Windows Support Forum

POWER SUPPLY FROM HELL! I cannot get my custom built PC to power on! HELP!

Q: POWER SUPPLY FROM HELL! I cannot get my custom built PC to power on! HELP!

Hi forum and pc gurus My problem is specified down to my PSU at least I think so W Logisys PSU - maybe the quality has something to do with it I paid for it from NEW EGG I have A Gigabyte GA- P-DS Motherboard a Intel Core DUO Conroe GHz processor with heatsink and get I HELL! POWER FROM PC built HELP! custom power to on! cannot SUPPLY my Fan Sapphire ATI X Pro GIGS of WINTEC DDR PC RAM SATA Maxtor GIG HD inch SATA Gig HD and two DVD Burner Optical Drives both IDE I have it hooked up like this two Optical Drives connected to IDE connector cable which POWER SUPPLY FROM HELL! I cannot get my custom built PC to power on! HELP! is hooked into the IDE input on the motherboard both are set to slave Two CD outs connected one to each Optical Drives to one CD input on the motherboard Both HD s are connected to SATA inputs on the motherboard one is set for master one is set for slave I heard that it did not matter but wanted to state that anyway then my ATI RADEON X is hooked directly into my only PCI Xpress slot The power connectors are then all hooked into their respective inputs on the drives and Video Card ANd last but not least all the Power button and LED connectors are hooked into their input on the motherboard wich I set up exactly as the motherboard diagrams and directions directed I turned the switch on the PSU to on and I only got a faint mouse like squeek then nothing not even the fan So I figured it was DOA so I had newegg send me another I got it today installed it hooked all the power connectors to the hardware then popped the switch to on nothing again and the same little squeeky mouse like noise I have no idea what went wrong and this is my first custom built computer for me so any help would be great In relation I did not wear a ESD protective wristband but I did constantly touch metal to keep myself grounded but I couldnt rule out ESD to the motherboard I hope not but it is a possibility AND what is the possibility that both PSUs were DOA and what is the possibility that W is not enough to power my entire system THANKS GUYS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE Oh and yeah I have it set to V nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: POWER SUPPLY FROM HELL! I cannot get my custom built PC to power on! HELP!

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: POWER SUPPLY FROM HELL! I cannot get my custom built PC to power on! HELP!
Relevancy 100.62%

I dont mean give Dell a bad reputation but I've had a really difficult time with them.
I purchased an Inspiron 531 and a 8400gs video at the same time form the same sales rep. Little did I know that the 8400gs was not going to work with my 531's power supply. I'm assuming the sales rep made a mistake because he said that the card would work on the system. I emailed dell tech support about the issue and they said that the card would probably or probably not work on my system........whatever the heck that means. I dont want to take any chances. Plus, if im pushing the power supply wouldn't that damage my system? But, anyway,
So, life goes on....
Im looking for a power supply that is at least 350watts with 20amps on the +12volt rail that will fit the Inspiron 531.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Relevancy 99.76%

How do I figure what that voltage my blown power supply? My computer is a HP pavillion a1914h. Builded in 2006.
Also where can I get it on the cheap??

Relevancy 99.33%

Hey everyone This is a first post sorry if it s on. custom power a Built PC, won't in the wrong place I m stressing myself out trying to solve this problem on my own and it s even harder because Built a custom PC, won't power on. I don t have any tech-savvy friends that live around me Built a custom PC, won't power on. to help in person I recently browsed newegg com in search of a collection of desktop parts to put together a new budget gaming rig Ordered on Wednesday everything came Friday Figured it would all go together smoothly as I researched what I was buying got second and rd opinions from various internet friends and etc etc Here s the parts that I bought I apologize for them being linked from Newegg com Case http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Power Supply I bought this last year still works great http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Motherboard http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E CPU http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E RAM bought so I have sticks http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Video Card http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E CD DVD R RW drive http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E I also have internal hard drives that have had no issues and are capable of being powered by the PSU I own Well I get everything unboxed and put together I ll post a step by step of what I did I installed the power supply into the case but left it unplugged from everything Then I installed the motherboard Had some issues with placement because the PCI cards weren t getting enough clearance so I had to move it a couple of times Then I placed the video card into the top most PCI express slot and my wireless desktop card into the bottom most PCI slot Then I mounted all hard drives and the CD drive plugged them all into the motherboard Then I plugged my PSU into the board the drives and into the case fan on the back of the case Plugged it into the wall and no power up I tried unplugging it plugging it back in hitting the I O switch on the back of the PSU got nothing The Power On wires are plugged into the right part of the motherboard I checked double checked and triple checked The power supply is pin and I tried it in the board with all connectors and then just the pin connector I got ONE response from the system it was laying on it s side I hit the power button the fan whirred for a second then it all went dead I just don t know what I did wrong and I m just a bit annoyed that maybe I got some bad hardware or that I actually don t know what I m doing I can post pictures of the inside of the case with or without everything attached if it will help Any advice is welcome at this point I apologize for the long first post but if anyone can help I d greatly appreciate it Also let me know if I should provide any more information and if I can I will Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 97.18%

First off let me say Hi and let it be known that I ve searched the web far and wide for answers to my problem but to no avail About two weeks ago my fianc ordered some computer parts in attempt to construct a new PC to replace my piece of rubbish that was hanging on to its life by a piece of tape Literally He s put computers together for a living before and he s a game developer graduate with a love for computers so he knows what he s doing but I don t He did everything I touched nothing but watched Here are the parts which arrived last Monday and Tuesday respectively XCLIO A BK Black Case CORSAIR XMS GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR AMD Athlon X GHz AM Processor Sunbeam PSU-HUSH -US-BL W Power Supply ASUS M A -EMH HDMI AM AM AMD G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard Rosewill RCX-Z CPU Cooler Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compound I used my same ol Gb harddrive which worked fine just days before I received the parts so I know that works perfectly well Everything was smoothly put together PC POST/display/etc. Custom-built gets power but no and powered up like clockwork Eager to get started installing Windows XP we hooked it up to my monitor Powered up and everything seemed good to go fans worked mobo light worked dvd drive worked led lights came on harddrive spun up but absolutely no display Custom-built PC gets power but no POST/display/etc. hit that monitor nor did we hear any beeps To diagnose we tried the following - With and without RAM - With different RAM - With videocard plugged in and with the onboard video card just plugged in - Tried removing and reseating the videocard - Tried removing and reseating the mobo onto the antistatic wrapping as a last resort mostly - Shoved a windows XP disc in to see if it d boot from that No dice - Tried hooking it up to his working monitor - Reset the CMOS bios battery and such No dice there either There s probably more but I can t think of exactly what at Custom-built PC gets power but no POST/display/etc. the moment Feel free to toss ideas However we re sending the motherboard back tomorrow and ordering a new one either at the end of this week or on Monday most likely So my question is does anybody know if our assumption is correct We re pretty sure it s the motherboard but not positive There s no other compatible machines to work with for diagnostics apart from his Alienware which is no way in hell getting taken apart for me to mess with so Another thing to note is that when plugged directly into the back of the PC no keyboard lights came on either Thanks ahead of time I m trying to find some reassurance or redirection on the matter Hopefully this matter won t stump you as much as it s stumped he and I and a few tech-savvy friends even nbsp

A:Custom-built PC gets power but no POST/display/etc.

Did we either wipe the HDD, or try booting without it?
Relevancy 95.89%

Alright first off this isn't my first thread pertaining to my computer It is the SAME computer and is still haven't the same problems My PSU wasn't enough for my graphics card so I needed a new one I am so confused on what exactly it needs that I gave up it was Christmas when I posted that It has been an incredibly embarrassing and expensive mistake that's been glaring at me ever since I don't have the money to replace any major parts at the moment but I do have enough to replace the power supply Intel Core i - Asus GeForce GTX Azza SIRIUS - System Build - PCPartPicker is the part list - a HHD monitor OS and CPU cooler All of which can be ignored for now as far as I know This is important not only because it's expensive and needs to work but because it's been my dream to build my own computer since I started ordering the parts a month before Christmas or so as a result whoever helps me will be helping me A TON My lack of experience makes answering any questions difficult so if at all possible give me minutes over Skype to assure me on what PSU I need answer miscellaneous questions maybe take a look at the motherboard from pictures or video Any Wiring /w Problems Custom Power PC. & Supply of which would make me the happiest person alive lt Skype michaelisbad THANK YOU IN ADVANCE YOU BEAUTIFUL PERSON
Relevancy 85.14%

Toshiba Satellite L305-5955, Ive taken apart and replaced power jack. Not directly soldered to motherboard. While still apart, and battery out/in, connected power supply and still absolutely no response. Power supply is NOT original, and slightly different specs, i.e original 19v..6.3A

current 19v..3.1A

A:Toshiba Satellite L305-5955 does not respond to power supply, new power jack

Almost certainly the problem is that the current rating is wrong, if the laptop needs
6.3 A of current, it won't function on less (just as you can't use a 3A fuse for a kettle!)
Unfortunately it must be the right current rating, I know, I've been caught that way too!
Maybe you can exchange it?
Relevancy 85.14%

I have a Dell 8600 about two years old. When I plug in the AC adapter, it intermittently fades to the battery as though the plug was pulled out (its not) and of course the screen fades in an out when every time it swithces--it does it every 30 to 60 seconds or so. I switched to a different AC adapter (I have a Dell 600M with the same AC adapter)-same thing so I know it is something internally. Any ideas?

