Windows Support Forum

Change display of laptop to external monitor

Q: Change display of laptop to external monitor

My Friend has a HP Pavilion DV2000 Laptop. His display isn't work. Suddenly display gone. But I thought it could be Display problem not a VGA. So, i tried to connect an external monitor and used Shortcut keys to change the display. I pressed fu + F1 or Fu + F2 or Fu + F3 or Fu + F4 up-to F12. But no result.
I couldn't check whether it's a Display or VGA card problem. IS there any other way to check it. in addition to these is there any other combination keys to Change the display to an external monitor. I'm unable to check whether i get login or not. if I can login then i can use Windows Key + P. Then i can select mode. But I'm Unable to anything here. Please help me to find the problem and i have to take it to repairing shop.
Thanks in Advanced

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Change display of laptop to external monitor

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Change display of laptop to external monitor

It should be the Fn + the key that shows a monitor symbol. If it still doesn't display, the motherboard video processor has failed, and not the LCD Panel

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-display-of-laptop-to-external-monitor.168817/
Relevancy 78.69%

This is a real tricky one any help would be greatly appreciated Basically the problem is We have a laptop which like many laptops has an external display connector standard pin D-SUB VGA but also like many laptops looks for an external monitor amp if it can t display monitor external Help no laptop with find one presume via the sense lines disables the external output Modern flat panel displays I have tried work fine but older CRT s do not they come up initially when the computer boots then at a point it the startup when it does the check the external signal shuts off I have to get it working with one of the CRT Help with laptop external monitor no display s Yes I can force it to output with keys function F but it has to be an unattended feature during power cycling In the cable can I short a combination os sense pins to mimic the newer screens so that the external VGA output is always on I have tried shorting pin Sense ID to ground and pins sense ID and simultaneously to ground but still the laptop does not detect Help with laptop external monitor no display the monitor This should be really simple but it isn t I have spent hours and hours researching on the Net to no avail Hope someone can help Regards Lee Gibson nbsp

Relevancy 77.83%

I have a laptop as my main computer and I have it hooked up to an external keyboard mouse and monitor Of Display Monitor... Of External Resolution And Laptop Sometimes I like to unplug everything and just use it like a normal laptop When I use the Fn F key to change to the internal Resolution Of Laptop Display And Of External Monitor... display the resolution is still the same from the other display It is still readable but there is a black space where the screen could expand to I tried to while hooked up to the external display change the resolution of the secondary monitor the internal one but it keeps just copying exactly what is on the first display the external one If I change the resolution on one monitor they both change to that If i click quot Identify quot it shows a number quot quot on both monitors I could just change the resolution every time i switch monitors but then when i plug it into the external one it is a little distorted enough that i could navigate to change the resolution back though Or is there a batch or vbs script that could toggle the resolution between the two The two resolutions are External x Internal x

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/161497/resolution-of-laptop-display-and-of-external-monitor/
Relevancy 76.11%

DV4 2170US Laptop Goes through boot sequence, but screeen never comes on, or even flickers. It can't be the video crd, since an evternal HDMI monitor works just fine. I already tried removing the battery and cord, and draining residual power. The laptop crashed during a Microsoft update on Feb 10, 2012, and I am trying to resurrect it for an online course, since the specs are pretty respectable. Do I need to use my USB Flash Restore drive, reset the system (I backed everything up while connected to the external screen) and see if that fixes it?Is it just a video driver I am missing?Is the cable delivering data to the screen bad?The screen looks like it did when I first bought it, no chips, cracks or scratches, so I doubt it is physically damaged, but... HELP???!!!??

A:DV4 2170US Laptop Boots, Display Black. External Monitor Wor...

Hi @Serendipity6084, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums.  I have check on the HP Pavilion dv42170us Notebook having an issue with the LCD screen. Yes, you are right it is not the graphics card. This could be the inverter cable on the LCD screen. This is easier to replace and the least expensive. Here is a link to your service manual page 4-40 that shows parts and how to. Let me know how this goes. To show appreciation for my efforts kindly click the Thumbs Up below. Thanks. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/DV4-2170US-Laptop-Boots-Display-Black-External-Monitor-Works/td-p/5762016
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello, I've had this problem with my laptop display for about half a year. When the laptop starts, the backlight turns on, but there is no display of Windows. When connected to an external monitor or projector, this displays the image with no problem. Thus, my question is: if my GPU and backlight are working, what component is causing the problem and how can I fix it? It is worth mentoning that sometimes on start up the display came back to life, and then if no shutdown or battery depletion occured, it would function normally. However, if the battery ran out, the problem came back (since I very often just put the laptop on sleep, this system functioned for a while...) Then, a couple of weeks ago this happened again, and the display hasn't worked since. I am now working with an external monitor.  Looking forward to your answers. Many thanks, Stefania

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Laptop-display-doesn-t-work-external-monitor-works/td-p/5800769
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello all,

I've set my external monitor as primary because the laptop screen is broken, via Q&A: How do I make an external monitor my laptop's primary display?.

However, when waking from Sleep the primary display is switched to the broken laptop screen instead of the external. If I hit Window+P on my external wireless keyboard, I am able to select the external monitor and then it will come on, most of the time.

Is there a way to set the external monitor as the primary after sleeping? Perhaps a third-party program or registry tweak? I've googled around and searched this forum, but have not had much luck. All drivers are up-to-date

I found this forum post which looks promising, but not sure if the solution proposed is applicable to my case.

Thank you.

Laptop: HP Pavillion G6-1d60US
Monitor: Viewsonic VX900

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/389455-set-external-monitor-laptop-s-primary-display-when-sleep-wakening.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi everyone thanks for looking Im running into a particular problem that I cant seem to find the reasons or the settings I watch HBO GO i have a valid subscription on my Windows Home laptop and use an HDMI cable to connect my TV Scenerio If I leave the close the lid power option on hibernate I must leave the laptop open and when I connect the HDMI the TV it becomes my monitor and I view as the monitor and watch anything full screen no problem Scenerio I change the power option on the lid close to quot External when settings change Power change? display options do nothing quot When the HDMI cable is hooked up if the laptop is open it uses the laptop display External display settings change when Power options change? if its closed it displays through the HDMI TV This is perfect and exactly what I want I can watch as the monitor no problem HOWEVER if I choose full screen I get gray borders and the quot Full Screen quot is not full and just centered I can not for the life of me figure out why and Im going crazy Does anyone know why the power option would have an effect on this and what settings I could change Many Thanks in Advance Max nbsp

A:External display settings change when Power options change?

Check to see what resolution your laptop's display is at, what the external TV resolution is when you connect it to your laptop, and MAYBE what resolution the videos you're watching are. This just sounds like a resolution issue. If the TV is at a larger resolution than your laptop's resolution, change the TV's resolution to the size your laptop is at. Then try watching a video to see what happens. Hope this helps.
-Lance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-display-settings-change-when-power-options-change.1043683/
Relevancy 67.94%

I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop running Windows 10. I have just purchased a Dell U2515H monitor which I am waiting for delivery for as we speak. I believe the monitor has quiet a few inputs however I am not 100% sure which lead to get to connect them both and which port I use on the Dell Laptop. Looking on the left hand side of my laptop there is a port with a lightning sign next to it, is that called Thunderbolt? and is that my monitor/display port? and what lead do I need? it looks like some sort of micro socket!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19981508
Relevancy 65.79%

I have an HP laptop and I have been running it with dual monitors I finally decided to upgrade to Windows and after I installed it I noticed that the built in monitor of my laptop looked strange and when I opened the display settings to change the screen resolution and set the external monitor as a separate monitor rather than a mirror I noticed that only one monitor was detected and it was the external one Generic non-pnp monitor on standard my it Reading were - In monitor. external Built as if Laptop Issues Monitor Monitor VGA graphics adapter and the built in monitor does NOT show up at all I ve tried the detection button in hopes that the computer would read the built in monitor and I could fix the problem This did not help I tried unplugging replugging the external monitor to no avail I tried restarting without the external monitor plugged in and it STILL reads the built in monitor as if it is the external one Is there anyway to fix this I have not tried re-installing the OS not yet anyways Any suggestions nbsp

A:Monitor Issues - Laptop Reading Built In Monitor as if it were my external monitor.

Only thing I can think of is to disconnnect the external monitor, uninstall any monitors listed and then reboot and hope the computer installs the correct drivers for the laptop monitor.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-issues-laptop-reading-built-in-monitor-as-if-it-were-my-external-monitor.899772/
Relevancy 64.5%

This happens as soon as the VGA adapter is plugged in. Unplugging it does not turn the laptop screen back on. Toggling with the function keys does nothing. Since I cannot see anything I cannot try to adjust/correct display settings (or do anything for that matter, other than turn the laptop off by holding power key down).

The second display works (tested with a different laptop).

History: The external display worked fine with this laptop. We had a power failure yesterday which turned it off. The screen toggled to the laptop successfully (or I did, with the function keys--I don't remember) and I continued working. When power returned I started running into this issue. I reinstalled the display drivers from the original manufacturer disc but the problem persists.

msi A4000, Celeron dual Core T3100, Windows 7 Ultimate x64
NVIDIA? MCP79MVL, GeForce? 8200M G, Shared
External display: Acer LCD, AL 1916C

A:Laptop black when external display plugged in, #2 display also dark.

To shut down properly hit the Winkey, then the right arrow, then Enter.

