Windows Support Forum

Moving to a different tower

Q: Moving to a different tower

Hi. Well i have got an HP slimline and had problems with gaming since i have a integrated gfx card, so as i have discovered that a integrated gfx card is not very good i wanted to buy a new one that is more powerful, untill i found out that my slimline is too small to even put a decent gfx card in although i have a slot.
Well i have just bought this computer and do not want to buy a new one. is there a way to take all my things out and put it in a bigger tower then will i be able to fit a better gfx card in? if so how can i even do it.
Thanks for reading and i hope you can help.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Moving to a different tower

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 34.4%

Hello I am new to building the pcs so I am afraid I may have fried mine I really am pry I did not but this is what happened I finish tower Power will not work button My the pc and My tower Power button will not work when I turned on the power supply the power button on the motherboard glowed so then I pressed my tower button and nothing worked so then I re setup he F PANEL cords u know the pwr switch and all that jazz turns out it was set up wrong so I put them in right and tried to turn on the computer again the power button on the motherboard turns on but not my towers power button and so my pc will not officially turn on I am guessing and I am worried that I may have fryed my pc because when I took out the f panlle cords I realized my pc was still on and turned it off immanently and I am afraid that may have fryed the motherboard if anyone can help me it would be wonderful I am freaking out and have no Idea what the problem thank you for reading P S My tower button does not making a clicking sound when you push it I am not sure if that normal or it is broken or somthing it just doesnt make any click sounds nbsp

A:My tower Power button will not work

You could have a defective power switch on the PC case. Test this by using the reset switch as a temporary power switch. The power switch and the reset switch are the same for practical purposes except, of course, the size of the button (on most cases). If the reset switch works and is able to start the PC, then you know the power switch is defective.
Relevancy 33.54%

Asus announced a bevy of new products earlier today at Computex but one thing you might have missed is this transforming desktop PC chassis. Crafted with help from In Win, this unique convertible case from Asus' ROG division takes the...

Read more

A:Asus ROG, In Win show off practical transforming PC tower at Computex

"Practical" is debatable.
Relevancy 27.52%

For reference I have a Lenovo Y P IdeaPad laptop I can list additional specs if needed although I m not sure if it s necessary or not Anyways so I ve always been using a wireless USB mouse with my laptop and I ve had no problems with it up until a few days ago I was using a simple Logitech wireless USB mouse the kind that was no more than USD Well about a week ago I found out the battery was dying and I had to replace them but I waited a few days until I noticed a weird quot lag quot in my movements of the mouse Sometimes the mouse would occasionally lag behind my movements - say if I move my mouse in Moving lag mouse noise static causes and rapid movements it Moving mouse causes lag and static noise would show onscreen of much slower movements So I replaced the battery and reset the mouse To no success I still had the same issue except I realized I was unable to Moving mouse causes lag and static noise move the mouse while streaming YouTube videos or playing games or it would cause severe lag on both the slower mouse movements and either the YouTube video would stutter lag or the game would lag also causing this static-y sound to appear whenever it was lagging behind So earlier today I picked up a new wireless mouse this time a Microsoft one for about USD Let me just say that I have never had issues where I had to replace a mouse except maybe once every months to a year for other minor reasons So I installed a new battery installed the new mouse into the laptop and I am still getting the same issues Sorry if this is long but I am not extremely tech savvy in this wireless mouse department lol I have looked all over the Internet and couldn t find anything that fixed the solution for me I have Windows by the way Also if it matters I recently installed Norton Security after my subscription was close to ending and I also installed an older version of Direct X as well as install CCleaner I don t think these problems affected this but still I also scanned my laptop for viruses and I am told by Norton that I do not have any viruses or anything Finally I tried to go into Device Manager and uninstall the USB wireless mouse drivers and reinstalled them to no luck The only temporary solution I have as of now is to take out the USB for five seconds and put it back in but that solution only works for about minutes until it goes back to normal Also if anyone knows any solutions try to make a step by step process or something because I have trouble finding certain things on my computer as it is lol Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Moving mouse causes lag and static noise

My fairly new Acer R14 has the exact same problem and can't find a solution anywhere. I'm using both a USB mouse and keyboard (not wireless), and I also happened to fix it momentarily by unplugging them.

Some guy fixed a similar problem by taking off the microphone boost.
Got to Control Panel > Sound > Recording > Properties > Levels > Microphone Boost.
Maybe you'll have better luck than me.

I'm a noob with computers so I don't know if this matters but I downloaded a game that runs on DirectX 9, to which I understand the computer already comes with DirectX, but I don't know if it downloaded something extra for an older version. Also can't uninstall it.

Sorry for not being so helpful.
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi guys,

I have finally decided to skip the next gen consoles and move on to PC gaming. The problem is, I have no clue what to look for in a gaming laptop (I travel a lot and desktop is not really an option). I've seen many laptop optimized for gaming, such as Alienware, but these seem very expensive and my budget is somewhat limited, around 900 AUD.

Can anyone help me out? I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance

A:Moving from Consoles to PC

I think you may be moving backwards rather than forward. Laptops tend to get hot and playing games intensively will give them a hard time. Expect to pay a substantial premium.
Relevancy 33.97%

Bought the following brand new at Best Buy on and trying to get setup Lenovo K e desktop tower keyboard and mouse LG MP HQ monitor MS Office key code Webroot internet security disc After connecting everything according to the instruction of both the Lenovo and LG instructions double amp triple checking all parts accounted for and connected properly here s what happened Lenovo tower up turn Monitor tower, hooked on doesn't to but boots up fine disc drive in tower opens and closes properly Lenovo keyboard and mouse both detected Great so far except LG monitor does not turn on at all In the back of the monitor two things are connected blue HDMI connector with pins on both sides is connected to HDMI connection in back of tower AC DC adapter plugged into electrical outlet and other end directly into monitor Everything works when power booted up except monitor shows no life - no light indicator and black screen Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on Monitor just doesn t turn on at all There are driver discs for both lenovo win and the LG monitor and like I said I can insert them into the tower and close but nothing happens on the monitor display Best Buy said it should be no issue using the LG monitor with the Lenovo PC tower They will charge me to come out to my home even though I bought two year Geek Squad plan They also said I would still get charged even if they were unable to get Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on me setup Seems like there is one probably really easy fix but I don t want to pay to have them come out if I get charged regardless of the outcome Anyone out there with any idea what could be preventing the monitor from powering up other than Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on it s bad which is unlikely as it was brand new sealed in the box Thanks nbsp

A:Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on

If no standby LED on monitor, is there a separate on/off switch on the side of the monitor?
With LG there are usually manual buttons for CH+- & vol +- plus On/Off (although I have seen monitors with no on/off at all.)
Also check for 'hidden' buttons on the front lower edge of frame or under the front (right) edge.
I would try a different mains lead/cord that is known to to work, also check for a fuse in the plug, could be missing, or isolated with plastic foil.
Even with no inputs the monitor would show a 'No Signal' sign if it was working.
If no 'standby' LED and you have a separate AC to DC adapter block then that could be the problem. All monitors I've seen have a direct AC connection though.
If it then does work, the on-screen menu will need to be selected, and 'input' changed to HDMI.
Relevancy 34.83%

Hey there,

I've been playing crysis 3 a lot lately and it usually run's my GPU temp around 65-70 degree's ( MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB TWIN FROZR ) I know the card is suppose to run up to 80 degree's no problem but I was just wondering if I played at these higher temps for 3-5 hours at a time. Would that be to much stress in terms of heat on the GPU ??
I have the Corsair 230T Windowed-BLUE ATX Mid Tower Case> I have just the stock fans in it and I was looking to add more. I was just wondering if people have preference over tower fans ? if so what are some good ones and why ?

A:GPU Temps and Tower Fans

Even 85C for extended periods is fine.
Relevancy 34.83%

A few years back I was talking with a friend about dust bunnies in a tower & how to keep them out.
I had a somewhat odd idea of using a case covering somewhat like a pillow case to do such. It gets dirty,take it off & put another one on. Much like an air filter in a car. Does that sound ridicules or not?? Just curious.

A:Keeping dust out of a tower

Might keep 80% of the dust out, but not all would be stopped. Could also get in the way of case cooling, by entrapping heat insde.
Relevancy 27.52%

I have 64bit Win7 Home. My C: boot drive is a 120GB SSD with most of my programs installed on an ordinary HDD, saving the SSD for frequently used stuff.

I bought a duplicate SSD (same brand/size/model) for the purpose of creating a Raid-0 array.

I've backed up everything on my SSD, but how do I restore it once I setup the Raid?

A:Moving single C: drive to Raid-0

Or create image of the SSD, then apply it to the raid partition.
Relevancy 27.95%

I am using a standard microsoft wireless mouse, that has worked fine for as long as I've had it, but recently I've noticed that when I'm playing a game, I'll get major lag, but then one time I tried using my mouse PAD and I have absolutely no lag. Is there a problem with my mouse? Or just a graphics problem. Help would be appreciated.

A:Mouse lag when moving around in games

Wireless mice have been known to cause input lag while gaming. Try a wired mouse and see if it works; if it does, then the problem was the wireless mouse; if it doesn't, theres some other problem and idk without more info.
Relevancy 27.95%

Basically when I move my mouse (just a generic "optical mouse") I get a static sound though my headphones and speakers and people can hear it when it skype with them, unplugging mouse fixes it and it only occurs when I move the mouse. What could be the problem? Side note: This is my Dad's PC, trying to fix it for him with your help of course.

A:Static when moving usb mouse

Try a different mouse.
Relevancy 27.95%

This may when lag Video not is moving mouse be addressed somewhere else but whenever I searched this problem I came up with a ton of Video lag when mouse is not moving posts about the opposite issue When Video lag when mouse is not moving I watch a video in any player vlc zoom windows media quicktime it starts Video lag when mouse is not moving to lag after a few seconds until I move the mouse If I keep moving the mouse the video will not lag I ve had this problem on many filetypes mkv mp avi but oddly enough it is also present during flash videos As you can see from my system profile my computer should be able to handle most anything just fine I m running this monitor at x This is a dual monitor setup but I don t think that should affect it I change all of the power saving options so they wouldn t slow down when I wasn t active thought the PCI-E setting might do the trick but to no avail If anything this problem seems to be getting worse over time Please let me know if you have an idea of what the problem might be or if you require information to help Please note that my entire system profile is in my techspot account Thanks nbsp

A:Video lag when mouse is not moving

Mouse is USB I'm assuming.. I'm sure you've already tried a different usb port, if it's plugged into a hub - plug directly into the system. if it's plugged into one of the usb3.0 ports, move it to a 2.0 port. See if issue persists. if so, I'm going to blame a chipset driver, or a software driver for the mouse. if you've recently updated either of those drivers, roll them back. See if issue persists. If so try a different mouse - maybe, maybe it's an issue directly with the mouse. Try the mouse in a different system, see if issue is then on other system. Try these things & post back, I'm curious on this one. Hope this helps, take care!
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi everyone, recently been having an issue with my Dell Studio 1537, when I push the lid back the screen goes very dark, if I shine a light on it a can just about see what's on the screen, if I move the screen towards me again it flickers back on. I thought it might be an issue with the backlight inverter or a loose connection of some sort but its been tricky pinning down exactly what it is but it does seem to be sensitive to movement, can a failing backlight inverter work intermittently like this?

