Windows Support Forum

my windows OS is experiencing hard lock ups on the desk top

Q: my windows OS is experiencing hard lock ups on the desk top

Greetings techspot

REcently my windows has been experiencing hard lock ups while i am gaming or during normal use. i am not sure how thes are occuring but i have checked my hardware and seems nothing wrong with it just dusted it out fans working fine. and when i do freeze up i cant do anything but the ALT TAB hot key however i cant use CTRL ALT DELETE.

Then nothing is woking i cant click on the toolbar and the desktopjust freezes up and this happens randomely can anybody shed some light on this situation for me i'll post up my specs if needed ty =]

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: my windows OS is experiencing hard lock ups on the desk top

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: my windows OS is experiencing hard lock ups on the desk top

What are your system specs and operating system? How old is this system?

Could you answer this post with the lack of info you provided? I think not...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-windows-os-is-experiencing-hard-lock-ups-on-the-desk-top.76149/
Relevancy 65.36%

I recently built a computer and im very frustrated with it so far Ive been having some issues but the biggest issue now is that my computer locks ups... Experiencing lock random Any help? up cant ctrl alt del and just shows the loading cursor all the time sometimes randomly and every single time I try and start a game i e TF Experiencing random lock ups... Any help? and COD Can anyone help me All my parts are currently listed below I have the newest GPU drivers I dont think this is a heat issue because the computer could lock up only being on for minutes after being powered off for hours Does anyone know what could be causing this I do thank everyone in advance for helping me with this issue I really need help EDIT I just tried swapping out RAM and that did not fix the problem Keep in mind these are all brand new parts Case Cosmos Motherboard GIGABYTE P DS R CPU Q GPU EVGA GT MB PSU OCZ GameXStream W RAM GB G SKILL DDR HDD Seagate GB CPU Fan Zalman CNPS NT Drive Samsung SH-S B Monitor Samsung bw quot

A:Experiencing random lock ups... Any help?

hi ryan can you try diff ram or maybe a cheaper graph card.maybe check bios see if everything is fine. maybe change motherboard to default settings.hope it helps.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/experiencing-random-lock-ups-any-help-210852.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Please see attached minidump. Any asistance would be greatly appreciated. This is my first post so I apologize in advance fo any mistakes I have made.

A:Client's Laptop experiencing BSOD after Windows 7 Hard-Link Migration

From my understand of hard link migration; your trying to transfer files of old OS to new OS on old laptop? If this is the case, is the hardware of laptop compatible with windows 7? Are there drivers for the old hardware that are for windows 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/260112-clients-laptop-experiencing-bsod-after-windows-7-hard-link-migration.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello I have been having a huge issue with hard-lock random freezing occuring in certain games in particular Americas army and Eve various Windows on games, Hard-lock 64-bit 7 online This problem immediately became apparent after my brother and I replaced my old failing PSU with a w OCZ one We also took out the gigs of ram the PC came with and put in gigs worth of ADATA DDR maxing out the mobo and its RAM capability As far as the crashes go it seems to Hard-lock on various games, Windows 7 64-bit be network related I can play X Terran conflict which is a single player only game and played for hours just fine When loading AA however the computer hard-locked several times usually during loading server list during punk-buster authentication and a few times in actual gameplay Eve online ran for about - minutes before locking up on a session change Also opening up the steam overlay from within game and trying to chat causes it lock up within seconds I have not hard-locked as of yet while doing normal everyday stuff like browsing forums reading email or using ventrilo When the computer locks up there is usually a faint buzzing sound or humming from the speaker headset nothing responds not even the keyboard caps lock light I have run a windows memory diagnostic test as well as a full pass of memtest and no problems were found I have a large number of warning and Errors events in the windows event logs inbetween the criticals I have uploaded a log of them along with my dxdiag though I am not sure what they mean Hope we can figure this problem out its driving me nuts

A:Hard-lock on various games, Windows 7 64-bit

Hi -

I would start with removing COMODO and McAfee Internet Security.

- Remove COMODO; reboot upon completion
- Remove McAfee - http://jcgriff2.com/A-V_Removal_Tool...e_Removal.html

Reboot upon completion.

Install MSE - http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-lock-on-various-games-windows-7-64-bit-535242.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a Windows XP SP3 machine that has recently been locking up but not showing any BSOD...I have to manually restart using the power button.

This has occurred while using the computer, and also while the computer was sitting idle.

I have tried running Glary Registry Repair, but still have issues. I thought it may be a heat issue, so I left ASUS PC Probe running...when the lock up occurred, the monitors displayed 43C CPU and 40C MB temperatures, so that did not seem too excessive.

The specs are listed below:

Operating System : Windows XP Professional 32-bit w/SP3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
RAM: 2.00GB
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q SE
Video Card: 512MB GeForce 9800 GTX+
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI

Also, I am currently using a Netgear USB wireless adapter for internet access.

If you have any suggestions as to what to try next, then it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Hard lock but no BSOD - Windows XP

If a Desktop, open the side panel and blow out all fans with Compressed Air. Restart computer and make sure all fans are spinning.
Go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. Now type a Y and reboot the computer. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any error at next bootup.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-lock-but-no-bsod-windows-xp-578212.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I've had this problem with different PCs and different routers here it goes My old PC was an E with a Asus P K mobo whenever I would connect the Ethernet directly to the mobo windows would hard lock at the loading screen If I would boot up then plug in the Ethernet it would lock up with a sound loop between a few seconds to a few minutes later I was due for a router upgrade anyways was previously when lock Ethernet 7 connected. hard Windows is using an old Linksys so I opted for the D-link dir Same problem I figured something might be wrong Windows 7 hard lock when Ethernet is connected. with the mobo so I bought a cheap D-link Ethernet card and voila problem solved -- Now I have Windows 7 hard lock when Ethernet is connected. recently bought a new tower an I - k on a Asus p z EVO with dual s and I am having the exact same problem There are different Ethernet ports on this mobo and regardless of which one I plug the Ethernet into windows hangs on loading I have a wireless card installed and the PC runs flawlessly when using the wireless instead of hard wire I've gone out and purchased a TP-Link Ethernet card because they were cheaper than the D-Links but to no avail windows still hangs on loading I'm at a loss here only difference I see is that the Ethernet card is a TP-link instead of a D-link but still that's not normal Any ideas I dislike playing games on my wireless as my PC and router aren't close at all and I'm only getting bars Thank you

A:Windows 7 hard lock when Ethernet is connected.

I've gotten the Ethernet card to work with updated drivers, however both mobo Ethernet sockets still lock up my pc.

Intel 82579v Gigabit
Realtek PCI GBE Family controller

Both say they have the most up to date drivers, although I find it kinda weird that the Realtek one just gives me a generic name and not the model of it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/windows-7-hard-lock-when-ethernet-is-connected-915442.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello just about at my wits end with this issue Installed Windows for the first time and HARD 8.1 driver installs Windows LOCK on New am having serious issues with installing drivers Everytime I try to install my mouse drivers Logitech g keyboard drivers Corsair K RGB or even so much as search for new hardware under the device manager my PC hard locks - the HDD light stays on the screen completely freezes although after seconds or so the mouse will disappear and I have to hold down the power button and do a reboot MB is an Asus P Z -V pro So far I have Updated the chipset drivers Updated Intel Management Interface Updated Sound drivers Attempted to update LAN drivers that hard locked on quot preparing for install quot Performed a re-install of Windows I literally have no idea how to fix this and no idea what's going on Can anyone please help Thanks EDIT I've also removed my overclock on the off chance that was causing issues Edit uploaded SF debug files

A:New Windows 8.1 HARD LOCK on driver installs

Did you get the new updates ?

KB3000850 can cause problems.

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/57501-new-windows-8-1-hard-lock-driver-installs.html
Relevancy 53.32%

So ever since I updated from Windows to Windows as a 8.1 semi-frequent ups lock freezes/hard Windows gift I've been getting somewhat frequent lock ups Sometimes I can go a few days without getting Windows 8.1 semi-frequent freezes/hard lock ups one with the most frequent being an hour apart It also seems mostly random with the only common occurrence being when I load a BF map or when I alt tab out of a game both have happened twice so far What happens though is my screen will freeze at whatever I was doing last my mouse and keyboard become unresponsive my HDD light goes solid but my case fans lights keep going Also whats weird is that my power button also becomes unresponsive forcing me to reboot via psu or unplugging it This was basically a clean install I assume had to reinstall all my games programs only preserving pictures and documents from before the update Even though the computer is kind of old - years it runs smoothly except for these freezes My temperatures for my GPU CPU never exceed - C and all my drivers are up to date Just some side notes -This isn't entirely a quot new quot problem I've had these kinds of crashes in the past with Windows though it was on very rare occasions something like once every months or something if that if I had to guess Since updating to Windows the frequency of the crashes is way higher few times a week -Recently replaced my PSU due to my old one failing little over a month ago Don't believe the crashes are related to that simply because it ran flawlessly all of December with Windows before upgrading to Windows a week ago -Ruled out my HDD I think anyway I ran WinDlg Western Digitals diagnostic for their HDDs and passed Also ran CHKDSK as well with bad sectors too Open to trying another program if those are believed to not be reliable Thanks in advance for any asssitance

A:Windows 8.1 semi-frequent freezes/hard lock ups

Hate to say it, I'm with you on this. I Googled the symptoms and yours matched mine almost identically. And it's been getting worse. I don't play games. For me it's graphics intensive work, though -- Photoshop and Lightroom mainly. I thought maybe it was RAM or something. I ran MemTest86 for over 16-hours and no issues. I KNOW it's some sort of Win 8.1 glitch combined with hardware. I just don't know WHERE. So incredibly frustrating I can't get my work done because of this. Anyone else???

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/38372-windows-8-1-semi-frequent-freezes-hard-lock-ups.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hardware MSI K A Platinum BIOS GB Corsair DDR - - - - - T AMD AM Creative X-Fi Fatality Diamond HD XT's This board has the AMD crossfire chipset If I hook up any USB storage device Windows Vista Ultimate x instantly hard locks I then have to power off the PSU and wait seconds before I can turn the computer back on Ultimate lock USB X64 Windows to cause devices storage Freeze/hard The power switch will be completely unresponsive until I do this If I have the USB storage device on and USB storage devices cause Windows Ultimate X64 to Freeze/hard lock then boot up it will hard lock before I can reach the login screen USB storage devices cause Windows Ultimate X64 to Freeze/hard lock I can repeat this behavior I USB storage devices cause Windows Ultimate X64 to Freeze/hard lock can also cause to minute delays during the Vista install by having a USB storage device attached The slow downs occur during the initial menus Has anyone else seen this problem This behavior does not occur under Windows XP It has to be a problem between Vista and something on this motherboard I also noticed AMD ATI has never bothered to update the chipset drivers I find it very hard to believe they are perfect and don't need any fixes I am already using the latest BIOS Actually the problem occurs with and If I do a fresh install of Vista with a USB storage device attached everything seems fine at first Then after a few reboots the hard lock shows up I did extensive testing here I logged the order in which things were installed applied Drivers patches etc I removed all but the necessary component of one video card Once the first hard lock occurs any USB storage device causes the instant hardlock Unplugging the device does not unfreeze the computer Now to further confuse the problem There is a chance that plugging in a new USB storage device won't immediately cause the hard lock Once I try to access it BAM If I take out the sound card and use a PCI USB controller I can use all the USB storage devices to my hearts content I refuse to take out the sound card though and have no free slots I'm one of the lucky few who can use the Creative X-Fi in Vista without errors I switched to the onboard audio to test the PCI USB solution

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/106076-usb-storage-devices-cause-windows-ultimate-x64-freeze-hard-lock.html
Relevancy 51.6%

MY COMPUTER HAS THREE HARD DRIVES. I UNDERSTAND ONE IS PRIMARY, ONE IS BACK UP, BUT WHAT DOES THIRD DO? HOW DOYOU USE IT?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/USE-OF-THREE-HARD-DRIVES-IN-DESK-TOP-COMPUTER/td-p/5834909
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a laptop that has malware that won't let me boot up.

I have taken the hard drive out and have connected to a desktop using a sata to usb converter.

I can see the hard drive in my computer, but when I try to access the laptop hard drive a window pops up asking if I want to format it.

I have tried this using another laptop as well with the same results.

The desktop and laptop use NTFS formatting that I am using to access the malware hard drive.

The malware hard drive came from a Dell Latitude E6320.

I have most of the malware hard drive backed up exept for the last couple of weeks. I want to back up that portion before working on it.

Any ideas?

James

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-hard-drive-access-from-desk-top.1093230/
Relevancy 50.74%

is it normal that i can feel my desk vibrating a little bit like theres an electricity going through me. im not just used to it because my older hdd doesnt give me this vibration i feel nothing but my new hdd gives me this.

old hdd seagate 80 gb sata I
new hdd seagate 1000gb sata III

A:Hard drive vibrates my desk, is it normal

To my knowledge, a hard drive shouldn't vibrate that much. A little bit is normal, but excessive vibration can be an indicator of a problem.

Is this an internal or external drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/341790-hard-drive-vibrates-my-desk-normal.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I find that when resting the arrow on the task bar icons it is very hard for these old eyes to read.
Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciiated.
This is also true on eveything else when shown on the monitor.
thank you.

A:weak color blue - very hard to read on desk top.