This may be as simple as capacitors overcharged. Shut down, unplug, remove battery. Hold power button down for 20 secs.
Do same for monitor.
Then try.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/377871-laptop-black-when-external-display-plugged-2-display-also-dark.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I am using a quot screen for my primary screen and the laptop lid open for a secondary screen The main screens resolution Monitor and Laptop External Issues Dual Using Monitor Monitor is x I can set it to anything I want and Dual Monitor Issues Using Laptop Monitor and External Monitor it s always using the full screen The laptop screen on the other hand will only use the full screen if it s at x resolution max for that screen IBM Thinkpad T With the large quot screen Dual Monitor Issues Using Laptop Monitor and External Monitor I have no trouble reading the screen at high resolutions the screen is huge with the little quot screen though I have to strain to read the screen at x The problem is when I set the laptop screen to anything lower than x it uses less of the screen Preferrably I want it at x Dual Monitor Issues Using Laptop Monitor and External Monitor or x I dont know which I want yet as I can t see the freaking screen at that resolution At x for instance the useable screen is just a box in the middle so the quot x quot is still barely readable for me cause it s shrunk from full screen plus it s just annoying only using a portion of the screen I have played with the ATI Control Center the Thinkpad display settings and windows display settings and just cannot get this thing to go full screen at lower resolutions when docked and using the external monitor Anyway to resolve this nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-monitor-issues-using-laptop-monitor-and-external-monitor.694900/
Relevancy 64.07%

My ThinkPad T running -bit Windows Professional Edition Display Laptop Messed Display up LCD External Dual - worked great on and off a mini docking station with external monitors The dual-display setup allowed me to have Dual External Display - Messed up Laptop LCD Display more desktop space when needed I can take the laptop off the docking station Dual External Display - Messed up Laptop LCD Display following undocking steps and use it anywhere This convenience no longer holds after upgrading to Windows With the T in the docking station LCD lid closed I can use the dual-display setup as in Windows However after shut-down and remove the T off the docking station and the T laptop becomes unusable because its LCD display doesn't show anything after boot While booting the laptop's display shows the ThinkPad boot logo and then some DOS-mode boot messages and then the windows logo and its dotted spinning wheel after the initial boot the display went blank and the Windows desktop doesn't come up The only way to make the T laptop usable on its own is to go through a quot preparation procedure quot and here is how the procedure goes While the T is on the docking station in the dual-display setup with the external monitors open the T 's lid and set its display as the main display and then select to disconnect the other external displays in the Settings - gt System - gt Display page then in the T 's LCD display select the shut down Once the T is properly powered off remove it from the docking station and the T can work on its own as a laptop supposed to be What a hassle to go through It is hard to believe that something worked well in Windows would end up in Windows being messed up so terribly Also the T 's LCD display brightness control no longer works after using the external dual-display setup on the docking station - the brightness is stuck at I am impressed by Windows 's improvements over Windows However taking the T mobile is a necessity in my life So I hope experts on this forum pointing me to a solution so I can truly enjoy Windows both at home and on move Or else I have to roll back to Windows

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/50085-dual-external-display-messed-up-laptop-lcd-display.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hey guys i got a new tv recently external display will monitor not and i wanted to use it as an external monitor for my laptop i have a pretty new Dell Inspiron N which i assume would have the necessary drivers the weird thing is that my laptop will sense the tv as an external monitor i can choose to extend duplicate etc by the tv simply says quot no signal quot ive fiddles with both my graphics card menu and windows menu tot ry and get the darn thing to work any ideas Computer Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - M CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics Family - Mb Hard Drives C Total - external monitor will not display MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc W Antivirus Webroot AntiVirus with Spy Sweeper Disabled TV TCL quot LCD HDTV L FHDF TA it has both HDMI and basic computer external monitor will not display monitor plugins but the HDMI is completely unresponsive nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi guys, I have a hp pavilion dv6 laptop with a broken screen that i have been running through my television via a hdmi cable and never had a problem. Today i updated to windows 10, since the update and the restart, my television has not been registering that my laptop is plugged in. I have tried fn + f4 and it wont change over. I can hear that my computer is working, but cant see what it is doing,, please help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-change-screen-to-external-monitor.1158060/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have a 6 year old XP system and have just updated the ram to 1 gb. When I reboot the system, the display is at the lowest resolution and the color is at the lowest setting..I change it and it just reverts to the same old fuzzy screen..I kept fooling with it and rebooting yeasterday and it finally took the change..But today it went back again..I did the troubleshoot and checked drivers, but nothing showed bad. I only have dial-up and it is down right now..Anyone ever heard of this problem?..Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-display-wont-change-from-low-res-and-low-color.691249/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi everyone I m having two problems which I haven t been able to resolve via searching Before stating the problem I will state my specs and the elaborate on the series of events that led up to it because it really does not make any sense to monitor Solved: display no after change me I have been running on a self built XP computer for the previous year and have had no problems relating to display I m running a AMD dual core GT PCI-E video card with two hard drives and a ViewSonic quot widescreen LCD which has been used via DVI I Solved: no display after monitor change was planning on getting a TV tuner to install but was given a supposedly working few year old Radeon series All-in-Wonder PCI card from a friend I struggled to find much information online to see if it can be used as just a tuner for getting input but without finding much information I figured installing it couldn t mess anything up So I turned everything off unplugged it all put in the card into a free PCI slot plugged everything back in monitor into my primary video card and powered back up Problem No monitor display at all on my computer yellow lamp In response I shut it all down and removed the new card and double checked all the cables in an attempt to just get it back to how it was No display with the card removed and my computer s physical state in what appears to be an identical physical state Without being able to get into BIOS not that I d know what to change I can t really do much on it Although I thought it was some wierd settings thing that might have changed when the new card was detected even though to my understanding it doesn t do that until Windows fully loads I tried the monitor on my brother s computer We have nearly identical computers with s except he runs a Viewsonic quot CRT with an adapter to DVI My monitor wouldn t get any display on his computer although it did make the quot Found New Hardware quot alert sound It gets worse Problem Upon plugging my brother s original monitor back into his computer he gets display until the Windows boot screen and aftward when it s actually loading Windows the lamp turns yellow and loses display His monitor won t maintain a display past the boot screen and mine won t get any signal So my monitor is not popular in the house at the moment and we have two defunct computers without a clue in the world of what to do Evan nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Hello Sevenforums,

I run Windows 7 64 Bit on my HP laptop and essentially have 2 "modes." The first is just straight laptop use with nothing plugged in, and the other is a "docked mode," where I plug a monitor, external keyboard and mouse, and speakers into the laptop and use it essentially as a desktop. To save processing power, I display ONLY on the external monitor.

So my issue is that every time I plug in the monitor, I get a duplicated display (same thing displayed on both the laptop screen and the monitor). Is there a way for Windows to change my display settings when it detects a monitor has been plugged in? This isn't a huge problem, and only takes about 15 seconds to fix, but if there is a solution I sure would like to know.

Thanks in advance,
Lanebobane

A:External Monitor Display Question

Hello Lanebobane, welcome to SF!

When you connect a second screen you have the option of "cloning" your primary screen to it or "extending your desktop". Or, sometimes, neither. It seems you've set it to clone. Since you did not post any lt details it is difficult to give examples...i wonder what it is that you do to fix it now, as i would expect that to be the sam screen where you can set this right...

Also, dending on mobo, on board graphics, if your system is new enough to run W7, I would be very surprised if running lt screen AND external, caused a noticeable processing power diff?

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/177052-external-monitor-display-question.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Most solutions involve "reflow of video card". I am a computer tech in my town and have never heard of this process. Please explain.

A:No Video either on display or external monitor

Don't do it. A reflow is a very crude fix that will not last even if it seems to work temporarily, It involves blowing heat directly onto the video chip to melt the solder and reestablish lost connections. Real tech shops do a "reball" which properly applies the video chip back to the motherboard. We don't really hear about "reflows" any more. That was about a specific model series almost 10 years ago and I am not aware of your model having similar issues. If the video is dead, then your best bet is a new motherboard. You can also find shops that have a presence on eBay that have professional equipment needed to rework a motherboard at the chip level and their services are about $60-100 to rebuild your motherboard. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/No-Video-either-on-display-or-external-monitor/td-p/5798066
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a dell laptop that has x resolution However i connect it to an external monitor that has x resolution Basically almost everything i do Connected Screen Issue Monitor Monitor Resolution Laptop To External is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen Laptop Monitor Screen Connected To External Monitor Resolution Issue Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a window or so to the other screen like youtube etc to the laptop screen which is the secondary monitor My issue at the moment is everything is way too big on the laptop screen I want to have x resolution but its way too big I googled what is my resolution on it and it shows x Can someone tell me how to change this to x I googled what is my resolution on the external monitor and it does show x which is correct My external monitor which is my main monitor is fine at the moment with the x Its windows but im assuming this should be very similar to windows to fix this issue

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/401454-laptop-monitor-screen-connected-external-monitor-resolution-issue.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a dell laptop Connected Monitor Screen Resolution Monitor Laptop Issue External To that has x resolution However i connect it to an external monitor Laptop Monitor Screen Connected To External Monitor Resolution Issue that has x resolution Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a window or so to the other screen like youtube etc to the laptop screen which is the secondary monitor My issue at the moment is everything is way too big on the laptop screen I want to have x resolution but its way too big I googled what is my resolution on it and it shows x Can someone tell me how to change this to x I googled what is my resolution on the external monitor and it does show x which is correct My external monitor which is my main monitor is fine at the moment with the x Its windows but im assuming this should be very similar to windows to fix this issue

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/401454-laptop-monitor-screen-connected-external-monitor-resolution-issue.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a lg w2243s, not the PF model, and it does not have a driver for Win7, despite that it works fine on my old laptop, which also has Win7 installed, I can use the maximum resolution, no problem.