A:Dell Studio - Screen goes dark when moving the lid

I had the same problem with a laptop a couple of years ago. I actually pin pointed the problem down to a wire. A wire that feeds into the screen was getting pinched slightly and it was causing the backlight not to work. If you are inclined to try, I would carefully take it apart and check for any pinched or crimped wire(s).
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi Everyone As you can see by the title I m having a few strange issues At random points during the day my mouse moves and sometimes right clicks system volume mutes itself and turns itself down and lastly the DVD drive randomly opens them immediately closes a couple times a day First thought was quot Someone is playing a prank on me quot because it s my work computer and has various shadowing remote control tools on it like UltraVNC and Teamviewer however stopping these services did nothing Then I thought it might be a virus or hacking tool system runs Sophos anti-virus and the computer is behind a pretty powerful corporate firewall nonetheless I ran MalwareBytes HijackThis and Spybot Search amp Destroy and they found nothing I ve also tried replacing the mouse and keyboard just in case but still nothing Is anyone able to help shed some light on DVD Opening Mousing Volume By Themselves Muting and Moving, Drive these issues Not particularly keen to reformat my work machine and put myself out of action for a few hours Cheers David nbsp

A:Mousing Moving, Volume Muting and DVD Drive Opening By Themselves

Any updates on this?
Relevancy 35.26%

On my W7 tower, I've been seeing a WI FI icon
but assumed it just meant I could use a usb wi fi device on it which I have done. Well, today curiosity got the best of me & I pulled the DSL out of the back & it totally amazed me to know I was still online, no usb.
How long have towers been like laptops, come wi fi enabled?

A:Wi-Fi-enabled tower?

A tower can have wifi "enabled" if it has a wifi card.
Relevancy 34.4%

This is confusing to me. Anytime I've been on a laptop in my apt. I have no problem getting a good or very good signal on it, yet using the same Belkin USB device on my tower in the same exact place, low or less than good connection.
The router is on the first floor, I'm on the 2nd floor & a few walls are in between . Why?
I'm thinking of having the router moved, a booster used or relocationg the router.
I'm currently on DSL . Wi-fi is just an option.TIA

A:Laptop Wi-Fi good connection but not tower?

The router should be on the second floor above most of the equipment that it is actually connected to it for the best possible signal strength. I'd guess you're having a driver issue between the different computers, but you're probably gonna tell me that both computers are Windows 7 and have the same driver or something like that.
Relevancy 34.4%

So I have this problem: I have this new graphic card for my tower PC and I was wondering could I combine my laptop and my tower motherboard so that I can use the graphic card on my laptop?
Or is there another way to use it with my laptop (maybe a adapter or something?)

Relevancy 27.09%

I am facing the problem of mouse pointer moving by itself without any control, on my Windows Vista laptop. The pointer is moving to the right-top corner of any open window and placed on the 'Close' (X) button and if mouse is clicked or Enter key prressed, accidently closing the active window. I tried many anti-malware and anti virus tools as per the same issue posted in Virus and Malware removal section here.While doing the steps according to the replies everytime, first it looks like the issue is solved but it is still there when the system is restarted. Please help me on this problem which is causing lot of nuisance and disturbance for my work. Thank you.

A:Cursor moving by itself erroneously on Windows Vista laptop

It doesn't happen often, but the laptops touch pad may be waring out or is dirty. I have replaced physically broken touch pads with the same symptom as you describe here
Relevancy 27.09%

I m not too tech proficient but I m getting better and decided to tackle my biggest challenge so far I took everything out of a Gateway PC replaced the PSU and put everything back into a new full tower case Everything works great except the audio Here is the problem and details I only have an onboard audio card The new case has a headphone jack on the front that connects to the quot audio quot pin connection on the bottom of the motherboard I connected this After reassembling the audio jack on the rear of the case on the motherboard I O panel does not produce sound HOWEVER the headphone jack on the front DOES produce sound I m a little puzzled because that would seem to imply the motherboard is fine Does the I panel audio ports run off after new components case to Onboard problems audio moving of dedicated Onboard audio problems after moving components to new case power or a specific power cord that I might have placed in the wrong place or backwards Any other ideas Followup question THere is something Onboard audio problems after moving components to new case wrong with the front headphone jack maybe a manufacturer defect that is causing the left speaker to crackle and be less loud almost like a bad speaker but I tested for that In the case I took everything out of there was a single AUDIO pin connection from the front panel to the motherboard But on the new case the AUDIO pin connection had an additional identically sized pin connection coming off of it about quot from the AUDIO pin connection It had some numbers on it like a voltage rating or something unsure I just left it hang loose Any help would be greatly appreciated MORE INFO Opened realtek HD Audio manager program When I plug Onboard audio problems after moving components to new case the jack into the back I O panel the corresponding area on the diagram does light up and recognize However no sound is produced when testing nbsp

A:Onboard audio problems after moving components to new case

Hi, If you replaced all the cables as they were then you should have no trouble.
The front panels are in 2 groups. The USB sockets are 1 group with a cable that runs over to the motherboard.
The front panel audio board has 2 cables that run from it to a single free socket, and that plugs onto a connector on the motherboard that has 5 pins in one row and 4 pins on the other row, with one pin empty.
But I would think it's more likely the problem is the settings in Windows.
Right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar, choose 'playback devices', and if your speakers are plugged into the back of the pc, you should see them in the list. They should have a green tick over the speakers.
If not, right click on the speaker line, and choose 'enable', that should put the sound signals onto the socket where your external speakers are connected to.
* Might also be worth testing that your external speakers are working by plugging them into something you know works, such as a mp3 player, mobile, or tape player output. It's possible the speakers are not getting power. (Power LED on one speaker).
*Also check for muted audio in Windows, and the 'on/vol' control on the actual speakers.
Relevancy 21.07%

Hey all, I plan on building a computer soon.
I have a spare 160GB WD caviar blue lying around, that I will be using for the OS.
However, I would like to upgrade to an SSD in the future, so would it be possible to just plug in both drives, then move all my program files from my old WD to the new SSD?
because I really don't want to have to re-install windows and all my other programs.

A:Moving OS from drive to drive

You want to clone the drive:
Relevancy 33.54%

Nvidia P356 Quadro FX4600 graphics card - 768MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 dual DVI out thank you all

A:Wondering if this will work in my Dell Optiplex GX 280 tower-style PC

As long as you have a PCI express socket on the motherboard, that card will work. You may need a power cable adapter to be able to connect the card to the power supply
Relevancy 27.09%

hi guys,

i just need help for the cursor of my laptop...when i opened my laptop, windows already opened (windows 7 ultimate), then the cursor(mouse) doesn't stop moving (circular), in this case i cant open any files from my laptop, even firefox since the cursor continuously moving,...hope you could help me on what to do to stop moving the cursor.....thanks a lot

A:My laptop cursor doesn't stop moving (circular)

Try booting into safe mode. Start tapping the F8 key from the moment you switch on, when the menu appears use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode and hit the Enter key.

Let me know if the problem still exists in Safe mode.
Relevancy 35.26%

Hi all im looking at building a tower for general use and gaming as cheap as possible and best place to buy parts mainly what u reccomend i get please help

A:Help on building new tower

hmmm anyone please
Relevancy 35.26%

I just put together my new computer for the first time successfully Now I am wondering what to do with my old one Its still operating however it is approx years old running on an Intel Pentium I m old my not? scavenge tower To or not sure what components it has atm but I am wondering if I should look to see if anything it has is worth adding or installing in my new build My current tower has To scavenge my old tower or not? the following and my old tower had both a cd burner and a dvd burner plus some additional RAM i added but it probably isn t compatible I also know To scavenge my old tower or not? it was running a Radeon Sapphire gfx card Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR GB-DX quot GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD Western Digital Caviar Black WD AALX GB RPM SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Corsair Carbide Series R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ASUS P Z -V PRO GEN LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS XFX HD- X-CNDC Radeon HD GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity Intel Core i - K Sandy Bridge GHz GHz Turbo Boost LGA W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics CORSAIR XMS GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC HP X Multiformat DVD Burner Black SATA Model i LightScribe Support CORSAIR H CWCH Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX V W ATX V v EPS V v PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply nbsp

A:To scavenge my old tower or not?

Somewhere there is a young and budding computer tech who would love to have that, and improve upon it, if the price is right.

Otherwise, it is always helpful to have a computer in reserve for when things do not go right. on the new one.
Relevancy 27.95%

Even though I m Moving words those of a caution from Any who have? to SSD. still using a SATA-II motherboard with AM Phenom X processor I couldn t pass up Newegg s quot One day only Black Friday deal quot of a GB Corsair quot Force GT quot SSD for only after rebate I currently have a TB HDD as my boot drive and Win bit now takes an agonizing to fully boot no viruses or adware Things just have a way of getting bogged down Moving to a SSD. Any words of caution from those who have? after a year of steady use which I m hoping to at least cut in half with Moving to a SSD. Any words of caution from those who have? the new drive I ve already decided my best course of action is to simply move my current HDD to my second SATA connector when I make the SSD my boot drive install a fresh copy of Win to the new drive then quot relocate quot reinstall my most infrequently used Program files to the old HDD It will certainly take some time but I m thinking doing it this way might be the fastest route to getting back up amp running with nearly the same configuration as before with minimal muss fuss Any advice from other Win users that have made the move to SSD Thx nbsp

A:Moving to a SSD. Any words of caution from those who have?

A clean install of Windows is definitely a good idea. Since you're going with a 120GB drive I would load all programs on the system drive rather than splitting them across two drives. At this point Trim support should be a given (I'd still double check) but remember to enable AHCI since this is required for Trim to work.

