Windows Support Forum

Previous WD hard drive 500GB could not be recognized as it always

Q: Previous WD hard drive 500GB could not be recognized as it always

I have to say I am a little worried about my hard drive. Often I bought it for the purpose to protect my game videos, and some program files. For a long time, it behaved rightly with my HP windows 7 desktop when directly used. Sometimes ago I decided to let this old PC alone and bought a Macbook pro. The latter has no such a SATA interface for me to input the data from this drive. For the convenience, I borrowed this SATA dock from my brother . ( I have to admit previously I once use another dock to exchange the data . )

My mac just could not recognize my drive as a normal one. I am not sure where the problem lies in. The key is that other drives have no similar issue with this dock. I wonder if anything happen before in the process I handle the data with another dock.

Grateful for any advice.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Previous WD hard drive 500GB could not be recognized as it always

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Previous WD hard drive 500GB could not be recognized as it always

Yeah. At present I have no such another one to have a try. I will turn to my friend see if any gadget he has to test my drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/previous-wd-hard-drive-500gb-could-not-be-recognized-as-it-always.201163/
Relevancy 91.45%

I have to say I am a little worried about my hard drive. Often I bought it for the purpose to protect my game videos, and some program files. For a long time, it behaved rightly with my HP windows 7 desktop when directly used. Sometimes ago I decided to let this old PC alone and bought a Macbook pro. The latter has no such a SATA interface for me to input the data from this drive. For the convenience, I borrowed this SATA dock from my brother . ( I have to admit previously I once use another dock to exchange the data . )

My mac just could not recognize my drive as a normal one. I am not sure where the problem lies in. The key is that other drives have no similar issue with this dock. I wonder if anything happen before in the process I handle the data with another dock.

Appreciated for your any idea.

A:Previous WD hard drive 500GB could not be recognized as it always..?

It is because the file system is not compatible with Macintosh. OS X only supports HFS. Most HDDs are formatted to NTFS or FAT32. You will need to reformat to make it work, but you will lose all your data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/326389-previous-wd-hard-drive-500gb-could-not-recognized-always.html
Relevancy 94.17%

in all fairness i have requested help with this problem at other sites as well if i find a solution i promise to post it on all sites i just bought a brand new western digital WD AAKB caviar blue gb IDE PATA hard drive from tiger direct i have had success cloning smaller hard drives to gb hard drives with easeus disk copy so i thought i would try to clone from my original HDD to this gb i was able to clone the gb HDD s right out of the package hard 500gb screen New drive bootup recognized not at without any preparation i thought i would be able to do New 500gb hard drive not recognized at bootup screen this with this gb as well however the results i get are strange after making the master slave connection and powering up the gb never gets recognized in the bootup screen or else the bootup screen stalls at the part where it detects the hard drives i must admit that i am not really certain how to have the jumpers set on this gb the master drive is no problem because i have pulled off this procedure before cloning gb to gb i have had the jumpers on the gb set at both cable select and slave the HDD is brand new so i could get my back but i think i am making a mistake of some kind i am very much a newbie at this and i have just gotten lucky a few times with this quot hobby quot just trying to keep a backup of some cheap computer s data in case any expert help would be most appreciated nbsp

A:New 500gb hard drive not recognized at bootup screen

i solved the problem. i swapped ribbon cables and the hard drive was detected. it showed up in disk management, and disk copy made a clone without a hitch.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-500gb-hard-drive-not-recognized-at-bootup-screen.129457/
Relevancy 94.17%

Hello all I am at my wits end and i wonder if anyone can recognized!! drive now iomega hard not external 500gb help I have a GB external iomega hard drive I had only used it a handful of times to back up such things as holday snaps and my itunes music and video library This was basically to free up my laptops memory I iomega external 500gb hard drive now not recognized!! then plugged into the usb port on my PS console and found it was in FAT so dragged game saves across to do the same thing for my PS I then used it to drag music to my iphone and left it for a week however now the PS wont recognise it and nor will my computer and i have no idea why not There is power to the hard drive via external v power source and the blue light on it shows that power goes to it but when plugged to any other console or laptop it does not show signs of being read Any one able to shed light on this and help with an answer matt nbsp

Relevancy 70.52%

i have a seagate 500gb hard drive and when i load windows xp on it only gives me 31 gb. i tried the seagate disk utility cd that came with the hard drive, after i formatted and partioned it i tried loading windows xp again on the partition and it sais that it is either damaged, full, or formatted wrong . what good is a 500gb hard drive when you only get 31 gb. can some one help me?

A:500gb hard drive

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Just to let you know, I`ve deleted your other thread on this subject. Please don`t start any more threads for this. Thanks.

Take a look HERE and see if it helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/500gb-hard-drive.59504/
Relevancy 69.66%

one of My friend had a 500GB of Hard drive (Western digital)
But it is Not Booting!
he had very Sensitive DATA in the Drive?
is there any way how to Resolve this Problem?OR how to Recover all the DATA??
THanks

A:500GB of Hard Drive is Not Working

I assume you have already reseated both the sata data cable and the pw connector.

Is the drive being recognized in the bios? If so, I would pull the drive and connect it to a working system. Once connected, you should be able to access the drive and copy whatever you want.

If it is not being IDed by the bios, you can still recover data however it become a LOT more expensive. The drive would need to go to a data recovery shop.

It does little good now however you see why we stress backups SO much. With an image backup of the drive in question, you simply install a new drive and restore your image. Done in less than 30min.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/500gb-of-hard-drive-is-not-working.866993/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hey,

Just a little advice really, I've had my dell studio xps since january and I don't really have much software installed, just your standard mcaffe, adobe software and a few others not alot at all really. But my hard drive is almost full??

The other day I had a little less than a quarter of space was left, and today it's in the red but I've not downloaded anything which I find a little suspicious.

Anyway of reducing this or seeing what space is being wasted on?

The system every other day gets backed up but that to dell on line data back up I dont think its backed up on the system so cant be that.

Any idea's would be appreciated.

Thanks

Relevancy 69.66%

Hi, I'm new here..thanks to your site for helping me rid my kids' Windows 7 pc from a fake AV with Malwarebytes.

I've been looking through "My Computer" and I just don't know what's clogging up the hard drive. There is only 10% of it left, and I've saved and eliminated some bigger video/image files.

Very few games, and really not a lot of programs. I'm baffled. The computer is only a little over a year old. Music could be the problem, but I can't even find the individual files, like I can on my mac. How do I find what is taking up all the space?

Sorry if this has been covered. I searched using my own way of describing the problem and came up empty. Thanks for any advice! Karen

A:my 500GB hard drive is nearly full!?

Use Disc Cleanup. Be sure to delete the restore points (disc cleanup will delete all but the most current) (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup). Chances are system restore is the problem. You can also use an app such as treesize to see where the space is being used (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/437189/my-500gb-hard-drive-is-nearly-full/
Relevancy 68.8%

I went home from break from college and forgot my power chord to my external hard drive. I wanted to watch a movie on my drive and i found a power chord that fit except forgot to check to voltage. I gave the drive too much voltage. I think i burnt out my drive. I have a lot of valuable information on it so I need to get it working again. When I plug the real power chord a light flickers then goes off. I need to know how to fix the drive. Do I need to take it a part? Im pretty sure the hard drive it self will still be fine. Please Help me out!

Relevancy 68.8%

I've downloaded the ISO for service pack 3 but XP will not install correctly on my PC because the hard drive is too big.  How can I install it on my PC with 500GB hard drive?

Please respond only with step by step instructions.

A:how to install Windows XP on a PC with 500GB hard drive?

What error did you get?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492176/how-to-install-windows-xp-on-a-pc-with-500gb-hard-drive/
Relevancy 68.8%

i had a external hard drive.
some time it make sound like crassing in something when i transfer the data
why?
in some way do i lose my hole data is thier inside.
or none happen with inside data whatever happen
i want to know is that do i have lose my data in future

Relevancy 68.8%

Ok I have this HD that I put it in a laptop HD and it fit but says no bootable device. When I plug it into a usb port it wont even read it it makes a hum and turns off.

A:500GB Seagate portable hard drive

Was the hard drive previously working in the laptop before stopping working? Or did you try it in the laptop after it stopped working via USB?

A operating system needs to be installed on the hard drive for it to actually boot. If one isn't it will ask you to insert a bootable device in order to load an operating system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/500gb-seagate-portable-hard-drive.189705/
Relevancy 68.8%

Just bought the HP Envy 15 as020nr - 8GB RAM, Touchscreen laptop, but it came with only a 256GB SSDI want to remove this current SSD hard drive and buy a larger one (500 GB or 1TB) and install it myself Is there a replacable 500GB or 1TB hard drive for the newer HP Envy 15 laptops?I cant find any HP  hard drives specifically for "as020nr" online Does anyone know why? -Z

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Is-there-a-replacable-500GB-or-1TB-hard-drive-for-the-newer/td-p/5820777
Relevancy 68.8%

I am using a XP Professional with SP and I am trying to upgrade from a GB to a TB Hard Drive A few years back I went from a GB HD to the current GB HD Then everything went fine Now it doesn t matter whether I use Automatic Manual WD s Software or Acronis all I get is a patchwork screen of separate letters with black space Hard Upgrading to Problems 500GB Drive 2TB and nothing can be done with it Now I did notice that the data was transferred to the TB HD It just won t boot I have plugged the HD in by its self - no good If I plug in both it boots to the GB and the files can be seen on both the gb and Upgrading 500GB to 2TB Hard Drive Problems the new TB HD s Upgrading 500GB to 2TB Hard Drive Problems Well here is a Hijack This scan Please try and help me If you need more info Upgrading 500GB to 2TB Hard Drive Problems just ask Steve Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgchsvx exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files CDBurnerXP NMSAccessU exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files IDT WDM STacSV exe C Program Files NeoSmart Technologies ToolTipFixer ToolTipFixer exe C Program Files AVG AVG Identity Protection Agent Bin AVGIDSAgent exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgemcx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files AVG Secure Search vprot exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService ISUSPM exe C Program Files AVG AVG Identity Protection agent bin avgidsmonitor exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http search coupons com O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - C Program Files AVG AVG avgssie dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO AVG Security Toolbar - B C- C F- BF -B - A - C Program Files AVG Secure Search AVG Secure Search toolbar dll O - BHO Speed Analysis - A FC-B E- EC - F D-C F B DF - C Program Files Speed Analysis ScriptHost dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO TBSB - FCBCCB - - B D-B -F D BEB - C Program Files Coupons com CouponBar tbcore dll file missing O - Toolbar Coupons com CouponBar - E B - C - DE- - D BBECD - C Program Files Coupons com CouponBar tbcore dll file missing O - Toolbar AVG Security Toolbar - B C- C F- BF -B - A - C Program Files AVG Secure Search AVG Secure Search toolbar dll O - HKLM Run SysTrayApp ProgramFiles IDT WDM sttray exe O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run Persistence C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe O - HKLM Run AVG TRAY C Program Files AVG AVG... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-500gb-to-2tb-hard-drive-problems.1136381/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello,
i have portable usb 500gb hard disk drive..i'm using win xp sp3..till one week ago the hard disk was working fine..then from no reason when i plugged it in the windows found the new hardware but didn't recognize it as a hard disk and wanted the drivers for it..and this hard drive doesn't need drivers..my other 2gb usb disc and mp3 players work fine when i connect them in the usb..i tried reinstalling windows,reinstalling usb drivers, changeing the usb kabel and nothing works..
when i plug in the hard drive in other computers it works just fine..like it worked on mine before
now i really don't know what to do..