A:Dell Laptop Power Supply Fading In and Out--power jack is bad or loose?
Relevancy 85.14%

I m interested in the Toshiba G laptop but have heard that you can t use it on airplane seat power It comes with a W AC power supply Vx A but I ve been told that most airlines limit seat power to - W max Lind sells a V car adaptor for the G but specifically won t include an airline plug for this reason which I can get independently of course I ve read some interesting electrical discussions on this board Can ya ll comment on the following or provide any general advice about power consumption Given that the voltage of the laptop and airline seat power pretty much match up - V if the amp draw on the laptop exceeds what the airline power supply can deliver what will happen Will it damage the laptop to feed it insufficient current Will it shut down Supply, Power Airline 120W limitations Toshiba Power G25-AV513, the laptop altogether Merely dim the screen If I remove the laptop battery which requires power to charge it how much will that reduce the power Toshiba G25-AV513, 120W Power Supply, Airline Power limitations need of the laptop I m not sure how to work the Toshiba G25-AV513, 120W Power Supply, Airline Power limitations math but the spec sheet states the battery supplies mAh at A output Does it require the same to charge it Most importantly on my hour transpacific flights will the DVD player work with that ultrabrite screen at the low airline power supply A nice feature of the laptop is that you can watch DVDs without powering up the Windows operating system it has a small linux OS for the DVD player Granted the DVD drive and screen are probably of the most power hungry devices Has anyone used a G or a similar W laptop on a plane The ToshibaDirect support staff were mum on the issue probably for legal reasons Thanks nbsp
Relevancy 85.14%

Ever since i got this new motherboard and CPU ive been having a bit of a nightmare Wont Gigabyte Power up ga-ma790fx - Phenom AMD 9850 Supply & Power with it Gigabyte ga-ma fx-ds -Latest Bios AMD Phenom Black Edition gigs PC ram Corsair XMS CM X - ATI Radeon The problem is that the motherboard will NOT power up at all with the of the latest power supplies watt i have It wont work at all with Nothing happens its just dead Arctic watt Jeantech PSU brand new and working Corsair watt HX PSU working It only seems to work with my Jeantech Watt PSU and i cant for the life of me figure out why Ive tried everything to get the board to work with the new PSU s I had thought that the PSUs i got were dodgy but after testing out one in an older PC it worked fine Ive removed all parts and tried powering up and i cant get it to boot up But the PC seems to work fine with the oldish watt PSU which i find just unbelievable Can anyone help with this nightmare Now on the Gigabyte site the CPU i have isnt listed as supported by this motherboard which is kinda worrying could this be the reason If so how the old Power Supply Wont Power up - Gigabyte ga-ma790fx & AMD Phenom 9850 PSU boots up I just want to have the fracking thing working with the right PSU nbsp

A:Power Supply Wont Power up - Gigabyte ga-ma790fx & AMD Phenom 9850

if I read the specifications right on your mobo... it implies that it has the 4 pin PCI-e input(power) but it also has the 8pin ATX power conector. (it may be simply removing a cap that is actually right next to the 4 pin connector, thus making it an 8 pin connector (thats how it was on my mobo)

Try using the 8pin power with your new PSU, see if that works.
Relevancy 85.14%

Yesterday in my house,electric fuse was switched to turn on cooker in my kitchen. During this power delivery was stopped for 4-5 second only.
When power back on then pc automatically turns on and just before bios show me :"?Power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable supply unit.
Press F1 to continue.? And then pc booted fine to Windows.

Is this normal ? Did it damage something? Why i get that message is this normal?

6700K stock
Asus Z170-P
Corsair 750 RM
Gtx 1080
SSD 1x
Relevancy 85.14%

I picked up this Alienware 5700 off ebay to hopefully refurbish for my son but I'm new at this and still learning and so this thing has me baffled. The laptop is in pristine condition but shows no signs of life. When I plug in the power supply the green light on the power supply goes from solid green to blinking rapidly to the point you can barely see it. To me that would mean a short somewhere right ? If so where ? Has anyone else ever had experience with something like this ? I just don't want to go buying a new battery for a laptop that maybe fried already. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:No power, no lights but green light on power supply blinks rapidly

Remove the laptops battery and try the AC power only. If the green light does the same, it still could only be a bad AC adapter, or at worst, a shorted laptop motherboard
Relevancy 84.71%

Sorry I don't know the proper terms, but basically the pin inside the jack where the power cord gets plugged into on my laptop was bent so that it's really hard for me to plug in my power cord and have it stay in place. My warranty with best buy has expired, so I need to figure out how to solve this problem on my own. I can't just leave it like this because the cord comes out really easily and I can't continue to work with such a tenuous setup. Anyway, is this just a matter of replacing the entire unit inside my laptop? I know you probably need more information, but I'm not sure what to provide, so please ask any questions. The laptop is a Toshia M-45, about 3-4 years old. Thanks in advance

A:Bent power supply pin - Hard to plug in power cord

umm.. bend it back so it's closer to normal? That's all I can say about it. usually works for me.
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi, I just bought an HP pavilion e9300 a few week ago. And I am going to upgrade the power supply so that I can get a new graphic card--ATI 4870 which requires at least 500 watt power supply. My current computer is shipped with a 350 watt power supply. I will probably get a 650 watt considering the 70% effeciency of power supply.
However, when I talked to an HP technician, he insisted that I could go for a power supply with no more 450 watt. Because the system I just got has a motherboard which has a max power limit 450 watt. He said if I go beyond that, the motherboard will burn out.
So what shall I do? I really want to get ATI 4870 work well on my computer.
Thx very much.

A:Does power supply with higher power rating really burn motherboard?

The long answer is "No".
Just be sure of the dimensions of the power supply before you order a replacement, as HP uses some pretty strange sizes sometimes, and you want the new one to fit with room to spare.
Relevancy 84.71%

I have a Sony VGC-RB42G computer. I recently moved my computer, cleaned off all the dust, and when I plugged everything back in, it won't power up. The light on the power supply blinks green, inside the motherboard also has a green light that blinks as well. It has a ticking sound too, but I am not sure if it is coming from the power supply or the motherboard. Any idea what could be wrong.

FYI, I have already unplugged everything from the power supply, pulled out the ram, checked the battery, and put everything back together and still no change. One thing I thought was strange was after I unplugged everything, I pulled the power into the power supply again and this time the green light came on but did not blink. It stayed solid.

A:No Power, Blinking green light on power supply and motherboard

Sounds like a Power Supply problem.
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello guys.  Can anyone help me understand the power supply on the HP Envy Phoenix 860-019?  The PCIE connector 6 pin connected to the GTX 960 has black and white wires.  Shouldn't there be yellow and black wires?  Yellow is usually 12 volt and black wires ground.  Is the 6 pin connected to my GTX 960  supplying a standard 75 watts of power or something else?  I want to install a GTX 1070 but the 6 pin wire colors are not the industry standard color scheme.  Also there is a 2 pin power connector with a white and black wire.  Usually a 6 pin and a 2 pin can be used together to connect into a 8 pin socket on a GTX 1070.  Will my connectors supply the needed power and connect properly because the color scheme on the wires make no sense. Thank you
Relevancy 84.71%

It's been a while since I built a system from scratch and have a... errr... simple question

gfx: Sapphire HD3850 512MB Ultimate (passive)

MB: MSI P35 Neo2 FIR

PSU: Seasonic M12II 500W

The motherboard has a power connector for the graphic card next to the slot.

Is there any reason I should connect the power for the card to the power connector on the board instead of directly to the power supply?

A:Graphic card power to power supply or connector on motherboard?

First time I have ever seen that feature. I like it. I'm thinking that is a neat/easy way to partially eliminate cable clutter from the PSU. Give it a shot, you can always revert to PSU cable if you wish.
Relevancy 84.28%

Ok so it's time again for me to pick a new power supply however I'm in need of some help determining the appropriate wattage for my hardware setup AMD Phenom II X nm AM GSkill Ripjaw X GB Dual-Channel DDR MHz - - - new a Consumption-Picking Supply Hardware Power Power Corsair TX w I dont think its the V ASUS M A AM r here are the voltages listed on speccy if they are of any use V V V V CPU CORE V VIN V VIN V V V VIN Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply V VIN V VIN V ASUS ATI Radeon HD x in Crossfire w ea GB Patriot Pyro SE SSD GB OCZ OCZ-ONYX SSD LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH NS ATA I have terrible luck with random bsod's and power supplies pooping on me I want to pick one this time that will last me Also I have my power running through a Monster Power HT I live in a new apartment so the wiring should be ok I've dusted out all Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply of the components inside the case double checked my connections all that jazz I've got a cooler over my memory I am still using my stock cpu cooler but thats changing soon I get crashes idle too Any help I could recieve I would appreciate thanks Andrew

A:Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply

You have pretty much the same problem as me (getting BSOD's randomly). For me it's bulging capacitors on motherboard. You should take a closer look for capacitors on your motherboard. Dead capacitors look something like that:
Relevancy 84.28%

Working on a dell dimension 2400,think may have bad power supply.Anybody know if that model uses a proprietary PSU? or will a regular industry standard one work?

A:Dell Power Dimension 2400 power supply

Should be a standard ATX PS.
Relevancy 84.28% we finally got my girlfriends new PC up and running. The problem im having...or more of a concern really. Is when you flip off the power supply, and then flip it back on, the PC gets a short burst of power. IE the lights and fans all come on for a second or two. Then you can press the power button and turn it back on.

Any ideas guys?

Relevancy 84.28%

I shut down my Pavilion Elite for 1 week while away and now it will not turn on. The power supply light is on, I replaced the CMOS battery and the power switch is ok.

