Windows Support Forum

Is Dell Inspiron 8100 processor speed correct?

Q: Is Dell Inspiron 8100 processor speed correct?

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 and it list the processor clock speed at 1000/733 mhz. The processor speed is currently at 733 mhz. Is there a setting that can be changed to achieve the full 1000mhz clock speed?
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Is Dell Inspiron 8100 processor speed correct?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Is Dell Inspiron 8100 processor speed correct?

Your Inspiron like many notebooks will throttle back your processor speed to reduce heat and prolong battery life. So even though it is a ~1Ghz processor it will at times run at 733MHz. That's normal behavior. You might be able to disable this feature in Control Panel/Power Options.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-dell-inspiron-8100-processor-speed-correct.550861/
Relevancy 83.85%

When I try to boot my laptop this is the message I get

primary hard disk drive not found, & fixed optical drive not found, no bootable devices

A:Dell Inspiron 8100

Have you dropped it recently?

Have you tried it with your XP CD in the CD drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-8100.822321/
Relevancy 82.99%

i have a dell inspiron 8100 laptop and my hard drive crashed (at least thats what they told me when i called dell) i was told that the hard drive was locked and that i might as well throw it away. is there anyway that i can get into this? i really need to get into my computer asap!!! thank you

A:dell inspiron 8100 HELP asap!!

If your harddrive is truly crashed, you're totally out of luck, unless you want to pay a good grand to have the data recovered.

Is this a windows problem - or a physical hard drive problem? If it's just windows, we can most likely get your data back. Physical.. much harder.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-8100-help-asap.197281/
Relevancy 82.99%

Why hello there I m wondering if you can help me with this Whenever we try to run an actual program the comp keeps locking up 8100 Dell up... locks Inspiron and we have to reboot manually Thanks in advance Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgemc exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - Dell Inspiron 8100 locks up... E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe STARTUP O - HKLM Run AVG EMC Dell Inspiron 8100 locks up... C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgemc exe O - HKCU Run MSMSGS quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot background O - Service AVG Alert Manager Server Avg Alrt - GRISOFT s r o - C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe O - Service AVG Update Service Avg UpdSvc - GRISOFT s r o - C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 8100 locks up...

Dude. Nothing wrong in HackJackThis list you have given to us.

Freezing up normaly results in Networking, power supply or Memory problem. Turn off your PC, and open the case. Remove the dust. Remove and put back the memory, and try again.

If same thing occurs, I wouldn't bother and reinstall Windows.

Same thing occurs, I would put a nice power bar attached to your PC.

Same thing occurs, change the power supply.

Same things occurs, you're screwed. ;-)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-8100-locks-up.441040/
Relevancy 82.99%

I own a Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook computer. This notebook utilizes the following CPU and hard disk drive:

CPU manufacturer: Intel
Current CPU speed: 866 MHz
External clock: 133 MHz

Model: HITACHI_DK23CA-10
Firmware: 00H5A0G3
LBA support: yes
LBA sectors: 19640880 (= 9.366 GB)
Disk cache size: 512 KB
Supported UDMA modes: 0-5
Current UDMA mode: 5
Acoustic Management support: yes
Acoustic Management enabled: yes
Current Acoustic Management value: 0xc0 (= noisy)
Recommended Acoustic Management value: 0xc0 (= noisy)
SMART support: yes
Temperature support: yes
Current temperature: 141°F

My questions are:

1. What is a normal operating temperature range (in Fahrenheit-degrees) for this CPU and hard disk drive?

2. What temperature would be considered "high" (resulting in damage to the CPU/HDD)?

3. Should there be frequent changes in temperature?

Thanks!

A:CPU/HDD Temps-Dell Inspiron 8100

Dell Inspiron 8100 Laptop CPU/HDD Temperature Questions:

1. What is the standard CPU and hard disk drive temperature range during
operation (i.e. 120-150 degrees)?
2. At what temperature should the cooling fan start (CPU/HDD)?
3. At what temperature should the cooling fan stop?(CPU/HDD)?
4. At what temperature is the CPU/HDD at risk for damage?

Please provide temperatures/temperature range in degrees (Farhenheit).

Computer Information:

System manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
Product name: Inspiron 8100
CPU manufacturer: Intel
Current CPU speed: 866 MHz
External clock: 133 MHz
Max. CPU speed supported by board: 1200 MHz
L1 cache size: 32 KB (internal)
L2 cache size: 512 KB (internal)

Hard Disk Drive Model: HITACHI_DK23CA-10
Firmware: 00H5A0G3
LBA support: yes
LBA sectors: 19640880 (= 9.366 GB)
Disk cache size: 512 KB
Supported UDMA modes: 0-5
Current UDMA mode: 5
Acoustic Management support: yes
Acoustic Management enabled: yes
Current Acoustic Management value: 0xc0 (= noisy)
Recommended Acoustic Management value: 0xc0 (= noisy)
SMART support: yes
Temperature support: yes
Current temperature: 140°F

Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cpu-hdd-temps-dell-inspiron-8100.404684/
Relevancy 82.99%

Does anyone know a "Fixed" Bay DVD-Rom for Inspiron that will read Backed up DVDs on DVD+R Format? I have found a Modular one that will do this but would prefer to use a "Fixed" Bay one.

Thanks

Relevancy 82.99%

Hi there!
Have currently been given a good old dell inpiron 8100!!
I am wanting to re-install xp on it as its for my inlaws to use and want it fresh and clean :)
At the moment its on xp sp2 and i dont know the current password, tried safe mode and just keeps asking for password......
tried booting from cd and just goes to the normal xp startup screen.
Its using xp profesional scene edition sp2, i have been trying to install on a cd xp corporate student edition sp3.
Hope i can find some help here,
thanks.
Jamie

A:Problem with Dell inspiron 8100 on xp sp2

and welcome to the Forum

If you have the Dell System restore ( not all Dells do ) you can use that and you will not need a install CD

RouteTo

If not, You can get a reinstallation guide specific to your Dell here ( You will have to change the operating system to match yours.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-dell-inspiron-8100-on-xp-sp2-902850.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Last week the poor Dell Inspiron 8100 seems to have died. It is used to program industrial PLC's so it is never on the net, hence almost no chance for viruses. When powered on, it takes over 45 minutes to POST and start Windows XP home. Response to pad or keyboard commands is delayed by 30-90 seconds.

It does the same thing if the back-up hard drive is installed and to original is removed. Is the problem likely to be the Processor? Motherboard? or Memory

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-8100-boot-problem.45428/
Relevancy 82.13%

Dell Inspiron 8100 BIOS password
#HCJST01-595B

A:Need Dell Inspiron 8100 BIOS password

Contact Dell?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-dell-inspiron-8100-bios-password.89909/
Relevancy 82.13%

I 8100 Notebook-No Inspiron Dell sound have Dell Inspiron 8100 Notebook-No sound a Dell Inspiron Notebook computer running Windows Version Build Service Pack I have no sound coming from my speakers during windows start-up or if I try to play an mp file I also have no speaker icon on my task bar Looking at the Device Manager Sound video and game controllers area I have the following -Audio Codecs -ESS Maestro PCI Audio WDM -Legacy Audio Drivers -Legacy Video Capture Devices -Media Control Devices -Video Codecs One device is showing the dreaded exclamation point It s for the ESS Maestro PCI Audio WDM device by ESS Technology Inc Checking the properties the device status window notes the following This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device Code Looking at the Sounds and Multimedia Properties icon under the Audio tab all the items are grayed out Sound Playback Sound Recording and MIDI Music Playback This issue started after installing a LinkSys RangePlus Wireless Notebook Adapter Can you assist me in getting my sound back Thank you Sprinks

A:Dell Inspiron 8100 Notebook-No sound

The device with the "!", right click on it and select Properties, then click on the Details tab, then on Hardware ID in the dropdown box. It should be in this format:"PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_40090070&REV_01"Post back what you find.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/178086/dell-inspiron-8100-notebook-no-sound/
Relevancy 82.13%

My daughter has a Dell Insprion 8100 notebook running Windows XP Home Edition. When she started the computer this morning the screen remains blank although the PC appears to be starting up - can't tell what's happening since the screen is blank although the disk is being accessed as evidenced by the flashing keyboard lights. The problem seems to have started when she plugged in the battery charger. At first, the PC would start under battery power normally, but that has stopped. Even under battery power the symptom is the same - a blank screen that flashes intermittently, but displays nothing else. Can someone offer some advice. Of course she is scheduled to go back to college next week and uses her notebook extensively. Thanks.

A:Help with a blank screen on a Dell Inspiron 8100

JR,

When it does "Flash" is there anything to be seen on the screen??

There have been several Posts lately concerning failed 'backlights' on LCD displays.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-a-blank-screen-on-a-dell-inspiron-8100.264674/
Relevancy 81.7%

I have a 3.2Ghz AMD processor that only seems to be running at 2Ghz presently. My mobo is a GA-K8NSC-939, I have 1.5Gb of DDR 400 RAM on board and I am running XP SP2. I have tried a couple of things in BIOS - (ie loaded optimal performace settings) but these have made no difference.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Relevancy 81.27%

The Ac is hooked up to it and battery has a full charge on it but when you push the power botton the green led comes on for about 2 sec's then goes off and thats it..no sound, no screen just the led for 2 sec's and poof. Any Idea's?

A:Dell Inspiron 8100 Model PP01X. Won't power up

Remove the battery and AC Adapter. Press and hold the power button for 2 minutes. Plug in the AC adapter and see if the computer turns on normally. If not, the laptop will have to be serviced

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-8100-model-pp01x-wont-power-up.134571/
Relevancy 81.27%

The headphones jack on laptop just broke... i've tried twisting the plug a little bit and it worked for a couple of minutes but now it doesn't .

I want to know if there is a way I can to use the microphone jack as a headphone jack.

If it's not possible... there's another jack to the right of the headphones jack with the symbol resembling this: ((*-))
Can i use that one, too?

Thanks in advance

A:Broken Headphone Jack (Dell Inspiron 8100)

You need to buy/acquire a 3.5mm stereo screw plug.

There`s no point trying to mess with the mic plug.Even if you could
connect it,you`d only get mono.

