Windows Support Forum

Hard Drive has lost its format

Q: Hard Drive has lost its format

Hello, my external hard drive has lost it's format. It was a 1 terabyte NTFS drive, now it's a 1 terabyte unnalocated drive. It has loads of stuff on it and I would like it back.
I have used several DOS programs and a couple of them could see the files and folders but crashed when trying to retrieve them.
When using Runtime's GetDataBack for NTFS, I can see all the files and folders in all their glory and the program lets me save them to another drive but the actual "save" does nothing.
Any help greatly appreciated
Regards
Paul

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Hard Drive has lost its format

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Hard Drive has lost its format

I use EASEUS Partition Recovery Free 2008. I don't know the limitations of what they are offering for free downloads now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-has-lost-its-format.137421/
Relevancy 78.26%

I reformatted my computer and installed windows vista home sp2.
since then he can nit connect to the internet its been very frustrating since I know very little about how to fix this. I have internet through comcast cable. I also have a router setup up for wireless connection
any help at all would be really appreciated. The device managerment shows that I am missing drivers under Other devices:
! BASE SYSTEM DEVICE
! BASE SYSTEM DEVICE
! COPROCESSOR
! ETHERNET CONTROLLER
! ETHERNET CONTROLLER
! SM BUS CONTROLLER
! UNKNOWN DEVICE
! UNKNOWN DEVICE

A:Format hard drive /lost internet connection

you need to install all those drivers
goto the PCs manufacturers website and all the drivers should be available to download

post the make and exact model of the PC and we can help further

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/format-hard-drive-lost-internet-connection.1083407/
Relevancy 77.4%

Hey, I'm currently using Windows 7 and when I turned on my computer today it said something about needing to scan my hard drive. I let it begin but after 30 minutes I decided to turn my computer off because I had to get onto it to reply to an important email. When I rebooted it, I checked the hard drive and its now empty. In disk management it shows up and says its active and healthy, however if I right click onto it I have the option to format it. Also, if I try to drag a file onto it, a window pops up saying "could not find this item, this is no longer allocated in Computer. Verify the items location and try again."

Is there any way to get my files back?

Relevancy 68.8%

Hi everyone,

I recently accidentally formatted a hard drive. So, I quickly install a file recovery software (EaseUS Data Recovery). Then the result shows that most of SWF files are big in size. I think that lots of my files have been converted or combine with other files. So, how do I recover my files?

A:File format changed into other format after format a hard drive

This may not be the best answer, but I would recover the files first. That is you biggest concern right now. Then try to see what you need to do to fix them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/375998-file-format-changed-into-other-format-after-format-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a customer s Satellite L D S laptop This was shipped to me by the customer who tried to install Windows XP Pro Vista and none would install He said he tried all installation CDs he had and finally gave up on it and shipped it to me When I got it the partition were deleted so I tried to install Win and when I do doing a custom install I format win can't clean drive find drive hard 7 can't install Solved: or on hard get an error saying the hard drive can t be formatted on disk Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install or it will give an error that no hard drives were found I reset the bios to default and no matter what I do it won t format or find the harddrive I was going to upgrade the bios but the only way I found to upgrade the Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install bios is after windows is installed There is no way to make changes to the bios for settings that would have to do with the hard drive This has a Toshiba MK GSX S hard drive When installing Win I get the normal windows quot windows is starting quot quot Select Language quot quot Select System quot quot Type of install quot quot Custom Install quot quot Delete partitions quot quot New Partitions quot quot Format quot then the error message quot Windows cannot format a partition on disk Error x quot This happens regardless what system I try to install I ve tried two different versions of XP one of Vista and Win and each time a different install CD System Specs AMD Turion TM x Mobile CPU CPU Speed GHz Toshiba MK GSX S hard drive Pioneer DVD-RW DurkD l PM Optical Disk Drive Memory System Bios Version Anyone got any ideas on this laptop so I can get a system installed I checked the bios and there is no settings for a sata drive raid drive or IDE drive so it looks like this version can t be changed Thanks for anyone who can help Rick nbsp

A:Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-win-7-cant-find-hard-drive-or-cant-format-hard-drive-on-clean-install.917413/
Relevancy 62.35%

One of the drive it's format? lost Logical logical FAT drives in the middle of my extended partition has become quot unformatted quot according to windows When I try to open it I get a short message telling me the drive is not formated and then it asks do I want to Logical drive lost it's format? format I answer no quot Logical drive lost it's format? Properties quot show that the drive is for everything total space available space used space looks like no format Partition Magic at least show it is a formatted FAT drive It also says the disk is totally full and unreadable PM can t access it and trying to do a repair from Partition Magic tells me I have a CRC error somewhere But I don t see how that would take down the entire drive When I went to DOS it finds the drive All files directories appear to be intact So it obviously is still formatted But Windows can no longer find it I tried FDISK MBR That did nothing I tried one of the very expensive recovery software programs that is out there and it can find the drive and everything on it But who can afford that How can I get Windows to recognize the partition table again and that the drive is formatted Thank you Bob As a last resort I do have a backup of my C system drive Would doing a restore bring back the drive system System Win K pro SP gig AMD CPU gig Maxtor HD megs SDRAM nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/logical-drive-lost-its-format.152949/
Relevancy 61.49%

I lost power this morning during a full format on a new internal hard drive (mechanical, not SSD). It went into either sleep or hibernation due to my UPS battery failing, and then resumed full format after my PC restarted. I feared the interruption may have affected the full format, so I cancelled the full format around 23%, deleted the partition back to unallocated, and re-initialized the drive and started a fresh full format. The full format completed this afternoon, and Crystal Disk Info shows no allocated sectors.

Should the drive be okay? I was scared when it lost power in the middle of the format because I didn't know what damage that could do.

A:lost power during full format - is the drive okay?

Yeah, usually it'll be fine. When that happens, you may have to perform a clean command if deleting the partition doesn't work, and then start over with the format.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/373698-lost-power-during-full-format-drive-okay.html
Relevancy 60.2%

My computer running Windows Ultimate -bit can no longer access my Western Digital Caviar quot Black quot TB hard drive that s connected but I suspect my data to still be in there so I wonder what data recorvery tools people have used and recommend This is one of the additional drives to my operating system C drive It has been formatted as NTFS and been working fine for several months until with recommendations Data format, from drive please lost recovery software a week ago Now it appears as the E drive on Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please My Computer as originally configured but the volume label is now blank I used to have that named as quot Media quot When I double-click on it to Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please enter the drive I get the Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please error message quot E is not accessible The parameter is incorrect quot In Computer Management -- gt Storage -- gt Disk Management the drive appears but it s File System is now indicated as RAW rather than NTFS I have tried using Active Partition Recovery and that successfully lists my drive with the original label name quot Media quot and as NTFS and also lists the folders located at the root of the drive which is why I suspect my data to still be in there and recoverable However when I use this tool to do a full scan of my disk it freezes after scanning MB There are tools out there with varying reliability so whch ones do people here recommend another tool I trired I forget its name was scanning my disk but prediced days to go over the entire TB so that s out of the question I have been told to use a tool that can recover files onto a separate disk rather then try to repair the original disk and risk losing more of the original data Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please

Oh crap. Something like this happened recently to me when I had backed up some data to an USB thumb drive. It worked fine for awhile, then some weeks later, my PC just couldn't read it anymore (kept saying "disk in drive needs to be reformatted/etc"...and the properties for the drive also showed it as RAW format instead of FAT32 like it would have been usually).