Welcome to the Forum Hobie.
This may be very helpful.
A tutorial by Brink:

ClearType Text Tuner

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/308684-weak-color-blue-very-hard-read-desk-top.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I am trying to add a second hard drive to this machine, there is only two SATA slots on the mother board one for the OS hard drive and the other is for the optical drive.  there is also only two power slots on the mother board.  There is room for one drive in the rack, but dont see how to connect the drive. Any help is appreciated. Thank you,

A:Add an additional hard drive to my HP Pavilion 550-a114 Desk...

Hi, Please check the following post:    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/install-a-second-hard-drive-on-p... Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Add-an-additional-hard-drive-to-my-HP-Pavilion-550-a114/td-p/5756012
Relevancy 50.31%

I was reading a thread but it has expired so I thought I would start a new one on same subject. I bought a emachine wireless laptop. I bought a wireless router(ASUS RT-N10) It came with an ethernet cable. I want to keep my desktop hardwired but my DSL cable is regular phone sized. The new router only has ethernet sizes slots. The ethernet on my Modum goes to my desktop. What do I need so I can hook up the wireless and keep my wired connection. Whew! Do I just need a simpler cheaper wireless router? I liked the ASUS one because it has the capability of operating my son's computer next door to me (says it has 300% signal strength) and it has 2 networks in one.

Relevancy 49.45%

The drive was running fine for about 15 mins but since my laptop was on battery and i had steeped away i did not realize that the battery ran out . post that since i have connected it back the laptop does not read the drive. I have tried checking it with my desktop and 2 other laptops but the result is the same. also tried changing the USB Cable but this also has not worked. it does not show up in my disk management tab or under my "my Computer". Please advise.

A:External Hard Drive seagate (freeagent Desk) stopped being recognized

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-seagate-freeagent-desk-stopped-being-recognized.923791/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi new to these forums hope I don't break any rules or anything here My laptop is a Sony Vaio - Model SVE R L Product name SVE CXB Pre-loaded with Windows x Intel R Core i - M CPU GHz GB RAM w GB HDD space Purchased in Navy Exchange last year around July I have dropped it once or twice from at most a ft fall inside a padded case I mostly use my computer for school work some gaming extensive video photo editing internet browsing I've installed some debatable programs but have been installed long ago Most of my programs included Microsoft Office Adobe suite Steam iTunes uTorrent Cursor/num/cap Screen Windows Lock work lock Stuck, 8 McAfee VirusScan Enterprise Winrar VLC etc But are now gone due to the refresh I had just done last week for prior problems but still experience problems I recently been Windows 8 Lock Screen Stuck, Cursor/num/cap lock work having issues with my computer where it just won't respond at all Like today I had it working for a few hours but then went out and left my laptop on the lock screen and came back to it Windows 8 Lock Screen Stuck, Cursor/num/cap lock work being completely stuck Completely stuck as in no keys or clicks would unlock the screen to the login prompt However my cursor was fully able to move around the screen and my caps num lock buttons work as they display the lights enabling disabling them The time when it was stuck was pm but the clock was stuck on But on the bottom of the front of the laptop the HDD orange light is not lit up at all which I believe suggest that the HDD is not reading properly reading Oddly enough when I unplugged the power cord the HDD light flickered a little then disappeared still no response - could be related to the PSU I suppose Another problem I faced before was the Windows update failure resulting in reverted changes etc I also had problems in the first few months of owning this but found it was the incompatibility of an old antivirus that I guess didn't work too well with Win causing me to have to do a full wipe before That was long ago Moreover the problems I have been experiencing have been unresponsiveness from what I believe are the fast boot Win provides but I turned that off issues with Win not being able to load drivers from sleep mode upon opening the laptop turned off automatic sleep and now with the lock screen being stuck I know my problems aren't detailed but maybe these problems are linked to a bigger similar problem that people have been facing My last bet would be to do a full factory restore repair although I don't have a Windows boot CD Thanks for your time

A:Windows 8 Lock Screen Stuck, Cursor/num/cap lock work

Sounds like one too many drops killed the computer. You may get lucky and find a local mom & pop shop that will fix it cheaper then Sony.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/50498-windows-8-lock-screen-stuck-cursor-num-cap-lock-work.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Not a techie.  Can't get straight answer ANYWHERE.  New laptops tend to NOT have indicators on the keys.  Hoping Windows 10 has indicators that can be turned on and PROBABLY would show up in the tray at the bottom right of the screen. 
I have heard of sites where such things can be downloaded but again NOT a techie, so I hesitate to go outside of Windows/Microsoft for downloads.  I do not know what download sites are safe or spoofs.

Please plain English ... i.e. go to settings etc.  Or just give me a Microsoft approved site for download.
Dez/MJD

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/200fc460-641e-495a-82c9-963752076918/windows-10-asus-laptop-want-caps-lock-and-num-lock-indicators?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi My errors are a freezing cursor - dead mouse on every other reboot and With file transfers from one HDD to another I will frequently get a system lockup of Windows forcing me Windows to and Transfering HDD on Lock-Up boot) (not HDD. Files there Mouse Lock-Up to reboot hard reboot My System is CLEAN of viri and trojan as wella s spyware I Have WinXP Pro Sp Running Zone Alarm Pro v Eset NOD v Webroot Spysweeper for coookies and alt scans Spyware Doctor v resident and Trojan Hunter v Mouse Lock-Up (not there on boot) and Windows Lock-Up Transfering Files HDD to HDD. also resident on boot I am also booting and browsing with Pop-Up Stopper Pro My Hardware Abit NF -S rev Athlon Barton core Best OCZ Mhz RAM - Gb in dual channel Audigy Pro for sound Latest drivers for all quot to best of my knowledge quot Any Helpers More on Mouse Lock-Up (not there on boot) and Windows Lock-Up Transfering Files HDD to HDD. the file tranfer lock-ups The two other drives are Seagate drives and identicle They're Gb each I have not reformated them since my last Windows reinstall - they were detected right off Could be Windows isnt seeing those drives for what they are Even worse a bus problem Thank you in advance

A:Mouse Lock-Up (not there on boot) and Windows Lock-Up Transfering Files HDD to HDD.

have you tryed running safemode? is it the same?
run a chkdsk: start > My Computer > right click the drive u want to scan > properties > tools > error checking - Check Now > put tick in both boxes > click start > click to scedule on next boot > restart

see if it returns any errors or corrects this

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/mouse-lock-up-not-there-on-boot-and-windows-lock-up-transfering-files-hdd-to-hdd-72456.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I recently purchased a Seagate 500GB FreeAgent Desk external hard drive for backup. I have tried their software which leaves much to be desired. What would you recommend for both purchase and free backup software which will work alone with this external hard drive? I want the capability for full disk backup, selected files backup, and incremental backup as files are changed.
Only simple to use software. Is PC Backup version 10 a really good and simple to use backup program to purchase and will it work alone with my Seagate external hard drive? What about other backup programs to purchase and for free?

A:Solved: Conpatable Backup Software for Seagate 500GB FreeAgent Desk External Hard Dri

You should take a look at Acronis True Image Home 2009, it can do all the things you are looking for: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
They have a free trial so check that out if you are interested in it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-conpatable-backup-software-for-seagate-500gb-freeagent-desk-external-hard-dri.793982/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi there Over the last month or so I've been experiencing BSODs on my computer They've been increasing in frequency as BSODs, Windows Experiencing 8.1 of late and using the limited knowledge I have of viewing a dump in WinDbg just seeing what it points to near the beginning bits it seems to be different nearly every time Some of the more recent ones include REFERENCE BY POINTER ATTEMPTED WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY and SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION I'm attaching the dumps I have in the hopes that someone is able to check this out for me Tried to attach them but I'm told that You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file so I'm putting a media fire link below I've also run a couple of virus scans with Malwarebytes amp SuperAntiSpyware even though I haven't knowingly had malware issues in a few years and they did not seem to turn anything up Experiencing BSODs, Windows 8.1 save for a few tracking cookies Minidumps http www mediafire com download hskdi k cr sm minidumps rar PC specs Gigabyte Z -HD mobo Intel Core i K GeForce GTX GB DDR RAM Thanks for taking the time to look at this for me

A:Experiencing BSODs, Windows 8.1

ownload BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.whe
n scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/547924/experiencing-bsods-windows-81/
Relevancy 47.3%

what to do when a dell latitude d630 laptop is not on but cap lock, num lock and scroll lock is on and i'e tried to check the VGA and the processor

A:Dell latitude d630 laptop is not on but cap lock, num lock and the scroll lock is on

Are they on solid, or are all three LEDs flashing?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19994256
Relevancy 47.3%

My computer is randomly experiencing unexpected shutdowns and reboots.. Sometimes web browsing , sometimes working on spreadsheets..Minidump files are created but Im not able to open them.
Windows 7 home premium
Service Pack 1
Dell Inspiron 1564
Intel ® Core TM i3 cpu M330 2.13 GHz 2.13 GHz
RAM 4.00 GB 3.8GB Usuable
64 bit operating system
No pen or touch input is available

This has been happening for some time now so I do not what might have caused it. I have just recently within the last week had computer cleaned of malware and virus yet crashes continue.

Thank you in advance.

A:Windows experiencing Unexpected Shutdowns

Hello chessder58,If we could gather a little more information about the problem computer, it might prove helpful in pointing toward a solution.1. )  Please follow this link:  BSOD Posting Instructions Windows 8 - Windows 7 - Vista.Follow all instructions with the exception of:Create a new thread HERE and attach the file(s) after step 4Note: Both files, autoruns and JCGriff2 BSOD collection app, of Step 1 need to be in the Documents folder.Next, Upload the zipped folder to a File Sharing website of your choosing because Bleeping Computer has a 512 K only upload limit and this file will be much larger.   For a listing of free File Sharing websites see: http://technojourney.com/trending/best-alternatives-megaupload-and-filesonic-file-hosting/or you may use File Dropper or Box.com.Please post a link to the file in your next post.2. )  To help us get a better look at your computer's hardware, please download and install Speccy by Piriform. (mirror site)Run Speccy and from the top menu, select File --> Publish Snapshot.  Click "Yes" to proceed.Click, Copy to Clipboard and  paste this address into your next post.3. )  Please download MiniToolBox by Farbar, save it to your Desktop, then run it.Check the following checkbox:List Installed ProgramsThen click Go.Highlight the contents of  Result.txt.  Copy (Ctrl + C), then Paste (Ctrl + V)  the contents of this file into your next post.  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/488670/windows-experiencing-unexpected-shutdowns/
Relevancy 47.3%

I got a virus on my computer called PromptDownloader I didn't know how to remove it so I brought it to a guy who said he would re-install Windows and clean out my computer with compressed air He did this and removed of after issues re-installing 7 Windows Experiencing :/ my fans because he said they were Experiencing issues after re-installing Windows 7 :/ not working anymore I picked up the computer and have been using it for a couple Experiencing issues after re-installing Windows 7 :/ days I no longer have a smooth user experience with this computer It is very slow and glitchy the opposite of what I expected Experiencing issues after re-installing Windows 7 :/ with a fresh install Google Chrome crashes a lot If I leave a Youtube video on the screen even with it paused my browser is almost guaranteed to crash Playing a very non-cpu intensive game Runescape is even problematic And my IP address isn't even the same anymore It looks like I'm on a proxy somehow I'm hoping someone here could provide some insight as to why I'm experiencing these issues Is it possible this guy used some bootlegged re-install disk I'm hoping its that so I can just buy the re-install disk off Amazon and fix these issues Any input is greatly appreciated Your IPv Address Is b ef ed b d Stars to hide full IP

A:Experiencing issues after re-installing Windows 7 :/

Hi Giraffeman, and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/607473/experiencing-issues-after-re-installing-windows-7/
Relevancy 46.44%

My HP Pavilion dv6000 is running windows 7 ultimate in 32 bit and for some days now shuts down abruptly showing blue screen of death.

I have attached the SF logs zipped.

I dont want to lose all my data by formatting. Please HELP!!!

A:Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit - Experiencing BSOD...HELP [SF log attached]

Hello.

Code:
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Looks like you do not have SP1 installed. Please install through using Windows Updates.

Code:
Bluetooth Peripheral Device BTHENUM\{00000000-DECA-FADE-DECA-DEAFDECACAFE}_VID&000205AC_PID&1292\7&35562994&0&002312D576D6_C00000000 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Bluetooth Peripheral Device BTHENUM\{00000002-0000-1000-8000-0002EE000002}_VID&00010001_PID&003C\7&35562994&0&001F004D685D_C00000000 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Bluetooth Peripheral Device BTHENUM\{0000110E-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB}_VID&00010001_PID&003C\7&35562994&0&001F004D685D_C00000000 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Please install the drivers for your bluetooth peripheral.

Code:
Probably caused by : memory_corruption
This shows that you could have some memory problems. Please run a RAM - Test with Memtest86+

Code:
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7a)

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: CODE_CORRUPTION

PROCESS_NAME: System
This shows possible errors in your system files. After the mem test run the following:

Quote:
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

After:
Disk Check

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following are outdated Drivers.