On my newer laptop, ASUS with both integrated (intel hd graphics 3000) and dedicated (nvidia 520m) it only allows me two resoltions 800x600 and 1024x768, despite the optimal one being 1920x1080.
I have the latest drivers installed for graphic cards.
Please help.Thanks.

A:Cannot change resolution to optimal on external monitor

Try downloading the monitor driver: LG W2443T-PF Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG U.A.E Don't mind the model.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/325061-cannot-change-resolution-optimal-external-monitor.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Windows laptop I connect it to an external monitor and use hdmi Rearranged Desktop Icons To From Monitor Laptop Monitor External cable My external monitor Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor is my main monitor I use the laptop monitor as the secondary monitor I extend the display My desktop icons are always on my external monitor desktop I had moved the hdmi cable connected to my laptop i believe which caused all my icons Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor from my external monitor to go on the laptop monitor Also there is Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor even spacing on all of the icons Has anyone had this happened I then clicked sort and then it rearranged so there is no spacing etc However i then noticed hey why are my icons on my laptop monitor and not my external monitor Does anyone know why this happened When i open chrome and other programs it does open up on my external monitor though which is my primary monitor I believe i can just drag each of the icons on my desktop on my laptop screen to my external monitor So just do this and that fixes the issue right Or is there a way to have all the icons just move to the external monitor The reason i ask this is in case the icons just suddenly move to the laptop screen again

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/402175-desktop-icons-rearranged-laptop-monitor-external-monitor.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Windows laptop I connect it to an external monitor and use hdmi cable My external monitor is my main monitor I use the laptop monitor as the secondary monitor I extend the display My desktop icons are always on my external monitor desktop I had moved the hdmi cable connected to my laptop i believe which caused all my icons from my external monitor to go on the From Icons Monitor Desktop External Rearranged Monitor To Laptop laptop monitor Also there is even spacing on all of the icons Has anyone had this happened I then clicked sort and then it rearranged so there is no spacing etc However i then noticed hey why are my icons on my laptop monitor and not my external monitor Does anyone know why this happened When i open chrome and other programs it does open up on my external monitor though which is my primary monitor I believe i can just drag each of the Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor icons on my desktop on my laptop screen to my external monitor So just do this and that fixes the issue right Or is Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor there a way to have all the icons just move to the external monitor The reason i ask this is in case the icons just suddenly move to the laptop screen again

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/402176-desktop-icons-rearranged-laptop-monitor-external-monitor.html
Relevancy 62.35%

My old dell laptop L502x is a bit quirky and caused me to buy a desktop, however, i think it is still saveable. when i have it display to an external monitor via hdmi, it works 100% with no problems. however, when i use the monitor that is physically attached to the laptop, i will get a " A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor" BSOD. from what i've gathered over numerous crashes, i believe its a problem with the integrated graphics in the processor, since they are not used when outputting via hdmi. i could be wrong tho, any help is greatly appreciated.

A:Dell Laptop external monitor = OK, attached monitor = BSOD

Before posting a BSOD thread, please read the instructions here: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/337137-dell-laptop-external-monitor-ok-attached-monitor-bsod.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Windows laptop I connect it to an external monitor and use hdmi cable My external monitor is my main monitor I use the laptop monitor as the secondary monitor I extend the display My desktop icons are always on my external monitor desktop I had moved the hdmi cable connected to my laptop i believe which caused all my icons from my external monitor to go on the laptop monitor Also there is even spacing on all of the icons Has anyone had this happened I then clicked sort Monitor External From To Icons Rearranged Desktop Laptop Monitor and then it rearranged so there is no spacing etc However i then noticed hey why are my icons on my laptop monitor and not my external monitor Does Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor anyone know why this happened When i open Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor chrome and other programs it does open up on my external monitor though which is my primary monitor I believe i Desktop Icons Rearranged To Laptop Monitor From External Monitor can just drag each of the icons on my desktop on my laptop screen to my external monitor So just do this and that fixes the issue right Or is there a way to have all the icons just move to the external monitor The reason i ask this is in case the icons just suddenly move to the laptop screen again

http://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/68766-desktop-icons-rearranged-laptop-monitor-external-monitor.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a window or so to the other screen like youtube etc to the laptop screen.
My issue at the moment is everything is way too big on the laptop screen. I want to have 1920x1080 resolution but its way too big. I googled what is my resolution on it and it shows 1536 x 864. Can someone tell me how to change this to 1920x1080?
My external monitor which is my main monitor is fine at the moment with the 1920x1200.

http://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/66365-external-monitor-laptop-monitor-screen-resolution-issue.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I had to reimage my sons computer because of a virus. After reinstalling windows xp the monitor was set to default setting. The setting is so large you can't scroll to the buttons needed to reset the display to a smaller setting. The question is .... How can I reset the display to a smaller setting with out going through the gui in windows?

Thanks Brent

A:Monitor display properties reset and can't change them

Hi Brent and welcome to TSF !

You'll need to reinstall your video drivers before you'll be able to change the resolution.

Else you can use tab to move from an option to the other, the arrow keys to move the resolution cursor, and enter to validate (when you're on ok, or apply). Do it on another computer at the same time so you can guess where you are if you really can't see but a tiny bit of the window.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/monitor-display-properties-reset-and-cant-change-them-177978.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Okay guys i have a puzzling one for you I'm running my trusty Emachines E with Windows RP I was playing Minecraft on an external monitor a TV and I get a blue screen no biggie I've dealt with these before I monitor Screen/External display fails to anything do a hard reset and turn my computer back on and I don't get an image on my laptop screen I take a flashlight to my screen I've had back light issues before thought it might happen again and nothing no image or anything I decided to take it apart and use a voltage tester on the inverter to see if it's even sending Screen/External monitor fails to display anything power to it and I don't get a reading anywhere Furthermore no external monitor hookup will display an image either This must be a software error though I don't get a boot splash either This one is beyond me someone on another forum suggested clearing the cmos I only have a battery in there on my motherboard but it is soldered to the board itself kinda hard to clear I leave on vacation tonight and I need my laptop so any help would be greatly appreciated Eve

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/7043-screen-external-monitor-fails-display-anything.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I was wondering if this model is capable of displaying UHD/4k on the external monitor.To my knowledge this computer has Intel HD graphics 4000 but I don't know if it can handle UHD.Furthermore, I would like to ask what version the display port is since ver 1.2 is required to view UHD at 60hz.Let me know if there are any other things to consider to solve this problem.Thanks

A:x230t specs for UHD/4k display on external monitor

you can't view the UHD at 60 hz, only at 30 hz. https://www.thinkscopes.com/2014/08/10/thinkpad-compatibility-with-4k-lcd-thinkvision-pro2840m/This is an old list that i generated in regards to the Intel HD 3000 and 4000 compatibility with the UHD resolution.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Tablet-and/x230t-specs-for-UHD-4k-display-on-external-monitor/td-p/2239992
Relevancy 62.35%

hi Im having a problem when i connect my laptop display and flicker disconnection monitor external with external display My laptop is HP tx quot display with windows vista sp and my external display is an LCD tv of Onida Xaria quot When i connect external monitor display flicker and disconnection my laptop to the LCD tv the connection is ok display comes properly resolution is also good but after some time of using it either watching videos or even normal browsing the display flickers and then gets diconnected with the external monitor display flicker and disconnection disconnection sound or tone and automatically gets connected again sometimes after auto re-connection the resolution also gets changed this is really annoying Iv external monitor display flicker and disconnection used the help section they asked me to increase the flicker rate to atleast but my laptop has a max freq of hz only iv also applied max resolution to the screen but the same thing always happens again then i also connected the same lcd tv to my another laptop hp dv quot vista sp and the same problem never comes even the flicker rate of that laptop is max hz both have same resolutions also iv tried all that i cud advise please

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-monitor-display-flicker-and-disconnection-419201.html
Relevancy 62.35%

One day I was using the laptop surfing the net normally, everything was fine and suddenly the display gone wrong...(pic below). I tried using an external monitor and still the same, so I am quite sure that my monitor is fine and it's probably a display card problem?
I tried to update my display card driver and no luck, so I decided to use the recovery CD to restore the system, and no luck again.

Here is a screenshot after the system restore...is there a way to repair this without taking it to a service centre??
thanks
Link: [http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/ctb205/mon.jpg]

A:Tecra S1 - Display issue, even on external monitor

Hi borist,

It?s really great that you could post a picture of your problem. Thank you!
Furthermore you tried already a lot of like recovery installation and an external monitor.

Unfortunately it seems to be a hardware malfunction of graphic card. :(

So that means you have to exchange the mainboard because the graphic card is fixed on it. Mainboard is pretty expensive part and Tecra S1 is old notebook so maybe you can get a second hand mainboard or notebook on eBay and exchange it yourself.