I've redirected all the data folders (Documents, Videos, Music, Photos, etc.) to a traditional hard drive to simplify recovery in the event I need to reload Windows.
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello Techspot,

I am going to get my self a new case and a PSU. I would like to move my current system into it. Will the information on my HDD be wiped off or not.

And if there is any way please tell me. I checked the guide on Techspot but it is a bit outdated and I am not changing my motherboard.

A:Moving system into a new case: Will my OS be wiped off?

No, it will not.
Relevancy 33.97%

I might be building a new computer soon I am wondering if these parts will go well together Motherboard BIOSTAR H ML LGA Intel H Micro ATX Intel Motherboard tower LIAN LI PC-A NB Black Aluminum ATX Mini Tower Computer Case Video card EVGA SuperClocked G-P - -RX GeForce GTS Fermi GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card Memory CORSAIR GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR Desktop Memory Model CMV GX M A C monitor Hanns-G HW- ABB Black quot ms Widescreen LCD Monitor cd m x Power Supply Hanns-G HW- ABB Black quot ms Widescreen LCD Monitor cd m Processor Intel Core i - Sandy Bridge GHz GHz Turbo Boost x KB L Cache MB L Cache LGA W computer witth a Building mini-ATX tower a Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX I If any part in here is not compatible please tell me and point me in the direction of a compatible part if you can I do need the tower everything else can be changed Thank you very much and have a nice day nbsp

A:Building a computer witth a mini-ATX tower

Typo: you listed the monitor twice, once under PSU, Otherwise those parts look fine however even though it is a minitower due to the front mounted power supply that case will support a full ATX motherboard. I would personally recommend a Full ATX motherboard since they offer much more expansion. This is a good option and only costs slightly more, Although If you go with something like this you will get SATA 6gbps, USB 3.0, more memory slots, and a faster chipset.

Also Biostar motherboards are ok but far from the best try to look for boards from Gigabyte, ASUS, or MSI.
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello Forum I have an old bg external hard drive The thing works great but over the last years between my massive music collection and photo hobby it s almost maxed out So I bought a TB external hard drive What I plan on doing Move the files from from external 500GB Moving data my HDD PC to the old HD to my PC which has TB of space Moving data from 500GB external HDD to my PC available then using backup software to keep those files backed up on the shiny new TB external My question how do I safely move that data from the old External HD to my PC In the past when I first moved GB s from my then-PC to the External HD it not only took FOREVER but I ran into some file corruption some files didn t open and I lost some music somehow Now that I have close to gb s I m scared that I ll run into trouble with just doing simple copy paste Any advice Thx in advance grinthumb nbsp

A:Moving data from 500GB external HDD to my PC

Maybe you should try Teracopy.

TeraCopy is a compact program designed to copy and move files at the maximum possible speed. It verifies files were copied correctly with a checksum. TeraCopy uses dynamically adjusted buffers to reduce seek times. Asynchronous copy speeds up file transfer between two physical hard drives. You can pause copy process at any time to free up system resources and continue with a single click.Click to expand...

I haven't tried the program myself, but it's free, and if it does what it says it should be just what you're looking for.

There are also other alternative file copiers.

BTW, the speed depends on how you connect your hdd's, and how many/how big files you have. Many small files take a lot more time to copy than few big files.
Relevancy 34.4%

Hey guys, I recently bought an old HP OEM computer (a 'dc7700', I think) off eBay. It's one of those towers that is placed horizontally, and it's quite thin. I was planning on using it as an HTPC but it lags when trying to watch HD movies, so I think I'm going to buy some really low-end graphics card.

I was looking at this one (I'm in Australia and it's either eBay or local IT shops):

I'm wondering, will this fit in the tower? Do I need to specifically look for a low-profile graphics card? Thanks in advance.
Relevancy 27.95%

Hello, I have a few servers on a 192.168.150.x subnet. I need to move all my network equipment to a different site and I need to use a different subnet such as 192.168.151.x. I will be using a VPN site to site at the beginning until my point to point is insatalled. so I'm wondering if I change my DC and file server IP to a .151 subnet would I be asking for trouble? are there any records or dns records that will get screw up or anything that you can think of?

please let me know if this is something you would recommend or if I really have to do it in a different way.

A:Moving my server to a different site... need some help

hmm; Leave the existing entries for the DC as-is.
Then create the shadow entries which mirror the real site and use a prefix or suffix in the names;

if the true DNS is name foo.dns.domainName; then the shadow might be s_foo.dns.domainName
if the primary DB server is DB1.domainName, then use s_DB1.domainName
migrate from DB1 to s_DB1 & run regression testing here

when done and all regression testing is final;
DB1.domainName -> x_DB1.domainName
s_DB1.domainName -> DB1.domainName​and leave x_DB1.domainName for historical backup

The entire world is controlled by what is in your DNS;
today it's the existing system,
some day soon, it's the migrated version​and no one will ever know the difference
Relevancy 33.54%

It appears that during a storm, my tower was damaged, affected, whatever. The tower will not turn on. However, the green light on the back below the electrical plug flashes when plugged up. I have tried making sure that the on off swich is making contact, and I plan to unplug all the electrical plugs that could have been affected and then seeing if it works, and plugging them back in one by one to see if one of them were damaged. I have been told that there is a fuse that could have been blown but I cannot find a mention of one nor placement of one on the mother board. Is there a fuse?

I have also made sure that the surge protector has been reset, the outlet is fine, etc.

A:Storm surge on my HP mn1160 media center tower

I cannot find a mention of one nor placement of one on the mother board. Is there a fuse?Click to expand...

internal to the PSU and nothing you would recognize if you saw it.
A good friend had this very same experience and we had to replace the PSU and all was just fine. Having suffered once, the user quickly added a UPS to the setup.
Relevancy 33.97%

can any 1 help? ive tryed 2 put my external hardrive in2 my tower as it stopped working,and have it as 2nd hard drive ,i have connected it properly but the tower cant seem 2 find it?

A:Installing an external hard drive in my tower

Are you saying you're trying to install external drives internally? So you removed them from their enclosures? Are these SATA or ATA/IDE drive? Does the BIOS see the drives? Which motherboard do you have?
Relevancy 28.38%

Very soon I will be getting an SSD for my computer. I already have Windows 7 64bit installed on my current 2x 500gb Samsung F3s in RAID0. I will soon need to install Windows on the SSD. Is deleting the partition on the F3s and installing it on the new the only option? Or is there any way I could install it and not lose the many drivers and updates and such?

A:Moving Windows to SSD

You could use something like Acronis True Image to make a image of the hard disk, and then transfer that to your new SSD.

That would give you exactly what you have now, all on your SSD. You can even save the image on your F3's, and then using the boot media to load, and then restore the image to your new drive. Once thats complete, just wipe your F3's.

Saves countless hours of getting Windows back how you like it again.
Relevancy 50.31%

hi, I am going to upgrade my graphic card to ATI 5770 so I need a new power supply which has power about 550--600 watt. But the most frustrating problem is that I failed to find a proper power supply with the correct dimension.
I have an HP pavilion e9300 which uses a very wired power supply tower-150mm(W) 86(H) 140(D). But so far all the PSUs I found is the standard size --150mm(W) 86(H) 150(D) which cannot fit in my setup.

So could any PC God give me some suggestion, please??
Is any PSU with the size of my tower or can I just simply install a bigger PSU which can still successfully power up the comptuer?

Thx in adance.

A:Power supply bigger than the tower - frustrated by HP PSU tower

If the power supply will physically fit your case, it should work fine with your computer. Will the extra 10mm interfere internally with anything inside the PC?
Relevancy 35.26%

Iv no idea how to find out the make or moduel of the fan One day last year it beggan to make strange noises rattling When i reset the pc tower PC fan noisy is it stopped I looked online recently and found it could be multiple reasons so i opend the pc took a good look inside removed the fan cleaned very single area of the fan put it back in ensuring nothing was damaged When i turn the pc on and im looking at the fan it seems to be working perfectly but with the noise If i run my finger along the smooth centre to slow it it makes no noise If i slow it down with the three speed button thing that hangs from the fan then it still makes a noise The fan has lie a suspension on it and when i press PC tower fan is noisy it in theres no noise when i let it go the noise rattles again I personally think that inside the fan right where the motor is spinning theres is a problem of dust or something but i can t be sertain I want my fan to make no noise but be on full speed as befour since im a heavy gamer and i work with music too What should i do If i want to buy a new fan how do i choose one that will fit into it s place My pc uses a fan for the power supply a fan for the cpu and a fan on the side of the tower What do i do if i want to add more fans to my pc tower nbsp

A:PC tower fan is noisy

To find a fan or a similar size, just measure the old one in mm and get the same size locally or online. Case fans are generally 80MM, 92mm or 120mm.

Adding fans where they are no holders or screw holes would require something as simple as twist or zip ties or actually modifying the case to accept more fans.
Relevancy 27.95%

Last night i bought this:

Even tho my computer has SATA ports, the PSU doesn't have SATA connectors, so i was thinking about upgrading to a better PSU for my dual core, but is it worth it?
I have ide and everything moves fast already, so i was just curious

A:Is moving from IDE to Sata worth it?

Sure, less clutter in case for one, If I am not mistaken, sata may also be cheaper, yet faster. There are sata conecto to molex avaliable, 2 bucks. good luck and enjoy
Relevancy 33.11%

Hi TechSpot Forums!

I own a Dell Optiplex GX280 Mini-Tower PC, and am seriously considering buying a graphics card for it.

My question to you is, which would best be compatible with my specs?

System Specs:

Dell Inc. OptiPlex GX280
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
2552 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
500.10 GB HDD

Current Video Card:

Name: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
DAC Type: Internal
Approx. Total Memory: 128.00 MB
Current Display Mode: 1400 x 1050 (32 bit) (60GHz)

Does installing a graphics card mean you can achieve higher resolutions on your LCD monitor? That is partly the reason I will be purchasing one.

Thanks for any info or suggestions,

~ TomHax

A:Graphics card for Dell Optiplex GX280 Mini-Tower?

Does installing a graphics card mean you can achieve higher resolutions on your LCD monitor?Click to expand...

That depends on the maximum resolution supported by your monitor.

What's your main reason to purchase the card? What's your budget?
Relevancy 27.95%

I've been having issues with my monitor screen moving up & down at a high rate & I'm thinking it's a bad driver or would a virus do it.