A:Pavilion elite power supply light on, won't power up

As you did not mention any message or display on the screen, I would use this tutorial for a step by step diagnostic.  It also helps to remove the side panel, and visually watch the CPU and rear case fan movement(s).  As you press the power button, pay attention to the fans. Also does the Power Supply LED stay ON? Or did it go OUT when you pressed the power button?
Relevancy 82.56%

My first post I received my new DVD DL -RW drive today and eagerly installed it I of course unplugged my computer s power supply while doing it After plugging the power back in the green up power disconnecting after power supply Computer won't LED on the back of the CPU started blinking never noticed this before and when I hit the power button NOTHING happen No fan Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply turns no lights nothing When I unplug the power supply the green LED blinking gets slower and slower and after about minutes it totally stops I plug the power suppply back in and it starts blinking all over again and still the power won t turn on All I did was replace a CD-ROM drive with a DVD Multi drive I didn t mess with anything else so there should be no power supply shortage or problem Any thoughts as to what could Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply be happening By the way I have a year old Compaq computer with ghz Athlon gig RAM no problems thus far nbsp

A:Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply

While installing the new optical drive, you might have inadvertently loosened one or more connectors. Recheck all data and power cables to make sure they are tight, including all those to the motherboard.
Relevancy 82.56%

I have a server that I would like HD Power Supply Question Power Consumption & to upgrade to TB Hitachi HD s They claim max startup current of A and idling down in the A range The platform will be a -series X with a Core Duo Graphics card is small does not even require aux power connector Not needed to just supply the KVM with x No other signficiant sources of V drain exist other than the MB CPU a slim CD-Drive for installs a slim floppy and one additional GB Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption SSD startup drive W when active I am looking at an W Corsair I ve heard these are quality supplies and I don t want Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption multiple rails since no one really knows what sort of Voodoo goes on as to how they divide multiple rails up And I don t want to get into that I will be using a single-rail V PS I can add a second if I need to but I d rather not Do you think this will be sufficient for handling Hitachi hard drives quot Green quot drives are a non-starter since they will drive my Raid controller and then me off the deep end with TLER issues I do have staggered spin-up control of the drives with the controller Thanks for any help nbsp

A:Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption

Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption, Pt. 2 - Laptop vs. 3.5"

My second question is this - I have a BTV server that needs to be on at all times during the season to record shows during day and evening.

Suffice it to say that you CANNOT reliably put one of the critters into sleep/hibernate mode and expect it to wake up and reliably record a show. It just won't happen.

Now, this is one case where I can use "Green" 3.5" drives, but I am also considering banking 500GB 7200RPM or even 5400RPM laptop drives. These will all be on a raid controller, but since they will be in pass-thru mode or RAID 0 mode the controller won't freak over TLER like it would with RAID 5/6 and mark the drives bad. The controller also has more than adequate cache to handle a 5400RPM spindle as OTA HDTV generates little more than 2.5MB per second per channel. Even 4 channels at once is 10MB/s and that should not tap the ability of a 3Ware controller with cache on 5400 RPM RAID 0 or even pass-thru drives.

My question is this - 2 500GB laptop drives burn much less startup and idle current than a single 1TB 3.5" drive. Has anyone tried running multiple laptop drives on a RAID controller, and what sort of luck have you had? What sort of sustained throuput can you obtain?

Electricity is a huge factor here, at 12 cents per KWh. I can recover the marginal cost of 2 500GB laptop drives vs. 1 1TB 3.5 drive.

Case construction and drive cages are not the issue here.
Relevancy 82.56%

Finally broke down and started building a new system - I m too old to game this all started out as a home video project Anyway - gathered all my components now I m working to assemble them The case power plug. fan power New for supply, no schematic, looking came with New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. an Okia Model -ATX power supply But no wiring schematic I m trying to identify the power supply fan plug - what New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. seems to be it doesn t at all match the connector on the board And I ve got that positively identified by the board manual The board has a small male pin connection The only thing I can find that might be the fan connector coming from the supply is a small pin plug at the end of of the New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. strings of drive power harnesses Nothing tucked up behind the supply case or anything Is that likely to be it Or would that be for a floppy or something I tried to Google for a wiring schematic but could find nothing In fact nothing much at all on this brand of supply - just a couple places that sell them Please don t tell me I got an el cheapo that isn t worth having At the risk of getting ahead of myself in case I need to adapt something like that to the different style male connector on the board in this case or something else I may find as i progress is there some type of source for adapters or what would I do Bear with me this probly won t be the last question I ll dream up - just getting started While I m at it - the board manual talks about a connector for a power supply that senses board temps - that s another reason I d like to find a schematic or some sort of instructions for the power supply OH The connectors for the fans in the case don t match the connector on the board either The board has another small male pin connector for the case fan s but these have a larger bigger pin pin connector Again - I suppose it s adapter time Guess I ll need that source Thanks for helping an quot old quot computer student still and probly always in a definite learning curve nbsp

A:New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug.

There are basically two voltages available to you: 5V and 12V. Doesn't really matter where you get it from - some pin on the mobo or some wire from the PSU.

From the PSU the yellow wires are 12V and red ones 5V, black is ground. The fan voltages should be written on the fan itself, the black fan wire is ground, red may be 12V or 5V depending on the fan voltage.

Fan headers on the motherboard should be labelled so, check with a voltmeter what pin gives out what.
Relevancy 82.56%

I have a generic MB (P-120 CPU ) which I just switched to a different case and power supply. It has an extra "six pin power type connection" in the middle of the board. Only one supply that I have matchs this and the wires are three green and three black. What is the funtion of this connector, it looks from the wire colors to be some form of switch.

Its a case of not wanting to swap out the power suppy from my other unit unless necessary. I have 4 other supplies and none have the extra wire, which is listed as P10.

Many thanks in advance.

A:extra power leads on power supply?

Sounds like typical extra +5V lead and can be used for any number of things...(riser cards,backplanes,to drive extra slots, etc.)
Without knowing the specs. on your motherboard this question is impossible to answer...Post Mobo identification (make/model) or obtain FCC ID and post that. Perhaps we can find a more definitive answer for you...BOL
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi everybody I tried to search on google about this but it s not really help and it never happen to me before so I post here My PC was running normally for a long time just couple weeks ago I sent supply or button problem? power Power my faulty video card xfx nvidia ultra to get warranty service and they sent me back another The new one works fine but Power supply or power button problem? a week later I tried to turn on my computer and there s no power at all No lights on Power supply or power button problem? no fan running just no sign of power So I check inside if there s any wire from the PSU is unplugged but everything looks good nothing seems wrong I m sure the power from the wall is good and the power switch on the back is on So I tried to check the wired again push the power cable to the mother harder and press the button it worked But that doesnt solve the problem if I put something heavy near the PC or the desk is vibrating a little bit the power turns off I press the power button again it would not turn on until I open the case and press the power cable to the motherboard harder it s on I then close the side panel it s off no power This is really annoyed me I dont know what else to do What caused this problem The power supply or the power button Can somebody help me My system specs ECS G T-M mobo Intel E Duo x GB RAM x SATA HD nVidia ultra video card ULTRA s watt PSU nbsp

Relevancy 82.56%

Hi I m currently a computing student so I rely won't up power (poss. Computer supply) power on my computer a lot for my studies and was hoping I could get some quick advice troubleshooting on here So here goes I ve had a problem with my computer recently it s been working fine Computer won't power up (poss. power supply) for a year or so with no problems and then one day i tried switching it on and nothing happened I tried once more and then the power short circuited I then had to turn the power back on from the mains switch The strange thing is my housemate had exactly the same problem and after searching for the answer he was told it was due to a static buildup and the solution was to take out components graphics card RAM e t c and put them back in I tried this and no luck I was thinking due to the short circuit there may be a problem with a fuse in the power supply other then that I m completely stumped and would appreciate any help given Many Thanks for all help received nbsp

A:Computer won't power up (poss. power supply)

Does it happen with any other appliances? as in does using the toaster while using the kettle While your mate is in the Electric shower, telly on, or ironing?

Possibly a static build up, it is possible, Wher are you situated??
What voltage are you on?

What is the make and model of your comp? is it the same as your friends?

is your machine custom built or is it a brand?
Answer a few of them and we will try to narrow it down 4 you..

Mean while if you could get your hands on a spare PSU that would be handy. And remember when dealing with PSU's alway leave them to sischarge for at least 24hrs,
the 3 D'S, Disconect, discharge, dismantle.
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi All Happy New Year to all members and technical assistants I have a little issue in which I require some help and guidance I have a PIII MHZ replaced power Pc supply after wont power on MB Pc wont power on after power supply replaced memory with a ASUS MB- Recently it died on me and assumed that the reason Pc wont power on after power supply replaced I could not get to power it up is due to my power supply I went out and spent the money and bought a brand new power supply from a computer retailor I saw him remove it from a brand new case I Pc wont power on after power supply replaced installed the power supply trying to power it up I can see the fan rotate a little bit but not enough to power on Changed socket and it power on It booted up but after sec it shut itself off and now I cannot power it back on until min later when I went and change power socket once more This time the power did not stay up very long As soon it powered up no more than min later while it was loading windows Xp it shut itself off nad now again can t power it back on I have a power extention and power bar in which I used and both shuts the computer off Anything else plugged to it doesn t seem to do any affect This is the second new power supply I m trying What else can it be I have not tried to place the computer in a different room on a different plug yet I will try that tonight but in the meantime what else can I try Thanks for your help and listening Cheers nbsp

Relevancy 82.56%

was watching dvd and pc cut out completely... high pitch beeping comming from my power supply on hp 110 desktop... when i unplug from tower beeping stops .. plug it back in and it resumes.  No power, no flashing leds ... just constant beeping... no pattern ... just beeps continuously.

A:constant beep from power supply... no power to pc at all.

let me be clear.... beeping not coming from tower.... it comes from the plug in power supply... the square box part of it.
Relevancy 82.56%

Hey, got quite a problem with my laptop.. It's a Medion Erazer X7813, worked well for ~2 years.
I was doing a graphics card benchmark yesterday and it stopped in the middle of it(monitored temperature, it was at ~80 degrees Celsius when it turned off). No bluescreen or anything just off and I couldnt restart after that(no fans nothing). I thought it might be the power supply, so I tested it, but it was doing 19v when not plugged in, but when I plugged it in and unplugged it again it was at 1v. When testing I unintentionally shorted the power supply and it showed 1v after that just as it did after plugging it in, is it shorting inside the laptop? Could it be the battery or something more serious like the MB? Any ideas are welcome!