The other socket you refer to,is most likely a Line IN.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-headphone-jack-dell-inspiron-8100.48550/
Relevancy 81.27%

I have a dell inspiron It s giving me the blue screen and last time this happened I just quot repaired quot windows xp using my cd This time when I go to the setup screen in page quot Boot order quot at the top of the boot devices it says quot Configure Setup is disabled quot The boot order is Internal HDD then CD DVD CD-RW Drive then diskette drive then modular bay hdd cardbus NIC APR NIC and last Mini-PCI NIC I just want to move CD to st but I can t quot u quot and quot d quot to move devices up and down screen, from blue can't cd inspiron 8100, boot dell is locked Up and down arrow does not move the highlight up and down like it should so I dell inspiron 8100, blue screen, can't boot from cd can t hit enter or spacebar on the one I want CD Right and left arrows do nothing The only commands that do anything on this screen are Esc which obviously escapes out of the setup and dell inspiron 8100, blue screen, can't boot from cd Alt-P changes to the next page but that doesn t dell inspiron 8100, blue screen, can't boot from cd help And PgDn and PgUp which just moves the right side up and down which is just for information purposes It is a Dell Inspiron U Setup and BIOS Version A Any suggestions nbsp

A:dell inspiron 8100, blue screen, can't boot from cd

any ideas?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-8100-blue-screen-cant-boot-from-cd.69943/
Relevancy 81.27%

I know from searches on here that this laptop is pretty much obsolete when it comes to finding drivers for some aspects of Win but I've also found some who seem to have got it running well on it so Dell display 8100 screen problems Inspiron hoping this isn't maybe a driver problem but something else that maybe can be easily Dell Inspiron 8100 screen display problems fixed Basically Win installed without any problems but is running in a box centred in the middle of the screen - I tried to improve it by changing up the screen res Dell Inspiron 8100 screen display problems but while that did bump it up a bit it's still well shy of the screen edges i e inch of black all around it Is this thus another driver issue do you reckon or does anyone know of any other way to increase the res as I can't find anyone else with this particular problem in searches here or elsewhere Dell Inspiron 8100 screen display problems unless I'm not searching with the right terms Already have it installed on my desktop so the laptop was really just for backup of sorts and not the end of the world if it won't work properly but be nice to know for sure

A:Dell Inspiron 8100 screen display problems

I'm having this same issue on my sony vaio...

I would also like some input as the black bars are getting a little annoying...

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/15473-dell-inspiron-8100-screen-display-problems.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Greetings,

Computer- Dell Inspiron 8100
Problem- Admin Bios Password

I have tried numoerous things, and in the end seems eeprom is only way to reset this.

I looked and looked, it says under motherboard, yet I never found a "24OC" 4 legged chip on the board to reset.

This cpu is 7 yrs old.

So far no luck fixing this one or my Toshiba and have both been reduced to eeprom reset as only viable option.

TY,

XaNaToS

A:Cant find EEprom on Dell Inspiron 8100 (admin bios pw)

All Dell (and others) BIOS and Admin password removal to this thread only:

--> HP / Dell / etc. Laptop password help (April - June 2008)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-find-eeprom-on-dell-inspiron-8100-admin-bios-pw.102977/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hey all, I'm going absolutely nuts. I'm building a new system up for my mom and the parts she bought are fubar! The old board wouldn't format the HDD when I tried to install windows XP pro on it, though the hard drive did fine loading in my PC. Bought a new board and it won't POST. I had the Bus set to 233MHz which is what AMD lists as the frequency for the AthalonXP 2800+, but when I put the processor back in the old board to make sure I didn't fry the processor it read it's bus speed as 100MHz. I upped the speed to 233 on that board and it stopped posting. Do I have a bunk chip? If so, is the old board actually ok?

I'll post all the specs of the boards when I get back, but any 1st thoughts would be appreciated.

A:new board won't POST, Processor not running at correct speed

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The correct front side bus speed for your athlon 2800+ cpu is 166mhz. By setting it to 233mhz this constitutes a massive overclock, and that is why your system wont post.

If you look at the cpu specs below you will see that the Athlon xp 2800+ has an fsb of 333mhz which is means it should be set to 166mhz. 166mhz X the multiplier of 12.5 = 2083mhz clock speed.

See HERE for athlon specs.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-board-wont-post-processor-not-running-at-correct-speed.31439/
Relevancy 73.1%

I need you suggestion how to install driver in the correct order for Dell Inspiron 3421 for Windows 7 64 bit. I downloaded all drivers for this OS as follows;
1. O14A13
2. Chipset_Driver_DN16M_WN_1.0.6.245_A03
3. Chipset_Driver_T98JJ_WN_9.3.0.1021_A01
4. Audio_Driver_W697W_WN_6.0.1.6782_A02
5. Network_Driver_H2T45_WN_WIN7-7.061.061_A01
6. Network_Driver_NDCK6_WN_10.0.0.227_A01
7. SD-Card_Driver_CWY8H_WN_6.2.8400.39034_A02
8. AHCI_INTEL_WIN7_X00_A00_Setup-100F1_ZPE
9. iMEI_Intel_W7_X00_A00_Setup-V26WM_ZPE
10. Input_Driver_JXTK2_WN_17.0.14_A07
11. Serial-ATA_Driver_5JY9Y_WN_12.8.0.1016_A02
12. Video_Driver_W8CTK_WN_9.17.10.2867_A02
13. Network_Driver_6J4VN_WN_WIFI6.20.55.51_A02
14. Application_YGHP9_WN_11.1.007_A02
15. TBM_Intel_WIN_X01_A00_Setup-43M1V_ZPE
Please advise
1. if there are more drivers to be download for this model
2. the correct order to install the above drivers
Thank you in advance for your suggestion

A:how to install driver in the correct order for Dell Inspiron 3421 for Windows 7 64 bit

Hi,
Thank you for writing to us !
We would suggest you to go on to the Dell website and you will be able to search either by system model or service tag which will get you all the drivers and applications that you would require for your system.
Also you can download the Dell system detect from the dell website which would also help you do the same .
Thanks
Robin

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19988934
Relevancy 71.81%

I bought a Dell Inspiron i3148-6840sLV 11.6-Inch 2 in 1 Convertible Touchscreen Laptop (Intel Core
i3 Processor, 4GB RAM) on a whim yesterday from Costco. I have 90 days to use it and return it. I paid $399.99. So far I rather like it.

This is not my main computer but I would use it as my main laptop because of portability, etc. I am wondering if an upgrade to a SSD would be worthwhile and if so, what kind, etc.

At this price, plus with the addition of the SSD, is there something a lot better I should consider or it that too subjective?

Any input welcome.

Thank you.

Smorton

A:Dell Inspiron 11.6 2 in 1 with i3 Processor. SSD?

What I found is that your unit probably has a 500GB HDD but an equivalent-sized SSD may cost close to the same amount. The only time I've seen a change from HDD to SSD it worked best by doing a clean install on the SSD from the Factory Restore discs made while still running the HDD.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/67914-dell-inspiron-11-6-2-1-i3-processor-ssd.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I want to get a dual core processor for my dell inspiron 530

this is my rig
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz, ~1.6GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Hard Drive: 149 GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Will this processor work for my inspiron 530 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116348
or would this be better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...91&cm_re=intel_pentium-_-19-116-091-_-Product
any help would be nice..Thanks

Relevancy 70.95%

I went under run to msconfig, and i went to boot, then advanced settings, then i switched the number of processors from 1 to 4. I forgot why, but i switched the processor number back to one and now, i cant switch it back to 4 because it doesnt show up. Can anybody help with a simple solution cause im kind of a computer noob when it comes to that. I really need help, my computers so slow now.

A:Dell inspiron processor trouble:/

Quote: Originally Posted by stephena

I went under run to msconfig, and i went to boot, then advanced settings, then i switched the number of processors from 1 to 4. I forgot why, but i switched the processor number back to one and now, i cant switch it back to 4 because it doesnt show up. Can anybody help with a simple solution cause im kind of a computer noob when it comes to that. I really need help, my computers so slow now.

You are doing a complete re-boot after each time you change the settings?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/250441-dell-inspiron-processor-trouble.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I have the Dell inspiron one 2330 And im not sure if i cant upgrade my processor or not and if i can what options do i have?

A:Dell inspiron one 2330 Processor upgrade?

Any help?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19643584
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi
I have a dell inspiron 580 and i want to upgrade the processor from intel core i3 to intel core i5. But first i need to know what is the socket type of the processor so i would know which one to buy. I tried to find it on google but i couldnt. Is it h2 lga 1155, or 1156 or h lga or h57?
Also if you have any recommendations for i5 processors then reply!
Thank You

A:Dell Inspiron 580 Processor Socket Type?

Hi malick4132,
Dell has tested Inspiron 580 with the following processors without any issues:

Intel Pentium G6950
Intel Core i3 - 530, 540
Intel Core i5 - 750, 650

Your computer is shipped with Mobile Intel H57 Express Chipset. For more information on this, you may refer to link: http://intel.ly/XJYkuG
Click on the compatible products to get the list of processors compatible with your computer. Most of them support LGA1156 socket or FCLGA1156 socket. Both are almost similar. Please ensure to update system BIOS before you upgrade the processor on computer. 

Dell does not recommend or offer processor upgrade but it is as your discretion in case you really wish to go  ahead with it. Warranty per say, issues arising due to the upgrade will not be covered under warranty , however we will continue providing support for other issues and parts.  
Please reply for further clarifications. 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19496703
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi everyone!I want to ask you ...which one CPU i can put to my Laptop .Dell Inspiron M5010Now it's:Athlon II P340 Dual core
Chipset AMD 785GX
Southbridge AMD SB850. I want put now Phenom II 3 or 4 cores.....which one exactly fit? 

A:Dell Inspiron M5010 Upgrade processor

Dell did ship these with Phenom II-X4 CPUs, so most of the Socket S1-G4 CPUs should work.  Stick to models with identical or similar power requirements - installing a CPU that requires more power than the original, is an invitation to system instability.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19507302
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi would anybody be able to give me any info on upgrading the processor on this laptop? Thanks

A:Upgrade processor Dell Inspiron N7110

Upgradeability depends on what's in the system now.  They were shipped with up to an i7 2630QM CPU.  You're limited to the second-generation Core i CPUs, and if you upgrade from an i5 or lower to an i7, you may need a new AC adapter as well (you'll need 130W or better depending on the GPU in the system, where the i5 will work with a 90W or lower adapter).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19994642
Relevancy 70.09%

I've already updated the bios, yet the processor fan is still not working. I've run a diagnostic previously and the processor fan speed is 0 rpm. Also the processor thermistor says its 106 degrees. What should I do?

A:Dell Inspiron 5558 processor fan not working

First thing to try would be replacing the fan.  If you need help choosing the correct part we'll need to know whether the system as integrated or hybrid video.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19988636
Relevancy 69.66%

I have a Dell Latitude C840 and since last night it has been running at a speed of 1.2 GHz instead of the normal speed of 2.0 GHz. It's really annoying as everything's choppy as hell. I checked the BIOS and sometimes it says it runs at 2.0, and sometimes it runs at 1.2. The problem is I don't have the main password to permanently set it to 2.0 GHz (bought it used) and have no idea how to reset the password in order to change the clock speed.