Is there a software program that can diagnose the problem
here's my computer & video specs.

Computer: Dell DImension 8300 2.8 Mhz
NVIDIA: GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
Monitor: COMPAQ 7500
DivX Plus Directshow Filters
DivX Plus Web Player
Java 6

A:My Monitor Screen Keeps Moving Up & Down - What Would Cause That?

Swap monitors, or try the "jumping" monitor on another computer
Relevancy 27.09%

I have a lot of pictures and documents on my old Win.XP OS I'd like to transfer over to my new laptop with has Windows 7 on it. As I understand it, I can accomplish this using a crossover ethernet cable from one pc to the other. Would there be any problems due to the fact that one is XP and the other is Windows 7?

If so, are there any other simple ways you can think of to get the data from my old pc to the new one?
Thanks very much

A:Moving data from XP to Windows 7 using crossover ethernet cable?

Do you have external switch or are wireless router now. You really don't have to transfer the images you can keep them on the XP and use that as mini server. XP and 7 can work well if you install IPV6 on the XP box. Very easy to do.

click on start
click on run
type: cmd
type: netsh interface ipv6 install
type: netsh interface ipv6 set privacy disabled persistent

Under My Network Places
Click on Show icons for networked UPnP devices

Once the above is trigged you'll see all routers that support IPV6 appear and all home group and work group shares appear on the XP system. There will be also new network icon in the system tray that discovery link with your current router.

Other than the above yes you can do a correct over cable from your XP to 7 box or use USB external HDD instead.
Relevancy 26.23%

I m not particularly PC-savvy so please bare with me and my beginner like amount of knowledge Recently upgraded my home audio production studio Background hard mouse audio / accessing moving when noises and.. interference drive, computer with a new PC Background noises / audio interference when accessing hard drive, moving mouse and.. from pcspecialist co uk spec as below Processor CPU Intel Core i Processor i - GHz MB Cache HyperThreading Memory RAM GB CORSAIR XMS DUAL-DDR MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY Motherboard ASUS P P D PRO DDR S-ATA II x PCI-Ex x PCI Operating System Genuine Windows Home Premium Bit - inc DVD amp Licence USB Options x USB PORTS REAR FRONT AS STANDARD Memory - st Hard Disk TB SERIAL ATA -Gb s HARD DRIVE WITH MB CACHE rpm nd Hard Disk NONE RAID HDD amp NONE st DVD BLU-RAY Drive x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER R RW RAM nd DVD BLU-RAY Drive NONE Graphics Card MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GS PCI EXPRESS nd Graphics Card NONE Sound Card ONBOARD CHANNEL HIGH DEF AUDIO AS STANDARD Network Facilities ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN PORT Modem NONE I WILL BE USING BROADBAND Floppy Disk Drive NONE Memory Card Reader INTERNAL IN CARD READER READS XD MS CF SD etc Case COOLERMASTER SILEO QUIET MID TOWER CASE Power Supply amp Case Cooling W Quiet Dual Rail PSU mm Case Fan Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER Firewire amp Video Editing x IEEE a FIREWIRE PORTS onboard at back panel TV Card NONE First thing I came to do was install my external audio interface Native Instruments Kontrol but as soon as I did this I began getting background noises through my speakers when the hard drive CPU was accessed when I moved the mouse and when the graphics card re-draws any part of the screen display I have tried un-installing re-installing the latest drivers tried different USB ports and tried a different audio interface on the PC all with exact same results the background noise I have also tested my Kontrol audio interface on my old pc again which is in the same place in studio so eliminates any possible grounding issues and can confirm that the interference is coming from the new PC not the audio interface In my desperation I have looked on various forums and one suggestion has been that it could be a badly behaved graphics card which is giving out a lot of radio interference Apparently Nivida cards are renown for doing so Has anyone else come across this issue Does anyone have a solution I have contacted pcspecialist directly about the problem arguing that I purchased this pc for a specific purpose - audio production - and I can t do it without the audio interface working correctly but they have told me that the computer passed their testing and commissioning stage without any problems and they cannot guarantee support to third party devices So basically I m on my own Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated Interference nbsp

A:Background noises / audio interference when accessing hard drive, moving mouse and..

This may be a stupid answer... are all inputs, like mic, cdrom, aux input and ect. disabled or turned down...

just an idea...
Relevancy 35.26%

im looking for the thermalright 120 i cant find it on newegg at all any help and the cheapest price would be nice

A:Where to buy a true tower 120?

Here you go:

though I believe the Prolimatech Megahelms often outperforms it, and it is the same price:
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi folks, my MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum is GONE :dead:, and I had 5 disks on it:

Disk 1: No RAID - OS - WinXP installed
Disk 2+3: RAID.0 on Nforce4 Ultra MCP controller (onboard)
Disk 4+5: RAID.0 on Sillicon Image Sil3114 controller (onboard)

Questions are:

1- Anyone knows if ANY CURRENT Nforce/Nvidia motherboards model is RETRO COMPATIBLE with the legacy NFORCE4 controllers (with AMD Phenom CPU)?

-> In case not, any solution to access the RAID from the NForce4?

2- Since I think no new motherboards have Sillicon RAID controllers (now have AMD/NVIDIA only), anyone knows any PCI controller to attach to the new motherboard COMPATIBLE with the Sil3114? (I read that the new Sillicon controllers are generally compatible with the old ones), so I can access the Disk 4+5.

(I'm planning to migrate to AMD Phenom II X3 710 at the same time)

Thank you!

A:Moving RAID.0 arrays to new motherboard - from Nforce4 Ultra + Sil3114

You might try buying another MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum. Yeah, I know they're old but I did a quick check on Ebay and a few were listed. They all seem to be used but it could solve your problem.
Relevancy 33.11%

Hi everyone I m new here and have read over some of the posts and stickies but have not found my issue I have a Dell Pentium R CPU GHz and GB RAM extra added tower - Dell monitor brightens/darkens 4550 overheating? by me I have never gotten any kind of Dell 4550 monitor brightens/darkens - tower overheating? warning or message that my tower fan was not working properly For the last couple of weeks I have noticed my computer monitor brightening a lot and then darkening screen is still readable and then going back to normal This will happen anywhere from to times in a two hour period I have been Dell 4550 monitor brightens/darkens - tower overheating? turning off the computer when not in use giving it a chance to cool down which I now realize was the worst thing to do Today when I went to fire it up for about the third time during the start-up Windows shut down quot to protect itself quot and gave me a blue screen message to turn off the computer and restart I did and have not had that issue again Dell 4550 monitor brightens/darkens - tower overheating? today I have placed a large fan behind the tower and the problem seems to have stopped for now which leads me to believe the problem is caused by overheating The tower casing was cleaned inside around months ago but was very dusty My questions Does this sound like a tower fan problem and how do I check that it is working properly Are there capacitors or something else I should be checking for heat damage and replacing I know I really just need a new computer but that won t be happening for a while so any help you could give me to keep this one sputtering along would be greatly appreciated Thanks much nbsp

A:Dell 4550 monitor brightens/darkens - tower overheating?

Hi Jeri, welcome to TS. I'm not sure specifically about the 4550, but I know most Dells will post a warning on boot if the fan isn't working properly. If you haven't seen the message, it's probably not the fan.

If you're up to it (which it sounds like you are if you upgraded the ram yourself), open it up and look if the fan is spinning while the computer's running and also while you're in there dust out the computer, especially the cpu cooler and video card heatsink. While cleaning it out, look at the capacitors on the motherboard and/or video card to make sure they aren't leaking or bulging. A cap should be flat on top, it should not be "pointy" or rounded on top or leaking from the top or bottom. I've seen bad caps on a 4550 before, close to the cpu socket (between the rear ports and cpu), so make sure to look to be sure. You may have to remove the green "air duct" to be able to see the caps on the board.

Also, are you sure the problem is with the computer and not the monitor? It almost sounds like you might be having a problem with the backlighting on the monitor (assuming it's an lcd). Any chance of testing the monitor on another computer to be sure?

I suppose there's always the possibility of a a failing power supply as well. Sometimes when a power supply is flaky (power fluctuations, noise, etc) it can cause weird issues like BSODs among other things. It's possible that your power supply fan could have failed, and if the power supply is overheating it could be acting up.

Best wishes.
Relevancy 27.09%

When we set up our system, it was suggested we partition our hard drive. Now our c/ is so full we can't run scan/defrag. I was told I could just move files from the c/ partition to the empty d/ partition. The ones I can get to move are still showing in the c/ (i'm sure I hit "move" not "copy"). Regardless most of the moves get aborted saying it is being used by another person. we are not networked, but each family member has their own log in. Help please...I'm thinking I'm making this way harder than it needs to be.

A:Moving files in partitioned hard drive

No you cannot move them out of the partition... leastways not easily.
But using a disk manager such as Acronis, you can enlarge the partition(s)... or add drives. We bought some 500GB hard drives today for $51... and 750GB for $63...
Have you thought about adding another hard drive to your existing configuration?
Creating a dual boot to two or more different hard drives?
Relevancy 27.95%

So I was trying to help my brother out with his laptop which is really slow. The thing is, he's got two disks, the C: and the D: and the C: is only for Windows files while the D: is only used for programs and other files.
My brother (Who doesn't know much about PC's) has installed every program on the C: Drive so now it has only got 2,66 Gb left out of 35,0 Gb. I was thinking of moving the installed programs from the C: drive to the D: drive, is this possible without corrupting any files?
I tried to Ctrl+X one folder, but I got a message which told me that the program might stop working correctly.

A:Moving programs to another drive

First, you almost certainly don't have 2 HDDs on a laptop. "C" & "D" are just partitions of the same drive. If "C:/" @ 35GBs is almost full, no wonder the laptop is slow, since more than likely there are too many programs running at startup. There is also the possibility of "malware" infections, which are notorious for making machines run very slow.

If you want to put some programs on the "D/" drive, you must uninstall them, and reinstall to the new location. Programs have "DLL"s and system registry entries that are file paths of their own, and just moving a program folder breaks these links.

My best advice is to uninstall those that you are not using, and run "msconfig" Start > Run > "msconfig" (without the quotes). There are also "startup managers" available that can guide you & do this for you . "Spybot SD16" is an anti-spyware program that has a startup manager in it's tools section. I always install it for that as much as the security aspect.