I think the issue is drive corruption, which seems to be fairly common with external devices like USB drives, but odd in the case of an internal drive. The remedy for me was to try to access it from a different system, which was easy since being a USB stick I could try it elsewhere easily. If you can use another system to access the drive, preferably a Linux/Ubuntu based one; it is likely your best bet to recoup the data before its lost permanently. An external HDD kit would be ideal, and they are quite cheap also.

Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-from-drive-with-lost-format-software-recommendations-please.187901/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a very straightforward question I am running WinXP Pro drive NTFS? a read VISTA format drive,or have I to to the hard FAT32 external will do on my computer and I just got an external USB hard-drive to back up my data before I upgrade to VISTA My internal hard drive is NTFS file system and the external drive is FAT My data backed-up perfectly However I understand that VISTA is NTFS only for the drive that it s installed on which in my case will be the internal drive I will be installing the VISTA OS on the internal drive and using the external drive solely will VISTA read a FAT32 external hard drive,or do I have to format the drive to NTFS? for backing up data I don t want to back up my data externally upgrade my PC to VISTA and then discover that I can t access the data on the external drive Here s my only question will VISTA work with a FAT external drive or do I have to convert that external drive to NTFS before I attempt to connect it to VISTA awaiting your replies - I ll appreciate all the help I can get nbsp

A:will VISTA read a FAT32 external hard drive,or do I have to format the drive to NTFS?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-vista-read-a-fat32-external-hard-drive-or-do-i-have-to-format-the-drive-to-ntfs.584903/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hey Guys,

I have a netbook which I want to recycle however it has been used for business purposes and I want to properly format the drive. The issue I have is that it does not have a CD drive nor does it have a working screen. I have connected the hard drive to external display and manually deleted all files from the computer but I know this is not really 'deleting' anything.

How can I format the drive from within Windows? Unfortunately I cannot get bios to display on the external display so I can not do anything from DOS or Bios simply because I can't see anything!

My latest attempt has been to use Active KillDisk to create a bootable USB however this is when I ran into the issue of the Bios and DOS not displaying, it will only display once windows has been loaded.

Any ideas?

A:Solved: Help needed to securely format hard drive - no screen or CD drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-help-needed-to-securely-format-hard-drive-no-screen-or-cd-drive.1002988/
Relevancy 59.77%

The other day i went to format a partition(called drive D) of a hard drive in dos mode. Just after i pressed enter for the format to begin i relised that in dos my partitioned drive D was actually called drive G and my other hard drive which was drive E was called D, so I was actually formatting drive E. I quickly pressed restart and once in windows tried accessing drive E but it wouldnt let me because it sais it needs to be formatted because it hasnt got a File System. Ive used getdataback to access it but I want to know if there is a way to give the drive a file system name without actually formatting it?

Relevancy 59.77%

Hi My external hard-drive stopped working yesterday This is what s happening I Solved: before External the you can F: it. hard-drive:...format disk drive in use plug it in as usual then it says quot You need to format the disk in drive F before you can use it Do you want to format it quot I m thinking it s more than likely an issue of having pulled out the usb cable without clicking safely remove Yesterday I actually got it working again briefly by typing quot chkdsk F R quot into command prompt Now when I do that it doesn t work it says quot The type of the file system Solved: External hard-drive:...format the disk in drive F: before you can use it. is NTFS Unable to determine volume version and state CHKDSK aborted quot And when I double click on F drive in my computer it says quot F is not accessible The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable quot Are there any other options besides using some sort of data recovery tool I d rather not do this just because it takes a long time nbsp

A:Solved: External hard-drive:...format the disk in drive F: before you can use it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-format-the-disk-in-drive-f-before-you-can-use-it.1052654/
Relevancy 58.91%

I need to format my hard drive [D & C drive]

so i wanna know Will format the hard drive [D & C drive], delete the all file
in it? Like the software that i install [ C:\Program Files], will they remain there or
will be deleted?

i already make a back up to all my Document project [ on D drive as i shown above] but to be honest, i dont want the process to delete my " Program Files" folder [ C:\Program Files]& my Document project [ on D:drive]........

** I just reinstall my pc 4/5 days ago [ maybe on 20 or 21/3/2012 ]

A:Will format the hard drive [D & C drive], delete the all file in it?

Formatting a drive or partition will completly wipe it, delete everything.

Take note you will be unable to format a drive with Windows on it if you are using that installation, you need to use a boot disk. If using dual boot you can format one Windows drive from the other.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/220896-will-format-hard-drive-d-c-drive-delete-all-file.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I have a system and internal hard drives The drvies are GB GB and GB but my system only recognizes GB GB and GB respectively Tha tis about a loss of space for each drive gigs lost in total That s a lot of hard on space hard of drive ALL 7% lost drives... space None of the drives are partitioned and it s not and HP or other like system It s a custom built PC I only have an OS WINXP installed on my C drive the GB drive No matter how I connect these drives on-borad IDE or IDE controller card my 7% of hard drive space lost on ALL hard drives... system will not recognize the full space of any hard 7% of hard drive space lost on ALL hard drives... drive I install on my system The is slave to the and the is on an ATA controller card Promise Technologies all by itself All are Western Digital The is a special edition and I recommend you stay away from WD special edition HDs I have had to swap it for a refurb times in years This is the first time I have installed it on a newer computer though so I hope it does not break like it did on my old ancient system times My old system was and AMD Duron with M RAM but I digress So is there a way to get back this gigs of missing HD space or is this just the way it is with WINXP Thanks in advance BTW my MB is an ASUS P P SE with a Cerleron D MHz in case any of that matters nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

I have been experiencing instability on a system running XP-Media It is about years old and decided to clean drive..or format hard one Can't old new it out restoring back to the manufacturer s HP original image After doing this Windows remained unstable rebooting seemingly at random so I decided to do a totally fresh install from a legitimate XP Pro disk As XP Pro is installing it seeks to format the hard drive to NTFS either quick of full as you know after which I get a message quot Unable to format hard drive Partition may be damaged etc quot I tried many times deleting partition reducing its size etc all with the same results Aha I figure the problem was that the hard drive was bad So I go and buy a spanking new hard drive WD Gig Then Can't format new hard drive..or old one when formatting for XP Pro SAME PROBLEM on the brand new drive When formatting quick or full Can't format new hard drive..or old one it proceeds to seemingly okay and then returns the error Any idea what might cause this Of course at todays prices I am ready to just get another box but my inquisitive mind is wondering what is going on Thanks Pradhan nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

Hey guys,

I need help here. I've installed a new hard drive in my brother's computer and I forgot how to format/partition it in Windows XP. I've been walked through this before but for some reason I completely forgot what I have to do to format it. If anyone can give me a hand with this I would appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance guys!

Relevancy 58.05%

Hello all,
I have a four year old HP Pavillion. When I powered up yesterday I kept getting a black screen with "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device".