A:Laptop gets no power, power supply seems to be working

The charging circuits on the laptop motherboard may be shorted...
Relevancy 82.56%

Ok so lately I have been getting a BSOD at very random times and it looks like a Diver Power State failure. SO all of my friends and every website I go to makes it seem like I need to get a PSU. Right now I have a Quad Core and a 8800GT and 375W PSU. So my friend told me to get a new 700W PSU.

So, if the only fix is to get a new PSU? I tried to rollback my GPU driver but it didn't help.

So any ideas?

A:Driver Power Failure = New Power Supply?

You're greatly risking the health of your whole computer while running with such underpowered power supply. Do yourself a favour and get a quality PSU. That's the cheapest one that is enough and of good quality that I could find with a quickish search.
Relevancy 82.56%

So I hooked my pc up after I took it w/ me to work becuase I though I was going to a lan tonight. But when I came home and plugged it back. I noticed the power supply box light was blinking. And it wont turn on. No power or what so ever. I need help BADLY

A:Power Supply Light Blinking. No Power :(!

Have you opened case to make sure all connections are secure? Something may have come loose while you were transporting it. Give us more info about your computer (e.g. make and model, cpu, ram, name of psu, etc.)
Relevancy 82.56%

My power supply died a few days ago and I have replaced it. My PC will now boot but will not send a signal (turn on) the monitor. Everything on the PC seems to work but it just will not turn on signal to the monitor. I have tried two different monitors with the same result.

Relevancy 82.56%

Hello everyone - I have just assembled a new build It will not power up I need a suggestion to figure out if the problem is the case or the motherboard This is a mini-itx build power-up: power New or Build MB? no supply case's The case is New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? Linkworld LC - B This case comes with a volt watt external laptop-style power supply that plugs into the rear of the case just like New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? a laptop power supply plugs into a laptop - a barrel connector Inside this power connection connects to a power supply component that is not like a regular ATX power supply but is on a printed-circuit board New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? mounted on the case This has several capacitors and other stuff From that comes the -pin and -pin power supply lines for the motherboard I assume the -volt power supply for this external power supply unit is right since it came with the case It was watt The processor is an IBM t with TDP of watts Lower-powered CPUs can be put in a small so I assumed the power supply might be under-powered I ordered a -watt volt power supply with the right size barrel - and same polarity pos inside The MB is an ASRock H MV-ITX It is mini-itx form factor Still same problem Everything is connected correctly When I press the power-on button an external CD drive I have plugged-in spins up for a while But no power light comes on in the front of the case there are no POST beeps the fan for the CPU does not spin up No other signs of life So power is getting into the MB - the external CD drive is plugged into a USB socket in the rear panel of the MB After trying a watt and watt power supply I believe the problem cannot be the power supply cord Can it be that I have too little load I don t think so I plugged in another mm fan and an ol-fashion floppy drive just the power connection to add more load - same thing no power-up no POST nothing but the CD drive will spin up when I open-then-close it yet again So here is the help I need what else can I try -assuming the MB and case are fine is it more likely the case power supply is bad or the MB --Thanks nbsp

A:New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB?

Well, I figured out the problem.
I am planning to re-do the older mini-itx system I have; it has gotten riddled with Trojan software for kids downloading games; it basically has been de-commissioned already.

So, I took the pico-psu power supply from that older computer, and hooked it up to the one I am making. Everything went perfectly.

So, I un-did that, removed the MB from case, disconnected the barrel-power connection from the case, unscrewed and removed the power supply that had been mounted in the case, put the pico-psu power supply back in place (I had to drill the hole for the barrel-connection out to be a little bigger since the pico-psu internal/external connection is threaded and held in place by nut with lock washer), and routed wires to be clear of cpu fan, screwed MB to stand-offs, and closed it all up.

now, everything is great. I like this linkworld case, but the power supply is worthless. I may try to get a few dollars back from the ebay vendor, to make me happy with a case that is less than what I should have gotten, but is working for me; I don't want to wait on returns, etc.
Relevancy 79.98%

Hey, i'm building a computer but i haven't realized that the power supply i need is an atx 2.0. What power supply should i get??

I was orignally looking at the Ultra X-connect but it doesn't support atx 2.0 Damn.

Relevancy 79.55%

hey I have an interesting problem supply jumper power and power When I plug the atx power supply into my motherboard as soon as it makes contact the psu fan spins about times then power supply and power jumper stops which i suspect means its testing to see if it works or something But i have a computer out of the case and i power supply and power jumper might have made the fatal mistake of useing a paper clip to quot jump start quot the motherboard by contacting the power jumpers now whenever and metal contact is made paper clip the actual start mechanism anything it won t cut on Well me thinking i must have messed up the jumpers cut the psu green and red cord i double checked to make sure they were the power on cords and twisted them togeather and put electrical tape around them I know its not the best job but i was just testing a theory When I plug in the psu and its plugged into the motherboard the psu fan becomes turned on because of the twisted on wires and spins But the cpu fan and motherboard remain powerless I am wondering if i ve done something wrong or have screwed something up any help would be appreciated ps before the problems begain i installed the motherboard into a case because it was just components and i founnd a cheap case When I installed the motherboard I screwed metal screws into the contace points where the motherboard is supposed to rest I heard somewhere metal is bad for the bottoms of motherboards so that could be it thanks nbsp

A:power supply and power jumper

Disconnect External Power To The Wall Socket Before Messing Around In The Box!!!!!!!!!!!
Relevancy 79.55%

My PC suddenly shut off and wouldn't turn on, but the mouse and motherboard lights were still on. A tech took my PC and ran some tests. I assumed that either my Power supply or my Motherboard was unfunctional but he called me back telling me that it was neither, and that the problem was coming from "a part" that gave power to the motherboard. The replacement of this part would cost $80.

Am I getting ripped off? What part could possibly cost $80 and isn't the Power supply?

Relevancy 79.55%

I have a Delta DPS-150GB B Power Supply out of an Apple Macintosh Power Mac computer. I would like to use it as a 12v/5A power supply for my model train layout. I have a couple important questions:

1) I need to know the pin-outs of the connectors (1-4pin, 1-14pin, 1-5pin on ribbon wire), specifically which ones control start-up and various voltage outputs.

2) Being a Switching Power Supply, I think there must be a load on at least one of the output rails. Can I create this with a simple resistor of some sort? if so, how exactly what would I need to do.

I can email photo of the connectors if that would halp. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Relevancy 79.55%

HP Palvilion m c Motherboard IPIBL-LA Berkeley http h www hp com ewfrf wc lc en amp lang en amp lc en amp product amp task N Power Supply DPS- ab- a http www itwinkle com hp posu html Hello all this is my power Is NO motherboard? it or supply POWER, first post First let me thank all NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard? for being here and sharing your vast knowledge My PC and power supply is above web-links included for more accurate description Also I have scoured this forum internet attempting to resolved and yes there is a ton of info The problem is the I cannot find specific details quot similar quot to my problem regarding how they determined the repair action other than replaced power or mobo So hopefully when this is resolved this will help someone with my similar problem - Problem gt PC will not turn-on just as if not plugged into power source -- Sypnopsis gt Nothing unusual happened as far as I know Shut-down PC for the evening as usual next day went to turn it on nothing - Troubleshooting accomplished -- Checked power outlet amp cords checked good -- Green light on back of power supply is steady green normal indication -- Removed power supply to test with multi-meter Strapped jumpered pins green wire with ground blk wire All appears normal everything is in range of specifications values below pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin - pin pin pin -- Tested my power button wires for continuity on PC case properly shorts -- Reassemble everything still nothing -- Disassemble entire PC motherboard is sitting on cardboard box --- Items plugged into motherboard -pin atx plug and from NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard? power supply -pin plug volt from power supply gig ram stick CPU amp CPU fan - Goal gt power-on motherboard -- Tried shorting power button pins nothing -- Tried shorting reset pins nothing -- Jump-started NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard? atx plug with paper clip POWERS ON See link below for example http www youtube com watch v FCspIGgBV amp feature related Unfortunately unlike the youtube video when I remove the paper clip I lose power and back to square one - Back to the PS tested PS with strap jumper on when I remove the strap the ATX loses power through its plugs though the green light stays constant green There is no external on off switch on the power supply -- Should the power supply lose power once the strap is removed -- If so how does the power supply know to stay on -- Any help is much appreciated trying to determine if power supply is bad MOBO etc and if I can repair it Also I cannot swap items I do not have any additional parts laying around ADDITONAL NOTES - When powered on the mobo pwr-btn pins and the reset pins have voltage accross them volts dc pwr btn pins though has quot NO quot effect when shorted volts dc reset pins resets when shorted it works the way it should - Attached additional items to see if I could fully boot PC System Fan note will not boot without this fan plugged-in quot ERROR System Fan Has Failed Service PC to prevent damage to the System Press F to continue quot video card geforce gt hp pn- key board plugged into PS keyboard port mouse plugged into PS mouse port Hard drive When strapped I can boot competely up and log-on to desktop When I choose quot restart quot via windows soft button it resets properly When I choose quot shutdown quot it will shutdown but then I have to remove the strap and reset the cmos I get no display unless I reset the CMOS to boot up properly again I m guessing ultimately its the power supply Since the problem directs back to losing power The PC boots properly when I make the conditions right so that would most likely eliminate a motherboard or cpu problem What I don t understand nor can I find any info on is how does the power supply stay activate I m aware of the shorting of the power button pins on the mobo Probably thinking too much into it but the power supply seems to be working accept for the mystery quot no po... Read more

Relevancy 79.55%

Came home walked in and noticed my PC was off monitor was on speakers on modem everything on as if the power had blinked out for a sec and my system had shutdown No Supply, lights no to Power power I pressed the power button on the front and got nothing i checked the power supply s own power on off switch on the back and got nothing no light that its on or anything thought maybe it was the cable so i plugged it into my other pc and the No power to Power Supply, no lights cable No power to Power Supply, no lights works so i m thinking maybe the psu went bad or took a hit Im guessing i just need to replace it How difficult is it to replace it by yourself i ve never done that before and do you think that its the psu at fault I m thinking that if there is not power on light then something is wrong big with it my heat temps stay down between C and C at the highest Also can i replace it with just any other w power supply or does it need to be a specific kind company i bought it from online listed it as dual core certified w psu no mention of v rail or anything else i guess i can get that from them if they have it on file nbsp

A:No power to Power Supply, no lights

Well sounds like your power supply took a power surge. Well to start with i would try a power supply. Now about replacing the power supply cheap is not the best way to go, learned from experience. Here is my recommendation:
And for replacing a PSU not hard. If you need help removing it Post back i will walk you through step by step if need be.
Relevancy 79.55%

Would a 500W power supply power this

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

Nvidia Geforce GTS450 1GB PNY

Gigabyte SKT-AM3 GA-880GM

DVD RW Drive

A:Would a 500W power supply power this

Hi QGamez,

I reckon a 500W wouldn't be enough but a 750W may be the right one. I had a look in a few forums and they had 650W & 750W etc but not 500W.