You can download this from "Safer-networking";
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a friend that called me about his computer. He had just moved it and hooked it back up and when he turns it on now he's getting one continuous beep that sounds much like a "flatline", you know..when someone dies? lol I've only heard it over the phone so far and don't have details on the computer specs and such, but i was wondering if anybody has had this problem before and could give me an idea on what hardware might be the issue. I was thinking RAM originally like maybe it disconnected while moving it, but I had him re-seat it and it's still doing it. Thanks in advance.

A:One long "flatline" beep coming from computer after moving

I'd say power connector for addon Video card has fallen out
Relevancy 35.26%

I have an eMachines T which I use as up boot Tower Need help. won't a file server I normally leave it running continuously but I inadvertently shut off the breaker to that room while replacing an electrical switch When I tried to restart the computer it won t go It s getting power The fan in the power supply runs but the hard drive doesn t seem to kick in The monitor displays the eMachine logo and says quot Bios information Need help. Tower won't boot up lt F gt quot Need help. Tower won't boot up which doesn t work When I restart the fans kick on but after a couple of seconds - just about long enough for the logo to display on the monitor - but then already the pitch or whine of the fans begins slowing down as it returns to it s resting mode I also tried putting a setup disk in the optical drive but although the drive spins it won t go into the boot mode so it s not looking at those drives I ve tried it more than a dozen times - completely cutting power powering it down and back on using the power button unplugging and plugging back in Nada Someone told me to replace the power supply but I thought I d check here to see if anyone has any experience with this problem Would appreciate any advice or tips Note I do routinely blow the dust out of the fans and from the case It stays very clean since it s in an unused room and it doesn t even get very dusty The company server at work gets a dust buildup like dryer lint about every two weeks but mine wouldn t get THAT dirty in a whole year if I didn t blow it out from time to time so I don t think dirt is an issue unless it s really deep inside the power supply nbsp

A:Need help. Tower won't boot up

Your eMachines is one of those with the infamous failing motherboard. The motherboard failure eventually causes the power supply to fail, and your symptoms are simlar to what we have seen a great number of times... well over 125 times, and we have a lot of failed eMachines in our barn awaiting resolution. Your hard drive, memory, cpu and heatsink are likely still good, and you can rescue the data. But it is possible your motherboard will not work properly again. You might borrow a power supply to test, but I would not waste money on one.
eMachines wants $179 plus shipping for the board, plus $75 for the power supply.

It could also be something as simple as a bad hard drive, and a replacement for $50 or $60 from Newegg, Directron, TigerDirect, Outpost, or ZipZoomfly will take care of it. You can probably still recover the data off the old drive by placing it in an external USB enclosure. Borrow or buy, you can always use another hard drive.
Relevancy 35.26%

Has anyone ever tried 2PSU's in one tower? I ask because I'd like just one to run my video card <ATI X800GTO> so I'd like to know if that's worthwhile since I have a few laying around that are not all that great. I know it's probably a stupid question, go easy on me.... ;>)

A:2 PSUs in one tower?

I've never heard of that being done. I don't know where you would get the room. I would recommend that you get a new Psu with greater wattage.
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi, i got myself a Microsoft® Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 set.
It was awesome, oaky for gaming and stuff and all satisfying.
Due to the Spring Festival that i had to have my PC behind so..
after i got back from home, my keyboard is fine and all but my mouse is not moving
the Desktop receiver reads my wireless keyboard just fine while it's not reading my mouse.
at the setup page the reading says my mouse's signal and battery level is good, so issit the mouse's battery problem or something that didn't allow the receiver reads my mouse.

A:Mouse not Moving

unplug the mouse and plugin again.
Or restart the system.
Relevancy 33.54%

I have an Ultra E-Torque ATX Mid-Tower Case I was wondering if any of you could give me some assistance I am having a problem connecting the front power and led to the mobo an XFX Although I am having problems connecting the cables I did manage to connect everything get the cpu and every thing to power up using the power button on the front panel This is the goal but the same power button isnt working properly to turn the machine off So Im thinking that I dont have the cables hooked up correctly to the mobo I did read on Tiger direct where I purchased the case in a recent review that the cables arent color coded correctly So connection has been a problem I would of contacted the person that posted that but there is no way to do so I am not knowledgeable enough about pcs Torque Tower E & Case Mobo XFX 8200 Ultra ATX Mid to figure this out with out possibly XFX 8200 Mobo & Ultra E Torque ATX Mid Tower Case causing massive damage because this is my first build XFX 8200 Mobo & Ultra E Torque ATX Mid Tower Case and I was wondering if you can give me some assistance in getting my machine powered up correctly I hope someone can aid me in my quest to get my machine running correctly Im running a duel vid card http www tigerdirect com applicat EdpNo amp csid ITD amp body MAIN detailspecs http www tigerdirect com applications SearchTools item-details asp EdpNo amp CatId Thanks nbsp

A:XFX 8200 Mobo & Ultra E Torque ATX Mid Tower Case

I have the same case; the cables are actually pretty simple and can't really cause any kind of massive damage. Basically, your mobo's manual should have a diagram of where each front panel cable is attached to the pins on the motherboard. This includes the power switch, reset button, main LED, and Hard Disk LED. The cable heads and pins are usually labeled and it's just a matter of finding positive [+] and negative [-] connections. Again, your motherboard manual should have a diagram. You can really just screw around with the wires until everything works, the worst that could happen is that it doesn't...
Relevancy 35.26%

hello. My sister pulled the power cable from the back of the tower while her computer was on, now when i turn it on, the fan is abnormally loud. No image to the monitor what-so-ever. is there a fix to this? thank you =]

A:Odd tower issue

Sounds like some stuff got fried. It could be your Mobo. Isolating your hardware might be a good idea in figuring out what got fried. Do you have another graphics that you could swap for the one presently installed?
Relevancy 27.52%

The problem i am facing is seems to be easy but unfortunately i am not geting solution for the same.
my mouse pointer moving abruptly without the movement of mouse(optical).
if any one having solution do reply.

A:USB mouse pointer moving abruptly

Is it wireless? If so reset it.

Let me know?
Relevancy 27.95%

Apologies as any solutions may be buried in these boards Trying to move from an G Maxtor IDE to a G Seagate SATA Tried Seagate s DiscWizard as well as PartitionMagic but when I try to reboot onto the Problem to from HDD moving SATA IDE new drive I get quot operating system not found quot Even giving up and trying to reformat the new drive with a new install of Windows gives the same message I finally found my mobo CD with the bit SATA driver I thought and made a floppy with Problem moving from IDE to SATA HDD the disk maker application ASUS P NSLI mobo After the reimage attempts I try to load Windows setup pressing F and loading the SATA driver Attempting to repair Windows with the repair from the main menu and running FIXBOOT and FIXMBR from the Recovery Console don t work I finally gave up and tried a reinstall of Windows loading the SATA driver at setup After loading that reformatting the drive and the file copy Windows setup rebooted to an quot operating system not found quot message The new drive is on the controller I m missing something basic here wrong SATA driver but this one s off the CD nbsp

A:Problem moving from IDE to SATA HDD

I finally gave up and tried a reinstall of WindowsClick to expand...

Did you use Partition Magic to fully remove the partition first ? Then allow Windows setup to define its own partition size?

I know that you used PM before that, but what about just before the new install of Windows.
Note: Installing Windows clean, is pretty quick, if you want to try again (No Partition)

Hear back from you in about half an hour then !!
Relevancy 27.09%

I have a hard drive on a new computer with vista on it, and want to move it to another computer which has XP and all my files on it. Can I make the one with vista my main HDD, and then use the other HDD for all my files?

Will the HDD still have vista on it if I put it in the other computer, and the same with the other hard drive?

They are SATA, and the XP computer with all my files has 3 more spaces.

Is this possible?

A:Moving 1 HDD to another computer to have dual HDDs, keeping the files?

Yes, But...

The problem when installing a hard drive with Windows on it to another computer, is that all the drivers will need to be installed (ie another computer -different Sound; Video; CPU...)

Now that last one above, CPU that's really the critical one.
If both computers have exactly the same Processor slot on the motherboard then go right ahead.

BUT if you are plugging in the Windows harddrive to another computer with a different CPU chipset, that means you may get one of two possibilities:
1. Won't Boot
2. Won't Boot, and destroys file system (and possible data)

Hmm, that 2nd one doesn't sound good!

What you will need to do is a Windows Repair, before the computer starts up. This will allow Windows to work properly on the other computer.

Obviously the Windows CD and COA product key required. (Activation imminent too)

Also make sure to BackUp First
Relevancy 34.4%

Hello everyone First off i ll start with my system specs Number of processors Number of cores per processor Number of threads max per processor Name Intel Pentium Code Name Prescott Specification Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz Package Socket LGA Family Model Stepping F Extended Family Model F Core Stepping E Technology nm Core Speed MHz Multiplier x Bus speed x MHz Rated Bus speed MHz Stock frequency MHz Instruction sets MMX SSE SSE SSE EM T L Data cache per processor KBytes -way set associative -byte line size Trace cache per processor Kuops -way set associative L cache per processor KBytes -way set regard Need my PSU and my in tower old on to advice help updating associative -byte line size Chipset amp Memory Northbridge VIA P M CE rev Southbridge VIA VT rev Graphic Interface AGP Need help and advice in regard to updating my PSU on my old tower AGP Revision AGP Transfer Rate x AGP Side Band Addressing supported enabled Memory Type DDR Memory Size MBytes Memory Frequency MHz DRAM Interleave -way CAS Latency tCL clocks RAS to CAS tRCD clocks RAS Precharge tRP clocks Cycle Time tRAS clocks Command Rate CR T System System Manufacturer System Name snc eeh System S N Mainboard Vendor Biostar Mainboard Model P M Pro-M BIOS Vendor Phoenix Technologies LTD BIOS Version PG BIOS Date Memory SPD Module DDR PC - MHz MBytes Transcend Information Module DDR PC - MHz MBytes Centon Software Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack Build DirectX Version c - Sorry for the spam anywho I m buying this video card URL quot http www tigerdirect com applications SearchTools item-details asp EdpNo amp sku P - quot URL And It requires a minimum of a W power supply and I believe my current is only W My main question is Will that video card and this power supply URL quot http www tigerdirect com applications searchtools item-details asp EdpNo amp body MAIN quot URL Fit and work with my motherboard and my case and all that The current PSU I have now is AL-C ATX From Allied Technologies Thanks for the help nbsp