If there's another way of doing this without going through the BIOS, please let me know.

A:Processor speed problem with Dell laptop

Sounds like an overheating issue. You may need to have your CPU's cooling system checked and cleaned. Are you able to do this, or will you take it to a repair shop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processor-speed-problem-with-dell-laptop.92280/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello

I have dell INSPIRON 6000 has Intel Pentium M processor 1.70 GHs. One day I turned the laptop on without the battery. accidentally I unplug the power cable since that time my laptop become too slow. I tried to reinstall the windows and still run slowly. Then I tried many software to see what is the problem is. but all of them tell all hardware run without any problem. I check my laptop with Intel processor identification utiulity and reported my laptop run at speed 0.13 Ghz and expected to run at 1.70 Ghz, so what is seem to be the problem. is my processor damaged ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-dell-inspiron-6000-run-at-speed-0-13-ghz.763308/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi, Does anyone know approximately what my DL speed should be. My desktop routinely is 88mbps via Comcast. My Inspiron 15 #3521 laptop is 38-41 mbps. The network adapters are Dell Wireless 1704 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz) & Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller.

Laptop is not what I would call slow, but was wonder about the internet speed being a little lower than half of my desktops 88 mbps. Oh yeah both computers are the same (12mbps) on upload. Perhaps these are normal speeds for the laptop?

I have not tried to use ethernet connection like the desktop.

Thanks Gary

A:What should be my internet DL speed on Dell inspiron 15 #3521

wireless will always be slower than Ethernet. but by how much I do not know

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/399953-what-should-my-internet-dl-speed-dell-inspiron-15-3521-a.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Just got a laptop from a buddy of mine...and i was checking specs on it...it says that it's a 2.8 GHz CPU but its running at 1.6 GHz...so how can i change speeds and stuff? thank you all for your help. :grinthumb

A:DELL Inspiron 1150: CPU speed trouble!!!

Maybe the speed has been lowered because it is running in battery mode.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1150-cpu-speed-trouble.29857/
Relevancy 67.94%

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 that I traded for today. I washed the keyboard clean of all the dried, gummy CocaCola that was in it and it works fine now. It has a 2.0-GHz Celeron processor. I don't think much of Celerons and I have an unused 3.0-GHz Pentium 4, socket 478 gathering dust here.

I haven't found anything at Dell's site or in a Google search that tells me for absolutely certain whether this is a socket-478 system and whether it is replacable. So far, it seems replacable; but, I need to know the socket type. I don't want to disassemble this thing just to find out the processor I have will not fit.

TIA for any help.

A:Solved: Dell Inspiron 1100 Processor Updrade - Can't find specs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dell-inspiron-1100-processor-updrade-cant-find-specs.773164/
Relevancy 67.94%

I have a Dell Latitude D600 it's a 1.4 ghz pentium M is running at 600 mhz I installed a larger hard drive I don't know if that would make a difference. Please help Thanks

A:Dell Latitude D600 still not running a full processor speed

Hi

where does it say its running at 600 mhz...post a screen shot of the computer properties (control panel>system)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-latitude-d600-still-not-running-a-full-processor-speed.135780/
Relevancy 67.94%

I have a Dell Latitude D600 it's a 1.4 ghz pentium M is running at 600 mhz I installed a larger hard drive I don't know if that would make a difference. Please help Thanks

A:Dell Latitude D600 not running a full processor speed

What are you using to test the speeds? It was never a high speed laptop in the first place, but it has always been a darn good and reliable one.

Large hard drive can make a difference if it is 100 GB or larger... using the Dell version of Windows... the system wastes too much time checking empty space.

Be sure you have WXP SP2 installed, but hold back on WXP SP3, as SP3 protects Microsoft, but slows down an already slow laptop.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-latitude-d600-not-running-a-full-processor-speed.135540/
Relevancy 67.51%

I m a little confused about what s going on with my PC Basically recently processor Changing extreme it :S Dell noise temps. state Inspiron 530 and fan reduces my Dell Inspiron Vista Home has been extremely noisy When I m just on the desktop there is almost no noise the fans are silent However when I play almost any game visit a site such as google maps open Microsoft Outbox or almost any other program that is a little bit tough on the system resources the fan noise increases from silent to the noisiest it could possibly be in a matter of seconds It almost seems like it s all or nothing with the fan noise it either makes no noise at all or makes a horrendous noise Dell Inspiron 530 extreme fan noise and temps. Changing processor state reduces it :S when I run just about any program All these programs never before caused Dell Inspiron 530 extreme fan noise and temps. Changing processor state reduces it :S the fan to make such a loud noise I decided to use SpeedFan to try and work out the problem There are some unusual things I have observed When I open a simple java browser game Runescape in this case the Temp reaches C This is simply on the start screen not playing the game at all However this is what really confuses me and I m sure you can make sense of it When I go to the quot Power Options quot in Control Panel click quot Change plan settings quot and go to the quot Processor power management quot section it gives me the option to change the quot Maximum processor state quot This was previously at so I changed it to and changed the quot Mininum processor state quot to Magically the sound dissappeared The Runescape start screen gave me very little fan noise and there was no noticable difference to the performance of the game If anything it ran smoother Even though Vista told me my performance should now be reduced And whats more Speedfan tells me the Temp is at a mere C So changing these settings caused a reduction of C and gave me almost silent fans from deafening ones What is going on S So I now don t have the crazy fan noise but I don t understand why I had to change the processor state options to reduce it I ve had this PC for years with it on for both min and max processor state and it has previously been fine no excessive noise This is a good temporary fix but I m worried there may be something wrong with my processor like it is reading the temperatures wrong or for some reason just pushing the fan to go fast unnecessarily Also I don t even understand what I have changed and is it safe to run the PC on these lowered settings The control panel tells me that from reducing the processor state I should now have reduced performance but I don t see any Or is this just because I am not running the really intense programs that require the full processor I d really appreciate any advice help as I m just really confused right now and not sure if I should replace the fan power source or if it s something more serious like with the processor Thanks nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 530 extreme fan noise and temps. Changing processor state reduces it :S

quick question have you tried opening up your pc and looking inside the fan and cleaning it out? that can sometimes be a cause of nosiy fans try using a vacumme cleaner and cleaning out the fan if that doesnt help then im not to sure what is wrong with it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-530-extreme-fan-noise-and-temps-changing-processor-state-reduces-it-s.935494/
Relevancy 67.51%

I Dell Processor battery unless hot disconnect sink I 3137, Inspiron heat 11 stays have Dell Inspiron 11 3137, Processor heat sink stays hot unless I disconnect battery a Dell Inspiron that has served me well up to this point nbsp Upgrade to Windows went well no prior issues Recently and possibly after some driver updates I noticed the laptop was having problems waking from sleep mode nbsp I usually leave it plugged in overnight with sleep mode nbsp In the morning it would not wake opening the lid and or pressing the power button nbsp The only option was holding the power button for about seconds and then pressing it again and it would normally restart nbsp That was when I noticed something I have never seen before on any laptop I have ever had nbsp I decided not to use sleep mode and turned the computer off completely nbsp To my surprise the computer stayed warm on the bottom but not by the battery nbsp It was up higher by the processor nbsp I removed the AC adapter power and waited for it to cool but it did not nbsp An hour later the computer was still hot on the bottom near the processor nbsp I removed the bottom cover and sure enough the copper heat sink from the fan to the processor was very hot with the computer turned off for over an hour and the AC adapter removed nbsp I disconnected the battery and of course the copper heat sink clipped to the top of the processor then cooled almost immediately I did some research and doing a battery pull is one of the suggested reset guides for a number of problems with this laptop so I gave it another try nbsp Things worked okay for about two days then it happened again just now nbsp I had to remove the battery connector to stop what must be power going to the main processor with the laptop turned off and causing both battery drain and the heat sink to get hotter than I would like to leave the laptop unattended nbsp Obviously I would never put it into a case or my backpack under these circumstances I have tried resetting the BIOS to the default setting and testing the AC adapter voltage is good nbsp Drivers are all correct and current nbsp Note nbsp the battery itself does not get hot and shows as being good nbsp Only the processor or more accurately the heat sink over the processor gets and stays hot while the computer is turned off Any ideas nbsp Thanks Art Penrose

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19981332
Relevancy 65.79%

Greetings Hoping someone can help with reformatting a Dell Inspiron GB RAM 64 Vista 3 Need reformatting Core GHz 1.9 help Dell Dual Premium... RAM; 250 x2 processor; Home Inspiron Athlon a GB 1721; HDD; GB GB HDD Athlon x Dual Core GHz processor Vista Home Premium bit OS Reformatted and clean install of Need help reformatting a Dell Inspiron 1721; 3 GB RAM; 250 GB HDD; Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 1.9 GHz processor; Vista Home Premium... Vista months ago Afterward everything worked perfectly until a couple of Need help reformatting a Dell Inspiron 1721; 3 GB RAM; 250 GB HDD; Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 1.9 GHz processor; Vista Home Premium... weeks ago After automatic updates installed Vista SP suddenly Windows Media Center which I've never used and am not at all familiar with and have no plans to learn it and use it in the future began opening by itself over and over Also a little window popped up on Need help reformatting a Dell Inspiron 1721; 3 GB RAM; 250 GB HDD; Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 1.9 GHz processor; Vista Home Premium... boot up that said something to the effect that my new hardware needed intalled however I have not added any new hardware Have no idea what it was trying to install Also intermittently programs I'm using just exit out even though I have not pressed exit And the mouse intermittently jumps around by itself or won't respond to the touchpad - - it opens programs opens the start menu types gibberish into the 'Start Search' line closes programs opens browsers or browser tabs closes browser tabs etc etc etc Also sometimes an odd looking exit menu appears top left screen in a different resolution than the screen is set at AND sometimes when I'm working all of a sudden the keys won't type but the computer issues a loud beep every time a key is pressed When problems first started I immediately ran system restore No change Tried another date in system restore Still no change Went through all restore points and each time I got the message that the restore was successful however no change Ran CCleaner Ran AVG paid subscription found nothing Ran SuperAntiSpyware paid subscription found nothing Ran MalwaryBytes Anti-Malware paid subscription found nothing Ran Panda Online Scanner paid subscription it found a file that it said it couldn't disinfect the file name was Downloads HC VistaLogo Drv E Encoder x V Setup Silent exe - - tried to find it and delete it but couldn't locate it however similar file names were in the AverMedia folder Don't use AverMedia even though it came with the computer so I uninstalled it Ran Panda scan again and it found nothing this time Started googling and stopped all WMC services and removed every instance of it from startup Ran Trend Micro Housecall found nothing Problems kept escalating At times the computer started beeping very fast and refusing to respond to any commands Suddenly two or three browsers open very quickly all by themselves Periodically the start menu opens and the computer types gibberish that looks like computer speak into the start search command line When WMC opens by itself it preempts everything else so that nothing else works until it's closed out and often after closing it out other programs will not respond to any keyboard or touchpad commands until the unit is restarted Twice the computer has refused to disconnect from the wireless connection when I tried to disconnect Sometimes the space bar has to be pressed several times to work Shortcuts have to be right clicked then click 'open' because when a shortcut is pressed the properties dialog opens instead of the program Once on reboot instead of Vista opening it went to a black screen and quot Vista quot had to be chosen from a list before it would open and a couple of times the computer froze at that screen and wouldn't boot up - had to shut down manually and press F and chose the HDD option to get it to open THEN I uninstalled AVG and purchased AVG and installed and ran it - it's supposed to be better It found and removed se... Read more

A:Need help reformatting a Dell Inspiron 1721; 3 GB RAM; 250 GB HDD; Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 1.9 GHz processor; Vista Home Premium...