A:Win XP not recognizing portable usb 500gb hard drive

Hi

USB devices such as pendrives, flash sticks and external drives all use pretty much the same technology, as such they can and do go bad...if its wanting the drivers for it then chances are the small board inside the unit has gone bad...there is no cure for it as far as i know

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win-xp-not-recognizing-portable-usb-500gb-hard-drive.134845/
Relevancy 68.8%

below is the mail i fired off Drive External WD's Inaccesible [500gb] Hard to western digital s tech support I have a My Book Essential Edition GB external Hard Drive My WD's Inaccesible External Hard Drive [500gb] WD device is not being properly recognized by my PC xp it has been working fine since the months i bought it from newegg It was working fine today morning when suddenly a file upload terminated and i was unable to access my drive I got an error message WD's Inaccesible External Hard Drive [500gb] pic attached which claimed Drive I WD is inacessible I also notice that my drive was listed as Local Disk instead of the usual - email protected TB XT my given name It had happened once before but as soon as i made sure the usb cable and or the power cable was firmly attached it used to work normally In this case after the above procedure there was no improvement I tried a reboot but windows did not load i know ur knowledge base says tweak bios but i neva had the problem it always used to load with windows western digital s knowledge base Windows actually mentioned that my paging file was too small while it was stuck not loading That was weird since around gigs of my C drive is set as a paging file neways after resetting the paging file settings i noticed that my pc STILL doesnt recognize my WD I have always disconnected my WD using the correct method and b today had no reason to comlain What should i do I have around gigs of invaluable data i don think its lost just inaccesisble i guess and um pretty worried Everytime i tried connecting after all the above after windows was fully loaded and the drive started up i still get an unnamed inaccessible drive I Device Manager says its working alright damn nethin to go bak to its previous normal state P S when it comes to windows software etc um fairly tech savvy but know about hardware n i really dont think its a virus related prob S nbsp

Relevancy 68.37%

I just rebuilt an old system using Windows 7 Home Premium after using WinXP pro for many years. The primary hard drive is WDC 150 Mg and Win7 is installed and updated to current with SP1. I dropped a second WDC hard drive in, formatted and was going to use it for a 2nd backup unit. Both of these are sata. Both hard drives are recognized by Disk Management but when I select Computer on the start menu ONLY the primary 150 Mg drive is recognized. If I plug in an external drive, both Computer and Disk Management recognizes the external drive. How do I have Win7 recognize my backup WDC drive so I can use it.

Thank you

A:hard drive NOT recognized in computer but IS recognized in disk mgmnt.

Quote: Originally Posted by PERSIL

I just rebuilt an old system using Windows 7 Home Premium after using WinXP pro for many years. The primary hard drive is WDC 150 Mg and Win7 is installed and updated to current with SP1. I dropped a second WDC hard drive in, formatted and was going to use it for a 2nd backup unit. Both of these are sata. Both hard drives are recognized by Disk Management but when I select Computer on the start menu ONLY the primary 150 Mg drive is recognized. If I plug in an external drive, both Computer and Disk Management recognizes the external drive. How do I have Win7 recognize my backup WDC drive so I can use it.

Thank you

Had similarities on my pc.

Goto BIOS, there you have 4 options.

Primary Master
Secondary Master

Primary Slave
Secondary Slave

Set it as follows:

Primary Master -----> Main Boot HDD
Secondary Master -----> EMPTY

Primary Slave -----> CD/DVD RAM
Secondary Slave -----> Secondary backup HDD
Hpe it helps!

Gala

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/310859-hard-drive-not-recognized-computer-but-recognized-disk-mgmnt.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Damn Western Digital I sent back their last piece of crap hard drive that broke in months and they gave me drive on hard Vista Problems USB 500GB recognizing another piece of crap hard drive that broke in months The problem isn t the same Problems recognizing 500GB USB hard drive on Vista though The hard drive looks and sounds alright but when I plug it in to any computer it has maybe a chance of working When it does work if I bump it or move it an inch or my laptop for that matter suddenly it s not recognized again It s worked perfectly until last week My theory is that the USB cable from the hard drive to the computer is malfunctioning On the hard drive end the cable is bent up pretty bad The metal is bent at a -degree angle or so when plugged in Are there any quick tests I can run before buying a new cable and possibly finding out it s a waste Would this even cause a problem like this nbsp

A:Problems recognizing 500GB USB hard drive on Vista

well...first off, what's a new usb cord cost? like 5-10 bucks if you shop around for about 15 minutes? does it show up in with the little safely remove software icon on the task bar? at startup, if you run bios settings, and choose advanced settings and then hard drive, does it show up there? i'm assuming it doesn't show up in my computer or disk management as well. a good start would be an answer to these last few questions. how did you manage to bend the usb cord in the first place?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-recognizing-500gb-usb-hard-drive-on-vista.774966/
Relevancy 68.37%

Got a bit of a strange one im looking for help with please.

Had my WD 500GB external hard drive for over 12 months.

Latley when I go to windows explorer, right click on the drive and left click on properties i get a reading says free space is 273gb. when I try and past something in there, a movie for example, i get an error saying there isnt enough space left. File of the movie is roughly 3gb.

To trouble shoot i tried to past a small picture file and that worked fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

A:Strange problem with WD 500GB external hard drive

Ok been working on this problem since posting question with a friend.

Confirmed its a FAT32 error

opened cmn and ran CONVERT e: /FS:NTFS /v

when it asks for what drive use My Passport

if it asks for dismount i selected yes

i then received an error saying the volume has inconsistencies so i ran chkdsk e: /f

when that finished i ran the CONVERT e: /FS:NTFS /v which worked and im now filling up my external hard drive once again!

IMPORTANT - to ensure you dont loose any valueable data on your drive backup before trying this, this worked for my and I cant guarantee this will work for everyone.

Hope it helps someone out there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/strange-problem-with-wd-500gb-external-hard-drive.171669/
Relevancy 68.37%

please help... thanks in advance

its been 3days and its still scanning

A:Broken external hard drive. hitachi 500gb

?????

What are you trying to do?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/303111-broken-external-hard-drive-hitachi-500gb.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I purchased almost a month ago a Seagate Barracuda GB model number ST AS hard drive for I thought at the moment that it was a good deal The same SATA 500GB reads/writes @5MB/s... drive WHY?? hard people from whom I bought it installed it for me Some problems ensued with the drive 500GB SATA hard drive reads/writes @5MB/s... WHY?? when I took it home I d get the 500GB SATA hard drive reads/writes @5MB/s... WHY?? blue screen of death or its sister saying there s been a hardware malfunction and immediately shut down The next day I went to the store and used my guarantee and traded it in for an exact double yet virgin Seagate hard drive This time I let them install Windows XP for me and everything seemed fine The next day I was installing some programs when I realized that the computer was running too slow How did I notice I had Kaspersky Internet Security running in the background as usual as well as Diskeeper Pro Premier in the 500GB SATA hard drive reads/writes @5MB/s... WHY?? background and as a result of this the computer altogether would slow down for a few seconds A more common situation was when I was wathcing a video while downloading on Azureus and every minutes the video would start to jitter and then completely freeze for seconds and then carry on as usual oh and the audio would always have cracks and pops All these would not happen if I didn t have Azureus or Diskeeper running What conclusion did I get My hard drive was working slow This was a nearly certain idea since everytime I d move a file or folder to another location Directory Opus file copy window would tell me the speed at which the file was being transfered and it was ALWAYS capped at MB s I found a program called PerformanceTest that runs benchmark tests on my whole system and how surprising was it to find out that I was right My Sequential Read and Sequential Write measurements were around x MB s and my Random Access was around MB s I assume everybody knows that common speeds for SATA drives are - MB s Why was this happening I explained this to the guys at the store and they did a low level format on the hard drive and discovered that it had some bad sectors on it and they said that part of it was unaccessible So I used my guarantee and traded it in for a new one Guess what I m with the same problem and on my third hard drive Slow as a snail All this switching and trading isn t costing me a dime just time However they did make me buy a new power supply telling me that the speed issue was probably due to a low power input Unfortunately that didn t work and busted a bit of my money down the drain I now see those people as incapable of helping me and before asking for my money back I wanted to make sure that there isn t something else causing this I ve tested my RAM sticks loaded one then the other tried different slots yet nothing I was thinking that they were probably scamming me with defect hardware finding somebody stupid enough to buy them would be more profitting that burning or burrying them I guess that was too farfetched I left them my computer for a weekend to see if the problem was my motherboard They said no It was certainly the hard drive That s when they found the bad sectors My motherboard s installation CD comes with lot s of drivers but there s one which I refused to install It s the SW IDE driver from nForce The first time I installed it my computer broke down to a crawl Waiting for Windows to pass the loading screen was longer than Genesis I opened up the menu that comes with the options to load in Safe Mode and chose to load the last good configuration I got in to Windows and uninstalled those drivers I was back where I started I tried flashing my BIOS with the latest update Didn t help I have no idea what to do now Can somebody help me please Here s a brief on me relevant hardware Motherboard Asus M N SLI-Deluxe nForce OS Windows XP SP up to the latest update including NET Processor AMD Athlon Hard drive Seagate GB SATA model ST AS click ... Read more

Relevancy 68.37%

My seagate external drive has stopped working. I looked in device manager and it is there and saying its working properly. Its also listed in disk management showing as RAW and read only. I've tried numerous recovery software with no success. Teskdisk reported read error and found no partitions. Easeus wizard recovery scanned for hours and found no files. I have a lot of precious files on the hard drive which I would hate to lose. I do get a window up saying the drive in question needs to be formatted, I know that if I do this I will lose all my data. In desperation I clicked ok for this but even the format was not successful. I have also taken the hard drive out of its enclosure and is now plugged into a hard drive docking station. This made no difference.

any helpful advise?

A:hard drive woes seagate external 500gb

If both TestDisk and Easeus have failed then you may be out of luck. If the data is truly important then sometimes its best to seek assistance from a data recovery firm as sometimes accessing the drive only makes it worse. You could try one of these for that: http://hard-drive-recovery-services-review.toptenreviews.com/

When a drive fails sometimes data recovery is not possibly at all or only through data recovery companies.

This is why backups are so important and why you should invest in a backup drive or online backup in the future.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-woes-seagate-external-500gb.1071259/
Relevancy 68.37%

every time I try at about 10% with 8 hours remaining I get the following error message an unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the open file is no longer valid
it does this at the same file every time, if I copy all files but the one that gave the error message, the next file in line will give the same message and so on.

the two are both external drives 2TB exact same make and model from the same store bought at the same time

what do I need to do do fix this and make the files copy?

Googling the error message only brought up DVDRW related problems not external hard drive problems

A:copying 500GB of data from one 2TB hard drive to another (error)

Alduins have you used any registry cleaners lately? if so you may have a problem with something that has been cleaned by some lousy software which most claim to enhance the machine.

What I might suggest is to try and put the data onto another separate drive and see if the problem still exists. If it doesn't then maybe the second drive is going south.
It may be then have to be a hard drive test to see if one of the drives is bad

SeaTools for Windows | Seagate
or use the surface test in Partition Wizard Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

Personally I don't like large drives to be honest as a large drive means a large mount of data and a crash mean a loss of a great deal of data.

What you might like to try is this

BOOTABLE UBUNTU

Make a bootable Ubuntu disk http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Set the BIOS to boot from theoptical when the machine boots it will show you a screen with TRY or INSTALL> select TRYnot INSTALL

When it is finished - it takes verylittle time you will get a screen like in the pic .

Open the drive you want > Userand dig down until you get to the data / settings you may be able to copy /paste the material you want to an external source or other installed drive doingthis.