A:Need help and advice in regard to updating my PSU on my old tower

I'm not familiar with that brand power supply but the amps look good on the 2 +12V lines. It should run that system just fine. Just remember that the power supply is the only component on your system that has the capacity of destroying ever other component. I always am willing to spend a few bucks more for an Antec, Thermaltake, or other well known brand. My last one was a CoolerMaster. They have some good rebate deals right now. This 750W one for $80US after rebate is a good deal. The other thing you need to look at is output. The Aspire is listing the maximum output at 600W. That's not a continuous rate. The Cooler Master on the other hand is advertising theirs as a 750W unit. When you check the specs you see it is rated at 750W continuous and 900W max output. So on that type of rating you may be actually only getting 450 to 500W continuous on the Aspire. Sorry for going on and on, but power supplies are one of the most important components, and it's difficult sometimes to know what to look for.
Relevancy 34.4%

somethin is not right tower is turned on but there is no signal goin to the monitor....and the lights on the tower lights is now of my dvd drivers open half way and the other just wont has to be the damn voltage settings on my power supply

the story is there was a shutdown in my area for almost 12 hours becuz the city needed to rewire and fix some **** on the ground.

and when the power was up again...this happened.

i thought at first it was a bios issue so i took out that little round thing out of the motherboard and put it back but no luck......

my powersuppy is a 500w antec.....and i have a gigabyte motherboard.

the bad thing about my powersupply is theres no voltage i dont know how to adjust it...... ANY HELP well be appreciated

A:TOWER lights up but monitor no signal

You have a few misperceptions on how things work... such as voltage switcher on the power supply. You don't want to mess with the power supply.
Your problem could be power supply, hard drive, video graphics, or memory failure... or some other problem.
You can help us help you by posting your computuer brand and model as well as operating system, age of the unit, memory installed, and type of video graphics.
Further, we would like to know what antivirus software, Antispyware, and rootkit snoopers you have installed.
What was going on with your computer when the power failure hit? As that seems critical.
What was that little round thing? A CMOS battery with the number 2032?
Relevancy 34.83%

Hey guys ive been strugglin with an off and on problem for a good while initially i thought my video card was bad because i could be doin pretty off Screen still on turns tower and much anything and somethin glitches screen Screen turns off and tower still on goes black u can hear lil noises Screen turns off and tower still on thru the sound and the tower is still on learned to just kinda unplug it and plug into another outlet usually Screen turns off and tower still on worked but now my wife found out if u unplug net and comp and replug em in starts up no idea what it could be i sent my video card in for warranty when this started that didnt fix it so i went to the power supply it had a burn mark in one of the pin holes so i sent it in got a new one thought the problem was gone it was for awhile and now recently its been startin back up can this be a problem wit my motherboard or i just duno wut it could be Thanks nbsp

A:Screen turns off and tower still on

Hi fireOfear and welcome to TechSpot.:wave:

Your problem could be heat related. Open your pc up and give it a good dust out and see if that helps.

Also, Google and get Everest home edition and use that to monitor temperatures and voltages for a while.
Relevancy 27.52%

Alright You can read my system specs already and I m trying to get my old gig hard drive containing Xp home editon with a bunch of software and drivers already there I don t have acess to computer Moving drive old new hard to the install disc so I can t perform a OS repair When I start it everythings fine but it has that choose safe mode normal start last good config screen None of them work becuase when ever I choose one it does Moving old hard drive to new computer some booting stuff like that load bar or listing of a whole bunch of system files All normal right Now then the moment after that it flashes blue screen with some green and red colors in some places then it restarts I think it may work if I could somehow uninstall the drivers from THIS OS the one I m running now system specs Oh one more thing Lesee if anyone can solve this um put some special thing in your signiture or something nbsp

A:Moving old hard drive to new computer

Normally, when you copy a whole operating system to another harddrive, it wont work, It sounds like your system is now corrupted, Somehow i would suggest trying to get hold of an XP disc so you can perform a windows repair:
Relevancy 27.52%

I can only get to safe modes screen and no choices on that window will work, cannot get to windows logon screen. Bios sees hdd. need help!

A:Moving Hard Drive From Old To New Computer

Hello, dmcrme, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible

Message for all newcomers

Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, are you using the old hard drive as your new main one or have you put it in as a secondary drive?
Relevancy 34.4%

i am building a new computer and have pretty much decided upon my specs untill i was reading the thread quot power supply upgrade- need some recomendations quot i used a power supply calculator to try and figure out how big of a PSU cooling i needed in the new case note i know nothing about cases and have been having a hard time finding somethign i know will work to make a long story short my specs said i needed w on my psu and i dont know PSU, computer for new tower needed cooling, what type of cooling i should cooling, PSU, tower needed for new computer be using cooling, PSU, tower needed for new computer or any websites to find a tower that will work and include cooling psu having a few concerns about finding a tower and if i should downgrade from quad to dual processor because of my high PSU needs had a hard time with exact power needs because i am not sure if my motherboard is high end and other little things like that anyone who can provide information as to a tower with a good enough PSU cooling proper number of ports etc can tell me how much power i actually need or recommend a tower would be great here are my computer specs gigabyte ga-p c-ds r motherboard p intel chipset intel core quad q ghz processor dimms of gb ddr dual channel RAM geforce gts or mb video card havent decided but calc didnt change much between the i am using my old drives for the time being floppy drive dvd drive and cd rw drive assuming IDE harddrive and am not using any USB or other divices such as external drives not sure on the fans cooling aspect because i do not have a tower for it yet is there anything i am missing that will make it easier to figure out i couldnt find a thread that talked about cases so i figured cooling was an appropriate place to put this thread if not plz let me know and i will repost in the proper forum your help is much appreciated Swen nbsp

A:cooling, PSU, tower needed for new computer

Look at Antec cases. Not cheap but top quality and usually come with a generous PSU and decent chassis fans all in.
Relevancy 34.83%

I have recently bought the following items for my new computer.

Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

Procesor: AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz San Diego

Memory:1 GB (2 pcs 512MB) DDR (400) PC-3200 Corsair w/LED Display (TWINX1024-3200XLPRO)

Video Card: eVGA GeForce 7800 GTX KO 256MB

Hard Disk :Western Digital 74 GB SATA 10K Raptor (WD740GD)

Now I need a good place to put this bad boy into. What is a good computer case/tower for cooling? What should I buy to keep this bad boy cool? CPU fan? other fans?

A:Computer Case/Tower

That is a nice system. Damn!

How about this for a case? 730
Relevancy 34.83%

how would one beable to tell if a mother board is compatible with a certain tower.

im purchasing one of my friend and its in decent condition but i need to know if i can use it in my comp

A:Mobo and Tower capability

Check the Form Factor. ATX is the most common 'standard' sized tower, so find an ATX mobo.
If you're building a small form factor pc, then look for Micro-ATX case and mobo.
Micro-ATX will still fit into an ATX case though.
Relevancy 34.83%

I have an Emachines W2686. For a while it would work fine, smoothly, and efficiently. But just recently it decided to REALLY act up. When I turn the tower on, it sounds as if everything runs smoothly. Hard Drive, Fans, Power unit. But it doesnt seem to be reading at all. Ive checked and changed the memory, checked the hard drive, unpowered it for a day, and yet nothing. It still turns on, but just doesnt read it. Ive even switched out monitors, checked monitor connections, and changed the cords. There are lights, for example, the smart card light is on, the CD light flickers, (no cd), and below the power button, a orange light flickers once in a while. The main power button, that usually turns green, stays off.

I know my first mistake was getting an emachines, but is there any possible way to fix this? Might it be the Motherboard?

A:Tower problem (Turning on)

Hi Vermiere and welcome to the TS Forum :wave:

Vermiere said:

There are lights, for example, the smart card light is on, the CD light flickers, (no cd), and below the power button, a orange light flickers once in a while. The main power button, that usually turns green, stays off.Click to expand...

Sounds very much like your Board, the other lights show that the board is receiving power Ok.

Unless you have access to a similar machine then your only choice is to take it to a PC Repair shop for them to diagnose further.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, if you do decide to scrap it then DONT ever buy an Emachine again, all that I have read about them is bad.

Relevancy 28.38%

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post paranoia moving this but lately i have been paranoid over a move that will occur in a couple of weeks I m moving across several states by car and i am afraid that if i leave my custom computer with the movers they will either steal it or break it If they steal it it is no big deal because they will buy my new parts If they break it i think they will only pay me for the parts broken Or i m worried that they will screw something up where it still works but not the moving paranoia same as it did Now if i take it moving paranoia with me in the car i might not have enough room and if it breaks there i will have to pay for it by myself I am a very paranoid person over stuff like this and i was thinking about this for the past couple of hours I decided to go here because it seems everyone here knows what they are talking about I m sorry if this is in the wrong forum or if i wasted any of your time but it would make me feel better if i got your input nbsp

A:moving paranoia

use a professional moving company AND

declare the device and add insurance for the move.

1) it will not be stolen

2) they will refund the price of everything FOR WHICH YOU HAVE RECEIPTS
Relevancy 33.54%

I got 7 extra wires I dont know where to connect on my Asus p5GV-MX MB.

they are labeled: Return R, Return L, Spkout R, Spkout L, ground, mic Bias, and mic in. I have no idea where they go and the manual to MB doesnt talk about it.

When I get this PC going, i would like to plug headphones or mic at the front and not reach the back to plug them.

on MB, not sure what connectors are those:
10-1 pin AAFP (which has: port1 L, ground, port1 R, Presence#, Port2 R, Sense1_return, sense_send, port2 L, and sense2_return)

A:where to plug the wires ( for mic and headphones front side of tower)

Nevermind i think i figured it out, hopefully, thanks to ASUS forum
Relevancy 26.66%

Hope someone can solve this mystery. I am in the process of moving data from a local RAID set to an external drive source in order to free up some space. As I am waiting for additional drives to come in I decided to hook up a Maxtor external 500 GB. I am managing the data relocation though Terminal Services and for some reason my session drops and I have to wait several minutes before logging back in. The next time I logged in I had a constant ping going to the server and repeated the process as before and the same thing happend again. My constant ping went from constant replies to request time out. Then came back up minutes later. If I move date from the E: drive of the RAID to local C: I have no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Server Reboots while moving data to Maxtor external unit.

Check your event viewer (Start>control panel>administrative tools>Event Viewer) for any errors in the system and application areas. Post any "DISK" or "System errors" you come across including; EVENT ID, SOURCE, and Description.
Relevancy 28.38%

Hey Everybody,

I have a question, I was trying to backup all my music to blank dvd's and for some reaosn it wont let me move the music files to dvds, it says there is an issue with the file. Can anyone help?