Hi Sharon.

If your game then so am I.

All the things you stated sound like a possible infection or operating system corruption due to unknown reasons. Although none, or a questionable one, was found. I am in total agreement with Garmanma. Also the fact that the rootkit scan is disabled in AVG causes me some concern.

Seems you already have a pretty good idea how to format the drive and reinstall your OS and drivers....... But would like to take it one step further in this case though. I would like to have you wipe the entire hard drive to zeroes prior to formatting and installing the OS. This would include what is called the MBR = Master Boot Record, the partition the OS is on as well as the restore partition. Of course this would leave you only the option of reinstalling via the CD. All pre-installed software will be gone for good. Complete restore CDs are usually available from the OEM for a nominal cost.

The only reason I suggest this manner is, 1)The problems you are describing does somewhat resemble infection symptoms. 2)Depending on the possible infection type a simple reformat may not get rid of it. I have also read that it is possible for the restore partition can become infected as well.

The procedures are really pretty easy, the program(s) to wipe the drive to zeroes is free and we will do our best to get you through the whole procedure as painlessly as possible.

Let me know what you decide.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/268394/need-help-reformatting-a-dell-inspiron-1721;-3-gb-ram;-250-gb-hdd;-athlon-64-x2-dual-core-19-ghz-processor;-vista-home-premium-32-bit-os/
Relevancy 63.64%

I am running Windows XP on my 8100.  Just recently, the second key in each row quit typing, i.e.; the 2, w, s, x.  I installed a new update I found on Dell and it starting working again, but only for about an hour. It back doing the same thing.  Any solutions out there I can try.

A:Inspiron 8100 keyboard

If a USB keyboard works, its likely you need a new internal keyboard.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19983304
Relevancy 62.78%

1. I have a 500 MHz processor on my 8100. I'd like to upgrade it to max capacity. My guess it's 800MHz since that's the highest the series went to.
But if it is 800 MHz, will any PIII Mobile on this frequency do? Or should I check for special parameters of the processor?

2. I don't have a floppy drive, neither means to get one. And I'm not going to ebay one just for a BIOS update. Any ideas? Will a bootable CD with the files do the trick?

3. What's the slot of the DVD-ROM and what replacement models can I use? The 8200 went as far as an 8x DVD-RW. Could I go further?

Thanks. Hopefully my post is OK like this instead of three different posts.

A:Tecra 8100 - max processor, DVD-ROM and BIOS update questions

1. Have a look at the other Tecra 8100 models to determine what CPU's are compatible.

2. I dont think a bootable CD would work, you need to follow a special procedure to update the BIOS, and it requires a floppy drive. If there is a Windows version, you should use that instead.

3. Upgrading the DVD drive can be difficult since you need to use the correct Master/Slave settings and it needs to have the same faceplate design of the original one.

Personally, I would sell the laptop and buy a faster second hand one. It may work out to be cheaper.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?43116-Tecra-8100-max-processor-DVD-ROM-and-BIOS-update-questions
Relevancy 62.78%

SO I finally gave in and called Dell tech support.......after erasing my HD i am still having same prob......A checkerboard type pattern that comes and goes with the windows you close. I am running xp,radeon 7500, all updated, bios etc. I am wondering if anyone else has run into this and if it might be an overheating problem as I use a network card that does get pretty hot. Any insights would be great!

Relevancy 62.78%

I have an Inspiron 8100 on pressing power button nothing happens for some time and the I get
**** MANUFACTURING MODE: LEVEL [FF] ****
Press Fn-X to return the system to normal running mode​Primary hard disk drive not found
Fixed optical drive not found
No bootable devices- - Strike F1 to try reboot, F2 for setup utility​Any ideas!!

Thanks

A:Inspiron 8100 Not recognisin Drives

hdd

Is the HDD of yours good?
When you try to boot does the HDD working?
If not try the following:

1.Change the HDD (with a OS on it) with one that you know for sure is working
2. Enable the Auto recognition of the drive in Bios setup.
3. Boot again

Then tell us what is happening.

Good luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-8100-not-recognisin-drives.42540/
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a studio xps 8100. The cpu fan started reving up to around 3000 rpms then back to 300 rpms around every 8 seconds. There is no fan setting in my bios and I have the latest BIOS update. I have blown out all the dust. I switched fans with my wifes computer and it still does it so its not the fan itself.  I installed speedfan it is shows no settings for fan speeds, It does say my cpu cores are running around 40 to 50 degrees celcius and the graph for fan1 goes up and down from 300 to over 3000 rpm. Any ideas on what the problem is and how I can fix it? Will the fan slowing to 300 rpm damage my cpu? Appreciate any help I get. Thanks.

A:Studio xps 8100 fan speed

@MJAyr - I sent you a msg.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19618383
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello everyone My son brought over his Inspiron he said it was quot dead quot I tore it down and found a loose DC power board I put it back together and it booted right up Yay He brings it back weeks later saying the battery won t charge It runs perfectly using the AC adapter but only with the battery removed So I began testing I removed the battery and plugged in the AC adapter It booted right up into XP I then inserted the battery and the laptop changed from adapter power to battery power this should not happen The battery low indicator came on since the battery charge was low 8100 issue Inspiron battery plus charging and it was not getting charged from the adapter Inspiron 8100 battery charging issue plus I removed the battery laptop is still plugged into the wall and the laptop shuts down this should also not happen I press the power button and it boots back into windows under the power of the AC adapter Here is what I do know Just weeks ago the battery held a charge for hours I replaced the AC adapter and I know it works Putting a battery into the system forces it to use Battery power instead of using AC adapter power Inspiron 8100 battery charging issue plus and charging the battery as it should I have a pretty good idea what the problem is but I don t want to lead anyones thinking so I won t say yet Here is your chance to shine What do you guys think the problem is Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 62.35%

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop and I loaned it to my wife for a class in Visual Basic. Most of the time it works okay, but every once in a while the keyboard acts up and several of the keys don't work as they should such as the Backspace key or the Y key does not do anything when pressing those keys. So, I usually have to pull out a regular PS2 keyboard at that time and that keyboard works fine. I am suspecting that either one of the special key sequences was pressed by accident or the accessibility which I hate engaged itself somehow. Any ideas as to how to default it back to its original configuration?

Thanks,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/strange-keyboard-behavior-on-inspiron-8100.89218/
Relevancy 62.35%

I have an INSPIRON from Dell and about times a day the screen willl turn all green and fuzzy with horizontal lines flashing through it and will stay that way until I whack the monitor really hard ACTUALLY ITS DOING IT NOW Its fricken getting staticky like TV s do Its not bad right now its just a little Up When Hit ... Inspiron Screen 8100 I It.. But Fixes Screws fuzzy There s green and pink lines plainly visible on the blue part of this forum but I cant see the lines on the pink or white parts How to fix it Also firefox just deleted all of my bookmarks and settings It made me log on as a different user telling me quot The other one was in use quot when in fact Explorer and Firefox were both closed and I even checked the task manager I restarted and it kept telling me it was in use so I made a new one thinking I could go back and open the old one Now there seems to be an absence of any option to change my quot identity quot on firefox at all I did start run firefox exe -profilemanager and it just brings me to my home page in firefox There s no identity selection in the quot options quot either

A:Inspiron 8100 Screen Screws Up ... But Fixes When I Hit It..

From a friend of mine:

"If it moves, kick it.
? If it doesn't move, kick it until it does!"

Seriously, if a whack will fix it - something's wrong with it. Either take it to a shop to get it fixed (probably expensive) - or find another monitor at a garage sale for cheap (as long as it works it's worth garage sale prices).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/38013/inspiron-8100-screen-screws-up-but-fixes-when-i-hit-it/
Relevancy 61.49%

Upgraded from 256 to 512 and on reboot, desktop was half size, a block in the middle of the monitor. I bumped up the resolution and got it back to full screen but my fonts and screens are tiny. I increased font sizes to extra large but still the web pages are tiny print and graphics. I even reinstalled the old memory, upgraded the video driver, and did a system restore and it did not resolve the issue.
I have XP HOME and everything is fine except the small size screens . I know there is probably a simple solution but I need help!!!
Thanks....

A:Inspiron 8100 RAM upgrade caused video problems

Welcome to TSG....

I would suggest trying to update or upgrade the video drivers for the card and see what that does.

Also where did you get the new RAM for this computer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/inspiron-8100-ram-upgrade-caused-video-problems.687802/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a dell 8100 that needs a hard drive. I would like some suggestions for the best upgraded replacement.
any help would be gratefully appreciated.

grounds

A:dell 8100

This is what Dell offers:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...&cs=19&ModelSelection=117917&category_id=5694

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/...e?c=us&cs=19&l=en&ModelSelection=117917&s=dhs

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-8100.78039/
Relevancy 59.77%

Well 8100 Dell i have had this computer for about years and have had many problems but i have come over then all but now i seem to have reached a place i cannot fix I have a Dell and i recently took some thing out and just dusted them off because of all the dust on them and now when i start up the computer it does not seem to want to do anything it turns on and the light is orange and the like loading thing right under the power is just staying on for about sec and then turns off It will open the cd drives and when i put a cd in it will show it as reading it but when i plug in a moniter or mouse or keyboard nothing happens I did take off the green thing inside the computer by the cpu But Dell 8100 the things i took of to dust are the cpu thing on top of the cpu cpu fan and some thing next to the cpu i did not know what this part was so i looked up the model on the dell site and it said quot this product does not exsit quot i also went to the site that makes the part and they do now have it either but here is a pic of the inside of a comp that looks the same as mine except for the graphics card which is better then mine in the pic i circled the things i took out of my comp Does anyone know how i can fix this or why this happend nbsp

A:Dell 8100

LOL. I had a giggle at your description of all the "things" you took off

My guess is, you removed the heatsink attached to the CPU and broke the seal for the thermal pad. Now your CPU can not effectively transfer its' heat to the heatsink/fan and it is overheating, causing the system to shut itself off before any damage happens.