I am not sure if it will but I haverecovered tons of data etc using this method both on "dead" or justplain drives that you cannot get data from using Windows.
You may be able to transfer that data form drive to drive using this method.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/326162-copying-500gb-data-one-2tb-hard-drive-another-error.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello. Recently I split my 500GB into two volumes halving it into 250GB for each volume. One volume, which is the G:, is a FAT32 format, and the other "H:" is NTSC. I performed this on a XP, then recently I got my new computer I tried plugging in the external but it only read the FAT32 one. And on disk manager it shows both of them, but the other one is not readable. I then tried it on my other laptop which is also a Windows 7, it didn't show either. I have really important files in there. What can I do? Please help

A:External Hard Drive 500Gb Kingmax Question

Hello tygster, welcome to the forum

I have no idea why this is happening

You could use a live linux CD to allow you to copy the data across to the linux desktop and then format the NTFS partition to FAT 32 before copying the files back to the disc.
Warning because this is a live cd you will not be able to turn your PC during this operation as all files on the linux desktop will be lost.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/166691-external-hard-drive-500gb-kingmax-question.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi All,

Hope you can help me!!!
I have had my wd 500gb External Hard Drive some months now, which was re formatted to fat 32 by a friend, so I could download movies off friends.
Anyways it had just stopped letting me download saying: "Error: former volume not mounted".
I checked my hard drive and it says it has "no driver installed".
I did notice some of my last movies I download didnt have sound when watched on a friends computer using my hard drive? I am not great with computers in case you didnt know so if you can help..easy enough even a blonde could understand.lol. Still getting the hang of all the technic side...
Hope you can help I am lost with hard drive not working properly..
In case you need to know...I used a little Samsung N220 Laptop with
Windows *7 Starter..
Hope to hear from you soon
Renee

A:New to site - WD 500GB external hard drive issues

Take a look at this:
Recovering Data

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-to-site-wd-500gb-external-hard-drive-issues.158736/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi I just built a new PC and install SATA Cannot hard on 500GB WD Windows drive! I am unable to install windows on the computer I have tried installing Windows XP and Windows but none of them work When I tried to install Windows XP I got the error unable to read hard drive When I Cannot install Windows on WD 500GB SATA hard drive! tried to install Windows it gets to the point where it loads all the files and brings up the screen Starting windows but after that the screen just goes blank and the monitor cannot find a video source even though the computer is still on I tried plugging in another hard drive which already had windows xp installed on it The computer booted fine Cannot install Windows on WD 500GB SATA hard drive! but it could not find the GB WD hard drive I looked in the BIOS and it seems that the MB recognizes that there is a hard drive but it is having a hard drive reading it If i go into the onboard device config it doesnt show the SATA controller I am wondering if there is a solution to this any way I can install the drivers or is it just a faulty hard drive My system specs are given below MB Asus P H -M PRO Chip Intel i GHz RAM GB DDR x GB Kingston HD WD Caviar Blue SATA GB Thanks in advance alguy nbsp

A:Cannot install Windows on WD 500GB SATA hard drive!

You can try to change the SATA controller mode (in the BIOS) to IDE mode. Windows XP setup should continue without a problem. You could keep the mode set to SATA or AHCI but you then need to install the appropriate SATA/RAID drivers at the F6 prompt at the beginning of Windows Setup. However, you will need a floppy drive for that. If you don't have a floppy drive, you can try making a slipstream CD which is a Windows CD with the SATA/RAID drivers included. Google, Bing or whatever to find several guides on how to create a slipstream CD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-install-windows-on-wd-500gb-sata-hard-drive.157671/
Relevancy 68.37%

I have a Maxtor 500gb External hard drive (2 weeks old). Tried quick reformat after an error and it only formats to 43gb (NTFS ). Ran chkdsk and that reports 500gb (approx) with no bad sectors, etc. Am I missing something simple or is the drive useles. (I can copy stuff onto the 43gb space).

Relevancy 68.37%

i bought a seagate 500gb 2.5" SATA hard drive from amazon for my ps3 i also got a 250gb plain external drive from wal-mart its also a seagate i successfuly reformated the 250gb to 32 fat for use with my ps3 to back up my system but when i tried to fromat the 500gb my computer wont even reconize it when i plug it in... so im stuck also i should point out that i just bought the hard drive with out the case since i planned on puting it in my ps3 so i had to take apart an old hard drive my roomate had and used the chip thing from it to plug the hard drive into my computer his hard drive was an 80gb idk what brand anyways help would be very apriciated -thanx

Relevancy 67.51%

Hi all I ve been searching for a way to repair my external usb hdd which recently stopped working I m not having much luck and I stumbled accross your forum so thought I d give it a Still Freecom by Drive Hard - PC, Working with No 500Gb PS3. recognised Longer try This is my first post Here goes I bought a couple of Gb Freecom 500Gb Hard Drive - No Longer Working with PC, Still recognised by PS3. external usb hdd s from Freecom 500Gb Hard Drive - No Longer Working with PC, Still recognised by PS3. amazon about four months ago They are both usb connection and have been working fine up until a few days ago when the main one I use for backup stopped being recognized by windows I am using Windows vista bit on a HP QQ All-in-one Pc Everything has worked fine since buying both hard disks and I have been able to back-up all my data without any problems up until now Now when I plug the hdd in to my computer I hear the windows chime telling me that a new device has been iconnected but it does not run autoplay as usual When I open my computer to try and open it manually it freezes my computer and I am forced to end task On occasion the drive will show up but the details such as storage capacity and in use do not show up When I double click to open the drive it freezes explorer again The hard disk makes a ticking noise as if it is searching for something No matter how long I leave it doing this it does not recognise the drive I figured the drive had just been corrupted and was ready to format and call the Gb of data I had stored lost but as a last resort I plugged it into my PS where I found It was able to read it and I was able to access all the files stored on it with no problem whatsoever Strange huh I ve tried using various other usb cables but still get the same problem So I know it s not anything to do with the hardware side of it So I know the data is still on there and not corrupt but for whatever reason I can t get to it in windows The only other computer I have access to is a laptop which is also running Windows vista bit - Same problem there I ve googled around and tried to find a solution myself but had no joy I read somewhere it might have something to do with the boot table or something like that In all honesty I haven t had to deal with anything like this before so I don t know what to do I ve also tried running various data recovery tools such as GetDataBack NTFS none of which will recognize the hdd I ve reached the point where I ve run out of ideas Any suggestions please nbsp

A:Freecom 500Gb Hard Drive - No Longer Working with PC, Still recognised by PS3.

Did those drives come with an external power supply or a special double ended dongle for power?

Have you tried other USB connections?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/freecom-500gb-hard-drive-no-longer-working-with-pc-still-recognised-by-ps3.99969/
Relevancy 67.51%

My Name is Hariyanto and I am from Indonesia.

My toshiba canvio portable hard drive 500GB is not detected by my Acer Laptop 4750 G. there are three usb ports. two of then are 2.0 and is 3.0 USB.

The USB 2.0 is not a problem. It can detect and read my external drive.
But when I change to USB 3.0, the laptop says that I need to format and when I format it the Windows 7 said that windows 7 can not format it.

I have already installed the renesas usb controller drive. I have tried to uninstalled and reinstalled it but still it didn't work.

What happen to my USB 3.0 port or my Toshiba external HD.

I really need your all help, please.
Thanks a lot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-toshiba-canvio-portable-hard-drive-500gb-is-not-detected.174720/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi there,

I recently bought a LaCie Starck 500GB external hard drive in order to transfer some files from Windows to a Macbook Pro. However, I can only put some of my files onto a small section of the hard drive. There are two folders: LaCie and EXCHANGE. The LaCie folder has something like 460GB of free space, yet the EXCHANGE only has around 30GB. Also, I cannot transfer new files from my Mac to the folder LaCie on the hard drive.

So, the two problems: EXCHANGE only having a small portion of the free memory; and the inability to transfer documents from my Mac to the folder LaCie on the hard drive.

Thanks for any help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lacie-starck-500gb-external-hard-drive-problem.955788/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi I've got a major problem with my SATA II HDD. (Sorry if this topic has already been posted please link me to it). My computer's ben working normally for months, but this morning when I turned it on it didn't see my hard drive and asked me to insert a bootable media device or HDD and restart. I'm running Vista and have tried using the vista DVD start-up repair function but it doesnt work. I've got an ASUS P5N7A-VM motherboard and the hard drive is a 500 GB Seagate SATA II HDD. I've got a lot of imprtant files on that hard drive. What can i do?

A:500GB SATA II Hard Drive not Recognised at Boot Anymore

is it detected in the bios?
if not then try pluging the data lead into another port on the motherboard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/500gb-sata-ii-hard-drive-not-recognised-at-boot-anymore.126053/
Relevancy 67.51%

Help please i have a maxtor 500gb external hard drive that i store all my music on. i was quite happy listening to some when all of a sudden it stopped checked in my computer and the hard drive wasn't listed as being connected. so i presumed it had become unplugged somehow, checked all connections from drive to laptop and they were solid, but it came apparent that the green power light was not on checked the plug and it was still plugged in and when i pull cable out of drive and try plugging it back in the light comes on for a short period of time (1-2 seconds) then goes back out again.
Now i have over 40,000 tracks stored on there 90% are backed up but is this a fault with the drive itself or the power supply unit??

Relevancy 67.51%

I can browse this forum for data recovery methods but before I jump into that I want to explain the events that led up to this terribleness I ve been running this external hard Western Digital formatting? - 500GB needs external drive hard drive on my XP 500GB Western Digital external hard drive - needs formatting? desktop for a little over a year and have had no problems I ve plugged it into numerous other XP computers several laptops running Vista and even a few Macs There have been no problems and I ve been able to take files on and off with ease on all these different computers Today though my friend just bought a Sony Vaio laptop with Vista and with my successful history I plugged it in without any doubts got the quot installing new devices quot thing then the statement saying that the device is ready to use But upon trying to browse the device we get a long loading process that s halted with a quot This device is not formatted Would you like to format it now quot I ve read other people s posts of their similar predicaments but it seems that it s more of a quot I just plugged this into a Mac and now I can t access it quot thing I know Sony has a tendency of ruining everything but I really have a feeling there s something else involved Something seriously needs to be done about such a ruin-everything process If I was a freaker-outer now would be the time Years of work gone to waste Ideas Evan nbsp

A:500GB Western Digital external hard drive - needs formatting?

So, are the other computers saying it is unformatted, too? Go through this thread, there are quite a few solutions listed. http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/731880-1tb-hdd-unformatted.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/500gb-western-digital-external-hard-drive-needs-formatting.734495/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi guys Don t know very much about the technical side of pcs drive problems. Prestige help! portable Please Iomega 500gb hard HDD s so please bare with me Basically I bought an Iomega Prestige primarily to connect up to my Iomega Prestige 500gb portable hard drive problems. Please help! ps When I connected it the ps Iomega Prestige 500gb portable hard drive problems. Please help! wouldn t recognise this A quick google search and I thought I d uncovered the problem The HDD is NTFS and ps will only recognise FAT So then thinking I was a boffin I decided to try and re-format the HDD to FAT which I couldn t manage to do Whatever I did do I can t exactly remember Anyways when I try and connect my HDD to my laptop it doesn t come up on the G drive which it did before It only shows up on the F drive When I click into this it only comes up autorun and Iomega Encryption Utility I clicked into the encryption utillity and thought that resetting the hard drive would fix whatever it was I messed up Still it doesn t show up on the G drive When I go to disk management I can see the hard drive under Disk but states it is unallocated Sorry if this is a bit long-winded but can anyone suggest how I can get my laptop to recognise my HDD in the G drive again so at least I can back up my ever-growing media files on it Many thanks nbsp

A:Iomega Prestige 500gb portable hard drive problems. Please help!

google search a program like "partion manager freeware", run the program, and you should be able to format the unallocated space to a FAT32(for your ps3) or ntfs for your laptop if you so chose.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/iomega-prestige-500gb-portable-hard-drive-problems-please-help.994652/
Relevancy 67.51%

So i managed to kinda mess up my hard drive that was in my old laptop and i got a new hard drive. The old hard drive i took to a technican and he fixed it. When i hooked up the old hard drive using one of those "thingies"(forgive my ignorance) that make the hard drive like an external one. so i open it and i am asked to format, the problem is that the size written is 100MB eventhough my drive is 500GB. Thanks in advance

A:500GB hard drive showing 100mb space when formatting

How is it shown in Disk Management ? "?
The 100Mb space may be leftover from the Windows install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/314316-500gb-hard-drive-showing-100mb-space-when-formatting.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I recently purchased a Samsung quot GB USB external hard disk on eBay and received it just this morning After a bit of testing I decided I wanted to separate it into two partitions one for data and one for my Wii games When I tried to do that using Windows XP s disk manager it went formatted then returned a plain quot Format did not complete successfully quot with no additional info Then the hard drive just disappeared Windows explorer will not detect it it will make the quot USB device connected disconnected quot noises upon plugging it in or unplugging it from the computer however and neither will the disk manager which means I can t simply delete the partition and format again The blue LED indicating connection between the drive and the computer does blink when I plug the drive in and then it remains static until I unplug it Any help is really really appreciated I ll gladly provide additional information recognised External 500GB) drive not format failed; hard (Samsung to the best of my knowledge nbsp