Good luck! :)

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?56480-Tecra-S1-Display-issue-even-on-external-monitor
Relevancy 62.35%

I routinely use a second monitor but these last few weeks either the laptop doesn't recognize the 2nd monitor or else it does breifly and then the monitor blanks and goes into low power/power saving mode.  Same issue with two different monitors.  There is no problem with the laptop's built-in display. After researching, I suspect it is a by-product of the recent Windows 10 update.  Mixed advice on solutions.  I tried updating all my drivers from Windows Device Manager.Several posts recommended going to manufacturer (intel) and downloading drivers. Its automatic utility did not detect a current driver, but under older versions there was one from about a year ago. (I didn't try to install.)I've changed power settings so have monitor "always on". No difference. What else can I try? This is really frustrating.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/External-monitor-will-not-display-or-goes-into-sleep-mode/td-p/5816771
Relevancy 62.35%

Well, running w7 ultimate on a Dell xps m1330 laptop. Everything looks good, but at work I am connected to a matrox triple-head-to-go device which is connected to (3) 22' monitors (3840x1280 resolution). Now when I connected it, ran the nvidia app, it found it and worked great.

Problem is I get home, no external connected, so running off the laptop with the basic resolution, I am trying to start apps (firefox, stickies, etc.) and I guess they were in other spots at work as I don't see them. I forced a close on FF, then re-started, rt clicking and maximizing which worked, but then other apps like stickies don't have that option. An alt-tab shows it running in the lower right (see screenshot), but there is absolutely no way of getting to the app! I did close the app completely and restarted, but it does restart in a location not on the screen.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

A:External monitor display issues when not connected

Right click desktop.
Screen resolution.
Select appropriate option.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/34990-external-monitor-display-issues-when-not-connected.html
Relevancy 61.92%

When you connect an external monitor via the connector VGA I can not choose a native resolution of x for an external external change the ... monitor witch through Problem ?onnected monitor using the standard HP driver nbsp I appealed for help to Problem witch change ?onnected external monitor through the ... support HP case number Technical Support Officer was unable to help me it has no jurisdiction in this matter After telling me that this resolution is not supported by the Problem witch change ?onnected external monitor through the ... nbsp integrated video cardsaying that the hardware graphics card does not support this resolution but it's not really the problem lies in the fact that this resolution is not supported by the standard HP drivers If you want to solve a similar problem just download the official driver for the Intel HD Graphics video card with nbsp intel com site and reinstall the driver for your graphics card to display additional properties will be more standard resolutions It is unfortunate that technical support could not help me in this matter I hope the level of competence and hung on the next call nbsp p s sry for me english

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Problem-witch-change-%D1%81onnected-external-monitor-through-the/td-p/5704969
Relevancy 61.92%

By Mistake On changing graphic adaptor in Bios settings I changed video adaptor to internal and my monitor is now blank . How can I solve it??
Plz help me

A:How to change video adaptor to External when monitor s blank

my windows is windows7 Ultimate 32 bit

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/350844-how-change-video-adaptor-external-when-monitor-s-blank.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Gentlepeople Good Day Is it possible to connect a external monitor with Tecra S - L and use both display at the same time My Laptop details http www toshiba nl innovation jsp U amp ERROR tab S5-12L monitor dual external - Tecra as usage display of OS Win bit I had installed value added package from toshiba but still i cannot able to connect and use laptop display and the nd monitor Tecra S5-12L - usage of external monitor as dual display at the same time i e my PC is not detecting the monitors at the same time If i connect the external monitor and restart the PC then my PC Tecra S5-12L - usage of external monitor as dual display takes the external monitor as a main display and the laptop screen is not detected any more If i disconnect the external monitor and restart Tecra S5-12L - usage of external monitor as dual display the PC then the PC monitor acts as a primary monitor and after the booting up in connecting the external monitor the PC is not detecting any more Before i used to use to connect it with TV and i can get the TV and the PC monitor to work at the same time but at the time i was using Windows XP Now connecting to TV I cannot able to get the TV and the laptop screen working at the same time Is it true that we cannot able to use the PC monitor and an external monitor at the same time or is there any settings that i should perform to get the dual monitors working Please share your view if its know thanks There is no problem in the cable nor the monitor as i tested it with other PC ASUS Win bit and its working fine Is there any limitation in hardware or its just software issue settings Please support

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?88302-Tecra-S5-12L-usage-of-external-monitor-as-dual-display
Relevancy 61.49%

I have a Emachine Laptop model d620 ,and it has a broken screen . So i have been using a dell external monitor. Due to virus i decided to restore the laptop to it factory settings . After the computer restarted to showed the logo and the windows logo ,but the setup it want show the display on my external monitor. I was wondering if there is anyway i could fix this problem please help.

A:After system restore display on external monitor want show

You need to go into your display settings in Control Panel (if the laptop screen is still usable), and re-set the external monitor as the default monitor again. If the laptop screen is not usable at all I don't see how you can do it any other way.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-system-restore-display-on-external-monitor-want-show.1040538/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi, I have my Acer Monitor (G277HL) linked to my Acer Laptop (VN7-592G-79KR) via HDMI cable. I have no problem with it until recently, the external monitor is only able to display if my acer laptop is being charged. If my laptop is not charging, my external monitor won't be detected by the laptop. I had not make any changes to at the battery power setting. Anyone advise?Thank you.

A:Acer External Monitor unable to display/detected b...

iamjustin wrote:the external monitor is only able to display if my acer laptop is being charged. If my laptop is not charging, my external monitor won't be detected by the laptop. So, right now it's not working charged or not?Which windows OS version is installed?Are you able to try another external monitor or TV on your laptop?Are you able to connect your external monitor to another PC an test if it works? One quick thing you can try, is to uninstall your graphic adapter from Device manager, reboot and let windows re-install the drivers. windows logo key + xDevice managerdisplay adaptersright click your display adapter choose to uninstall and tick to uninstall software too if askedreboot

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-External-Monitor-unable-to-display-detected-by-my-Acer/td-p/428272/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi
I am using Vista for business (32-bit) on a new Dell Latitude E4300 laptop. I want to use a new external monitor (Dell S2209W) with it.

The external monitor is connected and works, but I cannot get it to display at its proper top resolution of 1920 x 1080.

When I check the displays in the laptop's device manager, both the laptop and the external monitor are given as Generic pnp. Attempts to update the drivers meet with the response that they are up-to-date.When I try to change the display from the desktop, the resolution options do not go high enough for the external monitor.

The laptop display works fine; what I need is for the external monitor to work at the high resolution.
Any ideas gratefully received. Thanks

Relevancy 61.49%

I bought an Inspiron 15 3542 a few months ago. I connected it an external Acer 27' monitor via hdmi cable. It didn't  work. However, I could connect the same monitor to my older Acer Laptop via same hdmi cable without any problem.

I installed the latest video driver from dell.com, setup with 60p HZ, and the monitor only worked fine for a few seconds then went black (same as before). However, when I changed the display setting to 60i HZ, the monitor worked but the display was a little shaky/blinking.  Please help.

A:Inspiron 15 3542 can not display correctly on external monitor.

Hi,
You may want to take a look at this article on setting up and troubleshooting multiple monitors in Dell laptops.  While it doesn't sound like you're using the FN+F8 key to set up multiple monitors the basic concepts of how to adjust display settings, how to tell the system to display onto external monitors, etc., are the same. 
Let me know if this helps or not.   It could simply be that the resolution and refresh rates of your monitor are outside the range of what the laptop is currently set up to handle.   Have you tried the on-screen setup utility that comes with most monitors?  Try resetting the monitor to default (factory) settings and see if that helps.
Todd

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19636142
Relevancy 61.49%

On other laptops I've used, I've been able to see my laptop screen while simultaneously projecting to an overhead or external monitor. I can use F5 to toggle between screen, external, or simultaneous. This works great for presentations. With my A70, however, I can only toggle for screen or external/projector, not both simultaneously.

Any help on solving will be appreciated.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/a70-does-not-allow-simultaneously-display-to-screen-and-external-monitor-projector-392248.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I have a Dell notebook with XP Media Direct. The display goes black soon after boot-up while an external monitor functions. When the notebook lid closed and re-opened, the display comes back temporarily, the external seems to reset, and then the notebook display returns to black. I have hibernate turned off, standby set to never and sleep set to never.

I tested standby and hibernate and they both display that they are either about to switch to standby or hibernate before the display turns off.

I don't think it is a heat issue because it happens even after the notebook has been off for awhile and turned back on. I've updated the video drivers.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Scott

A:Notebook display goes black, but external monitor is functional??

i believe this is a feature, not a problem.

Most laptops will shut off their screen when an external monitor is connected to save power. However, depending on your laptop, there should be a Fn command allowing you to swap display modes (only ext, only laptop, or both)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/notebook-display-goes-black-but-external-monitor-is-functional.824827/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi I'm using Window Vista Home Edition I've been using an labelled headache! is and primary. external monitor as Display My 1, default, external CRT monitor with my laptop for several months without problems To connect to the external monitor all I do is tick the 'extend to this monitor' button then 'apply' I can then move windows to the external monitor and watch movies However since yesterday my laptop does not display images I put Display headache! My external monitor is labelled as default, 1, and primary. on the external monitor and noticed that my desktop icons etc were all on the external monitor Even worse I when I go to the display settings I see that the external monitor is labelled 'default monitor' On the Nvidia control panel it is shown as 'primary monitor' and has the number When I try to set my laptop as primary on the Nvidia control panel it brings Display headache! My external monitor is labelled as default, 1, and primary. up a dialogue box to stop Display headache! My external monitor is labelled as default, 1, and primary. me from changing it To my surprise I now have to tick the 'extend to this monitor' button to view images on my laptop which is a blank desktop with blurred image and colour Also I have to move the mouse to the left of the CRT monitor to get to my laptop screen the complete reverse When I click on 'identify monitors' it shows my CRT as and my laptop as This is crazy I need my laptop to remain as the default monitor number and primary But it now seems the CRT has taken over as my main display When I power off disconnect the CRT and power on the display returns to my laptop But as soon as I connect the CRT to my laptop my laptop display goes blank and the CRT takes over I would really appreciate assistance from a computer guru or from someone who has had a similar problem but has overcome it Many thanks

A:Display headache! My external monitor is labelled as default, 1, and primary.