Code:
CDAC15BA.SYS Mon Jul 1 03:46:43 2002 (3D2016F3)
Drivers before 2009 are known to cause problems. Please uninstall as there are no updates that I can find. Program name: C-Dilla Copy Protection Software(Macrovision Security)

Code:
rimsptsk.sys Tue Jan 23 01:40:19 2007 (45B5BBE3)
rimmptsk.sys Fri Feb 23 23:42:21 2007 (45DFD03D)
rixdptsk.sys Wed Mar 21 08:02:02 2007 (46012CCA)
Same as above. Update here: Downloads | Ricoh Global

Code:
HpqRemHid.sys Wed Jul 11 10:30:21 2007 (4694F78D)
Same as above: Update here: HP Support & Drivers | United States

Code:
SynTP.sys Fri Sep 14 21:10:35 2007 (46EB3F1B)
Same as above. Update here: Drivers | Synaptics

Code:
nvlddmkm.sys Wed Sep 19 22:40:35 2007 (46F1EBB3)
Video cards are essential to keep the drivers updated. This could cause more problems. Update here: Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Code:
smserial.sys Fri Sep 26 03:23:38 2008 (48DC9C0A)
I cannot find any new drivers for this one. For now just leave it.

After following ALL of these. Please post back results. I hope this solves it. Took a lot of research lol.

-Justin

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/242893-windows-7-ultimate-32-bit-experiencing-bsod-help-sf-log-attached.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi guys I have Windows bit Have had it for over a year now and my computer has been running great However in the last few months I ve noticed the overall performance of my computer has been slowing down and trying to run any sort of programme or software has taken that bit longer to load In the last few days I ve had very weird performance The whole desktop function just ceases up and freezes and I can t access any of the open programmes or even ctrl alt delete or get into task manager Yesterday and today it even went as far to be so bad that when I simply loaded up Windows and got to the desktop and loaded firefox upon Windows OS of Experiencing up loading desktop freezing after about seconds of loading Experiencing freezing of Windows OS upon loading up desktop it up it would suddenly cease up and again I d be forced to turn off and on the pc again I decided to boot up Windows with my cd and I ran some diagnostic test to Experiencing freezing of Windows OS upon loading up desktop see if it Experiencing freezing of Windows OS upon loading up desktop could find any problems when booting I went away and let the test run and when I came back Windows had loaded all the way to my desktop and since then I ve had no issues - albeit they could appear again So I m just wondering if anybody has experience similar issues Does anybody have any advice they d like to impart upon my situation Do you think I just need to tidy up my computer - as I ve been installing programmes and software over the course of the last year and never made any attempt to re-organise the operating system in any way Please I d appreciate any help at all nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/experiencing-freezing-of-windows-os-upon-loading-up-desktop.992970/
Relevancy 46.44%

I have just formatted a new Asus laptop with windows 8, and put a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

Unfortunately there are now 3 drivers missing: Ethernet Controller, SM Bus Controller and USB Controller. I tried both Chipset drivers designed for windows 8 from Asus's support site, without success.

The Laptop is an Asus F552EP, CPU - AMD Quad core A6-5200 2.0Ghz, 4GB, HDD 750

Can anyone point me in the direction of drivers which will work?

Many Thanks
Ben

A:Experiencing driver issues reverting from Windows 8 to 7

Hi Ben ... Welcome to Seven Forums .. Your Lan Driver can be found in the Link below ...

Realtek
Go to the Device Manager System Devices ...

What Chipset Series is stated there ? ...

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/348478-experiencing-driver-issues-reverting-windows-8-7-a.html
Relevancy 46.44%

A few days ago my BF clicked on a pop-up he believed was a virus alert from AVG.

Since then we have been catching and deleting Trojan and Rouge threats with a newly installed version of AVG (because it locked up a few programs and that was one of them). In addition, we have been catching and deleting other infected files detected by Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpywar Free Edition (SAS FE was also a program affected by the infection. It could not update).

Now I get two error windows on start up:

RUNDLL
"error lading C:\WINDOWS\adnemec.dll. The specified module could not be found"

and

RUNDLL
"error lading C:\WINDOWS\epemeyud.dll. The specified module could not be found"

Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to fix these errors and stop them from popping up? I have a sinking suspicion this is just the tip of the ice berg.

A:Experiencing Rundll error windows on start up

Hello Kou:Its not unusual to receive such an error after using specialized fix tools.A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message is usually related to malware that was set to run at startup but has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads. To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if you're not sure how to do this.)Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.Right-click on the entry and choose delete.Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.Credit to quietman7Next run TFC by OTPlease download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop. alternate download linkSave any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser! Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator. Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion. Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when doneclick Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/333383/experiencing-rundll-error-windows-on-start-up/
Relevancy 46.44%

For some time now, i have been experiencing that my Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock all lights up (not blinking) all at the same time, I tried to google it but i can not find any solutions or explanations for it.

Does anyone know if it is bad? and what is causing this?

I am having a wired keyboard with nothing fancy just a standard issue Logitech keyboard.

A:Num Lock, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock all lights up (not blinking)

Can you toggle those functions off, one at a time? Sometimes restarting the computer will use the last state it was in, I'd fully shut down and pull the power cord from the computer and the keyboard cable then put them back and try again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/346865-num-lock-caps-lock-scroll-lock-all-lights-up-not-blinking.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi,

how to disable Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock screen messages?

I have desktop pc with two keyboards usb and bluetooth. Also TOSHIBA Bluetooth Stack software, but in device manager: keyboard > hid keyboard device both using microsoft drivers. And I dont have any software installed for keyboards. Also bluetooth has separate system tray indications (it is also disabled) so its not that. I made some googling and found other fix it with Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Widcomm\BTConfig\General KeyIndication set to 0, but I dont have it in registry. Acualy I dont have anywhere in registry KeyIndication. So any ideas how to disable it? Thanks

A:Caps lock, num lock, scroll lock screen messages

Hi,

You'll find that the messages are controlled by a piece of software that came pre-installed on your machine when you bought it. Try looking for a Hotkey managing app to see if the notifications can be disabled.

OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/153296-caps-lock-num-lock-scroll-lock-screen-messages.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Running Windows my Wireless network connectivity dropped out Some issues found There might be a - Windows Nework Wireless problems 8 Experiencing Adapter problem with the driver for the Wi-Fi adapter detected Set up the wireless network adapter Not Wireless Nework Adapter Experiencing problems - Windows 8 run The wireless network adapter is experiencing problems Not run Windows couldn t automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter Wi-fi driver info Realtek RTL BE Wireless LAN Realtek Semiconductor Corp Version Inf file name C Windows INF oem inf Inf file date december Section Wireless Nework Adapter Experiencing problems - Windows 8 Name LC be ndi Hardware ID pci ven ec amp Wireless Nework Adapter Experiencing problems - Windows 8 dev b amp subsys b aa Status Flags x a Device Manager status code Iftype Physical Media type Network Diagnostics log B - - A- E - DEE A FDF Diagnose etl Other Networking config amp logs NetworkConfiguration cab Windows version Architecture x I may have deleted some necessary files I did delete two desktop ini files and some other files I have a file recovery program installed though Im not sure what files to look for there I wasn't sure if I had some malware after my SD card showed empty folders even though it shows that the data is there from the size of the disk which is why I know I deleted some things I checked the WLAN Auto Config in Services and tried to reset the TCP stack Two of the messages returned from netsh gave Resetting failed Access Denied not sure if that is normal It's from an Administrator Command Prompt When I tried running system recovery it had a recovery point of a few days previous but it fails on reboot returning a message of your virus checker might be using a necessary file I removed AVG from start up programs but it still returned that message Uninstalling AVG actually fails also Any help at all would be really graciously received Thanks loads

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/73449-wireless-nework-adapter-experiencing-problems-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 46.01%

How do i remove adio ads running in backround. Not exactly good with computers, yet i do watch several movies online and it's playing while my movies are and its extremely annoying

A:Just downloaded windows 7 and am experiencing audio ads running in backround help!

You will have to give us more details.

Where did you download Windows 7 from?
What websites are you watching movies from?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/just-downloaded-windows-7-and-am-experiencing-audio-ads-running-in-backround-help.881877/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello I ve tried googling this little problem of mine every way I can think of and have attacked it from every angle I LAN/NIC lock-up Hard with could come up with but no dice The problem is this When my PC is connected to the internet using the on-board ethernet card the machine locks up frozen screen no HDD activity unresponsive to mouse keyboard This happens after - minutes online and the machine must be rebooted Sometimes it is frozen upon reboot However if I access the internet via a wireless G adapter I have no problems Here is what I have Pentium gigahertz processor p l vxa Hard lock-up with LAN/NIC mainboard with via vt northbridge and vt southbridge chipsets VIA Rhine II fast ethernet adapter on board nvidia geforce fx AGP video adapter Windows XP Pro gigs of ram Belkan f d - wireless G router Webstar cable modem Here are a number of the things I have tried I have updated all pertinent drivers in ethernet card video card I have used different Routers Belkans and one Zyxel No change I have reset my cable Hard lock-up with LAN/NIC modem I have swapped ALL cables I have uninstalled and re-installed onboard lan I have modified the following settings on my adapter Adaptive interrupt connection type I have increased both receive and transmit buffers to the max of from I have now reset all settings since there was no change I have disabled AEGIS QOS and EAPP I rebuilt the TCPIP stack with the quot netsh Hard lock-up with LAN/NIC int ip reset quot command I used the quot set devmgr show nonpresent devices quot command and checked for old Network adapters and drivers I have changed BIOS configuration to reset ECSD to fix any conflicts I couldn t see I have enabled PNP OS setting in BIOS I have manually set IRQ settings in BIOS Windows ignored the changed settings and I didn t want to disable the hardware abstraction layer I reset all BIOS settings to original state since there was no change I have used a DIFFERENT computer with the router and cable modem and the different computer WORKED FINE I swapped out my current hard drive with a back-up hard drive that has the SAME copy of XP installed for this particular machine and it WORKED FINE I have updated and used cw shredder ad-aware spybot windows malicious code removal tool from Microsoft Windows Update AVG and stinger Nothing found I have disabled the on-board LAN adapter and installed a PCI Ethernet card and the problem persisted on the new card I have used REGMON to see which keys are called when the machine freezes The one that catches my eye is HKLM SYSTEM CONTROLSET SERVICES TCPIP LINKAGE BIND and it is listed as a Buffer Overrun but I can t find enough through web searches to know how to look into it further In short if my PC is connected to the net with an Ethernet cable it is unstable All of this leads me to believe that the on-board adapter is not failing and the problem must be windows related If it were spy ware or a virus then why is wireless access unaffected If it is hardware failure then why does the problem go away with a back up installation of windows If it is a hardware conflict then why does it persist when the on-board LAN is disabled and a new adapter is installed on a different IRQ channel If it s a failing Motherboard or bad RAM then why is it so specific to online activities and only using the LAN I ve been baffled by things before but this one has me completely stumped If anyone can at least give me a heads up on something new to try or better way to do the things I have tried I would greatly appreciate the help TIA LRS nbsp

A:Hard lock-up with LAN/NIC

This could be almost anything from bad drivers to bad hardware.

The most direct cure may be to disable the on-board NIC in the BIOS and use a PCI Ethernet board.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-lock-up-with-lan-nic.672443/
Relevancy 46.01%

ok a few months back was getting hard lock up changed the psu to a corsair pc need help hard ups lock rm put a new heat skin on tryed a new drive put a evo ssd in turned the old drive to a slave then took the slave out and put a wester digital in tryed new ram ran disk check windows mem test tryed to one stick test will not crash on prime or anyother benchmark tester tryed my gtx super over clocked no use tryed removing pc hard lock ups need help intel smart connect because it was not working tryed pc hard lock ups need help to remove smart storage replaced the mouse just bought a new case called intel they have me down load a cpu check that they use to check if the cpu is damaged by heat or anything else tryed runing it time it passed all the asrock said it sounds like the bios is set up wrong and its not everything is set for the mobo to auto ajust its runing on ahci or what ever its called it tryed everything i can think of so reinstalled windows times about and just bought a new mobo because all i can think of is ether the bios needs updated or the mobo has some mess up on it wich is all i can think of sent the new board back because it was messed up when i opened it up so i will get the new one in in days but my pc has a asrockz extreme in it now ordered a msi z g but waiting to flash the bios and put the new water cooler on it and put it in the new case just to make shore it works right if i do a bios up date dont work going to rma it to asrock and put msi in it and see if that fixes it tryed everything i couls think of anyone have anythought that can help me out

A:pc hard lock ups need help

Does your keyboard have any punctuation, paragraph, or capitalization capability?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/329487-pc-hard-lock-ups-need-help.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1, but it reset my custom lock screen image.  I tried re-applying it but the lock
screen preview in the settings is stuck on a load loop.  Does anyone know why that is and why it won't set my custom image as the new lock screen image?
i can't find the  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Systemdata, folder,
in my laptop
how to get default lock screen images in 8.1? plz help me..

A:Lock Screen Custom Image Stuck on Load for Windows 8.1, (Can't see the default lock screen images)

Please take a look at this link and it should solve your problem.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/29621-start-screen-set-default-background-image-windows-8-1-a.html

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/686a7601-7dc5-48d1-8cc4-9256deefeaa4/lock-screen-custom-image-stuck-on-load-for-windows-81-cant-see-the-default-lock-screen-images?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 45.58%

Hello,

I use to have a little bit of a problem with BSOD, then I downloaded some a series of malware protection and better antispyware/antivirus and that seemed to do the trick. Didn't get BSOD for a long time. In the last 24 hours I have experienced 3, I'm not sure what is going on. Please see the attached compressed zip file created by SF-Diagnostic Toll.

Thank you in advance for your help, I don't know that much about computers.

Respectfully,

Allen

A:Randomly experiencing BSOD while on the internet/multiple windows open

Please start by first removing the software below. Use Revo Uninstaller Free to uninstall them.