A:External hard drive (Samsung 500GB) format failed; not recognised

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-samsung-500gb-format-failed-not-recognised.964573/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi Buddies

I am having a Tecra R840-13V, Part No: PT429E-01Q01UAR, Purchased at Oman and i'm currently living at Qatar. I am using this laptop since 2010 and i need experts advise on Hard Disk upgrade. The default HDD capacity is 500GB and i planning to upgrade to 3TB and planning to get genuine Toshiba HDDs. The issue i am facing i could not figure out which model of Toshiba HDD will perfectly suits for my laptop. Kindly advise which model of HDD i can go for my Tecra. Thanks in advance.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?94877-Need-advise-on-Tecra-R840-13V-series-Hard-Drive-upgrade-from-500GB-to-3TB
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a very frustrating problem and hope someone can shed some light on the situation for me I purchased a Maxtor Basics GB external Hard Drive STM EHD -RK a while back and after having some niggling issues with it for the first couple of weeks it had been working perfectly no problems at all I had formatted it and the drive was recognised everytime it was plugged in I m running it on my Acer T P Win XP Media Centre Edition SP This weekend I was visiting some family and wanted to take my drive with me so we could watch some films and listen to some music etc Nothing out of the ordinary So the drive would have been unplugged for the duration of the journey It is not Mxtor No working Basic Drive External Hard longer 500GB the first time the drive has been unplugged It was wrapped in a towel and in my rucsack so it was protected from knocks impact etc After getting to our destination I unwrapped it and immediately plugged it in ready to go The green light came on as usual After plugging it in to my brother in-law s laptop he was running Vista it loaded up only to say that we needed admin access rights when trying to go into the music folder Ok so we tried the movies folder It let us in but wouldn t play any Mxtor Basic 500GB External Hard Drive No longer working of the movies But it let us copy one of Mxtor Basic 500GB External Hard Drive No longer working them over to his laptop which then played perfectly After removing it safely I thought it might be an XP Vista compatability problem and tried it on the home desktop they had This time nothing happened at all No green light on no nothing I heard the hard drive spin for about seconds then stop completely It has been the same way ever since I have been all over the net trying to see if someone else has experienced anything similar but found nothing I just wanted to cover all angles before I contact their support line in America or see if I can hardwire the drive into my own desktop I really cannot afford to lose the GB of data on the drive I really hope this is a simple power issue with the AC adaptor or something Many thanks in advance if anyone can help me nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mxtor-basic-500gb-external-hard-drive-no-longer-working.842968/
Relevancy 66.22%

A friend of mine asked me to help him fix his HP laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium on it I was told before i received it that the hard drive was replaced and they could not get the reinstall of vista to complete I was able to install vista via the HP recovery cd that came with the computer I did it twice actually However 500gb hard only total vista after drive Recovery install 24gb shows when I go into my computer the hard drive only reads as a total of gb - I downloaded a program by paragon which helps back up systems just for the benefit that it would show me how the hard drive is partitioned not to use the actual software It showed me there was a gb section of the disk and there was another partition at gb - I cant save anything to the computer because its showing the HD as full since it only thinks there is gb Does any of this make sense and how do i fix this I do 500gb hard drive only shows 24gb total after vista Recovery install not need the hard drive partitioned but how do i make it so its the total size of the HD

A:500gb hard drive only shows 24gb total after vista Recovery install

hellosee if this helps. http://www.vistarewired.com/2007/02/16/how...n-windows-vistagood luck

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/279132/500gb-hard-drive-only-shows-24gb-total-after-vista-recovery-install/
Relevancy 64.93%

Install and setup Maxtor One Touch Hard 500GB One Image Setup Maxtor 11 Acronis Touch External Drive True Home. 4, and GB External Hard Drive and install Acronis True Image Home Program NOTE See system specs below for my current setup I need advice and recommendations and any pitfalls to avoid to ensure that I end up with a trouble-free install and operating system I want to install and add both of the above to my current setup but am uncertain about the best way to go about achieving a successful result I intend to add the HD to take some pressure off my ACER C Drive GB free of GB by moving some programs that I have on it to the Ext HD Once the Ext HD is installed is it possible to just do a 'drag and drop' of programs from the C Drive across to the new Drive Am I able to designate or give the Setup Maxtor One Touch 4, 500GB External Hard Drive and Acronis True Image 11 Home. new Ext HD a name eg H Drive I'm also presuming that the new Setup Maxtor One Touch 4, 500GB External Hard Drive and Acronis True Image 11 Home. Ext HD will need to be 'hardlined' and powered on only while I want to use the programs etc on it and when doing updates via IE Does that sound right I want to install the Acronis True Image program to the Ext HD as 'insurance' to clone the content of my Notebook its systems functions settings etc Does this seem right Some of the programs that I intend to move to the Ext HD include these and similar others Family Tree Maker Photo Shop Irfan View Real Player Open Office etc Do these appear to 'qualify' for movement to the Ext HD Are there any issues that I should be aware of that could affect operations with the Brother MFC- CN printer scanner etc Any advice and recommendations or potential problems

A:Setup Maxtor One Touch 4, 500GB External Hard Drive and Acronis True Image 11 Home.

Yes you can give the HD a new name. Vista will assign a drive letter, but you can change that later if you wish.

No, you will not be able to 'drag and drop' most installed programs to the new drive. You may have to re-install them. The registry entries will be pointing to their old location and the apps won't start.

By hardlined, I assume you mean plugged in and switched on? Yes, it needs to be 'hardlined' to access the drive.

Using Acronis is a good idea.

Another thing you may want to do before using the external drive is format it as NTFS, to avoid any installation problems if the drive is formatted in Fat32 etc.

Your printer should be fine.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/196774-setup-maxtor-one-touch-4-500gb-external-hard-drive-acronis-true-image-11-home.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello I am thankful a site like this exists to help those of us who get stumped on difficult confusing or any other type of problems with computers and all things that in the same area of technology I am thankful to anyone who may be able to 500gb Ext. Solved: Not WD Recognized HD help me solve my dilemma and I certainly appreciate your time to answer me I have read as many of the forums as I could find relative to my problem and have tried almost every direction others have posted to solve my issue - with no avail I was using the external hard drive and tried to safely remove hardware when I was given a message that told me the device was still in use I waited several more minutes before trying again with the same results so I simply disconnected it from the USB from my Sony Vaio laptop I remembered something else I needed to do and realized it was on the had drive I just disconnected and so I plugged it back in and received a quite chirping sound from the device I realized something was wrong and went under My Computer to see if I could get into the drive and investigate - it was not Solved: WD 500gb Ext. HD Not Recognized visible I began researching the internet for solutions and began with unplugging replugging the device restarting the computer removing installing the device looking for any greyed areas or flags while into the Device Manger and running chkdsk in which it prompted me with the message that said it quot couldn t open the volume for direct access quot I have only one USB cable as this product is new and I have not opened the hard drive itself to do anything because I am concerned I may further damage things and void my warranty The only thing I can think of is waiting to receive my tax returns so that I may pay the steep price of data recovery to retrieve my precious information Is there anything else that I any be able to try in the meantime I am a bit wary of downloading a data recovery program to try and retrieve it at the potential costs of forever losing everything on the device I appreciate the time and patience you have taken to help me in this matter thank you nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

I am at my wits end hopefully someone here can help me I am attempting to upgrade my 58GB Recognized Being HDD a 500GB HDD as sisters Laptop Dell Inspiron E It came with a GB HDD Partitions C GB D GB Hiddens taking the remaining space She has used up all her available space had the system down to 500GB HDD Being Recognized as a 58GB HDD MB free which was 500GB HDD Being Recognized as a 58GB HDD causing 500GB HDD Being Recognized as a 58GB HDD all sorts of out-of-disk-space issues So I checked the specs on her Laptop saw that it was SATA and purchased a WD Scorpio Blue SATAII GB HDD WD BEVT According to WD their SATAII HDD are backwards compatible with SATA First I created an image of the quot C quot on the original GB drive then restored it to the GB When I ran on the Laptop I crashed with a BSOD quot Unmountable Boot Volume quot error It occured to me that by excluding the quot hidden quot paritions I had excluded required boot information as well So I decided to re-image her original GB HDD in its entirety When I attempted to restore to the GB HDD I found that the drive was now being reported as a GB HDD I was completely confused and thought it was my mistake from the initial Backup Restore I downloaded a tool HDD Capacity Restore and used that to restore the HDD back to factory capacity I then restored the entire partitions to the GB HDD I left the additional GB as un-partitioned space for the time being I just wanted to get the drive working in the Laptop and was going to resize the partitions later Laptop booted fine but when I ran the software to resize the partitions AGAIN the drive came up as a GB HDD with no additional space As a LAST resort for the sake of my sanity I once again restored the HDD to factory capacity and left the drive completely un-partitioned I had decided to reinstall the OS on a completely bare drive and just bring back her data manually to a clean install Laptop booted off the WindowsXP Pro disk I had and when it came time to select a drive to install on you guessed it I only had a GB drive available At this point I was pulling my hair out I went into the BIOS of the Laptop thinking that maybe there was a UDMA or LBA setting that was restricting the MB to only seeing GB No such luck there are absolutely no BIOS settings that are modifiable with regards to the Hard Drive Does anyone have any clue what s going on and hopefully how to fix this I have never heard of or come across a MB that limits a drive size like this Not recognizing a drive that is too big I ve heard of but to just arbitrarily re-size a drive to GB Shrugs nbsp

Relevancy 63.64%

It works on my other PC which is also windows 7 but does not work on my alienware laptop...

Reformatted to FAT32 from NTFS but still the same...

It recognizes my other fat32 usb stick...

Uninstalled driver and tried re-installed but device manager cannot find drivers through windows update or by searching c:\windows...

Does not show up in disk management at all...

When I connect it makes the device not recognized sound...

A:Seagate Portable 500GB Not Recognized

Before doing the below, try other USB ports on laptop.

Try:
- remove Seagate from PC
- restart
- run DriveCleanup as admin - Drive Tools for Windows
- restart
- plug in Seagate try to install

If that fails try deleting USB upper/lower filters: How to Delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters Registry Values

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/374129-seagate-portable-500gb-not-recognized.html
Relevancy 63.64%

in all fairness i have requested help with this problem at other sites as well screen in 500gb recognized gets bootup the never if i find a solution i promise to post it on all sites i just bought a brand new western digital WD AAKB caviar blue gb IDE PATA hard drive from tiger direct i have had success cloning smaller hard drives to gb hard drives with easeus disk copy so i thought i would try to clone from my original HDD to this gb i was able to clone the gb HDD s right out of the package without any 500gb never gets recognized in the bootup screen preparation i thought 500gb never gets recognized in the bootup screen i would be able to do this with this gb as well however the results i get are strange after making the master slave connection and powering up the gb never gets recognized in the bootup screen or else the bootup screen stalls at the part where it detects the hard drives i must admit that i am not really certain how to have the jumpers set on this gb the master drive is no problem because i have pulled off this procedure before cloning gb to gb i have had the jumpers on the gb set at both cable select and slave the HDD is brand new so i could get my back but i think i am making a mistake of some kind i am very much a newbie at this and i have just gotten lucky a few times with this quot hobby quot just trying to keep a backup of some cheap computer s data in case any expert help would be most appreciated

A:500gb never gets recognized in the bootup screen

i solved the problem. i swapped ribbon cables and the hard drive was detected. it showed up in disk management, and disk copy made a clone without a hitch.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/234538/500gb-never-gets-recognized-in-the-bootup-screen/
Relevancy 63.64%

Yesterday I cleared the directory quot Search Results quot thinking it was a directory with only references to files and not files themselves such as the quot Recent quot file When I noticed it started deleting k files GB I canceled it as I began to grow suspicious For some reason only a handful of files were in the recycle bin so I restored those files thinking that my computer would return to its original state To my surprise I realized that there were several folders on my computer C drive that were completely empty Somehow the files in those folders were deleted and did not get restored properly I tried utilizing the Windows System Restore and by choosing a restore point from several days back yet the files that I deleted were simply gone Is it possible for me to restore my hard drive to a previous date time completely This means that files that didn't exist before the date won't exist after the restore If it is not possible on Windows alone is there software that you can redirect me to I have seen software that previous Recover hard a date? from files all drive on has done something similar to what I want except it only allows individual files while I would like a full drive restore In case you all are wondering I have yet to back up my hard drive I'm using a fairly new computer in any way Cheers Percy

A:Recover all files on hard drive from a previous date?