After reading HP guides I checked all the BIOS settings and the HDD was being recognized in the boot sequence

Not knowing what I'm doing...I put a Windows XP installation disc in and re-booted.

I am now the proud owner of an I: drive with 160GB of pure, free memory.

Did I lose everything that was on my C: drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/did-xp-re-format-my-hard-drive.626628/
Relevancy 58.05%

I was trying to do a clean install of XP Pro and I cannot format my 320gig
hard drive. I had my C & D both on this hard drive with a 30gig partition for the OS. Someone tried to help and they got the D partition deleted but I still get to the point of running the format command. When I boot up with the OS CD in the drive I go automatically to the window to put in my name and company information and then to input the key. I tried downloading a disk from Microsoft to allow me to format the drive but it would not work at all. Any help will be appreciated.

A:Hard Drive will not format

[B]Welcome to TSF..../B]

What is the make and model of the hard drive?

Did the hard drive come with an installation disk?

Do you have an installation disk for Windows?

Explain what type? Is it an OEM recovery disk or Microsoft disk?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-will-not-format-253490.html
Relevancy 58.05%

my hard drive isnt showing up in my computer but shows up in Device Manager and when i have tried to reformat it, it comes up media is write protected. how do i fomat it so i can use it again?

A:how do i format my hard drive

Welcome aboard, JH17

You may follow the steps :
Open Command Prompt at Startup
Type: diskpart > enter
Type: list volume > enter
Type: select volume > enter (the volume that is write protected)
Type: attributes disk clear readonly > enter

It may work.

Edit: You may also see Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/241782-how-do-i-format-my-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello,

I was using windows Vista on my notebook. After about a year I wanted to reinstall as it was becoming slow.

However, when I inserted the disk it did not boot from it when the computer started.

I went into the BIOS and set the boot priority to give the DVD top priority. However, that didn't work.

Thinking it was the disk, someone gave me their version of windows vista. However, this didn't boot from the DVD. However, I was able to install windows vista from exploring DVD and double clicking setup.

However, the problem started when I tried to restart. I get this GRUB menu and the computer says it fails to boot.

I want to reformat my entire hard disk and start again.

Many thanks for any support,

A:Format hard drive

You will have to take your Hard Drive out of your computer and put it in another computer as a slave HDD (2nd Hard Drive). Then load up the other computers normal OS. Then goto "My Computer" (or "Computer"), right-click your Hard Drive and then click "Format...". Then after the format put it back in your computer and you should have a blank Hard Drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/format-hard-drive.864129/
Relevancy 58.05%

I took a hard drive out of an old pc and want to install it in another. Whe I try to format
it, it says "cannot format network drive". I tried fdisk and it says "no fixed disk present".
Could someone please tell me what to do?
Thanks,

Gary

Relevancy 58.05%

I put two new 120GB WD hard drives in a PC, in addition to the one 40GB drive the OS is installed on. I partitioned both drives and booted to Win2k. In Win2k, I right clicked both drives and had them formated as NTFS. I formatted them both at the same time. When the progress reached 100% for both drives windows complained that the format could not be completed. Now, the BIOS is not showing the proper model number of the drives anymore (they were before the attempted format). Now the BIOS is reporting a bunch of symbols as both of the models. They are not identifyable characters...they might as well be chinese characters. Any idea how I might fix this? I am thinking maybe I might need to do a low-level format, but don't know which utility to use to do so. I am wondering if anyone else has any suggestions.

A:Bad Hard Drive Format

Use the floppy that should have come with the drive. If none came with them, go to manufacturer's website and download it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bad-hard-drive-format.178113/
Relevancy 58.05%

A few months ago, after a Windows update, one of my external hard drives went RAW. So I bought a program and recovered most of my lost files. Lately, I went to recover some files I didn't get the first time, or were corrupted when recovered. The program doesn't see any data, and when I try to reformat it, it can't be done. This is a Seagate Free Agent Go-Flex 1T drive and I need the space. any ideas?

Relevancy 58.05%

I have a STUPID HP HDX I thought it was the coolest thing in the world until I actually bought it months from purchase and replacements later I am STILL having problems with the laptop The SECOND replacement computer they sent me has a bad hard drive HP as usual doesn't know what they are doing and sent me a Format Hard Drive To How hard drive for some quot laptop The problem I'm having now is I already formatted my old hard drive I have to send in but the way it's How To Format Hard Drive being done is unusual to me I pop the windows recovery disc in and it formatts the partition automatically supposedly I'd like to get directly to the partitions myself and delete them When it does it automatically it says my hard drive size is GB starts some FBI Gui File Based Interface or something and trys to install software which never finishes SO - does anyone know how I can access the partitions on Vista -bit Exact directions would be great Thank you Ryan

Relevancy 58.05%

I am trying to format my hard drive and re install windows 7 as my hard drive is ruuning out of memory tried removing some programs but is not helping much my hard drive is 232GB I only have 28GB left can anyone please advise me how to foramt my hard drive.

Thanks
Chris

A:Format hard drive

Have you tried running disk cleanup? It will remove old restore points etc and free up some space. It might save you from having to re-install.
You can format your drive during the windows 7 install.
Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/161971-format-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

My daughter has a Dell Inspiron 1545 Lap Top Model#PP41L.The hard drive has failes-is corrupt.This is a Hitachi 2.5" 9mm SATA notrbook drive 3.0Gb/s 5400 rpm capacity 320GB Firmware#C40C.When I install a new hard drive I will have to format it-could you suggest a method to do this and a format that would be suitable for Windows Vista.

Thank You

A:Hard drive format

After the hard drive is replaced, go into the BIOS setup screen and set the optical drive first in the boot order, then save the change and exit the BIOS.

Insert the Vista DVD in the optical drive, then restart the computer.

If all goes well, a Press any key to boot from CD or DVD command will appear.

After you press any key(which you need to do quickly before the command disappears) the setup process will start.

You format the hard drive first and and then install Vista.

I suggest you go here first and become familiar with this guide.

------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-format.1014322/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi everyone I was recently format hard my How drive??? I do having a bad problem with Javascript on my computer that I couldn t fix I came on here and posted a message and I got How do I format my hard drive??? around replies of ideas to fix it Well I tried them all and nothing worked So I reinstalled Windows I had planned to format my partition and then reinstall Windows but it didn t go that way Turns out that I accidently reinstalled Windows and left all my programs here Now this would be good except for the fact that my computer is a How do I format my hard drive??? bit messed up All of my programs are still here BUT none of them are on the start menu among other things So I am considering trying to figure out how to do a format of the partition and then reinstall Windows once again But if I can get the current Windows fixed where everything on the start menu is where it belongs and everything I ll be fine with that So I am going to try a few things and meanwhile I would just like some advice on how to get my format working Here s what I did I loaded my restore disk into the computer which has a copy of XP on it I have formatted from this disk before so I was trying to do it again I hit Install Windows So it proceeded to reinstall Windows but wouldn t format the hard drive So I tried again doing the same thing I did before When I got to the part where I could delete the partition it told me I couldn t delete the partition because there were temporary installation files for XP installation I suppose that are required for the installation of XP So I am unable to format that partition for that reason I would appreciate any advice you can give me As of right now the normal startup items are not loading on startup and my start menu is messed up I am working on fixing that right now Well send the answers my way onto this forum I ll be checking back frequently during the day I ll let you all know if I get Windows working normally again Later nbsp

A:How do I format my hard drive???