Code:
Start Menu\Programs\Advanced SystemCare 6 Public:Start Menu\Programs\Advanced SystemCare 6 Public
Start Menu\Programs\avast! Free Antivirus Public:Start Menu\Programs\avast! Free Antivirus Public
Start Menu\Programs\Smart Defrag 2 Public:Start Menu\Programs\Smart Defrag 2 Public
Start Menu\Programs\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 Public:Start Menu\Programs\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 Public

Information
Revo Uninstaller
Download and install Revo Uninstaller free from here: Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware

Opt for "Advanced Mode" and uninstall the software (also delete the leftover registry entries).

Start up
Keep less stuff at the start-up. Only anti-virus, this helps avoid driver conflicts and improves time to log in to windows.

Performing a Clean Startup
Startup Programs - Change

Hard Drive/Storage
Post disk summary using CrystalDiskInfo software - CrystalDiskInfo

For how to upload a screenshot or file, read here

Make a Hard Drive test from the mfg website: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

For errors on your Hard drive(s): Disk Check

A "stop 0x124" is fundamentally different to many other types of bluescreens because it stems from a hardware complaint.

Tip
Stop 0x124 minidumps contain very little practical information, and it is therefore necessary to approach the problem as a case of hardware in an unknown state of distress.

You can read more on this error and what to try here... Stop 0x124 - what it means and what to try: Stop 124 - What it means and what to try.

BSOD BUGCHECK SUMMARY

Code:
Debug session time: Wed Jul 10 05:33:31.456 2013 (UTC + 6:00)
Built by: 7601.18113.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:09.595
Probably caused by : AuthenticAMD
BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa80049528f8, 0, 0}
BugCheck Info: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Bugcheck code 00000124
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x124_AuthenticAMD
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRV
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????``
Debug session time: Tue Jul 9 22:03:40.251 2013 (UTC + 6:00)
Built by: 7601.18113.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:09.781
Probably caused by : AuthenticAMD
BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa8004b622e8, 0, 0}
BugCheck Info: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Bugcheck code 00000124
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x124_AuthenticAMD
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRV
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????``

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/296825-randomly-experiencing-bsod-while-internet-multiple-windows-open.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Generally three problems occur I get a random BSOD The computer just hard-locks can't do anything have to reboot The screens go all crazy and hard locks they look a lot like those paintings that you have to stare at BSOD and hard-lock for a long BSOD and hard-lock time to see the picture underneath The computer ran just fine for about months before I started getting these lock ups and BSOD's I do have a child months that would often run up and just push down on the button to turn off the computer I find that my left monitor flickers a little bit when BSOD and hard-lock i have a browser up I RMA'd that and the new one did the same thing so I figured it was something to do with the video card Things I have tried Ran memtest for hours cycled through the tests times no errors RMA'd the board and CPU Installed a friends HD his is the nighthawk version and mine is the normal one possible that the problem caused during this test was a bad stick of ram that I found later Used a different Hard drive can't guarantee that the one I tried was good though so that doesn't mean much Re-installed windows about or times sometimes not installing any drivers sometimes installing all that I could find sometimes installing older versions of drivers AMD instead of video card sometimes installing vista and then upgrading it to sometimes just running vista Whenever I installed a new driver I would go launch driver sweeper and make sure the old one was deleted first Basically I am at a loss and I would appreciate the help Thank-you all in advance

A:BSOD and hard-lock

Quote: Originally Posted by BradleyJG8

Generally three problems occur.

1. I get a random BSOD
2. The computer just hard-locks, can't do anything have to reboot.
3. The screens go all crazy and hard locks (they look a lot like those paintings that you have to stare at for a long time to see the picture underneath)

The computer ran just fine for about 2 months before I started getting these lock ups and BSOD's, I do have a child (14 months) that would often run up and just push down on the button to turn off the computer.
I find that my left monitor flickers a little bit when i have a browser up, I RMA'd that and the new one did the same thing so I figured it was something to do with the video card.
Things I have tried.

1. Ran memtest86 for 8 hours, cycled through the tests 4 times, no errors
2. RMA'd the board and CPU
3. Installed a friends HD 5770 (his is the nighthawk version and mine is the normal one)...possible that the problem caused during this test was a bad stick of ram that I found later.
4. Used a different Hard drive (can't guarantee that the one I tried was good though, so that doesn't mean much)
5. Re-installed windows 7 about 4 or 5 times, sometimes not installing any drivers sometimes installing all that I could find, sometimes installing older versions of drivers (AMD 11.5 instead of 11.6...video card), sometimes installing vista and then upgrading it to 7, sometimes just running vista.
6. Whenever I installed a new driver I would go launch driver sweeper and make sure the old one was deleted first.
Basically I am at a loss and I would appreciate the help, Thank-you all in advance

Start here
1-ASACPI.SYS a major cause of BSOD's in the 2005 rev. Yours is 2005.

The pre 2009 version of this driver is a known BSOD cause.

The 2005 version of this driver is a known BSOD cause.
Please visit this link: ASUS teK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P7P55D LE
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P7P55D LE

Scroll down to the Utilities category, then scroll down to the "ATK0110 driver for WindowsXP/Vista/Windows 7 32&64-bit" (it's about the 12th item down).
Download and install it.
Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers to check and make sure that the ASACPI.sys file is date stamped from 2009 or 2010 (NOT 2005).

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/177636-bsod-hard-lock.html
Relevancy 45.58%

i have a 2007 dell xps 420 with windows vista i get a blue screen and it says hard drive lock up. i cant even wipe it or do anything, is there a way to fix or should i just trash hard drive and by a new one. the error code is 2000-0146.

Relevancy 45.58%

As Windows starts to load it loads for a minute and then it just hangs and if I wait long enough it will blue screen me quot cannot write to drive C files may be lost quot Its a gig WD drive and I up hard new = lock drives have had no problems with it at all until now I have tried formatting fdisking it scandisking it reports no problems and reinstalling windows but when windows loads for the first time it hangs then gives me the same blue screen error So I install Windows on my gig SCSI drive and new hard drives = lock up it runs fine other then when new hard drives = lock up you try to read write to the gig drive it locks up and in Windows and gives me the blue screen error I have an old Gig IDE hard drive that I tried and it works fine even on the same cable with the gig So I take a DIFFERENT WD drive and try to install windows on it and the same thing happens when windows boots for the first time it hangs and gives me the blue screen error Trying to access the gig drive from the boot SCSI drive causes windows to lock up and give me the blue screen error Also booting to DOS works but sometimes copying files causes either new drive to lock up Could this somehow be that my computer is conflicting with the DMA My motherboard doesn t support ATA- so I am just running it on a normal EIDE cable I have also tried replacing that cable I have also tried my hard drive in another computer where it works fine I am very confused about what this may be The only thing I can think of is my IDE controller being messed up but then why does my old hard drive and CD-ROM on it work fine Oh yeah and my relevant hardware is P - PC Chips M MB Adaptec SCSI controller I have tried removing all hardware including the SCSI controller other than the video card RAM and the hard drives one at a time in question and reinstalling windows then but the same thing happens Windows hangs on boots and gives me an error I m almost sure it is not the hard drives and it is my MB Thanks ------------------ -PoderOmega This message has been edited by PoderOmega edited - - nbsp

A:new hard drives = lock up

My money is on the IDE controller. PC Chips motherboard are known for having problems.

Smaller hard drives and CDs are accessed quite differently than the larger ones, so the IDE channel could partly work and give the results you are getting.

Have you tried the WD diagnostics program yet?
http://www.wdc.com/service/ftp/drives.html#dlgtools

In your case I would run a full test and a write zeros to drive, since you are having write errors. Of course, this erases the drive, but unless I misunderstood, they are pretty much empty anyway.

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site every day: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-hard-drives-lock-up.34536/
Relevancy 45.58%

ok how do you lock a hard drive totally so that only administrators can use it. I'm using Windows XP Home. I have an example of kinda what i want to do below:

^^ i want to create a pop-up screen and everything^^

Relevancy 45.15%

Hello all I have a custom PC running Windows and it is just a little over one year old I have never really system Hard on lock-up custom had any issues with it however last night it had a hard lock-up I was browsing through Ebay listings on Firefox when I noticed it suddenly froze After about a minute I hit control-alt-delete to attempt to bring up the task manager to try to close Firefox manually After about - seconds it responded and when I hit task Hard lock-up on custom system manager it froze once more and would not bring it up On the screen the task manager button appeared pushed down as it does when it is clicked on if that makes sense I let it sit there Hard lock-up on custom system for about one minute and then did a soft power-off I restarted the system and of course got the old Windows did not shut down normally message and opted to start the system in normal mode It started normally Suspecting it might have been malware I ran scans with Kaspersky Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro They all came up clean I am also running Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit There are no other symptoms of malware either Does anybody have any ideas what may have caused this and if it might be indictive of a larger issue or if it may just be a one-time glitch I am planning to do a complete back-up of both drives just in case I know systems tend to have minds of their own but I'm not quite sure how to diagnose something like this and to determine if it's cause for worry or not Here are the specs of the system Windows Home Edition TB HDD - GB SSD AMD FX -core processor GB Ram Any insight would be greatly appreciated

A:Hard lock-up on custom system

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:  List last 10 Event Viewer log  List Installed Programs  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
 Click Go and paste the content into your next post.
 Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573818/hard-lock-up-on-custom-system/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,

I have very annoying problem with 7 #7000/#7100 (not present in XP or Vista) - on random intervals, a couple of times per day the hard drive just blocks with it's LED constantly on. Windows still responds, except for operations involving the hard drive (like opening Explorer) - every program that reads from HDD just becomes "Not responding". Exactly after 2 minutes, everything is back to normal.

Drivers are installed, there are no unknown devices in Device manager.
The laptop is http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=1844615&lc=en&cc=nz&dlc=en〈=en&cc=nz - Centrino Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB SATA HDD.

Any ideas?

Relevancy 45.15%

I do suspect the hard drive Hard 'Clonk' then Up Drive Lock is snookered but I m Hard Drive 'Clonk' then Lock Up hoping it may not be hence my post here I m an avid World of Warcraft player have been for years I always had WoW on the Slave drive as it saved me time in reinstalling the whole gb worth Recently I ve noticed a clunk noise from the drivebay whilst playing WoW the mouse freezes and the game locks up Hard Drive 'Clonk' then Lock Up Alt tab isn t possible nor is Alt F - I end up having to press the dreaded Reset button Initially I thought it may be the Slave drive so I removed that from the system and reinstalled the whole game onto the Master drive I ran without mods and after a few moments clunk problem reoccured So I am a little confused If WoW was running from the slave drive initially how would the game crash if the Master is the defective bit of hardware Does WoW use the Master drive as a memory cache I ll post my specs below it s an old PC but not had any real problems up until recently Abit NF -S nForce can t seem to find newer drivers Legacy apparently now but nVidia s site doesn t list them when you click their link AMD Athlon XP running at ghz GeForce FX Ultra gb DDR PC pin sticks of Windows XP Home with SP regulary updated patched Hitachi HDP GLA SCSI There s no visible error messages but one thing I will mention is this PC has been acting up for a while now I ve installed Windows on this system around times now due to errors at boot One occasion after a Scandisk the report threw up a good errors on the Master drive I apologise for not being massively thorough with the specs I m a bit of a know nothing when it comes to PCs Thanks muchly nbsp

A:Hard Drive 'Clonk' then Lock Up

You're experiencing a hard crash of the system and if it only ever happens with WOW, then its game-related; something about its installation doesn't agree with your system and is causing "idigestion." If it crashes at other times with the same sound you might be hearing the read heads park in emergency self-preservation mode-depends on how loud. The cause could be just about anything software or hardware related since everything is so interconnected in a computer system.

Since you say its been acting up and reinstalling Windows doesn't seem to help all that much you may have a faulty hardware component, power supply, memory, motherboard, data/power cable, hard drive. Its difficult to say for sure what it might be but you can try reseating everything, check the thermal paste condition between heat sink and processor and clean the dust bunnies out of the cooling fins; test some things like the memory (MemTest), hard drive (SeaTools long test) and swap the data cable to the drive. Other things are more difficult to test (power supply, motherboard, graphics card) so we generally just try swapping them out and see if the problem goes away.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-clonk-then-lock-up.835150/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have Windows XP. I performed a few Restore Points over the past several months as I installed new software. I just noticed that my desktop now shows all of these Restore Points , and they look like icons on my desktop.

Since they look like shortcuts, I right clicked and was going to delete them. I did not want these icons cluttering the desktop. If I send these to the recycle bin, does that mean I simply got rid of the shortcut, or will I have deleted the restore point altogether ?

Thanks

A:windows xp - desk top

If they have the tiny arrow on them, you can safely delete them. Hedge by sending them to the Recycle Bin though. Let's not be too daring.

Now, I'd like to know why that happened. Did it just pop up one day or did it do that from the get go?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-desk-top.198021/
Relevancy 44.72%

Dear Tech support,

Cannot get to windows7 desktop there is an alarm that rings but I can get to the desk top on occasion but it seems like now the I cannot get the arrow keys to click on the windows 7 system menu or the launch repair menu or any thing but the front splash screen .I cannot get into f8 or f2 set up.Is there a disk that can bridge the gap and get me into windows7 desk top menu.by the way this is an acer computer a laptop.