Well, i do it by first clicking extend on the lappy screen, then click, make this my primary screen. Try that out.

I also use win dows control panel instead of nvidias software.

Welcome to TF

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/292322-display-headache-my-external-monitor-labelled-default-1-primary.html
Relevancy 61.06%

When I connect my Dell XPS laptop with QHD display to an external monitor through the DA USB-C to HDMI connector the external monitors on - monitor XPS 9350 flicker 13 Dell display external QHD Screen flicker constantly laptop is fine-no flickering Sometimes it Screen flicker on external monitor - Dell XPS 13 9350 QHD display works for like an hour then starts to flicker or longer so its not consistent Below are the troubleshooting steps Dell has walked me through including sending me a new DA part to no avail - Dell has sent me a new DA USB C to HDMI part - They have upgraded the Thunderbolt drivers and all other relevant drivers to latest ones as of June - I have tried on different monitors - and tried different HDMI cables Dell doesnt seem to know what to do now THey have refunded my DA part purchase and told me to buy a separate HDMI to USB-C cable to test If that fails it seems they will replace the motherboard They say it could be an issue with the external monitors not being compatible with QHD but this is not documented anywhere they admit and I havent heard anyone else having this problem on the internet and surprised every single person using this setup has QHD external monitors This is an unworkable situation for me as I work in PC labs all day connected to external monitors Any advice nbsp

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19983851
Relevancy 60.63%

The laptop our family shares recently had its monitor broken. It displays half of the screen, but will not stop shaking. I have it hooked up to an external monitor, but I am unable to use it to display the laptop screen without changing the display settings via the laptop. Is there some command I can use to set the external monitor to display the laptop screen? Or do I need to replace the laptop screen?

Relevancy 60.63%

Hi All I have an Laptop ok - Fuzzy Monitor Monitor External external Envision flatscreen monitor that I have been using attached to my laptop for around a year I have the monitor displaying on both laptop and the external Monitor Just recently I had a pc issue which I have rectified and my external monitor since rectifying that issue now displays fuzzy What can I Fuzzy External Monitor - Laptop Monitor ok troubleshoot to find out my issue I ve reviewed the Graphics and Display Properties It is currently sitting at by Color True Color and Refresh HZ The odd thing is that when I am in Display Properties Settings tab the left monitor in top is black this should be my laptop and the right monitor in the pic which should be my external monitor is gr y When I have pressed on the black monitor and press Identify it indicates When I press on the Fuzzy External Monitor - Laptop Monitor ok grey monitor and press identify it says it is not active although I do have an image on my external monitor fuzzy image When I click the arrow on Extend my Windows Desktop this monitor the right monitor then is black and when I press on it and press Identify it says it is as well Is this correct I know this has nothing to do with the fuzziness but still thought I might see if this is an issue or not When I right click on my desktop and go into Graphics Properties - I just get confused as to what this is all about When I go into Display Tab the Monitor is checked I can check on any of the others i e Notebook Intel Dual display clone or Extended Desktop Regardless of what I check or modify the external Monitor is always fuzzy and always displays unless I press the button and turn it off Your assistance would be appreciated Pat nbsp

Relevancy 60.63%

Toshiba a100
http://209.167.114.38/support/TechSupport/productcontents/satellite/PSAA8C-SK800C.htm

Just recently replaceced my screen

I've been given a faulty Toshiba laptop/notebook to look at. The problem is that when I switch on the power button, various lights come on, but there is no picture what-so-ever on the screen. There are no beeps either, so no idea what's causing it. I've tried connecting an external monitor (and yes I've pressed the fn + 5 keys to switch monitors), but that isn't recognising any video signal either.

You can hear the hard drive start to whir, but there is no continued chugging sound like you'd get if the o/s was continuing to load. As there's no picture, I can't tell if the BIOS is giving me any warnings, whcih is why the HDD doesn't sound lke it's still booting.

Any help please...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-display-on-laptop-or-external-display.883015/
Relevancy 60.2%

Have Broke screen and cannot see to switch display to external monitor
have tried just booting with external monitor connected. does not automatically display to external monitor so assume that there is a key sequence for doing this??

handbook is no help? does not go to advance level and no details on how to do this. anyone know the keys??

urgent Need to retreive data fast.

thanx

A:Fujitsu Siemens LIFEBOOK, Key Secquence for booting display to external monitor???

How about the key with the tiny picture of a monitor? (Fn+F10)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fujitsu-siemens-lifebook-key-secquence-for-booting-display-to-external-monitor.42522/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi..

I hope someone can help...

I have a SONY VAIO PCG-GRT170 that is 4 and a half years old....the display has stopped displaying.....

Wehn I plug in an external VGA monitor, I can see everything on the monitor.

I did the Function F5 kek, I did the WIndows Logo and D key to refresh the laptop monito to no avial.

It just automnatically stopped displaying last night. I shut it down, and reboooted and still nothing.

Id the screen on the laptop shot? If so, it is repariable or am I out of luck?

Thank you all for your help.

A:Laptop Display not working on laptop, butg it does work on old monitor

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-display-not-working-on-laptop-butg-it-does-work-on-old-monitor.742900/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi Dell Community,
Please help me to diagnose what is wrong with my new laptop.
My Laptop is Dell Latitude E6440 but every time i connect external monitor to my laptop HDMI port via HDMI to VGA converter, the external monitor always blink randomly every couple of seconds. This HDMI to VGA converter is working fine when i used it to other laptop.
Currently i still don't have chance to try my laptop HDMI port to connect directly to HDMI monitor because i don't have it.
Are there anybody have the same problem with me? thanks for your help.

A:Latitude E6440 display blink when connect to external monitor via hdmi to VGA converter

Hi M. Zemmy Indrapatih,
Thanks for your post.
Sorry you are having difficulties with your laptop and monitor.  If you could send me the name and model cable adapter you are using and the name and model of the monitor,  I might be better able to understand the issue.  Thanks
Regards,Robert

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19630422
Relevancy 59.34%

I was trying to configure my TV as an external display for my laptop, to clone it, but I couldn't get the laptop's VGA driver (Intel(R) GMA Driver for Mobile - "Display Devices") to detect the TV. I used an S-Video/RCA adapter and cable, which is the same I use in my ATI X1550 on my desktop, and it works fine. In the desktop, after I plug it, in the Catalyst Control Center a TV is shown at the "Display Manager" options, enabling me to use it.

Additionaly, the TV goes to a static when plugged to the laptop's S-Video.

Can somebody give me a help as to why my laptop isn't detecting the TV?

Thanks in advance.

A:Using TV as an external display for laptop

It won't "detect" the TV. Generally on laptops, all you need do is to connect the TV and then use one of the display "F" keys to toggle laptop, TV, or both. Nothing needs to be done with the driver.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-tv-as-an-external-display-for-laptop.809767/
Relevancy 59.34%

A few months ago my roommate had a extra LCD computer monitor laying around So I would often plug it into my laptop and have two screens working at once It was that simple plug it in and it came right up on its own I even was able to plug my laptop into his big screen HDTV and play starcraft on it So today I stopped at the store on my way home to pick up a cable to plug into External laptop display my for my small LCD HDTV by External display for my laptop samsung I figured i d plug it into my laptop and use monitors again Of course its not that easy I ve been messing with this thing for hours When I go to PC mode on the TV and have nothing plugged in it says quot No signal detected quot When I plug it into the laptop the TV s screen goes blank It no longer says no signal detected but nothing is happening When I go to my Nvidia options theres a section for dual display configuration Only problem is the only External display for my laptop display it sees is the default laptop screen Theres a option to scan for a second monitor but it yields no results I ve rebooted times and gone through every option and google search I could think of but nothing I dont External display for my laptop think its a bad cable otherwise it would still say No Signal Detected But im sure it something completely simple that I overlooked Any and all advice help will be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 58.91%

Few weeks ago my Asus Eee 1001p display broke when it fell down. I had the display replaced and after that when I switched my computer back on the screen went blue. I checked the forums and found a few stories about BSOD. After that I installed a new windows(7 ultimate, before was windows 7 starter) and put chipset and graphics driver on. The graphics card is intel gma 3150. But the screen still turns blue.
Could anyone suggest sth else also?

A:Laptop BSOD after display change

Can you boot in safe mode?

Also please attach minidumps for analysis with your next post (you can find them in C:\windows\minidump). Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-bsod-after-display-change.153653/
Relevancy 58.91%

I just bought an HP Pavilion dv2315nr laptop with a cracked screen. I need it to automatically and immediately switch over to an external display when I turn it on. The only way I can get the display to switch over to my external LCD monitor is when I hit FN+F4 when Windows Vista has already begun loading. Unfortunately, there's a password on the accounts once I get that far. I don't have the passwords to them. I've tried restarting the system so I can do a system recovery, but once I restart, the display switches back to the cracked LCD. I've tried hitting F11 to do a system recovery once it starts, but I can't get it to switch the display to external when I go into system recovery. I'm stuck with the cracked screen.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-get-my-laptop-to-switch-over-to-external-display.608138/
Relevancy 58.91%

One of our employees has an HP Pavilion G6 laptop. He uses an external display at work but has to keep the screen of the laptop open. If he closes the screen, then the video to the external display is power off. What are the settings to allow the laptop screen to be closed and still be able to get video to an external display? Thanks.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Closing laptop lid and external display

Banhien, In Windows, click start and type into the search field, "Change what closing the lid does". -wes

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Closing-laptop-lid-and-external-display/td-p/1185573
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello,
I have a PC tower which is connected to a external display moniter. I want to use my laptop as the external moniter for pc tower. Is there a way to do that. The laptop has svideo port, vga port, usb port. The pc has Vga , com, ethernet, parallel, usb port.