But wait for more input from the others and see what they have to say
Relevancy 79.55%

Somebody, please tell me what this is and what's it used for?

Relevancy 79.55%

I have a Windows XP Home Edition SP computer GHz MB Ram GB HDD Last week I installed SP on my computer because I had SP and decided to upgrade A couple days later when I click on quot turn off quot my computer restarts NOT shutdown When I click on quot stand by quot The screen goes black then I get a quot blue screen quot Like in Windows But it Power Supply Power or Strip? s dark blue and stays up for only a second Then the computer resets The next day my computer stopped Power Supply or Power Strip? that but Power Supply or Power Strip? then As soon as I press the power button the TV in the living room goes all fuzzy I turn it off I remove the power strip thinking that it went bad I do use every plug but other power strips in the house are full too I plug it directly into the wall The restart stops still fuzzy I unplug ALL the connections in the back of my PC except the Power and monitor It stops Plug it all back in Put it in another outlet in my room Does it again Change HDD power cable motor could be causing this I finally realize that it s the TV tuner card The cable connection is already being split into ths I had a bad plug on the TV splitter so the fuzziness got fixed I put the power strip back on and the restart is going on again I tried on a outlet too Why is my computer restarting when I click quot Turn Off quot Is the quot shutdown exe quot corrupted nbsp

A:Power Supply or Power Strip?

Check your power management settings (and reinstall software if needed, from the manufacturer website). I've run across many problems with SP2 messing with power management settings...
Relevancy 79.55%

Went to dinner left PC running Came back PC shut down Would not restart no power lights fans LEDs nada zip zilch We had a brown out a few days back I figured the power supply finally crapped out supply...still no power power!? new installed Tonight installed a new power supply Antec Smartpower w No installed new power supply...still no power!? change I push start button absolutely nothing I have checked a power at outlet OK b changed power cords original is installed new power supply...still no power!? cord OK but I notice when I insert the plug into the recepticle there is a spark Now I m not much of an electrician but I don t think there should be a spark for just plugging it in c I have plugged my backup PC this one into the same outlet on the surge protector and it s running fine soooo the problem is in the computer If I plug the power supply in shouldn t the PS fan run It doesn t Can there be something bad on the shudder mobo like maybe the start switch or something Also confusing me I have sata HD this new PS has power plugs for sata My old power supply only had the regular pin plug that I plugged into the sata HD yet it ran fine Do I need to use the sata plugs on the new PS Cripes I m so freakin computer impared Please need help this is my gamer PC and I m a BF junkie Thanks for viewing this thread AMD GA K NS ATI XT mb Turtle Beach Santa Cruz gig PC XP Home sp nbsp

A:installed new power supply...still no power!?

Is the LED lit on the MB? Try bypassing the front case switch by putting the blade of a small screwdriver across the pins on the MB that the switch connects to.
Relevancy 79.55%

Ok so i do know what the no Power and supply 100%, mobo are power problem is this is more about what i can do to use my computer until i can fix the problem Ill start off with what the problem is My computer wont turn on from the get go i knew the power supply was okay Power supply and mobo are 100%, no power because the mother board has a green light on it showing that its getting power of course just in case i tried putting a new supply in but there were no changes At first glance the mother board looked good No blown resistors or anything of that sort i sent it to a friend to check it out though once again just to be thorough and sure Finally after Power supply and mobo are 100%, no power hours of tedious searching i found the problem The chip that the power button plugs into has blown out Very happy thats all it is Now my question to all of you is is there anyway to bypass using that board so i can run my computer until i replace it if i just unplug the little board that the button is a part of the computer obviously does not turn on when i attach the computer to power and i dont know how i can trick it into turning on without having the use of the power button Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks Ryan nbsp

A:Power supply and mobo are 100%, no power

There are some motherboards that have a power on button directly on the motherboard. I don't suppose you have one of those? There are some BIOS' that can enable the keyboard to power on the PC by pressing any key. I'm using one of them now. Of course, the problem with that is to get the PC started in the first place so you can change the BIOS setting (if it has that setting).

What motherboard do you have?
Relevancy 78.26%

hi guys as per one of my friend I could replace my memory RAM up to GB so I ve ordered Power Light Motherboard/Power 8300 AMBER Green XPS - Supply - Light a couple sticks of Kingston HyperX nbsp so I ve took slot and replaced GB Hynix RAM by GB HyperX Now I have a good old CPU that doesnt work plus it smell like burnt plastic with no apparent damage to XPS 8300 - AMBER Motherboard/Power Light - Green Power Supply Light the board or RAM nbsp Startup x BEEP No BIOS Motherboard Light Solid AmberBootup Light Flashing AmberPower Supply Light Solid Green I ve tried booting from nbsp a single RAM unit on slot one then slot two and nothing has changed anyone can help Motherboard Y MRGhttp www findlaptopdriver XPS 8300 - AMBER Motherboard/Power Light - Green Power Supply Light com specs- y mrg-dell Processor i Primary SSD Kingston HyperX Savage added Secondary Seagate TB TB added Barracuda New RAM nbsp ts HX C FK http www kingston com dataSheets HX C FK pdfOld RAM nbsp HMT U CFR C-H https www amazon com PC - - MHz-Hynix-HMT U CFR C-H -Unbuffered dp B BTRAS
Relevancy 76.97%

I just purchased a new Dell PC.  I now get this message when I turn on my speakers:
power surge on the USB port. Unknown USB device needs more power than the port can supply. I have no idea why or how to fix it. Can anyone help me?

Relevancy 76.97%

For the last two weeks every time I start my Dell INSPIRON E while using the power supply I am greeted with the following message quot The AC power adapter type cannot be determined Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge Please cannot Supply power - AC type be determined....." "The adapter Power connect a Dell W AC adapter or higher for best system operation quot I press the F Key and everything works fine I ve read about this on other websites and most say it s a design Power Supply - "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined....." flaw in the power supply after the cord has been properly wound around the supply as designed Apparently a few of the cords internal wire strands Power Supply - "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined....." become broken and cause this message My computer is from June and shouldn t be having this issue so early or ever This seems like a flaw that should have created some type of manufacturers recall since so many people are having this issue I m of course out of warranty will Dell replace this free of charge nbsp

A:Power Supply - "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined....."

You are correct, the failure is due toloss of the power supply ID signal. Sometimes this happens because of strain on the plug, which breaks the signal wire. Some even are so severe that the insulation breaks away from the plug; this is due to rough handling. The other cause is one or more of the power socket solder connections to the system board become broken. This also is related to severe handling. I have seen one case where all three power connections and three of four mechanical connections were disconnected. If the power supply is bad, a replacement will cure the problem. If not, then the socket is bad, and this will require a system board replacement. If you are experienced, you can try to resolder the connections. I am experienced and was not able to get my daughter's E6000 to work by resoldered. More recent Dells are using a replacable power connection board which is a much cheaper repair.
Relevancy 73.53%

Is 400W would be enough for a computer with: Intel Core Q8300, ATI Radeon 4890 1GB, 4GB RAM... ? (I would use computer for gaming too.)
If not, what would be recommended?

Relevancy 71.38%

I built my first PC today but when I turn it on nothing happens No fans no beeps nothing so I ll start from the beginning hopefully someone can help me out Build RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX- WBP Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case W Power Supply - Built up PC not power does Retail GIGABYTE GA-P -DS L LGA Intel P ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail XFX PVT PYDF GeForce GT Built PC does not power up MB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail Intel Core Duo E Wolfdale GHz LGA W Dual-Core Processor Model BX E - Retail LITE-ON X DVD R DVD Burner With X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH- A S - Retail GIGABYTE GN-WP GS PCI Wireless Adapter - Retail Seagate GB and GB hardrives used GB memory x GB bought to replace bad memory on another computer but turned out Built PC does not power up to be bad memory ports don t know brand etc I built it following online instructions and using my own previous knowledge of computers It s Built PC does not power up not my first time inside one but my first time building from scratch Assembly went well with no real problems I used an antistatic wrist band clipped to the case I completed assembly and flipped the power supply switch and the lights on the keyboard flashed this is what confuses me most I pressed the power button on the front and nothing happens No fans no beeps no lights absolutely nothing I checked the front panel button connections and they re correct I stripped it down to the mobo PSU and CPU Same things happened I tried shortcircuiting the PSU ATX power plug green wire to black wire leaving it connected to the fans The drives were left disconnected from when I stripped it down Again nothing happened and of course the keyboard lights didn t flash this time This has lead me to believe that I have a bad PSU except the flashing keyboard lights confuse me All parts were bought from newegg com unless otherwise stated and are still eligible for replacement So do I have a bad PSU or a bad mobo or cpu I believe it s safe to say it s one of those three but which I m not sure My personal opinion is that the CPU is least likely to be the problem I could return any combination of the three for replacement What are your opinions on the problem nbsp