Well, if you really want to start anew....

Put your WinXP CD in your CD reader.
Go to your BIOS setup.
Select CD-Rom as primary boot device.
Save settings and reboot.
Answer YES when asked Boot from CD?
Then select Start computer with CD ROM support on the menu displayed.
Once you get the DOS prompt (A>), type FDISK<Return>.
Delete all your partitions (logical drives first).
Reboot with the XP CD still in the drive.
You'll have to perform a full XP installation again, including re-activation (and then re-install all your software).

Good luck.

P.S. In your BIOS setup, don't forget to reset HDD (IDE-0?) as primary boot device.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-format-my-hard-drive.171895/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi everyone,was wondering if some one can tell me how tom format my second hard drive...all I want to do with it is to store data & mp3's on it...Any help would be Appreciated...my system consists of Windows xp home edition,1gig of ram,2.8 Intel proz.2 120 gig hard drives
**Thanks bobbylee

Relevancy 58.05%

Listen can anyone help me, whilest i was on holiday my parents thought it would be very useful of them to upgrade my OS to XP I hate it and want to go back, anyone got any ideas how to, cause when i go to the Add/Romove programmes panel XP does not come up. Help!

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi, I recently upgraded and moved the OS to a new drive. I want to format the old OS drive (now D drive). How would I go about doing this? I know you can't format a bootable drive too

Any help?

Thanks!

A:Format old OS hard drive

Make sure the drive is connected to your computer (internal drive should be, external drive needs to be plugged in.) Then click Start > Computer and find the drive in the list of drives. Ensure any data on the drive that you wish to keep has been copied to another drive, as formatting will remove all data. Right-click on the drive's icon and select the "Format..." option to bring up the Format window.

Select the required file system (you'll probably want to stay with NTFS) and give the drive a new name (called a "Volume label"). If you just want to erase a drive that has already been formatted, consider using the "Quick Format" option; otherwise leave this option unchecked. Click "Start" to begin the formatting process. A full format could take several hours.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/209719-format-old-os-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a hp pavilion N5150 laptop, I was using Norton to fix somw hard drive errors, norton quit in the middle of fixing errors. Windows ME wouldn't boot anymore. I tried to just reformat the drive, but it says it can't format the drive. Is there a utility program to do this or is the drive dead? I tried to open the case to check the drive even after removing all the screws the case wouldn't come apart any suggestions?
Thanks,
Sandor

A:hard drive won't format

A Win98 boot/install floppy disk WILL format that HD. You can DL one free from many places on the internet.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-wont-format.361727/
Relevancy 58.05%

Had to buy a new power supply and hard drive for my system New power supply working perfectly Bought format New will Drive WD Hard not a GB WD AAKX Sata drive and it is physically installed It is replacing a Sata Seagate GB When I start to format the drive and load Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack I only get so far before the PC abruptly shuts down without warning The first time I got to the partition screen where I could specify how much space to partition It suddenly shut down and after waiting a minute I rebooted went back into my boot menu to boot from CD and this time got to the screen where Windows was going to format full the drive I was at that screen for about seconds or so when it suddenly shut down again Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong It has been over twenty years since I worked as a PC Tech and I have tried New WD Hard Drive will not format to stay abreast of developments on my own Clearly I am not doing such a good job of it lol Any advice is greatly appreciated Thank you so much for your valuable time Moonifa nbsp

A:New WD Hard Drive will not format

Post the exact pw supply you installed. Post a link to the part if possible.

Next you posted you had to buy a new psu and hard drive. Is this by chance because the psu failed?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-wd-hard-drive-will-not-format.994968/
Relevancy 58.05%

I just upgraded my win98 to win2k and am now trying to format my hard disk but keep getting 'volume in use by another proccess'. Can't get around this no matter what I try.
This is exactly what I get when I'm using the command prompt.
Format :c
Type of fyle system is NTFS
Enter current volume label for drive c: xxxxxxxxxx
Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another proccess
Format may run if this volume is dismounted first
All open handles to this volume would then be invalid
would you like to force a dismount on this volume? Yes
Cannot lock the drive the volume is still in use

Any help would be highly appreciated

A:need help. can't format my hard drive

Sounds to me like you are trying to format the partition that you have actually booted into!
Are you sure about which partition you need to format? Sounds like you may end up loosing everything if you get it wrong....
Once you've sure about the above, you'll need to boot of a dos bootdisk and run from the command prompt.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-cant-format-my-hard-drive.263875/
Relevancy 58.05%

Can someone please tell me how to reformat my hard drive? I'm trying to load XP Pro but when I put the disc in it tells me that the version on my computer is newer than the one I'm trying to put in so it can't install it. So how do I format from XP Home edition?

Thank You

Beau

A:Need to format hard drive

You need to boot from the XP CD . . not from the hard drive . . to do that, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

This is a site that walks you thru a simulated XP installation:
http://www.echoproject.net/en/software/catalog.html

These are good guides to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print one for reference during the install.

http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

You may have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, If your XP installation disc does not include SP2, after the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-format-hard-drive.394256/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have been having lots of trouble with my pc. everything from ati drivers to pop ups on my screen. I just tried to reformatt my hard drive and it says Windows was not able to complete the fomat. What do you do now when you just want to redo your computer. I also can not boot with the xp professional cd. It also says that it can't find my hard drive. HELP.

Relevancy 58.05%

750 Samsung portable device. Problems seems to sort itself out eventually but it keeps firing up prompts to format the drive before I can use it. First time it happened I had to unplug it, restarted and then it was OK. It just did it again and then again when I restarted, took a minute or two but eventually it read the drive and it was ok.

Why is this happening and what can I do to stop it?

This is the first problem I've had. Not happy.

Might it be a power issue? I have the device connected via a USB 2.0 port, through an extension lead and then through a 4 way splitter. I have had problems with this splitter before I think, but not with the small connector. Maybe I can try connecting it through one of the other ports and see if it still has the same problem.

A:Win 7 keeps asking to format ext hard drive

Yes, power issue could certainly explain it. Definitely test it connected directly to the PC.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/220808-win-7-keeps-asking-format-ext-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Regular forum dwellers may remember me from earlier A Tale Of Three Hard Drives I however have another problem with the same drive I have C D and E The D is the problem drive I saved all the data I could off of my drive D after it had been corrupted by viruses I now need to reformat it so I can move on Formatting in the windows explorer format hard Can't drive. doesn t work Nothing crashes but the blue bar in the formatting window doesn t move and I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to close the window In disk manager I started the formatting Can't format hard drive. and went Can't format hard drive. for a jog When I came back there was Can't format hard drive. a window saying that I had unplugged the device while it was spinning and by doing so I was jeopardizing data on the disk and so on After closing that window another popped up saying the format failed to complete If it matters the drive used to be FAT and I was formatting it as NFTS Am I missing something obvious nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

I have an old IBM thinkpad without disc drive. I'm at the C prompt, don't have any XP/ME software, and want to give this laptop away, but want to erase everything on the drive. I'm in safe mode.I get to "Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process...would you like to force a dismount of this process?" I enter "Y", and get "Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use."Any ideas?message edited by Ockham