A:cannot get to windows 7 desk top

What does this "alarm" sound like? Is it a system beep? If so, you probably have a hardware issue. It could be as simple as a bad keyboard, which would also explain the issue with the arrow keys.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-get-to-windows-7-desk-top-584143.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I have locked the HDD by mistake, it ask me password every minute I turn on my computer. the good news is: I know password, but the computer is for illiterate man, he shouldn't be able understand it if POST has password for HDD.

I can get into BIOS setup,security, HDD security and then reseted to user default. nothing changed.

I have also reset all BIOS settings to factory default, save changes and exit. it's stills asking me password to unlock hard disk drive.

Is there any option that can unlock it from registry?
any-help is appreciate

A:Solved: Hard disk drive lock?

I've never used a HDD password, but perhaps if you change the current password, but specify the new one as blank (just leave both the new and re-type new boxes blank), that might remove it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-disk-drive-lock.849890/
Relevancy 44.29%

how can i lock with a password just like we do it on folder ... is there any special software for these kind of thing...if u gus know any please let me know

A:How can i lock my hard disk(internal) with a password

Welcome,

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source Disk Encryption - Documentation - Tutorial

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/212303-how-can-i-lock-my-hard-disk-internal-password.html
Relevancy 44.29%

My pc has been running fine for a couple of years and then recently it's started to just completely lock the entire OS while I'm using it It never happens when it's idle it only happens when I'm / hard lock total Random freeze using it and it just completely freezes everything the mouse keyboard etc and NOTHING is responsive It even Random total freeze / hard lock spins up the internal fans on the desktop case until I hit restart I've followed the instructions on this thread http www techsupportforum com foru ta- html And attached is the zip with the perfmon html file and the output folder from the bsod file collection app And the following is the info from the other thread as well Windows Home Premium bit this is the original OS that came with the system OEM OS installation - years old system still using the OS came with system never formatted reinstalled cpu - AMD Phenom II x gpu - nvidia geforce gtx ti MotherBoard - how do I Random total freeze / hard lock find this Power Supply - brand amp wattage - how do I find this too System Manufacturer amp Random total freeze / hard lock Exact model number -- Microtel AMTI Desktop computer Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks very much

A:Random total freeze / hard lock

As a follow up, it happened again this morning, while playing a game. I tried to change resolution in the game to go down a notch to get smoother framerate and BAM the sound got stuck on infinite 1 second repeat, and no cursor or keyboard or system responses.

This makes me think it's gotta be graphics driver, right? I also looked up in the event viewer, and every single time this happens, the system registers event id 6008, source: event log, level: error. For the details of this it gives the following details:

HTML Code:
Log Name: System
Source: EventLog
Date: 12/23/2013 10:18:49 AM
Event ID: 6008
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: TARDIS
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 10:16:07 AM on ‎12/‎23/‎2013 was unexpected.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="EventLog" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32768">6008</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-12-23T15:18:49.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>92203</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>TARDIS</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>10:16:07 AM</Data>
<Data>‎12/‎23/‎2013</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>60215</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Binary>DD070C00010017000A0010000700DB01DD070C00010017000F0010000700DB013C0000003C000000000000000000000000000000000000000100000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>
Does that help?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/random-total-freeze-hard-lock-768666.html
Relevancy 44.29%

"Performance power management features on processor 3 in group 0 are disabled due to a firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware."

I've had 180 of these since February! I've tried tonnes of malware cleaning / fixing, driver updates, and sfc fixes, but still getting these usually when gaming.

I've attached a zip of SF Diags folder.

Please help!

A:Event ID 35 resulting in hard lock of system

Don't be concerned about errors in the Event Viewer unless you are having problems (I said this without looking at the reports that you've uploaded).
This error in particular is saying that you may need a BIOS/UEFI update.
Once that's been updated to the latest version - don't worry about it anymore (again, unless you're having problems).

Your BIOS dates from 2011. Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any BIOS updates available for your system. Also check the readme file to see if they apply to the problems that you are having. Please be advised that flashing the BIOS is a very unforgiving process - and one mistake can physically damage your motherboard.

You have a Realtek RTL8188SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter:

I do not recommend using wireless USB network devices. Especially in Win8/8.1 systems.
These wireless USB devices have many issues with Win7 and later - using Vista drivers with them is almost sure to cause a BSOD.
Should you want to keep using these devices, be sure to have Win8/8.1 drivers - DO NOT use Vista drivers!!!
An installable wireless PCI/PCIe card that's plugged into your motherboard is much more robust, reliable, and powerful.

These devices have problems in Device Manager:

Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Default Miniport ROOT\NET\0000 This device is disabled.
Microsoft Hyper-V Network Switch Default Miniport ROOT\VMS_MP\0000 This device is disabled.

Please right click on each device and select "Uninstall". Reboot the system and see if these devices return. If they do, please post back for further suggestions.

Lot's of STOP 0x116 and 0x124 errors in the WER section of MSINFO32. This is suggestive of (IMO) hardware problems with your video card (although it can be other problems also). Please start with the diagnostics here (start with the video tests, but complete them all as they can all affect the video): Hardware Diagnostics

Also, here's a troubleshooting guide for STOP 0x116 errors: Video TDR Timeout - 0x116 + 0x117 - Sysnative Forums

MSI Afterburner (along with Riva Tuner and EVGA Precision) are known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys). Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting. Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

AMD OverDrive (AODDriver2.sys) is either a stand-alone application, or a component of the AMD VISION Engine Control Center. This driver is known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems.
NOTE: these symptoms were from the previous release of OverDrive. The new release uses the same driver name, but is dated from 4 November 2013.

Please un-install all AMD/ATI video stuff from Control Panel...Programs...Un-install a program
Then, download (but DO NOT install) a fresh copy of the ATI drivers from Global Provider of Innovative Graphics, Processors and Media Solutions | AMD (in the upper right corner of the page)
Use this procedure to install the DRIVER ONLY: ATI video cards - DRIVER ONLY installation procedure - Sysnative Forums

If the device (AODDriver or AODDriver4.01) remains a problem, open Device Manager, select the "View" item.
Then select "Show hidden devices" and scroll down to the Non-Plug and Play Drivers section.
Locate the AODDriver entry, right click on it and select "Un-install". Reboot for changes to take affect.

Sometimes the driver remains and continues to cause BSOD's. If this is the case for you, post back and we'll give further instructions for safely removing it.

If overclocking, please stop. Remove the overclock and return the system to stock/standard values while we're troubleshooting. Once the system is stable again, feel free to resume the overclocking.

Please update these older drivers. Links... Read more

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/44749-event-id-35-resulting-hard-lock-system.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I have been trying to set up a simple desktop computer for my office out of spare parts. I installed XP professional on a SSD and then moved the drive to another MB to try it and the CPU it has on it. The drive would not work on that MB, so I moved the drive back to the original MB. Now it will not make it past the post screen there.

I had XP Pro. installed on a old HD and it would work on either MB.

Is it going to be a headache trying to swap around and assemble the best components? Should I not swap parts around, but assemble what should be the best and "then" install the OS?

Thanks, Deron.

A:XP security, does it lock you out when you move hard drive?

You need to clean install XP after assembling the hardware. Moving XP from one hardware type to another can give you issues as during the install XP uses drivers for the hardware it detects. When moving to a different MB you will have booting issues along with activation problems.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616166/xp-security-does-it-lock-you-out-when-you-move-hard-drive/
Relevancy 44.29%

I've searched up and down the Internet for information on an issue like this but it's very nature has made it very difficult to really find anything at all So I've decided that coming to a forum where people really know what they're talking about is about my best bet I'll do my best to provide as much information as I can but forgive me if there's something vital you think I've left out Just make me aware and I'll provide as much information as I can Also thank you very much for taking the time to read my post and help with my problem The actual issue that occurs works something like this There are two major things that happen one the system stops accepting input from either the mouse or keyboard completely Even the num lock caps lock and scroll lock strange psudo-hard-lock problem. Very buttons will not function i e toggle said lights on the keyboard This means that when the lock occurs alt-tab ctrl-alt-delete and such commands are useless The second occurrence is a sudden distortion Very strange psudo-hard-lock problem. in the sound It will become in an instant very garbled and echo a small bit However despite these two issues anything that happens to be running at the time of the lock Very strange psudo-hard-lock problem. will continue to run without issue At first I was convinced it was simply a problem with the game World of Warcraft because that was the only time I had encountered it When the lock occurred my game would continue to run without issue The chat box kept scrolling my character animated everything was fine apart from not being able to do anything and the sound being funky But then the lock happened when I was just browsing the internet However both times I was watching some form of streaming video like youtube And again the video continued to play unabated save for the messed up sound I recently switched from Windows XP to XP x and did so with a system format The issue started after this switch I've got all of my system's drivers installed and all the hardware runs just fine But I do have a single unknown device in my device manager list See image I've tried all the troubleshooting I could find about unknown devices and because I haven't found any solutions either through safe-mode or services management and all of my hardware is to my knowledge functioning I've been unable to solve this issue as well Though it was my instinct that the two issues were likely unrelated Below is a short rundown of my system and I've also attached my dxdiag file Thanks for any help you may be able to offer and don't hesitate to ask me for more information Windows XP x Asus M A-T Delux AMD Phenom Quad Core at ghz gig RAM Radeon HD x in Crossfire Corsair TX w PSU

A:Very strange psudo-hard-lock problem.

Have you tried using a different keyboard? Just to verify that it's not the keyboard acting up?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/very-strange-psudo-hard-lock-problem-379349.html
Relevancy 44.29%

i am currently using windows XP operating system some time i am feel problem regarding protection of hard disk drive data and blockage flash drive virus through usb port plese let me know that how to lock usb ports & Fat32 drives and protect with password in windows Xp

A:USB lock & computer Hard disk drives

I would reccomend installing a good antivirus program.Unless you are going to be using lots of usb flash drives from different people or use the flash drive in lots of dodgy machines, you are more likely to get a virus online than via a flash drive.Some antiviruses (Kapersky comes to mind) will ask you every time you plug in a flash drive if you want to scan it before use. It does not have a password prompt however, and I am not aware of any software that does that (but there is most likely SOMETHING out there).EDIT: I am not 100% sure what you are asking for...If you are after something to prevent others from accessing data on your flash drives then something like truecrypt may be of more use.The only disadvantage is that you will need the software on all computers that you plan to connect the flash drive to.message edited by thomasad

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/usb-lock-computer-hard-disk-drives/203160.html
Relevancy 44.29%

first post Hello new here So I have had Windows Ultimate Running BSOD) (no hard and memory of lock out x installed for about weeks now and it has been running great Games have been running fairly well even with my mediocre video card set up I understand that with x that it's suggested that you run gigs Running out of memory and hard lock (no BSOD) of ram and I am only running gigs temporarily I have had no memory problems up until today For some reason I am totally running out of free memory and my memory usage is sitting around - as opposed to the - that its been sitting at for the last weeks Also i have noticed a spike in my cpu usage and temperature even while there are no quot active quot programs running It was around - and it now stays around - After about mins of use the rig will totally use up all of the memory and hard lock causing me to have to hit the reset button No BSOD just freezed right where it's at According to task manager and resource monitor there should be no reason for these spikes in my cpu and memory usages I am currently about to run a serious of malware and virus scans but was looking for some other suggestions Any help is greatly appreciated

A:Running out of memory and hard lock (no BSOD)

Run a full anti virus scan
Download and run malwarbytes. Make a full scan after updating ( I see that you have these steps covere)
Download memtest86 and test RAM
www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html
Type process explorer in search to determing what is using ram

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/125327-running-out-memory-hard-lock-no-bsod.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello,

I am using folder lock 6.0 to lock folder on my two laptops. I have a WD External hard drive. I want to lock (password protect) some folders on the portable/external harddrive. I don't want aany encryption because I may forgot the password and may not be able to recover data. I also don't want to lock complete partition. I just want to make it hidden/password protected from casual users. Is it possible using folder lock? It has a portability feature but it requires to transfer all data to a locker. I have a very large amount of data which I want to lock (~100GB). Folder lock has a feature to lock any folder on hard drive but it dosn't work when it is external/portable hard drive.

Any help?

Thanks,
Alex

A:Folder Lock on External Hard Drive

i use winmend folder hidden which is a similar software it works fine with externals and free
http://www.winmend.com/folder-hidden/

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/175670-folder-lock-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello --

I have installed Win7 Virtual PC and Windows XP mode. The resulting default virtual hard drive is a differencing drive set up on the host (parent) drive C:.

The help file states, "Important - We recommend that you write-protect or lock the parent disk before using the differencing disk. Otherwise, if the parent disk is modified by some other process, any differencing disk related to it becomes invalid, and all data written to the differencing disk is lost."

What modifications to the parent disk does this refer to? For example, should I be concerned about
- Installing new software?
- Defragmenting?
- Changing the partition size?
- What other modifications?

Thanks.

Relevancy 43.86%

hey guys, im getting this error C:\WINDOWS\System32\desk.cpl.
when i click on control panel or right click on desktop then properties. This happens as soon as i do these motions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been in my RegistryEdit to delete some games that wheren't totally uninstalling for some reason, would this have anything to do with this error? I was reading something about the error is my video driver though so i don't know whats up. plz help thx

A:C:\WINDOWS\System32\desk.cpl.

Hi Boogieman,

See if this helps.
Start > Run > type (or copy and paste)
sfc /scannow
>enter.

NOTE***
For sfc /scannow with regular install cd after SP1 is installed. This is a quote from
Kelly of Kelly's corner.