Cheers,
Bharat

A:Usind Laptop as a external display.

If you have them networked you can use any number of remote desktop programs on the laptop to display the PC tower desktop.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usind-laptop-as-a-external-display.792078/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi, I have an old laptop that I have installed Puppy Linux on, it works fine except that my monitor doesn't work. So I plug in an external one, but its a bad setup because the laptop needs to be open. I was wondering if I could take the monitor off the laptop. Would the computer still work? The model is an old Toshiba 1100.
Thanks
Ned

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/take-off-laptop-monitor-use-external-monitor.1003462/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello I have a Windows -bit laptop and thought that it would be a good idea to try and find a way to connect it to an external display in order to Problems connecting display laptop to external watch movies play games with a bigger image etc I do not own an LCD Digital type display in this house but we do have an old JVC CRD-type analogue television big quot Of course it s not a widescreen it s a So I bought a VGA to RCA Cable and connected the laptop to it that way However there is an obvious problem in that it displays the picture in an almost sepia colour tone and times each spaced next to the other horizontally I have taken a picture should my explanation not do it justice Please could some one explain to me Problems connecting laptop to external display what it is that I would need to do in order to get it to display correctly Oh - to note my Problems connecting laptop to external display laptop was bought in the UK and the TV I am attempting to use is Canadian - would this make any difference Many Thanks Tom nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-connecting-laptop-to-external-display.1012693/
Relevancy 58.05%

Compaq Presario R3000 running Windows XP SP3 and nVIDIA display controller GeForce4 440 Go 64.

The on-board LCD won't light up so I would like to use this as a desktop with an external monitor. I can get the laptop to extend the desktop so that it stretches the desktop across two monitors (the broken laptop LCD and the desktop monitor); but, what I need is for the laptop to duplicate the display on each monitor.

I cannot get it to do that, help!

Relevancy 58.05%

Hey guys so i'm running B on my laptop and I connected my external display to it as well as my external keyboard and mouse at my desk so I could sit there and do the setup etc without moving all of that out of the way my internal to display I no connected now laptop external an I had the laptop lid shut and off to the side while I was doing this Then I shut the laptop down unplugged all the external peripherals and turned it on again It went through the windows boot sequence with I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal the spinning circles then black screen After minutes of frustration I realised that the laptop would show a login prompt only when I plug in the external monitor BEFORE i start it and only if the laptop is I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal closed while it is booting when the lid is closed during boot the Dell logo and spinning circles come up on the external display I further figured out that in Control Panel it only displays the external display its like the computer doesn't even recognise the internal display anymore I dont know why that would be since when I first booted it up and installed drivers I was using the internal display and everything was working fine Any help appreciated as well as pointers on not running into this again

A:I connected an external display to my laptop now no internal

Control Panel screenshot (normally this would have display '1' and '2')

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/5819-i-connected-external-display-my-laptop-now-no-internal.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello,  I have also an issue with a VN7-792G using the HDMI output. When the laptop run on battery mode (so no more AC power), the external screen is no more avalable and i cannot use it any more. The 2nd screen is off and unavailable on the Windows Pannel Settings.that is just bad as i use my laptop for presentation to a public audience...Any fix or workaround ? The laptop is using windows 10 as installed by Acer with no tweaks.

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/No-external-display-when-laptop-on-battery-mode/td-p/435990/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 58.05%

My work laptop, an HP 8560p, crashes after a period of time with an external monitor connected to it. Crashing can occur anywhere from a few minutes after rebooting to a couple hours after rebooting. There is no BSoD when the laptop crashes; the laptop just shuts off and automatically restarts. I have not been able to replicate this issue without an external monitor plugged in. The issue happens with the external monitor plugged in via direct to the laptop or through the dock; VGA or DVI.

So far I've tried:

A clean sweep of the video drivers and testing both the windows display drivers and the ATI drivers.
Sending the laptop to HP, where they completely replaced the motherboard.
Currently running memtest86+ (currently 2 passes through without any issues).

Does anyone have any ideas how to accurately diagnose this problem?

System Specs:

Win 7 Pro 64
Radeon HD 6470M
4 GB DDR3-1333/PC3-10600
i5-2520M
500 GB hdd

A:Laptop crashes with external display, No BSoD

Hello and welcome blokeyh am no expert but the intermittent nature of this sounds it could possibly be a heat problem.

When you get the memtests done and you need at least 7-8 passes - overnight is good run Speccy and see what the temps for the CPU and board come up with.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/275172-laptop-crashes-external-display-no-bsod.html
Relevancy 58.05%

But have no idea how to do it. Does anyone know how I might do this? I'd ideally like to rig it up to an HDMI adapter, but VGA would be fine as well.

A:Want to rig up an old laptop lid as an external monitor.

Kbronski, Sorry to tell you this but the screen on a laptop is not the same as a external monitor.. It requires the electronics from the laptop to drive it. So the answer is no.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/278116-want-rig-up-old-laptop-lid-external-monitor.html
Relevancy 58.05%

i am temporarily using my daughter's old laptop. the screen isnt working so i have plugged an old monitor into it. unfortunately i cant get the settings changed for this monitor such as pixel size. any ideas on how i can ?

Relevancy 58.05%

I have an Inspiron 8200 Dell Laptop and want to hook up an external monitor that I have. I plug the monitor cable into the back of the laptop and through settings can bring up the wallpaper on my laptop and drag items over to the monitor but what I want to do is to only utilize the external monitor. I don't want to have to drag items over across the screens. Is there a way to disable the monitor on the laptop and only use the external monitor?

A:Using external monitor on laptop

Press the function key, it's purple I think and says fn, and then press the F8 key CRT/LCD.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-external-monitor-on-laptop.205617/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi In general I use my laptop in one place so I use external keyboard and monitor Most of my stuff I do only on external monitor but when i work code and stuff I like using both monitors external as main laptop monitor as secondary The problem is with switching between views All I do is open laptop if I wanna use both monitors and close it + monitor Laptop external if I don't need external I have two problems After doing this operation either open or close windows will freeze for like almost seconds before quot adding quot extra monitor - which is really annoying I use my external Laptop + external monitor monitor as default ALWAYS But during this 'switching time' all applications which are set up to 'full screen' are changed to be 'still fullscreen' but smaller like maybe - pixels smaller and Laptop + external monitor this is really annoying To make it 'real fullscreen' again i have to switch it to smaller window - and maximalize again I hope You understand what I'm saying --- I really have problem with fixing at least second problem I would be happy with the way it was in windows XP - so quot laptop-monitor quot is always reachable for applications - even when it's not active I have windows x Nvidia optimus with Nvidia gt m and intel card graphic setting default GPU to Nvidia or intel doesn't affect the problem

A:Laptop + external monitor

You probably have different resolutions between the two monitors, so a maximized window on one, won't be the same size on the other. You may not have this issue if the screens are set at the same resolution. I recall having consistent results back when I had a laptop + external monitor which both had the same (1440x900) native resolution.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/212262-laptop-external-monitor.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I just bought a laptop with a shattered my help laptop! with external I with some need monitor an using screen It s I need some help with using an external monitor with my laptop! an HP Pavilion dv nr Nothing custom or altered It works fine but with the screen broken and me unable to afford a replacement yet it s basically just a desktop for now My problem is that I ve been trying to use it with an LCD monitor I hook it up but the picture doesn t automatically transfer to the LCD like older laptops did HP designed it so that you have to press the FN F keys to switch to an external dispay No matter how many times I try it won t switch to the LCD I ve tried it at various points during the startup and varied the ways I press the key combo It did switch a couple times the first day I had it but Windows Vista has a password on it so I couldn t go farther When I restarted to try and do a system restore it switched back to the laptop s display I need this thing to immediately switch to the LCD when it turns on so I can do a system restore and use it until I get a replacement screen To do a system restore I have to press F immediately while starting up I ve done that waited a few minutes and tried to switch to the LCD It won t do it And I can t think of anything else to try Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-need-some-help-with-using-an-external-monitor-with-my-laptop.607204/
Relevancy 58.05%

Trying to use my laptop with an external HP monitor; I have them connected; using FN & F4 keys I can toggle between displays (monitors) or both.  However, when only external monitor is on (which I want), & I close the laptop lid (as the HP monitor is designed to slide the laptop under it), the laptop shuts off & the external monitor goes dark. How do I keep the laptop on when the lid/screen is closed?  (HP Tech Support wants $49 to tell me.) Thanks.