Did you remove the heatsink from the CPU? The heastink is the grey part under the black fan in this picture:

If you did, then you'll need to clean off the old thermal pad and apply some new thermal paste. I wouldn't recommend trying to turn on your computer again until you have done this.

Good luck!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-8100.46975/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a dell laptop that I would like to 8100 dell use to surf and use for files This dell 8100 was a gift and I am not sure of its capabilities It may need up grading or somrthing anyways here the cofiquration info cn anyone tell me if it fast enough for today s websurfing reguirements I download pictures and music C INSR Blank PCMCIA CP CPX D Pipe Height Processor Pong Adds Cohiba E Processor PIII TUL G K UPGA H Battery W V Direct Ship Sony Y Keyboard United States L United States D SUBASSY LCD HIT V L K Assembly Base Bottom I K Compal Version D Cord Power Volt F AC Wire Prong US TVD Assembly Cable S-Video West U Adapter AC External V W WBA RVJ DIMM M X K G KIT DOC DSK SW-DVD IVI D Kit Speaker MG NMB DAO J Subassy CD Read Write X KME Hardware Compatibility Testing F Modem V Internal NIC MPCI COM V K Card Graphics M P NV Electro Magnetic Interface K Kit Software WKS-STE K F OEM English K Kit Software Overpack WXPH CDWD English A HD Subassembly Digital Video DiskDrive X Internal Large Inspiron E Hard Drive GB I F MM IBM-DB CVX Assembly CARR Hard Drive L R Connector Header X F Short Gold K Third Height CS C Assembly Floppy Drive MB Inch Form Factor Controller No Cable Sony Notebook Thanks te n o nbsp

A:dell 8100

i'd add a bit more ram,
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/mfrmod.asp?root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston.com
and make sure to install sp4,
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...c6-2a5a-4399-ad3d-4a97a25f41d9&displaylang=en
this was a review of it,
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/product/3084/review/inspiron_8100.html
a net search did say some of those models over-heated,
so make sure where-ever you set it,
it doesn't have any of the ventilation holes blocked,
and don't let anyone convince you to try xp on it,
probably slow it to a crawl,
w2k is a very good os,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-8100.799198/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello there I currently own a Dell XPS and am in the process of upgrading the systems Power Supply Unit as well as the Graphics Card I have never done this before but am very familiar with computers and have been researching a lot about the endeavor With that said I have ordered Radeon HD GB DDR PCIE Graphics Card and well as an 8100 Upgrading Dell my XPS Ultra LSP -Watt Power Supply I was hoping someone could tell me if I m doing anything wrong with my component selection I researched them quite thoroughly already but I must admit am worried about somehow frying my motherboard or damaging my system beyond repair If you need any additional details my system specs are linked below as well as the graphic card specs with the PSU Thanks in advance Rob Upgrading my Dell XPS 8100 Dell XPS System http configure dell com Upgrading my Dell XPS 8100 dellstore l en amp s dhs amp cs cadhs amp model id studio-xps- Ultra LSP -Watt Power Supply http www tigerdirect ca applicati -WebletMain- -CANLET- - order amp SRCCODE CANLET Radeon http www amd com us products desk d- Pages ati-radeon-hd- -overview aspx nbsp

Relevancy 58.91%

thank you in advance for the support.

OS - Vista/ Windows 7 ? windows 7
? x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? x64
? What was original installed OS on system? windows 7
? Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? yes
? Age of system (hardware) built early december 2010
? Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? no
? CPU - intel i5 760
? Video Card - ati hd 5670
? MotherBoard - not sure where to find this information, ive checked on dell's website.
? Power Supply - brand & wattage - i cannot find this neither.

A:dell xps 8100 bsod help please

ok, i pretty much found out what causes the bsod...
everytime my computer tries to turn off the screen to save power, it would cause the error. i have since turned off that option under power settings, and no bsods yet! however, if there is a better solution i would greatly appreciate it!

charlie

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/dell-xps-8100-bsod-help-please-539308.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a couple questions about a Dell Dimension 8100. I know nothing about Dell because I build my own systems.

My friend bought a Dell 8100 a couple years ago. It came with Windows 98 so he replaced 98 with XP Pro. We both assume that the USB ports are USB 1, not USB 2.0, so he wants to install a USB 2.0 card and hub, along with some USB 2.0 peripherals. The specifications on the USB 2.0 card at Walmart, says to install it into a PCI 2.1 slot. I know what a PCI slot is, of course, but what is a PCI 2.1 slot? Does a Dell 8100 have PCI 2.1 slots or just plain PCI slots? Do I have to do any more than install a USB 2.0 card to make this 8100 USB 2.0 capable? Thanks in advance for all replies. Bill

Relevancy 58.91%

Hello, ive just buyed a XPS 8100 for about 4 days ago i was moniotoring the temps when idle and when playing Need For Speed World

You can se the temps here, the picture was shot after playing Need For Speed World for 20min:

Is the temps normal, thanks ??????????

A:Is my Dell XPS 8100 temps ok??

HELLO, plz is anybody there.
plzz, answer

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/is-my-dell-xps-8100-temps-ok-517725.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Im having a problem with removing da casin from my Dell Dimension 8100. Being able to reomve da Left and the front case, as i guess da right hand side is connected with da motherboard. I want to remove da Hard drive from it, still cant nearere b'se there is a screw nut from da right hand side. So how to remove da right plastic shell from da CPU?

And also i managed to unplug da sound card easily, but there r some problems with da VGA. Its not possible to remove so easily. Is there any special way to remove da VGA card safely?

sampath
http://sampathsid.blogspot.com

A:Need help on Dell Dimension 8100

Dell Dimension 8100

Follow the link below to see how to remove case, etc.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dsleest/rr.htm#overview

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-on-dell-dimension-8100.65822/
Relevancy 58.91%

I need a new PSU for my desktop since the one that i currently have is only 350 watts and it makes really annoying fan noise.
You think this is a good deal and will it fit my computer?
500W Power Supply fo Dell Studio XPS 8000/8100 K159T PC | eBay
If you guys have any other suggestions feel free.
And sorry if this isn't in the right topic.
Thanks

A:Will this PSU fit my Dell Studio XPS 8100?

It may "fit", but that doesn't mean anything.

At one time, most Dells used a proprietary wiring setup on their power supplies. For those PCs, you could NOT simply change to an industry-standard ATX power supply.

Dell has largely moved away from that practice, but a Google search implies that some Dells (possibly including the XPS 8100) still use proprietary wiring on PSUs. I couldn't quickly find definitive information.

So you may still need a "special" PSU for that PC and that may be what the Ebay dealer is selling.

But even then I wouldn't buy the PSU you linked. It's a no-name brand and you have no way of evaluating it nor do you know anything about its noise level (which I guess is one of your complaints).

I would:

1: Google to try to find definitive info on whether or not you need a "special" PSU for your PC.
2: If you do, I would then buy a standard ATX PSU along with a connection adapter designed to allow use of a standard ATX PSU in this particular Dell. The adapters are widely available for about $15. Endpcnoise.com is one source for the adapter--among others.

I'd get a Seasonic or Corsair PSU that are known to have low noise levels. You may have to spend a bit more money.

On the other hand, you may find that your PC can use a standard PSU---in which case you would not need the adapter.

At any rate, I would not buy that Ebay PSU regardless. Go somewhere like Newegg as a source.

I'd also measure the existing PSU and make sure there are no space/clearance issues should you go with a standard PSU. For all I know, the Dell cases are very cramped or they may have even used a non-standard size as well as non-standard wiring.

You might contact forum member "Fireberd" about this. He has a lot of Dell experience and provides support on Dell forums.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/187548-will-psu-fit-my-dell-studio-xps-8100-a.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello everyone Both the laptops Dell Inspiron R and Dell Inspiron came with GB of RAM I'd like to upgrade it to at least GB by replacing the GB dimms in both laptops with GB dimms Was wondering whether it is safe and okay to combine different memory modules from different manufacturers I'm also leaving the US next week and so would prefer getting RAM that's more reliable and wouldn't mess up the laptops Could you guys please recommend which ones you'd get I've bought Samsung and Crucial in the past and didn't have any issues Here's the existing RAM information from CPU Z Inspiron R Inspiron Based on the above information could you please recommend the sticks that you would get preferably from Amazon Dell's upgrade page for Inspiron R recommends this one Dell GB Certified Replacement Memory Module for Select Dell Systems - MHz LV SODIMM Memory Dell which is MHz So can I get this one for that laptop Kingston Technology GB MHz DDR L PC - V Non-ECC CL SODIMM Intel Laptop Memory KVR LS at Amazon com This would on Upgrading 15R RAM 7548 Dell Inspiron and laptops Inspiron Dell match the manufacturer of the existing stick Kingston Dell's upgrade page Upgrading RAM on Dell Inspiron 15R and Dell Inspiron 7548 laptops recommended the same stick for Dell Inspiron as well Since I wasn't able to locate Hyundai's GB stick is it okay if I get Kingston or Crucial's stick Kingston Technology GB MHz DDR L PC - V Non-ECC CL SODIMM Intel Laptop Memory KVR LS at Amazon com Amazon com Crucial GB Single DDR MT s PC - CL SODIMM -Pin V V Notebook Memory CT BF B Computers amp Accessories Any comments or be greatly appreciated Many thanks in advance

A:Upgrading RAM on Dell Inspiron 15R and Dell Inspiron 7548 laptops

Can't comment on the compatibility, however, make sure laptops support 8GB RAM in a single slot, with 16GB total.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/374801-upgrading-ram-dell-inspiron-15r-dell-inspiron-7548-laptops.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi all,
I want to connect my VCR to the computer to transfer old home movies to DVD.
The Analog to DV device requires a 1 GHz processor. Mine is 498 MHz.

Regarding the speed, will the device work only slowly or not at all?

Thanks!