A:Format XP hard drive

You state you have not disk drive. I assume you mean you have no optical (CD/DVD) drive? Thinkpads should have come with an optical drive so is yours broken or what?You can't format while inside Windows if that is what you are tying to do. If you perform a system restore that should be good enough for what you wish to do. If you have sensitive data on the hard drive formatting will make it harder to recover data but not impossible. Your hard drive should have a restore partition which can put the laptop back to factory state. Post the full model for help with how to do that. Also explain your statement about having no disk drive.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/format-xp-hard-drive/203418.html
Relevancy 58.05%

i need help im going to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows xp, but i dont know how to do it cause ive never had to do it before. so if any1 could tell me what to do that would be a great help

A:how to format a hard drive

When you reinstall xp it will give you the option to delete the partition then create a new one. Make sure you use ntfs file system and you should have no problems.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-format-a-hard-drive.29608/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi people

Need some advice, I recently re-installed win 7 ultimate because I wanted to clear my c: drive, but for some reason it installed on partition drive D:.
Now when I turn on the pc I have two options of which win 7 to load.
I want to format my c: drive but in disc management it won't highlight the option.
How do I reformat my c: drive

Many thanks in advance

Mark

A:How do I format my hard drive

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/118721-how-do-i-format-my-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I put a brand new hard drive(Maxtor ATA 200GB) into Dell 4600. According the Maxtor hard drive's installation guide state Windows OS don't properly support the full capacity of an internal drive larger than 137GB, so I installed an Ultra ATA/133 PCI card to support this hard drive. However, when I turn the pc on, the system can found this hard drive, but ask me to

IDE BUS Master Enabled
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

System stop here everytime. What should I do? I didn't format this hard drive yet, how can I do the format?

Relevancy 58.05%

I want to format my hard drive and then reinstall windows. How do I format the drive.

A:format hard drive

There are several procedures. Try booting to the cd/dvd of the version of Windows that you are going to reinstall. There will be a few options that you must decide on as the procedure progresses. I would suggest that if you are unsure how to do this, you may want to have someone assist who is familiar with the process. There are tutorials available if you "Google" for "reformat and clean install windows". It is not difficult but some of the terminology may be unfamiliar and confusing. For example do you want to quick format or not. Do you want to delete partion(s) or not. Do you know what NTFS is? For the first timer these things may bewilder and confuse. You will also want to know what hardware/devices you have and I would suggest you have drivers available for them. Windows usually has default drivers for the majority of those devices but not all of them. Also you may want to update drivers afterwards.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/format-hard-drive.731872/
Relevancy 58.05%

Today's challenge is the big one friends. I have a Dell Dimension with a 525 Mhz P III. I installed a second hard drive for storage only and all was working fine. Then something went wrong. I am not sure if a virus or what but now all is fine except I cannot access the storage hard drive. When I attempt to access it, it says it is not properly formatted and do I want to format it. When I attempt to format it (quick format or long way) it says it cannot be formatted.

I am running XP Pro. Any suggestions? If so, please provide detailed directions as I am a little in over my head in this particular arena.

Thanks so much.

A:Can't Format Second Hard Drive

It's possible the drive may have died. If you purchased the drive new, it should have come with a diagnostic floppy. If not, go to the mfr's web site and download their diagnostic utiltity and run it on the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-format-second-hard-drive.181658/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have windows 7 ultimate 32 bit, i have two hard drive one is my local disk and the other is the OS windows xp pro. I want to format that hard drive but it is says it it is unable to do it. What can i do? How i get into windows xp is when i start the computer up i tells to select which windows. What it does, it moves all the files to the first hard drive(local disk) to operate the OS. So i looked up for a formatting software which i found Darik's Nuke and Duke, i've used it before it is really good but i think the xp might link of the windows 7 files. I'm worried it might delete windows 7 too or some of it. So anybody can help me here?

A:Can't format hard drive

Bleeping computer : I don't understand how you are saying that it moves the files to run the other operating system . If it tells you to choose any of them that menas you have both installed and nothing will be harmed. In order to format all you should backup your data using a simple and easy software where you can store the backups online , i suggest http://www.dmailer.com/dmailer-backup.html.To format you can try any of this options :-insert the windows xp cd and try do delete all partition from the setup and install it on a fresh one-insert the windows xp cd and enter recovery console and try to format the one you want

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/322889/cant-format-hard-drive/
Relevancy 58.05%

installing build 7264.
mounted the ISO in magic disk and did custom installation.
the only options is load driver and i see the partition but i can't format it.

what to do?

A:can't format the hard drive

Quote: Originally Posted by Shayx

installing build 7264.
mounted the ISO in magic disk and did custom installation.
the only options is load driver and i see the partition but i can't format it.

what to do?

Are you trying to mount the iso in windows, and then trying to format that partition?

It might be easier if you burned the iso (not the seperate files) to dvd, then install fro there.

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/15084-cant-format-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

re: HP Mini / Samsung SE-S084 External DVD Writer (this unit has 2 usb connections for communication and power.)

Tried formatting froom WIndows CD

Got 2% complete, then "A disk error occurred" / "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

Now I can't boot from CD (get the same error message)

Can't boot computer either.

Is there a FORCED FORMAT I can do?

Any Suggestions are appreciated.

tx.

A:Can't format hard drive XP

and welcome to the Forum

I would run diagnostics on the hard drive

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

See this for how to make a bootable cd

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-format-hard-drive-xp-479527.html
Relevancy 58.05%

i was wondering if anyone had a good free format hard drive utility that i could burn to disc and use as i am installing a brand new sata 3 ssd and i believe it needs to be formated first as bios sees the drive but when installing windows i'am told no drives avaliable to install

i have fashioned a way to do this thru the windows comand promt if anyone would like the step by step procedure
thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/294029-format-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/how-tos/reinstall-faq.htmlQ. How often should I reformat and reinstall Windows 95/98/Me?
A. Windows and Windows programs tend to get bogged down on themselves and scatter all kinds of files on the hard drive. The Windows registry also gets full of entries and the startup routines get bogged down, some of which get left behind even after a program is uninstalled. A reformat and reinstall once or twice a year is advisable to keep a system free of the various bits of garbage and useless entries in the registry.Click to expand...

How often should I reformat?

A:Re-format hard drive

Who ever you quoted says once or twice a year, but I think it is done when you have a good current backup of all of the important data files off your computer and only then and when your system needs it. It needs it whenever the computer starts running like a slow mule going to china and can not be fixed in a simple way. There is actually no set rule of or how many times a year to re-format the system. I am using Windows XP Pro and have had it going for 4 years now and it runs just fine with minimal problems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/re-format-hard-drive.550853/
Relevancy 58.05%

my computer is rather old, slugglish, freezes up, and has a continual variety of boxes that pop up right in the middle of whatever I may be doing, causing me to have to shut down the activity at hand. I just cannot afford a new/better pc right now. I'm wondering if it would help to wipe out (format?) my hard drive? Is this process more trouble than it's worth? I was told that it would be a waste of time ~ I want a second opinion ~

Any help is immensely appreciated!!

thanks a bunch~

A:How Do You Format A Hard Drive?