Quote: Originally Posted by IndividualPercy

I tried utilizing the Windows System Restore and by choosing a restore point from several days back, yet the files that I deleted were simply gone.

This should really be known as "Windows Operating System Restore" -- as that is what it does. When it makes updates to system files (as in the registry when you install an app), it saves off the current version of every file it changes. When you later do a restore, all it does is overwrite the current file with the one that it saved. It is not a "time machine" that will reset the entire system back to an older date.

Quote:
Is it possible for me to restore my hard drive to a previous date/time completely? This means that files that didn't exist before the date won't exist after the restore.

This is what an image backup/restore does -- it makes a complete backup of an entire partition at a certain time. When you later restore from that backup, it returns the partition to the state it was in when the backup was taken. However, you have to do the image backup BEFORE you can do the restore.

Quote:
If it is not possible on Windows alone, is there software that you can redirect me to? I have seen software that has done something similar to what I want, except it only allows individual files, while I would like a full drive restore. In case you all are wondering, I have yet to back up my hard drive (I'm using a fairly new computer) in any way.

I'm a big fan of Macrium Reflect -- which will do the full image backup/restore -- and is available in a free version. But, once again, you have to do the image backup first. You can't restore without that.

Sorry, not aware of any restore products that can simply reset the drive, or a partition, to a previous point in time.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/301168-recover-all-files-hard-drive-previous-date.html
Relevancy 62.78%

My toshiba laptop, Satellite A655-S6086 had a bad hard drive and alot of the data was corrupt. This was in early January. I sent it in to a repair center and they replaced it since it was under warranty. They sent it back with a new hard drive and a factory image, and it has been working for about a week. Today, Sunday Jan 29, I had a BSOD while browsing the internet with Waterfox. In my 11 months of using this computer, I have never experienced a BSOD before. (except once when the hard drive was corrupt and i assume some vital windows files were damaged) Would like to know what is wrong and how i can fix this.

Specs are:
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 OEM
Intel Core i3-370m
4gb of DDR3
Intel GMA HD

BSOD files & perfmon included, picture of BSOD included, ask if you need anything else.

A:BSOD on repaired laptop (previous hard drive failure)

Only 1 memory dump in the uploaded files.

Only 62 updates installed since SP1 - most systems have 70 or more. Please visit Windows Update and get all available updates.

Memory dump blames a Windows video driver (dxgmms1.sys)
While it doesn't blame your Intel graphics driver, it does mention that it can't find the symbols for it.

So, I'd suggest the following:
- download a fresh set of video drivers from the Toshiba website ( Model Content Page )
- uninstall the current video drivers on your system
- install the freshly downloaded drivers
- monitor for further BSOD's

BTW - make sure that the laptop stays cool. Only use it on a hard surface and don't block the fan outlets or inlets (this will prevent overheating).

Further info on BSOD error messages available at: http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html

The following info is just FYI, I've already addressed the issues that I saw in the above paragraphs:
3RD PARTY DRIVERS PRESENT IN THE DUMP FILES
- Create a System Restore Point prior to doing any of this. DO NOT mess with the drivers themselves - leave the Windows\System32\drivers directory alone unless we specifically direct you to it!
- Please either update the older drivers from the device manufacturer's website - or uninstall them from your system. Reference links are included below.
- DO NOT use Windows Update or the Update Drivers function of Device Manager.
- Please feel free to post back about any drivers that you are having difficulty locating.
- Windows Update exceptions may be noted below for Windows drivers.

Code:

Ironx64.SYS Fri Nov 12 18:06:50 2010 (4CDDC88A)
SYMEVENT64x86.SYS Thu Mar 24 19:02:36 2011 (4D8BCD8C)
LPCFilter.sys Tue Jul 28 13:26:44 2009 (4A6F34D4)
SYMEFA64.SYS Sun Mar 13 23:20:58 2011 (4D7D899A)
SYMNETS.SYS Tue Apr 19 18:33:31 2011 (4DAE0DBB)
iaStor.sys Fri Jan 15 15:21:57 2010 (4B50CE65)
amdxata.sys Fri Mar 19 12:18:18 2010 (4BA3A3CA)
SYMDS64.SYS Tue Dec 07 19:16:58 2010 (4CFECE7A)
SRTSPX64.SYS Tue Mar 29 22:46:18 2011 (4D92997A)
TVALZ_O.SYS Mon Jul 13 22:19:26 2009 (4A5BEB2E)
tos_sps64.sys Wed Jun 24 01:31:09 2009 (4A41BA1D)
Thpevm.SYS Mon Jun 29 04:15:37 2009 (4A487829)
thpdrv.sys Sun Jun 28 22:02:56 2009 (4A4820D0)
SynTP.sys Wed Mar 10 21:02:01 2010 (4B984F19)
tdcmdpst.sys Thu Jul 30 04:39:35 2009 (4A715C47)
GEARAspiWDM.sys Mon May 16 16:56:05 2011 (4DD18F65)
Impcd.sys Fri Feb 26 18:32:11 2010 (4B8859FB)
TVALZFL.sys Fri Jun 19 06:05:44 2009 (4A3B62F8)
tap0901t.sys Wed Sep 16 02:02:43 2009 (4AB07F83)
dump_iaStor.sys Fri Jan 15 15:21:57 2010 (4B50CE65)
eeCtrl64.sys Fri Oct 21 21:18:28 2011 (4EA219E4)
EraserUtilRebootDrv.sys Fri Oct 21 21:18:29 2011 (4EA219E5)
IDSvia64.sys Tue Nov 22 15:23:23 2011 (4ECC04BB)
BHDrvx64.sys Wed Nov 23 14:32:10 2011 (4ECD4A3A)
Rt64win7.sys Mon May 03 02:43:51 2010 (4BDE70A7)
NETwNs64.sys Wed Jul 14 07:42:54 2010 (4C3DA2BE)
SRTSP64.SYS Tue Mar 29 22:46:12 2011 (4D929974)
ENG64.SYS Fri Jul 29 09:17:51 2011 (4E32B2FF)
igdkmd64.sys Wed Jan 12 13:18:33 2011 (4D2DF079)
HECIx64.sys Thu Sep 17 15:54:16 2009 (4AB293E8)
bpmp.sys Sun May 16 10:28:36 2010 (4BF00114)
dtsoftbus01.sys Fri Jan 13 08:45:46 2012 (4F10358A)
WDKMD.sys Fri Jun 04 07:50:51 2010 (4C08E89B)
bpenum.sys Sun May 16 10:28:26 2010 (4BF0010A)
point64.sys Wed May 18 04:07:20 2011 (4DD37E38)
EX64.SYS Fri Jul 29 09:15:11 2011 (4E32B25F)
pgeffect.sys Mon Jun 22 05:00:11 2009 (4A3F481B)
RTKVHD64.sys Wed Mar 17 04:49:15 2010 (4BA0978B)
IntcDAud.sys Tue Aug 31 09:07:05 2010 (4C7CFE79)
bpusb.sys Sun May 16 10:28:29 2010 (4BF0010D)
dc3d.sys Wed May 18 ... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-on-repaired-laptop-previous-hard-drive-failure-627487.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770S CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 8143 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 953766 MB, Free - 792626 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., P8Z77-V LX
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

I would like to know how to get rid of old areas that have been visited on the web and also any already deleted information
that I have been told stays on the hard drive. I have the History option set so not to record and save the history. I would like to regain the lost space on my H/D. Is there a method of cleaning this up without reformatting the hard-drive.

Bruce

Relevancy 62.78%

Hello!
I have been systematically moving old pictures and other files of value from my the hard disk that used to my primary drive in my old PC. I have now moved everything over and want to delete everything from it making it an empty drive for storage. Unfortunately it seems a lot files are still under the administrative authority of my my previous administrators account. I have tried using an unlocker program and taken ownership of the folders (of which there are now three remaining: Documents and settings, program files, Windows) to no avail. I could of course try booting my system from my old windows xp operating system which should still be intact on the drive, but what use would that be? there wouldn't be a way of transferring ownership from OS to another?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

A:Cannot delete files from previous hard drive, administrative issues

Hello Harrison, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Are you able to just do a quick format of the drive/partition that you wanted empty instead?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/230231-cannot-delete-files-previous-hard-drive-administrative-issues.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hello I have a Dell Inspiron laptop I have an image of the entire hard drive that I created when I first got the computer using Acronis TrueImage and I d like to restore that image returning the laptop back to that fresh clean original state I ve done this two or three times before and it worked great each time But now there s a problem Normally I would in boots as when drive external but laptop hard Primary recognized isn't drive used connect to the laptop a USB storage backup drive that has the disk image boot the laptop from a Rescue Media CD created by Acronis then restore that disk image from the back-up drive onto the laptop s HDD When I tried it this time round the laptop s HDD was not listed in TrueImage at all I created a new rescue media disk tried it again and got the same result I then took the HDD out of the laptop connected it to Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive an adapter kit that let s you power up and plug in the drive via a USB port and external power supply and tried the same procedure using my desktop to run the operation Same result The drive was not detected by Acronis The drive does not seem to spin up at all Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive when it is connected Keep in mind the drive still works when installed in the laptop -- it boots into Windows XP etc When I plug the drive into my desktop the drive does not show up in Disk Management Start Right-click My Computer Manage Disk Management It doesn t show up in either of the two right-side windows so there s no way I know of to format it or do any work on it in Windows When I go to Device Manager Disk Drives I see quot USB Device quot for that drive and under Properties it is listed as quot Disk Drives quot for quot Device Type quot and its status says it is working properly So what I don t get is it works fine when it is in the laptop boots into XP etc but when connected as an external drive or when the laptop is being run off of CD the drive can t be detected and not on just one computer but multiple Is it junk Any ideas nbsp

A:Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive

It's a power issue. Had the same issue taking a 2.5" laptop hdd and attempting to hook up w/ a passive usb sata hdd cable. my recommendation is to use a powered usb sata cable. like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119475 having proper power will allow the USB bus to detect and power the hdd correctly. Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-hard-drive-boots-in-laptop-but-isnt-recognized-when-used-as-external-drive.174938/
Relevancy 61.49%

Heya everyone.

I have a second hard drive in my desktop stored for media stuff ( three folders, pictures, music and videos).
I had a folder that I wanted to move from my portable hard drive to my desktop media hard drive so I used the cut paste command (crtl+x, ctrl v) to put it in there but after it was finished, my videos folder was deleted. I don't remember getting a warning message about the deletion or any pop ups. The folder from my portable hard drive has moved successfully but now my videos folder is gone and I even can see that it made more room for my media storage now.

There is no previous version when I go into my second hard drive properties. How can I recover my videos folder back or get back to the last state?
Thanks for reading

A:Solved: Restore second hard drive to previous state or recover deleted folder from it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-restore-second-hard-drive-to-previous-state-or-recover-deleted-folder-from-it.1112702/
Relevancy 60.63%

I am posting here as well as in the hard drives part...

My question is: I have XP Pro on my machine that once recognized the external firewire hard drive attached to it (showed up as drive letter in "My
Computer"). Now, the passthru works fine on the ext. hard drive feeding
another firewire device, but I can not get the pc to show a drive letter for
the ext. drive anymore. The ext. drive shows up fine on another pc w/ xp
pro. What .dll or file is missing or has been corrupted to cause this? I
also have a client that is experiencing the similar problem with his new pc
w/xp pro and a USB thumb drive, and thought these 2 issues may be similar in
nature.