A:Built PC does not power up

I use to have a similar problem it might be the connectors for the power button reset button hdd led power led are not in the right pins you have to consult your motherboard manuel and check the proper pin located for each part.
Relevancy 70.52%

Hey I'm having problems with my self built PC Basically it won't switch on and i'm worried that something has shorted out and damaged my PC I've had no problems with powering Self Issue Power Built PC up my computer before this I have been having trouble with my SSD though so I bought a new one I removed the old SSD and fitted the new one Whilst I had the case open I noticed an additional SATA data and power cable that I was using to diagnose problems with the old SSD I removed both of them and moved the power cables to the PSU along so that there were no empty sockets between the connections I closed the case and Self Built PC Power Issue plugged the external Self Built PC Power Issue power cable and all of the peripherals back in as normal However when I switched the tower Self Built PC Power Issue on the power light lit up briefly then went out I checked if the internal power connectors were in securely and they seemed to be I tried to switch it on again and all I got was a low click then a brief whirring noise The power light did not switch on I opened the case again and found that the internal power cable for the main part of the motherboard was loose As a precaution I reseated all of the power cables that went into the PSU and checked that all of the connections to the components were secure I also checked the power button connection to the motherboard I still only got the click then whirring noise when I switched the tower on I've also checked the power cable that goes into the case and it's fine What can I do to diagnose what's wrong my PC and how much damage could I have caused to it Please help

A:Self Built PC Power Issue

Could actually be a faulty psu. The symptoms you make-a describe are typical of that.

Borrow, beg, steal or buy (or make-a) new psu and try.

If no possible, take all component out and rebuild from a scratch-a. Even board of mother a too. Turn on with only bare minimum and make-a test. Keep going until you make-a problem. If no make-a problem, have make fun.

Make-a sure board mounted nice in case like maker book say to. Sometimes no plastic washer is good, sometime they make-a good, depending on board.

Important to also make-a check that no single ting overclockified.
Relevancy 70.52%

Just finished putting together a new pc with a MSI K9VGM-V mainboard, an AMD 64 Athlon X2 processor and a HEC SECC 7K09 Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case. When I try to turn it on, it starts up and then less than 2 seconds later it shuts down. Checked all of my connections and everything seems to be hooked up right. Case came with its own 270W power supply. Any ideas? Thanks

A:Newly built PC won't power up

Have your read and followed the guide at the top of the forum for troubleshooting problem builds? If you follow the guide, you will find the cause of your problem.

Next depending on what cpu you installed, a 270W pw supply may be very underpowered. As an example, if you installed a 6400+ X2 with that power supply, that would really be asking for a problem. You might get by with that pw supply with one of the 65W cpus and a very low end video card.

It would really help if you posted the exact system specs; ie mb, cpu, ram, video card, etc, etc, etc.
Relevancy 70.09%

I've searched the tutorials and the forum and couldn't find anything on the following:

Is there a way set a schedule for sleep mode? I would like my system to go to sleep at 11:00PM and awaken at 6:45AM 7 days a week. If so, how is it done?

A:Custom Power Settings

Did you search for tutorials on "task scheduler"??

Not sure, but that sounds like something it could do.
Relevancy 70.09%

Ok I ll try to give as much details as possible Im a software engineer so Computer: Custom Won't power up go ahead all you hardware guys point and laugh These are my specs CoreDX -VSTA - ASRock mobo ghz p with HT gb ddr i know gb ide hd gb ide hd gb usb external geforce gtx pioneer d dvd dl burner xbox anyone Here are the symptoms Well I have xp vista dual boot Custom Computer: Won't power up and I switched over to xp to install crysis I have an iso of it so I installed daemon tools installed winrar extracted it and rebooted I got up forgot to select earlier version of windows so i was back into vista rebooted again i must have forgot again so the third time i got into xp It got to starting up windows and sat there for quite some time So I hard reset the computer It did to POST Boot bios crap and pretty much quit working halfway through after it initialized my hard drives somewhere in that area So I noticed this was abnormal did another hard restart The light comes on the face of my computer case but nothing hardware wise is running I pop off my case side and noticed when I power it on the psu clicks and my cpu fan twitches And thats it The light on the front of my case stays on and if I hold it it will shut off If it weren t for the light i d never know the mobo was responding at all The hard drives don t power up nothing From what I know about hardware i m going to guess wildly that the psu is fine Doesn t smell funny or anything I haven t made any significan t hardware changes or any for that matter Except When I booted into xp I had to install my netgear wireless card Which worked fine before I rebooted And I installed my audio drivers since this was the second time i booted into the xp install as it was fresh Any Ideas i d appreciate fully since now I can t even see what crysis looks like nor can I keep up on my WOW nbsp

A:Custom Computer: Won't power up

It sounds like something is shorting to the case. If your motherboard has on-board video, pull out all the PCI cards including the video card and see if the computer boots. You might want to check the motherboard standoffs once again. ATX motherboards usually have 6 standoffs. Make sure you don't have more than 6 installed, only in places on the motherboard, where there are mounting holes
Relevancy 70.09%

I just build my first gaming pc. But it won't turn on but the power led on the mother board is.
I got all kew parts and even tested the power supply and power button and everything is in proper.
If you could give me help that will be great.

A:My custom pc won't turn on but the power led on th

"I got all kew parts and even tested the power supply and power button and everything is in proper." does not tell us anything.
Specifications on the computer you have built would help and what happens when you start your computer do you get anything on the monitor, do the any of the fans start does it switch on then off.
If your graphics card requires power have you remembered to connect it to the PSU.
Relevancy 70.09%

I am currently building a custom desktop Specifications in My System Specs and I've run into a few problems along the way - When I first put it all together and powered it up the edge of the motherboard literally caught on fire for a second and I immeadiately turned the power off - I returned power won't up. Desktop Custom the motherboard and the psu and got both brand new again - I just tried to reinstall the motherboard and psu and now I get no power at all to the pc - I checked Custom Desktop won't power up. all connectors to make sure they were plugged in tightly and correctly Everything looked fine The V atx power connector and -pin Custom Desktop won't power up. connector were both plugged in correctly Custom Desktop won't power up. - I checked the psu with a paper clip and checked the voltage of each pin that should have been outputting voltage Everything was fine there And the psu powered up and the fans turned as soon as I pressed the switch - Checked for bad heads on the motherboard None - I also went through all of these steps already PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about POST boot no video problems - New-System-Build - Homebuilt-Systems I'm not sure what else to check Anyone know what could possibly be wrong with it

A:Custom Desktop won't power up.

I highly recommend not using that power supply. Their is no such thing as a $35.00 quality prower supply. A GTX-650 requires a quality power supply along with the rest of your hardware.
I would recommend using a Corsair or a Seasonic power supply 650W or more.
Relevancy 70.09%

I am looking for a Gateway 145 watt U-ATX Form Factor power supply.
Does anyone have any ideas on where I might can get one reasonable.
Also does the form factor mean anything ?

A:Need Power Supply Help

Try this:

or do a google with: micro ATX power supply
Form Factor must be ATX, meaning it is one that switches off when you shut down Windows.
The U stands either for Ultra or (Mu)Micro.
Measure your current PSU to get the right size replacement.
Relevancy 70.09%

actually I need 2, each with as many amps on the rail as possible on 1 I just need a 500wat on the other I need a horse like a 700 or 750wat.

Thanks nickc

A:Need a new power supply and would like some help

Hi nickc,
1)how many amps do you need? (or what kinds of machines are they going in?)
2) whats your budget?
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello once again Tech Support Guy gurus this one has me stumped so I hope you all can help I bought my pc three years ago and until four months ago had no problems with it at all Four months ago I turned on the pc one day and heard this sound coming from the back like supply power an electric can opener It whizzed and whirred and it seemed to me like the power supply fan After days of trying to power supply figure out what it was but being too chicken to tear apart the power supply I surmised that I needed a new power supply Out to the store I went and popped power supply in a new Antec that night All was well after that well until three weeks ago The same thing started happening same noise sometimes it was there sometimes it wasn t Sometimes I could start up the pc the noise would be there but it would power supply go away after a few minutes Other times it would buzz and whir as long as the pc was on So I ordered a new power supply again and sent the Antec back to the manufacturer I popped in this new power supply three weeks ago and all was well again Well this morning same thing started happening My first two guesses were that dust or dirt had gotten into the ball bearings of the power supply fan and driven it crazy but I know that s not the case with this new power supply I took the thing out and looked it up and down and can t find one spec of dirt or dust on it anywhere What the heck is going on My pc still works fine it s just that the sound is driving me crazy and I think it will blow up on me if I don t do something about it Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 70.09%

I have a PB 200 watt power supply which seems dead. Does it have a fuse. If it does is it a regular glass type with chrome tips ?