Thank You Everyone

A:Moving music to dvd's

I figured oiut what was wrong, I forgot to format the dvd's, at first I thought it was the dvd burner since the dvds werent noticed hut all it was is I forgot all about formatting, Thanks for your help
Relevancy 27.09%

I've got 2 Hard-drives on my computer - C: drive which is an 80GB IDE drive and F: drive which is a 120GB SATA drive.

Whenever I install a game altho it recognises the F: drive in the installation process it will freeze at about 10% and I'll have to restart the computer.

I tried copying a file from the C: drive to the F: drive and that also caused the computer to freeze around 10%.

If I look at the files that are already existing on F: drive I can see those with no issues, and can navigate my way around and load the files up completely fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the drive to freeze and lock up the computer?

Oh I'm running Windows XP SP2 with AMD 3500+ processor and 1gb of RAM if thats any help.
Relevancy 35.26%

hi it is my first time hear and oi hope some one can help me

i have a new motherboard and tower and i would like to keep my old hard drive and put it in the new one as the primery as ther is a lot of important info can some tell me how to do this THANKS

A:ne mobo and tower, would like to use old hdd.

davet said:

i have a new motherboard and tower and i would like to keep my old hard drive and put it in the new one as the primery as ther is a lot of important info can some tell me how to do this THANKSClick to expand...

Hi and welcome :wave:
Plugging in the HDD is easy, only has one connector for the data and a molex for the power. Jumper settings are on the info sticker ontop your HDD. The most you'll run into is windows xp not booting properly, in which a windows Repair *Not a Reinstall/Format* will fix.

If you have any more questions, please start a new thread in the HDD and Network section of the forum with an appropriate title.

Relevancy 29.24%

Please help. My on/off power button on the front of my tower is disconnected from my motherboard. Where exactley should I reconnect it too? So I can power up my computer. Thanks

A:no power to tower , power switch hookup

Not all motherboards are the same. To find the correct header pins you have to refer to the motherboard manual although sometimes the motherboard labels the pins clearly enough so you can figure it out. However, with the motherboard installed in the case, it could be difficult.

If you can't find your manual, try going to the motherboard's manufacturer site to download a copy of the manual (usually a pdf format). If you have a major manufacturer made PC (Dell, HP, Gateway, Emachines, etc.), you might have to try their websites. Good info from those sites might be hit or miss.
Relevancy 33.97%

I am having trouble with the prongs where the power cable is plugged in on the back of the tower. The computer does not come on unless I jiggle the prongs. The computer stays on just fine, then, so long as I don't turn it off. If I have to turn it off, then to get it on the next time, I have to jiggle the prongs again. I have already replaced the power cord, so I know it's not that. Have you ever heard of this happening? Is it possible to replace this part?
Thank you for your help! Maggie

A:plug for power cable on back of tower

That power cable goes into the power supply. If the cable is good, there is something wrong with the prongs of the power supply. Do you have a spare to swap to confirm?
Relevancy 35.26%

Im looking to buy a tower to replace my old one. Can anyone give me a link for the best tower with os already on it for around 200-300$.I know that not much but im a broke dude I would like to find at least a 2ghz .

A:What tower should i buy?

Dell outlet would be a good place to start. Personally, I would save up a little more and wait for a good deal at Dell.

This is an example of what they have:

System Price : $269.00

Operating System Genuine Windows XP Home
Memory 512 MB DDR NON-ECC SDRAM 400MHz (2 DIMMs)
Hard Disk Drive 40 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Modem 56Kbps Data/Fax Modem
Base Dimension 3000 Desktop: Intel Pentium 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB)
Media Bay 48X Max Variable CD ROM Drive
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi everyone Drives SATA Crashing after moving Games RAID I m getting quite frustrated with my computer and I ve been scouring the net for any info relating to my issue Every time I try to play a graphics intensive game my computer restarts Sometimes right when the game menu boots and sometimes right when the game itself starts It always happens at the exact same position in each game This happens to any and all games I try aside from Majesty which is by no means system intensive Now here s where the issue becomes really odd At first glance it seems like simple overheating however I ve ruled that out since Games Crashing after moving SATA RAID Drives the games always crash at same position in every case This all started after I moved my RAID drive plugs temporarily to try and install a new harddrive Putting the plugs back into their slots didnt fix the problem Games Crashing after moving SATA RAID Drives I ve now permanently moved the slots into their new positions and initially I thought it had to do with the harddrives themselves But I also ruled that out since I can run the game over the network off of another computer and it will still crash I ve done the following to try and fix it -Reinstalled windows -Formatted the Raid drives -Rebuilt the Raid Array -Reinstalled the SATA RAID Drivers -Replaced the SATA Raid Drivers -Updated the BIOS The problem started right after I moved the plugs from their initial SATA slots and then back again I bet it s just some BIOS setting or something but I honestly can t figure out what it could be comp specs AMD Athlon A V Deluxe Mobo gb ram gb SATA Raptor gb Seagate RAID array Nvidia GeForce GT Windows XP Professional SP Hope someone can figure this out nbsp

A:Games Crashing after moving SATA RAID Drives

It sounds more like aram problem. try testing your ram with Memtest. ot try different modules if you have any.
Relevancy 33.54%

Hi, I really need help finding a case for my computer. I dont really like the current one, its just borring. If you could help me choose one that would be great!

i dont want to spend over 100$, and it has to be a full tower.... thats all i know.

here are some specs for my comp, if you need more i can get them easily:

intel pentium 4
package: pga-423

Model4sta, pcb version
chipset: i850, rev. a2

graphic interface:
version: agp version 2.0
transfer rate: 4x
Max. supported: 4x
sideband: enabled

Type: rdram
Size: 512mb
Channel #: dual

Hope this helps, thanks

A:need help choosing a full tower case..... dont know where to start.

it is about 20.00 more than your stated budget, but the Antec P160 aluminum case is hard to beat.
Relevancy 34.4%

Burning smell from tower and then nothing else works it wont even start

A:burning smell from tower now nothing works

Sounds like a bad power supply, also, check all the wires to see if there is any damage.
Relevancy 28.38%

Ello all,
I have 3 fans on my pc one on the processor, one on the back and one on the side. Now on the side of my pc i have 2 slots for a fan, the one i am using is the top slot, now that is blowing air right on to my processor, could that cause any probs, would it make a diff if i put it on the other slot.
Sorry if i am wasting anyones time but like i allways say you dont know if you dont ask

A:Moving fan ?

Leave it where it is. The extra cooling is good for your cpu.

Regards Howard
Relevancy 20.64%

Well we're finally upgrading our server from Windows NT to Windows 2003. Is there any way to import/export all of my data onto the new server? Or should I just share everything I have on NT and then just copy/cut all the information and paste it onto 2003? I'm just trying to figure out what will be the easiest way to move everything since I have about 700 users on NT lol. I really don't want to type all the names in again on 2003....Thanks in advance! :approve:

A:Moving from Windows Server NT to Windows Server 2003

Are you getting a new server with 2003 on it or just upgrading the existing box to 2003?

If it's upgrading the existing server, start here:
Relevancy 33.97%

Im building a computer for the first time. I have an a8n32-sli deluxe motherboard and a cm stacker stc-t01 case. I am having trouble figuring out which cables to plug into which motherboard connectors for the lights, power button, reset sw, etc. I have looked at the diagram in the manual but it doesent do a good job of explaining what goes where. Any help would be appreciated.

A:Stuck on hooking up tower cables to mobo.

Alot of people do the connecting through trial and error loosly based on the diagram shown for the mother board, i honestly cannot think of an easy solution to this, unless someone would like to help out?

I have always done this through trail and error, this doesnt always work for me but try noting down the wires that are labelled and lining them up the same in the diagram rotating the digram or pc in the same direction, its annoying but it does work eventually, ideally i need to look at the diagram + mother board together to try and link them...
Relevancy 27.95%

Alright, I'm in the process of getting the parts to build a new PC. I currently use a Dell Dimension 8250, and as part of my new system, I want to take my current Hard Drive out of my Dell and put it into the new PC with its current copy of Windows XP, all of its data, etc. My question is, if I take the necessary steps to configure the HDD for the new motherboard that is in my new system, will everything simply work? Or will the Hard Drive recognize it is no longer in a Dell system and refuse to boot Windows?

Basically, I'm wondering if Dell made it so that the copy of windows on my HDD will detect if the computer its in is still a Dell.

A:Moving HDD to new computer without reformating

Someone may have a workaround for this, but I think you are going to run into some problems trying to do what you want to do.

When you go to boot up windows (if it let's you in the first place without a dell bios), it is going to start loading up all the drivers for your dell motherboard, and crash.

The typical work around for this is to use the XP repair function and let it install the new drivers for your new motherboard.

What we need to confirm (someone here will know the answer) is whether or not it first checks if you have a Dell bios. If it does, then you're going to have a hard time, and will have to either:
a) make a new XP install CD (don't know if there is a way to use your XP licence though)
b) buy a new version of windows.
Relevancy 27.95%

Anyone know how to get rid of the sound my computer makes every time I move the mouse ?
Relevancy 35.26%

hI I am new to this site not sure if I have come to the right place or not??
I know absolutely nothing about computers.
I hooked up a used tower it worked great for 15 mins then comp. froze. tried to reboot and orange light came on moniter stayed black..tower is not making any beeps at all..Can some one help???

A:Tower Not Working

Do you happen to have any of the computer's specs you can post?
Problems like this could be a number of things, but my guess is either dead PSU or motherboard.

Let's start here: open up the case, and see if there are any led lights on the motherboard that are lit up, even when the power is off, as long as it is plugged in you should get something.
Relevancy 34.4%

Im thinking about buying a new computer tower/case/chasis whichever you prefer (or is preferred). OK, so should I be aware of anything like whether my power supply from my old case will fit, or if everything else will fit (im considering getting a bigger tower so im sure it will... umm just anything in general about this kinda thing. To clarify, all Im doing is moving all my old stuff from my tower now into a new one and am curious if I should be aware of anything. Sorry for the repetition Thanks for any help!

A:Buying a new tower.. any things i should be aware of?

You could transfer everything into a new case without hesitation.
It would be advisable however, to buy a larger (min. 400 Watt) powersupply like Enermax, in case you want to upgrade anything else in the near future

Alternatively, look at the Antec Sonata case (available from for about £90.- which includes a quiet powersupply and rubber suspension for your HD's making it an extremely quiet case.