Put the regular CD in the drive first, exit its Autorun, then run the
SFC. It should then find the SP1 files in the Windows\ServicepackFiles
folder, and go on from there to the versions on the regular CD.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-windows-system32-desk-cpl.143546/
Relevancy 43.86%

windows xp service pac 2 my grand son was using office when the desktop and functions(mouse) shifted 90 degree. to use properly the monitor is turned on its side.rebooting did not help

A:windows xp desk top at 90 degree

Hi and Welcome to TSG!

FIrst the basic suggestion. Press ctrl + alt and any of the arrow keys.

Now the advanced stuff if the above doesn't work, check your graphics card settings.

Do you happen to know what graphics card you have?
If not go to start > run > type dxdiag
When asked click yes
Wait for it to finish the scan, and then go to the display 1 tab, and tell me the manufacturer and name.

Kind Regards
Anthony

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-desk-top-at-90-degree.533505/
Relevancy 43.86%

My desk top assist dose not show any programs when you go to the ALL PROGRAMS tab. They where there one day and gone the next. This did not happen until I updated Disk Top Assist at the Toshiba web site.
Thanks
Psa19

A:windows 8.1 and desk top assist.

hello and

if you would like you can try to do a system restore to a point before this had happened. to do this in windows 8, please follow the below guide

3. While on your desktop, open the Charms Bar, click/tap on the Settings charm, click/tap on Control Panel,NOTE: You could also press the Windows + I keys to open directly to the Settings charm.

Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the System icon,

5. Click/tap on the System protection link in the left pane. (see screenshot below)

6. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.7. Click/tap on the System Restore button. (see screenshot below)NOTE: You will not see this screen if you did step 4. If you did step 4, then skip this step and go to step 8.

8. If displayed, click/tap on Next, and go to step 10. (see screenshot below)NOTE: You will only see this screen if this is the first time that system restore is being done in Windows 8.

9. Select (dot) Choose a different restore point, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

10. Select a restore point that you would like to restore your computer state back to, and click/tap on the Scan for affected programs button. (see screenshot below)NOTE: If displayed, check the Show other restore points box to be able to see any older restore points (if available) that are not listed.

11. Verify that the listed affected programs and drivers to be deleted and restored will be ok to you, and click/tap on Close. (see screenshot below)NOTE: If not, then click/tap on Close and go back to step 10 to select another restore point.

12. When ready, click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below step 10)13. Click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)NOTE: The listed drives here will be restored back to the state of when the selected restore point was created.

14. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)WARNING: This will immediately restart your computer to finish the system restore.

15. After the computer has restarted and you opened the Desktop (Windows+D) next, click/tap on the Close button. (see screenshot below)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/527185/windows-81-and-desk-top-assist/
Relevancy 43.86%

WHEN I TURN ON MY COMPUTER IT SAY LOADING WINDOWS BUT NEVER LOADS. THIS IS MY DESK TOP COMPUTER  CODE JVHVKSI... PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO.
EMAIL ADDRESS - <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19994407
Relevancy 43.86%

The mother board on the computer went bad, Windows XP had a password protect on it. I tried to take out the hard drive from the broken computer, and make it an external drive. However, I am having a hard time getting the files off the hard drive. I can not open the user folder. Please, someone help me to get the files off the hard drive.

Thanks
rick

A:HP Pavilion Desk Top Windows XP

It has nothing to do with a user password. Can you see the folders you want to open? What happens when you try? Home or Pro?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-pavilion-desk-top-windows-xp.705343/
Relevancy 43.86%

I have an old computer with Windows Xp and when I boot up I can't get the desk top screen. The computer will show the screen saver. I try starting in Safe mode F8 and can only get the screen saver.
I get this error message 3da Run-time 5 Invalid procedure call or argument

Relevancy 43.86%

Does anyone know how to un-instal Windows desk top search?
It is not in Add or Remove neither is it in All Programs. It resides in a folder in Program Files, if you try to delete it there, it starts to delete then stops access denied.
It appears in Task Manager as 'searchfilterhost.exe'
It is a Windows add on.

Thanks in advance.

Ron.

A:Windows Desk top search

Look in Add/Remove for Windows Search 4. I'm not sure if it's not there it can me removed since some optional downloads are permanent, however what seals it are MS Updates after the install, so deleting all of those should allow deleting in Program Files, then re-downloading the updates (a real time waster).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-desk-top-search-525458.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have an acer aspire one netbook.  It has a password on the hard drive and I don't know the password so it will not boot.  Is there anyway around this security lock. Thanks

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/can-the-hard-dive-password-security-lock-be-disabled-on-an/td-p/459248
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello everyone about a day or two ago I started noticing that my mouse would freeze for about half a second every couple of minutes or so It first occurred while I was playing Heroes of the Storm after a couple of temporary perhaps or so mouse freezes it would hard-lock my computer and I would be unable to alt tab ctrl alt del however I can still see the screen moving as the game progresses I noticed that so far the hard-lock only occurred when Firefox was also running however it could also just be a coincidence I ve scanned my computer using Avast Malwarebytes and they did not come up with anything The mouse freezes occur the most when I m in a game of Heroes sometimes on Mouse disconnects, screen. hard-lock periodically of the Storm I would still say once every couple of minutes and only for about half a second and it ll keep doing it repeatedly or hard-lock the screen So far I ve tried turning off the saving power options on the USB drives but I doubt that s what s Mouse periodically disconnects, sometimes hard-lock on screen. causing it The only thing major that I considered I did was installing Hola Unblocker and added string quot xpinstall enabled quot to my about config on Mozilla due to not being able to see the Hola icon however I ve already reset the string If anyone is able to help out with this problem I d greatly appreciate it nbsp

A:Mouse periodically disconnects, sometimes hard-lock on screen.

First and easiest step is to try another mouse and see if the issue remains or goes away. That will determine if we are looking at a hardware or a software problem (and sometimes in rare cases, both).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mouse-periodically-disconnects-sometimes-hard-lock-on-screen.1148096/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,

Since upgrading from windows XP to windows 7 I've experienced several issues:

When browsing windows explorer it's quick to return the following error message

Usually after closing the program it then creates further issues such as right click lock ups on sub folders which I have to start task manager to physically end task on a sub folder that's stopped responding just to get rid of the window.

Another issue which seem to be permanent is when I resume computer from stand by or hibernation it shows BSOD then restarts I'm not sure if all these problems are related but I eventually plan on fresh formatting my pc but I'm just hoping that I won't encounter or experience the same issues.

Additional info:
Operating System:
Windows 7 Ultimate

Processor:
Intel Pentium 4 2.93GHz

Ram:
1.00GB

System type:
32-bit Operating System
Thanks for help

A:Explorer right click lock ups and hard drives not always displaying

Since you're getting BSODs and plan a clean install, you'd be best off to go that route right away, rather than spend a lot of time trying to clean this up.

To bump performance a notch or two, add more memory, as 1GB is slim for running Windows 7 without a lot of hard drive thrash.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/279844-explorer-right-click-lock-ups-hard-drives-not-always-displaying.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Dear All,
I'm using my company poratble hard disk.
This portable hard disk is moving person to person and contains all colleagues data.
I want to protect my own data folders so that no one can access.

Is there any way that i can protect my folder ?

Please help.

Rgds,
Aligahk06

A:I want to lock my folder that is saved in Portable hard disk.

Try Truecrypt. It makes encrypted folders.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-want-to-lock-my-folder-that-is-saved-in-portable-hard-disk.943510/
Relevancy 43.86%

It's fairly predictable in that it will occur However viewing error logs Event Viewer Reliability Monitor looking in minidump folder actually getting an no BCCode playing 3 lock, 117 while BSOD) Battlefield (Hard error report is very hit and miss Most often I actually don't get anything - but there are a few BCCode s of note BCCode 117 while playing Battlefield 3 (Hard lock, no BSOD) I know this is a TDR Crash It all started shortly after the patch and latest DLC download in June I had about four days of good gaming and then this became a regular event I have went through a list of troubleshooting and quot fixes quot that at this point I can hardly remember the majority of what I have tried - and none of it has made a lick of difference except possibly delaying how long it takes BCCode 117 while playing Battlefield 3 (Hard lock, no BSOD) An important note this is something I get in both the Single Player Campaign and Multiplayer modes Originally I ran with a GHz x overclock and used Afterburner to OC the GPUs This was all fine and dandy from BF 's launch in October through mid-June Since then I have disabled most background processes stopped a few services uninstalled various drivers switched from onboard Realtek audio to a Creative X-Fi PCI card from that I had sitting unused in my old PC build updated and downgraded drivers uninstalled a few applications upgraded to BIOS for my Asus P Z -Deluxe motherboard eventually dropped all overclocks which allows me to play longer now I might add but the system still hard-locks I had conducted stress tests LinX Prime with overclocks following the BIOS upgrade tested GPUs ran MemTest overnight had or passes tried running memory at DDR - Corsair x GB - - - - T V XMP DDR - changed voltages until I reset to quot Optimized Defaults quot in BIOS though I am currently set to DDR - along with changing what I did or didn't need in BIOS like RAID vs AHCI and disabling a few onboard things etc I installed Debug Tools to see if I could make any sense from the few recent minidumps in the zip are some older minidumps anything before June th is irrelevant and unrelated but they just confirmed the standard Nvidia driver is responsible blah blah blah I know TDR crashes like this can be more complex than that and I assume some driver is likely causing conflicts I'd like to blame the latest additions to the BF codebase - but that also means I admit defeat and must wait until the next patch with it unlikely being solved I assume the latest patch did change something that when it was fine before now causes a few things to no longer play nice together As far as Nvidia drivers I had been running Beta for the longest while and they ran quite well for my purposes After the BF issues began I switched to WHQL then to Beta and then WHQL then to the most recent Beta and now I've settled back to WHQL Not one had any impact on this particular problem And I used Driver Sweeper recently have been using Driver Fusion it's successor and have used CCleaner to clear up tracks with strong reservations - I've learned many lessons in regards to the Registry - and I haven't made anything worse just not any better either though I did fix an audio driver issue I was having Anyway hope you can make some sense of it all and hopefully something jumps out at you when looking at the drivers and minidumps

A:BCCode 117 while playing Battlefield 3 (Hard lock, no BSOD)

Bump, just in case this got buried too far back and before anyone had a chance to take a good look.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/242975-bccode-117-while-playing-battlefield-3-hard-lock-no-bsod.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have an XP desktop SP-3, stand-alone, no domain or network.

I have 2 users: Admin (Computer Admin) and Staff (Limited),

I want ?Staff? to be able to login and only Read from CD/DVD, no writing

I want ?Staff? to be able to login and not be able to write to C: hard drive

Thanks

A:[SOLVED] XP Lock User CD/DVD Write and Hard Drive

I'm not sure about the CD/DVD drive, but on note about the hard drive. Right click on your hard drive in My Computer, Properties. Then click the Security tab at the top. That should allow you to set the proper permissions.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-xp-lock-user-cd-dvd-write-and-hard-drive-520267.html
Relevancy 43.86%

After a few seconds even sometimes at the WoW and in pixilation lock Starting ends up up screen hard login screen my whole screen gets wild bars of pixilated colors and sometimes i can close it in time before the hardlock but sometimes it goes into a black screen and goes back into a hard lock After i reboot my computer my load up screen becomes very pixilated There are black and white checkered pixilation even when it shows the stats of my computer and it will end up going to the blue screen of death and rebooting until the screen is back to normal then it will load up normally Ive tried using previous NVIDIA drivers and the newest ones I use the NVIDIA GT My fans are normal my video card never goes past degrees and i checked all my other temperatures and their all normal AMD Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor GHz GB RAM -bit Operating system Dell Insipiron Video card NVIDIA GeForce GT Dell use to be windows vista then i tried fixing it by upgrading to windows but made no difference Ive tried cleaning it and dusting it took out all ram and video cards using dust canister and putting it back in but nothing worked I dont do any type of overclocking and this started happening at random i usually play WoW very smoothly and had no previous problems and Starting up WoW ends up in screen pixilation and hard lock this problem had suddenly come up also tried using driver sweeper uninstalling driver and reinstalling it from NVIDIA CDS Ive tried everything please help nbsp

Relevancy 43.43%

can this printer also operates with windows 10 or not

Solved!
View Solution.