Relevancy 70.09%

Hi everyone,
Last year i built a computer for a friend and gave him a year's guarantee on parts. He has just brought it back with the same problem as the post below "No Power". He turned off at night next morning no power.
I have changed the power supply.
The thing is, i changed the power supply in June this year, as it went bang.
Could it have anything to do with where he keeps the computer. It is in a cupboard which is on an outside wall (remember this is England) which is pretty cold. No heat gets to the cupboard except the heat from the computer when it is running. The last power supply i changed had what looked like the start of rust on the edges, and i was wondering if condesation is the problem. Or does anyone else have any ideas.
Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 70.09%

Ok So I ve built my own PCs for some time now However my power supply is some thing I ve always been a bit iffy on I ve put a lot of money into my Power Supply? PC Which by now what was the Power Supply? high-tech stuff is now ancient and I d love to put a lot more into it but I am trying to be a bit tight on my spending My problem is Power supplies are of course pricey and I d like to upgrade my PC graphics by buying two s and using SLI I am currently running - CORSAIR GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Intel Core Duo E Wolfdale GHz LGA W Dual-Core ASUS P N-D LGA NVIDIA nForce i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard Sony NEC Optiarc X DVD R DVD Burner Black SATA Model MSI NX GT Twin Turbo GeForce GT MB -bit GDDR PCI Express x I also have a gig ATA as well as a gig ATA I am currently running off a nice quality watt I am hoping to buy two GTS cards for SLI and use them in place of the as well as by a rd HD probably being a gig Sata g b Now I honestly don t know what kind of power supply will be needed to run my machine once all the new pieces are in place I am almost positive that my old power supply won t be able to support it Any ideas on what would be a quot Safe zone quot for the PSU and I don t need overkill because I m trying to save some money here Any suggestions will be helpful nbsp

A:Power Supply?

(okay a paste from me)
9800GT which replaced the discountinued 8800GT is what you should look at:

9800GT singe slot:
9800GT Dual slot:

Note: 9800 / 8800 cards generate a lot of heat... You may want to look at a bit cooler running ATI 4850 card... or the slower 4670 card. A dual slot card will help exhaust the heat.

Top level PSUs:
OCZ, FSP, Seasonic, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Zalman, SilverStone, Gigabyte

Good PSUs:
Antec, Enermax, Sparkle, Coolermaster. (some of these are TOP end)

Should Avoid:
Aerocool, Apevia, Apex, Athena, Chieftex, coolmax, Dynapower, e-power, Linkworld, Powmax, raidmax. Many of these are exactly the same thing.

I'd say a good quality 750~850watt PSU should handle that.
Relevancy 70.09%

Hey Everybody I v got a problem going on that I have not come across before I recently put together a gaming system for myself with pretty decent parts The problem is when I try to boot the system after it being shut down for a few hours I get all kinds of errors and it usually takes about hour of screwing Maybe???? Power Supply around to get it to boot Once it boots I can go ahead and play games etc for as long as I like without a problem I think it may be a problem with the power Power Supply Maybe???? supply being overloaded but I would appreciate any advice you can give The specs for the system are Asus A V Deluxe AMD Newcastle I know I should have gotten the Winchester x Samsung PC RAM WD Gig SATA drives mb WD Gig IDE drive mb BFG gt OC Creative Labs Audigy Platinum LG x CDRW BenQ x Dual Layer DVDRW Standard Floppy Raidmax Scorpio Case Antec Truepower PSU Windows XP Pro with SP Power Supply Maybe???? built in NEC Multisysnc F CRT monitor Logitech Z Speakers Logitech MX Mouse and Keyboard x mm x mm Case Fans I ran passes of memtest with no errors I also ran the Western Digital diagnostic tool on extended test twice on all drives without any errors I have run Prime for hours as well The temps for the cpu mb and video card are all well within spec and I have the mm fan blowing directly over the hard drives and they do not get hot to the touch I had the SATA drives set up in Raid but because of this problem I had to reload windows different times because the data was lost and now I am running the drives independently The symptoms are when I boot the system it goes into xp and after a few seconds I get the blue screen of death with different errors each time I restart the system and the bios does not see the SATA drives and the option in the bios to choose the order of the hard drives is not listed I usually have to reboot and go into the bios - times to get the settings correct and to get the system to boot Usually after all of this the system will be fine until I shut it down and restart it later I have tried reseating everything and changing all the cables without any luck I can t really afford to spend any more money on this system and Don t want to buy a new power supply unless I am fairly certain that it will fix this Thanks in Advance and Best Regards nbsp

A:Power Supply Maybe????

You could have a problem with the mobo-battery. This is cheap to replace.
Before you do that, make a note of any settings you have changed yourself in the BIOS.
Careful you don't brake any bits when removing/installing the battery.
Your PSU should be OK. Run the PC without OCing the graphics card (that may also be a problem!) for a while.
Relevancy 70.09%

Well I am about to make a computer that has:

2x 7600GT PCIe SLI
AMD 4400+ x2
2x 250gb HDD 7200 RPM 8MB Cache
2 gig DDR 400 (dual channel 1 gig)
Audigy 2 ZS Platnium
DVD Dual layer burner
CD+RW Drive
Floppy Drive
6x80mm fans

So my question was, what size of power supply do you think I need for this. Most people tell me 500 watt. But I am not sure. Thanks in advance for any help.

Relevancy 70.09%

hi, i have two bfg 9600 gt which require a minimum of 24 amps each i beleive, but i am still new at this so i got a 630 watt modular power supply, but i am not sure how to ready the diagram of wattage, i know newbish. For the pci express cables are they the +12v1 anv +12v2 or the +5v? I need to know so i might have to return my power supply

Relevancy 70.09%

PC went through a recent storm, was plugged into a surge protector, but they didn't unplug anything. Now it get power for a split second or if you mess with the power cord it flickers and makes a couple crackle noises. I want to just put in a new power supply, how do I know if the one I buy will work, does it matter or most power supplies will work on any system. plan is to get a 400W minimum.

Relevancy 70.09%

i just switched the power supply in my system (PII) with a new one, and when i turn the system on, the power supply and the drives all start, but the processor shows no signs of life..any help would be appreciated.

Relevancy 70.09%

I believe I have a 250 w power suply, when this Ati AIW 9700 pro requires 300, is there anyway I can hook it up to something outside the computer, will it work with 250w, Ati "recommends 300w". If not, where should i get power supplies and is there a guide to installing them, i do not know how.

I have an HP a230 n
AMD 2800+
120gb HD
ATI Radeon 9200 128mb
512 mb of RAM (2 256mb's)

Looked inside- Here are the Dimensions
For my Power Supply
Depth- Around 5 inches
Height- Around 3 inches
Width- Around 6 in

A:Power Supply

well first of all check if your aiw 9700 pro has a molex power connector,i think the 9700 pros do have that,if they do than this has to be connected separately to a free power cable from your psu.200 w is not optimal even if you werent putting in a 9700 pro,you were bound to run into problems if this was a generic psu.since you have a amd 2800+,a 120 g hdd,512 mb ram and also some optical drive(i am guessing)a 200w would not be sufficient for your setup.get a new psu from a respected psu manufacturer like antec or enermax forton.a good psu is a one time thing-put it in and forget it.if your 200 w is a generic brand you really ought to consider an upgrade to atleat a 300w+ psu higher the better(if you ever want to upgrade or put more peripheral in).
Relevancy 70.09%

I recently have been alerted to noises in my computer no on the list at first the noises the HD were supply out? Power on way the making had me a little worried a Power supply on the way out? slight whirring whenever i say view photos or scroll so i believe thats on the way out no big deal really but more recently i booted up the computer and something is making a terrible noise rattling sort of Hard to explain all i know is its not good i have Power supply on the way out? the side off my case so noises are louder than most computers but this has never happened before only today s boot and the day before the sound seems to subside Power supply on the way out? after a few minutes to a light sound but not the norm Im not sure its the Power supply but nothing else would make that noise would it the CPU fan seems fine and everything is well besides the HD I just need to know if it is the PSU cause i don t want things going quot boom quot Im on a VERY tight budget and only want to buy a PSU if it is for sure Nothing else seems to be wrong with the computer it runs fine there are no power cut outs just a very loud start up nbsp

A:Power supply on the way out?

Use something like a straw, coffee stirrer, etc to hold the fan stopped and pw ON. See which one is making the noise.
Relevancy 70.09%

I decided to make a new thread since I feel the problem is a different one now. (Here's the old one for more details: Anyway, I'm getting no picture to show up on monitor. I've tested memory, video card, CPU, and I've taken out all drives, and other PCI/ISA cards. I was told possibly a power supply problem...what do you guys think. If not, could it be the motherboard? How could I go about replacing or testing power supply? Any suggestions?

Relevancy 70.09%

hi, I have a hp elite 8200 sff and I am wondering what wattage the power supply is,

A:What power supply do I have

HP Compaq 8200 Elite Small Form Factor PC: here are the specifications on a standard one from HP:

However, If you want to make sure and you know what you are doing: here are the directions on how to get the information you are looking for:
Relevancy 70.09%

My power supply just went bad on me. When I plug it in, nothing happens at all. I was wondering, could I take the plug off my existing power supply, ATX form factor, and put in on an AT power supply since I have an extra one. Would the voltages be the same?

Which plug are you referring to?
If it's the one going from power supply to wall outlet, then yes, they are interchangable.

[This message has been edited by ETS (edited 07-20-2000).]
Relevancy 70.09%

Just wondering how to check what power supply I have. Is there a way to do it without actually opening the case?? I don't think cpu-z gives this info.

Relevancy 70.09%

Recently I went to turn my comp on and had a no signal to the monitor after Supply Power bad? trying again and again to get it to recognize it never had an issue before I decided maybe the mobo was bad Biostar socket AMD onboard vid card nothing real Power Supply bad? special So I tracked down a new socket with a sempron chip replaced the chip throw in a vid card and hooked everything up it all worked just fine save the face the USB ports and the Ethernet port weren t working Power Supply bad? light would flash on the Ethernet port and then flash off A normal keyboard worked but never the USB connections so while trying to figure that out I once again started to get the no signal to the monitor issue still get it after unplugging the vid card and trying to use the onboard vid card nothing I ve tried monitor cables and different monitors I know they all work the PSU is a W I had a W but the fan stopped Is there any way to tell for sure if its the PSU Just trying to tell for sure before I go buy one Thank you for any help nbsp
Relevancy 70.09%

my pc will not turn on unless the voltage is at 230 instead of 115, before i go and leave it on i want to know if it will damage my hardware in any way? it used to run just fine on 115, then after awhile it would only work if i unplugged most of the stuff, now it doesnt even turn on if just the harddrive is plugged in, thats when i tried the voltage switch, it turned on and stayed on just fine, i just dont want any damage to take place. help would be greatly appreciated

A:power supply help!!!