I used to do it with Win98 by using the format C:/S command but what make of hard drive is it and what OS, XP? or what

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-you-format-a-hard-drive.55848/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have caught a virus and my computer constantly freezes!! I have lost my windows XP CD but is there anyway I can delete everything but what came with windows??? Sorry in advance for this stupid question.

Relevancy 58.05%

Hello Techies!!!
Building a new system with a 80 Gig HD. While doing FDISK I am only getting it to partition and FORMAT 12953 MB of space. When I use the XP CD at boot to partition and format, it shows the 78000 plus MB of space but only partitions a small amount and sometimes just hangs on the format screen at 0%. Maybe someone can guide me in the right direction here. I'm missing something here. It is asking about partitioning with the NTFS but kinda confused why it is not partitioning and formatting correctly.
Thanks for your time!!

Relevancy 58.05%

if you take a HD with win 98 SE and put it in another comp. with win XP PRO in it, can you format that HD with win 98, cause no boot disk works
thank

A:Hard drive format

"cause no boot disk works"

What do you mean?? You can't boot with a Boot Disk??

XP can format a HD as a FAT Drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-format.345471/
Relevancy 58.05%

Main c: drive no partitions.

Use a legit copy of XP SP3

Error message: Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of this drive. Then try formatting again.

How do I format the drive?

Relevancy 58.05%

Hello. I have an hp compaq. I want to format my hard drive. I already have windows 7 saved on my USB. I don't have it on a CD because my CD player is currently broken. Is there any way I could use my USB to format my hard drive?

A:How to format hard drive using USB

Just plug the USB and run the file inside the USB, to find the disk go to my computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-format-hard-drive-using-usb-465646.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I already have Windows installed on my laptop and now I am trying to fix a laptop in my house that has had a virus on it for a Hard Drive Format while that corrupted XP about months it has had it Format Hard Drive then when running a setup for XP to try and fix it it corrupted itself and then got permanently stuck on a setup so now I started looking at it and I saw that there was an option for it to revert to the way it was when it had working settings so I am uninstalling everything and deleting everything but I want to format it completely so there will be NOTHING left so can I do a full format while using the Windows Ultimate disc please don't say to do a quick format since I don't want to do that I have been reading some of the posts in the forums and people say to use a quick format and they don't say if you can do a Full format

A:Format Hard Drive

Yes, you can. I wouldn't even bother uninstalling stuff--it's just a waste of time if you are going to do a clean install of Windows 7.

The only difference between a quick format and a full format is that the latter checks the disk for bad sectors. You can do the same thing yourself anytime by running chkdsk /r from a command prompt or from within Windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/34649-format-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

The hard drive (120 Gb) was partioned into two 60 Gb. Only one part is recognized by the system. I can't unpartion the drive or get the system to letter the 2nd partion. I tried fdisk and it just led me in circles. The 2nd partion was made to install Linux, which I have given up at this point.

operating system ME.
Hard drive Maxtor.

A:Can't format the hard drive to use it all.

I have seen a few hd that were used in a linux system; most of the time I zero fill the drive. You will have an option on the mgf's utility for writing zeros to the drive. Sometimes this is called a low level format or LLF. I am not surprised you had problems with fdisk; it is almost useless when working with file systems other than FAT / FAT32.

Note this will destroy all data, partition tables, mft, etc on the drive. It will be in the same condition as when it was new, excepting for physical wear of the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-format-the-hard-drive-to-use-it-all.260008/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a 500GB WD Blue Hard Drive doing nothing, so i decided to use it as storage instead to go buy a new Hard Drive, it currently was a boot drive with windows 7 professional on it, so i was wondering how could i completely format it and get rid of everything to use it as my secondary storage?

A:How to format my Hard Drive?

You can just delete the partition in Disk Management, and create a new one. However, if you face problems you can use Partition Wizard free bootable.

The pagefile.sys on it may fool the current OS. See how it goes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/371508-how-format-my-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I am trying to uninstall xp from a hp pavilion 6623. someone installed xp over 98se and did not do a back up disc. when i try my restore cds i get a message saying "explorer needs to find the program that created the install" or something like that. I don't have a floppy boot disc but I do have the restore cds and a 98se full version disc. How can I get my C drive to format. I f I can't format can I install the Se disc over xp and restore the original files? If i put se back on over xp would that enable my restore discs to work?

Relevancy 58.05%

At the current moment, I am working on a Compaq Presario V3000 laptop. I have tried to format and install many different operating systems on the laptop and nothing is working.

It freezes when it tries to format the partition.
The hard drive is a 80.0 GB ATA ST98823AS

I have tried these disks:
Ubuntu/Linux DVD
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2
Windows Vista Home Premium

I have tried all of these and none of them are able to format the hard drive. The hard drive went to an error about 3 weeks ago. It said "Disk Read Error" for the longest time, until I started to try and install these OS and format the hard drive. Any help?

Relevancy 58.05%

A friend gave me a Seagate St360020A 60gig hard drive to use as additional storage on my computer. I have downloaded and ran the manufacture's installation disk, and set the jumper's according to the slave setting (refer to here: http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/iguides/ata/u6ig100129587b.pdf ). I can partition the hard drive as much as I want, and it will even recognize them in My Computer, but when I try to use disk management to format them it always hangs at either 7% or 22% and won't recognize them using a 98 boot disk with fdisk.
I have a Seagate model St340015A 40gig hard drive set as the master, and have double-checked all of my connections to make sure everything is right.
Do I need to change my jumpers to cable select or am I doing something else wrong?

Relevancy 58.05%

Hello to all....

I am getting rid of my old pc.....either to a friend or friend of a friend....
I want to make sure that I delete everything on my hard drive and leave no sensitive information that can be obtained. What would be the easiest and least expensive way to do this. I do not have any original os cd for this computer, I purchased it from a friend and it already had windows xp professional with an 80g hd. Please help.....

Thanks

Fedster

A:how to format my hard drive

You can use the free version of this and it will wipe the drive clean and have it ready to format and install a new os. http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22920,00.asp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-format-my-hard-drive.447915/
Relevancy 58.05%

I am fed up with XP. All I want to do is reformat my hard drive and reinstall 98SE. I have a an IBM ThinkPad P2-300.
I have tried:

1) Create MSDOS START UP DISK - result: ignored floppy and goes directly to XP.

2)hit F8 on start up - result: can not get to c: prompt

3)Tried 98SE BootDISK - Result:Ignored it

4)downloaded XP Bootdisk from MS - Result:Ignored it

Please help me get to the C: prompt, without XP so I can get rid of this putrid OS.

Thanks,
scottee

A:Format my hard drive?

Hello scottee and welcome to TSG!

If all the discs are being ignored by the boot process then I believe the fault lies with the BIOS, not the discs. Can you enter the BIOS and ensure that the boot sequence is A: first, then C:?

~Jim

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/format-my-hard-drive.105302/
Relevancy 58.05%

Need help on formatting the hard drive. I get it going then it gets to 98% then stops. Says format aborted 98% completed. How do I get it to finish??? Help please!!