A:can hp desk jet 2130 all in one operate with windows 10

khan-1234 Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!To answer your question -- YES -- but you need to use the HP software and drivers, not the one supplied by Microsoft. Here is the drivers and software page for that printer: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-DeskJet-2130-All-in-One-Printer-series/7174550/model/7174551 You need to download and install the Full Feature Software and Drivers for the printer. Then, disconnect the printer and install the software. Do not reconnect the printer until the installer prompts for it. After the install is done, reboot. You should then be able to use your printer in Win10.Good Luck

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/can-hp-desk-jet-2130-all-in-one-operate-with-windows-10/td-p/5785281
Relevancy 43.43%

I have the follwing PC http support hp com us-en product HP-ENVY- - -Desktop-PC-series model more-opt nbsp How do get key will product Desk... "ENVY for new How my Windows the I I get the Windows product key that is embedded in the BIOS How will I get the Windows product key for my new "ENVY Desk... nbsp The reason I ask is that I will need that to activate Windows if my activation gets hosed and I have to re-activate the Windows installed on this system nbsp Here is what happened to me recently with another PC Samsung nbsp I DON T want to go through something similar with my How will I get the Windows product key for my new "ENVY Desk... new HP nbsp Background I have an old Samsung laptop that came with Win updated to Win along the way nbsp In January MS upgraded this to Win and activated Win in that process months later now Settings Activation says that the Windows is not activated and asks me to activate it When I try to manually activate Windows I get the following error Windows cannot activate now nbsp Try activating again later If that doesn't work contact support Error code xC F After trying for a week I call MS Tech Support nbsp They said that the system does not recognize my Windows installation as genuine and advises me to get the OEM Windows serial from Samsung nbsp There are no stickers on the laptop with that serial nbsp The serial is installed in the BIOS apparently and there is no easy way to get it using various tools nbsp MS says that Samsung should be able to give that to me if I give them the serial of the laptop No dice nbsp Samsung tech support says that they are unable unwilling to give me that OEM serial and that I will have to restore the PC to factory conditions using the hidden partition on the hard drive I did that losing all my apps and settings and files in the process besides files I backed up nbsp This process does upgrade to Windows successfully nbsp However I had to start all over again ------- nbsp So will HP provide me with the Windows product key if I give them the PC's serial Is there a tool or any other way of getting the serial embedded in the BIOS nbsp Thanks Aloke

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/How-will-I-get-the-Windows-product-key-for-my-new-quot-ENVY/td-p/5632013
Relevancy 43.43%

I have windows 7 and would like to put icons on my desk top, I keep getting an error message.
Can not create short cut, disk is full.
If anybody can Help.
Thanks Ken

Relevancy 43.43%

I think I have a fake copy of Windows XP. The plan was, to buy a real copy of whatever, next week when my friendly local computer shop man returns from holiday. I switched my PC on today though and I have a black screen with no icons. Neither do I have a taskbar.
If anyone could advise me as to how to get them back I'd be very grateful. If it can't be done..... How do I go about installing real Windows and uninstalling the fake next week?

A:(Fake Windows?) Desk top and taskbar gone

What do you mean by fake copy of windows?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323272/fake-windows-desk-top-and-taskbar-gone/
Relevancy 43.43%

I recently down loaded pictures on our HP Computers desk top from my card from my digital camera.I put them on the desk top than I dragged and dropped them in a folder!I than tryed to delete them from the desktop & now I have the picture icons still there but they won't open and you can't get rid of them what can I do please can any one help me?
Bill...

[email protected]

A:Desk Top Icons Windows XP Personal

Hmm...try deleting in safe mode?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desk-top-icons-windows-xp-personal.431198/
Relevancy 43.43%

Have an Acer desk top that when powered up I immediately get a window that says to press F1 to start. This screen appears every time I power it on. Even resorted to getting a PS2 mouse and keyboard. Once in a great while it will finally boot into Windows 10 but my mouse is frozen and can't do anything. I can't get to my BIOS or anything as it shows that screen with press F1 to start and stays there. Don't know what to do with the system as it doesn't boot and give me mouse or keyboard access. Bought it off Ebay but kept it in the box until my old desktop died so it was after the 30 day return policy. Any ideas? I am leaning towards a bad hard drive but hope that isn't it.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

A:Acer desk top will not boot Windows 10

#1:   Reset the BIOS back to factory default.  In case you are not sure how to do this, power down and unplug the power cable from the wall socket. Press the power switch for 5 seconds (clears the capacitors). Open the case and remove the CMOS battery for about 10 minutes. It looks like a small, silver coin about the size of a nickel. Many computers also have a small jumper switch usually located close to the battery. Move the jumper to the side, wait about 10 seconds, then move it back to original position again. You can check your computer manual to find where this jumper is located. Then reinstall the CMOS battery again; make sure you get the polarity correct, if you put it in backwards the computer will do some really strange things, and possibly not boot. Replug the power cable and boot.

#2: Try to enter Safe Mode; if you don't know how to do this post back or see the manual (if one came with the computer).

Post back with the results of both the above. Please include the make and model of the computer, we are working in the dark here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628013/acer-desk-top-will-not-boot-windows-10/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi,USB keyboard works fine in BIOS.PC will boot into Windows PE using usb stick fine.At this point the USB keboard stops working and i have to use a ps2 one.Also at this point and my main issue is that I cannot image the machine as I cant connect to the USB drive to use imagex.Using list volume command I can see the partitions and dvd drive, but no USB drive. Plugging the devices into usb2 slots make no difference. I've carried out this procedure many times on the G1 with no issues.Any suggestions?  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Elite-Desk-800-G2-no-USB-connections-in-Windows-PE/td-p/5592469
Relevancy 43.43%

I have lost my desk top and windows explorer. I can only open programs up using the task manager. When I log on my wall paper shows up but no icons or start button, nothing. Please Help!!!!

Relevancy 43.43%

My hard drive is bad and I am not sure if a WD Blue 500GB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD5000AAKX will be compatible?

A:Windows xps on a del 5100/e510 desk top

It will be compatible.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19974542
Relevancy 43.43%

My system information is as follows from TSG SysInfo Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium bit Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz Trying Windows 7 IPv6 Desk get Top Solved: to on w/ x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce FX Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total Solved: Trying to get IPv6 on Desk Top w/ Windows 7 - MB Free Solved: Trying to get IPv6 on Desk Top w/ Windows 7 - MB G Total - MB Free - MB H Total - Solved: Trying to get IPv6 on Desk Top w/ Windows 7 MB Free - MB Motherboard Intel Corporation D GLC AAC - BTLC Antivirus ZoneAlarm Antivirus Updated and Enabled I have a NIC as follows Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Owner gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name GatewayDesktop Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List Belkin Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Belkin Description Intel R PRO MT Desktop Adapter Physical Address - -E - C-F -DB DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Tuesday September AM Lease Expires Friday November AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Belkin Description Intel R PRO VE Network Connection Physical Address - C-F -CF-B - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users Owner gt I would like to use IPv on this NIC but cannot find the info on how to turn it on and or turn IPv off if needed nbsp

Relevancy 43.43%

Hello,

So in Settings -> Personalization -> Lock Screen:
I want to set a Slideshow for images inside a folder that's on an external hard disk drive that's connected to the computer through a USB cable 24/7. When I select that folder, I get this message in red font:
The Wallpaper Images folder isn't supported because of its location. Please choose another folder.
I remember I was able to do that for Windows 8.1.

What happen?

What's the workaround for this annoyance please, thanks!

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/59969-using-folder-external-hard-drive-lock-screen-slideshow.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello,

I am running two 7950s in crossfire on my computer. Anytime I launch a game, my computer just locks up and this hardcore buzzing sound playing right when it crashes, the sound continues while the computer is frozen.
This problem has happened in both Battlefield 3 and Splinter Cell Blacklist. I have enabled Crossfire and Crossfire for applications that have no associated profile. In GPUz, it says my cards are enabled for crossfire.

Any ideas on this? I'm wondering if it's my psu? If I disable crossfire, the games work, but the second gpu is at 0% utilization.

Here are my specs:
Windows 8 64bit
AMD 13.8 beta 2 drivers
ULPS is disabled via MSI Afterburner (and I did restart after)
CPU: 4670k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87x-UD5H
RAM: 16GB Gskill
HDD: OS on a 120gb ssd, games on a 2tb WD Black
PSU: 750w Corsair

A:Crossfire 7950s lock up computer, hard reset required

Since the games work fine when you disable Cf it seems like it is a driver issue, try downloading the latest 13.10 Driver and see if it fixes your issue.
Driver: 13.10 AMD Catalyst

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/30103-crossfire-7950s-lock-up-computer-hard-reset-required.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi guys,

A couple of months ago I built a new system and made the jump to Windows 8.

Everything runs great apart from one thing - my secondary hard drive (which is the old one from my old rig) is having issues, which I am now only using for all my less-important programs, and movies, games and general files.

Whenever I open up the drive in Computer or Explorer, it will lock up the window/freeze for 10-20 seconds before returning to normal, in which I can then use it again. It will work for normally for around 5-10 minutes before the lockup returns.

* I have the hard drive split into two partitions. Both do the same thing.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

A:Secondary hard drive causing freezing issues/lock ups

Hello Josh, and welcome to Eight Forums.

It sounds like you have your power plan settings set to turn off your hard disks after being idle for the 5-10 minutes. The tutorial below can help show you how to turn off and stop this.
Hard Drive - Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle or Never - Windows 7 Help Forums
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/31905-secondary-hard-drive-causing-freezing-issues-lock-ups.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I've recently reinstalled Windows due to this problem and everything was running smoothly up until today approximately days after I reinstalled the OS This morning I attempted to boot up my computer as usual and it simply hardlocked as soon as the Welcome screen came up This hardlock only recently started happening with my PC when I hooked up a fourth monitor to my during unable Welcome/Login Hard Screen to resolve Lock @ Boot-Up, GPU to produce a x monitor arrangement plus my Cintiq tablet Currently the Cintiq is in the shop for repairs When that configuration was plugged in the computer started hardlocking After that I reinstalled Windows over the weekend and it was all working fine Up until now There have been no BSOD's at all - even with the hard locks and I attempted to use the driver verifier to see what was causing it as this Hard Lock @ Welcome/Login Screen during Boot-Up, unable to resolve is my greatest suspicion I rarely find that my computer builds have problems though I don't have the tools to test my RAM yet would like some help in this regard This is my workstation that I use for my art I would like to resolve Hard Lock @ Welcome/Login Screen during Boot-Up, unable to resolve this ASAP before the week is over Please help

A:Hard Lock @ Welcome/Login Screen during Boot-Up, unable to resolve

Have you tried the System Repair Disc you can make in Win7's Control Panel, Backup and Restore? It has to be for either 32-bit or 64-bit but your System Specs do show you have the 64-bit version of Windows. It doesn't necessarily have to be made from a specific computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/352789-hard-lock-welcome-login-screen-during-boot-up-unable-resolve.html
Relevancy 43.43%

It's fairly predictable in that it will occur However viewing error logs Event Viewer Reliability Monitor looking in minidump folder actually getting an error report is very hit and miss Most often I actually don't get anything - (Hard BSOD while - 3 few lock, a 117 no playing minidumps) Battlefield BCCode but there are BCCode 117 while playing Battlefield 3 (Hard lock, no BSOD - a few minidumps) a few BCCode s of note I know this is a TDR Crash It all started shortly after the patch and latest DLC download in June I had about four days of good gaming and then this became a regular event I have went through a list of troubleshooting and quot fixes quot that at this point I can hardly BCCode 117 while playing Battlefield 3 (Hard lock, no BSOD - a few minidumps) remember the majority of what I have tried - and none of it has made a lick of difference except possibly delaying how long it takes An important note this is something BCCode 117 while playing Battlefield 3 (Hard lock, no BSOD - a few minidumps) I get in both the Single Player Campaign and Multiplayer modes Originally I ran with a GHz x overclock and used Afterburner to OC the GPUs This was all fine and dandy from BF 's launch in October through mid-June Since then I have disabled most background processes stopped a few services uninstalled various drivers switched from onboard Realtek audio to a Creative X-Fi PCI card from that I had sitting unused in my old PC build updated and downgraded drivers uninstalled a few applications upgraded to BIOS for my Asus P Z -Deluxe motherboard eventually dropped all overclocks which allows me to play longer now I might add but the system still hard-locks I had conducted stress tests LinX Prime with overclocks following the BIOS upgrade tested GPUs ran MemTest overnight had or passes tried running memory at DDR - Corsair x GB - - - - T V XMP DDR - changed voltages until I reset to quot Optimized Defaults quot in BIOS though I am currently set to DDR - along with changing what I did or didn't need in BIOS like RAID vs AHCI and disabling a few onboard things etc In addition to the lack of errors using MemTest I also managed to complete passes and a half of the Windows Memory Diagnostic Extended Test before I got home from work and wanted to use the PC I installed Debug Tools to see if I could make any sense from the few recent minidumps in the zip are some older minidumps anything before June th is irrelevant and unrelated but they just confirmed the standard Nvidia driver is responsible blah blah blah I know TDR crashes like this can be more complex than that and I assume some driver is likely causing conflicts I'd like to blame the latest additions to the BF codebase - but that also means I admit defeat and must wait until the next patch with it unlikely being solved I assume the latest patch did change something that when it was fine before now causes a few things to no longer play nice together As far as Nvidia drivers I had been running Beta for the longest while and they ran quite well for my purposes After the BF issues began I switched to WHQL then to Beta and then WHQL then to the most recent Beta and now I've settled back to WHQL Not one had any impact on this particular problem And I used Driver Sweeper recently have been using Driver Fusion it's successor and have used CCleaner to clear up tracks with strong reservations - I've learned many lessons in regards to the Registry - and I haven't made anything worse just not any better either though I did fix an audio driver issue I was having Anyway hope you can make some sense of it all and hopefully something jumps out at you when looking at the drivers and minidumps System details OS Win Pro x SP Original OS Yes OEM Retail Retail from MSDN to be precise Age of system months both hardware and OS - built in October CPU Intel i K GPU x EVGA Ti GB in SLI nvidia MB Asus P Z Deluxe PSU Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold W

A:BCCode 117 while playing Battlefield 3 (Hard lock, no BSOD - a few minidumps)

Hello destrekor,

All of the attached dumps are of the 117: VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED bugcheck pointing to nvlddmkm.sys which is the nVidia video card drivers. The difference between 116 (VIDEO_TDR_ERRO) and 117 (VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED), is:

0x116 = video driver is unable to recover; system BSODs
0x117 = indicates that the display driver failed to respond in a timely fashion. However, video driver ultimately does recover; records a "Live Kernel Event"

Although different in those terms, troubleshooting them is basically the same:

First of all, after checking your loaded modules page, your Creative drivers are dated from 2008. As far as I know, that wasn't the latest time they updated their drivers, but it may be the case for your specific sound card. Double check their site, and if there is an update, make sure you update those drivers:

Creative Worldwide Support

An important thing for new sandy bridge motherboards is updating the BIOS. Although the architecture isn't brand new, it's still fairly new and the BIOS updates bring some stability which may shed light -

ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE

I couldn't check your BIOS version from the dump as mssmbios.sys wasn't loaded, but if you're not on the latest, update it there.