Thanks in advance,
Dave S. A+ certified

A:Ext. hard drive is recognized, but no drive letter assigned in XP Pro

Hello... any ideas??? anyone???

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/ext-hard-drive-is-recognized-but-no-drive-letter-assigned-in-xp-pro-17565.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I have a Dell Dimension drive XP, hard WD recognized drive with Installing new SATA not MCE that I ordered with a single drive In retrospect I should have ordered it with drives and without MCE but that is another discussion I am wanting to install a new OEM WD Cavier SATA with dual boot operating systems on the same drive but partitioned XP Pro and MCE I have installed the WD drive as the second drive in position and made a partition of GB The drive is Installing new WD SATA hard drive with XP, drive not recognized seen by the system I reboot the system and go into setup disable the Maxtor SATA drive one delivered with system and in position change the Installing new WD SATA hard drive with XP, drive not recognized boot order so it boots from CD save the changes I boot the system with the Win XP Pro CD and in the FDD Installing new WD SATA hard drive with XP, drive not recognized I have WD SATA drivers The system boots I hit F and it looks as though it is reading the SATA controller drivers Needless to say the system doesn t recognize that a hard drive is present Please help If anyone has any ideas or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-new-wd-sata-hard-drive-with-xp-drive-not-recognized.18023/
Relevancy 60.63%

I used to have a cd rom and a cd burner master slaved to my motherboard a while ago that ide slot died so i master slaved my hard drive and my burner CD Hard Drive not recognized and Dell Dimension Drive to the working ide slot a few days ago the computer crashed i dont remember the exacy error but it no longer recognized the hard drive Dell Dimension Hard Drive and CD Drive not recognized when i tried to restart it brought me to the strike f to reboot strike f for options screen i assumed this meant that the hard Dell Dimension Hard Drive and CD Drive not recognized drive was toast but upon further inspection when trying to change the boot sequence in the BIOS it recognized the floppy drive but the the hard drive nor the cd drive were recognized this lead me to believe that the second ide slot had now gone bad as well my brother has another dell dimension so i opened his up removed his hard drive and replaced it with the questionable hard drive i booted it and got Boot Failure System Halted is this enough evidence of a hard drive failure ive come to terms with it being time for a new computer but im still hoping everything on the hard drive can be recovered any opinions suggestions nbsp

A:Dell Dimension Hard Drive and CD Drive not recognized

Did you check that the Master/Slave jumpers were set correctly?
Moving a HD to another PC normally does NOT work, unless both PCs are identical in hardware. Put your 'old' HD as a slave in your brother's PC, boot up and see if you can access your old drive. Save whatever you can and burn onto CD/DVD.
Then go buy another PC, anything but Dell or eMachines!
Or better, if you have the know-how, build your own from components.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-hard-drive-and-cd-drive-not-recognized.63571/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi there everyone,

I recently got a blue screen (not my first), but this time my neither of my hard drives are recognized in my BIOS. I run Windows XP off of my master, and use my slave for backup and for my personal data. While I do work on computers rather frequently, most of it is virus problems and stuff like that. I do have a boot cd that I created and neither hard drive shows up using that either. I would assume that this is a motherboard problem, but like I said, my knowledge with troubleshooting this type of problem is virtually non-existent. Any help would be appreciated. I know that I have not given much information in this post, but honestly, I don't know what needs to be known in order to help troubleshoot this. I am happy to provide any more information that is needed. Thanks again!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-recognized.904788/
Relevancy 60.2%

Appreciate some assistance.

Have an AZZa mainboard, 5VMX, with an AMD K6-2/550 CPU and an AWARD BIOS 07/04/2000-VP3-586B-W877-2A5LEP8AC-00.

Trying to install a hard drive, and it will not recognize it. Keep getting "Primary Master hard disk failure" over and over.

This computer was infected by a virus a while back. It was never quite right, so decided to clear out the hard drive, and start from scratch. However, the BIOS will not auto detect the hard drive that was on it, nor any other hard drive. Have tried 3 different ones.

The cables are tight, and connected correctly.

Any ideas on what to do?

Relevancy 60.2%

Well I am back again sooner than I expected. I am running Win XP Home (upgraded Win98). I currently have two hard drives-14gig with the OS on it and a 60gig for everything else. Both are IDE.

I purchased a Maxtor 120gig sata hard drive and my intentions were to eliminate the 14gig as the boot drive by replacing it with the new one. I didn't have an onboard connection so I installed a PCI controller which the device manager says is working properly.

I figured no sweat, just install the new drive, format, partition and copy the boot drive to the new one using MaxBlast3. The problem is I can't get the computer to recognize the new hard drive when it is hooked up so I cannot do squat.

Anyone got any input that might help me?

It doesn't show up in the bios or My Computer.

Thanks in advance!

Relevancy 60.2%

The title is not exaclty correct This is a little different question Hard Second not EXT drive recognized than I have seen searching the various forums I had two WD GB external hard drives connected via USB and working well not a trusting soul Due to the dearth of USB ports on this old computer which still works well Second EXT Hard drive not recognized I have to disconnect one of these hard drives to upload photos etc I use the safe hardware disconnect to do this and then plug the nd hard drive back in It worked fine until now Evidently Second EXT Hard drive not recognized the nd hard drive was not quot stopped quot the last time I disconnected it and now I cannot get it to be recognized I have tried all of the WD suggestions but none work I did get it listed under quot my computer once quot but when I tried to Second EXT Hard drive not recognized open it I got the message to stop it which I did Shutting down the computer and then powering up the hard drive it does spin up and plugging it in does not work Sorry about the long description but and help will be appreciated Oh yes the first ext hard drive is still working OK and all my data is being backed up on it Thanks much nbsp

Relevancy 60.2%

I have hard drive connected with a USB to my Windows 7 computer.
I got a message Scan and Fix (recommended) or Continue. I selected the Scan and Fix. Now I cannot access the drive.

Below is what I've tried so far. Any help will surely be appreciated.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>g
'g' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /f g
The drive, the path, or the file name is not valid.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /f g:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted.

C:\Windows\system32>

A:Hard drive not recognized

Are you able to see the drive in Computer? Are you able to see the drive in the BIOS, Disk Management? Is it in an enclosure or does it just use a USB adapter/connector.

Try and program like Recuva or GetDataBack to see if those applications can access the drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drive-not-recognized-694175.html
Relevancy 60.2%

My external hard drive EHD is not being recognized by several computers that run on Windows XP and XP Professional The EHD is Western Digital Series USB Old USB Model Number WD B -RNN It is just over years old and is out of warranty I ve done some reading online forums such as this where users have had similar problems but I didn t see any solutions or any that I understood so I ask that if people have suggestions to guide me through it step-by-step It was working a few days ago The other day I was doing a file search on it and it hard drive not recognized stopped responding in mid-search so hard drive not recognized I started the search again and it stopped responding again in mid-search After that the computer won t even recognize it as a separate drive although the bottom right of screen shows a symbol that there is an external HD plugged in Windows XP detects that I plugged in the external hard drive and the icon Safely remove device appears too in the tool bar However I cannot see the drive in My Computer I ve tried to plug it into other PCs including my laptop and the same thing happens it isn t seen under My Computer but the icon appears on the taskbar I ve tried to unplug it amp re-plug amp restart the computer but nothing I ve tried installing the driver again and restarting to no avail Before I plug in the drive I open the Control Panel Administrative Tools Computer Management window but when the drive is plugged in the Control Panel Administrative Tools Computer Management window says it is Not Responding so a window pops up and I hit End Program Also the Start button and Windows taskbar on bottom of screen disappears when the EHD is plugged in When I unplug the USB cable from the PC the Start button and taskbar reappear and the Control Panel Administrative Tools Computer Management window works fine Strange that it started working when I was doing the file search then it stopped responding and now it s not even being recognized by a computer I don t understand how that could happen Nothing happened to it b w it working and not working Another thing I noticed was with the lights on the EHD The EHD has lights a red one and a green one In the past when I plugged in the EHD it would take a few seconds for the PC to open a window saying that the drive was recognized and asking me what folder I wanted to open During these few seconds the red access light would be on and flashing Now when I plug the EHD into the PC the red light stays on not flashing for seconds the goes off for seconds then goes back on for seconds then on again for and so on It did this pattern of on for and off for for about minutes before I stopped observing this It never did this before so something is wrong and I think it s the hard drive itself and not any of the computers However I am wondering whether any recent updates Windows or Norton might have affected a computers ability to recognize the hard drive Now when I plug in the drive to just the power electrical cord I do hear it boot up and spinning inside the case as usual and the green power light is illuminated When I gently shake the drive I don t hear any parts flopping around as if something had broken off The user s manual for this unit does not offer any help for this problem I m not a computer expert so if people have questions suggestions please tell me what to do step-by-step using as little computerese as possible The IDE ATA ATAPI controllers are Intel DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller CB I saw someone ask for this info on another post re EHD s not being recognized so I looked this up on the PCs I use and posted it here in case this is useful Is there a store that I can take my drive to and they can see what the problem is and try and fix it A guy in IT at my university opened the case and took the drive out He plugged it in another PC but it too wouldn t recognize it He ran the Western Digital diagnostics and it came up with quot Error Disc Not ready quot so there is something wrong w... Read more

A:hard drive not recognized

Well it certainly sounds like the drive has died.

If it helps, CompUSA is selling a Hitachi 200Gb HDD for $70 after mail-in rebates this week. Better hurry. It ends tomorrow I think.

Now as far as trying to recover data..There is one technique (which sounds really weird but works for some people). Kind of a last resort technique when all else fails and you don't want to spend big money on data recovery.

Put the old HDD in a ziplock bag and stick it in the freezer for a few hours. The cold sometimes helps the HDD work for a little bit of time. You would then take the chilled HDD to a working PC and install it as a slave so you can hopefully copy as much data as possible off it.

Good luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-recognized.332112/
Relevancy 60.2%

I just built a system using an SSD as the main drive. Everything is humming along just fine except that a second 1Tb Seagate Hard Drive is not being recognized by the system. I had to use a Molex to Sata converter to connect it because the SATA Drive coming off the power supply only reaches the SSD and Optical.

I'm rather new at this and so................

Thanks.

A:Hard Drive Not Recognized

Is it detected in the BIOS? Is it detected in Device Manager as a drive? If yes then you likely just need to initialize, partition, format, and assign it a drive letter through Disk Management: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/...n#create-format-hard-disk-partition=windows-7

Also, your power supply should have more than one SATA power cable. What power supply do you have?
I'd use the adapter on the optical drive and give the hard drive the SATA connector from the PSU instead.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-recognized.1106261/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi,
Trying to sort out an old computer with a chaintech CT-6BTA3 motherboard. I did have it working fine and it was running windows 98 no problem, accessing internet etc. It then stalled on boot up at the usual 'verifying DMI data pool' problem and as the hard drive was clicking decided that the HDD was the problem. I have tried a Maxtor HDD that was given to me and now both HDDs are not recognized by the BIOS or during boot up. It just says '0' for all drives. I have checked cables etc, cleared the CMOS and loaded up the defaults. I have tried 'auto' detecting and 'normal' for the drive settings but neither drive is working. I have tried FDISK but no drive is found. Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks Ian

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-recognized.891527/
Relevancy 60.2%

I recently purchased a new IBM 20.5 GB hard drive for my PC. I want to add it to my current hard drive. I connected to my IDE cable that holds the slave drive and then booted. The BIOS does not recognize it.(I have an Ultra ATA66 Card installed currently where the slave is connected to). What should I do? Thanks for all help.
Robert

Relevancy 60.2%

I have a Kingwin Recognized Not Drive Hard quot SATA hotswap rack in both my systems My i K and my Hard Drive Not Recognized E systems are both running Windows The E is Pro bit GB DDR Hard Drive Not Recognized and the i is bit Ultimate with GB s of DDR My swap drive is a TB Hitachi Deskstar When I load it into the i system it s recognized right away The E system doesn t see it unless I reboot I have a N Router cable modem so the E in the living room connects wireless It s also connected to my quot TV but I can t run video unless I swap the drive into that one and run the video directly on the system Am I doing something wrong In particular the i has a blue ray burner but the E doesn t so I m uploading movies from the ROM to the HDD and playing the HD movies in the living room I hope thats not confusing nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-recognized.192772/
Relevancy 60.2%

When booting up my one-year-old dell laptop, I get the message

"primary hard disk 0 is not found"

I tried to boot up from the XP cd that came with my computer, but it tries to install XP rather than just boot the computer. It fails because it does not recognize the hard drive.