A:Solved: Video capture device speed vs. processor speed

It is not a matter of slow or not at all. It is most likely a matter of dropped frames. If you have a cheaper video capture card [one without hardware decoding] it will probably work however you will not like the result.

Video editing / encoding is cpu intensive. I would hate to think how long it would take to encode the video file after you capture it [with that cpu]

To give you some idea, it takes me about 15 min to encode approx 1hr of video with an intel dual core cpu. With yours it will be hours.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-video-capture-device-speed-vs-processor-speed.603223/
Relevancy 58.48%

Over the last 2 days I have been having a problem as indicated in the title of this post. The fault has rectified itself 3 times, but again today, it is back to "battery plugged in, not charging." As I am running the laptop (Windows Vista Home Premium; 32 bit) on the adapter without problems, I assume that the adapter itself may not be faulty.
I also have a Dell Inspiron 630M laptop running Windows 7.  Can I safely use that adapter with the Vista laptop, without causing damage to the Vista ?  If it is safe to do so, and the battery on the Vista starts charging, then it would indicate that the Vista adapter/charger has some kind of fault.
Hoping someone can give me some guidance. Thanks.

A:Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. Battery plugged in not charging. Can I use adapter from a Dell Inspiron 630M laptop ?

If the adapter has the same plug and the same or higher power rating, you can swap them.
Check to see whether the 1545 recognizes the AC adapter or whether it shows unknown (F2 at powerup).  If it shows unknown with two different adapters, you have a bad power jack or a bad mainboard.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19994907
Relevancy 58.48%

I have a Dell xps desktop thats i - quad core processor that has gb ram and a rpm hard drive I use to use it as my main desktop but not anymore I have probably did XPS Wiping Out Dell 8100 Everything Desktop on the reinstallation of windows bit on this desktop at least times However each time i Wiping Out Everything on Dell XPS 8100 Desktop did this i know i didn't wipe my desktop fully because it always seemed a bit slow even when formatting it and also theres that old windows folder thats still there First off can someone tell me if i need a reinstallation windows cd for this I don't recall if i had the cd or not when i did the reinstallation of it It does have that sticker on the desktop so that might be what i need The thing is the last time i used this desktop i also formatted it and then stopped using it I recall last time i looked at the instructions on how to wipe the hard drive fully clean etc but there was a step where i had an issue where i just couldn't do it due to me not able to click or something or the process didn't went through I believe there were different links that is here to follow the instructions to is that correct I know i couldn't do it due to it not working I then powered on my desktop again after some time and it is extremely slow and very laggy So basically last time i formatted it but its still very slow Also im sure this has to do with reinstalling windows with dell usually has bloatware correct I have a laptop thats asus and i know when i do a reinstall which i cant do correctly b c i had similar problem theres ot of bloatware in asus computer and i dont know how to get rid of it Can someone tell me the steps where i would be able to completely wipe out the rpm hard drive and leave nothing there such as no old windows folder and no nothing so it can actually start really fast I also like to say that when i first got this desktop it always seemed pretty slow I assume thats b c i didn't remove the dell bloatware that came preloaded with the desktop I won't be using this desktop much but i want to basically make it brand new again and make it where theres no bloatware at all

A:Wiping Out Everything on Dell XPS 8100 Desktop

Everything needed is here to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 based on what's worked best in tens of thousands of installs we've directly helped with here.

Be sure to read the Special Note to Dell OWners at the end for how to decide whether to keep the Utility partition, otherwise you'll delete all partitions during the booted install.

Pay close attention to how drivers are handled in Win7 which is not at all like XP.

You will get and keep a perfect install to the exact extent you follow the tutorial which has been used by a million consumers without a single complaint.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/349116-wiping-out-everything-dell-xps-8100-desktop.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi,

Recently did a clean install of windows xp to a Dell Dimension 8100, and currently am having issues with some drivers like audio, etc.

Does anyone know where I can find a .zip file that contains all of the drivers for the OS for Dell Dimension 8100 XP

A:Need XP Drivers for Dell Dimension 8100

No-

All Dells should have a Service Tag ID on back or underneath for notebooks.

Record that case-sensitive and take it here> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Type in Service Tag (or let it be detected)

Takes you to the support pages for your Dell. Only problem is, there may be more than one, more than 2, hardware items in the 8100 product family...... the Service Tag does help though.

Some Dells came with their individual Drivers and Applications CDs.......not these days, though.

Most Dells, in fairly original condition, would have a DELL/Drivers folder.....on Drive C:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-xp-drivers-for-dell-dimension-8100.941016/
Relevancy 58.48%

I purchased a used Dell Dimension computer with Windows ME installed. I tried to load Windows 2000 and XP. This computer will not allow either of these OS's to load. I even tried to keep the FAT 32 partition and upgrade. When I do this, I get an error that the files on the hard drive are corrupted. I flashed the bios, tried a new hard drive, and even installed a RAID controller and get the same error every time. When I try to load OEM version of XP, I get the error that the hard drive is damaged.

A:Dell Dimension 8100 P4 Rambus

That is what puzzles me. I tried two other new hard drives with the same result. I even installed a raid controller. I suspect there is something wrong with the motherboard or something screwed with this model Dell.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-8100-p4-rambus.36340/
Relevancy 58.48%

My wife s Studio XPS Desktop manufactured has been crashing starting with a flickering screen nbsp The screen goes blank with a whitish-beige color and is unresponsive nbsp She turns it off and on and it still stays asleep nbsp Holding the power start button XPS Dell Studio Desktop 8100 down for seconds used to work for a while but she no longer can recover her machine from a quot deep sleep quot nbsp While booting the computer makes a loud humming noise that is not Dell Studio XPS 8100 Desktop present when it boots normally Dell Studio XPS 8100 Desktop nbsp This was happening under Windows Professional OS and has continued under Windows OS nbsp Before under Win OS the hard drive began to get slower and slower to the point I was afraid it was failing and I replaced it along with updating drivers nbsp specified by Dell see previous posts nbsp There was nothing available for the video card to update I read in the community forum that disabling turning off the monitor sleep state as well as the computer sleep state was a solution nbsp That seems to work as long as she never turns the machine off nbsp If the machine is turned off as stated in the first paragraph it takes more and more second cycles to get it to boot normally Is there a solution for this problem nbsp What should I do next Thanks Creech Newsome

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19984806
Relevancy 58.48%

Several Win BOOTING PROBLEM- Dell XP 8100 times I have had trouble upon initial boot What happens Goes thru Dell blk screen with BIOS versionA listed under the load bar then hear a quot bebeep quot and it BOOTING PROBLEM- Dell 8100 Win XP goes to a black DOS screen with the message quot strike F to retry boot F for set-up utility quot F just repeats the line If I hit Ctrl-Alt-delete it quot usually quot restarts and boots fine But times so far it hasn t Once I fixed it by going into set-up and changing to quot fast boot sequence quot Next time it hung up I switched quot fast boot quot off and it worked Today none of the above worked but when I disabled initial boot drive A in set-up it booted I have no idea why any of these things worked I was just desparately trying anything And I have no clue what is wrong with my PC Any suggestions on how to fix the boot problems will be greatly appreciated Specs Dell P MHz MB RAM Win XP Home v just installed SP this prob happened prior and after install Has been stable PC until now bought new in Thanks jana nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/booting-problem-dell-8100-win-xp.267428/
Relevancy 58.48%

Ref Dell Dimension 8100 - Need a manual or instructions on how to open RIGHT side of case. Need to change CD-ROM drive.

A:Dell Dimension 8100 Case

here you go m8 .. this should have everything you need
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dsleest/
cheers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-dimension-8100-case.419572/
Relevancy 58.48%

Several times I have had trouble upon initial boot What happens Goes thru Dell blk screen with BIOS BOOTING XP Dell 8100 Win PROBLEM- versionA listed under the load bar then hear a quot bebeep quot and it goes to BOOTING PROBLEM- Dell 8100 Win XP a black DOS screen with the message quot strike F to retry boot F for set-up utility quot F just repeats the line If I hit Ctrl-Alt-delete it quot usually quot restarts and boots fine But times so far it hasn t Once I fixed it by going into set-up and changing to quot fast boot sequence quot Next time it hung up I switched quot fast boot quot off and it worked Today none of the above worked but when I disabled initial boot drive A in set-up it booted I have no idea why any of these things worked I was just desparately trying anything And I have no clue what is wrong with my PC Any suggestions on how to fix the boot problems will be greatly appreciated Specs Dell P MHz MB RAM Win XP Home v just installed SP this prob happened prior and after install Has been stable PC until now bought new in Thanks jana nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/booting-problem-dell-8100-win-xp.267428/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello I just got a Dimension computer from my brother and after taking it apart to clean it I plugged everything back in and turned the power on The computer seemed to start okay and it appeared that it booted the cd drive but nothing happened after that There was no action from the not 8100 Dell does boot Dimension hard drive and nothing came up on the monitor I tried to put in a newer graphics card thinking that it was the issue but the same thing happened with the newer card Opening up the computer i noticed a steady amber light coming from the motherboard that I do not believe was there before when the computer was working I looked at other troubleshooting sites and checked the diagnostic lights in the back of the machine they showed all green I had also read that a Dell Dimension 8100 does not boot steady amber light on the computer power switch indicated a power supply problem but my light is still green What could possibly be my problem Any help is greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Dell Dimension 8100 does not boot

What exactly do you mean by " booted the cdom drive".
Are you saying that the bios boot screen only shows the cd rom drive ?
Did you double check power connectors ,IDE cables and card seating? I have loosened a connector or two during my spring cleaning.
Do you have the diagnostic disks that come with Dell's ? They are pretty informative and they are bootable.
P.S. Welcome to Techspot!
I would also try the Dell recovery disk.
Also if you cannot boot to the O/S how are you able to install drivers for the new card and uninstall old drivers + switch to standard VGA? Which is the correct way to switch Vid cards.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-8100-does-not-boot.16318/
Relevancy 58.48%

i have a dell dimension 8100 with a 1.3ghz cpu. i ve upgraded the ram to 512mb. is it possible to upgrade this motherboard by putting a new cpu. If not, what motherboard should i buy so that i can upgrade it to a 3.0ghz intel pentium 4 processor and how much would that cost?im a total noob at this stuff.

Relevancy 58.48%

Hello everyone,

I haven't been able to use my computer (a dell dimension 8100) since the back fan decided to die. I took off the back and noticed a black fan much larger than the usual replacement fan. I was wondering if anyone knew the fan that I needed or where I could find that information. I have researched on the internet and the good ole Dell site but found nothing on this fan. I was hoping that one of you guys would know what I was talking about. Also, would it be difficult to put the fan in myself? Not being technically inclined, I'm afraid I might cause damage to my computer.