Given that the culprit is thrown to nvlddmkm.sys each dump, it could be possible we just have a simple driver issue here. For example, I was getting 116 TDR's a few months ago and went to hell and back trying to solve it. Replaced hardware, you name it. Turns out it was just ATI's latest 12.x drivers messing with my 5850's in crossfire, and installing 12.1 solved everything.

With that said, if you're on the latest nVidia drivers, try rolling back a version or so just to make sure it's not the latest version. If you're not on the latest version, try the latest version. Just be sure to not install beta drivers in troubleshooting sessions. They're beta for a reason and if you BSOD, it will cloud the judgement as we may think it's related.

After doing both of those, if you're still crashing... the unfortunate grueling troubleshooting must begin to find the culprit.

The following hardware issues can cause a TDR event:

Quote:

1. Unstable overclock (CPU, GPU, etc). Revert all and any overclocks to stock settings.

2. Bad sector in memory resulting in corrupt data being communicated between the GPU and the system (video memory otherwise known as VRAM or physical memory otherwise known as RAM).

GPU testing: Furmark

RAM testing: Memtest86+

3. Corrupt hard drive or Windows install / OS install resulting in corruption to the registry or page file.

HDD diagnostics: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

To reset your page file, follow the instructions below:

a ) Go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

-Then click on the Advanced tab,
-then on the Performance Settings Button,
-then on the next Advanced tab,
-then on the Virtual Memory Change button.

b ) In this window, note down the current settings for your pagefile (so you can restore them later on).

-Then click on the "No paging file" radio button, and
- then on the "Set" button. Be sure, if you have multiple hard drives, that you ensure that the paging file is set to 0 on all of them.
-Click OK to exit the dialogs.

c ) Reboot (this will remove the pagefile from your system)

d ) Then go back in following the directions in step a ) and re-enter the settings that you wrote down in step

b ). Follow the steps all the way through (and including) the reboot.

e ) Once you've rebooted this second time, go back in and check to make sure that the settings are as they're supposed to be.

Run System File Checker:

SFC.EXE /SCANNOW

Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)

At the top of the search box, right click on the cmd.exe and select "Run as adminstrator"

n the black window that opens, type ... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bccode-117-while-playing-battlefield-3-hard-lock-no-bsod-a-few-minidumps-658236.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello I am having a somewhat weird issue with my internet access After a forced reset due to a hard lock I was no longer able to connect to my network or have internet access This is the second time I have had this issue within a few months where I am losing internet access due to a hard lock reset This occurs on a wired configuration from the integrated on-board LAN nvidia nForce directly into the ISP router The first time this issue occurred I had tried all the routine fixes to no avail The Ethernet No / hard freeze after forced manu access a internet PC lock link from the router is functional as a directly connected laptop has normal network access Eventually I resorted to installing a brand new wireless Ethernet card Upon successful a successful installation and finding the broadcasted SSID No internet access after PC hard lock / freeze forced a manu and several neighbors as expected there was still no internet access after connecting to the wireless network After giving up and resetting the PC on a wired configuration the network appeared and internet access restored At this point switching to the wireless adapter yielded a successful internet connectivity The wireless adapter was then removed and the configuration returned to a wired link I am having the same issue again and I was wondering id anybody may have an idea of what is happening as I still have no idea how to fix this Below are the notes observations and attempts to resolve the issue The operating system is Windows Professonal -bit The motherboard make is EVGA and uses nForce chip It has integrated LAN ethernet ports Any feedback is greatly appreciated Thank you The PC entered a hard lock mode during media streaming and gaming forcing me the use the reset button During the initial POST error concerning Floppy Drive Fail appeared With each boot the same error was given consistently Since the PC didn t have and never had a floppy drive I Went into the BIOS to disable the A drive Error no longer appeared This leads me to believe that the BIOS reset itself to default values or safe-mode values after the PC was reset As far as I can tell no other BIOS parameters were changed The CPU runs at the correct clock speed The BIOS displays the correct current time indicating that the CMOS battery is still functional So far tried - New install of Windows OS - Reset router - Different LAN port on both the PC ethernet slots and the router ethernet slots - Different laptop connects successfully when using the same ethernet link as the main PC - Safe mode with nerworking - flush DNS - netsh winsock reset catalog nethsh int ipv reset reset log netsh ipv reset reset log - ipconfig release ipconfig renew - Disable then enable network interface cards - Uninstall network drivers reinstall network drivers - Tried changing the MAC address of the nVidia nForce ethernet adapter in case of router MAC filtering - Installing a wireless PCI adapter on the machine Observations Recieves an APIPA address Successfully pings Cannot ping to internet google com for example Cannot connect to router using its address When pinging recieving error PING transmit failed General failure Displays Unidentified Network Public Network as the network Access type displays No Internet access Had VMWare installed with virtual adapters Those were manually disabled when the problems started occurring Attempted to install a wireless PCI adapter to the PC The installation appeared to be successful and would display the SSIDs of neighboring routers as expected However after entering the correct WPA credentials the network is displayed as Unidentified Network Public Network as the network Access type displays No Internet access ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Moonblaze-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description NVIDIA nForce Mbps Ethernet Physical Address - - B- -C - DHCP Enabled Yes... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-internet-access-after-pc-hard-lock-freeze-forced-a-manu.1155911/
Relevancy 43.43%

Lots of BSOD lock ups drive lock f it bios, being detected Lots is not BSOD, hard ups, of by hard drive not being detected Lots of BSOD, lock ups, hard drive not being detected by bios, is it f by bios is it failing Let me start by saying my PC is custom built most parts are only a year old The oldest parts are the harddrive about years and the soundcard about years I have never had major problems until now a year after building it It all started with a blue screen KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR Reboot windows and it seems to start up fine gets to the desktop and locks up Reboot windows and I get another blue screen BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO I Try to start windows from the last good configuration Error Registry file failure Cannot load hive file I try booting from the windows cd and running a chkdsk Harddrive starts making a buzzing sound It gets to step of and stops Failed to transfer logged messages Status Now the bios rarely even quot sees quot the drive When I can get it to boot and see it any attempt at diagnostics and repairs produces errors locks up or fails Is this a bad harddrive I would hate to spend the money on a new one only to find it is a bad mobo or virus How can I diagnose this If it is a bad drive I would like to save what juice is left in it and try to recover a few files before it dies Most of the important data has been backed up but I would like to try and get a few game save files if I can But its not a disaster if the drive data is not recoverable Thanks for any help in advance ---------------------------------------------------- System Manufacturer Model Number-Custom Built OS-Windows Pro bit CPU-Intel Core i - Bloomfield GHz LGA W Quad-Core Motherboard-ASUS Sabertooth X LGA Intel X SATA Gb s USB AT Memory-Kingston HyperX T Series GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM D Graphics Card s -ASUS ENGTX TI DCII DI GD GeForce GTX Ti Fermi Sound Card-Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE Monitor s Displays-Samsung SyncMaster P Hard Drives-Seagate Barracuda SATA gig PSU-Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR -M W Continuous C P

A:Lots of BSOD, lock ups, hard drive not being detected by bios, is it f

I would recommend downloading and burning the DOS version of SeaTools to a CD/DVD and using it to run the short and long tests with the SeaTools diagnostic utilities.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/224243-lots-bsod-lock-ups-hard-drive-not-being-detected-bios-f.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello

I've been experiencing the same crash repeatedly now, while playing any game(it's happened so far in Rainbow Six Siege, Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3) my screen will randomly lock up and there's always a loud EEEEEEEEEEEEE sound until I shut the PC off manually with the power button.

I've tried checking the event logs and there doesn't seem to be anything in there when the lock happens and the PC is completely unresponsive during the lock.

DM Log attached.

DESKTOP-81TOIO5-Fri_12_04_2015_214545_73.zip

A:Hard lock, loud noise crash while playing games.

I am having the exact same problem. Tropico 5, Prison Architect, Battle Field, Guild Wars 2 at this point.

20 minutes or so in and It freezes. The only relevant error is the critical error in the logs related to the hard reboot. I have an AMD 7790. From what I can tell it worked fine before I upgraded to Win10 but I don't want to say that for sure was the cause because I was really busy with work for 6 months and did not play any games during that time (March through August).

I have:

1) reinstalled windows 10
2) ran Fur Mark for 8 hours (no crash)
3) Ran memtest86+ for 24 hours (no errors after 12 passes)
4)removed existing AMD drivers with DDU and installed the beta drivers
5) blown out the dust from every crevice of my PC (there wasn't that much since I have filters)
6) re-seated my GPU
7) scanned for malware with malwarebytes
8)cleaned my registry with CC Cleaner

The only thing that I have not done is adjust my timeout settings in the registry because I have not seen anywhere that doing so would solve this problem on Windows 10 (seems to be a vista/7 solution)

My last resort will be to buy an Nvidia GPU and hope that there are no issues.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/32646-hard-lock-loud-noise-crash-while-playing-games.html
Relevancy 43.43%

This only seems to happen when playing games in fullscreen widescreen mode 720p, if I run them windowed in the same resolution no black screen hard lock. I have tried swapping video cards. I have reinstalled windows. I have updated bios. I have tried different driver versions for vid card. Ran memtest86+ 2 passes no errors...Don't know what else it might be besides motherboard or psu...

OSwindows 7 home premiumCPUintel i7 920Motherboardgigabyte ex58 ud3r rev 1.6Memory6gig corsair dominator ramGraphics Card(s)xfx radeon 5750Sound Cardonboard realtekMonitor(s) Displays32" 720p panasonic viera tvHard Drivesraided 1tb barracudasPSU700w ocz modular power suppplyCaseantec 900Coolingcoolit cpu cooler

A:black screen hard lock crash during fullscreen gaming

Mesososo, Was this a past issue even before the installation of Windows 7?
If so, this issue could be caused due to the fact your graphics driver does not fit the needs to play the game in full screen. This issue could be resolved by upgrading your graphics driver in your pc.

If games worked fine before the installation of Windows 7, Then you could be missing drivers and I would recommend you to locate drivers for your specific graphics card and download/install them.

Past Experience

I've had this issue before running Windows XP, which was due to the fact my graphics card did not fit the needs to play the online game. I had to upgrade the graphics card which did cost money ($$$) but is worth it if you would like to play the games in full screen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/60289-black-screen-hard-lock-crash-during-fullscreen-gaming.html
Relevancy 43%

HI
I AM TRYING TO HELP MY FRIEND SHE HAS WINDOWS XP PRO HER DESK TOP ICONS ARE GONE AND COMPUTER IS IN COMPATIBILTY MODE SHE HAS TIRED TO RESTORE TO SAFE POINT AND IT WONT LET HER GO PASTED THE POINT WHERE IT ALL STARTED. CAN ANYONE HELP? she needs computer for her collage studies

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-desk-top-icons-gone-in-compatibilty-mode.393047/
Relevancy 43%

I can't find any help with this problem. I'm use to using Windows 7 file explorer favorites. Under favorites/desktop I have a file named cyndy in which I created folders for my pics, musics, documents etc. Apparently things don't work the same in Windows 10 Quick Access. In desktop I created a folder named cyndy in which I created folders for pics, musics, documents etc. The problem is Windows creates a desktop icon for the actual folder not a shortcut. If I delete the folder from my desktop, it deletes all my files in the folder. What am I doing wrong? It's driving my crazy. Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-putting-folders-i-create-on-desk-top.1170227/
Relevancy 43%

i have my windows unused desktop icon wizard at start up on the lower right of my task bar and this is at startup and then it is gone This is near the power volume icon On the lower left near the start on my task bar is a icon that I can click on for the desktop First I would like to find the quot unused desktop icon wizard quot as I understand this to be the tool that I create a folder and can put icons in that one wants but does not access all the time I presently desk icon windows unused top wizard have miscellaneous content file of unused desktop icons and now want to create more specific ones that would make life easier and the desktop windows unused icon desk top wizard less cluttered For example what I want to do is create new folders one would contain forums that I participate in and the other would for work related icons I did a post in another forum and the suggestion was to go into my registry and it listed information that I did not understand and I have been told not to fool with my registry as I am a newbie and use my computer mainly for work toshiba Pentium notebook Is there any other way that I can accomplish what I want to do I hope that there is some member or members that can help It is a nice Sunday to put the desktop in order however if I make a mistake with my registry and go to work tomorrow I will be in deep trouble I look forward very much to replies

A:windows unused icon desk top wizard

well you can store unused icons in there own folder like just throw them in my documents. But to get organized just go to my documents right click and hit new folder. Name the folder what you want and then drag and drop the unused icons in that folder. Poof your now oraganized and ready to move on!
If you need any more help ill be here or someone else...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/3881/windows-unused-icon-desk-top-wizard/