A:External Monitor with laptop

Hi, Right click the Battery icon in the Taskbar and select Power Options. In the following window, select 'Choose what closing the lid does' in the left hand pane. In the subsequent window, next to the heading 'When I close the lid' set this to 'Do nothing' in the dropdown menu for both 'On battery' and 'Plugged in'. Click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the window to apply this change. Regards, DP-K  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/External-Monitor-with-laptop/td-p/5622979
Relevancy 58.05%

okay i have just bought a 42 inch toshiba hd ready tv and i want to connect my laptop to it via vga. however when i do this the tv doesnt display on the whole screen (just a square part of it). i have tried to change the res settings on the laptop but the tv just says settings out of range or something. please help
thanks
smithy

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-laptop-monitor-456638.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello A recent tragedy has left the display on my laptop inop for monitor laptop External only approximately th of the display in the top left corner remains I have an old Dell flat panel monitor that I wanted to hook up to have at least some functionality while External monitor for laptop I pursued External monitor for laptop a new computer or a replacement monitor feel free to comment on this as well When I hooked up the monitor it worked as I had External monitor for laptop hoped I saw my entire desktop on the external monitor The only issue was the resolution was different making everything appear too large for the screen I adjusted the resolution and next thing I know the only option is to quot stretch monitor across both screens quot This leaves the toolbar and all icons on the screen that does not work All I have been able to do is to drag the toolbar to the external monitor and just restore move any windows that open to that monitor This is very cumbersome and too much for my wife to deal with I have a feeling that adjusting the resolution is what started my trouble Please remember when giving advice that my primary monitor has only about usable space this makes accessing many tools difficult Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions Scott My computer is a Dell Inspiron running xp media center The video card is a radeon and I think it is integrated but I don t know the complete specs Can get them from Dell if needed nbsp

A:External monitor for laptop

If you use the ATI Catalyst Control you should be able to close the display to the external monitor.

Or Press FN and one of the F# keys on the keyboard and it should also enable the secondary monitor as an identical clone to the LCD panel.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-monitor-for-laptop.702883/
Relevancy 58.05%

Gateway ML6732 and Sanyo 42" LCD

I have a VGA to DVI connector and then DVI to HDMI into an LCD 42" tv.

I tried the Fn F4 key and only the screen flashes on the laptop. I tried going through display settings and no luck. There is a "detect external projector" function and nothing is detected. TV is not getting a signal.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

A:External monitor for laptop...

That laptop doesn't have Nvidia drivers, does it?
Have you tried changing the display settings?
Do you still have the manual for your TV?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-monitor-for-laptop-360245.html
Relevancy 58.05%

i have a samsung syncmaster 915N that i am trying to hook up to one of my laptops and am having no luck. i have two hp's one is a pavillion dv4, the other is a dv6000. i tried messing with every setting i could find on both computers and can't get anything but a black screen to show up on the samsung monitor. it came from a desktop that crashed so i know it works. i tried the function key that looks like the monitor as well.
any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

A:External Monitor to Laptop

You do not mention the operating system.Are you wanting to use both monitors at once ore are you experiencing trouble with the built in monitor?When you plug in the external monitor is it detected? Does it show up in Device Manager under monitors?If you are running XP. Go to Control Panel > Display > do not recall the exact path from this point. But under one of the tabs will be a black window. In the window should be two monitors. There will be options to set the primary and secondary monitors as well as an option to "Extend Desktop into this monitor" or similarly worded. Is it checked?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/378234/external-monitor-to-laptop/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello

I have a laptop with two VGA (intel & nvidia). I can connect external monitor with HDMI (clone mode), only with intel (from intel's menu).
is there any way to connect the external monitor with the nvidia card?

A:laptop with two VGA & external monitor

If the nVidia adapter is VGA only you'd have to use an adapter/cable to HDMI.
https://www.google.com/search?site=&....0.I1JZY1Of5H0

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/61150-laptop-two-vga-external-monitor.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Is it possible to use an external monitor as the only monitor via laptop besides setting the external monitor to the secondary monitor and closing the lid of the laptop making it as if the external monitor was the only monitor? I ask this extremely lengthy question because I am trying to run my display at 1360x768 but my laptop monitor is only 1280x768 crippling the display of the external monitor. (edit: this theory is incorrect. I can only blame the laptop driver's inability to display the higher resolution.For some reason it can display 1360x768, but only when panning in 1280x768)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Relevancy 58.05%

Just bought my wife a new Asus laptop, and at times she wants to have it hooked up to her monitor. When I plug it into the VGA port it works fine, but when I close the laptop it goes into sleep mode and she can no longer use it.

Is there a way to set it up so that she can have it hooked up to the monitor and have the laptop closed without it going into sleep mode?

Thanks!

A:Laptop Display on Monitor?

What system does when lid is closed can only be set on Battery power option or plugged in power option.
If you set this option it will be set despite the fact whether external monitor is plugged or not.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/165158-laptop-display-monitor.html
Relevancy 58.05%

My HP XH555 laptop motherboard went down beyond repair. The display is still good....can I use the display for a monitor with another box?

Thankx,
Lamard

A:can I use laptop display as monitor?

With the technology for in-car LCD, I would think there is some manner or even the future chance of adapting it. I would like to hear more on this, however, I hope to still use mine, even though it broke off on one side of my laptop. Consider the option of finding a replacement base on eBay... They are being sold at modest prices
BILL

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-use-laptop-display-as-monitor.12363/
Relevancy 57.62%

i have looked all over my gateway laptop and i cannot change the default monitor i dont want to use the laptop monitor i want to use an external monitor i have plugged in i can only put the external monitor as an extension

and a side note can i close my laptop monitor and keep running like it wont lock the laptop or put it into hibernate if any one can help me it would be much appreciated.

A:change laptop default monitor

Welcome to TSG

I think it's usually Fn and F5 to alternate between laptop screen and external monitor , though I could be wrong ( I dont own a laptop) . It'll almost certainly be Fn and one of the F-keys though .

As for what happens when you physically close the laptop the options are usually in Power Management .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-laptop-default-monitor.741800/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi Forum I have a HP Pavilion dm z laptop The laptop has a HDMI port I am trying to connect it to my Samsung BX display The display has the DVI dual link port only So I bought a HDMI - DVI adapter I have Win x on my laptop When I start the laptop with the external display connected the picture is duplicated on both the laptop and the external display But as soon as Windows starts the picture will only be displayed recognize connected Windows not external to display does laptop a on the laptop 'Starting Windows' being the last picture shown on both displays After some investigation it seems that windows could not detect the external display successfully In the Windows does not recognize external display connected to a laptop 'Screen Resolution' window the external display is shown as 'Display the device on VGA' It is impossible to view the properties of the external display as the option is disabled and the display is called 'Default Monitor' I tried updating the AMD Radeon Catalyst drivers but this did not help Tried to install the external display drivers but these installed as the mobile device display drivers Any ideas to fix this are highly appreciated

A:Windows does not recognize external display connected to a laptop

I guess you've already played with the hotkey on your keyboard that's used to control which monitors are used for display, right?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/237868-windows-does-not-recognize-external-display-connected-laptop.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello I have a HP pavillion Dv nr laptop hooked up through s video to my panasonic plasma as an external display This issue did not happen with same exact set up before I upgraded flash/ on display disconnect & external laptop Screen to Windows Ultimate from Vista ultimate So it has something to do with windows Heres what happens Every time I open a new folder application file or web page the external display flashes I can tell it is disconnecting for a split second because my TV shows the input notice on the screen as if I just switched to that input This also happens randomly every couple minutes or so I looked this up on google and found that the Transient Multimon Manager can cause this and it said if Im using the external display only and not switching back and forth that I should disable TMM which I have done I think it might have something to do with the graphics drivers compatibility with windows When I try to install the recommened driver through windows or Nvidia it gets all the way to the install and then says not for this OS Other than this issue Im loving and since I cant go back to vista without a clean install Im stuck trying to figure out whats causing this and if theres anything I can do about it Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions and God Bless

A:Screen flash/ disconnect on external display & laptop

UPDATE: Ok, this makes no sense at all to me, but it worked. I decided since I was getting graphics driver compatibilty error message when I did windows update to try to roll it back. So I did this, and the screen got worse, but it showed that the driver was the exact same one, same date, same edition. So I did a restore to previous point. Fixed the new screen issue, then went back to the rollback again to see if it would rollback this time. Rebooted, screen looked ok. Checked the driver date and issue, still the same one. But the flashing is GONE. I have no idea what I did. Ive rolled the graphics driver back in the past and it showed an older date and older edition number. But this time it stayed the same but fixed the problem. Anyway I created a new restore point which Ill use if the issue comes back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/53707-screen-flash-disconnect-external-display-laptop.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hay!

Please help me!
My new laptop doesen't recognize my external display AT ALL!
I tried WINDOWS KEY + P, Screen Resolution, ...

Help please! Give me soe tips or maybe videos...