I was thinking that if I was able to install off the CD I could reformat the hard drive and just start over. Is there a way that could work, or will I need to buy a new hard drive for it?

This all happened this morning after I tried to restart my computer because it gave me the "blue screen"

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Relevancy 60.2%

Help please hopefully someone can help me The problem is back I had this problem where intermittently usually when i came out of sleep mode the hard drive with my data would Not Recognized Drive Hard quot disappear quot I would have to reboot to get it back Whenever this happened I d get error msgs saying quot windows delayed write failed could not write to the file D Mft quot Well the problem began to get more frequent and Hard Drive Not Recognized one day I could no longer get the drive back after rebooting It is a Seagate Barracuda gb SATA I ran the seagate tests it passed So I sent the drive back on an RMA and got a new one THe original one worked fine for years For about weeks the new one worked fine but NOW its back This time it happened twice tonight as Hard Drive Not Recognized I was working All of a sudden I get the delayed write error and sure enough when i check quot my computer quot it is GONE I have to reboot I was working on editing some digital photos converting raw images each one is about mb and as the program was writing the converted file it took a LONG time to write and then i got the error Even when I dont get the error it takes a very long time to write a mb file to the disk I tried saving the file to my c drive and it took just seconds Something is wrong here Now I dont think my original hard drive was even bad What could be going on in my computer to make it not see the hard drive BTW this drive is not full It has about gb free I m hoping to get some help I may have to trash this computer which i built myself and buy a Dell or something because I can t deal with constant strange issues like this that may destroy my data nbsp

Relevancy 60.2%

So... I have an external (Sata) drive and it was in the middle of copying files from my laptop to the drive. The case slipped off of the bed (next to the laptop) and fell about 2 feet on to the carpet. Now the drive is not immediately recognized when connected. After a while I get the message that says: "The drive is not ready for use; its door may be open".

Sometimes I get a message saying, "The request can not be performed because of an I/O device error."

How can I fix this issue?

Thank you so much!!

A:Hard Drive is not recognized

Hard drives, and electronics in general, don't like to be dropped.

There's a chance it can be only the enclosure and not the hard drive inside; you'd have to take apart the enclosure, remove the hard drive, and try connecting the hard drive inside/internally in your PC and see if it works.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-is-not-recognized.1010916/
Relevancy 60.2%

My computer is a Dell XPS ONE with a samsung hard drive running Vista I have had nothing but problems with the hard drive on it Changed it times going on I tried to run repair but it froze and I shut down the computer and now I can t boot from it Presently I am using ubuntu from a cd on it so I can access the internet Ubuntu doesn t recognize my hard drive either it just shows recognized not Hard drive a drive quot mass storage quot but can t mount it I do have a backup but it is a Hard drive not recognized couple of weeks old and I wanted to get the most recent files which are also important to me Is there anything I can do The last time this happened I was able to access my OS through Ubuntu but that is not the case this time Also when I was trying to boot up I kept getting an error message something about PXE nbsp

The 1st thing to do is figure out what is killing your HDD's. You could try installing the drive as a second drive in another computer or into an External Enclosure to see if the drive it self is readable, and if it is you can copy data off it that way.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-recognized.903074/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi from glenaurora I have recently installed a nd GB HD and it will not work on my desktop It s use is for extra capacity only The OS is Windows XP home It is installed via the shared ribbon cable with the original GB HD The ribbon cable is plugged into the secondary mother board connector this is the way it s always been The GB HD New is connected to power recognized drive hard New not and the grey pin connector and the GB HD Old connected to the black pin connector The New hard drive not recognized old HD is set to quot master quot and the new HD is set to quot slave quot When both are connected I get a message upon boot up telling me there is no OS installed When I disconnect the GB HD from power and the ribbon cable everything works fine Could this be a matter of formatting the new HD or does it need to be connected seperately to the primary ribbon cable connector on the mother board It only lists HD C and at no time lists the other HD nbsp

A:New hard drive not recognized

It might just be an issue with boot priorities in BIOS. Head into BIOS and check the boot order.

Ideally you want it to be the following:

1st: CD/DVD drive
2nd: Your 160GB hard drive with the OS installed.
3rd: Can be anything really.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hard-drive-not-recognized.151170/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hard Drive Not Recognized i followed this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jclt_ylFWXs but i obviously done it wrong and wiped my hard drive and had to buy a new one. I still have the old one what i am wondering is can i take the hard drive out when my system is running and put the old one in and fix it with drivers. It's a Western digital hard drive if that makes any difference.
Thank you in advance.

hi there

well on the motherboard you should have a few sata connectors so why don't you plug the drive(leave the new drive in you don't need to take it out) that you replaced back in(WARNING please unplug the pc from the mains lead pull the cable from the pc and press the on/off button for 5-10 seconds to discharge any power in the machine, and touch a piece of clear metal on the pc case to earth yourself to rid any harmful static before doing any work on your pc) and we will go from there ok. i take it its a internal drive? could you post your machine specs to help with diagnosing problems in the forums please.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/161881-hard-drive-not-recognized.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I just bought a new drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148100) for a case I've had for about two years (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817173002R). Windows is not recognizing the drive at all and I've tried the standard fixes. First and foremost, is the drive compatiable with the case? What else can I do to get Windows to recognize the new hardware?

Relevancy 60.2%

Hey guys, I have a problem; I'm repairing a gateway emachines T6420 with xp, media center pc. When it tries to boot it comes up with disk boot failure, insert boot disk (no change after inserting disk)! I went into bios and of course it's not recognizing any drives, not even the cd/dvd. I replaced the hard drive and cd; the connections are good. Is ther anything I can check other than what I've already done; any suggestions at all!! Please help! Is there a setting in bios I should be looking at? Any help would be deeply appreciated

Relevancy 60.2%

I have an Emachines computer that died (motherboard). I removed the hard drive and plugged it into an external bay to make sure it was OK and it checked out fine. I then installed it in a Dell computer as the master drive, but when I turn on the computer it says that no media was found, that the boot device was missing, and it stops the system. Any ideas as to why? How do I set it to recognize the drive? I would love to get it going. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

A:Hard Drive not Recognized - Why?

Check that the hard drive shows correctly in the BIOS.
If not, you probably haven't attached/jumpered it correctly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-recognized-why.484195/
Relevancy 60.2%

I bought an SATA 2.5 hard drive housed in an external case powered by USB, on ebay:

40GB USB 2.0 External Portable 2.5" w/ OEM Hard Drive - eBay (item 200389641931 end time Dec-29-09 13:26:13 PST)

Win 7 can't find a driver and it didn't come packaged with one. How can I get Win 7 to recognized the drive?

Thanks much,
Harold

A:USB Hard Drive Not Recognized

Hello Harold,
Is the drive listed in Device Manager?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/47574-usb-hard-drive-not-recognized.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I have a compaq presario 2100 running XP. Out of the blue it powered itself down. I powered back on and received the following error "Operating System not found". I then brought it up and brought up the setup. I ran the hard drive test and received "no IDE device". So I popped my recover CD in and tried to boot off of it. I also made the CD device the first avail for boot sequence. It will not boot off the CD and now I'm receiving the following message before getting the "no operating system", it's "PXE-E61 media test failure check cable". I have receded the hard drive, but disk is not turning and blue light does not come on. So, shouldn't the recover CD boot and how can I tell if the disk is bad? Any help would be great!

Relevancy 60.2%

After removing a virus my rd hard drive is no longer being recognize My apologies if this should be in hardware recognized not Hard drive but I didn t know if it was something that had to do with windows The virus was anti-virus protection I used antizeroaccess stopzilla avg which is my normal antivirus malwarebytes and kapersky Yes all of them It was a nasty virus My main hard drive c shows up as well as my second drive e My other drive used to show up as well as f but since all of this it hasn Hard drive not recognized t Nothing else was changed besides resetting the cmos battery and a couple of disconnect reconnections becasue the drive wasn t showing up Ide channel master and Ide channel slave set to cable select are the hd s Ide channel is a disk drive The rd HD is also Hard drive not recognized set to cable select but that shouldn t matter cause that s what it was set to before I also tried another spare hard drive I Hard drive not recognized had with the same connections as the rd hard drive marked as slave and cable select It was not found either not in my computer or in bios Not sure what happened No other hardware was removed or inserted If someone could help me out I d greatly appreciate it I have a lot of stuff on there Running windows Mobo gigabyte ep -ud l

One additional piece of info. the disk is cycling with power and I've tried another sata cable and sata port

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/429681/hard-drive-not-recognized/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello,

So I've recently built a new PC and I installed 4 hard drives on it.

1)256GB SSD
2)500GB HDD
3)600GB HDD
4)600GB HDD

My problem is that the 3rd HDD drive is not recognized and its displayed as "Intel Raid 0 Volume" in Device Manager (I didn't change any settings in BIOS for RAID configuration).

When I enter Disk Management I get the message:

And also in partition management its displayed as "Disk 3 Unknown 1192.34GB Not initialized - Unallocated" (the actual HDD size is 600GB)

Two things I noticed:
- In BIOS all the drives are displayed correctly
- I used a SATA to USB adapter and the drive works fine with all the data on it.

I tried running some Chkdsk tests but didn't get anywhere since the drive doesn't event have a letter assigned to begin with.

Anyone knows a possible solution?

Thank you

A:Hard drive not recognized on new PC

Assign a letter to it manually and it should work.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/67569-hard-drive-not-recognized-new-pc.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi I quot m running a home-built recognized not drive Hard computer with a mach-speed MB a Celeron G processor Mb DDR RAM a DVD-Rom CD RW and I m running Win SE I was doing a little experimenting with a couple of old hard drives I aquired they re both about Gig I put them both in my machine and loaded my OS Windows SE I formatted and partitioned both drives One I jumpered as quot primary-master quot and the other I jumpered as quot primary-slave quot Everything worked fine I drag dropped some files onto the slave drive I switched my quot primary-master quot to a larger hard drive and reloaded my OS formatting before loading my Windows SE OS this time when I went to Windows explorer to move the files to the larger drive the smaller one was not shown I re-booted the machine and in the start-up I see the drive listed but I can t find it in Hard drive not recognized My Computer or Windows Explorer I ve double triple and quadruple checked my Hard drive not recognized jumper positions and cable positions and everything is as it should be I hear and feel the drive respond when I boot the machine and the indicator light comes on while the machine is booting The files aren t quot that quot Hard drive not recognized important that I can t reformat the drive or even chuck it however I did put some music files on it that I d like to quot try quot to get back I m more interested in the learning end of this dilemma I could probably take it to a shop and see if they can get my files back but I don t think the files are important enough to spend that much money for you know Can anyone help Thanks Jim nbsp

I would try connecting just the drive your having a problem with by itself as master or slave just to see if it is recognized. Then at least you know the drive didn't die and its just a configuration problem.

