which is now giving me this error message. As I paid $50 for this "refurbished" dell floppy drive, I am reluctant to spend any more money on this dell computer, reluctant to throw good money affter bad.

It appears this dell computer is ready to be junked. Is there any hope for this device, without spending more$$$$??

A:floppy seek failure

Is the F2 key not working before the error comes up?

Without the F functions there's not much you can do.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/floppy-seek-failure.1071107/
Relevancy 52.89%

i just built a computer and when i boots up it says the floppy drive failure 40. I checked the wiring and made sure it was connected properly from both ends and it still doesn't work. I tried using other floppy drives but that doesn't work either... I even tried booting from the harddrive and cdroms but it just keeps rebooting and the same thing happens over and over. Need help please...

Relevancy 52.89%

I built my first system and when I boot up the system it gives me the Floppy Drive Error 40. The problem is, I dont have a floppy installed not do I plan on installing one. Everything else works great i just hate having to hit F1 to boot my system. Any help on how to disable this would be great!

Thanks!
Nick

System Info:
Intel Core2 E6750 2.66Ghz 1333FSB, Vista Ultimate, 3GB 800Mhz Ram, nVidia 680i SLI Motherboard, Dual nVidia 512MB 8600 GTS, Dual 160GB 10K RPM Westerrn Digital HDD, Raidmax DirkTooth Smilodon Case and A Dell 24" Ultrasharp Widescreen Display.

A:HELP. Floppy Error 40 but no Floppy Drive

Disable the floppy drive controller in the BIOS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-floppy-error-40-but-no-floppy-drive.93420/
Relevancy 52.89%

When I insert any floppy in the Floppy Drive of my system, the message that the disk is not formatted is displayed even when the floppy disk contains certain data on it and prompts to format the disk. On trying to format the disk, the formatting fails and the message that the windows was unable to complete the formatting comes. The same floppy works in the other drives. When I sought the help of an authorized service personnel, the same says that on testing as well as replacing the drive, no problem is found!!!
Then why doesn't the floppy work on my system???
Please help!!!

Relevancy 52.89%

Hi nbsp I have an Elitebook p recently TB SSD and conventional spinning drives have become available I know this is an old laptop however it has a touchscreen and is upgradeable - my MacBook Pro stays locked away as to be honest this laptop is so much more flexible as a programmer and user - and it even runs WoW well nbsp Anyway I have been large failure (2 TB) hard random... 2TB OS and boot drive 2760p using a Crucial GB SSD which ran perfectly but I ran out of space I have previously used a TB conventional spinning drive which also worked fine I have two base stations and one has a Blu-Ray drive and the other now has a TB drive in a caddy in place of the CD drive nbsp I purchased a TB Crucial MX SSD as well as some TB Seagate spinning hard drives While Seagate drives have gone downhill recently in terms of failure rates etc my problem seems to be with the laptop Specifically nbsp If I put the TB SATA GB s Crucial MX SSD into the laptop then I can install Linux from a USB drive and it installs perfectly Reboot results in BootDevice not found 'please install an operating system' If I put the TB drive into a USB enclosure it boots slightly further stating 'Grub' 'attempt to read outside of hd ' nbsp Essentially the system cannot boot from a TB hard drive installed internally in the laptop The same error happens with the Crucial MX SSD 2760p large 2TB (2 TB) hard drive OS boot failure and random... and the Seagate TB drives Interestingly the BIOS hard drive test works fine However when booting about - of the time an error occures where even if you press Escape to go to the option menu and press F for boot device or F for bios configuration the 2760p large 2TB (2 TB) hard drive OS boot failure and random... laptop goes to System Diagnostics instead meaning even the BIOS is locked out around half the time when a TB drive is installed in the computer nbsp I have tried all the different BIOS options including IDE AHCI GB s GB s UEFI and standard legacy boot No difference with any of them When I install any drive TB or below the laptop is absolutely fine and never has a problem nbsp I have installed the lates F I think BIOS downloaded from the website - was using F but no difference nbsp I know this is an old laptop however I was wondering if there was any chance of a BIOS update to overcome this error I ask because this is clearly a BIOS incompatibility the hardware and chipset are clearly fine with the large hard drive I say this because nbsp I have found a workaround I installed Linux but the standard Linux GRUB bootloader is installed on a USB flash drive which fortunately is one of the tiny nearly 'flush' models so is barely visible This means that the laptop fails to boot from the hard drive then boots from USB - and the USB loads a bootloader which then boots Linux perfectly - I am using the Linux install on the TB drive to write this post nbsp As a final note it is probably worth noting that I tried installing linux on a GB partition leaving the rest of the hard drive totally blank I tried GPT and MSDOS classic partition schemes on UEFI and 'legacy' boot The problem seems to be that the BIOS has some kind of error when it sees a TB drive such that of the time pressing escape and F to enter BIOS config doesn't work yet the BIOS hard drive test works fine and the hardware works if I use a bootloader on a slimline USB drive to begin the boot process nbsp Crucial lists this drive as compatible with the p if anyone has figured out how to resolve this issue I would be happy to find out how to get this fixed

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/2760p-large-2TB-2-TB-hard-drive-OS-boot-failure-and-random/td-p/5853976
Relevancy 52.89%

Good Evening,

I recently had a hard drive fail. A friend gave me a hard drive that is workable but needs to be reformatted.  I installed the hard drive myself (thank you YouTube) but can't get past this error message.I have the system disk but the computer won't get past this error.

Can anyone help?

The message reads:
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your windows installation disk and restart the computer.
2. Choose your language settings and then click next.
3. Click repair your computer.

If you do not have the disk contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
File:  \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

A:Hard drive failure/unable to boot to command prompt

Silly question but after formating did you re-install Windows on it? it would be throwing that error because it has no boot partition to load the Winload.exe file.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/520283/hard-drive-failureunable-to-boot-to-command-prompt/