Where do you live?

If your real mains voltage is 115V then you should get your PSU fixed/replaced. I wouldn't risk running it at 220 very long.

If your mains voltage is 220V then 220 setting is the way it is supposed to work. If it wokred at 115 then you were very lucky not to burn down you PSU or motherboard.
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello all , new here. My question is this - my Gateway desktop computer won't come on anymore. When you push the power button, the light comes on, but I don't hear the fan or the processor or anything and the monitor doesn't come on or anything. I haven't heard any beeps or anything either. I am crossing my fingers that it's just the power supply any help would be appreciated. TIA.

A:Bad power supply?

Power supply would be my first suggestion.
Replacing a psu is not a difficult job, the only problem might be the psu being propriety to Gateway.
Relevancy 70.09%

I have a ATX 425-12Volt power supply that need replaced it has a 20pin connection, and a 4 pin, what is puzzling me is that there is also a 6pin going to the main board it has 3 black 2 orange & a red the pins are in one row.

Relevancy 70.09%

about months ago help Power supply i was gonna buy Power supply help a power supply for my computer i never ended up buying it this is what i was told Route Route is offline TechSpot Evangelist Location The Socialist Republic of New Jersey Member since Sep posts Okay that is exactly what we needed to know The minimum power on the v rail for a gt is A Your psu only supplies A the amount of amperage on the v rail is critical If yours doesn t have enough it can lead to problems There are other things that could cause your problems so you can t just say it s probably related to your PSU unless you re ruled out the other causes Nevertheless your current psu isn t supplying what your gt needs Also I am very suspect of your psu Just because it says it puts out watts doesn t mean it actually does Do you have budget to get another psu If so we ll be more than glad to help you find a good reliable upgrade that will fit your needs Click to expand what i want to know is if there is v rails or whatever like in this one do they add up to meet the requirements http cgi ebay com Antec-BP -Plu QcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA UPS hash item efb im gonna use ebay or newegg and want to pay around nbsp

A:Power supply help

That PSU should work fine for the 9600GT.
Relevancy 70.09%

I just signed up after googling a problem I was having and I found a forum post here that recommended Supply? Bad Power a way to check what Bad Power Supply? that problem might be I Bad Power Supply? download installed and ran Speedfan to check the voltages of my power supply See the Bad Power Supply? attached image for the screenshot I am suspecting that my and - V and my and - V should be telling me that my power supply is bad I am also getting random computer shut downs just completely turns off while doing anything on the computer from browsing the internet to playing a game It happens even when I am not using the computer and it occurs every few hours The power supply in question is a KINGWIN Mach ABT- MA S W Think my power supply is bad Since I cant link a picture the readings are V V - V - V V V - V - V V V I posted a pic at modena dot squarespace dot com storage PSU dot jpeg nbsp

A:Bad Power Supply?

If your PSU voltages are outside of these values then yes you need to replace it.

Voltage Rail........Tolerance.........Minimum Voltage.......Maximum Voltage
+3.3VDC............ 5%...............+3.135 VDC..............+3.465 VDC
+5VDC............... 5%...............+4.750 VDC..............+5.250 VDC
+5VSB............... 5%...............+4.750 VDC..............+5.250 VDC
-5VDC (if used)... 10%..............-4.500 VDC...............-5.500 VDC
+12VDC............. 5%...............+11.400 VDC.............+12.600 VDC
-12VDC.............. 10%..............-10.800 VDC.............- 13.200 VDC
Relevancy 70.09%

What is the H30-50's power supply? It is not listed in the specs. I plan to buy the $500 model 90B80012US with an i5 and 8GB of ram along with a 2TB harddrive.  I want to know if I can add a GTX 740 4GB without having to modify the power supply. And while I'm asking, what's the motherboard included? Is the 8GB memory 1 stick of 8GB memory, 2 sticks of 4, is it maxed at 8GB or is it expandable to 16GB? I want to know as much about this before I buy it as I can. Computer is below:

Go to Solution.

A:H30-50 Power Supply?

hi DKL2,
Welcome to the Forums.
Looking at the parts, the H30-50 (90B80012US) uses a Thin Form Factor (TFX) PSU and can use one of the following:
FRU#: 36200450 - FSP240-40SBV 240W IPG ES SINGLE PSU (full specs here)FRU#: 36200451 - ACBEL PCB020-EL1G 240W IPG ES SINGLE PSU FRU#: 36200452 - LITEON PS-4241-01VB 240W IPG ES SG PSU
The EVGA GT 740 Superclocked 4 GB has a max TDP of 64W so this should work (combined with the i5-4460 CPU which has a TDP of 84W). Note that the GPU requires a  6-pin PCI-E power connector and it might be tight fit when you insert it inside.
  - Sample image (inside the H30-50)
As for the RAM, this unit uses 1x8GB stick (there are 2 U-DIMM slots, max 16GB).
  - Link to picture
Relevancy 70.09%

hey there i just bought a Nvidia Geforce gt gb PCI-E card and it says that the minimum power it needs is watts i have a watt power supply ive been running a pentium ghz with windows xphome and g of ram a radeon x card and moderate sized hard drives with a intel desktop board D GAv D pgn my monitor is a BENQ fp - NOW i was so irritated when this new card i bought DID NOT WORK nothing seems to work in this friggin comnputer for me i plug the new card in the place of the old card and plug the monitor into the vga input but when the computer turns on the monitor dosn t and the little red light on the computer stays on solid but theres not much noise i end up just turning it off i cant install the drivers for the new Power Supply card because it need to be in my computer fo r it to install them but i cant see cause the monitors not on and ive tried wiping the other drivers from the old card and starting form scratch but that didnt work also SO am i going to have to buy a larger power supply say or watts Or does my promlem lie elsewhere Thanks to any responders nbsp

Did you uninstall the drivers of the old card before removing it? Does plugging in the old card work?
Relevancy 70.09%

I'm need to upgrade my stock 300W power supply on my computer but don't know what important details to look for when buying.

A:How do I look for when buy a Power Supply?

Name brand being Sparkle, Enermax, Thermaltake or Antec is really important.
If yours is an older pc, you probably need 20 pin psu and make sure it has extar 4 pin plug if you use it on your mobo. Other than that you can go here and configure the watts you really need:
Relevancy 70.09%

have a P3 that has gone down. Trying to diagnose the power supply as the fault. Need direction on how to jump the supply to properly test.

Thank you in advance!!

A:CPU power supply??

Welcome to Techspot!
I don't know what you mean by 'jump the PSU' But , you can buy Voltage testers to check output at various terminals. Or just try another PSU in yor current machine to see if that really is the problem.
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi My most recently Power Supply melted internally on me yesterday and I figure apart from the significant lack of cooling in my upper case that the PSU was put under high strain by my current Power Need Supply Help. config Nvidia GX GB AMD Ghz Pin MB Dual Channel bit RAM DDR PC GB IDE HDD RPM I think don t know the exact RPM GB IDE HDD Need Power Supply Help. Unknown RPM K Triton Motherboard with onboard Surround sound which was my primary sound card Extra USBs running from the motherboard DVD RW Drive Intake Exhaust Fan About RPM each My old spec which is significantly worse than this made the PSU get hot and this seems to have completely finished it The old one was only a puny FX and Ghz P Any ideas on a specific PSU or specific power rating My budget around I can look at above but prefer below And I only want places that do UK delivery and will do it at a UK price Thanks -Clint nbsp

Relevancy 70.09%

Relevancy 70.09%

My neighbor brought her laptop over its dead (HP Pavilion g series)I think maybe her charging brick is bad, can I try my charging brick (Asus G75) to see if its takes a charge. The numbers are different on the brick than hers will that make things worse ?

HP---input 100-240V 1.7A
output 18.5V 3.5A 65W

ASUS---- input 100-240V 2.25A
output 19V 9.5A ?W

I don't want to blow it up or fry it she is a nice neighbor and I like to keep it that way

That's not such a good idea. You are taking your chances.
Relevancy 70.09%

are HP power supplies proprietary or can i plug in any ATX power supply without frying the Motherboard? because i know that some of the older dells have power supplies that have the same connectors as ATX power supplies but the wires are arranged differently which causes the motherboard to fry when connected and powered on. i want to upgrade my power supply and i don't know whether i can just go to bestbuy and buy an ATX power supply or do i have to specially order it from HP. Thanks

Relevancy 70.09%

hey, can someone help me chhose a power supply from this site. (in the cases and psu section on the left)

I have about 70 so i want to know the best power supply i can get for that amount of money (may be able to get a little more)

i need it to be able to handle the new X800 graphics card that i am gonna buy soon so i wanted to make sure i got a good PSU (thats why im askin you lot )

Once youv found one could you post the link on here so i can bye it....cheers...

Either one of the Antecs is great. Most of the others were "Generic".
Relevancy 70.09%

for this:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ OEM S939
Spire CPU Cooler S754/939 tot 4800+
Asus A8N-E
Kingston ValueRam 2x512Mb 400 PC3200 CL3
XFX GF 7800GT 256MB Extreme 2dvi vivo PCI-E
WD SATA II 160Gb 8Mb 7200rpm

I need a new power supply. What brands are good?

Is 400W sufficient, or would I better take one of 450W?

Relevancy 70.09%

I have a XP that broke for some reason
so i got a windows vista, im a gamer and i want a new video card like a geforce 9 seres but
they req a min of 450 power supply, i currently have like a 350. But that Xp has a 500 wat
can i transfer the power supplys?

Relevancy 70.09%

Perhaps someone could advise if a Netgear FS605 ethernet switch could be powered from a spare USB port on BT Vision box without causing problems.

A:USB Power supply

The FS605 datasheet says 7.5 VDC @ 1 amp, so no it won't work.