Also I think I have seen on some drives there is jumper setting for "master" and another setting for "master w/slave present" You may want to check that on the new drive you installed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-recognized.221791/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have an old computer used to be my Father s When he past away a nephew of mine thought he was helping trying to protect the get recognized, Can't help hard drive stored information so he said he didn t open the case or change anything physicaly He said all he did was reformat the HDD then deleat the partisions Now I can t get the partisions replaced The computer shows that it can Can't get hard drive recognized, help t initialize the drive controller The computer is a AST Bravo sx with a Seagate MB Seagate HDD model ST A with Bravo SX Rel When trying to start FDISK the main screen nor any other for that matter will come up on the screen when I load a disk from Windows with the FDISK on it After trying to replace the partitions using the code fdisk pri the system only shows a flashing quot - quot on the screen for a long time Better than an hour and then displays an error Error initializing hard disk controller sometimes it displays an error Error encountered initializing hard drive Part of the problem is I think dad was using Windows but I m not sure I don t have a copy of that version of windows The only commands of fdisk I can get to work is the one from above and the fdisk status commands No others seem to work and I get no screens at all with it The floppy I m using is a windows created disk with fdisk on it Please help nbsp

A:Can't get hard drive recognized, help

I guess you are trying to boot from a floppy, but I'm not sure what's happening. If you are using a Win95 boot disk what is happening?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-get-hard-drive-recognized-help.488145/
Relevancy 60.2%

I m trying to replace drive recognized hard not New the hard drive in my Compaq Presario R Athlon laptop and do a clean install of XP My failed hard drive is an GB ATA IDE Hitachi The new hard drive is GB PATA EIDE Western Digital I have no idea what I m doing so New hard drive not recognized I thought I d see how far I could get When I choose to change the boot order I get a screen that offers among other thing to enter setup If I choose to Enter Setup I get sent to the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility with the tabs quot Main Security Advanced Tools and Exit quot at the top The only thing that I understand to do that I m sure won t cause any unintentional damage is in the Tools tab where I have the one option which is to execute quot HDD Self-Test quot The result of the test is quot No IDE Device quot I have two disks quot Operating System CD Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP quot and quot Application and Driver Recovery DVD quot When I reboot with the OS CD in the drive a bunch of files are loaded and I am given the choice to install XP repair XP or to quit without installing When I choose to install I get the message quot Setup did not find any hard drives installed on your computer quot Also included on the page is the statement that I may have to run a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program Might this be a reference to Automated System Recovery which I don t have Obviously the new hard drive is not being recognized This was not foretold by its installation which was routine uneventful and without incident Tech support at CompUSA New hard drive not recognized said it was probably a motherboard issue Does this sound right Does anyone have any other answers

A:New hard drive not recognized

Compaq...is responsible for detemining what your reinstallation options are...and how they work...unless you have a purchased MS Windows CD which can be used to do the reinstallation.If the two disks you mention...came with that system...you need to review the procedures for using such.Since this is a laptop...I assume that you have disks provided by Compaq.http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=425696&prodTypeId=321957&objectID=c00006110Your System's Support WebpageIf both hard drives are PATA/IDE...then I would check the jumper settings you currently have on the new drive. Typical jumper settings should be as prescribed by the hard drive manufacturer.http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/981/c/123/session/L3RpbWUvMTMxOTczMzc5OC9zaWQvQ0x5YWJESGs%3DLouis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/425279/new-hard-drive-not-recognized/
Relevancy 60.2%

My Western Digital USB hard drive was recently connected to a MAC to transfer some files. When I connected it back to my windows PC, it does not recognize the drive.

Help please!!!!

A:USB Hard Drive not recognized

Quote: Originally Posted by SomanS

My Western Digital USB hard drive was recently connected to a MAC to transfer some files. When I connected it back to my windows PC, it does not recognize the drive.

Help please!!!!

Is it recognized in BIOS? what format is it? Does it have a drive letter?
Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/95516-usb-hard-drive-not-recognized.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I IDE recognized hard drive not was posting in another thread and realized I shouldn't hijack his her thread I also tried looking around the forums for a resolution IDE hard drive not recognized to my problem and either can't find it or probably didn't look hard enough Before I get into the problem here's my HD configuration x GB IDE hard drive not recognized SATA HD partitions -- Master Drive -- Windows Pro -bit installed in one of the partitions GB partition x GB IDE IDE hard drive not recognized HD no partitions -- Slave Drive -- just for file dump Here's my problem I installed Windows Pro -bit on one of the partitions of the SATA HD It works great and recognizes both partitions of this drive However I cannot quot see quot my IDE HD I went through to disk management and I can see the drive there with no drive letter I tried to assign it a drive letter via right clicking but all options were grayed out meaning not clickable I read other posts but they either have the same solution assigning drive letter or the problem is slightly different from mine I've had this HD configuration before and had Windows XP Pro -bit on it too Anyways I'm not sure what to do and I don't want to delete the files on that HD Anyone have a solution to this problem Thanks

A:IDE hard drive not recognized

I should also add that the two partitions have drive letters of C: and D: (Windows installed on C: ). Also, I'm not dual-booting (as I see that question being asked in other threads).

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/32550-ide-hard-drive-not-recognized.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Well my Windows laptop has been dead for a while but now I Hard drive not recognized. want to see Hard drive not recognized. if it can be fixed The laptop no longer recognizes the hard drive I checked in the BIOS settings and it shows there being no hard drive whatsoever I opened the laptop up and made sure nothing was broken nothing was I pulled the hard drive out and neither the hard drive or the connectors are showing any external damage My theory is that it's suffered some sort of internal damage It was already giving me bad sector warnings and BSODs before the incident happened Another theory popped into my head The motherboard might be going out as one of the RAM chips that came default with it started causing it to Hard drive not recognized. freeze but removing it would allow the computer to run properly But one thing that goes against this idea is that I can still run Linux distros off of my USB drive Do you think either of these are the cause Or do you all have any other ideas that might explain it and or make it run off the hard drive again Oh yea Specs Dell Latitude D Hitachi Travelstar GB rpm HDD I'll look for the motherboard sometime soon Thanks for your support in advance

A:Hard drive not recognized.

Well...

You could have bad memory and you could have a bad drive. Do you have an optical drive? If yes, boot your notebook up with a "live" version of Ubuntu, Knoppix or similar program.

Knoppix Linux Boot CD, Download Disk and Documents, Discuss, Get Help

Download | Ubuntu

Test your computer. If is seems okay, then it's time to test your other memory module out. If it's good fine. Otherwise order another memory module.

My sister-in-law's notebook had a bad drive. It's still sitting on my desk. I replaced it and she's good to go.

It's just a process of elimination. First make sure your notebook works. Buy your memory from Crucial.com. Hard drive from newegg.com

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/113501-hard-drive-not-recognized.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi,

I have an iomega hard drive that worked fine for a few months but is no longer recognized by any computer. I store movies on it and my television still recognizes it but my Macbook does not nor does my friends PC. I am very much a computer novice. Thanks to anyone who can help.

A:hard drive not recognized

see if it is on tv mode. if so switch it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-recognized.967978/
Relevancy 60.2%

I am building a computer from scratch and I've run into one problem.

I have installed a Hitachi 80GB SATA hard drive, and it is recognized by the BIOS and motherboard, but when I try to install WinXP Pro it tells me I have no hard drive installed and therefore can't format/partition/install windows.
Because it's a SATA drive, it has no jumpers and is set to master by default, so that's not the problem. It's a completely new drive, so it shouldn't have anything on it at all.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Hitachi 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model HDS722580VLSA80
ASUS A7V880 Motherboard with VIA KT880 Chipset

Relevancy 60.2%

Hey can anyone please help me out with this problem. I got a new ADATA Nobility NH03 1TB 3.0 External HDD and it works on the USB 2.0 ports but it is not recognized at all on the 3.0 ports, the device still lights up when I plug it into the port but nothing happens on the pc. The USB 3.0 port can see my other USB 2.0 devices though. My motherboard is an ASRock 870 Extreme3. I have the USB 3.0 enabled in my BIOS.

Please help me out and thank you.

A:USB 3.0 Hard Drive not being recognized

nevermind i fixed it

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/125865-usb-3-0-hard-drive-not-being-recognized.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I've got a Dell Dimension 4600. I think the hard drive is failing so I took an old hard drive that I had (western digital caviar wd600) and replaced the one that came with the dell with the western digital one. I booted with the xp cd in and ran an install formatting the drive , but now when I try to boot I get a message saying

Primary Hard Disk Drive 0 not found

Anyone know what I've done wrong?

Thanks,

Matt

Relevancy 60.2%

HELP! I have a 40GB HD that I want to use as an external drive. I have it hooked up through a USB port and an independent power supply. My problem is this: I wanted to format it and followed directions from a Google site. They told me to right click on My Computer, use the Manage option, go to Drive Manager and then get rid of the partion on the drive. When I did this, the drive dissappeared from "My Computer" AND the Drive Manager although it still shows up in my Device Manager. What do I need to do so that my XP home edition will again recognize the drive? I sure would appreciate any help.

Relevancy 60.2%

Hey I have a new Western Digital 500GB Caviar Green Hard Drive, and it is recognized in my computer, it is formatted and I have marked the partition as active. Yet it will not show up in my Windows 7 installation. How do I make it show up in the installation screen?

Did you assign it a drive letter by right clicking on it ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/81213-hard-drive-not-recognized.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi all I have noticed a number of requests to solve this issue all without any real resolution Recognized Drive not Hard One person was lucky enough for his system to suddenly find the offending item The operating system may identify the Hard Drive not Recognized new drive in System Properties but not in Windows Hard Drive not Recognized Explorer However it should be noted that any Hard Drive whether it is internal or extenal has to be prepared by the system itself in order to be able to use that hard drive Back in the good old days of DOS this would have meant using the FDISK utility to prepare and setup the drive VERY SLOW METHOD If you are still in possession of a floppy drive attached to you system then it is a simple matter of using any of the rescue disks that could have been created during the installation of the OS you can find such disks available online as well somewhere Using FDISK you can access the new drive by choosing option in the FDIDK menu to change to the desired Hard Drive you want to setup Naturally enough if you already have Hard Drives on your system and you want to install a rd external one the the drive you want to work on will be drive It does not matter how many partitions are on the othere drives FDISK is only interested in the physical aspect of the drives Once you have access you should check to see if you need to delete any partitions already on that drive Once you are sure you have a completely empty drive you can then simply create a Primary Partition on that drive It is not necessary at this stage to format the drive Exit FDISK and reboot the system Once the OS is up and running it will automatically detect the new drive and depending on how fast your system is should acknowledge the presence of the new Hard Drive and ask if you want to format it You can then take it from there Using the floppy means that info transfer is a very slow process and could take as long as minutes or more depending on the size of the drive for a disk integrity check THE VERY FAST METHOD Download and create the Ultimate Boot CD freely available from http www ultimatebootcd com and boot from that Change your boot options in the BIOS if necessary to enable you to boot form CD Once you have booted from the CD go into the HDD menu and then the Partition Management section In there you can access the free FDISK utility and perform the same procedure as above However you will find this infinitely faster Hope this cures a lot of ails for some of you guys out there nbsp

A:Hard Drive not Recognized

Why not just use Disk Manager and avoid the need for any additional software?
I have yet to see a salvageable disk I couldn't cure with a Linux disk and disk manager.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-recognized.1004538/
Relevancy 60.2%

I can t seem to get my SATA drive drive recognized not Hard working after reformatting I ran disk cleanup and had to wipe my hard drive after I accidentally deleted some system files Then when I went to reload everything my computer doesn t see the hard drive I don Hard drive not recognized t believe there is a problem with the drive I think I m just not sure how to set it up properly Hard drive not recognized I m using an IDE hard drive now with XP just to have something but I need to get the sata working I was able to recognize it on XP from the ide drive and recover some files before reformatting But since I can t recognize the drive any help is GREATLY appreciated thanks Nick ABIT AV Socket VIA K T Pro ATX AMD Motherboard - SAPPHIRE -TC - -SAL Radeon MB DDR AGP X X Video Card CORSAIR ValueSelect GB x MB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Dual Channel Seagate Barracuda ST AS GB RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive - OEM Track NEC DVD Burner Black IDE ATAPI Model ND- A - OEM AMD Athlon Venice GHz Socket nbsp

Hi,

You need to install the SATA drivers during the WIN XP installation from floppy disk or CD.

Press F6 when asked about installing other drivers and have the disk ready.

The XP installation will then install the SATA drivers and continues with th einstallation.

Look on your motherboard manufacturers web site or CD's supplied with motherboard for the drivers.

hth

Ceri

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-recognized.541136/