When transferring your old gear, watch out for static and be extra careful when mounting the MoBo.
Relevancy 34.83%

Ok I have Athlon xp based computers runs great As for the other First I was a little skimpy on the jel so I added about a mm strip of jel down the center of the dye Now my computer is not shutting down I have a different case and yes it was instead of for the other one but it had some features that were better for its location like side usb ports blah blah blah So I got this thing down to C when the processor is idle at and below When I run games it climbs towards C before I stop it I think the case sucks and tower my my desk for cubby under I also got only cfm fans It will also be in a desk inclosure with the door locked cracket inches I have kids I have weak fans in the front and one weak fan in the back Also there is not much breathing room in the back of the cubby I punched out the backing but it is still only - inches form the wall in the back Tight squeeze I am thinking of putting a regular fan in the cubby to blow hot air the computer makes out the back Just a regular fan you would plug into an AC outlet Is that an idea as long as I don t face the regular fan into any computer cubby for my tower under my desk vents Just gonna put it cubby for my tower under my desk on top of the computer to circulate outside air outta the desk enclosure I plan on getting a pci fan to suck air in and more powerful case fans Where should I put the louder fans for best flow Will this do the job Our should I throwout the case and rip everything out and start over Not Thx for any info nbsp

A:cubby for my tower under my desk

I once did something similar to that, I actually cut a hole in the inside of the cubby and mounted a fan there, inline with the side fan in my case, I backed the desk 6" away from the wall, and punched out the entire cutout area in the back of the cubby.

I also once created a similar setup for a client but instead of punching out the back, I put a duct running from the back case fan to the floor, where it blew out, like a dryer duct. It was a bit extreme but it was a small room and it helped lower the room temp by quite a bit, the comp temps also came down to below 50c after that.
Relevancy 34.4%

st Thanks for advice Mid-Tower ? SFF Need or Design Laptop, here some looking at this post nd I am in need of some advice here Problem I am a hard-core gamer and love FRAGGING like everyone else here BUT I am also a Professional Driver for a Good Laptop, SFF or Mid-Tower Design ? Need some advice here Company that gives its drivers a little leyway in equiping our trucks Laptop, SFF or Mid-Tower Design ? Need some advice here Presently I have a POS HP laptop and a watt inverter I know not much for gaming is it blush So since I ve built my own systems for Home use for a long time now I came up with this idea I bought me a watt inverter and am thinking of building a Mid-tower computer Laptop, SFF or Mid-Tower Design ? Need some advice here for over the road use only Heres my present list of parts that I have on hand now that I could build with AMD gigs of ram MSI Neo Platinum MOBO Cd-Rom Drives SATA HD s SONY in LCD monitor I have no case as of yet cause heres the problem Is it much better to buy a Shuttle SFF like the SN P and lose all the extra pci buses that I can use or find me a case that I can use Before answering I was also thinking some time down the road I might go with a Dual CPU like the so that leaves me with a difficult choise here Really I dont think it s a problem but I am leaning towards a Full Mid-Tower design What if any suggestions do you guys think nbsp

A:Laptop, SFF or Mid-Tower Design ? Need some advice here

If you're gonna be lugging this system around with you, I dont see how much benefit you'll get from extra PCI slots. I'm not sure how smooth your ride is, but I'm fairly certain I wouldnt want to run my PC around in a truck all day. To be honest if anything I'd be considering an Alienware laptop ( as you can also get a PCMCIA cellular card for fraggin over the net, and have a lot less cable mess cluttering up your cab.
Relevancy 23.65%

I had an adaptec 1210SA SATA RAid controller with two 160 Gb. drive mounted in RAID 0. I bought a new controller (Adaptec 2410SA) and I disconnected my two 160 Gb. drive to connect on my new controller. But now it doesn't see my RAID 0. So, I reinstalled my old 1210SA and reconnect my two drive but now it only see a JBOD and windows can't access my drives. I see that I can create a RAID 0 without initialize the two hard drives in the controller BIOS utility, but I'm not sure I could recreate the RAID 0 without loosingall my data (and damn me I should check out before doing the upgrade but I wish it's not too late). Could someone give me a hint how to recover my data? (And sorry for my english I from Montréal, Québec and I speak french). Tank you.
Relevancy 27.52%

Help Needed: Moving an old hard drive to a new computer

I have a new computer and want to move my old secondary hard drive to my new computer (again acting as a secondary drive). Once i have installed the drive, the drive is recognised in the bios but upon entering windows it does not automatically appear. I can find the drive in the Disk Management part of Computer Management screen but it says the disk is dynamic and needs to be changed to Basic, but doing this will make me lose all the data on the hard drive. I need this data.
Is there any way of getting the drive to work without losing the data?

A:Moving an old hard drive to a new computer

put the HD back into ur old computer, then:

put ur new HD on ur old computer, and transfer the files accross

put it in a friends computer, get him to back the files onto their HD then, put his HD on ur computer

network the two computers together and transfer the files across

if ur old computer has a cd burner, make a heap of Cdr's with all the files spread across them

thats all i can think of for now
have fun!
p.s try the networkin one first
Relevancy 28.38%

I am trying to move my 30 gig HD from my Emachine to my new puter and having some difficulties. I am running XP pro and was told that this was a simple process. Should I run the main IDE cable from the HD directly to the motherboard only, and then run the secondary IDE cable from the cd-rw to the dvd-rw then to the motherboard? Also obviously the hd should be set at master, but how do i set the jumpers for the cdrw and the dvdrw? cdrw as master and dvdrw as slave as that is the order they are from the top of the tower? Thanks for any help I can get.

A:Moving HD to a new puter???

Simple, the position doesnt matter but jumpers DOES matter

30gb HD into IDE1 and set it in MASTER
CD-RW into IDE2 and set it in MASTER
DVD-RW into IDE2 and set it in SLAVE

The jumper is located in the back of the cd and dvd burner. the orders doesnt matter.

Relevancy 27.52%

Just wondering...

I have 2 hard drives, one with windows installed on it and the other for everything else... programs and personal files.

The main reason for this was to protect everything in the second hard drive in case windows became unusable. However, in the event of a Windows reinstall, useful things such as desktop links and start menu programs are erased. Is there a way of moving them from one HD to another? Also, are there other things to consider?

A:Moving start menu and desktop

the desktop links are stored in your profile (if you are using xp it's located in: %systemroot%\documents and settings\profile\desktop

You also can copy other stuff like favorites.
Relevancy 34.83%

Well no matter what I ve tried my computer seems intent in eing a insert bad word here Specs and such ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Machine name JAVIERXP Operating System Windows XP Professional Build Service Pack xpsp - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer VIA Technologies Inc System Model KT - BIOS Phoenix - AwardBIOS v PG Processor AMD Athlon tm GHz Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C WINDOWS DirectX Version DirectX c DX Setup Parameters Not found DxDiag Version bit Unicode The tower either starts to beep after every seconds a semi long continous beep and then it just repeats itself And it goes indefinetly Then I figured how to apprently reset it by removing a small pin like cover and putting it back again and it works BUT only temporarily as it Tower Problems still New giving presents itself to be rather unstable Sometimes it beeps like it passed but doesn t do anything else Sometimes it statys stuck at the Console selection menu Sometimes New Tower still giving Problems it stays New Tower still giving Problems stuck at the Configuration New Tower still giving Problems menu Last Known working configuration menu thingy Sometimes after multiple resets it gets into win xp but then suddenly just turns off and auto resets itself Sometimes it just falls back to that long continious beep every three seconds again which at time it happens I can t go into the system and have to remove the little pin cover and replace it again I REALLY dont want to take it to a techie but Im beginning to think I would have Any one knows whats going on Ah yes when it does go back in soemtimes an error window appears I jotted down the errors Here s a list of errors the machine has given me BCCode d BCP D BCP BCP BCP B OSVer SP Product BCCode BCP FFFDB D BCP BCP BF B BCP OSVer SP Product BCCode BCP FFFDB D BCP BCP BF B BCP OSVer SP Product BCCode BCP FFFDE D BCP BCP BF B BCP OSVer SP Product So I dont know whether this is software or hardware related anymore nbsp
Relevancy 34.83%

i toook off the side case on my tower and i was wondering if it would be better if it left it on.. since i have a fan and it would make it better for cold air to stay in..

A:Is it better to have the case on the side of the tower on or off?

Im not exactly sure, i guess it depends on the computer setup. You can check with a temp monitoring software like speedfan and check temps with it off and with it on. Personally ive noticed lower temps with the case off when i had no case fans. But recently i got a power supply with 2 fans, and have added 4 case fans. Since ive created a strong airflow through my computer, taking the case off would disrupt that flow and make the case fans pretty much useless, i see lower temps with the case on and all 4 case fans going.
Relevancy 20.21%

Hard Drive Installation Problem

I am trying to move a hard drive that was installed on an AMD processor
system to a computer with a Pentium 4 motherboard. The drive has Windows XP installed. What do I need to do to get this to work. Ultimately I want to install a new hard drive and move the files over from the old one that was installed in the AMD system.

A:Hard Drive Problem - Moving hard drive from AMD system to Pentium system

Should be a simple move

There is nothing uniquely different about a computer with an AMD vs Intel processor. The hard drive, which I assume is your only drive, is not a processor dependent peripheral. Bringing up a new motherboard, however, will trigger plug and play reinstalls for most of your peripherals--sound "card", video card, modem, e.t.c.

When you install a "new" hard drive you will need devise a cut over procedure. Usually, what I do is as follows:

- Install the new drive as a slave drive, keeping the old drive (i.e. C: ) as the master. The new drive will have no partitions and will not be formatted. Jumpers will have to be set on each drive to accomplish this.

- Using Partition Magic, or a similar utility, copy the primary partition from C: to the new drive which will now assigned drive letter D.

- If you have other drive letters in use, and you intend to retire the old drive, copy each letter to the extended partition on the new drive. If you intend to keep you old drive as a slave drive you can leave the additional drive letters alone.

- After all of the copying is done you must now reverse the master/slave jumpers on each drive. Your new drive will be drive C, your old drives primary partition will become drive D.

Until everything seems to be working OK for a week or two I usually "hide" my old primary partition, which is now drive D. You can then either delete and reformat the old primary partition (now hidden) or keep it as a backup in case you have a disaster on your new C: drive.

Do check out the internet (Google, Yahoo or whatever) and you will find there are many procedures written to accomplish the above.