I would appreciate any help!!

Thanks

Anabellalee

A:HELP!!! Replacement Fan for Dell Dimension 8100

You should have 2 fans in the back. One on the top (power supply) and one below. The one below may serve two purposes. It may be in a plastic shroud that ducts air to/from the processor. If that one is not working, your processor may not power up. Fans usually come in 3 sizes. 80MM, 92MM and 120 MM.
120 = 4.75"
92 = 3.75" (approx)
80 = 3" (approx)

Most computer stores carry them. If not, newegg has all sizes. Just make sure where it is plugged in on the mobo. It probably is a 3 pin connector, but newer boards are starting to go to a 4 pin.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-replacement-fan-for-dell-dimension-8100.463554/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi I have a dell XPS running connectivity XPS - internet 8100 Dell no windows bit It has both an onboard ethernet card amp wireless adapter Both of which suddenly dropped to limited internet connectivity - or in real terms no connection out to the net at all The on board Nic is a broadcom netlink gigabit ethenet The wireless is DW n WLAN PCI e card Both devices indicate that they are working correctly Diagnosing the problem via windows indicates a driver problem for each I have updated the wireless card to the latest version amp no difference Unable to find a new edition for the on board nic I Dell 8100 XPS - no internet connectivity checked windows updates to see Dell 8100 XPS - no internet connectivity if anything could have updated but nothing within the timespan The ethernet cable has been changed to no avail Orange light active on back of on board nic I have tried starting in safemode with networking to no avail Sorry I should say that I am connected to my internet via a laptop which has no issues connecting so the router amp connection are fine If I view the connection details of either device nothing is dispayed in the property value box for either adapter Ipconfig all produces the following windows ip config host name fred primary dns node type mixed ip routing enabled no wins proxy enabled no tunnel adapter teredo tunnelling pseudo-interface media state media disconnected connection specific dns suffix description tunnel adapter teredo tunnelling pseudo-interface physical address - - - - - - -E dhcp enabled no auto configuration enabled yes I have also disabled panda internet security and avasta av to Dell 8100 XPS - no internet connectivity no avail I have opened up the box and reseated the wireless card - nothing In a last attempt I have installed a Zyxel G- wireless adapter Exactly the same issue with this also device working windows diagnosis driver issue I am also unable to connect to the router directly - Thanks Rewaks nbsp

Relevancy 58.48%

I would like to think this isa simple problem, but I have not found any help as of yet. My motherboard died. Someone gave me a know good working dell 8100 desktop without a hard drive. I tested my old hard drive in my other working computer and it is okay. But I am getting a blue screen error message when I start the computer, never making it to windows. If I try safe mode it hangs on mup.sys. I am guessing the problem is that my hard drive is not setup to work with the bios. I cannot seem to get the cd-rom to boot up the Win xp installation disc, even if I change the boot order in bios. Please help.

A:Mup.sys On A Dell 8100 With A New Hard Drive

If I understand this correctly, you took a hard drive with Windows installed on it from one computer and installed it on another computer? When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as a master in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from an article from Intel which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here ."Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's* knowledge base article ?. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/156246/mupsys-on-a-dell-8100-with-a-new-hard-drive/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello my uncle has a Dell Dimension 8100 and i was going to format it after he got what he needed on files but as i turn it on and start it up there is a screen. The screen says "Strike F1 to reboot or F2 for utility." I press F1 to reboot so he could do whatever he needs but the F1 thing just pops up again. So i do F2 but im unfamiliar with Dell i don't know what to do with it. Anyone got any suggestion or a way for me to get passed these stuff. Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-my-dell-dimension-8100-is-messed-up.55781/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi,
I am new to this forum. The question i have is, i would like to upgrade my processor (currently 1.3ghz) to a higher speed. How do i find out which processor to buy. My motherboard is: MSI (Micro Star) MS-6378 (KLE133).
My current processor is: AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1600+.

Thank You

A:Choosing the correct Processor

You'll need to know what revision your board is. This should be marked on the physical motherboard so you'll have to open it up and check.

You may also be able to find out by using something like Everest to check the motherboard info: http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

If you have a revision 3 board then it looks like a XP 2600+ on the 266MHz FSB, a revision 2 board can go up to a XP2100+.

That info's from here: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=22&kind=1

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/choosing-the-correct-processor.317320/
Relevancy 58.05%

I need to order a new desktop for my office to replace a 3 year old machine that runs at 3.2 Ghz. The new machines that Dell offers only has this option:

Intel® Core™2 Extreme QX6700 (8MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1066 FSB)

I don't think there is a standard measuring stick that is used to compare all the processor speeds that I can find or understand. I work with CAD programs that use up a lot of resources and I typically get the fastest available and max the RAM. With all the latest software that I have to install, I need the new machines to run faster than the ones they replace.

Can anyone tell me how this 2.66GHz processor compares to my current machine? I don't have the exact specs for it, this is what it lists on the dell support site for my system - PROCESSOR, 80532K, 3.2GHZ, 1M, 533, M0.

Relevancy 57.62%

Question...

My power supply recently went out on my Dimension 8100 computer. I've been told that with this particular PC I can only purchase one type of power supply. Is this true? and if it is why are all the power supplies that I've found for this over $80.00??? If anyone know's a good place to purchase this product for better than $80 please let me know... i'm desperate

Thanks

FC

A:Dell Dimension 8100 power supply...

I am afraid some Dell power supplies have an extra connection to the motherboard and to use a non Dell item could lead to you frying your board.
The only way round it is to change both PSU and board, which is an expensive option.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-8100-power-supply.13161/
Relevancy 57.62%

Could someone more 8100 Assistance Dimension Troubleshooting Dell in the know that I help me troubleshoot a critical problem with my Dell Dimension I m trying to figure out whether my problem is likely a failed hard drive or something more serious Problem The machine failed to boot when I powered it up yesterday The Dell startup routine displays as ususal but Windows XP does not load I just get a blank black screen with the cursor blinking in the upper left corner What I ve tried I made a Windows XP boot disk put Dell Dimension 8100 Troubleshooting Assistance it in my internal floppy drive and turned the machine on It boots to an A-prompt showing the machine recognizes the A drive When I attempt to access the hard drive by entering C I get quot invalid drive specification quot Dell Dimension 8100 Troubleshooting Assistance I get the same result when I try to access the CD-R W and DVD devices However when I power up the machine I do get LED displays on the CD-R W and DVD devices I have gone into the setup menu set the boot sequence to boot from the CD-R W drive and placed a bootable CD in the drive The machine does ot boot I Dell Dimension 8100 Troubleshooting Assistance have removed the cover turned on the machine and touched the hard drive to check for vibration No vibration I am concerned about the quot invalid drive specification quot messages above when I try to access the hard drive and CD-R W and DVD drives Does that suggest something other than a hard drive failure Anyone out there want to hazard a guess as to what my problem is nbsp

A:Dell Dimension 8100 Troubleshooting Assistance

Hdd

Easy thing to try first is to pull the Hdd and see if it will boot from Cd/rom.. If not try the other way.. Unhook A:/ Try to boot. Unhook D:/ (cd) try to boot.. let us know but its probably the hard drive failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-8100-troubleshooting-assistance.20457/
Relevancy 57.62%

My Dell Dimension 8100 is with 2, 64Mb cards. I wanna upgrade it to bit higher level. Im having a 512Mb card. Im wondering, is it possible to plug da 512Mb and 64Mb card as pairs in da Sokets 1 and 2 (I have 2 dummie cards for socket 3 and 4) ?

As i checked with da Dell support web, they provide a hint :

" If you upgrade the memory, the RIMMs must be upgraded in matched pairs of identical MB capacity in both sockets 1 and 2 or sockets 3 and 4".

So, in my situation, do i have to match da socket 1 and 2 with same 512Mb or is safe to plug 512Mb with 64Mb in da specified sockets? I dont care about da optimum performance, least 512Mb is enough for me.

thanx in advance.

sampath

A:Memory upgrade - Dell Dimension 8100, plz help

Your Dell uses RDRAM and those must be installed in matched pairs only, as the instruction from Dell plainly states. You will not be able to use your single 512MB module unless it is RDRAM (not SDRAM) AND you can pair it up with another identical one. Ordinarily you can only buy RDRAM in pairs regardless of capacity so I suspect your 512MB module is not RDRAM and, therefore, you can't use it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-upgrade-dell-dimension-8100-plz-help.65903/
Relevancy 57.62%

My wife spilled decaf in her Dell inspiron 8100 laptop. It was enough that the display went blank and the power switch would not shut the system down. I removed the AC power and battery before flushung the system with clean water. I removed the keyboard and used a hair dryer for several hours before letting the system dry for a day.

What I get now is blinking LEDs and no beeps or display. It looks like the POST never completes or never runs. The hard drive never spins up. The system looks clean and dry inside and out, so something must have died.

I would like to know if the LEDs could be flashing useful information?

Has anyone run into this before?

John

Relevancy 57.62%

removed by author......................

sampath

A:Memory Upgrade - Dell Dimension 8100, plz help

I answered your identical post elsewhere. You shouldn't post multiple identical posts as it leads to confusion when different people answer each one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-upgrade-dell-dimension-8100-plz-help.65904/
Relevancy 57.62%

I recently had to replace a noisy case fan on my Dell However I didn t want to buy another Dell fan for the system I wanted to get a better one So I was able to replace the case fan which is basically the 8100 System Dell not fan -Alert! detected fan for the CPU However the replacement fan s power source is connected to one of the power supply connections instead of the on-board power supply that the Dell fan was previously connected to Now when i restart the computer at the start-up I get quot Alert System fan not detected quot Press F to continue or F to System Since Dell has a quot custom quot connection Dell 8100 -Alert! System fan not detected for the on-board power supply for the fan I m unable to use it unless I break down and buy another crappy Dell fan I want to remove this prompt so I don t have to press Dell 8100 -Alert! System fan not detected F I look around in BIOS and didn t really see anything Maybe this is something that is hardwired into the chip Is all hope lost Please Help nbsp

A:Dell 8100 -Alert! System fan not detected

You're going to need a fan that connects to the motherboard header. Here are about 200 of 'em. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0110573+1373226565&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=573

I assume you have the dell setup with the giant green shroud between the heatsink and the back of the case....

Notice that they have a 3 pin AND 4 pin connector. That will tell your BIOS that you have a fan.