Thanks

A:Laptop doesen't recognize external display AT ALL! (ASUS)

My computer:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: X751LA
BIOS: X751LA.312
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4030U CPU @ 1.90GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3980MB RAM
Page File: 1647MB used, 3740MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0A16&SUBSYS_15AD1043&REV_0B
Display Memory: 1792 MB
Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
Shared Memory: 1760 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: CMN1728
Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.008Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32
Driver File Version: 10.18.0010.3574 (English)
Driver Version: 10.18.10.3574
DDI Version: 11.1
Feature Levels: 11.1,11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.3
Graphics Preemption: DMA
Compute Preemption: Thread
Miracast: Supported
Hybrid Graphics GPU: Integrated
Power P-states: Not Supported
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 5/9/2014 00:16:30, 26190816 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4956-11CF-057E-A735B6C2C735}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x0A16
SubSys ID: 0x15AD1043
Revision ID: 0x000B
Driver Strong Name: oem21.inf:5f63e5341cc65b69:iHSWM_w81:10.18.10.3574ci\ven_8086&dev_0a16&subsys_15ad1043
Rank Of Driver: 00DA0001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_C
I also installed all the drivers that I could

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/361224-laptop-doesent-recognize-external-display-all-asus.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hey Guys Im DIEING HERE Heres the deal I did a full reformatted to my HP laptop dv specs below from a Downgraded XP Home OS bought it originally running Vista to a currently Windows Ultimate I connect my laptop to my toshiba tv via a VGA cord Now my laptop screen for some messed up reason is no longer displaying But when it is connected via VGA i can use the computer just fine using my TV as my only screen The problem is I cannot get the laptop to display After multiple shutdowns and force restarts and after leaving the laptop for a decent period of time i turn it on and it will random again display on my laptop I have concluded from this that it is less likely a hardware problem and fine off troubles external on and although works display Laptop more likely a software one I have the correct latest driver from nvidia Another noteworthy point is that the Toshiba is only screen recgonized when i am in the Laptop display troubles on and off although external works fine screen resolution menu Device Manager Display adapter is the updated version of NVIDIA GeForce M nForce M Monitors in Device Monitor is Generic PnP Monitor ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Machine name CALC-PC Operating System Windows Ultimate -bit Build win gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard System Model HP Pavilion dv Notebook PC BIOS PhoenixBIOS Release Processor AMD Turion tm X Mobile Technology TL- CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found User DPI Setting DPI percent System DPI Setting DPI percent DWM DPI Scaling Disabled DxDiag Version bit Unicode --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name NVIDIA GeForce M nForce M Manufacturer NVIDIA Chip type GeForce M nForce Laptop display troubles on and off although external works fine M DAC type Integrated RAMDAC Device Key Enum PCI VEN DE amp DEV amp SUBSYS CF C amp REV A Display Memory MB Dedicated Memory MB Shared Memory MB Current Mode x bit Hz Monitor Name Generic PnP Monitor Monitor Model TOSHIBA-TV Monitor Id TSB Native Mode x p Hz Output Type HD Driver Name nvd dum dll nvwgf um dll Driver File Version English Driver Version DDI Version Ex Driver Model WDDM Driver Attributes Final Retail Driver Date Size bytes WHQL Logo'd Yes WHQL Date Stamp Device Identifier D B E E- - CF- C-C C CA Vendor ID x DE Device ID x SubSys ID x CF C Revision ID x A Driver Strong Name oem inf NVIDIA Mfg NTx nv C M ci ven de amp dev amp subsys cf c Rank Of Driver F

A:Laptop display troubles on and off although external works fine

Does the HP screen display at startup? ie; before Windows even loads.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-display-troubles-on-and-off-although-external-works-fine-512923.html
Relevancy 57.19%

HI everyone,

So I have a Lenovo Ideapad y550, and I am using windows 7 home premium. I have an Acer lcd external monitor that I want to run. I bought a DVI to VGA adapter to connect my monitor to my laptop. So whenever I plug it in my laptop to recognizes in completely, but the external monitor is still blank. It has a blank screen and the power light is a solid amber color. I tried updating the drivers, but seeing as I just got my laptop a couple of weeks ago, there are no new drivers for video/monitor display. I tried seeing if my connection was loose. It was not. the connection is fine. I have hit Fn + F3 which sets it up for extended use. I know it is working but my external monitors screen is blank. Any suggestions please? Thanks.

Relevancy 57.19%

I just bought an external monitor to use with my laptop at home. Would there be a problem with installing the drivers for the monitor? Would it conflict with my laptop display?
Thanks,

Bernie

Relevancy 57.19%

I have a HP Pavilion laptop with a degree turning monitor and touch screen The laptop shuts off second after turning it on I would like to use the monitor as an extended display for my current PC also and HP Pavilion Desktop I connected my video card Nvidia GT It has DVI used for my current screen VGA which i want to use for the laptop and HDMI I connected my video card to the laptop using a VGA cable and monitor? laptop as Use external broken the buttons around the monitor light up The screen is NOT detected by Windows but i can choose to connect to the screen anyway by clicking on the multiple displays and choosing to Use broken laptop as external monitor? connect using VGA anyway Basically i can connect to the laptop monitor but am not able to see anything on it my coputer Use broken laptop as external monitor? acts as if it had an extended display My Question is if i can use this laptop display as an extended display fo my desktop nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

My buddy has alaptop that the screen is going on it so hes plugged in an external monitor..When he boots up it shortly says going to standby and the monitor turns off.....Is there a setting to make the external monitor stay on..

i already tried going to power options in the control panel and it says never for turning the monitor off but that must be for the laptops original screen(monitor)...so thats not the problem here..Does anyone know what may be?

Yanman

A:laptop with external monitor probs

F4 - normall works - and keeps the setting for external monitor

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-with-external-monitor-probs.305928/
Relevancy 57.19%

When we connect an older ADI 19" monitor to a Vista laptop, it shows no images even though the monitor power light is green, indicating a video signal.

I played with all the display settings (refresh rate, resolution), the function-F5 key to select the display, etc. In display properties it shows the monitor as a non-pnp generic monitor.

When I connect a different monitor to the laptop it runs instantly.

When I connect the ADI monitor to a different laptop, an older WinME laptop, it works fine instantly.

I looked online to find a monitor driver, but when I tried to install it, Vista said it already had the most up to date driver installed. And monitors usually run anyway even without the driver, so I am not sure if looking for a driver is the way to go.

Any ideas?
Thanks

A:Connecting external monitor to a laptop

Originally Posted by YoVincenzo

When we connect an older ADI 19" monitor to a Vista laptop, it shows no images even though the monitor power light is green, indicating a video signal.

I played with all the display settings (refresh rate, resolution), the function-F5 key to select the display, etc. In display properties it shows the monitor as a non-pnp generic monitor.

When I connect a different monitor to the laptop it runs instantly.

When I connect the ADI monitor to a different laptop, an older WinME laptop, it works fine instantly.

I looked online to find a monitor driver, but when I tried to install it, Vista said it already had the most up to date driver installed. And monitors usually run anyway even without the driver, so I am not sure if looking for a driver is the way to go.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Might be of more use if we knew your system specs (lower left corner) so we know what video card, memory, etc

Ken

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/246982-connecting-external-monitor-laptop.html
Relevancy 57.19%

OK so I have Sager np9150 Gaming laptop with nvidia 670m 1.5gb ram graphic card and integrated intel hd 4000.

the monitor I'm trying to connect to is a Lg Flattron wide. I bought a hdmi to dvi adapter cable so that I can hook the hdmi side to my laptop and the dvi side to my monitor since it doesn't have a hdmi slot.

before plugging the hdmi side into the laptop my monitor say check signal cable. when I plug the hdmi side into my laptop the check signal cable disappear and it say digital power saving and then it stay in that mode.

A:My laptop cannot find external monitor

Right-click on your desktop, click Screen resolution, set to Extend these displays.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-cannot-find-external-monitor.192563/
Relevancy 57.19%

When i connect my monitor and hover over programs the description about the program will be really big.And when i open settings everything is really big. I have updated the GPU, and it still did not work. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/laptop-keeps-resizing-external-monitor/td-p/5820104
Relevancy 57.19%

Bought a new monitor for my laptop and I am having some trouble. When the monitor is plugged in an I go to te monitors properties only the external shows up not the laptops. When I change the resolution for what is labeled as the external it changes the laptops screen. The monitor goes right to sleep when I plug it in and their is no dual screen option. I updated the drivers anyone have any ideas?

A:Laptop external monitor problem

Hi and welcome to TSF please post the make and model of your laptop

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-external-monitor-problem-599922.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I would like to use an HP ENVY All-in-One Desktop - 27- b025se touch as an external monitor for my Windows-based laptop. Is that possible?

A:Using AIO desktop as external monitor for a laptop

@Henrique_2, welcome to the forum. Henrique_2 wrote:I would like to use an HP ENVY All-in-One Desktop - 27- b025se touch as an external monitor for my Windows-based laptop. Is that possible?Yes, you can connect your AIO to your laptop if the laptop has a HDMI port.  There are two HDMI ports (In and Out) on the AIO.  You will use the HDMI Out.  You will have to buy a HDMI cable.  Port #2 in the diagram is the the HDMI out. Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Using-AIO-desktop-as-external-monitor-for-a-laptop/td-p/5835901
Relevancy 57.19%

The two screenshots below illustrate the problem. Resolution in both cases reported as being 1920 x 1080, but there's a clear difference.  Monitor is Asus 24 inch, using HDMI connection.Grateful for any assistance. Thanks. (On edit: The screenshots don't show the difference as clearly as I'd hoped, but maybe someone has had this happen and has a solution.)  Lid open Lid closed 

A:Resolution on external monitor changes when using laptop wit...

Hello @kiwi-di, Welcome to the HP Forums! I have taken a look at your post and notice the resolution on the external screen is not clear when the HP Pavilion 15-ab101ax lid is closed. I want to help you resolve this issue. What is the model number of the monitor? Please begin troubleshooting with a hard reset. Once that is complete, follow the steps in this graphics troubleshooting document: HP Notebook PCs - Green Screen and Other Video Playback Issues (Windows 10) You can also try setting the external screen to Screen 1 before closing the notebook lid. 1. Right-click on the desktop2. Select "Display settings"3. Click on "Advanced display settings"4. Set the Asus monitor to the default screen I look forward to your reply!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Resolution-on-external-monitor-changes-when-using-laptop/td-p/5599904