------------------
LittleBit

Relevancy 58.05%

Here s what I ve got Dell PowerEdge w G hard drive i loaded Free BSD but kept getting write and read errors So I called support it s not a bad hard drive or anything i figured it s a bad partition but when I go to reload Free BSD it act like it installs it cannot format drive hard again but now i get worse errors I loaded the CDenab exe onto a floppy disk This disk contains Debug exe fdisk scandisk and cannot format hard drive so forth I cannot get the debug to work or i don t know how and I cannot get the fdisk to format the hard drive I try to enter fdisk c and it says that either it cannot format a network drive or that c is not a valid drive Any suggestions All i want to do is totally format my hard drive to I can start anew Thanks ahead of time for any help on this -Tia nbsp

A:cannot format hard drive

at the a:/ prompt you just type fdisk thats all

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-format-hard-drive.167114/
Relevancy 58.05%

I think my hard drive is corrupted because I tried to reinstall Windows XP and it froze. So I got a different XP CD and it froze in the same exact spot. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get in the hard drive and format it without the use of Windows. Can anyone help?

A:Format a Hard Drive

how are you trying to reinstall XP? from within windows or by booting from the XP CD?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/format-a-hard-drive.38488/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a Samsung 80GB ultra ATA hard drive to format, how can I do it without an OEM CD

Thanks

A:Hard Drive Format

Can you please provide more info on you are trying to accomplish? ie. is this drive going to replace an existing drive or is it going in next to an existing drive and does your old drive still work. Also what version of Windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-format.197201/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have vista Home on a preloaded Dell PC which is now infected with virus which crashes each time I try to load anything like virus protection. Also the PC runs slowly, so what I want to do is to format and start a fresh. However I dont have the vista disks so I will load an old copy of xp for my old PC. Which really may be a relief. My question is how can I format without the help of a startup disk?

Hello Nabsky,

You can pick up at STEP 3 at the link below to do a Dell factory restore. It will format the partition that Vista is on as part of reinstalling Vista back like it was the day you first got it from the recovery partition.

Dell - Technical Support

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/243932-format-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi all, After replaceing my damaged mobo on my laptop it took ages to start windows and it was sugested I format my hard drive but when I try I get a message saying,Setup did not find any hard disk drivers installed on your computer,Can anyone help?

A:Format the hard drive

If it is a late model laptop with a Sata drive and Not Vista you need to configure your bios to boot properly. Read your manual.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/format-the-hard-drive.77550/
Relevancy 58.05%

hi
i formated my hard drive and installed windows 2000
but now i have two main drive on the computer one is c: and the other is f:. there are only 3 files on the c: with 1.6 gb on the drive. on the f: drive i have 24.5gb .io was wondering if i could delete the c: drive could you help.

Relevancy 58.05%

MY Maxtor 80GB hard drive is partitioned C drive 30Gb W98Se FAT32 & F drive W2K 50Gb NTFS. Is it possible to format the drive back to just 1 partition running W2K NTFS?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Do you want to keep anything on the drive? If not its really easy. Just boot from the Windows 2000 and it shoudl give you options to delete the existing partitions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/format-hard-drive.499089/
Relevancy 58.05%

hi i was wondering how do you format a harddrive but i have one problem, my dvd drive wont work and i have the WINDOWS cd but i cant get my dvd or cd drives to work, they show up in the bios but in XP they dissapeared.

A:How To Format A Hard Drive

Hi skyline_2k7

You don't say if everything else is working, a better description will enable people here to give a clearer answer.

Does your Bios boot from CD-ROM?
If it does then place your Windows cd in the drive to see if it will in fact boot from it. If it doesn't then it may not be XP but something else.

Do you have a foppy drive present on your system?
If you do then you could use a boot disk from a operating system like WIn98 or WinME. These will normally install the CD drive from this bootable floppy.

Failing either of the above there are boot images that can be installed onto a USB pen drive.

Hope this helps

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/99954/how-to-format-a-hard-drive/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi.Am trying to do new installation (clean install) of windows xp pro and cant seem to get the option of formatting the drive.All it seems to do is rewrite over the previous installations(even though I choose new installation option).Since trying to reinstall I also keep getting the error "cant find c:\windows\system32\tools\delfolders.exe." It doesnt seem to be causing any problems as such as I can still use my computer but I would really like to format and get rid of any crap.Any ideas?Also clicking on C drive in My Computer and then clicking file and then choosing format, also says that windows cannot format this drive.Please close any utilities ................. and try again.No luck.Thanks.Darren.

Relevancy 58.05%

I want to remove windows xp home off my laptop, I had to install a new hard drive and when I installed windows xp I found out I didn't have the drivers disk so nothing works. I went to Dell site to get drivers and there are hundreds of them, the ones I did download wont work. So I want to reformat my harddrive and go back to ME. but I can't. What can I use to FORMAT this hard drive???

Thanks for any advice.

Relevancy 58.05%

I have 3 computers, all of them with the same problem.

I've made a startup ms-dos disk, I inserted the disk and restarted my computer.

Whenever I type format c: and press enter I get the following error: bad command or file name
Whenever I type cd c: end press enter I get the following error: invalid driver specification

Anybody know what could be the problem?

I used partition magic to format my hard because i did not have any other options. But the formating takes less then 1 minute. My hard drive has 50GB and I really doubt that it only takes 1 minute to format it.

Thanks

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi sorry to be a pain but my computer is running slow, i can recieve email but not send, i cant restore back to another date so im told by bt and others to format my hard drive any tips as boyfriends says it has to go back to shop to do that.any help will be appreciated

Relevancy 58.05%

My computer just started getting the BSOD a couple days ago and it'd come up nearly every time I'd restart Then nearly all my games that I was always able to play started telling me that I don't have DirectX I tried to reformat my hard drive and after I booted up for the first time after installing the Windows updates I got a BSOD telling me quot DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL quot and something about quot NVSTOR SYS quot I was never able to get back to the desktop after that screen and I couldn't even boot in Safe Mode So I did a search and read something about Vista automatically updating the Nvidia drivers can cause that kind of screen I reformatted again and installed all my updates besides Drive Format Can't Hard My the Nvidia ones but before I restarted I also installed the newest driver for my graphics card that I just got from the Nvidia website I couldn't even finish installing the driver before I got a new special BSOD Now my monitor Can't Format My Hard Drive just goes black after the bios screen I tried to format again but I can only get to the first part of the installation disk It won't even load the part where I type in my product key it just sits at quot Please Wait quot for hours Any help would be greatly appreciated OS - Windows Vista Home Premium bit Processor - Intel Core Quad CPU Q GHz CPUs GHz Memory - GB DDR Graphics Card - GeForce GTX Core Superclocked Can't Format My Hard Drive Edition

A:Can't Format My Hard Drive

It should boot into safe mode just fine. You will want to press F8 just after the BIOS Post screen.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/311029/cant-format-my-hard-drive/
Relevancy 58.05%

can you please tell me if it is possible to wipe a hard drive on a hp compaq dx2000mt without having any discs? i have heard some p.c's have a key to press when starting up to allow you to do it from the hdd i have 2 of these p.c's and am wanting to make 1 big computer with 2 x hdd's which have been reformatted any help would be greatly appreciated

Relevancy 58.05%

i am attempting to assemble my system (C2D 4500, MSI mobo, 2GB ddr2 800, dvd rom (for now), and WD 160 GB HDD IDE.
my problem is that i have the 160 in another tower attempting to format the drive.
1. it only shows 149.05GB "unallocated" in disk management
2. when i attempt to format, it asks how much i want to partition. how much??
3. once i do partition, what do i do with the rest of the space remaining??

thanks in advance to anyone that can help!!