That warning is wired into the motherboard so that you don't torch your CPU if it comes unplugged. Without that other connector, the system thinks you don't have a fan.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-8100-alert-system-fan-not-detected.544660/
Relevancy 57.62%

PS fan runs, CD drive lights, opens, closes. On opening case, standby light on MB is on, stays on when computer turned off with power button. Stays on when plug pulled short time, less than a minute, goes off. When plugged in, fan starts, standby light lights, even before power button is pressed. Removed CMOS battery, waited five minutes, SB light still on. (Dell online says don't change PCI card while light is on.) The computer is my college G-daughter's; I'd like to get it fixed and back to her ASAP. What do you think? Is this a MS Stand-by problem?

Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,
I would like to replace my computer PSU with a Seasonic G-650. I have a doubt about its dimensions which are : 8,6 x 15 x 16 cm, instead of the original 8,6 x 14 x 15.
Does anybody can tell me if the Seasonic G-650 can fit with any trouble ?
Thanks,

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19990183
Relevancy 57.62%

I came home one day last week to find my dell dimension had rebooted and was showing a flashing cursor with the message strike F to reboot F for setup utility going into BIOS setup it showed quot Unknown Device quot for both the internal hdds and both CD drives I reseated all connections all memory unplugged all peripherals still won t see ANY drives except floppy Could be a bad ribbon but two bad ribbons at the exact see drives dimension ANY doesn't dell 8100 same time Not very likely Dell support couldn t figure dell dimension 8100 doesn't see ANY drives it out They concluded I had a bad motherboard and that was my opinion also I got dell dimension 8100 doesn't see ANY drives a new motherboard and processor installed and on boot the result is the same doesn t see any hard drives or cd drives All four say Unknown Device About a month before this happened the ps keyboard port on mboard went bad and I had to switch to a usb keyboard which helped fuel my suspicion that this was a mboard issue Anyone have any ideas nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-dimension-8100-doesnt-see-any-drives.627598/
Relevancy 57.62%

I just got this Dell tower from a co-worker that pretty much didn t want it 8100 mobo trouble Dell Dimension anymore and hadn t messed with it since he Dell Dimension 8100 mobo trouble got it I bring it home turn it on no video Okay I open up the Rubik s Cube of a case and make sure the video card is firmly in place then I turn it back on no video I go to work then next day and grab another video card just to make sure it wasn t a bad card to begin with take it home install it no video I m looking around on the mobo for a failsafe switch of some sort and I don t see any jumpers that stand out But there is a REALLY bright yellow LED light with quot STDBY quot printed next to it I hear the machine running I here the HDD kick in but still no video Anyone have any clue what I can do to get this thing to cooperate with me nbsp

A:Dell Dimension 8100 mobo trouble

1. Try resetting the BIOS
2. Check to see if your monitor is working by putting it in another comp
3. Try a new PSU

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-8100-mobo-trouble.71150/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello. I want to replace my Radeon HD 5700 video card in a 2009 build Studio XPS 8100. The card has a long plastic piece on it that makes the card almost as long as the computer case and I can't figure out how to get the card out.

Can anyone help?

A:How to remove Radeon HD 5700 from Dell XPS 8100

Page 31 shows you how to remove the bracket

Removing the Graphics Card Bracket 1. Follow the procedures in Before You Begin. 2. Remove the computer cover (see Removing the Computer Cover). 3. Remove the two screws that secure the graphics card bracket to the drive panel. 4. Pivot the graphics card bracket up and lift it off the hinge clamp slot. 5. Set the graphics card bracket aside in a secure location.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19618261
Relevancy 57.62%

Ok so I have a Dell Dimension that s about years old I just bought a 320gig Dimension 8100 drive Dell and new hard drive for it gigs I Dell Dimension 8100 and 320gig drive installed it as a slave drive with the jumpers The master drive is on the first cable plug and the new drive is on the second cable plug I went to the setup as the machine Dell Dimension 8100 and 320gig drive was booting and set the second drive to quot Auto quot I then went to Disk Manager and tried to partition the drive It seems there is a limit of gigs So I partitioned it once planning on partitioning it again my friend helped me with all this Dell Dimension 8100 and 320gig drive on the phone since I m hardware stupid When I went to add another partition it wasn t even an option For some reason it s not recognizing that there is still more space on the drive Does anyone here have advice and or a solution to this Your help is very much appreciated Kip Gordon nbsp

Relevancy 57.62%

I have a Dell Dimension computer that I inherited from my stepdad I know for a fact that he bought two new sticks of rambus mem as an upgrade before he gave the computer to me The reason he gave it to me was because he said it was quot on the Not Boot Will 8100 After Dimension Shutdown Dell fritz Dell Dimension 8100 Will Not Boot After Shutdown quot and he had bought himself a new computer anyway AMD Athlon with bit architecture After shutting down the computer it will not reboot for about an hour to sometimes about an hour and a half It sounds like it is booting up but never powers up the monitor I have read similar posts to mine and have followed the recommendations in them I am getting a yellow A-B Dell Dimension 8100 Will Not Boot After Shutdown and green C-D which means it is not booting the memory correctly and i have tried over and over to reseat the memory Dell Dimension 8100 Will Not Boot After Shutdown and it still does the same thing Once it does actually boot i can go into the bios setup and see that is recognizes the memory as two sticks of rambus mem but then when i look at the total memory count it is only Coversely when i right click on my computer in windows it says I only have but when i go to the system information window it says i have So what gives Is this a motherboard problem a memory problem or possibly something else My friend has a theory he says that heat can casue the pins in the memory slots to droop and not contact the memory correctly and therefore that is why it seems the board must go through a cooldown period before booting again I am desperate to get my computer working correctly again Imagine not being able to restart when you need to Please help Thanks nbsp

A:Dell Dimension 8100 Will Not Boot After Shutdown

Oh yeah, I ordered a new Dimension 8100 specific 410 watt power supply from pcpowercooling.com to replace the existing Dell 250 watt stock PSU.

I know the mobo diagnostic code is saying it is a memory problem but i am still skeptical.

I really need some help here!! Here is some more information about my pc:

Dell Dimension 8100
Stock 250 Watt PSU
Pentium 4 1.4 Ghz Processor
1024 Megs Rambus Ram
2 7200 RPM 60 Gig HDs
Nvidia GeForce 3 64 MB GPU
USB 2.0/Fireware (3 and 2 slots respectively) PCI Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
56k modem (just collects dust)
DVD ROM Drive (LG)
DVD Burner (Sony)
Zip Drive (is not hooked up to power supply though)
3 1/2 floppy drive
Windows XP Home Edition

Peripherals:

Altec Lansing Power Cube Speakers
19 inch monitor
Standard Keeboard
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical
Saitek X52 Flight Control System (Awesome, You need one)
DVC 150b Video Capture Device
Net Gear 54mbps Wireless Router
Compaq Pocket PC
HP Photo Printer with data card reader (SD, etc.)
Visioneer Scanner
Cable Modem
Creative Webcam

And probably more stuff that I am forgetting. As you can see I love my computer and I love computing and especially gaming. I have over 150 PC Games in my collection with new ones like HL 2, COD 2, Far Cry, Battlefront 2 etc.

I am upgrading to the 410 watt power supply and a new ATI Radeo X800XL video card (or possibly a slightly better model).

My computer works fine when it boots. It's getting it to boot after a shutdown or trying to restart it that doesn't work.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimension-8100-will-not-boot-after-shutdown.42794/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello: I need some advice on how to remove the hard drive from a Dell Dimension 8100.
I'm 70 and don't understand how to do it.
Thanks for any help.
Bob Rinaldi

A:Removing drive from Dell Dimension 8100

Click on this link then click removing and replacing parts>hard drive. It gives step by step instructions along with pics.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dsleest/

One thing that I find helpful when working on something I am not familiar with is to take a few pics of whatever it is with a digital camera before you start removing parts. If you need to find out where something went, just look at the pic.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/removing-drive-from-dell-dimension-8100.985387/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a 2 year old (2002) Dell Dimension 8100. The rear case fan (only fan) has ended its own life. I went to Dell to purchase a replacement and was robbed of $22 for what should have only cost about $8. However, one month later I have still not received the fan and have been forced to start looking elswhere.

Problem is, I am not sure where to look. Does anyone have good resources for sites that tell you what fans are compatible with certain systems (and possibly sells such fans)? Or has anyone already purchased a good replacement that they would suggest?

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

A:Shopping for Dell Dimension 8100 Case Fan

mostlikely any 80mm fan would work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/shopping-for-dell-dimension-8100-case-fan.10803/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello I've been getting these crashes from time to time beginning the day after I received my new Dell PC They seem to happen when I'm watching videos on the web or playing games although that could be a coincidence as I do a lot of both those things I spoke to Dell support today but I'm not totally confident in Dell BSOD XPS 8100 Occasional on Studio the resolution they Occasional BSOD on Dell Studio XPS 8100 gave me which was to reinstall windows after they send me my drivers disk but from what I understand Bluescreens caused by ntoskrnl exe are hardware-related Basic information - x -bit or x x Home Premium - the original installed OS on the system Original - an OEM or full retail version OEM - What is the age of system hardware weeks old refurbished - What is the age of OS installation weeks original installation Thank you for any help you can provide I'll be monitoring the thread to answer any questions you helpful folks might have

A:Occasional BSOD on Dell Studio XPS 8100

Dumps blame a hardware error triggered by win32k.sys, you have probably a defective RAM or GPU
Stop 0x124 - what it means and what to try
RAM - Test with Memtest86+

Code:
BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa800661d028, fa000000, 400405}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : hardware

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/146040-occasional-bsod-dell-studio-xps-8100-a.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi all

I have Toshiba Tecra 8100 & dell Latitude CPx laptops with Infrared ports , but i don't know or have the drivers for the InfraRed for these laptops.

please i need to get the drivers and how to install them ..
This is My Best and Top place to have Help everyTime..
I Love It .. )

A:Toshiba Tecra 8100 & Dell LatitudeCPx Laptops

Please don't duplicate post. Reply here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101809

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-tecra-8100-dell-latitudecpx-laptops.101802/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hello all, 

Have some questions concerning upgrading my 8100,
i am trying to get it run as a gaming computer to run things such as the most recent total war games, 
At the moment i have no graphics card (last one broke)  and am in need of a new one....
Have  looked on the web concerning this and have found that people have used the Radeon r9 270x as an upgrade. 
Which obviously means upgrading the original 350 watt PSU to support it, people have  recommended the Seasonic S12II 520  to others.....
So my question is can i just add in the radeon r9 270x and the Seasonic S12II 520 without any issues? 
Please let me know where you think i should go with this! 
cheers

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19990057