A:Trying to format hard drive

mlkmgr said:

1. it only shows 149.05GB "unallocated" in disk managementClick to expand...

A 160GB hard drive will have a formatted capacity of approximately 149-150GB. This is due to the fact that computers calculate capacity based on 1024 bytes/kilobyte, while the hard drive calculation is based on 1000 instead of 1024. Hard drive manufacturers define a megabyte as 1,000,000 bytes and a gigabyte as 1,000,000,000 bytes, which is a decimal (base 10) measurement. Computers define a megabyte as 1,048,576 bytes and a gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 bytes. These are binary (base 2) measurements. This is why the two different industries will report different capacities for the same drive. The number of bytes is the same, but a different number of bytes is used to make a megabyte and a gigabyte.

mlkmgr said:

2. when i attempt to format, it asks how much i want to partition. how much??Click to expand...

You can either partition all of it, part of it, some it. All depends on you. If you partition part of it, the remaining will be unallocated. You can allocated this and use it as if it was a second *drive and store all your data.

mlkmgr said:

3. once i do partition, what do i do with the rest of the space remaining??Click to expand...

I think I answered this above

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-format-hard-drive.99209/
Relevancy 58.05%

How does one force the WinXP cd to read upon booting up. I have changed in the bios, CD-ROM, Hard drive, then floppy. It bypasses the cd and goes straight for the desktop. even if I don't set it to the hard drive it still goes to the desktop. I don't get it.

A:Format hard Drive

is this a version of XP that you bought, or did it come with the computer your using?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/format-hard-drive.238086/
Relevancy 58.05%

A friend of mine has a spare hard drive that he no longer uses. Apparently it's "corrupted" In anycase, he wants to wipe the whole thing and start fresh. I'm assuming that reformatting the hard drive would be the best way to do this?

How should I go about doing this?

Thanks for any help

-Cap'n Bob

A:How to format a hard drive?

I'd consider using the manufacturer's diagnostic first to make sure the drive is 100% functional. You can also wipe out all of the data on the drive with the diagnostic to be ready for partitioning and formatting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-format-a-hard-drive.217416/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello my hard will not format i got a error 1024 please tell me what to do

Relevancy 58.05%

I have an SSD drive
Every month I reset my Windows 8 installation and reinstate an image I have of a fresh install
(It's a pain - but means that I have a super fresh laptop every month that is virus and worry free)
The last time I did this... I got errors reported on the hard drive that had to be fixed
So... should I format my hard drive before I reinstate the image?

Thanks
OM

Relevancy 58.05%

First I am running win xp home , I replaced my hard drive 2 mo. ago with a much larger drive. I have made a deal to trade the hard drive to somone for another piece of computer hardware.
The old HD still has my OS on it and some other personal info so I would like to know the easiest way to clean off all the old info and deliver a freshly formated HD to the person I am trading with.
I only have 2 ide ports on my computer and I have 4 devices already on them . HD ,dvd,cdr/rw,cd rom. Thanks for reading.

A:old hard drive format?

First, shut off your computer and unplug one of your IDE devices. Replace it with your old HDD and boot up your computer. Windows XP has a built in formatting tool, (at least it should, because it doesn't run on top of DOS.) Format the drive, shut down your computer, take your old drive out, and replace it with the device you unplugged before. Simple, eh?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/old-hard-drive-format.30/
Relevancy 58.05%

My computer is driving me insane.....so ive chosen to go to my final option.

How can I format my hard drive and then install windows XP from an upgrade CD without having to install Windows 98 fist?

Hi NewFoundMonkey8

Quote:

How can I format my hard drive and then install windows XP from an upgrade CD without having to install Windows 98 fist?

I dont believe you can format the hard drive and use an upgrade cd. There would be no O.S. on there to upgrade to.

What kind of problems are you having?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/format-hard-drive-36760.html
Relevancy 58.05%

hello,
i want to format my hard drive ,
i do have dell inspiron 1150 laptop
thnx

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi,
May I know how you can go to DOS to format your hard disk?For your info,I am running on windowsXP Pro version 2002 service pack 2.Thank you fotr your guidance.

Erichan:

What you are talking about is about as fun as bypass surgery.
But, like that surgery, sometimes it's necessary.

If I were going to format my Hard Drive, here is what I would do.

1. Buy an external HD that connects to my PC via USB (external HDs are cheaper than many application programs).

2. Put a boot-up floppy into the A drive and boot up to that disk.

3. At the prompt would type the format command (A:\>format c:\)

4. Pray that I have successfully backed up everything.

The first time I performed that surgery, I forgot that although my own files were backed up, there were many many files that had been downloaded to make defective programs work, or updated drivers for devices (scanners, camera, printer, graphics adapter, modem, etc.) that I lost. The recovery time was not hours, but days.

Consider those things as you have your first cup of coffee this morning.

Cordially,
Cronista

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/format-hard-drive.416631/
Relevancy 58.05%

how do i do it. start all over.

A:how format hard drive for xp.

Hi there..again,Well, that can be done in several steps but understand you will lose all data on your machine by doing so...unless you back it up on some external source first. I don't believe (I've seen your other post) that your situation requires that yet....you have been infected by malware...that can be removed. But if you desperately want to reformat:http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-reformat-winxp/Let me know if that helps Big SmilesHS

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/31989/how-format-hard-drive-for-xp/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi Guys.
Briefly. I tried to reformat my dads hard drive to reinstall windows 7. It was in 2 partitions, so i ran the windows 7 disc and it ran through the motions, i formatted the c to re-install windows and it wouldn't let me. I went into dos under diskpart to try and format it that way, still no luck. I connected it to my computer then under disk managment deleted the 2 partitions so there was only 1 now which had the size i.e, 600GB Unallocated. I connected it back into my dads computer and ran the set-up again. Now the computer wont even detect the drive. I need to re-format the drive to like factory default, is this possible, also do i have to do it in dos, I really hope you tech wizards ca help me.
Thanks for your time.
Kevin.

A:Re-Format Hard Drive.

You could just plug it back into your machine and format it under disk management.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/90685-re-format-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

HI everyone,
Without going into too much detail. My hard drive has XP
O/S on it. All I want to do is to format it. NTFS. So I have
a clean hard drive with no operating system on it. How can
I do it?

Dave

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi GAng,

I got a new ide hard drive that I've converted to a USB device with the help of an IDE to USB2 converter.

Anyway, I have it connected and the drivers installed. It doesn't appear to be recognized in the bios but I don't know if it should be.

It is recognized in the Device Manager as a USB Mass Storage Device that is working.

The problem is I want to use it as an external backup/storeage device. I need to format it. How do I access it?

I also need to be able to move files onto it. How do I do this whe I can't find it listed in MY COMPUTER?

I've never used this type of device before and I'm a bit confused...